[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 55

File: Astrosphinx.gif (97KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
Astrosphinx.gif
97KB, 300x360px
5th Edition D&D General

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Make sure to fill out the official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52785017

Let's assume we get a Manual of the Planes-style handbook for 5e. What do you want the most out of it? Anything goes, monsters, classes, items, etc. Pic related.
>>
Official sources only
>>
>>52790743
Every goddamned thing released (UA, Plane Shift, featured DM's Guild).
>>
>>52790768
Forgot the damn file.
>>
File: cutebold.png (4KB, 155x158px) Image search: [Google]
cutebold.png
4KB, 155x158px
4th for rolling for stats is rad
>>
>>52790571
New extraplanar races that are *not* just "dwarf from the Plane of Earth, Elf from Arvandor, Gnome/Halfling from Bytopia" - things like Gith, Rogue Modrons, Bariaur. Some new Tiefling, Aasimar and Genasi subraces would be neat, though.

New subclasses with a planar theme, if possible. Incantifiers as a new Wizard subclass, maybe.

New monsters that are *not* yet more fucking demons/devils/dragons. We got plenty of the fuckers already, we need more faeries, Shadowfell natives, celestial beings... stuff to make the other planes worth going to.

New spells & magic items relating to the planes.
>>
>>52790571
Demodands and archons please.
>>
>>52790571
I'd like more stuff related to the Far Realms. Some more official subclasses related to the planes would be cool too.
>>
Reminder that point buy and arrays are for minmaxing tryhards
>>
>>52790889
>>52790916
One of the things that really, really gave me hope for the future was the fact that Volo's Guide had exactly one type of dragon (Guard Drakes) and a very limited selection of fiends. Hopefully every book going forward will be that level of quality or higher.

But yes, different races, maybe new classes as well? I know nothing about Incantifiers except that they eat magic. Maybe the Mystic as a full release, once it's fixed.
>>
>>52790995
Arrays are very much the opposite of min-maxing, they force you to have a similar spread of stats.
>>
I need devils.
>>
File: Asmodeus.jpg (79KB, 564x686px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodeus.jpg
79KB, 564x686px
>>52791133
Best devil reporting in
>>
>Let's assume we get a Manual of the Planes-style handbook for 5e. What do you want the most out of it? Anything goes, monsters, classes, items, etc. Pic related.

Space. Some eerie, mind-bending cross between fantasy and scifi.

Shit that's really fucking out there and inspired in general. Get someone on drugs and have them read the old planar stuff, Heavy Metal, SCP, whatever.
>>
>>52791166
Which lore are they using for Asmodeus' background at the moment? I was always partial to the fallen archangel stuff (presumably a Solar).
>>
Is there such a thing as a known powergamibg build for an entire party? Like, a combination of classes/spells that are potentially game breaking?

My group is going to meet with an older, more experienced adventuring party that defended the land last time there was a great, evil thing and I was trying to come up with some combination of spells or buffs/debuffs that show that these guys function best as a team.
>>
>>52790855
>TFW you like rolling for stats so much you came up with variants
>At level 1, everybody rolls 1d4. If they get 1, they get a permanent -1 to everything. If they roll 2, nothing. If they roll 3, they get a permanent +1 to everything. If they roll 4, they get a permanent +2 to everything. This is a simplified version of rolling for stats.
>At level 1, roll 1d4-1. You get this many free ASIs. This is a fairer way of doing rolling for stats because you can't end up with less stats than you're intended to have.
>Every time you gain a feature, roll 1d2. If you get a 2, you don't get the feature. If you get a 1, you get the feature. This represents the uncertainty that you'll definitely learn everything in life, so you can't play on definitely getting features, much like rolling for stats potentially denying you key buffs to damage/defence and all that, but a bit more serious.
>At the start of the game, everybody rolls 1d100. The person with the lowest value will be the DM's first target to kill off, then the person with the next lowest value will be targeted, and so forth. This means players roughly know how long their character might live.
>>
File: Shadowfell.jpg (810KB, 1210x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowfell.jpg
810KB, 1210x1000px
>>52790571
I would love to see the Shadowfell detailed and given how the "upside down" was presented in Stranger Things I feel that something like that could open the door for some new people to enter the hobby in addition to the small write-up in the 5e DMG leaving me wanting more...

I also want a comprehensive detailing of the Underdark, Mechanus, and the Feywild.
>>
File: ea2c2d_5722317.jpg (115KB, 1339x693px) Image search: [Google]
ea2c2d_5722317.jpg
115KB, 1339x693px
This is still probably the most impressive dice roll on /tg/.
>>
>>52791246
Ancients Paladin, Avatar Mystic, Lore Bard and Divination Wizard? Each is individually very powerful, but the auras provided by the first two supplement the roll modification of the latter two to make a very versatile and powerful group.
>>
>>52791231
You can use whatever lore you want, they haven't covered his origins as of yet.
>>
Playing a Ranger for the first time. What should I pick for my greater favored enemy? My choices are: aberrations, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fiends, or giants.
>>
File: 1490497086087.jpg (238KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1490497086087.jpg
238KB, 1024x768px
>>52791339
Depends on the setting and your background.
>>
>>52791339
Fiends are probably the safest bets, but honestly this depends way too much on the DM. Go for whatever fits your character best and avoid obviously niche ones (Celestials, Constructs, Elementals)
>>
>>52791246
Make everybody fighter sorlocks with repelling blast and agonizing blast.

Blow away literally anything that comes near.
Alternatively you can all get devil's sight so one person casts darkness and everybody gains the benefit.

Alternatively everybody becomes a paladin and nukes the fuck out of the first thing they see, then they all rest.

In the end, though, I think it'd good to have a bit of balance in the party. I'd do something like:
>Wolf Barbarian5/Rogue
>Oathbreaker Paladin
>Moon Druid
>KnowledgeCleric1/Wizard
>>
>>52791377
>Wolf Barbarian5/Rogue

How is that meant to work?
>>
File: Cherub.jpg (896KB, 1033x1264px) Image search: [Google]
Cherub.jpg
896KB, 1033x1264px
>>52790571
Well, what I'd ideally love...

Planar races - Gith (Yanki, Zerai, Athasian, Wildspace), Rogue Modron, Tiefling (with variants for Abyssal and other bloodlines)

Monsters - Gehreleth/Demodands, Obyrith, Guardinials, Primal Spirits, Abyssal Dreadnought, Atropal, Farspawn.

An in depth guide to the planes: The Primes, the Elementals, the Para Elementals, the Quasi-Elementals, the Positive, the Negative, the Shadowfell, the Feywild, the Ethereal, the Astral, the Far Plane, the Dream, the Mirror, the Temporal, the Good, the Neutral, the Evil, the Lawful, the Chaotic, even the soding Underdark.

Then you could have a chapter discussing cosmologies. The Great Wheel, the World Tree, the World Axis, the cosmologies of Athas (The Grey, the Black, etc) and of Eberron (all those dragons), ones based on mythology. And guides to creating your own, incorporating some planes, excluding others, and merging some together to make a universe that's your own.

And maybe redoing the Modrons to give them some sense of being almost mechanical angels out to bring order to the cosmos. All too often they're just a joke.
>>
Also if there's a fifth character, add in
>Lore Bard with moderately armoured

>>52791447
In just about every way.
>Reckless attack synergizes with sneak attack
>Rage synergizes with uncanny dodge
>Danger sense synergizes with evasion
>Rage synergizes with athletics expertise
>Fast movement synergizes with cunning action
>Extra attack synergizes with sneak attack and athletics expertise
>Str+Con save proficiencies, +12 HP, -1 skill, -dex save proficiency when you already have dangersense+evasion, -int saves because who needs that, +shield and medium armour proficiencies and martial weapon proficiencies
>Unarmoured defence synergizes with not needing a load of feats like a typical PAM/GWM barbarian would get and the possibility of going dexterity
>Leaves you free a rogue archetype choice and a barbarian archetype choice. Bear for more tankiness, wolf for giving everyone else on the team advantage, so you go for wolf presumably since you'll have other teammates in melee.
>>
File: 1480695785149.jpg (51KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
1480695785149.jpg
51KB, 500x490px
>All the min/maxbabs being called out last thread
>Autisticly defend the standard array and how it doesn't promote min/maxing

Sad desu senpai
>>
>>52791542
Rolling for stats promotes minmaxing because you can intentionally try to kill off characters with poor stats, you can choose to use good stats on builds that are overpowered with better stats and you can choose to use bad stats on builds that aren't affected much by poor stats.
And if you insist on rolling stats after class, they can just pick something like 1 level of fighter before multiclassing into whatever they decide is a good idea, and you'd give even less reason to play something like monk knowing you could be screwed over.

Standard array doesn't really do anything bad balance/min-max wise, so I don't know how you could call it good for min-maxing.
>>
File: Protean Titan.jpg (160KB, 1395x900px) Image search: [Google]
Protean Titan.jpg
160KB, 1395x900px
>>52791488
Atropals you say?
>>
>>52791542
I've played Star Wars Saga Edition with rolled stats. Jedi in that system are very powerful, but are slightly restrained by the fact they're MAD. With rolled stats, both jedi in the party proceeded to become unbeatable gods who stole all the spotlight.

Never. Again.
>>
So I'm making an Awakened Mystic, I had in mind a rather physically feeble character with heavy emphasis on psionic/mental powers, but don't know how bad would it be to have subpar CON and DEX or low survivability in general.

Which of this sound better?

>8, 14, 11, 16, 14, 12
OR
>8, 13, 13, 16, 14, 12
OR
>8, 14, 13, 16, 14, 10

Going full
>8, 14, 14, 16, 12, 10
kinds of feels wrong, even if it gives more survivability.

This considering Mystics can change their saving throw proficiency, gain advantage on some skill checks and either boost their AC or self heal, but those can all be discipline taxes I'm not sure I can afford.

>Mastery of force's Inertial Armor (14+Dex AC)
>Bestial Form's Tough Hide (+2AC)
>Iron Durability's Psychic Focus (+1AC)

Also would any feat really benefit this concept or am I just fine maxing INT and then pumping DEX/CON and/or taking Resilient (CON)?
>>
>>52791111
they said the were planning on releasing a book on the undead and dragons as well, we can all but hope.
>>
>>52791727
I'd go with the first spread to use Inertial Armor.
>>
>>52791526
Thank you for the info, very welcomed

What feat, subclass for rogue and race would you recommend, I'm assuming a rapier for the weapon?

Dm has us playing set roles and I got barb but the class bores me to tears pasted level five
>>
>>52791597
>Letting characters be rerolled instead of keeping same stats if that is suspected

>>52791700
>This other game had something happen therefore it's the same every game
>>
How do I help bring a party together as the DM? Would threatening one of their lives and hoping the others come to their rescue work?

I've got a filthy, unpleasant, but well-intentioned goblin, two snotty twin eladrin, and a half-elf who seems like he just doesn't want to get caught in between the other three.
>>
>>52791808
If you're using rapier, I'd probably go dexterity + shield and focus on getting both dexterity and con really high if you can. If you don't think you can manage that, rapier+shield still works for strength, though it'll be hard to be able to both grapple and attack unless you don't wear a shield with your rapier.

For races,
Half-orc, halfling (Either, probably stout), V.human, dwarf (Either), Elf (probably wood) and half-elf all work, I suppose. Though stout halfling is probably a great one if you want to go dexterity.
No idea on rogue archetype. Swashbuckler isn't bad at all, really, though you don't need the free disengage too badly most of the time considering you might be wolf barbarian. Assassin has its uses and.. Thief really requires you to work with the DM to get it to work. AT still supplies some useful boons, but you don't really need its BB/GFB so much. Absolutely any of the core rogues or swashbuckler could potentially work with it.

Definitely take wolf if there's a lot of melee people, otherwise bear is great for ridiculous survivability.
>>
>>52791827
Campaign tone? Experience of the players? Levels? How many sessions have they played in? The devil is in the details, anon.
>>
File: New books.png (266KB, 713x208px) Image search: [Google]
New books.png
266KB, 713x208px
More books are coming, friends. The slow release schedule is our friend.
>>
>>52791815
They wouldn't make it obvious if that was what they're doing, and all you're doing is upsetting people by insisting they do something they don't want to do.

Also anon's Jedi case can apply to Paladins to a lesser extent. Paladins are pretty good, but it's offset by the fact they have a use for 5/6 stats as well as wanting a feat or too.
>>
>>52791815
You have yet to explain how an overall balanced array of stats is min-maxing, shitposter-kun.
>>
>>52791638
Yeah.

Oh, and some sort of Cacerian variant on the Empyreans, Arcanes, Deepspawn, Feyr, Grues, Hordlings, Inevitables, Phoenix, Rilmani, Shedu more Yugoloths (specifically Marraenoloths).

Those would all be nice to see.
>>
File: 1490986360785.jpg (15KB, 560x448px) Image search: [Google]
1490986360785.jpg
15KB, 560x448px
>>52791955
Atleast one of you got it
>>
i need pics for my arcana cleric
also are there any other gods to worship or am i stuck with Azuth and Mystra?
>>
>>52792048
Any particular setting?
>>
>>52791914
From the description a borderline pfg tier campaign
>>
>>52791914
>Campaign tone? Experience of the players? Levels? How many sessions have they played in?
Playing TotYP as an adventure path. The eladrin players seem to be experienced with 5e, the goblin player seems to be experienced with D&D (probably 3.5?), last guy I think it's his first game. They were looking for a DM online and I volunteered, but I assume they hadn't played together for more than a single session. They just reached level 2 and our third session is tomorrow.

I know it's very early on, but I'd rather prevent the campaign breaking apart down the line than have to piece it together afterwards.
>>
>>52792048
plain ol dnd
high fantasy anything non 3rd party
>>
I'm about to run a game and a player wants to play as a gunslinger. He's asked if I would be ok with allowing Crossbow Expert to apply to his guns. I'm not sure about that at all.

Is there a decent way to nerf it? I'm reluctant to outright ban it since it's only for a one-shot, and I don't want to come across as being deliberately narrow
>>
>>52792175
If it's a one shot, just roll with it
>>
>>52791907
If not a rapier then what? I'm not too interested in strength
>>
>>52792175
As long as he doesn't get a bonus action attack with it, it should be fine.
>>
>>52792302
The choices are really dual shortswords or rapier+shield.

Dual shortswords works better with strength because you get +rage damage to every hit and reckless attack is better, and high strength means your grapple checks are better and you can drop a shortsword easily to grapple.

Rapier is good for going with shield and stacking up tankiness, which is typically more dexterity-based.
>>
I dislike begging but does anyone have the PDF of TPK's Fifth Edition Options. Will try and share some content myself if needed
>>
>>52791115
If I can expect a fair deal of lethality and rolling new characters then I have no problem with rolling for stats.

Anything requiring commitment to a character should have point buy or array.
>>
File: 1491020666725.png (316KB, 948x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1491020666725.png
316KB, 948x1028px
Should Dragonborn get Powerful Build?
Should they get a sorcerer cantrip of their choice, assuming all dragons in the setting are of the spellcaster variant?
>>
>>52792540
This, really.
>>
>>52792540
>Anything requiring commitment to a character should have point buy or array.

Why tho?
>>
>>52792331
>>52792268
>>52792175
Hold on, I hadn't checked the feat since I spoke with him. He was suggesting that if he had the feat, he'd be able to reload his gun without using a full action. Actually looking at the feat I have no idea where that comes from.

Any ideas?
>>
File: Map(1).jpg (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map(1).jpg
2MB, 1024x768px
>>52792535
As a sign of good faith heres a map i made in Inkarnate, feel free to steal
>>
>>52792599
mostly for fairness, I could've rolled stupidly well or poorly.
>>
Why the fuck are you autists still arguing about stats generation? Do whatever the fuck you feel like and what the GM allows.
>>
>>52792660
Get the fuck off me
>>
>>52791542
Everything promotes min/maxing.
You roll, and keep rerolling until you nail the min/max of your desire, or you point-buy the min/max best suited to your character, because in the end, roleplaying is not about role playing, but is about winning, and Players cannot for the life of them, accept defeat in any scenario whatsoever; unless they are destined to fail, like the Cthulhu games, and even them they might complain.
In other words, point-buy is faster when everybody already knows the math, otherwise, keep rolling, pretending you won't reroll.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
is there homebrew class worse than dragon rider?
absolutely not. it's the worst shit on earth.
>>
>>52792687
Don't go full retard, you fucking turbotard.

Goddamn, stop screeching you fucks.
>>
>>52792660
See >>52791955 >>52792038
People need to learn not to reply to bait in these threads
>>
>>52792710
5eg shouldn't be this autistic.
>>
>>52792660
Because you don't roll for class features, so why should you roll for free ASIs at the start?
>>
>>52792703
GET THE FUCK OFF ME!!
>>
>>52792731
Welcome to 4chan let the screeching begin!
>>
>>52792771
Go seek help.
>>
>>52790571
Looks like we could definitely be getting a book on the Planes, Planescape even, Wizards have been seeding their books with planar references.
>>
>>52792786
You will need to seek help if you don't back the fuck up
>>
>>52792825
You need a high five.
To the face, with multiple chairs.
>>
>>52792086
Could you guys please stop replying to bait and give me some suggestions here?

>>52792601
The feat allows you to ignore the "loading" property of crossbows. I don't know how it is with the gunslinger, from what I've seen with Percy in CR you have to reload using one of your attacks?
>>
Our paladin wants to multiclass into warlock (hexblade). Putting aside the "UA isn't for MC" factor for a moment, how good would that combo be?
>>
>>52792859
I had an idea for my campaign of tricking them into wearing gauntlets that prevent them from straying a certain distance apart. Then their goal would be to figure out how to remove them, buying you plenty of time to have other things happen to them, drawing from their character backgrounds etc.

In general though, I'd say that you need to talk to the players individually to ascertain what their character wants, and then make sure that the means to achieve them happen to overlap for much of the campaign.

>>52792859
we've sorted it, we both just ended up agreeing that the wording of the feat is vague as fuck and he went for a different feat instead
>>
>>52792886
overpowered

let him know hes a faggot for trying to pull this shit too
>>
What do yall think of harmonquest? Found this on leddit.

https://mega.nz/#F!CUBAxACR!D03s0p6D-Nh7BkEzcTX1lA
>>
>>52792962
It was originally my idea since he has story justification for it. I'm just wondering if I should've kept my mouth shut.
>>
>>52792886
It's a cheese combo and sucks for theme anyway except for the edgelord bladelock/vengeance paladin combo.
>>
>>52792886
Skips the 3 level requirement (and bonus action tax) of going the Tomelock+Shillelagh route.

More significantly, Hexblade's Curse is really strong.

I wouldn't really call this an overpowered combination but it's making what's already one of the strongest classes in the system better, with zero downsides.
>>
>>52793015
>edgelord bladelock/vengeance paladin combo
That's exactly what our paladin is. The whole typical "haunted by a tragic past and inner demons" deal. I was pretty skeptic at first but he seems to be pulling it off pretty well.
He actually roleplays his inner conflicts and the character actually seems to suffer from being mentally unstable.
>>
>>52792886
You really never should've mentioned it.
>>
>>52793074
If he's roleplaying well, let him do it, but put some effort into it as well.

Have him find a magic longsword or whatever else one-handed magic weapon that's the patron in question, and that he can only use by taking levels in hexblade.
>>
>>52793015
Wait, don't you also get one of the Patrons? Ancients Pal/Archfey Hexblade seems pretty cool as a Fey Outrider or a knight-errant of the [insert Archfey here].

>>52792886
Pallock is a very good combo, giving the Paladin a strong ranged option based off of Charisma. Hexblade also does dome stuff, I guess.

They'll be a very strong all-purpose combatant, and can get at least two low level smites off an encounter unless you come hard on short rests.
>>
>>52793216
Hexblade is a patron.
>>
I refuse to be friends with an Eldritch Knight. It's bad enough to have scum like in the group, let alone having to actually speak with him.

Maybe I'll go Monk and quivering palm him ASAP
>>
>>52793340
why
>>
>>52793340
You won't get high enough level to Quivering Palm.
Just shoot him in the back when he's low on health next combat.
>>
>>52793347
Casters are scum. Eldritch Knights are the worst because just when you begin to consider them a bro they pull this kinda shit.

The only acceptable casters are Paladins and Clerics (but not the edgy versions like death cleric or oathbreaker).

>>52793359
We're starting at level 10, it's a good possibility.
>>
>>52793340
Tell me Anon, does he have Shield and Absorb Elements? If so, kill him.
>>
>>52793389
what makes a paladin better than an EK?
>>
File: davidbacknforth.gif (743KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
davidbacknforth.gif
743KB, 480x360px
>>52793389
>it's a martialchild whining about casters episode
same as it ever was
same as it ever was
>>
>>52793340
Anon, monks are about where EK's are as far as martial vs caster goes. BTW nice bait.
>>
>>52793436
>>52793340
yeah I have to say at least EKs admit that they're a caster instead of using a made-up system to pretend that they aren't
>>
>>52793423
A good paladin fights for justice, follows a moral code and will actually RP

A good caster does whatever the fuck they want, complain when another option is taken and bring up OOC shit or text all game.

>>52793405
Do you even have to ask?
>>
File: 1492378657023.jpg (102KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
1492378657023.jpg
102KB, 636x900px
>>52793516
1v1 me knave
>>
>>52793423
Paladins offer support for the group.

Fighters have *one job*, and they willingly choose to become worse at it by going EK, all for what, party tricks?
>>
File: 1469576545335.png (653KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1469576545335.png
653KB, 724x1024px
So one of my players murdered a town shopkeep, then murdered a witness, tried to escape but was knocked unconscious and taken in by the town guard

rest of the party isn't retarded so they surrendered and are in the town jail, told the town guard exactly what happened.

How should I handle this? On my gut call, a weird adventurer showing up and murdering two lifelong residents of the town over nothing gets hung, clean and simple. He's also legitimately unconscious; the player went full retard and attempted to kill all the town guard completely solo, and got knocked down to zip HP

Thing is, this character is the player's first ever, and he loves the character. He's a really OP sharpshooter fighter, doing 20+ damage every attack with sharpshooter, and has managed to accrue a number of magic items and gold. He has something like 5 magic items to his name and like 500GP all to himself. I should clarify, he's played 20+ sessions of 5e now and is no beginner.

There is no doubt in my mind that if I kill his character off the player will have a bitchfit and stop playing D&D all together, which would be really bad as he's our roommate (the whole party is all my roommates and myself). He's a bitch but he's our friend and has been for years.

I was thinking that the party could probably negotiate with the town for his release, but it'd cost greatly.

The town would probably brand him a murderer (big "M" on his forehead), take his possessions, and cut off one of his hands, Jaime Lannister style.

The party breaking out of jail and rescuing him is a possibility, but it'd entail them probably murdering and maiming a bunch of townspeople, and they aren't the sort of party to do that

So how would you guys handle this? What's appropriate? I've never killed off on of my player's characters before. I honestly think that, if the fighter player wasn't a bitch, killing the character off would be good for the future of the campaign. This is the first time they've been life or death
>>
>>52791597
Has anyone actually had this happen? Maybe with a group of incredibly autistic, mean-spirited strangers. But i guess i only play w/ people i know personally
>>
File: true man.jpg (268KB, 1280x894px) Image search: [Google]
true man.jpg
268KB, 1280x894px
>>52793528
Name the time and place, heathen.
>>
>>52791907
Go str raiper or a shortsword. Grapple everything sneak attack w/ rage dmg. Use a shield if you want more ac
>>
>>52793580
What's the character and why did they do it?
>>
>>52793580
Use it as a plot hook. Maybe an unsavory character looking to hire a distraction or good fighters decides to break him out, or a local lord hoping to murder a rival decides to arbitrate, bribing or threatening the magistrate to let him off with a lesser punishment.
>>
>>52793580
Maybe the town will allow his release on the condition of a suicidal redemption quest to solve a problem they can't solve themselves? With a Geas thrown on him if he accepts for good measure? If he succeeds, he's free of the geas but still very banished from a now vigilant town/city.
>>
>>52793580
Force them to work for some shady motherfucker that will make them regret going down this path. Did he seriously kill a shopkeep for no reason?
>>
>>52793580
Did the rest of the party commit any crimes? Otherwise have a trial, make it a farce, and hang the problem player. Rinse and repeat until the player learns to not act like a psyco or quits the group
>>
>>52793580
If the character killed two innocent people, then tried to murder the townsguards who tried to (and succeeded in) apprehending him for this crime, and the rest of the party turned themselves in and confessed to him being the culprit, and they aren't the types to break him out...

He's gonna hang.

Not even a point trying to negotiate his possessions and such, since the town will keep them anyway with his execution.

There's really no way out of this one that doesn't just derail the entire campaign for everyone else.
>>
>>52793580
Personally actions have consequences, they're might be a slim out like >>52793658 but given the circumstances I'd be hesitant to even give him that.
>>
>>52792302
You have to use STR if you want to use the Barbs rage/reckless attacks.
>>
Is there any bestiary App?

It feels weird to me that there are so many character sheets and spell book apps, even rules and inventory, but no fully updated Monsters Manual
>>
>>52793720
5etools on the OP.
>>
>>52793726
Yeah, but for when I don't have access to the internet, or someone megaanon's the crap out of it.
>>
>>52793389
EKs are barely casters. Most of the time, they just cast 'shield' a lot.
They're not much different to battlemasters, really.

EKs are basically tankier fighters.
>>
how do I make my human character interesting
some good backstory ideas?

also is it always taboo for a male to play as a female? even if its not sexualized at all?
>>
>>52793611
Shield doesn't work alongside grappling because you won't have any weapon to attack with, you'll only be able to bash them with a shield which isn't finesse and thus no sneak attack.
If you're going rapier, you might as well get a shield and you only get 2 instead of 3 attacks so you don't need strength so much and since you have a shield you're more AC inclined, so you go 20dex+20con if you can manage that.

>>52793707
You have to use DEX if you want to use the barbs unarmoured defence.
>>
>>52793778
I experiment sometimes, but can't say I have ever gotten anything out of it
>>
>>52793580
3 options
Hang him
This >>52793658
Or a huge event occurs right before the hanging like a group of giants or a dragon and he can either save some lives or run away
>>
>>52793620
>>52793634

I didn't have room for all this in my first post, and it's very important to the situation

First off, this town is a small, poor town in the middle of a really shitty marsh. The party took on a quest to find out why nobody had heard word from the town for nearly two months, and why nobody has come in or out of the marsh for just as long, and additionally to find the whereabouts of several missing persons in the area of the marsh/town. On entering the marsh, they've been seeing weird shit, have a really hard time finding sleep without horrid nightmares (due to a coven of night hags, working for an ancient black dragon who resides in the depths of the marsh). They at one point thought they had made it to the town and began their investigation, though they had no idea that it was in fact just a shared dream that they found their way out of.

After a really rough time in the marsh, they made it to the real town. They tried to get a night's rest at the inn, but the beds had all sorts of fleas and lice and what not and they received the same nightmares in their dreams (the whole town has been taken over by the influence of the coven/Ancient black dragon).

The next day, they started investigating, and went to the shopkeep as he was one of the main characters/influential figures in the town. They began talking him up about all the weird shit, but he acts like this is the first time he's ever heard about it (which it was; the entire town is charmed and have no idea about all the weird shit in the bog and what not).

Eventually the fighter player gets tired of this (he's already pissed off because he got his max HP fucked up from some really bad luck with the night hag's nightmare thing), so he pulls out his bow and holds the shopkeep at arrowpoint, demanding information. When the shopkeep tells him he doesn't know anything, the fighter ices him and an old woman shopping in the store. yall know the rest

character is basic, no real RP is done
>>
>>52793580
If he's as much a bitch as he says, then killing him isn't an option unless you want OOC problems. Understand though that by allowing him to live you're just creating bad expectations for the rest of the group. This guy isn't a good player and that kind of action is pretty shitty.

Anyways, actions have consequences. He loses all of his gold and magic items, obviously. He should also suffer some sort of humiliation. Before he gets executed you can bail him out with some DM bullshit so he doesn't lose his character.

You need to show that actions have consequences otherwise your players won't respect the game and won't respect you.
>>
>>52793797
Which is why Barbarogue is a dumb fucking class because you need to max out 3 attributes. Low AC without Con and Dex, and without STR you aren't getting anything from reckless attack and little from rage other than the resistance
>>
>>52793778
The thing about humans is that you can give them almost any backstory and it'll work. Give me your character's class, I'll give you something.

And no, but you never start playing a girl if you're a guy. Prove that you're a good roleplayer first.
>>
>>52793843
Hang him
>>
>>52793580
kill him
>>
>>52793843
Hang him, and tell him OOC to not be such a fucking retard if he doesn't want to face consequences like that.
>>
>>52793872
>take all his shit
>starts coming up with plans to kill the people that took it and get it back
>>
>>52791305
Isnt there a lore out there where he actually asked to take over hell?
>>
>>52793843
Disregard what I said, kill him or bring him close to it.
>>
>>52793843
I'd suggest one of two options. 1: strip him naked and kick him out of town. Let him try to escape the marsh with nothing but the blood on his hands. 2: Hang him from that pretty looking willow tree on the edge of town.

Terrible decisions have terrible consequences. Better to teach him that sooner rather than later. Let him know there is absolutely zero animosity on your part about any of this, but he fucked up thinking it was okay to kill two innocents in cold blood.
>>
>>52793843
Well, if the party is willing to, the Hag could find them and make a deal to charm the town to completely forget him in return for some favor (I don't know, backstabbing the black dragon or something). You could make it all dramatic too, the Hag could come out just as the character is about to be executed and basically obliviate the whole town before offering the deal on a geas, as >>52793658 suggested.
>>
>>52793949
Oh yeah, almost definitely.

But the point of taking his shit is to slap him on the wrists and say "NO! Bad, That Guy!"

When he undoubtedly tries to get revenge, kill the town, get his shit back, etc. You kill his dumb ass.

You gave him a chance to walk away, so he can only blame himself. Likely he's not the type to ever accept the blame but at least everyone else at the table is on your side
>>
>>52793886
I mean, just a regular barb is a 'dumb fucking class' then because it needs str for damage and con/dex for AC and survivalist.

If anything barbarogue is better because you can afford to have slightly less str, as rogues expertise compensates for low athletics and sneak attack compensates for damage.
>>
File: it starts.jpg (28KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
it starts.jpg
28KB, 480x480px
Just saw the new UA today and it's making me pretty mad. It seems like half the feats are stuff that you should be able to do with your skills already if you're imaginative enough.

Acrobat
>I find good footing to do a flip to jump over the rocky path
>okay, roll for acrobatics
no need to buy a feat

Animal Handler
>I command my faithful dog to guard the area
>okay, roll for animal handling
no need to buy a feat

Diplomat
>I try to convince the guy to let us through because of these compelling reasons
>okay, roll for persuasion
no need to buy a feat

and it goes on. Empathic, Historian, Menacing, Performer, Silver-Tongued, all stuff that you can do without having to buy a feat. It's a handicap for people who don't know how to operate outside of the set rules. I feel like all the UA did was give unimaginative DMs ammunition to say "you can't do that, you need a feat for it"
>>
>>52792606
Wouldnt a bunch of mountain rivers emptying in a plain lead to a lake or large body of water, not a riverland delta thing?
>>
>>52794004
The trick is being able to do those things as a bonus action

It's taking a tiny bit of a dump on the rogue, but it's cool
>>
>>52793910
>>52793921
>>52793942
>>52793954
>>52793963
Unless the party pulls off a fucking miracle the repercussions are going to be big.

One of the things I feel bad about is that the player was pretty stoned when he made his choice; we all were.

>>52793949
>>52793986
This is exactly what'll happen. He cares about his character's possessions more than the lives of other party members; the party actually had to convince him to purchase a cleric's disease removal services when one of the party came down with a fatal plague that put them in a coma. Like he spent awhile trying to figure out a way to avoid paying 200gp when his companion was fucking dying, dude had over 600gp to himself at that point.

honestly even if his character died off the rest of the party would probably orchestrate some heist to get his shit.
>>
>>52794056
okay, so a lot of them are bonus actions.

...in fact, most of them.
Nearly all of them.

But Performance, Empathy, and Diplomat are completely unnecessary, dammit!
>>
>>52794004
>Diplomat
That shit imposes the Charmed condition

It's pretty powerful. Especially if you take a Standard Array to a Charisma Class, and get that 18 CHA + Feat at level 4

Sorcerers and Warlocks will be as powerful as Bards as Face characters
>>
>>52794004
It's to also appeal to Pathtards who need mechanical effects to things they should normally be able to do.
>>
>>52794082
Only ever had one player try this with me
>Character had died
>Met new character in a different area
>Oh I need to go to x becuase exact guy wronged my family when I was young
>Ok
>Get there
>X has moved town due to nearly dying to a murderous psychopath
>No one knows where he is because they recognize the party

Don't let metagaming shit fly
>>
>>52794004
Diplomat lets you charm people, which gives you advantage on social checks, at no cost
>>
>>52793996
Straight barb can go 16 Dex since they don't need high AC since they can rage more consistently and have a larger health pool
>>
>>52794150
Or you could you know learn to RP well enough to be given advantage by the DM
>>
File: 1487217823584.jpg (85KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
1487217823584.jpg
85KB, 500x335px
>>52794082
>that the player was pretty stoned when he made his choice
Execute him even harder for being a dipshit.
>>
What are the tiers for the various orders available for the mystics?
>>
>>52794082
Town collects gold, then proceeds to auction off remaining supplies. Due to the poor nature of the town, his hard earned treasure is sold for several coppers apiece, maybe a silver or two. The party isn't allowed to participate. Any effort to obtain the items after they are sold is met with exorbitant offers way above what the item is actually worth through negotiation. If they try to steal, they will be hanged. They're already on the city's black list.

Being high doesn't give you an excuse for being retarded. In general, being stoned should make you less violent/rash. His failure to account for his actions would've occurred whether or not he was high.
>>
>>52794082
it might seem cruel, but don't forget that the punishment should extend slightly toward the rest of the party. The rest of the town should be suspicious/hostile to them at the very least.

You want the other players pissed at this guy too. He potentially endangered the rest of them due to his impatience. They should be questioning his value to the party.

Honestly, the fact that this guy doesn't even RP on top of all of this bullshit just screams murderhobo. Sorry OP, but your friend is cancer. How he reacts to this will make or break his D&D career. Be confident that you'll probably have more fun without him.
>>
File: beef-CutsOfBeef.jpg (356KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
beef-CutsOfBeef.jpg
356KB, 800x567px
>>52794182
Rogue's uncanny dodge and evasion help soften blows, alleviating the need for so much beef.
>>
>>52794194
>unkillable tier
Immortals have a shit load of health and potential unarmored AC, though you may end up using studded leather or inertial armor anyway if your CON is less than ideal.
Mind you any Mystic can regenerate mid-combat with Mystic regeneration.
>top tier
Every other order is great too, there's seriously no downsides to picking one it just depends what kind of character you want.
>>
>>52794187
Pathtards are going to complain.
>>
>>52794187
>players can talk well to get advantage on charisma
>I cant do some parkour to get advantage on acrobatics
How is this fair?
>>
>>52794201
>>52794219
None of the party RPs very much, we're just not that sort of group. All my players are dudebros/jocks/frat sort of guys, your atypical college dudes. They love killing monsters, solving puzzles, going on quests, getting loot and xp, but they don't give a shit about whether or not it's ok for a Cleric aligned with a good god to do bad shit or not.
>>
>>52794238
Alright thanks.
>>
>>52794232
Seems Battlemaster would be better mixed class. You don't even need to touch STR and don't need to max Con. You can just use medium or heavy armor plus you can get free advantage 4 times every short rest and a fighting style
>>
>>52794123
>>52794187
Exactly

>>52794113
But can't Sorcerors and Warlocks just, you know, cast charm? Why does this skill in particular make them better as faces?
And won't the person still be angry once it wears off? Like charm does?
>>
>>52794275
DnD isn't built for people who can do physical things. It's built for basement dwellers who can't actually achieve something in real life, so they pretend to matter in a setting their basement king built after cobbling together his favorite references into a semi-coherent pile of trash.
>>
>>52794275
I bet if you described the parkour moves in detail the DM might be convinced to give you advantage.
>>
>>52794286
Gotcha. Well at the very least you set the standard for the table.

Have his confiscated money go to the families of the victims. The local guard/nobles will probably love his magic shit.
>>
>>52794303
I suppose it's just a matter of opinion at this point. I've never much been one for multiclassing, personally, so whatever floats your boat works for me.
>>
>>52794321
No. They only get angry when the effect says so, like friends or charm person because they know you used magic
>>
>>52794303
Could even go Rogue/Samurai, it's basically a mini 2 turn rage for when you need it. Also it's level 7 makes you even better with social skills.

I still don't understand why they didn't make the Samurai's ability on a Berserker themed Fighter though.
>>
>>52794286
In that case just take his shit and let him know he's been put on some magical dipshit list. Anywhere the party goes the fact that they are travelling with a known dipshit will always find a way to be a minor/moderate hindrance to the party. Let the bros be bros, but never let them forget the one time your bitch roommate sperged and permanently tainted the groups reputation. Pull this right and it'll be a joke they'll all be laughing about for ages, even when it presents roadblocks for the group. Except maybe the dipshit but who cares what he thinks.
>>
>New UA
>Look at Investigator

Why is WotC so desperate to make investigation absolute trash?

Maybe they already realize its irrelevant and are just hoping everyone forgets about it
>>
So I've finally gotten the opportunity to build a Mystic, in campaign my 2nd level Bard died and party hit 3rd level after combat.
I've decided on Immortal and I've tried to build a character with a theme, that theme is Slaanesh because I can.
So I've taken Celerity, Precognition, Mantle of Awe, and Bestial Form. Got Blade Meld and Light Step as Talents.
I'm dual wielding a scimitar and shortsword because missing out on a +2 bonus to hit isn't a big deal to me, and a whip for that delicious reach. He gave us first level feats and I'm a human variant for a bonus feat so I just grabbed Durable and Resiliant (Constitution) for an AC boost, gonna grab Weapon Mastery at 4th level.
He let me choose my own quirk so I decided she's obsessed with a steel mirror, checks her appearance after every rest and after every combat.
Our group does the 4d6 drop lowest dice ruling for determining stats, my rolls weren't great but I got an 18 and nothing under 10 so I'm satisfied. 19 intelligence, 17 dexterity, 12 in everything else and a 10 in strength.
We haven't started next session yet so I'm just wondering if I fucked up anywhere? Is there something I could do better for the Slaaneshi flavour?
>>
>>52794410
I never thought about it to now, but a Knight/Rogue could be pretty cool for trying to get the Maximum Sneak Attacks per round.
>>
>>52794435
Whats wrong with it? You use it to find things
>>
>>52794442
I'd focus on the "seeks perfection" aspect more than the "fucks everything" aspect, for the sake of the party.
>>
So, suppose I need to stat Ezmerelda d'Avenir or Rudolph van Richten as PCs. Which classes and archetypes fit them the most?
>>
>>52794435
I dare say finding traps and hidden enemies is better then some of those feats.

Historian's the most broken thing in there and I plan to take it on a Mastermind Rogue/Fighter
>>
I'm building some small dungeons to give my players the chance to get XP, gold, and magic items, but I need some help. What are some good uncommon or rare magic items that most players would find useful?
>>
>>52794528
Are your players creative or just want to kill things?
>>
>>52794466
>>52794494
From RAW my understanding is that perception is used for finding things (like traps and hidden enemies) and Investigation is just used to understand what you've found. It just isn't as useful as perception
>>
File: IMG_0005.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>get into dnd
>have two games going on
>one online with IRL best buds
>all of them are inattentive observers
>describe cave mouth and entrance to dungeon
>"what do you do?" 10-30 second silence
>combat starts, 1 minute+ turns, repeat myself when something happens to them and it's not their turn
>other game irl
>DM railroading hard, doesn't even matter what I do or say
>forced to roll perception for introducing new characters, when I have pp of 16

Really discouraged from playing. I had one of you guys sit down in one of my games and listen in, says I could use more varied language but is otherwise fine, for a beginner DM

I just want to chill the fuck out and play it

Pic related, a spider I found on my shoulder, pretty sure it has spell slots.
>>
>>52794528
Fuck that weaksauce. Give them Sovereign Glue and never, never, ever give them the solvent.
>>
>>52794471
That is the idea, was planning on making one or two innuendo's about combat sadomasochism with the self healing Mystic Regeneration ability but that's kind of expected amongst us.
I figured Immortals order worked best for the seeking perfection ideal plus makes it easier to be a bit of pain loving tank/dps/party face. Not sure how much damage I'll pump out until I get proficiency with my weapons but I have darts and daggers as backup, plus Beast Claws from Bestial Form that DM says I can fluff as a scything lobster claw for when I really need to deal a bunch of damage to something fast.
>>
>>52794321
>But can't Sorcerors and Warlocks just, you know, cast charm? Why does this skill in particular make them better as faces?

Because it also gives them Expertise in Persuasion
>>
>>52794560
you could try to be more engaging by instead asking broadly what you do, point out say the ranger or whatever and say 'You see this thing over here but the others miss it and it seems to spot you and looks dangerous what do you do?' it'll either make them do something to initiate or they have to communicate with their group. Asking individuals means they have to reply instead of waiting for someone else to do it.
>>
>>52794543
There's one player who wants to murderhobo, but the other three are pretty creative and get into combat as a last resort
>>
>>52794560
Offer to DM for the rl group when that campaign finishes/the DM wants a break

Or, depending on that group size/how often you meet you could DM some or all of them concurrently
>>
>>52794613
How do you even deal with murderhobos, minmaxers, and powergamers in general?
>>
>>52794528
+1 weapons/armor/wands of the war mage

Rings of protection

Potions of healing/greater healing/giant strength

Bags of holding

Immovable rods, especially if they get two or more

Scrolls of spells that the casters considered too boring to take, like Identify, Comprehend Languages, and Sending

Diamonds (they're the material components for important resurrection spells, so they have a good reason to hold onto them)
>>
>>52794473
Ezmerelda as an Eldritch Knight and van Richten as a Knowledge Cleric
>>
>>52794410
>>52794447
Fighter 3/Rogue gives you the final Rogue archetype at the expense of an ASI. Fighter 4/Rogue gives you max ASIs at the expense of the archetype feature. Champion will give you more crits and Battlemaster gives you 3 Manuevers and 4 1d8 battle dice every short rest. I dunno about the UAs. Either way you get action surge, armor proficiencies, and a fighting style
>>
>>52790783
What is priestess? Is that a cleric variant?
>>
>>52794545
Well Perception's mainly used for noticing things. Realising there's a trap underfoot, an enemy sneaking up on you or noticing there bug that just crawled up your spine.

Investigation is whenever you search for something. If an enemy turns invisible and you try to find him, you're specifically looking for a switch on the wall or trying to find the key hidden in the Prince's Chambers.

Most of the time the two are pretty much interchangeable honestly. They apply to the same checks, just in different ways. So Intelligence characters should not bother picking up Perception.
>>
>>52793886
You only need 14 DEX to be a barbarogue.

Incindentally this is all the DEX you need to max out Medium Armor AC.
>>
>>52794630
In game consequences, NPC's get uncomfortable around people who seem to be living weapons who only desire to murder, even if they do thankfully go after only bandits and monsters.
If the whole party does it just throw stronger monsters at them to see how much they can overcome before they go down.
>>
>>52793580
Hang them and then burn the body. The players gold goes towards resurrecting the murdered NPCs and damages and any remaining given to the other players
>>
>>52794473
>>52794644
Their npc statblocks are pretty good.
>>
>>52794644
Seconded.
Tho Ezmerelda is awkward as an Eldritch Knight because of Spell Selection

I'd say she could do just as well as a Spell Singer with a few levels of Swashbuckler Rogue
>>
>>52794613
Off the top of my head in uncommon;
Wand of Web
Staff of the Adder
Slippers of Spider Climbing
x weapon of Warning
Robe of Serpents is pretty fun
Rope of Climbing is always useful eventually
Philter of Love
Pearl of Power if your casters are trigger happy in creative ways
Helm of Telepathy or Comprehend languages
Hat of Disguise
Goggles of Night for your inferior races without darkvision
and Deck of Illusions is surprisingly fun in a pinch.

As for Rare items it's a big old bag of completely useless to really annoyingly strong. I've not met a DM who's been happy to give someone a Robe of Eyes.
>>
>>52794560
sounds like your IRL friends would have more fun in the other guy's group.

I've DM'd a two player game and both players were super passive observer types. It felt like I had to spoon feed them. They had almost zero drive or creativity of their own.

I think some players want to be railroaded. They want a simple dungeon with one path forward and a bad guy at the end to kill. If you give them 3 options they'll stare at you like you just asked them to list the first 80 digits of Pi.
>>
>>52794660
Wouldn't it be best to go for fighter 5/rogue X for the extra attack?
>>
New to D&D and Ranger, would appreciate recommendations for my spells. I get 4 level 1, 3 level 2-4, and 2 level 5 I believe. Here's what I'm allowed to pick from:
https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/conjure-barrage
Originally I thought Lightning Arrow would be very strong but its Concentration which apparently means it takes up my whole turn? At later levels I'll have several attacks so Lightning Arrow would only be good when several enemys are bunched up together. Conjure Barrage on the other hand is instantaneous which when I replace a single basic attack it would be better, and especially better in an aoe situation. Ultimately I have no idea what I'm doing either way because I don't know how situational these spells are that I get to choose from. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me which spells have more constant use instead of situational use.
>>
>>52794727
Forgot about that. So you have 3 options. Extra attack is probably the best option but you give up an ASI and a Archetype ability
>>
Is it feasible to play with npc statblocks and pc statblocks?
>>
>>52790783
I think it should say "Primeval Guardian" under ranger, not "Primeval Warrior."
>>
>>52794728
The spells you'll want to cast all the time are Hunter's Mark, Cure Wounds or Goodberry, and Locate Object/Locate Creature. Spells that have a huge effect in combat are Plant Growth, Swift Quiver, and Conjure Animals. Spells you might want to have every now and then are Pass Without Trace, Silence, and Lesser Restoration.
>>
>>52794802
No. NPCs are built entirely differently from PCs.
>>
>>52794668
I did a quick search of DM's Guild and found this:
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/192760/Priestess-Ancient-World-Divine-Class
>>
>>52794644
van Richten fits the lore of a Knowledge cleric, but the mechanics of a War domain
>>
>>52794275
Like another anon says, if you are descriptive in what you want to do DMs should be willing to give advantage for it.
>>
>>52793886
You choose either dexterity or strength.
You don't use both. It's not worth it.

You don't NEED +2 damage on every attack, and you don't absolutely need reckless attack. In fact, a dexterity barbarogue with 14 strength (they need at least 13) can use reckless attack even if they have about 20 strength and while overall it won't improve their damage (Advantage cancels with -3 to hit, rage damage cancels with damage loss), they can still use the advantage to get sneak attack.
>>
>>52793843
Why are there so many guards in a poor, small town? Especially if someone is charming everyone?

Though he sounds like he should've easily have ran instead of trying to mass-murder everyone.

You could also have an evil cult try to assimilate him, because he really sounds like he belongs in an evil cult.
>>
>>52794820
But what impact would it have on actual play?
>>
Anyone has that trove with all D&D books ever?
>>
>>52794922
Do you mean have people play using NPC stats?

Its fine but limited. I do it if a player dies so they have something to do in the meanwhile
>>
>>52794808
It seems like I'm really not understanding something. Conjure Animals for example is a level 3 spell. If I choose to use that spell it wouldn't allow me to do basic attacks for that turn because it says "Concentration" right? Is that really worth it especially considering I could be using my other daily spells for other convenient purposes?
>>
>>52794903
It all depends on his level. Keep in mind its just one PC and one who is apparently ranged so a small group of guards could beat him at melee

And his HP was reduced by between 1 and 10 from night hag
>>
>>52794976
Look at Casting Time not Concentration
>>
>>52794976
Concentration means two things:
A. You cannot use another concentration spell without dismissing it
B. If you get hit you have to make a constitution saving throw to maintain it.
>>
>>52794976
The casting time for Conjure Animals is 1 Action. Meaning you use a whole action to cast the spell.

Concentration means you cannot cast another spell that requires concentration while this one is still active. Furthermore, whenever you take damage, you may need to roll a Constitution saving throw to see if you maintain the spell.

Think of it like you have to upkeep the spell mentally and you can only do this with one type of concentration spell at a time. You can cast other spells while this is active that aren't concentration fine however such as Cure Wounds or the like.
>>
>>52794964
So it's basically a lack of options on part of the npc statblocks? It's a shame really.
>>
File: IMG_2907.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2907.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
How do I wubba lubba dub dub in Fifth Edition?
>>
I ran death house last week with all my IRL friends who live together and are super into board games, and I fucked up

Because they all loved it and now want me to run Curse of Strahd. I'm an entire newb to DM'ing and fuck fuck fuckity fuck, I am not ready to take on the big dick on campus

How do I do it tege? I love them and I want to make this the event of the year.
What are the *must* things that I should bring to the adventure?
I already rolled all the treasure in advance to keep from slowing down the adventure, I'm pouring through the random events, and pulling my hair trying to decide where the artifacts go at, and who should be their ally for maximum story telling potential, and I'm just getting a little overwhelmed, not with prep, but meta prep.

I've read the guide, and I've read like, half of Van Richten's guide to monsters I even have this touching little moment planned where he finally lifts his curse by having him and the character who is going ot be revealed to be the last surviving vistani of the tribe he killed forgive one another and I'm trying to pace out the beats of major important details, like the conversation ismarck has about the siege of Kolyan Manor and shit and I'm starting to panic. The character beats are getting mixed up with the foreshadowing encounters and I'm still halfway through picking iconic trinkets!

I just want to do my best you guys.
>>
>>52795050
Artificer class to start with since they don't need no magic for their guns. Hopefully get some kind of Plane Shift wand.iui
>>
>>52795050
Conjuration Wizard

With a couple of levels in Artificer Gunsmith
>>
>>52795011
If he's a battlemaster with pushing attack, he could probably kite for a bit. But eh.
It does sound like they'd do a lot of damage per hit, so with action surge it does sound like they could down a few guards in a round.
Though a lot would just surround him, disarm him, shove him and grapple him and he'd be 100% useless immediately.

Still, I wouldn't expect more than ~10 guards maybe. Though that's a lot, and that's assuming it's a small town rather than a village. Though you'd expect millitia and people taking up arms and pitchforks.
>>
File: 1404122816558.gif (844KB, 268x278px) Image search: [Google]
1404122816558.gif
844KB, 268x278px
Is it just me or is the Bard's Jack of All Trades ability amazing?
Near as I can tell it effects saving throws, initiative, and attacks with non-proficient weapons, at least by RAW.
>>
>>52795125
Initiative, counterspell, stealth, persuasion, medicine, etc.

Basically anything that's an ability check.

A save throw is a save throw.
An attack is an attack roll.
>>
>>52795125
does not apply to saves or attack rolls
>>
File: Diffusion-Sliver.jpg (42KB, 636x467px) Image search: [Google]
Diffusion-Sliver.jpg
42KB, 636x467px
>>52795144
>>52795188
My mistake on saving throws and attacks, building a counterspell focus bard now though.
Know any spells that buff charisma I can rip with Lore College?
>>
>>52795050
First of all, you get back to /r/rickandmorty
>>
Have y'all ever ran three or more classes on a multiclass character? How did it go?
>>
>>52795194
>counterspell focus bard

prepare for your DM to hate you and actively try to kill you
>>
>>52795194
Enhance Ability is a spell you can give yourself that gives you advantage on that Counterspell check, and it's just level 2

Also, get expertise in athletics. If you ever grab bigby's hand, that grapple check with a +8 str is going to be ridiculous amounts of fun.

But yeah, Jack of All Trades applies to Counterspell, Initiative, Dispel Magic, Bigby's Hand, Telekinesis and I'm not sure what else.

Not only jack of all trades applies, at level 14, you can add your own inspiration to those checks

Those last two additionally have contested checks, which you can sabotage with Cutting Words
>>
>>52795242
Sweet
>>52795252
Why are Bards so based?
>>
>>52795268
Because you have a hard on for them.
>>
>>52795268
Based?
>Level 19 gets no new spells known
>Level 20 is the worst cap ability in the game
>You can't add your instruments proficency to your performance checks
>You're the only class who doesn't have acess too all its ritual spells
>DM is always overcompensating social encounters to adjust for your natural charisma that comes from playing a character you actually enjoy

Anon, we're the most oppressed class in the game
>>
>>52795306
>the most oppressed class in the game
>access to any spell in the game
>>
>>52795318
I hope you never have to know the pain of being overwhelmed with the crushing weight of such amazing choices, like counterspell, bigby's hand, simulacrum and Wish
>>
how badly can you screw up the character by one level dip?

I want to use a longsword as life cleric...
>>
>>52795350
E L F
L
F
>>
>>52795293
How did you know?
>>52795306
So what you're saying is, that a 2 level dip doesn't hurt Bard's at all?
Also Bardic Instruments are some of the best magic items.
>>
>>52795380
>How did you know?

Just my assumption from your preference for bards. Just like how you got guys having erections for Paladins or Wizards etc.
>>
>>52795380
What, actually seriously?
Well, no, not on a level 20 build, but anon, level 20 builds are a meme.
>>
>>52795306
You probably can't make a performance with an instrument without proficiency in that instrument.
You don't need all the ritual spells. That's the wizard or a tomelock. You have enough benefits over a wizard.
Level 19 and 20 are practically irrelevant.
Many other classes have high charisma and really that's just your DM being bad if they don't let you be good at things you're good at.
>>
>>52795409
If you multiclass out of bard, even if for just two levels, then you delay your Wish spell for the final level of play

Which means, you simply barely ever get to play with your juiciest toy in the box
>>
File: rest.jpg (17KB, 418x72px) Image search: [Google]
rest.jpg
17KB, 418x72px
How strict are you with the one long rest per 24 hour rule?

For example a party wakes up at 6am, has several adventures then wants to take a long rest at say 4pm.

Objectively they would have to wait til 10pm to follow the one per 24 hour rule.
>>
>>52795364
but then I'm stuck at 14 STR...
>>
>>52795432
I'm not that strict.
>>
>>52795399
Fair...
I just like being able to do everything.
Also apparently Counterspell better than anyone.
>>52795409
Was joke.
>>
>>52795432

I'd say by taking turns standing watch and shit, their 8 hours rest gets stretched to 10 or 12 hours
>>
>>52795456
Actually, abjuration wizard is better at counterspelling. They get full proficiency.

>>52795350
Just ask your DM if you can get training. I mean, seriously, there's barely any benefit to you using a longsword.
>>
>>52795473
Glory to the abjuration.
>>
>>52795473
Bards get to add their own inspiration to the counterspell / cutting words counter spells to your counter spell / cast Glibness to make sure your counterspell check is never below 20/Cast silence
>>
>>52795473
Ah shit, you got me there, I forgot about that.
>>52795508
this though
>>
File: 14659832.jpg (91KB, 662x660px) Image search: [Google]
14659832.jpg
91KB, 662x660px
>>52795508
>>52795473
>>52795456
Bards shouldn't be able to buff their counterspell so much.

If they can counter a 9th level spell with a 3rd level spell slot relatively easily, something is wrong.
>>
>>52795631
What happened to Bards actually being a jack of all trades?

Magic OP pls nerf.
>>
>>52795631
>no trigger discipline
>>
>>52795652
>magic is OP

Sure if you are a wizard and go the game breaking route.
>>
how would you guys like to see a Garrote weapon done? I think I would like to see it as basically a hidden dagger but it does damage on successful grapple checks. Maaaaaybe it silences those grappled by it but that feels a little overpowered even if it is how Garrotes really work. Of course you could deal sneak attack damage with it.

would make stronk rogues with skill expertise in athletics so nicely flavorful but I'm not sure about my balancing
>>
>>52795746
I mean, it would definitely take the "Verbal" part out of Verbal, Somatic, Material.
>>
>>52795746
Look in the monster manual, under ettercap. At least, I think that was the name. Adapt that as a weapon, or failing that, go find the Martial Options PDF- That has a garrote.
>>
>>52795473
He said no to free weapon proficiency.

I guess going with Wood Elf and stick with short sword might be more optimal
>>
File: 1436758185059.png (279KB, 501x497px) Image search: [Google]
1436758185059.png
279KB, 501x497px
>be human variant
>buff dex and charisma
>take alert feat
>go bard3/rogue3
>swashbuckler archetype
>college of lore
>all of the skills
>go first all the time
>take war caster at 4th level
>dual wield scimitars
>move through combat as a dancing dervish of death
>continue bard progression for more spells
>take counterspell and enchance ability
>eagle's splendor and watch DM blow a gasket as you take advantage and half proficiency to shut down enemy casters
>move before party
>move before enemies
>move before literally everyone
>turn off AOO
I mean you could take it to rogue 5 for an extra attack I guess but god damn.
>>
>>52795841
Guess your DM isn't aware they can counter your counterspell with their own reaction.
>>
>>52795841
> rogue 5
> extra attack
>>
File: 1437006922511-2.jpg (23KB, 381x289px) Image search: [Google]
1437006922511-2.jpg
23KB, 381x289px
>>52795882
Cutting Words
>>
>>52795746
I feel like you would take disadvantage on any attack that isn't a surprise or a flank. Just think of how hard it would be to get a garrote around somebody who knows what you're trying to do. It's a surprise weapon.
Plus, it'll feel super cool if you do manage to snag someone with it with disadvantage.
>>
>>52795896
My mistake, any other way to boost my number of attacks above 2 per round with this build?
>>
>>52795899
You already use your reaction for counterspell. Please go back to /pfg/. We don't need anime poster with shit system mastery in here.
>>
>tfw playing this is going to be my first time playing anything that isn't forum freeform bullshit

W-Wish me luck lads
>>
>>52795926
Ah shit, you're right, I'm bad at managing my action economy, oh well, still made them use a third level spell slot to get their other spell off.
>>
>>52795929
Post your character you slut
>>
File: Payday2_microplay_2-3.jpg (329KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Payday2_microplay_2-3.jpg
329KB, 1920x1080px
Help me with some brainstorming? I need one more PC and i'm out of ideas.
I'm prepping a Heist One-Shot in 5e about an old band of thieves that's coming back together to pull of a last job. It's gonna be with premade PCs.
So far I have the following characters:

> Dwarven Rogue Thief. He opened a meat store but the buisness has been very bad and he's needing the money to keep his little store open. He's the "I'm too old for this shit" guy.

> Human Fighter Battlemaster Noble. She's an old highborn woman who joined this gang just for the thrill of the illegal jobs. He can be a dude, too. The player will choose, but I made her with a female PC in mind. Fights with a reaper and it's kind of the "duelist" trope.

> High-Elf Wizard Illusionist. He had a house with all kind of magical attractions like a house of mirrors and stuff like that. Maybe he could be the mole of the party.

> Half-Elf College of Whispers Bard who is a fabolous courtier who knows everyone who is someone on town.

I have made also a very tough and professional gnome artificer NPC that's the coordinator, operator and getaway cab driver.

Any ideas for the 5th PC?
>>
>>52795929
That reminds me. Anybody have that gif titled "freeform rpg" that's just two guys continuously teleporting behind each other?
>>
File: 1459940144624.gif (2MB, 400x616px) Image search: [Google]
1459940144624.gif
2MB, 400x616px
How do I balance a party that has drained all their resources and objectively needs a long rest with a spooky island full of deadly enemies that don't want them to long rest?

They have no way off.

If they don't rest they won't survive the next 1-2 fights.

They've already used all their HD.
>>
>>52795962
>Fights with a reaper
Is that a rapier, or a scythe?
>>
>>52795984
Sorry, not native english speaker. Rapier.
>>
>>52795975
Give them some way to make a temporary safe zone?
>>
>>52795975
Some kind of benevolent spirit that provides them sanctuary, or just an ambivalent one who hates other ghosts trespassing on his territory that the party can convince/bribe/plead with?
>>
>>52795949
Yeah but they are enemies you are presumably killing this encounter. They get to confidently blow all their resources on you, while you have already either spent some resources or have to worry about the next fight.
>>
>>52796018
To be perfectly fair if the enemy knows counterspell either the DM is fucking with me personally or this is a high power enemy and having him use up extra spell slots on his spells is probably good for the whole party. Unless the DM is giving NPC's unlimited spell slots again.
>>
File: 1371082213154.jpg (47KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
1371082213154.jpg
47KB, 432x600px
>>52796008
>>52796003
Hmmm, which God is most likely to be the enemy of corruption and chaos?
>>
>>52796081
Helm
>>
>>52796081
I was thinking more something smaller, like a hearth spirit who's eager to finally have someone living in its decrepit house again, or like a gruff, powerful river spirit who the enemies are afraid of, but has something he wants or needs and if the party gets it for him, he'll begrudgingly let them stay.
>>
>>52795960
He's not finished yet
>>
>>52796154
Well you know where to go if you need help.

Not here though. We'll just tell you to read the PHB instead.
>>
>>52796081
>>52796121
Helm or Torm
>>
>>52795921
Play a valor bard, or take 5 levels of warlock with pact of the blade.
>>
>>52795048
NPCs aren't really meant for player use for extended periods of time
>>
>>52795063
You let the fates decide artifact and ally etc through cards yo
>>
>>52795252
You use the Hands Athletics not yours
>>
>>52795929
>freeform forum roleplay

Still the worst thing ever created by man
>>
File: freeformrpg.gif (1MB, 297x168px) Image search: [Google]
freeformrpg.gif
1MB, 297x168px
>>52795964
Just because I like you
>>
>>52795746
I think there's an Assassin in HotDQ or RoT that uses one.

Personally I'd make it: 1d6, Finesse, you have Disadvantage unless they're surprised and they have to make an Athletics or Acrobatics check against your Attack roll or be grappled. While grappled this way you can only attack them with the Garrote, they can't make any verbal sounds and they're unable to breathe.

They can make an action on each of their turns to make and Athletics or Acrobatics check vs an Attack Roll from you to break out.
>>
How do you fluff or describe your Smites, /5eg/? Crackling radiance enveloping a weapon? Searing, holy burst of flame?
What about the color of the effect? I'd simply assume it to be bright yellow or similar depending on the spell since the regular smites are radiant damage, but apparently people like using different colors for that shit.
>>
>>52796419
Since you don't smite until damage is dealt I always imagine that my weapon looks mundane but the mark it leaves sparkles and smokes.
>>
File: Our_Lord.jpg (49KB, 350x323px) Image search: [Google]
Our_Lord.jpg
49KB, 350x323px
>>52796419
I made a Hexblade Warlock whose patron was the murderkube because I'm shit
So I fluffed Wrathful Smite to be glowing red blade that cracks with small explosions on contact.
>>
>>52796419
Crackling instance.
>>
File: 1491532991982.jpg (339KB, 1024x1381px) Image search: [Google]
1491532991982.jpg
339KB, 1024x1381px
>>52790571
Is Druid/Necromancer wizard a viable multiclass? I just thought of it and flavorwise its A+ as an evil pc or a villain. Dark hearted, life and death balance obsessed druid willing to make use of prey's leftovers to return the natural order to the world.

If not wizard, what else would work without being too MAD?
>>
>>52796556
> not using spooky skeleton to plants more tree and tending the animals

Cleric get animate dead too.
>>
>>52794038
Sort of imagined there being caves and dungeon entrances draining into the underdark, plus a huge swamp seemed like a perfect excuse to add some unique terrain
>>
File: 1404610949654.gif (167KB, 279x240px) Image search: [Google]
1404610949654.gif
167KB, 279x240px
If you were a swashbuckler-mystic focused on Mantle of Awe would the charisma bonus be added to your initiative?
>>
>>52796556
Just use a straight cleric or straight necromancer.
>>
>>52796556
Druid / Cleric could work.

Honestly I'd just go Nature Cleric and use Animate Dead a lot.
>>
Would there be any problem with necromancer wizard in CoS? Strahd can't steal skeletons from me right?
>>
If I have resistance to fire and resistance to spells as per Aura of Warding am I immune to say, a fireball? Or do I only take 1/4 damage from it?
>>
File: F18Hh.jpg (185KB, 750x1022px) Image search: [Google]
F18Hh.jpg
185KB, 750x1022px
>>52796585
>I forgot the nature domain
fuck, thanks. that could be really awesome. Gaining heavy armor means the possibility of working with my dm to create bone full plate, and the destroy undead feature would tie in very flavorfully with the concept. Multiclassing into druid would barely even be necesary.

Would still love to see others ideas on this as far as classes and thematic spells and shit go.
>>
File: 1368061965610.jpg (19KB, 344x345px) Image search: [Google]
1368061965610.jpg
19KB, 344x345px
First time DM here. Should I run a homebrew campaign or play one of the official ones?
>>
>>52796700
Follow something with a structure. Play Lost mines or even something simple like Great Upheaval from Storm kings.
>>
Which cleric domain should I go for? We're going to play curse of strahd.

Currently the party is:
Fighter,Druid,Sorcerer,Rogue

Maybe knowledge domain to make up for the lack of wizard?
>>
>>52796774
life.
>>
>>52796687
The Original favored soul with nature domain, Theurge with nature or death domain, Glamour Bard, Feylock / Shadow Sorcerer.

This is also my favorite idea in fantasy but actually raising undead isn't always the coolest part.
>>
>>52796774
Arcana domain would be better for making up for the lack of wizards if SCAG is allowed, but Life would counter Undead stuff better.
>>
>>52796804
Is life really necessary with druid around?
>>
>>52796774
>Lack of Wizard

There's a fucking Sorcerer right there.

I say Life or Tempest. The fighter has no pal to fight beside. Grab your heavy armor and flail and go get to fighting
>>
>>52796822
I'm confused how do Life counter undead stuff?
>>
>>52796774
I don't say this often but an Immortal or Soul Knife Mystic would actually fit well.

Covers Intelligence and gives you another person on the frontlines.
>>
>>52796827
no INT based class anon. How do you expect to pass knowledge check and know about monster weakness without metagaming?
>>
>>52796840
I fucked up, I was thinking of stuff any cleric can do.
>>
>>52796669
Not in this edition. He would have in the original
>>
>>52796854
An INT based class will only give between +2-4 more then someone without.

Guidance or the Rogue taking expertise in an INT skill would pretty much cover it. Hell most Rogues actually have a passable INT score.
>>
>>52796680
You take 1/2. Resistances don't stack
>>
>>52792555
Not all dragonborn are physically powerful like orcs and goliaths but I like the innate spellcasting idea, that fits pretty well.
>>
>>52796851
They need a cleric or paladin to use Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.
>>
>>52796892
well fuck me
pretty sure my DM doesn't know that though
>>
>>52796774
War Domain for the sunsword otherwise Y'ALL FUCKED
>>
>>52796840
he's probably overvaluing Divine Strike.

>>52796854
>Implying there needs to be a representative of each stat, especially when the average group has 4 members
>Implying there's literally no way to determine monster weaknesses without reading a fuckign guide or using a +3 dice roll
>Implying that every fucking team needs a Wizard, since not having an INT based class is apparently death-on-arrival (and that there are no other INT based classes)

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME ANON. JUST GRAB A PROFICIENCY IN AN INT SKILL.
>>
>>52796903
PHB 197
>>
>>52796910
Lets not forget the fun of the Amber temple. All those nice gifts.
>>
>>52796885
> rogue wasting expertise on knowledge skill instead of perception or investigation
>>
>>52793472
Y-you too
>>
>>52792555
A while ago I gave Dragonborn a boost i my games by buffing the Breath Weapon a little.

The damage is reduced by 1d6 at each stage (so 1d6, 2d6 and etc.) but they can use it a number of times equal to their Constitiution Mod per Long Rest. They gain +1 use at levels 6, 11 and 17.
>>
>>52796907
tempting... I'm pretty sure the rogue or the fighter would call a dip on sunsword though.
>>
>>52796933
>Not everyone plays their Rogue the same way
>>
>>52796907
>>52796963
Just watch as the fighter calls dibs on on the sunsword and then Strahd charms them to chuck it out the window.
>>
What about Half-elf Rogue 1 / Knowledge Cleric X?

10 skill proficiency, 4 expertise. Can use sunsword if need to be. Advantage against magical charm.
>>
>>52797052
blatant minmax multiclassing.
depends on your group and personal integrity.
>>
>>52797052
Identify what your team lacks.

Simple saying "We need more smart stuff!" Doesn't cut it.
>>
File: skones.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
skones.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
Gimme some cool Ranger backstories that are fun to roleplay as

here is what I've come up with so far

>Human Prince who was turned in a Kobold by an evil sorcerer and is trying to find said sorcerer to lift the curse.

>Self-deprecating Half-Orc who is trying to rescue his daughter who was kidnapped by pirates

>Self-deprecating, depressed half-orc who wishes to end his life but, according to tradition, the only honorable way to die is to be killed fighting in battle, so he searches for his death on the battlefield

>A pirate whose crew kidnapped a young half-orc girl and he is trying to reunite her with her father

>A young farmer boy who wants to become a great adventurer
or
>A young farmer boy who stumbled upon a great treasure but his village was destroyed by thieves looking for said treasure so he aims to become a great warrior to avenge his village
>An adventurer who was put in stasis for over 1000 years and is now waking up
>A once powerful dragon was turned into a human and now must live among humans
>>
>>52797152
A dwarf that's sick of elves taking all the motherfucking credit for archery and is on a quest to prove he's the best damn archer in the whole goddamn realm bar none.

Prone to accepting challenges of skill, especially against elves.
>>
>>52797152
none of those have anything to do with rangers specifically.
>>
>>52797285
ya you're right but I already decided I want to play a ranger
>>
File: ss+(2017-04-19+at+11.52.57).png (10KB, 875x107px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-04-19+at+11.52.57).png
10KB, 875x107px
Why do I even bother with leddit

>There are DMs that don't know what the fuck resistance is

And of course the player is a Tiefling.

Its like I enjoy being angry.
>>
>>52797342
He doesn't seem to be illiterate, is he massively retarded?
>>
>>52797360
I mean its reddit. I'm probably retarded for using the site, but he takes it one step further.
>>
>>52797152
A bellringer who applied for the job and can't spell.
>>
>>52797366
Nah, Reddit has moments of gold sometimes.
His stupidity and laziness is astounding though.
>>
>>52797342
How do they not know what resistance is?
>pdf is already open
>ctrl-F resistance, it's explained on chapter 9
>mash enter because I'm lazy
>explanation, as plain as day, in the fucking book
Didn't even take two minutes. Do they just say 'I wanna be a DM' and then not even so much as graze the book?
>>
How bad an idea is it to give players a free feat at 1?
>>
>>52797342
>mentions resistance and immunity in the same sentence
>doesn't know they're different words with different meanings
christ, the people they let DM games nowadays
>>
>>52797342
But you can literally just google that in 25 sec.
>>
>>52797342
>Look up "resistance DnD 5e"
>The third link clearly explains what resistance is

How?
>>
>>52797152
Noble who's 4th in line. Never got any respect or was able to participate in any training so he instead spent all his time hunting.

Once he came upon a Fey bathing in a lake who said he was destended to be the greatest dragon hunter the world would ever know. That he should leave his family to go adventure. She was only trying to trick him for fun however.

He knew she was full of it but oneday while being mocked by his family he declared he was going on a quest to slay a dragon and decided he would stand by it just to get away from them.

As he left the castle he realised how fucked he was and went back to the lake where he met the Fey. He asked her for help in actually hunting a dragon and she agreed to bless him because she thought it was entertaining.

Now he's joined a ragtag group of adventuring misfits while hoping to return to his family's castle one day and prove that he was the greatest of his siblings.

That's what I'm using for my Bladelock 3/ Ranger X.
>>
>>52797406
Not that bad if you're wanting a higher power level campaign.

There are definitely players that will try to use it to be gods at combat, but don't worry. If you're doing your job right combat shouldn't be the sole focus of the game anyway.
>>
File: the confusion.png (44KB, 714x492px) Image search: [Google]
the confusion.png
44KB, 714x492px
>>52797342
think I found the root of the problem
>>
>>52797406
Depends on the feat. Disallow Sharpshooter, Sentinel, GWM, etc. and nudge your characters towards more flavorful feats.
>>
Whats the newest edition of D&D that hasn't been ruined with SJW/faggot content?
>>
>>52797472
That assumes he's not a retard.
>>
>>52797479
To be honest, I don't think it hurts to let the players who want to do a shit ton of combat stuff shine in that area.
Just be sure to reward the players that didn't take those feats with good moments to RP and enjoy some non-combat stuff too.

The only time I can think of this really being a problem is if you're running out of a module. But if you're playing a homebrew campaign you can literally balance anything in any way you want. There's hardly fuck all a player can really do to "win" at d&d if you don't want them to. The problem I foresee is that they might outshine someone who doesn't understand the system as well if you've got a power gamer type player. If both of those players are looking to be powerhouse combat monsters, give them some tips so they don't get outshone by another player immediately.

If I were you I'd ask them to tell you what feat they're gonna pick and ask them why they picked that specifically for their character. What is it about their character that would make them good at that?
>>
What are some fun theurge concepts that dont feel gimped and are also fun to rp?

Essentially, what uncommonly picked deities have an interesting ethos, solid mechanics, and could reasonably be spun as a wiz vs. cleric?
>>
>>52797556
I'm going to play a level 10 Hobgobbo Wizard soon and I dunno what tradition to play, was thinking theurge

I was probably going to do War domain or Life domain, have him be an ex war mage from some warlord's army, maybe he's repented for his actions while in the Hobgob army and now worships some LG god or something
>>
>>52797517
Chainmail.
>>
>>52797556
Wee Jas, death deity that doesn't want to kill anyone but rather celebrates the act as a transition into a more pure existence.
>>
File: 6.jpg (52KB, 661x349px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
52KB, 661x349px
>>52797517
>>
I'm thinking of playing an explorer/botanist human that periodically takes or likes to take excursions into the jungle in search of rare/exotic plants.

Thinking of doing beastmaster ranger because I like the idea of him using a blowgun with special needles harvested from plants he grows. And also coating them with poison. Having him be a beast master makes sense because to be honest a blowgun is a pretty shit weapon, and his pet would be the real damage dealer. But I like it for the flavor.

The idea is that he came across this panther of his while out in the jungle. Perhaps saved it from a terrible fate, I'll write that shit later. But he's basically an explorer, chronicles new flora he comes across, and would eventually like to sell plants in the city as a florist during downtime.

Sound like fun? Any ideas on refining the concept? Thinking of taking variant human for druid magic initiate, and getting entangle once per day. As for ranger spells I'd take all the ones related to plants and poisons.
>>
>>52797556
Talos actually has an order of Wizards who worships him in the lore. They're a bunch of blasty Wizards who use his storms power to make their spells stronger. Talos's symbol is a staff which fits well with a Wizard. You don't even have to be an evil follower of him, as long as you cause destruction and have a love of blowing the shit out of things.

Tempest is also good for being able to max damage Lightning Bolts, getting reaction damage if you do get hit and being able to push people back 10ft with Shocking Grasp.
>>
>>52797556
O l l y D a m m a r a
>>
>>52797669
Well if you're taking Magic Initiate Druid, I'd ask if you can cast Magic Stone on Blowgun needles. If not ask to refluff a crossbow or something.
>>
File: tumblr_nm2xtb0tuO1qgnv8ro1_540.jpg (82KB, 540x699px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm2xtb0tuO1qgnv8ro1_540.jpg
82KB, 540x699px
Hey /5eg/, my buddy and I are joining a Princes of the Apocalypse game his friend is running. We're setting out to make siblings, possibly twins. Buddy's going to make a dragonborn paladin. Since I'm making the brother, I was thinking of Rogue or Cleric, or potentially even sorcerer or barbarian- though I don't want to trample on her 'niche', and I'm kind of leery of playing some prissy full-caster with no martial potential.

Any cool ways to make dragonborn/strength-based rogues?
Clerics? could a bard or sorcerer really use that +2 strength? Is bladelock totally worthless? Am I overlooking an obvious idea?

And what's cool themeing for a clan of dragonborn?
>>
>>52797120
Let's see...
- A cleric or paladin
- radiant damage
- utility caster and controller (sorcerer doesn't have enough spell known and he will probably go with blasty mcblast build)
- knowledge check
- insight check to help the face
- not sure if we have enough frontliner.. depend on the druid, I guess
>>
>>52797556
Boccob, :^)
>>
File: wee-jas.png (249KB, 400x448px) Image search: [Google]
wee-jas.png
249KB, 400x448px
>>52797629
This.
>>
New thread >>52798067
>>
>>52790571

Mercer's Gunslinger is in the Trove, right? If not, where can I find it?
>>
>>52797773
What is your obsession with knowledge checks?

You have FOUR knowledge checks. Arcana should be covered by the Sorcerer and Nature by the Druid.

Whats left is History and Religion OH WAIT FUCK GUESS WHAT CLERICS HAVE ACCESS TO BOTH. You don't need a +5 Int modifier to make them useful.

You don't need radiant damage other than just rounding things off. Same with Cleric or Paladin, but it seems like that's your direction.

If your Sorcerer isn't controlling at all then they're kinda stupid. They blast, sure... With cantrips mostly. They'll have a big AOE spell later like Fireball and maybe something after that, but that's mostly it. You'll get utility with Cleric. Your Druid can provide some control. A Paladin won't really provide any.

Lastly, Druids aren't really frontliners unless they're a bear. In fact, a lot depends on what their archetype is. If they're land, they're not gonna be in the front. If they're moon... They're not going to WANT to be in the front, but that's where they'll be.

Dude just go Tempest Cleric. That actually also gives you a little bit of control as well.
>>
>>52798106
You're allowed to get it for free

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170778/Gunslinger-Martial-Archetype-for-Fighters

He makes enough money off of Overwatch
>>
>>52797740
Valor bard, sing while in battle
>>
File: 1415909571182.jpg (73KB, 670x981px) Image search: [Google]
1415909571182.jpg
73KB, 670x981px
>>52798358
I'm looking at it. It's alright, though I don't like how you get EITHER an extra attack OR a spell and an attack at higher levels. Though to be honest I've been running a 5e game for six months and still feel like I don't have a grip on how it scales or should feel at higher levels.
>>
>>52798395
That ability's mostly there just so when you do cast a spell you can also get an attack in.

Think of it as you either attack or cast or cast a spell. Then at higher levels you get a free attack for casting.
>>
>>52798414
Alright. And there's no particular reason this isn't competitive? I've had a really awful time playing an Artificer in a Rise of Tiamat game, or whatever the level 1 start official campaign is. The opportunity to NOT be worthless in combat was why I was looking at rogue, for at least that guaranteed sneak attack/flanking work.

What are some good bard spells?
>>
>>52797517
Define: SJW content

Just stay away from Tieflings and Dragonborn and you'll weed out all the degenerate players.
>>
>>52798511
The amount of things bards can do in and out of combat make them far from useless. Personally it all depends on the type of build you're going for, when I run bard I look for cc with some utility for out of combat. A really good one to try and get is counter spell, also a healing spell here or there will definitely help.
>>
>>52798511
Oh, ew. Yeah RoT is one of the worst adventures and you were playing one of the worst classes, so this'll be better.

Heat Metal is basically "Kill anyone who wears metal", Dissonate Whispers triggers opportunity attacks the Paladin can smite on and Suggestion is as powerful as you can bullshit to your DM.

If you're going Valor Bard and get to 10 then there's some very good tricks. Take Swift Quiver from the Ranger and you can have 4 Attacks per round at level 10. The other option is Elemental Weapon from Paladin for +2d4 Damage on every attack.

I still need to find a game for Princes of the Apocalypse. I love Elemental themed adventures and I've heard good things.
>>
>>52798511
Also definitely grab heat metal when you can, be creative with it and it's really useful.
>>
>>52798577
Thank you for the help, friend. I'm actually beginning to feel this; I like the idea of both siblings being martials+cha casters.

Do you think it's worth going for strength-based, to put that +2 str to use, or should I just dump the 8 in Str and try to make him dex-based?
>>
>>52798624
Personally I'd lean Dex since it's really good, true not optimal but it'll make it so your more evened out. Also like said with swift quiver >>52798616 using finesse weapons and having ranged when necessary can make you really versatile.
>>
Is it just me, or does Str still kinda suck as a state?

Why is WotC so incapable of balancing Str properly? It seems unless your a Barbarian Dex does what Str does plus skills and initiative.
>>
>>52798799
Something something Wizards not martials something something meme.

Mostly people use strength when they aren't trying to 100% optimize so it's not that huge of a deal.
>>
>>52798799
GWM and higher AC without a feat. That feat that DEX users need to match your AC you can use on Alert to have higher Initiative then them.

Also if you actually use Encumbrance and have adventure situations that require Climbing, Running and Jumping then Strength users become a lot better.
>>
I've got a question, /tg/.
Our DM doesn't allow the use of any options outside of the PHB, including Unearthed Arcana or even Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
Is this considered too draconian in common circles? Or is this about normal?
>>
>>52798879
Draconian, it's not bad really but does he give a reason other then "It's going to be too OP"?
>>
>>52798890
He doesn't give any reason at all. Incidentally, he won't even allow multi-classing, which is getting to become a pain in the ass what with our only dedicated healer being an incompetant prick.
>>
>>52798899
Feats?

Honestly I allow anything except a handful of Multiclassed UA option and Mystic because it's a bitch to DM around. If I was to be banning more stuff I'd ban Multiclassing over UA any day, all broken ass combos come from Multiclassing.

One trick might be to just build horrendously powerful PHB characters and see if he bans them or throws a fit. I think Moon Druid Grappler with Spike Growth is pretty OP, you grapple then just drag them up and down the spikes. Also Diviner might make him have an stroke. Really just try some things to see what upsets him to try and figure it out.

Also ask why he doesn't allow official content that the AL can use. It could always be that he doesn't want to buy the books to keep track of it and giving him the .pdf's could change his mind.
>>
File: 1385780117975.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1385780117975.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>52798879
>Questioning your DM on an anonymous fursona convention meetup site

You have a lot of options in the PHB, even snowflake ones like Tiefling which should be banned

UA is literally beta testing unbalanced T R A S H and shouldn't be allowed at any table.

Sword Coast is official and none of the class options are particularly bullshit.

Multiclassing is generally taken for people trying to break the game, and the worst problem is players get shitty when you ask them to justify how they're multiclassing into Fighter/Druid or Paladin/Wizard.
>>
>>52798995
>Fighter/Druid
A Guard's son. His town was conquered by a rampaging Orc Horde, he was saved by local Druid who decided to take him on as an apprentice. He had some basic martial training and decided to teach himself swordplay against animals while also learning the ways of the Druids.

>Paladin/Wizard
He was a young soldier from Cormyr that swore an oath to protect the common-folk during the war and policed it single handed. After it ended the War Mages were taking on recruits from the most highly commended warriors who showed any magical promise to recover their losses. He was recommended and trained with them before being officially granted permission to adventure and protect Cormyr's interests.

I agree most multiclassing is bullshit but those aren't even strong combos and easily justifiable. Paladin/Warlock is the real horror.
>>
>>52798995
>Questioning your DM on an anonymous fursona convention meetup site
Normally I wouldn't, but I have very limited experience with 5th edition and it's the first time I've played with this particular GM, so I don't really have any other point of reference.

>Tieflings
can fuck off, I don't like 'em either

>Sword Coast is official and none of the class options are particularly bullshit
Thought so.

>Multiclassing is generally taken for people trying to break the game
Sometimes, but not all the time. I wouldn't usually consider multiclassing unless there was a massive gap in the party that needed to be filled without someone having to scrap their character.
>>
>>52799052
That's all well and good. But what about the level 5 Rogue that suddenly decides he wants to dip into Wizard when nothing in his backstory allows for it?
>>
>>52799130
Accumulated experience from getting into melees with horrible creatures far stronger than he is.

>>52799144
If he's an Arcane Trickster, sure. If not, the GM should veto it.
>>
>>52799130
He's spent 5 levels fighting monsters and realised that some real weapon and armour training would help him out. So he's been practising with anyone in the party who has the right proficiency to learn a bit more.

>>52799144
If I wanted to do that I would've personally decided beforehand and specifically spending time during rests reading books of magic I purchased and talking with spellcasters in the party about learning to use magic.

Maybe if I came across a Hedge Wizard or something I would ask if he had any tips for an apprentice spellcaster or books that might help.

If your players don't put in the effort to justify then you have every right to say no.
>>
>>52792886
Gary Gygax knew exactly why he didn't let people dual/multi in and out of Paladin: you're giving up on your commitment.
>>
What's the best software to use to make world maps?
I don't have a tablet so I cannot draw my own.
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.