[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 430
Thread images: 38

File: Waymar Royce.jpg (422KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Waymar Royce.jpg
422KB, 1000x563px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
>>53809722

What do you think of latest revelations about mystic and artificer? Apparently, they'll get another revision soon (TM), after which they'll be AL legal.
>>
>>53815934
I like both as classes. Artificer should be easy enough to fix.

Mystic needs more then one patch before it's okay, has too many abilities to be able to catch every possible broken combo in 1 revision.
>>
Is it absolutely necessary to have a paladin and cleric in the party for Curse of Strahd?
>>
So I find myself liking the edge/fate mechanic of other systems, letting you reroll if you get a particularly catastrophic case of RNG. How overpowered would it be to give everyone (including notable NPCs, and possibly groups of enemies) 3 free rerolls per plot point/session? The player would have to reroll with the exact same modifiers as before, so if he had disadvantage, he'd reroll with disadvantage and ditto for advantage.

Thoughts? Anyone used anything like this in a D&D campaign?
>>
>>53815979
Depends on how bloodthirsty the DM runs Strahd
>>
>>53815979
Both? No. But you probably want at least one of them.
>>
>>53815986
Seems like Inspiration with a few tweaks. Should be fine if your players are down with it.
>>
>>53815994
>>53815996
What happens if no one plays one of those classes? Would the entire party be royally screwed?
>>
>>53816057
Inspiration is a shitty mechanic, it's basically rewarding players for something they should be doing anyway.
>>
>>53816064
There are other classes that get access to Daylight and radiant damage. I don't know about royally screwed but it would certainly not help.
>>
How does one build a twf strength battlemaster without it sucking. All UA allowed.
>>
Help me design a battle master /tg/ I was thinking of going with a Goliath. What weapons should I go with? What are the best maneuvers? Any feats I should look out for?
>>
>>53816064
It'll miss out on a few features, but far from screwed. There many an NPC out there that can be leveraged for assistance
>>
>>53816080
I suppose you're going to say Backgrounds are shit as well.
>>
>>53816087
Daylight spell does not provide Sunlight
>>
>>53816100
No, backgrounds are awesome, but you of course should be fine-tuning them to fit your character. If you've been living on the streets for your entire life, having some street smarts makes perfect sense.
>>
>>53816092
1. Pick Fighter Battlemaster
2. Put your highest stat in Strength
3. Get TWF fighting style
4. Get TWF feat

Done.
>>
>>53815986
my LGS lets you have one free re roll per session if you buy a drink or something. Everybody loves it.
>>
Is this Virtue cantrip strong for early levels, or is it just me?
>>
So I'm putting together a "trial and prosecution/defence" quest for my players after one of their favourite NPCs was murdered.

The person on trial is a spy, but he's being framed for the murder in order to provoke a war. I want there to be lots of evidence that he did do it, but enough evidence that it's a setup that the players will really be concerned that it's not as it appears.

However, so far most of my evidence just makes it really clear that it's all a ruse.

Can anyone suggest additional "clues" to his guilt I could add? Notes so far:

Marquetta has been killed, and Henentius Wit, a human who's lived in the city for years, has been accused of her murder, as he was the only one who stayed late at the Judge's Thrust that night, and was found with blood on his hands.

A search of his house revealed that he was a spy for Stromness, and the current charge is that Marquetta discovered his secret, and he killed her to silence her, before collapsing due to a poison she'd hit him with before perishing.

Guilty:
>Known to get rowdy when drunk - even if he weren't accused of being a spy, guards could believe that he would fight with someone.
>There's also a "witness", a bard who was in the bar most of the evening, and who left his lute in the Thrust by mistake. He was heading back to get it, when he heard Marquetta screaming "Henentius!" at which point he ran away to fetch the guards, who found him collapsed there with blood on his hands, and her with her neck broken and bleeding.

Not guilty clues to follow-
>>
>>53816141
Not Guilty:
>If he's questioned, he'll deny all knowledge of having done anything, though he'll reluctantly admit that he did wake up with blood on his hands. The last thing he remembers was discussing music with Marquetta after everyone else had left.

>If the locals are questioned, they'll say that everyone knew he was a spy, as he would say anything once he had a few drinks down him. Most treated him as a cheerful grandfather figure who sometimes needed help getting home. They express disbelief that he would murder anyone, and he was apparently on good terms with Marquetta as he put a lot of money into her business over the years.

>His house is old and creaky, with spiderwebs hanging about the place, and dusty wooden floors. Searching his "diary", which details his suspicion that Marquetta might be onto him, in increasing intensity, with the final entry noting that he'd have to deal with her. Insight reveals that the entire book was written at once, as the writing is all equally faded.

>Searching will reveal a loose board to the floor, beneath which is a series of letters and notes giving him his orders - almost exclusively from a "C", though there are one or two from an "A". One note is signed by him, dated a few days prior, giving a report on how "our friend" was getting increasingly aggressive with his tactics. Insight (if they don't work it out on their own) reveals that the handwriting isn't the same as in the diary.
>>
>>53816141
Add context clues, and motive.

Let the hard say that he sounded furious calling out for her, and that she had been hosting adventurers that openly bragged about killing his countrymen
>>
>>53816087
>>53816097
Cheers bros, I'll try to nudge my friends into playing at least one of those classes, up to them though.
>>
File: 1497489637206.webm (3MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1497489637206.webm
3MB, 426x426px
Are these rogues doing it right?
>>
File: 1497532115407.jpg (111KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1497532115407.jpg
111KB, 1252x1252px
I'm stupid. Say if a PC knows Giant, can they read Giant, or do they need to also know the Dwarvish script to read it? Obviously it's not written in Dwarvish, but in Sunless Citadel it says characters who know Goblin can read the graffiti on pillars only after translating the letters from Dwarvish.
>>
>>53816246
Devotion Paladin with a single dip in Undying Warlock can nearly carry the team
And atuning to holy symbol of Ravenkind, Sunsword and Rod of the Pact Keeper is not too shabby at all
>>
>>53816096
great sword with great weapon fighting has the best damage ouptut. You can re roll either of your 2d6 damage dies which is significant

Personally i like to do dueling with a versatile weapon because i'm a huge fan of grappling

I pick up the Magic Initiate feat for Hex. extra d6 damage per attack and they get disadvantage on being grappled. Synergizes very nicely with the trip maneuver, first attack trip, second attack grapple, and now you have them locked down in a prone position. They can't stand because they have 0 movement because they're grappled, and everyone gets adv against them, and they have dis adv to break free. I Dip 1 lvl of barbarian as well since the rage gives you advantage on strength checks as well. Plus Rage is awesome. Half damage from normal weapons makes you tanky af. Plus you get un armored defense, but honestly heavy armor is usually just better. Grappling is the best. so much battlefield control

As for maneuvers, Trip and Riposte are musts imo, trip for the grappling synergy and Riposte for the action economy. Then whatever you like. I think the Precision strike is pretty good, Goading strike is nice too if you need to peel for your team mates.
>>
Does a Goliath's "you count as a large creature when lifting or pushing" feature count for knocking creatures prone with shield master?
>>
>>53816110
Well obviously. I'm more thinking of how to meaningfully compete with Sharpshooter/GWM. Got a player at my table who really wants to play DW but is sad they feel useless, and I can't really think of a decent build. Which feats would be good?
>>
>>53816358
Absolutely, fuck anyone that says otherwise in the anus hole.
>>
>>53816141
A bloody leather glove belonging to the guilty guy.

And put an obvious hole in his alibi that they can prove is bullshit (he can be lying about what he was really doing for another reason) Like he says he went to hear a famous musician perform, but the musician had to cancel last minute, and hes lying because he was actually having an affair or something like that
>>
>>53816291
language proficiency implies the ability to speak read and write in that language.
>>
>>53816358
i dont think so. A shove is a specialized attack. Pushing or lifting i believe is referring to just moving things around.
>>
>>53816110
>>53816376
Get a horse TWF with lances
>>
What is the drug of choice for each class?
>>
Would a ranger/warlock volley+eldritch smite build work or does it take to much to be worthwhile, do i need 3 or 5 levels in warlock to take the new eldritch smite if i already have 11 in ranger?
>>
>>53816096
Polearm Master, Max STR, Great Weapon Master

Use a Glaive.

Both GWF and Defense fighting styles work.

Maneuvers you want:
Precision
Riposte
Trip

Rest up to you but those are the best.

No frills, tried and true optimized PAM Battle Master. Consider multiclassing into something else after 12 but you don't have to.
>>
>>53816192
>>53816387
I mean, he already has both motive listed (she was about to find out he was a spy) and literal blood on his hands while he was definitively and by his own admission at the crime scene, but thanks.
>>
>>53816562
on the subject of battlemaster, could i green flame blade with sweep? and the end result?
>>
How does the dark stalker ranger compare to the scout rogue?
>>
>>53816291
Giant is an interesting example, as Volo's Guide talks about how most of their writing is done in mural form, rather than written. A player should be able to read either of those.

As for the Sunless Citadel, the same applies. The writers were just trying to emphasize that Goblin is written in the Dwarvish script, so from a distance a dwarf might see some graffiti written on a pillar, but then he gets up close and its gibberish to him.
>>
>>53816747
Nothing. All Sweep does is deal supdie damage to a nearby creature if your attack roll would beat their AC. It's not a hit or an attack in itself.
>>
>>53816291
While it's always possible for a character to say they "only know spoken _______", having a language implies the ability to read and write it. With languages based on Dethek (the Dwarven script's name), like Giant, this means they can read Dethek runes.

It doesn't mean that they can speak Dwarven, though. English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch--they all use the Latin script, but there are a few uncommon characters and the only way you'll recognize a word in one language without prior experience is if it's linguistically related to yours, which Dwarven and Giant aren't beyond sharing a script. It would be like being able to read Japanese kanji or Cyrillic letters and say its words out loud, but having no idea what the fuck they mean.

Here's a brain tickler for you:
Giants are an ancient race in Forgotten Realms. They had a powerful civilization and warred with other races for thousands of years before the birth of any significant human nation. What the fuck were they doing for language before Dwarves showed up? They just popped into existence one day, relatively recently in the planet's lifespan.
>>
>>53816376
>how to meaningfully compete with Sharpshooter/GWM
That's close to impossible, those two feats are king dick of damage. Hell, the PAM bonus action attack is a better "two-handed" option than TWF because you don't need to take the fighting style can can take another instead.

Depending on how close to RAW you run your game, you can houserule a modification to the fighting style, as I'm sure your player has taken it. When they hit 11th level, they can make two attacks with the bonus action, provided they follow all the same rules.
>>
>>53816080
Rewards are used to incentivize behaviour you want. If you want players to kill monsters, give them xp for that. If you want them to play to their flaws, give them inspiration for that. Even if they would do it anyway, which isn't even guaranteed especially with new players.
>>
>>53816747
Maneuvers require that you make an attack, not that you take the Attack action.
Greenflame Blade is a spell cast that uses an attack as its somatic component, so you could attach a maneuver to it.
Sweeping GFB doesn't spread the fire around any more than usual. It's just another chunk of damage equal to your superiority die's roll to some secondary (or tertiary) target. It's really not a good maneuver unless your DM uses 4E-styled mooks.
>>
>>53817009

I allow UA on a case by case basis, and I use third party monsters. I try to stay as RAW as possible because I have some people who are filthy powergamers and anything too strong would just overshadow everything else. I've heard that two attacks houserule, and IIRC it maths out decently. Only thing I am worried about is that it might then overshadow the monk. Do I then give 3 attacks with Flurry of Blows and 2 with Martial Arts? Perhaps I shouldn't worry about it too much.
>>
>tfw DM never punishes ranged characters
>Never even tries to make them lose concentration, just constantly hits anyone in melee
>>
>>53816106
>have my DM
>have to roll for stats
>have to roll for background
>have to roll for personality traits
>have to roll for physical traits
>end up with a 24yo street urchin with 4 WIS and 8 CON, who would've normally frozen to death or gotten suckered into an organ harvesting scheme before the age of ten
>>
>>53817099
>tfw our Wizard eats a giant-thrown boulder twice every fight
>>
>>53816548
Fighter/barbarian-coke
Rogue-escasty
Warlock-Meth
Druid- DUDE. WEED.
Beyond that harder to say desu
>>
>>53817135

I hate DMs like that, it's not really fun to play useless characters, I only get to play once a month, I don't wanna play a walking RNG.
>>
>>53816548
Wizard is clearly something like Adderall.
>>
>>53817187
I agree. Minmaxing isn't fun either but being forced to play a melee character because your only stat above 12 is Strength isn't fun for anyone.
>>
>>53817183
Bard - Yes please
>>
>>53817183
Barbs do opiates. How do you think their damage resistance functions? They're just dinged out of their minds on painkillers.
>>
>>53817216
Min-Maxing can be fun if you're playing with strict limits, like Adventurer's League rules.

Min-Maxing + rolled stats is just asking for it.
>>
>>53817135
It's a mindset fit for OSR meatgrinder games, I love playing an inferior character for half a session before they die because they have -2 CON, but 5e very rarely does that kind of game.
>>
>>53817222
Barb- PCP. A gallon of it.
>>
>>53816995
Clearly dwarves actually use the Giant alphabet but it's referred to as the Dwarvern alphabet because they're a more widespread and common race
Tldr dwarf colonialism
>>
>>53817234
You realize that if you're trying to replicate older games under OSR, especially D&D, you're emulating a system where character stats WEREN'T as important, right? You could have fun with a Fighter whose highest stat is 14 all the way to level 10 or beyond, but good luck doing that in 3E-5E.
>>
>>53817257
But we know that's crap because Giants have kanji and Dwarves don't know what the fuck it means. The Giant-specific runes, like the Ise and Blud shit you'll find in SKT, aren't of Dwarven origin or this supposed Dwarven theft.
>giants are just fucking weebs
>>
Why is there such an aversion from playing characters past level 12? Do player characters really get so strong its not fun to play anymore?
>>
>>53817265
Yeah hence why I said 5e rarely does that kind of game, i.e. it's barely able to do it with the perfect gm and houserules.
>>
Barbarian: PCP or bath salts
Bard: Molly
Wizard: meth
Warlock: DMT
Druid: weed or ayahuasca
Sorceror: acid
>>
>>53817251
A...a whole gallon, huh?
>>
>>53817349
Why are we comparing classes to degenerate substances?
>>
File: 1456234350538.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456234350538.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>53817349
>>
>>53817362
>Bard: Molly
>Wizard: meth
>Warlock: DMT
>Druid: weed or ayahuasca
>Sorceror: acid

See >>53816548
>>
>>53817300
Wizards become campaign breaking after 12 if allowed to freely pick and use >6th level spells, but other than that there's no problem with playing past 12. Some classes get a bit boring if they don't multiclass I guess.

Any mention you see disparaging higher levels has more to do with the "campaigns don't get that far" meme than people actively avoiding them.
>>
>>53816080
Modern players are unfortunately entitled shit bags and need in game bonuses to do things like roleplay.
>>
>>53816562
Thanks amigo, what would you suggest MCing into?
>>
>>53817397
I was hoping it was something like that. Thanks for the reply.
>>
File: 1497124916997.jpg (60KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497124916997.jpg
60KB, 600x800px
>>53816100
Backgrounds ARE shit, though. They're an extra layer of bullshit Wizards added to make up for the fact that you can no longer have "cross class" skills. Whereas before you could make your background work by taking skills to match that. Now you have to pick from regenerated backgrounds, or else make up your own, when before it was just a normal part of chargen. But no, wizards had to add them to compensate for shitty design and also to "make" you think more about your characters background which a good player does anyway. So, background is really only a mechanic for shitty players. Sorry.
>>
>>53817397
My group kinda did an E11 type thing where extra levels gained kept giving you your relevant features, but casters didn't learn new spells at 6 or higher. They got more slots as usual and you could upcast, say, Fireball using a level 7 slot, but you never got to cast Time Stop or anything unless it was from an item.

It went well, but probably only because our Wizard and Cleric players are both very uncreative and not keen to abuse things. You can more than derail a campaign with just level 5 spells if you wanted to and the DM doesn't curb their RAW effects.

It's a shame, because some of the later leveled features are very nice for classes. I kinda feel like just giving the 13-19 stuff to PCs at some sub-10 level.
>>
>>53817453
I'm just going to assume this is bait and not engage.
>>
>>53817328
>literally a 5% difference in ability score bonuses between 5th edition and OSR games
>"5e doesn't work for this kind of gameplay"

Powergamers, everyone.
>>
>>53817421

Not OP, but honestly a 20th level fighter is still good, 4 attacks is one of the best capstones. One thing you can take is levels in Paladin if you're decent Charisma (for Smites + Aura), Warlock(Armor of Agathys, Hex), Barbarian maybe for at will advantage and Rage, but not as good as Lock...

Cleric can be decent for a 1 level dip (to get Bless & Guidance). War Cleric is decent.
>>
>>53817493
>I can't form a counter argument so I'll ignore what he said

Backgrounds ARE completely redundant and add nothing that you couldn't also do in previous editions of D&D, except also with far more choice than backgrounds allow.

That is the truth. Deal with it.
>>
>>53817385
Daily reminder that Hitler and much of the SS were on meth
>>
>>53817555
I'm talking about meatgrinder games, where you want fast character creation so you often just roll for everything and don't put much thought into the backstory or try to make it cohesive, because they're going to die before the next session anyway. Rolling stats works in 5e, I'm just saying that meatgrinder dungeon crawling OD&D-style campaigns are not really supported by 5e's rules.

>>53817577
You can custom make backgrounds by RAW you retard.
>>
>>53817516
>Don't lie to yourself, you're a minmaxer, and you can't handle a DM who calls you out on your bullshit. Quit the game you worthless fuck. Maybe if you look really hard you'll find a DM who will let you play your trans-nigger otherkin bisexual kitsune warlock/sorcerer.

>Wanting a stat higher than +1 is minmaxy.
Wew lad. I always wanted to play as a useless piece of shit in my games who can't hit anything and gets killed by a small breeze.
>>
>>53817421
You can go Warlock to get some utility, either Tome for more cantrips or Blade for smites with the UA invocation. Warlock also offers the excellent Devil's Sight + Darkness combo.

2 levels of Barbarian gives you Reckless Attack, and 3 gives you Bear Totem, but you can't rage while in Heavy Armor so you'd need 14 DEX to make rage/totem with Medium.

Other classes don't synergize as well, and combine better with Fighter when you're dipping a few into them rather than the other way around.
>>
>>53817590
>meatgrinder dungeon crawling OD&D-style campaigns are not really supported by 5e's rules

Sure they are. How aren't they?
>>
>>53817590
>You can custom make backgrounds by RAW you retard.
This. Change any existing background or make your own entirely. The whole system may as well be "pick any two other skills you want".
>>
Quite new to ttrpg's in general, especially 5e.

I do enjoy playing a character more than the exercising the mechanical aspects of it. If i just want to make a swordsman who is incredibly effective at combat, gets in there and hits hard, would I go Fighter?

If so, what subclass?
>>
>>53817601
>useless piece of shit in my games who can't hit anything and gets killed by a small breeze.

Eccept In 're you can easily hit those things even with a +1 in your attack t. It's literally a 5 to 10 percent difference. It's not even noticeable until you get to level 3 or so and have played for a while. I bet if you played an entire campaign with your stats hidden from you, you wouldn't even be able to tell the fucking difference.
>>
>>53817625
>>53817590
>You can custom make backgrounds by RAW you retard.

And in older editions I didn't even have to because i could just pick whatever skills I want and have my background be whatever i want instead of having to make up a name for it and shit. Backgrounds add nothing to the game.
>>
What does 5eg think of this homebrew. It seems a little OP, especially with the Daywalker loophole for the Sunlight Sensitivity
>>
>>53817639
Yeah, hitting is fine, but having 3hp per level with a -3 con isn't. Low saves and defences hurt.
>>
>>53817627
>quite new to RPGs
>says things like "I do enjoy playing a character more than the exercising the mechanical aspects of it."

Uhhh
>>
File: Victarion Greyjoy.jpg (2MB, 900x1305px) Image search: [Google]
Victarion Greyjoy.jpg
2MB, 900x1305px
>>53817627
Fighter, barbarian, paladin, monk AND rogue are all valid classes.
Fighter with Battlemaster or Samurai sublcasses is probably a good fit for a blademaster. If samurai isn't weaboo enough for you, there's also Kensei Monk.
Barbarian hits really hard - reckless attack makes for some good synergy with Great Weapon Master. Take that greatsword and decapitate people! Make sure not to take berserker, though, it's crap.
Swashbuckler rogue is also a swordmaster, but an agile kind, with a rapier. With swashbuckler, you don't actually need to do anything sneaky to make a sneak attack, so you'll really fuck people up in duels.
>>
>>53817669
Again with the 5 percent shit. The only valid point you have is with the hit points and that's because d&d's hit dice mechanic is very badly designed. Also you can still run the character you just need to be more cautious. Oh no! Actual danger to my pc so I can't just charge in like a retard with no tactics? Whatever shall I do?
>>
>>53817300
>>53817397
Spells get a very different role, my GM hates it when we can just nullify a puzzle or encounter by using a spell and so if you want the kind of experience lower level play gives, it's not a good fit for that. The disparity between casters and non-casters also becomes more noticeable, as before they just had more options and more utility now they are extremely powerful with reality-bending spells while martials get another attack or similar. Already at level 4-5 spells they are very powerful even if they can't be abused to the same level as clone, magic jar, simalcrum etc.

Once you do get high enough for that stuff, the game kind of breaks and not only do you have very powerful PCs with their spells and maybe certain other features, but there are very few monsters of that level so you have to homebrew/find some sketchy homebrew online (which most don't want to do), and combat works very differently. Especially level ~17+ as far as I know the one who wins initiative pretty much wins the encounter, it's so different and random and doesn't really work well mechanically. A boss fight at that level will likely be anticlimactically weak, dull or near instant TPK. Moon druid level 20 can solo a tarrasque, ancient red dragons and maybe even tiamat and shit. It's just so horribly unbalanced.
>>
>>53817627
Made a Paladin, and my GM pulled a CoS on us. So I have it pretty gud right now.

I am close to 3, and have to pick my Oath soon.

Devotion or Ancients? In general, I feel like the spells look more enticing on ancients, but the channel divinity seems very bad on the ancients - natures wrath allowing strength OR dexterity seems like a massive weakness, and I can't actually see this ever being all that useful.

Magic resistance seems very good, especially when I know Strahd is a caster. Charm immunity doesnt sound half bas either, but as I am an Elf, and has advantage on charm saves, AND a Paladin, by level 6 it will be very difficult to charm me anyway.

Sacred weapon looks really good though, and it almost seems too good to pass up... turn unholy is also useful, where's I don't believe turn the faithless will do me much good.

Thoughts or advise?
>>
>>53817737
>>53817627
Sorry, quoted by accident.
>>
File: paladin.jpg (127KB, 736x1108px) Image search: [Google]
paladin.jpg
127KB, 736x1108px
>>53817710
Oh, totally forgot about paladin. Paladin is your noble knight, who hits really, really hard. You see, he can decide whether or not to apply Smites after he sees the results of his attack roll, and his smite dice multiply on crit.
Paladin of vengeance is the most offensive of his oaths, with powerful features and a robust spellbook.
>>
>>53817687
new to tabletops at least, i irl larp, play vidya, and do theater shit

i like getting into character and dont wanna be bogged down heavily with mechanics, so i was directed away from a different edition by a friend.
>>
>>53817737
Devotion is probably better for CoS. There is a LOT of things to turn in this campaign, and while there are spellcasters, they are not that serious of a threat.
Unless your DM massively buffs a certain baddie in Vallaki, like I did.
>>
>>53817627
Fighter works. Pick Battle Master and for your Maneuvers get Precision Attack (which you use when it's a close miss) and Riposte (to punish misses against you if you haven't otherwise spent your Reaction).

2h Greatsword and Longsword+Shield both work. One takes Great Weapon Fighting style and the other takes Dueling. 2h is more offensive, naturally, with lower AC. The Great Weapon Master feat works very well with Battle Master's Precision, but otherwise you just boost your Strength.

There's also Barbarian if you want to be the most effective thing at low levels (they fall off at level 11 compared to Fighters). They only have two abilities of note you'd be using in combat: Rage, which you can only use a couple times per day, buffs you up but forces you to home in and attack enemies every single round, and Reckless Attack, which you'll be using as default with all your attacks. Use a greatsword here.

Either way you have various abilities you need to keep track of for your benefit, but in terms of actions you'll be taking, it's just walk up to enemy and hit with weapon.

If that is still too much for you, then play a Champion if you want to have even less decisions.
>>
>>53817609
Would you recommend going the remaining 8 levels in warlock or just doing a dip?
>>
>>53817803
again, not op, but only go like 3 or 4 levels imo. not worth going more. I'd still say ftr 20 is better. You can even grab magic initiate.
>>
>>53816751
I meant deep stalker vs scout.
>>
Can thieves be lawful neutral?
>>
>>53817803
You only need 3 levels for Devil's Sight + Darkness. More than that, well, you're already giving up your Fighter capstone for the dip so it's your call whether you want more feats and the extra use of Action Surge (that would come online at 20) or going up Warlock for invocations and higher level spells.

This is all kind of campaign dependent, with what abilities are more useful and how far in the leveling track you expect to go (and if you will even play past 20).
>>
>>53817929
Yes
>>
>>53817929
Of course.
>>
>>53817929
Sure. Give the character some code they live by where they only steal from those who "deserve" it (i.e., basically just make a Robin Hood or Omar-type character).
>>
I think it's probably in our best interests to forget the 8 dex wizard.
>>
>>53817929
If you mean the archetype, yes.
If you mean by profession, they'd be repo men.
>>
I'm new to role playing. What sort of annotations should I be taking during the game? I figured I should write down the name of NPCs, events, quests, objects I find and points of interest related to the narrative. Anything else I am missing?
>>
>>53818151
Somebody on /tg/ once mentioned keeping an in-character journal. Might help you get in character.
>>
>>53818173
Good idea. Perhaps tracking food, ammunition and potions would be useful, as well.
>>
>>53818151
>Taking notes
Do people actually do this?
>>
>>53818264
I write down shit like other character names since I can't be arsed to remember them myself.
>>
>>53817725
I guess what makes higher levels so appealing is also what makes it broken.
>>
Does anyone have that long ass list of heroic fantasy Fighters and their deeds, like Lancelot, Gilgamesh, Hercules and so on?

I have a fighter friend that needs upliftibg
>>
>>53817661
>And in older editions I didn't even have to because i could just pick whatever skills I want and have my background be whatever i want instead of having to make up a name for it and shit. Backgrounds add nothing to the game.
nor do they take anything away, you autistic fuck.
>>
>>53818355
Seconding the request
>>
>>53818377
He's a namefag, of course he's a moron.
>>
>>53818440
i didn't even see that, good catch. Namefaqs are a cancer.
>>
>>53818421
Yeah they basically get stick swinging depression syndrome
>>
>DM is giving a free feat, meaning that V humans get 2 free feats
>pick rogue, 16 dex
>choose Stealthy and quick fingers from UA feats
>18 dex at level 1 with double prof bonus on stealth and sleight of hands
I can be a sneaky beaky.
>>
What about completely removing racial bonuses and instead give everyone the v.human bonus?
>>
>>53819235
High power campaign or what?

You could also be an elf and get 18 dex. You'd only get one set of double prof though.
>>
>>53819235
>feats

this reminds me, with the new content WotC is putting out, are they releasing NEW feats/subclasses or just making UA stuff official?

Or a mixture?
>>
>>53819235
Allowing variant human while giving everyone a feat is pretty stupid
>Sharpshooter and crossbow expert
>2d6+26 damage at level 1
>>
>>53819343
>High power campaign
Honestly I have no idea. I juse want to be good at sneaking and disarming/stealing things.
I've never played a rogue before. Especially since my DM loves traps.
>>
>>53819355
It's wotc, probably just UA stuff with last minute changes that weren't actually tested.
>>
>>53819235
What's the point of allowing VHuman with free feats?
>>
>>53819382
Isn't sharpshooter a seperate martial archetype?
>>
>>53819355
It's 100% going to have UA, although it might be slightly changed. Haven't heard them say anything about things that aren't in UA, but it doesn't mean there won't be.
The UA's that have been reworked are probably more likely to be in, like Kensei
>>
>>53816548
Barbarian: Hard liquor
Fighter: Beer and Cocaine
Cleric: Spiked holy water. Spiked with what depends on the domain
Druid: Weed and every hallucinogen
Warlock: Meth, maybe DMT or heroin
Sorcerer: LSD and mushrooms, no doubt
Wizard: Caffeine pills and Adderall
Ranger: Former opiate addict that chews on fresh kratom leaves
Rogue: Everything
>>
>>53819382
PAM+GWM would be better wouldn't it? 1d4+1d10+20+6. Not sure quite how the best crossbow expert build goes but I thought that feat was generally not worth taking compared to other weapon feats?
>>
>>53819431
What's the point of disallowing it?
>>
>>53816548
Barbarian: Bath Salts
Paladin: Justice.
>>
>>53819516
Not letting a race start with 2 feats, as the point of having free feats is that every race gets one?
>>
>>53819473
Crossbow expert means you get an extra attack with a hand crossbow as a bonus action.
1d4+1d10+20+6 is slightly more damage because you can reroll, but crossbow expert means you can get archery for +2 to attacks
>>
>>53819534
What's wrong with two feats?

The problem with variant human in the first place is that it's used to grab compulsory feats that shouldn't have existed anyway, and you never really have more than one or two compulsory feats on a class.

The point of giving everyone a feat is for customizability, and in this case you use variant human to grab a compulsory feat and then have a spare feat for customization.
>>
>>53819540
Yeah archery style is really good, though PAM also gets the OA when someone enters your reach, and may scale better since they both synergize with another feat, sentinel.
>>
>>53819427
You might want to tell him that liking traps is gay.
>>
>>53817777
Play champion fighter or barbarian, they boil down to "I rage and attack" and "I action surge and attack"
>>
>>53817777
Play wizard, you can end every encounter in one turn, ensuring you can spend the rest of the session pontificating.
>>
>>53819449
Sharpshooter is also a PHB feat.
>>
>>53816548
Paladin: Cocaine
Fighter: Krokodil
Barbarian: Bath salts
Monk: Jenkem
>>
Do you think that the reason most of the adventure modules have a campaign name and an adventure name means that they intend to revisit previous adventures once they have made enough new ones? I would kill for some more in the Return to Ravenloft series that deal with other realms of dread and other dark lords. Even just a book about the setting would be nice.
>>
>>53819910
>Monk: Jenkem

Monk is obviously Opium.

Druids: Shrooms
>>
>>53816548
>Fighter : Caffeine
>Barbarian : Metabolic Steroids
>Rogue : Smoking tobacco
>Monk : Alcohol
>Paladin : PCP
>Sorcerer : Heroin
>Ranger : Chewing Tobacco
>Wizard : LSD
>Druid : Weed
>Warlock : Shrooms
>Bard : Any combination of any 3 above
>>
>>53820182
>Cleric : Angel Dust
>>
>>53816548
>Barbarian: Whey and Protein Suppliments
>Monk: Inner peace
>Druid: Literally a hippie
>>
>>53817555
A 5e character is much more powerful than a OD&D one of the same level. The stats don't mean the same thing, the bonuses you get from them in 5e are much more significant. The hit dice for wizards and rogues are better, wizards get far more spell selection, and class features are much more abundant and prominent. And although magical items are optional, official content has them start appearing at low-to-mid level.
>>
File: 1482626345196.jpg (924KB, 1152x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1482626345196.jpg
924KB, 1152x1144px
>>53815934
>STR determines damage with weapons and cantrips
>DEX determines accuracy with weapons and cantrips, and sometimes AC (depending on armour worn)
>CON determines hit points and the effectiveness of healing abilities (spells, hit dice, etc).
>INT determines total spells/maneuvers known
>WIS determines save DC of non-attack, non-cantrip abilities, plus starting Inspiration per long rest
>CHA determines then number of uses of class features (both short and long rest)
>A spellcaster with high physical stats relies on powerful and accurate at-will attacks, plus exceptional durability, but has fewer and less effective spells.
>A martial character with high mental stats relies on a variety of highly effective combat tricks and class features to shore up their less impressive baseline combat ability
I'm certain people will hate this but I'll just throw this out here anyway.
>>
>>53818264
I take notes for plot related stuff. Is that weird?
>>
>>53820442
>let's make high stats even better and low stats even worse
>let's also make everyone MAD as fuck
Doing this would require a complete rework of the system in order to be balanced
>>
File: IMG_20170104_232308_580.jpg (84KB, 1599x890px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170104_232308_580.jpg
84KB, 1599x890px
>come up with a potion called "rockjaw potion"
>lets the user chew through anything
>haha this'll be fun they'll get stuck in a prison or something and-
>wizard lands confusion spell on a dragon
>paladin drinks the potion
>dragon immobilized
>paladin eats his way through the fucking dragon
I have made a grave mistake as a DM
>>
>>53820646
Wheres the mistake?
>>
>>53820442
>Pauldrons on the bottom pic
Warcraft was a mistake
>>
>>53820646
In 6 seconds? Dragons are pretty fucking big
>>
>>53820646
what If I try to chew through the enchantment that lets me chew through anything
>>
>>53820558
>implying that characters shouldn't be penalized for having a low stat
>implying characters shouldn't be rewarded for investing in a stat regardless of their class
>implying these changes would take more than 2-3 hours to hammer out

>>53820703
I completely agree with you.
>>
>>53820725
Nothing
>>
>>53820687
They were one Wisdom saving throw success away from using the potion to eat my McGuffin, which is a Kraken egg, though they don't know it. I don't know *why* they wanted to do that, but it does raise an issue in that they can now break, like, anything I throw at them.
>>
>>53820707
The dragon was immobilized for several rounds because the Bard cursed him and gave him WIS disadvantage. It took the Paladin a while to get through a leg, then he climbed up its back and got a wing off so it couldn't snap out of it and fly away, then he ate its neck off.
>>
>>53820763
>roll for stats
>dude who gets 14 as his highest stat is now royally fucked
>guy who rolled nothing below 14 is now a god
>point buy
>everyone spreads themselves thin because stats are now a jumbled mess of correlated bonuses that are universally significant
>standard array
>standard array is no longer viable
>>
>>53820795
>>53820830
How much of that potion do they have?
>>
>>53815986
3 times per session per player? way too much. If my players show up on time and are ready to play when the session starts, they get 1 reroll per person. People love using that shit on bad initiative rolls.
>>
>>53820646
Can a confused creature use legendary actions?
>>
I really hope you can reflect on this an try to get better you retard. I PM'd everyone in the group and they agreed you were that bad it's amazing.

Told them I was only going to put up with 10 more minutes of your lone wolf crap before I shot you in the head with a crossbow and they said that's fair.

It's not the world, it's you. Now go jerk off some Gnolls no one cares about.

This is for a full autism player who just ruined the group in 2 session, pretty sure he should be on here.
>>
>>53820795
1) Introduce enemies that would not be damaged by biting
2) Introduce monsters with poisonous or corrosive flesh so they damage themselves in a bite attack
3) Invent some long-term consequences for using the potion
4) The potion is rare. The PCs' exploits have started to become somewhat legendary and people want to steal it for themselves.
5) Just let them use it until it runs out / they get bored of doing the same thing every time and they can't find anymore.
>>
>>53818264
Of course I do. How else am I going to know who to stab?
>>
>>53821055

What uh...

How bad was this guy?
>>
>>53820977
3 doesn't feel too much when you're used to players with 7 edge in Shadowrun.
>>
>>53820830
>>53820795
>>53820646
>the party encounters a mad alchemist with a Bullseye Lantern of opening
>shines it at paladin
>potion bursts open (along with his armor, books, etc.)
>>
>>53821055
Tell him via PM. Bringing campaign drama to the thread is always a terrible idea. Just look at /pfg/'s clique circlejerk and tell me you want that in /5eg/
>>
>>53821088
He attacked a guard 3 times, spooked the captain of the guards horse and set a building on fire. Then wanted to sue the guard for being attacked.

We all decided session two we'd work things out and he spend 3 hours standing in a forest telling use to leave.

He said he doesn't believe PC's should die.

He was the fag arguing Psions should be Wisdom a few threads back.

He was the one with the shitty pathfinder psion homebrew crap that made no sense in 5e.
>>
>>53821126
If he responds I'm not gonna bother replying, don't worry. I blocked him because I insulted his deviantart crap and didn't want to be spammed after the game fell apart.
>>
>>53821129
>He was the fag arguing Psions should be Wisdom a few threads back.
Good riddance!
>>
>>53821151
Also if you were there any time someone talked about how hard it is to be a genius, or went on a fedora tier anti-god rant recently was him.

Me and another player thought that he couldn't possibly be real and that he must be a troll, so we did some snooping to find out how bad he really was.
>>
>>53821129
>PC's shouldn't die
>attacks the guard and commits arson expecting no repercussions

so he's a faggot who doesn't enjoy DnD, just power fantasy?

he sounds like the type of nigga to put on god mode in vidya at all times
>>
>>53820646
I mean, is determining a number of d8s of piercing damage to the "eat anything" potion's effect that hard? You act like you gave him 3 free uses of Wish.
>>
>>53820646
Whats the difference between 'I used my teeth to bite off its wing' and 'I use my magic sword to cut off its wing'?
>>
>>53821201
Can confirm. I was the Lizardfolk. We tried our best but he wouldn't budge because of his precious introvert gnoll. I got fed up and just left the group because of his shit.
>>
>>53821201
>>53821278
Oh my god, I can't wait until he shows up and starts ranting. It will be great.
>>
>>53820927
I think three more doses, which I may have to confiscate.

>>53820999
Not sure. If the dragon had had any charges to use, he would have just resisted the confusion attempt in the first place, though.
>>
>>53821129
Reminds me of a guy I played with 10 years ago
* He did the whole "chaotic stupid" thing unironically, including things like trying to burn down an orphanage for the hell of it
* He pulled out some psion crap and lied about what the book said, making his character OP
* When his character was killed in a freak accident (another PC hit him with friendly fire on a crit fumble or something like that), he raised such a hissyfit that the DM retroactively caused him to not die and my character got hit/killed instead.
>>
>>53821327
>He pulled out some psion crap
Well this guy was a Gnoll Mystic. A Nomad Mystic who literally had a Katana he had no proficiency for.

I like Psionics but this is why they have a bad name.
>>
>>53821302
Honestly he'll probably just rant about it on his deviantart like he always does without fail.
Thing is though I really wanted to give him a chance but even after the two of us and the fucking DM told him to work with the party he refused and spent 2 hours in a single spot being an unhelpful twat.
Granted I was about to walk and then I was convinced to come back he started being a massive cunt about me OOC and I just wouldn't have it.
Called me a 'That Guy' player too.
>>
>>53821353
>furry
>anime powers
>katana
>apparently kept trying to bring 3.pf into 5e with homebrew

a living, breathing stereotype
>>
>Dragonborn barbarian
>take the Dragon Wings UA feat
>take pike, glaive or halberd
>wail on chumps while staying out of reach
>>
>>53821391
Wow, anon, you must be a genius. I bet you are the first one to realize the tactical advantage of flying, and no table ever prepared for this by banning every winged race.
>>
>>53821385
I never thought someone could be this bad, I thought crap like this was all made up greentext. He really was though.

Teleports behind you psion katana bullshit.

Also he's not a furry, and felt the need to rant about how he's different to a furry in the group chat when no one called him one.
>>
File: 3 INT druid.jpg (72KB, 599x601px) Image search: [Google]
3 INT druid.jpg
72KB, 599x601px
Hey /5eg/ I'm an insufferable artfag perfectionist when it comes to making stuff for DMing. If I decided to run Lost Mines of Philadelphia as my first 5e campaign on Roll20 does it already have completed art assets for it or would I have to spend a month or two drawing my own like I do for my homebrews?
>>
>>53821422
you know, my group sorta complains about a "problem player" but this makes me feel humbled to have him in our presence
>>
>>53821422
That's exactly my thoughts when I met him and heard about his character. I thought these people only existed in myths to scare DMs out of letting random people play.
The other players were really chill and the DM was amazing, but it was just the one guy that made me walk.
>>
>>53821433
>Lost Mines of Philadelphia
Can I join your game? I want to be a halfling whose preferred weapon is D-cell batteries.
>>
There isn't a 3eg, so I'm posting this here. Does anyone have the adventure "The Sewers of Sumdall" that came with the D&D movie DVD?
>>
>>53820977
3 per session is way less potent than the lucky feat which gives you extra d20 regardless of previous roll, and it gives it 3/day. Giving a free feat to players isn't something unheard of, we in fact have an example of it having happened in this very thread.

So I'm not really seeing the issue, especially if the same is given to enemies.
>>
>>53821322
Legendary actions and Legendary resistance are different things
>>
>>53821470
There is /pfg/, most the people who play 3.5 should be there. There's also the PDF share thread, which on itself has links to a bunch of collections
>>
>>53821464
Only if you bring rum ham
>>
>>53821353
Jesus fucking Christ and I say this as a guy playing as a Nomad.
>>
>>53821573
Deal.
>>
File: thinking.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
53KB, 256x256px
>when one of your players tries to lie about what is written in the phb
>>
>>53821619
How do you know they weren't just mistaken?
>>
>>53821619
What was the lie, anon?

Did it hurt?
>>
>>53821632
>>53821634
>start of a new adventure
>everyone is level one
>one of the players attacks with his main action
>then says he is going to shield slam with his bonus action
>I tell him he can't do that as a bonus action, but he is adamant that he can
>it says right here dood
>points to the phb
>reiterate that it won't work and move on

The only thing in the phb which mentions that as a bonus action is the shield master feature, he was a level one dwarf fighter and could not have had that feature.
>>
>>53821682
I'd chalk it up to an honest misreading of the rules.
>>
File: bonfire.jpg (25KB, 637x342px) Image search: [Google]
bonfire.jpg
25KB, 637x342px
Making a short campaign where players respawn when they die. What are some options for things akin to a Bonfire from Dark Souls to use as checkpoints or respawn points? What are some consequences to add to death that are harsh but not overly so for a game where dying is rather likely?

Also I'll be giving all players a modified Revenant- something along the lines of

>Relentless Nature
>If you are not unconscious and have less than half of your HP at the start of your turn, you gain 1 hp. This effect does not occur if you took Acid, Fire, or Radiant damage this turn.
>If you are knocked unconscious, you automatically pass death saving throws and get up with 1 hp after passing 3.
>If you die, you revive 24 hours later at the last used not-bonfire or when another FEEBLE CURSED ONE spends a long rest preforming the Resurrection ritual at a not-bonfire.
>You do not require food, air, or sleep and gain the benefits of a short rest in 30 minutes and a long rest in 4 hours of light activity.*

*This is just to keep the campaign moving along quickly, if they decide to take a long rest in the middle of a dungeon there will still be consequences as normal. Players will not be told about their lack of needing food, sleep, or air- though the first two will likely become obvious as the game goes on.

The goal is to allow players to act a bit more recklessly and rest up quickly, as the campaign will be basically nothing but Deadly Encounters.
>>
>>53820873
>thinks character imbalance is a valid complaint when you're rolling randomly for stats
>thinks characters with decent stats all-around are somehow a 'jumbled mess' instead of what they realistically are, general all-rounders
>thinks attribute arrays are no longer viable because they make all characters excellent at a few things, average at a few others, and below average in one way
You sure are looking for ways to hate this, aren't you. Could you at least come up with some valid complaints and not memes?
>>
How does one run a planescape game?
>>
So far my group has a gem vengeance paladin as it's only Martial, I enjoy playing Frontline martials too so I was going to make either a PAM devotion pally or a Pam battle master to compliment him, which would you guys recommend?
>>
Do revenants decay like a normal undead would?
>>
>>53821870
>A sacrificial slab of Onyx or something they reform on, with [pc number] arranged in a circle
>they just straight up fall out of the sky there, complete with fall damage
>Something of a Schrodinger's Resurrection- they just appear and have no memory of it as soon as someone isn't looking directly at the respawn point like in that Sherlock Holmes meme game
>A gate to hell opens and they get kicked out by a Devil or something
>A warp rift of sorts where the barrier between worlds is thin, PCs tear through it via sheer willpower
>A marble Orouboros seal filled with sand or ashes, PCs dig out of it after death
>A perfectly still pool of blood, PCs rise from it like spooky vampires

>>53822065
Up to the DM. PC Revenants are different than MM ones, in that they don't have an "expiration date" and they respawn rather than find a new host on death/destruction.

Personally I run it as they look normal, but upon closer inspection they're really pale and cold to the touch, basically Vampires
>>
>>53822011
I wouldn't go with another paladin. If you want to go that route, go War or Tempest cleric. If you want to be more martial than a cleric, Barbarian, Fighter or Ranger
>>
File: 1497356988938.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1497356988938.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>miraculously make it through session one with no prepwork
>plan on commiting suicide before players start catching on next session
>>
>>53822136
Dont! Only you can be the hero your players need.
>>
>>53822215
Do it! Only you can be an hero your players need.
>>
Is there any reason to play a ranger?
I'd like to play a Deep stalker using the revised ranger for UA but so far they just seem sub-par compared to other classes. Any tips for how to build them?
>>
>>53822254
Watch it, that can get you arrested these days
>>
>>53821944
You're calculating damage, accuracy, number of usages of class features and class feature DCs as a separate stat for EACH of them. It's not a character being a "general all-rounder". What you're trying to do won't result in varied characters. None of the things you suggest encourage a varied build. People now have to strive to max 2 stats to achieve the same thing you could with a single maxed stat in the base game, plus another mid-to-high in order to make their maneuver/spell DC not garbage, and at least mid-con as always. In fact, bounded accuracy already achieves your goal of making everyone a "general all-rounder" in a far less stupid and convoluted way.
>>
>>53822265
Revised Ranger is really good.

So, yes. They deal quite a bit of damage, have useful AoE, light spellcasting, and gain advantages to initiative and travel.
>>
>>53822265
>Is there any reason to play a ranger?
Yes. You want to be a ranger.

Actual reason? you want to play a martial with some utility and AOE potential.
>>
>>53822265
nope
>>
>>53822265
Spike Growth murderfucking people.
>>
>>53822291
>>53822297
Should I go for duelist, ranged or TWF?
>>
>>53822314
what do you WANT to do?
>>
>>53822321
Two-weapon fighting, but I was under the impression it was kind of bad.
>>
>>53822332
very few things in this edition are so bad that you need to avoid it at all costs, the weapon styles are not one of those.
>>
>>53822332
Its not really bad. It gets pretty great with the feat.
>>
What's the difference between ranger and revised ranger?
>>
>>53822387
one is hot garbage and one is playable.
>>
>>53822401
Very helpful, thank you
>>
>>53822314
Ranged is always the best for rangers.

TWF is a barbarian/barbarogue thing unless your DM enables you.
>>
>>53822424
anytime.

all you REALLY need to know, though, is that even Wizards says to use the new one.
>>
>>53821870
An old woman with a spinning wheel lovingly knits their bones, muscles, and flush together in the blink of an eye. Out of old corpses.
>>
>>53822290
>One stat gives you more attack damage
>One stat gives you more attack accuracy
>One stat gives you more hit points
>One stat gives you more tactical options
>One stat makes those tactical options succeed more often
>One stat lets you use those options more often per rest
>Somehow all characters will be exactly the same
Because that makes sense.
>>
>>53822439
>tfw Drizzt sucks dick in this edition
>>
>>53822332
It gets overshadowed by the weapon feats other get, but it still works. Beast conclave probably works best with it because they never get extra attacks
>>
>>53822424
Put it this way, a kenku ranger in my group willingly sacrificed himself because ranger sucked so hard and he didn't want to play it anymore.
>>
>>53822442
I'm reading them side by side now, I can see the differences
>>
File: 1484673703197.jpg (29KB, 590x368px) Image search: [Google]
1484673703197.jpg
29KB, 590x368px
How is Primeval Guardian Ranger? Good or nah?

Big tree niggas are cool
>>
>>53822462
It's surprising that both TWF and the original Ranger both suck so much, when Drizzt is their poster-boy.
>>
>>53822387
Revised ranger gets advantage on initiative, +2-4 damage (based on level) against favored enemies, advantage on the first round of combat, ignore difficult terrain (this will never come up) and some action economy improvements for later level features that will probably never matter. It really isn't that much better than PHB ranger despite what autists screech here.

>>53822332
If you want to be a melee ranger dueling fighting style with a throwing weapon is the best mechanically, the +2 damage from dueling applies to melee and throw attacks. Two weapon fighting isn't as bad as people say it is, roughly 4 less damage per round than other options.
>>
Playing HOTDQ, funny moment here guys
>random gnome is with our caravan
>she walks up to us one day
>she uses her dagger to pull a bone out of our oatmeal
>says it will kill us if we eat it
>I bump into one of the cultists and give it to him
>1 in game week later
>cultist found dead, barbarian is hog tied
>>
>>53822601
Thanks for warning me about the funny moment beforehand, I might've choked on my noodles or something
>>
>>53820442
It's a mess. Having as many uses of bardic inspiration, rage, wild shape, action surge, etc. is ridiculous,
You're rewarding people for focusing on an even more specialized thing than before, so instead of being a wizard you'll be a wizard who doesn't have attack cantrips, a warlock will just have to give up on spells completely with so few uses of them since they need high str and dex to eldritch blast. Even if balanced, I don't see any way it improves the system on a larger basis than there technically not being dump stats because most classes can use each stat.
Most likely everyone will be weaker, because e.g. a wizard would need +5 wis and int to just have as good spells, and then +5 dex and str to use cantrips as well. At the same time, moon druids need a complete revamp because they would be even more OP.
On top of class-to-class balance, encounter balance will also be more fucked than ever before, CR is meaningless, multiclassing might open up broken combos, spell balance gets fucked as non-attack, non-save spells are much more reliable (like heat metal is just as strong), spellcasters that want to actually cast good spells get no at-will abilities worth using which is something this edition did WELL.

It's not that it's conceptually horrible, it's that it would take a shit ton of time and effort to implement without breaking everything. And a shit ton more time to make it work somewhat well.

As >>53820558 put it
>Doing this would require a complete rework of the system in order to be balanced
>>
How would you handle this?
Swashbuckler and Sorcerer get into a fight. Sorcerer cast Darkness.
Due to both of them not being able to see each other the advantage cancels out the disadvantage.
How would you describe the sneak attack if the Swashbuckler hit? Would you even give them sneak attack?
>>
>>53822681
A lucky shot?

Technically, since they don't have disadvantage due to that being canceled out, sneak attack should work RAW (and RAI).
>>
File: 1289528474189.png (2KB, 143x148px) Image search: [Google]
1289528474189.png
2KB, 143x148px
I wanted to add a werewolf quest in CoS because they're really underdeveloped.
I'm thinking of using a TW3 side quest, with the missing wife who is mauled to death by her werewolf husband. He remembers nothing of the sort and is searching for her.
The twist is, the wife's sister knew the guy is a werewolf, and led the wife to his secret cave on the night of the full moon, knowing he'd take the bait and maul her to death unwillingly, so they could be together.
Once the players defeat the werewolf, the sister barges in and stops them from killing him, and he reverts into human form. Then the sister spills all to take the blame and save the guy (and confess her love in the process) but that only makes him even more angry and he asks the players permission to kill her.
I know they'll struggle to make a decision.

Is it too cheesy? I'll add a lot of flavor in between, this is just the general idea.
>>
>>53822567
They also get advantage on spells and abilities by greater favoured enemies.
>>
>>53822737
Taken from The Witcher 3 there is a quest in which that happens.
>>
>>53822681
Rogues can't sneak attack if they have disadvantage at all.
>>
>>53822768
Yes, I said it's a TW3 side quest, but none of the players have played a witcher game.
>>
>>53822649
>It's a mess. Having as many uses of bardic inspiration, rage, wild shape, action surge, etc. is ridiculous
>You're rewarding people for focusing on an even more specialized thing than before
>Most likely everyone will be weaker, because e.g. a wizard would need +5 wis and int to just have as good spells
>...encounter balance will also be more fucked than ever before, CR is meaningless, multiclassing might open up broken combos...
Saying all of that without looking at the specific mechanics of how it would work is like reviewing a restaurant based only on how appealing you think the front cover of the menu is. But please, go on.
>>
>>53822447
5e's design does not accommodate for accuracy and damage being determined by 2 different stats. If you do not understand why you have no business trying to do big overhauls on the system, as it would require you to completely rewrite the way ability modifiers scale in order to work as intended.

You also seem to underestimate the amount of investment you would need to make "tactical options" work and be preferable to just hitting things in the way your class is meant to. You can just give all martials maneuvers, using the vanilla maneuver DC formula, and be done with it. Spells are already enough for caster classes unless you (again) rework the entire classes to encourage them to be gishes. How do you plan in making spell slots/spells know scale with level using this system? Are you ditching that entirely? Will they scale with charisma, as you appear to want maneuvers to do? What will you do with battlemaster?

Making your own would have better results than trying to hack 5e into it.
>>
>>53822773
Right, but the disadvantage is canceled out by the advantage.
>>
>>53822869
It's canceled out but you still count as having disadvantage. Having disadvantage at all cancels out sneak attack, and swash only ignores the need for advantage.
>>
>>53822923
So by that same nature, if I have advantage I should get Sneak Attack because rogues get sneak attack when they have advantage. Do you have some proof for this claim? Sage Advice or something?
>>
>>53822961
Doesn't the PHB also say you must not have disadvantage?
>>
>>53822961
>>53822980
You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet o f it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
>>
Any point in making a strength ranger?
>>
File: Advantage and Disadvantage.png (278KB, 700x184px) Image search: [Google]
Advantage and Disadvantage.png
278KB, 700x184px
>>53822980
Yes, it does, but you don't have disadvantage anymore because it's nullified out by the advantage.
>>
>>53822737
that is the best part about being a DM, anon

you can steal your favorite things as long as your players haven't consumed that media too.
>>
>>53823042
I (>>53822923) stand corrected then. My apologies.
>>
>>53823040
Do you want to use grappling and throwing or great weapons? If so yes, if not no.
>>
im having a small problem with other players in my group. the backstory is the army assigned a researcher to their team as they were being sent on a scouting mission against a little understood enemy (hence they needed someone reasonable knowledgeable to go along to make sense of what they found). my char secretly killed that researcher and assumed their identity, the party do not know this however the dm wanted me to play it out at the start of the session the new char joined, so the players saw it. the party chars have no reason to suspect me, and ive only ever nice, useful and friendly to the them (my char is actually evil but is pretending to be good)

however, theres a lot of meta hate for my char, by which i mean they act antagonistically and are untrusting even when it doesnt make sense for them to. how can i bring this up and fix it?
>>
>>53823159
Talk to them?

Literally just say this
>the party chars have no reason to suspect me, and ive only ever nice, useful and friendly to the them
>theres a lot of meta hate for my char, by which i mean they act antagonistically and are untrusting even when it doesnt make sense for them to.
that's all you have to say
>>
>>53823159
I'd start by not playing a "secrutly evul :DDD" character without talking it over with everyone else in the group first. Evil characters are just a liability 90% of the time.
>>
>>53823245
Depends on the evil. My last party had one person who was evil from the start and one person who started nominally chaotic good and quickly went to chaotic evil.

Chaotic evil character started murdering prostitutes.
Neutral evil who'd always been there was one of the most practical and amicable people in the party - the evil was just the fact that he wanted to kill his way up to being a god and then use his god powers to kill everything that ever lived, so nothing could ever kill him.

He was real scared of death.
>>
>>53823201
i have but they either disagree or say yeah i guess, but then keep doing it

>>53823245
like i said, im basically an undercover double agent. im perfectly helpful to the party, im just secretly using them to get me into hard to reach areas. im lawful evil so im not murder hobo
>>
>>53822810
The first sentence is based purely on speculation so you can ignore that. But a wizard would be weaker than before because they need more stats. Same with almost every other class.
I have no idea how it would make people not specialize even more, you already min-max because it's more effective, here you would just have to decide on what stats you actually need/want for your build before min-maxing. Most builds and classes would be more MAD, yes, but that doesn't mean they also won't have a narrower specialization.
CR is meaningless because the power levels of PCs is different.
Multiclassing might open up broken combos, though I couldn't think of any which is why I included "might".

I guess I should change my summary to:
>It's not that it's conceptually horrible, it's that it would take a shit ton of time and effort to flesh out all of the specific mechanics. Then a shit ton of time to implement it without breaking everything. And lastly a shit ton more time to make it work somewhat well.
>>
>>53823441
Tell your DM to tell the players that since they heard about it and can't stop playing out of character, he's retconning the whole story and you're no longer a spy, you're the original guy that was supposed to accompany them, because it was ruined.
But also tell him that it's not actually true.
>>
So... female Lizardfolk: Boobs, or no boobs? Is there cannon art?
>>
>>53823571
No live birth, so no boobs.
>>
>>53820707
He was very hungry.
>>
>>53823479
thats actually sounds like a good idea, wonder if it will work
>>
>>53823474
Nah, it's a failure conceptually and mechanically.

>>53822810
Understand the fucking system first, you autist, before you make sweeping changes to it.
>>
File: tercio.jpg (100KB, 564x809px) Image search: [Google]
tercio.jpg
100KB, 564x809px
>>53819464
>Fighter: Beer and Cocaine
Close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JruuMkV0gM
>>
>>53823571
They lay eggs, so no boobs.
In all likelihood they probably don't even have sex in the way we do.
>>
I'm working on magic item that would fit thematically with a small group of mages that are forced to use guerilla tactics, and I'm not sure how to make the item not just a strictly better version of True Strike (or if I should just not worry), and I'm not sure exactly what X/day would be reasonable to avoid that.

Spotters Glove
As an action the user may target an enemy and grant advantage to any ally within 5 ft of the user to hit the target until the start of the user's next turn.

The idea is that it's meant to be used in conjunction with a character capable of "sniping", and it was going to just be an item that allowed you to cast true strike, but the limit of 30ft and limiting it only to the caster kind of made that not work as well.

I'm considering changing it to "ally or self" and "until the end of the user's next turn" so it COULD be used by a single person. But that doesn't help when I'm not sure what X/day would be fair and allow it to be used, without limiting it to be a "we need to be careful and use this sparingly" thing. (I also just realised it might be a pretty powerful item and be used to grant the rogue sneak attack on everything, so I'll have to keep an eye out for that too.)
>>
>>53822783
Sure, go for it.
They're already poorer, nay, LESSER people for having not experienced that game, so you might as well enrich the festering pile of feces that is their lives.
>>
>>53822524, >>53822567
Honestly people coming on here from 3e and 4e have a massively warped idea of what is "bad" because of those editions, especially 3e.
In 5e bad means "not 100% optimized, may take a bit more damage and do a tiny bit less", not "completely useless" as it occasionally did in the theorycrafting exercises in prior editions.
>>
What's everyone use for custom character sheets? I can never find one I really like, and editing my own is a tremendous pain in the ass.
>>
>>53823798
I'm relatively certain you just described the Help action from the PHB.
>>
File: notenjoyingthis.png (548KB, 704x394px) Image search: [Google]
notenjoyingthis.png
548KB, 704x394px
>>53823897
>>
File: smugpipe.jpg (42KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
smugpipe.jpg
42KB, 720x340px
>>53823769
>have sex in the way we do.
>we
>>
Hey the fa/tg/uys, My best friend is running hoard of the dragon queen as his first try at DMing and to teach this stepson the game and i took the chance to roll my first warlock (old DM wouldn't allow them because they're "too satanic") and i need a rules clarification, if i take the Pact of the Blade and say my character uses a handaxe for thematic reasons (his patron is more or less a bipolar fae version of the Red Queen/Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland) and i took some sort of axe as his pact weapon. Would that "make a magical weapon your pact weapon" transform the magic weapon or just shunt it over so i'm using that? Would it make the +1 morningstar a +1 axe? One of my biggest pet peeves in a game is when you try to make a character with a favored weapon, not even anything exotic just something like an mace for a cleric or a ex-guardman with a halberd, but the game says "fuck you here's another generic magic longsword"
>>
>>53823975
Sorry fella, but not every D&D player is a virgin. Or even unwed in my case.
>>
>>53823892
the 5eg ones in the pastebin
>>
>>53824092
the magic weapon becomes bonded to you, like your pact weapon. So it "shunts it over", ie you lose your axe
>>
>>53824347
>>53824092
that said, your DM might be cool with you letting it keep your current weapon's form. It's worth asking.

I let my players reforge magic weapons. One found a magic greatsword, but everyone was duelist or protection style so I let them use some downtime reforge it with blacksmith proficiency into a battleaxe.
>>
I hate playing edgy, dark, and mysterious characters. Mostly because I play with a That guy who oversees the shit out of that theme and it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

What kind of backstories have you played for rogues that don't suck?
>>
>>53824386
Swashbuckling bravo with a foppish hat. Imagine a zoro style duelist. There are tons of ways you can play a rogue without being dark and edgy. Trust me my boi
>>
>>53824386
>>53824419
>There are tons of ways you can play a rogue without being dark and edgy.
it can be done, though sometimes it's difficult to justify why your character is so good at shanking some fucker in the kidneys.

But i'm not terribly imaginative either, so *shrugs*
>>
>>53824386
Suggestions:
Swashbuckler, indiana jones/treasure hunter, undercover agent, pistol-cowboy, sherlock holmes/detective, circus acrobat, thug, 'I tried to be a fighter but was shit at hitting hard but good at clever combat' mastermind sort.

What I've actually played: Swashbuckling pirate at some point.
>>
>>53824386
Happy-go-lucky halfling urchin that picked up the skills on the street and now just wants to explore
>>
>>53824386
Ex-convict who now works with the city watch.
A locksmith tired of monotony.
A Pirate. Batman.
>>
>>53824386
Gentleman thief. Collector of rare books, art or whatever. Maybe too mysterious but not really dark or edgy.
>>
>>53824476
Try out a duelist dandy type character. Your sneak attacks can just be precision, because you are using essentially the needle of the sword world as your main weapon.
>>
>>53824504
The city watch think makes me wonder if you could make an effective strength rogue. Like a reformed thug.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1153x1358px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1153x1358px
>>53824386
a duelist. play swashbuckler and play a noble rogue dueling man.
>>
Cool. Thanks for the ideas all
>>
>>53824386
Assassin: A happy killer, someone like Ladd Ruso from Baccano! Or a reformed killer.

Arcane Trickster: Circus performer, Conartist.

Thief: Thug, Burgluer, pro cup stacker.

Swashbuckler: Fancy duelist, smooth talker, ect.

Mastermind: Man with the plan, a tactician.

Inquisitive: A detective.

This just came to mind a surgeon.
>>
Advice for a first-time Wizard player?
>>
>>53824662
Take utility spells primarily, be a God wizard.
>>
>>53824676
Like what? Any recommendations?
>>
>>53824662
Take lots of ritual spells. You don't need to prepare ritual spells to cast them as a ritual.
A ritual doesn't take a spell slot but takes 10 minutes longer to cast.

Focus on utility. You have a great deal of magical utility. Damage should be tactical unless your DM has very short adventuring days - a well placed damage spell is much better.

And stay away from melee.
>>
File: MonkAssassin.pdf (898KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MonkAssassin.pdf
898KB, 1x1px
So 3 Rogue Assassin, 17 Shadow Monk is best for sneaky killers right? I made a level 6 character with 3 in both and it seems like it'll be really cool.
There may be some minor errors but I think it's all good.
Before I actually use it I'll be going over it once more to make sure everything is in order.
>>
>>53823571
Lizard boobs are degeneracy, therefore it's only a matter of time before they're declared canon.
>>
>>53824784
Why are you multiclassing? If you want sneak attack crits play a rogue, if you want *teleports behind* go full monk.
>>
File: kraken.jpg (139KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kraken.jpg
139KB, 800x1200px
I'm writing a sidequest for an encounter with the Order of the Kraken. Mostly because one of our players is away for a few weeks.

Basically its lategame SKT, and I want them to have a real threatening encounter with the Kraken's agents to foster some antagonism.

I'm thinking a spooky fishing village full of hooded figures that obviously turn out to be fish people led by a deep sea priest.

The twist being the priest is an NPC they used to trust who disappeared months ago.

Any more ideas?
>>
File: look ma I contributed.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
look ma I contributed.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53821470
>>
File: conan_barbarogue.jpg (72KB, 1086x724px) Image search: [Google]
conan_barbarogue.jpg
72KB, 1086x724px
Barbarogue player here.

I have questions. Questions about javelins.

1) Can I recklessly throw javelins using Reckless Attack?

2) Can I get sneak attack damage off javelins?
>>
>>53824978
no and no
>>
>>53824849
not him, but most likely for autocrits on suprise
>>
File: krake spawn.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
krake spawn.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>53824880
They should fight a couple of Krake Spawn.
>>
>>53822737
I think there are a few werewolf focused adventures in the Adventurerer's League companion adventures for CoS's season.
>>
>>53825007
Back to daggers and rapiers, I guess.
>>
File: 451510658.jpg (362KB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
451510658.jpg
362KB, 1024x675px
So improvised weapons... What about improvised shields?
>>
>>53824938
lol thanks
>>
>>53816496
This, otherwise,
this >>53817009
>>
>>53816080
i dont like the way it works right now either. essentially now my players just argue for it. like every time they roleplay something jokey they demand it and get mad at me for not giving it. when truthfully they pretty much never roleplay, and never consider their character's intentions.

they all either play themselves and/or just try to "win" constantly.

i dont think inspiration encourages people to roleplay, most people just wont roleplay. others will sort of half roleplay. some will roleplay as a joke.

all my players are completely new to dnd. i find that the ones who i know have prior experiences roleplaying on forums, in games like WoW, or whatever are more fun to play with or like have a sense of how to empathize with a character.

for people with no experience its really hard for them to roleplay. they are either quiet, or like play themselves. and when people play themselves, they get really upset and take things personally when the world reacts to them in a way that they dont want
>>
>>53824978
>>53825007
I'll give the reasoning for this.
1) Reckless attack mentions it's only for melee attacks, and throwing is a ranged attack. Otherwise I'd be building the most batshit crazy barbarian paladin you'd ever seen.

2) Sneak attack only works with finesse weapons, and Javelins are not finesse weapons.

Sorry, friend. My dreams of ranged paladins got fucked by these rules too.
>>
>>53824849
>>53825016
Yeah, I plan to be the scout for my group. I'll sneak in and try to take out the strongest enemy. Since darts count as Monk weapons, I'll be doing very nice damage with them if I can't get too close. If I can get close, I can just Furry of Blows at least three targets. Also, even outside of sneaking, if I go first (which I should often with +9 initiative) I can definitely deal some good damage.
>>
>>53825159
>Sneak attack only works with finesse weapons

Or ranged weapons, like bows and crossbows.
>>
>>53825170
Also I really wish there was a way I could get darkvision to see through my magic darkness without going 2 levels into Warlock. That seems like too much multiclassing.
>>
>>53825147
You should try that reverse inspiration thing AngryDM did.

tldr version:
>Every player gets a inspiration at the start of a session
>They can use it whenever they like, so long as they can justify it as a character trait/flaw/bond/etc
>Once it's used, they can regain inspiration by taking disadvantage on a roll, so long as they can justify it as a character trait/flaw/bond/etc
>>
>>53825179
Right, forgot that bit.
>>
>>53825159
>>2) Sneak attack only works with finesse weapons, and Javelins are not finesse weapons.
Funny enough, darts are finesse weapons. I've always wanted to try a Barbrogue that throws darts at people.
>>
>>53816358
I don't know RAW, but I've always said yes
>>
File: 1463791916580.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1463791916580.png
230KB, 640x360px
>>53824938
Holy shit, i can't believe they actually made something based on the movie. I think i'm gonna puke.
>>
>>53824319
may i see a picture of your wife? i beleve u of course i merely
>>
>>53825124
I'd allow it, probably a +1 bonus unless it is very shield-like
>>
>>53825124
Shields are very simple and general objects.

The only thing is an improvised shield is more likely to break or something.
>>
Best build for annoying the shit out of a bad DM? UA included.
>>
>>53825442
quitting the game is the best build
>>
>>53825391
yeah maybe +1 or +2 bonus but if its a wooden object and the attack beats the Wood AC listed in objects and environment part of the dmg, but doesnt beat your AC, then it hits the shield and does damage as per object rules, potentially or probably breaking it
>>
>>53825450
Easy way out. Fuck that.
>>
>>53825442
8 int wizard
>>
>>53825442
Mystics can be built pretty ridiculously but at lower levels you can't spam much due to how few Psi points you have.
>>
>>53825276
There's 4 of them, making a mini campaign.
>>
>>53825442

Lucky Halfling Divination Wizard.
>>
>>53824880
make up stats for one bizarro mutated blind fishman with crazy eyes that the fish people keep blindfolded and hidden away, maybe the fish people tie up a party member and force them to look into it's eyes. the first person to look into it's eyes is cursed with the fear of water. if it is early enough then they might just have to get a remove curse. if it is extremely late game say it is a curse known as the "True Fear of Water" that can't be removed except for a wish spell.

either way should make some interesting encounters as fish men try to drag party members into the depths and one of them is terrified of the water and unable to respond or frantic or whatever
>>
Excuse me if I'm retarded and did not read the books correctly (and English is not even my third language), but
* are all rogues supposed to be 100% thieves and criminals?
* "Almost any non-evil deity can claim influence over this [cleric] domain" even non-evil death gods like that Kelemvor guy?
>>
How do the UA Kits of Old compare to the current subclasses?
I was looking at playing the Scout archetype for the fighter.
>>
>>53825656
"Almost any non-evil deity can claim influence over this [cleric] domain" being the *life domain of course
>>
>>53825656
>* are all rogues supposed to be 100% thieves and criminals?
read the replies to >>53824386
>>
>>53825656
No and yes
>>
>>53825656
>* are all rogues supposed to be 100% thieves and criminals?
rogues do not have to be, but their skills generally support that type of life.

All classes are just a basic layout that fits that archetype. You don't HAVE to be anything. Fighters don't have to be soldiers, barbarians don't have to be uncivilized, wizards don't have to be nerds.
>>
>>53825656
1) Nah, Rogues can be cool dudes.
2) Hell yeah, Kelemvor's a bro
>>
>>53825708
>wizards don't have to be nerds
Name ONE wizard that isn't a nerd
>>
>>53825708
The thing is, not all sneaky people are criminals. A spy is a rogue, but he breaks no laws, and he rarely steals, and never for profit.

The king's assassin is a rogue. He kills, but in state-sanctioned circumstances, and never steals.
>>
>>53825725
I said they didn't HAVE to be nerds.
>>
>>53825725
You better check yourself, nigga.
>>
>>53825741
>but he breaks no laws
I don't think you know what spies are.
>>
>>53825741
>spy
>breaks no laws
I don't think so
>>
>>53825758
>>53825769
Have either of you ever read anything, even once, about espionage laws in D&D?

They don't have them.
>>
>>53825755
Gandolf the Chad
>>
>>53825788
>They don't have them.
tell that to the spies that have been executed.
>>
>>53825788
>espionage laws in D&D
>They don't have them.
This may surprise you, but most D&D settings most national entites are not strong supporters of statutory law supremacy.
>>
File: orc_by_davidhueso-d62998f.jpg (60KB, 600x672px) Image search: [Google]
orc_by_davidhueso-d62998f.jpg
60KB, 600x672px
my full orc barbarian has 5 wisdom and 7 intel. how retarded is he?
>>
>>53825887
iirc 6 INT is the bare minimum required to be able to speak to some extent, so he should just be able to string together phrases and words with more than three syllables. Thankfully with 5 wis he won't need an awful lot of those.
>>
>>53825694
Anyone?
>>
>>53825887
You've made a supermutant basically
>>
>>53825887
Too dumb to live, hunt for food or anything
They legitimately have the stats of a downs child and probably have been raised by loving parents who couldn't possibly let them go

Fuck these 'dumb barbarian' meme characters
>>
>>53825887
Somewhere between Harambe and Rain Man, except without any of the Rain Man's autism abilities.
>>
File: x7yWxws[1].jpg (198KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
x7yWxws[1].jpg
198KB, 800x600px
>>53825911
>6 INT is the bare minimum required to be able to speak
I'm pretty sure you can still talk with 3 INT, you would just be limited to shit like this
>>
>>53825913
It's okay if you use the PHB Ranger. It's really fucking strong if you use the Revised Ranger. Either way, don't worry so much. As long as what you're playing isn't ballfuckingly bad like the PHB ranger or the elemental monk you will be fine.
>>
>>53825990
Well, speaking as in speaking a language used by humanoids. I'm pretty sure it's 6 because find steed raises any animal below 5 INT to 6 and gives them the ability to understand a player language.
>>
>>53825636
They'd rather murder an entire village than be captured.

And they'll whine if I throw an insane monster against them for an excuse to knock em out and capture them.

But I like the idea.
>>
>>53825911
>iirc 6 INT is the bare minimum required to be able to speak to some extent
In past editions maybe
>>
>>53826187
No, in older editions it was 3, which enabled you to speak common with some difficulty
>>
>>53824380
This sounds pretty righteous, a specific weapon says so much about a character beyond "1d8+2 damage" and it really gets to me when my dashing swashbuckler ends up using that +2 shortsword or my hoplite inspired fighter becomes just mr sword and board or some shit because whoever enchants weapons just doesn't DO rapiers or spears.
Once had a DM who among other things had this super narrow view of how heroic fantasy was supposed to work. Heroes used magic swords, not axes, not morningstars, not polearms, so by the end of the game we were all rocking some manner of enchanted blade. Barbarian had a greatsword, paladin and bard both had longswords (pali fluffed his as a bastard sword since it was his god's favored weapon and even that got DM grumbles) and the monk had a magic throwing dagger.
Then again this is the same GM who couldn't wrap his head around my elf paladin taking oath of the ancients because "t-that's not what a paladin is, you should take oath of devotion!"
>>
>>53821450
>>53821422
>>53821385
Well looky here who's talking shit in my back.

Ain't that the one -furry- who spent first session talking with the other one about how *he proposed to have sex with all NPCs and fucked male goblins by accident and everything*

And you wonder why my character wouldn't associate to yours. Why I was, as a player, uncomfortable to get into the roleplay.

Now you're just vomiting slander in my back like I wouldn't find out. How bout I tell the people here how trash you are at roleplay? You metagamed constantly, you basically acted IC as yourself OOC, you refuse to maintain suspension of disbelief, you refused to heed that I warned you my character would have obvious troubles trusting people that *just* threatened to turn her in for a bounty and you got pricky about that.

And to cap it all you take stupid decisions.

Go ahead and pretend I'm the problem and edgy and shit. The 4th player got along just fine. Meanwhile, all you ever did was exchange memes in draconic in character with the other dude who rolled to seduce the old lady. You weren't taking this game seriously at all and I don't know why I'd gave to take you seriously myself, let alone enter a party dynamic on your terms.

Mistakes were made on all sides, but you throwing a fit and leaving to talk shit here instead of having a discussion about it like an adult just shows what you're really made of.
>>
>>53826318
We actually don't care, can you fucks just fuck off.
>>
Has anyone ever tried giving sorcerers spell points instead of slots, and just mashing them together with sorcery points into one pool that can be used for both? It seems like a decent way to give sorcerers a more unique style and let them use metamagic more often, but I guess I'd have to come up with a new level 2 thing for the class.
>>
>>53826318
Post your deviantart
>>
>>53825755
Gandalf is a Bard.
>>
>>53826433
>not a fighter/wizard
Leave this place, pleb
>>
>>53826318
post feet
>>
>>53821385
Yeah except he's conflating this whole shit to make himself look better.

The weapon isn't a katana. It looks like one but it's basically easier to describe that way, it's also using the mechanical stats.

I did try to port a PF class to 5e but then I was heavily advised otherwise and dropped it. What about it?

I play my mystics as weirdos. It's the first psi character I ever used and he's just reaching for a very low hit with that. Ooh look at that guy, roleplaying a character with weird brain powers. Such a red fleg; except, I'm just roleplaying. I wad the one to come up with the katana joke in the first place, it's called being tongue-in-cheek.

And wow holy shit yeah I draw, so what, is he really gonna use it against me that I spent nearly a decade practicing so I can design my own characters? The other dude drew his own as well, complete with a scar over the eye and everything, and I never insulted him for it. I think Anon here is just mighty jealous because he couldn't keep himself committed to art for more than 6 half-assed moths.

So yeah, you were eagerly witing for me to come whine about you say? Here you have it. I'm happy to let the others know about the details you *missed*.
>>
>>53826452
You should brush up on what magic is in the Middle Earth setting before you keep speaking on this subject.
>>
>drama
I really hope this doesn't follow onto the new thread
>>
>>53826412
It's what I let sorcerers do. It ends up with the character being super tough, as they get nigh- unlimited Shield and Mage Armor
>>
>>53826433
>>53826452
Gandalf is a disguised celestial outsider. He doesn't fit very well with any of the classes
>>
>>53826491
I know, but I was talking about how to build him in game
>>
>>53826468
Nobody cares please stop shitting up the dying thread
>>
File: 14586755672331.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
14586755672331.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>53821385
>>53821353
>>53821327
>>53821327
>>53826468
>>53826318
>>
>>53826491
Every time we talk about LotR classes there's like five guys who say "Gandalf is an Aasimar Bard"
>>
>>53826412
yeah i let my new player sorcerer do that in my party it works very well for her.

i have sort of an inking feeling that wizards sort of wanted sorcerers to use spell points in the first place, but chose to make them "variant rules" so that people wouldnt claim that sorcerer is overpowered in official league play. i think that conceptually, sorcerers are sort of -supposed- to be more of raw powerhouses than wizards.

the fact that my newer player using spell points on a sorcerer gets to feel like she can blast out a 2nd level spell with damage rerolls like every turn or so coupled with her very low amount of spells, it seems to even out with the slightly more experienced wizard's vast amount of versatility.

a sorcerer blasting away with metamagicked damaging spells until the enemy crumpes into dust is like exactly what sorcerer is for
>>
>>53826468
Fuck off with your shitty drama, we don't want see it in these threads.
>>
>>53826383
Oh, but I'd -graciously- like to, in truth, but if we're gonna drop dick moves it's just fair I get my turn.

Hey, should I tell them about your actual mental issues, the same way you're spilling off the shit I've been telling you about in good faith or do are you gonna calm the fuch down, lizard player?
>>
>>53826537
>>53826503
>>53826486
Don't worry. That's all I had to say. Please carry on.
>>
>>53826515
>implying it isnt 1 guy saying it 5 times
>>
>>53826555
Discuss it over PMs on roll20 or discord or whatever you're using, these threads are not for personal shitflinging
>>
>>53826555
I'm an outsider looking in to your severe autism fest. Talk to each other like regular people and not severe autistic retards. These threads aren't the place for your sperg outs. You and that fuck can fuck off.
>>
>>53826555
Please shit up another general with your autism
>>
>>53826318
>>53826468
>>53826555
At this point did you have to respond to them? I mean seriously, if it was a few hours ago it could've at least been entertaining but now you're just being retarded.
>>
>>53826555
Also. No one fucking cares. Stop wasting thread space.
>>
>>53825887
7 is just slightly below the bottom rung of average for a random commoner peasant. (8 to 10, with smarties getting up to 12) so in line with orc intelligence. 5 wisdom is more than many animals so you can easily survive in the wilderness if you had to.

It seems like he is just an orc barbarian, a simple man with simple pleasures. Killing innocents and eating their manmeats
>>
>>53821207
>attacked the guard.
You want the logs? OP's a lying piece of shit. I pretended to jump at the guard and didn't, to test their reaction. I set a fire as a distraction to save my life. Not that he could have known since there's no display on my spells.

I don't know why he's sperging about Deviantart. I had never mentionned it to them.

TLDR OP's a faggot and I'm glad he fucked off with his delusional lies.

Now I'm done with this. Peace.
>>
>>53826694
Nobody fucking cares.
>>
I have an upcoming all-urban-environment game w/ four PCs, starting at either level 1 or 3. One will be a Psion, one will be a Wizard, one is a Wild Card atm and then there's me. I'm thinking martial for this game, but I feel like I might need to go with something more tanky to keep these two (possibly three if the other guy goes skill monkey) alive for the early levels.

Wat do?
>>
>>53826712
Battlemaster Javelin Fighter. Refuse to fight in melee. Let the others pay for their hubris.
>>
>>53826694
>I pretended to jump at the guard and didn't, to test their reaction.
Alright, well that's fairly retarded but passable.

>I set a fire as a distraction to save my life.
That's retarded.

Also didn't you just say you're done with this? Fuck off to your group of furry trash and PM each other.
>>
>>53826712
Loose cannon city guard that's been let off the force but continues to work as a hero for hire. Take the soldier background so you can call in some favors from your guard buddies.
Maybe ask your DM if you can take Thieve's Cant as your second language.
>>
>>53826635
Hey, not gonna let him shit up my reputation on a place I sorta use, you know? I mean I'm also upset about those events. I'd not have checked the thread if I could get some sleep but it's all left me quite anxious and confused.

But yeah, peace.
>>
>>53826744
You're anonymous you dumbfuck. No one knows or cares who you are.
>>
File: 1344079057086.jpg (57KB, 506x567px) Image search: [Google]
1344079057086.jpg
57KB, 506x567px
>>53826744
>>53826694
>My reputation

YOU'RE A FUCKING ANONYMOUS CUNT ON AN ANONYMOUS BOARD YOU FUCKING AUTISTIC PIECE OF SHIT

Peace
>>
>>53826694
Post furry deviantart
>>
>>53826744
Nobody cares about your reputation because you're anonymous, dumbass.
>>
>>53826744
>Hey, not gonna let him shit up my reputation on a place I sorta use, you know?
It's an anonymous website. I don't care who's right or how you feel because they sound petty and you sound like someone with mental issue.

Please at least don't bother with this shit next thread.
>>
>>53826765
He must be a newfriend
>>
>>53826724
No, but maybe a Battlemaster Polearm Fighter? I like the concept of eventually getting Defense or Sentinel, or maybe leading with it, and do some denial of attack with the added range. I also like the concept of shield master and forcing advantages, but it doesn't seem very applicable unless I get some good damage dealers. Are Psions good damage dealers or are they more gimmicky striker gishes?
>>
>>53826778
>>53826778
>>53826778
Please stay here and continue your stupid bullshit. Everyone else, you know what to do.
>>
>>53826318
>>53826468
>>53826555
>>53826694
>>53826744
post feet
>>
>>53826796
Mystics can be whatever they want. If they build for melee damage, they'll give you melee damage. You'd have to coordinate with your other player.
>>
>>53826774
>>53826768
Guy tryna name me without naming me with the character and all that. You know how it could go. Then hey, we meet and play together, you recognize me as "guy from the thread", and you don't give me a chance. It's fair worry.
>>
>>53826822
>He plays the same character multiple times

If your so worried, then play something else m8
>>
>>53826819
Seconded. I want to see retard feet.
>>
>>53826318
>talking shit in my back

what
>>
>>53826841
I'm just trying to play that one, but last game blew up due to GM flakery. Now this one followed. Bad luck, but I really want to do that one concept. Besides making the art takes time.
>>
>>53824978
Yes to the javes. Sneak attack mentions ranged attacks or finesse weapons. Thrown javes are ranged but melee arent sneakattackable
No to reckless because it isnt a melee attack
>>
>>53826968
>Yes to the javes. Sneak attack mentions ranged attacks or finesse weapons. Thrown javes are ranged but melee arent sneakattackable
Wrong, they're not. They're melee weapons making a ranged weapon attack. Ranged weapons are only things under "Ranged Weapons" in the PHB.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/04/23/do-weapons-that-can-be-thrown-but-arent-ranged-weapons/

Don't worry, bad writing on their part of that rule.
>>
>>53827010
Well thats lame.
I got the exact opposite reading trying to make a javelin based palbarian for smites
>>
>>53827050
>I got the exact opposite reading trying to make a javelin based palbarian for smites
You can't smite with Javelins.

The rules make a distinction between "Attack" and "Weapon Attack". Anything can be used to make a "Ranged Attack" but only "Ranged Weapons" can make a "Ranged Weapon Attack".
>>
>>53827079
Correction: he can do whatever he gets the DM to agree to let him down. Sneaks and Smites with javelins aren't RAW, but they're not game-breaking either.
>>
>>53827079
I meant to say that they were ranged attacks and not melee attacks so i couldnt smite. So i thought i could use them with sneak attack but i guess letting str characters do anything decent at range would ruin the game
>>
>>53827079
I'll let you smite with a butter knife or a pool cue if you want to.

As long as it can do at least 1 damage as an improvised weapon, who cares.
>>
>>53827234
Those are both melee weapon attacks. Of course you can smite with those.
Thread posts: 430
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.