[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 31

File: Sansa.jpg (10KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
Sansa.jpg
10KB, 189x267px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/ thread:
>>53958241
>>
>>53964696
That makes sense, and it's also more interesting than just attacking head on. Thanks.
>>
>>53964693
>All the candidates for artificer mechanical servants with enough INT to activate infused spells don't have the CON to make double concentration spells worth it
Zounds, foiled again.
>>
>>53964756
Well played kobolds are cunning cowards. I really like your setting. From Volo's Guide we know that kobolds accept their place as minions. Therefore being pushed by a dragon who they respect as some kind of demi-god to attack the goblin tribe would ultimately put the kobolds in a classical aversion-aversion conflict.

Depending on the urgency of the dragon, they will have to improvise their cunning tactics and have to rely on traps which are shoddy even compared to kobold standards.
>>
How does grappling work with a 2-handed weapon?
Can you grapple while wielding a greatsword, can you then attack the grappled target? what if you grapple someone with a great weapon?
>>
>>53964878
You need a free hand to grapple so, while you can hold the 2h weapon, you can't wield it to attack.

Someone that is being grappled has no inherent penalty to using their equipment (which is why you combo grapple with shove prone).
>>
>>53964878
I could imagine it working you standing behind someone, you move your axe around them in one hand and grab it with the other and choke them out with the weapon or something. Not sure about what it says in RAW
>>
>>53964693
Not really 5e related, however, a player of my group will bring her boyfriend to the next session tomorrow. I know him a bit, we already drank some beer on a LARP so I'm pretty sure he does not only join because of her. Unfortunately, both are on a trip in iceland and I couldn' talk to them beforehand.

Their characters will most likely not be together at the beginning, because her character is already tightly settled within the campaign. But I would expect and wouldn't mind that they will find each other within the game as well.

Should I try to incorporate their relationship within the plot or should I "ignore" it and let them do their thing. What would you prefer?

I just want to know whether I should prepare some ideas or not. Nonetheless, I will try to talk to them before we start playing but I bad at complete improvising.
>>
Any chance anyone here might have purchased

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172545/DMs-Kit-On-the-Trail-of-Tyranny

and would want to share?
>>
>>53964929
Either talk it over with them or let them do their own thing. Just because the've got a relationship irl doesn't mean their characters will. It'd probably be super annoying for the other players if that actually was the case.
>>
Is it me that's lacking sources or are there no 2 con 1 cha races?
>>
> not sure what class to play next
It'll be expedition campaign, so ranger or druid is a given... but there are stuff I want to try with warlock or cleric too...
>>
>>53965007
Why not variant human
>>
>>53965007
None, if your DM allows Variant Human then you can get +1 CON and +1 CHA. Then choose your free feat to be one with +1 CON.
>>
>>53964961
Well, that won't be that much of a problem since we have another couple at the table and my wife is playing as well. Okay, the couple is playing rival thieves. Therefore I won't prohibit if they decide playing as couple. They are old enough to not be annoying if they decide playing as couple.

But I will talk to them beforehand what they have in mind. Thanks
>>
>>53965072
>>53965077
Didn't think of that, but it works, thanks.
>>
>>53964837
Actually, it's not the case. As it stands, they found a dragon egg and now that the players need to reach a temple by a lake controlled by fey that is beyond goblin territory, the kobolds want to take advantage of the situation and go there to see if they could bless the egg or some such, I'm still thinking of that part.
But since the players only know about the egg, I could also implement what you say about the dragon, I like it.
>>
>>53964938
Dude, it's $2.99. Just buy the damn thing yourself you cheap-ass faggot.
>>
>>53965142
And I really like the idea of giving a dragon egg to the PCs and have opposing parties being interested in it.

If kobolds worship dragons as godlike creatures it is very likely, that they will venerate dragon eggs as sacral.
>>
>>53965174
$3 is 10,5 liras for me. I am not spending 10 liras on a PDF when I could eat 1 meal with that money.
>>
>pick wizard
>hack your way through the campaign with magics
why is this acceptable
>>
>>53965362
Because Clerics and Druids can do the exact same thing.
>>
>>53965316
Dude I'm poor as fuck and I can still afford $2.99 for myself. The PDF isn't going anywhere, just spend like 2 liras less per paycheck for the next five paychecks and you're set.

Also - Turkish?
>>
>>53965362
A DM that lets a wizard (or any spellcaster) do this is...I'm not going to say "bad", but I will say "boring".

The campaign world is a big place with a lot of stuff going on. Not everything in it is going to happen at a time that is convenient for you.
>>
I see Feral Teifling replaces the ASI. Could I be both Feral and also another Variant, such as Winged or Tongue?
>>
>>53965316
>I don't want the book

Ok.
>>
>>53965316
Consider the following-
You buy a meal and you're hungry again in a few hours.
A book lasts indefinitely.
>>
>>53965453
>I see Feral Teifling replaces the ASI. Could I be both Feral and also another Variant, such as Winged or Tongue?
Yes you can be a Feral Winged Tiefling, but you can't combine Winged and Tongue for example.
>>
>>53965453
The SCAG specifically (and until this moment I thought clearly) states that Devil's Tongue, Winged, and Hellfire are mutually exclusive (probably because they all replace the same feature). Feral is not Devil's Tongue, Winged, or Hellfire.

So, yes, you can be a Feral Winged tiefling or the like.
>>
>>53965483
Just checking there want a "you can only have one Variant per character" rule.
>>
How much damages does a falling boulder do? If I drop a 100lb rock on a dude from 60ft up? If it's a 400lb rock?
>>
>>53965506
>The SCAG specifically (and until this moment I thought clearly) states that Devil's Tongue, Winged, and Hellfire are mutually exclusive (probably because they all replace the same feature). Feral is not Devil's Tongue, Winged, or Hellfire.
>So, yes, you can be a Feral Winged tiefling or the like.
Feral Winged tiefling is also a notorious powergamer race :P
>>
>>53965516
It's a hazard so it scales with level.
>>
>>53965527
>Feral Winged tiefling is also a notorious powergamer race :P
They make fun as heck Rogues though :3
>>
>>53965527
Yeah I'm mainly looking at it because the other abilites aren't as good for a WIS caster (considering Teifling Ranger)
>>
>>53965564
>>53965558

Yeah, it's a very good race choice. Just be warned that your DM might not be ok with it if you're in a low-op party (or if you're a That Guy).
>>
Guys, help me out here.

I want to take 5 levels of warlock (pact magic slots are 3rd level), and then take one level of sorcerer.

This allows me to pick haste as a spell, right?

Sorcerer's spellcasting feature says you can learn a spell as long as you have a slot of the level required to cast it.
>>
>>53965516
There's a few ways to determine this, but I find the simplest is to just look at the Giants in the MM and pick out a giant you think can throw the rock of the size you want. Most of them seem to be 4d10, but Storm giants are instead 4d12.

So probably 4d10, then add falling damage (1d6 per 10 feet to a max of 20d6, so in your case of 60 ft., 6d6).

4d10+6d6 is an average of 43 damage, which might not sound like much, but remember that:

1) D&D is not a real life simulator;
2) D&D characters are basically superhuman;
3) 43 damage is enough to outright kill most of the NPCs in the Monster Manual, as well as a giant boar, and critically injure an elephant.
>>
>>53965603
No.
>>
>>53965603
When determining spells known for a spellcaster class you only use the levels you have in that class, so your sorcerer spell list would be those of a 1st level sorcerer.
>>
>>53965316
And $3 is three meals to someone that cooks for themselves. What's your point, that recreational shit sometimes costs money, and so does food?
>>
>>53965641
Can you direct me to where the book, errata, or sage advice says this?

I'm not seeing it.
>>
File: page 164.jpg (91KB, 605x440px) Image search: [Google]
page 164.jpg
91KB, 605x440px
>>53965667
Page 164 of the players handbook, the section on multiclassing rules has specific rules for spell slots and spells known.
>>
>>53965705
Thanks.
>>
Would you let a player choose a Hobgoblin that uses the Goblin stats (except Medium)?

I have a Hobgoblin character in mind but their stats (except the aim boost) are simply no good for them.
>>
>>53965421
Thinking more on it I realised the "time where a spellcaster can't do something" is when they run out of spellslots.
I've never seen this happen however. Conveniently any time a boss encounter happens the spellcasters had a long rest first.
>>
>>53965607
That sounds wicked bueno, and I look forward to flying and dropping boulders on people.
>>
>>53965789
I'd just fluff it as an abnormally small hobgoblin
>>
>>53965806
I had a wizard break down in an actual screaming tantrum because I had them fight a group of Rakshasa, which is you aren't already aware have spell resistance. The wizard thought this was bullshit I was making up.
>>
>>53965884
That sounds fun.
>>
>>53965884
Don't forget that Rakshasas respawn after they are killed and will/should come after the PCs with a vengeance.
>>
what weapon should i choose for my revised kensai monk and how do i fluff it?

i was thinking longsword as a katana but i don't know if the title is already taken by another weapon.

anyway can i use it 2handed thanks to the versatile property and still get off my free unarmed strikes using my hooves [/spoilers] without any drawback aside for not being able to deflect arrows?
>>
>>53965965
It was one of my regular players coworkers who asked to join a one shot we were running while some of the other players were out of town, the whole thing got really awkward after that. I don't really get what his deal was.
>>
Are the roll20 tokens for curse of strahd in the mega?
>>
>>53965978
I'm pretty sure by RAW you can just take a hand off of your weapon to make unarmed strikes/catch arrows
>>
>>53965806
>Conveniently any time a boss encounter happens the spellcasters had a long rest first.

That is, in my opinion, an example of the Dungeon Master doing things wrong.

I'm not saying that the DM should have major encounters happen every time that the wizard is out of spell slots while laughing maniacally or something. Just that random encounters and interrupted rests and attempts at stealing gear (possibly including spellbooks or spell component pouches) are things that can and should happen every now and again.

I also have a policy of ensuring that boss fights only happen when the player characters have already expended at least a few of their resources. A boss fight should happen when it's most convenient for the boss, not the party.
>>
>>53965985
REEEEE MY CHARACTER SHOULD BE ABLE TO ONE-SHOT ANY MONSTER I WANT
>>
>>53965884
Aw man, I would have loved to see that.
>>
>>53966055
REEEE WHAT DO YOU MEAN RAKSHASA ARE IMMUNE TO SPELLS BELOW 6TH LEVEL HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAGIC MISSILE THIS TO DEATH
>>
>A Nilbog mixed with a Rakasha's stat block and spell resistance

How much would my players hate me if I unleashed this on them?
>>
>>53966090
You just made Mr. Mxylptlk, he would be a fun random encounter enemy if he's basically impossible to fight but just wants you to do entertaining one off quests for him.
>>
>>53966090
>>53966116
I am totally doing this
>>
>>53966034
Yeah that sounds like how an adventure should go.
>>
>>53965978
I don't think you need a free hand for unarmed attacks anyway, they can always be kicks or headbutts.
>>
>Lizardman Beastmaster with a Crab pet
Y/N?
>>
>>53966210
As long as you command it with 'crab battle' it's a yes.
>>
Who should my GOOlock worship? I'm leaning towards Hadar, Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, or Ghaunadar.
Hadar I like because of Arms of Hadar and Hunger of Hadar.
Azathoth and Nyarlathotep are because I love H. P. Lovecraft and know a lot about them.
Ghaunadar because I like his worship guidelines, but sacrifices wouldn't fit well with a good aligned group so I'll be burning my hand a lot.
>>
>>53965978
You don't need you hand free to deflect missile (it work on all weapon ranged attack btw, including rock,gun and goblin bullet), you only need them if you want to catch it and throw it back.
>>
>>53966007
>>53965978
thanks.

i am having other doubts about the monk...

>FLURRY OF BLOWS
>Immediately after you take the Attack action on yourturn, you can spend I ki point to make two unarmedstrikes as a bonus action.

can i make a ranged attack, move, do an unarmed strike, move then the last unarmed strike of the flurry of blows?
>>
>>53966250
IT BROKE MY KNIFE

Maybe I'll continue the meme train and name him Citizen Snips
>>
>>53966267
Yes.

If you get Mobile you can even do "decent" damage via Sharpshooter by
>Shoot
>Shoot
>Run in and kick
>Back up again
>>
Anyone have that link to creatures with resistances totaled?

Trying to decide on GFB or BoomBlade, leaning to BoomBlade because there isn't anything immune to it I can think of.
>>
>>53966311
wow awesome, thanks
>>
>>53966357
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage

Booming Blade works great in conjunction with Warcaster because you can use your opportunity attacks on it and they'll have to take the thunder damage.
>>
File: Untitled.png (205KB, 341x754px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
205KB, 341x754px
>>53966132
Shit, I might too. Hang on...
>>
How important would you say Mounted Combatant is for a Beast Ranger using their pet as a mount?

On one hand beast pets are more durable than other mounts but on the other they aren't THAT much stronger.
>>
>>53966458
Not absolutely necessary, though the the half damage from AOE attacks helps. Unless your DM lets you use large creatures as the companion you're not going to be getting much mileage on the advantage against creatures smaller than your mount anyway.
>>
>>53964693
>https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
Does anyone know if there's a way to DL a github site for offline use?
>>
>>53966458
It's more useful for the Artificer than for beastmaster.
>>
>>53966629
https://github.com/astranauta/astranauta.github.io

Click download/clone and download it as a zip
>>
>>53966645
Rock gnome gunsmith riding on gorillabot?
>>
My players in SKT are approaching the Eye of the All-Father. Next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for running that area? One thing that I think might be logistically difficult is how large the area is. Also, should I be depicting the terrain using maps or should I just tell them what's in the non-combat rooms? I don't have a problem drawing maps for areas, but the sheer size might make it take too long in-session or be too large to use on my table.

Do you draw areas that don't have combat?
>>
File: 1481632489667.jpg (255KB, 667x1406px) Image search: [Google]
1481632489667.jpg
255KB, 667x1406px
For an upcoming game i'm doing this dude, a calm measured sort of fighter attached by the city lord to a party of adventurers that are deemed equal parts potential for heroism and trouble.

Human (Variant) [City Watch]
Fighter (Knight) 1 [Tunnel Fighter]
18 - 14 - 17/18 - 10 - 16 - 11/12
PAM
Athletics
Insight - Perception
Intimidation - Persuasion

Any mechanical slack that can use tightening up?
>>
File: 1362881263708.gif (998KB, 219x300px) Image search: [Google]
1362881263708.gif
998KB, 219x300px
>>53966705
Thanks friend
>>
File: 12032305024.jpg (65KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
12032305024.jpg
65KB, 700x700px
>>53965516

>Improvised weapon. 1d4 plus your Strength modifier.
>>
>>53966754
>implying anyone has ever gotten past Act 3 in SKT
>>
>>53966945
Improvised weapons really are one of the worst rules in 5E I think
>>
I want to play a Lizardfolk Moon Druid who only turns into reptiles, what are some good choices for level 1?
>>
>>53967179
That's because DM's are retarded and forget the "you can decide the damage die" part of the rule.
>>
>>53967179
I can remember the opposite rulings of 3.5 when things did damage by weight, so people minmaxed the largest objects their characters would capable of throwing. The result was retarded Hulking Hurler builds that could one shot anything printed.
>>
I want to get into d&d but I'm an absolute beginner. Would getting the 5th edition starter set, pathfinder, or another d&d be a good idea for a first timer?
>>
>>53967479
Probably 5e because it's the newest. There's not a ton of books out for it, there's lots of people playing it too.
>>
>>53967479

5th edition is the best for beginners, for sure.
>>
>>53967479
>Pathfinder
Avoid at all costs. 5e is best for a beginner. Buy a PHB.
>>
File: 6466466.jpg (125KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
6466466.jpg
125KB, 1366x768px
Would it be worth playing a paladin who primarily uses a longsword, no shield and uses tavern brawler/maybe grappler?
I would like to be able to pommel strike (improvised weapon) and grapple someone. Having a way to nearly guarantee advantage on smite would be nice, however that would make my damage 1d8-1d10.
>>
>>53966799
>Tunnel Fighter
>PAM
Show some mercy
>>
>>53966799
>knight
>tunnel fighter
>PAM

good god dude, have SOME restraint
>>
Any kind of backstory I can use for a Great old One patron warlock other than "muh indescribable horror"
>>
For a Ranger (or any class without Extra Attack really) is Booming Blade, PAM, or CBE generally the better choice for getting an extra swing in?
>>
>>53967804
But ranger does get extra attack
>>
>>53967804
All rangers other than Beast Conclave get Extra Attack.

PAM for Str, CBE for Dex.
>>
>>53967780
>>53967750
I did consider dropning tunnel fighter for Defense as there is a fair bit of redundancy, especially when Sentinel comes later.
>>
>>53965061
It's my opinion that jumping them is the intention. You have to make an acrobatics check if you jump into difficult terrain, spike growth has camo, and the walls have a height. You're supposed to hop over grease when you can.
>>
>>53967828
Yea I mean beast obviously
>>
>>53967479
5e is actually the best starting point for DND as of now. pathfinder is good but has a cancerous community that you'd want to avoid. most people don't like 4e so it'd be hard to find a decent group. 3.5 is just a more poorly balanced pathfinder but with a less degenerate community.
>>
>>53967844
I suppose it makes sense with spike growth to say 'hey everyone, jump this', but doesn't spike growth have a bit of height to it?
I guess with grease you could try pushing someone back onto the grease or do it against enemies that suck at jumping.
>>
>>53967804
Ranger gets Extra Attack (except Revised Beastmaster)

But to answer your question, no class without Extra Attack wants PAM, and CBE is good for any ranged martial (inc. Rogues, the only martial without extra attack).

As for BB, that's for melee Rogues and gish Sorcerers/Warlocks/Arcane Clerics.
>>
>>53967833
Have you actually read tunnel fighter? How many blowjobs did you have to give the DM to get that approved?
>>
>>53965564
I'm actually playing a feral tiefling ranger, not winged though. My hellish rebuke is shameful with DC 9.
>>
Why do bladesinger's get an extra attack when cantrips can't be cast twice?
>>
>>53967784

An entity from outside of creation that is immensely curious, one who wanted to peek in to see what was going on as the world was being formed, only for his meddling to be punished by sealing him behind the creation he so wanted to discover. There's nothing malevolent or benevolent about it: it just wants to know about this curious thing, and there's so much to discover! At first it comes to the innocent seekers of lore, revealing small secrets to them, which lead them to go and find more apparently of their own volition- but it doesn't stop there. This Collector of Secrets yearns for more and more, grander and deeper mysteries, and in exchange for its patronage the granted has to just keep searching, seeking, picking apart- /knowing/.

It's not interested in your life or what you do with your powers, just so long as it gets its share of those secrets it was denied. It is, after all, so very, very curious.
>>
>>53967161
Chapter 3 was not well done, I'll admit. They basically said "your players will entertain themselves for 4-5 sessions." The plothooks from chapter 2 were SO LOOSE. Like, the Bryn Shander hooks are "go talk to people in three neighboring towns" and "go find my aunt in Luskan, oh, wait she's not there, well maybe try Waterdeep? Oh, not their either. Oh well!" And "go find a criminal who has a huge bounty on his head! Except no one has any clue where he is!"

Overall that's been my big complaint with Storm King's Thunder. There's stuff going on everywhere, but no reason for players to go there. Other than the cloud giant at the beginning telling the players that they are involved because of vague and undefined prophesy reasons, your players have NO reason to be involved in any of this crap.
>>
>>53967928
>Have you actually read tunnel fighter?
Yes

>How many blowjobs did you have to give the DM to get that approved?

None, It's the GM's first time so he didn't set any limits, my character is partly there to help the adventure along and cover for the fairly inexperienced players.

Personally I cannot into char-op, i just find a theme and then pile on every single race, feat, style and background that enforces it, my first three concepts were shot down here as un-optimized garbage.
>>
>>53967947
Because it's a badly designed archetype that has no compelling mechanical reason to be played the way it was intended to.
>>
>>53968092
>It's the GM's first time so he didn't set any limits
You should know better anon, shame on you, SHAME.
>>
>>53967161
>>53968009
But, all that being said, I think my players have had a good time with SKT. I've had to do a TON of prep outside the book, plus a lot of research from people who have ran or reviewed the material. But it's resulted in a pretty compelling campaign.

[Spoiler]For example, I put Harshnag AND the Weevil in Yartar, so they'd be able to meet Lord Drylund and find out that he's a shady character and see the goose coins. Maybe it's a little convenient that it's all together, but I'd much rather have that than what's suggested in the book. You're literally supposed to just roll a bunch of D20s in every town to find out if the coin came from there. That's it. It's so anti-climatic.
>>
Give me some dungeon ideas /5eg/
>>
>>53967804
GFB/BB are better then PAM if you don't have extra attack, CBE is worse damage unless you also get Sharpshooter but has the advantage of being ranged.

Personally I'd go GFB/BB and keep a Heavy Crossbow around for Ranger volly/arrow spells.
>>
>>53968103
Feel free to suggest a interesting thematic alternative, all that's required is that it can babysit a
Half-orc Bar-- "melee Ranger"
a elf druid whose platstyle is going to be "Maul, maul, swipe, fairy fire"
and a yuan-ti whisper bard likely to stick his nose, hands, fangs, dick and dagger into anything not under constant scrutiny.
>>
>>53968214
An abandoned city out in the middle of the desert. It's surrounded by huge stone walls and has some kind of temple/palace in the centre. All of the inhabitants are undead skeletons, some of whom may be friendly. The centre temple/palace leads into a subterranean dungeon in which some ancient treasure is hidden
>>
Does anyone else outright ban variant humans from their games?

It's definitely made my games a lot less autistic.
>>
>>53968265
I house rule it so variant humans can only pick a feat in place of the +1 to all stats instead of getting a feat, proficiency and ability score improvement.
>>
>>53968009

I'm in the middle of chapter 3 in SKT myself, and I'll agree with you that the weakest part of it is the lack of real impetus to go anywhere.

That said, SKT works extremely well as a "skeleton" campaign, where you can do the whole story, but also your own homebrew/character stories to fill in the blanks.

My players went to Waterdeep after Goldenfields, but the adventure they had there was based on a character's backstory. Their travels North to talk to Old Gnawbone are mixed in with personal stuff too. It's not a "plug and play" campaign like CoS or even OotA can be, but I like what it has in there.
>>
>>53968265
I make it only work for feats that give a +1 Ability Score.
>>
>>53968214
A literal dungeon. The [INSERT NOBLE HERE]'s guards have been driven out of the dungeon, those who didn't escape were killed by some malicious magic and rose from the dead shortly after. The dungeon is inhabited by the walking dead of prisoner's and guards alike, along with the hateful ghosts of those wrongly imprisoned. The party is hired to go find the source of the undead and put an end to it.

A tower belonging to a powerful warlock who became obsessed with cataloging every creature. He's kidnapped the daughter of some important person from the town near his dwelling, but when the players go to rescue her the warlock unleashes his menagerie of various magical beasties and other violent beings.
>>
>>53968214
Massive building on a floating island that remains a dungeon because you can't easily siege / clear out a place when it's on a floating island. Full of cultists and monsters.

Pyramid with lots of mechanical traps and undead and ancient treasures.

A vast garden filled with all manner of hostile and dangerous plantlife along with fae and animal creatures.

A large metal dungeon underground that has plenty of constructs and such. There are powers inside that change gravity and each room has details on the roof, floor and walls so each room is essentially different depending on how gravity is orientated at the time.

A dungeon where you have to defeat bosses in order to take away hazards that make other things more challenging. i.e. fire bursting out of walls and floors and driving a lava flow blocking one path so you have to kill the fire boss. Or you could ignore all the side bosses and head straight for the main boss, but then you'd have to fight the main boss with a whole ton of environmental hazards and they'd have lair actions for each thing.
>>
>>53968265
No because my players aren't shitters.
>>
>DM says he is fine with changing small things for races/classes if it fits your character
>can't think if anything
I wish I wasn't so unimaginative
>>
>>53968374
What race/class are you playing?
>>
>>53968391
Hill dwarf stone sorcerer
>>
>>53968432

What does he mean by small things? Spell flavor? Racial abilities?
>>
>>53968299
Nice! I think that's a good way of doing it. I've also read suggestions about skipping the first three chapters and just doing a standard 1-5 adventure, then having the group meet up with Harshnag and going straight to the giant temple. I think from that point the adventure becomes a lot more compelling.
>>
>>53968499
More on the flavor/ribbon side of things or small things like getting another spell from a racial because it fits your backstory
>>
>>53968561

Maybe expand on Stonecunning and turn it into "Stone Sense" or something, allowing you to navigate underground passageways easier, never getting lost underground, being able to detect veins of ore, etc.

Also worth considering is the goliath's Stone's Endurance (which seems more fitting for dwarves, imo) and see if he'd let you steal that ability.
>>
File: 1459965714833.png (119KB, 500x434px) Image search: [Google]
1459965714833.png
119KB, 500x434px
>tfw i havent played a game in over a month because other players are too busy to show up
>>
Is Blade Mastery a fine feat to take on a Swashbuckler Rogue? I'm playing him like a fancy noble duelist.

If it is not, what do you recommend?
>>
>>53968640
been in that boat.

currently, i'm in the opposite vessel. we have too many damn people who wanna play and we are getting to the point where we are going to have to boot people from playing to give others a chance. feels shitty man.
>>
>>53968654
Magic Initiate for Booming Blade.
>>
>>53968683
Why not just have two games?
>>
>>53968739
>>53968683

what about two DMs who coordinate together running parallel campaigns in the same world,and the players have the option of switching over from one party to the other?
>>
File: YVKEvQI.png (62KB, 988x704px) Image search: [Google]
YVKEvQI.png
62KB, 988x704px
>>53968739
we do
>>
>>53968769
But then you just have two DM's running two parties that are always really close to each other.

The best option is to have one party be the group of villains, or at least have them want the same goal as the other party so they often show up at the same place looking for the same treasure
>>
>>53967427
your only option is the dino from volos, because all other reptiles have a swim speed
>>
>>53969015
Good ol' refluffing.
>Bear is a Daedroth from Oblivion
>Steeder is a Raptor-looking dino with big meaty claws/teeth for grappling, and can spit goo for webs
>Wolf is just a big ol' lizard that gets up in people's kool aid and bites them in the ankles
>>
What kind of enemies might travel with Frost Giants?
>>
>tfw working 6 days a week and don't have more time for d&d
>>
>>53969173
White dragons
>>
what do people have against their characters dying?
>>
>>53969363
would you prefer people not giving a shit about their characters and suiciding them every session and rolling up new ones for the next

how are you going to have a coherent campaign if characters dont last more than a session?
>>
>>53967861
pathfinder isn't balanced either. WAAAAY to many rules and cancerous possiblities
>>
>>53967784
I've been thinking about this, my latest character is an old ones lock, I was thinking a force of chaos, was thinking a slaad but they aren't THAT strong, but it said that they spawn from a big LN machine that limbo has corrupted, so I'm thinking maybe part of that has gained a kind of sentience.. My character was part of a coven that claimed they were going to free people from their chains, but we're really just trying to enslave people and destroy those who get in their way. So he objected, and was disemboweled and his blood was used in the ritual they were doing when the angry mob kicked down their door. The mob was eventually beaten, the remains immobilized by a mass insanity spell... The dying cultist made a deal with one of the dying villagers who promised to use his powers for good. Their ruined bodies and minds were knitted phisicaly together, with the cutest dying but the villager getting his memories and pact.
>>
>>53969220
i feel you bro, when summer ends for me, my school is gonna rip me for dnd
>>
>>53969399
Personally I'd prefer if DM's weren't so scared of killing PC's.
>>
>>53969526
yeah, if the players dont feel threatened, then thats not good
>>
Which is the smugest class?
>>
>>53966945

It's an environmental hazard, not a weapon. Weapons aren't the only thing that does damage in 5e.
>>
>>53969695
"Whore of Babylon" Paladin as a runner up. With a bard you can slowly smug a character to death.
>>
>>53967479

Starter Set's the best place to start by a long mile, and includes the adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver which a lot of people, including me, think is one of the best adventures written for 5e. It'd be worth it if you weren't getting dice, pregens, and rulebooks, but you are so it's even more worth it.

If you take a look at that and want more, grab the Players Hand Book, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide in that order. I personally love the hardbacks that give you specific adventures in a specific setting, but not everyone does.

In the meantime, you can grab the basic rules for free at http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules . There's a lot of stuff from the PHB that isn't in there, but it's enough to get you started while the Starter Set is shipping.
>>
I'm going to run Lost Mines of Phandelver for randoms on roll20, starting this sunday.
First time running a game and also first time playing on roll20. I have good 5e experience from the player side though and I'm a /5eg/ regular.
Please shower me with tips to run the session smoothly.
>>
>>53969363
To give you a serious answer:
Sometimes people really enjoy the personality and "feel" of a character, and would consider it cheap to remake an exact copy.
Sometimes they're having a blast with the character's story arc and would be disappointed if it never came to a satisfying conclusion.
I also know some people who take an awfully long time getting attached to their PCs, and who lose interest in the game when the PC dies, which is understandable IMO though it doesn't fit every group.
>>
>>53968797

yeah but it would be a cool gimmick if the parties weren't set in stone and characters could switch sides.
>>
Hey /tg/. I've built a forge golem boss. He's in a room of lava - and his main gimmick is that when he takes fire damage he heals, and then "vents heat". Vent heat means the golem cannot move or act for a turn, but at the end of the turn anyone not out of LoS of the golem takes basically lethal or nearly lethal damage. However, I'm worried that my players will simply run out of cover, hit it, then run back. Is there any way I can stop this, that's better than simply having the golem be 40ft away in difficult terrain.
>>
>>53970287
I would use environmental factors to make the players move around and avoid sticking under the same cover. Maybe allow them 2-3 rounds to wail on the golem, then lava pours from the ceiling or walls and the boss does his special move, each time removing more cover options. Honestly it sounds like a hard boss anyways, unless your party is all ranged.
>>
>>53969998
Prepare the town because they might not go to the hideout

hideout is *very* hard for lvl1 characters

have random encounters ready for in-town and travel portions, not fights necessarily but encounters with people, environment etc

the side quests are fun but try to connect them to some sort of story arc maybe

Don't know if you're using the pre-made characters but those include incentives for the characters for Thundertree etc. Do something like that with your group

I'll answer if you have specific questions
>>
1 Oni, 1 Half-Ogre and some Crocodiles. Is this a good encounter, does it make sense?

Oni will board a ship looking as a dwarf. PCs will be on the ship travelling to a city. Oni will steal babies/attack maidens whatever. Run to tent on riverbed if PCs aggressive. Half-Ogre and crocs will be waiting there.

Just a random fight for 4 characters, each 7 level
>>
>>53970458
Take this.
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>53970287
How about maintenance minions in the form of mini golems? They harass the players out of cover, and/or if left to their own devices, will splash some lava on the boss to heal it (therefore players cannot afford to move behind cover forever)
>>
>>53969998
Prepare a (new or existing NPC) to replace Sildar in case he dies and the players miss out on the exposition/quest giving.

Also, check this out: http://haluz.org/lmop/
>>
>>53970791
>>53970397
Both good ideas, thanks. I'll probably do a combo of both.
>>
>Cleric of Kelemvor and LG Paladin already in party
>guy decides to play as a revenant

How would it be possible to RP this?
>>
>>53970896
depends on the revenant's target. If the revenant is trying to right a wrong, the cleric and paladin could help him to put him to rest.

If the revenant is just being a dickhole, the cleric and paladin will solve the problem quickly.
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (222KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
222KB, 550x550px
Do you tend to have you villains or bbeg's in the background where the players never even see him/her, or do you just prefer to have him meet the players at a point they cant take him to rile them up?
>>
>>53970287
Have the cover get destroyed, then have rocks fall from the blast creating new cover.
>>
>>53970864
Thanks senpai

>>53970423
Could you elaborate on some of those encounters?
What did you like about the adventure? What would you change?
I see the hideout is hard, so I thought to have Sildar run up and take a hit that would down a char and have the Bugbear use the frenzy barb Intimidating Presence on someone if he's sweeping the field (the book says to just have him stand and taunt, which seems silly)
>>
Would a Goliath Stone Sorceror make sense thematically and would it work for a melee focused caster?
>>
>>53971220
It kinda would.
But why don't you play an Earth Genasi? Nobody plays Genasis :/
>>
>>53970998
The former, unless there is a very good reason for the enemy to run into the PCs and not kill them ("muh arrogance" is not a good reason).
>>
>>53971287
The players unknowingly stumbled into a cultist den where they are giving themselves as offering to a vampire lord, who is arriving shortly.

Session ended with them outside the door to this place so they still don't know what it is, but he is supposed to show up.
>>
>>53971286
Genasi are flavorless trash.
Goliath and Triton are infinitely better than earth and water Genasi because they have more to fall back on then
>Le rock and water dudes xD
>>
Please excuse how autistic this question is.

A long rest can be taken once every 8 hour period.

If my party awoke from a long rest at say 5.15 am having taking it 9.15 p.m the previous day then adventured until 12 p.m and they say they want to take a long rest what time are they actually allowed to do so for the mechanical benefit.

Would it be at 9.15 p.m again?

I ask as they're in the middle of a dungeon, I don't want to disallow the rest as I will be rolling random encounters for it anyway but I do want to explain they'll need to wait 9 more hours before they can do it. They could just sit there for 9 hours then sleep for 8 hours but then arguably that amount of time lets me roll for random encounters twice .
>>
>>53971397
>A long rest can be taken once every 8 hour period.

Woops I meant once every 24 hour period of course.
>>
>>53971397
>>53971424
let them take the long rest, but tell them they were already rested and just felt anxious the whole time, give them all a -1 to hit because they're sluggish now after sitting still for 8 hours for no reason

that'll show the cunts
>>
>>53971397
you're reading too much into it. Just use this simple rule: You cannot benefit from more than one long rest per day.
>>
File: 1329593241430.png (47KB, 286x324px) Image search: [Google]
1329593241430.png
47KB, 286x324px
>>53964693
>been slowly worldbuilding
>had been giving reasons why my world's elves/humans, etc. are different from the PHB base versions, because i reworked the stats of every race
>suddenly have this realization that it's my world I can just say they were always like that.

well thats a lot of wasted time.
>>
What is the rule for spell casting multiple times on the same turn?
My friend claims that quicken allows a sorcerer to cast two of the same spell such as fireball.
>>
>>53971458
Don't do this because its retarded.
>>53971397
just have the rest interrupted. are they out of spells or something.
>>
>>53971487
your friend is an idiot and needs to read the rulebook, page 202 specifically.
>>
>>53971467
Yes but my question is attempting to quantify what a day means by the rules.

As I say if they sleep at 9.15 p.m wake at 5.15 a.m when's the next time they can rest for the benefit? I think by raw it's 9.15 that day as that's 24 hours after the last long rest.

While you can abstract it it does lead to there being no real reason for the players to finish one encounter then take a long rest then go again etc. (obviously you can have the world react to this and design your game do the players don't do it BUT I'd rather have a clean mechanical solution than an ad hoc DM one that still won't apply in every situation.
>>
>>53971481
>reinventing the wheel
But why?
>>
>>53971467
What if it's the arctic summer?
>>
>>53971534
>Yes but my question is attempting to quantify what a day means by the rules.
Simply don't.

Just have a checklist:
Monday>Long Rest Yes/no
Tuesday>Long rest Yes/no
Wednesday>etc.

If they have used a long rest, they don't benefit from another until the next day. Now, what you want to define a "day" is up to you, it can be when the clock rolls over to 12:00am, or dawn, noon, whatever. A strict 24 adherence will lead to odd situations where your characters may only get to long rest at 9:30 pm one day, 2:47 pm another day, 6:00am the next, etc.

Just pick an arbitrary time, and if you need to, put an 8 hour cooldown or something on it, so they cant long rest, fight a battle, long rest again within two hours.
>>
>>53971537
Probably because he has too much spare time.

Deep down its the only reason /wbg/ exists
>>
>>53964693
>Want to play Artificer
>Don't want an adventuring career filled with "sacred flame" save and sucks and a shitty pet.
Shame
>>
>DM doesn't know the rules
>Players don't know the rules
I feel like I'm the only one who has read the rulebook. It's not that these are houserules its that no one actually read the book.
>>
File: 1390679601748.png (81KB, 372x375px) Image search: [Google]
1390679601748.png
81KB, 372x375px
>>53971537
There are plenty of campaign settings that do exactly that. Midgard, Arcanis, etc. It's your world, elves and such grew up differently than those of your standard fantasy world. My world is more inspired from the Mediterranean and Mesopotamia, North Africa, and Central Asia, rather than say just Europe. Fuck forests, make the main areas of play deserts, salt flats, the open steppes, jungles, and tropical coastlines.

So yeah, my elves are much different than other elves, and I like it that way.
>>
>>53971706
Just start making your own shit up.
>>
>>53971662
eh, the pet is passable for most games, the levels it really starts to fall off are when most games are ending. Even then, it makes a good packmule for all your phat lewts.

>>53971706
welcome to 5e, friend.
>>
>>53971706
Same here, if I remind some rule people call me "no fun allowed"
>>
What should I do when I feel trapped?

I have issues with my DM, but I don't want to quit the game.

I can't talk to anyone in the group about it because they'll all disagree with me or think I'm being ridiculous or something.

I can't even post about my problems here because people in the group I'm apart of lurk /5eg/ occasionally.

I certainly can't talk to my DM about it because she'll just brush me off with assurances that my issues aren't a big deal and to just have fun.

What should I do?
>>
>>53971756
I'm just baffled they printed it after they retooled Beast master ranger.
>>
File: MmYesWonderful.jpg (14KB, 439x323px) Image search: [Google]
MmYesWonderful.jpg
14KB, 439x323px
>>53971662
>>53971756
>playing artificer in CoS
>tfw knowing that the game will end well before the mechanical servant reaches its shelf life
>>
>>53971779
>I roll persuade at the king
>Lol NAT 20 I'm king now
>But that's not how it works...
>Fuck you nerd go play magic.
>>
>>53971813
Honestly, this is a Facebook-tier complaint - "Ugh, I have a problem with _____, but I can't talk about it." What do you want us to do, give you a cuddle and say it'll be alright? You've given us nothing to work with at all.
>>
>>53971813
She wants to fug. Take her out on a date.
>>
>>53971813
>>53971941
This, honestly, famiglia.
>>
>>53971813
Have you even even tried talking to them? Explain your concerns. Give a reasoned argument. If they agree, then great. If they disagree, then you either have to decide if it's worth playing or if it's time to walk away.
>>
>>53971721
>make the main areas of play deserts, salt flats, the open steppes
>Making combat happen in a literal featureless white plain

Ok.
>>
>>53971813
Just tell us, they wont know it was you
>>
>>53971905
>I am incapable of giving advice unless I know everything about the issues, I am a dumb drone who can't generalize or empathize in the slightest.

See
>>53972063
Thank you friend, I'll consider doing that but honestly I already know it won't work and they'll end up despising me for being "dramatic".

>>53972085
It's a very specific problem, they'd instantly know it was me if I gave details.
>>
>>53972122
>I already know it won't work and they'll end up despising me for being "dramatic".
Then it's time to walk away. The group sounds bad and it's not going to get any better.
>>
>>53972141
>The group sounds bad
What if they are the issue though
>>
>>53972179
Then he should still walk away and spare the other players his BS.
>>
File: 1496709682760.jpg (120KB, 557x510px) Image search: [Google]
1496709682760.jpg
120KB, 557x510px
>>53972122
>can't tell your party
>can't tell your dm
>can't tell us
I'm not sure what you are expecting. Either talk to your party, suck it up, or post about it here and ruin the general with your drama.
>>
File: 1338915921495.jpg (116KB, 869x810px) Image search: [Google]
1338915921495.jpg
116KB, 869x810px
>>53972079
>what are buildings, fortresses, and the like

while i can see some combat on those places, they could make for interesting encounters, especially if they are out in the dunes and can't run for the life of them, the entire field is difficult terrain.

>encounters, chases through the streets of a busy bazaar

also let me ask, how many encounters have you done in the forest where the DM actually takes trees and other things into account? I have literally never seen it in my 17 years of official D&D'ing.
>>
>>53971706
What rules aren't they doing properly?

I'm.always paranoid this is me and my group though I'm pretty sure for the most part (minus house rules and the odd case of forgetting a rule) we are playing raw.
>>
Is paladin 2/sorcerer x a scummy multiclass?
>>
>>53972286
>Is paladin 2/sorcerer x a scummy multiclass?
Every multiclass is scummy
>>
Is the UA Beastmaster Ranger fun? I was thinking about rolling up a Lizardman Ranger with Shield Master and a re-fluffed Wolf companion to do prone and stab shenanigans with.
>>
>>53972269
Ignoring the action economy for the most part, trying to give speeches about friendship to raging orcs and then get confused why they can't also attack. Casters trying to squeeze in cantrips or full spells as bonus actions.
>>
>>53972333
>>53972333
>give speeches about friendship

Hmm, I tend to be okay with scattered conversation in combat . Likewise if a player wants to try to say persuade the monsters to stop fighting I might allow it as a bonus action purely because my.players do it so little anyway but I agree by raw it's a difficult action.

>Casters trying to squeeze in cantrips or full spells as bonus actions.

I made this mistake when I very first started with 5E with cantrips at least. Bonus action was quite vaguely defined in the rules. Most players I explained it too assumed it was a bonus thing they could do and I had to explain that they could only do very specific things with it. I disallow it for cantrips etc now.
>>
>>53972327
It works and I like it. Low pet health can be an issue. You want cure wounds to get it back into a fight if it goes down, as it's a lot of your damage potential
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
40KB, 900x900px
>paladin surrounded by 6 enemies
>wizards turn
>'I want to fireball them all but not hit the paladin'
>2 minutes of wizard begging to the dm later he allows it
>say to the wizard it was dumb that it worked
>'you just have to ask the dm if you want something to happen that's not in the rules'
>>
>>53972832
What was his reasoning?
>>
>>53972847
Controlling the blast because magic
>>
>>53972906
Nigga should have gone sorcerer
>>
>>53972917
Even then they would still take damage
>>
>>53972917
He should've just been an evoker which has that EXACT ABILITY RAW
>>
>>53972906
Was he an Evocation wizard? Because that's a fucking class feature, you can't give that shit away for free.
>>
>>53972906
I could see a few ways the DM could have yielded to him.
>he can do it, but he needs to spend an extra spell slot to try to control it
>he has to roll to get it right
>paladin still gets hit but he gets to do the saving throw with advantage
>>
>>53972832
He better be a hobgoblin magic user.
>>
>>53972832
>I want to do something you have to pick a class/archetype for that I'm not
These "players" should be executed at the table.
>>
>>53972947
>>paladin still gets hit but he gets to do the saving throw with advantage>>
I like this one

the wizard just gives everyone a heads up and hurls this big ass fire ball into the fray, the paladin digs his tower shield into the dirt and takes cover
>>
>>53973118
>Let's ignore the rules for mechanical benefit

That's not how it works, anon
>>
>>53973178
role play man, come on, reward people for being invested
>>
>>53973202
I'd reward someone for being inventive. Having someone essentially take the dodge action when you cast a spell because you say 'look out!' isn't inventive
>>
>>53973202
>break the rules because we roleplayed it
no
>>
>>53969173
Winter wolves
>>
>>53972832
> Wasting everyone precious 2 minute to cheat
>>
>>53972832
Could he not have just readied an action and waited for the paladin to move out of the way?
>>
>>53973361
>You furiously check your spellbook to see if fireball could be adapted to leave your paladin friend unharmed. You take too much time and you lose your ability to take any action.
>>
>>53972832
Shit like this is when the DM should learn how to use "Yes... but".

I would go "Yes, you can use fireball without hitting the Paladin. But your arcane tradition will be change to Evocation forever and there will be no change in the future"
>>
>>53973386
It's 2 minute anon. His character should do nothing for 20 turns.
>>
Amateur homebrewer here with an honest question: how overpowered would a racial trait be that lets a Small race use weapons with the Heavy property?
>>
>>53973390
>implying dm can change the rules

nope, cant bend em at all
>>
File: 14659832.jpg (91KB, 662x660px) Image search: [Google]
14659832.jpg
91KB, 662x660px
>Your party is sneaking through a castle
>They find a hooded man seated on a chair who doesn't respond
>The ranger "I draw my bow and will fire at him the second he makes a hostile move"
>The wizard "I'll shoot a firebolt if he threatens us"
>Inevitably they say the wrong thing and he is an enemy and we roll initiative
>"But what about what we said?!"
>Oh ok here are your free actions roll damage
>Now we roll initiative

Would you allow it? Do you think people should gain free combat actions outside initiative for the narrative or should that be their first turn in combat?
>>
>>53973118

My general rule of thumb for this is if I allow it naturally the monsters can do it too as the world is symmetrical.

But believe me would the party be pissed if on the next session they got mobbed by a a bunch of the shielded wizards henchmen, he then cast fireball , tells them to duck and cover and they all got saves with advantage for having shields and being on his team while the entire party is hit due to being trapped in combat with the mooks.

It tends to cut down on certain shenanigans to twist the rules.
>>
>>53973450
It's more of a bluffing your way to dissuade the cheater.
>>
>>53973441
Wouldn't be. Its just a rule because a halfling using a pike 4 times their size is silly
>>
>
Darkvision. Thanks to your heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

So on roll20 with Dynamic lighting, how do I want to do this?

The tokens the github gives all have it as out to 60, but then the fade distance as 0.

Is that how it should be done?
>>
File: wewtrump.png (271KB, 726x587px) Image search: [Google]
wewtrump.png
271KB, 726x587px
>>53973390
>Yes, you can use the fireball without hitting the Paladin
>but the chunk of energy you made avoid the Paladin instead combusts right beneath you
>>
>>53973485
The hooded man isn't blind, he sees the bow drawn. Just say he prepared to dodge, and immediately let them roll attacks with disadvantage.
>>
>>53973485
I tend to err on allowing it. Those moves happen before intiative then the party goes into intiative. Of course it's fair the npc might defend himself in some way like the dodge action. Likewise I sometimes have enemies do the same. If the party are idling infront of a clearly hostile thing I'll just have it attack one of them then go into intiative. Tends to get them.to make decisions faster at crucial moments!
>>
>>53973525
>>53973556
>>53973485
I've been reading other systems and they very clearly break up story and combat time as separate which made me think.

Basically you're granting free surprise rounds to anyone that has the foresight to say "I have a weapon ready", at the most I think it should be advantage on their first shot because they were prepared.

Otherwise they get a turn, then possibly get another entire turn before the hostile gets to react.
>>
>>53973485
Combat occurs as normal, except the Ranger and the Wizard both have readied actions that trigger directly at the start of initiative.

If they use them then they lose their action and reaction that round, but get to potentially act much quicker then their normal turn.
>>
>List of monster by location
>List of monster by CR level
>No list of monster by type
Did I miss a page? I want an area populated by a shitload of undead of various types and a list of all undead in the MM would be a ton of help, the dmg does it for those first two
>>
>>53973583
Yes it's a problem with D&D and the jarring nature of intiative that makes it feel like you're walking through the long grass in Pokémon and a battles triggered.
The problem obviously being that time between the party judging whether the NPC is something they're going to be fighting or not and them actually fighting.

Leading to
>I stab the goblin
>Sure roll intiative
>The goblin rolled higher and runs away into its cave before you can stab it.

>I cast sleep on the guards
>Sure roll intiative
>Rest of the party roll higher than you and kill all the guards on their turn.
>You now cast sleep, but all the guards are dead

I tend to want to reward players who are actively engaging and feel the above scenarios destroy player agency so err towards saying yes to it or as you suggested providing some bonus.
>>
>>53973485

You can take actions outside of combat, right? That includes readying an action. But also, like >>53973525 said, hooded man could have seen them readying for a fight and readied an action or started to dodge too.
>>
>>53973685
>Actions outside of combat

Technically you can't perform combat actions outside combat, readying an action is a combat action.

Making an ability check is not the same thing.
>>
File: 147226741.jpg (77KB, 661x495px) Image search: [Google]
147226741.jpg
77KB, 661x495px
>>53973676
>Combat occurs as normal, except the Ranger and the Wizard both have readied actions that trigger directly at the start of initiative.
>If they use them then they lose their action and reaction that round, but get to potentially act much quicker then their normal turn.

Seems like a fair compromise. They still get to act first but its in the first round.
>>
>>53973704
>Technically you can't perform combat actions outside combat

So you can't decide to swing your sword at someone unless the DM already declared combat and had you roll initiative?
>>
>>53973704
I suppose you could roll intiative as soon as the players ready their actions. Go round in intiative order but inform the players they obviously don't have to attack yet and can use their turn to talk/use skill checks as appropriate.

That way the readied actions aren't wasted if combat occurs, nor do they provide an unfair advantage either way but the players still get to have agency over the encounter.
>>
>>53973736
No as soon as you declare to swing your sword you roll intiative.
>>
>>53973704
>Technically you can't perform combat actions outside combat
>"I cast Detect Magic"
>"sorry, you need to be fighting something first"
>>
What kind of improvements would you make to SKT?
What classes are a good pick? Considering running it, but I need more info
>>
>>53973736
Unless you're getting some surprise round off you declare your action and we go to initiative.

>Conversation isn't going well
>Draw weapon to swing at him with your sword
>He sees you pull out this big longsword and gets ready to defend himself/run away, roll initiative.

Obviously this doesnt cover every situation, if a person doesn't see/hear you I'll give you a free attack then roll initiative. Or maybe your choice in weapon might make a difference (pulling out a dagger on the back of your belt is easier to do stealthily than drawing a greatsword) Maybe a dex check to draw it quietly and in a way that he won't notice

The DM's say is law and I can't give you a flat yes or no for questions like this because there are so many variables that I'll think of that it's hard to say "it works like this" for everything
>>
Mystic's how do you deal with them? What's their weakness? I feel like when someone gets hit by Psychic Crush or Psychic Blast it's pretty much done.
>>
>>53973744
Sometimes I tell my players we're going to be acting in initiative, especially for negotiations that could turn hostile.

If they're all shouting and have conflicting ideas get them to roll to determine their order and go around the table.
>>
>>53973983
By not allowing them in the first place. If you're concerned about balance don't allow UA in your game.
>>
>>53970998

I run my masterminds so far in the background *I'm* not sure who they might be, assuming they even actually exist to start with. But I have most of the villany done by named Lieutenants that the players can interact with, become irritated by, get murderously enraged at, and even kill. Losing a named bad guy isn't so bad when there's 19 more where they came from.
>>
>>53971633

Listen to this, it is wisdom.
>>
File: witch 2.pdf.jpg (64KB, 564x894px) Image search: [Google]
witch 2.pdf.jpg
64KB, 564x894px
>>53972832
The wizard in my party would have just fireballed the enemies and assumed the paladin would live, despite knowing the paladin probably has a 0 or -1 Dex Save. That wizard is totally me.
>>
File: thonk.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
thonk.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>53973983

>bind a mystic's arms and legs
>he can still use his powers
>cover his mouth
>he can still use his powers
>take away his foc--wait, he doesn't even have one because lolnocomponents
>>
>>53973983
> 8d8 at level 7 and 9
> done
???
>>
File: Psychic Crush.png (115KB, 700x278px) Image search: [Google]
Psychic Crush.png
115KB, 700x278px
>>53974038
Besides not allowing them, what would be the answer to this? I feel like I'm missing something here.
>>
>>53971706

This is the hell 5e is in right now. I blame Hasbro making the 5e team kiss DM ass with "the rules don't really matter" tweets all the time. It's okay to tweak things to suit your table, but for fucks sake give them and you something to build on.
>>
>>53974095
anti-magic field
cover him in a blanket something so he is in full cover.
>>
>>53972832

>be paladin
>be in the middle of a bunch of enemies
>Bard uses Thunderwave on all the enemies
>"lol sorry man"
>>
File: 1348625942015.png (489KB, 656x425px) Image search: [Google]
1348625942015.png
489KB, 656x425px
>>53971706
>You meet some new guy
>He finds out you DM
>Tells you he's played one game ever and wants to DM
>His friend gave him HoTDQ, he hasn't read the DMs guide or the PHB
>"What do you think about putting Strahd in the Dragon cult?"
>>
>>53974126
This suits the 5E designers though as they couldn't be bothered to create a complete rules set. Much easier if the community does it for you no matter how much of a cluster fuck it makes games.

I'm almost missing Pathfinder. At least it had rules for most any situation that could come up.
>>
>>53974108
What is your answer to 5th-level spell like Hold Monster, Dominate Person, Telekinesis?

Also stop using 1 big creatures? Also legendary resistance?
>>
>>53973983
>What's their weakness?
That's just it. In 99% of challenges or fights, it feels like having a Mystic would be better then having anyone else because they could do that person's role and other people's as well.

So far it and Loremaster are the only two UA I won't let anyone play without significant changes. In Mystic's case I've only had one player want to play one and he was an Avatar who only took Avatar powers and Psionic Weapon, so he was pretty well balanced.

>>53974108
Yeah. It does the same damage a Fireball would do at that level with the Stun effect as well. I'm more worried about being able to AoE stun before dropping some huge AoE with a DEX or STR save.

Notice that there's not many spells that stun in an AoE? That's because it's such a good fucking condition.

>>53974158
Not gonna lie dude, that sounds like a direct improvement to HotDQ.
>>
>>53973677
Use this, friend:
https://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>53974177

the thing he linked is a psychic damage fireball that also hits everyone in the blast with a mini hold person. Its also an intelligence save, meaning probably more likely for most enemies to fail
>>
>>53974165
You really should go back to /pgg/ with that attitude. 5e is design for fun,quick and adaptable not a freaking math homework simulator for autistic.
>>
>>53974177
Those don't hit in an AoE, the entire point is this thing inflicts a really powerful lock down condition with good damage in an AoE that targets a save most enemies don't have.
>>
>>53972286

Nah, it's not even unbalanced. It novas great but it gives up a lot of sustained damage to get there. The ability to crank out some one-round ass whuppins might be worth it but you're putting yourself behind on literally everything else to get it.
>>
>>53974108
>>53974181
It's only a 20 foot cube though, while fireball has a 20 foot radius which covers a much larger area
>>
>>53974165
>At least it had rules for most any situation that could come up.
That's exactly why I disliked 3.x/PF -- because there were rules for every situation, you end up either needing an encyclopedic knowledge of all possible situations or you spend half your time looking up obscure shit.
>>
If a lich pull the alignment change card from the deck of many things, what would happen?
>>
>>53973441

Honestly, I'm not sure that's worth a whole racial ability.
>>
>>53974256
This.

>>53974262
The range drop does not justify the stun + same damage to me.
>>
File: 319749024531873792.png (7KB, 74x96px) Image search: [Google]
319749024531873792.png
7KB, 74x96px
Players are traveling through the plains here soon. This type of area always makes me blank on encounter/hook ideas.

what the fuck do they run into guys? doesnt have to be combat but can be.
>>
>>53973450

There's a difference between bending a rule and letting the Fighter have smites because he prayed before a battle.
>>
>>53974305
Maybe it tries to redeem itself. Maybe it has a moment of shock and disgust at what its become/done that it an heroes.
>>
>>53974262
>>53974355
Also, the Mystic can do those AOE abilities about 3 times comfortably. The wizard can only do it 1 time.
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>53974355
>>53974108
>Wizard has X amount of useful damaging/utility spells
>Mystic gets one that rolls the same damage as a fireball at the same level with a possible stun
>This is somehow unbalanced
>>
>>53974361
Displacer beasts are fun.
>>
>>53974361
Plains are usually pretty good. Is it distant plains? High altitude? Plains right before/after a desert area?

You can make a tribe of plainsmen with bows and horses, a warren of kobolds or goblinoids underground, a gnoll camp. All sorts of stuff.

Otherwise plains can be a good place to put some kind of interesting encounter such as a gypsie caravan the players can stay at. Then after trading strange magic items for weird payments like 'your shadow' or 'a single day of your life'. Then when they get their cool items and ride away, they discover they are missing some other stuff. As per gypsie way.
>>
>>53974177
For reference of why Mystic is so powerful, it's that it does about the same damage and conditions as a Wizard yes, but a lot of the time it targets INT.

For reference of how big a deal targeting INT saves is, most ancient dragons are nearly always 9+ in every save... except they're lucky to have +3 INT saves. The fact Psionics targets such an otherwise useless stat so much of the time is honestly the thing that makes it just plain better then other control options.
>>
>>53974361
Bulette
>>
>>53974361
>plains
Centaurs.
If they're passing through it at night, maybe one of the smaller PC's will get nabbed by a dire owl and the others will have to rescue them.
>>
>>53974355
>>53974397
This, and also I think you're underestimating just how much less volume there is in a 20 foot cube than in a sphere with a 20 foot radius
Not that I'd allow Mystic in my game anyway
>>
>>53974427
Not to mention all the random beasts and monstrosities that have like 4 or 6 Int, as well as all the humanoids with 8 to 10 Int. Mystic Int targeting just cucks them all.
>>
>>53968265
It's called variant human for a reason. It's not allowed unless specified, so "banning" it isn't a thing.
>>
>>53974446
>you're underestimating just how much less volume there is in a 20 foot cube than in a sphere with a 20 foot radius

That also means it's a lot easier to position so none of your teammates are in the blast. In close quarters, with a lot of melee teammates, Fireball might prove to be unwieldy. Also, the fact that it's an intelligence save and a much better damage type cannot be stressed enough.

Basically it's
>better save
>better damage
>free stun

vs

>bigger area
>>
>>53974484
Exactly. I mean against Wizards, Vampires, Illithids and I'm sure a few other things Mystic's about in line with other people. Too much of the MM have shit for all INT though.

Honestly if they just move some of those options on to WIS saves and make the ones targeting INT less powerful then I'd be reasonably happy with most of it.
>>
>>53973485
Their target also readied an action.

So, everybody gets a shot off before combat begins.
>>
File: Thunder Clap.png (117KB, 646x300px) Image search: [Google]
Thunder Clap.png
117KB, 646x300px
>>53974446
Okay, fireball wins against Psychic Crush in range but nothing else (Same damage, better save, better damage type, AOE Stun until end of Mystics next turn). Compare it to this ability.
>>
>>53973485
No that's not how combat and initiative works. If it did every creature and PC would walk around "readying" an attack if something were to happen.
This is LITERALLY why you roll initiative, to see who's the most alert and quickest on the draw.
>>
>>53974586
I think it's worth something to reward players if their suspicions are correct. They thought the npc would attack them and he did. If they started doing it all the time even if they aren't suspicious then I'd start to disallow it.
>>
>>53974586
>If it did every creature and PC would walk around "readying" an attack if something were to happen.

you can only ready an attack for specific instances though. You can't just say "I ready an attack in case something happens and combat starts so I can go first"

Also being quickest on the draw isn't always about who has the best reflexes. If you shoot an enemy mid-sentence he shouldn't magically get to attack you first because the d20 said so.
>>
>>53974583
7 psi is equivalent to a 5th-level slot.

Granted, the stun is still ridiculous as fuck.
>>
File: 1337746975465.jpg (108KB, 1284x949px) Image search: [Google]
1337746975465.jpg
108KB, 1284x949px
>>53974712
>Interrupting the DMs speech with an arrow

This is how you don't get invited back anon.
>>
>>53974583
What the fuck is thunder damage
>>
>>53974757
It was sonic damage in 3.5e, changed to thunder damage in 4e.
>>
>>53974757

a damage type that a lot of spells in 5e have? Thunder Wave and Shatter, off the top of my head
>>
>>53974757
Sound/pressure damage. I.e. the roll of thunder.
>>
>>53974770
Oh. For some reason, I thought sonic damage was still a thing in 5e
>>
>>53974712
>If you shoot an enemy mid-sentence he shouldn't magically get to attack you first because the d20 said so.
Initiative doesn't start the moment the attack is mid-swing

>I want to swing at him with my longsword
>Ok you begin to draw your longsword, the hooded man stands up and prepares to protect himself. Roll initiative

>I want to shoot him with an arrow
>As you reach for the arrow in your quiver he kneels down a bit getting ready to avoid the shot, roll initiative

Initiative starts when hostile action first happens, not the moment the arrow is loosed from the bow or the sword is swung into the man's head
>>
>>53974808

If you start pulling your arrow out before he even reaches for a weapon, you'll have some kind of head start on him. Straight initiative doesn't reflect that.
>>
>>53974151
>be paladin
>in the middle of enemies
>sorcerer uses cone of cold on me
>'lol that's what you get for playing melee'
>>
>>53974894
>"lol that's what you get for playing melee"
>Start fights by throwing javelins
>Enemies run up to wizard and kill him because he's a squishy wizard
>Draw sword and go fight normally
>Maybe now you should stop aoeing me and I'll go back to keeping you alive
>>
>>53974875
>teh rulez dont make no sense lawl
I would literally kick you from the table the moment you had said "Actually I was already pulling out my arrow I have a head start".
>>
>>53974875
Then the DM grants advantage or disadvantage accordingly, or the DM uses the surprise round to give you and you alone an extra turn for having your weapon drawn before anyone else.

Or if he doesn't want to fuck with initiative, he can say something like the opponent stumbles backwards and falls over his chair in attempt to get away from the sword waving lunatic in front of him, and so he starts his first round prone.

The rules are there to supplement and support the narrative. If the DM wants to give you the advantage he'll find a way to give you the advantage that he thinks the narrative should give you (or that you've earned within the bounds of the narrative.) If he doesn't, tough, DM fiat.
>>
>>53974922
>>Enemies run up to wizard
>have to dash to get to him because he was more than 60 feet away
>maybe still don't get to him after dashing because he was 120 feet away
>wizard kills them/misty steps out/casts something that halts their advance

:^)
>>
>>53974933

the rules actually have surprise in them, so kill yourself. I fyou want to rules lawyer it, roll ini
>>
>>53974962

*roll initiative and just have a turn where the guy who wasn't ready can't do anything. wow, that changed everything
>>
>>53974977
>getting ready to avoid the shot
But he was ready, he saw you reaching for an arrow, with a bow drawn. He's not stupid and going to just go "wow I didn't think the guy focused on me with a weapon drawn and hand reaching for his quiver was gonna shoot me" Hostile intent given by 1 or more parties, with at least two sides aware of it, is the start of initiative.

If he couldn't see you, absolutely that's a surprise round which then goes to initiative.
>>
>>53967618

The pommel strike is sort of baked into Polearm Master, so it's shades of a different FH character, but otherwise it could work.
>>
>>53975040
>But he was ready, he saw you reaching for an arrow, with a bow drawn.

I guess it would depend on the scenario. If he's just standing there looking at you, he'd be ready. If he was occupied, doing something else, then even if he saw you he probably wouldn't be able to draw a weapon in time
>>
>>53974977
The cloaked man had prepared an action to attack you if he saw something suspicious.
What now?
>>
>>53973485
Why did he wear the hood?
>>
>>53975085
Sure, he knew combat was going to begin but since he doesn't have his weapon drawn and you were definitely more prepared to start the fight I might remove his dex modifier for his initiative, or maybe even give you advantage on your roll I don't know.

But a surprise round is specifically you engaging combat with an unaware enemy, he's far from unaware in this situation so it just goes to initiative
>>
Tiefling Battlerager with their racial feat that deals damage to people they grapple.

Is this a good idea?
>>
>>53973485
He was obviously waiting and ready to ambush them. If they hadn't been suspicious, I would grant him a surprise round to attack the PCs. Since they were paranoid, I'd take away the surprise round and have combat begin as normal.
>>
>>53963308

Not to complain, but this is a rather inconstant scan, as pages where converted to bitmap, and did not keep their proper resolution.

If you send me the high resolution images I can create a proper pdf.
>>
>>53975111
He was an unspeakable fish horror that cursed the first person to draw back the hood with a fear of the sea.
>>
>>53974952
>maybe still don't get to him after dashing because he was 120 feet away
I don't know what fucking game you are playing where your wizard is 120ft away from the monsters at the start of a battle. In most games, the party is grouped together or someone is away from the party and gets stabbed in the dick because the goblins sprung out of their hidey holes right under his feet
>>
>>53975277
>I don't know what fucking game you are playing
He's playing the "Situations are always perfect for the caster in my super special greentext story" game
>>
>>53975319
>>53975277
Nothing triggers me like players whining that their power fantasy gets interrupted for a second.
>>
Would you let a Bladelock summon two shortswords and let both count as pact weapons?
>>
>>53975420
I'd let them summon a fucking piano to hit people with if they have a good character backstory and theme/rp.
>>
>>53975420
I'd even let them bind one magic item and be able to summon two of it if they are one handed. They are playing a bladelock AND using TWF, they need all the help they can get
>>
File: 1498193406187.png (3MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1498193406187.png
3MB, 1440x900px
which feat should i choose for my divination wizard?
i was thinking alert or observant to give him the whole "seeing into the future" vibe but arcanist seems cool too with the bonus point and spells, plus arcanist is the one thing a wizard should always roll well on
my last choice is theologian for access to a divination spell that wizards cant normally get as well as an int bump and free cantrip
>>
How can I get my Wild Magic Sorceress killed next session? We're going to Cragmaw Castle at level 3. No spoilers please. I just wanna play a Warlock I just made and I don't wanna be rude and try to just swap out my character.
>>
>>53975635
LUCKY
U
C
K
Y
>>
So this is tangentially related but I'm having trouble remembering the name of a specific enemy; I think it was a Demilich or Lich that used to go around stealing other Liches bodies or corpses in general and then pretend to be a weaker Lich to lure in adventurers, then blast them to pieces. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, by chance?
>>
File: 1465637675902.jpg (17KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1465637675902.jpg
17KB, 720x405px
>have a large circle of friends
>everyone fairly interested in pen and paper rpg's
>must have had over 8 campaigns at this point
>with a variety of GM's and a variety of systems
>no one has made a campaign last over 3 sessions
>>
Can you draw as many Darts as you want?
>>
>>53975551
>>53975486
That's about the reaction I expected. Plan to do a level in Fighter because I'm going for Ravenlock and won't have any decent armour.
>>
>>53975748
Acererak, maybe. Sounds like the shenanigans he might have gotten up to in Return To The Tomb of Horrors
>>
>>53975851
Ask your DM nicely :^) (you can't throw more than 1 per turn unless you have the dual wielder feat, which makes it 2.)
>>
>>53975802
Run a full dungeon delve out of Tales of the Yawning Portal?

Those things last a while, especially if the PCs are completionists. Sunless Citadel into Forge of Fury should be good.
>>
>>53975722
that one does look cool but i think my dm would get pissed if im re-rolling all of his rolls 5 times a game
maybe human determination?
>>
>>53975919
I don't think it was Acererak. The only other thing I can remember is the Lich/Demilich in question had 'shadowy snakes' in their presence around it's head I think.
>>
File: Lucky Divination Wizards.png (531KB, 1078x729px) Image search: [Google]
Lucky Divination Wizards.png
531KB, 1078x729px
>>53975963
Divination is used before anyone rolls, btw.

Useful, because it can stack with Lucky re rolls.

Just in case you are not using it properly, if not continue with your day.
>>
>>53975691
Tell your DM you don't feel your Wild Magic has been wild enough and request that he roll on the table after every spell cast you do this session, then cast a spell every round.
>>
>>53975995
You're going to have to give us more information. What setting?
>>
>>53976035
I don't remember, at all. It might have been Forgotten Realms but it also might not have been. Not very helpful at all. It's driving me mad because I'm in a plot at the moment with a Demilich doing something very similar and my own Lich is looking to find out who it is. Might be the same character, but since it's in Planescape it's not setting-specific anymore.
>>
>>53976054
It could be Larlock the Shadow King, he has a bunch of liches under his heel.
>>
How am I supposed to build a Stone sorcerer?
>>
Thinking of playing an original Favored Soul gish.

Planning to take the Protection or Life domain and use a Longbow for my main weapon, probably human so I can get Sharpshooter.
>>
>>53976195
Definitely wasn't Larloch. It was a Demilich that went around pretending to be a Lich, stealing bodies of lesser Liches and chumping parties that came for it and wrongly assumed it was a Lich.
>>
>>53976027
I suppose that is the best way to do this. He lets me use spell points and mix them with my sorcery points. He also gave me a necklace that gives me more spell points. He also said that I can roll as many d20 as the spell level, plus one more if I enhance it. If I used Tides of Chaos, I roll only one and it's a 50/50 chance. Rolling a 10 or higher is a surge.

My DM is new to 5e and while I am as well, I spend a lot of my free time reading about it. I'll be dead soon if I'm casting a lot.
>>
Page 9 niggas
Id make the next one but on phone
>>
>>53976724
Same bro
>>
Saving us from Page 9 with a new thread

>>53976871
>>53976871
>>53976871
>>53976871
>>53976871
>>53976871
>>
>>53968092
You might want mage slayer or resilience in wis, lucky, and definitely great weapon master as feats to tighten up, but besides that you're a fucking terminator
>>
>>53972324
Pally 6 sorcerer 14 is still vastly superior. Still gets 9th levels lmao
>>
>>53973485
No thats dumb
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.