[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 428
Thread images: 48

File: 1490038172317.png (38KB, 866x820px) Image search: [Google]
1490038172317.png
38KB, 866x820px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b
Are these even still valid? if not should probably remove them

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on 5e General:
>>54157787

Have you ever managed to find anything actually good in the cesspool that is dandwiki?
>>
Reminder to talk to your players/DM and READ THE BOOKS before asking stupid questions.
>>
>>54170473
>Have you ever managed to find anything actually good in the cesspool that is dandwiki?
My people tell a story.
Once upon a time, there was a man who fell ill. The only cure, said the doctor, involved eating pork.
Concerned, the man's wife went to the rabbi. "Rabbi," she asked, "is my husband allowed to eat pork to save his life?"
"Of course," said the rabbi. "Life precedes all rules. Tell your husband I will pray for him."
Relieved, the sick man's wife went to place an order with the butcher, who promised her he would have a pig acquired, slaughtered and delivered to her by the end of the week.
When the pig arrived, however, the butcher realized he was not sure what rules to follow when butchering it, so he went to the rabbi. "Rabbi," he said, "shall I observe kosher rules as I slaughter this pig?"
The rabbi smirked and shook his head. "I permitted the eating of this pig," he said, "but let's not pretend there is holiness to be found in the unholy."
>>
>>54170729
>My people
>>
>>54170729
So the rabbi is dandwiki, and the butcher is Gary Gygax?

A moving tale.
>>
>>54170816
The pork is dandwiki, and the rabbi is common sense. You can choose to engage with the inherently shitty, and sometimes it's inevitable, but don't pretend any part of it isn't shit.

>>54170780
Wait until this anon finds out I'm also a millennial.
>>
File: 1497543459588.png (5KB, 246x237px) Image search: [Google]
1497543459588.png
5KB, 246x237px
>>54170473
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lead_Face_(5e_Race)
>>
File: 1495997941341.png (104KB, 316x442px) Image search: [Google]
1495997941341.png
104KB, 316x442px
>>54170473
>mfw the DM says I can pick races from dandwiki
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/McChicken_(5e_Race)
>>
>>54170921
>>54170974
why would you do this to us?
>>
>>54170921
See, at least this one is probably self-aware and is meant to be a joke.
>>
>>54170921
>I got a picture of John Cena and just made some small color changes and replaced his head with an AK-47
I see
>>
I recall seeing an Awakened Zombie from dandwiki that seemed "decently" balanced, essentially just a Half Orc with a "you don't need to breathe, eat, or sleep" ribbon.
>>
File: 1498834612382.gif (3MB, 321x250px) Image search: [Google]
1498834612382.gif
3MB, 321x250px
>>54170974
>>
File: heim.jpg (23KB, 330x335px) Image search: [Google]
heim.jpg
23KB, 330x335px
Can males also be called witches in English?
>>
>>54171250
yes.
>>
>>54171250
Common perception for witches involves hag-like appearances, pointy hats, and women only, but historically yes, men can also be witches.
>>
>>54171250
Generally speaking a male Witch is a Warlock, though in d&d Warlock seems to be the general term for either gender while (IIRC) Witch is usually related specifically to Hags.
>>
>>54171250
No, nobody here calls another bloke a witch
>>
>>54171250
Technically sort-of, but it would sound very strange. The whole history of the word "witch" is wrapped up with wise women existing outside of male power structures (Christian church, etc.).
Male "witches" typically use the word "warlock" instead, since that word no longer really means anything else.
>>
>>54171250
technically and traditionally yes

it's uncommon today though
>>
>>54171293
>Male "witches" typically use the word "warlock" instead, since that word no longer really means anything else.
of course that falls apart somewhat due to Warlocks being a very specific thing in 5e. It all really depends on whether locals in your game would make any distinction from one type of spellcaster to another.

Would your average commoner know and be able to distinguish the differences between a Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Witch, or Mage? Or would they all fall under a broad blanket term?
>>
Now I want to make a trap witch. Thanks /5eg/.
>>
>>54171435

anytime, anon
>>
>>54170473
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Backgrounds
>>
>>54171535
>Check the first thing on the list
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Actual_Criminal_(5e_Background)
lel
>>
How do I give my campaign/setting a feeling of adventure and wonder? It's a sky pirates setting and I don't want my players feeling grim all the time (because that's what happened in the last table I was a player in). How do I do this?
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf

HOL UP
>>
New Plane Shift article is finally out, in the form of Amonkhet: http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf

We got Aven (bird-headed people), Khenra (jackal-people), Sheep-Head Minotaurs, and Nagas (cobra-headed tail-legged snake-people) for new races, and four new Cleric Domains; Solidarity, Strength, Ambition and Zeal.
>>
>>54171250
Normally I'd call them warlocks, but since warlock is a class in d&d just calling a guy "witch" works well enough.
>>
File: gatekeeping_rpg_roodit.png (60KB, 540x530px) Image search: [Google]
gatekeeping_rpg_roodit.png
60KB, 540x530px
>reminder that if you don't allow access to electronic dice rollers, you are a gatekeeper
>spending 2 dollars on dice is too much, but 500 on the latest iPhone isn't
>reminder that if you don't use 5e as a vehicle to get as many new players into the hobby as possible, RPGs will die out just like they did several times in the 1980s and literally no one played them
>>
File: 1381310784747.jpg (128KB, 700x992px) Image search: [Google]
1381310784747.jpg
128KB, 700x992px
>>54171284
>>54171287
>>54171293
>>54171308
I asked because the word for witch in my language is pretty gender-neutral. In English, however, "witch" refers more (at least to me) to either old hags or druidic/shamanic pagan sorcerers, while "warlock" seems to be more related to traditional mages and alchemists or even necromancers and practitioners of Ars Goetia.
>>
>>54171648
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf

>a bunch of new races for snowflakes to play
>new cleric domains
>a bunch of fluff copied from Wizards' designated worldbuilding autist
>"refer to page X of the monster manual for this creature"
>only 3 actual stat blocks

What a bunch of lazy fucks. At least it was free. When they release a Mirrodin pdf, an actually-foreign setting that would require quite a bit of content, and stat out the Myr and eventually the Phyrexians, then I will have a wet dream. Fuck, I'd actually pay for that.
>>
>>54171602
Tfw they added April Fools stuff into the serious part of the wiki.
>>
File: Aven.png (40KB, 296x241px) Image search: [Google]
Aven.png
40KB, 296x241px
>>54171630
>>54171648
>+2 DEX and +2 WIS
>Flying speed of 30 ft.
>No disadvantage at long range with ranged attacks

This seems way too stong
>>
So since celestial patron is a thing, which makes more sense between it and fey lord for an Oath of Ancients Paladin multiclass?
>>
>>54171630
>>54171648
TL;DR: the races suck less than usual, and the cleric domains are usable, which means this is probably the best plane shift yet for people not intending to actually play in the MTG setting.
>>54171725
There's no need to be upset just because they didn't add your favorite world. (Admittedly, also my favorite)
>>
File: 1378387981435.jpg (68KB, 786x558px) Image search: [Google]
1378387981435.jpg
68KB, 786x558px
How do I make the absolute best grappler? A barbarian/rogue multiclass? A monk? A bard?
>>
>>54171778
It may seem strong, but the only thing this is really good for is rangers who use ranged weapons with a short range. Or monks, I guess.

>>54171602
I need more like this. I love it.
>>
>>54171813
A Pugilist/Rogue Multiclass if Homebrew is an option. They have a class specific for grappling,

A Barbarian/Rogue is also good.
>>
>>54171800
>There's no need to be upset just because they didn't add your favorite world. (Admittedly, also my favorite)
Except both times they have conveniently picked worlds that had already-made content (i.e. Innistraad and its vamps and werewolves). They hardly had to do any work. It was just an already-existent lore-dump and already-existent art. Honestly I could have made the crunch in that PDF in a single afternoon, by myself.
>>
>>54171854
Stop shilling shit homebrew
>>
>>54171685
>he doesn't play dnd with just a fair coin and remembers all his character details in his head
>>
>>54171778
In comparison the aarakocra had +2 Dex, +1 Wis, Fly speed 50 and a D4 Slashing unarmed strike option, and that was it.

I'm more shocked by the Sheep-Head Minotaurs, which are literally Half-Orcs with a D6 + Str bonus Unarmed Strike option.

Or the Nagas... well, okay, I'm not so sure they're overpowered.
>>
File: C9_QAonV0AIpPV4.jpg large.jpg (183KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
C9_QAonV0AIpPV4.jpg large.jpg
183KB, 1200x1600px
>>54171854
how good is the rasslin?
>>
>>54171919
I'd rassle with her.
>>
>>54171864
This is basically just a side-project for Wyatt. It's not official work for WotC as far as I understand. The whole point is that the lore already exists and he's homebrewing up rules for it.
>>
>>54170234
Or you could use the DMG variant where you strip them of most weapon proficiences in exchange for monk's unarmored defense.
>>
>>54170729
I thought this was the leadup to a joke
>>
File: The Squared Circle.png (987KB, 508x1066px) Image search: [Google]
The Squared Circle.png
987KB, 508x1066px
>>54171919
You tell me.
>>
>>54171919
Doesn't matter, seeing as it's homebrew and overpowered homebrew at that (like the monk, except better damage! And better ki! And constitution bonus to AC!).
So no good DM will allow it. Stick to barbarian/rogue with athletics expertise.
>>
>>54172030
Jewish humor isn't typically "ha-ha" funny, it's "oh, I see what you did there! It's clever!" funny. And many "jokes," like this one, are also meant as allegories.
>>
File: 1440556529661.jpg (66KB, 612x574px) Image search: [Google]
1440556529661.jpg
66KB, 612x574px
>>54172088
Will barb rogue let me suplex people to death?

I want to see the fear in their eyes as they get locked up and slammed
>>
>>54172088
>Better Damage
Yes, your point?
>Better Ki
How? You have less of it, making it easier to burn it all if you're not careful.
>Constitution Bonus to AC
Monks get wisdom and dex, they are more defensive than these guys.

I allow it, several others here allow it as well.
No need to insult a DM for giving their players more options by calling them lesser.
>>
>>54172176
>How? You have less of it, making it easier to burn it all if you're not careful.

>What is Bloodied but Unbowed
>>
>>54172172
No ruleset will let you do flavored meme shit unless you refluff it, and then any ruleset will let you do it.

>>54172176
>Better damage
No class should have better unarmed damage than the monk. Period. That's like having a class with more sneak attack damage than the rogue.
>You have less of it
>when you are reduced to less than half of your maximum hit points you gain your pugilist
level + your Constitution modifier in temporary hit points and regain all expended moxie points.
Yeah, I actually read the document, so you can't lie to me about its contents.
>Monks get wisdom and dex
Yes, but if they didn't need to they'd get neither. Meanwhile, every melee class wants constitution. You shouldn't be able to have good attacks, defense, and health with only 2 stats - show me literally any other class that has this.
>>
>>54171813
Pugilist is just a worse barbarogue that exists 'because I want to punch things but not be a monk'
Be a strength barbarogue. Use two shortswords, drop a shortsword if you want to grapple.

I wouldn't build solely for grappling, but a strength barbarogue with two shortswords works fine for both grappling and not grappling.
>>
>>54172220
>>54172241
>Better Damage
I have always seen the monk as a more defensive option than an offensive one. I can live with these people having more damage.
>You have less of it
Ah! I forgot about that ability.
>Monks get wisdom and dex
Barbarians get pretty high defensive options, attacks, and health with STR and CON. Monks get more AC, better saves, and more mobility. Pugilist have more damage, better hp, and less mobility than the monk. I feel it takes up a good spot between the two.
>>
>>54172088
>Overpowered
What is?
It's just a shit version of barbarogue that doesn't need to exist but only exists for flavour reasons.

If you can show it has better grapples or damage or whatever than barbarian then sure, but I don't remember it having that.
>>
>>54172361
>I have always seen...
It doesn't matter. You should never make a class that exceeds an existing class at one of its core features. Period.
>Barbarians
Barbarians don't get AC from CON unless they use DEX instead of STR, which isn't typically viable for them.

Of course, the real case against this pugilist is that 99% of it can be accomplished with an archetype or two and some fluff changes to the existing monk class, the way 5e intended.
>>
>>54172404
It has nothing to do with barbarogues. It's a near-clone of the monk, except it's stronger in melee (and supposedly "less mobile"). The rasslin archetype could easily have been created for monks instead.
>>
>>54172446
>Clone of monk
>Doesn't get 1 ki stuns
>>
>>54172416
I'm not who you're responding to, but I think it would have been better as an archetype for barbarian or fighter that just has unarmed attacks in there, but either way I agree with you that it really didn't didn't need to be its own class
>>
>>54172484
>It doesn't get one thing other class does, so it's totally different!
>>
>>54172497
>It doesn't get Monk's key feature that practically defines why Monk is good, but it's really just a better Monk!
>>
>>54172492
Sure, you could have a barb/fighter archetype that gives some monk abilities (along the same veins as EK giving sorcerer abilities).
Actually, that sounds super cool and I want to see if I could make it. A weaponless fighter and a feral unarmed barbarian.
>>
>>54172497
>>54172529
>My class has sneak attack, cunning action, and uncanny dodge. But it doesn't have expertise so it's not a rogue clone at all!
>>
>>54172566
>Expertise
>Anywhere near as important to rogue as Monk's stunning fist is to monk
>>
Did wizards fix martials yet?
>>
>>54172581
without expertise the rogue is just a mediocre fighter
>>
>>54172589
>Did wizards fix martials yet?
They fixed when 4th ed. was released
>>
what's the stupidest build that works?

no homebrew/splatbooks
>>
File: Pugilist vs Monk.png (103KB, 1332x606px) Image search: [Google]
Pugilist vs Monk.png
103KB, 1332x606px
>>54172416
>You should never make a class that exceeds an existing class's core features.
It's on average a 1 point difference. The monks have better battlefield control than these guys do, a monk can impose stun a major element of their combat abilities, they also have ranged options and some non-combat options.

>The alternatives
For some people that is not enough or does not hit the sweet spot, they are looking for. Thus this third party class exists for those interested.
>>
>>54172134
I thought jewish humor was "What's the deal with airline food? badowdowdowdowda"
>>
Alright, for the sake of things, I've reread pugilist.

>Fisticuffs
Your bonus action attacks have +1 damage over monk, but your normal attacks do just as much damage. Big fucking wow. You can use your bonus action grapple instead, but you could use your normal action to grapple instead as a monk anyway.
>Iron Chin
You have.. Even worse AC than the monk. Wow. Of course there's multiclass abuse but you shouldn't homebrew multiclass.
>Moxie
Basically like ki but without stunning fist.
>Bloodied but unbowed
This is pretty okay on a short rest but you don't get to choose when to use it and it could be potentially wasted.
>Haymakers
Get disadvantage in return for +3.5 damage! Wow! It's fucking nothing! It's a GWM except you get only 1/3 of the damage bonus!
>The squared circle
You're still worse at grappling than a barbarogue. Suck it up, boy.
>Sweet Science
Spend your points to survive a bit longer in order to do your fucking nothing your class does. Let me remind you, your class has no reason for being alive other than being a monk without its stuns or a barbarogue with less damage, worse grappling, having a harder time surviving and - .. Yeah, it's shit, so who cares if you stay alive longer and get a reaction attack?

I seriously don't get how this tops monk (level x stuns every short rest) or barbarogue (tankier, better at grapples, does more damage)

Yes, it's a monk clone with barbarian flavour, but it's hardly overpowered in the slightest.
>>
>>54172686
But then they broke them again with 5e. I'm just wondering if UA has fixed it again.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 154x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 154x168px
Anyone got a good dungeon, jungle themed preferred but I can reflavor, that I can use for Saturday? I have 3 2nd level characters.
>>
>>54172748
>But then they broke them again with 5e
No, they didn't
>>
>>54172775
Do you even play? Martials are super boring again.
>>
>>54172834
>Do you even play?
Since Next days

>>54172834
>Martials are super boring again.
For you
>>
>>54172861
please name one thing a martial class can do that a bard can't in some way do better.
>>
File: Judge-Death_03.jpg (1MB, 1058x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Judge-Death_03.jpg
1MB, 1058x1500px
How's this sound as a one-sentence campaign summary?

>Primus, in his infinite wisdom, has realized something- Chaos is created by living things, and Order exists in a perfect state if there's nobody alive to fuck it up.
>>
>>54172896
Deal single-target damage.
>>
>>54172921
Bard learns polymorph, thus it can outdamage the martial at nearly all levels afterwards while having more effective hit points.

Also, polymorphing is more interesting than "well DM, I'm going to hit the guy with my sword again and then end my turn".
>>
>>54172896
All the at-wills.
Grappling, single target damage, area damage, etc.

The bard can do all of these better, but they can't do it all day long.
Martials can do these all the time without resources.

The problem then is that games often have enough rests that this part of martials doesn't matter.
>>
what do you all consider the best way for a lore wizard who isn't necessarily concerned with morality to cast warding bond? like something involving a familiar maybe is what I was thinking but I was curious what someone else might come up with
>>
>>54172949
Assuming limited resources, martials can just barely beat the bard in the one category of single target damage. But as you said, the game rarely pans out that way, because nobody plays that way.

Also, again, the bard player is going to accomplish his damage in a more mechanically and thematically interesting way than the martial, who will just attack over and over and over and over again, so that all combat turns are the same: extremely boring.
>>
>>54172709
When I refer to "Jewish humor" I mean the oral tradition of humor that developed in the diaspora. This tradition influenced modern Jewish comedians but is not represented by them.
>>
>>54172948
>Bard learns polymorph, thus it can outdamage the martial
You are wrong though, and bards don't have infinite slots too

It's okay, you don't need to like martials, it's a matter of taste

>polymorphing is more interesting
In your opinion, some people will disagree
>>
>>54172918
Shit. Entropy needs no man to happen.
>>
>>54173071
>In your opinion, some people will disagree

Yeah, those people can play champion fighters. That doesn't mean all martials have to be tailored to their low energy states of being.
>>
File: OH SHIT BUTTON.png (185KB, 339x576px) Image search: [Google]
OH SHIT BUTTON.png
185KB, 339x576px
How do this seen for a new class? The idea is that it is an "OH SHIT KILL EVERYTHING BUTTON" but with the risk of losing control of your character for a while.
And in general what is the opinion of player losing control of their characters?
>>
>>54173131
There are a lot of typos, but based on what I can understand, I would never play it.
>>
>>54173089
precisely that's why the BBEG is wrong and needs to be stopped
>>
>>54173131
It looks like some sort of DARK UNCONTROLLABLE POWER thing that was re-purposed to be more open ended, but I can't think of a lot of reasons why a good deity would hijack your body for a month. For a lot of thematic reasons I don't like this, but either way I think 30 days of a player not being in control of their character is pretty much the least fun thing imaginable. If they just died at least the player could make a new character and would have something to do
>>
>>54172918
That's a shit motivation. Even if he was correct about order/chaos, there's the logical problem of order having no value if there is nobody to value it. Anyone with "infinite wisdom" would not make such an obvious logical error.
>>
>>54173222
Doesn't matter if there's nobody to admire it, there's perfect order.

You don't really get the whole Modron species mindset, do you?
>>
>>54173273
Do you?
>>
I want to use a few int saving throws in my game.

Does inflicting madness require an int saving throw or is it wisdom?

Anyone ever homebrew a cursed item or disease that required an int saving throw?
>>
>>54171725
The phyrexians can all be represented with existing statblocks from the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide.
>>
>>54173273
I'm not sure you do. Primus is all about protecting Modron life, and your campaign summary would require that he kill it. Moreover, modrons think that whatever happens had to happen. It seems odd that they would suddenly change their mind and think that life (including their own) was a mistake, when in fact, it was an inescapable conclusion of the logic underlying the universe.
>>
Is there a way in 5e to open a portal to the plane of Mechanus?
>>
>>54173438
Gate.
>>
>>54173438
Gate?
>>
>>54172992
>Barely beat
It's hardly 'barely beat' assuming the martials actually build themself properly, considering you're assuming the bard does things properly.

But I'll agree that it doesn't beat them enough for it to be worthwhile.
>>
It seems it's time for another all-nighter designing a dungeon.
Thanks insomnia.
>>
>>54173718
Your players will appreciate your illness.

>>54173438
Gate!
>>
1) do you need both hands free to cast a somatic spell, or just one?

2) if i'm wielding a two-handed weapon (e.g. a maul), could i hold it one handed while i cast a somatic spell? (the assumption is that two hands are needed to /attack/ with it)

3) Would the War Caster feat allow somatic spellcasting with a two-handed weapon if such an action isn't allowed already?
>>
Does anybody have this week's 17-20 mod for AL? Crypt of the Death Giants is the name eI think.
>>
>>54173991
One
Yes
>>
>>54173991
1) Only one or the same hand you use a material component with.
2) Yes.
>>
>>54172918
Plot twist- Primus is actually Orcus wearing a Graucho Marx disguise. Again. He's done this before.
>>
>>54172918
Yeah, no, all the PCs will think they're a retard for suggesting that the very culimation of 'order in the midst of chaos' is chaotic.
>>
Since the new Plane Shift has made me think... /tg/, in all your wisdom, would overhearing the following in a tavern if you choose to listen to local gossip make the game count as magical realm?

"You hear 'bout Lord High Muckety-muck? Really don't like that his precious heir came back from his adventures with a minotaur wife. Word is that he tried to scare 'em into giving it up by setting some toughs on them - the blushing bride 'eadbutted the first of 'em so hard she crushed his skull like an egg, then grabbed another and used 'im like a club to beat the other toughs what couldn't get away to death."
>>
>>54174136
>tfw filtering "magical realm" only filters threads, not posts
>>
>>54174136
I would just think it was stupid. Who in their right mind would want to sex up a cow? Zeus notwithstanding
>>
Any premade shit with dungeons that have mechanical stuff in them?
Like clockwork robots and other relatively advanced tech?
>>
>>54174167
there are dudes in our world that fuck cars, you really think a minotaur waifu is out of the question?
>>
>>54174136
Not really.
>>
>>54174167
Probably the same people that think centaurs make good waifus, but with less self esteem, so they go for the fatties.

In any case, minotaurs and centaurs are both terrible waifus, easily the worst monster girls.
>>
How shit is the Tome of Beasts?
>>
File: bug pillar.jpg (118KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
bug pillar.jpg
118KB, 720x960px
Anyone have any art for giant insects, preferably giant mosquitoes. I'm planning on having my party deal with a local infestation harrying a nearby town and the insects vary from tiny swarms or medium dog-sized insects.
>>
>>54174501
It introduces a lot of monsters with unique mechanics.
Some cool legendary monsters like the best king.

The biggest problem is they followed the DMG CR guide so monsters have higher hp than norm.
>>
>>54174167
>Zeus notwithstanding
You did say "in their right mind", so he wasn't an example anyway.
>>
GOO warlock where the patron is heavily implied to be the player himself (i.e., me) -- good or shit idea?
>>
>>54174816
Meta breaking cool, but could be obnoxious for the DM/other players.
>>
>>54174816
If you do it, know that your other players will be talking about you behind your back, just like their counterparts in game are about your counterpart in game.
>>
Making a siege monster. Does this seem decent or is it too far of a range?

Multiattack- [name pending] makes 5 Force Blasts or Claw attacks
>Siege Blast
>1d10+5 Force damage, 200/1000 ft range
>Siege Claw
>2d6+6 Bludgeoning Damage

>Siege Engine- This creature deals double damage against objects and structures, in addition it makes long ranged attacks against objects and structures without disadvantage

Based it off a real life Trebuchet's range, roughly 300M, or 980ft., however I know real life ranges aren't always practical for d&d.
>>
>>54174966
Forgot to change the first Force Blast to Siege but you get the idea
>>
>>54170473
Whats my best option a up close fighting 'war' sorcerer?
>>
>>54175002
Sorcerer specifically?

Stone Sorcerer
>>
Why do you guys hate dandwiki?
>>
>>54174966
What level of player are you throwing this thing up against is an important question. Does it have a high AC, does it have 1000 hp, things like that are also important. If it has those attacks, but has 1 hp and 1 AC, the answer changes drastically.
>>
>>54175002
Stone or Dragon, depends on if you want to be STR or DEX.

Your at-will damage (GFB/BB) is kinda crap, but by using Quicken/Twin and Buff spells you can demolish shit.
>>
A cleric must "pray and mediate" to prepare spells. A wizard must "study her spellbook" to prepare spells. If a cleric or wizard is woken and captured (hands bound, no access to spellbook etc) immediately after a long rest, can they prepare spells? Presumably the cleric can medidate and pray without use of his hands, but is the wizard SOL? Does he have the same spells prepared as yesterday or is he just useless?
>>
>>54175002
Paladin-sorcerer multiclass
>>
File: 5c1.png (146KB, 677x315px) Image search: [Google]
5c1.png
146KB, 677x315px
>>54175060
Go and see for yourself.

We will not send a rescue party after you.
>>
>>54175068
hte PHB says "You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest," so I would think a wizard unable to prepare new spells is stuck with yesterdays. Not sure about a cleric.
>>
>>54175060
Because it's generally superior to UA, needing only a little more refinement while having vastly better ideas. It makes me bitter.
>>
>>54175068
They keep the same spells as yesterday. Nothing says they don't, I believe the praying/studying is for changing spells prepared.
>>
>>54175068
The Wizard will have the same spells as yesterday. People don't pay much attention to it but it requires 1 minute per spell level, per spell to change spells after a rest.

When you think about it that can add up to 1-2 hours at higher levels to change spells.
>>
>>54175090
I'm looking at it right now. So it's a bunch of homebrew, what of it? Sure some of the shit here is stupid but cmon it's not something to write home about.

>>54175108
Now you're just pulling my leg.
>>
How would you go about statting a tiefling fighter 1/fiend bladelock 5?
STR or DEX? What are some good invocations?
>>
>>54175060
Because everything on there is overpowered trash that no DM would allow, or flaccid weaksauce trash because people are afraid of making overpowered trash.
>>
File: wEfpY7U.gif (992KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
wEfpY7U.gif
992KB, 250x250px
>>54175108
>Because it's generally superior to UA
>>
>>54175108
Yeah, sure, maybe 1 in every 1000th post is like that, barely.

>>54175141
When people look up 5e stuff, they end up on dand wiki.
And it gives them the impression that this homebrew shit is okay.
And it's not. It's all poorly balanced, doesn't add anything to the game or just plain stupid.
>>
Does anybody know what size the storm king's thunder maps are supposed to be in Roll20?
>>
Me and my friend are going to be playing Khenra from the new planeshift, and are wondering. As twins what are the best class choices for us?

I'm planning to go for a GWM Hunter Ranger, he's got no clue. I'm open to other suggestions for my guy though.
>>
>>54175141
Just like this website, open access to anyone means a whole lot of shit gets put up for every edible morsel.
>>
>>54175160
Alright, that's all I needed to hear.
>>
>>54175060
There is very little apparent curation and posted brews are very often wildly unbalanced. Eventually, it becomes easier to write off the whole site instead of trying to sift through the muck.

>>54175121
I believe preparing spells used to take 10 minutes per spell level per spell. Expeditions took a LOT of preparation back then, as did downtime activity involving magic.
>>
>>54175060
If it was just a shitty collection of homebrew I really wouldn't mind it, but that name makes it sound a little too official and every once and a while some new player makes the mistake of thinking they can use stuff from there and I have to waste the time explaining how horrible what they found is
>>
>>54175174
Yeah, people sometimes mistake it for official content and/or ask their DM about stuff from it or use it when trying to homebrew something themselves.
>>
>>54175158
>>54175160
>>54175141
Look, I know it's unfit to play in a game, but so is UA. If both mearls and the retards who write for danddwiki are going to give me class options that are unfit to play, at least the retards make it interesting.

Mearls just releases the same shit every update: "once per long rest you can do something uninteresting that really should be a result of roleplaying, unless you're a wizard in which case have all the power"
>>
>>54175062
Still haven't decided on a CR to make it just yet because it's a rather situational fight- individually it's probably a CR 9 or so creature, but it's specifically a CR2 fight due to allied soldiers, siege equipment the PCs can use, the fact that it'll use 4 of its attacks per turn to blast at the fortress wall if it can (thus ignoring downed PCs entirely), and ample Full Cover.
>>
>>54175060
The name

A wiki shouldn't be full of homebrew stuff, a new person is going to go to this place and say "hey this is a wiki so it has to be true" and not know anything better
>>
>>54175224
At the point where you're using DnDwiki you're better off just making your own shit up.
>>
>>54175237
If they have all that stuff then it doesn't matter much. A group of PCs with a castle full of soldier and supplies could take dragons down.
>>
>>54175224
What about classes that got considerably more powerful and diverse options people like to ignore? Shadow Sorcerer? Zealot Barbarian? Raven Warlock? Primeval Guardian? Those are all good, well designed ones that offer a serious boost to mechanical power while also being flavorful with fluff abilities.
>>
>>54175224
There's some UA I dislike such as the paladin ones, but honestly I think your opinion is unfounded.

I'd say about 50% of the UA content is acceptable and about 1% of the dand wiki content is acceptable, but it's kinda hard to prove that unless you want to argue about a large range of UA and dand wiki shit, but I guess you could try to provide examples anyway.
>>
>>54175224
meanwhile, in dnd wiki, you see 5e homebrew using terms such as minor actions, swift actions, free actions, using double dis/advantage, disregarding the bounded accuracy or a whole host of other mechanics that outright ignore the design philosophy of the game resulting in confusing new players and supporting bad habits in old players and gms.

and that's when you find homebrew that is actually functional. I've seen homebrew posted that doesn't even manage to do what it wants to do, with abilities that reference missing abilities, or contradict other abilities within the same class.
>>
>>54175224
You realize Mearls releases shit as part of a continued playtest, and is working on a refined and balanced version? Whereas dandwiki is all final versions while still being shit?

>>54175284
Zealot Barbarian was basically the best thing in any UA. I really hope it makes it into the official splatbook.

>>54175286
I wouldn't mind seeing some examples. I've literally seen maybe 1 or 2 good things on dandwiki, ever.
>>
>>54175275
Yeah I'm just thinking I should properly stat it out for the future, as they'll possibly go from "scripted boss fight" to "actual boss fight" to "(significantly) stronger mooks"
>>
>>54175312
>Zealot Barbarian was basically the best thing in any UA. I really hope it makes it into the official splatbook.
I agree. I don't think people realised that the aura literally gave them higher average damage output then all other classes.

Also the free revive ability let the Barbarian basically do suicidal "Hold my beer" moments without being a considerable risk to the party's safety.
>>
>>54175284
>Shadow Sorcerer? Zealot Barbarian? Raven Warlock? Primeval Guardian?
I hope that all of these will be on XGE

When will Xanathar's be released btw?
>>
>>54175284
of the ones you listed, the only one I would consider both "okay for play" and "interesting" is raven warlock. Zealot Barb doesn't fix any of the issues related to the barbarian class, has extreme balance issues with the aura, and has some of the same issues as the berserker. Shadow Sorcerer is far too powerful at the levels people most play, Primeval Guardian just flat sucks. All in all, mearls relies too much on unimpressive passive effects in his design, or extremely unimpressive "one use per rest" type effects, most of which are also extremely limited in creative applications.

>>54175312
>You realize Mearls releases shit as part of a continued playtest, and is working on a refined and balanced version? Whereas dandwiki is all final versions while still being shit?

Are you sure about that? The nature of a wiki is that anyone can edit it, including the original author. They may very well be rough drafts, and they're certainly better templates to make something usable with yourself.
>>
>>54175353
>I don't think people realised that the aura literally gave them higher average damage output then all other classes.
The aura can hit allies though
>>
>>54175385
I'm guessing the next UA is going to be Artificer 2.0 and Mystic 3.0 (or whatever its at now), since supposedly they're going to make them UA legal, then after that Xanathars with both of them.
>>
>>54175435
>Zealot Barb doesn't fix any of the issues related to the barbarian class
But barbarians are fine
>>
>>54175463
you forgot your ";*)"
>>
>>54175437
Which is why you ran head first into a crowd of enemies and avoided allies. What do you think those free revives are for?

>>54175435
>Zealot Barb
Barbarians are fine. Fighters have issues but Barbarians are alright.
>Shadow Sorcerer
Is a powerful subclass on a weak ass class. Personally I think the level 1 abilities are exactly the level a Sorcerer's should be, the higher level abilities do have some issues though.
>Primeval Guaridan
How does it suck? It's a defensive Ranger that gets a fair pile of Temp HP every turn and controls the battle field with it's slowing aura and reach capabilities.
>>
>>54175488
I didn't though
>>
>>54175322
Five attacks is kind of extreme for any creature. That's the equivalent to a level 20 fighter's damage output. At a range far surpassing most magical means of retaliation.
>>
>>54175523
barbs are probably the worst class in the game, unless you're playing an all combat murderhobo sim. In which case that's great, but you aren't playing DnD, which is supposed to be about equal parts combat, exploration, and social interaction.

So I challenge you to justify playing a barbarian, without referencing damage in any way.
>>
>>54175576
The ability to brute strength past environmental encounters with rage, be sneakier then a Fighter or Paladin because of a lack of armour, avoid traps and other hazards when going first thanks to ADV on Dex Saves and run faster then other people for chasing and quick escapes.

Most subclasses get an ability that also helps out of combat. Totem can track, brute force or see even better then most. Berserker can intimidate people well. Ancestor can scout with their eye and etc.

Now can you please tell me how that's the worst class in the game when Fighter core has literally nothing for out of combat?
>>
>>54175576
Totem Warrior is a fantastic explorer:
>Talking to animals
>Talking to nature
>Greater carrying capacity
>Go-Go Gadget Telescopic Vision
>>
>>54175644
>brute strength past environmental encounters with rage.

You gain advantage, and have to use a resource more limited than spell slots to do so. Rogues can gain expertise, and later reliable talent, and be even better, more often. Any class with spell access can use spells more often than you can rage to get past environmental hazards.

>be sneakier then a Fighter or Paladin because of a lack of armour

These classes can take their armor off, and place it in a bag of holding, to be retrieved later.

>avoid traps and other hazards when going first thanks to ADV on Dex Saves and run faster then other people for chasing and quick escapes.

I'd rather have any class with cantrips for dealing with traps, and a dedicated spotter, which the barbarian can't help with. Going first more often is good. faster speed is good.

>Most subclasses get an ability that also helps out of combat.
This is true for most classes as well.

>fighter
Fighter subclasses are better, and you can get spells with it.

Don't get me wrong, the fighter has it's own problems (in the bottom 3 for sure), but barb has much more serious issues.
>>
>>54175570
That's true. I could probavly tone the damage down to 1d6 per attack but add more damage to structures via something like "always deals max damage and doubled" (Because castle keep walls have AC 25 DR 15 so it needs to be able to deal at least that much)
>>
Give me battlemapping software. Everything I've looked at sucks. Pyromancer, Dungeowhatever, MapTools; you name it, it's all trash. Where's the real mapping software I've been waiting for?
>>
>it's a martials hate episode
Why these people are still here? Just go play another game
>>
>>54175868
Sure, it's "Adobe Photoshop".
*Artistic skill not included
>>
>>54175875
Have you told your supervisor that you're advising people play games other than WotC products? This has to be off script, even for dealing with valid complaints.
>>
>>54175921
>Have you told your supervisor that you're advising people play games other than WotC products? This has to be off script, even for dealing with valid complaints.
what?
>>
>>54175921
The vast majority of 5e players don't think the martial/caster problem is big enough in 5e to warrant whining about.
If you want to whine about it, you don't have to play another game but please post about it elsewhere. We haven't had a good bait thread in a few hours; why don't you go make one?
>>
>>54175943
He's doing that thing that /pol/ does when people disagree with them and they call someone a shill, only since no one else is backing him up it comes off as weird and desperate
>>
>>54175921
Are you autistic? You sound autistic.
The problems aren't as exaggerated as the autists would have you believe.
>>
>>54175959
>>54175943
>>54175986
Wait, do you... do you do it for free? Ha!

Anyways, I don't know what vast majority you've found. In my experience with these threads and playgroups so far, people recognize the problem, but avoid it by not playing martials. Which is a working solution, but not something that should last, especially when we get regular playtesting updates in the form of Unearthed Arcana.

Also, it should be telling that just by mentioning a single subpar martial class, one guy got hyper defensive and assumed every martial class was being hated on.
>>
>Want to multiclass battlemaster with mastermind for a full warlord experience
>You can only sneak attack with a finese weapon
>Pretty much locked to rapiers
Reeeee, I just want a flail.
>>
>>54176094
just ignore the restrictions. The weapons table is one of the weakpoints of 5e, and it won't hurt anything if you sneak attack with whatever you want.
>>
>>54176113
>just ignore the restrictions
Say this to my DM. He does refluff all rapiers to longswords, though, but that's because he has an autistic hatred of rapiers.
>>
>>54176094
Step 1- use a Rapier
Step 2- say it's a Flail
Step 3- ???
Step 4- Profit
>>
>>54176148
well shit man, you've got the worst kind of 5e dm, the kind who obeys the rules of 5e.

Ask him to do it, if he says no, ask him what he's worried about.
>>
>>54176149
>I just want to use it for fluff reasons!
>Ok so just call X, Y
>THAT'S NOT THE SAME! REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
careful with these types, anon.
>>
>>54176149
go with me on this guys
what if you made a flail
but with rapiers for spikes
>>
>>54176182
I mean itd be one thing if it was saying a dagger is a greatsword but a Rapier is literally a Flail with Finesse and a different damage type.
>but muh finesse
Nowhere does it say he actually needs to USE the finesse, he can STR wield a rapier and be identical to a Flail.
>>
>>54176204
It'd probably get bent out of shape pretty fast. I'd use daggers for spikes.
>>
>>54176221
you'd be surprised just how autistic people here can be.
>>
>>54176204
That's almost a haiku

Go with me on this:
Guys, what if you made a flail
Rapiers for spikes
>>
>>54176113
>>54176094
Even if your DM's the type that goes "wah you can't sneak attack with a greatsword that's to powerful", any 1d8 weapon should be valid since that's what the most powerful Finesse thing does. So Sneak with flails, longswords, quarterstaves (no PAM), warhammers, versatile spears, whatever.
>>
>>54176221
5e players don't do well with options that they don't have to use. That's literally the reason martial die were scrapped as a fighter wide mechanic and made limited for the battlemaster, because some players complained that having an optional feature tickled their autism too much. They wanted simpler combat, but couldn't stand to leave options on the table and just hit things in their game of pretend, they had to have the options taken off the table completely.
>>
>>54171648
>Aven
Some balance issues about flying... but I guess they could be common enough in the setting for people to have obvious counters to them. Also flying creatures.

>Khenra
Alright, these a the coolest designed race I've seen in a while. the fluff the comes from the Twin aspect seems like it will pretty much always lead to good roleplay.

>Minotaur
Half-Orc with a 1d6 unarmed attack... I can't complain. Half-Orc was honestly not that good so I'd have no issue letting someone use this over the old Minotaur.

>Naga
This... this is odd. I like it in a way. Seems very unique but kinda hard to build around, good Mystics, Eldritch Knights and maybe Monks I guess? Maybe the poison damage on their bite is enough to make up for shit stats.
>>
>>54176221
>Nowhere does it say he actually needs to USE the finesse

>>54176257
A beautiful flail
But the spikes, they are rapiers
Blood drips to the ground
>>
Since you guys seem so interested, would you even say if battlemastermind is a good idea?
>>
>>54170473
>Have you ever managed to find anything actually good in the cesspool that is dandwiki?

I found a homebrew since a player of mine wanted to play a samurai weeb, I ended up finding the funniest, most insanely broken homebrew I've ever found: http://archive.fo/mY2QT

Enjoy!
>>
>>54176327
Battlemaster works with anything that physically hits shit, provided you're willing to put off your other class features for 3-4 levels.
>>
>>54176327
About the same as all Fighter/Rogues. Just instead of Swashbuckler powers you can give an ally Advantage.

It'd work fantastic in a party with another Rogue or an Artificer.
>>
>>54176351
>Level 1: As an action, you can empower you call on the power of Amatsu-Kami to empower your sword with the power of the heavens. Attack a fiend or undead with a divine ray of light, and they must succeed a strength saving throw equal to 25 minus their challenge rating. If their challenge rating is 25 or above, then subtract their challenge rating from 40, and they use dexterity instead of strength. If your opponent rolls a natural 20 on the saving throw, then you drop to 1 hit point and you are incapacitated for 2 turns.

What? What the fuck does this even do other then pose a giant risk to yourself?
>>
File: dogu2.jpg (47KB, 304x384px) Image search: [Google]
dogu2.jpg
47KB, 304x384px
>>54176351
>Level 1: You can use parry as a reaction when you or someone within 5 ft of you are getting attacked. When you do you makes a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If you fail you take half of the damage. If you succeed the attacker gets thrown of balance, and can now be attacked at an advantage. At level 10 you can hit the enemy right after parrying without having to do a hit roll.
>>
File: RefluffingApparently.png (32KB, 701x713px) Image search: [Google]
RefluffingApparently.png
32KB, 701x713px
>>54176204
>>54176257
>>54176310
I made you a picture
>>
>>54176310
Not having to actually use finesse is at the center of the whole barbarian/rogue multiclass thing
>>
>>54176395
>somebody actually took the time to type that up and thought it was a good idea
>>
File: imperius another armor shot.png (1MB, 1900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
imperius another armor shot.png
1MB, 1900x1200px
So I'm planning to give my paladin a set of power armor, which would work like full plate until the party completes the quest to find the powercores for it and the talking halberd and charge them up. Then they'll get some really good buffs. For that they would have to go into a number of dungeons that are actually wrecks of human space battleships. There they will find a plasma rifle for the ranger and a tech-suit for the cleric.
Players still haven't figured out the fact that the setting is sci-fi.
Any ideas on how to improve the idea and what should I add/change?
>>
>>54176424
But if it's there, I have to use it!
>>
>>54176395
The retard that wrote it probably thinks Natural 20 on Skill Checks and Saving Throws is different from a 19 + 1
>>
>>54176447
One of the spaceship AIs becomes a Ghost in the Machine Patron for a PC.
>>
How do you organize background music for your campaign, if at all?
>>
>>54176477
That's actually a really fucking rad idea, thanks
>>
>>54176395
When I first saw it I must have read it at least 10 times trying to understand it. I'm almost sure the 10 year old who just watched Naruto for the first time forgot to finish the ability.
>>54176416
That ones funny, my personal favorites are

>Level 9: When you draw your blade, anything that can see you must make a dc 15 intelligence saving throw to not get shaken. At level 18 the saving throw is at a disadvantage and if they fail the become frightened and if they suceed they become shaken.

and

>Level 8: You as a master of stealth you don't attract any attention if you don't do something incredibly noticeable.

Basically invisible and everyone needs to make a save upon seeing the MIGHTY POWER OF THE KATANA, THE GREATEST WEAPON EVER MADE
>>
>>54176351
>Level 14: Your katana is basically an extension of your own body, and as such it you now get 5D8 extra damage on any attack made with it.
Of course it's a katana
>>
First time DM here. Any general tips on running the game? How much prep is too much prep?
>>
>>54176484
I just pick appropriate themes for the zone (usually from WoW). But usually it's Endless Legend music on repeat.
>>
>>54176351
>Level 7: Because of your perilous training you become able to sense danger acutely. You gain 50 ft of blindsight, and you are able to hear things double as clearly as anyone else.

>Level 10: As you keep training your body your Con, Str, and Dex stat cap increases to 30 and you gain 4 points in all. Your Movement speed also increases by 30.
>>
>>54176351
I almost stopped reading, but then I saw the level 10 feature that raised the ability score cap to 30 and gives +4 in strength, con, and dex at level 10. Jesus Christ
>>
>>54176477
I agree with >>54176495
>>
File: 1471950520884.png (61KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
1471950520884.png
61KB, 200x193px
>>54176523
>and you are able to hear things double as clearly as anyone else.
My fucking sides.
>>
>>54176503
If I'm basically invisible at level 8, how will anybody be able to see me draw my katana at level 9?
>>
>>54171911

For a grappling build, Naga are huge. Normally you can make an unarmed attack or a grappling attempt but not both, it requires a contested roll to succeed, and to impose restrained you have to have the feat and win a second contested roll and even then it imposes restrained on both of you.

Naga give up the ability to grapple a second target and get for that a damage attack that automatically imposes grappled, automatically imposes restrained, and doesn't restrain the grappler, basically letting them take 3 simultaneous action and skip a feat entirely to get to a state no other grappler can even get to. That pretty much elevates them to the best grapplers in the game automatically.

Whether that plus the other racials equal out is another thing. My personal guess is that it's slightly underpowered on non-grappling builds.
>>
>>54176513
One-two pages in Word is enough prep. It mostly depends on the players, because they can waste a lot of time on pointless shit. They wasted three sessions on a single chapter which was supposed to be fast as fuck. But hey, at least they got tons of character interactions.
>>
>>54176513
I've been DMing for about a year so I'm not an expert like some people on here. The biggest things that helped me were only planning maybe a session or two in detail (come up with locations and npc's they might meet and possible encounters), be okay with making mistakes because you'll become a better dm over time, and take interest in your player's backstories. Incorporating backstory makes the players feel like you made something just for them, it's a great feeling.
>>
File: 1465494475231.png (858KB, 1600x1597px) Image search: [Google]
1465494475231.png
858KB, 1600x1597px
>>54176523
>and you are able to hear things double as clearly as anyone else
My mind

>>54176566
That's a good point.
>>
>>54176566
You're supposed to announce it in a very realistic way. Something cool like, BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY MIGHTY BLADE YE FOUL VILLANS.
>>
>>54176513
>Any general tips on running the game?
Rule of three. Because one is railroading, and two is not enough. What may seem obvious to you is not necessarily clear to the players - or acceptable. What you think the players will invariably encounter, they may miss by a mile. Which is why there must be three of everything.
There are always three paths the party can complete a quest. There are always three clues to solve a puzzle. And so on.

Rule of three is also very useful when you come up with locations and quests - start with three simple things, and grow the adventure from there. Three rumors surrounding a village. Three persons of interest the players might want to meet. Three dungeons surrounding a city.
>>
>>54171813

Apparently, a single-classed Naga Rogue with high Str, a rapier, and Athletics expertise. Poisoned blade stabs at advantage on a target in a hands-free grapple is going to add up fast.
>>
>>54176513
Prep time you'll have to figure out on your own, as it's different for everyone. I suggest over preparing for the first session, and less and less for subsequent sessions, until you hit your happy medium.

Don't be anal about the rules. The rules are the worst part of 5e, they're designed by morons for morons. If you don't know a rule, just decide what would be the most fun, but explain to your players that in future sessions your decisions for similar situations may change as you become more familiar with things.

About fun: it's different for everyone. Some people want a gritty, realistic campaign. Those people shouldn't play DnD, but maybe one of them is in your group anyways. Some people want a high fantasy, epic experience, and then they pick a fighter. People make bad decisions. What you should do though, is spend about 5 minutes per player talking with them, figuring out what they want the campaign to be like. Do this before preparing. Figure out what the group consensus is, and try to set up a plot that enables the group goals.

Don't forget that your fun is important too. In fact, it's the most important, because in all likliehood, without you stepping up to DM, nobody would be playing at all. Don't go power mad of course, but take your desires into account. Later on, after you've learned to truly hate the players, you can truly begin to DM.

When in doubt, say either "no, but...", "yes, but..." or "yes, and..." These three phrases are your greatest tools for stringing the narrative along.

Combat Balance: The players don't know shit about what's behind your screen. If the fight is too easy, add reinforcements. If the fight is too hard, maybe they get reinforcements, or a new retreat condition is invented. Don't use single enemies against the players, it's never a good fight until you're more experienced. Instead, try to make sure there is at least one enemy per player, and no more than 1.5 enemies per player at a time.
>>
File: wavegunideon.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
wavegunideon.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>54176484
I scour the OSTs of 70s-80s anime that no one watched, then sort them by theme or "mood".
It's great when a show has a specific leitmotif that can be used as a theme for an NPC / faction and there's a bunch of variations on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUebfU5_jXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cGHNoKSKc
>>
>>54173131

This is not ordinary NARPwank. This is advanced NARPwank.
>>
>>54173991

One, yes, N/A.
>>
>>54174136

Nah, but it would make me question if Lord High Muckety-muck fully understands the concept of "Minotaur."
>>
>>54176671
Finally, for noncombat encounters and distractions, try to make things more interesting than the party barbarian lifting the object out of the road with a single athletics check.

Add complications. For instance, you might decide that the social encounter is complicated enough that the players need to succeed three ways to get the info they want. Add failure consequences (if they fail enough tries, the mob boss is tipped off that they're looking for them). Whenever they succeed at a single check, but still have more to go, narrate a course of events that seems like they're getting closer, but throws up another obstacle in their path.

For instance, the party is in the tavern, seeking info on the local Don of the town. The bard wants to use his insight to see if he can spot anyone likely to know pertinent information. He succeeds. You point them to a kobold, currently the life of the party with many hangers on. This sets up the next phase: how do they get the info?

And so on and so on, until you feel the party has earned success.
>>
>>54171648
>religious rulership that's secretly corrupt
>backdrop of a trial meant to prove worthiness
>when people die they return as horrifying monsters

Why does this sound like Final Fantasy X?
>>
>>54174562

Have you check out the art for Stirges? They're basically uber-Mosquitos that go all the way back to Original Edition.
>>
File: caintilt.png (88KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
caintilt.png
88KB, 5000x5000px
>>54176760
>Neuropathy, ataxia, and retinitis pigmentosa (NARP) is a condition that causes a variety of signs and symptoms chiefly affecting the nervous system
>The National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP) is the largest national membership advocacy organization for train and rail transit passengers
>National Agriculture Release Program (NARP) provides a methodology for evaluating high-volume agriculture imports that are low-risk for the introduction of plant pests and plant diseases into the United States
>Narcissist Abuse Recovery Program (NARP)'s Quanta Freedom Healing process releases you from high range beta brainwave and takes you into theta brain wave which bypasses your logical mind and speaks directly to your subconscious – where your pain is stored
>>
>>54174816

Played subtly with an eye towards not breaking the setting or flow of the game: awesome idea. Breaking the setting or flow of the game: not awesome. Avoid even the appearance of metagaming, you'll need to tread lightly as it is.
>>
File: Memo_20170705_212602_01.jpg (164KB, 792x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Memo_20170705_212602_01.jpg
164KB, 792x1102px
>>54176423
Your silly image has inspired me.

>Giradot's Flail
>Rare
>1d8+1 Piercing damage
>Finesse
>This weapon has a +1 to damage rolls
>When wielding this bizzare weapon, you can use an action on your turn to swing in a wild arc, casting the Sword Burst cantrip using Strength as your cast mod. If you do the damage type is Piercing instead of Force.
>Prerequisite- 13 DEX, 14 STR (Attempting to wield this without the prerequisites has a -5 to hit and missed attacks deal 1d8 Piercing to yourself)

There was once a common soldier from an extremely bureaucratic nation who, through mastery of the Flail, clever wits, and a fair amount of luck managed to get promoted to General. However, generals of this nation were required to wield a Rapier as part of their badge of office, and were only permitted one weapon and one shield. Despite his arguing and demonstrations that he was far more effective with a Flail, the bureaucrats in charge refused to budge. Eventually growing frustrated with all the red tape, he wrapped a pile of Rapiers in a chain and used his new General's salary to have a Wizard fuse the clump into a crude, but devastating, weapon- the magic making each Rapier nearly unbreakable. Despite protests to his new "rapier", the abomination technically passed all requirements to be used by a General.
>>
Where can I read about gods and planes?
>>
How do I tell my DM he fucked up and made me too OP?
>>
>>54176877
For what setting? If you're doing standard FR:
2E's Faiths and Avatars will give you all the God shit,
and there's like three different Manuals of the Planes which vary based on what edition's interpretation of the cosmology you want to go by (Great Wheel, World Tree, 4E's crazy bullshit).
The baseline 5E take on planes incorporates a little bit of everything but it's all vague enough that you can do whatever the fuck you want, really.
>>
Knowledge Cleric/Rogue a good idea for a skillmonkey, or redundant?
>>
>>54175896
Adobe Photoshop has some great tricks for map making. I've seen a guide posted on how to make a random world map using it.
>>
>>54176875
Wrong name, was going to be Giradot's "Rapier".

Also the Sword Burst is meant to scale with character level like normal PC cantrips.
>>
>>54176875
That's cool as fuck, thanks dude
>>
>>54176447
While on topic
My setting is a galaxy where sci-fi human empire with a God in charge fought against elves. The outcome of the war resulted in the destruction of both empires and the main fleets of both humans and elves crashed on the planet. Elves died and some humans started to mutate into dragons and other races because ships' cores work on the power of creation, their protective shielding broke and cores' radiation can reshape things they touch. Later, the remnants of the elven empire find the planet with they crashed on. God btfos them, but it weakens him. God gets splitted into five fragments, and the most sane one got captured by the other four and is being held inside human mothership. Thousands of years pass and people forget their heritage. Kingdoms and empires form. People either worship the four gods our the Elder God (as they call the main fragment). The plot takes place when splintered fragments of human god decide to free themselves once and for all by killing the main fragment.
Suggestions? Improvements?
>>
How do people feel about the "go fight some barbarians" section of chapter 4 of Storm King's Thunder?

I like giving the players an airship. It's a cool way to reduce travel times. But the thing is set up like a fetch quest where the results are random. The players don't know who any of the tribes are and they have no control over what giant lord they go after. And being like "the more giant items you get, the more options I'll open up" just doesn't roll off the tongue well.

Also it just feels so shitty to have had a lot of conflict with Frost Giants in the campaign (because my party went to Bryn Shander) and get Stone Giants as the giant lord to fight.
>>
For a Divine version of Eldritch Knight, would you have any suggestions relating to the features? The only one I'd change would be the one that lets you summon a focused weapon but I don't have any ideas for it, it just seems kind of bland to me. If you've got any anecdotes otherwise feel free to let me in.

The general idea is just switching Wizard for Cleric spells and using WIS instead of INT.
>>
>>54177034
>Paladin
>>
>>54177062
Paladins use Charisma and are still half-casters who generally use their spell slots for Divine Smite. These would be more like Lords from Wizardry, warriors with divine healing magic.
>>
>>54175959

It's rarely seen in OTB play. In 5e DMing career I've spent more time giving pep-talks to casters who felt overshadowed by martials than the other way around,
>>
>>54177099
It strongly depends on how frequent long rests are compared to short rests.

If the party goes two fights and then takes a long, of course the caster is going to be hilariously bullshit. Likewise, if the party refuses to take short rests, of course the caster is hilariously bullshit.
On the other hand, if a party refuses to take long rests or spams short rests, the classes that care more about short rests get to nova.
>>
>>54177099
This happens when you have a bunch of players who are not great at being casters sitting at the table with a bunch of martials whose fightgyvering skills were tempered in 3X's maddening crucible of bullshit.
>>
>>54171778
>tfw through a mix of newbie snowflake-ism and not being able to come up with a "signature" for a regular-ass elf Walker your first DM let you put giant hawk wings on your elf ranger at reduced fly speed for the first few levels to prevent pure aerial superiority
>tfw this is functionally better than that
Wizards can't keep getting away with this.
>>
>>54177034
Maybe change the ability to summon attuned weapons, into you can make attuned weapons shed bright light? Still a fluff ability but a little more holy inspired.
>>
File: plague doctor.jpg (41KB, 398x960px) Image search: [Google]
plague doctor.jpg
41KB, 398x960px
>Currently playing a wizard hermit, necromancy school.
> backstory of getting kicked out of the religious capital for contacting anatomy study on corpses
>Homebrewing and collabing with the DM to make medical procedures & alchemy shit to be researched as the campaign goes on.

Currently we have

>Diagnostic techniques to identify disease in the body and know the details about it
>Syringe gun for application of certain alchemy things to be made in conjunction with party artificer gnome
>Some plant mutations for early detection of disease n poison in the environment.
>Reduced time costs on crafting better healing potions from the UA page on it.
>Blood transfusions with leeches and blood taken before ailments to give another save with advantage against diseases.
Anyone got any other ideas on what I could possibly throw in here? Mainly trying to think practical stuff to use on the party that can be magic based, totally alchemical or a combination of both.
>>
>>54177099
The problem is that caster try to be magic archers and fail. Casters should fuck with reality and enemies, instead of just shooting firebolts at them.
>>
>>54176899

"Hey, DM, you got a minute? I'm having a lot of fun with with <verbing> with this <thing> you gave me, but I'm a little concerned that <verb> is <player 2>'s thing and I feel like I'm stealing their thunder. Any chance we could shift it around a bit so they're back to feeling good about <verbing>?"
>>
As a first-level Wizard, are either Shield or Mage Armor really necessary spells to know? I'm not intending on being in melee anyway.
>>
File: WP_20170705_19_09_33_Pro.jpg (415KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170705_19_09_33_Pro.jpg
415KB, 1920x1080px
>>54176875
That's silly, anon, armored knights don't use rapiers. Bladesingers do.
I was mad that you stole the glory from my shit drawing, so I made another drawing.
>>
>>54177339
Necessary, no. Likely to be the difference between death saves and level 2? Depends on your GM, but fairly often.

As a level 1 wizard, you are going to drop to the floor the instant anything hits you.
>>
>>54177339
if you want to live i suggest at least one of them. You're a wizard, so it's not like you're going to be short on spells to prepare from.
>>
>>54177339

Depends on your DM. In high-lethality games it can might well determine whether you make it to second-level wizard. If they doesn't regularly pressure the backline you can probably get by with either. If they don't pressure the backline at all you can get by with neither.
>>
>>54177360
Eh it was for a Battlemaster/Mastermind so I figured a general would be more fitting.
>>
>>54177031
I kind of like the idea that the giant lord they fight is random. If they get the giant lord that bothered the Chapter 2 town, then they feel justified. If they get another giant lord, then you can explain that the Annam believes this lord is the most threatening to the small folk (and it conveys how wide-spread the giant problem is).
>>
>>54177440
Ah yes, I forgot the original point of the weapon. My mistake.
>>
so a high level Bard can just command anyone within 60 feet of them to die it works? I've heard of persuasion but this is ridiculous
>>
>>54177339
I would say go with it, mage armor has saved my ass plenty of times as a lvl 1 wiz, its also a good investment to keep up with the rest of the party in terms of AC, especially if you have crap dex. Its never a bad idea to try and have a bit of insurance.
>>
>>54177492
what the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>54177501
power word kill, a 9th level bard spell
>>
File: UnarmedArchetypes.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UnarmedArchetypes.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
There was both interest in and complaining about the pugilist homebrew earlier. One of the main complaints was that it felt like too narrow of a concept to be a whole class. So I brewed up some rough ideas for unarmed archetypes for other classes.
Let me know what you think!
>>
>>54177492
A High Level Bard can learn any spell in the world.
>>
Alright, so now that I have a Race that encourages building characters who synergise with each other (Khenra) I've finally decided to build characters who mechanically support each other.

What's the most bullshit thing you can do by combining two classes abilities? Oathbreaker + Necromancer? Shadow Sorcerer + Devil's Sight Warlock? 2 Sorcerers who twin Haste and twin Polymorph each other? Give me some ideas please.
>>
>>54176310
Are you under the impression that "rapier" is a two-syllable word?
>>
>>54177523
>can speak death at someone once a day
>if the target has too high HP, fuckall happens
There's literally nothing wrong with this. You should have a bigger problem with Wish.
>>
>>54177920
I like the bear one. I kind of feel like the rogue one getting the Monk damage die and sneak attack at the same time is slight overkill, and if they're getting unarmoured defence I feel it intelligence based would be more fitting than wisdom.
>>
File: staff.png (79KB, 656x875px) Image search: [Google]
staff.png
79KB, 656x875px
Can anyone give me some feedback on this item?
Is it too powerful or too weak for a low lvl PC (2nd-4th lvl)?
Should shillelagh consume any charges?

>staff of the shaman, quarterstaff, requires attunement by a druid, cleric or warlock

10 charges:
spells available:
shillelagh cast on this staff: 1 charge
beast sense: 3 charges
animal messenger: 3 charges

2d6+3 regained charges, when you spend 8h praying or 1 min of sacrificing something. You can't benefit from a long rest while praying

Can be transformed into an oak over 1 min, when planted on solid earth (consumes all charges)
The oak is sentient, lasts until dispelled and can communicate with you through simple thoughts if you touch it, it may give you information or move to a certain degree (like speak with plants)
It takes 1 min to transform the oak back into the staff form, the staff has to regain charges before you can use this feature again
>>
>>54178102
>monk damage die and sneak attack at the same time
I thought about this, but ultimately decided even the highest monk damage (d10) is only 1 damage higher than a rapier, so it's almost definitely not that big of a deal. The monk's damage comes from their multiple attacks, not the damage die.
>intelligence based would be more fitting than wisdom
I considered this too, but my thought was that it would make it too easy to have very high AC early on with very little sacrifice, compared to rogues of other archetypes. Wisdom is not traditionally a stat rogues keep very high, which means a Street Fighter who wants that sexy 20 AC would have to make compromises elsewhere.
Thoughts? Agree/disagree?
>>
>>54178094
I dont have a problem with power word kill, but the image of a bard dancing down the street in a parade, singing merry songs, then suddenly staring intensely at a passerby and commanding him to die is quite funny.
>>
>>54178163
for more hilarity, take Divine Word, for a mass FUCK YOU!

Can't get much better than being surrounded by demons, shouting "KEKS!" and banishing them all back to hell.
>>
>>54178228
neat, so that word changes to keks. didn't know that.
>>
File: WKSOFve.jpg (402KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
WKSOFve.jpg
402KB, 600x450px
I only have experience with Pathfinder and I've never played 5e and I'm a little confused about something.

Is the Artificer a playable class as it is? I've looked around and I see it as an option in some places and not others. I'd like to play one, but not if I'm going to be a detriment to my group.
>>
>>54178114
>Is it too powerful or too weak for a low lvl PC (2nd-4th lvl)?
I can't really tell, depends totally on adventure, but consider you can get Staff of Defense (Mage Armor and Shield spells) on LMoP probably at 2nd-3rd level, so I believe it's ok.

>Should shillelagh consume any charges?
Why not let it use your spellcasting ability score from the start? It's already magical, no need for Shillelagh here.

>2d6+3 regained charges, when you spend 8h praying or 1 min of sacrificing something.
Don't know how you run your games, but that's a long time if you don't use downtime etc.
Also, 2d6+3 is 5-15 charges regained to a 10 charges item, maybe make it have 15-20 charges instead?

>Can be transformed into an oak over 1 min, when planted on solid earth (consumes all charges)
Does it needs 10 charges or just consumes all remaining charges?

Pretty cool item.
>>
>>54178243
>so that word changes to keks
Is there a rule in the filter I'm not aware of?
>>
>>54178253
it's playable, but it's not very good right now.
>>
>>54178274
it starts with C and rhymes with Fucks.
>>
So my DM is letting be use sharpshooter with throwing weapons and draw as many as I want.

What's the best class for being a STR Javelin Thrower? I was thinking Hunter but I'm not sure.
>>
>>54178253
It is in playtesting phase at the moment, many say it is underwhelming, but it is playable.
>>
>>54178297
You can toss 4 javelins per turn as a fighter
>>
>>54178320
huh, guess it's gotta be in all caps.
>>
>>54178349
As in KEKS? (Sorry, I deleted the previous post because I can't be on record using such language)
>>
>>54178280
>>54178298
I don't mind being underwhelming as long as I can function in a group that isn't looking to min/max.

Would any other classes work better as an alternative? I'm looking for something similar to the alchemy specialization but it doesn't need to be exactly the same or anything.
>>
>>54178398
What are you looking to do, mechanics and flavor wise?
>>
>>54178253
There's an Unearthed Arcana version of the class available. UA is basically the playtest version of a class or rules. They're specifically asking for player feedback to make the classes or ideas more balanced and fun. Whenever you play with UA classes or rules, you have to work with your DM to make sure it's balanced properly, just like any kind of homebrew rules.

I hope you give 5e a shot! My group has two former Pathfinder players and they have a blast with the system. I've certainly had a good time DMing it.
>>
>>54178297
Battlemaster Fighter.
>hitting people with javelins so hard they fly 15 feet backwards

>>54178319
Strictly speaking, no. I've yet to encounter a DM shitty enough to follow RAW with javelins, but /5eg/ is full of terrible fuckers who'd scream
>REEEEEEEE JAVELINS DON'T HAVE THE AMMUNITION RULE
>YOU CAN ONLY DRAW ONE WEAPON PER TURN AS PART OF YOUR ATTACK REGARDLESS OF ACTION SURGE
>SO YOU CAN PULL OUT ONE JAVELIN AND THROW IT BUT YOU CAN'T THROW A SECOND
>UNLESS YOU STARTED THE TURN WITH A JAVELIN IN YOUR HAND, IN WHICH CASE YOU CAN THROW TWO
>AND IF YOU HAD A JAVELIN IN YOUR OFF-HAND YOU COULD THROW THREE
>BUT NEVER FOUR REEEEEEEEEE
>ALSO YOU CAN'T JUST HOLD TWO JAVELINS IN YOUR OFF-HAND THAT'S CHEATING
>>
>>54178261
>Does it needs 10 charges or just consumes all remaining charges?
Remaining charges, because it would be very unlikely to be used otherwise

>Don't know how you run your games, but that's a long time if you don't use downtime etc.
I kinda liked the idea of praying to otherwordly spirits to be granted more charges, it's more flavorful than xd6+y at dawn and there's plenty of downtime in my campaign

>Also, 2d6+3 is 5-15 charges regained to a 10 charges item, maybe make it have 15-20 charges instead?
I guess, I'll change it to 20 charges, that could fix the long recovery time plus I don't really think you'd need it that often, especially if I grant shillelagh for free, which also sounds reasonable

Should I grant another spell? 2 feel like not enough

Maybe I'll be adding animal friendship for 2 charges if it's still not too strong then
>>
>>54177920
I think barbarian could stand to have the unarmed damage outside of a rage. The idea of getting angry and dropping your weapons is a bit odd to me
>>
>>54178143
I disagree because wisdom is a more useful stat than intelligence
>>
File: Staff of the Woodlands.png (180KB, 268x387px) Image search: [Google]
Staff of the Woodlands.png
180KB, 268x387px
>>54178492
Consider following Staff of the Woodlands (DMG, pg. 204), it's more for a 11th level+ druid.
It uses 1 charges per spell level, so I'd say to make Beast Sense and Animal Messenger at 2 charges, and animal friendship at 1.
>>
>>54178420
I'm trying to make a battle chef/brewmaster sort of character. I haven't put too much thought into it so far because I wanted to make sure the concept could even work before I committed to anything.

>>54178433
It's been interesting so far. It seems a lot less complicated, which I like a lot. It's just taking me some time to adjust to the lack of options compared to Pathfinder, which at times felt like it had an overwhelming amount.
>>
>>54178606
>Dropping your weapons for monk damage progression anyway when the whole point of being a strength barbarian is using big weapons with feats and otherwise you might as well be a barbarogue
>>
>>54178698
Barbarians are pretty good even without feats (I would even say weapon feats are OP, and shouldn't be used), and multiclass is an optional rule that you need DM's approval
>>
>>54178606
I did consider that. I think I'll change it for consistency's sake.

>>54178698
Outside of feats, weapon choice barely matters. I'll admit I was designing without thinking about them because my groups don't use them.
>>
File: Untitled.png (352KB, 574x429px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
352KB, 574x429px
So my DM is using some Kobold Press homebrew that actually looks fairly decent, Beyond Damage Dice.

I'm confused about this thing though, does the concealed Poniard come out of the sword like a separate dagger, or does it come out like a double-sided sword?
>>
File: Memo_20170705_210326_01.jpg (183KB, 792x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Memo_20170705_210326_01.jpg
183KB, 792x1102px
Person doing all the edgy Modrons here. There's no other valid thread for me to post in so asking here.

Does this seem like a good design for a Pentadrone or does it stray too far from the "classic" design?
>>
>>54178822
>does it stray too far from the "classic" design?
yes
>>
>>54178816
It comes out of the hilt, so I would assume it comes out parallel with the blade, out of the pommel.
>>54178822
It strays very far, but does give it a much less clunky design. Doesn't look very, er, lawful, however.
>>
>>54178854
>Doesn't look very, er, lawful, however.
Well neither do normal Modrons, before I knew what they were I always thought Modrons were "random wacky :DDD" things.
>>
>>54178902
They made a LOT more sense as incarnations of pure law back in earlier editions when they were geometric figures with faces, arms, and legs.
>>
>>54178455
>strictly speaking, no.
He did say his GM was letting him draw as many as he wanted, so he's good there.

>>54178297
Barbarian Rage damage doesn't work with throwing weapons, so that's out. Paladins can't Smite, so we're basically looking at Valor Bard, Fighter, and Ranger. Valor Bard doesn't really add anything interesting on the javelin front.

Battlemaster Fighter could Action Surge to throw 4+ javelins and knock people around or do all kinds of crazy stuff.

Hunter could Volley, but that's kind of the only cool thing (you'll note Horde Breaker requires the same weapon to use, and you threw yours. But your DM is probably okay with it).

I'd vote BM fighter. Pick up Defense or Protection and go to town.
>>
>>54175816
>These classes can take their armor off, and place it in a bag of holding, to be retrieved later.
And then spend 10 minutes putting them on while a dragon burns their party to ashes
>>
File: MvHTA.jpg (288KB, 1800x1284px) Image search: [Google]
MvHTA.jpg
288KB, 1800x1284px
What specifically makes Artificer so underwhelming?

What would make it better?
>>
So crossbow drow Nomad or long bow high elf nomad, which is better with Nomad Arrow?
>>
>>54179061
for me, the biggest problem is they have an awesome feature to share their spells, but they have fuck all spells to share.
>>
What's the best way to do exploration and battle maps? Every method I find either seems time consuming, inflexible, or expensive as fuck.
>>
Is it possible to make a viable bladelock without dipping into fighter?
>>
>>54179149
base bladelock is "viable" it's just not optimal.
>>
>>54179149
Dip into paladin.
>>
File: moon.jpg (402KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
moon.jpg
402KB, 1200x800px
So my party is currently at the foot of a mountain that leads to the Dwarven capital city within. I've decided to make the head of the Dwarven pantheon a moon deity, but I'm having some difficulty thinking of reasons why the Dwarves would place moon worship at their highest priority, any suggestions?
>>
>>54179149
Dip in Paladin or Sorcerer. Also if UA is an option Hexblades make Bladelock's better as does the eldritch innovations
>>
>>54179241
The Dwarves have actually been to the moon before and met the Moon Rock people who dwell there. The Moon Rock people have their entire society based around crafting and stone where the Dwarves learnt their smithing and stone senses from. Something happened though that one day destroyed all contact between the two.

That was hundreds of thousands of years ago though. No one remembers it. Their society still worships the Moon god and has strong cultural influences from the Moon Men.
>>
>>54179241
As an underground race, the they don't car much about the sun, but the moon's cycles have X influence because magic
>>
Does /5eg/ have a discord I could join?
>>
>>54179605
itbegins.png
>>
>>54179605
Nice bait, anon. Top notch stuff.
If serious, the answer is "yes, sort of," because there's a discord people keep posting here and then taking off and it's not clear if it belongs here or not (it doesn't).
>>
>>54179635
Is there something wrong with discord?
>>
>>54179605
There's a Discord that started here but has since been maligned by anons because some drama dripped off of it back into the thread months ago. It's still quite active.
>>
>>54179673
Is this the story with every general? The same thing happened in /pfg/.
>>
File: 111111343204.png (25KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
111111343204.png
25KB, 300x250px
>>54179810
Who'da thunk it. Take a bunch of mal-adjusted shitposters and give them actual identities to target each other with when they eventually get pissy, and drama happens.
>>
>>54179149
Take crossbow expert.

Whenever someone gets close, say "I attack with my eldritch sword."
>>
Reminder that you cannot roll below your passive perception.
>>
>>54179869
Source page in PHB or DMG?
>>
>>54171864
He's just following the set releases. I think there's even an art book release that it goes with.
>>
Is there anything like the 3.5e beguiler class in 5e?
>>
I just use one of those reversible mats with hexes on one side and squares on the other. You just crudely draw whatever you want with wet-erase markers and change it as often as you like. Lets you do literally anything in a couple minutes as long as you can draw out its basic shape.

example: draw circles of varying applicable sizes arranged randomly in the area and say they're trees. Bam, instant forest battleground.
>>
>>54180089
sorry, somehow left out reply tag for >>54179125
>>
So what's an effective way to actually play a necromancer? I feel like any version would either be subpar or at the very least make combat a very long hassle for the players and the DM. I was thinking 6 Necro Wizard and 14 Lore bard, since the rest of the benefits after 6 don't seem all that. With lore bard I was thinking I could grab useful spells to buff my minions.
>>
>a wizard school
>a knight academy
>religious temples
>a druidic circle
>a monastery
>a thieves' guild
>a bardic college

What else?
>>
>>54180142
What else what?
>>
>>54180127
Flat Wizard Necro is probably best overall just because your skeletons are stronger and multiclassing hurts spell progression a lot.
Warlock 5/Necromancer X is the meme for sheer volume of skellingtons.
Death Cleric is more for killing things yourself then buffing skeletons, but they can be your backup.
Oathbreaker to get into the thick of it with your Skeleton homies.
>>
>>54180142
ranger conclave
paladin order
barbarian path
wizard college

do warlocks and sorcerers go to college?
>>
>>54180171
They probably just get guidance from an agent of their patron, or from an older sorcerer. More like someone teaching someone how to be a better musician or cook or poet, rather than a school like wizards.
>>
>>54180171
warlock coven
>>
>>54180142
Barbarians typically come from tribes of hardy warriors who shit in the woods

>>54180171
Warlocks exist due to some pact with extraplanar beings- i'd say if there were a group of them serving as their origin it would be a cult. Otherwise just one dickhole who researched this shit and entered a pact on his own.

Sorcerers are just people who were born with innate magic ability. Maybe a wizard or other sorcerer showed them how to use their powers to cast spells, or maybe they just fucking figured it out?
>>
>>54180166
Thanks, pretty much what I thought with spell progression. Sucks since I liked the character I had in mind but sometimes things don't match up with mechanics
>>
>>54180047
The closest thing would probably be somewhere between arcane trickster and just illusionist or enchanter wizard depending on how magic you wanted to be
>>
How can I play a character devoted on tracking people? Do Rangers get enough Divination spells or am I better off with someone who can cast Scry a lot?
>>
>>54180454
Is arcane trickster a class of its own or... ?

Sorry, I'm only really familiar with 3.5e.
>>
>>54180598
Classes have their own Archetypes, basically a subclass. Everyone gets one and you have to take one. So while there's less classes and feats, the same class can have multiple paths of abilities.

Arcane Trickster is a Rogue Archetype that gains spellcasting with a focus on Enchantment, Illusions and a form of minor Telekinesis through Mage Hand which they have huge buffs for.
>>
>>54171813
Im multiclassing a Lorebard/battlemaster fighter at the moment for my grappler. So far so good but its only a lvl 5. Gets a lot more solid later on
>>
>>54180623
Oh that should be perfect then.

Thanks pal.
>>
>>54180734
they're only a tertiary caster though (only get 4th level spells). So in combat you still mostly run around and sneak attack things like a rogue. If you're looking to play a full caster, an enchanter or illusionist wizard is probably your best bet; you can pick up proficiency in stealth/deception/thieves tools/what have you with your background and whatnot.

Nothing really has the same casting mechanic as beguiler, though.
>>
>>54180598
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Rogue,Arcane%20Trickster
>>
How would one destroy a magic item? My paladin came to get an evil sentient sword and she definitely does not want to use it or let some other evil creatures find it.
>>
>>54180778
Depends on the item and the setting, obviously.
Most reliable way is to drop them into the lake of fire in which they were forged. Works like a charm.
>>
>>54180778
Dispel Magic
>>
File: IMG_6515.jpg (9KB, 157x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6515.jpg
9KB, 157x240px
How would you build this as a character?
>>
>>54180924
A skeleton bard, a necromancer brought him to life for his entertainment, now his sole mission is to rock for all eternity.
>>
>>54180924
The bard who rocked so hard his flesh came off
The gods of music were so impressed that they allowed him to live on as long as he never ever stops rocking out. He does not need to talk. His music is so righteous it speaks to the souls of any other creature that hears it they automatically understand anything he wishes to communicate.

some say that when his song ends, the world itself will also move on to its next track.
>>
>>54180924
Something like...

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

Maybe?
>>
I want to play a wizard who is good with a sword and has a decent reason to use it regularly. Like, wizard class, full 9 levels of casting. Is it possible in 5e?
>>
>>54181103
Bladesinger Wizard. The weapons cantrips from SCAG have the potential to be much more damaging then normal cantrips, but they require you to be in melee.
>>
>>54181116
That sounds cool, but I don't have that book.

Also does it require light weapons and armor? I'm envisioning someone with heavy armor and a heavy blade.
>>
>>54181086
Hold on there cowboy
if you're gonna use that meme in /5eg/ at least do it right.

Large monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 59 (7d10+21)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 20 (+5) DEX 12 (+1) CON 17 (+3) INT 3 (-4) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Keen Sight and Smell. This creature has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight or smell.
Actions
Multiattack. The creature makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (1d10 + 5) piercing damage.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage.
>>
>>54181128
Bladesingers can only use Light Armour and one handed weapons. For what you want either Fighter 1/War Mage X or play a damn Cleric.

>>54181129
Sorry, first time using it. Thanks for the new Copy Paste meme to use.
>>
>>54181144
Where can I find war mage?
>>
>>54181161
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Wizard,War%20Magic%20(UA)

Basically go level 1 in Fighter and the rest in Wizard. Take defence fighting style and use Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade cantrips.

Your DM will fucking hate you for the retarded amount of AC you have though.
>>
>>54181190
Those are in SCAG right?
>>
>>54181204
Yeah, you can also just use 5etools for everything though.

https://astranauta.github.io/spells.html#green-flame%20blade

https://astranauta.github.io/spells.html#booming%20blade
>>
I'm going to play a good alignment Necromancer Wizard and you can't stop me!
>>
>>54181282
Ok, enjoy the slippery slope. It's quite a ride going from LG to CE
>>
>>54181128
>>54181161
Is being a Wizard really necessary?

You could go Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X instead. You have heavy armor, martial weapon and tons of slot to smite.
>>
>>54181282
There are stages to this sort of thing. First you're introduced to the basic concepts that fill generic fantasy
Then you try to subvert them by playing a good necromancer or goblin or whatever
Then you try to desperately forget the last step by playing the most generic things possible with a higher level of commitment
And finally you become so bitter you just can't take any concept seriously and it all feels like a dumb joke you've heard too many times
>>
>>54181299
> Atonement: You touch one willing creature whose alignment has changed, and you make a DC 20 Wisdom (Insight) check. On a success, you restore the target to its original alignment.

Just spam this ritual spell. Alignment really has no meaning in 5e.
>>
>>54181304
Not particularly. I just want to be a big heavily armored guy with a sword and magic.
>>
Well, even though rage damage doesn't work with throwing weapons, it's not a huge deal as Rage damage is pretty low for most of the game.

Also in my campaign one of our party members is playing an Eldritch Knight who summons his handaxes back to him after he throws them, which is pretty good for saving ammo but eats up bonus actions.
>>
>>54181344
If you decide to go Paladin/Sorcerer route, don't forget that you could use Quicken Spell on another weapon attack cantrip to emulate extra attack.

You could go full meme and be Draconic Bloodline and spam Green Flame Blade
>>
>>54181319
Is that even a spell anymore? I feel like it only existed because of that cursed meme helmet
>>
What CR should Modron Hierarchs be?

Off the top of my head-

>Monodrone 1/8
>Duodrone 1/4
>Tridrone 1/2
>Quadrone 1
>Pentadrone 2

>Decaton 5
>Nonaton 7
>Octon 9
>Septon 11
>Hexton 13
>Quinton 15
>Quarton 17
>Tertian 19
>Secundus 21
>Primus 30

Or should even the lowest tier of Hierarch be around CR10?

It's hard to guess because even a lowly Quadrone used to be significantly higher CR in older editions.
>>
File: Haymaker.png (350KB, 730x342px) Image search: [Google]
Haymaker.png
350KB, 730x342px
Sorry to open the Pugilist floodgates again, but I require some assistance. This ability affects all forms of damage, Weapon Damage, Spells, Sneak Attacks, Smites, Magic Damage, everything. How is this balanced? Is it balanced? This whole time I thought it worked like Great Weapon Fighting, but apparently, it doesn't.

I'm trying to give the developer of this class some reasons as to why this ability is potentially overpowered, but I might be crazy and it might be fine, am I crazy /5eg/?
>>
>>54181374
It's in the starter spell UA. People just memeing the marriage option on the same spell instead.
>>
File: Capture.png (93KB, 1168x637px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
93KB, 1168x637px
>>54181376
For reference, an old Decaton
>>
>>54181373
>You could go full meme and be Draconic Bloodline and spam Green Flame Blade

I need to pay attention to these threads sometime, because I have no idea what half the memes are.
>>
alright, which class should I play if I want to be a Judgemaster/Supreme Justice type. Think Tunon from Tyranny if you know who that is.

I was thinking Cleric since they get Zone of Truth, which would be the most usefull spell for courtroom interrogations.

Also, why isn't there a Justice/Law domain for clerics?
>>
>>54181395
Nothing I remember about the pugilist really felt like it could take much advantage of it. The only way it would really be OP would be multiclassing or magic items, but multiclassing with homebrew is in such bad form in the first place.
I would just change it to +5 damage similar to great weapon master or something like that since the intended use seems lackluster and the exploitable use is avoided that way
>>
you know I think that the cleric domain of Zeal in Amonkhet is kinda OP, it allow addition attacks and the skill from tempest that max damage from lighting attack
>>
>>54181586
First of all, grammer's a good skill.

Second not really. I mean it's good, but most melee Clerics want to pick up PAM anyway so the bonus action attack's not that great. I'd rather be Tempest for Lightning knock-back still.
>>
>>54181586
>>54181615

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture, it gets max damage fireball.
>>
>>54181683
I honestly have 0 issue with that. There was already all the memeing for max damage Lightning Bolts and stuff anyway.

My bigger issue is max damage on half of Destructive Wave with a knock back that now triggers on Thunder damage.

30+5d6 damage, Save for Prone, 10ft. pushback in a 30ft radius allies are immune to? It's pretty damn awesome.

Really though, Cleric is a class that never seems broken. Everything it gets is powerful but it's powerful in the right way that makes it interesting, not the retarded exploit way.
>>
>>54181741

is there a way to get max damage lightning bolts before level 7? big difference between having it at level 7 and level 5
>>
>>54181761
>is there a way to get max damage lightning bolts before level 7?
Tempest Theurge.
>>
>>54181780

alright, fuck wizards. Remove them from the game
>>
>>54181554
>It would be OP with Multiclassing
Explain more, some specifics could help.
>>
File: 1479427945428.png (210KB, 515x590px) Image search: [Google]
1479427945428.png
210KB, 515x590px
>>54181795
As a primary Wizard player I have to ask, how will you feel when the Theurge becomes official and you'll receive criticism for not wanting it in your games?
>>
>>54181830

Let me counter with another question: Why does wizard have to be better than other classes at their own game?
>>
>>54181839
Direct your attention to the OP image.

Speaking of OPs, we're on page 10 lads.
>>
>>54181839
They don't. I specifically make sure to focus on supporting my party and not overshadowing people, part of the reason I avoided Loremaster, Diviner and Illusionist at all opportunities.

It takes specifically picking the most bullshit 1 level dips and spells to do that. Anyone who actually does is a knob.

It's the fact my Enchanter COULD ruin the party full of martials that makes me happy. I don't actually want to stop their fun, but knowing that I could is fun for me.
>>
>>54181885

>They don't. As long s you ignore all the options that allow you to

k
>>
>>54181897
The question that was asked

>Why does wizard have to be better than other classes at their own game?

I said they don't have to be better.
>>
Weird Question but if a High Elf and a Half Elf breeded would there be a chance to produce a High Elf
>>
File: AAAAAAA_its_a_moon_elf_AAAA.jpg (70KB, 700x833px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAA_its_a_moon_elf_AAAA.jpg
70KB, 700x833px
>>54182013
yes or another half elf
>>
>>54182013
That would be a Three Quarters-Elf.
>>
>>54182013
elvenness is a social construct desu
>>
>>54181799
It's nothing all that complicated. Maxing dice just isn't really useful unless you have some sort of class feature that gives a bunch of dice. Pugilist/Paladin or Rogue would probably be the easiest ways to take advantage of it, but it's not like I'm about to crunch some numbers for a homebrew I have no intention to use. I might of spoken too soon to call it OP, but it's certainly only really good under circumstances when a melee attack's damage has a lot of dice, and probably lackluster on a character that isn't multiclassed
>>
I can Speak 5 Languages
Common
Elvish
Orcish (needed for quest)
Draconic
and Giant
are these good or should i change
>>
>>54182250
High Elf, Wizard, Acolyte btw
>>
>>54182250
>>54182266
I would maybe drop giant for sylvan cause Fey
>>
>>54182229

you can't get sneak attack on an attack that has disadvantage so rogue is out
>>
>>54182362
If you cancel it out with advantage and are fighting the same target as an ally you could
>>
File: Advantage and Disadvantage.png (278KB, 700x184px) Image search: [Google]
Advantage and Disadvantage.png
278KB, 700x184px
>>54182229
>Elf/Half-Elf 5 Pugilist/15 Swashbuckler Rogue
Dagger does 8(16 crit)
Sneak Attack 48(96 Crit)
Booming Blade 24(48)

>>54182362
You can if you have the advantage to cancel the disadvantage out. Swashbucklers need to be at neutral, Inquisitive can do it with disadvantage, everyone else needs a partner.
>>
>>54182362
If you have ADV from another source it cancels out the disadvantage still. People keep seeming to be too retarded to understand that.

For instance, if the Pugilist knocks someone prone with one of their attacks the rest get to be done as normal attacks dealing max damage.
>>
how to play mystic without being an op fuckwad?
>>
>>54182417
Only take disciplines that belong to your Order. Don't take Nomadic Mind.

There's nothing wrong with having 1 ability you use often that's really strong, the issue is that Mystics can easily just take all the best. Locking yourself nearly entirely into a specific theme makes it better.
>>
>>54182430
>Only take disciplines that belong to your order
CoughSOULKNIFECough
>>
>>54182453
It's a rough guide, if you're going Soul Knife then just restrict yourself to things that make your Soul Knives stronger and augment your own power.

Don't take shit like summoning Shadows or Mind spirit bombs because it's powerful. Keep to the theme of the character.

So stuff like Psionic Weapon, the defence ones, Brute Strength and etc. Those all fit the theme.
>>
>>54181395
I don't get how this would work thematically with spells. What causes the Pugilist to suddenly be able to max out damage on a spell. How does this Haymaker suddenly make my lightning bolt/fireball spell do max damage?
>>
>>54182430
>>54182453
>>54182475
Cool, I'm not one for taking the efficient thing if it breaks character anyway, so little less worried of accidentally overshadowing others now.
>>
We're near the bottom of page 10 you fools, migrate to the new thread!

>>54182540
>>54182540
>>54182540
>>54182540

Go, go, go!
>>
Alright i have an idea
>Use Stone to Flesh on a Rock
>Grill the meatball up
What would it taste like
>>
>>54182584
oh jesus h tap dancing christ
>Rock Burgers
>>
>>54182584
Considering that's not even a 5e spell? Like make a fucking thread and ask it faggot.
>>
File: ded.png (42KB, 795x592px) Image search: [Google]
ded.png
42KB, 795x592px
>>
>>54178253
It's UA at moment along with the mystic but apparently later this year both will be getting another revision that be Adventure League legal (so as legal as it can get without going to print)
Thread posts: 428
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.