[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 354
Thread images: 31

File: Cavalier knight.png (609KB, 1380x953px) Image search: [Google]
Cavalier knight.png
609KB, 1380x953px
>Stream of Annihilation:
http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation

>New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Classes, again
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Implying they're listening to your feedback
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
>>53628257

How does this make you feel?
>>
But anon we were on page 5, is this really neccesary?
>>
>>53634053
>How does this make you feel?
They aren't the same archetype and are not meant to replace one another.
>>
>>53634053
>WotC adds one of the least interesting UA they've made and bitch-slaps Warlocks back to Eldritch blasting only
This UA was profoundly shitty
>>
>>53634089
ordinarily i'd say
>nothing good happens past 330 posts and we're not going to run out of internet ink
but OP is an unfunny fag who posted this image like three times already in the last thread
>>
>>53634089
No but they always do this. Probably just to lower the quality of the 5e threads over time.
>>
>>53634098
>G-g-g-guys, knight wasn't meant as an evolution of cavalier! We can still get it!
Face it, Mearls hates 4e, and will not allow marks to appear in this game.
>>
>>53634102
>make Conquest and Sheperd incredibly powerful
>put Warlock back in a hole
>>
>>53634089
But my Watermellon Knight!
>>
>>53634102
>bitch-slaps Warlocks back to Eldritch blasting only

How? I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>53634127
Mearls is /ourguy/, this is all Perkins' doing.
You know it's him when every martial except Paladin gets the shaft and casters (which he considers Paladin to be an honoray member of) are boosted above and beyond them even further. Even Warlock is a reflection of this; he just shit on Bladelocks with this Smite change.
>>
>>53634154
I could get in an enemy's face with a substandard Pact and burn a spell slot for damage and no extra effect as was present in the previous weapon invocations,
or I could drop a Fireball on their face and AoE other creatures as well from safety while firing all my other EBs
>>
So is Xanathars guide going to just be a UA compilation +maybe some further reaching Lore?
>>
File: Proofster.png (27KB, 614x473px) Image search: [Google]
Proofster.png
27KB, 614x473px
>>53634160
>>
File: holdingdwarf.png (818KB, 474x819px) Image search: [Google]
holdingdwarf.png
818KB, 474x819px
What is this Dwarf's sorrow, /5eg/?
What is the woman's?
Why are they on the DMG page about trebuchets and diseases?
>>
>>53634154
Nerfed smite damage, cut improved pact weapons and removed Cursebringer and the fey bow. The absurd 2d8 2 spell-slot damage made the choice viable.

They also removed pact restrictions on the EB invocations so EB spam got substantially better.
>>
>Wizard: I cast Mage Armor when I wake up and Arcane Recovery while having breakfast
How do you prevent this?
>>
Warlock Invocations/Maddening Hex:
Does this mean a 20 Cha Warlock gets a +5 per round if he damages a hexxed target? Isn't that insane for DPR?
Agonizing Blast damage + Hex Damage + Maddening Hex ? For example my 12 Warlock would do:

3d10 + 3x5 (Agonizing Blast) + 1d6 (Hex) + 5(Maddening Hex)
>>
>>53634206
She's sick senpai
>>
>>53634127
It says right in this UA that celestial replaces undying light. It doesn't say cavalier replaces knight. We're probably getting both if knight tested well. Knight mostly needed a formatting change because the Implacable Mark feature needs to be split up a bit even if it all stays at the same level.
>>
>>53634206
>What is this Dwarf's sorrow, /5eg/
Probably 25 move speed. Also the fact that the race of supposedly great warriors is actually bad at being fighters.
>>
>>53634206
>Dwarf

He can't help her because she's dying of a super plague

>Her

She's dying of a super plague and knows not even magic will help her.

>Why are they

Diseases
>>
>>53634221
Yep, EB continues to eat up everything that could be good about the class.
>>
>>53634206
You can literally see the wound in her belly.

She was pregnant. (early stage).

Now she's gonna die.
>>
>>53634206
The woman is inconsolable because the dead goblin (lower right) frightened her, causing her to spill a chalice of non-alcoholic grape juice on her dress (note the stain). The Dwarf is preparing to snap her neck before her unstoppable wailing attracts more goblinoids and imperils the group of children he is leading out of the slave pens; he regrets this burden, but the younglings deserve a chance at life.
>>
How do I make the blastier sorcerer at level 9? Archetype, spells, etc.
>>
>>53634268
I guess it's spam time, fuck any flavour book of ancient secrets had, I'm swapping it
>>
>>53634128
Druid became a summoner, good luck to anyone playing with one not making combat a mess.

Paladin became good against mooks, terrible against anything else.

Warlocks are just spammers with no-brainer invocations needed to become viable while they keep pumping cool invocations that nobody will ever pick over agonising blast.
>>
>>53634221
>>53634268
And I meant 3d6 for Hex damage. GODDAMN
>>
>>53634301
>Paladin
>Being terrible against anything
You could literally give them an archetype that gives them nothing, and they would still be decent.
>>
What are some cool optimized lvl 15 builds.
>>
>>53634331
Wizard.
>>
>>53634221
Are you suggesting 17.5 + 15 + 10.5 + 5 = 48 damage is too much for a level 12 Warlock that exists to blast people?
>>
>>53634220
Why would you? If they're using Recovery for a single level 1 slot, that means they're level 1 or 2 and need to do whatever they can to stay alive.

Besides, Mage Armor only lasts 8 hours. If something happens in the later part of the day, they'd have to cast it again.
>>
>>53634329
No kidding. Its almost like >>53634301 forgot conquest paladins have smites and spells.
>>
How would you build Odin, Thor, and Loki in 5e? I want to introduce them into my norse-themed campaign at around level 10 for the party to interact with and maybe travel briefly with. Loki and Thor I've got figured out decently, but I really don't know what to do with Odin.

Loki is obviously a College of Whispers Bard, with high charisma, intelligence, and dex, lower strength, wisdom, and con.

Thor is either 8 Tempest Cleric/2 Paladin or 5 Eldritch Knight/5 Tempest Cleric, with high strength, con, and okay other stats.

Odin I think is a toss up between Knowledge Cleric, Raven Queen Warlcok, and Lore Bard with high int, wis, and cha.

Any good ways to refine/streamline this?
>>
>>53634350
It's still the best Warlock DPR, they killed Blade.

Also, 3d10 average is 16.5 and Maddening Hex can deal 5 to every creature in a 5 range of the target.
>>
>>53634435
Don't build fucking gods as player characters. You could even not give them stats and do whatever you want to. All your players need to know for combat against a god at level 10 is "you lose"
>>
>>53634350
I mean, I'm not sure how much damage other classes do, haven't really played anything 'till that level. 48 dpr sounds a lot for a cantrip, even if that's all I have. I do have 3 5lvl spells slots and a 6th lvl Utility spell. Also Rod of the Pact Keeper and Ring of Spell Storing. What do Wizards have at that point making them more damaging? I'm not asking sarcastically.
>>
>>53634453
If Hexbringer doesn't get some crazy powerful shit come the book this fall Bladelocks as a whole are dead.
>>
What's the highest AC I can get with a fighter?
>>
>>53634499
Wizards aren't meant to blow everything up forever. Their AoEs are good but not constant, while Warlocks are acting as more fragile super-archer martials.

If a Wizard wants to kill everything in a room forever he just cheeses even non-combat spells in such a way as to end the fight immediately. They have oodles of utility that can be used creatively to break the game in a way that "I cast Eldritch Blast" or "I swing my sword" doesn't.
>>
>>53634499
The class is designed around that cantrip. We've seen the loops WotC has been trying to jump to make Bladelock viable. Warlocks are more like martials than other casters on that aspect, you do consistent damage over all else.
>>
>>53634435
You really shouldn't try and stat out gods as player characters. Find the most comparable boss in the DMG and use that as a basis.
>>
>>53634511
21. Full Plate (18), Shield (+2), Defense Fighting Style (+1)
Increases after this point are dependant on finding items. +1 armor, +1 shield, a +1 ring or cloak.
>>
>>53634527
Why do they continue to fuck up so hard and constantly leave casters as the most overpowered?
>>
>>53634537
Dex-based Lizardfolk does it the same way (13 base AC + 5 Dex) with a shield and Mariner instead of Defense.
>>
>>53634552
Because 3E irrevocably broke two generations of players.
>>
>>53634531
Except now they are just shitty Paladins with less utility, slots and a far better playstyle sitting next to them in EB spam.

It's comical how bad they keep getting the shaft.
>>
>>53634160
Perkins writes adventures not UA shit
>>
>>53634581
Yes, that is what I meant in that post
>>
>>53634527
>>53634531
Totally get that, but still, 48 DPR is high as fuck isn't it? Considering any spells and such. Fireball does what... 11d6 as 6th level spell? Still less. Sure has damage on a successful save as opposed to rolling against AC, but still less than getting 2 or 1 EBs on the target.
Is EB the most powerful spell with all those additions? Still, asking for real, I haven't played other classes
>>
>>53634579
Stockholm syndrome is a bitch
>>
>>53634588
Yes, Anon, every UA has literally been Mearls alone in a basement, accepting no input from anyone or even telling them that he's working on something. He just emerges from his hole every month and says "this is the way things are now" and everyone puts up with it because they fear his eldritch power.
>>
>>53634579
I'm trying to figure out how to let my Paladin and Fighter players contribute as much to the game as the party cleric and sorcerer. It's kind of hard when the rules actively go against letting anyone that isn't a full caster do something interesting besides 'hit the enemy'.
>>
>>53634497
>>53634536
I'm not really treating them as all-powerful deities in this campaign. The gods are more palpable and interactive in the world and walk among it, while my player's characters exist as lesser gods (and are variations of various lesser Norse deities). I'm trying to build them as player characters because there will be a story later in which my players can actually play them for a series of side-stories.
>>
>>53634608
You shouldn't be comparing Eldritch Blast to spells. It's a weapon attack that just happens to be a cantrip.

Sharpshooter Fighters doing 1d8+15 * 3 are what you're comparing this to, and it doesn't take them investing nearly as many class features or set-up to do that.
>>
>>53634635
You're gonna need more than 20 levels for it, then.
>>
File: increasinglynervousfrog.jpg (49KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
increasinglynervousfrog.jpg
49KB, 480x454px
Anyone have advice for running a campaign with younger folks?

My brothers are 18, 14, 11, and a cousin is 13. They're all ultra-hyper and don't know shit about D&D.

Help.
>>
>>53634617
You're joking, but if you were her for the 5e's playtest, you would know better.
>>
>>53634646
Well now it's a weapon attack that flings fireballs, kills movement, pushes, pulls, and AoE's. Most at the same time.
>>
>>53634648
>older than 10
That's old enough to play RPGs. Shit, I was playing a Shaman King FRPG at that age.
>>
>>53634053
>Level 10 shepard druid
>Summon 16 giant bats with 30 health
>Heal them every round for 5 health
DM is going to love that
>>
>>53634206
They're fine
That's just their Ruty "Chugga Chugga Choo Choo" Rutenberg is our DM face.
>>
>>53634648
Make yourself not give a single fuck.
>>
>>53634646
what the actual fuck are those numbers. where do they get all these from?
>>
>>53634635
Odin being a warlock still doesn't make sense on several different levels. Just homebrew something instead of trying to fit a square peg on a round hole, if you insist on statting them as PCs
>>
>>53634648
I used to run 10 man games in malls its very easy to get these kids to cooperate if you recognize its not going to be a 3 hour session

granted at least at the game store you know the kids had enough interest to beg their parents to show up every week so there was that going for me.
remember that the world WILL be shaped by them and in so doing will be a somewhat childish world even in a serious campaign. Dont feed into it but let it happen to some extent.
remember KISS
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

have an idea for where the story is going to go, dont give them a sandbox right off the bat.
if you are going to let them build their own characters (not always a bad idea) ask them what their characters did before becoming adventurers and what they would do if they had a million gold. this sorta gets rid of a lot of sloppy playing by forcing them to at least think about their character with some depth.
aside from that, just roll with it man its going to be clunky but if you dont get frustrated its going to be a lot of fun too.
they dont have the same expectations of some of us older guys so a halfway decent job will really leave an impression on them.
>>
>>53634633
Your Paladin already has utility magic and high Charisma, which puts him in a good place to do shit to begin with.

Letting the Fighter contribute is as simple as pretending this is an 80s action movie and that everything he attempts doesn't need a roll. Just tell him he succeeds. Kicking down a door? Done, he's got at least 18 Strength, why would you even question whether he could do that? Leaping that chasm? Forget the Athletics checks and the jump distance rules, he clears it because he's a fucking badass who works out all day in heavy armor. Scrambling to catch the flying MacGuffin? He can attack twice as much as anyone else, he's got the reaction speed of a pistol shrimp.

Recall that in early D&D, Fighters who reached 9th level were automatically so fucking awesome and renowned that people from all over the country showed up on his doorstop begging to suck his dick and be trained. They'd drop everything to help him build a fucking castle. Meanwhile, Wizards had trouble finding the components to make a few shitty homonuculi to help them with their mud brick two story tower.

All pure martials are Legolas in the movies, they're John Carter of Mars, they're Conan, they're Snake Plisskin or Jack Burton or literally any Bruce Willis character.
>>
File: WRONG.jpg (52KB, 952x500px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.jpg
52KB, 952x500px
>>53634127
>knight wasn't meant as an evolution of cavalier

It wasn't, you retard.

Cavaliers are mounted combatants.

Knights are battlefield tanks.
>>
>>53634240
>bad at being fighters
?
>>
>>53634698
Longbow (1d8) + 5 Dex damage + Sharpshooter's 10 damage, times three attacks since the other Anon was talking about a level 12 Warlock who had three rays.
>>
>>53634772
Free profs for weapon, armor and shit speed.
>>
>>53634772
He's either "STR is a shitty stat" memeing or referring to Mountain Dwarf's racials being completely redundant for martial classes that already receive proficiency in everything they offer by default.
>>
>>53634772
>Boosts to stats are meaningless, since fighter will max strength and constitution almost instantly
>Wasted armor proficiency, wasted weapon proficiency
>25 speed is a fucking killer, literally. My party can never retreat from combat, because it would mean leaving me to my death.
>>
>>53634053
Well this UA just pissed on my parade for my upcoming Hexblade campaign.
>>
>>53634857
Just use the older version
>>
>>53634781
Yeah that was me. Goddamn thats so nasty
>>
>>53634868
Not up to me, DAM is already saying he's going with the new.
>>
>>53634206
they're out of booze
>>
>>53634814
It would take a Mountain Dwarf Fighter three ASIs to max his Strength and Con, during which he gets no other useful feats but straight stat increases. And that's assuming he dumps everything into 15 Str and Con at creation so he can do a +1/+1, +2, and +2 by level 8. That's pretty much most of the campaign right there.
What are you talking about?

Also, just take a fucking Dash action you nonce. 5-10 feet doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things, and if your table is using granular stats for fucking everything your party also can't stealth anywhere ever or track overland or get the Wizard up the fucking rope. Don't be a ding dong and use group averages instead.

I've played three Dwarves so far and none of them have had any problem retreating, solo or as a group. In fact, I was the only one in the party who survived a kiting battle at low level against orcs, during which I threw just about everything in my backpack and started picking up fucking rocks to defend myself.
>>
>>53634900
>Also, just take a fucking Dash action you nonce.
>implying monsters can't also take dash action
>>
>>53634900
>Dwarf Fighter/ShadowMonk
>fastest party member despite wearing heavy armor and not getting bonus Monk speed
>challenge nobles to horse races and win on foot
>>
>>53634929
Well, now they're not attacking, so kill them. Do you not have ball bearings and caltrops? What the fuck are you doing playing a martial (and a smart-ass tactical Dwarf besides) and not filling your backpack with goodies to help out in any situation?
>>
>>53634893
Then you have a shit DM, and should quit.

Alternatively, play EB Spamming Sorlock and ruin his life.
>>
I need a character for Adventurer's League, give me some ideas.
>>
>>53635024
Variant Human, Paladin, Polearm Master.

Have fun.
>>
>>53634964
>Well, now they're not attacking, so kill them
Wow, anon, you're so clever. Here's how your genius plan will look like in action.
>I dash 50 feet.
>My party dashes 60 feet.
>Enemies dash 60 feet
>In about a round, I am 20 feet away from my retreating party, surrounded by enemies and with no chance to escape
>Dude caltrops lmao
>>
>>53635052
>the enemies are now all clustered around you
>you open your bag of holding and climb inside
>your party throws fireballs
You're so bad at this game.
>>
>>53635052
>wizard can cast grease to cover party's retreat
>ranger can cast expeditious retreat
>wizard can cast wall of [fire, force, water, etc]
>martials can drop caltrops, ball bearings, use the environment, etc
That's just off the top of my head. Sorry you aren't creative anon.
>>
File: 1462477225093.jpg (28KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1462477225093.jpg
28KB, 350x335px
>>53635080
Well memed, my friend.
>>
>>53635080
Not him, but dude, stop trying to save face
>>
>play dwarf fighter
>take mobile feat because i'm not retarded
>can dash 70 feet in a round
>>
>>53635052
This isn't much different from any other retreat. The party still needs to do something to add a gap, otherwise
>party dashes 60 feet
>enemies all take reaction attacks against them as they leave
>enemies dash 60 feet to catch up
>party dashes 60 feet
>enemies all take reaction attacks against them as they leave again
Repeat forever until you're dead. It doesn't matter if your melee character is slower than or as fast as the enemy, he's going to eat opportunity attacks every time.
>>
>>53635092
>Using your action, when you're running for your life
Hope you enjoy being dead
>>
>>53635126
>tfw +2 Str instead of +1 frees up an ASI for something like that
>>
>>53635136
read >>53635129
>>
>>53635136
Ideally the guy using an action is already ahead of the party and the enemies when you all decide to retreat, otherwise you're all fucked because >>53635129
>>
File: b49[1].gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49[1].gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>53635144
>>53635126
YOU NEED TO TAKE GWM OR YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH DAMAGE!
>>
File: TOA.jpg (189KB, 677x1085px) Image search: [Google]
TOA.jpg
189KB, 677x1085px
But.. but, if he's a Demilich, why does he have a body?
>>
>>53635173
That's okay, fighters get a lot of ASI's. I'll pick it up in a few levels.
>>
>>53635136
>he doesn't use his free object interaction to flip a table, knock over a brazier, slam a door, tumble some crates and barrels, or otherwise create environmental hazards or difficult terrain behind him
Pray you're never in a movie chase scene, because you'd be captured and killed within ten seconds.
>>
>>53635191
Magic
>>
>>53635191
that's just a headless corpse he has animated.
>>
So what's the difference between a dinosaur and a zombie dinosaur?
>>
>>53635191
First, demi means half. A man without his body is missing more than half of himself, so demiliches were already shit.
Second, Tomb of Annihilation only goes up to level 10 or so, so he's a pretty shit lich. Clearly the "half" here speaks to his mastery of necromancy; a true badass full-lich would need a significantly more powerful party to defeat him.
>>
>>53635229
one is undead.
>>
>>53635229
Zombie dinosaurs smell worse and are less intelligent, but are now fearless and heedless of their own safety; they won't use tactics, but they also won't retreat or give a shit about your impressive shows of strength or magical mind-fuddling.
>>
>>53635045
I was thinking about a Wizard.
>>
>>53635250
>they won't use tactics
That's a pretty bold assumption to make. Every time I fight a pack of animals or a group of bandits, they all behave like fucking Spetsnaz commandos.
>>
File: 1492284585644.jpg (95KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
1492284585644.jpg
95KB, 1300x866px
If I have a stone sorcerer, should I max Strength, Constitution, or Charisma first?
>>
>>53635230
>tfw Acererak is unspeakably ancient, can hop planets, settings, and rewrite the rules of reality, but he can't even manage to conquer a dirt-farming nation like Chult with an army of undead dinosaurs like based Zhengyi did in just a few years after figuring out how to kill himself and not die
We coulda had Bloodstone Lands 2: Perilous Boogaloo.
>>
>>53635282
Halfling Lucky Divination wizard.
>Look at me, I'm the DM now.
>>
>>53635230

>A lich encountered in its lair has a challenge rating of 22 (41,000 XP)
>Acererak or another demilich like him has a challenge rating of 21 (33,000 XP), or 23 (50,000 XP) in its lair

But that's wrong.
>>
>>53635289
Parse it better, Anon. Dinosaurs would use tactics; ZOMBIE dinosaurs are mindless retards who walk in straight lines and attempt to bite you.
>>
>>53635292
That woman is going to shoot her wrist.
>>
>>53635311
Even the designers don't care about CR.
>>
>>53635343
>woman
anon... I...
>>
>>53634964
>Do you not have ball bearings and caltrops? What the fuck are you doing playing a martial (and a smart-ass tactical Dwarf besides) and not filling your backpack with goodies to help out in any situation?
>As an action, you can spread a single bag of caltrops to cover a 5-foot-square area. Any creature that enters the area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or stop moving and take 1 piercing damage. Until the creature regains at least 1 hit point, its walking speed is reduced by 10 feet. A creature moving through the area at half speed doesn't need to make the saving throw.
>As an action
Got any more of that wisdom, anon?
>>
>>53634756
Not that guy, but I'm in a game where the DM is being somewhat prohibitive with martials and half-casters like paladin. Rarely ever getting long rests is killer for the Paladin, and having most of the interesting shit that Fighters can do basically be worse versions of a spell is just a part of the system.
>>
>>53634053
>Undying Light back as Celestial
My dick is diamonds
>>
>>53635369
I forgot we're in /pol/
That stupid roastie bitch is going to shoot her cuck wrist.
Better?
>>
>>53635417
bruh thats clearly a tranny
>>
>>53635445
>No adam apple
>Feminine hands
Enlighten me.
>>
>>53635445
LIKE ALL MODERN "WOMYN"
Are you happy now?
>>
>>53635445
>bruh thats clearly an elf

FTFY
>>
>>53634221
>20 CHA Warlock
>Isn't that insane?

Naturally.
>>
>>53635416
>abandoning the ambiguous menace that is the inscrutable and alien Positive Plane for "my patron is a legitimate angel who loves me"
>dick-hardening
Why are you even playing a Warlock if dangerous pacts aren't what you're looking for?
>>
>>53635369
I know Cathey, she's legit.
>>
File: 1495682267790.jpg (62KB, 526x799px) Image search: [Google]
1495682267790.jpg
62KB, 526x799px
>>53635343
>>53635369
>>53635417
>>53635445
>>53635465
>>53635468
>>53635473
Someone answer my question pls
>>
>>53635486
>Dude, I made a pact with a plane
Get out of here
>>
>>53635511
kys stone sorcerer is fuckin retarded
>>
>>53635511
>>53635292
I don't know why she'd even bother shooting the fish. It's already suffocating to death. Save yourself the bullet and hearing loss.
>>
>>53635173
Do you HAVE to take GWM if you're a two-handing martial?
>>
>>53635511
................................................................no.
>>
>>53635535
the only correct answer
>>
Anons, I'm trying to convert the Hellbred from 3.5's Fiendish Codex II into a 5e race. How overpowered is this first draft?

5e Hellbred:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Damned and Forsaken: You are Immune to Fear and the Frightened condition. However, because your soul is damned, you cannot be affected by a Raise Dead spell: restoring you to life requires a Resurrection spell.
Findish Mien: You have Proficiency in Intimidation.
Infernal Aspect: Choose either the Tainted Soul or Corrupted Body aspect. Your remaining racial traits are determined by this choice.

Corrupted Body:
Ability Score Modifer: +2 Constitution
Filled With Corruption: You have Resistance to Poison damage, Immunity to the Poisoned condition, and Advantage on saving throws against disease.

Tainted Soul:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Charisma
Whispers of Damnation: You can communicate telepathically with one creature that you can see within 30 feet.
>>
>>53635473
>>bruh thats clearly an elf
OH SHIT NO!
>>
>>53635524
You made a pact with cosmic energy. Is it alive? Is it intelligent? What are its desires, if any? The same can be true of most things in the Far Realm, which the GOOlock specializes in. There's nothing weird here.
>>
>>53635292
None. Get feats instead.
>>
>>53635570
but i already have two feets
>>
>>53635545

If DPR is a priority for you, then it's definitely the most optimal feat.
>>
>>53635583
lol
>>
>>53635583
Good news, the campaign will end before you get another ASI so there's no point wondering about what to do with it
>>
>>53635545
You do if you don't want strangers on the internet whining at you.
>>
File: a u t i s m.png (51KB, 338x288px) Image search: [Google]
a u t i s m.png
51KB, 338x288px
>>53634435
>>
>>53635486
>celestial patron loves the warlock
>doesn't view them as an unfortunate necessity in the war against evil
>doesn't watch their actions like a hawk
Why on earth would you assume that a celestial pact wouldn't be dangerous?
>>
File: 1472106421454.jpg (93KB, 750x705px) Image search: [Google]
1472106421454.jpg
93KB, 750x705px
>>53635583
I see what you did there and am still disappointed.
>>
>>53635599
>tfw you've played five martials and none have had GWM, Sharpshooter, or PAM
>>
>>53635583
lol.
>>
>>53634350
It's worth noting a level 11 Hexblade can deal 2d10+20+2d6+5+Magic Weapon at the same level with Hex up. So they average 43.

Now if you aren't a retard then you can do even better. Elemental Weapon gives +4d4 and +2 on all attacks and PAM gives you another +1d4+10+1d6.

So what a surprise, the melee character requires a weapon feat to be dealing high damage. It's nothing new.
>>
>>53635609
lol why would a holy being of elemental good make a pact with a shithead, it's not like they get to keep your fucking soul when you die like all the fiends and faeries and eldritch horrors from beyond the veil of reality do
>>
File: 1496608991928.jpg (71KB, 525x522px) Image search: [Google]
1496608991928.jpg
71KB, 525x522px
>>53635617
>It's a variant human with any of these at level 1
I immediately kill them within the first session. Reroll bitch.
>>
>>53635535
>>53635554
What's wrong with stone sorcerer?

>>53635570
Hm, hadn't considered that. Normally people say to get your primary Stat to 20 first but I'm not sure they have a primary.

>>53635583
Kek
>>
>>53635583
haha
>>
Every DM I have played with has let the players ignore ammo. I know it's because it's uninteresting busywork, but isnt having to track and restock ammo not a fair tradeoff for archery being the strongest option to anyone who can get it, same as spell slots or any other resource?
>>
>>53635644
I feel dirty even taking resilient
>>
>>53635667
The tradeoff for archery being strong is archery sucking a fat dick if enemies understand what cover, prone, and melee distance are.

If I'm playing an archer, I buy 60 arrows whenever we're in town and I'm good for half the campaign, even if I never recover any of my ammo.
>>
>>53635583
lol
>>
>>53635644
I take things like alert or mobile so I don't look like a complete scumbag, but I actually am
>>
>>53635638
lol why would the invested head of god's church on earth hire mercenaries to fight in the crusades
>>
>>53635691
>party thought they were smart bringing bows to a Wizard fight
>we'll all stand far away from each other so he can't drop fireballs on us all and half his spells will be out of range, teehee
>Wizard lays down behind a desk and is immune to projectiles
>own party's casters are also out of range of for their shit or don't have LoS
>>
>>53635644
>i kill players for taking a feat core to their character's identity

k bro
>>
>>53635699
lol because religion in reality is a sham meant to control the ignorant masses and that's not true of fantasy elf game where god is actually real lmao
>>
>>53635735
wow i tip my fedora to you sir well said
>>
>>53635726
Sorry what I should have said was "You're going to be fighting monsters for a level 4 character because that's what you want to play" :)
>>
File: euphoric.jpg (58KB, 600x668px) Image search: [Google]
euphoric.jpg
58KB, 600x668px
>>53635735
>>
My lvl 9 EK has 23 AC without the use of spells, is that too high? Did my DM fuck up by giving me magic armor, shield, and a ring of protection?
>>
>>53635726
>I need a feat to add character instead of just making the character interesting
>>
Guys the moon druid in my game wants to create a magic-fang-like spell in our game.

What's your opinion on that?
>>
>>53635771
>lvl 9
>magic armor, shield and a ring of protection
Yes he fucked up
>>
>you didn’t want them exclusive to particular Otherworldly Patron options
Fucking what? Who in the fuck wanted that? Why remove all fucking fluff from having invocations? Why make the patron matter even fucking less? Fuck that shit, I'm sticking with the old stuff.
>>
File: Tendies.gif (1MB, 326x256px) Image search: [Google]
Tendies.gif
1MB, 326x256px
>>53635735
>lol because religion in reality is a sham meant to control the ignorant masses
>>
>>53635638
Because good ≠ nice

Because the forces of good are not guaranteed to win against the forces of evil, and so incremental advantage is important

Because every warlock that a celestial makes a pact with is one more warlock who isn't still searching for a patron, and therefore one more warlock who WON'T make a pact with a fiend
>>
>>53635691
Sharpshooter mitigates everything but guys getting in your face, though.
>>
>>53635735
I can't tell if you triggered a bunch of butthurt Christians or if all this fedora memeing is a Pavlovian response to any insinuation that there is no God.
>>
>>53635789
What should I do? Should I tell the DM this is probably too strong? Should I trust him to put forth challenges that will still be difficult? I'm afraid, because my AC is at least 6 above the rest of my group (I dies and rerolled this character. I haven't used him yet, tonight's our weekly game night)
>>
>>53635771
The DM could give you +2 everything and it doesn't matter if he continues to throw appropriately dangerous challenges at the party despite their increased power level.

Are you playing something like Storm King's Thunder? Because he can still kill you just fine despite having 23-27 AC when every giant has +11 AB and deals a third of your health in damage.
>>
>>53635854
Don't stand near cliffs.
>>
>>53635757
Cool, easy XP to level up faster! You're so generous.
>>
>>53635842
its more like saying
women belong in the kitchen
or
blacks commit more crime
regardless if its true or not its really not on topic and makes you look like a total tool
>>
>>53635854
Yes tell him. It's probably easy enough to make a sidequest where some of your items get stolen/somehow stop working, and get then get them back at a later level where they're not insane
>>
>>53635191
Some mild Tomb of Horror spoilers below.

Because demiliches can come back to lichdom if they feed just one soul to their phylactery. So they released Tomb of Horrors with the guarantee of there being a non-zero number of people dying to Soul Trap either in a dumb one shot with characters of that level, or a campaign ending game. He gets tired of these hotshots coming into his tomb, he feeds a soul, comes back and decides to reck shit.
>>
File: the-fruits-of-atheism.jpg (167KB, 686x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the-fruits-of-atheism.jpg
167KB, 686x1024px
>>53635842
>doesn't believe in god
>still capitalizes name
The kikes have brainwashed you well, Jerry.
>>
>>53635638
>it's not like they get to keep your fucking soul when you die like all the fiends and faeries and eldritch horrors from beyond the veil of reality do
Okay, first off, what basis do you actually have for this claim? Nothing in the Celestial patron says that the pact has terms that are any different from those made with other patrons--which, it should be noted, aren't explicitly stated anywhere as governing the eventual fate of a warlock's soul.

Secondly, one of the major themes of good is redemption. So, there's a reason: the holy being of elemental good is attempting to redeem the shithead.
>>
It's been a while since I read Undying Light. Did it always have the stuff about possibly getting your power from a unicorn and wanting to spend your afterlife with them? I am absolutely going to play a character with a unicorn waifu.
>>
>>53634127
Cavaliers are a redo of a 2e kit, the cavalier. Knights are a redo of a 3e/4e class, the knight. They are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>53635927
you capitalize it because you are still referring to a proper noun, you fucking dunce. It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not.
>>
>>53635524
>>53635486
>I made a pact with a plane

Warlock: Pact of the Aeroplane
>Holy shit, you've never seen anything like this before. It's fucking huge, and it can fly? It must be magic as hell, and it's sharing that magic with you.

Bonus Cantrips
>Dancing Lights, Message

Expanded Spell List
>1st: Feather Fall, Jump
>2nd: Blur, Enlarge/Reduce
>3rd: Call Lightning, Wind Wall
>4th: Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm
>5th: Animate Objects, Cone of Cold

1st Level: Engine Evocation
>You can channel the thunderous sound of your patron's jet turbines. Once per long rest, you can emit a massive drone that causes all creatures within 10 ft. of you to make a CON saving throw (8 + Cha. mod + Prof.), taking thunder damage equal to 10 + twice your warlock level on a failed save or half as much on a successful one.

6th Level: Wind Rider
>You are one with the wind and cannot be forcibly moved by any elemental force unless you allow yourself to be. You are unaffected by adverse weather conditions, such as extreme cold.

10th Level: Freedom of Flight
>You may cast the spells "Feather Fall," "Jump," and "Fly" twice per long rest without expending a spell slot to do so. Furthermore, the duration of all these spells is extended to fifteen minutes.

14th Level: Passenger Flight
>When you cast any of the spells affected by your Freedom of Flight feature, you can target all creatures of your choice within a 30 ft. radius of you, regardless of how many creatures you would normally be allowed to target.
>>
>>53635937
No, Undying Light was powered by the bizarre and inscrutable life-giving energies of the Positive Plane, not Good angels and shit that simply channel Positive Energy like the Celestial Warlock follows.
>>
>>53635957
Get your fetish shit out of here
>>
>>53635957
makes as much sense as about half of the pacts WotC has shat out over the years
>celestial
i mean come the fuck on
>>
>>53635976
>bizarre and inscrutable
Yeah, like a paladin's Lay on Hands.
>>
File: jetpackpaladin.jpg (628KB, 1896x2668px) Image search: [Google]
jetpackpaladin.jpg
628KB, 1896x2668px
>>53635977
>>
>>53635784
This is what he's proposing:

>2nd level spell
>1 minute duration
Your attacks when transformed into a beast deal an extra 1d4 damage.
If cast using a higher level spell slot, an extra 1d4 for each level beyond the second.

Any comments?
>>
> Celestial (formerly known as the Undying Light).
Oh, hey. It came back to life.
>>
File: 1495594982829.png (934KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1495594982829.png
934KB, 1000x750px
>>53635954
Woah buddy, no need to peel back all that foreskin.
>>
It's ok to play the wild magic sorcerer in the Adventurer's League? I don't want to look like a jerk.
>>
>>53635996
What is the problem with making a pact with a mysterious and otherworldly entity, simply because that entity happens to be good-aligned? I promise you, there are a decent number of archfey patrons out there who fall on the good end of the alignment spectrum.
>>
>>53636034
>What is the problem with making a pact with a mysterious and otherworldly entity, simply because that entity happens to be good-aligned?
because most of the reason why they are shrouded in mystery is because they arent good or because they are so beyond comprehension that the concepts of good and evil dont even apply
a warlock should have to suffer for his magics.
IMHO.
>>
>>53636028
Go for it. It'll be fun at least.
>>
>>53636028
Do it, and get loaded dice that will constantly drop fireballs on your party.
>>
>>53635977
No one has a fetish for planes.
>>
>>53636066

Did they bring forgotten realms more into regular DnD more than previous editions? it feels like it when they talk about it..it used to seem like two separate settings and now all of their official stuff feels like they've jammed forgotten realms in and got rid of the generic stuff they used to use.

I haven't even seen a single reference to The Art though.
>>
>>53635927
>you capitalized (fictional character) you must believe they're real

Yah I totally believe in Harry Potter because names are capitalized
>>
>>53636095
oh you sweet, sweet child.
>>
File: 1336648743755.jpg (739KB, 1728x2486px) Image search: [Google]
1336648743755.jpg
739KB, 1728x2486px
>>53636095
anon.......
>>
>>53636105
It is now the default setting, yes.
>>
Anyone ever play a decent spellsword? I'm waiting on my first campaign to start with my friends and I'm using a homebrew class I found online for my character. Spellblade on the dandwiki.
>>
>>53635997
The Negative and Positive Planes are even more elemental than the primary Elemental Planes. They don't have ruling entities or Gods / Primordials, they don't have cities built in them, and they don't even spontaneously manifest various Outsiders or Elementals like those planes do.

In fact, the only thing that you'll find in either are xag-ya and xeg-yi. That's already super weird, because it's only one type of creature for the whole plane, whereas the others are full of life. It gets weirder since no one is even sure if these things are alive (Positive Energy actually kills things, and the Negative xeg-yi aren't Undead) or if they're even native to the planes and not some kind of actual alien.

What do they want? Why are they there? What are they up to when they're found outside of their planes? No one fucking knows, because they're completely unintelligible. At least GOOlocks have some vague sense of what their distant Star God wants them to do, but what the Hell does "Positive Energy" want? Total and complete mystery.
>>
What's another good name to call a Half-elf race choice? Elves in my setting are not playable and are closer to a spirit of nature, and so Half-Elves instead are a sort of spiritually changed being, either through change in the womb or conceived by a mortal and a spirit.They're more a mutt kind of creature rather than something that founds dynasties.
>>
>>53636105
Everything settingwise so far has been FR except Curse of Strahd. That's not changing this year, because the fall release is set in Chult. But it's not the Sword Coast, so that's something.
>>
>>53636171
>dandwiki.
Get out.
>>
>>53635129
>Not using chase rules when the party decide to retreat.

>So much autism.
>>
>>53636171
>danddwiki
Anon you must know better than this
>>
>>53636190
Don't bring that shit to me, talk to the other Anon crying about not being able to flee because he has 25 speed when it was already pointed out that his group should be using chase rules. >>53634900
>>
>>53636171
Don't use dandwiki. Anyone can put stuff on there, and it's infamous for having total garbage. Consider eldritch knight, hexblade warlock, or bladesinger wizard. There might be good Homebrew that does what you want too, but it's best to dismiss all of dandwiki sight unseen.
>>
>>53636187
They made mention that it will be very easy to take Tomb of Annihilation and remove it from FR for use in your own campaigns.
>>
File: Planes.jpg (380KB, 1600x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Planes.jpg
380KB, 1600x1205px
>>53636095
Speak for yourself, faggot.
>>
>>53634127

4e was terrible. I hate what it did to FR. Whoever created it should be shot.
>>
>>53636095
You fool, you're tempting fate.
>>
>>53636199
I don't. Like I said, first time playing. What's wrong with dandwiki and where should I be going to find good homebrew shit?
>>
>>53636230
>it's in Hollow World now
>Acererak replaced by some Entropy Immortal going full rogue
>>
>>53636235
ha
>>
>>53636183
The Undying Light warlock specified that you didn't make your pact with a specific entity, so xag-ya and xeg-yi are off the table. You made your pact with the energy radiating from the plane.

>At least GOOlocks have some vague sense of what their distant Star God wants them to do, but what the Hell does "Positive Energy" want? Total and complete mystery.
Thank you for pointing out why it made for a poor patron.
>>
>>53636259
>good homebrew
there's your problem.
>>
>>53636171
>Dandwiki
No, but in all seriousness paladin is the only real option besides weird multiclassing. They just killed Bladelocks today.
>>
>>53636259
>good
>homebrew
i genuinely believe these are mutually exclusive
>>
>>53636230
They're obviously not concerned with consistency if Acererak is showing up in the Realms. I'm pretty sure they want the Realms to be Greyhawk but don't want to give up their Drizzts and Elminsters.
>>
>>53636230

FR is so big you could probably just move your world into it and it would still work. Just leaving Toril has a huge map of empty places.
>>
>>53636259
>homebrew
>good
There is no such thing, as far as classes and races go its either way overpowered or worse than the stadard options
>>
>>53636259
>where should I be going to find good homebrew shit?
The DM's Guild, if you must. Check the reviews and ratings, and don't spend money.
>>
File: 1494311164964.gif (1MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1494311164964.gif
1MB, 360x270px
>>53636095
>>
>>53636289

FR is only reason they've made any money in last two decades, to point it has over-taken the brand, so now they're breaking it down into parts and fashioning it how they like.

It's going to be weird.
>>
>>53636288
>>53636305
Saying you've never seen good homebrew is one thing, but the idea that it's literally impossible for anyone except WotC to be decent at design makes no sense.
>>
>>53636276
I didn't say you made a pact with xag-ya or xeg-yi, I used them as an example of how the Positive Plane is more inscrutable than places like Fire. Positive Energy is the stuff of life itself, wholly chaotic and incomprehensible, necessary for existence but also destructive.

>not knowing what it wants makes it a poor patron
You don't need to know what it wants, the DM does. And if your Patron tells you exactly what it actually wants, you're all doing a bad job of playing up the typical Warlock-Patron relationship, because fiends, fey, and eldritch horrors don't tell the truth.
>>
>>53636289
Pretty much this. Tomb Of Annihilation is basically Eberronlite + "Hey guys remember the Tomb Of Horrors and Acererak?!!"
>>
>>53636337
I'm saying its never balanced to fit the game
>>
>>53636259
As a new player stick to core untill you figure out what is and isn't balanced in 5e
>>
>>53636278
>>53636288
>>53636305
Good homebrew exists, but the people who write it are paradoxically usually the kind of people who don't care about it being hugely popular.
>>
>>53636359
At least it being Eberron lite is good for my Eberron campaign.
>>
File: ecomproducts-img1-73.jpg (74KB, 400x528px) Image search: [Google]
ecomproducts-img1-73.jpg
74KB, 400x528px
>>53636065
Being outrageously righteous can lead to suffering or terror. There's a reason the default introduction for angels in the bible is "don't be afraid". They expect you to have superhuman amounts of good in you. Your life is meaningless, the only thing that matters is what you do with it. So they expect you to die doing good, or else they get mad.
>>
File: 1463251092545.png (92KB, 253x224px) Image search: [Google]
1463251092545.png
92KB, 253x224px
>DM says we'll play a Planescape campaign after the summer
>say cool, it's gonna be good to see different things all the time
>says we'll go into Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Birthright, FR, Greyhawk and one more, but not Eberron cause it sucks
>I look at him weird but say nothing
I thought planes are like "the elemental plane of earth" or "the plane where all the angels are" or "hell" not different campaign settings
I didn't want to sound stupid so I just said nothing
>>
>>53636337
>the idea that it's literally impossible for anyone except WotC to be decent at design makes no sense.
its more than that, classes should be kept simple playing far enough outside of the fighter, wizard, rogue and cleric classes is mostly cancer even if it is WotC publishing it and its twice as bad if people are trying to make classes for themselves.
>>
>>53636377
>good
>not hugely popular
Cult classic homebrew? I'm not buying it
>>
>>53636374
Annoyingly my dm is insisting we play 3.5 for some reason. Something about 5e being to mathy or some shit, idk haven't talked to him. Honestly I don't even think the game is ever going to start anyway, I just looked for classes in 5e because it seemed more streamlined and easier to read.
>>
Can someone please take a look at these?

>>53635784
>>53636007
>>
>>53636383
>Being outrageously righteous can lead to suffering or terror
thats very far removed from selling your soul or having a demonic pact with or tainting yourself with knowlege of the unknowable.

what you are describing is already possible with divine classes and doesnt need to seep into a class that pretty much is entirely based on flavor to begin with.
>>
>>53636355
If nobody knows what it wants, that's going to include most DMs, unless they write the entire campaign's plot around the warlock character. Which is a problem in and of itself.

Celestial patron is cleaner and, frankly, offers a wider variety of new character concepts. At most tables, Positive Energy as a patron would more or less just end up being "like GOOlock, but with different powers". Celestial lets you play with different parts of Faust.
>>
>>53636423
No, moon druids already can heal themselves as a bonus action using spellslots, it ain't necessary
>>
>>53636362
Just as long as there's no pretense that official stuff is, either. There's just a lot more homebrew so there's more garbage to sift through than with WotC stuff, instead of just being able to go "beast master sucks four elements sucks sorcerer sucks".

In fact, speaking of Four Elements, the remaster of that is a good example of decent homebrew, though I guess there's the argument to be made that it's not wholly original if you want to be pedantic.
>>
this>>53636397 that>>53636377 sounds like total bullshit
>>
>>53636408
>Annoyingly my dm is insisting we play 3.5 for some reason. Something about 5e being to mathy or some shit, idk haven't talked to him. Honestly I don't even think the game is ever going to start anyway, I just looked for classes in 5e because it seemed more streamlined and easier to read.

Well first off I'm calling bullshit as of now, second of go find the pf thread their closer to 3.5 and can help you.
>>
>>53636397
I didn't say it would never become hugely popular, just that they don't usually care enough to post it on every homebrew aggregation site or attempt to promote it.

The harder someone is trying to get you to try their homebrew, the more likely it is to be shit.
>>
>>53636386
You're right. Planescape can be connected to every prime material plane setting, but it's mainly about the outer and inner planes. Your game sounds like a crossover.
>>
>>53636408
>Annoyingly my dm is insisting we play 3.5 for some reason.
You literally came to the wrong thread.
>>
>>53636386
Planescape kind of assumes an FR cosmology (of which Ravenloft is a part of) but all of that could be changed to work with another setting.

Dragonlance, Birthright, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Eberron are all different settings, but if you assume a setting where all are present they'd be what you'd call different spheres or "spaces", not planes. They have planes within them, and it's been said before that you can actually get from Forgotten Realms to Dragonlance via an astral river, then go on to Greyhawk, then get back to Forgotten Realms. How else do you think all these fucking Greyhawk guys show up in FR, or actual Earth-ass Egyptians wound up in FR's Mulhorand?
>>
>>53636397
No, the kind that is likely made for usage at their table and at best posted once on the internet with no further promotion or monetization. Homebrew, in general, is never "popular" to begin with. The one notorious homebrew thing I know of was made by Matt Mercer
>>
>>53636408
Your DM is fucking retarded.
>>
>>53636474
Fully aware this is the 5e thread. Posted because the class I picked was technically 5e and I've looked mostly at 5e stuff because it seems like the more I look at 3.5e stuff, the more I say "fuck that"
>>
>>53636383
Biblical angels aren't Forgotten Realms Upper Plane Outsiders.
>>
How come everyone I helped turn out to be powerful people? I might as well change my alignment to good and change my class to paladin. I just want to be a ranger that tell people to get out of nature and monster to go back into nature.
>>
>>53636431
It's literally selling your soul the other way though. You have given up human comforts in a way that paladins and clerics haven't. You're not just a messenger or defender, you are literally an extension of your patron. You just signed up for the most ascetic life imaginable. In fact, I would argue because of the nature of having a Celestial as your patron, you actually have even less agency than a demon or eldritch being. A demon wants to make the deal as lucrative as possible, an eldritch being isn't even aware, but a Celestial would be a lot more involved. Rather than just knowing that when you die you're going to hell, you constantly have some fucking Seraphim and it's infinite glory sitting behind your eyes. Fucking, drinking, eating excessively, even buying goods made with child labor. All those luxuries are gone because you need to invest every ounce of yourself to your patron. Angels don't make one deal and that's it, they have ongoing relations and requests. Think about Abraham being asked to kill his own son as a test of faith. That's the kind of shit to expect from a Celestial patron, though maybe less directly.

Celestial aren't scary because they trick you, they're scary because of the responsibility and required level of conduct they place on you at all times.
>>
>>53636493
5e stuff is going to be literally useless to you in a 3.5e group, though. They're vastly different.
>>
>>53636436
>unless they write the entire campaign's plot around the warlock character
Why would this ever be necessary? Where do you get these ideas?

>Celestial patron is cleaner
It's a lot more fucking boring, that's for sure. Wow, I'm a Cleric with Warlock features instead, what a new character dynamic.
>>
>>53636512
>You have given up human comforts in a way that paladins havent
fuck dnd has really gotten away from its roots
>>
File: Spelljammer.jpg (73KB, 736x568px) Image search: [Google]
Spelljammer.jpg
73KB, 736x568px
>>53636479
That's where Spelljammer comes in.
>>
>>53636536
You're why 5e sucks.
>>
>>53636442
What if I rule it as concentration?
>>
>>53636357
I like to think of all the different parts in an adventure as scenes.
I open up a scene with a description, I stop when players get to make a meaningful choice, their actions have some results and then I end the scene, and then immediately open up the next scene. This final bit is important, otherwise the pacing is lost and players lose focus and other buzzwords such as immersion.

For example they open a door, I describe the room, then I tell them three shadowy figures are lurking in the dark. Players get to choose what they want to do. Combat happens, the party wins, I describe the end of the scene as the final foe is defeated, and then immediately proceed to the next scene: I briefly re-describe the room they are currently in and ask them what they want to do. That's a different "scene" from the combat in my book.
>>
>>53636558
Sounds like Storytelling. Are you a Vampire ST?
>>
>>53636514
Ya... I've been trying to get this lazy fuck to start the game for like a year now and his excuse was "I don't have anywhere to set up my computer" he's constantly going off his meds and periodically get really antisocial and pissy. Idek what we're doing ight now, he won't fucking talk to anyone
>>
>>53636550
what because I think warlocks arent paladins and because I like paladins with vows?
5e is pretty deconstructionist and thats fine and all but it does open itself up to some pretty ridiculous options.
>>
>>53636512
Oh, also, don't forget one of the main things they actually mention.

Part of you has now basically been to heaven, and yet you're still trapped here in the shitty materiel world. It's the ultimate in what could be, but isn't. I can't imagine that does eat away at a person. And even if it does, you still have to uphold your pact to do good so you can't just off yourself.
>>
>>53636436
>Writing some basic stuff as guidelines for interacting with character is "writing the whole campaign about them"

Fuck off and stay fucked off brainlet.
>>
>>53636536
>Clerics (and Paladins) could already be empowered by non-Gods from the Upper / Lower Planes
>then Paladins didn't even have to be Good
>then Paladins lost all of that and are empowered by thinking hard
>Warlocks were empowered by half of what Clerics were
>then a bunch of other stuff that Clerics weren't
>and now they can be empowered by everything Clerics can, including things that don't want to dick them over at all, completely trashing the danger of being a Warlock
Life is suffering.
>>
>>53636555
So it's like hunter's mark? Just give them hunter's mark
>>
>>53636607
holy fuck this is some straight retardation >>53636628
i know anon
>>
>>53636591
Start the damn game yourself than
>>
>>53636589
>Are you a Vampire ST?
What's a Vampire ST?
I still let my players do what they want to do, it's not like I'm telling a story and only let them act in combat.
>>
>>53636659
A storyteller(same as GM) for Vampire The Masquerade and other White Wolf games.
>>
>create new character for new campaign
>roll
>13, 13, 12, 12 7, 7 as a Fighter/Rogue Triton
This is fucking unplayable.
>>
>>53636696
>roll
you deserved it.
>>
>>53636657
Idk how to dm, never touched a ttrpg before. Nigt just have one of my other friends learn 5e and dm for us. He was willing to before and he even wrote part of a storyline. Would've rather had a veteran do it but oh well.
>>
>>53636386
While that is what you could do with planescape its not what you should be doing with it really.
>>53636235 is the map of the planes and the Outlands.
>>
>>53636720
Why not learn yourself, DMing isn't that hard, you could probably play through the starter set and be just fine
>>
>>53636696
no it's not unplayable you fucking number-wanker
>>
File: 1484839075510.jpg (257KB, 968x1998px) Image search: [Google]
1484839075510.jpg
257KB, 968x1998px
>>53636696
>rolling
>deciding class and race and then rolling
>>
>>53636628
>i want to play a cleric but i don't want to have to do anything my god likes
>do i even need a god
Coming in 6E, you won't.

>i want to play a paladin but i don't want to be good
>okay cool now i can be non-good but i don't want this stringent moral code either
>you know, even this less stringent moral code is getting on my nerves, can't i just do whatever i want and still be magic
We're close! We have an archetype that stands for nothing.

>i want to be a warlock but i don't want to serve some shadowy master who doesnt have my best interests at heart
>cant i just pull arcane magic out of my butthole like a wizard
Now you can have a glowy master who DOES have your best interests at heart.

>i want to play a wizard but i don't want to have to read books or study magic or think about things or be smart
>and i don't want to be a sorcerer either because they suck
Good news, that was always possible, and it's even easier in 5E now that you don't need high INT to cast high level spells.

I can't wait to see what horrors the future holds.
>>
So where on wizard's site do they show a list of upcomming products i find it very hard to navigate the site
>>
>>53636762
6e will have a figher class that intimidates you so hard you take psychic damage
he will have a spell table and str will be a dump stat
>>
>>53636749
For 5e it is though
>>
>>53636762
>I'm a Barbarian
Cool
>from the city
All right
>who is calm and collected
But it's all a front for a deep-seated, seething rage?
>no he barely ever displays emotion
What
>and he wears heavy armor
Hold up, how did you even get that proficiency
>feats. also he uses a bow
stop
>his life goal is to become a logging magnate and create a successful mercantile empire
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>New threads when the old one is only on Page 5 or 6
>Low-quality bait as the OP image
>Stream of Annihilation link is still in the OP

Where did everything go so wrong?
>>
>>53636853
you see we reflavored "rage" as "meditation" and gave him a ki pool but kept his hit dice at a d12
its a pretty cool class :^)
>>
>>53636762
You forgot the bard that doesn't play any instruments and it's just a rogue with magic.
>>
>>53636874
stopped when people who hate feats and whatnot became the norm here.
>>
>>53636842
No, Fighters actually try to intimidate regularly.
The 6E Fighter will lie to your face and say he stabbed you, but it will be so convincing you'll think he actually did, and take the appropriate psychic damage.
But he can't lie if he's wearing armor, and his only proficiencies are clubs and light crossbows, which he fires with Charisma.
>>
>>53636874
Make your own, we'll follow.

The problem is no ones making an alternative to Summerfags
>>
GUYS

What are the headlines on the revised class options?
>>
Wow this UA is shit.

>unicorn spirit totem
GAAAAAY

They should scrap this shit and give you a choice of a spirit animal (which you could refluff as desired, but have to pick and stick to some mechanics). The spirit animal then gives buffs and shit. Don't let it attack so it doesn't step on the toes of beast masters, and keep it as an intangible spirit so that it doesn't step on familiar's toes either.

But maybe DO give it hitpoints? Let it step in and protect the druid it belongs to?
And allow touch spells to be cast through it like a familiar?

I think having shepherd druid become a summoner, in a game where you aren't even by RAW (RAI too) supposed to be able to pick your summons with those spells will slow combat to a fucking crawl. Not to mention the way you calculate extra HP is going to take extra time too. Instead of a flat bonus it's "hey calculate how much HP they would have based on their hit dice". It's not difficult math, but it's gonna take longer than a second, which is too long.
>>
>>53636874
>New threads when the old one is only on Page 5 or 6
No one cares, faggot. I'll make a goddamn new thread the moment we hit 300 posts and you'll fucking like it and post in it.
>>
>>53636749
He will most likely be the weakest character in the party. Stats matter. Rolling on a system where stats are as prominent as 5e is a bad idea. Yes, with a good group and a good DM you can still have plenty of fun, but it doesn't change the gameplay issue
>>
>>53636917
>>unicorn spirit totem
>GAAAAAY
this 1000x
>>
I'd play a classless system if I could but all the people I play with refuse to play anything other than the most recent D&D. They're good people, but they are like this. Diluting classes is the closest I'll ever get to a classless system.
>>
>>53634857
Just play a hexblade that uses not-two-handed weapons and spams EB, like was always optimal for Hexblade in the long run.
>>
>>53636880
Yeah, but I'm okay with that one.
I want to play a fucking Sonomancer, not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J8FYKZ52w
>>
>>53636959
>I'd play a classless system if I could
this sounds like a really awful idea.
we saw how feats worked in 3.5 i couldnt image having an entire game work off of a similar premise
>>
>>53636923
>Potion of Purple Drank
>Watermelon Knight
>Basketball Cleric
>Kang Background
>Chaotic Gud
>>
>>53637038
There's like a bajillion games that work like that. CoC, Deadlands, VtM, and so on. You just put points into various traits and skills to build whatever class you like. If you want to play something that performs like an up-close melee combatant, you just give it tankiness and some close-in weapon skills.
>>
>>53637038
Classless systems are great. And they don't require feats to work.
>>
>>53637069
>>53637075
yeah i guess thats true but I guess I was still thinking in terms of 5e seeing as how this is still the 5e gen
>>
>>53636720
>Idk how to dm
D&D uses almost entirely the same rules for the DM as the players. All you need to know is how to set up a story with variables the players can influence. One of the reasons D&D is considered accessible is the rules are simple and can, when they get complex, sometimes practically run the game for you.
>>
File: sdaf.png (2KB, 178x75px) Image search: [Google]
sdaf.png
2KB, 178x75px
>>53636923
you are up, my man!
>>
>>53637095
It could work. You'd just use point-based skill proficiency instead. Athletics is your Str-based melee stuff, Arcana is magic casting, and so on. You'd have to give Con some skills though. You get so many proficiency points to assign between all the stats (so at first level you're picking +1 or +2 Athletics, not all or nothing).
>>
>>53637038
Systems without classes just tend to be point buy all around. I've only played Mutants and Masterminds in that respect which is pretty good. You get a pool of points based on the campaign "power level". The power level essentially just caps how high your numbers can get and how many ranks of stuff you can buy. There's an extremely intricate system for building superpowers which can easily repurposed for different types of campaign.
>>
>>53637130
sounds like it would devolve into mono build really quickly unless you were given the option to take some class features some how or at least limit spell casters based on school
>>
>>53634497
>His gods don't frequently visit the world through non conspicuous Avatars that enable them to tamper with fates of man.

Anon, I'm so sorry for your loss

Odin, the Will and the Way, the All Seeing Eye, who hung himself from the world tree for Wisdom and Knowledge is most definitely a Knowledge Cleric with a couple of levels in Fighter (or Paladin if you can muster the Charisma and want Caster progression. He is also a trickster of sorts, so it wouldn't be too out of character)
>>
>>53635637
You can't use Elemental Weapon on a magic weapon. You can't use Elemental Weapon at the same time as Hex. You can't use Maddening Hex at the same time as making a bonus attack with PM. You can't use a polearm and still attack using Cha, so you don't get the full +10 damage bonus: You'd have to switch to a quarterstaff and deal less base damage. You can't expect to keep your concentration for very long fighting in melee range with medium armor and no shield. Lifedrinker requires level 12, not 11.

Though, at level 12 a Hexblade can deal (1d10+10+4+2d4)*2 + 5 on subsequent rounds from maddening hex, which is a good 49-54 on one enemy until concentration fails. 41 without the Hexblade's curse.

Or taking PM, can deal (1d8+10+2d4)*2+1d4+10+2d4 for 56.5, dropping to 41.5 once concentration drops.

Both of these are using a versatile weapon in two hands to eke out more damage.

A Hexblade could also Agonizing EB for (1d10+5+4+1d6)*3 +5 on subsequent rounds for 54-59 with Hex.
>>
>>53635638
You're basically asking "Why would Supernatural get 12 seasons?"
>>
>>53637281
Not sure what actors who can pass as teens making out shirtless has to do with D&D
>>
>>53635801
So now I can take ALL the EB invocations. (1)Agonizing, (2)Repelling, (3)Frosty, (4)Grasping Eldritch (5)Spear/Lance/Kiss (6)of Mephistopheles. If you catch my meaning. Did I miss any?
>>
File: andestemple.jpg (489KB, 1378x900px) Image search: [Google]
andestemple.jpg
489KB, 1378x900px
>>53637123
just for you, hot stuff

>>53637363
>>53637363
>>53637363
>>
>>53637376
Its a dick joke right?
>>
>>53637376
>two Warlocks with Frosty Spears applying Repelling or Grasping from opposite sides of an enemy to pingpong him around and prevent him from going anywhere or reaching them
>forever
>>
File: 1364434430472.gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1364434430472.gif
2MB, 250x188px
in Curse of Strahd, if the PCs found a recipe to create a potion similar to The Witcher's "Black Blood" would it be overpowered?

I was thinking, it's a potion that turns your blood into poison for a minute,
- any creature that hits you with a bite attack suffers 3d6 poison damage,
- any creature that tries to drink your blood is afflicted by the effects of a Potion of Poison, bypassing all resistances and immunities

Potion of Poison is in the DMG, it does 3d6 per turn with a Con save to reduce it by 1d6 per round until it reaches 0 and fades.
>>
>>53637165
Not if you have psuedo-classes, like Shadowrun.
>>
>>53636007
Like a highly specific and weaker form of the Enlarge spell? Probably not imbalanced.
>>
>>53636066
It'll be fun only if your DM actually lets you roll wild surges. Otherwise there will be no fun.
>>
File: 1489380853305.gif (1MB, 503x608px) Image search: [Google]
1489380853305.gif
1MB, 503x608px
So which of the 40 million new videos uploaded by D&D's youtube is the actual full Stream of Annihilation? Seems like they're all just highlight videos and such. There are a couple hour + ones but I can't tell if those are just the next episode of Dice Camera Action or the actual Day 1 game. Anyone know?
>>
>>53637617
They don't upload full streams anymore.
>>
>>53637617
Check out their twitch channel
>>
>>53636447
The four elements remastered is still not up to the quality of open hand and shadows though it is at least up to a similar power level.
>>
>>53637617
>>53637684
Twitch_tv/dnd>videos>past broadcasts
>>
>>53636496
No, but FR heaven is more awesome and accessible than biblical heaven. Your warlock literally met an angel, saw heaven, and was forever altered by the knowledge that mortals were not meant to have. You know how resurrection fails because people don't want to come back? There's a reason for that.
>>
>>53636762
>Now you can have a glowy master who DOES have your best interests at heart.
The celestial loves the world and wants you to make it a better place. It wants you to go to heaven when you die. The celestial wants you to spend your entire life helping people and then die. It does not have your best mortal interests in mind.
>>
>>53637375
>actors who can pass as teens
What the hell kind of teenagers do you know?
>>
>>53637477
I see now that you need to add concentration and cut down the scaling at higher levels. But yes, something like that could work.
>>
>>53635389
>walk 25 ft away, drop caltrops
>Drop another set of caltrops in the next square over (enough to cover standard 10 ft wide corridor), move another 25 ft
>Anything that follows has to slow to cross the caltrops or take damage and have their movement speed reduced, thus slowing it more than the dwarf's speed allowing it to escape
>>
Our Dm makes us roll stats everytime we make a character. I have rolled a 15, 13, 10 and the rest 12s. Using only published material (ie: not unearthed arcana), is there any way to make something halfway decent. Our party needs a skilly monkey, or a face.
>>
>>53637468
Not at all overpowered, as it's a pretty niche thing
>>
>>53637468
Make it necrotic damage.
>>
>>53638148
>roll extremely well
>"is there any way to make something halfway decent"

You can play literally any class and do well.
>>
>>53638262
Making it necrotic damage defeats the main purpose of it killing vampires. Besides, most things that are going to bite you already lack poison resistance
>>
File: c2a.jpg (16KB, 378x434px) Image search: [Google]
c2a.jpg
16KB, 378x434px
>Eldritch Smite
>Force damage and Prone on all creatures Huge or smaller

Holy shit that's fucking great.
>>
>>53638341
It's literally a hyper-nerfed version of something that existed in previous UAs. It's also worse than Kiss of Mephistopheles and it requires the squishy Warlock to enter melee with the enemy.
>>
>>53638386
Specifically, it's worse than the original invocations. It's worse than AoA. It's about comparable to Hellish Rebuke. And it's worse than Kiss of Mephistopheles.
>>
>>53636959
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448731-Simple-classless-5e-PEACH

I found this in a basic google search for homebrew. This is how I'd do it, I think
>>
>>53638066
I think he's referring to it taking an action to drop a set.
This is why you go thief rogue if you want to be tacticool.
>>
New DM

Running group through LMoP.

When should I start making my own adventures instead of other modules? Pretty scared of the sandbox to be honest.
>>
>>53636848
>>53636940
I don't get this. With bounded accuracy, stats don't seem to matter as long as proficiency picks up any slack. Hell one of the constant complaints I've seen about bounded accuracy was how small the disparity of success rate is between someone proficient in a skill and someone without that proficiency. So if a complete idiot can outmatch an expert based solely on a roll, why would having only moderate ability scores be any more than a minor hindrance compared to having pinnacle scores?
>>
>>53638905
Just start immediately. Make shit up and pretend you planned it all along.

It's the easiest shit ever.

>oh uh, up ahead is a large tower
>players want to check it out
>oh fuck..uh okay. There is a big iron door that appears to be the entrance
>I try to open it

Just try and think about what would be interesting. Throw it at them, see how they respond. Don't freak out if they "win" because they should have successes just as they should have failures. Be a cool guy DM and be on their side.
>>
>>53638905
It's worth noting that making up your own adventures is much easier imo than running one from a book.
Mainly because you can make it up and change things as you need to.
Also, because it's your creation it's a thousand times easier to keep everything straight in your head.
>>
>>53636248
I actually like 4e mechanically, and even ran a few FR games with it that worked out fine.

I just ignored everything 4e did to FR because it was shit.
Thread posts: 354
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.