[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osr/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 91

File: img000004.png (310KB, 1080x1536px) Image search: [Google]
img000004.png
310KB, 1080x1536px
http://udan-adan.blogspot.com/2016/09/bx-class-extras.html
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-class-modron-mathmatician.html
http://justanotherdungeon.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-pen-is-mightier-draft-calligrapher.html
http://www.necropraxis.com/2014/02/26/genie-binder/
http://gloomtrain.blogspot.com/2015/11/bound-dinni-class.html

>Prior: >>54070589
Trove: http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Game finder?: https://discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>What is best in life, GP for XP or SP for XP?
>>
File: Arrogant wolf swordsman.jpg (225KB, 1024x1229px) Image search: [Google]
Arrogant wolf swordsman.jpg
225KB, 1024x1229px
Since this thread just start why not ruin it early?

I don't use race as class in my game, but am still deciding on if I want to use race with a mechanical benefit though. Do you think it's interesting or fun to give races a mechanical reason, or do you think it detracts from the smooth and class-based nature of the game?
>>
>>54122325
Something that might be doable is is some sort of racial quality, like infra-vision or immunity to charms and then add aptitude for a skill, bumping a 1 out of 6 chance to 2 out of 6 (like elven listen).

If you want more structure around this idea, ACKS has pretty good guides on how to make your own class which would let you do this very easily.
>>
File: Table of Races.png (105KB, 1223x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Table of Races.png
105KB, 1223x1148px
>>54122178
>Post Weird Class Edition
I still think the Summoner is pretty dang weird. You could be a guy with a dagger and the ability to summon a giant pink faceless pig and an arrowhead that finds newborns. That's it. That's your class.

>>54122325
>https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-class-summoner.html
I think it's fun, but the effects I use are really minor. Races get to reroll 1 Stat at character creation and pick the highest result. They also get a minor bonus and a minor downside. It makes character creation interesting.
>>
>>54122325
I don't like raw benefit. I prefer them to be tradeoffs (when I don't use race-as-class, ie, in OD&D). That way I don't have to salt the XP requirements or use level limits, which are one of the few truly terrible rules in the LBB.
>>
>>54122434
>>54122457
>>54122500

What if race is purely cosmetic instead?
>>
>>54122325
I just don't like races giving flat bonus or penalties to stats.
>>
File: 1492224419438.png (2MB, 2747x728px) Image search: [Google]
1492224419438.png
2MB, 2747x728px
>>54122566
Then that is also fine? Pick whatever you'd prefer for your games, your group, and your system.
>>
>>54122599
So give them special abilities and non-stat penalties. Better yet, do race as class.
http://udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/09/foes-of-wicked-city-6-blue-folk.html
http://udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/08/foes-of-wicked-city-5-children-of-pines.html
>>
>>54122500
If everyone has similarly modeled special abilities, then effectively it is a trade off. Imagine if the elf magic-user has a 2 in 6 listen at doors and immunity to charm, the dwarf magic-user has 2 in 6 stone craft and infravision, and the meerkat-man magic-user has can dig without tools and has a 2 in 6 history of notable families, then it is a matter of side-grades instead of upgrades,

>>54122566
I don't have a problem with it, but that's the not what the what the question asker said.
>>
>>54122814
>If everyone has similarly modeled special abilities, then effectively it is a trade off.
Sure, of course. But it leaves the issue of humans, plus it's a tiny bit of power creep. (Not enough to matter, but enough to trip my autism.) I just prefer stuff like "can smell magic, but can't be affcted by healing magic", or the more complex tradeoffs that Brass Man class has.
>>
>>54114841

Cool idea. But then what would 1 encumbrance value of books be worth? Like, could you go buy yourself a library? Or what?
>>
>race and class
>not making race as class but every class as a race
>different weird gonzo cultures have class specific values to them. Magic users are part of a racial group that is fragmented and kept around for their arcane powers, Fighters are all blonde haired northerners or bronze-skinned demigods, Clerics are some fat sun worshippers that aren't even related to the above groups, etc.
>>
>>54123920
>not using race and class with all races being the old classes and all new classes being completely different
>>
File: melissa.jpg (127KB, 500x697px) Image search: [Google]
melissa.jpg
127KB, 500x697px
OSR = LotFP

It's pretty much the only OSR definition that makes sense.

>>54122178
> GP for XP or SP for XP?
SP
>>
>>54122178

>Gold for XP
>Silver for XP
>Not copper/clay/cheapest coin denomination for XP

Too many plebs on /osrg/ today.
>>
>>54124372
>OSR = LotFP
>It's pretty much the only OSR definition that makes sense.
But that's just wrong.
>>
>>54122178
What is your image from? Tried searching for it.
>>
What are some good tools for making grid maps?
>>
File: pierre-bertin-deathknight-low.jpg (404KB, 1527x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pierre-bertin-deathknight-low.jpg
404KB, 1527x1200px
>>54124779
Don't take the bait.

>>54124634
It's... an arbitrary distinction?
>>
>>54124780
Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai
>>
>>54124372
OSR=Pathfinder since Pathfinder is the only retroclone that's truly widely played.
>>
>>54124372
>OSR = LotFP

Everyone seems to have moved onto GLOG instead.

In fact these threads are getting more cliquey with all the blogs and stuff. It's not strictly a bad thing and I like the content, but what about products and people that AREN'T coinsandscrolls/goblinpunch/occultesque?
>>
>weird class edition
Hey so on a now-defunct OSR blog site (I think maybe Monstrous Television?) there was an Annelidist class - the Tenra Bansho Zero class that has powers from parasitic insects that infest his/her body. I really liked it but I didn't save it, does anyone have it?
>>
>>54125326
Here's this big ole list of classes too:

awizardskiss.blogspot.co.nz/2013/02/flailsnails-compatible-race-class.html
>>
>>54125346
Dead link is dead.
Everywhere else I checked also just linked there.

>>54125326
And neither Google Cache View nor WayBackMachine have it archived.

I'm not going to say "it doesn't exist anymore," but if it does it's on some dude's harddrive.
It's certainly not on the internet.
>>
>>54125292
>Everyone seems to have moved onto GLOG instead.
It's just what it looks like because most of the conversation that's productive of content right here, right now is connected to GLOG. Occultesque Anon's tables don't seem GLOG-adapted to me, though. I'm pretty sure the 50-classes table he made (I think, anyway) and that someone reposted last thread are adapted for B/X, for example.

Personally I don't like discussing the stuff I've created for my OD&D game because I want to stay anon even in the off chance one of my players goes here. But I enjoy the OD&D vogues in /osrg/ enough to know that they've happened, and to hope they will again. This is another one of those.

(If you want discussion of other stuff, why not write some? Bust out some new spells for BECMI or anything you like, post it!)
>>
File: geas.jpg (208KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
geas.jpg
208KB, 760x596px
>>54125500
>because I want to stay anon even in the off chance one of my players goes here.
I was worried about that at first, but then I decided "fuck it", gave my players a direct link to my blog, and let 'em go nuts. It's not like they're going to read it anyway.

If you've got content you feel like posting, post it.

Also,
>>54125292
looking at it, about 1/3rd of the stuff I post is GLOG-specific. Most of it is systemless.
>>
>>54125500
>If you want discussion of other stuff, why not write some?

I'm terribly uncreative, I'd rather see what other people have made. However, a lot of cool stuff passes me by for months since there's no concentrated OSR community or news source.

http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-wreckers.html
http://savevsdragon.blogspot.com/2017/06/d30-feature-of-week-d30-burial-urns.html
http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/2017/07/d100-treasure-defences.html

Just a few decent articles I've come across recently that aren't about Tomb of the Serpent Kings. The Brass Men class in the last thread was really cool too.

As for published products, I have no idea how to find new releases. I'm basically dependent on tenfootpole.org telling me what to buy.
>>
>>54125292
>coinsandscrolls
Just from checking, I assume this is the same person as was random gen'ing byzantine rulers ITT? The most recent blog post is basically identical but for Franks.
>>
>>54125628
Yup, that's the one.
>>
>>54125500
>This is another one of those.
This was much less clear than I had intended. What I meant was, the GLOG-heavy talk at the moment is due to a vogue for the system since it's solid and different especially in its magic system, but still recognizably OSR.

As an addition, it's a damn sight better than the "fuckass trolls" period that immediately preceded it.

>>54125581
>I was worried about that at first, but then I decided "fuck it", gave my players a direct link to my blog, and let 'em go nuts.
This is more about my autistic dedication to the ideal of "you don't talk about 4Chan". Oldfag gonna oldfag, I guess, even though I know damn well that tons of popular shit got its start by some Anon doodling with it here and then dropping anonymity.

>>54125606
>I'm terribly uncreative, I'd rather see what other people have made.
That is a problem, but beggars can't be choosers.

>a lot of cool stuff passes me by for months since there's no concentrated OSR community or news source
I thought Tenkar's Tavern tried to be that? I can also recommend Jeff Rients' blogroll as something to check frequently if you want to keep tabs on the OSR. Plus, Jeff's updating again, so that's cool.

>The Brass Men class in the last thread was really cool too.
I agree, it's great. As soon as I have the time I'm going to bash through that guy's whole Clockpunk tag to see what the technology skill is all about, and so on.

Have you had a look at Dungeon of Signs? I can recommend it if you haven't. I think I'm not wrong in calling that guy a semi-obscure producer of great ideas. (I wish he'd publish full and clear rules for his HMS Apollyon system, though. Lots of intriguing character stuff added onto a base of OD&D that he's never bothered to explain AFAIK.)
>>
>>54125788
>4Chan
>C
>>
File: Summon Outsider.jpg (281KB, 900x703px) Image search: [Google]
Summon Outsider.jpg
281KB, 900x703px
>>54125788
>This is more about my autistic dedication to the ideal of "you don't talk about 4Chan".
The problem is that, if only shitty people learn about this site, the content will stay shitty. It's a vicious cycle. But yeah, no need to direct them /here/. Start a blog or something or just post content for the rest of us to enjoy.
>Dungeon of Signs
Seconding. There's a ton of great osr stuff being produced.
>>
>>54125813
I know, I know. I've been getting shit for that the whole way here, but for some reason I keep typing it like that and never catch it until I've already posted.
>>
>>54125836
I admit that there's a problem in that refusing to post my OC to stay unidentified means less content in the threads. I try to help out and add stuff whenever I come up with anything, though.
I wrote those BECMI versions of the first few Orthodox spells that you GLOGified, for instance, Razor Spiral and that.
>>
File: TG is a Shit Wizard.png (180KB, 728x2096px) Image search: [Google]
TG is a Shit Wizard.png
180KB, 728x2096px
>>54125951
Thanks man, those were pretty good! I bet you were responsible for a few of these too.
>>
File: domo_kun.jpg (37KB, 520x440px) Image search: [Google]
domo_kun.jpg
37KB, 520x440px
>>54125581
> gave my players a direct link to my blog...
Does anyone have a blog where everyone in the group can post?
>>
File: Horrible New Monsters.jpg (3MB, 2082x4346px) Image search: [Google]
Horrible New Monsters.jpg
3MB, 2082x4346px
>>54126221
>Does anyone have a blog where everyone in the group can post?
I mean, they do post comments. Well, comment. One. So far.

But I've seen that work out pretty well for a few formats/games.
>>
>>54126221
I think the ACKS guys used to do something of that sort back when they were playing B/X and actually posting shit, years ago. Some good play reports IIRC.

>>54125987
I honestly don't remember. Could well be, but that's more of a laugh than something you have to work on, even for a few minutes.
>>
File: It is I.gif (493KB, 500x228px) Image search: [Google]
It is I.gif
493KB, 500x228px
Anyway, because I've barely spammed my stuff at all in this thread, and /osr/ can't go a full day without glorious new OC:

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-class-thieves.html

My notes on the thief class for the GLOG. The whole thing is reasonably system-agnostic, especially the background table. There is also a new /unique/ cantrip, just for that one anon last thread.
>>
>>54126341
>5. After acquiring 100gp, your fellow bandits agreed to split the treasure in a very odd way. You start with 1gp, the "Logic" skill, and a strong distrust of other outlaws.
KEK
>>
I'm still new to making dungeons and stuff. How should I make a prison my PCs can break out of?
>>
>>54126575
>>
>>54126575
Thick door leads to a 3 foot wide walkway with several barred cells with large gaps. The talkative guard sits on a stool at the end of the walkway. The keys are normally stored in an empty cell's lock, but all the cells are in use. The guard has them in his hands for once, he has no pockets.
>>
>>54126575
If there's a Thief in the party: the party have been deprived of all items and thrown in the oubliette (or lowered, more likely). However, Thieves are able to scale sheer walls and even overhangs without equipment at a high probability of success. There is no lock on the hatch, as a 30' drop is enough to keep anybody from opening it (or so it's assumed). A clever Thief can hide, shout or just wait for the guard, steal the dagger out of his belt and cut his throat with it, then fish out the other PCs at leisure with rope. (Perhaps he doesn't even need to kill anybody and can just throw the rope down, the group subsequently overpowering any guards with fists and numbers.)

Of course, if the Thief's player is retarded this leads to the party being permanently oublietted at the start of the game, which is a touch iffy.
>>
File: tenor.gif (661KB, 503x200px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
661KB, 503x200px
>>54126552
>KEK
Glad you liked that.
>>
>>54124784
Anyone? Making the map directly on roll20 seems like a pain and I wanted to make it look "old-school" somehow
>>
File: 1497819099074.jpg (79KB, 750x1332px) Image search: [Google]
1497819099074.jpg
79KB, 750x1332px
>>54127807
Does this meet your needs? https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper

Also, this does seem like something that might be solved by a few furious google searches...
>>
>>54127500
Are you teleport spells (General) or an orderless school where every wizard stomachs the "MD return only on a 1" for the first 8 casts?
Also, what are the order-dependent starting items for Elementalists, Animists, and Drowned Wizards?
>>
File: Hair Wizard.jpg (735KB, 1920x2240px) Image search: [Google]
Hair Wizard.jpg
735KB, 1920x2240px
>>54127943
I don't think any one school has teleport spells on their starting list, so they'd fall under the heading of "non-school" spells. MD would only return on a 1 for the first 8 casts.

I'm literally rewriting wizards right now, so, if you're willing to wait 2-3 hours, you'll see the full list of items. However, if your class doesn't give you a starting item, it doesn't give you one. Animists, Elementalists, and Drowned Wizards get nothing specific.
>>
>>54127943
Yup, that looks good. Thanks anon
>>
>>54128250
Meant for >>54127819
>>
>>54125500
>50 classes table
Not me! For what it's worth, I don't use GLOG either, my main OSR jam is S&W White Box.
>>
>>54128435
Cool! My mistake.

>my main OSR jam is S&W White Box.
Awesome, but why not just use LBB OD&D?
>>
>>54128560
Because those are a pain to reference
>>
File: tano-bonfanti-egypt-god-final3.jpg (582KB, 1920x2714px) Image search: [Google]
tano-bonfanti-egypt-god-final3.jpg
582KB, 1920x2714px
Pls offer comments on my condensed rewrite of the GLOG magic system.

You gain +1 Magic Die and +1 Spell Slot for each Wizard template you possess, to a maximum of 4 each.

Spellcasting
Spells are creatures. Angels, demons, spells, enchantments, ghosts, and souls are all more or less the same. Most spells are about as intelligent as a ferret, but they grow and mature just like any living thing. An ancient mage's spells are often as crafty and subtle as their caster, though a spell's mind and goals are still alien.

A wizard's spellbook is a prison or a menagerie. Spells are locked inside, ready to be taken out and loaded into the wizard's brain. A well-trained brain is a mind-gun, loaded each morning with spell-bullets. Minor spells, called cantrips, infest the wizard's soul and bind to it. You can imagine them as extra, mutated limbs, except stuck to the soul and not the body. Spells can be bred and trained.

Wizards train in self-delusion, meditation, and other esoteric techniques to modify their own minds to make them more accommodating to spells, and to tap into the raw magic that suffuses the world. A wizard's mind is a dangerous place. For every 10 students who enter the grand College of Elderstone, only 3 emerge alive and sane.

It takes 1hr to move any number of spells from your brain to or from a scroll, spellbook, or wand.

To cast a spell, select a number of MD, roll them, and add the numbers together. Most spells depend on the number of [dice] invested and the [sum] they show. If you roll doubles, see the Mishap section. If you roll triples, see the Doom section.
>>
File: tianhua-x-.jpg (258KB, 1000x1736px) Image search: [Google]
tianhua-x-.jpg
258KB, 1000x1736px
>>54129214
Dice that roll 1-3 return to your casting pool and can be used again that day. Dice that roll 4-6 are removed from your casting pool for the day. Your spells return at sunrise to last location they were imprisoned, when the octarine light of the sun touches the world and infuses Creation with an extra boost of raw magic. Your MD return if you get a good night's sleep. If you didn't sleep well, you can Save for each MD to have them return to your pool anyway.

Spellbooks

A solid volume, with thick vellum pages and a sturdy cover. Each school produces its own style. Inside, special runes and symbols trap spells inside cages of crystalized thought. Each book contains 10 spell slots. Some spells must be stored across several pages for safety, so the books contain more than 10 pages, and have plenty of room for notes, ledgers, or sketches. Spellbooks start in a waterproof, acid- and fire-resistant bag. Outside the bag, they are not waterproof. They are flammable. And they are also valuable - each book is worth 10gp even if it contains no spells.

Scrolls
A page from a spellbook, effectively, but with some extra magic built in. If you cast a spell from a scroll, you can choose to burn the scroll. If you do, add +1 MD to your roll. This MD does not return to your pool. A blank scroll is worth 1gp.
>>
File: tano-bonfanti-final.jpg (702KB, 1920x2840px) Image search: [Google]
tano-bonfanti-final.jpg
702KB, 1920x2840px
>>54129223
Wands
Wants are like scrolls, but customized for quick use, concealment, and rapid deployment. A wand has a number of "charges", or banked MD. You can spend these MD when you cast a spell from a wand, but you can't add in your own MD. These MD do not return to your pool (or the wand's pool). It takes the standard 1hr to load a spell from your brain or spellbook into a wand. You can choose, when you move a spell, to also invest 1MD into the wand. You can only do this once per day, and you take d6 damage from the strain. The MD invested in the wand is permanently added to the wand's charge. Most wands can only accept 4 banked MD and 1 spell. Larger wands, called staves, can hold up to 6 banked MD and up to 3 spells. Wands are traditionally made from the wood of lightning-struck trees.

Identifying Magic
Wizards can naturally smell magic in the air. By tasting, rubbing, or closely inspecting an item, you can tell if it is magic. You may need to test the item to determine what type of magic. You can test Intelligence to see if you can learn anything else about the item without testing it.

Mishaps
If you roll doubles while casting a spell, roll on your school's mishap table. Unless otherwise specified, the spell still works. Magic is dangerous; this was just a hiccough or misfire.

Dooms
If you roll triples while casting a spell, one of your school's Dooms takes effect. Each school has 3 dooms. The third doom is invariable fatal or worse. All wizards walk a dangerous path. The burn their soul like a candle, and in doing so, court damnation.

And that's it. Thoughts? Does it make sense? What bits are unclear?
>>
>>54129214
>select a number of MD
what is MD?

I would make it clear:
>You gain +1 Magic Die (MD) and +1 Spell Slot...

> select a number of MD, roll them, and add the numbers together. Most spells depend on the number of [dice] invested and the [sum] they show. If you roll doubles, see the Mishap section. If you roll triples, see the Doom section.
What happens if you roll quads?

>>54129252
>A wand has a number of "charges", or banked MD. You can spend these MD when you cast a spell from a wand, but you can't add in your own MD.
Just call it charges, make it less confusing imo
>>
>>54129252
Does rolling triples banked in a wand or staff trigger a doom?
>>
>>54129214
>Spells are creatures. Angels, demons, spells, enchantments, ghosts...
>A wizard's spellbook is a prison or a menagerie...
>Wizards train in self-delusion, meditation, and other esoteric techniques to modify their own minds...
Flavor text could go before or after the class presentation, not in the middle, as it makes it easier for reference
>>
>>54128560
One of the reasons I prefer White Box is that when you tell people that you're going to play with the LBB's, there's lots of questions about supplements. You end up having to set more ground rules.

>Are we using Chainmail? Outdoor Survival? Is it set in Greyhawk?

White Box is a bit more self explanatory, and it's a cleaner presentation. Mechanically? Both are fine. It's all derivative from the same base.
>>
Thanks guys.
>>54129463
>what is MD?
Defined earlier in the class
>You gain +1 Magic Die (MD) and +1 Spell Slot...
Identical line is included in the... bit I didn't copy here. >_<

>Just call it charges, make it less confusing imo
Ehhh, I'm not convinced yet, but I'll think about it.

>What happens if you roll quads?
Just a regular Doom, as-written. I'd personally run it as a very severe, worst-case-scenario Doom. Doesn't seem worth making rules for.

>Does rolling triples banked in a wand or staff trigger a doom?
Yup.

>Flavor text could go before or after the class presentation, not in the middle, as it makes it easier for reference
Not entirely sure I agree, but it's certainly debatable. The system is so darn simple that, once read once, it rarely needs to be referenced again. Even my new, non-video-game players got it right away.
>>
>>54129503
"Supplements are bad, you were only supposed to use Outdoor Survival for the map, and does this look like a map of Greyhawk to you?"
>>
>>54129550
also lol,
>using chainmail combat
>>
>>54129535
>Does rolling triples banked in a wand or staff trigger a doom?
>Yup.
What if you aren't a wizard, but a fighter wearing magical robes? What doom would you get?
>>
>>54129622
It might be extra work when creating them, but it would be cool if each wand had its own unique doom.
>>
File: 1496100650179.png (1MB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1496100650179.png
1MB, 706x1000px
>>54129649
That would be a lot of work, and since the dooms are tied to your soul, not your tools, it'd be weird too.

>>54129622
You don't need magical robes in this version. You just use the MD banked in the wand.

I'm rewriting it so that, if you aren't a spellcaster and you use a wand, you get Mishaps from the wand's creator's/owner's/recharger's school, but if you get a Doom, it's the Third Doom of that school (and fatal).
>>
File: Homunculus.png (870KB, 1908x1222px) Image search: [Google]
Homunculus.png
870KB, 1908x1222px
Haven't read the above yet, because I was busy doing this.
I'll go read that now. Not sure how relevant this is anymore.
>>
>>54129622
The wand casts fist on you.
>>
>>54129214
>For every 10 students who enter the grand College of Elderstone, only 3 emerge alive and sane.
How many graduate?
>>
File: 1491121165669.png (854KB, 700x771px) Image search: [Google]
1491121165669.png
854KB, 700x771px
>>54129942
>How many graduate?
Now, see, you're one of the ones paying attention. Good work. You are going to go far.
>>
>>54129252
>You may need to test the item to determine what type of magic. You can test Intelligence to see if you can learn anything else about the item without testing it.
*You may need to use the item (or test Intelligence) to determine the type of magic.

>>54129463
>Just call it charges, make it less confusing imo
I would advise the opposite. Drop the word "charge" to make the mechanics clearer.

>>54129466
Yes, but for the wand or staff. Which, as trees struck by lighting, are themselves wizards.
Presumably, you have to take care of wands and staves like houseplants so they won't die.
>>
>>54130040
>you have to take care of wands and staves like houseplants so they won't die.
Come to think of it, you probably have to do the same for apprentices.
>>
File: 1492901026716.jpg (816KB, 1920x2355px) Image search: [Google]
1492901026716.jpg
816KB, 1920x2355px
>>54130040
>Which, as trees struck by lighting, are themselves wizards.
Trees struck by lighting that survive become wizards. Dead ones, or wizard trees you kill, become useable for magic wands. Carve a dead dragon into armor and swords. Carve a dead wizard tree into wands, spellbook covers, walking furniture...

>>54130074
Exactly.
>>
>>54129503
>White Box is a bit more self explanatory, and it's a cleaner presentation.
That's a fair cop. I pity the fool who even considers not using Chainmail combat, though. It's so obviously superior it's not even funny.
>>
File: 1000DegreeKnife.png (336KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1000DegreeKnife.png
336KB, 1200x675px
>>54130381
>>54129554
>>
>>54129214
>Spells are creatures.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Wizards to shamans, cucking them without having any magic of their own is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
File: 1450155029440.png (41KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
1450155029440.png
41KB, 500x260px
>>54130572
>>
File: 1253242663158.jpg (47KB, 604x457px) Image search: [Google]
1253242663158.jpg
47KB, 604x457px
>>54130572
>Swords are objects.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Fighters to tool-users, cucking them without having any claws of their own is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
File: 1478860101374.jpg (108KB, 500x321px) Image search: [Google]
1478860101374.jpg
108KB, 500x321px
>>54130572
>Clerics follow gods

And dropped.I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Clerics to god-botherers, cucking them without having any powers of their own is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
File: Kidnap Devil.jpg (87KB, 471x512px) Image search: [Google]
Kidnap Devil.jpg
87KB, 471x512px
>>54130572
>Player characters are sentient beings
And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing the play agent to a cutout stand-in, cucking them without allowing them to play primal forces of natural is pretty lame tbqh
>>
File: 3c8.jpg (273KB, 778x1036px) Image search: [Google]
3c8.jpg
273KB, 778x1036px
>>54130572
>Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Jews to merchants, cucking them without having any intrinsic wealth is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
File: Shakespearian Insult Kit.png (57KB, 466x636px) Image search: [Google]
Shakespearian Insult Kit.png
57KB, 466x636px
>>54130572
>Objects obey gravity
And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing objects to mere weight, cucking them without having any levitation of their own is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
File: saitama oll korrect.png (124KB, 540x527px) Image search: [Google]
saitama oll korrect.png
124KB, 540x527px
>>54130572
>Hirelings are creatures.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Characters to individuals, cucking them without having any amalgamate form is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
>>54130572
>Things are

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing things to exist, cucking them with acknowledgement is pretty lame tbqh
>>
>>54130755
The jagged sensation rippled up through my spine. The bullet had slipped in through my back, and I felt my body go slack. I had a lingering sense that every inch of flesh was going numb, even as a cold sweat started. I heard my own voice cry out, pathetic and jumbled.

The man who held the revolver stepped out in front of me as I slumped forward. He watched as my body - still in the middle of a spasm - pressed forward and began to slip into the gap between my chair and desk.

"Money can be exchanged for goods and services."

Mrs. Turnley, economics 101. The flashback felt out of place as I stared into the barrel of that death-dealing weapon.

"Money can be exchanged for goods and services."

It was a universal law, bubbling up to the forefront of my thoughts. I did not fear death. I could feel the weight of that immutable principle bearing down on me in. Money. Exchanged. Goods and services.

I could hear my voice proclaiming this fact loudly, spittle clinging to my lips and chin as I shouted this truth to the world. Even as the hired gun pulled the trigger, all I could think of was that Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
>>
File: Rookies.jpg (92KB, 680x836px) Image search: [Google]
Rookies.jpg
92KB, 680x836px
>>54130572
>Rolling for damage.
And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this system. Reducing players to gamblers, cucking them without having any control over the game is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
>>54130572
>Adventures eat rations.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Tomb Robbers to pack mules, cucking them without letting them stay in the murder hole forever is pretty lame tbqh.
>>
>>54122178
Gems for XP.
http://www.paperspencils.com/2012/01/15/gary-gygax-the-jeweled-man-and-letting-your-players-fail/
>>
So anyway we got any ideas on how much moola "the third door on the right is trapped don't open it" is worth yet?
>>
>>54131311
The reason I care about this btw is it seems like if you had a megadungeon so big multiple adventuring parties were going into it there would develop a market for information about the dungeon and I thought that sounded kind of neat but had no idea how to assign market values to rumors so here I am.
>>
>download and read Keep on The Borderlands.
Mentions a cleric character who is called a curtator and wont bless anyone not following his faith
>see module in store
>curtator is now a priest and will bro out with you, wont talk religion at all and heals anyone

What the fuck? Whats the reasoning for this? This is the 1981 print.
>>
>>54132067
The priest and curate are different npcs. Keep reading.
>>
>>54127807
If you screencap any random (plain) dungeon off donjon.bin.sh, you can select a borderless tile in MSPaint and copy/paste it into a new image file, or just select around it and crop everything else. Then when you want to make a map, bring up that tile png and copy-paste your way to freedom.
>>
Last thread suggested s&w white box for beginner osr. What's different about white box and core, and what's different between the different editions in the trove?
>>
What's the ideal ratio of empty to monsters to loot to traps to tricks in your opinion?
>>
>>54130621
>>54130644
>>54130652
>>54130755
>>54130769
>>54130795
>>54130798
>>54130824
>>54130912

>le I copy ur post and change a word to male fun of you xd

Nice same fag. I don't give two shits if you meme me, but it changes nothing. Wizards who have magical creature spells have fundamentally different fluff and 'feeling' then Wizards who don't. It changes Wizards from being inscrutable masters of magic and supernatural force to little more then rangers with magic 'spell' pets. I used the word cuck very intentionally, the magic user isn't doing anything on his own. He's a pathetic, shitty weakling that's just having much more interesting and powerful creatures live in his head. I'm not the only person to dislike it, and for good reason.
>>
>>54124784
>>54127807
http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/

Click "favorite" at the top and change it to "Oldschool D&D" or "Black & white", draw your maps.
>>
>>54132598
Not that anon but this is one of the better dungeon drawer things I've seen online for sure.
>>
>>54132629
I wish it had a few more features, like an undo and a proper select tool, but it is the best I've used.

Has anyone bought the Studio version? How is it?
>>
>tfw not sure whether shitposting or GLOG spam is better
>>
>>54132449
>He's a pathetic, shitty weakling that's just having much more interesting and powerful creatures live in his head.

it sounds like his wizards still require a lot of training and mental fortitude, you sound a bit insecure on this point. not everything is about jerking off your pet class.
>>
File: 50 tavern specials.pdf (70KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
50 tavern specials.pdf
70KB, 1x1px
>>54125500
I'm the one who made the 50 class table.

I try to keep rules like that as generic as possible, so every DM around here can inject their own gross little houserules while I leave my obviously better ones out of the document, just to avoid jealously and friction.

Also; give me more requests. Anyone want any class writeups or 50 things tables?

This one was just made on a whim which I posted first in the last thread. The next time your players order the 'special' at a tavern, roll one of these.
>>
>>54133307
50 back-up demons to summon.
>>
File: Egyptian Pantheon.jpg (689KB, 1938x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Egyptian Pantheon.jpg
689KB, 1938x1000px
Does /osr/ like traditional generic fantasy pantheons of God of X and Goddess of Y or do you all do werido gonzo not!Catholic or West African Vodun shit?
>>
>>54133415
Yes
>>
>>54133415
I'm having not!slavic gods and not!christian. So not sure if that applies.
>>
>>54133415
I know it's kind of a meme but my setting is pretty gnostic. There are several levels of it though since gods can be on varying levels of power and reality.
>>
>>54132389
1/6 or at most 2/6 rooms should contain monsters, leaving out large monster lairs which span over several rooms (count those as one room for this rule of thumb). Most of the loot should be in the monster rooms. Empty rooms should either contain no treasure, small, concealed treasure, or be hidden rooms with significant treasure, possibly adjoining a monster room. (Hidden rooms can also be empty, of course, especially if they're passages between other areas, but you get the idea.) Trap and trick rooms should be 1/6 at most and for preference contain some treasure, although this depends a lot on the nature of the device employed. A stonefall rigged in a corridor by goblins should probably not have treasure; a complex puzzle that opens a hidden compartment in the floor should only NOT contain treasure if a previous PC group already looted it.

Those are my rules of thumb, hope they help. Adapt them as you see fit.

Oh, and to forestall the most obvious question: why should so many rooms be empty? Firstly because it gives a more natural feel; if there are monsters crammed in every hall and cupboard it ends up giving a very strange impression. Secondly because it improves the strategic options for PCs: scouting, retreat, luring into ambush and so on, and the added space also leaves room for wandering monsters.
>>
>>54133415
I don't even do weirdo gonzo not!Catholics, to be honest; my LBB game has totally un-weird historical-style not!Catholics except with miraculous powers. They're the only Lawful religion; everyone else in the entire world of the setting is either Neutral or Chaotic until such time as they convert, including the not!Jews, who USED to be Lawful but are now Neutral after losing the favor of God due to not converting when he updated the rules. Almost everyone who worships a polytheistic pantheon is Chaotic, or the gods in question are Chaotic anyway, as in cosmic terms they're not gods at all but parasitic demonic entities.
>>
>>54133654
I like it
>>
>>54133415
Typically various shades of not!Catholic with minority not!Jewish. Occasionally there are things like old gods and cults and such though (as antagonists).
>>
>>54133654
Oy vey, if I didn't know any betta I'd say that your setting sounds like it might be anti-Semitic!
>>
File: DOcWEDd.jpg (836KB, 2513x2064px) Image search: [Google]
DOcWEDd.jpg
836KB, 2513x2064px
>>54132783
>why not both.jpg

>>54132449
>Nice same fag
There are at least 2 of us.

>>54133415
>werido gonzo not!Catholic
I think you can just say not!Catholic. Catholicism is pretty nuts.
>>
>>54129942
>>54129965
Probably half a dozen, at least one of which is sane.
>>
>>54132449
>I only play hrdcore man wizards because I'm super virile
>>
File: Appendix A.pdf (936KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Appendix A.pdf
936KB, 1x1px
>>54134240
You can tell us apart even!
You weren't putting periods at the end of your greentext.

>>54132286
White box is pared down.

There aren't editions, there are printings.
Minor fixes aside, I don't think there's much difference?

>>54132389
>
>>
File: j4X7Zuq.jpg (35KB, 608x480px) Image search: [Google]
j4X7Zuq.jpg
35KB, 608x480px
>>54134677
Reminds me of the good ol' days.
>>54134703
You can tell us apart even!
My god, it's true.

>>54134325
>at least one of which is sane.
Dibs out.
>>
>>54124372
nah, bro. OSRIC is still king everywhere else but here.
>>
>>54134937
>everywhere else
Literally where?!
>>
File: AN01298857_001_l.jpg (165KB, 750x617px) Image search: [Google]
AN01298857_001_l.jpg
165KB, 750x617px
>>54134937
AD&D is king, OSRIC just holds up the sky.
>>
>>54134967
>4chan is the internet
Anon, I...
>>
>>54134937
>people actually play osric
ok, so in this universe it's the berenstain bears, africa has that indent at the top along the eastern mediterranean coast, firefly got one season while hyperdrive got two, and trump, brexit, and macron won. mind helping me narrow down the other divergences where you are?
>>
>>54134979
fair point. OSRIC is a pretty nice placeholder for actual ad&d books. I've not bothered to open one up ever since I bought a coil-bound A5.
>>
>>54135012
AD&D forums are mostly dead
>>
>>54134937
>>54134979
>>54135071
>>54135086
Is there a reason to use AD&D over OSRIC, barring interest in gygaxian prose? Honest question, I don't know much about it.
>>
>>54135071
Firefly was shit.
>>
>>54135630
OSRIC is harder to reference.
It also omits several rules.

Admittedly, only rules that conflict with other rules.
But you might have made a different call than the OSRIC compilers.
>>
>>54135630
AD&D has monks :^)
>>
>>54135630
I think the OSRIC equivalent of the DMG is [fucking nothing], for one thing. Given that the DMG is reliably cited as one of the main pros/advantages of AD&D that's quite bad.
>>
>>54135012
Is it possible to run "DIY D&D" with AD&D and it be good? AD&D does not seem complicated that much...
>>
>>54135839
>Is it possible to run "DIY D&D" with AD&D and it be good?
Of course it is, it's just not most people's go-to. Zak himself uses some sort of unholy hybrid of a bunch of different editions including 3E, IIRC.
>>
>>54136027
>including 3E
Eewww, really unholy
>>
>>54135682
It was ok and going downhill. Still gives me traveller feels.

And it was better than the proto-serenity crew in alien resurrection.
>>
>>54136027
>>54136105
He uses some kind of hacked 5e now, actually. Although that might just be a marketing thing since he helped make it.
>>
>>54136352
As far as I know he only helped on the DMG
>>
File: captainMetaphysicsPostmodern.png (1MB, 1000x3010px) Image search: [Google]
captainMetaphysicsPostmodern.png
1MB, 1000x3010px
>>54136352
>since he helped make it.
http://kaiserkabuki.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-end-of-cycle-and-new-hope.html
>>
>>54136511
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but your post does not make any sense
>>
Does anyone know what the gray rooms in Tomb of the Serpent Kings are supposed to represent? I genuinely don't get it. Skerples, if you're here, can you elaborate?
>>
>>54136511
Kabuki Kaiser has done some pretty good stuff, and Zak and his friends are pretty annoying, but that blogpost just bleeds of saltiness that his DIY productions don't get as much attention.
>>
>>54136511
>>54136687
People need to learn to separate designers and artists from their work. You can appreciate or criticize a man's work without having to drag his personality, opinions or behavior into the discussion. The best response to bullshit "OSR drama" is to ignore it and use or criticize whatever published or freely distributed material you like.
>>
>>54135630
It's AD&D as edited by Matt Finch and Stuart Marshall, and as such has some changes. As a trivial example it's missing several classes from the PHB.
>>
>>54136680
Most of those rooms are 47-52. This is the description for those:
>Dug through collapsed tunnels and rooms, or through natural caves.
So it probably means that they're cave tunnels rather than stone corridors.

Point 11 just signifies a pool.

35 does seem unfinished, since it references specific "raised tiles" which are not pointed out anywhere. It might just be gray to signify that the whole room is a trap.
>>
>>54136687
Agreed, it's some real megasalt. A lot of Zak hate seems to come from a place of envy, if I'm totally honest.
>>
>>54136687
It gets even saltier if you read the comments.
>>
>>54136945
Thanks a bunch, I was suspecting them to be natural caves, but 35 threw me for a loop indeed.
That made me notice that the description to 34 is missing. Did he ever errata that anywhere?
>>
>>54137019
It's a bizarre article.

The premise that LotFP's popularity is due to the fact that its creator has had sex is only mildly insulting, and the rest is baseless rambling. Maybe it's because I don't give a shit about the ennies or G+, but I suppose I'm not the intended audience for this weird doomsaying.
>>
>>54137019
This, goddamn.

>It worked because the new kids had clout from outside, they were doing porn, Art, stuff. And there were people there. And geeks went like «Wow, a geek who fucks», or gets fucked, whatever. So clout indeed. A clout that had nothing to do with the actual quality of their design, or creativity, and everything with their clout alone.

I didn't know who Zak S. was before I read his products, and they're damn good. This guy seems really fixated on Zak's popularity and lifestyle.
>>
File: 1485864022529.jpg (276KB, 927x702px) Image search: [Google]
1485864022529.jpg
276KB, 927x702px
>>54137100
There are a couple of little things that Skerples forgot to put in the pdf, but it looks like he forgot to put in room 34 on his blog as well. Someone should probably inform him of that.

Image added for visibility.
>>
>>54132598
Not that anon but is there a way to merge layers? Or to avoid every single "stroke" from becoming its own layer? I'm pretty sure it's taking millenia to save because I ended with over 60 layers
>>
>>54137246
There's a "Group" option in the Layers panel. It lets you drag layers into it and then if you select the group, you can move, duplicate, etc. groups as a whole (using the other icons).

For complex shapes like rooms with diagonals or lots of corners, I suggest using the Polygon tool over the Rectangle tool. Draw out a room or several rooms at a time, then add the walls and doors afterwards.
>>
>>54137343
Oh, thanks
>>
>>54137190
>The premise that LotFP's popularity is due to the fact that its creator has had sex is only mildly insulting, and the rest is baseless rambling.
Quibble: Zak didn't create LotFP. But that aside, I think the issue is that the dude is 40 and has like three smoking hot girlfriends in their twenties. Kaiser's probably younger yet hasn't slept with a hot woman in her twenties three times total, so he gets buttmad about the whole thing instead of regarding it as completely irrelevant to the work, as he ought to do.
>>
>>54137520
Ah, my bad, I'm not really keyed into that part of the OSR. Zak did Vornheim and some adventure stuff, Raggi did LotFP, right?

That said, I still think it's absurd to argue about their products using the sex life of the author as any basis - even if that's where Kaiser's coming from, it feels petty to slam him for it just like it's petty for him to drag it into a blogpost about Zak S.

Shit doesn't matter.
>>
>>54137650
>Zak did Vornheim and some adventure stuff, Raggi did LotFP, right?
That's correct. Zak's releases FOR LotFP have been some of the most popular and best-selling, but he didn't create the game itself.

>That said, I still think it's absurd to argue about their products using the sex life of the author as any basis
That's my exact point, though.
>>
If I'm looking to run a hexcrawl for the first time, are there any resources I should specifically look at? I'll probably use AD&D 1e, though I've never played or run OSR games before, so I'm open to other suggestions.
>>
>>54136511
I tell you what's really fucking weird about this even beyond all the other stuff people already mentioned is that he says
>MY OSR was Grognards, and punks
and then immediately shit all over Zak, who's probably the most genuine punk-subculture published guy in the OSR. Like, what?
>>
>>54137868
"Back in my day we had REAL punks, not these trash art-deco garbage-eaters who use their penises."
>>
>>54137822
This is a really good question -- I don't know if there *are* any specific products or PDFs focusing on how to run hexcrawls. There ought to be, but the closest thing I can think of offhand is the OD&D implicit setting PDF.

I bet Anon can give you a bunch of advice, though. Is there anything in particualr you're not sure about?
>>
>>54137215
I dunno to me it reads like he's saying everyone else is fixated on his lifestyle and cool factor and only he notices how the work is substandard. He's not entirely convincing that he has this supposedly objective viewpoint though given the amount of angry he's putting on the page.
>>
>>54137937
>Is there anything in particualr you're not sure about?
I'm just know starting to look into the idea, and right now I'm a bit drunk, so if there are any particular gaps in my knowledge, I'm not very aware of them right know. Obviously I'll have to worry about the map and what's in each hex and things like that, but if there's something specific that ought to be given more attention, that would be nice to know.

It's not the first time I've GMed(I've run - among other things - Pathfinder, Dungeons the Dragoning and Only War), but so far I've spent a lot of time improvising and I assume in hexcrawl I should have at least general idea of what's in most hexes by the time the party can reach them.
>>
Can the guy who made the B/X pdf (hrrr) post the raw text version? Would be so awesome!
>>
File: B&X.pdf (828KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
B&X.pdf
828KB, 1x1px
>>54137822
>though I've never played or run OSR games before,
This thread has a hard-on for Bx. Pic related.
You're fine to start with AD&D, but Basic is easier to get into.

There are some vocal GLOG shills.
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-glog.html

You may also want to look at LotFP... which is just Bx.

Best advice I can give you is how to make a hex map.

Sketch a normal map with terrain, then lay hexes over. Give each hex the first appropriate terrain type on this list.
Water - Swamp - Forest - Plain - Desert - Highland - Mountain

Write an encounter table for each terrain type, plus one for Towns and Cities.
If a patch of hexes has something unique about them, roll a few items and make replacements for the entries you roll.

Also there's a (Beyond the Wall, IIRC) cooperative world building thing. Use that.
>>
>>54137983
Dude's a bitch with mediocre content who's just mad other people with more pull did what he wanted to do.
>Only sometimes, I am half-tempted to create a movement. Like in a fashion or a rad, like writers in the United Amateur or the Parnassians in Paris. Except I'd do it all by myself. That's right, alone. A movement which would include people I love and people I argue with, people I support and people supporting my writing and each of these people would write in a different style, look different, create different things.

But then all these new art fags are fucking up his osr.
>>
>>54138170
Thanks!
>>
>>54138030
>I should have at least general idea of what's in most hexes
Random tables.
You can plop down setpieces, but make sure the PCs can learn where they are without stumbling into them.
If you put a setpiece *on* a table, remember take it off and add it to the current hex's notes once it gets rolled.
>>
>>54138170
Wolfpacks has some fairly neat stuff on detailing the wilderness and running wilderness-crawls. Might not be entirely what you're looking for, though.
>>
So I'm going try and run a dungeon crawl involving modrons and I was wondering if I get some pointers to help it along.

The premise is that the Far Realm was trying to pull shit again and somehow through chaotic fuckery ripped another hole somewhere in Mechanus. The portal spewing forth waves of disorder, creatures without sense, and seemingly unstoppable; the Modrons were forced to the unthinkable. They separated the corrupted sector and all the Modrons within from the Accordant Expanse, banishing them from their plane. Of course, this unfortunately sends the rogue sector to the plane of existence occupied by the PC's. They must now venture into the Cube of Chaos, slay the howling beasts and close the portal, before it's too late.

With that in mind, what do I do to make the room encounters/scenery interesting? Modron architecture is ratherorderly and clean, possibly not making for exciting locales. I have some ideas to spice things up lined up such as:

A room full of grinding massive cogs which they must cooperate to traverse through various means most likely involving parkour, magic or tossing. Alternatively they could try flying through on now thoroughly crazed Modrons dog fighting with flying abberations.

A pool of Modron Jelly, once used to fuel it's populace, is now a twisted parody. It is now a Gibbering Mouther of ridiculous size and boundless endurance. Might be a good way to introduce a sense of tension, as giant unstoppable single minded horror movie style monstrosities are wont to do.

An assembly line or similar type room where the PC's must take the roles of the now dead Modron workers in a fucked up game of simon says with an apparently unhinged Decaton.

That's all I have right besides good ol' combat encounters, you fellas have ideas that could help/improve the concept?
>>
>>54138213
I think that's a reasonable interpretation. I just wanted to point out that as far as his obsession goes he seems equally obsessed with saying Zak and Pals' new wave OSR stuff is low quality as he is with saying Zak and Pals are undeservedly perceived as too cool for school.
>>
>>54138170
>You may also want to look at LotFP... which is just Bx.

Hey! That's b/x with slot based inventory, guns, and a very overcomplicated summoning spell, thank you very much.
>>
What are everyone's favorite treasure tables and generators?
>>
>>54138550
Outside the books,
http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/tool_loot.php

For weirder stuff, The Dungeon Dozen has some great items and treasures,
http://blessingsofthedicegods.blogspot.com/p/dungeon-dozen-fan-index.html
>>
File: 1491117401222.jpg (268KB, 1000x629px) Image search: [Google]
1491117401222.jpg
268KB, 1000x629px
>>54137232
>>54137100
>>54136945
>>54136680

Gray just means "special area pay a little more attention."

35 and 34 do need edits. Sorry about that guys! Any other edits? I think room 14 is also missing, and I need to fix up the hammer traps a bit.
>>
>>54139326
Room 13 or 14 was on the blog but not in the pdf. I think you also forgot to describe a section of rooms in the lowest floor chapter.

And I guess that this is more of a design choice than a flaw, but I'm confused about the value of items in the dungeon. Sometimes the value is written out, and sometimes it's left vague. It'd be nice if there was a bit more consistency in that. Just my two cents.
>>
File: 1287533645296.gif (2MB, 382x369px) Image search: [Google]
1287533645296.gif
2MB, 382x369px
>>54139326
Also, sorry I keep fucking up the dungeon stuff. It's probably just because I have a cold right now, but I'm feeling extra depressed about it.
>>
>>54136511
>There are two adventures in it with barely understandable maps, tables that would been original in 1985, tidbits of rules which have been done before a hundred times and weren't the best
...What the fuck? Isn't this the *same guy* who wrote Ruins of the Undercity, Mad Monks of Kwantoom and Castle Gargantua? The guy whose *whole schtick* is to publish mildly revised and reskinned versions of the 1E DMG's random dungeon generation tables?
>>
>>54139601
Hey man, don't feel bad. I really like the dungeon and that's why I'm giving feedback. Take as much time as you need. Have a funny image.
>>
File: jabberwocky.jpg (260KB, 1174x1600px) Image search: [Google]
jabberwocky.jpg
260KB, 1174x1600px
I wrote up rules for a procedurally generated hexcrawl where almost everything on the hex map would be generated out side of a starting town, starting town, and a single road leading away from that starting town.
http://melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/07/cartesian-hex-map-notation-hexcrawls.html

>>54137822
>54138030
This may be of some use to you
>>
>>54139652
yeh but vornheim is SHIT and unoriginal because i said so
>>
>>54139652
something something projection pot kettle black
>>
>>54139601
Don't be down, you did some good work on it there. I'm doodling up the last level of my map version and it's been a blast so far.
I'm a bit curious about the missing room too now, but I'll just improvise it if it comes up.
>>
File: b6RqIFU.gif (7MB, 360x210px) Image search: [Google]
b6RqIFU.gif
7MB, 360x210px
>>54140077
I had to do a fair bit of that. Despite putting in 2 locked "treasure" rooms (29 and 45) I never really considered their contents until my PCs got into room 29. They leveled up twice... but little do they know that the treasure contains a subtle curse.

Also, >>54139675
heh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfKBfH0g_Hc

Anyway, we just finished the latest session of TotSK. Nobody died (this time!). Everyone leveled! They checked doors!

(And failed at it. And set off the Dumbest Goblin Trap Ever Devised), but it was fun.
>>
File: shock goblins.gif (997KB, 475x202px) Image search: [Google]
shock goblins.gif
997KB, 475x202px
>>54140325
The Dumbest Goblin Trap Ever Devised, for reference, was a wooden handle tied to a rope, also tied to a pile of metal trash (out of sight). When a player pulled the handle, the trash fell over, waking up the goblins, who then attacked with their cutlery-spears and their semi-tamed troll king.
>>
File: x003.jpg (7KB, 200x143px) Image search: [Google]
x003.jpg
7KB, 200x143px
>>54129942
here's the full comic
https://my.mixtape.moe/hwfahv.cbz
said I'd upload it the other day. apologize for the shit scans, the pages were too big to fit in the scanner. ill redo them some day.
>>
>>54135012
What is Gygaxian Naturalism?
>>
File: Stick of Truth classes.jpg (473KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Stick of Truth classes.jpg
473KB, 1280x720px
Do you let people play classes beyond the basic or core set? Do you help people make them up for your games or keep them settled and based on the setting?
>>
>>54141007
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gygaxian+naturalism
>>
>>54137822
The biggest risk of a hex crawl is things getting boring because [fucking nothing] is happening.
Make sure /every/ location or encounter has several hooks, so the players always have a destination.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book_archive
To any other confused Anons, CBZ opens as a ZIP.

>>54140886
That's amazing.
>>
File: 1447970040346 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
1447970040346 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
>>54142065
I make them up for the system, the setting, and my own personal tastes. I also don't have a very "let" attitude, if that makes sense. Character generation is collaborative and also fixed. You /can/ come in wanting to play an Elf Fighter, but the default is rolling for stats, race, class, and background.
>>
File: Vaginas Are Magic-compressed.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Vaginas Are Magic-compressed.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
>>
>>54143143

So when are we getting a book about penis magic?
>>
File: Penis Size Table.jpg (153KB, 856x851px) Image search: [Google]
Penis Size Table.jpg
153KB, 856x851px
>>54143165
Got it:
http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.ca/2017/05/d100-wizard-dicks-by-request.html
>>
File: Human wizard mspaint.png (9KB, 240x428px) Image search: [Google]
Human wizard mspaint.png
9KB, 240x428px
>think about starting an OSR blog and want interesting art
>think hey maybe I could just draw everything in mspaint, it'd be quick and easy right?!
>takes like 20 minutes to draw this shit and doesn't even look like a wizard more like a janky ass cleric

Just kill me senpai.
>>
>>54143165
Last paragraph of the introduction bro.
>>
File: austenfinal.png (87KB, 800x402px) Image search: [Google]
austenfinal.png
87KB, 800x402px
>>54143420
Honestly, that's not that bad. Needs a hat. Wizards need hats. Also, just practice a fuckton. Have you read any Kate Beaton?
>>
File: commit.png (690B, 46x96px) Image search: [Google]
commit.png
690B, 46x96px
>>54143420
lol dude just do shitty mspaint scribbles.

The worse, the better. Just look at all the mspaint class shit we've spewed out here on osrg.
>>
File: yoblin life cycle.jpg (56KB, 593x579px) Image search: [Google]
yoblin life cycle.jpg
56KB, 593x579px
>>54143420
Arnold K?
>>
>>54143535
It's true!
The more effort you put into something, you worse your returns!

>>54129855
>>
Rolled 15 (1d50)

>>54122457
>>
>>54125143
>pathfinder
>retroclone
>>
File: speclaist.jpg (571KB, 1944x1047px) Image search: [Google]
speclaist.jpg
571KB, 1944x1047px
>>54143575
Not gonna lie, the idea of playing a living spell is kinda neat, but I aint gonna read all that shit.
>>
File: 1494774229634.jpg (538KB, 1064x496px) Image search: [Google]
1494774229634.jpg
538KB, 1064x496px
>>54143584
Nice. You are an Elf, and therefore, better than everyone else: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-elves-and-elf-wizards.html
>>
File: 1490155150884.gif (5MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1490155150884.gif
5MB, 359x202px
>>54129855
I totally missed this.

I really like the idea, but I'm going to be honest, it's really confusing. This might be because I'm hopped up on sudafed though. I found my pants confusing earlier. But anyway, the effort is appreciated.
>>
>>54129855
>cites manga
>writes anime
This is some top tier bait.
>>
File: Human wizard mspaint.png (6KB, 240x428px) Image search: [Google]
Human wizard mspaint.png
6KB, 240x428px
>>54143526

I knew I was forgetting something. My new OC wizards; Peter Purplestripe. Do not steal.

>>54143535
>>54143554

Working on it.
>>
File: You don't find any traps....gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
You don't find any traps....gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>54143698
>Do not steal.
>>
File: 123.jpg (28KB, 240x490px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
28KB, 240x490px
>>54143698
>Do not steal.
:^)
>>
File: Pytor.png (6KB, 240x428px) Image search: [Google]
Pytor.png
6KB, 240x428px
>>54143698
Oh yes hello, it is I, Pytor Purplelines, and I too am a wizard.
>>
File: tl;dr.png (527KB, 1908x1222px) Image search: [Google]
tl;dr.png
527KB, 1908x1222px
>>54143690
Some dude on StackExchange made that table. I forgot to cite them.

https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/17657/is-the-human-body-composition-real
https://biology.stackexchange.com/users/8079/bobson

>>54143595
>
>>
File: 1499135096371.png (568KB, 1359x661px) Image search: [Google]
1499135096371.png
568KB, 1359x661px
>>54143847
>>
>>54144061
still too much effort
>>
>>54144105
t. Bx Fighter
>>
File: glyx.jpg (22KB, 376x521px) Image search: [Google]
glyx.jpg
22KB, 376x521px
My OC goblin
>>
>>54144085
I don't get it.
>>
>>54144279
this guy postin Jifs from tumblr but he dunt know bout jojo shitpostin
>>
>>54138030
I've always found one of the hardest parts of a hexcrawl to be making travel as interesting (and challenging) as the dungeoncrawl.

Still don't really know how to do it, so good luck with that!
>>
File: tg is very heretosexual.png (203KB, 1114x339px) Image search: [Google]
tg is very heretosexual.png
203KB, 1114x339px
>>54144302
So is JoJo the one that's basically... to Dragon Ball Z what those drag queen reality TV shows are to "pro" wrestling?

Because... I'm good, thanks. It looks like the target audience has a sexuality that's not mine.
>>
File: donut steel.jpg (86KB, 736x636px) Image search: [Google]
donut steel.jpg
86KB, 736x636px
>>54143802
Copyright (c) 2017 No.54144400

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.
>>
>>54144370
https://youtu.be/4YRhyWrbWfw
>>
>>54144355 c >>54142382
And you aren't hex crawling for the hexes.
Blow through those as quick as possible.
>>
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-condensed-spellcasting-rules.html
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-class-wizards.html

Version 2 of my Wizards post is up, now with proper cross-references, background tables, and formatting. Hooray!
>>
>>54144531
>And they are also valuable - each book is worth 10gp even if it contains no spells.
Doesn't the [Goblin Laws of Gaming] give 1 experience point per copper piece of loot?
>>
>>54143802
>>54143847
>>54144085

>just draw a wizard and add a dumb meme to it
>everybody memes even harder

What a nice /osr/ thread today.
>>
>>54143143
>Raggi talks about magic systems as though nobody had ever disliked Vancian casting and made a homebrew that doesn't work that way
>that edgelording about "begging you to run Alien"
Is this actual autism?
>>
File: SeanMurray_The_Party.jpg (237KB, 585x800px) Image search: [Google]
SeanMurray_The_Party.jpg
237KB, 585x800px
>>54144594
His version does, I think? I switched to a GP standard. 1 spellbook (if you loot it) is worth 1/20th of a level (at low levels; less as you get higher), which seems about right, I suppose?

>>54144649
What a nice /osr/ thread today.
I put Peter in my wizard post too.
>>
File: GMing.gif (999KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
GMing.gif
999KB, 500x275px
>>54144681
>Is this actual autism?
I think, and this is speculation, it might be humour, or an attempt at it. Some people like poop jokes. Some people think Raggi is funny. So it goes.
>>
>>54143802
>Coldiron the Hedge-Wizard
>>
>>54122457
God that foxling tho
>>
>>54144531
>Gain a scar (see the Death and Dismemberment table)
>(see the Death and Dismemberment table)
>Death and Dismemberment table
Please, Skerples, tell me you're making your own death and dismemberment table!
>>
File: jakub-rebelka-h02.jpg (362KB, 1920x1067px) Image search: [Google]
jakub-rebelka-h02.jpg
362KB, 1920x1067px
>>54145076
Of course I am. It's pretty much just Arnold's though with a few rules to make it more brutal.

>>54144929
Glad you like it.
>>
>>54143698
The hat needs to be larger and pointier.
>>
File: MonsterManual-Ki-Rin.jpg (44KB, 300x494px) Image search: [Google]
MonsterManual-Ki-Rin.jpg
44KB, 300x494px
Has anyone actually used a ki-rin in their games? Just curious.
>>
>>54144693
>I put Peter in my wizard post too.

I am immortal now!
>>
>>54145779
Qilin, and no.

>>54145789
But he wouldn't include your drawing.
>>
>>54145148
He needs to have a time machine, and whenever he's not around, all the other characters should ask "where's Purplestripe?"
>>
File: CaucasianAdventures.jpg (44KB, 400x601px) Image search: [Google]
CaucasianAdventures.jpg
44KB, 400x601px
>>54145914
>Qilin
If I wanted to be historically accurate, I wouldn't be using the AD&D Monster Manual.

>But he wouldn't include your drawing.
Dude can start his own blog for arts and then we'll see...
>>
File: Skerples fucks colons.png (2KB, 180x65px) Image search: [Google]
Skerples fucks colons.png
2KB, 180x65px
>>
File: tumblr_opzp8p4fnS1spo62lo1_1280.png (586KB, 1131x1757px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opzp8p4fnS1spo62lo1_1280.png
586KB, 1131x1757px
>>54146272
Correct. Section, Subsection, and Class. What's the big deal?
>>
>>54146294
Subsubtitles are the devil's work. Or possibly that of giraffes.
>>
File: Lyon_Knoll_and_Vigarde.png (19KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Lyon_Knoll_and_Vigarde.png
19KB, 240x160px
>>54132449
You do realize that most ancient magic took the form of invocations meant to influence gods, spirits, angels, or natural laws through the use of will and ritual right?

The very word "invocation" comes from "To invoke". The difference between the Magician and the Mystic is that the religious asks, the Magician commands.
>>
File: plague doctors.gif (822KB, 460x196px) Image search: [Google]
plague doctors.gif
822KB, 460x196px
>>54146395
How's your blog doing these days?
>>
>>54146407
Magician - magician
from Magicien - magician
from Magique - magic
from Magicus - magic
from μαγιkός (Magikós) - magic
from μάγος (Mágos) - "Zoroastrian Priest" (derogatory) or "Iranian from Media"
from ???? (Maguš) - dubious meaning, possibly a title
probably from *meh2gÊ°- - to help
>>
>>54146582
>Iranian from Media
Sorry, it actually refers to a specific tribe there.

On a very related side note, Zoroastrianism was formalized by the Median Empire.
Though, contrary to popular belief, Zoroaster probably wasn't a Median himself.
>>
>>54134240
Come to think of it, there were at leats 3.
I didn't post >>54130824.
>>
>>54146582
And that contradicts what i said how? The fact of the matter is that large chunks of ancient magic was in fact theurgy, the invocation of deities, spirits, or natural laws to perform certain effects either through commands and rituals, or through actual religious prayers and rites [blurring the distinction between magic and religion]
>>
File: 409.jpg (239KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
409.jpg
239KB, 600x620px
>>54146699
>And that contradicts what i said how?
>the religious asks, the Magician commands.
>>
>>54146737
Not inaccurate if we're assuming theurgical magic. A Hermetic Magus for instance is distinguished from another religious practitioner primarily by the fact that he is not asking spirits for help, he is ordering them to help.

There are theurgical and magical practices that involve invocation in a more servant-like and prayer-like fashion, but the traditions I was specifically invoking [namely, the western esoteric tradition that gave us 'wizards' as a concept] generally follows the command structure.
>>
>>54146780
>hermeticism
Yeah, that's about 2000 years younger than Zoroastrianism.

Rebrand MUs as Theurges or Hermeticists, or accept that their name comes from a type of Priest.
>>
>>54146867
1. Hermeticism has its roots in Gnostic and Egyptian practices.

2. What does the word Magi coming from a Zoroastrian priest have to do with the fact that the idea of the Wizard, the staff-holding wise man who commands the cosmos with words and rituals, was traditionally viewed as doing so through a process of invocation?

The general process of the sorcerer was to call up a spirit through flattering and numerous titles before binding it to his service through certain rites, after which he could command it as his leisure. Or else to command a particular spirit to perform a particular action through a spell formula.

Unless you're referring to my actual use of the term "Magician" as a descriptor of the western tradition of magic, and was contesting merely the technical origins of the word, in which case I call autism of the highest measure.
>>
>>54133415

Randomly generated pantheons, elaborated from there with followers, practices, rituals, &c. &c.

>Renenum, god of lies, lightning, and lakes and rivers
>Ziusun the Mad, goddess of hatred, fertility, and spiders
>Tristephes the Drowned, god of battle, passion, and tombs
>Wephthys the Endless, goddess of hedonism, beauty, and good fortune
>Kishum, god of gold, freedom, and the winds
>Djehes the Subtle, goddess of marriage, spiders, and storms
>Apet the Ever-changing, god of prosperity, chaos, and oceans
>Geshtina, goddess of darkness, the floods, and deception
>Pakhebkau, goddess of the winds, caverns, and marriage
>>
>>54146943
The word that threw me for a loop was
>You do realize that most ancient magic
>ancient
while describing the middle ages.
You must be a burger.

>roots in Gnostic
The Gnostics were weirdos who missed the point of the old testament.
>and Egyptian practices
And the Egyptian practices mostly involved porn and masturbation.

>was traditionally viewed as doing so through a process of invocation?
Fish up a quote from any bit of Arthurian Legend where Merlin practices invocation or theurgy.
>>
>>54147096
>Fish up a quote from any bit of Arthurian Legend where Merlin practices invocation or theurgy.
I'll be honest, I'm too tired to even tell which side of the argument you're trying to be on (and I'm also not Anon you were talking to), but Merlin getting messages from God is literally the majority of the magical shit he does in Malory. "God is angry at you for doing X", typically, whether it's "fucking your sister again" or "not laying off the Saxons".
>>
File: 1461141701840.png (220KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1461141701840.png
220KB, 500x372px
>>54143143
Why do the RPG community have to be infected with the current femenism movement ?
>>
>>54147328
You didn't read the PDF at all, did you. Admit it.
>>
>>54147333
I did read it, but why did they chose to label it the way they did ?
>>
>>54147333
Yeah i agree with him. It's rather pointless and outright stupid to limit spells to a gender. Never have any of the original spells been limited to a gender, even when the old grongnads wrote the books.
>>
>>54147403
>grongnad
Is that a wizard who casts spells with his nads?
>>
>>54147390
Same reason there's a spell in there called Volcanic Slut, presumably: so that people would get tremendously upset by trivial things and lose their shit online in high-visibility, publicity-generating ways.

Also I'm pretty sure Raggi just likes to piss people off.
>>
>>54147420
It's just a slan for an old veteran in the old school community that is manly used as an insult ...

Are you new to this board or general ?
>>
>>54147437
...it was a joke about the TYPO, you blind mong. It happened to be topical to the whole "vagina magic" thing. I know what a grognard is.
>>
>>54147462
Not him but are you against the poeple of mongolia?
>>
>>54147498
Isn't it an abbreviation for mongrel?

But yes, I'm opposed to all horse archers who want to shit up threads and/or Central Europe.
>>
>>54125292
I'd say that's mostly because /osrg/ has always been strongly more associated with weird/gonzo stuff - mainly because I feel it has very few other places to go. If you're a more medievalist minded GM who likes 1e/2e or just a more grounded B/X game there's still a lot of other resources out there you can adapt, but this is the main place on /tg/ where you can really get the weird stuff.

The Discord actually shows a bit of divergence from the threads too - you actually see more discussion on DCC and ACKS in there, I feel.
>>
>>54143143

>page 17
>you grow a giant goat cock

Do they think that's a big cock? They've obviously never seen furry porn.
>>
>>54147567
It's often used as a slang for mongoloid.
>>
>>54137822
https://arsphantasia.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/hexcrawl-resources/

These should get you started.

Also, I think it's really worthwhile to read Hill Cantons articles on using hex-crawls in the first place: http://hillcantons.blogspot.ca/2016/02/hexcrawls-vs-pointcrawls.html

Hex maps seem to be regaining favour in RPG groups nowadays but a lot of GMs still seem to adopt them without understanding the advantages they offer (namely, the ability to do 360-degree exploration in uniformly spaced steps). A lot of campaign contexts may not need or actually even want that ability, and the hexmap and hex procedure will just end up as unnecessary busywork if those features are not actually taken advantage of.
>>
>>54147633
No anon, it doesn't matter if goat cocks are big or small. The point is that you grow a giant one.

There is probably some sort of mythic conception of goats, satyrs, and virility that they're pulling from as well.
>>
sup teeg, in terms of youtoob channels, what do you want from a DnD related channel?

>reviews of RPGs
>videos of people playing RPGs
>discussion of history of RPGs
>stories of epic RPG habbedings
>discussions of rulesets, indepth
>discussions of literary inspirations of RPG rulesets, film inspirations etc

This is basically research, I want to do the youtoob but im such an OSRfag and I dont want my channel to just be a goodman games and Moldvay basic dicksuck fest
>>
>>54147934
>I dont want my channel to just be a goodman games and Moldvay basic dicksuck fest

Eh, pick one thing and stick with it, to be honest. You're not gonna become rich as fuck doing tabletop shit unless you're willing to do like two videos a week forever and virtue signal politics, which will allow you to be invited to various events that will allow you to boost your brand like matthew colville, and even then that guy only has 90k subs.

Just pick a niche you're into, there isn't, for example, a fuckton of people obsessed with goodman games products on youtube, so just going full tilt on DCC content/dicksucking will get you a nice little slice.

Stories of fun rpg things isn't new, but if you have a good skill for storytelling then take a look at the Counter Monkey videos because people liked that shit a lot.

Personally I can't stand watching people play RPGs but I'd probably watch a highlights supercut.
>>
>>54147934
>discussion of history of RPGs

mite b cool
>>
I think there is a completely unfilled niche on youtube regarding rpgs and that's rules discussion. Shit rules, good rules, how they work together. Rules analysis. You know the thread on that sjw board rpg.net about old school analysis. Stuff like that. Nothing at all on YT atm. I would gladly watch that.
>>
>>54148503

just analyzing rulesets, rules that do and don't work etc?
>>
>>54148524
Yeah. You know Wintersome? He came closest to what I mean. He doesn't make videos anymore.
>>
>>54148593
Nah. I just looked him up and he has around 150 subs but it seems like most of his shit is in depth discussion of how he plays DnD. Hm
>>
>>54125606
soogagames.blogspot.com is my favorite osr source, got me into the game

you'll get really good results by searching stuff like 'choice.' CMD's philosophy just cuts right through the bullshit. The industrial-era thing might not be up your alley but the content on refereeing, worldbuilding, compelling situations, & monsters is just great.

I hear there's a new ACKS supplement out for conan-like play. Bastionland is in the works.
>>
>>54147934
Don't do videos of people playing RPGs unless your party isn't neckbeards or SJWs. Also make sure you have good audio equipment. (Which you should do anyway, regardless of what you choose to do.) It also helps if you have good presentation and presence. That said, I'd really like to see actual play of OSR assuming it's not neckbeards or SJWs.

I have no interest in reviews over video, unless you have a transcript. In which case I will read the transcript and ignore the video, because I can read a lot faster than you can talk.

History *could* be all right. You'd have to be heavily into research though for that to have more than a few videos so that might be more work than it's worth.

I only really care about stories about your games if it's a game I haven't played and don't really have a good feel for. Most likely this is because I don't own it. In which case I don't care about "epic", I care about getting a good feel for the game.

Can't say about rulesets. Probably decent but not really something I'd watch regularly. I'd prefer text for that.

I have no interest in literary/film inspirations outside of a single text list of inspirations which I can then go and read/watch myself.

Here's some general advice:
- Don't expect to have subscriber counts in the double digits or higher.
- Longer series tend to have fewer people watching later on. For me, this is because for some reason I miss a couple or several episodes, and then the amount of watching I need to do to catch up becomes way more than I feel like putting in. For actual play, you may get good results by separating it into easily digestible chunks such as modules or expeditions, and reintroduce the characters for that expedition at the beginning of each expedition.
- Put out content regularly. Be ahead of time on your content so you have content to put up even if something happens.
>>
>>54149300
>Don't expect to have subscriber counts in the double digits or higher.

I'd probably make this quadruple. It's not hard to get double digits or even triple digits, I used to make low effort meme videos and capped out at around 600~ subs before I stopped updating.
>>
>>54122178
God, I want to fuck the one in the middle.
>>
How do you handle Ini ties in B/X-like games? I'll give the Ini to the players in my LotFP games because I think it's to fiddly to make it simultaneous. I would need to exactly know what every monster does before any PC acts, let them act and then do the monster actions. This can be a big overhead with monster abilities, many numbers, fliers, etc.
>>
>>54149400
Middle of which panel?
>>
In an interest to make my homerules a bit more aligned with the oldschool method, I switched up my ability scores to work in units of , going up.
>3-5 is -2
>6-8 is -1
>9-12 is 0
>13-16 is +1
>17-18 is +2
>19+ is +3

How do you rate these? Right now statistics basically say you only got about a 1.85% chance to get a +2 or -2 in any stat, but with every character getting 6 stats it's common enough to be seen but uncommon enough to make interesting characters.
>>
>>54149562
2nd and 4th.
>>
>>54148503
Why videos? I'd prefer this as an article that takes 5 minutes to read, instead of 15 minutes of someone talking into a webcam.
>>
>>54149495
Rather than roll a d6 for each side, I just roll a single d6, 1-3 players, 4-6 monsters. If I feel one side should have an advantage, I either let them go first, or I give them a 4 to 2 advantage on the die roll.
>>
>>54149615
Why is it easier to get a -2 than a +2? If anything, it should be the other way around. Bonuses tend to work better than penalties in D&D.
>>
>>54149789

It's actually meant to be 3-4, then 5-8. My mistake.
>>
>>54147934
I'd like actual plays of people at the table, ideally with 2 or 3 cameras and editing.

There are plenty of videos from Google+/Twitch but they're usually dull and unedited.

>>54149300
>Don't do videos of people playing RPGs unless your party isn't neckbeards or SJWs.

Also this. I did manage to find one full video of a group playing either Barrowmaze or Stonehell, one player had two characters and he spent uncomfortable amounts of time talking "between" them.

Get a good group, play some games, film it, and edit out the bad stuff.
>>
>>54147435
>Raggi
He's an idiot and an edgelord who occasionally publishes someone good.
>>
Raggi got you all talking about it and THAT'S THE POINT, you guys!

A shame the magic system has been done before, the spells are all garbage, and nobody will actually use them.
>>
>>54149891
19 breaks the pattern due to being superhuman? I think I'd just lump it in with 17-18. It's rare enough that somebody rolls an 18, but if you need to combine that with a racial bonus to get to next bonus rung, I'd just leave it be. Or are you playing a game without racial modifiers, and 19+ strength is just there due to gauntlets of ogre strength, and actual ogres and shit?
>>
>>54139770
That's pretty solid, dude. I've been meaning to make that sort of mechanism for a while myself.

A couple things that struck me as I was reading the article:

I notice that you generate where a road goes in each direction. But in the next table it can abruptly end. Is that intended behaviour? I can see why that would happen, like if there used to be a road but now it's grown over or destroyed or something, but I wanted to make sure I was reading it right.

Second, by the method you have, it's possible for a dedicated party who is aware of the rules to influence partially the terrain that you generate. See pic related. So you might not want to let them know about the rules if you think it would be a problem if they intentionally explored plains over any other terrain, particularly if you use some of the dangerous wilderness exploration rules I've seen about. I don't know as there's an easy way of fixing this and still having it usable at the table. But that's probably not an issue that's really a major concern. In fact, depending on your play style, that may be a benefit - it encourages players to travel by the safer routes rather than the dangerous ones. Not only because they are safer, but also because they bring about safer lands. It could also be a sort of difficulty measure in some respects. Like, the further into the forests you go the more dangerous it gets.

(As a side note, I didn't notice the first time - is Mountains 15-17 supposed to be Woods and not Plains?)

That hex coordinate system is pretty bank though. Haven't seen that one before. It's up there with cubic I'd say. Normally people always seem to use offset unfortunately.
>>
>>54149643
Why does anyone go to university lectures?
I like both reading and audio visual information.

>>54149760
That works well with only one monster group. More monsters and it doesn't work so well.
>>
Would I have problems running ACKS without proficiencies? Did they change B/X or someting?
>>
>>54149628
But those are completely different...
>>
>>54150371
>Why does anyone go to university lectures?

The first thing most of my lecturers told me to do was to buy their books, but I see your point.

Still, if it's a video I'd like screenshots of pages, worked examples, diagrams, animations, something visual. Otherwise it might as well be a podcast. Or an article.
>>
>>54150539
>Still, if it's a video I'd like screenshots of pages, worked examples, diagrams, animations, something visual.
I think the cool kids call that "video essay" nowadays.
>>
>>54150410
Not really, the girls are all in a line that remains consistent between panel 2 and panel 4, and the one I desire to copulate vigorously is the one in the middle of the line, the 4th girl regardless if you're counting from the left or right.

Do understand that the reason I desire her more than the others isn't some non-existent personality quirk, but due entirely to the fact her chest is larger than all the others. I love me some fat breasts.
>>
>>54150681
Huh?!
Are you sure there aren't any problems with your eyesight?
>>
Does anyone happen to have that 1d12 skill system document? Or maybe it was a blogpost. I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>54150032
presumably less than 3 is a -3 modifier, as well.
>>
If you were to run a super generic, short dungeon crawl would you bother making a town map? I'm thinking I may just make a list with things to do in town and let the players freeform anything else
>>
File: TotSK_Map.png (3MB, 2735x1821px) Image search: [Google]
TotSK_Map.png
3MB, 2735x1821px
>>54140325
Alright, here we have it, all 3 levels mashed together. The layout changed a tiny bit at some points because I thought it'd be easier to describe the room shapes to my table. Also using 10' squares, even though it makes the arena and basilisk hall quite spacious. Something about the inherent darkness and the ability of your foe to dive into the darkness was interesting, so I left them the that way.

Hope this may be of some use to someone.
>>
>>54147668
>namely, the ability to do 360-degree exploration in uniformly spaced steps

Lots of people doing "west marches" games with hexes, too, which is heresy since they were specifically designed for exploration NOT in uniformly spaced abstracted step units. Turns out nobody bothers thinking about why they use game mechanics in their campaigns these days.
>>
>>54147435
The spells are named after heavy metal songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiWy1P2Uovo
>>
>>54152267
Fucking nice, Anon! Thanks for making this, if I ever run TotSK I'm definitely using this map.

>Also using 10' squares
Does this matter? I mean, you can't tell from the map, can you? If every square was a 5' square the map would look identical, right?
>>
>>54152962
Thanks, anon!
>Does this matter? I mean, you can't tell from the map, can you? If every square was a 5' square the map would look identical, right?
Ah, that's certainly true, and I don't think anything would get messed up. I did modify some room sizes a bit with that in mind though, so I thought stating it may explain some of those decisions.
>>
Hey guys its my first time posting in /osr/ and I was wondering if Torchbearer counts as being part of the OSR
>>
>>54153550
Folks tend to call it OSR-adjacent, as in it tries to accomplish similar things, but with a completely different mechanical base.
>>
>>54153550
I say yes, Gus says no. We'll let you be the tie-breaker.
>>
>>54153550
You could say torchbearer is part of the OSR but is not a "OSR game" by most definitions. It's in the same grey area as Dungeon Crawl Classics in that it's a modern game made to emulate a certain aspect of old school play

It's in the trove's OSR-likes folder if that matters
>>
>>54153589
>It's in the same grey area as Dungeon Crawl Classics

Yeah but DCC is a lot more compatible with the classic FRPG base because it still uses things like hit dice. Gotta consider mechanical compatibility as well as ideological.
>>
>>54153589
>>54153567
>>54153582

I was asking because I wanted to know what you guys opinions about the game was.
>>
>>54153815
None of us have played it.
Some of us don't like it, but we all agree that it's neat.
>>
>>54153815
You'll have trouble finding anyone who has played Burning Wheel, Mouse Guard or Torchbearer. They're extremely niche, weird games that require a lot of work from both players and DM to work well. They're mostly valued for existing and showing what you can do with the rpg format, like Continuum and other weird hipster games.
>>
>>54150048
>>a road goes in each direction. But in the next table it can abruptly end. Is that intended behaviour?
I totally didn't think of that. I'll add clarification on how to resolve such an outcome.
>>it's possible for a dedicated party who is aware of the rules to influence partially the terrain that you generate.
I really want to make meaningful rules which can mechanically reinforce "immersion and themes" like an ogre causing fear in players because it has 3HD, can see in the dark, and deals 1d10 damage rather than an ogre causing fear in characters played by those players because it is "scary". I hope that makes some kind of sense. I think that stocking different wilderness encounter tables based on terrain allows a referee to mechanically reinforce the tone and if the players are aware of the terrain generation rules they get the idea of proximal likeness reinforced, it would be a benefit to my "playstyle". I want swamps to be abhorred by the players and this could present another way to mechanically incentivize players towards that.
>>See pic related
That looks really cool and warms my heart. Would you mind if I posted that gif on my blog?
>>
>>54152223

Not if it's a one-shot group or event. As the group or the adventuring world begins to solidify, fill out the town and the surrounding environment.
>>
>>54152267

Good looking map!
>>
File: oYFYGum.png (677KB, 800x2832px) Image search: [Google]
oYFYGum.png
677KB, 800x2832px
>>54144531
If you're willing to break the templating to say
>Some ideas stolen from here.
you should do the same for
>Adapted from: Homebrewed
>>
>>54155896
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 91

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.