[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 31

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54577795

How did your last TPK go?
>>
>>54587838
Never had one, am I missing out?
>>
>>54587838
DM punished us for party PvP by killing everyone. It was really his fault, though - for months it was extremely obvious where there entire thing was going, yet he did nothing - sometimes he even added fuel to the flame.
>>
>How did your last TPK go?
We got overwhelmed by wraiths and over 9000 skeletons while trying to destroy some McGuffin. We could have survived had we not made a couple of tactical mistakes.
>>
>>54587838

Only been playing for two years, only had one TPK. Just two weeks ago actually.

>DM adapting a Pathfinder campaign to 5e, Strange Aeons
>Party is level 3, searching for this cult leader dude
>Still early in the session, had a minor fight against something, can't remember
>Come across a hallway with several doors, but we already know our destination is one door in particular
>Our exploration over the past few weeks had yielded several rooms without much to them, so in the interest of saving real life time and party resources, I suggest we simply go to the door we want, skipping the others
>We do, three monsters inside, super ghouls
>Wall behinds us collapses, revealing three more super ghouls and trapping us
>two party members (myself, fighter, and the rogue) are poisoned, but barb has eagle totem to cancel out our disadvantage
>Suggest myself, rogue and barb take the three in the front, party second fighter and druid take the three in back
>Druid opens up with Thunderwave, good damage, looks like those two can clean up the three ghouls without much incident
>Boss ghoul pops out from around a corner we couldn't see, takes the druid down
>Uh oh
>Second fighter drags dead body back, but can't close the door
>Super ghouls making three attacks, assuming 40 HP each, not sure boss ghoul's stats
>Quickly get overwhelmed, end session early

Not sure what the DM was thinking with the super ghouls, but whatever. Mistakes were made and we paid for it. Maybe we could have won that encounter, maybe not, but I'm content with how things turned out.
>>
>>54587838
On the way out of a horrific dungeon, they decided to go a different way out of the dungeon, turns out they should have just backtracked down the way they came in.

The paladin got crit, went mad (homebrew form of madness where they fight a shadow of their own mind), already weak and with no resources she lost the fight. Rolled the worst result on the madness table and started to attack the closest enemy every turn.

Cleric tried to keep the party up but can't heal through the darklings and the paladin.

The paladin technically survived and the madness wore off but the player believes they would never be sane again after committing such acts so they are all rerolling.

All in all, nice session
>>
>>54588136
>darklings
That's pretty racist
>>
>>54588177
At least it's not blackskin spearchuckers.
>>
>>54588177
It is only racist if a non darkling calls them a darkling
>>
>>54588256
What if the non darkling's best friend is a darkling
>>
What's the best build for a warlock that want's contribute outside of combat, and do more than eldritch blast in combat?
>>
>>54588332
That's called being a Wizard
>>
>>54588332
Eldritch Bard
>>
>>54588326
at some point the darkling may call his friend "Mah darkling" at that point he may tentatively call the darkling darkling.
>>
>>54588332
Warlocks contribute a bunch out of combat with their invocations and pact of the chain/tome.

In combat, you should also be casting hex. :^)
>>
File: crying wojak.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
crying wojak.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>54588351
I wish it wasn't so.
>>
>>54588534
It's not. You can't meme the warlock out of relevance, no matter how hard you try.

>>54588332
This is fucking bait anyway. We have this conversation once a day, no matter how many times people explain how the warlock works.
>>
>>54588421
Spell slot saving technique:
>have pouch of toads
>when combat starts, cast Hex
>when last enemy dies, transfer hex to a toad
>toad is now hexed
>when next combat starts, crush toad in hand
>transfer hex to new enemy
Why wouldn't this work?
>>
>>54588563
Because you don't need the toad. As long as you concentrate on hex, you can reapply it when the next combat starts whether it's on a toad or not.
>>
>>54588563
Because no one will let you do that to toads.
>>
>>54588563
It would still only last 1 hour regardless of how many times you transfer it.
>>
>>54588332

I'm a ForeverDM who just built his second character after my first one got killed by our new, awesomely brutal DM.

I haven't got to playtest him yet, but he's a level 4 Fallen Aasimar Tomelock. That means he has a whopping 7 cantrips, including several utility cantrips like Guidance and Light. Plus his racial ability to grow skeleton wings and scare enemies shitless while giving himself a +4 to the first attack each turn? I feel like I'll be able to do plenty.
>>
>>54588621
>+4 to the first attack each turn
I'm worried by a foreverDM who knows the rules this badly.
>>
>>54587838
The world ended but for about 17 days only.
>>
>>54587838
We know have Worm That Walks that almost achieved godhood to deal with.
>>
>>54587838
Played bought elemental gems during downtime. Summoned an earth elemental to take on a shit-ton of orcs.

Got crit by a stirge and lost concentration, used another gem to summon a water elemental and then was immediately dropped to 0.

The two elementals then proceeded to crush the party into dust.
>>
>>54588621
>giving himself a +4 to the first attack each turn
Not gonna be an ass, but I would also like an explanation on how this works
>>
>>54588621
>+4 attack
his racial ability doesn't do that, unless you're using some homebrew.
>>
>>54588647

Volo's Guide, p. 105:

"Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra necrotic damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or spell. The extra necrotic damage equals your level."

So, I meant +4 to damage. My goof.
>>
>>54587838
My players walked into the amber temple at level 5. They retreated, but one guy wanted to go back for reasons related to his background, and the rest of the party followed him after he left alone.

They got crushed and we decided as a group to resurrect everyone with dark gifts since they liked their characters. It actually helped slow the campaign down a bit, we fast-forwarded through months of them being dead and walking the paths as ghosts and throwing themselves off the tower in Castle Ravenloft.
>>
homebrewing a weapon for a buddy. He wants to use a bigass meathook on a chain. Here's what I've got:

d6/d8 slashing, versatile, light, special. Special is: if used 2h, it has reach.

I was considering adding: because the 2h aspect of it is a chain, you can use it 2h while wielding another light weapon in your off hand, BUT you can't make an attack with that off-hand weapon.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54589124
What would be the purpose of being able to wield a weapon and not make an attack with it? Also, it would probably be hard to wield both a dagger and swing a chain at the same time.
>>
>>54589153
>What would be the purpose of being able to wield a weapon and not make an attack with it?
the idea being that, if you've got the chain secured to your off hand, you don't need to stow your off-hand weapon to let rip with the long-range attack for one round, if you so desire.

>Also, it would probably be hard to wield both a dagger and swing a chain at the same time.
I've done some work with chain/rope-based weapons IRL; the off-hand rarely has much to do with making the attack beyond providing a secure point while the main hand lets the line play out and directs the attack. The off-hand needn't be holding the chain so much as have the chain secured to it; at the wrist, for example.

I'm not married to that addendum, I think it's a fine homebrew without it, but I'm interested to see what others think
>>
>>54589124
>meatHOOK
i think piercing is a better fit than slashing in terms of damage type but it's not gonna break balance or anything

i mean, you've basically created a reach weapon that small races can utilize, otherwise it's just a shortsword. nothing about it seems broken or exploitable.
>>
>>54589283
I had thought of that, but I wanted a reason to differentiate it from a fluffy spear... which I guess is what I'm brewing anyway.
>>
>>54589248
I see where you're coming from, still seems like kind of a wired caveat. Everything else about it seems fine. Two-handed rapier that trades dual-wielding for reach.
>>
>>54589321
> rapier

It's not finesse, but yeah, basically
>>
>>54589124
>He wants to use a bigass meathook on a chain
Pudge please.
>>
File: totally_different.png (158KB, 345x350px) Image search: [Google]
totally_different.png
158KB, 345x350px
>>54589383
no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>54589124
I'd argue that chucking a hook should probably not do more damage than forcibly jamming it into someone.
Unironically, just refluff war pick.
>>
I prefer to Multiclass.
>>
File: innovative_ideas.jpg (153KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
innovative_ideas.jpg
153KB, 1280x800px
>>54589425
You want to play?
>>
>>54589444
I'd forgotten about the war pick. Hmmmm.
>>
Murdered the party with a group of kenku assassins in a sweet cliffside ambush
>>
>>54589457
I wish; am poorfag with neither peasantry console nor ubermensch PC
>>
File: Spiritual Orb.png (66KB, 356x178px) Image search: [Google]
Spiritual Orb.png
66KB, 356x178px
How do this looks for a level 2?
>>
>>54589515
Make way for terrible DM! Terrible DM coming through!
>>
Rate my character idea:
>Half-Elf Bard / Haunted One background
>Possessed by a Greed Demon as a child, has never been aware of its presence
>Demon subtly influences Bard to acquire knowledge and trinkets
>Eventually presents itself as a God of Treasures i.e Warlock Seeker Patron
>>
>>54589580
diggity 5/7
>>
>>54589554
Need more context. What's this for?
>>
>>54589589
Any thoughts or criticisms?
>>
>>54589615

mmmmm, might depend on whether you go Tome/Blade/Chain, but no, I think you have a badass idea and a good mechanical build for it. I love multiclassing into Warlock at higher levels; I like the flavor of an adventurer attracting a Patron's notice and earning their favor, or what you've done with the slow-reveal of the 'voice in your head' coming to fruition
>>
>>54589612
Item for a cleric or spellcaster, maybe
>>
>warlocks get create undead but not animate dead despite them effectively being the same spell
>all warlocks can summon fey, but none can summon fiends

why is this?
>>
>>54589124
>>54589444
>>54589459

hookfag again. here's my MkII based on a fluffy warpick: one of these two depending on whether or not he wants to be able to TWF easily

MkIIa: d8 piercing, versatile, special (if used 2h, damage does not increase but you gain reach)
MkIIb: d6 piercing, light, versatile, special (if used 2h, damage does not increase but you gain reach)

no lie, I like the MkIIa better
>>
>>54589720
probably spell levels. IIRC, conjure fey is 6th level yes? Which puts it at once per day for a warlock, instead of 3-4 times per hour. Since 5e is balanced around only being able to do fun things once per day, and the rest of your day being unfun, any conjure option at 5th level or lower would not be allowed for a warlock.
>>
>>54589766
I guess, but couldn't they just make planar binding a 6th level spell for warlocks? Or give them an invocation that has a once per day or higher limit that works the same instead of their invocation's that copy spells being crap nobody will ever use?

The idea of a warlock that made a pact with a devil but can't actually summon them is fucking stupid.
>>
>>54589734
Don't even call it "versatile" IMO. Then it's probably fine.

>>54589554
>>54589718
Looks okay, ish, though probably strong for level 2. Also, has no recharge capability RAW.
>>
I'm an idiot and don't want to admit it to my DM, am I using AC right? I have chain mail (16 ac), a shield (2 ac), and then I cast shield of faith (+2 ac). Does that put me at 20 AC regardless of my stats?
>>
>>54589889
>Don't even call it "versatile" IMO. Then it's probably fine.

Good point.
>>
>>54589704
Was planning on going Chain, though I had considered trying out Blade.
>>
>>54589902
Yep. Light gives you +DEX Mod in AC, Medium gives you a maximum of +2 DEX Mod in AC, Heavy gives you flat AC.
>>
>>54589887
Welcome to /5e/ class design, unless you're a wizard or bard there's something fucking stupid that you have to deal with.
>>
>>54589909
could be cool to have a Greed Imp on your shoulder, yeah. I would say Tome or Chain is the best Warlock, and if you're a Valor Bard (though I'm assuming you'd go Lore, based on what you said about hunting knowledge), then Bladelock would be pretty redundant. Lore Bard / Tomelock would be thematically consistent and apropos, and pretty punchy overall.
>>
>>54589909
Blade is basically garbage (I'm not trolling - it's one of the 4 archetypes in the original book considered to be legitimately bad). Chain is dope.

>>54589887
If your DM isn't completely stupid, by the time your warlock is level 11 they can probably request an audience with their patron anyway.
>>
>>54589961
paladins are done really well, as are fighter/rogue if you're allowed to multiclass them into eachother and take some feats

this is also easily the least stupid monks have ever been but maybe that's not saying much
>>
>>54589554
Level 2 spell or character? Because either way, a bonus action Magic Missile every turn seems a bit strong.

Cast spell once, then whip dick out and fap while still doing guaranteed damage every round.
>>
>>54589909
keep in mind that if you want a familiar and aren't specifically attached to the idea of having an invisible one you can go tome and get the familar spell as one of your rituals
>>
>>54589985
Is it that bad? I'll drop it then. I'm guessing it's nowhere near as good as some of the other spellblade options?
>>
can someone explain to me how surprise works? I didn't realize that assassin rogue gets to just automatically crit during surprise, that sounds really dumb
>>
>>54590035
it's pretty crap, IMO. It's worse than an EKnight at both casting and fighting.
>>
>>54590019
Invisibility is awesome, and helps to make chain the best pact boon you can get, but it isn't the end all be all of chainlocks.

Chainlock familiars can shapeshift, make deception checks, speak, cast a fear spell, make checks with tools, etc. They can give you advantage on pretty much every skill check you make, because they're also capable of making those same skill checks. In combat, they can safely help action you every turn, or help action the paladin every turn. And thanks to the invocations, they make incredible scouts and agents.

Chainlock familiars are amazing.
>>
>>54590035
It can work well if you take one of the pact weapon invocations in unearthed arcana since you basically get smite from them. If you want to play gish, you're probably better off as a valor bard or stone sorcerer though
>>
>>54589985
Why is blade so bad? Legitimately asking because I was thinking of playing a HexBladeLock in an upcoming game. Weapon proficiency plus the ability to always have a weapon on hand, plus 2 attacks at lvl 5 seems decent to me, but I supposed I'm overlooking something.
>>
>>54590091
this is all very cute but "three rituals from any list and the ability to cast literally any ritual from your main stat" is basically the single best thing warlock has besides boosted up eldritch blast
>>
>>54590113
>but I supposed I'm overlooking something.
Your defense and limited spell slots
>>
>>54590122
That's all pretty cute but having a wizard or other ritual caster in the group completely overrrides your utility. Pact of the Tome should only be considered if you're the only ritual caster in the group. But then you'd be a pretty weak group.
>>
>>54590113
>Why is blade so bad?
beyond the fact that eldritch blast just sort of makes 90% of weapons pointless, it requires a pretty heavy invocation tax to keep it up to par, it makes you MAD until level 12 (and you're still mad because +Cha to your weapon is added onto it) and the other two options are extremely good

if you want to be a warlock that hits people in melee just play a paladin/warlock, if you want to pull weapons out of your asshole play eldritch knight. Being a blade warlock just feels kind of shitty, kinda like getting a pretty nice single gift for xmas and then looking in the window of someone getting tons of great shit
>>
>>54590113
Hexblade actually isn't bad and mostly fixes a lot of problems with the Blade pact. In the base rulebook though, bladelocks only benefit for going into melee over other classes is CHA to damage. At level 14. You can't even use big weapons since going STR makes you MAD as hell without multiclassing and Warlock doesn't have way too many defensive options whenever it gets fucked in melee. The only reason to go Bladelock is if you're multiclassing paladin. But for base bladelock, everything you do is better done with eldritch blast spam
>>
File: Bladelock.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Bladelock.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54590113
You can go Hexblade, just don't bother with Pact of the Blade.

What you're overlooking is that the DPS from Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast is always, all the time, without exception going to be higher than hitting with your pact weapon. And it's at range.
Pact of the Blade isn't "bad," per se, it's just that even when you have it, you're not going to want to use it.

If you're still interested in the concept, there's this homebrew document that attempts to address this issue.
>>
>>54590113
EKnights vs Bladelock

Weapon on hand at all times? Both have it, and EKnights get all weapons AND Fighting Style.

Casting? EKnight gets more slots and more spells but a lower level cap.

Number of attacks? EKnights get more (4 at level cap) just by being a Fighter, Bladelocks have to spend an Invocation for Thirsting Blade.

Armor/HP? EKnight wins by a mile. Full armor proficiency and a d10 HD vs a d8.
>>
>>54590065
I'm probably going to be wrong here, but my understanding is:

- When starting combat, roll Perception checks versus Stealth. If the enemies do not detect the nearby enemies, they are surprised. If they do detect nearby enemies, they are not.
- Surprise works on a per enemy basis; so you can have certain members of a group that are surprised and other ones that are not
- You roll Initiative as normal. If an enemy is surprised, it cannot take reactions, and cannot do anything during its turn (no movement/action). HOWEVER: After it's initiative has passed, it no longer counts as surprised, and can now take reactions.

Assassin rogue can automatically crit during surprise, but surprise is a lot stricter than people tend to play it. If the enemy detect ANYONE in your party, so assassin trait doesn't work anymore. If the enemy beats you in initiative, they are no longer surprised, and assassin trait doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>54590177
>What you're overlooking is that the DPS from Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast is always, all the time, without exception going to be higher than hitting with your pact weapon. And it's at range.

There is an exception. You can build pact of the blade builds featuring crossbows, and polearms that outdamage eldritch blast.
>>
>>54590177
Original homebrewery link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkSFaLyGB-
>>
>>54590113
on top of what everyone else said, if you want to be a warlock that fights in melee you can just take tome for shelilagh and use a quarterstaff with PAM, which is more effective than almost any melee build a bladelock could do AND it's cooler because you can use that staff as your arcane focus too and use it to shoot eldritch blasts or sword coast cantrips
>>
>>54589961
Can you name these things?
>>
Is it possible to play this game without
>>
>>54590177
>Eldritch blast is no longer a warlock cantrip and cannot be selected upon leveling up by any means except via the new Eldritch Warrior class feature
What the fuck
>>
>>54590146
>>54590165
>>54590168

Thank you for explaining. I wasn't looking at it PHB only as my DM said most UA would be allowed and Hexblade patron seemed to make BladeLocks decent in melee.
>>
>>54590225
Without what anon?
>>
>>54590235
Buffing up the melee option while removing the temptation of the ranged option, as it were. Note that this applies only if you pick the melee option.
>implying you read further than that sentence before posting
>>
File: 1501315258259.jpg (262KB, 1080x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1501315258259.jpg
262KB, 1080x1500px
>>54590242
Without making mistakes, having regrets, and losing friends?
>>
Does Cutting Words and Lucky work together e.g have the enemy reroll his attack roll, then lower that attack roll with Cutting Words?
>>
>>54590277
No.
>>
>>54590283
Wouldn't that take 2 reactions?
>>
What are some fun rule hacks for 5e?
I'm going to be running a puzzle-heavy campaign (likely just a single session or two, but we'll see) that is going to be based around fucking the 4th wall up, and I want more puzzles based around RAW rules. As far as I can tell, the peasant railgun trick still works for moving things impossibly quickly from point A to B, so I'll probably work that in, but I don't see much else in that vein (to be fair I don't come to 4chan much any more, and that's where I learned most of the shit for 3e).
>>
>>54590221
Of course not, Anon is just trying to bait yet another martial vs caster ""debate""

>>54590277
No. But you'll also shine brightly, make memories, and meet new friends. So it sorta evens out.
>>
File: 5e_monster_and_spell_import.png (24KB, 588x583px) Image search: [Google]
5e_monster_and_spell_import.png
24KB, 588x583px
I found the Roll20 importing tool on https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html and it's super helpful for loading in monsters especially. Is there anything similar to this but for pregen player characters?

Reposted this twice already, I won't spam it here any more.
>>
>>54590344
I was gonna say, I've been plying my druid for 6 monthes without any serious issue other than the incorrect use of thunderwave
>>
File: ThisIsYourBrainOnPathfinder.png (233KB, 501x498px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsYourBrainOnPathfinder.png
233KB, 501x498px
>>54590330
>rule hacks
>puzzles based around RAW rules
>puzzles that can literally not be solved without metagaming
>>
>>54590371
Druid suffers from the same issue that all classes with critical features on a short rest suffer: You're either incredible gods or constantly unable to do your main thing.
>>
>>54590403
I have never once run out of spell slots anon, I feel like that is a caster's main thing
>>
File: 1501349069551.png (71KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1501349069551.png
71KB, 657x527px
>"I want to pick up my weapon"
>"You spend half your movement on picking up your weapon"
>>
File: LuckyFeatDessc.png (13KB, 533x77px) Image search: [Google]
LuckyFeatDessc.png
13KB, 533x77px
>>54590311
RAI i assume thats true, but the Lucky feat doesn't specify that its a reaction
>>
>>54590423
I'm talking about the changing into animals.
>>
I want to make an eldritch knight/arcane trickster multiclass. Should I throw in a bit of wizard to pump up my spell slots because of how fucked the spell slot scaling is for these classes? Or just get a bit of wizard as my entire casting and get better fighter/rogue subclass?
>>
>>54590436
your DM should promptly hang himself
>>
>>54590454
>just get a bit of wizard as my entire casting and get better fighter/rogue subclass

there you go.
>>
>>54590452
As a land druid that is but a utility anon
>>
>>54590372
Yes, that is indeed the point. It's supposed to be a fun joke of a campaign, hence why it's only a session or two.
>>
>>54590212
Hate to ruin your day. Pact of the blade states it's only for melee weapons
>>
>>54590473
At the same time, wizard 3/EK3/AT 3 gets me third level spells (compared to getting them way later without any wizard and just taking the EK/AT or never if I just do a wizard rip with more mudane classes)

Is that not worth considering? What combo of fighter/rogue stuff would work the best?
>>
>>54590511
No, Pact of the Blade states that it is initially only for melee weapons, but you can bind ranged weapons to it if they're magical. Additionally, I think there's a new invocation that lets you get ranged weapons, but I could be misremembering that. Also, polearms are melee weapons.
>>
>>54590370
How do you import spells into the character sheet?
>>
>>54590529
You also don't get any ability score increases by level 9 with that build.

Just take wizard 9 and choose polymorph. Polymorph yourself into a strong monster and be a more effective front line fighter than anything else.
>>
>>54590529
off the top of my head, without any deep analysis of the munchkin potential, I'd say: 3 levels Fighter for Fighting Style, Action Surge, Second Wind, and Champion, not to mention the proficiency and HD; 3 levels Rogue and take Thief, and then pure Wizard. Mix them up and take as you will.
>>
>>54590564
If I wanted to be maximally effective I wouldn't be considering this combo in the first place.

Besides, it'd be a hand crossbow build anyway.
>>
>>54590585
battlemaster 3 is a million times better than champion 3
>>
>>54590585
>no extra attacks
>>
>>54590618
I usually agree; I like Champion for a Rogue multiclass just because Improved Critical, but Battlemaster works as well or better
>>
>>54590638
yeaaaah, but if you stick around for Extra Attack then you might as well stick around the ASI at 6th, and then you might as well stick around for Know Your Enemy or Superior Athlete at 7th, and then you might as well stick around for the ASI at 8th, and then you might as well stick around for Indomitable at 9th, and then you might as well WHOOPS you're a single-class Fighter.
>>
>>54589554
>add your spellcasting modifier
To what?

Also, can you use the feature (WIS) times for 30 minutes each, or you can fire up to (WIS) darts total?
>>
Why is /5eg/ so against homebrew?

I've post some amazing well thought homebrew and you guys always shoot it down. Stuff from homebrew races like my Grays or custom backgrounds.

Why is /5eg/ so much against fun and being creative?
>>
>>54590743
>I've post some amazing well thought homebrew and you guys always shoot it down. Stuff from homebrew races like my Grays
Evacuate thread.
>>
>>54590743
Because fuck you and fuck your homebrew
>>
>>54590065
A surprise round happens in a few ways. Someone can sneak up and have a better stealth check then passive perception of their enemy.

Also an assassin can utilize his ability to disguise himself as diplomat or what not and let's say in the middle of a conversation pulls out his dagger and kills his target. That'll be a surprise round.
>>
Relatively new to being a DM and I have a question. In combat, I have no trouble organizing initiative rolls, but the phyisal location of the players and the enemies is something I can't get sorted. If the players are walking and get a random encounter, how to I place the enemies? What formation do the players start in? Currently it's just "you see a goblin and you run and hit him" which isn't great.
>>
>>54590743
I like homebrew. Post your homebrew.
>>
>>54590743
/5eg/ is pro the homebrew process, in theory. It's just tired of shit that gets posted by creators that aren't willing to take any constructive criticism. Like, presumably, you.
This is bait, though, isn't it?

>>54590841
Sure, post the homebrew, but be prepared for criticism if it's not great. And don't take it so personally.
>>
How does the conjuration 2 wizard perk work? Could I use it to make oil or some other flammable material, then set it on fire?
>>
>>54590618
>a million times better
It's probably more like 20% better, but it's important that people know that fighter dips are 99% likely to be better off with BM.
>>
>>54590853
You can make ladders, ropes, ten-foot poles, and other things useful out of combat. And probably not the ladder or pole. Honestly the rope is a little questionable. But it's going to be hard to use an item that poofs if it would deal or take any damage as part of a combat strategy.
>>
>>54590930
Does creating something to cause a natural fire count as dealing damage?
>>
>>54590853
Yes, and if the person in the oil is also wearing flammable things, they would even remain burning, the oil serving as a way to conveniently ignite them.

You can make pretty much anything. Need a diamond to resurrect somebody? you got it.

The requirement is the object can't take damage, nothing about it dealing damage.
>>
>>54591001
Could it make a diamond? That seems overpowered
>>
>>54590743

1) Homebrewers tend to be more eager to create than they are knowledgable about the system they're creating for. This causes horribly broken, busted, or egregiously imbalanced creations at worst, and just poorly synergized or out-of-place creations at best.

2) Sometimes, homebrew just isn't necessary. Why homebrew a Katana when you can just use a longsword? Why homebrew a new spell when you could just refluff another one? So many things can be tweaked, even, just by switching damage type dealt. Homebrewing can lead to simply unnecessary mechanical complications. And if you read "refluff a longsword as a katana" and got angry about how katanas are thousand-folded steel or whatever and began screeching about the multitude of advantages it ought to have, refer to point 1.

3) Homebrewers themselves tend to hate taking criticism.
>>
>>54591056
>>54591001

How would you determine how much the diamond is worth? Presumably a diamond that disappears in an hour would be considered worthless by anyone who knows what it is. Could it count as a 300g diamond if you can successfully fool a jewelry appraiser into thinking it's real? How would you determine that?
>>
>>54591056
>Starting at 2nd level when you select this school, you can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space that you can see within 10 feet of you. This object can be no larger than 3 feet on a side and weigh no more than 10 pounds, and its form must be that of a nonmagical object that you have seen. The object is visibly magical, radiating dim light out to 5 feet.

>The object disappears after 1 hour, when you use this feature again, or if it takes any damage.

>inanimate
>no larger than 3 feet on a side
>less than or equal to 10 pounds
>nonmagic
>must have seen it before

Yes. As long as your character has been to a jewelry store, your character can use this feature to create a fairly large and heavy diamond. Or a regular sized one. Or anything in between.
>>
File: homebrew is gay.jpg (176KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
homebrew is gay.jpg
176KB, 960x1280px
>>54590743

>mfw
>>
File: 1501090291687.png (280KB, 646x595px) Image search: [Google]
1501090291687.png
280KB, 646x595px
Can one play a bard without constantly singing, rhyming or playing an instrument?
It feels like an really loaded class desu.
>>
>>54591001
errata means it disappears when it does damage
>>
>>54590841
>>54590743
>Hasn't responded to anyone or posted his high-quality homebrew
Maybe you're the problem, anon. When I was working on my shapeshifting rogue homebrew (shilled at http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1lTJj0S-), /tg/ was equal parts brutal and helpful. And it was only by listening to both that I arrived at something I was happy with.
>>
>>54591089
I'm a simple man. The conjured object has the worth of whatever its stats would say, though NPCs may treat it as worth less than that if they understand its nature.
>>
File: vncZ8J3.jpg (206KB, 700x951px) Image search: [Google]
vncZ8J3.jpg
206KB, 700x951px
Any ideas for a sentient weapon for a life cleric? I'm dry af.
>>
>>54591127

some sort of evil soul stealing weapon that is constantly at odds and bickering with the cleric
>>
>>54591135
What if this evil mace lets him cast healings spells against enemies and damage them, but his soul will start to corrupt or something?
>>
>>54591099

Listened to a podcast where a bard was a white-collar type motivational speaker. His instrument was "oratory," not singing or rhyming so much as just speaking well.
>>
>>54591178

That would be really shit since the healing spells in 5e are always weaker than damage spells.
>>
>>54591127
A quarterstaff or mace that believe in life very much. In fact, it will keep encouraging the cleric to create new life.
Yes, I mean sex.
>>
>>54591127
A small reliquary with bones of a saint of his religion. His talkative ghost is bound to the remains, and it may be that he is not as saintly and perfect as the stories tell. In fact, he may have been a heretic and a fuckup.
In time, he will learn the tragic extent of his failings.
>>
>>54591056
>>54591089
>>54591090
>the item is visibly magical
You can make it a diamond but it will not be useful as a diamond. I'm not sure if it'd be allowable for spell components but that could make it worthwhile on its own. A handful of various powders can come in handy, with or without reactivity. Also some cheese that the DM might not expect
>Keys
>Paperwork/identification
>caltrops/ball bearings/tripwires/etc mundane nonreactive stuff
The high level illusion specialist is better off than the low level conjuration but still usable.
>>
>>54591244
>visibly magical

That doesn't imply

>not useful

You're reading into a single line a rule that isn't there. It totally can be used as spellcrafting components. And yeah, the level 14 illusion feature is the best feature in the game, but it's also level 14. The level 2 conjuration feature might be the 2nd best feature in the game, and it's level 2.
>>
File: abe.jpg (112KB, 736x1099px) Image search: [Google]
abe.jpg
112KB, 736x1099px
How do play Triton?
>>
>>54591241
Sick DD reference, bro.
I like the idea of the false saint. The cleric is a Halfling pelor worshipper reformist priest.

Maybe this could be, dunno, something like an old evil bishop like the ones on Castlevania, claiming heresy on everything and shit.
>>
>>54591289
First grab a different game.
>>
>>54591285
I meant visibly magical diamonds are less useful, the feature is fine. I probly would put a GP limit on that shit myself if I was going to allow it to be components.
>>
File: claude_frollo[1].jpg (79KB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
claude_frollo[1].jpg
79KB, 640x356px
>>54591293
Put pic related in there. Bonus points: rip audio from the movie and use it to voice your magic weapon.
>>
How does using a rope or manacles to tie someone up mid fight work? Is there anything to base this on?
>>
File: dnd-kittens.jpg (71KB, 600x312px) Image search: [Google]
dnd-kittens.jpg
71KB, 600x312px
>>54591331
i've always ruled that once you have an enemy pinned, from there they can be bound by another party member
>>
>>54591331
Sounds like a job for grappling rules.
>>
>>54591331
grapple check to do it. If they're already grappled, automatically succeed.
>>
>>54591331

I think manacles can be used as an action but the target already has to be restrained. Personally never tried to tie someone up mid fight, I don't know what the rule is, but logically tying someone up with a rope strikes me as the kind of thing you do after beating someone when you have the time.
>>
But what about something like setting a rope up around one of their legs and then tightening the knot? That doesn't really require you to even touch them, right?
>>
>>54591315
Fair enough. But they could also be more useful!

>See this diamond timmy? how it glows? It's a magic diamond, it grants you one wish if you perform an hour long ritual with it. I'll teach you the ritual and give you the diamond if you give me the codewords. I've already used my wish diamond you see, this one is no good for me.
>>
>>54591289
Like Aquaman, king of Atlantis
>>
>>54591403
IF they're unaware of your presence, sleight of hand. If they're aware of your presence, grapple check.
>>
>>54591099
My next bard is going to be a singer/dancer. Proficient with instruments but doesn't make use of them for most abilities.
>>
>>54590177
>Not a melee class
kek
>>
I don't understand why people act like thief 3 is good
>>
>>54591084
>1) Homebrewers tend to be more eager to create than they are knowledgable about the system they're creating for. This causes horribly broken, busted, or egregiously imbalanced creations at worst, and just poorly synergized or out-of-place creations at best.

This. Game design is just like any other artistic pursuit; to be good it takes a dash of talent and a whole lot of repetitious practice. It's like fanfic writers who have this beautiful moving story in their head, but what they put down on paper is a clumsy mess of cliches and overly purple prose. The writer knows what they meant and can fill in the gaps, so they don't see all the bits that are missing and get annoyed when everyone else insists it's fatally flawed.

Good homebrew content is HARD. It takes a lot of work to get it right. I have nothing but respect for good homebrew. That doesn't mean I'll go easy on bad homebrew just to spare someone's precious feelings. Creative circlejerks where everyone just praises anything put forward are poison to actual improvement in your skills.
>>
if my player's Smith Artisan is adventuring in order to pay off a debt that threatens foreclosure on his family smithy, what's a reasonable sum for that debt?
>>
>>54590370
Thanks for posting that man, you're really helping inexperienced dms like me out.
>>
>>54591593
well you can look in the DMG for Expenses on maintenance for types of businesses then say multiply by a time limit?
>Shop cost per day 2 + worker cost 1 = 3 GP/day
>10 year mortgage = 3650*3 ~= 10kGP minus payments made
>>
What are some non-wizard spells wizards should have?
>>
>>54591836
None. They already have enough
>>
>>54591845
They could use augury
>>
>Make monsters hold back to ensure that the party still has fun.
>Encounters get breezed through and people want more of a challenge.
>Utilize all mechanical advantages of challenging monsters.
>Party ends up losing most of their blood and complaining about it.

I don't know if I'm a bad DM or if my players are just really stupid.
>>
>>54591836
eldritch blast.
>>
>>54591881
probly both
>>
Anyone have the "wizards of the coast not martials who boast mmkay" picture
>>
>>54591881
Think of it like a capekino movie. Who gets thrown through a building, or has a building dropped on top of them. The Hulk or Black Widow?
The one who can take it. Throw appropriate challenges at individual PCs, like the four goblins could all gang on top of the wizard, or 3 o them could charge the barbarian and one of them the wizard.
>>
>>54591321
It ended up like this

Pelor's Light
Mace +1 (cetre). Requires attunement from a Pelor worshipping criature.
Dmg: 1d6 +1 + Str mod bludge
+1 WIS mod.
3 charges of Dissonant Whispers. Recharges 1d4 each dawn.
3 charges of Zone of Truth. Recharges 1d4 each dawn.

Pelor's Light communicates telepathicly with it's user. Speaks and understands common. Listen and has normal vision in 15 ft.

INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 15

DM's Info: Pelor's Light it's a LE cetre that was owned by the Archbishop Claus Frollo, from Tizona (a country from my setting). He wa a cruel inquisitor that took thousands of lifes in name of Pelor. His counciousness and convicion was sealed into his cetre.
>>
>Nail down the basics of the setting (Tech level, magic, vague descriptions of other countries)
>Come up with some huge landmarks/landscape features that everyone might know about
>Focus on one region. Come up with some info on it's inhabitants, landscape, government and cities
>Build the starting town/area from the ground up
Is there a better way?
>>
Long story short, I want to convert some spells from 4e over to 5e. How overpowered is this, anons? For comparion, in 4e, it was a 3rd level spell that did 2d10 Cold+Lightning damage, shoved 1 square and knocked you prone on a hit.

Stormy Emotions
2nd level Evocation
Available to: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 10ft Sphere centered on Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

A writhing tangle of frigid cold lightning bolts erupts from your body and slams into those round you. All creatures in the sphere except for yourself must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 Cold damage and 2d6 Lightning damage and then be knocked prone. Creatures that succeed on this saving throw take half damage and are not knocked prone.

At Higher Levels: For each level of spell slot higher than 2nd used to cast this spell, increase the damage dice of both the Cold damage and the Lightning damage by +1d6 per level above 2nd.
>>
>>54592055

4d6 and prone on an AOE at level 2 is a bit much.
>>
>>54592055
Seems a bit on the strong side anon. 4d6 and prone is quite a lot and it scales better than most spells by adding 2d6 per slot level. Make it do 1d6 cold and 1d6 lightning instead. It'd still be powerful but not overtly so.
>>
>>54590784
Not if the enemy rolls better than the assassin on initiative. The enemy still doesn't get to move or take actions, but they no longer count as being surprised (and therefore no longer qualify for instant-crit).

>>54590834
...How ever you want. What you're asking is akin to going "If I just walk in to a room, where are the people inside of it?" - there's no inherent answer, but the room might give you hints. If its an office, people are likely going to be at their desks, but not EVERYONE.

Similarly you modify the situation *why* are the enemies there, what is the surroundings, and how would the surroundings and why affect their placement. Are they just trundling down the road unprepared? They might be clustered together. Are they trying to ambush? They might be spread out around the point, positioned to close off routes. Are they just in the underbrush waiting for a traveler...etc.etc.

Players start in whatever formation the players are in. That's something for them to decide - are they just wandering down the road in no real organization, or are they cautiously moving in a specific formation?

If you want to modify "you see a goblin and you run and him him", you need to introduce environmental variables, other things for them to do than JUST go hit that goblin, or other priorities.
>>
>>54592084
>>54592118
Thanks; I actually gave it the DMG's recommended damage for "1st level spell that hits multiple targets", but dropping it to 1d6s in excuse for the Prone effect seems fair.
>>
>>54592055

This is like a Thunderwave cast at second level except in a bigger AOE and with a better secondary effect. If another guy in the party is an Evocation wizard with fireball you could knock everyone prone and then he can blast them with disadvantages on all their saves.

The damage also scales higher than thunderwave at spell levels above second.
>>
Maybe ya'll can help me? I keep meaning to convert Swordmage spells to try and fix up the Bladesinger and Eldritch Knight, but this one I got no idea how to handle:

Mirrorblade Army
Swordmage 29
Daily * Conjuration
Standard Action
Ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a number of mirror images of yourself equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) within range. Each mirror image occupies 1 square. Enemies cannot move through an image's square, but allies can.

You can make attacks, including opportunity attacks, as though you occupied the same space as a mirror image. A mirror image still provokes opportunity attacks as normal for using a ranged or area attack.

A mirror image can be targeted by attacks. It has the same defenses, resistances, and immunities as you. A mirror image has 1 hit point and a missed attack never damages it. A mirror image reduced to 0 hit points is destroyed.

Sustain Minor: The effect persists.
>>
>>54591538
because they're stupid and don't realize that arcane trickster can do everything fast hand does with mage hand
>>
File: 1499281225307.png (38KB, 866x820px) Image search: [Google]
1499281225307.png
38KB, 866x820px
>>54591945
>>
>>54592262
I suggest you learn 5e before you start homebrewing.
>>
>>54592599
...That's the 4e rules for it. I posted it here so /5eg/ can see what I've got to work with and suggest what a proper 5e analogue for it might function as.
>>
>>54592055
>except for yourself
You are already given the option to choose whether or not you are in the area of effect as per spellcasting, you don't need to specify this.
>Cold and lightning
Sounds kinda awkwardly faffy for a low level spell.

Also I still don't get how it's a dex save because how the fuck do you avoid lightning espsecially when it's an AoE but lightning bolt is a dex save somehow
>>
>>54592262
What's wrong with just using mirror image?
>>
>>54592628
Oh, fair enough,
But you should already know how to do it, no?

Give your interpretation of the conversion and then we'll bash you.
>>
>>54589580
I think the idea of a secret that the character is unaware of, but not the player, is bad. You're not fooling anybody (literally) and there is no riddle to solve or surprise to be had.

Such things are better left to a competent DM to design and reveal at appropriate times. More fun for the player, too.
>>
This is my most recent homebrew. I probably need to nerf it A LOT but I love the concept.
>>
>>54592647
>You are already given the option to choose whether or not you are in the area of effect as per spellcasting, you don't need to specify this.
Thanks, I missed that part in the PHB.

>Also I still don't get how it's a dex save because how the fuck do you avoid lightning espsecially when it's an AoE but lightning bolt is a dex save somehow
It's a D&D tradition that most "blast of elemental energy" type Evoker spells tend to be dodged (Dex save). I don't know why it is, but it works for Fireball and Lightning Bolt.

>>54592661
Mirror Image is a low-level defensive spell. Mirrorblade Army, if successfully converted, would be a high-level tactical attack spell.
>>
>>54592727
But this does barely anything more than mirror image aside from some minor blocking and Eldritch knights don't have high level spells in general
>>
>>54588022
I'm a GM but they got wiped by trying to take out 5 drow
>>
File: Amazon.gif (139KB, 123x234px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon.gif
139KB, 123x234px
How do I go about making best waifu in the jav/spearzon flavor?
>>
crossbow expert or magical initiate to get eldritch blast + GFB for a bard?
>>
>>54592898
This reminds me
>want to do spear chucker+shield combo
>realise I only have one object interaction per turn
>>
>>54592898
>>54592955

>can throw 2 spears on the first turn and only one on subsequent turns

maybe as a Ranger so you can at least stack Colossus Slayer and Hunter's Mark damage on it?
>>
Player really likes sword of truth and wants to play a dream walker sent me this. Seems kinda cool. We'd start at level 8. Any reason not to allow it?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1aGv75I-
>>
>>54592955
Throwing Spears takes two hands?
>Shield 1hand, Javelin 1 hand
>Throw Javelin, end turn
>Next turn, use object interaction to draw Javelin and then throw it with your attack
>>
>>54593006
>Player really likes sword of truth
Tell him to get better taste in literature and then fix your link
>>
>>54592955
>>54592999
I did speak with my DM over it and holding javelins in the shield hand is acceptable so object interaction isn't really the issue. I'm looking for the best way to get that jab/lightning bolt flavor out of it. Spear and javazons were my favorite builds, but I've never been able to translate either one to D&D.
>>
>>54593016

yeah that limits you to one throw per turn,while a dude with a longbow can shoot twice and has much longer range
>>
>>54593016
It's like this
>I throw my spear
>I use my object interaction to draw another and trow that with my multiattack
>Next turn
>Uhh. I draw another spear and throw that... I guess I don't have multiattack anymore....
>>
>>54593045
Woops lol. That's for my Hail and Kill game.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1Z-iYUKLZ
>>
>>54590468
For what?
Going by the book?
>>
>>54593051
>>54593050
I realized after I posted. But surely, any GM would let you work around that and just allow you to draw multiple javelins/notch multiple arrows, right? What's the point in multiattack x3 if you can only attack at range twice?
>>
>>54593084
It's just the quirk of thrown melee weapons. You don't have the same issue with bows and arrows, and crossbows (with the crossbow expert feat)
>>
>>54592822
I'm presuming you missed the bit where you can make attacks through the mirrorblade clones?

For comparison, imagine if Mirror Image let you send one of the doubles some 20 feet away and then hurl a fully-functional burning hands.

And whilst Eldritch Knights don't get 9th level spells, Bladesingers, who are full-caster gishes, do.
>>
>>54588049
Could you tell us more about the adaptation?
>>
So, how do you guys handle the HP bloat?Just started a a bit ago, and last night was the first time we really got into a fight that just dragged on waaaaaay too long because the enemies had way too much HP
>>
How can a tiefling child be useful to a mercenary company?
>>
>>54592262
>>54592671
Fair enough.

Mirrorblade Army
9th level Conjuration or Illusion
Available to: Wizard, Warlock
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 50 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a number of mirror-clones, equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1). Each clone can be placed at any point within the spell's range that you could see and that you could occupy. All clones take up space equal to the space that you would, but allies can move through clones as if they don't exist.

Whilst you sustain this spell, you can use your actions to manipulate your clones instead. You can use your Move to instead move one or more of your clones in addition to or instead of yourself, although the combined total movement cannot be more than your movement rate. If you use your action to Attack, you can deliver attacks as if you were occupying the space of a chosen clone. If you have the Extra Attacks trait, you can split your available attacks amongst multiple clones as you prefer, although you cannot use more attacks than you would normally be entitled to.

Unlike normal Concentration spells, you can cast some other spells whilst maintaining Mirrorblade Army. Spells that have a Casting Time of 1 action, 1 bonus action, or Reaction and that DO NOT have a Duration of Concentration can be cast without disrupting Mirrorblade Army. You can cast any supplemental spell from within the space occupied by a mirror-clone.

Mirror-clones can be attacked as if they were normal creatures, in which case they have the same armor class, saving throws, resistances, immunities and vulnerabilities as you do. However, mirror-clones only have 1 hit point, and are destroyed when they are reduced to 0 hit points. You take no damage when a mirror-clone is destroyed.
>>
>>54593249
Child Wild Mage, company mascot, lucky charm, and blaster-mage.
>>
>>54593249

>Tiefling child is a loli

There ya go.
>>
has anyone here played triton? what was it like
>>
File: wolverine.jpg (2MB, 3600x2391px) Image search: [Google]
wolverine.jpg
2MB, 3600x2391px
So I'm playing a dwarf ranger and I'd like to have a wolverine as a beast companion. I've looked and looked but I can't find anything pertaining to them in 5e aside from character builds based on sniktbub Wolverine.
Does anyone know where I can find some 5e stats on wolverines, or am I just gonna have to deal with a normal phb critter?
>>
File: Tanya-the-Evil-4.png (483KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Tanya-the-Evil-4.png
483KB, 1200x675px
>>54593249
Like this
>>
>>54593279
>Unlike normal Concentration spells, you can cast some other spells whilst maintaining Mirrorblade Army. Spells that have a Casting Time of 1 action, 1 bonus action, or Reaction and that DO NOT have a Duration of Concentration can be cast without disrupting Mirrorblade Army. You can cast any supplemental spell from within the space occupied by a mirror-clone.
Anon what the fuck this is already how concentration works
>>
>>54593179

Turn enemies into glass cannons. Have them deal a LOT of damage so that the fight turns into a fast one, but one with high stakes.

Also abuse legendary/lair actions (or invent them) so that the big monster doesn't get shat on by the action economy.

Ultimately, as a DM, feel free to ignore stats and rolls to just have bad guys die "when it feels right" or when it's satisfying for them to.
>>
>>54593359

Giant badger? If size is an issue, ask your DM nicely if you can use the giant badger's attacks on a regular badger.

Or just refluff a wolf.
>>
>>54593428
>Have them deal a LOT of damage

Shit, it should've been implied but I also meant to say "but with a fraction of their HP."
>>
>>54593383
Wait, what? :skims PHB again:

...Well, I'll be damned. I always thought that casting ANY spell whilst you were Concentrating would end it. So you couldn't caste Haste and then Burning Hands, for example.

Huh, that simplifies the spell...

So, apart from that mistake on my part, how overpowered is it for a 9th level spell?
>>
>>54593279
So it's Mirror Image, but requires you to use Concentration, takes up a 9th level Spell Slot, and all you get out of it is some extra reach? This is comparable to Wish, True Polymorph, True Resurrection, Meteor Swarm etc?
>>
File: 403353.jpg (20KB, 330x247px) Image search: [Google]
403353.jpg
20KB, 330x247px
>>54593359
If it's not the Monster Manual or Volo's Guide it probably doesn't exist.

I recommend using the Giant Badger stats instead. They're the same animal pretty much.
>>
>>54593279
Seems pretty weak honestly. Nothing about the spell actually improves the amount of damage you're doing. Could make it so that each clone gets a single attack each turn or something
>>
>>54593502
>Mirror Image: A group of illusions clusters around you, lets you use them to take hits for them.
>Mirrorblade Army: Strategically placed duplicates can be used to launch attacks from different angles as needed.
>The two are identical.

...That must be some primo-grade crack you're smoking.

>>54593516
Huh, really? I would have thought that the ability to basically boost your range and reach would have been pretty powerful - this is a spell that lets you essentially get behind somebody to hit them with another attack.

But then, I suppose flanking isn't that big a deal in 5e unless you're doing some really old-school dungeon-crawling.

A bonus Attack per clone actually does sound pretty fair, and definitely more enticing. Any other critique that you'd offer?
>>
>>54590177
>Bladelock fix that doesn't even know what the problems are to begin with.
Classic. IDGAF anymore.
>>
>>54593577
The Spell Sniper feat can be taken as early as level 4 and doubles your attack spell's range while completely ignoring 1/2 and 3/4 cover. Angles and range benefit nullified. Which leaves you with a couple clones that take hits for you, exactly the same as a level 2 Illusion spell.
>>
I'm buffing Strahd

>Gave him the Shatterspike sword
>Gave him extra Hearts of Darkness spread throughout Barovia, one that ups his AC and one that advantages his stealth checks
>Gave him custom spells, like Zarovich's Crashing Chandeleer, and Rain of Blood
>Gave his DC's a +1 while he has in hand the Tome

What else have you guys done in your campaign?
>>
What's the best possible dual wield build?
>>
>>54592155
The DMG says a 2nd level spell that hits multiple targets should deal 4d6. If you want to drop it to account for the prone, it should deal less. Are you illiterate or something?
>>
>>54592175
>you could knock everyone prone and then he can blast them with disadvantages on all their saves.
>Prone
>Disadvantage on saves
Dude, no.
>>
>>54592262
That is similar in theme to the trickery domain's ability, for reference.
>>
>>54593709
Huh, thanks. The spell's intent is to make you a one-man army; create multiple duplicates that can also attack for you.

My problem is that I don't want to break 5e's action economy, which is why I initially didn't let them have 1 separate attack all of their own each. If it's fair to do that, then I'm glad to do it.

Also, do you think it makes sense to make the clones "Con modifier +1" in terms of summoned? That way, if you had 20 Con, you could conjure 7 clones.
>>
>>54593006
>>54593073
>Player really likes sword of truth and wants to play a dream walker
>Player likes a shit book and wants to play the most dangerous creature in the book
I'm not even going to read your homebrew. You should cut off his head and banish his followers to another dimension.
>>
>>54593772
That'd be six clones
>>
>>54591001
>nothing about it dealing damage
Read the errata you nigger
>>
>>54593795
You're right, sorry; I'm not sure where I figured that 20s translated to a +6 modifier from...
>>
>>54593179
You could try sucking less. Or at least providing more information if you actually want advice.
>>
>>54593577
>Any other critique that you'd offer?
Well, it creates (Constitution modifier) number of clones, which is dumb. You should fix that to use a real number.
>>
>>54593816
Not him, but what is the actual point of being able to conjure stuff if you can't create a weapon? It's "glowing, obviously magical" so you couldn't duplicate an item and trick someone, and you apparently couldn't make a quick weapon with it. Maybe you can pair it with keen mind and duplicate a guard's keys after being put in jail, but it's extremely limited.
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>54590841
>Post Homebrew
Okay!
>>
>>54593863
True, it was designed to key off of an Arcane Defender caster in 4e, which meant Int and Con were your two primary stats. What would you consider a fair number of clones to make? 4 or 5?
>>
>>54593665
Greatsword
>>
>>54593665
Swashbuckler 15/Battle Master 5 (Get Trip attack)
Swashbuckler 15/Path of the Totem 5 (If Strength)
>>
>>54593816
Personally I ignore that errata because it's stupid.

See >>54593875

Anyways, even with the errata, you can still deal damage with the object. It just disappears after. Conjuring dynamite is totally legitimate if dynamite is in your setting.
>>
>>54593875

You could conjure something like a pair of manacles to restrain an enemy, or take advantage of the "obviously magical" part and trick some poor peasant into thinking it's a rare magic item.
>>
>>54590743
>>54590841
> I like homebrew. Post your homebrew.

Would love to get some critiques on the following:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJMbkZIU-
> Fighter Options
> Gladiator: Charisma based fighter
> Beast Knight: Versatile fighter
> Sadist: Int based disabler in the same vein as Battlemaster, but with a combo system

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyycpK_K
> Paladin Oaths
> Bushido - Self explanatory
> Reason - Started off as "Truth", turned into objectivism / libertarianism because I was watching debates.
>>
>>54592898

UA Hunter Conclave Ranger.

>>54593084
It's .. It's really weird. GM fiat should allow you to side step around it, yes, absolutely, but /tg/ tends to not muck around with assumptions that DM's *won't* follow the rules. Notching multiple arrows is totally fine because bows have the Ammunition trait (can be drawn as part of making the attack), while thrown weapons do not (must be drawn via your object interaction).
>>
>>54590743
Because a lot of dms an anyone who runs an AL legal game don't allow them, so they're a pain in the ass to have to scroll past and ignore.
>>
Sup thread. Anybody have decent 5e conversions for World of Warcraft classes?
>>
>>54594588
Looking for something specific? Full on classes or class options?
>>
>>54587838
Our last TPK was completely accidental really. Our DM assures us that the encounter was CR 2 (our party was lv4), but this was a monster that dealt 20+ damage per turn, plus a legendary action that allowed it to deal AoE damage, plus a solid 80-100 HP and an AC of 18. Oh, and it could outrun all of the PCs and was essentially an enormous snake so escaping wasn't really an option.since it could just block the exit with its body.
>>
>>54594619
Either or, but full classes would be nice.
>>
>>54594635
CR is just complete bullshit anyway, I don't doubt it was 2
>>
>>54594635
The lowest CP creature that has legendary actions is the Unicorn, which is CR 5. Your DM homebrewed this shitheap and did not calculate its CR correctly if at all.
>>
Lets say there's a lawful good guy that's fucking huge and of a scary looking race, decked in heavy armour and wielding a massive weapon.
If he were trying to use his raw size and appearance to scare someone into doing something/giving up info/surrendering etc, but was never going to actually follow through on it if they failed, would it be Intimidation (obvious reasons) or Deception (calling their bluff) or perhaps even both?
>>
>>54594635
Well with the information you gave me, this thing should at least be CR 4. Probably CR 5.

So your DM fucked up.
>>
>>54594664
Yeah I don't know where he got his data really. I haven't been able to find where exactly he got his adventure, although I know that he didn't write most of it himself. I've tried to look up the monster but haven't been able to find it.

>>54594656
Isn't CP based on AC, DPR and HP? All of those seemed far too high, even without the legendary action.
>>
Man I really fucking hate elves
>>
>>54594720
A monster has the defencive CR, and the offencive CR. Then you add more for things like flying, abilities, AoE attacks and legendary actions.

This thing's offensive CR is very high 2 if it was just attacking each round with +3 Attack.

The defensive CR is 5 with that HP and AC. So an average of 3.5.

Then probably some boosts because of the AoE and other abilities. So it's at least CR 4.
>>
>>54594711
Intimidation. He's not lying about anything, he is big and scary.
>>
does a wu jen mystic with arcane dabbler need components to cast their spells?
>>
>>54594711
To the target, the two are functionally identical but if I were DMing I would call the check based on the player's intent.
>>
File: mind.jpg (1MB, 1960x2000px) Image search: [Google]
mind.jpg
1MB, 1960x2000px
So, brahs i need ideas...

How a seemingly good actions or typical good quest can covertly lead to disastrous consequences.

How for example helping a typical Dwarf faction to push ancient evil from thier stronghold bite players in the ass later, or killing off cultist bent on evil from current government lead to war in the land.

I can come up with thousands of typical plot hooks but i find myself literary inept at actually coming with ideas for something like that.

Ever did something like this in your campaning?
>>
Psionic Weapon discipline said I don't add STR or DEX to damage (until I'm level 6), but what if I use it with Animate Weapon discipline power?

Animate Weapon use INT to do damage, so it escape that loophole right?
>>
>>54595021
>How for example helping a typical Dwarf faction to push ancient evil from thier stronghold bite players in the ass later,

Push it where?

>or killing off cultist bent on evil from current government lead to war in the land.

Power vacuum. There is very little that evil abides less than other evil.
>>
>>54595021
Dwarf thing could go like this
>PCs chase ANCIENT EVIL to the depths of the earth
>Finally kill it, but they've now released an even worse ANCIENT EVIL, which escapes to the surface
Maybe have it be some kind of horror locked away, or a group/race of forgotten creatures
>>
>>54592123
It seems like you're saying the dude is surprised but you don't want him to be killed by the Assassin so you take away his ability. Let PCs use their features. If a player wants to say he spends a week and 25g to build a new identity and then infiltrated an important political enemies home and attack him while he's awake for an Insta crit, well that's the point of assassinate feature. Anyone can crit sleeping enemies.
>>
How serious business is a Fire Elemental for a fairly balanced Lv 3 party of 5?
>>
>>54595021
The dwarves are hoarding the cursed as fuck artifact that summons the ancient evil.
>>
I've got a question. From what I can tell RAW a surprised creature misses it's first round, after that it's fine though.

However I can find literally zero rules or Sageadvice to say the surprise wears off after that round. It seems RAW once a creature is surprised, it counts as surprised until combat's over.

Does this mean an Assassin does critical hits every turn? Obviously this sounds retarded but I really can'y find rules to say otherwise.
>>
>>54595274
The ones passing the stealth check and doing the ambush get 1 turn, then you roll initiative for all.
>>
File: wip8.jpg (117KB, 1098x766px) Image search: [Google]
wip8.jpg
117KB, 1098x766px
I beseech your aid
Tomorrow i DM, and i don't know what to give my players as an encounter.
They're level three, quite competent, and will be traveling through a dense forest alongside a river on the only path leading to the main road.
Got any ideas for interesting things?
>>
>>54595274
That's because it's built into the RAW.

> it's first round

After that everything proceeds as normal. There's no "state" of surprised that words need to be written that it ends. They miss the first round of combat. Everything after the first is no longer the first, therefore they don't miss it.
>>
>>54595331
That's not the rules at all. If it's your houserules then it's fine but I believe he was asking about RAW in the book.
>>
>>54595091
>>54595153
>>54595265

Lets say there is an actually BBG in play already, so adding moooore evil evil doesn't suffice as factions need to collapse on their own weight, or at least as a result of the consequences. That's the tricky part i think.
>>
>>54595352
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpT7dzy8Vyw

Depending on how lethal you want it, change up what's attacking them. Last time I ran it, it was all kobolds.

Before that, it was goblins being lead by a few hobgoblins.

Before that, it was NotRobin Hood and his NotMerry men and they were looking to disable instead of kill.
>>
>>54595356
>PCs push back Ancient Evil to the Dwarven Depths
>Final Battle takes place in an ancient Dwarven city
>Party discovers secrets previously unknown to the Dwarves that connect the race to the evil
>Social and political upheaval, possibly religious too
Something like that?
>>
>>54594635
Encounters don't have CR anyway. Monsters do. If he says the encounter is CR 2, he just means he has no idea what he's doing. As evidence later shows.
>>
>>54595352
Did you make this? I want more charming low-poly scenes like this.

Also check out the DMG page 87.
>>
>>54595356
Now the ancient evil is gone it's

> Moved on to some other city / faction / shmuck
> Retreating to get more power, or gather allies
> The Dwarves aren't exactly good guys to begin with, and now they don't have to deal with this ancient evil, they can focus their energy on other cities / factions / shmucks
>>
>>54595354
Yeah they miss the first turn of combat, and then everything else is normal. I get how that works but

>If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends

Then the Assassin ability says

>In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

The creature is literally surprised for the entire combat. Normally that means nothing because surprise only makes them miss the first round, but there's nothing that says the creature stops counting as surprised.

So why couldn't the Assassin just crit them each round? More importantly was this intentional in the rules?
>>
Anyone run Great Modron March in 5E? Or Mechanus in general?
>>
>>54595390
I was thinking something more... Cerebral? Something to fuck with them rather than just becoming another murderhobo moment.
>>54595431
I did not, found it on some board a while ago. Will check the dmg, though.
>>
>>54595447
anon you might be autistic.
>>
>>54595486

Then you could go with some "Most Dangerous Game" type stuff, like that area of the woods is someone's hunting ground, with traps and evidence of previously unlucky adventurers.

You could even play it out to where they don't ever meet a creature / monster / enemy, just traps and noises and signs that something is hunting them, but nothing ever shows up.
>>
>>54595447
It ends after the first round, you know your Rogue isn't supposed to have guaranteed crits for the entire encounter.
>>
>>54595447
Sageadvice clarifies how surprise works. I don't know how you missed it.
>>
>>54595517
hmm, that could work. could even be the forest itself. moving trees and the like would be sure to freak people out, yeah?
>>
>>54595407
>>54595439
>>54595091
>>54595153
>>54595265

Yes, more like it.

>>54595356

Shit you actually got it

I need ideas because there is a bbg at the end of the line pulling the strings, literary feeding on the chaos out of the players actions and then consequences seeing them as a naive playthings. He gives and shapes thier actions from the shadow and they do it thinking they actually help.

Ass move on my part but it will end all good so no worries there.
>>
>>54594009
Hoping for some feedback if anyone has any to give.
>>
>>54595548
Like a giant, malicious (or just hungry) Pando tree.
>>
>>54595595
could work.
another couple ideas i had are subtle mind-control bugs (would be hard to pull off), or skinwalkers/imitators/changelings.
>>
>>54590555
Sorry for the late reply. It's a few steps, but ultimately pretty simple. Assuming you have the plugin installed...

Click the settings (cog icon) in the top right of Roll20.
Click on "Import Spell"
Choose the spell(s) you want to import.
Return to the settings
Click "Prepare Drag-and-Drop Spells/Items"

Now those handouts can be dragged and dropped like the entries in the Compendium (i icon) into the appropriate spell section on the character sheet.
>>
>>54594009
Some of them are pretty cool. I don't know if I'd ever use them, because they do feel a bit bloated, especially the more powerful they become.

Also, in your mind, what's a typical progression / requirement look like to level a weapon up to full?
>>
>>54595461
Should translate across nicely into 5e. Hell, most AD&D stuff does. Maybe cut your teeth on it and tell how it goes
>>
Anyone have recommendations for how to make a good Immortal or Avatar Discipline Mystic?

I was thinking of having it's race be Hobgoblin.
>>
File: Upgrading Items.png (668KB, 488x936px) Image search: [Google]
Upgrading Items.png
668KB, 488x936px
>>54595642
The upgrading process depends on the weapon. It's tied to the purpose or creation of the weapons.
It usually requires heavy bouts of role-play, killing a certain number of creatures or a type of creatures. I also use the rules in Pic related for inspiration.
>>
>>54595560
Well meaning NPC's try to carry on the party's legacy, but go too far, awakening a long dormant force or provoking a militant nation
>>
>>54587838
5e needs a good minotaur race.
>>
What alignment would you be if you were incredibly kind,generous and merciful towards most races, but would eagerly slaughter even surrendering members of a few specific others? CN?
>>
So I'm rolling a tempest cleric, and we rolled for our stats, 4d6 drop low.

I wound up with(after stat bonuses from race as a hill dorf):

STR 13
DEX 9
CON 15
INT 12
WIS 15
CHA 11

How'd I roll? Should level 4 go to ASI or a feat?

Am I better served going in with my shield and warhammer or just casting sacred flame and being a babby ranged combatant for the first couple of levels?
>>
>>54595784
>Implying Minotaur isn't the best Sword and Board and Grapple race

You can just go Battlerager, pick up Brawny and congratulations you're kicking ass while grappling 2 creatures.
>>
File: konrad.jpg (11KB, 200x227px) Image search: [Google]
konrad.jpg
11KB, 200x227px
>>54595781
>>
>>54595825
Get that War Caster for safe options or Spell Sniper if your DM is constantly making use of cover imo.
>>
>>54595923
>Spell sniper
>For sacred flame

Anon...
>>
So I like giving my players paper flash card handouts for their magic items, and I want to add flavored text to it, but I'm running a little ragged on proper prose.

I want to give one for the cloak of protection in Death House, something that hearken to the adventure but at the same time evokes the protective nature of this device. Anyone want to put a hat on this ring?
>>
>>54595230
Serious. The thing has over 100 HP, resistance against nonmagical attacks, and deals damage to anything that touches it with a melee range attack. They could probably kill it but it'll drain a lot of party resources and your martials will hate you.
>>
so i'm gonna terrorize my players (3rd level) with mind-control bugs, and i couldn't find any good ones to use in the monster manual, so i made my own.
please rate/critique:

Psy-tick
organization: singles, lead to hives (10-30 ticks)
Tiny magical beast, unaligned
CR 1

Armor class 13
Hit points 3 (1d6)
speed 10ft, Jump 60ft

str 4 (-3)
dex 16 (+3)
con 8 (-1)
int 2 (-4)
wis 2 (-4)
cha 16 (+3)

senses: Cognisense 80ft, passive perception 5

Actions
Lunge: natural attack, +5 to hit
Blood drain: natural weapon, +5 to hit
Dominate person: spell, DC 13, 1 minute

Desc:
A nigh-transluscent parasitiform aracchnid,
the psy-tick hides in the deep forest and
lives in hives, instinctually gravitating outward
to entrap victims, connected to others nearby through
a rudimentary hive-mind.
they attempt to seize control of a victim's mind
from a place of hiding, and if successful, they
lead the victims towards their hive, after latching
on and starting to drain them.
the mind control is simple: walk that way, do not mind me.
>>
>>54595999
"The monsters can't get you if you're hiding under coats."
>>
>>54595784
We got the Krynnish Minotaur in Waterborne Adventurers and we got the Amonkhetian Minotaur in Plane Shift. What's wrong with one of those?
>>
New thread

>>54596354
>>54596354
>>54596354
>>54596354
>>54596354
>>
>>54595825
You rolled poorly, but not extremely poorly, but fuck your DM for making you roll for stats if it's a longer-termcampaign.

Clerics are mostly okay with whatever they try but don't forget spirit wepaon / guardians.
>>
>>54593820
Proficiency bonus maybe?
>>
>>54590225
>"Is it possible to play the game without..."
Rip question anon 2017.
>>
>>54590743
Oh, you're that guy who tried shitposting about your ayyys race. I needed a good laugh.
>>
>>54590193
You use Passive Perception not rolling
>>
>>54593075
picking up a weapon off the ground is a free item interaction as part of a movement or action. so no, his dm isn't going by the book and is being a complete faggot
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.