[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 402
Thread images: 38

File: Wrath.jpg (1MB, 1466x2202px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath.jpg
1MB, 1466x2202px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v7 (replace space with dot)
bit do/5egtrove

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on 5th Edition General: >>52536030

Thread Question:
What are some interesting encounters you've had with Gods or god-like creatures in your campaign?
-OR-
How has your playstyle changed from when you first started playing DnD to now?
>>
File: JsIdRuZ[1].jpg (80KB, 400x633px) Image search: [Google]
JsIdRuZ[1].jpg
80KB, 400x633px
I'm trying to create a statblock for a Nymph, for reasons. Should I just modify the Dryad, or try to convert the 3.5 Nymph? How should Blinding Beauty work?
>>
What's your favorite cantrip or spell from the new UA?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12670701
>>
Reposting:

I'd like some opinions on an idea I've been batting around in my head. The idea revolves around the Warlock invocation Voice of the Chain Master, particularly the part where it says "you can...perceive through your familiar's senses..."

I'm not really sure what to make of it except that it means, rather than using an action to sense through you familiar (and blinding yourself in the process), it's simply always on, you just get more eyes and ears and olfactory senses and whatever. The second part of the idea involved using it with a crab familiar inside a Fog Cloud. Since the crab has blindsight, I assume that it would mean you could use the crab's senses inside the Fog Cloud to keep yourself from suffering from the blind condition, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate. So I'd like other people's input on the issue.
>>
>>52542850
Unless my copying goof'd, the whole thing is less than 6 GB in total

>>52544324
Yawning Portal has your back: https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Nereid
>>
>>52544408
That actually helps a lot. Replace the acid with a modified medusa's gaze attack and it's damn near perfect.
>>
>>52544400
Crawford said it only extends the range of the Find Familiar corresponding text. I'd allow it in my game.
>>
What if wild magic sorcerers got this at first level?
>As an action on your turn, you can cast Chaos Bolt by spending 2 sorcery points.
>>
>>52544400
There's always one faggot who says 'But you're blind regardless of your familiar because it says right here you're blind!'
That doesn't really make any sense, because that's like saying 'Okay, here's an invocation that makes you fucking blind.'

But, really, as long as you have an active, working sense (whether it's your own or your familiar's) you won't be blind.
>>
How would you explain the difference between Investigation and Perception?
>>
>>52544446
>giving Sorcerers F R E E spells

We can't allow Sorcerers to have FUN now can we?
>>
>>52544465
Perception is general awareness, Investigation is being able to efficiently and effectively search a small area/room.

Perception is a scout, Investigation is a detective.
>>
>>52544465
There's so many different interpretations at this point that however you call it in your game is fine as long as you're consistent.

One I like is the idea that Perception is what your senses tell you, Investigation is what you can tell from your senses.
>>
>DM loses interest in DMing after two sessions

How do ensure they understand how fucking gay they are?

They make me jump through hoops to make a character tailored for their bullshit campaign and suddenly they are ready to bail.
>>
>>52544446
>Using a very limited resource (especially for low levels)
Nah. That just discourages them from using good stuff like twinned spell.
>>
>>52544465
The best dividing line I can think of is that investigation requires physical interaction while perception does not.
>>
Kind of off topic, but what some good books about myths and legends? Preferencially greek mythology.
I'm going to GM for the first time soon and I'm looking for some inspiration.
>>
File: 1443193283560.jpg (267KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1443193283560.jpg
267KB, 1024x682px
Assuming a nation of (variant) humans (with Magic Initiate) and (high) elves, what kind of spells and cantrips would be common, following these rules?

>Magical diets aren't sustainable on a national scale: Goodberry is emergency rations and Plant Growth casters are common enough that they might not be needed
>Charm spells are probably outlawed/not taught to peasants
>Offensive spells are only taught to professional soldiers, can't have every peasant casting firebolts

I'm thinking Move Earth, Shape Water, etc would be very popular, Light/Dancing Lights would be huge, Druidcraft would have at least one caster per village.

Obviously, Cure Wounds, Purify Food/Drink, and Unseen Servant would be ubiquitous. Floating Disk and Longstrider would be big too. Animal Friendship/Speak with Animals would have a niche. Create/Destroy Water wouldn't really be needed if there were enough wells/rivers/aqueducts to keep people supplied.
>>
>>52544465
Personally, I scrap perception entirely, passive perception becomes 10+INT+WIS and investigation is used in place of perception when applicable.

The difference is supposed to be that investigation requires you to work out things in your head what the information you have means, whereas perception is used to gather information about things that require your senses, but doesn't tell you what the information means.

Combining them gives 'Finding information and processing it'.
>>
List of types of players in class form:

Observer Class: Someone who just sits there, watches and plays combat sometimes.
Berserker Class: Someone who, when they do poorly or can't accomplish their goals right away, gets angry. Complains to the DM, or gripes about it outside of the game.
Ruler Class: A Rules-Lawyer. Grinds the game to a halt with shit like "actually, you can't get drunk in the bar, Dwarf, you have poison resistance," or "A familiar can only be from the list of animals, you can't have a (small animal) with the same statblock, that isn't RAI!"
Usurper Class: Someone who always thinks they can run the game better than the DM. Says "In MY campaign, X does this instead of that," or "I think it would be cooler if this NPC was like that NPC instead, or if the town was named X instead of Y."
Meta Class: Someone who can't stop Metagaming. "I know X is going to happen, so I'll prepare a counter before it triggers."
Tyrant Class: Someone who is clearly attempting to be the leader of the group, whether or not they really are. Will always insist people do their plan instead of others, even if the other is more reasonable.
Avatar Class: These people never roleplay. Their characters are them exactly. They won't try anything outside of this comfort zone because they believe that they can't do anything but what they are.
Begger Class: Cries to the DM if they have bad rolls or fail an action. Like the Berserker, but get sad instead of angry.
Imported Class: People who only play characters copy-pasted from outside works. "My character is from X anime!"
Gestalt Class: A mix of some of these.

Yeah, they already have different names, like Rules Lawyer, That Guy, ect, but these are easier to understand and more fun to really say.
>>
>>52544446
Sure. It doesn't fix Wild Magic's largest issue of reliance on DM fiat, but I too thought it odd that the wild magic spell had nothing to do with Wild Magic, so I give it an ehh/10 overall

>>52544558
It's just taking the "make a first level slot for two points" ability and giving them a free spell specifically for it.
>>
>>52544633
>but these are easier to understand and more fun to really say.

No to both. What makes these "class form" besides tacking "class" onto the noun that applies?

Janitor class: this guy cleans things
fag class: this guy posts things like what you just did
door class: this object is a door
cartoonist class: this person makes moving pictures

I have become the soul of wit with this INCREDIBLE template!
>>
>>52544633
Alright but where is the roleplayer class?
The munchkin class?
The helpful veteran class?
You just listed all the negative player classes, and experience has taught me that there are positives too.
>>
>>52544633
Just read this.

http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/theory/models/robinslaws.html

You're free to add in "The retard" but the surge of Autism in babbies.
>>
>>52544588
You mentioned Druidcraft, but the whole Prestidigitation family would be huge.
Illusionry should also probably be outlawed
Message, Mending. Spare the Dying could be really big if the populace gets death saves when the camera is off of them.
>>
>player gets mad when hold person doesn't work on a giant
>refuses to accept that "humanoid" doesn't mean "anything with 2 arms 2 legs and a head"
>>
>>52544774
Did you explain to him that it was referring to the creature type and not the body type?
If so, fuck that guy.
If not, it seems you're part of the problem
>>
>>52544633
Was I a Ruler Class for getting mad at my DM's PC for being listed as a Large character, and all the advantages that entailed, despite only being human, just cus' he said so?
>>
>>52544557
>fucking gay
only one clear solution

Steal their players, start your own, better campaign. Alternatively, talk to 'em, try to help maybe?
>>
>>52544794
I showed him the literal MM definition (also explaining that even things like satyrs aren't humanoids) and he didn't believe me
>>
>>52544702
Not acting like it's some huge new revelation, but I liked it.
>>52544703
It was meant for negative types only. Could do a positive list, though. Maybe later.
>>52544803
A little bit, but not too much, because that isn't trivial, really.
>>52544750
That's pretty good. I'll probably use those terms more often.
>>
>>52544817
Not necessarily related to what you're saying, but you know what I just realized? A lot of Bad Player stories share common themes with Retail Horror stories. I bet they're the same kind of people.
>>
>>52544400
if someone's trying to game the system they aren't playing a warlock, so I'd allow it
>>
>>52544817
Then you should tell him that creature types don't equate to body types, and if he keeps sperging out, shut him down.
>>
>>52544702
this actually got a laugh out of me
>>
File: 1pzWcJZ.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1pzWcJZ.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>52544190
>>52544117
I had it worse these past two weeks
>brings up details about his char in early january
>had a huge bitch fit two sessions ago and brought his char details for the second time
>Won't talk about what he wants or expects, gets mad when said stuff doesn't happen
>got mad about certain NPCs taking meassures agaisnt magic
>accuses me of punishing creative use of magic
This nagged me the most since he made several encounters faaaaaar easier with creative use of spells yet he thinks I'm actively trying to punish casters since two places were warded agaisnt magical teleportation
>got mad about the way I handled divinity
>got mad about me never describing minor shit like objects laying around in the map for him to use animate objects on
>told him that he could just say "Do i see any objects in the room?" and surprise surprise he got mad.
He never gave me issues till two weeks ago since he had enough of my GMing and I pointed out, for the second or third time, that people should bring up their issues far earlier and not wait four months into the campaign to blow up at me/other players; and speaking about other players he shat on the way they roleplayed a couple sessions ago, he also laughed at them and called them pissbabies when they started arguments due to being upset...then went on to be a huge pissbaby himself.
I get the word gets thrown out a lot but the guy definetively sounds autistic
>>
>>52544774
At my table, spells that only affect Humanoids work on Giants if you happen to be Giant-sized (or they happen to be normal-sized).
>>
>>52544841
that's an interesting thought, I see it
>>
>>52544840
Also, the "Powergamer" is sometimes called a Min-Maxer while the "Butt-Kicker" is more well known as the Murderhobo.
>>
>>52544862
could make for some interesting combos
>>
>>52544876
The line between Powergamer and Munchkin is a little blurry. But from my understanding, a powergamer is aiming for extreme optimization within the rules while a munchkin is just a fucking asshole.
>>
>the kingdom enshrines corporate personhood in law
>cast Hold Person on the local coster
>over 217 fruit and vegetable stands under the same corporate umbrella are magically paralyzed
>>
>>52544896
personally I think powergamers want to be as effective as possible but munchkins want to be more effective than everyone else, which are similar but different
like a powergamer would be glad if others have an equally powerful character because they will perform better as a whole but a munchkin would be jealous and see them as a rival or something
>>
File: 1387752452913.jpg (18KB, 349x368px) Image search: [Google]
1387752452913.jpg
18KB, 349x368px
How viable would it be to run a Monk based on Strength instead of Dexterity or Wisdom?
>>
>>52544633
>Avatar players
>necessarily a bad thing
Getting into in-person roleplaying is hard, especially for shy people.
>>
File: 1477326790760.jpg (23KB, 206x318px) Image search: [Google]
1477326790760.jpg
23KB, 206x318px
>>52544916
Haah Woow
>>
> Start stating NPCs for my 2 PCs in my campaign
> Realize their waifus and BBEGs are similar to them and their relationship to each other
> PCs are CG goliath barbarian and LN transmutation wizard that's gonna go muscle wizard route
> Team waifu is a CG Halfling fighter and a LN elf artificer who makes magical steroids
> BBEG features an Orc druid who punches things really hard via druid magic and an old wizard artificer who wears power armor a la Urza who punches things really hard via nerd rage
> Only realize this literally a minute ago

Why does my campaign unintentionally feature so much smart people who want to punch things really hard using technology, might, or magic?
>>
>>52544896
>>52544977
A powergamer picks a Fighter, which isn't really optimal, then takes the statistically best standard race, uses the best weapons, takes the best feats, and optimizes from there.

A munchkin shows up with a half-fiend kobold and four multiclasses, all from UAs.
>>
>>52544985
You'd be making your monk a whole lot more MAD than they have to be, but you can theoretically do it. STR and WIS, with a bit of DEX, just be ready to have your other stats take a noticeable hit.
Unless, of course, you're scum who rolls stats, in which case you can do whatever the fuck you feel like, you human garbage :^]
>>
>>52545020
also a valid take IMO
halfling diviner wizard vs nuclear druid
>>
>>52544985
You'd have to design a tradition for it, which would muck things up since you won't get access until level 3.

What sort of strength-based punchiness are you looking to get up to? Barbarian or Fighter are good as brawlers (with Tavern Brawler, of course), while Rogues and Bards can make effective grapplers.

Or you could make a monk tradition that does dex-based grappling I guess.
>>
>>52544985
When I last tried to think up a str puncher I ended up settling with a two-weapon fighter where I refluffed weapons into gauntlets. DW feat definitely wanted, and maaaybe grappler too. So I'm going to assume making a str puncher with monk required changing the class rules slightly to not be shit.
>>
>>52544985
I am playing a Strength-based Monk,
but I also took Fighter as my first level and wear armor and fight with a non-Monk weapon so maybe this isn't the best example. It fucking works, though.
>>
>>52544985
You would take a sizable hit to AC and Initiative, though Grappling is now much easier. Overall, it is not too viable. Convincing a DM to let you play a Barbarian with Unarmed Strike would be better.
>>
>>52544985
Replace the normal blocking projectiles ability with punching them mid air.
>>
I'm set up to run Curse of Strahd soon.

However, I already ran a slightly modified Deaths House as a Halloween adventure last year.

With Yawning portal bringing one of my first modules I ever ran, Sunless Citadel out, I'm thinking of running Sunless Citadel into Curse of Strahd, obvious connections with the Gulthais Tree.

Any good ideas, or theorys on how to link the two?

Would having them emerge from the citadel immediately into the lands of Barovia be too cheap, or perhaps have a fog roll in on the town the night after as the entire village itself is spirited into the realm as punishment for the Gulthias tree being destroyed (Obviously being a sapling offshoot of the True Gulthias Tree).
>>
>>52544985
If you're already content with gimping yourself just make a barbarian with tavern brawler. It's definitely not the best and you'll eventually need to have a magic weapon for emergencies, but you'll be a lean mean wrestling machine and your table will either love or hate you for it.

If you really want to kick it up a notch you can also do barb 5/rogue X for maximum athletics. You might need to use a shiv for sneak attack though unless you can convince your dm to let you do sneak punches. There's plenty of fun options available, but wizards doesn't like it when fun and viable are the same thing. Bottom line is do whatever you want, it's a co-operative game that's balanced by a person on the other end of the table. You won't ruin the game by being "less than optimal".
>>
>>52545109
fog rolling in sounds thematic as well as (importantly) simple
might oversell the trees importance but YMMV
>>
https://github.com/5egmegaanon/5etoolsR20

Just pushed out an update of some stuff I've been working on lately.
- Removed CR from init window, added sheet button
- Sheet type now auto-selected.
- Import lists are now sorted automatically.
- Psionics abilities are labeled in the import list.
- Import lists can now be searched by name.
>>
File: 1425955638960.gif (2MB, 348x323px) Image search: [Google]
1425955638960.gif
2MB, 348x323px
Give me your characters, /5eg/! Give me your classes, your races, your backstory, your stories, your best and your worst! I want characters, people I can use as NPCs or legends!
>>
>>52544633
You forgot Autistic Class: You
>>
>>52545129
Well the Gulthias Tree in Strahd is a pretty big deal and the center of power for the Druids of Barovia and the origin of the blights.

Perhaps the players can be pulled into Barovia not by Strahds machinations, but the Druids fury of the destruction of one of the great trees kin.

And then Strahd takes an interest in them later?
>>
>>52544633
>>52544703
Combo of Helpful Veteran and Ruler

When you're very experienced and will always correct other players when they'd actually do more damage than what they rolled or how they could pull of what they intend and never, EVER mentioning when they rolled too much due to their own miscalculation but then seething about how they just can't read the rules or their own fucking class and understand why they're wrong
>>
File: gaegehj31.jpg (146KB, 760x1052px) Image search: [Google]
gaegehj31.jpg
146KB, 760x1052px
>>52545147

For one of my BBEG, I used the aetherborn race and some stuff I rolled up on the villain charts in the DMG.

Now I have an artificial human that's a transmutation wizard/monk that is gonna take over fantasy china by kindnapping and holding hostage the loved ones of the various faction leaders currently in charge of fantasy china.

All to become Emperor for the rest of eternity.

Pic related, him.
>>
New DM here want advice. My players started a small scale cult and through chance and theatrics they have managed to amass quite a few followers in this small backwoods town that pays taxes to a local small time warlord. They want to topple him. What should I do? I considered having a gang of goons come into the town and rough stuff up, break some things, to send a message but I almost want the party to have something more complicated than "you go to his fort and murder him" happen.
>>
How would you integrate the Dragonborn into Eberron? I see that 4e added in some lore and had them in some corner of Khorvaire but I feel they are pretty meek for what 5e plants them out to be. All other races are pretty well known but it seems that the Dragonborn are just taking the eternal shitter cause no one ever thought they would ever be a thing when they made Eberron.
>>
>>52544285
Incoming blog post:

>Our party is collecting 5 maguffins to seal the ancient evil (demon) away forever.
>Playing as LE goblin with plans to seal demons then conquer the world for monstrous races, pretty outspoken about this IC, only one PC has trouble mine
>This PC is self-described as "good", for example: he drinks demon blood, merges body and soul with a demon, and seeks to empower demons.

We found a deck of many things and he drew the void card. As such, he is currently the demon masquerading as the PC and our characters only get the sense that something is off.

Would it be over the line to smite him when we figure it out that he's a straight up demon? The GM will give us the chance to go get his soul but his PC won't let us exorcise the demon and eliminating his character is, unironically, what my character would do. It'd make my life so much easier in game.

I realize it's gonna be shitty to the other player but he made his choice and essentially betrayed the party. I feel like it's time his chickens came home to roost.
>>
>>52545257
>I'M playing as a LE goblin with plans to seal demons then conquer the world for monstrous races, pretty outspoken about this IC, only one PC has trouble WITH mine. ***

Sorry if that was worded confusingly, phone posting.
>>
>>52545173
for what it's worth I'd enjoy it as a player
>>
>>52545147
>DMing a new campaign this weekend
>One of my players is playing as a 90 year old human, who until recently was completely oblivious to magic, until he found an ancient magical tome, and now he's a fledgling level 1 wizard.
>>
>>52545257
Straight up smite his ass if you have to. PC killing might seem bad, but if it's good for and what the majority of the party would do, do it.

Whenever my group has enough of a certain player, I'm usually the one who offs the guy in the game, even if most of the time I'm a low level bard or wizard up against a min maxed rogue or a buffed up fighter.
>>
>>52545257
>>52545287
asking for advice isn't blogposting ya goofball
>>
>>52544649
But nobody sane uses the 'make a first level slot' or else they become literally a wizard but worse.
>>
>>52545147
Chungus the barbarian was a simple man, in more ways than one. Although he couldn't speak a single word, he proved an asset to his team with his passion for smashing, maiming, murder and cooking. Sometimes he forgot that food needed to be cooked, but his stomach didn't seem to mind. Early on he found a basic phylactery born from a primitive attempt at lichdom. He decided to break it and wear it as a necklace in which he collects trophies of all his fallen enemies. A sane man would not consider idly wearing necromantic paraphernalia to be a good idea, but heroes are not sane men and Chungus is wholly convinced an idea is some sort of bird. He went on to save the wandering desert nomads by stealing their heirloom jewel, to unite goblins and men despite their age long feud and to eventually cure his homeland of the violent storms ravaging it once and for all. Truly a noble man with a just cause. Not much of a conversationalist though. Don't touch his axe either.
>>
>>52545147
A basic farmer boy who rode his horse alot, very patriotic and joined the army as a low ranking cavalry soldier. After some lucky hits on enemies, he becomes a good leader, before losing his hand on the field. Getting one from an artificer, he retires becomes an alcoholic and then begins setting up mercenary squads. And that's how the party met their new boss.
>>
>>52545244
Depending on the relationship of the town to the warlord it could go many ways. The straightforward answer is to weaken them until no one wants to be with the warlord. They still need to do supply runs and scavange for things. Not necessarily do Raiders/Warlords ALWAYS pillage. You could break their weapons, spoil their food, poison their dinner, burn their tents and many more involved things. If the things that keep the underlings in check stop coming in they'll probably separate and no longer be such a serious organized threat.

Another way could be to do a Infiltrate so you can get close to him and then backstab him. If they have a massive following they can just replace a lot of low ranking members and all try to go up the ladder until all of the Warlords subordinates are traitors.

The last idea I have is to try and lay seige. make them a bigger threat that they would probably need a army for. How do they gather this army? How do they organize it? Is it a mercenary army? A Lord's army? Their extended following?

Writing outlines for this would probably be the best way to start this.
>>
>>52545397
Thank you so much
>>
New DM trying to wrap my head around making challenging combats based on party's comp.
What kinds of encounters (Monsters, Setting, etc.) would be easy/hard for the following "unbalanced" groups?

>A - Team Spellcaster: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

>B - Team Tank: Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter (Str), Paladin

>C - Team Dexterity: Fighter (Dex), Monk, Ranger, Rogue

>D - Team Healer: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin
>>
>>52545337
Magic classes are almost always just going to be able to straight up murder martial classes.
>>
>>52545325
lmao, my current character is a 74 year human, who also happens to be a lv1 wizard. he was a librarian for all of his life and the magic he has it's what was left on him from passing pages throughout the years.
he has 6 dex and 7 con so his age fits perfectly.
>>
>>52545478
>rolling stats
NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
1 foot deep water that is dirty and has blotches of green and white algae

Patch of green slime under it for a good 10 feet~ down a corridor

What passive perception would you need to detect it?
>>
Can True Resurrection be used to get pseudo-immortality?
The only limit is that you use it within 200yrs of death, so could you use it repeatedly whenever you die because every death effectively just resets the timer?
Assuming you get killed by something other than age (perhaps poisioning yourself or something).
>>
I fucked up, /5eg/.

I'm getting ready to run my first 5e campaign, and I had the idea to paint up minis for all of the PCs. I mentioned that idea, and everyone is really excited.

Unfortunately, two of the PCs will be a pain in the ass to get a good mini for. Dragonborn war cleric and Firbolg moon druid. I can find something for the cleric, but there aren't a lot of options. But a 5e Firbolg mini? No luck so far. And on top of that, there are going to be all of his damn wildshape forms. He mostly wants to shapeshift into a bear, which I thought would be fine until I looked for a good mini. How are there so few good bear miniatures?

(The rest of the party is Human ranger archer, Fire Genasi wizard, and Drow rogue, which all should be easy enough.)
>>
>>52545499
I'd say it's a hard DC, whatever that is this edition. 20 or something.
How dirty are we talking?
>>
File: 1488242862449.png (429KB, 540x759px) Image search: [Google]
1488242862449.png
429KB, 540x759px
>>52545337
The party doesn't have an issue with him as much as what he's doing is abhorrent to all of us IC. He is only problematic to my character in that he contradicts, opposes, interrupts, threatens, and challenges me at every single fucking opportunity.

I don't want to inhibit his fun, and I am far and away the closest to our group's "that guy" so I try not to judge him (he's edgy but chill, definitely not that guy) but it just seems fitting to take him out asap. Both IC and OOC.

>>52545348
Haha my bad. Just not used to posting walls of text.
>>
>>52545454
A - A sorcerer with Counterspell and Subtle Spell metamagic.
B - A really strong dex-save attack or a single trap room that'll crush them (Since none of them can teleport)
C - Probably a good Wisdom Save or Suck would work well here.
D - A hardcore martial, provided they all specced 'healing'. Maybe a martial with the feat 'Resilient (WIS)'.
>>
>>52545523
Please explain how killing yourself, then casting true resurrection might stave off aging?
>>
>>52545251
4e lore is:
>Dragonborn are loyal to dragonkind and are natives to Argonnessen
>There is a few thousand in an enclave in Q'Barra among the other lizard people
That's about as integrated as you'll get them without rewriting a bunch of the setting, and that's still about as integrated as changelings, shifters, and kalashtar are.

Other race ideas:
- Integrate tabaxi as the equivalent of rakshasa tieflings, found in far western Khorvaire and the Demon Wastes, hated and feared by just about everyone
- Aasimar pop up in the family lines of people who deal with Siberys dragonshards a lot, and occasionally in those near or related to the Silver Flame
- Firbolgs can be found in the Eldeen Reaches and are far descendants of giants who opposed what the giants did that fucked up Xen'drik
- Tritons... live underwater? Just throw an underwater country off the coast of Sharn or some shit
>>
>>52544985
Strength shadow monk is very powerful. At level 6 you get advantage on grapples any time you want, if they dont break out of it you can jump 20 feet into the air and drop their dumb ass off a cliff.
>>
>>52545537
Make one mini per character.
If the druid wants a mini for each of his wildshape forms, he can first fuck off, and then do it his damn self.
Also I suggest using either some sort of flat-faced ogre mini for the firbolg, or use Heroforge.
>>
>>52545565
That's part of my question really, does TR just bring you back at the exact age when you died?
It says it'll give you new organs and/or body which is what the problem with aging boils down to
>>
>>52545537
Reaper has a couple decent dragonman minis (that's the actual term they use).
As for firbolg I have no idea but let me know if you find one because I want one
>>
>>52545542
Try to compromise, or if you're like me, do stuff in the background to get your goals. Most of the time I join a campaign I'm usually passed over (Even though my group tries to include me, they usually drown me out so I've basically given up hope and faith in them even considering my plans or goals) in what the party does or chooses what next to do. I tend to do small things that add up to my main goal.

Buy some land here, make some contacts there.

Then boom, I'm all of suddenly the Gnome version of J.D. Rockefeller in the setting.
>>
>>52545588
Oh, I'm definitely not doing a mini for every wildshape form. But he'll almost certainly want the bear as his mini. Until he hits level 6 and has access to better forms.
>>
>>52545537
It's not cheap, but Hero Forge (https://www.heroforge.com/) has some decent options for humanoids. They have Dragonborn, and for the Firbolg you could probably just make a hairy Elf or something.
>>
>>52545454
For team A I would say that it would be easiest for them to fight in few battles against bigger enemies, and extremely hard/frustrating to fight in multiple battles against less strong enemies, due to spell slot limitations.

B isn't a bad comp, imo. They could take on most challenges. Dex is their only downside, but high HP values kind of negate that

Team C's biggest fault is the lack of dedicated healer. Too many battles would probably lead them to just want to spam rests whenever possible.

Team D would lead to longer battles full of heal circlejerks, I think. So I think they'd mostly just get beaten by monsters that can outlast their stalling.

I've only DM'd one campaign, so take my observations with a grain of salt
>>
>>52545611
Yeah, going to get the Dragonman Warrior, probably. I'd like to find more minis I want at Miniature Market before buying, though, because shipping costs more than the mini.
>>
>>52545617
My policy is that you get one mini for your guy and anything else is up to you
I'll provide cardboard tokens though
>>
>>52545637
Where do you live?
I'm in the UK and I get my reaper minis off of eBay, usually from game stores in the UK or nearby EU and just wait for the ones I want to be listed.
Doesn't tend to be so bad then.
>>
>>52545617
Again, one mini per character.
If you give him two, then all the others might end up asking for minis for cohorts or familiars or whatever. While it might not be favouritism, it can easily be seen as such.
And since he's going to focus on different forms later on (which would make the bear miniature a very temporary one), just give him a special bear token.
You want to focus on the characters as much as possible, not special forms they get.
>>
>>52545454
assuming low levels and nothing too out of the expected builds (not-valor/swords bard, not-hexblade/pact of bladelock, not-bladesinger and not-stone sorc)
>A hard
anything able to close gaps quickly, anything winning init or anything getting a surprise round; high +hit in general, things with beefy multiattacks, legendary/magic resists in general, etc.
>A easy
clumped together low level critters, stuff out of melee range and/or unable to cross the gaps; low wis/int/cha mobs, etc.

>B hard
anything with range, mass wis/int saves, dex saves and stealth for the heavy armor users, resist/immunity to normal damage, etc.
>B easy
squishy archers/spellcasters in melee range, solo big brutes, bunched together small mobs, etc.

>C hard
arguably more balanced but still susceptible to stuff able to close gaps, strong save or sucks, magic puzzles and/or special utility, normal damage resist/immunity, tight corridors, etc.
>C easy
stuff out of range, stealth missions, dex saves obv.

>D hard
rushing for damage quickly (pally aside), slack, stealth missions to some extend, magic resists to some extend
>D easy
anything that is not on a cloc, actually pretty balanced because bard can pick up the
>>
>>52545597
Why wouldn't it restore you to how you were before you died? It's not a fountain of youth, anon.
>>
>>52545495
it's ok, i didn't want to be useful either way.
>>
>>52545454
>A - Team Spellcaster: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Crazy aberrant magi-scientist (mind-flayer?) wanting to reclaim illithid-kind creates a new prototype mini-Tarrasque. Use the reflective carapace(maybe lessen the range of failure) and magic resistance trait from the original. May include a Beta or Gamma version as well.

>B - Team Tank: Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter (Str), Paladin
Exploration of ancient tribal ruins, not!Aztecs ended up trapping everything. A dungeon of dex traps and puzzles. Include poisons that strength drain.

>D - Team Healer: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin
Something poison themed, but your poison is special. While poisoned, healing the creature does minimum healing, unless the creature is at 0 hit points, at which point it does no healing.
>>
>>52545580
Just because shadowstepping gives you advantage on your next attack roll and grapples replace an attack within your Attack action doesn't mean that said grapples are actually attacks; they are skill checks.

Shadow Monk doesn't give you any benefit to grappling beyond being a Monk who can run fast. Shadow Monk grapplers are still real strong thanks to Silence (get fucked forever, casters) and bonus Dodge.
>>
is grappling a meme or does people actually use it?

i don't think any of my players ever tried to make a grapple mid combat.
>>
>>52545612
He's always talking about how he'll annihilate me if I become a nuisance and threatens me constantly. I've made it super clear that I will win at any cost and am not above fighting (extremely) dirty.

I have a standing army of about 2000, soon to be 3000. I have a voodoo doll of him and a witch doctor in my employ. Several revenue streams, a naval fleet, and a lair a henchman PC and his henchmen.

He has a demon arm. That's it.

I've been building my empire since the campaign started. We're 4 months in and I am a force to be reckoned with but he has no idea because he does higher dpr than me.

Even if he survives this demon shit, he is not going to survive my coup.
>>
>>52545712
>he thinks beefy martials give a shit about traps
FOOL! We have been forged in the crucible of utter shit that was 3x. Lacking any decent class features or some way to be useful to the group outside of hitting things, we were forced to learn the ways of object and environment interaction.

We WILL disarm or circumvent your traps through clever application of rope, pitons, crowbars, large poles, bracing objects, or destruction of the environment. Doesn't matter if you're shooting fireballs, dropping ceilings, opening up pits, or rolling boulders. We are wise to all of that shit, and even made impromptu traps akin to those of our own, since we had no other means of dealing AoE damage to groups of creatures.
>>
>>52545745
Grappling is actually very useful.
I, and other players I've played with, have indeed used it. It's also especially useful after you knock an enemy prone.
>>
>>52545770
open hand monks are great because they can flurry to grapple and prone an opponent in one go
>>
>>52545745
>flying enemy
>grapple, it's fucked

>spellcaster
>grapple into silence, he's fucked

>magic-resistant fuckers
>grapple and prone, they're fucked

>fighting anything near a hazard of any sort
>grapple and chuck them off a cliff / into a fire / onto spikes, they're fucked

>anything spamming Dodge
>grapple, they're fucked

>important figure you don't want to murder
>grapple, they're fucked

The only grappling meme is Barbarogues. These are people who don't actually play those characters, theorycrafting about how great it would be if nothing could ever beat your check because of high Strength, advantage on the rolls, and Expertise. No one actually does this, though.
You take Tavern Brawler or Shield Master and can now grapple and prone every time in the same turn in one order or the other; this is especially effective with Monk or Battlemaster, and doubly so in the latter case if you have a Rogue. Nothing lives.
>>
File: Character Art.png (132KB, 621x476px) Image search: [Google]
Character Art.png
132KB, 621x476px
Is this character idea too annoying/High-School Drama Class-Core?
>Human Wild-Magic Sorcerer named "Fredrick Darlington"
>Despite the chaotic nature of his powers, he tries to live a normal, habitual life.He has a pregnant wife, and money troubles has lead him to join in on my party's adventure so he can bring the money home. He's lawful good, and often second guesses the actions he takes on his adventures. Keeps a journal that he writes in everyday, addressed to his wife and future kid in case he never makes it back. He'll lament deaths of party members and NPC's far more than the average player. He'll either slowly become unhinged due to stress, or just very depressed. When I feel like his character ark is complete, I'll ask the DM in private to kill him to give him a tragic end.

I'm not going to try to overact and get in the way of the adventure, and I'll fulfill my role in the party. I just think it would be interesting to play with the idea of the adventurer who's not totally on board with his job and is overall a normal dude.
Pic related is his "character art"
>>
>>52545147
Boshrick Blackhammer, Son of Burrodown Blackhammer, a rugged dwarf battlerager who wields a chunky broadsword alongside heavy spikes on his armour, grappling foes and hurling them to the ground for a good stabbing. Most recently gained some fame during a fight against a roaming Frogemoth in the bogs of X, where he was swallowed hole but cut his way out from the inside. His build is stocky as one might expect from a dwarf, but he doesn't wear a beard, instead sporting thick mutton chops claiming that he got sick of his beard getting pulled in bar-fights.

Ecksyn, a Kobold wizard who fell in love with a dragon and set out on the path to obtain vast magical power and knowledge so that he might catch her attention. He does not plan on bowing to her as a mere dragonmage servant, but seeks to obtain enough arcane power to approach her as an equal.

"Sir" Boglick, A ruddy goblin with dreams of greatness, who happened to grow attached to a tattered childrens book looted from a human village, enamoured with tales of the knight in shining armour. Tales of a goblin with a muck-painted shield and rusty lance riding a mangy boar offering his knightly services to those who need it. He is a harmless nuisance, prone to vulgar language and drinking too much and getting ran out of town. His only dream, he claims, is to win a kiss from a real princess and anyone who doubts him can choke on a rotton boot. When raiders attempted to sack the city of Y, he and his trusty steed joined the battle, his tattered banner held high as he charged in to aid the defenders. They fought heroically with the might of three knights but eventually fell and died. The city did honour him though, and erected a humble statue in some unimportant corner of the city, and it became a legend that young maidens who give the statue a kiss on the cheek will be lucky in love, perhaps one day even a princess might stop by.
>>
>>52545818
But Barbarogue is fun. Being able to give yourself advantage for sneak attack is fun and grappling everything is fun too
>>
>>52544285
how would a party fight an enemy that big?
>>
>>52545876
By magically getting that big too.
>>
>>52545876
hitting it repeatedly or making it fail enough save throws.
>>
>>52545876
Just walk up to it and beat on it because 5E rules don't really make Medium vs. Absurdly Colossal fights dangerous for the insects.

I mean, if a fucking Tiny fly had the stats of an orc, it'd still run just as much a chance of fucking up your day as any old' Medium orc.
>>
so.... i've been told that the next campaign is supposed to be a slight bit edgier, and i was asked that my next character fit that description...

so i came up with a "undertaker cleric" - someone who takes it upon himself to bury bodies that adventurers normally just leave strewn about (with the grave domain). the problem is, that besides that, which feels like a gimmick i can't really think of a whole lot of other stuff for his character, and im afraid that he'll end up being a complete one trick pony that will get old real quick

anyone got some advice/ideas for fleshing out a character like that?
>>
File: max.jpg (28KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
max.jpg
28KB, 400x397px
Friend of mine wants to roll a ranger, and to both our surprise (we're all new to 5e) favoured enemy no longer grants any bonus to damage or to hit.

What's a decently balanced way of letting the ranger do well against Dragons, since we're playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

She's in a party with a wizard, fighter, and druid.
>>
>>52545921
You should not use the PHB ranger. Look up the revised ranger instead. It's WotC playtest material, a bit stronger up-front but overall a good fix to the horse shit that is the PHB ranger.
>>
>>52545898
I wouldn't worry about it. One trick pony gimmick is perfect descriptor for such a campaign.
>>
No.52545921
Revised Ranger is the best UA they've made so far. Let him use it.
>>
How long can I 'hold' a spell for?

If I cast a spell before combat and 'hold' it until the condition 'combat starts' can I then, on the first turn of combat cast a 1+ level spell and then 'reaction' the spell I was holding to cast two in the same turn?
>>
>>52545976
If you don't cast a readied spell by the start of your next turn, the casting is wasted.
>>
>>52545939
Ooh, this is much better. Not sure why dragons aren't listed as a possible favoured enemy though.
>>
>>52545985
Greater favored enemy I think. They get two.
>>
>>52545985
They're a greater favored enemy, which you get at 6th level.
>>
>>52545985
They are, as an improved favoured enemy, which they get later on
>>
>>52545976
You use your reaction to cast a readied spell. You only get one.
Depends on initiative, ultimately.
>>
>>52546001
>>52546002
I might just let her ignore that since this module has the PCs fighting dragons from the get go. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>52544649
Make it 1 Sorcery Point and we're good.
>>
File: 1490098942916.jpg (168KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1490098942916.jpg
168KB, 1033x679px
>>52545138
You're the best, megaanon.
>>
>>52545820
Why would that character adventure for more than one or two sessions?

He'd probably get enough money for his troubles soon enough and go back to not trying to get himself fucking killed.
>>
I haven't been around the last few weeks, how was the mystic?
>>
>>52545945
>such a campaign
you might misunderstand me, the campaign isn't based around being as edgy as possible, i asked what the tone was (both for the general setting but more importantly, the other characters) after the dm expained the settings setup, if it was lighthearted jolly adventure type stuff or on the opposite spectrum, i.e. slightly "darker" (man, i can't even think of a word for it without it sounding derogatory) and he said that that i would probably do well with something darker
>>
>>52545898
A man who buries the bodies Adventures leave in their wake would, eventually, grow sympathetic towards those who he buries without also holding steadfast hatred for them. So he would probably look on the Adventuring world with shame, and attempt to move away from people who are braggarts about kill counts, or act like life in any form is worthless. Make the guy honorable, someone who believes that, although taking life is necessary, it should be avoided if possible. Roll non-lethal for final hits if you initiate the combat, but if they start it, finish it. And of course, take their valuables as a tithe to your deity's cause.
>>
File: 1491056868218.gif (2MB, 285x205px) Image search: [Google]
1491056868218.gif
2MB, 285x205px
>>52544916
This guy.
>>
>>52545745
Grappling a foe stops them from moving and grants the player the ability to move them (At half speed.)

This makes some enemies outright struggle, pulling them into bad positions, away from allies, towards hazards or simply just stopping them from escaping or targetting your squishier party members. And to escape, they have to devote their action for a chance to break free, and odds are you can just grab them again next turn.

Once more, if they are knocked prone, they are advantage to be hit, and disadvantage to attack. They cannot spend half movement to stand up, as they are grappled and have none to spend.

Think about some enemies, a Beholder for example. Deadly as fuck, but has no chance of breaking out of a grapple without simply blasting the guy holding him dead, you'd be suprised how fucked a beholder is when it can't move away when things get tough. Remember the golden strat for killing beholders.

Cast Darkness on something your Martial is wearing or holding. Martial grapples the Beholder. Darkness fills the area, the Beholder cannot target any of his eye beams. The Beholders anti-magic gaze supresses the darkness in a cone in front of him, but prevents use of his eye beams. He cannot move.

His only options are to use his incredibly mediocre bite attack to chew on the heavily armoured martial, or to use his pathetic strength and mere +2 Athletics to wiggle free.

Beholders aside, even strong warriors can be fucked by a potent grapple, I remember one battle against a high level Demon that in the first turn, the Fighter knocked the demon prone, and the Barbarian grappled him. The demon had to throw everything, with disadvantage, at the Barbarian to try and kill him, or waste his entire action to try to escape the grapple. The fight which was supposed to be a battle to push us to our limit, was a joke as they only had to contest with the meager effects of the demons Lair actions.
>>
>>52546047
nice, thanks.
>>
>>52546041
It can do everything anyone else can do, but worse.

Best in term of versatility, but gets worse as time goes on.
>>
>>52546037
Because plot, or something. I don't know.
My DM said he's going to make a bigger emphasis on buying consumables too, so that would drain some of the loot.
>>
>>52546045
I might have misunderstood and sperged. The word 'edgy' is essentially bullshit these days. Somehow its got to be a bad thing.

But as I say, the opposite of edge... is cheese. When you have too much cheese, you cut it with some edge. If you have too much edge, you grab more cheese.

See Cheesiness can be just as unwanted as edginess, and yet I don't see 'cheeselord' thrown around.
>>
>>52545984
Can I get a page reference? Under readied actions in the PHB all it says is
When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must' have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell's magic requires concenlration (explained in chapter 10). If your concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the web spell and ready magic missiJe, your web spell ends, and if you take damage before you release magie missiJe with your reaction, your concentration might be broken.
>>52546020
Well of course, but I'm asking if I can, one the first turn of combat, use my reaction at the start of the combat to cast the spell and then on my turn continue to cast another spell as my action.
>>
File: campaign2.png (2MB, 1357x1463px) Image search: [Google]
campaign2.png
2MB, 1357x1463px
>tfw your campaign setting documentation is nearly 40 pages long and isn't even finished
>>
>>52545921
Use Revised Ranger, It is fun, effective and balanced.

The biggest issue with it is the ability to magically and perfectly track your favoured enemies, your ranger will be able to, at any point say "Are there any dragons?" and you'll have to point out any within like a mile radius, the direction and distance of where they are.

Oh, and the ability to pick "Humanoid" as your favoured enemy in a game where 60% of all enemies will be humanoids.
>>
Anybody got a good setting/country generator on hand?

Trying to come up with some new countries for a campaign I'm gonna start on Friday.
>>
Anyone ever think about fucking a Spriggan, the thought of pubes made of the softest sweetest grass gets me daimonds
>>
File: maximilian-madsen-midorisketches.jpg (368KB, 1920x954px) Image search: [Google]
maximilian-madsen-midorisketches.jpg
368KB, 1920x954px
>>52545147
Keiko Kobayashi (NPC)
Race: Human (Isalanamir or 'green skin humans')
Objective: Learn the arts of arcane magic.
Class: Ink Weaver (class only for people who come from the east. The class is basically sorcerer but the fluff if that every spell is a tatto in the user body)
Backstory: Daughter of diplomat travels to another land to study in magic school and learn to fight great evil from her land that after many years no one believes in.
>>
>52546089
>52546089
Now this is some shit I could really get into.
>>
>>52545147
Kas, a blue scales Kobold Dragon sorcerer obsessed with electicuting things and the fact he has dragon's blood in his veins. Completely egotistical and won't shut up about his superior genetics
>>
>>52546089
When you don't hear the 'start with a town'.
>>
>>52546116
Th-thanks, Badlinkanon.
>>
As someone who's only played LMoP out of the offical adventures, what are the best choices for a Revised Ranger's Favored Enemies? I'd guess something like this. With the first being normal and the second being greater.

CoS: Undead, ???
SKT: ???, Giants
EE: ???, Elementals
RoD: ???, Fiends
HotDQ: ???, Dragons

Is it safe to assume that in most situations you want Humanoids as your first choice?
>>
>>52546053
can you legendarily resist a grapple?
>>
>>52546023
You only really fight 1 or 2 Drakes before level 6, and the idea is that no Ranger as the knowledge or experience at being actually able to hunt dragons until they are.. Well, more experienced. Level 6 is still early in the game and will be before they actually have to fight a dragon head on, it will be nice for them to work towards and something for them to worry about "Crap, I'm level 5 and hes been dropping hints about dragons, I really hope I get level 6 before we fight one." which makes the ability that more rewarding to obtain, reflecting that the character is preparing to be ready for dragons, not "Oh, Psh, I may have 9 hitpoints but I can track a dragon from miles away and tell you what colour its scale are by its poop, I know all their weak points and how to exploit them too."
>>
File: WesternMapFINALE.jpg (4MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapFINALE.jpg
4MB, 5000x5000px
>>52546138
But I have plenty of towns.
>>
The Magus was one of the few things I liked from Pathfinder. Were I to convert would it be as simple as going 'you're an arcane half caster so you have 1st-5th Level Wizards Spells and prepare them, you're a d8, medium armor, martial weapons' or is there something getting in the way of that? I mean I remember them getting 6th Level slots but that doesn't work out well here. They also had Cantrips but Rangers and Paladins don't here.

Basically I want a gish more castery than Eldritch Knight at the price of less martially.
>>
>>52546152
Is a grapple a saving throw?
Nope.
>>
>>52546111
Bazuso, Human Barbarian. Not savage like most with his class, instead he's just a thug for hire with an anger issue. Think, metropolitan berserker.

Gets along with his partner, a halfling rogue, who deals with the money they share and figures out who is hiring him.
>>
>>52546165
StoneSorcerers do "You're a full caster, but with the capacity to bitchslap people with a maul." very well.
>>
>>52545147

Sir Eckert Freeman, a human knight in his autumn years, has received permission from his liegelord to leave the estate after 40 years of faithful service, so that he may venture through the realms and find a death befitting a true knight, instead of dying in his sleep,

He's aided by a strong moral compass, seeking to be an example of forthright and chivalrous knighthood in a dark time as well as his nascent magical aptitude, obtained from a lifetime of idly reading over magical texts in his off-hours and finally awakening in his new travels.

(LG Eldritch Knight 7)
>>
>>52546165
Stone Sorcerer, Bladesinger, Hexblade, Valour Bard, Swords Bard, melee Dragon Sorcerer, a reflavored Paladin and Arcana Clerics are actually amazing when built for melee with shillelagh.
>>
>>52546165
You play a Mystic and pretend you're not a psion.
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
>>52546144
>minmaxing
>>
>>52545976
Officially, its what others are saying - It fizzles at the start of your next turn, but something has to be said when the lead rules guy has a personal homebrew rule that lets spellcasters "hold" it until they make an action.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/25/how-does-readying-a-spell-work/
>>
>>52545147
PHB Ranger(hunter)
Volo's Lizardfolk
Was found on the side of the road, his tribe was destroyed by a Dragonborn tribe under the influence of a Hobgoblin army.

He quickly showed his prowess in combat with spear and shield. The life cleric is his guardian so to speak.

Given that lizardfolk don't really have feelings, He is "protecting" the group in return for a "safety in numbers" situation. pretty fun role play, tasty flavor
>>
>>52546174
not the same Anon but what would be some examples of a strength saving throw
>>
>>52546211
why am i not surprised Jeremy "Casterfag" Crawford has a bunch of rules-for-me-not-for-thee shit going on to make his darlings even better than RAW already makes them
>>
>>52546165
Don't know if is good but
>>
>>52546144
Humanoids to all.

I'm pretty sure even CoS you fight more Humanoids than Undead, but you might still want Undead for this one.
>>
>>52546206
It's more of not picking a useless option. Outside of an official adventure I wouldn't care because it's impossible to demand the DM let me know what monsters we'll be fighting, but someone choosing a creature they've never fought and never will fight makes no sense from a fluff or crunch point of view.
>>
>>52546164
>My world is based on the wacky geographic boundaries of the boxy states of the mid west

You stop that.
>>
>>52546199
Ah yes, keep forgetting those. But my sperg demands more perfect compromise.
>>52546202
That's a lot to go through but it might ultimately be saner to do than my 'gotta fill the gap' shit.
>>52546203
If your psionics are strong enough what happens when you pretend hard enough?
>>
>>52546231
Half of the Battlemaster maneuvers, avoiding getting knocked on your ass by means other than Shove attacks (several wind and earth-type spells, as well as Animal creature types have "save or fall prone" shit going on)
>>
>>52546231
Effects that force movement. Telekinesis for one.
>>
Who makes the best gish? I'm quite fond of Battlemaster abilities, which class pairs best with Fighter3? Bard?
>>
Daily reminder that you're homebrew a shit. A SHIT!
>>
>>52546231
Shrugging off sticky webbing, resisting a telekenetic pull, keeping steady footed during tremoring earthquakes, avoiding being knocked back by a powerful gust of wind.

Grappling and resisting of, expressly use Athletics and Acrobatics skill checks and contests.
>>
>>52546263
Mystic

What's everyone's favorite mapping tool for buildings and such
>>
>>52546259
>>52546258
What about certain alternatives to dex saves? Like a beam falling from a roof and instead of dodging they catch and halt it?
>>
>>52546263
Paladins are the best gish.
>>
File: wildwestdragon.jpg (123KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
wildwestdragon.jpg
123KB, 900x450px
>>52546254
>states to the west are boxy
>the old states further east have squiggly lines
It's a Wild West setting. The western states have boxy, western-styled borders specifically because they are western-styled states by design.
>>
>>52546298
Wouldn't failure of something like that be so risky, that everyone would prefer dex saves instead?
>>
>>52546312
If you have proficiency and a high Strength you'll be more likely to succeed the save to catch it.
>>
>>52546312
well the risk in theory is no worse than if you fail a dex save and might help make strength based builds more viable for roleplaying
>>
Of the new spells, which is the most broken and why?

For me, Puppetry, just how many fights with powerful martial creatures that will just absolutely be ended by the caster going "Puppetry, drop your greatsword, walk away, I picked it up, now what are you going to do?"
>>
>>52546306
Yes, but Western states in America got their shapes mostly by grump men sitting in an office trying to split up the territories 'Murica kept buying without ever having visited them, unlike the Eastern states which were defined mostly by rivers and forests.

Other than "Its a Western", why are your provinces shaped like that?
>>
>>52546382
Its that and Healing Elixer.
>>
>>52546395
Because
>grump men sitting in an office trying to split up the territories 'Murica kept buying without ever having visited them
>>
>>52546382
It's strong, but you can do the same thing with Command. The powerful cantrip with no drawbacks is the Druid 1d10 spell, but that's because no one plays Druid, so they need to be given buffs to increase numbers. It's why straight up fighters get seven ASIs.
>>
>>52546088
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/25/how-does-readying-a-spell-work/

This is in part due to the PHB errata:
>You have until the start of your next turn to use a readied action.
>>
>>52546422
Command requires a shared language, an unambiguous one-word command, and can't move an enemy directly into danger.

Puppet doesn't give a shit about language, moves a creature one space EXACTLY as you require (so you can provoke an AoO from one of your allies regardless of where they and the enemy are in relation to you), AND gets them to drop a weapon on top of that.

Puppet is strictly better than Command and can't be circumvented by the DM being a monkey pawing bitch. Every fucking time you'd conceivably want to Puppet, you can get an AoO and disarm out of it.
>>
>>52546422
...I play druids.
>>
>>52546474
Good, you get power ups now. But most people don't play druids, which I think is because of the aesthetic. It's not because it's low-powered, that's for fucking sure.
>>
>>52546509
I really don't see how the Cantrip's that good. Sure it's d10 but requiring you to get into melee isn't worth it most of the time.

Druids are much more powerful then people give them credit for though. Even a Land Druid gets powerful spells and Wizard recharges. Call Lightning then turning into a bird is brutal.
>>
>tfw my party's bard acts like a fighter
>tfw my party's monk acts like a cleric
>tfw my party's fighter acts like a rogue
>tfw my party's gunslinger acts like a bitch
I love my players, but watching their violent flail through every combat is really frustrating sometimes.
>>
File: 1491291825604.png (222KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491291825604.png
222KB, 900x900px
>tfw my party's bard acts like a fighter
>tfw my party's monk acts like a cleric
>tfw my party's fighter acts like a rogue
>tfw my party's gunslinger acts like a bitch
I love my players, but watching them flail through every combat is really frustrating sometimes.
>>
>Picking Keen Senses as a half-elf variant over a regular half elf makes the same result, but with one less skill proficiency

wut
>>
File: nbc-community.jpg (136KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nbc-community.jpg
136KB, 1024x768px
Newfag here. Is D&D a fun game for normies and if so where can I start?

My friends and I saw the D&D episodes of Community and thought it looked fun
>>
>>52546680
It is now, you're good, whoever is the DM has to learn the rules pretty much completely. Players can get away with the Player Handbook only.
>>
>>52546680
Most fun you can have with your brain.

Pick up a player's guide at your local game store (probably anywhere that sells board games or comics)

Read the book, makes some characters, start playing. Just need you, your friends, and a place to play.
>>
>>52546680
>where can you start

By getting a DM, three to six players, and the main books. Though I'd recommend for everyone involved to be prepared for awkwardness since that'll be your first time.
>>
>>52546680
D&D is a fun game for everyone. Whoever DMs (Probably you if you're showing this much interest) will need to read the Player's handbook to learn the rules decently well. Everyone else will also benefit from this, but less so.
>>
>>52546680
You can try asking google or youtube the same question.
You can try watching some people play it, DnD podcasts are a thing; it's how you can get an idea or expectations on how it might turn out. It's how I got into it.
>>
>>52546725
and dices
>>
>>52546680
It's pretty fun.
https://youtu.be/DXu7W44rWbg
>>
>>52546596
> level 8
> still use call lightning when you can use polymorph
> still fighting outdoor
>>
New to 5e. What class would be a good way to do a character concept like a mystic warrior trained in secret, supernatural ways to attain feats of prowess beyond human capabilities? Not necessarily super-flashy magic stuff as much as mystical, impressive feats.

tl;dr how be jedi in 5e?
>>
>>52546144
I houseruled that you can only choose up to 6 humanoids and that the Beast Master's Coordinated Attack moves to 11th level (bumps the 7th and 11th level abilities down to 5th and 7th) to put it in line with the fighter getting 3 attacks at 11
>>
>>52546812
Simple answer would be a monk perhaps?
There's a mystic/psionic UA (playtest material) out, maybe that can work.
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf
>>
>>52546839
If your DM allowed it, of course.
>>
>>52546812
Soul Knife from the Mystic UA is pretty damn close, except it'd be like having two lightdaggers. You do get all kinds of neat mind powers to go with beating the shit out of things by punchslashing them.
>>
>>52546740
>telling newfags they don't need to read the books
This is how we get stupid, nat 20, break the world shit. Scum like you should be eradicated.
>>
>>52546843
>If your DM allowed it, of course.
liek if u cri erryday
>>
>>52546811
Polymorph is awesome and all that but with Call Lightning in the right situation, you become very hard to fight. Not like they can do much against a bird 100ft in the air, who they don't know is casting a spell while getting Lightning Bolts rained down.

The whole major use of Wild Shape I've seen as a Land Druid is to use spells like that while I hide.
>>
>>52546812
There's a few official mystic knight styles so far.

Eldritch Knight is typically your go to. A popular combo for them would be to enchant their blade with fire and attack with it. They can also self-buff themselves. Its a Fighter archetype, so you're a fighter first, fighter also second, and spellcaster third.

Bladesong Is the flip: 2/3 Wizard, 1/3 melee. That's more using melee to buff your magic.

Lastly, you've of course got the Paladin. You don't have to be a generic knight that heals, but you can be Solaire if you like that.
>>
>>52546856
Soul Knife and Immortal powers would be a go with this idea.
>>
>>52546640
>gunslinger
Are you in the right general?
>>
>>52546856
Don't see any real reason you couldn't refluff that. As it is, there's basically nothing that requires it to be two daggers instead of just a longer blade. Unless you're going for some sort of a two-weapon-fighting build, which I don't think is really supported by Mystic. No fighting style and your Bonus action is already going elsewhere.
>>
>>52546903
Its a Critical Role thing.
>>
Except I said that the DM should read and understand the rules, so that they can officiate when a player who doesn't fully understand the rules tries to break the world. Good luck trying to get a group of normies to read a 300 page rule manual before they can have fun together.
>>
>>52546929
meant for >>52546867
>>
>>52544985
this gets asked every thread
>>
>>52546929
My first game no one including the DM had really read the rules and we did a lot wrong.
It was a lot of fun though. I killed like ten goblins with entangle.
>>
>>52545715
>You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.
It works because it says next attack, not next attack ROLL. One of the few cases that crosses over.
>>
>>52546929
>read a 300 rule page manual

I mean I guess you could have them do that, but mostly you only have to read the sections important to what you're doing. The Table of Contents is more important than in normal books.
>>
I really hate remarkable athlete.
It incentivizes you to not have proficiency in several skills you might want normally to get the most out of it.
I would really prefer it if you just got the bonus whether or not you were proficient. Probably shouldn't let it stack with expertise though.
>>
>>52544570
bullfinches mythology is the best greek mythology book ever.
>>
Are 5e Warlocks just crap? Currently playing Warlock8/Bard1 and even if we get a rest in during an adventure day I still feel like I'm only effective at Hex+EB single target, which I could have gotten with just 2-3 in Warlock. Is the warlock class just useful for the first levels dip to get the Eldritch Blast kit?
>>
>>52547029
In my experience, the second you show the player's handbook to a new player, they immediately freak out because of the size, and even after telling them that they only need to read a few sections of it, I find that they are still super weary.

I think best practice is to not expect a new player to read or understand the rules, and instead, explain them as you play. Then, if they're interested in continuing to play, they'll probably go read some on their own.
>>
>>52547071
they're not crap, but they're just very boring.
>>
>>52547071
IIRC, WotC spouses something to the effect of 3-4 short rests per 1 long rest.
>>
>>52547071
They're different full casters. Like, weirdly different. From what I can gather what you're supposed to be doing is using those 'every slot is the same level and comes back after a mere short rest' to blow gigantic loads of magic at things but that's dependent on the whims of the DM letting you rest in execution. If you can't do that then you're going to have trouble.

The other problem is Tomelock is the best because of the stolen cantrips and rituals but by doing it you're being a freaky wizard.
>>
Toll the Dead seems insanely OP
>>
>>52547126
Unless your supposed to get an hour long nappy time between each encounter, what I usually get is 1 good spell per encounter, with Hex+EB using my bard slots and hoping I don't blow concentration. Maybe things change dramatically at 11+ when I get the third pact slot, but I have felt underwhelmed by warlock from 4-8.
>>
>>52545147
Jack Bachmann, half-elf GOOlock, Pact of the Blade.
Former P.I. turned Commisar-General of a small empire through negotiation, violence, and mind magic. Fairly nice fellow, but known for going from zero to a hundred at a somewhat unhealthy rate. Example:
> Honestly cares about his citizens, does his best to integrate gnoll population and get them to stop the demon worship.
> It mostly works, and he is fairly pleased. Decides to reward them with magical (just neat little trinkets) gifts.
> Finds out some of them refuse to give up the demon worship.
> Thus, our lovely communist dictatorship has it's first large-scale purge out of five.
>>
>>52547071
yes. warlock 2/bard X is a way better use of your levels. eldritch blast is fucking broken, and while i don't like hex at all, the damage is good enough to stave you away from trying to do anything else at all.

i tried making a EB-less warlock, just so i could convince myself to blow all my invocations on pact of blade+patron stuff but it really isn't worth it at all, much less without either rolling godlike stats to survive the MADness or without multiclassing stuff like paladin for the heavy/medium armor and real smites, not those shitty invocation smites.

charisma is still a godstat and warlocks can still function as pure, but they are not enjoyable for anyone that expected to be anything but a glorified magical archer.
>>
>>52547309
+1/+2/+3 Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, Extra Attack and Hex/Elemental Weapon let a Hexblade do a fair bit more damage then an EB Warlock at the cost of versatility. Don't bother with the Smite Weapons when you can be SAD on Charisma and use those Spellslots for an hour long damage boost.
>>
short bow counts as a simple weapon so my nomad mystic can use it right?
>>
What do you guys think of Hexbladelock 5/ Assassin X?

The ability to cast invisibility for guaranteed surprise plus Charisma to attack and damage rolls seems really good to me.
>>
>>52547390
I'd personally not go Hexblade for an Assassin multiclass. Feylock with the super bow would let you get a massive damage boost from the smites.
>>
I dislike the Atonement option of Ceremony

>>52547373
Yup, you can check the Weapon table to see which weapons are simple or martial
>>
>>52547408
super bow?
>>
>>52546471
Command takes the creatures turn. Puppet is right now. It doesn't provoke an OA either.
>>
>>52547487
feysmite is a bow
>>
>>52544977
Agree with you on this. I'm good friends with the group I play with and a ways back one of them mentioned "Anon, you're a great guy, but you powergame.". To which I thought about for like 3 seconds and agreed and explained why, haha.

I definitely want to make my character the best he can be but I'm all for having everyone else be strong too. As long as everyone's happy and having fun I'm glad.
>>
Friendly reminder that you can marry a dragon if it uses its Change Shape
>>
>>52546820
Did you move the hunter's and dark stalker's extra attack to 11 also?
>>
>>52545089
Honestly a barbarian with tavern brawler and probably grappler would work.
>>
>>52546680
I got the joke, anon
>>
CHAMPION REDUX WHEN?
>>
>>52547408
But Hexbladelock has smitesword. The only appreciable difference is the damage type, with resistance to Radiant being a bit less common than resistance to slashing.
>>
File: 1441515650860.jpg (1MB, 2099x1573px) Image search: [Google]
1441515650860.jpg
1MB, 2099x1573px
Anyone got the PDF for race building guidelines? The one with point values?
>>
What would be a good feat for a conjurer wizard?

My go to for spellcasters is usually war caster but at level 10 it becomes obsolete with the concentration buff they get.
>>
Megatrove is broke :(
>>
File: batman fumbled.png (305KB, 357x391px) Image search: [Google]
batman fumbled.png
305KB, 357x391px
>Eldritch Knight doesn't get Eldritch Blast

Man that's false advertising.
>>
>>52547621
You can't use Charisma with smite sword and it's a Greatsword so you can't sneak attack. Also Elemental Weapon is better for Hexblades then a smitesword.
>>
>>52547661
It also isn't an Eldritch Knight. More like a Duskblade.
>>
>>52547621
smitesword HAS to be a greatsword, so have fun being a str assassin.
>>
>>52547661
>eldritch knight should get the only thing that makes warlock worth playing!
No.
>>
>>52547645
take it for spell attack of opportunity
>>
>>52547356
Just for the record, The invocations do make your pact weapon a +1/2/3 weapon, which you cannot target with Elemental Weapon.
>>
>>52547687
I'd probably rather save my reaction for shield, counterspell, or something though.
>>
>>52547712
Alchemist if no one in the party has it
>>
What's the best 1st-level spell in 5e, and why is it Bless?
>>
>>52547731
Healer is really good if no one has it.
>>
>>52547743
That's a weird way to spell Grease, anon.
>>
>>52547693
Yeah, the Spell is worth it over the Invocations at higher levels though. I'd rather have +3 Attack and +3d4 Damage most of the time then +3 Attack and Damage all the time.

Until you get level 5 slots though the +1 Weapon and Hex is better.

I still think they should replace Elemental Weapon with Haste though.
>>
>>52547643
It's not a PDF but...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit
>>
>>52547756
You don't get +3 and +3d4 though. You don't have a 7th level slot. Plus, concentration. Plus better uses for a 7th level slot.

Agreed on Haste though.
>>
>>52544285
Could you use puppet to make an enemy walk off a ledge?
>>
>>52547743
I once had a wizard take shield as a signature spell at level 18. That was kinda ridiculous.
>>
>>52547792
I don't see why not
>>
>>52547792
sure why not
>>
>>52547782
Once you do have a 7th level slot it's brutal.

At level 9 when you get 5th level it's either 2d10+10+4d4 with Elemental Weapon or 2d10+11+2d6 with Hex. Elemental weapon +2 and +3 are pretty damn good, even better if you go PAM. Until level 9 though Elemental Weapon isn't worth it.

It's a lotta fucking around to make Bladelock worth it though
>>
>>52547804
This is one of the most optimal choices.
You mean you had wizards NOT do this?
>>
>>52547838
Only level 18 wizard I've played with.
>>
>>52547792
RAW yes, RAI surely not.
>>
>>52547871
Why not? It's effectively no different to any other spell that allows you to move someone off a cliff balance wise.

Also the amount of times I've been fighting on a ledge against an enemy worth casting it on while high enough to cause serious damage is slim.
>>
>>52545147

Neutral good, Tiefling Paladin of ancients.

Barnabus, Son of Slagathor, never realized he was descended from a demon lord until he first left the secluded woodland grove where he grew up with his druid mother.
Armed only with the ancient spiked armour and and wicked obsidian glaive left behind by his absentee father; he left his familiar home to spread the love of all things good and green which had been instilled in him from a young age.
However, the demonic ancestry so obvious to those around him leads to suspicion and fear more often then not. Now he questions his true place in the world and seeks to find his father and discover the truth of his creation.
>>
>>52547871
It is a Con save. Single target. Humanoid only. You could Thunderwave them.
>>
>>52547920
Well if you're the DM, you can always make a situation where an enemy caster could use it very profitably
>>
>>52547871
>RAI surely not
Considering that's the only really offensive use of the spell, as it does not use the target's reaction and thus cannot provoke opportunity attacks, RAI surely yes.
>>
>>52547951
True. A spell is only broken if you make it so no other spell caster thought of it.
>>
>>52546252
The class is balanced around never getting the bonus. Don't worry about it.
>>
I reached end of thread, so answering some last thread questions for a bit

>>52537685
No, it lets your attacks qualify for sneak attack. You can still only get the bonus damage once per turn.
>>
File: 1449536561134.jpg (37KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1449536561134.jpg
37KB, 300x360px
I've started fucking with my players. Randomly while they're RPing or something, I'll tell a player, "Your character has a sudden urge to belch," or sneeze, or fart or whatever. They think this means they're poisoned or under the effect of something. I don't tell them that nope, it's just your character going through regular body functions.
>>
>>52548059
sounds like a slippery slope to inviting your players to your magical realm.
>>
>>52547643
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit?usp=sharing

there's also this one which is based on >>52547765 this one, it gives scores to some of the volo's races as well and makes the scores not decimal for more intuitive scoring.
>>
>>52548179
>"Your nose is itchy."
>"Uhhh... what the fuck is this.. .fetish garbage you're forcing into the game, you fucking freak sicko???"
>>
>>52546924
Tell him no matter how hard he tries he'll never be as edgy as Talisen or Percy.
>>
>>52548190
Not that guy, but this is fucking dope, thanks.
>>
>>52548193
Or you're walking past a spice den and you could go back and beat up a few guys for some +6 desert gear.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 284x177px
What is a good animal to base my Artificer's mechanical companion on? He's a rock gnome, and I'm struggling to think of a creature that gnomes can associate with (besides the dumbass ostriches from WoW). Ideally he would also use the companion as a mount, so a good overland speed is also helpful.
>>
>>52548316
giant elk
>>
File: 20111118-pissworld[1].png (226KB, 750x1091px) Image search: [Google]
20111118-pissworld[1].png
226KB, 750x1091px
>>52548193
>>52548179
>>52548059
The classic.
>>
>>52548375
It's too big. Large or smaller.
>>52548316
There's not much choice, I'd go for an Allosaurus, has considerable perception.
>>
File: tumblr_ly08lhmdM41r2uzyoo1_1280.png (508KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ly08lhmdM41r2uzyoo1_1280.png
508KB, 853x1280px
>>52548269
used it check my super special snowflake custom homebrew race that no one is going to play ever, and got a 27~29 depending on how you see things, for which i'm happy about.

rate hate hate some more, mind flayers are cool fuck the haters http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bk5i0FTil
>>
>>52548401
>>52548445
If you highlight a sentence and press Ctrl+S it'll spoiler it for you automatically.
>>
Does anyone have some cool ideas for a Wood Elf Land Druid with the Underdark as his land choice?
>>
>>52548487
i know, i edited after putting the spoiler and fucked it up.
>>
>>52548492
Fell down a well as a child and were raised by some crazed goblins who took you into the Underdark.

You're pale as fuck but think you're a drow.
>>
>>52548492
>>52548585
>If you a drow why you so white?
>I'M ALBINO YOU FUCKING RACIST
>>
>>52548492
Wood elf missionary. They have all these wonderful things in the underdark and just need to give peace a chance.
>>
>>52548688
>>52548492
A member of a drow-wood-elf-plus-anything-else-like-kuo-toa rejoined peaceful society, that happened to work out. Incidentally, no one believes you, and the society is known as a Shangri-La-esque legend.
>>
Just theoretically here. Could a Druid cast Flame Blade, turn into a Giant Owl and then do flyby Flame Blade attacks every turn?
>>
>>52546228
Why not use the AL legal UA version?
>>
>>52548808
The 'free hand' in Flame Blade's description sounds pretty serious and not just fluff.
>>
File: Tiefling .jpg (69KB, 564x812px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling .jpg
69KB, 564x812px
I'm making a Variant Tiefling Nomad Mystic.
I'd like some creative ideas for her backstory.

At the moment I just imagine her teleporting all over while stabbing people.

pic related much appreciated.
>>
File: geeks n gamers.jpg (268KB, 700x716px) Image search: [Google]
geeks n gamers.jpg
268KB, 700x716px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html#zephyr%20strike

The Starter Spells UA is now in 5etools.
>>
>>52548852
She's wandering the world looking to cure the "cursed heritage" that has plagued her all her life. [Spoiler] Everyone just assumes she mean the demon half. [/Spoiler]
>>
>>52548913
wym by "everyone just assumes she mean the demon half" ?
>>
File: world-of-darkness (1).jpg (139KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
world-of-darkness (1).jpg
139KB, 1000x750px
How do I make the warlock class fun to play?
>>
>>52548866
Why have you got to hurt me like that megaanon?
I trusted you and you post that shit.
>>
>got here too late to download all the MEGA

Shit. Can anyone direct me to it?
>>
>>52549023
Check the OP. I'm using a URL shortener on someone's advice to see if it will lessen the chance of DMCAs. So far so good.
>>
>>52548970
Whenever their table says they have a certain amount of spell slots available to them, just add +1 to that.

Also let them choose one spell from their expanded spell lists per tier for free.
>>
>>52548931
Clear implication that she's trying to cure her humanhood.

>>52548970
Play it.

>>52548971
I was mad too but I'd rather have a complete resource than a biased one
>>
If I move 20 ft and then take dash, am I able to move another 20ft or another 40ft?
>>
File: Cap.png (152KB, 2880x934px) Image search: [Google]
Cap.png
152KB, 2880x934px
>>52549041
FUCK
>>
>>52549127

Copy paste the link and path under view more information. Worked for me, downloading everything I can now.
>>
>>52545147
NE Half-Orc champion with protection as lvl 1 fighting style. Bald head, missing one eye and a veteran of a war fought some time ago. Was a standard bearer in the army he fought for and carries around a piece of said standard. Believes in independence and fought for it.

>I know it's boring and made with the book but I like it
>>
File: battletothedeath.jpg (340KB, 1041x1514px) Image search: [Google]
battletothedeath.jpg
340KB, 1041x1514px
>>52548316
-Polar Bear if you like Multi-Attack, also a pet that can Swim as good as its land movement.

-Giant Octopus if you're in a Sea setting. Also, it restrains anything it attacks and gets an awesome Ink Cloud

-Allosaurus if you're a Douchebag faggot that wants a pet who moves 60ft in a turn, and can maybe pounce something into submission. (Hope you've got a lot of open space buddy)

- Rhinoceros if you're going to have something with the ability to "Gore". Also it does decent damage.

- Saber-Toothed Tiger if you want to be a Low-key Allosaurus faggot.

- Plesiosaurus if, once again, you're in a Sea setting. It also does more damage than the Octopus, with the disadvantage of not having abilities.
>>
>>52549127
I've tried it in multiple browsers and it redirects for me just fine.
>>
>>52549127
I'm downloading it right now.
>>
>>52545478
kek I love rolling stats.
I have 8 int on my current character and my previous one had 7 dex
>>
>>52549120
20ft. It doubles your total maximum movement in a turn, so your static 20ft movement speed becomes 40 for the turn.
>>
>>52549120
40ft. Your "speed" and your "movement" are two different things. Your speed is a set value and only changes when you have some sort of effect like a slow or a dash. Your movement at the beginning of each turn is set equal to your speed, and depletes as you move.
So when you have moved 20ft, your movement remaining is 10 but your speed is still 30. So taking dash will double your speed to 60, granting you an additional 30 movement.
>>
>>52548822
You mean the AL illegal. For now.

>>52547178
It's a cantrip. It's fine. That said, good, well designed and balanced spells are the exception to this UA, not the rule.

>>52549120
Dash gives you added movement that turn equal to your speed. You don't lose speed as you move, just allotted movement/turn.

>Seven fucking captchas
>>
>>52544985
No.
Run a normal monk and if you have the luck grab a belt of giant strenght.
>>
File: deepone-rough.png (9KB, 426x293px) Image search: [Google]
deepone-rough.png
9KB, 426x293px
Does this seem fine? I feel like it could use something to be more unique.
>>
>>52549240
I'm interested in those 'high pressure/deep sea' rules.
>>
What's some of the more powerful characters you could possibly make from the PHB + one supplement? I'm joining a new group who's focus is on dungeon crawling with variant rules to make things harder, while my previous group had focused more on RP and intrigue. All of UA counts as one supplement, but any full classes are banned and everything will need a final review from the DM to make sure it's not too munchkiney.
>>
>>52549254
I just ripped that feature from Tritons because it made sense. It's probably in the DMG, let me check.
>>
>>52549240
Da heck are those number? Are those race point or something? I thought that doesn't exist in 5e, so are those number are totally made up?
>>
>>52549254
It came up recently in my SKT campaign. Apparently it's a flat 7 damage without a saving throw every few minutes (read: whenever the DM feels like) unless you are adapted to the deep.
>>
>>52549308
Based on the guide here: >>52548190
>>
>>52549260
What variant rules? Also, your DM literally decided that Rangerless UA was a good baseline?
>>
>>52549321
So it's totally made up number by a guy in dandwiki.
>>
>>52549352
I mean, the number puts it roughly in line with PHB races, so I can't call it wrong.
>>
>>52549260
Nuclear Druid using Wizard instead of Arcana cleric.
>>
>>52545147
My name is Kabu. I am a half-orc whose clan was destroyed by a warband of rival orcs when I was young. I wandered alone and was found by human slavers, who sold me at auction to a crime family. Years of enforcing later a noble warrior saved me from a dog's death. He taught me how to use a sword and I traveled with him until he cast a spell that imprisoned an Oni inside me. We get along ok, after the initial fighting for my soul thing.

Now I wander the world killing monsters and demons, using the Oni's powers and my sword, still the street thug I've been for years, but more horoable. Also I have 7 intelligence so this should read:

I Kabu am Spirit Hunter, you need demon killed, I do for gold.
>>
>>52549334
>Roll for Ability Scores (4d6, drop the lowest) (PHB, p.12). This is actually the default rule. It adds a lot more variation to character power, but also adds a lot of fun and hilarity to the game (What does it mean when for a character to have 5 Charisma or Strength?).

>Variant: More Difficult Identification (DMG, p. 136). You need to cast identify to discover a magic item's properties.

>Variant: Encumbrance (PHB, p. 176). We’ll be tracking inventory more closely and using encumbrance. This means that everything that goes into your inventory needs to have a weight listed (found in the equipment table in the PHB). By default, just assume that anything small that you find in a dungeon -- a key, a trinket, etc. -- is 1 pound. Also, this rule pretty much guarantees that heavy-armor wearers will be encumbered until they’re high enough level to afford hirelings and pack animals to carry excess baggage.

>Variant: Training to Gain Levels (DMG, p. 131). You need to visit a town and spend time (and money) training in order to gain a level (when you have enough XP).

>Variant: Wands Don't Recharge (DMG, p. 141). This is how it worked in previous editions.

>Variant: Slow Natural Recovery (DMG, p. 267). In previous editions, you regained 1 hp from a long rest, and there was no such thing as a short rest. This variant comes close to simulating that rule by removing the full recovery you get from a long rest (instead, you can spend hit dice just as you can after a short rest).

>Use and Keep Track of Rations.

Most things are open to discussion, though he did say that Mystics were flat out banned.
>>
>>52549352
Nah, this was a real effort by some reddit person as an attempt at something more accurate than Muscisious. The real deal is that so much of racial "balance" isn't real, at least in the nice objective, quantitative, additive, everything counts way that these scores do it.

>>52549367
You mean a standard issue Nuclear Druid. They should stick to official sources regardless as that way the DM can't (rightfully) say no.

>>52549380
>Rolling for stats
Welp, this might have been fun to attempt.
>>
>>52549363
Not really... does that system has been peer review? has it explain to you where it get number from? Why common resistance should be 4 point instead of 5 or 6? Does damage type "rarity" thing this already taking the account for monster in Volo and other sources?

Also point based system is pretty stupid and can be broken easily anyway. Just look at M&M character.
>>
>>52549380
>By default, just assume that anything small that you find in a dungeon -- a key, a trinket, etc. -- is 1 pound

Nigger are you serious? A goddamn pound?

What the fuck kinda keys do you carry around?
>>
is the Trove not working for anybody else?
>>
>>52549450
MEGAanon got DMCcked by Roll20
>>
>>52549406
normally nuclear druid use 1 level in arcana cleric, so you won't be MAD for INT.

>>52549380
I would say Moon Druid is your best bet with all those rule. Random ability score doesn't really matter for them. Encumberance doesn't matter to them at all once they are in wild shape. Rations doesn't matter with Goodberry.
>>
>>52549448
Not him but this was what caught my eye too
>>
>>52549380
Oh and Slow Natural Recovery doesn't matter to Moon Druid too since you'll be using Wild Shape hp. Just take more short rest in between adventurer.
>>
>>52549380
There's specific strategic advice to garner from every other rule, but they're all invalidated by the absolute garbage that is stat rolling. The next important step is identifying just how garbage a DM you have and how much you actually want to succeed, have fun, and/or play in a shitty game. If rolls have to be observed by the DM, the optimal play is to repeated suicide until you reroll into something broken. If the DM isn't enforcing that shit, the optimal play is to leave

I was also the first response to this post, for clarity. Not *that* many people trying to give you shit advice
>>
Other than beyond damage dice any fun martial suplements homebrew or third party?
>>
>>52549260
>>52549380
Rogue who's focused entirely on being a dungeon expert and a Goliath fighter who carries all the things are what comes to my mind first.
>>
>>52544285
>bit do/5egtrove
Is the mega trove down?
>>
>>52544465
I think of Perception as reactive ("you walk into a room, roll perception... You spot a trap") and Investigation as active ("I look for a clue to what could have killed him").
>>
File: Selection_003.png (60KB, 893x494px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_003.png
60KB, 893x494px
I've been agonizing, probably too much, about making a believable town. I referred to that "Medieval Demographics Made Easy" website, which helped, and the donjon town generator which pulls from it.

My main issue now is employment. In this generated town, there are less than 200 businesses. Is that enough to support the population of 3200? I honestly have no idea. How many people does each business employ?

I've also been struggling with layout. I don't want the town I'm working on to be walled. But without walls, I have no idea how the buildings should be arranged.
>>
>>52547532
Hunters and Dark Stalkers top out at two attacks, Beast Master gets 3
>>
>>52544465
Investigation gives you details as to why something is

Perception gives you details on where it is

Peception lets you find out there may be a secret door behind this bookcase. Investigation lets you know that this specific book needs to be pulled
>>
>planning out adventuring days for the party
>got to balance encounters to burn resources and escalate tension, but not just burn the party
>kobold fight club
>moving by discrete increments...
>not registered difficulty
>not registered difficulty
>easy
>DEADLY

fruitin fack gosh diddly do
>>
What's the verdict on the newish Artificer from Unearthed Arcana? Is the thunder cannon as badass as it sounds on paper?
>>
>>52550053
It's okay.

Not really. It's a sneak attack that eat up your bonus action.
>>
File: debora.jpg (342KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
debora.jpg
342KB, 600x800px
> Courtesan Lore Bard
> Steal Primal Savagery and slash people with finger nail.
>>
File: 1390808638735.jpg (19KB, 349x385px) Image search: [Google]
1390808638735.jpg
19KB, 349x385px
Damn it, I come in while trove is down and I have a need for Tomb of Horrors
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!a0x0yDxT!vrjaWifa6I5_gwN0UfxhFA

Here's a temporary link. I guess I'll keep throwing up new shares until the associated account vanishes into the ether from DMCAs.
>>
>>52547792
You can also use it to walk them into an inverted magic circle, which I'm hoping I get a chance to do.

>magic circle before combat
>puppet multiple undead into it turn by turn
>hunger of hadar
>>
>>52548970
Ever wonder why so many play bladelocks despite the lack of optimisation?
>>
>>52550110
>he still hasn't deleted the Roll20 shit
>>
>>52545147
Marrowsnap, grandson of the great Goblin king Jobsnobbler, was raised in a fairly large goblin tribe surrounded by enemies. After the untimely assassination of the king, the goblins split into their own tribes, eventually forgetting their king in favor of their new self-appointed chieftains. After learning about his grandfather from a history book he snatched in a raid, Marrow confronted the chieftains. In fear that he would rise to claim his rightful throne, the chieftains banished him from goblin society and placed a rather large bounty on his head for good measure.
Pursued by his previous allies, Marrow lived off the wilderness for seven long years. During that time he became a decent shot and all around wild man, killing any goblins that wandered into his territory in fear of his life.
After a chance encounter with the party, he was captured and was to be taken to a local keep for execution. However after saving the other PC's from a Griffin attack with his trusty bow, Marrow was inducted into their company.
He vowed to return to his tribe, kill chief Shlock, reclaim his rightful place as Goblin King, and lead them to become the feared and respected race like they once had been many years ago.
>>
File: michiru_mega23.jpg (4KB, 126x113px) Image search: [Google]
michiru_mega23.jpg
4KB, 126x113px
>>52550110

You're a good dude, you know that?
>>
>>52550151
There anon. I moved them out of that folder just for you.
>>
>>52550110
You're the hero we need but don't deserve.
>>
I'm the Roll20 guy who's been reporting the MEGA link. I've already reported this one >>52550110 so even if you remove the Roll20 stuff, it will probably still go down. But if you re-up it without ANYTHING Roll20 related I won't report it again. You have been warned.
>>
>>52550201
You're a bad person, I hope you know that.
>>
>>52550201
You really care that much? Anytime someone needs roll20 shit they can just ask for a link you know?
>>
>>52550201
Fuck you.
>>
>>52550212
>>52550220
>>52550225
Nothing personal. Just part of my job.
>>
>>52550237
A roll20 worker, Jew or just a douche?

If you're an actual worker then I can understand with no hard feelings.
>>
>>52550201
>>52550237
>Roll20 guy posting at 2 in the morning
>and claiming to do his job at 2 in the morning
Oh, I'm sure.
>>
Is this the only Roll20 stuff from the trove? I dragged a copy of the trove into my own storage so I wouldn't have to worry about it any more.

But since Gimpy McFuckFace is being a pain reporting the trove I'm inclined to upload it to a torrent site somewhere where they don't care about DMCAs. I don't use Roll20, just the main books and character sheets, so I don't know what to include.
>>
>>52550244
Umm I work for Roll20. I never reported the Mega before the dude started adding in Roll20 assets for some reason.

>>52550254
lol I don't go into the Roll20 offices and punch a clock and wear a tie. My job is general online shit, like moderating the site, enforcing rules and banning users, and reporting stolen assets.
>>
Can someone explain the Goodberry Life Cleric meta to me? I'm looking at the two of them and it just doesn't seem as efficient as everyone claims it to be
>>
how do i get the most out of a tavern brawler barbarian
>>
>>52550270
Why don't you make the new thread for us.
>>
>>52550338
you're a retard then
>>
>>52550342
Dip into rogue to get expertise in Athletics.
Go bear barbarian.
Max con and Str.
As your DM if you can get a magic item or a quest for a magic item that will make your fists count as magical.
>>
>>52550397
how many levels in rogue?
>>
>>52550151
What kind of Roll20 stuff are we talkibg about?
>>
>>52550405
Just one is enough.
Two if you want cunning action.
3 if you want the Swashbuckler feature to be able to hit and dash which counts a lot on an unarmed fighter.

Basically you are a not!Monk with decent unarmed damage, unarmoured AC, movement and a resource free ability to disable an opponent via grapples.

+ extra proficiencies via rogue, tankier due to barbarian Hp and bear barbarian granting damage resists during rages.
>>
>>52550338
One casting of good berry heal the total of 40 hp.

That's equal to one casting of 6th level Cure Wound.
>>
>>52550420
Why don't you read the thread dipshit
>>
How do I maximize riposte (for style)?
Rogue / Battlemaster?
>>
>>52550662
New thread.
>>
>>52550338
Goodberry
1st-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a sprig of mistletoe)
Duration: Instantaneous
Up to ten berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day.

The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.

Ten HP of healing on its own, with the cute ribbon of not having to eat anything else for the day.

Combined with

Life Domain: Disciple of Life
Also starting at 1st level, your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's level.

1 from the Goodberry itself plus three from your cleric feature. 4 hp healed per berry.

You can create up to ten berries per casting.

What are you confused about?
>>
>>52550664
Page 9.
>>
>>52550666
Is this RAI satan?
The berry heals, not the spell so I would argue you only heal 1
>>
>>52550788
>spell creates item that heals
>the spell doesn't count as healing
do you smell burnt toast
>>
>>52550119
There's so much you have wrong with this, you're in for a disappointment.
>>
>>52544588
>Can't have every peasant casting firebolts
This is exactly what gunpowder did.
>>
>>52548682
>Amaunator's sake, Karen, you can't just ask someone why they are white!
Thread posts: 402
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.