[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 36

File: 1483935723679.jpg (354KB, 930x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1483935723679.jpg
354KB, 930x1044px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52337544
>>
>>52343437
For dice? I live in a college town, so there are probably some underground fa/tg/uys nearby, but I have no dice.
>>
For those who have it, what are people's impressions of the Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
>>52343484
It's 11:30 on the eastern seaboard, I don't think any of my shops are even open yet buddy.

Funny enough I ended up running the Sunless Citadel last year after a party wipe so I want to see what updates they've made.
>>
>>52343562
Yeah, but some people have already got copies.
>>
Is assassin rogue archetype is good or it's outshined by swashbuckler?
>>
>>52343682
The way I see it is that Assassin is strong if you're regularly making use of its abilities, which you usually Don't do in a typical party makeup/campaign
>>
File: 1364161377979.gif (123KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1364161377979.gif
123KB, 480x270px
Are hit points to go up linearly or exponentially? As in, is it Number + Con Mod * Level or Number + Con Mod * Level For each Level?

Or is a Level 2 barbarian with a +2 in Con supposed to have 23 HP or 32
>>
Has anyone tried to use 3d6 or 5d4 instead of the d20, if so, how did it go?
>>
>>52343313
New thread, so,
>>What should I take for Maneuvers? I was thinking Riposte, Parry, and Disarm.
>>
Alright, quick question.
Manacles, rope, etc. have designated hit-points right? Theoretically, couldn't someone just punch something many times in a row go break something apart?
>>
>>52343763
you start with your max hit dice+CON mod at first level. as a barbarian at level 1 with 14 CON (+2 mod) you would have 14 hit points. after that you can either roll for HP or, more often than not, take the average of the dice (which is 7 for barbarian) and add your CON. so each level after 1st, you gain 7+CON mod HP. increasing your con also retroactively increases your HP for each hit dice.

so at 2nd level you should have 23 hit points. if you CON increases to 16, your hit points change to 25. hope that helps!
>>
I've been reading trough the Roll20 version of Tales of the Yawning Portal, and overall I really like everything that's been done.

The maps are beautiful, the adventures look pants on head crazy, and the loot is plentiful.

What I don't like is that there is a lot of only Monster Manual creatures all over the place, with a few custom ones where they couldn't get away with it I guess.
Also true that I don't know what the original adventures were like, but would like if there would be notes for DM's on "XX from Volo's guide would fit perfectly here instead of xx" or whatever.
>>
File: 1474086869689.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1474086869689.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
>>52343664
And they aren't already SHARING
>>
>>52343771
3d6 would not work for this system because it is based on "20". As for 5d4 I never ran any playtests myself. It would be obviously far harder to hit criticals and would make the game, I suppose, more difficult?
>>
>>52343860
Also would like to add that the book holds your hand so fucking much on these adventures, its amazing, you literally cannot fuckup.
>>
>>52343881
You swap any mentions 20 out for 18 on 3d6 usually. 19-20 is now 17-18 etc.
>>
>>52343855
Thanks, some people in my group got info that it was the other way (cited from convention players), and I found contradicting statements for both versions, though I can't find it now. The second way allows for way better player HP scaling but the way it's worded in thr PHB is really ambiguous
>>
>>52343881
It would make it much easier to hit and be hit with attack rolls, but also much easier for everything to make saves, due to your 5-20 range (high minimum)
>>
>>52343789
Menacing Attack is probably the most powerful maneuver. Frightened is a fucking annoying condition to be afflicted with.
I would consider picking this maneuver up just for its incredible potential.

Parry really isn't super good since it only reduces the damage you take. Like the Monk's Deflect Missiles but worse; has a resource cost and lower potential.
Defensive Duelist is a better Parry, but there's better things to spend your ASIs on.

Riposte is neat for high AC characters, good choice.

Disarm can be done outside of a maneuver if your DM allows the Disarm action from the DMG.
Best use of Disarm is for a Solid Snake type character who also has Tavern Brawler; unarmed attack, Disarm if it hits, bonus action grapple, free object interaction to kick their weapon away (or grab it to use against them).

Commander's Strike can be considered if you're going to be working with a melee Rogue. Otherwise kind of underwhelming.

Goading Attack seems a nice fit for the duelist stereotype, but Menacing Attack is better and can be used in a similar way.
>>
File: Fuhriously_Taking_Notes.gif (3MB, 694x386px) Image search: [Google]
Fuhriously_Taking_Notes.gif
3MB, 694x386px
>>52343915
>>
>>52343876
An anon posted the ToC and was posting requested pages like one or two threads ago.
>>
>>52343763
Linear.

The reason the text is odd is that it's designed to tell you the total without having to add up each level of health.
So if you're arbitrarily making an 8th level character, it's however you calculate HP at first level + 7 (each level beyond first) * (Hit Die + Con mod)

It's poor wording, I know, but that's the idea.
>>
>>52343771
I don't think anybody would willingly do this ever. Rolling multiple dice removes the lower range of the numbers, decreases the chance of getting low and high results, and increases the chance of getting middle results.
>>
>>52344006
What you mean is that it gets less swingy because of the inherent bell curve distribution, instead of the linear distribution of a d20.
>>
>>52343915
>Best use of Disarm is for a Solid Snake type character who also has Tavern Brawler

I need this. Should I go Scout over Battlemaster for flavor and pick up the Disarm maneuver with Martial Adept?
>>
>>52344006
3d6 is brought up fairly often in d20 games, its not some new made up thing no one has done before.
>>
File: UA Modifying Classes.pdf (185KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA Modifying Classes.pdf
185KB, 1x1px
>>52344051
If your DM would accept Scout, you might want to consider the spell-less Ranger. It's basically the PHB Ranger trading spells for maneuvers and some non-magical healing.
>>
>>52344021
That's the big part, but I think anon was also just referring to how there's no 1 2 3 or 4 in 5d4 and no 1 2 19 or 20 in 3d6
>>
>>52344006
Which incredibly favors the players, so why wouldn't the players do it?
>>
>>52344131
You go from a 5% chance to crit to a 0.5% chance to crit. Why not flip a coin to decide if you hit or miss instead. If it gets stuck on it's side somewhere then it can count as a crit.
>>
>>52344051
Keep in mind that you need STR for unarmed attack if you're not a Monk. Also important for Athletics if you're going to grapple.
>>
>>52344125
Oh shit true. I'll put it on the Revised Ranger and use that. I can perform an Disarm on everyone if I go Hunter with Whirlwind which is kinda funny even is less then useful.

Or see of I can convince him that I should go Deepstalker and swap spell list for Magic Unarmed attacks.
>>
File: 3d6_bellcurve.png (6KB, 252x295px) Image search: [Google]
3d6_bellcurve.png
6KB, 252x295px
>>52344153
>0.5%

ACKSHUALLY....
>>
>>52344180
>ACKSHUALLY
>>
>>52344153
>You go from a 5% chance to crit to a 0.5% chance to crit
Anon, you need to math a little better, and play the game a lot more.
The players do not crit.
The DM does, and it is ALWAYS far, far worse. Solidly reliability in saves and attacking are absolutely in the players favor, because the outliers punish the players, not aid them.
>>
Order of the woke mystic is bad. you can solve all mysteries instantly like a psychic scooby doo
>>
>>52343438
If any of you who faught in arena last time want to continue please reply
>>
>>52344180
>>52344195
Good.
>>
>>52344198
As I tried to allude to with the coin flip recommendation, I was trying to say you're draining the gambling-esque fun out of it. The best times in life are when you get to experience swings between highs and lows.
>>
>>52344248
Not everyone likes the incredible swinginess of d20s, anon, and your attitude that the most swingy dice of them all is the only way to have fun smacks of ignorance.
>>
>>52344270
I would rather eat my armor than admit that I'm wrong.
>>
>>52344270
I played a campaign using Fantasy Age which is a 3d6 system and it was boring as fuck. Since you hit so consistently they made all the enemies enormous health sponges.

The entire stunt point system was added on to compensate for how fucking boring 3d6 rolling gets.
>>
>>52343915
Hm... I -might- take Disarm anyhow, after looking at the DMG. I'm playing a houseruled-in Ratfolk à la PF, so I'm size Small, which'd mean I'd have Disadvantage on disarming medium or larger creatures with the DMG version. Menacing Attack would be fucking broken with Swashbuckler though, since I could use it in concert with Panache, though I agree Goading Attack seems more RP-appropriate to a charismatic duelist musketeer type.
>>
>>52343771
I remember reading a discussion on this topic on these boards some time ago and bottom line was the system isn't balanced around the alternatives.
>>
Just wanted to thank the anon who uploaded the maps from Tales from the Yawning Portal to the mega, thanks anon.
>>
Looking forward to the art and tokens too. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>52344498
>the system isn't balanced

You can say that again!
>>
>>52343771
What players actually want is not a summetric distribution like these. You want to move the probability peak closer to the high end, but still keep the low end results (1,2,3 etc) just make them rarer. When these become rare, critical miss becomes fun, criticals become something you can build a character around
>>
So I'm wanting to play a LG Paladin, not lawful stupid, but have never run a Paladin before. What are some good feats and spells to run other than smite?
>>
>>52344659
Sorcadin all the way.
>>
>>52344659
>Spells
Most of the time, you will not be casting spells at all, other than bless or shield of faith. You smite instead.
As for feats, most of powergamers here will advise you great weapon polearm master, but I did just fine with a shield master.
>>
Can someone with the Tales from the Yawning Portal book/roll20 module say what levels the adventures are intended for?
>>
How exactly do warlocks fit into a non-evil party?
>>
>>52344863
Easily.
>>
>>52344779
I had figured smite would be the main, and I just wasn't sure if there was anything other than the two listed that are a good idea.

As for powergaming yeah I'm not sure if I wanted to do a sword and board or go for pole arm style.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 280x215px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 280x215px
How's this for a cool new wizard spell?
>>
>>52344779
For what its worth, 5e isn't balanced for feats. So a party with several "optimized" characters running Sharpshooter, GWM etc. will have to have their encounters specifically balanced for them.
>>
>>52344766
>>52344779
I should also mention it's a one shot where we start at level 15.
>>
>>52343457

I buy them off e-bay from China for literally 2 dollars, free shipping
>>
>>52344840
That preview got put up a while ago
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/TYP_Intro0227.pdf
>>
>>52344924
Should be:

>Components: V, S, M (naturally carbonated water)
>>
>>52344930
Oh, take a look if you like this build:
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sorcadin(5e_Optimized_Character_Build)
>>
>>52344927
True but it's what we've always run, also it'll be against a CR 24, and >>52344930
>>
>>52344868
Oh thanks that explains everything.
>>
>>52344980
I don't see the issue. Unless you meant the fiend warlock specifically. That's pretty evil.
>>
>>52344944
that's... actually pretty funny!
>>
>>52344980
Warlock don't need to be evil. Aside from Infernal patron the other patrons are neutral, you can just be that guy that knows weird stuff.
>>
>>52345028
Or the guy who don't really know why he can use magic.
>>
>>52344980
Read Brimstone Angels, you can totally be a non-evil Fiend Warlock
>>
>>52345028
I made a Neutral Good Warlock with Fiend pact which I explained as his ancestor was the one who made the pact on the condition that it would carry over unto the seventh generation of his progeny, and through a one night stand with a bar wench a very nice village boy got the surprise of his fucking life when he turned 16 and found out he has a family history of warlockery.
>>
>>52345088
good idea actually
>>
>>52345052
>>52345071
>>52345088

The way warlocks get their power really leaves them open to come up literally with any excuse as to why they have their power.
>>
reposting from last thread:

What's the best way to build a Hexblade? Is dual wielding feasible? I really don't want to rely on cursebringer either since I only rolled two good stats and that would make me a little MAD. Before racials I have the following:

>>
>>52345163
Well when your only condition is "convinced something, somewhere, to give it to me" you can get away with a lot of shit.

Maybe you got drunk and pissed on a shrine to Pelor and Orcus liked your style, maybe you sacrifice babies to Shub Niggurath beneath a gibbous moon, it's all the same mechanically.
>>
So i'm trying to figure out a good way to give an aspiring bard a dying curse. Anyone have any reasons a bard would be afflicted with a curse this powerful?
>>
So if either a pit fiend or a balor can be your patron, what happens if you just kill them? Do you lose your powers?
How many warlocks can a balor even maintain? They aren't that strong.
>>
>>523452
Or a GOO pact Warlock who got his power from some Flumphs. They're always absorbing terrible knowledge, and when he saved them they were happy to help by gifting it all to him.
>>
>>52345244
He wrote and performed a play lampooning the Warlock King of Darkbadia and the guy was SUPER pissed about it.

But sending his armies would make him look petty, so he cursed him with wasting death instead.
>>
>>52345244
His songs were so bad that even the gods were annoyed by him.
>>
>>52345163
My friend played a Archfey Warlock who got his powers when he was tricked into marrying a hag. After escaping her, but still under their "marriage contract" he can still use the powers and he only referred to his patron as his "Ex-wife".

"I use Fey presence to project the fearsome visage of my ex-wife".

Fun times
>>
>>52345244
He heard a really sad song.

It's a perfectly mythically accurate reason for a dying curse, but it doesn't stop him being really embarrassed by it.
>>
File: Wizard Portrait.png (1MB, 798x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard Portrait.png
1MB, 798x1000px
How I envision him: A sun elf noble and evoker with a forceful personality and a sly sense of humor, who likes to flirt with the ladies a bit too much.

He sees magic as a means to an end, and cares little for magical theory and study, and so most of his prepared spells are simple and flashy (fireball, invisibility, bigby's hand etc). Not overly fond of enchantment spells, prefers to use his 12 charisma to win over the women instead.

Often times he gets too caught up in adventures to bother to study or increase his skill in the Art back at the Tower of the Sun on Evermeet. His father is stuffy and pushy and often demands his son return to Leuthilspar "this instant". Loosely affiliated with the Harpers, but prefers to have wealthy backers/companions so he can travel in style.

The question is, lads, what do I name him?
>>
>>52345201
>My family comes from a long line of paladins of Lathander. >Growing up I was constantly force fed Lathander this Lathander that. >Get pissed run away from home. >Bane sees an opportunity to strike down a family of paladins from within. >Grow up and realize Bane needs to GTFO. >Ask Lathander for help. >Priests Lathander perform a ritual through me to destroy every single warlock of Bane across the world. >Die a hero.
>>
>>52345303
Incredible. I love it so much.
>>
I'm thinking of doing an Adventure League for the first time, is there anything specific I should know in advance?
>>
>>52345319
Golbringar Silvertonge
>>
>>52345319
Lysan Glitterflit
>>
>>52345310
I like this one, how does this sound she came in contact with cursed sheet music that when played caused her to become cursed.
>>
>>52345372
>>52345381
Those are pretty good actually!
>>
>>52345191
you're better off just eldritch blasting instead of twf, unless you really just want to for flavor points or unless your DM allows you to have two pact weapons.

cursebringer is really the major reason to go hexblade. if you do go that route, go STR 16 DEX 12 CON 12 INT 9 WIS 10 CHA 17. go drow for 14 DEX and 18 CHA. get fiend sight and cast darkness on your armor and just go to town smiting down enemies in a dark fog and bump STR at every opportunity. alternatively, you could just pick any race that gets a good STR bonus. half orc lets you crit better, bugbear for reach, or dragonborn for better CHA and a breath weapon. duergar could also be a good choice for starting with 18 STR. triton is also really good for your build. if you can't get a 14 DEX to get the most out of your medium armor thats fine, -1 AC isn't that big of a deal and you're mostly in to deal damage rather than tank.

if you're allergic to cursebringer that bad, go something with +2 DEX and get a shield+warcaster. 19 AC with a high CON will make you fairly hard to kill and your invocations will mean that you won't be too flimsy slapping around your sword. if your DM allows multiclassing, dip 2 or 3 levels into paladin for smite and a fighting style. some of the level 1 paladin spells are pretty useful too.
>>
>>52345334
>Bane needs to GTFO

He's necessary evil.
>>
>>52343893
Tbh I'm okay with that. The DM should be able to provide a perfect grognard experience without being a grognard
>>
>>52345452
He's the necessary big guy.
>>
http://planescape.com/
<excitement intensifies>
seriously tho, holy shit
>>
Please anons, tell me how the furg did the gith beat the mind flayers. Their abilities have nothing that can stand up to them.
>>
>>52345452
>>52345485

Yeah Bane needs to GTFO, but I know that's impossible. That's why I'm taking down all his warlocks with me. Also I fail at greentext.
>>
>>52345506
I get it.
>>
File: 1479986404016.jpg (33KB, 163x240px) Image search: [Google]
1479986404016.jpg
33KB, 163x240px
>>52345506
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE
>>
>>52345521
numbers and it being unexpected.
>>
>>52345521
Illithids got lazy, complacent and I think a gith slave killed an elder brain.
>>
>>52345420
Sounds suitable. There's been cursed songs and music in sheet form in fiction before.
>>
>>52345521
Some believe that they didn't, the Mind Flayers just time hopped to the future for their own reasons and are going to come back at any time and obliterate the gith instantly.
>>
File: frazetta9.jpg (68KB, 550x405px) Image search: [Google]
frazetta9.jpg
68KB, 550x405px
>>52345506
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
>>
File: This is gonna be good.gif (1MB, 276x210px) Image search: [Google]
This is gonna be good.gif
1MB, 276x210px
>>52345506
>>
>>52345521
They were stronger, back then. Before Zerthamon's betrayal for his masters. Before he shut his eye, and became their pet. Before he sundered the gith, and led his fools to exile in Limbo.
>>
File: doubt.jpg (11KB, 382x77px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
11KB, 382x77px
>>52345506
But why this? Don't toy with my emotions.
>>
>>52345334
If you're from a long line of Lathanderites, are you also from a long line of Amaunatorians?
>>
>>52345621
I think you mean the other way around Githyanki ate the ones who sundered the race.
>>
>>52345626
Oh. So what you're saying is that planescape isn't happening.

guess I'll just die then
>>
>>52345652
Simple answer yes.
>>
>>52345485
for you
>>
File: maybethis.png (60KB, 425x125px) Image search: [Google]
maybethis.png
60KB, 425x125px
>>52345521
Maybe pic related but i liked more this explanation >>52345578
>>
>>52345265
>Do you lose your powers?
Up to the DM I suppose. I've seen some people interpret it as "the patron teaches you magic, but killing them doesn't un-teach it", in which case no, you don't. You'd definitely stop gaining warlock levels, though.
>>
>>52345626
>>52345663
They announced it on twitter with "What's a plane escape? Who put this countdown here?" iirc
>>
>>52345429
That's some good info, thanks. I don't hate curesbringer it just doesn't fit the concept I had in my head for my character. I feel that it's so hard to pull of two weapon fighting in 5e, especially as a gish. They made that bonus action so important.
>>
>>52345521
My favorite theory is that the history books the mind flayers brought back from the future said they lost to this rebellion, so they went and lost in order to avoid paradox.
>>
>>52345654
No, Zerthimon wanted to hold back when the Gith could have wiped out the Illithid scourge. When it came to saving the Gith, and the cosmos, from the Mind Flayers, he flinched.

Or worse, he did as he was told.
>>
>>52345765
Who announced it? post your proof faggot.
>>
>>52343457
You can buy literal hundreds of dice on amazon for like, 100 bucks.
>>
>>52345803
Do a search for "dungeons and dragons twitter", double faggot
>>
File: Artisan's blessing.png (20KB, 699x175px) Image search: [Google]
Artisan's blessing.png
20KB, 699x175px
In a village of Backwater, Bumfuckistan, lives a single exceptional man - a forge cleric. Assuming he has a steady supply of metal, what helpful things he can do for his community with artisan's blessing?
>>
>>52345710
Any problems with heresy, trying to keep up with the two faces of the god?
>>
>>52345787
source?
>>
>>52345787
The Illithid aren't much of a threat anymore, and the Githyanki never fucking had them on the edge, Zerthimon also didn't submit to any master, he saw that the Gith were going down a dark path to where they would be no better than their former Illithid masters.
>>
>>52345818
I don't need that many. Does walmart not carry like a bag of dice?
>>
Anons? This is just something that's been bugging me... we've had Half-Elves and Half-Orcs for a long time, right?

Well, thing is, there's been some other Half-Whatsits over various editions. Half-Dwarfs, both Athasian (Mul) and Krynnish, have been a thing for at least two editions. Same with Half-Gnomes. Dragonlance has Half-Goblins, whilst Kingdoms of Kalamar has Half-Hobgoblins.

Do you think that, mechanically, 5e could handle any of these races?
>>
>>52345803
I assumed you could use twitter's search feature
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/845331125723639809
>>
>>52345850
They're both Goodly Gods, and Lathander is now the dominant persona.
>>
>>52345872
Not the wacky dice, no.
You can get much smaller amounts of dice from amazon too, I just prefer the big bag.
>>52345854
The Illithid have an empire in the future. They will always be a threat, and we know this because in the end they win.
>>
>>52345852
Planescape: Torment. The Unbroken Ring of Zerthimon.

Which is actually a forgery made by an immortal for the purposes of manipulating a Githzerai into doing his bidding.
http://www.salikon.dk/planescapetorment_text04.html has the text.
>>
>>52345900
Define wacky dice.
>>
>>52345889
Amauntor is/was Lawful Neutral. For more information on deceptive practices of Sun gods, see Pelor, the Burning Hate.
>>
>>52345873
Yes.
>>
>>52345909
literally anything that isn't 6 sided, and thus has to be bought from the internet or hobby stores.
>>
>>52345961
Fuck.
>>
>>52345900
Their empire collapsed, they went back in time to before they evolved to prevent it, and so far are failing, they may be a threat but they're not going to win, they have altered the timeline irrevocably and it's not in their favor.
>>52345927
Amaunator became Lathander, he was never deceptive about who he used to be, and being lawful neutral isn't a bad thing.
>>
>>52345850
Nah, it's easy to work out. Interesting members of his family worship Lathander, and the boring ones worship Generic Sun Father #9988423.
>>
>>52344840

Sunless Citadel: 1st level
Forge of Fury: Starts at level 3 ends with characters at level 5.
Hidden Shrine: From level 5.
White Plume Mountain: From level 8.
Dead in Thay: Starts at level 9 and ends at level 11.
Against the Giants: Starts at level 11.
Tomb of Horrors: "Only high-level characters stand a chance of coming back alive, but every player who braves the Tomb will have the experience of a lifetime."
>>
Is it a really bad idea to use 13 13 13 12 12 12 stats? Racials will bump some 13s to 14s, but since I plan on taking some feats and am thinking about multiclassing I don't see many ASI in the near future. I don't mind being average, but if those numbers make me weak to everything then I'll specialize a little more.
>>
>>52345961
There's another option... do you have any education stores near you? Like for teachers and such?

They might have polyhedral dice.

After all, it's where they first came from.
>>
>>52345907
Ho-ly shit anon! This is great, thanks!
>>
>>52345303
Even though warlock is a class I have no interest in playing, your post made me want to build a warlock with a similar concept. Damn. Since I'm perma-DM, I might use it as an NPC, the players could have fun with it.
>>
>>52345978
>lawful neutral isn't a bad thing

It's not a capital-G Good thing either.
>>
>>52346034
It's from Planescape: Torment, of course it's great!

Seriously, no problem. It's a great sideline. That game was brilliant for learning magic.

You start off learning it from a witch who teaches you by having you doing her chores.
Which makes your spellbook, and she's most put out when you realise the lessons behind the chores because she was hoping on stringing you along as an apprentice for a few years.

There's the Githzerai, who you learn from his holy text.

And then there's the sorcerer. Who's constantly on fire, and teaches you by taking parts of your body, and burning them to infuse those bodyparts with magic.
Which his how he was taught, years ago.
By you.
>>
>>52346116
He was captial LG Lawful Good during the Spellplague, much as iIfucking hate the spellplague, it's true
>>
>>52345786
fucking kek, I love this explanation
>Eh, I guess we'll let them go. I mean, if we don't, that might break the space-time continuum.
>>
>>52346144
Haven't played it but it has a great storyline. Maybe i should "buy" (aka torrent) it.
>>
>>52346238
It's worth it.

I mean, even if I play it in only one way. Lawful Good mage all the way there's still a bunch of options.

And of course, it's one of the few games where evil is really Evil.
>>
>>52346159
That's because 4e didn't have a Lawful Neutral alignment.
>>
>>52343860
Dangit, seems like there's something wrong with my version of Tales. All the handouts are blank, no text, just images! I was hoping it was something they'd update soon.
>>
>>52346287
In the scriptures of zerthimon, it is mentioned a way to shield your mind from the illithid attacks. Is this a kind of mind blank spell?
>>
>>52346290
I don't really care that it didn't.
>>
Starting drawing my own maps for my homebrew campaign, lads.

gonna take months
>>
>>52346365
don't worry, Mike
>>
>>52346314
Most likely, although it depends on if they're psionic or magic in nature.
>>
>>52345506
What am I looking at?
>>
>>52346031
I personally don't think it's a bad thing, though I tend to go for 14, 13, 13, 12, 12, 10 myself.
>>
>>52346290
>>52346330
You can't say classifying Amaunator as Lawful Good is legitimate when the edition that classified him such didn't have his original alignment listed.
>>
>>52346083
The friend who made it is in a similar situation actually, since he's normally perma-DM. He only got to play it since someone was running a one-shot, but he ended up dying in it. He plans to bring him back in the campaign he runs though, before the character escaped from the Hag.
>>
>>52346388
That's Mr. Hunt to you
>>
>>52346400
I tried to convert gith and illithids using mystic v3 rules, but i stamble on the plane shift ability. Wat do?
>>
>>52346437
It doesn't matter whether you think it's legit or not, it's canon for the realms.
>>
>>52346478
Amaunator, god of the sun LN

From the Sword Coast Adventure Guide.
>>
>>52345874
PLANESCAPE?
COULD I GET MUH PLANES?
>>
>>52345873
You know, I've just been thinking about this... traditional D&D lore for gnomes is that they're fairly friendly towards human, they're open-minded, and they like experimenting. Which means any guy with a taste for shortstacks is much more likely to succeed at getting a date with a gnome chick than he is with a dwarf.

Ad in that gnomes don't have that low fertility associated with dwarves and, well... does anyone else think that, really, half-gnomes probably make about as much sense as half-elves do?

Likewise, don't half-goblins and half-hobgoblins make as much sense as half-orcs do, given the infamous fecundity of goblinoids and the fact they tend to have similar niches to orcs?
>>
>>52346617
Gnomes reproduce by budding
>>
>>52346617
Isn't this the origin of the Halfling?
>>
File: from-mm.png (78KB, 393x167px) Image search: [Google]
from-mm.png
78KB, 393x167px
Can an anti-magic field completely supress a dragon's breath??
>>
Does anyone count ammunition?
>>
File: Sage Advice Compedium.pdf (613KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sage Advice Compedium.pdf
613KB, 1x1px
>>52346712
Page 9
>>
>>52346712
Yes.
No.
Maybe.
Depends on the DM
>>
>>52345506
I really don't want to do an official setting game, but I had forgotten how much I liked Planescape the video game.
>>
>>52346462
You could either make a full Discipline devoted to messing around dimensionally (such as the Yanki's misty step ability. (Or should that be mysti step?)

Or you could make it a power in the Nomadic Step Discipline, probably with a high cost there.
>>
>>52346754
Usually I don't, I just handwave it as them refilling and picking up and ammo that hasn't been destroyed in combat.

I have a player who has some incredible immersion though and she made everyone aware of ammunition scarcity just by the way she plays her character. So now they're all noting where their javelins/arrows/bolts land and go searching for them once combat has ended.

When they collect used ammunition I roll a d20 vs. DC 10-15 or 5, the former for arrows that hit a target and the latter for arrows that miss. A success indicates that the arrow was successfully recovered.
>>
>>52346756
thanks anon
>>
>>52345845
You can always bring a broken metal item to perfection again with this.
You can turn a spoon into a fork. Or any weapon into any other weapon/shield.
You can create fine works like clocks without any of the technique, or fine works of metallic art.
>>
Should i bother make a homebrew fighter archetype that uses psionic disciplines (psionic eldritch knight) or should i just make a psionicist?
>>
>>52346804
Could you describe that character more? Even though they rarely get used, rules for things like travel and ammunition are charming to me. I like your system, but if you want to save time the PHB says you can recover half the ammunition you use after a battle by searching for a minute.
>>
>>52346759
I don't know, can you repeat that question?
>>
>>52346894
It's a ranger that spent a significant part of her life in the Underdark. Due to the natural scarcity of wood present in the Underdark she makes a habit of noting where her arrows and bolts go, even when they miss their intended target.

I imagine one reason the Drow use hand crossbows instead of bows or regular crossbows is that it's much easier to make a metallic bolt for a small hand crossbow, whereas an arrow made out of metal is almost an impossibility.
>>
>>52346504
And yet he and Lathander are one in the same? Hm, i like the new duality, but amounator was still lawful good during the spellplague, it's still canon.
>>
>>52346920
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW!
>>
File: Werejaguar.png (128KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Werejaguar.png
128KB, 280x280px
The Roll20 art assets and tokens for Tales from the Yawning Portal are now in the Mega.
>>
>>52346031
I think you know the answer, but not the degree. Minmaxing isn't gone; if you want +1 on your knowledge rolls to the detriment of your to-hit/damage then that's for you to decide.
>>
>>52345978
>Their empire collapsed, they went back in time to before they evolved to prevent it, and so far are failing, they may be a threat but they're not going to win, they have altered the timeline irrevocably and it's not in their favor.
I thought the idea was they went back to found it? Stable time loop. They go back to the past to create what exists in the future.
>>52346197
It's a nice way to explain why Mind Flayers don't rule the world when they've got weird future tech and everyone else has like, swords. The history books say they try to take over the world but fuck up and loose to a ragtag band of adventurers, so that's what they do.
>>52346238
Yeah, it's good. Give it a try.
>>
>>52346405
The URL is Planescape, an old D&D setting a lot of folks liked.
>>
>>52346888
I'm not sure Extra Attack, and disciplines should be mixed.
>>
>>52344634
You want to know the easiest way to move the peak higher whilst keeping low results?

3d6 -> 4d6 drop lowest
or 1d20 -> 2d20 drop lowest

Oh hey, what was that new mechanic they kept boasting about in 5e?
>>
>>52347054
Might be but I recall something saying somewhere that they fucked it up by going back.
>>
File: dargon spear.jpg (31KB, 600x343px) Image search: [Google]
dargon spear.jpg
31KB, 600x343px
>>52345506
>it ends up being Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition
>new hamfisted social poltics "upgrades" are shoved in
>>
>>52347102
Why not? Think of a fighter with 2 or 3 disciplines and way less psi points that the mystic. The same thing that the eldritch knight does with spells. Didn't they have something like that in previous editions (psion?).
>>
>>52346365
What program or are you hand-drawing it?
>>
>>52346985
>"Oh yeah the Spellplague, that was some crazy time for me, and I'm a God of Time, you know? Felt I needed to step up and do more for the common man, you could say it was a bit of a religious phase for me. Anyway, I like to think I've settled down now, found my niche. Lawful Neutral makes sense for me again, spellplague just had no place for it."
>>
Hey, been working on a custom spell to sorta replace Shatter's old niche in a custom setting. Don't worry about what it's based one, faggots.

Apples to Oranges
(Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Druid)
3rd level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (A small slice of fruit)
Duration: Instantaneous
Make a spell attack roll on an object up to 5 cubic feet in size. You have disadvantage on the attack if the item is attended. On a hit, the object is transformed into a similar sized natural object of your choice. Creatures of tiny size and smaller may be targeted, and get a Charisma Saving Throw to avoid all effects. Creatures transformed by this spell retain all stats and abilities, but suffer disadvantage to all Charisma Checks and Saving Throws unless cured by Greater Restoration or similar. Magical items are immune to this spell.
>>
>>52347221
Mystra is essentially the FR God of Time, she is the one who maintains and controls the Space-Time continuum. Amaunator/Lathander does not dare try and take that from her, because she would obliterate him. He no longer owns that particular portfolio, anyway.
>>
>>52347166
>talking to the heal dispenser
Seriously tho, I don't know why everyone is acting like the dialogue of a character who you literally never have to speak to is somehow shoved in their face. Shit, the heal dispenser in the original baldur's gate could have been trans and I'd have never known because I never spoke to him other than that one time I needed raise dead cast.
>>
>>52347177
It's just going to be 'take whatever applies on attacks multiple times', and 'take whatever buff is the best'. You don't have the points to do utility things for fun, and you don't want to waste your action spitting poison for Xd8.
>>
What was the consensus on the new Favored Soul origin? Is it too powerful in any way or is it fine?
>>
>>52347177
Not really, there was the psychic warrior that was a self-buff machine, and is now the inspiration for the immortal.
>>52347102
It would be probably quite weak, almost all disciplines that do something with attacks work with 1 single attack, and take a bonus action.
What's left, that buffs ALL attacks? Growth discipline as a buff, and Brute Force's Knockback as a 'smite' mechanic?
>>
File: Annatar01.png (210KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
Annatar01.png
210KB, 401x600px
And I hate when an Orc say,
"Talk is cheap"
'Cause I'm the type to let
My gp talk for me
My spells are Art unique
My magic can part the sea
Only thing on the mind of an Orc
Is eat
By any means
You're just sardines
>>
>>52347358
Can we help you?
>>
>>52347380
no just freeposting
>>
>>52347325
It's not as broken as the old one, but it's still a top tier choice. The ability that lets them add 2d4 to any save or check is really too good for the low level it's at, and the expanded spell list is still really good; twinned Healing word can turn an encounter on it's head.

It's about where hexblade is. It's better than most other options, but the flavor isn't for everyone. But it's far from broken.
>>
File: peon.jpg (21KB, 154x158px) Image search: [Google]
peon.jpg
21KB, 154x158px
>>52347358
Me not that kind of Orc.
>>
>>52347297
There is no Time Portfolio anymore, Mystra just controls the Weave. Closest thing to a Time God is Labelas Enoreth.
>>
File: 1487896469890.png (299KB, 587x528px) Image search: [Google]
1487896469890.png
299KB, 587x528px
>>52347404
>>
>>52347418
Mystra still controls the realms ST continuum, that hasn't changed.
>>
>>52347325
I like it. You have limited spell choices, so you increase your spell quality while being saddled with an even greater burden of needing to pick correctly.
>>
>>52347051
Thank you anon :)
>>
>>52347443
Citation? When Mystra died precipitating the Spellplague the Weave went away, but time didn't. Or is that how WotC undid 4e? Those events did not happen in the ST continuum?
>>
>>52347399
>It's about where hexblade is.
Wait, what? I've been away from 5eg for some time, and last time I checked bladelocks were shit.
>>
If the Mystic is the new Warlord, which way is the best to go about lording wars?
6 Mystics, all spamming Pillar of Confidence and making 6 attacks each? They could do it maybe once or twice per encounter tho, no more.
Just 1 Mystic, with Overwhelming Attack, that the party can use only once per round anyway? If there are Rogues around that would be devastating, but with a more varied party?

How do you people do it?
>>
Hexblade UA was pretty decent:
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>>
>>52347563
She has always maintained the Space-time continuum in the realms becasue it is part and parcel with the Weave, also she never truly died, she was just diminished because she had to do a cosmic reset of the weave and letting Cyric stab her helped facilitate that and when she recovered during the Second Sundering, Ao remade the Tablets of Fate and entrusted them to her once more, resetting things to where they stood circa 2e or 3e, I've gathered this from all my experience reading FR books and playing the video games BG 1 and 2, IWD 1 and 2 and NWN 1 and 2.
>>
>>52347580
wizards released a warlock hexblade pact that's actually pretty good. medium armor, martial weapons + shields and they get a pseudo smite ability in the form of cursebringer. they also can get up to +3 magic weapon invocations that are great too. they're a bit MAD but besides that they're great.
>>
>>52347580
Hexblade is a UA subclass that buffs Bladelocks to be very good.

The main issue is that it's pretty much the only patron a bladelock CAN go now. It's too good.

Same with Favored Soul. If you want to be a Sorcerer with a wider selection of spells and not just a Fireball cannon, it's pretty much the only option.
>>
>>52346888
>>52347102
Best way to do it would probably be to take battlemaster, and replace the maneuvers with psionic effects.
>>
>>52347693
turning a shit class archetype into a good one isn't a problem. the fact that the archetype is shit in the first place is a problem. although honestly the fact that the smites they get are straight up better than paladin smites rubs me the wrong way
>>
Living in Brazil is fun they said.
https://medium.com/@t.mcgrenery/why-brazilians-are-boycotting-dungeons-dragons-3fa37ce4d8a3#.716g2sx29
>>
>>52347837
I never said that was my problem. My problem is that it will make all bladelocks the same, reducing choices.

They need to make the invocations not Hexblade specific. That would go a long way to help.

And yeah, UAs need to stop encroaching on the Paladin's Nova...
>>
>>52347862
who cares what those shitskins think lol
>>
>>52347583
I feel like it's really hard to get 6 good attacks in, even including yourself. If you can then it might be the best single target damage per point ability you can use, even in the face of it requiring concentration.

I like Incite Panic, Soothing Presence, and the two Stun AoEs more for general support, ignoring the Warlord theme.
>>
File: 1487144283998.png (11KB, 785x273px) Image search: [Google]
1487144283998.png
11KB, 785x273px
>>52347837
>the fact that the smites they get are straight up better than paladin smites rubs me the wrong way
It's good for multiclassing, and it's decent in straight up competition. You can't use PAM, and Paladins can, so it's not like Warlocks invalidate Paladins.
>>
So /tg/, I come with a short tale of "what my players did, and please help me not TPK'ing them".

I'm DM'ing Out of the Abyss for my group, tabletop, no That Guy luckily. I got to say I botched the intro a little, didn't make the Drow evil and hated enough. Little did I know that they are too batshit insane to care, it seems.

The party is: A Tabaxi Monk with little regard for civilization that holds nature's purity as sacred, a Human Cleric of Umberlee searching for glory and opponents worthy enough, a Underdark-Xenofobic Shield Dwarf Artificer with a Big Gun, and the witch.
Oh, the motherhexing witch. I let them build characters freely, and suggested the Shadow bloodline from 'Light, Dark, Underdark!". It became a tiefling sorceress madly cackling and melting faces off.
Considering the Witch theme going on, we did a little change in her spells. No Evocations, but getting to learn ANY necromancy spells. A sorcerer double-casting Inflict Wounds is a rather interesting feature in low level combat.

Level 3 characters, because if they are in the Underdark and meet something beyond their pay grade, I'm not pulling any punches. Also, too tired of lvl 1.

The escape went smoothly enough. Ront wasn't a problem because of the spooky witch of spookiness does a mean RP. They didn't give two shits about the prisoners though, so the whole cast kinda went meh. Had to give Stool some reason to get everyone linked, they made no plans, got Jorlan to offer to delay to guard change. OK, finnaly they make a move! Except they act like a bunch of mercenary murderhobbos and refuse to help those that don't "pay" for it. With what they expected it, I have no idea. They do manage to get out of the cells though, and things are going smoothly...

Until thirty friggin' seconds into the escape the Witch betrays Derendil and re-shackles him to the prison bars. Obviously the Quagoth gets quite mad and starts hollering like there's no tomorrow.
>>
File: nothanks.png (201KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
nothanks.png
201KB, 380x380px
>>52347166
>http://planescape.com/
>https://twitter.com/BeamdogInc/status/845339742501830656
><div class="clock" secret="0x50 0x53 0x54 0x45 0x45">
Hex->ASCII: "PSTEE"

I couldn't be less excited.
>>
>>52347862
Man how can people care about shit like this?
>>
File: 1489062274841.gif (4MB, 200x313px) Image search: [Google]
1489062274841.gif
4MB, 200x313px
>>52347969
>>
>>52347969
What's the problem? Don't like remakes?
>>
>>52347876
but the only invocations that rely on the hexblade patron are cursebringer and the ones that specifically work with hexblade's curse. the reason why it's superior to the other patrons is because all of the invocations that give you smite abilities rely on STR based weapons (unless you go fey but that gives you a bow). there's no way a warlock can have good DEX for armor, good STR for attack, good CHA for spells, and an acceptable CON score so they don't get fucked in melee and can maintain concentration. medium armor makes you less dependent on DEX and if you don't go cursebringer, all you need is CHA and CON. it's just easier and more efficient to build a good hexblade because they're less MAD compared to other bladelocks.
>>52347946
yeah, it's too good for multiclassing. paladin seems to have a cap on it's smite damage at 5d8 for a reason. removing that cap just makes warlocks the better dip for a smite ability. and it's not that it invalidates paladins, it's that it seems weird that an iconic class ability doesn't do as much damage as one that's a specific archetype feature. but i guess they'll probably make those changes if they decide to release the full archetype anyways.

if i were to change hexblade, i'd make the CHA to attack/damage an invocation or just part of the pact weapon feature itself. makes the other bladelocks less MAD and knocks hexblade down a small notch so that it isn't the only good bladelock.
>>
>>52348018
I don't care for remakes that much. Also I don't really play single-player games when I do play vidya. I've only ever enjoyed a handful or two of single player games
>>
>>52347969
Eh, I'll be happy so long as they manage to make the spell effects look good on monitors larger than 800x600, although I am somewhat saddened by the fact that it's not like, a setting revival or something.
Also, I am probably going to have to send death threats or something if they add characters because while their writing was actually better than that of Baldur's Gate if you ask me, writing of similar quality would be far below the standards of PST.
>>
>>52343438
Some of the orders function as intended, but others do not

Avatar: functions as intended. Psionic cleric achieved

Immortal: does not function as intended. Their ac is too squishy to be a tank unless you're playing in the rare role-for-stats game and you roll exceptionally high. The "con to AC" works as a frontline beefcake feature for the barbarian simply because they ALSO have medium armor, and thus in a point-buy game, you just go 14 dex in half-plate. There is no such option for the immortal.

Furthermore, the immortal disciplines that are save based instead of attack-roll based.... aren't going to be used by the immortal, but are going to be used by other disciplines, because the immortal, by necessity, is going to have to focus on way to many other stats other than int, even in most roll-for-stats games.

Order of the Nomad: I'm not sure what they're supposed to do in the first place, so I'm not sure if they function as intended. If they're meant to be the "not good in combat, but gets a lot of good out of combat utility options" then they function as intended I guess, but it's a stupid intention to begin with.

Order of the Awakened: there's basically never a reason to go Awakened... ever. No matter what you're trying to do, another order does it better. Failure of game design.

Order of the Soul Knife: Functions as intended, though that intention seems a bit narrow. Psionic Rogue achieved I suppose.

Order of the Wu Jen: Functions as intended. Psionic Wizard achieved.
>>
>>52348065
There are several things to keep in mind.
You need to be level 5 in Warlock for Extra Attack.
Multiclassing UA is ill advised, and if you're multiclassing UA you do cheeky stuff like go Hexblade 1, 20 Cha Paladin with +5 to all saves in an AoE once you get Aura of Protection. And if you're an Oathbreaker it's an additional +5 to damage.
And finally by the time you get to 'OP' levels of burst as a Hexblade, with Extra Attack to make sure you can actually output it all you're at the point where a normal single classed fullcaster is warping reality, and putting demons in timecubes, and whatever.
>>
How do I gain a more than basic understanding of this game? I hear people talk about magical items and shit I've never even heard of. Do I just have to DM?
>>
Guys, my dm just gave me a single use of the spell wish.
What should i wish for? Subjugation and loyalty of all i encounter? Gimme good ideas.
>>
>>52348065
>all you need is CHA and CON
The smite greatsword doesn't work with the Shillelagh effect. That's the whole point.
>>
File: 1485437844665.jpg (336KB, 1280x1726px) Image search: [Google]
1485437844665.jpg
336KB, 1280x1726px
Hey /5eg/, I have a question.

Recently my friends and I picked up 5e for a short campaign and we all agree on one thing: we all love 5e. but dislike the way Skills are handled, we don't want to go back to 3e because of the major improvements of 5e's flow, but we all agree that skills are extremely limited, both in options and execution.

I'd like to know if there's an alternate pdf regarding skills so they're handled in the same vein as older editions, both in quantity and in point allocation rather than proficiency bonuses dictated by class, and if there's a character sheet that supports the old skill list without breaking the vanilla sheet's organization and aesthetic.
>>
>>52348204
without fail?
>>
File: typ scan in progress.png (949KB, 853x785px) Image search: [Google]
typ scan in progress.png
949KB, 853x785px
>>
i want to play 5e but i don't live near anyone who would want to play it, send help
>>
>>52348122
>multiclassing UA is ill advised
i know, but i'm trying to put it into the context of as if it were non-playtest material and how i think they should rebalance it so it's more in line with the main material so far.
>>52348217
i literally said
>if you don't go cursebringer
>>
>>52348204
I ask because the wish spell is tricky and has a way of backfiring. I'd wish for a strong per round regen ability or something all the time were it me.
Or unimited spell slots, or an amazing artifact, or an unmatched connection to your god, or the ability to turn into a giant eagle, or godhood, or....
>>
> How do you guys balance magic items?
> Do you guys choose items or just roll it?
> When do you guys start giving magic items to the party?
> With which frequency do you guys give it?

I'm DMing a campaign and the characters are level 2, I think I'll give them something in level 3 or 4, but I'm not sure of how to balance it.
>>
>>52347957
So their escape window is busted. They dig through the guard tower for gear, no time to don armors. The monk & cleric go to hold whomever is coming by the bridge, the Artificer get's a Alchemist's Fire into the Witch's hands - there goes Derendil, the bridge he was crossing in flames. There's no turning back now.

They hold back some warriors with creative spell use, and lucky out when the demons arrive. Artificer & Witch go down the Priestess tower to get their magic doohickeys, luck out and there's no one there besides the giant spider. Witch proves that Strength of the Grave is OP. They then decide to stop tempting luck and actually get the hell out of dodge.

All NPCs sans mad quagoth are with them. The fallen Vrok manages to reveal the wererat twins, though. Obviously, the party loves them. Because what is there not to love in monstrous transforming gnomes? Since it seems those are never accepted, they decide to stay, too.
Elimination process makes them choose the Darklake as destination, so Sarith is the only viable guide. They have little food, but decide to go half-rations and leg it at a fast pace, leaving water for the cleric to make.
Well, they had few rations. Until the 4 Orog ambush trimmed some fat - Ront & Buppido went down - and feed them. And by that I mean they decided to eat the friggin' Orogs.

Well, there are rules for that, 16lb of meat per medium creature. Purify Food & Drink keep it fresh. The NPCs cower from the Mad Witch bathing in the blood. I'm kinda WTF'ing by then, but hey, it's the Underdark. There are worse things down there.
The threats to kill and eat the NPCs if they didn't pull their weight might have helped keep them shut.
>>
>>52348247
Think monkey's paw, kind of. The dm can fuck me on any poor wording.
>>
>>52348331
tough
>>
>>52343438
Give me an interesting multiclass character. My campaign will go from levels 4-16.
>>
>>52348311
I think I give out too many items, but I just make the encounters harder to make up for it. The party has a wider array of tools to handle bigger threats than they necessarily should be able to at their level. Basically, give them out as you please, but if you feel they start to trivialize encounters, beef up the encounters.
>>
>>52348361
Favored Soul with a 2 level dip in Paladin.
>>
>>52348331
I wished for an uncursed ring that, when worn, makes it so you don't need sleep or food. Always wish for an uncursed ring with certain attributes, so if you get fucked you can just take it off
i also once wished for a book that when any question was written in it in common, it answered 100% truthfully
or wish for 100 new wishes
>>
>>52348203
magic items aren't important to understanding the game. i know jack shit about magic items and 5e runs under the assumption that magic items are actual treasure and not just a +1 weapon that keeps you scaled appropriately to your enemies (im looking at you 4e)
>>52348285
check for any adventurer league games, your local game stores, or try online gaming like roll20.
>>52348311
>balance
just don't give your players +1 weapons or anything too early. level 3-4 is a bit stretching it unless you're throwing a lot of weapon resistant enemies.
>choose or roll
i like to choose because i feel like magic items should have some sort of story behind them. if you just roll randomly then it just feels like you're playing an MMO and i feel magic items lose a lot of their charm that way.
>when do you start giving
i don't think it's recommended to give magic weapons to any character below 7th level. more utility focused magic items like bags of holding you can basically give whenever, but it's probably best to hand them out around level 2-4. not too many tho
>frequency
not very often.
>>
>>52348257
Thank you Anon.
>>
>>52348364
The group I'm DMing loves magic items, however I fear making them too powerful very early.

>>52348401
I like how you think.
>>
>>52348435
Then set them up against a foe they must be powerful to defeat, with powerful minions, or place other powerful actors in the world which may be friendly or neutral towards the party, or both.

It's what I've done, and my players enjoy it (they also love magic loot).
>>
>>52348257
Wow, thanks for the hard work anon.
>>
>>52348204
Nothing. Either they let you ruin the game, or they ruin your character. DMs that put wishes on their game are failures.

Wish for a +1 weapon, and let your party cry bitch tears at you.
>>
>>52348465
I'm thinking in give them a Hazirawn at level 4~5, but they would have to explore a very difficult dungeon with many deadly encounters.
>>
>>52348231
I started playing D&D in the 4th edition so I don't really know how skills where like back in the day. But what exactly is your problem with them?
>>
Is it poor form to reuse a character in separate campaigns played by separate groups?
>>
>>52348391
shit, don't forget to make the ring an "unworn, uncursed" and the book an "unread, uncursed" or else youll be teleported to the current owned of the artifact who will rape you and eat you
>>
>>52348488
although you might break the game balance, that could be very rewarding. fight through a dungeon that nearly kills your party a few times to be rewarded with a very powerful artifact. just make sure you scale your encounters a bit if/after they get the sword so everything after isn't so easy. also try and reward the whole party evenly. some players might feel left out if the fighter gets a sick +2 greatsword but everyone else gets jack shit.
>>
Does anyone have digital Volo's guide maps? Spexcifically the beholder?

OotA has a possible beholder lair encounter but its a simple cavern BORING
>>
>>52348231
how are they different than 3rd?
>>
>>52348582
Unfortunately the anon who shared all the VGM tokens from Roll20 didn't listen to people telling them how to get the maps that Roll20 also provides from it, so no.
>>
>>52348580
Sure, but I'm thinking in this greatsword because the Fighter player loves powerplaying.
>>
>>52348361
>interesting
Variant Human, GWM, Bladelock/Sorcerer
Eventually get Extra Attack, and Haste. Use the Sorcerer slots to nova. Kill something every turn to use your bonus action for another attack.

Barbarian Druid, wildshape and rage. Zzzzz...

Nuclear Druid :^)

Sea SorcLock. Get the UA invocations that slow people on top of the normal invocation to push people with Eldritch blast. Stack this with the sea curse for a 0 mobility for enemies. Note that some of these effects are limited in different ways (some per turn, some per cast, some per target hit).

Hexblade 1, Oathbreaker 7 (or normal Paladin 6)
Cha to hit, PAM Quarterstaff + Shield, dueling style, 20 in Cha, Aura of Protection for +5 to saves, and +5 to damage if you're an Oathbreaker

Life Cleric 1, Lore Bard 6, take Aura of Vitality, and heal
>>
File: Continent.png (1MB, 767x577px) Image search: [Google]
Continent.png
1MB, 767x577px
Rate my map, /5eg/. The places with pure white areas are terraformed by the ruling powers into a kind of Magitek-like environment, and the bottom right was another city that was magic-nuked into oblivion.
>>
>>52348595
Have it be a broken greatsword that doesn't react to normal fire to reforge it, or whatever. They get excited about a new magic weapon, but they still don't actually get it yet.
>>
>>52348658
i can use a boat!
>>
>>52348658
Very pretty
>>
>>52348257
I have a sexual feeling about you
>>
>>52348658
Feels like there should be fewer buildings cluttering it up, but that's because it gives me a definite SNES RPG world map vibe, which were rather sparse.
>>
>>52348320
Few uneventful days latter (monsters not cutting it, honestly) their bloody path lets the Drow close in. Cue the Catman faceplanting first turn to poison. Go all out, 6 scouts coming. The Artificer can't hit for shit, the Monk is worse than a drunken sailor, but the Cleric manages to hold them time enough for the Witch to reach them, invisible, and melt two scouts off. Oh, and incinerate another to Hellish Rebuke. Monk finally manages to off the first one, last two run. The main party is near, the Priestess of Lolth furious and seeking blood.

So obviously the party calmly loots the fallen scouts. Still, luck and a few Darkness and Fog Clouds dropped by the Witch & Cleric manages to give them time to escape.

Next day, finally something they won't be able to melt though. Mad Stone Giant calls himself king of his kingdom - the ruins of a Catheral of the long-forgotten giant empires of old. He asks for tribute if they are to go through his domains.

They surprise me with their offers, the Monk actually did his before the giant even asked for it. The Witch offered the Altar to Lolth she pillaged from Ilvara's quarters, and rolled high enough for the Giant to deny the Drow passage. The Gnomes & Dwarf pay with their part of the loot from before, and the cleric offers a weapon conquered in personal combat - he did kill an Orog alone.

And then the Dwarf Artificer decided that indeed, Xenofobic Dwarfs don't trust giants.
He didn't even get near it. When the Gnomes & Dwarf decided to go without them, he tried to convince them at all costs that the giant wanted to eat them.
The Witch & Tabixa that were quite willing to do it presented a strong enough argument for them to leg it.

But then the party decided that fuck it. The drow want to fight? They will fight! And will ambush them!
>>
>>52348348
Wish-guy here, probably gonna wish for my character's goals and a place with our fighter by his keep, for a place with another party member, together forming a place to teach monsterhunters and the magically inclined. Putting me and his character in retirement. Yes he's okay with that. Feels fair since I'm not gonna get some mary sue tier shit to pull, yet it fits my char.
>>
>>52348378
3 level in hexblade lock is better now. Their Smite is sooo goood
>>
>>52348658
Why are the biggest cities in the cold regions?
>>
>>52348668
Haha, that's mean, I like it.
>>
>>52348204
Wish for fire resistance for you and all your friends
>>
>>52348751
They don't seem to be cold they seem to be Magitek areas like the guy said.
>>
>>52348723
And that's the dilemma. I don't want to go Deus Ex Machina to stop the Drow from wiping them hard, but it's still a rather impossible fight for four lvl 3 players.

I intend to allow them to scout for a proper terrain and/or creature lair to try and make it feasible, but I also don't want to leave it completely to my fiat. Any tips on how to decide what they can get? I was considering some survival/knowledge rolls for "ambush budget" or something like that.

Also, how much would Lolth help a follower willing to sacrifice a sapient being? The Kuo-Toa is still with them (as is Sarith), so the Witch is quite likely to do it...
>>
>>52348658
What did you use to make this?
>>
>>52348257
Godspeed anon
>>
>>52348792
He used Inkarnate.
>>
>>52348789
Oh I see now, weird. I think they should be in some ethereal purple or something to make it clearer
>>
>>52348727
so many chances to be fucked
good luck
>>
File: Tranor Revised.png (20KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Tranor Revised.png
20KB, 1024x1024px
>>52348698
You're right, that bothered me a bit. I got rid of some buildings, cleaned up the hex pattern grid, ect.

>>52348792
Inkarnate.
>>
If they wanted adv/disad, why did they bring back the little individual modifiers? Seems like a massive step back.
>>
>>52348870
5e has always supported both. See: cover rules, fighting styles, rage bonus damage, and so on.
>>
File: Tranor Revised.png (1003KB, 767x578px) Image search: [Google]
Tranor Revised.png
1003KB, 767x578px
>>52348852
WOW, they don't allow direct saving, okay better picture.
>>
>>52348658
What even are those waterways

Two lakes that each have two rivers going to the sea?
I mean, I suppose, I guess. But they aren't even in particularly high areas. They seem to flow from fairly flat land to the hillier areas in places.
>>
>>52348257
You're the best, anon.
>>
>>52345319
I made the same basic character before. He was a half-elf wizard named Douhini Yrrah. His father was a human noble, and his mother was a elvish bikini team model.

His dad threw him out and cut him off from his inheritance, and that was my reason for adventuring.
I really miss him.
>>
File: 1468880822726.jpg (710KB, 1110x743px) Image search: [Google]
1468880822726.jpg
710KB, 1110x743px
>>52343484

shop owner let me have it last night

it's pretty impressive, lots of maps, loads of artwork.

there isn't any designated levels (Tomb of Horrors states "this adventure is for players of high level!" but doesn't specify what/which).

the back appendices is just magic items, a repeat of 2-3 monsters, and some new monsters/enemies, and variations from the monster manual (like an animated table...the furniture kind).

There was a part of me that felt a little let down that there wasn't a new race. I would have loved at least an official translation of a Gith playable race, or a Thri-keen.

But as far as the production quality, ease of information, and art/mapwork is concerned, it's quite stellar. I love the one adventure (White Plume Mountain) where there's this massive, confusing aquarium thing full of monsters, and I remember reading the original and being confused as fuck, and in TotYP there is an artists rendition of it as an event with monsters and pc's and everything, and when you see it makes it make so much sense as to how it looks.
>>
File: 1489707084456.jpg (54KB, 320x271px) Image search: [Google]
1489707084456.jpg
54KB, 320x271px
>>52348488
>It's that fucking DOUBLE YOUR DAMAGE weapon
>At level 4-5

God I hate that weapon so much, I would at least hope it doesn't show up before characters even get more than one attack.
>>
>>52348257
We're not worthy,
Thank you.
>>
>>52348973
A guy up there gave a good suggestion: The weapon is broken and needs to be restored, so they would take a while to get it, and it happen that my scenario has a magic item forge in a volcano.
>>
>>52348849
Nah we opted for a narrative approach since a total of like half the party got wiped out
>>
>>52348285

>I'm on the internet but I don't know what the internet is.
>>
>>52348257
May your dice never roll ones anon.
>>
File: vp8jU5X.gif (789KB, 444x272px) Image search: [Google]
vp8jU5X.gif
789KB, 444x272px
>>52348257
>>
>>52349051
Maybe anon is already a halfling.
>>
>>52348593
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52349038
What vector on the internet is good for this
>>
>>52349080
roll20
>>
>>52349080
Roll20
>>52348257
<3
>>
>>52349080
What the fuck kind of wording is this?
>>
>>52349015
Yeah, that's better. It even serves a bit more plot relevance than just 'Okay, you beat stuff, have cool item' in that the players are working towards something, not just mindlessly beating up stuff and waiting for loot.

Seriously, against an AC 10 creature without GWF or GWM or anything like that it deals 2.03 times as much damage as a normal greatsword per round.
Against AC 15, 2.11 times.
Against AC 20, 2,31 times.
Against AC 25, 3.24 times.

I have a table specifically created to calculate the difference in damage between this sword and a normal sword because I fucking hate this magical item circlejerk some DMs get going on.

If a character went from level 4 to level 5 and got the sword at the same time, their damage output would be in the realms of 4.5x what it was at level 4.
>>
>>52349080
You seem like you might be legitimately retarded.

So... yeah, Roll20 is perfect for you.
>>
>>52348589
In 3e/pf/etc you'd get skill points based on your INT score (class may also factor into it?) per level and you allocate them into skills.
>>
>>52349122
I think it vary with each group, I honestly don't like giving powerful magic items early on, but this group loves it, but I still want to balance it the maximum I can.
>>
anyone here have any good magic item ideas for a death cleric that walks the path of neutrality border-line good?
>>
>>52349122
If groups of level 4-5 should get some magic items it should either very basic or is needed for next plot point like get a lance of dragonslaying and after some time get mission to kill a dragon
>>
>>52348543
Well, back in the day, from what I understand it was expected to have "your" character that went with you from game to game, even with different DMs.
Nowadays, well if it's different groups how the hell are they gonna know? Only issue may be going over any kind of magic items or other concessions your last DM gave you with your current DM.
>>
>>52349175
I'm actually okay with giving powerful magic items early on, but you have to be careful what it is and how limited it is (It might be a one-use item, for example).

A weapon that the party's unlikely to ever lose that:
1. Pretty much just doubles your damage output and makes it so that if you do have GWM you'll never actually make use of the -5 to hit ever again
and
2. Means you're never going to use any other weapon.
and
3. Can... Detect stuff. And stuff.

Is probably just going to result in the DM having to double all the monster's health.
>>
>>52349169
So in 3e and PF, you can get a wider variety of skills with lower pluses, or concentrate with a few skills in high plus ranges, whereas in 5e, you get the set proficiency bonus + stat modifier. But in 5e, skills are much more centralized to make up for it, with about 20 or so skills in total, whereas 3e or PF have dozens of skills you could separate into.

It probably would be simple enough to just port the skill charts and system right into 5e, while keeping proficiency bonuses for combat-related rolls.
>>
>>52349224
I mean, yeah. A lance of dragonslaying that helps even people as low a level as them potentially defeat a dragon that they set out on a quest to aquire, aquire and then slay the dragon with it is actually good.

But this sword? Heck no.
>>
>>52349207
Decanter of Endless Bees.
>>
>>52349236
Even without any magic items I ever put the monsters with maximum HP, if the monster has 10d10 it will have 100 HP in my table.
>>
>>52349122
Hazirawn is a magical item found in Tyranny of Dragons, and I think you can get it around level 8/9
>>
>>52349267
Seems kinda lame to me.

Making monsters into meatbags doesn't help the game.

Making monsters more dynamic so they run from combat, use tactics sometimes or perhaps stop using tactics so well when the onecommanding them die...
Things to make the combat more dynamic in general is better.

I guess you could make monsters have more health and then they 'normally' run when they're nearing low health, though.
>>
>>52349259
indeed, such sword is not something early team should get. I think by giving this weapon to fighter DM shoots himself in the foot, either enemies will die too quickly or DM will crank them up to match damage and they will murder party
>>
>>52349207
Arrows of Slaying.
>>
>>52349331
Sometimes they do run, but most of the times I like to use their full HP and other balance things depending on the situation.
>>
>>52349377
You can use more creatures instead of buffing one.
>>
>>52347862
I live here as well, hadn't known about that. What a shitty story, man.
>>
Does anyone else think having an excess of maps in a book product is excessive?
>>
>>52349239
But all the old skills were either condensed into the new skills, or else are covered by different mechanics (tools, languages from backgrounds/classes, etc) so the list at least would not be so simple to port in. Also not seeing the benefit of skill points over proficiency other than nostalgia, I guess.
>>
>>52349433
Many creatures turn up to be too strong in comparison with few buffed creatures.
>>
>>52349437
How many is excessive?
>>
>>52349437
Well by definition an excess of maps would be excessive, yes.
>>
>>52347051
Is there Monster Manuals up there? I have looked but just in case its in a different location then I expected.
>>
>>52348257
god damnit how can such cool people exist on this very earth
>>
>>52349490
>>52349503
Having maps in a printed product is already a bit much; they're usually not to scale, can't be pulled out of the product and are pretty useless for actual play. They're better as a website link at the end of a book.
>>
>>52349544
I have the Monster Manual tokens but need to finish going through and renaming them. I'll probably finish that sometime Sunday.
>>
>>52349616
question do we have art for stuff like the wereJuguar and the Oni from the adventure. Because I think we are missing a few new pieces of artwork
>>
What are cool multiclassing options for druids?

The druid in question is already a level 10 moon druid and the player likes being a melee guy, whenever he's run out of wildshape he just slaps things with his shilleaghed green flame blade staff.
>>
File: Werejaguar.jpg (73KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
Werejaguar.jpg
73KB, 450x600px
>>52349657
>>
>>52349470
Then just don't use those! Use the old things!

Easy as that.
>>
>>52349679
Ok so we are just a missing a few pieces then ok.
>>
File: Oni.jpg (83KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
Oni.jpg
83KB, 450x600px
>>52349657
>>
File: 01044b79ff6f7d49333a63a2e56afc.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
01044b79ff6f7d49333a63a2e56afc.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52349594
They should bring back the transparent hex overlays that came with the Forgotten Realms box sets. That way the maps can go unmarred by printed grids, but you can use them if you want to.
>>
>>52349695
Nevermind this. We do have all of them. I just screwed up and did not copy all the pieces in the file.
>>
>>52349207
What level is this cleric and what does he like to do?
>>
>>52349706
I absolutely loved that thing. Really wish they'd done that more.
>>
>>52349678
Where did the GFB come from? He can't be casting it on Wisdom unless he's already multiclassed Arcana Cleric.

Speaking of Cleric, I'd put a level or two there for a small dip. While Monk works surprisingly well if you put some more levels in it.
>>
File: The feast begins.gif (2MB, 288x158px) Image search: [Google]
The feast begins.gif
2MB, 288x158px
>>52349266
>>
>>52349736
currently level 7, likes to sword and board or switch to a 2H greatsword to smite the undead. Has heavy armor, and unarmed channel divinity to deliver the touch of death.
>>
>>52349207
A candle, that never burns completely away. While lit, it casts a medium sphere of darkness that completely occupies a 5x5 square. While holding the candle, you can cast speak with dead at will.
>>
>>52349207
>>52349792
Maybe something that lets them use inflict wounds more. Because inflict wounds is pretty much an unarmed attack except better.

Say, when they hit with an unarmed attack, they can replace it with inflict wounds as often as they like, but it uses the whole action so you can't extra attack shit with it or use it as a reaction or bonus. And it wouldn't work with the divine strike, I guess. Eeh.
>>
What should I get for my last spell as a level 6 sorcerer? I have Shield, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Fireball, Haste, Dispel Magic. looks like the DM is taking a small break from his personal campaign and is having us travel to Luskan. I figure I'll be wanting to loot/shit on the Arcane Brotherhood, so what spell would best suit me? I was thinking Enhance Ability, but I like helping my Fighter. Earthen Grasp is a choice for that. Just no more level 3 spells for now.
>>
>>52349932
Fly/Invisibility
Get away from anything, and cause shenanigans.
>>
New Thread

>>52350108
>>52350108
>>
>>52349911
I like that, that's really thematic. Maybe put charges on it (6) and at dawn roll a 1d20, if it's below a 10 gain back one charge?
>>52349912
I like the concept, maybe a gauntlet that acts as a +1 weapon/spellcasting focus for the purposes of unarmed attacks, inflict wounds, vampiric touch and chill touch?
>>
Got a question for a fellow player in my campaign.

He rolled a nat 1 when using a throwing bomb. Is that a miss, or would he blow himself up?
>>
>>52348959
PERFECT
>>
>>52350288
Because it's an AOE I'd be tempted to roll and see what happens, creating a basic table in my mind on the fly. On a 20 it would miss the intended target but explode near some enemies, on a 1 it would blow him up, high mid it would fly off and explode somewhere harmless, low mid it would be a dud.
>>
>>52344932
link?
>>
>>52350288
>or would he blow himself up
>5% chance when using bombs to blow yourself up
why would anyone use them
>>
>>52343438
Wait.... the codex is gone??!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/5twz0b/codex_unearthed_arcana/
>>
>>52348401
>Have a DM
>Great guy
>DM's well generally
>Draws good maps, has fun encounters, improvises well
>But he gives out magic items much too easily.

Monkey's paw, I tell you.
>>
Can I ask when using the monster manual or Kobold F. Club when giving exp to players do i use total exp per player or total exp / number of players

I want to run sunless as a one-shot
>>
So my DM is letting me play mystic for our campaign starting at level 5, however, I am having difficulty finding inspiration from a picture or story for the character. Anyone have some sweet as fuck mystic ideas or pics?
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.