[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 354
Thread images: 23

Trove is kill edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54312481

Should the trove link be removed from future threads?
>>
Do any among you prefer online play to in-person play? If so, why?
>>
>>54319831
No, just post the new fucking trove
https://mega.nz/#F!8lhwhRhY!QtPgmG-SJLu8CSBEjRutqA!k0Ah0Qzb
>>
What are your opinions on the Abyssal Tiefling Unearthed Arcana?

I like it. Gives far more RP potential. I just wish they had poison resistance or similar, as the lose fire resistance.
>>
Where the fuck are the Mystic and Artificer revisions, Mike?
>>
>>54319915
leave it off so people won't share it as much
>>
>>54319831
>Should the trove link be removed from future threads?
Maybe someone with the good sense of creating a mirror of the trove should link it, if anyone did (and it's super-easy to create mirrors on Mega, literally three clicks).

Alternatively just change it to https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/ which is at least semi-permanent and is a 1:1 of the trove from a few months back, though it hasn't added any recent UAs.

>still has all the Roll20 stuff that had Meganon's trove taken down for good
I'm laffin

>>54319915
>Mageguru's garbage trove
He changes the share link often.
>>
SS fighter is superior to GWM fighter outside of damage dice, right?
>>
>>54319868
Online is a little better for DMing as you can have all of your notes and books laid out, you can play music easily, and you can manage the battle map and control what the players are aware of.

That said, nothing beats playing in-person. Players pay more attention, it's easier to establish a "mood" or "vibe" around a table, and RP is far better when you can see facial expressions and body movement.

I've done a lot of both styles from player and DM side, and I'll always choose to play in person over online if we can make it work.
>>
>>54319941
Probably. Range and higher accuracy are a bit more useful that a few points of damage
>>
what's a good mage killer build for martial?

I've been thinking about a warlock/apostate mage hunter type character for a little while now.

The mage-slayer feat seems like a given, but what else?
>>
>>54320078
Mage slayer is pretty melee focused, so depending on what you're going for it might be a bad fit despite the name. When I think iconic witch hunting man I usually think crossbow. What class were you thinking?
>>
>>54320078
Paladin, for the absurd saving throw bonus
Bearbarian, for absurd tankiness
>>
>>54319941
If you mean SS+CBE vs GWM+PAM, then they're pretty close damage wise. SS+CBE Hand Crossbow has overall better round-to-round DPR, but GWM+PAM can overcome it depending on how often it gets Reaction attacks in (which SS+CBE can't).

That said, SS+CBE has 100ft range and can start attacking immediately in combat without regards for positioning.

So it's up to you whether circumstantial damage is worth the loss of that range (hint: it isn't). GWM+PAM has 2 better AC also.
>>
>>54320106
I haven't really picked a class yet. I usually try to get a theme and personality for a character first and then I go with an appropriate class.

I was thinking more melee focus though, so probably fighter or paladin
>>
>>54320078
Mage Slayer isn't that good since they can just Misty Step away
>>
>>54320130
>GWM+PAM has 2 better AC also
Huh?
>>
>>54320143
In terms of ability to resist magic paladin would rank the highest unless you're high enough level where it might be monk. I think ancients paladins also have some sort of spell resisting feature, though I imagine that would be something of a limiting factor in character concept. If you go paladin I'd probably just get mage slayer and probably later GWM. If you go fighter I'd just get the shooty stuff and complain about mages more in character
>>
>>54320078
Shadow monk 7/warlock 2. Put down some darkness and *teleport behind* the wizard so mage slayer can kick in while having resistance against the more problematic types of spell saving throws
>>
>>54320183
The fighting style and full plate. In theory you could still pick those as a ranged guy, but there's a strength requirement for full plate, and you'd be crazy to not get +2 to hit on ranged weapons if that's all you use
>>
>>54320078
>martial mage killer
Don't bother. The best anti-mage build is a Abjuration wizard who can add proficiency to Counterspell checks.
I've also toyed with the idea of a War Cleric who pops Antimagic Field, grapples the enemy spellcaster and bashes their head in with a warhammer. The only problem is that Antimagic FIeld is an 8th level spell...
>>
File: 968_bloodartist.jpg (98KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
968_bloodartist.jpg
98KB, 620x453px
How would you refluff paladin in a way that makes it hard or even impossible to tell that the character is supposed to be a paladin?

Alternatively, what's the most creative refluffing of a class you've ever seen? I'm looking for something that makes perfect sense mechanically, but thematically doesn't resemble the base class in any identifiable way.
>>
>>54320213
Does nobody use the Great Weapon fighting style?
>>
>>54320232
Since it's an average damage increase (of max 1.33) over a flat damage upgrade, it's generally more worthwhile to take Defense and get half a shield's worth of AC over the tiniest bit of extra damage.
>>
>>54320150
>misty step
You realize that not everyone has misty step?
Hell, most NPC casters don't have misty step either.
>>
Disadvantges to having 7 str? I have a bag of holding.
>>
>>54320221
The concept of an oath is central to a paladin, if they break their oath they lose their powers. It's hard to get around that with a reflavoring.
>>
>>54320232
Beats me. On average it's probably like +2 damage with 2d6 or 1d12, but I would personally pick the armor one every time. I'm not the guy who posted the "2 better AC" part though
>>
>>54320232
It's very good on Greatswords.

Perhaps it makes sense on Barb X / Champ 3? Boost crit chance may overcome the PAM DPR advantage. I'll math it out.
>>
>>54320249
That one time you'll have to make a really important check while climbing and being easily knocked prone. Otherwise it's probably not a big deal
>>
>>54320253
That's why it's fun to think about. I think anything can be refluffed to an extent, it's just a matter of how creative you are.

I am not very creative.
>>
>>54320150
>teleport to enemy
>stab them
>they try and teleport away
>you stab them
>repeat

Wow real fucking useful, you get 3 attacks in and they burn a 2nd level to get away from you, but you're a fucking monk so you can just zip back over, you don't even need to be a shadow monk.
>>
>>54320248
Any Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock worth their salt would.
>>
>>54320249
You might actually have to start paying attention to your carry weight
>>
>>54320257
I'm the guy and it's:

Greatsword: +1.33 damage
Halberd: +0.8 damage
Greataxe: +.83 damage

+1 AC is better except arguably for GS, but those have other considerations.
>>
PAM
>While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.

War Caster
> When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature

Since you can use a quarterstaff as your arcane focus, could you combine those feats and spell an enemy that moves within 5 feet of you as an AoO?
>>
Is there any enemy where using bludgeoning damage is a bad idea?

Recently came up against some Ochre Jellies and had the nasty surprise of duplicating them with my Greatsword slash. I was thinking of subbing my Greatsword out for a Maul since it's clear we'll be fighting more jellies and oozes soon.
>>
>>54320271
>>54320307

As a Wizard, would I rather have 7 Strength or 7 Charisma? I know that Charisma is mostly for social situations, but there's also a few brutal Cha saves whereas Str isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>54320329
Yes.
>>
>>54320329
I think the best you could do is using cantrip like Green Flame Blade, or spells that specifically mention a weapon attack. You can't Power Word: Kill with it (I think)
>>
>>54320289
>Any Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock worth their salt would.

NPCs you fuckwit.
Also only Fey Patron Warlocks can have misty step.
>>
>>54320329
RAW, it would seem so.

War Caster + SCAG cantrips can get pretty busted. I guess it's even more busted now.
Note that you don't need an arcane focus to use those cantrips, either. Halberds away!
>>
>>54320349
depends on the type of character you want to play, but it's more likely that low str would be more thematically fitting than low charisma
>>
>>54320370
War Caster:
>"...you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature... casting time of 1 action... must target only that creature."
RAW, you can totally PW:K them. Or Polymorph them. Or Modify Memory them. Or a host of other silly shenanigans.

>>54320349
REALLY depends on how your DM deals with encumbrance.
>>
>>54320349
I'd probably pick 7 strength. You could easily make a case for either, but a lot of strength saves are probably close combat related (which you should be avoiding on a more direct level)
>>
>>54320386
All warlocks can have Misty Step as a bonus action, but Fey warlocks get it as a reaction to taking damage
>>
for a shelelagh paladin/warlock build, should I be strength or dex as a build up to getting the cantrip? Strength means I don't have to dump two stats, but dex will stay useful after I start using cha for everything and applies better to skills
>>
File: 1320176488254.png (17KB, 247x239px) Image search: [Google]
1320176488254.png
17KB, 247x239px
Rolling for initiative already breaks the flow of the game, doing it every round is a disaster
>>
>>54320386
Paladin gets Misty Step (Oath of the Ancients )
Sorcerer gets Misty Step
Wizard gets Misty Step
Warlock gets Misty Step
Arcane Trickster gets Misty Step (via Wizard list)
Eldritch Knight gets Misty Step (via Wizard list)
Bard gets Misty Step (via Magical Secrets)
Land Druid gets Misty Step (Coast)
>>
File: srs.jpg (3KB, 234x160px) Image search: [Google]
srs.jpg
3KB, 234x160px
>>54320386
Misty Step is on the Warlock spell list
>>
>>54320349
>tfw my Wizard has 8 Strength and 7 Charisma
It's not a big deal, really. Just don't expect to convince people through talking.
>>
>>54320392
>>54320329
>>54320422
>Be 4th-level warlock
>Be V. Human
>PAM and War Caster
>Whenever enemy approaches, use your reaction to EB them + Repelling Blast
>This build only works exactly when you're level 4
You want meme builds? We've got meme builds!

>>54320443
My group doesn't even roll initiative. The greatest benefit of this is that there's no clear demarcation between "non-combat" and "combat" interaction, which makes roleplaying way better.
>>
>>54320443
Every alternate initiative ruleset has the same two problems:

1) They take too much damn time

2) They're too much damn work for the DM
>>
>>54320431
Just pick dex and use a dex weapon until you can cast it
>>
>>54320448
vengence paladins get it too

I dunno why people were complaining about mystic being too anime when every fucking class can teleport as a bonus action several times per day like it's DBZ
>>
>>54320476
The issue is that I still need 13 strength to multiclass, meaning that with point buy/half-elf I'd have to run something like 13/16/14/8/8/16
>>
File: 1446853469013.png (260KB, 500x545px) Image search: [Google]
1446853469013.png
260KB, 500x545px
>>54320473
>My group doesn't even roll initiative. The greatest benefit of this is that there's no clear demarcation between "non-combat" and "combat" interaction, which makes roleplaying way better.
>>
>>54320329

90% yes, provided you paid the extra gold for the Arcane Focus Staff from the Adventuring Gear chart, not the cheaper one from the Weapons chart..

DMG 140 says "Unless a staff's description says otherwise, a staff can be used as a quarterstaff." Both Mearls and Crawford have said that's intentional and allowed in their games.

PAM gives you the Opportunity Attack without condition. War Caster lets you re-purpose your Opportunity Attack without condition.

The thinnest sliver of argument against is the possibility of arguing that wielding a quarterstaff isn't the same as wielding an item that can be used as a quarterstaff, which I reject both on the grounds of plain English meaning and that PAM does not capitalize quarterstaff, which is common when discussing a specific keyword instead of a word in general usage.
>>
>>54320474
Unless you don't roll at all!~

>>54320496
Honestly, don't knock it 'till you try it. I was skeptical at first too, but tried it out and the group really enjoys it.

>>54320401
I dunno mn, low charisma wizards is pretty appropriate. They can be grating and cocky like nobody's business.
>>
>>54320443

You're not wrong. >>54320474 isn't wrong, either.
>>
>>54320490
8 Wis is asking to get possessed. Go Str.
>>
>>54320474
We use a deck of cards. We put in one red card for every PC/ally and one black card for every enemy. We shuffle the cards and draw them one at a time to determine who goes next.

It's not perfect, but things run quickly. I also like the "suspense" of not knowing who is going next.
>>
>>54320431
It depends a lot on how you want to play your character.

Half Elf does nicely starting 16 STR/CHA and going Paladin until 6th (for Aura of Protection and grabbing PAM along the way) before MCing into Warlock.

Starting with 13 STR (min. required to MC) and 16 CHA means that you'll be most effective playing much as a pure Warlock would, relying on Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast, until character level 8 or so when you have Shillelagh, PAM and Extra Attack.
>>
>>54320473
That's the worst part of initiative rolling
>you see a guy lurking in the shadows
>Roll Initiative!
>suddenly everyone starts attacking, they don't even know who or what it is
>>
In general, I like to give my players warning before they enter combat. "You poke your head around the door and see a group of goblins in the next room." The problem with this is it doesnt make much sense (shouldnt the goblins see the players, too?) and penalizes sneakily scouty play. But I dont want to remove player agency by having them bumble into combat encounters they arent ready for. What do?
>>
>>54320554
So high Dex characters or characters with the Alert feat have the same chance of going first?
>>
>>54320576
Like I said, it's not perfect, but it works well enough.
>>
>>54320570
Passive perception, anon. Passive perception.
>>
>>54320473
What if you just used the same system as passive perception, everyone's initiative is more or less fixed except for +/- 5 depending on advantage/disadvantage
>>
>>54320555
The problem with this is that you have a 16 in a stat that exists to do one thing (help you murder more effectively for the first few levels) and then eventually becomes pointless outside of +1 AC if you get plate while dex makes you way more versatile and even when it stops helping you murder directly it still helps with initiative, armor and more skills
>>
>host game
>guy introduces his character like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgUhN_sF6E
what do?
>>
>>54319848
I can't say anything bad about that because I do it all the time.
>>
>>54320576
That's why I've become so off-put with initiative system changes in general. If a GM actually told me they wanted to do that at the start of the game it would be one thing, but taking steps to raise an initiative score then being presented some alternative system that doesn't take that into account is kind of frustrating. I would probably be less annoyed if it hadn't happened to me multiple times with different GMs
>>
>>54320637
Would you have 16 dex if it meant having 8 Wis though? Because that's really the question at hand.
>>
>>54320570
If they want to be warned of fights to come, they have to actually scout out for them. Any half-decent party can do this even at low levels (Invisibility, sending out a familiar, Wild Shape into something very small, or, as a last resort, send the rogue ahead a little.)

But in any case, the fight will go down almost the same way whether they see it coming or not unless you really go old-school and include monsters they have absolutely no chance of beating.
>>
>>54320660
Tell him you're going to the store to get cigarettes and never come back
>>
>>54320691
I'm not him, but probably. Paladin has a bonus on saving throws anyway and it sounds like it makes things more interesting if you do end up failing the save.
>>
>>54319471
Yimrith, even in giant form, has a fucking dragon horn. Have they see a blue dragon horn before or something. Drop hints that the murder and capture was an inside job.

>>54320347
Blunt weapons are superior. You don't get this kind of bullshit, and you wreck skellies.
>>
>>54320443
>Rolling for initiative already breaks the flow of the game
Only if the DM isn't very good at pacing and keeping the game moving.
>>
>>54320559
Exactly. Sometimes a scene is more complex than "you're not fighting" followed by "you're fighting." Initiative draws an artificial line that ruins a lot of narratives.
I even wrote a paper on that shit in college. Good times.

>>54320621
Then you still lose narrative power, because there's still a clear line between "not combat" and "combat." The idea is that action order is determined organically (while still making sure everybody gets a "turn" once things are getting violent for more than a couple of in-game seconds).
Of course, barbarians post-level 7 get a massive advantage - unless there's a very good reason why they shouldn't be first (an undetected sniper fires on the PCs), they typically just go first by default.
You have to wing it most of the time and it requires good judgment and improvisational skills, but the end result is not terribly different from the regular system. But not having that line in the sand does wonders for RP (largely because there's no clear line at the "end of combat," either).
>>
>>54320347
There's really only the problem of a shortage of legendary hammers and mauls. I can't think of anything that only resists blunt damage off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's at least a handful. Maybe some types of elementals?
>>
>>54320347
Not off the top of my head....
I know Skeletons are vulnerable to em...
Ochre jellies like you said can split from the hit of a slashing weapon...
Some plants have resistance to piercing...
>>
>>54320637
Oh, totally. +2 to DEX saves, intiative, and dex skills is better than +1 AC.

If you're alright playing as a medium armor+shield EB turret warlock until 8th then that's the better option. STR 13, DEX 14, CHA 16.

16 DEX start, on the other hand, is stupid. Don't do that. You take a penalty to your wisdom and perception just to be able to competently hit things with a rapier, but it's not actually any better than Eldritch Blasting. The STR path works because you get PAM right away - QS+PAM+Dueling is already optimal for Paladins even without Shillealgh. Rapier on the other hand is outdamaged by EB because you don't have the smite slots available to justify before you switch to Shillelagh as the whole combo comes online.
>>
>>54320473
>My group doesn't even roll initiative

My groups the opposite. I have the whole session in intiative order going around each player and asking them what they do individually.

This is also great as it means there's no.differentiation between combat and roleplay and everybody gets a chance to shine.
>>
>>54320660
He get's shot right there, thanks America.
>>
File: 1431054826152.jpg (33KB, 640x514px) Image search: [Google]
1431054826152.jpg
33KB, 640x514px
>>54320859
This is just as bad
>>
>>54320859
Not sure if bad joke or really weird gaming group

>>54320910
No, it's much worse
>>
>>54320697
But I want to put really hard monsters that the PCs need to sneak around or cleverly defeat in front of the PCs.
>>
>>54320929
Then give them an out the first couple of times you do it. The PCs, being people who kill monsters for a living, are naturally going to try to kill the monsters. When they see that the monsters are not going down no matter what, make it possible to run away. That will teach them what kind of campaign they're in, so later on there can be monsters that they can neither fight nor run from and it won't be as unfair because they were warned.
>>
>>54320852
> You take a penalty to your wisdom and perception just to be able to competently hit things with a rapier
a -1 to these for +1 initiative seems like a fair trade, since paladin will more than make up for a -1 to saves
>>
Is it possible to fool zombies to be one of theirs just by looking like one through make-up or a magical effect?
Could I just make myself look like a zombie and then shamble past wild, uncontrolled zombies undisturbed?
>>
>>54320924
>really weird gaming group

Nope I just found this method solved multiple issues I was facing in game.

>That guy/power gamers not doing anything unless they absolutely had to to avoid danger.
>That guy/power gamers not bothering in RP scenes
>Shy players not participating
>Certain players hogging the limelight in scenes /instigating pointless shit too often

I don't have players roll intiative at the start of the session or anything, stats shouldn't determine this order IMO I actually just choose one player randomly and go round in order for the entire session from that

So describe scene
>Ranger what are you doing
>Resolve action
>Fighter what are you doing
>Resolve action
>Wizard what are you doing
>Resolve action
>Back to Ranger what are you doing?
>Resolve action

Etc...

If combat does happen I'll just roll monsters into the order as natural as possible

So

>Ranger what are you doing?
>Resolve action
>Goblins attack Barb
>barbarian what do you do?

This equally applies to other scenes too.

So

>Noble greets you
>Ranger what do you say?
>Noble responds
>Barbarian what are you saying/doing?
>Noble responds
>Etc
>>
>>54320431
I'd go strength. You only need 2 more strength than your required strength to wear plate armour and stacking AC works better when you have a shield, as AC matters more to people with more armour.

Sure, dex would be better, but you NEED 13 strength.
>>
>>54320967
No, initiative is too random for a +1 to be a consideration.

Wisdom saves, on the other hand, can never be too high.
>>
>>54320924

Much, much worse.
>>
>>54321029
I would disallow it. Since DnD zombies are magic in origin, I assume that the magic gives them an innate sense of what is living or not, so you can't try doing a Shaun of the Dead to fool them.
>>
>>54320852

I'm new to 5e, what is PAM QS Dueling? Polearm master dueling fighting style with a quarter staff?
>>
>>54321177
Yep. For some reason a staff counts as a polearm when a spear doesn't, and somehow you can wield a staff in one hand with a shield effectively

The same people that are okay with this pile of nonsense have issues with mystic or crossbow master letting you fight with a rapier and hand crossbow without penalty because they're not realistic or too anime
>>
>>54321066
Weird, and would feel really unnatural during social situations to me, but hey, whatever works for your group. (It's still weird, but you do you)
>>
>>54321029
If the zombies are Last of Us zombies, I'd rule that they use special pheromones for identification, not sight. So you could smear your body in zombie guts to fool them. Whether that has a chance to infect you is up to the DM.
>>
>>54321029

Hate to be the guy who says "ask your DM," but I have to be the guy who says "ask your DM." The 5th edition books don't go into enough detail to know how zombies recognize each other to begin with it, much less how to fool it.

Personally, I'd let you roll for it Cha(Disguise) vs Wisdom (6) but if you succeed you have to hold your arms out in front of you and say "IM HO TEP" the whole time you're doing it.
>>
>>54321066
There's no reason why the Ranger should always get to speak before the Barbarian in a social setting. That shit just doesn't make sense.

Let whoever wants to speak, speak. Forcing RP is not good.
>>
>>54321210

That was a funny scene.
>>
Was thinking of changing PAM at my table so that you can only get the bonus attack with the quarterstaff if you strike using two hands. Should fix a lot of the cheesing

Yes/no?
>>
>>54321198

Why is that considered optimal for paladins in particular? I've spent some time looking at paladins recently and I see the shield master+one handed weapon synergy of knocking things prone for advantage. Is PAM really just there for extra attacks when enemies engage you? How does a paladin get shillelagh?
>>
>>54321177
Yep. A wooden stick is irrefutably the best one handed weapon in the game, never mind longswords or warhammers.
>>
>>54321198

Shield and Quarterstaff isn't too hard to imagine since Shield and Spear and Trash Can Lid and Pool Cue both have documented historical usage. I'm more confused in what universe a Spear isn't a Polearm.

The big problem with Rapier + Hand Crossbow is that the crossbow needs a free hand to reload. It's perfectly viable for fire-and-fling, though.
>>
>>54321246
Yes, but it's probably the same as removing Quarterstaff altogether, as Glaive/Halberd is a better option, unless fighting Skeletons.

>>54321247
>Is PAM really just there for extra attacks when enemies engage you?
You effectively get 3 attacks, being able to use Divine Smite on each one.
>>
>>54321247

I believe a three-level dip in Tome Warlock gets you Shillelagh with CHA as the casting stat.
>>
>>54321247
Paladins really appreciate having a bonus action attack, as it allows them to nova harder with divine smite and works nicely with the free 1d8 on hit from improved smite.

And the shillelagh bit is usually accomplished through Tome Warlock multiclass.
>>
>>54321029
I'd allow it but I'm pretty loose about these things and praise Vecna whenever players pick a course of action that isn't hit it with my axe. I think if a GM disallowed it they wouldn't be a dick.

For it to work I'd have the players roll a disguise check against an opposed perception check from the zombies as a group. With this re-rolled if circumstances change. If they all pass great. If the majority pass but one 9r two fail great but I'd throw a scene where a zombie spots one and see how the players react to it. If more than half the group fail they're zombie food. (Obviously they wouldn't know this until well in the midst of the horde)
>>
>>54321296
>>54321298
>>54321302

I forgot all about the PAM bonus attack. Is this build something that Paladins dip out of right away to get online or would you start going into Warlock after getting the level 6 or 7 auras
>>
>>54321246
The feat basically describes it that way anyway, but I don't think one handed quarterstaff users having an extra attack is really the end of the world compared to GWM or SS
>>
File: 1287530470621.jpg (2KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1287530470621.jpg
2KB, 126x126px
>>54321246
Wh-what if...

What if you got rid of PAM/GWM/SS completely
>>
>>54321296
>Yes, but it's probably the same as removing Quarterstaff altogether
Nah, I can still see it being possibly useful for classes that don't have martial weapon proficiency. I also find this has a rational backing to it, I've used a staff in my Kenpo lessons and it's very easy and fluid to strike with the back end of the staff immediately after hitting with the front. However, the motion requires two hands and I really can't see how it would work with one hand (I've tried)
>>
>>54321280
Drop rapier for free, fire+reload crossbow, pick up rapier using your object interaction for the turn.

It's goofy but it works
>>
Does anyone have the form fillable character sheet from the mega?
>>
>>54321338

It's not the absolute end of the world but it does shift the power balance on martials and v. humans quite a bit. Like most 5e house rules it will be much less disruptive if you announce it before character creation so no one starts building towards it only to get shut down later.
>>
>>54321338
No him, but I thought about rebalancing GWM/SS by making the penalty be equal to the ability modifier (i.e. -3 at 16 Str/Dex), while the damage is the double of it (+6 at 16 Str/Dex), so with 20 Str it's a -5/+10, but it's way later by level 8-12 instead of 4.
So it is still strong, but scales with the character's ability score instead of being a flat -5/+10.

Not sure about what to do to PAM, though.
>>
>>54321324
You usually want to at least rush level 5 pally to get extra attack.
>>
>>54321326
Well GWM and SS are so ridiculously broken that anything would seem reasonable compared to them
>>
>>54321451
>Like most 5e house rules it will be much less disruptive if you announce it before character creation so no one starts building towards it only to get shut down later.
This so much. My DM allowed Variant Human at level 1, then when we got to level 4 he decided we wouldn't use feats. Civil War ensued because he never said that shit at chargen.
>>
>>54321478
So were there V.Humans in your party who were using their feat in levels 1-3? Did the DM get tired of someone cheesing with GWM?
>>
>>54321365

RAW it does work thanks to the Ammunition property, but it's a case where there needs to be a sit-down conversation about it before it gets used in play.

I allow "juggling" in my game complete with my players choice of fluff, but I warn them going in that my NPCs/monsters can ready actions and a dropped item is no longer "worn or carried" until it's picked back up so they can plan accordingly. Just springing it on them is a dick move.
>>
>>54321346
Hell considering quarterstaves were used as fairly heavy two handed striking weapons, I just houseruled them to require two hands to use
>>
>>54321521
At that point they're just a Greatclub that weighs less
>>
>>54321476

What is SS?
>>
What's the best battlefield control character? A grappler? With two enemies grappled and sentinel I can lock down three enemies.
>>
>>54321508
>So were there V.Humans in your party who were using their feat in levels 1-3?
Yes, we got a Paladin.
>Did the DM get tired of someone cheesing with GWM?
No, that's the worst part, he allowed VHuman, then gave a read on the feats later and thought most were OP. The feat he thought was strong (besides alert/gwm/ss/observant)? Healer.
Our Paladin took Shield Master, other than the bonus action I believe he only made one Dex save until now.

I've come to understand the tradeoff of VHuman, you trade 4 ability scores at level 1 on "useless abilities", then at level 4 you're the only one that can get an ability score 18 and a feat.
>>
>>54321570
Sharpshooter. The ranged equivalent of the Great Weapon Master feat.
>>
>>54321570

Sharpshooter
>>
>>54320150
It's still helpful because Misty Step denies them the ability to cast a leveled spell that turn. They can still *attack* with a cantrip, sure, but it's still an effective harassment of the caster.

>what if they Misty Step somewhere inaccessible to you?
That's not a problem with Mage Slayer itself, and it's more a GM/scenario problem than a character build one, but it's a problem with a few good solutions; a good Athletics skill can get you places, or certain melee classes can get Misty Step themselves.
>>
Any advice for roleplaying a warforged? Specifically, roleplaying a warforged that wasn't created to be a soldier.
>>
>>54321589
>>54321594

What is wrong with these feats? 10 damage is just too much extra?
>>
>>54321581
>I've come to understand the tradeoff of VHuman, you trade 4 ability scores at level 1 on "useless abilities", then at level 4 you're the only one that can get an ability score 18 and a feat.
It's hardly a tradeoff. V.Humans are the best race in the game and non-rp reasons to choose a different race are few and far inbetween.
>>
>>54321623
Yes. Way too much.

It applies on every attack they make too, so in reality you're looking at 30+ damage per round just from the feat alone.
>>
>>54321623
They're kind of overhyped here, but yeah. Since it's a penalty and not disadvantage there's a lot of working around the penalty, and 10 damage a hit is a lot more than most feats offer. I think they're fine mostly on the premise of them really only helping classes that don't do much aside from hitting things though
>>
>>54321621
Well what was he created to be then
That's kind of the biggest consideration on the table here, I don't know why you'd leave it out
>>
>>54321346
>>54321521
>Wizards can make an army of clones and dragons for free, fly off into the sunset while raining meteors and creating alternate dimensions with blackjack they cannot fail at and magical hookers and that's fine but I can't find a way to hit with the butt of the staff after a normal attack with one hand so martials can't do that I guess
>>
>>54321576
You're inciting caster vs martial debate with this post amirite?
>>
>>54321678
Ah yes, the old "level 17 wizard represents wizards throughout all tiers of play". A classic.
>>
>>54321653

Do PC's really begin to hit reliably enough? My experiences with 5e have all been on the low end of levels.
>>
>>54320232
Not since they declared it's only good for weapon damage dice. On 2d6, it changed the average damage from 7 to 8.33, and on d13 is changes it from 6.5 to 7.33; all in all, not really much, so you may as well just take +1 AC while you're at it.
>>
>>54321675
A personal servant, basically. Cooking, cleaning, home repair, things like that.
>>
>>54321653
No, 30 damage implies that feat in addition to another that enables you to consistently have another attack like polearm or crossbow one, not "the feat alone"
>>
>>54321621
Dwarforged, you were built by dwarves to be a miner/smith/anything other than actually fighter.
You know stuff from dwarven history and shit, act like a dwarf, drink like a dwarf, etc.

>>54321641
You still trade darkvision and other racial features, specially for non-martials where feats aren't that important as compared to martials.
>>
>>54321692
That's not the point.

The point is that it's being said a level 17 martial can't do something like that when a wizard can become fucking santa claus at that level.
>>
>>54321686
No, I'm legitimately asking.

I'm guessing you're on the caster side. In that case what would you recommend to suit my purposes? Wizard? Land Druid?
>>
>>54321700
Nitpick if you want, I'm just trying to illustrate the impact that GMW/SS has in a proper build.
>>
>>54321732
Pretty much it. Concentrate on control spells, use cantrips that move people if you will.
Or you could go Moon Druid, concentrate on a control spell, then wild shape into something with lots of strength and grapple enemies as well.
>>
>>54321697
Play her like a maid who will do anything to please her master.
>>
>>54321703
This works.

I learned today that by RAW you can customize your background, so I was thinking of modifying the guild artisan background to better suit the character.

What sorts of skills would a personal servant have? Medicine? I don't know.
>>
>>54321576
Grapplers have better at-will control but generally control is a situational thing and thus you want a caster who has a wider range of control and also stronger control.
>>
>>54321715
Then don't play at high levels, like many gaming groups in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>54321715
>Playing at high level at all
>>
>>54321836
>>54321848
Well, okay.
>A level 5 fighter, still an expert in his field can't attack with the butt of his weapon
>A level 5 wizard can trap otherworldly creatures with magical circles, at-will summon familiars to do their bidding/floating disks to help carry stuff/impenetrable huts of force/invisible servants/invisible magical alarms/identify anything/detect magical presences... They can launch high explosives from their fingertips, physically change themself into whatever they want to like a changeling, fly, interrupt other magic casters, fuck with fate with portent, shoot magical attacks that never miss unless other magic stops it... In two levels he will be able to change creatures into other creatures and animate weapons to attack on their own accord
>Yeah, no, a martial shouldn't be able to use a quarterstaff like in real life but only with one hand, WTF he needs two hands
>>
>>54321797
Perception definitely. Cleaning would involve searching a room for dust not too dissimilar to searching a room for secret treasure, and Insight to understand what the master wants. Survival might also be relevant actually because a servant is the one who keeps the house running. Medicine I wouldn't recommend when you could just have healer kits lying around.

Also tools. Cook's utensils, carpenter's tools, weaver's tools and maybe woodcarver's or cobbler's tools?
>>
>>54321797
Skills: Insight +1
Tools: One type of artisan's tools (just an example, something related to your work as a servant)
Languages: Dwarvish (or your master's tongue, if not common)
>>
>>54321925
>>54321976
Which background feature should I be looking at? I'm not seeing many that fit.

Maybe clan crafter/respect of the stout folk but I don't know if that would work very well since he's probably never left his cave before anyway.
>>
>>54321797
Insight and persuasion.

Persuasion is useful because as a servant you'll get sent out into town to buy things and may have to deal with guests and the like, and a silver tongue does good to keep people around you happy.

>>54321925
>Cleaning is like looking for traps
Anything but.
Looking for traps is more about investigation. Perception is just 'eyesight power' which makes no fucking sense how you get proficiency in it. You should automatically succeed at eyesight unless you're in bad conditions (poor light/time pressure) and from there you should use investigation to investigate the clue of a possible trap such as an outline of something.

Perception proficiency as far as it makes sense should logically just be 'the willpower to constantly check behind your back to make sure nobody's sneaking up on you'.
I suppose 'the willpower to search meticulously for dust' kinda goes with 'the willpower to search meticulously for traps' but who the heck doesn't search carefully for traps when their life is on the line?
>>
>>54322154
When my table searches for anything we use Perception. If we can't perceive that a trap is there we can't investigate it to figure out how to disarm it.
>>
>>54322154
Persuasion is also useful for "suggesting" the master pick a certain course of action.

>>54322154
>>54322190
Investigation is for things that aren't immediately visible, like hidden compartments and such. Perception is for things that are visible but hard to detect, like arrow slits in the wall. (Although if you miss the perception roll, investigation will probably find those too)
>>
>>54322190
What's the point in that?
How is that enjoyable at all?

'Just keep searching for traps over and over and over until you get a 20 and I tell you where the traps are'?
'No you rolled too low so now I won't let you roll again and there are invisible traps that you're not allowed to know about so have fun getting fucked up?'

The fun about traps isn't that they're random bullshit that forces you to repeatedly make rolls or else have them spring out of nowhere, but they're there to make things interesting. They might be used by either side in a fight, they might be a skill puzzle in itself of 'okay, there's a trap here but we have to figure out how to get past it' or they might just be a 'try to pay attention to what the DM says / the map as some things hint that they aren't quite what they seem' but..

I'll never get the 'yeah, there are some invisible traps in places, roll perception to see them' meme.
As if perception wasn't already strong enough.

Of course it might be different in the sessions you're in but I'm kinda sick of most games having it so that perception is rolled literally 15+ times a session.
>>
>>54322230
>Perception is for things that are visible but hard to detect, like arrow slits in the wall. (Although if you miss the perception roll, investigation will probably find those too)

It would be more fun for the players to just tell them there are arrow slits in the wall.
That way, when a trap triggers that shoots arrows out of them because that goblin over there pulled a lever or something, the players go 'Oh right we were dumb' rather than 'oh right we should have asked to roll perception on every single thing we saw'
>>
>>54322241
Well I said traps but really we've been using perception to find secret doors mostly, and the DM lets us roll perception once when we enter the room and that's it as far as finding things go.
>>
>>54322299
Yeah, well, that's still the problem I have.

>Roll perception as you enter the room and that determines how much you immediately find

I'd think it would be better to tell the players everything they can find if there's no pressure on them. The challenge shouldn't be 'finding the secret door' but 'opening the secret door'. Otherwise you're just keeping content and potentially useful information from your players for no good reason other than 'rolls'.

Information helps players make informed decisions rather than blind choices, and blind choices aren't choices at all.
>>
File: 1338236824587.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1338236824587.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
So if a Paladin used a Find Steed Mount for combat, he'd able to let it act "independently" so it keeps its own initiative and attack actions, but control its actions anyway using the "instinctive bond with it that allows you to fight as a seamless unit", right?
>>
>>54322138
Maybe something like an acolyte's, but just a place where you can offer your services in trade for a place to sleep by, nothing else too big from it.
>>
The only time I had my players roll for perception in my last session was when they stuck their head around a corner into a den of goblins. The perception check was DC 10 to get a rough estimate of the number of goblins in the room and a DC 15 to count them exactly before she had to dodge the incoming hail of arrows.
>>
>>54322372
>but just a place where you can offer your services in trade for a place to sleep by, nothing else too big from it.

That's more like entertainer than acolyte. Acolyte is you getting a place to stay in out of the generosity of your chosen religion, entertainer is trading services for a place to sleep
>>
>>54322393
>services
>>
>>54322415
>the action of helping or doing work for someone.
>>
Yeah, I'm that same would-be race homebrewer. Once again, if anyone's interested in asking, I'm open to requests to try converting various races to 5e - I can work most easily from previous editions of D&D, but I'm not averse to other requests (for example, Zelda or Warcraft races) if I recognize 'em.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D%26D_PC_Races

Special this week on Mystara race conversions.
>>
>>54321029
Maybe? You'd probably have to also smell like a zombie or they'd know.
>>
>>54320272
Their oath could be that of humility, not making it apparent that they are a champion of justice and acting like normal people. But when the need arises they are their to help, but they never expect or seek praise for their actions, they do it just to make the world a better place

Call them the silent knights or something
>>
>>54322393
Yeah, I misread acolyte's feature and confused it with entertainer's.
>As an acolyte, you command the respect of those who share your faith, and you can perform the religious ceremonies of your deity.
Thought that meant "do some work there and get a place to sleep for free"
>>
How do things like vampirism/lycanthropy/lichdom work in 5e? Are they even possible or do you have to homebrew for that sort of thing?
>>
>>54322527
monster manuel has all the answers hombre
>>
>>54322464
Maybe they even prevent themselves from taking too much pride in their alleged moral purity by making all their members do something truly awful at least once a year. That might drive home the idea that they aren't doing this to be heroes. They aren't heroes and they never will be, because any kind of esteem leads to hubris, even self-esteem.
>>
Magic Initiate Cantrips scale with your level and get additional damage dice at level 5 and so on, right?
>>
>>54321365
Not doing a cool flip your sword up in the air while you reload your crossbow catch it again and fire. refluff is the powergamer's best friend.
>>
> gonna start strahd soon, will be my first campaign
> soon after everyone agrees when we'd have the first session I find out I'm gonna be unavailable because visiting family
> tell group and everyone seems okay with moving it to next week
> GM then decides they're just gonna do the first session without me
o-okay
>>
>>54322629
I don't see why not
>>
>>54322685
Use this as an excuse to stay the hell out of Barovia. It's a terrible place.
>>
>>54321576
Str lore bard
Grapple as well as a barbrogue but you get to be a full caster who can get heat metal / spike growth / silence / darkness
Dip 2-4 levels into chainlock for the best at will damage in the game and a magic invisible pet who gives you adv on everything and can give you magic resist
>>
File: 144961.1488952741.png (126KB, 589x541px) Image search: [Google]
144961.1488952741.png
126KB, 589x541px
>>54322695

Magic Initiate says that you use the spellcasting attribute of the class you take the spells from.

If I took Druid cantrips as a Wizard, and then uses Shillelagh which says "use your spell casting ability instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls", would it use my Int or Wisdom?
>>
>>54322754
>2-4 levels of warlock
>Best at-will damage in the game
>give you magic resist
>Being a lore bard for grappling when a barbarogue not only has better use for strength for higher athletics but also has advantage to grapple, has at least twice as many grapples a turn and is tougher

What is this meme nonsense

Valor bard is a better grappler than lore bard, it's probably their only selling point aside from slightly better at-will damage and getting 'moderately armoured for free.
>>
>>54322827
It's Wisdom because it is your spellcasting ability for that cantrip.
>>
>>54322827
Wisdom because it's your spellcasting ability for that
>>
>>54322754
>and can give you magic resist
That's assuming the DM is using the Monster's Manual variant rule for those familiars.
>>
>>54322868
>>54322878

I thought so, but I was just too curious not to ask anyway.

Thanks dudes.
>>
Is land druid any good? Which land is best land?
>>
What is the most broken character you encountered?
>>
>>54323049
Most DMPCs.
>>
>>54323047
It is fine, never played one but most say it is boring other than using Wild Shape.
Might get the same flavor by playing a Nature Cleric or Oath of Ancients Paladin without the "I love nature" bullshit people expect from the class.
>>
File: Artificer Homebrew.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Artificer Homebrew.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
So I'm gonna play a revised Artificer (See PDF, gonna be a Mechanist and make my own Mech Mount).

Is there a PDF or whatever going into more detail about crafting magical items? I know there's a section in the DMG but it doesn't exactly go into great detail for the more niche items that I'd want to create. Just trying to make my DM's life easier.
>>
>>54321693
To-hit bonuses scale faster than AC.

GWM and SS also have higher damage average damage at all levels compared to a flat ASI except against low (<13) AC enemies.

Considering the additional bonuses they give, one giving you odds of an additional attack and the other ignoring cover and very meaningfully increasing the effective range on Hand Crossbow, they're *that* strong.
>>
>>54322432
Shadow Elves and Rakasta please.
>>
>>54323207

Why does the effective range of Hand Crossbow matter? Also, what is ASI?
>>
>>54323225

An ASI is an ability score increase.
>>
>>54323209
I'll need to look up the Shadow Elves - they had their own Gazetteer, right?

As for Rakasta... would they be particularly different from reflavored Tabaxi?

But I'll give them a shot... got a particular ruleset you want me to use as a basis? There's two different AD&D versions, Red Steel and Dragon, and Dragon got... pretty fucking crazy:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Catfolk#Rakasta
>>
>>54323195

The gun still seems rather unimpressive for the revised artificer.
>>
>>54323340
Shadow Elves got their own gazetteer yes.

As for Rakasta I think they are more big tigermen than the lean leopard-like tabaxi.
>>
>>54323363

Yep. The guy said he pretty much didn't touch it, which is a shame. But the Mechanist seems really fun. I can make a fucking mech suit.
>>
>>54323385
>>>/a/
>>
>>54319920
>I just wish they had poison resistance

Then give them Resistance to Poison...? It's your game, dingus.
>>
>>54323397

>Didn't even redirect to /m/

Step your game up faggot.
>>
How do you handle spellcrafting?

>>54323420
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>54323385

Yeah, the Mechanist seems fun.

Hmm...if I was to tinker with the gun I'd likely remove the reload time. A bonus action every single turn kinda sucks for multiclassing (Can't go rogue, for example for a sneaky sniper) but is kinda pointless to an actual artificer.

That and make the various shots more 'At X level, pick a new shot type' with them scaling. Rather than waiting until level 17 for a cut-rate fireball.
>>
>>54323225
Sharpshooter removes disadvantage on long range.

Hand Crossbow has a range of 30/100; shooting past 30 ft gives disadvantage on attack rolls. Sharpshooter turns it into a 100ft range weapon, which is all you need for the vast majority of encounters.

So you have the Hand Crossbow. 1d6+DEX weapon with 30/100 range, pretty shitty, right?

Add Sharpshooter and now it's 1d6+10+DEX with 100ft range.
Add Crossbow Expert, and now it can Extra Attack *and* gets a Bonus Action attack.

Best ranged weapon in the game. Arguably best weapon in the game.
>>
>>54323372
Alright, let me see... Shadow Elves are tricky, because they only existed in Basic, and their only real difference from regular Elves there is their ability to reach higher levels and their unique array of spells.

Hmm... using the Elf core race/Shadow Elf subrace system, this is what I'd give you for a first draft:

Elf Subrace: Shadow Elf
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence
Cavern-Dweller: You have Advantage on Survival and Nature checks made in underground environments.
Shadow Elf Sorcery: You know the Dancing Lights cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire once with this trait, and must then complete a long rest before you can cast it again. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability score for both of these spells.

In BD&D, Shadow Elves treat Strength and Intelligence as their primary ability scores. Their infravision is only 90', same as normal elves, but they get Orientation in Caves as a mandatory skill. Faerie Fire was literally invented for Shadow Elves, and Dancing Lights is the closest thing to their original Faerie Lights spell.
>>
>>54323195

You know, it took me ages to realise just how badly the artificer's saves line up with it's actual stats. Constitution save on a class that is unlikely to actually want to get up and personal in melee? They are most likely to be dex-based due to the lack of heavy armour proficiency.

Wis and Dex are the two main save stats they'll generally go with (Dex for combat, Wis for actually being good at trapfinding)
>>
>>54323498

Addendum: I'd likely stop the gun being a class feature and just make it proficiency in guns/tricks with the guns. Lets other classes dip into gunslinging if they want to burn a feat for proficiency.
>>
>>54320220
>The best anti-mage build is a Abjuration wizard

Not really, no. He gets his counterspells counterspelled too easily

Best Magebreaker is Lore Bard with Counterspell

Add Jack of All Trades to counterspell checks, Enhance Ability for advantage on the check, + Inspiration Die, then cast Silence.

Once you unlock Glibness, you can't miss a counterspell check
>>
>>54322361
You can give it general commands such as, "Attack that goblin". But otherwise it acts as it sees fit.
>>
What if these changes to UA initiative:

>Initative bonuses from Dex, Alert, etc. apply on first round, benefiting or harming you as normal.
>Bonus actions only add half the value rolled, rounded down.
>When you take an action triggered by one of your other actions on that turn, such as two-weapon fighting, only roll dice for that action once, using the higher die size if they differ.
>Multiple moves doesn't cause extra initiative dice; Dash action changed to 1d4

>When you declare the Cast a Spell action, also declare what slot level you intend to use, can only cast that level or lower
>Cast a Spell's dice changed from 1d10 to 1d8+spell level

>Weapon speed: Unarmed Strike is always treated as having a speed of 1, no matter what its damage dice are.
>>
Is Mounted Combatant a good feat? Free advantage on medium or smaller creatures seems pretty nifty.
>>
>>54323862

Yeah, pretty good if most of your combat happens on ground open enough to maneuver your mount.
>>
>>54323793
The problem with UA Initiative isn't the autistic adding up of different die and looking up tables.

It's that you roll initiative every single fucking round.
>>
>>54323862
It's bretty fun.
>>
Hey guys, do any of you have that one page dungeon with three trolls on a tower in the ocean? The tower served to guard the souls of evil sorcerers, and was situated next to a tree that bound their soul to the world. One of the trolls spent ate ashes in his spare time.
>>
>>54323587
holy shit.

Just realized that also means a lvl 20 Arcane Trickster gets one auto success counterspell every short rest, too. Which is neat.
>>
>>54323981
>It's that you roll initiative every single fucking round.
This right here. So many people can barely get their shit together when they know when their turn is coming, when initiative changes every round everything just grinds to a halt.
>>
File: 1500036705934.png (452KB, 618x624px) Image search: [Google]
1500036705934.png
452KB, 618x624px
What official adventure includes red dragons?
>>
>>54324077
Seconding this.
>>
>>54324077
OotA has one.
>>
>>54322361
Somewhat, but not as much as you may think. It means you never have to use Handle Animal to get it to behave in combat. If you want it to fight, and let it act on its own initiative, it will, and given the instinctive bond and the fact that, you know, it speaks your languages, it'll probably move and attack where you want.

Note there is a risk to this though. If you let it take its own turn, you aren't gonna be moving on your turn. So better hope you have all the targets you want to hit within reach, because unless you get off your mount, it's not going anywhere on your turn.
>>
>>54324077
Out of the abyss
>>
>>54324077
Something tells me that's a girl(male)
Am I right
>>
File: hankstare.jpg (21KB, 331x314px) Image search: [Google]
hankstare.jpg
21KB, 331x314px
>>54320737
>call Imyrith out in front of the giant court
>party looks at me like i'm fucking nuts
>point to her token and the giant blue dragon horn shooting out of her forehead
>"that could just be a tiara or something"
>mfw
>>
>>54319831
Why share a dead trove link?

When is someone gonna re-upload to a new trove?
>>
>>54323047
It's not perfectly obvious, but yes, it's quite good. Take a look at the spell list and you'll notice most of its combat spells are concentration, with a couple attack spells sprinkled in, but their control spells are among the Monet powerful of any class.

Thus, combat basically comes down to "get concentration spell up, then attack with your cantrip of choice with an occasional attack spell of choice." You'll find that you're actually a highly effective supporter for your team and your martials will love you for making their job easier (while also not making them feel worthless).

Land druid is one of the better classes in terms of solid design, in my opinion.
>>
>>54324007
I think I remember this, somehow. One of the trolls throw rocks and one swims.
>>
>>54323587
>giving inspiration Dice to yourself
JoAT is a nice bonus though.
>>
>>54324309
One of the first fucking posts, you stupid fuck.
>>
>>54324077
SKT has one, but the players aren't expected to fight him.
>>
>>54324077
Klauth is in Storm King's Thunder but doesn't do a whole lot unless you go out of your way to work him in. You could always replace Iymrith (a blue dragon)'s role with Klauth.
Princes of the Apocalypse features a young red dragon as the hired muscle to a doomsday fire cult but he's kind of a bitch owing to his age. There's also a dragon turtle if that counts.

Of course, if you're a real nigga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQRc5w6HN_Y
>>
The description of the upcoming guide to everything book only talks about new subclasses. Does that mean no artificer or mystic?
>>
>>54324418
Correct. The Artificer and Mystic are being moved to the DM's Guild, and eventually to AL for more testing and refining. It sucks, but a public playtest is absolutely the best way to make sure it's not broken (which at the moment, the Mystic kind of is)
>>
>>54324418
Yes.

Crawford is a fucking cuck and tweeted about an hour ago that Mystic isn't even being published this FUCKING YEAR.
>>
What are the best paladin oaths?
>>
>>54324446
Crawford isn't a cuck, he wants to make sure that it's done right. As much as you guys are able to give good feedback, the problem is that the population of /5eg/ rarely exceeds 150 people that are even willing to give an opinion. A live playtest is absolutely the way to go. Would you rather it was released in its current state, unfinished?
>>
>>54324445
>>54324446
I can appreciate wanting to fine tune them I guess, but just releasing a bunch of subclasses just seems like it's making the exact same mistake 3.5/pathfinder made

How many official subclasses outside of core are any good? Maybe swashbuckler and bladesinger?

Are we gonna get revised ranger at least, or is that also beyond the scope somehow?
>>
>>54324477
If the revisions that Mearls said would make it AL legal are out before Xanathar's Guide, I'll be happy.

I just want a Warlord already, and the way I see it, that isn't happening until Mystic and Artificer are done.
>>
>>54324477
>Would you rather it was released in its current state, unfinished?

not that guy, but kinda

this stuff is ridiculous and i want to exploit the shit out of it for as long as possible
>>
>>54324485
>Are we gonna get revised ranger at least, or is that also beyond the scope somehow?
My guess is that it'll be within Ranger as a Variant with spell-less ranger too, like the half-elf variants on SCAG.
>>
>>54324453
The core 3 are all good; vengeance is probably strongest for straight up damage, but Ancients can make the whole party resistant to spellcasters and is flavorful as fuck.
>>
>>54324477
Crawford is absolutely a cuck, but for reasons uncovered by your post and unrelated to Mystic discussion.
>>
>>54324278
Don't metagame you fuck.
>>
>>54324548
Ancients aura is specifically just spell damage

given the saving throw aura that all paladins have its still strong, but it's still exploitable
>>
How off-track do you stray from standard fantasy tropes and settings?

I just did a one-shot where my players went to a Neon Disco Dungeon of Doom, fighting the spectral totems of the Village People, moonwalking through curtains of plasma to avoid disintegration, disabling speakers to get through a hallway, carefully navigating across a floor rigged to drop them into a disco inferno, and then challenging a Lord of the Dance to a, quite literal, dance battle. It was incredible, and they had an absolute blast, but it required a lot of hand-waving about "fantasy disco" and speakers powered by arcane batteries.
>>
>>54324485
I didn't work on 3.5, but from my understanding the problem was more focused on prestige classes, rather than on subclasses. I think that Shigeru Miyamoto put it best when he said that a delayed game will eventually be good, while a rushed game is forever bad. At the moment WotC is focusing on sustainable growth. If something in UA doesn't get at least 80% approval, then it's either scrapped or retooled, depending on feedback. It's for this reason that new settings are slow coming. We're listening to the community and moving away from the Sword Coast for now, but it's not like we can just write a book on Athas in a couple of months. There are too many subsystems that are integral to the setting for it to work that don't currently exist. Upcoming UAs will focus on things like weapon breakage and other systems because we want to expand not only the players' and DM's options, but also our own.

For now, I consider the revised ranger to be finished outside of a few fiddly paragraphs concerning proficiency, but that's easily fixed. It will be AL legal soon enough, but most DMs should allow it.
>>
>>54324602
We already knew that
a) there was a traitor in the giant court
b) Imyrith is a blue dragon
c) Imyrith shapeshifts (she masqueraded as an Elf Wizard Bitch that we captured and imprisoned in Everlund before she turned dragonmode and blew it the fuck up)
Not only that, but when we "fought" her at the Eye of the All-Father, she was wounded by Harshnag's Axe of Maiming Dragons So Their Shit Never Heals, which was also reflected in Elf Wizard Bitch's limping.

It was pretty easy to point at her giant blue dragon horned giantess token and go "that's fucking Imyrith and if you don't believe me, get her to hike up her robe and check out her leg".
>>
File: thinking felix.png (85KB, 327x300px) Image search: [Google]
thinking felix.png
85KB, 327x300px
>>54324446
>Mystic confirmed a long time ago to not be in XGE
>XGE comes out in November
>people are surprised mystic won't be published this year
>>
>>54324514
You're probably gonna have to make do with homebrew until then.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1p4IJMrW is one option, but I've seen others.
>>
File: Please fuck off back to Reddit.jpg (23KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
Please fuck off back to Reddit.jpg
23KB, 396x382px
>>54324636
>>
>>54324514
>I just want a Warlord already
>>
>>54320221
>Alternatively, what's the most creative refluffing of a class you've ever seen?-

Path of the Ancestral Guardians Barbarian based on Frankenstein's monster. The spirits that appear are the ghosts of those whose parts he's comprised of.
>>
File: 1293081287161.png (151KB, 455x511px) Image search: [Google]
1293081287161.png
151KB, 455x511px
I need a name for a minor deity of commerce and fortune. Preferably a pun.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>54324803
No, fuck you.
>>
>>54324797
Cringe
>>
>>54324821
It's true. Mystic is also 5e's Tome of Battle, which warlord sprung from (through the White Raven school).
>>
>>54324848
Extra fuck you.
>>
>>54320443
>>54320473

The best initiative roll is to just have one representative roll for each "side" in the fight. Then, every side chooses their turn order every round. It's simple and encourages teamwork for cooperative maneuvers.

Any benefits that any players have regarding initiative (like if you have a Barbarian with Primal Awareness in the party) apply to that single initiative roll.
>>
How to roll play a Kenku? Seems like it's more work than any other race
>>
>>54324797
>he hasn't photoshopped all the MAGA hats out of his macros in shame or at least replaced them with TOP ___ instead
>>
>>54324816
Do'llar, elvish/drow deity of commerce and fortune.
>>
File: 1485478243688.jpg (357KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1485478243688.jpg
357KB, 1920x1280px
>>54324898
Sorry, I don't speak cuckold. Can you translate?
>>
>>54324665
fuck off crawford, go nerf a sorcerer or something
>>
>>54324077
Let me see

Storm Kings Thunder - Klauth pp. 95
Out of the Abyss - Themberchaud pp. 66
Princes of the Appcalypse - Halinaxus pp. 145
Rise of Tiamat - Cult Strikes Back and the sacrificial courtyard (dont have page number on me sorry)
TftYP Against the Giants - Brazzemal pp. 207
>>
File: pantomime-vestigials.png (649KB, 500x698px) Image search: [Google]
pantomime-vestigials.png
649KB, 500x698px
>Dwarven tavern owner used to be an adventurer
>Until his arm got broken off during an arm wrestling contest with a troll
>Now he likes for adventurers to gift him with various trinkets and interesting items to decorate the tavern with
>The greater the adventure behind the item, the better

Name me some things he has in the tavern already /tg/
>>
>>54325086
Your post sounds like a thread topic and not like something you would ask /5eg/
>>
>>54324355
The lore bard can just spend Inspiration Dies on any skill check, doesn't have to spend any actions on it.

Get that Bigby's hand in, grapple with your athletics and the hand's strength, inspire yourself, cutting words your target, and you're guaranteed to grapple a God.
>>
>>54325170
I wasn't sure if it was worthy of its own thread. I'll go ahead and make one anyway
>>
>>54323207
Hey man, GWM and SS are better the lower the enemy AC.

>>54324278
Did she get bangbanged?
>>
>>54325232
She teleported out and blew up Waterdeep.
>city of adventurers full of magic items plundered from the Underdark couldn't beat up one fucking dragon
>>
>tfw the party wipes at the white dragon wyrmling because she rolls super well on her breath attack recharge

Man I wanted to them to at least get to Belak and see the end of sunless citadel
>>
What's some motivations for druids?
>>
>>54325271
>blew up Waterdeep
Ugh.
>>
>>54325403
Muh balance of nature
>>
>>54325405
Giants blew up Neverwinter, too.

The Sword Coast has been vastly improved over the course of this campaign.
>>
>>54325403
Teaching niggas crop rotation and other sustainable farming and hunting practices so that they can feed their shitty civilization while taking up less land.
>>
>>54325403
>Muh nature
>Muh balance
Something unnatural is happening
Something has turned natura unbalanced
Nature shall be preserved
BBEG is doing BBEG things to nature
>>
>>54325459
>BBEG
ugh
>>
>>54325403
Kinda like captain planet.
>>
>>54325403
Purge undeads (balanceof life and death)
Seek more power to protect nature and climb the druidic hierarchy
Avenge destruction of a sanctuary
>>
>>54325477
>Seek more power to protect nature and climb the druidic hierarchy
This motivation is cancer. I rather you told me you're a chair some archmage true polymorphed into a person
>>
File: avangion.jpg (138KB, 600x714px) Image search: [Google]
avangion.jpg
138KB, 600x714px
>>54325403
TURN INTO A FUCKING AVANGION
>>
Is it a good idea to dip 4 levels in Warlock to add a more magical twist to an Oathbreaker? I could get 6 cantrips based on CHA with a tomelock.
>>
>>54325403
>find a cure for an old sacred plant or forest, that has been infested/damaged by evil demons/wizards/humans/...

>before being allowed to carry the title of the shaman/(arch)druid of your homeland, you need to wander for 1/10/100 years to gain knowledge about the world and its creatures

>muh nature

>Someone killed/abducted an archdruid or any or all of your druid/elf or holy animal/plant friends and now you want revenge
>>
>>54325403
Balance of good & evil (true neutral adventurer)
>>
>>54325501
>This motivation is cancer.
Why?
>>
"Expanded Spell List: The Archfey lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you."
Do these spells count towards the spells known?
>>
>>54325556
I have first hand experience with this
>PC acts like a complete asshole and a power gamer
>It's what my character would do.
>>
>>54325570
Yes
>>
>>54325403
druids are people too and can have normal motivations. you might want to explore the world or find your lost love.

otherwise, you might be studying how societies can live in harmony with nature, perhaps trying to find a synthesis between nature and civilization (with special emphasis on the habits of monster races). you might be a great hunter who admires the predators of the natural world and wants to bring down a mighty beast. you might want to spread druidism to the benighted city folk. maybe you are insecure in your faith and are looking for something to restore your confidence. or you belong to a sect that believes struggle and hardship are the path to a closer bond with nature, and adventuring is your way of achieving that.

or you might be you might be quietly depressed and hoping to be killed so can reincarnate as something else.
>>
Is there a particular patron I should have if I want to play a CHAllelagh paladin?

Also is there a reason that y'all suggest a warlock 3 dip instead of 4?
I feel like I need all the ASI i can get.
>>
>quietly depressed and hoping to be killed so can reincarnate as something else.
That sounds like an old player of mine who never felt happy with his characters and always got them killed so he could play some other character concept

At least he always did it in ways that didn't fuck over the party
>>
Can a gargoyle pick up someone of their own size category and fly away with them? For a little while at least.
>>
>>54325403
A druid is a "cleric of the old faith"

Anything that goes for a cleric, goes for a Druid, which is anything that goes for anyone
>>
File: 1489311837645.png (52KB, 187x252px) Image search: [Google]
1489311837645.png
52KB, 187x252px
My character is gonna be a Dwarf, and I had the idea of him basically being born into servitude because his clan owes, and has owed, another Dwarven clan a ridiculous amount of gold for a long ass time and by their Dorf laws they can take them as practically slaves (except without the complete lack of rights a slave would have) until the debt has been paid.

It's not super original, but I like it. However, I'm not really sure what kind of ridiculous thing his clan could have done to incur such an enormous debt, and figured I'd ask for ideas here, see if anyone has any fun ideas.
>>
>>54320473
>>My group doesn't even roll initiative. The greatest benefit of this is that there's no clear demarcation between "non-combat" and "combat" interaction, which makes roleplaying way better.
Elaborate? How does this play out? How to determine turns etc.
>>
>>54325642
>Is there a particular patron I should have if I want to play a CHAllelagh paladin?
Fiend Warlock gives you temporary hit points whenever you kill a creature, it is the best of the 3 1st level patron features.
Archfey grants you an AoE charm/fear per short rest.
GOO grants you a better message cantrip at will

>Also is there a reason that y'all suggest a warlock 3 dip instead of 4?
>I feel like I need all the ASI i can get.
In theorycraft, Warlock 4 locks you out of Paladin's 5th level spell slot that it gets at 17th, if you manage to play up to 20th level.
It also delays you one more level from Paladin levels.
>>
So should I take 3 Levels into GOO Warlock for my Swashbuckler or less? I'm going for the Dissonant Whispers + Booming Blade combo.
>>
>>54325722
Destroyed/ruined somehow a literal goldmine? Accidentally collapsed a city? War reparations a la Germany post-WWI?
>>
If I cast booming blade inside of an antimagic field, will the normal melee attack still go off?
>>
>>54325609
He's still a druid though, he needs to follow druidic teachings
>>
>>54325772
You make an attack as part of casting the spell, so even if the spell fails the attack happens.
>>
>>54325678
Any flying creature would do. In the case of same size, with half speed.

>PHB, pg. 195
>Moving a Grappled Creature. When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.
>>
>>54325624
Oh damn, but thanks heaps bro.
>>
>>54325790
>>54325772
Sorry, I mean, technically as part of the action used to cast the spell you make an attack, so casting the spell and the attack are actually slightly seperate.
>>
>>54325762

I like the idea of War reparations. Could even just 1:1 Germany and instead of owing to another singular clan his clan could be indebted to the entire Dwarven Kingdom for fighting a massive war. Would definitely explain how it's so much fucking money.
>>
>>54325798
Didn't even think about applying this to flying speed. Thanks anon.
>>
>>54325774
>implying
>"Nah fellow caster, I need that +1 studed leather armor, I'll just swap the studs with iron wood"
>"I have profiency with alchemyst tools, so how many potions of regeneration and fire breath can I make out of undeads and fiends?
>I can just know these homebrewed spells right? Because my goal is to accumulate power?
>I can just get these other druid class features, right? Because my goal is to accumulate power?
>I can just talk to animals at all times right? Even though it's a whole warlock invocation? I mean, my goal is to accumulate power.

Half the problem is an over indulgent DM
>>
>>54325026
The redhead is much cuter, desu.
>>
>Caltrops on the ground in a hall, goblins behind them taking shots at the party
>Tiefling bard uses thaumaturgy, wants to move them to open up a path
How would you do this? I just had him roll flat d20's and 11 and higher had enough force to move them, but are there actual rules about this?
>>
>>54325919
What
>>
>>54325999
There are no rules for it.
The only thing in Thaumaturgy's description that implies it could move small objects on the ground is
>You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.
>>
>>54325919
The le no metal equipment XD druid meme is the worst thing to ever happen
>>
>>54325999
RAW it doesn't work because it's not in the list of possible effects for the spell, though it does fall within the bounds of possibility since you can slam doors and shit. I think you did ok though in terms of making it a skill check, since clearing an obstacle would be too much to just do for free.
>>
>>54325999
If you were to allow the tremor to move caltrops away I'd rule a Charisma(Athletics) check of 17 (the Caltrops DC + a d4), for the sheer effort of overchanneling that cantrip

>>54326054
I don't even object to druids using metal, so much as the sheer crassness of "no, I asked the DM, that technically counts as roleplay"
>>
File: thistwistedgame.png (87KB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
thistwistedgame.png
87KB, 352x240px
>>54326054
>Paladins don't have to be of X alignment
>Paladins don't have to be within a step of their God
>Paladins don't even need a God
>Paladins can't fall unless they broke their Code
>every Code is open to wide interpretation and can be justified any way you want
>no other class has alignment restrictions, either

>Druids still can't wear a fucking belt with a metal buckle
>>
>>54320078
Monk is the magekiller class, just look at it
>Stunlock
>Large amount of attacks to force several concentration checks
>Sanic speed
>Steroids to get even more mobile/tanky
>Prof in all saves
>Evasion
>Can break out of charm/frightened with an action
>Can turn invisible and either normalgank or astralgank your shit in
>As an added quality of life bonus they're immune to Heat Metal cheese

>Open palm technique is great debuffs
>Shadow is *teleports behind you*
>we dont talk about wot4e
>>
>>54326054
Technically druids can wear metal without losing their powers, but the deal is it's 'disrespectful of the class's intentions roleplay wise'
>>
File: fuckthesemonks.gif (3MB, 300x217px) Image search: [Google]
fuckthesemonks.gif
3MB, 300x217px
>>54326153
>SKT as Armored Monk
>Archmage capable of Time Stop sitting in his private cabin on a boat with King Hekaton and a bunch of cultists aboard
>jump on board with my Rogue pal, start beating up cultists
>hop down to the lower level in search of more
>spot Archmage in his room
>zoom over there and STUNNING BLOW
>disarm his wand and other arcane foci
>over the next three turns, keep Stunning Blow up while breaking every limb of this decrepit old wizard
>pet Axebeak gores him to death
>rest of the party is fending off mer-creatures, cultists, and a jacked-up half-orc superpirate, completely ignorant of the party Fighter effectively soloing an 18th level caster
>>
>>54326153
>>54326228
Then why do people think monks are weak fucks?
>>
Odd question, does anyone have a pdf of the original 5 Shires Gazetteer for Mystara?
>>
>>54326054
>>54326136
>>54326211
>druids kill trees to use their wood and animals to use their bones and hides
>nobody bats an eye
>use bog iron and metal from meteors
>WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

???
>>
>>54326256
One trick pony.
>>
>>54326256
People don't realize Monk is a support class barring magekilling

Your abilities are decent but much more suited for synergizing with a 2nd Frontline battlebuddy

A paladin back to back with a monk is some scary shit
>>
>>54326256
because a single Wall of Force spell renders the monk automatically defeated with no save allowed.
>>
I dislike monks because they feel so out of place in your average d&d campaign setting
>>
>>54326228
Because they don't do as much damage as other martials using GWM/PAM/SS, their AC is reliant on getting obviously cheated rolled stats on a +2/1 Dex/Wis race and dumping several ASIs into them, and most of the shit you want to stun is some beefy bruiser whose Con save is going to laugh at you or a boss with Legendary Resistance (though milling that is still useful).

Some of these problems are solved by not playing a Monk, and instead playing a Fighter or Paladin with Monk levels.
>>
>>54326302
oop >>54326256
>>
>>54324816
Zhegel, Krauvn, Tolar and Vaelstrit
>>
>>54326256
Probably because they don't have anything rivaling GWM to benefit from. Monks are generally fine so long as you don't go 4 Elements
>>
Does anyone have a list of just loot tables? I've been trying to find a good source without having to dig through the dmg pdf every time but the only thing I can find are random generators not the tables themselves.
>>
>>54326295
>average D&D campaign setting
But they all feature places for Monks to come from.
Are you sure you didn't mean "I dislike monks because I play every campaign like it's medieval England from coast to coast and I don't know what a friar is"?

Reminder that Monk was in D&D before fucking Bard, Sorcerer, or Barbarian.
>>
>>54326294
Is wall of force a common threat in your games?
>>
>>54326349
the tools have a loot roller
>>
>>54326295
Yeah, like how crashed space ships, the Planes and certain monsters, a hollowed world, dragons are so out of place in your average D&D campaign setting.
>>
>>54326295
What average DnD setting are you even talking about? Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ebberon, or really any DnD setting I can think of has monks in it
>>
>>54326359
>Random generator
Specifically what I didn't ask for.
>>
>>54326358
It sure is, I'm the one it comes from.

>Wall of Force
>Polymorph
>Hypnotic Pattern
>Levitate
>Plane Shift

I have auto win spells for every flavor of save whenever the DM is feeling like having another episode of asshole in charge.
>>
File: 1500054470334.jpg (274KB, 900x696px) Image search: [Google]
1500054470334.jpg
274KB, 900x696px
>>54326295
>I dislike monks because they feel so out of place in your average d&d campaign setting

monk is one of the earliest D&D classes

it goes fighting-man/magic-user/cleric -> thief and paladin -> monk and assassin (now rolled together with the thief to make our good friend the rogue).

so it's not so much that monks don't suit D&D, it's the fact that D&D settings have drifted away from what the game was originally about.
>>
>>54326399
The only 2 of those monks are susceptible to are Plane Shift and WoF which isn't a problem by monks but one shared by all martials that try fighting a lategame fullcaster.
>>
File: dndforward.png (146KB, 496x755px) Image search: [Google]
dndforward.png
146KB, 496x755px
>>54326420
>drifted away from what the game was originally about
Remind your DM about this the next time he asks for five checks to kick in a door.
>>
>>54326399
Why are you attacking your party's own monk? You're also really overestimating everything you listed aside from Wall of Force in terms of a pvp threat
>>
>NEW THREAD
>>54326527
>NEW THREAD
>>54326527
>NEW THREAD
>>54326527
>>
>>54326267
>Use wood from a dead tree that fell naturally for weapons and scavenge bones and hide from animal carcasses
>>
Tell us about your character, your background, ideals, bonds and all that.
>>
>>54324446
would you rather it be printed as is?
>>
>>54326399
it's true, wall of force is absolutely a monk stopper
provided it's not a shadow monk, and that you win initiative.
>>
>>54326267
>and animals to use their bones and hides
do animals not eat each other in your setting? Are all druids vegan in your setting?
Thread posts: 354
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.