[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 36

File: 1471817068760.jpg (162KB, 811x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1471817068760.jpg
162KB, 811x1210px
Heavy metal album cover: Hard as Iron edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>Now in Homebrew megafolder

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

>Old Thread
>>52445974

Post an example of shit in your games that should not have rightly happened, moments where you just got away with all the shit.
>>
>>52532386
Perma-GM. Once had a player tank shock a grand cruiser from the inside with a Shadowsword. It was a weird game.
>>
What's the best 40k tabletop for relative newbies? I want to introduce my friends to roleplaying.
>>
>>52532913
Dark Heresy 2e, period, did you not read OP?
>>
>>52532913
I'd say Only War. The 40krpg rules are about as complicated in each line, but OW chargen is split between regiment and character. Regiment has more of the complicated stuff and can be set by the GM if needed.
>>
>>52532913
>>52532980

Concur. Only War is generally a lot more straightforward than DH: Go place, Kill stuff. And like the one guy said, the more complex stuff is generally handled by the GM. Even then, it's generally easier to build a simple and fun plot for the GM within the slightly more rail-roady confines of a military settling compared to the complete open endedness of DH.
>>
>>52532931
>>52532980
>>52533025

Thank
>>
>>52533025
>>52532980
I'd be more concerned about introducing new players to a game where the first, usually best way, to solve a problem is with violence.
It breeds the same murderhobo mentality D&D brings where force is automatically assumed to be the first and last word in all conflicts, and I've had to break enough players from that mindset, including myself, to be exceedingly wary of it.
>>
>>52533127
The guy asked what was easiest, not what might be best. While I agree with you for the most part, it is exactly that DnD muderhoboness that makes OW much easier to pick up for a lot of people. If your players have absolutely zero experience with TTRPGs in general, then it really falls to the GM to mold them with their initial experiences into what sort of players they will be. That being said, it's still easier to make and run and play an OW game IMO compared to a DH game.
>>
>>52532386

someone really should update the copypasta in the megafolder. it's really out of date.
>>
File: 1490800712203.jpg (82KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1490800712203.jpg
82KB, 400x400px
>>52525604

I believe they're called a GoWrite. Roll up dry erase boards are easy to make if you have a print shop with a big laminator near by. Just pick out what you want printed on it first cause it will add marginal additional cost to making it. (Like hexes or square grids.) And it should be cheaper for than buying one outright at an office supply store.
>>
>>52533127
Well if you don't put some consequences for being a murder blender in a situation that a diplomat or a hero would have been a better option, that falls to the GM for not thinking that far ahead.

Coulda talked the guy put of his hidey-hole, coulda interrogated him with a ration bar and a cup of recaff since the fuckers been in that pillbox for 2 days now and you just mulched the trench a half hour ago. Too bad. You tossed a grenade in there and set off an ammo dump for a nice flamer and the guys heirloom plasma pistol. And nevermind that all too important Intel thats now a burning tapestry resembling your wanton destruction.
>>
Trying to build a Deathwatch character and I'm little confused on the exp spending and character advancement. For the initial 13,000 exp, is that only to be spent on the generic Space Marine advances, and then any exp after that is spent on your specialty? Or can you spend it on the generic advances, generic deathwatch advances, specialty, and chapter advance from the start?
>>
>>52536097
These 13K are not for you to spend; they are already included in the starting character as means to compare him to DH or RT chars. For the advances, you should earn more.
>>
>>52533127
Such a mentality also fits with DH given how low subtly groups can act.
>>
>>52536097
You get basic training and geneseed implants worth 12000 XP. You have 1000 XP to spend on your Chapter table, your Speciality Characteristics table, and the Rank 1 Speciality/ General Marine/ Deathwatch tables, plus the assorted psychic power tables if you're a Librarian. (Chapter, Codex, Divination, Telepathy, etc)
Carefully check the tables before buying anything. A lot of stuff in General Marine comes stock, like Dodge, and was only included because FFG was thinking about including Chapters with different starting packages later but never did. Some other stuff will appear on multiple tables at different costs, like early access via Chapter sometimes being more or less expensive than the General Marine cost.

The most important thing to do with your 1000 starting XP, though, is to select a Deed out of Rites of Battle. You can only take one, and only at character creation, but they're fluffy pieces that grant two to three times as much stuff as you'd normally get for their cost.
>>
i managed to get my character pregnant while playing Dark heresy, does anyone got any advice for playing a pregnant character ?
>>
Does the average imperial citizen know about the existence of the Inquisition?
>>
File: 1410736780364.jpg (194KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1410736780364.jpg
194KB, 1200x1600px
>>52537508
Yes, otherwise what good would flashing the rosette as a seal of authority be?
>>
>>52537353

does no one here have experience with playing characters like that ?
>>
>>52537353
>>52537787
Someone probably does, but you might need to check the thread for another game to find one. PC pregnancy doesn't seem like it would come up as often in 40k as it does in fantasy or generic post-apocalyptic settings.

Then just translate what sort of penalties and changes they say for their game over to DH.
>>
>>52537916
you are probably right, pregnancy isnt a recurring theme in Dark heresy....
>>
Been playing an only war campaign for over a year with my buds, my Priest I'd been playing from the beginning met his end.

>holding defensive position in a ruined factory on a hill overlooking the east side of a city
>ended up being the only thing between an army of cultists, traitors, and mutants and our command HQ due to a daring surprise attack
>We held the line while they repositioned and worked out getting us support
>First wave we wiped out before they reached us, just a huge rabble of cultists with little more than pistols and miscellaneous weapons
>then came the traitor guard that was bad
>then came the mutants, that was worse
>but we were all veterans and we had the support of a small company
>In the end it was just our squad and two heavy bolters we had what was left of the men on
>that was when our radioman got word for us, we had valkyrie fire suppourt on the way, we just had to smoke/flare/mark the enemies position
>we prepared ourselves for the next attack, but we couldn't have prepared for this
>Sarge sees a SHITLOAD of cultists, and much worse, a full squad of traitor marines, all covered head to toe in blood wielding chain axes
>heavy bolters light into the cultists as they charge the hill
>our squad desperately fires into the oncoming horror
>two out of the ten of them actually goes down from the six of us shooting, the rest are nearly upon us just outside the ruined front of the factory, won't take them long to get in
>I grab the Sarges flares, and tell him and the rest of the boys to run as fast as they can, and not to look back
>he says hell no, if we do this we do it together
>but thats not the Emperor's plan for our squad, and a shepard must always protect his flock
>sucker punch him and land a crit, knock him out, rest of the squad carries him off sprints out the back
>I turn to the blast doors

continued...
>>
I had the idea of doing a game in pre unification earth, right around the time the emperor began building up to take over. The idea was to initially disguise it as a post apocalyptic campaign, but two questions I wanted to ask were what system would work best for this and how could I go about keeping the post-apoc guise going until it's time to reveal where they are? Could something like this even work with people who know warhammer lore well?

Sno if you read this don't you dare spoil it
>>
>>52539405

wonder when will the going back reach so far back people will play Delta Green with Chaos Daemons instead of Lovecraftian squiglly things.
>>
What does grox taste like?
>>
File: Urgall_Depression_Aftermath.png (2MB, 1366x699px) Image search: [Google]
Urgall_Depression_Aftermath.png
2MB, 1366x699px
/tg/, my kill team are failures. They have failed three missions in a row due to their own ineptitudes. So far, a city-sized prometheum tank has exploded due to thinking explosives was a good idea, an imperial governor has died because "killing enemies before they can kill the governor is a good idea, so we'll leave the governor alone while we kill everything outside", and a relic power blade was lost to the TAU of all races, when one member tossed it at the battlesuit and said, "lol we'll get it later, the tau don't even use melee anyway," as the Tau collected their fallen comrade and flew away. I have on my hands the Adeptus Retardus, and they shall know no common sense.

Instead of just killing them, since they do realize that there were better options in hindsight, I'm having them go on a quest to understand the duty, valor, and history of the Astartes. After reading one of the republican commando storytimes, I'm sending them to Isstvan V, site of the dropsite massacre, to reflect and repent. I have a good idea of how to describe the surroundings thanks to storytimes, but what are some places and things I can have them see or do on Isstvan V that can really hammer home what they are, their history as astartes and imperial servants, and how important it is to not fuck up in lolrandumb ways?
>>
>>52543899
Get them some best quality cranial implants.
>>
File: Arbitrator_b&w.jpg (58KB, 714x1176px) Image search: [Google]
Arbitrator_b&w.jpg
58KB, 714x1176px
Good old First Edition Dark Heresy. I had an Arbiter that rolled mutation on his divination. I rolled on mutation and got a result that eventually landed me rolling on the Deamon Host Table. I got the creepy but seemingly human result. He freaked out the whole party except our slightly retarded tech priest. The GM thought the whole situation was hilarious so he told me to keep quiet about it. When I soaked a point blank shot from a melta gun there were questions. The character naturally denied anything was wrong with him. If anything was wrong it was their lack of faith in the Emperor and their loose interpretation of his sacred laws.
>>
File: priesticon.jpg (4KB, 80x83px) Image search: [Google]
priesticon.jpg
4KB, 80x83px
HELP!

I have major writers block and I DM a game in an hour. I need ideas to help spure my creativity.

So my players are playing BC and reached the frontlines of a renegade force. The renegade force is currently digging trenches around the nearby city and preparing to defend the city. So the PCs meet the commander and are told that the imperials are staging to do a massive offensive to strike before they have time to fully set up their defenses. The commander wants the PCs to go out into the battlefield and locate a lost promethean shipment. They need it for the coming fight.

So the players set out in a desert environment, past the frontlines in a planet-wide war, to find a lost convoy of promeathen cargo.

What the fuck kind of events do they run into along the way?
>>
>>52544880
Sand

Sandworms

Sand

Sandstorm

Sand

Heat-induced hallucinations

Sand
>>
>>52543899

>Isstvan V

Does it even exist anymore?
>>
>>52545073

The last official fluff of it came from 2nd edition, where an ultramarine successor reconquered it, and then it was left barren and blockaded.
>>
>>52544880
landmines
deserters
a wild demon hungry for souls that will disguise as their ally
orphans trying to survive (one of them is a latent psyker)

that's all I came up with
>>
So, I'm thinking about running a Heresy era Marine game where the characters start as loyalists at Istvaan V, get airlifted out with the Raven Guard, and fight through some of the major battles of the period.

However, 1st ed Deathwatch is kind of a mess. Has anyone made a 2nd ed DH / OW hack of Deathwatch?
>>
>>52544880
Locals. Like Bedouins or something.

Oasis.

Oasis daemon.

Mirages.
>>
>>52543899
>After reading one of the republican commando storytimes, I'm sending them to Isstvan V, site of the dropsite massacre, to reflect and repent.
Oh wow, I'm honoured
Normally I'd question spending years for a pilgrimage (in fact I did in Commando), but three failed missions and a relic blade lost to the slitfaces seems worth some deep contemplation, and if you need combat without weird psychoactive dreamscape shenanigans their pilgrim ship could always have a gellar field flicker along the way and let in hullghasts or something, or they could get boarded by some very unfortunate pirates of whatever species. Eldar Corsairs are good eating (and Dark Eldar make the most hilarious snap crackle pop noises when they go down), but regular humies' reactions when they realize they've boarded a ship with Astartes on it could be priceless.
>>52544880
Radiation, raiders, minefields, acid rain, a Warp-tainted statue/fountain in the middle of the desert, heatstroke, a sandstorm that seems to hunger for flesh, an Imperial supply convoy, Imperials trying to recover the prometheum cache...
If Imperials have gotten to the cache first, they've got their work cut out for them, but on the plus side, free recovery tank! Probably an Atlas or a Trojan, and quite possibly slower than whatever means they have of hauling it back, but mercifully easy to track even in the desert.
>>
>>52545711
Yup. A few of us have even made Legion rulesets.
>>
As someone who's never DMed before, are the modules included in the rulebooks good starting points? If not, what do you suggest doing?
>>
>>52547630
Which line are you thinking of running?
>>
>>52547723
I was going to do Dark Heresy, but after reading that Elric storytime I want to do Black Crusade.
>>
>>52547738
>Black Crusade as your first 40k rpg
Do you have someone you can talk to who has experience with running any 40k rpgs?
>>
I'm running a xenos oriented DH2 campaign and my players are expecting me to rehash Ork/Eldar/Tau/Nid/Necron lore. Do you guys have any good minor or homebrew xenos plothooks and lore?
>>
>>52549049
>>>/trash/
>>
>>52547738
Elric? Gimme source
>>
>>52549092
Is there something wrong with that? The major players will still be there, my players just know the setting very well and think they can't be surprised.
>>
>>52539292

Sounds hilarious and awesome, do continue.

Actually id like to hear anyone's funny campaign stories.
>>
>>52549139
Here
>>52538350
>>
>>52537353
how did they get preggers
>>
>>52532386
>Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

Why? Because it is "new"?
>>
>>52549722
Because it is better in every way but the sector it takes place in.
>>
>>52549779
I like having cash money to start with. I means you can get some basic gear straight off the bat without it being a big thing that your auto-success gear acquisition wasn't pushing the limit of what you can acquire.
>>
File: IMG_9348.jpg (270KB, 885x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9348.jpg
270KB, 885x768px
>>52532386
hey guys, im a gm new to the 40k universe, i know a bit about the law but nothing about the table top game. one of my players want to know if he can use a heavy thunder hammer in our death watch game, i think its a really cool idea but i said only if the player was a terminator and weilded it two handed because a normal thunder hammer is two handed for your average space marine. i found a picture of the table top rules and i was wondering how i would convert them into the RPG? also was i fair to make it two handed like that?
>>
>>52542209
like sweet tender beef
>>
Rogue Trader

Is there a good excuse for a Tech-Priest or Navigator to decline fealty to the Lord-Captain and still be considered a high officer?
>>
>>52550584
Add 3 or 4 to the damage and pen of a regular power hammer?
>>
>>52550723
what about any special rules? it has an instant kill rule, the lore says its supposed to one shot a carnifex, an extra 4 damage doesn't really seem enough
>>
>>52550646
tech priest no, the rouge trader owns his own ship, its not on rent like the imperium ships, so the tech priest has a vested interest in serving his rouge trader. that said he would also have to serve his higher up magos if they were on board and he could be reclaimed, but while the rouge trader is the highest in comand on the ship, then the tech priest serves the lord captain or what ever your title may be. the navigator can fuck of when ever he or she want, you are renting the navigators, you have to pander to him or her, you litterally cant fly with out them and the definetly know that, its why the emperor sits on the golden throne, he hated the power they had and the dangers warp travel could cause, so keep buttering up your navigator.
>>
>>52550904
So what if an Engiseer Prime (the main Tech Priest) denies fealty or fulfilling an order by the Lord-Captain?
>>
>>52550994
engine seer is way lower than a magos, put him into line, he has no right to do that, consider the act of sabotage and have trusted guards on standby to replace his brain with a plasma volley. the tech priest sounds like he doesn't know his place, as a rouge trader you could hire a magos if you wanted, maybe not an arch magos, but a magos for sure, you could find archeotech that will have you in the pockets of the mechanicum for life, the enginseer will see to the engine and make sure its running, he doesn't have the authority to recreate technology or even invent technology, his only function is to put more coal on the fire, very low on the ranks and very easily replaced.
>>
>>52551197
Ok, thanks for the info.
>>
>>52549830
Cash money makes no fluffy sense though, like the fact you can just save up for a fucking power weapon is bizarre, then there's the whole hopping planets all the time thing.

>without it being a big thing that your auto-success gear acquisition wasn't pushing the limit
What? I don't understand what you're trying to even say here.
>>
>>52552126
DH1e you can buy a microbead for 20 thrones. The value of 20 thrones is always 20 thrones.

DH2e "An Acolyte can make a number of selections up to his starting Influence bonus value from Chapter V: Armoury, each of which can have an Availability of Scarce (–10) or better."

Microbeads are Average (or Common for Administratum). You could have taken something Scarce. You didn't push the limit of your purchasing power, which means you've wasted that selection's potential.
>>
>>52537353
No real grandiose issues until about 5 months in.
At that point, you ought to relegated to light work, because the odds of miscarriage rise dramatically.
>>
>>52552188
So yeah, then take something Scarce. Acquisitions in 2e usually come down to
>Scarce armour
>Scarce weapon
>then a weapon mod or piece of gear that's close to Scarce as possible if you have Influence 30+
You either then get given gear by the GM for your first mission (microbead etc) or you go procure that yourself for your first mission. Why would you ever need to start with a tertiary piece of gear like a microbead, and especially take that over a weapon?
>>
>>52549049
Throw Slaught or Demiurge at them.
Remember there are many, many unknown/lesser xenos out there, and some of them are far worse than the big 5 in terms oh god what do we do.
You know what? Throw Hrud at them. Fuck'em.
>>
>>52550845
With 5+ DoS on the attack roll, the weapon adds 3x the users strength bonus to damage.
>>
>>52552188
>You could have taken something Scarce
That doesn't mean it's something your pc would need or want, anon.
Stop taking the powergamer's look at it. The only scarce acquisition that I think is damn near necessary is photovisors for a combat character.
>>
>>52537353
Avoid combat.
>>
>>52549243

Because if you're not going to use the cornerstones of the setting, why bother using the setting? maybe you want eclipse phase more?
>>
File: Xenos6.jpg (135KB, 587x345px) Image search: [Google]
Xenos6.jpg
135KB, 587x345px
>>52549049
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_sentient_species
Go nuts.

If you do use the major xenos present them in a new light rather than the 'generic' way GW does. GW doesn't present it as much now (or have forgotten it) but 40k is more of a mythical fantasy setting than it is a sci-fi setting. So don't be afraid of using mythological or fairy tale themes and archetypes for your aliens. Particularly with the varietes of the Eldar as their mythological influences are still plainly obvious.

Like, in a Rogue Trader campaign I'm planning in a homebrew region. The local Eldar Corsair Princes are presented as the Fair Folk. Otherworldly nobility that steal people to their fay realms in Wild Hunts that ride across the sky on steeds that howl like the damned (jetbikes) and whose ships ride on storms in the void cloaked by otherworldly mists.

Presentation is important, particularly to veterans who think they know everything about the setting.
>>
>>52552304
>you need to do X or you are playing the game WRONG
Naw, get fucked, mate.
>>
>>52552221
>Why would you ever need to start with a tertiary piece of gear like a microbead, and especially take that over a weapon?
The point was precisely that the newer system encourages you to choose the weapon *over* it.
>>
>>52548074
I'm afraid not. Is BC too complicated do you think?
>>
>>52552538
I doubt anyone thinks it's *more* complicated, but it is easier to strip away the veneer of game balance, and there's the ever present possibility of the game turning into chaotic murderhobo / PvP.
>>
>>52552505
Sorry, I don't see the problem with that. Like I said your GM can give you stuff if they see it as a problem or you just try to acquire it at the start of your first mission.
>>
>>52552575
What do people usually do to alleviate that? Could I have, say, a daemon curse them so that if one PC kills another they'll all die?
>>
>>52552795
The different compacts can help alleviate the worst of it, but the base setting of BC is very dog eat dog, and don't be surprised when the most ambitious, ruthless player rises to the top at the expense of the others.
>>
>>52552986
Not related, but I always liked the character concept of an admech double agent embedded in the party who ultimately betrays them at the moment of their triumph. He accepts that this assignment means his life is forfeit and the best he can hope for afterwards is conversion into a battle-servitor.
>>
>>52553094
It is unlikely there would be enough left of him to make a servitor.
Even less likely he would remain loyal to the end.
>>
Do any of the DW books describe the layout and environs of a normal Watch Fortress?
>>
>>52549049
The Lex article someone else posted is a favorite of mine for this, but I've been working on a homebrew one to fuck with my Deathwatch players. I know some of them hang out here, so I'll just say that my favorite minor race on that page of canon ones is by far the Thyrrus.
>>52552304
Fuck off, minor xenos appear in 40K fluff entries all the goddamned time. It helps add to the scope and majesty of the setting that the Imperium isn't dealing with the same shit all the time, but it's embattled by literally everyone else in this fantasy kitchen sink of a tragic space opera.
>>52550584
>a normal thunder hammer is two handed for your average space marine
It actually isn't. They can be one-handed, both on tabletop and in Deathwatch.
A heavy THammer is, however, two-handed. Someone around here made stats for Codex: Deathwatch stuff and I promised to rustle them up for the locals; I have an hour before I have to go to work, so I'll do that before I go.
>>52550845
Slap on an effect that when the weapon scores Righteous Fury, the target must take an immediate Toughness test or die. There is precedent in the Deathwatch Champion advanced speciality.
>>52552126
>being able to save up money makes no fucking sense, you should have a fixed amount of items capped at a certain rarity
You're an idiot.
>>52553168
Erioch is the only Watch-Fortress with much fluff description, going by Lexicanum, but it's not the Imperium's only Ramilles-Class Star Fort. Beyond that I'm unsure, but I do wish you luck.
>>
>>52553140
That's disappointing.
>>
>>52553234
>Slap on an effect that when the weapon scores Righteous Fury, the target must take an immediate Toughness test or die. There is precedent in the Deathwatch Champion advanced speciality.
By Black Crusade, this is formalised into the Decay weapon quality.
>>
What does the inside of a starship's Navigator chamber actually look like? I am trying to make up some nice writeups for what my player's workstations on the starship actually look like but a quick scan through the Navis Primer as well as google have not turned up anything
>>
>>52555381
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGJVq2kT0S8

This BFG:A cutscene includes one, but I wouldn't really say they're that homogenous in design. Particularly considering how mutated Navigators can get.

I personally like making them similar to the tanks Dune Navigators are kept in.
>>
File: Codex DW.png (96KB, 1904x600px) Image search: [Google]
Codex DW.png
96KB, 1904x600px
>>52447064
>>52550584
>>
>>52555381
One of my favorites is "A massive, opulently empty chamber with a huge brass tank of some kind in the center that cannot be seen into, tended to by blind servants and some trusted servants speak for the Navigator, who is never actually seen."

But that's for NPC navigators, not PC ones.
>>
>>52555513
>>52555591
Thank you anons this is exactly what i was looking for
>>
Are Tech-Priests and other auxiliary careers under authority of the regiment officers?
>>
>>52555992
In the field, yes.
In terms of logistics and command, they are beholden to their parent organization.
>>
>>52553234
>You're an idiot.
Care to clarify?
>>
>>52552238
What kinds are there? What are they like?
>>
>>52559843

Demiurg are rock golem dwarves in space.
Hrud are Skaven in space.
Slaught are a mix of worm-that-walks and the flood from halo
>>
File: 1399252960435.jpg (47KB, 499x468px) Image search: [Google]
1399252960435.jpg
47KB, 499x468px
>>52559728
Preferring abstract representations of acquisition over an actual currency system is a matter of opinion, but thinking that being able to save up money is bizarre and unfluffy is pretty goddamn stupid.
>>
Why don't rogue traders normally go for the navigator's tower during boarding actions? If you kill all the navigators, you prevent them travelling safely in the warp and you can loot the warp charts which are said to be worth quite a lot.
>>
>>52559891
Ah see you're breaking my statement down into individual components and ignoring a crucial part of it. Saving up in and of itself isn't bad, it's saving up to buy something like a power weapon or equally insanely rare item.
>>
>>52559895
I feel like there's likely a sort of gentlemen's agreement that Navigators should get special treatment in those cases. Those that would kill Navigators like common crewmen might see their own dealings with Navigator houses go sour very quickly. Ransoming them back to their houses should be a-okay and more profitable to boot.
>>
>>52559843
Demiurg are basically a throwback to Squats, the old space dwarven race cut from the setting way back.
Hrud are... bad news. They are a hive based race that emit an entropic, time dilating field around themselves.
Slaught are arguably worse. A powerful, high tech race made up of acidic worms that are natural blanks.
>>52559965
This.
It's just as silly as any argument you can make about influence without the ability to say "Influence automatically accounts for who you know, personal status, the leverage and debts you have on others in order to grease the wheels and acquire rare equipment".
>>
>>52549049
Just invent your own. I've invented 5 for my Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Only War kitchen-sink campaign. Along with an entirely new subsector.
>>
At what point do you do secret rolls?

I'm wondering specifically about when a PC wants to tell if an NPC is lying etc.
>>
>>52532386
>Latheworlds is still shitty scan quality
Was there never a proper PDF release of Lathe Worlds?
>>
>>52559871
>Hrud are Skaven in space.
Not any more, that was altered.
>>
File: skaven4.jpg (91KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
skaven4.jpg
91KB, 600x452px
>>52561617
Sure, in fucking Xenology, and the Inquisitor who wrote it down was considered loony even by his peers. Given the choice of Space Skaven or Bendies, I know which fascinates me more, but I incorporate both by figuring the =][= in question zealously labeled the bendies 'Hrud' and enough other folks assumed he knew what he was talking about and/or were just too scared to question him that it caught on.
>>
>>52544142
Shocked no one call bullshit or asked to know what happened to this guy.
>>
>>52562775
Eh, the bendies are more interesting than just "lel Skaven in spaec" and they still share similar themes of being that which dwells in the underground infesting the sewers etc.
>>
File: 1361173844236.jpg (38KB, 327x382px) Image search: [Google]
1361173844236.jpg
38KB, 327x382px
>>52544142
>First Edition
>Good
>>
>>52562864
You had to kick it a couple times to make it work but it did work.
>>
>>52562864
>either edition
>strictly better
>>
>>52563034
I'll take the system that actually gives me variety and options over a linear progression, thanks.
>>
File: 1479566494500.png (147KB, 291x517px) Image search: [Google]
1479566494500.png
147KB, 291x517px
>>52532386
>tfw can't find any use for flintlocks other than trying to look good/stylish
>>
>>52563205
You can parry melee attacks slightly better since they count as a truncheon and not improvised.

But yeah, besides looking pretty, you shouldn't ever actually use one.
>>
Would anyone here be interested in playing the New Traveller system, but set in 40k?
>>
File: Logo_eitc_emblem.jpg (42KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Logo_eitc_emblem.jpg
42KB, 256x256px
So anyone want to play/run Rogue Trader? A friend recently got my hopes up for a game of it, but it collapsed while it was still in the discussion phase. Maybe Four or so players and a GM? I can get a discord up for it if people are actually interested.
To potential Gms, I do plan to be an Ork
>>
File: 1473176227405.jpg (60KB, 454x604px) Image search: [Google]
1473176227405.jpg
60KB, 454x604px
>>52563115
>implying a baseline linear progression means no variety or options
>>
>>52544142
Our GM once INSISTED every PC take 2d5 mutations, as we were all under-hiver gang members from a very corrupt and polluted world. He was actually planning on us progressing from Dark Heresy to Black Crusade, we found out later. But we could PICK our mutations. I rolled a 6. I specifically asked him which books we could pick from and he said 'any'. I asked a second time and he repeated himself. So I picked up the From Beyond mutation (making me outright immune to insanity points, though with an unconventional outlook on the universe), the Wyrdling mutation four times, increasing my PSY rating by 4 and giving me a variety of powers, And the Witch Lord mutation from Disciples of the Dark Gods page 56, Table 2-5 'Shrouded Mutations'.

So my starting psyker had a PSY rating of 11, and complete mastery of all Divination powers, plus a few extras like Bio-Lighting and incinerate.

And he was completely loyal to the Imperium. He looked into the future, saw how every possible pathway through time unfolded, and decided that only the ones in which he devotes himself completely to the Emperor are acceptable to him. He alone turned the rest of the party towards positive ends. The rest of the group loved the idea and fell in. They all created starting characters that could hide or had destroyed the outward signs of heir mutations. When the inquisitors arrived, they found a peaceful cult of devout Emperor-worshipping citizens, led by a zen-like psyker who waited for them already bound and restrained, with a letter explaining exactly what would happen, including a play-by-play of his future sanctioning.and a three-week schedule for Chaos and Eldar raid near their system.

He was a Polypsykana Inquisitor's *dream*. An unspeakably powerful Psyker, possibly the strongest human Psyker to live since the Emperor Himself created the Primarchs, immune to madness and the depredations of the warp, and unfailingly loyal to the Emperor with no prompting.
>>
>>52563629
It means less variety and options for sure though.
>>
>>52563631
Demon Arbiter guy here. High fives all around. My guy wound up 'dead' and started turning up in other peoples games as the legal equivalent of the Legion of The Damned.
>>
>>52532386
I want to run a game in the Macharian Crusades and after. Anything I should be aware of in terms of particulars from the time period?
>>
File: 3d Guardsmen.jpg (166KB, 1321x910px) Image search: [Google]
3d Guardsmen.jpg
166KB, 1321x910px
>>52539292
cool
>>
>>52563919

Remember, it was politics and an Imperial Assassin that killed Macharius, not other things. A Macharian Crusade game would be fraught with politics.
>>
>>52544142
There is no Daemonhost on the mutation table
>>
>>52564516
Got a wire crossed. From Beyond is what I got. The fact that it was compared to the Deamon Host by the GM is what befuddled my mind.
>>
>>52563868
Nice. Super-Psyker eventually was offered a Rosette and the rank of Inquisitor, which he declined, as being unworthy. But he did wind up being 'adopted' into a Navis Nobilite clan that a certain radical inquisitor had been using to hide and bene-gesserit promising psykers. The entire Mutant Crew wound up forming the core of a new eugenics program within that Navis family, producing power, stable psykers and navigators who can stare into the warp and ignore Insanity Points entirely (as well as carry on the rather impressive mutations from the rest of the partyThey took the Mergeant and Dark Conduit mutations from the Disciple book. Phasing-warp-weapon-semi-daemons-who-are-immune-to-all-psyker-powers. They and many of their children wound up as elite assassins for the Navis clan.). One member of the crew died, and was replaced by a 'Rogue Trader' that was actually the cover-identity for a junior Inquisitor. We cut a swath through Daemonic incursions and traitor plots. The campaign ended when we were investigating a Genestealer Cult on a remote Imperial world, only to find that half the citizens weren't just genestealer hybrids, but genestealer-hybrid Lacrymoles. They sabotaged our only way off planet just as a splinter fleet arrived. With no options, we commanded the crew in orbit to Exterminatus the planet, starting at our position. We couldn't risk our genetics being absorbed and exploited by the Hive mind. Super-Psyker died in a wash of atomic fire, along with his closest friends, and the entire population of the planet.

>>52564890
From Beyond is literally the best possible mutation you can get on the core tables. BLANKET IMMUNITY TO INSANITY.
>>
>>52565281
That result is called Hellspawn.
>>
File: 1486934996238.jpg (59KB, 564x686px) Image search: [Google]
1486934996238.jpg
59KB, 564x686px
Could I trouble you fa/tg/uys for a bit of lore clarification and opionions?

Long story short, I talked a big game and I may find myself at the helm of a DH2nd game that could segway into a Deathwatch game. I have the basic groundwork planned out and it heavily involves the Temple Tendancy and the Word Bearers so here's a few questions.

1. Is the Lictitio Divintatus still in use after the Age of Apostay? Hitting the Lexicanum I know it was the genesis of the Cult of Saviour Emperor but is the book still in use even after the Thorian Reforms?

2. Would it be terribly out of keeping if Word Bearers managed to corrupt a surviving Fraternis group and try to recruit them?

3. On the whole, do you think it would make sense for Temple Tendency to be as anti-chaos as the current Thorian form of the Eccliasarchy?
>>
>>52565965
1. I think either the Divinatus is still in effect, or many many "sequels" to it. Like Preachings of Sebasthian Thor, and whatnot.

2. A bit so, but still plausible

3. Absolutely. Their whole thing is that they aren't xeno or chaos-worshipers, just the bad kind of zealots, even by imperial standard
>>
What is the techpriest equivalent of kissing? Is it hand-holding?
>>
>>52568901
Using the holy screwdriver to screw in the screws deeper?
>>
>>52568901
Minor energy exchanges in order to stimulate remaining nerve endings and possible endorphin generation.
>>
>>52570044

but flesh is icky pooey, why would you want such things
>>
>>52561483
No, and there never will.
A lot of this shit is gone for good, anon, so appreciate what is there.
>>
>>52564371
I was planning on having my players involved in some of the politics before and during the Macharian Heresy. So that works well.

Anything different regarding foes or gear seen by the Guard compared to "modern," 40k?
>>
>>52561423
Don't bother with making it secret.
What I do is before the game, I make a number of rolls based on 50/50, yes/no. I write them down in order on a page, and when someone makes a opposing roll, I use the answers from the page, modified by the rolls if they are exceptional or if there is a interacting talent.
>>52563508
Not really, anon, most of us are just fine with the system as is rather than playing a hack.
>>
>>52563629
I'll take the toned down psyker potential, revised combat rules that brings down the power of full auto, the overall higher competence of pcs, a skill list that is not evocative of 3e D&D.
I do feel that the splatbooks could have kept going, there were a number of things that I think could have been brought to the table, but FFG was dumb enough to get bought and lose one of their better lines outright.
>>
>>52572280
Not especially, as it wasn't so long ago as to be ill-remembered.
Macharius swore by tanks and the navy, however, so you are looking at a lot of pinpoint combined arms/forces maneuvers executed by a genius.
I forgot if Macharius had any SM attaches to his force, tho.
>>
>>52573221
The Macharius Crusade had a ton of Space Marines. We don't know a number but we know that at least 5 chapters sent forces.
>>
Someone mentioned Macharius was killed by Imperial assassins, what is the source on this claim?
>>
>>52573318
The BL books, which in typical BL fashion turned the entire existing fluff on its head. Imperial Assassins was the least of the retcons really.
>>
>>52573348
was there any logical reason to do so other than 2edgy grimshit? I am really skeptical of BL in general
>>
Are there any good non-HH books that focus on chaos? I think it might be good to read one to get inspiration for a Black Crusade game.
>>
>>52573400
It's been a while, but IIRC, after the books retconned the Macharius Crusade from a quick seven year affair ended by his soldier's unwillingness to go on out of the light of the astronomicon; into campaigns that were beginning to drag on for decades and centuries, with supply lines running thin; the High Lords realized that Macharius was reaching the end of rejuvenats to keep him alive and was going senile. So on his final victory they had him killed, so he'd die a martyr's death in victory rather than allow him to go on and have senility ruin his perfect record.
>>
>>52562775
I wish that space skaven were more of an official thing instead of just being minor-maybe-lore.
>>
>>52537508
Just like the average citizen knows about the CIA, KGB, or MI6...
>>
>>52573625
Some books imply or state that Inquisitors, at least for many worlds, are as much legends as space marines or necrons; things that don't actually exist until one is standing in front of you.
>>
>>52573449
Ah i did not realize the scope of the crusade had been changed. That kinda sucks, i liked how mysterious his disapearance was
>>
>>52573400
It was actually pretty cleverly done. Internal politics running rife with fears that a slowly maddening-with-illness-in- the-form-of-failing-rejuvenate Macharius was trying to cut out his own little Imperium Secundus basically coming to a head. They wanted Macharius to die a hero and not a traitor, so he was martyred after a final victory over astounding odds. The only major confliction is the fact that it puts an uglier shade on the name of the Macharian Heresy, as the framing device of the books was documents from one of his personal guard being analyzed in the debate on whether or not he should be canonized.

They're also better-written than a lot of Black Library. You can tell the author wanted to be the next Stephen Pressfield.

If you want there's no reason you can't have the older lore combined into it as the sort of "legend," that's told of him several years later.
>>
>>52573673
Like I said, BL turned everything on its head to the point that it's obvious that they did not know (or more likely) did not care he's supposed to be an Alexander expy.

Also, before 5e said that his death was mysterious, there was a WD entry that said he died on the way home to a disease he picked up on a jungle death world while campaigning.
>>
>>52573714
>did not know or care
I doubt it. They hit his major personality traits, and the failing rejuvenates serves for the mystery disease. Hell, the presence of a disease analogue and an assassination both plays to how historically speaking there's still debate on whether or not he was poisoned or died a naturally shitty death.

They knew and cared, they just clearly preferred him as a reference to Alexander instead of literally copy-pasting the story into space.
>>
>>52573756
This.
You can make allusions to a thing, but copying something wholesale was a hallmark of early GW, for good or ill, and it doesn't fly the same way it used to.
>>
>>52573675
I thought it was pretty well written too, I just hate when BL does this shit to established characters which has been consistent for the last decade or so at this point.

I think it's why I love late-90s to mid-2000s Black Library so much more - it far more consistently featured new characters and new events; adding to the lore instead of changing it. Existing major characters I find also take away from the story in that, for example, I read Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds last month and there was little tension in major battles: "Oh, I wonder who will win, Huron Blackheart the Codex Character or Brand-New neverbefore mentioned Wolf Lord OC."

>>52573756
That's the thing though, when his campaign takes centuries, as Imperial campaigns are wont to do, instead of a (relative) short period of time; when his campaigns end because of politics and supply lines instead of his soldiers forcing him home; when he dies to assassination and politics on the battlefield, instead of on the way home as a broken man; then he's not even a reference anymore. He has little to nothing in common with Alexander besides "Great General" and a lot of people fit under that category.
>>
>>52573834
I can't speak to BL's habits that much; I don't read a lot of them. But I feel his personality and habits matching what we know and his love of combined arms (more so than a lot of written characters) with a focus on armor (cavalry) does fine when paired with his massive winning streak and the circumstances of his death. Old boy took centuries because of how much ass he kicked. Considering how the Guard were always the most "realistic," faction of 40k, the whole "thousands of worlds in 7 years," always struck me as a cheap copy-paste that went against the feel of the effective-but-more-realistic Guard. Centuries of straight-up asskicking served me better, personally.
>>
>>52573937
>the whole "thousands of worlds in 7 years," always struck me as a cheap copy-paste that went against the feel of the effective-but-more-realistic Guard.
I could get behind that, but I'd still argue that there could have been more middle ground between a seven-year unrealistic copy-paste and a duration similar to other large scale conquests by the Imperium.

Different strokes for different folks I guess
>>
>>52574068
I agree that a middle ground would have served better. Maybe 2 to 4 decades would have served better. But yeah, Different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
File: 1490909478634.jpg (5MB, 4500x1924px) Image search: [Google]
1490909478634.jpg
5MB, 4500x1924px
Are Roks warp-capable?

There seem to be conflicting reports on this matter.
>>
>>52574251
Probably depends on the Rok or, more precisely, how rich the warboss is and the quality of his Mekboyz.
>>
>>52574251
They can be.
>>
>>52574251
I always assumed they were. I figured an ork with the pull to get a rokk in the first place could scrounge up a mekboy that could fashion a warp drive.
>>
>>52571672
As preparation for the true intimacy of data exchange!
>>
Do people not like the Tyrant Star? My friend seems to be under the impression that it's seen as wrongbadlore or something.
>>
Is there any list of what every-day objects are called in the Imperium?

IE, lho-sticks, recaf, pict-screen, etc.
>>
>>52568543

I imagine there are no end to various holy books specific to various planets so probably bits and pieces of the Divinatus exist in various forms.

The thing I was looking for is finding a way to have a Word Bearer corrupt a group of Templars or at least have a good portion of the group corrupted. I think it would be good to have the players fighting side by side with a sworn enemy as his comrades reveal themselves to be fully enlightened by Chaos
>>
>>52575980
The Tyrant Star is scarcely a thing, it is a plot device for the GM to use.
Of course shitbag players don't like it.
>>52576033
I wish.
>>
>>52576033

We at least know some of the common names, for instance pict stuff is fairly common so pict-corders and pictographers would be a thing I guess.

Portable vox for cell phones? Now that I think about it on worlds advanced enough to have them having super future cell phones would be a fairly common thing.
>>
>>52576332
>super future cell phones would be a fairly common thing.
Considering how tightly the imperium controls and suppresses information? They're probably labelled Heretek. Tau might have them.
>>
>>52576383

Why wouldn't they have something like this? The things they suppress have more to do with shit that affects the empire on the whole, like knowledge of Chaos. Besides the Arbites or the authority figures of the planet will no doubt have an ear on all forms of communication like China except x1000.

That said, I'd really like to seperate the meme explaination of the Imperium from what makes sense.
>>
>>52576469
... There are planets where learning to READ is forbidden. Do I need to start quoting? There are Inquisitors who say that keeping civilians ignorant of the *POSSIBILITY OF SPACE TRAVEL* is the best thing for them. Priests and confessors extoll the virtues of shut up and never ask questions. I just don't think any of them would be eager to see diverse civilians freely exchange information. The Imperium is a top-down structure. The priests and lords tell the common folk what they need to do and think and believe, and the common folk do their jobs and keep their mouths shut.
>>
>>52576591

Yes I'm aware of this, there are also worlds with fairly progressive governments as long as they keep up the tithes and hunt down their psykers.

The way the 40k universe is viewed is subject to various interpretations across thousands of years. While the Imperium generally does try to keep the masses ignorant they lean on the various planetary governers to handle it in a way that keeps things the way they want to keep it.
>>
So, Brawler in OW starts with a Power Maul.

What Power weapon would you regard as the best to use, overall? Should I just stick with the maul, or try and get my hands on something else?

Also, Power vs Chain, which would you consider better? And on that end, do I stick with a chain sword or switch it up? The Chain Flail looks hilarious, and I might actually be able to tank a hit from it myself if I screw up.
>>
File: Xavier_mendoza.jpg (212KB, 502x861px) Image search: [Google]
Xavier_mendoza.jpg
212KB, 502x861px
>>52575980
I can't even remotely guess what would be badfluff about the Tyrant Star. I like it okay, really it's something that's there for the GM to base his big Sector Annihilating threat around, but I think the broad strokes of it (astral phenomenon, people go crazy when it's near, potential to kill everyone, nobody knows what it is) is a really great jumping off point for an investigation. Plus the Tyrantine Cabal are fun.
>>52576332
>>52576383

I seem to recall references to "personal Vox links" in the homes of some characters, so I think it's safe to assume that the (easy to bug) home phone and public telephone are common features in civilized worlds. A fancy dataslate probably has some Smart Phone-like qualities, such as the ability to transmit short messages within a network back and forth. In general though, an all-in-one device probably isn't common outside of official agents of the government. I could see something similar to a cell phone or long-range walkie-talkie being standard gear on an agri world where a small population has to cover a very large amount of ground.

I only really think of things as "Heretek" when they either break some important rule of the techpriests (no shoving a plasma gun and a lasgun together!), the technology threatens the tech priest's monopoly (haywire weapons are strictly controlled) or the technologies' implication is something that led to Old Night (thinking machines).
>>52537508
Yes, but generally as a combination of boogeyman/hero. Details are scarce, and the knowledge that Inquisitors are frequently at each other's throats is pretty well hidden. People grow up knowing that if you're really wicked, an Inquisitor might come get you, and a lot of Inquisitors dress the part. Arbites and government officials probably know them much better, but still don't have the details.
>>
>>52532386
>Post an example of shit in your games that should not have rightly happened, moments where you just got away with all the shit.
We just ripped a small-ish hole in the Webway. Sure, not enough to ruin anything permanently, but the Nexus of Shadows will have a Funâ„¢ time as the Circus rolls into town.

Meanwhile, we run for it and Tzeentch is pleased.
>>
>>52576845
Sword/Glaive/Maul, in that order.
>Also, Power vs Chain, which would you consider better?
Depends on foe. Being able to obviate armor is always good, but really, any pen past 5 is overdoing it in most games unless your opponents are space marines.
Chain weapons allow you to crit fish, which can be useful, but they are a magnitude weaker than power weapons. However, like I said, the pen from power weapons only counts for so much, and against most infantry, is completely overkill. A good chain weapon will indeed serve valiantly over the life of a character with ease.
>after all, why do you think Commissar Cain prefers them?
>>
>>52577218
Ok.

Well, how about Chain weapons? The Axe seems like the best choice at a glance, as I'm not going for dual wielding, and the +2 Pen seems really useful. I'm also building Dodge, rather than Parry, so the -10 doesn't bother me so much.
>>
>>52577338
Axe is solid, I've seen a sororitas do terrible things to A LOT of people with a chainaxe in my game.
My only beef is that since it doesn't have a single hand option, and is unwieldy by default, you can't lightning attack with it. Chafes my bollocks, it does.
Stick an exterminator on it for good measure.
>>
>>52537508
They know just enough about the Inquisition to know two things.

1. Inquisitors have absolute power.
2. Inquisitors are to be feared, but the things they fight are even worse.
>>
File: 1473272122622.gif (2MB, 1722x1720px) Image search: [Google]
1473272122622.gif
2MB, 1722x1720px
>>52576033 #
Data slate = Tablet
Vox recording = MP3
Corpse Powder = biscuit and eggs flavored C Ration (you gonna pass a brick son but it counts as a meal)
SoyBar = K Ration (da good stuff!)
Pict viewer = monitor / TV
Cogitator = Computer
Zip Gun = well, a Zip gun, a firearm made of junk.
>>
>>52577400
You are correct in that you can't LA with it, but in OW, it's a one handed melee weapon, with two hands giving it +2 Pen.
>>
>>52577091

I like to imagine the Imperium is less autistic then we like to display it as. So, as per your example, where agri workers would have vox beads or something of the like to help communicate amongst each other in the field you'd imagine how it's availability and use would be different across different types of worlds.

A civilized agri-world would have people with these things but on a feudal agri-world where different villages tend to the mega farms only the mayor might have or be allowed to have access to these sorts of things while the atypical dirt farmer peasent doesn't know and only knows when and how he has to do things because the work leader carries around a staff with a magic voice box on it that carries the mayor's voice.
>>
>>52577993
I'm the same. I prefer to show the Imperium as more competent than people on /tg/ and gamestores meme it to be.
>>
>>52555513
BFG:A's cutscenes are fucking excellent
>>
>>52577993
>>52578119
You couldn't run a rpg if the Imperium was the way it is presented in the rulebooks.
There was a long running argument in the TT general about this very thing, how the rulebooks present the Imperium as this awful thing, everywhere, 24/7, compared to how every other media that shows the Imperium offers a larger view than the wartorn shitpiles.
>>
>>52578295

Exactly, for the most part all the terrible descriptions we get have to do when everything has gone wrong and war is or has happened as that is naturally the primary focus of what little story is needed to sell a war game.

As far as a setting goes not everything is that level of fucked up but then it's ironically explained away by the haphazard story telling that allows everything from mad max to waterfalls full of wine to exist as well as aliens and demons.
>>
File: 0B5g16alesVhZa1h2X2tfYUMzUnc-1.png (160KB, 378x269px) Image search: [Google]
0B5g16alesVhZa1h2X2tfYUMzUnc-1.png
160KB, 378x269px
So I've been thinking about brewing up some custom chapter trappings/relics for Deathwatch since a new player decided he wanted to play as an Minotaur Apothecary.

I'm thinking of having a Kopis style combat blade and an spoils of war type trophy of a excommunicated space marine chapter as trappings.

Then having a Mark of the High Lords and space marine size spartan shield as relics. Maybe an Tartaros Terminator suit as an rank 4/5 relic.

Do you guys have suggestions or critiques? I'm not the biggest Minotaur fan so I don't know too much about them besides the Lexicanum page.
>>
>>52578295
The rulebook don't say that though. The current TT rulebook flat out states that there are "bright spots" in the Imperium. I'll come back with a cap in like an hour when I get out the bathtub.

But it's the MRB that says planets are of basically infinite variety and the Imperium doesn't care so long as the Emperor is worshipped and the tithes met. And even Emperor worship takes a myriad of forms.
And even BL has featured worlds, a hive world in one case no less, that wasn't a total shit hole by virtue of a competent, kind, and efficient governor. Of course it got eaten by Nids but that's a separate issue.
>>
>>52578757
People on 40k threads will often share the wargame rulebook cap where it says that the Imperium is "the worst, most oppressive regime to have ever existed in human history," or some shit in one of the opening blurbs. That's where a lot of the meme comes from.
>>
>>52578820
Largely as a counter to the anons that try to preach that the Imperium is the most tolerant and progressive place in the universe.
>>
>>52578849
Well it's certainly more progressive and tolerant than today's society in what are currently SJW hot topics like race, gender and sexually; for the most part.
But would certainly be a mistake to call it more progressive period because instead of lynching niggers, you're lynching twists and heretics. Thought crime is real and of course, all aliens must die.
>>
>>52578685
Do the minos have an advance table, or are you having to brew one up for them?
I'd look over the fluff on them in FW's books before settling on available relics and trappings, but relic armour is highly unusual, though Tartaros Armour is re-entering use in Codex chapters. Relic shields are always cool anyway.
>>
Has anyone here ever used available mapping software for their 40k games? Which would you recommend?
>>
>>52578820
>>52578849
>>52579058
When people say there's nice places in the Imperium, it should have asterisk addendum.

There are nice places to live in the Imperium*
*For devout, non-mutant humans who toe the party line.
>>
>>52579058
>Well it's certainly more progressive and tolerant than today's society in what are currently SJW hot topics like race, gender and sexually; for the most part.
That's really, *really* debatable. While you can argue that Imperial culture is intolerant of the entire LGBT-word salad nonsense because of the thematics of it's state religion because of the religion its based on in the real world and the fact that a lot of what happens at Pride parades looks like Slaaneshite-degeneracy at a glance.

There's no real hard evidence for that or its counterpoint afaik.
>>
>>52579305
>like Slaaneshite-degeneracy at a glance.
At a glance, but Eisenhorn himself said that sometimes, even for a trained inquisitor, it's hard to tell where "esoteric" sexual interests end and heresy begins.
>>
Do you allow PCs to use skills like Command or Charm on other PCs?
>>
>>52579447
>>52579305
Though I'm sure there are plenty of planets in the Imperium that will happily lynch you for being trans or gay too.
>>
File: chaos in the imperium.jpg (482KB, 939x974px) Image search: [Google]
chaos in the imperium.jpg
482KB, 939x974px
GMing a Black Crusade game now. About one session away from finishing our opening adventure, Broken Chains. For those who don't know, it's a beginner adventure that starts the PCs as prisoners aboard an Inquisition prison barge. You awake from stasis after 200 years, find out the ship has been adrift in the warp the whole time, the prisoners are all feral savages, and the Inquisition agents have also just woken up from stasis and they're trying to steer the fucking ship to the local Inquisition Fortress HQ to cleanse the ship. You have to capture the ship before this happens.

PCs are:
1) Khorne Berzerker that obviously rapes everything in melee, but then becomes immobilized after one kill because he slips around in the pools of blood he makes. He has to use a grapnel gun to drag himself out along the floor when's flat on his ass because his character is a klutz with a terrible Agility score.

2) Pirate Prince fish woman whose way too trusting of daemonhosts, spits a spray of electrical warp matter due to a mutation, and bought literally 100 Hallucinogenic Grenades in character creation. Really bizarre.

3) Heretek whose really fucking snobby about this one book he wrote. He quotes passages from the book whenever he makes an attack, but usually shit like the footnotes, so it's weird.

They just gave the daemonhost a new body and are planning their raid on the bridge of the ship to take it from the Inquisition. They've got the daemonhost, the savages, and the ship's murder servitors at their backs; they're gonna do fine.

After this, I want to take them through the adventures False Prophets and then Rivals for Glory. That should land them with a ship, a prophetic book, the potential to conquer a planet, and a serious enemy warband. I'm looking forward to this campaign.
>>
>>52579462
More than the number that will lynch you for not being trans or gay, but they probably exist, too.
>>
>>52579508

Such is the vastness of the Imperium and cultures there in you could have warlords with harems full of shemales because it would be illegal with death as punishment to sleep with another woman because he's married to a noble's daughter and she could have a harem of women who get her off because the two actually hate each other and only stand/sit together for offiicial functions.

Only cuckservatives get bent out of shape about this sort thing really.
>>
>>52579447
>>52579462
Yeah, like I said, at a glance (though it's hard to tell if modern Pride parades are not some form of Slaanesh cult activity considering how they've degenerated, but that's for another topic). And either intepretation of "the Imperium gives no fucks where you put your dick or vag" or "the Imperium gives a lot of fucks where you put your dick or vag" is valid. Depends on what kind of horrific intolerance from the Imperium you want in your games.

I personally like going with a typically Catholic "Sex is sinful and shameful" and the accompanying hipocrisy.
>>
>>52579508
I wouldn't say the majority, since I can think of a handful of fluff depictions of gays getting along open and fine in the fluff (like the Cain series) and none where the faggot got lynched for being a faggot.

But honestly, like the folks up there said, different strokes for different folks, especially in a setting as open for interpretation as 40k. It's pretty baffling that people get heated over such a trivial detail in a fictional sandbox setting.
>>
>>52579456

Yes, otherwise certain talents and traits don't function
>>
>>52579586
>Yes, otherwise certain talents and traits don't function
Doesn't this remove player agency?
>>
>>52579608

Not if you're adults about things.
>>
>>52580195
Therein lies the issue for most groups.
>>
>>52578295
It's a tabletop wargame, of course the books focus on warzones where everything is awful.
>>
>>52532386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqpYcFkeCE

FOR THE EMPEROR!
>>
In Only War what do you call your squad/company/etc?

Right now my players are in Charlie Squad, Alpha Platoon, but charlie and alpha just seem so... plain.
>>
>>52580664
Come up with nicknames for that shit.

It's what the military does.

Bonus points for it matching the first letter of your designation, IE, Charlie can be Commandos, Cobras, Cleaners, Capable, etc, etc
>>
>>52580664
Depends on the regiment and origin. A squad for the Death Korps might be called a string of numbers while a Catachan Squad might have a name like Barking Toad squad.
>>
>>52532386
Was wondering if anyone knew where the Ciaphas Cain books took place, as in which segmentum? I think it might be Ultima but I feel like I remember one of the books saying tempestus.

I'm going to model a couple of campaigns off of them so I'd like to get as close to the book as possible, but ultimately it isn't a huge deal.

Thanks.
>>
Will there ever be a fanmade BC splat that makes Undivided viable?
>>
>>52581028
Check Lexicanum. I'm sure they have something about the Siege of Perlia at the very least.
>>
>>52581182
Please stop telling people to read Lexicanum. It never has any relevant information beyond a one-sentence description. It is absolute trash.
>>
>>52581263

Lexicanum is a nice site with very little info, but the articles are usually hand-written.

The Warhammer40k wiki has all the fucking info you ever want because the people there just copy/paste huge segments directly from the books and use so many direct image lifts I have no idea how the fuck GW lets them get away with it.
>>
File: Sslyth.jpg (256KB, 900x1286px) Image search: [Google]
Sslyth.jpg
256KB, 900x1286px
Are there any rules for playing as pic related in anything? Probably Rogue Trader?
>>
>>52581263
It's concise and canonical. That makes it ideal for answering questions like "which segmentum did x event occur in?"
The wikia, on the other hand, is a pile of popup-infested garbage where any data needs to be triple checked, if you can even scroll down to the actual information without the pointless flashy gimmicks freezing the page.
>>
>>52581028
Gravalax and Valhalla are both in the Ultima Segmentum. Adumbria, Simia Orichalcae, Desolatia IV, and Slawkenberg aren't specified.

I've only read the collection with the first three books and the three short stories in it, so that's what I got.
>>
How many grenades is a reasonable amount for a character to carry at a time, ready to use? When does it start getting silly?
>>
>>52582021
No more than 5 unless they're dedicated Grenade Guy.
>>
>>52582021
My unit in Only War was a squad of redneck country-boys in a Rapid recon unit, so we all had Tauros Assault Vehicles with grenade launchers. So.... I might be a bit biased, but my answer to 'how many do you need' is 'all'.
>>
>>52544880
Tauros Scouts, Harried by a Valkyrie's searchlights at night, and must hide from pre-assault anti-mine artillery barrages.
>>
>>52580664
Alpha Platoon, Charlie Squad
AC
The Aurora Creepers

Or something IDK
>>
>>52581386
There's a homebrew where somebody statted all those other races to play. You need to search for Rogue Trader Homebrew on Google, brah.
>>
Now that the PDFs are no longer for sale (I think, but can't be arsed to check) is there anything that we *know* didn't make into our archive?
>>
File: SquatPsyker.png (40KB, 550x599px) Image search: [Google]
SquatPsyker.png
40KB, 550x599px
>>52532386
Is there any way to make the void frost discipline in rogue trader useable compared to the other discipline?
Because its rally cool (heh) fluff wise, the mechanic’s just suck
>>
>>52582021
Personally, I try to limit my players to 3 o 4, unless they really are a dedicated grenadier. I've had too many issues where players just horde grenades and never use them until each party member is literally carrying around a sack full of assorted grenades and they decide to do some dumb shit like build a catapult to fire them out of or build some sort of Worms-style cluster bomb or throw whole sacks at boss enemies to try and instakill them.
>>
>>52582021
One of my players started out with 100 Hallucinogenic Grenades. It was rules legal (and funny) so I allowed it. If you're being serious, though, try to keep it under 10, I'd say.
>>
Are there any fan stats for the demons of malal?
>>
>>52585551
The only info I know of is in Black Crusade's Tome of Blood, when they posted the stats for a daemon weapon, the Dreadaxe, which is one of the only Malal weapons known. Basically, it cuts through all armor and is treated as a holy weapon even though it's a daemon weapon, specifically so it can ignore the additional Toughness Bonus granted by the Daemonic Trait. This makes it useful for cutting down both daemons and chaos marines. It can only be used by Unaligned characters, and it also causes Fear, which is super useful in Black Crusade (idk about the other games, I've only played BC)
>>
>>52582021
>How many grenades is a reasonable amount for a character to carry at a time, ready to use?
I personally believe in 3-6, 2 if you are in a nonconfrontational environment and are a woman (grenades hidden under your skirt? you better believe it).
>When does it start getting silly?
Anything after 8, because you can't realistically use that many for their intended purpose. Even 6 is pushing it, I currently have 2 frag, 2 krak and 2 smoke grenades, and have used none of them despite being on a desperate battle through the bulk of a heretic noble's force.
That is about to change, tho.
>>
>>52585637
>it cuts through all armor and is treated as a holy weapon even though it's a daemon weapon, specifically so it can ignore the additional Toughness Bonus granted by the Daemonic Trait.
Ye gods, my totally not heretical heirophant would love that.
>>
>>52584651
Most of the Hive Solace Adventures are not located in the archive and there are several poor quality scans such as Faith and Coin.
>>
>>52581063
>Undivided
bump
>>
>>52582021
>>52582021
I'm asking an old roommate; he was an Afghanistan/Iraq veteran. I'll get back to you when he responds.
>>
>>52568901

LEWD.
>>
File: 1482499634672.jpg (171KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1482499634672.jpg
171KB, 1024x768px
Had my character recently die in DH2 so I'm making a new character for the semi-radical group.

I chose to be a local (hive) mutant and rolled WINGS on the table, now I'm sitting here with 3000 XP wondering what to do.

My rolled stats are pretty good, with Int being the only one below 30, and Weapon Skill, Strength, Agility, Perception and Toughness being my highest at 35+.

Considering getting Assassin Strike (Half Move after Charge) and Hard Target (-20 Ballistics to hit me after a Charge of Run) to zoom around and use my flight to my advantage since I can't hide the fucking wings anyway.

Any ideas, any advice? I've yet to pick a Role.
>>
>>52588964
If the group faces things with Fear, then Crusader is a strong option.
If not, a CC warrior/assassin can get you pretty far with the stats you have.
I would, however, deign to not get assassin's strike, it's not as useful as it sounds because you need to test agility for it to come off. Good positioning would keep you alive long
Hard Target is nice on paper, but think about the situations where it comes in handy. I am convinced it was more set for pistoleros and desperadoes than closing the gap to melee, as if you make the charge in and are still shot at, you are still eating +30 from point blank, +10 standard shot, which negates both the penalty to shooting into cc and hard target.
A dedicated scout/BE guy/problem solver is a good use of skills.
>>
Where is the No Surrender PDF?
>>
>>52588964
What is the rest of the party?
>>
>>52532386
Any good stories involving being an Imperial pilot? Any homebrew that would ease one into playing one?

I've been listening to Vietnam War pilot memoir audiobooks and I'm hypin' in the mood for some vicious jet combat.
>>
>>52582498
>>52585239
>>52585306
>>52586186
>>52587665
Thanks lads.
>>
>>52591320
Veteran friend got back to me. Standard loadout for his unit on patrols was two frags and one flash. Some guys carried two to three smokes on top of that.

Actual infantry (he was artillery and chem) carried more, said he. It he didn't give me an actual number. I'd assume at least double because of other times where he said grunts always left with more of everything.

It's worth mentioning that in one deployment he carried none; he was acting as a Colonel's guard and they were in an area with a lot of civilians. Paranoia won the day with that ROE.
>>
>>52586200
Yeah, it seems useful, without being totally overpowered. The weapon damage is only like 1d10+3, so you're banking on the armor piercing and Fear to make the most of it.
>>
>>52592168
Well, it's Black Crusade, so power armour Unnatural Strength can back up that soak penetration, but without Felling it sounds pretty niche.
>>
>>52593986
It is a daemon weapon meant to kill daemons and the vast majority of daemons in BC are weak shits.
>>
File: 1490916786093.jpg (315KB, 1033x755px) Image search: [Google]
1490916786093.jpg
315KB, 1033x755px
Is there a pack of 40k resources to use with Roll20?
>>
>>52582021
To throw or to shoot? I generally carry 3 or 4 if I'm throwing them, but I've carried between 12 and 24 depending on what grenade launcher I've had
>>
>>52595110
Both actually. I just finished playing a character with a Voss-pattern automatic grenade launcher who, by the end of the campaign, had 22 grenades left on his person, but I'm also working on a Blood Pact sergeant costume and I'm torn on what combination of frags, kraks, and smokes to construct for it. That part's a bit outside the thread's scope though.
>>
I'm reading through Black Crusade and trying to figure out how much infamy to grant my players. Say they slay a Bloodletter in honorably combat - how much infamy is that worth? Sorry if it's really obvious and I've just overlooked it somewhere.
>>
>>52598893
If the core book isn't satisfactory, try Tomb of Excess' expanded infamy rules.

This is one-on-one, nothing else combat?

Is the player also going to have the defeated Bloodletter stuffed into it's own hellblade and become a daemon weapon?
>>
>>52598948
It was one on one for the most part. The token non-CSM in question managed to convince the other characters not to interfere. AFAIK, they have no plans to stuff the Bloodletter into its own blade. Though they did ask if they could have said hellblade for themselves. I wasn't sure because I thought it'd just dissolve away like everything else daemonic and dead.
>>
>>52581063
Bumping this question
>>
>>52599021
It could be a punishment by Khorne for the Bloodletter failing to slay a mortal and being bound into it's own weapon as punishment or something.
>>
File: 1483971181253.jpg (282KB, 1024x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1483971181253.jpg
282KB, 1024x1268px
>>52581063
If I knew the system better, I would work on one.
A quick glance suggests they don't get much in the way of cheap advances, but they do get a re-roll on the mutation table. Also, special psy-powers, right?
What are Undivided's weaknesses vs. the devoted right now? Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas.
The first thing I would go for is making them not suffer fellowship penalties when dealing with followers of the other gods. In oldfluff, it's usually an Undivided Lord who brings everyone together. They also usually get some sort of moral bonus, to represent their devotion to the ideology of chaos. Maybe cheap access to an ability that reduces fear penalties? Or cheaper command talents?
>>
>>52599947
They don't get cheap advances, but they don't have expensive ones either.
>>
>>52579504

Any time I hear anything about ships in 40k, It always has Murder Servitors that never serve the ship right.

When will a party attempt to launch all the robots out of a shuttle before this shit happens?
>>
Think of the purest member of your party.

What do you think their flesh tastes like?
>>
How do you counter forcefields?
>>
>>52602462
lots of shooting unfortunately, it has to short out eventually.
>>
What dice do I need to physically learn how to play Deathwatch? Also any other items I could get, like sheets or something?
>>
>>52599947
I'd say Bring back Undivided Princes I made an Undivided Prince by adapting the existing Prince-system, just giving the prince the generic Daemon Prince rules, and access to all the favor rewards, but at inflated cost.
>>
>>52532386
We're all more or less familiar with how popular it can be to go from one game system to another; AGP being the most well-known example, or how people seem to like going from DH to BC when the Heresy gets to be too much.

Anyone have a particular favorite combination of games? Any memorable transitions from one to the other?
>>
>>52591318
Bumping this.
>>
>>52594848
One can assume that if there is, it's going to be ludicrously overpriced.
>>
>>52532386
First time 40k GM doing Only War. My players are :psyker, enginseer, sergeant, and heavy weapons.
I'm putting them up against orks for our first campaign.

What should I expect from this squad comp? How should I balance combats? I'm used to dnd where there are usually tools to help with balancing. I don't have the innate sense of balance that some GM's have.
>>
>>52603141
If daemon princes become little more than extensions of their god's will, what happens to undivided princes?
>>
>>52604083

Auto-torn apart unless you replace canon with headcanon.
>>
>>52604083
According to Bela'kor's fluff, the illusion of free will by being a slave to four conflicting wills.

It's not really mentioned anymore, but powerful daemon princes also used to carve out their own little Realm of Chaos out in the Formless Wastes. Which, IIRC, was far more common for Undivideds.
>>
>>52604096
But anon, didn't you hear Laurie Goulding's 2016 interview? All the IP is created equal, old fluff still counts :^)
>>
>>52603141
Removing Undivided Daemon Princes was a terrible idea. They wrote themselves into a corner that requires them to either bring them back, or rape the fluff even further the moment they decide to do anything with Lorgar post-heresy.

Though "that was a terrible idea" pretty much encompasses everything surrounding Belakor's hamfisting into 40k.
>>
>>52604148

But ADB said in 2017 in his Master of Mankind interview that old fluff stands until new fluff overwrites it, and the Siege of Terra will be completely different to how we know it :^) :^) :^)
>>
>>52604225
It's actually pretty hilarious, and a good analogy for the state of 40k fluff that Laurie Goulding said that, and then two years later (4 months ago), said that all the IP is created equal and the only wrong way to 40k fluff is to get pissy over what other people like. While ADB said all the fluff was created equal, and then reversed his stance a few years later.

It's such a mess that the current IP content creators can't keep it straight.
>>
>>52550584
Personally I statted the Heavy Thunderhammer to be the same as the normal one, turned it up to Concussive 3, and since I run BC's Righteous Fury rules (d5 on the crit chart) I increased the crit range to 9-0, and made it a d10 on the crit charts to reflect the Pulverise rule
>>
>>52604225
>>52604266

It's okay, we won't get the Siege of Terra (part 1 of 40) for another three decades.
>>
>>52603094
plz rpensond
>>
>>52604266
At the end of the day, who gives a shit about if some gaming group somewhere decides to ignore a bit of new fluff in favor of old, or vice versa. I really don't understand how the internet (and it's not just /tg/ autism, it's other sites too); get so fucking heated that some people out there like badwrongfluff.

>>52604381
All the systems require is the rules and 2d10 or percentile dice. Everything else is extraneous depending on how detailed and specific you and your group want to get.
>>
>>52543899
My recommendation: What Requisitions officer in their right minds would trust them with -anything- after fucking up that bad? Hit them with a penitent mission, 0 Requisition. Signature Wargear is stripped if they have any. They have to prove themselves worthy of the right to carry anything special. go in with bolt pistols/bolters and combat knives/chainswords. If you have a libby, no force weapon, chainsword instead, maybe a restraining collar so they cant cast anything more than fettered. Techmarine has to leave the servo arm at home.

And make it a mean mission against foes that would probably need those special weapons, like a special traitor formation like zerkers, rubrics, plagues or noise. Put them against a squad of terminators if you REALLY want to drive the point home. Let them know that fucking around like that will only result in getting hamstringed and put them in grave danger. Make 'em suffer.
>>
>>52604666
>maybe a restraining collar so they cant cast anything more than fettered
At that point you're spending extra resources to cripple them.
>>
>>52604444
>I really don't understand how the internet (and it's not just /tg/ autism, it's other sites too); get so fucking heated that some people out there like badwrongfluff.

Because the internet grogs are so shallow that an attack on their hobby is interpreted as an attack against them and their personal beliefs, and they get defensive.
>>
File: OrkBoy1.jpg (22KB, 334x479px) Image search: [Google]
OrkBoy1.jpg
22KB, 334x479px
>>52603375
I've only done that once, going from Dark Heresy to Rogue Trader, and not even with a Warrant of Trade - just a shady deal with a fithy rich xenos that left us at the head of an Imperial military force armed with some of the toughest, killiest archaeotech around.
>>52603477
What powers is the psyker taking?
You can probably throw anything short of a Warboss at them and they'll be fine, but a good rule of thumb is to compare their weapons to the target's soak. If they've got a 60% chance or better of slipping wounds in and it has less than 30 wounds they'll probably be fine if they fight smart.
>>
>>52605136
>What powers is the psyker taking?
He hasn't told me me yet.

I'll see what I can do. I'm planning on wrapping up their first campaign with a warboss and some nobs. They'll have a good bit of support too though.
>>
Ask a slaanesh worshiping primarch anything
>>
>>52607822
What's it like inside the painting?
>>
>>52608078
#rekt
>>
>>52608078

But Fulgrim isn't in the painting. He got out.
>>
>>52608100
I thought it was left up for debate whether he got out or was just replaced by a daemon.
By the way Shas, any thoughts on making undivided more viable as per this post? >>52581063
>>
>>52608126

Nah, the books made it fairly clear he got out of the painting. And I can't think of anything with Undivided, after all. I do try to follow party line, after all, except when I don't. Perhaps approaching from a Renegade perspective rather than an Undecided perspective will offer some ideas? It would require digging into ancient material. Retcon by omission is not a retcon, after all.
>>
What would be the best ship for an inquisitor to have? I want something with a decent bit of firepower, so when the party really fucks things up there can be orbital bombardments (Willingly and unwillingly), along with some hangar space and stuff, but don't want the inquisitor to have several thousand people following him around in a ship. Going through rouge trader now but I don't have a lot of time to do planning.
>>
>>52608652
> several thousand people following him around in a ship.
Last I checked, even the smallest warp-capable ships have a crew of several thousand.
>>
>>52608652
You should get an iconoclast destroyer and fill it with prison cells and boarding torpedoes.
>>
>>52608898
What if the boarding torpedoes are the prison cells?
>>
>>52609189
Just make sure you don't have a daemonhost and four plucky heretics on board.
>>
Are there any high Agility/Dodge/lots of attacks attack/moves really quick builds you can do in Dark Heresy?

Can you do them as a Tech Priest or an otherwise heavily modified, basically-a-cyborg character?
>>
Does anyone have a loxatl or saharduin enemy/player sheet? I vaguely recall Blood Pact NPCs, too.
>>
When you play Black Crusade is it usually a good idea to limit the party to either all Astartes or all mortals for balance reasons?
>>
>>52610417
Yes.
>>
>>52610417
No.

It's always a good idea.

(not so) Recently pulled out of a game, because at least one player was getting pissy that the GM let me play CSM.
>>
>>52605136
>just a shady deal with a fithy rich xenos
>accepting a pact with a xenos

extra heretical
>>
>>52610479
>>52610441
What are good campaign ideas for CSM?
>>
>>52610978
There is a shrine world. Go defile it.
>>
>>52609707
>techpriest
>agility
You're a funny guy
>>
>>52604444
>and it's not just /tg/ autism
Indeed. It's 40k autism, arguably as potent.
>>
>>52609707
Which DH?
>>
>>52609707
Assassin with good/best quality augmetics.
>>
>>52611478

1st or 2nd, I play both.

>>52611536

Okay cool.
>>
>>52532386
How badly would a psychic blank PC or NPC fuck up an Only War campaign?

I know for a fact that at some point one of my players will ask to play one.
>>
>>52611984
Besides the fact that everybody would be irritable around that person and probably want to kill them?
>>
>>52611984
>>52612069
Also, just say no. Blanks are inqusition territory.
>>
>>52610610

It's unwise to upset a being that can buy and sell subsectors on a whim.
>>
>>52611984
It won't fuck up anything because OW does not have rules for playing as am Untouchable.

Now if you plan on porting over the Untouchable rules from 2E, it will all depends on what you plan to throw at them. Being an Untouchable is a MASSIVE XP sink, as almost all of their traits are Willpower based and Willpower is hard to get up unless specifically build for it, which can be tricking in OW since the aptitude system is less Flexible than in 2E. To get any of the good or even semi useful traits, you'll need a WP of at least 45, and the really useful stuff that actual makes the Untouchable worthwhile require 50-55 WP. Almost all of an Untouchables useful talents are also tier 3, so it's an investment no matter what. For a non WP optimized character, you are looking at 2-2.5k XP bare minimum investment to be even halfway useful. This will put the Untouchable significantly behind the rest of the party in skills/talents/general progression.

A well built Untouchable can be retardedly overpowered, especially against demons. In fact, Untouchables are not actually that great against Psykers in general unless they are built for melee and pump a shit load of XP into taking the talent that lets them reduce psi ratings several times. The issue is that unlike a lot of the homebrew and semi-official Null rules that got made for 1E, in 2E, an Untouchable only ever gets a small resistance to psychic powers, and the resistance never increases.

If you plan on throwing a lot of demons at them though, after a few thousand XP, expect the Untouchable to fucking demolish just about everything you throw at him.

tl;dr Untouchables are a massive XP sink that are of questionable usefulness in most situations but can be ridiculously overpowered within their super specialized niche.
>>
>>52612069
>>52612101
Yeah. Smart suggestion.

>>52612214
Thank you for this. Seriously. I'll find the rules and study up myself. I'll also screenshot this and show any player that asks then refer them to the rulebook.
>>
>>52612270
Yea, I've played a lot of Untouchable characters over the years, and was very disappointed in how they were implemented in 2E. One might argue that they were overpowered in 1E, but they were gimped to hell and back in 2E. The fact is that becasue the aptitudes for WP are Willpower and PSYKER, an Untouchable can only ever have a maximum of 1 aptitude towards it for advancements, and throw in the fact that you need very good stating WP AND several WP advancements to ever be able to get to the top of it's talent tree and it's a pain in the ass to be forced to dump all of your XP into it.

Their primarily anti-demon focus and the way their powers work also mean they are useless as ranged characters. For anti demon duty, the best build is one with a very heavy focus on evasion, so that they can get in close and neutralize the demon's powers and they stay alive long enough for the rest of the party to focus fire it down.

If you ignore the anti-demon stuff and pump pure anti-psyker, they can be very good at their job, but only after you boost their psi disruption up to 5 or 6 points so that they can actually nullify psykers instead of just weakening them. The fact that they are no longer simply immune to all powers makes them far less useful than in 1E, becasue all it takes is one lucky roll for an enemy psyker to fry you with mind bullets/lightning/fire if you don't have enough psi disruption to completely negate ALL of his psi rating. And again, you need to be within 4-10 meters of the target to do any of this, so again, ranged combat is not an option for you.
>>
>>52612270
Tanks not blanks against daemons and the forces of chaos.
>>
new

>>52613343
>>52613343
>>52613343
>>
File: Loxatl rules.png (558KB, 782x668px) Image search: [Google]
Loxatl rules.png
558KB, 782x668px
>>52609707
Yes. If you're playing 2e, you'll want the Finesse and Agility aptitudes. Offence and Weapon Skill might be good too if you want to make a lot of melee swings, and Defence will really cut down on the cost of advancing Dodge.
First off, high Agility covers GOTTAGOFAST and dodge. Buy up Dodge, obviously, and then take Step Aside for a second Reaction per round. Swift Attack and Lightning Attack let you land extra hits per round, but if you want to actually roll multiple attacks in melee I'm afraid you'll need to dual wield, and the talents for that really aren't worth it. For moving fast, there are a few things - first off, Sprint lets you double your move speed. Don't spend XP for the talent; if you're going cyber anyway, then pick up some good robolegs and you get it bundled in. Preternatural Speed lets you charge from farther away, and if you buy up Acrobatics as well as Dodge then Assassin Strike lets you move out of melee after swinging, preventing enemies from multiattacking back and freeing your allies to gun them down without taking penalties for shooting into melee. If dual wielding, it can also let you pop an attack on one target, then move past them to engage another.
First edition is much more straightforward: make a melee Assassin and invest heavily in cybernetics. Take a look at Alternate Career Ranks; there's one or two for Assassins that affiliate you with the Mechanicus. Do note that many Talents don't work the same way in the two editions.
>>52611389
Welcome to second edition. Cogboys can be agile now, and Only War brought the Alatus Jump Pack into the 2e ruleset...
>>52610091
Loxatl were statted in a Deathwatch book. I'm not sure which, but I'll pull them up shortly. If anyone does have Saharduin I'd be grateful, but Blood Pact are easy - take a Guardsman, slap on a respirator and some corruption points, and maybe bump up Willpower by two or three points.
>>
File: Loxatl.png (163KB, 322x348px) Image search: [Google]
Loxatl.png
163KB, 322x348px
>>52610091
Mark of the Xenos, page 68.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.