[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 34

File: southamericanvampires.jpg (81KB, 564x760px) Image search: [Google]
southamericanvampires.jpg
81KB, 564x760px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Conquistador Edition

>Unearthed Arcana Update
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Past arguments:
>>53578982

What else do you want out of Indiana Jones, Undeadosaur Hunter? Have you ever run a campaign in a jungle setting? How familiar are you with Chult? Are you tired of the Tomb of Horrors yet? Will you use Meatgrinder Mode?
>>
>>53584201
Honestly I want more support for later game play in any way shape or form.
>>
Undead dinosaurs is probably the dumbest thing I have seen in D&D in a long time.

Whatever, FR is a massive shithole anyway.
>>
>>53584201
Doesn't meatgrinder mode depend on the DM though? Like with the stream game, he was just relentlessly throwing people to their deaths and crushing them with 90 damage
>>
Been tinkering with some ideas for modding the game. My players keep bitching about "muh skill points", so I thought I'd meet them halfway with this:

>Skills come in several tiers
>>Nonproficient (+0)
>>Proficient (+2)
>>Trained (+5)
>>Expert (+8)
>You are Nonproficient with all skills unless otherwise noted
>You are Proficient with your Background, Class, and Racial skills
>At 1st level increase 2/3/4 skills by 1 rank, selected from your class skills
>At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level increase a single skill rank of your choice
>Skills ranked above Expert increase by +1 per rank
>Jack of All Trades makes all skills at least Proficient rank
>Expertise increases two selected skills by 1 rank

Probably shit, but I'd appreciate anyone taking a second to tell me where I did/didn't fuck up.
>>
>>53584255
I can already see the pitch meeting that went down
>So uhh you know how people like zombies right?
>Yeah
>They also like dinosaurs right?
>Yeah
>Well what if we like combine the two and make undead dinosaurs?
>….......... Fund it
>>
>>53584280
Can't be worse than Storm King's Thunder
>>
>>53584278
Forgot to mention this replaces Proficiency.
>>
Our DM finally kicked our group's Edgelord/That Guy.

Can't wait for all the much better sessions we're all gonna have now.
>>
>>53584255
You have no sense of fun, their idea sounds pretty great.
>>
File: tumblr_nov0cvPCu11ro2bqto1_500.jpg (88KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nov0cvPCu11ro2bqto1_500.jpg
88KB, 500x378px
can someone post a scan of the B&W player's handbook? I don't want the transcript and the version i want isn't in the trove.
>>
>>53584280
>If it isn't fighting bandits for 10 levels, it's shit
>>
>>53584299
What was he doing that warrented getting kicked out
>>
>>53584288
Give it time, I'm sure WotC will pull it off somehow.
>>
>>53584315
Nice strawman you make it yourself?
>>
Would it break Druids if I said that taking on a Wildshape reduces the new form's HP by an equal proportion to the character's humanoid form's missing HP? ex: human-form Druid is at 50/100 and turns into a bat that normally has 20 HP, instead winding up at 10/20.
>>
>>53584288
that's like, your opinion man.
>>
Does seeing zombie dinosaurs count as my druid seeing dinosaurs
>>
>>53584365
Nah the bandits took it when they raided the same farm the party's seen eight times already every time they go back to sell the +1 item you gave them because none of them can use it
>>
>>53584341
>>53584288
What's everyone's problem with SKT?
>>
I want undead raptors and the minis to go with them. I will buy them all.
>>
>>53584389
Buy the plasic toy dinosaurs and glue them to bases
>>
>>53584304
I'm sure there is a program to convert it to black and white
>>
>>53584319
Constantly metagame.
Never contribute anything of value to character interactions.
Complain about others talking 'too much' and acting like they're the reason he never speaks up.
Switch characters mid-campaign because his original one was too boring and sucked at talking, then still never talk despite being a 19 Cha Warlock and being the same edgelord as before.
Never able to take any joke at his expense, neither IRL nor in-character.
Always attempt to rule-lawyer everything, even when it was just something the rest of us wouldn't have taken so exact and even our DM was fine with letting pass to make things flow better and generally for fun.
Go into lengthy rules discussions for no reason, disrupting shit all the time.
Final nail in the coffin was asking for 5 bucks gas money after driving me home from our session after we didn't look at the time and I missed my train, which meant that he had to drive a mere 10 minutes longer by using a different highway exit than he'd normally use to get home, which everyone found to be a douchebag move and not what you'd pull among your fellow players and 'friends'.
>>
>>53584381
No because at that point their typing is Undead, not Beast.

Or as a more in character explanation, the decay is too great for you to have enough information about the muscular structure to properly transform into the live version.
>>
>>53584383
Glad we got it cleared up that you have nothing to add to the discussion then
>>
>>53584449
What an asshole, got what he deserved
>>
Does a Tiefling Paladin of Conquest who wants to create a small kingdom for himself and his kind sound like a decent concept? I want to play an evilish character, but don't want to go too cliché or edgelord.
>>
>>53584451
>Or as a more in character explanation, the decay is too great for you to have enough information about the muscular structure to properly transform into the live version.
He's a druid not a physician. He can't "feel" the spirit of an undead dinosaur.
>>
>>53584387
The big problems are
>levels 1-5 are shit
Totally true. If you run SKT either start the group at lvl 5 and skip the intro adventure or run something else instead (probably Phandelver)
>middle portion of the adventure is a "sandbox" where the players fuck around the North for a while until they find a plot hook
There's a lot of content here (it's by far the largest chapter) but very little direction. Realistically the GM should just ignore the sandbox aspect, pick a few of the more fun sounding locations, and string them together somehow.
>fighting the Giant lords + their minions is pretty much impossible at the recommended level
Also true. However, all the giant lords have some clear weaknesses that the players can take advantage of; the fire and cloud giant lords have children (and it's explicitly stated that they'll hand over the mcguffin if you take the kids hostage), the frost giants have imprisoned two dragons (whom they haven't killed, for some reason), the stone giant is relatively irrational and has already alienated a significant chuck of her people, and the hill giants, beyond being incredibly stupid, have minions who don't get along and will all flee if you kill the chief.
>>
>>53584255
It was pitched by the creator of Adventure Time.
>>
>>53584530
It should be pretty good than
>>
>>53584387
You get to fight non-giants approximately four times (barring sidequests), and two of them are at the very start of the adventure.

>orcs and Zhents in Nightstone
>savage humanoids in your choice of "here's the main plot" railroad + some giants
>cultists in the Eye of the All-Father + dragon
>cultists on the Mor'Koth + kraken

Barring the Mor'Koth, that's all pretty early. The rest of the time you are dealing with large numbers of giants on their home turf and any one of them could turn 1-3 of your party members into paste solo. Even if you manage to keep Slow on them at all times somehow, they're still likely to grind your party into the dirt. Several character builds and types are simply ineffective against Huge-sized creatures like giants, and you are barred from a large number of environmental shenanigans or item use against them; caltrops wouldn't even pierce giant sandals, ball bearings mean as much to them as sand does to you, you can't shove them all over the place, you can't flip tables on them, most of the cover you'll find is useless against thrown rocks, AoE nukes lose a lot of their bang when you can't eliminate whole creatures at once or seriously soften them up, effects that trigger on kills are far rarer due to limited numbers and HP bloat, you can't exactly set up a lot of neat traps against a creature that huge, higher move speed means they can't even be kited or lured into better kill zones, and so on.

Your DM has to play the giant strongholds like a fucking retard to give you a chance. If handled realistically, the party shows up, a giant goes "OI THERE'S THEM FUCKIN' ADVENTURERS THAT KEEP FOILIN' OUR SHIT" and 20 giants run into the room and throw four rocks at each party member and you're D E A D.

It's a huge step back from the enemy variety and feature design of Princes of the Apocalypse, which really did a stellar job of giving the cultists and their minions unique powers.
>>
File: tumblr_npffd22X9g1ro2bqto1_500.jpg (20KB, 431x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npffd22X9g1ro2bqto1_500.jpg
20KB, 431x600px
what are some things to consider for a player wants to ride on the shoulders of a dragonborn as a gnome or halfling?

He won't be benefiting from an mount feats or abilities while shouldered, but what else is there to consider? Should I make the gnome use half movement to dismount, or the dragonborn use an action to pull up the gnome? should they both fall prone if the dragonborn would?
>>
>>53584553
You shouldn't allow them to.
>>
>>53584519
>the solution to every dungeon is "stealth to this room, acquire the blackmail / helper NPCs, then avoid a fight altogether or hope the giants ignore you in favor of beating up the NPCs"
I'm all for solutions other than "kill everything here", but "kill everything here" should be an option, too. Other modules make difficult fights and give you different outs too, but they're also not stacking the deck so much against you in a way that makes it obvious the designers never thought these combats through.
>>
File: 1454301205216.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1454301205216.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
Alright lads, we're gonna start up a Princes of the Apocalypse campaign as our secondary thing in case not all of us can make it to our main session.

I want to play a female Mystic that was originally a Pirate. Toss me some silly ideas to make her a fun character and some name ideas, though I'd probably name her after some of her character traits because Pirate society.

My group's not exactly a super serious bunch so a lot of dumb shit can usually pass (our Cleric-turned-Paladin is a halfling wearing a Belt of Dwarvenkind who is also a noble in the dragon empire and has his own pub in their capital called "The golden R" with a giant golden R neon sign on top, as one of the extreme examples) so go wild.
>>
>>53584553
I highly doubt a dragonborn is "trained to accept a rider" unless he's either into some S&M business or he was seven years a slave.
>>
>>53584598
Don't play a Mystic. Seriously, don't.
>>
>>53584624
Not him, but what are their issues?
>>
>>53584569
mind elaborating on why I should not? just saying, "no", is pretty stupid to me, given the dragonborn is 6'2" and the gnome is 3'1" or a halfling like 2'7" and 50lbs. If it really is game breaking or something, I would like to impose some disadvantages.
>>
>>53584569
> Should I make the gnome use half movement to dismount
Either half movement to dismount or full movement w/ Dex throw (failing the throw you fall prone). Or some of each.

> the dragonborn use an action to pull up the gnome?
Most people can't jump 6 feet and land gracefully. I wouldn't expect a gnome to do the same unless he uses magic. In most cases Dragonborn would do it as an action.

> should they both fall prone if the dragonborn would?
Dex throw to see if he recovers a few feet ahead or if he also falls prone.

>>53584569
> I don't like it so I won't allow my players to do it.
>>
>>53584590
I generally agree. If I were running SKT, first I'd mix things up so they have to go against more than one giant lord (it seems like a waste to make them fight just one), and then I'd significantly tone down the difficulty of the hill giants and stone giants (since theoretically they should be the weakest) and probably also make at least some changes to make the others possible to fight through (though still emphasizing that fighting is not necessarily the best option).
>>
>>53584635
It's really unbalanced, they can excel at any role and sometimes better than classes made especially for those roles. Don't play it unless you want your party to hate you.
>>
>>53584624
Why not? Class looks pretty fun in theory and mindfuckery characters are my favourite type, wanted to use this campaign to try one of the UA things.
Alternative was the new Bard spec.
>>
>>53584608
it's akin to letting your small child ride on your shoulders. a halfling is 2'7" or something like that. and a dragonborn is over 6'. It isn't out of the realm of disbelief, but I want to make it dangerous or difficult to do so.
>>
>>53584635
REEEEEEEE THEY STEP ON THE WIZARD'S TOES BY DOING EVERYTHING BETTER THAN THE REST OF THE PARTY IF YOU BUILD THEM THAT WAY
AAAAAAAAA ONLY MY WIZARD OR BARD IS ALLOWED TO UPSTAGE THE ENTIRE PARTY AND DO EVERYTHING
I HAVE TO BE THE MOST POWERFUL
ME
NOT SOME PSIONIC FUCKER FROM PREVIOUS EDITIONS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

just don't use Mind Vault to gain proficiency in every skill or spam Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike + Beast Fury or whatever, it's not hard
>>
>>53584639
Ok, let the gnome ride the dragonborn, I don't care.
Why stop there. Amputate the gnomes legs and impale his stubs on the horns of the dragonborn. He's never going to walk anywhere again if you open that door.
>>
>>53584671
Fuck you Mearls, your use of irony won't make the class any less overpowered.
>>
>>53584664
Yuan-ti pureblood mystic
>>
>>53584667
You aren't going into combat or running in full armor with a child on your shoulders, though. Keep in mind there are going to be severe stability issues, especially if the rider is going to be fighting the whole time.

You can reasonably add a whole lot of disadvantages.
>Rider has disadvantage on rolls to stay on the Dragonborn's shoulders if he doesn't have at least one hand free to grab onto his head
>Dragonborn has disadvantage on passive and standard perception because there are two fucking legs on either side of his head blocking his peripheral vision
>Dragonborn has disadvantage on any dex checks that would knock him prone because he also has to balance the rider
etc. etc.
>>
>>53584686
you sound salty as fuck. If the dragonborn cared, he wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>53584639
Dragonborn Mount receives Disadvantage on Dexterity saves.
Small Rider gets no Dex saves of his own; he must use whatever the Mount has.

If the Mount is attacked and missed, that attack is then applied to the Rider (and may hit if the Rider's AC is lower than the Mount's).

If Mount is knocked prone, so is Rider. It's not as easy to jump off a man you're riding like a bicycle as it is to leap from a broad-seated horse.
>>
>>53584720
>If Mount is knocked prone, so is Rider. It's not as easy to jump off a man you're riding like a bicycle as it is to leap from a broad-seated horse.
Add fall damage there too, to account for the dragonborn falling on the wee laddy's legs.
>>
>>53584710
>>53584720

these are both helpful. I'll take both into account. thanks mates.
>>
Hello, I am Jeff from the D&D 5e Design and Balance team.

I am taking submissions for tweaks to the standard base classes (not Artificer or Mystic) for the upcoming PHB2.

What would you like to see changed about the current PHB classes? Tweaks to Ranger spellcasting? Changes to Barbarian Rage? Some goodies for Fighters or Warlocks?
>>
So Wizards put the artificer and mystic up on the dungeon masters guild. Are those PDFs updated or are they the same as on release?
>>
File: zEk4TA.gif (951KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
zEk4TA.gif
951KB, 320x180px
>it's a no fun hyper realist brigade episode
>>
Oh shit, I understand the Stream of Annihilation. Everyone everywhere who died and who was raised will die within 30 days. Because Acecerak seriously fucked with something involving necromancy.

This is fucking cool.
>>
>>53584740
Disadvantage on Stealth and Acrobatics checks, too. That's obvious, though.
>>
>>53584747
From what some anons have said exactly the same
>>
>>53584756
That's what I figured when Perkins was murdering everyone with 60+ damage in that one session. "Oh, they're all going to get rezzed and now they have a personal stake in stopping Acererak, because they'll die (again) otherwise."

That's cool, but
>oh boy another adventure module in a big region with "SANDBOX" written all over it tied to a FUCKING TIMER
isn't
>>
>>53584741
Fighter gets extra attack at 3rd, 10th, and 20th.
>>
>>53584741
Make it 4e so martials and casters are balanced
>>
>>53584752
The guy who originally asked said he wanted it to be difficult for both rider and mount too.
>>
>>53584741
on the off-chance this is legit, how about making berserker barbarian and Wot4E monks not shit?
>>
>>53584741
Assuming this is legit:

- Have there be Sorcerer-only spells that encourage creative use with metamagic. Or tie in specific spells into their Sorcerous Origin as free spells they get for 1st thru 5th level spell slots.

- Swap out original Ranger for UA Ranger.

Everything else is fine.
>>
>>53584788
>Making the gap between fighters and other martials even bigger
>>
>>53584741
That you fuck off untill you make the Wot4E monk not useless, and you better tell Mearls to actually allow polishing the mystic or be outed as the cock sleeve he is.
>>
>>53584781
>explore the Sword Coast, here's a bunch of sidequests, here's some shit you can do for your faction, here are some hideouts you can take over and turn into your home base
>but you better be going in straight lines to these dungeons or the cultists destroy everyone with climate change powers and summon evil elemental Gods onto the planet

>explore the Sword Coast again, here's a bunch of sidequests, here's some terrible dungeons you can die in, oh but you get an airship and maybe a flying tower and a teleportation network
>but you better only do one giant dungeon and then progress to solving the plot because towns are dying every second you delay

>explore the Underdark
>or don't because you're being chased and if you don't move you die

goddamnit i just want to start a fucking vegetable delivery service
>>
File: 1490051898634.png (105KB, 257x273px) Image search: [Google]
1490051898634.png
105KB, 257x273px
>>53584741
>>
>>53584781
>>53584830
"Do you know how many times I've died?"

Oh you of little faith.
>>
>>53584830
>goddamnit i just want to start a fucking vegetable delivery service

...what?
>>
/5eg/, you guys are really helpful usually and give me decent advice and helped me get into a system that gave me an entirely new group of friends who are more consistently awesome then my old ones.

So my query is, why did you lie to me about FR?
>>
>>53584848
You know what's keeping back development of the Sword Coast region? People.

You know what's keeping back development of people? Proper nutrution.

Peasants and nobles alike can't eat as well as they need to because the vegetables and fruits aren't always in season, and even when they are, it's difficult getting the best crop to all areas of the Coast while they're still fresh. No one in your neck of the woods growing carrots? Then you don't get fucking carrots.

Vegetable delivery will change all of that. Everyone will grow big and strong and tall and smart and then the future will be great.
>>
>>53584890
But where are the farmlands?
>>
>>53584830
If there are actually consequences for dying in this module like being turned into a zombie, i would be fine with that, but this is WotC so i expect kid gloves.
>>
>>53584817
Considering the lack of true versatility, yeah. Every other martial gets at least of bit of spellcasting, which can be used for anything from control, to healing, to utility. The guy/gal who spent years, if not their lives doing nothing but killing things deader without magic should be able to kill things deader quicker and easier than those that had to split time between training their bodies and practicing their spells.

In my opinion anyway.
>>
>>53584890
I think maybe you want to play a game OTHER then D&D. Or rather you want to play a game of D&D that no person will ever write an actual adventure for and you're having wildly unrealistic expectations if you think they're going to do anything like that.

Just make a sandbox game and run it that way yourself, problem solved.
>>
>>53584781
Nothing is worse than a timed sandbox
>There is a weird beast in the woods spooking the locals
>But remember, the bbeg is collecting materials for his super evil ritual and he is getting close to casting it! Might want to go do that!
>>
>>53584885
for shits and giggles.
>>
>>53584885
/tg/ claims that FR is generic, but that's because it's been around forever and helped define what the """standard""" D&D setting looks like. There's really nothing wrong with it, just don't have the Mary Sue NPCs show up.
>>
>>53584890
A druid with level 8 spells can fix this shit easy why don't the nobles just hire one, its not like control weather and plant growth's components cost money or anything
>>
>>53584885
Lie how? There is nothing inherently wrong with FR, it's just the standard D&D setting, and it just gets dull after a while.
>>
>>53584902
Not him, but the Goldenfields Abby.
It's whine purpose is to grow crops and produce for a gigantic section of Faerun. This anon's idea >>53584890 is something that the Clergy of Chauntae would love, honestly.
>>
>>53584741
Give martials martial slots and martial abilities that they can cast based off of their martial casting ability stat.
>>
>>53584890
Elminster could literally make food that lasts forever, but he doesn't give a fuck.
>>
I'm glancing over the Mystic right now. How the fuck would one play a Soul Knife Mystic? Do they just not get any Psychic Disciplines at all and the only thing they can do is switch their Psychic Talents around and stab people with their knives, hoping they don't have to fight Constructs immune to Psychic damage?
>>
>>53584952
No, that's what I mean.
I'm reading all this old fluff and there is genuinely more NON-novel based detail about the setting itself then most actual novels I've read. There's even entire kingdoms designed to be fleshed out by the DM themselves.
There's a TON of cool shit in here.
>>53584966
Lie about it's quality.
I keep hearing how shit it is on here over and over but apparently this shiftiness does NOT apply to it's old products because it feels like every area is somehow useful for adventures.
>>
>>53584988
Apparently, he keeps losing his mind because his girlfriend the goddess of magic keeps throwing fits and/or dying. Off the record, it's because the PCs are the real heroes, not the GMPC.
>>
>>53585020
Most players aren't familiar with anything before 3e (if that), so basically they're only familiar with FR after it got handed to a crap company who's primary objective is to find some way to turn all of their products into Magic the Gathering.
>>
File: Mearlss.jpg (122KB, 1536x1255px) Image search: [Google]
Mearlss.jpg
122KB, 1536x1255px
Are you guys ready for Tower of the Curator DMed by yours truly?
>>
>>53584989
They don't get any specific to them. They can still pick any discipline at certain levels like other orders
>>
>>53585020
Any old products in particular that you recommend?
>>
>>53585039
Has to be better than the shit that is on now
>>
File: 1492492185528.jpg (207KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1492492185528.jpg
207KB, 692x960px
>>53584376
>random percentage tracking
>transposing random percentage onto other numbers
>enforcing "I walk around as a Bear" even more
>>
>>53584885
>So my query is, why did you lie to me about FR?
Because when people bitch about FR, they're actually just bitching about the Sword Coast.
>>
>>53584278
>>53584291
>replaces proficiency
So...how do you determine attack rolls and save DCs?
>>
>>53584943
>>53584830
>>53584781
How would you maintain urgency or bring about an apocalyptic urgency to it?
>>
>>53585101
Not him, but anything published before 3e.
Elves of Evermeet is great for learning about both Evermeet and the differences between elven sub-species (example; gold elves apparently are not happy fey guys who are Chaotic-aligned but are dour, humorless people who tend to be extremely religious and who tend to be Clerics, Paladins, and Wizards and are Lawful usually).
Dwarves Deep is great for the same shit about dwarves, and actually provides a subtle explanation as to why dwarves women stopped having beards and why dwarves have been getting taller over time if you think about it.
ANY of the setting books are fantastic: Waterdeep; City of Splendours, The Vilhon Reach, Lands of Intrigue, Cormyr, The Dalelands, Old Empires, The Shining South, all are great.
Cloak and Dagger is great for secret societies and conspiracy plots.
The Volo's Guide books are for people who LOVE fluff because it's sort of a "regular dude's" view of traveling the Realms and talks mostly from the perspective of a professional tourist, mostly talking about inns and food and local custom and shit like that.
>>
>>53585255
They keep billing this shit as "sandbox". You can see it all over their promotional material for Chult and when they talk about it on the SoA stream. SANDBOX, SANDBOX, SANDBOX.
>but here's a timer
>>
>>53584885
Lie in what way?
1e and 2e FR had pretty good flavor. And you didn't clue into the fact that the people in this thread and on tg are severely autistic and retarded?
>>
>>53584741
Remove Great Weapon Mastery and Sharpshooter, instead give proficiency bonus to damage for all proficient weapon and unarmed attacks.

This reigns in the damage output of variant humans, gives monks and much-needed damage boost, and frees up a feat slot for martials.

Sentinel needs to be removed. It is far too strong with polearm mastery and tunnel fighter at shutting down melee enemies.

Warlocks should just switch to spell points completely. This would let them cast lower level spells without wasting a level 5 spell slot, allowing them a lot more flexibility with how they use their magic (which is far too limited to waste).
>>
>>53585234
Yeah, except that that was a lie too and a lot of this stuff here is great.
Like, at this point I've read a bunch of other settings written by other people, and they SUCK, but even the Sword Coast has a bunch of interesting and inspiration-worthy material.
>>
>>53585298
What timer did they put on it?
>>
>>53585234
There's nothing wrong with FR, it's just not very consistent. If what you're looking for is a patchwork setting with a bit of everything, FR is just fine.
>>
>>53585301
I was told it was bad.
This 1e and 2e stuff is like, top-shelf level fantasy novel tier in terms of setting flavor.
>>
>>53585298
Again, how would you bring about an apocalyptic urgency to it?
>>
>>53585332
If you mean it has no overarching "theme", then yes, it is inconsistent.
If you mean "not every culture is straight ripped from an existing real-life one", then I would say that's actually a good thing.
>>
>>53585318
Have you read anything about the other D&D settings? Ravenloft, Planescape, Dragonlance, etc...
>>
>>53584952
The "generic shit" in FR only comes about because people keep playing in the same, most whitebread and boring parts of it.

There's interesting places in FR, since it contains everything. You just have to GO THERE.
>>
>>53585366
I have now. I thought D&D would be boring, but this stuff is cool as fuck.
Ravenloft is interesting if you're into that kinda genre (I'm not so much; trying gothic melodrama with a bunch of tabletop nerds sounds like a problem waiting to happen).
Dragonlance reads like fairly bog-standard high fantasy, kinda Tolkien-lite. Still good ideas though.
Planescape is fucking nuts. Some China Meville-like stuff. I wonder how the hell you're supposed to run an adventure with it though? Almost feels like they wanted to write a novel, not make a game setting.
>>
>>53585413
You're a first-time D&D player and yet you bothered to read ALL OF THAT?
>>
>>53585430
What can I say? When I try something out I don't just dip my toes in the water, I go all-in and try the whole thing at once.
>>
>>53585413
Planescape is highly regarded as the best thing to come out of D&D. The adventures are really well written. It runs just fine, but you need decent players that don't want to murder hobo everything.
>>
>>53585248
Add character levels.
>>
>>53585443
Not complaining, it's just....I kinda wished my own players bothered to show your initiative. The insist I spoon-feed them practically everything.
>>
>>53585447
That seems kinda subjective, but I get what you're saying, it feels like Ravenloft in that it's trying to do something real different from your standard adventuring.
>>
>>53585325
Anyone who has ever come back from the dead (Raise Dead, Resurrection, True Rezz, etc.) dies in 30 days.

This may or may not include your party since it seems like there's an optional part of the module start to just KILL EVERYONE and have them revived, so now they're part of this timer.
>>
File: llT1rRg.png (151KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
llT1rRg.png
151KB, 500x500px
>Game to begin in less than an hour
>Player sends me a message
>"Hey anon, i'm not coming."
>>
Shiit you can almost see the nip nips of the girl with purple hair.
>>
>>53585637
>They at least called/messaged instead of just vanishing
Sometimes this hobby is suffering.
>>
>>53585637
>Game to begin in less than an hour
>Player sends me a message
>"Hey anon, i'm not coming."
>Another player sends me a message
>"DM can't DM today so I'll run a oneshot"
>>
File: le condescending monkey.jpg (126KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
le condescending monkey.jpg
126KB, 333x500px
>>53585637
>game began thirty minutes ago
>one of the players isn't there (without saying anything)
>ask his two roommates who are also players where he is
>"we don't know"
>mfw this happened almost every week for years
>>
>>53585711

A year? And you didn't boot him?
>>
Anons? I got a player for an Oriental Adventures 5e game who wants to be "a ninja, of the mistic mojo-using thief" type.

Would you recommend they take the Monk (Ninja) and spend proficiencies on thievery-related stuff?

Or would you recommend they take a Rogue (Arcane Trickster) and just Oriental the flavor?
>>
>Rangers only get Extra Attack as part of their archetype features
>this is specifically because Beast Conclave gets a shittier version
>>
>>53585730
Arcane trickster rogue, shadow monk, or a monk/rogue multiclass are all great answers to this.
>>
>>53585711
And these are usually the same guys who complain they don't get any loot. I hate these fucking players.
>>
>>53585711
>Week One
Where is he? You guys don't know?
>Week Two
Fuck him. He's out.

I fixed your problem for you.
>>
This DM looks pretty chill. Who is he?
>>
File: 1379028489490.gif (3MB, 264x240px) Image search: [Google]
1379028489490.gif
3MB, 264x240px
>>53585637
>Game was supposed to begin an hour ago
>DM sends me a message
>"Hey anon, the game's canceled."
>>
>>53585770
At least u heard back...
>>
File: 1491697995838.jpg (97KB, 662x844px) Image search: [Google]
1491697995838.jpg
97KB, 662x844px
Has anyone here tried out the scribe scroll rules from the UA downtime rules? How have they held up in play?
>>
They should put the Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds guys in a ring and have then duke it out.
>>
>>53585729
>>53585747
>>53585764
desu he was one of the better players, he knew most of the others better than I did, and a lot of the players were late all the time, he was just the worst offender (in that he was literally always at least an hour late, while his roommates mostly showed up no more than 15 minutes late).
>>
>>53585635
That seems like a good amount of time to have on a timer.
>>
Mearls coming next, get ready bois!
>>
>>53584741

Fix berserker barbarians so they are actually good at being damage cannons. Think about what made 4e barbarians good and what made the Frenzied Berserker good.

Also, give Barbarians a fighting style. It makes no sense that they don't get one. Rangers and Paladins get a fighting style and they can also cast spells.

It really seems like the Barbarian class was finished before other aspects of the game were done (feats, fighting styles, etc) and then was never revisited and brought up to par.

It's very obvious that this is what happened with Berserker. The Frenzy ability was obviously written with a different type of "Exhaustion" rules in play, and then never updated or re-written when the Exhaustion rules were finalized. As of now, you can make a better berserker by giving a Bear barbarian polearm mastery. Or just making a Fighter and re-fluffing action surge as "frenzy."

If you're going to do that, you might as well scrap barbarians altogether and make the "berserker" a fighter subclass.

Wot4E monk suffers a similar situation where it's flat out worse than any other option.
>>
>>53585877
This is the first I've heard of them but how does Fantasy Grounds get away with charging 50 dollars for a core book when you can get an actual real life hardcover book for 30 dollars on top of charging 40 dollars just to get the software?
>>
>>53586037
The price probably has more to do with WotC's licensing deal than FG itself. You have the same deal with Roll20.
>>
>>53586062
Is there at least a system in place to get the FG content along with the physical books so at least you don't have to buy the same thing twice? If that was the case I could understand having an established "don't undercut the prices" but I didn't see anything for that.
>>
>>53586122
FG has no such system, same as with Roll20 (and probably the same with D&D Beyond once they have that set up). That's on WotC desu, they've been shticklers on their digital licensing with 5e and it sucks.
>>
>>53585993
Who the fuck are you talking to?
>>
>>53586122
I wish. They could make like a serial code that comes with the book and you apply to Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds to get the digital product. But that would make them lose money.
>>
File: jason3.jpg (71KB, 540x803px) Image search: [Google]
jason3.jpg
71KB, 540x803px
Discussion question for DMs: Magic Shops, which for this purpose will mean "any place where you can buy ready-made magic items, spell scrolls, or have specific spells performed for a price"

>How accessible is magic to the average citizen in your setting?
>What does a "magic shop" typically sell?
>How prevalent are magic shops in your setting?
>How expensive is a spell scroll of each level?
>Which magic items, if any, would they sell, and for how much?
>What kind of spellcasting or other magic services would your typical magic shop provide?
>>
>>53585730
the shadow monk literally is a ninja
>>
>>53586145
That's incredibly disappointing.

>>53586158
I could even see adding a few dollars onto the price of the book if it came with a digital copy to use in these systems but making you buy it twice is just asinine.
>>
>>53586187
Professional magic in the setting is basically equivalent to professional science in the modern world: expensive, and not something a common person off the street tends to buy. However, some objects made through magical processes or based on an understanding of arcane refinement may be available, but they're usually luxury goods.
>>
>Girls only game
>DMed by Matt Mercer
How does he do it?
>>
What is everyone talking about?
Some podcast-type thing?
>>
>>53586273
http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation
>>
>>53586254
He's Matt Mercer's that's how, than and it's not really different than his regular game everyone's practically a woman on that other than Travis.
>>
>>53586208
I know, but is it also a ninja who can double as a thief? I wasn't so sure of that.
>>
>>53586254
He's technically an actor, isn't fuck ugly, and has a voice that's smooth as butter.
>>
>>53586291
If you go 1st level in rogue, yes.
>>
>>53586291
Criminal or Spy background will cover that.
>>
>>53586187

Magic shops are scant in my setting, only appearing in the most populated cities, and even then, the "best supply" is only at what amounts to a university bookstore at the region's condensed magic sanctuary. Most people in the setting resent mages as elitists who fuck off to an ivory tower to hone incredible abilities while other people actually have to work hard. It's a justified resentment.

Standard magic shops offer spell scrolls for levels 0-5, potions of all kinds, and a few uncommon magical items like driftglobes, immovable rods, and sending stones. They fetch a high price, though. Especially those higher-level spells, which cost multiple thousand gold.

You'd be extremely hard-pressed to get spells like, say, Blight or Animate Dead from a spell shop, though. Only the most illicit ones would dare sell "immoral" spells to civilians.
>>
>>53586291
It's not the NPCs are going to be asking him: "Hey dude,can you tell me your class?" You can be a criminal and a druid, that's what backgrounds are for.
>>
File: Rune Magic.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Rune Magic.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>
File: Mearls.png (153KB, 246x315px) Image search: [Google]
Mearls.png
153KB, 246x315px
It's time.
>>
>>53586187
>How accessible is magic to the average citizen in your setting?
I use Faerun (using earlier, pre-3e fluff) so you can find them in major cities or in smaller communities with a spellcaster nearby but it's expensive for most folks who aren't urbanites or wealthy.
>What does a "magic shop" typically sell?
Whatever it can.
It's actually close to an antique dealer; not every shop will have every magic item, and they jealously guard their inventories.
>How prevalent are magic shops in your setting?
Not very.
You can find specialized ships only in larger cities, though the farther south you go the more common they are, though prices don't get any less expensive and sometimes are even higher depending on how "elite" the store's reputation is.
>How expensive is a spell scroll of each level?
Relatively cheap, but depends on the spell level and the cost to the mage inscribing it for you.
>Which magic items, if any, would they sell, and for how much?
I randomly roll based on shop size, wealth, and location. Price is based on how potent the item is.
>What kind of spellcasting or other magic services would your typical magic shop provide?
None; if you want healing go to a temple and make a donation, though a lot of Good-aligned temples will ask for a favor instead. The best places for "free" healing are temples of Illmater or Tempus.
>>
>>53586374
Perkins and Mercer as players, I can hardly contain my boner.
>>
>lizardfolk wizard (or wizardfolk lizard) named Liz

Mild kek.
>>
File: 1494979580897.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1494979580897.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>53586400
I was, untill I realized Liam and Marisha are there and now I'm slightly sad
>>
>>53586393
>>What kind of spellcasting or other magic services would your typical magic shop provide?
>None

Not even appraisals? Y'know, bring an unidentified item into the shop, pay the man, and they'll cast Identify on it.
>>
I can't believe that no one is playing a mystic.
>>
God, the girl playing a kid's voice is fucking grating
>>
>>53586467
I think they've all stuck to stuff out of the PHB, but I've not been paying too close attention to it, so maybe they let some UA things in there.

Other than the game where everyone was a frog, just to showcase the 'evil' creatures you'd find in Chult.
>>
>>53586440
They they'll do, but I haven't needed it since my players are usually prepared to do it themselves.
The shop will usually tell of the item's history though, even nonspecific history like where it was made and.
>>
>>53586439
Liam is fine, Marisha a shit
>>
>>53586467
Mearls doesn't want them playing it so he'd be faced with the reality of it needing tuning.
>>
>>53586486
One of the pirate group played one of the new barbarians, the storm one
Not sure what else, I took a break during most of the pirate group because I'm in the UK and it
>>
I like seeing Mearly with his little notebook. Makes me feel better about my poorfag approach to DMing.
>>
>>53586511
*it was like 3am
>>
>>53586491
He used to be now he's become a moody teen swinging between I love Kiki to life is meaningless I have to serve the Raven Queen
>>
I think I'm just going to wait until this stream gets archived on Youtube so I can skip through some of the more cringe-worthy moments.
>>
>>53586474
Yes it definitely
>>
>>53586563
What has been some cringeworthy moments?
>>
Okay so why is Mearls standing up this whole time? It's really weird and off-putting
>>
Why is the lead singer of Hanson talking like a Transylvanian?
>>
>using character voices for OOC talking
>>
>>53586597
It's a power play, like when you go into a CEO's office and all the chairs but his have had their legs shortened so that you spend the whole meeting looking up at him.
>>
holy shit they got shaggy for this? fucking neat as hell.
>>
>>53586597
Eh, I don't mind it. Maybe it helps him get into character? Build up confidence? I dunno.
>>
>>53586597
Can't let people see his secret notes
>>
File: SOON.png (232KB, 357x354px) Image search: [Google]
SOON.png
232KB, 357x354px
>>53586597
It's a way to show dominance over his minions.
>>
>>53586597
I think more DMs should stand up more often, especially during combat or particularly exciting moments.
>>
>>53586597
He needs to lose some weight.
>>
File: lifeguard chair.jpg (181KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
lifeguard chair.jpg
181KB, 900x900px
>>53586614
>not DMing from one of these
>>
HEY PAL, KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE FUCKIN PARLAY SHIT.
>>
WE FUCKING GET IT PARLAY!
>>
>>53586588
I've not seen any, I've been too busy working until just now, but jumped into this current block midway, and want to view them all as a whole.
>>
>>53586187
You can find them in the gated districts in most large cities, but they're outside about 90% of people's price range.
Healing potions, potions of waterbreathing in coastal towns, low level scrolls, adamantine and mythral weapons and armor, as well as the occasional specialty item if you know the proprietor.
Not very, you'll need to either go to a major town or settle for the local peller's basic potions.
While scrolls tend to be less available, they're not actually as expensive as their DMG prices since the customer base of people who can use them is small. 200 +/- haggling for a level 1 scroll.
They'd sell consumables and adamantine and mythral armaments. You''d have to be in contact with a proprietor to be invited to the auction when they come into possession of something more powerful.
Identification and a few level 5 or lower spells for a fee.
>>
Yeah I bet they got 21 you chubby bastard
>>
>ONLY NINE POINTS OF DAMAGE
Mearls babying his players. If this was Perkins DMing again, that would have done 36 fucking damage.
>>
>>53586755
I mean, they have three attacks each and seem to have a high bonus to hit, so that could add up if they go for a caster.
>>
>those spiky dice
Is Liam /that guy/?
>>
>>53586769
Sometimes, normally Marisha fills that role
>>
>>53586765
All that means is Perkins would have done 108 damage.
>>
>>53586769
there's been a lot of shite unreadable dice today to be fair
worst ones have been those green forest ones
>>
>>53586597

I like to stand while DMing. I don't like sitting for that long, and it makes it easier to move back and forth from behind my DM screen to the main table.
>>
The shaggy actor looks very cringy.
>>
ok wow, I can NOT watch that stream, holy shit.
>>
Is.. is Mearls actually a fun DM?
>>
File: HAHAHA.png (222KB, 375x380px) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHA.png
222KB, 375x380px
>>53586861
He's holding back from murdering them, you just know it.
>>
>>53586878
his power cannot be contained in this realm
>>
>>53586861

it's not a real mearls game unless it ends in tpk
>>
How slutty are the various clergy of Faerun and in what ways are they slutty?
Asking for a friend.
>>
>>53586878
Well, two of them can see right behind his DM screen.

Also that one chick was talking like she's got a +8 to hit so I don't know what what a couple of Redcaps with baby Strength are going to do.
>>
File: clerics.jpg (756KB, 2432x2090px) Image search: [Google]
clerics.jpg
756KB, 2432x2090px
>>53586919
Sune and Sharess are sluts. You could probably convince some Istishians to get wet and wild. A lot of the Clerics of the Evil gods would play along just so they could murder you or get some blackmail or other leverage.
>>
It sounds like the players have level 7-8 characters, based on spells used and having +7 - +9 on their attacks.

I'm guessing most of the games previously had similar level characters?
>>
My nigga Perkins is too quiet in this, i don't like it.
>>
>>53586970
It definitely seemed like it
For what it's worth that's definitely the range DCA are at, I think they leveled to 9 last week
>>
>>53586919
Loviatar is a dominatrix. The goddesses of love (Sune, Hanali Celanil, and that other one) are said to engage in "casual dalliances" and Sune is said specifically to protect those who have affairs.

If that's the objects of worship, I assume the clergy are worse.
>>
>>53586974
Probably just glad to not have to be DMing, he has run 2 live games today
>>
>>53586954
kek that priest of talos
>my feet hurt
>I wish I were at home bringing nature's fury upon the land of men
>no one here is wearing an eyepatch
>>
>>53587002
Kek
>>
>>53586954
This old school art is fucking great.
>>
>>53586954
I like how the ones taken from finnic mythology are just directly taken. Not even not!x, just taken directly.
>>
>Spectral beholder

Fuuuuuuuuuck
>>
Ok, for what it's worth, this is probably the least cringy Marisha has been on any stream.
>>
>>53584278
you broke bards.
>>
>>53587141
Probably not completely drunk like on CR
>>
>>53587141
It honestly seems like Marisha's natural class is bard, because how she plays fits what she's playing. Problem is when she plays a druid like a bard.
>>
Oh, so the Spectral Beholder is meant to be a security system that the Wizard could do laser fingers with and vaporize people.

That probably means that Mercer can just have it fire Disintegration Rays at it by expending his spell slots and blow through this potentially lethal encounter.
>>
So, I want to play a perpetually drunk monk. Is UA's "Drunken Master" any good, or should I avoid it and just stick to rping.
>>
>>53587190
>not completely drunk
That too.
>>
>>53587199
Well they are making another campaign maybe she'll decide to make one and finally roleplay her stats and character for once.
>>
>>53587226
From what people have said pretty lack luster
>>
>>53586187
Magic Items are available in very high end auctions every so often. I roll 1d4+2 for items available and generate them randomly. NPC's bid on them at random. Highest NPC bid is determined by rolling 1d6 and multiplying the MSRP for rarity by that amount. Legendary items or Artifacts/Relics do not get offered for auction more than once every 10,000 years or so.
>>
At least Marisha has seen how to play a bard correctly so she can do it
>>
>That bard
Huh, so that's how you do it.
I was always wondering how you can do it without sounding like an annoying cunt.

>Mearls is a good DM
How in the flying fuck is he making so many balance errors? Is it just his style where he's letting them do stuff that's not explicitly in the rules so his Rangers are better than RAW rangers or something?
>>
>>53587141
>>53587199

I've barely watched any CR, what's up with this Marisha meme? What does she do that's so terrible? I mean, her facial expressions could be a lil grating, maaaybe, but generally I haven't picked up on it.
>>
>>53584952
It's all our first times, hanging out at the Yawning Portal is fun as fuck.

No regrets
>>
>>53587366
It's a oneshot stream game
He's made it pretty explicit that he doesn't care about balancing, he just said it
>>
>>53587370
Center of attention, metagaming, has fuck high wisdom and low charisma but plays like she has no fucking wisdom and high charisma. If there is an objectively bad decision to make that might fuck the party she'll do it.
>>
Newfag here and I haven't really read the Unearthed Arcana stuff yet (I have it though), what should I expect?

Is this stuff considered balanced and superior to the PHB or is it a mixed bag of goodies (some shit, some OP, some good)?

I need to go read and check up on the classes and all that jazz.
>>
>>53587370
She plays Keyleth, a high-level Druid in 5e that has crippling social anxiety and a pretty strict moral compass (she started with 6 CHA and via a combination of magic items and 5e port, got it bumped to 10).

She tends to bumble a ton with her spells and not read through them. The biggest faults against her are casting Wind Walk in a fight vs. some Purple Worms, and not knowing she had Freedom of Movement available to her as a spell before the party fought a Kraken.

Oh, and she's also face-planted into lava a couple times as well.
>>
>>53587412

Huh, that does sound bad. Any good anecdotes?
>>
>>53587434
It is definitely a mixed bag
>>
>>53587434
Mixed bag
>>
>>53587434
Mixed bag, mostly variant rules and material needing play testing.
>>
>>53587479
>>53587487
>>53587489
Any recommendations for the best things that I should use?

I see a lot of people recommending the UA Ranger over the PHB Ranger for example.
>>
>>53587446
>Wind Walk
Why's that bad? I get the other one.
Did she basically quit the fight?
>>
>>53587509
Her thought behind it was to give everyone a big movement bonus and potentially fly around and not be on the ground to get hunted by the Worms.

Instead, she turned half the party (mainly the DPS folks) into cloud vapors and then they had to spend a minute during a very dangerous encounter to turn back into solid form to deal damage.
>>
>>53587509
No she disabled half the party by casting wind walk on them, it takes a fuck long time to turn back to regular form.
>>
>>53587508
That one is good. A lot of people like stone sorcerer (basically a gish). The mystic sounds fun but is hilariously overpowered.
>>
>>53587508
UA Ranger is good.
Personally I allow everything except the Mystic with the caveat that if you take UA you can't multiclass and if there's any clearly unintentional exploits you can do I just won't let you do them (eg 1000dmg magic missile).
>>
>>53587546
>>53587545
Ha!
I get why people would be mad, but one of the players in my game did something similar casting Gaseous Form on himself because he didn't realise you can't cast spells while gaseous, so I can't really be mad at that.
>>
Anyone got an image of the glee in Mearl's face as one of the PCs died?

>>53587509
Wind Walk takes 1 minute to cast. She also didn't seem to have realize it was supposed to be a travel spell.
>>
>>53587475
One time she thought it would be a good idea to jump off a 1000ft cliff, then at the last second change into a goldfish. She can turn into a fucking dragon.
>>
>>53587546
>>53587545

That's bad, I suppose. Thanks. Any other stories worth hearing?
>>
>>53587446
>Oh, and she's also face-planted into lava a couple times as well.
How does one pull this off more than once?
>>
>>53587570
Although on seconds thoughts that only wasted a single round.
Players... read your spells before you cast them!
>>
>>53587573
She saw the high movement speed and aerial flight and didn't think to read the rest of it, like the casting time or what the cloud vapors can and cannot do.

Thankfully Mercer retconned it so that it was a less powerful version (as she cast a 1 minute spell in 6 seconds) and had the Wind Walk "buff" fade after a minute, while the people in a gaseous form could revert back to a solid one after two rounds.
>>
>>53587508
It's more about what you don't include. Most of it is within the normal power levels of 5e, and the classes they're for, but the things that stick out the most in terms of power are Mystic, Lore Wizard, and Theurgy Wizard.
Multiclassing isn't balanced for UA, so you can get Hexblade/Paladin/Shadow Sorcerers, or obviously Nuclear Druids. It also makes multiclassing more viable for less egregious combinations, which I think is a good thing.
For non class things I'd basically include all the feats, and spells.
>>
>>53584255
I wonder if that means we'll finally get a follow-up on that god-like being who was creating a massive army of undead in AD&D chult and then conveniently forgotten about ever since.

I also wonder if they'll keep the shit about the gods not interfering in chult due to it being Ubtao's territory.

Just kidding, that was probably thrown out during 4e and not brought back because it puts restrictions on characters.
>>
File: 1473888376878.jpg (24KB, 224x351px) Image search: [Google]
1473888376878.jpg
24KB, 224x351px
>>53587573
>Your companions are in the area next to the villain. What do you do?
>I cast Fireball.
>WHAT
>I want to help you guys finish off the bad guy!
>Are you sure?
>Yes, I want to burn the bad guy.
>NO STO-
>DM: You cast Fireball. Roll for damage.
>Yay!
>everyone dies
anyone else know this feel?
>>
>>53587590
Matt really likes to put lava in his encounters. I can remember at least 5 different times where the party fought near lava.
>>
>>53587590
One was her face-planting into lava trying to leap over a lava stream. She just had to beat like a DC 10 but got a Nat 1. Thankfully throughout the entire fight they were in she never got hit (tanked a fair bit in her Earth Elemental beast shape form before reverting to her normal form to cast spells and heal people) and just ate a bunch of damage and crawled out of the lava stream with like 10 HP left.

The other time was during a battle royale one-off, and she got killed by getting dunked into lava by the cleric of the party, as it was them being the only members left standing.
>>
>>53587059
This is probably deliberate in-universe.
Tyr is almost certainly OUR Tyr, and Tempus has a lot in common with Ares (the helmet thing especially), and Sune Greenwood said is probably the same being as Aphrodite.
These are just their Faerunian manifestations which have changed based on exposure to Faerun's people and events in Faerun.

Kinda like how the Mulhorondi deities are literally the Egyptian ones and how Gilgeam was literally Gilgamesh.
>>
>>53587608
my group usually has the opposite problem

>(GM) ok, the Tiefling is surrounded by goblins, wizard your turn what do you do?
>(Wizard)shit, ok, umm....no i can't fireball them, i'll hit Tiefling...dammit, i dont have anything that can get all of them...I guess I could...but that will only hit three of them...
>(Tiefling) DUDE, I FUCKING RESIST FIRE, JUST FIREBALL THEM. GOD DAMN!
>>
>>53587508
Ranger is pretty piss poor in the PHB so the UA version gives it a solid overhaul. To a lesser degree Warlock is the same case.
>>
>>53587586
They set up a great escape plan when trying to GTFO of a kraken's lair because they can't kill it for reasons. Possibly minutes before she forgot it and the whole thing turned into a huge shit show that killed her bf, nearly brought down their barbarian and another companion.
>>
>>53586597
Standing while others are sitting gives me that perception that i'm the center of attention, and in turn makes me more attentive and active as a DM.
>>
>>53587619
Of the first few encounters we saw on their stream, they were traversing through the Underdark and went into a Duregar stronghold that was built near a giant lava flow. They had like three fights in it, and most of them ended up getting singed by the heat of the lava, and the Rogue barely got out of it alive after he barely saved (if he'd failed he was going to die, if not out-right perma-die) and got his foot dumped on by a flowing lava vent from above him.

We also had some lava in... I think the Fire Plane, and also when they went to check on the Fire-themed Druid camp and help contain the planar rift between the Material Plane and the Fire Plane.

And in the Ancient Red Dragon's lair, there was lava too...

Man, Matt really loves his lava, doesn't he?
>>
>>53587678
Probably because he knows Marisha will some how find a way into it at this point.
>>
>>53587660
To be fair, if it wasn't for a double nat 1 roll on a Stealth then Consitution saving throw, they were likely to get all the items they needed from the Kraken's lair without him noticing them.
>>
File: DM Notes Example.jpg (457KB, 810x972px) Image search: [Google]
DM Notes Example.jpg
457KB, 810x972px
Hey DMs here how do your notes look?

I have been using this as a baseline example of what good notes should look like.
>>
Any thoughts on the newest Dice Camera Action game?
>>
>>53587678
Yeap. In the City of Brass, Grog even fell into a river of lava. And as the other anon said, he also put lava in one of the Battle Royales.
>>
>>53587711
True but the plan was specifically made in case shit went south, the major flaw was it relied heavily on her.
>>
>make homebrew pc races or game rules
>get called an autist or wanting to be a special snowflake
>>
>>53587712
>writes out a fucking thesis

Yeah, nah. How about just some important names and other information? Unless your memory is complete shit, ya shouldn't need Lord of the Rings level backstory for your notes. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>53587712
I like them. Good template.

I can do some decent improv but my biggest weakness is naming the NPCs. It always takes me forever to come up with a name and settle on it.
>>
>>53587777
I can't do voices like I want to, also I got the same problem with names.
>>
>>53587748
It should also be said:

Prior to the game even beginning, the group wanted to play a "fun drinking game" where they would get a large bottle of Kraken and, "nearly finish it off," to go along with the theme of, 'do not kill the Kraken in the game.'

Everyone was semi-drunk by the time the nat 1 occurred, and even Matt was getting frazzled midway through the fight, which lead to a good 5-10 minute argument between Marisha and Matt about what spell she was trying to cast (Animal Shapes), and the intention of the spell (she wanted to turn them into electric eels so they could slip through the grasp of the Kraken's tentacles and swim away back to the entrance).
>>
>>53587755
What kind of races you trying to make?
>>
>>53587764
I think detail like this is good. I don't see any major problem with it.
>>
>>53587712
Don't listen to >>53587764, quads >>53587777 confirm that you're on the right track. I assume these are Mercer's notes?
>>
>>53587764
Faggot.
>>
>>53587799
None lately but I made some basic golf rules and got called an autist. It's like if you put any bit of effort into your own shit then you're a fucking leper.
>>
>>53587792
Yes which is funny and my next point, every big fight or nerve wracking fight she's drunk and it shows. It was that episode that made it glaringly obvious, she gets nervous tries to calm down and bit with some wine or liquor and it all goes off the rails from there.
>>
>>53587811
Yeah.
>>
>>53587823
Unfortunately I hate golf in real life so I don't know why putting it into a game is necessary. However this is 4chan if you're doing things people don't like they're going to shit in you.
>>
>>53587823
Pisses me off too. Find a new group that can think outside the box, Anon. Some people are afraid of creativity.
>>
>>53587792
>>53587748
>>53587678

Cool. Now I know!
>>
>>53587843
Well that's fine for you, I was thinking of putting it in a game if the players were interested in-character.
>>53587844
Nah I put them on /tg/ and that's what I got.
>>
>>53587870
Oh, golf? Well honestly I hate golf.

But I think it's cool that you took the time to make some rules for it.

I'd go for a round of golf with you any time, Anon.
>>
>>53587870
I get that but I'm explaining where you went wrong, don't tell us, we're a bunch of fucking asshats. If you make something and want some opinions try to find other places for that unless you're pretty sure it's something this place would like.
>>
>>53587891
Well thanks anyways.
>>53587915
Thanks, I suppose that was my fault, then.
>>
>>53587712
Thats actually close to what my notes looks like but then I also never use them in actual play. I tend to wing it. Writing the notes has me get it straight before hand. After a game I then amend them if I changes things up or it went unexpectedly for consistency.
>>
>>53587929
Meh not so much you're fault, you're just far more trusting of us than you should be.
>>
>>53587849
She's only the real "bad egg" on the cast. Most of the others vary in quality and cringe-inducing moments.

The only other other one that I find notably annoying is Vax, who tends to flip between swooning over his girlfriend (Keyleth) and being edgy emo kid dreading the eventual "call out" from the Raven Queen.

Basically everyone else has been pretty solid with their RP, with Sam and Travis being the best of the group with the characters they've got at the table (a Gnome Bard, then a Human Alchemist Artificer for Sam, and a Goliath Frenzy Barbarian for Travis).
>>
My party has bought a house in Waterdeep. Decently sized, at least 4 beds and an attic. How much should they be paying in taxes?
>>
File: 1494998945418.jpg (372KB, 1500x1111px) Image search: [Google]
1494998945418.jpg
372KB, 1500x1111px
>Friend finds out about our 5 player campaign, guilt trips a player into inviting him over before session
>All day party texting me whether I should let him in or not, I say sure, the more the merrier
>Arrive an hour earlier, help him make a character with couple other players
>One player who's is essentially an NPC in that he does nothing/has no backstory/doesn't RP/probably should be kicked ends up a no show after texting us several times "I'll be there in 40 minutes/Something came up, 30 more minutes/*silence* in a 6 hour time frame
>Find out no-show is out drinking at a local bar
>New player rolls up character, we do some intro stuff, he's new but goes ok at first
>Find out new guy invited other friend (also not playing) over to smoke weed while we play
>Other friend is actual a bro and more invested in the game than the new player, and actually really enjoyed watching us play, but...
>...because the new player immediately tries to kill the whole party, starts shit in an RP encounter that was just supposed to have the players not act while a NPC talks to a powerful CR 10 Monster (party level 4)
>Immediately sulks when the 5 remaining party members restrain him
>Opens laptop, ignores us for 1.5 hours
>Tell him to leave
Sorry for venting, but fuck man this was a frustrating session to run. Everyone else had fun, and I guess That Guy didn't take it as hard as I thought (later claimed he wasn't "in the right mood"). No-Show also was more useful this session than his character has ever been in the past, tossing heals and protecting the party like a good Paladin. He lost his whole right arm though, but I have no remorse about that.
>>
>>53588113
Never game with DUDE WEED LMAO players.

After this campaign ends cease all contact and find a new group.
>>
File: ukobach.png (60KB, 906x643px) Image search: [Google]
ukobach.png
60KB, 906x643px
I asked my players for their character sheets for a week. For six days, they disregarded my requests and ignored me. On the seventh day, I warned them. If they did not present their character sheets to me by that night, I would create a stat block for a demon whose sole purpose was to rape their tight little adventurer assholes, and I'd put one of them in every room of every building and dungeon in the world. They mocked me. I warned them.
>>
File: 1493347395057.gif (898KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493347395057.gif
898KB, 200x200px
>>53588203
Are you taking new players?

A-asking for a friend.
>>
>>53587650
shialebeouf.jpg
>>
>>53587650
JUST
>>
>>53588236
I will if these fucks don't shape up, lol. We ended up having a decent first session despite the delay. About to take them on their first Diablo-style dungeon delve with these characters, hoping one of them does something stupid and dies so I can lowkey coerce them into rolling a Wizard or some sort of healer.
>>
>>53588203
>Languages
>Love
Please use this if they fuck up again.
>>
>>53588201
It was only the new player and the rando who smoked, whole rest of the party said no thanks, I'm trying to play some fucking D&D. So nothing lost in the end.
>>
>>53588203
>Languages: Love
Fucking kek
>>
>>53588269
;)
>>
File: 1494567168363.jpg (30KB, 634x351px) Image search: [Google]
1494567168363.jpg
30KB, 634x351px
>>53588269
God damn it why is Incase's work so boner inducing
>>
Next content book?
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870691054231494661
>>
>>53588318
a grey hawk game? what the fuck?
>>
File: demon.png (35KB, 394x824px) Image search: [Google]
demon.png
35KB, 394x824px
>>53588203
My initial threats.
>>
>>53588318
>>53588357
>last three threads talking about product announcement
>you two chuckleheads miss it
It's called Tomb of Annihilation, takes place on the peninsula of Chult far south of the Sword Coast, focused on Acererak who is fucking with resurrection magic and causing zombies to rise up all over the place.
>>
>>53588366
Ha! I would not have said anything about the demon's stats. Just the warning.
>>
File: 1414030763582.gif (883KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1414030763582.gif
883KB, 250x250px
>>53588381
i got back from a dnd game, actually.

but anyway, isn't acererak from greyhawk?

DOES THIS MEAN WE GET A 5E VECNA GAME!?
>>
Is there an UA book I can buy? A physical copy out there that some autist printed out?

Opening all these pdfs is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>53588433
there's the sword coast adventure's guide
>>
File: MISS.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MISS.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone have stories of those times when a player/DM just constantly missed?

https://youtu.be/w3m5z-MO-is?t=6
>>
>>53588393
You'll notice I only had to say +2d6 once and I got the sheets, though
>>
>>53586954
Sune clergy are only sluts if you have a high charisma though.
Let's not forget that her church used to have a rule that said if your charisma was not high enough (or if you suffered physical disfigurement so that your charisma lost points), you were not allowed in the clergy and kicked out if you were previously in it.

And yes old school FR flat out said charisma and physical beauty are connected.
>>
File: The 5e Guide to Sex.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The 5e Guide to Sex.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53588366
Here, you might need this.

Yes, I'm still around. I just left for a bit. I have a life outside of you guys. That being said, I think the 5e Sex Guide is more or less "done" at this point so I probably won't post it again, unless I see a request for it.

Final change of note: Edited the "marathon" rules so that all involved parties now need to make Constitution checks against exhaustion. Previously it was just the PCs, which implied that NPCs were friggin' Pheidippides since they could just keep going and going and going and...

To answer something from the previous thread...

>>53580303

I never said I was a girl. There was another poster who helped me with the guide who said that she was a girl, but it's not something that I ever claimed about myself. Where did you get that impression?

For that matter, where did I "out myself" as a guy?
>>
Is there anywhere I could find a generator for arcane bullshit?
>>
Why is Maze Arcana so shit when they have such a cool setting to work with?
>>
>>53588381
So the fact they're using Acererak says that Ras Nsi is confirmed dead right?
Does that mean Mezro is still gone because 4e decided to nuke all of the weird places?

Because man, chult didn't have a lot going for it after 3e conveniently ignored or retconned most of it, not sure what they're going to do with it now.
>>
>>53584201
My party is in Chult right now as we're running Shrine of Temoachan. One players a Yuan-Ti Pureblood and Two Llamas Running, a Tabaxi, is with the party as a result of them running Barber of Silverymoon prior. I had them teleported there by their employers to expedite the travel. I may strand them there but the books not out till what, September?
>>
>>53587712
Close to this. I use Excel tables to store numerical data, and a plain *.txt via Sublime Text to lay down moment's thoughts. Consider changing the latter to Scrivener though.
>>
>>53588086
Give me a second and I'll know the answer to this.
>>
>>53588475
In 5e? Pretty damn hard to miss very often.
>>
>>53588086
This anon >>53588981 here.
Waterdeep does not charge taxes, property ones or otherwise. This isn't that weird because "property tax" is a relatively recent thing historically speaking. Instead Waterdeep charges fees based on the kinds of businesses you run and how often and long you run it, while only charging taxes during specific kinds of city-wide emergencies.

So unless they are starting a business of some kind they have exactly zero taxes.
Living in Waterdeep isn't too hard, it's MAKING a living that's hard there and actually having enough to buy property.
>>
>>53588696
Hopefully they bring it back.
My current campaign actually takes place way farther south then the usual areas and I was thinking of sending them to Chult at some point....
>>
File: 20170603_033132.jpg (465KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_033132.jpg
465KB, 1280x960px
>>53589040
Speak for yourself.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>53589300
I'll take care of it right now.
>>
>>53589335
Thankee sai
>>
>>53589339
How would you run a Dark Tower game in 5e?
>>
>>53589375
This new thread is part of a nutrinally balanced breakfast.
>>
>>53589367
As in Stephen King novel?
>>
>>53584496
My tiefling character's dad is a warlord (bard) who did just that. We named him Hymn.
>>
>>53585023
>>53584988
Elminster actually couldn't make food that lasts forever. It's why he had his scribe Lhaeo do all the cooking in his tower for him, and why he usually eats at Storm Silverhand's farm now that Lhaeo's gone.

He can't cook for himself.
>>
>>53588648
much appreciated work you do
>>
>>53584885
>why did you lie to me about FR?
You'll have to be more specific.
>>53584952
>There's really nothing wrong with it, just don't have the Mary Sue NPCs show up.
There's nothing wrong with if you just remove everything that sucks about it. Sounds familiar and is more than just NPCs.
>>53585020
The Time of Troubles was a mistake.
>>
>>53585298
Letting the world move in without the players doesn't make it not a sandbox. It's actually kind of a staple of sandboxes to give the impression that the world exists even when the PCd are not involved.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.