[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/GURPSGEN/ We Live, We Die, We Live Again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 45

File: 1484608413360.pdf (337KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1484608413360.pdf
337KB, 1x1px
Gotta keep us faggots contained

Old Thread >>52342225

How often do you guys do a note card for an enemy, but then kinda wish you did a full write up because it's a pretty awesome concept?
>>
B298 lists Pitiable as a social trait. Is this an error? If Appearance is a physical trait, I don't see why Pitiable wouldn't be as well.
>>
How do you guys handle powers with narative effects? Like say I have the power to lift and wield as a weapon anything no larger than 'X' size categories above my own regardless of its weight but does not otherwise grant me inhuman levels of strength.
>>
>>52439488
There was perk in power ups that gives you extra SM and ST only for this purpose.
>regardless of its weight
This could easily lead to nonsensical results. Is it silly campaign?
>>
>>52439676
Was trying to convert a character from NWoD. The power in question is fairly ridiculous even in context. The character in question could lift a 747 and beat someone with it.
>>
>>52438599
>B298 lists Pitiable as a social trait. Is this an error? If Appearance is a physical trait, I don't see why Pitiable wouldn't be as well.

Because you can be pitiable for different reasons. You're poor? Your Looks?

Social effect, not an interpersonal effect

>>52439488
I find it funny that as >>52439676 says, GURPS already did that

A quick and dirty fix for no limit advantages is giving them a spell at the proper levels and fiating away magery requirement and other stuff. In your case, Dancing Object and Dancing Weapon
>>
Anyone familiar with WH40k GURPS conversions? How is this Necron template of mine?

Necron [700]
Advantages/Disadvantages: ST +4 [40], HT +4 [40], Absolute Timing [5], Accessories (IFF transponder, Compact Microframe Computer) [2], Acute Hearing 6 [12], Appearance (Monstrous) [-20], Combat Reflexes [15], Damage Resistant 50 (Can’t wear armor, -40%) [150], Digital Mind [5], Doesn’t Breathe [20], Doesn’t Eat or Drink [10], Doesn’t Sleep [20], Electrical [-20], Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Improved G-Tolerance (5G) [20], Infravision [10], Injury Tolerance (No Blood, Unliving) [25], Intuitive Mathematician [5], Nictitating Membrane 5 [5], Numb [-20], Photographic Memory [10], Pressure Support 3 [15], Protected Senses (Hearing and Vision) [10], Radiation Tolerance 100 [30], Regeneration (Fast) [50], Regrowth [40], Reprogrammable [-10], Resistant to Electrical Pulses and Surges (+8) [2], Sealed [15], Telecommunication (Radio; Secure, +20%; Video, +40%) [16], Temperature Tolerance 100 [100], Unaging [15], Unkillable 3 (Resurrection Chamber, -60%) [60], Vacuum Support [5], and Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25]. Counts as a Machine for the purpose of the Machine Meta-Trait.
Skills: Beam Weapons (Rifle) (E) DX+2 [4], Fast-Draw (Long Arm) (E) DX+1 [1], Two-Handed Axe/Mace (A) DX+2 [8].

The necron warriors would have the automaton meta-trait. I'm also thinking that necrons from damaged tomb worlds would have lower HT.

As for the conversion in general, I'm just piecing together other peoples conversions (Olaf, Perfect Organism, etc) and adapting existing sourcebooks where I can (Powers, Magic, Thaumatology, Space, Spaceships, Horror, Monster Hunters, After the End, etc). Hell, even Dungeon Fantasy is useful for the critters it has.
>>
>>52429095

Could you give an example build?
>>
>>52440239
Drop Combat Reflexes. Necrons react and move slowly, and don't doge.

You can also drop Digital Mind, Photographic Memory, Reprogammable, Intuitive Mathematician, IFF, Microframe and give them Fragile (Unnateral) to reflect that they Phase Out if damaged to negative HP.

They are not robots, they are souls in machine shells. Closer to the car in a Steven King novel then a terminator.

Radiation Tolerance is pretty much worthless with ItMH, as you can't get radiation poisoning.
>>
>>52440503
Not him, but "old school demigod" has some standard traits you're probably going to include like
-Super Strength; you should have high attributes all around, but go balls deep on ST and buy levels of Super ST too.
-One or two disadvantages at (9) or even (6) for that "larger than life" feel and "gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth" and all that.
-A small number of gimmicks linked to your personal legend. Are your words so honeyed you can enchant people or even trees and rivers? Can your loom turn wool into a sheet soft as silk but protective as bronze? Does your talent at stealth let you hide from Death? Can you shoot an arrow across the kingdom? Are you the son of Mother Wind, borne aloft by your parent's guiding hand? Does your one good eye see things no one else can?
>>
Are there rules somewhere on using addictive substances and well, the possibility of the PC getting addicted? Like say, to health/fatigue potions.
>>
>>52444670
There are rules in the basic set for addictive substances. I'll look them up later. The addicted disadvantage is pretty painful. It's cost is based on how illegal, debilitating and expensive your addiction is.
>>
Looking for books on stuff for stone age until bronze age, should I just take Low Tech or does gurps have other books on it?
>>
>>52445780
Low Tech is your main thing, plus the Low Tech Companions. There is also a Pyramid issue dedicated to Prehistory that might be useful depending on how early we're talking.
>>
>>52445853
Basically from before the use of fire to, let´s say around Sumer and the use of bronze. Thanks anon.
>>
>>52445780
GURPS Ice Age for the 3rd Edition.
>>
Whiplash
Spell Effects: Create Chain.
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect + Damage, Indirect Cutting.
Skill Penalty: Path of Chains‑7.
Casting Time: 5 minutes.
This spell conjures a dozen of spiked chains that is lash up to 12 targets within ten yards in front of caster. Caster can assign 1d of per possible target, but maximum 6d.
Typical Casting: Create Chains (6) + Area of Effect, 5 yards (50) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Damage, 12d Indirect Cutting (18).
78 SP.

Shredding chains
Spell Effects: Create Chain.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Indirect Cutting (Cone; Reduced Max).
Skill Penalty: Path of Chains‑5.
Casting Time: 5 minutes.
This spell conjures a dozen of spiked chains that is violently lashing at everything within ten yards long and ten yards wide cone in front of caster.
Typical Casting: Create Chains (6) + Damage, 12d Indirect Cutting (Cone 10, +150%; Reduced Max *10, -15%) (45).
51 SP.

Are these rituals correct?
>area effect freakin' op
>>
>>52448741
I'm not sure about Whiplash; I think you may be paying too much for it as 12d injury in an area normally means everyone in the area suffers 12d, not that 12d is split up amongst them. At the same time, though, I don't really know how I'd model that anyway.

Shredding Chains looks okay; PKitty has okay'd using Damage Enhancements to add Cone rather than using Area of Effect.
>>
Which disadvantage would I add to a character that is brutally honest or blunt to the point of rudeness? Should I just wrap it up in an Odious Personal Habit? Maybe for -2?
>>
>>52449613
Sounds like truthfulness and oblivious to me. Probably an OPH worth -5 to -10 if you don't want oblivious.
>>
Trying to stat someone who can stop time for a single second - does this work?

>Altered Time Rate 1 (Takes Recharge, 5 seconds, -10%) [90]

Here's how I've been looking at it: Altered Time Rate gives extra moves on your turn equal to your level of ATR. This is usually represented as being twice as fast at ATR 1. However, it could also mean you stop time for 1 second, then move at normal speed for 1 second, then stop time for 1 second again, etc. The difference in-game amounts to a special effect: Either way, you experience 2 subjective seconds per 1 objective second. So this ability stops time for 1 second, but uses the -10% version of Takes Recharge, meaning you have to wait 5 seconds before you can stop time again instead of just 1 second.
>>
>>52451575
You're on the right track; lots of levels of ATR is one of the standard ways people represent stopping time (check out the section on Absolutes in GURPS: Powers). However, note that people can still react during your ATR turn! It's hard to argue that you have stopped time if people can still make active defenses, have their Wait actions triggered, etc.

Regardless, if you feel happy with a single level of ATR representing time stop, all power to you. It's a hell of a lot easier that trying to give ZA WARUDO a fair point value beyond the point eater that is Bullet Time.
>>
>>52451575
I think you can put a maximum duration on that too if it is only one second. You can probably put
Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35%
On it too.
>>
>>52451575
>Trying to stat someone who can stop time for a single second - does this work?
Impulse Point 3 (Bullet Time Only, -20%) [12] + Increased Refresh 2 [20] = [35].
You get one second of Bullet Time every session. See Gun Fu, Martial Arts, or Power-Ups Impulse Buys for Bullet Time rules.
>>
>>52442442
>Drop Combat Reflexes. Necrons react and move slowly, and don't doge.
Do necrons really react so slowly? I mean most have no thoughts or distractions. If they see a target they go for it without hesitation.

>You can also drop Digital Mind, Photographic Memory, Reprogammable, Intuitive Mathematician, IFF, Microframe and give them Fragile (Unnateral) to reflect that they Phase Out if damaged to negative HP.

Isn't Fragile kind of the opposite of Injury Tolerance?

>They are not robots, they are souls in machine shells. Closer to the car in a Steven King novel then a terminator.

Actually I'm pretty sure they ARE robots. Their souls were eaten by the C'tan but their minds were transferred to shells. The quality of their bodies determined how much of that mind survived the transfer (the peasants were reduced to husks, the soldiers were mentally impaired). Only the scientists and nobility retained their intelligence.

>Radiation Tolerance is pretty much worthless with ItMH, as you can't get radiation poisoning.

The thing is I based a lot of this off of the idea that Necrons were made of Living Metal as per Ultratech. They're incredibly resilient with a body that can survive almost everything the universe can throw at them. And if that's not enough, if they fall they can be perfectly rebuilt so long as their tomb world is functioning.
>>
>>52452346
The new Pyramid issue amps that up. For 720 points, you can get 3 IP every five minutes of play. That's outside the budget of most PCs, but it is suitable for a major threat, super, or demigod.

Now all I need is a way to link IP Refresh with Leech/DR (Absorption).
>>
>>52440239

Here's what I have for the Tau. I haven't added any skills yet (I'm kind of weary about including skills in any racial template).

Tau Template [-15]
ST -1 [10], HT +1 [10], Per -1 [5], Acute Vision 2 [4], Broadminded [-1], Congenial [-1], Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3], Fanaticism (Greater Good) [-15], Filter Lungs [5], Humble [-1], Night Vision 3 [3], Resistant to Disease +3 [2], Short Lifespan [-5], Susceptible to Pheromones [-4], Temperature Tolerance 5 [5], and Unusual Biochemistry [-5]

Fire Caste [60]
ST +1 [10], DX+1 [20], Attentive [-1], Combat Reflexes [15], Fearlessness 1 [2], Fit [5], High Pain Threshold [10], and Staid [-1].

Earth Caste [49]
IQ +1 [20], Imaginative [-1], Intuitive Mathematician [5], Mathematical Ability 2 [20], and Versatile [5].

Water Caste [40]
IQ+1 [20], Language Talent [10], Photographic Memory [10], Voice [10], and Xenophilius [-10].

Air Caste [48]
ST -1 [10], DX +2 [40], Per +1 [5], 3D Spatial Sense [10], No Degeneration in Zero-G [1], and Resistant to Acceleration +8 [2].

Ethereal [80]
Remove Susceptible to Pheromones [4] and Short Lifespan [5]. IQ +2 [40], Will +1 [5], Common Sense [10], Dominance Pheromones [15], Longevity [2], Penetrating Voice [1], Resistant to Disease +8 [3].
>>
What are some good and/or interesting advantages and disadvantages to pick for absolutely generic, stereotypical TL4 samurai? Aside obviously Combat Reflexes, Fit and Duty (or probably even Code of Honor). It's for 200 points game, so it's not like points are an issue here.

I'm simply bored to tears with always making combatants with combo of Combat Reflexes and Fit and nothing else.
>>
>>52440503
Original anon and let's see:
ST: 15
DX: 13
IQ: 11
HP: 14/15
170-180 total. You are playing as a demigod, so the point limit is probably 400. If it's 300, then cut down a notch IQ and HP.

Obviously you want to pick your god parent as a Patron. I would build the character around being spear warrior, since, duh, Bronze Age. But blunt, gigantic maces are also fun. With such ST you will be able to just plow through enemies. Remember to get Very Fit and maybe even Gigantism, along with ST modifiers useful for throwing (if you are spear user). Pick some lore skills related with the fact you are a seasoned adventurer demigod in fantasy Bronze Age. High Pain Threshold also works good.

Focus mostly on stats and advantages thou. And remember about picking some serious disadvantages, you demigod proud warrior with barely any morals than boasting you.
>>
>>52454096
Social Regard (Feared). Born Warleader. Weapon Master (One of Katana, Yari, or Yumi).
>>
>>52454210
Also, make sure your weapon of choice is your Singature Gear
>>
>>52454096
Fearlessness, combat perks, social advantages (wealth, status, patron, etc). People forget this but most warriors throughout history were courtiers first and fighters second. They either looked after the land their liege lord gave them (administration and law skills) or were the companions of the liege lord (party and hunting skills). Also many noble warriors would be expected to teach their skills to the younger generation (teaching 12 pretty much required). Then, of course, many warriors were rogues as well, especially during times of anarchy and warfare (build them like thugs with plenty of intimidation and scrounging for looting).
>>
>>52454096

Samurai skills?

>Painting, Poetry or Writing.
>Musket, Cannon, Armorer (Small Arms, TL 4)
>Intimidation

For advantages..

High Pain Threshold would be huge, as Stoicism was a very important virtue. Enhanced Parry and Weapon Master (Katina) would be suitable for someone going to rock the whole stereotype, while a GM would likely let you get away with Weapon Master (Daishō), Ambidexterity and Extra Attack if you wanted to go that way.
>>
File: 1472927942932.png (36KB, 516x488px) Image search: [Google]
1472927942932.png
36KB, 516x488px
>>52454536
>>52454096
>>
>>52455676
Some sort of fetish warrior?
>>
I basically decided to stat up a Lich Dragon to use as a boss battle in a game. Though I haven't decided if it's a Lich or cursed.

The Twist: It's an eastern dragon.

It's Bone and hide and horn and claw. It's insides are a poisonous gas that mostly stays confined inside it's 'body' but flows out of the rents in it's hide.

It's also highly flamable.

So how do I figure out the burning damage for that, both on the dragon and on the players that would get caught up in it.

It's SM8, 50 hexes long, 4 wide and 4 tall, mostly.
>>
>>52437836
What is the best GURPS setting to play games in? And why is it Reign of Steel?
>>
>>52457568
I really enjoy Infinite Worlds. Nobody expected Reich-5 on Westeros.
>>
Any way to make an affliction not have a resist roll, as I can think of tons of abilities in fiction that people just use and there's no resisting it? Does cosmic work for these purposes, from what I read in the book it doesn't seem like it?
>>
>>52457671
>Any way to make an affliction not have a resist roll
No.

>Does cosmic work for these purposes
Cosmic can remove the Rule of 16 (Power-Ups Enhancements), but they will still succeed on a 3 or a 4.
>>
Okay gurpsgen, one of my players is making a disco based super with sound powers and I need some suggestion for how to stat up his power. His main power is to change sound in an aura around him being able to do stuff like turn all sound around him into disco music rendering stuff like speech useless, or just straight silencing the area.
>>
>>52457671
Increase the penalty until they're rolling against 2 or less. A HT-18 Affliction works on anyone with HT 20 or less without letting them roll to resist.

It's explicitly forbidden to make an Affliction that always works on any possible character, but you can make one that always works on any character in your campaign by making it hard enough to resist.
>>
>>52458396
Does that make it impossible or would they still resist on a crit success?
>>
>>52458428
Resisting is impossible.

>>52458364
Obscure (Hearing) and a quirk-level Trademark. Add Illusions (Auditory Only) and link them together if he can create useful fake sounds.
>>
>>52458550
Completely forgot about Obscure, that simplifies things and just looked up Illusions in Powers, that'll work well.
>>
>>52458550
Wrong. Resistance and active defense rolls always succeed on a 3 or 4.
>>
>>52458396
Power-Ups Enhancements, pg. 7:
The subject may always try to resist, even if his effective resistance is
less than 3 (due to penalties from high levels of Affliction, previous
attacks, etc.). In such a case, only a roll of 3-4 succeeds; treat
this as success by 0, not as automatic resistance! If your mar-
gin of success is 1 or better, you still overcome his resistance.
>>
>>52458804
It's covered in the GURPS FAQ as well:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.1.3

>When I roll against a target number less than 3, when do a result of 3 or 4 still succeed?

>Defense rolls may always be attempted, and a 3 or 4 is still a Critical Success. Same thing for Resistance rolls to magic or poison, most forced IQ and HT rolls, and any other resistance roll against a force directly targeting a living or sapient being.

>Other rolls (such as skill rolls or physical feats) are impossible if the target number is below 3. However, the dice may still be rolled if the character does not realize the attempt is futile, and if you're rolling vs. a -7 or worse, even a roll of 3 will be a Critical Failure.
>>
>>52458797
>>52458804
>>52458982
Since that's a pretty low chance you can come up with an interesting narrative reason why someone resisted a supposedly "irresistable" power: "Through sheer force of will you overcome the bad guys unbeatable technique." "In your time of dire need your ancestors spirits protect you from the power." or something as simple as the power is flubbed due to a momentary lapse in thought.
>>
I've never ran GURPS with guns before and my group wants me to run a modern game next.

Now, I recall reading that guns in GURPS were really lethal, but I also seem to recall that there was a Pyramid article or something that had a way to do less lethal guns, but I can't find it now.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>52460184
Survivable Guns, alt gurps 2
>>
>>52460224
Yeah that was it. Thanks.
>>
>>52457568
>>52457601
You both misspelled Alpha Centauri.
>>
I revised the Tau templates. I made them more like the Helot and Guardian templates from Biotech (with some cross-pollination with the Drylander template to represent them coming from an arid world). Most of the Tau castes come out to around 50 pts but the Ethereals are a couple hundred pts. This leads me to the conclusion that an individual Tau is superior to his human counterpart in his or her area of expertise but is unable to adapt very easily due to their hyper specialization. That kind of makes sense to me given the fluff.

Anyway here is my Kroot template. I'm unsure of how to model several of the Kroots abilities. The first is their pheromone communication. Unlike the Tau, their method of communication is basically like an animal spraying a tree. The second ability is their generational adaptability. Basically, Kroot store genetic information from the things they eat which is then imparted on the next generation of Kroot. I'm not sure these abilities are actually worth any points but I'd love a second opinion. Here's the first draft of the template.

Kroot [150]
DX +3 [60], HT +1 [10], Per +2 [10], Speed +1 [20], Acute Taste and Smell 4 [8], Animal Empathy [5], Bloodlust [-10], Code of Honor (Kroot) [-10], Combat Reflexes [15], Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3], Discriminatory Smell [15], Discriminatory Taste [10], Hidebound [-5], Incurious [-5], Infravision [10], Language Talent [10], Lifting ST +3 [9], Low Empathy [-20], Odious Personal Habits (eats sentient beings in full view of others) [-15], Reduced Consumption 4 (Cast-Iron Stomach, -50%) [4], Resistant to Disease +8 [5], Resistant to Ingested Poison +8 [5], Sharp Beak [1], Sharp Claws [5], Skinny [-5], Striking ST +3 [15], and Super Jump 1 [10].
Note: many kroot are talented trackers and/or outdoorsman (Outdoorsman and Stalker talents, see Power Ups Talents).
>>
>>52455676
>>52455879
>YOOOOO
>>
>>52457601
How did that even go?
>>
>>52451681
My GM brought up the same points. He said if I wanted to be able to actually stop time like I described, preventing others from being able to perceive or react to my character while time is stopped, then the advantage should have a +50% Cosmic enhancement.
>>
>>52460755

Here's an Ork template. Holy hell are these guys expensive to stat in GURPS. Then again, any organism which can survive be chopping into bits, set on fire, and launched into space is going to be expensive...

Ork [200]
ST +2 [40], IQ -1 [20], HT +2 [20], Will +1 [5], Per +1 [5], Appearance (Monstrous) [-20], Arm ST+3 (Both Arms) [15], Bloodlust [-10], Bully [-10], Callous [-5], Combat Reflexes [15], Damage Resistance 2 (Thick Skin, -40%) [6], Daredevil [15], Doesn’t Breathe (Oxygen Storage, 100 times, -30%) [14], Fangs [2], Fearlessness 1 [2], Filter Lungs [5], Fit [5], Gregarious [-10], Hard to Subdue 2 [4], High Pain Threshold [10], Improved G-Tolerance (1G) [15], Impulsiveness [-10], Nictitating Membrane 1 [1], Night Vision 3 [3], No Degeneration in Zero-G [1], On the Edge [-15], Overconfidence [-5], Penetrating Voice [1], Pressure Tolerant Lungs (Dense and Thin) [2], Radiation Tolerance 5 [10], Recovery [10], Regeneration (Slow; Radiation) [14], Regrowth (Reattachment Only, -50%) [20], Resistant to Metabolic Hazards +8 [15], Temperature Tolerance 5 [5], Unaging [15], Unkillable 1 [50], Universal Digestion [5], and Unusual Biochemistry [-5]
Skills: Axe/Mace (A) DX+1 [4], Guns (Pistol) (E) DX +1 [2].
>>
>>52461465
>Removing others' ability to react or make active defenses
>+50%
Bruh that's a very generous GM you have there.
>>
>>52461703
Combat reflexes on an ork? They are surprised all the time, often by explosions they set off, and with Initiative 2 nobody could ever accuse them of being fast.

You've got a lot of advantages that might be better rolled into Immune to Metabolic Hazards. They don't get sick. Fearless also doesn't feel like it fits for their crap leadership, unless you put a limitation on it and bump up the level. Fearless 5 (Only in groups of Orks)?

Unusual Biochemistry doesn't fit here. Ork medicine works on them without penalty. The fact that they are freaks compared to other species is irrelevant.
>>
>>52462493
>Combat reflexes on an ork? They are surprised all the time, often by explosions they set off, and with Initiative 2 nobody could ever accuse them of being fast.

Orks have genetic memory. They were literally breed to fight.

>You've got a lot of advantages that might be better rolled into Immune to Metabolic Hazards. They don't get sick. Fearless also doesn't feel like it fits for their crap leadership, unless you put a limitation on it and bump up the level. Fearless 5 (Only in groups of Orks)?

What should I exchange for Immune to Metabolic Hazards? Would that really save any points? Also, yeah I was thinking about looking through powers and finding some sort of psychic bravery thing. That and putting a psychic limitation on daredevil as well.

>Unusual Biochemistry doesn't fit here. Ork medicine works on them without penalty. The fact that they are freaks compared to other species is irrelevant.

As per Space, every alien should realistically have Unusual Biochemistry. Humans are the baseline.
>>
>>52462641
>Orks have genetic memory. They were literally breed to fight.

Funnily enough, there's an advantage for that called Racial Memory
>>
>>52462641
>As per Space, every alien should realistically have Unusual Biochemistry. Humans are the baseline
Page number? That seems to go against every other assumption of the system. Compare it with Unusual Feature that explicitly says the features must be unusual for your race, and that a human with red glowing eyes counts while a demon with red glowing eyes is the standard and worth no points.
>>
>>52462641
>Filter Lungs [5], No Degeneration in Zero-G [1],Pressure Tolerant Lungs (Dense and Thin) [2],Radiation Tolerance 5 [10], Resistant to Metabolic Hazards +8 [15]

Could all be dumped in favor of Immune to Metabolic Hazards.

>>52467479

Yeah, you only get points for Unusual Biochemistry if you are playing a stranger in a strange setting where most medicine is going to be made by and for other people. If you have your own empire and will never really interact with any medicine that isn't made for you then the disadvantage isn't appropriate.
>>
>>52468349
>Could all be dumped in favor of Immune to Metabolic Hazards.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=26577

Kromm says Metabolic Hazards doesn't cover radiation damage or sickness.

>Yeah, you only get points for Unusual Biochemistry if you are playing a stranger in a strange setting where most medicine is going to be made by and for other people. If you have your own empire and will never really interact with any medicine that isn't made for you then the disadvantage isn't appropriate.
So an Ork would only get Unusual Biochemistry if he was playing with humans? Duly noted.

Here's my revised template.

Ork Template [170]
Advantages/Disadvantages: ST +2 [40], IQ -2 [40], HT +2 [20], Will +2 [10], Per +2 [10], Appearance (Monstrous) [-20], Arm ST+3 (Both Arms) [15], Bad Temper [-10], Bloodlust [-10], Bully [-10], Callous [-5], Combat Reflexes [15], Damage Resistance 2 (Thick Skin, -40%) [6], Daredevil [15], Doesn’t Breathe (Oxygen Storage, 100 times, -30%) [14], Easy to Read [-10], Fangs [2], Fearlessness 2 [4], Fit [5], Gregarious [-10], Hard to Subdue 2 [4], High Pain Threshold [10], Incurious [-5], Illiterate [-3], Improved G-Tolerance (1G) [15], Impulsiveness [-10], Immune to Metabolic Hazards [30], Innumerate [-5], Intolerance (Aliens) [-10], Nictitating Membrane 1 [1], Night Vision 3 [3], On the Edge [-15], Overconfidence [-5], Penetrating Voice [1], Racial Memory (Passive) [15], Radiation Tolerance 5 [10], Recovery [10], Regeneration (Slow; Radiation) [14], Regrowth (Reattachment Only, -50%) [20], Social Stigma (Uneducated) [-5], Temperature Tolerance 5 [5], Unaging [15], Unkillable 1 [50], and Universal Digestion [5].
Features: Early Maturation 5. Asexual. Fungus Reproduction.
Notes: Orks operating in Imperial society will have Social Stigma (Monster) if they don’t have Social Stigma (Sanctioned Xenos).

I still have no idea how to model the Waagh. Basically, the more Orks there are in an area, the tougher they get physically and mentally.
>>
>>52470258
Increasingly higher attribute bonuses with Accessibility limitations "Only when with 5/20/100/1000 other orks under the same leader."
>>
>>52470258

Actually I was rereading that thread and I think Immunity to Metabolic Hazards makes Temperature Tolerance Redundant. Also, I revised the Ork Template. My reasoning is that most Orks have almost no self-control whatsoever. They do get self-control bonuses if there is a bigger Ork around especially if he (really it) has smashed one of them recently.

Ork Template [80]
Advantages/Disadvantages: ST +2 [40], IQ -2 [40], HT +2 [20], Will +2 [10], Per +2 [10], Appearance (Monstrous) [-20], Arm ST+3 (Both Arms) [15], Bad Temper (6 or less) [-20], Bloodlust (6 or less) [-20], Bully (6 or less) [-20], Callous [-5], Combat Reflexes [15], Damage Resistance 2 (Thick Skin, -40%) [6], Daredevil [15], Doesn’t Breathe (Oxygen Storage, 100 times, -30%) [14], Easy to Read [-10], Fangs [2], Fearlessness 1 [2], Gregarious [-10], Hard to Subdue 2 [4], High Pain Threshold [10], Incurious (6 or less) [-10], Improved G-Tolerance (1G) [15], Impulsiveness (6 or less) [-20], Immune to Metabolic Hazards [30], Innumerate [-5], Intolerance (Aliens) [-10], Nictitating Membrane 1 [1], Night Vision 3 [3], On the Edge (6 or less) [-30], Overconfidence (6 or less) [-10], Penetrating Voice [1], Racial Memory (Passive) [15], Radiation Tolerance 5 [10], Recovery [10], Regeneration (Slow; Radiation) [14], Regrowth (Reattachment Only, -50%) [20], Social Stigma (Uneducated) [-5], Unaging [15], Unkillable 1 [50], and Universal Digestion [5].
Languages: Ork (Native/None) [-3].
Notes: Orks operating in Imperial society will have Social Stigma (Monster) if they don’t have Social Stigma (Sanctioned Xenos). These rare specimens will also have higher self-control for disadvantages. An extremely rare few may have bought off one or more mental disadvantages.

Anyway I think these new self control modifiers model well a species which is anything but subtle and will more often than not kill you (and each other) for the fun of it.
>>
>>52470258
Shouldn't they have at least SM+1 and ST 14? Also you should make lenses for Nobs (bigger SM, more ST) and Oddboys (more IQ, more mental disadvantages). Also don't forget that reducing IQ also reduces Will and Per.
>>
>>52471549
>Also don't forget that reducing IQ also reduces Will and Per
Scratch that, I see that you raised them.
>>
File: 1448067669314.png (191KB, 800x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1448067669314.png
191KB, 800x1009px
Firefly: The Verse tonight!

The party have a hold full of highly illegal weapons, a portable fusion reactor device, and low self control numbers!

What madness will they get up to on Motherliness, the Siberian mining colony of the ass end of the rim?
>>
No one plays GURPS here in Burritoland, it´s like 95% D&D/Pathfinder, 3% WoD, 1% Cthulu and 1% other games.

This threads are everything I have ;_;
>>
>>52472281
My group plays GURPS, but I had to introduce them.

Best idea: find people who want to play TTRPGs but haven't been poisoned by Pathfinder yet and introduce them to GURPS.
>>
>>52472281
You can play online.
>>
>>52472356
I'm 28, it's hard to find people 24+ who havent played ttrpgs but want to learn.

>>52472434
Problem is my english is not fluent enough to play online.
>>
>>52472802
Looks fine for text game, and it'll only get better if you do play online.
>>
>>52472281
Just tell them "It's like DnD, but it can be done in ANY setting" thats what I normally do and it works, if you GM people will normally be willing to play. Now finding someone to GM for you.... thats a different story.
>>
>>52472802
I'll play with you text online, if you want anon

I also have no friends :(
>>
>>52462493
just because you have combat reflexes doesn't mean you are literally impossible to surprise
it just means that you don't freeze up in combat situations or when completely surprised, and are overall surprised less often - which makes sense for a warrior race whose first instinct is 'fight or WAAAAAGH'.
if you don't have combat reflexes, when taken by surprise you will freeze up for 1d seconds and be unable to react AT ALL during this time, and can only take the do nothing maneuver, AND THEN you have to attempt IQ rolls to 'snap out of it' (and can possibly miss the entire combat if you fail enough of them)

in a partial surprise situation (or if you have combat reflexes) the two sides instead make initiative rolls, with bonuses for having a leader with combat reflexes and having tactics skills. curiously, there's no explicit mention of getting a bonus for being the surprising party, besides the GM being able to apply modifiers as they see fit, 'e.g., if he thinks one side was more alert than the other'
either way, in this case, the losing side freezes up, but can immediately make IQ rolls, at a cumulative +1 for each turn after the initial surprise.

it's worth noting that the surprise section specifically notes that animals often have combat reflexes to counteract their low IQ.

>>52468349
why are you applying the rules to unusual features to unusual biochemistry?
just read biochemistry; 'you can subsist on human food, but your biochemistry is sufficiently different from that of humans that drugs intended for humans don't work or have unpredictable effects'
>>
>>52473615
goddamn, meant to respond to >>52467479 instead.
>>
>>52473615
Dogs and horses don't have Unusual Biochemistry.

It's not a free five points for anything that isn't human, it's a Disadvantage that is used for characters that might need to use human drugs.

Also: Give a race as FEW advantages and disadvantages as you can, not as many. Your stat blocks are huge and unwieldy.
>>
Is there any Sword & Planet/Sci-Fantasy/Post-Post-Apocalyptic setting?
>>
>>52474248
In existence? Yes.
>>
>>52474344

What is it called?

And I obviously mean for GURPS, halfwit
>>
>>52474396
Dunno if there are any official ones. Reign of Steel might quality, and there's probably an Infinite Worlds world hovering around that fits the description.

After the End is the line for making your own post-apoc campaign, There's Psi-Wars, a homebrew setting that's sci-fantasy. GURPS isn't really bursting with pre-made settings, though. You're probably going to have to make your own.
>>
>>52474451

I see. Those you mentioned already help though.
>>
>>52474126
>Give a race as FEW advantages and disadvantages as you can, not as many. Your stat blocks are huge and unwieldy.

For character design, yes. However, for accurately reproducing a fictional race, no. I've seen other people's interpretation of Orks in GURPS (perfect organism for example) and they fail to account for much of their abilities. Go ahead an read the fluff if you don't believe me.

>>52471132
How would you price that? I'm willing to tone down the Waagh ability and make it only apply to Will (so if there are enough Orks together they're essentially unbreakable).
>>
File: Capture.png (114KB, 453x684px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
114KB, 453x684px
>>52475580
Take a look at how Horde Intelligence works.
>>
>>52475580
ST +1 (Only with 5 other boyz, -20%) [8]
ST +1 (Only with 20 other boyz, -40%) [6]
ST +1 (Only with 100 other boyz, -60%) [4]
ST +1 (Only with 1000 other boyz, -80%) [2]

Example: If an ork is krumpin some 'umies with two dozen other orks, he's significantly stronger at +2 ST. To save room/time, package all the above together into a new metatrait: WAAAAAGH [20].

Values and attributes will obviously need tweaking, and you'll want to add more than just ST, but this shpuld work as a base.
>>
File: Vp-misc05.jpg (185KB, 545x700px) Image search: [Google]
Vp-misc05.jpg
185KB, 545x700px
I've been playing an evil campaign with my players, and they've just taken over a small bastion and they want to start doing businesses to raise funds for their evil plans.

Are there any rules or splatbooks detailing enterprises, economy, troops, large scale combat, units and the sort?

TL;DR: I need rules/charts/splatbooks for a villain tycoon campaign. What do you recommend?
>>
>>52475813
Low-Tech Companion 3 and Mass Combat.
>>
>>52475898
Adding to this. Take a look at "What's In A Lair?" from the Organization issue of Pyramid. I think LTC2 also has stuff on bases and fortifications. A spaceship with no engine, no powerplant, and only unstreamlined Stone Armor is a quick and easy way to handle castle building.
>>
File: 1480813533374.jpg (29KB, 564x891px) Image search: [Google]
1480813533374.jpg
29KB, 564x891px
Trading 5Mil in guns for a chest full of precious stones and some engine repairs? Good times in the verse
>>
>>52471167
Ork Template [88]
Advantages/Disadvantages: ST +2 [40], IQ -2 [40], IQ +8 (Mitigator, Horde Intelligence, -60%) [64], HT +2 [20], Appearance (Monstrous) [-20], Arm ST+3 (Both Arms) [15], Awakened [5], Bad Temper (6 or less) [-20], Bloodlust (6 or less) [-20], Bully (6 or less) [-20], Callous [-5], Combat Reflexes [15], Damage Resistance 2 (Thick Skin, -40%) [6], Daredevil [15], Doesn’t Breathe (Oxygen Storage, 100 times, -30%) [14], Easy to Read [-10], Fangs [2], Gregarious [-10], Hard to Subdue 2 [4], High Pain Threshold [10], Incurious (6 or less) [-10], Impulsiveness (6 or less) [-20], Immune to Metabolic Hazards [30], Innumerate [-5], Intolerance (Aliens) [-10], Nictitating Membrane 1 [1], Night Vision 3 [3], On the Edge (6 or less) [-30], Overconfidence (6 or less) [-10], Penetrating Voice [1], Racial Memory (Passive) [15], Regeneration (Slow) [10], Regrowth (Reattachment Only, -50%) [20], Social Stigma (Uneducated) [-5], Unaging [15], Unkillable 1 [50], and Universal Digestion [5].
Languages: Ork (Native/None) [-3].

Nob [23]
Add ST +3 [27] and SM +1 [0].

Odd Boyz

Mekboy [+95]
Add IQ +2 [40], Artificer 2 [20], Gadgeteer [25], Gizmos 1 [5], and Versatile [5].

Painboy [+95]
Add IQ +2 [40], Healer 4 [40], Higher Purpose (Healing) [5], and High Manual Dexterity 2 [10].

Weirdboy [+102]
Add IQ +2 [40] and Magery 3 (Seriously Calamity Prone, -10%) [32]. 30 pts in spells from the Waagh College.

Freebooter [+90]
Remove Incurious and On the Edge. Increase the Self Control of all remaining disadvantages to 12. Add IQ +1 [20] and Greed [-15].

I got rid of the radiation protection for the Orks because of their reliance of genetic memory. I also got rid of Improved G-Tolerance and Recovery because they seemed pretty useless. I also added Horde Intelligence and Awakened (to represent orks learning from racial memory).
>>
>>52475813
Pyramid 67 has some prebuilt fantasy armies that are designed for villains (undead, demons, orcs, mind controlled, mongol horde). Pyramid 77 has a prebuilt Roman Legion and Ancient Egyptian army. Pyramid 70 has a couple armies from Banestorm (Necromancer Italian Citystate vs Fantasy Roman Legion + French Knights).
>>
File: face.jpg (84KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
84KB, 1920x816px
>>52477369
>Oops

Things were going smooth and we'd been paid. That was always a sign things were about to go south.
>>
Hmm, apparently GURPS Zombies had a ruling on whether Metabolic Hazards included temperature and radiation.

>Zombies page 54
>Metabolic Hazards: Assists against the effects of altitude, disease, poison, pressure, radiation, and temperature if DR doesn’t protect and there’s a HT roll to resist, whether failure means injury or affliction (attribute penalty, disadvantage, nausea, etc.). Any zombie might have this trait at the +3 level (10 points) or even the +8 level (15 points), but only undead, unliving constructs, and solidified spirits can possess Immunity (30 points). Immunity doesn’t shield the zombie’s structure from pressure, radiation, or temperature, which can cause brittleness and cracks. When a HT roll is required for such a hazard, roll at +15 and apply modifiers for intensity (only). Even critical failure means no damage or affliction, but any failure costs the zombie one level of HT permanently. To reduce this risk, add Pressure Support, Radiation Tolerance, and/or Temperature Tolerance.

Ughh.
>screams internally.
>>
I have a question that's a bit system agnostic, but since I'm running GURPS I'd figure I'd ask here.

Whats the best way, as a GM, to make enemies that use mind control in combat without it seeming like a dick move?

I'm going to be running a game in a setting where mind control is an important part of it, but I know that if I was a player and the GM mind controlled my character and attacked the party, I'd feel like he was being a dick.

So far, I'm planning on restricting it to combat and stressful situations, making it very obvious that the person is being controlled, and killing the controlling creature would dispell the control. Anything else I should consider?
>>
>>52478114
>use mind control
>without seeming like a dick
There no way.
Using mind control against players always dick move. Even if players before start says they fine about that, they anyway will think you are dick if you use mind control against them.
Lesser being a dick option is to use mind control only on their minions and only against their minions, without touching players.
>>
>>52478114

It's always a tricky one, but one-second mind control in combat works sort of. If the player fails they're stunned, fail by 5 or more you take control of their next turn.
Anything more than that is always a dick move.
>>
>>52478183
>>52478197
Well yeah, it is a dick move.

Still, I'm going to be running an XCOM game for people who like Long War, so I really can't not do mind control at some point.

Trying to figure out the best way to do it.
>>
File: Yuri_red_alert.jpg (376KB, 1541x964px) Image search: [Google]
Yuri_red_alert.jpg
376KB, 1541x964px
>>52478114
>Whats the best way, as a GM, to make enemies that use mind control in combat without it seeming like a dick move?
I was also giving it some thought. My idea was that the mind-controller is more or less a boss encounter, and he can't control more than one person at once.

Some ideas I just came up:
- Victim is allowed to make a Quick Contest of Will vs mind control on every turn, and all the resulting degrees of success are applied as penalties to the attack rolls against friends. Critical success means he sheds mind control and gives mental stun to controller, critical failure means that he is fully under control, and can't make any further Will rolls.
- Mind controller must support a visual contact with victim, and if he will lose control if distracted enough (setting him on fire should help).

Lesser mind controlling enemies may exist, but they may only cause stuff like mental stun or fear checks.
>>
>>52478267
Well, since I'm running XCOM, here's what I was thinking:

- Only one victim per controller
- Visual indication from victims head to location of controller, after passing a perception check
- Instead of visual contact I was considering a range limit
- I was considering quick contests for every action the victim is forced to perform, but I like your idea of applying degrees of success as penalties
- Another character spending a turn waking the victim up gives a bonus to will (bump will up to 15 or 16 and rolls of 5 or 6 also get you out of mind control)
- Shock applies to controllers next quick contest roll as penalty
- Mind control is hard and requires concentration, if the controller uses an active defense, on the victim's next turn, the victim can only Do Nothing.
- The controller can either move or attack during his turn, but if he moves and attacks (even a step), or does an all-out attack, the victim can only Do Nothing on the next turn
- Fright check for victim broken out of mind control

Thoughts?
>>
>>52478350
Fright Checks should be a separate attack, similar to original X-Com's PANIC UNIT. Also there should be a mind probing, that does no direct harm, but extracts some information from the victim's mind (however, victim should be aware that someone is digging inside their brain).
>>
>>52478370
Now that I think about it, mind control causes panic in the rest of your squad, so fright checks should go to the rest of the party in the event of a mind control.

For some reason I was thinking that breaking out of mind control in long war left the soldier panicked.
>>
>>52477799
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards protects you from metabolic damage from heat and cold, but not directed heat and cold attacks, or physical changes to your body like melting or freezing. This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.2.21
>>
Let's say opponent is holding me by the scruff and I want to pull out the knife and put it to his neck to threaten him. Which maneuver is that?
>>
>>52479267
You've got some work to do, depending on exactly how he's holding you.

If he's holding your coat, shirt or other garments at the back of your neck (normal human scruff-grabbing) then you likely just want to Fast Draw a knife then make an Intimidation roll, likely with a bonus.

Even if you fail the Intimidation, he'd be wise to let you go if he'd a normal human. In C range that knife can do a LOT of damage, and backing up is a solid defense.

If you are held by the throat, he'd Grappling you and things are a bit different. You will need to pull your blade out with the rules for Grappling, then can threaten like before if you can get the knife out.

Intimidation, while it can involve gesturing at the neck with a knife, doesn't require an attack roll.

If you are some manner of creature with a thick scruff of loose fur and skin at the back of the neck he's still grappling you, and if you have a biological Quirk/Trait that causes it you might have trouble fighting at all. Cats, for example, find it quite difficult to do anything physically vigorous when the scruff's held.
>>
>>52479267
Wait, isn't the scruff the back of the neck/collar? Is the guy behind you?

Regardless, I think it comes down to Fast Draw (Knife), possibly at a penalty due to awkward angle, then Intimidation, possibly at a bonus for a show of force/lethality. You then probably take a Wait maneuver with the trigger being "does anything but talk" if you plan on backing up your words with actions. The mental image of some doing this to someone behind them is admittedly a bit goofy.
>>
>>52479267
>>52479306
>The mental image of some doing this to someone behind them is admittedly a bit goofy.
Yeah. Honestly if someone is holding you from the back, it feels more natural to threaten the groin area or the femoral artery with a knife and not the neck.
>>
>>52479306
>>52479416
Yeah, I fucked up, I should've said "holding them by shirt collar".
>>
Saturday bump for Sunday thread
>>
>>52480879
It's still Saturday, you chump. And it's slower than last Friday
>>
>>52478114
Ming control by default is a dick move on enemy side.
Want a golden recipe?
Make it widespread. Make it so common that there is no shock or suprise on player side, just dull acceptance
>>
What enhancement would I add to an ability that requires a quick contest to work (e.g. Mind Control) to give the target a penalty to their resistance roll?
>>
>>52482986
The penalty is built into affliction; higher levels of affliction apply that level as a penalty to the opposed resistance roll
>>
>>52482996
I want to enhance Mind Control/Mind Probe/etc., not Affliction. Those advantages don't say you can buy a higher level to give the target a penalty.
>>
>>52483052
Oh! well then

Hmm
>>
>>52483052
Malediction.
>>
File: parasite9.jpg (83KB, 969x683px) Image search: [Google]
parasite9.jpg
83KB, 969x683px
>TFW the party collectively realize one of their own is
>INFECTED
>>
File: 1443552921636.png (102KB, 453x443px) Image search: [Google]
1443552921636.png
102KB, 453x443px
>>52483345
Falkirk: "Any advice for the extraction, Sir Roderick?" Falkirk asks, inspecting the blade in the torch flame

Syviis: "We had many pressing issues...none of them are excuses, of course...just..." trails off"
"What do we do about it, Falkirk? Or are you hoping heated steel is the answer?"

Bomrek pales at the word Extraction, and brings a gloved hand to his throat, looking between Falkirk and Roderick.

Suðri Skornbrekker notices Bomrek's apprehension. “If it is not removed, that... thing might take control of you and drive you mad.”

Roderick: "The only advice I can offer is to be careful, and hope that an early removal yields better results."

Falkirk: "I am a surgeon, miss. I cut bad things out of people. I am good at it"
>>
This might sound like a stupid question, but isn't.

Can you use Propaganda as a substitute for Teaching checks? I'm talking about high TL propaganda, using all kinds of socio- and mnemo-techniques to achieve own goals.
>>
I've been brainstorming ideas for a low magic/supernatural Wild West campaign. Would you guys mind giving me some recommendations for books to check out? First time running my own game as well as GURPs so any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>52485060
GURPS Lite for referencing rules, Basic Set, How to Be a GURPS GM, High-Tech.
>>
>>52485060
Thaumatology and a few of its splats will let you tailor magic to exactly what you need for your campaign. Action 2 is a good choice for high-action games, and I think there's a Pyramid article for running a Wild West game in Action.
>>
>>52485060
Monster Hunters has good rules for supernatural campaigns. It's like combination of Action and Mystery. Add the rules for Stress and Derangement and Corruption from Horror to tone up the supernatural horror if you like.

>>52486261
Action seems more orientated to TL8 campaigns.
>>
>>52485215
>>52486261
>>52486749
Thanks guys I'll look into them when I get home later. I really only needed magic in regards to enchanted artifacts(wands, maybe self-playing pianos/other mundane things) I'm trying to avoid people being able to fling fireballs from their hands so firearms aren't considered useless. I'm planning on setting up a long-running conflict involving them vs wands, and I've heard GURPs is super customizable but how easy would it be to balance this issue?
>>
>>52487201
Guns are hard for magic to beat. 16 points in Guns is more lethal than 16 points in a standard Fireball innate attack for Sorcery or a Fireball spell from GURPS Magic. Ritual Path Magic fireballs start out at something like 30 energy, which isn't a trivial amount and is very limited because you'll need to make charms ahead of time for combat casting.
>>
File: 1479043479250.png (190KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1479043479250.png
190KB, 600x849px
>>52483414
>>52483345
After the while scare with the mindflayer parasite, (which is still there mind, just not dealt with yet) I ambushed them with warlock cultists! Crazy balls to the wall fight with enough critical fails and successes there was cursing of the RNGods names.

It all ended with the dwarf musketeer pistol whipping a mad elf woman in the face for 6 damage with an all out attack and him saying "think she survived enough to answer a few questions?"
>>
>>52487233
Dang. Couldn't I just beef up the numbers to make them more comparable? Or would that lead to issues later down the road?
>>
>>52487457
Magic could just fill different roles. Support, control, and area effects, rather than out and out single-target damage.
>>
>>52487457
>>52487488
Guns are damage dealers
Magic is ~whatever you'd like it to be~

Don't pigeonhole yourself
>>
>>52487488
Hm.. I was considering this for a weapon type I wanted to create(read:steal) from something else. Basically magical "bullets" that when fired would do more than just murder whatever they are shot at. I wanted to give them more utility options so every conflict doesn't literally become "shoot first, ask questions later"
>>
>>52487595
Ritual Path Magic is what you want, then. You can make bullets into charms that cast spells and such.
>>
>>52487536
Fair enough. Ideally I'd like to just make magic fall more on the side of enchanting but maybe the books will change my mind on some things.
>>
>>52487595
I forget where, but there was an article on "red dust" that let you shoot polished copper tubes with lenses as Lazer beams. Same cost per shot and damage as a gun of the same caliber, but with burning type and armor divisor (2). Fun stuff. Mundane magic guns.
>>
>>52487609
RPM is nice but I like the simplicity of the generic magic system. It works well for low powered games or games where you only allow certain colleges of magic.
>>
>>52477436
Here's what I got so for cultist lenses. Still working on skills for them. I'm using the demons from Monster Hunters 3 with similar lenses.

Cultist [+15]. Add Enemy (Inquisition) [Varies], and Secret (Chaos Cultist) [-30] to your template’s disadvantage options. Followers of one god can also add Add Enemy(Daemons and Followers of the other Gods) [Varies].

Death Cultist
Advantages: 45 pts in Striking ST +1 or +2 [5 or 10], Combat Reflexes [15], Fearlessness 1-5 [2/level], Fit or Very Fit [5 or 15], and Patron [Varies].
Disadvantages: 30 pts chosen from Bad Temper [-10], Berserk [Varies], Bloodlust [-10], Code of Honor (Khorne) [-10], Easy to Read [-10], Truthfulness [-5], and Vow (Never back out of a fight) [-10].

Plague Cultist
Advantages: 45 pts in HT +1 or +2 [10 or 20], Hard to Kill 1-2 [2/level], Patron [Varies], and Resistant to Disease +3 or +8 [3 or 5].
Disadvantages: 30 pts chosen from Appearance [Varies], Bad Smell [-10], Charitable [-10], Chummy or Gregarious [-5 or -15], Gregarious [-10], Laziness [-10], Odious Personal Habit [Varies], Obsession (Spread Disease) [-10], or Social Disease [-5].

Pleasure Cultist
Advantages: 45 pts in Per +1 or +2 [5 or 10], Appearance [Varies], Charisma 1-4 [5/level], Sensitive or Empathy [5 or 15], High Pain Threshold [10], Patron [Varies], and Voice [10].
Disadvantages: Addiction [Varies], Compulsive Behavior [Varies], Hedonist [-1], Impulsiveness [-10], Low Pain Threshold [-10], Lecherousness [-15], Obsession [Varies], Perfectionist [-1], Sadism [-10], or Selfish [-5].

Mystery Cultist
Advantages: 45 pts in Eidetic or Photographic Memory [5 or 10], Patron [Varies], and 1-3 Magery (Pact and Corrupting) [Varies].
Disadvantages: 30 pts from Curious [5], Jealousy [-10], Megalomania [-10], Paranoia [-10], or Trickster [-15].

Unaligned
Advantages: 30 pts in Patron.
Disadvantages: Fanaticism (Chaos) [-15].
>>
Does anyone have some racial templates for the Eldar Scrolls? Do you think it is worth it to model their daily powers or should I treat that as more of an abstract?

Also bump.
>>
>>52490601
Racial powers in TES aren't equal. Khajiit's night vision is just, well, Night Vision 5-9, and there is no reason to make it time-limited.
Meanwhile Orcs got Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2) and double damage, which is Striking ST +10 or something.
Dunmer's fire aura is pretty tame, I think it's about 1d or 2d of damage.
etc etc
>>
File: XM5qXt0L7yM.jpg (71KB, 598x800px) Image search: [Google]
XM5qXt0L7yM.jpg
71KB, 598x800px
>>52487239
The guy that needs the surgery had to bail, we can't exactly hold him down and cut his tongue out when he's AFK.

>>52483414
Nothing says confidence like a doctor that just woke up from a nightmareish coma and fairy magic wanting to cut you with a bullocks dagger.
>>
How would you guys handle the Dark Eldar's need to torture people to keep their soul from being devoured by She Who Thirsts? Terminally Ill with a mitigator?
>>
File: tumblr_o2pczkZukY1tjfn4wo1_500.jpg (156KB, 462x693px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2pczkZukY1tjfn4wo1_500.jpg
156KB, 462x693px
>>52493770
Draining could work too. I don't think that it is worth worrying too much about the specifics.

>>52490601
I'd consider them abstract and avoid any per-day powers. Give Orcs a bonus to ST and DR when berserk, kittys get their night vision and claws and Imperials get more character points to spend elsewhere because their powers are boring as shit and aren't worth giving stats to.
>>
>>52493770
>need to torture people to keep soul
Compulsive Behavior + Unnatural appetite, I think
>>
>>52493903
Imperials would have Charisma, wouldn't they?
>>
>>52494008
Should every member of the race have those abilities? I'm thinking that only heroes would have the more powerful abilities while the everyday folk would have just the morphological advantages (fur for example).
>>
>>52494127
Depends on what do you want. Personally, I would give everyone some lesser ability and let player upgrade it later if they wish so. Not everyone would have something supernatural, though.
>>
>>52494127
>Should every member of the race have those abilities
You do double work to make racial templates for players and the others?
>>
>>52494191
Well giving Orc farmer insane Berserker super power might be overkill...

I'd much rather make a low power racial template and then a lense for characters who wish to develop their racial powers as >>52494170 suggested.

Same for Birth Signs. Everyone in TES has a birthsign but it only really matters for heroes, i.e. characters who pay pts for those abilities.
>>
File: 1487285178153.jpg (595KB, 1200x1976px) Image search: [Google]
1487285178153.jpg
595KB, 1200x1976px
My computer bricked but I was lucky enough to use MEGAsync and keep all my shut backed up on the cloud.

Do you guys have any GURPS apps for Android phones, or apps that can be used for?

I'm looking for anything, really. Character sheets, inventory managers, etc.
>>
>>52494557
Google Sheets.
>>
How to realize permanent item enchantments in world with RPM (vanilla, effect shaping and incantation variants available), especially on economic side?
>>
I'm trying to convince our GM to use GURPS over DnD5e.
Can /gurpsgen/ provide some solid reasoning?
I don't know all of the intricacies, otherwise I'd have told him myself.
>>
>>52495292
Do you know gurps good enough to give your GM nice all-around system tour and solid back-up on session, not the "go read that 600 pages corebook and these 600 pages of supplements and now go make me good game with all that!"?
>>
>>52495324
GURPS Lite?
32 pages, including cover and page index. And roughtly 1/3 of it is description of skills and nothing else, while most of them are intuitive enough to just read their name.
>>
>>52495324
I brought that up and he said "Well, I'm already 152 pages in."

>>52495337
We actually did try this once already, he didn't like it since he thought it was "low fantasy" and he's a raging magicfag.
>>
>>52495337
One of my best players long ago start gurps with lite and drop it for years, until we met and i invited him in my gurps campaign. Because as he says "Lite was such shit, lol, i dunno, in there was not all those cool things"
>>
>>52495292

Do you like brutal violence where a single hit can cause a lasting wound on a limb that effects combat rather then being an abstract HP loss?

Do you want to try a system where you never have to worry about levels, just what your own capabilities are compared to your foes? The first thing you fight might be a vampire, while orcs that outnumber you will always be a valid threat.

How about a game where powerful equipment upgrades can give you a real advantage but aren't required. You are never on a magic item treadmill to keep getting more +X in order to keep up with arbitrarily leveled monsters.

It's the impact in combat that I love. You feel every hit in GURPS, even if your armor defends you there's always a tense moment when someone gets past your defenses. A good hit can take an enemy out of cripple them with one shot.
>>
>>52495405
Wow! Such nice "GURPS = Low Fantasy" promotion.
>>
>>52494742
Pump Duration to over a century. It's effectively permanent as far as most people are concerned. Family heirlooms that will need to last longer will need to make periodic visits to a powerful wizard to ensure they stay active. That could be a normal thing for noble houses or anyone else that somehow lands a magic gizmo to the point that it's part of the culture's right of passage; to be considered an adult, one must take the family heirloom across the mountains and swamps to the ancient magus and convince him to continue the weapon's enchantment.
>>
>>52495292
GURPS supports character archetypes the 5e doesn't. It has a level of detail and gives players a degree of freedom that allows for more types of characters to be played and played right out of the gate if necessary instead of waiting for that one feat or class feature.

Or you can show him Dungeon Fantasy and instead argue that the system can do hella fun dungeoncrawls. Not everything in GURPS has to be about muh details or muh freedumbs; the system also supports fast and loose, roll and shout groups.
>>
>>52495364
Then give him the magic book most suited for his tastes. It will probably be Sorcery going by your "description".
Seriously, how I'm suppose to sell the game to a guy I never met, while you apparently not only know him well enough, but withold details from us?
>>
>>52495777
>>52495364
Or show him RPM. Or Thaumatology. GURPS is crazy with magic
>>
>>52495364
>he didn't like it since he thought it was "low fantasy" and he's a raging magicfag.
Good GOD show him otherwise!
>>
Would you let a player use Urban Survival to find hiding spots in a city to evade the PCs' pursuers? Or should they use their Area Knowledge skill?
>>
>>52497026
Either would be fine. One skill covers finding good hiding spots on the fly while the other covers knowing one already. If you want to differentiate them, maybe make Urban Survival a quick contest while Area Knowledge is a flat success roll.
>>
Someone can share their long play experience with "Knowing Your Own Strength" from #3-83? Worth it? Will it works with "Broken Blade" from #3-87?
>>
>>52497649
The GURPS Discord has nothing but good things to say about KYOS. At least half a dozen folks who like it's cost/return ratio
>>
Any suggestions for house servant build ASIDE picking high enough Housekeeping skill?
>>
>>52499152
Savoir-Faire (Servant) is the only "core" one; your servant may have more, but that depends on what specific tasks they do and the level they are expected to do them. If the servant is also the primary child rearer, they might also have Teaching. Housekeeping covers day-to-day cooking, but the servant may be in the employ of someone with expensive tastes, necessitating the Cooking skill. If the servant is in a large household and is the head of the downstairs, Administration, Leadership, or any influence skill may be required to keep everything running smoothly.
>>
File: 1490912524366.gif (41KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
1490912524366.gif
41KB, 500x520px
What books should I read for a Metal Gear Solid-esque game?

What I actually mean by this: action/spy movie deconstruction/character study, magical realism/exceptional ability and supernatural power accepted as reality, and most everything (no matter how silly) being taken seriously.

Also: twists.
>>
>>52499949
Action?
Maybe high tech?
All that you describe is in basic set...
>>
>>52499949
Running exactly that.

Core, grab the vibro-blades from UT, either go gun-fu or action for extra gunplay rules. I homebrewed a stealth system because there's nothing that works in RAW.
>>
Welp, we had a detective campaign in 1900 London, and it just went tits up. It was off to great start when it turned out that our GM doesn't knows that Dodge is not a skill (even though he claims that he has read Lite), then he kept nagging about our characters being too cruel, just because of one tiny waterboarding, then we had conflict with our employer because he tried to sign us up for some unfavorable deal and because he was a Jew, but still, and now we tried to sell the whole story to some journalist, who was so daft that one of the characters shot him with sawn-off shotgun and then player walked off. I think we had some proper, old-school fuckery going on.
>>
File: Capture.png (102KB, 657x392px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
102KB, 657x392px
>>52499152
Connoisseur (Wine), some skills related to running errands (e.g. Area Knowledge, Merchant if you need to haggle, Driving if your TL has cars), and pic related.
>>
hey everyone, i made a thread last night but it archived. so I'm gonna ask the general as not to spam.

i want to play a necromancer alchemist, making potions and raising undead horses then sewing multiple legs on them.

I'm looking for a few things
1. cool guns/weapons - currently I'm going to be using a dart rifle that shoots my syringes out.
2. a familiar that i can collect poison/toxin from
3. advantages

its been suggested to me to get

Combat reflexes
Gadgeteer, quick (necromancy/alchemy only)
Skill talent (mad doctor)[choosing various healing and macabre skills]
Ally(plague Raven) [then build your little necromantic NPC buddy alongside your GM]
>>
>>52501819
forgot pic
>>
>>52500209
>our GM doesn't knows that Dodge is not a skill
Your GM a shit
>>
>>52501819
Sounds like you're already on the right track

What's the setting background? What TL / magic level / etc?
>>
>>52501971
ahh right, the setting is the weird west. magic is fairly common, roughly 20% of the population has some kind of magic.

the tech level is TL 6 but the setting is full of gadgeteers that have been competing with mages. trying to one up them and prove people dont need magic. so were still traveling west, but we've also got automail arms and a few machine guns.

the setting is basically magic has been round since the dawn of time, there are two worlds the world of magic and the normal world, some people are born with the ability to draw from the magic world. and then throw us into the americas during the wild west and add magic plus gadgeteering being common.
>>
>>52502086
Has your GM given any specifics on how alchemy, necromancy, or magic in general is going to work in his campaign? I don't want to give you advice under incorrect assumptions.
>>
>>52502237
since this is his first game hes going 100% by the book whenever theres already rules in place.

theres rules for alchemy in the book already i believe.

as for necromancy, its viewed in a moral grey area, as long as you aren't showing off your abominations or attacking people then they'll just think you're a creep.

otherwise no specifics
>>
File: kromm looking good.jpg (29KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
kromm looking good.jpg
29KB, 500x211px
>>52472281
Kromm: Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Steve Jackson the Wise?
Newfag: No.
Kromm: I thought not. It's not a story the Pathfinderfags would tell you. It's a GURPS legend. Darth Steve Jackson was a GM so powerful and so wise, he could use GURPS to create... any type of game. He had such a knowledge of GURPS, he could even recreate any type of character or ability... all in the same game.
Newfag: He could actually... have blueberry muffins fight xenomorphs with the help of the power rangers?
Kromm: The GURPS is a pathway to many campaigns some consider to be unnatural.
Newfag: What happened to him?
Kromm: He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was GURPS going out of print... which, eventually of course, it did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice let the game wallow into obscurity because neither can into business. Ironic. He could create an almost perfect game system...but he couldn't get people to play it.
Newfag: Is it possible to learn this power?
Kromm: Not from a Pathfinderfag
>>
>>52502551
Then I'm going to assume you are using the default magic system and GURPS: Magic which expands the spell list and adds alchemy.

#1 thing to note is that alchemy takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time. Yeah you can make shit in bulk, but if you need a potion NOW or don't regularly have two months of downtime, you're kind of out of luck. As such, instead see if you can take multiple levels of Gizmo with the limitation Alchemical Potions Only and refluff it from pulling out a potion from nowhere to you being able to quickly brew up a potion from surrounding ingredients.

Since you will also be taking a lot of IQ-based skills, I can't give you the old standby of "pump Magery," but do try and shoot for an IQ+Magery of 18 if the campaign/budget allows it; that lets you put a single point into a spell and get a final skill level of 15-16, giving you a lot of breadth.

Guns will always outdamage magic. Don't fight an uphill battle.

>>52503179
Nice.
>>
>>52499949
I'd probably also recommend the Dungeon Fantasy Wilderness Adventures book for extra survival rules.
>>
>>52503179
>>
>>52503276
good advice, thank you, ill ask him if i can gizmo some potions.

the starting points is 200, and 75 in disadvantages so were essentially lvl 1. (boy who doesn't love starting lvl 1 every fucking time you play a game)
>>
>>52503821
That's around DF starting values. Check out the Dungeon Brewmaster from Pyramid #3/83 for an alchemy-focused artificer and the Necromancer from DF: Summoners for a death-focused spell list. Use both templates as inspiration and combine where possible. Dungeon Brewmaster also has rules for speedier alchemy and syringe crossbows.
>>
>>52501949
Yeah, I kinda got suspicious when enemy rolled 12 and dodged the attack, no retreat, no nothing.
>>
>>52504881
To be fair, everyone messes up in the beginning. My first game was a Fullmetal Alchemist game and I, for some reason, had alchemy attacks resolve as quick contests of skill vs Dodge. I've come a long way since then, and there's a good chance the your GM will improve too.
>>
>>52504881
Dang
I mean, my last group of mooks had dodge scores of 12 after all said, but that's due to magical bullshit warlock stuff. I was TRYING to make them frustratingly hard to hit. Mooks shouldn't dodge more than 8 or 9...
>>
File: 1454633951620.png (87KB, 406x314px) Image search: [Google]
1454633951620.png
87KB, 406x314px
>>52505114
>quick contests of skill vs Dodge
>>
>>52495364
>We actually did try this once already, he didn't like it since he thought it was "low fantasy" and he's a raging magicfag.

Hand him Thaumathurgy.
>>
>>52503179
Top notch post.

>>52503276
There's always the atomic option.. allow Missile Shield as a common spell and magic option.

This makes guns better then magic because even 1 is higher then zero, effectiveness wise.
>>
>>52496828

Could one simply allow more points at chargen to increase the character's power level?
>>
>>52506878
Yes.
>>
File: dieselpunk_car.jpg (36KB, 540x367px) Image search: [Google]
dieselpunk_car.jpg
36KB, 540x367px
I need to know if this idea is stupid or not.

I had a Dieselpunk setting in mind. It took place in a 1920s-esque setting, where Dragons used to rule over humans, but were finally defeated in an event similar to the great war. The players would play as people setting up a 'Personal Enforcement Agency', basically being a team of PIs, doing things like dealing with bootleggers while uncovering a conspiracy for the Dragons to rise again.

But then, I had another idea. I had been inspired by the dreamlike qualities of the Great Gatsby while doing this (also, I played Catherine, that puzzle game), and I wondered, what if this were a dream world?

A being of great power (or a dreaming boy, haven't decided yet), had taken pity on all the miserable people of the world, their woes brought on by the confusing modern world, and created a fantasy world, where they would be top dogs.

The key points of this are:

> The person falls into a coma, and enters the dream. Here, 1 week equates to 1 hr spent in real life. Assuming no one discovers that you have fallen into a coma, you will eventually die of malnutrition. This means you have around two weeks to live, or 336 hours. This would give you 336 weeks in the dream world, or 6 years and some change.

> If you're put into a vegetative state in real life, you can go on to live in the dream world for a very long time indeed. Should you ever die in the dream, you do not die in real life. Instead, you come back as another person, wiped clean of all the memories you had gained in your previous life.

> The only way to gain self-awareness about the dream is to be told a detail about your real life that resonates. It can be something very positive, or something very unpleasant. This will give you a chance to roll to have a flashback, hinting that all is not what it seems.

> These concepts will be kept a secret, until an intrepid newsie comes into the PC's lives, and slowly begins revealing these details to them.

Cont.
>>
>>52504082
having some trouble finding a PDF for this
>>
>>52507316

> The newsie knows this is a dream, and is looking to get out of it. They've already lived and died several different times, but since they have kept being brought back as a journalist, they've kept extensive notes to allow whoever they come back as to snap out of it.

> He can do this, because any new reincarnations always arrive at the same train station, just about to enter the big city.

> Now, not everyone in the dream is a real person. Most are just figments of the imagination. But he has discovered a way of finding out who is real. The real people act like your average player playing a character in an RPG: disassocaiated from pain and pleasure, unusually comfortable with murder and combat, willing to spend boatloads of money on weapons but nothing on their own comfort, etc.

> Once the newsie is sure the PCs are real people in their lives, he will let them in on everything he's learned. Or she. Haven't decided on who the newsie is, exactly.

> He informs them that the Dragon is starting to become a problem. It is a representation of nightmares, and it seeks to turn the dreamworld into a massive nightmare.

> The newsie has a plan to awaken them all from this, but they need the PCs help. And there will be plenty of real people who see this dream as a paradise, and will do whatever it takes to stop the PCs from ending the dream.

Basically, the whole thing is a quest to awaken from a dieselpunk fever dream, with lots of meta commentary on PCs and that special brand of sociopathy one gets when playing RPGs.

So, yeah. Is this retarded? Can't tell at this point.
>>
>>52507421
Everything should be in the MEGA. Pyramid Vol. 3 is its own folder and DF is in the Dungeon Fantasy sub-folder.
>>
File: 1490329019890.png (98KB, 575x548px) Image search: [Google]
1490329019890.png
98KB, 575x548px
>>52507460
>>52507316
You had me with the dieselpunk post dragon society

You lost me with the metasetting coma dream world
>>
File: dieselpunk_motorcycle.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dieselpunk_motorcycle.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
>>52508028

You and my skype contact list have confirmed it to be retarded. Good thing the dream aspect was just an add-on. Thankies for the response.

I'll let y'all know when this is ready. I want to start up a GURPS game on roll20 with this setting, but my schedule is less than forgiving these days.
>>
File: 20100702_rtl3328_hdr.jpg (225KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
20100702_rtl3328_hdr.jpg
225KB, 1200x798px
>>52508905
I feel like the dream could be a good story, but only if you control every character, the pacing and the way information is revealed.

In an RPG where you don't get those things it seems like it would be a mess.

The basic diesselpunk post dragon thing sounds neat though.
>>
How to make bioshock-ish plasmids?
Find point cost of ability then multiply it by TL cost factor is fine?
Duration of plasmids should be hardcapped (24hours or 12hours) or counted as maximum duration limitation on ability?
>>
>>52509742
Just read BioTech, it got you covered
>>
>>52509742
Metatronic Generators from Pyramid #3/46 might be adaptable to the issue of plasmids as powers purchasable with cash.
>>
Due to a miscalculation, it turned out I still have 10 points from the starting batch. GM allowed me to spend them as I see fit, but it can't be anything I shouldn't have from the start and it must be done without stripping down any of my already existing skills, advantages and stats to get more points and rearange things further, since we are 5 games "in" already. It basically means I have 10 points to spend and I can't pick non-mundane stull, while the character is an accountant by trade.
This is a "Through the Looking-Glass" type of game. I was thinking about picking additional 2 levels of Gizmo (I've already have 1 from the start), but any ideas and suggestions are welcomed.
>>
Is caravan to Ein Arris + GURPS Lite a good first adventure enabler?
What about the return to Ein Arris add-on on the pyramid issue low tech 2?
>>
>>52509915
Depending on how strict your GM is, more than one Gizmo can either be a total waste of points or a magic life-saver. If GM's attitude is lax, single rank is enough to have.

If you don't already have it or aren't under Unfit, pick Fit. It's one of the best advantages one can have.
Damage Resistance is cheap and not fancy enough to disqualify a single rank from just about any person.
High Manual Dexterity is also very good and easy to justify.
Hell, you can even pick a talent for your skills with that amount of points.
Or Common Sense, since "Through The Looking-Glass" sounds like a sadistic GM waiting for players to make stupid mistake.
>>
Yo Gurpsgen: I'm throwing together an After the End TL 4/8 leadership campaign and while Low-tech and the supplements are covering pretty much everything the kits are a bit lacking, and...well. There is no price suggestions on actually making a workshop. All those tools for the smith aren't going to help without an actual furnace, or the builder without a kiln. Anyone got a reccomendation or price estimate I can work with?
>>
>>52512573
Calculate from historical sources like volume of bricks, mason work and etc.
Or handwave to >you lose week of work and make somehow good furnace at 50% cost of biggest kit.
>>
>>52507316
>dragons ruled over humans in the past
You haven't been reading The Dagger and Coin series by any chance, have you?
>>
>>52513135

Haven't even heard of it, friendo. I'm guessing that's the premise of those books?
>>
>>52513379
Very loosely, yes. I definitely recommend it.
>>
File: pinup_girl_handywork.gif (385KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pinup_girl_handywork.gif
385KB, 1024x768px
>>52513393

I'll pick that up then, thanks. The dieselpunk setting is actually a spinoff of the original setting. Same premise, but it took place at the very beginning of the end of Dragon dominance, around a TL comparable to the early 16th century of our world.

That setting was easy to run, since there was no magic, and the most unsuaul things present were flying mounts, strange creatures, and Dragons. Beyond that, there wasn't much to figure out.

With this Dieselpunk setting, though, I'm finding the increased TL offers a lot more options. Handheld telegram devices, crazy vehicles, robots, and even just moving picture cameras involve much more work than just plopping players in a low-fantasy world.
>>
Hey guys i had a request. i came here some time back asking for books and it was a great help. I'm putting boots to the ground on my character and could use some more nice books since I've gone through the ones recommended.

I'm playing a 1920's thief/mage/gadgeteer, i use illusion magics and gear made by me to steal stuff. a lot of the gear i made is just like a mini crossbow and a wrist mounted grappling hook.

what books can i use to improve this character at
- creating gadgets
- being a magic inventor

so far the books I've used are
- gurps magic
- core obviously
- power up: perks
- thaumatology

thanks in advance
>>
>>52513487
I assume there will be some things left around from the time of dragons they'll have to deal with? Or was it more of an abstract lore detail so you could have some sweet dragon-themed tech?
>>
>>52513596
"The Daighter of Neccessity" is a Pyramid article that redoes how inventions work; instead of picking gear out of a book, you build your custom gadget as a character, and the penalties, costs, and time for the inventing process is based of the invention's point value. It's much more freeform and better for zany cinematic gadgets (IIRC, the examples are all pulp and silver age stuff like rocket packs and knockback pistols).
>>
File: Sir_Dragon_by_sandara.jpg (314KB, 800x616px) Image search: [Google]
Sir_Dragon_by_sandara.jpg
314KB, 800x616px
>>52513879

The campaign will take place in human lands, who by now have had a long while of being independent from Dragons, and have a lot of technology they made themselves.

I hadn't thought of it, by I suppose Dragon tech could be considered more advanced in an experimental sense. Like, prototypes of weird science that may or may not work, such as genetic engineering, hovercars, and guns with caseless ammunition.

Originally, I had envisioned the Dragons as the representation of old, European-style monarchies and empires, whose ideas and technology weren't keeping pace with the modern, ever-changing world, where land no longer became just your property, but a nation with an identity.
>>
>>52512573
Low Tech companion 3: Daily life and Economy.

It has all the data, equations and what not you need. While they don't provide exact prices, you can easily calculate them. Easy =/= short, since it's bunch of page flipping to get both material prices and workers wages, but it's all within the same supplement.

I highly recommend reading it in-depth, since it's one of the better crafting supplement, if not the best one.
>>
How possible would it be to scale Spaceships down to SM 0 or even smaller? I want to let the gadgeteer PC in my group invent robots but don't want a) points-based design like DoN mentioned above or b) require them to bust out 3e's stuff.
>>
>>52508028
>>52508905
>>52508905

It's weird, I LIKE the metasetting--though I cooked up something simular for a magic comes back campaign. I might steal the reincarnation bit for another campaign.

But welded to the dieselpunk? Yeah, that's horrible. One or the other.

>>52510795
>Is caravan to Ein Arris + GURPS Lite a good first adventure enabler?

If that's the flavor you want, yes. Personally, it's not my bag so yeah.

>>52513596
What >>52514519 said, it's in 3/46 I think, and I'm getting it
>>
>>52515454

Guys, I can't DL from the archive, someone might grabbing it and slapping Pyramid 3/46 up here?
>>
File: Pyramid 3-46 Weird Science.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid 3-46 Weird Science.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>52515686
here ya go, as soon as he told me to get it i grabbed it.

but also the mega archive is glitching out for me too
>>
File: 1458258755668.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1458258755668.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52517224
i also saw this and wasn't sure if it was needed or not
>>
>>52437836
What is the "wounding multiplier" that the hit location page references? I can't find it.
>>
also grabbed this one but the size is too big for 4chan >>52501819

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive?ths=true

it should work, i uploaded it to google drive. if not then let me know, ill upload anywhere ya tell me to
>>
>>52517292

wrong link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxd2patU-1XEVmNvRkVWdFhscEE/view?usp=sharing
>>
>>52517274
BS268
>>
>>52501819
- revolver with liquid filled bullets
- gas grenades that are re-usable
- liquid filled knife
- toxin/liquid filled arrows /crossbow if you want silence
- glove with 5 toxins containers in it that inject 1 on contact
- blowdart chain gun
- the book covers breakable bolas
- elixir filled suicide bomb vests for your zombies
>>
>>52517384
So if someone gets hit with a cutting attack the damage after DR is increased by 50% for a 1.5x modifier?
>>
>>52517661

It depends on hit location and applicable injury tolerance, but generally speaking yes.
5 cutting damage to a human torso with 3 DR means 2 cutting damage gets through. multiplied by 1.5, it results in 3 injury.
>>
>>52517224
Thank you!

>>52517274

Oh god, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who forgets the multipliers. I don't think they even have it on the GM screen.

>>52517661

Yes, that's right.
>>
>>52517829
speaking of which, is there something that has readily available info like hit locations modifiers and a bunch of other stuff you refer to in combat? my GM could really use it when he starts running
>>
can someone clarify exactly what extra attack does. I've never played gurps and I'm not sure if it means when you do the attack maneuver you just get two rolls or what? also I'm not 100% on maneuver but i figure ill learn as i go.
>>
>>52518055
>speaking of which, is there something that has readily available info like hit locations modifiers and a bunch of other stuff you refer to in combat? my GM could really use it when he starts running

GM screen has that at least, I think.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vo3aBTs2W7UExsUEZGNjdJejg/view

http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/pdf/GURPSCombatCheatSheet.pdf
>>
File: Cheatsheet.pdf (304KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Cheatsheet.pdf
304KB, 1x1px
>>52518055
>>
>>52518257
When you do an attack maneuver, you get an extra attack
It has to be with a ready weapon, and still follows all the usual rules for attacks.

So if I have E.A. and on my turn I shoot my pistol at someone (with my ready gun, fired from my right hand, etc.etc.) I can also make my extra attack. I could punch a guy with my off hand, or kick someone, or whatever else.
>>
Where the hell are the rules on installing smaller/larger systems in a spaceship? I can't freaking find it.
>>
>>52517661
Yes. This is mostly used to simulate whole stopping power vs penetration thing.
>>
>>52517224
>>52517248
>>52515686

Seriously, what's wrong? Is anyone else having a Mega problem? Like, the download won't even do that little 'getting your file ready' thing to make you wait before giving you the file to DL. I tried it in chrome and with the extension.
>>
>>52507089

How many points would be too many?
>>
>>52521475
depends on the power level and goal of the setting.

200 is base for dull as fuck games
1000 is base for god level games
5000 is too many no matter what
>>
>>52521580
>200
>dull as fuck
Hold up m8, what.
>>
>>52521475
Ignore >>52521580, they're clinically retarded.

Too many points depends entirely on your game's needs. If you're new to the system, I suggest starting at 100~150 points, with up to -50 in disadvantages and -5 in quirks. It gives you enough to make an adventurer who is great at their niche and competent for general tasks.

I don't suggest starting at point totals above 250 (Action and Dungeon Fantasy start at this total), especially without templates, since people won't know what to do with all of their points.
>>
File: EATSHIT.png (758KB, 868x620px) Image search: [Google]
EATSHIT.png
758KB, 868x620px
How do you model the dexterity and health of big things?
A 20m tall mech built as a character, for example. 100 STR seems reasonable for a SM 6 thing. But I have no idea for the other two stats.
>>
>>52521580
>200 is base for dull as fuck games
For 200 points I can make two half decent characters. Or one super soldier. Or low-tier Super.

Not my fault you are bad at making characters
>>
>>52521812
>But I have no idea for the other two stats.
It's exactly same as with small characters. In fact, many vehicles have quite low HT to represent their vulnerability and unreliability. ST is only stat that tends to scale indefinitely.
>>
>>52521812
I think there's a fan made thing called Gulliver's that gives recommended DX and HT changes for humanoids of non-zero SMs.
>>
>>52522133
good characters is not the same, i can make a good character with only 100 points. I'm saying the game is dull if its 200 points.
>>
>>52521812

Assuming it animu scales (Ie, giant mechs move as if they were people)Take reduced Manual dexterity
>>
File: why.gif (4MB, 426x214px) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
4MB, 426x214px
>>52523534

Why?
>>
Hey its the plague doctor guy from >>52501819

i just went through the skills section and wrote down EVERYTHING with the intention of Widdling it down. are there any of these that i can immediately get rid of or can be phased out by another?

Sleight of hand (p.221)
Herbal Lore (p. 199)
Alchemy (p.174)

Bio-engineering (p.180)
Biology (p.180)
Chemistry (p.183)
Erotic Art (p. 192)
Exorcism (p.193)
First aid (p.195)
Fast Talk (p.195)
Guns (p. 198)
Interrogation (p.202)
Melee Weapon (p.208)
Observation (p.211)
Occultism (p.212)
Pharmacy (p.213)
Physician (p.213)
Search (p.219)
Stealth (p.222)
Surgery (p.223)
Weird Science (p.228)
>>
>>52524365
>inb4 erotic art is useless

thats a lie, I'm new and even i understand the supreme importance of erotic art
>>
>>52524365
You don't need to give us page numbers
Maybe you should instead give us your levels in the skills? Post a character sheet?
>>
>>52524731
these are just ripped from my notes, the page numbers are for me, sorry.

i have 0 levels in these skills, I'm just starting the character now, we have 250 pts and 100 in disadvantages. i spent 40 into +2Int and +2Dex, haven't spent any other points yet.
>>
File: actymrhd4h8y.jpg (556KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
actymrhd4h8y.jpg
556KB, 960x720px
>>52522133
I prefer 250 for high power characters because it opens up a lot of characters that aren't well optimized, like many Monster Hunters PCs.
>>
File: blank_expression.png (45KB, 744x651px) Image search: [Google]
blank_expression.png
45KB, 744x651px
>>52524800

> 250 pts
> 100 in disadvantages
> Average Dungeon fantasy game
>>
>>52524800
>>52524849

100 points in disadvantages is a lot unless you've got a bunch of setting/required disadvantages.
>>
>>52524849
its not dungeon fantasy. were playing >>52502086
and we've been gathered for a race across the united states.

the reason for 250 and 100 is because were already accomplished people whose names are worthy of adding to the race, were not just farmer #5, I'm THE GREAT REMACHE DE L'ORME
>>
>>52524886
250 total is normal for Dungeon Fantasy, but the 100 points in disadvantages makes it sound like you're a bunch of dysfunctional weirdos and freaks. More so than usual, I mean.
>>
>>52524955
ah i see, were allowed up to 100 points but i think I'm not going to go past 50, i dont wanna cripple myself
>>
Okay, anyone played Reign of Steel? I'm playing a game right now and the GM is playing Zone Washington as pretty much all human cities being the same (Except for 1/20th the regular pop and only the major cities have a population).

Mag Lev lines take human workers back and forth from the cities to different factories and resource sites (mines, farms, etc).

Basically outside of the robots, there are no robofacs or citadels.

Is this correct? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Can someone who's played the setting elaborate, pls?
>>
>>52525109
It's a valid way to run Washington Zone. I don't quite picture it like that, but you could. Remember that every GM is going to see things a bit differently
>>
Also, can someone explain techniques to me. i know theyre not the hard, but the writers of gurps went out of their way to make things sound as difficult as they could while still being plainly obvious.
>>
>>52525771
Techniques are specific, nonstandard things you can do with a skill; often a penalty is associated with doing these things. You can reduce the penalty by buying up the technique, for [Amount of Penalty Negated] points for an average technique or [Amount of Penalty Negated + 1] points for a hard technique. You may not be able to buy off the whole penalty, or you may be able to raise a technique over the base skill, depending on the technique.
>>
File: 1401451237457.jpg (149KB, 655x720px) Image search: [Google]
1401451237457.jpg
149KB, 655x720px
>>52525771
Techniques are special things you can, often requiring special conditions. Many of these things can be done by anyone.

Let's take Kick, for example. Anybody can kick with a Striking skill that covers kicks (Brawling and Karate) you can roll Brawl or Karate -2.

The Kick technique lets you buy off that -2. You have to pick what it's based on (Karate or Brawl for most characters) then you can buy it up. It's cheaper then buy a level of the skill.

The Kick technique can't be higher then the skill it's based on, so once you have two levels of it and you are kicking at Brawl or Karate -0 then you can't buy any more of that technique.

In most cases techniques have a Default, where they start at zero points, a Difficulty that determines how much it cost to buy levels in it and a Maximum, how high it can be relative to the skill it's based on.
>>
>>52513487
Hey, I remember this game. I'm glad to see you are up to things again, I hope you have good luck with it. Rebirth Reborn?
>>
>>52514519
hey what do you do if the points are negative? like

Pocket Air Tank
-594 points
This 7”-long air tank and mouthpiece give a six-minute air
supply for a full-size human. (Extra levels of Breath-Holding
are used to scale up the duration to compensate for size.)
Attributes: ST 0 [-100]; DX 0 [-200]; IQ 0 [-200]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage N/A; BL N/A; HP 4 [8];
Will 0 [0]; Per 0 [0]; FP N/A [0]; Basic Speed 2.50 [0]; Basic
Move 0 [0]; SM -6.
Advantages: Breath-Holding 5 [10]; Compartmentalized Mind
(Controls) [25]; Damage Resistance 2 (Can’t Wear Armor, -
40%) [6]; Doesn’t Breathe [20]; Doesn’t Eat or Drink [10];
Machine [25].
Disadvantages: Blindness [-50]; Deafness [-20]; Mute [-25]; No
Sense of Smell/Taste [-5]; No Legs (Portable) [-30]; No
Manipulators [-50]; Numb [-20].
>>
>>52526896
IIRC, you add 600 to their value to find the Complexity, which is the basis for most things in the system.
>>
>>52527304
ahh, thank you
>>
>>52526896
Why would you stat up equipment as a character?
>>
>>52529360
see >>52514519
and >>52517224
>>
File: tumblr_oj24romtnT1r9uonxo1_1280.jpg (261KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oj24romtnT1r9uonxo1_1280.jpg
261KB, 752x1063px
>>52503179
>Kromm: The GURPS is a pathway to many campaigns some consider to be unnatural.
>>
>tfw group is filled with d&drones
>they are too dumb to use GURPS
At least i never get asked to DN
>>
>>52531826
There is the Dungeon Fantasy box set coming in the fall that could work as a gateway drug.
>>
>>52531867
They are brainlets.
>>
>>52531867
>Making yet another D&D from GURPS is something good
>>
>>52531826
>Griping at people to switch systems
>When you're not DMing
>In the middle of someone else's campaign
>Acting butthurt when they say "no"

Bruh. If you want GURPS, be willing to run it instead of demanding the GM do it for you, and wait until the current campaign is wrapped up rather than ask people to drop everything they've been working on in favor of running something new for you.
>>
>>52531993
It's a foot in the door. It's enough to show that the system is fun and can handle one of the most iconic styles of games in an enjoyable way rather than be 100% Autistic Reality Simulator: Now With Dice.
>>
>>52532029
I am. But they dont want to play GURPS or anything harder than 5e.
>hey guys Ill dm GURPS!
>NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
That is why I said at least I wont have to DM
>>
>>52532079
Oh shit my bad. I've seen a good number of people as players try and get groups to switch systems (to GURPS or otherwise) in the middle of a campaign, and I just sort of assumed.
>>
>>52532079
You are the GM.
As far as I'm concerned, it's MUCH easier to find new players than find new GM. And for them not being butthurt - run a bunch of one-shorts from all different games. This way they themselves will either get along the idea, or get out from the group.
Either way - your win and also maybe theirs if they stick around.
>>
>>52531993
Son, I've got more people hooked with DF to GURPS than with all other methods combined. People dig this shit, because it appears to them like every other entry-tier fantasy themed RPG, rather than being this massive toolbox that they can't even wrap their heads around. Fuck it, I even gutted GCS tables to make them LESS crammed when getting people into GURPS, because there was still a lot of content, but not suffocating fuckload of it.

New players, especially those you are convincing from different systems, need a bit of propaganda. And DF is probably the most effective trick you can pool on your players. Because you start running it like it was D&D, but with 3d6 instead of d20 and then they THEMSELVES start getting invested in the system, searching for options, making spells, inventing techniques and looking for most suitable skills and advantages.
In short - they get invested.

So yeah, making another D&D from GURPS is something not just good, but fantastic. Works like a fucking charm for getting people play GURPS without getting memes about difficulty, complexity or shit like that.

Bonus round - GURPS wasn't even published in my country, so people had to dig through untranslated books. And they still enjoyed it.
>>
File: IMG_1401.gif (29KB, 619x517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1401.gif
29KB, 619x517px
>>52508905
I'd be interested playing in it, dreamworld included. The sort of pseudo-gnostic thing it has going with trapped reincarnation, "fake" people, and layered reality hits a lot of things I like in meta-plots.

I agree that it's probably best to focus on the dieselpunk post-dragon world though, as it would be very easy to screw up the rest of idea in a ttrpg.

Subtle hints and nods to the dream concept might be nice though, if only for the fun of deja vu moments and having character occasionally feel like they *know* somebody without ever having met them.
>>
>>52525233
How do you picture it?
>>
>>52532724

My first reaction is "Holy Shit, Cancer."

Not to DF, but the players have it that they need DF to get them interested.

Though the stripped down complexity is a good thing for introducing them to it--I wonder if flavoured GURPS Lite might be a viable thing...Or if they'll start producing DF-like splats for other genres--most everything is already written, they'd just have to reorganize it (Ads, Disads, skills for the theme) and add fluff and lenses.

>Bonus round - GURPS wasn't even published in my country, so people had to dig through untranslated books. And they still enjoyed it.

Oh man, yeah, this is totally a thing. I know someone who had an RPG group in Japan like, more than a decade ago, I think they were running a Fair Folk game.
>>
>>52533706
>I wonder if flavoured GURPS Lite might be a viable thing
Two words for you:
Zombie games

And I think you've missed my point a bit - I use DF specifically to get people hooked on GURPS. Then they get invested, then they've realise how flexible and vast the system is, but already are "in", so they start searching on their own and soon after you are running that Reign of Steel campaign you had prepared originally, but due to the whole long con you now have a new group of players that want themselves to use GURPS.

As contradicting as it might sound, cons and mind games are probably the easiest way to get people into GURPS than trying to, say, appeal to logic.
>>
>>52534498
>As contradicting as it might sound, cons and mind games are probably the easiest way to get people into GURPS than trying to, say, appeal to logic
S'truth
>>
>>52525109
Like the other anon said, a lot depends on how you interprete all the provided data. Consider following elements, all presented in the setting fluff
>Long-going depopulation project run by AIs for over a decade years
>Washington Zonemind being relatively poor in robo-manpower and factories in initial stages
>The state is run in increasingly totalitarian and distopian fashion
>All people that are still alive are mostly focused on doing "menial" jobs, ie what the Zonemind needs from them to do (note the quotation mark, it's important here)
>There are vast areas that aren't exactly controlled by anyone within the zone, since "loyal" population is relatively small and tight packed in specific areas and everything else is not populated and not controlled by AI either
>Denver is the neighbour, one of the most oppressive Zoneminds in existence, so it definitely affects population on both sides of the border
So it's all up to interpretation how you all measure it, BUT since you asked for opinions:
I like to have my Washington akin to "the glass is half-full". The AIs were killing humans with engineered plagues for years. Obviously the remaining population, even if corralled again into specific areas, will be a motley crew of what was left. There is what? 12 million people alive? For entire East Coast? That means you are more likely to have them focused in resource and manufacture sites than anywhere else. So think rather about medium-sized towns, 5k pop, as "typical". They will all be related with local industry, because that's what for Washington has people around - to use them as workers. Really VAST areas will be completely left with no humans there. And there is Denver and people escaping from there, trying to both get somewhere safe and to survive. So they can either squat in the "wild zones" or even try to enter Washington society. Hell, you can even play up the angle of Washington doing a minor action to "help" humans escaping from Denver to gain manpower
>>
>>52534636
>decade years
I mean decade... I guess I need to finally get some sleep
>>
File: 901.jpg (271KB, 816x639px) Image search: [Google]
901.jpg
271KB, 816x639px
>>52534636
Expanding on this
>Washington needs manpower
>Washington neeed incite loyalty in its humans
>Washington wants to hurt Denver, since all Zone Minds never heard about non-zero sum game
What will work better than organising, top secret and all, a human resistance group, busy infiltrating Denver, rescuing humans and helping fighting with Denver? It has following benefits:
+ Washingtonians see that their AI is truly "their"
+ Soldiers/operatives working in Denver can tell the horrible stories how god-awful the life outside Washington is
+ More humans in case of rescue
+ Attacks on Denver's installations and keeping it under pressure, while having own hands clean

That's what I did with my players, but never explained them that Washington is still evil AI trying to conquer the world like every other Zonemind. They bought the in-game con on meta-level.
But honestly, I think the above solves 2/3 of all problems the vanilla description of Washington has. It's portrayed as HIGHLY inefficient in managing and placating own population, instead using such basic techniques and ruses. The remaining 1/3 is about not running propaganda campaigns and providing financial/material benefits for having kids, instead simply trying to force people into procreation. I mean it's a totalitatian AI running totalitarian state and it's like it never heard about Hitler and his 2+4 families, with combination of financial and cultural initiative to procreate. How hard it would be to spin a propaganda of "Let's repopulate the Earth" and "get your new housing unit free of charge if you have 4 kids"
Then just adjust teaching and schooling and within 10 to 15 years you both placated humans remembering the world "before" and having perfectly loyal new generation, that is raised to treat your rule as something normal AND beneficial. It takes 5 minutes to figure out entire scheme and yet Washington didn't figure it out for past 15 years.
>>
alchemist from before. can i get some ideas of concoctions? I've got so far

- basic stat upgrades
- Healing concoction
- accelerated time sense
- various poison/toxin
- acid in a flask
- freeze water

I know theres endless choices but I'm blanking!
>>
>>52536396
Firebreath potion. Drink potion, exhale fire.
>>
>>52534537

For me it was "Hey I want to play a tabletop RPG. I'm using GURPS. Wanna play?" to a bunch of my non-tabletop playing friends.
>>
>>52536396

You can find a lot of inspiration from real-world transmutation and purification-focused alchemy instead of pop-culture "magical chemist" alchemy, but that would sort change the tone of your character and I don't think that's what you're going for.

- Smoke grenade.
- Flashbang grenade, probably feels more mystical if it comes with a duration and is a brightly burning phosphorous-style attack.
- Bottled decay. As a corrosive attack for example.
- Living metal. As a twisting, writhing knife or sword, a binding attack thrown at an enemy, or even an ally companion? Or maybe you pour it over your skin or clothes to get Damage Resistance until it flakes off.
- Cold fire. A flask containing a cool, ever-burning liquid could be a 1 point Accessory perk and function as a torch. Flavor/utility item.
>>
>>52536656
As you pointed out, it works only when you are facing people green to the hobby. Average newb learns as one of first thing that "GURPS is too complex duurrr" and remains an eternal scrub.
So for those people you need a ruse.
>>
Holy fuck, I'm so glad I basically downloaded all the 4E and 3E books, because Mega is being a punk. Pity about the pyramid.
>>
>>52539360
Wait, what?
Server error or they've delated it?
>>
>>52539562
>Wait, what?
>Server error or they've delated it?

Oh man, didn't mean to frighten you.

No, Mega just won't work for me, I can't even create an account. Click DL and nothing happens, not even a notification of queueing up.

Previews/thumbnails won't load either, now that I think of it.

People have complained of similar stuff on this thread and the general PDF share one.
>>
>>52540010
Not sure if that might be your issue, but have you tried using Chrome for that? I can't access Mega myself, unless I use Chrome
>>
Bit of an old article but what are your feelings on this?

http://mu.ranter.net/pen-and-paper-gaming-adventures/how-do-gurps-and-why-it-sucks-anyway

I think he's got a bit of a point, maybe going the route that SJG did with the DF box set might be the way to go moving forward.
>>
File: 1483389715753.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1483389715753.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
Hello everyone.
A few threads ago I posted asking for help with an All Tomorrows campaign (or maybe I made a thread, can't remember)

I've found a group who have never played GURPS. The way I've decided to run it is to create several preset characters, and then let the players choose which one they want to play.

I have 8 different characters to choose from now:
- snake person pilot
- killer folk archaeologist
- saurosapient commander
- pterosapient chemist
- assymetric person mercenary
- symbiote medic
- satyriac diplomat
- Bug facer special ops

Thoughts? I'm going to work on the character sheets later, but is this a good format to start them out? Should I leave them 'X' points and let them pick some personality traits?

I have All Tomorrows attached if there's anyone who still hasn't read it yet
>>
>>52540065

I did try Chrome, it didn't work, but I just did it again and now it's okay. What I did was load the main mega page, then some invalid mega urls, then the archive I wanted.

*just dowloads all of the pyramid folder*

Mm, feels god
>>
>>52540385
You always want to allow for a little customization. Day the last 10% of a sheet. 15 of a 150 character
>>
I've never run GURPS before, but it looks like my best bet for running a campaign fusing a primarily super-tech world with fantasy elements (magic, spirits, and so forth). I don't want to do Shadowrun or Rifts because they go full retard with the supernatural, and I'd like to keep it more low-key.
What are the 1 or 2 most important books I should be looking for besides the Core sets? I'm thinking Horror and Thaumatology, but there's so much (and they're so goddamn expensive - $25 for a pdf? really?) that it's really not possible for me to buy and peruse every single one.

Any GURPS vets that can help me out?
>>
>>52540385
I worry some PCs may be dead in the water. A good chunk of them are very combat- or at least adventure-ready, but unless you mean "Indiana Jones" when you say Archeologist and "Gadgeteer Alchemist" when you say Chemist, those two seem to be focused on things most PCs will find useless.
>>
>>52534636
>that's what for Washington has people around - to use them as workers.

Which is a good point - but I think that is misses the real value that Washington could potentially get from them.

SAI and LAI have a lot of advantages over humans, but their IQ ranges are broadly similar, and the infrastructure to support an SAI-12 is much larger and riskier (given the real risk of rogue smartbots).

It'd be a dangerous game for the paranoid, and it's probably best to steer them clear of anything related to actual programming - but having a few thousand motivated human engineers would be a tremendous boost to the raw creativity you can throw at problems.
>>
>>52543662
Which Washington also does if I recall fluff correctly. It's basically the cheapsteak of the setting. It's cheaper, easier and more efficient to integrate humans into own ranks and convince them - even if poorly - to work for the Zonemind than waste resources like all other Zoneminds for human extermination, while in the same time also having material and manufacturing shortages. So rather than building 1000 bots to pacify local remnants of humanity, Washington plays the "good uncle" and provides them with everything.

When I said "menial" I meant that stuff like art or literature is no longer studied nor can make you a living, because all wages are controlled by the AI, so the jobs are all about practical stuff.
But then again, comapred with the state of affairs in other Zones, this is still fucking heaven, because you can have a job at all and have a semi-comfortable living with healthcare, food, shelter and what not. And unlike London, here you have a functional government and society that doesn't have to live on scraps, but is in cooperation with the Zonemind.
>>
>>52543115
>>52543404
I was going for a mix of Firefly, Mass Effect and Star Gate SG-1, so I'm hoping that everyone will be useful.

But yes, as you note the academics will have combat abilities as well.
>>
>>52543363
You can check archive and buy what you find the most useful afterwards.
Fantasy is pretty good for worldbuilding, although less relevant for futuristic settings.
I generally recommend Action 2 for simplified rules even if you run different genre.
Thaumatology and Horror are both good if that's what you want, so it won't be mistake either.
>>
>>52521797

How about 300 points to add a buffer?
>>
Which book has the table to see how much collateral damage your superpowers are causing?
>>
>>52545369
Up to you. DF and Action have good templates that work for a broad range of games, so it's not like the players need a buffer, but you can certainly add on 50 points of stuff in the form of lens and races.
>>
>>52472356
If you want GURPS, you're going to have to run it yourself.
>>52472356 has the right idea. Find a bunch of dudes that play Magic at your TTstore, ask them if they want to play in your game. Most of them want to, but nerds can't into social skills, so they don't know how to ask.

Get a fun, pulpy campaign going, keep it fast and relaxed, boom. You've just created GURPS converts.
Source: done this myself 2 or 3 times.

>>52503179
You're a legend. Best thing to ever come out of these threads.
>>
Are there any other pre-made adventures for Dungeon Fantasy out there besides Mirror of the Fire Demon? Like a conversion of the Temple of Elemental Evil?
>>
>>52546105
You have wonderful pathfinder adventure paths, lots of nice dnd modules written since 1980s, why you not use them?
>>
>>52437836
I just realized I can get (some) GURPS books on demand through Amazon, which is awesome, as I dont have any of them in hardcopy.

Anyways:
I've heard RPM mentioned several times. For that do I just need Thaumatology, or do I need the standalone RPM supplement as well?
>>
>>52547022
RPM is standalone. Thaumatology can be used for some parts (especially decanics), but is not required.
>>
>>52547073
Oh! Good to know!

So, what exactly does Thaumatology add to a game using RPM?
>>
>>52547103
Dunno. Decanic Trappings and probably some modifiers, like Corrupting, but I don't really use either.
>>
I'm fucking around with a few 'Folk Magic' ideas.

Small effects, I think the strongest one would probably be something like a directed Serendipity that you can use once a day to get one meal and a moderately safe place to sleep. Or maybe Luck for one specific kind of roll (a charm to ward off disease)

I'm thinking of organizing it as one part Spheres and one part Paths.

They're the same thing, but...

Points put into the Sphere=how many spells you can know from its path. (or maybe just go by level?)

Rolling vs the Sphere = general signs and symbols that can let you hack together a weaker charm. Or figure out 'lucky' spots (give a penny to this goddess statue and you'll find a dry place to sleep tonight.)

Thoughts?

And what kind of Sphere's should I have? Food, Travel, Saftey. Should sleeping spaces be under safety or not?
>>
File: GURPSGENShitposter.png (34KB, 450x418px) Image search: [Google]
GURPSGENShitposter.png
34KB, 450x418px
>>52545677
>You're a legend. Best thing to ever come out of these threads.
>>
>>52547120
Getting the Power Ups series is generally better than buying ever supplement you can for just the mechanics.
>>
Placing an amazon order right now:

Is GURPS Magic worth getting?

How much do I need GURPS High Tech?
>>
>>52548339
High Tech is great for if you really like realistic guns, or want to do a gear focused game like realistic exploration/ adventuring in the 19th century.

Magic isn't bad, but it's not needed if you don't intend to use the GURPS Basic Set magic much. You can skip it to save money, for many games.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.