[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General /edhg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 58

File: Image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
"""wake up you lazy FUCKS""" (and fuck discordfags)(also don't make me make an OP on phone it's shit) Edition

Last Thread: >>54268307

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://magiccards.info/
Thread Question:
Thoughts on decks with self-imposed building limits i.e. pauper, peasant, all cards are sub $1 etc.
>>
>>54281463 #
>90% meta
I hate all this "%" meta bullshit. It doesn't tell you anything about the power level of decks. 90% what, skeleton ship? What's the 10% you are missing?

I understand that usually when people say "75%" they mean not competitive and not craw wurm.dec, but the number that comes before the % doesn't really have any meaning that you could communicate.
I wish someone would come up with a better term, as is we get asshats that say they have an 86% deck and get upset when you can't gauge whatever their power level is when you want to play.
>>
>>54281657
I assumed everyone knew what it meant, I don't personally use it but I thought I'd use whatever autism edhg is accustomed to.
What I mean is "our decks have almost all the cards we need except for a few very expensive cards we haven't gotten around to buying yet"
Calm your chromosomes fagot
>>
>>54281657
I don't understand the percentage at all. I would assume that they're talking about the stupid "synergy percentage" edhrec gives, but I have no idea how is it counted and how is it relevant.
Only way to see a deck's powerlevel is to know the decklist
>>
>>54281657
>>54281678
Also the way I interpret it is >how many cards/100 are sub optimal in the deck
At my lgs when we sit down and play we ask (roughly translated) "how autistic (or how county) is your deck?"
>>
>>54281689
How cunty*
>>
>>54281678
>>54281689
>using a thread topic as a name
Jesus Christ dude.
>>
>>54281678
>I assumed everyone knew what it meant
Then please, enlighten me. What is the difference between a 90% deck and a 92% deck? What about an 82.46% deck?

Does it matter what the general or actual power of the deck is? Is it just a measure of how much money you pour in?
Or doess the number before the % hold no real fucking meaning whatsoever, which is what I was saying. Whatever % you give tells us nothing, just something along the lines of "it's not FCT and it's not draft chaff".
>>
>>54281687
Synergy Percentage is simple. Take the percentage of decks with a certain commander and a certain card, subtract the percentage of decks with the color combo and that card. Rhys the Redeemed has +55% synergy with Parallel Lives, with 83% representation, which means that while 83% of Rhys decks run the card, only 28% of Selesnya decks do.
>>
>>54281728
The percentages get stupid if you do anything besides 75% and 90%, yeah.

But I see 90% often as a way to say it's almost competitive, but just doesn't have the really $$$ stuff.

And yeah, it's money. (Although a 90% Skeleton Ship deck is a bad joke.)
>>
Isn't the whole concept of 75% edh decks bs? They will slaughter casual decks but will get absolutely wrecked by actual competitive decks. I feel like the people who play them have never gone up against comp decks before and think their friend's Narset is god tier.
>>
>>54281657
>100%
Literally Vintage singleton.
>90%
As above, but not including anything on the price tier of, say, Tabernacle.
>75%
Made room for a some pet cards that are still good, both in a vacuum and in the deck, but may not be perfectly optimal. May have one or two self-imposed restrictions, e.g. "No MLD."
>50%
Usually wants to win in a particular way, e.g. grinding Oloro instead of (insert Esper combo here), that isn't optimal. Probably doesn't run MLD.
>25%
Slightly tweaked precon

That's how I tend to read 'em.
>>
>>54281995
>75% self restrictions
I should add "that aren't core to the strategy" there. So a 75% Daretti stax deck will almost certainly run MLD, but a 75% Isamaru aggro deck may not.
>>
>>54281976
That's how it turns out most of the time. The proper way to play 75% decks is to actually have two decks with slight differences, one of which can compete at a high level, the other of which isn't quite as good or consistent, and to swap out the relevant cards based on table strength.
>>
>>54282016
>the proper way to play 75% decks is to actually have two decks with slight differences, one of which can compete at a high level

Why not just use the same deck and make suboptimal choices when playing with a more casual group? Instead of a T1 Entomb for Iona or Norn into a T2 Animate Dead, why not go for an Acidic Slime and nail that player's who thinks he's good and always stacks his deck Sol Ring? Or something like that.
>>
File: 82.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
82.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>54281995
>>100%
>Literally Vintage singleton.
With 40 shit cards. But with the current vintage banlist all the sweet decks are basically singleton already.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 265x370px
thoughts on vincent price and the sdcc promos? nissa and gideon are nice
>>
>>54281976
>75% edh
what a retarded concept, why are people in EDH so fixated on maxing other people play shittier decks instead of improving their own or metaing stuff out?
>>
>>54282197
If they aren't incredibly fragile I will be interested.
>>
File: MarcilleDispel.png (232KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
MarcilleDispel.png
232KB, 375x523px
Pauper Commander plz no bully

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pauper-commander-twin/
>>
>>54282422
How is Nettle Drone+Retraction Helix+Ornithopter infinite? You can tap to bounce or tap to do damage, but not both.
>>
>>54282476
You need another enabler, like Impact Tremors or Golem Foundry. You can also bounce a 0 mana artifact like Tormod's crypt for Golem Foundry or Firebrand Archer
>>
>>54282166
Also they only have Timetwister out of the P9, but have access to most of the broken vintage stuff besides that. People who play with actual competitive EDH paper decks are incredibly rare in my experience, which leads some people into thinking that their battlecruiser decks are competitive.
>>
>>54282129
>Why not just use the same deck and make suboptimal choices
The point of a 75% deck is that you can still play all out rather than having to go with one hand tied behind your back.
>>
>>54282220
Because not everyone wants to end up in the "stax to hell or t2/3 combo" wasteland of top-tier, tuned, cEDH. It's the exact same """"problem"""" casual has had since time immemorial, it's just that casualfags finally have a format to call home.
>>
>>54281636
>look up random commanders on edhrec
>find this guy
>kind of want him for my collection
>the english version costs 15€

Well, the reserved list sure is...something.
>>
>>54282651
Look up Angus Mackenzie.
>>
>>54281976
Everybody has their own prefered way to play. The 75% thing is a meme but I think it's also the way that I've played EDH for many years. Total casual games end in clogged board states that stall out the game and truly competitive games usually end extremely fast. I'm on board with the 75% people in wanting games where each deck is trying to do some things while also bringing disruption and win conditions (casuals don't) but not using the most brutal win conditions.
>>
>>54282197
They look retarded because the artwork is at an angle instead of being normal to the card frame.
>>
>>54282807
Yeah, the panorama looks much better thanks to being head-on
>>
>>54282651
>€
rofl what kinda of fake money is that lmao
>>
>>54281636
>Thoughts on decks with self-imposed building limits
>pauper
awful
>peasant
please dont
>all cards are sub $1
thats not a bad thing at all most of my decks are like that, but for the most part self imposed limits are going to make unplayable decks
>>
>>54281636
>Thoughts on decks with self-imposed building limits i.e. pauper, peasant, all cards are sub $1 etc.
retarded imo. its sorta fun to brew the deck but actually playing with it is boring as fuck and never any good. id rather just do 200 dollar budget deck and actually have room for fun and strong cards that actually give me the ability to win. i will say though that some mono red decks like zada or krenko can be put together for cheap and are still good which is the one minor exception to the rule
>>
>>54281636
Hey, OP, you put your thread title in as your name, you know that?

>Self-imposed challenges
Not a fan of Pauper Commander. I know the big point is budget/accessibility but in addition to having expensive cards that make competitive decks run rares also have most of the bizarre effects that make less-than-competitive decks fun. Especially when you also ban uncommons, it's hard to do more than a couple interesting things, most efforts will end up as bad "goodstuff".

Total budget and/or budget-per-card is more fulfilling. Depending on the numbers it will often force you to leave the typical "Safe"choices behind, but magic has such a vast cardpool that there's a lot of impactful, entertaining shit that has never commanded much of a price. Try these deckbuilding rules on for size

>Normal commander
>Total deck, including your commander, must weigh in at $100 or less
>No single card in your 99 can cost more than $5
>It bears repeating: your Commander is exempted from per card price limit but your deck must still be inside the whole-deck limit with whatever your commander costs

End result: You can play (pretty much) whatever commander you want. The budget limit is pretty tight; you'll be able to splurge in a couple places but you'll have to carefully choose where, and a lot of top-level cards are going to be barred to you so get creative.
>>
>>54281636
/tg/ EDH General Discord
https://discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
>>
Besides the Nest of Scarabs and Blowfly Infestation how else do I win with The Scorpion God.
I threw Tree of Perdition and Master of Cruelties to help a bit.
More combos that work with counters and creatures would be cool.

The list is for the "mid tier" of my group that exclusively plays multiplayer (3-5 players)
2 Players are building the other two bettergods so this needs to compete with those playstyles the most.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scorpion-god-tries-again/
>>
>>54283217
is scorp less consistant than hapatra? I feel that without that giant fear of having a board of death touchers, it wouldnt be as strong
>>
>>54283217
You can run Sorin Markov.
>>
>>54283217
Resolve a Rise of the Dark Realms.
>>
>>54283216
fuck off
>>
>>54281657
75% is the only term that has been widely adopted and the goons in this thread don't seem to understand it.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/jasonalt-021314-building-a-75-commander-deck/

Any other percentage people are throwing around in this thread other than 75% or 100% is just fabricated bullshit.
>>
>>54283236
Tbqh I would and probably will build Hapatra

The main thing Scorp has on Hapa is he turns control into card advantage which is kind of my thing.

>>54283246
Forgot about Sorin but I need to lower the curve of the deck a bit as it is.
>>
>>54281636
>>54283260
why are you all so buttblasted about discord?
>>
>>54283279
someone in a previous thread was talking about making Sek'kuar scorp and hapatra, with both black/green black/red wither cards.
wonder if its good
>>
>>54283293
That would be perfect in my more casual group but I already have Jund and don't have a golgari or Rakdos deck.
>>
>>54283288
Don't even open that can of worms. This thread can't contain his autism.
>>
>>54283217
Run more hate cards.

I'm serious, Rakdos has access to quite a lot of cards that will slap down certain strategies. Erebos or Forsaken Wastes nukes life gain, Stranglehold nukes turns and tutors. Omen Machine or Possessed Portal will turn off drawing (and with it the Locust God) while Eater of the Dead is simply my janky fave out of black's surprisingly robust selection of grave hate for fun and profit. Scorpion God can operate under some fairly oppressive conditions, so get out there and oppress!
>>
>>54283217
I mean you could just run basic combo shit. Mikaeus and triskelion or sanguine bond + exquisite blood can go in any black deck.
>>
>>54282016
>one of which can compete at a high level, the other of which isn't quite as good or consistent, and to swap out the relevant cards based on table strength.
This is what I do with my Melek deck. I've got like ~25 cards sleeved, ready to swap in for various power levels.
>>
>>54283257
I am pretty sure I have one just sitting in trade fodder, that isn't a bad idea but I have to lower the curve of this deck and I am not sure where to fit Rise in.

>>54283333
Mikaeus is a bit out of the price range for the deck or I would. Sang and Exq are too boring these days and this deck doesnt really gain life.
Thanks though.

>>54283322
Yeah I was originally going to build Mogis Groupslug but then Scorp King was dropped. That looks like a fun idea. I have a Grafdigger's Cage and Torpor orb sitting around too. Slowing them down may be a good play
>>
>>54282752
>The 75% thing is a meme but I think it's also the way that I've played EDH for many years. Total casual games end in clogged board states that stall out the game and truly competitive games usually end extremely fast. I'm on board with the 75% people in wanting games where each deck is trying to do some things while also bringing disruption and win conditions (casuals don't) but not using the most brutal win conditions.
This. There's definitely a sweet spot where things are happening but the entire table isn't just sitting on counters to stop everyone else from immediately combo'ing out to win.
>>
>>54281636
>thread question
Pauper and peasant are so restrictive that they work against themselves. There are only so many decent ways to win a game with those restrictions so they become homogenized or total trash.

Blocks are a more thematic way to limit a deck. I have a Scion of the Ur Dragon deck made exclusively from Time Spiral block cards and that means that is seriously low power compared to conpetitive or "75%" decks but is fun to play and has some powerful cards. I think the next deck I build like this will be Gisa and Geralf and include cards from both Innistrad blocks. Friends of mine have a Kamigawa block deck, a Ravnica and Reten to Ravnica deck, and a Weatherlight deck that is restricted to only Dominaria/Weatherlight-crew related cards and they're all also low power but cohesive. It's a much better theme than one based on price.
>>
Is there a cheaper cmc version of open the vaults? I think replenish exists but its only for enchantments right? is there one for artifacts?
>>
File: Image (14).png (155KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (14).png
155KB, 223x311px
>>54283428
For artifacts, off the top of my head is Scrap mastery. A bit more niche then open the vault as it removes your current field.
>>
File: 1496537707578.jpg (248KB, 765x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1496537707578.jpg
248KB, 765x1152px
Alright friends, I plan on building a powerful Neheb mono-red deck, and I'm in the process of ordering some cards for it.

I already have a caged sun, but I plan on picking up a gauntlet of power, a Fork, a Reiterate, and a combustible gearhulk. I cracked a comet storm way back whatever modern masters that was, and I have a bunch of generic red cards, but are there any mana sinks I should think about getting my hands on? Budget really isn't an issue, but if a single is over $50, I'm going to have to think real hard about it.

All I want to do is get secret commander hidestugu put with Neheb, nuke everyone's life, then immediately blow them up with a fuck-huge spell.
>>
>>54283923
make sure you have a backup plan in case neheb gets meddling mage'd or nevermore'd
heartless works as a decent backup plan but make sure you can close out a game without your commander
that being said you can include a lot of storm support cards + extra combat cards (including the two that go infinite with neheb) and then run past in flames
im building the same deck my first few runs with the prototype didnt go so well because I have a loud mouth and people hate playing against storm so I got hated out really fast
>>
>>54283923
Bonfire of the Damned, Doubling Cube and a bunch of extra combat turns would be worth looking at.

Get all the red copy spells and more X spells.
>>
What are some good Scarab God zombie mill/control cards?
>>
>>54281976
>Isn't the whole concept of 75% edh decks bs?
in the whole "playable against every deck" type of way yes, it gets absolutely trounced by competitive tables and instant archenemy against craw wurm tables
that being said 75% decks where you do not abuse tutors/ad naus/ doomsday/ hermit druid/ candelabra etc. are much more fun to play imho
though I still keep a turn 3 viable selvala deck around because cEDH is actually super fun in small doses
>>
>>54283989
undead alchemist
>>
>>54283964
>>54283973
I think Mono-Brown Neheb might actually be the best bet, particularly since I have a Blighsteel, Goblin Welder, Darietti, and a Doubling Cube just lying around. That way I can actually use the mana for something, though I'm not sure what at this point. I'm a reanimator/ramp into value kind of guy, so this is a little uncharted territory for me, despite having a pretty stalwart feldon deck. I have literally no idea how storm works, other than "cast a bunch of shit then dragonstorm" or what have you, and that doesn't really seem like my schtick.

Now seize the day is already going in there, because it's far too spicy not to, and I'm planning on running Flamerush Rider with a bunch of Eldrazi Titans/Bane of Bala Ged to cause all sorts of fuckery, and perhaps hamletback goliath and a few fling cards so I can dump a bunch of red mana into something cheap with firebreathing, then instagib someone who isn't paying attention. I already have past in flames and hellkite charger, though I can't say I've used either card.

Bonfire of the damned seems fantastic, and I'm looking into getting Hour of Devastation to use with Blasphemous Act and Arcbond for all sorts of fuckery. I just can't see this deck winning in a multiplayer game, unless I do it all at once in one turn, because in order to do damage to people, I need a threatening board. Maybe rouge's passage and the like can help me out a bit.

If I do wind up going the artifact route, I could always set up an MLD lock, using Neheb to generate all the mana I need with Darietti as backup, but that seems kind of... cheesy.
>>
File: IMG_6279.png (210KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6279.png
210KB, 265x370px
Where does tasigur sit on the power scale for commanders? I pulled one the other day and i'd love to build him but i dont know how much hate he would draw or if it could handle being arch enemy all the time.
>>
>>54284080
BUG is top tier, objectively the best colour combination. Recursion is also fantastic, and having him in the commandzone is a sure sign you want to combo off.

So, to answer your question, somewhere between Zur/Narset and Iona.
>>
>>54284080
Build him as shaman tribal. You'll be fine.
>>
File: Arbora, the Vast.png (349KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arbora, the Vast.png
349KB, 375x523px
I know custom cards and their makers are supposed to stay in their containment thread and usually I respect that but those threads hardly exist anymore and I need some feedback on this particular card

This was made in made for something like a Commander precon, fairly strong because it can't be used anywhere but EDH, meant to give a tribe that's fairly decent the support it needs (like what C17 is going for).

Mono green to restrictive to be a proper Treefolk Commander or do you think the beatdown would be good enough?
>>
>>54284109
>Iona
who actually plays her as a commander?
>>
>>54284164
well at least it sucks
as far as I can tell you cant abuse those triggers very easily or at all, maybe with smokestacks
the requirement to turn them into attackers is pretty high too desu
also 6 mana
wew
>>
>>54284164
>the vast
what relationship does she have with kaalia?
>>
>>54284164
>Mono green to restrictive to be a proper Treefolk Commander
We got our first GB Treefolk in Apocalypse, and when we got treefolk as a proper tribe it was GWB. Treefolk are Abzan.

>>54284225
Dedicated Mono White Stax with Iona, Linvala, Hokori, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Thalia.
>>
>>54284236
It's a pretty casual playgroup that's looking into custom commanders, I didn't make it to be the most cutthroat I could.

>>54284240
It was meant to be in relation to the spreading of forests and treefolk into a vast new ecosystem of killer trees
>>
>>54284246
>Dedicated Mono White Stax with Iona, Linvala, Hokori, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Thalia.
yeah but who in their right mind would put her in the command zone?
>>
>>54284164
Stay in your containment board with your horribly designed cards.
>>
File: 1481081499136.png (63KB, 768x614px) Image search: [Google]
1481081499136.png
63KB, 768x614px
>>54281636
>Thoughts on decks with self-imposed building limits i.e. pauper, peasant, all cards are sub $1 etc.

I mean, that's fine if you want to do it, and I'll pull out my weaker, jankier decks at first. But I'm not always gonna want to play those, so if you don't have something that can keep up, don't get mad. And I'm not even talking tier 1, just like, good tribal shit.
>>
>>54282197
Is that the actual art? That looks like fucking garbage.
>>
>>54281926
So the percentage is entirely reliant on your commander and the amount of people play it? Doesn't that mean that for example 100% Experiment Kraj decks still don't function without the commander and are doomed to get all the shit cards that are reliant on your commander to work, such as Novijen Sages?
Or other comanders for that matter?
>>
>>54281636
I feel that the greatest self-imposed challenge is building the deck true to flavor or some originally unimpressive gimmick, which will turn even the 20+$ into something mediocre, but I'm all for that
>>
>>54284109
>So, to answer your question, somewhere between Zur/Narset and Iona.

>between Zur/Narset and Iona.

So it falls somewhere between almost the best and almost the worst?
>>
>>54284164
>>https://www.reddit.com/r/custommagic/

That's not even a dig, it's just a better place to post this stuff.
>>
>>54282129
It's an idiot's choice to play a powerful deck in a casual table intentionally badly. It's retarded to intentionally make dumb as fuck plays, like playing with a narset and leaving all extra turn or combat cards in exile.
I'd rather play an unoptimal Lammasu tribal deck than tie my shoelaces together for a marathon
>>
>>54284505
Yes, if you go on EDHREC both percentages rely on the commander. Let's use your example. Experiment Kraj has 324 decks on tapped out. Novijen Sages is in 99 out of those decks, or ~30.55%, rounded up to 31%. Novijen Sages is only in around 4% of all analyzed Simic decks, on the other hand, so its synergy with Kraj is 31-4, or 27%. On the other hand, Cytoplast Manipulator is in 75% of Kraj decks and only 7% of Simic decks, for a synergy of 68%. It also works the other way around. Coiling Oracle is in 21% of Kraj decks but a full 48% of Simic decks, so its synergy with Kraj is -27%, which means Simic decks like it, but Kraj doesn't.
>>
>>54282862
Money that has more Value than the dollar :^)
>>
>>54282862
Says the guy with toilet paper in his wallet
>>
>>54284705
>he has cotton toilet paper
What the fuck.
>>
>>54283217
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scorpion-control/

I took a control approach. With almost 1/5 of the deck being wraths, you can just smash people ftw.
>>
>>54284246
>stax
>playing a fucking 9 drop in a command zone that can't even be cheated in because of command zone
>stax playing 9 drops even at all
What's with everyone saying that "card x is a stax card", even though the card never fits in any real stax build. Just because the card says "your opponents cannot x", doesn't make the card a stax card.
>>
Is there a place where I can download Xmage EDH decks?
And what would be a good deck to get a feel for EDH (on Xmage)?
>>
>>54284275
>Yosei
>>
I have a Kruphix deck made (and I love to play)

I made a Zurgo, Helmsmasher voltron/boardwipe deck, played it twice and took it apart.

I made an Anafenza, the Foremost counters matter/rally deck, played it 4 times, took it apart.

I'm thinking about Vial-Smasher//Kydele or Thrasios? Will it be different enough from Kruphix? Or should I do Keranos?
>>
>>54284652
Well, that's fucking stupid
>>
>>54284503
Nah man they look really sweet actually
>>
>>54284864
No it's not.
>>
>>54284839
what are you trying to say
how is that adding to this conversation
what does that dragon have to do with any of this aside from the fact its a white commander who does staxish things?
who in their right mind is going to play Iona in the command zone?
>>
>>54284867
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>54284896
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/san-diego-comic-con-2017-planeswalker-pack
>>
>>54284728
I have a nigger roommate to pick it for me
>>
>>54284875
How is it good? It enforces shit tier deckbuilding, not to mention that garbage deck is garbage, even if it's "100%"
>>
>>54284990
Only if you assume that the average magic player is bad at magic, which makes no sense.
>>
File: 1464962160221.gif (234KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464962160221.gif
234KB, 500x500px
>>54285018
>Only if you assume that the average magic player is bad at magic
>which makes no sense.
Oh honey...
>>
>>54285018
No, I assume that average /edhg/ poster is bad at magic, so it makes perfect sense. I have never seen anyone talking about percentages besides here
>>
>>54285072
Yeah. The average magic player is average at magic. That's how averages work.
>>54285092
EDHREC doesn't look at edhg.
You're saying that EDHREC enforces a loop of bad deckbuilding, which assumes that it starts with bad deckbuilding. Which it doesn't. You're not going to find any sleeper OP cards on EDHREC, but you'll find the average.
>>
>>54285018
The average edh player cant even properly pilot their own decks let alone build decks that are worth copying
the average magic player is god awful at the game to the point where enough people even have a hard time piloting netdecks
>>
>>54285131
>The average magic player is average at magic.
average in this sense means typical you complete autist
as in the average edh player doesnt know how the stack works and therefor is bad at the game.
holy shit
>>
File: 1467827146295.gif (930KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1467827146295.gif
930KB, 384x288px
>>54285131
>That's how averages work
>if none of us know the rules we arent bad we are just average
wut
>>
File: 1467700123254.png (240KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
1467700123254.png
240KB, 640x320px
>>54285092
No need to assume.
>>
File: 1496734171916.gif (994KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1496734171916.gif
994KB, 500x500px
Any cEDH fans out there? Currently running TnT Flash Hulk and loving every second of it.
>>
>>54285186
>>54285198
>edhrec calculates the average cards used from decks on tappedout and deckstats
>the average cards used are somehow worse than average
Nicu.
>>
>>54285237
>the average player
>the average card
>>
>>54285269
>the average player doesn't use the average card
I'm sorry you think everyone is as retarded as you are.
>>
>>54284164
kys
>>
>>54284484
>good tribal

Bit of an oxymoron there.
>>
>>54285237
>the average cards used are somehow worse than average

Only 74% of people playing Stoic Rebuttal also play Counterspell, according to EDHRec.
Only 56% of people playing Mind Control also play Control Magic.
Only 36% of people playing Cancel also play Dissipate.

There's plenty of room for people to make idiots of themselves.
>>
>>54284581
As in:

>So it falls somewhere between totally justified arch-enemy decks, and something like Iona, that looks top tier to complete plebs and monocolour decks, but isn't THAT threatening by virtue of its colour combination and the deck composition.
>>
>>54285473
It's relative.
A zombie tribal Sidisi 1.0 or Krenko Goblins deck will do better than, say, mono blue Serpent tribal.
>>
>>54285541
>will do better than, say, mono blue Serpent tribal.
>tfw Sea Monster Tribal will never take off
Even fucking SPHINXES got tribal support where's my legendary multicolor kraken WotC??
>>
>>54285288
he wasnt talking about the average card
the claim was made that its ridiculous to assume that the average player is bad at the game
i believe the stack was brought up which makes a good point
the average person doesn't even know the rules of the game
>>
File: 1494502319824.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494502319824.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
>>54285237
>this absolute tard
You're forgetting a few things:

>averages are relative to the pool of data they're drawn from. Then, therefore, a lot of EDH decks will be standard jank, derivative precons, or kitchen table scrubbery by virtue of playgroup, which in turn affects the data extrapolated. Inherently there will be much more shitty players than very good players, so using this to base how good the "average" deck is flawed based on the idea that everyone posts their deck online. Only people who are extremely new, or want to show offpost online. This means the Teferi and Omnath ramp decks might not get posted online, but Kruphix will when it's in the testing phase, then after it has been refined, it may not be updated.
>Playgroups are diverse, what's extremely powerful in one play group may be terrible to another. There's no reason to run gravehate, for example, in a meta without recursion. This inherently skews the data towards gross averages, referring to cards that appear most often, but this is neither cards that are most applicable or the best cards for the deck. It's simply arbitrary information. If you built a deck based on EDHREC's most played cards, exclusively, you'd wind up with an unplayable pile of jank. More people are likely to include Massacre Wurm in a monoblack deck, as opposed to Victimize, because Massacre Wurm is an obvious beater, where as victimize is a little counter-intuitive. The same is true for Massacre Wurm over Victimize in a particular general, because reanimator decks make up a smaller percentage of monoblack decks that could play it.
>EDHrec creates a perpetual circlejerk, where people read it, make a deck based on its recommendations, whichmakes EDHrec more likely to recommend certain cards. Look at any Zombie commander, they may have fantastic effects, they may have other options, but tribal idiots are more popular, so the results will always be biased towards zombies
>>
What's a good starter deck to get into EDH?
>>
>>54285801
BG reanimation

cheap, fun, decently powerful, decently fun to play against
>>
>>54285801
look at all the ones available
pick the one you like the playstyle of
spend a few dollars on upgrades
>>
>>54285801
Find a precon that is interesting. grab it, see if you like it and go from there.
>>
>>54285852
this
>>
Quick, post your favourite self-mill commanders!

Hard mode: Where Lab Maniac isn't a primary wincon.
>>
>>54285852
this
>>
How do I build Vial-Smasher//Kydele without a bunch of wheel effects?
>>
File: beetleborgking.png (178KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
beetleborgking.png
178KB, 265x370px
>>54285874
Hard mode achieved.
>>
>>54285896
>how do I build goodstuff without wheels
same way you usually build goodstuff
>>
>>54285874
Gisa and Geralf
>>
File: Image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>54285874
Yidris.

wincon is graveyard stealing shenanigans. BTFO someone with pic related
>>
File: IMG_6270.png (756KB, 565x718px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6270.png
756KB, 565x718px
>>54285903
Cant wait to build him.
>>
File: jarad.jpg (61KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
jarad.jpg
61KB, 265x370px
>>54285874
I know he is worse than Meren, but he draws no hate
>>
>>54285943
meren doesnt have the ability to oneshot the table jarad does, also he draws hate because people know exactly what you will be trying to do
>>
>>54281995
Does anyone even play 50% meta? I just went to LGS and played with random dudes (first time in a long time playing with strangers) and they kept saying "our decks are maybe the worst here. I don't believe people even pkay decks at this level. I don't like stax (and other oppressive mechanics) etc. And then they have decks with palinchron, craterhoof, old fetch lands, duals, inf combo, tooth&nail. So are there really people anywhere who like to play with decks that don't cost over 150€. I havent met a meta like that yet.
>>
File: Image (3).jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (3).jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>54285986
shhh just let it happen
>>
>>54286018
I just wanna play with cheap decks with spicy tecs without infinite combos, cheating of mana cost (not too much at least), stax, counterspelltribal etc. I dont wanna spend hunders of dollars on a deck just so that i can play even matches
>>
>>54285903
I've been planning to pick one up, but all of a sudden I'm struck by the idea of making it Grixis to get things like Mana Echoes and Shared Animosity.

Should I just build it with the Scarab God as the secret commander? I could just dedicate enough tutors for it, and he does auto-recur himself.
>>
File: Sygg%2C+River+Guide+%5BLRW%5D.jpg (39KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Sygg%2C+River+Guide+%5BLRW%5D.jpg
39KB, 223x310px
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/697728#paper
just built sygg because brago was too mean. about to buy the cards
is there anything i am missing?
>>
>>54284080
Close to top tier, the best control general.
>>
>>54286052
Spreading Seas and the tribal cantrip that does the same to reach Islandwalk more consistently.
>>
>>54286126
ill put in seas as well
>>
>>54285986

I don't see how Jarad in the command zone is any less likely than meren to tell people "exactly what you will be trying to do"

I think "draws hate" would be a good way to filter posts in these generals. Pretty much everybody who uses that phrase is retarded beyond belief
>>
>>54286241
"draws hate" just means "easy threat to assess"
threat assessment is 90% of what makes you good at edh
>>
File: 1421073480893.jpg (2MB, 1560x1780px) Image search: [Google]
1421073480893.jpg
2MB, 1560x1780px
So why aren't the demigods legendary creatures?
>>
>>54286351
Presumably thanks to Revenge actively desiring multiples, and creative deciding there was no reason they had to be unique.
>>
>>54286444
Oh, yeah.

Would have been cool to build decks with them tho.
>>
If I activate Heartless Hidetsuga while Gisela is out does everyone but me just die?
>>
>>54286488
Kind of, especially if they'd been avaliable in the day. Awe, Fugue and Pride would still be kind of legit, maybe Fealty but I swear I've seen the spitting image of its ability on a nonlegendary. Dusk and Scars would have been pretty alright when they dropped but have since been outdone by Sigarda (for GW Voltron) and Hapatra (For BG -1/-1 counter shenanigans)

Calamity, Myth, and War feel like they'd be fairly solidly outclassed by multiple other options but I'm not sure when those options came out since I couldn't name them as easily as the trade-ups from Dusk and Scars.
>>
>>54286598
yes
>>
>>54286598
Yep.
>>
>>54286598
Only players who are at even life totals. Those at odd life totals will be left at 1.
>>
>>54286598
No, because opponents might have uneven life totals.
>>
>>54286598
Everyone on even health. Hidegetsu rounds down, so when Gisela doubles again if they were on odd health they'll end up on 1.
>>
>>54286598
Yes.
>>
>>54286654
>>54286647
>>54286641
You shitters need to git gud. Opponent on 41 life, Hidetsugu taps for 20 (41/2, rounded down) damage, doubled to 40 by Gisela. End result: opponent at 1.
>>
>>54286598
If they have an even life total, yes. Otherwise, say someone has 31 life. Hidetsugu will do 15 to them, which will become 30 thanks to Gisela, and they'll narrowly survive.
>>
How would you rank the two and three color combinations (separately) from best to worst?
>>
>>54286018
I have some bad Vela ninja bouncy castle and a Thromok deck that are probably 50% or less.
But yeah I have the same problem as you, can't really play them when everyone I play with have every pain/fetch/bilands and probably half a paycheck worth of cards in every deck.(Still bring them with me just in case)
>>
>Playing new Archangel Avacyn deck I threw together vs Edric
>Play Pyrohemia on turn 3
>Scoops
Any good tech for Archangel Avacyn?
>>
>>54286887

>Best
Sultai
Temur
Bant
Simic
Golgari
Esper
Azorius
Mardu
Grixis
Izzet
Abzan
Jeskai
Dimir
Orzhov
Selesnya
Jund
Naya
Gruul
Rakdos
Boros
>Worst
>>
I was reading about Brago, King Eternal, and I've found out that, apparently, it would allow you to attach auras to hexproof creatures
How does that work?
>>
>>54287197
Auras only target when they're on the stack. if they enter the battlefield through any other mechanism, they don't. It's a weird corner case the likes of which I'm surprised they didn't remove in the Magic 2010 or Magic Origins rules shakeups, but nonetheless it endures.
>>
>>54287216
Thanks
>>
File: Chibi.png (238KB, 851x476px) Image search: [Google]
Chibi.png
238KB, 851x476px
>>54287044
>boros
>worst
>>
>>54287255
Firmly.
>>
>>54287255
hands down the worst. People thought Kalemne would shake things up but lol
>>
>>54287255
It truly is.
>>
>>54287255
Objectively.
>>
>>54287255
All boros has is
-Gisela
-Aurelia
-Sunforger
-MLD

It's not a good look, especially when you draw into sunforger targets. OG Sigarda is a better voltron commander too.
>>
File: ps3.jpg (25KB, 482x324px) Image search: [Google]
ps3.jpg
25KB, 482x324px
>>54287044
>top four all have blue and green
Why is orzhov so low?
>>
>>54287255
by leaps and bounds
it has no decent commanders
and is the worst two color combination in a vacuum
>>
>>54287499
because the only decent commander orzhov has is og boobmom and even she is slow
>>
>>54287522
>and is the worst two color combination in a vacuum
Why? Because they can't offer much synergy between the colors?
>>
>>54287499
>top four all have blue and green
Exactly.
>>
>>54287546
card draw and ramp are nonexistant
>>
>>54287539
>og boobmom
Who?
>>
File: Image (4).jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (4).jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>54287599
>>
>>54287563
thats actually not true nor the reason why boros is bad
there is enough overcosted ramp or rocks (most good decks use rocks anyway)
even mono red has better decks because they have powerful commanders
the real problem with boros is, yes the lack of card draw/card advantage, but mostly the lack of a powerful commander
>>
>>54285233
What the fuck is TnT?
>>
>>54287780
Prob Thrasios and Tymna
>>
>>54282684

I wanted him for a Bant deck...

But Roon sure is neato too!
>>
>>54287632
I won't bring up rocks and mono brown draw, every deck has access to those. WR doesn't have the manafixing that Green provides, the tutoring black brings or blue's general "I'm going draw a lot of cards each turn schtick. With Boros, you have Land Tax effects, Gamble and Sunforger turbo. That's very limiting in what you can play and do. You'd never really play a 5+cmc instant in Boros, for instance. And every boros deck will run Sunforger turbo because that's basically all you can really do with the colors.

Without consistent, cheap card draw, Boros pisses through cards very quickly. You swing kinda hard, and then you get focused when you're in topdeck mode and everyone else is sitting pretty at 3-4 cards. Boros is an aggro color in a format that makes aggro 6x more difficult

>lack of powerful commander
Even if they get a strong commander, RW has been long pigeonholed as the swingy color combo. The combo itself is weak and limited. A good RW commander would have to ignore a large part of the color combo
>>
What is the "super competitive vintage singleton 100%" deck. Im kinda new and i want to know what is the most disgusting thing there is. Or is the thing jusr some meme
>>
>>54286351
Hmm, I have too much free time, and I took a peak at what each Demigod would be like with their equipment attached.

Oversoul of Dusk would be a tremendous pain in the ass. Protection from Grixis and indestructible is way too good, and a 7/7 would just be overwhelming. Certain decks just wouldn't be able to handle it.

Deity of Scars is also pretty intense. 7/7 Trample, Deathtouch, all creatures have to block it, AND it can regenerate. I can't imagine having to deal with that, though you could easily fuck up his day.

Ghastlord of Fugue is my personal favorite. Unblockable, then when it deals combat damge, you get to exile any card from their hand, they discard a card, and you also get to draw. That's just wacky.

Divinity of Pride is also notable for being a 12/12 for 6 mana and two cards in commander.
>>
>>54287952
>rocks
every deck uses these because they are more efficient in many cases than green ramp
>mono brown draw
extremely inefficient and or expensive
this is the main difference between boros and other decks
>>
>>54288016
It's a meme people spread to justify their shitbrew.

Really, they're talking about $3k Foodchain Tazri, where you win on t3 every single game, with protection backed so you can combo off through removal.

Try picking something you like, and building the best version you can. Any other way is just retarded.
>>
>>54288016
>super competitive vintage singleton 100%
this is known as cEDH it russles jimmies because its competitive.
its fun dont get me wrong but honestly gets boring if its the only kind of edh you play

stick with casual you will have fun and at the end of the day its not like you are trying to build a deck for a PTQ or anything
>>
File: 1493213124796.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493213124796.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>54288030
>every deck uses these because they are more efficient in many cases than green ramp
Congrats, that's the stupidest thing I've read all day. There are three artifacts better than green ramp:
>mana crypt
>mana vault
>grim monolith

Everything else is situational, and plopping a basic on the battlefield would be much better, on average, particularly since they're more difficult to remove. As soon as you hit 2G mana, you have access to Primal Growth, Harrow, Cultivate, and Kodama's Reach, which outclass just about anything else, except maybe the signets.
>>
>>54287539
>Implying Ayli isn't good
>Implying Karlov isn't good
>>54287632
Unfortunately Wizards cannot comprehend that Boros could do something else than turning creatures sideways in smacking fashion.
I'd be happy to get a Boros commander that supports stax in some way, which is where boros shines, or hell, even a spellslinger commander that does things whenever you cast spells.
Still, my favorite option would be a commander that had a stapled in rule of law or allowing people to draw only one card a turn from their abilities and spells for example, of course not overall, since Leovold was a mistake.
Sadly, only that there's Brion and maybe Archangel Avacyn as good ones that are not combat oriented.
>>
>>54288164
>There are three artifacts better than green ramp
all signets and talismans are faster than rampant growth and come down before cultivate not only that they fix for two colors
>>
File: FlyingSmugkick.png (731KB, 520x720px) Image search: [Google]
FlyingSmugkick.png
731KB, 520x720px
>>54288180
>>Implying Ayli isn't good
>>Implying Karlov isn't good
implying they are
LOL
>>
File: Image (4).jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (4).jpg
35KB, 223x310px
FUCK blue
>>
>>54288164
>artifact based mana ramp is worse than green land ramp
Congratulations, this is the stupidest thing I have read all year.
Only reason green has the potential to be better is the fact that artifacts are more prone for removal than lands. Land ramp is a lot more inefficient than artifacts and I cannot think of many landramp spells that are actually extremely good
>>
Is there any feel better than starting to finally win with a deck you've upgraded and practiced a lot with?

I was always left alone until recently and when I started to pull wins people finally started recognizing me as a threat and focusing me. Feels fucking good man
>>
File: 1491502775689-v.jpg (34KB, 638x639px) Image search: [Google]
1491502775689-v.jpg
34KB, 638x639px
>>54288275
You take that back NOW!
>>
How do i ramp in esper?
>>
File: sydri,galvanicgenius.full.jpg (110KB, 240x345px) Image search: [Google]
sydri,galvanicgenius.full.jpg
110KB, 240x345px
I love turning everyones rocks into creatures whenever anyone wraths
>>
File: Listen Here Fuckwad.jpg (48KB, 750x754px) Image search: [Google]
Listen Here Fuckwad.jpg
48KB, 750x754px
>>54288521
mana rocks
holy shit
even in this thread this question has been answered already
if you cant read a book at least read the thread.
>>
>>54288292
>no discard to destroy target blue spell on the stack
for shame
>>
>>54285874
adun okenshield
>>
>>54288546
Which ones?
>>
File: women.jpg (165KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
women.jpg
165KB, 720x960px
>>54288460
waifus are for making daughterus and old men are just creepy
>>
>>54283989
Phenax
>>
>>54287044
>tfw Boros and Jeskai are my favorite color combinations

I love Brion and nothing will ever stop that.
>>
>>54288621
do yourself a favor and familiariize yourself with magiccards.info
it is the best tool for building decks hands down
but just to get you started, sol ring is number one and CHEAP compared to its powerlevel
next you have signets, you will want most of your mana rocks to be 1-2 mana and reserve 3 mana rocks for something that brings a little extra like chromatic lantern.
you also have talismans which are like signets but better
you have mind stone, hedron archive (draws cards in a pinch so its worth the 4 mana) you also have star compass, fellwar stone, the diamond cycle and im sure there are others that are playable too

aim for 35 lands
10 mana rocks in esper

then just make sure you have enough ways of getting card advantage then BAM you will be well on your way to playing esper in edh!
>>
>arguably better than eternal witness
>not even a quarter of the price

modern legality is huge
>>
>>54288678
>Brion
i always forget about him

literally only boros commander that is worth building in my opinion
>>
>>54288698
better politics card
>>
>>54287489
>-Gisela

This. Gisela is an extremely fun general and the only good thing Boros has.

Also is running mana barbs just gonna get you killed?
>>
>>54288698
>arguably better than eternal witness
>helps your opponents
I want to call you a faggot but
>less than a quarter
oh man edh is a great format
>>
>>54287044
>Jund so low when it has one of the best fucking commanders in the game
>>
>>54288017
Pride would only be an 11/11.
>>
>>54288880
Prossh is basically its only beacon of functionality, though.
>>
>>54287489
Why does Mono Red get a bunch of fun and good stuff like Feldon, Daretti, Krenko and Zada and then they drop the fucking ball with the Boros precon.

I wouldn't mind Zada being RW considering all the weenies support thhat white has
>>
daily reminder that people only think artifact ramp is better than lands because nobody packs 3 to 5 dedicated artifact removal spells.

every deck should have 3 to 5 spots dedicated to artifact removal. it is not that flashy but every deck uses artifacts.

Daily reminder that no matter what you tell yourself about your super tuned deck you can be stopped by a shitty 1 or 2 mana artifact every time.

do your duty.
>>
>>54288419
>I cannot think of many landramp spells that are actually extremely good

There's, I guess, Nature's Lore/Three Visits, Skyshroud Claim, and maybe Restore. Blighted Woodfall is also pretty good, since it comes "free" on an untapped land.
>>
>>54288925
It has green and black. That alone makes it preety decent and much better than being Naya tier
>>
>>54288973
I have Viridan Corrupter, Krosan Grip, Beast Within, Bane of Progress, Rec Sage, and a bunch of tutors in my Newzuri deck

That should be enough right?
>>
Do you guys only play to win with big brash competitive decks, or do you guys like to play the game as a casual multiplayer friend fest?
Also, mainly for cube but also for EDH, do you guys ever proxy cards that are just not worth buying a 5th copy of for a singleton format?
>>
>>54288973
>5 dedicated removal for a signet

daily reminder that /tg/ is bad at magic
>>
>>54289017
you are doing God's work anon
>>
>>54288978
Only proble here is that they only search forests. I would say that Crop Rotation is pretty good though
>>
>>54289074
If I payed to enter a tournemant, I will turn two flash/hulk with force of will back up without hesitation.

If I didn't pay to play, I whip out the casual deck and have some fun.
>>
>>54289074
>Do you guys only play to win with big brash competitive decks, or do you guys like to play the game as a casual multiplayer friend fest?

people who are playing with competitive decks aren't really playing edh. casual edh is the way the format is intended to be played. the guys making the banlist don't give a shit about competitive edh.

>do you guys ever proxy cards that are just not worth buying a 5th copy of for a singleton format?

typically no. if it's not worth buying, then it's not worth proxying
>>
>>54286351
Helm of the Ghastlord is bretty gud on Nekusar desu.
>>
>>54289080
You can remove from a signet or a Sol Ring to the fucking Crucible of the Gitrog player
>>
>>54289133
Yeah, but there are plenty of Forests that tap for two colors. There's even a real fancy one that taps for three.
>>
>>54285874
EZPZ4ME

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/buy-one-get-one-dead/

>>54283989
>>54285903
>>54285941
He's my secret commander in a Phenax, mostly wall-and-crab tribal, deck. Haven't tried it out yet, but if he plays against good stuff in commander at all like he plays against good stuff in draft, I'm gonna have a grand old time.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fried-noodles-getter/
>>
>>54287546
The only thing White does best is playing from behind, which isn't where you want to be. The only thing Red does best is advantage through damage, which gets shut down by too many things, and is hurt by a doubled life total.
>>
>>54286351
5c avatar c17 leak when
>>
>>54289250
It's kind of funny, but completely expected, that Blasphemous Act is the most played card in Red.
>>
>>54288545
I love popping lands to keep people off green and red.
>>
>>54289335
Like a month ago. The Ur-Dragon is a Dragon Avatar.
>>
>>54289200
>Meld Bruna

Thanks for the list, how would you say it plays? I opened both halves of Brunela at the EMN prerelease and have yet to find a home for them.
>>
>>54289200
I like that scarab is basically fuck you creature based graveyard decks and locust is fuck you grouphug/nekusar decks.
>>
File: IMG_6290.jpg (50KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6290.jpg
50KB, 223x310px
Saw the naya precon deck in one of those clear plastic things they sell at target, how does it play? I was thinking it might be good to just have unmodified for when someone new wants to play since i assume its just a turn big guys sideways kind of deck.
>>
>>54289421
For shitting around it's top notch, but it's pretty damn durdly, so before building ask yourself, "Do I lose if I haven't taken serious action against a mildly taxed table by turn 6?"
>>
>>54289506
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Sealed+Product/Commander+2013+Nature+of+the+Beast#paper

It's not really that great. You really just get Nature's Path, Wrath of God, and Avenger of Zendikar for your trouble.
>>
>>54285903
This guy is slowly rising after pre-release in price, should I get him now or wait a couple more weeks for its price to drop?
>>
>>54289755
If he gets a deck in standard his price is going to double or more.

If his price drops it won't be below 5-6$. Is saving 5$ worth the risk of losing $10+?

That's up to you to decide
>>
>>54289755
Wait for the actual release. It's almost never worth it to buy something in between the Prerelease and Release unless you know it's a sleeper card.
>>
>>54288164

Sol Ring?
>>
File: sheldon.jpg (32KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
sheldon.jpg
32KB, 300x451px
*ruins edh for tryhards by existing*

praise sheldon
>>
>>54287489
Behold, serious Boros.dek

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/leave-to-chance-depala/

Probably has potential to be tier 2. When I was fishbowling with a version that was budgetless and ran an egg package as well, it could combo off consistently around turn 4-5. It would probably go even faster if we could play Ad Nauseam in Boros. In my playtesting, biggest reason Depala is better than any other Boros commander is both her cheaper mana cost and that all her combo pieces can be tutored within the colors themselves. Most attempts at competitive Boros I have seen try to utilize Splinter Twin / Kiki-Jiki Combos, which in my opinion are too creature based to be consistent in boros only. Combos that rely on a handful of artifacts, especially ones that use equipments, can be tutored much more efficiently in boros.

That being said, Boros does have Imperial Recruiter and Recruiter of the Guard to tutor for Twin pieces. However, in a budgetless version where you could actually run Imperial Recruiter, I would rather use those to tutor things like Auriok Salvagers or Stoneforge Mystic, which feed into the combos that Depala can utilize.
>>
>>54288973
I start every red deck with Fiery Confuence, Vandalblast, Shattering Spree and Smash, and I actually don't feel comfortable building outside of Rxx decks because of the efficiency of it's artifact removal.
Huge Grixis fag
>>
>>54290268
What grixis generals would be fun for not spellslinging or vultron?
>>
File: hey hey hey.png (498KB, 678x480px) Image search: [Google]
hey hey hey.png
498KB, 678x480px
HEY HEY HEY

EDH is autistic and gay
>>
>>54290388
>Implying we didn't already know that.

Good one.
>>
>>54290388

A lot of work went into this post and I appreciate it
>>
File: a home for competitive.png (496KB, 678x478px) Image search: [Google]
a home for competitive.png
496KB, 678x478px
>>54290099
>>54290388
URAAAAGH

S Y N T H E S I S

MEEEEEEMEEEEE
>>
>>54290346
sedris? marchesa?
>>
>>54290442
M-masaka!?
>>
File: Image.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
Is there any secret tech for her, or is she just Gruul goodstuffs? I'm such a Johnny sometimes that it's hard to see the Timmy side of things.
>>
>>54290388

true desu
>>
>>54290223
Thank you anon. Although why isn't this deck running any dual lands? Especially over Survivors' Encampment and Holdout Settlement?
>>
>>54290346

Sedris, thraximundar, marchesa, vial smasher + kraum
>>
>>54290581
those lands are sources for tapping Depala
>>
File: echoingtruth.full.jpg (91KB, 240x345px) Image search: [Google]
echoingtruth.full.jpg
91KB, 240x345px
>tfw someone attacks you with tokens
>>
>>54290268
there is no better feel than to go on a shattering spree on a guy that just dumped his hand in the form of mana rocks.

>>
File: 6061_200w.jpg (29KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
6061_200w.jpg
29KB, 200x285px
post the weirdest cards you've recently discovered
>>
>>54290581
I assume you do not mean expensive cards like Plateau, but cheaper cards like Sacred Foundry or Battlefield Forge.
Honestly the biggest reason is sheer laziness. given how many mana rocks I play, my fishbowling never saw any moment where I did not have proper coloring, so while I did think about it, the urgency was not there.

On the plus side, sticking to as many basic lands as possible grants greater output from Land Tax, and getting shit on less by Blood Moon / Ruination. The Land Tax thing, believe it or not, actually does matter quite a bit for cards like Molten Vortex. Also, many of the good stax lists currently run Back to Basics. Optimally I should still play more color fixing options than I am currently, but the need has not made itself apparent yet.

>>54290604
This anon gets it!
>>
>>54284652
EDHREC relies heavily on tappedout. Not a fucking one of my friends have any single decks listed there.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170712-164853.jpg (605KB, 1077x1487px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170712-164853.jpg
605KB, 1077x1487px
>>54290735
This card is fun in brago to tap out anyone trying to disrupt you, or forcing winter orb down their throat
>>
>>54290346
I've been playing around with Bolas Cruel Control, with kind of a theme on using Bolas cards.
>>
>>54290763

So what's up with the bad nonbasics then?
>>
Got back into mtg, specifically EDH because a few friends are super into it. Built Slivers, Sygg Merfolk Tribal, and Reaper King with lots of flickering and changelings. Am I being too much of a tryhard? I'm not used to having to focus on making a fun deck instead of a winning one
>>
>>54290943
You're fine unless it's Sliver Queen.
>>
Building a Sidisi Brood Tyrant deck which is essentially counterspell tribal
what would you recommend?
>>
>>54290874
All combo pieces. The artifact lands are intended to work with Kuldotha Forgemaster (or things like Mox Opal if I shelled out).
Survivor's Encampment + Holdout Settlement are intended to help you tap Depala in case you do not have a vehicle/springleaf drum available.
Mistveil Plains puts back instants used with Sunforger, and in particular there is an infinite that this can accomplish in conjunction with Sword of Feast and Famine.
Inventors' Fair is a literal tutor.
>>
File: urzasincubator.full.jpg (97KB, 240x345px) Image search: [Google]
urzasincubator.full.jpg
97KB, 240x345px
>>54291018
naga

nobody plays nagas
>>
File: 299.jpg (74KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
299.jpg
74KB, 312x445px
>>54290735
Not a very weird or uncommon card really, but I've recently become hooked on playing and building Coastal Piracy-type decks. Naturally this consists of small, hard to block critters and going wide and this card is very punishing against the common EDH mindset of playing big stuff. Also very cool that the card retained it's original art for as long as it did. Also love it because it used to be real deal in some Nether Spirit decks way back.
>>
>>54290223
>Infinite turn combo

That's mean anon
>>
>>54291228
Also forgot to add how does this do in multiplayer?
>>
File: reconnaissance.jpg (151KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
reconnaissance.jpg
151KB, 464x664px
>>54290735
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saved-cards-1/
check it out
>>
>>54291337
This is my not-so-secret spice in Taigam.
>>
>>54291228
>>54291237
I think its actually pretty funny that it is an infinite turn combo in Boros. Give blue a taste of its own medicine.

As for your second question, not sure if you mean 'how does the infinite turn thing work in multiplayer' or the deck in general. I actually have no idea how the infinite turn thing would do in multiplayer. All you have to do to stop it is block. Since it utilizes Sword of Feast and Famine you can at least know you killed Meren for sure.
If you meant the deck itself, my disclaimer is that I have yet to actually get field practice with this deck (mostly fishbowling), so while I know you can definitely combo out at a decent speed (and even better with a higher budget), im not really sure how it plays out. I see quite often being able to ramp up to an early Armageddon/Winter Orb into a Hatebear, which is usually good in multiplayer. Certain card choices will also change how the deck performs. I rounded out the stax effects blindly, but I am sure if you intend to play against a bunch of Thrasios decks, you can chuck in cards like Spirit of the Labyrinth and Cursed Totem to shit on it. Neither of those cards hurt this deck either. So I guess the best answer is it has the potential to be good in a multiplayer setting, but match up knowledge is required to make sure the proper card choices are made (and I think the deck is able to run some spicy stax effects).
>>
>>54291050

Ohhhh, did not catch the holdout settlement depala interaction
>>
File: faerieartisans.full.jpg (96KB, 240x345px) Image search: [Google]
faerieartisans.full.jpg
96KB, 240x345px
>>54291337
Thanks anon, I will use this card (image related) in my brago deck
>>
>>54281636
>pauper
I have a Pauper EDH deck that could probably whup my normal group's ass. They're terrible deckbuilders but they're still fun to play with
>>
File: IMG_0559.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0559.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ideal-setting/

This deck is so much fun!!!
>>
>>54291454
No worries, I was expecting you to say that does not look like a good reason to run them. That would still be a good point imo, since I could just run more tap effects / Vehicles. That said, I just realized that they let you get around Stony Silence, though I'm not sure how you would be in a position to get infinite mana with Stony Silence on board. seems like a fun thing to look into.
>>
What are the best Academy Rector targets? Besides Omniscience, that's obvious.
>>
File: overwhelmingsplendor.jpg (36KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
overwhelmingsplendor.jpg
36KB, 265x370px
>>54291585
For the big "Fuck you"
>>
>>54290977
I've got all 4 legendary slivers, but Overlord is my commander, and I usually fetch manaweft/gemhide, haste granter, and queen, in that order for exponential slivers
>>
>>54290943
HARVEST TIME
>>
Alright fellas, who's a good Wild Card-type commander? My group plays a 5-man format where the Wild Card is in it for himself, but the other 4 are pitted in teams of 2 against each other (and you), and the 5th guy can swing the tide either way, or fuck both teams over. I was thinking either Hidetsugu or mono-red Grenzo
>>
>>54290388
>Says this while posting a bunch of tier 1 commanders
>Instead of the fun ones
>>
>>54290943
>tryhard
>building tribal shit
Yeah no. If you were playing Kaalia, then sure, she's a tryhard "tribal" card, but merfolk isn't that good in EDH, Rape king is commonly pretty bad and slivers are a shitty pubstomp deck, where Sliver Queen combo is only actually good one.
If you were actually a tryhard, you'd play some kind of combo, not modern memes or any kind of tribals.
That said, your meta seems super casual if you do well with such decks.
>>
File: teysa,envoyofghosts.jpg (177KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
teysa,envoyofghosts.jpg
177KB, 480x680px
>>54291707
teysa with ghostly prison effects and tempt with immortality
>>
File: Gwendlyn Di Corci_LG.jpg (300KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Gwendlyn Di Corci_LG.jpg
300KB, 672x936px
How do I build a good deck around this one? What are some good combos for these colors?
>>
>>54289730
What's Nature's Path?
>>
I tried making Rafiq with a bunch of equipment, auras and exalted triggers and found that I just fold to removal.

How do I make a deck not fold to removal?
>>
>>54292068

you cant play auras and equipment as a gameplan unless you have a hexproof commander. even then its not foolproof just a little more likely to work

but as far as not folding to removal goes, you have other options. decks that dont fold to removal:

gy recursion decks
decks that dont rely on permanents
tokens
>>
File: invasivesurgery.jpg (86KB, 240x345px) Image search: [Google]
invasivesurgery.jpg
86KB, 240x345px
>>54292068
remove the removals
>>
>>54292100

forget the thread youre in?
>>
>>54291851
>Gwendlyn
BadTouch.dec -- just take a little of anything that will make your opponents feel dirty when it hits them. Slaver locking one opponent is good, shit like Fatespinner, choice of damnations, anything that lets you pick through your opponent's stuff and make them wince as you consider your options on how to fuck them.
>>
>>54291854
Prob means Nature's Lore
>>
are there any commanders that synergize well with cycling?
>>
>>54291854
>>54292164
Possibly Ranger's Path
>>
>>54292173
Zur the Enchanter fetches the major cycling enchantments(aside from new perspectives).
>>
>>54291840
>tfw no milky ghost mommy gf
>>
>>54291840
I want to make a spooky ghost council deck that has all of the ghost council cards in it.

Which one would serve best at the helm of the deck?
>>
>>54292401
uncle touchy.
>>
File: gay.png (232KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
gay.png
232KB, 387x580px
>>54292401

Brago
>>
>>54292401
Selenia.
>>
>>54292401
Niv-Mizzet, obviously.
>>
>>54292173
Phelddagriff. You play Oath of Druid, use Phelddagriff to make sure that no one else gets to use OoD, then mill out most of your deck until you see Terastodon, the only creature in deck. You hope to god you milled Life from the Loam, so that you can add it back which gives you a bunch of lands with cycling on it. Proceed to win by using Astral Slide to constantly flicker Terastodon and shit on the board.
>>
File: ghave.png (821KB, 496x694px) Image search: [Google]
ghave.png
821KB, 496x694px
>want this version
>it's not for sale
>>
>>54292728
Good idea, until everyone gets 3/3s and takes a fat shit all over you
>>
>>54292401
Original Ghost Council. Sac outlet builds the deck for you
>>
>>54292758

That's hideous
>>
>>54292799
nah dude one of the lands you milled was Glacial Chasm so you dont take damage.
>>
File: meirl.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
meirl.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>used to feel happy when ordering cards, even with big orders
>nowadays feel guilty even when making small orders

it's becoming harder and harder for me to rationalize these purchases

i keep buying cards and using them for a game or two, then throwing them into my big pile of forgotten cards
>>
>>54292956
I know that feel. I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger on one.

It includes an invocation Attrition
>>
Somebody recommend me the best hand hate cards for a Grixis deck with Bolas at the helm
>>
>>54293003
Notion Thief into any wheel because Grixis is good at that.
>>
Are there official mulligan rules for EDH somewhere or does every playgroup just do their own thing? I swear they were on the official site at some point but I can't find them anymore. Been a while since I've played.
>>
File: 1439692861055.png (6KB, 224x173px) Image search: [Google]
1439692861055.png
6KB, 224x173px
>>54292956
Being a limited mortal meatbag with stupid whims and stupid desires sucks doesn't it?
>>
>>54293076
first mulligan free, then it's vancouver mulligan
>>
>>54293076
Currently accepted rules are Vancouver NR+1. Draw your initial hand of seven. If you don't like them, set them aside and draw a new hand of seven. If you still don't like them you can continue to draw, setting aside and drawing six, then five, and so on. After all mulligan decisions have been made, shuffle all set aside cards into your deck, and if you have less than 7 cards in hand, Scry 1.
>>
>>54293000
That is a nice card but don't bother with invocations they drop hard
>>
>>54293106
>>54293114

Got it, thanks guys.
>>
>>54293003
Put nekusar in the zone, the elder mastery and helm of the ghastlord get pretty funny.
>>
Built a land destruction/stax build with this guy, not sure if that's the right direction but interested in the results.

Anyone test this guy yet?
>>
Anyone got any extra-tasty Yidris brews? I want to give a considerable revamp to the precon.
>>
>>54293386
Eldrazi tribal.
>>
>>54293318
Play smoke and aggrivated assault. Then play isochron final fortune and a sundial of the infinite for your wincon with sofaf and strionic resonator out for maximum mana.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>54293500
>>54293500
>>54293500
>>54293500
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.