[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 14

File: 1471316856190.jpg (422KB, 880x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471316856190.jpg
422KB, 880x1080px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>54549535
>>
>>54557863
>no thread question
>only a single link in the old thread
Nigga what are you doing
>>
Yet another questionless thread.

THREAD QUESTION: what is something memorable you've done with a miscellaneous magic item, or something like a trident of fish command?
>>
>>54557863
Hi friends. I am currently playing a ranged Fighter and I was thinking of taking the Sharpshooter archetype. Does that sound like a good idea?
>>
From last thread

Idiot proof this idea for me

I'm running death house, but I'm replacing the Shambling Mound with a beholder zombie

Same CR, but I want to tweak the story so that Lorgoth (i.e the Mound) is actually Walter Durst, and this monstrosity is what happened to the stillborn baby at the hand of the cult.

Does it work, or having my level 2 party fighting the Shambling abortion monster a little heavy handed?

I'm worried about crossing a line with the female players, but I really think baby fuckery will be important to later screw with the Bonegrinder hags
>>
>>54557961
Yes it is.
>>
>>54557977
All I needed to know. Thank you anon.
>>
>>54557961
It's your only attack Roll, which means it's the only thing you do in combat.

Either you pick something that lets you do something else, or you pick something that lets you do what you do the best
>>
>>54557961
No it doesn't. Battlemaster is the better archetype even when using ranged weapons.
>>
>>54557976
>Idiot proof this idea for me
The only way to idiot-proof something in D&D is to never let it see play
>>
>>54557976
I don't like it. Heavy handed, unnecessary and risky.
CoH is already pretty grim and the book underlines that it's necessary to keep it a bit light at time in order for the players not to suffocate and just end up saying "eh, shit's fucked anyway".

It also doesnt make much sense from a Bestiary point of view, or you'd have to make the story contrived to make it work... and it would take away from the "barovians are fucked up" theme that the House is about.
>>
>>54558002
Are you talking about the feat instead?

>>54558005
How so?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13551226/r
GLAD YOU ALL SORTED THIS OUT
>>
Are there any guides besides the one in the DMG for creating bespoke monsters? Things that lay out the steps more clearly I have an idea, but I feel like a retarded manbaby because I can't get simple maths to work.
>>
>>54558082
>sound effects only
>only 1 vote
kek
>>
>>54558084

more clearly?* Sorry, phoneposter.
>>
>>54558073
The battlemaster has a ton more flexibility, while still being able to keep up with the damage somewhat. The problem with many of the fighter archetypes is that they are boring to play after a while, because all you do is attack and that is literally it. With battlemaster, you have all sorts of options to do, many include extra damage as well. Even Arcane archer has more things to do, even if it is a kind of crappy archetype as well.
>>
File: Carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>54557923
Funny you should mention the trident of fish command. Our barbarian once used it to control giant squids in the final epic battle. Really turned the tide of the fight.
>>
>>54558084
>bespoke monsters
¿Qué?
>>
>>54558129
>Really turned the tide
FUCKING CARLOS!
>>
>>54558125
Yeah I just looked at the maneuvers and the variety is very enticing. However, I don't mind playing rather simple with this current character. I'm running with a bard/druid/rogue and I'm the main damage in my group so I don't mind spending my days shooting niggas. Will definitely consider Battlemaster for another character in the future though.
>>
>>54558129
DAMMIT CARLOS
>>
>>54558129
Go back to Mexico
>>
>>54558171
Go back to Ireland
>>
>>54558134

Made to order. Custom monsters. No, reskinning won't work in this case as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>54558073
Because maneuvers are fun and better than Sharpshooter's shit.

Sharpshooter, at 3, lets you ignore some cover and gain 2+(Lvl/2) damage. That's 4 at level 4, 5 at 6, 6 at 8, and so on. This is useable THREE TIMES per short rest and requires your bonus action. You must declare this in advance and can potentially miss your attacks that round, whiffing them all. It also doesn't double on a crit, whereas a maneuver's damage would. It is, however, superior damage if you do something like Action Surge and land every shot.

A Battlemaster can apply 1d8 damage to FOUR attacks at the same level as the Sharpshooter, while imposing other effects (such as causing Frightened, knockback, or Prone which is not what you want to do as an archer but OK). They can also pick up defensive maneuvers to save their bacon when something closes to range, or the all-powerful Commander's Strike if you have a Rogue. This also doesn't use your bonus action, and you choose to spend maneuvers AFTER you confirm a hit.

You can also pick up the Sharpshooter feat if you want to ignore cover, which your enemies will never use to begin with.
>>
>>54558203
>Custom monsters
So homebrew? Why not just say that then?

What are you trying to make?
>>
I really want to be a heavy or even moderately armored knight that can leap really high into the air and other such acrobatic feats.

I like the ki jump stuff from monk so what can I multiclass to achieve my dream? Would paladin work at all? That's what I think I would prefer. Obviously not worried about optimizing for dpr, just want to have fun.
>>
>>54558258
Your jump distance is determined by your Strength score, not Dex, and heavy armor gives no RAW penalty to jumping, so you're already there. Have a decent Dex and Acrobatics proficiency and you should be good to go under any not-shit DM.

If you want to jump even higher, you could take the Magic Initiate feat to get the Jump spell once per day.
>>
>>54558258
Jump is a 1st level wizard spell that you might want to look at...
>>
>>54558207
Honestly, it sounds like Battle Master would work better if I were a melee character and more involved in the thick of things. I'm not knocking your idea or disagreeing with you but I am still leaning toward SS although BM seems like more reliable damage? Hmm.

I was going to choose the feat primarily for the -5atk/+10dmg thing.
>>
>>54558258
keep in mind, even with magic and items, your jump distance has a hard cap equal to your movement speed. High jumping will be, at best your max move -10.
>>
>>54558207
Pretty much this, and its 10th level ability is pretty trash too, you can just take the fighting type close quarters shooter if you are using UA.
>>
I'm a level 5 cleric. What's the best way to impress guillable peasants? So far, my most devilish idea is killing a guy and comtinuously casting Gentle Repose on him to extend the revive timer. I'll place him in a coffin on the main square, so people will look at him and see - yep, still dead.
After winter passes, I will cast revify, and he'll wake from his grave like he was taking a nap the whole time.
>>
>>54558304
If you play a Sharpshooter archetype and take the Sharpshooter feat, you're already invalidating one perk of the archetype. All you're left with is unreliable damage.

Battlemaster remains incredible at range. While you lose the power of Trip Attack (you can still use it and help out your melee guys, but it hurts you if you stay on that target), you make Menacing Attack way better. Menacing applies Frightened, and a Frightened creature cannot willingly move closer to you. It doesn't have to run away, but it can't step forward. This isn't tremendously helpful as a melee character, because you're already on the guy, and he can still make attacks on you (albeit at disadvantage). If the creature has yet to close on any party member, it literally can't, as long as they're not on the opposite side of it compared to you. And if they have? Maneuvering Attack to move your party member out of its reach. You can keep applying Menacing Attack and basically force an enemy to stand there or run away while the rest of your party beats the shit out of it from just out of reach, not having to worry about a thing. Even if it has ranged attacks, they're at disadvantage.

You can also use Precision Attack to help your Sharpshooter -5/+10 attacks land, potentially negating the penalty entirely or even granting a bonus above your normal AB.
>>
>>54558383
I understand it takes a higher level spell to revive the long dead, but is that really any more impressive than just reviving him from the get go from a peasant perspective?
>>
>>54558383
I'm not entirely sure, but I feel like with Gentle Repose you'd need Raise Dead, Revivify wouldn't work.
>>
>>54558318
>>54558407
Alright alright you guys are convincing me (I did notice the redundancy of choosing both SS archetype/feat).

So right off the bat, I should pick up Menacing, Trip, and maybe Precision (or maybe Precision later on)? Anything else vital? I will look through the maneuvers in the meantime. Thanks for such detailed responses, and all the help.
>>
>>54558438
>The spell also effectively extends the time limit on raising the target from the dead, since days spent under the influence of this spell don’t count against the time limit of spells such as raise dead.

Well, what about minutes spent under it?
>>
>>54558432
Yeah, a really good healer can "revive" a person too, and how can you be really sure that guy really died?
It's a whole different business when the corpse was obviously not breathing and moving for months.
>>
>>54558383
>banking on none of these peasants taking the two copper pieces off your corpse's eyes for longer than ONE MINUTE
>spending an entire year to enact this plan, ensuring you never lapse for ONE MINUTE
>being a dick and murdering a man
Nigger, why don't you just cure the peasants' diseases and magically heal their injuries? Un-break legs and arms, give sight to the blind, banish leprosy, save the town dog or child who ate some bad berries, magically stitch up grievous wounds, all that shit. They will love you and you won't even have to have been a dick about it.
>>
I'm DMing for the first time tonight, any tips? I'm probably going to do the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure.
>>
>>54557923

So, our party has a pair of oversized super storm giant gauntlets that allow you to temporarily gain 29 STR and deal lightning damage with your punches, at the cost of not being able to equip other weapons. It was a custom magic item that tied into this one guy's backstory and a quest hook and all that. The player of the character using these gauntlets drops out of the game due to scheduling conflicts, and so I end up with them. Out of the people left in the party, nobody fights unarmed so no one else wants to equip them. I just keep them in my inventory.

A while later, we're chasing a vampire who tries to turn into a bat and fly away, so I drink a potion of flying, chase after him, and trap him inside the gauntlets. I drag him back to where our cleric is drawing a magic circle, where we trap the vampire and interrogate him.
>>
>>54558516
>probably going to do the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure.
here's your tip, find a better module. That one has too many problems for a new dm to tackle.
>>
>>54558487
Isn't it kind of strange to just dig up a corpse one day and revive it though? Particularly if were were around right when they died
>>
>>54558407
Wait I just realized, isn't menacing attack just better than goading attack? Even if you're at range and someone else in the party is in melee with them so they are at disadvantage on all attacks, frightened does the same and also limits movement. Same save, both add damage, both on a hit.
>>
>>54558516
No tip, but good luck and have fun!
>>
>>54558442
Disarming Attack is a fantastic catch-all. Make sure your melee party members know to kick the creature's weapon away when their turn comes around.

If you have a Rogue, take Commander's Strike, especially in place of Trip. This lets them Sneak Attack again, since it takes place on your turn, not theirs.

Don't take Trip unless you have a melee-heavy party, particularly one where GWM is present. Advantage on their -5/+10 will be great.
Distracting Strike can replicate giving Advantage to your meleers without making the creature harder for you to hit, but it only works on the next attack.

Goading Attack is useful on a ranged character. It's actually a weaker Menacing Blow (same save and all), but could be useful if you wanted the creature to continue closing on the party.

If you can trick or get approval from your DM, Rally gives you a means of reviving downed allies at range. It's temporary HP, but still.
>GET UP FAGGOT
>they get up
>>
>>54558258
Mystic
>>
>>54558550
I would assume that you're not resurrecting an average chump with higher level resurrections. You're bringing back heroes, important figures, and other notable folk.

There's not going to be a lot of people who are capable of doing that, and it's unlikely they are going around to resurrect Olaf the Bull Milker.

After all, we all know why Olaf died in the first place. The title was posthumous.
>>
>>54558573
You can't be revived with temp HP
>>
>>54558538

Any ideas, then?
>>
>>54558615
literally any other module, most recommend lost mines for beginners.
>>
>>54558615
Lost mines of phandelver
>>
>>54558615
Lost Mines and Curse of Strahd are generally viewed to be the best modules, as far as I've seen. I would say run Lost Mines.
>>
>>54558603
>If you can trick or get approval from your DM
>>
>>54558615
Lost mines of Phandelver. Once you feel confident, move unto Curse of Strahd
>>
>>54558641
I've run Lost Mines and its fantastic, also running SKT now and its pretty good too.
>>
I have been reading a lot about the farm realm for a while now, I think I've read everything about it in the FR wiki. So now i am planning to play in the next campaign a human from the farm realm who came to the material plane in his spaceship (stolen from mindflayers) but lost it in a crash and now his goal is to remake it so he can go back to his plane.

What do you guys think? He is a matt mercer gunslinger refluffed with laser weapons.
>>
>>54558442
Trip isn't too great unless you have several other melee martials in the party. Commander's Strike is a must if you have a rogue but I guess you don't in which case precision and menacing are the best ones and then trip, disarm or distracting strike are alright I think.
>>
>>54558669
>farm realm
kek
>>
>>54557863
Why have you got a dark souls 2 character in the op
>>
>>54558516
Oh. Read this:
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
>>
>>54558669
>Farm Realm meme again
OK
>spaceship
OK
>stolen by mindflayers
OK
>rebuilding your spaceship
OK
>Gunslinger
OK
>laser weapons
OK
>HUMAN FROM THE FARM REALM
No. You can't be a normal-ass dude from the plane of sanity-rending horror.
>>
>>54558655
You have shit taste then. SKT is almost as bad as Tyranny
>>
So are Martials and Wizards actually balanced in 5e? Serious answers only please. I want to know before I try to learn the system.
>>
>>54558702
Fuck off, the only part that is even remotely bad is ch.3
>>
>>54558706
no, but they are a hell of a lot closer than they were in 3.X
>>
>>54558706
In terms of respective power? More than in any other edition
>>
>>54558669
Is the Farm Realm like Wales, or is it Tatooine? What's the role of Toshe station and power converters?
>>
>>54558573
Sweet. Thanks dood. I'll grab Disarming, Commander's, and Menacing for now.

>>54558684
I do. My group is a bard/druid/me/rouge. Thanks again y'all.
>>
File: 1496103806088.jpg (25KB, 320x304px) Image search: [Google]
1496103806088.jpg
25KB, 320x304px
>>54558669
>>
>>54558706
Nope. But it is not nearly as disgusting as in PF or 3.X. Also until lvl 11 is okay.
>>
>>54557976
I put a Devourer there for sharts and gargles.
>>
>>54558731
He's talking spaceships and lasers, of course it's Tatooine.
>>
>>54558706
No, but casters can't really replace martials like they could before. A guy with a sword isn't useless.
>>
>>54558693
Not OP, but why not?

>>54558669
I almost thought you weren't trolling but then you said you were using a Matt Mercer homebrew.
>>
File: eldritch knight.jpg (82KB, 500x748px) Image search: [Google]
eldritch knight.jpg
82KB, 500x748px
>>54558706
Martials and wizards are on par in combat. Martials are better at taking out single target, wizards at controlling battlefield.

Out of combat, wizards reign supreme, unsurprisingly.
>>
Battle Master Fighter here. What are good artisan tool suggestions?
>>
>>54558787
Cook's Utensils so you can have some kind of use outside of combat
>>
>>54558787
I took cartographer tools.
>>
>>54558787
If you have some permanent-ish place of residence, brew it up
>>
>>54558787
>mason's tools
>convince the DM your knowledge of stonework means you know what part of the building to hit to collapse it. build a golem

>carpenter's tools
>the above, but for wooden structures. also, make sweet siege weapons and barricades

>chef's tools
>cook and eat the shit you kill

>smith's tools
>repair your party's equipment, make weird new weapons like a bladed shield, boots with knives in 'em, or the collapsible 10 foot pole
>>
>>54558778
Also, wizards are generally better, if you can take long rests often. Recommended amount of encounters between rests being 6, that can put strain on spell slots.
>>
File: 1482013926502.gif (771KB, 381x400px) Image search: [Google]
1482013926502.gif
771KB, 381x400px
>start a new homebrew campaign
>friend wants to introduce his friend to the game
>player wants to play a gender fluid wizard from a far realm
>at a table with largely conservative people who hold fairly traditional views of gender/sexuality

what do? is it possible to handle this without the table exploding? or is this something not worth worrying about?
>>
>>54558868
just make it a running gag, like elves
>>
>>54558868
>No. Play something normal
>>
>>54558868
If you have a WIZARD from the FAR REALM in your party, their gender is the last thing you need to worry about the fluidity of.

Honestly, a character being from the Far Realm and being straight is a bigger red flag. If you don't want to touch this shit, just tell them no Far Realm characters. It doesn't make a lot of sense to begin with but that's the point of the Far Realm
>>
>>54558868
>Things americunts have to worry about
It's so nice to live in a conservative christia country untouched by western """values""".
>>
>>54558868
If your players are big enough manbabies that something that triggers them in a game of pretend invades their safe space and causes a problem, you might want to be concerned about that first.
>>
>>54558948
>conservative christia country
>untouched by western """values""".
The only way for this to make sense is for you to be Orthodox, because Protestantism and Catholicism are both Western inventions
>>
>>54558948
Are you typing this while your sister is being raped by muslims, or
>>
>>54558868
literally all your players are shit
wizard player is shit for not considering player/party cohesiveness, rest of party are shit if they can't handle opposing views in a game of pretend.
>>
>>54558983
>Untouched by Western values
>Implying he doesn't rape his sister himself
>>
>>54558383

Cast three effects of Thaumaturgy to cause harmless tremors, turn your eyes fully black, and boom with a thundrous voice that YOUR SINS HAVE WROUGHT THE RECKONING OF YOUR GODSSSS
>>
>>54559003
>implying he has a sister
Probably some Pole who's fled their shithole of a country after Mama and Papa sold their only daughter into sexual slavery to pay the bills. Now they're living in Britain as a migrant worker themselves, complaining about "THOSE FUCKING PAKIS" while being exactly the sort of trash they decry.
>>
>>54559016
even acolytes (from the monster manual) can use thaumaturgy so i doubt it would impress anyone. probably just yell at you to keep the racket down.
>>
>>54559050

Do peasants have much experience with acolytes?
>>
>>54559037
>Projecting this hard
>>
>>54559085
>Acolytes are junior members of a clergy, usually answerable to a priest. They perform a variety of functions in a temple and are granted minor spellcasting power by their deities.

if there's a temple nearby then sure.
>>
>>54557923
One of my characters have the Boots of Spider Climbing, when he gets nervous he starts to pace around the entire room from the ground to the ceiling and walls.
>>
>>54559085
>>54559121
Surely they go to bless their crops once a year or whatever, acolytes using thaumaturgy for prank/illusioning is some bullshit though. Just general 'see i have power' stuff unless you can get someone to handwaive all the components.

Worthless prestidigitations with verbal & somatics.
>>
>>54559104
Ah yes, the new equivalent of "n-n-n-no y-y-you". You sure showed him.
>>
>>54558868
I don't think gender fluid would really annoy people as much if actual shapeshifting was involved
>>
Question directed at those DMs who award XP rather than level by milestones: Do you award full XP for tactical retreats from difficult encounters?
>>
>>54559259
Not for retreats. If they get out of some sort of trap or ambush then you can give partial xp, but if they're in a fight and the party goes "nah, let's get out of here"? No xp.
>>
Online DMs, where do you get resources for mapping?
>>
>>54559259
You can do exp that doesn't run on monsters such as loot = exp
In that case tactical retreats don't award any exp, but killing monsters doesn't give exp either.

If a monster has loot, your primary goal is to get that loot, not necessarily kill the monster.
>>
>>54559370
Hex/City/Dungeonographer or Maptool. Both have free versions.
>>
>>54559259
>>54559379
I could totally see getting XP where you get loot out of monsters but the primary XP thing is solving the problem that monster is representing. If the monsters go with or without the killing or if without loot they have no reason to stick around to hold whatever place you've raided, that's XP worthy.
>>
>>54559259
it's best to award XP for "goals" instead of monster kills, it will open up far more options for you and your group. For example:
Goal: Defend the bridge (3000xp), Failure (0-500xp)
they'll get the xp if they kill all the monsters, drive them off, convince them to attack something else, work out a trade deal with the monsters, hire mercs/bigger monsters to guard the bridge for them, etc.
>>
Is there a way to make a Barbarian 'face' character work?
>>
>>54559435
He rips off peoples faces when they don't agree with him.
>>
>>54559154
IRL I'm a pacer. If I had the boots, I would totally pace on the ceiling without even realizing it.

>>54559435
Take a background that gives persuasion, and make charisma your second-highest stat. Barbarians in armor don't really need CON at all. Use a shield and you'll be fine - without feats, barbarians barely care about the weapon type they're using.
>>
>>54559435
UA Path of the Ancestral Guardian should work out flavor-wise. As for skill proficiencies, take a background like Noble or Guild Artisan
>>
>>54559358
I'd think it depends on the kind of game you're running. If I were to run a more "classic" game I'd use loot=xp or something of the sort as >>54559379
says, since it discourages getting into meaningless fights just for the xp
>>
File: Whiplash.png (203KB, 379x382px) Image search: [Google]
Whiplash.png
203KB, 379x382px
Strahd is (essentially) going to give this cursed dagger to one of the party members in exchange for a lock of his hair (to scry with).

Guy's an Arcane Trickster.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54559474
Although, just as a note, this may be a bad idea in 5e. There's a reason loot=xp is no longer the rule in WotC editions
>>
>>54559370
Illwinter's Floorplan Generator combined with donjon dungeon generator.

I generate it on donjon then recreate it with the Floorplan Generator.
>>
>>54559536
> Illwinter's Floorplan Generator
Thank you for that, never heard of it before. Is it worth to buy?
>>
>>54559523
if the guy isn't just a complete knob, he'll use booming blade instead.
>>
>>54559523
The curse is lame and isnt much of a downside
>>
Anyone else feel Legendary Resistance is total bullshit?
What are you supposed to do if you're a caster here? Just roll over and die?
>>
File: Blackthorn Basement.png (2MB, 1536x1408px) Image search: [Google]
Blackthorn Basement.png
2MB, 1536x1408px
>>54559585
It's only $5, and for what it does, it's pretty good.

This map isn't amazing, but I made it with the program in about 10 minutes.
>>
So the DMG has an optional role for rolling a die instead of adding the a flat proficiency bonus (2=d4,3=d6 and on so).

I was thinking it might be interesting to have it so players ability modifies were done in the same exact matter? 16 Str equals a D6, 18 a d8 ect.

One thing you could do have a player's result carry over between attack and and damage. So the "strong hit" is favourer over the lucky hit.
>>
>>54558516
You need to prepare before running anything, unless you're experienced enough to pull shit out of your ass.

If you don't know what you're running on the day of, push the start back a week.
>>
>>54559523
An item that grants disadvantage on attacks, thus nullifying sneak attack in most circumstances, with a curse that prevents its removal, given to a Rogue.

My thoughts are "you're being a dick".

A certain amount of dickery may be appropriate for a campaign featuring a competent and active antagonist, but it's a little too perfectly rules-oriented and abstract to feel like this dick move comes from Strahd or any other character in the game.
>>
>>54559626
can vampires be sneak attack'd in 5e or are they immune to crits and all that?
>>
>>54559612
It's precisely so that casters can't instantly end an important encounter with a stroke of luck and a save-or-die. I agree that it's kind of an iffy concept which would be redundant and annoying if casters weren't stupid powerful, but as things stand it's a necessary evil. And you can cast another spell
>>
>>54559612
>whining about the one thing that gives high level casters a challenge
>>
>>54559605
I think it's a huge downside but I agree it's not really inspired. Do you have anything in mind?

>>54559595
He didn't go for Booming Blade, that's kinda why I'm thinking of this. Is he a knob? Mayne. Is that really my problem? Not really.

>>54559626
My Strahd is a 4th wall breaker, and I'm pretty sure Zarovich is Barovian for dickery.

>>54559666
No sneak attack immunity in 5e
>>
>>54559666
Nothing is immune to Sneak Attack.
>>
>>54559626
It's just against vampires, and the "curse" is exactly the same as Demon Armor's effect except against vampires rather than demons
>>
>>54559595
Also, this is booming blade on a reach weapon. A thing Booming Blade actually cannot do since the spell has a range of 5 feet.

>>54559698
Yeah... As I said, not really inspired. If any of you guys have a better idea I'm game!
>>
>>54559730
>Also, this is booming blade on a reach weapon. A thing Booming Blade actually cannot do since the spell has a range of 5 feet.
rogues don't care, bonus action withdraw negates the need for reach in most cases.
>>
>>54559422
It would be bad to lead players to a place only for them to find nothing and go home only to get nothing as well.

Any sane DM should be reasonable, then: Don't lead players into situations where your XP system breaks down. If your XP system encourages players to fight every single monster, have every single monster be fightable and award no XP on failure.
If you award XP for loot, make sure there's XPloot in all places the players may go to.
>>
>>54559670
Really I don't know why there is save or die spells to begin with but I guess legendary immunities it's a necessary bullshit to cancel that bullshit.
>>
>>54558725
I like how 5th closed 3rd ed's power gap, but c'mon, 4th had hands down the best balance
>>
>>54559749
Yeah but the original question was about retreating, shit's pretty fucked if you can back off and still get XP for failure.
>>
>>54559679
Technically if your weapon did fire damage and you chose to sneak attack a creature immune to fire they would be immune to your Sneak Attack.
>>
>>54559677
>My Strahd is a 4th wall breaker, and I'm pretty sure Zarovich is Barovian for dickery.
In that case, go for it. Just be aware that it is an absolutely perfect "gift" for a Rogue, and your player is going to want to find a get-out clause for it. Unless there's a better character for it, you might want to arrange for that player be the guy who wields the Sunsword by way of karmic balance. It IS finesseable.
>>
>>54559815
That'd be more of an immunity to your damage type and not sneak attacks themselves
you git
>>
>>54559809
If the DM wants to reward players for playing smart and backing off from certain fights, the DM shouldn't use monsters=XP at all.
>>
>>54559791
>4e
kek
>>
>>54559861
Yeah, I getcha.
>>
Looking for feedback on my completely balanced houserules.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJwohUkOIW
>>
>>54559865
Or just reward the same amount of xp for getting around the encounter another way than fighting.
>>
>>54559791
Balance isn't always a good thing.
>>
>>54559875
There are a lot of things 4e did wrong but class balance wasn't one of them
>>
>>54559897
>Balance isn't always a good thing.
you're right, it's only a good thing 99% of the time.
>>
>>54558948
>Things americunts have to worry about
Or anywhere that isn't northern Europe.
>>
>>54559890
>5 min short rests
>no changes to Pact Magic or battlemaster
What could go wrong?
>>
>>54559896
No.

Monsters=XP makes it clear that the player's goal is to murderize all the fucking monsters.
If you want to make exceptions to that rule, use milestones.

Same with loot=XP. You set a non-arbitrary goal for the players to loot such as magical tokens or gold, and they gain XP for that. If you want to say 'But actually I'll give you XP for looting a magical sword' or 'I'll give you XP for beating this bunch of monsters up' you should be using milestones unless you've made it clear beforehand that those are rewarded too.

XP exists as a less arbitrary way of levelling and once you start introducing arbitrary 'oh, go on then, have some XP' elements there's no longer any point.
>>
>>54559930
>Wizard exists
>Bard Exists
I did forget to mention there aren't 6-8 combats a day though, with 2-4 per day long rest powers are as much better and mostly rogues get left in the dust.
>>
>>54559940
I like milestones as well
this isn't Advanced we all level at the same xp rate and theres no multiclassing or dualclassing shenanigans to account for
>>
File: A-Gelff-1920.jpg (102KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
A-Gelff-1920.jpg
102KB, 800x420px
>>54559890
i don't think anything in 5e needs a nerf

>>54559746
except when you use 2 weapons, like a silvered shortsword and a magical whip for example

let me guess you have a "rogue: the complete guide" next to your bed?
>>
>>54559952
i see you fail to understand just what kind of horseshit a warlock can do with 5min of downtime.
>>
>>54559913
I wouldn't say 99% of the time, but it's conditional.

3e is unbalanced in a bad way. One class overshadows the others.
4e is balanced in a dubious way. It helps keep classes from overshadowing each other, but it reduces the difference in playstyles somewhat. This is over 90% good because there's still differences between classes and they have roles, but I'll still say they aren't quite distinct enough.
5e isn't perfectly balanced but classes are still good at what they're good at for the most part without overshadowing each other with some definite exceptions.
>>
>>54559984
>except when you use 2 weapons, like a silvered shortsword and a magical whip for example
when you booming blade, you don't get an offhand attack, you fucking mongoloid.

>let me guess you have a "rogue: the complete guide" next to your bed?
No anon, i've just played an AT before.
>>
>>54559940
Well I'm an advocate for removing xp and just leveling up the party when you think enough sessions have passed, or you get to a good point to level them up in the campaign.
>>
>>54559995
5e has most of the balance issues be noticable within subclasses of the same class at least.
>>
>>54559952
You shouldn't be balancing warlock and battlemaster with wizard and bard in mind. With your changes, you'd need to be stupid not to pick battlemaster, and ranged martial builds all look silly compared to warlock

Not to mention you're probably massively overstating wizards and bards anyways but that's beside the point
>>
>>54559984
>let me guess you have a "rogue: the complete guide" next to your bed?
not him but I have the Thief's Handbook next to mine
>>
>>54559995
Sometimes I think Pathfinder has the right idea, balance by pure fucking incompetence, "we didn't expect people to lightly analyse (see: read) the rules and turn the Alchemist into a Pokemon master that can not only out summon the summoner but also out bard the bard.", fucking hilarious.
>>
>>54560003
ok i'll make it simpler since you apparently are a bit slow

you can use booming blade and withdraw on a bonus action
you can also play a two-weapons fighting rogue

i'm sure you're the kind of guy to think that 1 way of playing is the absolute best, and moreover the only way of playing

but i'm also pretty sure you're autistic so there's that
>>
>>54560050
>turn the Alchemist into a Pokemon master
Wait really? lel
>>
>>54559982
I'm not necessarily saying I like milestones but milestones is better for most 5e campaigns.
XP is better for campaigns that have a clear, hard goal that can be quantified in XP such as monster difficulty ratings or gold quantity or 'people saved from aliens' or whatever the heck.

On the latter you could use milestones and on the former you could use XP but XP when you have a more freeform campaign either loses its meaning as you start awarding XP milestones-style anyway or players are punished for smart decisions.
If you use milestones in the case where I said XP would be better it would make the player's feel more restricted by the DM whether the DM thinks they're being fair or not, 'Why did you only give us this much XP when we saved ten times as many people from aliens as the last mission? Is it because you fucked up and now feel we deserve less XP because the mission was conveniently easier?'

Also monsters=XP or gold=XP makes more sense when you add in an element such as players somehow absorbing the magic from gold/monstersouls in order to level up at a rate that most people wouldn't normally level at.

>>54560005
It's easy mode for the DM but it's more advisable.
>>
>>54560066
>>>withdraw
>>
>>54559930
>Warlock/cleric proceeds to cast aid, warding bond, armor of agathys everywhere, keeps the entire party under the effects of 'suggestion' all the time and churns out heals like no tomorrow
'Hey, at least they're not a wizard'
>>
File: Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg (185KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg
185KB, 500x731px
>>54560092
hey i'm using the other guy's vocabulary

don't wanna make it too hard for him apparently a simple conversation is already more than he can handle
>>
>>54559988
Short rests can only be done after combat.

>>54559984
Mostly buffs to sorcerer, land druid, berserker, champion, ranger, Wot4E, trickery cleric, and bladelock. Which I consider to be a bit weak even if they're still perfectly playable.

>>54560027
I'm not worried about wizards and bards normally, but with half as many combats or even fewer, full casters have a lot of spells to throw around so even at low levels they're quite powerful. I don't see how battlemaster is any worse than warlock compared to before, it's as big a buff to both, and the only worry is buffing everyone -but- the ones that don't have resources, which with a champion buff I'm hoping isn't a big issue. I may be completely misjudging it, but I'm not hearing a lot of reasons for why warlock is so much more affected by the changes.
>>
>>54560126
well im playing a land druid at the moment and they're actually very, very good. some of the circles are a bit weak but grassland is awesome.

you still nerfed a few classes and i think you shouldn't.

trickery cleric doesnt need a buff, it needs to be revised.

i think you're biting more than you can chew and you should stick to simpler fixes.
>>
What's an acceptable penalty for a party wipe if I'm not trying to kill them off?
>>
>>54559670
>>54559673

>some of your spells are too good
>so the solution is for you to do nothing for 3 turns
>>
>>54560073
Yep, there's a archetype that basically gives you a loli companion that can cast your spells (that are functionally identical to potions), so you and your loli companion both wear special gloves that let you inject theses potions into people at twice the normal drinking rate, what happens when you combine this with a archetype that let's you cast summon monster in exchange for losing poison resistance? 4 augmented summoned monster per turn
>>
>>54560066
We're talking about arcane trickster here, anon. The DM wants to give him an item that is just booming blade with reach and makes his useless against the main threat of the game. Booming Blade is just superior in every way in that regards. the extra 5ft of reach doesn't matter when you can just spend a bonus action to match it.

Yes two-weapon fighting rogues are absolutely a thing, just, not on an arcane trickster, their Action + Bonus action is better spent on spells and withdraw/dash. Even without Booming Blade, Spell+dash/withdraw is much better than TWFing.
>>
>>54560171
strip them of gear
>>
>>54560182
Don't only Swashs dual weild for the purposes of hopefully getting their sneak attack off if they missed the first time or to attack everyone and then move to not trigger AoO?
>>
How would I go about lowering the rarity of a staff of healing to uncommon? What spells should be removed?
>>
>>54560200
>>54560171
ransom their gear, rent it back but add interest to their ransom-debt. Force them to perform tasks for baddy team. Practically makes its own plot hooks if you've got suitably human enemies.

>TPK in level 1 dungeon
>Negotiate it down to serving a minor criminal organization
>Have to take down entire city's underworld to get my fuckin pants back
>>
>>54560175
C'mon, it is like saying some of your attacks are useless, because they don't insta-kill oponents and you need to spend your turns cutting their HPs down. Legendary resistance is just another, albeit specific, health track.
>>
>>54560175
Or get the monk to throw 4 stunning fists a turn until the creature is either permastunned or loses all its resistances and is then stunned anyway
>>
>>54560242
Mass Cure Wounds, obviously
>>
>>54560255

No, it's like saying that your attacks are useless because an enemy had an ability to autododge them so you did 0 damage
>>
>>54560278
You know you can do things that don't rely on saves right? "I don't have enough choices" is only a problem for casters in bizarro earth
>>
>>54560278
That attacks aren't useless if they use up the creature's legendary resistances :^)
>>
>>54560237
no, other rogues do as well, just not AT's because they need a hand free to cast. TWF on an Arcane Trickster is like making a heavy armor barb.
>>
>>54560164
I don't understand where the 'Land druids suck' meme comes from. I guess comparing it to bonus action wild shape tanking and HP?
Either way I've been wanting to play one with the Underdark circle. Web? Stinking Cloud? GREATER INVISIBILITY? How is this considered 'unviable'? On top of that you have arcane recovery allowing more casting, guidance cantrip, faeri fire, thornwhip and aplethora of control options.

'Moon druid exists so land is 100% useless' meme must die.
>>
>>54560164
>Land druid
I do think they're good, I just think Moon has a lot of their power (almost as many spells and spell slots) as well as very powerful shapeshifting. When only playing around level 3-7, it's even stronger in comparison. My buffs may still be unreasonable though.

>you still nerfed a few classes and i think you shouldn't.
Bard got a small nerf, that's literally it overall. There are some that get nerfs to how many times they can use short rest abilities and such but that is to make them more consistent as short rests are 5 minutes so they can use it once every battle guaranteed instead of 2-4 times for 2-4 battles.

>trickery cleric doesnt need a buff, it needs to be revised.
>i think you're biting more than you can chew and you should stick to simpler fixes.
So some of the changes are too much (I'd assume bladelock because it is a mess and trickery cleric, maybe zerker/champion?) and I should leave it to someone else to do a complete rework instead of writing some convoluted bandaid buffs? I can see that, but at the same time I haven't found any reworks of them and a bandaid seems better than nothing.
>>
>>54560366
land cleric is a perfectly good choice, but people have giant throbbing erections over wildshaping.
>>
>>54560366
>'Moon druid exists so land is 100% useless' meme must die.
>Which I consider to be a bit weak even if they're still perfectly playable.
No one said that in this thread, don't be one of the retards that bring up a meme just to say it shouldn't be brought up.
>>
>>54560400
well shapeshifting is traditionally much better than a couple extra (mediocre) spells which can potentially even be picked up in other ways. It's not as strong in 5e though so it's less cut & dry over which is "stronger"
>>
>>54560126
If the Battlemaster can go full ham with the action surge + superiority dice novaing every single encounter, you're going to need to buff champions much more. Warlocks, similarly, get to start every encounter with 2 damage spells and then switch to EB
>>
>>54560446
So make remarkable athlete level 7 still instead of 3, and the action surge at 3? I think it's reasonable to remove the invocation nerf so they still need a slot to cast, but idk if it's a big problem for them to cast 2 5th level or whatever spells per day while every other full caster gets 2 5th level, 3 4th level, 4 2nd level and 4 1st level. And that's just their slots, warlock does good at-will damage compared to other casters but now that isn't as big of a deal I would think?.
>>
>>54560400
As said land druid is strong enough with their form of arcane recovery which makes them an odd nature wizard but moon druid is just better.

Moon druid fills an odd gap of 'tanky caster', gives them better at-will damage and better utility in the form of more wildshapes to choose from if you choose to use wildshape for non-combat utility.
Mostly the whole tanking thing though.
Also they're brilliant as 'rolled poor stats' characters if you ever are forced to roll for stats and didn't immediately quit the game.

Honestly moon druid probably isn't an issue in less hardcore games because having a big HP buffer from a mini-bonus-action-polymorph-twice-a-short-rest isn't important but in more hardcore games where health is actually a limited resource that the loss of such might get you killed - moon druid is suddenly good.
Also good at low levels, of course.
>>
File: 1496641034694.gif (410KB, 221x196px) Image search: [Google]
1496641034694.gif
410KB, 221x196px
>Finally able to play.
>Group includes someone that is incapable of taking anything seriously ever and makes everything 'random' or funny.
>Group includes meekest man alive, unable or unwilling to do something without heavy prompting.
>>
>>54560498
>if you ever are forced to roll for stats and didn't immediately quit the game.

Go play WoW, not D&D
>>
>>54560552
Go find a new group on roll20?
>>
>>54560371
That's my berserker fix and my player enjoys it http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1qjwqpGx
>>
File: v.png (129KB, 555x405px) Image search: [Google]
v.png
129KB, 555x405px
Rate my party /5eg/

>Introverted cleric of a god of death who is intolerant of other beliefs. She's mostly quiet but judges harshly
>Old druid who may be senile. Obsesses over veganism and judges and pressures his party all the time
>A cocky asshole dwarf warlock who sold his soul into eternal damnation but also has cool powers in exchange. He's the group leader and a conman.
>A half orc fighter who everyone thinks is retarded but is actually the one with the most common sense. Kleptomaniac due to growing up in a big city as an urchin.

I hope the druid dies soon.
>>
>>54560569
Some of my best games have been gimp PCs, think that statement was intended for the standard /tg/ audience.
>>
>>54559995
I'd say that the classes in 4th are actually more differentiated than 5th. Specifically those within martial and spellcasters. Yes the decide between a 4th ed martial and caster was less, a fighter and barbarian still amount to I attack and maybe use this rider. Sometimes to the exclusion of anything else.

But this is a 5th ed thread so whateves
>>
>>54560552
first session is always awkward with people settling into the group dynamic. Give it another game or two before you cut and run.
>>
What are some fun things I can do with mushroom zombies in a medieval fantasy setting? My party has recently came across a town infested with the lot of it and want some fun ideas.
>>
>>54560495
I mean, the issue with warlocks wouldn't be so much the AMOUNT of spells they get, but that their spells are supposed to be gravy on the potatoes along with their ability to do consistent damage. Unless all the encounters are happening within less than 5 minutes of each other, they could turn out too consistently good. Other casters have other roles to fill than spamming damage spells, but the warlock has nothing to lose. Even less so if they are Fiend warlocks, which gives them access to things like Fireball and Scorching Ray.
>>
>>54560664
hallucinogenic spores.
>>
>>54560639
>vegan druid

Veganism may be the least druidic form of eating. Druids fucking love nature and love food chains, he is an omnivore and should eat meat like crazy. When did druids turn from feral forces of nature into god damned new age hippies?
>>
>>54560664
The mushrooms are growing around peasant's nervous systems and forcing them out into the wilds/other towns to spread
>>
>>54560649
>I'd say that the classes in 4th are actually more differentiated than 5th. Specifically those within martial and spellcasters.
Are you retarded? Almost all of the martials' abilities were just reskins of the same fucking things. The flavor differences between martial classes were bigger than the fucking mechanical ones
>>
>>54560587
But they're my friends or something.
My biggest worry with D20 is simply my own lack of experience. I don't want to weigh others down until I'm more proficient.

>>54560656
That's fair I suppose, I'll remain optimistic.

>>54560639
Love the Dorf and Figther.
>>
>>54560686
Because people think that druids aren't allowed to hurt nature in any way even though that would be harmful to an environment
>>
>>54560688
>Are you retarded? Almost all of the martials' abilities were just reskins of the same fucking things.
you know, as opposed to 5e's basic attack fighter, basic attack barbarian, basic attack rogue, basic attack monk...
>>
>First level campaign, someone gets attacked by a spider in first combat session.
>"Does 16 hit your ac?"
>"Yeah."
>"Ok, that'll be... 5 damage from the bite. Make a con saving throw."
>Fails his constitution saving throw
>"All right, that's going to be 13 poison damage too."
>Player proceeds to take a deep breath and throw his dice on the floor, rip a pencil out of someone's hand and mark the damage.
>No shouting or argument. He just did that outburst then played like normal.

What would you do in this situation?
>>
>>54560717
Ok yeah, you're confirmed autistic retard
>>
>>54560722
shit on the DM? first combat session shouldn't be dropping that kind of damage on anyone. That's TPK territory.
>>
>>54560724
oh, i'm terribly sorry, let me correct myself:
Fighter: Basic attack + some damage/status
Barbarian: Basic attack + some damage
Rogue: Basic attack + some damage
Monk: Basic attack + some status

Sorry, for being too broad last time.
>>
>>54558948
>>54558999
>>54558970

It must be so brave being (((Progressive)))
>>
>>54560593
So at 4th level you have 2d12 extra damage per long rest, assuming you don't rest up in town every other day. Assuming 2 encounters per day, that's 6.6 damage on one attack per encounter, at the cost of short rest healing. Not something I'd consider better than resistance to all damage, fairly consistent advantage to all your melee party members, or higher maneuverability. I know totem warrior is really good but I don't know any other path well enough to compare.

>>54560676
At-will matters less when all short and long rest powers are usable twice as frequently. Which is the intention, I thought people didn't like the fact that Warlock was the champion of casters with the memes about them not even being full casters and stuff.
>>
>>54560746
You've already shown you can't read, why are you even still trying?
>>
>>54560746
lol for real guy have you not read any of the subclass rules yet? They're all roughly the same.... til level 3. Then that is pure lies.
>>
>>54560762
Obviously it's because of my autism.
>>
>>54560695
Ha, I feel you on the experience front, but that's why people mark their games as 'welcomes new players' or outright go 'HEY NEWFAGS'. Check out the forums too for people looking for new people, and jump on those Lost Mines games since they're made for newcomers. That meek dude is probably staying quiet because of lack of experience.
>>
>>54560741
I was DMing, and it was a high damage roll. I wasn't going to let anything get out of hand. They were very well prepared, the spider just rolled really well on damage.

Trust me, there was no TPK going to happen. The spiders had 12 HP each and didn't do much damage unless you fail the saving throw.

Do you think his response was reasonable?
>>
>>54560779
Uh, 18 damage can totally kill someone so yeah? Pretty reasonable.
>>
>>54560779
>Trust me, there was no TPK going to happen.
>single enemy deals 18 damage in a single attack to a level 1 character
You ask us to trust you but have only shown so far that you're a shitty DM
>>
>>54560779
my wizard just died
great session guys
>>
>>54558948

Based Poland.
>>
>>54560779
So I'm going to assume +2 AB with 1d6 prc damage from bite, then a DC 11 con save or take 2d8 poison damage. The thing is, this is level 1. It doesn't matter if they have a 70% chance to miss and then a 70% chance to only do part of the damage, if that does happen a character can easily die. You don't want that to happen, so you generally take it a bit easy and have the possibility of instant death, or at least unconsciousness, but have it even slimmer than the generous estimates I've made here.
>>
>>54560833
My [anything] just died
The only two ways you could survive that are if you were playing a Dwarf (for poison resistance) and still had at least 12 hp, or if you played a variant Human Barbarian with 20 Constitution and the Tough feat...
>>
>>54560722
Continue with encounter and pretend nothing happened. Maybe make break after encounter and talk with the player. If i was player, maybe try to comfort him or something. But really, it sounds like he need some time alone to me.

We all cherish our characters and if something happens to them, it hurts. But it should cease in time.
>>
>>54560801
>>54560810
>>54560833
For fuck's sake, it might not have been exactly 18 damage. Christ. He wasn't dead nor was he going to die. Tops it would have been just over half his health.

Looking at his character sheet I can see how much he lost, it was about 4 damage on the bite and 6 from the poison which barely brought him below half of his max, being 18. Three players had cure wounds and potions on hand. The encounter was about to end.
>>
>>54560892
doesn't any barbarian with a positive con mod survive, albeit unconscious?
>>
>>54560775
True enough, I'll have another peek later on.
Thanks for the encouragement.
>>
>>54560906
>it was about 4 damage on the bite and 6 from the poison which barely brought him below half of his max
Then why the fuck were you lying? Are you trying to give us more reasons to think you're a shit DM?
>>
>>54560892
>>54560915
half orcs also get that thing
>>
>>54560933
>lying
I just gave estimates. I was trying to imply a reasonable amount of damage without getting up and looking at his character sheet.
>>
>>54560943
>estimates
>over double

>trying to imply a reasonable amount of damage
>gave a completely unreasonable amount of damage

Yeah you're shit
>>
>>54560915
Yeah, I guess I was talking about going unconscious

>>54560940
Damn, forgot about that. Looks like there are three ways to not get instantly downed by 18 damage at level 1.
>>
>>54560958
You're right. I'm clearly a shit dm because I gave a bad estimate on a message board about Taiwanese cartoons. I suppose I could have thought more about it but the numbers weren't the focus of my post. The post was about the player's meltdown, not the minute details of the amount of damage he took. I didn't use exact quotes, I didn't use exact numbers, so I certainly deserve to be crucified despite having been a dm for multiple rpgs over 6 years.

You're right, I should just give up.
>>
>>54560833
You might have a point if they had actually died.
>>
>>54561011
You asked if it was reasonable. It's pretty reasonable when your DM tries to kill your fresh char.

>>54561027
The point is that the original damage numbers are unreasonable if regular hits can instant kill 90% of characters.
>>
>>54561011
The point is that you're clearly misrepresenting what happened because you have beef with that player and you want us to coddle you and make you feel better about whatever bullshit you're thinking about saying to them. We're not your safe space, so why don't you fuck off and grow up?
>>
>>54560678
I like this idea a lot, I'll come up with some decent hallucinations for them to work through. I was also thinking of them as land mines. So the whole party could start tripping.

>>54560687
I had this in mind, the swamps next to the town are where they came from. A more hostile version of them that affects humans was released by a cult so I'm trying to plan around that.
>>
Just want to get some clarification on this.The "killed outright" part of a half orc's resistance ability isn't just massive damage double HP attacks, it applies to disintegrates and anything that kills at 0 HP?

Last session our half orc paladin got hit by a disintegration ray from a Beholder zombie and would have gone to 0 but used that feature to stay up. I honestly don't think that's how it's supposed to work but didn't say anything because without the paladin that fight would most likely have been TPK. He was using his Protection fighting style to mitigate damage from the beholder's minions while simultaneously outdamaging everyone with his smites.
>>
>>54561080
also whatever carrion's been chewing on mushroom zombies will also be trippan the balls. Spores all up in your water sources, in the food. Everything's potentially contaminated.
>>
>>54561047
I think that throwing shit at a table during a fucking game is unreasonable in pretty much any situation. Also I'm not sure how many times I have to mention that nobody was going to die.

The PCs killed 3 spiders, all of them passing their saving throws and taking maximum 4 damage on an attack. Then one player gets bit by the last spider, taking his first damage of the combat and loses a little over half his health. From a spider that was nearly dead. If you want the absolute specifics I'll get out my notebook and their character sheets and read out how much damage was taken each round.

>>54561054
That's a lot of assuming. That player was one of my close friends. I have nothing against him. I just threw out numbers that I thought would be reasonable enough because I didn't want to go check my shit, I didn't think it was necessary.
>>
>>54561011
This actually sounds like a buttmad reddit post lmao
>>
>>54561096
"When you are reduced to 0 hit points but NOT killed outright..."
This trait does not trigger against anything that kills you outright, including disintegrate.
>>
File: 1498096640886.jpg (953KB, 3135x3627px) Image search: [Google]
1498096640886.jpg
953KB, 3135x3627px
Quick question /5eg/ if I'm a Battle Master without the Two Weapon fighter feature and I use my extra attack granted to me at level 5 to attack with the two weapons in my hand do I still get to add my ability modifier to my second strike?
>>
>>54558084

>bespoke monsters

Like a fancy cloaker?
>>
>>54561011
Taking the new numbers into account, 10 damage is enough to bring a lot of characters to 0, my most recent character has 7, but without too many of these guys and it being high rolls, it seems quite reasonable.

I would ignore his reaction and continue the game. If it happens again, consult him outside of the game in an environment without pressure or other people.

On another not don't get defensive and make excuses like having gmed a lot of games.
>>
>>54561124
>>54561096
That's my interpretation as well, still sucks to get disintegrated.
>>
>>54560770
Not the same guy, but reducing 4th ed powers to "attack+rider effect" can also be done for 5th ed classes and pretty much for any system based on hp. The only real differentiated effects are:
Damage/move/action
Damage/move/Action prevention
Damage/move/Action increase

To say only 4th suffers from that paradigm is IMHO incorrect.
>>
>>54561105
>Also I'm not sure how many times I have to mention that nobody was going to die
You can say that but your original post suggests otherwise, which is what the reactions are to.

>I think that throwing shit at a table during a fucking game is unreasonable in pretty much any situation.
Throwing my own shit in a way that nothing else is damaged is as reasonable as my dm trying to murder me. 10 damage is still quite a bit, especially since the characters won't have the tools to deal with shit at level 1.
>>
>>54561124

Alright, follow up, why is disintegration ray so ridiculous? On a passed save you're still most likely dead.
>>
>>54561177
Because of tradition, really. Beholders are FUCKING SCARY.
>>
>>54561156
At this point you're just abstracting everything into Chapter 9 of the PHB. Every character can do "damage/move/action" because those are the fundamental choices given in the system...
Do you have a real argument or are you 4rries going to keep shitting up this thread?
>>
>>54561152
You're right, I just didn't expect to get crucified because I didn't consider the numbers. I guess the post could have merely been "Is it ever appropriate to have a meltdown like this at a game?" I decided to storytell which completely fucked me because I didn't spend too much time on the numbers.

Also, I let the players start with a bit of extra HP so the encounters could be a little interesting at lower levels. Nothing outside of the range of reality. The lowest health anyone had in the game was a wizard with 14, the highest being a fighter with 18.
>>
>>54561177
Because everything else can be fixed by a single Bard or Cleric. Besides, you shouldn't be fighting anything that could possibly use Disintegrate if you would die even on a passed save. That's just asking to make a new character
>>
>>54561170
>Throwing my own shit in a way that nothing else is damaged is as reasonable as my dm trying to murder me.

Opinion discarded, autist detected.
>>
>>54561213
Why are you even starting at level 1 if you're just going to buff their survivability? You know most people start at level 2 or 3 after their first game, right?
>>
File: tumblr_osrtou1aIx1qiahdeo1_1280.png (620KB, 1280x581px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_osrtou1aIx1qiahdeo1_1280.png
620KB, 1280x581px
>>54561177
It's something to make the DM and Players sweat when it comes into play. Use it to remind your players that they are not infallible or immortal.
>>
>>54561170
>justifies throwing a fit at a table with other adults

W e w
>>
>>54561142
yes.
>>
>>54561256
He threw his own shit to the ground. That's it, and then continued to play normally.
At least that's what we've been lead to believe.
Doesn't really seem like he 'threw a fit'.
>>
>>54561193
I'll make easier for you, as the thread seems to be moving to quick for you. Action similarity is not a problem inherent only to 4th. Given that, I believe 4th has beter balance than 5th.
>>
>>54561246
Yeah, I've actually only started games at level 1 a few times and the combat was quite boring. But these players were brand new and had trouble making new characters at level 1. It seemed like making things more complicated right off the bat would make things much more difficult. I'm going to be leveling them up once per session until they're level 4.
>>
>>54561274
>Action similarity is not a problem inherent only to 4th.
We weren't talking about action similarity, we were talking about how all the "unique" powers that 4e martials had were just reskins of the same mechanic. But since you've been making it abundantly clear that you can't fucking read, it doesn't surprise me that you can't understand something this simple.

>4th has beter balance than 5th
kek
>>
>>54561247
>Pic
I wish he stayed fucking dead.

Tired of Gloomy McBrooderson being the main character alongside his waifu Awkward McFuckup.
>>
>>54561271
That's glaringly autistic. That's something that a child would do when they land on their dad's hotel in monopoly. Acting like that above age 14 is questionable, acting like that in your twenties is really troubling.
>>
>>54561294
>>4th has beter balance than 5th
>kek
prove him wrong.
>>
>>54561307
If it's a consistent behavior, I agree.
If it's a single one off, it's not a big deal.
It should be treated as a one off until otherwise shown.
>>
>>54561327
>prove him wrong
No, this is a 5e thread. If you have such a boner for 4e then fuck off to /4eg/ if there even is one
>>
>>54561170
>dm trying to murder me
Anon, normally i wouldn't dwell on the difference, but the DM threatened _character_, not you. I am calling you out on it, because you are using it as argument, which is -in my opinion- fallacious.
>>
>>54561350
The DM trying to murder *me* and not my character justifies significantly more action than stamping my foot and pouting.
>>
>>54561328
Doing it even once is a red flag on its own

>>54561350
Basically this
>>
>>54561342
I actually really like 5e, but I don't pretend that 5e is more balanced than 4e. Saying 5e is more balanced than 4e, is like saying 3.5 is more balanced than 5e.
>>
>>54561265
Gotcha thanks.

>>54561302
I would not have minded one of them dying at some point. To this day it's weird that not one of them have died with the fading resurrection rule.

I use the rule in my game and we have lost 2 people already.
>>
>>54561363
>DM leaps onto the table and tries to cleave you through with an axe
>"It's just part of the game bro why are you getting so defensive" as you put the barbarian between the two of you
>>
>>54561363
Making a scene in any way because the big bad DM decided to hurt your imaginary elf is pretty autistic.
>>
>>54561377
That's probably the stupidest thing I've read on this website in the last 3 hours
>>
>>54561327
I've put argument into the simplest terms I care to, and he still misses the point. The lad is slow or a troll. Like I said in my first post, it's a 5th ed thread so whateves.
>>
>>54561247
>>54561302
>>54561398

what am I supposed to be seeing here?
>>
>>54561415
You've put a completely different argument into meaninglessly simple terms. You don't even know what you're trying to argue and then you try to act superior? Typical 4rries
>>
>>54561406
care to actually rebut the statement? maybe with some examples? 4e IS more balanced than 5e, it may not be as fun, or creative, or diverse than 5e, but it is more balanced.
>>
>>54560906
>18 max HP
>At level 1

Okay, so a hill dwarf barbarian with 16 starting con would reach 16...
A variant human barbarian with tough would reach 17.
How the fuck did they get to 18?
Are you doing that rolling for stats meme?
>>
>>54561421
It's from a popular role-playing group named Critical Role, it's a bunch of voice actors who play D&D online.

In that picture, one of them, the parties Rogue/Paladin was disintegrated and then the DM targeted the Cleric.
>>
I'm getting ready to run my first full campaign as a DM; I've run oneshots before, but never entire campagins, so I have some experience with improvising and roleplaying. I recently read a "that GM" thread though and now I'm terrified. How can I run a campaign with a specific adventure in mind without the pitfalls of railroading? Isn't this in essence railroading?
>>
>>54561398
It's because it's a show, and killing off the characters of a show like that will lose them subscribers and viewers. That's the problem a lot of people have with the show, is that it's pretty clearly scripted a lot of the time.
>>
>>54561480
>it's pretty clearly scripted a lot of the time
Ding ding ding! This is the easiest way to out yourself as someone who has never watched Critical Role
>>
>>54561460 see >>54561213
>>
>>54561451
This tbqh. But I'd say 4th is also more cinematic, due in large part to the at-will, encounter, daily power structure. Also, fun is subjective.
>>
>>54561479
Quantum ogres and enough prepwork to make you want to kill yourself by the third session.
>>
>>54561451
Get back to your little hole now
>>54446354
>>54446354
>>54446354
>>
>>54561511
Well, okay.
That's pretty reasonable, I guess, if you're going for a 1 through to higher level campaign.
>>
>>54561527
that's not a rebuttal.
>>
>>54561548
Why are you still here?
>>
I'm thinking of making a Thief rogue once I swap with my co-DM and join our adventuring party. Are there any ways to play a Burglar/professional thief rogue and still contribute as much to the team as a murder hobo Assassin can?
>>
>>54561554
I'm waiting to go to dinner, how about you?
>>
>>54561570
Reading about the new Overwatch patch, actually
>>
>>54561569

Assassin is pretty shit and thief isn't so you'll pretty much automatically be contributing more just for picking a decent archetype
>>
>>54561377
>>54561406
I really hate how balanced 5e is sometimes. You can see where they've just trimmed all the fluffy features off of everything in order to lay it out squarely in balancable portions.

I'm glad for instance thieves got UMD but bards just straight up got spells instead because UMD as a skill was too item heavy to make up for older bards' shit spellcasting. 5eSorcerers are fucked but nobody cares cause fuck sorcerers.
>>
>>54561451
Far from balanced, a lot of people might not remember but I do. Half the Warlocks Pacts were useless, Monks were still shit, ANYTHING with the Shadow Power source was generally worse then useless and the monster manual was so fucked they had to completely redo the stats.

4e wasn't balanced, it just had enough forced options for everything that eventually you could play a Fighter who was powerful, heavens forbid you chose on of the wrong options though.

>>54561569
Thief's are fun. Just remember that you can interact with objects as a bonus action, so anything you can do with the environment is fair game.
>>
>>54561670
Sorcerers are so much better if you just give them the spell points variant in the DMG. In my games, I do that but also combine spell points and Sorcery Points into one resource, so sorcs can do fewer spells with a shit ton of metamagic or vice versa. It's a lot more fun than how it is in the book
>>
>>54561509
>someone who has never watched Critical Role
not him but thats a good thing
>>
>>54561720
whatever defined sorcs in previous editions was just divvy'd up to EVERY spellcasting class though. Sorcs need some serious revamping from RAW but they aren't a lot of work no matter what you do with it.
>>
>>54561670
>5eSorcerers are fucked but nobody cares cause fuck sorcerers.

FUCK YOU
>>
>>54561730
Nah, it's a good show if you skip everything that comes out of Marisha's mouth. Sam, Travis, Ashley, and to a lesser extent Laura and Taliesin are great roleplayers and Matt is an amazing GM.
>>
>>54559259
>level by milestones
Literally the gayest shit I've ever heard of. Use the XP system in the game, leveling at some arbitrary time the DM decides is probably why half your campaigns never make it past level 7.
>>
>>54561754
People drool over Matt Mercer's DMing style but honestly anyone who is decently well-read can pull off those descriptions. I know I certainly do on a weekly basis, as does one of my GM friends. Yeah, 90% of people are shit at GMing, but that doesn't mean this dumb-ass is a gifted savant. His gunslinger homebrew is atrocious, leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story, it is just terrible mechanics-wise. This show is basically the roosterteeth "listen to grown men chuckling autistically into 5000 dollar microphones with a bunch of retards shouting over each other as the hysterical assperger laughter reaches its crescendo" experience. Why the fuck would you want to watch these people play their shitty boring campaign when you could go out and do it yourself? Is it the tits on the girls? None of them are very hot and honestly they are all terrible actresses, every time I hear their voices I want to kill myself. I cannot even describe how much I hate this shit. Here's the thing: I've seen a few comedy shows of people playing D&D. It was hilarious. Critical Role is just fucking stupid, partly because they are trying to actually play and they make a huge deal out of their stupid fucking campaign. But, the problem with these comedy shows was that people started expecting that out of their normal games. They expected RPGs to be funny. Not just naturally humorous, they want to rape the campaign for any potential it has. And these chucklefucks have read a load of "D&D stories" on imgur and reddit so they think that's how it is. So we have these fuckers derailing our campaigns every time we let a new person in. Now, this can't entirely be blamed on Critical Role, but it sure did its part to exacerbate the problem.
>>
>>54561772
>guns do not belong in D&D end of story
Entire post disregarded
>>
>>54561788

>not recognizing the pasta

wew lad
>>
>>54559259
Friendly reminder that Milestone XP is the best choice. Combines the anti-murder hobo of milestone with the feeling or non-arbitrary progression that XP gives.
>>
>>54561794
I haven't seen this version before, I know of like 3 others though
>>
>>54561798
Out of curiosity how long does it usually take to level with milestones?
>>
>>54561142
Yes
>>
>>54561745
I also allow my Sorcerers to prepare their metamagic options like Wizards prepare their spells, and I added a few new metamagic options based on the UA Loremaster Wizard. There's so much more versatility now without drastically increasing the power level, and it's been a lot of fun
>>
>>54561703
Underrated post
>>
>>54561818
Completely arbitrary and up to the DM's whims, which means you have no idea idea when you're going to level up.

Personally I give XP, but not for killing monsters. For instance if they were attacking an inn full of bandits, I'd give XP for all the bandits no matter how they solved it. Say they talked them all into leaving I'd give the XP for all the bandits after they completed the "quest" so to speak.

Basically think of players getting XP from solving problems rather then from killing enemies. Also important plot points will give XP equal to how I much I want.
>>
Is there a way to do offensive mage hands without it being broken? Like if I make it take a spell slot to be able to attack would it be broken? I was thinking of making it so since it would be thematically appropriate, since it is the one spell the PC had mastered over thirty years of being a warlock, for a player, but, don't want to make it broken.
>>
>>54562006
give them spiritual weapon and refluff
>>
>>54562006
>30 years of being a Warlock
If he's level 1 then tell him to fuck off.

Honestly I'd just refluff Eldrtich Blast as being an attack from a Mage Hand.
>>
>>54562006
I'd just take the path of least resistance and add bigby's hand to his spell list if he's high enough level and you think he's earned it. As a warlock it's not like he'd ever do anything more impressive with a cantrip than eldritch blast anyway
>>
>>54561460
Why is rolling for stats a meme and why is it bad?
>>
>>54562006
Bigby's Hand
>>
>>54561460
>>54562088
honestly nobody ever said they were level 1, just their first combat session, plus temporary HP is a thing so no sense trying to fit stats to the scenario.

Statting me however is classic meme which is good.
>>
New thread

>>54562170
>>54562170
>>54562170
>>54562170
>>54562170
>>
>>54562088
4d6 drop one ie the standard method of rolling gives much higher average stats on average than the array/point buy suggestions in the PHB, so it somewhat throws off any real dilemma between feats and asi's. I don't really consider this a huge problem, but I'm guessing some do. In general it's also just trading a better shot at high stats for the risk of a character that's fucked out the gate which I'm not a fan of. The system just wasn't really built with it in mind though, and having generally higher stats kind of warps people's perspective on a few things (rogue/barbarian, builds with a shit ton of feats, etc)
It's really annoying when people complain about feats being OP when they only work because some character rolled two 16's and a 17 at creation, but otherwise I don't really give a shit what other people do in their games
>>
>>54562124
Read the original post
>First level campaign
>>
>>54562088

The more modern versions of the game have math designed to work around a narrow range of values and numbers that are too far outside that can get weird, especially if one play has exceptionally high numbers and another player has exceptionally low numbers.

A lot of GMs have "guidelines" of sorts for what numbers they consider too high or too low to be played and have those re-rolled, but this can get into interpersonal weirdness so it's generally a lot easier to just jump to point-buy or premade matrixes so that there's no doubt of everyone having the expected math.
>>
>>54561798
The best reason is to not do XP math
>>
>>54561807
It's pretty much guaranteed to be pasta when the reply is that long.

Also, anyone who says that Laura isn't a patrician-tier waifu is lying through their teeth.
>>
>>54562036
>Honestly I'd just refluff Eldrtich Blast as being an attack from a Mage Hand.
This, Eldritch blast is now Eldritch Punch. The end.
>>
I see Tempest and War Clerics gain proficiencies in heavy armor and martial weapons, but are they decent contenders in melee combat or do they still rely mostly on spells?

If I run a Tempest/War Cleric am I better suited with a wep and shield, or a two hander?
>>
File: DarkFeels.jpg (255KB, 1280x1122px) Image search: [Google]
DarkFeels.jpg
255KB, 1280x1122px
Have you ever been surprisingly upset when your character died? My level 21 fighter died today and it hit me in the feels.
>>
>>54565140
nope, i welcome the opportunity the play one of the other thousand characters I want to play. I think my DM loves me because I'm the only one he knows he can kill who won't throw an utter bitchfest about it.
>>
>>54565140
>level 21
?
>>
>>54561703
>Monks were still shit
Opinion discarded.

4E still had things that worked better than other things, but the range between them was small. I can't speak for any of the purely essentials content though.
>monster manual was so fucked they had to completely redo the stats.
The changes between MM1 and MM3 are surprisingly few. And aside from the change to solo-hp, minor as well. Far from it not working, it was changed to make monsters more fun and exciting.
>>
>>54565460
>The changes between MM1 and MM3 are surprisingly few
LEL
>>
>>54562729
American education, everyone.
>>
>>54559890
Why the need to nerf monk damage at low levels?
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.