[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 384
Thread images: 41

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!8lhwhRhY!QtPgmG-SJLu8CSBEjRutqA!k0Ah0Qzb

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54326527

What's your favorite way to play a Fighter?
>>
First for Monks.
>>
Second for Bards.
>>
>>54335135
As a type of "janitor" that rolls his eyes when the time comes to take out the trash, because he swears to God he just took out that hobgoblin horde, could you please keep this clean for five God damned minutes..
>>
Asked last thread right at the end...

Why does the Warlock fluff give so many options for great RP while being so shit mechanically? Does it help if you focus more on out of combat utility and social aspects or does it fall shot there as well? Also, is it possible to turn one into a healer or support character at all?

Asking as a newbie player with the itch to play one, but the desire not to drag down my party.
>>
Eighth for Wizard aka Master Race
>>
>>54335186
Nice.
>>
>>54335209
>Thinks Wizards are a Race
>Calls them the Master Race
>Can't even count

laughing_elves.treescribble
>>
>>54335135
>What's your favorite way to play a Fighter?

barbarian
>>
>>54335233
>Being this delusional
Go to bed Tree Man. I'm smarter and I can grow a beard.
>>
File: 1499888851056.jpg (68KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499888851056.jpg
68KB, 480x480px
What are the best side-quests in chapter 2 of SKT?
>>
>>54335188
The warlock has EXCELLENT mechanics if you actually understand it.
No, you can't heal. You can't support. You can't even do AOE or debuffs. Your job in combat is the same as the fighter's or rogue's - dish out pain. High, consistent pain. Cast Hex, throw EB. It's only boring if you compare it to the wizard instead of the fighter.
Out of combat, you're literally king of consistent utility. One invocation gets you perfect disguises, at will, forever. Another gets you levitation, at will, forever. And assuming you picked Tome or Chain, you have additional means of accomplishing things out of combat.
You're not going to drag anybody down, as long as nobody things you're an alternative wizard. You're not. You're an alternative rogue. Embrace it. Love it.
Or play something else. But don't try to make the warlock something it isn't.
>>
Reposting since last thread died shortly after I posted it:

What are some fun iconic magic items for strahd to use to fuck with the PCs, that he stole from the countless other adventurers he's sucked into ravenloft? (And potentially let the PCs steal from him if they're clever enough)
>>
>>54335188

Warlocks are pretty good mechanically. Them being bad is a meme mainly perpetuated by a mix of people who don't understand math and don't understand their kit.

They do have some issues, though:

- If your table doesn't use short rests, they're objectively worse than most classes. They stand next to Monk in this regard. However, even just 1 short rest per day makes them decent, and 2 is their sweet spot.
- They give you a ton of options through invocations but, realistically, you're only going to grab a couple of them for most of your career, as invocations that make you more combat effective take priority. This isn't a flaw as such, but more of their option list being a huge cocktease.
- People see full spell progression and think 'short rest wizard!'. They're not. They are magical martials. Repeat after me: Warlocks are magical martials. Their Eldritch Blast might as well be refluffed as a magic bow. They are not a support class. They don't play like Wizards or Bards. They are not meant to. What they do, is that they open combat casting a high level spell (a disable, save-or-lose, or situational buff) and then spend the rest of the fight applying Direct Damage much like a Fighter or Barbarian or Rogue or Paladin would. This is how they play. This is their role. CHA-focus, invocations, cantrips, pacts and their spell list provide utility.

They can grab a couple support spells (ie Polymorph) but no, they're not support characters. Celestial UA patron can turn them into healers, but you do not want to be a dedicated healer in 5e. Like, at all.
>>
File: Vaulter Homebrew 1st Draft.jpg (185KB, 743x957px) Image search: [Google]
Vaulter Homebrew 1st Draft.jpg
185KB, 743x957px
Reposting from last thread.

Please gib feedback on my first ever attempt at homebrewing. I tried to use PHB Dwarves as a rough template to work off of.

Is this too weak? Too strong? Is it a race that you would be interested in playing or does it need a little bit of something to make it stand out?

>>54335135
King of Tavern Brawls.

Battlemaster, Tavern Brawler, Martial Adept and Grappler feats.

It's pretty worthless in a fight but it's fun to start fight rings like the ones in Witcher 2.
>>
>>54335270
Genuine question: why do you keep asking this?

>>54335186
I love "annoyed" adventurers. You could tell they used to be so driven but doing the same shit over and over again pointlessly has worn them out. But they keep doing it, because by the gods, it's the right thing to do and they were born to do it.
>>
>>54335360
Endless Legend?
You might want to work on the wording of Vaulter Combat Training to use terminology consistent with the rest of the game. Other than that, they're basically fine. They definitely have an identity ("I want to play x but with a shield! :DD") that would make them desirable to some players. They're great wizards, but probably not OP (well, not TOO OP); the +2 CON means they're decent at just about anything.
>>
>>54335186
Does he work for free?
>>
>>54335360
About the only thing useful that race has is shields. Needs something more. Mountain dwarfs are good because they get light and medium armor proficiency.
Shield proficiency isn't bad it is almost on par.
>>
>>54335508
Shield proficiency is BETTER than medium armor proficiency. More classes get armor proficiency/mage armor than get shield proficiency.
This race is basically the "haha now I don't have to dip into fighter" race.
>>
>>54335156
That's funny because all the warlock players I had loved the mechanics but rebelled hard against the fluff ("You try to make my pact/patron story-relevant or a source of conflict and I WILL QUIT THIS GAME!").
They were the worst and I honestly never want another Warlock at my table again...
>>
>>54335564

Strange. People who sell their soul for incredible magical power usually have quite a lot of trouble down the road.
>>
>>54335135
Am I a gigantic faggot if my next character idea is a futuristic spaceman sent to the world as a peacekeeper?

I'm planning on refluffing a warlock of the celestial.
>>
File: screenshot.png (137KB, 1130x744px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
137KB, 1130x744px
I know this probably isn't a new thing to anyone, but I found this really cool resource online if anyone is interested in making custom creature stat-sheets in the style of the Monster Manual.

Pic related. Link: http://thegeniusinc.com/dd-monster-maker-download/
>>
Lads, I need some ideas to make make the last session of this quest arc take longer.

It's very early on in the campaign and the player characters are helping the city guard with uncovering a sect spreading a madness-inducing drug that is leading the city to ruin. So far, they know what the drug is made out of and that some demonic sect is involved in it. The next course of action would be to ask around the city market, at which point they'd find out that a lot of the merchants are cultists or under demonic possession, defeat them, backtrack things and find the one producing the drug, acting as the boss of this first quest chain and then leaving it open to the players where to head off to next.

Anyone got any suggestions how to fluff out the time between fighting the cultists in the market square and actually confronting the cult leader? Also, any simple incentives to encourage the party to stay together after leaving town and actually adventure together that don't involve the literal end of the world and only them being able to stop it?
>>
>>54335706
The worst thing here isn't that you were sent from the future, it's that you're appointing yourself "most important character in the setting."
Unless there's many of you. In which case the worst thing is being sent from the future.
>>
>>54335759
That's a really good point. How could I justify "future tech" without being a complete shit about it?
>>
I'm not the only one that would trade the 20 subclasses in the upcoming book for a proper artificer/mystic, am I?
>>
>>54335785

>"Hey, DM, is there a way I could justify 'future tech' in this setting without being a complete shit about it?"
>>
>>54335785
That depends entirely on the DM and the vision he has for his setting. You gotta talk to them.

>>54335814
Actually you might be.
The only exception is if they reversed course on the mystic and go back to their earlier concept - a class with actual identity, and a couple of archetypes for other classes that give them 1/3 psionics.
>>
>>5433470
Moderately armoured is only a half-feat if I remember right and if it takes you up to 14 dex then it's a +5 AC.
>>
>>54335749
>The next course of action would be to ask around the city market

It sounds by this that your situations ingame are very linear. Point a-b-c .

I'd advice reading this article on the three clue rule.

>>http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule

As well as the follow up article on node based scenario design

>>http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7949/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-part-1-the-plotted-approach

With this method you can structure things out far more naturally and allow your players as a result to approach scenarios in multiple different ways. -meaning you won't have to worry about padding out scenarios for no reason. With this approach players can either be thorough or shortcut through a scenario , which is great too as it rewards them for exploring.

>simple incentives

Well, ideally all the players are linked together in some way anyway, you establish this during session zero. So two players might be siblings, one of those siblings, might be childhood friends with another character who might have been trained by another character etc and they might all be part of a mercenary company , kings guard , or merchant guild in some.capacity. this is ideally all up to the players.

You further make players care about things by letting them set their own goals and enact them in-game. When I design I create a world and various NPC's and their goals and let the players do the same and the conflict is when those goals intersect in some way.
>>
File: 02 - A landscape of Auriga.jpg (333KB, 1600x899px) Image search: [Google]
02 - A landscape of Auriga.jpg
333KB, 1600x899px
>>54335463
Yeah, Endless Legend. I saw a post in this general a few days ago talking about it but I was away from home at the time so I couldn't really chime in (phoneposting is too tedious).

I agonized a bit over the +1 INT. I feel like I should give it to them since they're THE science faction in EL, but you're right in that it does make them a pretty attractive option for casters, which doesn't quite match with their EL identity. I thought maybe I could switch it for +1 STR to help them get heavy armour prerequisites but I feel like that'd make them TOO Fighter-y.

>You might want to work on the wording of Vaulter Combat Training to use terminology consistent with the rest of the game.
I've just looked up the ranged combat section of the PHB, how does something like this sound?
>You do not suffer disadvantage on your attack role when making a ranged attack against an enemy who is within 5ft of you.
Or is that not the part of the feature you were referring to?

>>54335508
Do you have any particular suggestions in mind? I'm struggling to think of anything combat related to give them aside from more proficiencies, but I don't want to take away too much proficiency choice from class selection.

Overall i'm just happy to hear that they're not OP or anything. I figure it's almost always easier to start from the bottom and work upwards than to try to scale down an overpowered concept. Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>54335613
Yeah, but these assholes just didn't want to, you know, contribute to the narrative. One couldn't roleplay his way out of a paper bag and the other got tired of his warlock after the bard started outdoing him on Arcana checks ("I was supposed to be the knower of forbidden magic lore!" "Then why did you roll up a CHA-based character and not an INT-based character?")
>>
>>54335861
>The mystic doesn't have identity, but it would if a shitload of subclasses could dabble in psionics

Are you sure you shouldn't be posting here instead? >>54329041
>>
>>54335904
That's exactly the part I was referring to, and that fix sounds good.
Yeah, I'd be weary of making them too fightery. But you shouldn't worry too much about the Int, because it's only used by wizards (and a couple of archetypes).
Honestly, they're probably fine as-is.

>>54335921
You're a retard. There's already two archetypes in the game that dabble in casting, and WOTC originally suggested the Immortal would be a fighter subclass. That's exactly the sort of shit archetypes are for.
>>
>>54335359
Underrated post
>>
>>54335961
It's okay, we all read your post. You don't have to bump it. It was good. Relax.
>>
>>54335960
>You're a retard. There's already two archetypes in the game that dabble in casting,
Yeah, and they're fucking worthless compared to just taking a dip in wizard and being a fighter or rogue that can actually do things. How many of the non core subclasses are any good and aren't either retardedly strong or super gimmicky useless shit that do a concept a base class can already generally do with multiclassing? One of the best parts of 5E is that it stepped away from the MTG mentality of constantly adding more poorly thought out classes that's plagued D&D since 3.0 and instead

Being able to take a mystic and have it play like a weird really tough fighter is way more interesting than "I'm a fighter but I also get a couple party tricks several levels later after the dedicated class"
>>
Rival party DM from last night. Ended up taking all your guy's advice and wrote a three-page reflection/apology to my players. It included what I wanted the session to be, how I expected they would act, how they actually acted, and what I was trying to teach them about the game. Shared it with them and, to my surprise, they all felt like they were at fault. We talked it over and they're excited for next week and to meet the rival party again.
Thanks /5eg/
>>
File: 1499974059488.jpg (202KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1499974059488.jpg
202KB, 717x880px
>>54335961
> Upboated le kind gentlesir
>>
>>54336055
Unsurprisingly talk to your fucking players actually works when people do it.
>>
Anyone have any tips or examples for playing a lizardfolk?

Being sort of an alien wanderer looks like a lot of fun, and I would really appreciate some tips or examples of playing as or with one to get me on the right track.
>>
File: IMG_0911.jpg (438KB, 1247x798px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0911.jpg
438KB, 1247x798px
>>54335351
Apparatus of Kwalish

Put it at the other side of Barovia and let them try to drive it all the way to the castle, then have Strahd use Heat Metal on it, forcing them to get out, before just crushing it.
>>
>>54336137
man, i really wish the apparatus of kwalish was good.
>>
>>54336137
How come heat metal heats the whole damn thing? Can you heat the entirety of the earth's core with heat metal?
>>
>>54335554
>more classes get medium armor/Mage armor than shield proficiency
No class gets medium armor but not shields. Only mountain dwarves.
I'll give you it's an alluring addition to rogue or BB/GFB lore bard, but no dedicated melee type really needs it and doesn't already get it.
>>
>>54336194
if you had line of effect, sure. of course what's another 2d6 damage on top of what it already does.
>>
Hey guys, never really played before but it looks like I'll be in a group starting up soon. Just wanted thoughts on a character concept. My idea is that a Sorcerer lost his wife and daughter years ago in a magical accident that fucked their souls, rendering them unable to be resurrected, including through wish. He spends his life trying to bring them back, with a statue of each of them in his workshop so he never forgets what they look like. Eventually, he gets old as fuck, and tired and terribly depressed after all that time, and murmurs "I wish Lily was alive". Unintentionally in his distress, he actually casts the wish spell, losing his life due to strain but animating the statue of his daughter, as after all this time when he thought of his daughter, the statue is what came to mind.

The character herself would be a level 1 sorcerer, refluffed warforge I guess because that's the closest to a statue. She wouldn't be able to talk, but would communicate through other means. If asked her name she would present a Lily flower made using prestidigitation, for example.

If you guys think it's too edgy or special snowflake I won't use it, I just thought it'd be kinda cool.
>>
>>54335914
>these assholes just didn't want to
Wow, someone who makes a bargain with a powerful being as a quick avenue to power doesn't want to deal with the consequences? How novel!
Guess what, your patron's knocking whether you like it or not.
Note however, that according to warlock fluff, the patron generally doesn't have the power to take their abilities away. They provided techniques or secrets and the warlock already knows how to use them. But they may refuse to give more knowledge or they may require services if you want to keep gaining levels in warlock.
>>
>>54336247
Sounds tedious, to be honest. It sounds cool but playing a mute character is ass.
>>
>>54335564
> ("You try to make my pact/patron story-relevant or a source of conflict and I WILL QUIT THIS GAME!").
by fluff great old one doesn't even have to know you exist, so the game itself has a built in route for players that don't want to deal with this. its not like paladin
>>
>>54336194
>How come heat metal heats the whole damn thing? Can you heat the entirety of the earth's core with heat metal?
Because Strahd is a cheater. A big one.
And no, you slippery-slope moron, I'm not proposing the Heat Metal effect is infinite, I'm saying boosting it for a narrative effect that fits extremely well with Strahd's game of hopelessness is appropriate for a DM. If your players are saying "that's not fair!" about what Strahd does, then you're playing him right.
>>
>>54336259
I think that's dumb. The patron should be able to take away power (or just send some powerful demons to snuff them) if the warlock gets too far out of line.
>Dammit, Ragnar, that's the last straw! I want your pact and your staff, now!
and your other staff
>>
>>54336319
But anon the dmg clearly states that you're meant to provide 5-8 appropriate balanced encounters per level where none of.us can really.die and these Orcs are only meant to have 11 HP and deal d8 not D12 damage. The video game.manual says so so that's how you have to do it.
>>
2 of my players can't come to tonight session.

Quick /tg/ give me a 3-persons, 4 hours one-shot
>>
>>54335882
Thanks, I'll sit down and try to come up with a way to let them find out how to reach the conclusion that one of the alchemists they met before is the cult leader.
Just need to come up with a few more steps between confronting the first batch of cultists to ultimately finding the guy. I just feel like I wrote myself into a corner for this quest line, as I can't think of any more alternate scenarios the players could take before reaching the conclusion when their only goal to reach in town is to save it from that cult by stopping the spread of the drug. There's not really much else they should be doing in town right now, as that's an urgent issue that HAS to be resolved ASAP. Any ideas of what additional research and detective work they'd have to do before connecting the cult to an alchemist would be incredibly appreciated, as it's currently planned to find a later with stylized initials that would get them to their target.

As for them having a reason to work together, their character's aren't actually connected to each other personally and just happened to all be put into the same group when enlisting to earn money and help save the city. I'm thinking of introducing an adventurer's guild that they get suggested to as a group by the guard captain after they solved the situation. That way I could probably tell them that, as official members, they're free to go anywhere on the continent and get special privileges as adventurers such as cheaper lodgings and being able to be hired by state institutions for work and do mercenary work as a well-regarded job. Maybe give them some hints or clues what is currently happening in other parts of the world where help could be needed to give them a preview of what awaits them depending on where they're going without putting the entire weight of the world onto them.
>>
>>54336319
Well, sure, but this would be better as an early thing. The players grab hold of it early and think they'll get a fast easy out and then get fucked over to introduce them to the 'it's not going to be that easy'.
>>
>>54336311
>>54336259
See, I don't get this. I'm making a warlock for a new campaign and part of the reason I want to try it is the pact and how it might screw me over down the road
>>
>>54336375
Personally wanted to try a level 20 one-shot for a while now where there is a sudden crypt/labyrinth/dungeon that appeared on the surface after an earthquake that they players then find out is actually a gigantic, buried golem, fighting them from the outside while they're in its body.
>>
>>54335914
Warlocks should have been int casters anyway before they decided to unbalance the int/wis/cha caster balance.
Not to mention, you should be giving warlocks hidden bonuses to relevant information, otherwise you get the fiend pact tiefling who somehow knows nothing about hell or fiends or anything while that one barbarian who happened to roll a 20 knows everything.
>>
>>54336294
I thought that might be the case. I could have her use Minor Illusion to speak, might have some cool roleplay potential.
>>
>>54336461
>>54335914
Also this is what custom level 1 feats are for
'I want a character who knows a lot about forbidden lore'
'Okay that can be part of that starting benefit and you can have a forbidden lore specialist warlock'
>>
>>54336375
bandits stole the mayors horse, but the bandits are demons and the horse is actually a small dragon the mayor is a akeleton/spoiler]
>>
>>54336395
Maybe make your relationship more personal. The PHB asks you to consider if your relationship is "friendly, antagonistic, uneasy, or romantic?"

Maybe a Fey creature made you her lover, and her gifts are generous, but she also gets extremely jealous and demands you travel long distances so you can be with her for a night in a strange location. "Oh Anon, it would be so romantic if you came to me in the caldera of Mount Explode, it is beautiful right before it erupts. You'll travel the 600 miles to be with me there, right?"
>>
>>54336477

Aren't there backgrounds that tie in nicely to Arcana and stuff like that?
>>
>>54336490
it's like putting unecessary twists everywhere
the players are actually sentient trucks
>>
>>54336387
In that case, you'll want an item that has narrative benefits, not just "do +2 damage". Various staffs might do, but they may tip your players off that you're gonna take it away.

Maybe stage a difficult fight, and have the enemy leader try to get away, but let the players "sequence break" by killing them anyway and getting a powerful magic item.
>>
>>54336535
the bandits are Vin diesel and Paul Walker
>>
>>54336461
>Warlocks should have been int casters anyway before they decided to unbalance the int/wis/cha caster balance.
Warlocks only make sense as CHA casters because someone with lots of INT or WIS wouldn't make a pact with a neublous entity as a shortcut for power
>>
>>54336535
the bandit leader is mysteriously absent from the group and if the party looks into it its revealed that their leader is Tiberius from the hit Dungeons and Dragons stream Critical Role
>>
>>54335961
Thank you.

Point 3 applies almost verbatim to Sorcerers, too. "They are so much worse than Wizards!" say people who try to play them as if they were wizards.

And then goalposts are moved: but what's the point of doing damage if it doesn't compare to martials with GWM/SS?

To which I have to say, considering that no martial options compare to using GWM/SS/PAM... maybe Warlock and Sorcerer damage isn't where the problem lies, here?
>>
>>54336613
I'd argue an INT person absolutely would do that. People usually don't take risks like making a bargain like that because they CAN'T get powerful otherwise, but because they COULD but they're lazy and tempted.

It's like people cheating in college. So many of them would have passed if they just put in the work. Total failures tend to just drop out.
>>
>>54336643
Not even as a joke
>>
>>54336731
who said it was a joke
>>
>>54336728
>>54336613
i disagree.
high INT low WIS = overambitious.
which completely fits the whole "i'll make a deal with an ancient god, i'll surely outsmart him anyway in the end".

But to be honest, as a DM, my players can be either. Allows for more warlock gnomes too, which I find fun.
>>
>>54336728
>People usually don't take risks like making a bargain like that because they CAN'T get powerful otherwise, but because they COULD but they're lazy and tempted.
That's the gist of my warlock's backstory. A little hackneyed? Yeah, but I don't care
>>
File: 1486134359479.jpg (49KB, 438x615px) Image search: [Google]
1486134359479.jpg
49KB, 438x615px
It's my group's first time playing, and two of the four of them keep spouting this "just use a generic DnD setting!" over and over, despite the fact I said I have everything built.
Is it really beneficial to play a "generic" or "prebuilt" setting to pop their cherries?
What I have built is already pretty generic but they still don't seem pleased.
Of course, we are playing 5e.
>>
>>54336778
>>54336779
You both read the part where I said a high-INT warlock would work, right? I'm agreeing with you. They could have been wizards but they thought they had a faster avenue that was easier.
>>
>>54336834
I know. I was agreeing with you, silly
>>
>>54336716
The difference is that warlocks are actually way different from wizard, while a sorcerer casts from a worse version of the wizard list with worst mechanics tied to it
>>
Players gonna be wrapping up SKT soon. Was wondering whether I should give them a reason to do one of the high level TftYP dungeons or create my own story from here on out.

What's a good threat/problem/enemy/adventure for an eleventh level party?
>>
>>54336529
Backgrounds have awfully lackluster features.

if you want to give players a good range of customization, you throw them a feat that they're allowed to mess with a lot as long as you bring them all into balance for flavourful effect. 'I want to make a fighter that throws knives and also is a great chef'... You make throwing knives a bit more viable and also some minor cooking ability for minor buffs.
'I want to be a blood mage' and you can make a simple 'cast with HP' system.
'I want to know forbidden knowledge' and you just throw that in as an extra.

It's much better to say 'since you're a dwarf, you know about stone shit' than 'I guess you get a higher roll to potentially know shit' because it gives more meaning to it, I feel, and people shouldn't feel 'oh no the bard is better at all skills than all of us'... But I don't have enough experience to say entirely how it works yet.
>>
>>54335135
Just a guy who knows how to hit very hard with a sword/hammer/axe/wathever
>>
>>54336549
I kinda hate how people don't seem to get narrative power unless it's also a +3 sword of supercool or whatever.

This sort of thing really needs to be done more often, it's great to show the players that there is no true preplanned 'sequence' to everything and that things can take an unexpected turn, and then they have to decide how they use that power when it isn't just a flat 'combat is now easier'
>>
>>54337022
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the sword
>>
>>54337116
>Good? Bad?
Depends on the rest of the group, if it's a muderhobos game: neutral, if it's a group of heroes: good.
>>
>>54337041
If you can work it into conversation, mention that 5e is actually balanced around players not having magic items (except maybe having magic weapons, just not +1 ones), so anything they get is an added boost to their power.
And then start dropping items that give minor or situational boosts to things, like Boots of Striding and Springing (useful? If you're a Dwarf or small race, sure) or Bag of Tricks, or wands if you want to give them a power boost without actually giving them +1.
>>
>>54337142
Honestly some things like wands sound even worse.
A wand of lightning at a low level is a potential +6 level 3 spell slots an adventuring day for the purpose of spamming lightning bolt.

A lot of the DMG items don't really seem great as a DM, but I can understand players liking them for their raw power value.
>>
File: Sarge-Scout-Sniper.jpg (354KB, 1500x971px) Image search: [Google]
Sarge-Scout-Sniper.jpg
354KB, 1500x971px
Are Stormtroopers Lawful Evil?
>>
>>54336476
Unless you're 100% dedicated to the concept and know the other players and DM won't be annoyed by it, I'd still say to drop the muteness. You can be a construct and follow those rules, and even keep the backstory. A statue being Pygmalion'd into existence is just as plausible as it being able to speak after said animation.
>>
>>54337140
lrn2Bruce Campbell
>>
>>54337142
>If you can work it into conversation, mention that 5e is actually balanced around players not having magic items
Which is why artificer can never be properly designed in this game
>>
File: 570px-Ike_and_his_army.png (398KB, 570x480px) Image search: [Google]
570px-Ike_and_his_army.png
398KB, 570x480px
>>54335135
Almost like an adventurer adrenaline junkie
Always looking to test his mettle against fantastical creatures and looking for a new challenge like that Temple of Skulls over there rather than taking a shortcut through Merry Forest
>>
>>54337183
Yes, like all soldiers.
>>
>>54337183
No, evil implies selfishness. They just follow orders. Seems more LN to me.
>>
>>54337183
Lawful Neutral for the enlisted and lower officers. It's only the big brass in the Empire that actually leans toward evil alignments, most Stormtroopers are just doing what the fuck they're told to do.

Also what the fuck does this have to do with 5e?
>>
>>54337248
Is a Paladin of righteousness a soldier?
>>
>>54337183
Depends
Most are just dudes doing a day job they're not all frying Aunts and Uncles while oppressing civilians
In the Core they'd probably lean Lawful N.
>>
>>54337255
Just gathering alignment examples for a few other players in my group and trying to correct assumptions about said examples. We're playing a 5e Campaign.
>>
>>54336929
That just means people get even more confused as to how sorc is supposed to play.
>>
>>54337175
You're right, of course; maybe use the limited charges variant with like 4 charges left, and make it a rarely-used spell like Legend Lore, Hallucinatory Terrain, or Dream
>>
>>54336716
>No martial options compare to using GWM/SS/PAM/CBE
But every martial except perhaps barbarogue and monk can use those feats. Barbarogue is already strong enough, and monk is already good enough considering their stunning fist spam, so what's the problem?
You take away those feats and suddenly barbarogue is king and monks do decent damage AND stun the shit out of everything.
>>
>>54337320
Yeah. The only concern is hoarding PCs, and you can get around this by kinda limiting their inventory size in a reasonable way and maybe making things a bit more lethal or whatever to remind them they can use these things.
>>
>>54337266
Does he fight for a state entity in return for financial rewards?
>>
>>54335135
as a guy who is depressed because he can't do his job right and kinda wants to die
>>
Are the any books with feats in them or just the PHB?
>>
>>54337140
>murderhobos
>neutral
Interesting lies you tell yourself to sleep at night.

>>54337353
>All soldiers fight for financial reward
Have you heard of conscription?
>>
>>54337353
Soliders don't get payed that much
>>
>>54335135
Not necessarily a fighter, but most martials in general, I like to play as some sort of everyday guy that got roped into something much bigger than himself.
>>
What do you think of changing Warforged Composite Plating to a Natural Armor equal to 10+Proficiency Bonus+CON?
>>
>>54337388
There's a feat for deep gnomes in Elemental Evil, but other than that I don't think so.

Just wait for Xanathar's Guide like the rest of us
>>
>>54337406
Conscripts still get paid.
>>
Redpill me on barbarogue
>>
>>54337421
So they murder for the state in return for not much money, what difference does that make?
>>
>>54337478
Meme grappling build. However, it's actually not bad at damage since Barb's damage doesn't scale up very well.
>>
>>54337322
>Every martial can use those feats
>If you can use those feats but don't your damage is trash
>What's the problem with that?

Do you know what a Feat tax is? How about when an option is so good, that it doesn't make sense not to take it? When it's so good that it forces all characters to play along a path that uses said option?

GWM is so good, it shoehorns every melee Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger and Bladelock to use a 2h weapon. And then you can stack it with PAM.

CBE+SS is so good, it shoehorns ever ranged weapon character to using a Hand Crossbow.
>>
>>54337487
>protecting your land and trying to serve to protect is indiscriminate murder
I bet your hobby is trying to make Paladins fall
>>
>>54337546
I thought GWM is only a single damage point better on average than Dueling
>>
>>54337564
He's talking about the Great Weapon Master feat, not the Great Weapon fighting style.
>>
>>54337564
Great Weapon Fighting is not Great Weapon Master. In fact most martials don't even take GWF anyway.
>>
Is Tripping Attack + Sentinel as goofy as it seems? Prone for an entire round and they can't stand up from it. Lets your whole party wail on them.
>>
>>54336996
>removing weapon draw limits for the knife chucker is the same as coming up with a "simple" HP casting system
wow please stop posting any time

If you want forbidden knowledge, take the Hermit background and interact with your DM to figure out what it should be. You don't need mechanical bullshit to support every facet of you character, this isn't 3.5.
>>
>>54337406
>Interesting lies you tell yourself to sleep at night.
Orcs, kobolds and other monsters are all evil, no exception.
>>
File: 1499971162551.jpg (30KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
1499971162551.jpg
30KB, 387x580px
>>54337659
Here anon use this
>>
File: Nilobg-5e.jpg (197KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Nilobg-5e.jpg
197KB, 1200x1650px
>Level 5 party
>Have an established Homestead, haven't left the Hex all campaign
>Have one campaign defining plotline that hasn't come to the forefront yet, and half a dozen smaller adventures that seem like great hooks
>A Mind Flayer is rallying an army to assault the surface! Better check it out!
>There's a Hag Coven in town, and people are mysteriously dying in their sleep! Better snoop around!
>There's a motherfucking Copper Dragon here in disguise! Why? Lets go to his lair and talk to him, he likes us!
>There's a Goblinoid Swarm amassing an army just outside the Hex's area! We even fought with them before! Better alert the local militia
>Half of the last session was everyone walking around town shopping and RPing Downtime activities
>Session ends after just one combat encounter
Everyone's having fun and I'm enjoying DMing, but goddamn guys at least try and follow through with some quests.
>>
Paladin oaths and Warlock pacts seem to clash a lot in terms of flavour. Aside from Oathbreakers and Ancients+Archfey, I don't know how to fluff up those two classes together.
>>
>>54337767
then dont you fuckin minmaxer
>>
>>54337767
Conquest+Fiend
Any Oath + GOO
Crown + any lawful Patron
>>
Have you ever played a character who is keeping a significant secret from the party?

I have an idea for a character in a low magic setting. Officially my character is a surgeon/doctor but at night he digs up bodies for his anatomical research. Basically my character is a cross between Victor Frankenstein/Joseph Mengele.

He's not doing it openly because it's heavily frowned upon and illegal. He has his social standing to think about.

But I'm not sure how to roleplay that
>>
Is grappling actually worth it or is it just a meme?
Assuming I'm using a full grappling build
>>
>>54337877
You can have a lot of fun, like drowning pirates in the see by jumping off the ship
>>
>>54335135
How do you solve the "everyone wants to play D&D but nobody wants to be the DM" dilemma?
>>
>>54337744
Make peace with it, if it has nearly to no story and everyone enjoys it, why change that?

And if you really want your plot to play a role, then don't force too much of it on them with the risk of the campaign becoming less fun

Maybe think of a modified plotline, that starts in the city with a quest, that first doesn't seem to be part of something bigger. Or think of a way the plot may affect the city they're currently in as the plotlines evolve. That would let your world seem more real and also put your players in the place of growing urgency to do something
>>
>>54337907
DM yourself
>>
>>54337682
Sure, a kobold would stab you for your gold if given the chance.
But if your response to that is "I'm going to go seek out kobolds who aren't currently harming anybody so that I can stab them for their gold," then I'm not sure you're any better than they are.
>>
>>54337937
I'm going to seek gold and stab the monsters that get in my way, combat is a last resort though, you first talk, then fight them if they stay in the way.

Also, where do you think the kobolds got their gold to begin with?
>>
>>54335135
William Hook, a simple peasant working long days baling hay and harvesting crops which made him a very strong boy indeed, armed only with his trusty Billhook and a can do attitude he's my most simple and one of my most fun DnD characters I've played.
>>
File: 1439445860049.png (3KB, 188x128px) Image search: [Google]
1439445860049.png
3KB, 188x128px
>>54335135

If I worry constantly about being the "That Guy", does that make me not the "That Guy?"
>>
>>54337649
What makes you think they can't stand up from it?
>>
>>54337934
but I don't want to either
>>
>>54338015
They trigger an AoO, you hit them and use tripping attack to knock them prone. Sentinel sets their speed to 0, so they can't get up. They have to end their turn still on the ground.
>>
>>54337907
that's the dumbest question i've read here and i've survived the 8 INT wizard
>>
>>54338035
So don't complain, why do you think you the right to complain about others when you don't to do it yourself? Coming here won't change the situation
>>
File: gwf on 2d6.png (32KB, 812x612px) Image search: [Google]
gwf on 2d6.png
32KB, 812x612px
>>54337630
Yeah, GWF is only meaningful with Greatswords, where it really skews the 2d6 curve towards higher values.

But you can't use greatswords with PAM, so optimal is a halberd/glaive + defensive. You only really have a case for greatswords on Bladelocks and Barbarians, the former because they have Hex to move around with their Bonus Action and their ASIs are all in high demand, and the latter if they're multiclassing Champion to boost their crit chances.
>>
>>54337649
It's as good as it sounds.
>>
>>54337729
Thanks duder but I'm role-playing as a phoneposter pleb today.
>>
File: 1500138306557.png (486KB, 614x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1500138306557.png
486KB, 614x1042px
>players start arguing and planning their next step out of character
>actually can't think of a single time they spoke in character and weren't playing this like a video game
>>
File: Robina_new.png (133KB, 566x953px) Image search: [Google]
Robina_new.png
133KB, 566x953px
>>54337973
>Also, where do you think the kobolds got their gold to begin with?
>>
>>54337992
No, That Guy is generally unconcerned whether or not he is That Guy.
>>
File: 14456856339.jpg (103KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
14456856339.jpg
103KB, 600x426px
>>54337973
>where do you think the kobolds got their gold
>>
>>54337992
>>54338199
I did have a That Guy in my party who tried not to be That Guy. He was worried about his sperginess but still had some things he'd overlook, resulting in That Guy status.

>>54338035
Be the change you want to see in the world.
>>
File: 1489081076642.jpg (193KB, 443x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1489081076642.jpg
193KB, 443x1024px
My party is finishing up sunless citadel and they want to bring meepo with them for the rest of the campaign

I'm fine with it, but how should people be reacting to them having a kobold wandering around with them
>>
>>54338249
What if I want the world to be on fire?
>>
>>54338277
Then you're welcome to lighting yourself on fire anon.
>>
>>54335135
Most of my fighters are commanders, strategist, or stylish fighters.
>>
Tome of Beasts mentions a Harbinger of Blood. I was thinking of using it in my campaign since it mentions him as a prophet for mass destruction and spilling of blood. He also can create Red Hags if someone is willing. I was going to use Red Hags as sort of a precursor to encountering the Harbinger who speaks of a Demon Lord coming to the material plane. Is his ability to cause exhaustion something too strong? I thought it was an interesting mechanic but he can exhaust the PCs to death. He can destroy nonmagical armor and has immunity to piercing damage. Overall, I like the unique mechanics and story usage of him but he seems like he has too many things going on at once. What do you guys think?
>>
>>54338263
My group had the same idea but in a different context. Regardless, I try to bring it up a lot in social interactions, thieves guilds and other lowlives usually don't mind, but merchants, nobles and academic sorts react unfavorably and demand explanations from the party.
>>
>>54335135
Noble dick with a heart of gold.
>>
Considering creating a feat option or magic item or some sort of solution for a player that wants to be able to rely on Holy Water flasks for more damage/utility against undead/fiend enemies, but I'm not sure how to go about it without making it too powerful. Any adbice?
>>
>>54335710
Hey, nice.
>>
>>54335710
That's exactly what I was looking for dude, thank you.
>>
>>54338597
>>54338667
Sure! I was hoping someone would find it useful.
>>
>>54337546
Feat tax has an incredibly simple fix: Give it for free and suddenly there's no longer any feat tax.

>>54337659
>Implying it's as simple as removing weapon draw limits
>implying HP casting systems can't be as simple as 'max HP is your spell points on the spell point casting system'
>implying hermit covers forbidden knowledge when it's 'a discovery that gives your character a reason for being' rather than 'you automatically succeed int checks related to eldritch things'
>>
I want to make a NPC that thinks he is reading minds via telepathy but he is in fact just hearing voices in his head. he thinks he's on to something big but doesn't know how to communicate back via telepathy so he just blurts shit out in response to the voices in his head that he thinks are the PC

what are some good ideas for what he hears in his head that he blurts out a response to?
>>
>>54338560
Holy water flasks are 25gp (or require 25gp worth of materials to make). That hardly seems cost effective
>>
>>54338888
>Implying there's anything else to do with money in 5E.
>>
File: 86e4ef69bdb7ac31b5a7ab6705cf8773.jpg (949KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
86e4ef69bdb7ac31b5a7ab6705cf8773.jpg
949KB, 1920x1080px
What class would this character be?
Going V.Human and picking up Tavern Brawler level 1 so I can proficiently cave people's skulls in with my rock
>>
>>54338919
Fair enough. Maybe just let him add his cha modifier to whatever damage the PHB says holy water flasks do and let him use the cha for the ranged attack modifier. If it ends up being too OP just talk to him and explain why you need to tweak it
>>
>>54338951
I mean if it's a pet rock, I kinda think the character should get proficiency with it from his background. So the feat would be unnecessary.
>>
>>54338951
Ranger
Make it your pet
>>
>>54338989
>I mean if it's a pet rock, I kinda think the character should get proficiency with it from his background
are you retarded
>>
>>54338812
>Feat tax has an incredibly simple fix: Give it for free and suddenly there's no longer any feat tax.

My god, why didn't I think of this before?

Oh, right, because it doesn't fix the fundamental issue of 2h and Hand Crossbows being much, much stronger options than anything else.

In fact, giving these feats for free makes them even stronger.
>>
>>54339008
at least they have a choice now
>>
>>54338989
>>54338999
I forgot to mention, the shirtlessness is a necessity. So I either need mage armor or unarmored defense
>>
>>54339030
No they don't?

They could choose to use a heavy crossbow when they have crossbow expert, sure, but it makes literally no sense to do so. You're missing out on an entire extra attack by making that choice.
>>
>>54339030
No - the point is that there's no choice because these are the weapon types that are optimal.

Their only downside is costing a feat - and your simple 'fix' is removing that downside.
>>
>>54338812
>>54339030
Jesus you're retarded, refer to >>54337729
>>
>>54339060

Does the bonus attack work when you're just holding the one hand crossbow? The language suggests you'd need an already loaded hand crossbow, and while the feat removes the loading quality, I'm a little confused if you can reload, then use the hand crossbow, or if I need another one handy.
>>
File: 3291-15364-29609.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
3291-15364-29609.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>54335186
>>
File: 27558-1920-1443.jpg (44KB, 480x662px) Image search: [Google]
27558-1920-1443.jpg
44KB, 480x662px
>>54335710
Great, great resource. Do we have the best fatguys or what, folks?
>>
>>54339188
Loading the ammunition happens as part of the attack (See the blurb under 'Ammunition' in chapter 5). Technically your crossbow could be empty going into battle and you could still fire it.
>>
>>54339188
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats

If you make an attack with a one-handed weapon, *any attack with a one-handed weapon*, you get to fire a loaded Hand Crossbow you're holding. This has nothing to do with the Loading quality.

So you can attack with a rapier, then use your bonus action to attack with the loaded HC you're holding in your other hand.

Normally, reloading a weapon is part of its attack, however, you need a free hand to reload a weapon, as per the Ammunition errata:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf

So in this scenario, you'd then need to drop or sheathe your rapier if you wish to reload your HC for another shot.

*However*, a Hand Crossbow is a one-handed weapon. So if you're using a Hand Crossbow, and your other and is free, you can attack as many times as you can with your Action *and* it'll be ready to go for Crossbow Expert, as attacking with the HC also satisfies its own condition to grant a Bonus Action attack.
>>
>>54335785
Future tech = magic powers
Laser gun = eldritch blast, etc.
>>
How do you all deal with meta-gaming as a player?
>>
>>54339282
As in avoiding the urge to metagame or what to do when other players at the table are metagaming
>>
What makes Great Weapon Master so good? I've only played low level 5e so i'm not getting all the flak
>>
>>54339311
+10 damage is crazy good. That's basically all there is to it.
>>
>>54339188
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: removing the loading quality treats it like a shortbow. You can therefore use it in the same way. You also cannot go akimbo, so dual-wielding handcrossbows won't work. Not that there would be a mechanical benefit as CBE is better than TWF.
>>
File: 1451682669744.png (149KB, 302x287px) Image search: [Google]
1451682669744.png
149KB, 302x287px
>>54339260
>Lucky turns disadvantage into super advantage
>>
>>54339311
Flat damage is very good and because of bounded accuracy a -5 to hit isn't very much.
>>
>>54339310
What to do when other players are metagaming.
E.g.
>Party dynamic is fine and everyone talks to one another
>X character is evil and decides to poison a well during his watch in the night
>Party is suddenly really interested in what X character is doing despite not having any knowledge of the act being committed
>everybody is rolling insight, perception and whatever else they can think of to find out what X character did
How do you combat this without DM help?
>>
>>54339311
By itself, it's rather strong. At low levels, you can essentially double your damage if you take a penalty to hit.

It only starts to get ridiculous when people start getting Extra Attack and bonus action attacks (by pairing it with PAM). So when you hit 5th level, you've got 2d10+1d4+39 damage.

Sharpshooter combined with Crossbow Expert is where it gets even worse, since the Archery fighting style makes the penalty less important. You take a slight damage penalty in exchange for not having to get close to targets and exposing yourself to the danger that entails.
>>
>>54337286
Speaking of being confused as to how the fuck a sorc is supposed to play
i am currently playing a sorcerer as it fit my concept really well
went a phoenix fire sorcerer cause it interested me
i just wish i had gone wizard at this point
we have a small group 2 players 1 dm so they tend to be story focused with only 1-2 encounters a session
but holy fuck do sorcerers have so little utility and options to actually get utility that its maddening
me and my dm agreed to give me 2 spells every level so that i could at least fucking get more then just damage spells without completely sacrificing first level spells for a bit of utility
So in short
How the fuck is a sorc supposed to play? are they supposed to be more boring wizards with less cool spells?
>>
>>54339311

For a 5 to hit penalty, it grants a +10 damage bonus, per hit. The to-hit penalty does hurt it, but it's not enough of an offset for it not to be just about the single biggest damage-per-round boost you can purchase.

And it also gives you a Bonus Action attack when you deal a critical or kill a creature, boosting your overall damage potential further.

This would be very strong on its own, especially on classes like Barbarian and Battle Master who have easy ways to offset the to-hit penalties, but then it synergizes with another feat, Polearm Master, to give truly absurd damage boosts.

An archetype-less fighter using a Halberd/Glaive in conjunction with GWM & PAM does about 40% more damage than any other feat/weapon selection for it. As in, every other combination of options is more or less even, and then GWM+PAM is 40% above that line.

So then, if you're a melee fightingman, and your only purpose in combat is to deal HP damage, this is the clear cut best choice. You can't argue about sword & board because it's just 1 AC versus 40% more damage, and dual-wielding is the same as using one weapon but worse in every single way.

And this applies about the same to Barbarians, Rangers and Bladelocks.

Sharpshooter + Crossbow Expert using Hand Crossbows is the same situation but ranged instead of melee. The synergy between those two feats and that weapons make it stand heads and shoulders above other ranged weapon options.
>>
>>54339487
You need to talk with them out-of-character and make them realize that there's no reason for their characters to be acting that way.

Now, if the DM knew what he was doing, he would have the evil character make a deception check to not act suspicious. If he rolled a 7, the DM would say that you can tell he's done something, you just don't know what. THAT would rightly prompt all the insight checks and whatnot.
>>
>>54337800
>Lawful patron
Fiends are the only one i can see fitting this
GOO's are so otherwordly i dont think they fit our alignment system and if they do they fall on the chaotic side
and as little as i know about fey as in 5e they feel very weridly tacked on and not mentioned very much (anybody know why this is?) arent they all like kid nappers and lords of nature and shit?
>>
>>54337816
i get why you put it in low magic as to justify the kinda normality of it in the terms of fantasy
But think about it this way
If the party is almost 100% more likely to do more fucked up shit to just try and get a bit of loot then your character is keeping from the whole of society
Try a little harder to have a big secret
>>
>>54339555
>Fiends are the only one i can see fitting this
Undying from SCAG can fit too
>>
>>54339008
Then just give them half the feats and suddenly the feat-users are weaker and the not-feat-users are stronger???

And give appropriate parts of feats to different weapons. Longswords can rip from the sword mastery feats and maul can use the +10 part of a feat and greatsword can use the cleave part of the feat and whatever the fuck.

Wow, that was hard.
>>
>>54335359
>CHA-focus, invocations, cantrips, pacts and their spell list provide utility.
What's the difference between this utility and what you're referring to as "support"?
Genuinely curious, I do not have a lot of 5e experience.
>>
>>54335359
>People see full spell progression and think 'short rest wizard!'. They're not. They are magical martials
This is mainly because of their shit (and small) spell list and the fact that they "waste" spell slots with spells that doesn't scale with level (like shield). If you use the spell points variant rule and add more spells to their list they can actually become a short rest wizard.
>>
>>54339607
oh fuck yeah forgot about them
But they hold the secrets to eternal life which i believe the life/death/nature/most other gods find as a big no no
i assume that in every world the second you start disobeying the rule of "everything dies eventually" you might be no longer lawful
>>
>>54336716
>Point 3 applies almost verbatim to Sorcerers, too. "They are so much worse than Wizards!" say people who try to play them as if they were wizards.
What are sorcerers supposed to be?
>>
>>54339636
I think he means spells that would help allies directly in terms of combat buffs, like a Sorcerer twinning Haste on 2 martials, or Wizard casting Polymorph on the Barbarian.
>>
>>54339699
It's never even occurred to me to try the spell point variant for Warlock. What spells would you add to the list?

>>54339716
Specialists to the Wizard's generalist.
>>
>>54339501
Okay, well, first: Phoenix Sorcerer sucks.

Second, what Sorcerers have for utility is their cantrips (they get more than anyone else) and a few spells. A few, because realistically, only 1 or 2 spells per level are 'the best', so you take those and the rest is just broad strokes utility.

You're not a wizard. You're not a swiss army knife. You don't have a large list of spells and rituals for every situation.

Third, then, what is Sorcerer? Sorcerer is a combat mage. You buff. You blast shit.

Tough fight coming up? Twin Haste - bam! Fighter and Barbarian just got twice as good.

Enemies clustered together? Quicken Fireball bam! Enemies still alive? Twinned Fire Bolt bam!

Just one to fuck one enemy? Quicken Fire Bolt bam! Normal Fire Bolt double bam! Repeat until it dies.

They're fire immune? Eat shit, Twinned Hold Person. Heightened Hold Moster. Get fucked baddies. Bam!

Fight's over? Consume slots, refill Spell Point bar, smoke trees. Ready to go for the next fight.

So yeah, what does a Sorcerer do? You open encounters with a Concentration spell, and the rest of the fight you deal damage while consuming your SP as appropriate with Quicken and Twinned cantrips. Then you turn your slots into SP so you can do it all over again next fight.

Bards, Wizards? They play 'support' and cast fancy spells every turn. You're a Sorc, you don't give a shit how those nerds play, you exist to deal damage.

And that's why Draconic and Stone are the best Sorcerer archetypes.
>>
>>54339803
>specialists to the wizards generalist
What
Do you know what happens for a wizard when he hits level 2
He picks a specialization
Now i understand that unlike in the old editions they dont block you off from a whole school of spell craft for picking its opposing school
But all wizards are "Specialist" they all get bonuses for using the magic they fucking specialize in
>>
>>54339803
>Specialists to the Wizard's generalist.
I dunno, if the sorcerer is spending points with metamagic, then the wizard has effectively more spells each day than the sorcerer, so they can cast more and be better on the long run
>>
>>54339832
wow that is the single gayest shit in existence
if i wanted to play a class that is almost 100% useless in a narrative sense besides having charisma as its fucking main stat id just play a fucking game where all i do is shoot things until they die
the fun part about wizards is never combat its always using your spells in fun ways out of combat
What a hilariously fun class that is "look at me i did 56 damage to your 14 goblins"
>>
Did they finally rerelease spell cards?
>>
>>54339832
>you don't give a shit how those nerds play, you exist to deal damage.
Although Sorcerers have better burst, Wizards deal more damage because they have more slots. Quickening cantrips is a inefficient way to spend SP
>>
>>54339885
So sorcerer is not for you, some people just want flashy spells like fireball
>>
I was innawoods for a week and missed it; could someone summarize the shitstorm in /5eg/ over Greyhawk Initiative?
Thnx.
>>
>>54339939
Kinda hard to swap off of it since my character is meant to be from a tribal background now adapted to society
kinda fucked my dude
>>
>>54339342
Its almost as if you got lucky on the 1 in a million no way you can make it shot
>>
>>54339885
I know, right? It's the same shit with barbarians and fighters and rangers and monks and paladins and warlocks. All they do is deal damage.

And then we have Bards and Druids and Clerics and Wizards, classes focused on the spellcasting system, which as you might've figured out, sidesteps the mechanics of 80% of the system to give players direct narrative control.

So what's the conclusion to draw here? That if you don't want to play a DUNGEONcrawler, don't fucking use DUNGEONS and Dragons Fifth Edition. Or if you do, only play a Rogue or true Caster. Or a Bard, which is both things fucking combined.
>>
>>54340003
>I know, right? It's the same shit with barbarians and fighters and rangers and monks and paladins and warlocks. All they do is deal damage.

not true, rangers can pick berries as well
>>
>>54339885
sorcerers also have a very, very different theme and feeling to them than wizards.
i mean i do believe that they are lesser wizards, in a way, and it's a shame - but they're just not the same "characters", and that's kinda what being another class should be about.
if you cant use the "sorcerer" theme efficiently, that's more on you than anything.

in any case i believe they fucked up a bit when making the class. the feel of "i don't understand magic, but i do know it" should have been pushed harder. and that meta magic shoulda been better - probably with subclass related "free" meta magic.
your DM can help with that.
>>
>>54339944
"We waited a month for this? REEEEEEEEE"
>>
>>54340003
yeah i figured i was a fag for playing pure casters clerics and wizards 90% of the time
But holy fucking shit like a party of fighters can come up to a impass in conversation and not be able to do anything about it and just get fucked
Meanwhile a party of wizards gets like 5 fucking "Save or be my friend" tries at the shit
A party of fighters has to travel over foot untill a wizard companion is nice enough to set up some sort of teleporter for them
A party of wizards can just set those up them selves
>>
>>54340060
And a party of Wizards would be lucky to make it to level 5 without getting killed
>>
>>54340025
Thats the thing my character is themed to be a sorcerer as per >>54339953
my character was born into a tribal village at the same time a volcano erupted (usually how i script sorcerers as getting elemental based powers is some great event aligning with their birth) his village destroyed and his tribe scatterd reformed as a hunter gather group not knowing much of outside civilization
for about 15 years he stayed with them and were almost constantly a nuisance on their supplies at one point even burning many weeks worth of food on accident
After a hunting trip he came back to the camp to find it gone he searched for 2 years but to no avail
after that he wandered for a long long time about 10 years not knowing much not knowing what happens to his people learning his power and all that
and he came out of character creation like that still trying to find his place in the world a wanderer built to wander
It makes 0 sense for him to be any other classes yet its still annoying as fuck that sorcerer is just a battle mage with the outside combat abilities of a wet napkin
>>
Who's the best Fireball slinger? Evocation Wizard or Sorcerer?
>>
>>54340060
It's Combat as Sport vs Combat as War.

Full Casters are so-so balanced from a CAS perspective. It's far from perfect or even in the same ballpark, but the intention is there, you can see it without having to squint.

When it comes to CAW, though, they're God-Kings compared to martials, as they don't even have to engage with the skill system - they don't even have to roll. They just say "I cast Bypass Obstacle" and reality either bends to their will or your DM is a douchebag for not letting them use their class abilities.

Yeah...
>>
>>54337183
Lawful neutral as fuck. At least, the clones and majority of others. Just dudes keeping the peace in a chaotic and dangerious galaxy. The rebels are only one threat to stability and order.
>>
>>54340168
On paper, Sorc. In practice, Evoc.
>>
>>54340193
Is there any real information on the Rebel Alliance? Considering Han Solo is a fucking SMUGGLER and has connections with all kinds of people such as the Hutts who are into the galactic drug trade and human trafficking, etc. it seems that the Alliance is composed of a weird mix of legitimate terrorists, criminals, and idealists.
>>
>>54340176
i had CAS and CAW explained to me in the past once but i have almost totally forgotten it if somebody doesn't mind a short explanation would help
>>
>>54340168
Burst? Sorc
Overrall? Wiz
>>
Will I gimp myself playing choosing any patron other than fiend? Fiend seems so much better than the others...
>>
>>54340262
In burst they can do a firebolt as a cantrip and a fireball as an action and that's barely worth it.
>>
>>54340233
That's pretty much it. And their government in the movies apparently just made the galaxy unstable and weak. My guess is an unorganized mashup of what you said and special interests/appeasing stuff for every little cause with a lobbyist.

How could they possibly miss the buildup of a weapon several factors larger and more dangerous than a legendary Death Star? The sheer incompetence alone makes them the worse option for your average galactic civvie.
>>
>>54340302
They can also convert SP to spell slots on a bonus action, spell recovery for Wizards take a whole short rest, and Twin spell is definitely strong.
>>
>>54340233
Initally, yes the Alliance took steps to become a legitimate government as time went on. By Rouge One, the Alliance had denounced their more extreme factions and had organized into a military command structure. Soldiers (including Luke) took orders from their commanding officer and their commanding officer took orders from the Alliance High Command.
>>
>>54340355
Holy shit shut the fuck up you gigantic retard, literally nobody asked you about ANYTHING

God I'm gonna fucking SCREAM if one more fucking mentally impaired mongoloid replies to me
>>
>>54340327

To be fair, they were attempting to restore the Republic, which was already a laughably ineffectual political body, and had to do so with the support of some very uncooperative interests and without the Imperial Navy. Guys like Borsk Fey'lya fought them on every turn for a bigger slice of the pie, criminals and other elements went hog-wild without the Empire to scare them, and of course, the Imperial Remnant wasn't giving up the ghost any time soon.
>>
>>54340535
wat?
>>
>>54340583
Not that the Empire was any better. Palpatine's hand picked lackeys had control of every system and the plan was to blow up any planets that disagree. The entire Empire was being warped to fulfill Palpatine's twisted power fantasies.
>>
>>54340261
Combat as Sport is wanting the challenge, testing your mettle against an enemy that can put up a fight. It doesn't necessarily have to be an even playing field, but it's about the exercise of your options, planning your moves and coming up with tactics. Like descending down a monster's den to best the creatures within it, using your Rogue to scout ahead, bringing the appropriate weapons and having prepared the right spells, moving in formation to protect the softer members of the party and when possible, using the element of surprise to tip the odds in your favor.

Combat as War, on the other hand, is embracing the philosophy that anything goes. You don't want matched encounters. You want to best the enemy with as little risk to yourself as possible, and that calls for either making sure you never have to fight, or that if you do, it's in circumstances that overwhelmingly favor you.

So in the above example, the party redirects a river to flood the den.
>>
>>54340701
i dont think ive ever heard of a game explicitly being combat as sport
I awalys use and my dm uses combat as war which means we typically find a way to hurt the enemy before battle if its required
>>
>>54340583
Exactly. They were flawed from the get-go, fighting for a cause that could only really work well in their delusional heads.

The old republic fell because it was a system easily exploited and disunified. Republics don't just come into existence on their own and work out well, they come from an expansive, authoritarian power slowly being softened over time after they've done all the dirty shit that paves the way for a stable and strong society.

If nations are people, then adolesence is small-time petty disorganized tribalism, vigorous youth is all that aggressive conquest and colonialism and all that terrible stuff, and modern liberal democracy is retirement where you settle down into some nice stability and then slowly decay into a (hopefully gracious) death. That's not a condemnation of republics and democracies, that's just their place in the big picture.
>>
Someone in my game wants to play the Naga from PSA. How do I fix the on hit restrain so it isn't broken as fuck? Because it seems broken as fuck
>>
I let my players get a little too free with their homebrewed crafting and altering of weapons. It started with the Alchemist wanting to change a portion of his crossbow to fire potions for either higher accuracy or maybe extra damage, which I liked the fluff of so I okayed it. Fast forward to last session and our Bard (who's one of those play MMOs for 18 hours a day kind of That Guys) throws a fit because I tell him he can't cut off the tails of Displacer Beasts and fashion them into a whip so he can have a +6 to hit 1d6+4 + 1d6 damage because it's stupid. Any way I can bring my players back in-line? I'm ok with custom stuff but I feel like they try to hard to have me make them horribly overpowered or Godmode which isn't how we agreed on running things.
>>
>>54340756
Not exactly. The US was a republic from the start. Rome was a highly effective Republic until Ceasar sized power. I'd say there's another model - at youth a nation is just people working thing out. As it grows, it becomes representative. However, a sufficiently tramautic event can disrupt this natural order and an authoritarian state emerges. The authoritarian state is an unbalance in the natural order, it will soon collapse under its own weight.
>>
>>54340823
You fix it by smacking the player upside the head with the PHB. He can roleplay his snek fantasy online like the rest of us.
>>
>>54340667

Very true. Sheev's biggest failing was his inability to see past his own megalomania, and he fell into the Sith trap of acting against his own interests for the sake of being evil.
>>
>>54340855
>Not exactly. The US was a republic from the start
After existing as a colony of a monarchy that paved the way for it's existence. The US was an extension of the British Empire.

>Rome was a highly effective Republic
Rome was much, much closer to an authoritarian oligarchy in modern terms than a republic as we'd call it today.
>>
>>54340823
>letting people play monsters
Only acceptable in a party of monsters
orks and goblins are at least still close to humans and have similar desires
>>
We're a battlemaster fighter, arcane trickster rogue, light cleric and GOO warlock playing in OotA, what's our survivability going to be like?
>>
>>54340902
>>54340885
Its a custom setting 2-3 session game. I'm not too worried about monster races
>>
>>54340823

Maybe replace it with proficiency on grapple checks? They already have a natural weapon with bonus poison damage, they probably don't need a second, especially not one that inflicts Restrain on hit.
>>
>>54340925
Perfectly fine. That's a balanced party.
>>
>>54340925

Seems like a solid group.
>>
>>54339847
>He picks a specialization
Wow now I can scribe spells real fast and for cheaper. The features they get don't penalize them on spell selection, and the benefits you get from the school don't give you a huge incentive to use their spells. Every Wizard will be able to cast Fireball, Fly, Hypnotic Pattern, Wall of Force, etc. They can pick all the spells they need without having to worry about versatility.
>>
If I choose the dueling Fighting style for my Fighter, will I still get my +2 to hit if I have my longsword and shield out?

Basically, does using a shield count as another weapon being held?
>>
>>54341051
Yes, you get the +2 even if you have a shield. A shield is not a weapon.
>>
>>54341065
>>54341066
Thank you so much for the clarification.
>>
>>54341025
>Literally said this let me resay it for you
>Unlike in old editions you are not fucking shut off from a whole other section of magic cause of your specialization
>But you get more bonuses for casting stuff within your specialization
Don't remember saying "MY GOD CONJURATION WIZARDS FUCKING SUCK AT CHUCKING FIREBALLS"
>>
>Join a group
>One player wants to be a Warlock
>Patron is "his waifu"
>DM encourages it
How fast should I run away?
>>
>>54340355
You can't twin fireball, though.

There's barely any difference between 'needs to use bonus actions to make fireballs from SP' and 'needs to have a short rest for it'
>>
>>54341077
Ignore the first anon I was stupid
>>
>>54341079
Therefore they're generalists. If you're unable to understand that wizards are, from a mechanical standpoint, the most generalistic caster when compared to a Sorcerer, that's not my problem.
>>
>>54341086
As fast as your legs can carry you

Run and run and don't look back
>>
>One of the the players of the game I'm in is a dragon cursed to be a human
am I hitting special snowflake territory?
>>
>>54340963
>>54340979
Huh, we just lucked into being a solid, balanced party. Damn, thanks bros.
>>
>>54341131
Is the dragon Tiamat's cousin
>>
>>54341131
Delving deep into it, by this point.
>>
>>54341131
Yes. You know he'll try to force the game to be centered around his curse / himself
>>
How many house rules is too many?
>>
What makes a balanced party in a combat setting?
>>
>>54341155
When you get to a point where you are/should be playing a different system
>>
>>54341165
Generally you want;
Wizard or bard

Then everyone else can pretty much do what they want
>>
>>54335380
a scarred ranger that religiously keeps an aberration-bane dagger on his person at literally all times because "feckin mimics"
>>
>>54337744
holy shit thats so similar to my current one.
I solved this by cutting the quest lines and streamlining them so theyre completable in a 4 - 5 hour session while also being attention grabbing.

Had a corrupted angel that promised power to the thieves guild for one of them, it was feeding off the anguish and spilled blood that the riots produced; the guild would cause these. for a meme had a karl marx character in there that got his head lobbed off in the riots. the quest was quite streamlined with them finding clues on corpses or using spells to interrogate or probe peoples minds. they scouted and found the angel that had a huge flaming sword and they quickly got the paladin order the pally of the group was from and they clashed with the guild while the party fought the angel. Would have only been 3-4 hours for the whole mini quest line. My major goal is to have minimal book keeping and resolve everything asap so that way a sense of progression is had while not adding monotonous artificial difficulty to artificially lengthen shit.
>>
>>54335359
honeslty I don't understand groups that don't have short rests.
like, when do your character's eat?
>>
how should i go about trying to make my players play more carefully, planned and efficiently?

i've been a player in this group for a while, and while it's been a fairly good time all around so has it also been pretty easy, and now that im taking over the DMing so have the others asked me to make it a bit more engaging/difficult.

and while it might sound strange, so do i kinda want to nudge them towards playing the game like a SWAT team, or atleast something close to it.

what would be the best way to go about this? early in the game being a bit overly generous with surprise rounds, letting them be able to plan ahead of combat while making the rest of the combat unproportionally hard? maybe give them some magical items to nudge them into tactical thinking, in that case, what are some examples of such items?
>>
>>54341319
They chomp on some stale bread while travelling along the road, I don't know.
>>
>>54335359
very yes. they are casters for the people who like to play martials mechanically.
>>
>>54341363
Just make encounters harder. When people are desperate, they start coming up with shit. Also, I really hope you're not using the flanking rule.
>>
File: bg[1].png (2MB, 1400x858px) Image search: [Google]
bg[1].png
2MB, 1400x858px
>>54335785
>>54335759
>>54339267
two words for you
Booster Gold
>>
>Gods of light promote the ideals of rebirth and renewal, truth, vigilance, and beauty, often using the symbol of the sun. [...]. Others are tireless sentinels whose eyes pierce every shadow and see through every deception. Some are deities of beauty and artistry, who teach that art is a vehicle for the soul's improvement.
>Clerics of a god of light are enlightened souls infused with radiance and the power of their gods' discerning vision, charged with chasing away lies and burning away darkness.
I hate this flavor, I just want to be cleric that burn things down.
>>
File: img000012[1].png (4MB, 2102x3000px) Image search: [Google]
img000012[1].png
4MB, 2102x3000px
Any other /a/nimefags here in /tg/? I'm thinking of doing a Made in Abyss campaign where my players are delvers hunting for artifacts. They'll have to deal with all the animals, opposing nations' divers/bandits, and also with the curse of the abyss while working their way from red to black rank and making forays deeper and deeper into the abyss. Think it could work out?
>>
>>54341477
As the cleric spells illustrate
Light does not equal heat
or as i like to say it
HOW THE FUCK IS IT SO HARD TO CREATE HEAT WITH JUST CLERIC SPELLS
>>
Is anyone else so worried about being a hyper optimizing power gamer that they avoid playing classes they'd like because they don't trust themselves not to overshadow the party?

Normally I funnel my optimization autism into support roles so that the party barely notices/feels like they're the ones making all the best plays. But I just want a break from support
>>
>>54341477
Be a tempest cleric and burn shit down with lightning.
>>
>>54341525
Be the best tank that ever tanked then

The most obnoxious power gamer is the one who plays a damage class and kills everything before anyone gets a chance to fight it. Just don't be that guy and everything will work out.
>>
>>54341550
>tempest cleric
Either this or War domain, I still have to decide...
>>
>>54341584
Tempest cleric pirate scourge of the sea.
>>
>>54341386
yeah, but i don't want to outright kill them, i had that problem with another group in an older campaign, where i made most encounters difficult (and a few in the "deadly" range, but not all of them) and it resulted in a teamwipe to a group of jelly cubes, because the party managed to slit up in the middle of combat and got themselves cornered. along with a few other deaths, it kinda wore down the campaign
>>
>>54335135
Ranged.
>>
>>54341605
I'd appreciate advice for this anon too, I'm also in a bit of a pickle because the party I'm DMing have follow the exact same formula, which is as soon as I even HINT that there's gonna be an encounter, everyone puts their minis outside of the room they're in, Ranger charges in and everyone hides in the doorway or kites the mobs until it dies. I've gotten around it a couple times and made things tense by having reinforcements, structural hazards and traps, etc. fuck up their planning, but having every encounter go
>Me: So as you all...
>Bard: I CAST BARDIC INSPIRATION ON MYSELF
>Ranger: I charge in
>Squishies: We run away
gets old
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 300x168px
How do Heavy/Two Handed Weapons work for a Large Creature? Same rules?

I'd imagine so, but it's odd to think of a Large Creature needing 2 hands to hold a regular sized greatsword.
>>
>>54341729
The weapons are most likely just bigger and do more damage, since they're made for Medium Creature's to wield, and would thus be much harder to use if you're bigger.
>>
>>54339336
You can fire it if it's already loaded. You reload as part of a crossbow attack. Reloading requires a free hand.

You can drop a weapon as a free action, and picking it up off the ground is your 1 free environment interaction.

So, to full attack with rapier then bonus action hand crossbow at end of turn, you start with it loaded, stab stab stab, drop your sword so you can reload, shoot/reload, then pick your sword back up.

If you imagine "picking it up" as kicking it back up into your hand with your foot, it's a very Pirates of the Caribbean maneuver.

You can also do this same technique with a shield and full attacking with the hand crossbow.

The downside is, it is vulnerable to readied actions to kick away what you dropped, and you can't move or else you'll be leaving it behind.
>>
When should I be giving out inspiration?
>>
File: bondrewd topdad.png (692KB, 1025x665px) Image search: [Google]
bondrewd topdad.png
692KB, 1025x665px
>>54341479
I think it's a good rpg setting, could be fun. How are you going to involve the curse of the abyss more meaningfully than "Okay you're going up now you feel sick."
>>
>>54339832
lore bard can get more cantrips if they spend all their bonus spells on cantrips.
>>
I'm making a Bard who was a butler before being tasked to adventure at the last request of his bedridden master, who wished to see his servant live the exciting life he couldn't have himself. I'm picking spells based on that gimmick.

My cantrips are Prestidigitation and Mending, and I have Cure Wounds and Unseen Servant as 2 of my 4 1st-level spells.

Which two of these three should I also choose: Faerie Fire, Charm Person, or Dissonant Whispers (for magical offense)?
>>
>>54339953
be a shaman wizard then.
>>
>Start watching dice, camera, action
>episode 1
>one of the girls: "I have a pet rat minion haha he is so cuwte and he has a little brain popping out haha"
>2 minutes later the other girl "I have a pet mouse haha hehe its also cute :3 I found it somewhere on the street"
>minions that are just there for fluff
holy shit this triggered me
>>
>>54341871
Goddamn are you fucking autistic.
>>
>>54341791
Oh yeah, melee+HC works. It's wonky but it works. I meant having a HC in both hands would basically let you fire one, then the second, which you drop to reload the first and fire it again as a bonus action (assuming you have the CBE+SS feats as well as Extra Attack). There's no point in doing that if you can just wield a single HC and get the same results, apart from weird flavour I guess.
>>
>>54340143
that's what summoning is for. to give you an expendable meatbag that the fighter is normally filling te shoes of.
>>
>>54341796
When players do inspiring shit.
>>
>>54341753

So how do you deal with a Primeval Guardian Ranger? With the feature he becomes large but it doesn't mention the weapons growing with him like Enlarge/Reduce, what exactly would the rules be for a "Large" creature wielding a 'normal' weapon?

I think he wants regular weapons to count as light and heavy weapons/two handed weapons to count as regular while he's large. I mean it kinda makes sense, it's not like a large tree dude would have trouble holding a greatsword meant for a human at that point.
>>
File: dwarftax.jpg (130KB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
dwarftax.jpg
130KB, 600x780px
>>54335135
Take a profession that you have to go to school for.
Append "Combat" to the start of it, in the vein of "Combat Engineer" or "Combat Medic".
>Combat Architect
>Combat Archaeologist
>Combat Marketer
>Combat Actuary
>Combat Psychologist
>Combat Chemist
>Combat Accountant
>>
>>54341916
then why are pets always ALWAYS so extremely forced whenever someone introduces it to the group?
I've not once, in years, seen a good introduction of a character and his animal companion(s)
>>
>>54341956
Because that pet is their backstory and anything interesting that player will come up with involves that pet
>>
File: 4.jpg (250KB, 1300x865px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
250KB, 1300x865px
>>54341948
>Combat lawyer
>>
>>54341956
Because it's part of their backstory and serves in roleplaying you goddamn triggered autist. If you want to keep wallowing in your autism, keep playing pathfinder.

Also, Boo is an excellent pet/animal companion of Minsc despite being literally useless.
>>
File: Pumpkinhead.jpg (206KB, 800x727px) Image search: [Google]
Pumpkinhead.jpg
206KB, 800x727px
So I'm rolling a Goblin Revised Ranger (Conclave of Beasts), and I'm not sure which weapon I should use. Would light crossbow be the optimal choice?

Also, our party, along with me, consists of a Human Paladin (Oath of Conquest), Tabaxi Mystic (Order of the Immortal), and Genasi Sorcerer (Wild Magic Origin). How fucked are we?
>>
>>54341871
Are you triggered by ideals, bonds, flaws and personality traits?
>>
>>54342013
>Boo is an excellent pet/animal companion of Minsc despite being literally useless.
Yeah because minsc isn't interrupting the game every 5 minutes to say how great Boo is and trying to force the DM into dedicating half the night to him and boo doing stupid shit when the party just wants to go back to killing Irenicus
>>
>>54342064
Sounds like you play with dickheads. I've never had a player try to make their animal companion a focus of shit.
>>
>>54342064
Is everyone else doing that or are you a fan of hyperbole?

>>54342081
Honestly he also sounds like a dickhead.
>>
>>54341838
Faerie Fire and Dissonant Whispers, and roleplay it that for Faerie Fire an enormously gaudy chandelier or similar ethereal light source envelops the area, and Dissonant Whispers has your character whisper things like "The Master never cared for you" or "You will never work again". The latter could make for some excellent RP with subjugated races and unintentional intimidation stuff, but still stay true with your servant backround.
>>
>>54342059
>>54342013
>>54341960
I've never ever seen a samefag harder then this

might as well roleplay a fucking harry potter setting where everyone gets a pet to shove up their asses
>>
>>54342064
>thinks something is autistic because he plays with autist
Bruh
If i have a war dog i expect that thing to do what it names intend
I also intend to fluff up my fucking body language quite a bit involving the dog
But if i have i dont know a fucking toad that is just a toad and thats it
Thats all its treated as
Its a fucking toad
What the fucking hell
is the fucking toad
Gonna fucking do
ITS A FUCKING TOAD
IT EXIST FOR FLAVOR
IF ITS A FAMILIAR THEN IT MATTERS ITS PROBABLY INTELLIGENT THAT SHIT DESERVES A BIT OF FOCUS
BUT IF ITS JUST A RAT
OR A TOAD
ITS FUCKING
A RAT OR A TOAD
If literally anybody in your group expects different buy them a real rat and then they can see how interesting it is
>>
>>54342057
Not particularly fucked. You're relatively rounded out in terms of role (two people with access to healing, two ranged and two melee, CHA focused characters for social interactions) so you should be fine.

And yes, LC is better than anything else since you don't have Extra Attack to play with, and it isn't heavy.
>>
>>54342116
No comeback? Yeah, you're fucking autistic as fuck.
The DCA girls haven't been using their pets as the focus of anything. Stay mad, you severely autistic fuck.
>>
>>54341728
Martial at the front, casters in the back, bard passing out boosts, engaging the enemy tactically by using the walls as partial cover.

Many DMs would kill to have players as rational and tactical as yours.

But if you really want to shake it up, obviously stop giving them doorways. Or have them become engaged long after they've passed them, like dropping down form the ceiling,or summoning in, or hiding behind things.
>>
>>54342134
>spends 3/4th of time on character introduction talking about how cute her pet rat is
>then continues to shoehorn the rat into comical xD situations
Listen I have no trouble with dwarven ranger falconers or a farmer with his shepherd hound or even a mage with a permanent floating eye with a tail that is a fragment of himself that he or she talks to to reflect thoughts, but please fuck off with your le xD cute minipets
>>
>>54342106

I like it; those two were my prime choices anyway but I felt like Charm Person is such a Bard staple.
>>
>>54342116
>People disagree with me, therefore samefag bogeyman
your autism is showing

>>54342134
Bruh rats are cute af and can do funny shit if you give them things to play with.
>>
>>54341927
you don't need one in both hands, having one in one hand and using it twice has the same effect.
>>
>>54342180
Actually, do you even have anyone to play with? Or rather, does anyone want to play with you?
>>
>>54342180
Just because Mom "lost" your pet dog because Dad left you both because he was tired of buying food for it and letting it to shit doesn't mean you gotta be like this.
>>
>>54342057
Sounds good. A Light Crossbow and a Rapier and Shield for melee is your best bet. For spells I highly recommend you DON'T get Hunter's Mark.

It has a place when being used by Deepstalkers and Hunters, but most of your attacks come from your pet so it won't really be worth it. Any ideas on what to take for your pet yet?
>>
>>54342180
Jesus christ, what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>54342180
>>>r/incels
>>
damn the americans are awake again i see
perhaps its time to go to bed
>>
>>54342180
i agree with this actually
like i said if they expect diffrent buy her a fucking rat in real life
my god its so cute and does cute things
no they bite they shit they do rat things you fucking idiot
i understand its fantasy but the animals still remain the fucking same
if you want a thing to be of actual importance pet wise
be a ranger or a wizard and get the ranger pet / find familar
then you have a reason to take up fucking 5 minutes every session on what the fuck you and your familar are doing
>>54342213
not the same guy but do you really disagree that time spent on describing how cute a rat is could be better spent in any other area of character development?
>>
>>54342238
Keep playing pathfinder if you want autism central and want autistic and crippling mechanics for every little thing.

Actually play with other people rather than just playing with yourself.
>>
>>54342248
Addendum to this besides just being a ranger or wizard to get a useful pet
Buy a actually useful pet like a war dog or a falcon
>>
>>54342238
I think it's around 8pm in Florida, which I don't know about other states times but it should mean the kids are going to bed soon at least.
>>
>>54342180
>>54342248
This is samefagging. The DCA girls have only focused on their pets in their intros, which surprise surprise is where you reveal something like that.
Their DM has made a focus on their pets though, having them doing stuff to help the party and shit, because that's what a good DM does.

Stay rectally prolapsed and severely autistic though.
>>
File: g6dwR08tRLGj-qUn1YWtEw.png (58KB, 938x710px) Image search: [Google]
g6dwR08tRLGj-qUn1YWtEw.png
58KB, 938x710px
>>54342308
>Two people dislike something i like? MUST BE THE SAME PERSON
>>
Advice for a Lore Bard? Never played one before and the sheer amount of options is a little overwhelming.
>>
>>54342325
I can only say keep being autistic so many times. Stay assblasted.
>>
>>54341956
that's because they actually introduce it.

When you meet a policeman with a K9 unit, he doesn't introduce you to his dog like it was his brother. Its name may eventually come up, but it's not part of his introduction.
Same for sane people and their pets.

The issue is is that pet classes always get played by the crazy people who WOULD introduce you to their 3 cats as part of an introduction, and spend as much time interacting with their "cute little snoogie-woogums" they're around every day as much as you during the conversation.
Typically women.

I mean, can you imagine a necromancer who stands there and introduces you to all his skeletons, and spends as much time interacting with them as he does the party?
Its kinda neat just for the novelty, as opposed to the animal thing which is really overdone, but nobody would say "yeah, that guy's totally mentally stable."
>>
File: file.png (5KB, 191x84px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
5KB, 191x84px
>>54342308
>>People disagree with me, therefore samefag bogeyman
>your autism is showing
I merely stated I take issue with a minor pet peeve and then the autism whiteknights come in and blow it up way more then it should be

I am actually enjoying the podcast now that I am a couple of handfuls of minutes into the podcast Anna/Evelyn seems to get boring fast though but that'll prob grow along with the campaign
>>
>>54342348
>Typically women.
t. virgin
>>
>>54342357
You are the only autist here though. Keep your delusions.
>>
>>54342373
I have nothing to prove but you clearly do
>>
>>54342199
That's literally what I said lol
>>
>>54342348
>can you imagine a necromancer who stands there and introduces you to all his skeletons, and spends as much time interacting with them as he does the party?
Get the fuck out of my game, reeeeee
>>
>>54342347
i want to make sure we are on the same page though
i dont know who the DCA girls are but assumed we are talking about animals somebody can literally pick up at a fucking tourist shop
You know like the example i gave a rat or a toad
Untrained literally worthless besides minor goofs and gaffs
If those are taking up 3/4 of the time spent to a character thats fucking ridiculous
If its a trained animal for instance a rat trained to pick up small objects like coins or Jewelry for a thief
or a war dog for a fighter
Those are interesting enough to have some focus
Or if they are class given things like a ranger pet or a familiar for a wizard
Again interesting enough to warrant time being given to them
is it really unreasonably to say "giving a completely untrained dull animal 3/4 of the time you have as a character is dumb and annoying"
>>
>>54342391
Lol, keep believing that my friend. From your posts alone you are severely autistic. I would suggest playing or attempting to play, if anyone allows you, with normal people.
>>
>>54336247
>>54336294
yeah what anon said. your going to be regretting not being able to communicate efficiently and it is kinda special snowflake, not "teleports behind you, nothing personal kid" tier but still.
>>
>>54342418
The DCA girls barely spent anytime introducing their pets. Why the fuck did you type out a mini treatise and what the fuck is with your weird formatting.
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 349x57px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 349x57px
>people still think it is just 1 person posting
>>
File: 1484865195693.jpg (246KB, 1600x943px) Image search: [Google]
1484865195693.jpg
246KB, 1600x943px
Post Battle Music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rh4Tv0kQww&ab_channel=TheDigimonEmperor-RETIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETTvTDRd88&ab_channel=shallowman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=map8K1mVS98&ab_channel=Lineder
>>
>>54342448
So the whole thing was blown the fuck out of proportion?
And my inability to make proper formatted sentences i apologize for
>>
>>54342448
>>54342418
The DCA girls are the ones with the pet cranium rat and mouse, they didn't spend any length of time on their pets, merely describing what they looked like. Apparently this triggered the autist because the pets were only fluff and had no mechanical benefit, and because any length of time was spent on mechanically useless pets.

This is severe autism.
>>
>>54342466
not battle music but we usually put on some Cryo Chamber ambient during our curse of stradh campaign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoiP5mBRBwc
witcher series is great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT9qK79a8SQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3pTyh_nEw
>>
>>54342494
By him. And no need, I just wasn't used to reading that weird style.
>>
>>54342494
By his hyperbole and severe autism, yes.
>>
>>54342497
then it literally doesn't matter
like i said if its just a fucking rat or just a fucking mouse
No extra tag ons they dident train it or pay money for a coin thieving rat or whatever
Then it literally doesn't matter as long as they never spend longer then 5 minutes being like "hehe xd my rat is cute af senpai"
>>
>>54342531
Apparently it really triggered him, causing him to go on a hyperbolic rant.
>>
File: Bak.png (829KB, 1554x2677px) Image search: [Google]
Bak.png
829KB, 1554x2677px
>>54342466
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCS0jBeimk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfaR8fiBzh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V9zxXN1rx0
>>
>>54342466

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXy3mYzkws

Pretty much anything from DD is good, but this is my favorite.
>>
Why is r9k leaking into my 5eg? If you want to whine about how "normies" are playing "your" game, tell it to your body pillow.
>>
File: Deck of Many Things WotC.png (3MB, 1600x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Deck of Many Things WotC.png
3MB, 1600x1136px
i dont know what should happen next. i told my players were starting this campaign in a volatile way and that their characters can potentially die in the 1st game, they agreed to play along.

>a high lvl NPC kidnaped the 1st lvl party, teleported them to a tavern in a major port city, cleared out the bar, and ripped the whole building out of the street and into a extra dimensional space.
>he told the party that if they wanted to go back home, they would have to play a game. then he pulls out a deck of many things from his pocket.
>he explains what the deck was and how its powerful magic worked. and told them that they would be transported back when every card had been drawn from the deck. and their was only enough air in this tavern to last them 24 hours.
>he carefully placed the deck on a table in the center of the room. before he could teleport away with his magic ring, the party all bumrushed him to see if they could snatch the ring from his finger.
>the rogue comes the closest with a 20 total, i felt like he deserved something. so i let him have another ring he was wearing "we haven't determined what it is yet".
>the stranger blips out of there. and the party is left alone with the deck. after some arguing,the barbarian decides to draw first.
>gets ruin, what little possessions he had to begin with crumble to dust and leave him naked. he says fuck it and draws again, gets the card that destroys all your magic items. of which he has none.
>everyone gets a little braver after they saw that nothing to bad happened to him. the halforc paladin draws, gets the gem card causing 50,000 gold worth of jewelry to fall to his feet. player seems delighted and offers to draw again. he gets gets rogue.
>i explain to him hes made a mortal enemy of someone in the material plane, but he doesn't know who. the player is more worried about the task at hand and tells the warlock to draw his first card.
>tiefling warlock draws knight...
cont..
>>
>>54342582
>>a high lvl NPC kidnaped the 1st lvl party, teleported them to a tavern in a major port city, cleared out the bar, and ripped the whole building out of the street and into a extra dimensional space.
Already off to a bad start
>>
>>54342582
>campaign starts with the party being abducted out of fucking nowhere by Jigsaw the Level 20 Wizard who throws a Deck of Many Things at them
If the rest of your story describes the table not enjoying this, save us all some time. It's pretty obvious why they wouldn't enjoy this.
>>
>>54342582
>a high lvl NPC kidnaped the 1st lvl party, teleported them to a tavern in a major port city, cleared out the bar, and ripped the whole building out of the street and into a extra dimensional space.
That's pretty much a sin of campaign starts. Very railroaded with no warning. I prefer to tell them before it's starting if they're already in some situation like that.
>>
>>54342623
>>54342623
>>54342623
>>54342623

new thread
>>
>>54342582

>Party gets kidnapped by fucking Coldsteel the Hedgeheg at level 1
>>
File: hxHhVq8.jpg (96KB, 817x914px) Image search: [Google]
hxHhVq8.jpg
96KB, 817x914px
>Say something triggers me
>Go back and enjoy the podcast
>Get attacked personally and the issue is blown to massive nucleur proportions
>Get called the autist

>>54342494
nah it was just a slight bit at the start and in the end it was more about the same type of minipet being introduced back to back

Chris handles it pretty great too

>>54342348
>I mean, can you imagine a necromancer who stands there and introduces you to all his skeletons, and spends as much time interacting with them as he does the party?

that sounds pretty great desu
>>
>>54342081
>I've never had a player try to make their animal companion a focus of shit.
They come in two flavors:

1. my animal companion is just a class feature, and will never come into roleplay. I may have forgotten to even give it a name. If its not combat relevant, I may even forget I have it entirely. i.e. Vaarsuvius of OotS.

2. Crazy cat lady. The entirety of my character is that I have a pet or otherwise interact with animals. I will draw focus to that as often as possible, and when prevented from doing so, or should any animal I care about come to harm, I will bitch and sulk bitterly, be that my companion, a deer I saw in the woods and decided was adorable, or the statless normal mouse mentioned in the Urchin background.

Interestingly enough, people that buy their animals rather than receiving them through mechanics, and cavaliers, seem to have their heads on straighter.
>>
>>54342642
You are severely autistic, because they only briefly described their pets and this triggered you.
>>54341871
>>54341956
>>
File: IMG_7031.png (1MB, 1275x727px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7031.png
1MB, 1275x727px
>>54342218
I see. I was between Beast Bond and Hunters Mark, but thought that the latter was better. I'm taking a black bear as my pet for some extra tankiness since the OP ones knock down (and give me disadvantage), and an ape isn't super thematically appropriate despite me enjoying ape antics.
>>
>>54342708
>calling that severely autistic
lol ok bud whatever makes you sleep at night
>>
>>54342369
Especially if they're someone's girlfriend, and basically only participating when they want to talk about "muh cute animals"
>>
>>54342642
It wasn't blown out of proportion, you massive autist. If you didn't want normals to play in your 5e, just say so.
>>
>>54342395
Sure it's neat the first time, but trust me you do not want that going on for anything longer than a oneshot, and even then it might get a little annoying.
>>
>>54342573
Even it won't listen anymore. I slept on the couch last night.
>>
>>54342728
Haha, you can't actually deny being massively triggered and going full severely autistic and going full retard, instead you make some bizarre shit up. It's really what's helping you sleep at night, bud.
>>
File: mm0hzdn.png (275KB, 716x245px) Image search: [Google]
mm0hzdn.png
275KB, 716x245px
>>54341945
>>
>>54342728
It's actually pretty severely autistic.
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (111KB, 543x600px) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
111KB, 543x600px
>>54342582
>>a high lvl NPC kidnaped the 1st lvl party, teleported them to a tavern in a major port city, cleared out the bar, and ripped the whole building out of the street and into a extra dimensional space.
>>he told the party that if they wanted to go back home, they would have to play a game.
>>
I'm going to take over reins as the DM tomorrow. I've never done it before and I have only a small idea of a story. What the fuck am I supposed to do
>>
>>54335135
Is it just me or is the trove down?
Thread posts: 384
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.