[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

8e T'au Discussion Part 7: Warhammer 40k Army List Builder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 20

File: VZsJ6K.jpg (1MB, 2134x1200px) Image search: [Google]
VZsJ6K.jpg
1MB, 2134x1200px
Last Thread: >>53936637

Chart-anon's damage calculations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Post your tactics, BR, ideas, lists, ideas for faq...
>>
Why can't we all get along, like this two.
>>
>>54004388
That game was fun but man, was it raping the lore sideways.
>>
>>54004423
That's not fucking canon!!
>>
>>54004388
>our army is so special we need our own general
>>
Soooo, as someone who plans to start a Tau army, what is the consensus on Strike, Breacher and pathfinder teams? Viabilty? Good synergies and loadouts?

Would like to get at least 30-40 Fire Warriors, 10 of them Breachers in a Devilfish (the rest pulse rifles) into my list, but wanted to hear what you guys think.
>>
>>54006158
Our grunts got quite a bit better now thanks to the changes in general game mechanics. You can't go wrong with them, but I recommend you get a Fireblade or two for their buffs and a Pulse Accelerator Drone from the pathfinders (which you can now move independently and stick him near the Strike teams for that sweet 36" range).
>>
File: Broadside.jpg (503KB, 1920x1751px) Image search: [Google]
Broadside.jpg
503KB, 1920x1751px
>>54006615
Not him, but I'm also starting a Tau army. First army, really dragging my feet on getting it all painted.

So glad grunts got a buff. My first list had 40 or so Fire Warriors (mostly strike with breachers in a devilfish) and some Pathfinders with only a handful of suits.
>>
1st for remoras are trash
>>
>>54005998

The generals are dogshit a lot of the time. Most factions have been floating their own threads too.
At least these threads tend to be focused and on topic

>>54006158

Strike and paths are good as far as I know
>>
Remember to write to GW to ensure you receive goodies like balance tweaks.

>>54008641

missilefists never look not silly
>>
Would 60 boyz under a Big Mek KFF be able to withstand T'au fire while footslogging, or am I fugged?
>>
>>54011765

Depends on the army shooting at you I imagine.
Footslogging gives a decent chance to get shot at so it comes down to whether he has the firepower and maneuverability to outshoot you and stave off combat.

If you're mobbing and the other guy brings as much volume of fire then... Yeah, you might be screwed cause gun drone lines can produce tons of fire and are very point efficient.
>>
>>54011815
Then what can I do? How the hell can I get my 100+ boyz into combat?
>>
1st for special snowflake weeaboo general
>>
>>54011821

Hope you aren't versing drone spam?
Use deepstrikes?
Transports?
>>
>>54011689
I feel like missile fists might work okay if it was just one missile fist and the other hand was doing something else.
>>
>>54004388
Played Tau in 3rd through 5th edition before I fell out of love with 40k and sold them all. What's the absolute max number of suits (particularly XV8s) a list can get away with these days before it becomes an impediment? I've done a little research on 8e and it sounds like suits in general are too expensive to field in huge numbers and the Farsight Enclaves aren't looking too hot either.

As someone who never liked the ridiculously big FW suits and Riptide stuff but was always a fan of the flexibility of the XV8s, I'm mixed on what I've heard from 8e. Not looking to cheese, but I've always liked suit heavy lists and if there was a way to pull that off in 8e while still putting up a decent fight, that'd be nice.

Say I was keeping to 1000 points for now, is a Coldstar Commander and a squad of 3 XV8s already too much with the increased point costs? I wouldn't mind swapping that out for stealth suits and the Ghostkeel, that thing look cool. I like most of the suits and just want to field as many as I can get away with without seriously hamstringing myself.
>>
>>54011970
>good suits:
commander
coldstar
stealth
ghostkeel
stormsurge
tau'nar
>Bad
Riptide
Crisis
>No verdict yet
XV109
XV107
Tau'nar
>Not a suit but the worst unit in the codex RAW
tigershark AX-1-0
>>
>>54011970
Yeah
I'd run the keel instead of crisis
Stealths are good too
>>
Is bringing multiple commanders even fluffy or non-WAACfaggy? Being able to dump an almost-invincible character within melta range and with enough firepower and stats to delete whatever he's thrown at as soon as he arrives for 160 points sounds pretty WAACfaggy to me.

Crisis Suits aren't that bad, they can essentially do the same for a little bit cheaper but have balanced stats. Plus you can bring 6 gun drones with them for more overall evenly-distributed dakka.
>>
>>54012286
well it depends on how many commanders you are bringing.
In my current WAAC list I have 5 hqs
2 Cadre fireblades
1 farsight
1 commander with 4 fusions blasters + shield drone
1 Buffmander XV84 with 9 marker drones and 1 shield drones
Would you consider this waacy?
>>
>>54012319
Does it win?
>>
>>54012319
No, that doesn't sound too bad. I mean the "load up 6 commander with guns and alpha strike them" thing. THAT I consider WAACy. I use a single commander with 2 guns and 2 systems which is really all I need as I have plenty of fusion elsewhere.
>>
>>54012401
I'm 2/1/0 with it so far
first was against orks running that fw biker hq with boyz footslogging under kff, nobs in a trukk and meganobz footslogging with lootas firing from range, i won
second game was against no legion csm.
guy ran footslogging cultists, csm in rhinos, chosen with special weaps, helbrutes, forgefiends, warpsmith, fark apostle and lord in termie armour, i won
last game was against new admech, no objectives here so only kill points, I pulled off a last minute tie by nova charging my Y'vahra ion cannon and raping a damaged onager with 4 wounds + 3 mortal wounds to tie the game
>>54012405
that is fair enough, I only have 4 crisis suits so if I'm bored I might try a 1000 point list with 4 commanders + farsight commander bomb and recreate 7th edition levels of cheese all over again
>>
What do people think of Hazards? burst cannon hazards pump out nice amount of shots
>>
File: EZxOVTy.jpg (657KB, 2550x4200px) Image search: [Google]
EZxOVTy.jpg
657KB, 2550x4200px
>You see shas'la vlad'mir, when make of the cadre ALL commanders, enemy will never know which to shoot.
>>
>>54012790
burst cannon hazards good, others not so much
for a suit heavy list they replace crisis suits quite nicely for burst cannons, allowing you to take fusion commanders, keels and stealthsuits to fill in gaps
>>
File: tourney.png (143KB, 676x2864px) Image search: [Google]
tourney.png
143KB, 676x2864px
pic is the list I've been using for games so far
the piranha and the riptide represent a XV109 with target lock+ATS and a Barracuda AX-5-2 with swiftstrike railgun+cyclic ion blasters
>>
>>54012862
>burst cannon hazards good
Perfect.

My hazards have been one of my favourite models, so I would have been so sad to see them become worse.
>>
>>54012070
>Bad
>Riptide
>Crisis
LOL
>>
>>54012286
>Being able to dump an almost-invincible character within melta range
"Melta" range is 9". You must deploy >9".

>Crisis Suits aren't that bad, they can essentially do the same for a little bit cheaper but have balanced stats.
Crisis Suits are great for missile pods, cyclic ion blasters, and flamers. I wouldnt bring any other equipment on them.
>>
>>54013764
>"Melta" range is 9". You must deploy >9".
All Commander strategies use homing beacons to DS within like 4 inches.

>Crisis Suits are great for missile pods, cyclic ion blasters, and flamers. I wouldnt bring any other equipment on them.
Agreed on that. Something that has the rate of fire to still get good results with BS4+ or something that completely bypasses it
>>
>>54013819
>All Commander strategies use homing beacons to DS within like 4 inches.
Homing beacons are 1 use per commander, and each homing beacon is essentially 110 points

Something worth considering
>>
>>54013829
.. the fuck are you talking about? Homing beacons are 1 use per stealthsuit squad but they're 20 points.

You only really need 1 for a crisis suit flamer drop
>>
>>54013887
He's talking about the cost of the stealth team to bring the homing beacon.
>>
I don´t know if this was discussed before but know that i see the effect of the photon grenades, there´s my question, if i overwatch with 2 different Fire Warrior squads and i fire one photon grenade for each of them,if both of them impact, does the ability stack, meaning that the squad charging me will hit me with a -2?
>>
>>54013906
Oh ok, but stealthsuits are great now so they'll pull their workload for sure. My 12 are always an auto-include.

I just rolled some dice to test out a 6-Flamer+ATS drop with a 3-man XV8 bodyguards and shit that's sweet. Average about 3 dead TH/SS terminators everytime I shoot.

>They charge you, autohits
>They try to run away, forgoing or gimping their shooting phase
>You chase 8" and can advance without a problem cause autohits
>They shoot you
>lmao 6drone!1
>>
>>54013970
No. The wording says 'subtract 1 from any hit rolls made for infantry units that have suffered any hits from photon grenades until the end of the turn'
>>
>>54014038
Do you deploy yours in midfield or in your deployment? All my midfielders just get rekt immediately instead of my other units, but I'm starting to think that's a huge waste and I might start putting them in my front line.
>>
>>54014059
I have never ever fielded Crisis Suits save for my Commander, I don't even own any but him. So I'm just doing some theorycrafting and will playtest with proxies to test them out before I decide to buy a box.

If you're talking about stealthsuits, I tend to infiltrate them midfield in cover. -1 to hit and 2+ save actually makes my opponents refuse to bother with them. They are mobile so you won't have much issues starting in the deployment zone I'd wager. I have your problem with my Ghostkeel, it's too tasty a target for most of my opponents, it's only ever survived one game in 7th.
>>
>>54012838
>not shas'la d'islav
>>
>>54014091
Yeah, I've been deploying my three teams of three stealth suits in cover, but they just get shot and charged on turn one. It doesn't help that I was bringing a Brigade and as a result usually went second. I'm thinking about changing the tactic and dropping two or three squads in midfield in the same area, rather than stringing them out like I have been doing, or just dropping them in the front line beside the Fire Warriors and Pathfinders for a bit of extra protection.
>>
>>54014091
>it's too tasty a target for most of my opponents, it's only ever survived one game in 7th.
Ghostkeel is the best bait unit in the game

It's very easy to deploy the GK behind cover so it has a 2+ save. Put the drones out of LOS to absorb heavy weapon shots.

It's not particularly tanky but it does enough damage that your opponent can't ignore it. They'll always put themselves within 12" of it to ignore the -2 hit penalty, and then probably try to charge it, too.

This is terrible positioning and you can easily exploit it.

Ghostkeel is the epitome of bait and trap strategy
>>
>>54014142
I would love some tips on positioning to fuck 'em up then. At the very least my expensive beautiful suit dies for something.
>>
>>54014209
You want it to be a midfield unit. You need to know:
1. What guns the enemy has, and what they do
2. The range of their heavy weapons (after movement)

Try to stay out of 12" threat range of the heavy weapons but in range of the faster units so you can draw them in. If you deploy correctly the drones will be out of LOS so you will definitely survive heavy weapon fire (especially with -2 hit) and the light weapons fire won't do too much damage against your T6 and 2+ save.

Woods and Battlescape are my favourite scenery to deploy a Ghostkeel, since they reduce enemy charges by 2". Float over a Gravity drone from a pathfinder team and you reduce enemy charges by an additional D3".

Alternatively you can use the Ghostkeel as a flank guard to ward off deep strike. This works well if you have a gun nest positioned n a corner that draws the enemy in and some more mobile units (Commander, Coldstar, Sunshark, Crisis) going where necessary to exploit weaknesses.
Adding a ghostkeel with an Early Warning Override as a midfield anti-deployment unit means that there is no way for the enemy to get close to your gun nest with deep strikes. If they deploy within 12" they get shot, if they deploy > 12" they have -2 to hit with shooting and CANNOT charge you.

Ghostkeel is a great unit but I think people expect it to be doing more damage and survive more attacks. If you want that kind of unit then you should take a Riptide instead.
>>
>>54014309
Damn this is some good shit, lad. I already use a gunline flanked by MSU Kroot Hounds to completely deny my half of the board any deepstrike bullshit though, so I'm covered there.
>>
>>54014209
Not the guy you're replying to, but a good trap might be putting it just ahead of a blob of Fire Warriors and Cadre Fireblade. If they want to negate the Ghostkeel's defense, they need to get close, and if they're that close they're opening themselves up to a full-strength 15" volley of pulse rifle fire. Basically:

Deploy Ghostkeel with the front of its base 8" away from the fire warrior blob. Allow enemy to get within 12" of ghostkeel. They will end their move 18-20" away from the Fire Warriors. Move Fire Warrior blob up 6" into 15" rapid fire range, use Cadre Fireblade embedded in the blob to get 3 shots per FW. If you want to make the trap even more devious, bring a pulse accelerator drone on a Pathfinder squad to extend the FW rapid fire range to 18", letting you deploy the FW 3" further back from the Ghostkeel and putting the threat range of the FW rapid fire at 24". Bonus points for hiding them in a Devilfish so that nasty blob isn't on your opponent's mind when they're closing in on the Ghostkeel.
>>
>>54014357
Good shit my man, I got a strong gunline. Though instead of devilfish, I use shieldlines. It's pretty good bait and you can still shoot them even if the enemy is in CC with it since it's a fortification but THEY still need to disengage.
>>
>>54014402
Not bad. I've been thinking of getting a Ghostkeel for the exact strategy that I outlined. I own two Shieldlines but haven't used them yet because they just seemed too squishy for me. Now that I've been getting my Devilfish blown away by my mate's Dark Eldar, I'm starting to think that two shieldlines for roughly the cost of a Devilfish is a pretty good deal. The one disadvantage they have is that only one unit can enter a shieldline, meaning I can't bring MSU to negate the heinous damage of morale on my Fire Warriors. I should probably give it a crack, though.
>>
>>54014309
Shit I lost some of the post

3. Their fast units, and how fast they go
>>
>>54014497
Noted, brother. Thank you!
>>54014462
I honestly found them useful. My last game I tried two. One for 10-man pathfinders and another for 9 breachers with darkstrider. The idea was that a unit charges the shieldline, I disembark and shoot them with 18 AP-2 shots that wound on 2s thanks to Darkstrider's ability. The problem was it got blown up turn 1 at ranged from lucky lascannon barrages.

BUT it still saved my breachers and allowed me to butcher a vanguard veteran squad. the pathfinders, for the first time ever, didn't get wiped out. In fact, they took no casualties and the their shieldline tarpitted an assault squad which got torn apart by Kroot Hounds.
>>
At first glance it seems like tanks (T7, 13+W) are quite durable, but in actual games this is not the case. Our tanks are large models that struggle to get in cover and out of LOS, which makes them easy targets for heavy weapons like lances and lascannons.

They are durable against smaller fire (S3-5) but are blown apart quite easily by heavy fire (S8+, AP4) because they don't have any kind of invuln save.

I find the Ghostkeel and Riptide to be the best defensive units that Tau can field.
Heavy weapons can be absorbed by nearby drones, effectively giving you 4-6 more wounds per drone (always assume enemies will roll high for heavy weapons) and small fire is less effective against their high toughness and good saves.

The Riptide is ESPECIALLY durable! I don't think people give the Riptide enough credit in 8th edition.
Against heavy weapons you have the same toughness and wounds as a tank (T7, 14W) but with drones soaking heavy weapon hits and a 3+ invuln you are not as vulnerable to lascannons and the like.

Against small fire you have a 2+ save, can give it Stim Injectors for a 6+ ignore, make it your warlord for another 6+ ignore, and bring technical drones to heal it for D3.

I love the new Riptide. It is a great bait unit and it does decent damage to boot.
>>
The more i think about it, the more I want to try 3 XV8s with flamers and ATS and 6 gun drones. This shit can solve all my problems I'm having with my friend's immortal SM HQs and TH/SS termies.

Fuck mortal wounds, you don't need seekers when the world's on fucking fire!

..but is it fluffy? I'm on a forest world. You'd think my Tau would be reluctant to cause a fire that might end up consuming a continent.
>>
>>54015353
>..but is it fluffy?
This is why narrativefags are the worst
>>
>>54015397
What a load of bologna. The narrative is one of the funner parts of the game. It gets you in the game, shapes how you build and paint your dudes and how you play, what tactics you use and how you deal with objectives.

Unless you're a WAACfag in which case go play a different game like vidya. Only 60 bucks with no effort required.
>>
>>54015437
>im not going to use this amazing option for my army because muh headcanon
>using flamers makes you a WAACfag

Truly the worst
>>
>>54015353
>You'd think my Tau would be reluctant to cause a fire that might end up consuming a continent.

Are all your fights in your planet? If not, it makes sense to have a specialized crispy unit to work on other planets
>>
>>54015353
>ain't me starts playing
>>
>>54015353
>flamers on a forest world

It does seem like a very effective weapon, sort of "mutually assured destruction" kind of a thing.

The real thing you want to ask yourself, is are you tau the good guys or the bad guys?
>>
>>54015458
It's not that flamers are WAAC but I do like narrative
>>54015499
>>54015673
Good points, I don't know why I never thought of that. But I also thought .. it really is for the greater good, even logically. Better to burn out a
threat and lose a large swathe of forest than lose the planet.
>>54015524
Hah, yeah I actually got told by my friend that shit's perfect for jungle/forest combat because of WW2 bunkers and Vietnam.

A fair few of my dudes have camo too. Lock and load!
>>
>>54015227
I do wish Tanks had some of the same survivability options as battlesuits, like being able to get Shield Generators or offload wounds to drones.

It feels like there's very little reason to have the old dividing line between them now
>>
>>54015856
Fluffwise there is no reason for not having repair drones for vehicles. Gameplaywise it's ok if vehicle repairing is not t'au thing but that's a bit flimsy when literally everyone (sans eldar?) can repair their vehicles somehow. If that's the case then give us sensor spines back to gain cover more easily for vehicles.
>>
>>54015856
I think we just need to view our tanks as long range support, and hopefully put enough threats in our opponents face that they have to deal with the midfield before they get a chance to fire at our long range.

Tanks are definitely stronger against mortal wounds though! Drones can't soak mortal wounds from psykers, and a 6W broadside can be killed by a single lucky Smite while a tank doesn't even get knocked down to half health.
>>
>>54011103
;_;
>>
>>54015993
I don't know if I'd call that 'stronger' so much as just the battlesuits not having an advantage there. Granted, our tanks arent often designed to be in the thick of things, but neither are those Broadsides.

>>54015900
Yeah, that's another big glaring weird point, with how technical drones can patch up all manners of battlesuits but can't do the same for a vehicle or whatnot.

Maybe they wanted to avoid such thinga affecting flyers, since then you'd have something fast and hard to hit that's constantly getting healed or shrugging off wounds, but the Coldstar commander also already exists
>>
>>54016219
technical drones cannot keep up with flyers... they'll heal them twice in a game, at most

unless you have ' mobile repair stations' everywhere
>>
>>54006158
My understanding is that Breachers are good for holding a spot. Set them up in cover, maybe with some ranged support from a missile drone and some pathfinders to drop markers, and they can hold a tactical objective especially against melee armies. Since their guns work best at close ranges, overwatch is especially dangerous.
>>
>>54016288
Well, technical drones to heal in some spots, and then normal drones spread around to take hits.

Like I said, it's possible they wanted to avoid that, but you jusy pointed out why it wouldn't be a feasible plan. Aside from the Interceptor drones on the sunshade, which honestly should be perfectly capable of eating hits for the bomber.
>>
>>54004388
T'au is a planet

Tau is a species and the name of the faction
>>
>>54016354
the faction changed its name to T'au Empire
>>
++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP ++
+ HQ +
Commander [6 PL, 120pts]: 4x Plasma rifle
Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP ++
+ HQ +
+ Elites +
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 115pts]: Drone controller, Homing Beacon
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 95pts]: Drone controller
+ Fast Attack +
Tactical Drones [6 PL, 80pts]: 10x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP ++
+ HQ +
+ Elites +
+ Fast Attack +
Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

Yes/No?
>>
>>54016219
>I don't know if I'd call that 'stronger' so much as just the battlesuits not having an advantage there.
It's definitely stronger. Mortal wounds are always in small, fixed amounts and being able to mitigate them is key.

A smite doing 3 wounds and killing a crisis suit can be 70 to 100 points of damage, while a smite doing 3 wounds and killing 3 fire warriors did 24 points worth of damage.

Tanks are less vulnerable to mortal wounds than most battlesuits. I think Riptides are the exception because they can be healed by Tech drones.

Mitigating mortal wounds is an important part of the overall strategy of the game
>>
>>54016297
>Since their guns work best at close ranges, overwatch is especially dangerous.
Most enemies will charge out of the 5" range, and end up with a 5-10" charge.

At 10" S5 AP1 2 shots per model is still pretty good for overwatch, but snapshotting breachers wont do much damage and if they get charged then they'll be dead pretty quick after that.
>>
>>54015993
Pretty sure drones can soak mortal wounds. SInce if you check the rules for it (page 181) it says that you "allocate it as any other wound", at which point a loyal drone can heriocally sacrifice itself.
>>
File: metal-gear-rising-nanopast.jpg (519KB, 860x484px) Image search: [Google]
metal-gear-rising-nanopast.jpg
519KB, 860x484px
>>54017568
So, is pic related correct for riptides using nova reactor?
>>
>>54017568
I think that it would normally have to specify mortal wounds.

Some abilities specify they activate "when you take a wound or mortal wound" and others say "when you lose a wound" and both of those would work on mortal wounds.

It says "you can choose to allocate any wounds to the Drones instead of the target unit". My interpretation is that this takes place during the step where the enemy has rolled to hit/wound and you are selecting which units are going to make a save against it.

It makes sense for the Drone to get in the way of missile or melee weapons, but it wouldn't make sense for a drone to take the mortal wound from a nova reactor.

I think for now I'll play assuming it doesn't work and hopefully they FAQ it
>>
>>54017710
I suppose that yes one could do that according to RAW, but I would never use it myself because it's absolute bullshit. The wording is "Riptide Shas’vre suffers a mortal wound." after all which is pretty much identical to smite except it says unit, but that could be enough to differentiate them.

But drones throwing themselves in a kongaline to absorb a railgun shot I can see happening.
>>
I really wish there was some way to take the more 'specialist' drones outside of their specific units. It'd be really fun to have an Interceptor Drone escort for a Commander without having to take a Sunshark
>>
>>54017568
But MW are not "any other wound". Wound allocation is a step in the standard attack sequence, a sequence which psychic powers (and other weird effects like Nova Reactor) do not go through.

That's my interpretation, anyway. It seems strange for a Drone to intercept mind-bullets, or to somehow take the hit from a Nova Reactor. Really needs a FAQ.
>>
>>54017794
>>54017898

I'm sure you aren't supposed to be able to soak Nova Wounds, but Smite and other outside sources of Mortal wounds you should be able to soak with drones imo.

They should just have written "The riptide suffers 1 dmg or loses a wound" and it would be clear with no shenanigans (Sense of Stone/Stims would still apply because they activate at this step anyway).
>>
>>54017898
They say to allocate it like any other wound, you just skip step 1 and 2 go straight to step 3 with no saves allowed.
>>
>>54017867
Well I don't know about tau tech but I could see them using drones as emergency heatsinks. Sure it reduces the drone to a molten slag but it's for the greater good.
>>
>>54017967
so RAW a drone can absorb the nova reactor

So bring a squad of gun drones near your riptide to give it +1 wound per turn

Thanks GW
>>
>>54016297

Can always fall back and fighting retreat with darkstrider too
>>
>>54013752
Not an argument
>>
>>54017932
I'd be fine with them ruling that Drones can block Smite and/or other MW powers, I'd just like that to be made clear in the rules. Presently it's a funky grey-area.
>>
>>54018224
you made the initial claim that riptide is bad

burden of proof is on you

these threads have discussed the riptide to great length and it made me realize the riptide is still bretty damn gud
>>
>>54018270
I'm not the guy you were originally talking to. I just thought you could make a better counter argument than just green texting.
>>
>>54018077
If you model the drones with fire extinguishers I wouldn't even mind.
>>
>>54017041
I might consider a bit more ML support; 10 PFs for a 2000pt army seems a bit on the low side.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
>>54018319
Leaked art of new Tau codex
>>
>>54018319
They could pretty easily come up with some good-enough explanation out their asses; "The drone links its circuits to the Riptide, an electrical current arcing to the drone, frying its circuits be leaving the Riptide unharmed!" or something.
>>
File: shas'o.jpg (67KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
shas'o.jpg
67KB, 800x430px
>>54018355
>>
Thoughts on the Barracuda? I haven't seen many people talking about it. Would one with a Railgun be decent as anti-air?
>>
>>54018496
4x FB Commanders are our best anti-plane unit

>drop wherever you want
>BS2+
>planes are T6 or T7, so wounding on 3s
>d6 damage per hit

Do any planes have invulns or 2+ saves? I haven't seen one yet
>>
Can I invade to ask about a Chaos list?

I'm trying to come up with something at 1500 points without vehicles (I don't have any :() and want something relatively versatile

10xHavocs 130 Lascannon 25 Autocannon 20 Heavy Bolter 10 Missile Launcher 25
Combi-Flamer 11
10xHavocs Lascannon Autocannon Heavy Bolter Missile Launcher 130
10xHavocs Lascannon Autocannon Heavy Bolter Missile Launcher 130
Combi-Flamer 11
1xChaos Lord 74 Power Fist 20 + Combi-Plasma 15
1xSorceror Terminator Armor 140 Force Stave 14 + Combi-Bolter 2
10xTerminators 310 2xHeavy Flamer 34 Chainfist 22 8xPower Axes 40 +1xPower sword4 + 7xCombi-Bolters 14 Combi-

Melta 19
5xWarp Talonsx15+5xLightning Claws 5x13
>>
>>54018601
You may want to ask on the main 40kg thread >>54015664 as you are more likely to find individuals there who are versed in Chaos list-building.
>>
>>54018601
You should probably make your havocs a bit more uniform. Just because universal splitfire is a thing, doesnt mean that you should purposefully split up guns with such different ranges. Put the heavy bolted, lascannons, and autocannons in groups of 3, then stick a missile launcher with each if you want versatility.

The weapons on the termies seem strange, with a random sword and combi-melta in there for little reason.

Seems fine, though youll lack much mobility
>>
Can suits still JSJ?
Havent read the index yet. Don't own it.
>>
>>54018555

Invulns on some yep

>>54018829

no
>>
>>54018870
Darn.
Was that considered op? (jsj)
It felt like a fun tactical thing when I used to play.
>>
>>54018957
It was mostly annoying to play against, and felt super cheesy. JSJ is basically gone in 8e. Crisis suits have high movement speed and Fly keyword now, to compensate.
>>
>>54018957
It was the most basic level of tactical thinking for a pretty strong benefit. You jump over a wall, shoot at guys, then jump back.

Since the turn based nature of the game was an abstraction, it was always a bit dumb that you could fly over the enemy and shoot them over the course of several turns without them being able to fire back.

Overall, it's better that it isnt a thing anymore
>>
>>54018555

>Do any planes have invulns?

Dark Eldar bullshit does
>>
>>54018996
>>54018984
Oh well!
It seems like pretty much everyone but Orks got "neutered" and I didnt want to play a cheese army anyways!
Tips on how to equip xv8s now? And how to play them?
>>
>>54018957
JSJ made Tau slippery, which meant they had to immediately die when somebody made it into combat with them

Now Tau are less slippery but they can take a hit

Enemies can get into melee with us and then we just fly away and keep shooting
>>
>>54019040
Everyone got rebalanced, including us. It's good that we lost our cheese; it's better for everyone if we're on a level playing field with other factions, and cheese isn't fun. While Crisis took a slight hit and Riptides took a moderate (and very needed) one, we also had a number of units which were previously pretty useless buffed up to a good spot. Things like Vespids and Sunsharks rarely saw play before, but not have distinct niches where they excel.

Right now there is the slight awkwardness that Battlesuit Commanders are actually better than standard Crisis Suits in basically every way. They don't have the three-suit minimum unit size, they have Character protections (can hide behind other units), they have a fourth hardpoint, and they have BS2+. The result is that they are a far more effective firepower platform than equivalently equipped Crisis, with the exception of full Flamer suits which don't care about their crap BS. Hoping this gets fixed with the first tweaks.
>>
>>54019120
Only thing bugging me was that now that markerlights have been reworked they could have gone and adjusted the BS progression on our units. There sure is some room for BS3+ shooting outside of HH chassis.
>>
>>54019120
>>54019079
Nice
>>
>>54014142
>Bait and Trap Strategy.
Anon, please use your Fire Caste terms...
>>
>>54017041
why plasma instead of CIBs?
>>
>>54020936

For murdering MEQ/TEQ.

I think the strength of CIB is redundant without the AP to back it up, plasma is much more cost efficient.
>>
>>54020936
Plasma rifle is the most aestethic suit weapon.
>>
How's the performance of the sunshark bomber? I thought of proxying one to playtest but fuck, I hate the model..
>>
>>54011821
Weirdboy

Da Jump

30 Boyz iz suddenly roite proppa close an ready for choppin'

Uverwize stick dem boyz in sumfin red an fast an ram it into 'em before chargin.

Now dat'z finkin wiv kunnin.
>>
>>54022010
Bombers seem like they're pretty useful in 8th. The sunshade especially seems like a decent way to get rid of elites hiding in cover or hordes in general
>>
>>54022412
Yeah I was thinking that. It seems like a reliable source of mortal wounds, perfect for units with high invulnerable saves especially. Just don't know what to do for the model.
>>
>>54022497
>decent
Well, forgeworld flyers are probably your only real alternative, unless you want to try and really extensively kitbash a Devilfish or Pirannah into one.

I think taking the orb bit off of a Tau gravity drone could work well as a stand in for a pulse bomb generator
>>
>>54022579
It's more a case of i don't like tau vehicle aesthetics in general. At all.

Though I do like the barracuda and tigershark. Those things don't even look too difficult to scratchbuild. They're most flat discs with a lotta gribblies.
>>
>>54022655
How the hell does anyone like the look of barracuda? Most fuckin uninspired boring ass flying dorito chip ever made.
>>
File: cib vs pr.png (611KB, 1264x494px) Image search: [Google]
cib vs pr.png
611KB, 1264x494px
>>54021223
The only situation a PR will be better than a CIB is against plain SM (T4 W1 3+, no invul; .4 more dead marines) and plague marines (by very little; .2 more dead marines).

I'd rather grab CIBs that are worth against a wide array of enemies than PRs that are just a tiny bit better against 2 enemy specs
And that's supposing the PRs will be at half range everytime. CIBs get an 8" advantage - meaning your commanders will suffer less charges
>>
>>54022710
way better looking than SM flying boxes or AM straight lines everywhere

Only Aeldari stuff looks as cool as a Barracuda
>>
>>54022765
Well, theres your answer then. Get a Barracuda, modify the main gun to be a missile pod, and have the cyclic ions count as the guns of the Interceptor drones. Then just find a good way to mock up something that looks like it generates energy bombs.

Might be exepsnive though, so consider testing a few games with an actual proxy, like a paper airplane on a stick
>>
>>54022749

Good points, but I still like the cost efficiency of PRs.
To Swap all of the PRs to CIBs would cost an addintional 28ppm, 168 for all 6. I'd need to cut an entire commander to fit them in.

(I also own a lot of PR, compared to a single CIB)
>>
>>54018270
Riptide is not "bad" with bad stats it's simply way to expensive for the low amount of firepower it puts out. Any opponent with half a brain will ignore it and shoot your important stuff. Drones are better on suits because they directly act as ablative wounds where As Riptides can be bypassed. Drones also contribute insane dps for their price cost.

Riptide is weak as hell and you would rather go Longstrider with some hammerhead if you want a big gun to nuke specific targets since it's way more reliable and stronger.

For what they do Riptides are just too expensive and any decent Tau player will shelve them. Y'vahrahs on the other hand are what Riptides wish they could be this edition.
>>
>>54022710
Eh, looks like it could be an actual spacecraft or low-orbit shuttle. Reminds me of the B-2 Spirit or the SR-71 Blackbird to an extent.
>>
>>54023002
I would just build one from scratch if that's the case.
>>
>>54023256

Heavy Burst Hammerheads also let you replace Burst Tides

>>54022710

At least it looks somewhat aerodynamic
>>
>>54023480
If only the FW hammerheads were buffed by Longstrike.
>>
>>54023502
'If only FW X were Y' sums up a lot of their stuff now. Every other unit feels like its overpriced to hell or has extremely poorly written rules.
>>
I'm half thinking of a 9 man fire warrior squad and a fireblade in a droneport with marker drones. Would that be useful?
>>
what do you think guys?
https://gavthorpe.co.uk/2017/06/26/the-origins-of-the-tau/
>>
I wonder if we may get any Enclave toys back like Fusion Blades
>>
>>54026316
I'm really not sure. There were never official pieces for it, were there? I could see it going either way, where FSE could have something akin to its 7e release in our new codex, with lots of special options and old goodies, or it could be relegated to being on equal footing with other Tau septs, just given a couple of unique rules/strategems (if that is a thing that is happening).
>>
>>54026395
I would like to get The Eight back
>>
>>54026436
I'd like to see them as well, though I'm afraid they wouldn't be great due to how costly suits are right now.
>>
>>54026492
They were all commanders. I don't think they'd be that expensive
>>
>>54026599
7 commanders plus a Riptide, but regardless, that's a ballpark of 8*(72+~50)=~960pts, not including the Riptide or extra toys of theirs. That's actually not that bad, given that there are people taking 8 commanders anyway.
>>
>>54012838
These fire warriors almost exactly match my scheme. Time to make some propaganda posters for scenery
>>
>>54025716
>marrying some of the background to the idea of a more modern army, mecha-themed force (as opposed to the far more organic anime influence in the Eldar designs).
>as opposed to-- anime influence in the Eldar designs
>b-b-but the tau is the weeb animu race!
>>
I've lost to T'au twice in a row as Orks, and I'm coming asking for specific help.

Basically, turn one, my opponent drops his Stealth dudes within 9" of me. Then they drop a homing beacon within like 4" of me. Then they drop Crisis suits with flamers.

He killed 21 boyz from a 30 boy squad on his first turn.

What can I do to stop this from happening?
>>
File: IMG_0938.jpg (57KB, 641x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0938.jpg
57KB, 641x750px
>>54004388

i love how the Tau are basically space smurf communists tha pilot mecha you would find in a Japanese anime.
>>
>>54028186

Do you not have anysort of deepstrike counters as Ork? Like an early warning override equivalent?

Consider some more vehicles to protect and act as buffers?
>>
File: IMG_0940.jpg (278KB, 1024x1408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0940.jpg
278KB, 1024x1408px
>>54004423

Heresy!!!
>>
>>54028186
Well, firstly, Stealth suits can't deep-strike at 9" like most with that sort of rule. They have a more infiltrate based thing where they have to be deployed more than 12" away, but also can't be in the opponent's deployment zone.

Of course, since they can just move 8" and put the beacon within 1" of them, that won't stop an early crisis drop from getting very close. You could potentially nullify it by deploying far back enough that he can't set them up close enough to to being in your deployment zone, but that's less viable if you need to actually advance afterwards.

Looking at this further, it's actually incredibly strange that Stealth Suits work that way when every other unit that does that sort of infiltration functions like normal deep-striking, and if Stealth suits functioned that way it would put a big wrench in that combo.

That aside, the two main options I think you would have would either be to go first, therefore making it so the stealth suits can't immediately move and put down the beacon, meaning the crisis suits are also less threatening later since they'll be out of range with their deepstrike (assuming you murder the exposed stealth suits), or setting up a line of units in front of your boys, either grots or vehicles, and distancing them out so that the Stealth suits have to deploy far enough away that the crisis suits will only be able to torch grots or trukks or something they won't really be able to deal with.

>>54028250
Unless FW has something weird, I don't think anyone aside from Tau really does.
>>
Here's the best tactic for Tau:

Get into close range, mechas will be very effective and infantry are essentially samurai

-With burning hate... Nonono... Love, Ordo Xenos
>>
>>54028186
You could try to take the first turn by tuning your list to take out those stealths. You can zone out deep strikers with grots or something. Painboy or KFF can cut losses too. Also that's minimum of 110p stealth suits + ~200p of crisis suits to take out what? A tad bit over 100p of boyz while putting that 200p unit up to the chopping block.
>>
>>54028250

>>54028298
>Unless FW has something weird, I don't think anyone aside from Tau really does.

Wait, scratch that, Deathmarks from Necrons can, but a handful of S 4 sniper shots doesn't really compare to volleys of plasma or anything
>>
>>54015397
>>54015437
>>54015458
>someone wants to keep a theme with their army and not spam the best possible thing
>Shit talking him for it

So is it bait or are you the was Tau player sterotype, because if it's was why haven't you sold all your riptides for conscripts yet
>>
>>54005998
Have you seen the general?
>>
>>54028399
Ever had a friend who complains about the most stupid and/or menial shit that could be fixed easily but he basically choses not to? Kinda same situation here.
>>
I like fliers, but I can't recall the last time I watched a batrep where someone fielded a single tau one.....and I'm not count piranhas

Are the just that trash-garbage?
>>
>>54028580
They were last edition, outside of forgeworld. They seem better now, but I doubt many people have them or want to spring for them so suddenly.
>>
>>54028580
They were outclassed by better choices in last edition, C or B- units at best. Now they might have their niche. Especially sunshark now that it can shit out mortal wounds.
>>
>>54028580

They were bad in 7th
And the bigger sin, ugly. FW has some better looking ones
>>
>>54028657
I'm really tempted to convert myself some sort of auxillaries fighter-craft to use in its place. The only thing I really like about the sunshark is the interceptor drones, and that isn't worth dealing with everything else.
>>
Burst hazards
100 points T5 W5
Assault 16 Str 5 AP-1
Deepstrike

Pretty decent I'd say
>>
>>54029785
make it 137 and add another 16 S5 AP0 shots
>>
>>54023256
The Riptide does enough damage that your enemy can't just ignore it.

There are better choices for popping tanks but the Heavy Burst Cannon is really good at clearing away tons of infantry.
>>
>>54028580
Sunshark + Coldstar is my favourite combo

I saw people complaining about it in 40kg yesterday so I think it is getting more popular
>>
>>54031286
the xv109 is a much better delivery system of rape for infantry, 3 xv9s with the burst cannon loadout is even better value with RAW free ATS afaik, the riptide is outclassed in every role it attempts to perform in 8th edition as it stands
Also
RIP Remora Drones, the new sunshark and razorshark of 8th edition
>>
>>54031365
>the riptide is outclassed in every role it attempts to perform in 8th edition as it stands
Nah

Riptide is a great defensive front line fighter. It doesn't do as much damage as other options at its point value but with a T7/14W, 2+, 3++, stims + warlord trait absorb a ton of small fire, and drones to soak heavy weapons... it lives for fucking ever. Now you can also bring a few tech drones to repair it!

Its high mobility and high defenses let you harass the enemy army all game long, doing enough damage that he can't just ignore you.

It's not "bring 3 to every game" good but it's still good.
>>
>>54031365
Are Remoras really that bad?

They're 9p cheaper (if you don't have to pay for the Target Lock; it's a bit fuzzy) from their 7th interaction.
Ok, lost markerlight, but now have Target Lock to keep their BS4+. A Coldstar with DC nearby will give them BS3+ and 1 ML from someone else will let them re-roll 1s.
Seekers are worse now, but that's for every seeker platform
They've retained their deep strike and, while lost 5+ cover save and jink (something that happened to everything that had jink and shrouded), got Hard to Hit and 3 more wounds and even an armour save
Their guns being Heavy 8 total instead of Heavy 12 are a bummer, indeed

I can see them as cool Coldstar 'bodyguards', keeping enemies from firing at him
>>
>>54031428
in my store, the manager and other people agreed that remoras are not buffable by drone controller due to not technically being "drones" as a marker or shield drone would be, also for 81 points you're getting something that a base stealth team or piranha do better and simply isn't even worth it in most cases. I've written them off so far
>>54031401
I'd rather use a Y'vahra, sure it's a distraction carnifex but aside from that it's outclassed in offence by every unit its weapons compete with. Also that setup for it to be survivable basically forces your army to be focussed around that riptide being survivable, at which point its an over expensive distraction and ignorable, for the points a barracuda AX-5-2 is a better option almost every time, especially since for a cheaper price you can get the railgun and the ion blasters on it
>>
>>54031504
What? your group is nuts.
Remoras have both <SEPT> and DRONE keywords. Call their bullshit on!
>>
>>54031504
I have to agree with you on the Y'vahra/Barracuda vs Riptide because Tau Suit Spam is all about the Alpha Strike (total Mont'ka): deal so much damage in one turn that the enemy won't be able to recover.

Riptide is more interesting in an attrition game, which is better suited with massed infantry. I guess it can be a good addition to Horde Tau, but not for Farsight-style armies anymore
>>
>>54031547
I think that for now it's been because in 7th they didn't count as drones, also the manager never allows gw models to buff FW models unless there is a written response from FW, so I guess I better go get one
>>
File: tourney.png (124KB, 676x2438px) Image search: [Google]
tourney.png
124KB, 676x2438px
>>54031569
well this is the list I've been running so far, I've divided my list in two, with one half being a setup for Mont'ka and the other half for Kauyon.
Also I am loving the XV84, a very underrated model in 8th so far for supporting markerlights
I'm 3/1/0
>>
>>54031572
Isn't there any other FLGS in your city? That one seems to lack the 'F' part...

>GW units doesn't buff FW ones
Imagine the despair of SM players with Lias Issondon not being able to interact with good SM GW index infantry...
Or Eldar not able to cast psychic powers on their FW units...
Or Ork units not using nearby GW units to increase their Ld...
>>
>>54031644
well I'm not sure about those particular examples and I think that Psyker abiities counted, but specifically the drone controller for tau did not buff FW drones of any kind, even though the model with the drone controller (an xv84) was from FW
>>54031644
My city has lgs, but almost none of them run 40k since gw killed off all stores selling 40k here, they pretty much only have magic and other tcg, with occasional other wargames and 40k nights once a month max. the other gw close to me banned FW outright and i cf travelling more than 1 hour just for a game of 40k
>>
>>54031724
Show the manager the wargear list in FW index. There is a drone controller there. Tell him that's a FW Drone Controller and, thus, should work on FW models
>>
>>54031743
I will do that, but I was mainly just assuming from 8th edition that it was like that, thanks for the advice and interpretation
>>
>>54031765
>assuming from 7th*
>>
>>54004388
Drones have shitload of dakka. Is that a "tactic"?
>>
>>54031572
Remoras didn't get buffed by drone controller in 7th edition because drone controller only worked on gun- marker,- and sniper drones (also shield drones, IIRC, but they don't have any guns so it's a moot point). They didn't even work on missile- or interceptor drones despite thoe being in the codex. Now, however it works on all units with the "Drone" keyword, which Remora has, so there's no reason for it not to work with them.
>>
>>54031186

Nothing like a 3 fistfuls of dakka
>>
>>54032452

Pretty point effecient
Very effecient
>>
Playing in a 60 power tournament next week, how does this look?

Yeah I know, >power level, but its my first tournament

Commander (4x FB)
Coldstar (ATS, target lock)

3x Stealth Suits
>homing beacon
>1 FB + velocity tracker
>2 burst cannons + ATS

3x Crisis Suits
>2x CIB + flamer
>2x CIB + flamer
>2x CIB + flamer

5x Strike Team
>Markerlight

5x Strike Team
>Markerlight

5x Strike Team
>Markerlight

5x Pathfinders
>5x Markerlights

Broaside
HYMP + SMS

Sunshark Bomber

The idea is to deploy a gun base of Strike Teams, Pathfinders, Broadside, Coldstar, and Sunshark - keep my Crisis and Commander off the table. Stealth Team deploys mid field, preferably near some big tank.

While the enemy closes in on my gun base I fly past them with Sunshark + Coldstar to one side of the board, then drop Crisis + Commander on the other side of his army, creating a 3 pronged pincer attack.
>>
>>54036063
You will need to add drones to your Crisis team or they will die horribly.

Honestly, just add more drones and put a drone controller on the Fusion Stealth.
And a shield gen instead of target lock on the coldstar.
>>
>>54037180
>And a shield gen instead of target lock on the coldstar.
He will have Interceptor Drones and a Sunshark Bomber near him, so he is unlikely to ever need a 4++

Commanders + Crisis will be deploying through manta strike and usually that turn cripples the opponent to the point where I don't care if my Crisis take wounds
>>
>>54038009
3 Crisis isn't going to cripple a thing, not with 6 CIBs and 3 flamers.

And any other support system is probably better than the Target Lock on the Coldstar,, except maybe multitracker (.78 vs .83 hit ratio in favour of Target Lock when you advance).

Drones have been MVUs in all my games so far, both for cleaning out hoardes and for soaking wounds.
>>
>>54022710
The old ones look far better
>>
>>54025049
You can't use the abilities of your embarked characters, and embarked unit can't benefit either.
You still get the 2+ on the drones though
>>
>>54038164
>Drones have been MVUs in all my games so far, both for cleaning out hoardes and for soaking wounds.

Sounds about right
They are pretty solid for volume of fire
>>
Everybody posts about drones being baller and fielding a million of 'em but how the fuck do you guys get so many without going broke? Even the start collecting box has only 8.
>>
>>54039149
I mean, they just sort of come with every box. I've never seen a Tau player that didn't have a decent stockpile of drones.

The only time it'd be tricky is if you were going for something that was only drones and then a handful of other units, like if you wanted 5 commanders and then just a drone swarm.
>>
>>54039241
I dunno. I mean I converted most of my army and the units I bought were either limited in drones or had none.

>Bought single FW box, 4 stealthsuit boxes, Pathfinders and Ghostkeel
>Friend gave me old full box of FW sans drones, commander crisis bought off ebay back in 5th and the rest I converted from cloned and spare parts.

As a result I kindof only have 11 drones total for about a 1.6K army, the ghostkeel's stealth drones notwithstanding.
>>
File: 20170627_183457.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_183457.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>54039149
I've been 3d printing them. Created the computer model myself. Kinda proud of them. Pic Related, it's the 3d printed model next to it's original recipe cousin.
>>
>>54040242
I'll be damned, that looks pretty good! Got any pics painted or without colour? Hard to see details with black.

How much did it cost you per drone?
>>
File: 20170627_190653.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_190653.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>54040310
Here you go. 1 unprimed but constructed drone. 1 shown as it comes out of the printer. And as long as I'm showing off, here's a fusion blaster.

I print the drones off in batches of 6. That takes about 6 hours to print. Honestly the plastic to print these costs so little it's probably literally pennies per drone. I long ago made my money back on the 3d printer in savings on easily replicated GW models.
>>
>>54039149

Buying other stuff
They build up quick
>>
>>54042622
This, you buy almost anything and it comes with supplemental drones with it.
>>
Anyone take some FW stuff for a test?
>>
>>54040735
Extremely nice work there, which printer are you using? Might have to pick one up myself at this point ;-).
>>
File: GREATER GOOD.png (62KB, 676x1227px) Image search: [Google]
GREATER GOOD.png
62KB, 676x1227px
This is a 1k point list a friend helped me build (by which I mean pretty much solo'd it), based on what's in the t'au start collecting and an optimised pathfinder team box (because cheaper that way) along with a sun shark bomber and stealth suits. Can people give any insight on how it might perform in a non-waac environment?
Note, this is babby's first 40k army, I have never played before in my life.
>>
>>54004423
>Heresy

but with an ass that fine i|m not even mad
>>
>>54011865
Or is they were underslung instead of being missile themed knuckle-dusters
>>
File: H01-full burst.jpg (93KB, 593x640px) Image search: [Google]
H01-full burst.jpg
93KB, 593x640px
>>54048757
>Missiles are fingertips or the hand itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMam6Fj_uaU

Or just do like Heavyarms. It's how I'd model the weapons on my Broadside if I ever got one. Magnetized all over his body and when I used the HRR it would be held like a giant sniper rifle.
>>
>>54048757
I just wish I could take a Commander broadside with actual knuckle-dusters
>>
Looking for general advice on a list

HQ
>Longstrike 191
>Railguns, Gun Drones

Heavy Support
>Hammerhead 212
>Ion Cannon, SMS

Fast Attack
>Pathfinder team 64
>3 Ion Rifles, Recon Drone

>Drone team (8 gun) 64
>Drone team (4 marker) 40

Dedicated transport
>Devilfish 127
>Devilfish 127

Total 835

Plan is to stick the Drones in one fish, the pathfinders in the other, and rush them forward while the hammerheads hang back and shoot. I wanted to go for a very vehicle-heavy list.

I would add another hammerhead, though i feel like I'd be sacrificing too many bodies until i play at higher points.
>>
>>54048353
So what role is the ethereal going to serve aside from being a target?
>>
>>54051273
Mandatory hq. He comes in the start collecting box so he gets the job. Trying to use just about every model to get the most for my money in a reasonably fluffy list, I.e combined arms with mainly iconic tau units. Hence a crisis suit unit and not two commanders for instance.
>>
>>54040735
same question as >>54047988
>>
>>54050964
Tau arent really a faction you can just go vehicle spam with

devilfish are too weak on their own, and youre gonna need more bodies

more bodies = more shots = fun tau
>>
So me and a couple friends are all new, other then one of us we've never played before, and with 8th being as new as we are we figure it's the best time to start.
I had already collected a few Tau before hand because I like them and I like modelling (and am absolute dog shit at painting), and for my birthday my buds got me a broadside.
I already have a missleside and a rifleside and I understand that broadsides are a bit expensive this edition, but any recommendations on what to give this new one?
>>
>>54052601
magnets
>>
>>54052288
Well, that's part of why I went for the pathfinders and drones, so I would have a source of bodies that could put out some cheaper firepower.

I'm open to suggestions on ways to flesh it out though. Ideally I do want it all to be rather mobile though.
>>
File: IMG_0923.jpg (44KB, 544x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0923.jpg
44KB, 544x270px
Is Pirahna spam still worth?

If I want breachers for the rule of cool, am I going to be fucking myself meta-wise?

Do stealth teams still do work?

How can I get best markerlight efficiency out of two pathfinder squads?

Very new to Tau, only just had time to learn the 7th ed rules for my mates rates 5th ed army.
>>
>>54052719
marker drones have gotten more expensive between editions. personally, ive found success in minimal use of markerlights. i try to get just one on the target, and thats good enough for me.

maybe replace marker drones with some fire warriors, or kroot, who have been very useful to me

ultimately its up to you and what you usually play against. find what works for your local meta
>>
>>54052820
>Is Pirahna spam still worth?
Not sure

>If I want breachers for the rule of cool, am I going to be fucking myself meta-wise?
No theyre good but situational

>Do stealth teams still do work?
Yeah. Theyre amazing

>How can I get best markerlight efficiency out of two pathfinder squads?
Declare Kauyon with a commander nearby
>>
>>54052936
Hmm, and here I thought I was going pretty bare-bones by only having the 2 from the pathfinder team and the 4 from the drones.

I see your point though, especially since a lot of my army doesnt need the accuracy boosts as much. I'll try and stick in some more guns in their place. Maybe bring it down to just 2 marker drones in one of the drone blobs so I've got a few scattered about.
>>
>>54052980
Thanks anon
>>
>>54052820

Stealth suits are pretty good
Breachers tend to be better if they aren't walking everywhere
>>
In general 1 power should get you 15 to 20 points worth of dudes, depending on how many upgrades you take.

I want to play Tau with Power Level but there is a lot of fucked up stuff.

>pathfinders overpriced unless you take squads of 5 with 3 special weapons
>longstrike and hammerhead cost more than a broadside, but it's the opposite in points
>broadside underpriced
>commanders massively underpriced
>crisis massively underpriced
>hammerheads overpriced unless you take ion cannon + sms
>fire warriors overpriced unless you take 10 guys with a support turret
>stealth suits overpriced unless you take every possible upgrade + homing beacon
>>
>>54053351
its not so much that the army needs accuracy boosts, as it is the fact that it takes sinking a lot of points into markerlights to get 5+ to get a single extra BS

i try for one and call it good enough, more points to spend on shootin mans
>>
>>54053669
>power points are what 7th used to be

suits spam, here I come
>>
>>54053913
Pretty much

Commanders are 6 power, which translates to 90-120 points. You can get up to 160 with 4x FB

Crisis are 11, which is 165-220. It's easy to go over 300 with loadouts like full missile pods.
>>
>>54053903
Well, I do want at least some for the other effects. Rerolling 1s is pretty nice for the BS 2+ tanks, and I'd need them if I ever slap on extra seeker missiles. Plus the ability to move and shoot heavy weapons without penalty is helpful.

I think there are quite a few nice benefits for even getting a handful of hits
>>
>>54054207
of course, and the risk/reward is up to you

i just play differently
>>
Psyker aux when

>>54053962

Oh boy
>>
>>54052248
>>54047988

OK, so I'm using an Anet A8.

I want to stress that my results aren't typical. This printer has kicked ass for me, but most other people I've seen with them have either had subpar results or they have trouble getting it to work at all. I don't know what I'm doing differently that's getting much better results than the norm, but I don't want you to buy an Anet A8 expecting super quality.
>>
>>54038811
Sucks that the drones have to detach to get the 2+. You can't hide them either because you need LOS to markerlight stuff.
>>
Supposedly Tiger Shark gets the Titan Killer rule. Can fire Macro weapons on the move but if it does it cannot fire non-Macro guns
>>
>>54012070

People seem to like the Y'Vahra
>>
>>54048936
I've always thought it was pretty ridiculous how tiny the missiles in the shoulders must be. The Serpent Custom's shoulders seem more believable.
>>
FW Hammerheads were overcosted and will get a price cut in errata
>>
Has anyone tried the R'Varna yet? Thinking about picking it up. Just worried that it's geared toward Heavy Infantry or light Vehicles which I feel we have plenty of.
>>
>>54064488
I hope so, but did FW said anything on the matter? They've said about AX-1-0
>>
>>54066993
Ah, just found it in facebook. nice!
>>
File: FW HH.png (143KB, 474x608px) Image search: [Google]
FW HH.png
143KB, 474x608px
>>54067024
new HH prices, as per pic related:

hh rg 171
hh ic 188
hh tfc 187
hh thbc 203
hh tpc 193
hh 2hymp 215
>>
>>54067396
a Fire Support Hammerhead is 243p when equipped with 2xSMS. The same build for a Riptide will be 304p

So, for a 20% discount, the HH fires 33% more S6 AP-1 shots at BS3+, but has only the 3+ armour to defend itself and no possibility of drones to take damage for it, as not able to pick ATS. On the other hand, if it moves will fire at BS4+ - same as ol' Riptide.

What do you guys think? Is it a worth substitute for Riptide, firepower-wise?
>>
>>54067466
>243p
My mistake, it's 227p. So, more or less 25% cheaper
>>
>>54067466
similarly, a heavy bombardment hammerhead with 2x HYMP and 2x SMS costs 239, while a same-build broadside costs 202p. Double wounds for 1 less armour, no drones or ATS - but better BS. What do you guys think?
>>
>>54067466
>>54067594
The Burst Cannon version seems nice I'd you want a lot of horde-clearing firepower. The one with middle pods seems solid compared to a broadside, though support systems might help make up the difference there.

It is good to see that they aren't vastly more expensive for no reaaon there though
>>
Anyone else trying Power Level this weekend?
>>
Cyclic ion raker or fusion blaster?
>>
>>54070063
What's the target.
>>
>>54070063
A single high-wound target: FB
Anything else: CIB
>>
>>54070212
Vehicles.
>>
>>54070063

Depends a lot on what you're shooting
>>
>>54069014

Bursthammers look great
Can kick up a bunch of medium strength shots. Great for tearing medium infantry and light vehicles
>>
Is there a way to have an almost purely kroot based army, like save bonuses.
>>
>>54071413
Sorry about the after comma sentence I was meaning about how they all have 6+ saves and if their is a way to improve this?
>>
>>54071413
kroot dont even have a hq
>>
>>54071491
Nevermind then
>>
>>54071413
>>54071442
You could potentially use an Ethereal as an HQ, and make use of the Earth ability to give your kroot a 6+ fnp on top of their armor. If they stick in cover, they'd be frail, but it'd be better than nothing.

That's basically the problem with a Kroot army. They could deal with most infantry fine, but they lack the durability or firepower to go against anything more elite or heavy.
>>
How the fuck do I beat Dark Eldar?

-1 to hit and 5++ on all vehicles
Dark Lances fucking everyhere
>>
>>54071700
FB Commanders destroy their vehicles pretty easily

Their heavy weapons are absorbed by drones. Make sure you keep your battlesuits on the edge of LOS and your drones out of LOS.

Deldar have garbage defenses, all they do is go fast and hit hard. If you use manta strike you'll win easily.
>>
>>54072208

Tried that today, my FB quadmanders rolled fairly poorly, combined with 5++ saves they crippling but failed to kill his 2 Razorwing jets that promptly flew to the other side of the board and shot me to death.

Other than that, his -1 to hit Venoms sitting in ruins were basically immune to the rest of my shooting.

I'm almost tempted to say that flamer suits with ATS would be more effective than FB but I'm honestly at a loss as to how to deal with an army that is faster and better at shooting than anything I can field in a game about siezing objectives.
>>
>>54072458

crippled*
>>
>>54072458
Sounds like you rolled very poorly.

Declare Kauyon with a missile pod commander near some pathfinders and you can get to 5 markerlights on their vehicles pretty easily, then your FB commanders should be able to destroy them even with -1 hit. 2+ rerolling 1s and 3+ to wound. Longstrike is really good for popping those vehicles, too.

Are you using stealth teams to put down homing beacons and get in melta range?
>>
>>54072514

No beacons, lots of stealth suits though so I could have done it in theory.

The Hammer and Anvil deployment that we rolled left me unable to get range of pathfinder markerlights in the first turn.

I actually siezed the initiative and tried to alpha strike the planes off, I might have been better off letting him move the jets up and beaconing in the FB commanders with markerlights.

I was also using drones in 2 units of 10, I'm probably going to break them down into MSU in the future to force split fire and reduce morale losses.
>>
>>54072619
>I actually siezed the initiative and tried to alpha strike the planes off, I might have been better off letting him move the jets up and beaconing in the FB commanders with markerlights.
Your commanders alone won't be enough, you need the full weight of your shooting. If you're not in markerlight range then you shouldnt try the killing blow, just bait and let him come to you. Deploy your commanders the following turn after he moved forward a bit.
>>
Wargames general is a discord server primarily focused on GW games like 40k and sshadow war, where even the Tau are welcome!

https://discord.gg/RGNHrS2
>>
>>54074781

shill pls
>>
>>54072458
>Venoms sitting in ruins
non-infantry units only get the benefit of cover if they're at least 50% covered by it. Were they?
>>
Anyone been emailing FW?
>>
>>54078560
yeah, and we already got 2 answers:
- tiger shark ax-1-0 can either fire its HRCs or its other weapons
- hammerhead variants already have the cost of their stock weapons accounted to their price in the point table - which means the 'chassis' should cost as much as the GW version (117)
>>
Enclave rules when
>>
>>54078626
I wonder if they'll also say whether or not Longstrike can buff them. If so, that HBChead is looking really scary.
>>
Fusion Blades
Melee
Str 8 AP-4 Dd6
Dunno about a special rule

>>54081374
Ya, a better riptide
>>
>>54081886
Give them the melta special rule that allows you to roll twice for damage
>>
>>54081981

I was trying to think of something unique
>>
>>54082214
2d3, and if you roll a pair of 1s, the blades short out and can't be used next turn.
>>
>>54082697

Dd3, plus d3 against <Vehicle> or <Monster>
Now what else might be a fun one? Onager?
>>
>>54082793
Onager could probably be statted up as a Thunder hammer, but with a restriction that you could only make 1 attack with it.
>>
>>54082840
It'd have to hit like a beast
Hm... Onager is for anti vehicle
Str 12 AP-3 Dd6
One attack, D2d6 against vehicles
>>
>>54083051
I'd still say the 3 damage to put it on the level of a thunder hammer would fit. S 12 also doesn't matter too much. x2 strength on the suits that are already swinging at 5 gives you 10, which is enough to wound any vehicle on a 3.

The lines between what's good against vehicles and what isn't are also less strict now. Pretty much the only things that care are haywire and poison.

At most, I would say to skip on the 'only one attack' thing and just make it a thunderhammer. a few solid hits with that and you could take out a dreadnought or a russ, and that's all you need.

The single swing was assuming you wanted to not only keep it as one big smash like before, but also keep it relatively cheap like before.
>>
>>54083125
Big smash is cooler though
Fusion blades for dicing infantry
Niches are nice
>>
>>54081374
No word on the longstrike. With FW, you have to do one step at a time
>>
Fellow follower of the greater good, I have a question for you!

I'm a bit confused about how drones saves the wound that our suits will get, let's see if I got this straight.

The enemy shoots at my Riptide, he uses my toughness to see if he manages to wound me, then I decide to put the wound of the weapon (1d3) on my drone, I use my drone Save to save the wound and then, if i fail, I kill 1 drone despite the number that he rolls for wounds.

Is that right? Thanks!
>>
>>54085923
That is correct.
>>
>>54085923
It's exactly like that. Any 'unallocated' wound with 2+ damage should be allocated to the drones
>>
>>54086039
>>54086044
Too bad... it has really little sense that I use the toughness of the riptide but the drone are the one being hit -_-
>>
>>54086331
this game has a lot of stuff like that

do you remember that sponsons can now fire at targets on the other side of the vehicle? that ghost arks can fire both weapons from its stern?
>>
>>54074781
Go away no one likes you
>>
>>54086331

Who cares
>>
Just got into 40k a few months before 8the edition hit, what should I turn my ~20 unbuilt drones into?
>>
>>54004388

Hi fa/tg/uys, I am currently contemplating the idea of getting back to the hobby, that I left circa 2004, when Necrons where the shit, and the black crusade was still in full effect.

Anyhow, I still have an army of Guardsmen, probably not fitting any proper build, but I'd like to hear your advises concerning an army befitting a beginner.

Are the guardsmen still viable in the current meta? What would be the problem I'd face if I were to field them?
What alternative would you suggest?

I'm more keen on loyalists, but any input is welcomed.
>>
>>54086701
mostly gun drones
>>
With a homing beacon, can I deep strike a commander and an attached unit of gundrones, and then place the gundrones within 1 inch of an enemy unit?

Are there any tactical applications of being able to engage enemies in this manner without having to worry about overwatch?
>>
>>54086850
You have to convert your gaurdsmen to Gue'vesa now, its the rules.
You don't wanna know what happens if you don't convert...
>>
>>54086564
I do
>>
>>54086900
Fusion and flamer ranges
>>
>>54087247

You can't place into combat though btw
>>
>>54086903

> This much heresy

Don't listen to him anon, the Astra Militarum is still a solid choice. If all you ever had to face was Orks ofc.
>>
>>54087262
Why not? the deep strike rule in question doesn't say anything about minimum distances from enemies with a homing beacon.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170630-201701.jpg (566KB, 1434x1791px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170630-201701.jpg
566KB, 1434x1791px
Im ordering tonight.
XV 107 or XV 109 ????
>>
>>54089438
>>
>>54089438

>>
What are the best system to take on a tau commander ?
Is the coldstar worth it ?

Im starting 40k again after getting out around 5ed.
I want to get back in cheap
>>
>>54091347
Commanders are really good with expensive weapons like missile pods, CIB, and fusion blasters
>>
>>54086850
So word on the street is that guard is the new hotness. Rumor has it that their heavy weapon teams are the best bang for your buck in any army, infantry with orders and commissars are resilient and dangerous for their points, and tanks are if less powerful on the attack at least significantly more resilient under fire.

Praise to the emperor for he has given us the tools to eradicate the Xenos threatening our dominion. Through faith in the immortal throne on Terra all things are possible.
>>
>>54087110
Then change the rule.
>>
>>54089298
bump
>>
>>54091347
Commanders like weapons
Coldstar is good, ats/tl/shield are options for him
>>
>>54053669
>crisis massively underpriced
explain yourself
>>
>>54093735
using powerl level, not points
>>
>>54093935
>power levels
>>
Are you making this out to be a general or something?
I think you shouldn't make another for a bit of a while, let some stuff to discuss crop up first
>>
>>54098842

There's plenty to discuss, people are still testing trying to figure to figure out what works or doesn't on the tabletop (beyond mathhammer). Lots of FW stuff needs testing too now that we have the Indexes.

It's true that these threads have slowed down a lot since release, but there's still a lot to talk about and the 40kg shitshow threads aren't a particularly good place to do it.
>>
New tigershark from fw this year?
>>
What is a good counter for knights for a similar number of points?
>>
>>54099519
hope so. looks so good!

>>54101009
y'vahra
>>
>>54101025
but the range on it means that the knight would just go into close combat, then you can do very little, and you cannot kill it in 1 turn.
>>
>>54101220
since you cannot kill it in 1 turn, you get in close combat and so stuck there, running away means it chases you and you get attacked again, so is there something with more range might survive better, unless you nova reactor away, then try it again, giving shots every other turn.
>>
>>54101275
maybe something longer range would be better unless someone who has tested it can tell us.
>>
File: 1492013152091.jpg (58KB, 532x559px) Image search: [Google]
1492013152091.jpg
58KB, 532x559px
So it says a Devilfish can carry 12 units.
Does that number count the side mounted drones?
What about the Pathfinder recon drone that can sit in the top?
Also how viable a tactic is drone-bombing someone with a Devilfish?
>>
>>54101661
The side and recon drones don't count towarss the total
>>
>>54101661
The recon drone can fit on a devilfish?
>>
>>54102466
Yeah. The tube portion of it is designed to slot into the top opening. The devilfish even has a special rule for it that lets it gain the benefits of the drone.
>>
>>54102595
shit I just tried it, looks cool
>>
>>54102667
Yeah. Unfortunately not too useful, since it just makes your burst cannons and attached gun drones ignore cover. You're also paying the points for a pathfinder squad.

It'd be alright at trying to root out light hordes in cover at least
>>
>>54103185
Can the recon drone still not fire while attached to the devilfish? Too bad, since it's built so it can rise out of the slot and deploy the burst cannon, and I think some of the photos in the codex even showed it like that.
>>
>>54103317
I don't believe so. It would be nice to have that extra bit of firepower for it
>>
>>54101334
commander with 4x fusion in addition to 1 turn od shootinf with the xv 109 should do the trick and leave you full hp on both
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.