[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5th Edition D&D General >Unearthed Arcana: Feats for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 391
Thread images: 39

5th Edition D&D General

>Unearthed Arcana: Feats for skills
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52757921

Thread topic: Despite it being pretty cool and (understatedly) good, is anyone else getting kind of tired of Polearm + Sentinal being the meta on every character that relies on melee?
(Im about to pick it up myself to combo it with warcaster and booming blade, which my DM is allowing.)
>>
File: Drink the Pain Away.png (38KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
Drink the Pain Away.png
38KB, 175x175px
>>52764184
I'm kinda sick of how much martial characters NEED feats to be good in general. Something the recent UA did absolutely NOTHING to address, unfortunately.

>"Here's all these cool things you'll never use because they're fluff weighed directly against mechanical advantages you actually NEED like combat feats and ASIs."
>>
>>52764228
the new feats are op anyways id never allow them
>>
>>52764193
I'm all kinds of jealous.

I'm thinking about trying out 5e but the players I'm usually with can't even answer basic questions. What's the minimum amount of players you guys have had and still had fun with it?
>>
How do you guys go about speeding up combat? I ran a goblin ambush against level 5 players tonight just to set the scene, show the area was dangerous, and introduce an npc, and it still took an hour (10 gobbos). I want to give them flavor and description but at the same time I feel like combat can get drawn out so much sometimes.
>>
>>52764184
I dunno.
I always end up just taking GWM, and I never really take PAM.
>playing into a "meta"
>in a ttrpg
In all seriousness, I don't think melee characters really need feats, they're just really nice to have.
>>
>>52764228
Nigga what? Martials are fine as is. This is a game where the big monsters rarely have more than 120 HP. Extra attacks are enough for that.
>>
File: 1465983318980.jpg (62KB, 369x319px) Image search: [Google]
1465983318980.jpg
62KB, 369x319px
>>52764184
Played only martials and never bothered using it even though it is pretty strong. Debated running it on the barbarianI want to play next but I'll probably go with greatsword because I like the mental image of it. mostly because of this fucker
>>
File: adeptus mechanus.png (169KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
adeptus mechanus.png
169KB, 512x512px
>>52764237
OP? Lol, 7/10 of them are things you should already be able to do with Proficiency in the skill.

You shouldn't need a feat to use a skill you know how to use in a cool way.
>>
Anybody wanna give me an opinion on a build?

Right now I have 9 levels in the UA ranger (darkstalker). I have the Skulker feat and 20 Dex already. I think the game will last to level 20, so I ideally want to get 17 levels in ranger (swift quiver) and 3 in another class. I'm thinking of fighter.

Should I go 3 levels in fighter now to get the Battlemaster stuff? Or wait until level 12 (to get sharpshooter) then go for the 3 levels in Fighter? Action Surge is a huge buff to first turn damage, but sharpshooter is also a huge buff to first turn damage.
>>
>>52764271
Without feats casters do more damage than martials so... they are kind of needed so that they have at least one thing in which they shine.
>>
reposting,

give me a good, blaster-y awakened mystic build or if my suspicion of awakened being shit, anything that would work in its stead.
>>
>>52764184
I dislike that you need cantrips to be a decent melee rogue
>>
>>52764260
Yeah, I am only just starting to dm so it feels like I got my wings tonight. Running SKT and I poured a lot into customizing things for them. It's awesome to see them enjoying it as much as I enjoy creating the experience and presenting it to them. I run with 4, I feel like any less than 3-4 would be difficult.
>>
>>52764151

What if it's more than a 1-2-3 dip, though?

I honestly just like the idea of a holy knight constantly shitting out rays of purifying light and being a literal shining beacon.
>>
File: 2.jpg (76KB, 794x566px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
76KB, 794x566px
>>52764267
My dm really loves to lay on the descriptions during fights too. He unfortunately isnt very articulate or good at it, but it doesnt take away from the game or draw things out too much longer than needed. We like to get descriptive with our actions and attempted attacs pre and post roll too.

That said, one time we were running REALLY late and ditched all description that wasnt the room around us. We got through several combats and a boss battle in an hour that would have taken us an entire day otherwise, and everyone but the DM agreed it was an absolute blast to blast through the game like that. Very seat of the pants, required a lot of quick thinking, felt engaging as hell.

There's got to be a good medium somewhere...
>>
>>52764286
At that point, just continue on ranger. The utility spells give are better than battlemaster dice, although Menacing Attack is a great maneuver.
>>
>>52764286
>multiclassing UA
>>
>>52764267
Try and plan your own moves ahead of time and if you really want lump groups of goblins together. They all roll one attack and it's hit or miss and then each does its own damage.

Also try and cut down on the "uhhh um I'm gonna uhh what should I do guys?" In the party ask people to try and plan ahead and have their move and attack ready. Make it known that you'll give each person ten seconds then it's either do something or loose your turn.
>>
>>52764285
are you retarded?

these feats are 10x better than most of the +1 ability score feats in the PHB

that makes them op
>>
>>52764302
Like what can trips specifically
Maybe mage hand, but what else?
>>
File: 1476655407728.png (47KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
1476655407728.png
47KB, 600x330px
>>52764277
>Martials are fine as is...
>>
>>52764184
When the 5e thread pic is actually from Pathfinder.
>>
>>52764348
Booming blade or green-flame blade
>>
>>52764344
They're still worse than just taking a +2 in a stat instead.

Not counting the ones that give you some free spells and such, they're still mostly giving you shit that you should ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO IF YOU'RE PROFICIENT IN THE SKILL.
>>
Are Dragonborn the weakest PHB race? I was thinking of making them +2 STR, +1 CON and adding a Natural Claw attack for my setting's tough guy race.
>>
>>52764358
If it stays the fuck away from anime and fur bullshit I'd let it slide since it's halfway decent.
>>
>>52764342

I don't really get this. Yeah, some combos with UA might be a little too strong, but not all of them, surely? Can Revised Rangers never multiclass because they're UA?
>>
>>52764302
Melee rogues played fine for the literal year and a half before SCAG came out, and still play fine without those cantrips.
>>
>>52764374
Are you baiting right now? Most people throw autistic fits over Dragonborn so why the fuck would you ask here for starters. Also why buff them they get a free breath weapon for hitting crowds.
>>
Dumb question. I'm having an one-off DM session in a month or so; I'm usually just a player but our group's DM isn't going to be there and I wanted to host a small quest for that night.

I'm a bit worried about loot though. Our group is mostly run on pre-made adventures and the loot at the end of the major quests is always rolled from the table but I don't want to step on any toes by giving away shit that wouldn't normally fly in our main sessions; however, I don't just want to give out gold and healing potions.

Would giving out some +1 ammo, Lv1-2 scrolls, uncommon potions and non-coin loot be decent for a group of 5 Lv 6 PCs? Total EXP for the quest is going to be ~5,500 EXP.
>>
>>52764396
Revised ranger is a special exception, but that's only if you use the revised ranger and standard archetypes. They specifically say not multiclass UA because it is test material and needs balance to not create broken builds like nuclear druid.
>>
>>52764396
UA isnt balanced with other classes in mind. It's just ideas for people to test, that might be tweaked and published later. Some of it would be fine, just make sure your dm is ok with it
>>
>>52764426
How about ask your DM you fucking idiot, if it's gonna make its way back into his game then you clear it with him.
>>
>>52764302
You don't need them, you do better with them.

Ranged works better for everything except Swashbuckler who actually does decent at Range as well, but melee has the exact same damage.

>>52764406
Occasionally there's someone here who doesn't freak the fuck out about something other Human, Dwarf, Elf and Orc.

Also the full list of their abilities are resistance to a damage and a nearly decent Breath weapon. I figure at least giving them better stats for anything but a Paladin and a Natural Attack would be small enough to not unbalance anything.

Maybe I should've just asked what's a good die size for a Strong races Natural Attack but it's a bit late.
>>
>>52764374
easily, followed closely by gnomes. dragonborn literally only perform optimally as paladin and even at that they are vastly outclassed by other races as charisma classes and martial ones.
>>
>>52764478
At least Gnomes make good Wizards and magic resist is awesome.

Plus if you get the feat as a Svirfneblin then you become pretty fucking good as an Arcane Trickster or Abjurer.
>>
>>52764472
That's the thing though they trade that boost for the breath weapon and resistance, personally I wouldn't change anything but if you really want I could see a 1d4 claw attack as a bonus action not being terrible.

Also you are correct but at this hour it's normally nothing but shit posting so I try to make sure before trying to have a discussion.
>>
>>52764452

His words were 'I don't give a shit." It's not much to go on because he obviously does give a couple fucks but probably not a lot of fucks.
>>
>>52764184
Is Animal Handler from this weeks UA a viable fix for Beastmaster ranger?

Assume that Revised Ranger is not an option because my dm wont let me use a giant wolf spider with it because the poison damage far exceeds the damage output of the other beast options despite it being allowed in core beastmaster for some reason.

Hardmode: Dont answer this post with "use revised ranger" or "find a new dm" anyway.
>>
>>52764340
>>52764343
Yeah, agreed. I feel like everyone moves at a reasonable pace, it's just all the little micro-stops that add up and slow it down. I feel like I can't have more than like 2 encounters a night since we play weekly for 3 hours. Otherwise it's nothing but combat. I'm worried because an upcoming session for me is going to be a huge raid (SKT, Goldenfields, going to try to make it feel very LOTR with fire coming over the walls and mass panic and stuff), and I'm scared we won't be able to make it through it all in one night.
>>
>>52764516
Well then I'd literally roll from the loot table in the DMG and what every shakes out is what they get.

Still run what you roll by him just in case, I've seen alot of DMs one shot for a friend then everything goes to hell because he gave out loot like candy.
>>
>>52764374
They should have darkvision just like everything else
>>
>>52764366
Are those UA? My party doesn't use it.
>>
What do when your party doesnt pick up any aoe. Running encounters with tons of enemies to modify difficulty is a pain.
>>
>>52764538
Well the main thing you could do is set goals, or break up the action. The party doesn't get to rest but they repel x number of attacks or what ever and you pause for the night even if you have extra time.

Try leaving them in suspense if you have to, it'd be nice to get through it all in one night but if you have to try and piece it so it keeps them wondering about what's going to happen next game.
>>
>>52764550
SCAG
>>
>>52764504
The main issue I see is a Tiefling with the option that gives them Burning Hands does it better. Resistance, a Cone attack, a Cantrip, Darkvision and a spell at 5th level.

They even let you take +2 DEX or CHA and +1 INT or +1 CON. It's just plain better at everything but wearing Heavy Armour.

Even Fire Genasi does it better.
>>
>>52764550
Published material (SCAG)
>>
>>52764555
If they aren't using the tools provided that is there problem, I try to balance a bit for what my PCs normally run but if a group would use pack tactics then that is what they are using.
>>
>>52764531
Just don't play beastmaster if your DM is going to remove the UA option.
If you can use the UA, but don't want to because you want the spider, then deal with it and find something else.

Base beast master is just straight up garbage. Don't use it.

No, really, just don't.
>>
>>52764550
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide supplement book. Should be in the op, or you can google it. they're pretty good options for any arcane melee character.
>>
>>52764541

I know, seen it happen before as well. I was thinking of having everyone make a new character for this but we really only see each other on game night and I didn't want 5 of the same character to show up but I also didn't want to spend the hour building characters at the beginning either.
>>
Any tips to convert some of my friends to DMing? I never get to play. There is one guy in the group who seems interested in it but I guess he is too nervous or too lazy to actually try it. He keeps saying he wants to make his own campaign and I keep offering to help him but I guess he doesn't want to put the work in to actually do it or something. What can I do to get some people more interested in trying to DM?
>>
>>52764575
I agree but they also thought Yuan-Ti was perfectly fine and I told people don't bring that to my table.

My guess is they expect DMs to have the world be more difficult to that PC with either disadvantage when talking to certain groups or possibly people wanting to randomly attack them. They made a class and set the lore assuming everyone would follow it but most I know don't care, yeah you get odd looks but nothing beyond that.
>>
>>52764617
Does that one guy know that players will show up? Only time I ever tried DMing I couldn't get enough players because the people I played with weren't interested in running two games at once.
>>
>>52764617
Unfortunately they are either interested or they aren't. I played two campaigns for a bit and both fizzled then I picked up DMing and we're up to level 11. It takes someone who really wants to DM and can keep the players interested in the plot.

It's a challenge at times and some people just don't want to put that much work into a game.
>>
>>52764341
So 20 levels in Ranger?

The only thing from the last 3 levels from Ranger are:
Feral Senses (limited use as an archer)
1 ASI
1 more 5th level slot
+4 to an attack/damage roll

Battlemaster gives me:
+1 to AC
Second Wind
Action Surge
3 Maneuvers (Menacing, Precision, Trip?)

The ASI is nice, but I probably will only use Swift Quiver once. +4 to attack/damage is similar to a d8 from Precision or Menacing. Action Surge synergies super well with the UA rangers first turn + Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52764635
That's actually a good point. In lore Tieflings should be treated much worse then they are but most people hand wave it, whereas Dragonborn are probably treated with something closer to fear or awe.

Maybe keep them the way they are, scale the breath weapon down 1 die at each level (1d6, 2d6 and etc.), then make it usable CON modifier times per long rest? It does use up there action and they can't start with it more then 2 times per rest.

The other idea would be making it a Die pool equal to CON modifier that you can spend dice from to use. Maybe add +1 at 6, 11 and 17. So they can split it throughout the day.
>>
>>52764737
>Maybe keep them the way they are, scale the breath weapon down 1 die at each level (1d6, 2d6 and etc.), then make it usable CON modifier times per long rest? It does use up there action and they can't start with it more then 2 times per rest.

Now this is an idea I can get behind, it's a little simpler than the next idea which is what 5e tries to thrive on. However if your players can handle then the other one doesn't sound bad.

Also if sticking with the con then still giving a 1d4 claw bonus action attack isn't gonna kill anything. Gives them some more options, especially if they play a martial, while doing what you want.
>>
>>52764818
Alright sweet. I'm leaning towards the Die option because I like the idea of being able to have pool of energy to expend.

While I'm at it is Human, Dwarf, Elf, Goblin, Dragonborn, Aasimar, Firbolg and Tabaxi missing any racial gaps? I didn't particularly want Goblins but I thought I needed a smaller race and couldn't think of anything good to do with Halflings.
>>
>>52764184
>Brawny Goliath meme
Time to carry my horses and use them as nunchucks.
>>
Is there any way to get an extra attack as a mystic?
>>
>>52764961
yes. Multiclass.
>>
>>52764992
I'm not the fag who makes a point to say no Multiclassing UA, but there's literally no rules that would allow Mystic or Artificer to do it.

They have no prerequisites table saying what you need to hop in and out of them which means by doing that it's literally homebrew. Even if it is obvious what they would be.

I don't give a shit about Deepstalker/Knights, Protection Cleric/War Mage or whatever. Mystic is currently incapable of multiclass though.
>>
>>52764184
Of the new feats everything besides Menacing ,Medic and Brawny is shit.
>>
>>52764992
That's not an option
>>
>>52765043
Diplomat seems nice
>>
So I'm in a West Marches-style campaign - Man vs. The Wild themes, little civilization beyond what you bring in. I'm planning to do a Monster Slayer Ranger, using a hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert. Basic character premise is that he's compiling a bestiary of the dangerous creatures to inhabit the wilderness.

I could use a little advice, but note first: the DM has implemented several notable houserules. Short Rests are 8 hours, while Long Rests are 3 days. He's also using a Wounds/Vigor system (large vigor pool before small wounds pool) and incorporating injuries sustained when taking damage in your Wounds threshold. With those two bits of knowledge in mind, Medicine is going to be a relevant skill to treat the lesser injuries and maximize downtime healing in order to conserve precious spell slots.

Hunter's Mark is an obvious pickup, but I'm not sure what else to grab for spells. I don't actually much like the whole magic element of Rangers, so I'd prefer to go for more subtle ones if possible. I'll already have Protection from Good/Evil via Monster Slayer. Goodberry seems like a decent choice to supplement between-combat healing.

Also, the DM decided to just let us make custom backgrounds from 2 skill proficiencies, 2 tool proficiencies and the feature/items from extant backgrounds. I grabbed the Outlander feature, since coupled with Nature Explorer I'll be able to reliably forage for a dozen people. Also picked up Herbalism/Fletching since we don't have anywhere to go shopping for healing potions or ammunition. There's an abandoned settlement we'll be trying to slowly colonize over the course of the game, but until that gets up and running we're on our own.
>>
>>52765043
Menacing, Stealthy and Silver Tongued are all good. Menacing and Silver Tongued are good on Fighters or Dual-Wield Rogues. Stealthy solves an issue Assassins had with being unable to attack from hiding without being spotted.

Brawny is shit and going to lead to "lol I'm a Goliath wrestler" and Medic is decent but I think I'd rather Healer unless I need that +1 WIS.
>>
>>52765043
I think people are quite underestimating Historian, on a Mastermind they can give people advantage and +Proficiency on any ability check in and out of combat and advantage on any attack within 30ft. They're basically a no magic Bard who can make any out of combat check near impossible to fail.

I think I'm going to try one next.
>>
>>52765087
Hunter's Mark is actually a poor pick since your Bonus Actions will already be competing between Xbow Expert's attack and Slayer's Eye (the attack is better than either).

Since you already dislike magic, consider playing a Rogue.
>>
>>52765174

I'm sorely tempted to, actually - possibly the UA Scout Rogue - but Slayer's Eye seemed fantastically useful for determining the nature of what are likely to be unfamiliar and esoteric beasties.

In the event Rogue is the call, any recommendations?
>>
>>52764961
The speed discipline from order of the immortal costs 5 points though.
>>
File: SovereignHost.jpg (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
SovereignHost.jpg
37KB, 400x400px
So, what powers would a cleric pledged to a whole pantheon instead of a single deity have?
>>
>>52765218
Any proper domain, it's just a matter of what parts you focus on. Most clerics of the Sovereign Host are dedicated to the entire thing anyway.
>>
>>52765218
One domain he's focused on or the domain of the temple he was taught at.

Knowledge cleric for the fluff.
>>
>>52765218
I'd say Life, Knowledge or Light depending on what type of Pantheon it is.
>>
>>52765214
Damn, that would eat through psi like nothing else.

I was thinking about a mystic grappler with the new brawny features since they'd get;
Advantage on athletic rolls with plus 5 and double proficiency
Huge size type
2d6 + 1d8 (once per turn) unarmed damage
+10ft range on who you can grab per turn
30 temp home with an extra 1-5 per turn

I just don't think it'd be viable without the extra attack. Hopefully once they're published they don't get needed too hard, because dipping into fighter would end all their problems.
>>
So can a Rogue with the Silver Tongue feat Attack, substitute the attack for the Deception roll part, make an dual wield attack with Advantage, run away and then return next round for two more Advantage attacks?
>>
Last session story time post yours you munchkin fucks

>party takes on bounty to investigate a small town that went quiet, nobody in or out in months and no contact at all. Everyone who had went to the town never returned
>party travels, small encounter with some hobgobbos (setting up for the hobgoblin legions to invade the country soon), makes it to the marshlike swampy area that leads to the town
>shit starts to get weird, party has nightmares and begin losing max hp at night, begin to get exhausted
>always before this would happen, whatever awake pcs would begin to see figures and shapes just out their peripherials
>party makes it to town and begins investigating, shit is weird, public hangings and creepy innkeeps the works
>eventually party begin to realize that the townsfolk dont eat, sleep, and just stand around their houses and such all day every day, food in town is tasteless, etc
>party is all down on max HP at this point, they're looking rough
>One PC disappears after failing a save, finds himself in the toen without any of his companions
>this party member is convinced his pet dog has turned evil or been replaced, murders his dog
>dog disappears, no blood or anything
>dog reappears in the town with the rest of the party
>party shits brix, one commits sodoku and disappears
>party all off themselves/ each other and wake up to find themselves in the middle of the marsh, exhausted and starving and thirsty and filthy
>realize that the whole town was an illusion, begin to head to where they think the town is, and are attacked by a shambling mound
>after a tough fight, the party needs to rest. Several pcs succumb to the illusion and find themselves back in the town
>this time the townsfolk are rabid and feral, large battle ensues before party realizes they need to die
>back in the real world, party makes it to the town, which looks like a much younger and newer version of the illusion town

then they murdered the innkeep on accident and surrendered to the town
>>
Who Oath of Batman here?
>>
Does a Trickery Cleric's Illusion count as Half-Cover? What about as an ally for Sneak Attack?
>>
>>52764184
As someone who loves martials, PAM makes me fucking upset. IT should go right into the fucking trash with all the pissants taking it trying to be hip and cool with something everyone knows about.
I'm not saying PAM cannot be a legitimate choice for a character, but with how often that's not the case, I'm usually wary of anyone taking it.
>>
>>52765420
>When you took PAM before it was cool on a Ranger X/ Druid 1

It was so much fun putting out 3-4 Attacks per turn for 1d8+WIS at level 5.
>>
>>52765420
Martials are underpowered, no use getting mad at people for taking the thing that they think is going to help them keep up with casters. It won't.
>>
Just curious here, how much does your players talk between each other during fights? Just OOC stuff like general tactics, suggestions and battle plans like that. I just DM'd through three sessions of a large scale fight over Roll20 and it was dead silence between them all the time and alot of "I don't know what to do" moments. Would encouraging the players to learn about the characters strength/weakness help out here so they can discuss stuff amongst each other instead of me as DM line up all the choices for current player to pick?
>>
Is it worth to take Magic Initiate or a dip into Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard for Booming Blade on a Nature Cleric? I have a passion for rolling as many of the same damage die as I can.
>>
>>52765341
No, you wouldn't trigger TWF.
>>
>>52765497
Missed that you actually had to make the attack with TWF, not just make the attack action.
>>
W-what's wrong with martial?
Did I fuck up with my greatweapon focus?
>>
>>52765416
Yes. Pretty sure normal illusion count as cover too.
Not clear for sneak attack. I guess you could get it off if the enemy still think illusion is a threat (sneak attack require "enemy" of the target)
>>
>>52765469
I run a sandbox-esque game, and I notice the players often have IC discussions, even when they are not necessary. They discuss things such as what to do next, what their capabilities and skills are, and sometimes even notable enemies and what they can do. Most recently, they decided completely IC to go and free a random slave, despite it offering little benefit. It made me smile to see the party so-well connected.

As a player, both parties I am in are amazingly talkative IC. In one game, we practically have war meetings IC before each planned combat (helps that the entire party is apart of the same military). In my other game, I've noticed everyone (including myself) is interested in everyone else's backstories, and we've been slowly uncovering everyone's own story throughout the campaign all IC. It's quite a treat to be in such parties.
>>
>>52765510
What can you do other than damage? What kind of narrative changing power do you have?
>>
>>52765540
>who is Heracles
>>
>>52765485
At higher levels, I would recommend either going for the Magic Initiate (Wizard) feat or even a two level Wizard dip, as after level 12, Booming Blade catches up nicely to martial damage. Picking up Find Familiar would also be a nice thing to do along the way for the Help action.

At lower levels, I am less certain, since you would be sacrificing stat-increases. If that is of no concern to you, then go on ahead and follow the above advice.
>>
>>52765553
An immortal mystic.
>>
>>52765510
No, ignore the "muh caster supremacy" autists
>>
>>52765557
Was thinking I'd go human for Magic Initiate. Getting that much damage on an attack is nice when I don't need anything but WIS and the always Advantage should be good. I guess I'll take Minor Illusion for my second one.
>>
The help action only has a 5ft limit when used to assist Attacks right? It never gives one for ability checks.
>>
I'm new to D&D and I'm considering watching Critical Role. Role playing is still a bit awkward for me so I'm thinking watching a series like this will help me. I've been told that episode 1 is actual about 100 sessions late? Is there a video that someone can link that catches you up to speed?
>>
>>52765535
I see,that does make some sense to me and youre building up excitement that way too. With my group, the players get along really well but it feels they dont know much about the characters capabilities, making it feel (for me atleast) that every fight is every man for himself with no communication except occasional heal when needed
>>
>>52765561
Oh so it's like 3e where melee isn't bad its just that casters are that fucking good
>>
>>52765599
They lessen the disparity quite a bit. Being able to concentrate only on 1 spell mean you don't have a flying haste invisible displacement wizard shooting up lightning bolt everywhere while summoning 100s minions.
>>
>>52765599
Weapon based fighting in general is pretty good as long as feats are involved, it's just that it's quite limited what you can achieve with it, which gets more pronounced as the levels go on.

Also, skills aren't really reliable (unless you are a rogue). and have a hard cap on their effectiveness.

Fighter goes from having a hammer to having a really big hammer, wizard goes from having a screwdriver to having a swiss army knife, that also has a number of hammers in it.
>>
Can someone sell me on Chainlocks? I like the idea but they don't seem that great/
>>
>>52765599
Melee is good, it's actually better than casting... in combat.

This is the problem though.
Even though melee is good in combat, casters still have half a dozen ways to solve encounters without getting into combat in the first place. Every spell a caster gets is a new tool they can use out of combat to solve problems in a new way. Melee characters... well... they can hit stuff with a piece of metal.
>>
>>52765635
They don't scale. But having an invisible, flying, intelligent familiar with an actual strength score is ridiculously good for all sorts of out of combat utility at low levels.
>>
>>52765635
Magic resistance.
Invisible familiar.
Smugposting.
Shillaeghlaegh is a meme.
>>
>>52765686
>Magic resistance
It's still a shame they made that awesome note in the monster manual about their masters getting it, then said nope.

Also if not this I plan to go Fey Bowlock.
>>
>>52765693
They faq'd that?
>>
>>52765709
Yep. Apparently you only get the Magic Resistance from Imps that are independent. Not ones bound to you.

So only one that likes you enough to become a Familiar rather then one you summon.
>>
File: 1376158045965.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1376158045965.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>Players invade a Dragon's lair
>Find an entire Arcane Demonic Library
>Find a captured Mage translating it for the Dragons use
>Mage warns players that Dragon likes to play with its food
>Warns players that Dragon is aware they are already there and has eaten every hero that has dared enter his lair
>Lair has themes such as mist, fog and poor visibility
>They decide to try and steal his treasure to bait him into fighting outside
>Go into his Santcum, pitch black, full of mist and fog
>I tell them they see a Dragon sized shadow clinging to the wall 100ft away
>A booming voice comes from that direction laughing at them
>They unleash everything they have at this shadow, including their Dragon Slaying Arrow
>lol jks it was just an illusion did you not get the point the Dragon uses magic and trickery?
>>
>>52765729
>no honourable warriors/paladins to step forth and challenge the shadow directly, eventually demanding the dragon show itself.
>>
>When your DM allows Dragon Sorcerers to ignore the level 6 nerf and use spellpoints.

Level 9 and casting super Scorching Rays with Greater Invisibility. Actually feel like one of the strongest members of the party. I love it.
>>
File: What Am I Reading.gif (1MB, 430x360px) Image search: [Google]
What Am I Reading.gif
1MB, 430x360px
>>52765771
How exactly do Draconic Sorcerers get nerfed upon hitting 6?
>>
>>52765589
Anyone?
>>
>>52765783
The PHB Eratta made it so only one damage roll can have the CHA mod applied to it.
Big nerf to stuff like meteors and rays
>>
>>52765589
Doesn't exist. I recommend you watch something like High Rollers, where they start from the beginning, instead.
>>
>>52765821
What?

Please tell me evocation wizards got the same nerf at least.
>>
>>52765821
I kinda assumed that how it was supposed to work originally, in order to avoid more "nuclear druid" magic-missile exploits. Most DMs I've ever played with only allow bonuses like the the sorcerer's and evocation wizard's to apply once per casting.
>>
>>52765830
They did.
>>
>>52765830

>Wizards
>Getting nerfed
>>
>>52765848
Good, at least their strictly better feature is still within acceptably strictly better.
>>
>>52765825
Critical Role is really popular for a reason right? Is it really that bad not starting from the beginning?
>>
>>52765830
Yeah but theirs still works with Magic Missile.
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>52765830
>Wizards
>Winning encounters through damage like some kind of sorcerer peasants
>>
File: smug 12.jpg (43KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
smug 12.jpg
43KB, 690x388px
>>52765830
>Sorcerers shouldn't be inferior to wizards
>>
>>52765863
It's ok. It has major issues at times, but Travis/Grog is god damned amazing always, and Sam/Taryon/Scanlan has his moments. Tiberius is to be avoided, and Marisha/Keyleth is the opitome of autistic GMGF.
>>
File: What the fuuuuck.jpg (95KB, 909x839px) Image search: [Google]
What the fuuuuck.jpg
95KB, 909x839px
>>52765892
Except they are in almost every respect. A wizard can PREPARE more spells than a sorcerer can LEARN, and Arcane Traditions are usually alot better than Sorcerous Origin features. Also the Sorcerer spell list is just the Wizard spell list with all the rituals and good stuff torn out, Sorcerers don't even have an spells unique to their class.

Sorcerer exists as multi-class bait because it's a Charisma-caster. It sucks for ANYTHING else.
>>
>>52765912
I'm sorry, are the characters you are referring to from Critical Role or High Rollers?
>>
I actually hope martials will have more abilities outside combat. It gets boring having to restrain my druid in a party full of martials, magic+wildshape can solve 80% of problems without fighting
>>
>>52765924
W-we've got Chaos Bolt now you Wizz-ard!

Honestly I just like the dragon fluff and if anything else could do it I'd play that.
>>
>>52765927
I was referring to the Players/Characters from Critical Role. I can't remember the guy who plays Tiberius's namebecause hes gone.

Taliesin/Percy starts bleh, but gets better, Liam/Vax is an edgelord, at first he seemed like the best RPer, but he constantly looks for melodrama, and Laura/Vex starts having next to no character but does much better when she starts playing off of the party more, and Liam less.

Ashley/Pike a cute, and seems like she'd be fun to play with, but she's absent most of the time because shes on Blindspot.
>>
>>52765912
>>52765927
I looked it up, you're talking about Critical Role. Sorry for wasting your time but I have 2 more questions if at all possible. How does High Rollers compare to Critical Role? Do you think one is better than the other or about even? The other question, what does GMGF stand for?
>>
File: laff.gif (202KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
laff.gif
202KB, 500x284px
>>52765948
>Chaos Bolt
>Literally worse damage scaling than Chromatic Orb
>No ability to choose the elemental damage it does to exploit weaknesses or avoid resistances (Chromatic Orb can do this)
>Only has a 1 in 8 chance to maybe hit another target when you could have just twinned Chromatic Orb anyway

Yeah, I'm sure the Wizards are sooo jealous.
>>
>>52765971
Yeah it's the shittiest spell in the world.

They should make it 2d10 and scales as a d10. If any are doubles then it bounces. Makes a high level one fairly strong and able to bounce well.
>>
File: Dissapoint intensifies.jpg (143KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Dissapoint intensifies.jpg
143KB, 1200x675px
>>52765948
Chaos Bolt is a level 1 spell that is literally worse than the Firebolt CANTRIP for approx 7 out of 8 times you cast it.
>>
>>52765961
Never watched High Rollers, so can't be of help on that one. GMGF/DMGF, game/dungeon masters girl friend. It's not as bad as some i've seen, but she very clearly gets some extra story focus thrown her way, and gets away with using her spells in entirely wrong ways more frequently than she otherwise would.

Personally, my other recommendation for a 5e game to enjoy would be The Adventure Zone. It's really loose with the rules, but it's pretty much the opposite of critical role in terms of tone, and feels much more like a random home game.
>>
>>52764872
>needed a small race
>goblins or halfings
not gnomes?
>>
>>52765983
Hell, make it 2d12, that way it's more swingy and "wild", but with the same max and a lower average. The Greataxe of level 1 spells.
>>
>>52765999
Gnomes are the fucking worst, I applaud that anon for excluding them
>>
>>52766023
Svirfneblin are pretty cool guys.
>>
>>52765985
Of the 3 shows I'm looking for the one that helps me with most with role playing but is also entertaining. Either way I'll to figure it out, thanks.
>>
>>52766038
Svirfneblin Abjurers are one of the easiest RAW ways to be awesome and nearly broken. Plus the race is cool.

Magic Resist from level 1 and a Ward you can recharge for free at level 4? Yes please.
>>
Do monsters even get feats?
>>
>>52766055
No, why would they. Monsters and NPCs don't need to fit into the class structure. If you want them to have shield master, just give them the benefits, they don't need a "feat" for it.
>>
Any good ideas/references for a tavern that's been more-or-less reality warped by a perception warping macguffin?
>>
>>52765720
In errata or somewhere else?
>>
>>52764237
>Oh NO how DARE anyone but a bard or rogue or knowledge cleric (...or artificer or whatever other class archetypes I'm pretty sure exist that gives you expertise) get expertise! This is COMPLETELY gamebreaking! This is terrible! Expertise in one skill you already have proficiency in as a half-feat, the world is doomed!
>>
>>52766083
That's going to a massive statblock if that's the case.
>>
>>52766097
Gaining resistance from them is a variant rule to begin with, it doesn't need errata.
>>
>>52766088
Has an infinite amount of corners shrouded in darkness for the adventurers to meet prospective employers in.

Most of those are just conjurations of the macguffin, sending the adventurers on missions that benefit its own agenda (which are sometimes just wild goose chases or suicide missions to remove clienté that tip badly and disrespect the staff).
>>
I want to make a new class for this new campaign, whats a "powergamey" class/race/spells/feats combination that does above average in combat but isn't doesn't make it look painfully obvious what I'm trying to do.
>>
>>52765771
>You know how we can fix sorcerers? Making them do MORE damage!
That's like trying to fix fighter by making the fighter deal more damage.

The problem sorcerer has isn't that they aren't strong enough, but that they don't have enough abilities otherwise to keep going. It'd be more justified to give them arcane recovery than telling them all to go fire dragon sorcerer and upcast scorching ray all day and use spells that do fire damage again and again and again like create bonfire or fire shield.
>>
>>52766109
I don't see how. Monsters and NPCs already list out individual class features they mimic, it's the same thing.
>>
>>52765924
>Multi-class bait

Paladin-sorcerer is good, warlock-sorcerer is fucking great.

Honestly Fighter2/Warlock2/SorcererX is probably one of the strongest things.
>>
>>52766102
you are retarded

compare these feats to any other feat in the PHB that gives a stat boost

the UA ones are better across the board and thats with some of the +1 to a stat feats being already pretty solid
>>
>>52765586
Correct, but how close you need be to Help with an ability check is up to the DM.

For example, another character pulling on a rope to help another character climb I would be OK with at a distance.

Helping another character pick a lock, lift a load, perform a medicine check etc I would want to be close by
>>
>>52766023
Flavor wise, what are halflings. They are literally little humans, basically nothing else going for them.
>>
>>52766120
Cleric1/WizardX
Much higher AC, you can get something like knowledge cleric for expertise in intelligence skills, you can cast heals or whatever if you really have to to get teammates off the floor, you get +2 HP.
Though overall it's not great because you're super good at combat, but because you have a good range of utility.

If you want just pure combat capability, paladin is great. Oathbreaker PAM paladin is the highest DPR in the game and can burst really hard, too.

Also consider paladin(2/6/7/11)-sorcerer, bard6-paladin, warlock3-paladin, warlock(2/5)-sorcerer (Though you wouldn't be able to easily get away with fighter2/warlock2/sorcerer without looking extremely suspicious), barbarian5-rogue, monk(5/6)-rogue, if you want just pure combat then fighter with CBE and sharpshooter or PAM and GWM and snetinel...
>>
>>52766156
But with these feats I can have proficiency in all 18 skills. Or I can have proficiency in 14 skills with 13 of them having expertise.
>>
>>52766165
Just wondering for my new Mastermind Historian feat build so I can make people never fail an out of combat ability check. Thanks.
>>
>>52766156
>Compare to resilient
You can get +Proficiency to con saves and +1 to con, which none of those feats give, and +proficiency to con saves is likely more important than, what, expertise in history?
+Proficiency to dex saves is pretty damn good too. +proficiency to stealth is good but that matters most to characters like rogues who already get expertise or maybe monks who can't really afford to lose +1 on dex because of stupid shit like that.

>Compare to some of the shittier ones
Yes, shit feats exist, deal with it.
>Compare it to actor
Advantage on certain deceptions and being able to mimic voices/sounds/etc is pretty similar to expertise in deception.
>Compare it to observant
+5 passive perception is pretty similar to expertise in perception, depends how much of a perception faggot your DM is. In this case it's the skill system that's fucked because athletics, perception and stealth shouldn't so easily contribute to combat when you have the choice between 'medicine and perception' when perception is used to not lose rounds in combat and medicine is used to... stabilize without a medikit and some out of combat things? Which isn't really a choice. It's a 'you must take perception'.
>>
>>52766111
Huh, did not realize that, that was pretty much the only reason to go pact of the chain in the first place.
>>
>>52766204
>>52766156
Oh, and, I mean, feats like actor were never very strong in the first place.

Also there's one or two exceptions like historian which is kind of silly. But although it's silly, it's not awfully overpowered because you have to have proficiency in the skill in the first place to help unless your DM is a faggot and doesn't follow that necessary rule. And if you already have proficiency in all of those things, you'd often already be doing better than the person you're helping, but... Yeah, it leads to skill stacking shenanigans that are all too easy to do.
>>
>>52766205
Pacts are utility and self-defense options.
Tome lets you have extra, non-attack roll based cantrips, so you don't have disadvantage, and gives you utility rituals.
Chain lets you donate your attack to your familiar, it can help you to remove your disadvantage, and it gives you a built in scout and information source.
Blade sacrifices most of its utility, but lets you make fairly decent attacks in melee when threatened, and it keeps you from being disarmed long term.
>>
>>52766199
It's just going to be up to the DM every time
>>
File: tumblr_mmstayukys1r37gsao1_500.png (433KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmstayukys1r37gsao1_500.png
433KB, 500x339px
Yo, I just joined a new d&d group on roll20 after one of their players had to leave. Thing is, these are actually super nice people who seem on top of things, so I'm wanting to mesh as well as possible.

The party so far is a Eldritch Knight, w/e the caster Rogue is called and a cleric who I'm assuming is light. What would be a good party member to slip in their, assuming I don't like playing casters or barbarians?
>>
>>52766249
>you have to have proficiency in the skill in the first place to help unless your DM is a faggot and doesn't follow that necessary rule.

I'm reading it and it only say you have to make a History Check to add your proficiency bonus to theirs. I'm not seeing where you need to be Proficient in what they're trying to do.
>>
>>52766292
Paladins are always good. But if even that is too caster-y, maybe a Monk?
>>
>>52766300
To take the help action you have to be proficient to begin with. It's to stop you from "helping" your rogue with all his stuff for free advantage.
>>
>>52766316
Ah, that's fair. Is it only for stuff you would have no idea how to help with like Thieves' Tools? Because helping with things like Athletics and Stealth seems fair even without full training.
>>
>>52766311
I just gone done playing a Paladin (I think I cast about 3 spells across eight months, justifying it as him believing that godly acts should be left to the gods). A Monk could be cool, I've never played one before. Recommended path for one?
>>
>>52766205
Having a familiar that can turn invisible and give you advantage for some of your eldritch blasting in combat, and scout/spy for you out of combat, is still a pretty nice benefit.
>>
>>52766316
>To take the help action you have to be proficient to begin with.
What? That's not mentioned in the help action anywhere.
>>
>>52765635
Go with a Raven Queen Tomelock instead. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>52765635
Be a Kobold with an Invisible pet for Advantage.
>>
>>52766333
>Recommended path for one?
Straight out the window.

Some of the teleporty stuff is interesting, you can jump around all over the place. I forget the name, Shadow Monk or something.
>>
>>52766333
Open Hand is the strongest, Shadow is the most fun. Wot4E is just bad
>>
>Goliath Bearbarian with brawny
>Lift 6000 lb boulder
>Deal 1d4+Str
>>
>>52766346
I just checked, and i remembered it slightly wrong, but it still is largely true.

>A character can only provide help if the task is one that he or she could attempt alone.
>Moreover, a character can help only when two or more individuals working together would actually be productive
So while i was wrong, it IS true that you need to be able to actually help someone with an action in order to "help" them, which often means you need to be proficient, unless it's a manual labor task.
>>
What's the max range of a monster's effect? Looks like it could be 120 ft?
>>
>>52766395
Could you use your push/pull value to crush an enemy in a bear hug?
>>
>>52766407
1+Str unless you're a monk
>>
File: Awkward..png (64KB, 238x260px) Image search: [Google]
Awkward..png
64KB, 238x260px
>>52766126
>sorcerer
>fire shield
>>
File: barclay worried 7.png (259KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
barclay worried 7.png
259KB, 600x456px
>>52766418
One day we'll get an unarmed barbarian path
>>
>>52766402
Which monster? Which effect? Check their stat block for the distance
>>
>>52766464
The average, really.
>>
>>52766471
Well, some monster lair effects have 1 mile range and other effect are 5 feet so around 2640 feet.
You're welcome.
>>
>sorcerer gets cone of cold
>constantly complains to the fighter and cleric because they are in the way of the casting
Why are casters so insufferable?
>>
>>52766471
What are you on about?
>>
>>52766500
Be happy it isn't a Wizard or Bard, they're even worse at being autistic.
>>
>>52766488
Sweet, thanks heaps.
I could work with a 1 mile range effect.
>>
>>52766514
A wizard would just shape the cone so it doesn't hit allies, (and without spending sorcery points to boot).
>>
>>52766463
And outperform monk in unarmed and unarmored combat even more?
>>
Can we still fly into the air and use Cone spells as an AoE Circle in this edition?
>>
So everyone knows full casters are autistic, but which is the most autistic martial and why is it battlemaster fighter?
>>
File: Badger Totem.png (263KB, 498x526px) Image search: [Google]
Badger Totem.png
263KB, 498x526px
>>52766539
>>52766463
>>
How do I RULES OF NATURE!! in 5e?
>>
>>52766556
Just play a mystic.
>>
>>52766549
Because they're the only ones who care about "Ma oppressed martials" and the amount of burst damage they can do by burning every resource in one round.

Wizards and Battlemasters attract people who like to bitch about the metagame rather then play what they like and have fun with it. It really says something about the fact Battlemaster was voted /5eg/ favorite subclass.
>>
>>52766549
lol no, fighter, all variants of it are the least autistic of all classes

either barbarian because "hurrdurr me stupid xd lole i dont know how society works me hit me attack"

or rogues because potential edge factor
>>
>>52766539
"Unarmed combat" is not a niche worth protecting.

Basing an entire class around using a single weapon is fucking retarded. It would even be a hard sell as an archetype. It should be on the level of fighting styles.
>>
Do greater demons care at all about their tiefling progeny?
>>
>>52766500
Why doesn't he get careful metamagic?
>>
>>52766524
?????

Keep in mind those are for Legendary creatures with a lair's Regional Effects
>>
>>52766549
Rangers, an even split between furries wanting animal companions, and not!Drizzts
>>
>>52766552
>Burrow speed equal to walking speed
>>
>>52766581
>>52766581
>fighter, all variants of it are the least autistic of all classes
>Not Clerics

No one can say anything bad about a Cleric, everyone wants a Cleric healing them and I don't think they have a single good spell that damages allies. Plus all allies appreciate Spirit Guardians.
>>
>>52766552
>Burrow speed while raging
For what purpose?
>>
>>52766588
depends on the demon and depends on the tiefling

ultimately its up to the DM because they're god
>>
>>52766600
I find the image of a man becoming so angry he can tunnel through the earth with pure RAGE amazing, personally.
>>
>>52766578
From my experience, monk players are either newbies who get upset that the class isn't a dps king like they expected or super chilled experienced players. They're either the worst or best type of player.
>>
>>52766556
Play SKT
Get the Defensive Duelist Feat
Block a Giant's sword with your rapier
>>
>>52766585
Ok, would you prefer martial arts then?
Unarmored + unarmed + trips/shoves/grapples
>>
>>52766603
they're preachy!
>>
>>52766606
It'd be pretty good with the never ending rage, actually.
>>
>>52766611
i honestly dont care that my class sucks. im a fucking karate master punching and kicking a dragon to death. what more can i ask for?
>>
>>52766606
Gotta chase down burrowing enemies! MUST HIT!
>>
>>52766556
Unkillable? Barbarian
Blade mode? Fighter
Nature? Druid.
>>
Is it worth going into melee as life cleric? I might be able to get longsword proficiency for free from my DM.
>>
>>52766611
Because a good player knows Monk can be a great class. If you know what you're doing and are fine being the second best.

Anyone needs beating up? Monk can get to them. Someone needs to protect someone? Monk can take some hits. One guy needs to go away? He'll be out the fight as long as the Monk has Ki.

>>52766617
>Not playing a party nun whos drinks, gambles and cheats.

I don't know what Cleric you're hanging with.
>>
>>52766628
Yo, at what point do you go pure unarmed strikes?
>>
>>52766636
I already played a bearbarian with shield and was very killable
I also meant more in the curazy aspect, grapple, teleport, suplex or jump hundreds of meters lift tons and throw them into your enemies, etc
>>
>>52766614
Martial arts does not have to mean "unarmored" and "unarmed". Many martial arts use weapons, and don't require you to be basically naked while doing so, while some are based entirely around being encased in iron.

Hence, "Unarmored and unarmed" could easily be a fighting style.

Trip/shoves/grapples works as a class/archetype (hence already covered with battlemaster.).
>>
>>52766591
Yeah; what about the maximum range of a non-lair effect?
>>
>>52766611
I don't mind they're the worst DPS class, but it irks me they suck at what I consider martial arts grapple, shove/trip and other martial control. Even Open Palm, who's the path expert on that, suffers from ki being so scarce with so many options to be used (specially defense because goddamn monks are squishy).
>>
>>52766659
Whatever you need it to be? If you're looking for precedent, what sort of effect are you looking for?
>>
>>52766658
So monk is outperformed in every aspect, got it.
>>
>>52766656
The problem is youre expecting martials to be cuhrazey. DnD is not the game for cuhrazey martials.

Also did you just not go bear totem?

Go goliath barbarian and take tavern brawler. Pump strength and find heavy things to lift and hit people with. You also need to hope your DM is willing to work with you because the rules for improvised weapons are shoddy
>>
>>52764374
I allow them to use their breath weapon for cantrip-like effects. Doesn't really make them more powerful, but it at least gives them a little bit of utility. Even if that utility involves the copper dragonborn dripping acid from his mouth to burn through rope bindings and free his party.
>>
>>52766670
True that bro, something like a mass blast in a radius affecting all creatures.
>>
>>52766659
You are truly pissing me off. Describe the effect, what it does, what CR monster uses it and what kind of saving throw is used
>>
>>52766674
I think it is basically a superflous class, but it still has its place with the tricks it can do with Ki.
>>
>>52766674
Monk is 5e is a CC machine. Stunning several monster per round ( or several attempt of stun on the BBEG). It's better than what Wizard can usually do.
>>
>>52766690
I really wish they got more Ki. You need it for pretty much everything and you only get an amount equal to your level. With short rests it's fine, but more often then not you don't have access to it.
>>
>>52766565
I wish that UA had never been released, "just play a Mystic", "he's a Mystic", "why not Mystic" comes up way too often.
>>
>>52766675
I told you I was bearbarian (as in bear), enemies dished too much damage and were to accurate for it to really matter
>>
>>52766685
Not him, but didn't know you're a fucking autistic piece of shit.
>>
File: kirk resting chin.png (142KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
kirk resting chin.png
142KB, 400x300px
Are the UA Monk paths any good?
>>
>>52766683
Typically, the most you'll see is 90 foot cones and 120 foot lines. Spheres usually don't go much higher than 30, but a 60 foot cast range isn't unusual. Cube's aren't typically used for "blasts" and cylinders are typically tall but not wide.

The biggest effect a PC can get is Storm of Vengeance, range of sight, technically a 5000 foot high 360 foot radius cylinder.
>>
>>52766690
That would be fine and dandy if you could pop in and pop out of combat easily, but you don't, you also need to survive and move and your ki isn't enough for all of that, you get 1 stun or 2 stun attemps per combat even at mid high levels because you also have to dodge, make several punches, etc
>>
>>52766705
I find that at about level 8 or so, you start having Ki to play around with.
>>
>>52766685
You could try being more helpful instead of screeching like a little shit.
>>
>>52766720
Oh sweet, this is really helpful, thanks heaps bro!
>>
>>52766669
Yet at any level higher then 4 they have more Ki then a battlemaster has dice. They can use them to get more damage then he does with one, they can use them to get more control then he does and they can use them for more Defence then he can. They also have AC equal to Plate at level 8 which is about where martials should be getting it. Up until level 11 the only class features fighters get over Monks are Action Surge, Second Wind and a Fighting style. The monk gets it's fair share of abilities that are good like arrow catching, unarmored movement, bonus action attacks and slow fall.

The imbalance only comes in when feats pop up and making a "Insert Weapon Master" for one handed weapons would fix that.
>>
>>52766716
Drunken master has a very nice mobile option (if you FoB you can move with +10 ft without provoking)
Kensai is a fucking wording mess and even optimized as fuck is pretty much Open Hand in terms of damage which is sad because kensai was supposed to be the Monk for damage
The healing monk I heard is ok but never tried it or looked at it
>>
>>52766645
Eh, not really
Clerics make a lot of use out of their concentration and Spirit Guardians (one of their better spells) is really good at keeping people just out of melee reach
With a longsword you'll be doing 1d8+str/dex (which you won't be increasing), with another d8 all the way at level 8. But damage cantrips, which go up with your relevant stats, can do 2d8 at level 5 and go up another at 11. Replace those with d10s for Toll the Dead

But hey if you find anything between the levels of 8 and 11, with a both good dex and wis save (Sacred Flame and Toll the Dead), then it'll be worth it
>>
>>52766748
Where can I find Drunken Master?
>>
>>52766747
They have less HPs and less AC than a fighter pretty much through their all career, yet they're forced into CQC
>>
>>52766748
>and even optimized as fuck is pretty much Open Hand in terms of damage

GWM Kensai Lizardfolk who dumps WIS. It's fucking brutal. Taking GWM or Sharpshooter on any Kensai makes it amazing really, and the AC hit can be fixed by making one less weapon attack when you need it.
>>
>>52766769
>Less HP
I will admit Monk should've been d10

>Less AC
Monk should be starting with 16 and going up to 18 by level 8. Their AC is exactly right for the level of armour and 5% hit chance isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be.
>>
>>52766787
Can we at least all agree that monks have the worst level 20 ability?
>>
File: CsLZJP0WIAAXJer.jpg (199KB, 1200x1100px) Image search: [Google]
CsLZJP0WIAAXJer.jpg
199KB, 1200x1100px
Anyone got experience with a Aarakocra monk?
>>
>>52766804
Without a fucking doubt. No reason not to pick up a level of anything else at that point, Cleric's a good option.

The main issue with Monks is when feats come into play and when DM's go "lol you're a monk you don't get hand tailored magic items like everyone else". Even a magic staff in the hands of a monk is good.

Also their power level's kinda weird. They start average, go down around 3-5 then comeback up and be awesome around 6+. So a lot of people get disheartened when it's that mid-low level and they're not great.

There really should be more Weapon feats that are of GWM and Sharpshooter power level though, everyone who isn't one suffers when compared to those. It's a shame the UA weapon feats sucked dick.
>>
>>52766846
To be honest I'd just be content with Tavern Brawler being a +1d4 when it came to feats. Realistically the only good ones on them are mobile and lucky, the latter being good on pretty much everyone.
>>
>>52766844
If your DM is smart he'll ban you from playing a race that has a fly speed from level 1.
>>
File: Monk Push.png (36KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
Monk Push.png
36KB, 500x414px
>>52766844
Just remember Open Hand lets you push people off the ground diagonally and air Combo them 30ft into the air.
>>
>>52766846
I went div wizard as a multi-class when I hit level 19-20. Using porter to force an insta fail on your quivering palm is insanely useful.
>>
>>52766726
stunned creature can't use reaction
>>
>>52766726
Mobile is THE feat to pick up for monks.
>>
>>52766706
I'm a mystic and I can make you believe that Mystic UA never been release
>>
>>52766894
He also said on the same tweet that you can push the creature vertically if it's on top of you.

Time to go halfling.
>>
>>52766901
I went Barbarian 2 when I got to 8. Damage Resistance, Danger Sense, HP and I sometimes just used Reckless Attack if me dying wasn't a big concern.

When someone's gotta die getting Advantage and +2 Damage on each hit is normally worth -3 to hit .
>>
File: Ken-shoryu-ts.gif (81KB, 238x256px) Image search: [Google]
Ken-shoryu-ts.gif
81KB, 238x256px
>>52766956

>>52766961
The +2 wouldn't apply would it considering your unarmed attacks go off dex, no?
>>
>>52766985
I just used Strength for them. I made up for the hit in Accuracy with Advantage and relied on WIS for my AC instead of DEX.

I was new and the character was shit until level 10 but then my STR Monk/Barbarian was actually pretty good.
>>
>>52766804
Though this build >>52767007 isn't great. Having 13 STR is easy enough for a 1 level dip in Barb for half damage to be awesome on Monks.

Hell Barb 1/ Monk X works.
>>
>People aren't making Monk X/ Smauri 3

It's like you don't want to go full Bruce Lee and do 6 punches with ADV in one turn.
>>
>>52767026
Isn't Empty Body just a better version of this?

>>52767063
Action surge it into 12
>>
>>52766770
You not always can start with both Dex and Wis at 16 and at the same time have good Con
>>
>>52767129
meant yo reply to>>52766787
>>
File: 2012-08-06 14.21.56.jpg (279KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
2012-08-06 14.21.56.jpg
279KB, 600x450px
>>52767129
>rolling for stats
>>
>>52767138
>Wood Elf.

10, 17, 15, 8, 16, 8 is not only possible but actually good for a Monk. It's minmaxed as shit but has all important Saves.

Level 4 gets you +1 DEX and +1 CON.
>>
>>52766932
Only whe you already have both dex and wis at 20
>>
File: laughing riker.gif (2MB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
laughing riker.gif
2MB, 268x268px
>>52767172
>Not playing a variant human
>>
>>52767138
Elite array default human
Elite array anything that isn't v human or wood elf
Try harder next time
>>
>>52767172
Variant Human with 10, 16, 14, 8, 16, 8 and Mobile senpai.

>>52767193
Default Human actually makes a decent monk come to think of it. 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8 only should ever be on Monks.
>>
>>52767172
>and wis
Not getting attacked is far more valuable than +1 ac, so the only question is if you value a 1 higher DC on stunning strike.
>>
What are some good derogatory names to call some of the other races? Knife-ears for elves is the only one that really comes to mind. Anything for dwarves and the rest?
>>
>>52767189
>not starting at 21th level with 4 magic items attuned and being a gestalt of 5 classes
>>
I'm thinking about joining a campaign. He has some house rules. Added new skills to gather info and help dealing with NPCs. Fi e what ever. Seems like that's covered. He has a test that lets you keep concentration on 2 spells. If your hit you roll a save to keep the last one cast. What are some crazy combos
>>
So were just hitting level 4 and our dm informs us not to increase our abilities or take a feat because were going to acquire them elsewhere in the game. Im not a fan, my favourite thing in dnd and games in generally is leveling up and getting stronger. So im just left standing here holding my MAD monk dick. Input on this decision anyone?
>>
>>52767210
Kike's always a good one.
>>
>>52767210
i usually call elves twiggers, never really thought about slurs for other races though
>>
Kek, you can easily start with 19 AC as a monk, you will only need to not suck at rolling stats, if you can't even do that you should play something more to your mental level like bouncing a ball
>>
>People laughing at other people for not using the variant rules
>>
>>52767255
> rolling for stats
>>
>>52767210
dwarf = digger
humans = dust (short lifespan)
female human = dustbunny
elf female who has sex humans = dustpan
elf male who has sex with humans = dustmop
>>
>>52767241
tell your DM that he should tell everyone about that houserule beforehand. This is a pretty bad table manner.
>>
>>52764184
Man I like 5e but is it getting worse and worse fast as fuck or what? God damn.
>>
>>52767255
Elite array is the default, we should discuss the efficiency of classes assuming default rules
>>
>>52767220
If I'm a gestalt of five classes with Savage Species allowed and 40 point buy then fuck that shit I want to start at level 1 and live my powerfantasy fully.
>>
>>52767270
>>52767290
>if I have to roll for stats I'm going to throw a tantrum
>>
>>52766170
They're vastly superior to kender, they have that going for them.
>>
>>52767290
>Elite array is the default
The RULEBOOK says rolling is the default.
>>
>>52767210
Stonebrain / Beerbrain for Dorfs
>>
>>52767290
Elite array no v. human?

12, 14, 13, 8, 15, 10 Wood Elf. Gets 16 AC after racials which is the same as anyone else at that point.

Also if we're not allowing any variant rules then Monk are actually going to be doing better then most Fighter builds.
>>
>>52767305
>If I can't roll for stats I'm going to throw a tantrum

You aren't even trying anymore.

>>52767313
It lies to your face. Just like the D&D we all played and loved.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170418-061703.jpg (184KB, 939x644px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170418-061703.jpg
184KB, 939x644px
So this stacks with Powerful Build right?
>>
>>52767329
>I'm going to pretend that I'm not throwing a tantrum now but I'm fucking seething at the mere idea of not having complete control over every aspect of my special snowflake fanfic character
>>
>>52767329
It's fine if you prefer variant rules, just don't go around telling lies and saying that it's the default rule.
>>
>>52767332
I think powerful build is just moving things.

Is the UA any good otherwise?
>>
>>52767332
Probably not. "As if" is the keyword here, it's probably just change how you calculate your carrying capacity just like how new AC calculation work.
>>
>>52767313
>>52767344
Just gonna jump in to say that in AL array or point buy is standard, anon might be thinking about that.
>>
>>52767344
It's the default mathematical expectation of the system. You can see it in >>52767327 for example that stat bonuses and classes are calibrated with that as the default expectation.

>>52767342
I'm okay with randomly rolling race/class/archetype/spells on levelup/background/gender/sexual orientation/name/stat distribution (not all at once) just not for stats themselves.

But of course, why be reasonable when you can instead shitpost.
>>
>>52767344
>>52767313
Read the PHB.
Standard Array is default anon. Point-buy is the variant rule.

Stop lying on the internet, it's not good for your health.
>>
>>52766760
The UA of three weeks ago I think, or in the OP
>>
>>52767313
RTFM, famalamdingdong
>>
>>52767380
>Standard Array is default
How about your read the PHB?
>>
>>52767398
> He doesn't even bother reading the image he is posting

Anon is cute! cute!!
>>
>>52767398
The default is Roll or standard array, right there for all to see. You can pick.

Most games do use point buy the same way most use feats though.
>>
>>52767375
>randomly rolling for spells learned

ABSOLUTELY INSANE
There's so many shit spells.
>>
>>52767434
>be wizard
>roll all spells
>get all spells that don't go with your school
Absolutey stupid
>>
>>52767375
>randomly rolling spells learned
How the fuck does that even make sense? Spells are researched. The Wizard literally spends time trying to figure out Evard's Black Tentacles and "figures it out" by the time he levels up. He doesn't get it by divine revelation.
>>
>>52767445
stop minmaxplaining
>>
File: 1490113453099.png (13KB, 349x320px) Image search: [Google]
1490113453099.png
13KB, 349x320px
Just got out of a session that ended three hours early because the wizard had a hissy fit that the Sorcerer was 'too op' despite the fact that the Sorcerer is Wild Magic while the Wizard is lore.

Why do all wizards have to be such scum?
>>
>>52767445
Would make sense for sorcerers I guess but
>playing a sorcerer
>>
>>52764301
Anyone?
>>
Why is Rise of Tiamat so shit? I mean it's an insult how expensive it is.
>>
>>52767459
Wizards are superior in literally every way to Sorcerers, what the fuck is he complaining about
>>
Okay, so rolling for spells is maybe a dumb idea, but I'd say it's still less dumb than rolling for stats.

>>52767443
>>52767434
Wizard still gets the feature to copy school spells cheaper.

Bard can still pick spells with their class features (and their spell list is curtailed to be distilled awesome anyway).

Would be dumb with warlock/sorcerer tho, but they should have a bloodline/patron spell-list that they get for free anyway.

>>52767445
You achieve a random breakthrough, discovering a spell unrelated to what you were trying to achieve. Maybe have the option to reroll X times, where X is your proficiency bonus or something, it's not like there are official rules for that.
>>
File: Arnold.jpg (5KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
Arnold.jpg
5KB, 217x232px
>>52767443
>only/mostly taking spells that go with your school

That's shortbus shit right there friendo
>>
Can Trickery Cleric cast spirit guardian on his clone?
>>
>>52767477
It's 5e first module. It's unpolished and still use some playtest mechanic.
>>
>>52767111
>Isn't Empty Body just a better version of this
At level 18, you're probably better off going 3 in Totem for Bearbarian at that point.
>>
File: 1492517377262.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492517377262.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>52767481
I think the Sorc used polymorph on the fighter who was about to die to turn him into a rex, then the Wizard tried to interject saying that Sorc's couldn't get that spell. When we called him on his bullshit he started going off about how Sorcerers got all the best wizard spells and could use them better while wizards got no Sorcerer spells.

It was pretty awful to be honest.
>>
>>52767483
>You achieve a random breakthrough, discovering a spell unrelated to what you were trying to achieve
But that's stupid. Imagine a Level 20 Wizard rolling Darkness and Jump or something instead of Time Stop and Wish.

>>52767486
>Be wizard with forbidden necromancy and evocation
>get fireball and Animate Dead at level 5
>>
>>52767486
what the fuck is a shortbus even
>>
>>52767515
>But that's stupid. Imagine a Level 20 Wizard rolling Darkness and Jump or something instead of Time Stop and Wish.

You are assuming the worst mechanical implementation when nothing specific was actually described.

For example, for me, it'd be obvious that the randomly learned spells would be from your highest level slots.

>>52767515
>forbidden schools

Anon, you missed your thread
>>
>>52767486
>Only
I didn't say that
Is pretty possible that if you roll yous spells you get none from your school
>>
File: tumblr_onyoc5nsb11w90bk7o1_500.gif (902KB, 500x287px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onyoc5nsb11w90bk7o1_500.gif
902KB, 500x287px
I'm going to make a Tanuki character for a future campaign and I've thought about the race set up and all that but for the class I'm thinking of multi-classing Sorc/Rogue.. Does anyone have any recommended set ups for that?

I really want them to be a tricky sorcerer rather than a magical rogue!

Thank you.
>>
>>52767562
Swashbuckler/Dragon Sorcerer.
>>
>>52767562
You sure you have the balls to do this anon?
>>
>>52765553
A guy with a homebrewed race that your DM wouldn't let you play anyway.
>>
>>52767508
Then instead of Wizards shitting out a turd, they should've actually polished the adventure and made an actually good supplement.
>>
>>52765553
A Main Character 20.

>>52767588
>should've
Yeah well
>>
>>52767573
2/10
>>52767579
Generally I like to keep my classes pure but I like the idea too much.

IRT homebrew, a lot of my races have been homebrew but I have a problem where I start planning characters for 3/4 campaigns out.. Too many ideas and not enough time.
>>
File: 147121843132.jpg (84KB, 657x658px) Image search: [Google]
147121843132.jpg
84KB, 657x658px
>>52767380
>>52767344
>>52767329
>>52767398
>Not realizing ironman rolling is the most fun way to play

It's ok I used to be a child too.
>>
>>52767637
Ironman is for dumbasses
I bet you play Mana Universalis too
>>
File: autistic questing.jpg (88KB, 748x710px) Image search: [Google]
autistic questing.jpg
88KB, 748x710px
>>52767648
>retarded questshit can't roleplay a character he didn't cheat the stats high on
>>
>>52767407
>>52767418
>if you want to save time or don't like the idea of randomly determining ability scores
>"default is standard array"

>default now being defined by a conditional clause separate from main narrative
>being this clueless as to construction of language

Rolling is default, end of. Standard array is the first point of call as a variant, but it's not the default.
>>
>>52767653
not an argument
>>
>>52767662
> choose between [a] and [b] in equipment pack is now a variant rule
> choose starting wealth is now a variant rule
> any archetype not list first in the class section is now a variant rule

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>52767653
Last time I rolled stats, in ironman order even, I ended up with 17 18 18 18 18 16 Wizard. The shittiest guy in the party ended up as 13 12 11 6 10 14 Paladin.
>>
>>52767631
If you don't like Swashbuckler / Dragon Sorcerer (which is most likely the most powerful option) there's a few other ideas.

Assassin / Shadow Sorcerer for being cool and edgy?

Scout / Sea Sorcerer foe max mobility?

Swashbuckler / Storm Sorcerer for ocean guy?

Anything / Phoenix for cool fire powers?
>>
>>52767514
> while wizards got no Sorcerer spells.
Did you at least shoot him in the head?
>>
>>52767666
nice digits satan, no wonder you like quests so much
>>
if i use the UA monk Kensei tradition, can i choose the glaive or some other bullshit 2h weapon with reach, use dexterity on it and then claim i can still use my monk's bonus unarmed strike as a kick?

is it too powerful? is it lame?
>>
>>52767637
>Not realizing ironman rolling is the most fun way to play

Yeah, in OD&D.

Which is why I play that game when I want to Ironman.
>>
>>52767674
>strawmanning this hard

It's not about what comes first, shitnugget. It's about "X is the case - if you don't like X, Y is fine". Y is a variant by definition.

Y would still be a variant if it were phrased "Y can be used if you don't want to use X."

Therefore your examples are wrong just as you are.

Suck it.
>>
>>52767677
>ironman
>picking your class before you roll stats
WOWWWWW so THIS is the power of being a retarded child
>>
>>52767694
>before you roll stats
With those stats, Paladin isn't even a bad choice.
>>
>>52767694
Is this what you do in your free time?

Just come to 5e threads to shitpost?

Shouldn't you be asleep or in school right about now? Is this how you are spending the IT class?
>>
>>52767692
While you're correct, you're also incorrect. In this context, the variant keyword is reserved for rules they have specifically decided are variant. Point buy is a variant rule, rolling is the default, and standard array is an optional choice.
>>
>>52767684
Everyone just went all quite when he said it, followed by an "Exactly!" from him. It was a pretty miserable situation in general to be honest, but the campaign ends next session and the DM's already asked a few of us if we want to continue in a sandbox under the condition that no one tells the wizard about it.
>>
File: 1335599192020.gif (174KB, 299x240px) Image search: [Google]
1335599192020.gif
174KB, 299x240px
>>52767674
Wow your reading comprehension sucks.
>>
>>52767707
>i'm mad that I don't get to choose stats someone please save me from not being able to cheat
>>
>>52767708
I'll take it as a moral victory. All I set out to say was that standard array wasn't the default.
>>
>>52767694
Do you even PHB?

>1. Choose a race
>2. Choose a class
>3. Determine ability scores
>4. Describe your character
>5. Choose equipment
>6. Come together
>>
What is Ironman rolling?
>>
>>52767723
The book pretends it isn't to appeal to grogs (or hipsters pretending to be grogs) like >>52767722

The game was very obviously built on the assumption that everyone's going to use arrays.
>>
>>52767729
>7. Right now
>>
>>52767741
>8. Over me
>>
>>52767729
>ironman
>choose class and race before rolling stats
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

really makes me think
>>
>>52767738
>the game is built around bitchy players whining if they aren't allowed to cheat
>>
>>52767694
Your reading comprehension also sucks.

He rolled, then chose his class based on what he rolled.
>>
>>52767745
Who wants to take bets that this guy thinks you still roll stats in order?
>>
>>52767738
>The game was very obviously built on the assumption that everyone's going to use arrays.

I think it's probably more accurate to say that it's built on the assumption that the end stats, whatever the ruling, roughly resemble the array due to averages.

They couldn't really build it around minmaxers.
>>
File: MonsterModule-15.jpg (4MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
MonsterModule-15.jpg
4MB, 2550x3300px
Planning to throw two of these on my level 5/5 players party this thursday, how can I let them know that they need some kind of antidote to the petrifying gaze of the beast without being to obvious about it?
>>
>>52767763
>They couldn't really build it around minmaxers.

Arrays don't really allow minmaxing, unless "put the two big stats into your two most important stats and do whatever with the rest" counts as minmaxing.
>>
>>52767741
>>52767743
haet u gais Now I have to listen to it.
>>
>>52767785
>I want my minimum stat to be something I don't need
>and my maximum stat to be the thing I need most
>but it's not minmaxing because I say it isn't
>>
>>52767799
Would you put on a trip?

I don't mind trolling, but continously spewing low effort shit is annoying.
>>
>>52767785
That's what I mean, though - they had to build it around a roughly array-based format because it makes no sense to base it on the assumption everyone will be min-maxed.

But that's not the same as saying the game was designed specifically for people to play with arrays.
>>
>>52767821
>it's not minmaxing because you're trolling I just want to be able to waste my low stats and assign my high stats to exactly where I need them most for my class and build
>>
This is the best way to roll for stats:

Start with the standard array, and assign the stats as you choose.

You can choose to gamble for an increase on up to 3 stats. To do so, flip a coin. On a heads, the stat is increased by 1. On a tails, it isn't.

For every stat you tried to increase, you must also gamble for a decrease on another stat. To do so, flip a coin. On a tails, the stat is decreased by 1. On a heads, it isn't.

You can't gamble a stat more than once, so if you choose to try for an increase on CHA, you can't later try to decrease it. You also can't stack three decreases on one stat, or three increases on one stat.
>>
>>52767770
Are you able to have them encounter a random NPC beforehand? You could have someone who was a victim of the basilisk previously who talks of how they were cured - or how they were half-cured with a ghetto cure, implying there's a better cure out there they have to find.

They could be stone from the waist down, frozen to the spot, serving only as a warning to travellers.
>>
>>52767459
my sessions are normally 3 hours or less, how long do you normally play for? also the wizard class exists so you can easily spot and avoid cunts
>>
>>52767821
For reference, I am >>52767763 and >>52767826, but I am NOT >>52767799

I'm interested in the discussion rather than trolling.
>>
>>52767375
No. Anything with long-term effects on the characters, that isn't the result of an encounter, should be chosen by the player, not rolled.

The less control the players have, the less attached to their characters they'll be, which is ok if you want to play that way, but generally fantasy heroes aren't supposed to be disposable.
>>
>>52767880
Not him, but I usually start around 1pm and often finish 9-10pm. Fills a Saturday afternoon.
>>
>>52767682
I think that the Swashbuckler / Dragon Sorc is a cool idea but the dragonblooded thing would contradict with the 'being a small furry forest creature' thing!

I really like these set ups actually so I think I'll hoard them away for future characters but I think they probably won't work for this one.

Tanuki are tricksters who live in the woods and are a little bit lazy so anything too adventurous might put the personality I had in mind off model. Thank you for the suggestion though.
>>
>>52767966
new thread lads
>>
>>52767887
Yeah I figured, you don't greentext for one.

Also, good point, but I'm thinking if you balance around one method, you'd probably intend that method to be your default, right?

You could definitely balance around both random rolling (by diminishing the importance of stats, for example using OD&D modifiers, or using stat-independent modifiers for abilities), or point buy (by making stats about equally important to everyone, or, as they did, maximizing the amount you can dump so you can't buy up to 18 at start).

In fact, I'm thinking the stat-caps are part of damage control for rolling and poitnbuy, so they don1t throw off the math too much.
>>
>>52767900
we start around 6:30 and end around 9:30, but we play on week days.
>>
>>52767715
What Sorcerer spells? The druid ones?
>>
>>52767887
>>52767785
>>52767763
>>52767723
>>52767708

i think they designed the game around the fact your stats will resemble the array, but their game system can take minmaxing since stat increases are capped to 20 anyway.
5e, especially core, was designed with simplicity in mind, as opposed to PF rule, crunch and minmaxing heavy eviroment, that's probably why they chose to put stats array as the first option hoping everyone will stick to it. doing point buy or rolling don't sound too out of bounds.

in my opinion, unless you want to roll and have players with different power levels(which is shit for both encounter design and palyer satisfaction in long campaigns), the best course of action is using the point buy system to create 2 more arrays and then let the players choose between the 3 arrays. none of the arrays will be some shit like 7 7 7 10 16 16.
>>
>>52767241
tell your DM that you would like to even out some of your stats.

if he gives you a badass feat instead i don't think you should complain.
>>
>>52768169
>they designed the game so that it should be played the way I want because I'm a minmaxer
but they listed rolling for stats first in the book for some strange reason...

REALLY MAKES YOU THINK
>>
>Two-weapon Fighter, Dual Wielder, Mobility, plate armor, cloak of protection
I AM the AoE!
And also a Beyblade
Thread posts: 391
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.