[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 104

File: ccg primer v3.png (2MB, 1400x1660px) Image search: [Google]
ccg primer v3.png
2MB, 1400x1660px
Keyword Shuffle Edition! (Create a new keyword, then try to use a custom keyword another anon created to make interesting cards.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>54470968
>>
File: Essence Collector.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Essence Collector.png
243KB, 375x523px
Awaiting the first submission besides my own.
>>
File: CW20 Isolated Imprisonment.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CW20 Isolated Imprisonment.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>54509195
Threads have been extra slow again lately. Still a fan of remembrance, by the way.
>>
File: Shackles of Ire.png (180KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shackles of Ire.png
180KB, 375x523px
>>54510881
Yeah they have. It's kind of rough. I've never been able to adjust to them being so slow since I'm spoiled from when we went through 2-3 threads a day sometimes. And thanks. How's prepping for the impending school year going? Sounds as if free time is at a premium. Teachers in the US have it rough, assuming that's where you are.
>card
I like it because you can use it on an opponent's creature and not worry about it hurting you, but it also becomes a really good blocker, so it can bite you in the ass. You can also use it on your own stuff for some serious unkillable wall action. I'm torn as to whether it's too expensive or not. Most other examples of this are 2C, but of course this one has an upside. Maybe... Flash? I don't often suggest it but the dual color in the casting cost feels terribly restricting even if you can reuse it. I dunno, maybe it's okay.

Also, given the spirit of the thread, here's a spin on your card using the base mechanic.
>>
File: Strip to Bone.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Strip to Bone.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54511510
I don't know if a Wild Guess with a slightly harder to fulfill discard clause can be easier to cast AND give you an additional benefit. It's not the biggest deal, and it's a flavorful card, but it'd need to be playtested, I think. It really depends if the set it's in has a lot of weak creatures or not.
>>
File: Izzetman.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Izzetman.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
How do I Imprint? Or is it a keyword I shouldn't even bother with?
>>
File: Battleborn Brawler.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Battleborn Brawler.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54511614
Technically what you have works, though it needs to be worded as a replacement effect with "if". Also you don't really need to use Imprint. The activated ability isn't blue, so it shouldn't be hybrid costed. It'd never be printed at uncommon, and would likely be a Legend. The idea behind it is very good though, and a very flavorful port of Megaman into MtG, which I'll admit isn't my thing but it's interesting at least.
>>
>>54511582
They already printed Tormenting Voice, so I don't think the easier mana cost is a sticking point. Not being able to pitch excess lands is also a considerable draw back.
>>
>>54511632
>an offensive card using Remembrance
Thanks anon, I'm glad you made this. It's a really excellent common. I'll admit I haven't made more than one card that can be used offensively with Remembrance but I'm not using it in a set so I'm not working with it constantly.

I don't really want to make another card till I see another keyword/mechanic to work with, but if the thread peters out again I'll toss something up.
>>
File: ROBOMIESTERS.png (3MB, 1125x1569px) Image search: [Google]
ROBOMIESTERS.png
3MB, 1125x1569px
>>54511650
Yeah. I just wanted to post the old card while i install the new card editor. I do remember that I needed to change the mana cost for the activation cost now. Have the rest of my stupid attempts at my ravnica/megaman cards. Hybrid mana activation costs and under costed casting costs abound.
>>
File: Apprentice Explorer.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Apprentice Explorer.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
I just don't like the Aftermatch cards I guess.
>>
File: Magical Exemplar.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Exemplar.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54511769
I do also realize they they are all uncommons. That was unintentional.
>>
File: Terraforming.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Terraforming.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
File: download.jpg (290KB, 1488x1039px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
290KB, 1488x1039px
Just kind of spitballing how exactly to do this. I like the idea of having equipment subtype defined by using colored mana to do something in setting but I'm not sure which of these designs is more interesting. I like the 3 cost one because it's simpler but the flavor is a little off as the colored mana is what "powers" it. But the 2 drop feels a lot less elegant.
>>
>>54511632
This is clever. Bonus point.
>>
File: Ætherwright.png (278KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherwright.png
278KB, 375x523px
>>54511698
Ah, I haven't drafted in a bit so I'm not 100% up on Amonkhet cards. Point taken. I suppose in that case it's probably alright.

I realized the Equipment token mechanic was something I could make a card with for the thread theme, so here we go.

>>54511769
I'll look at these more in-depth in a moment.

>>54511789
"Draw a card and reveal it" is patched wording for an old mechanic. I didn't see any recent versions in my quick check, so I'd avoid using it. I'd do the Coiling Oracle thing instead, keeping noncreature nonland and pitching the rest. Ritualism seems fine. I'll see what I can do with it in a bit.

>>54511811
I wouldn't put a hexproof anthem at common like this myself.

>>54511944
Again, I'd do the Coiling Oracle thing here, but it's a bit less necessary since it basically works like Miracle.

>>54511946
I think the first one is more viable because having Equip costs tied to a single color sort of defeats the purpose of them being colorless, whereas the first one just rewards you and that feels more playable overall.
>>
>>54512066
I guess I should have explained the flavor. The idea is that the "guns", effectively wands, in the setting are used as a way to channel and weaponize mana. I like the idea of equipment that gets better if you use colored mana in some way with it to portray that, and it's kind of a thing equipment hasn't really done. The idea is that you get the most basic reward of equipment (the pump) on the 3 drop just by playing it, but if you pay the W you get the colored ability on equip. The other one is longer and less elegant (also a little less interesting conceptually, but that's not entirely important) but more correctly hits the flavor by giving a bonus effect when "charged" with the correct mana.

Since this'd probably be a small cycle, maybe even just these, I kind of also like the idea of the rootwalla/shade/firebeathing/etc. effect somehow being tied to it instead of pump + keyword.
>>
File: Dreamsealer.png (225KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamsealer.png
225KB, 375x523px
>>54511769
Okay, here we go.

>Borosman
Pretty straightforward. Seems fine.
>Dimirman
Ninjutsu in Dimir? That's odd. Though I guess Cipher is kinda garbage and Transmute doesn't do much for your theme. Card seems okay though, aside from the hybrid cost on the ability.
>Golgariman
Dredge is so hard to build around, though I guess Scavenge is kinda crappy for not!Megaman to get. Still, it'd work, since he'd have the ability in the yard if I'm not mistaken.
>Gruulman
Another one that loses a bit when interacting with Izzetman. Still, repeatable fight is very strong, and I'd upcost it a bit on this maybe.
>Orzhovman
Kinda bland, but it works, except that hybrid cost again. Though you did mention it, to your credit. You probably should have fixed them before you posted though.
>Selesnyaman
Hard to judge. I feel like there should be anotehr caveat to the copy ability. Also it's not really GW since GW copies tokens, not base creatures.
>Simicman
Okay on its own, but bad with Izzetman.
>Azoriousman
Meh. Not very good sorry to say. Gaining flying is pretty boss at least.
>Rakdosman
Again, should probably be flashier. Maybe give it the Sengir Vampire ability?

>>54512136
Oh I know what a Caster is; I've watched Outlaw Star. I'm just trying to advise against tying Equip costs to monocolor because it limits the card a lot, and kinda sucks in a draft environment. Have you considered the instant-Equip colored cost Equipment cards from the original Mirrodin yet as a potential reward system for spending colored mana? That might be a good place to draw some inspiration from as well.

Have a Ritualism card, in keeping with the theme.
>>
File: Blackfire Runner.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Blackfire Runner.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>54511237
>How's prepping for the impending school year going? Sounds as if free time is at a premium.
It's keeping me busy, definitely. That and life. I have total creative control over designing my curriculum, which is awesome but also a lot of work and responsibility and whatnot.
>Teachers in the US have it rough, assuming that's where you are.
Yeah, I am. Indiana, specifically.
>Shackles of Ire
The red ability just seems like a roundabout way to tap the enchanted creature. But tapping the creature is useful, and the way you're using the red ability to do so is pretty clever. I like it.
>>54511510
Cute, but maybe too cute. The creature discard then draw is flavorful enough, I feel.
>>54511632
I like it.
>>54512066
I think it's fine. I'm honestly not sure.
>>54512249
Solid, but a bit much for an NWO common. Uncommon, more likely.

Card for the thread theme
>>
File: Treading the Ink Fantastic.png (254KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Treading the Ink Fantastic.png
254KB, 375x523px
>>
File: download (1).jpg (415KB, 2232x1039px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
415KB, 2232x1039px
Another way to do the flavor
>>54512249
Yes it's almost exactly the same idea as outlaw star. Also I feel the design on the right is really fine-- you get the pump just automatically, and youget the color specific ability for paying the colored mana. It feels correct to me. It's kinda like creatures who have an off color activation in a sense. You still get the p/t boost, but you get an extra benefit if you're in that color. Not sold on any particular way yet, just explaining the logic.
>>
File: Tome of Aspirations.png (273KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tome of Aspirations.png
273KB, 375x523px
>>54512374
>That and life
I recalled you stating you were having some issues IRL. I didn't want to pry though so I didn't ask. Hope things shape up.
>Shackles
Yeah, I hoped it'd be at least a little cute.
>AEtherwright
Yeah if it only copied Equipment it'd be easier to balance, but I didn't want to design a card like that.
>Dreamsealer
That's fair. Dampen Thought is an uncommon anyway.
>Runner
More offensive uses of Remembrance. Love it. You might be able to make it RR though, honestly. It doesn't have trample, and is only 1 more power than Spark Elemental. Also, Lightning Elemental costs 3R, which is pretty close resource demand-wise to 1RR. Could potentially look at Menace for it too.

>>54512440
I am so bad at judging Storm cards, I'm sorry. I do have to say though that I feel like a Storm card that can copy things is dying to be broken in half.

>>54512443
These might also work better, but I do still suggest you check those Mirrodin cards I mentioned.

Reckon I'll do an Equipment that requires colored mana though to get a "bonus" to keep with the theme some more.
>>
>>54512602
This feels like it has abilities thrown on for value. I'd find some way to consolidate the middle two, so it looks like it only has 3 rather than 4 abilities.
>>
>>54512374
This is fucking spicy as hell. Get me milk.
>>
File: Champion of Nylea.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Champion of Nylea.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54512648
Agree with this, but an interesting angle wouls be to pay U to do something like, say, gain flying until end of turn on etb, plus the curiosity ability while equipped. The idea of paying a color for an immediate temporary effect that has synergy with the equipped ability is an interesting design space, kinda split card ish Not sure how many of those there are that exist though with that overlap.
>>
>>54512374
I don't think remembrance needs to say "other creature". You can only activate it from a graveyard, where it's a "creature card", not a "creature".
>>
File: Tome of Aspirations.png (275KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tome of Aspirations.png
275KB, 375x523px
>>54512648
>>54512692
Not a bad idea. I'll admit the Prowess was just kinda tossed on there because it's not on an Equipment yet I don't think. The flying idea is a good one too. Could also make it care about the color of mana spent to pay the Equip cost; thoughts?

>>54512689
Uh... doesn't Tribute need something else there? There's no reason for them not to Tribute it because making it not come back with Undying isn't really much benefit to them.
>>
>>54512699
It doesn't say "other creature"; it's "other abilities" because you don't want to give it Remembrance.
>>
File: Erina Principle of Being.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Erina Principle of Being.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
Maro would probably get pissed, but fuck it.

>>54512066
>"Draw a card and reveal it" is patched wording for an old mechanic. I didn't see any recent versions in my quick check, so I'd avoid using it. I'd do the Coiling Oracle thing instead, keeping noncreature nonland and pitching the rest.
Well, I've always prefered the "draw and reveal" because it interacts with cards that check draws for effectslike Niv-Mizzet and stuff like that, but I do agree that it is quite an old way to wording it.

>I wouldn't put a hexproof anthem at common like this myself.
I just couldn't think of a good common. I'm really bad at designing them, specially thanks to the NWO.

>Again, I'd do the Coiling Oracle thing here, but it's a bit less necessary since it basically works like Miracle.
Now that you said it, I guess that the wording in this one could leave space to cheating because you don't reveal the draw. I'll change it to the Coiling Oracle text in this case.

>>54512249
That's a nice way to do Ritualism in Dimir.
>>
>>54512374
Nice card, team
>>
File: Thanos of Titan.png (294KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thanos of Titan.png
294KB, 375x523px
>>
BUUUMMMP
>>
File: Julian Keller Hellion7.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Julian Keller Hellion7.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
I feel like the +X/+X in this might require G somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure.

>>54511632
Cool use of Remembrance.

>>54511811
I still feel like Ritualism is just too broad to really be useful as an ability word.

>>54511946
Casters? Like, the magic guns from Outlaw Star? Anyway, I'm with the other guy, making equip cost a color seems really contradictory to what equipment are supposed to be. After that, the ETB stuff really confuses me. Like, I'm not even sure how that works in terms of flavor.

>>54512066
Eh, I'd prefer the card in RW, since I feel like that color combo is more in-tune with Equipment than UR. Could just be me though.

>>54512374
Interesting. I do have to say though, why does Remembrance say "all other abilities"? It's not like the creature will continue to have any of the abilities Remembrance gives it if it hits the graveyard.

>>54512999
Why exiled? Also, you don't have to say "face-up" since only face-up cards in exiled have any properties, ie. card types.
>>
>>54516092
>I do have to say though, why does Remembrance say "all other abilities"? It's not like the creature will continue to have any of the abilities Remembrance gives it if it hits the graveyard.
But some players might think a creature would retain those abilities, and reminder text's primary function is to eliminate confusion.
>Julian Keller
I like how prowess organically fuels the activated ability. Solid.
>>
File: Thor Odinson2.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thor Odinson2.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
Guess what trailer I saw recently. Tried to go for a more simplistic take. And yeah, he doesn't have his hammer, I'm making that a separate card. Wondering if I should allow the player to move the top card somewhere if it isn't an Equipment, instant, or sorcery. Draw doesn't seem very mR, maybe tuck or mill?

>>54516140
>reminder text
I still think it's unnecessary, but you do whatever you feel is best.
>Julian Keller
That's what I was aiming for. Thanks.
>>
File: scorp.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
scorp.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
Trying to figure out costs on this, unsure if I should change the numbers on the ability to make it once per turn, or add something else to it so it isn't completely lacking if drafted for monoblack.
>>
>>54512767
>because you don't want to give it Remembrance.
It doesn't matter if you give it remembrance because remembrance only functions in the graveyard.
>>
>>54517680
I guess I'd suggest uncommon, make the ability cost two hybrid R/W, and give Menace.

Also, no offense, but why are you using the old frame?
>>
>>54517810
He knows that, shown here >>54516140 he just wants to cut down on all possible confusion. Personally I think he's going overboard with it, but hey, it's his card.
>>
>>54512999
>except its name still Sakashima the Impostor
kek
>>
File: Erina Principle of Being.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Erina Principle of Being.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>54516092
>I still feel like Ritualism is just too broad to really be useful as an ability word.
I do agree that ritualism is a too broad, but there are lots of other mechanics that are also too broad like kicker or split cards. I really wanted a G/U exile-matters mechanics, tho.

>Why exiled? Also, you don't have to say "face-up" since only face-up cards in exiled have any properties, ie. card types.
Because you'll be exiling a lot of your own cards in G/U, thanks to Ritualism. Also, I removed the face-up, thanks.

>>54517831
Whoops.
>>
File: scorp.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
scorp.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>54517814
Not sure how I feel about the inclusion of Menace here, though I do think the ability will be more reasonable with double hybrid.

As for the old frame, I hadn't gotten around to installing the new ones yet.
>>
>>54518256
I recommended Menace because you wanted to add something for mB. I mean, the problem is with the ping, since it has implications for some other keywords.

Deathtouch? Yeah, right.
Lifelink? Makes sense for W, not so much for R.

After that, we get Haste, Trample, Flying, and FStrike. FStrike I don't really like seeing with the ping, it just makes me question why it has both. Flying doesn't begin to make sense. Trample on a 1/1 feels odd. Haste... I'm not entirely sure why, but it just rubs me the wrong way on this card.
>>
>>54519399
Yeah, that's sensible. I do like Menace as a basic thing on it, even if it doesn't quite mesh together.

I do think there is some synergy there though, luring out chump blockers and zapping them.
>>
>>54517810
I understood his reasoning. I could sew someone getting confused and trying to double up
>>
File: custom card challenge.png (336KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
custom card challenge.png
336KB, 1600x1000px
Rolled 3, 9, 10, 6 = 28 (4d10)

Might as well post this and roll. I've been thinking Spiders recently, so let's see if I can incorporate them somehow. I'm going to skip rolling for color though, since Spiders are pretty much always G.
>>
File: Descent of Spiders.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Descent of Spiders.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Rolled 3, 6, 8, 8 = 25 (4d10)

>>54521587
>Sorcery, token generation, CMC X, uncommon
Hmm, I think I'll do Spiders once more.
>>
Rolled 6, 6 = 12 (2d6)

>>54521587
roll
>>
Rolled 3, 8, 9 = 20 (3d10)

>>54521587
Rolling for type, mechanic and theme on hardmode.
>>
File: Resource Denial.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Resource Denial.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>54522230
It's also UR because since Chandra's Revolution I guess that Wizards wants to give Red some form of mana denial nowadays.
>>
>>54522524
>his
Sexist
>>
File: Resource Denial.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Resource Denial.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>54523024
Now in gender neutral flavor.
>>
>>54523097
>their
Grammatically incorrect...ist
>>
>>54523115
wrong

singular they has been legit for centuries, if not more. People who care about grammar accept singular they, people who care about politics make a fuss over it because making pointless stupid noise is all they know how to do.
>>
>>54523186
In the context of MTG wording, it's incorrect. MTG uses "his or her."
>>
>>54523186
Cool story bro. Tell it to Wizards so they change their policy for Magic wording. Until then, you're wrong, and he's right.
>>
File: Resource Denial.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Resource Denial.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>54523115
>>54523186
>>54523220
>>54523235
It was just a goddamn joke, calm down.
>>
So I have been doing the design for an entire weird west set with me and a buddy. I want to talk about it in general terms here. So first the new card type and new keywords:

>New Card Type
>Firearm
Firearm is a new artifact type. All firearms are equipment, and all firearms have the keyword Ammo. For instance the card Double Barreled Shotgun has Ammo 2 on it, meaning it comes into play with two ammo counters on it. Every firearm has a tap ability to spend an ammo counter to do something, this varies by card. At the beginning of your uptap step, if a firearm is untapped, you put an additional ammo counter on it (meaning you can only reload the firearm on turns you do not use it).

>New Keywords
>Quick loader
If a creature with Quickloader 2 has a firearm equipped the firearm, when it would gain an ammo counter, gains a number of additional counters equal to the quickload amount (A creature with Quickload 1 puts 1 additional ammo counter on a firearm at the beginning of the upkeep)

>Shootout
Cards with shootout have etb effects. Each player begins flipping cards off the top of his library until he flips a land. Whoever flipped less cards won the shootout. Cards have effects based on which player won the shootout.

>Horde
Horde cards have an activated ability whenever a certain number of cards which share a creature type with that card either enter or exit the battlefield. This is mainly used by the GR kobold tribe.

Other features of the set is the fact it is going to revisit vehicles as one of its major things.

(1/2)
>>
>>54524193
Now for the tribes supported in the set. The theme is "A Story of Two Wars". There are two Three colored factions, each split in half in war with itself each supported by a two color faction.

One war is esper spirits are split between BW and UW spirits. BW are Spirit Rogues and UW are Spirit Judges. Judge is a new creature type for the set. Their war is themed as a sort of lawmen vs. outlaws between a permanently dwelling spirit population. This war is supported by GR kobolds. The second war is Jund snakes split between GW Snake Nomads and GB Snake Mercenaries. Their whole theme is basically a race of rattlesnake people, natives vs. those trying to run them off the land. This war is supported by BW Aven who are themed as the established authority who is not involving themselves.

I also have the design for several firearms, new vehicles, creatures, the planeswalker A kamigawan samurai who stole the idea of firearms from this plane, he's basically Oda Nobunaga, he's Mardu as they're all the samurai colors, and some of the more interesting legendary creatures The legendary kobold has Horde 1, whenever a kobold enters or leaves the battlefield he creates an Artifact Token "Powder Keg" with "Sac, Deal 1 Damage to All Players"..

Please someone tear my shitty ideas apart.

Also dear christ I just realized I butchered the wording of Quick Loader when typing it out here.
>>
>>54524193
>>54524217
The idea for Firearm seems fine if you're including guns. Decent way to handle it. I would say that you could have it use Charge counters instead and have a bit more variety with it, since then you could also include more esoteric guns and weapons that still fit the set mechanics, while just making any specific guns function the way you laid out. Simpler is better in that regard.

Quickloader I would say feels too narrow as a keyword as well. It also has the potential to cause some weird quirks when you get someone with Quickloader 3 on that double-barrel shotgun. It feels like the sort of thing where you'd rather have some creatures with ETB of tap effects that could put extra counters on a permanant.

Shootout I really like, since it's a more 'fair' version of Clash since it isn't as reliant on building your deck with a particular CMC. It will favor control over aggro a bit though, and you may want to include some Scry effects in various places to offset that.

Horde feels really gimmicky and narrow, especially if you're only using it for Kobolds. It also sounds more like an ability word rather than a full keyword. Better to just leave it be.

As for the factions you suggested, the only thing I'm not sure on is splitting them so cleanly. It feels like the Spirit rogues and judges won't really be interacting with the snakes at all, and vice versa. It also feels like there won't end up being a lot of variety outside those factions, but that could be rectified. The GR kobolds seem really, really out of place with everything else you listed though, especially since I think those Snake nomads were supposed to be GR?

The planeswalker idea sounds great, but overall I don't think those tribal themes fit a western style setting as well.
>>
>>54524193
What will these Firearms do besides ping and possibly tap? I mean, there's not a whole lot of utility when it comes to such a weapon.
>>
>>54524655
>>54524655
Ah yes one part of the Ammo keyword I forgot is that is also the maximum number of bullets they can have. So you can't quick load beyond it. That's more or less how it'll be different than just charge.

I see what you mean for quick load being more of an ability and less of a keyword. Also loading creatures and creatures that add on ETB makes sense. It should just be abilities and not a keyword.

I also considered not making them spirits and instead humans, which makes the kobolds fit more.

Horde is supposed to be a shared GR keyword. It's just mainly used by the kobolds. The idea is some snakes also do horde since they have green and some of the RU birds will do it as well.

The snakes are supports to be GW. I realized I mistyped horribly. It's supposed to be WGB snakes with W&B being the split and RB Aven. White being nomad and green being snake. It's supposed to be the Indian faction essentially. I think the planeswalker would fit better with humans instead of spirits as well as the main white creature type for that faction.

Now for them not interacting. That I'm not really sure how to fix without changing the theme of the entire thing. The only way would be to set the two 5 color factions against each other. Or drawing it was the three color splits each form parts of one side with the two color factions dusupports both.

Perhaps, if it changes to humans, human rogues/snake nomads VS. human judges/snake mercenaries with Kobolds and Aven supporting both sides.
>>
>>54524846
I was deciding on their design space. My biggest points for them is:
>remove protection
An example is Flare Gun an Ammo 1 Firearm that removed hexproof from target attacking or defending creature.

Net gun removes flying. Grapeshot does ping multiple creatures. Elephant gun kills above 4 power creatures. Smoke grenade gives unblock able. Rickshaw Cannon destroys a land.

The design space is mainly damage, removal, and removing protection. It does some tapping on the side.
>>
>>54525018
>That I'm not really sure how to fix without changing the theme of the entire thing.

I would support changing the theme, because to be honest, it doesn't seem like a great theme for a wild west plane. The wild west has a lot of people out for themselves, very little central authority, and having many things be self contained.

The idea of having these sweeping 3-color wars going on, with sub-factions within them, doesn't fit that idea. Why are the native snakes White at all instead of just Green? Why do the snake-oil salesman have to be G/B outside of a pun, and why are they also lumped together with the native snakes? Why are they at such odds at all? Why aren't the snake-oil salesmen just mono-black due to their greed?

It's like some weird mashup of Ravnica and Alara and I don't know why you're doing it when the average Wild West town does not have nearly the scope of an entire city or shard of a plane. Isolation and mono-color strikes me as something much more befitting a world of gunslingers. If two sides end up working together, it's more likely due to a temporary shared goal or enemy, rather than being an official group.

I'm just not sure what you're trying to accomplish by organizing things in such a rigid and complex fashion.
>>
>>54525195
Hmm. OK, I'm interested. Though I hope you realize for Hexproof, you can't use a target to remove it, it prevents targets in the first place.
>>
>>54524193
>Firearm
>Firearm is a new artifact type. All firearms are equipment, and all firearms have the keyword Ammo. For instance the card Double Barreled Shotgun has Ammo 2 on it, meaning it comes into play with two ammo counters on it. Every firearm has a tap ability to spend an ammo counter to do something, this varies by card. At the beginning of your uptap step, if a firearm is untapped, you put an additional ammo counter on it (meaning you can only reload the firearm on turns you do not use it).
I like the ammo mechanic, but I would no key word it. Think of it like energy in kaladesh. I know theyre equips but it doesnt seem like the equip matters. I would make it so the ability needs you to be equipped, or give the creature the tap ability when equipped. I prefer the latter. I think its okay for you to be able to reload unequipped. I wouldnt make it automatic either, its just a tap ability to reload. The gameplay is a little different but it feels better to me and no memory.

Quickloader seems unnecesary to be keyword either. I would just make it a creature type (gunner?) that have an affinity for Firearms (again like KLD Pilots, amon other examples), and they can just have ability unkeyworded.

I really love the flavor of shootout. Like everybody is tossing bullets until a hit. I dont feel it solves any of clash's issues though, though I like that it asks less of deckbuilding if your goal is to actually win a shootout. I have no answer though so just go for it. Have you figured out what happens to the flipped cards? To the grave? To the bottom randomly?

I like horde but if its not as simple as "Horde - Whenever a creature that shares a type with this creature enters the battlefield under your control , x.", its probably more than it needs to be.

Got any commons? Been working on a western set myself though it seems very different so far, especially the setting. Your foreign walker sounds better than the idea I had for mine, though.
>>
>>54525290
The flaregun itself has "Can target creatures as if they did not have hexproof" as part of its thing.

>>54525205
The main this is coherent tribal support. Though that can be done just by having several tribal groups in sort of a jumble.

>WU
Judges
>GR
Kobolds
>UB
Rebels (not sure what creature type)
>BR
Outlaws (rogue creature type)
>WG
Settlers (nomad creature type)

Then make it more civil war in some way. I'll have to think on that.
>>
>>54525367
I though of giving the creature the tap ability. Gaining ammo counts does require the firearm to be equipped to something. I forgot to say that as well.

Ammo only counts up while equipped. When I was looking into it giving both the firearm and the creature tap abilities while equipped felt too complicated.

Cards flipped during a shoutout go on the bottom in a random order. There is a enchantment I made that made them instead go to the graveyard for both players.

An example common was:
>Kobold Gultch Sifter
>Hybrid RG
>0/1
>Sacrafice this creature and one Mountain or Forrest, put two RG 1/1 Kobold tokens with haste onto the battlefield.

Honestly I considered it being 3 Kobold tokens but that seemed too much since this common is supposed to feed into Horde.
>>
>>54525367
Also I was gonna say to make it even better just have the horde creatures also trigger on themselves as well. Then I realized thats just rally. I dont know how you feel about that.
>>
>>54525373
>Judges
Advisors?

>Rebels (not sure what creature type)
How about... Rebels?

>Settlers
How about Civilians?

Anyway, is this your first set?
>>
Rolled 9, 5, 2 = 16 (3d10)

>>54521587
Rolling for type, mechanic and theme on hardmode again.
>>
>>54525605
Yeah probably just rebels. I would just thinking of making judges its own type.

I don't think civilians is a creature type. I chose nomads because it is one already.
>>
>>54525705
Sorry, not Civilian, Citizen.

Anyway, if you're doing tribal, I suggest you seriously study the Lorwyn and Shadowmoor blocks, and probably the first Innistrad block, to really get a sense of how all the tribal components work, and how parts of them can overlap.
>>
File: Towers of Madness.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Towers of Madness.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>54525670
I think I got it.
>>
>>54525750
Eh, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor might not be the best, though the ways it tries to mix tribes is interesting and thats what you were talking about. Maybe check out Onslaught as well as both Innistrad blocks imo, but mostly Dark Ascension.
>>
>>54525705
It also might be a good idea to check out other custom sets for do's and don'ts
>>
>>54525811
>Lorwyn and Shadowmoor might not be the best
What makes you say that?
>>
>>54525865
It wasnt a great execution of tribal on the whole. Individual ideas from it might be fine though.
>>
>>54525811
If you read the articles on Lorwyn, they actually have a lot of good advice on making functional tribal sets. One that always stuck with me was the concept of 'bridges' and also making tribes blend into multiple colors.

If you just have Red Goblins as a very strict tribe, then anyone drafting will only be able to play Red goblins.

If, however, you have Red and Black goblins, that gives some options. And then if you draft something like Boggart Slinger that deals damage whenever a Kithkin is played, that makes the idea of splashing a few White Kithkin more appealing.
>>
>>54526030
Having tr8bes cross colors is something innistrsd did well and was a facot rin Onslaught as well. I did specifically point out lorwyn block did an interesting bridging thing that was only a minor theme in Dark ascension.

Also just realized i couldnt bring myself to do a tribal theme set until Ixalan block was out since Im almost certain its big mechanical theme is tribal. Fuck
>>
>>54526134
But Lorwyn took it a step further, for the simple fact that there were no cards without one of the major tribal types, and they had Changelings on top of that so that you could blend tribes and colors that otherwise had no support together more easily.

Some of the bigger mistakes for Lorwyn were simply the keywords themselves not being too relevant (aside from Evoke on Elementals being great), and the Tribal supertype itself being put on cards that otherwise didn't have strong tribal theme.

Tribal Theme in general may be where Lorwyn falls short the most, as aside from Elementals many of the tribes don't have a unifying mechanic that they want to work towards. It was probably designed that way so they could work with eachother more easily, but it lacks stuff like Transform with Werewolves that can have such a central thing.
>>
File: scorpion.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
scorpion.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Pretty straightforward card, but I wanted to make sure the mana cost and P/T weren't off
>>
>>54526279
The biggest and loudest mistake of Lorwyn block was explicitly that the tribal was pushed way too far. Its just that simple.

Personally I think SOI did tribes brillisntly by having them care about the type but also unifying trives in gameplay by having cards focus on a sort of archetyp. Vampire tribal was an aggressive madness deck, so decks that cared about discard or aggressive strategies would use vampire cards even if they didnt care about the type. Its a much less hamfisted way of getting inter tribal gameplay than Lprwyn block did imo, though they are different tools so its up to you which you like. OG INN tried to do this but it was in a much more general sense (vampires are aggro, zombies are control, etc.). SOI refined it imo.
>>
>>54526524
I could see that. A lot of the interaction in Lorwyn is very self-contained, so outside of Evoke with the Elementals, there wasn't a good way of blending it.

I still do think it's a very good block to look at for examples of how to do tribal well, but it needs to be tempered with some non-tribal focus and interactions alongside it.
>>
>>54526773
>I could see that.
I mean... that was expressly wizard's, or at least Mark's, problem with the block. The main thing he said it messed up was drafting. Youd pick a tribe and you wouldnt care about anything else because the tribal was so pushed. There were occasionnal things like the off color off tribe cards that cared about your tribe, but your main concern drafting was still I just care about this creature type. Iirc its been said about Onslaught levels is as tribal as they want to go, which is a little more than Innistrad. Plus we have Ixalan as another barometer coming soon.
>>
>>54526903
I'd still argue from a design standpoint that could have been solved by simply having more tribal bridges. A lot of color pairings only had a single card that would really offer a way to bring them together. It'd be possible to make a pretty good giant/kithkin deck, but tempting someone building giants or kithkin to branch out would be more difficult if there's only one card in each that cares about the other.
>>
>>54526954
What I mean is, I feel SOI just did that better than having giant cards that care about kithkin. Though there may be reason to go one way or the other that I'm not sure of. Because SOI spirit tribal was a skies/flicker deck, its constituent pieces could inherently be used with other tribes in those colors if you were in the market for those effects, and trixks and flyers are very useful in limited in gener. Is it just me that feels this way? I never hear anybody talk about how well SOI did tribal imo.
>>
File: Mirrodins Saving Call.png (299KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mirrodins Saving Call.png
299KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54527417
Feels kind of odd to be putting -1/-1 counters on your own things while saving Mirrodin, plus it's really easy to spam Scry 1 until you get what you need that way. If anything, I would say for it to be removing a counter and either costing 1 or W or R so you can't just cure everything, or causing it to tap.
>>
File: Disparate Realities.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Disparate Realities.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
bump
>>
File: Lord of the Burning Crypt.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lord of the Burning Crypt.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Since I posted the art last thread, one of my older designs.
>>
>>54530048
4 mana means the haste is mostly pointless.
>>
>>54530048
Feels like it could stand to cost 1 more, but if it's Mythic I think it can get away with it.
>>
File: Harrowing Murmurs.png (282KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Harrowing Murmurs.png
282KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54517649
No deck actually wants this.
>>
File: Weary Traveller.png (512KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Weary Traveller.png
512KB, 752x523px
>>
>>54531287
This card doesnt make sense. Its like a tormenting voice except you always get the worst top 2 instead of random top 2. I like the core idea of a red fact or fiction though.
>>
>>54525793
The "T: Add B to your mana pool." should be reminder text at the top of the text box, since it's a swamp. Then again, I'm not sure why it's got a basic land type at all. It should also tap as an additional cost to give your stuff menace.
>>
>>54531315
Any suggestions? Another idea I had is more or less the same, but instead of getting the card it triggers a different effect. Equipment would put a counter on Thor, I/S would have him ping.

>>54529509
Interesting. Not entirely sure how to cost it though. And I realize that technically this is different from Shadow, but I think I'd like to see it be a Curse that gives creatures Shadow, just to see the name "Curse of Shadows" on a card.

>>54530048
Seems like an interesting idea, but I think it needs more refining. I'm with the other guys, I'm not sure about Haste (especially since it won't need it for the ability), and I do think it should cost a bit more.

>>54531287
Yeah, I think I'm with the other guy here. Besides, wouldn't a Red FoF pick one of the piles randomly?

>>54531537
Kinda interesting. Not really keen on seeing the Werewolf have the same P/T as the creature though.
>>
On the topic of tribal, how would it work for a subtheme if I had a block with many, many different creature types, but had the handfuls that shared a creature type have some sort of synergy?

Nothing direct or exclusively calling out the typing, but things like having one benefit from discarding cards while another has another effect that discards them easily?
>>
File: (1381177218641_2.jpg (284KB, 2363x1156px) Image search: [Google]
(1381177218641_2.jpg
284KB, 2363x1156px
I am trying to make a token using MSE2 with this image, but when I choose the image it goes to a terrible low resolution quality. I know that the orignal image it not that crispy, but even so I expected much more. The "preview" image is better than the actual result the editor gives me when I finish selecting the image. There is a way to improve the image quality output in MS2 or I need to make my token in the photoshop? (the "sharpen filter" is useless).
>>
File: Oath of Sorin.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Oath of Sorin.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>54535538
Except for the creature type thing, isn't that kinda what happens in good sets already? Like, self-synergy without actually being tribal and calling things out? I mean, from Amonkhet, there were all the UB cards that care about Cycling and discarding.

>>54535796
Yeah, MSE pretty much always makes art look like shit. Sorry, I can't really think of anything for MSE. I'd suggest mtg.design but it doesn't have a token frame.
>>
File: Possessive Demon2.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Possessive Demon2.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Still trying to get the balance right.
>>
File: Angel of Sorrow and Regret.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Angel of Sorrow and Regret.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54536207
The +4/+4 to the bestowed creature feels like a bit much, wven with the downside of needing constant sacrifices. Which isn't all too bad, since after you swing with it you could always sacrifice it for more value.

>>54537980
Haste feels really strong here when combined with a body of that size. Blowing up 4 of your own lands in an RB aggro deck doesn't feel like a big enough downside to keep this thing sane. It's a drawback that will rarely matter as well, since you'll be playing this card when you're trying to finish someone off. I think you could bring it down to a 4/4 and it would still be a solid card.
>>
>>54539349
I know the +4/+4 is weird, but I can't really get around using Bestow and granting some sort of P/T bonus. I guess I could downgrade it to 3/3 and see where it goes. But the basic idea is that you can steal a creature, but you have to keep saccing to keep controlling it.
>>
deathbed bump
>>
File: Ganna the Rift-Blade.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ganna the Rift-Blade.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
Live, thread
>>
Rolled 7, 10, 9, 10 = 36 (4d10)

>>54521587
I'll give it a shot
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 375x523px
>this will never be a real card
why even bother living, /tg/
>>
>>54545369
That's cool as hell
>>
>>54545357
Well holy shit, I got a hard one. X cost red walker about god damn token gen.
>>
>>54545369
>>54545386
I agree. That's quite amazing design, and it draws from all three colors rather perfectly. It's punishing your opponent for casting spells while draining life, giving you cards, and generally building up your side of the board in response.

10/10
>>
>>54545369
The only thing I might change is add a rider to the clue generation (1st spell each turn, or noncreature/creature spells only) but other than that it totally knocks it out of the park
>>54545467
Do the X cost 1/1 token thing like Tempt With Purphuros Wins etc. Doesn't sound that bad
>>
File: Kahlrok Furys Forge.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kahlrok Furys Forge.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>54545467
Alright, here's my first try at it. I interpreted X to be X mana cost, and built it kind of like that new Nissa.
>>
File: Four Horsemen.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Four Horsemen.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
Got the idea from a game of Eternal I was playing earlier (don't get me started, it was a really annoying control deck that spent about 20 turns just doing nothing but wiping out everything I set up in order to play this single bomb card). And of course the obvious origin. I think I might make a "And Hell Followed" card later.

>>54545369
Nuts in commander. Honestly wondering if it should be rebalanced because of it.

>>54545467
You can always just use the X differently. How else do you think people make lands with mana costs? We just use whatever the mana cost rolls to do with an activated ability.
>>
File: Kahlrok Furys Forge.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kahlrok Furys Forge.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>54545801
Alright, after some workshopping, here's a slight update. the +2 was kind of bad.
>>
>>54545960
The +2 is hot garbage. Nearly zero impact on the board. For a similar, less-bad version, check out Xenagos. Also consider giving the hellions trample instead of haste to better pair with the ult.
>>
>>54511632

Huge fan of this one.
>>
File: Mace.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mace.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54513201

Fun concept, though I feel like Thanos would probably be harder to put down than getting double blocked by a 3/3 and a 2/2.
>>
>>54545960
The +2 is actually worse now, yeah.
>>
>>54526458

Being green probably justifies the p/t.
>>
>>54531287

This would be delicious in black.
>>
>>54544245

I'm a little confused as to why I would want to use this.
>>
File: A LOT OF NUTS.png (263KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
A LOT OF NUTS.png
263KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Swallow Whole.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Swallow Whole.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you think this effect fits in White?
>>
>>54546708
>>
>>54546708

Black takes advantage of others' weakness. Could ALMOST work in green (it being removal aside), but they're more based on comparative power.
>>
>>54546708
It's weird, but not technically out of pie, since white gets creature exile.
>>
File: Sowing Distant Fields.png (184KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sowing Distant Fields.png
184KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54546712
>>54546846
I guess I just don't see what really separates this from Last Breath

>>54546922
I may just end up reworking it. It causes enough complaints and confusion that it probably isn't worth forcing.
>>
>>54546695
THAT'S A LOTTA NUTS!!
>>
>>54547253
I don't see the synergy between the two abilities
>>
>>54547310
>I guess I just don't see what really separates this from Last Breath
It's effectively 3 dmg or -X/-3: red or black based removal that punishes low toughness. Last breath is a different paradigm that instead punishes low power. White already has plenty types of removal that it doesn't need another (although it already can burn creatures, but only if they're attacking or blocking).
>>
>>54547330
I think it's supposed to let you steal your opponents' lands that get exiled by Ingest. Though frankly I think a better ability would be something like
>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of that player's library. If a land card is exiled this way, put it onto the battlefield under your control tapped.
Or something similar.
>>
>>54545516
Eh... is it really that amazing? Unless Im missing something, investigate and extort dont necessarily have any synergy, and the card is just two things stuck together. I get thats the point but it doesnt strike me as esprcially interesting. The closest thread I can figure is that extort gets better if you have a lot of it and you'll be making a lot of clues, I guess, but thats very loght and doesnt strike me as especially novel. Its not a horrible design or anything but its getting awful high praise. Whats so excellent about it? I mostly just am interested in knowing.
>>
Can you have colourless elementals?
>>
>>54547498
Nothing strictly prevents it, but most colorless creatures are either artifacts or eldrazi
>>
>>54547498
If you have the flavor justification and peehaps a mechanical hook, you can have whatever creature type wise.
>>
>>54547471
VALUE
A
L
U
E

Which to a lot of people, is apparently good design.
>>
File: old oc.png (309KB, 375x524px) Image search: [Google]
old oc.png
309KB, 375x524px
Getting back into the game after a few years.
>>
>>54547498
Am I the only one here who tries to find answers for himself or what?
>>
File: Rakshasa Scholar.png (263KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rakshasa Scholar.png
263KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54547471
Well, part of it for me is that it is using two mechanics from two different blocks in a rather novel way. Shadows over Innistrad didn't do any mechanics that gave new abilities to Clues. At most, it had a few cards with extra triggers when you sacrificed one, and Tamiyo's Journel being able to sac 3 for an 'enhanced' effect.

It also blends the mechanixs of the colors very well. It discourages the opponent from casting spells, thus giving you clues, which fits with Blue and White It can then either play further spells to drain life, or sacrifice them for more cards. It also works nicely from a flavor perspective, the idea of gathering your enemy's secrets and then blackmailing them.

It all just fits together in a very clean way. It doesnt need to be a perfect synergy, but it is using an aspect of each to make them both better. The ability to amass clues, combined with Extort's love of being spammed.
>>
File: Ancestral Remembrance.png (255KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ancestral Remembrance.png
255KB, 375x523px
>>54547617
We wedge now.

Really like this. The rakshasa are my jam.
>>
>>54512689
u dumb boi
>>
>>54512689
>>54547806
I can see what he was going for. Either the opponent gives you a 6/6, or you have a 3/3 and then a 4/4.

The problem is that it's only 3 mana, which is way too inexpensive in either case.
>>
>>54547924
Not unless you make it a Legendary™ Mythic Rare®
>>
File: Salt Elemental.png (293KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Salt Elemental.png
293KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54547737
Seems cool.

>>54549089
Eh, seems like it needs a lot of setup for it to be good for its cost.
>>
>>54545369
Instead of extort I'd like a drain effect more when you sac a clue, if you extort you'll never have enough mana to sac the clues too.
>>
File: Jace Guild Arbiter18.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jace Guild Arbiter18.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Still trying to get this done. As for the anon who mentioned the Chain Veil, you'd still need mana to power the Veil itself, so you'd need something else to produce mana, making it at least a three-card combo, which I'm not really that worried about right now. I might change it in the future though.
>>
File: Gyriaha Ecologist.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gyriaha Ecologist.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
On the topic of planeswalkers, how does this look?
>>
>>54553970
The +2 on that one seems very strong for something so repeatable. Any tap effects without mana cost can be used twice, and it also basically gives everything vigilance.

It feels like it could be dialed back to just being 2 permanents and still be a pretty good benefit.
>>
>>54556694
Eh, I think I'll just switch it back to Detain then. God, I barely have any idea where to go with this, I've gone through so many iterations. +2 to Detain, maybe -X to draw X, and I've never had a good idea for the ult.

>>54556677
Hmm, first and second seem OK, but the emblem is just Bident of Thassa, with less utility. Maybe change to scale, like Cold-Eyed Selkie? Also, Shroud was replaced by Hexproof a long time ago. Oh, and the wording for tokens has changed somewhat recently. The new wording for that second ability should be
>Create a 1/1 blue Faerie creature token with flying and hexproof.
>>
>>54557246
>God, I barely have any idea where to go with this
Well, what do you want it to do? What role do you want it to play? If all you want it "Jace, but also white," then I'm not surprised you're having difficulty nailing down a singular cohesive design.
>>54556677
Shroud is dead and negates the usefulness of the +1. Tokens don't need shroud. Targeted removal is rarely going to be used on your 1/1 token. Cut out extraneous bits of design.
>>
File: Korro Tribal Hunter6.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Korro Tribal Hunter6.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>54557311
>Jace
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Which really makes me feel like an ass now.

Well, here's a planeswalker I do have a good idea what to do with. I'm actually pretty sure it's done, just making one last check. Hopefully.
>>
>>54557393
My only issue is that it is entirely reliant on having other permanents on the board already. It does literally nothing without a creature. I'd revamp the +1 to create a token of some sort, so that it can at least do something on an empty board. On the plus side, the design is cohesive and unified towards a single end that each ability contributes to, so props for that.
>>
>>54557246
>>54557311
Yeah, Shroud was only there because I wanted to have something extra along with flying, but it doesn't do much.

Thanks for the tip on the wording. I may make the Emblem scale with power to have it be more helpful and better function alongside the +1, but I was worried it would get out of hand. Though I suppose anything really big hitting face while you got a planeswalker ult off would already basically be a win anyway.
>>
>>54557462
>Shroud was only there because I wanted to have something extra along with flying
Why? Whenever you add something to a design, ask yourself why. If you can't come up with a good, design-based reason for the extra thing being there, it probably is a good idea to consider not adding it.
>>
File: The Wooden Dragon6.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Wooden Dragon6.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>54557453
Cool, thanks for the advice. So for the +1, maybe a 1/1 with Haste? Or just a 1/1?
>>
File: Festerhound.png (267KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Festerhound.png
267KB, 375x523px
>>54557664
Has this changed from the last time it was posted? I don't even know. It seems fine to me, given how it works. The last ability is pretty strong depending, but should be pricey enough. I'd pull the Haste off it though.

Reposting and bumping since I don't have time to make a card.
>>
>>54547737
Wow, this art is shockingly close to tarkir style, just the armor is Mardu while the shields are Abzan. I normally prefer to just use existing art for cards flavored as from an existing plane but this is good.

Ability is fine too.
>>
File: Objurgate.png (272KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Objurgate.png
272KB, 375x523px
>>54559569
p. sure it's a commissioned playmat art
>>
>>54559436
Yeah, I haven't changed it at all. Sorry, but I do like to post a few times before considering a card done. Will remove Haste though.

>Festerhound
Hmm... Eh, not entirely sure about this one. I like the effect, but I'm just not certain on how to cost it. Sorry.

>>54559610
Interesting. Not entirely sure how much use it will have though. I'm honestly wondering if you could get away with making it WBR.
>>
>>54559436
>>54560725
I think the Festerhound might work better at 4 mana over 3, or at least being more strict with the color requirements. Right now it's pretty damn efficient and would also be easy to get 2 for 1 with.
>>
File: Barry Allen the Flash10.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Barry Allen the Flash10.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Still searching for the best wording for this. I think I might try out the "Repeat this process X times, where X is the number of speed counters on ~" wording.
>>
>>54561206
That wording is definitely more splashy which seems correct for the Flash.
>>
File: And Hell Followed.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
And Hell Followed.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>54561239
I don't really get what "splashy" means in this context. I'm guessing it means more flavorful?
>>
File: Frenzied Stampede.jpg (206KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Frenzied Stampede.jpg
206KB, 744x1039px
This can't be uncommon, right? This is pretty close to Hell's Thunder, and Ball Lightnings seem to lean rare, but it feels kinda lame to have something as iconic as a bull stampede not more common. But a stampede has GOTTA be a ball lightning.
>>
>>54561505
Cooler. More awesome. That wording is cooler.
>>
>>54561575
Actually, looking up some cards that use repeating processes, it doesn't look like they allow for changing targets, so it doesn't look like I can use that wording. Sorry.

>>54561552
Eh, probably rare, yeah. And as for stampedes, I think that's more of a G thing. Overcome, Overrun, Overwhelm, etc. As for a creature, I think a variant Pathbreaker Ibex could represent a stampede.
>>
>>54561681
Eh, Im pretty sure red is the correct color for a raging bull (which is actually a card but thats not the point), and this is an upside version of that. The card I was particularly inspired by was Arc Runner. Green is a way to represent but I think red has the correct, dangerous feel.
>>
>>54561884
>upside
Upsized
>>
>>54561884
A raging bull alone fits as Red, but cards that depcit stampedes tend to be Green Sorceries instead that give all your creatures bonuses to p/t and trample.

I would have a single raging steer as a Red card that you could give Menace, trample, and have as a smaller common or uncommon, with a Green spell depicting a full herd stampeding being in a lower rarity as well.

Not everything depicting the acts of animals or people on the plane has to be a creature card.
>>
>>54561944
It's about the specific feel of what the card wants to get across. A bull stampede is usually characterized as being started by something frightening the herd suddenly. I wanted the here today, gone tomorrow feel. An Overrun feels different. It's a subtle thing. It feels more like an ultimatum from nature. It doesn't feel like frightened animals coming and going. Do you get what I'm saying?

Also it seems unnecessary to have 2 depictions of a wild bull specifically. I was probably gonna have a green or white single Ox though, probably just a reprint of like Pillarfield Ox or Yoked Ox or something if white.
>>
>>54562367
In that case, why not have it be an Earthquake style effect instead? Deal X damage to everything with flying.
>>
>>54562367
>>54562399
*without flying
>>
>>54562399
I guess that could work actually, never thought of an Earthquake. Like I said, was specifically inspired by Arc Runner so it never crossed my mind. It seems like they're usually at rare too though rolling thunder is uncommon. Kind of sucks not to see the world "trample" on a stampede card, but eh.
>>
>>54561944
Bull or steer, anon? Get your shit straight.
>>
>>54562451
I think you could make an uncommon version just fine. It would just probably need to be a strict value to everything without flying, rather than being variable and possibly hitting players or planeswalkers.

Firespout and Rolling Temblor are the examples I would point to
>>
>>54562533
Eh... 2 or 3 damage feels a little weak for getting trampled by a bunch of cattle. But I guess if we go by Overruns it's enough? Slice and Dice is at uncommon too.
>>
>>54562634
Eh, Elephants are usually 3/3 right? Everything getting stepped on by an Elephant seems roughly similar.

That said, I think what makes them uncommon has more to do with it being a flat value, rather than being an X spell, and only targetting creatures. The issue is that once you get closer to 4 power or more, you're basically talking a board-wipe anyway, which kind of needs to be rare.

Besides, assuming all of your cowboys aren't toughness 4 for some strange reason, then they'll still be dying in droves to a proper stampede, while anything really big will manage to hang on.
>>
>>54559610
This is really nice.
>>
File: Crushing Stampede.jpg (201KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Crushing Stampede.jpg
201KB, 744x1039px
I actually do like the spell angle a little more I think. Captures "all of a sudden, everything is trampled under foot, destruction left in their wake" a little better, maybe? Main thing is the "each creature" part. That was the purpose of menace in the original design. Wish I could justify 2rrr for cute overrun parallel but oh well. Of note there is a card called thunder of hooves with similar flavor. Do you feel Overwhelming Stampede/stampede/overrun/etc. captures the feeling of a cattle stampede better? I dunno, maybe its just me that feels it doesnt seem destructive enough.
>>
>>54563345
In regards to the theme of your plane (assuming you're the wild west guy), I would say this fits a stampede very well.

A stampede in regards to such a place would be more seen as a chaotic thing, rather than a directed intent of nature. It's a bunch of animals that were being tame and orderly suddenly having their emotions thrown in a frenzy, and running over anything that gets in their way in a panic. Compared to that, a Green stampede is more about the idea of the creatures charging, trampling, and stomping something that specifically offended them. It's still very wild, but more directed and intentional.

Put simply, a Green Stampede is an attack. A Red Stampede is a disaster.
>>
File: Eldritch Lore.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Lore.png
243KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54563505
>Put simply, a Green Stampede is an attack. A Red Stampede is a disaster.
Yes, this is exactly the difference in feeling I had in much more concise terms. Something throws the herd out of order and havoc and destruction occurs. I'm glad you got what I meant since it was kind of tough to put into words. That's the feeling I wanted.

I just realized that both overrun effects and also Thunder of hooves care about creature somehow and that actually feels important flavorwise. I have an idea but it's a lot less clean. It could probably still be uncommon though. I could colorshift Stampede but that still has the feeling mechanically of an overrun of not being destructive enough, though maybe just being red instead of green is enough to convey that. Maybe it should just be an overrun. Meh.

I am doing a wild west plane but I'm a different person than the one the other day with the warring tribes.
>>
>>54563838
I feel like having it be the damage still works. Think of most wild west movies, the stampede isn't usually part of the shootout or any actual fight, it's caused by someone throwing a gate open, causing the cows to run free and do as they will.

If most of your creatures are going to be gunmen and cowboys, having it center around creatures doesn't fit the flavor as well. The cowboys aren't the ones stampeding, and the cattle themselves aren't going to stick around to get shot at. In this regard, the stampede shouldn't care about creatures, because in a cowboy movie it'd could just as easily be tumbling rocks or a dust storm and have the same effect. You can't shoot it, it doesn't care about you, it's just a chaotic force that you have to try and avoid.
>>
>>54563947
>The cowboys aren't the ones stampeding, and the cattle themselves aren't going to stick around to get shot at.
I thought of this but it kind of applies to all overrun effects, and I think most creatures in most sets are humanoids. Also the idea I had would involve all creatures dying. I think this is just a flavor interaction I'm okay with having a contradiction with if I have to, like equipment and such. I dunno. It just kinda, kinda, kinda bugs me now that I've thought about it just a little that while Thunder of Hooves and overrun effects are different colors and portray the same idea in different ways, the connecting thread bridging the two is caring about creatures.
>>
File: Matter Over Mind.png (289KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Matter Over Mind.png
289KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Runaway Herd.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Runaway Herd.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Had an idea caused by the recent discussion. Kinda difficult to balance though. Do these stats seem good for a herd of cows?
>>
>>54564193
I feel like they should be tougher than that, though mechanically it makes little difference. Having them be 2/2 would be rather fitting, but that also alters the power of the card a lot.
>>
>>54564193
3/1 seems fine for cattle considering trample and haste. Feral Lighting gets you 2 for 6 cmc. This gets you 2 for 5 and is modal, but 1 for 4 is pretty bad rate and I think 2 for 5 is acceptable range for this effect. So I think this should be fine.
>>
>>54564274
I think 3/1 is fine since it feels like they're really powerful but fleeting which suits what the cattle are doing here. Only weird part is in the context of a set 3/1 ox tokens seems weird since it doesn't make much sense outside of this context, though it's okay to just have one rare make a token I think or maybe there's just a theme of runaway cows.
>>
>>54564306
Yeah, that's the only reason I would suggest changing it, is if you wanted to have any sort of other cards that made Ox or cattle tokens, but even then there's no real reason why you couldn't just have different ones.
>>
>>54564306
>>54564331
You could easily re-flavor it to be 3/1 Elementals. I based these tokens on them anyway.
>>
File: Crushing Stampede.jpg (207KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Crushing Stampede.jpg
207KB, 744x1039px
>>54564277
Aimed at >>54564274
Also this was the alternate idea and it's a little cleaner written out than I thought it would be. Only thing is A) it feels weird to have it scale this way, more creatures usually means they're weaker, and B) I'm not sure if it's correct to care about all creatures but only deal damage to creatures without flying. Also I'd really like this to deal damage to players but it feels a little too powerful if this can just finish an opponent randomly if there's enough creatures on the battlefield. Thunder of Hooves does too but it only cares about a subset and probably just a subset only you would be playing.
>>
File: Crushing Stampede (1).jpg (209KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Crushing Stampede (1).jpg
209KB, 744x1039px
>>54564389
Also this, though still not sure if it's okay to count all creatures you control but only hurt non flying ones. Is that confusing? I think only counting ones you control helps but eh. Also mana cost should be higher probably as again Thunder of Hooves only counted beasts which were also mostly not cheap creatures, but mostly trying to nail the effect.
>>
>>54564389
>>54564560
I would say that off these, counting only your own creatures fits a bit better, although I'd also say as a whole that if you're going for damage, it'd be better to keep it simple like >>54563345
>>
>>54564389
>>54564560
Er... hate to break it to you, but this is basically just a worse Chain Reaction... which by itself is really only seen as inferior to Blasphemous Act. I get it's at a different rarity, but still.
>>
>>54564759
That's okay. It doesn't need to be better or even on par with Blasphemous Act.
>>
>>54564784
>>54564759
Also it deals damage to players in one of those (also have a version where it deals damage to each opponent instead of each player as I'm not sure if they still have stuff hurt all players including you these days), though again it's not really an issue if it's worse than anything else. It's just about capturing a destructive, chaotic stampede, preferably at a lower rarity.
>>
File: Paralytic Shock.png (280KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Paralytic Shock.png
280KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54564959
Odd, but interesting. The damage feels a bit superfluous, since I don't see ever using this on a creature compared to trying to shut down someone's draws.
>>
>>54564959
Is denying draw even BR? I've only ever seen it on W and UB cards.
>>
>>54565250
A quick search shows it more on Blue cards, but even there it's in the context of having an opponent skip their draw and letting you draw instead.

I feel it could be stretched into black regarding denying draws entirely, sort of being a 'preemptive discard'
>>
File: Resonanting Fossil.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Resonanting Fossil.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54565690
This has so many conditions for such a marginal effect. Prism Ring is such a better design of what you're trying to achieve.
>>
>>54566069
Perhaps, though I did want to include creature types with it to have a small aspect of tribal synergy. I had based it around Prism Ring style cards like Kraken's eye and the rest of that cycle.

Would you say it'd be better if it only required one permanent rather than two, or should I rework it so that it's a larger effect?
>>
File: Sentient Biomass.png (271KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sentient Biomass.png
271KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54567387
ALL HAIL LIZZARD WIZZARD
Please, there's like, 100 things you can do better with that image.
> Maze Chameleon
> Legendary Lizard God
> "HALT TRAVELER. HEAR THE BALLAD OF THE LIZARD AFORE YE NAVIGATE MY LABYRINTH"
>>
>>54511510
This card's flavour feels more like it should be black. I don't think any other colour, not even green, will tear apart its own forces like this to fashion a weapon.
>>
>>54565690
>>54566181
The lucky charms are all kinda weak. But "Fossil" here makes me think graveyard. I think some sort of graveyard interaction, or check, could make for something interesting. Maybe... I dunno, cast a creature spell, recur a creature card with the same type? Might be too good though.
>>
>>54570185
Hmm, perhaps I could change it to triggering off cards in the graveyard instead, and also give it a more meaningful effect?

I could also potentially just increase the lifegain, since needing it to share a color with things on the field is at least a tad more difficult, and even for a monocolor token deck that'll always have one, it'll simply be a strong version of the weak cards we're talking about.

I'll take another look at it, though I'm also not married to the flavor here.
>>
File: Virrabell, Orzhova Aspirant.png (300KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Virrabell, Orzhova Aspirant.png
300KB, 375x523px
The original version of this had a strictly negative +1 to balance out the 2 casting cost but I heard nothing but bad things and I'm here for opinions

How does this seem?
>>
>>54571641
Should be "each player loses 1 life", not "one".

Can't speak for the balance. Cards like this should probably get playtested a lot. The way I see it, the ultimate is either useless, annoyingly boring for all players, or gamebreaking. None of those are good.

Most of the time it's a weak walker that dies easily and doesn't do anything a good removal spell does.

Points for originality.
>>
>>54571857
Yeah, modern/standard isn't my natural environment but I imagined her in an Orzhov sacrifice or Mardu aristocrats kinda deck. My specialty is over the top 7 mana EDH cards not trying to balance 2 mana ones.

>doesn't do anything a good removal spell does.

Well it's a conditional, repeatable exile engine. Turn 3 she can exile a bear, I figured tying the ability to her loyalty counters would keep it in check while still being useful early game. Though I guess when the main power of a walker involves interacting with opponents creatures you can't see how good or bad it is until you playtest it.

Also I think I dun goofed pretty hard. The card should be named "Obzedat aspirant", that's the flavor, she wants to be part of the ghost council. "Orzhova" is just a church bank
>>
File: Ambushscale Drake.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ambushscale Drake.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Wondering if this is too pushed
>>
>>54573629
Ignoring that red doesn't usually get small flyers and almost definitely not at common, what is the purpose of the design? On its own it seems like a random combination of things so I'd like some input. Definitely not too strong though, and should probably be a 2/2.
>>
>>54573629
Eh, just make it a 1/1 Goblin or something at 1R with the ETB rummage. There's already a 2/1 Viashino that does the same thing, but at 2R.
>>
>>54574464
I was planning on bumping it up to uncommon, and this is one of the few small flyers they'll actually get.

As for the combination of effects, it's meant to work well with the general mechanics Blue and Black are getting in the set, more specifically other Drakes in each of those colors. The downside on attacking is mainly to allow it to be cheaper so it isn't prohibitive to use for the main etb effect.

>>54574534
I don't have any Goblins running around, but I was tempted to just make it a non-flying Drake. I had a feeling that would go over even worse though.
>>
>>54574584
Well, whatever creature type makes sense. Lizard, Viashino, Dinosaur, Gremlin, whatever.
>>
File: Kirk Langstrom Man-Bat4.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kirk Langstrom Man-Bat4.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Man-Bat again. I'm wondering now if I should change the trigger to
>Whenever a creature you control attacks
or something. Would probably give it a bit more usefulness, even if it means I have to increase the cost.
>>
>>54574584
I think the problem is not that it is pushed, it is rather that the card feels unnatural in a vacuum.

If you want to make it a tribal payoff you can go up in power a bit more, also the card feels like it has a reason to exist.

In this case i would make it
"~ can only attack or block if another Drake is attacking or blocking"(this wording may be incorrect) and make it a 2/2.
>>
>>54574733
Yeah, it is a pretty rough draft of what I'm going for. I mainly wanted to gauge if I could have that effect at 2 cmc on a tiny flier like that.

I may bump it up to a 2/1 so that there's more of a reason to want to swing or block with it, but that aside you're right that I'll probably need to put it on the backburner until I have things more fleshed out.
>>
>>54574709
i dont want to play devils advocate but the card feels almost completely simic with the only thing holding it back being the "bat" creature type.
>>
>>54574836
Ugh, I know. I think I'll change the type to "Mutant Bat" or even just "Mutant" and turn it GU. Or maybe just leave out the type entirely.
>>
>>54574796
>I mainly wanted to gauge if I could have that effect at 2 cmc on a tiny flier like that.

You can. Your card is functional, the powerlevel is decent and all you did doesnt break the colour pie. there are just some more "elegant" ways to go about it. I wouldn't scratch the idea if your grixis drake tribal needs some looting.

On a sidenote, do you know about the existence of baleful strix? i know it is an example of high power but still, your card can easily be a little more powerful if maybe more distinct.
>>
>>54574930
Fair enough. I may still want to wait until I have some of the other details more hammered out to see how useful or necessary it is.

You make a good point with Baleful Strix. While it is a multicolor card and is in the more 'proper' colors, I feel like I can still find a good middle ground here.
>>
>>54574903
just turning it to "mutant" and making it simic would solve the problem but you loose the fluff.
And as bats in magic are 100% mono-black i dont know how fitting it would be in simic colours.

If you dont care about colour restrictions you could make the ability only trigger if you control a swamp/black permanent.

If usability is also one of your concerns id probably really go with the mutant-bat idea.

It is not pretty but a legendary can step out of the line once in a while, I think it is forgiveable.
>>
>>54561206
your are posting your gay ass card every thread only to get the perfect wording? Repost cards you improve or something, or come up with new ideas you fucking dc faggot.
>>
>>54574584
I think I need a little more than that. More specifically, why can't it attack or block alone and why does it loot? I can see mechanical reasons for the latter, but not the former. Does it HAVE to be a mogg flunkies? If not it can lose that and stay 1/1. Otherwise its gotta have higher power imo.
>>
File: The Raven Man.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Raven Man.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54577390
Bird token thing makes me think he's like fantasy Odin.
From a flavor perspective though, this is fucked up (in a good way). Raven Man goes outta his way to help Lili, and the most he EVER does for her is just advise her, never appear in person. Considering planeswalker cards are meant to represent the walker owing you a favor, or wanting to help you, imagine the kind of fucking favor you'd have to have done to get this guy on your side, especially with SIX loyalty.
>>
>>54577390
Plural and possessive are not the same thing.
>>
buuuuump
>>
File: Ring of Bloodlines.png (256KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ring of Bloodlines.png
256KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54577390
It's always a tall order asking players to remember APNAP, but this I like.
>>
File: Eloren Gardener.png (310KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Eloren Gardener.png
310KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Stolen Credit.png (219KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stolen Credit.png
219KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54580366
Seems interesting. Not totally sure on the cost though. Unless... I dunno, maybe give it another ability? Something like
>When ~ enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls for as long as you control ~.
Or is that too good?
>>
>>54580366
>>54580410
Don't add a self enabler, just make it cheaper.
>>
File: THAT3.png (432KB, 759x267px) Image search: [Google]
THAT3.png
432KB, 759x267px
Does anyone have this Space: The Convergence template? I pulled these off of google because the photobucket links are fucked
>>
File: Simian Awakening.png (297KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Simian Awakening.png
297KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Spark in the Dark.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spark in the Dark.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54581361
I'm not sure if that actually works. That would leave the token without a type, and I don't know if it would gain loyalty counters or be able to use any abilities. Haste also seems superfluous.

You'd be better off having it simply copying an ability of a targeted planeswalker, so long as that ability doesn't remove loyalty counters, but even that seems like a pretty niche card. Cycling on it is good for that reason, I suppose.
>>
>>54581412
Presumably by planeswalker types it means things like Koth and Venser, not the "planeswalker" card type.
>>
File: Luck Dragon.png (299KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Luck Dragon.png
299KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Early Bird.png (211KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Early Bird.png
211KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Shorestalker Crocodile.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shorestalker Crocodile.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54582408
Last strike seems a bit odd, but aside from that I think the card is fine.

>>54582452
Good pun, and effect-wise fits well enough as a White card. Might be a bit too easy to trigger though. I could see it racking up a lot of tokens very quickly.
>>
File: The Bane of Reason.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Bane of Reason.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
So just how broken would this guy be as a commander?
>>
non-contributory bump
>>
>>54583713
Probably not too much. He does a lot, though he is rather expensive for all of it.

Menace might be a better inclusuon than Fear as well.
>>
>>54583241

need this art full-size
>>
>>54586279
Not at my desktop, so youll have to wait a while
>>
File: Sliver Overlord.png (1MB, 752x1051px) Image search: [Google]
Sliver Overlord.png
1MB, 752x1051px
So I'm trying to use the hi res modern template in the OP to make some alt-art proxies for my current commanders, but keep getting a weird white stripe above the types in pic related. Is this a known issue, and is there anything I can do to fix it?
>>
File: Thromok the Insatiable.jpg (112KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Thromok the Insatiable.jpg
112KB, 750x1046px
>>54587661
It looks as if image itself is just placed a bit too high in the template, the bottom seems to have the same gap
>>
>>54583713
Not very broken, I think. Maybe abusable with draw triggers, but I think most of the good ones are Izzet. Maybe a few decent ones in blue. Best way I could see using it is using all sorts of colorless specific spells intended for eldrazi and suddenly having them work on everything, but I don't think there's enough of that to really use.
>>
First time in one of these threads. Whipped this up in a few minutes. Rate my first effort.

(Not meant to see general play. Designed for multiplayer games or sideboarding in certain environments)
>>
File: Bastion of Faith.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bastion of Faith.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>54588437
for some reason the file didn't upload
>>
File: Cosmic Resonance.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic Resonance.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>54588455
I'm just gonna post more as I make em.
>>
File: Everlasting Glade.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Everlasting Glade.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
this feels like I'm in danger of breaking the color pie. also the wording of the whole thing feels off. someone give me a pointer?
>>
>>54546708
With real cards like Path to Exile and Sword to Plowshare, plus white removal that's conditional on creature power or toughness like Skywhaler's Shot, Smite the Monstrous and Collective Effort, I think this fits white perfectly fine. 10
>>
>>54588752
Wording wise, you just want 'Regenerate target creature, since Regenerate is something you do to it, rather than something it really has.

Secondly, the color break here would be the ability being played with mono-white. While White does get protection effects and ways to prevent damage, it doesnt usually get regenerate.
>>
>>54588582
I think your wording is off here probably needs to be 'Scry X, where X is the number of colors of mana used to cast ~'

Something feels off about the 'then draw two cards' at the bottom as well, but i can't quite place it.
>>
>>54588772
Hmm...I'd already tried reworking it into being based on power rather than toughness based on the other comments, but it's good to hear I wasnt too off.

Still, it feels like it's a very divisive card.
>>
>>54588871
Hmm, if the only problem is that it's based on toughness, then yeah I'd switch it to power. But I stand by it feels like it'd be in whites wheelhouse.
>>
>>54588814
Okay. That does just sound better in general as well. I was toying with making the cost WG instead but I'm not sure about that... maybe 1G?

>>54588845
I wasn't sure about just having "Draw two cards". Does being lower o the card imply that these things happen in the top to bottom order?
>>
>>54588938
I think WG is better, as it is ratger easily reusable regeneration. Otherwise I would say to bump up the cost a bit if you want it as mono G.

For comparison, most regeneration effects already cost 2 or 3 naturally, and those are on creatures theyre designed for. Making it multicolor helps restrict it a bit more.
>>
>>54588938
It does take that into account. Ponder would be an example I'd point too. Then is more helpful if it's a continuation of the same sentance or line, but would also be placed before the reminder text for Scry.
>>
File: Catacomb Firebrand.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Catacomb Firebrand.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54588920
Yeah. I can sort of see where they're coming from with it, since in many ways it does end up basically being a damage or -3/-3 effect. Still, White does get mostly unconditional exile, along with ones that care about power and toughness, and also effects that deal damage to things attacking or blocking.

It doesn't feel like a big reach from what they usually do, but in the end I don't think there will be a big difference from switching it to power. I think it'll work out fine though, though I may alter the numbers for it depending on what creatures I end up with
>>
>>54589127
Firstly, that card art is already in use by a cinder from Shadowmoor.

Aside from that, the effect seems fine.
>>
File: Everlasting Glade 2.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Everlasting Glade 2.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>54588998
revised version. cleaner, and in line with the pie. thanks my man.
>>
File: Cosmic Resonance 2.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic Resonance 2.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>54589029
experimented around a bit to try and keep the lines of text as manageable as possible.

ended up with this.
>>
File: catacomb firebrand 2.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
catacomb firebrand 2.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>54589164
a shit. I'm basically picking stuff out of my fantasy art folders. I knew I was bound to pick existing card art soon enough.

edited to this until the day i stumble on something im a little happier with.
>>
>>54549089
Very, very flavorful
>>
File: drudge captain.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
drudge captain.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Not happy with the art. Not 100% settled on the effect or P/T yes, but putting this out there to get my almonds activated.
>>
File: Disarming Blast.jpg (106KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Disarming Blast.jpg
106KB, 744x1039px
What do you think is the best way to to portray this? Also have R deal 1 damage that creature cant block, as that simplest version of that is surprisingly not a card yet. Issue is, its supposed to be non lethal and also retaliatory which the R one doesnt feel to me. But it is shooting something so it feels like it should do damage. But everything involving the guns probably feels like it wants to be damage, and probably not everything should.
>>
>>54589456
Well, for starters, that 3 should be a normal 3 when referring to cmc like that.
>>
>>54589484
You could have it be 'prevent all damage that would be dealt by target creature this turn', although that would mean it could get easily blocked and taken out. Might be rather fitting, though to avoid that you could also have it prevent any damage dealt to them as well.
>>
>>54589583
I actually though deal 1 to target attacker or blocker and it deals no damage but funnily enough just "deals no combat damage" by itself didnt occur to me.
>>
>>54589647
Yeah. You could also go with 'tap target creature and remove all equipment attatched to it's for something that would still prevent attacking or blocking and perhaps have a bit of flavorful utility, but that needs to be cast more preemptively.
>>
>>54589556
trying to make it a normal 3 but MSE is fighting me.
>>
>>54589686
I legit can't find a costing for "prevent all damage target creature would deal this turn". The cost seems to be all over the place. It seems to usually do an additional thing. Resistance Fighter does it for 1 but it has to be cast before hand. I guess 1w would be correct for just "prevent all combat damage target creature would deal this turn". But maybe there's a reason these effects usually have somthing else attached to it? I mean it's not usually great but a lot of effects aren't great. Maybe I need something else. Maybe it should deal 1 damage and that would probably let me cost it at 2w. The damage kinda has synergy with this effect anyway.
>>
File: Daylight Burglary.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Daylight Burglary.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
my last 2 brews before I head to work for the night. the second originally flat destroyed something with 4 power or less, but I figured the destroy thing was more black, and damage was for red.
>>
>>54590710
Awe Strike is a card with that effect. I think it phrases it differently due to iy being a replacement effect.

That combined with a cantrip effect could probably get away with being 1 cmc easy.
>>
File: Murderous Intruder.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Murderous Intruder.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>54591085
>>
>>54591085
Damage does not destroy creatures, state based actions do. Having this work for both murder and bolt takes too much text. It's also worthless outside of wraths, and drawing a card on kill is much more black than red.

>>54591109
Strafe. It also compares badly to any number of other red removal.
>>
>>54591109
Damage needs a source
Damage needs a source
Damage needs a source
>>
>>54589690
try ]3[
>>
>>54591087
I dug a little more with a different wording and I think Around 2 is probably correct, but maybe one. The most recent card I could find was Encircling Fissure was a 3 drop but it had Awaken and hit everything. So maybe I can do that for 1. There is actually a can tripping version as well already for 2W though it's an older card and also I think that can be a two for one which I don't think they do at common anymore generally. I dunno.
>>
>>54591536
Not him but Strafe is a sorcery which is a pretty big functional difference. It also doesn't matter if it compares poorly to existing cards as long as the downgrade has a purpose in context, whether flavor or mechanical. and also in context like standard until recently a 2 drop 3 burn spell that hits at instant speed even if it's non red would probably be playable but obviously we don't get that kind of context on a random custom card.
>>
>>54591634
I think either two mana could work just fine in that case.
>>
>>54591675
Well there is no flavor connection and the mechanical importance is highly dubious. This wouldn't see standard play even if it was the only red removal. Red currently has Harness Lightning and Abrade. Both are instant, unrestricted 3 damage, and have additional upside.

The only measure it has worth is that it's common, and only if you subscribe to thought that common removal has to be absolutely terrible for limited.
>>
>>54591822
If I think about it, 2r is about correct for 2 damage to everything, and r is enough for 2 damage to one thing, so probably w prevent all combat damage target creature would deal this turn compares correctly. Feels like an effect that should cantrip but eh. Also feel like it should specifically refer to an attacking or blocking creature but the words are unnecessarily functionally. Maybe it should be "~ deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature. Prevent all combat damage that would dealt by that creature this turn." I don't think I want all gun related things to deal damage, but the damage is functional here as well as flavorful and lets me cost it in a way that seems more obvious.
>>
>>54591900
>like standard until recently
Before KLD the best removal was incendiary flow, which was any target but sorcery speed which is a big hit (and also exiled things but that's a sidegrade option if anything to this card if it were to exist). In other words, I can guarantee you this would have seen play pre-KLD just for the instant speed 3 damage.

I don't know what the flavor intention or mechanical purpose of the nonred is on this so I didn't presume to judge that it was irrelevant. Just wanted to point out to you that going "x is worse than y" is a pointless criticism as not every card, especially at lower rarity, has to be a better or even on rate version of something that already exists as context matters.
>>
>>54592024
Oh also I guess if the guy didn't mean for it to be a generally bad piece of removal but Lightning Strike/Searing Spear has been around for a while so I presumed that it was made worse purposefully, but maybe I was wrong.
>>
File: Architect of Inspiration.png (256KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Architect of Inspiration.png
256KB, 375x523px
>>54591109
Worse Searing Spear? Red needs better DD spells, not worse. Also, damage needs a source.

>>54591085
Needs serious rewording. If you want to keep it red, try:
>Until end of turn, whenever a creature an opponent controls dealt damage by a spell or ability you control this turn dies, draw a card.

Had a weird, probably completely overpowered idea for a card.
>>
>>54592447
BROKEN
R
O
K
E
N
>>
>>54592447
Way too good/cheap because of the second ability. But it seems like you understand this, because you made it mythic.
>>
>>54592447
Second effect doesnt work since you always draw at least 1 card a turn with few exceptions. If you wanted to give all things in hand cycling I'd also cost it 2 instead of 1u but thats just me. 2 is just the base cycling cost so it makes sense to me here.

I remember Mark talking about wanting to do a double cycling in Amonkhet, where you could pitch an additional to draw an additional card, but didnt work out as a full mechanic in Amonkhet. This could do that, though in that order it could still be blue but feels a little more red
>>
>>54592462
>>54592501
How would you cost it?

>>54592548
You don't draw a card on your opponent's turn.
>>
>>54592625
Doesnt change the fact the wording should be "The first time you cycle a card each turn, draw a card." unless the purpose was explicitly so youd get an additional draw only on the opponent's turn of it HAS to work with any draw spell or ability which seems unnecessary as it gives everything cycling anyway, In which case I'd still use that wording with the addition of on each opponent's turn. Also didnt notice, is there a reason this is creature type Mystic?
>>
>>54592704
I suppose I can agree with that wording, though the casting cost needs serious work (no clue what it should be though)
>Mystic
I like using that type for mind-oriented cards. I realize it's a "dead" type attached to another mechanic but since it's been abandoned for the most part, it's basically fair game.
>>
>>54592799
Usually build arounds that trigger when you do something cost 3 or 4. I'd lean towards 4 since this helps it do what it wants indefinitely. could maybe go higher.
>>
>>54592894
Well Archivist straight draws you a card for 2UU on a tap activation so I'm inclined to go 1UU with the casting cost since you have to pay 1U to get the draw+filter on this card. I'm open to debate as to whether that's fair or not but it at least seems like it in a cursory way to me. I did know the original was overpowered but I just wasn't sure by how much.
>>
File: Atlas Colossus.png (264KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Atlas Colossus.png
264KB, 375x523px
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>54593780
How soon is now?

NT: >>54594003

Edition based on >>54592799 bringing up Mystic.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 104

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.