[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG modern general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 48

File: 289.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
289.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
non fag edition

>playing
>hating
>brewing

Also

>favorite card
>favorite set
>favorite lands to use
>>
Beginner here.

My L(F)GS sells packs of

1x every common card from recent sets (HoD, Amonkhet, Revolt, Zendikar, Moon) for about 1,5 dollars.

If i plan to play pauper, are those good deals so i have a good selection or should i just buy singles and build the decks i want?

It seems nice to buy like 3 of each common in the set for 4,5 bucks and have a wide selection
>>
Not beginner, but wanting to try combo for the first time to see if I like it. Cascade has always been a favorite mechanic of mine, should I roll with Living End or Cascabalance?
>>
>>54500763
that's a great deal, most of the cards aren't great, but it's cheap
>>
>>54500763
Buying any sort of pack is a waste imo. Buy the cards you need so you get exactly what you need.
>>
>>54500763
this is not the pauper general. also almost all of those cards will be unplayable trash even in pauper. if you want to have them just to have them then go ahead but remember every card in pauper has to compete with every common since the start of the game for a slot in a deck so there are only a couple cards per set, if that, that fit into these eternal formats.
>>
>>54500763
id reccomend buying singles but if you want to build a stock/collection go right ahead and buy them.

But if you want to get some other cards/mana cards for decks i would recommend a deck builders kit. or if you want to get some of the older cards i would recommend buying a tournament pack on amazon, Mirage, Mirrodin, and odyssey sell for cheap,but you can get some stuff from shadowmoor, kamigawa (Thats the shit set/block) or alara if you want to drop $50+
>>
>>54500901
also ps people really seem to like art done by john avon for some reason
>>
>>54500820
Oh, or Ad Nauseum. Not quite the same as Cascade, but it seems fun
>>
>>54500715
>modern
>non fag

Pick one
>>
>>54500715

So Probe got banned and Infect disappeared? Did the archetype really depend on a single card?
>>
>>54501319
Pretty much
>>
>>54501294
o you XD
>>
>>54501319
It's not fast enough now. Also Fatal Push and Blessed Allaince put nails in it's coffin.
>>
>>54501319
Other cards keep it down as well. Push is the big one that can slide into a lot more decks than Path can.
Probe was the glue that kept the deck together. It let infect players know when they could go for the kill. Now they can't do that without spending mana.
>>
>>54500763
Crap. First thing you learn as a MTG player is that most recent sets are full of crap, even rares, even mythics, all are actually unplayable crap. Some of them are expensive cuz in a shit pile of shit, they are still on top of that shit, and something needs to see Standard play. After rotating nothing even cost more then 50 cent.

Name me something that still sees play that isnt a reprint from the Theros Block and isnt Courser of Kruphix.

If you can get your hands on the modern event deck, thats some nice shit, even if a little expensive.
Otherwise just play draft for half a year until you know if you still want to play mtg and what format. Just ask some guys there if they can lend you a deck to see how it plays and decide from there, what kind of deck is right for you.
>>
>>54501625
>Name me something that still sees play that isnt a reprint from the Theros Block and isnt Courser of Kruphix.
Swiftspear? CoCo? Collective Brutality?
>>
>>54501684
>theros block

Yeah, Khans of Tarkir Block had Swiftspear and Tasigur that still see play. But two cards from three sets? I aint wasting money on those packs unless its for draft. CoCo is more of a meme imo, while Brutality is really good.
>>
>>54501714
There's plenty of cards from recent sets that see play. Don't be stupid and write of current sets because of it. He also mentioned playing Pauper, in which case having all those commons is a brewer's paradise for that format. He'd still need Brainstorms, Bolts, Ponders, Preordains and Counterspells, but a bunch of commons for a few dollars. There's worse ways for someone to get into magic casually.
>>
>>54501714
I misinterpreted what you meant. Coco is hardly a meme though, it's literally archetype defining.

Theros block has Eidelon. Stormbreath is the premier big red threat these days. Theros Elspeth is played in control shells.
>>
>>54501760
I started with theros, so maybe, just maybe Im biased. I dont have any cards from then except my playset of courser. Standard was the worst for me back then. Got wrecked cuz back then I didnt want to invest that much into mtg. and RTR/Theros standard was really tthe worst place to start. Just a year earlier and I would have gotten Shock Duals, that are actually playable. Scry Temple? What a joke compared to them.
Sure, I started at the worst time, and back then I was really excited even about the commons. But looking back now, that was really just wasted money.

So I would say before buying useless bulk, play draft, your opponent wont get to p2w so easily, you still get useless bulk, and maybe, JUST maybe you will even get somethings thats really worth something.
>>
>>54501766
English is not my mother language so maybe I just worded that wrong. Just wanted to exclude thoughtseize without naming it.

Coco ios a meme for me is just because I saw to many people get absurdly bad draws with it, (shit like hitting only lands and chords and cocos twice in a row was just hilarious to watch). Sorry, even if all my creatures are hit, what says I only get like 2 birds from it? I dont like these kind of cards, same reason why I really hated marvel in standard. Being at the mercy of your luck? I just dont like it.
>>
>>54501859
And yeah, totally forgot Eidolon. And Elspeth and Stormbreath are easily overlooked as I dont really see them often. But still, even with those cards, you cant say that like 98% of those are pure shit.
>>
>>54501319
Fatal Push being printed had more to do with that.
>>
>>54501995
Murderous cut, atarka's command, deflecting palm, siege rhino, dig throught time, treasure cruise, ugin, eldrazi mimic, thought knot seer, reality smasher, kalitas, newlamog, nahiri, grim flayer

Still fot 4 sets to go, its like you are not even putting effort into shitposting any more
>>
File: Captureq.png (321KB, 878x751px) Image search: [Google]
Captureq.png
321KB, 878x751px
How meme is this?
>>
>>54502225
Do I really need to name 3 trash tier cards for every one playable card you found i those trash cans? Sure, among all that shit there are some pearls, but open a booster from a recent set? What are the chances you get something playable thats playable in something other then standard? Pretty damm low.
>>
So no one wants to talk about the g/w value town from the scg tourney this weekend. I'm thinking of making the switch from g/w DnT. Coco seems better than vial right now
>>
>>54502398
The guy was asking about buying commons for pauper, you were the one going off on a tangent about there is no playable cards since theros that were not reprints, I answered your question with a sample list of cards that see or saew modern play, he isnt cracking packs for cards he is somply buying commons that has nothing to do with buying packs of standard
>>
Ban Eldrazi Temple
>>
>>54502298
What am I looking at?
>>
>>54503334
A scoop on a t2 blood moon
#simiandidnothingwrong
>>
>>54502398
Breaking news every set has a few modern playable cards in it. Details after our "Mox Opal should be banned" segment.
>>
>>54503455
Thanks Tom.

Now onto our main story. Shocking new evidence that was being kept secret has been brought to light by an anonymous leaker. The evidence points to Mox opal actually being a vintage level card despite the cries of several Opal fanataics. When we asked WotC on whether it is considered bannable now they refused to give us a comment. Our advice to all Opal users would be to sell them now.
>>
>>54503517
>Mox opal actually being a vintage level card
Barely. Outcome is a bad fad deck.
>>
File: M'lady.jpg (157KB, 500x681px) Image search: [Google]
M'lady.jpg
157KB, 500x681px
Trying to get from Standard into Modern until the end of the year and get at least 1 deck together for about as cheap as possible.

Got a playset of every colorless rare Eldrazi from the BFZ block and each of the new titans once each. How cheap would expanding that into a Tron Eldrazi deck be at the minimum?
>>
>>54504258
Just remove Karn and chalice from the avarege lists
>>
>>54504258
Chalice and ugins would be the expensive part. Luckily tron lands aren't exactly fetch/shock expensive
>>
>>54504355
meant karns
>>
>>54503455
>Breaking news every set has a few modern playable cards in it

What about amon khet?
>>
>>54504258
What the other anons said, ignore the Chalices and Karns, cavern of souls can wait too, I believe the most expensive stuff after those are the Eldrazi Temples and the Walking Ballistas.
>>
>>54500820
Cascabalance.
The underdog's deck
>>
>>54504531
Vizier, Rhonas, Vizier of the menagerie, Gideon of the trials, Archfiend of Ifnir, Desert Ceradon, Horror of the broken lands and the cycling lands sort of.
>>
>>54504531
As Foretold can be used.
Pull From Tomorrow is playable at least.
Vizier of Remedies caused a deck to pop up.
Mardu Cycling is a deck that popped up last week.
Aven Mindcensor

Hour of Devastation also had a few, namely
Solemnity
Bontu's Last Reckoning
the Defeat cycle
Nimble Obstructionist
Fraying Sanity is even being used in mill decks

It's not a ton of stuff or format breaking, but there's definitely at least playable cards in every set.
>>
>>54504572
What a shit name, Gargageddon is a classic.
>>
>>54504572
I'm gonna do it
>>
>>54504645
You could use some proliferate cards with As fortold, like tezzerets gambit.
>>
I know this is a modern general but does anyone have any experience with legacy omni-tell? I'm curious how strong it actually is
>>
>>54505110
Divination is not playable.
>>
File: mountain (295).jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
mountain (295).jpg
53KB, 312x445px
>>54500715
>>favorite card
Norin the Wary

>>favorite set
Time Spiral, motherfucker.

>>favorite lands to use
Pic fucking related.
>>
File: 1482257429989.jpg (139KB, 500x718px) Image search: [Google]
1482257429989.jpg
139KB, 500x718px
>>54505791
>>favorite card
Norin the Wary

me too, still trying to make the deck not terrible.

Do you have any secret tech I could try?
>>
>>54505983
Play a better deck? Don't care about winning? Cry a lot between rounds?

Honestly, no. I've done a ton of experimentation and the deck just has a few core issues that you can't really get around, namely that it isn't fast at all and folds to combo (and Tron) pretty hard. I'm on Mardu right now (for Dark Confidant) and while it out-grinds literally anything I've played against, it just cannot beat a combo deck. It's a key weakness and if your meta is suffused with combo, you're just fucked, mate.

The only case where this is untrue is against Ad Nauseum, which randomly gets hosed by Leyline out of the board and Paths in the main for LabMan. It is also possible to gain enough life that you are outside their maximum theoretical burn range, which I've done once and was very amusing to watch them figure out.
>>
>>54500715
>>playing
Abzan
>>hating
my own deck
>>brewing
Esper Death Shadows Worship

Are there any mainboard cards that can actually get rid of Worship?
>>
>>54506194
Cryptic Command
Lots of Tron shit
Company decks often run Qasali Pridemage or Reclamation Sage
BGx will often run a single Maelstrom Pulse main
Esper Charm
>>
>>54505983
>Do you have any secret tech I could try?
I tried Saltskitter. It was dead card 90% of the time and win-more 10% of the time.
>>
>>54506253
Tron will always be my bane it seems, but I'll be mainboarding 4x ghost quarter at the least. I'm hoping that with Path, Thoughtseize, and Dismember I can beat Company just by smacking them with 12/12s
>>
Standardfag here. I want to get into modern, where should I start? I have a boner for affinity and abzan but dunno if it's possible to get a less expensive version of it. Any recommendations?
>>
>>54507058
>Any recommendations?
Stop being poor.
>>
>>54507058
Go beat up your fellow Wendy's chefs for their pay and then buy whatever deck you want.
>>
>>54507249
>>54507232
thx
>>
File: 1472623922596.png (89KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1472623922596.png
89KB, 320x287px
>>54500715
>modern at lgs
>dude's girlfriend (wife maybe? didn't ask) looks like my ex who died of a heroin overdose about 9 years ago. fucking doppelganger shit.
>he's a local regular, she just started coming when they moved back to the area
>keep tripping out on her to the point where my brain says 'you need to stop looking at that girl, retard. she's not catherine'
>concede match, drop, go home
i don't like this feel, boyos.
>>
>>54507356
Nice blog dumb namefag where do I unsubscribe?
>>
File: 1481899838773.jpg (16KB, 262x263px) Image search: [Google]
1481899838773.jpg
16KB, 262x263px
>>54507406
>where do I unsubscribe?
the unsub button is next to your girlfriend's g-spot, which is probably why you haven't been able to hit it.
>>
File: 1420492125997.jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1420492125997.jpg
63KB, 480x480px
>tfw going below Fatal Push with aristocrats/tokens
>tfw going above Fatal Push with midrange goodstuff
>tfw dodging it completely with Bogles
>>
>>54503455
Nah opal is fine. There isnt enough artifacts to make it pop t1 reliably, and anyone can play chalice for 0 and totaly hose you.
>>
>>54507058
You're gonna need to spend the money for a modern deck, but you can cut some cards. Like 3 ravangers instead of the 4 for example. Also play affinity. Affinity has always been a tier 1 deck and looks super fun to play to boot.
>>
File: 1335999582512.jpg (29KB, 528x543px) Image search: [Google]
1335999582512.jpg
29KB, 528x543px
>>54507443
>>
File: maximum value.jpg (19KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
maximum value.jpg
19KB, 350x263px
>>54507991
>tfw running Tragic Slip in aristocrats
>>
>playing

mono red burn

>hating

Wizards of the Coast

>Brewing

My commander deck because burn is unplayable now that 3 mana win the game is available now against burn.

>Favorite card

Browbeat. It's such a cool design, and I'm disappointed that Wizards hasn't used the "punisher" mechanic more.

>Favorite set

Right now, Shadows over Innistrad. I loved the theme, and while it was only ok in terms of gameplay, I still really enjoyed it. A close second is Khans. That was some of the most fun I had drafting.

>Favorite lands

Every single land, as long as they don't have the same art.
>>
I'm currently playing affinity without ravagers, moxes and only one inkmoth. Which should i buy first?

I'm running frogmites, 4 memnites, 18 lands and have 7 flex slots. It hurts
>>
>>54509338
inkmoth, those things do work
>>
>>54509338
All of them
>>
>>54509301
You think oketra's whatever really hoses burn completely?
>Right now, Shadows over Innistrad. I loved the theme
Oh I get it you're retarded
>>
>>54509549
I know this is 4chan but please tell me why I'm wrong instead of just calling me names.
>>
>>54509581
Not the namecaller Anon, but Oketras is a sideboard card for heavy white mana decks, which means that you could be siding in 4 Skullcracks, any number of Flames of the Bloodhand, Leyline of Punishment if you have Soul Sisters in your meta.
If you have the proper tools, they'll spend 3 mana getting slapped by a Skullcrack and their lands won't untap.
The card's good out of the sideboard, but so are yours.
>>
>>54509782
What about Life goes On?
>>
>>54509813
You should stick to standard
>>
>>54509837
I've never played standard.
>>
>>54509581
name calling anon here, >>54509782 did the work for me. A sideboard card, for one of the least played colors in modern, does not invalidate a T1 deck. But if you think so, id take those goblin guides off you
>>
>>54500955
>for some reason
>>
>>54509923
The sad thing is that I can't even afford any Goblin Guides. What are your thoughts on Life Goes on, the green card?
>>
Is Thought-Knot Seer a good card if I'm not getting the CMC discounted?
>>
>>54509994
It's shit in modern like 99% of the cards in set
>>
>>54510067
As in worth it at 4 mana? Is a 4/4 with thoughtseize worth it at 4?
>>
>>54505983
I don't see how many people struggle so badly while playing Norin Sisters...
I run a variant of it at my LGS which is full of control and GDS and I still manage to prize pretty much every time.
>>
File: mm31_unhingedLands.jpg (64KB, 620x436px) Image search: [Google]
mm31_unhingedLands.jpg
64KB, 620x436px
>>54500715
>Playing
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/infinite-combo-norin-sisters/
I'll stop playing it when it fails me especially hard
>Hating
Tron and the Vizier combo, neither of which are going to be banned most likely
>Brewing
A shitbrew standard deck but this is modern so who fucking cares

>Favorite Card
Norin
>Favorite Set
Innistrad or Zendikar
>Favorite Lands
Unhinged
>>
>>54500715
My friend keeps raping me using a "Goblin spawning" enchant"
Is there any counter to that?
>>
>>54510371
there are spells that destroy enchantments, yes
>>
>>54510371
Play Jund
>>
>>54510398
Im using a greendeck.
>>
>>54510470
naturalize is the go-to green enchantment hate card
>>
>>54510513
What is sundering growth?
>>
>>54501951
Yeah but when you build a CoCo deck properly you aren't using it to find crappy combo pieces. The look on an opponent's face when a CoCo resolves and hits two Knight of the reliquary? Or when you CoCo in response and hit spell queller? Priceless
>>
>>54510470
Try Naturalize, Sundering Growth, Krosan Grip, Reclamation Sage, Nature's Claim, or Natural State.
>>
>>54510576
an additional mana restriction for an additional effect that isn't always useful
>>
>54500715
>playing
Merfolk, Utron, trying burn a bit
>hating
Vizier combo, scapeshift, and fucking living end
>brewing
commander and copters in merfolk

Also
>favorite card
Mindslaver, I've won some great games with the lock in utron
>favorite set
I don't really have one, zendikar might be my favorite plane in general
>favorite lands to use
Any full arts, if wizards would print one more I'll have all full arts of different prints for merfolk. But particularly unhinged island. Shit is good looking in person
>>
>54510623
I actually forgot naturalize was 2 mana too
>>
>>54510678
Hello, i am dumb poster everybody laugh at me
>>
File: 1493609209862.jpg (63KB, 817x857px) Image search: [Google]
1493609209862.jpg
63KB, 817x857px
>>54510754
>>
>>54504645
>Mardu Cycling

Tell me about this meme
>>
>>54504645
>Fraying Sanity is even being used in mill decks
What exactly is wrong with mill players?
Why are they so insistent on their meme decks?
Do they believe that eventually there will be enough mill cards to make a decent deck?
>>
>>54510861
Channel Fireball just posted a Modern Monday vid for it.
>>
What kind of deck should I play at a modern PPTQ?

Was kind of thinking of playing KCI Combo since in most of my test games people seemed to be unfamiliar with playing against it and I feel like my list is pretty good.
>>
>>54511175
Burn, as it is the most honest deck.
>>
>>54510960
Fraying Sanity is a boost to the decks power
>Turn 1 Hedron Crab
>Turn 2 Fetchland mill for 6, Glimpse mill for 10, 23 total cards milled or drawn if opp didnt mull
>Turn 3 Fetch mill 6 more, Fraying Sanity
>Turn 4 Glimpse and win or another crab fetch land win
>>
File: 1479096544968.jpg (92KB, 607x537px) Image search: [Google]
1479096544968.jpg
92KB, 607x537px
I'm not really sure if this question is apropriate here but I didn't want to start a brand new thread just for it.

Are the ally and enemy wedges forever going to be only related to Naya, Bant, Jeskai, Mardu, etc? Or is there a possibility we could see them called by other names if some event were to unfold, like say the next time we see Ravnica, guilds have partnered up even closer than what we saw in the fusion split cards, and Dimir and Rakdos become pseudo grixis?

Also to keep it appropriate, does it matter what version of Scalding Tarn I pick up in the long run? Right now they're both the same price but in the long run would the original Zendikar copies be worth more?
>>
>>54511221
I didn't actually mean to question Fraying Sanity's inclusion in mill decks (it makes sense), I was questioning the sanity of mill players.
>>
>>54511232
No, it's not the appropriate place to ask. You should have started your own thread, but I'll be nice and answer to the beat of my abilities anyway.

>Are the ally and enemy wedges forever going to be only related to Naya, Bant, Jeskai, Mardu, etc?
Maybe, maybe not. There's nothing stopping WotC from doing whatever they want, but they're always hesitant to make 3 color sets like Khans and Alara. Who knows.

>blag, blah stuff about Ravnica
Who knows? Anything is possible.

>does it matter what version of Scalding Tarn I pick up in the long run?
Probably not. If you're a collector, go with what you want. If you just want to play, go for what's cheap.
>>
>>54509429
Are they really worth it without ravagers?
>>
>>54511434
Is anything?
>>
>>54511142
I saw it, looks fun, but why the hell isn't it playing more K Commands
>>
>>54511600
No idea. I also have no idea why the deck doesn't play 1 or 2 white sources. I mean, there has to be games where casting Lingering Souls -> flashback Lingering Souls is a game winning play. I think i might pick up the deck and make some tweaks.
>>
File: 1497034999748.jpg (88KB, 799x782px) Image search: [Google]
1497034999748.jpg
88KB, 799x782px
>>54511175
Why is KCI so expensive?
>>
>>54511736
>mox opals
>EE
>Emrakul
>glimmervoid
>lots of pricy uncommons like star and ancient stirrings
>>
>>54511630
One Godless Shrine at least seems kinda free.
>>
>playing
Orzhov Exalted
>hating
U/W control
>brewing
RDW after refusing to use red since I learned the game 12 years ago
Also
>favorite card
Master Transmuter with Krenko as a very close 2nd
>favorite set
Original Mirrodin or Khans
>favorite lands to use
All enemy fastlands or Korhaven
>>
>>54511837
Pretty much what I was thinking. I'm going to go over the list tomorrow, see what I come up with. Maybe I'll post my changes.
>>
>>54511901
I wonder if Reckless Wurm or Bloodhall Priest would be better than the Voldaren Pariah
>>
>>54511819
Don't forget Grove of the Burnwillows.
>>
File: 33.png (120KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
33.png
120KB, 223x311px
>>54500715
>>playing
Skred
>>hating
Esper control
>>brewing
alt color skreds, rakdos looking like the most attractive option.
also optimizing ponza list
Also
>>favorite card
aetherflux reserovir
>>favorite set
con2, if only green and blue were colors that actually mattered
>>favorite lands to use
i have foil peel alters made with this and the wrangle art from aether revolt
>>
>>54511736
It was like a dollar a couple months ago. One printing; some faggot decides to buy it all.

It's used in a Wellspring/Eggs into Open the Vaults combo to cast Emrakul.
>>
>>54512855
KCI has been at ~9 for a year.
>>
>>54513007
Okay. Sure.

I don't have much to add to that. Wizards doesn't give a fuck and it's going to be there for a while.
>>
>>54512782
I don't run Groves in my list

I don't see much of a point to it
>>
File: 1466392607696.png (17KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
1466392607696.png
17KB, 370x370px
>>54510131
nope. 4 mana needs to win the game on the spot.
>>
File: 1442893425616.jpg (43KB, 720x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442893425616.jpg
43KB, 720x600px
>>54510131
>playing thoughtseize at all
>spending 1 mana and not winning on the spot
>>
File: thalia.jpg (683KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
thalia.jpg
683KB, 1280x960px
>>54500715
>>playing
X & taxes
>>hating
modern, as a format. i actually scooped game 1 round 2, dropped and went to ride bikes today.
>>brewing
not really
>>favorite card
thalia
>>favorite set
HOMELANDS
>>favorite lands to use
apac plains
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 265x370px
Im just gonna leave this here...
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 223x310px
>>54513573
>Oh whoops you discarded literally your entire deck
>>
File: 34698_200w.jpg (27KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
34698_200w.jpg
27KB, 200x285px
>>54513592
Did I?
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 200x285px
>>54513653
Yeah, you did.
>>
File: 100.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>54511232
Everyone point and laugh at this cretinous modern player who thinks the game begins at 8th!
Nothing stops them from coming up with new names and themes for tri colors.
>>
>>54513573
>>54513592
Old and obvious news. Also not >LITTERRALLY XD if they have odd number of cards in deck.
>>
File: 1482420100166.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482420100166.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>land, go
>land, go
>mana leak
>serum visions, land, go
>supreme verdict, land, go
>land, gideon jura, up, go
>land, elspeth, sun's champion, up, go

how can other decks even compete? this sequence is unbeatable for every fair deck in the format. you can go from 40/60 to 80/20 against combo post-board as well.
>>
>>54514207
>if control draws the right answers, they win
What an amazing discovery, death and taxes guy, I know it's you, faggot, because you use that same fucking fry reaction image all the damn time You should get a Nobel prize.
>>
Is there a any fun Selesnya beatdown deck up there?

Wanted to make more fun oriented deck to play with friends, who don't want to spend and I quote "bazillion of bucks on a deck".
I can play using my Storm, Tron or Sultai Delver but it's not fun curbstomping them.
>>
>>54514428
Just build White Weenie or Mono G Stompy or some other cheap aggro deck.
>>
>>54514428
Wilt-Leaf Liege + every GW beatstick sounds like what you're looking for. Fun and competitiveness not guaranteed.
>>
>>54514472
I was thinking using Fleecemanes, Renegade Rallier for that added value and maybe Scoozes.
Wilt-Leaf Liege is a good idead too.
>>
does anyone ever just keep a binder of every land ever? Just stroll up to the card shop and buy ~18 land cards every expansion?
>>
>>54514605
I have a binder with a playset of each shock and fetch. They aren't the OG versions though, so it isn't all that impressive.
>>
>>54514498
I'm saying Wilt-Leaf Liege is already an established archetype, Little Kid Beatdown.
Renegade Rallier is probably playable but if I wanted to go more top heavy I'd just go junk for Siege Rhino and Thoughtseize.
>>
I wish they would print some new burn tech. Last spell we got that was even remotely good was like 3 years ago
>>
>>54514832
But Timmy doesn't like when you have the option to hurt him for 3 damage directly without putting an even bigger creature than his on the board so we can't have that
>>
>>54514832
On the one hand, I like changes in Burn because it can keep the deck fresh. On the other, Burn is probably at the right power level; any stronger and it might get opressive, any weaker and it wouldn't police the format like it needs to. It's such a wierd spot, but i like it.
>>
Is grixis shadow pretty much perfected or is there room for it to be tweaked? Because looking at deck lists they are almost all the same and only variance comes to sideboard.
>>
>>54514913
>Because looking at deck lists they are almost all the same and only variance comes to sideboard.
That's mostly because the majority of people playing the deck just copied it off of mtgtop8 just like they did when twin was legal.
>>
>>54514913
Personally I'm currently testing a two-off claim//fame, not sure how I like it tho.
>>
>>54515061
But what I mean is can the deck benefit from things like Garza's Assassin, Sangrophage, Volcano Hellion, Claim//Senpaitachi or so those ruin it's already good consistency?
>>
I need a new modem deck. I want to do it around a new card. I'm thinking bonepicker, but I'm unsure of the colors or theme.
>>
Can anyone think of a card in B or W that isn't played much but can just ruin some people's days?
>>
>>54515573
White is mana tithe.
>>
>>54514428
Bogles
>>
File: island-d-37800-medium.jpg (49KB, 281x401px) Image search: [Google]
island-d-37800-medium.jpg
49KB, 281x401px
I'm still playing U/R delver after 3 years with the deck, I tried grixis but it's no fun
I added a Nimble Obstructionist from the new set to hate on fetchlands and more importantly eldrazi tron triggers, since I usually don't care about the bodies
Also best basic lands are from Mirage
>>
File: 1468538062626.jpg (8KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
1468538062626.jpg
8KB, 209x241px
>>54500820
>Not playing Storm
Kill Yourself
>>
>>54515796
>fun
>>
>>54500715
There any esper control fags on? i wanna join in on the control fun, do you guys have any decklists to share?
>>
>playing
Ponca
>hating
That I can't find a combo deck that speaks to me
>brewing
Legacy decks

Opinions on madcap/emperion in ponza? Nevery played it before, I'm going to try it tonight to shake things up a bit. Normally I like my ponza wincons to be reliable, low variance, and reasonable against a swath of decks rather than high variance haymakers against certain decks.
>>
>>54516984
>>brewing
>Legacy decks

Man I keep thinking about starting up a Legacy General because I want some feedback on this fun and spicy mono-blue Ankh of Mishra/Parallax Tide deck.
>>
>>54517299
There was a legacy general for a while but it struggled to stay active and there hasn't been one in weeks
>>
>>54513573
Aww, how cute...
Another person trying to rationalize mill as a valid archetype
It's not gonna happen, buddy
>>
>>54517511

Well, it was either stay active via shitposting (What the Modern General does) or fade away into the night, good reputation intact.

I can't particularly blame them for choosing what they did.

What I don't understand is how the EDH general seems to be so active all the time. It's a casual format. What is there to possibly discuss?
>>
>>54517655
Because it's a casual format, you can go nuts and make millions of fucking decks because you're not generally worried about tiered matchups.

Even if there's a tryhard Breya in your playgroup, you just gang up on him.

Personally, I play Macar Vehicles.
>>
>playing against some sperg
>declare my attackers and look up at him
>he impatiently says "can I block?"
>i just stare at him and say "uh, if you want?"
>>
>>54517299
I've finally gotten around to doing something with the corpse of Miracles, and it's UW Stoneblade.
>>
My Brother on Law got some junk cards in the lgs for a retarded kitchen table list from a dumbass Youtuber.
It's mono Red DragonTribal, it somehow managed to get Darksteel forge in the deck, just to fling it's CMC after it was hardcasted.
I'm talked him into giving me the forge and Coldsteel Heart for my EDH decks. But in return I'll make his deck at least playable. I'm thinking on getting him Iron Myrs for Ramp, Whipflares, Draconic Roars and some Thunderbreak Regent.
Any ideas on how to make it completely and unsalvage garbage?
>>
>>54519109
Well we would need a list first.
>>
>>54519109
Yeah, we need a list. Without that, I think you can do something like Skred. Skred, Bolt, Anger of the Gods, Thunderbreak and Stormbreath Dragons. It would be playable at the very least.
>>
>>54513592
How traumatizing
>>
>>54519186
My Planned list for him so far:
-4x Iron Myr
-4x Draconic Roar
-4x Wipflare
-4x Thunderbreak Regent
-3x Palladium Myr
-4x Scourge of Valkas
-4x Archwing Dragon
-4x Dragon Tempest
-3x Spawn of Thraxes
-3x Geosurge
-19x Mountains
-4x Crucible of the Spirit Dragon

Probably would work better with Chalice and Blood Moon. But he can't afford any of it.
>>
>>54519355
the original list?
>>
>>54519109

>competitive
>I was thinking about getting iron myrs for ramp
>modern
>mono Red DragonTribal
>somehow managed to get Darksteel forge in the deck
jesus, what a clusterfuck.

You have to give a list to know what's good, and what other garbage you're trying to suggest. I honestly suggest he skips the dragon theme and just goes mono red aggro or RG zoo/burn, because dragons suck in modern. He could do it pretty cheap, hazoret the fervent enables t4 kills for pretty much any aggro deck, which is good enough for modern with a bit of interaction, which you can still run bolts, searing bloods, experiment one/emissary type stuff, probably not nacatl unless you want naya. Don't necessarily need green but it'd be harder to be competitive.

Basically, mono red dragons is a pipe dream in modern and no dragon support will make it competitive. Maybe he could use slumbering dragon in the brew though for funsies with the right support.
>>
>>54519355
No dragonlord's servant?
Seems like an auto-include in a janky dragon deck
>>
File: FB_IMG_1501005797787.jpg (135KB, 1079x1087px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1501005797787.jpg
135KB, 1079x1087px
lads should I make human company or todds GW company deck? they cost the same to build for me
>>
File: IMG-20170723-WA0029.jpg (700KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170723-WA0029.jpg
700KB, 1456x2592px
>>54519373
>>
File: Y6yG7Zh.jpg (65KB, 558x344px) Image search: [Google]
Y6yG7Zh.jpg
65KB, 558x344px
>>54519525
>can't see anything due to blurry picture
>mexican chip dip in background
>>
>>54519525

That's so cute, I love durdly kitchen table brews where the expectation is that games will go to turn 10 or longer because nobody has good cards <3 reminds me of high school
>>
>>54519541
I see a Shivan dragon, forgestoaker, Guild Feud, Street Spasm, hoarding Dragon, The one dragon from Scars... can't quite tell what the rest are though.
>>
>>54519525
>those sleeves

Ew.
>>
>>54519557

And realistically, it's not like the cards themselves are bad choices.. if you told me that was the start of a commander deck I'd say it's fine. But for competitive modern, it's not on the right page, because it makes some inaccurate assumptions about the game. In modern, the meta is that you either need to interact with your (competent) opponent on the first 3 turns, or they will be able to, with a very high degree of certainty, kill you on 4. Some try to kill on 3 but are more vulnerable to interaction. This dragon deck will have 3 6 drops, 3 land, and a Myr as a good hand, and that hand does nothing for 4 turns and loses to bolt.
>>
Can't go better than 2-2 at FNM. I feel like I'm making mistakes in real life that aren't being punished when I'm playing on Xmage (where my winrate is fucking absurd and I'm like 1600+ typically). I've only been playing for a month or so at this point. How do you guys go back and figure out your mistakes? In a game with a ton of decisions it's hard to parse which ones mattered.
>>
>>54519731
I take notes in short hand for each of my games, then go back and review. I try to get cards seen, cards played, which turns, etc. Occasionally with my friends, we'll play with hands revealed and talk out our plays, why one line is better than another, what each of us would do differently, etc.

You need to take notes or record your games somehow, and then review with at least one other pair of eyes to get a fresh perspective. It's work, but rewarding.
>>
>>54519808

Where do I get friends like this? I only play online because all of my friends are casual players and I'm too nervous to go by myself.
>>
Noob question:

When I look at other people's decks for inspiration, I often see an abundant use of named lands. Even if it doesnt seem like its worth it, and you could just have a basic land instead.

So is there some tactical advantage I do not know about by using as many named lands as possible?
>>
>>54519808
I've done this but I really only have experience vs the few decks my friends play. Maybe I'll print out some of those proxies with different decks on them.

I should definitely look into recording my play somehow. Thanks for that tip.
>>
>>54519866
Yes, those lands have various extra effects. Most can somehow deliver multiple colors of mana at some cost while others have spell like abillities.

Most decks cannot function without the right and expensive land base.
>>
>>54519516
pls respond
>>
>>54519866
By named land do you mean dual lands and pain lands like sacred foundry and shivan reef?
>>
>>54519860
I got them from playing D&D and Commander. They're pretty good players, so I can hand them a proxy deck and they help me out. I suggest going to the lgs and just asking. Lots of people are willing to help out.

>>54519892
Proxies are definitely the way to go when practicing. Print them yourself, sleeve them up and play some games.
>>
>>54519926
>>54519958
I'm looking at decks like these
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/budget-modern/763799-bant-exalted
and
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rafiq-and-friends-17-11-13-1/

And they use many named lands (as in, non-basic lands), and most of the time I believe you would be better off by either using an ordinary basic land, or something even better, like in these two decks' case "seaside citadel" for example.

I was just wondering, since I often see usage of named/non-basic lands, that their usage went beyond their abilities and into some meta tactic of sorts.
>>
>>54519954
It's cliche but probably whatever one is more fun to pilot for you. I can't imagine one is going to grossly outperform the other in the long run. It spiked at SCG but Excavator is essentially a day 1 card, if it's as good as it is people will adapt.
>>
>>54520023
In a 3 color deck like that you need to have access to all 3 of your colors, and on a budget Seaside Citadel will allow you that consistently without paying for Fetches and Shocks.
>>
What's the best list for Skred at the moment?
>>
File: soi-281a-westvale-abbey.jpg (228KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
soi-281a-westvale-abbey.jpg
228KB, 672x936px
Is this useful in modern? I might try and salvage what I can from my standard deck into BW tokens or aristocrats or whatever
>>
>>54520164
>Playing a bad deck
>Asking for a good list
Just play Burn if you want to go monored
>>
>>54520261
mono red burn is worse than skred lmfao
>>
>>54520347
you know more about shit decks than i do
>>
>>54520217
A local has been playing BW Gideon tribal with Lilly and Heart of Kiran with one copy of this. He was fucking people's asses at our Modern Monday yesterday. Even with my Ponza having a good matchup against him he pulled it out, winning one game with an Ormendahl when nothing else could've gotten through for enough.
>>
>>54520492

How did he trigger it? Just with lingering souls and gideon tokens?
>>
what decks does Lili, last hope slot into? I'm going to get 2 copies when she rotates because I like the card
>>
>>54520541
And some clerics.
>>
>>54520546
Nothing, you got meme'd
>>
>>54520546
People slot her in to any midrangey Black deck.
>>
>testing out new Rakdos control deck
>opponent is a filthy BR playing Faeries
>drop a moon on turn 2
>he plays nothing for 3 truns
>turn 5 I end step bolt him
>in response he casts Spellstutter Sprite
>K-Command in response killing sprite and making him discard
>he up and quits the game right there
Delicious monkey tears
>>
>>54520546
Death's Shadow, but most DS decks only play one
>>
>>54520023
Three color decks in modern usually require acces to all three of their colors on turn two so that they have the option to cast any of their spells. To do so reliably you need a lot of non-basic lands.
You can do the math by comparing the number of sources for each color to the cards in the deck.
At 8/8/8 sources you're chances aren't in your favor, but adding more lands means you won't draw enough cards that actually do something. So with dual lands you can have 10/10/10 sources without having more lands in the deck.

>>54520217
Currently trying it in B/W Eldrazi to back up Souls and Kalitas. Doesn't get used too often because I usually have better options than to flashback souls, but it doesn't hurt much and is a mana sink once in a blue moon.

But in a dedicated token deck it might even be worth a 2-of. You got a good chance of finishg with it or doding that top-deck mass-removal that would have otherwise turned the game.
>>
File: 83316.full.jpg (179KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
83316.full.jpg
179KB, 480x680px
>>54500715
Holy shit, there are a lot of variants to the urza lands art.
what are the better looking ones?
>>
>>54522384
All of them!
>>
>>54522495
There any in spesifics with better art than others? i dont want to buy the urzas mine with the weird mouth on it knowing theres different ones that look better
>>
>>54520164
In general, some variation of https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-red-38972#paper

The deck has quite a few flex spots though. The Magma Jets could be other removal (Dismember, Roast, Pyrite Spellbomb) or more Sweltering Suns. You could add another land or another Relic of Progenitus. Fourth Stormbreath could be replaced with another big dude for diversifying your threats, like Hazoret or Batterskull. Eternal Scourge is the best 3 drop but Rabblemaster and Boros Reckoner could be more useful depending on the meta.
>>
File: 190237217.jpg (308KB, 682x948px) Image search: [Google]
190237217.jpg
308KB, 682x948px
>>54522568
Get the antiques or chronicles season set
>>
>>54522384
I have a full playset of 9th ed Tron Lands and a mismatched set of Antiquities to trigger my opponnents
>>
File: No fun allowed.png (2MB, 1147x926px) Image search: [Google]
No fun allowed.png
2MB, 1147x926px
Need some feedback on my Sun and Moon shitbrew.

Basically, I took out the Nahiri combo and a few other cards to slam x4 bridges, some rituals andsome lootings to make the deck more consistent. The win condition is Chandra/Ajani.

Thoughts ?
>>
>>54516390
>playing storm
Take your own advice
>>
>>54523720
I use missmatched fifth edition and one random eighth edition mine.

Tho I think that stupid mine annoys me more than my opponents.
>>
>>54521520
>playing Martyr of frost. Dec
>opponent on mono green ramp
>gets the nut t1 arbor elf t2 utopia sprawl, Garruk untap over growth
>next turn spews the rest of his hand and makes a fuck huge genesis wave
>commandeer
>hit master of waves with 10ish devotion and two on board counterspells
>huehue has disconnected
>>
>>54524740
>Playing UB Thoptersword
>Opponent is on Burn
>I played Watery Grave tapped on the play
>He goes Mountain into Guide, flips Breeding Pool
>I untap, drop a land and play Collective Brutality pitching the land he gave me and another card to cast all 3 modes
This card is so gas vs Guide decks, and it can even let me dump my hand to get under a Bridge.
>>
>>54513573
>>54513592

>2 card combo
>one of which is 3UU

Back to standard.
>>
>>54526151
to be fair, that combo works pretty well for edh
>>
>>54500715

>playing
WB Eldrazi

>hating
Ad Nauseam

>brewing
Nothing

>favorite card
Anafenza, the Foremost

>favorite set
Lorwin//Shadowmoor

>favorite lands to use
Rebecca Guay's Commander 16 lands.
>>
>>54523830
Bumpin'
>>
File: BloodCrypt_print.jpg (110KB, 602x400px) Image search: [Google]
BloodCrypt_print.jpg
110KB, 602x400px
>>54505791
>>54515879
>>54500715
yall are posting some of my actual favorite basics. doug shuler island is literally the most beautiful island in the game.

>>54520164
i think full on chalice/bridge/moon prison is better than skred atm

>>54519866
goldfish or test the list and the land choices should become apparent

>>54516390
isn't storm kind of lame in modern?

>>54523830
>looting in a chalice, RIP deck
just use tormenting voice
>>
>>54523830
You might want an alt-wincon in the 75 that doesn't lose to Pithing Needle or Revoker. Stormbreath Dragon maybe?
>>
Can I get some thoughts on this?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/worship-deaths-shadow/

I'm not entirely sure how it'll work when it actually starts getting playtested. The strategy is pretty straight forward, drop a creature on 2, do something on 3, worship on 4, become immortal as I beat them down with 12/12 death's shadows
>>
>>54527240
Flashback on Loot dodges Chalice and the entire point of Loot is to find Chalice in the first place if it's not in my opening hand. I feel it's way better than Voice.

>>54527290
The problem is that Stormbreath can't attack with a Bridge up, same as Emy. Also it's unlikely the opponent draws two pithing needles while avoiding Chalice on 1. I might try to fit in one more Walker, Koth maybe ?
>>
>>54527356
I think you should get a way to not get assfucked by a Turn 2 moon
>>
>>54527385
Do you have a recommendation? I also don't have an out against Lantern
>>
>>54527365
>Flashback on Loot dodges Chalice
since when? The card's CMC is unchanged, you are just using an alternate casting cost
>>
>>54527365
>Flashback on Loot dodges Chalice
No it doesn't
>>
>>54527412
A single plains, and fragmentize in the SB?
>>
>>54527412
What he meant is get some more basics in your deck. Something like 2 plains and maybe 1 more swamp.

>>54527415
>>54527427
Shit, I thought it became CMC 3 when Flashbacked.

Well, Tormenting Voice it is then
>>
>>54527473
The hesitation is about how badly I need Blinkmoth and Ghost Quarter. Ghost Quarter is to slow down Tron from just slamming ulamog on my face, as well as Valkutitan from actually just burning me out, while Blinkmoth is to instant speed get a creature.

I'll keep it in mind. Fragmentize has been added to my board.
>>
>>54527356
I would replace Thought Knot with either a playset of Bobs or Street Wraiths. Splashing "colorless" just for it isn't worth it, especially since you don't have Eldrazi Temple.
>>
>>54527610
you've got the horse and carriage backwards. ThoughtKnot is to take advantage of needing Ghost Quarters and Blinkmoths, not the other way around.

Also, Bob would make me lose.
>>
>>54527705
Worship prevents all damage, not only damage from your opponent's. Bob can't kill you with Worship in play.

If what you seek is hand hate on a stick, I would suggest Skuller instead of Thought Knot, because if you can't accelerate it, he's not really worth it.
>>
>>54527798
anon, loss of life is not damage, and Tidehollow doesn't actually get rid of their answer to Worship.
>>
>>54527798
>Bob can't kill you with Worship in play
Wrong loss of life gets around worship

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83338
>>
>>54527473
Your list actually looks really decent, and imho looting effects aren't really needed but are quite nice for when you have redundant lock pieces in hand. There might be a creative way to incorperate that into the deck (a Hazoret maybe?), but Faithless is probably not worth running and Tormenting seems weird in a deck with Bridge, and may even nonbo in fringe scenarios; but both are good cards.

I'd like to see the Cast Out mainboard as additional hard removal, maybe even a Journey to Nowhere. Lately in decks with 3 Anger of the Gods, I've been swapping one of them for a Sweltering Suns as a light hedge vs creatureless strategies.

A single Assemble the Legion is also a nice spicy little wincon that's difficult to answer and can sneak under Bridge.

Anyways hope there's a nugget in this wall of text, good luck duder
>>
File: mountain-apac_red.png (300KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mountain-apac_red.png
300KB, 500x500px
>>54527290
>>54527365
stormbreath doesn't work that good with bridge. personally i think assemble the legion is a cool choice but maybe risky since people will bring enchant/artifact removal. koth is good but he's also a bit dicey in a deck with so many non-mountain lands

>>54525438
the attack trigger is awesome. a guide once filled my hand with enough lands that i was able to discard gristle to hand size like two turns early.
>>
>>54513900
just want to note that this would prevent fraying sanity from triggering, as it is a replacement effect
>>
No judge thread up

What's the ideal way to use creatures/artifacts that have free abilities?

If you play a 20/20 walking ballista for example and your opponent has path. Can you hold priority and just dome them for 20? Or can you not remove counters anymore after your opponent targets it with path in response to you removing the first counter? Or can you still remove all the counters in response to the path?
>>
>>54528804
You can hold priority and depending on the situation you might or might not want to.

> Or can you still remove all the counters in response to the path?
yes
>>
>>54528804
You can activate it, and if they respond, you can activate it again however many times. You hold priority when you use the stack too, so you can simply respond to your own activation with another activation, and another, etc. until finally passing priority to the opponent.
>>
>>54528804
Since the ability is removing 1 counter, and not X counters, you can just remove 1 counter at a time and let it resolve before doing it again. Or if they do path it, you can just throw all the triggers on the stack.
>>
>brewing
I hear there's a tier negative 3 for this guy, what do you do to even get to it? I'm in the mood for utter jank
>>
>>54529094
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkwLJjBGzEE
>>
>>54529111
That was glorious
>>
>>54529111
I'd probably call it Blue Hussar rather than Blue Martyr, all that fucking card draw
>>
File: 1484210176576.jpg (23KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1484210176576.jpg
23KB, 480x336px
any burnbros itt?
which list should i play

naya:
https://pastebin.com/3Gb3YGT7
boros:
https://pastebin.com/GTLwCu2S
mardu:
https://pastebin.com/gAw1UQV4

i have a feeling that mardu is secret meta
>>
>>54529945
Mardu is a meme.

Why would you run Stomping Ground sideboard? Take out that shitty Desert land and free up a sideboard slot for something relevant.
>>
>>54529945
you lose a lot by taking creatures out of the mardu
swiftspear and guides are just too good
>>
File: 1452585536722.gif (174KB, 412x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452585536722.gif
174KB, 412x450px
>>54530078
you gain a lot by blanking any fatal push or path to exile they have in hand, which is a lot in this meta, not to mention that creatures are semi-poor topdecks if they have stuff on the board.
Guide is explosive if they don't immediately push it and 1 for 1 you (potentially drawing a land off Guide)
>>54530028
if i wanted sb slots yeah i'd do that, and also trim the dpalms and the patrician's scorn; however, there's literally nothing more you'd want in the sideboard. (inb4 traitorous korfirewalkerfags forcing you to side in paths)

burn sideboards are genuinely a meme aside from any skullcracks and destructive revs (and ye old topical 2 path to exiles)
>>
File: 1487690258337.jpg (43KB, 651x417px) Image search: [Google]
1487690258337.jpg
43KB, 651x417px
>>54529111
>>
>>54529945
Atarka's Command is pretty bad without Nacatl, as you don't have enough creatures to really make the +1/+1 mode relevant enough. It's still good enough to get there, but forcing the double shockland will cost you games. Not many, but a non-zero number.

Mardu burn is pretty mediocre and especially bad in the mirror. One guy did well and all of a sudden people think it's good.

Optimal lists run straight RW, or with a small G splash for revelry. I think 4 Skullcracks in the main is essential, as it's basically anti-sideboarding against decks that bring in lifegain. You can cut Lavamancer, as it can't grind like it used to, and a Searing Blaze (never like 4 myself, but I could be wrong there).
>>
File: jundgoals.png (1MB, 1000x998px) Image search: [Google]
jundgoals.png
1MB, 1000x998px
bring back midrange
>>
>>54530355
wouldn't mind 3 blaze no lavaman, maybe even go to 19 lands, add 2 skullcracks and maybe a dpalm.
I have been liking Blaze though lately, I have yet to run into any creatureless combo in a long while and it really helps push your creatures through.

gonna try the lavaman variant a bit more before switching it up, I believe in that little dude even though he's so shit holy hell is he shit. but he's a hero.
>>
File: call the neighbors.jpg (56KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
call the neighbors.jpg
56KB, 500x376px
>>54529111
>>
>>54530494
Deflecting Palm is pretty good main. 1-2 is best and can cheese wins when people aren't expecting it (I love to bring it in if I get to game 3). 19 lands is good, but if you run a Shard Volley, you want the 20th land.
>>
Why is jeskai burn not a thing? Or is it not worth it to splash blue for snap, electrolyze, and a few counters in sideboard?
>>
>>54530565
It was when Cruise was legal
>>
>>54530565
We have better burn spells and lines of play. Blue doesn't add anything to the deck, at least now that Cruise is gone. (That's when I picked up the deck. Damn, those were good times.)
>>
>>54530565
UWR control is kind of a fancy burn list and always has been.
>>
File: skullposter.jpg (30KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
skullposter.jpg
30KB, 400x462px
>>54530684
UWx in 2017 is 'turn 35 gideon jura are you still awake?' nobody wants to play against that, it's boring.

UWx needs a more midrange solution that can close a game early left unchecked or turn a match around late. i have a couple ideas if anyone's interested...
>>
>>54530791
I'm listening.
>>
>>54530791
Ban sfm, unban batterskull. I want to flip avacyns in modern
>>
>>54530985
Are you from a different reality?
>>54530791
Geist of saint taft bby
>>
File: 0726170249.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0726170249.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>54500715
>playing
Pic related
>hating
Nothing really
>brewing
Any merit to a singleton ssg for the turn 1 chalice?

>favorite card
Tks in modern, probably necro overall
>favorite set
Lorwyn
>favorite land
PP by Tedin
>>
>>54530631
i miss treasure cruise meta
>>
>>54531027
No lmao, keep that /pol/ crap out of /tg/. Next thing you're gunna tell me is that trump is president.
>>
>>54531054
I want to live in your world. Is Mox Opal banned on Earth2?
>>
>>54531153
if earth 2 actually ban vintage level cards, then imma move there
>>
>>54531153
>banning opal from modern
It was one of the only cards that got a ghost foil printing. People would kill themselves, just like with the goyf ban.
>>
>>54531219
Ghost foil printing? We Yugioh now?
>>
>>54531052
It was so unhealthy but it was so much fun
>>
Why the fuck is Modern and Legacy gonna be at the Pro Tour? They are boring to watch
>>
>>54531453
Just to spite you.
>>
>>54531471
Modern I sort of get but Legacy? The formats stagnant, dull, and prohibitively expensive. SCG and CardKingdom just raised Dual Land prices due to the tournament.
>>
>>54531471
Like seriously how interesting is the 5th Delver variant vs Combo match really going to be?
Delver vs Reanimator
Delver vs Lands
Delver vs Storm
Storm vs Show and Tell
These matchups havent changed in years and it just gets boring to watch
>>
>>54531558
But now we have BUGshit because of Leovold, surely that will make things more interesting?
>>
>>54531546
I don't care how expensive the cards are or what SCG is doing with their prices. I like watching Brainstorm, Wasteland, and Daze being played.
>>
>>54531565
No, its the same value grindy stagnant bullshit. Legacy and to a much lesser extent Modern gets boring because its the same matchups. Legacy hasnt changed dramatically since Khans, Top banning didnt change anything, Miracles just died and the decks that were goid stayed good. Its the same matchups D&T vs Delver, Delver vs Storm, D&T vs Sneak and Show, these matchups havent changed and it just gets boring after a while
>>
>>54531577
Why? Its boring and little skill is involved similar to Modern. In both formats you have this wide range of decks that are trying to kill you super quick. The games end up being short and the matchups determine a lot of it, they are both high variance formats. Theres games of Legacy where you had 2 decisions and you win or lose based off those.
>>
>>54531618
Because I enjoy the decision trees and lines people come up with when using powerful cards with very high blow out potential. I don't think that's boring at all. "Fair" Legacy decks are some of the most enjoyable Magic to spectate. Delver and Maverick and Stoneblade get me hard.
>>
>>54531599
>modern
how interesting is the 5th thoughtseize variant going to be?
grixis vs tron
jund vs burn
junk vs affinity

they all play out the same way
>take your best card
>deploy an undercosted beater
>kill your board
>>
>>54531861
>they all play out the same way
>t1 inquisition on d&t take their cat
>t1 inquisition on eldrazi tron take nothing
>>
>>54531453
Less boring than standard imo baka senpai
>>
File: bant_command_v2.jpg (225KB, 1146x653px) Image search: [Google]
bant_command_v2.jpg
225KB, 1146x653px
>>54530791
>UWx needs a more midrange solution that can close a game early left unchecked or turn a match around late. i have a couple ideas if anyone's interested...
I'm still working on that Bant Eternal Command list I posted last thread. It's been testing well on Xmage. Here is the current version.
>>
>playing
Esper Death's Shadow

>hating
Tron, forever and always.

>brewing
>brewing

>favorite card
Thiago-chan

>favorite set
Time Spiral Block

>favorite lands to use
Unhinged
>>
>>54531861
Yeah i even said in the post that Modern suffers a similar problem to a much lesser extent though. At least the Shadow decks are new. Delvers been a Legacy archetype since 2013, its been 4 years and it just gets tiring watching the 5 millionth Daze on a removal spell
>>
>>54532380
>Mocking brews when you're playing a deck that didn't exist a year ago and contains zero cards printed in the last year
>>
File: Fatal Push_AER.jpg (232KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Fatal Push_AER.jpg
232KB, 672x936px
>>54533193
>and contains zero cards printed in the last year
>>
>>54533251
Fine, there's one card that doesn't lend itself to any one particular deck.
>>
>>54533193

Death's Shadow isn't a "brew", it's a well-tuned deck that the Modern community has figured out through various iterations over the course of the last year. "Brew" implies that you made the deck yourself, which is always going to be shit always.

Unless you're Zac Elsik or Sam Black. And you're not.

Nor am I.
>>
>>54533394
>It's not a brew if these guys made it!
God shut up.
>>
>>54533426

No, it's still a brew if they made it. The difference is that they're just good at making decks, and >99% of the community is not. But please, anon, tell us what tournament-winning decks you've "brewed" up.
>>
>>54533688
You didn't mock >99% of the community, you mocked brewing as a whole in Modern.
>>
File: en_wZVwmRbywR[1].png (158KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_wZVwmRbywR[1].png
158KB, 265x370px
>playing
Naya Zoo

>hating
My life

>brewing
Possibility Storm

>favorite card
Huntmaster of the Fells

>favorite set
Innistrad for flavor I guess

>favorite land
>pic related
>>
>>54533721

Nobody here is good enough to brew, because /tg/ is shit at magic.
>>
File: ody-333-plains.jpg (212KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
ody-333-plains.jpg
212KB, 672x936px
>playin
bring to light scapeshift

>hating
kitchen table. A guy made an abomination with every discard spell concievable, racks and nyxathids. I'd kill someone for being able to build a leyline of sanctity right now and not have to wait for the orders from mkm

>Brewing
Blue steel. I'm probably going to jam sky hussar in after seeing >>54529111

>Favorite card
red akroma

>Favorite set
Conflux

>Favorite land
Pic related. Every odyssey land really
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-07-17-landhate/

I know it's a modern thread but I'm not starting a legacy general just to post this, so anyone have any thoughts on this deck?
>>
File: Tarmogoyf_MMA.jpg (276KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Tarmogoyf_MMA.jpg
276KB, 672x936px
>El goyfo loco is a 2/3, no instants in any graveyard
>The opponent bolts him
>He still survives
How?
>>
>>54534276
Because Bolt doesn't destroy creatures, it just applies 3 damage to them then goes to the yard, which causes Goyf to become a 3/4. Only after this has happened are SBAs next checked, which is where Goyf would have died.
>>
>playin
R/G ponza and Merfolk

>hating
The card Fatal Push. Its become more popular than bolt in non-burn decks and for good reason. Just need 1 Arbor elf or one lord to survive a turn tho.

>Brewing
Nothing atm. Really wanna make Torment of Hailfire work but outside of tron to cast it for a billion, it just seems like a meme.

>Favorite card
Blood moon. I love that it just cheeses out a win or makes it so much more difficult.

>Favorite set
Ohh thats a toughie. Id prolly go with Lorowyn for land art alone, or for Khans for storybuilding

>Favorite land
See above. All of the islands and swamps are beautiful.
>>
>>54534256
I totally see where this is coming from I used to build hyperjank like this when I was new. You searched for bunch of land destruction, used some cards you might have, noticed some of it is not modern legal and went with legacy. Cool.

The deck is bad, very bad. Legacy is Wasteland: The Format. Even 4-color super greedy manabase delver decks run Wastelands. Wasteland is such an important factor in legacy that many if not all decks are prepared for land destruction and can easily operate on very few lands.

That said, there is a sort of land hate deck already in legacy; Landstill.
>>
>>54534759
>Torment of Hailfire in Tron
Oooooohh
I'm really stupid for not thinking about it sooner
>>
>>54530791
>midrange
>fun or skilltesting
>>
>>54533274
The deck wouldn't exist without push.
>>
>>54534772
So should I try to build a modern version of this or what's a good idea, or also thank you that was a very good post.
>>
>>54536461
There's deck called Ponza in modern, this is just one variant that also plays Madcap + Emperion package.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-rg-ponza#paper
It could be tuned to have planeswalkers, Thrun or what have you as wincon. I like the deck because Goblin Dark-Dwellers go really good in it.
>>
>>54534920
aggro, midrange and combo are skill-testing. hard control is simply a matter of 'did i make all my land drops?'
>>
>>54536943
Aggro and midrange are literally did I win the coin flip and draw a good 7: the archetypes
>>
>>54536679
Thanks a lot man, I'm gonna check out this deck
>>
>>54501951
Anger of the Gods is real good
>>
>>54537063
assuming that is true they still require twice as many conditionals to be met than hard control.

counterspell, boardwipe, planeswalker isn't hard kid. try playing something with a modicum of difficulty like d&t or shadow.
>>
>>54537254
>shadow
>hard to play
This is fucking bait.
>>
>>54537254
>implying hard control plays planeswalkers
Only gay midrange decks like U/W play walkers.
Also,
>kid
>>
Newer player to mtg here, I've been playing around with some decks online and really like Jund because of its flexibility, options, and general fairness + enjoyment to play.

I want to build a Jund deck to play at my local shop, but I was wondering if there were any budget options for some of the more expensive pieces? I have a playset of Dark Confidants I got from a friend for $150 CAD, but that's it so far.
>>
>>54527240
>Storm
>Lame
Do you liven on 2015 or what?
>>
>>54513900
Paper
"Wow rock sounds pretty good"
>>
>>54537841
Not really anon, but it's a good deck to build. Not super great in this meta but safe from a ban and gives you some staples.
>>
>>54537841
Budget considerations and alternatives is a nice way to say downgrades. You picked a bad deck to build on a budget since playset of Goyfs and Lilis are quite essential to the jund gameplan. You could probably play Liliana, The Last Hope and Grim Flayer instead of the aforementioned two but honestly I would just build any 2-color goodstuff since you already have Bobs.
>>
>>54537841
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViqFftc4Jw8
>>
>>54538086
True enough. I might take the hit and shell out for the Goyfs and Lilianas, but it's just a scary prospect for my first physical deck to be so expensive.

>>54538116
You're right, definitely downgrades, and absolutely a bad deck to build on a budget. It's been a blast to play online, though, so even any similar decks would be great.
If I were to shell out for Goyfs or Lilis right now and pick the other up later, which is more essential do you think? I can probably swing building the full deck, but it'll take a bit of time.
A few of the fetches are concerns as well, but buying those is unavoidable.
>>
>>54538225
Just buy chinamen fakes and save yourself hundreds
>>54538173
>>
New thread for when this one is sufficiently dead
>>54538303
>>54538303
>>54538303
>>
>>54538225
>If I were to shell out for Goyfs or Lilis right now and pick the other up later, which is more essential do you think?
Lilis go better with Bobs you already have in my opinion. Goyf really wants a good home to consistently be massive.
>A few of the fetches are concerns as well, but buying those is unavoidable.
Exactly why I proposed going two colors for now.
>>
>>54538427
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the help.
If I were to build 2 color goodstuff right now, wouldn't the price come out relatively the same to just going all-in on Jund? Maybe that's only the case for Black/Green, though.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.