[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 407
Thread images: 34

File: randy_elf_god.jpg (59KB, 351x462px) Image search: [Google]
randy_elf_god.jpg
59KB, 351x462px
th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previously, on /5eg/ bread >>52955884

How would you improve 5e edition.
>>
>>52964005
A slightly fast pace for releasing core material
>>
>>52964005
totally rework warlock and ranger for starters
>>
How to convince a group of friends to play 5e? They seem non-committal.
>>
>>52964047
In what way? Is Revised Ranger not good enough?
>>
>>52964049
Find different friends. If people can't commit, you'll play one or two games, then people will stop coming because they forgot or whatever and then you're just back to square one
>>
>>52964005
Character customization options with more granularity than standard
>>
>>52964049
Tell them they're no longer your friends.

desu 5e is the perfect game
>>
>>52964073
>>52964087
Nah, these are pretty good friends, we'll be playing something else in the meantime, just not 5e.
>>
>>52964058
Revised Ranger was a step in the right direction.

I'd change Warlock to be the true arcane martial (the one EK and to a lesser extent AT wish they were) to the Paladins divine martial and the Rangers druidic martial.
>>
>>52964005
>How would you fix 5e
Rework ranger and elements monk.
Feat progression separate from ASI progression. Slowed ASI progression.
Better equipment guidelines for replacement characters based on what actual players would get. Treasure rolls included.
Make a bunch of optional rules (like autosucces and feats) default rules.
Produce core content at a less glacial pace.
>>
>>52964103
LOL!!!!!
Look if any subhuman around you dosn't want to play 5e the're NOT your friends
>>
How decent (or shit? is using roll20 to find a group to play with. I live in the middle of nowhere and nobody I know plays the game too.
>>
>>52964005
Is a CR=LV enemy a ~50/50 chance of survival in a 1v1 fight?

If no, roughly what CR is?
>>
>>52964058
Not him, but RR is pretty dope.

Warlock feels tighter once you allow the UA invocations and increase the rate at which they receive them.
>>
>>52964122
I know it's bait but I'm pretty sure you don't have any actual friends.
>>
Will we seeing more of Dendar and Lathander?
>>
>>52964142
I don't have any retard as friends unlike you faggot.

>nice projecting btw cuck
>>
>>52964136
CR is 4 party members of equivalent level finding the monster a medium difficulty.
>>
What do I play for Out of The Abyss? I was thinking Shadow Monk could be good
>>
>>52964005
More detailed guidelines for skill DCs.

An actual system for determining knowledge DCs and what info they get you, with text specifying that monster lore can be remembered mid-combat with no action or penalty.

Detailed rules for haggling.

More combat maneuvers that anyone can use without wasting feats on them.

Make GWM work for non-heavy weapons, but only give +5 damage.

Make cleaving a thing. When you kill or KO an enemy, you can combo through other enemies. Let fighters, rangers, and paladins cleave a number of times equal to their level, "half-fighters" like clerics and bards equal to half their level, and totally non-martial classes like wizards and sorcs get one-quarter their level.

Passive checks as the default on perception checks, with clear, unambiguous rules on when to use them.

Remove forcecage, simulacrum, wish, demiplane, astral projection, rope trick, leomund's tiny hut, and clone. There are some others that could use the chopping block, but I'm blanking on them.
>>
>>52964149
That's some advanced autism you have there, mate.
>>
>>52964185
>U-U S AUTISMI!!!!!!
lmao thsi fuckin irl retard kek
>>
>>52964181
>my houserules should be canon
Go home anon.
>>
>>52964195
Nou
>>
>>52964005
Rework the classes just a bit and also make class related feats.

>Revised ranger but without the 5mile radar
>Make sure Warlocks aren't just low level multiclass dips by making better high level invocations.
>Rework Sorcerrer by them learning all metamagic at lvl 2 and then make new class features at lvl 5, lvl 11 and lvl 16 so they don't become just a dull lesser version of wizards (have some more Con related features, expand spell lists and other things that would fit ''those gifted with magic''.
>Change Bards to a d6 class (A full caster has no buisness with having a d8 Hp die while also having armour proficiency)
>Change Monk into a d10 class, give them the same number of ASI as Fighters or make FOB scale with level so it gets more unarmed strikes at higher levels.
>Rework the Druids Shapechange feature so they don't remain as damage sponges.
>Fix retarded subclasses like Frenzy Barbarian.
>Diversify the spell lists (There's only one cantrip that deals lightning damage and it's a melee spell attack).
>Make STR, CHA and INT saving throws more relevant.
>Make less retarded crafting rules. The whole point of crafting is to make a profit. Just make sure it's limited time wise if you aim for balance.
>Get some feats that can boost Throwing, One handed and Versatile weapons.
>>
If an adult red dragon has 3 possible attacks, can it only do one of them?

As in, he has to choose between a bite, claw or tail attack?
>>
>>52964386
The statblock lists possible actions.
One of those possible actions is Multiattack.
Multiattack tells you what you can use.
>>
>>52964386
The attack routine says it attacks, with frightful presence, with a bite and two claw attacks. The tail attack is part of its legendary actions.
>>
>>52964427
Thanks.

>>52964435
That's what confused me a little, thanks.
>>
>>52964386
Yes
>>
>>52964379
You have good taste, all of those are things I would say except one more thing.

>Eldritch Blast is a class feature that scales with Warlock level and changes depending on your patron

The way it is now anyone with Charisma might as well be using EB because it's just too damn good compared to other Cantrips. Make it a special Warlock spell attack (Like Sun Soul get) that scales with Warlock level and comes with Agonising Blast. Also change damage type depending on patron to add more flavor then "Magic Blast Attack".
>>
>>52964147

Lathander don't real.
>>
>>52964496
>>52964204
>>52964193
What the fuck is with the drivel in this thread?
>>
>>52964379
>Revised ranger but without the 5mile radar
God forbid rangers did something useful
>>
>>52964588
At least reduce the damn radar to a one mile radius or less.

Oh and let's add this:
>SWITHCH TO MOTHERFUCKING METRIC MEASURES.
>>
>>52964147
Sure.
I'll finish Dendar today.
>>
Ok, how often are we planning to let threads die anyway?

>>52942133
You can't surprise someone that's already in combat. Dick move.
>>
I'm homebrewing a new monk subclass and I'm wondering, is Elemental Weapon too powerful to let monk give themselves? It's not casting the real spell but just an ability with the same effect except Necrotic damage.

Can't figure out if it should be level 3 or 6 and what the scaling Ki cost should be.

I am kind of worried about the damage output but then again Monks have shit damage anyway.
>>
>>52964150
To add to that, generally as a trend but not a hardrule, a monster will be as powerful as a character whose level is 2/3 the monster's CR. For example, the Archmage, Archdruid, and Warlord are essentially a level 18 wizard, druid, and fighter respectively, but are each CR 12.
>>
Just found out about Mega anon being purged. Is there a backup to his Roll20/Mega trove anywhere?
>>
>>52964111
>Make a bunch of optional rules (like autosucces and feats) default rules.
this is exactly where older editions went wrong
>>
>>52964761
Are you blind to the OP or something?
>>
Anybody ever tried playing with the fail forward rules in the DMG? how'd it go?
>>
>>52964813
Lots of curses and falling downstairs.
>>
>>52964813
>fail forward
waitwat
>>
>>52964813
>>52964861
where can these rules be found in the DMG?
>>
File: 1489183606549.jpg (261KB, 600x835px) Image search: [Google]
1489183606549.jpg
261KB, 600x835px
Pic related has inspired me to make something like this... Not really sure how though. Current thought is a Wood Elf Monk and ask to replace my Unarmed attacks with Dagger attacks.

Unless there's a way to make Dual-Wielding useful yet?
>>
>>52964058
Well, for one, it doesn't multiclass properly.
>>
>>52964900
A guy I play with sometimes has a tabaxi warlock/fighter that dual wields scimitars
>>
>>52964058
Revised Ranger is good but since it's not in a hardcover book, some DM think it's not "official" and therefore broken.
>>
>>52964150
Yes. I am aware of that. I'm trying to figure out at what point it's roughly an even match, sort of to gauge the upper limit of how hard I would want to make a fight.

>>52964756
>CR=~2/3 Lv, with examples.
Thanks dude, that's what I was looking for.
>>
Hey Anons, if your DM broke his own game, blames it on you, and wants to remake without multiclassing but with full UA and a lvl 1 feat. What's the minniest maxed single class character you can think of? Thinking PAM pally or lucky divination...
>>
>>52964995
Ambuscade Ranger with Alert.
>>
>>52964900
If you can convince your DM to let you make the extra attack without a bonus action the Rangers are actually good at it thanks to 4d6+6 damage at level 2.

Not as good as GWM higher up, but decent.
>>
Do you guys play with characters getting hungry/thirsty/tired?
>>
I'm working on a homebrew Barbarian primal path that gives the barbarian a fighting style

Is a fighting style approximately equal in value to one of the barbarian's level 3 features? Or should I supplement it with something else?
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 284x339px
>>52964995
You are the worst kind of person and have no ability to properly handle social social situations, kys
>>
>>52964005
If you cast dispel magic on a shapeshifted druid, does the druid revert to its real form?
>>
>>52964900
Aren't daggers a monk weapon?
>>
>>52965055
Doesn't dispel magic refer to spell levels? Druid's shapechanging doesn't have any.
>>
>>52965040
LMAO. This DM is the combined greentext of TG. Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire my dude.
>>
>>52965055
no

dispel magic only works on spells, read the spell before posting
>>
>>52965097
Storytime?
>>
>>52965097
Or you could just talk with him and at worst leave the game afterwards
>>
Going to my session soon
Gonna explore an ancient city carved in a rocky wall on a desert
Feeling pumped af, my gnome wiz is ready to roll
>>
>>52965033
Anyway?

Wondering if I should add the hunger mechanics.
>>
>>52965108
Why does it have to be so antagonistic? Anon disagreements don't always have to end in ragequitting! He likes to throw BS set pieces, Deus Ex us and rock fall us, we play hard right back. It's just a game is it not??
>>
>>52965121
Anyone*
>>
>>52965036
A fighting style and a permanent bonus depending on the picked fighting style.

For example:
>Pick Dueling - can use bonus action to feint giving advantage on a attack roll once per turn while wielding a onehanded weapon in one hand.
>Pick Defense - while raging reduce damage taken by 2.
>Pick GWF - Use bonus action to force a Str save (DC=8+Prof bonus + either Str or Dex mod) on one target you have hit. On a failed save target is knocked back 10 ft.
>Pick Archery - Bonus action to slow one enemy by 10 ft.
>>
>>52964136
CR=2/3LV more or less
But it varies wildly with class, some are much better equipped for 1v1, for example monk, who will stunning strike the fucker to oblivion.
>>
Anyone got a link to a good crit miss/fumble table?
I was really struggling to come up with things that didn't seem like i was just being cruel to my players.
>>
File: 20ftsquare.jpg (86KB, 624x576px) Image search: [Google]
20ftsquare.jpg
86KB, 624x576px
If I've got a spell with an area of a 20ft square, can I angle it so it comes out like this on a grid?
>>
>>52965248
No
>>
>>52964005
So, I found the DMG Monster Guidelines Tedious, and decided to try making something to make it easier for me.

What do you think?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jkvREtEIobNn2a7bgiWz9IXXs7a18L5g_hUJVM4pxPw/edit?usp=sharing

I didn't type out the tables, FYI, I either calculated the progression, or approximated it as accurately as possible. It can and will go to fractional CRs.

It still needs work for CRs < 1, though.
>>
>>52965194
>crit fumble
>have 5 lv20 fighters together
>each of them legendary warriors and heroes
>when they fight together, one of they will fuck up badly every six seconds
Using crit fumble is being cruel
>>
>>52964777
If it was unclear I'm of the opinion that making those things optional was a fuckup on the part of WotC.
>>
>>52965277
I feel like at least something should happen when they roll a 1.
>>
>>52965277
Not that poster, but I had a DM that worked it like this-

On a natural 1 attack, your target can use their reaction to attack you, assuming you are within range. If you are benefiting from your fighting style, that attack is made at disadvantage.

It wasn't too bad to be honest.
>>
>>52965342
Yeah, they miss.
>>
>>52965273
In case anyone is wondering, it does automatic CR calculations, and lets you spit out enemies using enemy Role Templates converted from 4e.
>>
>>52965370
And so far as I've been able to tell, the math all works out for CR >=1.
>>
>>52964756
Note that none of those NPCs actually have the class features of those classes. A level 18 wizard is not CR 12.
>>
>>52965194
When rolling with disadvantage, and both rolls would 'fail', roll a 1d6.
1=condition applied to self
2=condition applied to allies and self
3=damage dealt to self
4=damage dealt to ally
5=damage and condition applied to self
6=damage and condition applied to allies and self

Note that allies may mean "allies and self", and thus may be substituted for "self" if no allies would be affected.

The DM specifies as required.
>>
>>52965420
4 is supposed to read "damage dealt to allies and self".
>>
>>52965412
If you were to use a PC as an enemy rather than rebuilding them as a monster, what would the level=CR be?
>>
>>52965033
The only time I ever bother with it is when surviving in an inhospitable location is the actual challenge. If they're going out to kill some bandits, explore some ruins or break into a wizard's tower then I want them to that just as much as they do. I'm not going to lump a bunch of arbitrary penalties or even kill them before the game even has a chance to get interesting just because they didn't spend half the session combing through the equipment section of the PHB and telling me what exact items they wanted to purchase before leaving town or because I felt the need to pad the session out by forcing them to make 20 survival checks and they had a streak of bad luck. If they wanted to cross a desert or some other kind of barren land where a passive untrained survival check clearly isn't going to cut it then we can go all Oregon Trail if that's how they want to do it. I would rather travel and between encounter time be spent on roleplaying and character interaction, resource management is not my jam nor is it for anyone else in my group.
>>
>>52964995
Goliath barbarian dunk slammer. Get atheltics. If you have friends left at the table ask them to use enlarge on you.
>>
>>52965310
Yes and I'm noting that prior editions had a lot of rules that should've been optional. No one is stopping you from making optional rules an auto-default in your own games.
>>
>>52964813
You mean the rules guidelines even in the basic rules? No, because no one ever reads them.
>>
>>52965033
Rarely. We usually find a way around it.
>player is a wanderer and can thus provide food for the party, no reason to deal with rations unless they're in a desert etc.
>player is a noble and his family is willing to provide them with rations.
>players are rewarded some kind of business or investment. The money from this goes into adventuring supplies/replacements or goes back into the investment.
>>
>>52965474
>No one is stopping you from making optional rules an auto-default in your own games.
Of course not. And I do precisely that. I want them to be the default so that I might actually want to *Play* in someone else's game, without having to hunt for someone who went through and turned on all the options the game needs to be actually playable.
>>
>>52964877
Page 242? I think that's it.
>>
>>52964123
Bump
>>
>>52965534
And I'm disagreeing with you that the optional rules should be default. I'm also disagreeing that 5e is unplayable without your rules.
>>
>>52964005
Arcane Half-Caster. Duskblade (not the EK form it has taken). Magus.
>>
>>52964005
Is there a somewhere people have uploaded player characters? I'd like to have a bunch at different levels, for one shots and guest sessions using pregens.
>>
>>52965445
Winging it, and treating them like a monster and not an antagonist with intelligence and resources, probably level = CR 1 step down per tier, so lvl 1-4 is CR 1/2-3, lvl 5-8 is CR 3-6, lvl 9-12 is CR 6-9, lvl 13-16 is CR 9-12, and lvl 17-20 be CR 12-15. Huh.
>>
>>52964005
>5e edition

really makes me think
>>
Is hair important to spell casting in your setting?
>>
What is a good build for a moon bow warlock archer? At the moment I am thinking warlock 5/lore bard 15, this will give me extra attack, a lot of smiting slots, and swift quiver from additional magical secrets. Obviously pick up sharpshooter feat and max cha and dex. Could put a level into fighter instead of bard for archery fighting style, but i'm not sure if it's worth it.
>>
Why did they make the UA Warlock smites do 2d8 per spell level instead of 2d8 1st level, plus 1d8 each level above, like paladins?
>>
>>52965786
>Why did they make the UA Warlock smites do 2d8 per spell level instead of 2d8 1st level, plus 1d8 each level above, like paladins?

Because they're bad at their jobs.

They can't even copy/paste from their own damn edition right.
>>
How would I go about handling a group made up of entirely new players?
I'm pretty sure a lot of them aren't going to be heavy into the roleplaying aspect and find it cheesy
>>
>>52965829
Set the example and be cheesier, use thou and the like, until they are acting like parodies, then start making it "serious".
>>
>>52965829
You'd be surprised about how easily they will get into the RP aspect.
I would just, rather then have them look through the PHB and use the character sheets.
Just have your players describe the general characteristics they want and give them bonuses, not stats to certain roles. Build a few rooms and have them go into them and make it all like 10 DC checks.
Then once they've got the basic mechanics down, throw in skills and spells
then when they are like "well I want to be better at this" have them look for it in the PHB for their backgrounds and class. Have them set the pace.
>>
>>52965677
>Magus

Alright let's talk about that. In Pathfinder, it wasn't really broken. But that was Pathfinder. A direct translation would give us something of a 3/4th caster (because they had Cantrips and also 6th Level Spells) and there isn't anything in 5e that does that. The Magus had what would amount to several of the EK features. They had armor, eventually got medium and even heavy. They had an equivalent to Sorcery Points (Arcane Pool) and Eldritch Invocations (Magus Arcana) and, even, their own spell list and spell BOOK that works just like the Wizards.

Does 5e have any need for that?
>>
>>52965786
Because warlocks aren't paladins.
Because UA is intentionally strong to encourage discussion and testing.
>>
>>52965786
The funny part is by the time they can even get Curse Bringer/other smites, they're level 3 which makes their spells level 2. So the 2d8 doesn't even matter, it does 4d8 right out the gate. I guess it is in case the warlock multiclasses?

Not complaining, my subpar shit stat hexblade pulls his weight because of the smites. I just wish warlocks had more spell slots.
>>
>>52965786
because unearthed arcana is playtested stuff
it's alpha and beta
and "hey lets see what players do with this"
>>
>>52965786
because warlocks get a fraction of the spell slots paladins get
>>
>>52965786
best paladins are tier 1 and warlocks are the worst published class excluding ranger (which isnt really a class in its current PHB state)
>>
Is there any type of Asian inspired culture in 5e? Similar to how Akavir exists in The Elder Scrolls. How annoying would a character that doesn't speak common be to other party members? I wanna be a Ronin mercenary from another land because I'm a disgusting 外人おたく. Also I'm not actually an otaku. I'm just excited that I'm learning a new language and potentially opening up some cool career opportunities. And it sounds like a character like this would open some interesting RP possibilities. Though it may be too difficult. Perhaps a character that knows Thieves Cant but not common?
>>
>>52965994
why do you need to be a special snowflake language fag? its not a cute or cool idea its just stupid and makes you a pain in the ass for everyone in your party. i guarantee you nobody but yourself will think its anything but gay and retarded. im not telling you this to make you feel bad, but so that you dont embarrass yourself.

anyways just play a character from an asian inspired homeland and play a martial class. boom done your fantasy is fulfilled
>>
>>52965994
Do it, play a character that can't be understood by the other players. Enjoy being railroaded into things you don't want to happen
>>
>>52966023
Two others I know for sure would play along and enjoy it. But it probably would make things difficult. Sorry I made you turn into a butthurt faggot, by the way. Though I'm sure you're used to it.
>>
>>52966023
>boom your fantasy is fulfilled

It won't be until they bring a fucking honorifics sheet so they can at least shoehorn that and get assmad when no one wants to learn the grolious language.
>>
>>52966055
Might be interesting. I mean the character would do as his "masters" order, so he couldn't disagree anyway. Maybe it'd end in him sudoku'ing to escape the group. Or some crazy sacrifice or something.
>>
>>52966073
Haha, haven't even learned those yet. I can't believe how angry so many people are getting over a little joking about a language and a possible character.
>>
File: 508785807.jpg (32KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
508785807.jpg
32KB, 612x612px
I feel like 90% of people who have a problem with the warlock or think it's broken have never actually played it or played it when they should have been playing a wizard or eldritch knight.

Playing a Bladelock right now, and with the help of Armor of Agathys and Hellish Rebuke, I'm playing a really fun style of punishment fighter
>>
>>52966100
>I can't believe

and shouldn't because it's not real.
>>
>>52966060
>Two others I know for sure would play along and enjoy it.

maybe for a session or two for the novelty of it. then theyd get sick of your shit and pretend not to hate it and shit talk about your dumbass character behind your back after every session, making jokes at your expense. eventually im sure they will have inside jokes whenever you try to RP your character and youll be so confused why everyone is laughing but you, but knwing how much of a complete retard you are youll probably just think youre such a fun roleplayer they cant help it

that or you play with teenagers
>>
>>52966111
That is some crazy projection, friend. Show me on the doll where the weeaboos touched you.
>>
>>52966111
I think you're assuming A LOT about his group.
>>
>>52966104
its a trash class that gets outshined in everything it does by another class, this isnt up for dispute, its fact. theres a reason its known as the dip class

that being said its one of the coolest thematically and funnest to rp
>>
>>52966132
>>52966134
>being this retarded
>>
>>52965902
Does 5e have any need for Warlock? Could that just replace it? Would anyone care?
>>
>>52966161
>Too stupid to come up with an original insult or argument, so he just calls the other posters retarded
10/10 friend, impressive.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (990KB, 1600x2126px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
990KB, 1600x2126px
>>52965994
Kara-Tur is Oriental
>>
>>52966141

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9p7DxYuE-3VQWRpNGQ0ckxLcTQ

It's not trash anymore friendito, it just didn't have enough options to start with.
>>
So asides from not being locked into alignments, are Eberron dragons pretty much the same as Faerun dragons? Brass still super talkative, blacks still cruel cowards, etc?
>>
>>52966194
Thank you, I'll look into that.
>>
As of last session, mystics are banned from my games until they are balanced properly.
Took a small break from being the DM while a player ran a side quest style one shot so I could play for once. Party was level 8. Wanted to try mystic since I like the idea of the power of the mind and wanted to see if they are actually balanced.
But the mystic was just way too flexible and strong, any problems that we had were instantly solved by mind control, stealing memories, forcing the truth out of enemies and teleporting all over the place. And kidnapping is very easy if you can just paralyze your target with a though.
Five out of the six players agreed that mystics are just too strong at the moment. Way too many powers even at those levels and points to spam them all day long.
>>
>>52966187
says the guy that fell back on >le projection maymay

literally 100% unoriginal weeaboo special snowflake, how typical
>>
>>52966174
The warlock is probably the most distinct caster class

The biggest issue with them is that anyone can dip 2 levels and get both their biggest benefit (unlimited blasting) AND two of their fancy class powers because they're so incredibly front-loaded
>>
>>52966141
>trash class
You can have your opinions, but I've played a warlock before and outdamaged everyone in the party, and still had plenty of spells a day for out of combat and roleplay use
>>
>>52966241
ok thats cool, your table is full of incapable retards that dont know how to optimize their class or play properly idk what to tell you. what i said is objectively true. whats strong at a trashcan table with a dm that apparently doesnt make encounters meaningful enough that a warlock doesnt have to use their spells or gives 10k short rests is not as strong at a table of people who are actually good at the game.
>>
>>52966231
Not my fault you were literally projecting.
Lemme guess, you're first thought for a reply was "lol not my fault you're literally retarded". Eat a dick.
>>
>>52966277
Name one class that can consistently out damage EB spam without using optional rules
>>
>>52966319
>le epic projecting xd stop le roflmao projecting hehe

you should start a youtube channel and talk about why you hate the left wing
>>
File: War Is Art.pdf (628KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
War Is Art.pdf
628KB, 1x1px
I made a thing, how shit is it?
>>
>>52966334
Fighter among several others.

Also

>not allowing feats

If you ever do this you're a faggot for restricting martials this hard.
>>
>>52966349
Jesus bro, that kind of butthurt can't be healthy.
>>
>>52964005
The major thing I would need to do to "improve" 5e is to consolidate the good PHB/DMG material with the good UA material...

... and throw out the trash from both.

Trash is mostly in the feats department. The feats that quadratically complicate action resolution, drive up DPR, do nothing, or are simply worth all around more than 2 points on an ASI need to go. That's most feats. Feats should be as natural to new players as simply raising stats.

UA feats for skills is the best baseline for feat design.

The other trash are things like Lore Mastery Wizard, and putting Ranger(Revised) in over original Ranger.

On the small things, I would smack down the whole "just refluff it!" attitude and point to guidelines on A) backround creation B) Exchanging starting proficiencies C)Creating custom archetypes. Essentially, if a person's character concept was just not well enveloped by an already existing class/archetype, then the player and DM should be able to construct a fair and balanced alternative under strict guidelines. Path of the Zealot Barbarian is a good example of this. "DM, I want to play big barbarian style guy, but like, divine" "Okay, let's make a divine archetype, Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can channel divine fury when you start to rage. If you do so, you become cloaked in an aura of divine power...now this is a defining level 3 aspect of your archetype and should match the power of Berserker level 3 so it'll do 1d6+1/2 barb level under these conditions... How's that sound?"

Last small thing I would do is list out weapons that could easily do piercing OR slashing- player's choice- such as the dagger, or piercing or bludgeoning such as the morningstar.

Lastly I would try really hard to replace "archetype" with some kind of good fluff words, like "school" "college" "oath" etc. in all cases.
>>
File: 8155acfccc87aef4a387ffc23076a919.jpg (302KB, 1188x1600px) Image search: [Google]
8155acfccc87aef4a387ffc23076a919.jpg
302KB, 1188x1600px
>>52966277
Wow, you seem pretty upset by something, friend. I still use spells in combat, and we only take short rests about twice maybe three times a day. You seem to be under the impression that we're having fun wrong, and I don't see a reason to carry on this debate with you.

Feel better, buddy.
>>
>>52966375
Level 5 Warlock can unleash 2d10+8+2d6 a round, and if they get hit, they can tag on 4d10 with hellish rebuke.

I don't know about you, but that's some sizable damage.
>>
>>52966362
Overall some neat ideas, but

Trance mastery is far too much. Advantage on all saving throws + Extra attack (2) + casting while raging all in one bundle.
I'd leave extra attack 2 to the fighter, remove the saving throws, keep the casting but change the extra attack 2 to some other sort of attack.

Honestly most everything else is fine, surprisingly enough. I can't even complain about duelling trying to remove any point to using strength instead of dexterity for barbarogues as you still won't get reckless attack.

I'll say protection's ability needs a buff though, something 'all attacks against the person you protected have disadvantage' instead.
>>
>>52966375
I feel that having damage roughly on par to specialized martial builds with just a cantrip and a invocation is pretty good, considering the system provides very little support for martials to be useful outside of combat and with warlock there's at least the possibility of picking certain invocations/cantrips/Tome for ritual spells
>>
>>52966104
But abjuration wizard does armor of agathys better

Warlock2/AbjurationwizardX

All the cantrip firepower of warlock, most of the power of wizard, infinite recharge on your ward from armor of shadows and extra protection on your armor of agathys+potentially higher spell slots to cast armor of agathys at at higher levels that warlocks can't do that with.
>>
>>52966446
explain?
>>
5e should have two classes: Martial and Spellcaster, with a billion subclasses.

Prove me wrong.
>>
File: giphy.gif (974KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
974KB, 500x281px
So, hypothetically, would it make sense / be balanced for falling damage to apply the other way around? 1d10 damage for every 10 feet of height I jumped off of onto the guy?

Asking for my luchador character.
>>
>>52965033
I remind them when they're forced to consume their starting rations and tally it myself. Then when it really comes up I get to work a new kind of challenge in.

I also remind them that they have to find *some* time to eat in the day, if they ever go to extremes.
>>
>>52966533
Dex / Acrobatics check to see if you take the damage of if the enemy does.
>>
>>52966514
Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast+Hex
Then Add Hellish Rebuke as a reaction and Repelling Blast for throwing your enemy twenty feet backwards when you hit every round.

Warlocks are one of the best at striking and they still get spells and rituals that most other martials that can compete with their damage don't get.
>>
I think warlock is fine but warlock multiclassing is broken. It shouldn't work as a quick-and-easy powerup to sorcerers. Perhaps it could be fixed by the GM setting a minimum amount of warlock levels you must take after making a pact
>>
>>52965994
>Is there any type of Asian inspired culture in 5e?
PHB 30-31.
>>
>>52966474
Hmm, good points, I'll change Defense

How about adding double your proficiency bonus to weapon attacks made while raging? Is that powerful enough for a level 14 feature?
>>
>>52966533
Acrobatics check, deal fall damage + melee weapon attack to creature and take half fall damage on a success. Just take fall damage normally otherwise.
>>
>>52966654
I mean, that's a bit silly when stacked with reckless attack. The barbarian that never misses.

A level 14 feature doesn't have to be powerful. A level 2 feature can be powerful, just lower fantasy than the high level features.

But, barbarians do get pretty good level 14 features compared to other features and I feel the level 6 and 10 abilities have the right level of power. 14 is certainly more powerful, but not THAT much more powerful.
Maybe on the same level of power as getting a second fighting style with rage benefit.
>>
one of our party members keeps hinting at something ominous like he's secretly making plans to kill everyone else in the party. He's not a bad player (besides maybe being a bit too dominant in conversation) but this is getting on my nerves.
>>
>>52966571
I'd probably allow Strength/Athletics or Dexterity/Acrobatics, but either way an opposed check to see who takes the damage seems like the simplest way to do it.
>>
>>52966215
That just doesn't happen when you start at level 1.
The discipline progression makes you choose between trying to be strong or alive for at least the first 7 levels, and most combos and useful features are useless until a high level.

Tl;dr: it won't happen from level 1, it only happens when you get to pick in a vacuum.
>>
>>52965809
>>52965969

These reasons combined are probably closest to the truth, but let's compare for the sake of argument. Assume they both are using Greatswords for sake of argument

A level 5 Paladin has two attacks, deals 2d6+STR with 1s and 2s rerolled, and has 4 level 1 slots and 2 level 2 slots, dealing +2d8 or +3d8 damage, for a total of 14d8 smite damage available.

A level 5 Hexblade has two attacks that deal 2d6+CHA, and has two spell slots that deal 6d8 damage on smites each, for 12d8 smite damage availabe, but refreshing on a short rest.

Yeah the Hexblade comes out ahead here.

At level 11, the paladin deals 2d6+1d8+STR and a total of 40d8 smite damage available.

The Hexblade deals 2d6+CHA and has 30d8 smite damage available, refreshing on a short rest.

A little closer thanks to Improved Divine Smite making up for the Proficiency bonus to damage, but the warlock comes out ahead if there's even one short rest.

HOWEVER, it wouldn't be too hard to fix. Scaling it down to a paladin's damage progression means the level 5 Warlock would have 8d8 smite damage avaiable per short rest, which only slightly outdoes the Paladin if there's one short rest (which, honestly, is how the game usually goes. Nobody takes two short rests on most adventuring days). At level 11, the Warlock would have 18d8 available per short rest, which would be slightly outdone by the paladin with one short rest. But honestly, that's okay, because the warlock is less MAD, has Mystic Arcanums coming online, etc. It'd be close enough to be balanced enough and simple to remember (Smite? [spell level +1]d8)
>>
File: FlavortownOver.png (316KB, 536x598px) Image search: [Google]
FlavortownOver.png
316KB, 536x598px
>>52966712
Kill him.
>>
Are there any good character sheets that can generate my character when I put in my level and such?
Also asking me what skills/feats I want to let my character use?
>>
>>52966783
You forgot that the Hexblade is using Str too. It needs the same stats as the paladin if not more.
>>
>>52965957
>"it's okay that it's shit because they said that it's okay that it's shit"
>>
Hey /tg/, how do I made a roll20 token for a Large creature on a hex grid? Most tokens snap to the center of a hex, which works perfectly for Small/Medium, Huge and Gargantuan, but Large creatures need to take up 3 hexes, not 7.
>>
>>52966619
I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the two classes didn't need to work together to make something decent. As is either one solo is a pretty shitty experience.
>>
>>52966832

Oh, I see what I did. I forgot that Hex Warrior requires a weapon without the Two-Handed property, but Curse Bringer creates a greatsword.

Still, a Hexblade that's smiting arguably doesn't need much Charisma, since it'd only increase the damage of his Burning/Chilling Hexes. I suppose they need 14 Dex for their armor.
>>
>>52966853
Warlocks are maybe a bit boring mechanically but they're not even remotely weak. Sorcerers get eclipsed by wizards just like everyone else
>>
>>52966759
Sure, but once you reach level 8 the end results are the same. Even if you take the best possible disciplines at level 1 to ensure you survival, you can switch them out as you get more levels so that you get the same stuff as if you had just started at level 8.
>>
Bring back the warlock quirks from the playtest.
>>
>>52966809
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/186823/Character-Sheet--MPMBs-fullyautomated-Printer-Friendly-character-generator

I think you still need to manually select skills and equipment though, although it's all pretty easy to find with drop down menus and stuff
>>
File: War Is Art v2.pdf (628KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
War Is Art v2.pdf
628KB, 1x1px
>>52966696
Here, I have fixed it

I didn't want to just add damage or something, since that wasn't the theme I was going for, so instead I made it possible for a 14th level halfling War-Trance Barbarian to run into battle with two greatswords and make 4 attacks per turn
>>
>>52966794
I'm certainly preparing a few things just in case
>>
File: Immortal's disciplines.png (14KB, 297x192px) Image search: [Google]
Immortal's disciplines.png
14KB, 297x192px
>>52966899
This are my disciplines at level 7, what did you do?
>>
>>52966833
"Hey I made you a sandwich. It's not great though."

"What the fuck man, you just took a shit on a slice of wonderbread!"

"Hey I said wasn't great, you shouldn't complain, that's not fair! Honestly you outta be thanking me for the bread."
>>
>>52966959
Didn't want to add damage. 2 great swords. 4 attacks. Small race.

I don't think this works the way you think it works, Anon.
>>
>>52966833
No it's okay that it's shit because playtests are meant to find shit and fix shit. The problem that was brought up is a valid one. Instead of bitching to us, give Wizards that feedback.
>>
>>52966983
It was a joke
>>
>>52966959
A halfling still doesn't ignore the 'heavy' property, however.
>>
>>52967003
The fighting style I made and included in the pdf lets small races use heavy weapons without disadvantage
>>
>>52966980
Picked Nomad as my order
Nomadic Step
Nomadic Mind
Telepathic Contact
Mantle of Command
Psionic Restoration
Psychic Assault
Talents were Mind Thrust for attacking and Mind Meld for taking memories.
>>
>>52966959
Very Diablo 2.
Now multiclass Ranger and get Whirlwind Attack.
>>
>>52966906
Does it have UA stuff too?

Thanks
>>
>>52967031
Oh, right. I thought monkey grip was an already existing UA feat, since I remember seeing it before. It was probably homebrewed once or twice.

Though really I don't get why you would get monkey grip on a small creature (which usually has +dex) when you could just get duelling.
>>
>>52966984
>implying wizards ever listens to feedback

do you even remember the "open playtest" bro?
>>
>>52967044
Hmm... You got memories, right?
Did you choose them?
And the kidnapping, was it done with Nomad's Gate? It's the only one that works like that.

Did you have any straight combat?
I even let Psionic Assault behind because it was better to support the party, and I burn most off my points poking people back into health.
>>
>>52967081
>Unearthed Arcana (subclasses, races, feats, spells, Spell-less Ranger, Revised Ranger, Artificer, Mystic)
>>
>>52964195
>houserules
How is expanding on what DCs and knowledge checks actually mean a houserule?
How is wanting more detail on social play and rolls a houserule?
How is wanting more combat maneuvers for martials a houserule?
How is wanting more clarity on passive checks a houserule?
The others are houserules which, other than cleaving, I do disagree with but all that shit is asking for WotC to make shit more clear and add a few more options.
>>
>>52965746
Lore bards dont gain access to extra attack, you would want a valor bard for that. Youd be waiting longer for your first magical secrets feature, but with a tomelock you could take hunters mark pretty early on and not need to worry about that.
Im not sure where 'smiting slots' comes in.

Sounds like a neat character, honestly. I've found that is realy difficult to make archery interesting, Id been thinking about some kind of fey agent for an unseelie court for a long time but never sat down to figure out how to do it.
>>
>>52965994
Play a moon elf or half-orc with the Faar-seeker backround.
>>
>>52967197
Yeah I got some memories. Asked party members to give memories of good battles as RP and got some good intel from friendly NPCs about a hidden route to a castle and info on a secret meeting had overheard.
The kidnapping was part of a quest to retrieve some noble lady that had run away. I paralyzed her and our monk just dashed there and back, carrying her to us while others distracted her guards. Naturally I had scouted the building and surrounding areas with my familiar beforehand so it was pretty easy. Teleports were plan B.
There wasn't very much straight combat, just some wolves as a random encounter so I would get a chance to prove my worth to the party and the fight against the lady's guards but they were pretty weak too.
We let the lady go after she told us that her father wanted to sacrifice her in a ritual that would make him more powerful. I confirmed the info with my powers. She knew a secret way to his castle so I asked that memory after resurrecting one of her guards that had died as a sign of friendship.
Sneaking back to the city where the castle was proved very easy as we just used phantom caravan to teleport in and sneaked to the sewers where the secret path was hidden. Then we just sneaked in, woke the lord from his slumber and started pulling the truth out of his brains. He was alone in his dark ritual, the court wizard wasn't even aware of what he was trying to do. So we killed the evil man, took his head so he would stay dead and climbed a tower where we caravan'd the fuck out before anyone even knew we were there.
Next week I'll be the DM again and the mystic will be an NPC under the party's employment at their base of operations. His payment is the memories of their future adventures.
>>
Do you bully That Guy in your group? Or did you just kick him out?
>>
>>52967405
Yeah, you batman-ed your way out of that one.
I have a similar kit, and it's not nearly as good against dracoliches.
>>
>>52967485
I had the advantage of knowing that it would be more about dialog than combat.
But if we had to fight something strong the mystic would surely have carried his weight. Mantle of command is great and there's no defense against Psionic Blast (except immunity to psychic damage).
The only "weaknesses" that I noticed during our short quest was that I couldn't see in the dark and had shit tier AC. An anti-caster monk would probably rip me to shreds.
>>
>>52967569
And the lack of party members executing every prisoner. Never underestimate that.

And yeah, Mantle of Command makes your presence something really useful.
>>
>>52967688
Oh, and my mystic's quirk was that he couldn't speak. At all. All his communication was through telepathy, which is why Telepathic Contact was pretty much mandatory or all my dialogue would have been one on one.
This proved to be bit of a problem later on as our monk and bard went invisible and telepathy requires that you see the person in question so I couldn't speak to them at all during the castle infiltration.
And the other party members found my character to be creepy as fuck as did the NPCs.
>>
>>52967841
Sounds fun.
>>
>>52967865
It was. And it worked as a pretty solid introduction to the mystic as an NPC that can help the party later.
Surely they'll love having a pale, mute, memory eating weirdo with unknown powers hanging out in their home base. No way they'll wake up with him staring at them while they sleep.
>>
Every character I make always has 14 con.
Am I a chump?
>>
>>52968034
All the other stats always seem to matter more.
>>
File: Soultaker.pdf (8KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Soultaker.pdf
8KB, 1x1px
Dank new homebrew

Rate
>>
>>52966890
>Still, a Hexblade that's smiting arguably doesn't need much Charisma

More like can't afford.

Losing access to good EB, a smiting Warlock ends up like a much more fragile paladin. For Hexbringers they're on Medium Armor without Fighting Styles on d8 hit die, and unlike other bladelocks, they are using their spells for damage instead of Armor of Agathys to buff up their mediocre HP.

They do have an excellent defensive feature in Armor of Hexes, but that doesn't come online until 10th.

Overall, it's not *bad*; it gives warlocks the nova potential they lack compared to the king martials (paladin and fighter).

Mace of the Dispatcher is pretty good on Fiend Bladelocks that take their first level in Fighter, also.
>>
Does the spell alarm travel with me?
For example if I alarm my spell book to ping me would it go off if someone tried to sneak up on me when they got 10ft close as I'm walking along?
>>
>>52968498
Alarm is for areas.
>>
>>52967273
>this
D&D has always had a vague explanation for how to handle perception and knowledge checks.

Do you ask players to roll? Do wait for them to make a perception each 5 feet? If they miss an important clue do you give it to them or halt the story completely? What do you tell players with a bad/ok/great monster knowledge check? Is it survival or nature?

At least 4th ed spelled out exactly what you divulge in each monster block based on DC.
>>
>>52968300
>No Homebrewery
>The word Shadow/Death/Soul/Dark in the title
Stopped there.
>>
>>52968300
If a player brought this to my table and asked to play it, I would say no

I'm not normally one to give a flat "no" answer to something a player wants to try, but this?

No, just no
>>
>>52967322
Wait, scratch that bit about tome letting you get hunters mark - its restricted to cantrips and then you can add rituals to it later.
>>
>>52966981
Hey, I made you a sandwich, but it might not be quite right.

Hey, this sandwich has way too much meat and cheese in it. That's not fair to the paladin who got a lot less meat.

No, this metaphor is too tortured. You're complaining that a smiting warlock is too much better than a paladin. Fuck you.
>>
>>52968300
May I ask why did you do this?
>>
>>52968441
Don't hexblade warlocks make really good EB spammers?

The Hexblade curse never specifies weapon attacks or damage rolls
>>
Can barbarians compete with fighters and paladins this edition for damage? Just seems like even Rage Damage doesn't make up for the solid gains the other two classes get.
>>
>>52968676
Oh, totally, and arguably they're better off just doing the standard "EB Turret" schtick than trying to be a gish, but that's Charisma Hexblades. Curse Bringer requires neglecting CHA in favor of STR, so...
>>
>>52968673
Because next session my players are infiltrating a major temple and an angel of a dying god is imprisoned in the temple dungeon. He will offer unlimited power to the one who will gather souls to keep the god alive.

One party member is a power obsessed wizard, and another is a traumatized sorcerer looking for divine guidance, so they might take the deal
>>
>>52968543
4th ed handled monsters really nicely. Monster lore wasn't always something you wanted to know, though.

The perception question is what passive perception is for.
>>
>>52968706
No, nowhere near close. They're decently frontloaded, but their damage doesn't really go up much past 8, and Rogues eventually outscale them.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>52968785
>You can only take one Soultaker level
>Hit points at higher levels: 1d6 + your Constitution modifier

Have you thought of letting someone who's less of a potato run the campaign?
>>
>>52968825
It's fine for squishy rogues to make a single, more devastating strike, particularly since the Barbarian is simply more likely to land his with advantage.

Barbarians are far more than the sum of their damage output.
>>
>>52968874
Oh shit, nice catch

Campaign cancelled
>>
>>52968804
So when it comes to traps, you just tell your players their location if their hidden DC is lower than their passive perception? Sounds boring.
>>
>>52969032
Not that guy, but I tell them something about the trap.
They might see a raised tile, a suspicious hole in the wall or something like that.
>>
>>52969052
This.
>>
File: Ted_groovy_gang.png (119KB, 250x299px) Image search: [Google]
Ted_groovy_gang.png
119KB, 250x299px
>>52969052
Wouldn't that be passive investigation?
Which is a thing, according to the Observant feat.
>>
File: Inteligence vs. Wisdom Check.png (378KB, 474x428px) Image search: [Google]
Inteligence vs. Wisdom Check.png
378KB, 474x428px
>>52969090
No.
>>
>>52968706
For damage? Maybe not, but as far as survivability goes, barbarians are the best, moon druids a distant second.

>>52968825
>Rogues eventually outscale them.
I highly doubt that. Not with GWM, at least.
>>
>>52969123
Can't argue with that.
>>
I'm making a homework Ogre race for my setting. Was looking for some feedback.

Ogre
> +2 STR, +1 CON, - 2 INT
>30 ft speed
>Medium
>Powerful build
>Proficiency in Athletics
>Unreadable Mind
The sheer stupidity and randomness of the thoughts that travel through your head constantly make reading your mind am exercise in filtering noise from signal. You gain advantage on saving throws to resist having your mind read.
>Dumb Luck
Luck shines upon you out of sheer pity. Whenever you fail a saving throw, attack roll, or skill check, you can make an Intelligence saving throw against the same DC. If your saving throw succeeds, you critically fail the check. If your saving throw fails, you succeed. You regain use of this feature after a long rest.
>Languages: Common and Giant
>>
>>52969255
It's funnier when the fighter sees a switch and goes to press it without asking anyone, and triggers a trap that wouldn't even be activated otherwise.
>>
>>52969123
Thanks that really put things into perspective
>>
>>52969273
Darkvision
>>
>>52969273
Looks pretty good.

>>52969331
Why must every race have darkvision
>>
File: no-sir-I-dont-like-it.gif (121KB, 500x511px) Image search: [Google]
no-sir-I-dont-like-it.gif
121KB, 500x511px
>>52969273
>Medium
Is this a Dungeons and Dragons ogre or a Dreamworks ogre?
>Ogres getting an extra skill
Their high strength is sufficient
>Unreadable Mind
Far to rare a circumstance to be even remotely useful.
>Dumb Luck
Critical failure was always a dumb fucking mechanic for DM lulz.
>>
>>52968300
Fails the bag of rats test.
If you want to make it work, then have something like
>gain a slot 1 spell level higher, can only be used to cast a spell that targets a single creature
>the target creature is then marked for the soul eating entity, when it dies its soul gets eaten
then, on your next long rest
>if the soul has been eaten: remove all reductions to max hps, gain 1d6 temporary hps, and recover an extra spell slot of the max level you can cast +1
>if it hasn't been eaten: lose 1d6 max hps, and (if used) recover an extra spell slot of 1 level less than the day before
>>
File: 1287671796232.png (11KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1287671796232.png
11KB, 429x410px
We're playing the Storm King's Thunder campaign and we just reached the Thane of the Stone Giants to steal some item that looked like an oyster that was gonna teleport us to the Maelstorm in order to figure out what the fuck has happened to the Giant's leadership

The fight was 100% impossible, we snatched the item from the thane mid-fight and then tried to retreat, but people started dropping to zero by that point so getting them out was a pain in the ass
I'm a wizard and I actually went back in to save more people with dimension door after some epic running, jumping and wall climbing action (potion of climbing) in order to reach dying party members and teleport them the fuck out of there

Pretty good overall, it's a shame the fight itself was so completely undoable. I'm not sure if it was on purpose or if the guys who made it fucked up in their calculations. Or maybe our DM made it so, I dunno.
>>
>>52969273
I actually like this. I have never liked a Homebrew before.
>>
Had absolutely worst idea in long time about diceless 5e.
Use average rolls, and when attacking each 5 degrees of success/failure either halves or doubles damage. Disadvantage is flat +5 or -5.

Anyway, about something not-retarded, do you think making cast-time in more relevant.
For example, when spell is cast, it finishes at character's iniative - spell level ( ex. if character casts 5th level spell and initiative is 17, it finishes at iniative 12 ). Damage during casting forces a concentration check ( con DC 10 or damage/2, whichever is higher ).
Or perhaps it just makes things too complicated.
>>
>>52969351
What the hell is the bag of rats test?
>>
>>52969379
It would probably get complicated, but it might be fun to use a physical ruler or something for an initiative timeline. Have a marker for the "current" initiative, then place character tokens (and spell tokens with your system) at corresponding points on the ruler.
>>
>>52969441
Some abilities can be exploited if they give you a bonus upon killing something by killing swarms of defenseless things like rats.
>>
>>52969441
When the wording on any spell/skill/whatever is vague enough, you can trigger it killing rats that you spilled from a bag.

Also, IIRC, the cleaving rules of 5e do not pass it.
>>
>>52964005
>How would you improve 5e
First and most importantly: change short rests to be 10 minutes so that parties aren't extremely averse to resting during an adventuring day, which fucks the warlock hard and the battlemaster even harder.
Give the eldritch knight 1/2 caster progression instead of 1/3. I haven't seen the arcane trickster in action as much as I have eldritch knight but they probably don't need it since base rogue is already strong. Or maybe they do need, again, I don't know what the AT playstyle is.
Condense Champion's Remarkable Athlete into the features they get at 3rd level, it's a joke as a standalone 7th level feature and that makes it so the only thing champions have for the span of most campaigns is the crit on 19. Replace it with an at-will cleave or something so that Champions have a niche instead of just being a collection of stat buffs for retards.
Make Indomitable work like Legendary Resistance, the fighter has multiple levels where all they get is that thing and it's a shitty ability as it is. "I failed my important DC18 wisdom saving throw twice in a row, thanks indomitable".
BUFF the berserker barbarian. I say change the effect so that they get a third extra attack when in a frenzy instead of a bonus action attack. Some people would say it's better to remove the exhaustion effect but that just leaves them as a boring archetype without any of the "Wow!" factor totem has. Big sacrifice for big gains is much more interesting.
GIVE SORCERER MORE SPELLS KNOWN
SPEED UP THE RATE THAT SORCERERS GET METAMAGIC OPTIONS

Finally, either remove nonmagical weapon resistance from all monsters or give every martial a way to get past it on their own. Just make silvered weapons affect everything or something. Most martials are already one-trick pony classes (i hit it with my sword), they shouldn't be relying on the whims of the GM to even use that trick effectively.
>>
>>52968300
i rate it homebrew/10
>>
File: k3b8a7b6hjuy.jpg (314KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
k3b8a7b6hjuy.jpg
314KB, 2048x2048px
I made my boyfriend a DM screen for his birthday. What do you guys think :P
>>
>>52969595
What it is made of?
>>
>>52969595
I think you should have bought him one
>>
>>52969595
It's "ok" but if you add some things like helpful charts for 5e or info about conditions it could be better. The images being colorless are kinda sad...
>>
>>52969579
>Give the eldritch knight 1/2 caster progression instead of 1/3
I would say eliminate the magic school requirements instead.
>>
>>52969595
This is basically the perfect example of homebrew vs. the actual thing.
>>
>>52969632
That works too, but my group has been using 1/2 progression with the school requirements left in and it works fine, so that's what I default to suggesting now.
>>
>>52966194
>Yellow Sea
>celestial sea

Spicy
>>
File: DM Screen-Cheat Sheet 2.0.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DM Screen-Cheat Sheet 2.0.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>52969595
Print stuff from this cheat sheet and paste it on the inside of the screen. Some helpful stuff here for DMs.
>>
>>52969546
That's actually pretty smart way to do it.
>>
>>52969595
It was a thoughtful gift, though as other anons have said--the real utilitarianism behind the GM screen is not that it hides rolls, but that it readily provides useful infor to the GM/DM. That said, some tables on the inner leaves for conditions and such would be immensely useful to your bf
>>
>tfw nobody to play with
>>
File: necron.jpg (18KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
necron.jpg
18KB, 300x280px
>>52969595
Useful/10
It serves it's function and he will be more happy for your personally crafted gift than any store bought DM screen
>>
>>52969742
holy shit how have i never seen this before this is great, thanks anon
>>
>>52964005
Has anyone ever thought about starting a discord for 5e?
>>
>screen elitists
My DM uses rulebooks for a screen. If it's a good day he might bust out some cheap beaten up folders- that's a real treat
>>
>>52969923
About five anons have actually done it.
Then it dies.
>>
>>52969342
>>52969331
What about low-light?
>>52969347
>dnd Ogre or DreamWorks?
More or less based somewhat off trolls from The Witcher. Bigger than a human but not quite 'large' sized. Imagine something more Minotaur or Goliath sized
>Ogres getting an extra skill
In my setting Ogres are slaves that are used for manual labor. Proficiency in Athletics makes some sense.
>unreadable mind has niche use
That's sort of the point. A niche, rarely useful, but flavorful ability. It was designed to be a cornerstone of the race or anything.
>Dumb Luck
Is the ability fine tho? I'm mostly concerned about balance here.
>>
File: 1486593003419.jpg (63KB, 497x388px) Image search: [Google]
1486593003419.jpg
63KB, 497x388px
>>52969923
Yeah, we don't talk about the autist fest that is the discord now fuck off.
>>
>>52969933
Fuck, anyone got a link to one of'em?
>>
>>52969947
That bad?
>>
>>52969968
Yes it's fucking 4chan there is a reason people are anonymous and they feel safer in the discord to be pfg tier erp garbage.
>>
Why the fuck do people like CoS so much? Strahd is a whiny little screamer.
>>
>>52969871
Ikr? I use it all the time, it's really practical.

>>52969802
>roll20.net
>>
>>52970014
The supposedly dark atmosphere, along with possibly seeing it through rose tinted glasses from playing the original.
>>
>>52970014
I like the gothic horror tropes/setting
>>
>>52964379
>Fix retarded subclasses like Frenzy Barbarian.

retarded how? I'm asking because I always see hate for frenzy barbarian on this board.
>>
File: zEk4TA.gif (951KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
zEk4TA.gif
951KB, 320x180px
>It's another episode where I remember I hate one of the PCs I DM for
>And resist the urge to fuck him over because of it

Nothing wrong with the person, his character is just hot garbage.
>>
>>52970167
People don't like that to actually get the extra attack you have to take a point of exhaustion to do so.
>>
>>52970178
do go on
>>
>>52965729
The other edition is the thread topic.
>>
>>52970204
We have a pretty good solution for it. One point of exhaustion is removed after 24 hours.
>>
>>52970167
Because once you use your rage long enough you can actually kill your self with it through exauhstion.
>>
>>52970167
A bear totem barbarian with polearm master does basically the same thing as a frenzy barbarian but better
>>
>>52970167
>retarded how? I'm asking because I always see hate for frenzy barbarian on this board.
Frenzy barbs main thing is the bonus action attack at the cost of exhaustion, the thing is, though, they can get that with polearm master or great weapon master with no exhaustion
>>
File: 9t7hr7abl1renkn2o1_500.gif (608KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
9t7hr7abl1renkn2o1_500.gif
608KB, 375x211px
Had my first argument at the table today. Been making me kind of stressed out.

>Wildlife has grown hostile as the result of the local high druid's burial site being ransacked
>Players investigate and learn that there's three hill giant brothers who attacked and stole treasures from his grave
>Players follow the trail to the giants' stomping grounds.
>First giant is guarding a bridge. Since this is the very edge of the giant's turf, the players convince the giant that they're just vagabonds passing through and pay the giant's toll for passage
>Second giant is asleep deeper in their turf. The party sneaks by him without waking him up
>The third giant is guarding the entrance to the cave where they keep their treasure. The wizard casts Charm on him, and they pass without conflict into the dungeon.
>Party explores cave, avoids a few traps, fights some monsters that the giants keep as pets, etc
>Retrieve the burial shroud they came for
>The party prepares to leave the cave
>Charm Person only lasts an hour
>Party took short rest
>PHB says when Charm Person ends, the Charmed creature knows it was charmed
>Giant went back and got his brothers
>Main entrance sealed with rocks.
>All three giants waiting at hidden exit
>Party flees down the hill while being chased and pelted with rocks, Rogue PC knocked into negates
>Players try to save him but have to leave him behind because they aren't equipped to take on three hill giants at once
>Hill giants capture Rogue and bring him back to their lair
>Remaining PCs recuperate and begin to plan rescue mission

The game isn't ruined, but the players told me they weren't entirely happy with how the session ended either. The players think I effectively punished them for solving three separate encounters cleverly and without violence by combining them together into one big encounter they had no chance of fighting, but I was just trying to do what made sense to do in the situation. I feel kind of shitty, though.
>>
>>52970232
Are you actually retarded or just pretending?
>>
>>52970205
He made a somewhat ditzy tribe kid who left because of an orc attack that killed half the tribe and left his asshat uncle in charge. Main problem is the party will ask him "hey let us do the talking since you tend to fall all over yourself and just tell them everything." He will inevitably either forget or ignore it even though he has fuck high wisdom and should be able to pick up on this.

The main issue though comes in the form of trying to metagame. Someone asked to make a check if they knew what a bunch of lycanthropes were as they were surrounded by a town full of them. He tries to make the same thing but asks "can I make like a wisdom check?" When I asked why he said "I have a hunch". Instead of starting a fight and telling him no you fucking have a hunch your character, once again, was a tribe boy and knows fuck all about this, I let him roll.

Also he fucking made Keyleth from Critical Role, if it was intentional or not I can't say but she is a garbage character because she does the same fucking thing. We get it you were sheltered in a tribe but you've traveled the world and should be such a dipshit by this point.
>>
>>52970301
why didnt they just carry the rogue away with them?
either way just make the heist to save the rogue interesting and it will be fine
>>
>>52970301
so your players are mad because they didn't read their spells carefully?
>>
>>52966334
Necromancer and their 12 Skeleton Archers.
>>
>>52970232
I get that but as others have said GWM or PAM reduce it's usefulness to almost nothing. Also due to the penalties of exhaustion it makes it very niche and you only use it when you think it's the last fight of the in game day.
>>
>>52969379
I thought the whole appeal of D&D and other rpgs was rolling dice.
>>
>>52970301
I feel like you're not telling the whole story because this sounds like a pretty cool session. As the only person in the party with charm person, I make sure to fully plan out how my target could could get revenge on me after the spell wears off. Mostly, I just charm weak humanoid enemies to get favors out of them.

Your party charmed a fucking HILL GIANT and they knew he had two other brothers near by. The outcome of that is entirely on them and I don't see how they could be upset because now they have a cool rescue mission to go on.
>>
>>52970301
Charm Person cannot target Giants, as they are not "humanoids"
>>
>>52970014
Because it's actually good and you're a screeching autist.
>>
>>52970301
>The game isn't ruined, but the players told me they weren't entirely happy with how the session ended either. The players think I effectively punished them for solving three separate encounters cleverly and without violence by combining them together into one big encounter they had no chance of fighting, but I was just trying to do what made sense to do in the situation. I feel kind of shitty, though.

Not really, they used a spell on the last giant and didn't keep in mind it's drawback and restrictions. True it's was a clever for the other ones but they fumbled and it went fubar at the end. The only argument I can see being made is would the hill giants be smart enough to think up that plan, could be the players think hill giants are just big dumb hit point bags.
>>
>>52970301
No, anon, you did not do wrong. You did very good, the party's plan was just incomplete to achieve the kind of success they wanted. It sounds like you stick true to the ways of gygax and dice. I totally get why they're upset at you creating a 3 hill giant fight because they WOULD be a pretty impossible fight because if they were high enough level they would have just TPed out of there(or in) instead of all those individual steps. But the party is at fault for underestimating the Hill Giants and overestimating the Charm spell.

Rogue wakes up in 1d4 hours with fairly easy DCs to slip his bonds, possibly bait the giants into turning on each other, and stealthily slipping away back to the preparing party.
>>
>>52970301
>Hill giants didn't immediately tear into the rogue
>they get to go on a rescue mission
What's their problem?
>>
File: 11 - L7Je37X.jpg (349KB, 411x640px) Image search: [Google]
11 - L7Je37X.jpg
349KB, 411x640px
>>52964005
Already dropped this in the game finder thread, but dropping here:

>GM or Player
GM

>System(s)
D&D 5e

>Time availability
Saturdays, 6-10pm Central Time.

>Text or Voice
Voice

>Contact Information
Discord: NS#8831

>Additional Information
Using Maptools for play, Discord for voice.

Set in the Legend of Zelda universe a couple hundred years after the events of Zelda II. It's an "evil" campaign focused on reviving Ganon and killing Link.

If you adore LoZ, and can only tolerate established lore, this game is likely not for you.

Looking for two players.
>>
>>52970343
>>52970364
Nobody's too upset and the players are excited about the rescue mission, so it might be my anxiety talking when I said "argument. It's just that my players are mostly new to D&D and there was a bit of contention after the session ended since I had been talking about how I wanted to give them opportunities to overcome challenges without combat and, as the Barbarian player pointed out, "it felt weird that our reward for nonviolently getting by three giants who we probably could have killed on their own with a short rest inbetween was to have them jump us all together in an encounter we had no way of winning."
>>
>>52964058
>Revised Ranger
My only issue with it as a DM is it essentially makes difficult terrain pointless and maps unnecessary since they cant ever get lost. Plus i dislike the idea of taking my Ranger players 'extra attack away for some weird co-ordinated attack
>>
>>52965248
Rhombuses are only squares when they are also rectangles.
>>
>>52970301
When did you learn your players were whiny little shits?
>>
>>52970464
That Barb has a good point, so tell him this:

"Your reward for getting past the giants nonviolently was that they didn't kill the rogue as soon as they captured him."
>>
>>52970464
He has a point however I'd personally say "that is true however with charm's duration only being an hour had you all not short rested you would have gotten away. I'm not trying to punish you I'm just following how the spell was written and the actions the group took."
>>
>>52970301
Well the thing is that you're signalling that all enemies should just be killed.

Maybe the charmed giant could go after the players to prove himself to his brothers, or maybe the players could hide while the giants searched for them (in the middle of the dungeon, then when the giants have passed them they could make their way for the exit). Or perhaps the players could have found another secret passage. Also, the giants couldn't know that the players were unable to somehow move the rocks or teleport / dig out, so it's a bit weird for them ALL to just wait outside the secret exit.

Did you describe that there were a bunch of giant rocks near the entrance of the cave?
>>
>>52970506
That sounds like exactly what the party is complaining about with the whole being punished for doing something nonviolently.
>>
>>52969242
Moon Druid far outpaces barbarians because wildshape refreshes on a short rest, and they can heal themselves in combat wildshape. I estimate that in a typical adventuring day, a Moon Druid has 3-4 times the hp of a Barbarian and 6 times the hp of most other characters.
>>
>>52970439
>The only argument I can see being made is would the hill giants be smart enough to think up that plan
eh, the plan isnt very convoluted, it's just "Get brother 2 and 3" then "Smash with rock." Even regular animals can come up with that sort of plan.

>*seals entrance* Now dey no escape!
>But wut about duh SEEKRIT entrance?
>uhhh...ummm...Smish 'em wit dis rock!
>>
>>52970586
I get that but sometimes players think monsters don't or shouldn't be allowed to use tactics.
>>
>>52969550
Throw a rat up in the air and swing greatsword like a baseball bat. Cut thru rat, also cut thru enemy. Enemy is now infected with black plague.
>>
>>52970613
Well, that's their problem, not the GM's.
>>
File: image00259.jpg (157KB, 1280x1808px) Image search: [Google]
image00259.jpg
157KB, 1280x1808px
>>52970464
>>52970301
I have experienced similar circumstances, where as a player I felt cheated by the unfairness, but the baddies were genuine in their ambush, it's what they would have done.
But just like your party, there was hope in the future, and the 'rescue' mission (in my case, survival and revenge mission) paid off.
It's probably an issue of ending the session at such a narrative low-point that everyone feels like shit. I think it's a matter of session timing, leaving everyone in a hopeless situation and going "see you guys next week" is going to ruin everyone's evening.

Give your players a great rescue mission session, and everyone will forget it.
>>
>>52970650
It'll be the DM's problem if they start throwing a fit and it ruins the game. Be diplomatic in some situations especially since they are new to D&D.
>>
>>52970506
>>52970543
I've been talking things through with them, so I think next session is still going to be pretty fun. The feedback's done a lot to alleviate my concerns and it's given me a bit to think on for my next sessions, too.

>>52970669
This is really good advice, thank you.

>>52970695
That was a different anon, not me, I'm definitely doing my best to be diplomatic. It's been a pretty fun ride to level 5, so one disagreement over a call isn't going to ruin anything.
>>
Are there any good conversions of D20 Modern/ D20 Past for 5e?
I'm too much of a casual to use the regular systems.
>>
>>52970892
There's Ultramodern5 by a third party but it's not great.
>>
On which level should a standard 4 person party be reliably able to kill a wyvern?
>>
>>52970919
What issues do people have with it?
>>
>>52970925
a fully rested level 4 party, an adventuring day level 5 party.
>>
>>52970925
Mine killed one at like level 6
>>
>>52970883
Well then so long as you're doing what you can instead of "well that sucks, rocks fell you died" it shouldn't be too bad then. Good luck and remember if you have to kill off a party member due to bad luck make it as epic as possible, unless you're doing a more gritty campaign.
>>
My friend who DMs needs rules to help guide him make solid encounters among other things, will he have a bad time with 5e where the edition is don't worry bro, wing it and have fun?
>>
>>52970981
My biggest issue is that they introduced "ladders" as an alternate progression method but they are literally just linear feat trees, taking up your ASIs. They're also finicky with lots of +1s and shit.
>>
>>52971023
5e is popular because DMs want to run 5e because it's the most DM friendly version.

http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

tell him 6-8 easy-hard encounters a day with 2-3 short rests once the party is level 3+; bingbangboom easy
>>
>>52971041
Thanks for the info man, I'll give it a read for myself.
>>
>>52971023
Have him read (or run) lost mines of phandelver. That can help. He could also get a basic understanding of what spells can be cast by your party at any given time.
Knowing that you party can burst 200 damage in one round can change encounter building pretty heavily.
>>
>>52969355
If you try to do any of the "giant dungeons" in STK at the advertised level, in a straightforward manner, with a party of ~5 people who aren't somehow tiny Gods thanks to absurd stat rolls / busted classes / extra magic loot, you will lose.

Every giant is generally more than a match for each PC when you consider they have 2-4x as much HP, higher ABs, and probably do double the damage as you, plus ranged attacks that make anything your party can do look like shit.

If your DM runs them in any fashion that makes narrative sense, giants will pour out of every adjacent room and murder you. You either cheese the SHIT out of every encounter like you're playing 1st Ed and herding sheep or barbarian minions everywhere, rely on your DM to not understand that creatures have ears and legs that can take them places other than "towards the party", or you run around like a bunch of chickens with your head cut off and try not to die while accomplishing the bare minimum of what you set out to do.
>>
>>52971139
>playin STK
>hey fight these orcs
>that was fun
>hey fight these bigger orcs and their mounts
>that was fun
>hey fight this giant
>that was a fun boss fight
>hey fight these uthgardt tribesman
>that was fun
>hey fight these yaks
>that was fun
>HEY HERES AN ENTIRE DUNGEON OF NOTHING BUT GIANTS WHICH WERE BOSS-TIER LAST LEVEL
nope
>>
>>52971081
Ah sweet, thanks dude. I do think he wants a crunch heavy game though, no idea why if 5e is dm friendly.

>>52971115
Yeah, true that and for the suggestion dude, will tell him to keep that advice in mind.
>>
>>52969355
Nope wasn't the DM. The only thing he didn't anticipate was that you guys shouldn't even be attempting things until level 10+ unless you're all powergamed gods playing mystics and shit, and you still have to cheese it. iirc like half the stone giants can cast time stop and shit.

You should communicate with the group that that fight probably wasn't a fluke, and make the parties plan to retreat and begin a massive preparation campaign.
>>
>>52971234
Ironslag? That place is a fucking death trap. Worse than the fucking Amber Temple.
>>
>>52971266
Anything that isn't Hill Giants, basically. That's actually doable if you don't engage everything in the throne room and connecting areas at the same time. Enemies that can actually arrive as backup (shit in the basement, hobgobs in the tower) are far enough away that it takes some time for them to arrive, during which you can kill a lot of shit. But I think even the giants that are there + all the goblins could give a party some real trouble. Thankfully Harshnag is nearby.
>>
>>52969951
https://discord.me/5eg
is one of them, but it's not dead. About 1,000 Members, a twentieth of which could be considered active
>>
>>52964732
Elemental weapon adds 2d8, right? And if you're making it do necrotic damage, might as well not bother giving then the spell but instead something like 1 ki point to add 1d8 necrotic damage, with a maximum of 5 ki spent on a single attack. That could probably be a level 3 feature, and scaling would come in the form of getting more ki at later levels to make more attacks/stronger attacks.
>>
>>52971354
Sorry anon your link doesnt seem to work must be a dead one
>>
>>52971115
>Knowing that you party can burst 200 damage in one round can change encounter building pretty heavily
This. I'm a pretty new DM and we have 6 players and I always underestimate the party's damage output. A CR 16 enemy? Sure kill him in one or two rounds, it's not like it was supposed to be a hard battle.
And yes I know, minions and more minions. I just wish I didn't have to resort to throwing in more enemies just to make the fights more challenging.
>>
>>52971539
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>52971552
>https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
Nope not working must be private
>>
>>52971541
You could always prevent your entire party from dunking all their burst onto a target, or have longer adventure days so that they have to conserve some resources.
>>
>>52971541
Play the monsters smart, give them cover, high ground to use lair actions if you really feel it's necessary. Another thing is to try and use up some of the parties resources before they get there.
>>
>>52971646
Or use*
>>
File: homunculi.png (161KB, 307x397px) Image search: [Google]
homunculi.png
161KB, 307x397px
Again, perhaps this is a bad idea.
>>
>>52971541
Then immediately after the combat where they burst and do all that damage, you throw another combat at them. Then before they get a short rest you have another combat. Then while they're trying to take a nap there's another combat. Make them wish they hadn't spent all their resources in one fight.
>>
>>52971652
Highly situational since there aren't a whole lot of save or roll new character spells left. Also removes a very real danger from the few enemies who have it.
>>
>>52971581
>https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
it works for me
>>
>>52964379
>Diversify the spell lists (There's only one cantrip that deals lightning damage and it's a melee spell attack).
lightning lure.
>>
>>52971541
Extreme damage a round only comes out in two(three) ways
>People are using spell slots or things that take long-rest to recover
>You're running with the DPR bork GWM/Sharpshooter feats or other attack multipliers
>dice gods

Feats are optional rules and are poorly balanced. GWM/Sharpshooter should be specifically not allowed by DMs at least, or the party will just be playing rocket tag with dragons.

The former come from the use of a burnable resource, and as such should offer such potential, and that's okay. That's why you have multiple encounters in a day- casters eventually run dry on big spells.

Combat should only be ~4 rounds long in 5e anyway.
>>
>>52971723
It requires a SAVE and gets the target into melee range.
>>
>>52971805
I understand what you mean, one of my players wanted to play an ice themed mage. Went ahead and compromised on a fireball nock off, they wanted the effect to work like with ray of frost verse firebolt, so I dropped the damage dice (from d6 to d4) one down and let them have the effect.

It sucks not having official material but it's possible to Frankenstein shit together to work the way you want.
>>
>>52965277

Only if you assume a fumble is due to a fuckup, rather than the opponent doing something awesome.

Which is better:
>your level 20 fighter drops his sword
>your opponent takes advantage of a small gap in your guard and disarms you
>>
>>52965277
they're all trying to outdo each other
>>
As a GM, do you tell your players the number they're trying to hit (AC for attacks, DC for checks, and so on), or do you just tell them if they are successful or not?
>>
Are monks useful outside of being a stunbot?
>>
>>52972323
Not at first, but they usually figure it out after a couple rounds anyway.
>>
>>52971652
>Components: M, S, V (components)
This triggers me. You can't provide blood for verbal components, silly!
>>
>>52965194
The entire point of critical fumbles is that they should be situational.

There are many cases where you simply have no reason your character could fuck shit up, and in those cases you do nothing.

Or, use critical failure confirmation rolls against a DC, meaning that the higher your bonus, the less likely you are to fuck up.

Also >>52972288
Is kind of right, though it seems kinda weird that the enemy effectively does a reaction move without a reaction.
I'd word it more like, 'which is better':
>You roll a natural 1 to figure out a mysterious mechanism board with buttons and levers. You're an idiot, so you fuck it up and break the lever..
>You roll a natural 1. You seem to be getting an idea, but it seems the device is faulty in its old age and as you're testing a lever the whole thing snaps off as you engage it.

>>52965354
Still, it discourages melee combat further.
>>
File: 6542.jpg (171KB, 1366x717px) Image search: [Google]
6542.jpg
171KB, 1366x717px
First time player here. I'll be rolling stats for a character tomorrow and I'm a bit scared.
Can you guys give me some character ideas? Generic or class specific is fine, I just need some ispiration to prepare for whatever I get.
>>
>>52972514
>Rolling for stats
>>
>>52972557
thanks for the help.
>>
>>52972323
I normally don't disclose that, but give clues such as "that just barely hits" for AC, on DCs it just changes how much information they get access to.
>>
>>52972514
I wouldn't roll for stats, but if that's the way your DM does things then it's fine.

Would you rather a spellcaster or a martial? If you don't really know I'd highly recommend a Rogue, they're simple enough, don't have resources they run out of and have good in and out of combat abilities.

As for background, what about a Noble who was 5th in line? Unlikely to ever be head of the house he spent his his time with the house Spy Master and picked up a thing or two. One day he made a mistake (Anything from accidentally killing a man in a pub fight to angering the King at a diner) and his family covered it up but disowned him.

Now he's using his skills to go out and adventure hopefully able to become famous enough that his family will let him back home... Also to make money.

It's nothing original but sometimes the simplest backgrounds are better then "600 pages of my Tiefling Shadow Sorcerer doing edgy shit".
>>
>>52969379
Makes something like Misty Step or Shield useless, unless you made special rules for spells like them.
>>
>>52972514
At the beginning of each class description, there's like three paragraphs of examples of characters. Surely something will spark an interest.
>>
>>52972682
>Misty Step
Doesn't involve dice in any way... It's a bonus action teleport.

Are you thinking of Blink or something?
>>
>>52972323
AC is something I don't get picky about hiding. I don't tell my players outright, but if they attempt any action to discover, I give them the exact AC number. Likewise, I expect my players to be able to combine meta knowledge with practical knowledge- plate and a shield is high AC, chainmail is moderate AC, hide armor is low AC, beasts have natural armor, rock-creatures might be tougher, dragonscales, etc.
>>
>>52972709
Not entirely true. Look into Magic Circle, whatever that Magic Circle was made that tries to teleport through the circle (even Misty Step) has to make a Charisma Saving Throw.
>>
>>52972758
Well if we're already doing diceless D&D then Saving Throws don't require a dice roll.
>>
>>52972789
>>52972709
Anon's misty step post was referring to the second part about initiative and spells.
>>
>>52972807
Well, once again that doesn't do anything to Misty Step. It just makes it take 3 initiative counts longer which makes it worse but not useless at all. If he another person who thinks it's a reaction for some reason?
>>
Haven't been around for a few weeks, did Codex Arcana Anon ever post a new edition?
>>
>>52972838
>Cast misty step
>Okay I want to use extra attack to attack enemy because I'm a bladesinger or something
>No, you can't, you have to ready an action and thus lose your action

>Trapped by enemies
>Cast misty step
>Enemies pummel you to death before it happens
Though this is kind of intended
>But if you rolled really poor initiative like 0 this wouldn't happen
>Being bad at initiative could actually potentially make spellcasting easier?
>If you could get low initiative on purpose, the enemy would fight with you to get a slightly lower initiative so they can stop you escaping

They might well have thought it was a reaction, though. It's definitely awkward because you have to ready an action, but it's not useless. They might have mistaken it for feylock's level 6 ability.
>>
>>52972911
Well it would only delay it by 2 initiative counts and while there is a reasonable chance 1 person will have their turn then making it worse, it is far from worthless. Also it's good for out of combat utility.

I have a feeling he was just another person who thought it was a Reaction. I DM at a game shop most weeks and pretty much every new player gets it and thinks it is. I don't why but it has to be the most common mistake I see other then not doing Attack Rolls right.
>>
>>52972997
I guess people think it can be used 'whenever you like' since it's some fast teleport thing.

Still, it gives them a chance to potentially break your concentration, which really sucks if you're using it to escape a grapple because you also had an action you didn't use using to escape the grapple because you assumed your spell would work. Or, I guess you could try to escape with your action, but you'd lose your action if you succeeded with casting.
>>
>>52972997
I know it's a bonus action. Maybe other people use it differently, but when I use it it's because I need to GTFO right now. Or it's outside combat, in which case, no problem.

I do concede that it doesn't make it useless. Does for Shield though.
>>
File: jf87u2Z.jpg (1005KB, 1554x1662px) Image search: [Google]
jf87u2Z.jpg
1005KB, 1554x1662px
First time GM'ing, supposed to be writing a setting ahead of the game. It's hard. Is this enough to get off the ground?
>Simple info on the country they start in
>More detailed info on the starting town and area
>Quest Hooks
>Some ideas about what might be outside of the country

Failing those, is it feasible to just lift parts out of other settings and reskin them?
>>
> Everyone gets to pick a song to play during our sessions
> Put on Mongolian throat singing
> They love it
>>
File: 1491511374865.jpg (51KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1491511374865.jpg
51KB, 600x604px
>>52969379
>About something non-retarded
>Posts something hue levels retarded
>>
>>52973190
Yep, you've got the barebones of a setting, which is completely fine if you guys are starting out. The players aren't going to be exploring the entire nation in a session, so as long as the village and its immediate area is reasonably fleshed out, you're good.

Leave some things open ended for player improv and you're golden.
>>
>>52968300
when will you people learn that 99.99% of homebrew is hot garbage
>>
>>52969550
Also worth noting that Fiendlocks require a "Hostile Creature", but Long Death Monks don't.

Long Death really is a great tank.
>>
Thinking of homebrewing up some feats for Simple, One-Handed, Throwing and Versatile weapon mastery.

I probably won't just take the -5 Atk, +10 damage on all of them but would like something with roughly the same powerlevel on each.

Anyone have cool ideas for features? So far I've got unlimited throwing weapon draws on throwing mastery and that's it.
>>
>>52973190
start small and build up. Build a tavern- not physically, just describe it and name it and generic one-two memorable parts of NPCs. Build a village- just make a list of the # of shops, stables, smithies, taverns, general population count and % makeup. Build a plot hook. Build a local hex map. Build a dungeon. Let it rest and see what the party does. Grow it from there.
>>
What's a good name for a goblin ranger?
>>
>>52964630
Did Dendar get finished?
You da real mvp.
>>
Which school of magic is best for a wizard? I was thinking illusion but seems like a trap
>>
Can anyone recommend any level 1 one-shot adventures? My coworkers want to learn how to play and I don't want to have to use a large adventure as an introduction.
>>
>>52973657
illusion is cool if you've got a DM that will go with it.
I've played with some DMs where all enemies can somehow magically see through illusions they never interacted with.
>>
>>52973659
You could try Sunless Citadel, in TYP. It'll definitely take more than one session but introduces a lot of concepts well.
>>
So Im playing a dwarf in a point buy system, and its some weird homebrew this dude is trying out. I know, sounds like trash, prolly cause it will be but I feel like joining anyways, so what are some fun classes to do? Spell casters are gonna be a bit debuffed btw, so nothing that is useless without them.
>>
>>52970583
>I estimate that in a typical adventuring day, a Moon Druid has 3-4 times the hp of a Barbarian and 6 times the hp of most other characters.
Have you taken into consideration their ACs and resistances? Barbs can have at the very least 15 AC, which can be worked up to around 20. Moon druids for most of the game have 12 AC at the most, they are so easy to hit that if you throw anything hard at them their HP goes away FAST.

Even then, Rage means barb's HP is effectively doubled against any physical attacks (or everything if bear). To top it all off, then there's Relentless Rage. Nothing compares to Barbs in survivability, man.
>>
>>52973631
Lurtz
Ugluk
Yarht
Keemuk
Norman Osborn
>>
Give me ideas for racial features to reflect great skill with riding horses and stuff.

>Proficiency with Animal Handling
>Using some other stat for Animal Handling (Cha, Dex/Str)
>Advantage on checks to influence your mount
>Lower Speed penalty for mounting / dismounting
>No auto-prone if you get knocked off your mount
>>
>>52973812
>Some weird homebrew
What is, the setting?

>Nering spellcasters because 'muh setting'
Pff
For a hill dwarf, dex barbarogue focusing on upping con, obtaining tough and going bear barbarian is nice just for the 'I'm a useless but unkillable faggot' routine.

You could play a Cleric even if they do nerf spellcasters, hill dwarfs are pretty suitable for that. If you somehow pick up booming blade / green flame blade you can have a moderately reliable cantrip attack, though you could go mountain dwarf instead in that case, or try to get shillelagh.
>>
Rate.

Simple Weapon Mastery:
- Before you make an attack with a simple melee weapon in one hand that you are proficient with or an Unarmed Attack, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you can make another Attack with the -5 Penalty that can't benefit from this feature.
- While wielding one simple weapon, not holding a Shield and you aren't wearing Medium or Heavy Armour, you get +1 AC
>>
>>52973938
So what Light armor, two-handed simple weapon build are you trying to facilitate with this and why do you think everything falls apart if a dual-wielding Fighter in fullplate tries it when he could have a glaive and PAM/GWM instead?
>>
>>52971541
>>52971728
I find that what mostly imbalances combat towards the party is GWM/Sharpshooter. No need to ban them and deny your martials their fun, though. You just have to acknowledge monsters were probably not designed with those feats in mind and increase the HP of anything that should be a challenge to them.

I.e. I'm running a dragon heavy campaign and my party has both those feats. As a result, every dragon has 1.5 * their average HP in the MM.
>>
>>52973938
The only people who would want this is monks.
And..

It might be ever so slightly too powerful for them, because their attacks are weak but they usually have extra attacks (Up to 4 by level 5 without feats) and the +10 matters more for them.

The real issue though is it continues to push the 'compulsory weapon feats' agenda. If you want a monk with more damage, sure, +10 sounds nice but the fact you also get +1 AC starts balancing it with an ASI for defence.

Remove the +1 AC and it's well-balanced for monks who can take it as a damage option instead of defence, maybe add in some ribbon feature.
It'll still be shit on anybody else.
>>
>>52974095
move 'em on, head 'em up
>>52974095
go on, git, pardners
>>52974095
wagon train's rollin' out
>>52974095
>>
>>52973967
Rangers, Monks and Barbarians are the people I see getting a benefit from this.

Barbarians can trade 4d6+20+4+(2xSTR) damage for twice as many attacks at 4d6+8+(4xSTR). On them I'd say it ends up about the same (45 vs. 42 with 20 STR and +2 Rage) and the +1 AC will help them. Also more Attacks means more chance to crit.

Monks are the weakest damage dealers out of any martial and this lets them get an extra 3-4 Unarmed Attacks averaging +22.5 at levels 5-10 but with a lower hit chance with all their -5 Attacks. The +1 AC does help them

Revised Ranger Deepstalkers and Hunters get more attack earlier and the opening round of Advantage helps make up for the penalty. Also works with Dual-Wielding Daggers letting them make 6-8 Attacks at level 5 with a -5 penalty for an average of 39 damage and +21 from Hunters Mark. Actually might be a little too strong on them

I've also already homebrewed a rule in my games that someone can only get 1 Weapon Mastery feat.
>>
File: Arch Mage Eleurem.jpg (160KB, 620x452px) Image search: [Google]
Arch Mage Eleurem.jpg
160KB, 620x452px
Just wondering what everyone's favourite class in 5th edition was? And why? What's your least favourite?

For me, I love Wizard. There are so many choices and it suits the play style I like. Let's me be the secondary main character by being useful to the group. I usually take one damage cantrip and one major damage spell like fireball and then just focus on utility. Playing illusionist in my current game.

Least favourite thus far is probably barbarian. Just found it boring and underwhelming.

https://strawpoll.com/5zz7w89
>>
>>52967322
By going 5 into warlock, i can get extra attack from the lifedrinker invocation, so i dont need to go valour. I want to use my lvl 6 magical secrets for fly and find steed so I can fly around on a magic horse with mirror image going, raining death from the skies. I've never played an archer before so hopefully will be fun.
>>
>>52964136

A party of 4 or 5 is expected to win against a CR monster as "just another fight". They can fight several battles against several equal CR enemies before needing to rest.

An adult dragon won't really give a medium level party pause. They can kill several. A brood of juveniles or a wym are much deadlier.

If you want an enemy that is really a challenge, you either need to have a lot of them and let numbers do the work or seriously up the CR by increasing some combination of hp, damage, and other abilities. Even then, players out numbering a monster makes it easier to defeat than number indicate.
>>
>>52973190
Holy shit fucking savage
>>
>>52974255
it takes you 11 levels to get both an extra attack and magic secrets if you stay with warlock long enough for lifedrinker.

2 warlock/10 valor gets you the same one level later, but three extra levels of actual casting progression
>>
>>52974291
Right. I understand the action economy. My question was more of a "is 5 CR=LV enemies simultaneously a 50/50 chance of success"
>>
>>52974189
I very much agree with the wizard.

If you don't play shit archetypes or metagaming multiclasses like cleric1/wizardX or bladesinger, the wizard is a class with clear strengths and weaknesses.
They can be the most powerful, yet also the most vulnerable.

They have utility that has interesting uses (Though I find casting rituals sometimes seems a pain as you try to get the point across you're standing around for 10 minutes trying to do unimportant shit to save a spell slot) and good power with having arcane recovery and a wide selection of great spells, yet they're also quite vulnerable and when they're not casting spells they have to make tactical decisions like casting a low-damage cantrip, dodging, trying to interact with the environment or using, say, minor illusion because their damage cantrips hardly affect a fight.

However, I really like the concept of Artificer too, even if the execution had a few flaws. At-will abilities are great; No holding back because you're worried about resources.
Then, magic items can serve some interesting uses if you get ones that have some varied applications.
Expertise in tools encourages some creative tool-stuff.
The mechanical servant (Though it should be changed a bit) could have uses, too. Like a familiar, but less bullshit, I feel.
And... Aside from gunsmith being shit, alchemist has an interesting option - They can equip a shield, but they suffer a penalty for doing so - disadvantage on initiative, str/dex saves, grapples.
>>
>>52974255
Why would you NEED extra attack?
You already have access to agonizing+repelling blast. Unless you're trying a grappler build (You clearly fucking aren't) you don't need extra attack. If you really want extra armour, take moderately armoured.

Oh, wait, this is about some funky UA bladelock build. Yeah, my response to that is 'Why?'
>>
>>52974460
I need to go at least 3 into warlock for the pact of the blade, so I can actually access the moonbow. If i go 3 warlock 10 valour bard, that could definitely work, but I think the extra magical secrets I get from lore bard (3 vs 2), which also comes online 2 levels earlier than it does for valour, is better. Plus I would not get extra attack until level 9 instead of 5 if I went valour. Last and not least, cutting words is just so much better than combat inspiration.
>>
>>52975205
Yeah, it is an UA bladelock build, I'm going archfey and pact of the blade so I can get the Moon Bow from the warlock+wizard UA. The reason why is I want to make a fey archer character, using charms, manipulation, and a kickass bow when I need it. Crunch wise, the Moon Bow smiting is very powerful, especially when combined with the extra spell slots I get from going bard. And I will be using moderately armoured for this build as I plan to max out dex and cha.
Thread posts: 407
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.