[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 29

File: Crusader.jpg (189KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Crusader.jpg
189KB, 1360x768px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b
Are these even still valid? if not should probably remove them

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>54182540

So, how often do you take short rests? How many per long rest?
>>
>>54189138
I'd allow two per day. My DM does 5 minutes rests between each combat
>>
Are there any ways to send unwilling targets permanently to another plane of existence besides their native one? I'm a DM and would like a spell to justify what I'm going to do to my players. Banishment would work, but it only lasts a minute. I'd just like some sort of justification beyond "this guy's magic is so powerful" or "he has such a powerful artifact that it does XYZ!!!!" however I'm willing to go with that if it's impossible by regular means.
>>
>>54189138
Best way to take short rests is at the end of every encounter, playing them as 5 to 10 minutes. Infinite amount per day.
>>
How do we fix the sorcerer?
>>
Kenku can speak telepathically, how does this make you feel anon
>>
>>54189012
She is playing like a mongrel then, 4-5 superiority dice is enough to carry you through 3-4 fights or so, but the amount of dice the subclass gets is not really enough balance-wise because for the most part they're essentially worse smites with usually rather weak side-effects slapped on top of them.
>>54189059
Battlemaster/Monhun with Martial Adept is the only remotely fun way of playing such a mind-numbing class like fighter, at least it has a modicum of combo potential like getting a free attack out of evasive footwork + riposte, which is somewhat risky but is more efficient damage-wise.
I can't fathom what kind of person you'd have to be to actually pick Champion.
>>
>>54189138

as far as I can tell short rests can be done after every combat encounter with little to no penalty, unless there's some time-critical event going on like "we have to reach the keep and alert the guards as fast as possible"
>>
File: 1499355845192.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1499355845192.png
7KB, 225x225px
>So, how often do you take short rests? How many per long rest?
>study adventuring rules intently, including DMG variant rules
>DM throws nothing but exposition rooms and arenas where big bad #73 or party NPC #154 endlessly monologue
>even when he's actually running a premade module or dungeon he's so inept at reading we have to keep our own copy of it open to make sure he runs the traps and encounters correctly
>there's literally no consequence to resting
>oh but friendly dungeon monster/NPC makes sure we get a long rest before we fight the boss in the next room
I'm gonna quit this game.
>>
>>54189178
>Needing a spell to justify banishing permanently
i dont think you need to justify that stuff unless your players tend to sperg out if you do something "mean"
but yes if your guy was on that plane he could gate them there and then plane shift him self away
>>
>>54189202
Metamagic can be used once per round of turns without costing spell points. Metamagic can be used on any spell cast within 30 feet of the sorcerer. Tweak metamagic options with this in mind. Sorcery points are now used to cast spells instead of slots. Use the numbers in the DMG for new sorcery point values per level.
>>
>>54189178
Plane Shift. Requires a melee spell hit and the target to fail a save though.
>>
Anyone use the variant rule; hit die for long rests? Does it makes things too difficult? Does it add unnecessary resource management for hit die?
>>
What are the most important things to have memorized (or at least have quick access to so you aren't flipping through books) for a first time DM?
>>
>>54189178
NPCs don't need PC spells to do shit. You want them on another plane? Send there ass to another plane.
>>
Should the OP be adding the new Plane Shift: Amonkhet to the list, seeing as how it's the newest bit of Unearthed Arcana-esque content in the game so far?

http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf
>>
>>54189275
If I was a DM I would like to to use that and the one where you have to spend a healer's kit charge to spend hit dice one.
I'm not sure how or when you regain hit dice though if you spend them in a long rest?
>>
>>54189249
He could have the enemy be a devination wizard and use portants
>>
>>54189178
The easiest way would just to use gate instead
>>
What's the best way to build a Barbarian assuming no Feats are allowed?

TWF or Sword n' Board?

I assume Feats will be allowed but figure I'd better make an option up without them just to be safe.
>>
>>54189178
teleport glyph of warding?
>>
>>54189303
>>54189275

Never DM'd but I was thinking if I ever did, I'd change the healing so that long rests allow you to spend hit dice, and you have to spend a week off to regain all hit points + hit dice.

Part of the reason is because I'd want regaining HP to be a bigger deal, but part of it is because in all my games, everything happens in a matter of days and I'd want to stretch time out a bit so it's at least feasible to do things like learn a new language or other downtime stuff.
>>
>>54189281
Recommended damage/hitpoints per round for a custom monster of any given CR. You can make a lot of things up while remaining fair with those two numbers.

PCs do something stupid and trigger an avalanche? Well look up a deadly CR number for them, find out how much damage a monster of that CR does in a round, and apply it to the PCs!
>>
File: jesp.jpg (299KB, 1402x1600px) Image search: [Google]
jesp.jpg
299KB, 1402x1600px
>>54188970
>The problem comes in that any party with a caster in it is probably going to take long rests as often as possible to allow that caster to cheese through everything.

"As often as possible" isn't necessarily going to be all that often. Try taking a long rest in Barovia, see how well that works out for you.

My point being that this seems like a DM problem, not a system problem.
>>
>>54189354
I've experimented with longer long rests (somewhat similar to what you're proposing) before, and it isn't fun. If you want to stretch things out, do skill challenge based downtime for long term goals of the players.
>>
>>54189349
I would probably use a two handed weapon if there's no feats. Sword and board is neat for the idea of having the highest AC possible, but as a barbarian you really shouldn't be having issues taking hits in the first place, so any extra damage would probably go further
>>
File: UnarmedArchetypes.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UnarmedArchetypes.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54185034
I was thinking about that, but couldn't think of an appropriate unarmored calculation. Would 10 + wis + dex be appropriate? I didn't want to overshadow monks, since fighters have more ASIs. (Naturally, I'd be removing the "+1 when not holding anything" ability if I did give them unarmored defense).

>>54185151
Well yeah, but that's the conceit of any unarmed class, including the monk.

>>54188141
>I don't think counts-as-magic is appropriate at level 3
Why not? It's not really a buff, just a required tax feature that needs to be in place by level 7 or so. Are there any negative consequences to putting it at level 3? (I could move it, of course, I just want to keep 6 and 10 non-combat because that's how other barbarian archetypes tend to do it)

>level 10 is too ribbon
Do you feel that it is more ribbon than the Totem Barb's Commune With Nature, or the Berserker's Intimidating Presence? Barbarians tend not to get powerful things at level 10 because they get Relentless Rage at level 11, which is why I'm being cautious.

>14 is too redundant with bear hug
I agree completely on this point. My only issue with your suggestions is that they don't feel bear-like (bears DON'T grapple bigger things or use their targets as shields), and I want to maintain the bear feeling.

>Referencing the monk table
You know, I think I agree. The whole point of these archetypes is NOT multiclassing monk. I'll remove the stacking.

>one damage die throughout the game, only improving if they get a magic item
I would argue that this is the exact reason the unarmed damage die increases - to compensate for not getting improved damage from magic weapons.
If the die was static, it would either be too low at high levels, or too high at low levels (by which I mean higher than the monk's, which I strongly believe should never happen).

Thanks for the feedback!
(PDF reattached with changes)
>>
>>54189378
>>54189289
>>
>>54189173
>Goodberry is exploration cheese
>familiars are exploration cheese
>Divination, a spell that costs money to use and has increasing chances to fail, is cheese
>three spells from entirely different spell lists

>any number or charm spells
You mean like Friends, which can have near-immediate negative consequences? Or Charm Person, which can have major negative consequences within an hour? Plus any of these being cast in view of others would be highly suspect and a huge liability. And before you say "just get them alone", that would officially take it out of the "cheese" category.

>Any number of AOE damage spells or disabling spells
Since blasting has ever been good? Because it's never been good. Disabling spells are strong, but concentration can be broken and they typically always get new saves every turn, so it's hardly an I-win button.

>Fails to answer the challenge of which character can do all of these things at once, from low level
Heh.
>Most people play with infinite long rests
HA!
>if you disagree you are wrong
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>there's no way to get the old roll20 5E Shaped sheet
>have to use this hot new garbage
I'm really having difficulty seeing what the supposed improvement here is when it's slower in every way and no longer rolls twice (for advantage / disadvantage) by default, necessitating you to click buttons on and off which everyone forgets to do.

Am I seriously going to have to fork out $5 to host the old sheet
>>
>>54189303
The idea is you spend hit die at the end of a long rest to heal and you gain half of them back at the end also.
You as the DM would have to decide what happens first. So if your players spend all their hit die during a short rest you can make them either
A) have no hit die for their long rest to heal but then get them back for the next day for short rests and next nights long rest
B) Have them get hit die back first to use for their long rest and have none for the whole next day.
>>
>>54189462
i still got the old sheets on the game we play in if i can in someway help id be glad to
>>
>>54189402
>I was thinking about that, but couldn't think of an appropriate unarmored calculation. Would 10 + wis + dex be appropriate?
WIS and DEX could work, but that renders a STR brawler almost as bad as a STR monk, which doesn't make much sense. It could be a flat number plus dex like 14 + DEX or something.
>>
>>54189138

I don't impose a mechanical limit, but I have a goal of 2 short rests per 1 long rest. If 1-3 happen I'm fine with it, but if I see a 0 day or a 4 day I'm going to take it as a sign that something is off with the game and needs corrected. I've had both.
>>
>>54189444
what, precisely, do you think a familiar cannot accomplish in exploration aspects of the game?
>>
File: JlYk3zg.png (185KB, 1139x291px) Image search: [Google]
JlYk3zg.png
185KB, 1139x291px
>>54189410
This is probably a side-effect of running Red Hand of Doom back during 3.5's run, but the point is that the campaigns I, at least, try and run, will typically be on a clock, or at least have stuff going on no matter what the players do. Sure, you can take a long rest now if you really want to, but do you really have time to do that? The army of hobgoblins is 24 hours away, can you afford to spend 8 hours doing nothing?

Or basically the Gay Marriage thing. The point being that the PCs can set the pace of their adventures, but that has no effect on the pace of the story.
>>
>>54189388

Well, ideally it would be coupled with changes to reduce health yoyoing across the board. Instead of getting slapped for half your health in one round but it's fine because you have potions, and can just get it all back on a short rest anyway, I'd generally want 'being at half HP' to be a big deal that increases tension
>>
>>54189482
>that renders a STR brawler almost as bad as a STR monk
Not at all, because the STR brawler can easily wear plate armor with very few drawbacks, unlike the monk that loses several class features. In fact, the STR brawler would be less MAD than the DEX brawler in this case, albeit with a lower AC potential.

>14 + DEX
I don't know if I like this approach because it's too abusable by multiclassing (I know, you shouldn't multiclass homebrew in the first place, but I try to have my designs be refined enough so if someone chooses to allow it they don't break the game).
This leads me to think 10 + DEX + WIS is probably the best solution. Thoughts?
>>
>>54189349
Sword n' Board battlerager
>>
>>54189482
It isn't like the brawler really has any sort of magic side to it. Why not just have it still wear armor like any other kind of fighter?
>>
>>54189587
Forgot to add, PHB only with no Feats.

I'm making a full-on "no fun allowed" character I can swap to if need be.
>>
>>54189444
onomatopoeia and repetition is not an argument. I'll skip over anything in the latter two categories and address whatever substantive that remains.

>negative consequences of charm spells
Sure, if you charm someone who knows what charm is. Or you can use them creatively, charm the unsophisticated people who live and work near your target, and use them to win.

>Since blasting has ever been good? Because it's never been good. Disabling spells are strong, but concentration can be broken and they typically always get new saves every turn, so it's hardly an I-win button.

Actually, Hypnotic Pattern, a widely available spell, doesn't allow any saves after the first is failed. Also, since you're disabling enemies with the concentration spells, your risk of losing concentration goes down. And blasting has always been good.

>Fails to answer the challenge of which character can do all of these things at once, from low level

Bard, Expertise and the best spell selection in the game.

Charm wizards

Some varieties of warlock.

Generally speaking, a caster with the exact same stats/skill proficiencies as a martial will be able to out perform that martial in every respect, because they can do everything the martial can + spells. Martials are playing paper/rock, and casters are playing paper/rock/scissors.
>>
>>54189202

We don't. We stop having class vs. class discussions based on white room simulations setup to favor Wizards. OTB they're fine.
>>
>>54189590
The brawler is meant to also offer an option to those wanting to play a martial artist with a strong focus on fighting but without being a monk (the same players considering playing the Pugilist class). So it would be nice if both an armored and non-armored options were viable.
>>
>>54189552

Is "accomplishing things" cheese now?

Different anon btw
>>
>>54189576
>unlike the monk that loses several class features
The Monk loses three features, and two are irrelevant if you're choosing to use armor and weapons anyway. All that's really locked out is the Unarmored Movement bonus, and I don't think the loss of 10-15 EXTRA speed is enough to make this whole thing shit.
>>
Would you let a Half-Elf Artificer use the Rock Gnome statblock, with the following changes?
>Size- Medium
>Speed- 30 ft
>Trade Gnome Cunning for Fey Ancestry
>>
Anyone have the Season 6 password for http://www.dndadventurersleague.org/adventures/

Or is it not even up yet?
>>
>>54189617
>Sure, if you charm someone who knows what charm is.

Charm Person straight up says they know they were charmed by you. There's no if about it.
>>
THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS

my group has been on hiatus for a couple of months. the party had just "inherited" some land(+villages) and a reasonably nice house. I want to give them each a pair of free levels.

>the Ranger wanted to focus on being a reasonably effective socioeconomic leader. was an elf slave, now wants to emulate prior master.

>the Cleric is a religious/ceremonial cannibal, with no strong stated motivations. on the run from her home clan for NOT killing and eating her parents. likes tall places.

>the Druid focused Non-combat as his primary role, freely gives advice, assistance, and money to those in need of it. a Death Cultist who thinks that a good life leads to a good death.

I want to give them a few choices and let them simply have one class the get 2 levels in.(or just give them 2 levels in their chosen classes...)
>>
>>54189654
If that's the case, why is STR monk considered bad?

>>54189689
Yes, if I allowed the artificer.
The real question is why the player wants it.
>>
>>54189642
I guess, but the problem with class features like unarmed defense and improved unarmed damage is that they're counted as class features without significantly improving the actual character (instead only creating new ways to reach the same result). Putting too many features like that can kind of warp the value of an archetype. At the same time I don't think wearing light or medium armor really hurts the image of an unarmed fighter too much, but I get that it's more a matter of opinion
>>
>>54189652
no, but that anon challenged to find a spell that can trivialize the exploration aspects of the game, Find familiar can do that, because it can do all aspects of exploration, without risk to the caster. That means that with the exception of special circumstances, most parties CAN just sit back and wait until the familiar does all the work.

>>54189695
>Charm Person straight up says they know they were charmed by you. There's no if about it.
If you're clever, they may know about it, but won't be able to DO anything about it. You COULD charm the king. OR, you charm a guard, get all info you need out of him, tie him up and leave him in a ditch, and go about your merry way.
>>
>>54189711
Alchemy Bag so you can wield a shield, Mounted Combatant, and riding around your Allosaurus as power armor was my plan.

Needs a one level dip for Shield Prof. though.
>>
I asked this question last thread, but any possibility for a response was removed by the weird disconnects that were happening earlier, so I'll ask it again.

Is being able to make a temporary clone of an ally an alright final feature for a bard archetype? The clone would only really be able to cast a few spells or take the attack action once or twice before poofing away, and it's a once per rest ability
>>
>>54189557
Even in stories told with a time constraint, it is rare to see any characters deal with 6-8 combat encounters during an adventuring day.

I don't disagree that you can mitigate the issue by adding time constraints. But if DnD is meant to replicate the heroic tales of ages past, or even just tell a story, why is it balanced around a glut of combat that exceeds the normal story telling conventions and audience expectations of the human canon? It's pretty fucking video gamey if you ask me, that you're expected to fight 6-8 times a day, but even most video games let you do all your cool stuff in every battle. So I don't really get it.

Regardless of the video gamey nature of it, you can't deny that this is a fairly common problem precisely because people don't tend to play DnD5e the way it is balanced.
>>
>>54189711
Probably because when someone says "I'm a STR Monk" people assume they intend to play unarmed and unarmored.
Now, if you're a STR Monk who is getting weapon and armor proficiencies from somewhere (starting as Paladin/Fighter and MCing into Monk, Mountain Dwarf possibly taking Heavily Armored) and uses them all, that's another matter.

Strength is still a weaker stat overall than Dex but we meme all day about how Greatsword GWM is the only way to play so whatever.
>>
>>54189722
I don't disagree all that much, which is why I didn't give them unarmored defense - I figured the DEX brawlers would just wear studded leather.
But I'm not the one who wanted to play this kind of character, which is why I'm gathering community opinions.

>>54189747
No, I meant why you want to refluff a gnome as a half-elf instead of just playing a half-elf.
>>
>>54189775
>No, I meant why you want to refluff a gnome as a half-elf instead of just playing a half-elf.
maybe he literally wanted to play half an elf.
>>
>>54189708
Why would they even multiclass?
Take a look at the downtime activities UA and see what they did in this time, if they learned new tool or languages, crafted some stuff, etc.
>>
>>54189775
Because being a Gnome is the only way for an Artificer to actually, you know, artifice.

Tinker. You have proficiency with artisan's tools (tinker's tools). Using those tools, you can spend 1 hour and 10 gp worth of materials to construct a Tiny clockwork device (AC 5, 1 hp). The device ceases to function after 24 hours (unless you spend 1 hour repairing it to keep the device functioning), or when you use your action to dismantle it; at that time, you can reclaim the materials used to create it. You can have up to three such devices active at a time.
When you create a device, choose one of the following options:

Clockwork Toy. This toy is a clockwork animal, monster, or person, such as a frog, mouse, bird, dragon, or soldier. When placed on the ground, the toy moves 5 feet across the ground on each of your turns in a random direction. It makes noises as appropriate to the creature it represents.

Fire Starter. The device produces a miniature flame, which you can use to light a candle, torch, or campfire. Using the device requires your action.

Music Box. When opened, this music box plays a single song at a moderate volume. The box stops playing when it reaches the song's end or when it is closed.

Alarm. This device senses when a creature moves to within 15 feet of it without speaking aloud a password chosen when you create it. One round after a creature moves into range, the alarm makes a shrill ringing that lasts for 1 minute and can be heard from up to 300 feet away.

Calculator. This device makes doing sums easy.

Lifter. This device can be used as a block and tackle, allowing its user to hoist five times the weight the user can normally lift.

Timekeeper. This pocket watch keeps accurate time.

Weather Sensor. When used as an action, this device predicts weather conditions in a 1-mile radius over the next 4 hours, showing one symbol (clouds, sun/moon, rain, or snow) for each hour.
>>
>>54189772
Huh, I thought everyone just accepted by now that monks need DEX for AC, end of story. Maybe some people still have a 3rd-edition attitude, where they could stack WIS for AC purposes. But this was never viable in 5e so I'm not sure why they'd think that.
I DO want to avoid the STR brawler being significantly better than the DEX brawler, though. Maybe I'll make the "deflect weapon attacks" bit only work when not wearing medium or heavy armor?
>>
>>54189249
Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

As for everyone else, I basically wanted them to find the current BBEG and then for him to banish them all to Gehenna and then I would continue new plot hooks from there. That's why I wanted a spell for it. I'll probably still fudge it a little and have it be one group spell attack rather than single target.
>>
>>54189775
The best devil's advocate position I can make against armor on the brawler is that there's already so many different classes that want studded leather that it's kind of nice to throw the group a bone so to speak. I do think that the dueling fighting style doesn't apply to unarmed, and taking out armor would mean they have basically nothing to benefit from however (without just adding a note to the archetype anyway)
>>
>>54189812
If you are playing a "proper" unarmored Monk, you absolutely need both Dex and Wis to have good AC.
People here think that everyone rolls for stats and gets two 18s to dump into Dex and Wis and we're all gonna play a +Dex/Wis race so that those stats can be capped by the first ASI, though, so they're also fucking retarded.
>>
>>54189730
>OR, you charm a guard, get all info you need out of him, tie him up and leave him in a ditch, and go about your merry way.

Then someone finds him in the ditch and he tells them what your party did and everything he told you
>>
>>54189576
I meant an unarmored STR brawler, but balance-wise you're right. Maybe barb unarmored defense except you can't use shields?
>>
>>54189819
Fighting Styles is a good point. A no-weapon, no-armor fighter couldn't really use any of them. That's kind of a strong argument for armor on any brawler, except it kind of sucks to be locked into only one choice out of six based on your archetype.
Would it be bad to make Dueling apply to unarmed strikes for this archetype?
>so many different classes that want studded leather
You rarely get more than half the party on those classes, though. And if you do, I can only imagine a DM would throw more your way.

>>54189811
So really what you want is the "Tinker" ability? You can probably convince your DM to let you swap out your Skill Versatility for it or something.
>>
>>54189354

Any time frame works fine as long as you keep to an encounter rhythm of 2-S-2-S-2-L with an extra fight or two in there somewhere, anything else and the math starts going haywire. I'd avoid making a long rest an entire week because that's going to create 1 of 2 forms of havoc: either your players are working 2 days and taking 7 days off or they're having a 1 fight a day followed by a short each night. Neither is going to work so hot.

What I would do for a permanently slower-paced game is make an overnight rest equal to a short and then make my longs require taking a full day off. Resting every 3rd day isn't that onerous.

What I do in my current games is just keep "encounters" to a minimum unless they're actually in wilderness areas and award abstracted downtime days, AL-style. It was an easy sell to say "this way you can make progress on the things you want to make/learn without having to listen to each other narrate about your character reading a book."
>>
>>54189880
>assuming by the time that happens, the PCs hadn't accomplished their goal.
>>
>>54189886
He also wants dat dere +2 int I guess
>>
>>54189886
Well, that and the ASIs. CHA doesn't do much for Artificer. That's not such a big deal though since Artificer is pretty SAD, and the Servant can be the STR monkey.
>>
>>54189908
not too mention that if it happens EVERY time, you just encourage your PCs to murderhobo.
>>
>>54189885
>unarmored STR brawler
To be completely honest, if that's not viable, I'm not going to care too much. No other class in the game can be STR-based and have a good unarmored AC, and I don't feel any pressure to introduce one.
STR brawlers are very much meant to wear armor, so if that's viable if studded-leather-DEX brawlers are viable, I'd be satisfied.
>>
>>54189886
Like I said, I'm just fishing up any argument I can think of. I think there's also some sort of fighting style in a UA for aquatic adventures or something that applies to not having armor, but it's probably for the best to just say "dueling applies to this archetype" (though probably better worded than that)
>>
>>54189892
>2-S-2-S-2-L
I've tried this, it's shit. People don't want to play this way.
>>
>>54189908

>making your goals accomplishable within 1 hour
>making it so the guard instantly decides to give any and all info just because he considers you a friend

>>54189927
then the authorities bring out their mage and have him cast Speak With Dead and the same thing happens.
>>
>>54189915
Surely anon wouldn't want to refluff for munchkin reasons -
>>54189922
>>
>>54189291
Why bother? It's probably the worst piece of official content I have ever seen for D&D.
>>
>>54189953
Fair enough, and thanks for the efforts. I'll add a dueling change, and let the brawler choose between that and defense. But I think I'll leave all AC-related things alone for now, because there's no reason for them not to work properly.

>>54189972
It's not official content, friend.
>>
>>54189617
>if you charm someone who knows what charm is
No, that's completely unnecessary, explicitly in RAW.
>Or you can use them creatively, charm the unsophisticated people who live and work near your target, and use them to win
First of all, "using them creatively" firmly takes them out of the "cheese" category, as it requires creative thinking and effort. Second of all, you're making some big assumptions about what unsophisticated people who live and work near your target are actually knowledgeable about or capable of, or even that there ARE people like that nearby.
>Hypnotic Pattern
A spell that can affect teammates, is broken on damage, can be broken by their friends, and, again, is concentration which can be interrupted. I'm not saying it's a bad spell; it's a good spell, but it's not a cheesy "I win" button.
>Blasting has always been good
If you think this, you either have never actually played D&D or you don't actually know what you're talking about. Blasting has *never* been good.
>Bards
Lore bards get all of two spells not on their list before level 10. It's a popular argument tactic to act as though this grants them infinite access to the entire spell catalog, but it doesn't.
>Charm Wizards
Since when do Wizards get access to Divination or Goodberry? I thought those were two of the cheese spells?
>Some warlocks
Warlocks get two or three spell slots per short rest, with some utility Invocations or one-use Invocations. They're not going to be able to cheese combat, exploration AND social all at once. Their ability to use Rituals does give them expanded utility, I'll grant.
>A caster with the exact same stats/skill proficiencies as a martial will be able to out perform that martial in every respect, because they can do everything the martial can + spells
No, they can't this edition. There is no way for most casters to get Extra Attack, the benefits of Fighting Styles, or the tertiary abilities like Rage Damage/Superiority Dice/Divine Smite like martials.
>>
>>54189969
Considering the only two options for +2 INT are Gnome and Vhuman I don't see the big deal.
>>
>>54189730
>You charm a guard, get all info you need out of him, tie him up and leave him in a ditch, and go about your merry way.
Why exactly do you think a guard is going to have such total knowledge of the goings-on in the place he's guarding that this is a be-all-end-all solution?
>>
>>54189950
fair enough
>>
>Strength domain
>Gains druid cantrip
>Strength is now dump stat.
>>
>>54189993
>No, they can't this edition. There is no way for most casters to get Extra Attack, the benefits of Fighting Styles, or the tertiary abilities like Rage Damage/Superiority Dice/Divine Smite like martials.

Any caster with polymorph or "conjure X" spells can get access to a what is functionally extra attack and damage and scales with level to the point that they can outdamage martials. Warlocks and bards can both smite.

But more importantly, casters can make attacks, do sufficient damage with cantrips, excessive damage with blasting, all while being Objectively Better in every other aspect of the game, thanks to spells.
>>
>>54190004
It's because you shouldn't choose a race based on the stat bonuses. With bounded values, those don't matter nearly as much.
If you think half-elves are cool, play a half-elf. Shit, the floating +1s are just as good as +2 with the standard array anyway.
>>
>>54189967
>making your goals accomplishable within 1 hour
>implying guys with magic can't make someone disappear for over an hour

>making it so the guard instantly decides to give any and all info just because he considers you a friend
>there's a whole host of charm spells outside of "Friends" anon.

>then the authorities bring out their mage and have him cast Speak With Dead and the same thing happens.
burn the body, take the head. Jesus do you even murderhobo?

>>54190015
>Why exactly do you think a guard is going to have such total knowledge of the goings-on in the place he's guarding that this is a be-all-end-all solution?

Why do YOU think I meant anything other than what the PC's would need to know to get that information themselves? What a guard WOULD know would be protocols, passwords, patrol areas and rounds. All enough for PC's to replace a few guards and get close to their objective. Have you never done an infiltration mission before? SOP in my group is to systematically target the lowest person on the command chain we need to get access to what we want.
>>
File: 155567.jpg (30KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
155567.jpg
30KB, 500x281px
What does 5eg think about Artificer now that we've had months with the class? What would you change about it to make it stronger?
>>
>>54189349

If I was looking to tank I'd go SnB Dex Barb and take Path of the Totem Warrior: Bear. You're losing some synergy at level 6, although its still nice to have, but between AC, HP, and Being able to pop defensive rages you're going to be unbelievably tough, especially for a featless game.
>>
>>54190048
>sufficient damage with cantrips
>excessive damage with blasting
Either you've never played with a paladin/rogue/fighter in your party, or you're just stirring shit up. Probably the second one.

>>54190037
Not EVERYONE will pick Shillelagh.
...right?
>>
>>54189291
Fucking teases, just make PS:Ravnica (as a full fledged supplement) already, it's whet everyone's been wanting, hell do Kamigawa too and use it a beta for Kara-tur content.
>>
>>54189807
>Why would they even multiclass?
1.) I want to surprise them with some of this
>they all kind of passively informed me what they were doing
>things like the Ranger is going to pick up an animal companion.

2.) this isn't 5e but 3.5e
>I am here because D&D is still D&D and this is more a flavor choice than a mechanics choice. they're still getting 2 levels for 4 months IRL downtime.

3.) I'll look up that up for ideas
>>
>>54190077
Not everyone will press the "kill random stranger for 20 million" button either.
>>
>>54190077
>Either you've never played with a paladin/rogue/fighter in your party, or you're just stirring shit up. Probably the second one.
not that anon, but if you think even a high level smite can compare with a well placed fireball, I have some news for you.
>>
>>54189349

(cont)

If you were looking to DPR, I'd still go Totem Warrior, but take Eagle of all things, and take a Greataxe. You'll get all your strength and crit synergies plus a pseudo-mobility feat that again would be otherwise hard to come by in a featless game.
>>
>>54189444

Don't make fun of the boy, he's just telling you how it works when he's alone in his bedroom masturbating over the spell list.
>>
>>54189402
Any thoughts from helpful anons on buffing the Bear Warrior's 10th- and 14th-level abilities? (Whilst keeping the 14th-level ability focused on interaction)
>>
>>54190073
I gotta go with the same shit that's been said over and over, take out the Mechanical Servant, develop it into a full fledged path.

Make alchemist into a full fledged feature instead of a mediocre secondary spell-progression.
>>
>>54190079
I don't even know what the hell these are, but I'm for it, just because it'd be something new for 5e that isn't set in fucking Faerun already.

Also, why is the Aven's fly speed so overpowered when, 1, they can't even use it if they're wearing decent armor, and 2, literally every ranged weapon in the game bar thrown hand weapons, darts, blowguns and nets can hit them at short range?
>>
>>54190048
>Polymorph
While Polymorph is indeed a powerful spell, it is also Concentration, which means it risks simply dropping off every time you get hit, and if you look at most beast's AC, you're going to get hit a lot.
>Warlocks and Bards can both smite
Bards either only get a smite *spell* at level 10 if they are Valor for Extra Attack, or if they spend one of their much-vaunted Magical Secrets slots on a spell-smite at 6 if they're Lore and thus don't have Extra Attack. Warlocks can only Smite with a UA that arguable makes them much more of a martial half-caster than anything. Neither of these abilities is nearly as powerful as a paladin's core ability.
>Do sufficient damage with cantrips
Except for Warlocks, who are arguably not really "full casters" in the sense we're arguing about, casters don't get their stat to damage on these cantrips, and don't get the benefit of any of the secondary abilities previously mentioned (fighting style/superiority/etc).
>excessive damage with blasting
Once again, citation fucking needed. You have a *massively* inflated idea of how much damage blasting is capable of. 8d6 sounds like a lot until you realize it's all of 28 average, with an even chance of being 14.
>all while being Objectively Better in every other aspect of the game, thanks to spells.
You're begging the question. We're arguing about whether these spells ARE "objectively better"; you can't assume it's true as proof that it's true.
>>
>>54190060

at that point it's no longer cheesing and is just "using spells the way you should"
>>
Thinking of making a Blaster Bard, as dumb as that sounds. What Patron should I take?

>Warlock 3/Lore Bard X
>Pact of the Blade- instead of a weapon, using it to summon my instrument- (Using a Ghuzeng, this is about the only practical way to carry one around)
>Agonizing and Repelling Blasts

>>54190177
imo it should have
>Gunsmith archetype
>Alchemist archetype
>Robo-Master archetype
>Full Caster archetype
>>
>>54189757

Not if you confine your encounters to high-encounter areas. 6-8 fights a day isn't a bad rhythm for clearing out out a dungeon. The real problem is when every single thing that the characters do anywhere turns into an standard resource-consuming encounter.
>>
>>54190077
>Either you've never played with a paladin/rogue/fighter in your party, or you're just stirring shit up. Probably the second one.

>paladin
High single target damage. Warlocks can smite and smite more often. Can't compete with fireball against multiple targets
>rogue
Barely outdamages Eldritch Blast+CHA. Can't compete with fireball against multiple targets, or the Hex Spell in addition to Eldritch Blast+CHA.
>Fighters
Can make the highest single target damage build in the game, and probably do about as well on average as a good fireball.
>>
>>54190196
Forgot to add- I was thinking Hexblade for Shield and Curse, though I won't be using the Medium Armor/Shield due to character theme.
>>
>>54189880

Hey! It's his fap session, he can imagine it going however he wants to!
>>
>>54190196
>Pact of the Blade to summon a badass instrument
As a DM I'm completely in favor of this.
And it's not like you need the blade when you have Eldritch Blast anyway...
Take the Fey Patron if you want to be mystical and enchanting.
Take the Fiend Patron if you want to MELT LITERAL FACES WITH YOUR HEAVY METAL MUSIC.
Take GOO if you want to play music so strange and dissonant it alters reality.
>>
>>54190060
>guys with magic can't make someone disappear for over an hour
Short of killing them which spells do that, anon?
>burn the body, take the head. Jesus do you even murderhobo?
So casters are cheesy overpowered because they are overpowered in your exact, precise, specific playstyle that not everyone plays and is, in fact, a widely-derided playstyle?
>Have you never done an infiltration mission before?
Who cares? You claimed that charming guards was the solution to social encounters. Now you're arguing that it's the solution to infiltration missions. You think that replacing some guards is the solution to social encounters?
>>
>>54190257
Pity there's no way to work Otto's Irresistible Dance into this
>>
>>54190184
>You're begging the question. We're arguing about whether these spells ARE "objectively better"; you can't assume it's true as proof that it's true.
I'm not anon. This is trivially true:

A martial has 2 ways to interact with the game. It can attack or it can attempt a skill check. A caster can do both of these, plus spells. A caster can be just as good at skill checks as a martial (in fact, the caster version of the skill monkey class is better at skill checks than the martial skill monkey). A caster deals less damage attacking, but not much less, and can experience higher damage with spells. So the damage given up by not being a martial isn't really lost.

Especially in the context of the standard way people play: 1-2 encounters then a long rest, repeat, CASTERS are better. It didn't have to be this way, but the authors of 5e decided to balance their game around a way people simply don't like to play.
>>
>>54190283
Well it's a Bard spell anyways so it'll be an option once I get to that point
>>
>>54190301
Oh shit don't know why I was thinking it was off the table
>>
>>54190223
>Not if you confine your encounters to high-encounter areas.

Sure, a lot of problems disappear if you railroad your players. I banned martials, and I haven't had a problem with martial v. caster balance yet!
>>
>>54190283
>>54190301
Irresistible Dance at level 11 instead of level 10. Acceptable.
Don't forget to get Levitate.
>>
>>54190180
Ravnica is--- a Ecumenopolis, planet entirely a city, with nine/ten guilds that run every aspect of it, from the the priest/bank guild (they have litteral lifetime morgages), necro/renovation/farmer guild (their mushrooms are to die for), "totally nonexistent totally not spy/assassination guild everyone know's doesn't exist"

Kamigawa is... Japan, with spirits running amok amid oni's, tanuki's, kenkus and kirin's.
>>
>>54190326
>I banned martials
Hoo boy, the bait levels are reaching new levels
See you all in a few hours once this shitstorm calms down
>>
>>54189966

No, most people don't. What people "want" is 1 fight a day so they can blow all their cool shit every time, and if you give that to them they'll get bored by the 3rd session and you'll lose yet another game to everyone having better things to do. It's reliable enough to get you out of games you don't actually want to run.

What people need you to do is to make the system work as designed so you have an actual game to play in. Hardline that, send the twinky players over to Paizo, hang on to the non-attention whores, and you'll have a game that runs for years.

Assuming your a DM who's having this problem. If you're just a whiny player who wants more fireball slots and doesn't care about anything else, fuck off to Paizo yourself.
>>
>>54190180
>>54190345
We'll probably never get a kamigawa guide, since wizards does its best to pretend it never happened.

Which is really fucking stupid, it's one of the best settings in Magic, only tarnished by an incredibly retarded decision to make it both an extremely low power set, and a parasitic mechanic set.
>>
How many dice do I need to bring as a necromancer Wizard? How many skeletons should I bring with me?
>>
>>54190257
>not having a Ghost in the Machine patron that you serenade with chiptunes
>>
>>54190374
My game has been running for years anon, and I threw out the encounters per day guidelines years ago. Strangely enough, the game is always more fun when people get to do cool shit more than 1% of the time.

5e as designed is for people that enjoy repetitive tasks and lack creativity.
>>
>>54190093
>>I am here because D&D is still D&D and this is more a flavor choice than a mechanics choice. they're still getting 2 levels for 4 months IRL downtime.

No. Fuck off. You're wrong. The systems are different and that matters. Back to 3.PF with you.
>>
>>54190264
>Short of killing them which spells do that, anon?
stone shape
>>
>>54190471
>he angrily responds to any proposed modification of 5e in favor of another edition
>he does this in his free time
>he does this for free
>>
>>54189462
Yeah the shaped sheet was great
>>
>>54190093
This is 5eg not 3.5eg champ
>>
>>54190073
1/2 casting instead of quarter. Unique to the class spells. Ritual Casting outside of its free rituals.

Alchemist needs fleshing out instead of being all about pseudo cantrips, hell some of them could just be cantrips.

Gunsmith...seems okay, probably needs some adjustment to the math. Honestly in concept it fits with Scott Kurtz Fallen Veil setting from Table Titans.

Mechanical Servant needs to be the focus of a dedicated subclass, maybe add find steed and find familiar to the regular spell list with a few unique riders when cast as a ritual for regular artificers. Or unique versions of those spells that work differently to summon a construct familiar or steed.

Magic Items from your class features should not count against your attunement limit instead of the present extra slot system perhaps? That one is up in the air.

Wand Adept subclass, plays with the charge system, would be interesting.

Self buffing arms and armor focused Sub Class

And that's all I got for now.
>>
>>54190326

Well, no wonder you had to pile shitty idea onto shitty idea and argued yourself into a ton of corners at once. I would have thought by the time you hit "I want to give my players choices so I'm banning Fighter and Rogue" you'd have noticed you'd left the farm, but I guess you were just knee-jerk afraid of railroading yourself so you ran with it.

Well, congrats on being you. Good luck with that.
>>
>>54190048
This is a bit hard for me as a DM to rule but let's say a martial vs caster goes like this
But a player says he wants to grab a spellcaster and shove his face into mud, holding him there so he can't speak and then apply manacles to his hands. What options does the caster have?
Rule wise to me it sounds like Shove, grapple, action surge, apply manacles.
Now the spellcaster can't use any spells V,S,M. and only has a 5-10% chance of escaping the manacles depending on his stats.

This scenario is less restricting to a martial. There are spells that can avoid this scenario too but a clever martial can beat you're average spellcaster.
>>
>>54190512

Yes. As a hobby I play 5e in real life. Which is why I specifically come to a thread about playing 5e and talk about playing 5e. Which is why I belong here and you don't. Cause you don't play 5e. So unless you want to talk about 5e, get the fuck out of the thread for talking about 5e.
>>
File: 8o75678957896.jpg (153KB, 1807x802px) Image search: [Google]
8o75678957896.jpg
153KB, 1807x802px
Where do I find the second page to the pic related character sheet? The one in the treasure trove is only one page. I know there's a second page for spells and junk.
>>
Okay, I want to talk about something that might be interesting to see when the game eventually spins back around to Eberron content.

In the late days of 3.5, there was a concept dropped into Dragon Magazine called the Dragon Marked Sorcerer. They were sorcerer alternate class feature/variant class that had a Dragon Mark and added the spells from their mark to their spell list and had the various other benefits to a point of the mark.

Would a Dragon Mark Sorcerous Origin be an interesting way to get 11 different Sorcerer Origins in one? Also give us another Sorcerer what has healing spells theoretically and justify turning that one favored soul class feature into a metamagic option?
>>
Has anyone actually tried the Fighty Sorlock meme build in practice?

EB>Action Surge EB>Bonus Action EB seems nice in theory but I don't know if putting off spell progression by that much is a good idea.
>>
>>54190568
I was kidding anon. I don't actually ban martials. I said that, because it's an extreme level of railroading. Your proposed solution (everything always takes place in a warzone or a dungeon) is railroading of another type, somewhat less extreme, but just as bad.

Also not helpful to the average DM/player group that wants to tell a story outside of a dungeon/warzone.
>>
>>54190557
didn't want to start a separate general for 1 question

>>54190610
see...to me this is a thread about D&D.
so just chill out man.
>>
>>54190583
>What options does the caster have?
which caster? What level?
Cleric: depends on domain
Druid: Wildshape
Sorcerer: Subtle Spell
Warlock: Familiar
Wizard: Depends on Tradition, Divination can avoid it all together with Portent

and anyone can burst the manacles on a DC 20 Str check or slip them with a DC 20 Dex. Most casters I have seen have at least one of those stats with a positive mod.

and that's assuming that you GAVE the martials the ability to blind and silence the caster with a grapple and shove, which is not inherent to those abilities.
>>
>>54190610
People who homebrew still play 5e anon. For an edition that encourages homebrew with shit like the DMs guild, a homebrewing guide, etc, etc, you're being awfully inflexible.

>>54190583
I believe the subject is not PvP, but which group of classes brings more to the table. If it is PvP, then it just comes down to who wins the roll on initiative and who makes their saves.
>>
>>54190690
Does anyone know where it is?
>>
>>54190753
The 3.5 guys are at the pathfinder/paizo general
>>
>>54191004
I asked both no reply from /PGF/

and for stylistic choices I trust the D&D general over the Pathfinder one.
>>
Post broken/fun builds that can carry a retarded party. Our bard think of himself as a fighter, i will have to do heavy lifting.
>>
>>54190718
I havent, but I dont think it will hurt that much if you'll go seasorc goolock of cthulhu with both repelling blast and grasp of hadar. It seems like a great way of controlling the battlefield by pulling/pushing enemies while still dishing out some decent damage.
>>
>>54190815
It didn't have to be PvP, It could have been a martial player handling an NPC caster.
>>54190772
But that's D&D. There are a lot of stuff the books don't cover. If I say I want to dig a hole with my shovel, can I? There are no rules on digging? So can I not dig because there's no mechanical rule on the PHB for it. The PHB does say a player can't cast spells if gagged, no mechanical rules though for gagging so can you not gag a caster? Why say that in the PHB then? The DMG does says player will try and do stuff that aren't covered specifically by the rules and it's up to the DM to determine what should be rolled.
>>
>>54191102
There aren't really broken builds in 5e so much as builds that can use all their resources very quickly for some very high spike damage. I don't think there's really anything that could carry its own party
>>
>>54189281
Write down all of your PC's AC, passive perception and some of the shit they carry on them so that every time you roll to hit their ass you don't have to constantly ask what their AC is or anything.

Knowing some of their basic equipment gives you some better options on who would attack who. Your huge armored retard wouldn't care but your smart wizard character would want to target the enemy wizard potentially etc.

Also keep passive perception down so they don't start autistically screeching to constantly roll perception for fucking loot EVERY FUCKING ROOM.

Try to keep up with your party's spells or at least their favorite so you arent constantly asking what they do. This not only lets you meta around them a bit if they are becoming too comfortable with their favorite wombo-combos but also speeds up fights and shit.
>>
File: Sc3-lizardman-01.jpg (37KB, 305x499px) Image search: [Google]
Sc3-lizardman-01.jpg
37KB, 305x499px
I hear Moon Drood drops off pretty significantly after early game. Would you let a Moon Druid do the "Half Dragon" meme once they hit a certain level to keep up?

Kinda want to make a Lizardman Moon Druid who's goal is to become a Dragon by any means.
>>
>>54191124
High-level Mystic maybe?
>>
Are there any "evil" adventures for 5e? I don't believe there are any official but I'm asking even for dm's guild or whatnot.
>>
>>54191102
your friend may be retarded, but bards can absolutely be decent fighters.

>>54191108
>But that's D&D. There are a lot of stuff the books don't cover. If I say I want to dig a hole with my shovel, can I? There are no rules on digging? So can I not dig because there's no mechanical rule on the PHB for it. The PHB does say a player can't cast spells if gagged, no mechanical rules though for gagging so can you not gag a caster? Why say that in the PHB then? The DMG does says player will try and do stuff that aren't covered specifically by the rules and it's up to the DM to determine what should be rolled.

Yeah, but the problem is your scenario, you gave the martial something that he can't normally do, and then task the mage to counter it using only what the mage can do. Gagged the mage? Okay fine, but the mage can chew through the gag. Blindfold on the mage? Great, until the mage wipes his face across the ground, removing the blindfold. you can't assume the fighter can grapple, push down, blind and silence, and then manacle the mage and then assume the mage can't slip the manacle.
>>
>>54191145

Moon Druid doesn't fall off, it's just not quite as overwhelming after level 5.
>>
So my DM's letting me swap my Light Cleric to a Zeal Cleric from the Planeshift.

I'm wondering, with Crossbow loading it says I can only fire it once per action I use. So I can make a Normal Attack, a Haste Attack and then a Bonus Action one all in one round without Crossbow Expert right?
>>
File: crusader.jpg (230KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
crusader.jpg
230KB, 1280x905px
>>54189138
poor crusader
>>
>>54191148
Yeah i was thinking on maybe picking avatar mystic. If those fuckers wanna do damage, i could make them do actual damage.
>>54191174
Bards are cool and all. But on a party with no casters i wish he would use his awesome spells instead of rushing and trying to do melee damage. (and then spending resources to do moar damage).
>>
>>54190719

Okay, let's all take a deep breath and get back on topic, then.

In retrospect I didn't make myself clear about what I meant by "encounter." In my games lots of things happens in lots of places and players have lots of tools to handle them because when they're "in town," for any value of "in town," they're usually fully rested and surrounded by resources and reasonably helpful people trying to go about their day. Now is not the time to attempt to force the players into any sort of resource-management play, it's a good time for talking, planning, catching up with contacts, finding ways to make nice with the townsfolk, and more open-ended content. Even if they get into an altercation like stopping a robbery at a contact's store they know it's not going to be the first of 8 fights that day. It's just a different play space. I don't think of these as "encounters" and I don't plan for them cost resources in any meaningful sense of the word.

It's only once that they leave "in town" and go into "the wilderness," again for any value of town and wilderness, that resource management really comes into play. And at that point they can, and do, expect that things are going to be much more hazardous and active and they're going to have to be much more careful with when and how they use their resources. That's when 2S2S2L becomes about bare minimum for things to make sense and to create the kinds of pressures/tradeoffs that reward a balanced party that can rely on each other. Those "draining" fights are what I mean by encounters and you really need to have about 6-8 a day for the core book math to work, otherwise stuff really does get wonky.

Once they've returned to "in town," even if that just means joining a large caravan on a busy road back to where they were staying, you lose that again and have to go back to the "Big Damn Heroes" rhythm. I'd say less than 1/3 of my "regular" games and 2/3 of my "West Marches" games are under 2S2S2L, but those parts still matter.
>>
>>54190815

If you want to talk about 5e homebrew, it belongs here. Non-5e homebrew does not.
>>
>>54190753

This is not DnD General. This is 5e general. That wasn't a typo.
>>
Is there any Feats to consider for Moon Druid? Is there any way to tell if a Feat's effect will carry over to Wild Form besides common sense?
>>
>>54191317
Sentinel can be really good on them in my experience.
>>
>>54191262
That's a pretty grand homebrew. I also don't like it because it seems arbitrary to wall off the combat encounters from the noncombat encounters. What if the players decide to go full on murderhobo on the tower guard "in town". What if "in town" is also a dangerous place.

Also, you're sort of giving up the argument IMO, if 2/3rds of your regular games don't use the standard 5e encounter guidelines that you're defending.
>>
File: IMG_1329.gif (785KB, 242x182px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1329.gif
785KB, 242x182px
Right now we're taking a twenty minute break from the first session of a campaign a friend of mine just started. It's... not going good.
>Travelling with caravan through the mountains, some of us guards and some of us passengers
>Goblins attack
>Halfway through the third round of combat, NPC wizard on the caravan yells "enough" and turns all the goblins to stone
>Almost an hour of the wizard talking about his ancient order and how important his mission is to us
>Two dozen proper nouns and a sixty-year long timeline lore dump while we just stand by and nod our heads

This really doesn't bode well, does it? He's new to this but I'm trying to find a way to tactfully address this once the session is over
>>
>>54191395
ABORT! ABORT!
>>
>>54191395
>Guarding a caravan
>All-powerful NPC
>Exposition dump for an hour
What else do we need for a shitty game bingo?
>>
I wanna make a monk/warlock for adventure league exactly how terrible is this idea?

The only actual idea I have is basing it on kamen rider or something and using the first level archfey power to charm/scare people by striking a pose and monologing about how righteous I am
>>
>>54191395
Have your character ask for the cliff notes.
>>
File: top dog.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
top dog.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
I'm really interested in playing a Divination Wizard. No, I don't wanna be a halfling, I wanna do it for fun, not to aggravate the DM. Are the divination traits as cool as they seem on paper?

Also: if you roll a natural 20 with portent, it retains its natural-ness if used later, effectively being a canned critical hit, correct?
>>
File: 1494569368314.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1494569368314.gif
2MB, 460x259px
>>54191317
Does Tough apply to Wild Forms?
>>
>>54191441
be a dwarf with criminal background
>>
>>54191412
Where is the shitty game bingo card anyway?
>>
I wanna use a trident but they suck.

What do.

>>54191441

Portent can be a canned crit or if you roll shit, a canned failure for your enemies.

It's really fucking fun to play as I CAN SEE THE FUTURE man.
>>
>>54189138
Literally never. Short rests just don't happen.
>>
>>54191174
Nothing I said is something a martial can't normally do, Shoves and grapples aren't variant rules; they're standard rules. Manacles are in the PHB as well. If you're arguing about the shoving face in mud or gagging that's at least mentioned as possible and hindering of a mage.

Yes the caster has options but I'm assuming the caster doesnt have 20s across the board for his stats. Most casters priortize their ability for spellcasting. Even if the caster has max dex (Which would require sacrificing his spells) then He'd have a 25% chance to slip the manacles. He can oppose the martial who is grappling him to break free, He can try wiggle free from the gag (I'd see biting through a gag as a very difficult strength check since gags are designed not to be chewable). The caster has options depending on class abilities but martials have options too. such as disarming casters of their focus. It makes the game fun and interesting for their to be ways to counter and annoy enemies. There is no way to make the perfect PC in D&D
>>
File: ride.jpg (232KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
ride.jpg
232KB, 863x752px
>>54191395
>>
>>54191395
Tell him to fuck off and if he and his order are so powerful why does he need a bunch of L1 adventurers to take care of his shit.

Honestly you should have just stabbed him in the throat mid-speech.
>>
>>54191462
I'm torn between being a shady gambler who studied Divination magic to game the casinos and is fleeing because the House found out and is out for his kneecaps, a paranoid conspiracy theorist who studied Divination to turn the tables on the unknown entity he's convinced is watching and manipulating him, or an anxious mess who studied Divination so he could look into the future and assuage his fears of everything going terribly wrong all the time.

The gambler definitely has motivation to adventure (fugitives gotta travel, and debtors need treasure) while the crackpot's fears would be like candy for a creative DM. The last one is just me.
>>
File: burgerzilla.jpg (521KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
burgerzilla.jpg
521KB, 724x1024px
>>54191408
>>54191412
>>54191428
>tfw you've written way more than this but it's just in a text document for your players to look at if they care and if they don't oh well
>>
>>54191370

It's not really "homebrew" so much as recognizing that the game plays, and has always played, differently depending on whether you were in a tavern or a dungeon. Attending a fancy dress ball to speak with a potential employer isn't going to have 6-8 fights, so trying to "balance" it like it is would be silly. At the same time, trying to "balance" the subsequent crypt-crawl to retrieve the item as if it was a fancy dress ball is equally silly. Dangerous places are dangerous places for a reason.

If they decide to murderhobo a guard, that's not fight #1 of 8 in a standard day as professional adventurers, nor will it be balanced as such. Law Enforcement has perfected unfair fights to a degree that would make a ninja blush.

If a town isn't safe, than it isn't "in town." A town/warzone where it's reasonable to expect 6-8 fights/hazards a day is effectively a dungeon with different set dressing, and should be treated accordingly.

And finally. even if we agree it's not giving up the argument. The core books base their math around combat being 1/3 of the game so its unsurprising that combat guidelines would apply to 1/3 of the game. West Marches style gameplay dramatically drops Socialization in favor of a high-combat exploration, so it results in dramatically more combat than other play styles.
>>
>>54191417

It's a pretty terrible idea on many, many levels.
>>
>>54191395
Ignore everything the guy said and go off in a completely different direction. The DM will learn pretty quickly not to do that again.
>>
>>54191587
I like the second one for the meta-aspect. I also would imagine that casinos would be well-aware of divination magic and his scheme wouldn't have gone very far.
>>
>>54191480
What can a martial do against Wall of Force?

>surround a dwarf with a wall of force leaving him with a 3x3x4 area (you had one of the walls form a ceiling).
>spend your 9 lowest spell slots creating water in the area to fill it up (did the math)

This takes 1 minute. The dwarf now has to survive 9 minutes while drowning.
>>
>>54191660
"Oh good, you guys have it under control. Come on guys, let's fuck off back to town to find another job"
>>
>>54191667
>giving a martial a whole nine minutes to break your wall
>and some water to keep him cool and hydrated while he does it
Where did they teach you how to wizard
>>
>>54191685
See, this is why my plan for an upcoming Session 1 is to rob all the PCs at gunpoint.
Those fuckers will move heaven and earth to murder the assholes who stole their gear after that. Instant plot involvement.
>>
>>54191644
>The core books base their math around combat being 1/3 of the game so its unsurprising that combat guidelines would apply to 1/3 of the game.

This is true, but you're interpreting it incorrectly. Under your system, I still wouldn't play a martial, because I'd be guaranteed to be useless in 2/3rds of the game, while the wizard gets to cheese through that portion with unlimited resources, because he's "in town". meanwhile, the wizard is still relevant "in wilderness".

Under DnD how it's designed the social and exploration encounters take place in the same adventuring day that the 6-8 combat encounters do. So no, you can't really defend the DnD adventuring day balance when you don't use it yourself.
>>
>>54191667
I dont think you can conjure water into a wall of force if you wall the martial in.
>>
>>54191688
>breaking walls of force

Looks like Grognar failed his arcana check again.
>>
File: limmy show kilogramme.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
limmy show kilogramme.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>Allowing short rest abilities to reset per encounter, with the exception of chain encounters, with the golden rule being 5~10 mins of non-strenuous activity.
Good or bad idea?
>>
>>54191659
The only terrible part of that idea is playing in adventure league
>>
>>54191750

sounds good to me, short rests are usually consequence free unless you're on some kind of strict time limit, and also "we sat down and rested for an hour" just sounds lame narratively
>>
>>54191750
Best idea.
>>
>>54191773
>>54191791
On that note, any notable 3pp I should allow for my game?
>>
>>54191808
People like Mercer's stuff. I don't think any of it is essential, so I just let players find things they want to try.
>>
>>54191465
>I wanna use a trident but they suck.

They don't suck. They're exactly the same stats as a spear for 4 gold more, 1 pound heavier, and martial. You're giving up 1 damage on average against the 1d8 one-handed versatile martial weapons and getting the thrown keyword back for it plus it being one of the few weapons that operate underwater without penalty.

My suggestion is grab a shield and build a Gored and Board Fighter (spear/javelin) with a gladiator or nautical background and just switch the spear(s) out and put tridents in instead. It'll be slightly more expensive, but that just adds to the "I'm doing this for pure style points" aspect. You're not going to absolute max damage, but you're not going to fall super behind, either.
>>
File: asiandwarf2.jpg (50KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
asiandwarf2.jpg
50KB, 480x480px
>>54191733
You've made two critical mistakes:
You didn't leave an avenue for escape. Fucking Sun Tzu understood the importance of this a bajillion years ago; an enemy that thinks they can flee will leave themselves vulnerable in doing so, while one who sees no way out fights as desperately as they can. By completely surrounding the martial, you're basically giving him a free powerup. The protagonist always busts out some new power when all seems lost.

Second, you've forgotten who writes the spellbooks: other wizards. Of COURSE they're going to lie about what their spells do, it's only prudent. If all these wizards are going around telling people that Fireball only hits a 20 foot radius, everyone's going to space their shit 41 feet apart. That's when the wizards reveal, BOOM, Fireball hits a 25 foot radius and now you're all on fucking fire. So no shit every spell scroll of Wall of Force is going to say it's indestructible. They want you wasting your time trying to devise alternate means of escape instead of hitting it with your hammer a lot and finding out it's only got 12 AC and 150 HP.
>>
>>54191832

Well yeah, I know they aren't awful.

I should have clarified "Why are Tridents heavier, more expensive spears that add nothing?". It's just odd, especially since they're a martial and spears are simple.
>>
>>54191895
>>54191832

Spear also gets a feat that can't be used with tridents. I've never actually seen anyone take this feat, but still, it's an option spears have that tridents don't. Why make the trident a straight up downgrade to spear, I ave no idea.
>>
>>54191894
Wouldn't, according to the logic of your first paragraph, the wizards instead write that it's in fact destructible, so the trapped person wastes time trying to hit instead of doing any sort of dimensional shenanigans to escape?
>>
>>54191667
>you had one of the walls form a ceiling
But you didn't have one of the walls form a floor. The dwarf digs his way to safety then sodomizes you with your own spellcasting focus.
>>
>>54191480
>Nothing I said is something a martial can't normally do, Shoves and grapples aren't variant rules; they're standard rules. Manacles are in the PHB as well. If you're arguing about the shoving face in mud or gagging that's at least mentioned as possible and hindering of a mage.

Yes the martial CAN grapple and shove, but neither of those prevents the mage from casting, I was specifically talking about the ride-along effects you tossed in there. Technically in your scenario, the only thing the caster cannot do would be stand up. But since you, the dm, decided that there is mud there, you gave the martial extra effects and when comparing martials to casters, if you have to give the martials extra stuff just to hopefully stop the caster, you are admitting the martial doesn't actually have a chance against a caster, unless you specifically alter the rules to accommodate them. Your scenario wasn't an example of what martials "can do" it was an example of what the DM can do.

>Yes the caster has options but I'm assuming the caster doesnt have 20s across the board for his stats.
you don't need to. the meme int 8 wizard isn't just a meme. You can viably build a mage that doesn't need their casting stat. But regardless of that, like i said earlier, most casters are going to have a positive str/dex, usually dex, because they don't have to sacrifice their casting stat for it. You can start the game with at least two 15's, before race, Dex is a reasonable stat to put that other 15 in no matter what class you play.

> Even if the caster has max dex then He'd have a 25% chance to slip the manacles.
per turn/attempt

>It makes the game fun and interesting for their to be ways to counter and annoy enemies.

I'm not saying it doesn't make the game fun or more interesting, but many of the things you listed are not intrinsic to martials, it's something extra you gave them, and it's just short of saying, "oh well you're in an antimagic zone now, so martials win."

TBC
>>
File: mearls[1].jpg (35KB, 572x780px) Image search: [Google]
mearls[1].jpg
35KB, 572x780px
>>54191929
Versimiltude!

You see, I determined, through careful study of hobos given these weapons and then told to battle each other, that tridents are inferior to spears. Therefore, in my quest to make martials, and only martials, as realistic and down to earth as possible, I carefully curated and modified the weapon table to reflect this realism I now knew, instead of fun or game balance.
>>
>>54191953
But it IS destructible, which is why they wrote that it isn't.
>>
half-way through out of the abyss, about to reach the surface for the first time. gonna retire current character for plot and reasons.

give me character ideas, pretty please.

preferably nothing too gimmicky so i don't end up dragging everyone down nor getting bored of it too quickly.
>>
>>54191990
that would certainly make for an interesting setting, if impossible to adjudicate fairly.
>>
>>54191991
Lizardfolk wizard
>>
>>54191981
>mearls
But he's the all-fun-allowed guy who keeps telling people in Sage Advice to let the martials do shit that Crawford gets a bug up his ass about.
>>
>>54192009
I don't actually know which of the two is more responsible for the mess that is 5e anon, I just like posting bad pictures of them.
>>
>>54192005
I like it almost as much as I liked the misspelled spells some guy was talking about a couple weeks ago
>>
>>54192006
old char is a wizard, not to imply that i wouldn't play a wizard again... but i probably wouldn't.

there's another wizard in the party and no amount of utility mattered much in the end.

>>54191991
he would also probably start at lv7~8.
>>
>>54192047
Half-orc druid
>>
File: cromagford.png (170KB, 477x325px) Image search: [Google]
cromagford.png
170KB, 477x325px
>>54192022
>that brow
>those cheekbones
what a fucking mutant
inb4 sdgtj
>>
File: 1488315555448.png (206KB, 800x542px) Image search: [Google]
1488315555448.png
206KB, 800x542px
Would Arcane Trickster 3/Eldritch Knight (Archer) be a decent multiclass?

I find myself using Mage Hand constantly on them, so being able to do so as a Bonus Action would be nice, and the Expertise/Sneak Attack could be decent since I'd be slinging one attack and one Cantrip per turn.
>>
>>54192041
What about "Spike Growth doesn't do anything"?
>>
File: 1498787878721.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498787878721.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
can someone who makes Simulacrum be miles away and order the copy to move on their own?

can a Simulacrum copy cast Simulacrum or clone?

obviously i want to make a reoccurring villain that dies a lot
>>
>>54191979
Now don't get me wrong, I love martials. But martials really don't have many good options against casters unless you give it to them, and even then, using your own example, you probably, as a martial would have been better off attacking, then attack, then action surge and attack again and just drop the mage to 0 then attempting a grapple, a shove, and manacles, and giving the mage chances to escape.

Keeping a mage from escaping is extremely difficult. Hell in a game i was in I played an arcane trickster, long story short, the group felt i was a risk and tried to subdue me, they had to beat me unconscious, bind, gag, blindfold me, and STILL had a wizard and warlock watching me at all times with counterspells ready to make sure I didn't go anywhere. Even then, they were STILL unsure if that would be enough to hold me until they could find a more permanent solution (which ultimately failed).
>>
>>54192041
That's another interesting idea.

The wizard conjures a mighty wall of force around the barbarian, hoping to disable them completely. Unfortunately, instead of a transparent, but unbreakable, unbeatable wall, the wizard instead summoned the wall of farce. A horrifying collection of images of modern American Democracy begins floating in the air between the barbarian and the wizard

Both must now roll a sanity check.
>>
>>54192066
That's how glasses work you mongoloid
>>
>>54192067
What are you constantly using your Mage Hand in combat for?

Also casting it still takes an action.
>>
>>54192093
if they're supposed to cover up the fact that his eyes are sunken about a half inch into his skull then they're doing a pretty bad job
he must look like a real freak in profile
>hdgtj
>>
>>54192112
>pretending to be retarded is a joke
>>
>>54191720

Under actual play the wizard doesn't get any super bonuses in town that the fighter doesn't unless you're going around casting mending in hopes people will like you. Which is fine if you want to do it with your extra spell slots but it's not going to automatically succeed more often than the fighter's war stories or the rogue's sleight of hand. 5e doesn't have "make everyone like me and give me everything with no consequences" spells.

As far as your second bit, you need to read more, specifically DMG Chapter 5 "Adventure Environments" and Chapter 6 "Between Adventures." You might not like that 5e distinguishes between "adventuring in an adventure environment" and "between adventures," but it's disingenuous to claim that it doesn't.

My players like getting their exploration and interaction time in low-combat environments so I respond with big fat "betweens" and more narrowly-focused "dungeons," still following DMG guidelines of "If your adventure includes a balance of all three, it's likely to appeal to all types of players." I'm literally going by the book, which at no point says "throw an equal amount of everything into every single day in every single context marching off into the distance."
>>
>>54192103
Not constantly using it in combat often (Usually just use it to carry a torch with my hands full because I don't have Darkvision, or using it to set up caltrops/traps before combat starts without having to walk into the room), though I'd like the option to use it in combat more.

>Also casting it still takes an action.
I use it enough we just treat it as always being up anyways, since it's a non-concentration cantrip with a 1 minute timer.
>>
>>54191395
Start running because he might turn you to stone next.
Fear the wizard.

None of you have any reason to be in the presence of something like that.
>>
>>54191750
Kinda fucked up when wizards fuck around with armor of agathys and other ongoing spells and suggestion and whatever.
>>
>>54192112
all that picture proves is that his eyesight is shit

>>54192153
>5e doesn't have "make everyone like me and give me everything with no consequences" spells.
maybe not EVERYONE, but it sure as hell have some spells to make the RIGHT people give you everything with little to no consequences. Dominate/Modify Memory being two just off the top of my head.
>>
>>54192187
>not willingly being turned into stone so you can be revived in 700 years after a completely different wizard casts Stone to Flesh on antique statues he's been collecting just to see what'll happen
>>
>>54187888
Someone has to hit the aegis. That's all. It's powered by the force the aegis absorbs on impact.

>>54187988
It sounds like you want to preemptively dedicate resources to healing in combat. That's a little odd, but I won't say you shouldn't plan to lose. You're welcome to spend all your wizard's slots on healing even, if that's fun for you. Knock yourself out.

>>54189241
The problem is where that isn't all on one caster, takes too many resources to do and still handle combat, or doesn't actually work and is just a retarded meme.

>>54189289
The system works with 3 encounters in a day, if you want. And is flexible about the definition of day. Any story that has less than 3 encounters in a 'day' is more like the stories your boring aunt tells than the stories of myth and legend.

>>54189940
Now look at its definition of medium and hard and its definition of an adventure day, do remedial math, and realize it's actually 4-7 medium to hard encounters, depending on exact level, with fewer encounters the harder each encounter is.

>>54189995
It may or may not be survivable. It's still only a guideline.
>>
>>54192227
"I'LL CUT YE IN HA- oh hi, good day sir."
>>
>>54192227
>He casts stone to flesh so he can rape whatever comes to life
>>
>>54192153
>Under actual play the wizard doesn't get any super bonuses in town that the fighter doesn't unless you're going around casting mending in hopes people will like you. Which is fine if you want to do it with your extra spell slots but it's not going to automatically succeed more often than the fighter's war stories or the rogue's sleight of hand. 5e doesn't have "make everyone like me and give me everything with no consequences" spells.

The wizard can tell war stories or attempt sleight of hand while casting spells anon.

>As far as your second bit, you need to read more, specifically DMG Chapter 5 "Adventure Environments" and Chapter 6 "Between Adventures." You might not like that 5e distinguishes between "adventuring in an adventure environment" and "between adventures," but it's disingenuous to claim that it doesn't.
You need to read more dude. "between adventures" describes downtime activities, not your seduction of the governor's wife to get the key to the dungeons to free jack sparrow.

I think it's clear now that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how DnD works. Which maybe it worked out for you, but you shouldn't be giving it as advice in a thread where people want to know how to play 5e properly: Noncombat encounters are meant to consume resources. Noncombat encounters are not meant to take place in an infinite resources timespace. What you're thinking of is "downtime activity", not encounters that advance the plot through skill checks and spells.

I applaud you for homebrewing (or happy ignorance), but what you're describing is not relevant to discussion of balance, and it certainly doesn't seem like a form of homebrew I'd recommend to anyone, since it would make the caster/martial disparity even worse.
>>
>>54192248
But it requires a hostile creature to hit the aegis. It apparently doesn't work if a friendly person punches them for 0 damage, but it does if an unfriendly person does.
>>
>>54192272
>You need to read more dude. "between adventures" describes downtime activities, not your seduction of the governor's wife to get the key to the dungeons to free jack sparrow.
everyone knows jack sparrow would seduce the governer's wife himself.
>>
>>54192227
>a time-travelling Wizard has gone into the past and petrified history's greatest heroes so they can all be revived at once in the distant future to team up against some absurd threat
>>
>>54189218
>can't fathom what kind of person you'd have to be to actually pick Champion.
A high level half-orc GWM, basically. You, personally, might have to wean off of crpg-style hotkeys and epic combos before you can appreciate improvising again though.
>>
>>54192308
The threat: a future version of the time-traveling wizard who has become evil
>>
>>54191895

They're really intended for the Entertainer Background's Gladiator variant as a weapon that would be entertainingly exotic and the decision was made to give them combat-ready underlying stats, as well. They've also used them in a lot of aquatic settings as well.

>>54191929

That is also a good point. My only guess is that they felt making a Trident less appealing would keep it rarer and thus more exotic, but I'm not sure that was a good idea in light of how they tried to make the rest of the weapon list all crunch and no fluff.
>>
>>54189218
>I can't fathom what kind of person you'd have to be to actually pick Champion.

5e's target audience desu, if the martial changes in the playtest are anything to go by.
>>
>>54192308
>>54192328
Would play as a High Level campaign.
>>
>>54192248
>The system works with 3 encounters in a day, if you want. And is flexible about the definition of day. Any story that has less than 3 encounters in a 'day' is more like the stories your boring aunt tells than the stories of myth and legend.

I'm trying to think of a story that could be reasonably merged into DnD 5e's adventuring day guidelines if you stretch the "day" definition to any arbitrary period of rest.

Only ones I can think of are James Bond type movies, where the hero gets a bunch of one use gadgets at the beginning that he cycles through until the adventure is over.

If only 5e combat was as interesting as a james bond film's gunplay, I don't think I'd have any issues with it.
>>
>>54189402
>to compensate for not getting improved damage from magic weapons.
There's no way to do that fairly in the class though. There's no standard amount of extra damage from magic weapons, and there's precedent for magic items that work like magic weapons for unarmed attacks. Balance a mundane brawler with a mundane fighter, and if a GM will give out a +1 sword but not a +1 insignia of claws (or amulet of mighty fists), call him a faggot or something.

Counts-as-magic isn't ever really required in the same sense, though there's at least some spells that work on weapons and not unarmed attacks, for that.
>>
>>54192218

Dominate is a 5th-level spell that buys you 60 seconds and is dependent on the charmed condition, and doesn't offer a free mind-blank. Modify Memory is also a 5th-lvl, and it specifically points out that it most likely will not result in any behavior change. It's also permanently dispellable with a 3rd-level spell. They're good spells, but they're not great, and they're no "I win" button and injudicious usage is more likely to cause more problems than it solves.
>>
Too strong for a level 6 player?

Sunwing
+1 dagger if thrown
Deals an additional 1d4 radiant damage
You can call it back to your hand as a bonus action but cannot be thrown again until the start of your next turn
>>
>>54189615
Just play a wizard if there's no feats. Martials without feats and flanking in 5e are fucking garbage.
>>
File: 1484185431979.jpg (76KB, 460x550px) Image search: [Google]
1484185431979.jpg
76KB, 460x550px
>>54192086
so i'm assuming a simulacrum copy CAN cast simulacrum so long as the original wizard puts more of his hair and fingernails into the snow pile. the thing is, that second simulacrum copy will have half the HP of the first simulacrum copy, and so on until you get to a number that can't be halved.

a simulacrum copy casting clone is impossible because it has no flesh

the simulacrum being ordered to move on it's own seems arguable, it doesn't say in the RAW that it can't.
>>
>>54189469
The idea is that you spend several days of downtime if you want to heal naturally, but can still use all your spell slots every day. It's like gritty realism, but only for HP (so not very realistic). Makes the game more like the versions where all your healing came from your cleric's spell slots. It nerfs having good hit dice.
>>
>>54192492
I'm making one character of every class with PHB only no Feats so I can pick any one I want if it ever comes up. Yes I know it's autistic.
>>
>>54192467
yes, but they/you said:
>5e doesn't have "make everyone like me and give me everything with no consequences" spells.
Which is false, those two spells, combined, can make someone "like you" and give you everything, with no consequences as you erase all memory of the event taking place.
>>
>>54189552
It doesn't have as good of skills as a PC scout, and doors can be a little tricky. It's expendable, but then it can only scout within its share senses range.
>>
>>54192548
>but then it can only scout within its share senses range.
no, you can only see at that distance, it can still scout much further and come back and give you the details, just like any other party member.
>>
>>54192558
with the upside of if it dies, you can just resummon it and have it tell you what killed it.
>>
>>54189642
I think just having a heavy armored str option and a light armored dex option is good enough, personally. It's basically the disarming fighter.
>>
The standard point buy is 27 points.
If I'm ditching racial attributes, how high should this be boosted to compensate? 32? 34?
Assume that 16 on creation is permissible and costs +3.
>>
>>54192272

"Chapter 6: Between Adventures

A Campaign is much more than a series of
adventures. It also includes the moments
between them-the various distractions and
side pursuits that engage the characters
when they're not exploring the wilderness ,
plundering dungeons , and gallivanting
around the multiverse on some epic quest."

I don't care if you don't like it. If it's necessary to your sanity to assume that I, on my own, completely mis-understood how the system authors intended it to play, tested it in the largest single playtest of all time, and wrote it up in a series of best-selling books and have accidentally came up with something all by myself that works great whereas you carefully studied the same materials made by the same people with the same resources, accurately understood their meaning, and thus mastered their system only to discover that it fails miserably; I don't know how to fix that for you.

But I can pity you, and I do.
>>
>>54189730
>you charm a guard, get all info you need out of him, tie him up
You let your friends do some kinky things.
>>
>>54192623

Critcal Role thread for those interested to discuss it there without bothering people here
>>
A question for my fellow DM's: one of my players has been talking about crafting his own spells, like the ice version of Fireball, for instance. Is there any Unearthed Arcana, homebrew, or advice out there on that particular front?
>>
>>54192636
that's where the Role-Play kicks in.
>>
>>54192597
>>
>>54189880
>Shove guard's dead body into a demiplane or some shit
>Convenient magic detectives show up and say 'you killed this guard'
Your DM is shit if the wizard isn't getting away with shit.
>>
>>54192687
Or, just disintegrate anybody you're done with.
Or pretty sure there are low level solutions, too.
>>
>>54192730
>Or pretty sure there are low level solutions, too.
stone shape
kill them then stuff their body into a big ass rock.
>>
>>54192761
Leomund's secret chest could work too.
>>
>>54192730
>>54192761
Repeatedly cast Infestation or Create Bonfire.
>>
>>54192808
Or acid splash.
>>
>>54192647
DMG pg 283 discusses creating a spell.
But it just talks about making sure spells don't go against class identity
Don't let cantrip heals
It gives damage advice for the spell's level

If you're looking for advice on "What must a player do to create a new spell" then I have no idea. I don't a cold version of fireball would be anything too strong, just be careful that you don't make a spell so strong that it becomes the only thing the player casts.
>>
>>54189234
Then actually BE THE DM YOU MASSIVE ENTITLED FAGGOT.
>>
>>54190288
I was going to rebut this, but since you can't manage even the slightest hint of story arcs, I'll let your failures stand.
>A caster deals less damage attacking, but not much less
What is your definition of 'not much' when we're talking about less than half the damage?
>>
>>54189234
>we have to keep our own copy of it open to make sure he runs the traps and encounters correctly
No, Anon, you are the demons.
>>
Why is Master of Myriad Forms a 15th level invocation, when you can get Mask of Many Faces at level 2?

It's only a level 2 spell, and while it's rad is it really 13 levels more rad?
>>
How do I make a PDF with just one of the subclasses so I can print it easily? The one I'm choosing extends partially from one page, and ends partially on the third so there's a lot of information that I don't need about other classes.

Copy/Pasting doesn't work I learned.
>>
Which one is the correct version, the Arcane Archer from Revised Subclasses or the Arcane Archer from UA: Fighter?
>>
Is wall of fire worth it as a red dragon sorc? It takes conc and im on DESIGNATED HASTE DUTY so idk if it would be worth. Theres also Greater Invis, Polymorph and TK which seem better in the same spell slot
>>
>>54192980
hmm...now i am no rocket surgeon, but I think maybe the REVISED one, may be newer than the NOT REVISED one...
>>
>>54192948
You could argue it's not even better. It takes concentration, while disguise self doesn't.
>>
>>54192617
>side pursuits and distractions
Are you seriously treating anything outside of combat as a side pursuit or distraction anon?

>>54192950
Use 5e tools to copy/paste the things you want into a word document, and save as a pdf.
>>
>>54191667
I don't think you know what the word flat means.
>>
>>54193034
5e tools doesn't have the updated Arcane Archer so it's useless to me.
>>
I'm running CoS. It says to do the card reading before running the adventure. Do I do this while prepping or do I do it in front of the players?
>>
>>54193096
However you are comfortable. If you have the tables open to describe things as you do it (if you have the cards that helps with atmosphere)

You can do it before hand and then play up the theatrics of the reading without doing it in front of them. Or do it live.

Whatever you can manage.
>>
>>54193093
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Fighter,Arcane%20Archer%20%28Revised%20UA%29

?
>>
>>54193128
Still doesn't include all the information, like Magic Arrow????
>>
>>54193159
christ man, it's like two pages on info, can you seriously not manage it without some sort of tool to help you?
>>
>>54193180
I just want to know how to take the current PDF and edit out the extraneous information, is that really that hard to do?

Also copying that information and saving it as a PDF from a word document doesn't even fucking work.
>>
>>54193188
download gimp and crop shit out.
>>
>>54193031
Also, by fifteenth level a wizard could cast it something like fifteen times. At-willing it isn't really that spicy by then. Why not make it a ninth level invocation, like the other 2nd level spells?
>>
>>54193188
the Print Screen button and MS Paint
>>
How to not hog all the table combat time as necromancer? What kind of thing do you guys do to make the game go smoother as a necromancer?
>>
>>54193493
Plan ahead and roll my dice quickly. How many undead are we talking here?
>>
>>54193493
not be a necromancer.

or you know, don't be a dickhole with 500 minions.
>>
>>54193493
Have all actions pre-planned. Have enough d20s to roll your die at the same time.
>>
How would you go about building a character that fights using bees? Lots of small bees, one big bees, a few medium sized bees, doesn't matter.

I just want to fight with bees.
>>
>>54193537
i would be a druid and cast the bee summoning spell, then i would stop asking stupid questions on /tg/
>>
>>54193493
Don't be a necromancer
Have one tough thing rather than 50 weak things
>>
>>54192571
That takes over an hour, costs money, and you have to know it does and isn't just still out of range.
>>
>>54193537
>moon druid
>refluff every beast as a different type of bee
>shapeshift into and conjure refluffed beasts
>>
>>54193525
That's what I want to know. Should I bring just 4 Skeletons with me and treat them as killable spiritual weapon or should I just spam Animate Dead everyday?
>>
>>54193493
Be a cleric. Magic initiate for Find Familiar, refluff your familiar as a little skelly. Have fun skelly shenanigans.
Spiritual Weapon? Nope it's a ghost doing ghost things.
Spirit Guardians? Army of undead.
Continue to taste. Less upkeep, more havoc.
>>
>>54193537
>>54193580
refluff Wizard might be better. Magic Missile is Bee missile. Fireball is Bee Ball.
>>
File: Cazador.png (266KB, 800x492px) Image search: [Google]
Cazador.png
266KB, 800x492px
>>54193580

>giant, vicious bees

STOP
>>
>>54193493

I recently played a necromancer. First time playing a Wizard. Was a horrid experience (really bad DM), but as far as actually using your minions go, divide and conquer my friend. My largest group was 8 skeletons, so I divided them into two groups. 4d20 for one group, 4d20 for the other. Alternatively, you could just roll 1d20 x 4. One miss equals four misses. Just try and give yourself shortcuts for combat. Make your movements simply and easy.
>>
>>54193569
>That takes over an hour,
So? It's a scouting mission, you got all the fucking time in the world, in most cases

>costs money
This is 5e, what are you going to spend your gold on? and it's 10 gold for gods sakes, my group spends more than that on pretend handjobs

> and you have to know it does and isn't just still out of range.
tell it to be back within X hours, after that time, dismiss it and resummon
>>
>>54193493
Group them, make them into one entity or use them outside of combat. i.e. they fight something else off-screen, guard your back or whatever.
>>
File: Bee O Face.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Bee O Face.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>54193601

>Bee Ball

Gonna empty my bee ball all over y'all.
>>
>>54193544
That's not enough though. The whole character has to be bees. Not just one spell.

>>54193580
>>54193601
>>54193602
These are much better.
>>
What is the best Gish and why is it Warlock 3 (CHAllelagh)/Paladin X?
>>
>>54192166

You don't actually get to do anything with it, though, with 3 levels of Arcane Trickster.

Even if you did, it'd be in competition with your Crossbow Expert Bonus Action attack.

Also, why are you even an Eldritch Knight Archer? You're working against EKs two biggest features: their enormous AC through Shield and their ability to use Reactions for the SCAG cantrips through Warcaster, as well as delaying the Fighter power spikes at 5th and 11th.

Why not just play an Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>54193619
>It's a scouting mission, you got all the fucking time in the world, in most cases
I'm gonna do the polite thing and give you privacy while you masturbate.
>>
>>54193660
But its paladin 2 sorcerer x
>>
>>54193652
I want to see a Bee Pact Warlock. Swear your fealty to the Ur-Bee, She-Who-Polinated-The-World, The Stripes That Circle The Sky. Be the drone with which she will sting the gods.
>>
>>54192558
So what is the point of arcane eye?
>>
>>54193660
Cause big dick smite crits are fun and you get a bunch that way.
>>
>>54193660
Because Paladin is the best gish and Tomelock patches up their few holes.

Paladin + Sorc is way burstier, though. Twinned Booming Blade, Quickened Green-Flame Blade, Sorcerer spells and slots, natural flight at 14th...
>>
>>54193693
>So what is the point of arcane eye?
to have a familiar that exchanges any ability to interact with the environment for the bonus of being invisible.
>>
>>54193728
nigga you seem to be forgetting that imps are invisible
>>
>>54193728
with the downside of only being good for an hour.

>>54193740
not all casters get imp familiars
>>
One with Shadows invocation plus Stealthy feat. Useful, or just slow sneaking?
>>
>>54193728
I can just use invisibility on a bat
>>
>>54193715
Which combo is easier to shoehorn a story together for though?
>>
>>54193763
you could, and that would be far more economical than using arcane eye. I don't think anyone is arguing that there aren't some really shitty spells.
>>
Can I make a GOO Warlock effective without Eldritch Blast spam? By this I mean not take Agonizing Blast so I can use the Invocation on other stuff and maybe using Booming Blade as my main damage source.
>>
If I'm running Death House, do I still do the cardreading before the adventure begins?
>>
>>54193831
no
>>
>>54193768

Well, it depends.

If you're starting at level 3 then they're about the same. Paladin with draconic ancestry slash affinity for magic, or Paladin favored by a Fey. Or Vengeance Paladin with a Fiend pact. They're all very natural.

If you're starting level 1, though, it gets a bit more complicated depending on how anal your DM is about what Paladins as a class are or that you need to roleplay finding and making a contract with a patron. If the DM agrees that Paladins are simply mage-y warriors, then there shouldn't be much impediment for a Sorc to take a couple levels in it - they don't even get to the Oath part of the class - but otherwise I think it's easier for Tomelock by way of saying that they've had their Patron as a benefactor all along, and are simply being rewarded when they take levels in Warlock.
>>
>PC's check notice board outside tavern
>little girl went exploring inna woods after being told not to
>hasn't been seen in 3 days
What happened to her /tg/?
>>
>>54193866
Fey.

(Sent by the Ur-Bee)
>>
>>54193860
I was going with Paladin raised to serve the Fey court, Archfey 3/Ancients X.
>>
>>54193866
fell down a well, her dog was eaten by goblins
>>
>>54193866
She broke her ankle and was eaten by a pack of wolves.
>>
>>54193866

>Charmed by a hag.
>Abducted by fairies.
>Imprisoned by a green dragon.
>Taken in by friendly firbolgs and nursed back to health.
>>
File: alchemy.jpg (135KB, 913x921px) Image search: [Google]
alchemy.jpg
135KB, 913x921px
I asked this last night but I fell asleep before I noticed whether or not anyone replied to me so I guess I'll ask again.

I've heard artificer isn't a very good class so I'm looking for an alternative that could work for a brewmaster/battle chef sort of character? I don't really care about playstyle much as long as it fits the theme well.

Artificer seemed perfect but I really have no desire to play one if I'm going to feel useless the entire time I'm playing.
>>
>>54193866
Struck by lightning 4 times. 100% nonmagical. When they show up they find the local Evil Necromancer just as baffled as the PCs are about the statistical chances of such a thing happening.
>>
>>54193852
Should I do it after death house?
>>
>>54193907
The Firbolgs are actually hags, who sent fairies to abduct her because they are imprisoned by a dragon and the hags want to sacrifice her for the power to escape. But it only works with a healthy sacrifice.
>>
>>54193931
you should do it when they get their tarot read.
>>
>>54193884
Should work just fine.

Starting paladin gives you more HP and heavy armor proficiency.
>>
File: 1351142556591.jpg (19KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
1351142556591.jpg
19KB, 400x280px
>>54193934
>>
>>54193860
Does Vengeance paladin make sense with any other patrons? I feel like making pacts with fiends is a little too far the down the rabbit hole for troubled good guy/dark hero.
>>
>>54193934
The little girl they have is actually a Doppleganger looking to steal the Hags power during the ritual
>>
>>54194010
The dragon knows this. The Doppleganger is an agent of the dragon, sent to crush the wills of the Hags and leave them resigned to their servitude when their spell fails.
>>
File: vampire_hunter_d_by_f_e_r_r_a_n.jpg (176KB, 765x1182px) Image search: [Google]
vampire_hunter_d_by_f_e_r_r_a_n.jpg
176KB, 765x1182px
What are some good puzzles and riddles for a Vampire's Keep?
>>
>>54194008
It's supposed to be a Faust/Mephistopheles type deal I think
>>
New thread:

>>54194108
>>54194108
>>54194108
>>
What are some Warlock meme builds?

Hard mode- it has to be at least 75% Warlock levels, literally everything I can think of is just Warlock 3/something else X
>>
>>54194130
>Hard mode- it has to be at least 75% Warlock levels, literally everything I can think of is just Warlock 3/something else X
that's because warlock is like ranch dressing, goes great with everything but you don't normally want to drink a whole bottle of it.
>>
>>54193938
But aren't I supposed to do an initial one before running it?
>>
File: 1491119861053.png (378KB, 1013x984px) Image search: [Google]
1491119861053.png
378KB, 1013x984px
>>54193602
We have to go further.
>>
>>54193912
it's a class that could be great depending on how much your DM lets you do with your tool proficiencies

also, the class is getting a revision in the next few weeks, maybe even next week, because they are going to be made Adventure League legal and such.
>>
File: 1423433301698.png (59KB, 316x312px) Image search: [Google]
1423433301698.png
59KB, 316x312px
>>54193918
You fucker, how dare you make me laugh at something that dumb.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.