[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 416
Thread images: 35

File: 1491434038954.jpg (98KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1491434038954.jpg
98KB, 564x564px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Meganon's tools 2.0
https://buluphont.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Provisional /5eg/ Mega Trove
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52603814

Will prestige classes come back? There was no word about them after that Rune master UA. What do you think of the idea?
>>
post comfy RPG music for your DnD adventures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3K-NMQh2jc
>>
>>52608737
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html is the only 5etools receiving changes. For the future, please use this link instead of buluphont, they're only wanting to perform some coordination while we all get acclimated to using github as well as hosting us on their discord server.
>>
One of my players is running a swordmage with the Aegis (homebrew). Does this shit seem op?

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Swordmage_(5e_Class)
>>
>>52608737
I doubt they'll come back because it had a bad reception.

Personally I like the idea of Prestige Classes but I have little faith in WotC to make them the right way. It has to be good enough for people to go into if it fits their character but have enough prerequisites to make it hard for anyone else. On top of all this they can't be more powerful then a Single classed character should be.

Though if the Theurge ever goes to print it should be something for a Wizard/Cleric multiclass option.
>>
How OP is Favored Soul? I'm considering making the BBEG one but I don't want it too be too powerful? Also, how do the Starter Spells work. Are they just extra options or do the players get those spells automatically when they roll that class.
>>
Okay, so while I don't want to keep track of equipment weight, I don't like the idea of characters carrying lots and lots of equipment without consequence.
How good or bad of an idea is to have inventory slots?
>>
How easy is it to create homebrew with homebrewery?
Is it fiddly or really simple to use?
>>
>>52608794
Why not a Stone Sorcerer?
>>
File: 1489812685966.jpg (99KB, 767x563px) Image search: [Google]
1489812685966.jpg
99KB, 767x563px
Druids
are
GHEY!
>>
>>52608813
I would just rule it that if your inventory would be over 100 pounds unless you have a high str/something to carry your items it's a no-go.
>>
>>52608771
Do you want to just post comfy Dark Cloud music?
https://youtu.be/1bdfqYVmNmM

How's everyone's campaigns going? Are you playing today or tomorrow? Any big plans?
>>
>>52608809
It's just new options to pick from, anon. For the divine classes, they just add it to the list of spells they can prepare when they pray every morning. For arcane classes, it's just more spells to learn every level.

For Favored Soul, the new one is pretty bad. But the OG Favored Soul is cool.
>>
>>52608823
This is you https://youtu.be/6Vsv_vC7keA
>>
>>52608823
Indeed my druid is, she's happily married.
>>
>>52608813
What I'm doing in my campaign is just playing it by ear. I told my players that I wouldn't be tracking weight, but that I won't allow them to carry more than seems reasonable. If someone decides they want to try carrying 15 different weapons, I'll just tell them no.
>>
File: 1426512436326.jpg (85KB, 800x705px) Image search: [Google]
1426512436326.jpg
85KB, 800x705px
>>52608771
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT_BJK1H8xw
>>
>>52608817
Long story short, he's set on it. I might be able to make him change his mind but I'd like someones opinion on whether I should do that.
>>
>>52608794
Allowing the extra attack feature to be used for spells is just...no
>>
>>52608831
Gotcha thanks.
>>52608771
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAU-8TaAAA My bard is writing this song.

The comic shop I play at plays a lot of Disney so we fought the elemental prince whose orb froze over the entire dwarven kingdom to Let It Go.
>>
>>52608867
It looks very shittily designed by someone who is trying to make it balanced. It's just really not well done.

Honestly stop him now or more players will come with dandwiki stuff and moan and bitch if you don't let them.
>>
File: Half-Orc Portrait Final 03.png (168KB, 386x484px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Orc Portrait Final 03.png
168KB, 386x484px
>>52608843
The Church of Bane does not grant such trifling ceremony. Your very head shall be forfeit!

>>52608841
That dude rules, shut up that snarky DM quick with that shove
>>
>>52608903
>worshipping Bane
>>
What would you say to comments that 5e is "boring, or still lacks options"?
Think of it as ignorance coming from your friends.
>>
>make a knight character who specializes in mounted combat
>DM wont let me start with a war horse but lets the other two PC's start with a dire wolf and a baby dragon says that I started off with a free feat so I don't get a companion
>my feat was mounted combatant
>try to buy a war horse at every town I stop at
>they don't have war horses here it's a town
>they don't have war horses here but you can rent a draft horse for 2 days
>get to the capital
>they don't have a stable here it's a merchent town
why wouldn't the captial city have horses how does the economy work if people can only carry enough merchendise that they're back can carry?
>oh they teleport everything
what ever
>DM and me both DM seperate games and after one of my sessions he gets drunk and tells me to stop looking for a horse because he's going to give me a magic ring that gives me a demon horse
>I don't want a demon horse I want a fucking regular brown horse
>we get to his session, we find the ring and I try to sell it before finding out what it is
>he gets mad and asks why I would sell a ring before knowing what it does
I don't want a magic ring
>gets upset because I'm not going along with his plan for my character
>says the ring is magic and that I feel compelled to put it on
>sigh and put the ring on
>ring gets stuck on my finger and DM laughs
>makes me take a constitution check and a charisma to resist the damage it does to me and to not be possesed by he evil horse
>succeed both and take control of the demon horse
>horse has moaning heads on it and is a gray spectrual horse
>ask if I can glammer it to make it look like a regular horse so towns people aren't affraid of me
>gets upset about me wanting it to look like a regular horse
>don't get to form a relationship with the horse because I'm mentally controling it like a drone and it doesn't need to eat or be groomed because it's basicly a ghost
>mfw I just wanted to play horse simulator
>>
>>52608831
Actually what would you guys suggest instead. This character is a powerful sorceress about to step into godhood if the heroes don't stop her.
>>
>>52608903
>The Church of Bane does not grant such trifling ceremony. Your very head shall be forfeit!
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kGYs8UlLZp
>>
File: 1474078155919.webm (566KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1474078155919.webm
566KB, 640x360px
>introduce dragon hunting cattle to a level 1 party of 6 players on their ventures through a mountain range where they have to complete their first quest collecting some herbs for the local villagers
>expected them to run away or hide
>they stood their ground
>>
>>52608794
>Dandwiki
No.
>>
>ask DM if she can approve the new starter spells UA for our campaign
>she says they're OP

I'm very confused.
>>
>>52608926
Why would the capital be selling a warhorse to a rando.

GM is a dumb but I wouldn't have obliged you either.
>>
>>52608903
>That dude rules, shut up that snarky DM quick with that shove
Who was in the wrong there?
That group seems like a heap of shit.
>>
>>52608841
TL;DW what's the deal?
>>
>>52608949
They're all either broken useless or boring, anon, I don't see an issue here.
>>
>>52608987
All I really wanted was Puppet. It pairs nicely with an inverted Magic Circle for trapping high end undead, which we have to deal with a lot in our campaign.
>>
>>52608737
guys, what is the best way to build a ranger? preferably a dexterity-based one

I'll be playing ravenloft, and all supplements and UA are allowed
>>
>>52608949
clearly doesn't want to use them. why stomp your feet

>>52609006
why didn't you just ask for that one specifically then

>>52609009
>inb4 dont
>>
>>52609009
Revised Ranger, preferably Spell-less, but if you have to, Magic beast master.
>>
How's Shadow Sorcerer?
>>
>>52609024
weren't rangers fixed? also, this new ranger subclass (monster slayer) looks pretty cool
>>
File: Silverymoon_map.jpg (150KB, 726x474px) Image search: [Google]
Silverymoon_map.jpg
150KB, 726x474px
>That feel when you join a thread too late

>Waterdeep is home to 2million people
>Luskan is home to 4000

I'm really confused by the population in some of these cities, especially compared to their maps. I'm assuming that there are many people that live outside the city walls, but even the amount of buildings within the walls seems lackluster.

in something completely unrelated, is Silverymoon the Portland of Faerun?
>>
How do you deal with a player that's unashamedly trying to make his character as OP as possible?

I'm worried other players might be feel irrelevant if I don't do something.
>>
>>52609037
are there any good multiclass options for revised ranger?
>>
>>52608953
>>52608985
I watched it after seeing this clip and couldn't tell. It did seem like the paladin guy got the shaft at every turn, but it might be because they know him IRL and he's an ass. The guy on the right saying "Well that's your opinion" when the guy gave his opinion, in character, pissed him off, and the DM clearly took the tables side as opposed to the guy who was upset. Him shoving the DM was pretty funny though, as the DM had a smug look on his face and the shove surprised the shit out of him. I think the dude who left was struggling with RPing a paladin and the rest of the party wasn't giving him an inch.
>>
>>52609046
The revised ranger was the attempted fix of the ranger, they actually succeeded. It can be found in the ranger UA.
>>
>>52609024
>clearly doesn't want to use them. why stomp your feet
I'm not stomping my feet, I was confused because her reasoning was "they're overpowered" when I can't see a single thing that could be considered OP, except maybe Chaos Bolt, but she liked that one.

>why didn't you just ask for that one specifically then
I wasn't expecting her to turn it down, I thought the rest of the party might find some of the spells useful.

Why so contrarian, anon?
>>
>>52609049
"People" refers to the races accepted in the Lord's Alliance. Luskan is more lax with its standards.
>>
>>52609071
Thanks for the analysis bruv. Jesus, that group should just disband, it's a toxic environment for everyone and it'll only get worse because they're all complete shitheads. No game is better than a game with shit people.
>>
>>52608926
Tell your shitbag friend of a DM to get a new player.

Fucking horse-based economy. If your player doesn't want to ride your sooper-kewl frikkin' metal ghost horse let your player ride a god damned horse that's everywhere.
>>
>>52609052
curse them
>>
>>52609101
But then I'm singling them out. Is that justifiable if they're far and away the strongest player?
>>
>>52609090
If Luskan was more lax, wouldn't that mean they'd have a lot more than 4000?

And what races aren't?
>>
>>52608952
because he has enough money to pay triple the regular cost.
a roman cavalry unit is around 600 horses strong per legion.
romans usually carried 1-3 legions into battle not including foreign conscripts which makes up around 50% of a roman army.
not that we are in a roman themed game or even that the romans used war horses because they didn't but it's just an example of how many horses breed for war would be needed for a country.

they would have more than enough horses to sell to rich people who could afford it.

a warhorse cost 400gp thats a fuck ton of money people who own stables are obviously going to breed war horses for private use if it earns money like that
>>
>>52608737
Looking for advice for my first 5ed game. Trying to pick a good starting level for the party based around the story I have planned

>Royalty loses the crown
>The party is immortal guardians awoken by outcast princess/prince
>The party has to help the banished one find the "Right to Rule" a relic lost to the people that proves their ties to the crown and gives them the power to back it up
>>
>>52609078
Buddy it's not official material. Any DM is totally in their rights to say no. Donn' worry 'bout it.
>I can't see a single thing that could be considered OP, except maybe Chaos Bolt
Be grateful for a DM that isn't as shit as you at balance evaluation

>>52609052
Impossible to make an actually overpowered character without some cheese OK'd by the DM which you are in no way obligated to allow. Are you just talking about optimization or..? What level is everyone else playing to?
>>
File: Spook shroom.jpg (88KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
Spook shroom.jpg
88KB, 600x558px
>>52608903
Druids don't care about bane, they worship nature and shit.
>>
The divine domains of the listed gods in the different pantheons don't even make sense in some cases. What the fuck were they smoking?
>>
>>52609143
If your players are also new then start at level 1 and say being in stasis that long made them weak or something.
>>
>>52609143
>immortal guardians
boi

level 11 ish
the relic has been stolen by devils. they have to go though hell to recover it.
>>
>>52609162
They didn't make enough
They should have added Good, Evil, Charm, Magic, I dunno some others from the start.
>>
>>52609127
>not in a roman themed game
>going by roman rules

Dude...

Regardless I doubt your average horse breeder that you'd find in the capital would own a horse suitable to be a warhorse, have the capability to train these horses to the standard they should be trained to, or would sell to civilians no matter how much coin they have.

Just take your special horse and go.
>>
>>52609162
That it's about as close to fluff as mechanics can get and asking if you can any on any god isn't a big deal. There are some weird ones but nothing that strikes me as too bad.

Also

>Not using homebrew gods
>>
>>52609183
Definitely, here's hoping the envisioned PHB2 includes a bunch more divine domains. Though think they covered Magic with Arcana, but subdomains could potentially be a thing.
>>
>>52608926
>Shitty DM says no normal horses
>Gives you a shitty edge horse instead
>MAKES you take horse
>Not giving you SLEIPNIR, THE MIGHTY EIGHT LEGGED HORSE OF ODIN
All around shit dm imo
>>
>>52609163
That stasis weakness was the plan I had for them being weak, also the party will most likely be more skilled in tabletop gaming than me. I'm thinking level 3 or 6, I hear 5ed has almost nothing monster wise for higher levels so that's why I'm trying to avoid making them too strong early on

>>52609176
The relic is a dragon that went stasis as well
>>
>>52609161
M A L A R
A
L
A
R
>>
>>52609158
>Are you just talking about optimization or..?
I guess you could call it that, but to the extreme. We're at the character design stage right now. He wants to go druid, but keeps asking me hypotheticals. Like, "Can I wear three saddles of differing tightness on my back as a human, so when I transform into an animal they stay on me?"

>What level is everyone else playing to?
Only one of us is experienced, and in our latest campaign he went a pacifist half-Orc monk that can't speak Common. It makes for some interesting stories, but I'm concerned everyone trying to roleplay will be outdone by this other guy that's exclusively interested in fucking the mechanics.
>>
>>52609216
If they're skilled I'd say 5-8. By level 5 everyone has all their main class features like Extra Attack, Stunning Strike and Fireballs.
>>
>>52609197
Seems like they tried to cover gods with huge portfolios in only two domains, leading to spheres of influence which the god probably doesn't belong in while leaving out others the god should have influence over.
>>
>>52608917
"That's perfectly fair, but 5e is a system intent to avoid system bloat."
>>
>>52609118
They have 4000 people, and untold more beings that do not qualify as people.
>>
>>52608917
"Boring","lacks options"

Ask them why do they think so.
>>
>>52609162
There used to be a lot more different domains and each deity was given domains aplenty (not sure about history). With a few streamlined options, each deity just gets one or two. That said, I think they did just fine. Any particular you had in mind?

>>52609204
>envisioned PHB2
Is this a thing? Was this recently announced?
>>
>>52609243
I get what you mean there. I think they're just trying to cut down on "insert god" is ruler over x, y, z, v, w and 6 other things.

One reason could be that even if the god can effect those Domains, maybe his/her Clerics can only draw power from their most powerful Domain.
>>
>>52609249
I would agree. Lets look at all of 4e's classes

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Class

bloated as fuck.

>>52609256
>and untold more beings that do not qualify as people.

LIKE WHAT. I'm pretty sure 90% of Luskan's true populace aren't goblins, zombies, diseased rats and chairs
>>
File: 1489885422229.jpg (34KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1489885422229.jpg
34KB, 500x374px
>new DM~ 6 months
>think I'm shit, am shit
>work on improving, describing setting, attacks, facial gestures, actually learn scottish and eastern european accents
>read basic rules and memorize them or their page#/chapter
>guy at LGS that talked me into DMing is starting a new campaign
>join
>hes a shit DM, but a nice guy
>have no idea where the fuck I am, what I'm fighting, why I'm fighting, or how these mysterious being are attacking me
>charm, persuade, bribe then intimidate, then torture bandit who apparently killed a woman and made me roll initiative.
>the bandit refuses to talk and spits in your face
>"wow, why'd you kill the bandit?"
>have 16 passive perception. roll perception, roll perception, roll perception
>several awkward moments where he assumes/takes control of my character
>"seeing that woman die makes you furious and you must avenge her death"

He does so many things wrong, it's baffling. Guy has a fucking tool drawer that he wheels in and has what I imagine to be a thousand dollars worth of minis, mats and set pieces. That he doesn't use.

The guy has played dnd for 10 years and he's so bad at it, then at the end of session he looks at me not smugly, but with sincere friendliness and tells me that how to DM.

Everyone, myself included, had fun, and the group has no neckbeards, edgelords or shitty players.

BUT HES SO BAD AT DMING.
>>
>>52609303
>vampire
>a class
Every time.
>>
>>52609321
>What are you playing johnny?
>Half vampire werewolf vampire.
>fuck you johnny.
>>
>>52609127
>be a man who breeds war-horses
>for the king and his armies
>some fucking random adventurer comes up and tries to buy a horse
>the one thing that separates his king's soldiery from any peasant with a sword
>yeah sure buddy here you go
It's almost like warhorses are tanks in a Medieval setting.
>>
File: 0ELjO71.jpg (11KB, 155x202px) Image search: [Google]
0ELjO71.jpg
11KB, 155x202px
>>52609321
>Level 20 Vampire
>Get splashed with holy water
>Become a level 0 commoner
>>
>>52609158
>Be grateful for a DM that isn't as shit as you at balance evaluation
What exactly is overpowered here? Everyone on /tg/ has just been saying for days that it's a fairly decent set of spells. Point me at something that isn't.
>>
File: pala oath.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
pala oath.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
Making a homebrew paladin oath for a player of mine for story reasons.
Flavor text and tenets still under construction but justice and judgement are the main theme. Criticism would be appreciated. Please be harsh.
Also, level 7 seemed way too strong even to me so I scrapped it. Originally it gave +5 dmg to allies. Any input on that is also welcome.
Yeah I know, refluffing other oaths would be smarter and easier but where's the fun in that?
>>
>>52609321
The worst part was it was also a race... and that the class was the worst in the game.
>>
File: shig.jpg (55KB, 745x628px) Image search: [Google]
shig.jpg
55KB, 745x628px
>>52609337
thats not how feudalism works.
stop pretending to know about history
>>
File: 1426736498923.jpg (83KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1426736498923.jpg
83KB, 500x600px
Player wants to buy/raise a dog and make it fight in combat/be a bro.

Ok!

How should I do this? Obviously it's going to be some time before it grows up.

They are wandering hobos with no cart or animals aside from a mastiff he bought and thought he was going to raise it. No saddle or anything.
If he does grow up, how should I use it in combat? Should I control it? Should he use a free action to direct it?
>>
>>52609284
>Is this a thing? Was this recently announced?
Hopefully they collect the feedback from the UA surveys and announce a second PHB, that would be fucking sweet.
But yeah, they've been including this "If we decide to make this material official, it will be refined based on your feedback, and then it will appear in a D&D book." in the UAs, so here's hoping.
>>
>>52609400
>expecting the fantasy equivalent of people who throw their shit out into the streets to be like the romans

know your history
>>
File: Nwx3One.gif (238KB, 218x157px) Image search: [Google]
Nwx3One.gif
238KB, 218x157px
>>52609311
My DM lets me retain full control of my character's actions, and is very detailed with the world. He only has two actor voices, and one is just higher than the other. That's all right, because the benefits outweigh it entirely.

One character put his finger into a demonic glory hole. DM detailed how terrible the feeling is, and how when it slowly got smaller his character started screaming in pain. The DM wanted the player to take his finger out, but he didn't want to stop the trans-planar fingering.

Needless to say, he only has 9 fingers now.
>>
>>52609405
Control it if he doesn't train it, make it attack anything that attacks him.

If he does train it, treat it like animated undead.
>>
>>52609284
>Is this a thing? Was this recently announced?
>>
>>52609405
Tell him to pick Ranger/Druid if he wanted a dog companion. He's a cheater if he tries to get one any other way and should be punished.
>>
>>52609427
why are you trolling this asian chick poster like what was your plan here
>>
>>52609440
Paladins can do it to. And bards by extension because they can steal find steed.
>>
>>52609443
His plan is to probably get caught
>>
>>52609284
>>52609285
The streamlining across the board has been great, but with deities, considering the coverage of the portfolios and especially because they wanted to hearken back to older editions, they could've applied less of an eyeballing and more of a critical eye. And they could've expanded the number of domains each god could hold sway over, otherwise unfortunately you would get gods who have the exact same domains.

Not too egregious but Corellon has the domains of Arcana and Light but not War or Life, which have been integral portions of his portfolio.
>>
I'm going for a holy/magic archer build.

Gonna do war cleric 2/hunter ranger the rest.
How does this sound?

Using divine favor as opposed to hunters mark fits the flavor of "enchanted" arrows more than hunters mark does for me, and if I do horde breaker it should in theory give me higher returns. Single target damage will be reduced slightly, but a nice increase in multitarget damage. Additionally, I won't have to use my bonus action to switch targets. The downside I think is that Divine Favor only lasts a minute, so hunters mark could see more prolonged uptime. But then at the same time since I want to do more with different types of magical shots and arrows, this might actually be a boon as I don't encourage myself to only ever concentrate on hunters mark.

I think if I relied on hunter's mark I would never want to break concentration for a single enhanced shot that might miss.

But speaking of missing. That channel divinity tho. Seems too amazing to pass up on an archer. I wouldn't have to worry about wasting my buffed shots. The only exception being on a natural 1.

For anyone that advocates still taking hunters mark, can you make a case for it? Besides the longer concentration I can't think of any good uses and hardly any DM ever puts you in situations where the tracking feature is even useful.
>>
>>52609303
>chairs

I assure you, there are chairs present at every Masked Lord meeting.
Wait, are you one of those "chairs are behind Faerun's problems" conspiracy theorists?
>>
File: 1474181570184.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474181570184.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>52609427
thinking that the age of knights and lords would some how have LESS horses than the romans and that they would some how be only owned by the king despite the king's personal army making up the minority of the army and the rest belonging to noble houses.
>thinking that nobles owned the stables and that they didn't by a big fraction of their warhorses rather than breeding them all yourself and hoping that your stallions would never ever produces copius amounts of week children.
>>
>>52609440
Nah man, having a dog companion is realistic and reasonable. He just shouldn't be able to fully control is like a Beastmaster Ranger does.

Have the DM control it and have him make Animal Handling checks to do some things.
>>
File: blinkdog.png (164KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
blinkdog.png
164KB, 750x500px
>>52609405
I think the best you may be able to do is to befriend a Blink Doge. Due to their high Int, they can roll as a DMPC, or at least do the common "you control it in combat, DM controls it outside of combat"

You'll probably need some form of Telepathy, or Sylvan at the very least.
>>
Where to find people to play D&D with?

I live in Metro Atlanta. I have no friends. Like, none.

But, I want to get into D&D and find a cool group of non autists to hang out with and maybe pick up a new hobby, I just have no clue where to start.
>>
File: ChairfaceChairDiamond.png (180KB, 550x346px) Image search: [Google]
ChairfaceChairDiamond.png
180KB, 550x346px
>>52609493
I assure you, chairs are a very real threat in this world.
>>
How big are javelins? How many could I reasonably carry with me?
>>
>>52609537
Sorry, but how the fuck can you have no friends? Like actually how? Even annoying pieces of shit have friends, even MTG players have friends. Are you a shut-in?
>>
>>52609405
If he's not going to be a beastmaster, he's going to have to face the fact that if he puts his dog into combat it WILL die sooner or later. Melee combat is deadly for a trained adventurer, yet alone a goddamn pet.
>>
File: dog.png (63KB, 500x548px) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
63KB, 500x548px
>>52609533
>>
>>52609556
Honestly? Grew up with a shit group of people and decided to leave them behind and make something of myself. Great move for the most part, but making friends as an adult is kind of difficult.
>>
>>52609556
Assuming this isn't bait, which it more than likely is, good job outing yourself as a normie newfag. Please go back.
>>
>>52609556
>t. highschooler
>>
>>52609556
moving and losing touch, or this: >>52609591
been clean for a while now but yeah making adult friends is tough
>>
Is there anyway to make a Monk/Ranger work? There's an order of mountain monks in my DM's setting who care for animals and the forest and I'd love to make a character around it.

I'm leaning more towards a Ranger with a few levels in Monk then the other way around.
>>
>>52609405
Control it until it is trained.
Realistically if it's just a trained dog it won't be smart for him to really use it in combat without purchasing armor for it, if you would be open to allowing that.

Additionally, unlike the revised beastmaster, if this dog dies, it's fucking dead unless you have resources to resurrect it. So they'll probably be careful with it.

Once it is trained I'd have him roll initiative for it, give it its own turn, and have him control it. Again, its damage output won't be that high as it won't gain stat increases nor should it gain any bonuses from his proficiency.

Have it act like a regular animal would before it gets trained. Have him hide from enemies, get frightened. Minimize his overall combat effectiveness. A hound is something that's potential very useful outside of combat, it's a great bond and a fantastic RP tool.

However, because you shouldn't give it combat prowess in terms of damage, I think once it's trained perhaps allow it to gain proficiency in athletics for the purposes of grappling enemies. Having a dog to latch on to enemies and hold them in place is pretty cool and shouldn't be overpowered or encroach on a ranger's bloodthirsty killing machine of a beast if there happens to be one.
>>
>>52609556
I'm socially awkward and have trouble trusting people and making friends.
>>
>>52609591
>>52609613
Good luck mates, and sorry about the situation, just try and go to gamesday and such, see if your local college has roleplaying clubs and just slowly involve yourself with people.
There's always going to be shit people but you're be able to make lifelong friends.

>>52609592
Cool I guess, I've pretty good friends from a lot of different circles so I got lucky I guess.
>>
File: Spoony_Bard.jpg (73KB, 267x250px) Image search: [Google]
Spoony_Bard.jpg
73KB, 267x250px
How do I make the spooniest Bard? I'm guessing Valor?
>>
>>52609556
>implying I haven't been declared too fucked in the head to even hold a job let alone find friends
>>
>>52609639
Most people aren't bothered by social awkwardness as much as you'd assume, there are shit people but generally people are good about it.
Good luck with making friends, mate, you just have to slowly involve with people even if you have trouble trusting them. But building trust does take time.
>>
What exactly is a Fey other than it being a creature from the Feywild? Is there something biologically different between them and creatures from the material plane?
>>
>>52609673
I'm 25 and already retired because I'm unfit for work.
>>
>>52609622
If I were you I would do more monk than ranger.
Ask if it'd be cool if you can use revised ranger (but perhaps move advantage on initiative checks to like level 9 so it's a bit more balanced).

This is how I would play it:
Use your monk features to keep yourself at a distance with your high mobility, and perhaps take the mobile feat.
Next, take the sharpshooter feat and use a bow.
>But wait! Bows aren't monk weapons!
That's okay. If you're at range you won't be flurrying anyway. If combat gets too close, stash the bow and start punching.
Next, take horde breaker. This will give you a fairly consistent 3 attacks so long as your DM doesn't purposefully space out all enemies just to fuck with you.
If you're ever up against a single big bad guy, you should stash your bow and try to be stunning him anyway.

That's how I'd do it. It really "comes online" fully at level 8. Double attack from monk level 5, horde breaker from ranger at level 3. Before then you're mostly going to be doing 2 attacks between two different enemies at range. But if you're a variant human with sharpshooter, you should still have great damage output even early on. Up close, you'll be doing a respectable 2 attacks on one guy, and if there's another person within melee, you get to slap that guy too. (I'd recommend starting off as ranger1, then 1 level in monk, then 2 in ranger, rest in monk).

If you don't like the idea of a bow monk, forget the bow and just use a shortsword. Take dueling for some extra damage.
>>
>>52609657
You roll 3d6 in order for stats.
>>
>>52609715
Ha, I beat you by 3 years. Is yours mental or physical?
>>
>>52609715
In what way?
>>
>>52608867
Well, tell him to un-set from it, because dandwiki is garbage. (Some of the backgrounds are OK I guess, but those are super easy to make)
>>
>>52609537
Try sites like WOTC's game finder or Meetup.com.

http://locator.wizards.com/#brand=magic&a=search&p=Metro+Atlanta,+GA,+United+States&c=33.8498184,-84.4382721&massmarket=no

My game operates through a hobby shop. Every Thursday there's about 5 different groups that meet up and we just go off to our own tables. And that's just Thursdays! Sundays and Wednesdays are both dedicated D&D nights as well.
>>
>>52609729
>>52609731
Mental. Depression since I was eight years old has wreaked havoc on my brain chemistry, or so the experts say. No drive or desires.
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 3, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 1, 6, 1 = 55 (18d6)

>>52609726
Okay, what next?
>>
>>52609699
I mean, even with my awkwardness and trust issues, I still make it out to game nights at the LGS twice a week. I know a few people, but I'd really only call one of them my friend.
>>52609723
>bow monk
I want that. I want a monk with a bow-staff. Like, literally a staff that I can turn into a longbow.
>>
>>52609723
Would Kensai for the ranged pummel and monk damage die (assuming I get to high level) be worth it or should I go Shadow Monk for some spells to use the Ki I won't need as much?

Also the idea of going melee for 5 attacks between extra attack, horde breaker and flurry of blows is tempting.
>>
>>52609761
Looks good to me, you're pretty Spoony now.
>>
>>52609655
>Good luck mates, and sorry about the situation
meh, I'm fine, just letting you know that sometimes you end up a bit lonely for reasons other than "le autism" or whatever.
>>
File: Zyq4Zt7.jpg (68KB, 557x493px) Image search: [Google]
Zyq4Zt7.jpg
68KB, 557x493px
>>52609754
>No drive or desires
>Wants to play a game that requires drive and desires

Anon...
>>
>>52609774
Don't multiclass UA
>>
>>52609776
haw haw haw
>>
>>52609673
>>52609715
>>52609729
>>52609731
>>52609754
I'm no psychologist so can't help you there, but all I can say is best wishes and know that you're needed by people.
>>
>>52609766
Considering you can use unarmed attacks while holding a bow, refluffing them to be you whacking fools with it isn't a big stretch.

>>52609754
Basically the same. It's not fun.

>>52609789
In your game maybe.
>>
>>52609797
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/841465335828041729?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sageadvice.eu%2F2017%2F03%2F14%2Fthe-unearthed-arcana-mystic-isnt-tuned-for-multiclassing%2F
>>
>>52609774
Pummel is not intended to work with ranged attacks.
>>
>>52609774
To me it would just depend on the flavor.
I think without kensai you'll still do respectable damage at range.

As a shadow monk you'd certainly have even more ridiculous amounts of mobility and at level 6 monk, if you ever find yourself in darkness you'll be incredibly hard to lock down.

Myself, I'm partial to open hand. When you do go into melee I think it should really count, and flurrying for 5 attacks, with 2 of those being able to take away reactions from people will make your escape quite easy. Or if you find yourself up on a perch firing below and someone think they want to try and come get you. Punching them off of it is pretty rad.
>>
>>52609812
It literally doesn't matter what they say so long as his DM allows it. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

But yes, UA isn't tuned for multiclassing. Sometimes it's still perfectly fine balance-wise, however.
>>
>>52609812
Once again. Our games run by the rule of "You can play it as long as it's not broken as shit".

Nuclear Druid, Loremaster and some other things are banned. Everything else is fair game.

>>52609830
I can see what you mean. I'm most likely going to go Kensai or Open Hand I think. I'll figure that out later. Thanks anon.
>>
>>52609853
Lemme guess, Mystic is all right by your standards.
>>
>>52609766
>>52609785
Good stuff and sorry for assuming, you guys seem like better people than some of the shitfucks who actually have friends.
>>
>>52609853
>"You can play it as long as it's not broken as shit".
Revised ranger's main problem is it gives too much good shit early on so it is great for dipping. It is the best example of a UA you should not be allowed to MC into.
>>
>>52609853
No problem! Oh, and of course having hunters mark from ranger will help increase your damage from afar with decreased risk of losing concentration. You'll also likely have your bonus action free a lot of times.

So don't be afraid to use bonus action dodge, dash/disengage to keep yourself safe.

Once you have missile catching, any enemy archer is in for a rude awakening. And if you DM is a cool guy, he'll let you fire the arrow back at them using your bow.
>>
>>52609873
But it's also true no friends are better than bad friends.
>>
>>52609443
>trolling
If disagreeing is trolling now...
>>52609494
>somehow less horses
The issue isn't that there are less horses the issue is you're asking for a presumably trained/all-grown warhorse from some rando merchant. They wouldn't be ONLY owned by a king but I wouldn't say they were anywhere within civilian grasp (now if you were a noble/had connections that's another story).
>>52609556
How old are you?
>>
>>52609870
Are you okay, anon?
Do you need someone to talk to?
>>
>>52609901
>He thinks Mystic is balanced

Anything holding you back from admitting it?
>>
>>52609878
>UA
>MC

I would say pick one desu, I'm mostly using UA stuff for NPCs.
>>
>that one class that only exists for multiclass dips
What is her name?
>>
>>52609943
Are you even following what the conversation is about? That was exactly my fucking point.
>>
>>52609965
I was agreeing with you, only that I don't think you should ever MC into UA .
>>
What can I do with the following stat array?
STR 27, DEX 29, CON 25, INT 28, WIS 27, CHA 30.
>>
>>52609976
Go home.
>>
>>52609895
Are you autistic?
>>
>>52609976
Anything you fucking want?
>>
>>52609989
>it's autistic to think about worldbuilding
>>
>>52609999
godquads
>>
Which is stronger at level 8, a Hand Crossbow Fighter, or a PAM/GWM Fighter? Also, which archetype would be best for each, including UA?
>>
I'm going to miss weekly Unearthed Arcana. Even if much of it will be discarded and only a few become canon, it was interesting as a feedback mechanism.
>>
>+10 to persuasion
>nobody ever let's me be persuasive
>every time the gm talks about missed opportunities we could have gotten if we were more persuasive

c'est la vie...
>>
File: 1461195346512.jpg (93KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1461195346512.jpg
93KB, 1024x768px
>>52609372
/tg/ please help.
>>
File: MMCap.png (934KB, 892x796px) Image search: [Google]
MMCap.png
934KB, 892x796px
>>52609976
Be a champion of the gods?

Motherfucker that stat array is almost entirely superior to this guy.
>>
>>52609964
Warlock.

>Access to the best damage cantrip and scales with character level
>abusable, recoverable spell slots that can probide alternative fuel to other class' powers
>F R E E Ritual Caster feat
>>
>>52609488
I never even considered divine favor. I'm totally going to steal this idea for a future character.
I think Hunter's Mark is good, but it's only 1 more damage, and the flexibility of choosing targets might be better. I've never seen the secondary benefits of Hunter's Mark ever be used either, so it shouldn't be too much of a loss.
>>
>>52609976
I know it's bait.

Oathbreaker Paladin 14/Necromancer Wizard 6
Use your Aura of Hate and the Undead Thralls class features, become the warlord of your very own undead scourge.

1d6+18 slashing damage desu
>>
>>52609551
Not terribly big. I think a quiver could hold half a dozen without taking up too much room. They're just lighter, shorter spears.
>>
>>52609929
My nigga, you just started sperging out when only you brought up mystics.

If you want my opinion on them, I'm happy to give it. Do I think they're balanced?
Not particularly no. I don't think they're absurd either except for a few specific combinations. They seem easily like a class that has so many options available to them that it's easy to build something unoptimized if you lack knowledge of the system. If you understand how the system works, it's very easy to abuse them in their current state as well.
I think you can build a "balanced" mystic, sure. But the class a whole is not balanced.

Does that satisfy you? We can keep talking about mystics if you'd like.
>>
>>52608794
Dude like every single part of it is broken as fuck. Holy shit.
>>
What can I do with the following stat array?
STR ∞, DEX ∞, CON ∞, INT ∞, WIS ∞, CHA ∞.
>>
>>52609878
That's why when I made the suggestion he should firstly ask his DM, and then second of all move some of the features back in order to balance.

It's not broken in all combinations, though. I do agree it is very front loaded as UAs tend to be.
In my opinion the two things that are most suspect are the features it grants regarding advantage on initiative and advantage against people that have not yet acted. By themselves these features aren't too much, but in combination they become quite powerful to give for a single level 1 dip.
>>
>>52610143
Bard.
>>
>>52610130
I wanted to know if you allowed them in your game, not some mixed reaction writeup.

>>52610143
Create your own universe inside your DM's world that features individuals just like yourselves playing a nearly identical game to the one you're playing, except the DM is under your control. As are the players.
>>
>>52609964
Definitely warlock.
Sometimes rogue, fighter, and cleric honorable mentions, but they don't exist JUST for MC dips.
>>
>>52610143
i don't speak japanese
>>
>Anon, if you show up to the table with ANOTHER vhuman tunnel fighter polearm master character, I'm going to kick you out of the game.
>>
I have a hypothetical. If, on a roll-to-use character creation for building a character in a 5e game, somebody just rolled straight 6s across the board, how would they be best served to play the character? Obviously the odds are utterly insignificant, but it must happen sometimes.
>>
>>52608949
Zephyr Strike
1st level
Fuck yo AOO niggas I'm base moving 55ft plus and you can't touch me
Oh shit what's that, I get adv. on attacks this round? Fucking we dicin'!

Strut in 30ft, bash a dude with 4 attacks from a fighter 17/whatever the fuck 3, fuckin' swagger out 30ft and don't take any shit from anyone while doing it.
>>
>>52610042
I know the feeling my dude.
Today I literally gave a court-room style defense and didn't stumble once in my words (I'm a decent extemporaneous speaker irl) during our session. Turned to the "judge" of sorts and said "what say you?"

DM: Roll persuasion
>Roll 26
No one was persuaded.

Why do I bother?
>>
>>52610202
Multiclass Paladin3/wizard17?
>>
>>52610064
Yeah, I ran the numbers and it was the minimum damage (obviously) with only an average difference of 2 points when talking about single target damage only. Max damage was somewhere around a 7 point difference, but it's not something I would ever miss.

Glad I could inspire someone else! When I saw that war clerics had this I was like "perfect!"

I think I will use this character idea to play a hunter/cleric of Solonor.
>>
>>52610256
Oops, same minimum damage*
>>
>>52610143
Looks like you could make a pretty decent DM with those stats.

>>52609551
The only basis on comparing size and ability to carry shit like this I know of is the Quiver of Ehlonna, which has 3 extradimensional spaces. If we pretend that they are approximately equivilent, the 60 arrows it holds ~= the 18 javelins it holds in its second compartment. A mundane quiver holds 20 arrows, and therefore ~= 6 javelins.
>>52610115 huh.
>>
>>52609870
I went to go eat lunch, but I think the mystic has issues that need to me ironed out.
>>
>>52610202
Straight 6s? Someone might be tempted to reroll but that's a great opportunity to play big fish in a small pond style champion fighter with the folk hero background.

>I once killed a wolf that attacked our sheep
Oh gee, really? How cool.

Thinks he's hot shit. Dies on first adventure.
>>
>>52610143
Almost enough to play a paladin/monk multiclass, like SCAG suggests.
>>
>>52610219
Choo choo, all aboard the Railroad campaign!
>>
>>52609761

Good luck...
>>
>>52610029
Hand Crossbow, Battle Master
>>
>>52608794
Tell him to use the Bladesinger (SCAG) or fuck off.
This is dicksucking faggot munchkin shit.
>>
what are the bestest battlemaster thingys for a sword and board dude?
>>
So I'm making character templates for a human only campaign.
My players are new to DnD and I wanna make humans more interesting. Should I just give them +2 and +1 to two ability scores, one bonus proficiency and a feat? Should I let them choose an extra trait like Half-Orc's Relentless Endurance, for example?
Help me out, guys.
>>
>>52610434
No.
Pasty non-variant humans all over the table.
>>
>>52610434
I remember seeing Matt Colville giving humans an innate ability to sense magic.

Is the world only humans, or is it just the party that's made of humans? Cuz most of what you come up with will only work if its the latter.
>>
>>52610263
>infinite stats
Is that what DMs actually believe? Goddamn deluded manchildren.
>>
>>52610056
Does the solar really have the best stat array out of the monsters?
>>
>>52610056
What about as an avatar of the gods?
>>
First level Wizard player in a campaign I just joined has a spell list that is literally: Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, Mage Armour, Magic Missile, Thunderwave, and Witch Bolt.

How can I help them be the most evoker all all evokers?
>>
>>52610434
If you want a buff, give them a "home village" background buff.
>You come from a village near a mages school, by befriending mages in your childhood you may choose 1 level 1-2 spell of the DM's choice. This spell may only be cast once per long rest.
>You come from a town with a large garrison. You may choose one crafting or weapon skill to add to your proficiency. If crafting, then you may add one customized, self made weapon or armor to your inventory.
>You come from a town near the sea. From your time spent aboard ships, gain proficiency with athletics check. You may make an athletics check with a DC of 10 to treat any movement as a charge against an enemy. Failing this DC results in your character falling prone for their turn.
>>
>>52610476
I don't know, it was just the first to come to mind.
>>
I'm pretty new to the system is the spellless ranger from this http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes viable or is it as weak as the normal PHB ranger?
>>
>>52610056
>a stat array that can beat a Solar at wrestling, then beat him at Chess, so the Solar has to figure out a way to poison the character somehow because CON is his lowest stat & the only one the Solar beats him in.
>>
can Dispel Magic be used on a Conjure ____ spell to remove the creature?

If so, where would I want to cast it, the caster or the conjured creature?
>>
Do weapon create from minor conjuration count as "magical weapon" for bypassing resistance?
>>
>>52610463
World is only humans and monster races. Most race abilities really are just stereotypes, that's why I used Relentless Endurance as an example.
What I need are flavor and cool mechanics as abilities.
>>
>>52610463
>giving humans an innate ability to sense magic

Sounds like he pulled it straight out of his ass.

There's literally no lore to suggest humans have any special relationship to magic.
>>
>>52610527
>>52610056
>Solar gets out-wrestled
>Solar then gets out skilled in darts
>Then out played in chess
>Then out witted in a game of wits
>And then loses a contest of beauty
>Finally tries to envenom him
>And the fucker rolls a 20.
>>
>>52610525
It's bretty gud.
>>
>>52610563
>he pulled it straight out of his ass
kinda, yes

>There's literally no lore to suggest humans have any special relationship to magic
I don't know, man. It's his setting.
>>
>>52610525
Looks good, but I haven't played a ranger ever, so I can't say much.
>>
>>52610568
>Solar prays for divine aid against this enemy.
>The player rolls higher and gets the blessing instead.
>>
>>52610530
You'll find your answer in here
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/dnd/SA-Compendium.pdf

Use the search function if you don't wanna read it all.
>>
I'm going to throw an automated custodian robot at my party (average level 8) in an elemental themed dungeon. What's a good monster stat block to use? No modrons, as I want something unintelligent and not necessarily martially inclined.
>>
>>52610568
>>52610593
We've found the villain of my next campaign.
"They call him, "He Who Is Hated."
"Why do the gods hate him so much?"
"Well..."
>>
Does Forgotten Realms support what's basically sponatenous paladinhood? I mean, there's usually vows involved and all, but is it possible to receive some sort of direct vestment of power or divine inspiration or whatever?

One of my players wants to multiclass into a paladin, but I'm not sure it's all that kosher right on the spot (or with a couple of days of talking to some Paladin guy about it).

I mean, if he really wants to do it, we can just handwave it, but I'm intrested if there's actually a precedent for becoming paladin right then and there, out of sheer desire to serve the righteous call or whatever.
>>
>>52610563
his campaign is also entirely homebrew. I dunno man, lots of games have humans be something more than us humans.

I think of Xenoblade, where Homs (humans) were the only sentient species that aren't apart of Bionis' food chain.

Basically, their powers were unrestricted, even though the other big races (Mechons and Entians) were much stronger
>>
>>52610598
Clay, stone, or iron golem.
>>
>>52610615
Yes.
Spontaneous lichdom, spontaneous paladinhood and spontaneous warlockness are not common, but can happen without anyone batting an eye.
>>
>>52610598
Just one?
Something like a big bad monster?
Or are you okay with a group of monsters?
>unintelligent and not necessarily martially inclined.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, usually it's one or the other?
>>
What's the most hilariously broken shit you've seen on dandwiki?

Have you ever seen something that was actually pretty good?
>>
>>52610598
Take a look at the golems or any kind of construct really. But for that level golems would probably be appropriate.
>>
>>52610598

You want it to be hard or easy? Shield Guardian might work for you, but it's not going to be all that tough, probably, and it's pretty martial. Golems are a classic choice, of course.

There's not a whole lot of construcs available at level (or even generally), so you might want to reskin something.
>>
>>52610644
I don't remember exactly but I remember a player coming to me when he first started with some swashbuckler class on there that was pretty awful.

He got upset when I told him no, I guess thinking I was saying he couldn't use official content. I pointed him to the rogue swashbuckler and he was like "oh, okay."

Why does d&d wiki even exist?
>>
>>52610202
>All low stats
Moon druid
>All high stats
Oathbreaker paladin
>>
>>52610629

Cool. So I guess his suggestion of "I'm desperately in search of a meaning for my life, so I find a Paladin to talk to, only to realize the spark of potential's already in me, and quickly seize it" (paraphrased, of course) isn't all that unreasonable.
>>
>>52610596
"In contrast, a spell like conjure woodland beings has a non-instantaneous duration, which means its creations can be ended by dispel magic and they temporarily disappear within an antimagic field."

So it looks like "Yes" to pretty much any Conjure ____ spell since their duration is usually Concentration + 1 minute/hour, but not to animate dead since their effect is instantaneous.

And it gets cast on the creatures.
>>
>>52610686
Yes. Which makes sense to me, balance wise. As you're essentially "killing" it for free.

If you want to get rid of all of them at once though... probably better to just take down the summoner/break their concentration.
>>
/5eg/, I come to you with a request.
Can you give me Devilish Blessings?
Like, spell like abilities or something?
>>52610685
Yep, just have him pray and be mentored by a paladin for like a week. Heavy armor and lore stuff needs to be taught.
>>
>>52610707
Yes, but no more free than banishment. Plus there's a spell requirement. Dispel Magic is a level 3 spell, so to dispel a Conjured Elemental, it needs to be cast as a level 5 spell. level 7 for a Conjured Celestial.
>>
>>52610598
A whole fucking metric fuckton of animated swords. Make them fight homebrewed swarms of animated swords. They'll be surrounded by swords. Swords everywhere. All the time. The whole dungeon is full of flying swords and shredded remains of foolish invaders. Nothing but flying swords. The treasure is more swords.

There's an animated forge creating them at the bottom of the dungeon. It's making countless swords for the Last War that will ever be fought. It will drown the war, and all the warriors, in an endless tide of sharpened steel. Millions of swords, in an endless storm of cuts, drowning the world under a cacophony of metallic clicks and hisses as the blades slide past each other.

Only swords.

Sorry, doesn't actually have anything to do with your question.
>>
>>52610530
If the spell is 'instantaneous', then no, because the spell is no longer in effect.
If the spell is an ongoing effect, then yes.
>>
>>52610612
>Gods actually think he's hilarious
>All divine (and demonic) beings are extremely pissed off about him doing better than them
>>
>>52610720
What, like, boons except granted by evil things?

You'd think that an evil boon would come with some sort of downside.

Like a character getting stronger, but occasionally they lose control of themselves in battle.

Or a really powerful sword that funnels all the souls of those slain directly to the granting fiend.
>>
>>52610769
I dunno. If you're getting a boon from some evil fucker, you're probably already someone they'd be happy to sponsor.

Alternatively, just have using the boon result in misery. Not through stuff like sucking souls or berserk rage. Just... everything ends up being shitty. Things get twisted around to hurt you and the people you're trying to help. You'll accomplish the things you're trying to, but the results won't satisfy anyone.

Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword style of thing.
>>
>>52610769
They rescued a devil and are doing some really evil stuff that could greatly help the devils on the Blood War.
Also, devils don't lie.
They may omit things, but they don't back down on their word.
>>52610809
>I dunno. If you're getting a boon from some evil fucker, you're probably already someone they'd be happy to sponsor.
Pretty much.
>>
could a paladin fuck the evil out of a tiefling
>>
>>52610720
There are basically three easy ways to do it that are mildly balanced.
>Refluff the Dragonmark Feats from the Eberron UA
>Make the character gain an ability like a non-weapon/artifact/consumable magical item, bonus points if it counts against their attunement limit
>Let them multiclass into fiendish warlock

All of those should have downsides because fiends are well-known dicks.
>>
>>52610831
What if it's a tiefling paladin?
>>
>>52610818
If they're already totally evil, and actually working for a LE type, then there's probably not going to be downsides. A Devil who knows they're going to do what he wants isn't going to dick them over.

Of course, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some totally terrible failsafe measure that will do something terrible if they ever seriously consider going back on it or betraying him.
>>
>>52610818
A downside isn't necessarily a lie. It's just that, a downside. They can omit that the blade has a downside, and it's one you might not even notice.
>>
>>52610720
>You heal yourself for 1d12 health
>Half the value of the die is dealt as necrotic damage split among all creatures in a 10 foot radius. If there are no other creatures, you take the damage instead.

>You gain Haste and +5 attack for the next minute
>Each time you deal damage, roll a 1d6. You lose that much maximum health and current health. If you go a turn without attacking, you receive 1d4 damage.

>You gain the ability to cast Fireball at will.
>On yourself
>It bypasses any form of immunity and resistance
>But only on yourself
>Water can't save you now bitch

This is fun
>>
>>52610843
Paladins can be evil now. Damn neo-liberals.
>>
>>52610739
Well yes, naturally. Free meaning to imply it doesn't get to save against you.
>>
>>52610897
What if it's a GOOD Tiefling paladin?
>>
>>52610904
then would there be any evil to fuck out in the first place?
>>
>>52610831
reverse corruption is my fetish
>>
>>52610910
Oh. I kinda presumed it's going to be a tiefling paladin trying to fuck the evil out of another tiefling.

I don't really know why.
>>
>>52610904
>good
>tiefling

Choose one.

SMITE ALL EVIL
>>
>>52610923
maybe its just a kink thing.
>>
>>52610937
OBJECTION. Running a CG Tiefling Warlock right now. Best character I've played yet.
>>
>>52610937
My NG Tiefling Bard begs to disagree.

Not really though. He's mostly confused and feels a bit helpless about things.
>>
>>52610651
It's not a big bad - it's a minor encounter in a dungeon that is carrying the Zelda-style dungeon item that'll allow them to solve some of the puzzles present in the dungeon. I intended for it to be a mini-boss, possibly with some dinkier enemies flanking it.

>>52610645
>>52610651
Golems are the right CR, but I just don't think that they capture the qualities of this construct very well. I was thinking it'd be something lanky and maneuverable, the opposite of a golem or shield guardian.

It has a rod which has a pocket portal to the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum on it, which was going to be its main source of attack (something like 1d8 bludgeoning plus CON save 3d8 or half necrotic damage).
>>
File: Vacuum Warden.png (152KB, 350x236px) Image search: [Google]
Vacuum Warden.png
152KB, 350x236px
>>52610981
>>
>>52608927
>if the heroes don't stop her.
I would suggest this is an NPC and you can do whatever the fuck you want with it to get across its theme.
>>
>>52609006
>All I really wanted was Puppet. It pairs nicely with an inverted Magic Circle for trapping high end undead
No it doesn't. Puppet only works on Humanoids. Magic Circle doesn't work on Humanoids.
>>
>>52609311

>several awkward moments where he assumes/takes control of my character
>"seeing that woman die makes you furious and you must avenge her death"

This shit is insufferable. If he wanted a story where he can control the main characters actions and motivations he should just go write a goddamn book.
>>
>>52608794
>Rapier or 2 finesse weapons
>Get 2 Rapiers
>>
>>52610434
>So I'm making character templates for a human only campaign.

Ew.
>>
Anyone have a pdf of Vornheim, The Complete City Kit?
>>
>>52611320
Take at look at the OSR general thread. There's links there.
>>
>>52611357
Thanks.
>>
Can Sending be cast while using Merge with Stone?
>>
File: canada-mens-curling-vancouver.jpg (244KB, 620x395px) Image search: [Google]
canada-mens-curling-vancouver.jpg
244KB, 620x395px
Guys, on a mastercrafted magical flying interdimensional war galley, while on the way from a Pirate Lord's Villa in Tortuga to a Minotaur Annexed nation within the Elven Empire of Britannia, what stat should I stack on my curling team?
>>
>>52611429
The left ones.
>>
>>52608794
The person who made it isn't 100% incompetant (they got spellcasting right, saves right, etc)
But there's a lot of stupid things like 'you can deal 1d4 less damage and then deal that damage in some other damage type' that's honestly just stupid.
Also a lot of levels where you don't gain anything.

And some things that sound like they could potentially be abused.

But if you don't abuse anything, it sounds horribly underpowered, to be honest. Basically a worse paladin.

Why don't they just play a fucking paladin or a paladin-sorcerer or a stone sorcerer or UA bladelock?
>>
>>52611407
Yes.
>>
>>52611454
I, however, can't spell incompetent.

>>52611429
Probably, yes.
>>
>>52611429
The best one.
>>
What happens if a creature increases or decreases in size? Does their statblock have to be adjusted accordingly?
>>
>>52611454
Because people don't like to think. They want to be given a blank class that does everything they want. They see a Paladin as a heavy armor sword and board that heals. They don't even think about giving it a rapier, light armor, a fluff shield and lets say Oath of Ancients. Now you went from Uther Lightbringer to Serpico with just 4 adjustments.

BASICALLY, THEY'RE IDIOTS.
>>
>>52610547
Minor Conjurations disappear if they deal damage, so you can't really make weapons out of them.
>>
Drugs.
I need drugs.
>Regulus: A magical elven incense that is often used to forget bad memories and relieve pain. The user places the brown block of dried spices and oils on a metallic surface and heats it up, smelling the aromatic smoke. Regulus acts in six rounds and leaves the user pleasantly tired, feeling like it had good day and be completely calm, and after half an hour, no matter how little time the user was awake, it will want to take a nap. After waking up, 3 days worth of the user's worst memories will be gone, and the user's life span will have been extended by 3 years.
Elves and dwarfs are the most common users, having a vast reservoir of memories that won't be missed, greater tragedies to forget and a lifespan long enough not to notice the longevity.
Humans have a long cycle of discovering the effect, abusing it, and forgetting it, leaving babbling madmen and causing at least half of the hedge wizards on the forest.
>>
>>52611607
Try the Enlarge/Reduce spell. The effects of the spell only apply to size changes created by that spell, but it may suit what you need.
>>
>>52611607

>Does their statblock have to be adjusted accordingly?

Nope, unless you really want.

Werebear and Ancient Brass Dragon features below:

>Shapechanger. The werebear can use its action to polymorph into a Large bear-humanoid hybrid or into a Large bear, or back into its true form, which is humanoid. Its statistics, other than its size and AC, are the same in each form. Any equipment it. is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

>In a new form, the dragon retains its alignment, hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, Legendary Resistance, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as this action. Its statistics and capabilities are otherwise replaced by those of the new form, except any class features or legendary actions of that form.
>>
>>52611610
>People who get content from dandwiki are basically idiots
tl;dr'd that for you.
>>
What kind of advantages and disadvantages arise from playing as a large size race? Disregarding weapon size/damage or squeezing or prices of objects, since those have already been taken into account. I'm looking for things that haven't occurred to me.
>>
>>52608737
I Found this. It's not mine, but it has everything, maybe someone can be quick about grabbing it all?

https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/
>>
>>52611706
DELETE NOW.
>>
>>52609976
>>52610056
>>52610527
>>52610568
>>52610593
>>52610612
>>52610767
That stat array is reminiscent of Tiamat's stat array.
>>
>>52611702
>weapon size/damage
By default you'd just say 'It does the same as for a medium creature' because honestly otherwise all fighters would want to be large creatures. And size doesn't affect a lot in 5e.

You're better at grapples, normally, and take up a larger space but smaller creatures can move through your space and obviously you have to squeeze through some dungeons and you might not be able to use teammates as cover, etc.

Overall for 5e there aren't a lot of upsides or downsides but it isn't designed with large+ player races in mind, though you can make players larger through means.
>>
>>52611690
There are some stuff there that's ok, but it's like 1 in 1000.

Example: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Orc_(5e_Race)
Granted it's a reskinned Half-Orc with subraces.
>>
>>52611702
Have fun with traps. Even stealth sneaking won't work well.

speaking of sneaking, you'll probably suffer disadvantage on Hide checks, since most objects that can fully cover a human won't work for you.

AND SPEAKING OF COVER, expect many cases of 1/2 cover for a human being no cover for you, 3/4 becoming 1/2 and full cover becoming 3/4. That's not an official ruling or anything, but a call your DM would make.

On the plus side, medium characters can hide behind you.
>>
>>52611651
No they don't. They only disappear if they take damage, which is a specific game term involing the loss of HP according to JC.
>>
File: 1491624825050.png (112KB, 318x454px) Image search: [Google]
1491624825050.png
112KB, 318x454px
>>52611706
>>
>>52611702
bigger threatening space for the purpose of sentinel and PAM (and can become even bigger with spell / effect that increase your size)
>>
>>52611662
Tobacco so I can smoke at the table and say I'm roleplaying.
>>
>>52611769
Its a shame there wasn't a second MM that included new races, such as an Orc race intended for NPC and PC usage

OH WAIT.
>>
>>52611753
>>52611781
>>52611828
All good shit, thanks. Is the increased threat range balanced by other things well enough? I think the mm, dmg etc state that larger creatures have disadvantage when attacking smaller creatures in their squares?
>>
+2 WIS or Elemental Adept for my first ASI as a Light Cleric?

Leaning toward +WIS because I can just shoot guiding bolt at people instead of scorching ray.
>>
>>52611662
There's this stupid fucking animal. It's basically worthless. It looks like a hairless, spindly dog, or possibly like a terrible lizard, except it's got really shitty wings that almost allow it to believe it can fly. It can't.

Basically, the animal is completely worthless. But it's also, just because fuck you, poisonous. Different parts of it are poisonous in different ways. Its flesh will kill you. It has poison spurs. Even its saliva is a hallucinogenic. And that's the important bit.

These shitty animals have become a fashion item amongst the decadent nobility and merchantry. They way it works is, you take a knife, and cut a wound into your flesh. As it drips blood, you allow the animal to lick it. And as you basically nurse it with your blood, it slathers your open veins with its sweet, head-melting poison. It's a long-lasting, fucked-up high you'll quickly become addicted to.

In the long run, it will ruin your constitution and immune system. In the short run, it's the best way to escape all your worries and feel like nothing will ever get you down.

Basically, imagine brocade-masked nobles sitting among silk pillows, all writhing against each other's naked as these terrible, wrinkly, gray things suck at their open wounds and whine.
>>
>>52611753
Should be noted that in the MM, the rule of thumb is that properly-sized weapons of larger monsters have a die multiplier.

However, when you use some Enlarging effect on a PC, it's generally just a flat (smallish) damage increase or a +d4 or whatever. So there really aren't any hard and fast rules.
>>
>>52611883
Nice.
More?
>>
>>52611894
Monster rule and PC rule are separate.
>>
>>52611662
Here's a list of drugs taken from 3.5's Book of Vile Darkness which seems like the sort of shit you're looking for.
http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/drugs-and-poisons
>>
>>52611675
>>52611677
Thanks bros! You've been really helpful.
>>
>>52611883
Wooo, I love it.
>>
>>52611880
Wis is better, if you had firebolt somehow then maybe elemental adept but wisdom
>>
Did anyone ACTUALLY played as a nuclear druid? What was like?
>>
>>52611932
Probably like any broken one-trick gimmick build.

Although to be fair, it's also a druid with everything that entails. So I guess it's not so one-trick in the end.
>>
>>52611781
>>52611873
Stealth should be fine. It's harder to qualify to make the hide check, but stealth itself depends more on being silent than being hidden, because once you move into line of sight you're normally considered automatically seen anyway.

>>52611873
Most of the positives cancel out the negatives without you having to do shit like giving them extra weapon damage. Heck, seriously don't give them more damage, considering a level 13 fighter can attack 9 times in one round and that means 9 times whatever extra damage you've giving them as a racial, which shouldn't be a thing.
>>
>>52611873
increased threat range is good and bad. means you can provoke more Attacks of Opportunity and as the other anon mentioned, Sentinel.

I did a quick search. Nothing about hitting creatures. Remember that smaller creatures tend to also be slower creatures.

Also, unrelated, is something up with astranauta's Beastiary search?
>>
File: basedanon.png (21KB, 659x332px) Image search: [Google]
basedanon.png
21KB, 659x332px
>>52611706
DELETE THIS
>>
When it says that a Ranger can't get lost in wilderness, does it mean that you actually always find where you're going (So you can't get lost on the way), or that you just can never become lost and can't find your way back?

So basically, is it
A) that as long as you know where you're trying to go, you can't not find that place under normal circumstances?
Or
B) Even if you don't find the place, you can effortlessly get back to where you started from, instead of getting totally lost in the woods?

I've had some discussion about this, and I honestly don't know. Both seem plausible. Although WotC seems to be of the mind that having a Ranger in the party should mostly negate all hassle that comes with wilderness travel.
>>
I was thinking of playing a Ranger with a heart condition. Is there anyway to do this without it being obnoxious? I obviously plan to work out a medication I have to take to avoid effects of course.
>>
>>52612032
Limit it mostly to RP and/or work out something with your DM so that it will never grind the game to a halt because your character has special rules attached to them and needs to get the spotlight now.

Basically, don't make it the other players' problem and it'll be fine.
>>
>>52612032
The monk in my group has been infected with lycanthropy. I gave him some medicine to suppress the effects, there's also been a couple leads towards curing it (no cleric, and they're not high enough level I think to get a spell that would cure it anyway) and he makes a point whenever a new game day comes around to take one of his pills, and that's it. If he forgets, that may accumulate towards them being ineffective when change time comes. If he forgets and I forget, I don't give him any kind of penalty. So I guess it's just really up to your DM how big of a deal it is.
>>
>>52609009
V.human Archer Battlemaster with 16 WIS, Sharpshooter and proficiency in Survival, Stealth, Perception, Acrobatics, and Animal Handling.
>>
My players know nothing about monster hunter and decided to trek directly through a forest for 90 miles.

I was thinking about them encountering a zinogre

How tough would you stay it? Any special abilities and should it have legendary actions?
>>
>>52612032

I like this guy's response >>52612048

There's only one RPG game I can think of where one character has an illness that no other character needs to worry about... and that's Ness from Earthbound. He has asthma. He gets asthma attacks. You need to use items specifically designed to treat asthma to get rid of it. There's no point to it other than an extra item on your grocery list.

And between you and me, and everyone else here, if this is some sort of self-insert, just talk to your DM. I'm sure they can figure out something handy. Maybe he'll toss a light-hearted inspiration your way.
>>
>>52612048
>>52612087
Alright that makes sense. I was thinking of making it basically something that costs me about 1gp a day and doesn't come up unless I run out. I don't know what would happen then, most likely a CON save occasionally.

>>52612103
Nah, nothing like that. Was thinking of a good reason for a Ranger to be an adventure and a steady supply of money for medication seemed like a good one.
>>
>>52612099
What level are your players you dumbo?
>>
>>52608813
Make it so they have to explain realistically how they're gonna move all the gear, give them backpacks, maybe even 1 foot diameter opening 500 pound carrying bag of holding to act as a cool wallet after a boss battle
>>
>>52612149
they are a party of 5 level 7s. No casters.

Monk
Fighter
Barbarian
Ranger
Artificier
>>
what do you guys do for miniatures? I'm trying to find a cheap method of making them or purchasing them. any tips?
>>
>>52611675
>>52611677
This is a lot different to previous editions.
>>
Does Sharpshooter's damage boost work if I club someone over the head with my bow?
>>
>>52612224
Pathfinder pawns or the cheapest minis made for the D&D Minis Game
>>
>>52609303
26 classes, if you don't count every subclass separately. Essentials was a mistake.
>>
>>52612143
instead of medication for himself, write it so its medication for someone back at home. His mom for example. I would figure the process of going to a store for the meds (plus actual items of importance), delivering it through some mail service and getting a DM response would only take a few seconds. As a benefit, it would allow you to play towards your alignment and again, bestow inspiration. You feel good about yourself, your quest to get your mom healthy is working wonderfully.
>>
>>52612224
I use a bit of everything. Mostly little shit from cheapo shops.Chess pieces work well for larger groups of enemies. I used bottle caps from some beers once for the players.

Once we just put some dice and pen lids on the table without a grid, it was a theater of the mind game but one player needed help to remember the rough location of everything. It worked pretty well.

As long as it can be remembered then it works.
>>
>>52609377
And from memory it was also an Archetype.
>>
>>52612365
So if you took every Vampire option in the game, you got to write VAMPIRE all over everything?
>>
>>52612358
>Chess pieces

Honestly this sounds like a good idea on a budget.

Chess is an old game, after all, and it gives the feel of the board representing the combat rather than trying to be the combat but having to use a goblin instead of a bugbear or whatever.

You can easily put pawns as mooks, knights as fast things, bishops as casters, rooks as stationary threats or enemies or big/slow ones, queens as mobile but strong things like dragons and kings as just bosses in general.
Or.. However you want it.
And players can take pieces of the opposing colour each, with there being six different pieces to choose from or they can provide their own or something.
>>
>>52609321
>You could become 250% vampire by being a vampire class, vampire race and vampire feat
>>
>>52612409
Yeah, it was an awesome idea when I had it. All my friends came from religious families and I was poor. So we had to find a way to do it at highschool without me buying stuff.

We ended up sitting in the library with a chessboard and just used that and we had one set of dice between us and had no books at school. Had to remember all the rules and photocopy monster stats.

I miss the old days.
>>
File: Zinogre.png (1MB, 1099x1051px) Image search: [Google]
Zinogre.png
1MB, 1099x1051px
thoughts?
>>
What would a character with 4 int look like? Could they at least follow simple commands and use weapons?
>>
>>52612586
Gonna get fucked by mental saves and die honestly.
>>
>>52612454
>I miss the times when my life was shit and everything was harder than it had to be

I'll never understand oldfags.

>inb4 underage b&
>>
>>52612617
Your mom, presumably.
>>
>>52612586
What did you use to make that?
>>
I have a party of five level 11 players and I throw several Cr 5 at them do i have to take them into account when multiplying experience for multiple enemies or disregard it since 5 cr could be considered to be far under their level? I am leaning more for the former.
>>
>>52612586
> Zinogre
> huge
Is it really that big? It should only be large by DnD standard
>>
>>52612624
Nah it was the fact it was easier. I wasn't worried about making sure all my players had a good time, people didn't try to one-up each other and there was no passive aggressive bullshit going around.

I'm not even an oldfag, I was like 12-13 then so about 9-10 years ago.

Nostalgia's a powerful drug and I'm most likely wearing rose tinted glasses though.
>>
How comparable are 5e solars to their previous iterations? Are they still absolute badasses and insanely powerful?
>>
>>52612283
Yes. SS only require you to use a ranged weapon. Weapon's property never change , evenwhen you improvised it. It's also the reason why you can't use SS with a throwing dagger.
>>
>BBEG stores multiple Banshees under his control in a demiplane
>Releases them all at once
>They all scream

On a scale of 1-10, how mean is this?
>>
>>52612681
That's... interesting to note. If someone tried to hit someone with a Longbow do they gain proficiency on the attack but it does 1d4 or would that require Tavern Brawler? Also does that benefit from the Archery Fighting Style's +2 Attack?

I don't want to cheese anything, just be able to whack bitches with my bow in melee.
>>
>>52612715
Archery Style
> You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

It doesn't specify what kind of attack roll (ie: melee attack roll or ranged attack roll), so it would apply.
>>
>>52612715
It's hardly cheese, you're only going to be doing 1d4+str anyway, and you'll still need to drop a feat to add your proficiency bonus to the roll.
>>
>>52612786
>>52612715
He can go full meme and add GWM feat on top of that though.

GWM only require you to use heavy weapon (longbow is one) and making a melee attack roll (improvised melee longbow is doing that).
>>
>>52612786
See I wanted to do this on a Kensai, plus this seems to say I can add proficiency to a melee attack roll with a ranged weapon.

"Proficiency with a weapon allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with that weapon."

It does say "any attack" I make with the weapon.
>>
>>52612671
CR 21 with legendary actions so pretty powerful.

Still BTFO by most ancient dragons though.
>>
Post houserules.

>New arcane implelent: Athame. Functions as a dagger lacking the thrown property as well as an arcane focus.
>New feat: Minor Pact. +1 Charisma, gain a warlock invocation. You must meet all prerequisites for the invocation.
>Berserker Barbarians recover one level of Exhaustion per short rest.
>Sorcerers use the Spell Point variant, and add their sorcery points to their spell point pool.
>Warlocks begin play with 1 spell slot, gain a second slot at level 2, then gain an additional slot every 5 levels (6, 11, and 16), capping out at 5 slots.
>>
I was looking through the Monster Manual and noticed that most of the XP values for ancient dragons had to be errata'd.

How did they fuck up so consistently?
>>
>>52612807
Really? How do they still get btfo'd by ancient dragons?
>>
>>52612715
I would look to working with your DM for something along the lines of "you have a club + bow that can be used as either". The alternative presented here, while following RAW, opens up the possibility of GWM + Sharpshooter -10 to hit for +20 damage attacks which does not sound fun to me.
>>
>>52612899
Worth noting this character can get +2 to hit from archery and make another super attack as a bonus action if they kill something (They will).

Any other ways to give this beast more attack to make up for the -10? Just theory crafting here.
>>
>>52612845
Most of the errata is just fixing really obvious, dumb mistakes. WotC needs to hire some editors.
>>
>>52612845
>How did they fuck up so consistently?
The XP and CR system was adjusted throughout the playtests and the dragon statblocks were missed in the final passthrough.
>>
>>52612899
Why doesn't it sound fun? -10 is a huge penalty in 5e. It's pretty much a one hit wonder kinda guy who will miss most of them time.
>>
>>52612710
Pretty mean, but I'd say that it doesn't require a save for every single one but instead players have disadvantage on the save.
>>
Where do I get the erratas for the MM, DMG, and PHB?
>>
Does EK eldritch strike give his ally advantage too or no?
>>
>>52612985
Both of the -5/+10 modifiers can be applied seperately so the extreme case would only happen when it's optimal. It feels like cheese to me, but what that and "not sound fun" really just means I wouldn't allow this in my game.
>>
>>52613035
"When you hit a creature with a spell you cast, it has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell -you cast- before the end of your next turn."

Emphasis mine. It's specifically against something you do.
>>
What are the best classes to use a shield with? Theyre aesthetic as fuck but with AC meaning so little and the game turning into a dps race, one handers and shields get eclipsed extremely hard.

New to 5E, only played 3.5/pathfinder
>>
>>52612634
Looks like a combination of homebrewery.naturalcrit and photoshop.
>>
>>52613093
Fighter or Paladin with the Shield Master feat. That Advantage on every attack is good and helps a Paladin Crit.
>>
>>52613093
> AC meaning so little to the game
First you need to get out of that 3.pf mindset. Even CR20 Ancient Dragon only has 22 AC in 5e. +2 AC is huge.
>>
>>52613093
Shield master help with dps race.
TWF is the only one that stay behind due to the lack of feat and good fighting style.
>>
>>52613105
Should i prioritize that feat? Over say, heavy armor master or inspiring leader?

>>52613135
>22AC ancient dragon

What? Does it just oneshot you or something? Does it have an excessively bloated health pool?
>>
Yo, fledgling DM here.

My party's got themselves a quest that takes place in a forest tomorrow. I have a lot of cool ideas for encounters but connecting them in a forest format seems difficult. Most of their dungeon-esque encounters have linear choices in terms of how they could travel but a forest seems like it'll play out differently.

In my head it plays out like,
Your party approaches the forest
"We proceed through the forest"
Alright

But will throwing stuff at them without them voicing a direction or style of travel negatively impact their sense of agency?

Also, does anyone have any experiences with unicorns? It's around my player's level and should be a fun boss type creature but I'm coming up with things that could fight alongside it, if any. I thought it'd be funnier if the decision to kill a beautiful creature that's alone would have more impact on their morale then their hit points but it could be anticlimactic
>>
A general question followed by a hypothetical for /5eg/:
Has anyone played a gestalt campaign in 5e yet?
If not, share with me your ideas for gestalt characters.
>>
>>52613064
Can it stack with the multiple attack or do I just attack multiple creature to later cast an aoe?
>>
>>52613159
That's generally how 5E's monsters get their survivability, yes.
>>
>>52613159
No. 5e just doesn't have AC bloat like 3.5e.

Learn about bound accuracy and stuff. Learn why bonus to attack roll and AC mean much more in 5e than your previous system. It will help you in the long run.
>>
>>52613020
From Megaanon's (peace be upon him) trove you faggot.

Better yet get the PDFs in the MEGA that have all the errata in them.
>>
>>52613162
Depending on the type of forest you can describe the thickness of the trees and hilly, uneven ground make it for difficult terrain (the actual mechanic) and then that way you can "railroad" them by making a path of easy terrain for them to follow.

What exactly is their quest? Basically just use difficult terrain to guide them and maybe leave a bread crumb trail of blood or whatever they're tracking in the forest.
>>
>>52613162
Why would a unicorn attack them?
>>
>>52613159
see >>52613190
A level 20 character will have ~ +11 to hit

>>52613020
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dnd+5e+phb+mm+dmg+errata
>>
>>52608815
It has some quirks. Obviously, if you already know HTML, it goes a lot better than it would otherwise. The site is solid.
>>
>>52613209
They need a unicorn horn.

This sounds great. I want my players with high survival and tracking themed skills to shine in this type of environment. Difficult terrain will offer more interesting combat too I hope.

>>52613222
It won't, at least not initially. Most of them have evil backgrounds/alignments so at the very least they'll at least be on it's bad side. Plus they're on a quest to harvest part of it's head so I can only picture this ending a couple of ways. I think one of them can speak celestial so maybe a negotiation of some kind is possible but the party murder hobo might not have the patience for that sort of thing.
>>
What are some tips you can give me for Illusion magic? Seems like it never works out for me.
>>
>>52613479
Depends. On. The. DM.

Illusion magic almost never works in combat for me and is extremely situational out of combat. Waste of a spell slot.

The only illusion spells I'd recommend are phantasmal force and minor illusion.
>>
What skill would be used for navigating cities and finding people to but illegal goods from?
>>
>>52613162
It can keep its shield up and pummel the crap out of people with its hooves pretty much every turn it takes.

To say nothing of it's ability to teleport itself and others.
>>
>>52613537
Perception or Investigation and Insight.
>>
What background would you give someone like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast?
>>
File: 1382318071589.jpg (476KB, 600x743px) Image search: [Google]
1382318071589.jpg
476KB, 600x743px
Are Wizards and Bards equally good for general group support or should I lean one way or the other? Note that I count holding something down for the party rogue to eviscerate as support.

Especially if there's two sources of healing already in the group.
>>
>>52613816
Wizards are always CC kings.

Those sources of healing probably also come with a variety of direct party buffs so the wizards potential is valued even more
>>
What's the most important feat for a paladin once you've maxed strength and charisma?
>>
What two maneuvers are best for a Spell-less Ranger?
>>
>>52613174
RAW, no, because disadvantage doesn't stack - you either have it or you don't. There's a variant wherein you can have multiple instances of disadvantage, and have to have an equal number of instances of advantage to cancel them, but you won't roll any more dice.

Attacking a group and then fireballing them totally works, though.
>>
>>52613816
Wizards are more CC, bards can CC, but are better at buffing and healing.

>Especially if there's two sources of healing already in the group.

Go wizard then.
>>
File: IMG_6936.jpg (5MB, 2000x2635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6936.jpg
5MB, 2000x2635px
>>52609049
What do you think?
>pic related

That's some pretty hipster hair there
>>
>>52613878

Polearm Mastery? Maybe Shield Master if you like shields? Sentinel is always good I guess, especially with Polearm Mastery, makes you very Defender-y.
>>
File: 1382314965473.jpg (167KB, 980x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1382314965473.jpg
167KB, 980x1200px
>>52613863
>>52613932

Sounds awesome, thanks anons. Any good resources for being the best Wizard I can be?
>>
>>52611284
>2 OTHER finesse weapons
>No rapier can be chosen
>>
>>52614019
I don't have anything specific for 5e, but as a general note:

1. Debuffing and CC > blasting. blasting does HP damage, and other classes do that better than you. Focus on disabling opponents to make it easier for others to kill them.
2. Control the battlefield. Grease is classically considered a great spell not because it disables foes (it does), but because it puts a relatively large zone of 'all who enter this area are FUCKED' wherever YOU want it.
3. Be creative with the rules. Minor Illusion can be effective against enemy spellcasters if they're giving you trouble: create a 5' crate around yourself. Now nothing has line of sight to you, but you can see out of it. Plus, no saving throw unless they physically interact with it. Other spells are better, of course, but the point stands.
>>
>>52612026
I would play it as A.
If the ranger knows where he needs to go he can go there and never lose their way.
Up to the DM I guess.
>>
I had a session where it was most everyone's first time, including the dm (excluding me and one other). I'm not that much more experienced myself, but I have memorized all the basic rules involving combat, saving throws etc

I ended up getting into a pretty heated argument with my friend who was dming because during a round of combat he did an attack roll for another player's pc. I pointed out why that was incorrect, he said that because he was the dm if that's how he wanted it to be then that's that... I disagreed, a little bit too aggressively.

I did manage to convince him to let the other player make their attack roll themselves (which they nat20'd lol) but my question is, am I out of line for trying to make sure the game is conducted in accordance to the rules? Or would have it been the better call to let him rule that he would be making the pc's attack rolls? (note that in this context there was no ambiguity in the rules, players clearly make their own attack rolls).

We talked it out (very loudly) during a mid session break and I think the main problem was that I came off too strong (I blame the alcohol) and what could have been a learning experience turned into something much more personal. Especially as a new player (dm no less!) I understand it's very easy to get confused on whose rolling dice and for what reason, but I feel the dm has a responsibility to his players to understand the rules for running the game. If a dm is gonna eschew the rules for his own, it should at least make the game more fun, not take away pc's agency...

It didn't help that he insisted we rp in a very specific fashion; he wouldn't allow me to describe my actions to everyone, I was only allowed dialogue and physical pantomime... (i.e. instead of *I move up to the front seat of the wagon and sit by such and such* saying "blah blah" I would only allowed to physically stand up from the table and go over to the player in question and charades basically)
>>
File: 1480652693403.png (233KB, 540x721px) Image search: [Google]
1480652693403.png
233KB, 540x721px
>>52614075
This has to be fake, there is no way this actually happened right?
>>
>>52614075
Sounds like a shit DM, even for a first time.
How drunk were you all? You mentioned alcohol.

It's the norm to have players roll their dice, just to have some agency, and take off work from the DM.
It's a dick move to constrain roleplaying that much, though.
>>
>>52614075
Didn't happen
>>
>>52614075
DMs rolling for PCs isn't the wildest thing in the world. At the end of the day a DM has the final word but if they're not considering your perspective very much then they're doing a bad job too. If that's how they prefer to run their campaign then you either go with it or bail.

That last part sounds like a pain though.
>>
>>52614075
>DM rolls for monsters
>DM rolls for players

Players do what exactly?
>>
>>52614058
Sorcerer and warlock are pretty good at doing damage. Especially when you mix the two classes together.
>>
>>52614119
>DMs rolling for PCs isn't the wildest thing in the world.

THEN WHAT THE FUCK DO PLAYERS EVEN DO
>>
>>52614129
I know, I was specifically speaking about Wizards. Which, by the way, are perfectly capable of blasting, but much better at doing other things.
>>
>>52614141
True enough, but 10th level evocation wizard with an upscaled magic missile does blasting well too.
I'd still want a divination wizard with portent though.
>>
>>52614134
IMO the only time the DM should roll for the players are for things they wouldn't necessarily know about - perception for noticing hidden things without actively looking (now passive perception), saves against subtle poison or charm effects (though they should know something's up after the save is made), and so on.
>>
>>52614156
Asking your players to make a save, and then sadly shaking your head and making a note is half the fun of being a DM
>>
>>52613782
Charlatan/Folk Hero/Entertainer?
>>
>>52614155
There's a divination wizard in my SKT group. She keeps forcing my monsters to have shit initiative or fail their saves against ludicrous damage spells. It's extremely bullshit. And I love it.
The fun part is that the foretelling rolls replace the roll, throw or check, and not the die roll (or it would specify that it would replace a single die roll), bypassing any advantages, disadvantages, or reaching numbers that otherwise the creature might not be able to reach (such as a 20 when the creature has a negative bonus on the particular ability).
>>
>>52614205

Divination does seem to be the favorite type, but Abjuration also seems fun. At least for the counterspelling, if you happen to hate enemy casters and want them to have no fun ever.
>>
>>52614124
>DM tells players how to roleplay
Why not just play alone then?
>>
>>52614075
Even for a first time DM, that was amazingly bad.
He's trying to control your actions and is telling you how to roleplay. Is he a complete control freak?
Ditch him and start your own group.
>>
>>52614101
>>52614113
I really wish it was man, I have never gotten into an argument like that with my friend before.

>>52614112
DM wasn't drinking, just some other pc's and I. Yeah I think that's what set up the confrontation to be honest, taking away the fun of painting yourself in eachother's mind theatres really soured my mood.

>>52614119
>If that's how they prefer to run their campaign then you either go with it or bail.

Yeah it basically came down to that, but I didn't want to discourage him that hard since it was his first time dming. I really like the group to be honest, if this is all just jitters and it smooths out next session this campaign has a lot of promise.

>>52614124
>>52614134
>>52614224
Yeah...

>>52614156
>>52614167
Agreed, I have no problem at all with stuff like that.
>>
>>52613980
Is this adventure good?
The hair machine seems dope but my character is bald. Any idea what I should do if I want to use it?
>>
>>52614205
That is not how portent work. You still can't get 20.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/23/portent-die/
>>
>>52614205
Nah wrong nigga. You replace the d20 roll but modifiers are still applied
>>52614217
Abjuration wizards are great enemies for players, makes them massively buttmad not do be able to cast properly or do much damage
>>
>>52614591
> not counterpspell a counterspell
>>
New thread when.
>>
>>52614640
Thread posts: 416
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.