[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 373
Thread images: 28

File: Xanathar.jpg (783KB, 640x1445px) Image search: [Google]
Xanathar.jpg
783KB, 640x1445px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Archive of Shitposting:
>>53637363

What are you more excited for: Tomb of Annihilation or Xanathar's Guide to Everything?
>>
First for BATTLEMASTER
>>
>>53644724
Both really. The hype is fucking real.
>>
I'm making a 11th level Eldritch Knight. My spell list looks like this:
>Cantrips: booming blade, blade ward
>1st level: absorb elements, shield, tasha's hideous laughter, thunderwave
>2nd level: blur, misty step

Which other spells should I pick? Still have to choose 1 cantrip and 2 spells up to 2nd level. Most of the abjuration/evocation ones look kinda useless to me, though.
>>
>>53644724
Excitement for seeing interesting UA classes published officially counteracted by the potential for seeing them messed up or having the worst ones picked (Cavalier) over ones I cared about.
>>
>>53644809
>What are you more excited for: Tomb of Annihilation or Xanathar's Guide to Everything?

I've basically lost all interest in wizards products after seeing how they're butchering everything interesting they've done.
>>
>>53644809
I'm guessing that the three revised subclasses we saw in the most recent UA are not being included in the Guide to Everything, or at least aren't being considered until they reach a point where they receive enough positive feedback, which is why they were revised int he first place.
>>
>>53644874
Based on the product page, Cavalier is in for sure.
>>
Reposting in new thread:
Okay I have a problem I intend to fix with a mass distribution of a duplicate magic item.

Basically my party made a shit composition, and they are struggling to deal any real amount of damage comparable to their level. I haven't had this issue before, and it is causing problems in my encounter building.

Basically, they will grind down the enemies slowly through mass amounts of control, but if they run out of resources or get a few unlucky casts (enemies saves too much, etc), they crumble very quickly. The party is:
Shadow Monk (only playing doing somewhat okay, but refuses to use weapons. Not much of a problem here at level 8 anymore.)
Bladelock (20 Dex, 16 Cha, refuses to use EB.)
Spellsinger (player who really shouldn't have picked a wizard, and hoped the CC ability made up for him being terrible at utilizing magic)
Valor Bard (strength grappler, mostly fine as well, but the utility is lost when the damage isnt there to follow up on it.

They are doing mostly fine, but even encounters that shouldnt be more than average in difficulty at worst, can quite quickly turn into a near-TPK because of how squishy they are, and how low their damage output is.

So I am crafting myself a magic item to give to everybody. The idea right now is:
>Bracers of Zephyrs Wrath
>+1 to hit, and can make 1 additional attack on any attack action.
They are aiding some spirits right now, and this would be a thematic reward. It should solve their low damage output somewhat, while being possible to throw to literally everyone in the party.

Thoughts? Basically assume that the above mentioned party is dumb as shit, so their builds are really fucking terrible.
>>
>>53644871
Keep being autistic and cynical.
>>
>>53644914
>have everything headed for the printing press
>put out revised content for """""testing""""" even though they can't revise it now
>everyone calls your work boring because you just made battlemaster 2.0
They brought this on themselves.
>>
>>53644919
That's a dangerously powerful item for tier 2 heroes that will only be more dangerous in the future, IMO. I would rather scale down enemies or think of a completely different approach to combat on monsters side, if it is possible to do without being detrimental to already ongoing campaign.
>>
>>53644790
blade word is useless, just take minor illusion, or flame bolt for range
>>
>>53644919
>assume the above mentioned party is dumb as shit, so their builds are really fucking terrible

Then I have to assume that the party will misuse whatever extra attacks you give them. Also, this kind of solution will just make the party feel like you're taking pity on them, rather than being fair. Consider instead setting control goals for combat encounters. For example: If X enemies are grappled, restrained, petrified, etc, at the same time, the remaining enemies attempt to retreat.

Alternatively, add environmental features to make up for damage.

Or finally, and most simply, reduce HP values behind the scenes. Start at 3/4ths HP, and adjust up or down til you get the balance right.

>>53644934
Hasn't failed me yet.
>>
>>53644724
Quick question anons? How broken would it be to give all fighter archetypes superiority dice like the battlemaster? Just asking because other archetypes feel bland as hell compared to BM.
>>
>>53644919
For what it's worth this is an ideal stealth/face group. Have you tried Shadowrun type missions that are in and out with only a little combat?
>>
>>53644989
It isn't broken at all, and IMO is how the fighter was meant to be, before the "if an option is there, I have to take it, even if I don't want to take it, so remove options from everything" crowd complained.
>>
>>53644919
I'm against giving identical items to every character, it makes it feel way less special. If you really want to do something like this, offer each of them a unique magic item, think of Galadriel's gifts to the fellowship in LotR.

Give the bracers to whoever looks like they're trying to be the big hard hitter; The fighter/barbarian or whatever.

Honestly, I'd suggest just keeping everything the way it is, let your players almost die, as long it's dramatic for them, and they're having fun. If you really feel like a change must be made, try doing it on your end first. It's way easier (and more fun for everyone) to fix a problem by adjusting enemy stats than it is to fix it by having to adjust wonky magic items you gave to your party in desperation.
>>
>>53645007
thanks anon thats what i thought as well.
>>
Guys, see if you can help me out here:

From time to time I like to do some exercises as a DM, to make the game more interesting.

Right now I'm planning to, next session, convince my players not to kill a group of extremely killable NPCs.

What's the catch?
>my players are extremely prone to violence
>these guys kidnapped a PC's sister
>they are some idiot rich kids (young adults)
>they're in the wilderness in a lawless place
>they're weaker than the party
>I don't want to use metagaming and railroading
>only genuinely interesting and logical narrative elements

>But why though?
I think it's fun to, from time to time, shake things at the table and present different solutions to these players, this gets them used to thinking out of the box, which is a thing that this group in particular usually doesn't do. The last few times I did something similar it was great. I want them to be in a situation where violence would be a very easy and desirable solution, but if they keep calm and wait a bit they can take home even greater rewards.
>>
Are centaurs too much for a level 1 party?
>>
>>53644972
Cool. Also, any feats I should take? Already have War Caster, going battleaxe and shield.
>>
>>53644966
The Monster Hunter was battlemaster 2.0 and it was fucking nice. The Cavalier is based around a dungeon liability and even then it will never be able to do what the Paladin does as an afterthought. I don't get it. I never saw a single person nostalgic for the AD&D Cavalier.
>>
>>53645042
once the shit hits the fan, have them beg and grovel to try and avoid the assblasting they are about to endure.
>>
>>53645042
The kids are the children of a powerful cabal of wizard merchants, who will use everything in their power to hunt down whoever kills them.
>>
>>53645042
Sounds simple. If they opt for violence and kill the fuckers, they just made some enemies with power and wealth among the nobility / merchants. If they don't, and manage to teach a lesson to the rich kids and still bring them back alive, their families are extremely grateful that the situation was dealt with in a discreet and peaceful manner, and will reward the PCs.
>>
>>53645069
Once again the autist fails to grasp there being anything that could bother a person beside their character dying.
>>
I really don't know how to feel about this Eldritch Smite. On one hand, I really like that it's universal and does the same amount of damage as a Paladin's. But on the other hand, I don't particularly like it being once per turn or being limited strictly to Warlock slots.
>>
>>53645056
A housecat is too much for a level 1 party.
>>
>>53645056
any combat at 1st level is basically a coin flip of whether or not the party will get completely destroyed or not, even against weak creatures like dogs, wolves, bugs, etc.
>>
>>53645120
>>53645144
Then how do you handle a level 1 party?
>>
I'm wanting to run a custom class for my first ever game of d&d. You guys care to take a look at the class I plan on using and tell me if it's balanced?
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spellblade_(5e_Class)
>>
>>53645056
It would depend on what you want to do with said centaurs. If they're out to kill the level 1 party, chances are the CR 2 centaurs are going to do such a thing. If you plan on having them being reasoned with, it might be a good idea to layer on that "this guys look pretty gnarly."
>>
>>53645042
>>these guys kidnapped a PC's sister
Unless you pull something horrible and cliche ("Brother I LOVE him"), or a hostage situation that will only delay the inevitable, then they are already dead and your hamfisted morality lesson won't work.
>>
>>53645150
There's a couple of options:

>Don't
Start them at a higher level, level 3 is usually around where most characters can start to actually do anything

>Deal with it
Have you characters fight some weak and/or dumb creatures and hope for the best. Goblins/wolves/etc work well, but will usually knock a character out in 1 or 2 hits, and can lead to a TPK quickly dependent on dice rolls.

>Avoid combat/use milestone levels
Award players enough XP to gain a level or two to start out by completing important roleplaying goals, without necessarily having to have them fight.
>>
So are there penalties for young/old anymore? My Wild Sorc is back to being a teenager, and I know in 3.5E there used to be stat adjustments, but couldn't really find anything.
>>
>>53645165
Just go hexblade bladelock
>>
>>53645057
shield master is cool, bonus action to shove opponent prone and then booming blade them with advantage or hit them a bunch with a sword
>>
>>53644871
Lol, ok cool guy
>>
>>53645221
Not as written, no. In the game I DM for, my wizard player rolled a d100 for his age and rolled an 89 and stuck with it. We all find it super funny that an 89 year old man somehow became a level 1 wizard.
>>
>>53645112
That's a lot of implications!

>>53645165
It's danddwiki, a website with material only slightly less imbalanced than the average UA. This one is more well done than others on that site. There are a lot of technical issues with the class, but I don't see why it couldn't be tweaked to fit a campaign.
>>
>>53645294
>It's danddwiki, a website with material only slightly less imbalanced than the average UA.
Are you fucking high?
>>
>>53645253
It's like those grandpas that go back to highschool for their GED
>>
>>53644972
Its slightly less useless with an ek.
You can give yourself resistance for a turn and get a single attack. Probably only good for tanking a single enemy (its more effective to mow down mobs with all your attacks/gfb+attack
>>
>>53645064
Naturally. I don't think it'll be enough, though.
>>53645111
Along the lines of what I was thinking initially. I was thinking that they could also offer services to the PCs. Like horses, housing, cohorts and spell uses.
>>53645187
>hamfisted morality lesson
If that's what you take from my post.
>>
>>53645165
>dandwiki

No
>>
Please answer the survey. Don't let redditor who can't into math win.
>>
>>53644989
Just give all the other fighter archetypes the Martial Adept feat for free
>>
>>53645294
Thanks for the input. One thing I noticed was how unclear it is on how many spell slots it gets per level. At first I thought it was literally just 4 spells lots of fifth level at higher levels, but that's way too low. Also the arcane versatility thing is weird and I planned on ignoring it anyway. Anything else in particular that you think could be improved?
>>
>>53644588
>>53644657
I think people also tend to forget that Swashbuckler can't do anything against 1v2+
>>
>>53644724
What kinds of reptiles can a lizardfolk druid turn into besides a crocodile at lvl4. Cause i want to make one that only turns into other reptiles cause why would i turn into a shitty soft skin

Also does my natural ac calc work while wildshaped
>>
>>53645165
Don't try to play custom class in your first game.

Also never use dandwiki. They don't have QC and any 13 years old can put up their OP wetdream class on there.

Example: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Meme_Master_(5e_Class)
>>
>>53645405
I don't think there's any other reptile in the MM, but you could probably make a small dinosaur or something that isn't too powerful.
>>
>>53644790
Bumping for spell ideas

Also I just realized how great Expeditious Retreat is on a fighter. Great to close in on any kiting sonuvabich.
>>
>>53645435
For shame wotc
>>
>>53645398
Depends on positioning and even then Swashbucklers have the same (admittedly limited) tools that other Rogues have for trying to get sneak attack solo and they still great mobility. However, Inquisitive does get a decent damage bonus that Swashbucklers don't.
>>
>>53645387
>>53645294
>>53645165
Self shilling on dandwiki content isn't appreciate here. At least you /u/unearthedarcana or something.
>>
>>53645294
>thats a lot of implications

Well I am shitposting especially hard today.
>>
>>53645424
I've seen some of the things on there: saiyan, witcher, naruto ninja. I'm aware that there's a lot of trash that needs to be sifted through, I just wanna know if the spellblade class is at least usably balanced, even if I have to fix or add some things.
>>53645460
Not self shilling, I legitimately want to use this class.
>>
>>53645459
I mean you are right, but most people see

> In addition, you don't need advantage on your attack roll to use your Sneak Attack if no creature other than your target is within 5 feet of you.

As "Sneak attack ALL THE TIME", and not realizing that 2 enemies standing next to each other disable Swashbuckler's ability.
>>
>>53645497
> First ever game of d&d
> Fixing custom content

???

BTW, the spell thingy is just a copy paste off warlock. If you didn't even realize that, you are pretty much don't have enough system mastery to tweak or custom stuff.
>>
>>53645499
It's having two creatures standing next to *you*, not to the target. They swapped that from the UA version.
>>
>>53645424
I legitimately laughed reading through that.
>>
>>53644966
>have everything headed for the printing press

It doesn't come out until November. They aren't headed anywhere yet.
>>
DMs: what can I do as a player that will enhance my roleplaying potential for my character but not step on your toes?

I write a lot of shit for my character, because I have a lot of free time on my hands. She used to write little love notes for her patron (she's a warlock for an Archfey lord). I also tend to churn out short stories that further explore her headspace in a way that the character isn't currently able to explore in D&D sessions (she's hiding her craziness from the rest of the party for right now), for the benefit of the DM so he can potentially exploit her mental state later. Right now I'm working on a long-form story that explores her earlier life a bit.

I'm also working on drawing portraits of the other party members.
>>
What are some fun class ideas for a fisherman?
>>
Sup.
>>
>>53645599
You sound like a great player and should feel great. Keep it up and discuss all of it with your DM - but without trying to mash your backstory into his plot/world. If your DM deserves you the slightest - he will weave the best bits of your character into the story himself.
>>
>>53644969
Considering the classes I am not worried about the future. They have their extra attack and wont get more. That's ths issue with their builds. They scale terribly.

>>53644987
Can't really misuse extra attacks.

But I see your point. Nerfing the HP pools might be a better way to go about it, or just making them have different kinds of goals in a fight.

>>53644992
No, mostly because the player generally prefers to fight. Like
>Spirits are being drained away by destructive removal of large parts of a forest (explosives etc)
>Party ambushes them and tries to kill them all
>never even talked to them
They are very much the "murderhobos" we all know and love.
But the idea would be nice, if a tad difficult to pull off in a fantasy setting contra SR.

>>53645008
They are a frustrated about the difficulty, so this is mostly to help remove at least some of that frustration.

But I see yoir point about it being boring to get the same item. I often just feel like I either have to be heavy handed in the items (You get 4 magic items that SPECIFICALLY CAN ONLY BE USED BY 4 SIFFERENT CLASSES THAT HAPPENS TO BE YOURS) or they will try to distribute them differently, often with terrible results.

None of them have magic items so far though, so maybe just giving them a good unique one would be fine. That's just a lot more work than making a single item, wew.
>>
>>53645599
I'd exploit your cute warlock any day desu
>>
>>53645424
I should talk to my group about making a one-shot using the most awful dandwiki shit they can find
>>
>>53645583
There are stuff they must do after printing too. This is why hardcover books are lame.
>>
>>53645640
>but without trying to mash your backstory into his plot/world
The fuck?
No, he should totally try to make it fit within the DMs world. Obviously he shouldn't try to make up insane shit like "and I'm the number 1 best fighting guy ever and everyone knows me." But the worst thing to do would be make up places that don't exist and forcing the DM to add those places to his setting.
>>
File: 111.png (226KB, 507x199px) Image search: [Google]
111.png
226KB, 507x199px
>>53645535
>>
>>53645640
My DM is pretty cool. I might be biased because he's my SO. I just worry I might be overwhelming him with the stuff I write. It takes him a while to get around to reading a short story, for example--usually a few days after I've written it. (And by short story, I mean two pages in single-spaced Arial 11pt font.) We also do talk about D&D fairly often outside of sessions.
>>
Would I be doing my group a disservice if I went druid of the land and only used ice/water/healing spells for thematic purposes? And also ignored wildshape completely because shapeshifting is dumb.For this particular character.
>>
>>53645695
I'd just tell your DM you enjoy writing these things (he probably knows you do, obviously). And if he ever sees something he doesn't like/disagrees with then you're willing to change it to fit his world.

If I were your DM I'd fucking love you. Even going so far as to giving you ideas and information about the setting and seeing if you'd like to worldbuild parts of it yourself and collaborate setting ideas.
>>
>>53645679
Depending on context even stuff like that can be credible. In a feudalesque setting, "I am the best of my king's knights" can be fitting if the game is starting at mid levels. A level 4 mastermind rogue with Silver Tongue and Actor who rolled for stats and got some insane bullshit for Cha score can probably get away with "I am one of the thieves guild's most trusted spies", given the setting is not very high power
>>
>>53645618
Earth/Fire Genasi that just fucking insists on doing so
>>
>>53645526
Hence why I asked if anything in particular needs fixing.
>>
>>53645703
Talk to your DM about making flavor changes in certain spells so they apply
>>
>>53645679
By 'mash' I meant really just forcing it, leaving DM with no other choice in interpretation, etc. If it all goes voluntarily between two of them - it's all good. Even giving ideas for new weird places is good - at least if it's a homebrew setting in development.

>>53645695
You just keep doing you, and DM will come around to it. My wife came up with a few pieces of her character's backstory that eventually led me to actually define my setting, create an overarching plot in that one campaign and across all of those that I already did and intend to do in the future.

Here's to the players and loved ones who inspire us for greatness in our hobby... Instead of making us miserable and turn our games into new ways of whining about stuff.
>>
>>53645692
Scenario: you have two enemies adjacent to you: Attack one to trigger Fancy Footwork, then shift around the other and attack it for sneak attack.

Scenario: you have three adjacent enemies and you are not in a corner: Disengage as a bonus action then sneak attack one after you shift to where only one is adjacent. Then you run because Rogues get squishy versus mobs.

Scenario: you are cornered or surrounded by three or more adjacent enemies: bonus action to boost Acrobatics or Disengage then tumble over the group as a movement action, then use remaining movement and Action to run the hell away and go into kiting/sniping mode.
>>
>>53644989
The only ones with huge issues are Champion and PDK. All other fighters have their own system of short/long rest special attacks and passives.

Battlemaster gets better burst attacks but zero passives. Filling a jack-of-all trades role compared to Knights, Monster Hunters, Arcane Archers and Cavaliers.
>>
>>53645695
>We also do talk about D&D fairly often outside of sessions.
Must be nice. Most I get out of the first group I'm in is non-stop stereotypes about our characters that no one lives up to, but that might change this upcoming session.
>>
>>53645760
It's not too bad but it's definitely rough around the edges and borrows liberally from warlocks. If you want a cha-based gish and don't like paladins you still have bladelock and stone sorcerer
>>
>>53645703
Why not nature cleric, then? But yes, it could work. Just compromise to use wild shape for exploring and utility stuff.
>>
>>53645695
>a player showing this much interest in story stuff

And people say there are no more heroes.
>>
>>53645703
I've always felt non-moon Druids should get a Variant choice that replaces Shapeshift on a short rest cooldown, even something as simple as "you can regain X spell slots/gain X temp HP"
>>
>>53645825
Doesn't necessarily have to be cha based, the abilities just meshed well with my character's background that I wrote up.
>>
>>53645858
But they do, anon!

>Starling at 2nd level, you can regain some of your magical energy by sitting in meditation and communing with nature. During a short rest, you choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your druid level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest
>>
Give me ideas for my pimped out mobile-home carriage.
>>
>>53645858
>>53645882
Wait, misunderstood you. Disregard me.
Additional feature instead of Wildshape would actually be kinda cool.
>>
>>53645858
Same. There should be a wildshapeless variant.
Nature cleric lacks the spells druid has access too, and their short rest is even worse.
Fucking charming plants and animals. Who thought that would be a good idea?
>>
>>53645794
>My wife came up with a few pieces of her character's backstory that eventually led me to actually define my setting, create an overarching plot in that one campaign and across all of those that I already did and intend to do in the future.
GMs don't normally do this?

What. I thought this was common practise. Literally did this the first time I ever played, and done it every time ever since.

Why the fuck would you NOT use the ideas the players have? I don't
>>
>>53645757
Those aren't classes.
>>
Is my con modifier retroactive for my hit points?

So if I have a modifier of 1 at level 3, then it goes up to 2 at level 4, do I gain the hit points I would have for a 2 modifier at levels 1-3?
>>
So how do you deck out a monster's spells without making them too strong, like hags?

>>53645904
Some players don't give GMs anything to work with.
>>
>>53645618
Kensai monk.
>>
>>53645879
In that case, you have the additional choices of a melee cleric or a bladesinger (even though bladesingers in melee is silly from what I've heard of the archetype), hard to say without more information about the character
>>
>>53645901
>Fucking charming plants and animals. Who thought that would be a good idea?
True, but the rest of the domain is incredibly solid. Shillelagh for those Wisdom-based attacks, elemental resistance on your reaction (this is really amazing), and flexible divine strike.
>>
>>53645854
That's really sweet of you to say, anon. I guess it helps that my DM and I sat down and I told him the character concept I wanted to play: an old(er) character that once was magically powerful but lost their power for one reason or another.

Now I'm playing an old elf woman who has lost almost all of her memories, but despite that, she just wants to find her Archfey love again after being apart from him for almost half a century. His soul might be trapped inside of her Book of Shadows, and that's why he hasn't responded to any of her pleas for acknowledgment. I don't know anything about her past except the name she went by at one point and that, as discussed, she was "powerful." How, I don't know.

It's been such a fun time, and I can't seem to stop writing about her.
>>
>>53645910
Sorry, reading on the toilet. Cleric/Favored Soul trying to fish up his god, real or not. Artificer that just needs a whole lot of fish oil for some reason. A Druid that fell in love with a fish while shapeshifted trying to reunite with it.
>>
>>53645912
y
>>
>>53645904
I generally use them inside campaigns to build plot around, that's for sure, but until that point nothing was really worthy of changing the world.
Also, there are players in my usual group who are way too obnoxious about it, creating convoluted backstories in really intentionally lighthearted games and constantly insisting I bring up their PC's teacher's wife's nephew in game every time we're in a particular town.
>>
>>53645912
Yes. PHB page 177.
>>
>>53645893
Watch og speed racer
Have easy to drop caltrops, ballbearings and oil
Have a heavy crossboe you can rig up on the door to fire when someone tries to open the door
Scythes attached to the wheels bonus if they retract easily
Put a swivel ballista on top and have ropes/chains attached to the bolts so you can drag people
Try and get something cool to pull it like a tricertops or something
>>
>>53645937
That's true, it's just a shame that two of the features are essentially dead in the water.
>>
>>53645934
Oh yeah and eldritch knight but think of that as a slow burn, tankier battlemaster with magic instead of maneuvers, rather than a spellsword
>>
>>53645939
What about a halfling beastmaster ranger with a giant crab companion with the mariner fighting style?
>>
Would it be a bad idea to increase the crit range of champions even further?

18-20 at level 3, 16-20 at level 15?
>>
>>53644919
Make a magical item for each player. The shadowmonk kan make 1 extra reaction per turn and can use the same trigger twice, the bladelock can use EB after scoring a hit (instead of dealing regular damage) once per turn, the spellsinger gains a wand or something. The bard gets a dancing and singing blade that can stab people he has grappled.
etc.
>>
>>53646002
As long as you don't fuck with the multiplier, it's honestly not much of an issue
If I've learned anything from /pfg/, it's that the Falcata is the best for a reason
>>
>>53645955
Cool ideas! I was thinking more along the lines of creature comforts though.
>>
>>53646002
I was thinking just make Remarkable Athlete a Fighter-flavor Reliable Talent.
>>
>>53645993
This reminds me. Anyone ever done the pteranodon halfling ranger?

I know it's kinda cheesy but seems like it would be a ton of fun. Probably wouldn't even use it that often to fly away, but could be nice utility.
I like the idea of a halfling ranger stuck in the wilderness. Finds a big nest with large eggs.
Steals an egg to eat. In classic comedic timing it begins hatching right as he gets the fire going. Now he has two mouths to feed. Best friends for ever after.
>>
>>53645938
It's really cool, especially if other players in the campaign are down for it and can keep up with you at least.
But, you know, it's a game, not a book. Don't get too attached to the character, everyone is mortal. And if something comes up - don't be afraid of changes in her stories status-quo. If DM decides to throw something in that changes your PCs position on something from the backstory - roll with it too. Other than that - you're already better than, probably, 80% of the players.
>>
>>53646019
At least it was an actually worthwhile exotic weapon.
Also falcatas are sexy as hell.
>>
>>53645150
>>53645215
I usually only do one advantageous fight in level 1, along with a bunch of social / invesetigative (including exploration) encounters.

Then for level 2 I only do one or two relatively easy fights, again mixed with a bunch of other stuff.

And then the pace of the adventure shifts a bit after the 'introduction'. More combat, harder combat. A bit less investigation etc.
>>
>>53646021
Alchemy jug for always on tap beer/mayo/whatever
Decanter of water for a shower
Bag of devouring as a toliet/garbage disposal
For mundane stuff think of things youd want in your house/car on a road trip
>>
Mike Mearls shows that DMs can just handwave rules aside for fun and for the story.

Chris Perkins encourages DMs to put their own spin on adventure modules instead of just sticking to them by the letter.

Don't be autistic.
>>
File: baggo.jpg (161KB, 1084x1600px) Image search: [Google]
baggo.jpg
161KB, 1084x1600px
>>53646094
Would you really make this cutie eat your shit?
>>
>>53646132
Bag of Devouring is OP if a grappler gets ahold of it.
>>
>>53646076
I made a falcata crit monster in one of /pfg/s meme games with Path of War, which pretty much makes martials into """"casters"""", in terms of action diversity
It was pretty cash, because 19-20 crit range with a 3X multi before feats is ridiculous
>>
>>53645599
General tips for players:
>Your character should have connections to the setting.
They have friends and allies, be it individuals or guilds. Or a certain place they cherish, anything.

The worst players are those who go "Oh my character is a barbarian." Okay so is he a feral northerner, a woodsman or a fury driven knight, or what? "I guess he lives in the woods." Okay, so does he frequently deal with the elves, is he part of the scouts corps? Does he have a mentor or something? "Nah he's like, living alone and travelling alone."

>You enjoy playing your character, while not hindering the fun of the other players
Pretty self explanatory. If you want to be a thief who steals from the party, you should stop if the rest of the players seem pissed off. If they're excited about catching you, you have my blessings. (But not support if they decide to rip you apart).

And for you specifically, make sure not to flood the GM with too many stories. (If he only wants one story per session, don't give him three.)
Sometimes it's better to just ask upfront how much he is okay with.
>>
>>53646025
>Have Remarkable Athlete also apply to untrained Cha skills so you can be a Chad like a real athlete
>>
>>53646227
I actually kind of like this. Champion definitely seems like the class a Chad would be.
>>
File: 12 strength.jpg (66KB, 640x414px) Image search: [Google]
12 strength.jpg
66KB, 640x414px
What does someone with 20 strength look like?
>>
>>53644809
I actually figured the revised ones would be basically guaranteed, since they're showing interest in making them playable. I especially want to play my Kenku Kensei without having to argue about UA balance as though things are somehow tuned any better in the core.
>>
>>53644724
another quick question anons. I'm working on building a kensei monk for an upcoming game. I want to know if I choose a longsword as one of my kensei weapons do I get to use my DEX for attack and damage rolls with it? Or do I still have to use a finesse weapon to have that apply?
>>
I'm mucking about making a cleric for a game I'm about to join, starting at level 6. Unintentionally, I've made an AC monster. Warforged (+1), shield (+2), forge cleric thingy (+1), platemail (18). That makes my AC 22, 24 with shield of faith. Next level I can dip into fighter and make it 25 with armoured fighting style.
>>
>>53646015
>The shadowmonk kan make 1 extra reaction per turn and can use the same trigger twice
That won't help him much. He rarely gets to use reactions, because he has mobile, and never stays in CC. His issue is damage.

>The bladelock can use EB after scoring a hit (instead of dealing regular damage) once per turn
Not very helpful when he refuses to use EB. He straight up doesn't have it.

Probably just giving him a sword that fits with his Fey Patron somehow.

>The spellsinger gains a wand or something.
Why?

That takes away the entire point of his subclass choice.
>The bard gets a dancing and singing blade that can stab people he has grappled.
That is actually a fantastic idea. Would it be too much to just let it have both of his attacks at the normal modifiers, useable as he grapples?
>>
>>53646341
>Unintentionally
Sure you did.
>>
>>53646263
> Fighter
> 14 CHARISMA
???
>>
>>53646365
Back in the day we rolled for stats and there were no charisma classes.
17 charisma and you might be able to become a paladin at least, but even then it was really unlikely.
>>
File: iCOn7gl.webm (2MB, 400x178px) Image search: [Google]
iCOn7gl.webm
2MB, 400x178px
>>53646263
>>
>>53646292
It becomes a monk weapon. Monk weapons use str or dex
>>
>>53646341
Enjoy pissing off the rest of the party as the GM:
>Ignores your character and makes all your previous AC pointless
>Ups the attack modifiers to 12+ so he can hit you, making everybody else stupidly easy to hit.
Or, what I tend to do to AC spamming faggots
>Heat Metal everywhere

This Literally can't end well for you. If you break the system like this, it will lead to a perpetual state of you being a faggot, and the GM making the game balanced, likely with your fellow players as casualties.

And you have no one to blame but yourself.
>>
>>53644724
>Add shitter Battle master
>Fuck over Warlocks with more EB support and nerfed blade options.
>Half assed summoner
Any excitement went out the window. Can't believe they thought any of yesterday's UA was good.
>>
>>53646341
What fuckwit gives level 6's platemail right in character creation? I wouldn't personally even consider it until level 7+.

Sure people may come across Plate earlier while adventuring in ways the DM never expected, but if it's a new character you shouldn't.
>>
>>53644919
id actaully kill for a party like that.
I only have a single player wh o understands the appeal of utlility and controll.
Everyone wantS to be a damage dealer. I m pretty sure our paladin quit because he realized he didnt do as much damage as the barbarian.
>>
>>53646363
By uninentionally, I mean part of the way there was unintentional. I thought a warforged cleric-blacksmith type guy would be cool, and started putting it together. When I added up my AC I was surprised by all the neat shit I got to add on, and decided to go into fighter for the +1 after the fact. (And my mistake it would actually be 26 with shield of faith, I didn't notice that forge clerics get +1 AC while wearing heavy or medium armour at level 6).

>>53646400
Of course it can't end well, being shitty and stacking ridiculous things like this always lead to backlash. But also, something something Stormwind fallacy (AC spam literally isn't even good past early levels anyways).

>>53646426
Is 1500gp a lot to have by level 6 if you don't spend it on anything else? Even with chainmail though, it's reasonably high.
>>
>>53646365
>>53646378
Henchman were vital back in the day or so the grognards tell me. Stats scaled like shit and +1 hit was nothing to a Fighter's attack table. Eventually certain Weapon Mastery tricks made strength important.
>>
What is it about Pathfinder that attracts the degenerates?
>>
>>53646448
You want at least some damage in there.

This party is terribly squishy, and if their control fails, they get dropped FAST.

Since this is about the saves, there is little they can do to control it. Just hope they get lucky, or they will risk suddenly losing 2 members.

Makes combat very frustrating because of how hit or miss it is.
>>
File: file.png (335KB, 466x580px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
335KB, 466x580px
This always interested me as a potential magic item. It'd be pretty powerful I'd imagine, but how would you simulate something like the Berserker Armor's effects?

DM keeps track of health instead of you, but you get a set amount of temporary HP? Wis/Int/Cha get set pretty low with a boost to Str/Dex/Con?

Just brainstorming here, feels like this could be a fun artifact for the players to go search for. They already hunted for magical items for some of the other players, but haven't really gave my fighter PC something to search for.
>>
>>53646473
Stats scaling like shit is actually what made rolling for stats good. A statline which would make for a terrible, nigh-unplayable character in 5e would be okay in pre-3e editions. Stats also didn't apply to nearly as stuff as they do now.
>>
>>53646593
Dev team that actively caters to them.
>>
>>53646263
Think of the strongest person you've ever seen.

Now go two points stronger.
>>
What's the best way to make a summoner? Was thinking of maxing con and getting con saving throws just so I cant lose concentration unless I'm getting hit hard
>>
>>53646633
Kinda a waste of investment, if you will ever reach level 10 as Conjuration Wizard.

Also don't forget that DM choose what pop up from the spell.
>>
>>53646633
I could have sworn concentration saving throws were made with wisdom. The druid in my party said they were. Am I just crazy?
>>
>>53646633
Mystic.

>Summon Elementals
>Summon Shadows

This is probably the strongest due to being able to repeatedly summon because lmao spellpoints.

Shepard Druid.
>Summon animals+Fey

Wizard (Conjuration)
>Summon all kinds of shit (Demon summoning UA helps)
>>
File: 1thor_vice_670.jpg (74KB, 670x448px) Image search: [Google]
1thor_vice_670.jpg
74KB, 670x448px
>>53646263
This, but probably bigger.
>>
>>53646682
>druid wants concentration checks to be made with wisdom instead of constitution
I wonder why?
>>
>>53646598
Let them hire skilled mercenaries at a hefty price so that their survivability is increased and they're encouraged to get a source of reliable damage within the party. Except if they're not currently doing anything with their gold which is its own set of problems
>>
>>53646682
tell him to go read the PHB and stop cheating
>>
File: Rock.jpg (277KB, 1200x1473px) Image search: [Google]
Rock.jpg
277KB, 1200x1473px
>>53646263
>>
File: WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MAKING FUCK.gif (845KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MAKING FUCK.gif
845KB, 500x240px
>>53646601
I remember somebody asking this question before and the ideas that were posted prompted me to think about it.

You don't know your current HP value, the DM tracks it for you. You are also not told how much damage you take. You don't go unconscious if you are brought to zero HP, you instead go into negative HP. If your negative HP value exceeds your max HP, you drop dead at the end of the current fight without death saves. If you are in negative HP when a fight ends, you instead fall unconscious. (Not sure if I'd allow you to be raised from unconsciousness with a single point of healing, as per usual, or make it so that you have to have all of the negative HP cured)

In combat, you must pass a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be forced to make an attack action, use a damaging spell, or Dash closer to an enemy on your turn.

I'd figure it'd be full-plate, stats-wise, maybe +1. Depending on when the party gets it I might additionally say that it gives +2 damage of matching type to attacks made with melee weapons using Strength.

They also get advantage on rolls made to put their grasses, and they automatically succeed if nothing will be wong.
>>
>>53646601
I wouldn't lower Int/Cha/Wis. If anything, it should grant Advantage on Wis saves (Barbarians are also more difficult to mind control because they're basically acting on instinct rather than logic). I'd take inspiration from the Orcs or Barbarians.

You could give it something like the Orc's Relentless Endurance. Drop to 0 HP? Drop to 1 HP instead and keep fightin'.

There's an UA Barbarian archetype that gets a 14 level skill that lets them rage after death, too (but they die once their rage ends). They can fight even if they're making death saves, essentially giving them a few extra turns to fight after getting knocked o ut.
>>
>>53646718
The gold is mostly used in RP endeavours.

One is trying to support his noble house which isnt going so well.

Another is trying to get an orphanage up and running.

Another is helping said orphanage.

The last distributes his earnings to the party, because he has no use of material wealth.

I love the RP parts, but their love of combat is conflicting with the builds and characters they have.
>>
File: Crane.jpg (114KB, 787x815px) Image search: [Google]
Crane.jpg
114KB, 787x815px
>>53646751
>A magic item that effectively doubles your HP
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
What sort of creatures would a Dragonborn Army employ as weapons/allies/etc.?

besides Kobolds, Guard Drakes, and Dragons.got those.
>>
>>53646866
Dinosaurs
>>
Any suggestions on how to make a melee sorcerer? I've already chosen stone sorcerer but apart from that I'm a bit lost.
>>
Why do conjure spells have the 'or lower' part of the spell? It seems like its just a way for dms to make a spell useless
>>
>>53646695
>dumbbells are so heavy they're just machined cylinders of steel
Damn
>>
File: eddie hall deadlift.jpg (213KB, 1500x1072px) Image search: [Google]
eddie hall deadlift.jpg
213KB, 1500x1072px
>>53646695
As far as size goes, Thor is fuckhueg (6'8 400+ lbs)

I'd say Eddie Hall is a good example 20 STR through sheer hard work. He can strict overhead press a 416lbs axle with out using his legs; massive shoulder power. Congratulations to him for winning World's Strongest Man this year and being able to move on; inspirational guy.
>>
>>53646913
Because nobody likes a summoner, anon.
>>
>>53646866
Wyvern air force, turtle dragon navy, and hydra supply line.
>>
>>53646956
I was gonna go with Hall or Brian Shaw, But I figured Thor looked the most adventure-ready.
>>
File: thonkeykong.png (26KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
thonkeykong.png
26KB, 128x128px
>>53647008
So:

>Turtle Dragons to combat enemy warships
>Wyvern Fleets to combat enemy airships
>Guard Drakes as mounted combat
>Kobolds for insurgency
>Dragons for various reasons (if they can convince them)

Seems good. But what about Basilisks
>>
>>53647071
Frontal assault, mate.
"Do not shot until you see the (color) of their eye." - some general.
>>
>>53647093
More like shock troops. Breed as many as you can, form into largish groups, throw at the enemy, get as much petrified as you can, pull the basilisks away.
>>
What could possibly defeat a beholder besides an adventurers party? Same Cr
>>
>>53647174
Another beholder.

It's ez.
>Get to Beholder lair (Ideally with something like a Chainlock remote controlled Imp, or even better a Gazer)
>Tell him this punk-ass other Beholder said he was the better Beholder, give him his address
>OhHellNaw.gif
>Beholders kick the shit out of each other
>>
>>53646400
Honestly that's bullshit. If your DM can't beat players without giving his monsters fucking magic weapons maybe he needs to git gud.

Playing melee grunts? Have them try a grapple on the heavy armored dude. High AC isn't much if he's prone and every monster gets advantage on attack rolls. It's also totally justified for monsters to go after the low-AC characters once they notice this dude is too heavily armored. You can't tell me that they manage to set up a situation where the high AC character is the only one targetable every single time. Setting up an advantageous tactical position (i.e. with the 'wall' character in front) should be rewarded but it's so unlikely that it can happen every time. With that stealth disadvantage you're not gonna be setting up many ambushes.

Also, AoE spells do not care about AC and they damage the squishies in the back too. High AC should really only be a problem for DMs in the early levels when all their monsters are goblins and wild animals and stuff who can't into tactics or spells.
>>
>>53647174
I'd use a Rakshasa, but would'n put my money on it.
>>
>>53647219
Why would he believe the imp? That lowly creature cant comprehend how perfect this beholder is.. hes just jealous

eyeblast
>>
>>53647227
>reading comprehension ability: 2
Why'd you dumb int so hard anon?

I literally mentioned pretty much all of those points as likely outcomes.

High AC will make people sour, either the party because they are now the target, or the guy with high AC because he is ignored or his AC is being bypassed.
>>
>>53646842
The Berserker armor is supposed to be really powerful, but incredibly risky to use.

Having a lot more health at the risk of just spontaneously dying because you took more damage than you thought fits the item.
>>
>>53644919
Show us your encounter math
>>
>>53647283
Then you lost an Imp, a 10gp investment. He might eyeblast the Imp and go kill the other beholder anyways.
>>
>>53647291
No, I got it, I just didn't see how this should make anyone sour. If your DM can't deal with it he's probably incompetent, and the person playing the tank probably isn't expecting literally every enemy to attack him, either. It's strategically useful but it requires work.
>>
>>53646695
Dude's easily more than 20 Str. We compared one of our IRL buddies to the strength chart and he's literally at 18, and his strength is insanely outclass by the MOUNTAIN.
>>
I'm gonna play Transmutation Wizard next week! I'm such a hipster for not playing Diviner!
>>
Has anyone thought of using tunnel fighter and warcaster on a sorcerer to give a huge boost in spells per round?
>At the start of the round cast twinned fireball then move into the range of a few melee combatants.
>Bonus action to use the tunnel stance, this lets you perform opportunity attacks without using your reaction.
Whenever people try to escape or move past you cast a spell as an opportunity attack.
>Booming blade will be incredibly useful here because if they continue moving after the sucessfull attack they take 2d8 thunder damage (1d8 at lower levels).
>>
>>53647342
>If your DM can't deal with it he's probably incompetent
Never heard of a GM who cant handle high AC.

All of the above solutions are perfectly reasonable GM answers to AC stacking. The problem isnt how it is handled by the GM, it is the reaction to it from the players. I have seen my fair share of games die because some faglord thought he was being funny about min maxing to break the system, not realising that the GM can do literally whatever he wants, and SHOULD always strive to make any encounter difficult AT LEAST for all players. If someone has 26 AC, well, then he needs enemies with at least 15 bonus to hit, or ways to bypass it entirely, either through ignoring him, saves, or whatever shenanigans you can think of.

In both cases, at least in my experience, it is very likely to cause a lot of bitching. Either from the players understandably pissed at having a raised difficulty because of Mr. Faglord PC, or the Faglord himself for not getting to use his high AC.
>>
>>53647450
Transmuter's are the bane of my existence. I had a player build one that could only run away and avoid confrontation.

Guess which game never got off the fucking ground?
>>
>>53647453
Doesn't work with Tunnel Fighter. Warcaster's not an Opportunity Attack, it's a completely different reaction.

I tried the same thing a while ago.
>>
>>53647453
Doesn't work. Warcaster require you to use reaction to cast spell (instead of making OA).
>>
>>53647436
Using info on wikipedia on how much he can lift and applying that to the PHB carrying capacity he has an STR score of 46.
Fucking cheater.
>>
>>53647493
Holy fuck I knew he would be outclassed but damn.
>>
>>53647479
>>53647483
shit, I enjoyed the idea of stacking a few extra lvl 3 spell slots before an encounter and using all of my reactions for point-blank fireballs.
>I'm playing a berzerker sorcerer who will do shit like this.
>>
>>53647458
But it's the faglord's own fault. It has little to do with 'raised difficulty' and everything with enemies adapting to a situation as sentient beings do. DnD is not a JRPG where every player is a chosen hero who'll get to the end of the game no matter how incompetent he is, it's a world in which everything wants to kill you and will if you don't stop being a one-trick pony. High AC is a useful trick, but it only solves a single problem, which is high attack rolls against you personally. The sooner players learn this the sooner they'll become more competent.
>>
>>53647493
>+18 to hit and dmg from str alone
If he was level 20 and had a +3 weapon he would have +27 to hit and dmg.
>>
>>53647502
>>53647453
Oh and you also can't twinned fireball.
>>
>>53647510
>The GM still rules that a nat1 is a fail
>Even with those stats
I would certainly argue the point
>>
>>53647493
He undoubtedly has either or both of Powerful Build and Burly.
>>
>>53647525
>Can't twinned fireball
So it only applies to spells that can only have a single target?
What about GFB where you target someone and hit them, then anyone within 5ft take CHA of firedamage?
>>
>>53647506
That has literally been my point the entire time.

Again;
>reading comprehension ability: -2
You should spend an ASi or two on getting that Int score to at least neutral.
>>
>>53647502
You can't ready multiple fireball. readying a spell require your concentration.

You can't also hold off a spell for more than one round.
>>
>>53647541
>This spells hits multiple people, so it can't be used
>what about this other spell that also hits multiple people
What the fuck do you think? Come on man.
>>
>>53647541
Read the errata.
> When you cast a spell that doesn't have a range of self and is incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell's current level, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

GFB doesn't work.
>>
>>53647567
Chill man. He probably a berserker in RL too.
>>
>>53647527
1: there are no nat fails/successes with attribute checks
2: There is much more to the relationship between AC and attack role than the brute stats. On a roll of 1, you just whiffed it. Even if you're so strong that you can effectively cleave a sword straight through plate armor (or at least deliver a blow so hard that a guy's arm practically breaks in his gauntlet), if you don't hit them you simply don't hit them.
>>
>>53647561
I'm a disgusting newfag to /tg/

>>53647554
I'm not readying fireball, I've converted all of my 2nd lvl and 1st lvl spell slots into sorcerer points and converted all my sorcerer points into lvl3 spell slots.
>>
I'm trying to make a character for my next game. He's a Knight-Errant who was originally a circus performer.

He was a duelist and acrobat before his trope fell into bankruptcy. Leaving the city to find somewhere to go he stumbled upon Knight fending off bandits to save some villagers.

Long story short, he and the Knight had a real bromance thing and traveled together until one day where the Knight died. My character directly responsible for it of course.

Seeing what he had done he decided to take the Knight's identity and continue traveling and trying to do good to spread his legend.

What would be a good character for this? I was thinking a Fighter/Valor Bard but both Knight and Devotion Paladin are temping.
>>
>>53647579
I guess that would work but don't forget that Berserker can't cast spell while raging. So point-blank fireball will probably kill you too.
>>
>pirate battle with guns, cannons, swinging ropes and a thunderstorm with high risk of drowning
that was a fun way for the campaign to end
>>
>>53647590
Blade college Bard.

Charlatan background for posing
>>
My GM decided to let me pick another school for my Wizard. I was apparently being "Insanely annoying" with my abjuration magic, so he removed most of them from my spell list, and gave me free room to pick another school and spells from it.

I am thinking of taking transmutation, because it has some fun spells. Thoughts? The abilities dont seem that impressive, but the stone looks like a fun and thematic thing to carry around.
>>
>>53647645
Divination and make his life hell since you'll be figuring out everything he has hidden away in secret

Then he'll let you go back to your original
>>
>>53647645
Shape stone like a mad cunt. No one will be able to stop you. Literally just run away from his story and his plots. Your DM is a cunt and he should be made to suffer.
>>
>>53647645
Your GM is a cunt, powergame the fuck out of it now.
>>
>>53647645
Prepare to do some physics homework.

You know there are many type of wood right? Balsa wood is only 4lb per square cube, so you can carry a bunch of them.

Copper is also one of the easiest metal to shape.

Most of the time you can destroy stuff by putting weight (ie heavy stone) onto it.
>>
How many times do you usually see a player ready an action? The fighter always ready when he get near the top of initiative at the start so that he could reposition himself when need be.
>>
File: JpG1.jpg (42KB, 692x700px) Image search: [Google]
JpG1.jpg
42KB, 692x700px
Okay, /5eg/, I fucked up. I got way in over my head.

A few months ago, I introduced my little brother to D&D by taking him with me on one of my trips to a semi-local game shop, and we played in an Adventurer's League game. And I loved it at first. I enjoyed having a solid and consistent way to bond with him. I'd originally started playing on this system through AL not a month or two before that, though I've had a fair amount of experience.

And then the tedium set in. AL came to bore me. No fun rulings were allowed, most of the DMs were graduated rules lawyers with flair, and everything felt mechanical.

I missed the dumb PF sessions that got me deep into TTRPGs to begin with. I missed my server's sort lived mock adventure where we went around killing all powerful versions of shitty E-Celebs we mocked, where we had a 1-for-1 point buy with a 20 stat cap.

So I offered to DM a game for my brother, and a couple of his friends who have little to no experience.

I've never DMed before. I don't want to ruin this for them.

Please help.
>>
>>53647684
I ready attacks if there is an enemy spell caster so I can force a concentration check when he tries casting a spell.
>>
>>53647687
use LMoP as your base.
>>
>>53647687
>I missed the dumb PF sessions that got me deep into TTRPGs to begin with. I missed my server's sort lived mock adventure where we went around killing all powerful versions of shitty E-Celebs we mocked, where we had a 1-for-1 point buy with a 20 stat cap.
That sounds incredibly uninteresting, maybe you just have ADHD.
>>
>>53647684
Almost never, because they fucked up the ready action.

You cant move, and you can't perform bonus actions. You are literally wasting your turn in most cases if you ready an action.

I generally like the "act whenever you at or below your initiative" houserule, because I have lost count of all the times where is having a high initiative screwed us over, because something unexpected (as in literally no warning or reason behind it) suddenly emerged "at its initiative" after we all acted, and proceeded to backstab and kill the wizard we thought was protected by a Paladin standing next to him, because "hurr you were too fast to see the enemy".
>>
>>53647687
Forgot to clarify: I'm a Beta mongoloid with almost no money. Getting full adventure books (SKT, EE, TYP, Etc.) are almost entirely out of the paper. Might be able to pick up a starter kit on top of the Player's Handbook I have, but that's probably it.

>>53647712
Eh, it only lasted a few sessions. Gave birth to a few decent gag characters that I remember it fondly for, though.

>>53647698
Yeah, that's probably a good idea.
>>
>>53647668
>>53647663
>>53647658
Okay then...

>>53647672
Sounds good, time to put my Masters degree in engineering to work. I have a feeling this wont go much better than my abjuration wizard, but oh well. He already rules that we can never have more than 2 summons at once, so I am not really keen on conjuration, and evocation sounds super boring. Necromancy is banned because evil, so my choices are limited. He also seems to make divination quite limited in general, so transmutation seems the most fun and useable left.
>>
>>53647722
>because something unexpected (as in literally no warning or reason behind it) suddenly emerged "at its initiative" after we all acted
Why the fuck didn't the thing just get a surprise round, and then you do the ini order normally?
>>
>>53647786
Because this was during combat and a rolling initiative order, surprise rounds don't exist during combat.
>>
>>53647739
Trove has everything brah. You are not one of thr old fart who can only read stuff on paper are you?
>>
>>53647776
> Neceomacy
> Evil
Ressurection and Gentle Repose spell is evil now? If he is talking about animate dead, the book said it isn't good act (as in neutral).

Anyway it seem like you need a better DM. He seems pike a control freak who can't handle player who has narrative power. Rather no D&D than bad D&D.
>>
>>53647786
> he think surprise round exist in 5e.
Ahahahahahaha cute anon. But you should read the PHB sometime. Or you could just go back to /pfg/ where no one care about actual rule.
>>
>>53647811
Really? Link was busted the last few times I checked the thread. Good to know.

>>53647687
Alright, so I guess that LMoP is a pretty good starting place. I dunno, any general ideas of where to go from there? I'm gonna ask everyone what kind of thing they'd want from the adventure in our Session Zero, but it would be most of their first times and I know none of them have done non-AL sessions, at the very least.
>>
>>53647829
He says necromancy is evil in his setting. Even so, an undead would not be too useful, and as it is among the keystones... meh.

But so far I am having loads of fun. Kinda lame that he is making me reroll, but its fine, let's me play around with some other flavour. Now I just need to think of a good reason as to why this shift happened.
>>
>>53647791
>>53647722
Pretty that's not how initiative and combat work. Creature can't take turn until they roll initiative Which happen before taking turn step, if you are already taking turn, a creature can't just join in during that round.

Your DM just want to screw you over.
>>
>>53647892
He had rolled initiative for it. It had initiative 8. We all had more.

We just didn't know it was there.
>>
Guys I'm gonna be running my first campaign in a couple days and I'm getting a little panicked.
How much detail should I have down ahead of time? Should I have a whole set of possible encounters? I really have no idea what my PCs will do when plopped into the world, and none of them have played before, either. What are some common pitfalls I should avoid? One of my players is concerned he might not even like the game, I'm worried I won't make it fun enough for him. I'm so scared I want everybody to enjoy it but I have NO experience dm'ing.
>>
>>53644724
>Cut Hexblade DPR by half
>Buff Blast-locks significantly
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>53646866
Why the fuck do you assume Dragonborn would command or even have a role beyond footsoldiers? They are the least dragon of the bunch. This is the worst premise in a long time.
>>
How do I discourage PC's from killing?

Setup is like this. Evil dictator king gets murderded; PC's are roped into finding the killer. The head of the guard says there are two suspects. One is a guy who has been trying to overthrow the king and install a democracy, the other is a druid who hates the king for fucking up nature with his experiments.

Turns out it was neither, it was the crown prince, who is sick of his abusive evil father and wants to right his father's wrongs.

I want to discourage the PC's from attacking the suspects because these PC's are unexperienced, level 1 and the NPC's are very experienced and have a lot of underlings. How do I best imprint on them that it really isn't a good idea to murderhobo
>>
File: buff.png (11KB, 265x130px) Image search: [Google]
buff.png
11KB, 265x130px
>>53647953
>least dragon of the bunch
>more intelligent than guard drakes, wyverns, and kobolds

its not forgotten realms, they arent dragon slave babies

why can humans command but not dragonborn?
>>
>>53647941
>Cut Hexblade DPR by half
This is the single stupidest thing I've ever heard. Cutting the damage you burst twice per rest without having spellslots for anything else to be equal to Paladin isn't a huge fucking deal.

There's still plenty of shit you can do with your spellslot, plus now you can Smite while still using CHA for weapons and other pacts can use Finesse weapons.

I don't even think the Warlock smite needed changing, but there's nothing wrong with the way they've done it in this UA.
>>
>>53647941
But 100% knock prone is OP brah! They will take over Paladin job! - Reddot
>>
>>53647974
>Plenty of shit for you to do besides smite
There isn't, spell-list and slots are extremely confining for bladelocks in general along with the most mandatory invocations.

They've made them mathematically worse than every other gish with a higher opportunity cost.
>>
>>53647934
You should have a few encounters lined up for them as part of a story. Do what makes sense for the plot, but also throw fights and whatever that'll engage the party's strengths, so that they can clearly define themselves when starting out in the game. Got a dude with a big sword? Throw mooks at him. Got a wizard who's fascinated with the mysteries of life? Show him an interesting connection to his philosophy. Got a bard that likes to socialize? Have a few NPCs ready to shoot the breeze with him, as well as provide setting details. Remember to appeal to what interests them.

Don't use the CR system as is. It's more of a suggestion. Instead, use monsters that are weak, and if the PCs look like they could use a challenge, introduce enemies that are a step above those. For example, if they plow through town guards, throw a scout at them. Scouts have multiattack, so that should surprise your party, but are otherwise weak.
>>
>>53647985
DEY TAEK OUR JAABS
>>
>>53647974
Yeah I'll just cast AoA and laugh when my 15 THP get swiped while the pally smites 5 times each combat, with more proficiencies, hp, fighting styles and ribbons.

They fucked locks hard.
>>
>>53647985
>Can now cast EB that pushes, pulls, Fireballs, reduces movement and scales with cast mod
I don't even play a warlock and I can see how stupid these changes are. 2d8 per slot was questionable, but 1d8 is too low to make them worth it.
>>
File: 1493339048441.png (610KB, 600x556px) Image search: [Google]
1493339048441.png
610KB, 600x556px
What's a really fun class to center a party around, as a leader/organizer? My instincts says Cleric or Wizard.
>>
>>53648050
Cleric. You can cover almost everything with cleric.
>>
>>53647972
In an army of dragons humans would never command.
Well if it's not Forgotten Realms, I guess it's plausible that the dragonborn are the most intelligent, if your dragons are more animalistic. I quite like the idea of a drakonid empire/kingdom/noble house/whatever it is that you're making in that case.
>>
>>53648022
Well the difference is Warlocks are casters. You have much more powerful spells and can cast a max level spell in every combat.

Bladelock only needs to be balanced to EB to make it an option. Right now it's iffy but if built right (Hexblade+PAM+Weapon buffs) it does.
>>
Don't forget Eldritch Smite only work once per turn. So it doesn't synergize well with extra attack.

Literally the only thing it has over Paladin is no restriction on ranged / melee.
>>
>>53648061
What are some ripe domains for such an intrepid leader? Life?
>>
>>53645405
Velociraptor, and yes.
>>
>>53648072
>Literally the only thing it has over Paladin is no restriction on ranged / melee.
Huh, that's actually a pretty good point in it's favor. Assuming you find a Magical Bow to make your pact weapon of course.
>>
>>53648074
Knowledge or Trickery.
>>
>>53648050
Play Arcane domain cleric. Pickup the blade spells from Sword Coast, then play normally. Congrats! You can now melee, lockdown, tank, heal, and AoE. You can also turn elementals and other magical crap, plus a neat ability that lets you break enemy buffs.
>>
File: 666.jpg (41KB, 392x376px) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
41KB, 392x376px
>>53648074
Life if you want to heal a lot
Light if you want to blast everything forever
Forge if you really enjoy smashing things
>>
>>53648092
> not taking magic initiate Shillelagh too
>>
>>53648072
Also comes in at level 5 so it takes longer to get off the ground, they needed to post the updated Hexblade along with the UA to justify the changes, Cursebringer is apparently more of a thing now with the pact.

But yeah right now they are shittier Paladins instead of being the burst/boss killers to Paladins sustain
>>
>>53648092
>>53648107
Arcana Cleric is my single favorite character mechanically. It just does everything better then average and makes a great frontliner, blaster, ranged attacker and supporter.

Only problem I have is finding gods that fit it well and are interesting.
>>
>>53648065
Oh, I think we got confused with each other.

I never meant to imply the Dragonborn command the dragons. That is where I meant to imply they would create alliances with Dragons, conquering towns and giving tribute and whatnot.

My wording was a bit fucked in my post. This Dragonborn kingdom usually employ dumber draconic/monstrous creatures and create bonds with more intelligent ones.
>>
>>53645656
No dude, you do the ultimate autism: Te dandwiki ONLY gestalt campaign. EVERYTHING must come from dandwiki: equipment, classes, races, backgrounds, monsters, etc.
>>
>>53648012
Thanks for the reply, I've got a Wizard, Paladin, and Monk in my party. I'm struggling with finding a way to bring them all together, not to mention sending them on an adventure together. What would be a good motivation for a group of strangers with differing goals to band together and actively seek danger without being contrived and stereotypical?
I was playing around with the idea of having them start out dead: An inn destroyed by a freak accident, or maybe bombed by a group of bandits, but brought back by a mystic force yet unknown. I get the feeling they might not like this, though. Especially the paladin, focused as he is on his god, might take offense at being resurrected. My wizard player is pretty headstrong too, now that I think about it, he definitely won't enjoy being told he's dead right off the bat.
>>
Help a mid level grognard here, How fares 5th ed? Is it replacing 3rd ed/pathfinder? My group is still resisting but I don't feel the resistance in 5th ed that 4th ed had
>>
>>53648122
Mystra from Forgotten Realms, Boccob from Greyhawk, the Moons from Dragolance, etc.

Also, for some really weird reason, all the above are extremely chill about letting their worshipers do fuck-all.
>>
>>53647959
I'm no professional DM but saying "There are lots of guards and high level NPS's here that can kill you if you murderhobo" sounds pretty convincing to me.
>>
File: Centipedes.jpg (34KB, 720x300px) Image search: [Google]
Centipedes.jpg
34KB, 720x300px
>>53648187
It's not replacing anything, my dog. If you want to play pf or 3rd, go for it.
>>
>>53648184
Pull a Wild Arms 2. It's somewhat similar to what you have in mind.
>PCs graduate from an institution that trains adventurers
>First scene: everyone's celebrating the completion of their training, classmates are cheering, banquet hall, etc.
>Classmates, prolly their friends, start to slowly mutate when the dubbing ceremony happens
>PCs now must fight monstrous classmates (use stats for berserkers or some other 1HD, 1 attack foe)
>After defeating them and finding the dubbing sword, they start to mutate as well
>They wake up in a field, perfectly fine

Then you can do your thing. I like the idea of adventuring classes requiring special training, as well as baptisms by fire. These shared experiences will solidify a bond with the players.
>>
>>53648187
5e is 3.5, but better
>>
>>53648187
If you are playing core-only, or mostly stick to core in 3.PF, 5e is a lot better.

If you use all the crazy options 3.PF, and play a sort of gonzo high-fantasy adventure-romp, then you'll need to brew them for 5e or play 4e which does it much, much better than either.
>>
>>53648332
Speaking of gonzo high fantasy, I played with a splint of my friend group that still plays PF regularly.

God, I don't know if its just their group, but their shit was off the wall. We were punching goblins 50 feet into the air and headbutting the moon to stop it from crashing into the planet. The DM is nuts.
>>
I know Warlocks are supposed to have downsides and tasks given to them by their patron, but...

I made a character to fit into the party of some nobles, without being one. So I made a sort of maid character who knew the other PCs, and picked a Fey pact. The creature is some trickster fey thing, which loves playing pranks, which often happen to ruin lives or just straight up kill people. My character is good, so I thought it was interesting enough to pull me more towards the neutral spectrum that the other characters are in.

For some reason, the patron now demands a child, and says it has to be with one of the other 3 PCs. That's.. . Not really what I was expecting, and is not only awkward, it is also completely outside the scope of what the GM described it might do. Furthermore, the patron told me that my character would immediately lose her powers if she told anyone about this task, and the GM also pointed out that I, the player, shouldn't tell my fellow players either.

What do I do here? Just try to go with it? It seems a bit... I don't know, much?
>>
Am I the only person who thinks it's weird that Hunger of Hadar, a Warlock only spell, doesn't scale? I feel like Warlock only spells should have at least a bit of scaling on them.

That aside is HoH a decent spell? Seems like Darkness with damage each turn which is nice.
>>
>>53648402
DM is trying to pull you into his magical realm. Run away.
>>
>>53648449
I love in the middle of nowhere, and finally found a group that doesn't consist of smelly neckbeards. I really dont want to ruin this, and everything has been fine for the first 12 sessions.

Now that I think of it, what WOULD happen if I lost the pact, so to speak? I know I would fall behind, but just curious as to the mechanics behind it. What would I retain? And could I feasibly train into something else?

Like if I copied my spellbook into another book, and tries to become a wizard, for example.
>>
>>53648483
There ARE retraining rules in the DMG, but just making a pact with something else could work.

Like a gentleman of wealth and taste with impeccable style, And a goatee.
>>
>>53648406
It's amazing up until it isn't. It not scaling is a gross oversight.
>>
>>53648402
That's too far. Cut your losses and run. Don't try to find IC solutions to OOC problems either. If DM won't succeed pushing his pregnancy fetish on you this time, he will try again.
>>
>>53648483
You can't lost class feature RAW in 5e. Even paladin get a replace into oathbreaker (or refund into another class with their current level).

Storywise, this would be represent by your warlock would find another patron (possibly enemy of your previous patron).

Patron aren't all powerful, one of the example fiend patron is only a level 13 devil.

But your DM seems like a faggot and he would probably just make you into a level 1 commoner for lolz, since you don't suck his dick and satisfy his fetish.
>>
>>53648614
>since you don't suck his dick
He clearly doesn't want me to suck his.

And it is pretty much what I have been trying to avoid from the start. Relationships break groups, as far as I be heard.

But hey, another patron shouldn't be a problem, we have already encountered some cthulhu stuff, so that's an option.

I really dont want to stop, and as long as there are ways around it, and I can continue looking forward to the sessions, leaving seems a bit overexcessive.
>>
I really wish the Warlock's gimmick wasn't EB. Feels like there's much more interesting stuff they could be doing.
>>
>>53648830
We can't have that anon, why other classes could get even more out of pillaging their everything for the best 2 dip class in the game!

In all seriousness Warlocks needed a rework more than PHB Rangers did.
>>
>>53648801
Your DM is a pervert neckbeard that tries to use players for sexual gratification. You can't fix that.
>>
>>53648830
I actually think it can be pretty cool.

With the amount of invocation that affects it, you can make some really cool shit.

I have a Old one Warlock who had Spear + the pull, which was used to being people into CC with the 2 battlemasters and our Barbarian. I was mostly for utility, and hooking them closer is terrifying for most opponents.

For my Warlock, the EB is essentially spears that I throw out, which is connected to my hand through ethereal chains, and on hit, those haunts are banked back, dragging the target closer.

With the new UA, I am also grabbing the frost one, to not only pull them closer, but also slow them. Can't run from the eternal hunger!

Another might make it a stupid finger blast, and someone else might make it a small black flamed orb that can explode into a fireball.

EB is just amazingly good at being the cornerstone of what Warlocks do. Yeah you dont do much else, but neither does any martial outside of battlemasters. And no matter what you say, you have an excellent spell progression, and get access to 9th level spells. Thats a lot more flexibility than a martial can hope to accomplish.

The only thing I agree on, is that EB should be a Warlock At-Will feature, rather than a cantrip, and it should scale with Warlock levels, not character levels.
>>
>>53648830
I wish they'd focused more on the at will abilities, because the invocations really are what makes the class interesting. Silent Image without expending a spell slot? Seeing through literally all types of darkness? Hell, even being able to cast Mage Armor or False Life at will is great. There should be more of those kinds of invocations. Instead, the PHB is padded with dumb shit like 'you can cast Compulsion once per day, using one of your two spell slots' (which is bullshit since Wizards can cast Compulsion at level 7 as well and don't need to waste a resource on it). There were some more invocations in the UA introducing the Hexblade but too many of them were just variations on smiting with the blade pact.
>>
>>53644871
At least dark sun is still great... For now
>>
Mearls really just has no idea what to do with warlocks and monks does he?
>>
>>53648975
One of the easier fixes besides more Warlock only slots, would be to let all the invocation spells be a free 1 a day. It's beyond bullshit they have to pay 50% of their casting for a damn feature.
>>
>>53649009
He wants the melee to be worse paladins and the ranged to be worse Wizards. Nothing else has a place for interesting or powerful play.
>>
>>53649014
My GM was quite flexible in that regard. He let me do shit for my Patron to gain additional slots and such. Fey Patron who kept sticking around, so it was mostly pretty easy, as the GM often just came up with completely pointless tasks like "give me a back rub and you'll have an extra spell tomorrow!"

Of course he ended up requiring the character to do sexual stuff, like getting a free casting if done naked, or blow him or something. So that kind of killed it. But hey, if a shit GM can do that kind of thing, so can everybody else.
>>
>>53644790
>1st level: absorb elements, shield
>took Blur instead of Mirror Image
bruh, those are the only three spells you will ever cast as an EK so it doesn't matter what you do with the rest
>>
>>53649062
>So that kind of killed it
I dunno, sounds pretty appealing to me
>>
>>53649062
>five more sessions in
>need to suck off your GM for an extra spell slot

Such immersion!
>>
>>53645042
Does your world not have fucking fantasy elf cops?
I can't remember the last time my party straight-up murdered some dudes who stood no chance in a fight instead of tying them up like roast boar and carting them off to town to face J U S T I C E
>>
>>53649062
What the actual goddamn fuck?!
>>
>>53649062
Stockholm syndrome - the post.
>>
>>53649009
Mystic is the new monk
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 464x364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 464x364px
What's your opinion on Gishes?
>>
File: 1332808084233.gif (403KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1332808084233.gif
403KB, 640x360px
>artificer
>can finally make my kobold artificer
i will have fun and you can't stop me
>>
>>53649143
honestly, with how concentration works, I think being the caster warrior doesn't work as well as it did in earlier additions since you essentially only have one buff up. I think it's better to be something more akin to the 4e swordsage, warrior with magical effects. Stone Sorc has some neat stuff, especially with the shield teleport attack.
>>
File: d7ee017f3f12822b1ef1259fc764be51.jpg (831KB, 1352x668px) Image search: [Google]
d7ee017f3f12822b1ef1259fc764be51.jpg
831KB, 1352x668px
So I've read that Kuo-Toa can believe so hard in a fake God that they can accidentally manifest it into reality.

If that is true, how strong is this "God"? I imagine it'd be nothing compared to actual cosmic entities and more just a powerful supernatural force?

as in, a group of Kuo-Toa began worshiping the "idea" of one of the PCs,
and I sort of want them to eventually run into the manifestation of their worship
>>
I'm starting a new campaign on Wednesday and my only experience in D&D is the starter set. I read through the player's handbook but haven't had a chance to read any of the supporting stuff like Volo's or Sword Coast since our DM owns all the books for those.

Is there a race or class I could pick that wouldn't be entirely solid? Like a slime or a ghost kind of person. I wanna be able to fuck with my shape in small ways without going full druid species shift
>>
>>53649144
The artificer class being shit will do that for us
>>
File: fuck you train.png (813KB, 727x410px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you train.png
813KB, 727x410px
>>53646263
>>53646380
This is pretty much my Monk now that he's got King Hekaton's Belt of Storm Giant King Strength.

After I strap that bad boy on and chuck my +2 Strength ioun stone to another party member, I'm feeling pretty sassy about +15 AB as we head into the Fire Giant dungeon.
I go down there expecting to just beat everything in the face as usual (minus teleportation shenanigans because it's bright-lit as fuck with all the fires and furnaces around), but then I see one of the Fire Giants throw a minecart full of iron ore at two of my party members and immediately think
>well shit, I'm stronger than him
>>
Ancestral Barbarian is pretty strong isn't it?

> and creatures other than you have resistance to the damage of the creature's attacks.

Is pretty crazy.
>>
>>53649210
If UA is allowed, water sorcerer can become watery to lessen damage at 6 and can become watery while moving at 14
>>
>>53649207
FR operates on something akin to consensus reality. If enough people believe it, it's true. That doesn't mean they can vanish a mountain from existence by forgetting about it, but worshipping someone as a God can actually give them Godly powers (or create them out of nothing to begin with). Post-ToT, a God's strength is also informed by the number and devoutness of their worshippers.
>>
>>53649271
Interesting. So lets say there is a colony of Kuo-Toa living on a very large sand bar. They number maybe near 40?

How powerful would you make what they manifest? I have no clue how to gauge this. I suppose I can just establish the power level of their creation in my own world but I don't know if others have done this.
>>
>>53649210
Gaseous form spell?

Also I think Mystic can do that kinda stuff.
>>
>>53649143
Paladin is the only fully functional one, rest require breaking the multiclass system. We had a good alternative until yesterday's UA took it out back and broke it's legs.
>>
>>53649311
I'd argue Clerics can get away with it too. At least certain archetypes.
>>
>>53649292
If it's something just the 40 kuo-toa believe in, fucking nothing. Tchazzar was a powerful red dragon who assumed human form, took over a whole country, then tricked them into believing he was a god-king; he had enough people and devotion to actually become a demigod, whereupon he flipped them the draconic-demibird and flew off.

If these kuo-toa colonists are simply calling on the entity that ALL kuo-toa worship, that's another thing. I wouldn't think that 40 would be able to do much, but if they had some dedicated priests in their number and offered up ritual sacrifice (something that, in their mind, would strengthen their summoning procedure) they might pluck something out that could challenge a five man party of level 3s. Kuo-toa aren't that hot.
>>
>>53649311
Which one and what happened?
>>
>>53649207
They can be pretty impressive.

One of them gets ranked in the PHB along with other monstrous deities with no real difference. Just they're unlikely to ever grant more than one domain.

But that is Blibdoolpoolp, who is one of their most widespread created gods. One based on the PCs would probably be something minor, a delusionary eidolon which could be fought and killed.
>>
>>53649350
funny enough, the party is 5 level 4s

They had a large circle of priests there. The colony was essentially a bunch of "heretics" from another Kuo-Toa sand bar colony who excommunicated them.
>>
>>53649124
Nah, left because the GM was a creep.

Still, the concept was pretty cool, and really should be used. Remember, most of these are not really godlike incomprehensible beings. They would reasonably not have more than a few pacts at once, so sticking around your character as the "latest in line" is quite reasonable. As long as you don't go full magical realm of course.
>>
>>53649359
half damage from all bladelock.
>>
File: IMG_0639.jpg (63KB, 540x799px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0639.jpg
63KB, 540x799px
>>53645165
>>53645165
It's not even close to balanced. It's a half caster with an extra attack, uncanny dodge, extra elemental damage, and can cast spells though your weapon. It's a joke to think this is anywhere close to balanced.
>>
>>53649384
Did you deck him?
>>
File: acererakvestige.png (2MB, 1248x1150px) Image search: [Google]
acererakvestige.png
2MB, 1248x1150px
>>53649384
A lot of Warlock entities are just repackaged Vestiges from the old Binder class, so those ones at least are pretty incomprehensible and may or may not have been formerly gods.

Funnily enough, Acererak was one of them. He'd make a good Patron for that quasi-undead Undying Warlock.
>>
I will play a whip based bladesinger and you can't stop me
>>
Does a paladin really ever want to cast many spells, or would I be burning the majority of my slots to divine smites? Shit like searing smite and thunderous smite is cool, but I feel like the extra damage is nearly always going to be the better option to knocking prone or whatever else.
>>
>>53649475
Half human? What was his other half?
>>
>>53649537
Demon. Keep reading
>>
>>53649524
Honestly the Smite spells don't get enough love. Most of the time it's like 1-3 average damage less and uses a bonus action, for an awesome effect. Take them and use them.
>>
>>53649475
Holy fuck, they should bring back vestiges. Maybe even as a warlock pact.
>>
>>53649400
Oh, the smite options were bundled into one and halved to 1d8 per spell level instead of 2d8? That's kind of bullshit, yeah. Knocking something prone with no check is good though.

But with an invocation like that they really should consider giving warlocks more spell slots.
>>
>>53649475
Hell, I'd say you could have some fun by making other beings into suitable pact material.

Look at Corellon Larethian, as the father of elves, he'd make a pretty good example of an Archfey along with his kin.
Arvandor would become their realm in the Feywild.
>>
>>53649584
You aren't knocking prone with no check, you're knocking prone against AC.
>>
>>53649472
Wot?
>>
>>53649642
Did you punch his lights out?
>>
Are the new sublases and warlock stuff any better?
>>
>>53649631
Yeah, but compare this to the Battlemaster. Most of its maneuvers require the target to make a check, as well as requiring you to actually hit the target.

You can make a direct comparison to the BM's Trip Attack, which forces a Strength save (which most melee grunts are good at anyways), and only does an extra 1d8 damage. It seems kinda fair not to have Warlocks outdamage the Fighter by a factor of 2-5 and do the same tricks without requiring checks.
>>
>>53649665
No, he was twice my size and former military, discharged because of mental issues.

I might not get charged because "lol woman hitting a man", but that hardly matters if he breaks my skull in retribution.

I just left. No reason to further complicate things.
>>
>>53649695
"Undying light" got buffed and changed into thrash tier fluff.

Just don't go Bladelock.

Tome is still cool.
>>
>>53649710
Out of curiosity, at which point did you realise he was fetishising you and decide to call it quits? Like, how sexual did it have to get before people realised he wasn't just having a laugh?
>>
>>53649710
This is why cattle prods should be legal.
>>
>>53649576
Vestiges make great sources for Warlock patrons.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Vestige

>Archfey - Beur, Leraje, Malphas
>Fiend - Geryon, Naberius, Tenebrous
>Great Old One - Chupoclops, Eurynome, Orthos, Otiax
>>
>>53649739
When he said "you can get double your power tomorrow if you use those lips on something useful.". I told him to knock it off, and he changed it to "free spells if you cast naked then?"

Legitimately surprised me, and the rest of the group. No real signs before, but then he was pretty much the beta type, so it might just have been so veiled, that literally none of us noticed.

Considering the stories I've read here, I am not exactly surprised to have it happen, but eh. He was a pretty good GM honestly, too bad he acted like he was 13.
>>
>>53649813
That's super weird. It's not abnormal for people to joke about lewd things every now and then but telling someone to roleplay blowjobs and stuff? Come on.
>>
>>53649576
You can potentially fluff invocations as vestiges. I think a vestige pact should make invocations more flexible.
>>
>>53649813
That's fucked up, truly and utterly. He deserves to get his ass beat and all of his stuff broken.
>>
>>53649848
Not the anon you are responding to, but count yourself lucky if you never encounter these types of people.

You may think people are joking about the stereotypes posted about here on /tg/, but trust me, they exist, and this hobby attracts them like no other.

My guess would be that the whole "world of imagination" thing gets their blood running, and once the autists feel comfortable enough, they try to push their rather strange ideas and fantasies into the game.

As a guy that gets uncomfortable. Just imagining it from a girls perspective... let's just say I can understand why there aren't that many girls in this hobby.
>>
>>53649922
See >>53649890
They* deserve.
>>
Since we are appare tly the Warlock general right now, I have an interesting question:

Let us say your strictly combat invocations were free. That means your smites, EB buffs, all that jazz - just free. No slots used.

What would you use your invocation slots on?
>>
>>53649988
It means people would still primarily use them for multiclassing, until their resource system is reworked they are going to eternally be garbage.
>>
>>53649813
So there was really no build up? He jumped straight to blowjob? What the fuck is wrong with someone like that?
>>
>>53650026
Let us assume this only applies if you stick to Warlock and don't cuck your patron.
>>
>>53650026
What if you disallowed multiclassing? Since it is an optional rule after all.
>>
>trying to get in D&D
>confused as fuck already

I'm not sure I'm doing this right. If I have 15 Dex, +2Dex from Elf, Charlatan and Rogue(Thief), and choose Sleight of Hand under Rogue choices. What's the + number I get for it? Is it +4 or +6? I was sure I read there was a limit somewhere, but I dunno. I wanted to make a Thief who just steals whatever it can and talks it's way out of any trouble that follows.
>>
>>53650042
Not sure.

Maybe he was in a dry spot, and thought his extremely unsubtle remark would earn him something in real life as well.

Not really an expert on this tryhard Alpha Male Attitude(trademark), or why anybody thinks it works. Muscles hogging all the air so the brain doesn't get any, maybe?
>>
>>53650083
Then sure but that doesn't address the real issue and WotC would never do it. Just resign yourself to playing other classes like Pally for Gish and wizard for everything else. Like Perkins and Mearls intend.
>>
>>53650097
What's your level? What is your DEX after racial calculation? Did you mean Expertise when you said "Rogue choices"?
>>
File: rogue.png (816KB, 640x652px) Image search: [Google]
rogue.png
816KB, 640x652px
>>53650172
Level 1, just started. After racial calculation; 17. As for the other bit, I was reading this. I assumed you picked 4 and got a bonus to roll for those. Or maybe I'm wrong. I'm a retard. Sorry for being retarded.
>>
>>53650268
>>
>>53650245
Stat bonus [(STAT-10)/2] plus your Proficiency Bonus (+2 for a starting character).

So in your case, +5 (DEX bonus +3 and proficiency +2).
>>
>>53650097
Well, it helps reading the parts of the Player's Handbook relevant to how skill checks are done.

A skill check requires you to add your modifier for the stat relevant to the skill. For Sleight of Hand, this is Dex. With 17 Dex (15 base + 2 from Elf), you get a +3 modifier.

If you're proficient in this skill (i.e. this is one of the proficiencies you chose when you took the Rogue class), you add your proficiency bonus. For a level 1 character this is +2, and this'll increase as you level up (it's in the progression table for the Rogue, again, in the PHB). So this gives you a bonus of +5.

The Rogue gets an ability at level 1 called Expertise, which allows you to double your proficiency bonus for a few skills of your choosing. So, at level 1, this means that you add +3 (DEX) and 2x(+2) = +7 to any check you make with this skill, provided you chose Sleight of Hand as one of your Expertise skills.
>>
>>53650324
I got all that, but my question was, that's the limit, right? I cannot, for example, then add the Charlatan Proficiency bonus on top of that as well. To make in +7 in this case, then use Expertise to double it. So if I choose the Charlatan background, I should make another choice at the start with Rogue choices. I was just double checking there wasn't something I missed.
>>
>>53648919
Word. As another dude that might or might not have a pregnancy fetish, that's fucking disturbing and I'd still feel weirded out if something like that made its way into one of my games.
>>
>>53650487
There is no such thing as a 'Charlatan Proficiency Bonus'. The proficiency bonus is level-dependent. You can have skill proficiencies due to your Charlatan background, and you can have skill proficiencies due to your Rogue class, but you can't take the Sleight of Hand proficiency from the background and then again from the Rogue class, the proficiencies you take from your background and class have to be different since they don't stack.

That'd be ridiculously overpowered after all. A level 17 Rogue would get +29 on his Stealth check (+ (6*4 + 5)). The normal +17 is already really good.

In short, you can't take the same proficiency twice. That's also why the character sheet only has a checkbox for whether or not you're proficient in a skill.
>>
>>53650613
I know there isn't a Charlatan Proficiency bonus, I was referring to the bonuses for picking Charlatan. But you answered my question later on in the post. Thank you.
>>
>>53645852
Hexblade was viable because of the superior/ultimate pact weapons and because the it didn't receive increased competition from EB. These invocations buff EB more and pact weapons less, so it's not viable.
>>
>>53645879
Essentially I wrote my character as the son of a poor knight who was rescued from slavery by an elven wizard. It's a guy who was taught swordplay at a young age and then learned magic and combined the two as he got older.
>>
>>53649524
You want the Smite spells for their effects, as the other guy said.
Some are fuckawesome, like Wrathful and Blinding Smite.

Other than that, don't spend all your resources on damage like a retard: be prepared to cast Aura of Vitality or Revivify at all times if you're level 9 or higher, and apart from that, Bless is a serious fucking contender for the best buff spell in the game.
>>
There is a guyplaying Hexblade in my campaign. Now that we know they are not making the cut, would i be considered an asshole for asking him to change his archetype?
>>
>>53649890
>an autist acts creepy and autistic
>this means he deserves a physical beating
you people are just as deranged as the creep DM was
>>
>>53651108
Nothing wrong in asking. Forcing him would be rather dickish though I think
>>
>>53651156
Do you even know what autism is? This is why you're still a virgin.
>>
>>53651174
Of the two of us, you're the one attacking people for not adhering to the textbook usage of a word that is commonly used differently on this platform. I'm pretty sure you're the virgin here. Next you'll be telling people not to call other people fags because they're not gay and it's not PC anyway.
>>
>>53651224
Aww, do you need a safespace?
>>
>>53651108
Hexblade is currently making it in. It's even mentioned again in this UA.
>>
>>53651371
Honestly mate, you should just go ahead and kill yourself. Unlike the beta-version of superiority dice, nobody will miss an autistic sperg like you.
>>
>>53651016
You could just reskin the bladelock to better fit your backstory. Keep the mechanics and change the source of your spells (taught by wizard).
>>
>>53651460
They're making it in a nerfed as fuck version. I've seen the previews. I won't got into more details 'cause I don't wanna give away anything, but fuck Mearls.
Thread posts: 373
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.