[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 39

File: artyom-kim-dvalin-kim-2-s.jpg (179KB, 678x1000px) Image search: [Google]
artyom-kim-dvalin-kim-2-s.jpg
179KB, 678x1000px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54726675

What's your party like, /5eg/?
>>
I'm trying out a high Str and Cha fiendpact warlock focusing on green-flame blade, fiendish vigor, armor of shadows and armor of agathys for the time being. Wish me luck, bros.
>>
>>54735968
Dragonborn "Bard"
Drow Druid
Human Rouge
Human Anti-paladin
Gnome Pally
Tiefling Monk
>>
>>54735968
>What's your party like, /5eg/?
Prone to infighting and explosions. One usually leads to the other.
>>
>>54735968
Human Mystic *dead*
Elf Arcane Archer
Gnome Evocation Wizard
Dwarf Tempest Cleric
Half Elf Wild Magic Sorcerer

The Mystic died to a random encounter, not anything crazy, just walking through a shortcut in the woods and got shwacked.
>>
>>54736029
Temp HP from Armor of Agathys and False Life don't stack. Just be aware of that.
>>
>>54735968
>What's your party like
I'm the DM, and currently my party is just finishing up LMoP. The party is currently:

Half-Elf Moon Druid (only surviving member of the original level 1s)
Gnome Kensai Monk (previous character was an Elf Wild Magic Sorcerer, killed by Flameskull's fireball)
Red Dragonborn Lore Bard (first character was a Human Warlock, killed by Bugbear at level 1; second was Blue Dragonborn Battlemaster Fighter, killed by same Flameskull's fireball)

Then there are two new characters who will be introduced next session:

Human Oath of Redemption Paladin (previous character was a Drow Assassin Rogue, killed by bugbears in Wave Echo Cave)
Goliath Berserker Barbarian (my old GM, just now joining the campaign)

There are also two players that are no longer in the game. One was in the original party playing a Halfling Assassin Rogue who left the game because he didn't realize Halflings were short (???) and then there was a Human Cleric who lasted one session when the party almost TPK'd against the Orcs and Ogre at Wyvern Tor. He left after that.
>>
>dragonborn paladin who was pulled out of retirement and acts like a gruff grumpy dad
>dwarf war cleric who tries to roleplay but can't convey much more depth than "likes to fight"
>halfling lore bard with sticky fingers who probably should have just rolled a rogue
>>
>>54736100
>(only surviving member of the original level 1s)

Is LMoP really that brutal?
>>
>>54735968
Dragonborn Lore Bard who is mentally a child and chaotic stupid. The most annoying person to roleplay with, but can bring some admittedly humourous moments into our game.
Half-elf Eldritch Knight who's socially awkward and is pretty much just a kick-backer who follows us all around.
Gnomish Forest Druid who is a cutesy know-it-all. Often becomes the face of the party.
Drow Gunslinger (Mercer's Homebrew) who ditched his home. One of the smarter characters, but is pretty merciless and would rather outright kill people that the rest of the party wants to take hostage.
Human Battlemaster who is the other party face when the druid isn't stepping up. Sort of the "dad" of the group, neutral good and keeps them all in check. The player knows the mechanics the best of anyone else and thus carries in combat a lot, but he's a bit of a rules lawyer.
>>
>>54736168
There are certain places that are pretty deadly. My party basically limped away and there would have been a few tpks if not for a semi competent cleric.
>>
File: Init.pdf (135KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Init.pdf
135KB, 1x1px
>>54735968
Anyone tried these initiative rules? Thoughts?
>>
>>54735968
DMing for two parties RN and playing in a third.

Group 1:
>Dumb-as-fuck but very polite LG Goliath Storm Herald Barbarian
>Determined, skilled, and famous CN Human Sharpshooter Fighter
>Bibliokleptomaniac CE Tiefling Phoenix Sorcerer
>Amiable, wisecracking, bounty hunter of a TN Half-elf War Cleric

Group 2:
>Motherly veteran LG human Bear Totem Barbarian
>Deluded, hallucinating, and devout NE human Vengeance Paladin who thinks he's LG
>Paranoid, shy, thinks-he's-a-wizard NG human Wild Magic Sorcerer
>now-deceased wallflower TN goblin alchemist artificer
>chip-on-her-shoulder fleeing-from-past CN aasimar inquisitor rogue (I have concerns about this one)

Group I'm going to be playing in:
>Proud tribal warrior LN half-orc tempest cleric 2/storm sorcerer X
>crotchety old witch of a moon druid
>rogue with a yet-unknown race and subclass.
>>
>>54736249
Stop shilling your shit, Mearls. I hope we get to see a real arcana tomorrow.
>>
>>54736168
Not really. The Warlock died in Cragmaw Cave because he ventured off into the cave alone and ran into the Bugbear, which of course killed him mercilessly. The second of the original group of 4 left the game, so his character died for story reasons. The third of them died to a Flameskull's fireball because it rolled 31 damage and everyone failed their Dex save - it almost TPK'd, but the Druid survived with 3 HP from wild shape and managed to heal the Rogue and they barely managed to escape.
>>
>>54736168
It can be. Bugbears are CR1 all by themselves and they show up in packs in Wave Echo Cave. Flameskulls' Fireball does 8d6 on a failed save. That could ohko an entire team if it rolls high and they miss the save.
>>
>>54736264
kek , legit curious and trying to convince my DM to try this next week (maybe we will do some simulation type fights) so wanted to get some feedback
>>
Can temp HP from multiple sources stack? For example, the Glamor Bard in my party has Mantle of Inspiration, and she's thinking of grabbing inspiring leader as well.
>>
When a grave cleric heals someone at 0, they always get the maximum amount from the spell.
Does this mean it's actually worth running up to someone and casting cure wounds and higher level healing, or would you say you are still best just throwing out a healing word?
>>
>>54736321
No, temp HP specifically says you can only choose one source.
>>
File: medieval-europe.jpg (100KB, 884x643px) Image search: [Google]
medieval-europe.jpg
100KB, 884x643px
Have you ever played or ran a campaign set on Earth? How did it go?

I'm planning on running one set during the 6th - 7th century full to the brim with European legends and fairy-tale wonder.
>>
>>54736334
Thanks dawg
>>
File: centaur-token-ryan-barger.jpg (106KB, 668x900px) Image search: [Google]
centaur-token-ryan-barger.jpg
106KB, 668x900px
I'm running a game in a homebrew setting that is very Eternia / Sword & Planet style.

How would you introduce centaurs or have an adventure that heavily features them?

Bonus Question for new thread: We use side initiative, which has opened up some really cool tactical options for both me and the players. What's a tactic badass warmonger Centaurs would use, or do you have any cool monster/encounter ideas in general that could really benefit from this style of combat?
>>
>>54735968
V. Human Wolf Totem Barb (Myself)
V. Human WoTFE Monk (Uses Sterling Vermins remix of it. Our That Guy many many many times over. Will save space and not detail.)
Human Valor Bard (Buffs party, throws occasional vicious mockery or hideous laughter. I don't think they've ever made a weapon attack.)

Rest of the party uses homebrew races from, I believe, Kobold Presses stuff.

Minotaur WoTFE Monk (Player works out of town all the time, so is super infrequent about being available. Character blinks in and out of reality as a result).

(Basically) Kenku Arcane Trickster. Has a pet mouse named "Snack".

Some sort of... Shadow-Fey-Elf, noble Moon Druid. Apparently descendant of some major house / noble family or something, but grew up in the woods.

Some sort of "Djinn-born" UA Hunter Ranger.

For most part I like the group (excluding the That Guy), but its WAY TOO FUCKING BIG. We started with four folk (Barbarian/Rogue/Druid/Minotaur Monk), somehow gained the Bard, then we pulled the That Guy so the DM would be able to reliable make it, and then randomly had the Ranger join. I wish I could describe the *characters*, but we have damned little ability to roleplay anything since the That Guy has joined, and its become a fever paced rollplay rail road mainly spent keeping the That Guy in check - so I mainly just have characterizations from the first few sessions.

Outside of that: People don't really understand their characters, or how the game works, at all. I tried to help people figure stuff out, but at this point I'm just sitting back and only interjecting when people specifically ask for stuff. DM probably has best understanding of rules in the group, but he is definitely wonky on some details.

I just wish the group was smaller, people knew how the game worked / how to play their characters, and we had a chance to roleplay.
>>
>>54736372
>centaurs
name another quality race that has been destroyed by furfags and edgelords
>>
>>54736341
If your campaign doesn't feature Cú Chulainn then you're doing your campaign a disservice.
>>
>>54736394
thank you based reddit spacing 15 year old
>>
>>54736372
I don't know what Eternia or Sword/Planet is, but you could easily have centaurs do hit and run attacks (They ride up to you and attack as they pass by or something), or have two ride up with a rope and clothesline someone, and then another following the group run them over. Or, hell, just have them attack with a net, and if they succeed then they can drag their victim off.
>>
>>54736341
Seconding CuChulainn the guy was fucking great
>>
>>54735968
Half-Elf Arcane Trickster soon to multiclass into Bard
Changeling Fiend Warlock
Human Paladin of Devotion
Dragonborn Champion
Dragonborn Sorcerer
>>
>>54736402
That sucks, but I assure you these are not misunderstood noble savages, they're more the oh shit GTFO machines of war are incoming type.
>>
>>54736453
>>54736415
Cu Chulainn was first century
>>
>>54736372
You could try researching cavalry tactics.
>>
>>54736402
You mean the race that was originally described as pretty decent (if chaotic) dudes who get rapey when drunk attracted furfags and edgelords?

Next you're going to say that race of bullmen who were described as needing to fuck human women to perpetuate their otherwise all male race attracted those groups too.
>>
>>54736484
The earliest known mention of Cú Chulainn was from the 7th century though.
>>
>>54736029
Just play a paladin.
>>
File: Minotaurus.jpg (147KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Minotaurus.jpg
147KB, 900x600px
>>54736539
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>54735968

Elf Ranger Commando who acts as the party's de facto leader and face. Provides most of the tactical decisions for the party.

Dwarf Oath of the Guardian Paladin who serves as the party's moral and physical backbone. Has a close friendship with the Elf Ranger (Think Gimli and Legolas), but is protective of the entire party.

Human Eldritch Knight who is mostly a roguish type that drinks a lot. Acts as a secondary face for the party and brings laughter.

Orc Bear Barbarian who hits like a ton of bricks, but is slightly less intelligent than one. Is a bit of a wild card socially but is dependable in battle.

Loxodon Life Cleric who attracts interested gazes wherever the party travels. Is very apt at healing magic and keeps the party nice and ready for the troubles of travel.

We are all IRL friends and try to do our sessions in person so we get along pretty well.
>>
>>54735968
I'm not entirely sure yet. Both adventures haven't started, but here's the rundown:

Group where I'm a player:
-Dragonborn Fighter, LG (me)
-Human Barbarian, CE
-Kenku Rogue, CN
-(insert race) Wizard, ???
Our first game will be next Sunday. Two of the people I have never played with before. I know the group will be dealing with some monster invasion---two of us are volunteers in this international army and the other two are prisoners forced into service. I'm expecting the barbarian and I to clash.
I'm not sure about the wizard since I don't see the guy often, and the DM didn't remember anything except he was a wizard. He changed character concepts a few times, though (was a bard, then a sorcerer, then settled on wizard). The player never played a caster before.

Group where I'm DMing (Dark Sun):
-Thri-Kreen Ranger
-Hafling Rogue
-???
-???
We haven't gotten to making characters yet since I'm still brewing up stuff to make everything setting appropriate. As a DM, I'm hoping that this group learns to cooperate to survive together, or betrays each other for personal survival.
>>
>>54736542
The Ulster cycle takes place in the 1st century
>>
So, is the trove dead?

It keeps timing out.
>>
Can anyone recommend any published campaigns from older/other editions that have been refitted for 5e? I know there's some guy working on porting Rise of the Runelords but it's not done yet.
>>
>>54736315
I'm keeping it for duels. A DM shouldn't need to roll that much for initiative.
>>
>>54736539
>You mean the race that was originally described as pretty decent (if chaotic) dudes who get rapey when drunk attracted furfags and edgelords?
total asspull, centaurs have not been described this way in any classic setting
>>
>>54736668
Yes, I'm aware. I'm simply giving a loophole to include one of Europe's best mythological figures into the campaign. Calm your autism.
>>
>>54736688
Pretty sure everything in Tales from the Yawning Portal is rebuilt adventures. Curse of Strahd is the old Ravenloft campaign.
>>
>>54735968

>>Lawful stupid but awesome Dwarven Paladin.Has actually learned that he cant win every fight on his own
>>Lawful Evil Tiefling FiendTomeLock Nobleman.Magnificent Bastard and party leader
>>Frying pan wielding Fighter lady in her first TTRPG. Shes doing her best
>>Greedy neutral evil Assassin badly converted from some 4E shit.Still a cool guy for a wererat
>>Any of a plethora of female characters played by gender confused millennial who sucks at building characters and roleplaying. Still surprisingly tolerable

Overall not bad
>>
File: sad nanachi.png (230KB, 565x640px) Image search: [Google]
sad nanachi.png
230KB, 565x640px
>>54736680
>/5eg/ kills literally every trove link, including ones that have previously been up for years
>>
>>54736688
If you're talking about who I think you are, he might have stopped ROTRL for Skulls and Shackles.

But we need more modules regardless
>>
>>54736749
I mean, it's a trove of pirated material that gets posted in the OP of every /5eg/ thread. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
>>
>>54735968
I'm the DM, setting is homebrewed 60% Forgotten Realms, 40% He-Man.

> Human Hunter from rich family who likes to cook.
> Elf Devotion Pally of Bahamut who's a walking paladin trope
> Dwarf Druid who does a buddy cop routine with the bard/rog
> Half-Drow Bard/Rog who's in a secret organization with the druid
> Warforged Artificer who's basically a Terminator
> Crabman Samurai who wields a giant anchor as a weapon

It's actually pretty fun, including one episode where we hosted a mock trial because the party couldn't decide on what to do with prisoners, and left it up to a village to vote.
>>
>>54735968
Skeleton Artificer/Rogue
Lizardfolk Rogue
Human Mystic
Orc cleric
Human Thief/Librarian
High Elf Wizard
>>
So for my homebrew world I've made like 7 continents or some shit, and I want the players to visit each one once, while spacing it out between levels so they get a balanced and equal amount of exposure to each continent, and the campaign starts at level 3. at what levels should I have them move from continent to continent to keep it balanced?
>>
>>54736249

It's useless.. Mearls has a distinct tendency to take something that works, in this case Clockwork Initiative, and then change shit to make it "his" version like a dog pissing on something to claim it. Unfortunately, that just ends up with something that still isn't his and is now covered with piss.
>>
File: Oceans-11.jpg (500KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Oceans-11.jpg
500KB, 1920x1080px
>>54736894
That is a lot of Rogues.
>>
>>54736688
I think Goodman Games licensed some more Dungeon Crawl classics.
>>
File: crabman2.jpg (39KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
crabman2.jpg
39KB, 360x480px
>>54736888
>Crabman

What stats do you use?
>>
>>54737044
it depends on the reason why they would want to move from continent to continent in the first place, if you don't force them to automatically move if they reached a level threshold, they may overstay and prefer to just sit comfortably on one continent that they reach.
>>

Half Elf Bard
Elf Druid
Gnome Wizard
Halfling Rogue
Human Paladin

We are all from some spirit realm and have been send into the mortal plains to collect life force to send back to our home world, none of us know anything about the real world so It's kind of tedious acting "surprised" and "fascinated" at basic things.

Right now we are just wandering aimlessly in the goblin mountains invading caves and accidentally rescuing civilians from cultists.
>>
>>54737056
>something that works, in this case Clockwork Initiative,

So, my group thought combat trudged along, got kinda boring, and took forever. We tried Side Initiative (from the DMG), and so far everyone's loving it, including the DM.

> It's faster. Instead of each turn taking 5 minutes, a group turn takes about 8
> It opens up more opportunities for combos, tactics, and maneuvers.
> DM can get more creative with not just the setup of an encounter, but monster tactics as well.

What I do is roll initiative for the monsters, and if half the players roll higher initiative, players go first; otherwise monster goes first. Reactions work the same. Lair actions happen at the top of the round. Legendary actions can be used to interrupt whenever I feel like (limit 3 / turn still).

> "But anon, it's heavily advantaging the players / whoever goes first."

I haven't felt like that's been a problem yet. Going in I knew that was concern for my players, but I've planned out some more dynamic encounters, and we've yet to run into that as a problem.
>>
>>54736249
I'm gonna share something with everyone that will fix initiative. Ready?

Seriously, hold on to your ass-cheeks.

DnD initiative. With an easy to manipulate initiative tracker. Re-roll before every round.

Boom. There you go. Initiative is fixed.
>>
>>54735968
Changeling Bard
Air Genasi Cleric
High Elf Sorcerer
Dragonborn Rogue
Tiefling Rogue
Half Elf Druid
Goliath Witch Hunter
Wood Elf Fighter
>>
So I fucked up while RPing an NPC and told my players that the NPC saw "a gold dragon emerge from a lake".

Players are going to go investigate it, but I don't feel like running a gold dragon or an adventure to go along with it. What are some good replacements or other monsters that the NPC could have drunkenly mistaken for it or could / would generate an illusion like that?
>>
>>54737375

> generate an illusion like that?

An asshole gnome who likes fucking with people.
>>
>>54737375
wyvern would be an obvious alternative
>>
What are some fun but ultimately useless flavour bits from your characters back story?
My human Battlemaster got really drunk, stumbled into the woods and found himself in the feywilds where he had a one night stand with a Faun. When he emerged back into the material plane, he had been gone for a month even though he was only in the feywilds for a single night.
>>
>>54737375

Is there any way you could discredit the NPC in game? Like say that he's the town drunk or something?
>>
Does anybody have any experience using the madness rules from the DMG? I'm thinkink about using it in my upcoming Strahd campaign.
>>
File: 1497035686719.jpg (372KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
1497035686719.jpg
372KB, 854x859px
What's my party like, you ask? They won't fucking show up to the game.
>>
>>54735968
Human Champion Fighter/barbarian
Elf Moon Druid
Half-elf Diviner Wizard/cleric
Elf Deep Stalker Ranger
Aasimar Devotion Paladin

They are really REALLY strong and hard to kill. But that's a good thing.
>>
>>54737375
There is no dragon, but there are fields of magical drugs in the area that the NPC unwittingly inhaled. The players run into the people planning to harvest it and have some trippy illusions.
>>
>>54737375
The gold dragon emerged from the lake. That doesn't mean he's still there. Say he was treasure-hunting in some sunken ruins.
>>
>>54737419
I like that. I might go with something similar.

>>54737437
Wyvern could be a good choice as a pet to a bigger baddie

>>54737493
Not really, the NPC is kinda reputable which is why the players are quick to investigate.

>>54737513
I can DEFINITELY work this in, too.

>>54737567
I just don't want to deal with metallic dragons in this part of the world.
>>
>>54737375
Illusion produced by a water-dwelling creature that requires victims to approach the shore to kill them or something simple like that.
>>
File: 14929965229611.jpg (71KB, 720x490px) Image search: [Google]
14929965229611.jpg
71KB, 720x490px
>>54737182
Eh, I'd just dump initative rolls all together. Dex is strong enough as it is. Have the party go first unless surprised.

I throw in a couple if sacrificial front line monks due to the guaranteed first turn.
Makes combats more, epic, faster, and tactical.
>>
>>54737646
mind flayers, man. the NPC was bait for a lake death cave.
>>
File: sacredforest_wip02.jpg (86KB, 1110x499px) Image search: [Google]
sacredforest_wip02.jpg
86KB, 1110x499px
>>54737492
I made up a custom that the elf clan my character comes from has a practice of burying the clan's dead and planting trees over them, or burying them under the roots of existing trees. The places they do this are considered sacred "spirit groves" under the belief that some of the soul of those buried there grows into the tree, and that it's a place where the living can come make their peace or meditate for advice from their ancestors.

It's mostly irrelevant as my character has never gone there seeking visions or anything, but she has given the other members of a party cuts of her hair, with the instruction to bring them back and bury them in her clan's grove, in the event that she dies and they're unable to recover her body.
>>
>>54737375
Just make it a wizard who uses the golden dragon illusion shit as a scam to try to convince people to give him money or something.
>>
>>54735968
>elf assassin who's one step away from betraying everyone, given the chance.
>goliath battlemaster, ex-slave with no class conscience, no empathy, expecting a paycheck for his bounty hunter job that he's probably never gonna get
>yuan-ti slave forge cleric, doing the job so he can keep his family save, as they are being held captive by his owner
>hobgoblin conjurer wizard, the "red man from another land", who's in it to study dem cosmic energies, is very pragmatic and has no time for your fucking drama (me).

We're stuck in a railroad dungeon - ancient "library" - for 4 sessions and still haven't found any books. Wizard's getting angry.
>>
>>54737762
That's pretty much exactly what I'm going with. The NPC found it because he came upon some centaurs uncharacteristically carrying gold / jewels through the woods, dropping it off at a lake, and a gold dragon emerged and took it with him.

Now to flesh out the wizard / con-man who's doing it, and why.
>>
>>54737101
I was planning on a classic "you must collect <mcguffin/important npc> in order to stop the BBEG" and having one on each continent.
>>
>>54737833
Scooby doo that shit up
>Party discovers it's a wizard
>Find out that there's a dungeon under the lake with "untold riches" or some shit
>wizard is trying to find a way in, dragon money is both intimidation and funds for whatever until then.
Then you can either have the dungeon be a trap for the wizard to try to kill the PCs for discovering the scam or make it an actual dungeon for them to explore alongside the wizard paying them as escorts.
>>
How long does it take to make a cannon, if you only have iron ore? One of my party member want to do it for some weird reason.
>>
>>54737914
>Find out that there's a dungeon under the lake with "untold riches" or some shit

Yeah, one of the reasons I'm avoiding doing a dragon under the lake schtick is because we literally just did something very similar a few sessions back. I might make the edge of the water the edge of an illusion and make it a wizard tower or ziggurat or something. I do like the rest of that though, and am wholesale stealing it.
>>
>>54737982
Crafting stuff is crafted in increments of 50GP worth of work per week IIRC. So find the value of a cannon, divide it by 50, and that's how many weeks it takes to make a cannon. I think.
>>
>>54737982
How big of a cannon are we talking about?

Handheld handgonne type thing? Horse drawn siege type thing? Dardanelles gun tier bombard weighing around 38 thousand pounds?
>>
If we're a Battlemaster and multiclassed into Paladin to get thunderous smite could I theoretically Crit someone with a Greatsword+maneuver+smite to deal 8d6+2d8 damage in a single attack?
>>
File: Wizard_Male.jpg (204KB, 1163x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard_Male.jpg
204KB, 1163x1600px
I'm thinking of running a Wizard who had a background as a duelist.

What feats/spells/etc would make sense for a spellcaster like that, who was good at 1v1 combat?
>>
I'm starting up a campaign pretty soon at level 3. I figured I'd start as a Half Elf and put my first three levels into Warlock, grabbing Pact of the Tome and the Fiend.
I'm going to take Shillelagh for one of the cantrips so that I can be a Bladelock without being MAD. I figured it would be pretty cool too. I plan on taking the next two levels in Devotion Paladin so that I can get smites and extra CHA damage on my attacks (I'm also considering going up to level 5 so I can get multiattack) I also want the Dueling fighting style that it gives you.
From that point on, I don't know what to get. I also don't know what Invocations to grab from my Warlock levels.
What do you think /5eg/? Did I do a good?
>>
>>54738347
Yes
>>
File: 5b9fdc7342530a33f68acd9a86b4b981.jpg (44KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5b9fdc7342530a33f68acd9a86b4b981.jpg
44KB, 1000x1200px
Can a broom of animated attack from CoS make a dash action with a Barovian Witch riding it? They are the only ones who can ride them and technically they count as a creature so...? Is dash-flying a thing in 5e?
>>
File: 1485466589065.jpg (19KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
1485466589065.jpg
19KB, 209x241px
When you have a party of seven PCs and then three NPCs, two of which are at least a few levels higher than all of us (level 4).
>>
>>54738460
You can dash no matter how you're moving - walking, flying, swimming, etc.
>>
>>54738460
Think of dashing as taking the time to actually move more, instead of simply moving quickly.
>>
DMing in 30 minutes and I'm not ready at all lmao
>>
>>54738569
Good luck. Tell us how it goes.
>>
>>54738569
I believe in you anon
>>
>>54735968
So I just been asked if I want to try a level 20 game with the idea of "killing gods", unrestricted non-al stuff, UA is allowed.

Part of me doesn't want to, part of the fun is the challenge and progression that comes from lower levels and leveling up and the excitement of getting new powers, etc. Not sure what to do.

If I do go, do I make a mystic and bust it wide open?
>>
>>54738148
Probably a ship cannon?
>>54738075
A Wizard can do it in 10 minutes as always. Every peasant should learn how to magic.
>>
>>54738569
Don't worry, I guarantee your players aren't ready either
>>
>>54738439
You are doing okay. Arcana Cleric is a better Shillelagh machine though.
>>
>>54738591
>>54738595
>>54738614
Thank you anons. Will post a story if anything good happens.
>>
>>54738372
Well, uh, bladesinger subclass, War Caster feat, possibly Mobile as well. As for spells, depends on the level. Obviously Shield, but then there's stuff like expeditious retreat, magic weapon, Haste...
>>
>Official maps are hard to align on Roll20
>Using the Roll20 tools to draw results in Ms-paint tier maps
What's the best compromise?
>>
>>54736249
I prefer 'slot' initiative, as you might see in Edge of the Empire.
Everybody rolls for initiative as per usual, but that's not *your* initiative. Each result is one of your side's initiative count. Anybody can use that initiative count, even the big slow Barbarian, if you just agree he should go first.
You can change who uses which slot as you like from round to round.

Speedy, flexible, let's people do some interesting things, and it makes Dexterity a bit less important overall so long as at least one or two people have a good Dex score or other initiative bonus (which will virtually always be the case). It also makes things like Grappling or Shoving more interesting, to boot.
>>
What's the easiest way to create or control Shadows? I'm planning a fight with a guy, who's pretty much impossible to beat without Strength damage cheese.
>>
>>54738715
Little bit of A, little bit of B.
>>
>>54738749
Light cantrip makes shadows, alternatively just light a torch
>>
>>54738715
Tilesets to build maps
>>
>>54738715
>>Using the Roll20 tools to draw results in Ms-paint tier maps
As someone who's only ever played with miniatures on vinyl, dry-erase grid mats it's pretty much normal to me.

Assuming it already has a grid as part of the art just turn the grid off. You'll have to make sure tokens are aligned manually and that the scale is set properly for when you need to use the measuring tool, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>>
>>54737982
First ask yourself if your setting has cannons

And then ask the player why he doesn't just buy one
>>
Resuming an old campaign in September, but this time we'll be using Tabletop Simulator for it. How well does TTS work for D&D?
>>
>>54738347
Just use your divine smite on crits dumb ass
>>
>>54738808
Depends how much effort you're willing to put in.
The tile sets and fiddly bits in TTS are amazing if you're willing to plan them out and put them together, but because it was built firmly on the foundation that "simulator games should function the way you'd expect it to function in real life where everyone has jello for arms." it can be annoying to get things just right without prep time and knowledge of how the board likes to fuck you based on what settings you have enabled/disabled.
>>
>>54738813
So 6d8+4d6 with a 1st level slot
Even better
>>
>>54738628
Why's that? I don't really have an intention on switching over, but I'd love to know if I ever want to do it again.
>>
>high-elf Evocation Wizard, fluffed as a magical-girl with a bow
>var. human ranged battlemaster, ex-army captain
>var. human Wild Magic sorc, librarian meme and we made her stuff key off of INT as opposed to CHA for flavour
>var. human Devo pally, DEX-based spear and shield (me)
>var. human Vengeance pally who refluffed the maul as cestii, also my pally's brother and literal beefcake

>inb4 variant human memes
It's a human-centric campaign and no one picked the meme feats because they're all new players minus the wizard
>>
>>54738894
I'd play in it
>>
>>54738865
1) You are still a full caster without delay progression

2) You got medium armor and shield proficiency without multiclassing

3) Shillelagh + Booming Blade (or GFB) = 2d8+2WIS damage on hit and more damage on triggering effect. Since Arcana Cleric add WIS damage to their cantrip

4) You still have bonus action to attack with spiritual weapon for another 1d8+WIS

5) You can do all that while concentrate on Spirit Guardian for another 3d8
>>
>>54738857
> average 41
> use all his spell resource
>>
>>54738987
Wow that is pretty good, I'll look into it for next time. Thank you for enlightening me.
I just figured that smites and extra attack would've been better and Charisma is an easier stat to come across. That's pretty cool
>>
>>54738894
>var. human Devo pally, DEX-based spear and shield (me)

How's that working out for you? I have a hardon for spear/shield users.

>high-elf Evocation Wizard, fluffed as a magical-girl with a bow
Has this been entertaining or cringy?
>>
>>54738628
>>54738987
Wait, how do you get Shillelagh then? Do you take one level in Druid at some point to pick it up? You can't get it from Nature Cleric if you're going Arcana Cleric.
Am I dumb and not seeing something, or am I dumb because that was obvious?
>>
>>54739342
Magic Initiate feat
>>
Speaking of wizard duelist, what would be the best 1v1 class (for every level)?

Moon Druid?
Bladesinger stocking nothing but Counterspell and save or dies?
>>
>>54739383
Moon Druid at level 2, since that's when you get your shapeshifting
At higher levels, I'd go with Monk due to Stunning Strike and Flurry of Blows
>>
>>54739352
Oh ok, that makes sense.
I must have gotten tunnel vision at some point because I wanted to start off using my Shillelagh instead of waiting for level 4. I suppose taking it from Variant Human, but then your Wisdom is lower than it could be with the Warlock build.

As an aside, I keep seeing people talking about the Bladelock. Is it better to pick up Pact of the Tome and grab Shillelagh than go Bladelock? Is there a consensus on this yet or is it mostly personal preference?
>>
>>54737739

You. I like you.
>>
File: image.jpg (422KB, 880x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
422KB, 880x1080px
When do you think we'll get more expanded monster manuel stuff? Looking back 3.x and 4e had tonss of stuff. Any tips on conversions?
>>
>>54737492
The last character I played was a gunslinger with two brothers. When they were kids they got into a family feud that has lasted well into the adult years. Now there is an unending competition to become the "best" whether it mean amassing huge amounts of gold, creating the next best weapon, or going down in history as the greatest adventurer to ever live.

He is the only one in his family that actually remembers this and the others have moved on. One is a farmer with a wife and kids. The other became a guard in a nearby city and died in battle but nobody told my character until he went to his other brother's farm to gloat.
>>
File: gud.png (67KB, 264x282px) Image search: [Google]
gud.png
67KB, 264x282px
>>54737492
>>54737739
>>54739607

More of these, please, they're good inspiration.
>>
>>54739557
Volo's is exactly that.
3.x had a lot of bloat due to really niche books, and the sheer amount of them. 5e is trying to avoid that.

What tips exactly, there's plenty of official WOTC content that tells and shows you how to convert, as well as homebrew content that does it for you.
>>
>>54739557

Didn't they release extra monster manuals for 4e largely because the first book's monsters had too much HP padding? And frankly, 3.x had more books than any one system will probably ever need.
>>
>>54739639
I've got loads. Do you want to hear about my ranger, barbarian, or the very first cleric I ever played?
>>
>>54739476
They're functionally different.

Bladelock is STR or DEX primary (STR works better) with CHA as a secondary stat. A melee fighter (in fact, taking your first level in Fighter is pretty much mandatory for CON, armor and shield proficiencies) with supplementary offensive and defensive abilities through casting. Armor of Agathys, Dark One's Blessing, Fire Shield, Eldritch Blast for a decent ranged option, power spike at Warlock 12 with +CHA to damage. It works.

Shillelagh Tomelock has a decent melee trick with Shillelagh + GFB/BB, but their AC is going to be ass and later on the trick isn't going to stay competitive with dedicated combatants - or, looking at it from a different angle, Eldritch Blast will almost always be the superior option, so you're taking up 2 of your valuable cantrip slots for a niche gimmick.

*That said*, CHA Shillelagh synergizes exceptionally well with Paladin, and also works with Sorcerer multiclasses (as either a melee option or say a Stone Sorcerer gish build).
>>
>>54739680
Lets go with Cleric for 500.
>>
>>54739696
I wasn't allowed to use Stone Sorcerer, or I would have. We already have a Sorcerer in the party anyway, and with two Rangers and an Eldritch Knight on our team as well, I figured it was alright for me to play around a little and experiment.
I was originally going to go with a Bladesinger from Sword Coast, but wanted to see if I could be one stat dependent.
I like where I came out with it, but I'm sure that if I wanted to make it again, I would go with Arcana Cleric. Thank you for having this little chat with me, I've enjoyed myself.
>>
>>54739227
>devo pally
It's working pretty well, I'm focusing on CHA because we don't have a party face since the Sorc is INT-based. Also my DM let me use a spear as a versatile weapon because I was locked into the stats and still wanted to hoplon (which is what my shield is styled after).

>evo wizard
It isn't cringe at all, I kind of mispoke because of how her bow (which is a family heirloom inherited from her grandmother) is essentially her spellbook/spell focus, so it's very much like a magical girl's scepter or whatever. Honestly it's functionally similar to a bladelock, and the spells she learns as she levels are decrypted from the runes inset into the bow.

Also she has a rivalry with the battlemaster in a "I shoot better than you" kind of way, so naturally the rest of the group ships them hard.
>>
>>54739700
She was a cleric who worshipped Hera (this was my first time playing D&D so I didn't know the pantheons and I only chose cleric because I had been taught by video games that you needed a healer in every party).
But I digress. She had taken to being a cleric because her husband was sick. She found out that he had caught the clap from a prostitute. Once she did, she slept with the same lady that he did, gave him back the std she just cured him of, cured herself and the whore, and dumped his sorry ass for a life of adventuring.
Whenever our fighter and bard went out carousing, I would follow them and cure people's aids and shit. If my teammates had been good (or if I was feeling nice) I would cure the girls before they had sex, cure them of their diseases, and the like. If I didn't feel like it that day, I would wait until they got the groin itch and then heal the girls.
It was a lot of fun to be team mom
>>
>>54738710
What is so good about the mobile feat?
>>
>>54735968
Dwarf Cleric
Dwarf Rogue
Half-elf Bard
Human Monk
>>
Hey, does anyone know of a cool dungeon with a divine theme and traps that are meant to judge your worth? Like the one from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
>>
>>54739935
Free disengage vs. as many targets as you have attacks
>>
Anyone else have trouble playing a paladin starting at low levels?

On top of the standard stuff that makes roleplaying a paladin hard, it seems to me that being a paladin should be a prestige class to work towards rather than something you start out as. I get that I could always start out as an inexperienced squire type, but I feel like that limits roleplaying opportunities even more.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 319330952583053314.png (44KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
319330952583053314.png
44KB, 128x128px
>Drawing map
>Go finish some mountains up in the north
>"Alright that place is done, on to the next"
>Zoom out, all my icons for trees, cities, towns, mountains, etc everywhere else on the map are gone
>Go to undo harder than a liberal who voted for trump "cause he'd never win" as a joke
>They don't come back
>Revert to old save
>That save was around 4 hours ago because I'm dumb and didn't think something like this would happen
>>
>>54740133
Depends on the flavor of it. Not all paladins work their way up the orders, some of them are one-man justice machines or even nutter fanatics who merely believe SO HARD that they're right/blessed with powers. Religious orders are a shortcut into that stuff, not the only path. Especially with some of the subclasses in 5e.
>>
>>54739935
"You are exceptionally speedy and agile. You gain the following benefits:
-Your speed increases by 10 feet.
-When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement on that turn.
-When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not."

Extra 10 feet of movement is pretty good, and the melee & no AoO is solid. Not the best feat, but not the worst.

For example, if you're a sorcerer with this feat and an enemy gets up in your face (not what you want as a sorc), you smack them with your action, run like fuck, and quickened-spell bonus action spell.
>>
File: aaa.png (16KB, 380x186px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.png
16KB, 380x186px
This is how you should DM
>>
>>54740133
I wouldn't know as I've only ever played pally from level 3 onwards. I would handle it as a guy who has spent years following religious teachings and such, much like a cleric. You have years of character backstory to work with, get creative.
>>
>>54740179
I personally use Mobile on my Monk right now. It's saved my and my party's bacon because I can go in, hit the monster a bit, then go out without getting hit hard.
>>
>>54740179
That's a stupid waste of both a feat and a sorcery point. A Storm Sorc just uses Tempestuous Magic to backpedal 10 feet AND cast a spell, saving the sp. Mobile is more valuable for characters that are going to be making attacks anyway, not the sorcerer who'd rather just disengage.
>>
>>54740179
With enough extra movement you can also get far enough away with hit and run tactics that some enemies can't attack you with the more conventional methods, but that's more of a monk or rogue thing (unless there's a good spell to use for this sort of thing anyway. I can only think of haste, which is sort of expensive just for that)
>>
File: GM accomodates Players.jpg (41KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
GM accomodates Players.jpg
41KB, 500x282px
>>54740191
>>
>>54740238
I actually agree with you entirely.

Especially because I'm playing a storm sorc.

I was the only use I could think of.
>>
>>54740238
>Mobile is more valuable for characters that are going to be making attacks anyway
>>54738372
>I'm thinking of running a Wizard who had a background as a duelist.
>What feats/spells/etc would make sense for a spellcaster like that, who was good at 1v1 combat?
>>
File: Rogue Lv5.jpg (1023KB, 1981x2213px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Lv5.jpg
1023KB, 1981x2213px
Got a question. Our party lost it's Fighter and Barbarian but gained an UA Ranger and a Bard so our party is now;

Ranger
Bard
Wizard
Druid (Moon)
Warlock
Rogue (me)

I used to just shoot arrows at whatever enemies our two solid melee guys were attacking but now our party is basically ranged. The DM gave me a stupidly powerful sword because I was trying to force the enemy to not just bum rush our casters.

I am going to be multiclassing into fighter at Lv6 and I am not sure what fighting style I should take; either two weapon fighter or dueling. It's either a +5 to my off hand (if I am using one) or a +2 damage and I keep my bonus action open.

Thoughts? I could multiclass into Paladin and smite shit with my sword...
>>
File: 1499842847252.jpg (479KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1499842847252.jpg
479KB, 1200x1650px
If I have a spell that lasts 1 minute, when I finish casting it that turn, do I effectively have 54 seconds (9 rounds) remaining on it, or still 60 (10 rounds)?
>>
>>54735968
Hey guys, I know this might count as spoon feeding but...

I'm trying to get into tabletop with some friends. I was told DnD5e is the best starting point for Tabletop in general and I'm super excited. I'm most interested in DMing while everyone else wants to be a PC, so it works out fine. 5 players, using Roll20 (suggested to me), with possibly discord as our voip.

I bought the 5E core book and sent a PDF copy to all of my players to read over while we set up. I also bought this kit called "DnD starter set" that comes with a quick start guide, minimalist ruleset, and a premade campaign (I think) called lost mine of Phandelver.

I wouldnt call myself a perfectionist, but I am nervous and I want to do the best job I can. I'm excited but...I don't want to mess up. I guess I'm just a bit worried about being bad and letting everyone down?

I've been lurking on /tg/ for about 5 months now and I've read a ton of threads and archived stuff about some issues and typical problems. Thankfully I've already sat everyone down to talk about goals, off limit topics, and pvp stuff. Everyone seems to be on the same page.

How else can I be prepared? Any HUGE tips I should have written down or tricks for Roll20 or just DnD over the internet in general? I have some ideas for my own spice for lost mine of phandelver, would anyone be interested in helping me hammer those out?
>>
>>54740146
F
I'm sorry for your loss. Hate it when that happens
>>
>>54740296
10 rounds
>>
>>54740298
>How else can I be prepared?
Keep links open to random name generators if you aren't confident in your ability to come up with random names for people off the top of your head.
>>
>>54740284
I vote dueling. Grab a shield for extra defense. Sneak attack can only happen once a turn anyway, so adding 2 AC and 2 to your damage isn't that bad. You want to save your bonus actions for stuff like Disengage so that you can back away since you are still relatively squishy. Just make sure that you can keep advantage on stuff somehow. Ask one of your casters to help you, or maybe the moon druid (who also makes a good tank) can get up there with you
>>
File: random encounter.jpg (119KB, 600x847px) Image search: [Google]
random encounter.jpg
119KB, 600x847px
>>54740191
I love tossing my character sheet in the trash before I've even had a chance to play my character.

I know you shouldn't give player characters plot-armor, but holy shit, killing them over a single failed save is retarded as fuck, especially in the first fucking room of a dungeon.
>>
So it's my first game but I'm pretty sure my DM is hero level.

His girlfriend joined as our 4th member and healer. We were in a town and he put her in a church we had to save from getting burned down from a little mini boss he inserted in the campaign. It took us around 3 hours to actually get there and by the time it was time for his GF to take a turn she just said "to be honest i haven't been paying attention for 3 hours i don't know what to do"

he promply tells her to watch the battle for the next 3 turns and when he comes back to her again she says the same shit. he proceeds to ignore her for the rest of the game and when the other players ask he just says she's hanging out.

Would you want to play for this guy?
>>
>>54740553
also have to note saving the church wasn't really railroaded at all, we just did it to be nice to the new player.
>>
>>54740553
>It took us around 3 hours to actually get there
I mean, that's kinda shitty. When a new player joins you want to introduce their character as soon as possible. Making them wait for hours is an easy way to gain their disinterest.
>>
What combination of rogue/mystic/monk/whatever makes the best ninja-like character?
>>
>>54740253
expeditious retreat, 1st level to dash as a bonus action.
>>
>>54740713
Shadow monk 6/Rogue X
>>
File: tooth-wu-madking33.jpg (176KB, 1600x1089px) Image search: [Google]
tooth-wu-madking33.jpg
176KB, 1600x1089px
What's the most creative character build you can come up with that isn't totally useless?
>>
>>54740747
Wizard 20
>>
File: Skeleton-at-computer.jpg (42KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton-at-computer.jpg
42KB, 600x400px
A character:

>is a career thief and burglar who sees no difference between plundering a dungeon and stealing from someone's home or pockets
>preys on the wealthy and "parasitic" merchant classes as well as aristocrats or particularly ostentatious middle class members
>is not a "Robin Hood" type. While they leave the poor alone they don't redistribute wealth or anything; they pocket all of their own profit
>avoids killing for practical reasons but absolutely does not hesitate to kill those who threaten their heists or schemes by threatening to expose or snitch on them
>believes that there are only two kinds of power, power that grows from the point of a knife and from the weight of a coin, and that the value of the former is the only thing that protects the value of the latter
>for this reason alone they believe they are above the law, and they dream of being the one who personally assassinates the reigning royal family, ending their imperialist reign and burying the "dogma" of nobility
>despite these hardline stances, they treat their allies like a grandmother would treat her children: they're loyal and resolute to their inner circle, and they leverag their money and power to protect and support their carefully chosen allies, even using their skills and (lack of) moral code to help in any way they can

what is this character's alignment, /tg/
>>
>>54740854
Chaotic Neutral
>>
>>54740854
>>54740880
Nah man, thats True Neutral
>>
File: 1498366194371.jpg (18KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1498366194371.jpg
18KB, 451x451px
>player constantly tries to bring untreated animal carcasses with them
>doesn't even use their own bag, uses someone else's bag of holding
>only roleplays decapitating said animals and likely soon to be people, along with stating the obvious
>party is supposed to be incognito
>player just now lobotomized an owlbear and is singing with its head and is about to head back to town with it
It's not wrong for this type of behavior to attract even more unwanted attention, is it? I don't want to be that DM but they didn't even bother attempting to stop the bleeding or wrap this shit up or anything.
>>
>>54740893
>Steals from rich because they have more money
>Doesn't care if it's a dungeon or a castle, it's full of money
>Will kill anyone who threatens their heist
>Wants to kill off the ruling family
This is absolutely chaotic neutral, it's valuing their own status, wealth, power, whatever over others.

A chaotic neutral character can have a group of people he still wants to protect. Just like how an evil character can try to help out his party of good characters. No sense in screwing the people you rely on to keep you alive, who rely on you to keep them alive
>>
>>54735968
True Neutral Forest Gnome Druid (me)
and 4 (3 for time being) people of various evilness
Drow Fighter
Female Human Gunslinger or something
and Warlock (I forgot the race)
Drow dislikes women, Gunslinger dislikes everyone not human. And here I am trying to stay neutral and avoid falling to simply evil. Last game we did a mission for trade house and killed a family in the mansion (and burned the mansion). Aside from normal people (men, children, women) who cant really fight there was one veteran who kicked my and gunslinger's (he's still trying to forge a rifle) shit in. Drow dragged us away after finishing veteran and one more guy.
>>
>>54740952
*3 (2 for time being)
fix
>>
>>54740930

If he wants to act like a fruit loop, maybe he should have to deal with the consequences of acting like a fruit loop. Unless the tone of the campaign encourages that sort of behavior.
>>
File: 1480271155527.jpg (115KB, 798x1074px) Image search: [Google]
1480271155527.jpg
115KB, 798x1074px
>>54740747

Int-lite Immortal Mystic? You only need Int for beating saves if you're targeting unwilling targets, you can take all the body-change disciplines instead and just pour all your points into Str/Dex/Con. It's like playing a Druid who can only wildshape.

>Why Str?

So you can grapple when you go Ogre form. Grapple Huge creatures like you don't give a fuck, because you don't.
>>
Can you play a sneak wizard in 5e?
>>
>>54740975
Yes, it's called being a wizard with training in stealth
Or being an arcane trickster
>>
>>54740977
sounds gay, I want to be a beguiler
>>
>>54740967
It does not, and a previous confrontation with this loopy behavior was met with them splitting from the party and ignoring the old man's lecture. I guess it's time to for everyone to get involved and hope they catch on that they're acting retarded.
>>
>>54739787
I'll be damned if this isn't cooler and funnier than any way I've ever thought to incorporate sex into a character before.
>>
>>54741057
At its core beguiler was just an illusionist or enchanter that puts points into sneaking better. If you wanted more focus on the sneaking part that's just literally the same as an arcane trickster
>>
>>54739383
Moon Druid, Mystic or Monk.
>>
Why are casters still the best option in this version? It's pretty boring playing anything that isn't a wizard/cleric/sorc/druid, you get shafted on the ability to do anything outside of combat, and even then the casters are so much more versatile in fights.
>>
>>54741217

It's an inherent limitation of how martials and casters are conceptualized in 3e/5e DnD; magic can be anything, mundane characters are limited by realism (to an extent).

5e is a little better in that the Battlemaster exists.
>>
>>54740298

Good luck Anon. Lost Mines is a fun way to start. Five months of prep is plenty.

Some tips from a 1.25ish year DM:

-Consider running a "demo" session where you just take 3 players through a free oneshot module you've found online. Have your players use prerolled characters, with the understanding tjat you're all just learning the ropes.
-DO NOT mind control a Player Character, or otherwise put the players in a situation where you take their agency away (This is a rule you *maybe* can break *on rare occasion* with *much* more experience, and with the specific consent of your players.)
- Establish the idea early and often that, while player characters *can* be assholes, the spirit of the game is primarily cooperative and collaborative in nature.
- You are 100% guaranteed to fuck up, somehow, and probably multiple times. Don't be too hard on yourself. Take note of what you can do better next time, and move on.
- Read the Monster blocks carefully ahead of time. Pay attention to vulnerabilities, resistances, special features, etc... It's easy to forget an important feature of a monster, especially in the rush of combat.
- Encourage your players to avoid meta-talk, and keep in-character. I learned the hard way that once you allow the players to talk OOC, they won't stop.

Would love to hear your plans for LMoP, Anon. What ya got planned?
>>
what do I do if I want to play as a cool cowboy
>>
>>54741217
Bard, Rangers and Paladins both have plenty of utility options, same as Rouge.

Fighter, Barbarian and Monk are the only ones without utility and even then you can get it.

A Fighter could use his bonus feats for something like Ritual Caster, Observant, Skill Feats, Linguest and etc. Really though most people who pick Fighter should realise going in that you characters main focus is Fighting.

Barbarian has issues with utility but the right Totem options help. Even then it's probably the worst.

Monk can do a fair bit of tricky stuff if your clever. Being able to run 200ft. up the side of a building, catch a projectile coming for you or just straight up ninja around is handy.

Even then it's pretty much at least a small issue in 99% of settings, if your the type of person who can put that aside and play a Fighter while having fun then good. If not then you're going to be playing Casters.

>>54741272
>Battlemaster
Stale meme, even Totem Barb's more fun.
>>
>>54740133
Start as a squire like a real knight would if your DM doesn't mind making an npc for you.
>>
>>54741282
Dual wield repeating hand crossbows
>>
>>54741282
Hand Crossbows, Sharpshooter/Crossbow expert
>>
>>54741282
Probably Ranger. Obviously use guns if they're a thing, but don't be the asshole who inflicts them on a setting where the DM never wanted them
>>
>>54740133
You don't get your spellcasting or fighting style until level 2 and you don't take your Oath until level 3. You have plenty of time to grow into the archetype.
>>
>>54740133
You could play up the fluff that the sacred oath class feature describes as working towards being a "real paladin" from levels 1-3
>>
>>54740298
The first step to not being shit is wanting to not be shit so you're already ahead of a lot of people who claim to DM in these threads. Accept the fact that DMing is a skill like any other and requires practice to get good at. Don't feel bad if you make a mistake, just do better next time. If you want some extra reading you can find the angry GM's articles on how to run a game and start there.
>>
File: jasonbreak2.gif (2MB, 320x321px) Image search: [Google]
jasonbreak2.gif
2MB, 320x321px
>>54740880
>>54740893
>>54740933

give me one good reason why it's not Neutral "what's in it for me" Evil.
>>
>>54740398
technically it was two failed saves
>>
>>54740854
>>54741491
Honor among thieves lawful evil
>>
File: spooks.jpg (76KB, 594x395px) Image search: [Google]
spooks.jpg
76KB, 594x395px
>>54741559

This character strikes me as a spook-smashing anarchist whose morals are guided only by what'll get them actual material power. "Honor" isn't one of those things, at least not among any group larger than their allies, which are probably kept just for companionship's sake (read: as a reason for the character to not be fucking over the party all the time, or to even be with them at all).

The methodology seems brutal, but indiscriminate, stealing from saints as well as sinners, but not for any political or moral agenda, just to hoard wealth and power, because fuck everybody else. I'd peg it as Chaotic Neutral, just for the sheer disregard, disdain, and dreams of destroying establishment power. The character seems opposed to "lawfulness" as the word is defined.
>>
>>54741652
>This character strikes me as a spook-smashing anarchist whose morals are guided only by what'll get them actual material power.
>Chaotic Neutral

isn't "might makes right" the definition of chaotic evil?
>>
File: yo23lp7hyf0z.png (2MB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
yo23lp7hyf0z.png
2MB, 1024x1280px
backstory ideas for an arcane trickster that sucks at his job?
>>
>>54739476
Why would Variant human has lower Wisdom?

15+1 = 16. Unless you want 17 CHA / WIS for some reason.
>>
>>54735968
Silver Dragonborn Battlemaster Fighter
Hill Dwarf UA Hunter Ranger
Wood Elf Moon Druid
Tiefling Arcane Trickster Rogue

They're all 5th level and just about to face a drow raiding party with a mage and elite warrior that previously fucked them up as they explored a dwarf ruin. If they win this time I'm thinking of having the mage attempt to improve invisibility and then alter self to attempt to disguise himself as one of their prisoners
>>
>>54739476
You do realize that you need 13 STR to qualify for your Paladin multiclass right? Warlock is the one wasting stat points. And you have to wait until Warlock level 3 for Shillelagh anyway while Varaint Human Arcana Cleric can start with it.
>>
>>54741746
>>54741652
just being against nobility and the current ruling class isn't even inherently chaotic. there could be more deeper bullshit in there but it's not anti-authority as-written. Sure it doesn't OBEY laws (outside the companion stuff) but that isn't the same as smash the state and certainly doesn't mean other people shouldn't obey them. Nothing implies there's some egoistic weak-should-fear-the-strong ideology there, if there were the rogues would not benefit and wealth would be worthless.
>>
>>54741765
>Wizard wannabe goin to wizard schoolz
>sucks at the magicks
>attempts to steal wizard teach spell secrets
>fails, is expelled
>Sucks at theivin, sucks at magic
>>
>>54740133
if your dm allows mulitclassing, which they should. Play as a fighter, then when you feel your character reaches spiritual enlightenment, then start taking paladin lvls.
>>
>>54735968
Current game: Curse of Strahd set in Innistrad using the plane shift book.
I'm playing a shifter bloodhunter (lycan)/barbarian (wolf totem) gestalt, inquisitor background. Descendant of the wolfir, trained by the church to hunt monsters and heretics.
My roommate is playing an aasimar paladin (devotion)/warlock (celestial) gestalt, acolyte background. An orphaned sickly child blessed directly by an archangel and as a result is a conduit for divine power.
Just the two of us have been sent to barovia to deal with it's vampire problem.
>>
Any ideas for random flavor bits to make town and villages more interesting?
The only idea I had was a kind of street proformer advertising the world's tallest dwarf. If the pc's investigate they can learn that it's just a human with a nice beard.
>>
>>54742001
Sounds like the world's most intelligent orc
>>
So how much changing would I have to do to redo my Avatar Mystic as a Warlord? I could always keep the flavor of psionics and just say he only does commanding focused psionics but that's lame.

So far I'm planning to only take Avatar disciplines, add extra attacks and remove Telepathy, Talents and Potent Psionics.

Does removing all those equal Extra Attack or should I look at maybe keeping Potent Psionics but making it 1d8 damage of whatever my weapon's type is?
>>
Aye guys, I got a question. I'm going to try and make a Wizard NPC for the party but I'm not sure what race it should be, or what kind.

I've never built a wizard.

We're running 3.5e but if you guys could give some pointers that'd be awesome.
>>
>>54742068
1. 3.5e sucks, stop playing it
2. play 5e
3. use stat blocks from Volo's Guide to Monsters, it has a huge range of caster NPCs.
>>
>>54740975
new Dark Souls bosses look pretty good
>>
>>54742109
We're already in game so I cant change edition.
>>
>>54741932

At best, it looks like "other people must obey the laws, so that I can break them advantageously." Like someone who sees themselves as above the system, so they distort it for their own gain, breaking any laws necessary in pursuit and defense of indiscriminate wealth.

What do you think it is? The character just seems too comfortable with stealing and even killing of innocents to be anything other than something evil.
>>
>>54742204
For-profit murdering, thats totally neutral. If the reasons for hitting the high class and nobles isn't purely self-interest then it'll lean one way or the other. Benefiting others: good, not benefitting self: evil.
>>
File: 1310671390981.jpg (5KB, 251x240px) Image search: [Google]
1310671390981.jpg
5KB, 251x240px
>>54735968
Wood elf - Druid of the moon
High elf - Arcane trickster
Human Paladin - Oath of Conquest
Half-Elf Paladin - Oath of Conquest

The look on the paladins faces when they figured out they both picked the same class and oath....priceless
>>
>>54742227
Killing people for money is not neutral
>>
>>54742227
>not benefiting others: evil

stealing and killing seem like things that do not benefit people who get stolen from and killed
>>
>>54742242
What about an executioner? Is that an inherently evil job? There's nothing implicitly evil about ending lives only the context matters.

>>54742251
reread
>>
>>54742203
why not? it might be painful for your players but it's just a bit of reading to adapt your 3.5e characters to 5e
>>
>>54737492
Playing a ancient/old warforge fighter who was built to protect a religious temple deep in the jungle. Due to some calamity 70+years ago (plague/raids/civilwars) the temple now lays in ruins. Suffering from numerous old wounds,weather exposure, amnesia, old age even for a warforge. He doesn't know why he still guarded the empty temple ruins for all those years, maybe only out of a sense of purpose. As he levels up, it isn't him learning new skills/getting stronger. Its him remembering old skills and slowly healing.
>>
>>54736040
>Gnome Pally
What ability is it focused on?
>>
Sorry if this is thread derailing, but, do anons think 5e could be used to run a Weird Western themed campaign setting?
>>
>>54742590
Depends on what you mean by "weird"
>>
>>54742603
Western themed setting with magic, monsters and other cattlepunk trappings, ala Deadlands or Spellslinger (a literal Weird West D&D setting for 3e).
>>
>>54742590
I guess it could, but things like wearing armor, using swords, and high magic stuff isn't really all that suited to weird west, so most of the classes would be a poor fit at best. You really are better off just running deadlands or something
>>
>>54735968
There's three of us-

First, a divine champion of the fire god Kossuth, from the Far East, maybe Thay- haven't asked. She's a half blood elf of all disgusting things. But she swings her apiky chain whip thing powerfully.

Second, an undead Goliath from the spine of the world mountains, who came to this city and fought in their warband, and was repaid by being treacherously slain and raised by a necromancer. He slew the necromancer with his new unholy powers, but remains dead, and now seeks to cure himself. This shows the perversity of city men- any witch that comes near me shall die before I suffer the same.

And last but greatest is I, last champion of the Howling Fist tribe, survivor of the disastrous war against Neverwinter! Born of orc and ogre, i am the mightiest of men, blessed by Baghtru with endless strength and protection against perverse thinking! With my body alone as my weapon and armor, I am easily the equal of any 10, no, any 100 warriors!
And yet my orcish fellows lost against the human warband- despite being weaker! I must know how this happened!
>>
>>54735968
Tiefling Paladin Oath of Vengeance
Dwarf fighter eldritch
Human Ranger Hunter
Half elf bard of valor
Half Elf abjuration
>>
>>54735968
Human Paladin
Human Ranger
Dragonborn Sorcerer
Human (Revenant) Fighter
Half-Elf Druid

It's been fun and interesting, while we often have disagreements (my Druid causes most with his Neutral thinking) we always sort it out well in character.
>>
>>54742590
I managed it fairly well with Pathfinder, a system I generally dislike. But in all seriousness, Deadlands does it better.
>>
>>54742743
I know Deadlands is an option, I want to try and make my own world though and not be beholden to Deadland's canon or setting assumptions.
>>
Hey guys, I'm about to play in my first 5e game,

There is one other player, a friend of mine. He is planning on playing a Warlock, and we both start at level 1.

I was thinking of playing a barbarian, but I'm not quite sure, how do I make sure that I don't get completely left behind?

I've played 3.5e campaigns with these guys before, and there is ALWAYS a tier issue, in which one guy overshadows the other.

Either cause one guy's build comes in much later than when we start, or cause someone picks a class that can do it all and do it better than those that specialize.

I don't know if Barbarian is in the same league as Warlock, or if I will spend the entire fight in a 1 on 1 duel with a single mook while the Warlock swiftly deals with the rest of the horde.
>>
>>54742787
There's not much of a tier issue in 5E.
If you're worried about being suboptimal, play a totem barbarian taking the bear totem option at 3rd level.
>>
>>54742787
5e doesn't have huge power gaps like that, basically every class is fine, from what I hear ranger and 4 elements monks aren't great.
>>
>>54742765
Not at all difficult to change setting elements. The system's still rock solid. There's just enough crunch to give it structure, but not as much as you encounter in Dungeons and Dragons.

You've got the right idea, though. Never be married to a setting you don't enjoy.
>>
>>54742787
>I don't know if Barbarian is in the same league as Warlock
kek
>>
Human Fighter [Gunslinger]
Fairy Fighter (no bully pls)
Human Cleric
They are fucking retarded, but holy shit they aren't murder hobos like I expected from hearing every story from /tg/
>>
File: wat.jpg (20KB, 428x501px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
20KB, 428x501px
>>54742823
>Fairy Fighter
>They are fucking retarded
>>
Can you use control water to create 100ft cube holes in the oceans directly underneath ships?
>>
>>54742813
>>54742803
>>54742800

Ah, I take my experience from 3.5e, where warlock and barb can go toe to toe depending on how well optimized each is, but looking on the 5e improvements to warlock, and how there dont seem to be very many feats at all, I thought barb would have the short end of the stick.
>>
>>54742837
>I thought barb would have the short end of the stick
In general, Barbarians are better than Warlocks in 5e, although the differences in power levels are minimal compared to 3.pf
>>
>>54742837
Barbarians, like most martials, deal more damage in 5e than most casters. Warlocks actually deal nearly martial damage, but lack the versatility of full casters, playing more like a martial class with spells as a resource, much like you'll rage.
>>
>>54742787
General tips for the barbarian player:
1. Know what you can and can't do when you Rage. Don't get stuck in a situation where you can't perform an important task because the murderlust is upon you.
2. Remember that thrown axes, javelins, heavy stones and a few others key off of Strength for attack and damage. If an enemy is further away than your melee attack can reach, you can still murder them with a well placed toss.
3. Speaking of reach, it's real nice to have it. The glaive, halberd and pike might not have as high a damage potential as the greatsword and greataxe, but the ability to attack 5ft further away is very handy.
4. An Intelligence of 10 or even 8 does not mean you're a bumbling idiot. You might need to hire someone to do your taxes, but you still have savage cunning. Coordinate your attacks with fellow party members in a language your enemies don't speak.
5. Weigh your feat choices or ability increases carefully. Constitution is always a solid investment, but you can increase your versatility with careful choices suited to the style of game you're playing.
>>
Am I the only person really hoping we get a Feywild book soonish?

Also how many hours until the UA is normally put out? I hope it's races honestly, we haven't had many from UA. Though spells, feats or even new rules options could be nice... as long as they're well designed of course.
>>
>>54742929
>Also how many hours until the UA is normally put out?
Isn't it normally around noon Pacific time? So 11 more hours?
>>
File: 1469716554576.jpg (199KB, 800x731px) Image search: [Google]
1469716554576.jpg
199KB, 800x731px
>>54742945
So around 6am for me, sounds about right. Perfect and thanks anon!
>>
>>54742917
To give more specific advice there's basically two ways to min-max barbarians. Both would probably pick bear totem. The first is just the standard is just getting great weapon and polearm feats and the other is to multiclass into rogue at 2, 4, or 5 and use a finesse weapon (with strength). I'm not really sure what feats people do with multiclassing, but I'm guessing sentinel is pretty good for rogues in general since sneak attack can apply again on other people's turns

That said you really shouldn't feel like you actually need to min-max.
>>
>>54735968
I'm not in a game at the moment, but when I last was we got to level 12 with:

Human Battlemaster Fighter (apparently I'm listing these in order of how much ass they kicked)
Half-Elf GOObook Warlock (me! silver medal!)
Air Genasi Ranger (not even sure where she got the race from)
Gnome Cleric (cast more spells, tiny friend)

Warlocks are fun, but I don't know if I want to play another guy who hangs back and shoots until everything stops moving. I basically used every non Cantrip spell for utility and Blasted when I ran out of clever ideas. It was fun, but next character is going to be something else.
>>
>>54735968
>human gunslinger (Matt Mercer homebrew, overpowered with sharpshooter feat)
>gnome PHB ranger
>warforged cleric
>gnome illusionist wizard (me)
>elvish arcane trickster rogue
>Dmpc tiefling monk (old player's character before they had to quit for work)
>>
>>54735968
My group has a
Wood Elf Assassin
Human Totem Barbarian
Human Knight
Halfling Lore Bard/Arcane Trickster
Human Maestro Bard
and temporarily
Half-Orc Totem Barbarian

They are on a quest to stop a cult and get some personal stuff taken care of.
>>
>>54735968
First time DM with a bunch of first time players, feels like herding cats but everyone is so excited to play DnD for the first time and will settle in once we get starterd So far we have
>high elf ranger
>ghostwise halfling rogue
>winged tiefling druid

The tiefling has already gotten a talk about how the majority of NPCs are going to be outright hostile and generally mistrusting, and how they can and will get fucked up in the air. They're still excited to play and see how things go, and have already said they'll make a new character if it causes too much trouble. Waiting on a fourth person to get back from camping so I can walk them through character creation.
>>
>>54742832
yes, he is the fairy king though, so he has a +3 scythe that he controls with his head
one of my players suggested it to him after me showing them a clip of seven deadly sins
level one
god help me
>>
>>54735968
Variant human Champion
Variant human Eldritch knight
Variant human Paladin
Wood elf Moon druid
>>
>>54742227
"Of innocent" is the key word here.

Good executioner would try his best to help prove that the prisoner is innocent.

Neutral one would accept the job but be disturb and probably has a hard time sleeping at night.

Evil one doesn't care, he is comfortable with killing innocent.

Please take off your fedora and left it in /pfg/.
>>
>>54736441
Eternia is where He-Man is from.
>>
File: chrome_2016-12-19_17-25-23.png (428KB, 530x472px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-12-19_17-25-23.png
428KB, 530x472px
>>54743043
>the fairy king
>he has a +3 scythe
>level one
Are you insane or just stupid?
>>
>>54743043
You deserve everything that comes to you for allowing something this stupid into your game.
>>
>>54743074
both
Is it that bad? Did I make a fuck?
The player is really bad at not dying though.
He has almost killed characters multiple times.
I could always axe his character a question
>>
>>54743061
a Good executioner. Not a Neutral one. Also innocence was never in the equation. The validity of the guilty verdict could just as easily push into lawful neutral rather than neutral good.
>>
>>54743096
It's just a game between friends anyway so it's not like I'm expecting this series of games to turn into a campaign.
Plus I'm gonna make them run through dungeons so we'll see this goes
I forgot he has a 30ft fly speed too
>>
>>54743097
>He has almost killed characters multiple times
Ok, let me get this straight...
- special snowflake character
- special snowflake backstory
- +3 magic weapon
- attacks other PCs
- is shit at the game

>Is it that bad?
I honestly don't know how it could be worse, anon.
>>
>>54743097
>>54743111

>Insanely powerful weapon
>Level 20 character backstory
>Character is level 1
>Flying speed

This is incredibly awful anon. Kill him and limit him to PHB stuff next time.
>>
>>54735968
Current group soon to be on hiatus: Wood Elf Ranger, Dwarf Monk, Dwarf Paladin, Elf Cleric, Human Wizard

Will be starting a new game in the meantime and I'm looking at doing something different from the kind of things I would typically gravitate towards. Leaning towards a Warlock (Great Old One patron/Tome Pact). I don't want to go the Cthulu/insane dude route with this and am looking for suggestions. Probably doing Human (Variant) or Half-Elf as I'm only really familiar with the PHB stuff. Are there other fitting races for this?
>>
>>54743097
>>54743118
Oh, and I forgot to mention that THIS IS ALL AT LEVEL FUCKING 1.
>>
>>54743118
>>54743097
>>54743043

/tg/ is the easiest board to bait holy shit
>>
>>54743130
You say that as if people like this don't exist
>>
>>54742917
Thank you kindly! I was thinking of taking Sentinel and Mage Slayer, because I always had a fondness of 3.5e attacks of opportunity. Do you think those are worth it?

>>54742970
>That said you really shouldn't feel like you actually need to min-max.

I used to REALLY enjoy minmaxing in 3.5e (mostly when my teammate was much more powerful than I), but I think this campaign i'll have more fun knowing that the power gap wont be significant enough for me to be worried about my own contribution.
>>
How viable is a weaponless (fist/kicks only) monk?

I love shitty martial art films, how would I go about playing one?
>>
>>54743118
he doesnt attack other people sorry, I meant to say his character almost gets killed every session
Hes a nice guy and a decent player, we'll just see how this goes.
I'm gonna make them run through the ringer
if he lives he can keep it
>>54743128
>>54743130
>>54743140
some trap ideas please, i'm already using the rust monster trap lads I need worse
>>
>>54743126
Go for Dunwich Horror's Dr. Henry Armitage

You're learning these horrible rituals and unnatural secrets in the hopes that if something from the far realms DOES make it's way to the prime material realm you have the knowledge to magic to send it back
>>
>>54735968
Halfling Rogue
Dragonborn Paladin
Human Wizard
>>
>>54736084
How would the two interact?
Does one override the other?
>>
>>54743202
yes
you get to pick one effect to keep and the other goes away
>>
Any tips on choosing place for Circle of the Land? I understand that it depends on what I want, but also party composition most likely matters too and I'm not sure how exactly party influences that.
>>54740952 - current party. Warlock will be going for Pact of the Tome and Fighter is Battlemaster. I could go for Mountain just for damage from Bolt, but after checking some more, Coast has really nice stuff on 2nd spell level and there's Arctic with some compromise between utility and damage.
>>
>>54743205
Oh, thanks heaps bro.
>>
Do your eldritch invocations also scale with your level?
So, fiendish vigor is casting false life but false life scales, does fiendish vigor also scale?

Probably not because it's at will.
>>
File: sir bearington.jpg (96KB, 634x456px) Image search: [Google]
sir bearington.jpg
96KB, 634x456px
>>54743142
The Sentinel feat and a polearm are a stupidly good combo, especially for a battlemaster fighter with polearm mastery. I read a good discussion about it here: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/72253/is-polearm-master-with-sentinel-unbeatable-in-a-duel

The hard counter is ranged attacks. With both hands on a polearm, you can't use a shield, and as a barbarian, your AC won't be as high as a full-plated murder-machine like the fighter or Paladin. But with the reduced damage and extra hit points, the odd snipe from the peanut gallery won't be too much of an issue.

Befriend a dedicated caster, especially a Cleric or a Bard, or even a well built support wizard. Barbarians perform disgustingly well with inspiration, advantage on attacks, and temporary hit points.

Other guy isn't wrong about Bear Totem. You want that for you.
>>
File: Read Nigga Read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Read Nigga Read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54743266
"You can cast False Life on yourself at will as a 1st-level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components"
>as a 1st-level spell
>>
>>54743126
Forgot I was going to ask:

Does the creature I communicate with via the Awakened Mind feature know it's me?
>>
>>54742929
What would we do with a 5e Feywild book, though? We got lots of Feywild lore back in 4e via Manual of the Planes and Heroes of the Feywild.
>>
>>54739668
>4e largely because the first book's monsters had too much HP padding?
They did too little damage, especially for higher levels, but brutes, soldiers, and solos got some extra retooling beyond that.
>>
The hermit background makes no sense for a sorcerer. You'd think that a guy that's supposed to have a high CHA shouldn't be the one who spent his life in seclusion away from other people
>>
>>54743486
All the ladies/guys trying to get at their ESSENCE might distract from their education/meditation. That or the classic life of no self control causes outcasting and self seclusion.
>>
>>54743520
I get that but usually neets aren't the best when it comes to socializing and persuading
>>
>>54735968
High Elf Mystic (Soul Knife)
High Elf Artificer (Gunsmith)
Firbolg Cleric (Tempest Domain)
Human Rogue/Warlock
Half-Orc Fighter (Battlemaster/Sword and Board)
Warforged Fighter (Champion/GWF)
>>
>>54739668
They fixed that, but a bunch of the older monsters weren't re-released, so it was mostly new content that also happened to be better balanced than the old.
>>
>>54743557
Usually pretty retards arent good at magic, sorcerers are all kinds of snowflake.
>>
>>54743557
>>54743575
Also if you take charisma to mean something along the lines of self-confidence hermits would still fit especially well. Notoriously for giving no fucks and not worrying about other people's opinions of them.
>>
I'm lookin to get my alchemist on but the UA Artificer seems sorta subpar. Anyone have any thoughts on it or good homebrew stuff?
>>
>>54740553
This>>54740692 Really. I appreciate he's not bending over backwards for a girlfriend who's not that interested in D&D, but that's no way to introduce a new player.
>>
>>54743649
it's a cantrip spammer without modifier damage. It's still pretty fun according to one of my players.
>>
>>54743758
Just the amount of alchemical formulae you get seems kind of limited. It'd be nice if there were several more formulae to choose from.
>>
I'm really tempted to get into the second level of fighter for that sweet action surge, but don't want to delay my warlock 1 progression any further, any advice please?
>>
>>54735968
Human rogue/thief
Eladrin artificer/gunsmith
Half elf bard/lore
Wood elf fighter/samurai
Drow Warlock/Raven Queen (absent)
Human Warlock/Raven Queen (absent)
>>
>>54743999
Or even possibly getting into paladin 2. Fittingly I'm fiendpact.
>>
>>54736714
can't tell if bait
>>
>>54735968
Fanatical half orc vengeance paladin
Dumb but wise goliath battlemaster
Paranoid human hexblade
Cringy halfling Wot4E monk
Mute half drow tomelock
Mischievous trickery cleric

It's worked out surprisingly well.
>>
>>54743999
>>54744056
Otherwise I'll try to stick to single bladelock because I'll be getting the sweet invocations.
>>
>>54736084
I don't know if letting Dark One's Luck and False Life stack is RAW, but we did it with our party's fiendlock and he's a pretty handy gish at this point.

I recommend testing it in your groups, friends.
>>
Temp HP never stacks. Ever.
>>
>>54744367
>>54744350
Definitely doesn't stack, would consider turning non-stacking temp HP into direct healing or maybe massively dropping their durations when combined. Some of the temp HP stuff could get retarded otherwise.
>>
>>54744350
Oh Jesus, this reminds me of a newbie group I joined where they didn't know that temp HP didn't stack, or that it disappeared after resting. Their fiendlock had fucktons of temp HP hoarded over several sessions.
>>
I'm trying to make a magical detective ala Harry Dresden and I can't decide between Wizard, Warlock, or a multiclass between them. What do?
>>
>>54744484
Depends - is he the sort of detective who uses a wide variety of spells to solve problems in and out of combat? Or does he just shoot magical laser beams first and ask questions later?
>>
>>54744484
Divination Wiz, not the best. Could combine really well with Old One's entropic ward, but that's a fuckhueg dip for a multiclass.
>>
>>54744539
The first one. I want him to not just be a murderhobo but an actual character that could feasibly be helping clients with whatever problems they have.
>>
>>54744483
Only disappears after a long rest.
>>
>>54744484
Dresden is 100% an evocation wizard. I mean he is very versatile with his magic and uses it for a lot of non combat applications but his specialty is blowing motherfuckers up when shit goes down. So yeah make a wizard for making someone similar to him.
>>
>>54744637
>>54744484
Nah, he's a feypact warlock.
>>
>>54744649
Not a chance. He'd have like a singular level in that and only because he desperately needed a power boost at the time, he's actively avoiding using his winter knight shit when possible and relying on his wizard kit for 99% of problems. Dude is a wizard and his entire character revolves around it. If the anon wants to make a magic PI based on dresden he should be making a wizard.
>>
>>54744590
You need to be a wizard then. Warlocks are dedicated single-target blasters with a tiny number of other tricks.
>>
>>54744674
he's made all sorts of pacts though, I mean wizards are much better at pact'ing than warlocks so that point still 100% stands. Nothing stops wizards from making similar pacts generally but he's definitely dipped into that lock power.
>>
>>54737914
>>54738030
>scooby doo that up
>have the local wizard chase the party around with a Tarrasque illusion
>pull the wizard's head off
>it was a skeleton all along
>>
>>54744702
Eh he's made a grand total of two real pacts, at least on a level strong enough to be considered a class dip. The denarian thing was more of a super powerful magical item, the soulfire thing is more like an OP as fuck boon letting him spend hit die to supercharge spells, his dog practically made a pact with HIM instead of the traditional way around, his godmother is technically a pact his mother made and everything else has been deals on the level of what players make with hags all the time. He's definitely taken a dip with the winter knight stuff and demonreach (which only does anything when he's on a very small island anyway) but by and large he's still a wizard, just one with a few really powerful and neat tricks because he's the main character and cheated a lot like the filthy multiclasser he is. also new book when
>>
>>54744797
So maybe 2 levels into feylock and the rest into Wizard?
>>
>>54744848
Yeah, and definitely evoker wizard. Assuming this is still talking about the anon wanting to make a character like him though only the wizard stuff is really necessary. Feylock stuff only really happened cause in the story it was that or die and I can't really see a situation coming up in a dnd game where a wizard is going to be completely fucked unless he gets given 2 free level ups because plot. Because lets face it they were free levels, he banged a hot sidhe queen and got powers from it,
you can't tell me that fucking an elf gives you enough exp to level up
>>
>>54744896
Maybe he just had one of "those" DMs.
>>
>>54744957
He was his own DM welcoming himself into his own magical realm.
>>
Hey,
I've got a question.
I play a warlock and want to use that suggestion spell. I change my appearance so that i look like onbe of the guards. than i want to tell one of the real guards that i'm his replacement and he should go back to the castle (2hwalk) to see his captain. Therefor i want to use the spell. So it normally should work (sounds like a real reason) but dous it still, when he's out of my area/ line of sight? because it's a concentrationspell and has a range (for casting) of 30 feet
>>
File: orc computer.jpg (108KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
orc computer.jpg
108KB, 512x512px
>>54735968
I have a slaver bandit group that is led by orcs. They worship gruumush. Could humans be in this group as well? Would it make more sense to have the humans that work for them be previous slaves that joined for power or so the orcs wouldn't kill their families?
>>
>Join a new game
>Player has the diplomat feat (speak to someone for a minute and are charmed)
>DM treats the charmed guy like he will do literally anything for the guy with diplomat now
>Tell them that's not how charmed works and show them the condition
>Carries on doing it anyway
Well that group lasted long
>>
>>54735968
>What's your party like?

I'm currently playing a dorf tempest cleric. I'm living up to all the tropes as make sure to be as brash and brace (read: ignorant) as possible. The party currently sees me as a leader figure.

We then have a human monk who acts like our face. He's always looking for non combative ways through encounters, which usually means he has to snap someone's wrist before people might start listening.

A half orc barbarian makes sure to do a lot of hitting and yelling. The player is a fan of 40k/WHFB Ork/orcs and makes sure to yell WAAAAAAGH a lot

High elf ranger who is the best marksman I've ever seen, though probably has autism because he barely talks to anyone that isn't a party member.

Dragonborn vengeance paladin who is making sure to not try to be too edgy. He's buddy buddy with me and the monk, as we form a bit of a trio amongst the party.

Aside from me (cleric) and the monk, this is everyone else's first RPG campaign, so we're making sure to guide them through it.
>>
>>54745203
I think the PHB said that orcs "make alliances with people" to get half-orcs because they're far superior to normal ones. So that's as good a reason as any?
>>
>>54745510
Thx
>>
New thread

>>54745623
>>54745623
>>54745623
>>54745623
>>54745623
>>
>>54745144
"You don’t need to be within line of sight or within range to maintain concentration on a spell, unless a spell’s description or other game feature says otherwise."
-Sage Advice compendium.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf
>>
>>54745203
I think a mix of both works.

Keeps things interesting.
>>
the one I'm DMing
>Half-Orc Barbarian
>Human Fighter/Rogue
>Wood Elf Rogue/Ranger
>Half-Elf Necromancer
>Human Paladin
>Aasimar Paladin/Warlock
>Gnome Druid

the one I'm playing in
>Half-Elf Wizard
>Halfling Rogue
>Human Sorcerer
>Goliath Barbarian
>Dwarf Fighter x2
>Wood Elf Ranger
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.