[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mtg Standard general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 39

File: zqjMMYE4nC.jpg (88KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
zqjMMYE4nC.jpg
88KB, 850x500px
Didn't see one edition.

Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck? Maybe even just a draft?
>>
>Didn't see one edition.

Probably because nobody wants to talk about a three-deck format.

I still like to make dumb decks from time to time but with the Standard landscape right now I feel like it's almost necessary to have to beat those decks if you wanted to try to win something you made yourself. I want to run Rakdos Aggro but I know I have to tech in so many things just to counter Catcombo, Mardu Vehicles, GW Humans/Tokens, and that one guy who plays GB Delirium.

That said Amonkhet Sealed is the best draft format right now and I know my shop will be running that on release date, which leaves me excited to go this week. Can't say I'll play much Standard unless I get something together, though.
>>
>>52903644

>That said Amonkhet Sealed is the best draft format right now

After partaking in 3 prereleases and prizing out and doing a couple drafts and doing well, I would argue that drafting it is soooooo much better. So many archetypes, I love it
>>
Copycat wasn't banned so this thread is pointless.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-04-17-gw-lifegain/

do you rike it?
>>
So what are you guys playing while you wait for copycat to be banned and Gideon to rotate out? I'm playing EDH.
>>
>>52904620

Building a Nicol Bolas multiplayer EDH deck myself, sure am not giving WOTC any money.
>>
>>52904620
I'm wondering if /tg/ can shittalk every Standard thread ignorant people or shills make to get the message through to all the players on the board that Standard is a shitshow.

I'd be interested if we could agree on something. Whoever thinks this isn't a dumpster fire is someone who I wouldn't want to have in any community.
>>
>>52903644
It's up to three?
>>
>>52904733
I'm guessing Mardu Midrange/Vehicles, Crazy Cat Lady and now Double Gideon
>>
I recently built a deck that is basically just removal, but the more mana I have the more cunty the removal is, like using Kari Zev's expertise take an opponents cresture and then either bone splinters it to kill another of theirs, or use it to pay an emerge cost.

No it doesn't win any games, which is why I'm going to build a -1/-1 nest of scarabs deck because that's what I got in the prerelease and I went 2-1-1
>>
>>52905171
Just play control
>>
>>52905270
Yeah then I'll neck myself for being the worst kind of person.
>>
>>52905348
>runs nothing but responses
>but control is bad

You're thinking of permission, anon.
Permission is the reason Wizards keeps a muzzle on Blue.
>>
>>52906046
You're right I am thinking of permission. But I don't play magic to win, I play to see the hatred in my opponent's eyes as I make his day worse.
>>
>>52905171
https://youtu.be/iMMs_YyVo8A

Good as place as any to start
>>
I wanna build UW embalm, splashing black for Rags to Riches and Start to Finish. Sadly standard is still looking horrible, with Vehicles and Cats stomping any possible opposition. Even the hate cards for either just slot into those decks to make them better against one another.
>>
File: image-20170424_122004.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170424_122004.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
UR Drake Haven is real.
>>
We all know how the format will evolve. Nobody is interested until the banhammer hits and when it does, it might be too late.
>>
Call me crazy, but it works better against cat and cars then anything else I've tested.

Grapeshock

Main:
4 Aetherflux Reservoir
4 Dynavolt Tower
4 Galvanic Bombardment
4 Harness the Storm
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Magma Spray
4 Pyromancer's Assault
4 Shock
4 Sweltering Suns
4 Tormenting Voice
20 Mountain
>>
>Hazoret doubling in price

Knew I should have bought my playset when she was $3 a pop, guess people figured out that the card is actually fucking great
>>
Are there any precons worth buying as a returning player?
>>
>>52910039
I really don't like how we don't have decent answers to pw. Barely had good enough answers to creatures and now we have these new indestructible God's to deal with. There really isn't much in standard that's playable and good against the gods. At least I have a playset of blessed alliance and anguished unmaking to work with.
>>
>>52910094
No, there used to be event decks that were halfway decent but wizards stopped that due to putting good cards in a sealed product hurting their bottom line
>>
>>52911033
Burn from within is a card that removes indestructible.
>>
>>52909359
What your board look like? I'm down for burn anytime.
>>
>>52911733
I don't have one yet. I brewed that up at 12:00 last night. I reckon it'd just be some artifact hate and indestructible hate.
>>
>>52904620
Dipping my toes back into modern (left when Twin got banned but my Melira deck is valid as ever) and powered cube as always. Hell I even drafted AMH twice, it's an okay format like every other recent standard format.
>>
>>52906079
>lmao control players are the worst permission is so gay
>i dont play to win i play to trell my opponent xd

you must be 18 to post on 4chan
>>
>>52911303
>burn from within

Ah yes, let me just pay 5 mana at sorcery speed to destroy your 3 mana 5/4 that has already dealt 10 damage to me, presumably
>>
>>52903458
>Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck? Maybe even just a draft?
8 Gideon Saheeli combo
>>
Rules question from sealed I never got to ask:

During the game, I used the Riches side of Rags // Riches to steal the opponent's only creature, Aven Initiate. Next turn, he plays Angel of Sanctions, exiling the Aven Initiate. Next turn, I play Vizier of Many Faces, copying Angel of Sanctions and exiling his Angel of Sanctions.

Now that his Angel of Sanctions is no longer on the battlefield, Aven Initiate returns to play; but under whose control? the owner's, or the player who was the controller when it was exiled? We asked the judge, and he had to look it up online. He decided that it came under my control since I had controlled it, but he didn't seem sure. Was he right?
>>
>>
I'm waiting for my GR Energy deck to arrive so I can hop back into the format.

Making energy and doubling power all day every day.

I think Rhonas as a 2 or 3 of could work well in the deck but no money.
>>
>>52911978
I feel like you should be splashing for green or white to help with that.

Also soul scar mage should be in a burn list most definitely.
>>
>>52912534
Was going to tell you to read the card but it looks like they stopped putting the reminder text on cards.
(That permanent returns under its owner's control.)
>>
>>52913768
Welp, I stole a match then.
>>
Will be W/R human aggro deck any viable?
/tg/, in the main do you exchange one Gideon for one mountain?

2x Aether Hub
4x Always Watching
4x Bloodlust Inciter
4x Expedition Envoy
3x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4x Glory-Bound Initiate
4x Hanweir Garrison
4x Inspiring Vantage
4x Metallic Mimic
4x Mountain
4x Needle Spires
3x Outnumber
6x Plains
4x Thalia's Lieutenant
2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4x Village Messenger
sb:
2x Combat Celebrant
2x Gideon of the Trials
1x Glorious End
4x Harsh Mentor
2x Magma Spray
2x Make a Stand
1x Shock
1x Sweltering Suns
>>
>>52914574
I'd probably play 3 mana Gideon and take out Thalia. You should be fast.
>>
>>52913263
>midrange
>requiring more ability than an aggro deck

Hah.
One is constantly crunching combat math to get lethal as fast as possible. The other just looks at the board state, considers the four pieces of removal in hand, and decides if one needs to be cast.
>>
>>52915120
If every aggro build had comparable complexity to affinity I would agree. You won't find that in standard
>>
>>52915160
but affinity is not aggro :^)
>>
>>52914670
I've not the possibility to try the Platinum Gideon but I think that the Gideon Ally in a build like this is strictly better.
Honored Crop-captain looks underwhelming
>>
>>52914574
I hope so, I like this deck list. I am an advocate of Boros Humans in standard.
I've been running a W/R human aggro deck in standard for a while now. Very strong deck among those at my LGS. Does well against a variety of strategies, smashes cat combo with some sideboard action.

Easily integrated to Mardu with Unlicensed Disintegration & Fatal Push if need be.

Inventors apprentice with heart of kiran/metallic mimic for low mana cost power on the board early in the game. Build a presence with Gideon and Always Watching on the board with Glory bound Initiate for a major threat. Throw down Thalias Lieutenant whenever suits, preferably slightly later in game for a pump on all humans. Underestimated finisher with Hanweir Garrison Going wide with high levels of power and tokens. IF lucky enough can give him haste with Hanweir Battlements. In grindier games you can easily get off the Writhing Township meld.
>>
>>52904620
Legacy (Big Red) and EDH (just finished Dralnu Doomsday)
>>
>>52904620
Mostly Pauper, with EDH and Modern sprinkled in.
>>
>>52911033
Really? I thought the amount of -1/-1 counters made indestructible really more of a navigable obstacle
>>
>>52911033
What's wrong with Grasp of Darkness?
>>
>>52915120
>This is what aggrobabbys actually believe
>>
File: fling.jpg (41KB, 255x361px) Image search: [Google]
fling.jpg
41KB, 255x361px
super-secret deck tech for Pummeler.dec
>>
File: GLORIOUS.jpg (25KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
GLORIOUS.jpg
25KB, 200x285px
Can somebody explain to me why this glorious son of a bitch is pre-selling for $13? What am I not seeing?
>>
>>52903458
I need to update my W/B lifegain deck a bit (which after the last rotation turned into more or less a Vampire tribal). The monuments look good for a little ramp as well as making some tokens to sac. Considering the white cartouche for similar reasons.
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26

AHAHAHAHAHAHAPOIHGEPIOAHGPIOAWJHGPOIHAWGPIOAHWGPOIHWAGPOIWHGPIOWEHGIOHWEGPIOHSEPIOGHSDPOIHG
>>
>There are cucks in this thread right now not playing copy cat
Lmao, why haven't you just killed yourself you poor worthless faggot
>>
>>52919958
Well fuck me, time to go buy mardu vehicles
>>
>>52919835
its a 5 drop 44 with flying and haste you can exert and deal 4 damage to something like scrapheap and its exiled. so it cant be brought back.
>>
File: 1427141098230.jpg (9KB, 135x128px) Image search: [Google]
1427141098230.jpg
9KB, 135x128px
>>52919958
(you)
>>
File: 50a.jpg (55KB, 600x760px) Image search: [Google]
50a.jpg
55KB, 600x760px
>>52919958
>Tfw my faggot friend bought into copy cat literally immediately after monday's ban announcement
>Tfw just texted him what is he going to do with his banned cards?
>>
>>52919958
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>52919990
It doesn't exile on kill.
I don't know, maybe I've just been trying to force these 4-5 mana dragons they put into all sets for so long with no results that I've become cynical. The last one I remember being this expensive was Stormbreath, and he was a mythic.
>>
>>52904527
it is now
>>
>>52919958
It gets banned on friday http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26

Also don't tell or encourage people to kill themselves you worthless faggot.
>>
>CAT BRAINDEAD COMBO IS FUCKING DEAD

HAHAHAHAH FUCKING FINALLY ALL THOSE NETDECKING KEKS GETTING WHAT THEY DESERVE

FINALLY THE RETARDED CAT MENACE CAN END LMAO
>>
>>52920194
>don't tell or encourage people to kill themselves
Jusr how new are you?
>>
File: IMG_0291.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0291.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
I think we all know who to thank for this
>>
>>52919920
At least tell us nigger, if anyone hasn't read it yet CAT IS BANNED, THATS RIGHT WE'RE FREE! FUCK YEAH!
>>
>>52920247
I think you mean our Lord and savior at channel fireball
https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/pro-tour-copycat/
>>
>>52912263
Not 12 Giddions?
>>
File: 312561.jpg (20KB, 167x182px) Image search: [Google]
312561.jpg
20KB, 167x182px
>Cat banned

NANI???
>>
File: Kings.png (382KB, 663x549px) Image search: [Google]
Kings.png
382KB, 663x549px
Nice format, Wizards
It would be a shame if somebody...
Played a 1 mana 3/2 into a 2 mana 4/4 flyer
>>
File: felidar.png (123KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
felidar.png
123KB, 223x311px
apology for poor english

when were you when filmore cot dies

i was sat at home drinking standard tiers when WotC ring

'filmore is die'

'no'

and you?????????????
>>
>>52920344
can you declare heart as an attacker if it isn't a creature at the start of declare attackers, the first part of the overall combat phase?
>>
>>52920344
I really don't understand what beats Mardu vehicles now, like yeah copy cat is dead, what happens now? Mega Mardu vehicles dominating?
>>
>>52920467
Do you even play standard? Do you even play magic?
>>
>>52920467
At beginning of combat triggers happen before declare attackers. Toolcraft becomes 3/2 and then crews Heart before attackers are declared. This is how I understand it.
>>
>>52920500
I usually see people activate manlands at the end of main phase, moving to declare attackers, so I was simply wondering. Eat a dick, nigga
>>
File: SS02250420017.jpg (163KB, 1440x972px) Image search: [Google]
SS02250420017.jpg
163KB, 1440x972px
>Decide to come back to standard
>Pic related happens

Now what. What the fuck.
>>
>>52920650
never play meme decks again
>>
>>52920650
Literally have no one to blame but yourself
>>
Brewing some funky Jund shit.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-wide/
and
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-04-17-OKf-jund-midrange/

need cuts and tuning but yeah.
>>
>Emergency ban just one day after data gathering
Someone explain this to me. Did they really want to see the data or are they using it as an excuse for the fuckup of not banning it yesterday?
>>
>>52920650

In my experience Copycat only killed you with the actual combo about 40% of the time. At it's core its just a temur energy midrange deck with a white splash. Heck, in all the time I played against it I usually lost to thopter tokens off of whirler virtuoso instead of the combo.

Share your decklist, I'm sure we can figure out a way to make this work. The value you get off of Saheeli copying stuff is plenty.
>>
>>52920478

Probably G/B constrictor decks. The only reason why Mardu was so good was it was the only deck that could reliably beat Copycat. With it gone all the other decks that had poor matchups will be able to return.

Plus there's a ton of artifact hate in standard now. Mardu is going to have to rethink their gameplan if they want to survive.
>>
>>52920806
The thing is, the danger of dying out of nowhere was very real and forced people to keep mana open to answer the combo. The 4c saheeli deck just used that window to get a better board. And if they had the combo and the opponent tapped out, game over. It was a win-win scenario for saheeli pilots.

Now, watch saheeli dissapear from standard. She will live in modern from now on.
>>
>>52920889
>Saheeli in modern
Lel
>>
>>52920795
Seems like a reasonable excuse to me. If I were them, I'd like to make sure there was no other option before hitting the nuke button on a card, and therefore a deck.

But really, who cares. Saheeli winter is finished, and that's all that matters.
>>
>>52920244
Don't know actually. I've been to /tg/ regularly in the past and taken breaks. Also does your use of the word "here" mean /tg/ or 4chan? It doesn't really matter because I don't remember.
>>
Good riddance to copy cat. now i can seventh sun in peace

>>52921117
yep that's pretty new
>>
>>52921117
4chan. Encouraging people to kill themselves over ultimately retarded shit has been a tradition here since 2006.
>>
>>52921117
4chan across all boards has the habit of telling people to kill themselves to the point where the weight of the phrase is nearly non existent and just found funny the rest of the time by others with similar humor.
>>
force of will/mana leak reprint for hour of devastation wotc pls
>>
>all the hate cards in amonkhet wasn't enough to keep cat down so they had to ban it

holy shit
>>
>>52921503
>What we expected to take a few weeks to understand has ended up taking two days to form a clear picture of a metagame unbalanced by the Copy Cat combo, as even its natural predator, Mardu Vehicles, fell behind.

>Amonkhet could take down Mardu Vehicle but not Copy Cat

jesus christ
>>
>>52921503
Guess which deck uses that artifact hate better than anyone else.

Yeah, such a slap to the face for wizards.
>>
>>52920650
>Investing in cardboard

AHAHAHAAHAHAHA
>>
>>52921624
Maybe the fucking problem is that you can run 4c 20 land goodstuff decks in fucking Standard because of how many mana fixings you've printed.

Whatever replaces cat is just going to be more 3/4 color piles of value cards.
>>
File: 1490305416860.jpg (127KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
1490305416860.jpg
127KB, 1024x687px
Now that Saheeli Combo is banned, what would I use as sideboard against Sneks&Ballistas? Tons of removal and hope they don't go from snake to Rishkar? I am playing a B/R Vehicles deck, btw
>>
>>52904527
>>
>>52919958
Lol now you can go kill yourself Saheeli fag
>>
>>52903458
>cat banned

I'm building dimir control with Kefnet and Gearhulk as the only creatures. What key spells do I need?

>Creatures:7
3 Kefnet the Mindful
4 Torrential Gearhulk

>Spells:28
4 Fatal Push
3 Essence Scatter
4 Grasp of Darkness
3 Negate
3 Pull from Tomorrow
3 Edifice of Authority
4 Void Shatter
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination

>Lands:25
4 Choked Estuary
4 Fetid Pools
10 Island
7 Swamp

(as an aside, i'm bad at mana bases.)
>>
>>52919769
>implying that's a better use than loading up on "Totally Not Atog" and cheap artifacts.
>>
>>52920889
>Saheeli
>Modern
Wew
>>
This is what I'm thinking of running. Honestly I feel like there's a possibility for some good token overrun strategy but it's finding the right token makers for it.

Lands:
2 Irrigated Farmland
1 Fetid Pools
7 Plains
4 Island
3 Swamp
2 Choked Estuary
2 Concealed Courtyard
3 Port Town

Creatures:
2 Angel of Sanctions
4 Anointer Priest
2 Aven Wind Guide
2 Glyph Keeper
2 Oketra the True
4 Sacred Cat
4 Hanweir Militia Captain

Spells:
2 Dusk // Dawn
4 Anointed Procession
3 Failure // Comply
2 Start // Finish
3 Anguished Unmaking
2 Fatal Push
>>
Finally Standard is at least decent again, Saheeli combo was such cancer after it became 4 color goodstuff.
Either going to play B/G Delirium now or W/R Aggro.
>>
>>52920889
>saheeli
>modern

Look guys, I can meme too!

fuck off
>>
File: 1424741926270.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1424741926270.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Just a brew thats a work in progress (UW cycle/discard drake)

// 60 Maindeck
// 7 Creature
3 Baral, Chief of Compliance
4 Spell Queller

// 11 Enchantment
4 Drake Haven
3 Oath of Jace
3 Peace of Mind
1 Anointed Procession

// 18 Instant
4 Censor
4 Essence Scatter
4 Negate
3 Unsubstantiate
3 Hieroglyphic Illumination

// 22 Land
3 Prairie Stream
3 Irrigated Farmland
7 Island
6 Plains
3 Geier Reach Sanitarium

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

// 15 Sideboard
// 4 Creature
SB: 2 Archangel Avacyn
SB: 2 Kefnet the Mindful

// 3 Enchantment
SB: 3 Imprisoned in the Moon

// 3 Instant
SB: 3 Dispel

// 3 Planeswalker
SB: 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
SB: 2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets

// 2 Sorcery
SB: 2 Dawn

feed back is welcome

>>>pic kinda related
>>
>>52920463
In bed after a fap
>>
>>52921465
Those are so far apart in quality of counter that I have no idea why they are even grouped together in your post. I could see Counterspell/mana leak. Hopefully mana leak
>>
>>52924457
use tappedout
>>
When was the Golden Age of Standard?
>>
Are there fun decks right now?
>>
>>52924581
Return to Lorwyn-Shadowmoor when?
>>
>>52924494
Power level of the UU counterspell is insane, i think they never gonna release it standard/modern

Mana leak seems more plausible
lilbit sad that censor is a worse miscalculation
>>
File: 1476991462611.gif (407KB, 359x371px) Image search: [Google]
1476991462611.gif
407KB, 359x371px
>>52919958
(You)
>>
>>52924581
Innistrad/RtR
>>
>>52924562
why, to lazy to remember cardnames?

deckstats.net/deck-12970626-2b1c30208654b677730b0e87c42714fb.html
>>
>>52924758
>too lazy
no, not autistic enough to remember every card in the game.
>>
>>52920277
I do actually believe that article played a big part in it
>>
File: Enigma.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Enigma.png
127KB, 223x311px
Does Enigma Drake deserve a spot in UR control decks? Is Whirler Virtuoso just better in decks with energy synergies? Can a true tempo deck exist in this format?
>>
>play platinum angel on turn 3
>play gideon, ally of zendikar on turn 4 and sac the worse gideon
>win the game with glorious end 3 mana extra turn

That's a nice ruinous path you have there. It'd be a shame if it were to be exiled on the stack.
>>
>>52921465
Force in standard would be a total pile. You understand why force is good, yes?
>>
>>52925111
It's good cause it's free, duh, u faggot, lol

In all seriousness it's good cause it can stop degenerate combos even if it's turn 1 or tapped out, otherwise vs fair decks it's usually not worth two for oneing yourself, different anon btw.

As for the thread now, I'm thinking Jund delirium, rdw, and maybe ub cycle. Feels good being able to tap out without worrying bout instalosing
>>
>>52912215
Or two mana and any other removal spell
>>
How good/bad will red green pummeler decks be now?
>>
File: sealed.png (2MB, 1986x838px) Image search: [Google]
sealed.png
2MB, 1986x838px
Anyone like to help out a new player with a sealed deck? Lost 3 matches, winning only 1 round so far, although I might call jons and say I fumbled the controls on my first match (mtgo). It can also post the whole collection unconstructed to help if you think starting a new deck would be better.
>>
>>52922062
Can i look at your list? I'm running the same deck and some possible new tech would be great.
>>
File: sealed.jpg (657KB, 1986x838px) Image search: [Google]
sealed.jpg
657KB, 1986x838px
>>52925568
woops didnt mean to make that png.
>>
>>52925521
considering there's gonna be far less shocks being played, I'd say the viability of Pummeler is gonna go up.
>>
>>52924647
When they're able to make good sets again, with less ridiculous pushing and more viable answers I hope
>>
>>52924647
I want this so bad even though it's probably never gonna happen. I want more faeries to make modern faeries viable again.
>>
>>52922620
Add four aether hubs, change illumination for glimmer. Replace kefnet with walkers or metallurgical summonings. Now you can splash a third colour. Preferably white for blessed alliance, anguished unmaking. You won't lose a single game if you tweak your removal and permission to the meta
>>
is this a good time to get into standard? I want to home brew a zombie tribal, and have a few of the pieces already (not that it would be too expensive)
do you think the meta in a casual rural game shop would be easy enough to at least have some fun with, or will one big dominant deck arise in amonkhet and force netdecking?
too bad there is not pauper being played within a hundred miles
>>
>>52920247
Is that actually desolator? Are there any pics of him?
>>
>>52925949
The most dominant deck in the format just got neutered, so if there ever was a time to play the current standard, it's now.
>>
File: 1463370229230.jpg (82KB, 555x526px) Image search: [Google]
1463370229230.jpg
82KB, 555x526px
So now what happens now that cat combo is gone?
>>
>>52926145
Gideon Tribal.
Landing Authority of the Consuls means you're a-okay on building up that wall of tokens.
>>
>>52924795
AutocardAnywhere
>>
>>52926145
the format is saved

there might actually be room for a good control deck now that they can focus on just killing Mardu
>>
File: 1493026943753881.png (247KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1493026943753881.png
247KB, 375x523px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drakecycle/

As the cat is banned I'm gonna run this. But cathartic reunion feels a little dead. I'm almost always pitching it to something else. What could I replace for?

Should I splash black?
>>
>>52926584
Tormenting voice is better 90% of the time, try that.
>>
>>52926618
Check the list my nigga. I gots it. I want to replace reunion with something else. Help me out.

Also how about 3/3 on shock and magma spray?
>>
>>52925960
Not desolator, he is way fatter.
>>
>>52926647
gotcha. 8 of those effects is way too much, they're going to be dead way too quickly.
Your deck doesn't actually *do* anything without drake haven on the battlefield, so I'd focus on more control than burn.
You need Baral, Chief of Compliance, coupled with some Disallow, and your choice of Negate/Essence Scatter. Censor is good too.
Lightning axe is a really bad card imo, it doesn't hit players, and you don't have enough consistent payoff to make discarding to it effective.
Enigma drake would be really cute, you need more creatures than you currently do.
Maybe a control package with harnessed lightning, glimmer of genius, and aether hub would be good too.
Lmk if you need more help.
>>
>>52903644
>That said Amonkhet Sealed is the best draft format right now

fuckin right. I ran BW zombies and killed
>>
>>52926771
Ran WB zombies in the 2HG pre-release event with 2 lili's, 2 wayward servants, 2 lord of the accursed, plague belcher, bontu, liliana's mastery, dread wanderer and 3 wander in death. And one of those cycling demons for good measure.

Most fun limited deck I've seen. Had an opponent almost flip the table in frustration when we played a liliana the turn after they managed to kill our first one, then continue to drain them for 4 every time we made a token.
>>
>>52904453
After having played a couple of Amonkhet drafts I'd argue that it's actually a pretty bad draft format. It suffers from the board getting clogged up and ending in stalls much like any of the recent sets with few ways of getting out of them due to the scarcity of good removal, but it's not just more the same problem as usual, but even worse due in large part to embalm which makes it so that even if you manage to break a board stall once you have to do it again the next turn.

The only mechanic I've enjoyed playing with in the format is cycling, and considering that this is the fourth time we see it and has existed for more than half of the game's lifespan by now that's not speaking well of the current state of the design of the game.
>>
>>52926716
Thanks for the advice senpai.

Axe has to stay as it's the only decent removal.in the colours as well as being a Drake enabler. I have bedlam and curator but I could fit in another creature. I think 2 negate and 2 scatter would be good. Illumination is basically glimmer for tempo decks.

I kinda want to replace cathartic with a decent discard outlets

Splashing black or white will give me more control for sure. Black gives me another cycling wincon and white gives me more cyclers.
>>
How does it look bois

https://deckstats.net/decks/82191/716026-ub-cycling/

Deck feels fine on xmage, new perspectives help a lot enabling kefnet and once you reach 7 cards in hand with it on the board the payoffs with drake haven and the black drainer are immense
I'm not sold on shadowstorm vizier at all, I'll probably change it for something more control-oriented
>>
>>52926921
I've drafted twice and this seems consistent. I'm going to force my way into Red next time and see if some Blazing Volleys don't help. That and snapping up every Magma Spray I see.

>Heaven//Earth and Sweltering Suns are both rare
Wizards please.
>>
>Give people JUST enough time to think "Oh, I guess cat combo isn't going away" and buy into the deck
>Pull their several hundred dollar purchase out from under them 2 days later.

It's like Wizards WANTS to kill standard

I'm so happy I don't bother with this meme format.
>>
>>52927078
>implying wizards cares about how jew'd you get by the secondary market
>implying they don't do some of this intentionally to stir the pot

They banned Sensei's Divining Top too, but you don't see Legacy players being dumb about it.
>>
>>52919920
Oh WotC. You never cease to amaze me. Whenever I think "oh, they would never do something as stupid as *that*" you go right ahead and do exactly that.

You're a constant source of laughter in my life.
>>
>>52927093

>Thousands of players buy into deck
>deck gets banned
>lose out on major investment
>lose faith in standard
>Wizards loses an assload of players both as enfranchised customers who are spending money on standard and as FNM players who keep the standard play environment alive
>"lol Wizards don't care"

Even if you're right that would only mean that Wizards is monumentally retarded
>>
>>52927173
>Wizards is monumentally retarded

are you new?
>>
>>52927173
Shit dude, if you hate wizards so much, just buy up and sit on specific cards. Rares and Uncommons before RtR, or rares after that point. Just find some 1.00 - 3.00 card that a deck or two uses (Maze's End comes to mind) and buy as many as you can afford.

Keep doing this until you've artificially driven demand up and the card sits at 5.00 - 10.00 in value.
Artificial spikes like this don't work for generating value (since it doesn't generate real demand) but we're only interested in seeing the price go up, not making money. We could burn the cards we buy and the result would be the same. We're drying up supply, killing a deck/card, and that's it.

Do this across enough rares and people start losing faith in the game. That, or Wizards is forced to do reprints and we get a laugh that they played into our joke.

Whatever man.
Fuck Wizards and fuck Magic.
>>
>>52920847
Do you reckon there won't be enough people playing with -1/-1 to hate on snek?
>>
>>52919920
INCASE NO ONE NOTICED, THEY BANNED FELIDAR GUARDIAN
>>
>>52927281
wow I literally hate Wizards.
>>
>>52927173
Yes, it was a fucking retarded thing on their part to do. The reasonable thing would definetly have been to let the deck dominate the pro tour and then ban the cat in the next announcement. As they said they would.

On the bright side, however, if you're one of the people who did buy into the deck, it can likely still compete as a Temur Midrange deck even without the cat.
>>
Wow. This many shitters shitting up the thread being salty about an inevtiable ban. Sure wotc fucked up not banning it Monday but if you play such a deck and you're not a retard you knew it was coming. Get over yourselves.
>>
>>52927434
I, for one, am glad that Wizards can make the tough calls and ban troublesome cards instead of listening to the redditors crying about hurt "fee-fees"
>>
>>52927499
DON'T PRAISE WIZARDS FOR DOING THIS

MARDU VEHICLES STILL EXISTS
>>
>>52927518
I don't think you understand the power of By Force.
>>
>>52927529
>I'll hit your Scrapheap Scrounger
>H-heh...
>>
>>52927499

There literally wouldn't have been a problem if they either banned it 2 days ago or banned it after the PT.

This emergency ban shit burned a ton of people for no fucking reason.
>>
>>52926921
>It suffers from the board getting clogged up and ending in stalls
Maybe you're just bad/playing on xmage?
>>
>>52927550
It's Peregrine Drake all over again.

>No ban list changes
>Oh wait hang on here's that ban list change you all expected 2 days later
>>
>>52927543
You don't understand the power at all.

One a one-to-one ratio, it's equal. Card for card, mana for mana. That's the revival cost I'm considering, and that's what's important.
We kick this up to two Scroungers. Pay 3 mana and one card, remove two and require 4 mana to revive them. Great.
Any Kirans or Ballistas on the board are bonus.

This is a good card.
It wins the tempo match.
>>
>>52927173
>Thousands of players buy into deck
>deck gets banned
>lose out on major investment
>lose faith in standard

as opposed to

>thousands of players stay away from standard period because the top deck is broken and wotc even admitted that
>new set has a lot of hate for the second strongest deck for some reason, making the top deck even stronger
>wotc loses a lot of potential future customers cracking new sets
>people lose faith in wotc because they let standard continue in a broken state

And the people who bought into Cat combo knew what the fuck they were doing, this was never to last
>>
>>52927592
fuck off man, I just want to play my damn cats.
>>
>>52927592
They were given warning that it was being looked into but crucially had a while until the next B&R annou-SURPRISE!
>>
>>52927592

>Missing the point this hard

The problem is that they EMERGENCY BANNED IT instead of doing it normally.

Those two days were more than enough time for a large amount of people to buy into the deck.
>>
>>52927569
I can't believe I'm reading someone say that a card which can only blow up artifacts is the solution to a standard deck which runs 4 Gideons. Skullclamp and Ancient Grudge are in the same formats.
>>
>>52927614
Why anyone would buy into a deck that was being looked at for bans is beyond me.

The B&R announcement had passed, yes, but it was still public knowledge that the deck was under scrutiny.
It's like buying stock in a company under Federal investigation. Why?

The only people this hit were the people already prepared to sell out of Catlady and minimize losses from a ban.
No one competent would be buying in.

>>52927627
Why would anyone buy while the deck was under investigation? Yes the B&R date had passed, but it was made clear the investigation was still on-going, and a verdict would be reached shortly.

The above information applies to you as well.
>>
>>52927550
>There literally wouldn't have been a problem if they either banned it 2 days ago or banned it after the PT.
Yeah they should have banned it 2 days ago

After PT would have been catastrophic for sales in retail and MTGO though
>>
>>52927637
>Skullclamp and Ancient Grudge are in the same formats.
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (144KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
144KB, 223x311px
>>52927543
AKH is full of Mardu Vehicles hate you big dummy
>>
>>52927663
>The B&R announcement had passed, yes, but it was still public knowledge that the deck was under scrutiny.
>It's like buying stock in a company under Federal investigation. Why?
a thousand times this

people who bought cat combo 2-3 months ago I have somewhat sympathy with, people who bought within these 2 days are BABIES
>>
>>52926970

You need more mainboard counterspells if you're going to play the long game. Censor isn't going to do it.

Consider revolutionary rebuff, maybe fatal push, even collective brutality

Maybe sideboard a Kalitas
>>
>>52927701
Is it that hard to imagine someone would buy into the best deckâ„¢ and sell out before the next B&R announcement for best results and attempt to dodge having it banned from under them?
>>
>>52926921
I've smashed out three drafts on modo and I haven't actually seen anything get embalmed yet. I also haven't really seen boards stall out any worse than in other limited formats.

I'd say 80% of the games just end up with one person curving out and the other person eating shit though.
>>
>>52927736
no its not hard to imagine at all I can point out the exact people at my LGS who would and have done that but its still a stupid decision to make because the writing was on the wall for everyone to see
>>
>>52927685
How long have you been playing this game? Because if you think that printing targeted hate will stop a proactive deck, it can't be long. Big fucking whoop, it's a card that shuts down Scrapheap Scrounger. This relies on a number of things.
>1
Your opponent having it in their deck at all. Not everyone will play Mardu. Are you mainboarding this and risking throwing away game 1 against any other deck?
>2
Your opponent drawing Scrapheap Scrounger
>3
You drawing Magma Spray
>4
Your opponent playing it when you have a good moment to cast it
>5
Your opponent caring

Have you any idea how many "targeted hate cards" have been printed in the past? Frontline Medic was printed to hate on Sphinx's Revelation, and did it? Fuck no. Then they printed another hate card in the next set to hate on Sphinx's Revelation. Did it stop it? Fuck no. It is ALWAYS better to run the card than the hate for the card. ALWAYS.
>>
>>52927736
so we're back to >>52927663
>The only people this hit were the people already prepared to sell out of Catlady and minimize losses from a ban.

This happens every time a card is banned. Often enough, people know exactly what's going to get hit. I'm not sure I understand the need to sit on the deck until the last possible second, then complain that the risk didn't pay off.
It comes with the territory of holding onto the power cards from the "best deckâ„¢"
They're going to get hit. That's just how it goes.
>>
>>52927732

sideboard? mainboard the fucker

theres a lot of graveyard fuckery right now, and hes godlike against embalm
>>
>>52927764
The only embalm card anyone will consider running is the Oblivion Ring angel. Because it's an Oblivion Ring you can recur.
>>
>>52927749
>I'd say 80% of the games just end up with one person curving out and the other person eating shit though.
This. Green Deck Wins.
>>
>>52927770
Not him, but

>The only embalm card anyone will consider running is the Oblivion Ring angel
This is a presumptuous statement. It's still way too soon to call.
Let's judge cards on data, not expectations. It's not spoilers season anymore.
>>
>>52927790
They're just not worth the mana senpai.
>>
>>52927761
Magma Spray hits a lot of shit its definitely maindeckable, I'd argue its objectively going to be better than Shock in the new Meta because cat combo is dead
>>
>>52927770
>>52927764

I'd say he's good enough to run even if embalm isn't widely played. Lifelink and potential token creation are good in a controlling shell.

We'll see
>>
>>52927663
Because the feds are only expected to do anything four times a year.
>>
>>52927761
That's not a hate card you dummy, it's a shock with upside. You get to kill a lot of things with it, and it just so happens to counter one of the best crestures cleanly. The small downside of not being able to fling it at face/walkers is outweighed by potentially denying graveyard recursion through any of the myriad of ways available.
>>
>>52927814
B&R dates are scheduled and announced, as was the inquiry into Catlady.

The frequency is irrelevant. It merely shortens the periods between action, while the action remains unchanged.
>>
>>52927823
See, if the current suite of planeswalkers wasn't already so good, and only capable of improving, I'd value the card a whole lot more.

Otherwise it would be a good card, yeah.
>>
Any good decks that don't use energy? Not a fan of the mechanic
>>
>>52927847
just shop around on tappedout people are going wild brewing with AKH these few days

Energy is unlikely gonna see a lot of play outside dynavolt tower or the occassional mana dork I think
>>
>>52927865
a website like that is exactly what I was looking for cheers
>>
>>52927825
Right and people expect that these announcements are only going to come on those dates. It's totally reasonable to buy in after the card explicitly not banned and expect to get to play it until the next scheduled b&r announcement.
>>
>>52927912
Better two days after announcement than a full week because more people would have bought in

But yeah I agreed. I like that they made the format playable again but then again it was kind of a shitty thing to do.

Also MTGO Data is more important than people think, all the pros play it and it generates as much revenue as paper does
>>
File: 1401304175521.jpg (153KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [Google]
1401304175521.jpg
153KB, 1190x906px
>>52920702
>Wizards literally doubled the B&R update dates to have more control
>Wizards gave the okay on the regular ban update, meaning the deck was safe for at least 5 more weeks (I still think it's retarded buying an expensive deck to play for 5 weeks in this abysmal standard but that is besides the point)
>Wizards then come around literally 2 days later to say "lol we trolled you!" citing LITERALLY 2 days worth of online leagues as fucking evidence
>You are defending this amount of gross incompetence and blatant disrespect of their audience and their own credibility.
>>
>>52924647
Lorwyn Standard fucking sucked balls. Tribal pushed blocks are a deckbuilding mental dead end.
>>
>>52928011
This.

I'm not a fan of Wizards acting like a MOBA dev who can just hotfix their problems away and mute anyone on their forums who complains.
>>
>>52928011
fuck every single person on earth that 'invests' in a card game.
>>
>>52928053
fuck companies for using booster pack models

all it does is create and unregulated market to be exploited by those with the knowledge to do so

oh and it keeps Timmy coming by to spend his allowance
>>
>>52928053
What did he mean by this? Is buying an expensive deck you want to play an investment to you?

In that case I don't know what you are doing in this thread or with magic in general.
>>
File: 1489910224528.jpg (36KB, 428x359px) Image search: [Google]
1489910224528.jpg
36KB, 428x359px
>mfw a woman came up with Felidar Guardian and the only reason they didn't ban it immediately was because they gave her a chance to fix it with a card in Amonkhet
>mfw she blew that one too
>>
>>52928075
He's part of the "everything should be free" crowd.
Ignore him.

Even Hearthstone is designed so these people remain at the lowest level of play.
>>
>>52927552
No, I don't play using third world software.
>>
>>52927663
>It's like buying stock in a company under Federal investigation. Why?
Because if the investigation turns out nothing you've bought a ton of high-value stocks on the cheap.
>>
>>52924581
Alara/Zendikar was pretty fun, not sure about golden age though.
>>
>>52928073
booster packs are part of the appeal. gambling is fun. 4-5 bucks is what 13-14 cards are worth to me. for the ones i dont expect to see because im not a whale, cardstock is cheap and there's zero reason why an after market would be a problem unless you're a tourney player. buy the cards you think are a reasonable price, print the rest. for money matches, play limited. it's what timmy does (sans printing), and he gets more honest satisfaction from the game than you do.

spending hundreds of dollars over several years on a collection as a whole is one thing, spending hundreds of dollars not just on a single deck but even just a set of a single card is pathetic.

>>52928075
define "want to play"
want to play, as in because you think it'll give you an advantage? well it just blew up in your face, haha, fuck you. if you want to play it with your friends because you personally like it, then the problem doesnt affect you in the first place.
>>
>>52928524
If the one and only goal is to save money, just buy from chinaman.

Really though, Magic isn't a good hobby if you're not willing to spend cash. The cheapest hobby on /tg/ is TTRPGs, and those still have $40 books if you're not just torrenting everything, which is the digital equivalent to chinaman anyway.
>>
>>52928524
>because you think it'll give you an advantage?

Hold up. You're not seriously implying that using better cards confers no advantage, right?
>>
>>52928578
I think he's seriously implying that playing competitively is for elitist degenerates who he hates.

I'm gonna jump to the conclusion that that's because he's bad at games but you can fill in whatever motivation you want.
>>
Where do I start if I'm trying to get back into standard after a hiatus?
I'm on a budget
>>
>>52928691
Go check on what the new cards are, then draft for a bit. You should know the various methods to get your money back on the cards you don't want.

Get back into the speed of things.

You're fortunate that Amonkhet just dropped, so everyone is figuring out how that changed the format. After a week or two of drafting things should settle out a bit and you can start looking at decks to build.
>>
>>52928691
Play on Cockatrice
>>
>>52928560
or instead of replying to a post without reading it, you could read the part where i spend what i think is reasonable and laugh at the misfortunes of people paying what i think is unreasonable.

>>52928578
~woosh~
>>
>>52924950
I'm running a Temur Drake deck. It tends to win around T7. The most explosive starts let us throw down a 6/5 Serpent on Turn 3.

Land (20):
4x Spirebluff Canal
4x Botanical Sanctum
2x Forest
2x Island
1x Mountain
4x Aether Hub
2x Wandering Fumarole
1x Lumbering Falls

Creatures (10):
2x Bedlam Reveler
4x Enigma Drake
4x Cryptic Serpent

Sorceries (4):
4x Attune to Aether

Instants (26):
4x Shock
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Anticipate
4x Censor
4x Hieroglyphic Illumination
4x Wind's of Rebuke
2x Dissenter's Deliverance

Sideboard:

Counterspell package:
2x Dispel
2x Horrible Awry
2x Negate

Fuck mardu:
2x Dissenter's Deliverance
1x Release The Gremlins

Fuck zombies:
4x Magma Spray

Fuck going wide:
2x Sweltering Suns
>>
How about Meme-cycle?
// memecle

// 60 Maindeck
// 6 Creature
2 Archfiend of Ifnir
2 Ruthless Sniper
2 Curator of Mysteries

// 12 Enchantment
4 Cast Out
4 New Perspectives
4 Drake Haven

// 13 Instant
4 Censor
4 Renewed Faith
2 Disallow
2 Forsake the Worldly
1 Haze of Pollen

// 26 Land
4 Sheltered Thicket
4 Canyon Slough
4 Fetid Pools
4 Scattered Groves
4 Irrigated Farmland
3 Island
3 Swamp

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets

// 1 Sorcery
1 Transgress the Mind

// 15 Sideboard
// 2 Creature
SB: 2 Ruthless Sniper

// 2 Enchantment
SB: 2 Faith of the Devoted

// 5 Instant
SB: 1 Forsake the Worldly
SB: 2 Haze of Pollen
SB: 2 Negate

// 6 Sorcery
SB: 3 Sweltering Suns
SB: 2 Collective Brutality
SB: 1 Transgress the Mind
>>
File: Censor+%5BAKH%5D.jpg (23KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Censor+%5BAKH%5D.jpg
23KB, 223x311px
How good is this card? Why should I play it over other cards that don't require my opponent to pay mana to negate them? Is cycling really that good?
>>
>>52928771
It is really good.
>>
>>52928771
>Why should I play it over other cards that don't require my opponent to pay mana to negate them?
Which counterspells would that be?

>Is cycling really that good?
Cycling is that good. The danger of holding up mana for counterspells is normally that if your opponent doesn't cast anything you've effectively invested a whole turn into doing nothing, and the danger of Force Spikes is that they eventually become redundant. Cycling allows you to circumvent both of those problems.
>>
>>52928805
I assume he means the more specific ones that don't have the pay X effect but are limited in scope. Negate, Dispel, Horrible Awry and Essence Scatter.
>>
>>52928805
Dissalow
Negate
Essence Scatter

Can I cycle in my opponents turn? Or is it ony sorcery speed?
>>
>>52928841
Cycling is instant.
>>
>>52926584
>>52926970

>not playing any geier reach sanitarium as a land in the cycle deck
>>
>>52928796
i rather have miscalculation than censor
>>
>>52928841
instant speed and uncounterable
>>
File: 636165700927090801.jpg (97KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
636165700927090801.jpg
97KB, 768x432px
>>52928947
That's wrong though. It's not a spell so counter-target spell won't work. But It's still an activated ability so Disallow can counter it if you so wished.
>>
>>52924581
Scars-Innistrad-Return to Ravnica was the best standard of all time.
>>
>>52928711
>Cockatrice
>When Xmage exists
>>
>>52924581
I really really liked Theros/Tarkir.

The start of the format was very diverse and even when Rhino became dominant, other decks were still viable and could fight against it and the format was dynamic and ever-changing until the end.
>>
>>52928978
But remember, just because you counter the cycling ability doesn't mean that the card is not discarded. Thus, all those cycling/discard matters cards (like Ruthless Sniper/Drake Haven) will still activate on a disallowed cycling card.
>>
>We also understand we shouldn't let combos like Saheeli-Felidar get out the door in the first place.

Except you know we left it in for the entire life of the set to get that sweet cash.

also

>>52920650
>Buying something that the devs said was a mistake forever ago

Some dude at locals tried to sell me his build for like $150 a week ago and I laughed and told him I'm not buying a dead deck (one other poor guy did though)

>>52927173
>Would only mean that Wizards is monumentally retarded
>They printed a literal infinite combo in one pack.
>>
>>52929099
Those trigger on activating the ability and not resolving right, because the discard is a cost?
>>
>>52929115
Not one pack, but one block. IT still should've been caught with basic testing, though. People noticed it 5 minutes after the spoilers for AER came out.
>>
>>52929135
Right. You technically decide what to do with the triggers before you get to see what you draw.
>>
>>52928903
I have it irl. Forgot to upload it. How many should I run?
>>
>>52925807
Metallurgic Summonings is and always will be too slow. Dimir / Esper's walkers are Dovin(ew), Tezzeret(I have a playset, he's okay.), and Liliana(both of them are too expensive imo, in different ways.)

I like the idea of more removal, though Alliance seems weak vs. any deck that wants to fill the board with stuff.
>>
File: Cryptbreaker.jpg (89KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Cryptbreaker.jpg
89KB, 223x311px
>>52929148
you right, I always forget saheeli was in kaladesh not aether, still gottah sell them packs though.

Also why are zombies going up? I know they got some more support but relentless dead and pic related have both doubled in price in the past month. I have B/U zombies and have been testing the new B/W zombies and mono black, deck really isn't super strong unless you open perfect curve.
>>
>>52929347
Hype for zombie support in the next block.
>>
File: Pooh.gif (2MB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
Pooh.gif
2MB, 320x287px
>Last game of Amonkhet draft
>2-0 so far
>Opponent is running same colors
>Drops monument,legendary Vizier & Gideon
>>
>>52929347
Cryptbreaker is more for R/B madness I think. Hazoret and the new 'heckbent' cards have encouraged people to pick it back up.
>>
>>52924581
the three periods when Standard was generally consistently good were

1) Invasion - Odyssey - Onslaught
2) Ravnica-TSP-Lorwynmoor (and to a lesser extent Kamigawa and Alara)
3) Innistrad-RTR-Theros-KTK

There was probably also a good Standard around Mirage-Tempest but I can't say for sure I wasn't playing then. Basically, though, good Standard environments are environments that don't include Urza's, Masques, Mirrodin, Zendikar, Return to Mirrodin, Magic Origins, or Battle for Zendikar. Of course, it's also good to keep in mind that those older Standards might not have been good if those sets were actually released today in an environment of intense Internet analysis. WotC's job has actually gotten harder in some ways, as much as they've also handicapped themselves and fucked themselves over.
>>
>>52929317
It's surprisingly not too slow. You get the added bonus of not needing as much removal and having a difficult to interact with win con. As well as the usual dimir wincons. Blessed alliance has a lot of utility and you pack enough removal to keep a board near empty anyway.
>>
File: 636268457144275423[1].jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
636268457144275423[1].jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Alright laddies:

How do we break him?
>>
File: 129.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
129.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>52929736
>>
File: bontutheglorified1[1].jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
bontutheglorified1[1].jpg
42KB, 265x370px
>>52929736
Whoops, google gave me some kid's original fan-bontu.
>>
File: True Gideon's World.png (773KB, 528x590px) Image search: [Google]
True Gideon's World.png
773KB, 528x590px
>>
>>52928691
I'm on the same situation.

I ended up buying G/R energy. Waiting for the cards to arrive. Sounds like a fun deck.

MTGGoldfish youtube channel and StrictlyBetterMTG, also on youtube, are your friends. They make cool budget lists. Or take a look at what people are brewing on Tappedout.net
>>
>>52929782
Is this a Jojo reference?
>>
>>52929886
4u
>>
>>52929736
Probably throwing him into a B/W deck like this one.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aer-standard-bw-servos/
>>
File: 1492291563750.gif (979KB, 450x463px) Image search: [Google]
1492291563750.gif
979KB, 450x463px
>>52929772
>>52929757 this
>Anointer Priest
>Anointed Procession
>Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
>The black human that makes a zombie token when it dies
>Bone Picker
>Dread Wanderer
>Sram's Expertise

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.
>>
>>52929886
Yes, I'm not proud of it.
>>
File: Image (1).png (128KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
128KB, 223x311px
>>52930095
You're forgetting that Blood Artist is standard legal.
>>
>>52919920
REMOVE
CAT
>>
>>52920247
DON'T SUMMON THAT MENACE
>>
So question, does wizards ever actually release numbers for attendance, set sales, or other shit like that?

Anything that could confirm that this game is fucking dying and it's because of their ineptitude and the greed of the secondary market?
>>
>>52919920

>Ban cat
>"Oh shit, we can't ban one of our poster walkers that'd hurt set sales!"
>Ban cat
>Why is standard still dead?
>Why do players think we have no clue what the fuck we're doing anymore?
>Ban cat because reddit tears

Wizards of the coast gents
>>
>>52930634
They don't, and even if they did they'd lie about it

"Magic players are 50% female" - WotC
>>
>>52920650

Be smart and never invest in cardboard or standard again.
>>
>>52930634
Yeah. To Shareholders. Magic increased revenue for the 8th year straight.

http://investor.hasbro.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=1010468
>>
>>52930709
>>52930634

I haven't see the numbers for Kaladesh but I know that SoI was the most attended prerelease weekend ever up to that point.
>>
>>52930744
>standard attendance is dropping badly
>prerelease attendance and revenue is increasing
How is this even possible?
>>
>>52930932

Exactly, you're not even really seeing goyim buying backs and shit.
>>
>>52919920
Why the cat and not the crazy lady?
>>
>>52931014
Saheeli is the face of the set. They can't ban her.

Can you imagine how little Johnny would feel to open up Saheeli only for the store manager to tell him he can't use it?
>>
>>52931014
They're never in a million years going to ban a mythic when they could ban a non-mythic and have the same effect, and this is basically fine, and if you don't like that sort of thing you literally should not be playing Magic The Gathering because that sort of thing is an inextricable part of how the game is
>>
>>52931035
Before AER and after this ban, Johnny is disgusted at pulling a shit mythic.
>>
>>52931014
Can you imagine the PR consequence of banning the indian lady?
>>
>>52931055
So nothing really changed. Seems fine.
>>
>>52930932

People want to play without needing a deck full of chase mythics to compete
>>
>>52930095

Westvale Abbey
>>
>>52930634
Just bits and pieces of info, no solid numbers.

>>52930709
Wrong, Magic has taken a hit lately.
>Executives said the decline in operating profit was due to higher expenses, a shift in product mix, and falling revenue from the Magic: The Gathering products.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39697277
>>
>>52920650
Most stores are offering refunds on Saheeli
>>
>>52929736
>>52929757
>>52930095
>>52930291
Don't forget Yaheeni is a great sac engine, and smothering abomination can draw you cards like mad.
>>
>>52904527
Rejoice. Standard whales have been milked yet again. Be sure to hop on the next great deck. There's no way it won't get banned to force you to pay for a new deck.
>>
File: Jace.jpg (269KB, 744x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Jace.jpg
269KB, 744x1045px
>>52928253
It was a golden age. For me.
>>
With the metagame being able to focus down Mardu Vehicles, it seems like Standard could actually have room for interesting builds.

What does is Mardu Vehicles gameplan? Just curve out with Vehicles and beat down? Or are they more midrangey? I've been out of the loop with Standard for a good year, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>52930709
>>52931196
>franchise Brand MAGIC: THE GATHERING revenues increased for the eighth straight year
>falling revenue from the Magic: The Gathering products.
>April 24th and february 6th
These two directly contradict each other or am I missing something?. What the fuck is going on and who do I believe?
>>
>>52931336
It's pretty aggro. Ideal start is Toolcraft Exemplar t1, Heart of Kiran t2, and Gideon t4. Keep doing Gid's +1 and pay it to swing with Heart. There's a bit more nuance to it but you basically just whack them with a few sticks until they lose.
>>
>>52930932
Wotc has said for a long time that an incredible majority(>50%) of their customer base are kitchen table casuals that have never even been to an FNM, and have desolator tier opinions of the game and competitive play.
>>
>>52931410
I would trust Hasbro being honest about Wizards over Wizards being honest about Wizards, especially after recent events.
>>
Is this playable? Any changes I should make if so?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esper-control-maybe-1/
>>
>>52931524
I see.
So I'm thinking the key to making a semi-competitive deck in this Standard will be more about interaction than value, right? Gotta just not get run over.
>>
>>52931851
Well there's pretty good answers to the deck now and with copycat banned, you don't have to worry about making sure to have answers for that too. The two deck format should be over now.
>>
>>52931804
The SOI reveal lands and BFZ duals are worse the fewer basics you have.
>>
>>52931075
atleast the cat can poo in loo
>>
File: tmp_739-1402199067309-64429582.png (2MB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_739-1402199067309-64429582.png
2MB, 744x1039px
>>52931334
>counts as a player
I know its trying to imitate the crappy old rules text but that's just plain wrong.
>>
>>52931527
This was me not long ago. I think it's a line of thought a lot of new players go through these days.
>>
>>52931804
I don't like archfiend in there and I personally don't think cycling is all that good in hard control. Imo you can run 4 anticipate and 4 glimmers and not need 26 lands. 24 has been good for me and my deck uses metallurgical summonings as a wincon.

If you take out the cycle you can run aether hub alongside glimmer and splash a third colour without affecting much of your mana base too.

Gearhulk is better than archfiend
>>
>>52929214
2 to 3 because thet are legendary
>>
File: 636263876355116805[1].png (193KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
636263876355116805[1].png
193KB, 265x370px
Glorybringer is so fucking cool, but if he ever becomes meta, surely he'll just get rekt by Avacyn every time he attacks.

Which points me to Always Watching. Not only is it a natural combo with Glorybringer, it buffs him up above BTFO By Avacyn range.

But what would the rest of the deck look like? Some kind of removal-heavy RW midrange with Glorybringer as the finisher, maybe?
>>
File: 1489010706663.jpg (141KB, 750x556px) Image search: [Google]
1489010706663.jpg
141KB, 750x556px
>>52936013
>always watching + exert
You may be onto something here anon, I didn't even think of that. With the sheer lack of decent enchantment hate, it just might work.
>>
>>52936013

I'm thinking GR splash W midrange.

Glorybringer will 100% play a role in standard, just not sure where yet.
>>
>>52919920
>taking numbers from MTG:O

wew
>>
>mfw these shity planeswalker decks are acumuating on my LGS.
>Mfw i just want to buy one just because the clerk is a nice guy and gave me a baneslayer angel lng time ago.

Why wizard is releasing so crappy decks? The event decks were at least better product (sometimes) like the theros monoblack deck and the first khans deck.
>>
>>52936328
Because casuals will buy it simply because it has a walker on the cover. You should have seen the people on ribbit trying to justify the shitty decks.
>My daughter finally has a chandra, and that's good enough for me.

IIRC Hasbro shut down the event decks because they had too much value in them or something. Which is a real shame.
>>
>>52936328
I've come to believe that they're literally insane at this point.
>>
>>52936013
That 3/1 that becomes a 4/4 lifelink for 1W together with Always watching for 5/5 lifelink attacker each turn
>>
>>52936886
That kind of deck would probably be more aggressive than I was imagining.

Maybe just an aggressive WR with a ~2-of of Glorybringer as a curve topper? But 5 is pretty damn high in that case.
>>
>>52936886
>>52937005

I'm putting that in G/W humans. It runs Always Watching incidentally anyway.
>>
>>52929115
>We also understand we shouldn't let combos like Saheeli-Felidar get out the door in t he first place.
This is retarded logic. Combo decks are healthy for a format and deserve a place in solid tier 1.5 - 2 lists. The issue with cat was that the decks that would have had a reasonable matchup against it got absolutely decimated by vehicles. Keeping Cat but banning Gideon or Heart of Kiran would have allowed for actual control/tempo decks to exist and generated a much healthier standard environment.
>>
>>52938613
>Banning Gideon
>Banning a card with Chandra's dad's name
Yeah that'll happen.
>>
>>52938613
>The issue with cat was that the decks that would have had a reasonable matchup against it got absolutely decimated by vehicles.
Except the whole issue with Amonkhet was that even when Mardu vehicles got weaker due to all the answers to its threats that the set has, Cat got even stronger (in part because they could use those answers themselves).
>>
>>52929736
>him
Bontu's a cute grill crocogod and don't you forget it
>>
>>52938613
Combos are fine. Standard just has no good ways to stop / interact with cat combo (and AKH gives the deck more fuel than it gives decks against it more game).

Combos are fine with proper counterplay and interaction.
>>
Thinking of doing RB Hazoret Burn with Alms of the Vein and Fiery Temper for madness cost.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52939810
RB Neheb Burn is more funny sounding.
>>
>>52936407
>IIRC Hasbro shut down the event decks because they had too much value in them or something. Which is a real shame.

It was entirely their choice to put shit like Hangarback Walker and Collected Company in fucking supplemental product sold at every walmart. It pisses me off how often they sabotage their own product just so they can justify shutting it down.
>>
>>52928011
Fuck every single person who played cat combo. Im happy they lost their deck.
>>
>>52938613
Sorry but believe it or not there are different types of combo decks in card games, cat combo was what ANY card developer will tell you is the bad kind.

control decks can't exist in standard when you have only 2 of them per set, control would have stomped cat anyway but guess what we have shit tier control cards,

>>52930932
I've got atleast SIX friends who buy a box of every next set then just play in their living room on friday nights. They also have never bought singles and prefer to buy packs from the set that single card is in.

One came to prerelease, opened his packs then left without attempting to play, trade or look at anyone elses things.
>>
>>52940744
>I've got atleast SIX friends who buy a box of every next set then just play in their living room on friday nights. They also have never bought singles and prefer to buy packs from the set that single card is in.

>One came to prerelease, opened his packs then left without attempting to play, trade or look at anyone elses things.

Your friends and mine have very different ways to enjoy the game.
>>
>>52930932
I mean I sure as fuck wouldn't want to bother playing t4 get combod out: the format but you won't find that shit at a limited event
>>
>>52941518
Imagine the lucky person able to draft the combo... Wizards really fucked up
>>
>>52929736
I've seen talk of throwing him in a zombie deck with a sacrifice sub-theme.
>>
>>52930095
Fatal Push
>>
>>52942767
Someone make another thread, we're about to lose this one.
>>
>>52929736
>him
>>
>Core-sets probably coming back

Is there a civil war going on inside WotC or what?
>>
>>52942849
We're in crazy land now, anon! Wizards will do any thing at any time! It's glorious!
>>
>>52942849

They're realizing how much of a fuckup the past 3 years have been. Standard attendance must be so low it's ringing all their alarms
>>
>>52942849
Where is the token person that says we still need the reserved list because mumble mumble business integrity mumble muh promise?
>>
>>52930095
Alter's Reap?
Bone Splinters?
Carrier thrall
>>
File: 1028312.jpg (79KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1028312.jpg
79KB, 750x709px
>>52942849
>we are making rotation faster
>jk we will change it back
>alright we know everyone wants the gatewatch on literally everything
>jk we will turn it back a bit
>we know you all dont want coresets
>jk we bringing them back
>also we will have to ban things in standard twice as often
>even then we will still have to do emergency bans

I think it's funny how well the system WotC had in effect was working and the second they switched the gear into maximum jew the whole system started collapsing in on itself

Beautiful
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.