[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 51

File: Dwarfgear.jpg (170KB, 728x1124px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarfgear.jpg
170KB, 728x1124px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Geared Up Edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time, on /5eg/:
>>53503574

Do you encourage inventory limits? Do you encourage players to have more mundane items on them to use?
>>
>>53510308
Realized that image had a leftover mangafox watermark
I want to kill myself.
>>
How do I build a no magic Martial without weapon feats and using Medium Armour?
>>
>>53510349
Strength barbarogue doesn't need any feats, doesn't have to use any magic and will use medium armour.

Barbarian5/RogueX
Two shortswords, but you can always keep a shield for when you need that.

If you go full barbarian without feats you only gimp yourself.
>>
>>53510385
What about something that isn't a meme build? I'm just looking for something kinda simple and flavorful, maybe pick up weapon feats later but no focused on them.

For once I just want to be a guy who can be described as a "Warrior". I don't want to go Champion because there's already a Fighter in the group.

Maybe I should just do a Fighter/Thief.
>>
>>53510404
>Barbarogue
>Meme build
>Goes on to suggest the same thing but with fighter levels instead
You haven't really changed much.
Fighter-rogue is an even more memeish build because you should be doing one of the following:

Battlemaster: Riposte for sneak attack on reactions. Take probably either 5 or 11 levels fo fighter.
EK: Ready GFB/BB and then use war magic to sneak attack on your turn, use GFB/BB to sneak on someone else's turn. Take 7 levels of fighter.
Champion: Well, I suppose it's kinda okay. It's the least effective of all unless you're in a campaign where your DM loves to drain your resources entirely. But honestly you should be getting shield master, shoving the enemy prone and then attacking with advantage for maximum crit chance to make use of this. Also no more than 5 levels of fighter.

It's memes all the way down, and barbarogue is just as meme as the rest. It's just a 'thug' rogue, really.
>>
>>53510492
Sorry, for the champion line:
'It's the least effective of all IF you don't use feats for shield master'.
>>
>>53510492
See, I'm not focused on optimising this. I'm just looking for a fun pure martial build after coming off a Wizard.

Which makes it a bitch that there's only Barbarian, Fighter and Rogue for it. Leaves the fun, rarely seen interactions few and far between.

I guess Monk is kinda one as well.. any interesting Monk multiclasses even with spellcasters? I feel like I only see Monks multiclass with Fighter.

I wish we had Warlords, even without real healing.
>>
>>53510529
Well, any monk multiclasses are pretty much 'You can stun X number of times a day' where X is your monk level, assuming it's at least 5.
Otherwise you'd do monk1/moondruidX if you want to annoy the DM with higher AC wild shapes.

Demanding medium armour specifically limits builds a lot. And it's hard to say what 'fun' is, whether it's a 'really dead simple champion fighter that you don't have to think about playing' or 'a wizard who could potentially do anything'

I like barbarogue because it has a clear thing it excels at with being tanky but otherwise it does have options left open for it with grappling, skill checks, etc.

And I wouldn't get why taking feats would ruin a 'fun' value of a class. You can go for a fighter with sharpshooter and all you really need to do is think 'does the enemy have insanely high AC?' and if not add the +10 damage.
>>
>>53510404
Barbarian 5/Rogue X is basically early Conan.
Fighter 5/Rogue X is fine though.
You could also simply go full barbarian, or full sword&board fighter and get 14 dex from a racial if you want medium armor (it's not like you're going to hate having a decent dex save and a bit of initiative.).

Depending on how much of a "basic bitch" you feel like your warrior has to be, if you're fine with a minimum of magic and if your DM allows UA, the Monster Hunter fighter is almost completely overlooked but gets to be a simpler and better Battlemaster (you get sup dice, but you don't choose techniques, you just get 4 excellent ones handed to you and then you get proper class features as you go up in levels) with absurd amounts of skill trainings, and the ability to cast two evergreen spells 1/day.
>>
>>53510385
What's a good starting race for a straight barbarogue? Also, won't your stealth suffer if you're focusing str and not Dex?
>>
>>53510622
Strength barbarogue*
>>
>>53510586
I don't think I really got across what I want, because I'm not possitive what that is. Really I feel like 5e is kind of limited in class options sometimes.

I wish they'd make Variant Classes or something somewhere, I don't hhave any key ideas but it feels like each class has a very specific thing it does in combat and not much else it will ever do.

>>53510600
Actually Monster Hunter looks pretty fun. I like Battlemaster but the fact it doesn't get anything past level 3 really pisses me off because our games go to high levels often.
>>
>>53510622
Won't your stealth suffer if you're using strength on a barbarian instead of dex?

Nothing says rogues need high stealth, unless you're going assassin and the ability to hide as a bonus action. Rogues otherwise need stealth just as much as everybody else does, I guess.

For strength, half-orc works, mountain dwarf works..
For either, triton works.mountain dwarf works, variant human works
For dex, dwarf (hill) works, halfling (stout) is very good indeed.

Generally just 'Does it give high str/dex/con?' is what you want to ask, then other features like lucky or an extra feat or whatever are just icing on the cake. Though you probably don't want to be small on strength as it hurts grappling capabilities.
>>
>>53510622
Bugbear. Also you'll still have 14 DEX and Expertise from Rogue so you can sneak better then most.
>>
>>53510648
Honestly, all fighter kits should have Monster Hunter levels of utility. But alas.
>>
Our swashbuckler asked me about multiclassing a while back. Rogue/fighter apparently pretty good? Extra attacks, action surge and fighting style. Battlemaster for riposte to sneak attack on enemy turns and other maneuvers.
He's level 9 right now and since we rolled for stats he's got 20 cha and 16 dex. If he put the 11 remaining levels in fighter he woulds still get his dex up to 20 and could take the dual wielder feat since he wants to use two weapons.
Any other good options for a level 9 swashbuckler?
>>
>>53510696
More importantly Fighter's should have gotten Expertise, considering they can only help with mundane abilities they should at least be good at them.
>>
File: WhatAmIReading.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
WhatAmIReading.png
557KB, 700x483px
Well /5eg/... I think it's finally happened. I've burned out of D&D for a bit...

I've been playing with a group of friends for about 6 months now, every saturday. About 6-7 Hour long sessions.

We started with LMoP and then moved into a custom campaign down in waterdeep and it's been fun... but lately... I'm not sure if it's me, or if it's the DM that's just burned the fun out.

So here's a few things I feel that could add some clarity, maybe you guys can tell me what's up...

>Delves into Crypts, Dungeons, Caves, Political intrigue, no longer give rewards aside from small amount of XP. Half the time, the group is left battered, beaten and with nothing to show for their adventures.
>The DM plays the entire world against us. The only "Nice" NPC we've ever met was Carp, an 8 year old halfling child from the LMoP campaign. Everyone else is an asshole, or a jew merchant who tries to hustle us with insane prices.
>20's give us no advantage and are not even seen as "Oh hey, a 20!" the DM doesn't register high rolls against NPCs. If we roll a 20, he usually has us roll until we roll shitty, then plays the NPC off as an asshole who won't listen to us.
> He uses Strong magic against us, a level 5 party, in situations where it would warrant him an advantage. (Get Jailed, the guards cast Detect Truth on us, have true seeing, etc.)

Any NPC's we could use to help us, mysteriously cut contact off from us for no reason and we can never find them again.

Is it me? Or is it how we're being treated?
>>
>>53510699
Rogues are fine with multiclassing into pretty much anything with extra attack.

Bard (valor), fighter, barbarian, bladelock, monk, bladesinger, favoured soul (original draft) sorcerer, paladin, whatever.
>>
What implications does a hands-free arcane focus have for gameplay? My DM and myself are struggling to see where problems might come from if this dude's Warlock has a magic hat instead of a magic stick.
>>
>>53510736
I'd also like to add, that we've attempted to sit in libraries to find places to go adventure, magical items or legends to go delve, but we never roll high enough to find anything. We've sat for a month in Waterdeep but our rolls don't impress us. The DM is railroading his campaign to go back North to Icewind Dale, but was the original sole reason we went to Waterdeep in the first place.

Personally, none of us as players want to go to Icewind dale, we've tried to buy a boat and sail East to become pirates, He's sunk BOTH boats each time and said that we can't. (One was a water tornado! the other, a fucking rock when we rolled low while steering it.)

He originally started the campaign telling us we had freedom to roam anywhere, we have a huge printed map of the Sword coast on our wall, with markers in it of possible locations to go to, or places we've failed to go to from his own actions stopping us...
>>
File: mfw knife ears.jpg (43KB, 400x438px) Image search: [Google]
mfw knife ears.jpg
43KB, 400x438px
>>53510736
Sounds like your DM is being an asshat.
>>
>>53510736
The play experience you've described is so awful I'm convinced it's either hyperbole or you've fabricated the entire situation. Before you argue with me about that fact, in the event this is really happening, consider if this campaign is worth being in.
>>
File: 1496126528011.jpg (109KB, 657x900px) Image search: [Google]
1496126528011.jpg
109KB, 657x900px
>>53510308
>>
>>53510622
The sweet thing about being a Rogue is mainly immunity to opportunity attacks, wicked opportunity attacks, and smooth damage bonus progression from sneak attack. You only have to gang up on an enemy with a single ally, and you're golden; which is honestly a nice layer of tactical decision making that the Fighter lacks.

Rogues with extra attack from multiclassing have a much lower chance of wasting their 1/turn sneak attack damage, and get to absolutely annihilate monsters with their opportunity attacks (1/turn means it also applies on an enemy turn if you get the chance.)

If you were, say, a pure Fighter, you'd have to live with your damage being extremely inconsistent (very low before you get each new extra attack, then high immediately after, then low again, and so on; a rollercoaster ride) and your opportunity attacks drop off in relevance like a rock off a cliff.

It's also worth noting that two-handed weapons (e.g. when playing a fighter) genuinely aren't worth it if you can't select weapon feats. The reason the two-hander feats are so good is because it's not a good option out of the box. (though, GWM clearly overshot the mark)
>>
>>53510800
I've already skipped the last two sessions, because us not finding treasure has slowly siphoned any coin we had and we're sleeping on the tavern roof at night.

I don't really think it is, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being "that guy". I've been lurking here long enough and I thought this would never happen to me... Just glad that my peers can see something is up, you know?
>>
>>53510736
Your DM is shit, so of course you're not enjoying yourself.
>>
File: Wizard.jpg (2MB, 3564x2097px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard.jpg
2MB, 3564x2097px
>>53510736
More examples...

>We kill Venomfang, but before we can try to loot his corpse. Gnolls attack us and burn the field he is in, which the flames from the grass, suddenly combust and burn the Green Dragons body, which to the DM's statement, makes any scales, teeth, skull, talons, etc. Worthless. Charred. ?????

> We take over Tresender mansion, spend 3,000 gold rebuilding it that we all pooled together. (Labor, materials, traveling expenses, etc.) Immediately when we leave, word comes to us that bandits attack the mansion, have killed the guards, and burned it to the ground. The original Town now hates us for their friends/families deaths and we are not welcome back by warning of Angry Mob / Lords Alliance Sildar NPC.

> On our way to Waterdeep, the flameskull our two Wizards made is dispelled by a HILL GIANT from 250 feet away, on top of a cliff. It is then immediately crushed by a Boulder thrown by a second hill giant. We kill the duo, but they have no items or trinkets on them.

Like... seriously...
>>
>>53510886
Tell your DM to quit being a faggot
>>
>>53510736
Sounds like your DM is being a piece of shit.
Ask yourself if you want to play in a bad game?
>>
File: Catfish Boss.jpg (225KB, 1500x1060px) Image search: [Google]
Catfish Boss.jpg
225KB, 1500x1060px
>>53510912
Nah I'm done, I just wanted to share my terrible experience. It's made me a better person, when I run my campaign, whenever I do after this break, I'll make sure to never do this shit to my players.

Thanks for listening /5eg/. Love ya.
>>
File: 1492649783192.gif (844KB, 268x278px) Image search: [Google]
1492649783192.gif
844KB, 268x278px
>>53510886
>Your DM has been trolling you the entire time for 6 or 7 months and you've only now just decided to bail
>>
>>53510938
Yeah, he's either lying or actually retarded.
>>
File: 1496067080839.jpg (814KB, 1280x1852px) Image search: [Google]
1496067080839.jpg
814KB, 1280x1852px
What can I make for pic related.
>>
>>53510886
Wow who's the artist?
>>
>>53510924
I have people practically lining up to be my players, and the reason why is basically that I had a shit GM really early on, which made me decide I would never make his mistakes.

Godspeed anon.
>>
File: 1466201806639.jpg (38KB, 995x765px) Image search: [Google]
1466201806639.jpg
38KB, 995x765px
>>53510961
>that sword
>>
>>53510961
Why do you have a picture of a young vampire hunter D?
>>
>>53511026
It's magic, ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
File: BeholderFlameskull.jpg (160KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
BeholderFlameskull.jpg
160KB, 1024x708px
>>53510938
It was really fun an exciting at first, we had a blast. I've known these guys for years, hell, decades. A few of my close friends who I served with sit at that table. But my buddy just doesn't make a good DM, or he doesn't want to run the campaign anymore. Took a while for me to see this.

>>53510968
Not sure, got the Image here, from one of the threads.
Will make for a great boss in the Grung Campaign I have ready to run.
>>
>>53511019
That's a running trend I've noticed. Although looking back, the guy wasn't totally wrong on some things. Just... Really didn't like player agency, it felt like most times.
>>
>>53511035
She's clearly female.
>>
>>53511035
D's hair is black.

Unless he dyes it I guess.
>>
>>53510961
>no armour, huge sword
Barbarian
>no armour, smaller sword
Kensei
>light armour, some sort of homebrew dex two hander
Any martial or cleric
>>
>>53511040
Magic can't stop it from being impractical.
Or maybe it can if that appearance is just an illusion and the actual weapon is a bit more sensible.
>>
>>53511051
Have you seen ANY description of D?
>>53511052
His hair is whatever he wants it to be, canonically.
>>
>>53511082
She looks way too feminine.

>>53511072
But being inherently magical means it can be impractical and still be functional.
>>
>>53511104
>She looks way too feminine.
HAVE YOU SEEN ANY DESCRIPTION OF D?
Seriously, anon, he is feminine in such a way only the Japanese with their buggery could find attractive in a man.
>>
>>53511104
>But being inherently magical means it can be impractical and still be functional.
So due to magic the weapon is incapable of accidentally poking a friends eye out when swinging it?
>>
>>53510961
Redemption Paladin
>>
>>53510308
Currently running a wilderness hexcrawl. Using encumbrance because it's fitting. Players hate it so I let them use the easy mode encumbrance rules. 10x str before become encumbered.

Just realised players likely forgot to update their weights last session so will have to remind them to update it next session.

Fun so far !
>>
>>53511126
That sounds like a personal problem.

>>53511113
I've seen Vampire Hunter D, they don't alike at all. There's also no need to be autistic.
>>
I'm thinking of playing a Monster Hunter in my next game. Current plan is to be a Firbolg and use Two-Handers.

Is Martial Adept worth it? Way I see it, it'll basically give me some more options to spend dice on and an extra die.
>>
>>53511149
>I've seen Vampire Hunter D
I said read, anon.
There is more to the franchise than 2 mediocre movies, there is like 25 novels.
>>
>>53511165
>mediocre

I thought they were kinda good? Maybe aside from those monster mercenaries being absolute jobbers.
>>
>>53510736
Our level 4 party got a TPK against an encounter which was, according to our DM, CR 2, but which could kill one party member per turn, including some major AoE damage. That felt like bullshit, too, and we often go through several sessions without any XP or meaningful loot aside from 'some rusty warhammers' or whatever the orcs leave behind. Honestly it's kinda hard to stay motivated in such situations.
>>
>>53511184
The first was good, but royally fucked the characters and setting beyond belief (the strength of vampire society was scientific mastery of space/time, not magic, the count's "men" were actually world famous giant hunters he hired to kill D).
The second not only fucked over the plot, the setting, the characters, everything you could imagine, it's only saving grace was it's score and decent animation.
>>
>>53511165
Vampire Hunter D was good, mate.
>>
>>53510308
That one panel where he loses his dragon meat to the dark elf makes me angry and sad.
>>
Is there any difference between a halberd and glaive?
>>
>>53510961
Looks elven to me, probably even an avatar.
>>
sprite or pseudodragon that shares magic resistance as familiar as a bard lock? Would Tome pact be any better?
>>
>>53511193
And then there is our DM who drops some deadly bullshit on us at every step, complains about it not being hard enough despite nearly wiping the floor with us, we get inflated XP, DM complains that newly unlocked <insert tier here> spells and/or abilities are too good, cycle repeats itself.
>>
>>53511245
Yeah, the names?
>>
>>53511245
Gold cost IIRC, unfortunately no in-built multiple damage types befitting the halberd.
>>
File: Eldritch Blast Vomit.jpg (112KB, 488x736px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Blast Vomit.jpg
112KB, 488x736px
>>53511142
>UA Paladins
>Redemption, too
>>
What are the best weapon damage types for a melee attacker? I feel like there's not much point in using anything other than bludgeoning (2H maul vs greatsword in particular) since that's the only one I've seen weaknesses against (mostly skeletons).
>>
>>53511143
OP here.
I'm currently using an inventory system.
You have these slots:
>left hand
>right hand
>armour (if not wearing armour or wearing, say, padded or ring mail or something trashy you can put something in here instead)
>slot 1
>slot 2
>slot 3
>10+str only slot 4
>13+str only slot 5
>16+str only slot 6
>19+str only slot 7
>bear barbarian level 6 /goliath only slot 8
>bear barbarian level 6 /goliath only slot 9

Each slot is essentially a bag. A backpack might be several slots if you want. You don't have to describe bags for each, but it's nice.
You can fit, say, a full 50ft rope and something or a weapon or a shield or maybe four potions or a tool kit in a slot. However, nothing stops you from trying to fit, say, eight potions in a slot. However, overloading a slot like that might get you punished as it'll be considered a possibility that an ogre smashing into you with a club or a big drop might cause some of those potions to shatter, whereas a 4 potion slot has a lot more protection space for the potions.

It's a bit arbitrary as there's no solid 'you can only carry this much' but I think that's good too - there's not a load of calculations, you just kinda do what you feel fits right.

Only been playtesting it a bit and it seems to work out alright, but it's not like I have any proper experience on it yet.
>>
>>53511374
If theres one thing I know people play tabletops for, its inventory management
>>
Anyone got any guidelines for expanding the range of revised ranger animal companions?
>>
>>53511722
In terms of animals you can use or what the animals can do?
>>
Cleric of Lucifer here trying to figure out my character's traits and mannerisms. So far I have;
>Never Lies (don't have to answer straight either)
>Vengance is okay
>Help those who deserve it, not ingrates
>Will not take what does not belong to me
>Proud, will not bend the knee
>Freedom of will, will try to cast down tyrants
>Will not attack animals unless they attack first
Am trying to mix in the good and bad. Any suggestions?
>>
So if a character is riding a mount and they make the mount disengage as an action, do neither the rider nor the mount provoke oppotunity attacks? Also, does the rider retain their action, because it was the mount taking the action?
>>
>>53510968
Adolf Hirémy-Hirschl

The painting is called "The Souls of Acheron"
>>
>>53510736
>>53511042
They are your friends. You had fun at first. Some DMs do a great job using a published campaign, but do poorly on their own. All DMs get burned out eventually. Some DMs are unaware or deny that they burning out. Some DMs have out-of-game issues that mess with the game. Talk to the other players. If they agree with you, have someone offer to run games for a while. If everyone likes their characters, you could even run the same characters and let your DM make a character and join the party. Retire your character if you do that.
Don't play a game that is not fun, but do try to fix it.
They are your friends, hanging out with them is a good thing even if it is just poker, pizza, and beer.
Don't be hesitant to have the 'You need a break, dude.' talk with your DM/friend.
If this was a table full of jerkwads, I would say 'Walk away.'
>>
>>53512040
No. The rider is the one 'being moved', he isn't moving on his own. It's comparable I think to knocking an enemy past an ally using Repelling Blast, that also doesn't provoke AoU's. There's a Sage Advice, too: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/09/mount-disengage/

As for the rider retaining his action, I guess it depends? According to the rules, if you're directing it you can only make it take the Dash, Disengage or Dodge actions, so no attacks, but intelligent creatures can attack, although I'd say the threshold for intelligence should be left up to the DM, and maybe the actions the mount takes in that case should also be taken by the DM (or you could roll dice to see what it does). For example, say you're riding a bear because you made a really good animal handling check. It's understandable that said bear would attack the orcs threatening you and it by proxy, but at the same time he might also get pissed off at the Sorcerer shooting firebolts past his face, even if they're directed at those same orcs.

In short though if you're doing the riding on a nonintelligent mount and you make the mount disengage you retain your action.
>>
>>53511509
I seem to perpetually have the opposite problem: before every campaign, I always end up calculating exactly how much I can carry and then buying as much utility items from the shop that would bring me just to that limit, and every DM so far just foregoes carrying capacity and weight limits outside of actions and ignores food and drink requirements making my meticulous planning go to waste. Every. Single. Time.
Gee if I wanted to play a video game with hammer space and no need to ever eat or drink I'd have gone and done that, at least I could mod one to satisfy my logistics itch.
>>
>>53512274
>>53512274
Thanks for the info, very useful for my mounted paladin build I'm planning. I was thinking on going Polearm Master/Sentinel at level 5 with variant human. Sad to see that Polearm Master doesn't work for lances.
>>
>>53510736
Dave?
>>
>>53512425
It is pretty good.

My GM started making us trek through tunnels to prevent my Mounted Combat Paladin from running over every encounter pretty much by himself.
>>
>>53512406
carrying capacity should never really come up anyway, unless the DM is using encumbrance rules
WIth carrying capacity, you have more than enough
With encumbrance, you have enough for your armour and a weapon or two before you start losing speed
>>
>>53510349
Do you want a non magic martial that's good? Well, pick champion fighter or battlemaster, and you'll be good in combat (and combat only). Now if you want a nonmagic martial that doesn't make you want to sleep while playing, that's impossible in this edition.
>>
>dm gave me a wicked magical +3 bow
>party didn't assfuck itself first session and be rude as fuck
>campaign might actually go well this time
:D
>>
>>53512656
>first session
>+3 bow
what level are you?
>>
>>53510961
Bard school of swords
>>
>>53512016
I see what you're trying by not having Lucifer be inherently evil, but, he kind of is. At least, according to alignments. Lucifer is ego. You do what you want to do when you want to do it. You want to kill a person just to kill a person? Go ahead. Who's God to tell you not to? He and the other fallen angels fight against Michael and the rest of God's angels. He is the ultimate evil because he was created divine and good and he freely CHOSE to be evil.

You can't so much change his ideals as you can change how his ideals are viewed. The most you can really do is say "What if God is the evil one for 'denying free will'?". Have the cleric be a champion of choice, free will and pride, even if that means the choice to be evil.
>>
>>53510308
I don't explicitly keep track of it but I keep tabs on the fighter who has a hardon for taking trophies (read: heads) from everything they kill. He's Dex of course so he gets busted frequently.
>>
>>53511509
The inventory system I mentioned is much simpler than calculating weights, I believe.

There's no set 'Okay, you're now encumbered'. It rewards you more space for having higher strength. And it also feels nicer than just having a list of things, because each slot is like a bag.

Literally all you have to do is mark down a number of slots to be bags and put stuff in bags. No funny calculations or anything, just use common sense.

It's more important in a dungeon crawler or something where you can lose or gain lots of key items and items might help get to certain places in the dungeon or be a monster's weakness, etc.
>>
>>53510736
>Any NPC's we could use to help us, mysteriously cut contact off from us for no reason and we can never find them again.

This shit triggers me hard, especially as a Bard
>>
File: 300[1].jpg (22KB, 300x332px) Image search: [Google]
300[1].jpg
22KB, 300x332px
Stat me
>>
>>53511921
In terms of animals you can use, like what acceptable stat ranges are
>>
>>53513079
10 levels of kill yourself.
>>
>>53513101
That's stupid, he clearly isn't a fighter or barbarian, the only classes that make me want to kill myself.
>>
What's /5eg/s opinion on handouts? Like when you break into someone's room and instead of just narrating their diary the DM gives you an actual printed handout or a map or whatever.

Good idea? Bad idea?
>>
>>53513274
My players always love it, but putting together a whole diary seems like a lot of work - keep it simple for your own sake
>>
>>53513274
Best Idea.

I hate being told a ton of information, because it is impossible to remember, and we practically have to take a 10 minute break in order for any of ua to write it all down.

As a GM I also love making all sorts of stupid props and handing out to my players. Loads of fun.
>>
>>53513274
I think it's better. Easier to remember important information, tkes less time and you can read it in your own time.
>>
File: billy thumbs up.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
billy thumbs up.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>53513308
>>53513316
>>53513329
Well alright then.
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaAaaa
How the fuck do you do for a group of pure chaotic/le group of players? I had them encounter a LG/cg group of npcs and the npcs wanted to take a bandit camp together, but split the bounty. Which was fine. They baited the guards to break away from their routes and the lg guys just knocked them out, not killing them. The player characters then just start sawing off their hands after waking the npc bandits up, because he's a fallen assimar and collects hands (idk I'm stuck with retarded edgy players) the lg and cg NPCs tell them the deal is off, and while the players are busy entering the camp from the front, the cg/lg NPCs sneak in back and ride off with the bandit leader in tow for the bounty reward (since the reward was only for the camp leader). The player party. murdered all the other bandits, (even the ones that surrendered, tried to flee with no weapons, killed bandit children too) the assimar cut off all their hands and offers them to his God, bane. How the fuck do I deal with murderhobo party's? Do I just build up a group of lg/cg NPCs who's goal is to stop this gang of murderers? Do I end the campaign when they die? I've already made a fuckin of details for this setting. I don't want to see it go.

Tldr: help me never dmed for le/ce/cn party before.
>>
I really hate elves.
>>
Well, I feel like an idiot.

I was the Anon last night who was looking for the Book of Spells.

For anyone else who was interested turns out it was "hidden" inside of the mega link -> third party -> necromancer games
>>
>>53513308
>Not enjoying making a 200 page diary with 190 irrelevant pages full of bullshit
You don't know true joy my friend.

I made it because I travel 1 hour both to and from work with public transportation, so I was just writing page up and page down with shit that was more mind crushingly boring than your average high school teacher.
>Day 1
>Finally claimed my own tower. I wonder how I should decorate the place
>Day 371, 44 pages in, all describing the process of decorating and setting up the interior of thr tower
>Figured out that Green goes badly with the stone walls. Makes it look dirty. Might have to change it all. Wonder if a spell can do that, or if I have to replace it in a more mundane fashion. Maybe I can summon something to help me do this? Will have to investigate.
All written tightly and hurriedly in a terrible hand writing.
>>
>>53513384
Sadly, you're probably better off just going le wacky funhouse route and ignoring a meat of your campaign. Don't throw it out though; if you can get together a well behaved group then you can toss them in to the same world. Hell, it will even have a little flavor about a band of villainous scum.

>>53513546
Hi Eric. See you at the game tonight.
>>
>>53512847
Thanks man, very helpful- especially that last bit.
Concerning the first bit about letting a person kill another person; I'm thinking I can knowingly let a person get murdered right in front of me, but afterwards I'm free to punish the murdered in turn as I adhere to Lucifer's role as the ruler of Hell wherein the guilty are punished.
Appreciate the help!
>>
Solution: don't let players play evil characters.

Otherwise, put up with their dumb bullshit.
>>
>>53513609
Meant for
>>53513384

herp de derp
>>
>>53510814
Is bottom left a burger titan?
>>
File: 1473273352885.jpg (434KB, 700x914px) Image search: [Google]
1473273352885.jpg
434KB, 700x914px
>>53513546
Elves are cute.
>>
>>53513609
>>53513595
my setting is a variant of a postwar faerun/forgotten reals, with a large Eastern continent rivaling faeruns size and history. I made some new mythos to go along with the new setting, roughly based on native American folklore creation myths, and the ars goetia. Magic users are hunted down, and exchanged for money ( if they aren't licensed by the state, this only applies to the continent of faerûn. Good aligned clerics and paladins get a pass as long as they worship a state sponsored religion (basically any non evil aligned god)) half my players showed up with evil or pure chaotic aligned warlocks or mystics/mages. Does this make me a bad dm if I kill them off by bounty hunters/witch Hunts? They were warned before they made their characters.
>>
How come Frenzy Barb doesn't get a ribbon ability?
>>
>>53513786
>Does this make me a bad dm if I kill them off by bounty hunters/witch Hunts? They were warned before they made their characters.
Be fair about it, but apart from that I don't see anything wrong with their actions having consequences.
>>
>>53513384
Why not give them a dungeon as their base?

I had an idea if I ever got a group that wanted to play evil characters to give them a clean, slate dungeon. They have to make the traps, populate it with monsters, and spread the rumors to adventurers to lure them in. Why seek out the treasure and valuables when they can get it to come to them? The PCs here are the literal boss fight(s).

One thing to keep in mind in a traditional setting is that evil is proactive and good is reactive. Bad shit happens then good guys try to keep the status quo, whereas evil characters want to bend the status quo in their favor. I would have sat down day one and asked why their characters would have any interest in working together to disrupt the status quo. What goal do they want to achieve because all bad guys have a goal. No goal, no campaign. You can try and give them one, but its not something they'll be passionate about as a group it'll fall flat.
>>
>>53513786
As long as they were warned. Will probably make it interesting and give it a Dragon:Age feel with the persecution of magicals.
Some Thay Enclave Remnants would be a cool place to seek sanctuary if ever they seek refuge.
>>
>>53513701
Stop posting monsters.
>>
>>53513786

Their actions have to have consequences, anon. If they're a bunch of evil murderhobo magic users in a world were Magic is haram, then fuck them. You said you warned them, so it's fair game.

Make them the villains of an NPC campaign. Progressively throw more and harder shit at them until they either get the message that they need to be more careful and not walk around waving magical sword dildos at everything that moves and try to work in secret, or they fucking die.
>>
>>53513786
Kek.
If i were one of your players i'd talk the rest into founding fantasy-america.
Magic rights shall not be infringed!
>>
>>53513581
This is likely just b8, but if not, you're autistic, and unless your players are similarly autistic, they did not enjoy being fed 190 pages of hard to read bullshit to get the next 10 pages of plot point. It's good to not spoonfeed your players, but it is terrible to do what you did.
>>
>>53513956
Yeah I think I'm going to run with this idea. They already lit a kid on fire and cut his hands off for helping free horses the players were stealing, the starving kid just let the horses to because he didn't want the players to hurt them . I have an npc party of a kid learning to become a rogue, 2 state sponsored clerics of bahamut and a Goliath warlord leading them. Might just make it their goal to stop the players until they get the message.
The bandit camp actually had a smart troll as an arena opponent (bandits would bring in other rival bandits in or just some guy who drew the Short end of the stick that day and have them 1v1 the troll) this provided entertainment at the camp, and the troll was smart enough to keep the bloodlust at the point where he had the bandits bringing in a steady stream of food, and he was relatively safe in the bandit camp. Troll was a rare bone claw variant (he would wear down the skin on each of his finger tips do that the bone tips would protrude out, then sharpen them for use as weapons. They failed to properly "kill" it (in this setting you need necrotic or very potent acid to stop the regenerative abilities of certain trolls.) Troll retreated, feigned death, then started hunting the PC's again. They left off the last session at a campsite between towns, and they don't know the troll is hunting them.
>>
>>53513607
The only thing is, God is the punisher. God sends the damned to Hell. Satan just carries out the punishment. I think your hypothetical situation still makes sense though and in a way, epitomises Lucifer. You have the choice to do good, in stopping the murder but you choose the evil of letting it happen. You have the choice to do good, in showing mercy to the killer but you choose the evil of vengeance.

Any Cleric of Lucifer should have their personality revolve around the choice to do evil. Which makes you inherently evil.
>>
>>53511245

Just like the Spear/Trident there were a couple of things in design that got overlooked
>>
>>53514262

>They already lit a kid on fire and cut his hands off for helping free horses the players were stealing, the starving kid just let the horses to because he didn't want the players to hurt them

Guy you're replying to.

Just drop a fucking bunch of rocks on these edgelords.

This isn't even chaotic evil, it's chaotic edge.
>>
>>53514262
>They already lit a kid on fire and cut his hands off for helping free horses the players were stealing
That's not evil or chaotic, that's fucking retarded. Why are there so many people that do shit like this?
>>
>>53514262
Send paladin parties after them.

Like, have 3 paladins, 12 millita men and a cleric hunt them down 'because holy shit you're setting children on fire and cutting off their hands'

A party of 16 should be able to beat them, even if the majority of it is mourning parents and relatives without training who are there to FIGHT FOR JUSTICE
Especially with paladin smiting.
>>
>>53514464
>>53514262
Actually, scratch that -
2x paladin, 4x guards, 8x millita and 1x cleric.

If it's a typical edgy party they'll think 'Oh, look, another bunch of people to mindlessly slaughter, our DM would never put a really, really hard encounter against us!'
Then promptly slaughter them via action economy.
>>
>>53514276
>>53511245
Honestly I think they're just there as a response to 4e's exotic weapons system. If you had only a glaive/halberd, somebody could talk about their special snowflake east asian polearm that looks more like (a halberd/a glaive) and thus should have its own custom stats that totally aren't blatantly overpowered. Now with both weapons you can point at whichever one is closer and just tell them that their Sovnya is going to be a reach 1d10 two-handed weapon just like everything else.

Same with the Trident, someone might argue that their spear just happens to be special enough to be a martial weapon and thus should be a d8/10 versatile weapon, and trident is just there for the GM to tell them to fuck off, their Chinese snake spear is a d6/d8 just like everyone else and they can take spear mastery if they want to get that extra damage.
>>
>>53513575
Man the Book of Spells is terrible. Most of them are just plain useless, but I recall one level 3 spell dealing 4d6 on anyone who attacks you or 10d6 to a single target while I saw level 6+ spells that dealt 3d6 and only had a single attack. And most of the spells I saw were concentration and only lasted 1 minute anyway.
>>
>>53510492
>EK: Ready GFB/BB and then use war magic to sneak attack on your turn
Extra meme because that stilldoesn't fucking work.
>>
>>53514591
Why not?
You're casting a spell as an action, so you get a bonus action to use on your turn which triggers sneak.
Then you unleash the pre-cast spell as a reaction when it's not your turn.

Show me where it says that doesn't work.
>>
File: dnd-5th-troll.jpg (811KB, 2475x3263px) Image search: [Google]
dnd-5th-troll.jpg
811KB, 2475x3263px
>>53514402
>>53514316
Like I even went to great lengths to tell players don't do evil shit, you probably will be stopped.
They even chose special snowflake races, where I told them there's only tribes of 100 or so in existence. (Halflings can breed between races and produce a purchase offspring, so these isolated tribes of tabaxii, assimar, Goliath's, etc bring in halfings to live with them and adopt them during years with low birthrates in order to bolster their numbers) I made separate backgrounds for each tribe and I got an assimar player who just flat out ignores setting and refuses background info. Just frustrated I put work into this setting and I get people who dick around and largely ignore it

>>53514487
Players whine about every encounter I give them "it's too hard" or " we don't have a healer"
(Everyone refuses to play any good aligned healer)
They rolled my hardest lvl 3 encounter (10 x forest dire wolves (roots growing on back instead of rocks) and a rider) and lived through it. Next encounter was 5 PC's at level 3 vs that troll (pic related, 10 hp restore replaced by 3 separate 40 hp surges, 120 hp starting with. I give them a very forgiving stat roll to start the game off and I let them take Max hp so I can give them harder encounters. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>53514611
You're not taking the "Cast a Spell" action, you're taking the "Ready" action, thus you're not eligible for a bonus action attack.

At least that's what I think that anon means.
>>
>>53514641
Produce a pure offspring, my bad.
>>
>>53514641
Shoulda gone for point buy and normal HP and a system that doesn't need a healer (don't fall unconscious at 0) such as vitality or the proposed 'you lose max HP instead'. which actually gives them effectively more HP anyway except healers now heal instead of just reviving everybody at 1 HP.

>>53514656
Yes, but you don't have to 'cast a spell'. War magic requires you to cast a spell as an action, and readying an action casts a spell. So I hope he means something else.
>>
>>53514686
>>53514656
Sorry, that is
It doesn't say you have to take the 'cast a spell' action, even if it requires you to cast a spell.
>>
>>53514641

I'm an advocate for giving players freedom and choice, but it sounds like they've railroaded themselves into edgelords, so treat them as such.

You've put lots of work into this world, use it on them. Bring down the righteous thunder, just like what would actually happen if the evil edgelords were your villains and the players were all good guys.
>>
File: 1479482377432.gif (688KB, 664x714px) Image search: [Google]
1479482377432.gif
688KB, 664x714px
>>53514641
You already know what must be done
>>
Best feats to take for a Dex based paladin, multiclass into lore bard for story reasons, V.human using rapier and buckler, or hand crossbow for range.
>>
>>53510764
No real problems, but how could you resist pulling your magic out of a hat? That's not really hands free.
>>
File: 0% survivors.png (296KB, 474x720px) Image search: [Google]
0% survivors.png
296KB, 474x720px
Sorry if this steps on anyone's toes, I'm really not trying to offend people, but I wanted to ask.

Is multiclassing "tryhard"? Whenever I see anyone do it, it's not for lore or roleplay reasons, it's for power. It just seems to dilute a character, in my opinion, but I'd like to see what other people think.
>>
>>53514960
Linguist
>>
>>53514960
Is the DM handwaving the STR 13 prereq for MCing out of paladin?
>>
>>53514960
PAM

PAM
And
PAM
Take 6 levels of lore bard
get shillelagh
quarterstaff
and PAM

Then +cha
There is no other valid build.
>>
>>53515047
Ideally Múlticlass is always a reflection of Lore through mechanics but I have never seen a player with enough discipline to pull it off, so as a DM I retroactively try to find reasons to make it work.

That Paladin wants a level in Wild Sorcerer? Fine, enjoy your chaos aura being the reason for every shitty thing that has ever happened to the ones you love in your edgy tragic backstory
>>
>>53515076
Delete this.
>>
>>53514686
I made sure to let the players know they passed by at least 3 potion shops on their way out of town. They could of hired a cleric for the trip out.
>>53514890
>>53514929
Just gonna have someone hire one of the PC assassin's to kill one of the other players in game to be wife/duchy npc before he gets any real power, then state witch hunters and paladins drop in and steamroll the place? Do I have them encounter the players at a resting point or on the road? At least 3 of the 5 PC's are evil aligned and have willingly participated in the murder of a child and cutting off hands.
>>53515047
In my opinion if it's done flavorfully it's fine. If it's just to minmax and doesn't fit the character)setting it's full tryhard then. (Ie one of my characters spent a year of downtime leading raids against orc camps for a military organization, he gained a level and multiclassed into warlord to give him tactics.
>>
File: screenshot.jpg (83KB, 502x528px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.jpg
83KB, 502x528px
Anyone ever play using this variant rule? It could be fun for a short campaign.
>>
Quick, give me 3 character concepts you've been thinking about lately.
>>
>>53514094
It was actually just a random side plot.

It made them figure out how to make a portal to another demiplane of sorts, that they started using as a "homeworld", sending people in to start building up a community they could access from anywhere. They knew he had a journal/diary, and they kept talking about getting ahold of it. I had no idea what to do to represent it, so I just spent the time on the train in a more constructive manner than usual.
>>
>>53515195
A wizard that casts a lot of spells.
A fighter that hits a lot of things with his weapons.
A rogue that sneaks a lot.
>>
>>53515047
MCing lets you make more mechanically interesting characters than just following through the base classes. There's fun in that. It needn't conflict with the roleplaying aspect.
>>
File: hands.png (329KB, 387x658px) Image search: [Google]
hands.png
329KB, 387x658px
Designing an artifact item for our monk. Thoughts?
>>
Any good fifth edition/general DnD podcasts out there? I'm looking for something to listen to on my morning walks.
>>
>>53515212
But *why* does the wizard cast spells?
>>
>>53515047
As long as you disallow certain bullshit builds it's perfectly fine and no less flavourful than someone who decided to be an X and doesn't roleplay it properly.

Multiclassing doesn't make a player go from a good player into a bad player.
>>
>>53515241
He just has terrible eyesight. He's trying to read his romance novels but always opens his spellbook by accident.
>>
>>53515241
He wants to unlock the mysteries of the multiverse. And have the fattest spellbook.
>>
>>53515195
Napoleon-esque Wizard. 5'4, dresses like a court dandy, despises incompetence in all forms and revels in dismantling established dynasties/political systems that are rooted in corruption/inefficient bureaucracy/stupidity.

Kensai Weeaboo who is obsessed with the far east to the point that it breaks his brain. Basically becomes Don Quixote and tries at all times to uphold the bushido code while also searching for the fabled "true hanzo steel."

Samurai/Hexblade Warlock Revenant who is searching for the Oni that slaughtered his village.

First one is the only one I've put any real thought into.
>>
>>53510349
Mountain Dwarf Barbarian.
Strength 17, Dex 14, Con 17 at start.
First ASCI into raising STR and CON both to 18.

Take Battlerager archtype, wield a Battleaxe in a two handed grip.

Knock fuckers prone, grapple fuckers, cleave fuckers, headbutt fuckers, elbow fuckers with armour spikes.

Later take the Dwarven racial feat for +5ft movement, +1 Strength and Expertise in Athletics.
>>
>>53515099
On the other hand, a Hlal Paladin or Cleric MC'd with Bard is about as fluff and lore appropriate as it gets.

So yeah - It depends on the players.
>>
>>53515282
But napoleon was 5'10
>>
>>53515317
I know, but he's not actually Napoleon.
>>
>>53515286
You're sacrificing decent damage and using a 1d10 weapon instead without anything to boost it like GWM or PAM or anything. What's the point of being a strength barbarian at that point, really? You're just falling behind the rogues / barbarogues / maybe even the monks / the casters when you could just as well hold a big weapon and have a feat for it and if you wanted to grapple someone you could drop that weapon and pull out a one-handed one.
>>
>>53515195
Strength-based Kobold Fighter
Goblin Gunsmith
Some kind of Nomad Mystic. Probably human, maybe halfling.
>>
>>53515195
A High Elf Counter-Pirate ranged Fighter, with a contempt for pirates, and actively hunts them down.

A cute and slightly helpless wizard, who has shit physical stats, and relies on her big burly adventure buddies to keep her safe, and only has supportive spells known.

A plain human thief Rogue, who has a fascination for mythical creatures, especially dragons, and desperately wants to meet one, and is prepared with gifts and all kinds of knowledge about dragons, hoping to make a good first impression.
>>
>>53515047
Simple. You don't need to discuss lore or roleplay reasons with other players. You do need to discuss mechanical ramifications.

Classes don't have very strong fluff attached. Fighters and rogues, for example, are almost totally flavorless, soulless chunks of mechanics that go with everything.

Where there is fluff, sometimes its bad fluff (for example, the barbarian has a heavy emphasis on "stupid ignorant fucktard" when he's supposed to be a resourceful survivalist tribal/outsider type).

Sorcerer's fluff is easily overlooked (you are born with power, whoop de doo) and goes well with everything.
>>
>>53515195
>>53515195
A Dwarven sorcerer with a sorcerous origin from an earth titan that focuses on construction and building (conjuration; summoning earth golems and elementals).

A human druid that's a nature loving hippie and pacifist who never fights others to kill but will restrain with vines, talk to animals to bring them as a companion/"familiar," and generally allow nature to take its course. Will have a pet of some sort and will let the animal kill. "It is the natural way for a bear to eat its prey, though I would certainly never do such a thing."

A halfling that wields a greatsword. Tiniest little bastard who whips out a gigantic blade and flings it around. Strength fighter with great weapon feats and fighting style (Strength must be maxed out ASAP). He'll take the disadvantage on attack rolls but won't give a shit and will keep on swinging wildly anyway.
>>
>>53510349
Revised Ranger, Beastmaster. It benefits the least form feats.
>>
File: 1421668683146.jpg (36KB, 223x349px) Image search: [Google]
1421668683146.jpg
36KB, 223x349px
>>53515386
>strength-based kobold fighter
HOW? dat -2 STR, you're getting no higher than 13 STR at level 1
>>
File: 1467889583601.jpg (479KB, 1250x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1467889583601.jpg
479KB, 1250x1126px
>>53515764
>he doesn't roll for stats
>>
>>53515054
Yes because we're a group of friends so it's a little more laid back, fits the theme of an OoA paladin and had the chance to learn from an NPC bard to bring joy to world through song instead of just kicking in bad guys teeth and cracking jokes.

>>53515064
But anon I'm using a rapier do you have trouble reading? I'm not worried about best or optimized I'm playing a character aesthetically based off the three musketeers.
>>
>>53515764
>he doesn't roll for stats with a 6d20 down the line and get incredibly lucky.

joking aside, rolling for stats is fine if your group enjoys it, and /tg/'s badwrongfun attitude towards it is hilarious to bait people with, now fuck off victims of my bait
>>
>>53515786
You stop being purposefully suboptimal right this second and do as you're told, or else you should ask for 'the worst feats possible' and we'll waste all your flavour in the next chicken broth.
>>
I presume UA is going to be next week?
>>
File: 1495208076329.jpg (53KB, 466x664px) Image search: [Google]
1495208076329.jpg
53KB, 466x664px
>>53515781
>rolling for stats
>>
File: laughing dog.jpg (91KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
laughing dog.jpg
91KB, 612x612px
>He doesn't "roll for stats" in private and then use heavy emotional blackmail and take advantage of personal friendship with the DM to get totally legit improbably high stats to make him use them

Wow, are you even trying? I bet you've never given someone a brojob to get your character approved! (jk it was for free with an added benefit)
>>
>>53515841
Considering today is still the current month and that next month doesn't start yesterday, yes.
>>
>>53515764
Praying that Fighter ASIs can bail me out

My only issue is I'm not sure if it's way too suboptimal to even function. It's a struggle between character flavor and optimization, realistically, and I tend to err on the side of flavor.
>>
>>53514686
I'll do you one better since you're probably the same idiot I told about this before.

>Booming Blade
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must
make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.
If you don't make the booming blade attack at the same time as you cast the spell, the spell fails. So if you cast the spell on your turn, you make the attack on your turn. Pretty simple.
>>
File: 1465497424272.jpg (144KB, 520x500px) Image search: [Google]
1465497424272.jpg
144KB, 520x500px
>>53515846
>he thinks actually rolling is involved
>>
File: 1495403644435.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1495403644435.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
>>53515819
I'll stop being suboptimal with this character when it stops being so much fun
>>
>>53515847
What the hell is a "brojob"
>>
>>53515953
It's where you give your bro a blowjob. It ain't gay because it's between bros.
>>
DMs at what rate do you typically hand out magic items?

Dungeon my PCs are currently running has about 4-5 magic items they can find right now, is that too many?
>>
>>53515953
Its where you give someone a blowjob or handjob to be a bro and its not gay because he's thinking about it being a girl doing it and you're thinking about doing it to a based trannybro's girlpenis
>>
File: 1494918668915.png (1MB, 1678x702px) Image search: [Google]
1494918668915.png
1MB, 1678x702px
>>53515971
For whatever reason I've liked this chart and keep vaguely to it. It really depends on what kind of setting you want, either lots of magic or hardly any.
>>
>>53515953
When nohomo goes full homo.
>>
>>53515971
I like to give out a fair number of magical knick-knacks that can be used creatively, i'm fairly stingy with magic arms, armor, and buffing items because of their potency. I tend to be liberal with consumable items, because they are consumable and thus an expendable resource.
>>
>>53515971
I give them out as incentive to do something I know they don't want to do. Lots of cursed items and deals with evil people. And every three sessions
I tend to throw them SOMETHING.
>>
>>53515909
What I won't accept is that the last time we (or someone) talked about it that there wasn't any valid reason why what I've said before won't work.

What I can accept is that the wording of boombing blade / green flame blade is actually a good argument for why it won't work.

It does raise some questions, though, even if these questions aren't going to change war magic's interaction.
If you use a bonus action to cast it, is it still 'the action used to cast it'? I suppose it would be, it's still an action of sorts.
Another question it raises is what happens if you ready an action with booming blade and attack. Do you deal regular damage to them but hold the bonus damage?

It makes me wonder if there's something else odd you can do with GFB/BB because of this.
>>
File: 1475593214959.jpg (51KB, 618x631px) Image search: [Google]
1475593214959.jpg
51KB, 618x631px
>>53515846
>>53515916
>not taking 18 in all stats and just saying you rolled it
>not feeling so bad that you give it up and take the standard array anyway
>>
>>53515971
>TFW I have a +1 Longsword that acts as +3 against all greenskins
>At level 2

Considering we are mostly fighting Orcs right now, that's pretty damn good.

Of course, we are 0 Strength based fighters, but my Bard is having a lot of fun destroying Orcs with this. Might go for Valor just because of this blade.
>>
>>53515966
>>53515996
Uhh.. No one actually does this, right? During games I mean..
>>
>>53516184
Not during games.
>>
>>53516153
>Tfw rolled once in front of the GM with the rest of the group watching
>18
>18
>17
>17
>17
>14
>Made a Lore Bard support to not just completely overshadow everybody, with the added benefit of being the ultimate skill monkey.

All in all, it was pretty okay.
>>
>>53516077
I think the answer is when you Ready a spell, you don't actually Cast the spell until you use your reaction. You have to meet the requirements to cast the spell as normal when you Ready (have the components available), and you lose the spell slot even if you never finish the spell.
>>
>>53516214
>those stats
>lore bard
>to not overshadow everybody
top fucking kek
>>
>>53516184
Of course not, you keep it to hands during the games.
>>
>>53516214
It always feels like I'm cheating if I roll high honestly

Honestly I'm fine with 3 extra points. Turn the 15 into 16, 13 into 14, and 11 into 12 and I'm fine. Anything more is insane.

I just take the standard array though. When I run a game I let all characters start with a free feat.
>>
File: 1488830288457.jpg (255KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1488830288457.jpg
255KB, 1536x1536px
I'm making a Paladin, help me out /tg/

Which is a good oath?
Should I go sword & shield or 2H?
What's a good feat?
>>
Would a samurai be in a fighter class or a knight class?
>>
>>53510529
If you're willing to use homebrew, this one is not quite as bad as most Warlords out there. Although it might feel too caster-like for you.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyJ34Nofx
>>
>>53516077
After a bit of thinking, there isn't really anything too funky you can do with that knowledge.

The funkiest thing I can think of is
>You ready booming blade
>Okay, all the spell effects (defined as the text box that includes 'you must..' are stored
>You use booming blade as a reaction
>Okay, you MUST do this as part of the action you did on your turn earlier
What the fuck happens then? You turn back time?

>>53516236
"When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal"
I don't see how, mechanically or flavour-wise, you wouldn't have casted the spell. By the very definiton, you cast the spell, and flavour-wise it makes perfect sense as you use your concentration to hold onto the effects for a few seconds.
How would you lose a spell slot for not casting a spell?
>>
File: 1490482509118.jpg (53KB, 482x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490482509118.jpg
53KB, 482x500px
>>53516153
>feeling bad
Disgusting.
>>
>>53516310
Both the Samurai and the Knight are in the Fighter class already.
>>
>>53516308
i always have sword & shield for my paladins but that might be why they keep dying so maybe dont pick that
>>
>>53516308
Oath of Ancestors Sword and Board. Just be the most jovial motherfucker in the room at any given time.
>>
>>53516257
I managed to play it in a way that made literally everyone better at whatever they focused on. I just focused entirely on being a support bitch, and help everybody else shine.

It also helped that everyone had insane magic items, and I let everybody else get all of it.
>>
>>53516343
Oath of Ancients, rather, my bad.
>>
File: Kurisu_Die.png (428KB, 424x440px) Image search: [Google]
Kurisu_Die.png
428KB, 424x440px
>>53515942
Who said you were allowed to have fun?
>>
>>53516308
Roll for your oath if you can't figure out a good one by yourself.
>>
>>53516340
>I'm dying because I have more AC on a class where all my damage comes from farting out Smites
i think you or your party might just be bad at games, friend
>>
How do you make a Warlock that isn't Too Edgy: The Edgening or goody-two-shoes Undying Light "all life should be protected"?
>>
>>53515221
So it's kind of like Hanzo's tattoo from Overwatch?
>>
>>53516340
>Shield
>Keep dying
Huh? Shields are a ridiculous survival tool in 5e. Removing them isn't going to make you live any longer. Maybe you're just a bit reckless?

>>53516372
It's okay, anon can have fun. It's not like he's the DM.
>>
>>53516405
Feylock. Be an arcane trickster instead.
>>
>>53516283
>Honestly I'm fine with 3 extra points. Turn the 15 into 16, 13 into 14, and 11 into 12 and I'm fine. Anything more is insane.
Judging by the current point buy, 15 to 16 would be 3 points, 13 to 14 is 2 points, and there's no 11, so 10 to 12 is 2 points. So you're really fine with 7 more points, to show what MAD folks might use that for.
>>
>>53516405
Make a genuinely nice guy who doesn't know they're in a pact, or accidentally entered one.
>>
>>53516409
Dunno, I don't really play much multiplayer games.
>>
File: 1496088251369.jpg (34KB, 564x573px) Image search: [Google]
1496088251369.jpg
34KB, 564x573px
>>53516405
>>53516417
This.
>>
>>53516308
Statistically PAM (quarterstaff+duelling+shield) or halberd/whatever + GWF / defense is your best options, but especially on a devotion paladin before level 11 GWM is great still unless your DM throws high AC enemies at you.

>Good feats
Aside froom PAM, you should be upping your stats, or consider something like heavy armour mastery if you have an odd strength.

All oaths are good. Oathbreaker is broken good though.
>>
>>53516425
>"WHAT? YOU MEAN THAT LICH WAS EVIL!?!"
>>
>>53516405
You figure out what the character was like before getting roped into an ill-advised pact, and you try to stick to that.
For example, I played a warlock that was a thief and a gypsy. Just because he had a deal with a faerie queen didn't stop him from being those things.

>>53516409
RYU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU
>>
>>53516405
That IS the appeal of a warlock ya dolt. You know how I know this? Because the edgiest guy in my party always picked a Warlock class as a new character to "strike ebil in the hearts of the innocent" as he said himself over and over again.
>>
>>53516323
You literally take the "Ready" action and decide you're going to "Cast a Spell" as the action to take. There's extra requirements when you ready to cast a spell, but that's the mechanical explanation. Otherwise you're casting the same spell twice, and there's probably some mechanics you can exploit with that like Wild Magic.
>>
>>53516405
By not immediately jumping to the conclusion that all warlocks are edgelords who intentionally seek out demons so they can have the power to kill their highschool bullies abloobloo.

Seriously, just make a character with a realistic personality and figure out what sort of situation would result in them striking a deal with otherworldly forces.
>>
>>53516516
I'm aware of that, you utter weapon. Hence the question before framed around subverting the trope.
>>
>>53516414
yea um, i kinda lose my shield during battles...
>>
>>53516531
Name 3 situations that would lead to striking a deal with otherworldly forces that don't include "I need more power to do good" or "I need more power for revenge".
>>
>>53516184
Would it be a word if it wasn't from an activity needing one? Be a bro, you know this to be true.
>>
>>53516536
Don't call me a weapon, you defense tool. Either be edgy or not be edgy. I'd go with the latter if I were you.
>>
>>53516214
Shoulda made a lore wizard instead. Opportunity for fuckery like that only comes once in a blue moon.
>>
>>53516583
Christ Alive. Can you even read? Go back and read the post again. Just do it. See if you can work out the meaning behind it.

Fucking mong.
>>
>>53516450
>Pact of the Hexblade
>A sentient, magical spear recruited you to go out and prove that polearms are a great weapon by defeating the masters of other magical weapons in duels

>Undying Light Warlock
>You stared at the sun for too long
>>
>>53511368
Slaad or something like that are weak to slashing. That's it. Go bludgeoning to fuck skeletons up.
>>
>>53516520
The "ready" action specifically mentions that you cast the spell when you take the ready action, not when you take a reaction. You only cast it once, you simply withhold the effects until you use your reaction.

You're right that if you ready an attack action you take the attack action later, but it's different for spells as it specifically gives rules for readying a spell.
>>
>>53516536
>>53516583
>utter weapon
>defense tool
I can't help but imagine a bunch of sentient magic items and weapons shitposting each other in some PCs storage now.
>>
>>53516516
All edgelords like warlocks, but not all warlocks are edgelords. I've met several warlocks (okay, two) who weren't edgy in the slightest.
Neither were infernal pact warlocks, of course. The inclusion of fae and cthulu warlocks really helped the class become more varied in its roleplaying opportunities.
>>
>>53516372
I did you basic bitch and as far as I'm concerned that's the only opinion that ultimately matters.
>>
>>53516590
>lore wizard
Yes, but we sensibly banned that bullshit.
>>
>>53516565
There's "I want to impress a girl" and "I've been wandering in this forest for what feels like days and I'm really hungry and thirsty and I didn't know there was all this ceremony around hospitality and what's a feywild?"
>>
>>53516405
Multiclass it with Paladin and be Lawful Pragmatic.
>>
>>53516604
You asked how to make a warlock not edgy. I'm saying you can't. Anything satanic is edgy.
>>
>>53516668
The Warlock isn't entirely satanic.
>>
>>53515195
Half-Orc Monk grappling character who got into professional wrestling to escape his life of poverty. Ended up becoming a really good entertainer. Basically King from Tekken.

Cocky Dwarf Barbarian who engages confused turtle stance with his Turtle totem.

A really lazy necromancer that uses exclusively skeletons because he doesn't like the smell of rotting flesh as his minions clean up his abode. Will probably become a lich some day.
>>
>>53516565
>I need power for selfish reasons that aren't revenge or explicitly evil
>I wandered into an Archfey's demesne and they wouldn't let me go until I accepted a bargain with them
>I read too much forgotten lore and now I agree with the tentacled things beyond the stars, the yellow robed cultists DO need to die
>the Raven Queen has promised I will see my beloved again when my service is complete
I've got more.
>>
>>53516565
1. I want out of this jewel-filled cave
2. I want to have legs instead of a tail
3. I was fucking tricked, dammit

>>53516632
Britain is a magical place.
>>
Wouldn't a samurai that's on his own far away from japland technically be a ronin? Or is a ronin someone who never HAD a master?
>>
File: genji_by_jimbobox-daj4wdt.jpg (1000KB, 950x650px) Image search: [Google]
genji_by_jimbobox-daj4wdt.jpg
1000KB, 950x650px
>>53516409
>>53516477
Japanese screaming intensifies
>>
>>53516719
>samurai can't be traveling diplomats
commit sudoku
>>
>>53516680
>im not entirely religious but i practice enough to summon things from it
your logic
>>
>>53516703
>>I need power for selfish reasons that aren't revenge or explicitly evil
Could you possibly be vaguer? Also, selfish reasons are inherently edgy.

>>I read too much forgotten lore and now I agree with the tentacled things beyond the stars, the yellow robed cultists DO need to die
Do you even know what "not edgy" means?
>>
>>53516565
>"Spare me, and I'll work for you"
>>
>>53516719
Are you mentally retarded?
>>
>>53516719
Depends. He could be sent by his lord, and then he wouldn't be a ronin.
Ronin just means you are currently masterless. It's not even necessarily a permanent condition.

>>53516716
>>53516703
>>53516659
We all thought >>53516565 was being narrow-minded or baiting, but in reality he got people to post some pretty cool ideas.
>>
>>53516744
>strawman
This is your "logic".
>>
>>53516668
>fiend pact is the only warlock pact
>non-edgy alternative
>what is fae pact
it's basically a fairy druid.
>>
File: horror.png (224KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
horror.png
224KB, 720x400px
Some of my online friends who play WoW wanna try DnD.

Is there any homebrew WoW stuff you could recommend me to use to make them feel more at home?
>>
>I want an>>53516668
This is pretty much true honestly, even if your character's not particularly edgy, the class carries a certain theme and common tropes that will make most of the group think you're an edgelord.

>I'm a gambler who sold my soul
>I'm a guy who needed these Fiendish powers for revenge
>I'm an insane cultist lol

Those are the 3 I see nonstop and yes they;re all edgy characters in a group game. First and last aren't in certain other situations but they are here
>>
>>53516719
elaborate. tell us his circumstances with regards to a master. does he currently have one? if yes, then no, if no, then yes.
>>
>>53516744
>Fae warlock doesn't exist
>Far realm warlock doesn't exist

>>53516745
>Selfish reasons are inherently edgy
That's retarded, literally every action that doesn't benefit others is selfish. Eating breakfast is selfish. Treasure-hunting is selfish. Doesn't make those things edgy.

>Do you even know what "not edgy" means?
I get the feeling YOU don't.
>>
>>53516744
>thinking that saying "hey elf, wanna give me some magic" is satanic
>>
>>53516778
My advice is DONT.

Just play a game with the material from the PHB. If they like it, they like it. Don't pander to them with material that isn't a good example of what the game is actually like.
>>
>>53516809
>"I agree that people should be genocided"
>this is not edgy
Do yourself a favour and clip your nuts.
>>
>>53516778
Sorry, all I got it FFXIV
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/B1HBWX5j?dialog=true
>>
>>53515764
>using racials with negative modifiers

I replace that shit with a +1 to DEX & CHA + permanent pack tactics.
>>
>>53516836
>genocide
>the cult of hastur is a race
No, looks like you're still the one who doesn't know what words mean here, pal.
>>
>>53516881
>genocide refers only to a race
It's like you get off on humiliating yourself.
>>
>>53516797
basically
>his master was murdered
>he killed his murderer
>he wanted to commit jisatsu to be with his master and relieve himself of what he has done
>he cant do it
>he travels across the world as a nomad to find peace
>>
#NotAllCultistsOfHastur
>>
>>53516778
Bait answer: play 4e.
Non-bait answer: set your game in Azeroth. Creature a night elf subrace (or just reskin the wood elf), reskin half-orcs as orcs, reskin goliaths as tauren, etc.
Use race/class restrictions (i.e. only nelfs and tauren can be druids, only humans/dwarves can be paladins, etc.).
Heavily refluff bard until it's a shaman.
Create adventures with a Warcraft flavor, and in particular that involve factions.
All these off the top of my head, but I can keep going.

>>53516894
>"Genus" only means "race"
Well, actually...
>>
>>53516918
You. You I like.
>>
>>53516923
>words don't change meaning over time
Stop posting.
>>
>>53516923

I suppose I can just twist stuff from the PHB till it's WoW.

Thanks for the advice senpai.
>>
>>53516918
they wont be missed. start the gas chambers
>>
>>53516904
Technically a ronin, but might very well see himself as loyal to his dead lord. Might even take pride in his ronin status, because it means he hasn't sworn allegiance to anybody new.

>>53516957
>A madman attacking people based on their voluntary membership in a different group of madmen is genocide
The meaning hasn't changed THAT much. Virtually everything IRL called "genocide" is based on ethnicity. Yes, that includes Jews.
>>
>>53516904
he's a ronin, then. you're gonna need to do some thinking about whether or not he is disgraced though, because the feudal japanese code of honour is REALLY FUCKING STRICT. so if you're subscribing to that then the fact he didn't kill himself after avenging his master's death after failing to protect his master in the first place is in itself disgraceful. if he had sudoku'd then it would've been honourable but now there's no way to regain that, going by that line of thinking. the only thing that could regain his lost honour now is tracking down the root reason that someone killed his master in the first place, killing them, then killing himself, as a sort of "I was planning on it all along" type deal. If he's just doing introspection now though, then by the standards of bushido he is disgraced.
>>
>>53516995
But the gas chambers are only loaded with nitrous, sir.
>>
>>53516957
You'd have an argument if it was a casually used word, it's not though.

You're just a retard.
>>
>>53516778
That's literally the worst thing you could do. Are you assuming WoW has a hold of their tiny pea brains, and can't handle Troll not referring to hunchback rastafarians, or Goblins being wild savages instead of !Jews? All the more reason to let D&D be D&D and not WoW.
>>
>>53516668
You can form a pact with literally any powerful creature.

Take a pact with a celestial if you don't want to be an edgelord.

Take a pact with the servant of a god instead of the god himself.

There's plenty of choices. You're just staring directly at the fiend and cthulhu pacts and wondering why water is wet.
>>
>>53516778
Kill yourself.
>>
>>53517005
>admits the word doesn't mean what he said it means
>while arguing that it does
Baffling.

>>53517034
Ah yes because only conversational language is allowed to change.
>>
>>53516778
I don't really recommend it. But as some other anons were saying, your best bet would be heavily refluffing and setting it in a wow setting.
>>
File: ImagesCAY8UW7T.jpg (103KB, 730x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ImagesCAY8UW7T.jpg
103KB, 730x1000px
>>53517032
i hope they live their life one quarter mile at a time then
>>
>>53517076
Do you have any argument that the word's ever changed meaning aside from you being to stupid to pick up a book or google it before arguing that?
>>
>>53517037
Fuck off, warlocks are edgy and especially the people who play as them. Period.
>>
>>53517035
Goblins aren't !Jews. Jews, stereotypically, aren't free-market privateers, but shadowy manipulators.
Get your racist stereotypes right, senpai.

>>53517037
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByqnbHuhl
Shameless shilling of homebrew warlock pact.
>>
>>53517153

homebrewery never loads for me.

Does it have anti adblock or something?
>>
>>53510308
It's refreshing to see OP's pic in the general not be a sheboon for once.
>>
File: geno.png (5KB, 294x122px) Image search: [Google]
geno.png
5KB, 294x122px
>>53517123
>or google it
Now go ahead and show me that you don't know what "especially" means either.
>>
>>53517152
>REEEEEEEEE
>the post
Many such cases. Sad!
>>
>>53517123
Of course he doesn't, he's only still arguing because he hates losing to strangers in an Indonesian Shadow-Puppetry public forum.

>>53517152
>My group of friends can't play anything with more than two dimensions
>This means nobody else can either
>>
>>53516405
GOOlock who made a pact with some Flumphs. You just shared a sandwich with them, and they bestowed upon you strange and occult powers.

It wasn't even that good a sandwich.
>>
>>53517195
>quoting drumpf
go back to /pol/, asshat
>>
File: 1495050779636.jpg (1MB, 900x1411px) Image search: [Google]
1495050779636.jpg
1MB, 900x1411px
>>53516405

A Warlock is just a character with a pact to a higher power. That power doesn't have to be good/evil, could be tied to something specific like the sea/sky/nature (Feylock) or some other miscellaneous entity. If they have a pact with a light/dark deity, it could be turned on its head (support the god of life by being lawful evil and offering sacrifices a la the Aztecs, support the god of death by making people's passing easier via medicinal means, etc).

There are a million ways you can play it if you're creative enough.
>>
File: CelestialPatron.pdf (138KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
CelestialPatron.pdf
138KB, 1x1px
>>53517181
Not sure. Here's a direct PDF.
>>
File: 5egIsLiberal.png (40KB, 1005x863px) Image search: [Google]
5egIsLiberal.png
40KB, 1005x863px
>>53517183
Friendly reminder that racists are in the minority in this board.
>>
>>53517239
>that picture
is that what those gay new age wiccan weirdos think they look like?
>>
>>53517202
Warlock is the Shadow the Hedgehog of the classes.
>>
>>53517224
I love how the left hates Trump so much they are attacking safe spaces now, all he has to do is say his side needs them and the left will betray something they've been defending for so long.

I just wish both sides would pull their heads out of their asses and compromise a little more.
>>
>>53517152
Power Rangers are warlocks.
>>
>>53516668
Satanic?

What about the warlock is satanic?

You could argue that the Fiend patron is satanic, but an archfey is satanic? Are unspeakable, utterly baffling beings from beyond the cosmos satanic?

Is a fucking sentient weapon satanic?

Is the sun satanic?

You aren't too bright, are you? I recommend the Undying Light patron, to maybe fix that.
>>
>>53517269
What does racism have to do with conservatism or liberalism? Did you know that the most liberal social policies in America were adopted during periods of almost no immigration?
>>
>>53517269
>20 votes

Man it's just like those polls during the election, nice bait though I'll give it 4/10
>>
File: Cropping.png (16KB, 809x208px) Image search: [Google]
Cropping.png
16KB, 809x208px
>>53517191
>Selectively cropping online results to appear smarter
That's some primo debate dishonesty there, mate.

>>53517248
See >>53517269
>>
File: 1480150207258.png (503KB, 1311x1019px) Image search: [Google]
1480150207258.png
503KB, 1311x1019px
>>53517269
>there are no racist super liberals
>>
>>53517281
Power Rangers are Rangers in power suits ya mong.
>>
>>53517312
>racism is only white on black
>>
>>53517269
>20 votes
>and it's barely even more liberal
lmao
>>
>>53517281
BRB, homebrewing the Zordon Pact
>>
>>53517312
Hey look, you actually went and proved to me that you don't know what "especially" means. It's almost embarrassing being this right all the time.
>>
File: ArgumentAutomaticallyWon.jpg (80KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
ArgumentAutomaticallyWon.jpg
80KB, 500x517px
>>53517308
>20 votes
That's about half as many people as have posted in this thread. That counts as a pretty big fucking sample size bro.

>>53517307
>What does racism have to do with conservatism or liberalism
It's funny because I think you're serious
>>
>>53517330
But it's true. You wouldn't understand because you yourself are white, and I'm assuming not a liberal.
>>
>>53517152
My friend played a Dragonborn Warlock who wasn't edgy at all. He had a supply of bibles and was a comically overzealous zealot who wanted to spread the word of his diety Typhon, while being unaware of how destructive his diety of worship is.
>>
>>53517270

Probably, yeah. I don't have many warlock pictures and grabbed it from an inspo thread a while back.
>>
>>53517361
>liberal fails at basic math
20=/=83/2
>>
>>53517326
No, power rangers use special coins to adopt the powers of totem animals. Their suits are pretty low-tech.
They're either warlocks or totem barbs to be honest.

>>53517332
>11 is only slightly more than 8
>37.5% is a small increase
>>
>>53516836
>the cult of hastur is a large enough group of people to qualify as genocide when killed
>the cult of hastur is a homogenous enough group of people to qualify as genocide when killed
>the cult of hastur is humanoid enough to qualify as people
>>
>>53517390
You're right, I was looking at number of images instead of posters. But somehow making this into a math skill joke about liberalism is pretty damn laughable and groundless.

Oh hey, bump limit reached. Shitposting, gogogo!
>>
>>53517322
theres far more liberals than conservatives.
you can have one racist conservative and theres most likely gonna be two racist liberals for every racist conservative.
>>
>>53517400
>11 is only slightly more than 8
Yes. That is literally less than a handful.
>>
>>53517417
>all this backpedal
lmao
>>
>>53517371
>overzealous zealot
>unaware of how destructive his deity of worship is
smells like edgy to me :^)
>>
>>53517422
You fell for the bait
That's an out-of-context picture of a guy gesturing at something during a presentation

>>53517425
>Absolute numbers matter more than percentages
Would you like to know how I know that you are either an idiot or a bad shill?
>>
>>53517463
Okay, so maybe I should ask, what does edgy mean?

Not just in the context of D&D, but in general. Maybe I just don't know, or I'm wrong in what I think it is.

Please enlighten me?
>>
>>53517465
I wasn't even paying attention to your pic because it looked completely irrelevant to what you were arguing about. On top of that I was agreeing with what you said.
Are you alright anon?
>>
>>53517465
Correct. Watch this.

Doing a poll of racism on /tg/.

I vote racism is good.

Racism - 100%
Faggotry - 0%

Looks like us racists win. Look at that percentage domination.
>>
>>53517488
Edgy means whatever the user of the word disapproves of.
>>
>>53517326
>implying this isn't what 5 different flavors of Eldritch Blast looks like
>>
>>53517488
its what youre being right now
>>
>>53517527
tempted to make a warlock/ranger and dress him/draw him as a power ranger
itd break immersion but i can try to make it work
>>
>>53517514
Nice sample size of 1.
At least 21 is a reasonably large sample size (25% of this thread's overall posters - not bad).
1 is NEVER a sample.

>>53517527
>Implying they don't all have the Pact of the Blade
>>
>>53517574
>25% of a single thread on an entire board is "not bad"
Imagine being this delusional. I guarantee you're the chair shitposter.
>>
File: fedora cave.png (390KB, 1021x1102px) Image search: [Google]
fedora cave.png
390KB, 1021x1102px
>>53517488
dictionary definition within this context:
at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

Meme definition:
wears all black, wears fedoras, owns samurai swords. likely a mallninja shit afficionado, acts dark and brooding all the time. a subcategory of neckbeard, not all neckbeards are edgelords, but all edgelords are neckbeards.
>>
File: filthy degenerates.png (71KB, 482x428px) Image search: [Google]
filthy degenerates.png
71KB, 482x428px
>>53517514
I would take Racism over Faggotry any day.

The end result of Racism is "people living in separate places".

The end result of Faggotry is "unnatural degenerates spreading an incurable disease among your community."

It's a no-brainer.
>>
>>53517600
The chair shiposter?

Anyways, he already posted a smug anime girl, therefore conceding the argument. Move on people, the liberal has lost.

>>53517574
Blade Pact warlocks can still eldritch blast. How is he implying they aren't blade locks?
>>
How much of a faux-pas is it to play yourself in a game? I've got a nickname irl that is pretty wizard like and I always pretend I'm shooting spells while dancing/walking places so I want to be a wizard that is just straight me. What do /tg/?
>>
>>53517536
Pandering to a retard to try to diffuse a thread-long argument so people start talking about 5e, rather than something that was refuted almost immediately?

Well, I was certainly wrong about what I thought edgy was.

>>53517615
So, not warlocks, then?
>>
>>53517332
>implying I didn't vote Very Conservative just to be edgy
>>
>>53517698
It's fine as long as you do it subtly. Don't let people know you're doing it, otherwise you are going to have differences of opinion about how the character should be played, which results in awkwardness.
>>
File: disgust[1].jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust[1].jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>53517698
>I always pretend I'm shooting spells while dancing/walking places
>>
File: edgy hedgy.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
edgy hedgy.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>53517488
>>
>>53517600
>Conservatives mocking the only existing attempt at gathering actual observations while offering nothing themselves
Imagine that

>>53517685
>The end result of Racism is "people living in separate places"
Have you ever opened a history book? I'm asking honestly.
>>
>>53517685
>it's a no-brainer
In that believing it requires lacking a functioning brain, yes.
>>
>>53517738
Bruh, the history books in the states they're from say the world is 6,000 years old; whether or not they've opened one isn't the problem.
>>
Anons? Long story short, I'm trying to create more "openly fantastical" races for an Oriental Adventures setting, and I could really use a hand to balance out this racial trait. Any suggestions?

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.

* In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human.

* In your beast form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus. You retain your hit dice, hit points, and the ability to speak and cast spells in beast form.

* Kitsune turn into foxes, tanuki turn into tanuki (use the stats for raccoons), mujinas turn into badgers, bakeneko turn into cats, itachi turn into weasels, kawauso turn into otters, jorogumo turn into spiders.
>>
>>53517738
>Liberals doing a poll in their own little 20 man circle and proudly declaring themselves the winners
Imagine that

>>53517694
Chairfag is the retard who posts niggers in all the OPs to try to start arguments.

>>53517685
Just be racist and homophobic. ezpz.
>>
>>53517738
Technically, genocides are usually the result or racism and liberal policy.
>>
>>53517465
>>53517514
>>53517685
I'll never understand how anyone on /tg/ could be bluepilled.

Niggers are the same people who will flip your table, rip up your character sheet while screaming "SHIT NIGGA WUZZA d20 BOY Y U NO YOLO MAH NIGGA SHIIIIEEETTT?", step all over your Magic deck and take a dump over your Yugioh collection, etc. They're the same assholes who stole your gameboy in school and jumped you for wearing glasses. Niggers are the same "people" who rubbed some slutty whore's opinion over your face just for a quick lay. They're unloyal, driven by immediate lust, and can't think of anything outside of their cock in some bitch.

But people on /tg/ will defend them because saying "nigger" is wrong. No, they're wrong. Niggers are a blight on society and faggots, who ruin games by shining their faggotry and trying to be special snowflakes at every twist and turn, are almost as bad.

That said there are cool black people. Not all blacks are niggers; just most of them. There can be white and spanish niggers and they're a growing population as of late, thanks to demographic displacement. But I digress. My point is that it's less about "race" and more about culture and beliefs. Niggers have no convictions, no beliefs, no values, and constantly lead the society and culture they infest into degeneracy and swill.

You know what I'm saying to be true.
>>
>>53517787
>casters can do all their class shit as a fucking turtle or bird no problem
>martials which rely on hitting shit with swords can't strap their axe or bow to their fox body's back and kill suckers
It's shit.
>>
>>53517797
Are people really so fucking sensitive that a nigger being in the first picture of a /5e/ thread on a Zimbabwean Farming Co-Op board starts arguments?
>>
>>53517855
It's not the nigger that's the problem. Chairfag starts new threads with niggers in them like 6 pages early. Then he samefags the OP and starts arguing with himself until someone else will jump in.
>>
>>53517834
>posted from my iPhone 3 in Alma, WI
>>
>>53517797
>8/21 are conservatives
>Own little circle
You're only right if you define /5eg/ to be a liberal little circle. In which case I see no reason to argue.

>>53517834
Sure, but being "redpilled" usually involves hating minorities in general and whining about prosecution against whites, not accepting a nuanced worldview like the one you propose. And those people aren't welcome here, or frankly anywhere outside of their hugbox safespaces (/pol/, Trump rallies, etc.)
>>
>>53517875
I don't even own an iPhone lad.

Apple is shit.
>>
>>53517834
This is mostly a urban vs. rural thing. People of all races suck ass when they live in a city, but once you get out to the countryside, the culture changes, and everyone gets pretty friendly.
>>
File: 1455071243546.jpg (40KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
1455071243546.jpg
40KB, 500x294px
>>53517834
>>
So... legitimate question.

My group has a sort of romance gig going on, where two PCs are going at it whenever they get some privacy (aka whenever they are alone and off screen doing nothing else), and has begun considering pregnancy and the implications of it.

Since this is a rather fast paced campaign (the character knew each other for 2 in-game years, and have been together for 4 months now already), they will inevitably get to a point where the child is actually born.

How would you go about doing this?
>inb4 don't
Nobody thinks this is a problem in the group, but as the GM, I kinda feel like I need some outside advice on how to utilize this properly in terms of the plot. Cant exactly throw them up against Tiamat in this shape.
>>
>>53517855
>Are people really so fucking sensitive
Yes. Conservatives are masters of projection. When they say, "Liberals are easily-triggered snowflakes who need safe spaces," they really mean that they themselves are easily-triggered snowflakes in need of a safe space. Accuse your enemy of your own faults first so they can't use it against you.
>>
>>53517895
>now he's using 8/20 as an example of a large number to prove it wasn't a hugbox
>after using 8/20 as an example of a tiny number being outclassed entirely
LMAO
>>
>>53517906
Rural people sure do act nice until they vote against their own economic interests because of the immigrant bogeyman.
Then again, urbanites make pretty posts about immigrants but don't want them in their cities.
Really makes you think.
>>
>>53517726
What's wrong with having fun? I bet you don't even use your grocery cart as a scooter.

>>53517724
I mean I was literally going to use my Nickname and just say i'm doing what I think I would do as a wizard in this world.
>>
>>53517932
One or more of them is sterile. God did it.
>>
File: cooldoggo.jpg (70KB, 581x645px) Image search: [Google]
cooldoggo.jpg
70KB, 581x645px
Milestones or counting xp traditionally?
I wanted to use milestones in my upcoming campaign, because the usual way is a pain in the ass.

But how should I reward my players for finishing side quests then?
Magic items would be too much, gold feels boring and dull. And yes, I'm aware of the section in the DMG about different awards for players
>>
>>53517895
>>53517895
I'm not white.

I don't hate minorities because they are the majority where I live. I barely see white people anymore. I do have a strong disdain for niggers though.

They aren't welcome here according to who? You?

Also, I voted for Trump because Hillary was an abomination. I don't like the guy but anyone worth half a brain can see that the DNC screwed Bernie out of the nomination and favored Hillary while the media went full apeshit and supported her so greasily that you'd have to be a total mindnut zombie to go along with the government's agenda.

I don't consider myself a conservative but I sure as hell am not a liberal. You fucks are braindead in all fassets and blindly accept whatever your lord and savior CNN happens to type in the title of their news article that day contrary to all evidence and even the contents of the post itself.
>>
>>53517932
Never, ever, EVER use the baby as a victim plot hook. This will make the players never trust you enough to do cool things like this again.
Figure out how to take 4-5 months of downtime once pregnancy starts getting in the way. Then figure out which of them has parents that are still alive and can take care of the child, because adventurers can't have a baby with them.
If there's nowhere to drop off the baby for care, I'd advise against the whole thing.
>>
>>53517953
It's fine to not want immigrants in your country lowering the price of labor.

>>53517941
But liberals literally invented the term safe space. I'm not saying conservatives are innocent of course. But your transparent attempt to completely reverse the facts is just as illogical. Both sides have their thought bubbles.
>>
>>53517906
Yeah, but cityfolk are majority liberal and leftwing while countryfolk are majority conservative and rightwing. It basically devolves into that by virtue of the definitions.
>>
>>53517982

A mix of both. Milestones allow you to give XP for things like roleplaying well or avoiding conflict, which solve the same problems but aren't tied to a "monster=XP" chart.
>>
>>53517953
>tfw my city holds the largest population of a certain ethnicity outside of their home country after the government moved them here during a war
>all they did was raise property values by mainlining TLC or other home improvement networks and flipping houses
Hasn't been a problem. Good on 'em. Send all the immigrants here, I don't give a shit. We've got empty space after the white flight of the 90s.
>>
>>53517982
Calculated XP leads to hunting XP bags, and risking death for a game mechanic. Milestone lets the players play tactically, and consider going around the enemy when there's no story interest f or doing so.
>>
>>53517965
>I bet you don't even use your grocery cart as a scooter.
Surely no one is THAT much of a subhuman?
>>
>>53517970
One of them is a wizard.

They can avoid it. But they won't. And I see no problems in letting it happen.

I just need to know how to deal with in I terms of the available plots.
>>
>>53517982
Just because you're using milestones doesn't mean there isn't XP.

You say each level is 10 XP. An encounter or a sidequest might be worth 0.5-2 XP. The players never have to see these numbers, but it all adds up to them leveling up sooner.
>>
>>53517927
I don't like off topic discussions like this but the thread is dying anyway and everyone else kept shitposting about it so I threw my two cents in.

Have fun lads, take it easy.

See you in 72 hours for posting unpopular opinions, I guess?
>>
>>53517965
Yeah, what you're planning is a bad idea then. I hope you enjoy people mocking you behind your back for your inflated opinion of yourself, or passive aggressively hinting that no, you aren't that brave, or smart, or whatever attribute you ascribe to yourself.

Also, I don't use carts in the grocery store. That's a good way to spend more money than is necessary.
>>
>>53518017
Both sides use safespaces, and liberals may have come up with the term (if you consider Tumblr to be liberal; that's honestly debatable), but conservatives are the ones that mock safespaces whilst continuously seeking them out.

>>53518033
There are success stories and failure stories. At the end of the day government policies have a lot to do with how things turn out.

>>53518053
Wizards sometimes use polymorph. This is ill-advised during a pregnancy. D:
>>
>>53518085
Found the asshole who drops his box of pasta and soup cans all over the aisle, dinging them up and necessitating CLEAN UP IN AISLE SIX and wasting store product which increases the cost of goods for everyone else.
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (23KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1365812965578.jpg
23KB, 411x292px
So an 11th level Paladin with a Quarterstaff & Polearm master (assuming Duelling and 20 Str) does 1d6+1d8+7 on the two first hits and 1d4+1d8+7 on the polearm bonus action attack?

What if the Quarterstaff was +2, would he get the +2 dmg to the tip as well?

That's a lot of damage for someone with a shield, and I didn't even count any burnt spell slots for smite
But I wonder if it's ever worth it to use one of the bonus action spells that deal damage, will it ever catch up to a hit from the tip?
>>
>>53518004
I detest victim plots as well.

Unfortunately the characters are a Wizard and a barbarian. Neither of them has parents.

Hmm maybe introduce some really trustworthy and nice nobles who can help when the time comes. Or let the Rogue get his "Super Orphanage " up and running.
>>
>>53518085
>Also, I don't use carts in the grocery store. That's a good way to spend more money than is necessary.
If you don't have self control I guess.
>>
>>53518128
>What if the Quarterstaff was +2, would he get the +2 dmg to the tip as well?
Yes.

>That's a lot of damage for someone with a shield, and I didn't even count any burnt spell slots for smite
>But I wonder if it's ever worth it to use one of the bonus action spells that deal damage, will it ever catch up to a hit from the tip?
No.
>>
>>53518068
That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll consider doing it this way

Thank you, anon
>>
>>53518098
>Wizards sometimes use polymorph. This is ill-advised during a pregnancy. D:
Never uses it on herself.

It is very much the "stay back and manipulate everything from safety" playstyle. And in character she has begun taking care of what she does and what she eats and all that jazz - actually committed to it.

But considering that, the plots will probably have to be mostly social for the next couple of in-game months...
>>
>>53518128

PHB: pg 168

> When you take the attack action and attack with *only* a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon's damage die for this attack is 1d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>53517982
So, tell the players you're going to keep track of stuff, and tell them when they level up.

If they ask how you're doing it, just say it's milestones.

And then, like the other anon said, have them level up once they've finished X things, and forcing an enemy to retreat, or creatively avoiding a situation counts as finishing things too.
>>
How can I get into D&D and what would I need?

I've always been interested in D&D but never took any steps to actually get into it.
>>
>>53518282
The Player's Handbook tells you everything you need to know to make and play a character. It's in the Mega Trove in the OP.

After that, you just have to find a game. There's Roll20 or your local game store.
>>
>>53518258
Wow, I didn't know Jeremy Crawford posted here.
>>
>>53518128
>What if the Quarterstaff was +2, would he get the +2 dmg to the tip as well?
Why wouldn't he?

This isn't 3.5e, bonuses to damage are bonuses to damage, bonuses to AC are bonuses to AC. They specifically state that they do not stack, if they don't.

>But I wonder if it's ever worth it to use one of the bonus action spells that deal damage, will it ever catch up to a hit from the tip?
The ONLY reason you'd ever use those bonus action smite spells is for the extra effects, as the damage is never better than smiting with the class feature.

And the extra effects aren't really ever worth it, until the higher level ones. Even then, the damage might be better.
>>
>>53518117
Fuck that. I just get a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk every day, with a bread and cheese run every Sunday.
>>
>>53518143
Is the woman the wizard?

Figures, fucking whore only going for the buff guy.

She's smart, and she still does this.

If it's the other way around, regale me with tales so I can fap.
>>
>>53518333

Don't ask shitty questions then get mad when you're spoonfed the answer.
>>
>>53518352
>a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk every day
How many people is this for? I'm almost afraid to ask.

>>53518367
"I'm insecure about my physique," the post.
>>
After making an npc, I can't quite decide what his CR rating would be. Should I just run a quick fight against monsters found in the CR level he might end up in?

My issue is that he's a spellcaster, acting as a 12th level wizard. He has some good damage output in the form of disintegrate(1 cast) and two casts of cone of cold or higher level fireball/ice storm. Fights against many monsters at CR 8 or 9 (What I feel like he'd be in but I'm not sure) would end in either him destroying it quickly or just getting destroyed depending on how well the damage rolls are
>>
>>53518420

>a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk every day
>How many people is this for? I'm almost afraid to ask.

It's for the unconscious women he kidnaps to eat when they wake up.
>>
File: 1487349582630.png (2MB, 1060x810px) Image search: [Google]
1487349582630.png
2MB, 1060x810px
>>53518282
>How can I get into D&D
Having friends that already play D&D.
Failing this YOU must be the DM, and rope your friends into it.
Alternatively you play in a public place where either a homebrew (no connection to any official bullshit) game, or an Adventurer's League (a rules enforced official way to play that is looked down upon, but exists to make the game accessible) game.
And beyond that you can play online using Roll20.

>what would I need?
The PHB. If you are a NEET like me you can just download all the PDFs in the OP if you can reference it properly without clowning around for 5 minutes. The better you remember the book the less you need to bother referencing it.
You don't exactly need the Monster Manual, or the Dungeon Master's Guide, but it's more like you don't need them once you have mastered DMing, in 5e which you won't at the start.
The pre-made adventures are a style difference. A pre-made adventure tells you everything that will happen in an adventure, but if you wing things like me you can find sticking to the script to be more challenging.
The 'splat books', Volo's and SCAG are nice to have, but are more of a thing you use when you get bored of the PHB char options. Unearthed Arcana online test material is similar to this.
>>
>>53518318

Is purchasing the Starter Set worth it though if I intend to play at home with friends? Are there expansions for it? I'm also assuming that the hours you get out from playing depends on how long or how many campaigns or stories you play right?

Just looked up Roll20, it's cool that you can play virtually online with people around the world. Thanks for that.
>>
Anybody have the Touch of Class pdf from that kickstarter?
>>
>>53518367
I actually posted the story a short while ago.

Basically a group who have mostly kept it platonic (aside from the obvious bathing and changing and what-not, kind of difficult to avoid entirely through a long adventure.), where the Barbarian suddenly decided to do the wizard, consent or not.

Luckily for him, she didn't mind, and they kinda started going at it on a regular basis. The other two are occupied elsewhere (one has a lover in a town they frequent, and the other has a ... something-rather-undefined that is helping him set up an orphanage.), so the two singles sorta just hooked up becauae "why not".
>>
>>53518466
The Starter Set has virtually nothing that you won't get from other books. If you don't plan to DM, just get/download the PHB, which is where literally all the rules are.
If you want to find an online group, don't use roll20 because most people who look for groups on there are awful. Roll20 is a great tool but it's more common to find groups elsewhere (like www.reddit.com/r/lfg, for example).
>>
>>53518536
>>53518536
>>53518536
Fresh pan.
>>
>>53518420
>How many people is this for? I'm almost afraid to ask.

It's a /fit/ meme gotta eat big to get big
>>
>>53518512

Alright, I'll just download the the handbook before looking at finding groups to play.

The thing is, I'd like to play with people in person but I live in Asia so I don't know how big the community is here, let alone if there even is one that actually plays. I do have a couple of friends interested and others I could coax into playing though.
>>
>>53518367
>He hasn't internalized his self hatred and used it to fuel gains and become a walking being of pride and narcissism

Never gonna make it lad
>>
>>53518637
I'm afraid I know very little about the Asia community. But if you have friends willing to play it's never hard to find a group. :)
The question becomes who's willing to put in enough work to DM. I hear that using one of the starter modules (e.g. Lost Mines of Phandelver) can help DMs ease into the roll. You can find that as a PDF in the mega trove, too.
>>
>>53516565
My warlock had his dick-ass Great Great Great Great Grandfather sell the souls of every first born in his family to a Devil for massive political power. My guys personal quest is to Planeshift into hell and destroy his contract
>>
>>53516565
Isn't the Great Old One patron accidentally granting power to you? That's the only way I can think that you can get power from it without it being aware
>>
>>53518707

Thanks again for answering all these questions. I'll definitely look into the PDFs and try get some friends to play.

I'll lurk the thread occasionally and probably leave questions if I have more.
>>
>>53518967
Despite all evidence to the contrary, we're here to help. If you can ignore the political shitposting, people here do seem to actually like D&D.
Good luck!
>>
>>53518420
No, I know I'm fat, and I'm okay with it.

I was just trying to put it out into the universe that I really wanted this to be about a muscle girl fucking a scrawny wizard.
>>
>>53518996
My game had a muscle girl fucking a scrawny monk girl.
The muscle girl is now an emperor and the monk is her primary concubine/spymaster.
This sounded less weird in my head...
>>
>>53516565
Simple, no deal was struck.
>Magic ritual went wrong
>Fey gave you powers, because [Race] are fucking hilarious when you give them powers
>Stole an artifact that changed me forever
>>
Just modeled a demiplane-garden thingy for a player of mine. He told me he feels bad about the amount of work I do for the games just to see them fuck around for hours.
http://imgur.com/a/lXXs4
Car for scale only, they don't actually ride mustangs.
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.