[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 353
Thread images: 69

File: Iggwilv Summons Grazzt.jpg (147KB, 667x900px) Image search: [Google]
Iggwilv Summons Grazzt.jpg
147KB, 667x900px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...
>>53112184
>>
why are non-EB cantrips so shit?
>>
>>53122311
Paladin is light blue, barbarian is dark blue.

Unless you're taking into account burst potential, where fighter has action surge and paladin has smites.
Barbarian is above fighter for the first 10 levels where they have almost the same as fighter except rage and reckless attack. But these were rough calculations, I probably watered down the reckless attack to represent you're not going to use it all the time if you don't want to die. Can't remember.
>>
Has anyone made much use of 5e's madness mechanics?
>>
>>53122390
we tried to, while playing OotA but then the cleric got lesser restoration/remove curse so it stopped mattering at all...
>>
File: Malenti.png (2MB, 958x1316px) Image search: [Google]
Malenti.png
2MB, 958x1316px
Why does the Monster Manual spend 25% of the sahuagin's description on malenti and then not give them a statblock?
>>
How should I avoid being labeled that guy with Healing Elixir on a Wizard? The obvious thing to do is spend Arcane Recovery and left over slots on it but that means I can have like 2-3 every day without much effort.

Seems like a rather broken spells for low level Wizards and every level Warlocks.
>>
>>53122323
What is it with spergs and being obsessed with wolves?

I've seen it discussed on here before but haven't seen it in action until our newest player joined the fold. He's peculiar on his own but literally everything has to involve wolves in some way. Wolves in his backstory, wolf shit for his starting trinket, asking if he can get a wolf familiar.

Why wolves??

I know this isn't specific to 5e but it's the system we play in and I'm baffled. He isn't disruptive or anything but it weirds me out how into wolves he is.
>>
File: 1486909888992.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1486909888992.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>>53122382
I mean, I guess we could just let wizard deal as much damage as a fighter yet also have spell slots, I guess?
But then we'd be playing 4e probably.
>>
I want to play this shit but I dont know how, I dont have any friends, and I dont have the time.
>>
File: Pathfinder gENERAL.png (349KB, 1600x491px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder gENERAL.png
349KB, 1600x491px
>>53122421
Furfags
>>
>>53122411
Arcane recovery is only once a long rest, so it's not really giving you spell slots for every short rest you make. Essentially, wizards just have more spell slots than everybody else.

Warlocks on the other hand can actually spam short rests, so it's broken on them.

Only take healing elixir if it suits the character, i.e. playing transmutation or an artificer-style wizard.
>>
>>53122408
Sea Elves themselves are mentioned in several of the books but haven't been seen yet as far as I know.
>>
>>53122382
Because they're only there so the Wizard doesn't have to use a crossbow when he's saving slots.

In older editions when a low level caster ran out of slots he became a peasant with a crossbow, now he's still feeling like a Wizard but his damage is about the same as it would be with the crossbow.
>>
File: Bearzerker.jpg (614KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
Bearzerker.jpg
614KB, 1000x773px
>>53122383
>You're not going to use it all the time if you don't want to die
Hah! I'm a Bear barbarian, I use Reckless Attack very nearly 100% of the time.
>>
>>53122408
Don't the malenti just use the sahuagin statblocks?
>>
>>53122449
You can get advantage from other means quite easily, and if you have a dozen enemies attacking you you might want to not use it.
>>
>>53122443
My characters an ex-soldier and I figured it seems like a spell armies would want their Wizards to know.

Plus I think we only have a Paladin with any healing ability.
>>
>>53122430
>dont have any friends
Roll20
>I dont have the time
Roll20 late at night on weekends

Just be careful about the group you join. It may even take a couple tries before you finally get into one that you can stay with long-term
>>
>>53122455
That would seem to be the implication, but it's still confusing. Wouldn't a malenti speak elvish and not be able to use the sahuagin's attacks? Sea elves don't have fangs and claws.
>>
>>53122430
Use Roll20, join a 4 hours long weekly game, read Basic Rules.
If you have time for 4chan, you have time for this.
>>
Do Blade Mastery and Sentinel compliment each other as well as it looks like they do? I think I might grab those two for my Battlemaster. I'm new to this though so if any of you more experienced guys have any insight that would be appreciated
>>
File: darmanitan.png (442KB, 555x494px) Image search: [Google]
darmanitan.png
442KB, 555x494px
I just DM'd my very first game and I'm still reeling from the excitement. I've played 5e for a few months now with my friends and we've all loved it, but it's just been one of us that's been career DM. Now we're switching off.

One thing that nearly nuked my adventure though was being too damn easy—fuck what the DMG says about challenge rating and EXP budgets, my players would have CHEWED through a "Deadly" encounter like it was nothing unless I secretly bumped up their health (just so that it was actually a fun battle instead of a passive curbstomp).

Do you guys have any advice for REALLY balancing encounters in 5e? The DMG seems to assume the worst of its players, and in the future I'd like to construct some battles that are actually challenging without just clandestinely fudging enemy health or attack rolls.
>>
File: Barbearian.jpg (381KB, 2953x3078px) Image search: [Google]
Barbearian.jpg
381KB, 2953x3078px
>>53122470
To be fair I've rolled really, really well on HP. We just hit level 11 and I'm up at 142 health with +1 AC while shifted and resistance to all damage except Psychic while raging, so I'm willing to keep permanent Advantage on myself because I can take it if it means squishier members are ignored outright. About the only thing that can really, honestly fuck me over is a charm spell (which I can get advantage on if I know it's coming) or being put to sleep or going unconscious via magic. Fucking Beholder did that shit tonight, annoyed the hell out of me.
>>
>>53122513
Then take the sea elves and give them malenti traits.
>>
>>53122439
He's a nice guy and a good player and the wolf shit isn't even disruptive. It's just like one of those things that you can't un-notice and he keeps bringing it up.

It makes me lose focus because I'm so baffled by it.
>>
>>53122323
>I want to summon a demon, but not, you know, if he's ugly or anything.
>>
>>53122537
Sea elves don't have stats in 5e.
>>
>>53122535
Keep tanking like a boss, man... I feel like most people are so goddamn afraid of taking damage. I play an Oath of Devotion and even with my Lay on Hands I end up in single digits at the end of almost every fight...makes it more exciting and heroic.
>>
File: ind274ex.jpg (12KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
ind274ex.jpg
12KB, 199x253px
>>53122572
I don't understand it myself.

I guess when it comes right down to it I don't believe in werewolves, I just agree with White Wolfs worldview and general outlook on things.
>>
>>53122588
Then take the malenti and give them elf traits. Jesus Christ.
>>
I'm jumping into a campaign as a level 4 characters and I want to play a pugilist type character, and can't figure out how I should build it.

I don't want to deal with monks because of Ki, unless I just justify it as something not-magical, or work with my DM to make a Ki-less Monk. So I was thinking of doing a Barbarian + Tavern Brawler to justify beating the shit out of everyone, but I also was thinking mixing Tavern Brawler with Battle Master Fighter could allow for some interesting fights. Or just do a level in monk and 3 levels in something else.

My DM is relaxed with customizing this shit within reason, but still. I'm not sure what seems best.
>>
>>53122497
>>53122514
Roll20 is great for playing games over long distances with your friends. Roll20 is terrible for finding good games.
>>
>>53122531
Yeah I remember throwing a bugbear at my party and they pretty much just formed a bullying circle around him and kicked his shit in, the rogue kept getting sneak attacks and our fighter kept getting crits, the thing lasted like 2 rounds against a level 3 party of 4.

I've found it helps with challenge to always add some easier enemies in with a large encounter. One large enemy just gets gangbanged too easily without any regard for actual tactics
>>
>>53122650
>don't want to deal with monks because of Ki, unless I just justify it as something not-magical, or work with my DM to make a Ki-less Monk

That's what I did. My character's name was Wallopin' Wallace and he had a few points of "rowdiness."
>>
>>53122531
You gotta know your party, if they're decently optimised and have a good party composition you get a notion of what they can handle.
But desu you need a couple more sessions of DMing them to be sure, maybe they were favoured by the dice in this encounter.
>>
>>53122399

I gotta say I actually like that better, the main reason I grabbed it when the anon who made it posted it because I've seen several berserker barbarians and it's the same.

Never use frenzy unless they believe a long rest is coming up or it's a boss fight. Never have I seen one actually try and use intimidating presence except of CR and it doesn't work out well.

I just wanted our barbarian to have more chance to use kinda the main thing of his class.
>>
If you're not running, playing in, or planning to run or play in an Eberron game, you're missing out big time.
>>
>>53122690
>"rowdiness."
That's fuckin solid.

I was going to do a high strength build, because I wanted him to be physically massive (for a human), but it still might be best to just do Monk.
>>
>>53122531
5e has a bit of a problem with expecting maybe 8 combats a day but them being rather weak. Might be that.

I think it's nice to have 'side' or 'optional' bosses, to to make every single fight much harder but also not necessarily something the players absolutely have to fight.

>>53122535
I'm not really sure how I feel about rolling for HP, but then I never really thought about it.
Seems kind of obnoxious in certain kinds of campaigns, really, because I've seen some fighter types roll absolutely dreadful on HP while the squishier classes roll well and it ends up with some ridiculous 'the rogue is the tank, the melee fighter is squishy' shit.
>>
>>53122684
Bugbear is CR1, Bugbear Chief is CR3. Nothing impressive there.
>>
>>53122714
Just suck your DM off and ask for STR+WIS or STR+DEX AC
>>
File: BattleChefDinnerTime.jpg (361KB, 1378x1060px) Image search: [Google]
BattleChefDinnerTime.jpg
361KB, 1378x1060px
>>53122626
I mean, I can kinda see why. Our Warlock has lost more than half his health to a single creature in a single turn before, and more than once has been saved purely by the virtue of his Undying Light revival feature. Part of the reason I'm so willing to eat shit is because they can heal me, but I can't heal them, so it just works out best if I take damage instead of anyone else.

>>53122721
It's only because I'm already so beefy that I'm willing to do it. I'd never roll for health on a class with anything less than d10 hit dice. I've gotten nice and lucky, though, with more than one maximum roll.
>>
File: nat20 INT check.jpg (143KB, 552x449px) Image search: [Google]
nat20 INT check.jpg
143KB, 552x449px
>>53122684
I think failing to account for the fucking Rogue is what sunk me. Seriously, goddamn, the rogue was doing upwards of 20 damage per turn, easy. (they were all level 5)

The final fight was against the functional equivalent of a Bandit Captain and three bandits. Like I said, the DMG said it was a very deadly encounter. But the enemies would have been WIPED if not for my own shenanigans.

At least now I know I can go all-in with encounters next time. I thought the encounter leaned on difficult already, but now I know I can basically double that without going overboard.
>>
>>53122644
I don't really care that much, I'm just saying it's odd that so much is written about sea elves and malenti but they're never been given stats.
>>
>>53122697
barbarians aren't scary cause they are scary, barbarians are scary cause they fight like madmen. They do crazy insane stunts and take lunatic risks and laugh at the face of battle.

You ever see that deleted scene in the remake of Shaft where that guy is stabbing himself with a screwdriver saying, "You best kill me, motherfucker, you best kill me!"

That shit was too real for the audience. They didn't wanna see that. Thats what its like fighting one of them. They don't care if THEY live so long as YOU die.
>>
File: Thinking Intensifies.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking Intensifies.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>>53122721
Howe 2 make 5e into an encounter-based resource-system instead of an rest-based one without turning it into an MMO-simulator like 4e was?
>>
File: peridom.jpg (46KB, 399x800px) Image search: [Google]
peridom.jpg
46KB, 399x800px
>>53122734
Hey anon, I've got an idea, lets invite all your friends over and I'll jerk you off under the table while you try to DM, it'll be fun!
>>
>>53122763
>bandit captain and 3 bandits
Shit nigger that's a medium encounter for a lv5 3-man party and an easy for a 4-man party. How can you fuck up this badly?
>>
>>53122748
you should always take the average. You will get more points on average. Rolling is for chumps and gamblers.
>>
>>53122723
Yeah, Bugbear Chief. I know it's nothing crazy for their level but I didn't expect them to demolish it so effortlessly.
>>
>>53122806
Well in this case I'm a gambler, and it's worked out for me.
>>
>>53122531
Combat in 5e is all about an action economy. I just ensure that the enemies have 1 or 2 actions more than the PCs.

Adding enemy minions with only 1 hp can help. The die if they get hit, but they can cause confusion when you have 15 of kobold minions running at a party, protecting their dragon prize.
>>
>>53122382
Booming Blade on Swashbucklers is really good though.
>>
You know what I think would be fun? Just let an ordinary tavern brawl escalate the way it does in d&d, but then play out the consequences of that brawl.

Have the guards come out and have the PC's fight 10 at a time, call in the knights, have other heroes come out to intervene, play the whole thing out, see if there is anything you can throw at the players that results in putting them on the defensive.

If somebody is too dumb to run away then they are useless.
>>
>>53122843
You put 3-4 enemies on a single initiative slot. Thats how you tend to handle large battles. If that is too complicated, you can roll a d100 and trade all your bonuses and penalties to initiative for +5's and -5's instead.
>>
>>53122763
What was the rest of the party? It's odd that the rogue's doing the most damage. Typically a fighter, barbarian, paladin or ranger would be doing better unless they've gimped themselves.
>>
>>53122776
I'm not sure there's any easy way other than doing shit like having powers last an entire day or everybody having at-will powers.

It could also be possible to have it so everybody has similar resource pools or that resource pools are also tied into things like health or casting a spell also has a detrimental effect with it or requires money or preparation.

But really they should have just made the adventuring day shorter.
>>
>>53122801

It was my first time DMing, I didn't know better! And they weren't three bandits per se, it was like a bandit, a scout, and some other thing from the NPC appendix of the monster manual. But trust me, the math worked out to be a Deadly Encounter. The real mistake I made was just trusting the numbers in a vacuum—but like they say, I think you have to learn the rules before you can bend them so I'm kind of glad I learned this the hard way.

>>53122843
Yeah, only the bandit captain had multiple attacks. I wanted him to be the big hitter of the enemy party, but he was at the expense of the enemy party's ability to actually do anything.

The next idea I have for a session involves infiltrating a giant wasp's nest or beehive so there'd definitely be lots of potential for tons of grunt enemies. (these sessions are one-shots done when someone from the party can't make it for an adventure in our main campaign)
>>
>>53122323
I'm making a DnD diorama for someone's birthday. What's the classic 5 man party?

Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, then who? Ranger? Barbarian? Bard?
>>
>>53122928

It was a rogue, a paladin, and a wizard. All fifth level. There was also a warlock but he had to bail before the final fight due to an emergency coming up.

The paladin was close behind in damage, definitely, but the rogue was just able to land more consistent hits and those Sneak Attack die added up.
>>
>>53122975
the classic party is the 4 man party, thief, fighter, cleric and magic-user.
>>
>>53122864
>players get into a tavern brawl
>having the upper hand
>some buddies of the losing side join against them
>players have some friends in the tavern as well
>they promptly join the fight on the players side
>soon enough the whole tavern is brawling
>city guard comes in through the door
>gets out through the window
>brawl now extends into the streets
>some tusslers roll into the market square
>stall get destroyed
>merchants get into the fray
>takes only a couple of minutes to have the whole town scuffling
>a few days pass
>kingdom is effectively dismantled due to large-scale civil war
>survivors get the tavern brawler feat
>>
>>53122713
if there was an eberron book for 5e it would be better................................
>>
>>53123013
>>53122975
and apparently the first subclass (fighter's) ever and eventually fifth class was the the paladin, so i'd go with that.
>>
>>53122964
Scouts are only CR 1/2, you'd need to get 10 of them coupled with a bandit and a bandit captain to get into deadly encounter range for a 4-man lv5 party.
I'm pretty sure you fucked up the math somewhere.
>>
>>53122990
Well, rogue should be better against high AC targets if that's the case.
Though paladins aren't typically GWM so they don't care as much about low AC as barbarians or fighters might.

Though for all we know the paladin was sword-and-board defense fighting style.

And I wouldn't expect the wizard to show a lot of damage unless they're getting AoE damage on groups.
>>
>>53123013
>>53123071
4 man party and the Paladin. Thanks. You happen to know what the next released class was? I have only 4 non-monster minis planned but it may climb up to 6 at max if my budget expands
>>
>>53122535
hi smug

Honestly I wish any of the tanks in my current party were better. We're still pretty low level, but our Cleric and Fighter both get shredded.

The cleric is even making a point of being tanky.
>>
File: dk shrug.png (222KB, 345x247px) Image search: [Google]
dk shrug.png
222KB, 345x247px
>>53123082
alright i'm double checking my numbers. The hunting party that my players fought were VERY slightly modified versions of certain NPCs—but significant statistics were all kept the same. There was:
>Leader: CR 2 (450 XP)
>Bandit: CR 1/8 (25 EXP)
>Kenku: CR 1/4 (50 EXP)
>Scout: CR 1/4 (50 EXP)

Total sum of EXP is 575. DMG then says to multiply that by x2 because there's 4 monsters in all. So the functional EXP is 1,150.

Then the XP Threshold by Character Level table says that a "Deadly" encounter for four level 5 characters is 1,100+ EXP. So in theory, this encounter was deadly. In practice, not at all.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding this? I'm pulling all this from DMG p. 82 if anyone wants to check me.
>>
>>53123207
I fucking knew it.
Read the "2. Determine the Party's XP Threshold" again my african american friend, the XP is for each player. So a deadly encounter is 4400.
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Pugilist Class.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53122650
Here you go.
>>
>>53123207
I forget what the DMG says, but I think the assumption is supposed to be that the recommended 6-8 encounters a day, if they were deadly, would "potentially lead to character death". But I think the book actually says that just one deadly encounter may be enough to kill a character.

Just remember, a freshly rested party of 4 or 5 characters can kill monsters 2-4 CR above their level, even with some low level minions. What you really want to do is go for that 6-8 combats, make 'em smaller, drain the class resources.
>>
>>53123112
that'd be bard, if my sources are right. with monk and cleric as close followups.
>>
File: aaaaa.png (39KB, 337x144px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.png
39KB, 337x144px
>>53123235
>>53123258

shit, U RIGHT. On my initial pass I must have grievously misread that. Thank you so much for catching my mistake.

I'm really glad that I was able to improvise well enough to keep it fun and engaging for the players, but yeah, this will definitely help me plan encounters correctly next time.

I imagine that being able to finely craft an adventuring day—the right amount of encounters, with the right amount of monsters each, paced just well enough, and being more interesting that just plain slugfests—is a skill that can only be honed from experience.
>>
>>53122650
Stop trying to do your 'Unarmed brawler' jerk-off fantasy and just acknowledge that any sensible people, save for magical people who've followed a strict code and who rely entirely on their honed body rather than any armour or anything atop of it (And even they're better off using weapons), should use a fucking weapon like a normal person instead of trying to punch things like corrosive slimes.
>>
>>53123258
>the assumption is supposed to be that the recommended 6-8 encounters a day

does anyone actually do this?
>>
>>53123253
does anyone honestly likes this thing?
or played it for that matter, it overall looks awful, more on the flavor/fluff side than the mechanics but awful nonetheless.
>>
>>53123320
not at all, not now, not ever. it is truly the weakest of weak points in 5e, absolutely retarded assumptions made by the designers.

either you have to make every encounter deadly, or you need to rework your rest mechanics somehow, because it's impossible to cram that many encounters (even if not only combats) in a single day without destroying all semblance of pacing your story might want to have.
>>
>>53123320

In my main campaign which my friend DMs (very well may I add) I think we hover around 3-5 encounters per day. It's lower than that much more often than it's higher. I think they get that it's more fun to have bigger, more challenging encounters than to pad it out with tiny ones that boil down to rolling dice for five minutes.

Quality over quantity.
>>
>>53123306
This. I used to love the unarmed brawler thing but it just doesn't make sense unless you're highly magical.
>>
File: sam.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sam.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
what are you guys' opinions on custom/homebrewed classes

i really enjoy them because it lets myself and my fellow players make interesting, personalized characters with the potential for novel backstories, but i think that's only the case because i'm playing with really invested players who actually give a shit about making their characters that way.

in the general sense i know that opening that door leads to nothing but gimmicks and trying desperately to be The Most Special And Original Person In The Room
>>
>>53123137
Scout is that you
We've got a Protection Cleric in our group and she's actually pretty solid in the role. She took a lot of stuff like Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians and Sanctuary and stuff so she helps defend and deal damage more or less just by existing.
>>
>>53123320
We've done like 4 and are up to number 5, I have a feeling there's still one or two more before we'll get a rest.
>>
>>53123431
Yep!
Our Cleric is a life Cleric, so she's de-facto healer, but she's also the highest AC in our group.

Honestly, I'm not sure what spells she even takes. I've only ever seen her Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds, and Sacred Flame, really.
>>
>>53123426
Just use items as "Special Skills". My DM and I are working on my Warlock's inner demon trying to break free, and this can be harnessed during combat to add damage and such, which we're fluffing as the demon's spirit bursting out of the dude when he attacks, but in crunch it's just a belt/pendant etc that is "Add 2d6 fire damage" or whatever.

Otherwise you get special snowflake syndrome which is some guy having all the teleportation, all the magical sword slashes, all the immune to damage shit we left behind in 3.PF
>>
>>53123368
It's much fairer to get a balance.
You can unarmed strike while grappling if your hands are used up or even just unarmed strike sometimes as a barbarian considering it'll still do decent damage but you don't have to do it 24/7.

At the very least it's viable on a shield-using barbarogue if you want to use it to sneak attack.
>>
>>53123490

Damn. Our group's been pretty tame with the race perks, it's mostly just skill tweaks. We don't go wild with the innate abilities.

I played as a walking talking grizzly bear (not trying to be the next sir bearingmeme) that was also a druid. These intelligent bears came from extremely isolated woodland communities, and their stats were basic beast perks (darvision, keen senses), good constitution, and a beefed unarmed attacks. It's kept simple.

I also have a skeleton cleric for a benevolent god of death and while "Death Cleric but good and also a custom race" sounds forced as fuck on paper I really drove home the backstory and he's turned into a really fun character. The skeleton race the DM provided was really neat: no food, no water, no sleep needed, proficiency in Intimidation, and resistance to piercing and poison damage, but weak to bludgeoning damage and falls apart against Dispel Magic and such. Tradeoffs like that.

Another character played as a creature kind of like the Brundlefly and it was lots of fun.
>>
>>53123461
Everyone says hi, I've missed bullshitting about D&D with you

What kind of Fighter have you got? I know you said you're low level so I'm not sure what level of spells you're at but even simple shit like Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Warding Bond, and Spiritual Weapon can really help out. Spiritual Weapon isn't Concentration so it's a pretty effective way of adding more damage to a fight without sacrificing action economy, as even just casting it is a bonus action, and at higher levels it pairs well with things like Spirit Guardians for larger fights where the Cleric can get off a lot of guaranteed damage and reduce enemy mobility.
>>
>>53123426
Most of them are broken and not very applicable to most games.
If you want a wacky 'make your own class' game, play mutants and masterminds or something.

For 5e, I'd recommend allowing everyone one customizable 'super-feat' that allows them to really define their character, that could do all sorts of shit like 'You no longer have spell slots, but instead reduce your max HP to cast' or suchlike.
>>
File: this.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>53123306
>>
File: Lance.png (11KB, 412x172px) Image search: [Google]
Lance.png
11KB, 412x172px
My DM is using a 3rd party supliment that adds special attack options and stuff for each weapon and a few new ones.

After seeing this is there any reason not to play an Eagle Barbarian to charge people down with a Lance?
>>
>>53123320
Let me tell you what I've been doing the last few sessions a with my group, which is pretty close to some of the suggestions in the dmg I think, but not quite
>party is in a big dungeons real big with traps and puzzles and lots of monsters
>every session, they roll initiative at the start
>that is the initiative for the session
this means I can do things like
>roll initiative for just the monsters and quickly put them in, and combat fits in more with the feel of the session- no pause while six people roll 8+ initiative scores, writing them all down in order, no minutes long equivalent of a jrpg random battle screen
>easily add monsters mid combat as well
>determine things like who makes saves for traps and in what order, and other things that may need a quick reference of who reacts first
>allows for chances to talk/examine/get a surprise hit in without necessarily needing checks- let's the players see if a monster is hostile (he gets a smack in, indicating that he doesn't want to talk) and also I can get at least one hit in before I roll terribly and the party all goes before the monster and kills him
The lack of distinction between exploring time and fighting time makes me more willing to throw encounters in. It makes me more willing to throw a single weak monster in as a "flavor fight" without making a big deal about entering initiative. It makes me more willing to change fights as they go, adding or subtracting monsters being part of the same "flow" as the rest of the session. It makes the players more willing to incorporate the rest of the dungeon instead of subconsciously labeling the room they're in as the "fight room". Just having initiative up constantly, even if they're not necessarily moving their speed in rounds or taking note of how long certain actions take, makes combat less of a distinct, special mode that needs set up and activation and so happens more often.
>>
>>53123636
been considering it, but definitely not until after finals. That place is a hell of a timesink.

Battlemaster. He's got rally, so it's helping a bit, and Parry is keeping him alive a bit more.

Other than him and the Life Cleric, we have a GOO Bladelock, and I'm running a wizard. The Cleric is level 5, the rest of us are level 4.

Things will probably be a bit better, since I just swapped from Sorc to Wizard, so I have more actually useful spells.
>>
>>53123663
Do it.
Dual wield lances, call them talons.
>>
File: enough.png (65KB, 295x390px) Image search: [Google]
enough.png
65KB, 295x390px
>>53123426
99% of homebrew is retarded overpowered snowflake crap made by people wanting to play anime characters. No, potential designers, your's is not any different. No, you are not good enough to see through your own biases and favoritism.

Anything that doesn't fit into an existing class or can't be made with very slight tweaks to an existing class probably doesn't belong in the game. Fucking deal with it.
>>
>>53123692
>wanting to play anime characters
You now realize that the legends of Cu Culainn and the Eight Immortals are beyond 99% of anime characters.
>>
File: ThesePartiesAreSoFake.png (148KB, 264x322px) Image search: [Google]
ThesePartiesAreSoFake.png
148KB, 264x322px
Looking forward to the next UA?

...oh...right...
>>
>>53123690
This is actually going to be awesome. I could go Bugbear for maximum meme but starting with V.Human for Dual-Wielder might be better.
>>
>>53123321
I'm in two different 5e games where this class is being used. It's not bad, but I'd rather just play a monk and reflavor the ki pool to be bursts of adrenaline instead. It's how I'm playing a monk in yet another campaign, and I'm really enjoying it.
>>
File: classic sad pepe yotsuba blue.png (35KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
classic sad pepe yotsuba blue.png
35KB, 490x490px
>>53123712
>>
>>53123426
i just want to play as a mind flayer psionicist or savant but my group is apparently 'not ready for it' and inconsistent about their content selection and legality. it's weird because we've been playing 5e for about a year now, on a pretty regular basis, but as two out of our 4 campaigns were abruptly ended due to circumstances, current dm is pretending to take it all super safe and by the book (except when convenient, as always) and i can't say i'm having the greatest of times.

i'd personally allow pretty much anything in my table when dm'ing if the players show enough dedication to their cause. if they are making a pretty pdf in homebrewery or searching up canon setting places to fit their characters, and i can see them not trying to warp the story on them, they can have it.
>>
>>53123426
The way I see it is, you either understand the system and how it balances well, in which case you don't need to share it because anybody else who understands the system and the balance of it could arrive at the same conclusions on their own. They don't need yours, you don't need theirs, go ahead and throw it into your own game if you want.

Or, you don't understand the system or how it balances, and so the people who do don't wanna see your homebrew, and the other people who don't are just going to wreck their game if they use it. So also don't share it. Chances are they're coming up with their own broken thing to include in their own game themselves.
>>
File: 1455523910410.jpg (214KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
1455523910410.jpg
214KB, 600x620px
>>53123426
>TFW I immediately mute the "homebrew" channels of any 5E chatrooms I'm in.
>>
>>53123712
too soon, anon, too soon... ;;
>>
File: Absolutely disgusting.gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely disgusting.gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>53123745
>Psionics outside of the Dark Sun setting.
>>
>>53123687
Is there a reason the Fighter has less AC than the Cleric? Is he just not using a shield? Wearing lighter armor? Either way, if they're putting themselves in harm's way, War Caster probably wouldn't go amiss on the Cleric which just makes Concentration-based survivability spells more attractive. Of course, as always there's also solid options like Hold Person if they wanna take spells that are a little more killy.

Good luck to your Bladelock, though. Ours was basically completely unhappy with his class until he took some levels in Paladin to prop it up a bit.
>>
File: 21f1428b73fe4757a37cdaba8aff8e60.jpg (456KB, 1229x1536px) Image search: [Google]
21f1428b73fe4757a37cdaba8aff8e60.jpg
456KB, 1229x1536px
>>53123765
i'm sorry, i can't help it.
>>
>>53123598
Jesus, that all sounds terrifying to be in a party with. "Hey guys, here's the next town. Do you think maybe we chuck a sheet over Brundleflydude or will his ugly ass be accepted at face value?"

I think it's just a matter of not going to nuts with the whole "unique" aspects. Like you can totally be a reincarnated silver dragon who is a base class Wizard but grows wings and shit, but you just fluff that as "Cast Fly, grows wings".
>>
>>53122531
Party beats deadly encounter with ease. Well no shit smarty pants.
The idea is to throw few encounters between long rests.
Fighting a single pit fiend? A joke.
Fighting a pit fiend after fighting elf rangers, bone devils, cultist that have redied action spell behind the door, acid pits, flame spewers? Thats terrifying.
>>
>>53123775
Lighter armor, and Greatsword.

Cleric has War Caster.

Bladelock is having a pretty fun time so far. He knows he's sub-optimal, but he doesn't mind. Honestly, he saved my ass in our last encounter. Took aggro on some trash while I pulled distance and flung spells.

Oh, we also have a fifth player, but I'm not... really sure what class he is. Long story short, since I was given the opportunity to swap from Sorc to Wiz, everyone else got the same option to swap stuff around. Apparently he decided to minmax, and not tell us what class he swapped to, and get amnesia, and run outside of the building we were in and trigger something alone that the DM meant for us to trigger all together.

tl;dr: Dude probably isn't gonna be whatever class he is right now for much longer. I'm hoping next sessions starts with him getting slaughtered.
>>
>>53123663
A STR saving throw against what? If it's my STR that's gonna be an 18DC base.
>>
File: laughing.gif (933KB, 200x137px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.gif
933KB, 200x137px
>>53123794
>Jesus, that all sounds terrifying to be in a party with. "Hey guys, here's the next town. Do you think maybe we chuck a sheet over Brundleflydude or will his ugly ass be accepted at face value?"

teehee

Honestly it wasn't TOO monstrous of a race. Looked kind of like some of the cuter artwork of mothman.

But yeah most effects on these custom races are just lifted right from pre-existing mechanics. Anything else would be a headache to accommodate.
>>
>>53123817
I imagine it's the same as Battlemaster saves. All weapons got stuff like tripping, strangling, stunning, blinding, shield-breaking, armour piercing, pinning shots and more. I don't know the name of the supplement sadly.
>>
>>53123832
Beyond Damage Dice
>>
File: 1492843845468.png (433KB, 964x792px) Image search: [Google]
1492843845468.png
433KB, 964x792px
Doing a cute little maybe longer adventure about PCs getting invited by a bunch of random druids to join them on their stag-do in the woods, thinking of doing a % "How fucked did you get?" chart for the morning after.

This is what I got so far

>Swapped races with another player
>Gender swapped (secondary % to see if it's just the top that's changed)
>Have Satyr legs
>Holding a powerful and mysterious artifact that pulses periodically
>Can see auras (this one seems kinda lame)
>Wake up next to a bear that is still asleep and spooning with you
>Have flowers growing out your back
>Animal companion gained
>Skin turned a strange other colour
>Covered in berries of unknown origin; grow or shrink one size (I'll say this doesn't affect ability to wield heavy weapons unless positive)
>Words and symbols you can't understand have been tattooed over your body

Any other suggestions lads?
>>
Why is a feat required for charging?
>>
>>53123894
It's not, the book intends you as a player to do things like that but doesn't give you hard rules. Ask your DM.
I would let you
>move ten feet in a straight line
>hit with an attack
>target makes a strength saving throw or get knocked prone
I would not let you
>take dash action then get a bonus action attack
>add five damage
unless you took the feat.
>>
>>53122964
You multiply like a fag and your math's all retarded.
>>
>>53122975
It's obviously ranger, but whatever.
>>
>>53123811
Well, as long as he's having fun. Our Warlock hasn't been useless or anything, but he didn't really feel impactful until he took some levels in Paladin for some low-level utility slots and Smites. For the Cleric though I'd recommend you just go over the Cleric spell list and start asking them if they've prepared certain spells.
>>
Anyone here had experience with 3.5e(?)'s Savage Species or monstrous races+ classes in general?

Part of me likes the idea of race exclusive classes or subclasses, like bladesingers, but I understand it's not quite the mentality for 5e.
>>
>>53123885
Here's a suggestion. How about you leave your fetishes where they belong, in your mind.
>>
File: 1387012133142.jpg (264KB, 626x999px) Image search: [Google]
1387012133142.jpg
264KB, 626x999px
Can I get some good stories of Elf characters?

I'm making a Wood Elf Ranger for a campaign and I want some good examples so I don't make anything terrible. I'm more interested in character\personality than mechanics
>>
>>53122422
Sounds fine with me.
>>
File: 1478450864354.jpg (13KB, 302x192px) Image search: [Google]
1478450864354.jpg
13KB, 302x192px
>>53124191
>Weird ideas must be fetishes! xdd
>>
>>53124222
How do you want it?
Like background and all or?
>>
>>53124227
>All fighter can do is attack and maybe action surge and second wind and maybe he'll get indomitable
>Wizard can do all sorts of crazy shit, in and out of combat
>How come a cantrip is weaker than a fighter's attack?
>>
>>53124222
I made a character once for an old setting called Birthright. He was a wood elf from a highly militaristic society that once led "Wild Hunts" against human settlements for a racial vendetta whose origin no one remembers anymore. Led by King Manslayer, my elf ranger was a tracker in the recon force tasked with ferreting out any outlanders. He got his start as an adventurer when an expedition went horribly wrong, and he ended up in the Underdark equivalent alone...until he saw some human knights and mages, who would be his party members. Lost and with nary a day's trail rations, my guy decided to temporarily put his racial grudge on hold and work with these people as a guide. Over time, he did numerous activities with them like share survival stories and techniques. These commonalities helped him see that elves and humans are not so different.

Unoriginal, I know.
>>
File: asdasd.png (444KB, 773x1000px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.png
444KB, 773x1000px
>>53124265

In any fashion, greentext included. I have no experience playing elves and I've noticed that there is a spectrum between LotR to bishonen fapbait, and my first impulse is to draw off Witcher, so I have no idea whats a good idea and whats not.

>>53124273
Thats cool. Ill take your word for it if you think its unoriginal, but it sounds very grounded to me, and thats kinda what im trying to go toward.
>>
>>53124132
I played a vampire spawn from the Savage Species online supplement, back when Wizards liked giving out free stuff. 8 class levels spread across 5HD, and being 3.5 undead, no Con, d8 HD, and bad Fort saves made him pretty fragile.

He was a strong melee guy, and had charm gaze (which I boosted with the Improved Ability feats) and lots of social skills, but was otherwise too frail for a stand-up fight. As a vampire spawn, he couldn't actually die from HP damage, only the vampire weaknesses, but getting reduced to 0 HP was a bitch that stopped the adventure dead because he had to gaseous form to his coffin with 2 miles.
>>
What does action surge actually do? Just give you another attack action?
>>
>>53124317
Another action. So if you're level five that's another two attacks, or else whatever else you can do with an action.
>>
>>53124270
I meant the part where we may as well paly 4e
>>
File: 1482543210744.jpg (177KB, 999x1308px) Image search: [Google]
1482543210744.jpg
177KB, 999x1308px
>>53124317
It gives you another action, if you have extra attacks then the new attack action would proc them too
>>
>>53122408
There's nothing that prevents you from just using the sahuagin for the malenti, the claw and bite attacks are also relevant because they portray the fact that something is off about that peculiar sea elf.
>>
File: Infants.jpg (75KB, 496x650px) Image search: [Google]
Infants.jpg
75KB, 496x650px
Tips for making an infantryman PC?
>>
>>53124296
Wood elves are freedom loving outdoor people who don't take well to bullshit.
Play them like cowboys.

Since they are the best race for Monks i usually play them as a sort of West-xia Neutral Good character.
Do good when they can and it doesn't affect them too much.
Don't get tied down by tiresome stuff like oppinions of people you don't care about etc.

Read the entry on Wood elves in the PHB and setting books.
They are the dissilusined elves who built their own society anew after seeing high elven society crumble in degeneracy.
>>
>>53124336
Nothing wrong with playing a different system, but it's not what 5e was intended for.
>>
File: Backstory 1.png (158KB, 1320x800px) Image search: [Google]
Backstory 1.png
158KB, 1320x800px
>>53124222
>>
File: dorf.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dorf.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>53124222
You should hug trees, eat bark and cut butter with your knife ear, you treehugging barkeating knife-ear piece of shite!

also check'd'st've
>>
>>53124296
Here's mine:

>multiclassed Shadow Monk/Hunter Conclave Ranger UA
Backstory:
>Grew up with his parrents and younger sister in a town bordering human and elven settlements.
>Parrents died when they were both young.
>He entered a monastery to raise and protect his sister.
>The Human son of the Chief of the monastery is a dickweed who abuses his position to fuck with commoners and decides he wants the little sister.
>Standard wuxia revengance plot where everything spirals out of control and both the sister and dickweed end up dead.
>Has to flee because the chief of the monastery wants him dead.
>Becomes a bountyhunter waiting for a chance for revenge.
>Cue DM inserts him as a guy we have to cooperate with to stop the greater evil.
>Have to fiddle my way through this shit and end up changing from Neutral Good to Neutral Evil after i torture his ass and torch down the monastery thus retiering the character to make him a new Evil boss for another campaign.
>>
>refuse to ever play a tiefling because demons have always been my #1 fap material and I know it'll eventually end up being a personal magical realm
help
>>
>>53124350
GWF, PAM, Sentinel and pick up a Glaive.
>>
>>53124430
It's not truly a magical realm if nobody can tell you're getting off to it.
>>
>>53124273
holy shit, you say unoriginal, but i say that's a fairly new take to the main trope of the neutral elves.
Reminds me of the Witcher's books.
>>
>>53124430
Play a tiefling eunuch. Use the variant abyssal tiefling from UA for the Con bonus and lolsorandom spells to keep yourself on your toes, and hopefully your mind out of the gutter.

Alternatively, seek help. I'm worried about you, my nigga.
>>
>>53122531
Have them fight giants.

How are up finding 5e as a system?
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 636x456px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 636x456px
Anyone played a Battlerager Barb, Dwarf or no? Was it fun?
>>
>>53123306
>>53123662
Don't be insufferable little shits.

>>53123712
What's the deal with the UAs?
>>
>>53124222
>Welf Moon Druid/Warlock of the Fey
>Obsessed with the MOON
>Thinks it's fucking gorgeous and he wants to touch it
>Makes a bargain with a Fey god for the power to reach the moon
>This manifests in the power of a magical bow that can shoot forever if you keep willing the arrow to fly
>Can't work out how to be on the arrow after he shoots it
>No one else can use the bow
>Curses the Fey for their tricks
>Spends the next 200 years fucking with the Fey, hunting down Fey creatures and killing them as revenge
>Over this time the forest gets a reputation as a really safe place from the normie-villagers who live nearby
>Sometimes they catch glimpses of a naked elf running around the forest, alight with a silver glow like the moon
>Party comes across him when journeying for some quest macguffin
>He is slightly crazy and when they ask for his help in killing a magical beast, he agrees because he doesn't understand there's more to life than the MOON and the Fey
>After finding mcguffin they ask him to come along with them, as he proved very useful with his shapeshifting and archery
>He doesn't play well with others at first, and they are a bit weirded out by his naked moon dancing every night
>He asks them to help with his quest in return for helping with theirs
>Months pass, the party has travelled far and wide to find the things needed to destroy the magical beast plaguing the kingdom they started in
>Welf is high a lot, naked a lot, prancing a lot
>Party has come to accept his as a friend and brother
>They square off against monster, a hideous man-made conglomerate of a dragon, a kraken and a something else I've forgotten, it was ugly and big
>So big when night falls it blocks out the moon
>Welf loses his shit
>Arrows for days, climbs it as a bear, mauls it
>Takes two days of combat to defeat the thing
>Welf gets wounded badly during this time, dying from bloodloss
>No one has spells left to save him
cont
>>
>>53124480

http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Elves_Cerilian

Really, it's not. It's a typical Birthright elf, but with that thing in the Gundam franchise where the good guy and bad guy are forced to see eachother as not so different. I...basically ran out of ideas.
>>
File: tumblr_nqmlebh37p1rbs4u9o1_500.jpg (71KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqmlebh37p1rbs4u9o1_500.jpg
71KB, 500x333px
>>53124353

Can I get an opinion on what I've got so far?
>Wood Elf who in youth was a bit too impatient and reckless, which was sort of weird for elves
>ended up almost dying to an owlbear
>was saved by some monster hunter adventurers
>now older and more seasoned, he tries to temper his impatience with discipline, while approaching problems from all sides
>impatience and reckless action is still something he does when he doesn't have time to think things through
>likes to travel, enjoys camaraderie, shared meals and stories, crackling campfires
>if people depend on him, he doesn't want to let them down by doing something stupid without thinking about it

>part of a faction of witcher style monster hunters, organized like a militant knight order
>character is lawful good alignment
>build idea is to be a special forces commando, with lots of skills and useful abilities for a number of different situations
>tooled as both a ranged and melee combatant, but more maneuver warfare then the two party tanks
>shitty social skills, an ugly face wound, and a chip on his shoulder
>UA Ranger\Monster Slayer\Faction Agent BG

Mechanics wise, I noticed that Slayers Eye and Hunters Mark combo pretty well (+2d6 Damage every attack)

But I figure this character will fit in well with the current group
>explorer triton samurai who has no idea how the surface world society works
>happy go lucky tabaxi artificer with a gun who also has no idea how society works, and gets into wacky hijinx
>gruff but caring grizzled cleric of ilmater who is growing grey hairs over all the wacky hijinx

>>53124385
>>53124427

I really like these
>>
>>53124519
>As he lays there, his vision fading, he aims the bow at the moon one last time
>Focuses all his will into the arrow
>Fires it
>As he does, the Goddess of the Moon reaches out, drawing his soul from the dying body and placing it on the arrow
>Due to celestial movements the Welf knew nothing about, the arrow misses the moon by some few thousand kilometers
>He's still travelling through space, hoping to hit the moon someday
>Moon goddess and Fey god who Welf made pact with have sensible chuckle at his single minded determination
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>53124510
Don't be insufferable trying to justify why your character can punch people through solid metal armor without magic.
>>
So what exactly counts as Fey in 5e? I don't have to worry about Turn the Faithless turning my Eladrin party member, do I?
>>
>>53124506
I did it because I found that the damage output while raging was on a par with Polearm Master builds, yet you can still use a shield. I forgot my starting ability scores, but I believe at level 1 my AC was already 18, and at level 3, my damage per round was (d8+5)+(d4+5).
>>
>>53124529
As good as any backstory.

Elves are by definition carefree so it's not just young elves who do reckless shit.

Monster slayer only nets you a 1d6 damage boost against your target.
Favoured enemy grants you +2 damage at lvl 1 and +4 at lvl 6.
>>
>>53124550
Fey Ancestry is not the same as actual Fey typing. You've nothing to worry about, my nigga.
>>
>>53124565
I didn't think so, but it pays to make sure. That said, what DOES it work on? Fiends are fairly straightforward, but Fey is a little more ambiguous.
>>
>>53124562
>Monster slayer only nets you a 1d6 damage boost against your target.
>Favoured enemy grants you +2 damage at lvl 1 and +4 at lvl 6.

Add in Hunters Mark spell
>You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn o f yours to mark a new creature.
>>
>>53124335
>>53124342
Thanks bros, if you give it as an ability of a monster do you need to specify the action gain?
>>
>>53124540
Don't be insufferable trying to act like there's something inherently wrong with somebody else's concept and not just you getting upset because you feel upstaged because you choose to use a sword.
>>
File: 1456309275341.jpg (63KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456309275341.jpg
63KB, 720x720px
>>53124616
And yet that's exactly what you're doing.
>>
Question does Divine Sense/Detect Good and Evil ping if someone's actually evil or just undead,fiends,aberrations and what not?

Like if there's a neutral mindflayer and a Paladin tried sensing it, he would ping as evil right?
>>
File: Alignments are retarded 2.jpg (633KB, 2048x1639px) Image search: [Google]
Alignments are retarded 2.jpg
633KB, 2048x1639px
>>53124643
Depends on the DM, most DMs with any common sense agree that Alignments were a mistake and alignment-detecting abilities only work on positive/negative magic rather than actual personality.
>>
>>53124576
Fey are an extremely diverse lot. All you really have to go on is what monsters have that category listed on their write-up.
>>
>>53124623
Couldn't be, that's my first post in this thread.
Never heard of someone playing an unarmed combatant in a game getting mad about swords also being effective, either.
>>
I want to make a cleric of Kord and eventually end up as a cleric/barbarian but I'm not sure what to start as and when to switch as multiclassing is fairly new to me. What class should I start as and what would be the optimal time to switch over to the other class.
>>
>>53124435
Well I already did that, but I'm going with a pike instead of a glaive for RP reasons

It makes me realize how surprisingly hard it is to have humble beginnings; 5e turns you superhuman so fast
>>
Is it stupid to have a villain imagine himself ascending to godhood with such determination that a godlike entity of himself spawns in the astral plane and gives him great powers?
>>
>>53124673
Damn, you're not kidding. That's quite a list. Thanks anyways.
>>
>>53124729
If you use 3.5e's Demigods splatbook a god needs to have a portfolio and X number of followers. I guess if the guy's mind is somehow worth 1000 normal minds you could kind of bend it to making him count as 1000 worshippers?
>>
>>53124836
The villain's mortal form would spend most of the campaign in the background gaining political power and followers, concreting his own idea of being some sort of god

Basically my idea is the more "powerful" the villain is in the material world, the more solid the connection to the astral counterpart or something along those lines
>>
>>53124855
Honestly you can just houserule it as "the more political influence and the more sure of himself you let him get the more levels and feats I stack onto him", I'd play it to be honest.
>>
>>53124585
Here's a question about MS for Hunter. Superiority die - do you just add +8 as it's a d8? Or do you have to roll the d8?
>>
>>53124862
Nice, will definitely try to build towards that throughout the campaign then. Leaves a lot of room for improvisation too depending on how the party acts throughout the campaign.

It will be fun to see how they try to approach a villain who could turn potentially entire cities against them. Maybe they end up doing more damage than the actual villain.
>>
>>53124430
Play a tiefling nun who is part succubus and has to resist her own urges.
>>
>>53124970
I can fap to this
>>
>>53124529
>faction of witcher style monster hunters
at that point i would rather say to use the bloodhunter with the mutant subclass but the hunter is a decent choice too.
It's just for fluff reason, although i my game mutant bloodhunters are only humans, just like the Witchers.
>>
Is Elemental Evil canon?
>>
File: 1431538890252.jpg (267KB, 1239x644px) Image search: [Google]
1431538890252.jpg
267KB, 1239x644px
>>53125050

Well, I'm still working on detailing this faction, and while I use the term "witcher like" its more to describe them as mercenaries who travel as itinerants to specifically hunt monsters for wage - not so much that members are sterile alchemical mutants who always get laid.

Its sort of a weird mix of Knight Order, Boer Commando, spy network, with scribes researching monsters and writing in-setting monster manuals
>>
File: 1428468605857.jpg (3MB, 5400x9000px) Image search: [Google]
1428468605857.jpg
3MB, 5400x9000px
>>53125085

I forgot to add, I'm having a hard time coming up with a name for this Faction, and my original idea (Order of Steel) wasn't appealing to my GM.

Anyone have any good ideas? I can also drop the detail i've written up, if anyone is interested
>>
>>53123765
>Not being a wild talent that became a master of the invisible art roamimg Faerûn.
It's like you didn't even read everything in close to 30 years of sometimes contradictory setting material.
>>
File: Reaction Army Tanker Derp.png (607KB, 513x739px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction Army Tanker Derp.png
607KB, 513x739px
>>53122444
They're in VGM, the Tritons.
>>
How's this? Y/N?

Action Surge (Recharge 5-6). X can take two actions this turn.

Seems rather gamey.
>>
>>53124385
Source on the elf in the picture?
>>
>>53125085
Just gonna kindly point out that the videogames are 70% non canon, yes geralt gets laid, but that is literally around 50 pages of the whole saga which is around 7 books of at least 300 pages each (some come around 700). Also Geralt gets laid because he's not a true witcher, in the sense that his trial of the herbs didn't go completely well and he retained human emotions and needs. Also Witchers are some of the most educated beings in the known world in the lore, they study many topic of knowledge, philosophy included.

Beside the nerdtalk i understand what you mean.
>>
>>53125198
>2 fighter/18 some full caster
>cast 2 spells a turn
yay
>>
>>53125100
what about the "sect of silver"

members of this faction are identified by a band of silver with some inscribed insignia
>>
>>53125254
Better not be a concentration spell.
That's not too imbalanced.
>>
>>53125100
search for some nordic or slavic or any other ancient looking language (old turkish is cool as fuck too) dictionary only and look for a fancy world nect to 'guild' or 'order'
>>
>>53125198
Get rid of the recharge and replave it with once per short rest. Then its probably fine.
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (127KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
127KB, 1280x720px
>>53125240
It's from Dungeon Meshi.
>>
>>53125278
Not him but what's the issue with having it as a recharge ability? Entirely too overpowered?
>>
>>53125302
It'd make fighter a bit better and make a 2 level dip into fighter super good for anyone
>>
>>53125312
I feel like he's designing a feat for a monster or evil npc, not a pc
>>
>>53125302
Pretty much. Being able to potentially cast fireball twice in one turn two turns in a row or attack 4 times over and over is kinda crazy. That and action surge is a short rest recharge in the hands of a fighter for a good reason.
>>
File: IMG_4995.jpg (84KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4995.jpg
84KB, 640x480px
>>53124222
>Wood Elf Wisdom Rogue, cuz I like the ranger background but not the class
>Character has a Rincewindian attitude to adventure. First session they showed up, saw the band of ragtag misfits forming around them and tried to make a break for it. Got caught up anyway and resigned themselves to adventure
>Apart from this, Character is like Legolas' inbred hillbilly cousin
>comes from the forest of Ll'ar'gaw'enha, which is elvish for Nasty Shit with Huge Teeth that Tries to Eat Us (truly elvish is a beautiful and complex language)
>is tall and thin, like elves, but on them it is more gawky and awkward than beauteous or graceful
>uses their mundane wooden longbow rather than any of the slick magical weapons they find in their travels because the bow is a finely-crafted hand-me-down that's over 300 years old and half the magical weapons seem like they'd explode disastrously if they were ever used and the other half are cursed
>is a complete Luddite who thinks merchants are contemptible tricksters who manipulate the economic system they created by buying goods for a few golden suns and then selling them for far more, allowing them to survive by profiting from the works of others rather than contributing anything to the tribe on their own
>once sat in horseshit for a whole day to spy on an inn with a sketchy merchant in it. He now travels with this merchant and very much wants to kill him (because the merchant is a GMPC warlock who effortlessly walks through any trap or ambush without helping anyone else)

Liked this character so much I payed Jillian of Midgard for a custom character sheet
>>
File: 1spell1cant.png (231KB, 615x866px) Image search: [Google]
1spell1cant.png
231KB, 615x866px
>>53125254
>>53125264
>>
>>53122690
>>53122650
If you pick way of the open hand, the only magical stuff is tranquility and quivering palm.
>>
File: sad_Dungeon_Master.png (745KB, 963x685px) Image search: [Google]
sad_Dungeon_Master.png
745KB, 963x685px
>>53125355
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/04/17/action-surge-spell-3/
>>
>>53125278
>>53125312
>>53125322
Yeah, true that, will consider changing it to being recharged through a short rest.

>>53125319
Yeah, it was meant to be given to be a monster and not necessarily the PCs.
>>
>>53125467
Hmmm...

Guess my Sorc needs a couple fighter levels then...
>>
>>53125058
Yeah. As part of the storyline, D&D Adventurers League released some adventures set in Mulmaster. The EE cults destroy it, causing the Moonsea refugee crisis that happens in Rage of Demons.
>>
>>53122422
>4e
>Wizard dealing as much damage as a fighter

Nope
>>
Jackie Chan Rogue Subclass (Monk is too mystical)
3 - Improved Acrobatics - Acrobatics skill checks do not use extra movement. From now on you can add your Proficiency bonus to your AC.

9 - Ladder Fu - Proficiency with improvised weapons. If you are holding an improvised weapon you may use a reaction to attack someone attacking you. if you hit, they have disadvantage on attacks rolls until your next turn and allies have advantage on attacks made against them. Using this ability causes you to drop the improvised weapon.

13 - From Out Of Nowhere - While holding an improvised weapon you can use it to hide an attack. You may make a second attack in a round and apply 1/2 of your normal sneak attack dice to this attack, even if you have already used your sneak attack ability.

17 - Don't Want Any Trouble - Babies count as improvised weapons. Whil weilding an improvised weapon, if you would have to make a save, make an Acrobatics skill check instead. You have advantage on this roll. You do not take fall damage.

r8
>>
>>53125561
10/10, would play.
>>
>>53125561
You're a moron, but not bad
>>
>>53125561
>Babies count as improvised weapons
kek
>>
>>53125614
Here's the problem though, babies would count as improvised weapons anyway.

A better bonus would being proficient in babies.
>>
>>53125650
I legitimately don't think they do, unless baugettes count as improvised weapons in the hands of anyone but de Gaulle.
>>
File: 734878437.png (3MB, 1269x2167px) Image search: [Google]
734878437.png
3MB, 1269x2167px
>>53125240
Originally from Pixiv, not sure the artist though.
>>
>>53125666
Bread is an improvised weapon, Asmodeus.
Maybe baguettes have reach when wielded by de Gaulle?
>>
File: 1494106929318.jpg (118KB, 1063x752px) Image search: [Google]
1494106929318.jpg
118KB, 1063x752px
How would you do horror in 5e?
>>
>>53125681
But how? Bread is literally softer than your fist.
>>
>>53125667
The page 403's on me now, but this is where I got it originally

http://i4.pixiv.net/img-original/img/2015/02/21/22/10/23/48885411_p0.png
>>
>>53125666
To quote the phb: "An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin."

So yes a baguette could also count as an improvised weapon.
>>
>>53125686
Well, bread does 1d4, so your fists may need some baking.
>>
>>53125686
Technically, rules as written, a blowpipe does more damage when used as a stick then it does for blowing a needle.

Things are fucked up.

(In this instance, I'd declare a baguette to be similar to an unarmed strike, so only 1 point of damage.

Babies can still be 1d4.)
>>
>>53125723
1d4 Negative energy damage from the sheer despair?
>>
>>53125735
1d4 sonic damage as a mind-affecting ability because babies never shut the fuck up and make you want to kill yourself.
>>
>>53125695
>So yes a baguette could also count as an improvised weapon.

Only if it's Dwarven Made (tm).
>>
>>53125735
That'd be psychic damage.

Which could work. Other fun ones would be acid or poison (have you seen babies?) or thunder (have you heard them?)

But most realistic would probably be bludgeoning, and have them count as a club. (So you could dual wield babies)
>>
>>53125753
muh chaotic evil
>>
>>53125753
>>53125757
How about baby armor?
>>
>>53125749
Dwarf Bread isn't an improvised weapon though.
>>
File: Dwarven made™.png (907KB, 721x559px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarven made™.png
907KB, 721x559px
>>53125749
>>53125768
>>
>>53125757
Are you claiming Jackie Chan is evil?
>>
>>53125757
If they are Orc babies then chaotic good.
>>
If you can action surge twice because of 17th level, does this mean you get three actions in total?
>>
>>53125796
You can action surge 1/turn I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>53125782
I like how dorfs being godlike smiths is basically a nordic meme and somehow it turned into a meme for all fantasy ever
iirc the actual historical basis is speculated to be something like gallics or greeks showing up and teaching them how to smith at some point
>>
File: pointless.jpg (18KB, 539x81px) Image search: [Google]
pointless.jpg
18KB, 539x81px
Why do Tridents exist?
>>
>>53125812
To be looted from evilfishmenwhosenameican'tspell and sold.
>>53125807
It be a good meme.
>>
File: mindfuck campaign.jpg (549KB, 1905x1413px) Image search: [Google]
mindfuck campaign.jpg
549KB, 1905x1413px
>>53125684
>>
>>53125812
muh roleplaying
Also aren't there a couple of really special river/ocean related item activation conditions you absolutely need to have a trident to use?

>spears are simple
This never fails to make me ree, no spears are simple to use IN FORMATION.

>>53125836
Elves are even more sues though, because while not everything good is elven work everything that is elven is 110% good. Also, in the myths they were actual gods.
>>
>>53125812
So that you can kill three really thin enemies at the same time.
>>
>>53125803
Well that sucks balls.
>>
>>53125862
What'd suck real balls is having a nova turn with a baseline of 12 attacks.

Fuck, 8 is already ridiculous.
>>
File: 1390693875936.gif (945KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1390693875936.gif
945KB, 250x141px
>>53125812

My GM buffed them to 1d8\1d10
>>
>>53125803
But you'll get it twice? so two actions per turn if at 17th and beyond?
>>
>>53125854
>Also aren't there a couple of really special river/ocean related item activation conditions you absolutely need to have a trident to use?

There are?

>no spears are simple to use IN FORMATION
How often do formations come up in your games? Because if the answer is "frequently" I'm going to be jealous.
>>
>>53125911
>How often do formations come up in your games? Because if the answer is "frequently" I'm going to be jealous.
Honestly quite a lot but here rears the perilous head of missing a comma. "No, spears are easy to use IN FORMATION" is what I meant.
>>
>>53125902
Two actions for the first 2 turns, yes.
>>
>>53125846
This is fucking great. Thanks heaps.

>>53125944
Sweet, cheers brah.
>>
File: DADT page 12.jpg (21KB, 193x271px) Image search: [Google]
DADT page 12.jpg
21KB, 193x271px
>>53125667
>>53125691
Awesome dude, thank you.
>>
File: esca.jpg (143KB, 556x1000px) Image search: [Google]
esca.jpg
143KB, 556x1000px
Not really sure where this goes, I've been looking stuff up, reading the stuff in the OP and even watching videos from some youtubers. Long story short, I'm gonna be playing my first ever game on Friday. I met some pretty cool guys at work and we found out we were in similar divisions (military fags, I'm Med, they're armyfags)
Anyway, we're gonna be playing on Friday Night. Like I said, it's my first time. And although I've looked up a bunch of shit, and I told them I haven't played before, they said they'd help me out and guide me.
But I still wanna get some tips from you guys just in case.

They told me to stick to what I know when I create a character, now I'm a huge /a/fag, so I figured I'd play a character based on a character I like from a Manga. Specifically, Escanor, who gains power from the Sun, is strong(physically) as fuck, Throws Mini Suns at people and Uses a Huge Axe. Pic related.
Would this be okay, or should I choose someone more grounded in reality?

Any other tips would be appreciated.
>>
File: Sorting Hat.jpg (37KB, 612x344px) Image search: [Google]
Sorting Hat.jpg
37KB, 612x344px
>>53126105
SUN SOUL MONK.
Or paladin.
>>
>>53126105
Escanor is based.
But probably set your goals a little lower. And also a little higher, as an adventurer can do pretty remarkable feats on even a bad day.

Paladins can simulate the amazing/useless dichotomy pretty well by burning every smite in a single encounter, and relating your magic to the sun should be fairly easy.

Also don't actually play the character wholesale. It's okay to be inspired, but adjust goals, background, personality, etc. according to what makes sense in your game.
>>
>>53126105
Oh man, I need to read the manga for Seven Deadly Sins. I saw it on netflix and thought it looked cool but now i'm hooked and want the purest form.
>>
>>53122421

I'm considering a setting where dragons are replaced by wolves. In other words, wolves are the terrifying, semi-mystical apex predators that can easily serve as metaphors for evil and greed.
>>
>>53122421
They're sort of primally related to humanity, but are still a sort of natural pure ferocity. It's sort of like the animal version of berserkers, along with bears. I suppose that's why Barbarians can have them as a totem animal.
>>
How much shit would break if I made a character a "proper" revenant and changed their creature type to undead?
Immunity to hold person and such for starters. Good bye to most healing spells and get ready to run from paladins. Anything else?
>>
>>53122323
How do you submit shit for the Trove?
>>
>>53123043
That 5e eberron website is a godsend though, helps you not have to build from thin air. Also like the Artificer from there a lot more.
>>
>>53122713
Already am, just wish there were stores where I am so could buy the actual books.
>>
File: 1444769657289.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1444769657289.gif
2MB, 448x252px
>>53122421

Same reason /tg/ went through that obsession with bears and Dwarves, anon.
>>
File: 1374931724186.jpg (19KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1374931724186.jpg
19KB, 413x395px
>>53126290

But that's wrong, you big silly. Wolves are not the semi-mythical apex predator that taught Humanity to fear the darkness. Those were the big cats, like tigers and lions and panthers.

Wolves are more the predatory equal to Humanity, the eponymous "Other" or "Them" that is both competing for the same resources and living space whilst having absolutely nothing physiologically in common with Humanity other than their tendency to form packs and engage in primitive tactics. The wolf is not something Humanity fears, the wolf is something Humanity hates.
>>
>>53126637
Hmm, where is this?
>>
>>53126688
Anon, the guy said he was swapping dragons out for them. I don't think reality matters too much.
>>
>>53126290
Why wolves? Wolves are literally so non-threatening as an entity they need to come in groups and a well-built fit adult human has a good chance of making one fuck off, possibly just by standing up and shouting loudly. Bears, predatory cats, or something similar makes far more sense. Fuck's sake bears were so fucking terrifying to people that apparently just speaking their name became a curse of sorts, a forbidden word to be substituted like how kids use "heck" for "hell" or how we say "passed away" instead of "died" - the word Bear derives from the PIE word for it, Bher, which literally means "The Brown One". Just fucking think about that. We don't call bears bears, because then a bear might show up. No, there's an entire species we simply call The Brown Ones.
>>
>>53126688
But I already statted up a black wolf the size of a house that lives in swamps and animates carrion as undead with its howls.
>>
>>53126772
Why not geese? The true terrors of the land, sea and air.
>>
>>53126802
Rabbits are good if they're just landbased
Or boars if you don't want to be ironic
>>
Hang on, Mastery of Force.

>Grasp (3 psi; conc., 1 min.). You attempt to grasp a creature in telekinetic energy and hold it captive. As an action, choose one creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be grappled by you until your concentration ends or until the target leaves your reach, which is 60 feet for this grapple.

>The grappled target can escape by succeeding on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by your psionic ability plus your proficiency bonus. When a target attempts to escape in this way, you can spend psi points to boost your check, abiding by your psi limit. You gain a +1 bonus per psi point spent.

So it's my Discipline save DC first and then to escape is Int (full stat) + proficiency, right?
>>
Best options for CR2 wild shape?
>>
>>53126836
I'd assume it works like every other one in the book 8+proficiency+mod
>>
>>53126857
I thought so at first, but the wording is specific and different. Also, it's a contest.

Wait, now I get it. I just roll Int + proficiency bonus against his roll.
>>
>>53126900
So it's like if you had "Intelligence (Athletics)" and wrassle with your brain power?
>>
>>53126938
Yes.
It's pretty much that.
See? This is why you play a Mystic.
You actually use Int for stuff.
>>
Should we remake Dark Sun into 5E? Currently conversions are let's face it shit. Even fucking Pathfinder has a good conversation.
>>
>>53126978
Phone or aneurysm?
>>
>>53126688
Go at night in the woods infested with wolves and tell how much you don't fear them in the dark, and that you just "hate" them. Your theory sounds retarded.
>>
>>53126991
Both.
>>
>>53126763
>species are named after their color
>wow so spooky
>>
>>53126442
Wouldn't come up much, but wouldn't synergize well in most parties. Only people who want to make a hated character would play it.
>>
File: 5230958-9173145021-44754[1].jpg (362KB, 1456x1112px) Image search: [Google]
5230958-9173145021-44754[1].jpg
362KB, 1456x1112px
>>53126190
>Also a little higher
Not that anon but, I'm not sure. Escanor is pretty much in universe Superman. He has the power to turn entire cities into smoldering lava and cut entire mountains in half with a single chop. Pic is when he melted an entire castle by causing a vampire to explode. And we still haven't seen him go all out, after all, he is too prideful to go all out

I just can't see anyone getting powerful enough to become a literal walking superman
>>
I can't find any good Tiefling Sorceress character art. Where do you guys find your character art?
>>
>>53127053
Anon, what is more intimidatnig as a name between these two, assuming you don't know who I'm talking about:
Richard Smith
The Red One
There's a reason we call the GOOs Great Old Ones. A description is ALL WE HAVE, we no longer have, or never did have, an actual proper name for them.
>>
>>53127080
We have an edgelord paladin waiting for a good spot to turn into an oathbreaker and multiclass into warlock.
But first he's going to have to die and for maximum edginess he asked if there's any way he could get resurrected as a revenant or something, which would actually be appropriate for the plot so I kinda agreed.
So I though I'd give him what he wants, make him a revenant. He would get what he wants but I'd also get the chance to make the transition so that it's not just a completely beneficial thing.
Our game has a lot of paladin NPCs and shit so being actually undead would be a pain in the ass, which would balance the buffs an undying shithead gets.
>>
>>53127107
Yes, that is indeed why I told him to simultaneously set his goals both lower and higher, a proposition that would seem inherently contradictory were we not talking about an entity whose primary trait is a highly fluctuating power level.

tl;dr: You'll have to accept that your character will be worse than daytime Escanor and better than nighttime Escanor.
>>
>>53127144
Well that's just the way you present it, if you just call them "browns" it doesn't sound that intimidating anymore.
>>
>>53126735
literally http://www.eberron5e.com/
>>
>>53127158
>You'll have to accept that your character will be worse than daytime Escanor and better than nighttime Escanor.
Ahh, I'm an idiot. I kinda thought you were saying you'd be able to become as powerful as actual Escanor.

>>53126248
If you read it for Escanor, you're going to be disappointed. While he is arguably the best sin, he is rarely in it, even on the latest chapter he's been there for major events what, twice? Three times? I don't think the writer really understood how powerful he really would end up being until he submitted him and it was officiated. Because the latest big bad was practically one shot by him, and now the writer seems to be trying to avoid him at all costs. Hell, he doesn't even show up in the first season of the anime.
>>
>>53127194
It really isn't, the point is that they didn't used to be called "browns", as far as we can tell they actually used to have their own name. It's not like Panda's name in Chinese, which was always the "bear-cat" (because of the spotted coloring on it, presumably). They dropped their actual name for some reason.
>>
>>53126735
Also, does a good job at having most of the UA things integrated into the world. I personally don't like his class restrictions, then again, I'm only half way through the Campaing Setting book so there might be a good reason for him to be stingy about that.
>>
>>53126978
Well it depends on how much effort you want to put in.

I mean, some stuff's there as a basis. Wild Talents can be done by taking the Psionic Talents from the Mystic, and everyone rolls 1d12 for one.

Elemental Clerics are likely:
Earth - Life, Nature
Air - Tempest, Trickery
Fire - Light, War
Water - Life, Tempest

Of course, things come to Defiling eventually, but you could make Defiling/Preserving into archetypes for Wizard and Sorcerer. (Warlocks are special cases, since they get their arcane might from something else entirely)
>>
>>53127217
How would you know if they had their own name then and in what language? They are not called bears everywhere too you know.
>>
>>53127243
>PIE
>>
>>53126105
Chaotic Good Paladin. Make your god literally yourself. If you can't, the sun. Be super prideful. Change all skills to fire and sun skills. Axe Specialization. Axe needs to weigh more than everyone in your party combined.
>>
>>53127251
Well I ment they became being called bears only in germanic languages right?
Still doesn't sounds like there was some spooky element to it desu.
>>
>>53127251
Are you hungry or something?
>>
>>53127351
Bher means 'Brown' in PIE.
>>
>>53127356
I does but they were called that way only in germanic languages, as I'm aware. And I doubt it was because germans were that much spooked of bears compared to the rest of the world.
>>
>>53127469
Most other languages use pseudonyms too though. Russian calls them honey-eater and Welsh honey-boar (back when boars were actually a big deal and not a joke because of the association with pigs).
>>
>>53126900
>>53126938
>>53126955
Except by using the straight Int number the enemy might aswell not roll because it'll be high as fuck.
>>
Rolled 18 + 16 (1d20 + 16)

>>53127514
Nah mate, it's a contest, but while he uses his body to escape, I'll use my noggin to hold him and crushing. kind of like this. I'll pump 7 points into it because I never roll over 10 when it matters, or over 15 when it doesn't.
>>
>>53127504
Huh, even the Finnish word for bear is a kind of nickname people used so they wouldn't accidentally summon the beast.
So Finno-Ugric languages seem to support you claim.
>>
>>53127504
It's not a pseudonym, it's just a word change that happened through all the history, you might as well call every name change of every thing that is different from some proto-indoeuropean word a "pseudonym" and tell that it was because they were so spooked of it back then. There were never some "original name" for everything. That's some dumb line of thinking if you ask me.
In Russian they sound in no way treatening, cute even, and as I'm aware they don't sound scary in other slavic languages either.
>>
What clubs would you expect to find at a mage school, and how would they enhance their activities with magic?

Would they use magic to play sports? Would the debate team be full of enchanters? How would the band use magic to improve their performance?
>>
>>53127199
>>53127222
Thank(you)
and check'd've
>>
>>53127637
Thing is most other words for animals are just plain words. Look at Wolf, for example - the PIE root for Wolf just means...wolf, and nothing else, it's a special word that only refers to wolves. The reason people think the PIE root for bears is weird is because it's unique among animal names for being a non-noun, it's as if you called wolves 'grey ones' or boars 'charging ones'.
>>
oy.
any resources to spice up grid combat, other than the DMG stuff?
>>
>>53127723
Well some words are, some don't, it doesn't mean there is a reason to imply some legend to be truth as if it was some linguistical fact.
>>
>>53127770
Your brain.
>>
>>53127770
Anal pepper in the anus
>>
>>53127781
Except it IS strange, because nouns and adjectives didn't get mixed like that so often back then, language wasn't as evolved and modifiers often didn't exist or were rarely used. People think of a lot of modern lingual constructs as taken for granted but there are societies today which have no word for any number past 2.
>>
>>53127795
thanks for your input.
>>
So I'm planning on running a game where player attendance isn't exactly guaranteed as most of my players have variable work schedules. What's a good style of campaign to go for in these situations? I'm considering just grabbing the Adventurer's League adventures and running a largely episodic campaign.
>>
>>53127813
No problem. Turns out you don't need some third party to write a load of even shittier flanking rules when you can just use your brain to put objects onto the field to use, interesting twists to combat and all of that.
>>
>>53127821
I once had an Eberron campaign based on a business owned by House Orien's courier's guild that was basically Planet Express with a train instead of a space ship.

Whoever showed up got hired to work that week's foolhardy delivery.
>>
>>53127821
You can still run a relatively normal one. Ours is like that, though we have a large roster - means we just have people tagging in and out each week.

Failing that, sandboxy stuff works quite well, lots of side quests. They can interconnect a bit, but having a roaming adventurer band who sometimes swaps mercenaries in and out for specific missions works well thematically. Like bringing on a new band member for a tour while someone's off sick.
>>
File: 1492518228674.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1492518228674.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
Are there magical weapons that come in a pair meant for DOOAL WIELD
>>
>>53127813
>>53127810
Don't forget to pepper your anus.
>>
>>53127053
anon you're missing the point. Bears are much scarier than wolves. They're giants made of fur and muscle and strength and teeth. You can kill a single wolf easier than you can kill a single bear.
>>
>>53127914
no official ones, no. But you could fix that by just acquiring a second one of the single versions, and dual wielding them.
>>
>>53127941
But bears are not that agressive though, they would not hunt for you unless they are especially hugry or you are on their lair territory. But wolves do often hunt people and them being in packs makes them even scarier. It maybe easier to kill a single bear than a pack of wolves.
>>
>>53128022
Both die to an old mattress soaked in stew.
>>
>>53127214
When I first watched the show King and Ban we're tired for best sins, then I read the manga and Escanor showed up.

It's gone so far that I'm considering getting a smaller version of the lion tattoo since every says I'm a narcissist since I started working out. What I never admit is that sloth is more me because half the time I have to drag myself there even though I enjoy it.
>>
Anyone got those screenshots of Pathfinder forum posts where the devs get into screaming matches with people over stupid shit?
>>
About how large should a dungeon be to fill out an average session?
Like, I party starts the session finding the dungeon, does dungeon stuff during session, and by the time the players are tired ( about 4 hours in my experience ) the dungeon should be cleared and they should be able to move on to something else.
>>
File: Ankou.png (117KB, 169x527px) Image search: [Google]
Ankou.png
117KB, 169x527px
post creatures you've used from other sources for your campaign
>>
>>53128432
about 2-4 encounters
>>
>>53128022
Precisely why they would make good replacements for dragons. Because Dragons also do not actively hunt humans unless they are hungry or provoked by a humans presence on their territory.
>>
>>53128441
>Runescape
If anyone ever needs hard evidence that things really WERE better back in the day, just look at Runescape.
>>
File: is that chicken i smell.jpg (23KB, 542x424px) Image search: [Google]
is that chicken i smell.jpg
23KB, 542x424px
>>53128441
Once made an enemy entirely based around this meme. Introduced her to the players as a Massively obese screeching woman lumbering around looking for a child the players had just found on a table. They assumed she was a witch and wanted to eat the child. Turns out the PC's had just kidnapped it, and were thusly arrested by the local constabulary.
>>
File: 1491584979265.png (490KB, 850x680px) Image search: [Google]
1491584979265.png
490KB, 850x680px
>>53126802
>>
File: AntiPhoenix.png (866KB, 811x576px) Image search: [Google]
AntiPhoenix.png
866KB, 811x576px
>>53128441
Everything from Veins of the Earth.
>>
>>53127115
You make it
>>
>>53125854
>>spears are simple
>This never fails to make me ree, no spears are simple to use IN FORMATION.
they're considered simple weapons because they were one of the easiest weapons to use even for individuals not martially trained.
>>
>>53128811
right? Pointy end goes in what you want dead. It's not that hard.
>>
Is anybody else sad spears aren't finesse? I wanna play a kobold shanking people with a spear like a proper tribal, but they're Strength based.
>>
>>53128811
No, they're not. They're the simplest to use in fucking formation, if you're using a spear untrained on me then I can literally stop it with my hands because guess what, a spear is not actually deadly in the hands of scrubs anywhere but the tip. With someone who actually knows how to use it it's obviously different but 'stick 'em with the pointy end' doesn't work in real life any more than saying the same with a rapier or a sword. In fact it's more relevant for a sword because swinging is a more instinctive movement than jabbing for humans, this is why the most primitive weapons are club-like or axe-like or thrown.
>>
>>53128878
You do know a weapon being "simple" doesn't mean you don't need to know how to use it, right?
You aren't automatically proficient in simple weapons.
>>
File: runescape irl.jpg (30KB, 400x328px) Image search: [Google]
runescape irl.jpg
30KB, 400x328px
>>53128481
It really was. Whole lot of old stuff from Runescape has leaked into a lot of my games. The fairy city of Zanaris that's reached by going in a random shack in the middle of the swamp and where you can fight animated clothes was a personal favorite of mine.
>>
>>53127656
A club dedicated to crafting and improving foci. Maybe some clubs are dedicated to certain families of spells related by elemental type or perhaps theme as with Haste/Slow/Timestop.
>>
>>53128878
you cannot be serious, read up some history, there is a reason they are literally the most common weapon to any kind of culture aside from a club or bow. Even at the lowest of your experience, the reach helps you and boosts your sense of security into bringing a blow.
Fucking 4chan.
>>
>>53128911
that's why i told him they are considered simple, most people can train much easily with them than with an actual fencing weapon.
>>
File: 1489443119630.png (359KB, 1102x382px) Image search: [Google]
1489443119630.png
359KB, 1102x382px
>>53128637
What madness could have wrought such an abomination?
Wizards: No sense of right and wrong
>>
>>53128926
>Haste/Slow/Timestop

I think I'd do that as a clock-maker's club or something like that.
>>
>>53128911
>You aren't automatically proficient in simple weapons.
>Most people can use simple weapons with proficiency
The entire point is that they're so simple most people can use them with minimal training, which isn't fucking true for spears unless you're standing with a bunch of other people with spears. The reach is great but the problem with it is that most people are so slow at jabbing a relatively unwieldy weapon and are so poor at recovering that its length becomes a liability instead of an advantage

>>53128936
Because they work in FORMATION.
In formation ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is stay close enough to the guy next to you, as long as you all jab continuously like robots or just push if you're using pikes you present a fucking wall of death to anyone trying to get close. Literally the reason spearmen were popular is you could give ANYONE a fucking spear, tell them to stand around, and just point the sharp end at the other guy. This doesn't fucking work for solo fighting, because formation fighting and solo fighting are two entirely different beasts.
YOU read on some history.
>>
>>53128981
damn the autism is hitting you hard atm.
>>
New thread, migrate whenever
>>53129015
>>53129015
>>
>>53129010
Not an argument. Spears are incredibly effective en-masse with minimal - or no - training in their usage, warring states levy peasants in China (i.e. Classic Greek period) were often just drilled in...discipline, not in the use of their weapons, because spears in formation are so simple that you don't need training.
>>
>>53123035
>>53122864
But my players are based out of Waterdeep so
>players get into a tavern brawl
>having the upper hand
>some buddies of the losing side join against them
>players have some friends in the tavern as well
>they promptly join the fight on the players side
>soon enough the whole tavern is brawling
>city watch comes in through the door
>gets out through the window
>brawl now extends into the streets
>some tusslers roll into the market square
>City guard intervenes
>merchants get into the fray
>Grey Hands show up
>everyone stops fighting, flees, or dies.
>takes only a couple of minutes to have order restored
>>
>>53128981
>The entire point is that they're so simple most people can use them with minimal training, which isn't fucking true for spears
We've been using spears to hunt and kill since the beginning of time.
It's a simple weapon regardless of how it's used martially.
>>
>>53128981
>The entire point is that they're so simple most people can use them with minimal training

from the phb:
>Most people can use simpIe weapons with proficiency. These weapons include clubs, maces, and other weapons often found in the hands of commoners.

ergo, they're simple because they're common. It's one of the simplest weapons to make, because it's literally just a pointy stick at its most basic level. Therefore they're reasonably widely used, and every pleb has probably handled one at some point in their lives.
>>
>>53123765
But they're in Mystara and Forgotten Realms, too.
>>
>>53129158
>>53129195
thank you.
>>
>>53128981
>he thinks a random person with a spear is going to lose to a random person with a shortsword, club, or handaxe
lmao
>>
File: GEESE.png (1MB, 961x1360px) Image search: [Google]
GEESE.png
1MB, 961x1360px
>>53128637
>>53128964
>>
>>53129771
i'd make this thing like CR10 and a fucking nightmare of a creature, with a frightening presence, much stronger peck, claw attacks, AoE HONK (recharge 5-6) and lair actions that spawn dire geese (as deep geeseling) from it's deep pond. Maybe a grapple on hit for good measure...
Thread posts: 353
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.