[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 62

File: Orcus Cultists.jpg (54KB, 1008x626px) Image search: [Google]
Orcus Cultists.jpg
54KB, 1008x626px
>New Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana: Traps
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58c9c76c849a

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52244180

Updated OP; remember to give feedback on the previous UA.
>>
>remember to give feedback on the previous UA.
It's shit
>>
>>52248833
Then tell them. While we know Meals reads these threads, we still need to give feedback on UAs, good or bad.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12550821

Remember, this is a multiple option poll.

The options in those poll were gathered from the most highly voted options from other polls.
>>
>>52248866
>While we know Meals reads these threads
How do we know it, again?
>>
>>52248977
>How do we ""know"" it, again?
Ego.
>we did it reddit XDDD
>>
>>52248953
>Wild Magic

am I being memed
>>
>>52249017
Nope. You voted for it.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12536012/r
>>
>>52249039

No I fucking didn't, kys
>>
>>52248953
Out of curiosity are people voting for they favorite for flavor, fun or power? I can't see how Battlemaster's the top for anything but power.

My three were Stone Sorcerer for flavor, Tempest for fun and Tempest for power (Because the Theurge isn't in there).
>>
>>52248937
frig off dad
>>
>>52249110
Battlemaster's probably top because of concept. It's a sign of how martials should have been from the beginning, in the eyes of a lot of people.

GOOlocks are probably voted up based on flavor, because muh Cthulhu.

College of Lore bards are third probably because of their sheer power though, yes.
>>
>>52249110
Stone is pretty powerful in its own sense. Only reason I don't like it that much because I feel it adds too much for the DM to deal with.
>>
File: 1471063010716.jpg (51KB, 473x391px) Image search: [Google]
1471063010716.jpg
51KB, 473x391px
>>52248953
>Oath of Devotion
>>
>>52248740
Reminder that the anon who unironically hekatonposts is an autist whose opinion is shit and who you should always make fun of
>>
>>52249138
GOOlocks aren't bad, and can be cool. The 5th time you have someone wanking over their "Incomprehensible abomination" pact it gets old though.

Honestly Bard's have flavor but not their Archetypes. It's all about being slightly better at a bard thing and lore's just the best at the best bard thing.

Battlemaster... I honestly don't like. Most of the options can already be done in combat (Trips, disarms and stuff) and the rest you should have been able to do. Just feels like it does those things but adds more damage to it.

>>52249142
True, it can do some powerful things without ever casting a real spell as well. Being able to quicken and twin for 3 Booming Blades and teleport to hit people as a reaction's frighteningly effective.
>>
So cool backstories for a high elf Nomad mystic. Main part I thinking of is mentioning the characters family thinks he is a failure for not being able to become a mage.
>>
>>52248953
Why is Loremaster so popular compared to other traditions? I haven't really looked into it
>>
So guys, I want to show my party that they are not invulnerable. We are playing the Strahd adventure and they pretty much killed every encounter with almost no problems. Is Level 4 too early for them to fight Strahd in a short battle? I'm afraid he will kill them,
I'm a new GM by the way.
>>
>>52249407
It's blatantly overpowered. Force damage fireball from a mile away, ho!
>>
>>52249407
Because you can change the element and/or saving throw of every spell at a whim.
Force Damage Meteors that need a Charisma check? No problem.
>>
>>52249407
It's a loved or hated archetype.

>You can overcome any resistances or immunities to spells you cast by changing the damage type.
>Strength saving throw Hold Person.
>Spells with a range of a mile.
>Any spell of your choice from any book once per day.

The list goes on.
>>
>>52249110
>I can't see how Battlemaster's the top for anything but power.

It's the only non-magical fighter that has fun decisions to make in combat. And it's not like fighters are good at anything else.
>>
>>52249407
It's nerd power fantasies given flesh.
>>
>>52249423
Guiding them to Yester Hill is probably ideal. If you want to really spook them, there's also the Vallaki event.
>>
File: Curse of Strahd.jpg (415KB, 1536x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd.jpg
415KB, 1536x1055px
>>52249423
>they pretty much killed every encounter with almost no problems
Either they have crazy stats, you gave them magic items too early, there are too many of them, or you build encounters/use monsters like an idiot.
How did they handle the shambling mound? Have they been to the Old Bonegrinder yet? Vampire spawns in Vallaki should cause them some serious pain. Werewolves are a serious problem, unless they have magic weapons.
Shit, even druids with some wolves/dire wolves should wear them out.

Also, I have an unrelated advice. There are many subplots in Curse of Strahd, such as Izek subplot and lady Wachter subplot. If those antagonists stay alive until lategame, you absolutely should buff the shit out of them.

For example, on level 9 my party fought lady Wachter with stats of Fiend Warlock. Her cult then consisted of Cult Fanatics, Priests, Veterans, Hell hounds and Succubi.
>>
>>52249486
True. Knight and Sharpshooter also fit in there as well though, Knight is really fun in a combat heavy game.
>>
Can I get some feed back on how to have my character's flaws be better displayed, and maybe some suggested changes or additions to his faults? Curenlty he is:
>Greedy for power in any practical form. Gold, magical items, knowledge, ect
>Impulsive
>Weak as hell, -2 mod for str
>>
>>52249511
They just roll really fucking good. They killed the shambling mound in like 3 rounds with four or five crits. They even critted the hags to death after setting fire to the mill. The only magic item they have is the cloak of protection from the death house.
I will try those subplots though. Some of them sound really fun.

>>52249502
Vallaki Event? You mean the festival of the blazing sun?
>>
> Piercing Sight (3 psi; conc., 1 min.). As a bonus action, you gain the ability to see through objects that are up to 1 foot thick within 30 feet of you. This sight lasts until your concentration ends.

Boobs plate are less than a foot thick right?
>>
>>52249555
This is 1 inch thick steel. Any armor that isn't worn by a giant is gonna be less than that.

Also you wear clothes under armor.
>>
File: 1481607222199.png (662KB, 862x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481607222199.png
662KB, 862x1000px
>>52249555
>>
>>52249539
Honest work is overrated. You're all about get-rich-quick schemes. Play games of chance, cheat the shit out of them. Find the thievs' guild, try to rob it. Use your magic powers (you do have magic powers, anon?) to create the church of Scientology. Convince your party members to run scams with you - you could create hoax monsters and "defeat" them for a reward, watch Scooby-Doo for inspiration.
>>
File: heavy_plates_bump_forming[1].jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
heavy_plates_bump_forming[1].jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>52249583
>>52249555
>>
>>52249423
Not a DM myself but from what I heard in here Strahd is a push over in a straight fight. His stats are weak, he is suppose to ambush and set up trap and use coward tactic like hit and run or kidnapped and dominate a party member.
>>
>>52249547
>They even critted the hags to death
Crits or not, they fought a coven of night hags. On level 4 or earlier. They should be fucking dead.
How did the battle go? Did you pull punches?
>>
>>52249583
> objects
No one is safe from mystic.
>>
>>52249547
>after setting fire to the mill
Did they forget about child hostages the hags have? Did you forget?
>>
made a stupidly OP char using 20 str 20 char palidan war cleric and barbarian that at leve 10 deals over 150 damage to fiends and my DM got so tired of this character that he literaly did rocks fal you die
>>
>>52249623
> roll for stats
Your DM deserve it
>>
>>52249607
First they set the mill on fire, which made the hags come out one by one. Then my two paladins both rolled a crit and smote two hags pretty much two death in the first few turns. I rolled pretty bad for their spell attacks too and so the whole fight was over pretty quickly.

>>52249620
I knew about them, but they didn't. I guess they burned to death. They would have known if they didnt set the fcuking mill on fire and entered it like a normal person.
>>
File: bard 3.jpg (190KB, 589x761px) Image search: [Google]
bard 3.jpg
190KB, 589x761px
>>52248953
Surprised how badly Valor is doing, both bards I've had in my group chose it and seemed excited.

I always liked the whole "Warrior Poet" thing.
>>
>>52249592
Currently he's a level 4 Arcane Trickster. The Schooby Doo thing is clever and I might try that, but if I wanted to rob a guild I'd want it to be one with out thieves sense they know how to do all the boobytrapping.
>>
>>52249648
And you didn't describe the children screaming in the background during combat? You didn't tell them they found a newly burnt corpse of children in the hut and make them realize their mistake?

That sound like a good RP opportunity.
>>
>>52249623
Your int must be garbage, he should have looked into creatures that capitalize on that and pushed you.
>>
>>52249604
>but from what I heard in here Strahd is a push over in a straight fight
dude has triple digit HP, regeneration, and can potentially kill any character level 4 or under in one round, not to mention he's also a spellcaster he might be a push over when you are actually supposed to fight him, but any time before that, he should be able to slap the shit out of the party.
>>
>>52249204
>Just feels like it does those things but adds more damage to it.
That's the point.
You get to do the actual fun combat options without sacrificing damage.
I always have a printed list of actions available to players in combat out on the table and nobody ever does anything but attack or cast a spell because doing something else means they aren't keeping up their damage output, regardless of whether it'd pay off in the long run (like climbing on to a giant to get advantage).
>>
>>52249673
Like I said, I'm new to DMing and DnD.
>>
>>52249653
Valor isn't bad.. Lore is just too good...
>>
>>52249407
>It's everything that I ever wanted in a wizard but turned up to 11.
>>
File: 1443654799839.jpg (14KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1443654799839.jpg
14KB, 343x343px
>>52249110
as a battlemaster I picked it cuz it's just fun as shit

pew pew look at me roll hella dice and attack hella shit

rolling dice is fun
>>
File: bard.jpg (56KB, 290x500px) Image search: [Google]
bard.jpg
56KB, 290x500px
>>52249694
I guess that's it, given the usual discussions here
>>
>>52248953
>No Eldritch Knight
What is this awful poll
>>
>>52249692
You can still do it now. Have the villagers send someone after the party for murdering their children or something. Send in a weak frail old man who want to avenge his grand daugthrr if you want to make them feel extra bad.
>>
>>52249714
This sounds pretty cool. I think I'm gonna do that. Thank you. I could make him extra miserable.
>>
>>52249712
Got voted out in an earlier round because it's shit
>>
>>52249712
http://www.strawpoll.me/12498055/r

If Battle Master wasn't voted for so overwhelmingly, it might've gotten over 20% and gotten a chance.
>>
>>52249648
>I rolled pretty bad for their spell attacks too
Anon, they had magic missile at will.
>>
>>52249731
Give one of children a name and personality and list of her favorite activity and make him recite that.

If your party doesn't care then... you have a murderhobo players. Only loots and exp will motivate them..
>>
>>52249714
>You can still do it now. Have the villagers send someone after the party for murdering their children or something
But anon, children in the mill were sold to hags for meth. There's nobody to take revenge for them, since their own kin betrayed them.
>>
My DM let my rogue have a immovable rod. What ways can I use this effectively in and out of combat?
>>
>>52248953
I do NOT understand why Oath of Ancients is as popular as it is. Please, somebody enlighten me.
>>
>>52249778

All the cool Paladin toys plus the best aura. Whats not to love
>>
>>52249773
In combat, grapple enemies and pin them with it

Out of combat, bring it with you when you climb to high places or make difficult jumps and attach a rope so your party can follow

Use it to save yourself from falls
>>
File: fae construct.jpg (148KB, 649x960px) Image search: [Google]
fae construct.jpg
148KB, 649x960px
>>52249778
Fey are cool and it's something a little different to the typical LG knight type
>>
>>52249778
It's fucking good. It's flavorful, plus it gets Warding Aura.
It's a bit of a bummer, since my favorite's Devotion, but it's not undeserved.
>>
>>52249778
I dislike playing a Paladin because there only real trick is Smite harder when you crit. If I can convince my DM to let me use a bow with smiting I play Ancients because spells are the most worrying thing from the back lines.
>>
>>52249486
>It's the only non-magical fighter that has fun decisions to make in combat.

Try playing an edition other than 5e. Literally even 3.5 had fun decisions for fighters to make in combat.
>>
>>52249853
>grapple and get hit in the face
>bullrush and get hit in the face
>do anything besides full attack and get hit in the face
>>
>>52249853
>4rries continue stealthily shilling their edition
Nobody likes your game. There's a good reason it failed, and there's a good reason 5e has nothing in common with it.
>>
First question... Is reskinning legal in 5e without slipping into the homebrew shitstorm? Is it allowable in adventure league?

Second question... I want to play Alucard from SOTN and I'm planning on playing a noble undying chainlock that is a dark elf reskinned as a dhampyr. Everything seems to fit asides from the racial magic, but that can just be brushed off as additional magic from being a warlock.
>>
>>52249853
Crazily enough we're talking about 5e archetypes so even if your point wasn't retarded it still wouldn't be relevant
>>
>>52249911
>Is it allowable in adventure league?
As far as I know, no. AL is no fun allowed zone at every level, and the only people who play it are those who can't find a party of their own.

>Second question... I want to play Alucard from SOTN and I'm planning on playing a noble undying chainlock that is a dark elf reskinned as a dhampyr.
Kindly neck yourself.
>>
File: 1413570367182.jpg (36KB, 365x450px) Image search: [Google]
1413570367182.jpg
36KB, 365x450px
>>52249908
>and there's a good reason 5e has nothing in common with it.

LOL... yeah they have nothing in common. Except second wind, healing surges (hit dice), 1/day action surge shit, etc etc as well as a set bonus by level for all classes (proficiency / 1/2 level)?

At least in 4e, your AC fucking improves at some point so you can't be easily hit by a level 1 fucking orc.
>>
>>52249911
IIRC you're allowed to call stuff whatever you want in AL as long as it's recorded properly on your character sheet (so for your example just make sure it's clear your mechanical race is Drow)
>>
>>52249940
Crazily enough, maybe I am implying you should stop playing 5e and play 4e which was objectively better for fighters.

That's okay though, have fun rolling for your hit points like a fucking moron.
>>
>>52249881
> fighter gets tons of feats but I won't use even one on specializing in a combat maneuver because fighters should be able to do everything without using any of the feats they are given because I am an entitled faggot, so I play 5e where my combat maneuvers still don't mean very much but they make me feel cool and spceial even though my maneuvers have jack shit effect on the actual outcome of the combat, or really any tactical relevance at all besides extra bookkeeping.
>>
>>52249952
>Second wind
Oh no, fighters can regain a bit of hit points. So much like 5e!
> healing surges (hit dice)
Not even close. What are you doing in /5eg/, if you don't know about the system?
> 1/day action surge shit
...no?
> so you can't be easily hit by a level 1 fucking orc
A feature, not a bug.

Also, I recognize you from another thread. You were just as retarded there.
>>
>>52249952
Hit dice really aren't all that similar to healing surges beyond the general concept.

Also bounded AC is something the people like about this edition. Remember, Boromir was strong as shit and he got killed by a mob of Uruk.
I guess being hit by low level enemies shatters your dreams of being an ebic anime hero just like Kirito though.
>>
File: 1477441826098.jpg (35KB, 799x448px) Image search: [Google]
1477441826098.jpg
35KB, 799x448px
>>52249942
>Kindly neck yourself.
For someone who shits on adventure league for being no fun, you sure seem opposed to people having fun.
>>
>>52249975
>fighters get tons of feats but if I don't spend them on the tax feats my character literally will not function at a basic level
fixed
>>
>Session tonight
>Level 17 party
>Fighting a pair of homebrew super dragons
>One gets low on HP, starts to fly away
>Oh no you don't
>Pair up with an ally, Dimension Door on top of its snout, turns out flying 200 feet away wasn't far enough
>Flip myself into the dragon's mouth, end turn
>Dragon chomps on me, survive, get swallowed
>In the dragon's stomach, I reach into my pack and pull out a small magic item
>Daern's Instant Fortress
>Throw it back up into the dragon's throat, whisper magic word
>Two-story tall magic fortress erupts right inside the dragon's throat
>Dead
>Climb out of the dragon's corpse, covered in blood and spit, but victorious

That was fucking epic.
>>
>>52249989
You actually have a point, but your character is still cringeworthy weebfaggotry impersonated.
>>
>>52249952
Orson Welles really let himself go.
>>
>>52249989
Basically a lot of people here dislike anime stuff. Myself included.

GitP and Reddit are the better options for help with that character. Not insulting you but they seriously are going to be more help then being called a weeaboo faggot on /tg/
>>
>>52250012
Did it fail its Dex save? DC15 isn't that high and dragons tend to have Legendary Resistance
>>
>>52249980
>>52249979
Hit dice are basically healing surges in the way they structure healing because Wizards fags were so butthurt about the existence of CLW wands they had to add more bullshit arbitrary structure to a game. Also Merals could not balance for shit so instead of balancing casters, he made ALL the classes casters (fighter in 4e IS A CASTER, ranger in 4e IS A CASTER, and if you say otherwise you are full of shit because they use once per day abilities which ARE SPELLS) and he carried that over into 5e while bringing back shitty vancian casting, as well as hit dice to pander to grogs who don't even play D&D anymore.

>>52249980
>Remember, Boromir was strong as shit and he got killed by a mob of Uruk.

Boromir is only 7th level at best. A 20th level fighter in D&D is a literal god.
>>
>>52250067
Fuck off, Virt.
>>
>>52250012
Instant Fortress can only be summoned on the ground
>You can use an action to place this 1-inch metal cube on the ground and speak its command word.

I wish people would stop posting DM Fiat dragon-killing stories that are "totally epic" in these threads.

I was tired of it when it was a Drow soloing a white dragon and I'm sick of it now.
>>
>>52250057
Not him but even if it didn't the DM most likely thought that was awesome enough to fly. I personally would've.
>>
>>52249853
> pointing people to invest in trap option that won't work past level 5.
>>
>>52249994
> fighters get tons of feats and if I spend literally one or two of them I can do something the average person can't which is what feats represent
> i am a triggered fuck who thinks martials should be able to do everything by default as reparations for the Martialcaust of 3.5
> give me affirmative action NOW

this is what you sound like. We are not restructuring the game because you are too butthurt about your role in the game. That's how we ended up with 4e.
>>
>>52250067
>A 20th level fighter in D&D is a literal god.
I have my doubts about other editions but definitely not in 5e.

20th level fighters might be legendary, but they can still die.
>>
>>52250012
That really isn't epic at all. Also the fortress should not have worked because there was not room to expand, so basically you made up rule of cool bullshit to feel good about yourself.
>>
>>52250075

>No fun allowed
>>
File: wow.png (187KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
187KB, 361x691px
>>52250085
lol
>>
>>52249778
It's cool because while connected to the fey, it is also the enemy of the fey as they fall under being Unholy.
>>
>>52249989
Shhh you will wake up the neckbeard who think their hobby is superior to the other hobby. Despite posting in a chinese based internet message board made for discussion mango and animus
>>
File: IMG_0107.jpg (79KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0107.jpg
79KB, 719x719px
>>52248740
Whats the most POWERFUL Gestalt you can make, anons?
Remember, the rules for gestalt is: Every level, you take the features of two different classes. If two features conflict, take the better of the two.

An example is being a Champion Fighter/Hexblade Warlock gestalt. You get the fighter's hp since d10 is superior to d8. You get two classes for the price of one level, so you can reach the capstone abilities for both if you dont go fully insane by gestalt multiclassing.
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (65KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
65KB, 431x450px
>>52250100
>ending fights instantly by using a magic item is fun
>>
>>52250067
>CLW wands
Wew, I was right again, you actually are that faggot! Why do you come to /5eg/, if you hate it so much?
>they structure healing
No, they don't. Once again, this is not not 4e.
> and he carried that over into 5e
You gonna back up your shit with any proof, or are you just here to run your mouth?
> A 20th level fighter in D&D is a literal god.
It's not true in 5e, it wasn't true in 3.5, and it should not be true either.
>>
>>52250111
One half should probably be Loremaster Wizard
>>
>>52250113

>You can't do something flashy to finish off the low HP boss, you have to use a standard action to attack!
>Still no fun allowed
>>
>>52250111
Necromancer and Oathbreaker.
>>
>>52250091
>20th level fighters might be legendary, but they can still die.

Also true of a 4e fighter but at least he doesn't have a fucking shit armor class.

>>52250081
> everything that isn't an automatic gibsmedat is a trap option

Martialcucks, everyone!

You can't handle the fact you have to actually roll for your stupid shit that really has no actual consequences except slowing down combat so little babby fighter can feel like he is contributing.

Disarm? Oh look he picked up his weapon the next turn and you got an AoO. Precious! Oh look you tripped so he can't move as far! Precious.
>>
>>52250014
>>52250048
So I want to base a character loosely off of a wildly popular videogame character because I like spooky shit like vampires and I feel like a dark elf undying warlock is the best way to do it without being an ass and begging for the vampire template. I'm sorry that you were molested by a weaboo when you were little, but I'm not going to play this like a katana wielding anime edgelord. I plan on using a Transylvania accent for the majority of the campaign.

So is there a section in the book that says you can freely reflavor and reskin classes and races in the phb?
>>
>>52250133
No, anon, you can't kill the dragon by breaking the rules. No, you are not convincing anyone by making a strawman.
>>
File: careless attitude.jpg (27KB, 566x393px) Image search: [Google]
careless attitude.jpg
27KB, 566x393px
>>52250142
>waaah, my character can be hit! this edition sucks!
>>
>>52250156

Whine as you might, that's what happened.

>My no fun allowed applies to you and your table

Good luck with that, cuck.
>>
>>52250120
>No, they don't. Once again, this is not not 4e.

Yes they do, cunt. That is what short and long rests are. It's further structuring of the healing cycle because it will somehow break an adventure if the party can accomplish it in less than seven days.

>>52250120
>You gonna back up your shit with any proof,

Second Wind.
Action Surge.
Battlemaster superiority dice.

All examples of per-diem resources spent by fighters because Merals thinks martials and casters should operate on the same idiotic check-box system.

> It's not true in 5e, it wasn't true in 3.5, and it should not be true either.

No it was true in 3.5, a 3.5 fighter could fight a literal goddamn army. If you want to be vulnerable to little shit orcs, then take off your armor and fight them with your fists while blinded, don't dumb down the entire edition because you want low fantasy which is NOT what D&D is. Go back to playing AD&D, you grognard fuck, because that is where you belong. Just because Wizards' said "this edition is going to be for everyone" doesn't mean you are welcome in our community.
>>
>>52250156
The DM can wipe his ass with the rulebook if he wants to. Haven't you heard of rule 0?
>>
>>52250142
I have no idea what he's ranting about anymore. Can somebody translate this shit?
>>
>>52250160
Character can always be hit on a natural 20. Whereas a 5e fighter at level 20, has not even learned to defend himself better from a level orc warrior's attack.

He has not gotten better at parrying or dodging. He cannot defend himself better. He is effectively no better at fighting than a level 1 fighter except for his plot armor hit points.

That is fucking bullshit.
>>
>>52250154
Yeah, I get what you mean. I was just saying people here aren't likely to help you.

Normally a little bit of reskining isn't a big deal in AL, but race is pretty big change. I think it really comes down to how cool the DM is with it.

Also what's the character's deal? There might be an easier way to do it with less changing stuff.
>>
>>52250133
If you want to do retarded bullshit to kill bosses at least do something that actually works RAW like portable hole - bag of holding.

I'm not gonna bend the rules because you didn't think your plan through properly.

This actually came up a few sessions ago in my game, a player used a potion of gaseous form so they'd be less vulnerable while they contacted their ride out of there, when they said "I cast message to signal the captain to come back around" I just replied "You can't cast spells while in gaseous form", he was mad for a second but then came up with a backup plan and - guess what - we all still had fun.
>>
File: 1429129436926.gif (68KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
1429129436926.gif
68KB, 500x293px
>>52250177
Not an argument.

>>52250172
> look at this cool thing I did by cheating

Yep and I recently rolled a nat20 in a game and I instantly one-shotted Asmo
>>
>>52250184
Plot armour hit points can be a representation of greater parrying skill.

I dunno what the fuck this argument's about but I just thought I'd put that in.
>>
>>52250166
>My DM handed me a kill
Cool. We're really proud of you.
>>
File: 4e player character.png (733KB, 769x960px) Image search: [Google]
4e player character.png
733KB, 769x960px
>>52250184
lol
>>
>>52250195
>provides a clear rules interpretation that supports his case
>nuh uh its just cheating

Absolutely epic my dude
>>
>>52250111
Still nuclear druid.
>>
>>52250208
>Plot armour hit points can be a representation of greater parrying skill.

So can actually improving your hit points. You know, the thing that represents you NOT getting hit by parrying the fucking blow?

Nah let's just delete AC and use hp for everything like goddamn Numenera because it's been abstracted beyond mattering anymore. Beating AC means absolutely nothing. It's not even a meaningful mechanic. It literally does not matter.

AC should be removed from the game and your hit points should be the only measure of your character's defensive capabilities.

Yep. let's do that. All for the sake of fucking bounded accuracy.
>>
>>52250184
You've obviously never been in a real fight, even the most masterful martial artist out there knows they can lose to anybody even some random fuck in a bar.
>>
>>52250215
>clear rules interpretation
"DM gets to make up rules" isn't an interpretation, if it was then there would never be any conversation about rulings because "DM gets final say lol rule 0"
>>
>>52250215
>clear rules interpretation that supports his case
Where? Is it "my DM can do whatever the fuck he wants"?
>>
>>52250216
Make a proper gestalt you stupid faggot
>I can only spout meme builds as legitimate
>>
>>52250195
Are you just trying to argue with the entire thread at once? Please tell me which discussions you're currently involved with so I can ignore them.
>>
>>52250190

Or I could do what I did, which my DM loved, the rest of the table sat there with their mouths wide, and we all had a good time. Sucks to be you.

>>52250195

>Y-you can't do that 'cause I said so

Great, my DM said I could. Good thing you're a fag somewhere out in the world and don't matter in the slightest.

>>52250210

See, this is the part I'm not really getting here. I established in the beginning that it was low on HP. Yeah, I could have simply stabbed it and killed it and it'd have been boring and lame. I didn't.

>Why aren't you as uninteresting as I am!? It makes me so mad!

Time to get over it, child.
>>
>>52250215
It's not, it's just bullshit. Nowhere in the rules does it say you can do that.
>>
>>52250237
>Make the most powerful gestalt!
>Here's the most powerful gestalt there is.
>It's a meme build, stupid faggot! Come up with something else!
Wew.
>>
>>52250154
Not in phb. Maybe DMG (I knew they suggest reflavoring Halfling to a Humanoid Hare in there). I dont know how AL work though, so talk to your local DM?
>>
>>52250247
>I had a good game where stakes remain high because the players need to pay attention to their abilities so their plans work
>you had a game where "rule of kewl XD" solves everything
Yeah, poor me.
Don't worry, my games were like that when I started playing at 11 too.
>>
File: 1416345027057.png (118KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
1416345027057.png
118KB, 212x278px
>>52250231
> You've obviously never been in a real fight, even the most masterful martial artist out there knows they can lose to anybody even some random fuck in a bar.

So can a 3.5 fighter. But he can also dodge a goblin 95% of the time which is about 50% better than your average fucktard 20th level 5e fighter. He can't do shit.

> "martials are better in 5e though!!! really, they are!!"

loving every laugh
>>
>>52250247
>Great, my DM said I could.

Your DM's permission doesn't mean shit and directly contradicts the rules. Therefore, you stopped playing D&D, and your little "victory" has no merit.

You can't even do something cool in a world of pretend without cheating, you pathetic fuck. Then you come on here to brag about essentially acting like a four year old who doesn't understand limitations?
>>
>>52250262
Martials are better relative to the other classes in their edition.
Comparing between editions is retarded, 4e characters can self heal and have a laundry list of powers beyond most spellcasters in other editions.
>>
>>52250234
On conversations about rulings, rule 0 almost always comes up because it's very common knowledge and almost universally respected. You crying on the internet that some people don't hold the rulebook as the immutable word of god doesn't change that
>>
>>52250253
Nuclear druid isnt a gestalt.
Its regular multiclassing.
>>
>>52250229
Doesn't sound too bad actually. Also the idea is an Attack that doesn't make it pass your AC is an attack that failed to cause you to exert effort. If you're wearing plate, use defensive duelist or have magic armour then your defences are good enough to deflect/block/magically stop the blow.

If it makes it past you had to do something requiring effort to prevent yourself getting disembowelled and too many attacks like that in a row eventually become too much to stop.

If you don't like it you can always go enjoy an earlier edition that's more to your liking.
>>
File: 1489367528141.jpg (49KB, 552x446px) Image search: [Google]
1489367528141.jpg
49KB, 552x446px
>>52250271
>>
>>52250237
Lore Wizard / Twilight Driuid.
Multiple simulacrum nuclear magic missile from a mile away.
>>
>>52250247
>literally saying playground rules "nuh uh, my laser breaks through your shield" is a better quality game than one where decisions matter
ok kid
>>
>>52250282
But you can do it with gestalt
>>
>>52250234
>>52250235
>>52250248
>what is rule 0
>nuh uh the GM just being able to make things up isn't the rules
Yes it is. If you can't handle the GM bending the explicit wording of rules to make the game more fun, maybe you should try a game more suited to your tastes. Like solitaire.
>>
File: 138212467890.png (728KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
138212467890.png
728KB, 1106x1012px
>Roll really high on athletics check
>This means I'm unable to control my strength and I toss thing too far or jump too high, inadvertently hurting myself or someone else
>>
>>52250271
>Your DM's permission doesn't mean shit
At which point did you get so mad you lost the capability for rational thought?
>>
>>52250261

It is unfortunate for you, despite your sarcasm.

I mean, I'm not sure which faggot spouting "IT'S NOT THE GROUND" you are, but that's the same type of bullshit as saying you couldn't use the fortress on the back of a floating turtle island because the shell isn't the ground. It just makes you look like an autistic retard, which you are.

>No fun allowed trumps all

Kill yourself my m an.

>>52250271

>You have to accept the limitations I impose on you because I SAID SO

Sure thing bucko, I'll give your worthless opinion the consideration it is due.

>>52250291

No one said anything about lasers or shields (though there were a lot of shields), you're just mad on the internet to, I dunno, show you're a tough guy? Congrats? Not sure why so many people are competing over the title of "biggest loser in the threat," but you're definitely at the head of the pack.
>>
>>52250310
cool, my DM says my characters time powers undid your guy's dragon kill and my guy's kamehameha killed the dragon in one hit before it was even injured anyway :^)
>>
>>52250247
I might be a fag somewhere in the internet, but I'm still better off than you, some narcissistic brat with a chip on his shoulder, screaming "Child!" and "Cuck!" like a fourteen year old boy. Killing that dragon was probably the most exciting thing you did in your life, which is why you're so defensive about it.
>>
>>52250335

It was pretty fun, wish you could experience something similar some time. Doubt it though.
>>
>>52250325
if you really think I meant you literally meant lasers and shields you're autistic. it was a comparison to the behaviour of kids when they play pretend you literal retard
learn to read, learn to type, learn to play D&D
>>
File: smug anime 12.png (2MB, 1214x1109px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime 12.png
2MB, 1214x1109px
>responding to virtposting
Look at all these newfriends.
>>
>>52250289
Holy shit, the abuse here is infinite.
Even barring the mega-nukes from a mile away, with simalcrum abuse and druid infinite wildshaping, you could make your very own Swarms. Swarms of you. You could also make an army of wildshaped animals with various useful abilities.
And with summoning, you could summon a fuckton of elementals, fey, or beasts via your simalcrums
>>
Trolls trollin trolls trolling along the troll train to trollville on a troller

>comparing 3.5 fighter to 5e
3.5 was a higher power teir of fantasy, lowering the powerlevel was intentional, (and 3.5 rules were shit) why are you guys arguing about this.

>rule of cool and everyone doing awesome things at the table is badfunwrong
Have you even played this game? Like seriously, that is somebody who never played any kind of tabletop ever would say

[spoiler/]let me in on this too[/spoiler]
>>
>>52250353
>Have you even played this game? Like seriously, that is somebody who never played any kind of tabletop ever would say
It's the exact same thing as all the stories about "le epic nat20s" that /tg/ hates, so I can't say I agree there
>>
>>52250343

I just threw the same shit at you that you're throwing at me.

>Nuh uh, it's different when I do it!

Sure it is sweetheart.
>>
>>52250335
BTFO
>>
>>52250216
Nuclear Druid is completely undone by the DM ruling that harvest scythe damage only applies to one of the darts, not all of them.

It'll only ever work if your DM can't say No.
>>
>>52250366
lol
>>
Ill check again in a few hours when Virt stops shitposting about stuff from 15 years ago
>>
>>52250340
Who am I to say it's not? Fun, however, is subjective. And what seems "fun" to you doesn't seem like it to me. If it's achieved through DM's fiat, it's not impressive, it's a handout.
>>
>>52250378
The same can be said to all DM ruling. They could take your fighter extra attack away if they feel like it too.

That's theorycraft are always done based on RAW. We can't make a build around every crazy DM table variation out there.
>>
>>52250392

By the same logic, it's also handouts when your DM doesn't make you fight enemies with 50 AC.

>That's not the same

Yes it is.
>>
>>52250403
>yes it is
no it isn't
show me an official monster with 50AC
>>
>>52250403
Oh well, it's not like I've got to prove something to you. I congratulate you on your little victory over a dragon, keep it on.
>>
>>52250415

>Official

Meaningless and irrelevant. Why haven't you bitched about the fact that I was fighting homebrew super dragons to begin with? They were never official either.

>I'm just a hypocrite talking out my ass

I know. We all know.

>>52250437

I will, thanks.
>>
>>52250415
Stop arguing with him, moron. He wants attention, stop giving it to him. The other anon got it right.
>>
File: smug anime girl.png (253KB, 568x638px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.png
253KB, 568x638px
>>52250444
there are also rules for monster creation you baka gaijin
>official rules are irrelevant
lol

>>52250453
I'm having fun though
>>
>>52250378
They are playing the game wrong. Revoke their DM license.
>>
>>52250463

And the so-called rule 0 is also official.

>But officiality only matters when it benefits me!

And full circle. /tg/ remains the most retarded board on 4chan. Good night everybody.
>>
>>52250478
once again discussing things assuming rule 0 is in effect at all times is retarded >>52250234
and nobody is impressed by your wacky hijinx
if it's genuinely what you enjoy then more power to you, but I've never understood people who play games on casual mode and I still don't now

>>52250453
okay fine this is the last one
>>
What the fuck is happening with 5eg? Why the fuck are the lot of you so fucked in the head.
>>
File: 5eg.png (66KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
5eg.png
66KB, 661x716px
>>52250513
Virt is a long-time troll who stops in just infrequently enough that people forget and respond to him.

Also /5eg/ has never been good.
>>
>>52250511
Not him but..
> but I've never understood people who play games on casual mode and I still don't now

That part is easy to explain... some people want to feel powerful and success. Something they might not be able to feel very often in Real Life. This is why casual game is popular. It give instant gratification to people who want those feeling.
>>
>>52250536
5eg has definitely be reasonable and a place for good discussion. It's been one of the better threads.
>>
>>52249942

Well, even then, you go to Adventure League until you have a solid group and then split off and play normally.
>>
File: 1470432063299.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470432063299.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>>52250536
>4 plate
Why must I be reminded
>>
Has anyone ever used an Apparatus of Kwalish in their game?
I'm thinking of including one in a dungeon I'm making for my players.
>>
>>52250569
>>52250536
What is 4 plate?
>>
>>52250594

I had one in AD&D and 3.5 but we rarely got to actually use it as a submarine
>>
>>52250603
Old shitposts about 4 decorative sets of platemail in Death House, and the insistence that they were actual free sets of armor and not just nonfunctional decorations nailed to stands
>>
>>52250632
What did you use it for?
>>
>>52250648
??what?
>>
So a primeval guardian ranger 3/battle master fighter 3/mystic 9 with the Giant Growth discipline can become Huge with 40-foot reach (reach weapon 10, +5 bugbear, +5 tree form, +10 Giant Form, +5 psychic focus, +5 lunging attack). What's the best way to exploit this?
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-19+at+01.34.18).jpg (25KB, 142x268px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-19+at+01.34.18).jpg
25KB, 142x268px
>>52250688
Look at room 6 in Death House.
"Standing suits of armor flank wooden doors in the
east and west walls. Each suit of armor clutches a spear
and has a visored helm shaped like a wolf’s head. "
There was a long running meme of people insisting that these were 4 perfectly lootable, usable suits of platemail (6000gp total) which they could use to their benefit for the remainder of the dungeon and beyond. The beyond is pretty irrelevant since any objects that were part of the house itself turned to dust when removed
>>
>>52250804
>The beyond is pretty irrelevant since any objects that were part of the house itself turned to dust when removed
Death House specifies which items decay when removed. The armor, decorative or not, are not part of that--otherwise the loot that you find, such as valuables and books and the windmill deed, would be completely pointless.
>>
>>52250796
Don't forget bugbear.
>>
>>52250804
>>52250831
Why are people so retarded?

And why do they want to win at D&D so badly?
>>
>>52250804
>>52250831
If the items aren't cursed in any way, the DMs running it are doing it wrong.

>you don the armor, it fuses forever to your skin, leaving you in crippling agony. You become vulnerable to lightning and cold damage and when an attack successfully hits you, thorns from the armor further penetrate your flesh, you are dealt a further 10 piercing damage.
>>
>>52249737

Not exactly designed as shit, just played as shit. Too many players thinking zweihander + fireball, then locking themselves into some 4-stat build that sucks at everything rather than focusing on self-buffing as intended.
>>
>>52249778

All the Paladin gameplay without feeling the need to live up to Lawful Stupid and No Fun allowed.
>>
>>52250952
The pcs are level 1-3.
Its just a fucking set of plate armor. It has disadvantage on stealth, a strength rquirement, and 18 AC, which is only one more than max dex in studded leather
You're stacking massive, MASSIVE penalties onto an item that only the martials would be interested, for the sake of being an edgy faggot. yOu could at least give it a magical benefit. even armor of vulnerability has a benefit.
>>
So now that the Mystic's we're picking up where we left off in an old campaign.

My character there was effectively a Soul Knife with the psychic detective powers of the Awakened Mystic.

I'm wondering is people can recommend what the best Disciplines for Soul Knife combat and Psychic senses out of combat are.
>>
>>52251012
It's a horror scenario. Cry harder, you whiny bitch.
>>
>>52250177

It looks like a standard 3.PFag who's never actually read the 5e rulebook but wants to whine about it anyway. The dead giveaway is not knowing that things like Opportunity Attacks have new rules.
>>
>>52251043
How do the OA rules work in 5e?
>>
>>52251041
Neck yourself.
You should never, NEVER be a DM if you cant understand how to balance a simple suit of fucking plate armor.
>>
>>52251029
As a Soul Knife, your discipline selection will be limited relative to other immortals. Your best bet is Nomadic Mind for utility, then focus all the rest on stuff like Brute Force and Psionic Weapon.
>>
>>52251012
>Giving the PCs 6000 gold worth of extremely useful gear in the sixth room in the campaign
Shit. It's not like there's a lot of places in Barovia they can get off and trade or sell that, but it's a huge boon. A rare magic item for any heavy armor users, basically. It also makes no sense, because it's stylized display "armor".
If I was feeling generous (about the players who likely just broke into a house and decide to rip the nails out of a support and toss on ill-fitting fake armor) I'd have it give 17 AC and disadvantage on anything sight-related because of the shitty visor that isn't meant to be worn.
>>
>>52251012
This pretty much. Most people around then have an AC of 16 that will go up to 17 pretty soon. There's nothing unbalanced about them aside from their value in gold and it's not hard for a poor ass merchant to say he's not interested in the armour.

If the DM wants to put curse on them I'd make it something small like a Wisdom Save to not make an opportunity attack against allies or it can't be taken off at all aside from magic.
>>
>>52251012
How do you know it's even plate armor, it seems like it's just decorative, ie worthless.
>>
File: 1482218400771.jpg (88KB, 527x345px) Image search: [Google]
1482218400771.jpg
88KB, 527x345px
BY ILMATER'S HAND WHY DID I DREDGE THIS ANCIENT TORTURE UP
>>
>>52251049
Haha, you sound like a pathetic piece of shit. Boo hoo, your tears are delicious.
>>
>>52251079
>le ebin trolling
>>
>>52251049
Why do you whine so much, you autistic retard.
>>
File: 1464928894180.jpg (64KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1464928894180.jpg
64KB, 680x680px
>>52251049
Yeah, I balance it by not handing it out like candy to level 1 characters in a house that's actively trying to kill you at the gate of a gothic horror campaign.
>>
>>52251083
Stop being a little whiny bitch.
It's likely decorative, you pathetic shit.
>>
File: Thus of Ould, Thus Now.jpg (122KB, 540x668px) Image search: [Google]
Thus of Ould, Thus Now.jpg
122KB, 540x668px
>>52251074
You are a fool. What once was bait, shall be bait again, in this age, and in all ages.
>>
What are some good feats to pick up for Mystics? I was thinking of playing a Wu Jen but I want to use martial weapons as well.
>>
>>52251049
Do you know where the scenario is set and what kind of setting it's in? You're a terrible and patheic DM who whines and whinges. Cry harder.
>>
>>52251048

http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#Opportunity_Attacks

Unless changed by a feat or a class feature you get a single melee attack against someone when they voluntarily leave your reach without using a Disengage action and at no other time. Actions taken while in melee range and movement that doesn't break reach no longer trigger it.
>>
>>52251110
None of the curses in the module are anywhere near that powerful.
And you want to curse level one pcs with that.
>>
>>52251107
Haha, is that all? You don't even hold a candle to pathetic.
If you're giving them plate armor when it's likely decorative armor in a horror scenario, you shouldn't DM ever again. You clearly have no fucking clue what the flying fuck you're doing, you pathetic shit.
>>
A more fitting curse would to make it Demon Armor but instead of the penalties to finding demons, have it be penalties to fighting undead.

>toughest guy in the party has 22 AC at level 3
>except he has disadvantage to hit Strahd
>and disadvantage on saves against his gaze and spells
>>
>>52248740
Holy shit just finished reading the new mystic. Why did they think that this was a good idea? The amount of options here is just rediculous, you are capeable of almost anything. All you will end up doing is stepping on the toes of more or less every other class
>>
>>52251122
Welcome to horror.
>>
>>52251142
Not that anon, but thats not horrifying, it's cruel it'd kill someone between level 1-3 damn near instantly, Why wouldn't you animate the suits so the players destroy them and so they're unusable? much scarier, and far more in line with what someone 1-3 would be able to deal with.
>>
>>52251140

It's possible that it's a buildup to a Dark Sun setting book that won't use the existing classes at all.
>>
>>52251159
That's cliche as fuck.
>>
Throwing a pit fiend at a party of 6 with an average level of 7. Most of them have pretty good magic items - mostly rare, with one legendary item.

What are their chances of survival? They're okay with a TPK.
>>
>>52251169
>>52251159
And not scary in the slightest.
>>
>>52251169
So is armor fusing to skin
>>
>>52250952
>Be str fighter
>Want to shore up my defenses, see perfectly good armor and put it on
>Dm essentially cripples my already crippled character (since magic users dont have to deal with resistances or immunity to nonmagical attacks) and ensures he will die
>Play through it
>Die, predictably, before I even get out of death house
>Leave and find a better DM who understands fun
Way to waste someones time anon, you could have the courtesy to say that rocks instantly fall on the character and kill them when they don the armor
At least then its over with quicker
>>
>>52251175
Expect many deaths.
>>
>>52251184
No, it's really not. When was the last time this was depicted in any media?
>>
>>52251169
Cliche =/= bad
>>
>>52251188
>Be a fighter
>See decorative armor made of thin plates of cheap metal nailed to a wooden stand
>Pass a DC 10 intelligence check to tell that it isn't actual usable armor
>>
>>52251188
Whinge, whinge, whine whine. If you choose to don, you're clearly retarded.
>>
>>52251169
>>52251182
Whether it's scary or not depends person to person, and being cliche just means tried and true, and it's much more in line with what a level 1 to 3 Party would be dealing with.
>>
>>52251209
>Non-EK Fighter
>Anything but negative int mod
>>
>>52251197
It's literally already in the game you fucking autist.
>>
>>52251208
It's still a pathetic cop out.
>>
>>52251196
TPK? They've beaten an adult dragon with a bit of help.
>>
>>52251216
>not deciding critical plot moments with int based skill rolls
>>
>>52251222
Not really.
Four suits of animated armor is scary as fuck at level one
>>
>>52251216
I make my players roll for stats.
>>
>>52251214
Meh, no one cares. It's still fucking boring as fuck.

>>52251219
Where, you literal piece of shit.
>>
>>52251219
>doesn't provide evidence
Good shit, you mongoloid pathetic shit.
>>
>These terrible DMs going into critical damage control when being told they need to balance shit more

I know how to test which DMs in new games are good or not
Just ask them what they do about 4plate
>>
>>52251237
I care, I don't want to kill my players with an Epic level curse because they thought, maybe this armor is usable, if they were stupid enough to touch it, it will come to life and try to kill them, perfectly in line with a horror campaign.
>>
>>52251175
Yeah people gonna die man. I reckon they will kill it but 3 or 4 of them willnprobably die
>>
>>52251233
If they're scared of animated armor, they clearly aren't cut out to be adventurers/heroes, they should resign themselves to something that is clearly well suited to them: being peasant farmers.
>>
>>52251267
Have you ever once been level one, anon
You're barely above a commoner
>>
>>52251262
Aren't Pit Fiends like Asmodeus's right hand devils? the most powerful Devils That aren't Lords Of The Hells.
>>52251267
Being afraid is a good thing, adventurers who don't feel fear are the ones whose skeletons you see in dungeons or villains.
>>
>>52250952
That is fucking stupid m8.. get hit by a dagger dealing 1d4+1 damage.. oh and an additional 10, take that you you piss weak level 1-3 character. That'll teach you for stepping into my magical realm
>>
File: b5a.jpg (23KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
b5a.jpg
23KB, 255x222px
So my PC's today learned the hard way that their actions have consequences and sometimes in the worst possible way.
>Fight a group of 4 knights harassing a family of Tieflings
>They kill one damage the leader and two others
>The Barb tosses the leader about 10 feet diagonally
>Sorcerer Thunderwaves him 10 feet from her
>He runs and mounts a horse
>They run and try to kill or knock down the horse
>Fail
>Last PC near the enemies runs and kills the horse
>Leaves the family near two enemies
>They now have the mom and youngest boy hostage
>Failed intimidation and then kill the leader
>The two knights slit their hostages throats and go to attack the last two

They managed to kill the last two, one literal had 1 HP before they all decided to attack the guy on the horse. So anyone else ever had PCs handle a situation so poorly that you put them through the emotional wringer?

>Mfw the last guy leaves people obviously hostile to this family alone with them
>>
>>52251262
That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

I'm gonna spend its first turn casting Wall of Fire to separate them from the other baddies in the scenario, which will give them a 1-turn advantage on it, which should give them that important 1 turn to buff themselves and get positioned (hopefully out of 'fireball that hits every party member' formation).
>>
>>52251278
We weren't pathetic little bitches, that's for sure.

And no, you're not barely above commoners, that's the point of being a PC.
>>
>>52251278
Clearly he's one of the players who comes in at level 1 with an extensive background about how he's a famous master assassin who was once caught and forced to battle in an arena against three tarrasques and used his cunning wit to kill each of them and make his escape, where he eventually met up with the other pcs (in a tavern)
>>
>>52251300
Your fault for being a literal retard.

And the suits should clearly be useless decorative armor, not plate armor like you retards were insisting on.
>>
>>52251300
>Get punched by commoner
>Deals meager one damage
>Spikes activate, ten piercing
>Almost die from peasant punch
>>
File: Get out there you.gif (3MB, 758x420px) Image search: [Google]
Get out there you.gif
3MB, 758x420px
>>52251219
Take about 20% off there bud.

Let's get this plate thing sorted out, hopefully forever.

The module says there's armour but is ambiguous about its usability.

From a balance point of view, this treasure might be a bad idea.

From a realism point of view, this decorative armour might not be usable.

Both of those are excellent reasons for you, as a GM, to say "nope, sorry, this armour isn't going to work, let's move on."

Here's the thing though., You should not /punish/ players for being smart. You shouldn't punish them for going, "Hey, wait a minute, these columns are made of solid amber. I bet we could smash them and sell them in town."

You can make it difficult. You can make it interesting. But you're breaking the social contact if you go "Fuck you for being clever. The armour is cursed and cripples you forever and makes you evil. Fuck you, the amber turns into angry ghosts and molests your sister."

If you get "caught out" like this - if your players take a setting detail and run with it in an unexpected way that might benefit them - do not punish them for it.

There should be rewards for being smart and thinking of orthogonal solutions to problems. There should be penalties for being stupid or not checking for traps or making badly worded deals with devils, sure. That's fair. But not for using duct tape instead of guns.

In the basement of the Death House, there's an altar that does something if "any living thing" is sacrificed on it. Our party used a flea, sort of by accident. It worked. Was that the intention of the module? No. But it was a clever solution and we were rewarded for it.
>>
>>52251293
CR 20. For reference, Kobold Fight Club calls CR 17 a 'hard' encounter and CR 18 a 'deadly' encounter. Deadly encounter translates to a 'risk of at least one character dying.'
>>
>>52251311
Your own words, if you want to play like fucking delusional rejects then that's your own fucking perogative, you pathetic shit.
>>
Remember
>The PCs in Death House are level 1 when they first come upon the armor
>They may not be proper adventurers at all but were forced in by the mists
>The first enemy in death house is an actual suit of animated armor, directly one floor above the 4 wolf suits, that will attempt to surprise the players and can easily kill at least one before falling
>>
>>52251335
Why did you go full autist?
>>
>>52251337
But That's a little hard, in my opinion, to be sending up against level 7's it'd be more for like level 13's, and like 5 of them.
>>
>>52251343
Hit too close to home, huh anon?
Tell me more about your barbarian that slayed a hundred knights before the campaign start
>>
File: 12324454354.png (167KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
12324454354.png
167KB, 500x281px
>>52251335
Well put.
>>
>>52251362
Yeah, I'm aware that it's a little hard. If the players are very close, I'll shave off a few hitpoints and let him die. My goal was to find a single foe which would make the death of one player character likely (but not guaranteed) while giving the players a chance to defeat it.
>>
File: eH8yg2R.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
eH8yg2R.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>52251351
That's all you've got?

Look, I know this is the 5E thread and people here can't resist even the shittiest bait, but really?

That's it?

You didn't call me a weak GM. You didn't insist I was coddling my players or that I should play a storygame instead of a "real man's game like D&D". You didn't even insult my mother. Come on, anon. I know you have "autist" set up as a hotkey to save time, but really?
>>
>>52251351
He didn't, he went full reasonable and good DM.
>>52251385
I assume this player wants his Character to die or do you just have a grudge?
>>
>>52251373
Those clearly seem to be the characters you play, pathetic delusional losers who are trying to justify their pathetic existence.
If you can actually read I never said we already had fame or deeds under our belt and that we weren't whiny pathetic bitches.
>>
>>52251390
>>52251398
Hey, b-b-but the armors are already in the fucking game.
>>
>>52251373
Not that guy, but he has a point. From a mechanical standpoint, PC's are head and shoulders above commoners, I mean, that's obvious. While there is certainly needs to be a degree of separation between the knight slaying barbarian/master assassin and level 1 characters (unless there is a sweet reason why they suck all of a sudden, or they had some trick they don't anymore) assuming otherwise unless specifically informed so by the player of DM is silly.
>>
>>52251412
I'm not the same guy as >>52251390
so I don't know why you quoted me.
>>
>>52251424
oops *or DM
>>
File: T6G7FSY.gif (2MB, 498x346px) Image search: [Google]
T6G7FSY.gif
2MB, 498x346px
>>52251412
Yes. Correct.

See:
>>52251335

I don't think I need to repeat myself.
>>
>>52251322
>literal retard
>your fault
M8 lets face facts. Your that dm. Get over your magical realm shit and learn to balance the game properly for your pcs. You never know, one day your pcs may enjoy your campaigns in the future.
>>
>>52251398
No grudge against a specific character, it's just that the group has been meeting for 4 months without a character death. I'm doing it more for narrative concerns than anything else. The players are escaping Avernus, and this is the last obstacle in their way.

An army of Devils confronts an army of elves at a portal between Avernus and the Material Plane, while one of the Pit Fiends leading the army sees the players who are carrying a powerful holy relic which warded off most of the lesser demons on their way there. The Pit Fiend basically says "Leave these ones to me," casts Wall of Fire, sealing off the party from the rest of the conflict, and fights the party 6-on-1.

Also, the elves may or may not be an invading force that was intended to fight the homeland of mots of the PCs rather than the demon army that they accidentally crossed paths with.
>>
File: Players-handbook-small.jpg (218KB, 768x978px) Image search: [Google]
Players-handbook-small.jpg
218KB, 768x978px
what level is it acceptable to finally oblige a player in the "gib plate armor" demand he's been making since level 1?
>>
>>52251053
Do I really need that many Combat Disciplines though? I think I'll take Brute Force and then either Nomadic Mind or Precognition. I would like to have Telepathic Contact somewhere down the line as well.

I guess it's going to be hard to get all his abilities again. He had a bit of a mind reading thing, a future and past sense, some minor telekinesis and of course his Psychic Energy Dagger.
>>
>>52251459
From the Monster Manual:

>Fearless in battle, a pit fiend takes on the
most powerful foes in sing le combat, demonstrating its supremacy and an arrogance that prevents it from acknowledging any chance of defeat.

>>52251490
5-7, depending on setting and relative power level of the party. I just treat plate armor like a rare magic item.
>>
>>52251459
Why would the leader of an army, especially a Devil, not use his army? also this>>52251505
Devils are smart, it's demons who are stupid, change it to a Balor, and I'd actually believe it.
>>
>>52251518
He's using his army - he just wants to claim the holy macguffin for himself. His army is busy fighting elves (who are coming from a different direction). He recognizes the party as worthy adversaries, so he fights them as a matter of pride.

I'm the one who posted that excerpt from the Monster Manual. read: "in single combat"
>>
>>52251457
Ah, you're that player who needs to be coddled, needs to be told their every action is a success and needs to have adventuring reinforced as their safeplace. Why didn't you just say so.
>>
Anyone else here not really like Curse of Strahd?

I get some people are into that but it honestly doesn't feel that interesting to me to be in Gothic shit land and fight big bad vampire man.
>>
>>52251554
Single combat is 1 v 1 not 1 v 6.
Devils are not retards and your level seven party would be wiped the fuck out by that pit fiends army, because he'd just take the macguffin from the weaker demons after they won.
Pride is one of a Devils weaknesses but, if I remember correctly, they negotiate incredibly complex contracts to gain more power, they do not do this by being morons and taking unnecessary risks.
>>
To the guy who keeps posting his terrible bait arguments, can you please take a name or something so I can hide your posts? I don't want to see your arguments.

Your old name Virtual Opium could work
>>
>>52251597
Quote someone so we know who you're referring to.
>>
>>52251615
He knows who he is. If you're not Virt, then it's not you.
>>
>>52251622
No I'm not Virt, but I am arguing with the guy who wants to send a Pit Fiend against his party of level 7 characters.
>>
File: 1489119683823.png (39KB, 183x227px) Image search: [Google]
1489119683823.png
39KB, 183x227px
>two days before the first session
>don't have a character yet
It's three in the morning in God's chosen timezone and I can't stop screaming.
Send help, also a character sheet.
>>
>>52251622
Wait a minute...
How do we know for sure that virt was a single man?
We have no proof that virt wasnt a tripcode shared between a secret cadre.
>>
File: msPOT3k.jpg (2MB, 1536x3725px) Image search: [Google]
msPOT3k.jpg
2MB, 1536x3725px
>>52251582
In a lot of ways, the adventure relies on the GM to set the tone and atmosphere.

It can be a very good Horror D&D game. It can also be completely camp, with bad accents and dumb villagers and all that jazz.

Overall though, it's very linear despite the promise of a sandbox. There are invisible walls /everywhere/. There is plenty of padding and fundamentally pointless content. All paths lead to the castle. There is only one "solution" and it's not a satisfying one.

You can be Big Damn Heroes if you want to be, but the setting, as written, will make you wonder why you're bothering. It's gothic in a game that does not have mechanics suitable for gothic-ness.
>>
>>52251639
Ill help you through it, anon.
Give me a character concept and starting level.
Point buy, array, or rolling for stats?
>>
File: TftYP.jpg (56KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
TftYP.jpg
56KB, 480x600px
Didn't see this in the mega trove. Has it been scanned?
>>
>>52251650
Because Virtual Optim, was a Youtuber or was it a blogger? Who admitted he came here, before he was Permabanned anyway.
>>
>>52251639
whothefuckismydndcharacter.com
>>
>>52251594
>Single combat is 1 v 1 not 1 v 6.
That's fair, and I do see how I'm stretching that piece of flavor a bit with this idea. I do, however, maintain that the spectacle of the situation (fighting a demon in an arena of fire) does invoke rule of cool enough for a hand wave of this one.

>he'd just take the macguffin from the weaker demons after they won
Of course he could do that, but devils are routinely demoted and promoted, and what does it say when the commander is too cowardly to face the bearer of the Mantle of Lathander and instead sends his underlings to collect the relic? I don't think Zariel/Asmodeus would be too pleased.

>Pride is one of a Devils weaknesses
That's part of my point - it will allow this Pitfiend to say "-I- am the one who defeated the interlopers who made their way into our home of Avernus!" rather than give credit to his army. He's commanding his army to leave this party to him, and they're obeying.

>being morons and taking unnecessary risks
Sometimes you just want the good guys to win. Sometimes it's the hubris of the villain that is their downfall. Sometimes it moves the plot along in just the right way. That's why I've written my campaign this way.
>>
>>52251638
Nah, it's cursed armour "Let me completely fuck over level 1 players" among other pieces of shit here. That or maybe someone's that retarded and he's baiting them by keeping the replies going.

I would not send a Pit Fiend against that party either but it is his game and he can change how Devils work.

>>52251650
Don't give me a spook like that. I need to imagine he's a man living in his mum's basement slowly dying of diabetes to sleep at night.

>>52251639
Two days is plenty of time. I've done it while on the bus to the session once when I had passed out the night before.
>>
File: halfling thief.jpg (143KB, 968x1600px) Image search: [Google]
halfling thief.jpg
143KB, 968x1600px
>>52251639
a wet behind the ears baby can make a character in 40 mins. the hardest part is concept and fleshing it out

and google 5e character sheet

WOTC has a free zipfile with 3 different char sheets

>>52251667
April 4th
>>
>>52251687
>demon in an arena of fire
I meant devil. I'm tired. Oops.
>>
>>52251667
I'll be buying it on early release day (the 24th). Expect a scan by March 26th. Expect Roll20 maps and tokens March 24th.
>>
>>52251692
>April 4th
Oh shit, thanks.
>>
>>52251657
You said how I feel before I even knew that's how I felt. I also dislike horror and gothic adventures in general so I'm biased I guess.

I wanted to run something different to normal fantasy but wasn't impressed after reading the .pdf, I might write up something set in the Feywild with the players all either natives or unlucky people.

>>52251709
I wish but scans seem to take forever to come around. They're not easy to do so I understand but I think either SCAG or Volo's had me waiting a long time.
>>
>>52251735
Good scans require dismantling a book, which is a bit of an investment of time/money to solely benefit faceless beings occupying space in a laotian propane web zone
>>
>>52251657

these things are fucking impossible to read

should i print it out in order to understand what the fuck is supposed to be happening in it?
>>
>>52251752
True. It's a bitch to do, I did it once for something years ago and swore never again.

Anyone who does it gets mad respect for the one thread at least.
>>
>>52251752
People tend to not care if a scan of a book is a proper no-binding scan. Source: almost every 5e book save for maybe the PHB and Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>52251690
We haven't reached your preset whinge limit yet, whinge some more, pathetic shit.
>>
>>52251772
Stop posting, tryhard
>>
>>52251772
Uh, I haven't responded to a single one of you posts. I don't care about the argument and think the other guy's just as stupid for bothering. Could you please take a tripcode though?
>>
File: [laughter stops].jpg (56KB, 313x254px) Image search: [Google]
[laughter stops].jpg
56KB, 313x254px
>people in party get extra xp from going off and doing shit solo
>my character is very much designed to stay in the thick of things and by the bulk of the party to protect/heal them and tank damage
what do
>>
>>52251787
>>52251790
Are you guys just ESLanon samefagging?
>>
>>52251794
Go hire yourself out to be a healer/tank for another group on the side?

>>52251801
Sorry but, who?
>>
>>52251787
>>52251790
Cry harder, your impotent-rage tears are pathetic.
Do you even understand the genre the setting is meant to be played with?
>>
>>52251687
>>52251703
If you play that Pit Fiend as a very competent fighter (he would be one) who knows every ability he has inside and out, he would kill all of your players hands down, game over, literally the only way they would survive is elvish intervention.
It's your campaign, seems to me you want to railroad one player to die to add something to your plot not the players enjoyment, I consider that railroading but you want to do it, go ahead.
Also are the players in one of the Hells? if so the devil would be even less likely to risk it, his death would be permanent.
>>
>>52251237
>>52251251
Nice samefag. Also look at demon armor you literal retard.
>>
>>52251810
It doesn't even matter, unless he has like 3 phones it seems people actually are still responding to his posts for some fucking reason.
>>
>>52251794
Stop playing with literal faggots.
>>
>>52251794
>>people in party get extra xp from going off and doing shit solo
i hope you mean during downtime otherwise what the fuck is your group doing playing D&D. if during downtime, there's plenty of things for a protector/healer to do
>>
>>52251801
>>52251810
>>52251826
>>52251831
Are you an ESLanon yourself?
>>
>>52251814
Gothic horror, yes. Which have the following definitions.

Gothic: of or in the style of architecture prevalent in western Europe in the 12th–16th centuries (and revived in the mid 18th to early 20th centuries), characterized by pointed arches, rib vaults, and flying buttresses, together with large windows and elaborate tracery. English Gothic architecture is divided into Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular.

Horror: an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.

The only thing horror about that armour is how disgusted I am you think it counts.
>>
Looking for
>>
>>52251847
No idea what that is
>>
>>52251847
What the hell is an ESLanon?
>>
>>52251855
>>52251856
English Second Language anon.
>>
File: here (You) go.jpg (59KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
here (You) go.jpg
59KB, 500x456px
>>52251810
He's far too vulnerable emotionally to leave the group
>>52251836
k
>>52251844
Nope, during play. The rogue has the most xp cos they go off and sneak around while the rest of us were fighting.
>>
>>52251860
I'm going to guess he has a poor understanding of English?
>>
>>52251860
No?
>>
File: 1478024948389.gif (967KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
1478024948389.gif
967KB, 245x250px
What the fuck is going on in this thread?
>>
>>52251862
He's not wrong tho, the DM set up some seriously messed up incentives, you should either ask him to stop it or leave.
>>
>>52251877
Free plate armor going to waste.
>>
So for future reference mentioning 4plate's enough to cause a thread to derail horrifically. Good to know.
>>
>>52251867
Honestly it's just a name I came up with for this shitposter whenever I happen to be in the same thread as him, no one uses it.
>>
>>52251757
It's easiest if you have 2 copies open. One zoomed in to the level where you can see detail and read the text, and another one in a zoomed out view for a general sense of the path and where the next section goes.

Each one is a good 20 minute read though. It's worth it.
>>
>>52251862
>Nope, during play. The rogue has the most xp cos they go off and sneak around while the rest of us were fighting.
then i must go back to my question: what the fuck is your group doing playing D&D? it's not just stupid in principle to do that, it's literally causing an actual problem for you, so why aren't you either asking your DM to change things up, or leaving for a better group?
>>
>>52251877
Autism.
>>
>>52251860
Oh, that makes sense.
>>52251877
A visit from Virt this guy
>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeTAzGS_0VSIbHh8i5fhKxQ
>>
>>52251887
>>52251886

Screenshot >>52251335

Post as needed in future threads.
>>
>>52251888
So he's our own little shitposter. Fun.
>>
>>52251902
>screenshotting the guy who's wrong
wew
>>
File: 4plate.png (63KB, 1024x408px) Image search: [Google]
4plate.png
63KB, 1024x408px
>>52251335
Take this anyone who thinks it's right.
>>
As the person who originally asked about 4plate, I am deeply sorry.
>>
>>52251919
We must flee for safety from this terror child.
>>
>>52251917
Thanks friend xD
>>
Readying a spell takes a spell slot, whether that ready action goes off or not. What about readying a discipline that costs psi points?
>>
File: King Hekaton.png (86KB, 171x189px) Image search: [Google]
King Hekaton.png
86KB, 171x189px
>>
File: 1488346012898.png (106KB, 683x470px) Image search: [Google]
1488346012898.png
106KB, 683x470px
>>52251862
>my dm has created a situation which clearly rewards a specific few players leaving me behind on the xp track D U R I N G A N O R M A L P L A Y S E S S I O N.
>but hey I'll condescendingly give you a (You) for actually deigning to give you solid advice.

Fuck you. You deserve whatever suffering those people choose to inflict on you.
>>
>>52251944
>>52249189
>>
File: RSpWv9f.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
RSpWv9f.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>52251911
Ok, I'll bite. Wrong how?
>>
>>52251952
>Defending this thread.
Please die.
>>
When this thread dies in a smoldering wreck can we never, ever talk about it again in the future ones?
>>
>>52251971
Hopefully this was people getting some shitposts out of their system on a Saturday night, and not a warmup lap for the main event.

I'm not optimistic.
>>
>>52251962
Stop posting your shitty hekaton image
>>
>>52251991
I mean these threads argue a lot but most of the time shitposting's rare. I bet this will last 24-36 hours before people go back to normal.

Then new UA will come out and we can all be autistic about that.
>>
File: 1470256390754.jpg (396KB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1470256390754.jpg
396KB, 1500x2000px
>mfw no matter how things go down, your party won't be smiling at the end of this
>>
I have a question I'm curious about - I'm running a party of mostly 4th-level characters, one is 5th. The makeup is as follows:

> halfling bard
> half-elf cleric
> half-elf warlock
> dwarf barbarian (lv5)
> human monk

The barbarian is by far the strongest, and not just because he's a level ahead. I'm curious when the other PCs reach a jump in their development and start to look equally or more powerful? The bard and the cleric are not far behind currently but I still feel the barbarian could probably take on the whole party and win.

Does it really depend on ability scores? In an ideal world would they all be roughly the same strength at this level, with the barbarian at only a slight edge?

Just curious, I love the way that the levels progress in 5e and am excited to see how the party pans out.
>>
File: hagahblibububa.jpg (34KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
hagahblibububa.jpg
34KB, 640x640px
>>52251945
k
>>
>>52252045
raw DPS/EHP isn't the only measure of power. in social encounters or stealth missions or dungeon exploration or any number of non-combat scenarios, he will be far outshone by the bard/warlock. he also can't buff or heal his party like they can, and sometimes combat can be solved better through control and utility than raw power
>>
>>52252006
But anon that was the first time.
>>
>>52252045
Well the monk will improve a lot at level 5, bard and cleric will get 3rd level spells which are good. Warlock... What type of warlock is he?
>>
File: nailed it.png (345KB, 498x568px) Image search: [Google]
nailed it.png
345KB, 498x568px
>>52251879
>>52251894
I'll have a chat with him about it, but I don't wanna come off as whiny cos I have less xp than some of the players. One of their character's died for story reasons and now they have like 2000 xp less than everyone, I didn't think that was fair either but apparently it was to incentivise us not to die?
>>
>>52252102
>One of their character's died for story reasons and now they have like 2000 xp less than everyone
between this and incentivising solo play, this sounds like a terrible DM
>>
>>52252075
Bard is definitely hugely more useful in social situations, warlock does decently well but still lags behind. This is a good point though.

>>52252087
GOO
Glad to hear about the monk though, he's practically made of paper
>>
>>52252081
In THIS thread.
But I want you to stop posting it forever. On all threads.
>>
File: 1479220325423.jpg (70KB, 692x425px) Image search: [Google]
1479220325423.jpg
70KB, 692x425px
>>52252045
>balance
Hahahaha, no.

The Barbarian is always going to be the strongest combat party member. The cleric may catch up to him eventually depending on his domain, but even then.

The Bard will always be the best best non-combat/utility party member, if he isn't pants on head retarded. If he's a decent player at least, he'll even do a good turn in combat too.

The warlock will always be the middle child, severely dependant on his choice of Patron and whether or not he's got feat(s) to support himself with.

Monk is just a non-entity.
>>
>>52252110
First time ever anon.
I don't think you have a good conception of how anonymous posting works.
>>
>>52252108
GOO should be good. Warlock's are a little bit weak but still viable. Do you know if he's a blade, book or chain one? Blade's the weakest and if he is one there might be some balance issues.

Also the monk will always be pretty fragile but he gets another attack then and Stunning Fist is the best ability he will ever get.
>>
>>52252107
He's not really, not as bad as some that I've had. They know how to tell a story and string together a narrative rather than *start off in random place* and *railroaded to arbitrary end point*, repeat ad infinitum.
Honestly though I just do away with xp in my games and have people level up together as part of a milestones thing
>>
>>52252122
You're really not fooling anybody
>>
>>52251888
What's the point of calling him ESLanon? Is that meant to be an insult?

>>52251905
The 5eg threads have been shitposting containment threads of late. It's fucking annoying.
>>
>>52252137
Pact of the Tome, I get the impression that's probably the best.

Spellcasting is fucking awful for the warlock class though, I don't think the cantrips really make up for it nearly as much as people say, especially not past 9th level when you stop gaining spell slot levels.
>>
>>52252173
milestones are really the best way to do D&D leveling. it's not meant to be a video game, so using XP like a video game is stupid. leads to powergaming and disparate PC levels and other dumb shit
>>
>>52252195
Yeah Warlock isn't lucky. Tome is good though because that's the best if he picks up ritual casting Invocation.

Are you guys using the UA content? Offering him access to the new Invocations will help him a lot.
>>
>>52252176
It's okay anon, once you've spent some time posting here you'll realize that not everyone likes or dislikes the same things as you, including dumb memes.
>>
>>52252178
>The 5eg threads have been shitposting containment threads of late. It's fucking annoying.

If you all did a better job of posting OC or thorough responses instead of phoneposting and sniping arguements, I'm sure things would improve in a hurry.

As it stands, you don't bother posting images, you take pointless cheap shots at each other, and you take the laziest bait without even being funny about it.

Really, these threads are pretty much beyond redemption at this point. You've chosen the content death spiral. You've established laziness and pettiness as the new normal, and you're shocked when the threads are awful.
>>
>>52252204
How so? it's meant to be a game nd it's where video games got the whole XP thing from.
>>52252178
Blame Mystic
>>
Did pfg finally infiltrate this thread?
>>
>>52252195
How many short rests are you giving them? If they get 3-4 per long warlocks should balance out.
>>
>>52252218
Its the same exact filename, hekanon
The posts done in the same style
>>
>>52252205
There's not been any discussion of it, most guys are first-time players. I'm sure if I brought in the list of UA invocations once he levels he wouldn't say no.

Thanks for your input btw anon, you're a good dude.
>>
>>52252204
Yeah, when everyone's a level higher than you it can really suck.
>>52252227
It leads to metagaming at best, and stuff like this whole thing
>>
>>52252230
Probably, they put up a thread that says we're losing the "Cuteness war" whatever that is, and also believe that we all somehow think we are the heirs to Gygax's table.
>>
>>52252227
>How so?
literally read my post:
>leads to powergaming and disparate PC levels and other dumb shit
or read the reply chain where that guy's DM using XP like a video game is causing problems

milestones means players will never think about grinding, falling behind, or whether or not solving a problem in XYZ different ways will result in the same XP reward or not. milestones can also be easily tailored to come in at narratively appropriate times
>>
>>52252236
Honestly I don't get why people say this. You don't say "Alright party you can rest here" the party decides when to rest really. You can pressure them out of long rests though.

>>52252248
Another thing if he ever really starts to lag behind is a magic item to boost EB spam. Warlocks function like martials and the Attack and Damage bonus, even a +1 will help.

Also no problem. Better then the shitpost circlejerk.
>>
>>52252227
Normal people don't sperg out and have autistic fits over mechanics, I blame the autists.
>>
>>52252246
I copied the filename.
Doing the post in a different style would be doing it wrong.
Even then it usually has text to go with it.
>>
>>52252222
Are you one of those guys upset we called your shitty homebrew shit?
>>
>>52252236
They usually have ample rest time, but they rarely have more than one combat encounter a day - so the cleric and bard can spend spell slots pretty indiscriminately most of the time.

If they're dungeoncrawling I generally give them ample opportunities for short rests though. This is a great point however, I had forgotten that the warlock can recharge faster than other casters.
>>
>>52252287
>guy makes post about how these threads have devolved into petty arguments and cheap shots
>make a cheap shot at him in order to try to start another petty argument
nice
>>
>>52252267
I was asking HOW it leads to that stuff? not WHAT it leads to, I do milestones as well I've just never experienced my players meta gaming over XP.
>>52252284
I blame mystic UA, the shitposting got much worse because that attracted all the fucking 3.pf players who wanted to feel more powerful than everybody else, guess what mystic does?
>>
>>52252302
It's not a petty argument, it's players literally wasting free plate armor.
>>
>>52252309
That's not the mystic UA, that's shit people being shit.
>>
>>52252309
>I was asking HOW it leads to that stuff?
do you lack a brain to think of how it would happen?
>player knows that each enemy killed gives them discrete amount of XP
>player knows that XP directly leads to an increase in their character's power
>player is now incentivised to meticulously kill as many enemies as possible in order to maximise their character's power
or
>player knows that dying will result in a loss of XP
>player knows that a loss of XP will result in a comparative decrease in their character's power
>player also knows that characters with less power will be more likely to die, creating a feedback loop
>player is now incentivised to meticulously avoid danger so that they don't die and fall behind the rest of the party
>>
>>52252246
Did the usual Hekaton poster do something particularly annoying lately that I missed or something? Or do you just not like him normally?
>>
>>52252324
See:
>>52251335
or:
>>52251918
>>
File: piotr-jablonski-gold-mountain-s2.jpg (109KB, 574x1100px) Image search: [Google]
piotr-jablonski-gold-mountain-s2.jpg
109KB, 574x1100px
>>52252287
>>52252302
>guy makes post about how these threads have devolved into petty arguments and cheap shots
>make a cheap shot at him in order to try to start another petty argument

It's like clockwork, anon.

Anyway, so, I've seen some complaints that the Mystic can "take over" a lot of other class roles. Do people have specific examples of their concerns?
>>
>>52252270
Another magic item might be a good idea, I might throw him a bone in a few levels since he just got one - he and the barbarian are the only ones with items right now as it stands so it might be a bit unfair to keep loading him up. Feel the Bern etc lol

Honestly he does okay, the guy who plays him is a smart player and seems to work towards the GOO's strengths in particular. I just worry about him getting bored when everyone else is still getting stronger halfway through the campaign and he's begun to plateau. I can already tell he wishes the class was built a bit more like the cleric or wizard.
>>
>>52252350
No, just tired, and I hate when someone misunderstands me, when I was perfectly clear, when did how become what?

I am dealing with new players, and am new myself, so I told them that I wouldn't grant them XP, they'd just get a level when I saw fit and everybody levels together. They don't metagame often and if they do I put a stop to it.
>>
>>52252378
It can take over for all of them basically, it is way too versatile.
>>
>>52252379
Hmmm. You could always ask him if he would like to play another character? If he does the arrange that if he dies he can play something else and then let him go have a final moment of glory or something.

I dislike Warlocks myself because Wizards get short rest recharges as well. Also they're kind of a mobile Eldritch Blast turret.

Another option would be to ask him if he would like to Multiclass. A Warlock/Bard or Warlock/Sorcerer can be pretty good.
>>
Is it too much to ask for one thread to not dissolve into shit?
>>
>>52252439
Yes
>>
Post hilariously bad, op, or weak homebrews in the NEXT thread
We can have a giggle over it
>>
>>52252121
> if he isn't pants-on-head retarded
This is this guy's third character in this group because the other two died... no other PCs have died besides this guy's. So you tell me

You really think that the monk will never be useful though? As it stands he's probably the weakest in the party but I see people in 5eg talk all the time about how good the monk can be if played intelligently.
>>
>>52252404
The word specific means "clearly defined or identified". If you told someone they were in danger, your warning would not be specific. If you told someone they were in danger of being struck by a train approaching from their left, your warning would be specific, although, tragically, unhelpful.
>>
>>52252287
He's the troll, you kinda get a feel for his posting style and... idk, the way he talks? Verbage? Is that even a word?
He'll reply to himself too, just to keep an argument going. He comes and goes, you get used to him after a while.
Come to think of it, my friend used almost that same sentence word for word when describing what having herpes was like. Huh.
>>
>>52249911
If you're playing in a home game there is a vampire race in plane shift zendikar that would be a better fit for alucard.
>>
>>52251322
Just tell them that as decorative armour it has an AC of 13 and gives you disadvantage on dexterity checks and watch them lose interest
>>
>>52249911
You better talk and act like TFS Alucard
>>
>>52252465
If you want the specifics go read the UA, theres an ability for on of the disciplines that allows a Mystic to replace any skillmonkey, just by using mind magic, they can literally get proficiency in anything with one of the psionic spells, and thats just one example. I'm going to bed, hopefully somebody else will explain it better than I.
>>
>>52252464
The Monk's CC potential is really high, the main thing is playing smart and setting up those stuns for the team to capitalize on or keeping someone out of the fight.
>>
File: 1271391335994.jpg (50KB, 546x366px) Image search: [Google]
1271391335994.jpg
50KB, 546x366px
>>52251335
>using letterkenny gif and dialog
>mfw
>>
File: 1489724803414.jpg (189KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489724803414.jpg
189KB, 960x960px
>>52252477
Pretty sure you're creating conspiracy theories, anon. How many Virts are we up to now? A cabal's worth?

People see what they want to see. In a thread of low-effort posts, people see repetition and assume conspiracy.
>>
>>52252417
> You could always ask him if he would like to play another character?
Just wouldn't be fair to the rest of the group to let one guy make a new character because he didn't look too closely at his class - I doubt anyone but the barbarian did, anyways. He also really enjoys roleplaying as the warlock and loves the backstory he built for the guy so I doubt he'd want to anyways. Multiclassing is an interesting idea, but that might just make the problem worse since he'll just be getting more versatile and not actually that much stronger.

In any case I'm sure he'll be fine, and drawbacks probably won't be anything intelligently planning the campaign won't be able to minimise anyways. You've given me a lot of pretty great ideas though on how to make him a bit more useful though.
>>
http://virtualoptim.tumblr.com
Here for anyone who wants to get a feel for Virts posting style read his fucking blog, it's some hilariously shit well shit.
>>
>>52252516
Once he gets Stunning Strike I'll have to work in a few more ranged casters that he can deal with. If he gets a battle or two where he really starts to click and look like the MVP I can see him picking up steam and figuring out a bit more how to use his guy effectively.

I just dislike the fact that I have to change the way I DM to accommodate different builds because I hate fun
>>
>>52251794

Find a group with 20-30% less fail.
>>
>>52252587
Don't feel bad I'm gonna be pulling shit like this >>52251305 because I hate to say it but my PCs think things are always a fairytale where they default win and it goes their way.
>>
>>52251794
Just do your solo shit in non-combat situations?

This is not fucking rocket science anon.
>>
>>52252543
For what it's worth, I do think you pictures are nice
>>
>>52250973
>>
>>52250111
i'll take bearbarian moon druid for unlimited rages with unlimited elemental transformations

alternatively a zealot barbarian bladesinger who can Clone themselves and mess with Contingency bullshit to ensure they are unkillable
>>
>>52251175
Zero

Pit fiend flies 150ft. straight up and spams fireball
>>
>>52248740
I DM a large group of 6 to 8 players. We currently still play D&D 3.5. However, the ruleset of 3.5, and we are playing mostly using only the core rules, is not really suited for such large groups. Whenever a complex situation arised the game gets stalled.

From these threads, I have the feeling that 5e offers a way more optimized ruleset. My question: how hard is changing from one to the other? It is more a question of time than of money, since we are all employed. Would you recommend switching?
>>
>>52253716
Yes switch over, but converting a campaign and PC's is pretty difficult. it's more recommended you start over, new PC's new campaign. there will be some culture shock, there aren't as many options and, not nearly as many classes are useless there are almost no trap options, martial caster disparity s still there to some degree but nowhere near as extreme, download the core books from the Mega in the OP, and buy if you like it.
>>
>>52253779
Thanks, I'll try to convert some of the recurring characters of the campaign. A culture shock shouldn't be the problem, since the level of immersion is not especially high in our group. We only get to play every 6th to 8th week and are quite fresh into the campaign. I think it is our 6 evening now. I only took 3.5 because I knew it from earlier, therefore it was easier to create characters for the group who had never played and Pen and Paper before.

The imbalance won't necessarily be a problem, because everyone has chosen their character for fluff and not utility. And it can't be worse than in 3.5.

I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>52251814
I think I understand the point of contention here. You seem to read "horror" not as "build an atmosphere of dread" but as "meat grinder".
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.