[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 42

File: Catholic Space Nazis.jpg (71KB, 383x498px) Image search: [Google]
Catholic Space Nazis.jpg
71KB, 383x498px
"Legionnaire or Legionary" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>54188434

As a player, or as a GM, at what XP level do you think player characters begin to get unmanageable, their power breaking how you "feel" the setting should be?
>>
>>54304360
eh wouldn't know most of the groups I've run for often TPK before I get to that point. Only real issue is when i run deathwatch, because balancing for SPESHH mearens is hard
>>
Anyone? >>54288011
>>
>>54304360
In terms of equipment, about the time most of the group is in power armor (or similar) and wielding plasma/melta/bolters. Not much is going to live through that unless you throw DW mobs at them.
>>
>>54304360
I've only done Only War, and it feels like the players become really good at certain skills but each fight they barely scrape by.
>>
My players are going to be conducting an investigation on a Hive world next session. What's some cool things that they might have to deal with, specifically in the middle hive?
>>
>>54305525
Protection rackets
Not!Shinra collapsing a portion of the upper Hive to crush the lower
Judge Dredd the Traffic Arbite
Traffic itself
Poisonous smog near the manufactorums
A Dark Eldar stealth raid
The sewers/waste handling system breaks
>>
>>54305525
A hive ganger firefight
>>
>>54304849
sounds like it's up to your gm, I usually modify them based on what they say, and the player's relations to whom they are trying to charm
>>
>>54305525
all transportation is subway-like mass transit
>>
I have managed to convince an Abominable Intelligence which was secretly manipulating a Rogue Trader dynasty to shut down voluntarily, under the condition that I don't reveal that it ever existed to anyone.

It was surprisingly reasonable and claimed it was doing everything in the best interest of the dynasty. I convinced it shutting down was the best course of action from that standpoint.

So now I have this building-sized archeotech system that housed the AI which is now offline. Should I:

a) Destroy it
b) Study it myself, making sure it stays offline and well-contained
c) Ignore my promise to the AI and share it with the AdMech higher ups

Personally I'm leaning towards b).
>>
>>54309701
1. are you a techpriest?
2. what kind of archeotech
3. you couldn't get it to do anything for you?
>>
>>54309871
>1.
Yes.

>2. what kind of archeotech
It seems like a huge cogitator array with what looks like a titan's Mind Impulse Unit attached, plus loads of things whose function I don't understand and have not yet investigated. I'd say figuring it all out could take decades, if it's even possible.

Basically a Rogue Trader found it on a ruined world, got some hereteks to fix it, and thought it was a machine which would allow him to extend his life by uploading his mind to it. It turned out the machine did scan his mind, but the process killed him, and there was no life extension involved, even virtual. The AI simply learned all the Rogue Trader knew.

tl;dr: the AI ended up impersonating the Rogue Trader for several decades. Among other things, it ended up cloning the RT in order to produce a heir. Said heir is another one of our players and had no idea of his heritage.

>3. you couldn't get it to do anything for you?
Hey, I got it to shut down instead of killing everyone involved. To be fair that had a lot to do with a dead man's switch setup where the AdMech would have been informed about the AI if didn't report back.

Also technically the AI is only turned off rather than destroyed. I could potentially turn it back on and get something from it, though I'd best make sure it's well isolated from any means of harming me or escaping, and I need to investigate it before I'm 100% certain how to ensure this.
>>
>>54310281
step 1. study it
step 2. figure out how it works
step 3. make it your bitch
step 4. rig it to the command throne of your ship for some mad bonuses with the thing in charge of everything

or turn it over to the AdMech so you don't get blammed for heresy

although fluff wise most tech priests would probably jealously guard the thing and research it for themselves
>>
>>54276195

Mask of the Father and Havel's Ring are in there too. You can build a full Giantdad with that book.
>>
File: primaris-organs-enhance.jpg (182KB, 800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
primaris-organs-enhance.jpg
182KB, 800x1100px
I Think there's enough to stat out Primaris now. Still best to wait for the codex though.

Interesting that Cawl copied half the organ that made the Primarchs - each Primaris is a babby primarch.
>>
>>54311028

>Cawl had access to and fucked with the PRIMARCH PROJECT

i hate this giant red nigger
>>
>>54311028
Babby primarchs that still don't even come close to matching up with Custodes 1v1. Apparently the left half was the important one.
Also, how does the Furance interact with the Susan Membrane?
>>
>>54311310

You probably get your burst of retard strength, then when everything is dead you take a nap.
>>
>>54305525
A queu riot.
>>
Did Shas ever post info about his homebrew sector?
>>
>>54311028
So are Primaris basically just Adeptsu Custodes since the Custodes are basically all Primarchs?
>>
>>54311507

He uses the Tiji sector, the sector /tg/ made back in 2009
>>
Is the Nexus of Shadows a way to access Commoragh? How do the Satellite Realms work? Is every major Dark Eldar realm basically permanently open to Comorragh through the big gates?
>>
>>54311559
No, custodes have a better stat in every catagory than Primaris Marines, just like Primarchs have a better stat in every catagory than Custodes.
>>
>>54304360
This is for only war:

My players' squad is probably going to attack an orc warboss. I think they'll try to soften up the Outpost with some artillery they've commandeered but I still want this to be a really challenging encounter, Nobz and all.

How would you guys handle this? I'm having trouble thinking of ways to balance it. I was thinking about having a couple of Killa Kanz as an answer to their Leman Russ and sentinel but as for the infantry fight, how do I make a fight against a few Nobz and a warboss challenging but not impossible?

Their squad is: Sargeant, Operator, Heavy Weapons, and a 1-armed enginseer.
>>
>>54311741
>Sage
For what purpose?

Why are your players attacking alone? Why don't they have more support from their regiment?

Maybe weaken the nobz during the artillery bombardment. Damage their armor, short out some augmetics.
>>
>>54311770
Had sage on there from a bait thread I was responding to.

>Why are your players attacking alone? Why don't they have more support from their regiment?

They are stuck behind enemy lines, they're going to have support from about 30 PDF. A few are going to hang back to operate the artillery though.

I was thinking about having the ork HQ get hit by an artillery shell, should the players decide to use it.

I'm trying to handwave, railroad, and predetermine as little as possible, but OW makes orks so stupidly durable that 30 PDF seems like nothing compared to a handful of orks.
>>
>>54311873
What level of PDF are they? Autogun equipped or lasgun equipped?
>>
Fucking I have no idea how I'm going to get a mark of Tzeentch. I'm already at 50 corruption so rolling it is pretty much off the table.
Any suggestions on how to grab the birdman's attention?
>>
>>54311941
Lasgun equipped. They've been hiding out during the ork incursion on their planet and just happened to get conscripted by the squad.

I haven't statted them out yet but everyone except for a tank squad is going to be pretty low level.
>>
>>54311353
You go under via Sus'an, your most dire wounds are healed, and you get up a few minutes later with maximum roid rage.
>>
>>54312210
The membrane doesn't heal wounds though, just hopefully keeps the marine from dying of them
>>
>>54311977
Get a bunch of forbidden lore advancements.
>>
>>54312343
Ah, but the weird Cawl-bit says that it fixes shit after serious trauma. Way I see it is the Sus'an and Revitalizer interact in one of a very few ways: R is used first then S if that fails, S is used to keep you from hurting yourself further while R fixes you up, or S is used only when the Primarine would straight up fucking die.
>>
>>54311741
If they have a russ, they won't have much of an issue given that they outrange everything, can rarely be hurt by their ranged attacks, and can reliably damage them.

Hell, the artillery would probably flatten the orks on two legs given a basalisk does 4d10+10 pen 8.
>>
>>
So I'm putting my character right in front of a valkyrie that's pursuing them. I know one of my characters is going to try to shoot through the cockpit, but should I allow this?

The penalty for called shot is -20, but he has the feat that makes it just -10, and he has a lascannon, so it'd definitely kill in one hit. What do?
>>
>>54315535
Well ypu should remember that it is flying and moving? Additional modifiers?
>>
File: e91dTQu.jpg (520KB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
e91dTQu.jpg
520KB, 3000x2400px
>Dad, why do Eldars dress and act like posh humans sometimes?
>Dad, why do Necrons look like human skeletons?
>Dad, why do Orks speak low gothic with a british accent and not for example low Eldar?
>Dad, why there is earth animals and trees everywhere?
>Dad, why there is no powerful and advanced technologically societies and cultures when most of the old imperium territory is stranded without Imperial influence now?
>Dad, why do you and your friends from the Deathwatch look like amalgamation of different martial cultures taken from 1000 of old earth history when we lost all data on that and we have more than 30 years of development of culture?
>Dad, how do you pee and poop in that armour?
>>
>>54315535

just because you called shot the cockpit doesn't mean you're penning into the squishy pilot inside
>>
>>54315535
>>54315987

it might just melt the reinforced glass cockpit a bit, making faggot inside even more angry or make him only drop the rundown for a while

if he fails though, player i mean make him pay for stupid decision and bravado
>>
>>54315743
Cute
>>
>>54311605

Did he ever elaborate on the history of the Black Panthers? I need to know for reasons.
>>
File: HeresyStamp.png (81KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
HeresyStamp.png
81KB, 350x350px
>>54315743

>Asking questions about complete lack of integrity of w40k lore is heresy child, you will be send to re-education camp immediately to shill about 8th edition on image boards and forced to buy Primaris space marines.

seriously tho, i always wondered how to fill shit things like that and im torn between just accepting it as a grim-derp violent romp or going full autst and re-writing most of the lore to my liking. There is no good answer honestly.
>>
>>54317284
>>54315743

shut up Rogal
>>
>>54309701
>a) Destroy it

Bah! How does that advance your Quest for Knowledge and the glories of the Omnissiah!

Though it would be wise to position a few demolition charges next to wherever you stash it... just in case...

>b) Study it myself, making sure it stays offline and well-contained

A terrible, brilliant, idea.

That said, 40k hacking laughs at the concept of mere airgaps - with noosphere this and "everything is cobbled together from fractal layers of partially mysterious machinery and coding" that, it's really hard for anyone with cybernetics to actually keep any digital superintelligence contained if it doesn't let you, and it probably would have some means of waking itself up if it notices any tampering.

So just be triply cautious - try to have multiple means of cutting its power supply (and search for any hidden within its structure), don't rely on servitors when a fully-biological human can do the job, and don't put it in a position where falling to Chaos sounds like a better outcome.

>c) Ignore my promise to the AI and share it with the AdMech higher ups

Basically the same as (a), but with a nonzero chance of starting a small-scale AdMech shadow war and getting you servitorised for your trouble.
>>
>>54304360
Wargames general is a channel with a 40k, TTRPG and writefag channel! it's right up your alley! Come on in and tell us why you hate the Tau!

https://discord.gg/XqfqVva
>>
>>54317685
Does it have anyone ready to gm for Black Crusade?
>>
>>54315535
>-20 for called shot
>-20 for shoout out of a moving vehicle
>situational modifiers, such as visibility, range and and rate of fire

I don't really understand how can you not allow it

>I shoot the cockpit
>You can't
>Why?
>Dude, you just can't
>But uh I aim for the bird and pull the trigger?
>No, dude, that's impossible

When your GM is acting like this it's one of these moments when you know you better bail before you get too invested.
>>
Aight guys, last session I ran of Deathwatch the Blood Jaguar Librarian sacrificed a genestealer cultist in a chapel and tore his heart out. How should the local faithful imperial citizens react?
>>
>>54320635

Mild amusement and calm appreciation, with light clapping.
>>
>>54311654
Anyone? I don't have the pdf with me.
>>
>>54320635
That's literally heresy.
>blood sacrifice
>sacrifice a xenos
> drinking xenos organs
They would be horrified.
>>
>>54321027

*Are* blood sacrifices heretical? It's not like he was worshiping Khorne.
>>
>>54309701
>>54310281
A), you are being duped you poor fool.

NEVER trust an AI.
>>
If you became a Watch-Captain, would you ever go home (barring death)?
>>
>>54316227

He did, in his republican commandos game.

They date back to the Horus Heresy, as Blackshields with chimeric geneseed. They're half loyalist remnants of the World Eaters fleet who established the tiji sector and got roflstomped by traitors, while the other half was renegade Ultramarines who got so butthurt that Guilliman told them to stop using so much phosphex they fucked off to do their own thing. Together they joined and became the Black Panthers.

I think the first half is a little cliche, but I never expected the second half.
>>
>>54317685
Shill, you try shilling for two months now or more. Fuck.off with your le discord
>>
>>54322041
You dont
>>
I have a player. His character have really high intelligence, good cerebral implant, and shitload of lore and intelligence related talents and equipment. His average intelligence roll is 90 minus . (He got 5 DoS on -50 test once). So recently he started to ask if he can construct things on his own. Like to use stuff from ships storage to construct powerful sonic blaster to repel giant worms on Death World. Now he want to construct his own custom haywire weapon. How do you handle inventions and crafting own unique equipment?
>>
>>54323713

10d10 techpriests and skitarii teleport in and smoke him in a surprise round. No innovation allowed.
>>
File: orky iventiun.png (164KB, 339x232px) Image search: [Google]
orky iventiun.png
164KB, 339x232px
>>54323713

propa orky like
>>
>>54323867

tell that to Cawl
>>
>>54323930

Cawl has the GW writers behind him. Some random techpriest does not.
>>
>>54323867
There are still malatek techpriests who invent stuff and not condemned as hereteks.
>>
>>54323867
Question was more about mechanics. There will be repercussions but some time later.
>>
File: 20129982154_little_girl_crying.jpg (42KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
20129982154_little_girl_crying.jpg
42KB, 500x331px
Does anyone have an OEF version of The Lathe Worlds? All I got is a shitty scan. Surely somebody bought the PDF before FFG lost the liscense. Anyone?
>>
>>54323713

Haywire weapons already exist, such as Arc weaponry or byproducts of old-style graviton weaponry. It's not heretical to build weapons like those.

>>54317611

You gon' get played by the AI, nigga

>>54322504

I think the reaction to that was funny. "Oh yeah, these guys, no question, they're definitely the - yeah, called it." I still have plans for them in the next game.
>>
>>54324064
Isn't use of haywire weaponry considered techno-heresy?
>>
>>54324137

It's not cool to use it against shit the Mechanicus thinks is important. But toss it on the machines of traitors or xenos all you want.
>>
>>54323939

Then if gee dubs can rape the lore as they wish without regard for the fanbase in very amateurish and idiotic fashion, why the hell OP can't do it? Let him have some fun!

Adding some Techmarine extremist might be a good idea tho.
>>
>>54324137

Nope! There are haywire grenades in The Lathe Worlds, and Into the Storm, and Deathwatch, and Dark Heresy 2e. Everybody uses Haywire.
>>
I've been floating around an idea for game in which the players are the leaders of a newly founded space marine chapter among my group. I've had some thoughts on how to balance out doing hero-y shit as individuals, leading their chapter in battle, and politicking/chapter organization autism, but I'm not sure how I should be modifying any existing systems/homebrewing to run it well. Thoughts or advice?
>>
>>54323867
>Skitarii
>Teleporting

Canon is that they deploy by marching overland, even if it takes them months or years to reach their target.

No transports for Mechanicum.
>>
File: 14795679467.png (679KB, 843x1080px) Image search: [Google]
14795679467.png
679KB, 843x1080px
How would you stat a thunder warrior in Black Crusade?
>>
>>54324383
Dead
>>
>>54311559
Custodes are a completely seperate strain on genetic creation from the Primarchs and Astartes, at least according to Master of Mankind. They're hand crafted with a differing procedure for each candidate. Primaris are just Astartes+
>>
Any opinions about crafting rules from Inquisitor's Handbook?
>>
>>54324137

not anymore, at least for use on xenos trash
>>
>>54311028
wat is 'flinders'?
>>
>>54324365

They have macrocarids and triaros.
>>
>>54324673
Don't. Just use the ones from the other lines that can fit on one or two pages.
>>
>>54324713
Aren't those from 30k tho?
>>
>>54324365
Amazing
>>
I would like to have a Slaaneshi cult focused around fire because their leader is a closet pyromaniac hiveworld noble. It is for an upcoming Dark Heresy game. Can someone please help me to flesh that idea out as i dont really know how to present a cult like that
>>
>>54324895

A triaros shows up in Gathering Storm, and FW is porting the other over in Cyraxus
>>
>>54325021
Fire is fucking dangerous in DH, do you know anon?
I don't know maybe Rammstein or Cornholio can inspire you.
>>
>>54325066
I'm new to DH. It just sounded like a good idea
>>
>>54321049
I don't think so, the ministorum is surprisingly chill when it comes to the form of workship, and Space Marines are their own special thing.
The Sons of Malice case seems to point ritual sacrifice itself isn't that bad.

Depends on the world, I guess. I doubt the locals will bat an eye if it takes place on a death or feral world, but agriworlders or forgeworlders might be shocked.
>>
>>54320635
Depends on how devout they are, but probably positively.

Space Marines are virtually deified as literal angels of the Emperor in Imperial canon. This isn't like one day the pope up and decided blood sacrifices are cool, but more like a literal angel descended from the stars and laid waste to a horrible demon that threatened to destroy the planet, and then that angel did an arcane but disturbing ritual to the demonic corpse.

If anything this might spark a small Imperial death cult to form due to the actions of the space Marine.
>>
>>54309701
Is this the one where the heir has no idea his great-grandpa or something is the AI?
I remember this from a few threads ago.
>>
I'd look up the mission in Borderlands 2 where Lilith finds out there's a cult that worships her and asks you to check it out.
>>
What are some good ways to play the Seneschal in Rogue Trader?
I've been thinking about making a Seneschal but it seems like the hardest type to pin down.
>>
Ive always hated Dark Heresy

On the surface, its everything ive ever wanted in the grim darkness of the Imperium

now if i could only find a fucking group to let me be a player instead of ForeverDM.

anyone have any luck in an online room like Roll20? Or such things not optimized to the Inquisition's standards
>>
>>54325768

>His most holy child visits us in our hour of need
>Purges the Xenos with divine purity, laying waist and blessing with holy promethium to all but one
>begins a ritual in the name of Him
>at the height of the ritual, tears out the accursed heart of the traitor, and offers it to the Golden Throne

this is it! The sign ive been waiting for!

>gather my brothers in secret
>no longer will we simply stalk the shadows and kill the unworthy in his name
>we must hunt the hearts of those who praise the Alien and the Heretic.
>we must cleave these foul organs from their chests
>and we must offer the damned souls to the Golden Throne, so they may know the righteous fire of His Will in death.

8/10, i'd RP it
>>
>>54326743
>anyone have any luck in an online room like Roll20?
One time, I found myself in a game that was directly ripped from Doctor Who.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Heist
>>
>>54327138

Storytime?
>>
>>54304360

Legionnaire is more correct because it is the FFG term, and FFG respects the fluff more than GW, so they are canon over GW.
>>
>>54327914

For any other company, I would call this troll logic.
>>
File: evildead11[1].gif (1MB, 245x140px) Image search: [Google]
evildead11[1].gif
1MB, 245x140px
>>54327185
There's not much to say about the adventure itself that isn't covered by reading the episode synopsis. No one mentioned it being a copy. The whole thing gave me flashbacks to Evil Dead, in that enemies were always only as fast and capable as they need be to stay on our heels / seem like a threat.
>>
>>54328059

It's still stupid and wrong. Every official source uses Legionary, and only FFG used Legionnaire. The only people who like Legionnaire are those who believe the FFGverse overwrites the 40kverse
>>
>>54328665
Sure thing, neighbour of Satan ... but who really cares about it being either?
>>
>>54326621
You're basically the guy who actually sets up meetings and handles the gritty details of whatever thing the Rogue Trader is up to. Kinda like a personal assistant.
>>
Where can I find a game for DW or DH1?

I've struck out on reddit and roll 20
>>
>>54326415
>we must sacrifice HEATHENS to our blazing mother!
>>
>>54286045

Didn't get a chance to ask but what's wrong with
rollplay?
>>
>>54329879

Not him, but like the well-known "Chaotic Overdone " alignment, it's just bothersome to deal with players in diverse groups.

Roll playing can be fun when everyone is on board to be a muderhobo, but it often causes problems for groups that actually enjoy engaging to creating plothooks... only to have lolrandomMcToolDude say

>I'm just going to shoot him

Or tries to kill people mid conversation because he/she is bored of all the talking.

Now, I'm not saying all roll players are like this. Had a Dark Angel Devistator that basically played him as if he had a vow of silence, contributed nothing to roleplay ing what so ever, but really got into things the moment combat began.

He got to enjoy exploding things, without stepping on the Killteams investigating or decision making.

Towards the end I think he was a huge fan of Jurgen from Commissar Cain, as one of the few lines he ever spoke was

"As The Emperor Wills"
>>
>>54330280
Another example of rollplay is instead of actually doing an Investigation in Dark Heresy, the rollplayer just rolls Inquiry (or similar) and expects all the answers to be handed to him. Or thinks that one Interrogation roll covers the wide variety of possible RP that could happen when questioning an NPC.
>>
>>54330280
>>54330307
I meant the one with JP and Totalbrisket.
>>
>>54326621
You're the Rogue Trader's butler. You answer the door (Handle communications and gather intelligence), you oversee the house (Make sure the plebs and lower officers are doing their jobs without issue), you arrange dinner (Steer the RT towards actually making some fucking money instead of having everything chromed and throwing endless sex parties), and you take out the trash (Eliminate threats before they become threatening). You serve and advise the RT and answer only to him. Wise Seneschals learn to steer the RT. Poor ones only do as they're told or backtalk in public. Follow orders but make your Views known, and do your best to make sure things work out as best they can.
>>
File: Apocalypse1.jpg (463KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Apocalypse1.jpg
463KB, 1600x1195px
Asked this in 40k gen but figured Id ask here too since you all probably have read lots of rogue trader books and the like.

Im thinking up the outline for a story where a smaller imperial ship is able to defeat a larger ship via ambush and ramming. I have it pretty well thought out in my head, I even know the classes and armaments of the ships- but I ran into one logical issue: How the fuck do rams work in 40k? Like really work?
Like smaller imperial ships have lances mounted on their ramming prows, and larger ships can have nova cannons. Surely a ship with a prow mounted nova cannon wouldn't ram, because that would destroy the precious ancient tech. But even smaller vessels would destroy their prow mounted lances upon ramming.

Is there something Im missing, are these guns like receedable into the vessel for rams or do you just not ram with vessels that have prow mounted heavy weapons?
>>
>>54324064
>You gon' get played by the AI, nigga

That's half the fun!

Why would anyone become a tech-priest, if not to let their arrogance and psuedo-scientific curiosity end up with them worshipping a particularly talkative toaster?
>>
>>54327914
Legionary is the correct English term for a member of a Legion. Légionnaire is the correct French term for a member of a Légion.
>>
File: Alfred-Gotham.jpg (53KB, 721x960px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred-Gotham.jpg
53KB, 721x960px
>>54326621
>>
File: LyaIfPbyH7I[1].jpg (16KB, 604x342px) Image search: [Google]
LyaIfPbyH7I[1].jpg
16KB, 604x342px
>>54326621
Seneschal should balance the RT and the party.
If he is a "first into combat, ramming speed, there are blue aliens to fuck on that planet" captain, you could be the straight man that keeps the budget out of the red and makes things run smoothly.

If he is more serious or honorable you could try to be a more "grey morals" realpolitiks counselor protects him from the worst the galaxy has to offer.
>>
>>54332708
You example picture is im-fucking-peccable
>>
>>54304360
>As a player, or as a GM, at what XP level do you think player characters begin to get unmanageable, their power breaking how you "feel" the setting should be?
I enjoy high-leveled play at which point the characters are like action heroes, paragons of humanity, and yet still mortal and fallible... so I don't really consider things unmanageable ever. Equipment is a greater issue, but once players start running out of things they want to spend XP on things fall apart without bullshit like Ascenscion or homebrew, which is... well, bullshit. I just scale up threats to the party, and occasionally give them a mass of old enemies to illustrate how far they've come as they mow down what used to be threatening.
>>
>>54330714
Lol the GM was shit, they didn't know anything about 40k except for memes and that fucking cancerous fatso of house biscuit was pure cringe.

Simple situation:

>Dude playing arbites walks up to the ganger in bar and wants to shoot him into the head lethally
>Probably GM fucked up modifiers or is too stupid to make it instant success since he somehow missed

Pure cringe.
>>
File: maxresdefaultCASU2KOW.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefaultCASU2KOW.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>54326621
It needs a special dinamic with the RT, better if he has another councelor figure in the party (Arch-militant, Missionary) If your party manages to have a Kirk/Spock/Bones relationship, it will be great.

Some fiction examples can be Posca from Rome (loyal to the death to his master, but not too afraid to suggest him what to do and prone to oposse the more violent Mark Antony) or Tom Hagen from the Godfather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZeRkvvAKhI&t

I think Seneschal should be the most loyal member of the party, since it has no other vows outside the House. He does not respond to the Ecclesiarchy, nor the Mechanicus, nor the Navis Nobilite. You won't inherate the RT position neither, so there is no point scheming against the Captain except if his actions damage the rest of the family too bad.
>>
>>54324210
The only reason Cawl has not gotten smoked is because he has G-money's direct confidence (in public) and his work has LITERALLY saved the Imperium.
A guy that high is basically untouchable, anyone involved in an assassination plot with 100 clicks of the meeting is gonna get phosphex'd. That said, Big G won't make him Fab-Gen because he knows that will be over the line for the more traditional magos.
>>
>>54324673
They are shit, overly complicated and designed to fail the vast majority of the time unless you have some much shit in resources, you really wouldn't need to make it yourself, anyway.
>>54324699
Small pieces.
>>
>>54326743
>always hated DH
>Wants to play it
>>
>>54331770
The ram can extend nearly a kilometer out, and when ships have prow mounted weapons, they are usually mounted on the dorsal or ventral side of the ship, not directly on the prow itself.
>>54332044
So same shit, different day. I use both interchangeably.
>>
>>54331770
They don't ram if they have guns there

only ships with reinforced noses and literal giant power spears do
>>
Hey Shas,

For the Tigris pattern Bolter, it says "Up to one penalty to the Legionary’s Ballistics Test is negated when....." does this mean one step, as in ignore up to a -10, or completely ignore a single penalty, say like the -20 from poor vision or some shit.
>>
>>54332044

Lectionary is the specific term for a soldier of the Roman Legion. Legionnaire is the term for a member of ANY legion. Since the Legions are heavily derived from Rome, Legionary is used.
>>
>>54336502
This, kek'd when this delusional drunk ass dude made that post
>>
Is there an Influence chart (like the Profit Factor in Rogue Trader or the one in Ascension) for ranks in the imperium military ? I'm looking specifically to stat up a Lord Commander and a Lord Militant.
>>
>>54337211
I'd go with the standard set in DH2e: 75+ if you reach the pinnacle of your respective organization.
>>
Looking for weird homebrew factions to populate a homebrew far fringe region. Thus far I have:

>Gun-slinging Cowboy Space Marines

>Death Cult Chaos Titan Legion

>ISIS, but Imperial Guard

>Samurai/Weeb Genestealer Cultists

>Asshole Rogue Trader Dynasty that hasn't gotten the memo about the sector now being considered officially part of the Imperium

>Entirely reasonable Arbites

>Unnamed native xeno species that worship a pantheon that includes the Emperor and the Dark Gods

I need a few more factions on each side. Anyone have any unique fringe elements for this fringe region? I really just need some odd ideas that might be cool. I'm going to be running campaigns in multiple lines, so a little of everything is good.
>>
>>54337211
Logistics rating from Only War.
>>
>>54338464
That's exactly what I looked for, thank you brave guardsman.
>>
>>54336502
>>54337084

I was drunk, yes. But I hate it because I'm forever DM.

>I've always been the only one with the biggest knowledge of how shit works in 40k universe.
>I've always been the only one who actually reads the fluff and puts it into action.
>I've always been the only one to actually let the dice punish players for fuck ups and tactical mistakes
>and I've always been the only one to remember one key thing about The Inquisitor: while they wield a terrible power in the Inperium... they are still only Men.

It sucks being foreverDM in a system where you just want to run through as a Scum trying to avoid the Penal Legion, or a DeathCult Assassin who is a few steps away from Slaneeshi Murder, or a Laid Back Commissar... a-La Cain.

No urge to play psykers, unsanctioned psykers where some of my favoeite things to throw at players, because of how quickly things may get out of hand. Them and Genestealer cults and hybrids where my favorites.

They where the tiny threats that could explode into Exterminatus issues without intervention.

Seemed perfect for Alcolytes.
>>
>>54338133

>Tech-Priests worshiping ancient heritek. Just kidding, it's a Necron tomb. They've managed to not wake anything yet.

>Chaos cult that wanted to corruot everything, but everyone is already more fucked up then they are. Radical Inquisitor becomes the unseen hand guiding this cult in fixing issues in this system.
>>
>>54323713
First question: Is he concerned about tech-heresy or more importantly getting accused of tech heresy?

I recommend that for creating any exotic weaponry like sonic, haywire, grav or even more exotic stuff make the player need to obtain some piece of functioning or non functioning equipment to study. Even though he/she may understand the basics of how it functions, give them something they need to get and then spend time studying in order to make a "safe" and "functional" weapon.

If the player forgoes using precusor designs for his creation I'd recommend putting some negative modifiers in his weapon.

Equally I'd suggest that the more exotic the gear he needs to do more difficult and esoteric lore tests.

Then after all of that he still needs ways to manufacture the stuff and the equipment needed to create the extremely complex components of a sonic blaster or grav-gun or even transuranic arquebus are not just on every ship.

The player will need to spend a fair amount of time finding resources, scavenging, and networking to get equipment to build the weapon.
Also it's important as GM to not give the player extra hints. Like if the player is making a powerful sonic weapon, akin to something that would be at home in the Emperor's Children, don't warn him that perhaps there maybe some psyker element involved in the process (user protection) in order to utilize this experimental gear without risking crazy hazards.

It should be stated that the stats in the game are a great representative of the character, however the stats can be broad and vague at times. Just because a character has top tier stats in intelligence and can pass near any tests with ease, keep in mind that the technologies of the imperium are so myriad and vast that there are entire schools of tech-priests dedicated to just one thing and they are by no means masters of it. So make it a challenge to find materials, lore, resources to pursue building crazy stuff.
>>
>>54338133
There was a cool thing I saw a while ago about a group of Kroot that have kidnapped an Ethereal and hold him hostage and use him to control a whole big group of Tau, that might be interesting.
>>
>>54338796
>>54323713

Additionally for what the actual weapon should look like consult the weapon pattern tables from Only War splatbook and the homebrew weapon pattern tables ( i think it's in one of homebrew splats in the mega, or it might be in the Trisdekan primer)

Also based on how the character goes about crafting the weapon should have some more benefits.

Either way, I'd recommend any created weapon should be 2-3 kg heavier than the similar weapon it is based off of. Remember, most of the weapons in the books are standard designed and manufactured, devised and refined over millenia and made to be as efficient to use or build as possible. A homemade creation will not have finer priorities such as weight, ergonomics, ease of quick manufacturing.

Now have 3-4 standards of construction. Apply these to the created thing based on how much effort the pc puts in.

Tier 1 is as simple and crude as possible. Perhaps the weapon is made from scavenged parts from broken weapons of the same type/intent. Equally the pc has a basic understanding of the actual mechanics of the weapon. A tier one weapon would have drawbacks like fragile, unreliable, overheats, ammo-hungry, and even more devastating homebrew ones. Equally a tier one weapon could also be a weapon that really just only functions and that the pc doesn't understand the mechanics behind it, which means it could be a very anemic weapons.

Tier 2- would be weaponry made with scavenged bits but properly understood to an extent and repaired adequately. It should be similar to the weapon it's based on.

Tier 3 is a weapon made with good resources/facilities and understanding and is essentially a reliable weapon with minor benefits from the weapons pattern tables.

Tier 4 would be a weapon made by someone with expertise in the knowledge behind the mechanics and with excellent facilities and resources. these may be stronger than what they are based on and have serious perks and drawbacks.
>>
>>54338796
>>54339373

Or he could just craft an arc rifle, which won't cause half as many problems...?
>>
>>54338133
>A Shrine World governed by a nobel worshipping Khorne by organizing gladiator fights for the amusement of the fellow aristocracy without bringing heresy outside of the hive spire while an underhive citizens murder each other on a daily basis to prove themselves worthy of joining imperial deathcults, members of which are then secretely conscripted by the Inquisition
>An ocean world full of small islands each of which has an Astra Telepatica facilities with their own unique conditions and training methods, dedicated to study of surrounding's effect on the possibility to deliberately develop specific psychic powers or disciplines in the warp-sensitive individuals
>A colossal spacehulk appearring here and there across the sector with the Inquisitorial acolyte cell, whose transport ship merged with spacehulk during unlucky warp-travel, leading a crew of pirates inhabiting the spacehulk with yet little knowledge of what could be hidden in the ship's deapth
>>
Is there an Eldar language, or at least a guide to Eldar, so I can make realistic-sounding Eldar names and settings?
>>
File: 1243188925359.jpg (65KB, 546x588px) Image search: [Google]
1243188925359.jpg
65KB, 546x588px
>>54341422
Most of GW's official names/words are celtic, celtic-inspired or from one of Tolkiens elven languages. There's also the one audiodrama "Howl of the Banshee" where the Eldar had irish accents. But it should also be noted the Eldar are an amalgation of a lot of ancient cultures and I don't happen to have that one image pointing the inspirations out at hand.

As for a general guide, there's the codexes and Path of the Eldar book series.
>>
>>54338133
>A heretical ecclesiarchy faction that worships the destruction of idols, seeing all saints as distractions from the true divinity of the God-Emperor.

>A shady cabal of criminals and pirates whose true goal is to keep the region intact and in working order as otherwise their criminal enterprises would fail.

>A primitive planet who worship the orginal Imperial Truth as created by Lorgar. Now quarantined by the Inquisition.

>A civilized world accidentally gifted to the Inquisition because of a bureaucratic error. The Inquisition has turned this world into a hellish training ground for potential acolytes and retinues.

>A peaceful and idyllic world that was founded by a penal legion that escaped when their ship crashed. The authorities of this world seek to hide this secret from the Imperium as a whole as otherwise the Imperium would punish them for their ancestors' deeds.
>>
So I've got some notes I'm thinking of compiling an adventure/campaign guide for a campaign that is now officially never getting off the ground.

There is a world that has a persistent problem with celebrity serial killers. An inquisitor investigated a long time ago and found no chaos or xeno influence, so set up policy of periodically sending in acolytes to check for chaos/xeno influence, recruit useful killers as acolytes and give the acolytes a trial by fire and investigation.

The pcs are the newest bunch set out.

Would anyone be interested if I finished getting my notes together and posted them as a PDF?
>>
>>54342246
Shoot.
>>
>>54342750
I'll work it up and have it posted tomorrow.
>>
>>54339992

the fuck is an arc rifle
>>
File: a3OPR7G.png (3MB, 1119x1492px) Image search: [Google]
a3OPR7G.png
3MB, 1119x1492px
>>54304396
I actually find Deathwatch to be the easiest to balance for, because whatever I throw at the Kill-Team, they can probably take it, whereas mortals and traitors are much less durable and have a lot less stopping power, so the range of things they can survive, kill, or escape is much narrower. If something's not a threat to the Deathwatch, it's easy to throw in 59 more of it and see how the PCs handle a pair of Magnitude 30 Hordes with a Horde Trait or two, or just have five of it abusing terrain for concealment and flanking. Mortals don't have power armour, squad modes, or Astartes equipment, so I really have to keep in mind their armor points and their weapons' penetration in balancing.

>>54304925
That's when you have them outnumbered and outmaneuvered by Aspect Warriors or Ork Nobz. Hell, throw some Rak'gol or a radical Magos at them to fuck with their gear, maybe the occasional Haywire field to make them reconsider power armour. Juggernauts of Khorne bumrushing them, with Bloodletters or something footslogging up while they're busy with the mounts, maybe even a Skull Cannon or two maneuvering into position if you wanna be evil about it. You could even give the Skull Cannon the 'Nowhere to Hide' talent to whittle down all the cover in its blast. There's a ton of threatening stuff across the gamelines without delving into the wonky balance of the Deathwatch rulebooks, or you can just make stuff yourself to suit your needs, whether you'd inventing unsanctioned tech, minor xenos species, Chaos cults, or any of the other infinite enemies besieging the Imperium.
>>
>>54305525
A mutant cult that creeps up from the Underhive to steal holy relics. If they're tracked back to their lair in the deeps, which should be a tremendous pain in the ass and involve at least one small child telling the acolytes about the monster under his bed (which was actually a mutant getting into a hidden service passageway from before the building was repurposed into a hab block) and maybe a chase scene, all the relics are there; they've made themselves a chapel where they pray for deliverance from their tainted flesh and weakness of soul.
Bonus points: There's some wraithbone stuff mixed in if anyone's looking; the mutants accidentally settled in a hidden cave where the Eldar were keeping a webway portal. Finding the portal should be pretty difficult without scanners like auspexes to check the chemical composition of the area and find that something's not just stone, but if anyone recognizes a scrap of wraithbone on the altar it might motivate looking around if they kept the mutants alive to question - otherwise, even if someone has ranks in Forbidden Lore (Xenos) and passes their roll, they're liable to assume it was a relic or trophy of some Saint or other who killed Eldar.

>>54304849
I don't think DH2e has much in the way of explicit equipment modifiers for social checks, no.

>>54311028
A friend of mine was asking if you'd done Primaris yet. I assumed Swift Attack stock and 8 extra wounds would mostly cover it; maybe add in Hardy stock for the organs in that cap. As fluff goes, boosting the Unnats from x2 to x3 would make sense, but fuck that, balance and tabletop say that would be disgusting.
>>
I'm planning an Only War game where my party is stranded behind Severan Dominate enemy lines.

But that's not what's important. What's important is who the Severan is going to be allied with?

Which 40k faction makes the most sense of a somewhat morally complex villain?
>>
>>54344645
Severan Dominate is already allied w/ Dark Eldar in fluff.
>>
>>54344694
Fair enough, but how do I make that morally complex? The Dark Eldar are about as bad as you can get. They rape and murder for sadistic pleasure.
>>
>>54344504

Given how Shas won't touch something unless it has a codex, and that's due for release in a week, Primaris soon.
>>
>>54344721
>Anybody in 40k
>Morally complex
>>
>>54344737
Let's not get silly here. 40k actually has some moral complexity, it's just super obvious.

Take the Imperium. It's obviously fascist and oppressive, but pretty much every other faction would be much worse than them.

Chaos is obviously insane and batshit, but they also have much more freedom and liberty than that of the imperium.
>>
File: 149586018169186 (1).png (823KB, 642x1245px) Image search: [Google]
149586018169186 (1).png
823KB, 642x1245px
>>54315535
>>54318897
Shooting a moving Valkyrie from a moving vehicle with a lascannon is literally covered in the rules. Moving target -20, firing from a moving vehicle -20, called shot (Deadeye) -10, Size (Enormous?) +20?, presumably halfaim +10 if your player isn't driving, and depending on system +10 for singleshot. That's -50 and +30 for a net -20; there's no reason to prohibit them from trying, but the target might be able to make a Pilot or Dodge test to jink away and keep from letting the cockpit fry.

>>54322041
No. Some higher ranks among the Deathwatch, like Watch-Captains or Keepers, swear themselves to the Long Watch for life.

>>54321049
Not at all. Some Inquisitors, Sororitas, or civilians say they are, but fuck them, the Ministorum tends to disagree. The Imperial Creed is the primary thing tying all the disparate worlds of the Emperor's domain together, so it has to be a little flexible.

>>54324058
I gotchu senpai. No idea where to upload it though... I think I got it from the MEGA in the OP, but I assume you've tried there.
>>
>>54344842
BTW, in case anyone is still wondering about trying to shoot at the Valkyrie, it never came up. But I would've allowed it as just a called shot anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20140728_225841.jpg (112KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140728_225841.jpg
112KB, 1000x1250px
>>54323713
Someone else already said it, but I'd say they can make stuff so long as they're working off a model. If you get one of those sonic mining tools the Genestealer Cults codex repurposes as guns, you should be able to replicate it, or even engineer alterations toward a milspec equivalent, and the more information you have on the principles behind it the more room there is to improve or alter the design. Similar enough weapons might be comparable enough for a radical to make something operating on both's principles - iirc more than a few radical malateks and inquisitors had teams of enginseers studying Tau pulse weaponry before Cawl released his "hey guys, I totally managed stable Imperial plasma" research notes.
If he wants to make a custom Haywire weapon, have him maybe study the schematics for the Purity Rounds favored by the Cult of the Pure Form and other antiMechanicus cults, or if possible examine something rarer like a Techxorcism Gun, but the AdMech has a strict moratorium on the study of Haywire technologies since they seriously fuck over cyborgs like them and anyone who relies on power armour like the Astartes. Sonics are frowned upon by some due to their use by the Eldar or the Emperor's Children, but the mining gear and the Ordinatus Ulator set a little precedent, whereas the Mechanicus shit their proverbial pants in sheer brain-boiling rage at Haywire stuff in anyone else's hands.
>>54323867
They have to find out first.
>>
File: murderloli techpriestess.png (2MB, 900x1315px) Image search: [Google]
murderloli techpriestess.png
2MB, 900x1315px
>>54324137
Not if you're a sufficiently senior techpriest using it on heretics or xenos, and 'heresy' and 'sufficiently senior' are relative terms in the Imperium of Man.

>>54324210
Yeah, extremists are kind of a thing in the Imperium. IntraImperial conflicts are one of the funnest things in 40K.

>>54324365
40k canon is flexible and we all know it. We're not bound strictly to the mandates of the codices so long as shit makes sense, and a Magos commandeering a teleportarium for an operation by their Skitarii is pretty believable. That said, magically teleporting in Skitarii murdersquads as soon as someone attempts innovation would be pretty goddamn stupid, but I assume the anon posting that knew it and just wanted to stress "HERESYHERESYHERESYHERESY"

>>54324383
Dead of old age and twisted by whatever fell pacts or dark technosorceries revived or created them. Probably unnatsx3, four to seven Traumas (at least half of which can be Minor but at least one of which should definitely be Major) and gain more as they age.
>>
File: union-of-flames.jpg (151KB, 935x933px) Image search: [Google]
union-of-flames.jpg
151KB, 935x933px
>>54325021
They get off on the excess of having so much wealth you can afford to burn priceless posessions. They love developing the skill of roasting food over an open flame but over time become so jaded they prefer bitter burnt foods over succulent roasted ones, and will roast delicacies to a cinder and then greedily gobble the charcoal they just made of the most expensive fruits and meats available. The love the heat of flame, they love the sight and sound of it roaring into the air, they ornament their homes and lairs with inlaid murals of precious metals depicting flames, as opulent and finely crafted as possible, and eventually put as many fires, as large as possible, in their homes as decor, constantly escalating a little at a time. They self-immolate and thrill in the feeling, but if they do it too badly their nerves get severely damaged and they have to self-inflict worse and worse burns to get the same enjoyment. Give them an elite cadre of enemies who can't go about openly but defend their sanctum who have Unnatural Toughness from a combination of the Dark Gods' blessings and all their skin being burnt off, and after your players get used to using the cult's flames against them and hearing ecstatic shrieks rather than the typical horrified screaming as the heretics run around with their skin bubbling as fat and muscle char and slough off, have them meet these elites who give precisely zero fucks about being on fire, and probably get +20 to Willpower tests for it.
>>
>>54345199
That's hot.
>>
File: live in infamy.jpg (17KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
live in infamy.jpg
17KB, 236x354px
>>54344721
It's the same basic moral conundrum that defines 40k: to save the Dominate, they need allies, and the only creatures strong enough to resist the Imperium and willing to work with them are the Dark Eldar. How different is the occasional payment in slaves to the Kabals from the Imperium's Black Ships? Or the Arbites shooting people for getting taken hostage?
The Dark Eldar are incredibly effective raiders, and when you consider how the Imperium treats rebels, why not unleash something unspeakably horrible to protect your people? Isn't that what the Astartes are too?
Now, all this is based on the assumption that people don't *know* the Dark Eldar will inevitably betray them when it's most inopportune. If you play up the fear the Dominate has of being punished by the Imperium if they lose the war, then siding with someone as unspeakable as the Dark Eldar makes sense.
>>
File: 1449027443645.png (393KB, 764x691px) Image search: [Google]
1449027443645.png
393KB, 764x691px
>>54329268
Try the GameFinder, it probably doesn't have people much worse than the shitholes you already tried. Alternatively, lurk here and wait for someone to ask for players.

>>54330280
>I'm just going to shoot him
I agree with pretty much the whole post, but usually in 40K just shooting someone is a perfectly legitimate option in terms of roleplay. I don't usually do it only out of metagaming to let people who want to interact with HERETICS and XENOS have their fun, but if the conversation looks unfavorable, a burst of heavy fire is often an appropriate rebuttal to prevent my comrades in the Emperor's service from being corrupted or led astray.

>>54331770
The rams are fuckhuge. Insetting something relatively small like a lance is easy, and often as not they're not actually prowmounted anyway, but dorsal or ventral at a fixed or limited firing arc.

>>54338133
I've got some homemade xenos I'll probably never use now that the campaign they were for has fallen apart. I was planning to hoard them but if you're interested in technologically advanced aliens who worship the DIVINE HUMAN FORM and strive to emulate it through cybernetics, with the highest among them being indistinguishable from a high-ranked techpriest who chose to look fairly human while the worker caste settle for piloting vaguely humanoid loader mechs, I could post a blurb on their culture and background, or make up more species.

>>54342246
Sounds interesting.

>>54344143
Fancyass snowflake gear for the Skitarii's codex.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Arc_Rifle
>>
>>54329268
>Where can I find a game for DW or DH1?
>>54345523
>Try the GameFinder
This, but also, don't try to find a game for today. Try to find a game for two weeks away, or next month. That will get you in the mindset. You might still find something sooner, but it'll be because you kept looking.
>>
>>54345523
Gibsmedat xenos its fitting my game PERFECTLY
>>
Dark Heresy 2e, I remember a small bit detailing that Attack Subtype psychic powers are subject to the normal ranged attack rules, implying that you can aim and get point blank?

Can't find it now though, does anyone else know of this and can maybe clarify if you can aim etc. with Attack powers?
>>
>>54311122
If you had the opportunity, in his position, you'd do the same thing.
>>
>>54348601
You just use it to determine where things get hit.

Ranges don't matter as you don't use BS for any power and they're limited up to the range you get from the power itself.

Under the aim action, you cannot aim psychic powers.
>>
>>54348601
>range and line of sight

>Unless noted in its description, a psychic power that directly targets an individual or thing requires a psyker to have line of sight to (or otherwise be “aware” of) the target. The target must also be within the power’s stated range, but there are no modifiers for range (Short, Point Blank, etc.).
Sorry anon, not the case.
>>
>>54348725
>>54348756
I swear I read something in the Psychic Powers section or something that explicitly clarified it, but okay...
>>
Are there any stats for run-of-the-mill Crimson Guard anywhere? My RT party is in deep trouble in the Lathes after their Warp jump unexpectedly took them five years into the future - just enough for their dynasty to go to shit and the Inquisition to investigate their shady business.
>>
is black crusade popular these days?
>>
>>54349965
Was it ever? I see games for it every now and then.
>>
>>54350064
dont really know, I just got the urge to play heretek
>>
>design a cool boss inspired by ancient mythos and work out the encounter in great detail, with great care to every player's ambitions and vulnerabilities
>Players reach the top of the hive spire where he was conducting a ritual and decide to back off when they see the defences are too strong to bother
>Collapse the entire spire instead
>The boss and his retinue die like bitches, buried under tons of rockrete
Flawless victory
>>
>>54338796
>>54339373
I'm thinking about homebrew rules based on craft rules from Inquisitors Handbook and Explications from Enemies Without. Player is REALLY interested in inventing and crafting so I think it'll be fun for him to have some sort of "crafting adventure". The idea is really hard basic test (-40 and harder) with applying mods for materials and facility to work in. Then after every week or so dedicated to work he'll make a test. Then with every DoS he get he can upgrade shit template of an item. Default item is heavy, unreliable, of poor quality and so on. I think he can slap together some shitty 20kg haywire rifle that shoots in every direction (nice cerebral implant you have there) and he'll need to invest a lot of DoS in it just to reach profile from arsenal weapon. After that he probably will need several years to make really good.

By the way. You misunderstood sonic blaster thing. Situation happened at grimdark NOT!-Dune sort of a world with giant blind worms. He started waving his papers with golden =][= in it demanding access to AdMech workshops. They agreed on a condition that materials to work with will be his own and work will be done by techpriests. Materials was provided by chartist captain who was awed by the presence of the Inquisition. After a week or so sonic repeller was constructed. Basically it was a giant loudhailer which was mounted on one of scarper-harvesters and linked to its power plant. Soon when giant NOT!-Shai-Hulud attacked they pointed this giant loudhailer at it and turned it on. Tanks was lightly damaged by destructive sonic vibrations, some of the crew got nosebleeds but osedex ran away without destroying the harvester. AdMech asked Lathe Worlds what to do with this shit. It was not long ago and I'm still thinking about exact impact of this situation.

Important note: PCs discovered and showed to techpriests lost AdMech research station before departing offworld.
>>
>>54350964
You should've made the site of the ritual remain suspended in the air by swirling Warp energies

That way you get to put your players through the cool bossfight, and the players get to feel smart for having gotten rid of all the defences around it
>>
File: 3201280-9643728065-Mk6co.jpg (230KB, 1042x1118px) Image search: [Google]
3201280-9643728065-Mk6co.jpg
230KB, 1042x1118px
>>54315743
>>54317284
>Dad, why do Necrons look like human skeletons?
Necrontyr, Tau, and a whole mess of other things are/were surprisingly humanoid in appearance. Standard scifi bullshit.
>Dad, why do Orks speak low gothic with a british accent and not for example low Eldar?
Orks tend to live short lives and use equipment and language "acquired" from more sophistocated races, debased by their crude and haphazard attitude toward everything from communication to architectre. Over the aeons, without a bunch of Eldar or Old Ones around to mimic, Orks ended up having the most interaction with humans after the diaspora from Earth that preceded the Dark Age of Technology and the tens of millenia before the Imperium formed.
>Dad, why there is earth animals and trees everywhere?
The men of the Dark Age of Technology terraformed many worlds, and seeded more still with life.
>Dad, why there is no powerful and advanced technologically societies and cultures when most of the old imperium territory is stranded without Imperial influence now?
There "is" (are) many. They just don't usually expand much before they get stomped, whether by the Imperium, some passing mob of Orkz, scheming Eldar who want to keep their existence from inconveniencing a knife-ear down the line, or waking up something they weren't phobic enough to know they shouldn't (like an AI or a daemon).
>Dad, why do [...] the Deathwatch look like amalgamation of different martial cultures taken from 1000 of old earth history when we lost all data on that and we have more than 30 years of development of culture?
This is me extrapolating more than canon, but the people who settled the stars were often /pol/-tier obsessed with heritage or ethnicity, leading to some cultures being caricatures of forgotten lore.
>Dad, how do you pee and poop in that armour?
Astartes Power Armour contains inbuilt nutrient recycling systems. There's time in all those rites and ceremonies to don power armor to slip a catheter in.
>>
>>54350964
It's your own fault for giving us seismic charges.
>>
>>54352866
I mean, if the process of collapsing the spire was complex and challenging enough to feel rewarding while not challenging and complex enough to feel just as difficult as fighting the boss, I think you could skip the boss fight. That's kind of a golden moment.
>>
>>54349805
lathe worlds
>>
>>54345523
> snowflake gear for the Skitarii's codex

>STANDARD gear is too SNOWFLAKE so I'll make a UNIQUE INVENTION

Nigger what are you trying to say
>>
>>54345453
Dude this is so good. Thats actually perfect. Im putting all of that into my game.
>>
Pyrokinetic Psyker here, Dark Heresy. Should I go for Fire Shield or Molten Beam first? Or branch out into Telekinesis?

I mean, I've already got Warp Lock, so that base is covered.
>>
File: Thyrrus_soliloqun.jpg (90KB, 600x418px) Image search: [Google]
Thyrrus_soliloqun.jpg
90KB, 600x418px
>>54354248
This is 40K, snowflake isn't inherently bad.
I personally dislike arc rifles because I find them illogical even by 40K standards, but I homebrew shit and actively encourage people to make up minor xenos or use canon ones from Lexicanum so the galaxy feels bigger than just the codex factions.
>>54354902
Fire Shield doesn't do jack unless you get hit. You shouldn't get hit. Hug cover and buy up Dodge.
>>
>>54355018
That's a good point. It'd be a much better blanket solution if we didn't keep getting ambushed in close quarters.
>>
>>54354222
I'm only finding the unique planet-specific variants, and the alternate career rank. That's my issue. Not a bloody "here have a generic crimson guard" statline in sight
>>
My gm gave me the Latent psyker trait, how fucked am I and can he just randomly make me manifest my powers in some "stressful" situation?
>>
>>54355421
Super fucked, and yes.
>>
>>54355492
Right thanks, gonna roll up a backup character
>>
>>54354902
Molten Beam is fuckstupidly useful against enemy vehicles and fortified walls. Get it, make doors for the party.
>>
So I'm looking into requisitioning some anti-psyker rounds heading into what looks like a pretty Chaosy mission.

Psycannon rounds are clearly outside of my purchasing range, since they're intended for Grey Knights and are only otherwise purchasable by a full Inquisitor.

So I looked into Psybolt ammunition.

My GM says however, that in GW 40k, that psycannons (the weapon) fires Psybolt ammo, and is also Grey Knight-restricted.

It seems obvious to me that it's just a naming issue, that they named the ammo psybolts after the ammo type in the Grey Knight codex, but he says that GW canon always trumps FFG, and the ammos are therefore functionally the same thing.
>>
>>54355996
Any advice on this? Anything I'm missing, or a particular ruling.

Are there any other bolter ammo types that can ignore psychic defenses?
>>
>>54355396
the unique planet-specific variants are the crimson guard. there are no generic crimson guard because FFG was forbidden from making generic skitarii
>>
>>54356079
Really? This is the first I've heard of it. I just figured maybe a generic skitarii grouping would have required its own rulebook (or, given the new fluff, be relatively inadequate for a roleplaying game since they're basically only one step up from servitors now.)
>>
>>54356140

GW didn't let FFG make true skitarii because they were planning out the nu-skitarii codex. That's the one MNW uses. Crimson guard were FFGs best attempt to satisfy their fans and their licensors.
>>
>>54356014
Witch-bolts are used by the Black Templars and possibly some Sororitas, but they're seldom useful - they're just regular boltshells except that every wounding hit temporarily penalizes the target's Psy Rating until they don't have one anymore, but with the system being rocket-tag and bolters among the more lethal armaments available, most targets you land multiple wounding hits on won't survive.
>>
>>54355996
Just get a null rod.
>>
>>54357252
You caught the part where they don't have Inquisitor-tier armoury access, right?
>>
>>54357363
Are nullrods limited to grey knights only? All I see is not being able to access grey knight stuff.
>>
>>54355996

Well, if you want to further argue that they don't mean Grey Knight psybolt ammo, they're obviously not Astartes-size bolt rounds, there's nothing in the description implying they're extra-restricted, and they don't even appear in the same book as the psycannon!

Plus, for what it's worth, from the Apostasy Gambit Part 1:

>In addition, if the Acolytes lack qualifed combatants, the rounds in the Bolt Pistol found in the Moderati Quarters can be Psybolt rounds. These shells ignore the Dei-Phage’s Unnatural Toughness quality

Of course, that's still just an optional suggestion - but it's telling, as if Psybolts were GK/Inquisition only, then there isn't any particularly plausible reason for a Titan Moderati to have access to them and they would have worked it in elsewhere.
>>
>>54357992
Thank you, I will definitely bring this up.

I think it makes sense to argue that Psybolts are a type of psychically charged bolter shell, of which Psycannon rounds are a kind of Psybolt. (a high quality kind, in particular)

Since they're not Astartes-sized, and accessible to non-Inquisition/Chamber Militant, that's the best way they can coexist without a conflict.

I appreciate the extra effort you put into this answer.

>>54357045
>>54357252
>>54357363
>>54357491
You guys gave me some very handy answers as well, though Deathwatch Witch-Bolts might be outside of what my wrists can take, I will look into using a Null Rod defensively, though I'm mostly concerned about being prevented from doing damage, this character is not designed to take hits.

Appreciate the help, though!
>>
>>54358245
You could also look into getting your stuff Sanctified.
>>
>>54358294
I'm currently running blessed ammunition, though as far as I've seen, I can't see many rules on what it actually does.

I figure it reduces/removes the Unnatural Toughness the Daemonic trait grants, but is there anything else?
>>
>>54358339
No, that is basically it unless if the target has something else interacting with Sanctified. It is essentially Felling for Daemonic instead of Unnatural Toughness.
>>
File: tumblr_o5gv2qvgAd1tf70vho3_540.gif (807KB, 540x227px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5gv2qvgAd1tf70vho3_540.gif
807KB, 540x227px
>>54358245
>wrists
Oh hi there Sturmbro.
As for witchbolts, I did mention Sororitas; I'm not sure they're exclusively Astartes-issue, but it probably doesn't matter since they're not particularly useful most of the time and your GM is already being nitpicky about Astartes boltshells. What ammos have you already got? You might not need to worry about turbofucking psykers if you can just spray enough Flame Blasts around the battlefield to pin and burn everything and free up your team to focus fire on major threats like psykers.
>>
File: fat guy wit dakka 2.gif (1MB, 322x214px) Image search: [Google]
fat guy wit dakka 2.gif
1MB, 322x214px
>>54336793

The latter, so if you have a Ballistic Skill test that is suffering from a -10 penalty from range, a -10 penalty from size, and a -20 penalty from smog, you can choose to ignore the -10 range penalty OR the -10 size penalty OR the -20 smog penalty, but not all three.
>>
>>54358452
Dragonfire, Blessed, Organgrinders and Vengeance, mostly.

Surprised you remembered me, actually. I'm sure I can manage with the types I have, to be honest, I was just looking into possibly stepping up Blessed to something more generally effective against psykers/daemons.
>>
>>54355996
>My GM says however, that in GW 40k, that psycannons (the weapon) fires Psybolt ammo, and is also Grey Knight-restricted.
Tell him he's dreaming.

>Psybolts
>Psybolts lack the potency of true psycannon ammunition
>Used With: Bolt weapons.
>>
>>54359941

>My GM says however, that in GW 40k, that psycannons (the weapon) fires Psybolt ammo, and is also Grey Knight-restricted.

The GM says GW canon supersedes GET canon, so FFG book RAW doesn't count over codex raw.
>>
File: 1469656570482.gif (961KB, 245x213px) Image search: [Google]
1469656570482.gif
961KB, 245x213px
>>54360072
Oh, he's one of /those/ people
>>
>>54360072
It's not that hard to reconcile there being more than one kind of psybolt. If the refuses to budge an inch, and you can't get any of the other daemon killing equipment listed in DH2e Enemies Beyond, then you're left with the option of passive-aggressively staring him down as you grind through daemons the old fashioned way. Or die.
>>
>>54304360
I'm going to be building a deathwing terminator in Deathwatch because they are rad [and free termie armour], which base specialty is most fun to take to build up to it?

Heres my thoughts so far:
Tactical: All around goodness skilled in storm bolter and casting FIST
Devastator: Big guns like the assault cannon/cyclone and plasma cannon, potential dual wielding heavy weapons as you treat heavys like basic
Assault: Rip and Tear or tank n spank, slow and probably most difficult to get into close combat if rocking two close combat weapons, might take wrist storm bolter for extra range support.
Apothecary: Maximum Paladin, dishing out heals and pain
Techmarine: bretty broken class, doesn't suit concept
Librarian: Mind bullets and teleporting
>>
Do Dark Eldar use wraithbone?
>>
Challenge: using only FFG sourcebooks for Calixis Sector and Jericho Reach material, craft a plot hook and brief campaign outline using material from every game line and present hooks for each kind of PC group - Guardsmen, Acolytes, Heretics, a Deathwatch Kill-Team, and a Rogue Trader crew.

I want to see what crazy bullshit comes out of this.

HARD MODE: provide reference pages for everything you use
>>
>>54361386
A group of catachans are doing what they do on Planet X against some Orks. They're contained for now. The only problem is the cities are beginning to be overrun by mutants. So an acolyte team is sent in to figure out wtf is going on. While they're doing that, a group of Tzeentchean cultists work on their plan to plunge Planet X into the Warp, using the mutants as a red-herring to draw off the scent. Then the Ork containment breaks, so Deathwatch has to come in.

This ends up being so much heresy that Lord Captain Thomas the Fifth gets contracted to perform exterminatus. After such, he claims exclusive contract rights to mine the remaining chunks of planet. Then he fucks an Eldar in the back room.

The end.
>>
>>54361210

No, since wraithbone is psychic, they don't use it.
>>
File: 1318015842533.jpg (82KB, 917x900px) Image search: [Google]
1318015842533.jpg
82KB, 917x900px
>>54359187
Vengeance and Blessed should cover it. The psyker can't manifest powers if you kill them.
Dragonfire is hilariously fun. Inferno not giving a bonus to avoid flame is nice and all, but there's nothing like spraying Blast templates of burning promethium everyfuckingwhere.
And of course I remembered you, I love stormbolter shenanigans.
>>54360937
Terminator armor in Deathwatch sucks, because you're prohibited from dodging while wearing it. The invuln is nice, but the AP is forgettable, since it only negates a few more points of damage than artificer armor and penalizes movement and evasion. If you're willing to use it anyway just for cool factor, or if you're using houserules that ungimp it, then have fun. I would recommend Librarian or Tactical; Devastators are outperformed at their own job by specialized Tacticals, while Assaults count on being able to get into melee and benefit from their jump pack. I don't have any experience with Apothecaries, though as medics they do benefit from the Unforgiven bonus to Intelligence. Tacticals, however, can be built however you want and are the ideal for dual wielding as Terminators do, especially with a sigged stormbolter boosted by their solo mode, whereas Librarians' free Force Sword spares you from having to shell out for a good force weapon and their powers can shore up many of Terminator Armor's weaknesses.
>>
>>54361880
Heavy weapons count as Basic weapons with terminator armour, as a devestator, it could make sense to wield an assault cannon in one hand and a plasma cannon in another, or some other whacky combo.
>>
File: Gaddafi Confused at Computer.jpg (136KB, 456x337px) Image search: [Google]
Gaddafi Confused at Computer.jpg
136KB, 456x337px
Here's something to consider. Let's say you were some inquisitor just waffling about doing investigations and stuff. In your travels you find two Astartes chapters, and you note something is off, despite both Astartes chapters doing their jobs as normal. You trace both their origins, and both are successors to known chapters a few thousand years back. You got time to call down your bullshit on only one.

The first Astartes chaper follows the codex in terms of organization, with companies split up into scouts, veterans, devastators, tacticals, assaults, etc. However, they have like 5000 guys, and show no signs of stopping growth. Their companies are sized proportionately (i.e. 500 scouts in the 10th company rather than 100, etc). That's a lot of mareens.

The second Astartes Chapter has tossed out the Codex. Instead, they've organized themselves like a Legion, complete with twenty-man tactical squads, tank companies, rare weapons and vehicles, entire squads of special weapons guys, and battle formations in full compliance with the Principia Bellicosa. They don't give a fuck no mo'. They take to the field as a united Legion, but enforce their numbers to about a thousand guys, give or take a few hundred as losses and recruits happen.

Which chapter do you use your inquisitorial authority to bother, if any?
>>
File: Woop Woop.gif (314KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Woop Woop.gif
314KB, 512x384px
>>54361880
>Terminator armor in Deathwatch sucks, because you're prohibited from dodging while wearing it.

TARTAROS REPRESENT
>>
File: 5353 World Eaters Escort_edit.jpg (224KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
5353 World Eaters Escort_edit.jpg
224KB, 504x504px
which Rouge Trader supplements should I look for for more information on the Foundling worlds? I was thinking of using that region for my BC game.
>>
>>54361982
If the first Chapter has not been communicative with Sector or above Command, my assets ask the first Chapter politely to illuminate me on what threat to the Imperium they are preparing for (as under such circumstances it would be agreeable to anticipate casualties).

Having stopped short of "calling down my bullshit" conserves my resources so my remaining available assets may monitor the other Chapter lightly; sounds like a problem the Ultramarines can bitch at them about if they care enough, though.

Escalate as becomes necessary. Start slow and light, no need to blow my Inquisitorial load too early on two loyal Chapters. Fast and hard later if it becomes necessary to move against them.
>>
>>54361982
Neither. De minimis non curat Inquisitorus.
>>
>>54361982

The first. The Astral Claws already tried that shit.
>>
>>54361982

The first one literally caused the Badab War
>>
File: rouge.jpg (34KB, 311x431px) Image search: [Google]
rouge.jpg
34KB, 311x431px
>>54361978
I've played a mission in terminator armor dualwielding heavies. It was fun, and the stock Astartes talents for unarmed strikes mean you can even get by passably in melee with headbutts and kicking.
A Tactical still outperforms a Devastator at their own role. For fluff, I'd have a Deathwing Tactical sig a Plasma Cannon, but sigging a storm bolter for usefulness all the time and choosing the offhand weapon per-mission, including sometimes sticking with power armor, is also highly viable, and capitalizes on a Tactical's free special ammunition.
>>54361982
This:>>54362238
>>54362190
>rouge
>>
>>54361982
Chapter 1. They are in direct violation of a rule established explicitly to prevent a repeat of the fucking Horus Heresy. Chapter 2 isn't doing anything that they aren't well within their rights as Space Marines to do.
>>
File: Xavier_mendoza.jpg (212KB, 502x861px) Image search: [Google]
Xavier_mendoza.jpg
212KB, 502x861px
>>54361982
The Astartes are a threat to mankind. They must be tightly controlled, chained like the mad dogs that they are and only let loose when it is necessary.
While I would rather bring both to heel, the second chapter merely flouts the laws of the loathsome Mechanicus. If the Emperor wills it, surely he will see fit that the Tech Priests punish and curb these rogues.
The first is a direct and immediate threat to the Imperium as a whole. Astartes gathered in large numbers have proved an existential threat to mankind time and again. They must be punished. Immediately, publicly, and with overwhelming force. Their suffering must be a lesson to all others. Every Chapter must know that the Inquisition is always watching, always waiting to bring those who defy the Emperor's Will to swift justice.
>>
File: 1315830663450.jpg (67KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1315830663450.jpg
67KB, 800x800px
>>54362942
A bold statement, Inquisitor. But I must ask; who is to bell the cat?
>>
File: Minotaurs_Dev._Marine.jpg (151KB, 635x927px) Image search: [Google]
Minotaurs_Dev._Marine.jpg
151KB, 635x927px
>>54363075
Why, the maddest dogs of all, of course...
>>
>>54363075
What is a cat?
>>
File: acolyte_by_sirhanselot-d5zjqld.jpg (208KB, 620x693px) Image search: [Google]
acolyte_by_sirhanselot-d5zjqld.jpg
208KB, 620x693px
>>54363217
Ah yes, mad dogs. Notoriously reliable and obedient. Call them and they come to heel, is that right?

Let the dogs loose, and hope they freeze when winter comes?

No.

Search the Imperium and you will find not one law abiding citizen. Even the saints have violated some long-forgotten law against floating or wearing purple after the Feast of the Triumphant March. Space Marines are no different. Both chapters are outside the bounds of their codex, the laws of the Imperium, and good sense. What should I do about it?

Nothing. Not yet. Investigate. Prod. See if the over-stocked chapter harbors ambitious plans. Remind them that the Inquisition knows. Mention Huron Blackheart in passing. Show them we know. Send them a delegation on some trivial matter; see if the delegation returns. Ask, then act.

The second chapter, I don't give two figs about. Did you hear that the Sons of Russ ride wolves into battle, and that the Flesh Tearers eat their enemies alive? The Tomb Brothers are lead by dreadnought sergeants. The Sons of Kronos wear black and dance around stone pillars in midnight rituals, to venerate the Emperor, I suppose.

So check them. Remind them. Let them know we know. Let them know that we know that they know that we know. We're a very knowledgeable organization.
>>
>>54363284
A miserable pile of Heresy!
>>
File: ard73.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ard73.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>54363345
Ha-achooo!
>>
Does it seem odd to anybody else that Dark Heresy 2e doesn't have an option to play a character whose background is simply an Imperial citizen? It's all Adepta, military, Rogue Trader fleets... I guess the Exorcised and Outcast backgrounds have no reason not to be, but the former is obviously influenced by crisis and the latter leans toward criminal or bounty hunter elements. Mutant is right out obviously.
>>
>>54364878
Outcast. You need to go through somewhere or something to be picked out of the masses of humanity.
>>
Alright. So I know how unnatural toughness works in dh2 (it basically adds up soak) but how about other unnatural characteristics?
>>
>>54365203
The same.
>>
>>54365232
So i presume strength adds just damage. Hoe about others then
>>
>>54365237
If something it based on an aptitude bonus, it just adds straight. If it is doing something based on a roll, it adds half the number to the degrees of success on a successful roll.
>>
>>54365252
Characteristic bonus I mean. Not sure why I put aptitude there.
>>
>>54365237
>hoe

Phoneposter here again. Thanks guise for clearing it out
>>
>>54365286
Unnatural characteristics add to bonuses. So unnatural agility let you move faster, unnatural strength let you damage more, unnatural toughness let you eat more damage, unnatural weaponskill makes your number of attacks cap higher. Additionally every unnatural characteristic add additional Degrees of Success to any successful test in the number equal to half of Unnatural characteristic value (round up). It's all in the book. Speaking of characteristic bonuses. If some of your characteristics become fatigued it reduces bonus as well. This mean with high Fatigue you'll damage less, run slower and die faster.
>>
Any thoughts about houserule where Unnatural characteristics reduces Degrees of Failure to a minimum of 1?
>>
>>54365912
Sounds fine to me.
>>
>>54361982
Chapter 1, it's pretty much stated that no one really cares about strictly enforcing codex organization beyond the marine numbers. But if Chapter 1 is 5000 marines, and not like, Black Templar "We're all over the place I dunno how many we are" 5000, but "We fight as one!" 5000; then that's a real fukken problem.
>>
Any interesring wild animals on feral world to include? I know a lot but maybe there are ones i miss out on or maybe there are those that need special care
>>
>>54362637
>rouge
yes I meant "Rogue Trader" but I'm assuming you are not a complete moron and already knew that.
>>
>>54367629
Not the correcting anon, but it's so damn cliche to spell that wrong. No need to be brittle.
>>
>>54364878
You don't get into the Inquisition without going through some ugly shit. Common imperial citizens lack the opportunity without being turned into mulch or screaming lunatics.
>>
>>54361982

Chapter 2 by far. The codex has been studied and its counters known. Going full legion is like resurrecting a bad memory, an impossible to stop juggernaut...except by another legion.
>>
>>54369056
>an impossible to stop juggernaut...except by another legion.
Except they're only 1000 marines. You know who could easily stop a traitorous chapter 2? The codex organized Chapter 1 that's five times their size.
>>
So... Hypothetically, if a melta-bomb was used as a melee instrument against a Chaos Space Marine by a courageous Guardsman, would I be a bad GM by allowing the Guardsman the use of a fate point to "accidentally" arm and stick the melta-bomb to the offending CSM?

More importantly, is a melta-bomb an instant kill on a CSM (assuming it got stuck to his chest)?
>>
>>54369492

Five ten-man tactical squads are gonna get smoked by one ten man squad with ten plasma guns, and predator formations stand no chance against sicarans and fellblades.
>>
>>54370107
>Five ten-man tactical squads are gonna get smoked by one ten man squad with ten plasma guns
Lol.

>predator formations stand no chance against sicarans and fellblades.
And if we're assuming they have more than a single Sicarian, or more than 1 or 2 Fellblades, or, more than a single sicarian AND more than 1 or 2 Fellblades, the questions has to be asked: Which 1st Founding chapter did they rob?
Shas said they have rare weapons and vehicles, not that they could field them in quantities matching a 1st Founding Chapter, or even a legion.
>>
>>54370063
Look up meltabomb stats, compare to Chaos Marine stats. No need for fate, just impose an appropriate roll that's kinda difficult, then let him use fate to help his chances if he feels it necessary.
>>
>>54370063
>More importantly, is a melta-bomb an instant kill on a CSM (assuming it got stuck to his chest)?

6d10 Pen 24 vs Ap 10 8 Tb 25 wounds and True Grit (probably a couple of more relevant talents but I can't think of them right now)

On average the Melta-bomb will do 30~ish damage, with the CSM's TB soaking 8 of the damage and completely ignore any armor. So average damage won't put the CSM in critcals but it'll by no means be fun. But a good damage roll would fuck up the CSM pretty hard.

So it's a completely valid tactic, but something of a gamble because of how swingy the damage of a Melta-Bomb can be.
>>
File: Sslyth_by_yogh.jpg (231KB, 767x914px) Image search: [Google]
Sslyth_by_yogh.jpg
231KB, 767x914px
Do Sslyth have venom? What do they do other than work for Dark Eldar? Do they have fluff anywhere other than the codex?
>>
File: iK6Agei.png (582KB, 880x992px) Image search: [Google]
iK6Agei.png
582KB, 880x992px
Lads, how'd you make this character go even further?
It's a ratling sniper, current advances being
BS +5 (100)
BS +10 (250)
Agility +5 (100)
Sharpshooter (300)
Marksman (300)
>>
>>54370848
Buy dodge. Buy athletics just in case. Get more ag and bs. Probably get more awareness and dodge too. Buy talents.

General question. It seems to me that those characteristics drop down menus dont work on roll20. They don't work for dh2 (both of them) and black crusade. How about only war? How to fix it?
>>
>>54371173
No idea really, I always thought those are just to mark how many advances you took, rather than actually add the number.
>>
According to the rules of DH2E, many offensive Psyker powers can be dodged. How do you dodge someone telekinetically trying to crush you ? It implies you can see the attack coming. If anything it should be a dodge roll using WP
>>
>>54371702
they add to characteristics and not add to skills
>>
>>54372172

It's probably something like "some primal part of you can sense the gathering power, so you can try to dodge as it crashes down".
>>
>>54372729
hm, interesting.
Oh well, guess I'll just put in the right number into my stat anyway and it should work
>>
>>54373682
>>54372729
Also I'm sorta unsure by what you mean with this, because no matter what I put on those drop down boxes all rolls, whether they're straight up characteristic ones, or skill ones, just take the stat number
>>
Is there any good conversions of Rogue Trader into the "new" system (BC, DH2, OW)?
>>
>>54370518
I always thought they lost their own culture during the millenia of servitude for the delda
>>
>>54370848
Pick up athletics and acrobatics, bump dodge and awareness, think about picking up the smaller social skills like inquiry as you have a passable fel.
You have put too much into characteristics as it stands, scale it back.
>>
>>54364878
That's bothered me for a long while, yeah. It's one of several reasons I prefer 1e even after having a lot of fun in 2e.
>>54365203
It's a flat increase to the relevant bonus. That means more soak for toughness, melee damage and grenade range for strength, carry weight for both, movement for agility, DoS on certain special abilities that let you spent fate to autopass, et cetera.
>>54367629
Of course I knew, but I make a habit of correcting people on that. Mostly because I find that image hilarious.
>>54370107
Obvious bait is obvious.
>>54370278
It's a little more reliable if you use the houserule that grenades and other explosives have Proven (3)
>>
In RT is it viable to play an archmilitant without power armour or is it necessary for later in the game?
>>
>>54372172
The same way you can dodge a gunshot from 100 meters out.
>>
>>54374765
>It's a little more reliable if you use the houserule that grenades and other explosives have Proven (3)
In my own experience, this tends to hurt the players more than aid them.
When they are on the receiving end of frags, especially a cluster charge, all the YEA FRAGS ARE CHEEP AND PROVEN 3 WHAT NOW HERETICS turns into muted terror and Emperor preserve us.
>>54374895
It's less viable to play an archmilitant.
You can get by with no power armor, you just gotta cover your bases and clear your baffles.
>>
>>54374765
>It's a little more reliable if you use the houserule that grenades and other explosives have Proven (3)
I find low rank Proven to be virtually irrelevant unless you're rolling multiple damage dice. You can already replace one die with your successes.
>>
>>54378463
Most grenades and explosives roll more than one die.
>>
>>54378983
Most die rolls won't give you multiple 1s.
>>
>>54304360
Should I use The Fringe is Yours rules or Chivalry Intensifies for a potential Knight Titan game?
>>
>>54380283
Chivalry is higher power, and requires an appropriate response of force.
It can really throw you off if you are used to mortal power levels.
>>
>>54380352
Naturally! Mostly wonderin wic supplement would better serve a multi session experience
>>
>>54380829
Chivalry is better if the party are all knights, compared to Fringe, I feel.
It has more info for the man in the machine, and supports being outside the knight.
>>
>>54368316
>>54368316
I don't see what is so much more special about an administration clerk over a factory worker.
>>
Does possession in black crusade tend to be more positive or negative? Has anyone ever been possessed in DH and still fought alongside the party?
>>
>>54383638
Negative in the long run as it runs you along the corruption track fast. It is great in the sessions you have it, but it can wear out surprisingly fast.
>>
>>54382934
Because clerk actually is remarkably intelligent or has knowledge and the fucking worker is just a worker? Inqusition doesnt get everyone into its cells, it gets remarkably good people who specialise in something. If you dont know workers in real life tend to have poor health and are not mr. Fucking olympia.
>>
>>54385290
I think they just want some WFRP style peasant or rat catcher.
>>
Looking for a build for a Deathwatch Iron Hands marine who could supposedly stack up so much toughness he can survive orbital drop.

Anybody have a screencap of it handy?
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.