[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 425
Thread images: 49

File: Goblin Ambush.jpg (265KB, 1200x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Ambush.jpg
265KB, 1200x1599px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/... >>52719060
>>
>>52729053
That's what I used to think until our DM throw Ropers at us.

Dex save of -1 vs AC 20 (with disadvantage from restrain)....

I know which one I'm going to choose
>>
>>52728862
How do people just not understand how certain things in life... Are just wrong? Here I am, every day from birth to now I'm reminded by all forms of interaction that "Rape is wrong", and here we have, I don't even know what to call him, just non-Chantilly saying "oh yeah I'm gonna rape her."
>>
Why wouldn't Bless and Bane and other similar spells just add a flat +2 or -2. I hate rolling extra dice on shit like this.
>>
File: 1375660145470.gif (3MB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1375660145470.gif
3MB, 200x250px
>>52729437
>but murder is okay

lol. DnD babies everyone. Give it up for DnD babs.
>>
What would you replace on Champion Fighters to make them more involved? The Remarkable Athlete or Additional Fighting Style?
>>
>>52729495
>Raping another player's character is the same as killing goblins

Okay
>>
Surprise round doesn't exist in 5e!
>>
>>52729514
4u
*teleports behind you*
>>
>>52729506
make remarkable athlete not shit, keep additional fighting style but let them swap one fighting style/feat per long rest (probably require some practice time or whatever). theyre not underpowered by much compared to other martials, just boring
>>
>>52729506
I honestly don't think they need to be.
They pretty much seem like the archetype for people that don't want to be involved.

The involved fighter is the battle master.
>>
>>52729506
The Champion Fighter's fine. Dull but fine.

It can do a good amount of damage. Also gets more out of combat use with remarkable athlete then a battlemaster's "Keep this guy talking for a minute so I can learn diddly shit about him". Also can actually be a good option on certain Crti-fishing builds and works well with a Half-Orc Fighter 3/ Barbarian X.

I don't think it needs a buff but I think we need another Fighter option who also doesn't need to manage resources. Something maybe a bit more complicated then Champion, lower damage then Battlemaster but he can literally last all day laughing at rests.
>>
Thoughts on an assassin botanist?

Was thinking of taking magic initiate for entangle, then multiclassing just a little bit of hunter and the rest assassin rogue.

During downtime cultivate plants for poisons.
When not adventuring he's doing flower arrangements and using tiny ass scissors to trim up his plants.
>>
File: 1393853921257.jpg (19KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
1393853921257.jpg
19KB, 280x400px
>>52729437
>doesn't bury the dead
>doesn't burn the dead
>pays no respects to the dead
>steals from the dead
>haggles with merchants
>steals from merchants
>coerces assistance
>neglects porters
>swindles innkeepers
>causes rapid inflation
>spreads disease
>starts campfires in forests

tell me more about your moral D&D games lol
>>
>>52729437
Was he kicked?
>>
How would you run 5e as a high fantasy game?
>>
>>52729702
You just ask the question: how would this world I'm creating look like if the average person saw magic of the Xth level or higher on a daily basis? A weekly basis? Etc.
>>
>>52729437
made me reply/10
>>
Bard or Cleric for CoS?
>>
>>52729682
I really hope you'll never have a girlfriend you rape apologist.
>>
>>52729811
It depends on _________cleric.
>>
File: 1383465449592.gif (796KB, 320x286px) Image search: [Google]
1383465449592.gif
796KB, 320x286px
>>52729327
I'm regretting having started the LMoP module with one of my players playing a Gnome Rogue.

Everyone in the group is new at the game, and they're all doing a fine job listening to me, but holy shit this dude.

Goes out of his way to fuck over the other players, every sentence has to include a movie reference, and just goes stabbing anything and everything he sees.
>>
File: 135432643.jpg (67KB, 800x595px) Image search: [Google]
135432643.jpg
67KB, 800x595px
I'm writing a campaign for 5th level characters where they are hired by a wizard's school to pretend to be students.

I want to give the non-spellcasters a way to interact with the magic heavy environment but don't want to detract from the full casters.

Any ideas /tg/?
>>
>>52729938
Give them a couple magic items that will allow them to produce cantrips.

What do most people use as a focus? Maybe the school gave the non casters one so they could blend in better.

Minor illusion would be a great cantrip choice because if they ever need to pretend to be magic they can fake the effects of tons of spells.
>>
>>52729327
On the subject of Goblins, what would a goblin civilization with access to limitless food (basically a magic item, a food version of the decanter of endless water) look like?
>>
>>52729889

Remember your playing a game that is supposed to represent an actual living breathing world and that psychotic murderhobos tend to end up hung from the gallows in an average medieval town
>>
Was there a ruling about whether or not you can use magic stone to sneak attack?
>>
Looking to flesh out my character story a bit and for advice on how to play him.
He's a dragonborn riot-guard who prefers to avoid violence and has a soft spot for animals thanks to working in the animal division of the city watch. Believes that laws are necessary for the greater good of society despite the evils/exploitation it can sometimes enable. Battlemaster with Protection fighting style. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1486509060859.jpg (141KB, 543x405px) Image search: [Google]
1486509060859.jpg
141KB, 543x405px
>>52730040
>He's a dragonborn

into le trash it goes
>>
>>52729728
I mean what'd need to be modified/changed in terms of mechanics?
>>
>>52730056
Let the party by magic items.
>>
>>52730050
Other than you trying to be funny, care to explain why?
>>
File: 1373409037768.png (137KB, 332x335px) Image search: [Google]
1373409037768.png
137KB, 332x335px
>>52730040
>dragonborn
>not lizardfolk
>>
File: 1384432623537.jpg (180KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
1384432623537.jpg
180KB, 700x900px
>>52730108
it's a meme race that shouldn't even exist. They only implemented to attract the Skyrim normies
>>
>>52729973
Basically a goblin camp, but FUCKHUEG and full of things they've taken on one of their endless raids.
>>
>>52730108

>>52730116 This guy's right. They could've made them cool but all they did is "Dragon people with scaly tits". Do they even have any lore worth reading?
>>
>>52730116
>it's a meme race that shouldn't even exist.
No. It's a dumb race that only should exist in Eberron.
>They only implemented to attract the Skyrim normies
No.
>>
>>52730132
>Do they even have any lore worth reading?

Yes, they do. They, like 4e Tieflings, have a HEAP of lore about them and are kinda central to the setting. The conflict between the two empires are a major historical event.
>>
>>52730116
>They only implemented to attract the Skyrim normies
>Skyrim: 2011
>D&D 4E: 2008

Your post was so stupid I actually tuned off my VPN so I could post.
If you think dragonborn are retarded (which they are without the solid fluff they would need) just say so.
>>
>>52730142
Well it's a shame then that Points of Light/Nentir Vale hasn't been updated to 5e, because that's the only setting in which their justification as a core race makes sense.
>>
>>52730142
I might give that a look. I actually heard good things about 4e lore and the gameplay was alright, not my thing but still a good game.

If 4e can actually give me ideas for Tieflings and Dragonborn to fit into a setting it might be worth downloading the pdfs again.
>>
>>52730155

Dragonlance. Draconians are big in the setting past the second war of the lance.
>>
>>52729938
Get the martials to be Janitors.
>>
>>52730040
>riot-guard
>animal division of the city watch
Both of those are recently invented jobs. It's like saying you worked for HR in a lord's castle or you were a guidance counselor at a clerics seminary.

>prefers to avoid violence
That's going to be difficult when your party has to delve into a dungeon and exterminate a tribe of ghouls or the other party members instigate a fight with a cyclops.
>>
>>52729506
>champion fighters
>make them more involved
That right there. That's missing the point.
>>
File: 1483861721358.gif (1MB, 169x140px) Image search: [Google]
1483861721358.gif
1MB, 169x140px
>>52730159
>I actually heard good things about 4e lore and the gameplay was alright
>>
>>52729938
Janitors, cooks, staff and more importantly Guards with rings that let them cast anti-magic.
>>
>>52730176
And AFAIK they're a bunch of assholes as a rule, with redeeming individuals a rarity. This places them in the same uncomfortable position as Drow, where you either have to conform to or reject your society.
>>
File: 1482377440604.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482377440604.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
What personality traits could I give a wood elf barbarian professional chef? He's eating as many exotic creatures as possible to absorb their powers. Good ways to play him?
>>
>>52730181
>Both of those are recently invented jobs. It's like saying you worked for HR in a lord's castle or you were a guidance counselor at a clerics seminary.

Not the guy you're responding to. How is that relevant? Why wouldn't HR (obviously not by name) be important in D&Dland? D&D isn't set in the past or future.

Also, preferring to avoid violence isn't the same pas pacifism.
>>
>>52730050
I'm almost always against huge sweeping generalizations about player races and the kind of people who play them, but I've NEVER had a Dragonborn player who wasn't a complete and total problem case.
>>
>>52730159
>ideas for Tieflings and Dragonborn to fit into a setting

Read Brimstone Angels
>>
>>52730128
Would goblins even need to conduct raids if they have immediate access to food?
>>
>>52730245
I'd thought about reading that, but the name made me want to gag. It's such a fucking edgy title.

Is the book actually good though?
>>
>>52730136
Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
They were shoehorned into Eberron because of 4E
>>
>>52730254
Don't listen to him. Dragonborn and Tieflings are fucking trash. So are drow.
>>
>>52730211

Draconians aren't much like drow at all, they're a magical chattel race recently made by wizards + clerics. They were also deprived of their womenfolk to keep them under control, so the "society" (evil wizards being dicks) that created them is gone, Takhisis is dead and gone, and so they don't have anything to rebel against.

They're more like half drow, if Lolth was dead and drow was extinct.
>>
What is the worst alignment out there? Like I was playing tonight as a High Elf Druid and with the most painful sunny disposition, but because of it I ended up derailing our GM's plans to the point that I started a chain of events that led to our party's alliance with bandits getting destroyed, an undead army getting raised, and having to evacuate a whole town that we were trying to save from bandits.
>>
>>52730263
Dragonborn are just part of WotC's "scalies initiative" that started with kobolds.
>>
>>52729990
It isn't a ranged weapon, so no. Unless you hurl it with sling which is a ranged weapon then yes.
>>
>>52730263
They were in 3e Eb too, and the other kind of dragon people were kind of a big deal in Eberron.

>>52730136
Dragon dudes are a pretty obvious shoe in for FR, as there's 101 flavors of humanoid dragons.
>>
>>52730283
Chaotic Neutral, by far.
>>
>>52730283
In order
CE
CG
CN
LG
TN
NE
LE
NG
>>
>>52730237
>Also, preferring to avoid violence isn't the same as pacifism.

Obviously, but someone who chooses to make a living of dungeon-plunging and dragon-slaying by definition does not "prefer to avoid violence". Unless the dragonborn dogcatcher plans on sitting it out every time the party initiates a fight, he actively seeks violence.
>>
>>52730254

>It's such a fucking edgy title.
Yeah, it is, it's the title of a character there.

>Is the book actually good though?
I liked it, gives a good idea how Tieflings are viewed by people of small cities vs bigger cities.
Also Fiendlocks, Harpers, devil's hierarchy.
>>
>>52730159
There is no reason to have those meme races in a setting. "Oh, X raped my mom so I have these weird powers" is not an interesting background. I'd much rather have monster races since it makes for better RP
>>
>>52730296
I find kobolds becoming dragonkin ok as they were too similar to gnolls.
>>
>>52730074
Excellent, perhaps more items than normal, ie more than 3?
>>
>>52730366
This. It makes so little sense too.

>there are dozens of full blooded races running around without constant racial genocide or public lynches
>yet some reason, a hybrid race is so vilified that they suffer from angst and whinging despite getting AWESOME FUCKING POWERS

Literally emo bait
>>
>>52730370
I find they work well as a humanoid dragon race. I fluff them as originally being Gnomes whose country fell to a cult of a Dragon god. Now they're basically the servants and armies used by the Ancient Dragons. Ancient Dragons being unique to one of each colour.

Also gives me a reason for never having Gnomes show up much.
>>
>>52730370
I find the Kobolds to be fun as they are. I wasn't around before their transition but I enjoy the "scaly goblin that worships/relates to dragons" to have interesting roles to play and is a good foil to the reptile brained lizardfolk
>>
>>52730249
Need to? Probably not, but they'd do it anyway to steal weapons, valuables like jewelry and gold, other magical items, etc. Might be a cool way to introduce the encounter. Why when the goblins organize their heists and raids do they never steal any food?
>>
>>52730399
As a GM I ruled no tiefling or dragonborn because I'm not shoehorning demon/dragon elements into my campaign simply because my players want to be edgelords. It's essentially the players railroading the adventure themselves
>>
File: shining dragon.png (93KB, 352x446px) Image search: [Google]
shining dragon.png
93KB, 352x446px
>>52730446
>>
>>52729938
Magic item that allows them to cast Nystul Arcane Aura and illusions
>>
>>52730349
>Obviously, but someone who chooses to make a living of dungeon-plunging and dragon-slaying by definition does not "prefer to avoid violence"

Nothing about adventurers requires them to prefer violence at all. Stop demanding that everyone roleplay every character as you would like.

>Unless the dragonborn dogcatcher plans on sitting it out every time the party initiates a fight, he actively seeks violence.

In over 20 years of DMing and playing, one thing I'm sure of is that most adventurers, at worst, passively collide with violence and are quite happy getting through without it. And that's ignoring the fact that many campaigns are more adventure finding you than you finding adventure.
>>
>>52730399
you don't actually have to include whinging and whining if you have tieflings
they come from a campaign setting in which literal devils walking around are irrelevant
>>
>>52730446
I fucking hate that DnD doesn't have a variety ruleset that states that Dragonborn and all the other dumb shit is extra. Some players just assume that if it's written in player handbook then the GM must have accepted it in his campaign.

I utilize DnD for more concise down-to-earth medieval adventures with fantasy elements. I'm fine with magic, I'm fine with different monster races that plague the land. I'm not fine with Final Fantasy style of variety sandbox bullshit where every fucking place is populated with a randomized group of races from the varying DnD resources.
>>
>>52730488
>I fucking hate that DnD doesn't have a variety ruleset that states that Dragonborn and all the other dumb shit is extra

Are you retarded?

>lhey don't exist in every worid of D&D, and
even where they are found. they are less widespread than dwarves. elves. halflings. and humans.
>>
How's 5e at running Eberron? Or should we stick to 4e or 3.5e?
>>
>>52730538
Running one (soon to be two) Eberron games and it runs great. I've been using homebrewed crafting rules but will be switching to a variant of the recent Downtime UA soon. Honestly even with magic items up for sale, 5e is flexible enough that things don't get too crazy.
>>
>>52730488
Ya, it's a bit annoying I have to point out meme races aren't allowed. I actually allow everything in Volos besides yuan-ti in my games because they all have complex RP possibilities but Dragonborn and Tiefling are simply lazy holdovers with no real substance
>>
>>52729889
One dude in my Adventure League game is getting on my nerves.
His main catchphrases are 'blood for the blood god,' 'heresy,' and 'you can never be in the wrong plane to have a Vietnam flashback.'
A halfing rogue player that joined two sessions ago is borderline Kender at some points though she always insists on being stealthy and going in someplace first before coming back and telling us what we saw so we end up spending about ten minutes discussing what to do while that guy in particular is like 'I just wanna go in and kill stuff.'
>>
Alright so if I had a Variant Half-Elf Swashbuckler 17/Battle Master 3 with Booming Blade + Shield
and the standard half-elf point buy build of

STR:8
DEX:16
CON:14
INT:10
WIS:12
CHA:16

What is better?
>capping my DEX and CHA and having the lucky feat.

>Capping my DEX getting my CHA to 18, getting the lucky feat and the martial adept feat.
>>
>>52730564
Sweet, good to hear. Have you been running your games with the UA content?

And do you think 5e still keeps to the spirit of that campaign setting?
>>
What's the best way to capture a druid? Every time we corner the fucker he wildshapes into an Earth Elemental and just sinks into the floor.
>>
>>52730721
Ask your DM if there exists a magical manacle of some sort that prevents that sort of thing.
>>
>>52730721
Get the monk to combo punch him into the air a la Tekken and set up a non-organic/living surface underneath for him to fall on.
>>
>>52730682
I run with the Eberron UA (though I make the races a tad stronger), allow a lot of other UA for class options, Volo's for goblinoids and such, and a sprinkle of homebrew here and there. Honestly the core of the system runs Eberron just fine, even runs it great if you're flexible as a DM to allow more action heroics.
>>
>>52730743
This has actually come up on our games. Can the Monk push them up or at least diagonal away from him?
>>
>>52730538
Running Eberron out of 3e is like running Dark Sun or Spelljammer out of 2e, possible but a lot of the charm is mechanical in nature. Probably allowing magic items to be bought and crafted would help.
>>
File: bookkeeping.png (21KB, 779x350px) Image search: [Google]
bookkeeping.png
21KB, 779x350px
In almost a decade of having a checkbook I think I've balanced it maybe twice. Conversely I log, document, and balance my coin every time I part with even a few cp for a beggar. Does this make me autistic or just a moron?
>>
>>52730758
If you've got the feature/trait for it I don't see why not. I feel like empowering players and encouraging creativity requires you to sometimes allow them to do what they think is cool but reasonable given evidence and a well-worded argument for it, and then moving on from there.
>>
>>52730767
Its just the nature of the beast.
>>
>>52730366
>Oh, X raped my mom so I have these weird powers
>Tieflings
>Dragonborn
>>52730399
>a hybrid race
They aren't officially hybrids. You can complain about their official lore. It's very complainable. Or you can make up your own lore. But don't complain about your made up lore. I don't want to hear it.
>>
File: 1481052104078.jpg (69KB, 609x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481052104078.jpg
69KB, 609x720px
>>52730366
>There is no reason to have those meme races in a setting. "Oh, X raped my mom so I have these weird powers" is not an interesting background. I'd much rather have monster races since it makes for better RP

2/10 bait I replied
>>
File: Monk Push.png (36KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
Monk Push.png
36KB, 500x414px
>>52730776
>>52730758
>>52730743
Apparently even Crawford supports being able to push someone diagonally away from you. Which is weird for him but now I guess I have something top support Tekken Juggle Combo people
>>
If I feed a healing potion to someone taking death saves, do they spring back to life?
>>
>>52730751
>>52730760
Good stuff, really looking forward to running and playing games with 5e then. Thanks bros.
>>
>>52730906
Short answer yes

Long answer they are at 0hp when making death saving throws, anything that brings them to even 1hp or above brings them back and resets their saving throws. If they have failed all death saving throws then no they are fucked and have to have a spell cast on them.
>>
>>52730906
>do they spring back to life?
No. Read the PHB.
>>
File: 1490113453099.png (13KB, 349x320px) Image search: [Google]
1490113453099.png
13KB, 349x320px
Just had my first experience with a roll20 group.

>Start out with the characters happening across each other at a camp fire, there's no reason for it they're all just there.
>Other players refuse to communicate, leaving it as me talking followed by long patches of silence as the DM is apparently unable to push story forward in any way. After ten awkward minutes of bartering over food and wizard A (all three of them are wizards btw) referring to me as a dragonborn when I was a halfling multiple times I finally decide to just say that I'm going to sleep.
>Silence
>A minute later another player declares that he's going to go to sleep.
>The three wizards then begin talking OOC about how cool their spells are and about how powerful and awesome they are.
>DM decides that he should actually do something and spawns 15 goblins on the attack. First turn my Barbarian brandishes his Axe, walks forward and rolls a natural 20, giving me a crit of 19
>"It misses."
>"But I rolled a nat 20?"
>"Yeah, but he's in the forest."
>Ah, makes sense. The remainder of the fight was me being slowly chunked down by a hoard of goblins as the wizards spammed their cantrips (they all took 3 damaging cantrips). Eventually wear them all down.
>Roll a perception check to see if anything else is out there and spy one lone goblin cowering in fear.
>Toss my weapon towards him to scare him off.
>Wizard charges off after it and kills it.
>"Why'd you kill him, he was running away and never attacked us?"
>"He's a goblin."
>Check his character sheet; Lawful Good
>Getting a 22 on a random int check, I'm I become aware that there were 16 goblins, which is a lot! (everyone else failed this btw, even with rolls of 15-18)
>Head off towards port village because that's where the DM wanted us to go. He didn't actually give us a reason, he just told us to have a reason to go there with absolutely zero information about it. He even decided on the name as we were heading there.

1/2
>>
Crossbow Expert or Sharpshooter for ranger?
>>
>>52730968
Sharpshooter every day of the week. Crossbow Expert's only really worth it for a Hand Crossbow and Rangers already have Hunter's Mark and other bonus actions they should be using consistently.
>>
>tfw monk
>tfw GM gives us combat at a 25ft wide, 60ft deep canyon with 10ft wide bridge spanning the gap
>tfw enemies resist every single one of my 15ft knockbacks
That was the biggest blue-ball moment I've had in a long time. I swear this character is going to go out of his way to throw people off cliffs from now on.
>>
>>52730948
Shit DM and retard players, is this what playing on Roll20 is like?
>>
>>52731008
I'm sure over half of semi-current That Guy/DM stories involve Roll20 or something similar.
>>
Just made a Shadow Monk for our round robin campaign. how disappointed will I be in it?
>>
>>52730948
>Dm informs us that we're walking past a farm.
>Decide to go in and tell the owner about the goblins we saw (mainly because no one else in the party had put in any input at all, one spent the whole time describing how he was carving a wooden duck ("I said it was a duck in chat and now it's canon!" x10) and the other giving ominous silence as his distinctive feature is that he doesn't talk. In fact, he doesn't physically do anything by himself either, all he does do is brag OOC and try and start fights.)
>Apparently the farm has a church, an Inn, a mayors house and multiple homes.
>Go into the mayors house 'I knock on the door and try to push it open and step inside'
>Solid minute of silence from the DM, none of the players have said anything since we got into the farm town.
>After a full minute, he replies with 'Hello.'
>Explain that we saw a large group of goblins in the area, the DM instantly goes into this prewritten speech about how the nearby forest was absolutely polluted with evil monsters and was almost completely impossible to navigate, with creatures occasionally coming out and attacking the farm town.
>Ask why they don't just burn it down.
>Silence, after a minute I hear the DM get up from his desk
>Another minute passes and he returns. 'we don't want to do that.'
>Ask why not
>Silence
>Eventually I just cut in questioning if he wants us to find out what's wrong with the forest and solve it
>DM's instantly back on track and sends us off to the forest.
>On the way passed the church we get a blessing from the priest and I donate 5 gold. Entire party makes fun of me for wasting money.
>What followed once we reached the forest was 5 solid hours of fight, rest, fight, fight, rest.
>Stumble across a chest in the forest. I say that my character goes to open it. Team ignores me as they cast multiple detect magics, arcana and history checks on the chest.

2/?
>>
Should I make a Firbolg Deepstalker Ranger or Land Druid?
>>
>>52730948
>Other players refuse to communicate, leaving it as me talking followed by long patches of silence as the DM is apparently unable to push story forward in any way.
I fucking hate this shit so much, I am in a group that is the exact same way. It feels like I am the only player. Nobody has any input and the DM does fuck all to get anything started or get anybody involved and nobody wants to involve themselves.
>>
>>52730948
>>52731047
Eugh boi this isn't lookin good.
>>
File: 0275 - z6X0ly7.jpg (53KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
0275 - z6X0ly7.jpg
53KB, 499x499px
>>52731047
>Silence, after a minute I hear the DM get up from his desk
>Another minute passes and he returns. 'we don't want to do that.'
Holy shit

>On the way passed the church we get a blessing from the priest and I donate 5 gold. Entire party makes fun of me for wasting money.

Holy shit this is fucking hilarious. Keep going.
>>
>>52731060
>It feels like I am the only player. Nobody has any input and the DM does fuck all to get anything started or get anybody involved and nobody wants to involve themselves.
Been there. Literally started DMing to stop me from going crazy from this.
>>
Well I've now learnt the importance of Darkvision when you're the one human in the party. Is the spell worth it as a Wizard pick?
>>
File: 2a2.jpg (27KB, 680x357px) Image search: [Google]
2a2.jpg
27KB, 680x357px
>>52729819
>>
>>52731047
>Go ahead and crack it open and find three amulets inside. I try and pick them up but my team ignores me as they make a system of ten ft poles and mage hand to pull the amulets from the chest, all of them rolling perception checks every step along the way.
>Finally get them out and drauger appear from the side of a cave we're suddenly in because the DM forgot to tell us we went into it.
>"Hey guys it's like the nordic ruins, hehe, do I see a glowing wall with chanting?"
>Silence
>"That's a skyrim reference."
>Fuck you Wizard A
>Fight begins, all three wizards kite around in a circle using Shocking Grasp while I whack on two of them
>Fight ends and the team spends about 20 checks in making sure that they've got all the treasure.
>Loot turns out to be 3 magic amulets and 112 gold.
>Say we should divide the money four ways, 28 each. Instead they decide I'll just waste it so they keep it all.
>Amulets turn out to be 3 +2 int amulets
>At level 3
>For the 3 wizards
>Take a long rest in the cave before heading back out
>5 rounds into next combat, the wizards suddenly decide that they should've changed their prepared spells during their long rest, so instead they swap to exactly what they need mid combat. DM allows it.
>Eventually I've had enough of it so I leeroy jenkins into three Warg's on 15 HP, hoping to die so I can finally be free.
>Wizards hide behind a tree as I get mauled into unconsciousness
>Instead of killing me like wild animals would when they knock a creature out and have nothing else to deal with, the DM decides that all three of them randomly decide to wander towards where the wizards are hiding before they discover them.

3/4
>>
>>52731047
This is too good.
>>
File: asd.jpg (42KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
42KB, 500x371px
>>52731146
>I'm 2 passes 2 fails on my death saves
>A wolf comes out of the forest and turns into a 20th level druid, saves the wizards by killing all the Wargs in a single turn and healing me back to full.
>Proceeded to scold me for being so foolish as to let fleeing foes leave alive.
>"I've got to go the bathroom."
>Logged off with no intentions of going back.

Any advice for finding a group that's not filled with absolute fuckwits, or has had it's applications flooded already?
>>
>>52731161
I haven't even got a group yet. Seems like you're just playing Russian roulette with an almost fully loaded revolver if you do get in one though. I doubt this anon's game had any red flags when he applied.
>>
>>52731161
Keep trying.
>>
>>52731198
First and last time I played on Roll20, I had a really good DM. The only problem was that the rest of the group was super flakey.
>>
>>52731161
Hahaha, holy shit, I shouldn't be laughing but goddamn you had a bad run of luck.
Do people like that actually exist? I know of fucking annoying MtG players but shit son, that's somehow even worse.
>>
File: Untitled.png (53KB, 1136x184px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
53KB, 1136x184px
>>52731161
There's a game for everyone
>>
>>52731161
Try again. If you find a good player, ask them if they want to team up, then continue the search.
>>
>>52730948
>Expecting a good campaign, a good DM, good players and overall a good time out of an interface designed to work against the player

Roll20 and online DnD as a whole was a mistake.

Randomly throws everyone at a campfire? Wanna know how my DM's campaign started?

We all regained consciousness in a pile of dead bodies stuffed in some workroom. Around each of our necks were matching necklaces. The first thing we do obviously, is open the door. Which leads into a searing light that dealt 1d6 damage. Immediately we need to figure out how to get the hell out of there, which involved communication and sharing little tidbits on what we do remember.

None of that campfire bullshit.
>>
>>52731326
You had a good DM who worked to craft an interesting scenario for you and the players were willing to communicate and roll with each other and you as a team.

The other guy had shitfisting drooling retards as the DM and players.
>>
>>52731359
As far as I see it, what seems to be intended for people in rural areas to play DnD is instead infested with idiots too autistic and retarded to step foot outside of their homes, blaming their immaturity on anxiety and depression.

And that story's why I'd rather shoot myself in the foot and play Sorcerer over Wizard any day.
>>
Speaking of Roll 20, how come absolutely no one plays a lawful good character, or even a lawful character of any kind. For every 10 chaotic's I'll see a neutral good be proposed. I'm yet to see a single Lawful Good offered up. The closest I got was a Lawful Evil's whose history was;

>Abandoned at birth by his birth parents Valif was found by Cultists and was raised to hate everyone and everything. When he turned 17 he was forced into a suit of armor that seemed to be made out of the very darkness itself and cursed him to never to take it off unless they die or the curse is removed. While they slumbered Valif killed most of them but 5 of them escaped now he hunts them down with vicious tenacity. Despite all the hate he found one tiny light in the form of his pet falcon whom he named Captain. Standing at 8' tall and completely encased in black armor the mans features are a complete mystery, though the only part of him that is visible is his long shining silver like hair.

>>52731382
Ed Gee?
>>
>>52731382
I just can't convince my coworkers to play so I said fuck it and made an account. That fact that I apparently need a fucking webcam to play D&D with half of these people makes me worried about how hideous the roll20 base is.

>>52731403
>Speaking of Roll 20, how come absolutely no one plays a lawful good character
Is this why I never get picked up?
>>
>>52731430
I got a PM in the past cussing me out for being stupid enough to propose that I play as a lawful good rogue. Apparently just the mention alone of something that's not the same chaotic neutral rogue that's been done a thousand times is enough to send people into a fury.
>>
>>52731161
Can't believe i would say it but try the lfg reddit.
Tried it two times instead of roll20 and now I'm in two solid games.
One D&D where we are at level 15 and the gm's goal is to make this enjoyable. So when we ended few thousand miles from our location due to teleport Empyrian chelleged us to football game.
Roll20 on the other side is complete shit show and the few good games are hell to get into.
>>
>>52730940
"This unconsciousness ends if you regain any hit points."
>>
>>52731403
>Speaking of Roll 20, how come absolutely no one plays a lawful good character,

Because then your PC is collectively owned by a bunch of strangers, its why its rare to see clerics, because everyone feels like they own your character.
>>
>>52731481
Please explain this.
>>
what do you guys think about alignments. Should they be removed in the next edition of DnD?
>>
File: Renenet Region.jpg (882KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Renenet Region.jpg
882KB, 1024x768px
would you play in this hexcrawl sandbox campaign?
>>
>>52731485
LG got progressively more idealized. In 1e, it was a normal alignment, that the majority of a populace could have with proper leadership. Then became alternately worshiped and reviled as almost synonymous with paladin. It was recast as this morally perfect, flawless, unrealistic ideal, that no organization could have. Now, if you play LG in a pickup games, you are the party bitch, because you must please everyone at all times or they will have a rage meltdown.

Just don't play LG in pickup games.
>>
>>52731532
Where they are (as a legacy character descriptor with as close to no mechanical impact as possible) is just fine.
>>
>>52731485
Not >>52731481 but I think it's an example of whoever has the least interest in a relationship (the group, in this case) has the reigns. If you're trying to play the LG in a party of relative disinterest, they can comply on a whim. If they don't, no skin off their back; but for you? Easily leads to "why would the LG adventure with these people?"
>>
File: Renenet Hex.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Renenet Hex.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
>>52731539
>>
>>52731532
people just need to stop being autistic, but that's asking a lot.

>pic
wew lad
>>
>>52731532
There will be no next edition. The Fifth Edition is the final, ultimate incarnation of D&D.
>>
>>52731554
lol
>>
>>52731554
kek
>>
>>52731551
No, I'd just play a vidya gaem if the DM was so idea poor that I was simply clearing monster lairs with no overarching story.
Why would I spend 3/4 of my evening watching 3 other turbo autists spend time rolling dice when I could Skyrim or something similar?
>>
>>52731554
nice bait
>>
>>52731551
minus spoilers, sure

why are there empty hexes tho
>>
>>52731543
>if you play LG in a pickup games, you are the party bitch, because you must please everyone at all times or they will have a rage meltdown.
I understand. Now I want to do it even more though.
>>
File: Renenet.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Renenet.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
>>52731575
Get rid off the hexes then and create a campaign.
>>
>Playing alignments
I'm past the newbie stage of Dungeons and Dragons, I play characters instead of alignments.
>>
I'm in the middle of building a nautical-themed campaign, and so far it's been hell figuring out rules for handling boats.

What makes it worse is one player (alone in his opinion) doesn't want to do it, but won't just admit it. He basically shit talks anything and everything that isn't Vanilla PHB Forgotten Realms, and tries to convince the rest of us Enlarge/Reduce should let him rip a ship apart by shrinking individual parts of it.

It's spiritually taxing, to say the least.
>>
>>52731602
Hag coven is corrupting the forest. Try to get allies with nearby creatures and tribes to stop the Blights. Get some secret info about them from the exiled dryad.
>>
>>52731551
>>52731602
>Kuo-Tao
How is it possible to be even more lazy
>>
>>52731602
What's the scale even supposed to be?
Is the city 20 miles wide, or it in on the edge of a forest so filthy with monsters that the ideal solution is to just set it all afire?
>>
>>52731613
Drow?
>>
>>52731616
we don't want to do that
>>
>>52731613
are you referring to the spelling? Because Bullywub.
>>
>>52731613
i thought you prepare these crawls at random not with a lot of time and design
>>
>>52731646
And "parliament".
>>
>>52731637
>>52731658
talking about spellign
>>
>>52731672
I was too distracted by the shitty font and the fact that the Sahuagin domain was this nice village on dry land to much care
>>
>>52731161

Here's what I do:

Evaluate the GM's game posting. One or two typos over several paragraphs is okay, but if he can't be bothered to proofread it's a bad sign. Beware any mentions of pop culture and inappropriate slang. Use of memes, "lol" or emojis means you turn around and walk away immediately. Also avoid games where the GM claims to have been working on the setting for years.

If that passes snuff, check the other players that the GM has already accepted. Ideally you'll be able to read their application. The type of players that he okays says a lot about the GM's expectations for the game, to say nothing about the kind of person you'll have to deal with in the party.
>>
>>52730721
Moonbeam spell
>>
File: Map.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
so I'm almost done with my map for a homebrew campaign I'm running. Just need to do the detail work as well as properly place the towns and all the necessary descriptors like names.

What do you think?
>>
>>52731161
I've found four really good games on Roll20, and two garbage ones. You just got unlucky imo. Next time you join a game, check to see how long each user has been playing to see if they actually know what they're doing or will just be annoying fuckwits.
>>
>>52731326
You're an idiot. Online gaming is fine. 50% of groups I've been in were good, the rest were bland. I've only tried one bad online game.
>>
>Dragon captures player
>Dragon wants to have a talk with the player before he kills him
>Player will just DD out and run away at the first chance

How to prevent? It's just a verbal, can't really have a chat when you're gagged.
>>
>>52731718
Did you use an app for that?
>>
>>52731751
photoshop + inkarnate
>>
>>52731602
Spider Parliament raises taxes on every monster in the region to pay for a huge Web Castle for the Spider Prime Minister. Also, they are going to lay 100,000,000 eggs and need moniez to build a Spider University to eggucate their offspring. The other monsters now have to get gold to pay off the spiders or the Spider Tax Collectors will destroy them. The spiders have magic potions that make it impossible to resist their spider poison.
>>
>>52731749
Dragon has counterspell, an item that lets them do it, or some magic item that exudes an antimagic field. Dragon hoards contain all sorts of dumb shit like that.
>>
>>52731539
Hell yeah. Do it west marches style.
>>
File: Michael Moorcock.jpg (28KB, 432x366px) Image search: [Google]
Michael Moorcock.jpg
28KB, 432x366px
>>52731608
>and so far it's been hell figuring out rules for handling boats.
People who want to enjoy 5e aren't going to be attracted to your sophisticated rules for "making a boat go in the direction you want it to".

Try Pathfinder.
>>
>>52731718
I find it hilarious that the peoples of your world avoid building cities on estuaries and natural harbors like Indians avoid toilets.
"We COULD build this city on the estuary, but hey let's build it 60 miles upriver for no raisin."
>>
>>52731793
read nigga.

>Just need to do the detail work AS WELL AS PROPERLY PLACE THE TOWNS
>>
>>52731772
> items
Enjoy hitting yourself in the long run because players will totally kill a dragon for that shit.
>>
>>52731608
>figuring out rules for handling boats.
skill checks when shit happens?
>>
>>52731793
Are you talking about the one closest to the bottom? If so he could be putting Dwarves there.
>>
>>52731452
By now you've learned they don't come back life, since they weren't dead. I also wouldn't call it springing since they're still prone.
>>
>>52731772
>>52731749
Limiting player agency and railroading? Just accept that fact that you are a shit DM and quit TTRPG forever.
>>
>>52731804
You asked what I thought. I thought the town placement was shit. Is the "town" in the blue area between the branching/rebranchingwtf river area the Gay Elven Glade?

Because it screams Gay Elven Glade.
>>
>>52730721
Replace the floor, preferably with a tame undead monstrosity a-la wall of corpses but made entirely of humanoid arms: cut of, preserved and merged together into a mindless melding of flesh with palms and fingers protruding from it.

> bastard sinks into a floor
> gets torn apart by hundreds of undead hands
serves him right
>>
>>52731825
No. It's gay forest gnomes
>>
What's a good name for an Orc that a bored Wizard captured and decided to try teach magic to as an experiment?
>>
>>52731749
Sounds immensely gay and sadistic. The PC DDing out is what you WANT to happen, so you can continue with the fucking campaign, or else simply kill the PC, but don't rub in the forced failure like a douche.
>>
>>52731845

Porkins.
>>
>>52731845
Get a more original character idea because Orc Wizard's overdone as shit, incredibly weak and not the slightest bit funny anymore.

Other then that Gruk Book-Reader.
>>
>>52731688
Druid doesn't have shapechanger subtype.

0/10, try again
>>
>>52731825
No idea why elves presumably living in forests is worth bitching about.
>>
>>52731852
Everything has been done before.
>>
>>52731825
Every setting has a gay elven glade. Explore the whole world and eventually every DM will run out of ideas and throw in a gay elven glade.

>>52731867
I think he's a salty fuck because there's at least 3 people a day talking about their (Half-)Orc Wizard. It's one of those Class Race combos that's pretty overdone, without being good.

At least Dwarf Clerics, Elf Wizards and Halfling Thieves are good at what they do.
>>
Trying to plan some interesting encounters for my game tomorrow. The party is travelling first to a mountain and then a mine that they uncovered on a map last session.

I'd planned for the mountain to have a reclusive demon worshipping cult or something of that nature and the mine to possibly be overrun with bandits. There is also a druidic tribe in the local area. Any inspiration?
>>
>>52731861
Honestly I have more trouble with the fact that ALL the trees grow in one single forest plus a small area that's ostensibly just been cut off from the Big Forest, everything else is fucking plains, except for the single faggot glade/swamp forest whatever that's growing on a river island.

This is the kind of map a 10 yr old would draw with crayon after seeing a map in a fantasy game ONCE, and the decent graphics doesn't obscure this even in the slightest. It's the same 4 mountains placed in wildly different sizes.
>>
>>52731845
Steven Esteban Primrose
>>
>>52731872
My setting has no Elves or Faeries of any sort whatsoever.
>>
>>52731888
My setting has no humans. It's fun.
>>
>>52731879
Eh, so long as its better than the Game of Thrones or WHFB I don't usually mind. Though good points.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>52731718
My favorite part of this shit map is the long ass river flowing TOWARDS the mountain highlands before going "NOPE" and turning into the ocean, after ignoring the ocean/sea for likely hundreds of miles.

Just go buy a fantasy map.
>>
>>52731899
I have bad news for you son.
>>
>>52731892
I already loathed humans in post TSR editions (nothing even slightly necessary about them and they strike me as just a cheap, unearned way to make the setting more easy to relate to, a la the irritating as hell way that fantasy settings used to transport a normal person from the modern world to act as the protagonist and be a point of view type) but vhumans have got me fucking INFURIATED with them.
>>
>>52731821
Lol, he's unconscious at the mercy of an angry dragon its either a) don't wake up fade to black you are dead or b) wake up get some exposition then die.
>>52731846
>Not highlighting the evilness of a villain
>Implying you should save every Player from their fuckups
>>
>>52731888
>>52731892
My setting has no sentient creatures.
>>
File: 1806268-willow_warwick_davies.jpg (63KB, 431x266px) Image search: [Google]
1806268-willow_warwick_davies.jpg
63KB, 431x266px
>>52731914
>othing even slightly necessary about them and they strike me as just a cheap, unearned way to make the setting more easy to relate to
As oppose to everyone playing Le Stereotypical Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Halfling or God Forbid some furry abomination.

Some players just want to play a character without appealing to your fantasy race fetishes.
>>
>>52731915
>Not highlighting the evilness of a villain

Sounds truly pathetic. At least its not killing/torturing/raping/soul draining family/friends put in his backstory, but the narrative should be about the PCs, not the monsters.

>Implying you should save every Player from their fuckups

Letting a PC use a fuckin spell for its intended purpose isn't "saving him." And I already said, go ahead, kill him. Just don't publicly masturbate about how bad ass your alter ego is.
>>
>>52731927
We aren't talking about what's setting around your table.
>>
Any tips for CoS character? Going to start one next Saturday. I heard a lot of tragidy can only be solve with high level Cleric spell?
>>
File: 1492281955248.jpg (193KB, 1000x756px) Image search: [Google]
1492281955248.jpg
193KB, 1000x756px
>>52731933
I'm going to make them all sit there and listen to a 20minute speech about Dragon purity. The whole time I'm speaking I'm going to be rubbing my dick under the table thinking about that one really fucking salty anon on /tg/.

Hopefully I last the entire time, wish me luck.
>>
>>52731930

>As oppose to everyone playing Le Stereotypical Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Halfling or God Forbid some furry abomination.

Admitting you are a bad roleplayer is not the best way to serve me a sick burn, anon.

Humanfags are quite possibly the worst. There is no race fandom more entitled than humanfags. They demand their race to be the strongest mechanically and for every class; they demand that their race likewise be the strongest and most prevalent setting wise.

Better to nip that shit in the bud.
>>
>>52731941
It's tragedy; some of it is good for character building; the tragedy you should most worry about is your tragic, early death. Living is the real Good Ending.
>>
>>52731914
Basically I wanted to try and put the "Fantasy" back into high fantasy. Also made it easier to balance humans because I give a free level 1 feat that has to tie into their background in a reasonable way. The race with the highest population is Halflings because they give birth to at least twins 90% of the time.

I tried to mix things up a bit and get more then Human Fighter with a bow, Human Fighter with a sword and Human Fighter/Warlock. 3 games in a row like that and they think this is the best one they've played because I pushed them playing something different and made them tie the feat into their background.
>>
>>52731948
>They demand their race to be the strongest mechanically and for every class; they demand that their race likewise be the strongest and most prevalent setting wise.
You have actually sat down and played this game, right?
>>
>>52731962
Not him but he's kinda right. The free feat at level 1 blows everyone else out the water and I don't think WotC have made a setting without humans being the main characters in at least 17 years.
>>
>>52731961
So now they are Elven Fighter with a bow, Orc Fighter with a Sword, and Tiefling Fighter/Warlock?

Good job.
>>
>>52731969
Drizzt
>>
>>52730996
My barbarian piledriver DDT'd a lizard king off a 200ft cliff edge the other day, shit was dope
Fall damage is weaksauce in 5e though so we both survived (technically), so the DM fiat'd a 30/70% damage split because of the action to finish him off
>>
>>52731927
My setting has no setting.
>>
>>52731974
I'm talking about the entire setting in general. Also I've only read a few of the Forgotten Realms novels but he's normally a side character outside of his Trilogy from what I've seen.
>>
>>52731962
Of course.

Social experiment #1: Ban the variant human. Observe bitter rage tears.

Social experiment #2: Replace humans as the "ubiquitous up and comer dominant etc. etc." race with, say, fucking anything. Observe bitter rage tears.

Works like a charm. Humanfags gotta be the best, both for every character combo and in the setting.
>>
>>52731977
You and about 2/3 of /tg/ have no game.
>>
>>52731973
Seems like a direct improvement. The current setup in 5e is (rare races excepted) a choice between flavor (if you prefer nonhumans) and power, which is a shitty trade in all sorts of ways, but especially so when one considers that tons of people also prefer humans as flavor to begin with.
>>
>>52731985
This is pretty true. Normal Human isn't even that bad, it's just one of the weaker options and that pisses off people who seem unable to detach themselves from playing a Human who does lots of damage.

Dragonborn and Drow are both PHB races that are shittier then Humans but no one complains about that.
>>
>>52731872
My setting doesn't have gays.
>>
>>52731995
Mine does. They can get happily married.
>>
>>52731974
Drizz't is in FR and of the Sword Coast partition (which is sorta weird licensing/IP wise), both of which are humanocentric.

I think the last non humanocentric setting was by TSR, Cormanthyr or Council of Wyrms probably.
>>
>>52729437
1.) sounds like you had to beg for players. Picked up one that does not want to play but has to, to stay with the group/person playing. Then makes a ass of themselves to end the game. Have to say been there/seen it to many times in the past
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>52731991
>>52731991
The whole party in my campaign (in it's second year) is Vhuman, with different subcultures. Our Vhuman Arcane Trickster took Keen Mind at 1st level. At 6th level, no one has GWF or Polearm Master, and noone has a 20 in any stat.

Maybe you just play with R20 shitlords.
>>
>>52731878
Get them caught in a snow storm
>>
>>52732018
The only person who could have 20 in a stat at level 6 is a fighter.
>>
Races banned in my campaign

VHuman
Dwarf
Halfling
Thiefling
Half-Orc
everything that starts with A
>>
>>52732029
or your mom at dicksucking

>hurr durr what is stat rolling
>>
>>52732001
Cool. Reproduction is pretty important in my setting. The immortal souls combine and live in through offspring.
>>
>>52732034
Look I can get banning races you don't like and most of those are fair. Why no Gnome or Dragonborn though on the list though? Also why Halfling and Dwarf.

>>52732046
A variant rule I'll assume someone's not using unless notified otherwise?

>>52732047
That's actually cool. Any more details?
>>
>>52732034
>dwarf
Oof, why's that?
>>
>>52730116
Hate to say it but 4th ed marking did it's job. Kind of. Played 4th like 3 times and ever time the new player picked the "cool" dragonborn, class warlord. It was sad after 2-3 play togethers and they always wanted to change it out. For both were weak souse. That was marking not understanding the game and driving new players away
>>
>>52731749
Make sure the PC is securely bound. Send minions to track the PC down since it only has a 500 foot range. Assuming you haven't previously ruled you can teleport out of clothing, they come out still bound, so there's some tension.
>>
>>52732056
I just report everyone that picks Dragonborn on roll 20 so they get a lifelong ban on online DnD.
>>
File: Flesh+Blood.jpg (36KB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
Flesh+Blood.jpg
36KB, 500x214px
>>52731878
Make the druids a cult who venerate ferocious and dangerous (but not Evil) Yetis who protect ancient forbidden ruins.
Have the "Bandits" be ruthless mercenary adventurers trying to kill the Yetis and recover relics.
Not one of the 3 groups is actually "Evil" but none of them are "nice and friendly" at all.
>>
>>52732018

Wow, an all vhuman game sure showed me!
>>
>>52731902
hmm, you're right. The course of the river needs revamping. I just wanted a gnomen glade surrounded by water in that area.
>>
>>52728862
FUCKING KEKE

Rape is the most babby thing to get triggered by.
>>
>>52732056
I've been playing 4e since the beginning and the only tendencies I see there are strikers.
>>
File: Syndrome.jpg (19KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Syndrome.jpg
19KB, 240x320px
>>52732076
I'll give them the most spectacular heroics anyone's ever seen! *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...

...*no one* will be.
>>
No variant human and everybody gets a feat at level 1. Problems?
>>
>>52732084
Rape is NOT something I condone in my campaigns, unless its a setting that is supposed to be turbo grim-n-edgy.

Pretty much only thing I can think of that qualifies is 40k or zombie apocalypse, since a major theme tends to be in both that humanity is totally irredeemable by modern, sensitive civilized standards, so that when the end comes, you are tempted to cheer for the daemons or zombies who are come to finish everyone off finally.

Plus they are normies.
>>
>>52732076
All your accomplishing is reducing everyone's "strength" by a feat, and giving them pointy ears, tails and some rote background Wizards came up with.
Bravo.
Players lacking the imagination to make a Vhuman something other than a munchkin aren't going to impress anyone as a Gnome.
>>
>>52732053
Basically the central theme of the setting is balance, circle of life and reproduction. The creator god only created a handful of mortals (Souls). The souls were designed to merge and pass on a sliver of themselves which will eventually grow to a fully fledged soul. But the parents will still have given up a little part of themselves. In the afterlife, it is said that the souls will once again merge with their ancestors, forming a divine angel.

Thus, for a bloodline to die out is a very dire event. The angel falls, and becomes a devil.
>>
>>52732135
What about Gingers?
>>
>>52732076
But then you can kick his ass when he does something stupid instead of him going full Munchkin at level 2 and Sharpshooter Action surging the whole party.

I seriously had a human player who, as soon as all the other races said a joke about human cities. Pulled out his longbow and did that to reduce every other party member to zero HP. I kicked him of course, but it was the most retarded thing I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1477236386477.jpg (77KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
1477236386477.jpg
77KB, 500x490px
greentext your GM habits

>if someone picks a meme race I make sure that they die during the campaign
>if someone plays a character that isn't their real life gender I frequently curse them with a ring of gender reversal or some other bullshit
>if someone keeps metagaming I let them draw from a deck of many things they found as loot from some powerful enemy. Every card in the dack has been replaced by 22 copies of The Tower.
>if someone doesn't play according to the alignment they put on their character sheet they will from now on fail all their insight checks on NPCs because they are clearly incapable of understanding the distinction between evil, neutral and good. If you're an autist incapable of understanding human morality and emotions then you can't determine the intentions of NPCs
>if you donate or spend money so you have a neat looking currency tab on your character sheet I will from now on only pay your character in copper coins that can not be exchanged to gold pieces at any trader
>>
>>52732147
That had nothing to do with him being a Variant Human.
>>
>>52732112
Make sure to buff regular humans with a language + tool / instrument proficiency.
>>
>>52732154
You're a shit GM, would not play with. Would not recommend.
>>
>>52732160
+1 in all stats is already broken. Nice buff you got there idiot.
>>
File: 1378782369896.png (257KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1378782369896.png
257KB, 500x366px
>>52732154
Your DMing habits are "shitposts on /tg/ after being thrown out of R20 sessions".
>>
>>52732156
Still, no other character could've killed the Cleric and Sorcerer that easy in one round.

I only allow normal human with +2 Skills in my game now.
>>
>>52732154
My players don't put an alignment on their sheet. They just play, and occasionally I will tell them what their new alignment is depending on how they behave.
>>
File: 1377323612135.png (64KB, 319x304px) Image search: [Google]
1377323612135.png
64KB, 319x304px
>>52732164
>+1 in all stats is already broken
>>
>>52732163
mad

>>52732165
bad
>>
>>52732154
My Habits
>provide a decent challenge with serious risks
>present an interesting setting
>talk with problematic players so they stop, if this fails I drop them.
>>
>>52732173
Saddened that there are people like you who exist in my hobby.

>Intentionally trying to sabotage your players just out of vindictive behavior.
> (You)

I mean, Unless you are a woman. Then I'd accept this behavior. Since you're a bitch :^)
>>
>>52731850
Why not the other piggy?
Voort Ssa'Bring
>>
>>52732169
let me guess. The average player is either NG, CG, or CN, right?
>>
>>52732164
Hahahaha
>>
>>52732124

>All your accomplishing is reducing everyone's "strength" by a feat

You are doing a great job proving my point, incidentally, that denying people vhuman (a tiny variant rule blurb) is somehow stealing everyone's "strength by a feat." If the entitlement mentality is SO frikkin strong that everyone must have a feat, just remove the temptation and hand out feats. If that makes the no brainer best-race-for-every-situation option no longer a no brainer, well fucking good.

>Players lacking the imagination to make a Vhuman something other than a munchkin aren't going to impress anyone as a Gnome.

I find it intriguing that you immediately jump to notions of munchkinry, "reducing strength by a feat," imagination, etc. I didn't say that humanfags are munchkins (though you are certainly *reacting* like one), or that its about "impressing me," its about entitlement mentality players who demand that *all worlds* cater to their tastes.

That's what floors me -- the pure, unvarying, demanding attitudes of humanfags. That they must have their way, every time, and every game.
>>
File: 1367766968523.png (30KB, 238x231px) Image search: [Google]
1367766968523.png
30KB, 238x231px
>>52732185
I just run my campaign with an iron fist. Looks like you run your campaign with a sloppy cunt.
>>
>>52732191
What are you implying?
>>
>>52732206
>passive aggressive faggotry
>iron fist
No, you don't, you run it like a soccer mom for her teenage boys.
>>
File: thumb.png (80KB, 164x200px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.png
80KB, 164x200px
>>52732184
Mine
>No Alignments
>No "Planar Wheel"
>Dangerous "Demons" or Outer Beings, but no "Gods of Evil, lel"
>Seriously, Evil Gods is some silly fantasy trope
>Non-Tolkienesqe settings, never use premade
>No playable races or classes that start with Dark/Shadow/Death/Blood/Edge/whatever.
>>
>>52732214
I'm implying that alignment is broken since the way the average DnD campaign currently works is that players will always have a tendency towards these three alignments. Mainly because 90% of players have a certain degree of self-interest because they want loot. The moment a player starts to think about profit they will move away from any L alignment.
>>
File: 1490880415482.jpg (237KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1490880415482.jpg
237KB, 1080x1349px
>>52732219
did I hit a nerve turdboy? Maybe you should go back playing your DnD "adventures" with your pet dog you fucking clown. Pushovers like you give GMs a bad rep.
>>
>>52732243
He's right, you are a passive agressive faglord.
You "punish" shitty behavior by inflicting your own shitty behavior.
>>
>>52732226
>Seriously, Evil Gods is some silly fantasy trope

Isn't it more the norm than the exception historically speaking?
>>
>>52732253
>historically speaking

nigga what? Gods aren't real. There is no history for something that is imaginary.
>>
If I cast Moonbeam on someone does it 2d10 when I first cast it and then 2d10 at the start of theirs, or does it being cast on them not count as them entering it's space?
>>
>>52732253
in pulp fantasy history yes.
In actual mythological history the pantheons did not have "Evil Gods".
Set, Loki, Hades, Ares.
None of them were Evil Gods. Some were unbelievable assholes, but so were Zeus and Odin.

the closest they had to Evil Gods were "Monsters of the Apocalypse" and those were feared but not worshipped. The idea of "priests of Fenris" is just dumb.
>>
>>52732243
>>52732206
>iron fist
>let's players play what he doesn't want to play and secretly punishes them instead of creating a campaign where those choices are disallowed.

U wot m8?
>>
>>52732271
Anyone who doesn't behave is subjected to his faggotry turned up to 11, he's made that pretty clear.
As a player you're supposed to guess what's provoking his shitty behavior. think of it as a game within a game. Sort of like "Operation" but with Autism in place of a buzzer.
>>
>>52732266
You could semantic gymnastic it to be the history of the stories/records of the imaginary.
>>
>>52732184
ABSOLUTELY INSANE
>>
>>52732268
It assumes they haven't left the space at the start of their turn.
>>
>>52732288
Mind you, decent/interesting and "problematic" are all highly subjective and we only have his word on it.

He could be running a Daiperfur campaign set in a brothel for all we know.
>>
>>52732266
Okay, why are gods in fantasy settings acting like many deities are THOUGHT to act "silly," especially the heads of pantheons do IRL?

>>52732269
I don't understand what the distinction has to do with the idea of "evil." Is this just an alignmentless setting (quite fine), or do gods get a free pass from alignment guidelines? Evil gods are totally normal in mythology.
>>
>>52731915
>wake up get some exposition then die.
If he's still going to die, how will the PCs get any exposition? This doesn't make any sense for anything other than stroking your own ego.
>>
>>52732320
>Evil gods are totally normal in mythology.
Evil Gods are totally normal in Deities and Demigods books for Dungeons and Dragons, and pulp fantasy novels.
They don't exist in actual practiced pagan mythologies.
Set was a desert god who guided Ra's solar barge and just really didn't like Osiris.
>>
>>52732334
This. It'd be one thing if the Dragon was gonna be all "You will fetch X for me, or I will burn down your home village, Bwahahaha!".
No one wants to hear Hannibal Lecture carry on about what a diabolical and brilliant fuck he is.
>>
File: 1491989458982.jpg (30KB, 440x359px) Image search: [Google]
1491989458982.jpg
30KB, 440x359px
>make a tiefling character
>genuinely like him and feel like there could be some fun roleplay opportunities presented
>Only just now learning that everyone hates them and they carry a stigma of terrible players
>>
>>52732359
>They don't exist in actual practiced pagan mythologies.

Okay. So again.

Are you going with an alignmentless setting, or do deities simply get a free pass from alignment in your view? If so, do evil mortals that ascend (if possible) get the same exception?

Fucking tons and tons of RL deities were ascribed acts that would easily be classified as evil.
>>
>>52732397
They can be redeemable. Want to give a rundown on the character?
>>
>>52732397
They carry a stigma in the game world too. They ostracised and prejudged with contempt and mistrust. Usually edgy players pick them because haha evil dood xd
>>
>>52732268
It doesn't do any damage when you first cast it. Anyone in the area you cast it won't take damage until the start of their turn. But they can't avoid going in if it's already on top of them like someone outside the area could.
>>
>>52732397
There are three legit races. Human, Dwarf and Elves (if you're a homosexual). That's it. The rest are literal memes for special snowflake 12 year olds.
>>
>>52732443
Alright. What if I cast it on them, there turn comes around they take the 2d10 and move out. On my next turn I pull them in with Thorn Whip does that count as them entering for the first time in a turn and they take 2d10? And do they take another 2d10 at the beginning of their next?
>>
>>52732397
Nothing wrong with tieflings.

Or I should say, nothing wrong with playing tieflings. I find tieflings themselves to be FUCKING REVOLTING.
>>
>>52732462
This line of thinking stifles all creativity and innovation in fantasy.

Off yourself anytime.
>>
>>52732469
Its per turn, so while one person can't wiggle them back and forth for uber damage, an entire party count have a lot of fun punting them through it on each of their turns.
>>
>>52732477
if someone wants to run a tiefling in my campaign I always tell them that they should pick something else. If they refuse I call them a faggot and kick them.
>>
>>52732482
better be uncreative than a faggot
>>
>>52732469
>>52732443
The wording says "When a creature enters the spell's area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there". So you should be able to move them into it for immediate damage on any turn.

But this begs the question, are they not entering the spell's area on your turn when you cast it? Therefore shouldn't they take immediate damage when you cast it on them?
>>
>>52732407
I always run with Alignmentless settings.
And even stuff like Human sacrifice took place for the benefit of the entire society to appease the Gods, and bestow good fortune; it wasn't some bullshit out of Temple of Doom.

None of the Gods could be trusted not to fuck your shit up on a whim; just ask Job.
>>
File: bigred.jpg (270KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bigred.jpg
270KB, 1600x1200px
>>52732412
>psuedo-homebrew setting, not too far from typical DnD but culture/stigmas/cities and continents.
>Tieflings virtually nonexistent, mostly due to witch hunts
>character is the great shame of a powerful noble family that only got their status because of that "deal with the devil" that they made
>The country is controlled by the church, a church of a made up religion since theres no actual god behind it, they just use it to control the commonfolk
>noble family is aware of this but are extremely ignorant on the nature of their tainted blood/tieflings. Hires a dwarf cleric to purge the demon taint from their child
>obviously not possible, dwarf cleric instead cheers up the neglected child and instills a sense of purpose in him
>child follows the tenents of the dwarf clerics god as he ages
>Now an adult and a paladin of a dwarven god in a human country he leaves his family and country since he cant publicly claim his birthright as he isnt human
>Grinds his horns down so he can wear a normal helmet, wears thicks robes over his armor so he can hide his tail. Accepts that he must appear human, understandably ashamed of his blood but not morose about it.
>Plans to adventure and become so powerful and famous he can be publicly accepted by his family
>pic related is how i envision him

>>52732415
Of course, its the real life stigma thats the bad part.
>>
>>52732500
From the way Crawford talks about it. Creature has to move into beam, doesn't matter if it's forced or whatever but once per turn it takes damage from moving in.

If the beam moves into or is summoned onto a creature. No damage. So you can punt it back in and out, but you can't move the beam back and forth over them.
>>
File: olgafassorted_fruits.jpg (225KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
olgafassorted_fruits.jpg
225KB, 760x596px
>>52732509
>a church of a made up religion since theres no actual god behind it, they just use it to control the commonfolk
How does this even work in a setting with Dwarven Clerics (and presumably other Clerics) who can cast spells?

Are the "clerics" of this religion Wizards or just incredible con-artists?
>>
>>52732506
Then yes, by definition, you don't have evil gods, or evil anything, in a setting without evil. So... good job.

And likewise, if getting a benefit makes an evil act not evil, then you should have no problem with 99% of evil gods.
>>
File: 1492081837219.png (12KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1492081837219.png
12KB, 259x224px
>>52732529
Not a clue, i didnt make the setting and we havent learned whatever mysterious entity is absorbing all the prayers or whatever it is gods do because as far as the church is concerned they arent worshipping any actual god.
>>
>>52732521
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016
I see. I'm going to have to try to play pingpong with my druid friend the next time we meet.
>>
>>52732529
I mean, it would be easier to just worship a Trickster God and pretend it's a noble faith than to make a "pretend faith" in a setting with Real Active Gods and Clerics.
>>
>>52732549
Evil is highly subjective almost always.
By having an Evil God, you make Evil an Absolute, and no longer subjective.

"Devil Worship" is just some shit the Christians made up to justify setting fire to a bunch of old-timey religions that were competing.

Again, if you actually read up on mythologies, they significantly lack worshipped Gods of Evil. Usually they just had some horrid beastie/giants the Gods would keep at bay.
>>
I've got an ASI coming up, think I can convince my GM to let me get away with this:
>pick the Tavern Brawler feat for proficiency with improvised weapons
>get grapple hook and at least 20ft of rope (taking into consideration the 20/60 range on most thrown weapons)

Would this combo allow for a ranged grapple (or proficiency with such)?
Consider that in the description for Tavern Brawler it says:
> When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target
I wonder if I could "reel in" the grappled target on a success. Or at least pull them prone on a successful strength contest.
>>
>>52732555
>in a setting with Real Active Gods

I'm thankful that I don't see this garbage... ever. Despite that in /tg/ people beat you over the head of it every chance they get. It sounds incredibly annoying to have the mindset that every campaign is FR during the Time of Edition Induce Metaplot.

I think there have been more D&D settings with reasonably effective to very effective fake ass religions (Greyhawk, FR, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Eberron) than ones where it wouldn't work well (FR, debatably Planescape, ????).
>>
>>52732586
Apep and Fenris and suchlike were considered "evil" because they would bring about the End Times. They didn't have temples or worshipers because only a maniac wants the world to end.
>>
>>52732620
If you have a power granting Clerical spells, your religion isn't "Fake", even if it's worshipping a Demon or some primordial uncaring Serpent or even a powerful Nature entity.

I'm saying you'd be hard pressed to run a charlatan Religion alongside ones with actual spellcasting Clerics. The divinations alone would fuck up your whole scheme.

If the powers are granting spells, they are "active", even if they aren't sending Avatars or Angels or whatever.
>>
>>52732586
>Evil is highly subjective almost always.

Well, you're using your own exceedingly rigid, inflexible, dogmatic view of evil as a kludge to make both fantasy fiction and historic mythology conform to your tastes. Points for irony.

>By having an Evil God, you make Evil an Absolute, and no longer subjective.

That doesn't follow, unless an Evil God means something different from an evil god. Is this just a tvtropes thing?

>Again, if you actually read up on mythologies, they significantly lack worshipped Gods of Evil.

I Don't Know What Gods Of Evil Are, O Ye Of Inflexible Dogma. Since We Are Going By Your Personal, Unquestionably Views Of Evil, Are Evil Gods, Gods Of Evil, and evil gods all the same thing?
>>
>>52732674
Take your pills.
I'm saying that of the Gods venerated by the ancient civilizations, none of them had the descriptor of "XX God of Evil". They had Gods of warfare and debauchery and mischief, but there wasn't a local temple to Evil.
Poseidon did shit to people that could be considered malicious and certainly "evil" to whoever he was doing it to, but he wasn't a God of Evil or an Evil God.
Historically the Gods are considered above the morality of Mankind.
>>
>>52732647
Well, you haven't needed a deity to be a cleric in.. 3 editions out of 5, so them's pretty damn good odds from where I'm standing.

This strikes me as a "have you considered trying something other than Forgotten Realms?" kind of problem.
>>
>>52730234
Pick any celebrity chef. I recommend the one most annoying to your fellow players/DM.
>>
File: download.jpg (17KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17KB, 311x162px
>>52732708
You should be aware that this is a sop to the local Soccer Moms and Pastors who worry that Little Billy is up to some sort of satanic cult recreation.

And a little bit of the heat they took early on for incorporating practiced religions like Hinduism.
>>
>>52730721
Seduction.
>>
File: diners-driveins-and-dives.jpg (103KB, 820x460px) Image search: [Google]
diners-driveins-and-dives.jpg
103KB, 820x460px
>>52730234
>He's eating as many exotic creatures as possible to absorb their powers.
>>
>>52731608
Use the naval rules from that card game where you build boats from the plastic cards.
>>
>>52731853
Good catch.
>>
>>52731046
If you like being a sneaky fucking ninja commando, you won't be. If you're expecting a cool combat character, you should have gone with Open Hand.
>>
My DM has ruled you can use Find Steed at a higher level spell slot, to increase the CR of the mount.

He normally allows CR1 to be used as a mount. Each spell slot above increases the CR by 1.

So naturally, since the Paladin died, and I am no longer stepping on any toes, I am planning on picking it up on my Lore Bard. I have access to level 8 spells.

So I can summon a CR7 mount.

Any great suggestions?
>>
>>52732744
"Oh Man, this Minotaur is OFF THE HOOK!"
"This broiled Griffon is the express train to flavortown!"
>>
>>52732787
Young dragon. Possibly giant gorilla? You might as well go for the cr6 wyvern since thats an actual mount creature.
>>
>>52732706

>none of them had the descriptor of "XX God of Evil".

How is this relevant to ... anything?

>Historically the Gods are considered above the morality of Mankind.

Pretty naive to poll the fanclub about their boss. Are you really going to tell me that servants of Tiamat, Bane, or Vecna aren't going to consider their master above the morality of Mankind?

The thing I find most amusing about all this is that even the most depthless evil god of evilness D&D has, Tharizdun, still has a majority of followers who think something totally rad awaits them and either don't understand what is going on, are deluded as to his true nature, or view the destruction of the mortal realm as a joyful thing (not that much of an uncommon belief IRL).

The Dragonlance evil pantheon does admittedly have some gods nobody would follow reasonably (Morgion, who is seemingly just a more boring Nurgle; Hiddukel is kind of a lame one trick pony but he's supposedly good at tricking people, so we'll overlook him), but they collectively combine evil as a force of theological necessity with fully legitimate reasons for following them individually. Not to mention they were initially quite generous to their chosen people.
>>
Is shilleagh the most useless spell?
>>
>>52732787
Since steed cant attack you want something though that can fly and go fast
Wyvern, Griffon, Unicorn or Pegasus are good
>>
>>52732846
>steed cant attack

since when?
>>
>>52732834
Meme builds use it. There are plenty of cantrips no one uses ever, so no.
>>
>>52732787
Put Find Steed in Ring is Spell Storing. Pass Ring to the next player. Soon everyone has a magic steed. Repeat with Find Familiar. Everyone also buys Elephant mounts with Splint Barding. Then have all your Elephants poop on the Beastmaster Ranger.
>>
>>52732500
They're not entering the beam. The beam is entering them.
Should be called "Evard's moonbeam"
>>
>>52732834
Arcana Cleric doing 3d8+20 damage at will with it and Greenflame Blade at level 8 laughs at you.

Seriously it's mostly meme builds but that's a Cleric who never needs to waste a slot on Inflict Wounds and only needs WIS and 14 DEX.
>>
Anyone have any fun ideas for Easter? I'm planning on having a monstrous rabbit steal some magical faberge eggs from a alchemist that the group is helping, but I don't know what sort of encounters/dungeon to put in to make it last the whole session
>>
>>52732914
Were-rabbit
>>
>>52732860
Since JC rule it that way. Steed is always a controlled mount.
>>
>>52732888
This guy got it. This is how JC rule it.
>>
>>52732787
Mind Flayer is CR7. You must be *this* retarded to ride the Illithid. The Mind Flayer also has a Beholder as a mount.
>>
>>52732919
Nothing in the spell says you can't have a Steed act independently.
>>
>>52732820
It's young Copper or young Black.
>>
>>52732929

JC also ruled it the other way.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/16/find-steed-steed-can-attack-on-your-turn/
>>
>>52729682
>>steals from the dead
Raiding ancient toombs is just that.

>>haggles with merchants
Negotiating prices is normal practice when trading.

>>coerces assistance
What's wrong with that? Unless you are threatening them violently with immediate consequences of course.

>>neglects porters
Relations with emplyoees depend on the employer.

>>causes rapid inflation
Yeah right. Why should one hold them selves hold responsible for this unless one plans to abuse this for property speculation.

>>spreads disease
This can be intentional but it's mostly not.

>>starts campfires in forests
A safe campfire is made when a fire pit is dug to ensure it doesn't spread.
>>52729437

Other things like burrying the dead have cultural and other in setting reprecussions.

Rape is however an universal wrong.

But here's the thing.
It's fantasy and you are allowed to play an evilc douchebag if you want to.
>>
>>52732951
Nothing in the spell say you cant double cone of cold too
>>
Rate my party composition (level 9):
Ranger (Archer) Hunter Air Genasi
Barbarian/Fighter Minoutaur
Bladelock Undying Light Warforged
Shadow Monk Changeling
Human Artificer
Human Mystic
Human (?) Mystic
>>
>>52733067
>7 players
>>
>>52733059
Wait what? Are you trying to say nothing stops you casting cone of cold twice in one turn because that's not true. Cone of cold takes an action to cast and usually you only have one action. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make because nothing in the Find Steed spell says you shouldn't treat it differently from a usual mount which can either be controlled or left to act independently.
>>
>>52733094
Yeah, it's been some problems but we have a player that isn't very committed and we have 1+1 missing players in some session, so usually it's 5/6. It's been a long campaign, so we can't kick out people now (converted from older edition)
>>
File: 30QN62U[1].png (975KB, 1239x2971px) Image search: [Google]
30QN62U[1].png
975KB, 1239x2971px
>>52733109
Think they are talking about this
>>
>>52733109
Old meme about super bard horse and casting cone of cold from you and your steed
One thing is for a warhorse to act on its own other is cr7 monster to act on its own. Conjure creatures already fucks with action economy
>>
>>52733198
I don't know any DM that would ever get past
>>
>>52733247
The majority of stupid things /5eg/ comes up with are things that DM's wont allow or things that just aren't allowed (See: Nuclear Druid)
>>
>>52733267
True
>>
>>52733244
At that point you just have to question what GM thinks a CR7 mount is a good idea at all. You might as well just not ride the the thing so that it can attack.
>>
>>52733247
But it's RAW.
>>
So, As a DM I gotta balance question. I have a player that has gotten out of control broken and I don't know how to Raine them in.

They are playing a Barbarian3/Druid2. They are using the Circle of the Moon Druid Path with Barbarian Rage and have become an unkillable monster. They Rage and then Transform, by Page 67 of the players hand book it says they can use their skills, or maintain concentration which Rage would be. Thus they have some 34 HP Monkey that takes half damage and can heal itself once per round as a bonus action, along with a mass of health of their own 45 HP and two transformations.

I've used non combat to try and drawl out the players Wild shape for more RP Related things on occasion, but because I'm playing a rather sandboxy game most of the time they take a rest whenever they are out of stuff or will leave an event and take the punishment.

Not to mention I can't really damage the player out of it as Damage that would knock that player out of their rage would kill anyone else in the party.
>>
>>52733198
>>52733387
No it's not.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/02/08/find-steed-spells-that-target-only-you/
>>
>>52731047
>>Ask why they don't just burn it down.
>>Silence, after a minute I hear the DM get up from his desk
>>Another minute passes and he returns. 'we don't want to do that.'
>>Ask why not
>>Silence
>>52730948
>>52731146
>>52731161
I've never laughed so muhc in my life, but not roll20 is not the issues, you found the holy grail of retardation.
>>
>>52733395
They just transform themselves into a block of hp with no damage? Why don't you just ignore them?

Also anything that work with Bear totem barbarian like Charm / Dominate (charm animal work now) and other CC spell still work.
>>
>>52733422
>A spell that targets only you is one that has a range of self and no area-of-effect parenthetical
So a spell that targets only you but isn't a spell with the target self, like cure wounds, doesn't work?
>>
Is it a bad idea to play Necromancer Wizard in CoS? Other than the fact that I will never reach level 14 and cuck a vampire spawn from Strahd?
>>
>>52733047
I do not want to be on the side of pro-rape but the universal wrong part is not right. It is cultural wrong . In Roman times, you could do whatever you wanted to a slave, age and/or sex. No one cared
>>
>>52733471
Nope.
>>
File: 8483_ca25_500.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
8483_ca25_500.gif
1MB, 500x281px
Goddamn RoT is sloppily designed.

I'm prepping for Chapter 3/4, and it just gives you set pieces with no links. There's not even a map at the start of the book.

>There's a bridge
>Doesn't matter where it is
>Errrr you go to an inn they tell you about a dwarf
>Somehow this allows you to track him...next paragraph btw you're in a canyon
>It's a desert, there's a crypt its full of spooky snakes
>>
>>52733395
Plenty of ways to fix that.
You could rule the effects of raging don't apply to their beast form. Tgat might be a harsh one.
You could probably rule that they could only rage after transforming, not before, because transforming takes the same focus as casting a spell.
In any case, certainly don't let them turn spell slots into healing if they're raging while as a beast.
>>
>>52733464
>They just transform themselves into a block of hp with no damage?
Wildshape damage isn't really insignificant at that level. A black bear does 19 damage on average. A rogue does the same amount at level 5
>>
How much Int would you say is required to be able to speak coherently/properly?
>>
>>52733601
>>
>>52733573
Actually less. The rogue would have +7 to hit while the black bear still has +3.

That's assuming the rogue doesn't have GFB/BB and a magic weapon like they should.
>>
>>52733395
If they rage it takes a bonus action.
If they then transform, it takes another bonus action.
If you somehow stop them from attacking, the such as requiring moon druid to take an action or something instead, their rage might fade away from inactivity. Or, really, you could rule that transforming is essentially a 'spell thatrage can't work with'. Or whatever.

Honestly, moon druid is just overpowered, and they're trying to synergize shit to make the overpowered health boost even stronger and you should've smacked them on the wrist before they made the character.

>>52733623
>>52733573
Magic weapons are an interesting one. A bear can't hold a magic weapon. Though a monkey or something might.
>>
>>52733601
Enough intelligence to be an adventurer that isn't a fucking meme.

Less than 8 intelligence is 'Oh, it's one of those fucking HURR I'M DUMB characters again.'
There's a reason why superior point buy doesn't allow that shit.
>>
>>52733395
Magic CC. Range attacks. Traps. Simple Command spell can shut him down for a round. Check what saves are his weaknesses.
His damage should be around 18-19. Throw lot of 21hp enemies with high ac at him.
Alternative just wait it out since his scalling is quite bad
>>
>Playing high level Curse of Strahd
>Bard
>Hit 14
>Pick up Magic Jar and Simmulacrum
>Possess Ireena
>Simulacrum Self
>Irena gets hat of Disguise and fucks off
>Strahd shows up
>Roll to seduce

Session got awkward
>>
>>52733831

memebards are cancer
>>
>>52733870

t. variant human polearm master tunnel fighter
>>
>>52733831
>Curse of Strahd
>Level 14
???

It's good to see actually legitimate use of simulacrum that isn't just 'I make a fucking army' though.
>>
>>52733923
>high level curse of strahd
>high
>level
>high level
>>
>>52733923
We're doing it at a higher level. Began at around 8
>>
>>52733892

>implying you can't v. human a memebard into double plus cancer
>>
>>52733974
>Implying I am capable of reading

>>52733990
Kind of sounds like a meme game. Did Strahd get a buff?
>>
>>52733999
But Half elves make better bards than vhumans
>>
>>52734031

But vhumans get a free feat at first level, which 3.5tards cannot function without.
>>
File: IMAG0225.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0225.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
How do you handle mapping in your campaign? Both in regards to dungeons and the world at large. Pic related is the map of the area of the world my group is currently adventuring in.
>>
>>52734031
Not really. If you want to focus on being a skill clusterfuck, half-elf is absolutely better than a v.human with something like +skills.

However, a lore bard could get something like moderately armoured from the extra feat, which allows them to have an extra +1 charisma modifier over for all relevant levels over the half-elf, assuming you use point buy and the half-elf wanted to get that feat.

You don't really need more proficiencies on a bard considering you have half-proficiency in everything and best bard lore bard already gets 8 fucking proficiencies... Though the extra language can help in very fringe cases, considering some spells require the target to understand.
And I guess charm resistance is nice, darkvision is nice.

Okay, you said 'better bards than vhumans' and I wrote all that and really they're better bards than vhumans but not in all cases.
>>
I've been living amongst rocks and trees for a bit, and have failed in a quest to ascend into druidism. Now that I'm back, I was delighted to see a Mystics class on Unearthed and am now curious, what's the general opinion?
I definitely get cool shaders so I may be looking at it with tinted glasses but this seems like a good class, but is it broken?
>>
>>52734127
>If you want to focus on being a skill clusterfuck, half-elf is absolutely better than a v.human with something like +skills.
How? VHuman gets a bonus skill and can take the skilled feat for three skill/tool proficiencies. Half-Elves get two bonus skill proficiencies.
>>
>>52731229
That's a red flag if I've ever seen one. I once tried to indulge my players' weeaboo side. It was a disaster for everyone involved. Now they keep the anime talk out of the game, for the most part, and I will never do it again.
>>
>>52734018
Massively, yes. He can put out 90+ points of damage in turn casually.
>>
>>52734205
How did Strahd get buffed?
>>
>>52734174
>Now they keep the anime talk out of the game, for the most part, and I will never do it again.
I honestly don't see a downside to this, personally.
>>
>>52734167
Yes, like that, the human gets 2 extra skill proficiencies and one less language proficiency.
But then the half-elf can grab the three proficiencies and considering they had an extra +1, +1 over v. human, they're pretty much come out on top, with the problem of as mentioned earlier the v. human ending up with a +1 charisma modifier on them in the short term. And then the other goodies they get.
>>
>>52732384
Now that I have you at my mercy, I'm going to tell you all my evil plans, and then kill you. You certainly won't escape with this vital information, Mr. Bond.
>>
>>52734221
No, it's a great arrangement. Anime and DnD don't mix.
>>
>>52734220
Massive damage, more AC, higher level spells, levels in undying Warlock, Magic sword, dirtier tactics, Heart of Darkness had a regeneration feature, damage Strahd takes directly bleeds into damage into the envyroment and land of Barovia
Also he lords over more powerful children of the night
>>
>>52734229
Sorry that didn't make much sense, Bob was distracting me.

Assuming you start at level 4 and only want one feat:
V.Human: +3 Charisma, +1 to other attribute
Half-Elf: +2 Charisma, +1, +1 to other attributes
And then, compared to v.human:
Half-Elf: +1 proficiency, +1 language, +darkvision, +charm resistance.

It's worth noting that when you get too many skill proficiencies, upping a stat such as int would actually be better than getting more proficiencies.
Level 1-4, proficiency feat gives +1 in the skills you don't already have
Level 5-12, proficiency feat gives +2 in the skills you don't already have
Level 13+, proficiency feat gives +3 in the skills you don't already have.
So, really, maybe we shouldn't even be talking about the proficiency feat in the first place. Having a total of an extra +2 in stats could mean you get essentially a +1 modifier in, say, intelligence, giving you +1 to 5 intelligence skills INCLUDING the ones you already put proficiency in because you really wanted those skills, rather than having to put proficiency into something you'll never use.

There are 18 skills, a lore v.human can start with 12. A half-elf can start with 10. You can easily pick an extra 2 skills you don't need and take a +1 to more important skills such as perception instead.

But, I guess, if you want to get ALL skills then start one level of rogue, multiclass into bard then grab the feat twice on half-elf or grab the feat twice more on v. human.
>>
>>52732647
As a cleric of the religion, you learn the rituals of the religion, and using the rituals of the religion can allow you to perform miracles. Functional rituals don't really imply a deity in a world where wizards exist though.
>>
>>52734334
Also I think he's got a varguille familiar
>>
>>52734345

If you truly want to be a Skill Gorilla you go Lore Bard, a level of Knowledge Cleric for 2 more skills + expertise on them, and then a level of Rogue for expertise on 2 more skills.
>>
>>52734395
You also get a skill for multiclassing into rogue. I need to check out what this looks like.
>>
>>52734389
>Varguille
Missed opportunity desu
>>
>>52732834
That's still True Strike, probably.
>>
>>52732951
Nothing in the spell says the steed can act independently, like the Find Familiar spell allows, though it can probably use the full range of actions when it isn't being ridden as a mount. I wouldn't begrudge any DM who denied that ability though.
>>
>>52734395
Holy shit
How have I failed to notice knowledge cleric's existence this entire time
It's a great dip class archetype, and good otherwise. I thought at the back of my mind it just gave maybe a proficiency or something, but it gives two expertise skills.

You have to start as a level of rogue, but if you go cleric and then lore bare you get 2 (background) 2 and 2 expertise (rogue) + 1 (bard) +3 (lore bard) + 2 expertise (cleric) + 2 (half-elf) OR (+4 v.human) over the regular 4.
For a total of 14 or (16 with v.human) with 6 expertises. Also languages, 2 (cleric), 1 (thieves' cant), 2 (background), 3 (elf) or 2 (v.human not taking linguistics) .. 8 languages.

Really though instead of taking the two extra proficiencies from v.human I'd go for half-elf, +1 in int and +1 in wisdom for essentially +1 to 5 skills which is in total better than v.human until level 13 at which point v.human has a total of +1 over you, but the +es are still in worse places.
>>
>>52734448
It doesn't need say it can act independently because that is already part of the mount rules. Mount rules say a mount can either be controlled or act independently. There is no mention of this changing for find steed so why should it not still be true.
>>
>>52734498
Totally making this character and naming him Jack.
>>
>>52733923
>It's good to see actually legitimate use of simulacrum that isn't just 'I make a fucking army' though.
No, this is just "I make with the fucking." There's also no chance this is legitimate.
>>
>>52734528
>>52734448
>>52732951
>>52732919
>>52732860
JC clarified in a sage advice
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/06/find-steed-spell-intelligence/
It's implied that it never acts independently, which would be stupid. At the very least we can learn this is clearly not supposed to act independently ridden.

However

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/16/find-steed-steed-can-attack-on-your-turn/

It can attack if you don't ride it.
>>
>>52734498
Noooope.

>If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies m ore than once to the same roll or that it should be multiplied more than once, you nevertheless add it only once, multiply it only once, and halve it only once.
>>
>>52734557
It literally happened last night
We had a whole thing where the DM practically made me beg for Irene's consent
>>
>>52734594
And?
I haven't violated that rule anywhere.
>>
>>52734345
"Skilled" is not one of the feats that you can take multiple times, not that I would ever seriously recommend it even if you could.
>>
kenku seem really fun to play but really difficult for the rest of the party to deal with
>>
>>52734557
No, this is just 'Watching DM be a fucking idiot as players run around tricking him because he doesn't know detect magic / identify and tries to fuck the first pretty thing he sees without putting some thought into it'.
But I guess he's probably an uppity bitch after being so used to being overpowered.
>>
>>52734594
But they don't use double proficiency anywhere
>>
>>52734612
Oh, well, yes. It doesn't specify you can take it multiple times, so half-elf is even better off there.
>>
File: piscoloth.gif (61KB, 295x345px) Image search: [Google]
piscoloth.gif
61KB, 295x345px
Okay guys, let's go over downtime activities, and see what things should be added.

>Building a Stronghold
>Buying a Magic Item
>Carousing (DMG version/UA version)
>Crafting an Item
>Crafting a Magic Item
>Crime
>Gambling
>Performing Sacred Rites
>Pit Fighting
>Relaxation
>Religious Service
>Research
>Running a Business
>Scribing a Spell Scroll
>Selling a Magic Item
>Sowing Rumors
>Training
>Training to Gain Levels
>Work

What should be added?
>>
>>52730343
>CE
>CG
>CN

Yeah, no. Chaotic Good is better than "I'm Chaotic Evil but don't want to tell my DM, hohoho, now he'll never know."
>>
>>52734600
Also we had this thing where Magic Jar just worked on most Barovian because they don't have a soul to Charisma save
>>
>>52734528
I know there's an official answer, but literally go read Find Familiar and Find Steed.

An independent mount acts on its own initiative instead of the rider's. The Steed does not roll initiative. The steed and its rider are a seamless unit. It categorically fails as an independent mount. The only qualification it meets is intelligence, but it certainly isn't "like a dragon" either. Unless you literally summon a dragon, but then there's still all the other rules surrounding the spell.

There is no question whether Find Steed can act as an independent mount. There is only illiteracy and munchkins.
>>
>>52734614
Nah, my party had a kenku cleric, he was treated kind of like Chewbacca. He still talked, made plans, etc, but in-character he was making weird noises that only one dude in the party understood. The only time it became an issue was when he was separated from his interpreter
>>
>>52734628
Darling I had a Nystul installed on my ass all the way back in level 8
>>
We need a new thread and if I make it, I'm using one of my nearly-porn pictures and I don't think anyone wants that.
>>
>>52734701

Nevermind. It's done

>>52734744
>>
>>52734741
New thread
>>
>>52734758
Ten seconds. It can't be helped. Should I delete it?
>>
>>52732772

I'm just hoping I can use my sneakyness to enhance my combatness in some way. Or that there'll be opportunities to sneak.
Thread posts: 425
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.