[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 25

File: oie_F86cKBEdTTug.jpg (47KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
oie_F86cKBEdTTug.jpg
47KB, 600x600px
Last thread
>>52446860

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Do you game with strangers at conventions, game nights, etc? How's your experience?

also
>what's your gf favorite game?
>>
File: IMG_2194.jpg (89KB, 730x524px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2194.jpg
89KB, 730x524px
Repost from the last thread

Does anyone know where I can find a scan of the old Oregon Trail board game?
>>
>>52501493
Dead of Winter, she really enjoys those crossroads cards.
She also enjoys Once Upon a Time quite a bit.
>>
Are there any good sci-fi themed racing games? Something like WipEout or Immortal Grand Prix as a board game?
>>
>>52502220
race for the galaxy
>>
>>52501493
I'll play with whoever at the local board game club, most people are pretty chill. Gf isn't really into board games, but she doesn't mind Pandemic and Carcassonne.
>>
>>52501493
>Do you game with strangers at conventions, game nights, etc? How's your experience?
Just got back from a con, actually, spent the majority of yesterday with 6 strangers playing twilight Imperium, and got a good number of other games in with both friends, friends of friends and strangers over the con.

The biggest difference is that, for the most part, you are all here to play the game, and unless someone is being REALLY obnoxious, there aren't really any external emotional factors that are influencing the game (barring the couples/parents with children that show up). The flipside of that is that you don't quite get the same fun hanging with your buddies aspect of it.

The other thing is that player counts tend to be feast or famine, depending on how popular the games are. You aren't trying to run the games with the ideal number like you would on a personal game night, but rather, you are either trying to scrounge up just enough to start, or near/at the player limit cause no one at these things really wants to exclude anyone if that person CAN play, even if the game would be BETTER with less. Depends a bit on the Game Organizer too.

It's a really good way to try some games before you buy though
>>
>>52501493
>>>Do you game with strangers at conventions, game nights, etc? How's your experience?
Haven't gone too a game night or meetup outside my group yet. There's a local gameshop near me that does game nights on the weekend and I wanna go to one some day. Cons also seem like a lot of fun but there's only one I know of in my area; the rest would be a bit too far for me.
>>
>>52501493
Wife, and I believe it is Mechs vs Minions.
Star Wars Rebellion just arrived and I hope she likes it.
Also we enjoy Kemet a lot.
>>
>>52501493

>>what's your gf favorite game?
Above and Below
Arcane Academy
Arboretum
Agricola
Cyclades
>>
>>52502220

Rush n Crush might be the closest at the moment. Also, the people behind Thunder Alley and Grand Prix from GMT are working on a Mad Max style game called Apocalypse Road. However, that one will not be out until 2018 according to BGG.
>>
>>52501493
>What's your gf's favorite game?
>What's gf's favorite game?
>What's gf's game?
>What's gf?
>Gf.

Pls to stop.
>>
She likes Imperial Assault and Caverna. She's banned from TI3. We'll see how she handles Rex
>>
Munchkin. No, I'm not kidding.

>>52510593
>She's banned from TI3
go on
>>
On average, people play a game less than once. Games are sold unopened by the dozen online, so it is not even the case that people try a game or read its rules and dislike it. The trend is buy shallow hype games sight unseen and never play them before selling them on to "make room" for the next pile of "value" they are told to buy by "independent" reviewers.

Tell me, is kickstarter really healthy for this hobby?
>>
>>52510685
> On average, people play a game less than once.

On average, you sniff your fingers after pulling out bullshit like the comment.

> Games are sold unopened by the dozen online,

And over 85% of all violent crimes are committed within 12 hours of either the criminal or the victim eating bread. Obviously bread leads to violent crime. We should ban it.

tl:dr - No one's buying your bullshit as usual. Admit it, you're a gay masochist - a veritable sucker for punishment.
>>
File: top jack.png (217KB, 1119x1086px) Image search: [Google]
top jack.png
217KB, 1119x1086px
Hey guys, wondering how the new Warhammer quest is? Having a look at buying it. Used to play the old one when I was a lot younger but I'm unsure if the new one is worth it or not. Obviously I wouldn't buy it from games workshop, just linking it for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Warhammer-Quest-Silver-Tower-EN
>>
The average gamer thinks Blood Rage, Santorini and their ilk have "depth" and that a "heavy" game is one that has many tokens. Reheated 5-6 scoring games with miniatures to appease the seal-clapping morons become BGG top rated masterpieces.

Go is a game with depth. Most gamers won't touch it because it doesn't have miniatures.

Ask yourself, is this really healthy?

Wait 3 years before buying a flavour of the month game. Then enough reviewers will have given it enough plays to provide informed opinions. NEVER buy games on kickstarter.
>>
>>52511136
>Wait 3 years before buying a flavour of the month game. Then enough reviewers will have given it enough plays to provide informed opinions. NEVER buy games on kickstarter.
Six months is usually enough, that;s how long it took for CSi to start trying to unload Cry Havoc at 70% off.
>>
>>52501493
I've gone to two public board game nights at different locations on Meetup, and both of those times I ended up late due to public transport issues and had to deal with scraps of people who wouldn't either shut the fuck up about random off-topic shit constantly while playing Stone Age, couldn't pay attention to the obscenely easy rules or do the most basic of math and dragged the game to almost two and a half hours, or were playing Dominion and were not interesting people in the slightest and were terrible at playing, despite one of them supposedly playing the game for years. I'm generally tolerant of people, I work in IT so it's pretty much a requirement but man both of those experiences were really testing my patience. Both of those games are also as fun as watching paint dry.

The second place was at a 18th century hotel which was converted into a pub, and the underground area we were playing at was a really beautiful location as far as 18th century underground architecture goes. I'm going to see if I can bring a friend there this week, at least the dude running the event seems like a cool person.
>>
>>52510624
She just can't stay focused for 8 hrs. So she's not allowed to play most wargames, despite wanting to play. She likes the idea of them but she's a spaz
>>

I've considered attending a local game night hosted at a nearby FLGS but haven't due to some small social anxiety I have... would prefer to pop my cherry with a friend in tow.

>>what's your gf favorite game?

Luckily my wife has become less averse to playing games and is broadening her horizons. She used to love Pandemic but now we more regularly play Arkham Horror LCG and BattleCON.
>>
>>52501493
> Do you game with strangers at conventions, game nights, etc? How's your experience?

Maybe it's just my location but people I played in board game bars were mostly try hards and somewhat younger than me (I'm 29).

I mean try hards as you usually associate with the "girl gamer" stereotype not people that try to push your shit in in every board game. I wouldn't mind the latter.

> what's your gf favorite game?
> tfw no gf
but when I had one it was Imperial Settlers.
>>
>>52503905
This.
>>
>>52501493
Broom Service and Patchwork. And I'm really ok with that
>>
>>52511321
The cheapest I've seen it sold is $40 right now. Do you think it's worth that much?
>>
>>52508782
She sure does like the letter A.
>>
>>52511321
Just ignore the shitposter. He puts up the same bait every single thread.
>>
>>52502220
Theres a series called Gunship that I think has some racing games in it. No idea how good they are.
>>
>>52501493
Rarely, often because the results are depressing. More often I or my Friends just bring a new person to a game night at my place.

Netrunner, definitely.
>>
>>52511136
>Most gamers won't touch it because it doesn't have miniatures.

Eclipse does and even now it doesn't get the praise it should.
>>
People who don't play games because there aren't minis or some shit like this cannot be called "gamers". They are just idiots.

A car is a car. Just because it isn't chromed doesn't mean it doesn't work fine.
>>
>>52514976
Lots of people avidly collect boardgames but are ambivalent about actually playing them.

Boardgames are a perfect collectible item.
>>
Terraforming Mars -- any opinions on it? Anybody here played it?
>>
>>52515230
Like I said, these aren't "gamers" because they don't game. I may be a casual and must own perhaps 10 games or so (one of which I made myself) but I play them (or at least those that I can, looking at you Descent).

Keeping something for the sake of collection is hardly fitting of a hobby where you are supposed to actually manipulate and use those objects in order to entertain yourself and your friends.
>>
>>52515331
Played it on TTS. I enjoy it quite a bit.
>>
>>52515331
Bland engine builder
>>
>>52515331
This >>52516517
>>
>>52515331
see >>52511136
>>
>>52515331
>>52516517

I wanted to disagree but I have a hard time doing so. Like Munchkin, you'll have a decent time seeing all the cards and card combos, but eventually the novelty wears off and the frustration of random card draws will set in. I've yet to try the draft variant, but I highly doubt it'll make up for the hour added onto the game length.

Attack cards are also wonky; ranging from useless to devastating and really are no fun for anyone involved.
>>
Anyone here plays Descent 2nd Ed.?

What expansion you got and do you think they're worth it?
>>
>>52501749
Hey anon. I hope someone really comes through for you. I looked around and couldn't find a good scan anywhere. Out of curiosity why this one? It's not rated very high.
>>
>>52514793
I love Eclipse, and I own nearly every expansion for it (except for a few of the obscure holiday items). That said, is an 'OK' Space 4x game. I've got Eclipse, Ascending Empires, Empires of the Void, Hegemonic, Exodus plus expansions, TI3 plus expansions, and Space Empires 4x.

Eclipse has some really cool things going for it like custom ship design and an easy to teach system. But the random tech draw can completely screw an otherwise good player. And the political system can be ignored with virtually zero measurable impact on the game. And most Eclipse games play out in a very predictable fashion first 1/2 to 2/3 of the game everyone scrabbles for resources and tech while building big fleets. Turns 7 - 9 see loads of bloody conflict to secure the most victory points. Betraying an 'alliance' costs you a production cube and *maybe* -2 victory points if you're the last person to betray an alliance. Said -2 VP's can easily be recouped by taking several systems, not to mention the VPs for winning battles.

Personally I'm looking forward to Empires of the Void II. It looks to have a well thought out system that strongly encourages direct player interaction from the vary start of the game.
>>
>>52511136
>Go is a game with depth. Most gamers won't touch it because it doesn't have miniatures.

Bullshit! American / European gamers have no experience with it because it's not common to those cultures. It's like going to South America or Asia and expecting them to all be familiar with Chess because 'Mah Ethnocentrism!' As for why so few play Go / Chess or other games like it - most gamers do NOT want to spend *YEARS* memorizing specific set pieces and patterns so that they can play at some 'RANKED' level of play.

>Ask yourself, is this really healthy?

No, your 'vague and unfounded' generalizations aren't healthy. But feel free to continue sharing your 'butt-nuggets' of so-called wisdom with us. We can use a good laugh.

>Wait 3 years before buying a flavour of the month game. Then enough reviewers will have given it enough plays to provide informed opinions. NEVER buy games on kickstarter.

Yes folks! Remember, if you play a game with 'sub-optimum' mechanics and/or rules sets - you're having "Bad Wrong Fun!" (tm). And God kills a kitten every time you do... Anon, all your statement really tells us is that *You're* incapable of making a choice based on using your own judgement from reading the rules. "Oh Gosh! I might have bad wrong fun. Better acquire 3+ years of data or they'll take away my '733t G@m3rZ' badge." On the plus side, your inability to make a choice on your own does leave you extremely well qualified for a life in politics.
>>
File: 56246.png (347KB, 680x243px) Image search: [Google]
56246.png
347KB, 680x243px
Be honest, isn't that the most obnoxious board game kikery you have ever seen? What kind of stretch goal figure is that? They couldn't leave out the 5 dollars to make it a nice sum? What the fuck? They already got several million dollars for a couple plastic figures. Fucking cunts.
>>
Conventions, it's a mix of stangers and friends, usually more strangers if I'm in the Playtest Zone at the UK Games Expo. At meetups I'm usually the one who ends up playing with new people, out of some desperate desire to bring new people into the hobby. If there are no newbs, I usually play with at least one person I vaguely know, but I did play Thunderbirds with one guy I didn't know recently... mainly because everyone else bailed to play Bloodborne: The Card Game.

But yeah, playing with people you don't know is usually kinda fun, provided they're not complete douchenozzles.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA fuck you HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Gloomhaven Kickstarter back on tomorrow at noon anons. Have you jumped on the hype train?

Wife's favorite game is Castles of Mad King Ludwig. She's utterly obsessed with it

I don't game with strangers I don't want to have to reveal my true power level
>>
>>52501493
I need a coop game for my wife and I. I like crunch, she likes fluff. I have no ideas left and am open to any suggestions.
>>
>>52515331
Only play with card draft and corporations.

Expect a solid two and a half to three hours.

If you like engine builders, it's a very very solid engine builder.

Hate drafting is easier because the draft is a two step process. You pick a card from a hand like normal, but of the cards you pull, you choose which ones you want to pay for to add to your hand. Thus, you can hate draft and then just not pay for it with little loss to yourself.

Components are pretty shit quality.
>>
>>52518968
Arkham Horror LCG?
>>
>>52518012
This was a bit unfair to him. There are shitty kickstarters, it is hard to get into Go (no hook), and his health remark was just an off-the-cuff, half-apologetic (if pretentious) insult.

You must REALLY like the games he mentioned to be this butthurt. I think I'll google them.
>>
>>52518821
>Be honest, isn't that the most obnoxious board game kikery you have ever seen? What kind of stretch goal figure is that? They couldn't leave out the 5 dollars to make it a nice sum? What the fuck? They already got several million dollars for a couple plastic figures. Fucking cunts.
That figure is $1 higher than their previous highest grossing Kickstarter. That's all the goal is -- make Rising Sun their most 'successful' (by measure of dollars raised) Kickstarter.

So no. There's a lot of kikey things about how CMoN runs their KS's, but that is not one of them. Honestly stretch goals of this manner are one of the more appropriate kinds of stretch goals if only because they aren't arbitrary.
>>
>>52518968
Zombicide: Black Plague?
>>
>>52518968
So far I've had success with

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Escape: Curse of the Temple
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Pandemic Legacy
Mysterium
Code Names

Others I'm sure she'll enjoy just haven't gotten yet

Black Orchestra
Dead of Winter
>>
>>52501493

Castles of Burgundy and Mechs and Minions so far.
>>
>>52517411
Anon, what's your preference on a 4X game that's light on the Extermination side of things? Or, has a political system that matters, I should say.
>>
I'm just getting into boardgames. I'm spending a bit each month in games to play with friends. Is there "/tg/'s Hall of Fame"? Or like a top 50/100, like /v/'s?
I really don't know much and would like to play the essentials.
>>
>>52519650
I started myself and I'd say
Dominion
Settlers of Catan
>>
File: 1490671736485.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
1490671736485.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52519650
there is no essential. there's taste

also bgg and charts
>>
File: 1499672791867.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1499672791867.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
>>52519650
>>
>>52519709
>>52519747
thanks a lot for these charts. I'll save them up.
I'm finding that /tg/ is a bit less elitist than /v/.
>>
>>52519650
depends on what kind of games you like
The Dice Tower did a good list about top 10 essentials so I would recommend checking that out
as for my advice I'd say get a heavy game that interests you, because it's always nice ending a session with big game
>>
>>52519827
/tg/ is still pretty elitist, but board games are so diverse and can appeal to such widly disparate tastes that the board game general can't help but be either very tolerant or a massive shitfest of clashing preferences. Mostly we're the former.
>>
>>52519075
>You must REALLY like the games he mentioned to be this butthurt. I think I'll google them.

What games? He picked a couple of low hanging bait games that have been around for centuries for his 'I play X strategy game - therefore I'm a superior' / all KS games are rubbish' malarkey.
>>
>>52519650

So much of what you should buy depends on the group. If you know your friends don't have much attention span or are gathering to enjoy each other more than engage with a rules system, going with light party games is always a good option. Codenames, A Fake Artist Goes to New York, Mysterium, and Spyfall are all great in this regard.

Player count is also a big factor. How many players is your group?
>>
>>52519685
>Settlers of Catan

I don't mind a bit of RNG, but Catan's is just to the point where skill is over-ruled by luck.
>>
>>52519827
So much of running a good game night is knowing the tastes of the group so there's no use to turning your nose up to certain kinds of games. If you even suspect that your group won't engage in dense rules, its better sticking to something ligther even if it's bad game.
>>
>>52520121
about 4 total. Sometimes 1 more or 1 less.
heavy rules games are not a problem I think, 3 of us really dig that style, and the odd one just doesn't likes reading rules but can really get into games if you walk her through it.
>>
>>52520265
4-5 is a really good group size.

If you like conflict I think anything from the Matagot DoaM (Dudes on a Map) line is good. Cyclades, Kemet, and Inis are all rather fun, medium-weight games.

I've had a lot of luck with Chinatown, as my group is really in love with heavy player interaction and trading.

My favorite coop game is Space Alert but it's really high energy and it can stress some people out. It's played out in real time so I use it as a gateway to introduce people to that concept. Really, anything but Vladda Chvatil is going to be interesting in some aspect. Galaxy Truckers never fails to bring our table erupting with laughter.

Fury of Dracula is a really popular game of the 4v1 genre, so one player can manically plan everyone else's destruction while the rest hunt him down.
>>
>>52520400
Thanks a lot for your recs. Fury of Dracula seems just what I'm looking for, but the rest look really fun as well.
>>
>>52519071
How good is this game? How is it compared to the board version?
>>
>>52501493
Just back from 3+ days in Indy for Whosyercon, didn't get much board gaming in this time round, catalog was weak and they didn't release it til after event submission was closed so didn't submit anything while waiting to see if there'd be good stuff to demo. Caught the crud from some idiot who had his 6yr old kid there sneezing/coughing non-stop for 2 hrs while playing Stone Age and wiping his hands on the dice (the guy running the game looked ready to explode). Finally got a chance to play World's Fair 1893 though, Renegade is putting out seriously good stuff because that might be my new go-to suggestion for worker placement intros now.
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52519709
Stop posting the old version, someone's autism is likely to explode about the tiny imperfections. Also it makes it feel like the work I did on it last month was worthless.
>>
>>52521002
Next time you feel like a revision, get Stronghold onto the heavier 2p recs. Holy shit has that thing been a gold mine.
>>
>>52521112
I haven't been able to get my copy of it to the table nearly enough (larger group 4 - 7 players).
>>
>>52519071
>>52519081
>>52519103
Thanks, guys.
>>
File: 1490091944441.jpg (75KB, 362x447px) Image search: [Google]
1490091944441.jpg
75KB, 362x447px
>>52501493
What if I have a bf op?
His favourite game is carcasonne because I bought it for his birthday
>>
>>52522239
Then your boyfriend has very dull taste in games, but at least he appreciates you!
>>
>>52521112
It's definitely going in the next revision, got half a game in while in Indy, it should be getting spousal approval later this week.
>>
>>52522313
It's his first modern boardgame anon. This was 2 weeks ago. Give him time

Also carcassonne isn't dull, it's comfy
>>
>>52501493

Codenames, Kemet, and Forbidden Stars. She gets hyper competitive.
>>
>>52501493

Hive. Though I have to intentionally lose sometimes to keep her interested. I'm very slowly introducing to more complex board games and losing every now and then so that she can have fun too.
>>
>>52510685

That's why going to gameshops and cons is a very good idea. You can try the game without buying and check if you like and if it's worth having it at home.
>>
>>52519187

Not that anon but Archipelago
>>
>>52517042
Honestly I'm just curious. I always thought it would make a cool board game, and I'm interested in how they went about it.

Thanks for looking.
>>
>>52519103
>Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
>Escape: Curse of the Temple
>Mysterium

All three of these games are on my radar to check out at some point. Is there anything you like about them and is there anything you wish you knew before you bought them?
>>
>>52519873
>The Dice Tower
I've tried so hard and so often to like them but I just can't
>>
File: IMG_1429.jpg (946KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1429.jpg
946KB, 3264x2448px
What's the game you've just gotta get everything for in your collection?

And has anyone else picked up the newest ascension set?
>>
>me personally I loved the game
https://youtu.be/UZYm3VTYUd0
Where were you when we got a Board Game collider type channel?
>>
>>52517411
>playing Eclipse the slow boring autism steev muh political intrigue way.
STOP

PLAYING

ECLIPSE
>>
>>52523962
>What's the game you've just gotta get everything for in your collection?

All of them of course.
>>
File: DONALDX.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
DONALDX.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
>>52501493
>Strangers
My play group is full of responsible adults with children and shit, so they're a real drag to get to come regularly, so playing with strangers is the only way the I get to play regularly. Also, at the last game night I went to, Donald X. Vaccarino was playtesting his next game, so I'm thinking that I'm going to go back to that one (table was crowded, so I didn't jump in).

>gf fave
My gf won't game with me, but my wife loves Eldritch Horror or Star War Rebellion. We're also getting into The Gallerist, which is a damn fine game.
>>
>>52523859
>SHCD
One of the greats. Do not hesitate, and do not read too much about it. Buy and enjoy with friends.
>E:CotT
Goofy fun. Not my bag, but nothing against it.
>Mysterium
Homicide: Murder in Hong Kong has strangled, poisoned, and shot Mysterium.
>>
>>52525680
In my defense, I accept that I'm probably just playing eclipse wrong and don't complain about it anymore.
>>
>>52523962
king of tokyo , smash up, star realms and hero realms
>>
Jesus christ I need to slow down. In the last 2 months I've bought all this:

>Suburbia
>Aeon's End + expansion
>Epic Card Game (3 copies)
>Valley of the Kings Last Rites
>Valley of the Kings Afterlife
>Xenoshyft Onslaught
>Lost Legends
>Terra Mystica
>Hyperborea
>Bunch of Yugioh Dice Masters
>Race for the Galaxy
>Arkham Horror LCG
>Patchwork
>Ares Project
>Star Wars Rebellion
>Hero Realms
>Core Worlds + both expansions
>Imperial Stars II
>Dice City

I think I spent around $616 excluding sleeves (bought about $100 of sleeves. 1650 Mayday premium and 800 KMC Clear).

Then I backed Epic digital, Song of Swords, and Aeon's End kickstarters for another $250 total. Grand total of $966.

The good news is I have everything I wanted recently that's actually in stock so I don't think this will continue.
>>
>>52528559
I'll play games with you on the street, soon-to-be-broke-and-homeless anon.
>>
>>52528672
Pittsburgh?
>>
>>52511136
I backed Lisboa. Vital Lacerda knows how to make a good heavy eurogame.
>>
>>52528559
>tfw managed to evade the rising sun kickstarter

still not sure if i should have backed it, but the rational part of my brain tells me i dont need it.

now i am wondering if i should get aons end.
>>
>>52530439
The original is the best deckbuilder and coop game that I've ever played. My library is much larger than my splurge list, so take that s you will. The new one improves on several aspects without screwing anything up.

Since I also wanted the new expansion The Void (because more of the best is always good) and didn't have The Nameless yet, I backed at the $80 tier. That's actually quite reasonable. $50 retail for the game, and 2 $15 expansions.
>>
>>52521002
>>52519747
>>52519709
is there a place online with these ? or i mean if i wanted to find a bunch more of these, how?
>>
>>52530439
>still not sure if i should have backed it
The fact that you even had to think about it makes you pathetic. I hope no one here actually went through with that plastic scam.
>>
>>52521002
Add Valley of the Kings to deckbuilders. It's compact, theme-universal, cheap, and about the same weight as Star-Realms.
>>
>>>Recommend me a few games to buy.

my current collection should all be up to date on boardgame geek, my username is auhbz. Its mostly burgerspeil although this may not be my preference.

I haven't started rating games through board game geek but some of my favorites are clank, race for the galaxy, assault on doomrock, deception: murder in hong kong, patchwork... i could go on (I'm not very good at picking favorites apparently).

I've considered what i would get rid of if i needed to make room for more games and all i could come up with was munchkin, point being i haven't really found games that i actively dislike aside from that one (granted i havent played all my games yet).

I have thunderstone quest coming
Im planning to buy le havre when its reprinted

Id like concordia but dont really know where/when i could get it

There isn't any mechanic, theme, or quality in general that i try to stay away from.

Bonus points for games that have some sort of progression, a sense of discovery or adventure, high replayability, and/or elegance in terms of rules //ie it shouldnt take a ton of referencing back and forth, should be slightly intuitive and easy to pick up after a few rounds.

>Other things to consider:
Much of my gaming is just me and one other person
I don't want something from kickstarter
My preference is something that isn't huge and expensive, but i could make an exception for something special. That being said, money isnt an issue id just rather get more games with the same amount of money.
Please dont recommend something impossible to get
I have 3 main groups and a few others here n there and between all of them im pretty confident any game will please at least one group
Player count isn't a concern

Finally, just want to reiterate im not looking for anything in particular, just wanna see what you guys recommend given my current collection. Trying to round it out so to speak so anything goes.

I hope to get some suggestions, thanks in advance.
>>
>>52532084
Concordia gets a reprint and should be available again this may.
>>
>>52532084
War of the Ring
Twilight Struggle
Sekigahara
Caverna
Shogun (queen games)
Twilight Imperium
Hanamikoji
Friedrich

These are all good games that I own that you don't. As you can see, I like wargames. They're fun.
>>
>>52532084
Try these:
>Ares Project
A 2P duel that's heavily strategic and reminiscent of Star Craft right down to the design. 4 rule-defyingly different factions with lots of hidden information, bluffing, resource management, strategy AND tactics. Cheapest $18 or lower on Amazon (was $12).
Downsides: low component quality, weird graphic design, dice combat (IMO a downside).

>Xenoshyft Onslaught
A 2-4P that's very fun at 2P with heavy teamwork and co-op. "Guided" deckbuilding when you need a light-mechanics deckbuilder with a heavier social and tactical element. Has like a bajillion cheap (and big box) expansions for practically endless fun, good box organization, awesome graphic design and some of the best art in a game. Cheapest at Amazon for $45.
Downsides: Components are meh quality, one of the easier co-ops I've played, gets less than a dozen plays out of the box. "Guided" also means training wheels which can be good or bad depending on the group and mood.

>Kemet Ta-Seti Expansion
I have no idea how you made it this far without this required expansion for the black power tiles. It completely revamps the game, making 2P deadly as fuck and 5P actually possible.

>Tash-Kalar
2P abstract summoning game from Vlaada Chvatil. I personally hate his guts and abstracts but judging from Patchwork/Tsaar, you would love it. This game is good even for abstract-haters. It's about creating formations that activate special powers and setting up traps.
Downside: None known except the designer.

>Epic Card Game
A $10 2P (technically 4P) draft or constructed champion dueling card game. Think MtG or Yugioh except no build-up time, just crazy shit immediately. One box does a nice draft and some fast games. 3 boxes ($30 on Coolstuff/Miniaturemarket) gets you a full constructed set. Has 2 expansions that are good. Art is cool. Made by MtG hall-of-famers
Downsides: Quality is meh. Art CAN be odd. Expansions are proportionally expensive.
>>
>>52531291
>is there a place online with these ? or i mean if i wanted to find a bunch more of these, how?
Those are /tg/ OC.
BGG has curated geeklists, if it helps.
>>
>>52523893
SU&SD, GameNight! and rahdo are my kino
>>
>>52535123
>rahdo
I do enjoy his play videos, and his final thoughts are generally interesting but the guy raves about almost everything, which makes it hard to tell what's really good off him alone. He's the anti-version of that "all the games you like are bad" guy, which is good, especially that lack of the up-nose camera, but still needs more of the opposite viewpoint.
>>
>>52535653
He just doesn't review games he doesn't like
>>
>>52535123
>SU&SD
Faggotry detected.
>>
>>52535758
He has on occasion when it was something requested by a kickstarter backer who gave enough money, but yeah he seems to only review stuff he's going to rave about.
>>
>>52535758
Yeah, I saw that thing where he explains that he likes everything he reviews, so basically he's your go-to guy if you're into low player count, low conflict games.
Still, on camera he's like an ADD hamster on speed, and I can't watch him for long periods of time.
>>
>>52535793
There's nothing wrong with a little faggotry in your life every now and then anon. It keeps you balanced. God bless
>>
File: Triple-Triad-FFVIII.png (152KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
Triple-Triad-FFVIII.png
152KB, 480x320px
Man SquareEnix just seems to keep dropping the ball with their non video game products.

First Chocobo Crystal Hunt gets pretty middling to poor reviews from just about everywhere, and now they're pushing their CCG which is a magic-light-no-theme card game that belongs in the early 90s.

Starting to kill my hopes for an actual GOOD final fantasy licensed traditional game.

And it doesn't help that Level99 already put out a better Triple Triad game with Sellswords.
>>
>>52537007
How similar is Sellswords to Triple Triad because I fucking love Triple Triad.
>>
>>52513271
Sure. It's a lot of fun to work out the systems of each faction. And it's a wonderful toy besides. Plus, I would say it's more approachable thematically, than, say, Chaos in the Old World, of which it shares some DNA.
>>
File: 3-ygg.jpg (399KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
3-ygg.jpg
399KB, 1200x720px
>>52537355
It's literally Triple Triad with more depth and special rules.

Each card has numbers on its four sides. Players take turns placing cards. When placing a card you can chose its rotation. Higher numbers flip lower numbers (they don't chain unless a special rule says so). Each card has a unique, special rule (there's only one of any card) that may cause lower to flip higher, cause you to rotate/move an enemy/friendly card, give adjacent cards a bonus/penalty, flip from a distance, etc. The game ends with a 5x5 grid of cards, scoring is not about sheer number of cards controlled but instead you get points for how many cards you control in each row/column. Controlling two cards in a row gives you one point for that row, but controlling all five cards gives you 7. So even if you have fewer cards controlled, you can win with strategic placement of your controlled cards.

It's a good, quick two player game. you choose your cards by randomly drawing twelve cards and then alternating drafting from the available pool, then play all the cards, score, draft again, then play, then score.

It's sad, but understandable that Level99 puts out better board games based on video games than any actual video game developer/publisher.
>>
>>52537823
Oh and two last things
The game usually starts with a center 'terrain' tile that is neutral, unflippable, and might provide a special global rule.

And there's four unique 'terrain' cards and fifty unique hero cards. So there's quite a lot of replayability in the tiny box it comes in.
>>
>>52537823
I'll have to pick this up. Level99 hasn't done me wrong yet.
>>
>>52518012
To be fair, he is right about flavour of the month games. The hype machine is always telling us that this game is greatest thing to ever come out. There is a lot of wisdom in waiting a year or two before buying a game.
>>
how is the final fantasy trading card game ?
>>
I recently played Splendor and want to introduce it to some friends on Tabletop Sim, seems like anything on the workshop got taken down, does anyone know where I can find images of each card or a printable set?
>>
>>52538293
Have not played it, but I've looked through the cards, rules, and watched some gameplay.

If you love final fantasy, have lots of money you don't mind spending, and have a need for a magic-the-gathering-light game, then you will probably be happy.

Decks are made of cards that represent various characters and classes from the Final Fantasy series from generic 'archer' and 'black mage' to 'Auron' or 'Squall'

Each player has five cards in their hand, draws two at the start of their turn, and has to discard down to five at the end of their turn. You can play cards to your 'frontline' or your 'utility'. Playing to your front line requires the expenditure of resources of that card's type and will allow you to attack with these cards on subsequent turns. playing them in your utility will allow you to tap them to generate resources. (Sounding familiar?) Additionally you can discard a card from your hand to generate two resources for playing cards.

When a player attacks by tapping a frontline character, a defending player can block with his own frontline character, usually causing both to 'break' (be destroyed). Some cards have a higher life number which allows them to survive butting heads from weaker characters.

When a hit makes it through to the defender, they discard a card from their deck into a wound track. If you successfully hit the opponent seven times you win.

Also I'm using the word 'tap' instead of their word 'dull' to make it easier to understand.
>>
File: IMG_1768.gif (545KB, 178x100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1768.gif
545KB, 178x100px
>>52518935
I'm all aboard the hype train. I had no free cash when the last one hit, she I'm glad he went to KS for the reprint. Free shipping in the US is just a sweet bonus.
>>
>>52531381
I backed it anon. With all the add-ons. Feels good.
>>
>>52532172
>War of the Ring
Looked into this one but not enough to determine whether its for me or not, will check it out again and go more in depth
>Twilight Struggle
>Sekigahara***
Havent heard of this one
>Caverna
>Shogun (queen games)***
Ive been back and forth about this one, heard mixed things
>Twilight Imperium
>Hanamikoji
Been thinking bout getting this one, waiting for a restock on miniature market
>Friedrich***
Haven't heard of this one

Thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it. Mind telling me about the ones ive starred? What are they like to play? Pros/cons, etc.
>>
>>52535123
>SU&SD
Pretentious twats with occasional good opinions

>rahdo
Garbage tier. Makes me physically angry when I hear his inane ramblings. It's a constant mystery to me how anybody can enjoy his drivel.
>>
>>52537974
>The hype machine is always telling us that this game is greatest thing to ever come out. There is a lot of wisdom in waiting a year or two before buying a game.

As opposed to being able to exercise your own good judgement? The Greeks defined Wisdom as the combination of knowledge and good judgement. It's one thing if you're totally new to gaming and not familiar with styles, mechanics, etc. It's another to be totally dependent on others for your 'judgements'. It didn't take me 2 or 3 years to figure out the Scythe wasn't really going to be a '4x' game in spite of the author's own claims to the contrary right on their KS page. I got more than a little flack from the Hype-Train here for daring to suggest that prior to its release. And what do you know, now that it's been out a while people have had to acknowledge the obvious. It isn't really a 4x game as there is no player elimination and the mechanics don't do much to reward players that engage in direct military conflict in game.

tl:dr - if you become knowledgeable on a topic you don't have to wait for other people in order to make 'Wise' choices.
>>
File: Investigators1.jpg (159KB, 900x783px) Image search: [Google]
Investigators1.jpg
159KB, 900x783px
Still wasting my time painting Mansions of Madness figures lads. At least the investigators are more interesting than some of the enemies.
>>
>>52539452
Because it's excitable drivel which means when he's discussing dull rules that should typically be dry and boring his hyperactive ramblings make it seem more interesting and engaging
>>
>>52540570
i think part of it too is that he just plays the game and tells you as he goes. not much of an intro you have to sit through and he doesn't try to make you hear his opinions unless you click on a second video
>>
Trying today SW:Rebellion for the first time, what side is the easiest to understand / play? Playing with my wife.

Also pretty excited to paint those minis, currently doing Kemet's
>>
>>52518935
After backing KD:M I'm fucking financially exhausted.
I'm backing Gloomhaven tho.
>>
>>52540396
They look good man
>>
>>52540824
I really think they're both really similar. Empire is probably easier to play because they can succeed by just using military might to bully the other player and the rebels require a little more finesse.
>>
>>52541248
Cool, I'll let her choose then. The components look amazing.
>>
>>52518012
>As for why so few play Go / Chess or other games like it - most gamers do NOT want to spend *YEARS* memorizing specific set pieces and patterns so that they can play at some 'RANKED' level of play.
You might find this interesting: http://www.v-mundi.com/2017/chess-the-emperor-has-no-clothes/
It doesn't actually shit on chess like you are, but it shows why many people aren't into it.
>>
>>52541332
that blog post was honestly painful to read. i haven't played chess since like eighth grade and i can't help but feel like whoever wrote that was bullied mercilessly by chess players or something. really low quality stuff and the guy you replied to before at least had the balls to post making it clear what he meant.
>>
>>52541509
The post says basically the same thing, so I'm not sure what you're on about. It boiled down to:
-Chess is memorizing opening moves
-After that, chess is pure calculation which computers do better
-Most people don't like memorization or being turned into computers

Pretty simple. It doesn't actually even bash chess and if you had read it like you claim, you'd note the ending.
>>
>>52541571
thats my point. she's just bitching that computers do it better (which is true of so many things that pointing out it's true about chess is more than irrelevant) and it makes you think differently (which is not inherently a bad thing). she also ignores that some people have minds that work that way to begin with.

as for "at least that other guy made it clear what he meant" the post you shared is her talking about how chess has no benefit and it makes you into a computer and you'll never be better than a computer any so there's no reason to play it. But play it if you like it there's no reason not to XD
>>
>>52541571
thats not even to mention the fact that she states it needs to be dethroned but provides no reason for that to be done. what does she think would be gained for chess to be dethroned? are there games that can have near universal appeal without being puzzles? could something thematic ever actually appeal to enough people to dethrone it?

she wanted to whine about something online so she did it because she knew people who don't really understand the subject but want to hate on it would give her attention. and it's working out nicely for her.
>>
anyone here play Yomi?
how does it stack up against BattleCON?
>>
>>52541647
>>52541745
Oh no, a woman had an opinion. Better get the pitchforks.
>>
>>52542279
oh no, i have nothing to say! better move the goalposts

eat shit, you know it has nothing to do with that
>>
>>52541745
I read the article and I guess she was saying that since it requires humans to do calculations and that's something computers are far superior at, that chess shouldn't be as highly held
>>
Is the latest Doom a plastic pusher?
>>
>>52543912
what game doesn't require calculations? I'm not necessarily saying she's wrong about anything, I'm trying to figure out what point she's making. machines are better at tons of things we do, so if that's her main argument then why do we do anything at all?
>>
File: risk.jpg (145KB, 497x297px) Image search: [Google]
risk.jpg
145KB, 497x297px
How much of a bad person am I for genuinely enjoying this game?
>>
>>52544325
why would it make you bad? its a cool idea. it's all dice combat so obviously theres a huge luck factor but that doesn't mean you have to hate it. it really only annoys people if you try to claim a game like risk is well designed
>>
>>52544255
I don't think a game having a lot of minis automatically means that it's a plastic pusher. It's more of if the game plays well and holds its own. I haven't been able to get my copy to the table but others have praised it here so I'd say it's not one
>>
>>52541859
A friend gifted me a first edition copy.
I like it a lot. It's got more going on than BattleCON, and more buildup and escalation, but it's also not as elegant or pure, and has much more randomness.
Try out the webapp version if you're interested.
>>
>>52545341
So it's a bit more like EXCEED then?
>>
>>52545347
I haven't played exceed yet, buy from what I've said that sounds reasonably apt. Tonight doesn't use a board for tracking position though, and has a lot more cards/mlves per character, though a big chunk of those are vanilla attacks/blocks/dodges/throws.
>>
>>52545451
What I've heard*
>>
>>52540570
>>52540627
I respect your opinions, but...

His manic and rambling rules explanations and playthroughs are like nails on a chalkboard. Add to that his 'care bear' aversion to confrontational games and his numerous rules mistakes, and he is a hard, hard pass for me.
>>
>>52545582
i actually don't like him, i just think his lack of intro and lack of insight is what makes other people like him. you can just turn it on and see kinda how the game goes, no need for a time commitment or to hear some random dudes opinions that may or may not match your own

but ya he's annoying as fuck, no doubt. and his fear of conflict in games is almost as annoying as him pretending to be his own fucking wife
>>
So, how *IS* Gloomhaven?
Is it worth getting into the reprint hype train or should I just hard pass?
>>
>>52545952
You can watch multiple reviews, play throughs, and rules videos. Go make up your own mind anon. Worth noting there are no kickstarter exclusives or stretch goals which is nice.
>>
>>52545952
It looks very mediocre.

It's the new Scythe.
>>
>>52546106

"looks"

shut up and let the people who played speak.
>>
>>52545952

Gloomhaven is great. there's a reason it shot all the way up to 10 in less than 2 months and with less backers than other hot KS games.

An insane number of people who have played the game are rating it a 9 or 10.

I haven't played in 2 weeks because life, but i played 20+ times before that and I'm going crazy notbeing able to play.
>>
>>52546475
It's shit.
>>
>>52540396
Nice! That'll make the game that much more enjoyable. :)
>>
>>52541332
To be honest, I like chess though I don't play often, and I'd like to pick up a nice Go set as well. I was shitting on Anon's lame troll. That said, thank you for the very well written article, and I'm enjoying the Orge video as well.
>>
How is the Warhammer Quest card game?
Any recommendations for games that can be played with small table-space?
>>
>>52547365
shitty rulebook with way too many ambiguities, I don't recommend picking it up now that FFG and GW have split

that's a broad question, what kind of games are you looking for? two-player, multiplayer, solo, co-op, competitive, hand-holding simulator?
>>
>>52545269
A "plastics pusher" is not only some shitty ameritrash where you push plastic around but also rule-less tat (usually kickstarter) that wouldn't see the light of day except that it's an excuse for the company to push plastic on you with the pretence of a game behind it.
>>
>>52539289
>Sekigahara

2 player block war game
The main thing I like is there's no dice (why is this so hard to find in a war game?)

It's asymmetrical, fairly simple in mechanics, is deep in strategy, and looks great. It's also heavily thematic -- every design choice is to give you the feeling of fighting the battle of Sekigahara.

I'd say get it if you
a) like the history behind it
b) are a dirty weeb
c) or are interested in a good block wargame with a diceless combat system.

>Shogun

This is a great light, euro-inspired, pseudo war game. It's pretty easy to teach and I like the cube tower. Despite this, it's probably a little bit long, and it's a fairly expensive game.

I'd get this if I wanted a light area control game / euro game with fighting that had diceless combat. Maybe games like Kemet and Inis serve the purpose better? I haven't played Kemet and Inis but they both look great. That being said, it's rare for a board game to scratch the itches of combat and economic management like Shogun does.

>Friedrich

Another hidden troop, historical war game. This one is interesting because it's a 3v1 set up, but only one person can win. So it's a tug of war and race for victory, but if you're not careful, you can hand the win to the player you're all vsing. Every different faction has its own win conditions, as well as starting generals, max amount of armies, and cards it gets each turn. This game is pretty much a perfect game. Extremely simple in terms of design and mechanics (all the combat cards are simply regular, though stylized, playing cards), yet rich in strategy, bluffing, interaction and replayabilty. It can be taught really easily.

I see people say Maria (made by the same designer) is better. It's a 3 player game, similar history, but a completely different game with similar mechanics and more complexity. Maybe look into that one too.

Get War of the Ring if you like LotR.

Cheers.
>>
>>52537522
CitOW may be flawed, but cry havoc is still shittier, desu.
>>
File: pic3236535_md.png (384KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
pic3236535_md.png
384KB, 500x388px
What do you guys think about Hero Realms?
It looks like a really fun deck builder, and its something I'd like to add to my collection since I have no deck builders and not a lot of 2 player games.

Is the game a money sink? or will just the base game do?
Is it repetitive? or does every game feel different?
And I noticed its stated as 1-4 players, is it any good in any number of players other than 2?
>>
>>52549590
By default it's star realms with a different theme (better for some people though) and supports 4 players out of the box instead of 2.

I prefer star realms but that's because I've played it for longer and at a tournement level which means I have fonder memories of it.

On topic though, the game works very well with 2 and is probably one of the best "competetive" deck-builders out there and easily the best deck builder for 2 players only. No where near a money sink unless you get all the additional stuff and if you don't have star realms then you won't need any of it for a long time because theres so much in the base game to explore. I've played Star Realms for a long time now and I think I've only used expansions a couple of times, the vanilla game is refined enough that it doesn't need it although I could see the starting decks in hero realms being fun.
>>
>>52549590
>>52549649
I also forgot to mention
>Is it repetitive?
Yes and no. The game won't get boring but at the same time after the first 5 or so games you wont be having a different experience every time. It's designed to be a tight competetive game.
>>
>>52549590
I'll just quickly list things I always mention about it:
>Reskinned Star Realms with no changes
>Hero packs are completely unbalanced, yet remain the sole distinct feature of the game
>Lack of scrap in this one, so you have to infinitely spam draw to keep going through your deck
>Extremely sacky, moreso than SR
>Would be amazing as a co-op game, fails utterly as a competitive game.
>Co-op is coming out soon
>Not worth $20, get it on CSI. Not worth it without the Hero packs. Not worth it in my opinion until the co-op expansion.
>Won't kill you to buy, certainly not the worst deckbuilder.

I've played star realms literally hundreds of times but Hero Realms doesn't really stack up yet.
>>
>>52549744
Dominion is the worst deckbuilder.
>>
>>52535123
Never heard bout GameNight, but rahdo and SU&SD = pure whiny garbage. Shit tier, anon. Sad.
>>
>>52549759
Dominion with Seaside isn't. I'm sure I could find a worse one than Dominion, even with how hollow and boring it is.
>>
>>52549649
>>52549712
I just don't like the space theme as much, and since I don't plan on spending too much on expansions, unless SR has something that makes it distinctly better, I'd rather get HR.

>>52549744
>Reskinned SR
I like this theme more
>Hero Packs
I have no plan on purchasing HP right now, just getting into this type of games and would like to try out a deckbuilder.
>Lack of scrap
I don't really get this, I do play some HS so if you mean to say that you just gotta keep a ton of cycle cards since there is no "finisher" for a deck, I cant really understand this before I try the game out.
>Sacky
Didn't get it as well.
>co-op exp
Like the Hero Packs, I am only interested in the base game right now, if I like it and a co-op expansion comes along, well thats a good thing.
>20$
I live in Israel, so I'll probably end up paying 20GBP for it, which is not that bad actually seeing as everything is just way more expensive.
If I am lucky I'll look for it 2nd handed.

Why would you say HR doesn't stack up to SR? because of lack of expansions?
>>
>>52549843
Scrap is a mechanic in Star Realms where you can remove cards from your deck that are in your hand or graveyard. It's really important in finishing off your engine to win the game at a higher level of play.
>>
>>52545952
>Is it worth getting into the reprint hype train or should I just hard pass?
It's an RPG except without the moronic dice chucking mechanics that plague tabletop RPG's since the 1970's.

Most people aren't into RPG's.
>>
>>52549759
Dominion is the best deckbuilder.
>>
>>52549906
t. Rahdo
>>
File: card-discard.png (16KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
card-discard.png
16KB, 512x512px
>>52549843
>I like this theme more
Good. That comment was just a fact, not a negative.

>I have no plan on purchasing HP right now
If you're absolutely not going with SR, don't mind spending more on HR, and absolutely don't want to start with the heroes, then that's fine. Just be aware of the facts before you make a purchase.

>I don't really get this [Scrap]
Scrap is the mechanic in nearly all deckbuilders that removes cards from your deck to keep it small and keep you rotating through it at a normal pace. Since you draw (usually) 5 cards per turn and the opening deck is 10, then you go through your deck 1 turn slower when you have 1 new card. After 6 total new cards, it's 2 turns slower.

So games incorporate scrapping (permanent card removal, usually your weak starters) to thin the deck by a significant amount. If you have cards that scrap during every deck cycle, you can plot a curve of the deck consistency.

Hero Realms has almost 10% less scrap available to buy than Star Realms, many of which costs more than in SR. This means the only way to keep your deck cycles on track (and not straight up lose to an opponent who is employing this strategy, either because they know, they had the economy to buy it, they had the initiative to buy it, or whatever) is to have as much draw in your deck as you have bought, and to keep adding draw. Or to buy a ton of champions and keep them out as long as possible. Both of these are temporary fixes with a huge weakness but scrap is permanent and kind of ubiquitous in deckbuilders as the one mechanic that keeps gameplay smooth.

Having your decks slowly roll uphill in cards also has another unforseen consequence, besides the fact that your 10 terrible starter cards are still clogging your hand: bottomdecking. This is when a good card or card you need is in one of the last 1-4 cards of your deck. Not having a deck draw completely out at the end means that card misses an entire cycle, which can lose you the game.
>>
>>52545649
>fear of conflict in games is almost as annoying as him pretending to be his own fucking wife
Disgusting.
>>
I just spent a hundred bongs on Millennium Blades and Set Rotation

what have i got into

and how does it play with 3
>>
Sekigahara or War of the Ring boys?
>>
>>52549907
I don't know who the fuck 'Rahdo' is and I don't care to know.

Dominion is the only deckbuilder that doesn't boil down to "draw le most powerful card and win". You actually have to apply some strategic thinking in Dominion. (Granted it's not a very deep game, but something like Ascension has no depth at all, it's just mechanical brainless card chucking.)
>>
>>52549953
Both, they're quite different

Sekigahara is a couple of hours of pure planning and bluff, Ring is a massive epic.
>>
>>52549953
do you like lord of the rings and/or crazy heavy and involved games? war of the ring

do you like japanese history or historical games in general and/or do you want something not super involved? sekigahara

both are good. war of the ring has a huge following but if you don't want something complex or don't care about lord of the rings then sekigahara is a good game.
>>
>>52549953
You can't go wrong with either game.

Sekigahara, War of the Ring, and Twilight struggle are my top 3 moderately complex 1v1 games.
>>
>>52549953
War of the Ring is better in terms of pure fun and theme

Sekigahara is the better war game.

If you like Lotr, i'd get War of the Ring. It's lotr in a box.

In terms of the realities of board games, Sekigahara will be harder to find than Wotr in the future because it's a GMT game and it just got reprinted. So if you know you'll eventually get it, get it now.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 259x194px
are there any decent DB or DBZ board games? I was looking around and couldn't find much
>>
>>52550114
Design one
>>
I played Kingdom Death: Monster on tabletop simulator and it's painfully obvious that the game is only popular because of the edgy art, cool minis and Kickstarter. The gameplay is absolute garbage dogshit. It's dice combat but on top of that there's random draw to see where you hit the monster and on top of that there's random draw for the monster AI and on top of that there's dice to determine where you are hit and on top of that there's dice rolls to decide if you instantly die or get a randomly drawn condition. Jesus christ I'm mad.
>>
>>52550183
why mad? did you throw money at the KS?
>>
>>52550114

There's one coming soon. Campaign style game where you get go through the different DBZ saga and level up your Z fighters across multiple games.

Sounds cool, by the same design studio that just made the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game (which is getting pretty good reviews) and designed the game for the terminator kickstarter that ended not long ago.

Not sure what to expect. Sounds cool to me.
>>
>>52550183
Did you forget the nested random dice? You have to roll once to see if you "hit" and again to see if you can actually deal damage. Then you can talk about random hit location, random AI draw, retalation randomness, and special random 1/1000 chance bullshit events.

>If I throw enough randomness at the game, it will design itself as it's played!]

Prepare to get heavily shit on for lambasting KDM. There are fantards in this thread all the time that will argue to death that the game is perfect and you're wrong.
>>
>>52550183
what did you expect? did you know literally nothing about the game before you played? sounds like you played something you knew nothing about and ended up hating it, which is a fault of yours not the game
>>
>>52550269
any game that uses dice in excess to resolve things is lazy. dice are a largely useless mechanic.
>>
>>52549970
But that's fucking wrong anon, have you even played other (good) deckbuilders?
>>
>>52550269
Totally his fault for forming his opinion after playing the game, instead of before. Like some kind of causality crime.
>>
>>52550413
if he wanted to spend his time doing something enjoyable to him he could have done five minutes of research and found out that it was a dice fest. not hard to do, and if you enter into an activity without knowing a damn thing about then feel like you wasted your time how is that anyones fault but yours?
>>
>>52550296
i didn't say it wasn't lazy, i said it was a bad decision to play a game you know nothing about if you don't want to risk potentially wasting your time
>>
>>52550183
>didn't play the game enough to start getting the stuff that let's you stop the stuff that stuffs your stuff.
Iono mang it feels very swingy if you don't get your rawhide/circlet game going and/or don't know what to build/innovate to mitigate some of those effects.

It actually gets a bit predictable after a while without the xpacs tbqh famalamabananadrama.
>>
>>52550434
You should absolutely never dive headlong into adventure, seeking to have the same positive experiences you hear about from your peers, especially when there's zero risk other than a couple wasted hours.

Instead, you should treat trying a game for free like buying a used car: with extreme skepticism, heavy research, insurance paperwork, and no fun allowed. That way, if it seems even slightly negative, you've safely avoided a potential instance to be mildly unentertained.
>>
>>52550462
he can do it however he wants. but why bitch about it then? he knew the risk going into it. how many things do you actually do knowing literally nothing about it? theres a huge difference between doing paperwork or whatever fucking retarded example you want to give and reading one review about the game if you're interested in it. i don't think he's dumb for playing it blind, he's dumb for playing it blind and then bitching like a faggot because he didn't like it
>>
>>52550507
>You're allowed to risk forming a negative opinion but not allowed to share that opinion
Only positive opinions allowed here on /bgg/, guys! Might hurt the feelings of someone who thinks the game has no flaws.
>>
>>52550519
i haven't even played the game, but he contributed nothing the any real discussion. if i played race for the galaxy then bitched because there were no dice involved that is not the equivalent of sharing an opinion. its being an ill-informed consumer and people have nothing constructive to gain from me bitching to them about it
>>
>>52550533
Yep, sharing the facts of the battle system which might be relevant to other like-minded players contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion, you're 100% correct.

It STARTED a discussion. Which you have repeatedly tried to shitpost down because you didn't like the tone.
>>
>>52550404
>have you even played other (good) deckbuilders?
There's only like 4 deckbuilder games in existence, it's not a very large pool.
>>
File: dennwut.jpg (46KB, 470x626px) Image search: [Google]
dennwut.jpg
46KB, 470x626px
>>52550548
>choose to play a game built on random happenings
>bitch because you don't like random happenings
"discussion"
>>
>>52550533
>but he contributed nothing the any real discussion
Yes he did. KDM is hyped here (and everywhere else) like it's a serious game. Good to know it's actually just another moronic ameritrash """RPG""" experience. Saves me wasted time even reading about it.
>>
>>52550567
holy shit this is so blatantly false. dominion, star realms, hero realms, trains, ascension, dc deck builder, marvel deck builder, acres of snow, tyrants of the under dark, clank. that was all off the top of my head
>>
>>52550571
>Shitpost because someone has a different opinion than you
>Use reaction image to illicit a sense of social shame, instead of contributing to the discussion of KDM or its mechanics
"Rebuttal"
>>
>>52550587
the point is some people think the random shit is fun. if you don't like random shit don't play it. if you don't take the time to read anything at all about the game, why bitch about it? it wasn't your taste, and there is no one to blame for your bad experience but yourself because you played it having no idea what it would be like. this isn't hard to understand.
>>
>>52550582
Aeon's End, Valley of the Kings (3 versions), Star Realms Colony Wars, Xenoshyft, Lost Legends, Legendary Encounters (series), Pathfinder Adventure, Thunderstone (all versions), Eminent Domain, Core Worlds, Mystic Vale, Super Motherload, Quarriors, Puzzle Strike
>>
>>52550606
It sure is a stupid idea to play a game blind with the intent of having fun and then share how you didn't have fun, isn't it? Almost like some kind of "review". In which your experiences are shared with others and they can use your joys and pains to inform their financial decisions. But that's a silly concept because it might sometimes be negative, which isn't allowed.
>>
>>52550642
>negative isn't allowed
>posting this on 4chan
>most of the thread is negative
lulwut
>>
>>52549915
>>52549894
Thanks, all in all, would you recommend it as a first deckbuilder?

Because I saw what anon here >>52550579 said and some names do come of as familiar.
like Clank! and Tyrants.

I also remember hearing about Pixel tactics which sounds nice since its also cheap.

I am really looking for something like Hearthstone but not in the sense of spend hundreds of dollars for a deck or buy single packs, I am looking for a more wholesome experience where you buy the base game, get some packs & duel a person while retaining some sort of skill.
Preferably cheap since I dont want to spend 60$ on a game I don't even know if I'll like or not.
>>
>>52550672
Then you want something other than hero realms. It's a deck builder in the style of a dueling card game, not a dueling card game. Pixel tactics is alright if a little clunky. Look into Epic which is by the same guys as hero realms
>>
>>52550693
Yea but the deckbuilder is the best part of a card game.

Finding the cool interactions and pulling combos is the fun.

I think I might just order them both, since Pixel Tactics one costs <10$
>>
>>52550754
No you are thinking of customising.

Deck builder is a genre where you build a deck AS you play, you dont really have the room to build any janky combos because you'll just get shat on.

You also cant do customising in pixel tactics without buying at least pixel tactics+ a standalone expansion.

Epic can do draft, sealed or constructed out of the box for 2-4 players and is cheap as fuck. Seriously look into it
>>
>>52550764
>Epic
Checking it out as we speak.
>>
>>52550582
>>52550624
Most of these aren't deckbuilders, they're boardgames with a bit of deckbuilder mechanics thrown into the mix.
>>
>>52550672
>Thanks, all in all, would you recommend it as a first deckbuilder?
Absolutely not. I always recommend Star Realms Colony Wars.

>Easy to teach
>More spectacular plays
>Plenty of learning room
>Heaviness grows as you grow

After SR:CW, you can graduate to anything else. It differs from SR by having more spectacular plays and is therefore more interesting than the dry affair of SR's perfect-play. However, it has a skill ceiling that's much lower since the same thing that makes it a badass opener also makes it fall flat for ultra hardcore deckbuilder veterans.
>>
>>52550798
Deckbuilder isn't a genre, anon, it's a mechanic. Otherwise you're tacitly implying that area control games with deckbuilding is not an "area control game" just a board game with area control and deckbuilder mechanics.
>>
>>52550826
>Deckbuilder isn't a genre, anon
Yes it is. Dominion, Ascension and Star Realms are examples.

Like I said, there aren't many deckbuilder games and Dominion ends up being the best pretty much by default.
>>
>>52550881
>Dominion ends up being the best pretty much by default
Does it hurt, being so wrong?
>>
Chess is not even a game.
>>
>>52550764
>No you are thinking of customising.
The generally accepted term to differentiate it from deckbuilders is constructed card game.

>>52550826
Deckbuilders commonly refer to *card games* that use deckbuilding as their main mechanic. They are not usually used to refer to games like in your example (A Few Acres of Snow fits, though I vaguely remember that game as being categorized under a different genre), though certain games like Trains still get the deckbuilder title despite having area control and a proper game board.
>>
>>52550908
>A Few Acres of Snow fits, though I vaguely remember that game as being categorized under a different genre
Nevermind, the BGG summary calls it a deckbuilding game in the first sentence. Labels are annoying.
>>
>>52550894
Whew lad, you really convinced me with your stellar use of logical arguments.

>>52550908
>Deckbuilders commonly refer to *card games* that use deckbuilding as their main mechanic.
This. If you have a game board, dudes on a map, meeples, resources or anything except cards then it's not a deckbuilder.

>>52550899
>Chess is not even a game.
It is. It's mostly a memory game, though, not a popular genre in 2017.
>>
>>52550923
>>52550908
Speaking of A Few Acres of Snow, is it any good?

It looks interesting.
>>
>>52550899
>Has a win condition
>Has decision making
>Not a game
>>
>>52550975
>Chess
>Has decision making
Go rope yourself, libtard.
>>
>>52551056
1/10 bait.
>>
>>52550567
>check bgg
>nearly 2000 games with deck building mechanics.

I doubt all but 4 of them are expansion packs or hybrid games anon, try to broaden your horizons a bit.
>>
>>52550579
>KDM is hyped here (and everywhere else) like it's a serious game. Good to know it's actually just another moronic ameritrash """RPG""" experience. Saves me wasted time even reading about it.

Full disclosure: I have never played KDM, (likely never will), have never bought any of it's mini's or backed it on Kickstarter.

It's an RPG, which uses dice, like many other RPGs. Just because it has a mechanic you don't like (dice) doesn't mean it isn't a "serious game". No True Scottsman is a hell of a thing.

You don't have to like the game. You are allowed to hate it as much as you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking your opinions are anything more then opinions.

>>52550899
Trolling isn't even a game.

>>52550957
Halifax Hammer/10
>>
>>52550957
>Speaking of A Few Acres of Snow, is it any good?

It is a solid game. However be warned, there is one strategy for one of the two sides that is virtually unbeatable. If you and your follow players don't go and look it up you can have a lot of good games.
>>
>>52551509
Try learning to read, fucknuts. We already discussed this.

>>52551532
>It's an RPG, which uses dice, like many other RPGs.
Thing is that they don't say this in any of their promotional material and advertising. Very misleading unless you take the time to dig deep and watch youtube playthroughs or whatever.
>>
>>52551647
>Buy a 200$ game without digging deep or watching gameplay
Honestly, if anyone is THAT dumb they deserve this.
>>
>>52551659
Anon above made a good point that saved me the bother of digging deep and watching gameplay. Why are you so salty? Because somebody insulted your waifu? Neck yourself.
>>
>>52551647
>Thing is that they don't say this in any of their promotional material and advertising.
Nope. Admittedly the limited run resin tittys were way more prominent but that's to be expected.

>>52551682
>Because somebody insulted your waifu? Neck yourself.
KDM is not my waifu. I don't give a flying fuck if you like KDM or not. Just don't be so obscenely pretentious as to claim it isn't a "serious game".
>>
>>52551784
> Comes with bare-tittied minis, softporn posters and a bagful of dice
> Wants to be a "serious game".
LMAO. Are you 14?
>>
>>52551825
hi, nice to see SUSD here

sorry aesthetics trigger you
>>
>>52551825
you've made a wrong turn if you're looking for tumblr, dipshit
>>
>>52551825
>LMAO. Are you 14?
Are you one of those people who only play mature games for mature gamers such as yourself?

>>52551863
Still some of the better video reviews out there. They actually take the time to edit instead of just standing in front of a camera and stammering incoherently. Fuck the virtue signalling though.
>>
>>52551931
>Are you one of those people who only play mature games for mature gamers such as yourself?
Yes.

>>52551884
>>52551863
> you insulted my waifu game, I'm triggered as fuck, have a random unrelated insult
>>
Since dice trigger people here let's talk about some fun games with dice.

I like how Castles of Burgundy's dice mechanics still give you a lot of freedom of choice while still limiting a lot of AP for potential new players.
>>
>>52552352
Dice don't trigger people, games without meaningful decisions trigger people.
>>
is Food Chain Magnate as good as people say?
>>
>>52552394
It's overpraised on plebbit so probably not.
>>
>>52550183
>mad
Why? You're a gamer, you dislike the combat system and you're right, combat and tactics are wonky at best.
I'm a modeler, and a roleplayer and I like the nightmare horror theme. It's not just the mechanics for me.
So you're mad because people like something enough to support it?
>>
>>52550253
>There are fantards in this thread all the time that will argue to death that the game is perfect and you're wrong.
I am a fan, but I won't argue that the game is perfect. It's not. You're not wrong for disliking it either, and I don't give a shit if people think I'm a retard for liking it.
Just building and painting the minis is gonna give me more mileage than a lot of the other games I own.
>>
>>52552433
>It's overpraised on plebbit so probably not.
We did it folks. We found the single most archetypal /bgg/ post imaginable.

"Other people like it so it must be shit."

Not much else to see here beyond that.
>>
>>52553084
Plebbit isn't just some "other people", you dork.
>>
>>52551659
The topic is actually about the TTS mod. Which is free.
>>
>>52552378
Or when the randomness of the game outweighs meaningful decisions. Happens a lot at high level star realms competition.
>>
>>52501493
If we include card games, exploding kittens is her favorite
>>
>>52553158
Yeah they're like dummy dumbhead other people. Anything they like a lot would be dumb like them instead of inconclusive. Dummies never like anything good.
>>
>>52553203
fucking sever
>>
>>52553238
???
>>
>>52545952
Did you grow up playing jRPGs?

Do you need something to fill that void in your life now that the genre is essentially dead on consoles?

Then get Gloomhaven
>>
Is Mice and Mystics any good? It looks interesting, and I was thinking of getting it.
>>
>>52553209
Yes, you're pretty much spot on.
>>
>>52553398
No, it is "oh look at the nice minis NOW ROLL THEM DICE FUCKER ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL" the game.
>>
>>52553469
>No, it is "oh look at the nice minis NOW ROLL THEM DICE FUCKER ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL" the game.
The Mice and Mystics minis look like dogshit. They're on par with the weakest stuff in FFGs lineups.

Not that you would ever know that; you're too busy denigrating others to even bother to look at the shit you're talking about.
>>
Santorini has already been swept under the rug

Boy did I get bamboozled by this one.

Where/how do anons sell games?
>>
>>52550404
Not him but what's a good one then?
>>
>>52553497
Actually I own both Mice and Mystics and various Descent 2 stuff so oh ho ho, you know what you get to do now, don't you buddy.
>>
>>52553563
>I got caught lying so let's make shit up!
>>
>>52553573
Ah ok, you're just a fuckwit, good to know.
>>
>>52553398
It's Babby's First RPG

If you have children or brothers aged 7-10 that you are trying to introduce to board games then sure go for it.
>>
>>52550533
Please shut the fuck up about who contributes and who doesn't to the thread. This shit ain't Moby Dick, fuck face. It's a thread that will eventually die and not every word that comes out of your pie hole is some sacrosanct jewel of wisdom we should all heed so sit down and shut the fuck up already!!!
>>
>>52540887
>>52546633
Cheers lads. hope to have both base sets, 1ed and 2ed completely finished by the end of the month.
>>
>>52553545
Bgg, Amazon, or eBay?
>>
>>52552079
>waifu game
Lmao, you're that mad 40k sperg who cries about everything too aren't you.

I like that you're now copying insults because you're to mentally bankrupt to come up with your own material.

Kudos.
>>
File: pic2311091_md[1].jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic2311091_md[1].jpg
87KB, 500x375px
Hi guys, I've got the funds for a cheap game and I'm torn between Fleets: The Pleiad Conflict and Forbidden Desert.

Has anyone got any experience with the former? By all accounts Forbidden Desert is a good game but I'd like something with a more serious tone and some more depth to it.
>>
>>52518012
>bad wrong
>not "badong"
>>
>>52557457
If you're 12 years old and fixated on memes, /b/ is that way ----->.
>>
>>52557441
I have to ask, how expensive is 'Fleets'? It looks a good bit more involved than Forbidden Desert (not to mention that it also looks to be competitive rather than co-op.)
>>
>>52557131
>Lmao, you're that mad 40k sperg who cries about everything too aren't you.
No, I am not. There's more than one person in the world who's creeped out by 4chan sexual dysfunction.
>>
>>52552394
Disregard the faggot that responded first.

Yes, it's really good. It's expensive, and some people don't like the art and components but the gameplay is very fun. The rules are easy to learn, and once you do it opens up all kinds of possibilities. It gets cutthroat pretty fast as other players figure out ways to screw each other, but I really like games like that.
>>
>>52553265
I think anon is stating that you should break up with your girfriend because she likes Exploding Kittens.

I'm gonna have to agree with anon. Break up with her and never look back.
>>
>>52554162
I've dubbed this dude 'contribution anon'. He pulls the same shit in every thread and usually follows it up with a bunch of questions to try to change the subject.

I appreciate what you're trying to do contribution anon, but it comes off as forced and ungenuine.
>>
>>52558347
>creeped out by 4chan
>actively browses and posts on 4chan
so there really are people out there who just come here to find stuff to post on tumblr
>>
>>52558661
>le tumblr
Wow, dude, careful with those very edgy 2014 memes.
>>
>>52558642
did you really miss the part of his post where he literally told that guy to "sit down and shut up"

you just got trolled hard, bro
>>
>>52558692
>calling people edgy after claiming you can't handle the website you're posting on but you just keep posting and pushing peoples buttons even though you say you don't like the nasty responses yet you continue generating them
>implying you're not throwing out bait to show your safe space
sure thing, anita
>>
>>52558736
I've never in my life been to tumblr and have no desire to go there in the future. Neck yourself and stop stealing my oxygen.
>>
>>52558904
>continuing to say inflammatory things despite claiming you disliked the unfriendly atmosphere here
>keeps bringing up tumblr despite the fact that you allegedly have no interest in it
you're a winner anon
>>
>>52557748
It's going for something like £15 on eBay, so pretty cheap.
>>
I'm designing a boardgame
Will /tg/ play it and give me money when it's done :3c?
>>
>>52501493
Pretty good. It's always fun to game with strangers because 1) you get to try out new games 2) on average, the people you meet are pretty nice. You get the occasional obnoxious alphabeard, but that's rarer these days.

Tokaido. She can't get enough of it. And she keeps kicking my ass at it.
>>
>>52557441
>>52559857
That's not a bad price for Fleets from the looks of it. You know your group best - are they going to get more enjoyment from a cooperative game like Forbidden Desert or a head to head competitive game like Fleets? (And if you are interested in fleets, you might check out 'Core Worlds' as well.)
>>
>>52560004
nope
>>
>>52560004
I'll playtest it
>>
We've only played three together but she really likes ticket to ride and its her first go to. She did like blokus with the family though.
>>
>>52512438
Hows she like BattleCon? My Fiance didnt like it at first but after a few rounds with the same character she warmed up to it,
>>
>>52537823
Just got this game Im looking forward to trying it out
>>
>>52545451
How is EXCEED I just got it
>>
>>52558502
Cool, sounds good. I was thinking of getting it as my first heavy euro. Only other euro I have is caverna because, while i don't mind engine building, I really like interaction and hate the solitaire nature of most euros.

This sounds like it fits the bill.
>>
>>52558707
>trolled hard
>on 4chan

Well it had to happen eventually
>>
>>52560004
Depends. Are there minis?
>>
>>52560594

She's at about the same level as your fiancé then, except mine enjoyed it from the get-go, but she definitely likes to stick with one character for longer than I do.
>>
>>52560800
>Reply to someone who says in that post they haven't played X
>Ask how X is
I mean I don't know either, but what?
The BattleCON crowd seem to think it's not quite as good though. But there's way less expansions out so far so it's also probably easier to get into.
>>
Wow 300 posts in the general maybe there's some good discussion going onohhh nope it's a fucking dumpster fire
>>
>>52562104
>Mods delete my post calling you a faggot but leave all the other faggotry.
>>52558736
>>52558904
>>52558968
>>52558707
>>52558692
>>52558661
>>52558347
>>52558502
>>52557508
Lmao what in the fuck is up with the moderation these days.
>>
File: IMG_5710.jpg (728KB, 1200x902px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5710.jpg
728KB, 1200x902px
>>52562977
>he gets his posts deleted on a Malaysian basket weaving message board
>>
>>52563270
Nah, what's weird is these NipMods banned me for posting a camwhore pic when there's literally a thread full of them on the same board. With the same pic posted nonetheless.

>(((Hiroshima Nagasaki))) in charge of moderation.
>>
new thread's up
>>52563379
>>52563379
>>
>>52553547
See
>>52550624
>>
>>52523962
Is that krosmaster arena bottom left?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.