[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 55

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (70KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
"Won't touch it unless it's official" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>53935332

Besides the Horus Heresy and the modern Dark Millennium, do you ever consider running games in other periods, like the War of the Beast or the Macharian Crusades?
>>
>>54022726

Those time periods are meme periods. Nothing concrete is known about them. Thats why everything is 800M41, thats what FFG has defined for us, so that is what we use. End of discussion.
>>
>>54022726
I've had games as far back at M38 but no, I've never put my players in the middle of existing events, mostly because it renders the players irrelevant due to the event being a foregone conclusion, or the players find a way to muck stuff up and entirely change the event. Both of which are reasons I think Black Library books based on existing events are, with rare exception, their worst..
I mean, I'm sure you can wave away shake ups in the event with "Everything is True" or "loose canon" whatever the in-phrase is for that at the moment, but it's just easier for me to come up with my own stuff for the players to deal with.
>>
>>54023538
If anything that's a plus, less canon to get in the way.
>>
>>54023681
In fairness, you could go the Inglourious Basterds method and if your players do somehow end up changing events, actually just go with it. It might not shake things up hugely in the grand scheme of things but no reason they can't have an impact; you're not defining the setting for everyone, just your group, so why limit yourself?
>>
>>54024101
That's probably what would happen. We tend to treat novels, codices etc. as loose canon, with the final say being up to whoever is GMing. While what happens to the parties is solid canon since they were right there and watched it happen. Still inconsistencies across GMs, but whatever.
I don't think avoiding big events like the Macharius Crusade is limiting though because I'm busy making up my own events to see how they turn out.
>>
>>54023681

I've sent players back in time via Ordo Chronos to the Horus Heresy, I've sent others forward, almost 800,000 years ahead, to see the consequences of failure, and I've had two teams in the same mission, two years and three games apart. In many cases, they were there to see why and how things happened, as opposed to what things happened. In each case, a new time period was rather jarring and prompted a completely new mindset on the spot. I think that if it was explained from the beginning, that mindset is easy to get into.

In retrospect, there was only one time where one player explicitly set out to change the future. It worked, somewhat humorously.
>>
So how much XP should Rogue Trader characters have to be even with a DH Grey Knight?
>>
Is Dark Heresy ok for a first-time GM?
>>
>>54024692
Yeah, it was my first system and I had a great time. Almost killed one of my players in the first session after pitting them against a man with a chain axe. Fortunately they were right next to a hospital which I decided subconsciously to have. Didn't think they would need it.
>>
>>54024692
yes
>>
>>54025244
hospitals are coddling
>>
File: Batman.jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batman.jpg
26KB, 640x360px
Is there something like a voice modulator in one of the splatbooks? Something that could be worn under a collar or something to change a PC's voice to make it unrecognizable.
>>
>>54028797
In the Dark Heresy Game Master's Kit, the Slaught have some item that does something like that. Look at the end of the book in their stats.
>>
So I discovered Stub Rifles in Black Crusade, and threw them through the Variant Pattern rules for something nice to equip a Severan Dominate regiment with...

>Severan Automatic Stub Rifle
>Base Weapon: Stub Rifle (BC pg154)
>2 Positive\2 Negative

>High Impact (+2 Damage with Aim Action)
>Incredibly Lethal (Proven 2 Quality)
>Fixed Pattern (-10 Logistic for Good\Best Craft Versions)
>Rare Model (-20 Logistic Test to Acquire Outside of Issue)

>120m - S\0\0 - 1d10+3 I - Pen 1 - Mag 5 - Reload Full - Accurate, Proven(2) - 5.5kg

Really wanted to give it Manual Operation, but oh well
>>
Halp, guys. I'm running Deathwatch for a local group, and I've houseruled it extensively... making the psychic powers actually make sense, updating certain aspects of the rules, including equipment. One thing I'm torn on bringing up to speed with OW is the single shot/semi auto/full auto (and standard attack/swift attack/lightning attack) paradigm. Do you guys think it's worth changing? I think it's less immersive, in that in the newer system full auto weapons are only useful in the hands of a trained expert and any old fool can use a single shot weapon, which is kind of the opposite of real life. But the system is so much cleaner.

What do you guys think?
>>
File: 1401337569432.gif (3MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1401337569432.gif
3MB, 450x253px
>>54030426
>What do you guys think?

I lamented the loss of that big ol' bonus to hit from Full Auto, but its not that huge a loss. The best benefit you get from Full Auto weapons is the ability to pin enemies, and stacking hits is just icing on the cake.

I think one of the ideas behind the concept of "better single shots, worse full auto's" was balance, and the idea that trained users (weapon training talent) means you know how to put accurate single shots down range.

I can see the benefit of either way, honestly. I'd say, go with whatever you feel the most comfortable with
>>
>>54030426
If you switch to the OW standards you run the risk of hordes becoming too hard to grind your way through...
>>
>>54030309
>Calls it an automatic rifle
>Only has S/-/-
>>
File: 1473601131740.jpg (108KB, 1280x674px) Image search: [Google]
1473601131740.jpg
108KB, 1280x674px
>>54030760

I guess I should have made the distinction for autistics with a "Semi-" before Automatic. But hey, I thought that was implied. Its why I posted the picture of an M1 Garand instead of a Mauser
>>
>>54030829

I'm not familiar with the system. What is the "s" in "s/0/0" actually stand for?
>>
>>54031121
Single shot.
>>
>>54022726
Most of my games take place between 100-900.M41 in a homebrew sector (Acheron, for those of you who've seen me post the homebrew), but I've considered running a Dark Imperium era game because of the absolute shitstorm it would be what with the sector being in the Imperium Nihilus side of the Great Rift.

>>54023538
>Thats why everything is 800M41, thats what FFG has defined for us, so that is what we use. End of discussion.
How about you go fuck yourself with that there pseudo-religious dogmatic adherence to a fucking roleplaying game of all things.
>>
>>54031144

......ah. Well then...>>54031121...

I was going to go on a tl:dr about how firearms nomenclature has changed over the years, and how not being pedantic is generally only an issue when discussing firearms in a historical context. The ol' clip vs magazine deal.

But you're actually just completely wrong.

A Mauser is not semi-automatic. How you even know the difference between it and a Garand without knowing that much is beyond me.

This is a setting where technology is a religion, and heresy is punishable by death. A techpreist using nomenclature that incorrect would likely be executed.
>>
>>54030309
I think giving it the accurate quality might make it a bit too lethal with the high impact as well. Maybe instead increase the proven quality if they aim?
>>
File: 1449225055722.jpg (31KB, 283x248px) Image search: [Google]
1449225055722.jpg
31KB, 283x248px
>>54031245
The Singleshot/Semi-Automatic/Automatic designations are rules terms, not in-universe terminology designating the amount of maximum hits a weapon can have as well as the amount of ammunition consumed in an attack action.

It's a rules abstraction that uses real-world terminology retardedly.
>>
>>54031260
BC stub rifles are accurate by default.
>>
File: Stub Rifle BCpg154.jpg (9KB, 714x25px) Image search: [Google]
Stub Rifle BCpg154.jpg
9KB, 714x25px
>>54031260
>I think giving it the accurate quality might make it a bit too lethal with the high impact as well

It already comes with the Accurate Quality, which is why High Impact is a rather nice fit. The only thing it needs is Reliable, which is why I made Good & Best quality versions harder to get
>>
>>54031245
>A Mauser is not semi-automatic. How you even know the difference between it and a Garand without knowing that much is beyond me

Your responding to the wrong person
>>
>>54031283

What I'm saying is if the IG put in an order for any gun called "automatic" and got something bolt-action instead, people would die.

First every last IG the order was for, by whatever they were supposed to fight, and then whoever was involved in the ordering fuckup, by the inquisition.

It kinda takes players out of the game when you're screwing up lore THAT badly.
>>54031307
Yeah, I realized that after posting.
>>
>>54031413
>It kinda takes players out of the game when you're screwing up lore THAT badly.
Except the fact that the Departmento Munitorum fucks up ordnance and supply deliveries all the time based on the incredibly dark joke Imperial bureaucracy is written as. There's even prominent rules for such events happening in Only War (Mission Assignment Gear p. 165). Hell, even the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer gives instruction on what to do in case of the Department Munitorum delivers the wrong stuff iirc.

So no, it doesn't fuck up the fluff. Even someone being shot for the fuck up is not guaranteed because of the byzantine nature of the Imperium, where plenty of valid excuses in the bureaucratic chain can be found to point out "It wasn't my fault! He filed the form incorrectly!/He requested that equipment by filling the checkbox CD902857-D8756 rather than CD908257-D8756..." and etc.
>>
>>54031540

It's...named wrong, dude.

"Severan Bolt-Action Stub Rifle" or "Severan Stub Rifle" if that isn't already a thing

There ya go.
>>
>>54031676
I'm not the anon that made it.
>>
>>54022726
will they ever lic out 40K to another RPG publisher
say like Green Ronin (AGE system)?
>>
>>54031731
Green Ronin, fuck that. The Cubicle is going to make new line of 40krpgs too probably.

Green Ronin is fucked, I recall this bumfuck of Game of Thrones rpg being fucked, with extra sprinkled stuff like

>Oh yeah, this is Tyrion Lannister/Stannis Baratheon statline, you can introduce him to players but oh yeah, remember that he has godmode since he cant die till the events in the GRRM books.
>>
>>54031947
who are The Cubicle? what RPGs did they make
>>
>>54032026
One Ring rpg, it's solid. They are going to make aos one, wfrp one and probably 40k one too
>>
>>54030426
In my OW/DH game I homeruled bipods/tripods to give a +10 to burst/full retard fire. Helped balance the penalties and gave people incentives to actually use the damn things. Their ability to be used on basic weapons now has a purpose and even if a heavy gunner gets Bulging Biceps mounting your gun is a worthwhile choice.
>>
>>54024573
Dh1 or 2?
Either way, in the thousands, if you are taking gear and such into account.
>>
>>54028797
A DH2e disguise kit comes with one stock.
>>54030426
I used the OW/DH version because it makes full auto less the greatest shit ever, and no, spray and pray does NOT increase your chance to hit, it just makes friendly fire more likely.
It's like saying side sweeping is a superior way to shoot, versus aiming down the sight.
>>54031209
>How about you go fuck yourself with that there pseudo-religious dogmatic adherence to a fucking roleplaying game of all things.
This.
>>
>>54032979
My GM gave them a bonus to damage on single shot, and a bonus to hit on semi/full auto.
>>
>>54031209

I think I need a new group. I wanted to run a horus heresy game, but nobody wanted to join. They said it didnt feel right. Instead they wanted me to run DH2 Generic Hive Investigation #27302
>>
>>54030309
>>54030760
>>54030829
S/0/0 signifies that the weapon is by no means automatic. A semi automatic weapon would at least have S/2/0 or more likely S/3/0, the Mauser you later posted works for a S/0/0, and definately should do more damage than an autogun since both semi and bolt action or repeater rifles tend to use bigger rounds. Bolt actions could possibly get accurate, but should definately have reliable by default, with the exception of that fancy smooth blaser action.
>>
>>54032979
>>54030426
Use the rules for Pinning and automatic fire suddenly becomes far more sensible even when you aren't as likely to hit. Seriously, one of the best ways to improve the tactical depth in your games is to go and read up on how Pinning and Fear work, it will make your players think much more in combat.
>>
>>54024692
It's very simple. The trick is to just focus on fighting shit.
>>
>>54033445

If you cant find the That Guy in your group, you are That Guy.
>>
Being in a BC party with one space marine and the rest humans is suffering
>>
What are the weirdest builds that you can make with a human in Black Crusade?

I've been thinking of making an unarmed combat sorcerer, but I'm thinking I'll kinda fall behind a bit too much when we start getting gear.
>>
>>54035004

Not quite a human but another player in our game made a kung fu magical tzaangor. He casts from afar then when shit gets close he beats them down.
>>
>>54034968
our psyker's body count was basically on par with the CSMs' back when I GM'd

besides, suffering is the name of the game, try to enjoy it and then inflict it back to the world. your gods will be happier, you're will be happier
>>
File: Doomguy at the moment.jpg (476KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Doomguy at the moment.jpg
476KB, 800x800px
>>54022726
>That picture
And I just imagined Doomguy fighting the perils of The Warp

I wonder how this fucker would do agaisnt an Ultramarine
>>
Any rules for horses or other mounts?
>>
>>54035870

Only War and Black Crusade have them
>>
>>54035870
Yes, in Hammer of the Emperor and Dh2
>>
>>54035455
Judging by the latest game, he'd be mostly on equal terms, except a manlet.
>>
>>54030829
>a semi auto only firing once a round
>Really wanted to give it Manual Operation, but oh well

1. you did
2. fuck the rules just make what you want, slap it on there anyway
>>
Tau in Rogue Trader.
Is it better to use the official rules or the Fear and Loathing rules?
>>
>>54038274

The Fear and Loathing rules (Fire and Earth) caste are modified base classes (arch militant and explorator) according to the author. The Cadre Fireblade, having played one myself, is really fun with its orders, but the pathfinder is lacking in comparison. The earth caste is a drone pet class, and didn't appeal to me. The official rules are a hybrid of fire and earth, but severely dependent on fate points and multiple attribute dependency. it can become a pathfinder or drone controller through elite advances. The Tau in The Fringe is Yours are way different than the other two sources, being focused on vehicles and social / economic combat. Overall, for a combat tau, I liked the Fireblade best, then the official rules, then the other two in the book.
>>
I'm forever without a group. Will I ever get to play this game? I bought it when it was new and I have a few of the splatbooks on the shelf.
Life is suffering. The only group I can join is Lord of the Rings and I'm not that keen. At least I have my models.
Sorry for the blog
>>
>>54038457
Sick, thanks
>>
One thing to watch out for - the author used "Certification" talents to grant gear to some of the classes, the same way the signature wargear talent from Deathwatch works. The other book had an optional adjustment to grant +20 to the acquisition test rather than the signature wargear effect, similar to something the official Tau book used. Talk it over with your GM which one works best for you.
>>
File: Did you rike it.png (347KB, 610x462px) Image search: [Google]
Did you rike it.png
347KB, 610x462px
>>54038274
>>54038457
>>
>>54034927
Someone call the lnquisition, cause we got someone here who is so stupid he must be a debased accursed mutant.
>>
>>54038472
You are forgiven, my son. How come you can't find a group?
>>
File: Harakonari an tellika regala!.jpg (30KB, 401x599px) Image search: [Google]
Harakonari an tellika regala!.jpg
30KB, 401x599px
So I'm making an Only War regiment to try and get a game going with my D&D group: Harakoni Warhawks. Elite heavy drop troops.

I'm stuck on their regiment standard kit on whether to give them Storm Trooper carapace or light carapace and allocate points for extra equipment (like grenades). They're already getting micro-beads and photo-visors or preysense goggles.

Also what is light carapace? Didn't know it came in light.
>>
>>54040260
Light carapace is arbites standard.
>>
Sorry if this is really obvious, but what beyond the homebrew stuff in the OP would you lot recommend if I were planning to set a campaign loosely around Mars or another massive techno planet?
Anything lore or fluff would be best, I'm likely not to be using the FFG rules.
>>
>>54023538
>Nothing concrete is known about them.
Except The Beast time period and the Macharian Crusades are exceptionally detailed by Black Library.
>>
I am 100% finished with this map. Finalized the placement of all the worlds, finished all the system elements, completed all the complex nebulae art.

I also have 11,000 words/26 pages of fluff on the setting that I need to finish and edit down.

>>54022726
I might set stuff during the Reign of Blood or Plague of Unbelief if I want story-driven adventures, or anything set between those time periods and the Time of Ending for stuff that doesn't get dragged into the End Is Nigh plots and events of late 40k.
>>
>>54042023
>>
File: 1334894503772.jpg (140KB, 583x656px) Image search: [Google]
1334894503772.jpg
140KB, 583x656px
>>54039357
Are children with Down Syndrome considered mutants in the Imperium?
>>
File: 1493941954156.png (354KB, 594x454px) Image search: [Google]
1493941954156.png
354KB, 594x454px
>>54042693
>There will never be a hi-quality PDF of The Lathe Worlds in the Mega
SAD!
>>
File: 1413088587506.jpg (147KB, 902x677px) Image search: [Google]
1413088587506.jpg
147KB, 902x677px
>>54042693
Thanks for spoon feeding a dense motherfucker.
Just gonna pretend I forgot about those.
>>
>>54042700
Yes. They're genetically impure.
>>
>>54040260
Given what you're going for I WAS going to argue to give them Light Carapace but they apparently weigh exactly the same. Anyways, it's up to you. Stormtrooper Carapace is what they wear in the lore but if you want to give them a little more challenge just tell them light carapace. Or potentially make them wear light carapace if they are green recruits and after a mission or two award them their full suits.
>>
>>54038472
>I'm forever without a group.
Start one. GMs are in much higher demand than players, so running a game is the only reliable way to have one.
>>
>>54040907
Ah gotcha. Neat.

>>54044218
That's not a bad idea. I'm gonna consider doing that. Like maybe after their first successful combat drop via grav-chute they'll get their storm trooper armour. Thanks.
>>
File: 1374930431286.jpg (375KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1374930431286.jpg
375KB, 1280x800px
>>54034385

Unfortunately Stub Rifles do not have Reliable by default.

There is a trait in the Variant Pattern Design that treats Good Craft versions as Best Craft - that can be rewritten, or a similar trait added, where Common Craft is considered Good Craft.

Ultimately it doesn't matter much. I wanted to make these rifles formidable for the Fourtheden Pioneers regiment of Severan Dominate without being something that PC's would want to toss their M36's for. The Rifles being Accurate, doing a minimum of 7 damage with an Aim action, and using Ammo they can pick off the dead might be too good to ignore anyway. Not that this is a bad thing.
>>
So I've got an idea to start off a campaign of Dark Heresy and was wondering if I could get some advice, critique, or feedback. The general idea is that all the PCs begin the session bound, gagged, and blindfolded, and can hear the sound of a crowd trying to be quiet, as if they anticipate something. It eventually becomes obvious that they are not the only prisoners, and that the prisoners are all captives to a cult about to enact a dark ritual. What happens next depends on their actions and whether they succeed. They'll be given requisite skill checks to escape their bonds and get their senses and communicate, starting with just enough Fatigue not to impact stats. I'm hoping to build tension as the ritual goes on with the perceived deaths of their fellow captives and dread that they will be next. Spice it up with some minor Warp Phenomena if lots of NPCs die before they figure something out. I figure it goes one of several ways:

1. The PCs break loose from their bonds, disrupt the ritual, escape, and return to their daily lives... until agents of the Inquisition give them an offer they can't refuse.

2. The PCs botch rolls and get to deal with hearing some awful shit until Inquisitorial agents who had been posing as prisoners and cultists alike surreptitiously free them and others to disrupt the ritual. Depending on how it plays out, they get rounded up in the aftermath or get aforementioned invitation if they escape.

3. Both the PCs and the hidden agents eat shit on all rolls, possibly resulting in numerous agent deaths and the ritual nearing completion before the doors are locked in by Arbiter and a very pissed Inquisitor with demotions, purity checks, and bolt rounds aplenty (with plenty of demonstration by the latter).

In any case, the Inquisitor groups them up and throws them at some minor shit, clearly unwilling to allow them to return fully to their former lives but skeptical about the odds of their success (barring situation 1). Thus begins thy service.
>>
File: 40kpummel.jpg (250KB, 710x1024px) Image search: [Google]
40kpummel.jpg
250KB, 710x1024px
>>54046350
>PCs begin the session bound, gagged, and blindfolded

Usually not the best way to start a campaign - its about as cliche as starting in a Tavern.

Do you know what kind of Characters your Players are making? Build an introduction and Inquisitorial pull based on who the characters are. Better yet, if one player makes a character whose already an acolyte, the prelude can involve that character going around recruiting the others, and you can have little vignettes of the characters doing their usual jobs before being pulled into Inquisitorial duties.

Just my suggestion
>>
>>54040260
They are premade in one of the splatbooks anyway i think
>>
Guys, i'm going to GM DH to a bunch of friends that know absolutely nothing about 40k but got interested when i said i wanted to run it. Any tips on how to run the first session or at least to familiarize them with the setting?
>>
>>54048421
The best way to do that is to embrace the pulpy nature of 40k and say "it's just a bit of judge dredd mixed with starship troopers" and then add whatever's necessary to that. The intro text in most books covers everything if not, "the laughter of thirsting gods" or something.
>>54046350
It may not be the best idea to begin the campaign with the players in chains. Those can work in rags to riches campaigns, but that's typically not a Dark Heresy campaign. You could have the similar concept, but maybe have one of the PCs undercover, and they're hiding in the crowd of the ritual while the other PCs race to the scene to deal with it. If you don't want to split the party, have it be an NPC who the PCs are currently tenured to. You get the cults, the drama, the pacing and tension but the PCs are as in control of the situation as they'll get.
>>
File: loottable.png (62KB, 988x569px) Image search: [Google]
loottable.png
62KB, 988x569px
>>54022726
Thoughts on my Loot table? For a campaign based on scavenging a huge desert that's also a voidship graveyard. No Inquisition, no daemons, just shooting the shit trying to make ends meet, pretty low power level. Social/Exploration with a lot of vehicles 'n' combat.

If you can think of anything good to go on here, homebrewed or not, I'd love to throw it on.

This is for a fairly default ship. Transport, but I'd like to make versions for other ships too.
>>
>>54048945
Decent variety, but I'm not seeing any food or water?
>>
>>54048421
Tell them that they're gonna play Catholic Space Nazies.
>>
>>54048945
How do you roll 100+ on this table?
>>
>>54049741
Initial Awareness test, followed by a d100 roll, with +10 for each DoS scored on the initial test. Like the shock table.
>>54049008
Ah yeah, the thought being these ships have been derelict for a fairly long time, but of course - Imperial rations do keep forever. I'll add some on. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>54046513
I don't have a group, was considering starting one since my current GM seems intent on running the premades and nothing after. Must be my inexperience talking, I didn't realize that would be so cliche.

>>54048603
The initial idea was to give the PCs some kind of initial unifying event instead of just saying 'You already work for this guy, now he wants you all to work together," and for that event to happen before they're inducted as Throne agents. Otherwise point taken.
>>
>>54049801
>Any other suggestions?
I would include, with odd or even numbers, scraps of clues to several major events that happened, plot hooks for something to lead to a climax.
>>
File: 89077b6be7a090a42da07162b49f17d0.jpg (307KB, 1600x896px) Image search: [Google]
89077b6be7a090a42da07162b49f17d0.jpg
307KB, 1600x896px
>>54051751
That's an awesome idea, any ideas for default events to have happened on a ship? I'll try and think of a few.

>A group of Hereteks has taken up residence in the ship's Enginarium.
Clues:
>Plasma drives have recently been spooled up, albeit running at very low power.
>Fresh cables can be noticed by anyone with a tech background or whose perceptive enough, along w/ tracks, signs of other repair work.
>Servitors, servo-skulls won't approach past certain points.

>The ship was a wolf in sheep's clothing, most of the scrappers have only seen the obvious stuff, but it was once a smuggler's ship for use in the Cold Trade.
Clues:
>Auspexes get funny readings inside, as old scramblers still in place.
>A party member could fall through a hatch that's rusted away.

I'd love to see what we could come up with.
Maybe something w/ sandwurms too? They're a thing.
>>
>>54050781
Fair enough. That sounds like a decent premise, as long as your players are aware of what it is in a meta sense. An event to bring them together.
>>
File: formal request to live etc.jpg (272KB, 734x698px) Image search: [Google]
formal request to live etc.jpg
272KB, 734x698px
For those of you that ran the False Prophets module in the main Black Crusade book, how did you use the Torestus afterwards?
>>
File: Priest.jpg (188KB, 619x1062px) Image search: [Google]
Priest.jpg
188KB, 619x1062px
So /40krpg/ I've got a question. I'm going to be running an Only War and for the purposes of requisitions I'm trying to figure out what 'rank' a priest would hold in the Imperial Guard, if they even hold a rank at all. Are they low ranking NCO's or only around the rank of guardsmen?
>>
>>54053966
I only ask because I'm making requisitions work like this for my next game of Only War because I found flaws in running it blankly in the previous game. Namely green recruits requesting power swords and getting them on the first roll.

Green Recruit: COMMON
Enlisted: AVERAGE
Low Rank NCO: SCARCE
Squad Rank NCO: RARE
Senior Squad Rank NCO: VERY RARE
Platoon Officer: EXTREMELY RARE
Company Command Officer: NEAR UNIQUE
Senior Officer or Commissariat NEAR UNIQUE
Regimental Officer: UNIQUE
>>
Say I threw 4 guardsmen players up against a Genestealer in tight confines. How much of a challenge would it be?
>>
>>54054210
Depends which stats you're planning on using for them. Genestealers have been statted almost a dozen times in slightly different ways across the various systems, so that fight could be anywhere from a nice challenge, to near-certain tpk.
>>
>>54054523
I want a single one to be almost unkillable to bring it in as a major campaign villain (a la the Alien series). Just having a couple and some disguised cultists aboard a ship are what the party will have to deal with
>>
>>54054605
Page 98 of enemies without.
>>
>>54054605
In that case I'm going to have to agree with this anon >>54054674 and say go with the DH2 one. Bizarrely for coming from one of the lower powered lines it's got the highest toughness, and therefore durability, out of all of them, and doesn't skimp on damage either, though it is less agile than other variants though so wont be dodging as much, or charging from as far.
Others you might want to consider as they're only just short in survivability, both from Deathwatch, are the Lansholm strain stealer from Final Sanction as it packs the meanest punch with 2d10+12 per hit, but lacks in the range of talents and traits most come with. Or there's the Auran strain from Emperor Protects, for having the highest agility and dodge whilst making up for its lower damage with Tearing.
>>
>>54053237
Basic stuff?
Survivors on the ship, a cult following that worships the ruined gellar engine and are trying to "repair" it.
The truth is that the cult leader is trying to reverse engineer the engine to crack open a warp gate that will consume the ship and only grow further.
>>54053966
I would rank a starting priest as something similar to a sarge, if only because they minister to a platoon.
>>54054172
The only flaw was you not exercising GM discretion. Req checks are not open game, and you have every right to say to the players "that is above your pay grade" and let it be so, as well as limiting the total number of req checks they can make at any given time. This doesn't even get to things like "this is simply not available on this front".
If the players bitch, then you know who the troublemakers are, because a decent player can accept that all things in a game are up to GM discretion, provided the GM doesn't abuse it.
In DH2e, subtlety directly counters this issue, as low subtlety can mean the people you are looking for know about you before you even arrive and can make attempts to hide or eliminate them off the jump. That happened to me already.
>>
>>54055337
This
>>
What happened to the Dark Heresy novels? Did they only write the 2?
>>
>>54058593

Two before BL turned into the horus heresy factory.
>>
Anyone got any good themes for Only War regiments? The best I can think of are wild west, native american, and viking themed regiments.
>>
File: 1334531548035.png (300KB, 459x599px) Image search: [Google]
1334531548035.png
300KB, 459x599px
>>54061287

I can tell you about the Regiments i've created for both the Severan Dominate and the Imperium

>1st Bristol Dragoons, a regiment of revolutionary war era cavalry with horses, swords, and pistols
>332nd Fourtheden Pioneers, WW2 german infantry sappers and rangers with stub rifles
>91st Maesa Drop Armor Corps, field infantry mixed with any kinda armoured vehicle you can drop from the air, including special versions of Leman Russ Conquerer
>XVIII Jaeger Mechanised Legion, premier elite armour regiment, based around a roman styled WW2 waffen SS panzer division
>Malfian Gas Guard, stormtrooper jannissaries trained by the Malfia nobility to be a punitive force against the lowborn - wield nightfire flamers and toxic grenades
>>
Do you think a homebrew Schola Progenium would constitute a substitution for a homeworld or an elite advance at character creation?

Here's what I've cooked up.

>Schola Progena Elite Advance
>400 points

>Schola Education: A character with this advance begins play with Linguistics (High Gothic) and may test any Common Lore as an untrained skill; if he is trained in a Common Lore, he gains one additional degree of success in its use.
>Drill Abbott Instruction: Should the player not possess one each of the groups of Weapon Training (Low Tech or Chain), he may choose one to have at character creation.
>Molded to Purpose: A Progena has led a youth of constant testing and trial where his natural strengths and qualities are nurtured and weakness culled. He gains a +5 to all Willpower based tests, and at character creation, should any aptitudes be gained twice, any aptitude (at GM's discretion) may be chosen instead (except Psyker, unless the character has a Psy Rating).

It feels powerful for 400 points but I can't tone it down without losing the essence of a Schola upbringing and if I raise the price, it won't fit if someone wants to play, say, a Schola Progenium Astra Telepathica Astropath of a Role outside Mystic. I suppose I'm in homebrew territory anyway, so anyone using this could ask their GM for a few more hundred experience points at character creation.
>>
>>54061287
I made a mad max themed one.
>>
>>54062648
Why not use the Schola Progenium homeworld in Only War as a starting point?
>>
>>54062648
>Should the player not possess one each of the groups of Weapon Training (Low Tech or Chain)

Should just read "Should the character not possess one of the Weapon Training (Low Tech or Chain) at character creation...". That's an artifact from when I had a group of ranged talents before I realized every DH2e character comes with at least a ranged Talent.
>>
So tomorrow I'll be running an encounter for a Black Crusade Campaign and for the big monster fight on a derelict imperial frigate, I was thinking of having it be this cat-and-mouse type fight with 1-2 Lictors, the party is still quite new and consists of 2 chosen marines, 1 sorcerer, 1 renegade, and 1 apostate. they did bring a mob of 30 slaves with them but they are all just wearing potato sacks and armed with bare fists.

Would this encounter be too easy for them? or too difficult?
>>
File: typical zanbari fighter.jpg (168KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
typical zanbari fighter.jpg
168KB, 819x1024px
>>54061287
>The Zanbarii 9th Militia
>Zanbar is a world perpetually torn by civil war due to ancient tribal conflicts, poorly managed resources and a lack of central leadership. The massively corrupt Planetary governor simply sends his heavily armed troops down from his orbital station to the capital and rounds up whichever militant group currently occupies it.
>Ironically, most Zanbarii see a harsh life on the frontlines of the Guard as the greatest opportunity they will ever have. Equipped with whatever gear they were carrying at the time, they often carry an eclectic mix of equipment scrounged from various sources.
>Zanbarii are known to be aggressive, ill-disciplined but highly adaptable troops. They are known for stealing and deploying civilian harsh weather gear in the midst of combat, carrying umbrellas and wearing stolen fur cloaks and even wedding robes over their combat kit.
> Their profound faith in a Shamanic version of the Imperial Faith means that they assume certain amulets, oils and rituals will make them invisible, immune to bullets, or able to shift shape at will.
>Due to their immense superstition and belief that the number '9' is lucky, all Zanbarii units are designated the 9th. This causes an endless amount of confusion for beleaguered Munitorum scribes.
>Rumor has it that Zanbarii troops have a larger proportion of Wyrds in their number whose powers give credence to their traditions. That the Zanbarii are not more thoroughly visited by the Black Ships is a subject of great mystery.
>>
>>54062763
I had not read that one. I referenced the one from the Inquisitor's Handbook. In any case, Only War's seems too specific to those Progena who end up in the Guard.
>>
File: zanbari with mask.jpg (280KB, 1300x942px) Image search: [Google]
zanbari with mask.jpg
280KB, 1300x942px
>>54062907
>>54061287

(cont)

>Zanbari tend to be not much use as a standard part of the order of battle. While extremely aggressive in the initial phases of an assault, they have a tendency to become disheartened quickly and will withdraw to cover rapidly when confronted by stiff resistance.
>Therefore, they're best deployed either as a skirmishing screen to disrupt the enemy before the main assault, or sent behind enemy lines to operate as insurgents, putting their skills at scavenging and improvisation to good use.
>Zanbari units tend to be extremely unpopular among allied regiments. They frequently pick fights with other troops, steal equipment and supplies, and their unconventional religious practices are highly provocative to more devout regiments.
>Despite their notoriously poor discipline, Commissars are very uncommon in Zanbari units. Their attrition rate is higher than that of Catachan regiments, and their ability to instill a conventional sense of discipline is close to nil. The most effective Commissars tend to "go native", adopting Zanbari tribal customs and becoming feared headmen within their regiments.
>>
>>54062907
>>54062934
Top kek
>>
>>54022726
Holy shit it's always the same 2 pictures.
Get some creativity and make another one if you're this hellbent to be the OP of every single thread.
>>
File: 1421550927605-0.jpg (82KB, 450x738px) Image search: [Google]
1421550927605-0.jpg
82KB, 450x738px
>>54022726
mfw my players just killed a fucking defiler with a heavy bolter, because prescience and two righteous glories!
>>
>>54064872
Were you using the errata?
>>
>>54064942
for DH2 ?
>>
>>54062855
Which version of the lictor?
>>
So, me and a group of friends are finally running a 40k RPG. Well be playing DW and I've chosen to play a Tactical Marine of a custom chapter called Red Carnosaurs. We also have a Dark Angel Apothecary, Novamarine Devastator and Raptor Librarian.

Since everyone but the DM is new to 40k RPGs and two of the four players are still pretty raw to 40k as a whole, what should we expect going into our first mission and any advice and tips?

We've all played D &D 5e and 3.5 with a sprinkling of PF and 4e so we are not new to TTRPG, but some insight into 40k RPGs as a general rule and DW in particular would be much appreciated.
>>
File: 1273632750369.png (765KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1273632750369.png
765KB, 800x800px
>>54065207
-Take Cover
>yes even if you are SPHESS MAREhhns
-Use tactics
-Pay attention to GM descriptions if they are any good they will put hints on things you can do in the mission area.
-Supressive fire is amazing
-no don't try to 1v1 the genestealer that is a dumb idea.
-no you can't "Capture" that xenos
-Never EVER TRUST the fucking Knife-ears
-Always CQB tau
-Flamers + Ork problems = no more Ork Problems
>>
File: motivator4731530gb4.jpg (92KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
motivator4731530gb4.jpg
92KB, 750x600px
>>54065207
Also Deathwatch for new people to the setting is pretty odd, Has Your GM Run it before? Because at least for me it is rather touchy to balance encounters correctly, either the party kills everything with grate haste, or the party is TPK'd to a single GeneStealer.
>>
>>54065257

The DM asked whether we would like to play Dark Heresy 2e, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch or Only War.

Three of us wanted to play DW because Space Marines, the other wanted Rogue Trader more but was totally down to play DW.

>>54065237

Thanks for the advice! I will take it onboard!
>>
File: 1390104229164.jpg (131KB, 1255x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1390104229164.jpg
131KB, 1255x1080px
>>54065207
>new to 40k
>DW

Hah, you really should have started with Dark Heresy, so you know what the Imperium is really like before deciding to be the glorious paragons that rarely ever see what its like for the common folk (assuming they care a single throne gelt).
>>
File: 1473936680326.jpg (104KB, 736x834px) Image search: [Google]
1473936680326.jpg
104KB, 736x834px
>>54065207
Use the Errata for Bolter damage, it cuts down dramatically on the number of dice rolled.
If you're familiar with DnD and it's ilk, then the level of crunch for a Deathwatch mission shouldn't be too bad.
Remember to fish for bonuses. A roll against your raw stats is "Challenging", most of the time you should be getting +10 or +20. Aiming, shooting in bursts, and being within half maximum range all give bonuses. Also don't forget size bonuses for big gribblies!
Squad/Solo mode is optional, but it adds to the fun later on. If you're getting really harsh challenges, try messing around with those abilities. As a tactical marine, you in particular should look at those abilities.
Remember that blasts do extra damage to Hordes, as does anything with the explosive damage type (i.e. your bolters).
40k is a harsh setting so character death is expected. Other hand, Death Watch is the most high-flying of the games so you'll be able to do things like route thirty cultists with a few well placed bursts of fire, go hand-to-hand with a Tyranid Warrior, and crush your enemy's skull with your bare hands before you get blown up.
I don't have the Deathwatch rules handy right now, but when I ran it I remember there being some silly gaps in the Space Marine's skill sets. My house rule was that they should all be able to at least drive/pilot astartes vehicles and rig up explosives, as well as some other things that expert warriors would be expected to be able to do at the minimum.
On the rping side, remember that SM aren't motivated by things like money or possessions, but they are motivated by personal and collective glory, honor, reputation, and hatred. Chapter rivalry can turn violent, suspicion of other Imperial factions can grow intense. You're all honor bound to work together, but you're unlikely to like each other (at first). Have fun playing that, and remember your Demeanor Fate Points!
>>
>>54065333
>most high-flying of the games
That goes to Black Crusade
>>
>>54065324

Me and the guy familiar with Warhammer 40k (and the GM is also, unsurprisingly, rather involved in the lore) are both pretty aware of 40k as a setting. We've both read plenty of BL novels and the codices when available.

The other two aren't exactly completely fresh, I think both have played DoW1 & 2 at least as well as Space Marine, but the haven't dived deeper than that.

>>54065333
Thanks for all the advice! I'll be jotting some of these down!
>>
I'm thinking of using a radical inquisitor as an antagonist in my OW game but I'm not really familiar with radical factions. Which one would be most likely to use mass hypnosis?
>>
>>54066504
Mass hypnosis isn't a goal, it is a means. What are they trying to accomplish? Then you may get somewhere. Off the top of my head, assuming it's mass hypnosis to do some disruptive shit... Istvaanians or Recongregators.
>>
>>54066677
I was thinking of the Istvaanians as well, but then I realized that I would be just copy-pasting the Hydra plot from Watson. Basically, I fucked up, and put insurgents into a campaign where they don't really belong for the sake of enemy variety without thinking, and now I need some reason for their rebellion. Recongregators could work with hypnosis but not without, because the system's rulers are quite ethical and well-meaning. I dunno, maybe hypnosis is also stupid. Warp corruption and genestealers were both in our last campaign, so I'm trying to use something else.
>>
>>54066718
>Using Inquisitior as a antagonist in OW
>In OW

Top kek
>>
>>54064836

they're identifiable like 40kg and hhg.
>>
File: stormtrooper2.jpg (79KB, 555x778px) Image search: [Google]
stormtrooper2.jpg
79KB, 555x778px
I'm about to DM my first only war game this week end, any tips for a newby GM ?

Also which story do you think would be the best for beginners, against the savages (the core rulebook's one) or old soldiers ?
>>
>>54068091
Eleventh Hour is an introductory adventure that's decent fun, short, has pre-made characters and GM tips.
You should definitely print a GM screen, it makes life much more easier.

https://mega.nz/#!WJ00RagA!KasAvGR2jVuTLyNhniavUYfHJFs2l22xeI_3ZSXzwLI
https://mega.nz/#!DUMADJxA!11fsfwV7frpRjsVNGVBQ9I8MNUI0oST27sYPJWyNZB0
>>
File: KHORNE.png (752KB, 849x557px) Image search: [Google]
KHORNE.png
752KB, 849x557px
So they just discovered this IRL.
>>
File: 450px-Eldar_corsairs.jpg (76KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
450px-Eldar_corsairs.jpg
76KB, 450x600px
I've been playing with the idea of doing some homebrewing to run an eldar corsair adventure using the Dark Heresy 2e rules and it definately looks do-able, dont suppose anyone here's tried anything like it before or has any advice (or just resources if it's been done before)?

Equipment and such is mostly sorted in Enemy Without, and homeworld and background rules seem pretty easy to edit and re-contextualize. I know there's stuff for this in Rogue Trader but i'm totally unfamiliar with that system, so i'm not sure if it's worth trying to adapt directly?
>>
File: 2f352d033c91dcd7f6158ed69b3864c0.jpg (203KB, 1024x1463px) Image search: [Google]
2f352d033c91dcd7f6158ed69b3864c0.jpg
203KB, 1024x1463px
>>54068654
You should definitely check those things though. To give you an idea how people have solved similar problems and especially the kind of stuff Eldar PC's should start with. Shas stuff, the Rogue Trader Eldar Character Guide and the Dark Kin supplement is stuff you should check out.
>>
>>54068091
Read this thread, some good advice in it.
>>
>>54068180

Ok, thanks for the links.
>>
>>54068654

Fear and Loathing in the op has corsair, and the Fringe is Yours has more aspect paths they can take. you can take the talents and abilities and slap some aptitudes and traits for DH2
>>
>>54065131
Creatures Anathema version.
>>
>>54070250
The lictors will fall in those kinds of numbers.
Toss in 5 stealers for the mobs of dudes and the humans to deal with, the lictors are intelligent enough to focus attacks on the leader of the group.
>>
File: Xavier_mendoza.jpg (212KB, 502x861px) Image search: [Google]
Xavier_mendoza.jpg
212KB, 502x861px
>>54065411
No prob, senpai.
Few more things:
>Stummers are the Emperor's gift. They help mitigate the stealth penalty for sneaking in full power armor
>Look through Rites of Battle for all the cool support you can requisition from other Imperial factions. Nothing beats a strafing run for saving your bacon.
>Never CQC Genestealers. Tactical retreat and overwatch are the best defense against those marine-killers
>Don't underestimate hordes
>Use Frag Grenades
>Always bring demo charges and melta gel.
>Don't forget your special ammo
>Knowledge is power: try to have most of the lores covered at least a little bit.
>Ask your GM how he works out friendly support. One way of running "Mass Combat" is to have each friendly group of troops cancel an enemy horde. Rallying a few platoons of Guardsmen can save your life.
>Remember that you're close to the top of the food chain, but you're not the very top. Pissing off Inquisitors can be bad for your health. Rogue Traders actually have more authority than you beyond the front line. Even the most obsequious Guard commander will resent having his troops used up like fodder for a mission he doesn't know the smallest details about.
>>
>>54066791
Inquisitor's can have private armies and manipulate factions against one another on a scale appropriate to Only War, anon.
>>
>>54071228
>Inquisitor's can

FUCK
>>
>>54071228
Does that can contain squigmeat or just regular wormlike IG protein? Does it mind control the inquisitor?
>>
Anyone got a download for Honorifica Imperialis? I'd like to give it a read so I can capture more of the feeling of a Guardsman regiment for my Only War game.
>>
File: IMG_2169.jpg (93KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2169.jpg
93KB, 540x405px
Just gauging interest and availability as I will have a slot or two in a high level Deathwatch campaign.

We play every Saturday starting around midday GMT
>>
>>54058593
>>54059627

The second one left me baffled by how stupid the acolytes turn up to be, getting their luggage stolen like that.
>>
>>54071774
Contact?
>>
>>54071868
skype is walter ]dot[ gorkamorka
>>
>>54071007

Damn, I was hoping that eventually I'd be able to claim a CQC genestealer Kill as something truly glorious. Guess that isn't likely to happen.

Still, thanks for all the additional advice!
>>
I am running a campaign of DH 2nd Ed. My group around all fresh to the game and took on a very easy training mission to get everyone up to speed on the rule set. Now they are investigating some political unrest in a random hive world as their first real mission.

Most of the mission I have planned don't really follow a grand story line, but the big secret of the story line is the interrogator who is leading them is a closet Malal worshiper. The quicker the team finds out the nature of the mysterious rebel chaos God the easier they will have to find this guy's true motives out.

My question is if they get to the crucial point and decide they want to continue following this madman around smashing chaos plots, are there some good ideas on what sorts of features malal worshipers would have? Template for a Mark of Malal? characteristic mutations? Spell lists? Traits and talents?
>>
>>54072507
You really ought to have given this some thought before you started a campaign around a whole lot of "Idunno". To my knowledge not a lot of people around care much for Malal and use his Anti-Chaos schtick for Tzeentch wheels-within-wheels plots.
>>
>>54072507
>Template for a Mark of Malal? characteristic mutations? Spell lists? Traits and talents?
No, because Malal isn't even technically owned by GW. He doesn't come with a Warhammer IP license.
>>
>>54073208
This, neither FFG or GW is going to pay John Wagner and Alan Gran royalty fees so they can use a chaos god mentioned in Warhammer Fantasy once in 1987, and is known to and cared for, only by weird internet obsessives.
>>
>>54073006
Criticism noted, but the campaign isn't about finding out that the interrogator was an loon all along. It's more of a way to keep the characters suspicious and untrusting of the NPCs in the long run.

I can't say for sure if presented with the truth if they would say "kill the heretic!" Or "Black Crusade sounds fun", but to begin with I wouldn't have give it a thought they would easily defect to anything but a sweet Rogue Trader position, but I would like to have the bases covered.
>>
>>54073208
I am aware that there are no official rules of malal in any rule books. Simply asking if there has been any need working along similar lines already and has some ideas that might help me flesh out the back end a bit.
>>
>>54066718
Just go with Istvaanians, seems possible enough that some crazy fuckwad with a Rosette would decide that the ethical and well-meaning rulers of the system need a true test on just how well-meaning they are and how much they shouldn't be.
>>
In Rogue Trader, can you buy training for a specific type of weapon for cheaper than universal training?
Like, if one of my players really wants to use a melta pistol, can he spend xp to buy training just for the melta pistol, rather than a chunk of xp for training with all pistols?
Or is the logic just that once you know how to use one type of pistol, you can figure out how to use them all relatively easily?
>>
Someone help me out, just what the fuck ARE Eldar Corsairs? Rogue Trader sure loves not providing any fluff for them whatsoever.
>>
>>54073646
a corsair is a pirate

they're Eldar Pirates

they come from both the Dark and Regular breed, though DE ships are p. rare
>>
>>54073646
Usually they're eldar that leave the craftworlds to fly around realspace acting like arrogant space bandits, but without turning into hardcore sadomasochist murderers like the Commorites.

They still align themselves with the craftworlds to pursue the goals of the eldar race tho.
>>
>>54030309
What are the Variant Pattern rules?
>>
>>54073725
Are they usually looking for riches, like regular pirates, or resources?
I feel like most Eldar are too arrogant to stoop so low as to actually use most of the stuff they could capture from their victims.
>>
>>54073870
Riches, usually. Most of their fluff is based on them abandoning the path system for the purpose of seeking a life of indulgence (presuming they dont get soulraped by slaanesh along the way)
>>
>>54073870
>Are they usually looking for riches, like regular pirates, or resources?
Both.

Eldar Corsairs are also supposedly most similar to the glory days of the old Eldar Empire in mannerisms and behaviour. I.e, arrogant cocks who think they are the Princes of the Universe because, well, they fucking are the Princes of the Universe.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eldar_Outcasts
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Eldar_Corsair

Are pretty useful descriptions of them. And if you're going to use them in a campaign, be sure to give the Corsair Princes appropriate legends and stories surrounding them to hammer home the larger than life characters these guys are.
>>
>>54073870
from what I've read they'll take pretty much anything

they consider every other race below them and basically turn to a life of declaring whatever the fuck they want to be theirs, and then usually take it successfully. because your typical Imperial freighter that's stranded has approx. 0 defenses.

I seem to remember reading a couple places they'll also use their future visions to hit things that would otherwise have gone to their enemies. They'll destroy a human fleet rather than see it fall to chaos, etc. They'll steal human goods that were just destoned for the black market anyway etc.
>>
I'm debating running a Only War campaign based on MACV-SOG in Vietnam.

Debating whether to start off the PC's in a regiment and have them be recruited and having them pick characters from several regiments with DH character classes allowed to represent the CIA piece of it.

What do you think?
>>
>>54074418
They were, like, SUPER-special ops, right? That was their deal?
>>
>>54022726
Wargames General is a discord server that primarily focuses on Games Wworkshop wargames, specialist games and TTRPGs.

For those organizing online games,s we've got a dice roll function on the server, and are happy to set up voice chat channels or chat channels that can only be accessed by participants and mods.

https://discord.gg/Pf7gtuE
>>
>>54074737
Shill pls go away
>>
Can you requisition an upgrade for a weapon you already have, or do you have to find a weapon that already has it?
>>
>>54075069
Look at Applying Personal Weapon Modifications. I think if you just look for the parts, it makes them two levels more available than base (which includes labor). Attaching them is Trade (Armorer).
>>
>>54076138
Cool, thanks
>>
If I want to run my own homebrew, should I use

Dark Heresy 1e
Dark Heresy 2e
Black Crusade
Only War

combat rules? Which version is best?
>>
>>54078147
2e/BC/and OW have identical combat rules.
>>
>>54078205
Do they? I thought 2E at least was different?
>>
>>54078694
Yes. No.
>>
How would you guys rate the Fear and Loathing book? Overpowered cheese that I shouldn't let my players touch?
>>
>>54079274

Outside of the Necrons, the books are fine. The Necrons seem like they're built around their own mini-system.
>>
>>54078147
Every single one has different psyker rules. You will have to vet that shit for yourself. Otherwise, it's basically down to whether you want Dark Heresy 1e or 2e, and then whether you want OW addons (comrades, etc) or BC addons (... idk, weapon downgrades?)
>>
>>54079328
RT though OW base psyker rules are pretty much the same besides some of the powers.
>>
>>54079274

The eldar in it are fun as fuck.
>>
>>54074550
Pretty much. Did lots of reconnaissance and strikes/raids against Ho Chi Minh trail in Cambodia and Laos.

They had recon teams of 3-12 and direct action battalions, whose companies would go on raids

They were also a mix of Army, Marine, Navy, and Airforce with some CIA paramilitary for the lulz so I'm leaning towards the second choice. The only problem I come up with is why not do a DH game then?
>>
>>54074418
Not this guy, but conversely, how would you run a game where the regiment is Viet-Cong themed?
>>
>>54080773
Well, the Vietcong were a poorly-supplied guerrilla force with home-turf advantage against a military superpower with state of the art gear that inevitably had problems when pitted against wilderness and ambushes.
So they'd probably be defending their world from a Tau invasion.
>>
>>54080773

That other guy. I'd change requisitions to where they either have to find supply caches or maneuver through enemy patrols to friendly regular units to get supplies.

Missions could be ambushing enemy patrols, using traps and tactics to win or you could have them part of a larger assault to overrun enemy positions
>>
>>54032999
2, and no GK gear, just the same stuff everyone else can get.
>>
>>54067825
CTRL+f mouthbreather.
>>
Hey, which only war splat is krieg in?
>>
File: Only War.png (2MB, 1324x961px) Image search: [Google]
Only War.png
2MB, 1324x961px
>>54081521
I have no idea.
>>
>>54081578
thanks
>>
>>54032110
>probably 40k one too
If that were true, why wouldn't they announce it at the same time as the others? I mean, it's not as if they'd want to draw attention to the 40k universe or anything, not like they had a big release related to 40k that it'd be nice to have a tie-in for...
>>
>>54073814

Hammer of the Emperor (Only War)
>>
>>54073725
Wait, Corsairs *aren't* Deldar? For some reason, I thought the Commorites were all about piracy - are their slave-taking raids not seen that way?
>>
File: 1344828775960.jpg (127KB, 1003x682px) Image search: [Google]
1344828775960.jpg
127KB, 1003x682px
>>54082277

Corsairs are what happens to Craftworld Eldar when theyre too wild for the Craftworld, but too mellow for Commoragh. Its usually just a phase that Eldar go through, and then head on back to the Craftworld when they get over it.
>>
>>54082419
So, what's the difference between how Dark Eldar operate, and how Corsairs operate? Is it just the absence of kidnapping people to rape and torture later?
>>
File: 1430630082321.jpg (162KB, 490x789px) Image search: [Google]
1430630082321.jpg
162KB, 490x789px
>>54082503

Pretty much. Dark Eldar need ultra-violence to counteract the draining by Slaanesh. Corsairs and Craftworld Eldar use soulstones.

Even without ultra-violence, Corsairs are not nice people, but neither are Eldar. A Corsair won't think twice torching a pilgrim ship full of colonists, but at least he wont capture them and do assorted sadistic sick fuckery that his commorite cousins would do.
>>
I want to play as a Nurgle worshipping medic in Black Crusade. Is that possible?
>>
>>54082548
Thanks! I really do need to get a better grip on xenos lore in general.
>>
>>54082604
Medicae is nurgle aligned.
>>
>>54031540
To put things in perspective.
I'm in a paratrooper unit at the moment and we have some no-shit Korean war era handcranked radios in our inventory. The kind designed for trench warfare where some poor bastard has to crawl out through no man's land with a wire spool on his back to connect between these phones. No one knows where they came from and because of army beaurocracy, we can't get rid of them.
When I showed up at the base to in process, a paperwork glitch meant that when I graduated airborne school they didn't actually award me my jump wings and instead awarded me an entire battalion. I was a specialist at the time (about the same as a corporal, for those of you not familiar with army ranks). That got fixed fast.
There's been a couple times where going out to machine gun ranges, the ammo supply point gave us unlinked rifle ammo we couldn't use.
Armies are full of weird things like this no matter what era and I could totally believe that something as big as the the imperial guard would fuck up and send antique bolt actions to the front because of mixed up paperwork. Use it. Embrace the madness that is supply management.
>>
File: tumblr_nfzwjo9ENn1u4cu36o1_1280.jpg (369KB, 595x822px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfzwjo9ENn1u4cu36o1_1280.jpg
369KB, 595x822px
Question.

If you have a Commissar player character within an Only War PC Squad, what rank does he occupy? As I understand it, Commissars act outside of the usual rank structure, which would mean a Commissar, secure in his duties, could execute anyone with just cause, from a Trooper to a Regimental Staff Officer. This gives a PC a tremendous amount of freedom to bolt pistol his way through usual bullshit a PC squad has to suffer (incompetent officers, deadly feuds, etc).

My natural inclination is to attach a Commissar as part of every senior officers staff, to at least act as a bulwark from a PC commissar deciding to execute his company captain for trying to drop artillery down on the PC squad in his incompetence.

My other concept was just going the Dan Abnet route and making Commissars ranked officials, and making a hard line that a ranked commissar cannot dispense execution above his rank (a Captain-Commissar can't decide to off the Battalion Major because the man is an obscura addict)

Has anyone had experiences with PC Commissars in their Only War campaigns? What was it like? Did you have these issues?

Also, since the PC Commissar will be acting as the Squad Leader, I'm going to give him access to Sergeant squad Orders, so he can do that too.
>>
>>54082635
Wasn't there a story where a guard regiment got the food that was ment for the nobles instead of their usual rations, and when they didn't get it next time some killed them selves out of desperation for wanting more of that food.
>>
>>54082677
I could see it. Military food will keep you alive, but it's usually pretty bland. A soldier's best friends these days are Tabasco sauce and chewing tobacco. Both serve the purpose of hiding the taste of the food and keeping you awake and alert and not wanting to murder the guy next to you. Some guys swear by putting Tabasco in your eyes to stay awake. Dipping is a great stress relief and morale booster.
Chewing tobacco can also be used to secure favors from the E-4 mafia or keep a particularly nasty sergeant placated.
>>
File: 162.jpg (31KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
162.jpg
31KB, 480x600px
>>54082676
Commissars are capable of having ranks, but otherwise do have full authority of executing someone if they feel they are in dereliction of their duties. as is the point of the commissar.

they are brainwashed into what counts as this however and there are some people that not just any commissar can kill, Lord generals and the like are in this list. It can happen but it would have to be pretty heinous lest they be *BLAMED* themselves.

Commissars having ranks is rare, and is typically when they are assigned as needed. Gaunt in the book series was made commanding officer of all the survivors of the Tanith out of circumstance, he was normally supposed to be the regimental commissar and have other juniors to assist, however Tanith fell and thus he was the only one for the "regiment" essentially.

Other wise it is Rare for a commissar to have a rank, and even rarer for it to be a high one.

If the player wishes to be a Commissar make sure they know their lore for Commissars and understand that if they act like a stupid Commissar another one can always *BLAM* them.
>>
>>54053237
i cant remember where but there are tables that will generate random stuff that has happened to derelict ships...like...ship crew missing...ship partially radioactive..bridge filled with random debris....or ship crew taken prisoner...machine spirit gone insane..bridge partially destroyed.
>>
>>54083069
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Occurrence_Border_Random_Encounters
>>
>>54073622
>In Rogue Trader, can you buy training for a specific type of weapon for cheaper than universal training?
No.
>>54079274
Stop being afraid of homebrew, this isn't 3.PF.
>>54080848
>with state of the art gear that was pressed into service 10 years too soon due to politics and routinely failed across the board so badly it changed the paradigm of infantry arms for years to come
>>
>>54081358
Fairly hard to say, really, because GK are laser focused on being anti-daemon/psyker, and the difference between a human taking on a space marine and being pulped is gear alone.
>>
has anyone got any cool 40k spaceship interior pictures? I googled some, but google mostly returns generic sci-fi spaceships, and I need Warhammer stuff

especially command bridges
>>
>>54085197
You can always describe them anon.
>>
Before I go fiddling around with photoshop, anyone have a template for Rogue Trader printouts?
>>
So how does exterminator work in dh2?
>>
>>54082830
>he was normally supposed to be the regimental commissar and have other juniors to assist, however Tanith fell and thus he was the only one for the "regiment" essentially.
No, the rank of Colonel-Commissar was a dying gift from Warmaster Slaydo.
>>
>>54086531
Single shot flamer that you need to make a requisition test to refill, similar to all the added on weapons.
I just say it takes a *insert skill* test and a few minutes, roll on.
I also don't use the incredibly shitt combi-bolters.
>>
>>54087392
Does one need weapon training (flame) to use it tho?
>>
>>54087420
Yes, as it is a flame weapon.
>>
>>54087464
But the player might argue that it is only an attachement?
>>
>>54087520
The player is outright wrong, and needs to be kicked in the dick.
>>
>>54087543
Is it stated somewhere? Otherwise he might spaz out.
>>
DH2 question. So if talent grants a reroll of a failed test. (Iron Jaw, Strong Minded) - and the players wants to reroll that using fate point - is it allowed?

Also if a player fails a test, rerolls it - and wants to reroll it again - is it allowed?
>>
>>54087577
Yes, the part where it says "resolve as a single shot flamer weapon".
>>54087614
You can make rerolls on rolls where your initial reroll was from a talent; you could spend a fate point on a reroll you got from blademaster, but you can not reroll a test you have already spend a fate point on.
>>
I've asked before, but now I have a more specific question.

What's some media featuring friendly tech-priests? I have a player who is trying to build the most sociable Tech Priest they can in 1e DH, and I want to give them examples as they are new to the 'verse
>>
>>54087914

ciaphas Cain novel has one that he fugs
>>
>>54088240
I'm only on book two but... whaaa? O.o
>>
>>54088362

look for where amberly asks, "wait how does he know the mechadendrite is at the base of her spine?"
>>
>>54087797
God Emperor bless ya anon
>>
File: 1392871577373.gif (3MB, 300x236px) Image search: [Google]
1392871577373.gif
3MB, 300x236px
>>54088362
>whaaa? O.o
>>
File: 1430011734608.jpg (204KB, 1053x798px) Image search: [Google]
1430011734608.jpg
204KB, 1053x798px
Can anyone tell me what book this is from, I was told in the 40kg that they thought it was from an FFG roleplaying book
>>
>>54090385
Check Only War - Enemies of the Imperium.
>>
>>54090385
Looks like Enemies of the Imperium for Only War
>>
>>54090401
>>54090402
Thanks guys, cheers
>>
What was the worst battle against actually weak enemies your group has ever had?
>>
>>54091869
We just had our first actual session yesterday
>the group I'm GMing for have all played DH before
>Have them in the trenches of some random war world
>Have their first combat where a group of watered down Ork Boyz and a Nob attack then artillery positions theyre passing through
>They have at least 8 guardsmen in the trench with them
>Party can't hit shit
>The arbite that is specd into melee with blade master fails to hit an Ork 5 times in a row
>Still failed even when the ork was stunned by a crit
>Tech Priest got crit in his first turn for 27 damage to the face and had to burn fate
Was hilarious
>>
>>54092102
Was tzeench cursing their dice?
>>
>>54092207
He might as well have. Pretty sure that they will be using that excuse when they encounter their first chaos cult
>>
File: 1473895999117.jpg (259KB, 767x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1473895999117.jpg
259KB, 767x1024px
>>54072374
Well, you *can* take a Genestealer in close quarters, it's just... not advisable. They move really fast, get multiple attacks, pretty much never operate alone, and have a solid chance of ignoring your armor. Rushing them in melee is a fool's choice. You'll probably wind up fighting them in close quarters anyways, why waste your few chances to shoot them?
>>
What book has the Deathwatch background packages in it? Not the Deeds.
>>
Anyone have a list of /tg/ homebrew settings?
>>
How would you guys represent an Iron Father in Deathwatch?
>>
>>54042691
Alright, I've bit the bullet and posted some of my homebrew sector's stuff on 1d4chan.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Victorum_Sector
>>
>>54098193
Are there not rules for it? Or do you mean character-wise?
>>
>>54098462

There are rules for Techmarines, but Iron Fathers are a bit different as they share some of the command responsibilities. I'm thinking of just winging it and allowing the Iron Hands techmarine the ability to take the Chaplain alternative advance, but it does leave him lacking in command skills out the gate.
>>
>>54098477
Well, yeah, I would think he should overlap more with Chaplain. Maybe you can just house-rule some Sergeant stuff into him?
>>
Anyone got a Cheat Sheet for Only War combat?
>>
>>54099333
Game master's screen?
>>
Has anyone ever considered updating the rules for GunMetal City Char Home and the Metallican Gunslinger class for Dark Heresy 2nd? I googled, but I haven't found anything.
>>
>>54062915
>I had not read that one
>seems too specific

Which is it?
>>
>>54099361
Which books and pages are those in?
>>
>>54099384

Both are in the Inquisitors Handbook, specifically pages 23 and 72 respectively
>>
>>54099395
The homeworld would seem like just replacing 2e hive world bonus with something appropriate like gaining a +10 to tech-use tests and replacing Agility or Perception with Ballistic Skill.

From how it looks, the gunslinger is essentially the Desperado role in 2e.
>>
>>54099459

Thats about what I figured. My only thought was to switch up the aptitudes for Desperado a bit and apply the Knave of Pistols trait to balance out the rather good array of aptitudes (specifically by adding Offense and Finesse in some way). KoP makes it so that you suck with any other weapon but pistols
>>
>>54099483
What about making KoP grant a +10 to attacks made with Pistols and -10 to attacks with other weapon classes?

Maybe making Pistols count one step better for the purposes of weapon quality while wielded, but making the quality of other weapons count one step lower.
>>
File: 1297703008845.jpg (399KB, 873x851px) Image search: [Google]
1297703008845.jpg
399KB, 873x851px
>>54099525

KoP always seemed like a Trait to limit what you could do with the Metallican Gunslinger class, as it gave you a VERY good array of talents to by a lot earlier then any other career go them - but you had to use those talents with Pistols, which didn't always fit anyones particular build. And considering it made it so you could no longer buy Basic or Heavy weapon training talents (which no longer exist), its penalty should also increase. As such, the Trait would give you a -20 Penalty to using Basic or Heavy weapons - any ranged weapon that wasn't a Pistol (Melee weapons would be unaffected)

Heres the rough draft of GunMetal City Hive World and Metallican Gunslinger

>GunMetalCity
>Aptitude: Perception
>Attr Bonus: + Agility, + Ballistic Skill, - Willpower
>+10 Tech Use for Firearms (Repair, Modification, etc)
>-10 to All Tests if the character is caught without a gun or with no ammo
>Weapon Training (SP) Talent

>Metallican Gunslinger (Desperado)
>Replace DEFENSE Aptitude with OFFENSE Aptitude
>Pistol Attack after Move as Free Action
>Knave of Pistols (-20 Penalty to Basic and Heavy Weapons)
>>
>>54099375
>had not
>had
>past tense

I have read it now. I was commenting on my ignorance of it beforehand.
>>
One of my prospective player characters wants to play a Cognitae in DH2e. I've got ideas for how to build such an elite advance, but if anyone has any ideas independent of my own I'd value them. I remember there being a Cognitae-alike in the Radical's Handbook 1e, are there similar things in other books?
>>
File: 1470840908580.jpg (18KB, 255x143px) Image search: [Google]
1470840908580.jpg
18KB, 255x143px
>>54043106
I've got one anon see name

filedropper com / darkheresythelatheworlds
>>
So me and the GM had a Skype call (RP will be over Skype) for character creation for DW (I'm the guy asking for help with my group being new to the system) so he could check what I rolled (all the other characters had done in a previous Session 0 which I couldn't make so me and the GM had a catch up).

The GM didn't seem to have issues with my character, but I'm not well-versed enough in 40k RPGs to tell whether or not my character would be any good?

I'm not looking to break the game or anything, just making sure it's viable.

Name: Battle-Brother Tyranus Kahu
Chapter: Red Carnosaurs (Custom Chapter)
Gene Seed: Imperial Fists (Betcher Gland & Sus-an membrane inoperative)
Speciality: Tactical Marine
Height & Weight: Standard
Appearance: Light Brown Skin, Dark Brown Hair, Grey Eyes, Service Stud (50 years), Serious Scarring Horizontal on right side of face
Chapter Past: After the Apocalypse
Demeanour: Stoic
Special Ability: Tactical Expertise
Primarchs Curse: Death before Dishonour
Power Armour History: Terror be thy Friend ( Fear 1)
--
Characteristics
WS: 47 + 5 (Chapter Bonus)
BS: 43 + 5 (Chapter Bonus)
Str: 47
Tgh: 40
Agly: 46
Int: 42
Perp: 40
Will: 41
Fshp: 40 + 5 (Purchased)
--
Wounds: 23
Fate points: 3
Movement: 5/10/15/30 MpR (Armoured), 4/8/12/24 MpR (Unarmoured)
--
Standard Equipment (Tactical Marine Speciality)
- Bolter w/ Fire Selector
- 1 x Clip of Special Issue Ammo (Max. 25 Req)
--
Talents
(Purchased from Tactical Marine and Chpater Advance Table)
- Rapid Reload
- Blademaster
- Combat Master
--
Traits
(All)
- Unnatural Strength (x2)
- Unnatural Toughness (x2)

Custom Chapter took the Strength of Arms advance table and I've removed all the talents and skills that all marines have access since we will all have those.

Also RoB didn't have a Primarchs curse generator so I just took the Imperial Fist one since that seemed appropriate as they are IF successors.
>>
How does Only War's regiment favored weapon work? It says 1 Basic and 1 Heavy, but how do you know what is what?

Like, if I want Chainaxes to be a Favored Weapon, are they Basic?
>>
>>54103066
You choose your regiment's favored weapon, or the FFG regiments will tell you what they are.
>>
>>54103066
>Like, if I want Chainaxes to be a Favored Weapon, are they Basic?
No, because chainaxes have the type Melee. Compared to say Boltguns, which are type basic, or heavy flamers which are type Heavy.
Nothing stops you from houseruling it if you really want to though.
>>
File: admech pinup.jpg (205KB, 809x1180px) Image search: [Google]
admech pinup.jpg
205KB, 809x1180px
>>54100003
Blighted Schola in Radical's handbook is the only thing I can think of. It's fun, and it's pretty much the same thing as Cognitae. In my campaign I decided they're explicitly linked organizations.
>>54101012
He's gonna be pretty BA.
Stats are more or less standard, but your WS/BS are very high for a starting character, which is good. Tactical Marines tend to prefer shooting, but it looks like you've taken some close quarters talents. Not a bad thing, as this makes you an all-arounder who can support the specialized members of your squad. Also, getting in close will help with your Fear rating, which is good.
Does your squad have a "Default Leader" yet? If not, I would consider taking some Command skill increases, as since you're a tactical you're going to obe the best at it.
>>
>>54103143
>>54103077
What is considered Basic then? Grenade Launchers, Flamers, Long-Las, Heavy Stubbers?
>>
>>54103166
Wasn't the Blighted Schola founded by Cassilda Cognos?
>>
>>54103700

No you mongoloid, Basic weapons. Not Pistols. Not Heavy. Not Mounted. Not Melee. Basic.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 752x929px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 752x929px
>>54103700
The ones that are Basic weapons like the guy said. I'm not sure how this is so hard to grasp.
>>
>>54103792
>>54103807
Oh. I was thinking in terms of what Black Library has regiments using as special weapons.
>>
>>54103712
She was associated with the known founders. Probably had a hand in it.

>>54103166
Blighted Schola doesn't scream "genius sociopathic ubermenschen" to me. I'm not trying to let this guy start play as Zygmunt Molotch though. Definition of Canon Sue.
>>
>>54103848
... Have you considered reading the book, with comprehension? Not codexes, not black library. The FFG RPG 40k Only War core book?
>>
>>54105557
This. It couldn't hurt!

>RTFM you stupid fuck, why do we even bother
>>
>>54105482
Here's an idea.

Cognitae Legacy 700 xp

Must be taken at character creation.

Genius: Home World Characteristic Modifiers altered so that they include +Int and -Fel. Receive Unnatural Intelligence equal to Int Bonus.

Sociopath: Aptitudes altered so that Fel and Social are not taken, but Int and Knowledge are. However, any test which would normally use Fel may be taken on Int.

Allies in the Shadows: Learns Logic and may purchase Peer (Criminal Cartels and Heretical Cults) at any time.

Eugenic Heritage: If the character rolls below +10 for a characteristic other than Fel, it becomes +10. If using point buy, all stats except Fel and Ifl must have at least 5 points allocated to them.
>>
>>54106606
Oh, and 2d5-1 each of Insanity and Corruption points.
>>
>>54106606

That's a bloody lot of unnatural int, considering they also use it for all social skills too.
>>
>>54106656
I also forgot to add that if they fail a test on Intelligence by more degrees of failure they gain 1d5 Insanity points.

You're quite right though. I want the character to, when they succeed, excel, but for devastating failures to crack their psyche and arrogance.
>>
Did anyone try out The Good The Bad The Alpha legion book? Did it do justice to my beloved Night Lords?
>>
>>54103166

The group doesn't have a default leader yet, although I was thinking about adding some command related skills after 1 or 2 missions.

The only thing that I wish I could take is Swift Attack, at least before Rank 6. I'm not sure how long this campaign will go but Rank 6 seems like a hell of distance from the beginning.

Otherwise I'm glad he has come out looking good! The custom chapter has a thing for glorious Melee combat so I wanted to have a bit of an Melee emphasis whilst still very much being a Tactical Marine.
>>
40k and dark heresy newfag here, is the example adventure in the core rulebook of 2e any good? From a quick skimming, it seems a bit on the dry side, but I'm not entirely sure of the tone I should be aiming for with dh. Going to be gming for a group of people all of which only have vague knowledge of the warhammer setting.

Also any pro tips for gming the game would be nice.
>>
>>54108739

The tone depends on what time period you want to set the game in, what type of enemies you wish to use, and how powerful you want the players to get. It will influence descriptions, what tech level they see, and how many different factions of the Imperium they will interact with.
>>
>>54105557
Because the rule isn't explained in Regiment Creation. It just says
>1 basic weapon
>1 heavy weapon
And based on what you guys are saying, Favored Weapon can be Lasgun and something stupid like Ripper Gun.
>>
File: Favored weapons.png (1MB, 1410x931px) Image search: [Google]
Favored weapons.png
1MB, 1410x931px
>>54110703
>>
>>54110802
>spoonfeeding drooling cockbiting fucktards

shiggdiggity
>>
>>54110703
Can you even breathe without assistance?
>>
>>54110703
Ok, so...Maybe read the books in more depth in the future. Seems like you skipped or skimmed some of the stuff at the beginning. I'll spoonfeed you, little buddy, don't worry.

Basic weapons are ranged, 2-handed weapons. That means that you have to use both of your hands to hold it and it can make ouchies on the mean people on the Emperor's naughty list without you needing to touch them.

A quiz: Which of the following weapons is basic?

A) Heavy Bolter
B) Rocket Launcher
C) Plasma Gun
D) Chainsword
>>
>>54108739
It's a good starting point, and it's easy to transition to the other adventure books if you want (desolation of the dead, forgotten gods)
>>
>>54108739
The end of it pits the group against a daemonhost so you might want to change that or not.
>>
Im going to be the game master for me and my friends first only war campaign, and I had in mind that they are going to be tank crew on the frontlines, but I cannot pick what type of tank (and crew) they are going to have. But so far I have narrowed it down to two options;
The standard Leman Russ battle tank crew, where I might put them in a more of a urban area, and the other was a Salamader Scout crew who scout the frontlines for enemies, and mark them down so the Imperial Artillery can rain down the Emperors judgement onto the heretics
>>
>>54114556
What question are you asking?
>>
>>54114642
I was wondering what would be easier to run with as a crew to
>>
>>54114647
That depends if they want more fighting or more scouting.
>>
>>54114647

Hellhound/Bane Wolf. Because fuck longevity.
>>
File: Jetstream.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Jetstream.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>mfw when a post-campaign session rips the end of the Dark Knight off
>mfw the player loved it and it was appropriate and in-character
>>
>>54042700
No but witch hunters think they are, some would probably get in trouble for the fuck up.
>>
Is there a version of this form fillable character sheet that is not bugged/ doesn't have the sections that cant be unselected?
>>
>>54117600
Story time?
>>
>>54119012
The TL;DR is that the campaign has ended, but one of my players wanted a little closure for his character that was beyond the campaign finale. So we had;
>Radical Ordo Malleus Inquisitor that is allying with Necrons to destroy the Warp.
>His master is leading a giant witch-hunt to bring him in for excommunication or execution.
>His Master is Duke Inquisitor Octavius Electius. He's a pretty cool dude in a metal sarcophagus ala Ravenor
>Trapped in a smaller Dreadnought after a Defiler beat the shit out of him two campaigns prior.
>He's gone mildly insane and has been sending assassins and the like after the PCs in order to 'toughen them up' and 'keep them on their toes'
>The Radical PC has spent three campaigns spouting rubbish like "let's not fracture the Inquisition with factions. Let's just work together guys!"
>PC is cornered in a graveyard of Pilgrims who tried to climb a mountain a Saint died at the top of (old campaign again)
>Octavius approaches him. His kill-teams are behind him ordered to hold their fire
>PC is cordial, they greet as father and son, both say they're sorry it came to this but they'd do it again in a heartbeat
>Octavius has finally come around to his pupils way of thinking. He's leading a Conclave of 27 Inquisitors, all dedicated to bringing the PC in. Nobody is pushing agendas or politics
>Everyone is working together towards a common purpose, and it's working
>The PC needs to escape. He needs to tie himself into as many heresies as he can, the Conclave will burst through them to reach the PC.
>Shit will get done.
>It just needs something to push it into overdrive.
>Electius lowers his environmental defences and slowly begins to succumb to the cold of the arctic world
>Implores PC to kill him and then vanish, save the Sector while damning it.
>PC fires his Baleful eye, ripping the Sarcophagus in two in a huge explosion, PC is blasted back, losing half his face in the process.
>He phases out and is pulled into a Necron Tomb World.
>>
>>54120546
Love it
>>
Would this be too cruel to throw at my players in Dark Heresy?
>The PCs investigate as usual
>Suddenly a hive quake rips the section apart and they fall down deeper into the underhive
>They will wake up in an old decommissioned waste repurposing faculty that has been flooded and now more akin to a underground bog
>As they shine their flashlights and glow-globes around giant Xeno insects starts to wake up

Basically I want to copy this scene from King Kong https://youtu.be/DTWYQhTT388, since my players have nagged about there not being enough scary encounters
>>
>>54121589
No that sounds like great fun. Just make sure your players are aware somehwat of the possibility of a Hive Quake. Maybe a news report or something beforehand?
>>
>>54121829
They are aware of hive quakes, only that this will be the first time they are going to be in the center of one.
>>
>>54082548
I think Dark Eldar actually could also use soul stones, but they refuse to. Also, Commorragh doesn't run on dead Eldar souls, so they don't need to.
>>
>>54121589
Add in a Brain Leaf or something, I find it fits nicely with your idea.
>>
>>54022726
>Besides the Horus Heresy and the modern Dark Millennium, do you ever consider running games in other periods, like the War of the Beast or the Macharian Crusades?

>"Won't touch it unless it's official" Edition

You answered yourself, mate. There's just so much material to work with already, I don't really feel the need to stray too far from it.
>>
>>54053823
Do you recommend the module? Might want to run it at some point.
>>
>>54068624
It's somewhere around Turkey too, where the Emperor's supposed to have been born. What does it mean?
>>
>>54071570
Go check the 40k general perhaps?
>>
>>54124096

Sounds like my GM, but he came from a 3.PF background and things outside the books make him afraid.
>>
>>54124460
Oh, originality is a must, that's why there's things like xeno-generating. Anything can be created. But I'd rather it be at least tangentially related to the established setting.
>>
>>54124460
40k rpgs are more friendly to new content as long as the person making them has a goal in mind and has a good grasp on the mechanics.

Willingness to go though all of the books or ask if something they want is already there helps too.
>>
NEW

>>54125556
>>54125556
>>54125556
>>
Has anyone thought about running a game during the Indomitus Crusade? It seems interesting to have the imperium at a low point trying to retake territory rather than trying to keep what they have.
>>
>>54124142
"The Inquisition Wars" puts the Emperors Palace in/through the Himalayas. Although, that's just one authors take on it I suppose.
>>
>>54032026
cubicle 7. the one ring, dr who, new lone wolf game.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.