[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 34

File: SexyGreenKnight.jpg (406KB, 700x964px) Image search: [Google]
SexyGreenKnight.jpg
406KB, 700x964px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53745968

Do you ever restrict race options in your games? How about classes? How about race/class combinations?
>>
>>53753108
Volo came out and I made a Lizardfolk
DM said no Lizardfolk, no idea why though
>>
>>53753166
The girl he was stalking started dating a scalie
>>
>>53753166

What classes are good for Lizardfolk?
>>
File: Flumph.jpg (44KB, 309x417px) Image search: [Google]
Flumph.jpg
44KB, 309x417px
What is the best monster and why is it the Flumph?
>>
>>53753176
Cleric or Druid. They're actually kinda bad at everything else.
>>
>>53753108
>Do you ever restrict race options in your games? How about classes? How about race/class combinations?
It depends on the setting. If it's low magic, I'll restrict it to the "Tolkien" races. Elves, Dwarves, Humans and Halflings. If a player can justify it, Half-Orc. No Class restrictions, I feel they all make sense in any setting.
>>
>>53753146
>>53753071
I'm more trying to capture the feel of a Clint Eastwood/John Wayne character. The use of an actual gun isn't needed.
>>
>>53753200
>Not a rust monster
>OK cool, you found a +1 sword and that's unaffected but enjoy your -1 AC
>>
>>53753108
I had a DM who restricted race and class for his Eberron campaign setting, which is not actual Eberron setting but one he made up which was kinda boring... not the best DM ever and, also, sadly, my first DM ever. He also killed my character out of spite. Just because MY character did not act how he wanted.
>>
>>53753108
I restrict it based on setting and tone.

Like for Eberron I'm not allowing aarakocra or goliaths kenku or what have you, but I'm more apt to allow goblinoids, lizardfolk, and (my homebrew versions of) shifters and changelings and warforged.
>>
How would you feel about allowing players to have two classes for one character? I don't mean multiclassing. I mean actually leveling two classes but only being able to use one at a time. Like it requires a long rest to change class. I'm trying to think of a way to justify it in game though. I feel like it'll allow people to swap out roles and try out new things without requiring a new character.
>>
Let's assume my table wants to do something about healer whack-a-mole and the ideal method of healing being to let a target reach 0 first and then pull them back up.

What are some ways to incentivize in-combat healing WITHOUT penalizing going to zero? So none of that "you get exhaustion" or "use the Vitality system" or "your max HP is reduced by 1/4th or any of that.
How do we just make healing GOOD?
>>
Anyone has a link to the critter compendium?
>>
>>53753204
I don't think I agree.
The warlock is very setting-dependent. Not necessarily because of the class itself, but because each pact depends on a type of patron (archfey, archfiend, etc.) actually existing.
The sorcerer relies on magic being something that can be inherent to a person. Some settings may not have that.
Bards and paladins derive their powers from sources (music and faith, respectively) that may not be able to grant such powers in a given setting. The character archetypes would definitely still exist, but they would be represented as rogues and fighters.
>>
File: 4ec254819ac8a.jpg (558KB, 2000x2623px) Image search: [Google]
4ec254819ac8a.jpg
558KB, 2000x2623px
>>53753202

>Lizardfolk War Cleric of the Sun

I'm really feeling it. What about you, soft-mouth?
>>
>>53753202
They make good Fighters and Rangers. Especially DEX Fighters thanks to the natural AC and more ASI's to make up for low starting DEX.
>>
>>53753288
I think it's fine for like a level or two so players can see if they like a class/race. After level 2 or 3, I'd make them commit until their character dies.
>>
>>53753108
Never, I don't like restricting my players like that. It helps that my setting is very kitchen sink as well
>>
>>53753288
I mean I could see it in a Cyberpunk game, but maybe not fantasy... Wait, maybe instead of downloading new class information into your brain implants, you could use a magical form of that, something that is a part of the setting. Like a guild of wizards who make cash by implanting skillsets into people's heads... they obviously can't raise your skill, maybe because people only have a certain capacity for skill (a.k.a. their XP).
>>
>>53753108
>Do you ever restrict race options in your games? How about classes? How about race/class combinations?
My setting only has Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Halflings, and Gnomes. But it's a custom setting.
If I were playing in FR I'd open it all up, though obviously monstrous races in a party would preclude the group from going to a lot of places or interacting favorably with most people.
>>
>>53753363

Does their racial AC stack with the Unarmored Defense from Barbarian or Monk?
>>
>>53753444
yes because their armor is Natural armor which stacks with monk AC bonuses
>>
>>53753363

Would you still go 2hand or Sword & Board, or is dual wielding decent now?
>>
>>53753432
I am the guy who posted about the awful DM, and just so you know I am not saying everyone who restricts classes and races are bad DMs, just that this bad DM did that. Just so you know.
>>
>>53753444
No. All AC calculations replace each other, they do not stack. If you have multiple features that say "your AC is X+Stat", you get to pick one.

A Lizard Redemption Paladin / Monk / Barbarian with Mage Armor gets only one AC calculation.
>>
>>53753407
I don't think it really requires an in-game justification, but I would limit it to one change per session. Ultimately, the game should be about having fun and if David Davidson decides in the first session that he really hates playing a Warlock or whatever, he can change it without having requiring some half-assed justification for the character leaving and the new character being introduced.
>>
>>53753488
I missed that entire discussion if it happened last thread so I don't take offense.
As an aside, I could put Dragonborn in my setting, but no one would play them anyway.
i'm also not using racial stats
>>
Came here to clarify that if an artificer infuses something with a spell that requires concentration, the person using the infused equipment has to make the concentration check.
>>
>>53753485
NO NO NO ABSOLUTELY NOT THIS IS NOT 3.PF

>>53753444
No. It's an alternate calculation. There is almost no form of AC stacking in 5e except shields.
>>
>>53753531
The person that uses the infused spell maintains concentration with all the rules associated with it.
>>
So, what the opinion on a monk jumping 60+ feet
>>
>>53753518
Well, I was just responding to anon asking for a justification, not saying you necessarily need one.
>>
>>53753533

Gotcha. So to make the most out of it you'd want to do a Cleric, Cleric/Wizard, dex Fighter/Ranger, or just a land Druid?
>>
THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE NUBIANS
>>
>>53753553
No problem with that.
>>
File: BLACK PLANET.jpg (69KB, 879x290px) Image search: [Google]
BLACK PLANET.jpg
69KB, 879x290px
>>53753576
>>
File: borisgetsblacked.jpg (83KB, 620x835px) Image search: [Google]
borisgetsblacked.jpg
83KB, 620x835px
>>53753576
Gotcha covered, kouhai.
>>
>>53753551
Outta curiosity does that include spell DCs? I assume it uses the artificer's DC, cinsidering a fighyer for example would not have one, even if they used the item.
>>
File: volo kobold.png (674KB, 492x740px) Image search: [Google]
volo kobold.png
674KB, 492x740px
I want to play a Kobold.
What are some viable ways to build one? I kind of want to make a ward.
>>
>>53753604
*bard
>>
>>53753604
DEX barbarian
>>
>>53753565
Any druid is fine
>>
>>53753565
Do you mean "make the most out of [the AC feature]"? Yeah, pretty much. Dex and Shield are your friends.

>>53753576
Sorry, I'm a different OP than the one who posts racial minorities. I like Oath of the Ancients Paladins more than I like starting fights on /tg/.
>>
File: 1462402018750.jpg (11KB, 323x241px) Image search: [Google]
1462402018750.jpg
11KB, 323x241px
whats the best way to handle 'ambush' type scenarios?

basically, what i want to do is this:
the players are travelling through a forest, and i want them to stumble into 'gnoll territory'. they will be subject to guerilla tactics and waves of gnolls, making the progress through the territory like a dungeon crawl of sorts (use of traps, hit and run, etc).

how do i do this if characters do not make active perception checks? just use their passive scores until they decide to go on high alert? i hate asking players to make perception checks, it breaks things up and makes it seem like they are missing things if they roll like crap.
>>
>>53753647
oooohh intriguing, now I might make a character like that.
>>
>>53753487
You'd want bow most likely, or Sword 'n' Board with a Rapier.
>>
>>53753673
Describe the environment, occasionally drop subtle hints about gnolls if their passive perception is high enough. If they suspect something, give them a chance to explore more thoroughly or be on higher alert
>>
>>53753604
Standard lore bard would work. Pack tactics should help with sunlight sensitivity, and when you aren't in sunlight, all your attack spells will have advantage as long as the sponge is next to the enemy
>>
>>53753647
>>53753674
Super intriguing, but Rage only works with strength attacks.
>>
What would/should elves think about guns? What about dwarves?
>>
>>53753108
My DM would restrict certain combonations, as well as force characters upon players. Reason why i left his group
>>
Modern magic settings are pretty fun.
>>
>>53753793
Elves think they are pointless and needlessly destructive (why use that awful mechanism when a finely placed arrow can kill just as quickly) and dwarves think they're the coolest shit they've ever seen and often get drunk and go out hunting
>>
>>53753793
Elves would be great with them but find them cruder and less fun than bows.
Dwarves would probably invent them.

>>53753820
Obviously, but D&D is poorly suited for them.
>>
Is it possible to make a water-themed spellcaster in 5e? A hydromancer, if you will.
>>
I was reading Volo's guide today, specifically the section on goblinoids, and more than a resource for depicting detailed dungeons and encounters for adventurers, the whole thing struck me as an amazing premise for an all-goblinoid adventure.
When goblinoids encounter each other under significant circumstances, they take it as a sign from Maglubiyet to form a Host. Then it says that a Host doesn't get really started until a permanent hobgoblin settlement packs up and hits the road, which grows and conquers territory, and with luck can eventually form a true nation. To me, this seems like the perfect level progression:

>lvl 1 gobbos meet up, form Host
>1~7: adventure to faraway/nearest hobgoblin garrison, try to convince hobbos it's a Host
>7~13: travel the land, building your force and waging skirmishes and battles
>14-20: form and manage a whole kingdom until it inevitably falls apart

Provided my players are willing to work within the confines of only hobgoblin, goblin, and bugbear as playable races, does this seem like a fun adventure campaign? Is the concept solid? Is it too narrow a scope?
>>
>>53753809
Yeah I already said something to that effect, but mine was my first DM ever, and he killed my character out of spite, just because he didn't act exactly like the DM wanted.
>>
>>53753838

Guns are terrible for tunnel fighting and the other narrow confines they normally engage in battle.

Elves would love guns once rifling and other advances are invented.
>>
>>53753839
Triton sea sorcerer
>>
>>53753793

Old generations stick to bows. New generations of elves make works of art out of the guns and make rifling work. Dwarves think they are too dangerous to use underground (awaking monsters and all of that).
>>
>>53753886
Genasi
>>
>>53753893
I can see elves falling for that autistic "muh lone cold calculating sniper" schtick
>>
>>53753838
I'm running one right now, it seems alright.
>>
>>53753865
>he thinks Dwarves give a shit about smoke when they have infravision and hang out around forges all day or hearing loss when they're banging hammers and screaming all the time
>he thinks arcing weapons are better in a cave with stalactites hanging off the ceiling everywhere
>he thinks Dwarves wouldn't go straight to medicine guns and completely bury anything at the far side of a narrow tunnel in lead
>>
>>53753945

>humans throw machineguns and bodies at everything
>orcs only fire as prep for a bayonet charge, with affixed axe-heads
>>
>>53753989
>medicine guns
>>
File: powerful medicine.jpg (99KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
powerful medicine.jpg
99KB, 500x343px
>>53753999
IT'S THE CURE FOR THE GREENSKIN DISEASE
>>
>>53754019
And the point eared disease too
>>
>>53753955
>>53753820
"Grandpa, why do you keep preparing Sending spells? You know we have cellphones now, right?"
>>
>>53754045
Who cares if some spells are obsolete?
>>
File: Codex of Waves.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Codex of Waves.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>53753839
Use these, they're great.
>>
>>53753793

They would probably be annoyed with how loud they are. That's why they would be the first to invent silenced ones.
>>
>>53754045
"You see Luthandriel, back in my days..."
>>
Is there any reason to take a full blooded orc over a half orc?
>>
>>53754075
Sending could definitely still be useful. It's definitely more secure than a text message or email. I was just thinking about how a modern teenager would react
>>
>>53754019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98HTgS85T0k#t=0m53
>you will never be a dwarven bandito-turned-revolutionary with a gatling gun
>or a redemption paladin with a cassock full of hand grenades
>>
>>53754147
Half-orcs at this point are LITERALLY a eugenics scheme by orcs, so no.
>>
If I wanted to make a fencer/duelist character woulf I be better off taking ranger or college of swords bard.
The idea is to use a rapier and no shield.
>>
Is artificer any good?
Is it fun?
>>
>>53753839
A Triton or water gensai sea sorcerer.
>>
>>53753223

Battlemaster Fighter with a hand crossbow and crossbow expert (feat) is probably the closest thing.

>>53753108

Races: No gnomes or dragonborn ever. Monster races on a case by case basis. I hate half races but I allow them because I haven't come up with good replacements yet.

Classes: UA on a case by case basis, no mystic

>>53754206
It's mid-tier in terms of power.
"Do you like explosions?"
>>
>>53753108
So far my homebrew has a shit ton of races, but only Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Orc are playable. There are also no half races, even though all of the player races can breed with each other. Children are whatever the mother is, with traits of the father. So Elf(Father)/Orc(Mother) would result in a more "traditionally attractive" Orc. Dwarf/Elf results in slightly stouter Elves that are capable of growing beards. Human/Dwarf makes slightly taller dwarves with less dwarfy beards. Orc dads make big strong, slightly fanged kids. etc.
>>
>>53754206
It's pretty low in terms of power, and pretty limited in terms of what it can do. It can be fun if you've got a DM that is flexible with magic item creation in regards to them.
>>
Never been a fan of Warlocks but I'm playing a Fiendlock refluffed to a Dragon patron in an upcoming game. Any advice for this?
>>
>>53754334
>There are also no half races, even though all of the player races can breed with each other. Children are whatever the mother is
This is also exactly how I'm handling mine.
>>
>>53754369
Borrow from Dragon Sorc.

Or, use something like seeker patron. Dragon gives you strength so you can go add exotic stuff to its horde.
>>
>>53754372
>>53754334
Following Pokemon rules, I see.
>>
>>53753200
The flumphs are true bros.
>>
Is it better to be a EK or bladesinger as a gish?
>>
>>53754398
More than you know.
>>
>>53754387
But I want to be a Fiendlock for Fire.
>>
>>53754449
Than borrow from pyromancer sorcerer
>>
>>53754471
Or I could just play a Fiendlock like I was going to and ask for advice playing one?
>>
>>53754491
Take fire spells
>>
>>53753604
Rogue.
>Pack Tactics offsets Sunlight Sensitivity
>Sneak Attack deals bonus damage on whoever you're attacking, and if you're a kobold you'll already be double-teaming an enemy because of pack tactics
>>
>>53754175
>when you take 3 redpills instead of 1 and the /pol/ hits hard
>>
>>53754160
tfw no companeros
https://youtu.be/sF4qiSutUA0
>>
>>53754344
Robe of Useful Items is pretty cool.

Though I do agree that there should be some better options in there. Some offensive stuff would be cool for those Artificers who want to play a more damaging game vs a more utility based one.
>>
>>53753604
Beast Master Ranger. Both you and your animal give each other Pack Tactics meaning you both have INFINITE advantage.
>>
>>53754511
/pol/ would be aghast at the concept of race-mixing creating a superior blend
i guess because animal husbandry and botany were never taught in their one-room schoolhouse?
>>
Are there any magic items that are pretty well know/popular in other editions and aren't in 5th yet so might be in XGE?
>>
>>53754193
Anyone?
>>
>>53754667
>Gunsmoke clearly coming out of the barrel
Who is he shooting at? God?
>>
>>53754684
>who is he shooting at, God?
He is the fedora wearing athiest of yesteryear
>>
Oh man. I had my players walk into a really creepy temple-like dungeon with eerie face-less statues all around.
As they walked further and further in the statues would be pointing at them as they entered the rooms. Not moving, but pointing their direction, frozen.

They finally entered a room with a large statue standing in front, guarding the entrance to the real dungeon... basilisks.
Oh man the fear on their fucking faces.

>near tpk as 3/4 turned to stone
Luckily they had greater restoration.

I had always wanted to do a basilisk encounter with that set up but was always afraid the statues would give it away. I can't believe it worked so well. I think what helped, was all the faces of the statues were as if they had been "sanded off" so that they were featureless.
The faces have actually been chipped off and made into masks for those hiding deeper within. It's kinda fucked up but I like it.
>>
>>53754193
literally any martial or half-caster could do that, as could valor and sword bards, bladesinger wizards and stone sorcerers, so giving advice is hard without knowing more

bard is among the strongest that fits so i'll say bard
>>
>DM reveals that the big bad of the campaign is my character
>>
>>53754805
Don't put too much emphasis on the statues until they reach the point of no return. Just mention them every once in a while, say the faces are off but dont describe how lifelike or anything.
>>
>>53754805
What little bitches, I summoned elk and even they fucking survived a basilisk encounter
>>
Anons? Long story short, in 3.0, the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting had racial stats for a half-elf half-orc PC species. It was basically a half-orc with +2 Dex instead of +2 Str.

Since the idea is neat, even if the crunch sucked, I want to try and convert it to 5e.

Which stat bonus would you consider best? +2 Str/+1 Dex? +2 Dex/+1 Str? Or +1s in Str, Dex and Int?
>>
>>53754805
That's a pretty cool set-up.
>>
>>53754877
Elk are stone cold killers.
>>
>>53754898
What about no racial attributes and a bigger array or more points to allocate
>>
finally playing D&D for the first time in 10 years tomorrow. I'm playing a halfling bard with a criminal background and need a good name.
>>
>>53754852
I didn't really. They latched on to them pretty quickly. The red herring that they were "normal" statues early on was a set of stone carving tools left around an upper floor. Perhaps should have mentioned that.

Anyway. It worked really well.
>>53754877
Something about this group, they can never pass saves. They don't even have bad stats.

They'll have plenty of prep time. But there's gonna be a death tyrant encounter in their future.
>>
>>53754996
Slippyfingers
>>
>>53754996
Danny Dualwield.
He has a strong Boston accent and he's ya boy.
>>
>>53754996
Piper Long
>>
>>53755010
>Fuck up basilisks
>Expect them to survive a death tyrant
I ran a basilisk encounter the other day. I allowed them to have heard rumors of creatures that could turn people to stone with their gaze. They cast darkness on themselves and started spamming AOE attacks where they thought the basilisks were.
>>
>>53754193
I'm doing a Paladin based off the three musketeers, so really it's all fluff and any martial or half caster can do it.
>>
What's the best Character Sheet for a Warlock?
>>
>>53755055
Too bad that's not how being blinded/lack of sight works in 5e. You either homebrewed the rules(and made it shit) or don't know how to play.

I'm happy I am not one of your players.
>>
Do barbarian rage bonuses apply to thrown weapons? Does reckless attack? My barbarian just got some boots of flying, and I want to rain down furious javelins on my foes.
>>
>>53754996
Chokey
>>
>>53755130
Care to explain? It was my first time DMing
>>
>>53755152
Yes to all
>>
File: shredder.jpg (21KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
shredder.jpg
21KB, 355x355px
>>53755115
Anything small enough to fit in here.
>>
>>53755115
Make a wizard
>>
>>53755157
Even if you don't see a target, for example if you are blinded or he is invisible you know where he is. Unless he is trying to hide.

You just attack him with disadvantage
>>
>>53754996
Biben Huckerston
>>
Is a character focusing on thrown weapons viable without some kind of return mechanic or is it just memeing?
What if I run out of javelins, hatchets, daggers or what have you?
>>
>>53755178
My mistake. I'll know better in the future.
>>
>>53754846
I love doing this to players.
>>
>>53755115
/tg/ spellcaster sheet in the MEGA. Only difference in how you fill it out is that you have less spell slot numbers to write down.
>>
>>53755115
Like, do you you mean the best way to build the warlock or the best layout for the physical character sheet?
>>
>>53755130
>Petrifying Gaze.
>If a creature starts its turn within 30 ft. of the basilisk AND THE TWO OF THEM CAN SEE EACH OTHER, the basilisk can force the creature to make a DC 12 Constitution saving throw if the basilisk isn't incapacitated.
This guy's talking about his party protecting themselves from the gaze by throwing up Darkness and spamming AoEs to damage targets they'd prefer not to see or be seen by. Here you are quoting rules that aren't relevant in an attempt to win an argument that doesn't apply. Where did he mention them making melee or ranged attacks, or being unable to target each other entirely? He didn't, even if that's actually what happened in his game, so you just ran off on some tangent.

>>53755190
You did nothing wrong.
>>
>>53754846
Like you from the future or something?
>>
>>53755159
Word. I talked to DM and he said reckless wasn't logical for a throwing weapon but the rage bonus was, and I am not really going to argue with him.
>>
My DM is doing 4d6 drop lowest, which is standard. But he also did you roll 7 times and drop 1.

I ended up with my lowest stat at 11. My highest is admittedly only 16, but it feels crazy. Is this gonna bite us in the ass?
>>
>>53755115
Just use the caster sheet from the trove.
>>
>>53755186
shuriken are your best bet because you can reasonably carry a ton of them. Otherwise you want enough returning throwing weapons to make your full attack sequence. Shuriken, once again have the advantage here because putting magic on ammo is cheap.
>>
>>53755186
Throw goblins and other small creatures
>half orc barbarian gets arrested and loses all his weapons
>wrestles and kills one of his captors and uses his body as an improvised weapon
Sure it may do no damage but it's a hell of an intimidation
>>
>>53755226
Your highest stat being 16-17 after racials is cool and good, and what would actually fuck you is the opposite being true.

What your lower stats are doesn't really matter. You always just want decent main stat, decent con, and decent tertiary (dex or wis, or cha for paladins) and the rest might as well be dump stats.
>>
>>53755186
I would say it would depend on your DM. It could definitely be viable enough to work at early levels as long as you can carry about 10 to 20 on your person at a time within easy reaching distance to be grabbed and thrown each round. Outside of enemies having non-magic weapon resistance at later levels, I see no issue with there not being a return mechanic to the daggers, as they can be easily recovered after combat, and easily replaced if lost to a deep canyon or to an ooze.

At later levels though you may want to have some returning weapons (like the dwarven thrower) or have a magic weapon or two that you wont be throwing stashed away for combat with the more ferocious enemies D&D has to offer.
>>
>>53755211
I am, apparently, a Manchurian Simulacrum.
My character's backstory was that he was a very distant descendant of people from Jhaamdath, the big psion nation that got wiped out hundreds of years ago when they fucked with the elves. He's questing around the Sword Coast to collect the artifacts of his ancestors, since the nation's ruins (which are not in the Sword Coast) have been thoroughly looted in the intervening time and have wound up all over the place.

While I wrote that backstory, that whole motivation (and the rest of his life, like being from Al-Qadim) was essentially implanted in a magical clone of the BBEG which is not aware that it's a magical clone, and set lose to collect items of importance to him in a way that draws the least suspicion. Once I'd collected enough, he'd lure me and the party in by dangling more in front of us, then beat the shit out of me and take 'em so he could use them to fulfill whatever master plan he has.

And in the DM's modified setting, Jhaamdath also never existed, so it is a complete fabrication and none of the NPCs we've ever interacted with have known what's going on and have just thought my character to be exceedingly weird.

My PC also did some psionic crystal junk, one of them being able to Help at range if I had proficiency in the same skill (which, being an Awakened Mystic, was often). Turned out the BBEG was using that to essentially drain and absorb knowledge from the rest of the party. Every time I Helped them, all the information of our interaction and a portion of the other PC's knowledge and skill with that particular task was being psychically downloaded to enhance the BBEG. Unwitting mole Mystic.
>>
>>53755186
What feats, items, etc. are ideal for thrown weapons?
>>
>>53755210
Learn to read kid
>>
File: nado.jpg (333KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nado.jpg
333KB, 1200x1200px
There was someone here the other day talking about a pic related campaign, and I'm curious how they're going to run/stat the sharknados if you're still around
>>
>>53755422
The gaze isn't an attack, advantage/disadvantage need not apply.
>>
File: queequeg.jpg (171KB, 700x943px) Image search: [Google]
queequeg.jpg
171KB, 700x943px
>>53755186
So how could I make a whaler type of character that specializes in throwing javelins?
I can keep a spear and take the UA spear feat for when they get too close. Is it feasible to carry dozens of javelins?
>>
>>53755422
>They cast darkness on themselves and started spamming AOE attacks where they thought the basilisks were.
>Too bad that's not how being blinded/lack of sight works in 5e.
Given the text of Petrifying Gaze, can you explain how the Gaze not petrifying the players is wrong, or spamming AoEs in a general area is wrong, as you said? Can you further explain why the fuck you started ranting about attacks with disadvantage?
>>
Rate my character:

Chaotic good, dual wielder ranger drow, he is gonna be a UA beast master and he is going to have a panther as a companion, his character progression is going to be about him trying to be a force of good among the Drow.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>53754846
Is your character also originally a girl who underwent drug therapy to become a male dragonslayer?
>>
>>53755478
Yeah I plan to have javelins as ranged on the barb I'm gonna play and honestly more martials who focus in melee should at least have some ranged option for when it's needed.
>>
>>53755463
No one talked about the gaze you mongoloid
>>53755491
>Given the text of Petrifying Gaze, can you explain how the Gaze not petrifying the players is wrong

This is correct, players shouldn't be petrified, no one argued about that

>or spamming AoEs in a general area is wrong, as you said?

Because even if you are blinded and/or can't see the monster you know where he is, you don't need to "spam AoE trying to guess where the monster is".

Holy shit you guys are worse than reddit.
>>
Kobold Warlock, how do I do it other then spam EB against someone with an ally near them?
>>
>>53755493
Low quality bait.
>>
>>53753108
Please advise fellow fa/tg/uys!

Going to be playing Curse of Strahd next week. We currently have a Half-Orc Paladin, Human Variant Rogue, Aasimar Cleric, Half-Elf Bard, and an unknown Fighter.

I was planning on playing a Wild Mage Sorcerer. The DM told me he will have me roll on the Wild Magic Surge table for every single spell I cast, rule of funny. Should I plan on staying pure Sorcerer? Or would I be okay splashing in some Warlock?

I am somewhat new to 5e. Last campaign I played a pure Barbarian, so this time I wanted to venture out of my comfort zone and play an arcanist. Should I stick with a pure Sorc? Should I multiclass the Sorc and splash a few levels of Warlock? Or would I likely be nerfing myself by doing that? Please advise.
>>
>>53755478
>javelin thrower
Battlemaster. If you can't get your DM to let Archery style work with thrown weapons, go Duelist (and if he protests, just remind him that they're melee weapons and he just said javelins aren't ranged weapons when he said you couldn't use Archery).

A 1d6 one-handed weapon is a decent enough attack if they get close. You don't need to switch to anything else. Keep a shield in your off-hand, or dual-wield javelins if you want to make bonus ranged attacks. In the latter case, you will need to take the Dual Wield feat, because javelins aren't Light.

>is it feasible to carry dozens of javelins
Sure. My character has like, 20. The only problem with a javelin hucker is, per RAW, you only get one weapon draw as part of an attack. So you could not, say, put away a sword and throw two javelins in the same round, but you're OK to throw two javelins from the same hand if you start the turn holding one, which you would as a javelin hucker. Most DMs don't pay attention to this rule, though, and you shouldn't remind them if they don't pick up on it, because it's really fucking stupid.
>hur I can shoot 9 arrows but I can't throw 2 javelins
>>
>>53755493
Dual wielding sucks this edition unless you're a rogue, and beast mastery sucks no matter what. Drow also have a gigantic penalty when their target is in bright light. Overall, you have a really shitty character.

Why would you willingly gimp your party like this, anon? Why?
>>
>>53755322
I'm a Dwarven Bard. My final stuff ended up being:

Str: 13
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 16

Hopefully I can use all of them at least in skills.
>>
>>53755478
Play a ranger and use their spells that duplicate ammunition, they all work with throwing weapons. You can only draw one weapon per turn by RAW but most dms will hand wave it, or you can take the dual wielder feat to draw 2 per turn. You can also use darts which you can throw an infinite amount of per turn. Dueling fighting style works when using a javelin in melee and while throwing it.
>>
>>53755532
>if you are blinded and/or can't see the monster you know where he is, you don't need to "spam AoE trying to guess where the monster is"
That's like saying I don't need to shoot this goblin in the face with a crossbow if I'm capable of running up and stabbing him with a sword. Yeah, I could do that, but it doesn't make the other thing I did wrong.

And from a PC's point of view, what's safer? Running around groping in the darkness, swinging your sword around four other PCs swinging their swords, possibly tripping over each other and hitting your friends and walking into basilisk jaws or accidentally walking out of the Darkness AoE because you're a fucking Fighter and you obviously didn't see exactly where the Wizard cast it and he didn't share with you exactly what its radius is and you don't have a fucking tape measure to tell you how far you can walk,
or standing still and throwing shit at the last known position of a giant lizard?
>>
>>53755579
So I should go rogue and dump some levels into BM to have my companion?

also the game is called dungeon & dragons and not sunshine and faggotry, who cares about sunlight sensitivity.
>>
>>53755410
I could see two routes with this build. A rogue that focuses on hit & run without the need to disengage,and a fighter / ranger route that focuses on TWF to throw as many daggers as possible.

The former build would only really need to go the rogue class and limit themselves to daggers or darts. Maybe also grab the mobility feat or go the swashbuckler class to get out of bad situations. The latter build would desire a bit more effort. You would need the TWF style and dual wielding feat without question, and would need to go fighter or ranger to get the fighting style. The defensive duelist feat would also be handy if you are specifically using daggers. After all that, the build would open up so that you could build it within accordance to what you feel you need to build.
>>
>>53755532
backpedaling this hard
>>
>>53755523
>Isaac Newton retroactively changing your birth gender by fucking with chance / "Fate"
>drug therapy
UNMEI KAIHEN is a hell of a drug, but not literally.
and no.
character after next, though, for sure
>>
>>53755608
You are beyond salvation.

Or maybe I am being trolled really hard.
>>
>>53753839
and now a small bit of autism. Hydro-KINETIC.

hydromancer tells the future by reading water

hydrokinetic controls water

but otherwise sea sorcerer
>>
>>53755650
Man, "-mancer" has been standard parlance for "does shit with X" for decades and pretty much no one uses the real "divination by means of X" unless they're trying to be a pedant.
>>
>>53755650
>not being a hydromachist
let's be real
all you're gonna do is blow orcs up by throwing water spears at 'em
you're a waterfighter
>>
>>53754898
As well as this, morbid curiosity has me wondering; could a Yaddithian PC race for 5e work?
>>
File: samson.jpg (57KB, 702x336px) Image search: [Google]
samson.jpg
57KB, 702x336px
How would I make a Samson type of character, just use the path of the zealot barbarian?
Anything I can use other than a heavy weapon and GWM to make my barb a bit more unique while still helping the team?
>>
>>53755532
I'll admit that I was unaware of the whole blinded mechanic, but the players never even tried to attack them directly, so it's a non-issue. After the protective darkness went up, the casters immediately started using AoE attacks which ended the encounter faster than I was expecting.
>>
>>53755614
Nigga, beastmaster sucks. And SS will fuck you up, boy. Also half-elf with drow origin from SCAG is basically a better drow
>>
>>53755683
Take tavern brawler. Throw your enemies at your enemies and grapple people a lot.
>>
File: abnormalhair.png (151KB, 675x481px) Image search: [Google]
abnormalhair.png
151KB, 675x481px
>>53755683
Storm Herald, Sea type.
>At the end of each of your turns, you can choose a creature in your aura (10 feet) other than yourself. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. The target takes 2d6 lightning damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. This damage increases to 3d6 at 10th level and to 4d6 at 15th level.
Replace "Sea" with "hair" and "lightning" with "slashing".
Why just get your power from hair when you can literally kill people with your luscious locks?
>>
File: image_a10c0102.jpg (34KB, 629x354px) Image search: [Google]
image_a10c0102.jpg
34KB, 629x354px
>>53755733
Replace hair with nose hair
>>
>>53755721
>beastmaster sucks
Still playing with the PHB ranger? You's a dumb nigga.
>>
>>53755766
>>53755721
When will this meme die? Beast master ranger is better than barbarians, druids, and monks if anyone can cast haste on them and is comparable without it. The revised ranger beast master is also worse than the PHB beastmaster passed level 5.
>>
>>53755766
Nigga, my DM only allows published materials and am working under that assumption. Don't you go changing the goalposts like my babymama
>>
>>53755366
Lesson: Never fuck with the Elves.
>>
>>53755845
Lesson: if you fuck with Elves, be prepared to nuke them first.
>>
Is there a 5e PC app for making DnD chars like Chummer for Shadowrun or the app for Edge of the Empire?
>>
>>53755724
>>53755683
Any other feats I should consider?
Everyone is getting a freebie so v. Humans get two.
>>
>>53755865
Just use a pencil and paper, man. It's not that hard. And not wanting to dig through books or pdfs is not an excuse. 5etools is in the OP. Use it.
>>
>>53755366
That's utterly fantastic.
>>
>>53755865
Creating chars in 5e is simple as f, man. You just need a pencil and paper or your computer if you're using a fillable char sheet.
>>
>>53755892
Barbarians don't have many options in the way of utility.

Shield master, but it's worse than tavern brawler for barbarians because you already get advantage on dex saves.

Tough for ludicrous amounts of health. .

Athlete if you want to climb.

Resiliant (Wisdom) is good on Barbarians.

Healer so you can be the maniac medic.
>>
How do I avoid being hate crimed in a setting where everyone's a filthy racist to non-PHB classes?
>>
>>53756026
Carry a gun.
>>
I'm gonna be playing a Wizard from 1st level. What 1st level spells should I take?
>>
>>53756026
Invest in a magical item that changes your appearance to a PHB race
>>
What are some good team combinations to taking on Curse of Strahd? At least two paladins?
>>
>>53756026
Wait, how can you be racist against a class?
>>
>>53756038
Sleep
>>53756041
6 paladins
>>
>>53756038
Shield, Sleep, Absorb Elements
>>
Which would be a better fit for a halfling, Sorcerer or Warlock?
>>
>>53756051
Fuck, meant race. I'm the party face but apparently everyone hates Kobolds.
>>
>>53756038
Shield, Sleep, Find Familiar, Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Mage Armor

>>53756099
Kobolds are not adventurers, they're vermin.
>>
>>53756038
Chromatic Orb if you start with 50+ gp.
>>
>>53755865
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xYVLTzoFudimnHgI9Y3lhPz-CT_pSS7HoojCTgL1BSs/edit#gid=0
Be sure to make a copy of it.
>>
>>53754094
Is there one of these for fire?
>>
>>53756094
I would say sorcerer, being a warlock sounds like too much work for a lazy race that likes to just eat food all day
>>
>be Thief
>Find Scroll of Wish
>Use it at level 13 with Use Magic Device

he he he
>>
File: racistgetter.png (479KB, 731x1130px) Image search: [Google]
racistgetter.png
479KB, 731x1130px
>>53756026
Do not travel with the party, don't even be an adventurer. Stay in your fucking hole, far from civilization, and pray you pass beneath notice.
>>
>>53756181
Warlocks are pretty lazy since they just want magic handed to them by a patron instead of learning it the right way.
>>
>>53756222
Warlock fluff says they're actually taught by the patron and they can go out and learn shit on their own, too.

Druids and Sorcerers are the laziest.
>>
>>53756238
How do Druids learn magic? I thought they were like wizards except they study nature instead of books.
>>
>>53756263
They do. It takes effort to get in-tuned with nature. Its spontanious casters who are laziest. Bards and sorcerers, with warlocks following.
>>
>>53756263
Shrooms, mostly.
>>
I'm creating a low magic/witcher setting. So there is very limited amounts of magic around. i.e. no player has any.

Is there an alchemist/conjurer class that I can shamelessly rip off?

>In a world without true magic people tried their best to recreate the old legends
>Conjurers who would use pyrotechnics to trick people
>Alchemists who learned how to brew unstable potions and just how much damage those reactions could do
>Oils that applied seemingly amazing effects to weapons
>Concoctions that could make a man sleep for days
>>
>>53756291
Quote the part of the PHB that says Druids have to try.

The paragraph closest to describing where they get their powers from says they "revere nature above all", but doesn't hinge any power-granting on that, and goes on to say "many druids pursue a mystic spirituality of transcendent union with nature", which doesn't apply to all of them, "while others worship a nature deity", which again doesn't apply to all of them. Also, that first one is a bunch of hippie-dippie shit.

Druids just hang around and talk about, like, man, what if, like, the world is just one big cannibis plant, and we're just like, its buds, maaan. Woah.
>>
>>53753325
Healing Surges. Look up 4E.
>>
>>53756263
Apparently trees know a lot of crazy shit if you can figure out how to talk to one.
>>
>>53756318
There's an Artificer class UA with an Alchemist archetype but it's way more high magic than you're looking for.
>>
>>53756238
>you will never have an all night study session with your well endowed Archfey patron
>>
>>53755043
>>53755016
going with Piper Slippytoes thanks guys
>capcha Leader Hillside
that's a pretty good name too
>>
>>53756318
Wizard except they use the 3.5e style of casting, each prepared spell is some kind of grenade, potion or oil.

Some spells are removed and replaced with something similar but more thematic.
>>
>>53756331
I'm familiar with 4E's surges, I'm just trying to figure out how to work that into 5E. I know the DMG has an optional rule about being able to use a "healing surge" in combat as an action, spending up to half your level in HD, while also locking you out from spending HD on your next short rest (you can't spend HD to heal again until you FINISH a short rest).

That's something I'm considering, but it's just a roundabout way of saying PCs have infinitely-refilling potions. They waste a turn in combat to not die. Which is fine, but it doesn't really make the Cleric or whoever else in the party capable of healing want to spend their action to restore some dink-ass amount of HP.
>>
Is the Sleep spell worth taking? I imagine at higher levels it becomes obsolete, but at lower levels it could prove useful what with having no save.
>>
>>53756318
How is Witcher low magic? They have sorcerers that do crazy shit like time travel.
>>
>>53756366
you can always replace it when you outgrow it
>>
>>53756374
But not a lot of 'em.
>>
>>53756366
It's pretty much useless past level 5.
>>
>>53756366
Peasant women never get more HP.
>>
>>53756374
Sorcerors barely exist. I'm not saying they won't meet any in the world, it'll just ruin the theme if the player is one.

Isn't time travel saved for Ciri, i.e. the chosen one and magic child of elder blood.
>>
>>53756366
At low levels it can end encounters at turn 1.

At higher levels it can let you end a fight a few turns early or disable mooks, both of which are valuable.
>>
>>53753108

>phoenix sorcerer
>ignite

How do I abuse this as much as possible?
>>
>>53756374
Sorcerers are rare and most people have little or no access to anything magical.

Don't let the fact that Geralt just happens to know everyone who matters in the setting fool you.
>>
>>53756366
It's not great at high levels but it's still essential
>>
>>53756431
They kinda fucked with this too much in the games. Every fucking town in Witcher 3 had a Witch, a Mage or whatever doing a bunch of shit that was widely visible from miles around as fucking magic.
>>
File: 8483_ca25_500.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
8483_ca25_500.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>53756318
>tfw a Witcher pen and paper has been in the works for a couple of years
>tfw the updates are very slow

https://rtalsoriangames.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/witcher-dev-notes-1/
https://rtalsoriangames.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/witcher-dev-note-15-world-states/
>>
>>53756363
One table I play at has a method to spending HD in combat. It's called "Adrenaline" or something, and basically you can use your reaction to roll a single HD (without CON mod) any time you take damage, provided the damage doesn't drop you to 0. After combat you gain 1 level of exhaustion per die after the first. It's okish.
>>
>>53754996
Scarper, Montgomery
>>
>>53755541
get levels in sea sorc and push people 30+feet / attack
>>
File: 1486346994667.jpg (79KB, 831x445px) Image search: [Google]
1486346994667.jpg
79KB, 831x445px
Rolled 12 (1d12)

Since tonight is slow as hell let's spice this up:

1. Barbarian
2. Bard
3. Cleric
4. Druid
5. Fighter
6. Monk
7. Paladin
8. Ranger
9. Rogue
10. Sorcerer
11. Warlock
12. Wizard

Roll to pick a class and then complain about it.
>>
>>53756481
>mentioning the RTG Witcher game
No, stop. You'll summon the Poles, who'll bitch that they're making a new one instead of translating the old Polish one.
>>
File: ripple.png (275KB, 494x364px) Image search: [Google]
ripple.png
275KB, 494x364px
I'm newfag; is this spell any good?
>>
What are the best things a martial can do when he ends up with a magic item that grants flying?
>>
>>53756608

Do they have a Belt of X strength? Do they have any ways to augment how much they can carry? Are they high strength?

If yes to all; carry very large rocks or heavy items (anvil!) inside your bag of holding, pull them out and drop them on enemies from high above.

IF your DM is a cunt and makes everything happen indoors, get that faggot in the robes to stone shape etc the battlefield so you can fly up and drop rocks and anvils on your opponents.
>>
>>53756608
are you a ranged martial or a melee martial?
Ranged: you should have a crossbow and sharpshooter, just shoot people all day.
Melee: grapple, fly your speel upward and drop for 1d6/10ft of falling distance. If they're still grappled on your next turn dash and fly upward even further, then if they finally break out of the grapple they fall and take 1d6/10ft of fall distance.
>>
>>53756608

Goliath Barbarian, Eagle Totem (just in case you can't get an item that gives flight.) Raging gives Advantage on Strength related stuff, Goliath makes your carrying capacity one size larger. Pick up the biggest fucking rocks you can and drop them on anyone, anything, that gets in your path.

For all the demiplane making teleporting animating dead scrying bumfuckery a Wizard might do, never underestimate a flying primitive dropping rocks on you like a meteor cast down by an angry god.
>>
>>53756363
The point is that the healing surge value was a meaningful portion of HP, the healing surge amount was useful at all levels, and the healing surge amount was a limit on daily healing instead of being unlimited or relying on the cleric's spell slots. Those are your goals. DMG's variant called healing surge is completely wrong.
>>
>>53756606
Depends on the situation? If you're surrounded and trying to escape melee combat, seems pretty good to me for a cantrip.
>>
>>53756606
No, just take the Dodge action instead. Disadvantage on ALL attacks against you without a save.
>>
>>53756645
I will look for those sorts of items, since doing my best to mimic >>53756691 sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

>>53756653
I'm a barb, and the grapple and fly sounds golden to be totally honest.
>>
>>53756606
Not so much.

It conditionally gives you a sort-of-crappy-disengage when, say, shocking grasp would do that but better, even if it affects only one target.
If you're a wizard or whatever and surrounded by enemies, just disengage/shove/dodge/whatever instead.
Use your cantrips for something that can be applied creatively like EE cantrips.
>>
>>53756606
>>53756921
Also, isn't th at homebrew?
Stop looking at homebrew, newfigger.
>>
How is combat in 5e compared to previous editions?
>>
>>53756900
Actually, the next bear totem choice doubles my carrying capacity (not that we have been paying attention to that sort of thing) so that should help me out prodigiously in dropping big ass rocks on people.
>>
>>53756955

Like a smoother 3.5e, but boring as shit compared to 4e in terms of options and tactical depth and lacking a lot of leeway for the crazy player ideas that 2e and earlier were more open to.
>>
>>53757036
Is it boring overall? Does it require more creativity from everyone?
>>
>>53757103

Depends. Some people are fine with going 'I attack with my longsword!' every round of combat with their basic bitch Champion Fighter and leaving it at that. Its nightmarishly dull for anyone who has played 4e or likes martials with lots of options (Tome of Battle, Path of War, or again, 4e.)

Its same-old same-old for anyone who plays full spellcasters (Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer.) Its fun enough for a Paladin, who is the only '''good''' martial character.

Basically, its lots of fun in a 3e way if you play a full spellcaster. Its tolerable as someone who gets spells and still fights with weapons (Eldritch Knight Fighter, Paladin, Arcane Trickster Rogue), and its miserable for everyone else (Champion and Battlemaster Fighter, all variations of Barbarian, Rogue and Monk) unless they are a newbie or braindead pleb.
>>
Anyone have the r-n-w character sheets?
>>
>>53757135
Wow you sound like you have zero imagination outside of reading the name of a spell out loud.
>>
>>53757135
That's pretty great brah, and also disappointing to hear.
We're a bunch of creative folk though so hopefully we can make it work.
>>
>>53757135
>and its miserable for everyone else
Not if you can pull some good shit off. FightGyver it, you know? Start using ropes, chains, oils, barbs, hooks, spikes, matches, ect, and you can do some pretty cool shit.

For instance, Play as a rogue who uses their bonus action to slam a glass vial of oil into an enemy, then an attack action to shoot a flintlock at an enemy behind him, while putting the flintlock near the oil, lighting the guy on fire with the spark. Or a Fighter Battlemaster using a Trip Attack, then using your Extra Attack action to tie someone up with rope.
>>
>>53757192
He's not wrong, but it comes down to how your DM sets up combat encounters.
Being a martial in an empty, featureless 30 by 30 room is suffering though.
>>
>>53757259
No DM should be running that, sounds like the DM lacks creative imagination and is retarded.
>>
>>53757135
>>53757192
>>53757249
>>53757251
Planning on running an EK that uses lightning lure as a get over here fishing reel attack.
>>
>>53757278
Fuck yeah. But you know what you should do, too?

Take Magic Initiate when you can, because you can go for Druid Cantrips. Grab Thorn Whip, which is a pure melee spell attack, instead of a STR check, and either Mending (good RP cantrip to repair weapons or armor) or Mold Earth (given prep time you can use Mold Earth to build fortifications and give your group cover).
>>
>>53757278
Our Monk initiated combat by using a grappling hook + rope to restrain someone at a distance.
Most memorable fight in the campaign.
>>
>>53757354
Bad idea; Thorn Whip keys off Wisdom.
>>
>>53757523
I guess that is true. I was looking at it as an auto pull if they fail, but as long as they're within 15 feet, Lightning Lure seems objectively better for an EK.
>>
File: 1489194821093.jpg (64KB, 359x381px) Image search: [Google]
1489194821093.jpg
64KB, 359x381px
I just realized that Warlock's gain no special invocations or bonuses against cursed magic items.

Talk about a missed opportunity.
>>
>>53757648
Magic items is a variant rule
>>
So are the guys at Wotc literally all faggots?
>>
>>53755055
The difference is basilisks were without prep time, they didn't know anything about them IC, and it was intended to be a kind of trap.
Death tyrant like I said they will be of appropriate level, and they'll know almost exactly what they're up against in preparation.
>>
When was the last time your current character got laid? What happened?
>>
Best invocations for an Chainlock who's the party face?
>>
>>53757887
The one that grants Disguise Self at will, and Beguiling Influence if you haven't the proficiencies.
>>
>>53757870
Play a rogue and it happens as often as he can.
He's a pretty lonely guy and makes up for it with as many ladies as possible.

Last time was I think two sessions ago.
>what happened?
Nothing out of the ordinary. We usually just do some sort of role for persuasion if necessary, then fade to black. Has been useful to not pay for the cost of an inn from time to time.
>>
>>53757838
No. You are.
>>
>>53757901
Yeah, this. Disguise self at will is so fucking useful to be honest. That is, unless your campaign is just about going into dungeons and killing non-humanoid creatures.
>>
>>53757901
>>53757918
Is it still useful if I'm small sized? The foot limitation seems bad.

Though Gnomes are really common in the setting.
>>
>>53757901
>Beguiling Influence if you haven't the proficiencies
If you already do have a proficiency in one ask your DM if you can take it and move your current proficiency to something else.

i.e., Background gave you a Persuasion proficiency, you take Beguiling Influence, you ask your DM to move your background's Persuasion proficiency to Intimidation when you take the invocation. He'll probably allow it.
>>
>>53756496
Sounds fun. But the exhaustion mechanic is waaay to steep of a price. I would believe that loosing a hit die is enough.
>>
>>53757918
Disguise self + friend is fun
>>
>>53757910
Okay.
But I mean it seriously.
Perkins is gay, mearls seems gay and has a rainbow dragon picture.
And Crawford used the phrase "fellow LGBTQ" in a tweet. Implying he's apart of that circle.
>>
>>53757930
Less useful, to be honest. Fact is most people you'll want to disguise yourself as will probably be medium sized.
However, it's still useful to look different if needed. You can incite a riot or some shit without using your true face.
>>53757943
yeah I love this combo
>>
>>53757945
Mearl has a wife and a child. Supporting LGBTQ doesn't mean he is one.
>>
File: 1479935517991.png (375KB, 681x603px) Image search: [Google]
1479935517991.png
375KB, 681x603px
>RING OF SPELL STORING
>Ring, rare (requires attunement)
This ring stores spells cast into it, holding them until the attuned wearer uses them. The ring can store up to 5 levels worth of spells at a time. When found, it contain ld6 - I levels of stored spells chosen by the DM.
>Any creature can cast a spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast. The spell has no effect, other than to be stored in the ring. If the ring can't hold the spell, the spell is expended without effect. The level of the slot used to cast the spell determines how much space it uses.
>While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell. The spell cast from the ring is no longer stored in it, freeing up space.

How much would you say that a Ring of Spell Storing would cost? It's on page 192 of the DMG.
>>
>>53757984
That's fine then.
Although, I know a man irl that has a wife and three children and is a massive homo.
>>
>>53757992
MSM isn't homo anon.
>>
>>53757990
It depends on your economy. Which is usually DM fiat.
I tend to think of a gold piece as the equivalent of 1 gp as 10 dollars in my setting.
>>
I'm a Tome Warlock 3 with 18 Cha, got the best scores of my party, so I'm not planning to get the ASI.
I was thinking about picking Magic Initiate for Wiz (Mage Hand, Message) and Absorb Elements as the 1st level spell
This way I'll have 8 cantrips by 4th level (3 from Warlock, 3 from Tome, 2 from feat) and a survivability tool.

Anyone got any suggestions for fun/utility build here?
Also, do I cast Absorb Elements before or after I know the damage rolled? Like, could I wait and see if it rolled high?
>>
>>53757999
You lost me.
>>
>>53757990
Instead of setting up a price, make it a side quest or something. It's more interesting and memorable that way.
>>
>>53758025
It says
>when you take cold, fire etc. damage you can use a reaction to cast
iic. So, that being the case. I'd say sure, you can wait and see what damage you took.
>>
>>53758027
MSM - Male who has Sex with Male

They usually identify themselves as straight (and usually with female spouse) but has sex with another male just for fun / bonding.
>>
>>53758053
That's gay, anon. That's super gay.
>>
>>53757945
Is Perkins actually gay?
>>
>>53757984
>Supporting LGBTQ doesn't mean he is one.

Nah but having a rainbow flag background makes you a massive cuck.
>>
>>53758053
Oh right. I forgot people like to twist the meaning of words these days.

No, it's super fucking gay. And you're a faggot for knowing what MSM even stands for in that regard.
>>
File: 1495866437598.png (92KB, 209x396px) Image search: [Google]
1495866437598.png
92KB, 209x396px
>>53757990
>group might be approaching an area with a dungeon
>was considering making a few rings at random as the reward and proof of completing it
I can't believe I glossed over this but now it's time to find some spells that aren't over the top for a group of martials.
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>>53757990
>Buying magic items

Don't allow this. Players will whine about the price, and buying power is not a legitimate progression system.

You should, however, allow magic items to be found during adventures.

But I fucking hope that if you find a magic sword on some guy he was using it the entire time and it wasn't locked in his secret chest, I mean wtf nigga why would an enemy have magic items and purposefully not use them. Check yourself.
>>
>>53753108
Yes. my world only has humans, dwarves and elves. Dwarves and elves have some additional roleplay restrictions as well ( dwarves must keep all promises, contracts and bets they make or suffer bodily harm. elves can only speak the technical truth )
Elves can't be Paladins or clerics. Dwarves can't be wizards or sorcerers.
Humans have some regional restriction, i.e. all green paladins and druids must come from a certain island.
>>
>>53758081
He might be in medical school, nursery, or whatever. They use the term for blood collection.
>>
>>53758100
Ahhh fuck off. Giving players gold that they can spend on magic items they come across is fine as a form of opportunity cost. You're essentially just giving them a choice between two or more items they might want instead of saying "here you go you beat the guy."

You never pick items that are gonna break your game but you do pick interesting ones. Also, it's a good idea to never have magic items stay in one place for long if you're gonna let them buy them.

>you can spend all of your 3000 gp today on this fancy sword
>or you can buy some health potions that might save you from a tpk instead
>I'll come back for the sword later
No you won't. That was your chance.
>>
>>53758100
>Don't allow this. Players will whine about the price, and buying power is not a legitimate progression system.

So what do you DO with a magic item you are not going to be using if magic items can't be bought or sold?
>>
>>53758100
>But I fucking hope that if you find a magic sword on some guy he was using it the entire time and it wasn't locked in his secret chest, I mean wtf nigga why would an enemy have magic items and purposefully not use them. Check yourself.
That's why you should never find magic items on living people, only skeletons.
>>
>>53758169
But skeletons aren't real, anon...
>>
>>53758100
>Don't allow this. Players will whine about the price, and buying power is not a legitimate progression system.

>players will whine about the price
Not if you're clear that they can shut the fuck up about it. Whining about optional magic items you add to the game is a good way to provoke someone into never rewarding you with any magic items.
Have trust between DM and Player.

Anyway. It's not like they can metagame if you're the DM and you're not letting them just pick out of the list of all magic items. You set the stock. You make the rules.
>>
File: spooky.gif (3MB, 230x173px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.gif
3MB, 230x173px
>>53758182
There's a skeleton inside you right now.
>>
>>53758100
>buying power is not a legitimate progression system.
What do you think about buying exp with gold?
>>
File: not a skeleton.jpg (291KB, 601x1000px) Image search: [Google]
not a skeleton.jpg
291KB, 601x1000px
>>53758182
>But skeletons aren't real, anon...
Then what is this!
>>
>>53758207
That's Bonedog.
>>
>>53755650
In games etc hydromancer has always been a mage who uses water based spells.
>>
I'm a level 4 circle of the land (forest) druid. I'm trying to figure out which cantrip I should pick for when I get to pick another one. I'm having a hard time because there are a lot to choose from and they all sound so good. This is my first time playing DND so I don't really know from experience if any of these are as good as they sound.
Right now I have
>Minor Illusion (forest gnome)
>Druidcraft
>Mending
>Mold Earth
>Thorn Whip

The DM is also giving me a one time opportunity to switch out any cantrips I don't like at level 5, since we're all new players and we all made little mistakes in building our characters.
I'm thinking of taking a better damage cantrip since most of my current ones are utility, but I'm not too sure.

Any must-have cantrips?
Any shit ones to avoid/switch out? I've heard mold earth is meh, but DM lets me do some interesting stuff with it when I think outside the box

Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
What do melee martials do when they're fighting a beholder 60 feet off the ground?
>>
>>53758461
Cry tears of impotent rage while all the casters and ranged classes fight it
>>
>>53758461
Jump and strike. There a jump spell for a reason.
>>
>>53758488
>>53758461
>>53758492
The martials have pretty good ranged attack options.
>>
>>53758125
Phlebotomy? Cuz Fuck my lab techs, they're lazy as Fuck. Bitch no I can't get your draws for you, I'm busy with the ekg and vitals.
>>
>>53758461
Ask your DM where the fuck is the cool lair that has environment you can use.

Also javelins, arrows, etc.
There's a reason you have proficiency with "marital weapons" and not just "big sword."
>>
>>53758461
> Not carrying ranged weapon with you
That's your own fault.
>>
>>53758563
But anon! There's no point even bothering with the attack with only a 14 DEX! That -3 to hit is the most debilitating thing ever and you should kill yourself for having the gall to suggest something other then GWM+PAM.
>>
>>53758461
Does Mage Slayer work on hovering?
>>
Why the fuck do Warlocks start with 4 weapons?
>>
So I'm playing a Barbarian with the Criminal background. Since we roll for personality traits, my Barbarian is always calm, never raises his voice and doesn't let his emotions control him.

Question is, how should I play this out while raging? It's not like you can calmly enter rage. The way I see it, he doesn't let his emotions control him but rather he uses them to his advantage, i.e. 'rage is not an emotion but a way of life'. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>53758635
It's not a Rage, so much as a Focus.

He loses all expression, doesn't say a word, stops blinking, breathes in perfect pace and moves in the exact perfect way. Pain doesn't cause him to flinch, the wounds and pain don't even register to him compared to his shear focus on murdering anyone around him.
>>
File: read the phb.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
read the phb.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>53758635
battle trance, like the example in the barbarian description.
>>
>>53758585
Throw the arrows with your strength. Fuck em up.

Real talk though. Would it be unbalanced to allow bows to use strength? Makes perfect sense imo. Bow draw and all that. But balance wise, would be fine, right?
Maybe no heavy armor allowed if that seems weird?
>>
>>53758635
But that's the secret, Cap. If you're a Barbarian, you're always angry.
>>
>>53758798
>I don't GET angry because I'm always angry to begin with!
>>
>>53758141
>>53758100
>>53758183
Objectively what is even the point of finding large amounts of gold?

Once you've bought your plate armor and longbow, there's not much left.

Sure you could buy castle and make a base if you're into that kinda thing.

I have a player that is investing money for a 1% return per annum.
>>
>>53758183
>It's not like they can metagame if you're the DM and you're not letting them just pick out of the list of all magic items. You set the stock. You make the rules.

Sure but your stock is going to be guided by what you think will be useful to the players.
>>
>>53758921
Gold exists for wizards, who can directly convert it into more power.
>>
>>53758921
>Players never bribe monsters because they think they have the right to automatically win all fights without having to use such extremes
>>
>>53758926
>Sure but your stock is going to be guided by what you think will be useful to the players.
Not necessarily. Some DMs roll randomly, but then take out stock they feel would be too good or not appropriate.

>>53758921
Investing in the world with your money is a great thing to do. Buying servants and shit is also a thing. Hire mercenaries of your own to do shit for you.
>>
>>53758921
Drugs and bitches

Material components for spells. Cleric cant resurrect you, if he doesnt have the required diamonds.

What a ripoff.
>>
>>53758921
In the campaign I'm playing in, the only way to level up is by spending gold at a rate of 1 GP per XP, which is also limited to only a few thousand per long rest (depending on how you roll, also long rests take a week). Gold is actually useful but everything goes so slowly.

>been playing for 2 years
>level 3 party
>>
>>53759157
New thread.
>>
>>53759135
>2 years
>level 3
>5e

fuuuuck that.
>>
>>53758795
It would totally be fine for bows to be finesse weapons, or maybe have certain classes (Barbarian and maybe Fighter mostly) be allowed to use them as such. You'd still be taking a damage penalty as a primarily Strength-based martial since GWM or PAM doesn't work with it, unless you also took the Sharpshooter feat.

Current balance really favors Dex-based martials too much.
>>
>>53759180
I think so too. Would also allow for more arrow-barbs.
BUT they take the penalty of not being allowed to add rage to it. Which makes sense.
>>
File: 215-hank-hill-smoking.jpg (27KB, 364x366px) Image search: [Google]
215-hank-hill-smoking.jpg
27KB, 364x366px
>>53758921
>Be ascetic monk
>never have to pay for any upkeep
>spend all my money on carnal pleasures; fast airships, loose women, mountains of traveler's dust, and as many solid gold jewel encrusted mansions to hold it all
>>
>>53758100
>buying power is not a legitimate progression system
So what about buying armor? Weapons? What about mercenaries? Where are these magic items coming from? Where's all the Wizards taking CWI and trying to get rich?
>>
>>53758089
booming blade is good for warcasters if you allow cantrips to take up 1/2 a slot in the ring.
>>
>>53754193
Swords or Valor Bard, Swashbucklers work as well.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.