[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ ~ 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 23

File: BS_Geist_Artwork3.png (952KB, 1146x1722px) Image search: [Google]
BS_Geist_Artwork3.png
952KB, 1146x1722px
What's your favorite kind of villain? Do you steal bosses from video games and other kinds of TTRPGs?
Also, teleportation spells do not blanket grant advantage to attack rolls by RAW.

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previous:
>>53276216
>>
>>53284005
Current villain I'm running is a just crazy enough degree of crazy to where he talks to the players like friends and sounds like he's from Australia otherwise known as a Grey Slaad from Limbo.
>>
>>53280789
Care to share?
>>
to the guy that asked I'm 30, why?
>>
>>53284031
Mate, that's racist, mate.
>>
Does Iymrith really not use a pseudonym when she's pretending to be a giant?
Kinda cocky
>>
Reminder that if you run a game where every orc or common brigand expects every adventurer to teleport behind them, you're a bad DM.
>>
>>53284005
>What's your favorite kind of villain?
Big, brutish bulldozers.

>>53284040
... no reason.
>>
File: 1279680685406.jpg (63KB, 443x600px) Image search: [Google]
1279680685406.jpg
63KB, 443x600px
Anybody tried out Mystic in an actual game yet? How is it?
>>
File: 1467928819118.png (123KB, 612x563px) Image search: [Google]
1467928819118.png
123KB, 612x563px
>>53284055
>a world where magic, wizards, and eldritch knights exist
>not expecting magic fuckery like teleportation in a fight
You're a bad DM if they're unprepared, senpai desu
>>
>>53284055
Reminder that just because someone doesn't expect people to do something doesn't mean advantage.

If a player decides to suddenly throw their greatsword would you give advantage? No one ever expects a greatsword to be thrown at them.
>>
>>53284005
Smart, tactical, manipulative, and flawed. My personal favorite type's of villains in fiction are the Luciferic ones.
>>
File: Slaad Crystal.png (219KB, 281x348px) Image search: [Google]
Slaad Crystal.png
219KB, 281x348px
>>53284047
Oi shut it, m8.
>>
>>53284081
Greatswords make poor projectiles so no.

In the real world, instantly disappearing and reappearing behind someone would literally give you an advantage. No reason not to apply the same thing to a game.
>>
>>53284074
One of my players is trying it on Saturday. I'll keep you posted. I've nerfed it a tad in advance to reduce the sheer versatility it gets.
>>
>>53284112
Not really, since everyone knows of the *teleports behind you* technique.
>>
>>53284112
I really didn't want to get sucked back into this shit, but what the hell. Falling 100 feet would literally kill you, but in the game it's just 10d6 damage. And besides, if someone I was squaring off against suddenly disappeared, behind me would be the first place I would check.
>>
>>53284112
True in real life teleporting would give you the advantage, but in the game giving that type of benefit quickly unbalances EVERYTHING. Sorcerers and Wizards become gods in combat, Horizon Walker's get advantage every single turn. Any magic item that gives teleportation abilities or anything you make that could do that at will can break everything.
>>
Anyone got any ideas for a theme for a dungeon? I've used up several themes already and I'm out of ideas and notes beyond maybe "¿psychological puzzles?"
>>
>>53284055
Wouldn't the not expecting be the reason you're getting an extra attack from it?

It's obvious that the amount of attacks a character makes per round isn't representing them doing nothing for the rest of it. People would be making more then 1 Sword swing per 6 seconds.

Each time you attack is representing you having a chance at landing a blow that either wounds or unbalances them enough to matter and weaken them. A higher level Fighter having the chance of making 4 actual strikes compared to others.

The shear fact someone's not expecting you to suddenly be there is an opening in their defence. Instead of reflecting that mechanically with Advantage on two strikes they're saying that you can surprise someone enough to get a third strike on them.
>>
>>53284058
Umm, here's my character. It's not done yet, but I rolled it with my DM today.

Half-Elf Barbarian Outlander
Athletics, Acrobatics, Stealth, Nature, Animal Handling and Survival

I traded most of his ability to read and write and his two extra languages for a bit of size, he ended up 6 feet and 230 lb

I started with a Glaive and 2 Handaxes.

going into way too much detail on his backstory currently.
>>
>>53284192
Sounds good, guy. Have fun.
>>
>>53284131

Wow, just straight out the gate huh? What did you change?
>>
>>53284178
Some poor noble bought an interplanar item (potion?) that gives him great lucid dreams.
Turns out he is shaping the astral plane to his desires, but the item wasn't supposed to be used cross planes, so things spill over while he's asleep.
The party must solve the dream dungeon and solve the crisis.
Bonus: Any treasure they find in the dream dungeon, is real enough to maintain itself in the material plane.
>>
>>53284192
everyone please make fun of me, the new guy and my faggot ass character.

but seriously. Maybe you guys can help. I want my half - elf to be from somewhere far from Faerun but he got magically transported there --which also saved him from the shit that killed his family.
>>
So everyone talks about Critical Role, the High Rollers, but what do people think of Dice Camera Action?
>>
>>53284146
>dinosaurs know about teleporting
>some retarded ogre with 8 int is going to figure out any kind of trick

Nah.

>>53284177
Sorcerers and Wizards already are. If you want to talk about balance Horizon Walker gets free 1d6 every turn from level 3.

>>53284180
Not necessarily since you have to target multiple enemies to proc the extra attack.

Horizon Walker as a whole is pretty unbalanced since there's nothing stopping them from being an impromptu Fighter and play keep away with Distant Strike+ranged shenanigans.
>>
>>53284213
Not him, the Mystic's only issue outside of some bad wording that makes the RAW a bit funky is Nomadic Mind's focus.

I personally turn it into Expertise in one skill your proficient in and leave the rest.
>>
>>53284213
I did some research here and across other forums, and many places said that there was a lot of work to be done on them, but the easiest fix was to reduce the number of disciplines available.

So I reduced the number of Disciplines he learnt at level 1 by one (from the Awakened Order).

I also banned Nomadic Mind because of the skillmonkey overshadowing issues.

I've also allowed him to play a Changeling though. Possibly a poor decision, but I doubt he'll complain about lack of abilities.
>>
>>53284224
What's your point?

>>53284234
>proc
Hatred intensifies.
>>
>>53284224
Is your character some poor NEET from Japan who is now in a medieval fantasy world with a new hidden power and tries to get the girls?
>>
>>53284243
I just want some suggested origin points for a half elf beyond faerun. Im going to read about them all too, but never bad to get more info and people opinions on it when you are playing in a pre-established world like forgotten realms
>>
>>53284281
I mean... literally anywhere. You come from a different universe. Greyhawk, Eberron, Darksun, and Dragonlance are all established settings in D&D, if that helps.
>>
>>53284281
And now that I've perused it what I would really want is a book like Sword Coast Adventures guide, but for the whole planet Toril, or as much as possible
>>
Who else thinks that Psionics should be one class focused on it and a couple of subclasses for other classes? Nomad as a Rogue, Immortal as a Fighter and etc. with a Mystic class that focuses on the pure psionic part?
>>
Any thoughts on Ranger/Barb multiclass? I'm a Ranger 4 already with Horde Breaker (non UA). Is Ranger 5 with everything else put into Barb the way to go?
>>
File: Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf (703KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf
703KB, 1x1px
Anon's high powered growing magic item Quest Continues!

>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ

Virtuous Calamity changes
>Dropped base form to +1 and awoken to +2.

Loreweaver changes
>Dropped the 1d6 thunder damage
>(Anyone have a better idea for a final form improvement instead of the dice size increase?)

>>53284234
I feel like your memeing me right now, you know the spell Hunter's Mark does the same thing right? The fact that you are allowing a class to have free advantage at will infinitely is quite strong, I would do everything in my power to play a Arcane Trickster, Nomad Mystic, or Horizon Walker for Crit fishing... Elven Accuraccy must be banned at your table right? Also yes Wizards are pretty much gods in combat already, but giving them auto advantage on spell attacks just for casting misty step... that's a big buff anon.
>>
I've been working on building archetypes (and a class, in one case) to create regional variants in my setting.

It's a pretty autistic endeavor, but it's been a fun thing to work on.

One I'm working on right now is a Shield and Spear kind of thing for Fighter. Any suggestions on some stuff to possibly give it?
>>
>>53284355
>The fact that you are allowing a class to have free advantage at will infinitely is quite strong

But I'm not.

>giving them auto advantage on spell attacks just for casting misty step.

Spells are completely different. They *might* get advantage if the spell lacks a vocal component.
>>
>>53284355
>giving them auto advantage on spell attacks just for casting misty step... that's a big buff anon.
Well, to be fair (though why I'm being fair to that mongoloid is beyond me) burning a 2nd level spell just for advantage isn't terribly OP
>>
>>53284377
Stuff to make spears compete with other weapons in damage
>>
>>53284398
That helps, anon, thanks.

Do you have any ideas on how you'd do that?
>>
>>53284355
Is it intentional that a critical hit from deceit makes the bad guy unable to target you, so you can keep stabbing them for free for a whole minute without worrying about breaking charm.
>>
>>53284398
The spear mastery feat already does this rather well.
>>
File: Drown.png (63KB, 789x196px) Image search: [Google]
Drown.png
63KB, 789x196px
>>53284407
Have a spear with three points. That would totally do more damage, right?.... right?
>>
>>53284377
I'd say one of two things, either something similar to the Knight except they get something similar to PAM's first ability or something like the Battlemaster but with some spear only maneuvers.

Either way allow the Spear Mastery feat.
>>
>>53284431
>something like the Battlemaster but with some spear only maneuvers
Interesting...
The Phalanx Soldier shall be created with this in mind.
>>
>>53284239

Just reading through it now, I noticed that several disciplines have abilities for letting you speak a language you don't know, except as a 2nd level ability you can telepathically communicate with anything that speaks a language of any kind. For free.

???
>>
>>53284355
>>53284417
To follow up, Distract & Deceit describes a "gain +1 (or whatever) bonus to attacks and damage".
Please actually clarify if it's a total +1, or do you actually add +1 on top of the +1 of the weapon.
>>
>>53284445
They can't speak back, so best you can do is speak to them. GOO Walocks have the same ability.
>>
>>53284445
The difference is speaking a language you don't know lets you understand them. The telepathy doesn't mean you can understand what they're saying.
>>
>>53284386
Okay, so It's at the DMs discretion to give advantage not just teleporting. That's better than just being able to teleport and gain it just cause I teleported thats why I said the Horizon Walker can do that infinitely as they can teleport without talking before every single attack.
>>53284396
I usually would agree but it also safely teleports you. It might not be the worse thing but I worry about balance for rules like that.
>>53284417
Huh, no that was not intentional, nice catch, frightened sound better?
>>53284453
On it!
>>
>>53284407
Maybe work it into a feature, or have at set levels it scale with the class, personally I'd go no higher than d10 one handed or d12 two handed.

>>53284421
Yeah and costs a feat to make it even compete with a longsword, awesome.

>>53284423
Poseidon, please go
>>
Anyone else really eager to try out Arcane Archer?
>>
>>53284498
So something like, "When you choose this archetype, you change the damage profile of a spear to d10 while wielding a shield in your other hand)?
>>
>>53284515
Yeah it seems fun, people can say what they want about the Arcane Shot only twice per rest but the fact it gets awesome at-will abilities appeals to me more then Battlemaster's "Use these abilities and then effectively have no sub-class".
>>
>>53284398
Poison. Venom.
Polearm Mastery
>>
File: Gar Shatterkeel (2).png (872KB, 559x749px) Image search: [Google]
Gar Shatterkeel (2).png
872KB, 559x749px
>>53284498
Poseidon ain't got shit on me.
>>
>>53284486
>frightened sound better?
The charm should expire on another attack against the bad guy, or...
I'd add a sanctuary-like effect between the wielder and the target, and keep the charisma check advantage.
See Undying Patron level 1 benefit for some of the wording.

I mean, it's supposed to be "Deceit".
>>
>Lets make a game with bounded accuracy
>Gives +2 accuracy to archery fighting style
???
>>
>>53284524
Could work, also could do it as at x level it becomes a d8, then at x level a d10.

>>53284543
>Poison. Venom
>Most have a laughable DC that aren't worth it

If I take polearm might aswell use something else that works with it.
>>
God I cannot figure out how to edit images for a PDF to make them look nice and "official".
>>
>>53284573
Your work will never be official
It's all shit
>>
>>53284573
Don't bother worrying about it too much, people here will hate it anyway.
>>
>>53284570
It's meant to be a counter balance to the penalty of cover and also because it's much harder to block an arrow then a weapon.

Also it's because melee weapons do more damage for most people.
>>
>>53284569
I like the expire on another attack one.
>>
>>53284584
>>53284587
Good thing it's just for my group then!
>>
>>53284589
But sharpshooter throws that whole cover problem out the window.
>>
>>53284603
Yep, the game wasn't balanced with the feats in mind and it shows.

Personally I remove the weapon feats and add on additional abilities and properties on all weapons to give more options and make fighting other then GWM and SS useful.
>>
If a player asked if they could dual wield a crowbar with a knife without taking the dual wielder feat, would you let them?

Arguments for:
>Crowbar would do 1d4 bludgeoning, same as the club, a light weapon which can be dual wielded without the feat. Should be allowable for harmless flavor.
>The arguments against are really nitpicky reasons

Arguments against
>The crowbar weighs 5 lbs., putting it out of the weight class of a "light" weapon. RAW, the dual wielder feat is necessary.
>Because a crowbar has a specific use as a tool outside of combat (Adv. on STR checks where it's used for leverage) it might be unfair to let it do double duty as a weapon
>>
>>53284619
Yeah, with how essential feats are to some classes I forget they are supposed to be optional.
>>
>>53284621
Yes. I'd allow it any day of the week. I would even let the Crowbar use finesse if it was a DEX character.

Really it comes down to "Will this ruin anyone's fun?". It's not going to mechanically overshadow anyone so go ahead.
>>
>>53284619
But sometimes it feels like the game was balanced with feats in mind considering its pretty hard to play a melee valor bard without warcaster
>>
>about to start a series of one-offs where we rotate DMs
>our base of operations is a boat and we're all parts of the crew
>gonna go on island adventures

I'm so fucking ready
Captain is a bard, got a barbarian for muscle, artificer as our engineer, air genasi in the crow's nest, and a warlock who made a deal with Davy Jones.
>>
>>53284665
I think feats were balanced with the game in mind. Or they tried to, at least.
>>
>>53284651
To play devils advocate here, if you don't allow the weapon feat the game balances much better. A Deadly encounter should be dropping one part member or at least an exhausting fight.

A GWM Fighter at level 5 has a good chance of dropping a young dragon to less then 25% HP in two by themselves when it should be Deadly. If you remove the weapon feat he stands no chance... Which is what it should be.

It's not an issue of the weapon feats being necessary so much as people generally don't do enough to hinder spellcasters. You should be throwing enough fights at the party in dungeons and etc. that saving spellslots becomes a real issue. I've played a few spellcasters and because we can rest every 3 or so fights I'm never under pressure.

>>53284665
Drop your weapon and pick it up as object interaction.
>>
>>53284669
>THERE ONCE WAS A MAN NAMED GOLD ROGER, WHO WAS KING OF THE PIRATES
>>
>>53284658
>I would even let the Crowbar use finesse if it was a DEX character.

I like your philosophy. This is just something I've felt needlessly hung up on, sometimes I feel like I'm too lenient or open-minded as both a player and a DM so a sanity check never hurts.

The player wants to make a Lawful Evil Barbarogue mob enforcer, basically, with the crowbar being just as good at breaking in doors as it is kneecaps. The kind of character that gets called in for "collections" and other graft work. The kind of character that enjoys nonchalantly pointing out how nice some possession of another character's is, and how big of a shame it would be if something were to happen to that possession, and how they oughta make the "wise purchase" of some "protection" so that nothing does happen to it. Certainly not the most original idea, but a fun one nonetheless, and I like how they pitched it.

>Evil Rogue PC
The player's made it clear that they're not gonna be the fucker who pickpockets everyone in the party for the lulz. They're Lawful Evil. It's more like they'll pickpocket anyone the party tells them too. And if they get caught, out comes the crowbar.
>>
>>53284530
You also basically have a free magical weapon in the form of a bow or crossbow which is pretty nice.
>>
>>53284737
Worth noting that because the arrows you fire are magic it stacks with magical bows.
>>
>>53284716
Even with weapon feats you can balance that encounter if you play the dragon more optimally as the DM.
If they're in what you would consider the lair then even a young dragon should be at a significant advantage. They shouldn't be landing next to the barbarian who has a giant fucking axe and sticking their neck out.
It might be a better idea to throw trash creatures at them, like waves of kobolds, while the dragon keeps its distance or waits until it can isolate a target to take it down.
That makes a fight much more intense when the party knows they have to stick together or get fucked. When the dragon is burrowing somewhere overhead and you're not sure where it will appear.
Is your ranger in the party pretty powerful with SS? Give the dragon lair lots of total cover so it can hide. If the ranger is keeping its distance have the dragon swoop in at him suddenly and take him out while the others are distracted.

Just some food for thought. It's never a good idea to just throw enemies at your players mindlessly.
>>
>>53284716
>Drop your weapon and pick it up as object interaction.
For some reason, I don't think this is how they wanted the battle magic feature to work
>>
>>53284733
You better fucking believe it.
>>
Okay 5eg, last question about my reroll. My team is Vengeance Paladin, Open Hand Monk, Arcane Trickster Rogue and a Knowledge Cleric. I am starting level 8 (since my character died), what is the right class to fill with here?
>>
>>53284766
True. It's very easy to fix an encounter on the fly if your party are completely stomping something that should be hard, it's basically one of the first things you pick up DMing.

Pure math out the books though GWM/SS can be much too good but in play it's not hard to fix. Besides we all know the one person you REALLY want around when fighting a powerful single target is the Monk.

>>53284767
Of course not, it's a silly thing that you can do though. The real trick for casting is to use you object interaction to put your sword away and then pull it out again next turn. Basically without Warcaster you give up OA's when you cast.
>>
>>53284791
Smart answer: whatever you want, that's the game.
Okay answer: Moon Druid? Or some other spellcaster
>>
>>53284569
>>53284592
Nope, nevermind I like the Sanctuary-like/Among The Dead one more it's more thematic and interesting to watch. Should it happen automatically on a crit or require a saving throw to start up?
>>
>>53284619
But in actual fact the game ends up being less balanced if you take out feats as martials become the caster's bitches.
>>
>>53284818
The problem is I want it all man. Everything is cool my dude
>>
>>53284791
Wolf barbarian/battlemaster fighter if you want non-caster or lore bard/wizard if you want caster.
>>
On one hand, I'm kinda proud. I just finished a Roll20 map for Scarlet Moon Hall (Princes of the Apocalypse). Complete with interior maps for each floor of the damn thing.

On the other hand, I feel kinda dumb for being so over prepared. Shit took me forever, and I probably could have just "theater of the mind"ed it
>>
Think reflavoring hand crossbows as flintlock pistols and allowing them to be simple weapons is fine? Might make them single shot, requiring an action to reload (bonus action if a thief rogue).

While keeping dmg pistols martial weapons as they're written.
>>
>>53284791
Bard, Sorcerer or Wizard.
>>
>>53284852
Why simple weapons?
>>
My team expects me to tank with only 14 Constitution

I took heavy armor master to help reduce some early game damage, Parry as a maneuver, and obviously I have second wind.

But I'm still getting half my hitpoints carved away in a single round. Obviously I need to dump into charisma, but I also need to grab Sentinel ASAP to tank more effectively. Which one do I grab first? Help
>>
>>53284822
The answer to that isn't "Buff martials with Greatswords and Bows", it's "Do something to weaken the power of casters". It's nonstop spouted but you can only longrest once per 24 hours, just gotta make sure you enforce that.

Also it's not that hard to actually follow the recommended encounter guidelines which makes at-will abilities much better.
>>
>>53284005
Geist the Bloody was a great character, but I was surprised at how the game tried to humanize him.
>>
>>53284848
>>53284856
Danke friends. Now to figure out if I wanna be abj or div wizard (or bard, but i feel like id cuck the paladin if I take his high level spells with magical secrets and ive heard they are the best ones)
>>
>>53284865
Constitution*
I don't know why I typed charisma.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1593x808px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1593x808px
>>53284850
Forgot picture.

>Will my players thank me?
>>
>>53284866
It's hard to restrict casters in a meaningful way by rests other than throwing lots of enemies at the party everyday, which only really works in a extra-dangerous place such as a dungeon.

I'm more with what the anon I replied to said, I'm usually for 'Remove weapon feats, let players apply parts of weapon feats to weapons for free'

>>53284889
There are always other valid choices for magical secrets. Main concerns are that your wizard skills might overlap with knowledge cleric's and bard skills might overlap with rogue's being good at skills, but honestly in the wizard case skill overlap shouldn't be a problem anyway so don't worry about that.

I'd say divination wizard and use it for team support.
>>
>>53284897
>Will my players thank me?
No.
>>
>>53284864
Access reasons, basically. Also because they're single shot devices they won't be used that often. Low range as well bc they won't be accurate past 30 feat.
>>
>>53284921
Thought so...

>>53284931
They aren't really "simple" though, are they?
>>
>>53284112
Because people can't teleport in real life. Dummy.

>be warlord of the blue hills tribe
>ambush group of rich adventurers
>one of them teleports
Option one: he ran away from the fight (and left his friends behind)
Option two: he is trying to gain a tactical position (such as behind you)
Notice that option two is far more likely.
>>
>>53284865
Heavy armor master is kind of a waste to be honest, famalam. Diminishing returns. That is, unless you don't plan to see higher levels.
Putting more into con would have been better, or taking sentinel instead.
Shit, even taking tough would have helped you a lot more in the long run.
>>
>>53284941
It's okay anon.
Players never appreciate shit.
I made a whole fucking class for a player and he never even said thanks.
FUCK YOU JOSH.
>>
>>53284954
Thanks, man.
And even though I don't know you, FUCK YOU JOSH!
>>
>>53284952
>Heavy armor master is kind of a waste to be honest, famalam. Diminishing returns. That is, unless you don't plan to see higher levels.
Except most creatures scale through multiattack and nearly every creature deals S/B/P damage in some way. Even at high levels it can be saving you 3-9 damage per round against a just a single target which adds up over the day. If he's the main melee guy chances are much more.
>>
>>53284941
Simple to use, point and pull the trigger. Harder to load, which is why it would take an action.
Looking at it from the standpoint of simple the same way a light crossbow is simple (but is two handed).

Also being that flintlocks were used quite often by duelists it opens them up to be used by rogues, bards, and other classes that don't get martial weapon proficiency.

Now, I could just make an exception and give certain classes proficiency with them. But I feel like more choice is more fun, and so long as it doesn't break anything it should be fine.
Likely a single use item per encounter is fine right? Might not even get used in most encounters. But might be a fun roleplay tool for any gun stand offs and a bit of flair.
>>
Making a dungeon crawl based around illusions.

There are visible traps like swinging blades, spikes, arrows, but any that appear in steel are completely illusory and will deal no damage, while any that appear shadowy and dark are real.

It'll also include the old Indiana Jones "walk out over the abyss" deal and a room where it's a flashback to one of the character's backstories, except they have to fight from the opposing side and (in theory) don't realise they're killing illusions of their friends and allies until it's done.

What else can I put into my dungeon of mind-fuckery that fits the style?
>>
>>53284981
It might, it just kind of depends.
Personally being a larger sack of HP is better in my opinion because once your AC is large enough that you're tanking lots of hits just by avoiding them, the things you want to worry about aren't SBP damage. And again, if the attacks are magical it doesn't even matter.
If there's a healer and you're able to take short rests having higher hit point max means a bigger sack of HP they have to cut through.

If you're actually saving the 3-9 hp a round, which is ideal, then it can be a good thing. It just seems to be quite irrelevant the higher you go.
>>
I'm trying to DM a game with only two players, one is a warlock and the other a rogue. The warlock naturally will always stay at range and away from enemies, which means the rogue is almost never able to use his sneak dice. Any ideas on fixing this?
I'm thinking to just give the rogue the weakest Bag of Tricks so he can always have an ally nearby.
>>
>>53285042
What level are they at? Swashbucklers get sneak attack without allies being nearby.
>>
>>53285027
I'd only say it becomes worse then HP at levels 14+ and even then it's decent. Personally I think if you're a heavy armour character it's good as long as you're starting at levels 1-4. It's more useful for a very long time.

Really only Fighters and maybe Paladins who aren't using PAM+GWM should pick it up though.
>>
>>53285042
Give the rogue a pet, like a wolf or something. Counts towards sneak attack and gives them someone/thing to interact with other than each other.
>>
>>53285059
I guess you're right, though I would say fighters much more so than paladins. Since they have the ASI to blow.
>>
Basically it was my first time playing and I didn't really know what I was doing when I made my character so now I'm a Battlemaster Fighter with Protection fighting style and Heavy Armor Master. Protection is kinda meh and I wish I took Sentinel instead but I didn't so now if I want it I need to spend my level 4 feat on it. But I also desperately need more health since I only have 31, so I need to decide on Constitution or Sentinel for level 4
>>
>>53285102
Protection isn't the worst thing, but it's not the most optimal. But who cares.
Still, because you already have a reaction ability with protection then you might as well pump con instead of taking sentinel.
If you're making enemies roll with disadv against your party members, then you're still tanking pretty well. Sentinel will just help you be more of a threat because of increased dps.
>>
>>53285102
31Hp at level 4? Do you only have 12 Con? 14 is generally a much better number for melee guys to start with.

Also please tell me you didn't roll for Health.
>>
>>53285134
If the DM is smart Sentinel makes him a better tank if only for the fact that the enemies won't want to keep attacking somebody who isn't him if they take damage every time

Sentinel is basically giving your tank a big stick to whack enemies with if they misbehave and attack anyone who isn't the tank
>>
>>53285151
>Also please tell me you didn't roll for Health.
First game I played I was a necromancer wizard and our DM made us roll for health after the first level.

I rolled 1 both times.
My con was 9
>>
>>53285151
I'm currently level 3, I will reach 4 soon. I have 14 con
>>
>>53285156
Right, that's what I meant by the threat thing.
Since there's no real "threat" mechanic in 5e I guess I should have clarified.

I just wanted to let them know that since they've already got something to use their reaction slot, going for that extra con isn't a bad idea for level 4.
Of course, I don't know the rest of the party make-up.
>>
>>53285171
Oh thank god, your HP is alright then for now. I'd go either Sentinel or Heavy Armour Master.
>>
>>53285151
14 con is a good number for anyone to have desu.

My sorcerer has 20 con and the tough feat.
>>
>>53285170
>both times
I take it you died at level 3
>>
>>53285102
Ask if you get sentinel if you can choose a new fighting style.
Your DM's honestly shit if they don't allow it.
>>
>>53285170
>Less health than a goblin at level 3
>>
>>53285305
>>53285221
Yeah, he died before he ever raised anyone as a zombie. I'm not sure, it might be some kind of irony.
>>
Will this break anything on a devotion pally?

>Blessing of Torm
When you use an exclusive ability granted by the paladin class or by a sacred oath that requires an action, you can choose to use it as a bonus action. This includes:
>Divine Sense
>Lay On Hands
>Channel Divinity
>Cleansing Touch

Additionally, you gain a second use of Channel Divinity, and the following option to use it with:
>Heroic Rescue.
You can bring retribution to a creature that attempts to kill one of your allies, and by doing so, reinvigorate them back to consciousness. If you see an enemy within 30 feet reduce an ally to 0 HP, you can use your reaction to move to that enemy by the shortest route possible and make one melee attack against it. That ally immediately regains a number of hit points equal to your Charisma modifier plus 1d12 for each opportunity attack you provoke while moving to the enemy.
>>
Gestalt in 5e seems like it would be chaos.
>>
>>53285487
I remember you from another thread.

Since this is a boon, I'd say it looks good. Obviously it's super strong, but hell, an extra Channel Divinity isn't gonna be the end of the world on a Devotion pally, since they most likely use it on Sacred Weapon.

The only thing I can think of is making the Lay on Hands Bonus Action have a cap to stop someone from dumping 50 hp into a dude on a whim.
>>
>>53285504
Not really. You don't even have to make the "use better of two" rules because all advancement is tied to the proficiency score, except maybe for casting (in which case it's probably best to handle each side's casting as its own).
>>
>>53285487
It:
1. Turns them into the strongest battle healer in the entire game, maybe on par with life-cleric-bard-vitality-aura but they serve slightly different purposes (Resource-based and stronger heal AoE versus practically infinite heals)
2. Their channel divinity for +hit chance is much stronger, but eh, not as strong as super-healer-powers.
3. Heroic rescue is just the 'Uhh, yeah, sorry, I'm using my bonus action and doing some shit next turn so I don't feel like healing you then, so I'll just heal you now, okay?'
>>
>>53285676
>>53285487
I mean, to explain:
>They can get allies up as a bonus action [Levelx5] times every long rest
and
>+Cha to hit for a minute as a bonus action is much better than healing an ally when you can do it as a bonus action anyway, but sometimes heroic rescue might be useful

Also kind of interesting because if they use something like the 'dodge' action the turn before provoking opportunity attacks is a lot less dangerous since they'll have disadvantage to hit.

So, basically: This is fine, as long as there isn't another healer in the group.
>>
>tfw you get with 5e.
Where did it all go wrong?
>>
>>53285743
?
>>
>>53285758
Where did 5e go wrong?
Why is it boring?
>>
>>53285790
I like it
>>
Do you think wotc will manage to break something when they do release PHB2, to the level of nuclear druids, or do you think they will foresee anything abusable to that scale?
I've never really played an edition from the start, so I don't really know how much of an impact new stuff like that normally has on balance
>>
>>53285790

Boring is subjective?

Explain why its boring to you.
>>
>>53285802
Nuclear druid is a myth
>>
>>53285790
It's not. In fact I think it's pretty good.
>>
>>53285802
It really just depends on how much they listen to feedback on the UAs. I'm hoping they listen a lot and they do a lot of play testing.

For me though d&d is not and has never been about the combat despite there being so many rules regarding it. Combat has always just been part of what helps drive the story from time to time, or is a natural consequence that needs resolving. So even if they "break" something, it won't have much impact on the games I run and participate in.
>>
File: 1368030.jpg (20KB, 1080x428px) Image search: [Google]
1368030.jpg
20KB, 1080x428px
>Wanna do something cool with Spears
>DM barely allows feats, and as such, does not allow UA feats, regardless of whether they are good, bad, balanced, whatever
>Thats fine, but Spears are terrible
>DM buffed the Trident, but thats ok
>Look through the martial weapons list
>Notice that the Halberd and Glaive aren't bad alternatives
>Lance, think maybe I can flavor it for a non-horseback variety
>Pike
>Oh shit yeah, Pike, there we go-
>18lbs

What the fuck...

Which begs the question, how big must this fucking thing BE that its more then twice the weight of any other polearm? I guess its because the goddamn thing is, based off its historical account, almost 20ft long.

Why would anyone, ever, as an Adventurer, use a Pike? Where would you put it?
>be former mercenary free piker
>turn to adventuring because the rewards are better
>got my pike and some armor, and a buncha knicknacks
>decide to go into the local tavern to have a brew and maybe find some other adventurers that need a ruggedly handsome mercenary to kill things for them
>pike too big to fit in the door
>too long to take inside, tavern owner starts bitching at me
>sigh, set it against the wall outside
>come back later, some arsehole stole it
>guards don't give a shit
>>
>>53285800
>>53285806
>>53285823
What is it about the system that you like or what you think is good about the system?
>>
File: 1494964079229.jpg (281KB, 1014x988px) Image search: [Google]
1494964079229.jpg
281KB, 1014x988px
>>53284254
>>53284224
be sure to give him super cool special attacks
>>
>>53285879
It's straight-forward and doesn't have all the relentless number grinding of Pathfinder and some previous editions.

There's no real caster supremacy, just caster versatility and AoE.

The flavour for most classes is pretty decent, and most are fairly well-balanced.
>>
>>53285879
It's simple enough that if you're a competent DM your games can be really fun since it leaves so much up to the DM. Some people might consider it a flaw, but I like that.

Also, the base mechanics are easy to teach new players. Having simple mechanics also means we can spend more time roleplaying and less time dealing with numbers.

And I don't think it's fair to say it's dumbed-down because it has simple mechanics. There's still tons of variety with what you can do despite the simple design of the system.

It's easy to identify where they went wrong with how they expect people to play vs how people actually play when it comes to certain classes and abilities though. But, again, because it's quite simple mechanically, it's very easy to house-rule if you ever have a problem in your game.

I also like the advantage/disadvantage mechanic. It's quite, easy, makes sense, applicable. Rewarding players with advantage for clever roleplaying is good encouragement as well.
>>
>>53285524
I'm also doing this to incentive the pally using their Channel Divinity. So far it was only used maybe 2 times in about 4 or 5 months. Plus it's something they'll get only around level 11

>>53285676
>>53285696
Yeah I know all of that is really strong, but as long as it doesn't break things too much it should be alright. They are indeed the main healer, though there's also a ranger and a wizard/cleric 1, both with cure wounds.

I felt like Heroic Rescue could make some great cinematic scenes, by actually it's funny how many different reactions they can use (Protection fighting style, Shield Master "evasion", plus Absorb Elements from a magic item).

I feel like the only thing I could add is that you can only use each channel divinity option once per short rest, though they'll have two uses. Just to avoid 2 consecutive battles with Sacred Weapon on.
>>
>>53285802
The good thing about this edition is that because of AL games, they'll fix it. Let's say Nuclear Druid was printed on paper, within 3 days they'll errata it to "Only Druid spells".

These days it's easier to patch a D&D issue then it is to patch a Video Game issue. They only need to sent out a one sentence tweet and fix the next printing.
>>
>>53286063
But AL games are abominable.
>>
>>53285862
They're cheap, if you use starting gold instead of equipment then it's the best Polearm to pick up.

Also 18lbs. is nothing for a Strength user.

>>53286073
They're fucking awful, still it means they actually have to fix broken as shit things.
>>
>>53286084

Its not really that weight is the issue, but size.

Something like that is really cumbersome to pack around for an adventurer who carries all his gear on his back
>>
>>53284423
>That would totally do more damage, right?.... right?

No but i'd give it an x3 crit modifier

1d8 piercing x3
>>
>>53286109
Well considering I don't think it has an actual size listed in it's description in game you could say it's a small pike.

Still big, but not 20ft big. Make it like 9-10ft.
>>
How big should a dungeon be to be a decent-sized, enjoyable experience?

I'm currently between 7-10 rooms/puzzles/encounters on my selection, but I don't know if it's enough. How much stuff does an average dungeon have?
>>
>>53285879
Not the guy who you're replying to but things are less likely to get boring or obtuse like in Pathfinder, the other edition I have a good amount of experience with.

If you like doing a lot of calculations and stuff, and you have a steady group of competent players you regularly play with other editions may be better, but if you get a new player every now and then it's so much easier to introduce them to 5e.

I also like the classes quite a bit. There's a lot of flavor to them, and the different archetypes really allow you to choose custom builds suitable for your play style. Classes felt more specialized in Pathfinder, you have a dozen very samey archetypes to choose from and this gets intimidating for new players. Here you have fewer choices but it feels like they offer the same amount of variety.

Like, say you're playing a Fighter. What kind of Fighter are you playing? A straight-up brute who gets lots of crits but doesn't really do much except hit things very hard? Do you take a strategic approach, adapting the flow of battle to gain advantage or protect your allies? Or maybe you want to cast a few spells? The three Fighter archetypes give you these options, and the feats allow you to specialize your weapon types or fighting styles or whatever. And if you really want to, you can always multiclass for some more freedom.

In Pathfinder, on the other hand, you have to choose from a list of, what, 40+ Fighter archetypes and then browse through the Feats to find an appropriate build for him? That's not fun for most people, and most of the archetypes are also so specialized that they're only appropriate for very specific types of characters. In 5e you have more freedom in sort of crafting your own story about why your Fighter fights the way he does. It feels more roleplaying-appropriate rather than playing a video game, but that's just personal opinion I guess.
>>
To buff up the Half-Dragon in the HotDQ I made a Wood Elf Fighter as a PC with the PHB then applied Half-Dragon Template from the MM.

Did I fuck up?
>>
Any reason the megatrove isnt working with firefox?

It just seems to be refreshing itself over and over again.

Works for me using Chrome but I dont like Chrome.
>>
>>53286839
Have you tried making mustard gas?
>>
>>53284954
My players always recogize my efforts and thank me, and they notice when I do extra effort.
But well, we're a group of GM
>>
>>53286872
Don't, this makes mustard gas.
>>
>>53286544
>>53285915
>>53285946
Just wished you could play higher powered games in this system. But there's always the idea of removing the three item attunement limit and giving the characters items for all available slots, like how they did it in previous editions.
>>
>>53286885
No, it explodes in your hand.
>>
>>53286896
Epic boons are one, if you wanted a high power game I'd let players start getting one every now and then past level 10. Maybe so they have 3-4 at level 20 and then you can keep going.

Someone should homebrew another 5-10 levels for each class though. Fighter, Rogue and spellcasters would be easy-ish. Monk, Ranger and new spells would be the hardest though.
>>
>>53286907
No, it turns your mustard into ketchup.
>>
>>53286927
No, it turns your mustard into spiders.
>>
>>53286948
Lolth is pleased.
>>
>>53286872

mustard is disgusting
>>
>>53286805
Yes
>>
I made a map for part of the major city in the area my players will be visiting.

I wrote up some basic guidelines for what the shops do and stock, but I just took another look at it and realised I've got a building just labelled "Duck's".

I have no idea what I meant by that or what it was for. Anyone got any suggestions for what I could do with it?

"Tavern" is easy mode
>>
>>53286805
a few questions:
Why were you trying to buff it up?
What were you trying to accomplish with the buff?
And why would you need to remake the whole damn thing instead of throwing a +1 or extra power in the premade monster?

So, yes, you fucked up.
>>
>>53287109
whole building just full of ducks, just ducking around. No context whatsoever.

Your players will probably turn that building into the entire campaign trying to figure it out.
>>
>>53285887
what's this?
>>
>>53286805
Which Half-Dragon? If it's Langderosa, you fucked up. If it's Rezmir, you probably fucked up even more. PC's do pretty high damage.
>>
>>53287109
weapon enchantment store run by a half-duck half-man
>>
>>53287109
Having pet ducks is very in for the upper class of the city so its a duck dealer.
>>
>>53287109
The Duck gang, kidnaps fair women out for strolls and demands exorbitant ransoms from their fathers, they do this while quacking like ducks because that's an unintentional side effect of the mind control spell the wizard cast on them.

That's the plot twist, the duck gang is funding an evil wizzers attempts to become a lich via mind control.
>>
If I have a warlock as a villian, how many levels higher would he have to be than a party of 3-4 players to be a challenging boss fight? Is giving him some legendary actions a good idea?
>>
>>53287205
of course, there is a rival power using masked gnolls trying to steal the duck's vast wealth
>>
>>53287128
>>53287162
>>53287205
>>53287544

All of these are fantastic. I'm tempted to combine the lot of them and have a shop filled with ducks, one of whom has mutated into a half-man selling weapons enchantment. It's all a front for a gang of kidnappers.
>>
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?4121-EN5ider-146-Cosmic-Syzygy

Patreon is gay but I like the idea of cosmic sorcerers. Is Enworld cool? I don't want to support someone shitty, even if it's just a dollar.
>>
And it looks like we're back online.

>>53284767
Maybe you could flourish your weapon into the air, cast your spell, and then catch it. That bardy enough for you?
>>53284808
>Basically without Warcaster you give up OA's when you cast.
But then this is the worst case scenario. It's not real important, and you can technically still make OAs unarmed, they're just unarmed, which are going to be weak and/or useless for you.
>>
>Ranged Eldritch Knight
>Archery style (obviously)
>Non-Variant Human (to be honest at this point "normal" human might as well be the Variant)
>Point Buy (After racials)-
>14, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10
>Magic Initiate (Wiz) or Ritual Caster at 4
>ASI (DEX) at 6 and 8

Seem pretty decent?
>>
>>53285027
Tough is not a good feat. It's fine if it was free, but it doesn't quite stack up to +2 Con most of the time. HAM at least still gives +1 str and can also give more toughness than Tough, since it only takes two hits to match it at level 3. At worst, it takes 13 hits at level 20, where a fighter easily has 200 HP. Add in hit dice, second wind, and whatever bullshit your casters and magic items can give you, and tough is shit compared to HAM.
>>
What's the best way to handle an illusion where the party see each other as monsters, and the idea is they accidentally attack each other? Should they know OOC? Is there a way to maintain the illusion for the players as well as the characters?
>>
>>53287756
>Human (Stensia) Bear Barbarian
(+2 HP per level)
>Tough at 4
>ASI (CON) at 8 and 12

That's the biggest meathead I can think of, though EK is probably better overall as a tank since they get their ASIs quicker and can get Shield for more effective tanking.
>>
>>53287760
The players are sitting in a lobby with [number of players] doors leading to different directions. Somehow force them all to take a separate door. By magic fuckery, they all end up in the same room with their illusions, though you only tell them;
>As each of you steps through your door, you each find yourselves in a room accompanied by [# of players -1] monsters. The doors slam shut and lock themselves behind every one of you.
>>
Hey guys, first time DM here and my players don't have a Thief.

Is this going to be a problem? Should I just not throw traps at them?

Sorry for the dumb question, we're all quite new to this.
>>
>>53287854
You can throw traps at them just make it so they can either be solved like insert square peg into round hole, or have a way that if they activate it from a distance it doesn't just fuck them over.
>>
>>53287578
>Is Enworld cool?
Their homebrew is frequently trash. I haven't seen one good enough to put trust into one of their products without seeing it first.

Actually, I haven't seen one of theirs that's good. Anybody else?
>>
I remember reading alternate rules for the Battle Master's Superiority Dice where instead of the normal progression, it becomes a constant and progresses more like the Monk's Unarmed damage or the Rogue's Sneak Attack. I thought it was in the DM's guide, but the closest thing I can find is the Variant Proficiency Dice rules. Am I crazy, or is this a thing?

I think I like it better than it being a limited resource.
>>
>>53284112
Appearing behind/next to your enemy would give you advantage, but teleporting is disorientating and would put you at a momentary disadvantage. Advantage and disadvantage cancel each other out, so it's a normal attack roll.
>>
>Human (Nephalia)
>+4 skills
>Rogue
>+4 skills
>Skilled at 4
>+3 skills
>Prodigy at 8
>+1 skill
>Cleric (Arcana) 1
>+2 skills
>Mystic (Nomad)
>+2 skills (Assuming 0 from the multiclass)
>Mystic (Nomad), Nomadic Mind

>You have Proficiency with every single skill but one (And can get it by changing focus on Nomadic Mind)
>At level 13 with Reliable Talent you basically can't fail any skill check with a 15 or lower DC

of course Bard 2/Rogue 11 does the same thing without going full retard
>>
Can you make a small race animal-rider out of the revised beast ranger? I'm curious if I'm missing a rule saying you can't ride the animal or something.
>>
>>53288018
Yes, and a Kobold with a Wolf has perma-advantage.
>>
>>53288018
It works
>>
>>53288018
Yes and you can dual wield Lances with Two Weapon Fighting and Dual Wielder.
>>
Herp
>>
>>53288032
>>53288037
Thanks!
>>53288104
That is mental, haha
>>
>>53284055
>magic and teleportation are widely known things
>but people shouldn't expect people to do them

Maybe the first time they see it used, they might be surprised, but even if the enemy sees people running around in wizard-y clothes, they should be expecting all sorts of fuckery.
>>
>>53288251
>Run around in wizard clothes
>Never cast spells just act like an idiot and talk about myself in the third person
>Every now and then slap the shit out of some fools

Could be a fun character for a session or two.
>>
>>53288284
>mumble and say weird, arcane sounding words, immediately followed up by throwing handfuls of dust, daggers, thunderstones, etc.
>>
How good is the Fell-Handed Feat in practice?
>>
>>53287899
Fuck it, I'll grab it and find out myself
>>
You all probably get this alot, but i'm looking at creating a somewhat western+magic themed setting, including guns. This is kind of a first draft thing for rules for them, but what do you think?
Yeah, they are really strong but the price will be somewhat of a hinderance and lethality will probably be on a higher level in a campaign like this.
>>
>>53288383
Won't let me post the image, oh well here's what I had written:

Reload = action

Revolver: 1d8, reload 6 30/120 ft
Ammo: 5sp

Rifle: 2d6, reload 6 80/320
Ammo 10 sp

Shotgun, reload 2, fires both barrels though
Deals 2d6 in a 20 ft cone, making an attack roll for each target (or one that applies to all?)
In melee deals 2d8 to a single target, no AoE
Can get them in a sawn off variety, 15 foot cone but no disadvantage in melee + 1 handed

Feats:
Sharpshooter: Possibly remove entirely? Kind of makes a lot of counterplay to guns completely irrelevant. No cover, no range etc

Crossbow expert: Possibly remake into some sort of dual wielding feat, something along the lines of
Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded one handed pistol you are holding
You can reload two guns in one action, as long as you are holding both
>>
>>53288298
This guy gets it
>>
You should get a +10 to hit when you teleport behind someone point blank. How can you even miss?
>>
>>53288461
takes too long to unsheath your katana
>>
>>53286896
>higher power games
Meaning what?
>>
>>53288461
>>53288542
And you need to adjust your fedora. Teleportation always knocks it askance
>>
>>53288383
Look for D&D 5e wild west on google. Lots of stuff out there.
>>
>>53288007
You can also train in skills during downtime to get proficiency.
>>
>>53288650
no
>>
>>53288461
The enemy drops something and bends over to pick it up as you swing, or you sneeze and hiccup at the same time.
>>
>>53288677
Where does it say you can't?
>>
>>53288677
Yes
>>
>>53288700
It's not about where it says you can't, it's about how it never says you can.
You can train artisan's tools proficiencies because they generally have no mechanical benefit.
>>
>>53288703
maybe
>>
>>53288718
Huh funny because I figure if someone trains enough in taking things from peoples pockets they'd eventually be good at sleight of hand.

Then again I forget if it's not spelled out it doesn't matter. So my question is what's the difference between learning how to sneak around better and learning how to play the digerado?
>>
>>53288803
It's just a game balance thing I think, no real justification whatsoever.
>>
>>53288570
>>53288415
>>53288383
I'm honestly not too much of a fan of just reskinning bows and such, as most people suggest. I was also considering other forms of tech, such as air ships and also possibly a horseless carriage as something the players get pretty early. Gives them a mobile base, allows me to have large expanses of land in a frontier like area, and adds some gameplay in keeping it maintained/safe etc.

Does anyone have experiences with just giving players a vehicle early on? Is it a good idea?
>>
>>53287911
As a Battlemaster levels up their superiority dice will change from a D8 to a D10 and eventually a D12, if that's what you mean?
>>
So I play DnD whenever my friend brings it up however we also end up making new chracters and NEVER finshing a campign(ever)with tat in mind are threr any op class combinations with lizard folks easy game?
>>
>>53288816
I don't really see how that would upset the game balance so much that it should be disallowed.

Since it takes roughly 250 days to train one thing, and certain things would require finding and paying someone to teach you, by the end of a typical campaign you get what maybe one extra proficiency?
>>
>>53288930
early game*
>>
>>53287711
Im having to drop back in my group as my EK becomes less viable in melee combat and let me tell you buddy. Ranged EK is not fun. About the only thing within our spell selection to help it out by RAW isTrue Strike, which is bad and limits what you can do. Firebolt is a better ranged option than a longbow anyways, and a heavy x-bow takes a feat to make it viable. Thats not so bad for a fighter considering all their ASIs, but still.

If you wanted a ranged fighter with a limited spell selection I'd suggest battlemaster with ranger, warlock, sorcerer, bard, or literally anything else. EK is pigeonholed as fuck. Sorry man.
>>
>>53287911
Probably from the Next playtest packet.
>>53288942
It's a reward that should be arbitrated by your DM, rather than an ordinary service you expect to just buy.
>>
What's your favorite class and why?
>>
>>53289304
Champion, because I'm a filthy casual that doesn't like to think too hard on my turn during combat and would prefer to get back to whatever else we were doing.
>>
>>53289304
Battlemaster because I like the feeling of being some advanced swordfighter dude who knows all these fancy tricks

It's basically like I'm a swordwizard who casts sword magic, complete with a spell save DC modified by my strength
>>
Who makes the best splatbooks? Is there any really great 3rd party material out there?
>>
>>53289304
Bard, because I enjoy full casters and the amount of flavor and versatility it has is lovely.
>>
>>53289304
Monk cause i love to go fast.
>>
>>53289367
No. Tome of Beasts is filled with ridiculous shit that no one would use seriously and Frog God Games are just trash.
>>
I've been DMing for about 12 sessions now.
What can I prepare for a friend (who's an experienced DM) who will join the party for one or two sessions?
I'm not asking for specifics, of course, but rather general sense of adventure we can play.
>>
>>53289215
Never said they'd be able to find someone to train them in everything. It would depend on what the party has done in the world, and who they can find. If they don't mind settling because the best they can find is someone half assed then maybe they get adv or half proficiency.

I understand the concern but if my players are willing to RP that their character is learning new skills, or getting better, I feel I should facilitate that. Is it just going to be handed to them? Not at all but I feel it should be there.
>>
>>53289149
>as my EK becomes less viable in melee combat
nani the fuck? how are you NOT dominating melee?
>>
Why does use magic device have to come so late?
>>
>>53289701
>get it
>Never get to use it because the DM only drops party appropriate loot
>>
>>53289616
party consists of two paladins, a barbarian, a battlemaster, a melee cleric, a ranged rogue, and my knight. I cant do AOES without hurting them and they tend to gather round the enemy and leave no room for me, leaving me with nothing to do to help.
Ive taken to using polearms from the back ranks but its still not working out for me.

they've also all taken to making fun of how useless my character is compared to theirs ablu blu blu
>>
>>53289854
Oh. And a monk.
>>
>>53288920

Could be.

>>53289215

Did NEXT have a Fighter with a Superiority die that didn't need to be replenished? It's been a while since I looked through the NEXT stuff.

>>53289304

Rogue - Thief. I didn't choose the Rogue life, the Rogue life chose me.
>>
File: 1457084538535.jpg (124KB, 1200x1673px) Image search: [Google]
1457084538535.jpg
124KB, 1200x1673px
Hey there everyone

I'm planning on running a sequel to CoS but I'm having a hard time coming up with any ideas.

Has anyone done this? Anything you guys can think of that would make for a neat post-adventurer Barovia?
>>
>>53289854
>8 man party
what the FUCK
>>
>>53289854
Well no shit you aren't able to stand out, you're part of a fucking mob! Jesus christ!

I guess focus on more ranged spells and any buffs you can hand out? What level is the group, in general?
>>
>>53289957
Why would the party be going to Barovia? What would attract, or bring them there in the first place?
>>
>>53289854
Why the fuck is your group so big?
>>
>>53289525
Show him your dick at the table.
>>
>>53290040
We are playing with new PCs. My initial thoughts are that the mist returns but Strahd is not yet fully formed/formidable. A power struggle occurs between the Lich and the Vampire, perhaps.

Likely, the party will be pulled through the mist once again.
>>
>>53290027
level 6. I was holding out for the level 7 ability and mirror image, but I feel that it would help the dms story if my guy left the group to do some soul searching.

he has made some pretty dark choices (killed a guy because I didnt realize there were other options, seduced a sea hag ((debatably an evil action)), gave said sea hag a weapon of mass destruction to deal with some gnomes living on her island as a gift) and is definitely feeling the weight of his sins.
>>
>>53290045
Lots of friends lol

Also two dmpcs the DM thought we'd need because the campaign was supposed to be hard as nails. We can't get rid of one of them because they know all the quest shit and get visions about it.
>>
>>53289854
You completely missed the point of the post you originally responded to and boy are you handing out bad advice. The guy is trying to build a ranged archery fighter from the get-go and focus his build in that. You sound like a melee EK that's being forced to do ranged combat.
>>
So it's been heavily implied that we're getting Tomb of Horrors 2: Electric Boogaloo this year. Has anyone heard any rumors if they're planning on doing anything else this year? I'm still waiting for them to do something with that poll they did forever ago "Which setting would you like to see published again"

Eberron when?
>>
>>53290149
True.
Sorry >>53287711, ignore my whining.
>>
>>53289957
After leaving Barovia, another villain (I'm using a lost party member) emerges after being gifted power by the Dark Powers, leading an army of vampire spawn, with artifacts that seem to nullify or block sunlight.
After dealing with the villain, they discover a trail (the artifacts?) that leads to another demiplane, it seems to be innately connected to (pick your favorite name from the Amber Temple sarcophagi, I'm using Zhudun).
They find an entrance to an ancient GOO-created demiplane where stuff happens and you don't have to explain any of it because eldritch. A basic idea is that the GOO can't seem to extend into the regular planes because it's too different, so this demiplane is a testing grounds to figure out assimilation on the material plane.
I have plans for an eldritch tainted forest, an ancient elf civilization who are hiding underneath a magic dome and suffering under a dictatorship, mind flayer colonies and mind flayer outcast liches, an ancient human settlement who have grown used to the eldritch forest and its threats. The demiplane itself is like a dyson sphere, and the sky would appear to be a vortex ready to devour all.

At least that's what I have in mind.
>>
>>53290152
>So it's been heavily implied that we're getting Tomb of Horrors 2: Electric Boogaloo this year.
By no one, that's just people inferring shit out of thin air.

We're getting the Ring of Winter FR adventure (source: Perkins Twitter) and the weekly UA splatbook (source: page titles of many of the weekly UA surveys) this year.
>>
>>53290102
If that's how you feel it's gotta be, man, go for it. It sucks when a character feels useless at the table and sometimes putting them to pasture in lieu of a more effective character is the only thing you can do.
>>
>>53290200
You're using the same PCs at level ~11 ish I presume?
>>
>>53290252
Oh yeah.
>>
File: 012813 Classes.pdf (433KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
012813 Classes.pdf
433KB, 1x1px
>>53289891
martial classes (and melee casters like certain cleric paths) had a pool of D6's. Nobody had extra attack, but instead martial classes had a larger pool. When you made a melee attack, you could roll as many from the pool as you wanted and add it to the damage. You could also spend them on maneuvers. The pool replenished at the start of your turn.
>>
File: 121712 Maneuvers.pdf (98KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
121712 Maneuvers.pdf
98KB, 1x1px
>>53290382
>The pool replenished at the start of your turn.
Sorry, this should be "at the start of every turn". So you could apply it to opportunity attacks, etc.

>manuevers attached
>>
File: My parton is google.png (325KB, 560x559px) Image search: [Google]
My parton is google.png
325KB, 560x559px
Hey, can anyone point me in the direction of a resource on how to power-game through campaigns/sandboxes?

And I don't mean how to build characters, but rather how to use them, their abilities, and most importantly the world to your advantage.

Shit like scry and fry, fishing for advantage, exponentially cloning oneself, etc. Not necessarily in an attempt to break the game, but more like what players who have reached level 20 multiple times would do in a new game. You know, the optimal course of action for problem solving and amassing power.

I'm asking for a friend.
Actually, I'm DMing but I've never played in a D&D game with someone who's played more than I have, and I only started in 5e, with PDFs and some unsuspecting friends.
>>
How hard will a wyvern fuck up a 4-5 man level 4 party? What about a 4-5 man level 5 party?
>>
>>53290382
>>53290444

I kind of want to replace the Battlemaster's Superiority Die with this system then in the next game I run.
>>
>>53290453
What kind of levels are we talking about?
>>
File: Nilobg-5e.jpg (197KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Nilobg-5e.jpg
197KB, 1200x1650px
Good names for a Nilbog? I was thinking of having one get lost/abandoned by his Hive and ended up wandering into the Hub City the PCs are currently staying. Not sure if I should give him a name or just refer to him as "The Nilbog", but names are funner IMO.
>>
>>53290479
I wanted to implement it too, but you have to balance it against Extra attack somehow.
>>
>>53290462
I think you'd lose PCs at level 4. Multi-attack + 7d6 poison from the stinger is rough, and can kill squishies really quick.
However, they outnumber it, and if they win initiative and control it, then it's feasible.
>>
>>53290529
Cicero
>>
>>53290549
So I should throw one at my players without remorse? They're murderous fucks who won't even let halfling highwaymen run away
>>
>>53284240

The fuck?

Nomadic mind i agree about but to be functional mystic needs those low level discilines.

I hope you also nerfed the amount of spells the wizard can learn.

Mystics have a very specialized set of spells per discipline.

At level 1 with 3 disciplines they have a around 1 - 2 spells (usually 1) per discipline and 1 very limited set of cantrips.
Wizards get 6 spells and 3 cantrips.

Just flat nerfing the one thing mystics are good at (versatility) is ass back retarded. Youre so worried "omg the mystic might be good" that you end up making them worse than other classes.

shame on you for being a bad gm.
>>
>>53290516
All, I guess.
I really like how tiers of play are described and I get a feeling new players don't understand how much of an impact they can have on the world, even at the "local" level (1-4).
I'm not expecting an in depth guide, but if anyone knows where I can find a good overview of what an efficient PC's MO would be, then that'd be cool.

A new player might not know that they can go find the court wizard and ask for the location of X artifact/castle/whatever. But somebody who's beaten multiple campaigns probably knows the ropes by now. Like a fighter amassing an army by level 10 or something. It's not the stats that matter so much as how abilities, skills and resources are used, to then gain more abilities, skills and resources.

I mean, I'm seeing things on /tg/ over time, on how to efficiently play some classes, but most of it seems to be about the shit that the party can do, out of combat.

Shit like gate and teleport completely negate the challenge of crossing an empire, for example. But somebody's first wizard character might take more combat focused spells and never peak as much as a wizard who builds a tower and clones himself.
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>53290676
Not him but fuck psionics and I'd nerf them into the ground Wot4E style if I could get away with it.
>>
>>53290631
Well, maybe as a roaming threat, who once it realizes the potential prey can fight back, might get bored/intimidated and leave once bloodied.

If they chase it to its layer, then that's their problem.
>>
>>53290548

Does having both really make Battlemaster that OP? I almost feel like it just brings it up to the Rogue's standard. Maybe cap it at 3-4 dice instead of six. Maybe just keep the Superiority dice as is but make them refresh at the start of every turn instead of after a short rest.
>>
What's the best class to not die with?
inb4
>dying in 5e
>>
>>53290764
There are a couple but barbarian bear totem is the one that comes to mind first.
>>
>>53290764

Rogue - Thief.
>>
>>53290764
Barbearian, but I've downed them. Advantage on Dex saves, resistance to everything, and can act on surprise round is pretty good.
>>
File: 1460411741747.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1460411741747.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
>>53290726
So it'll swoop down at them a bit and once it realises that they aren't a too easy snack, it'll fuck off. Should they follow it, it'll get very territorial and force them to fuck off for a change or become wyvern chow
>>
>>53290753
it does, because the stuff from Next lets you add it to the damage roll when you make an attack. So you could still get your extra attacks, and get the extra +xd6 per turn. It's a straight upgrade compared to what a rogue gets w/sneak attack.
>>
>>53288032
>>53288037
>>53288104

Do I need to take the Mounted Combat feat at 4 to make it work? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
>>
So I've given up on trying to find a local group and decided to run a game online. How do I do this? How different is it from a presential game? What's the go to software for running games online and how much should I invest in it?
Also thanks in advance for any useful advice you guys can give me in the matter.
>>
Can Mystic out-Monk Monk? (ie be a better mobile melee combatant that needs no equipment?)
>>
>>53289854
Play a ranged EK and cast buffs and terrain controll spells.
>>
>>53290815
Exactly. Players should be aware that anybody can run away at any time unless cornered, and turn encounters into chases. This way, if they decide to fuck with something too big, or it comes after them, they won't get upset at an "unfair" encounter, but rather act in character and run away/force it to flee.
Do note that PCs hate losing and running away though, so give them (and enemies) interesting territory to work with, either as cover, escape routes, difficult terrain, etc.
>>
Who makes the best splatbooks? Is there any really great 3rd party material out there?
>>
>>53290764
way of the long death monk
>>
>>53290529
Alucard Nilbog
>>
>>53290905
Roll20 has a system for finding games and a system for playing online. I'd argue it is the standard and most people who talk about online tabletop talk about roll20.

You can search for 5th edition games on there.
>>
>>53290907
Same issue of being MAD but can outdamage and outlast a monk with added versatility.

I thus nerf mystics limiting them to one discipline.
>>
>>53290968
Nope. Just find what you like. I have an exotic weapons homebrew that is fun, and the Gunslinger by Matt Mercer.
>>
>>53290529
Drake Floyd
He is the director of Troll 2, the movie about a bunch of goblins in a town called Nilbog.
>>
>>53290960
The wyvern's lair obviously won't just be a perfect square or circle without anything else in it. Pillars, tunnels and an aerial entrance/exit immediately comes to mind
>>
>>53290815
You could even give it lair actions within its own nest.
>>
>>53289304
Bard hands down. I like playing support, and the bard is so good at being able to make everyone around them that much better.
>>
>>53290974
You cheeky dick waffle
>>
File: en5ider_146_cosmic_syzygy.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
en5ider_146_cosmic_syzygy.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53287578
>>53287899
>>53288358
It's kind of cool, but they went in a kind of generic direction with it (cliche divination), and really just lacks fulfillment of the concept. I think I'll work on something along these lines...a sort of stardust origin, where the sorcerer is literally a celestial body, and his position in relation to others affects the powers accessible to him, the strength of effects, etc. A living, cosmic conduit, in a sense.
>>
>>53290872
Not required, but forcing them to hit you instead of your pet is nice if it has low AC/health
>>
>>53289304
Damn it's a real tough choice. I can enjoy playing all of them.

I might say cleric because there's so much versatility there and I like the flavor.
Oddly enough, despite shit talking them a lot, I realize I've played sorcerer and druid the most. Followed by monk and bard.
>>
Is con check for holding breathe weapon allowed?
>>
>>53291561
wut?
>>
>>53291574
Can you extend the duration of dragonborn breath weapon with a con check
>>
>>53291645
No, unless you want to house rule it.
>>
>>53289304
Rogue, reason being you're a problem solver. But then again rogue problems like disarming traps and scouting rarely ever come up in campaigns I play as they're all combat encounter conveyor belts.
>>
I wish dragonborn breath weapons used the d6 recharge mechanic, then they might be slightly more relevant as a pseudo-atwill thing.
>>
>>53290997
One Order of disciplines, or one discipline? If the latter, yikes...
>>
>>53291751
I'm assuming he means the former. Which isn't a bad idea at all to be honest.
>>
>>53291723
also they should properly scale like cantrips do, 2d6 per increase at 5, 11 and 17th level.

5d6 at 16th level is fucking pathetic and never worth using versus just attacking, or using spells and shit.
>>
>>53291827
Right, but then again they are an AoE attack.
Perhaps if they did +con damage as well instead?

I mean, things still do take half damage from them if they pass which is more than you can say for cantrips.
>>
File: IMG_1453.jpg (192KB, 1536x1191px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1453.jpg
192KB, 1536x1191px
Are there any rules for using old fashioned bombs like pic related?

If not, I'll just homebrew my own rules. Does bludgeoning damage sound the most appropriate for explosive devices?
>>
Are thieves' tools used for anything more than picking locks and disarming traps?
>>
>>53291973
DMG, page 267
>>
>>53292069
Thanks
>>
File: 1303769950892.png (70KB, 534x443px) Image search: [Google]
1303769950892.png
70KB, 534x443px
So for a STR fighter, melee combat looks like them smashing shit like a lunatic, overpowering defenses with sheer might.

For a DEX fighter, combat looks like controled strikes meant to go around defenses or otherwise target weakpoints

So what does a Hexblade UA Warlock look like when he fights using CHA?
>>
>>53292108
cuts their soul
>>
>>53292108

Charisma is their spellcasting stat, so presumably it's meant to represent you magically enhancing your combat strength. They probably look like they fight with supernatural strength, grace or both-not stunningly skilled, but they move in strange ways, blows striking with more force than they should and more precise than their skills would suggest.
>>
>>53292108
Opponent lets their guard down due to being psychically overwhelmed by the Warlock's presence
>>
>>53292108
Fighting spirit
>>
>>53292108
Either of those but it's the pact weapon's strength behind his crushing blows or the pact weapon's dexterity guiding his strikes.
>>
>>53292108
Like those gay hollywood action movies like Resident Evil and whatnot. Completely ridiculous poses and shit that doesn't make sense - but by force of personality, it does.
>>
>>53291862
>5d6 @ 16th level
>17.5 avg. dmg on fail
>8.75 avg. dmg on success
The DMG says to assume breath weapons for CR calculations as targeting two targets and both failing so that gives you,
>35 dmg/short rest

compared to
>27 dmg/at will (sorcerer, elemental affinity, firebolt)
>42 dmg/at will (warlock, agonizing blast)
>38 dmg/at will (fighter, 4 attacks, sword and board)
>42 dmg/at will (paladin, PAM, improved divine smite)
>32 dmg/at will (barbarian, GWM, rage)

ETC.
>>
File: 1291531429057.png (15KB, 652x656px) Image search: [Google]
1291531429057.png
15KB, 652x656px
My DM wants to buff the fighter by giving him ability score increases AND feats every time his class gets an ability score increase. How can I convince him this is balance bonkers?
>>
>>53292248
Autisticly screech untill his ear drums rupture.
>>
>>53292248
It's fine if everybody else is playing wizards. If someone is playing shit like monk then it's too much.
>>
>>53284005
How would you stat Geist for 5e /tg/?
>>
>>53292265
Bladelock, Revised Ranger, Sourcerer, Bard, and the fighter
>>
Would losing Action Surge be worth wrapping all of Battlemaster's features into fighter's core chassis? Not really planning to do it myself, but I wonder how decently that would play balancewise.
>>
While we are on the subject of fighter class changes. How does allowing Action Surges to give bonus actions back as well sound?
>>
>>53284005
>>53281586
This is why we don't use dice rolls in chargen or level up.

We always give and use the average. No luck, no potential for cheating, no potential to get screwed because you roll like crap.

If we want "random variation", once you have 4hd or more, you can (once, and no take backs) roll your biggest HD twice. the first one, you add to the average, the second one you subtract from the average. Then you're always within 1 HD of the average value, no bullshit.
>>
>>53287075
Why?

>>53287114
My 4 PCs are level7, I want the fight to be hard as heck. Memorable. There's some rivalry so I want the drama to pay off. The monster as it was would be dead in 1 round. I couldn't just up it's stats randomly because I don't know how to "level up" a monster. I couldn't give him magical items because then they would go to PCs after the fight and I'm trying to control the magic items a little bit.

>>53287156
Langdedrosa, yes. My players are lvl7 though with tons of Effective-HP (life cleric + rage resistance + potions) and some magical items.

I'm trying out HotDQ but we started from lvl6 since we played LMOP previously.
>>
>>53292329
slash slash, slash. Action surge, slash slash, slash.

Too much too early
>>
>>53292490
If your dual wielding I feel you are already at a disadvantage in comparison to everything else.
>>
>>53292519
GWM and PAM both give pretty easy ways to get a bonus action in. GWM only requires you to kill anything with your first 4 attacks to get 2 bonus action ones.

As a higher level buff it could be decent though.
>>
If the Warlock patrons were to be merged with pact boons (like Hexblade, Raven Queen, and Seeker are basically blade, chain, and tome), how would you do with Archfey, Fiend, GOO, and Undying?
>>
>>53292108
I fluff my Hexblade/Paladin Multiclass >multiclassing UA LMAO as touching them with a stick, and sending a torrent of power through them.
>>
>>53286805
bump again, looking for feedback on a stupid(?) idea I had.
>>
>>53292329
It's already the best part of the fighter. You're going to see more multiclass nova shitfests, and not enough solving other problems the class has.

One thing that's important for simple variety is making equivalent power feat tax alternatives for PAM/Xbow/Sharpshooter/GWM, and adding feats at 1st level. It's more important for martials anyway,
>>
>>53290529
Isn't the entire point of the Nilbog "the last remaining god of our goblin pantheon has somehow survived through sheer spite and trickery, but we dare not name him for that would make him present enough to be disposed of"?
>>
How do you kick a friend out? I'm talking best friend tier

He doesn't want his life consumed by games, so he will cancel last minute. We play 2-4 hrs once a week tues-thurs.

This makes playing with him difficult.
>>
>>53292108
Way as I see it, Warlocks cast spells and wield weapons by sweet-talking their Patrons for the power to bop a motherfucker.
>>
>>53286805
>Oh wow I have a single NPC but I want it to be a cool fight so instead of doing the logical thing and having them have buddies and make the fight more tactical than 'Approach them, shove them to the floor and beat the shit out of the lone enemy' or 'Approach them, attempt to shove them but the DM says they have mary sue powers that make them resistant to all but generic dealing damage attacks'
You fucked up at the point you tried to pull this shit in 5e.

Instead, stop beefing up a single target and instead have multiple targets.
>>
>>53292845
If he's a best friend tell him straight up and explain the situation.

If he's not a best friend you'll find out shortly after.
>>
>>53292806
I was thinking more along the lines of a nickname for the PCs to call him rather than actual Goblinoid Deity significance.
>>
>>53292876
I'm aware of action economy, he obviously buddies. There are 4x CR2 Berserkers with him. Their attack bonuses/dmg aren't that good but they have decent HP.

Minimum AC the PCs have is 16. They have good AoE and CC from the Bard. High DPS from the Rogue working with Barbarian's Totem rage giving advantage. And a blood bank life cleric.
>>
>>53292947
Well, alright then.
Honestly, because I'm that sort of a faggot, I'd suggest to focus on tactics. If the guy has any notion of how the party fights, they could try mundane counters like 'spread out to avoid AoE' or 'attack from range, use cover, drop prone as well while at a good distance'

It's alright to beef things up as you see fit, but just avoid HP bloat that just draws out a fight and avoid 'Yeah nah they're immune to X even though they shouldn't be'. If need be, you can even give them a favourable situation to be in - have a hostage, fight in a room full of traps that the party hasn't figured out yet, fight when the party is weak, et cetera. I'm not too sure what would work best, you should be able to figuer that out but if the rogue is doing the most DPS then it doesn't sound like your party's super-optimized considering rogues are usually a bit lower damage than the other martials.

It's kinda odd. Rogues are just a bit above monks in terms of damage on paper and yet they're often the 'deals the most damage' guy somehow.
>>
>>53293047
The half-dragon is the personal guard of a leader so his first idea will be that but they're not in the same room. Also, there are dragons eggs that need to be protected at all costs. I'm not exactly sure what tactic I'll use but I really want to keep that Cleric down or at least busy.

There's a trapped chest in the room which they'll probably save for when the fight ends, but not much.

I am afraid the fight will drag on with HP sponginess but I can't really damage the PCs without the enemies staying alive for some time. He has lightning resistance cause he's blue and Fey Ancestry cause he's elven but that's it. No need for magical weapons or whatever, everything hits. Party will be weak probably (they might short rest) because of the way the cave goes.

I might give them a hostage but I know my little murderhobos wouldn't care at all.

The rogue is doing 1d8 + 4d6 + 3 damage every round WITH advantage so he's actually going quite well. Though reloading kicks his ass. The Barbarian hoarded the magical items so he hits like a truck too. The Party is optimised towards survivability imo, not damage necessarily.
>>
>>53293215
>Everything hits
For which side? That kinda sounds like something's wrong.

If it's a cave protecting some dragon eggs, it'd be reasonable if they had fortified and trapped the area before it to defend it. Give them slight battlements or walls the players would have to get over (And if they attack at range the walls make good cover) and put traps in front of the walls. Though, I fear this hinders everybody but the cleric, but I'm not quite sure what the cleric is doing. The typical damaging cleric set-up is 'spirit guardians then make yourself really hard to hit' but if they're just healing then that's probably not much of a concern.
>>
So what are some nice Mystic builds?
>>
>>53292556
>Hexblade/paladin
Why can't you be a normal person and just take 3 levels of warlock for shillelagh instead of needing some overpowered UA to take you only one level?

>>53292108
It's like shillelagh.
>>
>>53293390
I can. I don't is what you're astonished with.
>>
>>53292248
Suggest the DM uses the typical 'remove weapon feats but give every weapon a free part of a feat to it as the player sees fit' solution.

It has a similar effect but it's much less broken.
>>
>>53293353
Nomadic Mind focus meme.
Incite Panic meme.
One of the two AoE stun memes.
Bestial Hide + Inertial Armor + Avatar with shield + a focus that gives +1 AC meme.
100 HP wall meme.
Mind rape memes (which mind rape depends on how much DM fiat you can handle).
>>
>>53293298
I only meant the half dragon doesn't resist non-magical attacks. Hopefully not everything will hit with AC 17
>>
I'm DMing my first campaign on Saturday. One of the players contacted me to discuss his character ahead of time since he's going to be a little late, he's playing a cleric high elf with heavy armor proficiency and wants to start with splint mail rather than chain. I was apprehensive to this decision, but he gave me a reasonable backstory explanation for it, so I decided to let him have it. I'm not happy though about letting him have an edge over the other two PCs right from the beginning. I don't want to outright punish him for it, but I wanted to think of a subtle consequence for it.
My idea was, since his character traveled to the main continent from a secluded island where splint mail is exclusively produced(part of his reasoning), that nearly every NPC he meets on the main continent would comment on his armor, saying "Wow, cool armor, where'd you get it?" to the point where it gets a little ridiculous.
Any better ideas? Or less wrong ideas? We're a very casual group and I want to be cool with everything, but I feel like him starting with so much AC might be unfair to the other two guys.
>>
>>53284557
Man, this guy went down like a bitch in my campaign. We got all his guys on the secret passage of the keep and dumped burning oil and caltrops on them. He finally gets up to us and proceeds to be absolutely BODIED by two Battlemasters. Then I jammed a Javelin of Lightning into a gaping gash on his crab claw arm and crit-overloaded it which made his dumb ass explode from a surge of lightning flash-boiling all his juicy innards..
>>
>>53293489
Should have either made it shitty splint that has the AC of chainmail, and requires 200 gp to repair. Or put him into debt with the mob.
>>
This has probably been asked a thousand times but what's everyone's thoughts on the Mystic?
>>
>>53293564
I honestly don't even remember fighting him.
>>
>feats let martials do interesting shit and be powerful and have fun
>WAH NOT BALANCED, TOTALLY OPTIONAL, NOT WHAT THE GAME HAD IN MIND
>spells let casters wreck every single part of the game
>AS INTENDED
f u
>>
>>53293489
Splint mail is affordable by base rules at level 1 depending on things.
If you're really that worried about having +1 AC a session or two earlier, just give everyone an extra bit of pocket change.

Or, as other anon said, it has only 16 AC and needs to be improved upon with money, because otherwise if they have a problem with that they're clearly out for power, not story.
>>
>>53293489
So let me get this straight, you don't like that he has a higher AC and now want to punish him for something you said he could do instead of telling him no and explaining your reasoning from the beginning?
>>
>>53293353
probably immortal impenetrable bag of hitpoint and AC (STR/CON) is the only chassis that actually achieves something.

a full int blaster-y psion is really not supported by the current orders, and the soul knife really doesnt' do enough to make it worth as a gish build.

in the end of the day, the best mystic is the mystic that fills the party's gaps.
>>
>>53293593
Each individual discipline needs balancing. Because you have a wide selection what ends up happening is that you pick the 4 disciplines with just ONE fucked up OP skill, and you compound it with your ability to spam one skill over and over and you have imbalance. With a normal case of imbalance you can spam it up to the number of spell slots you have, or per short rest, or some lesser integer, but Mystic can multiply a broken skill to the maximum.

Which would be fine if nothing was imbalanced. But things like Incite Panic are so laughably overtuned it would either require multiple iterations each hammering down the nails that stand out, or a fundamental change that I think would kill the fun of the class, because it's one of my favorites.
>>
>>53293489
Ya dun goof'd, now anything you try to do will be cheap DMing. Shouldn't have allowed it from the start.
>>
>>53293615
>Can't grab any feats on my paladin because I have to spend 4 asi's pumping str and cha to 20
>will never even get that deep to begin with, but still can't give up the stat progression
Life is MAD as hell.
>>
New thread this way >>53293727
>>
>>53293585
The first solution feels kind of like a cheap shot, and the second one conflicts with his backstory(apparently it was a parting gift from his brother who was part of the guard).

>>53293625
Right. Potentially he can wear it if he puts 15 into STR, the issue is he wants to start with it for free. I think I like the repair solution, but he is the kind of person who gets upset if he doesn't get his way. This sort of thing has happened before when I wasn't DMing.

>>53293626
>>53293688
The thing I have issue with is his advantage over the other PCs. I explained to him the requirements, mainly the cost, but I told him if he could give me a reasonable explanation why he should start with it, I would let him. So he did, and I did.

Technically nothing's set in stone right now since we haven't played yet, but that would be pretty rude to just message him and say "oh yeah you need to pay 100gp to repair that splint mail." I think what I'll do instead is drop better armor for the other two early on.
>>
>>53293799
He broke his leg in his backstory, and is 125gp in debt. Fix the problem mechanically if it's a mechanical problem.
>>
Hey /tg/, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm DMing for a large group (7, 8 on some days). For more than half the group, this is their first D&D experience. A problem I'm facing is that the players (even the "experienced" one) are acting very unrealistically. They curse at random townsfolk, the chaotic neutral barbarian (I know, huge red flag) assaulted a merchant in front of a guard, they expect every NPC has something to hide from them, etc. Ultimately, what my question is, is: is it ok to humble my party with a crazy powerful encounter? So far, the barbarian beat the shit out of a random street thug. The party is still level 1, would it be ok for that thug to hire a bunch of stronger thugs and just stomp the party? I plan to use it to set up another side quest, but I guess I'm wondering about people's opinions on encounters that the player's have no hope of winning, but also no hope of avoiding. It sounds like poor DMing to me, but I need some way to instill in my players a sense of danger and humility. Right now, they think they're on god mode.
>>
>>53293859
Uh, start punishing them? If they act like murderhobos, treat them like they deserve to be. Start making it cost them gold, items, rests, etc. .
>>
>>53290871

Then I'll just stick to the dice refreshing at the start of a turn and capping it at like 3.
>>
>>53292108
Hypnotic and terrifying. Like a snake charmer and the opponent is the snake.
>>
>>53290444
>>53290382
>a martial's prowess uses a turn-regenerating resource
>always active, applicable in just about every situation
>get to do shit every time you do something or someone does something to you
just imagine
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.