[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 307
Thread images: 25

File: Ion_Age.jpg (143KB, 750x552px) Image search: [Google]
Ion_Age.jpg
143KB, 750x552px
Not-Not-Not-Spartan edition.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread >>52282715
>>
Anyone know a manufacturer that makes Warcraft style troll miniatures?

Would really love to find some for a SBH warband
>>
Can I talk about Guild Ball here?
>>
>>52405811
I don't see why not.
>>
>>52405286

What game?
>>
>>52405483
Sorry mate, can't think of any off the top of my head.
>>
>>52406368

It's the file name.
>>
>>52406465

Ohh well... shit.
>>
>>52406759
Shit what?
>>
>>52406948
he feels stupid for being unable to read the file name

ANYWAYS

is necromunda /AWG/ ?
What about GW's necromunda reboot shadow war: armageddon?
>>
>>52407180
>is necromunda /AWG/ ?
Nope
>>
>>52407260
so just necromunda clones are welcome here? ok, bye
>>
>>52407260
>Nope
>>52405286
>and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).
>>
Anyone here ever thought about going through all the trouble and what not just to make the game and system you'd really want to play? Making the rules, designing the rough of how your models would look, writing the lore for little universe?

Honestly really thinking about it trying to sit down and make "my game" and see if I could get some friends to do some demo games of it.
>>
>>52407318
bye
>>52407418
>>and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread
They have 40k general.
>>
>>52407547
Already working on it. Been pitching rules ideas in here regularly.
>>
>>52407575
>>>and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread
>They have 40k general.

I assure you 40k general has nothing to do with necromunda
>>
Anyone know where you can get cheap 1/144 vehicle stowage? I've been pricing up a Black Talon army for Heavy Gear and they seem to be DOUBLE SECRET GORILLA WAR OPERATORS in mech form. Thus I want to make them as tacticool as possible.

And on that note does anyone do scenic hex bases, or should I just stick round base toppers to the bases?

While we're talking HGB I drove myself into an autistic death spiral yesterday trying to work out whether a Railgun is better than a Tank Gun....
>>
>>52408038
>I assure you 40k general has nothing to do with necromunda
>what Shadow War game are
>>
>>52405483
Sadly no, but in case you find one, please tell.

>>52407547
I started working on a Thirty Years War skirmish. I started writing like a dozen games already, but didn't finish a single one. I want to do this one, and if it works well, it can be expanded into fantasy as well.

>>52408238
I don't know if anyone makes stowage that small, but maybe you can get away using small stowage pieces in 1:100 I suppose.

>>52408745
Yes, and I guess on their website, or at least that's where I got it from last time.
>>
>>52408238
Try Minigigs, Pendraken and Takara.
>>
>>52408754
>>52408750
I just found this:

http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product/15mm-assorted-stowage-pk-of-30/

It looks perfect, I can make Liefeld-esque nightmares to my heart's content.
>>
>>52408923
Skytrex also make nice stowage, tarps are jerry cans are good, but the little crates are especially nice if that's what you fancy. They are all fairly small and neat too, so shouldn't look out of place at 1/144
http://www.skytrex.com/68-vehicle-stowage
They have your pants down over shipping costs though
>>
>>52409067
I'm in the UK so it doesn't seem that horrible for postage.

That's a great find, thanks.
>>
>>52409123
/swg/ can probably help you out with Armada better than we can. There was a guy here last thread who unboxed runewars, but I don't know if anyone's played it yet.
>>
Can someone give me a quick rundown on VOID and Urban War? Did someone just buy the old sculpts and then start making new ones based off them? Same setting?
>>
>>52409184
Void was an approx. platoon level game, but when the company died, Urban Mammoth started doing Urban War, with pretty much the same people behind the wheels, the rules were similar, but this time as a skirmish game with a handful of figures per side.
>>
>>52409184

I-Kore made the VOID wargame, went bust. Same people formed Urban Mammoth making skirmish game Urban War, which used some of the old infantry miniatures and some newer stuff, went bust. They also made Metropolis, which was a larger squad game for using your Urban War miniatures.

Now Scotia Grendel has the rights to Void 1.1, and sell the old range, like the dinosaur transports. Meanwhile, Urban War Game is the new company selling Urban War.

Most of the factions are the same, except UW has a new one for the setting.
>>
File: Viridian Behemoth.jpg (34KB, 479x453px) Image search: [Google]
Viridian Behemoth.jpg
34KB, 479x453px
>>52409349

IIRC these were metal, I'm sure they were a joy to assemble.
>>
Managed to snag a still in shrink wrap copy of the SST miniatures game from a shop in Italy. Now if only I could find rippler bugs.
>>
File: Train Scales railroad guages.gif (36KB, 499x237px) Image search: [Google]
Train Scales railroad guages.gif
36KB, 499x237px
>>52408238
maybe you could find something for model railroads. N gauge.
Kind of a wild guess though.

As for scenic bases the only company I know of makes them for a 28mm fantasy game.
Tabletop Art does them for The Dark Eye. Not sure if the size is right for heavy gear though, but some of the themes could for at the scale .I think.
>>
Lord of The Rings rule books. Any download links for them?
>>
>>52409381
Resin+metal parts.
>>
>>52409123
I did demos if rune wars and the other side at Adepticon.

Rune wars was better than I expected. The morale system was interesting, as was the order and modifier wheels. Also liked the simplicity of formation bonuses (width multiplies damage, depth provides rerolls) Sculpts were pretty decent as well (no prepainted or pre assembled)

TOS felt a bit like malifaux jr. I couldn't say I am regretting kickstarting it, but the demo did nothing to fan my excitement
>>
>>52409989
Fwiw I also demoed Arena Rex and Aetherium and loved the shot out of both.
Arena rex for the damage tree and plethora of repositioning that you can do during activations.
Aetherium for the tile manipulation, moving your guys by moving terrain was pretty cool.
>>
anyone have the Spectre Operations full pdf?

TY!
>>
File: Ravager & Blockheads.jpg (143KB, 1000x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ravager & Blockheads.jpg
143KB, 1000x400px
Got some Critical Mass stuff for Gruntz today. The resin mech's great, very little clean up needed.

>>52409184
UW 2nd ed is a great system with baller models and you should play it.

>>52409349
Did Urban Mammoth actually go bust? I thought they'd just handed over to Scottia Grendel as they were busy with Age of Tyrants?
>>
>>52411142

Neat looking little mechs there

Yeah, dissolved in 2014.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC259791
>>
>>52410664
Isn't there a dedicated thread for malifaux?

Either way - it's an easy game to start. Go download the rules PDF, get a deck of Fate Cards and a crew box for your faction that you like the look of, and get out there. One of the things I like best about Malifaux is it's one of those games you can just kinda dive in to with very low initial investment.
>>
>>52411142
Shame Critical Mass are going to stop trading in literally five days time.
>>
>>52411142
Are these the guys that just got picked up by Ral Partha? Been looking at their power armor for a while, to use as light mechs for 10mm scale.

Those guys are 15mm, right? That big mech actually looks a lot larger than I would have expected from browsing their site.
>>
>>52407547
I'm working on 2 right now.
One is partially because it will look really good in my portfolio that I made a board game, the other because I really want to make a twist on a "hunting" game that is inspired by Kingdom Death, but takes it in a more Monster Hunter route.

Other than that, I kind of want to figure out how to do translate a character based shooter like Overwatch into a board game/tabletop game format.
>>
File: scale comp.jpg (135KB, 1000x415px) Image search: [Google]
scale comp.jpg
135KB, 1000x415px
>>52411252
Huh fair. I just checked and Age of Tyrants is being made by Myriad Miniatures it seems? I think they briefly did distribution for Urban War?

>>52411267
As >>52411280 says, they got picked up by Ral Partha thankfully. Though I did buy these guys before that happened and didn't know if I'd ever be able to get hold of Critical Mass models.

>>52411280
Yeah, they are.
The Blockheads are a little on the small side for 15mm (compared to Ground Zero stuff), although they are all hunched over.
The one on the far left is Planetfall, which is 10mm. Might work.
>>
How good is Halo Ground Command?
>>
>>52407547
I wrote a good chunk of rules for a high school shounen battling skirmish game after drinking a load of rum and playing Trails of Coldsteel for several hours.

I wanted to make something of it.

Personal stuff meant I wasn't able to do any wargaming for a couple of months and so it sits unfinished.
>>
>>52411450
Ah, those rules seemed fun. It'd be nice if you finished it.
>>
>>52411485
I would definitely love to but the guy I was planning to do some playtesting with got screwed by shift patterns and I had a lot of family stuff get in the way of gaming time. Once I get a free weekend I'll have a go.
>>
Why arent Warhammer clones more popular? In the video game industry the almost most popular games in a genre are usually rip offs of the most popular one. But in tabletop world I fail to find even one remotely similar game to warhammer that would be easy to pick up games for around the country.
>>
>>52412113
For the same reason that Warhammer became unpopular and was replaced with AoS of course.
>>
>>52412113
Two reasons in my mind.

The tabletop landscape isn't structured like the video games industry where you're investing $100 million or more of a large multinational corporations money over a 2 year period. As a result playing it safe and making a sequel/prequel/interquel or clone of another game is pretty much the only thing that happens now.

I think it's harder for a company to come along and pretty much lift the rules from Warhammer and just make a different line of models and say it's their own thing. Bolt action is pretty much 4th edition 40k, but it's still pretty different with it's activation method and some other changes. With video games you can pretty much lift all the mechanics from Call of Duty, change some names/countries and you're not going to run afoul of patents like you presumably would with GW.
>>
>>52412113
Closest thing to that model that has any steam is probably Kings of War.

But honestly, I think people just realized that 28mm scale kinda sucks for Rank-n-File games. That style of game just works way better at 10mm or 15mm, where you can actually field really big impressive-looking armies without breaking the bank (or taking the time to paint it), and without having to find room for a 100 SF table in your basement. So most 28mm scale games these days are low model-count skirmishers.
>>
>>52412233
You are making good points. It just amazes me that so many people say that games workshop games suck and are looking for a close alternative, only to find that there is none and move to skirmish games. Warpath is the closest I can think of, the minis are good and reasonably priced yet it is dead af.
>>
>>52411403
>The Blockheads are a little on the small side for 15mm (compared to Ground Zero stuff), although they are all hunched over.
Yeah, they actually look like they'd work really well for the "heavy power armor" class of model at 10mm - somewhere between Planetfall's infantry and small mechs. My not-marines company has minis from about a dozen manufacturers in it already, what's one more? =)
>>
>>52411435
not
>>
>>52412113
because people don't want to paint 200 models of core before they're allowed to play the game
>>
I have totally moved on to skirmish level games, because they are so much easier on my wallet and I don't lose motivation to paint.

(And it's way easier for me to convince people to try out Guild Ball and invest like, the $80~ for a team, than to try and get them into 40k)
>>
>>52412233
you can't lift GW rules because they'll shut you down

even 9th age got shut down because they used the same rules but changed the words for everything

now 9th age is 100% fan driven and there's no structure to it, effectively driving the rules into a slump as any joe is allowed to make changes
The flip side is I wouldn't compare tabletop gaming to video games at all, we've seen lots of growth and lots of new games
>>
>>52412439
Warpath isn't dead, it's not actually launched its new version yet. It's up for preorder for 22nd April
>>
Looking for kings of war books, including the organized play supplement
>>
>>52408238
There is a truly ridiculous amount of stuff available for 1/144 gunpla, both first and third party. since gundams are bloody huge a lot won't be relevant, but there's definitely human scale accessories and stowage available.
>>
>>52412884
Is there a system that I can use my 1/44 Gunpla in?
>>
>>52413000
Osprey recently published a generic mech combat game.
Something Horizon.

Can't remember the name exactly shouldn't be hard to find though.
Had mixed reviews, worth giving a shot though if you want something like it.
>>
>>52412439
>dead
>not even released yet
Why are you this stupid
>>
>>52412837
Dig through the archives. There was a KoW dedicated thread with resources floating around.
>>
>>52412513
>I have totally moved on to skirmish level games, because they are so much easier on my wallet and I don't lose motivation to paint.
I'm in a similar place with 28mm. I love how with something like Malifaux, Guildball, or Infinity, I can just decide I want to play something, buy it for < $100, build and paint it over a weekend, and get it right on the table.

The only games I'm willing to build "big" armies for anymore are all 6mm or 10mm scale.
>>
>>52413000
Use some random fantasy/sf skirmish game on a big table, treating the mechs as people.
>>
More Egyptian renders for Dystopian Wars.
>>
>>52412533

>https://www.rpglibrary.org/articles/faqs/copyright.php
Actully, you could lift the rules. They arent protected by copyright, patents, or trade secrets laws. Just gotta rewrite the book, use none of their characters or IP, but the basic ruleset is not protected.

GW would still drag you to court, and kill you by outspending you though. It's perfectly legal, but the court system is broken enough to stop it happening.

But the ruleset itself is fair game if you think you can survive
>>
>>52413743
Painted up 120 dorfs for my Warhamster/KoW/9th Age army. Got beaten into a bloody pulp basically every game, and my figures died by the dozen. Why the fuck should I paint them if they'll be on the table for one turn max? I'd much rather spend my time on something that's worth it. Traded the fuckers for old Warzone metal.

Tho iunno...I have historical armies for big battles system like WAB and Black Powder. Mostly in 1:72. It's a manageable scale for me and can churn them out pretty quickly, but low model count skirmishes have a charm of their own too, Malifaux for example, and would like to try Legends of the Old West too.
>>
>>52413979
>KoW
>my figures died by the dozen

confirmed as someone who never played KoW

In KoW they're not ablative wound markers like WHFB
>>
>>52413000
Check out Gundam Skirmish.
>>
>>52414002
>I remove a unit after got charged and hacked to bits
>take off 20 figures at once

Oh by the heavens, it's not exactly two dozen! Shame on me, shame on my cow!
>>
>>52413945
I like 'em.
I've never understood why Spartan doesn't put out higher quality renders though.
>>
>>52413743
Yeah.
The only thing I kinda miss is the "Your dudes"-ness of something like Warhams, but honestly, the sculpts and background fluff in Guild Ball goes a long way in making me not care about that and totally buy into the characters.
>>
>>52414192
and getting a whole team for the price of 2 units of Skitarii.
That goes a long way.
>>
>>52414002
>Wounds are marked with a die/chit instead of by removing mans, blocks of infantry still live or die as a unit
>Thinks this is a meaningful difference
KoW's damage tracking is just a convenience thing, Anon. The game is still functionally a (massively improved) WHFB clone.
>>
>>52413979
>1:72. It's a manageable scale for me and can churn them out pretty quickly, but low model count skirmishes have a charm of their own too
Yeah, agreed. The two types are fueling two totally different needs.

These days I mostly scratch the itch for massed battles playing scaled-down beer-and-pretzels variants of KoW with our old warmaster minis. Works pretty well, for what it is.
>>
>>52414328
You can also say it's a more abstract way of representing units being destroyed because they break and rout, rather than in WHFB where they will often literally fight to the last man.

The latter always vaguely annoyed me because in real battles that basically never happened. Also WHFB was pretty coy about whether or not it was meant to have figure scaling.
>>
>>52414192
>the "Your dudes"-ness of something like Warhams
This is something I definitely miss about warhammer, along with the related "convert / kitbash everything" mentality. I got out of WHFB in late 6th / early 7th. At the time, everybody was doing still in that DIY story-driven mentality you see in books like General's Compendium and Storm of Chaos. Lots of fully-converted armies, scratchbuilt giant gribblies, and so on. That's something other games have really struggled to capture.
>>
>>52414382
I haven't played WHFB in a few editions, but when I did, it still had a morale system. Units would generally not fight to the last man, they'd lose a rank or so and then flee, to be run down or off the board. The end result was similar.

There were always a few fearless or berserk units that would do what you describe, but they were definitely the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>52414382
>Also WHFB was pretty coy about whether or not it was meant to have figure scaling.
Anyone who says one figure represents one man in Warhams is a fucking liar.
>>
>>52414460
Even then, compared to many historical battles the idea of losing say 20-25% of your guys (about one rank's worth) in direct combat was unlikely. The majority of casualties were caused after the unit had broken.
>>
>>52414422
Yeah, I have fully customized Inquisition army for 40k.
With the ressurection of Necromunda I can probably run them as a gang for that.

(I also lowkey made some of them just in the rare chance I ever get to play Inq28)
>>
>>52414048
Yeah, their renders, especially recently, do a shitty job of showing the models.
>>
>>52414460
Towards the end, it was an issue. 8th really had it with the Steadfast rules and Battle Standards letting you re-roll all morale checks, plus general power creep.
>>
>>52414894
Thankfully none of that applied to my Brets.

Fuck you GW, waited so long for a new fucking army book and we get fucking drink from a fucking cup to get a fucking re-roll, fucking fuck fuck fuck. Fuck.
>>
Barely looked at the universe for warzone resurrection and I've already fell in love with three of the factions. It's like they took the 70s and 80s and boiled it down into one awesome dystopian setting.
>>
>>52412640

Technically, it would be the third time it launches
>>
>>52416294
Second.
>>
>>52416321

Wasn't there a second edition a few years ago? The one that was more skirmish oriented? It had a Corporation trooper in the cover.
>>
>>52416410
If you mean Project Pandora: Grim Cargo, that was a boardgame.
>>
>>52414577
>Yeah, I have fully customized Inquisition army for 40k.
Hell yeah. I played Chaos Marines back in the day.

I think their army book had more options for unit loadouts than every current army put together. And most of it had no official models.
>>
>>52414521
Well, sure, but on the other hand, compared to historical battles... my general is riding a manticore and swinging a sword that weighs 35 pounds. So..

>>52414894
Gotcha. I wasn't there for that stuff... remember KoW was Alessio's baby. I don't think he was at GW for that, either. I've always seen KoW as being his "idealized" version of WHFB. Basically just took most of the good ideas that came out of specialist games, LotR, etc and blended them with the high concept of warhammer... trying to create the game WHFB 7th "should have been", if that makes sense.
>>
>>52416636
There was also Deadzone, which uses the same universe and a lot of the same minis. I was actually surprised when I saw they were redoing warpath, I'd kinda assumed they were just going to expand deadzone to replace it.
>>
>>52416636

No, I remember that one. The one I'm talking about was after the Plague was introduced, IIRC. They tried with model removal for casualties in that version of the ruleset.

Anyway, I'm somewhat dissapointed they chose Veer-myn over Zz'or for Deadzone Infestation and as a Warpath faction. Hard plastic space bugs would have been great. Since they hired Matt Gilbert their miniatures have improved a lot, both in quality and design
>>
>>52416690
When I get back to my main comp I'll see if I can't any pictures of the army.

So many Dark Eldar turned into acolytes.
So many....
>>
>>52417166
Can't find*
>>
>>52415197
Wonderful, isn't it?

What factions have caught your eye, mate?
>>
A month ago i saw someone posting a picture with warzone's upcoming stuff. I think i remember an illian vs something starter pack, does anyome have it or can help me find infos about the upvoming releases?
>>
>>52417648
Not him, but dark legion has a special charm, it really feels like it embodies the greatness of the setting to me.
>>
Does anyone here play Ion Age?
>>
>>52418164
Got a copy of the book (Patrol Angis, that is), haven't given it a try yet though.

I hoard rulesets.
>>
>>52418164
I don't know it, but would be interested in a rundown.
>>
>>52417648

Really fell in love with capitol, bauhaus, and the imperials.

just love their aesthetic. Hell, love the other factions too.
>>
>>52418502
Not that anon but I'll give it a go.

> Technically Ion Age is the name of the setting and company, the game is called Patrol Angis.
> 15mm platoon-scale scifi game, expandable up to ~company level with the Callsign Taranis expansion that also adds vehicles.
> play area varies between 2x2' to 4x4'.
> roll for initiative at the start of each turn, the winning roll equals the number of activation tokens both sides get for this turn (although the winner of the roll gets an extra token per platoon they control)
> Starting with the player with initiative, players take turns assigning activation tokens to their units to make them move, shoot, overwatch etc.
> Ranged fire is pretty deadly, armour will help but cover is what will really save you. The player with initiative also gets to choose which models are removed as casualties for both sides.
> Close combat is where armour becomes more important as cover doesn't apply. You can also fire into close combat, including with AoE weapons if you want to risk harming your own dudes.
> The game has a pretty fully-featured solo mode with a pseudo-AI system for the 'silent player'
> forces are selected to fit a predefined platoon structure, but there is a lot of customisation available with regards to equipment and how troops are organised within the platoon.
>>
>>52418927
Thank you very muvh, but i also saw the site has two other rulessets, aimed for their 28mm ranges. Which i am guessing are different,but would not bet on it.
>>
>>52419031
I can't really speak much on how those work, they're very old rulesets and the 28mm lines no longer get updated. The company has more or less totally moved their focus to the 15mm stuff.
>>
>>52419031
Also checking on their site i found out they make poster prints. Why don't more companies do that? I want a fucking collection of 90s/80s sci fi and fantasy poster.
>>
>>52418927
As for the setting:

> Overall, pretty Noblebright soft-scifi.

> In the DARK AND DIIIISTANT PAST (tm) humanity fought a horribly destructive war against the alien Khanate, which ended with the detonation of a superweapon that created vast clouds that made space travel dangerous, isolating large areas of the galaxy.

> The main faction are the Prydians, a feudal human society formed from a group of systems located in a gap between the clouds.
> Generally, each planet is ruled by a Marcher Baron, the Barons also elect a king or queen from amongst themselves to rule the whole precint.
> Life for the average joe is pretty good, all the hard work is done by robots (although sentient AI is super-duper banned)
> The army consists of planetary militia who are essentially defence volunteers and conscripts, the Muster who are professional soldiers and the Retained who are literal space knights
> Warfare follows very strict rules of chivalry to avoid civilian casualties and collateral damage, nobody wants to go back to how things were in the Khanate wars.
> There is currently a big civil war on after the king was killed fighting some rebellious fucktard of a baron. This is literally the Wars of the Roses in space with factions loyal to the Leagues of Canlaster and Yordan (who both have their own pretenders to the throne) as well as the daughter of the previous king.
>>
>>52419142
Other factions include:

> The Shia Khanate, the big bads who have come back after a scientific expedition dug TOO GREEDILY AND TOO DEEP (tm) and reactivated an ancient teleporter gate thing. They use legions of various different slave races and are generally here to fuck shit up.

> The Xin Hegemony, chinese space merchants who have recently made contact with Prydia as the clouds slowly clear up. They have neat stuff like warrior monks and giant gorilla battlesuits.

> The Prang, an alien race who first made contact as pirates raiding a distant Prydian colony. Eventually the actual Prang army showed up, apologised for the whole pirate thing and offered to help fight the Khanate.

Since only the Muster and Retained have rules in the book, the rules for all the other stuff is currently available as free pdfs.
>>
>>52419226
>>52419142
Thank you again, i am actually getting interested, you named platoons. Is it a platoon level game?
>>
>>52419323
Generally your forces are organised around platoon lines, but there is a bit of flexibility.

Also the expansion book makes it easier to run games with multiple platoons per side if you want to.
>>
Calling the Kowfag!

Have a tournament in few days and I have been testings lists like crazy. This is the final list and I'm wondering if its any good for the tournament (as soo far I have tested it by newbs).

Shield Wall - Regiment
Sp 5 Me 4 Ra - De 4 At 12 Ne 13/15

Heavy Pike Block - Horde -Ensnare, Elite, Phalanx
Sp 5 Me 4 Ra - De 4 At 30 Ne 21/23

Pole-arms Block - Troop -Crushing Strength (1)
Sp 5 Me 4 Ra - De 3 At 10 Ne 9/10

Knights - Troop -Headstrong, Thunderous Charge (2)
Sp 8 Me 3 Ra - De 5 At 8 Ne 11/13

Mounted Seargants - Regiment -Nimble, Thunderous Charge (1)
Sp 9 Me 4 Ra - De 4 At 14 Ne 13/15
+ Pathfinder

Hero - Large Cav. -Fly, Crushing Strength (1)
Sp 10 Me 3 Ra - De 5 At 3 Ne 10/12
+ Pegasus
+ Kaba's Holy Grenade.

Wizard - Large Cav. -Fly, Lightning Bolt
Sp 10 Me 4 Ra - De 4 At 1 Ne 10/12
+ Pegasus
+ Bane Chant.

Standard Bearer - Inf. -Very Inspiring, Individual
Sp 5 Me 5 Ra - De 5 At 1 Ne 9/11

My problem is pathfinder, should I keep pathfinder to have something depending on the terrain or should I give other smaller items to other units, like blade of slashing and that kind of shit.
>>
>>52412480
why? Is the system bad?
>>
Let's say I'm writing a ruleset for some sf dustpunk setting and I want to publish it because of reasons, but the miniatures involved would be only conversions.

Question is, if I use some GW converted minis, would those salty bastards sue me?
>>
>>52426449
If it was only for personal use than no.
>>
>>52426449
also, how do you define dustpunk? I haven't heard of it before.
>>
File: tumblr_ojsxd88D2I1scc2zwo1_500.jpg (78KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojsxd88D2I1scc2zwo1_500.jpg
78KB, 500x707px
>>52426485
The idea is for commercial use, but fairly cheap desu. And I thought that maybe a line under each picture in the lines of "miniatures from XYZ range, only for illustration purposes blabla" would save my ass?

>>52426497
Post-apoc, wasteland based dystopia. You could picture Mad Max or pic related.
>>
>>52426587
>The idea is for commercial use, but fairly cheap desu. And I thought that maybe a line under each picture in the lines of "miniatures from XYZ range, only for illustration purposes blabla" would save my ass?
You could just use minis from companies that won't try to piss all over you.
The 'This is not a test' book is a nice example of how this can work and has a lot of thematically similar minis in it.
>>
>>52426587
>The idea is for commercial use, but fairly cheap desu. And I thought that maybe a line under each picture in the lines of "miniatures from XYZ range, only for illustration purposes blabla" would save my ass?

Nope. If you want to release a commercial ruleset and not get into any legal trouble, then do not have any pictures of miniatures from or even mention other lines, especially from GW.
>>
>>52426789
Thank you, I must need to look at that book.
>>52426807
That's discouraging. Would even get trouble if they're heavily converted/only bits? Like sentinel legs for a walker or something like that?
>>
>>52426807
Osprey's books show photos of other models. The Horizon Wars book has stuff from EM4, Ground Zero etc and has full credit given at the end plus a "where to buy" section.
>>
>>52426916
But those companies are cool with this. GW is a dingus in every possible interpretation of the word.
>>
Does anyone know the name of this custom system /tg/ made a bit ago? I remember the fluff involved the end of the world and marauding hordes of lizardmen, and a summary that was something like "Survive. Consume. Escape.", but not much else besides that. I'm mostly interested because they made it using a pointsbuy system that allowed you to customize factions/units with more powerful ones costing more and vice versa, and the only thing I'm finding along those lines is this goofy unfinished thing on /tg/.
>>
>>52426449
I'd say yeah, they almost certainly would. GW is pretty litigation-happy. I think you'd be better off using conversions from almost any other figure line out there.

You have basically three options:
1) Just use diagrams and illustrations in your rulebook, or only include photos of DIY stuff.

2) Do what people used to do before there were big monolithic game companies - reach out to a manufacturer whose stuff you like and see if you can just get permission to use photos of their stuff. Most smaller outfits would probably be happy for the free advertising.

3) Just DO IT, and then hope GW either doesn't notice you or has more important things to sue.
>>
>>52426901
>That's discouraging. Would even get trouble if they're heavily converted/only bits? Like sentinel legs for a walker or something like that?
With most other manufacturers it would probably never be an issue, but GW is a Jealous God. They won't even let online sellers post photos of official GW product that they are actually selling.
>>
>>52428511
Actually I would expect most miniature markers that also make a rule set for the miniatures would take issue with you using their models to sell your rule set.
>>
>>52428493
>>52428511
>>52428731
Well, fuck -_-

I guess I need to buy more minis then. FML
>>
>>52428731
>Actually I would expect most miniature markers that also make a rule set for the miniatures would take issue with you using their models to sell your rule set.
Taking GW as the example gives you a dim view of the industry, I think. The overwhelming majority of miniature makers are run by gamers and hobbyists who absolutely love what they do and their community. With very VERY few exceptions, all those I've met are great people.

I'm not saying that 100% they'd be open to letting you use their stuff, but nearly all would be open to at least having the conversation, even if they have a "competing" ruleset. Most smaller companies don't view their IP and rules with the sort of jealousy that GW does, and like I said above, many would probably be happy for a little more visibility for their product.
>>
>>52428853
This, desu. You should always ask permission anyway. Hell, you can ask GW too and maybe, if you are lucky, you get permission. You need to approach the proper channels, though. Just talking to smaller companies will involve significantly less hassle though, because even IF GW says yes, they'll want to supervise the way you portray their product.
>>
HI. I'm about to start up/gm a Five Parsecs From Home game with some friends. Has anyone played it, or other Five-Core games and noticed anything that was broken, didn't work well, stuff they had to house rule or change? Also how much terrain did you use? I'm thinking of going high density most of the time, and it will probably swing things more melee and mitigate guard fire a bit.
>>
>>52430696

I've played it, and nothing is particularily broken.

But with no real balancing mechanism (being more of a "story" game than tourney game), I have had some unbalanced games where one side just got trounced.

Cover is a big part of the game, with the decision of hide or peek when against terrain making a huge difference - this game is geared to high density play areas.

Have fun anon!
>>
>>52430788
Cool. I'm not too worried about balance, we're all friends and I'm mostly going to be playing random generated OPfor. I should make a print out that has peeking/hiding and other stuff on it.

Thanks!
>>
File: ANGRY_MINI.jpg (79KB, 682x909px) Image search: [Google]
ANGRY_MINI.jpg
79KB, 682x909px
Can anyone recommend a good skirmish wargame that doesn't focus on or necessitate unique characters?

I'm already interested in playing HoR's Kill Team, but any other games of similar scale that I've found, like Infinity or Warmachine, seem to centre around unique hero-type units.

I'd like a game with enough unit customization that I can impart some individuality into them, without being constrained by a lot of lore. Any suggestions?
>>
>>52431501
spectre operations
>>
>>52431501

FiveCore + Five Parsecs From Home
>>
Does anyone here play beyond the gates of Antares? I just got the strike on Kar'A starter set, but rules for things like shields and medidrones don't seem to be in there. Is there a rules supplement or do I need to buy the hardback rulebook?
>>
>>52431729
You'll need to buy the hardback rulebook to get the full rules.
>>
>>52431924
Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure, since they added army list PDFs and the getting started book is a bit ambiguous about whether or not the hardback rules cover anything more other than background material and army lists.
>>
>>52431501
Malifaux doesn't really have unique characters since all units are unique characters.
Also means customization is mainly in the listbuilding.

But from what I hear it's a really good game.
And some of the mini look really nice too.

This is not a Test is a Fallout/MadMax post-apoc kind of game that is all about customization.
Don't know much about the rules but it seems you also use about a dozen minis or so on average.

>>52431729
>>52431924
I recently bought the Xilos starter set for ~half price.
If you want to use the concord in the Kar'A starter this is worth considering since the Xilos starter comes with the hardback BRB and if you get it at a price as low as I did I only paid 6 bucks more for the whole thing than I would have if I just had bought the book by itself.
>>
>>52431729
>>52431924
>>52431998
>>52431998
>If you want to use the concord in the Kar'A starter this is worth considering since the Xilos starter comes with the hardback BRB and if you get it at a price as low as I did I only paid 6 bucks more for the whole thing than I would have if I just had bought the book by itself.
And the Xilos starter comes with another 20 concord. Forgot to say that.
>>
>>52431998
>since all units are unique characters.
"Miners" sound pretty unique. "Fire gamin" too. "Drunken goblin ninjas" especially.

Characters are named, grunts are not.
>>
>>52431676
Sortof. FiveCore is based around character narrative, so they're there, but customized and filled in by the player. Most 'special' characters can get spooked/hurt/killed like everyone else though.

You can play it with no characters if you want, but it seems like you'd be missing out on a lot of the game.
>>
>>52432038
Well, the game does not have multipart plastic kits like other games do.
Each model is a unique monopose model.

I don't think they come with different weapon options either, so it's either buy the unit of 'drunken goblin ninjas' as is, or don't.

In that sense, since anon was asking for customization, they are basically unique characters in terms of modeling and rules, from what i understand about the game.
That said, I never played it, so correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
File: farscape_sheyang.png (670KB, 1202x897px) Image search: [Google]
farscape_sheyang.png
670KB, 1202x897px
So with the release of Rogue Stars recently I started to throw some ideas around for a crew.
And one of those ideas was making a crew of Sheyang from Farscape.
Firebreathing space toads basically.

Anyway I've been thinking about finding models for them and so far only have one serious contender, one of the reaper aliens.

Anyone know of miniatures that look vaguely similar?
I guess I could work with heavyset miniatures dressed in WW tanker/pilot attire as basis too.
Any ideas?
>>
>>52432150
TNT models don't have options either...

In terms of rules they can get various upgrade cards.
>>
File: iaf109_1000pix_1024x1024.jpg (60KB, 1000x324px) Image search: [Google]
iaf109_1000pix_1024x1024.jpg
60KB, 1000x324px
>>52432278
If 15mm is ok, Ion Age's Prang look quite similar.
>>
>>52432398
Oh well. I tried.
Though now that it has been mentioned again

>>52431501
>I'd like a game with enough unit customization that I can impart some individuality into them, without being constrained by a lot of lore. Any suggestions?
This kinda sounds like Rogue Stars aside from the scope. You can have a max of 6 guys in your crew unless you pick up a rookie along the way or use the experimental redshirt rules.
But you have literally no lore restrictions at all for building your warband.
>>
>>52432436
>Ion Age's Prang look quite similar.
Holy shit, they really do.
They are awesome models, but the rest my collection is in 28mm.

Thanks for pointing them out though.
>>
>>52432615
They're sculpted by Eli Arndt http://leadpeople.blogspot.co.nz/

If you literally just want one or two dudes, it might be worth it to get in touch with him and commission a sculpt.
>>
Anons, my group and I want to play NetEpic Armageddon.

I want to play Tyranids, but I don't know if I should use the NetEpic list or the Epic Uk one.

Which one is better? Which one is funnier to use?
>>
>>52432038
True, but "Malifaux is all unique characters" was only a mild exaggeration... it's pretty common for more than half the models in your list to be named characters. To the guy looking for a "your dudes" game, Malifaux is not it.

>>52431998
Malifaux is definitely a unique game, and it's got some virtues. At its core, it shares a lot of rules with games like Warmachine, with lots of solo dudes, rules on cards, a stat + random vs target resolution system, extremely light psychology / morale rules, and so on.

But a few of the things it does are stuff I'm not sure I've really seen anywhere else. The cards as a randomizer thing is probably the most obvious, and adds some wrinkles you might not expect where you can control / predict your luck a little bit.

It also has a lot going on with the scenarios and, maybe most unusual, lets you build your list after you've seen the table, scenario and opponent. This makes a lot of the niche models that might otherwise be ignored see some use. It also abuses the stats-on-cards convention to allow you a degree of customization by sticking "upgrade" cards on various characters during listbuilding.

I know Malifaux isn't technically /awg, but there's some cool ideas there that I wish showed up in more games.
>>
>>52433482
They're semi-compatible, so if your group is fairly casual, then either.

Generally I'd probably stick with whichever goes with the rules your group is using, though. Remember to do a little digging - as I recall the NetEpic guys had a mountain of beta lists that weren't in the core book.
>>
>>52433989
Thanks. I'm new to the ruleset, could you explain to me the differences between the two? Both lists seem to play similar
>>
>>52431501
SAGA has all of that. It helps that Gripping Beast has put out lots of customizable plastic kits, so you can customize your warband as you like.
>>
>>52431614
>>52431676
>>52431998
>>52432462
>>52436575

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Rogue Stars in particular sounds like a cool game, and seems like it could make good use of Infinity's models. I appreciate all your help.
>>
>>52424577
I'm sure if anyone who collected knew even one other person that also collected and could play with them they'd give you an answer.

I got the starter set recently and plan to inflict it on some friends, I'll give a report when I finally get around to painting and fielding them several months from now, no doubt.

15 mm is tiny.
>>
>>52426587
>>52426449
you can't use gw minis
>>
>>52431501
Shadow War: Armageddon is hella dope
>>
File: small-but-tactical.jpg (211KB, 1221x777px) Image search: [Google]
small-but-tactical.jpg
211KB, 1221x777px
>>52437082
>15 mm is tiny.
3mm ultramarines beg to differ
>>
>>52405286
Anybody here actively playing anything by Mantic Games? Not just something they tried once years ago.

Wanted to hear some redpilled opinions from active players.

I know there used to be a lot on /tg/
>>
>>52442076
I only have experience with Kings of War. With the FAQs and tournament pack it is a really tight game that actually does the I go you go thing well because of how fast it plays. Excellent both competitively and casually. It is simplified WHFB, but does it in a more traditional format than the card gamey variety that is AoS.

The minis vary. I think that the plastics are decent, that the metals are nothing special, and the restic figures are bad. It is very proxy friendly to the point where third party figures are all tournament legal, so I wouldn't let yourself get turned off by the official figures.

Lore isn't thorough, though it has general outlines and details about specific characters.

I haven't tried Warpath or Deadzone. Based Alessio isn't behind their other stuff and I have heard mixed things about their other games. The Warpath setting does seem to be much for fleshed out than KoW's however.

Do you have any specific questions?
>>
>>52442168
>Do you have any specific questions?
Mostly what's happened since the 2.0 release, I dropped in for a few intro games when it first exploded but then school took all my time. Looking to get back into something now that I've graduated. I remember complaints about flying De6, fliers in general, buffed Elven archers, and some useless/redundant units.

KoW is the only thing active here which is unfortunate because I am very curious about literally everything else they make. Warpath, Deadzone, etc.

I have some of their Restic stuff. Other than needing a hot-water bath before working, I had no complaints. I actually think even their "bad" miniatures look fine, but I grew up seeing early WHFB, so, maybe my standards are low. Their official promo painters suck though. They seem to kitbash very well either way.

I've got maybe 600 pts in Undead, but storage wasn't kind to them and it will need a lot of work.
>>
>>52442168
>>52442224
Oh, also, how do I not kill my fucking back? I've never really done a lot of tabletop wargaming that required standing. Just one intro game was enough to kill my fucking back having to bend and reach. I'm not overweight or anything, but I've got bad knees+back problems.
>>
>>52442224
Flyers and Elves were nerfed pretty thoroughly, but you are right that those were bullshit.

My main gripe with the restics is that the details are shallow and the stuff is hard to work with, as was the case with my mummies. However I think that it is decent for chunkier figures like their ogres and striders. Glad to hear that it works for you. And yeah, they do customizable multi-part plastics which are tons of fun to work with. Less variety than GW's stuff perhaps, but after some collecting you will have lots of bits to supplement your guys. The newer ones are emphasizing posability, which is even better.

As far as your back goes, I find that pushing movement trays from afar with hard measuring tape works well for anything short of a 40 man unit of metal pikemen.

Once your undead are in ship shape, give the game another try. I would recommend whipping up a list of what you have right now via EasyArmy and asking the guys nearby to try smaller games with you.
>>
>>52442314
Actually I'm considering buying a new army and starting over, especially now that Mantic seems to have expanded their minis lineup? What would be a good compliment for Undead given allies rules?

FAQ and tournament pack? I can find these on google?

Really hoping to hear from some Warpath/Deadzone players. The scenery kits at least seem killer and the miniatures seem pretty top-tier compared to KoW
>>
>>52442359
The only things that undead really lacks would probably be stronger ranged units, perhaps larger flyers as well. I would say Twilight Kin or Abyssal Dwarves.

Yep, both are provided by Mantic free of charge online.
>>
>>52413979
The problem with skirmish games is they're getting completely unmanageable rules wise. Malifaux is the perfect example of this.

>3 Scenarios
>2 Opponent scenarios
>5+ models with unique rules, many which only trigger on the right flip
>Custom upgrades which change what a model does and often change mid game
>Hand management

And that's before you even start playing the game. It's just way too much shit going on. Skirmish games need to be closer to prime Warmachine and not D&D character sheets.
>>
>>52431501
Wouldn't Frostgrave fit this perfectly? Everything is generic except your wizard who you make before the game.
>>
>>52442784
Iunno anon, I really enjoy what Malifaux offers. When there are only about a dozen models are on the table, I don't mind if those have a bit more going on, plus being someone with a TCG past, I can pay attention to a lot of different things at once. If you want simple skirmishes, fine, but don't ruin complex games to those who enjoy them.
>>
What about Aliens vs Predator game? Any experience?
>>
>>52442943
I have experience with TCGs and tabletop games, the problem isn't any single element it's all of them together.

Cards instead of dice but only 1 scenario? No problem. Multiple scenarios but using dice? No problem. Both together? Fuck that.
>>
>>52431501
Lord of the Rings, the GW one. Named heroes exist, but there are also generic captains and the like that you can kit out and fluff to your heart's content. The game itself is also extremely solid.
>>
>>52442994
For custom heroes, there's this (no live version sadly):
https://web.archive.org/web/20090428024042/http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=3&subid=13&artilceid=3598

>>52442987
I...okay. Not sure how using cards change anything drastically from using dice, it only makes the results more predictable.
>>
>>52443081
When you roll a dice you pick it up and roll it, maybe add a number or two.

When you flip a card you have to match a number and a suit. That then acts as a trigger for other things to happen based on the suit or number. Which would be fine on it's own until you add hand management. Which suits do you need? Which numbers do you need?

Card management is a complex system that could work on it's own as a game (this is basically TCGs). But when you add in all the other elements it's just too much to keep track of and enjoy the game.
>>
>>52443121
Well, as I said, it's up to personal preference. I enjoy the complexity but others don't. Thankfully there are lots of games for both of us to enjoy, and sometimes I like to play simpler games as well.
>>
>>52442978
The boardgame or the wargame? I've played both, done some testing for the wargame, too, what are you curious about?
>>
>>52442254
Keep a chair nearby. Some clubs/stores have them on hand.

>>52436575
SAGA does have all of that, but it may be too many models for that anon. I don't know, I'll second it though, since it's probably my go-to at the moment.

Also plastic archers soon!
>>
>>52443273
Erm.. both, i guess.
>>
>>52443081
>I...okay. Not sure how using cards change anything drastically from using dice, it only makes the results more predictable.
As this guy >>52443121 implies, it's actually pretty dramatic how much the card thing changes Malifaux from similar games. Yes, at its core its still just "Stat + Random # vs. Target", but it's a different, somewhat deeper randomness.

1st and most obvious, you can count cards. Some big cards (like the jokers - basically, Red Joker is a critical hit and Black Joker is a critical fail) are obviously limited, so when they've already come up it can impact your strategy a great deal.

2nd thing is that Malifaux gives you a hand of cards each turn that you can use to replace bad draws (usually). So there's a resource management mechanic inherent in the randomizer, as well as a built-in "reroll" capability. Card economy is a HUGE part of the game.

3rd, and weirdest, is that card suits is how the game handles all its special triggers - basically anything that would be a critical effect or a "roll on a table" in other games. You have to hit both the target number AND have the right suit to get many of the stronger abilities to go off. This adds another layer to the resource management and the list building, since you often want to hold specific suited cards for specific models, and models that use the same suits compete for resources.

As I said above, there's not really anything else like it. Not saying other games SHOULD do a card mechanic like that either - it's pretty tightly woven in with the flavor of that particular game.
>>
>>52442168
>I only have experience with Kings of War. With the FAQs and tournament pack it is a really tight game that actually does the I go you go thing well because of how fast it plays. Excellent both competitively and casually. It is simplified WHFB, but does it in a more traditional format than the card gamey variety that is AoS.
My experience as well. I'd actually say KoW does almost as much as even traditional WHFB - nearly everything they cut by "simplifying" was superfluous BS that added complexity without adding depth.
>>
>>52409381
I enjoy assembling metal miniatures. It's like playing with 3D puzzles that I get to paint.
>>
>>52445641
Tell me moar bout malifaux, anon. How do i start playing. I like the looks of gremlins, are they playable?
>>
File: bwak bwak.jpg (82KB, 750x491px) Image search: [Google]
bwak bwak.jpg
82KB, 750x491px
Bump
>>
>>52446674
Gremlins are certainly playable, and could be called top tier in some circumstances. Every faction in the game is competitive, though some masters do kind of suck compared to others. Wyrd has been doing a better and better job of balancing the game, and it is at its best state ever.

The best Gremlin crew box to start with is The Bayou Boss IMO, because everything in there is useful, and Somer can reliably do all schemes and strategies so you won't need to branch out. Just get that box, more bayou gremlins, piglets for summoning purposes, and perhaps rooster riders and then slop haulers for healing. That should easily set you at 50ss for full sized games.
>>
>>52431501
Black ops by osprey, I think hwg has a PDF of it in the moderns folder.
>>
Has anyone played Darklands by Mierce Miniatures and can offer his opinion on the game? Seems intriguing.
>>
>>52450005
The only opinion I can offer is that the minis are pretty great (at least the monsters) but waaay to fucking expensive imo.
And considering how Mierce came to be after Maelstrom bit the dust I'd be wary of them anyway.

Dem smooth ballsacks, doe.
>>
>>52450273

Gotcha, thanks for the info.
>>
File: carrowek.jpg (56KB, 736x660px) Image search: [Google]
carrowek.jpg
56KB, 736x660px
>>52450005
I backed the KS for the minis, have yet to get around to playing the game. Thing came with a heap of nice wood tokens IIRC.

The miniatures are ridiculously nice, though. They are definitely premium-priced, but you get what you pay for in this case. Their not-Archaon chaos lord dude is one of my favorite minis in my collection... even if his HugeAxe (tm) is veering into giant-anime-weapon land a bit.
>>
>>52407547
The biggest hurdle is models.

The difficulty of making rules is pretty reasonable. Though they need a lot of time to be tested/edited it is possible and you can skirt around the most common pitfalls if you played a lot of other games.

But models is hard. You need to either have sculpting skills or 3D modelling skills and a certain pretty costly equipment.
>>
Lets just say I'm a good painter and I'm looking to make a name for myself without spending a fuckton of money. What miniature line do you think would be the best value for money while still allowing for top tier painting techniques to make it pop?

This is semi true, I want to get my work out there but I have limited money so I want to maximize my resources
>>
>>52407547
I went through all the trouble to make the game and system I really wanted to play. Started here on /tg/ as a small project, slowly gathered some traction, set up a website, more people poured in, continued working on it, over 100,000 downloads by now, recently started a patreon, hopefully one day have enough cash to do a kickstarter.

As one of the few people who has actually gone through the work of making something, publishing it, marketing it, etc. I can tell you one thing: if you are serious about it, do it, but it's going to take a TON of time and work to do it. Start with a small prototype, test it and then put it out there to see if others like the idea too.

No use in putting hundreds of hours into preparing a huge system that then nobody wants to play...

Project can be found here btw: www.onepagerules.com
>>
>>52452683
Arena Rex for resin
Recent Knight models or infinity for metal
>>
>>52450005

I'm a big fan. Minis are nice and game is good. Price kinda sucks but they finally started releasing their cheaper metal models this week so that takes some of the edge off.
>>
Let me just apply a bump so this thread doesn't die quite yet. It's a shame we don't have enough posters to keep the thread running all the way to autosage.
>>
>>52455246
Its a shame that all the /tg/ threads I follow are like this.
>>
Since thread is dead, might as well ask.

If you had a platoon size game where models activate in groups but act individually, similar Warzone and Warmahordes, how would you feel about A. a resolution system that is an opposed roll, but single roll, and B. universal mechanics similar to Warmahordrs Combined Attack?

A rough idea is that 4-6 models make up a unit, and attacks are both sides roll a pool of dice, scoring successes on X+, all determined by stats, and if the attacker rolls more successes than the defender, the model takes a point of damage.

Models that are part of the same unit can sacrifice their attack to help another model, like how the Combined Attack works in Warmahordes, giving additional dice. The idea is that combining attacks would give a better chance of hurting a superior model, but without overwhelming them as Warmahordes system does.
>>
>>52457855

I kinda like the idea of what seems like electing dice in a unit to help a friendly mini. Seems like a dynamic way to defend and attack.

Would be cool to work it in with say cover modifiers and say a defensive Stat but seems like it'd get kinda complicated quickly.
>>
>>52459032
How the full system is right now, still very "scribbled on napkins" stage, is your weapon's power is you dice pool, you attack stat is your X+, and if you are defending, you have a defense for the X+ and 2 other stats; a resiliency stat for your dice pool and armor that gives a number of auto-successes. Modifiers are to the pool size, so say cover is +1, you'd get an extra die to roll. The system also uses exploding dice, and when in close combat, the defender can choose to attack back instead, using their attack stats. It means that fighting in combat has the danger of being hit back, but they don't get to use their armor if they do.

That's where the idea of combined attacks comes in. With how armor works, there'd be a cap on stats, otherwise it'd overly favor elite units with higher defense stats. The limit of one wound also means you'll not always going for the pile in; it makes doing damage easier, put you trade extra attacks to do it. Its one of the things I noticed with Warmahordes, you usually went with the big hit, and death by a thousand papercuts didn't do much.
>>
>>52452683
Real talk, painting 40k is the way to get hits. Crystal brush basically the cash paying painting comp is run on popularity which is why almost every best in show is 40k.
Chibi minis are also a good way to go, as its got a decent fanbase and easier competition.
>>
>>52452760
For what it's worth, the result is great!
>>
>>52407547
>Honestly really thinking about it trying to sit down and make "my game" and see if I could get some friends to do some demo games of it.
If you have a group that's willing to go for the ride, that's half the battle.

I've been working on a ruleset for massed infantry games (designed for anything 2mm - 15mm, with the usual adjustments to account for different basing conventions). Been working on it for years, and I enjoy it, but the playtest group is really just a couple people so it's slow going.
>>
File: group_hires.jpg (38KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
group_hires.jpg
38KB, 576x384px
Does anybody know when Warlord is gonna rerelease the Judge Dredd game or what is going to happen with it?
It's been a while since their announcement, where they said they acquired the rights, but I haven't heard anything at all since then.
>>
Should probably go in the homebrew thread (haven't checked if there is one) but seeing as this has set a precedent.
I'm writing a system in which captains/sergeants can give orders much like in 40k IG, but much more limited in scope per race.
I've got a few "common" styles, but I would appreciate suggestions for more. I have
Accurate- better shooting
Aggressive- more movement in a forwards direction
Light- a reaction move in the enemy turn
Ordered- recovery from disorder and formation change
Stoic- better bravery

Anyone got any ideas for more?
>>
>>52462529
Maybe a bonus for a melee charge or a better defense in anticipation of being charged?
Something to take better advantage of cover or add a temporary bonus while trying to hold ground?
>>
>>52462392
Nah, it's Warlord. As much as I like them, they have that tendency of sitting on things they buy for way too long.

I think the Wargames Factory Samurai stuff sat for about a year and a half, and the non-samurai stuff is still nowhere to be seen.
>>
>>52464078
Yeah.
The Westfalia Landsknechts seem to have vanished entirely.

Last time I heard they were busy 'retooling' or something...
>>
What would folks recommend as "Babby's First awg" ? Trying to build a local gaming scene with some of my coworkers. They're interested, but their total exposure has been 1 guy who played Space Marine, and everyone else playing with army dudes as children.

Skirmish games preferred, something with pre-set starters as well. We'll move on to "stat your own dudes" later if they actually show sustained interest in the hobby.
>>
>>52464078
>Nah, it's Warlord. As much as I like them, they have that tendency of sitting on things they buy for way too long.
Plastic Landsknecht when.

>>52464197
Pro Gloria, not Westfalia.
>>
>>52462529
TBF, when there are homebrew threads they are usually focused on RPG rules.

With orders - depends on what kind of feel you're going for, and what the rest of your game needs. What game is your homebrew most like? Is it I-go-U-go or alternating activations?
>>
>>52464989
Space hulk or X-wing maybe?
>>
>>52464989
Don't play some autism before you even start your first game with these people.
>>
>>52464989
>Skirmish games preferred, something with pre-set starters as well.
Skirmish games with pre-set starters are (mostly) not really AWG. It's not a hard line or anything, but this thread is usually occupied by games that are fairly obscure and require the gamer to do a fair amount of legwork to get started... therefore not very beginner friendly.

The 28mm skirmisher genre is very popular right now, and there's a few games in that niche that are fairly high-profile and well supported. Warmachine, Malifaux, Infinity and Guildball all generally have their own threads going on here, and have pre-set starter boxes.
>>
>>52464989
MERCS maybe?
or Malifaux?

Frostgrave could be a good start too.
Buy a box of FG Soldiers and you got enough minis for two warbands.
Buy a box of Fireforge or Perry Minis and you got enough for four warbands (minus a few options usually but that's probably not a big deal when you start out).

The wizards and apprentices come paired from Northstar or you can just tell you friends to find a wizard they like from the reaper catalog (they got more than enough to chose from) if they want to get fancy.

So each person would have to buy a wizard they like and you could all share a box or two for soldiers.
The game itself is fairly simple to play and the rules are easy to read.

Might be a good way to introduce people and see if they like the whole experience at all.
>>
>>52464989
I'm with >>52465128 here. I'd suggest you Malifaux or Infinity, since their starting sets have pretty much all you need to play complete games and they're comparatively cheap (not in terms of individual models price, but in terms of entry price).
Anyway, they're not exactly 'alternative'
>>
>>52464989
Batman Miniatures game.
Its a lot easier to suck someone in with a known setting.
>>
>>52465300
>Batman Miniatures game.
Are the minis really something for a beginner though?
>>
>>52465325
Not really, they're fucking expensive
>>
>>52465128
>>52465256
>>52465244

Thanks for the suggesions, and apologies for shitposting. I'll fuck off to more appropriate threads.

Thanks for the suggestions though! I'll give Frostgrave a look.
>>
>>52465347
and a royal PITA to build
>>
>>52465474
No worries anon, that wasn't shitposting at all. Unfortunately I haven't enough knowledge of either system to give you any further advice.
>>
>>52433869
>I know Malifaux isn't technically /awg, but there's some cool ideas there that I wish showed up in more games.

Very much this.
The variable/random objectives, where each side is playing three hidden objectives (one Strategy and two Schemes) selected from a common pool, is a great idea and one I think I've only seen something similar to from... Star Realms?
That horribly complex space squad-level game the name of which currently eludes me.
>>
>>52465347
Suicide squad box gives you 2 full tournament sized crews for around $100

The only other game that compares to that is guildball's kickoff box.
>>
>>52467242
Don't forget that it includes actual terrain and such as well. It is a really good deal.
>>
>>52466584
>The variable/random objectives, where each side is playing three hidden objectives (one Strategy and two Schemes) selected from a common pool, is a great idea and one I think I've only seen something similar to from... Star Realms?
Mantic also did something like that with Deadzone. Worked pretty well there. That game was a little odd though, kinda occupied that "not sure if it's a board game or a tabletop" grey area.
>>
>>52465573
More recent stuff has been much better, similar to the improvements made to assembly of infinity models.
>>
File: Howard Langston.jpg (176KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Howard Langston.jpg
176KB, 900x1600px
>>52445641
It's pretty clearly a matter of personal taste.

I like the very complex game, the detractor apparently doesn't.

All the things you list are the things I love about the engine of Malifaux, and the Rube-Goldbergs available due to the number of abilities that are triggered by flipping the right suit, or come naturally to a model during an action, is another huge part of the appeal.

Aside fromt hat, the world is pretty cool and the models are absolutely gorgeous.
>>
File: MXMFG027_andromech-882x630.jpg (67KB, 882x630px) Image search: [Google]
MXMFG027_andromech-882x630.jpg
67KB, 882x630px
>>
>>52465038
It's an I go-you go system, but it's close on a skirmish RPG due to the maths (not ideal I know).
I'm stuck between an "each unit gets one action pre turn" and "each unit gets three actions per turn". The former is largely ideal, but makes mêlée super fast (in game terms) and super bloody.
I've currently said that orders have a two action cooldown, so if you're playing the former, orders work the same as in the latter.

>>52462899
Actually, that could be useful. I have rules for those but they're weapon-specific, so that might work.
>>
Yo, I'm keen to pick up frostgrave, what miniatures do I need for a warband? Besides the official box set, if I wanted to go with other models, what should I look at picking up?
>>
>>52473117
A wizard and apprentice. Around 10 henchmen, there are a bunch of different types so the plastic box is nice but you could use other kit like the GW Empire Militia or specific models if you know what you want. If you play a wizard with summoning spells you could need a bear, demon, skeleton, etc. Everyone can get a dog.
>>
>>52473117
>Besides the official box set, if I wanted to go with other models, what should I look at picking up?
The minis in the first rulebook were Fireforge footseargents with GS fur around their shoulders.
You'll get most equipment options out of that box with the exception of bows, staves and greatweapons.

Perry also have a bunch of useful boxes.
Again you'll probably miss out on some weapon options.

Another interesting thing to note, that the Northstar page does completely fail to mention on the product page iirc, is that the cultist kit also comes with heads and arms for skeletons/zombies.
So in theory you could build your warband to look like skellies or build a regular cultist warband and then use the left overs for your bestiary.

On that note the fireforge sargents look good as skellies with GW skulls too.

That is for the generic medieval stuff.
If you want to do something more thematic the historical miniature market is rather big.
For example I have some LotR Haradrim and some Perry Arabs with some stereotype character from Reaper and the Alchemist from the Hell Dorado saracens that I'm gonna build as a Summoner's warband.

Foundry is a great place to look for minis that fit the style of the official FG minis too. Personally I'm a big fan of the Nomans they have.
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/dark-age/normans
>>
>>52457855
>>52459339
Bumping for more input and thoughts.
>>
>>52467378
It really feels like a board game.
>>
Got an Ava "Indigo" Jasco from a friend yesterday. I'm pretty excited about it, sadly can't take pics or paint her just yet as I'm on a holiday, but will do once I get home. In the meanwhile:
- I'm really not sure about the boxart. Colored renders are weird, and here eyeball is empty.
- Text on the back of the box is nearly unreadable, black letters on grey/dark grey background.
- Mini is in one piece with the base, so absolutely no assembly required. This is weird, and I have reservations, especially how I base my heroes on 30mm bases because old models look weird on bigger bases, especially the smaller one like the Covert Spec Ops, a rather tiny figure.
- It will need a wee bit of cleaning up, has an ugly piece of excess material on her face that's visible, but barely reachable. Also, areas on her chest will be a pain to do since it's behind her rifle.
- Otherwise it's impressive that this is a one piece mould, although I wish at least the base was separate. What if I don't want to base my Indigo on a cobblestone and walkway base?

Overall a nice mini, I'm happy to get it, will paint her and include in my armies once I get around a Brotherhood army, or will find a way to include her somehow. Scale doesn't seem too off from older miniatures.
>>
>>52478091
I remember seeing a Beasts of War interview when Prodos was rolling out their unicasts. It was one of those things that made me go "Neat, but wrong industry to use that tech".
>>
>>52481688
>It was one of those things that made me go "Neat, but wrong industry to use that tech".

I'm kinda with you there, but then at the same time most of their infantry sets and character models for warzone are 2-3 pieces before sticking them on the bases. Single cast characters and squads aren't that far fetched, fuckers were already monopose anyway unless you hacked them apart to rearrange them.

Just gotta see how it all goes, I just wish that the warzone unicast range weren't on integrated bases. Shit's going to fuck with my basing themes for my armies.
>>
>>52482475
Its more about the painting. If you pose your guys to be carrying rifles, make part of it separate, so we can paint the chest.
>>
>>52482824
This. That is the main downside of pre-assembled models. No one wants to be threading the needle.
>>
>>52482824
I can understand and respect that. Personally I don't really bother getting into the crannies(chest behind rifles, empty space between backpack, etc.) after the first basecoat and wash, if I can't see it, the neither can my opponent, so it doesn't bear detailing.
>>
>>52482943
Yeah, its not a deal breaker, just would be nice. Like the separate base part.
>>
Cyberbump
>>
>That moment when you want a weird world war one skirmish game
>Dystopian legions is the closest game
>>
Any skirmish games with cthulu themes or a cthulu like faction? I really just wanna paint and play with fishmen.
>>
>>52489345
No idea about the rules, but there's Achtung! Cthulhu and Strange Aeons.
>>
>>52488844

That's a good game. I really enjoyed the few games of that I had. I wish it was supported more.
>>
>>52489345

Relics just introduced a Cthulhu faction. Don't know much about it though.

Deep wars has a cthulhu cult faction, game looks cool.
>>
File: genestealers.png (296KB, 497x259px) Image search: [Google]
genestealers.png
296KB, 497x259px
What system do you guys use for 15mm scifi? Gruntz? I've been making terrain for 15mm modern warfare, but I'm interested in some good laser and robot based campaigns.
>>
>>52487180
Oh my...

Also we really should get a file dump for books and such for the OP pasta. I still need to get me a new copy of Deadzone 2nd edition since my laptop has decided to fuck itself to near uselessness.
>>
>>52489345
Carnevale has a deep-ones type faction. Fish people, mutants, the works.
>>
>>52488844
Is this a sign that we need to compile our own?
I'd be well up for that.
>>
>>52493478
Carnevale is so dead the studio making it shut down.
>>
>>52489345
Wrath of Kings has house hadross. There's a board game called Deep Madness that is pretty much all Cthulu shit and has a bunch of minis.
>>
>>52487180
I wasn't taken by the Human Interface stuff but this guy looks dope.
>>
I'm not sure where else to really ask this, but I'm trying to track down a mini I found searching the web and neglected to bookmark. It was a sort of ice elemental, walking around like a beast on all fours. Came in a pack of 2 I believe and the game had some tokens for it, but I'm not too concerned about that.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about is appreciate the help.
>>
>>52497355
Drakerys, Malifaux or the stuff from Neverrealm industry comes to mind.
>>
>>52497477
Thanks! I'll take a look
>>
>>52497355
Probably one of the Dark Age ice elementals.
>>
>>52494035
The rights for the game got bought by another company. They're bringing it back with some new models to boot.
>>
I just updated my Two Hour Wargames archive with some new stuff and some sorting and naming:
https://mega.nz/#F!9R8G2aQb!g-dZXkyCmkrljzH60tZEhQ
>>
>>52497355
Tor gaming also has some elementals, I think for the vaettir faction. They don't come with specific tokens though.
>>
>>52498654
Cheers mate.
>>
File: coachingInn.jpg (308KB, 590x1026px) Image search: [Google]
coachingInn.jpg
308KB, 590x1026px
I started a terrain thread with a focus on necromundheim inspiration, hopefully some of you guys can help out

>>52503834
>>
Does anyone know of anyone else that does Egyptian crocodilemen besides Crocodile Games?
>>
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, but what do you guys think is the most "simulationist" sci-fi game?

As in, a game which attempts to (for lack of a better word) realistically portray futuristic science fiction combat, if that makes sense.
>>
File: slide_KhanateReturn.png (589KB, 960x450px) Image search: [Google]
slide_KhanateReturn.png
589KB, 960x450px
If anyone is interested in getting into Ion Age, April 14th will be the time to do so as there will be free shipping/sales/new book bundles for it.
>>
>>52509105
Thanks! I will place an order then.
>>
>>52509105
what's ion age?

any batreps?
>>
>>52509393
Heres the blog post for more information.

http://theionageblog.blogspot dot co dot uk/2017/03/the-khanate-return-book-in-april-plus.html?m=1
>>
>>52507566
Tomorrow's War
>>
>>52507566
GUPRS Spaceships with hex grid combat.
>>
>>52510620

I dunno, there are vector-based space combat systems, and vector beats grid for simulation of space.
>>
>>52509518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lx3A3iu7U

http://conflictcornucopia.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/patrol-angis-aar.html

http://theionageblog.blogspot.co.nz/2016/08/patrol-angis-aar-by-rod-forehand.html
>>
>>52509105
Ooh awesome. I love the look of the Prydians. Does anyone have a PDF of the army lists or main rules?
>>
>>52507566
Are we talking space battles or surface combat? Infinity takes a reasonably "hard" approach for skirmish / special forces type engagements (the units themselves are pretty fantastic, of course, I'm looking at the actual mechanics).

I dig dropzone commander for the company-sized action. There are some concessions to the "cinematic" approach in the rules, but I think the type of action portrayed (100% air-mobile forces with fleet support, rapid insertion/extraction, etc) is believable for the era portrayed.

I don't think I've found a satisfactory example for space combat. Closest thing was probably actually a Mass Effect based hack a buddy of mine built on top of the FATE engine a few years back. The flexible zone based structure let it handle distances using an exponential model. It wasn't really a simulation, per se, but it captured the "feel" pretty well.
>>
File: RagnarokWargame.jpg (19KB, 349x247px) Image search: [Google]
RagnarokWargame.jpg
19KB, 349x247px
Just got this for £10 from my local game store and the owner gave me the low-down of the history. He said that the previous edition that was more skirmish based was better and this kind of tanked the series but the models are really nice. I mostly bought this for the books and art to give me ideas for rpg campaigns.
Does anyone have any experience with this? What about the previous edition?
>>
Osprey wargames/boardgame catalog for 2017

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2UGzFKyUbhOdW91d2NZQWlUUTA/view
>>
>>52513190
games almost needlessly fiddly and failed miserably on a per unit balance level. Great minis tho
>>
>>52513732
Ooh, has anyone tried Pikeman's Lament? I know /hwg/ is a more likely board, but it is relevant to my interests
>>
>>52513837
From what I understand it plays more or less like lion/dragon rampant with all the joys and flaws that comes with.

I'm more interested in Dracula's America since it sounds really stupid, but in a cool way. It doesn't hurt that I'm already playing VSF/Gothic horror games and I've got a ton of cowboys in search of a game.
>>
>>52513837
I read a review of it in Wargames Illustrated that said it's a fun tweak of Lion Rampant with good shooting rules to borrow but completely fucking useless historically, not feeling or looking right at all.
>>
>>52513987
seconded, it doesn't help that black scorpion minis are launching an old west kickstarter just 2 days from now, and from the previews, they'll have some undead cowboys in it.
>>
>>52514047
Oh man, that indeed doesn't help. I love the Black Scorpion minis I've got.
>>
>>52513136
Army lists for everything except Prydian Muster and Retained are at the top of this page.

https://theionage.com/collections/15mm-publications
>>
>>52514449
Yeah I saw that when I was looking for them. The Prydians were the ones I was looking for, sadly.
>>
>>52515279
Those are included in the Patrol Angis book, which I only have a hard copy of unfortunately.
>>
>>52515279
Don't be expecting to see any Ion Age pdfs posted here anytime soon, most people just buy the physical books because they cost about $2 more than the pdfs.
>>
Not necessarily a /awg/ but I suppose some of you can help:

I have been browsing Ral Partha Europe, and I saw they sell paints, their brand is Miniature Paints.
I can´t find them anywhere else, have any of you tried them? Here's the link: http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/miniature-paints-c-54/
>>
Anyone here played deepwars? Really interested in it and the system.
>>
>>52517996
Never played it although I know it's a Song of... hack
>>
>>52515347
I might buy the PDF and post it here if there's interest.
>>
>>52518083

Of what anon?
>>
>>52519065
Song of Blades and Heroes.
>>
>>52519065
There are a bunch of different Song of Blades and Heroes variants around with different rules and settings.

There is even one with a bunch of stuffed animals reenacting WW1 or something like that.

SoBH is written by Andrea Sfiligoi, the guy from Ganesha Games who also wrote Rogue Stars.
>>
>>52519136

That make it a bad system anon? Cause I'm interested in the systems models for painting and modelling reason but if it turns out to be a good skirmish game that's also a nice bonus.
>>
>>52519501
couldn't tell you, I never played it.
But judging by the number of games that use the system it seems to work alright.
>>
>>52519501
Its a weird system that strokes sone people the wrong way. Personally, I'm one of those people. I feel the over-reliance on special rules complicates things more than needed.
>>
>>52518191
Please do
>>
>>52513190
The reason the previous edition tanked wasn't the rules (Many people consider them better in fact), but that the new minis sucked due to them being prepainted. The game is supposedly being resurrected, with the new publisher talking with the guys behind Confrontation Evo (The fan supported ruleset).
>>
Does anyone here play Patrol Angis? I will probably pick up some figures when they go on sale this month and was wondering how many i would need to play.
>>
>>52520962
A platoon pack will get you a reasonable sized force to start you off, that's about 25 dudes for £12.50 (£16.50 if you also buy bases, but you could use small coins or washers instead).
>>
>>52520962
Thanks.I was going to buy 2 platoons so i could trick my dad into playing. I havent been able to get my hands on the rulebook yet because it is sold out. How has your experience with the game been?
>>
>>52521164
Sadly I'm limited to playing the solo mode ;_; but it's an interesting game. Shooting is very very deadly and having the initiative is pretty important.

Some AARs got linked upthread if you want some more in depth looks.

>>52511854
>>
File: pg33_khanate_return_300dpi.jpg (339KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
pg33_khanate_return_300dpi.jpg
339KB, 1600x1131px
>>52521805
Cool thanks. Gonna buy some platoons. I hope you find someone to play a game with. If youre in the Seattle area by chance, we could do some gaming.
>>
>>52523507
That's a very kind offer anon, but sadly there's a big ol' ocean in the way.

I'm not even from Hampshire.
>>
>>52507566
Attack Vector: Tactical and Squadron Strike sure seem like it for space combat. They're not a thing I can coerce my friends into playing though.
Thread posts: 307
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.