[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 47

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (70KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
"Agreement is Heresy" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>52094331

What good is a homebrew "unified system" when all it will create is multiple standards akin to that XKCD comic, where nobody can agree on a true standard?
>>
>>52173490
What good is a homebrew "unified system" when all it will create is multiple standards akin to that XKCD comic, where nobody can agree on a true standard?
Because that's better than having none at all. At least having a ordered PDF for other game lines is something to work off, even if you don't agree with it.
My group is currently trying to run Rogue Trader through DH2 and while it works most of the time, it's still pretty janky having to refer to a bunch of different books.
>>
File: chainsaw knees.jpg (55KB, 1162x827px) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw knees.jpg
55KB, 1162x827px
What are some useful party skills to have in DH2E? My character has the charisma and social charm of a peeled potato so that's not my strong suit.
>>
>>52173490
I remember the time I played a dreadnaught in deathwatch. Fun as hell but tiny doors were the bane of my existence.
>>
Thanks for clarifying critical damage last thread anon. Was scratching my head at it because I couldnt figure out the difference between righteous fury and critical damage and if there were crits that were higher. Really confused thanks for the clarification. Now I know how to properly kill my players when the game happens.
>>
>>52174755
Play to your strengths. If you're musclebound or have high Willpower, then Intimidate can be useful to your team. If you're an agile fuck, Dodge will keep you alive or Acrobatics will grant you mobility (including the power to freely halfmove out of melee) while Stealth lets you scout, infiltrate, spy, or just hide. If you've got good Intelligence and aren't from a Research Station, then grabbing the Infused Knowledge talent for elementary knowledge of all Common and Scholastic lores is seldom a bad idea, and frees you to invest directly into Forbidden Lore instead. Awareness or Scrutiny are great if you're perceptive, helping to find clues in investigative games or spot ambushes in fighty ones.
If your Fellowship is shit, don't despair on social skills just yet - you might not be able to rub elbows with high society unnoticed, but if your Toughness is decent you can grab a pint and Carouse with the lads.
>>
File: Priest Bless the APC.jpg (82KB, 611x404px) Image search: [Google]
Priest Bless the APC.jpg
82KB, 611x404px
I have a question, for those who know Only War.

How reliant is the Ministorum Priest on the Weapon Skill aptitude? If it were replace with Ballistic Skill, for instance, would it mechanically damage the class? I'm not familiar with how many of its talents rely on melee weapons. Furthermore, how would a Ballistic Skill Priest affect a Sergeant? Would the sergeant still be able to do the things it wants or would the Priest overtake it?
>>
First time DMing for DH2e, group are all learning the game together.

Should their Inquisitor have rolled up stats since he's the kind of Inquisitor that will deploy to the field if shit hits the fan, or should his stats just flat-out be much higher than the acolytes?
>>
>>52175140
It would be a little counter productive, priests are set up to artistically screech about the emperor as they chainsword off the heads of heretics and xenos. So long as they're at range the priest using a gun would be fine.

All in all, the priest is rather reliant on their weapon skill. I'm not sure how they would overdo a sergeant, the sergeant's role is to lead and herald comrades of the squad for the most part.
>>
Bumping, cause I want to post a pdf I haven't finished yet
>>
>>52175174
They should be much higher. I think there's one stat'd in the core rulebook
>>
Reminder that there's a Saturday DH2 game looking for players:
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71756/reclaiming-askellon
>>
File: Dark Heresy Space Marines.pdf (356KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Space Marines.pdf
356KB, 1x1px
>>52178578
Okay so I whipped up some stats for rolling up Space Marines in DH2e, because I want to run a Horus Heresy game using DH2e rules.
Being a Space Marine replaces your homeworld and your Legion replaces your background. Not sure if I want to modify Roles or not, or if I'll try and lever in Squad Modes and such.

What I'd really like is suggestions. I've left some Aptitudes, Talents and Bonuses blank because I don't really know that Legion well enough to brain what would be most appropriate. But, if you want to tell me if I've done a good job or not on the stuff I have written, that'd also be cool.

For example, is it too OP to make Thousand Sons psykers right off the bat? Or should I just say "If you become a psyker, gain +1 Psy Rating."

By the by, I am not expecting Space Marines to be balanced with non-marines.

Oh yeah and should I be giving Legions two Aptitudes, or just sticking to one? It'd make leveling up a bit more expensive, but it might be better since SMs start off with so many talents and skills anyway.

Even if you don't reply, thanks for your time.
>>
Gah, Chrome shat itself and I had to write this twice. Forgot some of the ideas I was trying to get across.

>>52175174
If you're going to crunch out the =][=, either way works, considering that they'll have so much more XP and Influence than your PCs to spend on Characteristic Advances to shore up weak characteristics or build on strong ones, plus skills and bullshit Inquisitor-only Talents. Narrowing the power gap between the PCs and Inquisitor as they rack up XP and take Characteristic Advances of their own could give your campaign a nice sense of progression.
>>52178826
The Legiones recruited from lots of Homeworlds, and had different cultures and skillsets even within the same companies as a result. I'd strongly consider keeping Homeworlds as a thing and either making Astartes-hood an Elite Package or just part of the Legion backgrounds.
I'll take a look at the PDF later, but making the Sons all psykers definitely seems like a poor idea to me. I haven't read their books to see if even the lowliest Tacticals have minor powers, but on tabletop only Veteran Tactical Squads, Terminator Squads, and the elite cult units (Sekhmet terminators, Ammatara recons, and Khenetai swordmasters) get Brotherhood of Psykers, while named characters provide higher PR psyking.
>>
>>52178826
Two seconds of skimming; your unnatural characteristics are multipliers, when they're supposed to be simple addition.
>>
>>52179809
Also, Leadership is objectively the worst Aptitude unless you radically changed what it applies to, and shouldn't be offered as equal to the other aptitudes. Put it in an Elite Advance or something.
>>
>>52179913
Leadership is a lot more important for Astartes than for mortals, especially since Legionaries don't have the modern resistance to Fear. The Codex and associated tactics may not have been penned yet, but Command is still a very important skill for cohesive squads of Astartes to have.
>>
>>52180415
It's still only relevant to one skill and a few of talents, no matter how you try to spin that one skill.
>>
File: 3561925-eldar+ranger.jpg (71KB, 560x1019px) Image search: [Google]
3561925-eldar+ranger.jpg
71KB, 560x1019px
Hey. Me an some friends are gonna play a high power rogue trader game with a space marine, an eldar ranger and a heretek. Whatkinda shit will the GM be throwing at us?
>>
Wanted some BA Successor chapter who's fucked up Melanchromic organ plus dealing with getting lost in the warp gave them red skin as well as having enlarged fangs from a Ossmudula fuck up

Should I kill myself or could this rock?
>>
>>52181230
Nids. Nids for every oriface
>>
>>52181230
>a space marine, an eldar ranger and a heretek
Necrons. Ancestral enemy of the Eldar, dread foe to the Imperium, and a heretek's wet dream. Chaos is also a likely enemy.
What Chapter is your Mareen from?
>>
Is getting plastic surgery to look more attractive heresy?
>>
>>52181851
Dunno, I'm the knife-ear on a gap year. He'd probably go either Fleshtearer or Fallen Angel honestly.

>>52181497
Yaaaaayyyyyyyy
>>
>>52182244
It's a sign of wealth to extend your life with rejuvenation treatments, so no not really. Thugs, gang muscle and scummy lower hivers all commonly get cosmetic modifications too.
>>
>>52182244
Depends. Getting surgery to correct hideous shrapnel wounds earned during your service in the guard is probably okay.

Getting surgery to remove minor mutations quietly would also probably be acceptable, as long as you could do it without too many people finding out you were a mutant in the first place.

Getting surgery to look nicer (ie bigger lips/boobs, liposuction, nose jobs, etc) is probably fairly common amongst imperial nobles - they're just trying to get closer to that human ideal.

But getting many surgeries you don't need? Constantly chasing an inhuman ideal of physical perfection that leads you to change yourself into something unrecognisable as you and barely recognisable as a human being? That's probably a red flag for slaanesh worship. If you aren't a cultist already you're very vulnerable to their influence.
>>
>>52183260

I just want to look pretty, but I can never look pretty, but pretty isn't what you are, it's what you seek.
>>
File: test-page001.png (842KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
test-page001.png
842KB, 595x842px
>>52184539

So, since the RPG line is officially dead, it is up to us to keep the line alive. What kind of homebrew are yall working on? I know someone else is working on a full line conversion for the older systems. Anyone else got anything?

Pic related, I am putting my army rules for high level Black Crusade characters into an actual document for my players and anyone else interested.
>>
>>52173490
Are there any relatively high-quality let's plays or podcasts?
>>
What's the best way to give hints that a Rogue Trader is helping a cult of Slaanesh without there being actual daemonettes or drug fueled orgies? Is there a fun, subtle way to worship the god of excess?
>>
>>52187766
They are buying lots of expensive art? Picked up a lot of bards on each of their stops? Crew is forced to wear makeup?
>>
so, my rogue trader game went well last night
the crew awoken to find out that warpfuckery happened, thanks to the rogue trader running/smuggling spook.
They awoke in cryosleep with minor amnesia, and found their ship deserted, with no power. They then found out it was crashed, and being scavenged by orkz. They had crashed on the desert planet of Angelis.
They killed the ork and the Gretchen scavenging their ship, and went to their cargo hold... to find out it was a town setup by the Gretchen revolutionary comitee.
They then got a quest to track down the engines from their ship, and to go to mektown to find it.
and they fought in a squig fighting pit, to earn some teef.
Gretchen bookies, being Gretchen, tried running away with the teef they had.
the mek in the party then promptly ate them.
>>
I'm in a rogue trader game, and I'm pretty sure the RT is falling to Slaanesh worship. I'm playing a Seneschal (fluffed up as an Order Famulous soroitas with some elite advances to represent Sororitas special rules), and he does not trust me enough to remain in the same room alone with him long enough to bring my inferno pistol to bear. The rest of the crew prefers his leadership over my character's subtle machinations.

Is my best bet to just scuttle the whole ship and flood all corridors with plasma, or is that too drastic an action? Literally every other bridge staff and head of department is on the RT's side.
>>
>>52184680
That sounds awesome! I'm playing a renegade who thinks his Chapter abandoned him and basically decided "well fuck you guys and your Imperium, I'm gonna make my own Chapter with blackjack and chainaxes," so if I ever manage to pull off my plan to train up some Chaos Scout Marines and get the Heresy-veteran heretek the facilities to make some combat automata, army-building and mass-combat rules are definitely something I'll be wanting.
>>52187766
>>52187892
Those are good clues, but most subtle clues of Slaaneshi influence are things not unexpected of Rogue Traders - they're infamously wealthy and opulent. I'd try emphasizing their pride and perfectionism, with a fleshsculpted face that's so free of flaws as to be bland and inhuman rather than beautiful and constant demands for excellence from their crew.
>>
Anyone knows that in RT what the difference between Footfallen and a Frontier Worlder thematics-wise?

I mean they are both from the firnges of established Imperial Society, and that is basically it.
>>
>>52193933
Footfall is an artificial construction, and supports itself through being a "service hub" for passing vessels.
Think of it as a cross between a trading port and a hive city.

Frontier worlds are more like colonies that have yet to develop beyond self sufficiency, and will be less "cosmopolitan" in outlook.
>>
>tfw you realize FFG could have very easily done a single unified book for dark heresy, rogue trader, deathwatch, and only war.
>tfw you realize they decided to milk the 40k fanbase for every shilling they could get by shitting out copypasted, poorly edited books like clockwork until they finally lost the license

>>52191997
You're probably going to get sacrificed if the whole crew has gone over to Chaos. Might be time to inform the Inquisition of your suspicions I thinks.
>>
>>52195201

they lost the license because of Rune wars.
>>
>>52195586
I made the same speculation to my group, is there any proof of it though?
>>
File: POLITCAL.png (1MB, 2000x2177px) Image search: [Google]
POLITCAL.png
1MB, 2000x2177px
Dark Heresy went well last night.

One of the guardsmen ended up charging around a room, bayoneting techpriests while the rest of the group actually fought the enemy.

First ability the psyker did ended with perils, one of the other guardsmen had their legs blown off, and my small, frail priestly character intimated two fuck-huge mobs abusing fate points which result in them running the opposite way down a cramped hallway which in turn acted like bowling balls and the rest of the party were the pins.

No one died though so we call it a success.

Also, we got bored during one of the breaks and this happened.
>>
Only War players are going to be exploring the hulk of a recently-crashed cargo ship on an Earth-like planet. I want them to face some of the weird monsters that would be lurking in the hull but are now disturbed by the crash and breaking apart of the hulk. What should I have them fight, and where can I find stats for said creatures?
>>
File: bb.jpg (72KB, 511x496px) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
72KB, 511x496px
>>52183260
>But getting many surgeries you don't need? Constantly chasing an inhuman ideal of physical perfection that leads you to change yourself into something unrecognisable as you and barely recognisable as a human being?
>>
>>52197331
I thought they just have Cherubism
>>
>>52197202
Check Mark Of The Xenos.
>>
>>52187766
See >>52183260

The Rogue trader is obsessed with getting archeotech prosthetics, which are beautiful but push them into uncanny valley. No matter what they always see minor flaws in himself/herself that drives them to constantly replace parts of themselves with bionics, to a degree where even tech priests think "damn son slow down". It could raise some ship-of-theseus moral issues. A clue could be a mirror in the rogue trader's quarter that exaggerates the physical flaws of whoever stands in it funhouse style. The "Cynical Mirror".
>>
>>52195201
>You're probably going to get sacrificed if the whole crew has gone over to Chaos. Might be time to inform the Inquisition of your suspicions I thinks.

I do not believe the whole crew has gone over to Chaos, as much as I believe that they do not think the Rogue Trader in danger of falling, or have such fanatic loyalty to him that they would choose to serve him over the Emperor. Still, informing the =I= is probably the right move.
>>
>>52173490
New to Rogue Trader and, they have xenos players? How do you work with that? Are they like assets/spies or are they best buddies if you're a space pirate?
>>
>>52199310
Humans do of course have tenuous relations with Tau and Eldar when they're not in "purge the xenos" mode, it's like using a piece of bread to mop up sauce, you're still going to eat the bread but it's the last thing you'll eat since it's still useful to you.

So yeah, of course Rogue Traders operating on the fringes of the galaxy have reign to hire on xenos, as for the xenos themselves of course they'd just have their own motivations for being there. For Kroot it might just be a simple thing of a particular Kroot being some kind of exile and the RT offering him a chance to still live, kill and eat in relative safety, for Eldar it'll be more complex, perhaps a RT helping the Eldar find and collect a relic.
>>
>>52199743
Oh I see. So they are more open minded compared to everyone else in the imperium? But, does that mean I can start a game without the missionary?
>>
>>52200070
Rogue Traders are incredibly open-minded, exotic and extravagant. Having an Eldar in your employ, in an RT's "control" could even be seen as a status symbol by some.

>does that mean I can start a game without the missionary?
What do you mean?
>>
>>52200185
What I mean is the always high possibity that the missionary would not allow xenos allies on your ship.
>>
>>52200894
Probably not great to have both missionary and xenos on the one ship, no.
>>
>>52200964
Oh ok
>>
>>52178826
Raven Guard would probably benefit from a special ability replicating their Guerrilla Training talent that lets them stealth in their armor without penalty.
>>
>>52201475
Alternatively, you could raise the max AP before stealth penalty kicks in to that of MKVI armour. Or just use chameleoline + stummer or masking screen to counter it.
>>
>>52173552
Anon who posted about unified DH2 project a while ago. This was the main hurdle I had to get over to even bother to start writing, and the thing that gave me the biggest push to do it was the death of the license. Now who the fuck cares about rules reprints, especially since it's non monetized and everything's OOP. As a result it can be less of a giant errata and more of an actual, coherent single-source document (gonna be fucking hueg tho, even trying to go as light as I can on images and flavor bits.)
>>
>>52202821
Addendum while I'm thinking about shit: what's the collective opinion on the old "man's reach exceeds his grasp" sidebar relating to humans using astartes weaponry? (DEM, DW) considering that I've seen in live games mortal characters that can rip a space marine's head off it always struck me as bad crunch, and something to possibly fix when I began to write the unified version
>>
>>52202922
I think it's appropriate, and not just because the weapons are not sized, recoil-adjusted, or scaled for humans. That much you can work around. Their machine spirits are contemptuous of anyone not authorised to bear them, and prone to anger at the touch of mortals.
>>
File: 1471924473902.jpg (105KB, 500x657px) Image search: [Google]
1471924473902.jpg
105KB, 500x657px
>>52178826
anon from >>52202821 here, you're on a similar track to where I was when I started, but rather than try to roll marines into the existing Gen system I found it more balanced and granular to simply write a different gen in the same style, going "Chapter" (effectively current homeworld), "Specialization" (what unit type has marine been serving in), "Character" (lame but it defines the innate leanings of the pc, is he a Scorch or a Fixer? or a Boss or a Sev?) combined it ends up making for a much more flexible system than even DW managed, but is making for a lot of writing and re-writing.
>>
>>52203305
imo, specialisation should be 'role'.
>>
>>52203364
I thought so too at first, until I pulled apart FFG's design a little more closely and got rid of the names to stop any predispositions they were giving me. basic breakdown ends up being:

Stage 1: define strong and weak stats, one strong aptitude (characteristic), and a bonus that reflects evironment/long term training and habits
Stage 2: Define Equipment (this is the primary reason specialization is done at this stage), Skills, A talent or two, a bonus related to what the character does (or is supposed to do) well, and an aptitude.
Stage 3: What the character's innate dispositions are towards future growth: what skills/talents/training they can do easily and what is hard.

Example: maxi voss from the deathwatch novels would be Imperial Fists > Devastator > Redoutable (heavy emphasis on physicality, S/T)

Basically summable as Where they are from, What they do, Who they are.
>>
I have some questions about the malefic scholar from the dark heresy's radical handbook.

I'm currently an adept rank 2 and want to get my foot into demonic doors, FOR THE EMPEROR OF COURSE! Also I'm really hype for that sweet arcanas...

The thing is, I knew nothing about this when I made my character, and so I picked noble as a background in addition to a really bad roll on willpower I'm currently stuck at 22WP...
But all my other stats, except 28 toughness, are more than great, so I kept it.

My question would be, if there is any way to boost WP even at the cost of another attribute. I don't care, I just have to get to 55WP for all the beefier malefic stuff.

Even with all my attribute advances in WP I only get to 42 without being a throne agent.

This really sucks and I guess unless I can shove a rule into my gamemasters face that allows me to somehow boost or switch WP, I can drop all my hopes in becoming a dark student... (seriously, I love this GM but he is strict on rules like that.)

I worked really hard on an excuse as to why I would want to learn such heresy in the first place and had to make clear that I strictly study it just to know more about fiends of that kind.

The next problem would be getting sanctioned.
Malefics get a psy rank, so they can be sensed by other psykers. If the psyker from our group would sense me, he would either kill me for not being sanctioned, or hand me over to the black ships...

Now I have read somewhere that an inquisitor can sanction psykers without any precautions if he declares him somewhat safe. Does anyone know something about this?

If I can't get something that says something like "Nah, it's ok that he wields sorcery, I allow it. -Some Inquisitor" I fear for my life that I will be killed by my own group...

Thanks for anyone who will try to help me.
>>
>>52203526
the rite of sanctioning takes place on terra, and only happens if you're not judged "fuel for the lighthouse" so you're pretty SoL without a (radical) inquisitor going "No you don't he works for me"

Willpower boosters there isn't much either that isn't GM fiat, pretty much everything that boosts attributes that isn't an advance only really affects str/toughness.
>>
File: image.gif (294KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
294KB, 480x480px
Looking for black crusade stories and ideas. Need ideas for how campaigns can go and such
>>
>>52203484
Huh. Thank ou for the explanation.
>>
>>52203557
This is not good...
I guess without a rule my GM won't do anything without a huuuuge sacrifice. He's the kinda guy that let's you pay ten times the worth of something you should not have so you appreciate it (and that's cool. Like said, love this guy.)

I won't even get to the 35WP for sorcerer then. So I guess I could somehow work out a trade of 40 fellowship for 10WP. Maybe a custom mutation or the like :/

Is there any rules for characters who get sanctioned late in game? Maybe they are away for 6 month and either pass the test or fuel the Emperor?
>>
>>52203526
>wahh why can't my character who doesn't have the attributes to be a particular role be that role?
>GM is soo strict!

Why did you even still become a psyker after rolling shithouse WP?
>>
>>52203977
1. I love the strictness of the GM, it makes you appreciate the small stuff.

2. I guess you do not understand. I'm an Adept who wants to become an Malefic Scholar. That's an alternative path for the Adept only.

I'm not even complaining about it. I rolled it and that's ok.
If there is anything that gives me WP, even better.

There is nothing wrong with asking your GM to make something work in your favor for a huge sacrifice. At the end, roleplaying is about fun.

Basically, you are a massive asshole right now who desperately wants to get a negative impression of me. Have fun.
>>
>>52204072
22 is incredibly low. Dump-stat low. And you think yet you want to be a psyker?

I'm just trying to understand where you get off with such faulty logic.
>>
>>52204104
Ok, maybe we got of on the wrong foot here.

I know that, and I already talked about it with my GM. I asked him if it's a good idea to which the answer was something like "Probably not, but your character does not know that.".
The problem is, I kinda already started taking the path because I did not know better (kinda new player). Now that I'm on this path, I won't back up as my character.

When I played my way into this, I thought that the main stat for stuff like that would be Int, which is my highest stat.

We're no powerplayers. I can life with a non optimal character, because flavor is much more important in our group. And if he dies because of stupid decisions, that's perfectly fine too. I make a new one and carry on.

I just asked if there is any way to increase my WP, because I don't know the rulebook to heart. Now that I know that there isn't, I have to ask my GM for a favor (which would be the first time for me, so I'm good to go) or deal with the consequences.

Tldr;
I'm a new player and don't know much about the rules up to this point.
>>
>>52204261
This is like an almost autistic berserker trying to be a bard though. For starters, why would they want to when they know they're not socially adept?

The second part comes in specifically for 40K and this scenario, how does your character even know about this stuff? Not even regular psykers tend to learn much if anything about Malefic Daemonology, it is specifically kept secret for good reason.

>Int
Yeah sorry bud, this isn't DnD.

>I can life with a non optimal character
This is beyond non-optimal to downright unfeasible. As you can see, getting an attribute below 25 locks you off from the prime talents and such for that attribute, this is true for both 1e and 2e.
>>
>>52203526
You could ask him to let you roll an entirely new character sheet and dump your current 22wp one?
>>
>>52204295
My cell features a more advances psycher that I follow around since the beginning. Some stuff happened. Now I'm in contact with another psycher who knows some unsanctioned psychers and so on and so forth... This was a combination of extreme lucky dices and unforeseen events.

I guess you're right, I got it now. Within the rules I won't ever get this to work for me.

But I don't know why my GM would let me run into this so blindly. Now I have to guess that he want's me to make him a deal outside of the rules.

I would take extremely high risks and bargain my other stats away for that. If not, I just have to accept that my character failed.

Thanks anyway, I just did not know any better.

>>52204327
Nah. The only scenario I see that happen is when my character dies and I make a new one :)
>>
>>52204445
>who knows some unsanctioned psychers
First of all, it's psyker*

Second, people know they're unsanctioned? People who are involved with the Inquisition know of these unsanctioned psykers, and haven't carted them off to the Black Ships?
>>
>>52204649
We're on it right now but it takes some time. I think it's a bigger thing, so right now we play along.

Signs point in the direction of a cult, but we are all more into investigating stuff right now. Our inquisitor thinks it's better to know exactly what's going on, before dealing too hasty and running into problems afterwards.

He likes to know his stuff beforehand.
>>
>>52204756
Even if that means that we currently smell alot like heresy. He's more of a radical guy I guess.
>>
In the Hark Heresy 2E group that I GM, one guy has an autocannon. He has bulging biceps so he doesn't have to set up, and he can deal out 3d10 + 4 or so damage. How can I get the rest of the party to not feel totally outclassed compared to this guy?

They recently fought/helped out some Tau so they have a 2 Pulse Rifles and a Pulse Carbine which do about 2d10 +3 damage, but they have low ammo.
>>
How do you guys balance techpriests ni Dark Heresy a bit?
>>
>>52203305
>>52203484
Horus Heresy anon here, thanks for the breakdown!
That seems like a good system to go with, though obviously replacing "Chapter" with "Legion" in my case.
Are you still keeping the various bonus skills and such that Marines get in Deathwatch?
>>
>>52204847
Rather than getting the rest of the party to not feel outclassed, disadvantage him. Take them places he can't lug an autocannon around, like a hiveworld. Get fast enemies such as Eldar and run them into his face, where the melee party members can shine in protecting him.
>>
>>52204857
How do you mean?
>>
Should I bother running Dark Heresy for people who aren't actually all that invested in the setting? I'm fairly confident in my knowledge of the setting, and I've DM'd a lot of low level DH 1e, so I think I could keep the world alive, but without a single player with a background in 40K, is it even worth it?
>>
>>52206591
If they are not invested in the setting you will have no fun at all.

Being new to the setting is nothing bad tho if they are willing to learn. Otherwise you will play a generic rpg.

You can test this by playing an investigation heavy demo with. Then, at the end of the evening you ask them what they think will happen. If they start theorizing about stuff they heard during their adventure and are more or less thrilled to know more, you know you have a group of people interested in the setting.

Anyway, play a demo with them. The rest is obvious.
>>
>>52206981
Thanks! Should I bother learning 2e for it? I checked out of the scene just as it was released, and all I know is that they were supposedly going to fix combat
>>
>>52205154
I tried to make it so it's good for making both regular marines and deathwatch, with deathwatch bonuses and training being an elite package added onto marine generation.

As far as doing HH marines, I'd wait and see what R'myr has cooking in the new book, I was one of the players in the republican commando game that tested much of the content and it should have plenty of ideas to pull from for a DH2 adaptation (or be good enough to run on it's own if you don't mind some of the quirks of regular deathwatch)
>>
>>52207257
Yes, 2e is fantastically better than 1e, just remember that the investigation rules in the supplements are optional, don't feel bound to follow the 'by the book' method
>>
>>52209471
Good to know, thanks!
>>
>>52197202
Daemons, genestealers, sluagth bioconstructs, Orks, traitor Marines... Pretty much anything can inhabit a Space Hulk. I'm rather fond of making up bizarre shit where Space Hulks are involved.
>>52199310
Eldar Corsairs do what they want 'cause a pirate is free, while Dark Eldar don't have many lines they won't cross and Eldar Rangers have some serious wanderlust to work out. Kroot and Blood Axes frequently work as mercenaries, and a Tau has a cooperative mindset and an eagerness to convert gue'la to the Greater Good. All are thus situationally inclined to coexist with humans, so it's a matter of the humans' behavior. Mechanically, the crew don't like knowing there's a filthy alien abhorred in the sight of the Emperor aboard their ship, but the feelings of PCs can vary wildly, from "KOMRADE ORK IS BESTEST FRIEND! MORE DRINK, URAAA!" to "I don't care how much the young master likes his... Pet. If I see it pick its nose at the dining table one more time I am putting a boltshell through its skull," or "PURGE THE XENOS!"
Explorators might be inclined to study xenos, while Ecclesiarchs or Sororitas will generally be inclined to put them to fire and sword, no questions asked.
>>52199743
>it's like using a piece of bread to mop up sauce, you're still going to eat the bread but it's the last thing you'll eat since it's still useful to you.
Excellent metaphor, thanks
>>52202922
Black Crusade is more recent, and in conjunction with additive Unnaturals in place of multiplicative ones it allows mortals with Unnatural Strength +4 to wield Astartes weapons without penalty for recoil and size, though I'd leave it up to GM discretion whether the Machine Spirits get pissy anyway.
>>
>>52203557
>the rite of sanctioning takes place on terra, and only happens if you're not judged "fuel for the lighthouse"
I thought so too, but according to one of my old GMs that's just for Astropaths, and "regular" psykers can be sanctioned elsewhere by someone with the appropriate training, such as an Inquisitor or a Space Marine Librarian.
>>52204847
Melee enemies that close in fast. Enemies with high Dodge and maybe Step Aside reserving a reaction to evade the fuck-off cannon once they see it in action. Psykers or Techpriests remotely jamming his weapon, Reliable be damned. Backpack-supplied Power Fields ineffective against melee strikes. Sneak attacks from melle fighters or snipers, possibly with Shocking ammunition or some other way to stun him do the others have to protect his twitching, steaming body until the seizures and spasms stop and he wakes up a few rounds in, having to spend an action to pick the gun up.
Try not to make it feel like you're picking on him, though. Melee enemies and force fields are your best bet IMO, but they'll also threaten any other ranged characters if their attention is diverted from the heavy weapons guy.
>>52206591
>without a single player with a background in 40K, is it even worth it?
This makes it better IMO. In Dark Heresy, you play a bunch of schmucks who don't know shit about the setting at large, and players who immerse themselves get to learn about it as they go.
>>
>Volkite chargers confirmed existing into 40k through the new terminator kit.

There really is no difference between 30k and 40k anymore. Literally everything is surviving into the present day.
>>
>>52209568
But is it ok to have your crew and xenos players to be fine with one another? I don't mind if I have to be a space pirate.

My players are basically an adventuring group of misfits looking for fame and fortune, but mostly fortune, and they all want to get along because they're space bandits/outcasts.

And my arch-militant's backstory is that she was a former battle sister(or canoness if possible) that was exiled because she was caught rescuing a small eldar family.
>>
>>52209585
>I thought so too, but according to one of my old GMs that's just for Astropaths, and "regular" psykers can be sanctioned elsewhere by someone with the appropriate training, such as an Inquisitor or a Space Marine Librarian.
This is correct. The strength of the psyker is gauged while on the Black Ship. Those that are considered above a certain strength are usually pulled out of line by various entities like the Inquisition, the Scholastica Psykana, or a space marine chapter.
>>
>>52209783
>is it ok to have your crew and xenos players to be fine with one another?
Yes, but the NPC crew's morale takes a hit. The PCs are up to you and your group.
>my arch-militant's backstory is that she was a former battle sister(or canoness if possible) that was exiled because she was caught rescuing a small eldar family.
What
Son you are on so many levels of heresy I don't even
Fine, have fun, but typically that would warrant an execution. Maybe if she ran away, and has Ecclesiarchy assassins after her head for an honor killing.
This shit is one of the reasons I ban Sororitas in Rogue Trader unless everyone's going with Ecclesiarchy ties. Where the hell did she even find an Eldar family to rescue? Were her Order purging an Exodite World and she forgot all the catechisms and hymns about how mercy is an unacceptable vice and xenos are to be purged before their treachery twists the minds of the Emperor's flock, and in a moment of weakness was caught snuggling them away? In that case, I guess a Canoness would work; makes it easier to swing around enough weight to get offworld.
>>
>>52209994
A lot of people who play 40k don't want to play 40k characters. It's why I don't play with randoms anymore. You always get that one 21st Century liberal running around a high city dressed up as a Sororitas or whatevrr.
>>
>>52209994
Not that guy, but you know how in the RPG's the Sororitas don't get corruption, just double the insanity? After enough purging, I could see even a Canoness finally snapping and thinking of those pitiful xenos with their big eyes as redeemable, or even think of them as human if she's far enough around the bend. I don't think it's safe secure xenos cuddling, imagine the response of an Eldar youngling being brought up like a sororitas to their standards, by a crazy (more than usual) Canoness. Certainly not a fun time for the Eldar.

Of course, that's presupposing a hefty dose of insanity, and if you start at chargen with zero I'd certainly find that odd.
>>
>>52210763
>a high city
Whoops, meant hive, of course.
>>
I got a DH 1st edition game in less than a month and I don't know nothing about the setting or DH sistem nor Warhammer/40k's.
Where should I start? What is the "5th edition players handbook" for 1st edition DH?
Is there an easy guide to the lore? Any good (and short) books?
>>
Guys what do I need physically in regards to Deathwatch stuff to learn the game? I want to learn it visually, so what dice, sheets and items should I get? I've never played a pen and paper RPG before.
>>
>>52212937
the 40k systems all require two d10 die, one set for each player if you'd like. Different colors or differentiation on numbers preferred so it's easy to tell what's the tens place and the ones. Then of course you need the rulebook pdfs if you don't want to spend a small fortune on the print books.

The rest is optional. Sheets for making maps if you want those, models for representing players on the map if you want that.
>>
>>52212904
Rulebook is a good place to start, and codices for individual armies. You might want to go read old fluff like Index Astartes or Realms of Chaos: Lost and the Damned.

Keep in mind that several authors (including chief editor Laurie Goulding in 2016, in a reversal of an earlier statement of his in 2014) have said that all 40k fluff old and new is valid, and you decide what is true and what's misdirection/legend/propaganda.

Basically I'd say, at your own pace, go through all the fluff sources yourself and decide what you like in the canon and whatever you do, don't get dragged into the screaming autismo fluff debates that crop up around here and boil down to "I dislike that fluff and if you like it you have shit taste lalalala not listening!".

https://mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

There's a link to downloads for pretty much all fluff old and new. Aforementioned codices/rulebooks are in 40k>rules>codices. You'll probably have to get more creative to find Index Astartes and Realms of Chaos because they're too big for me to upload to 4chins.

And I'm serious about exploring the lore for yourself. 40k's fanbase can't be trusted. There's so much distortion and fanon and outright lies floating around it can be hard to tell what's real and what isn't (like the Custodes have been fighting a perpetual war under the golden throne for 10000 years meme, that was repeated in ad naseum for a while despite having no basis in fact and being debunked explicitly in the new Rise of the Primarch book.) A bit meta given the setting.
>>
>>52213313
>Basically I'd say, at your own pace, go through all the fluff sources yourself and decide what you like in the canon and whatever you do, don't get dragged into the screaming autismo fluff debates that crop up around here and boil down to "I dislike that fluff and if you like it you have shit taste lalalala not listening!".
Also, since this can happen in real life, a good rule of thumb for the RPGs is that the GM's word is law. If you disagree with something he put into the game fluffwise, go GM your own game that plays by your view. Or if you're in a group of friends like I am, it's easy just to discuss fluff and make group decision on what general is, and isn't.
>>
>>52209994
you should have just said that it will be extremely troublesome if she was a sororita.

Alright, i'll change her backstory.
>>
File: 1485028290904.png (2MB, 1021x993px) Image search: [Google]
1485028290904.png
2MB, 1021x993px
>>52213069
>Different colors or differentiation on numbers preferred so it's easy to tell what's the tens place and the ones.

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>52213313
That and the 'Leman Russ was a tractor' meme, I'm pretty sure it was the Land Raider that was used for agricultural purposes, as per the old Epic rulebook (though I willingly accept if I'm wrong.)
>>
>>52213502
The system does a percentile system, most of the rolls are made with 2d10 to get a number between 01-00.

So when you roll, say, a 4, and a 6. You need to know which die is the tens and the singles ahead of time. So that you know if it's a 46 or a 64.
>>
>>52213549
You could just use percentile dice. You know, the ones that go 00, 10, 20, 30, 40, ect.
>>
>>52213608
The ones I have still come in sets of two d10. One that says 10, 20 to 00, and one that's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. They're what I had in mind when I said, "differentiation on numbers".
I'll admit I blanked out that they had a preexisting name other than 'variant d10'.
>>
Soo I am a veteran GM that did couple of DH2 games, OW and one of BC. I am interested about making RT one.. but handling the crew of the ship and ship fights seem scary to me. Can someone help me with what I should get to know with? RT core is a little.. chaotic, even more than BC one. No pun intended.
>>
>>52213719
>never bother to check crew's quarters
>check them once
>genestealer infections everywhere

Don't be like this
>>
>>52213767
By scary I meant I don't know how to handle this, how to approach that topic - how to set it in the middle, so that my players won't get too autistic about the topic.
>>
>>52213767
It literally happened to my players once

That's wha happen when you send a shitload of people on a Space Hulk and forget doin medical check-ups after shit inevitably hit the fan.
>>
>>52214065

Exactly. Even Holy Terra is dealing with a genestealer cult. Your ship is not exempt. The Chirurgeon is your friend - visit him or her regularly.
>>
Question for reasons: What's best against Dark Eldar ships in Rogue Trader?
>>
>>52203743
*ring ring*
Moshi moshi, Tzeench Desu.

Of course. I'll gladly give you some WP for double / triple the corruption when you flub your rolls and hit perils.

Seriously. Dark pact with a demon of Tzeench is a very likely thing for a sorcerer to do.

Oh and another note, the psyker ain't gone know shit till you channel your powers near or in front of them. You aren't some burning beacon of a soul that another psyker or navigator is. You make the fire, they are the fire.
>>
File: young master.jpg (381KB, 1200x533px) Image search: [Google]
young master.jpg
381KB, 1200x533px
Do you get space aids when you do the nasty with Eldar?
>>
>>52204847
This exact same thing happened to our party. IG douchebag snagged an autocannon and thought it wouldn't affect gameplay if he mowed down everything. For context, we had pretty mediocre weapons. I, the techpriest myrmidon, had a hellgun (and later an OP servoclaw), the scummer had a best quality longlas, and the cleric had an eviscerator that half the time nearly took his own leg. It sounds like your party is pretty well equipped otherwise, our GM was pretty stingy.

It was because our IG was such an argumentative fellow that our GM attached a lot of strings to that autocannon to curb its use:
>GM noted that autocannons, as described in the handbook, are intended to be crewed by teams of 2+ people.
>GM then ruled that someone needed to feed the ammunition belt into the autocannon while the IG fired it in order to avoid a large houserule jamming penalty.
IG hired a porter, who had commoner stats and needed to be constantly bribed to work in increasingly terrifying conditions
>since the rounds the autocannon uses are explosive tipped, a price per round was worked out
A good portion of IG's income then went to feeding his beast
>The rule for bulging biceps simply say that the weapon CAN be fired without bracing, not that it removes all penalties
>Elsewhere in the rules, the penalty for firing without bracing is mentioned: -30 to hit
IG got a bipod and some sandbags, making the porter also lug the sandbags

It was heavy-handed for sure, but he was oblivious to the problems he posed, no matter how we tried to discuss it with him. It brought about a modicum of balance because IG now needed to deliberate whether it was economically worth it to use his death machine, now saving it for very hard fights.
>>
>>52214912
>>The rule for bulging biceps simply say that the weapon CAN be fired without bracing, not that it removes all penalties
>>Elsewhere in the rules, the penalty for firing without bracing is mentioned: -30 to hit

That is literally the point of the talent, to remove the -30 penalty and fire without bracing. The GM is a faggot.
>>
>>52214928
I said it was heavy-handed, but everyone else was outclassed to such a degree that balance couldn't be achieved again without either loot raining from the sky or making restrictive houserules for overpowered autocannon.
Rules exist to create a framework for a good game experience for the party. If the party is not having a good time due to one rule, fun takes precedence and a houserule is made.
>>
How Acolytes dress on Dark Heresy? What is their uniform? On the same line, what does the navy wears in boarding parties?
>>
So, going to be playing an Enginseer. First time playing Only War but i've played Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, a tiny bit of Deathwatch, Adeptus Evangelion. Only War however is mostly unknown to me other than some general, basic knowledge.
Anyone got tips for how to make an Enginseer? And by 'make an enginseer' I mean 'make a really fucking bullshit enginseer' obviously with a preference for 'functionally invincible'.
>>
>>52209768
Many examples of things have survived, anon, what makes you think items that had literally thousand or hundreds of thousands of production pieces made disappear?
They can't be reproduced or easily maintained, however, so they normally aren't used and sit in storage.
>>
File: necromunda guardswoman.jpg (257KB, 900x1500px) Image search: [Google]
necromunda guardswoman.jpg
257KB, 900x1500px
>>52216060
Most Acolytes are civilians when they are recruited, and so wear whatever is appropriate to their station. Once you're inducted into the Inquisition, the extent to which you'll wear any kind of uniform is dictated by your master. When acting "officially" you're likely to prominently display some sort of Inquisitorial insignia, but other than that you tend towards trying to blend in. Body gloves (basically tactical cat suits) are popular with assassins and other stealth operatives, but an Acolyte can dress pretty much however they like, usually informed by their homeworld or whatever planet they're operating on. Loose robes are popular for Clerics and Adepts, Enforcers and Guardsmen might keep wearing their old uniforms to intimidate witnesses, Assassins will probably dress very practically when they aren't out operating, former Gangers and criminals will have a very eclectic dress sense informed by their origins, etc. The sky's the limit, really, as 40k fashion ranges from tribal loin cloths and tattoos to fancy dressing gowns.
>>
>The character can fire heavy weapons using Semi-Auto Burst or Full Auto Burst without bracing, and he does not suffer the –30 penalty for failing to brace.
Anyone else find it odd that this doesn't cover standard attacks? Or is there something, somewhere, that offers unbraced standard attacks?
>>
>>52216640
You flat out cannot fire on semi and full auto without bracing and single shots without bracing take a -30.
>>
File: 1346857023825.jpg (39KB, 630x480px) Image search: [Google]
1346857023825.jpg
39KB, 630x480px
>>52209994
but anon, there's nothing wrong about heresy
>>
>>52216272
Slight addendum: I have just discovered the Crimson Exemplar. Any tips on how to wring out the most murder-power from this? Preferably whilst still being able to fulfil the role of 'guy wot fixes everything up'.
>>
>>52216946
Ok, but outside Bulging Biceps, where does it say that?
>>
>>52217677
Gee, I dont know. Perhaps under the heavy weapon classification in the core book of every game in the line.

But you'd know that if you actually bothered to read the books.
>>
>>52217901
1. fuck yourself sideways with a rake.

2. I was looking under combat actions. Yknow, because the bracing action and all the damn attack actions mentioned in bulging biceps are there?

3. turn the rake around.
>>
>>52173490
So I have a question for you /tg/.

How do I balance encounters in the new system? Say I want the party to go up against a Chaos Marine as a boss-type character, but how powerful do I make that marine? Any advice? Since starting XP is completely different than 10 sessions under the belt characters, but I'm still not sure how to advance bad guys correctly.
>>
>>52217951
Don't ask stupid questions that are obvious if you read the bioks then. Learn some comprehension skills while you're at it since the talent specifying heavy weapons should have clued you in.
>>
>>52218002
You must be great at attracting new players.
>>
DH2. My players have about 2500 exp under their belt and I'm going to have them pull a heist on another Inquisitor. Any ideas on how to make the encounter more tense or clever or interesting?
>>
File: FleetCrew.jpg (214KB, 1048x842px) Image search: [Google]
FleetCrew.jpg
214KB, 1048x842px
>>52216060
Uniforms can vary from ship to ship, as they are large enough and old enough to literally have their own cultures. You can also expect the uniform to change from lowly voidman who is little more than a slave to the various officers and NCOs depending on what part of the ship they work in.

For boarding actions, naval arms men wear what is described as a suit of heavy armor that only really covers the front of them. There are actually stats for it in the IHB I think. Here is a picture of some navy armsmen from an old rule book
>>
>>52217983
Take a look at the Deathwatch marines listed as NPC assets.
>>
>>52214323
Not the other guy, but also becoming a malefician scholar soon I hope.
Had a nice conversation with my DM about this.
Me: But I don't want to do nasty stuff with demons, that shit's to dangerous.
DM: But you will, because that's part of it.
Me: This will fuck me up in the long run, won't it?
DM: *has this fucking smirk face* It already fucked you up in the long run when you decided to go full heretic in a team of puritans.

I'm a fucking retard and basically killed my character a week ago or so. I guess I need some exorcism soon :(
>>
>>52220307
Exorcism is for assets that are hard to replace. Your character probably doesn't fall into that category.
>>
Does anyone know of any instances in 40k lore of individual Space Marines being awarded lordship or governorship over a newly conquered or liberated world in recognition of particularly heroic or impressive deeds?
>>
Ran a combat heavy demo yesterday (Inquisitor had the acolytes disable a ship's generators and then had them blow it up once he realized some CSM had boarded) and man, 5 acolytes vs 4 enemies took a long time. Probably came from the entire group learning the system together, but people said they had fun once they understood everything.
>>
>>52214323
>Dark pact with a demon of Tzeench

Oh man this brings back so many pleasant memories. I've learned throughout my time playing dark heresy that lords of change are the best bros. They almost always honor all their pacts to the letter.
>>
>>52221273
no. because that would involve them not fighting anymore, and that would be wasteful and stupid.
>>
Playing DH2E, completely new player here. Anyone have tips on creating/RPing a Voidborn Tech-Priest? Any sort if advice is welcome.
>>
>>52221940
It would also violate their warrior-monk thing.
>>
>>52222428
1. Act obsessively loyal to ships, they carry life everywhere and guide them.
2. Stargaze often.
3. The Omnissiah is best, fuck everyone else.
4. If you have not attempted to put your jack into any port you found on a ship yet, you are doing it wrong.
5. Find a favorite port and claim your territory, never allow anyone near it.
6. Max. The. Fuck. Out. Of. Intelligence.
7. Repeat 1-5 until you have made your point then continue doing it.
>>
>>52221273

At one more a group of space marine scouts that discovered a new STC for a new type of combat knife were given governorships of several worlds. Referenced in the Gaunt's Ghosts books at some point IIRC.
>>
>>52220422
I know... Hopefully I'm somewhat safe until then.

There btw IS an elite advance package in Radical's Handbook that lets you exorcise a character for either 500xp and 1 permanent fate point or ALL permanent fate points if no xp are spent.

It also looks super useful, except the part that your fellowship is reduced to 10 and 1d5 less wounds.
Other than that you get 2d10 insanity points, psiniscience +10, fearless, dark sould and resistence (psychic), immunity to warpshock and every corruption points gained are halfed, immune to mutating effects from corruption.

It does state nowhere that you cannot pick the malefic scholar with this.

Do I overlook something or is an exorcised malefic scholar really a pretty nice synergy?

Just half the corruption from casting, no demon possessions and no warp shock, sounds powerful.
>>
>>52218071
New players should be the ones reading the entire book, not skipping around reading the things they think are important.
That's the root of how you get player fuck ups.
>>52218628
>DH2e
>2500
>rolling another inquisitor
Hah, no. 2500 isn't a thing, really, it means they can wipe their own ass. Have them target another acolyte team, because an inquisitor should have the resources and personal skill to roll their faces.
For example, a basic inquisitor is 15k xp built, bare minimum.
>>
>>52222877
No matter how you spin it, it was sperging out over perceived not reading something, and you're upholding all the worst and least approachable examples of grognardia. Almost everyone you talk to lacks the great and questionable benefit of being you, nor is anyone beholden to memorise the 40k rpg line front to back. So get over yourself.
>>
Can a space marine develop psyker powers/trait even if he wasn't born with them?
>>
>>52223621
Any human can, though it's less likely than being born a psyker. The only rules for it are for regular humans in RT
>>
>>52223621
It's rare and makes you a mary sue.
>>
>>52223621
Not by RAW.
Nothing in fluff that I know of, BUT:

Theoretically if the marine's implants came from a Librarian's progenoid and had a subtle mutation that all the tests missed then it could happen, but would be tied into the development of his own progenoid organs.
However, the chapter's Librarians would be certain to detect his gradual development of psyker potential during the regular checks for warp taint that are part of maintaining spiritual purity.
Thus, he would be examined for taint, then inducted into the Libarium for training.

Tl:Dr
Could happen, won't be able to hide it.
>>
Are your starting skills in Only War trained or simply Known?
>>
>>52222783
It was Imperial Guard scouts.
>>
>>52223812
Honestly I would say quite the opposite. Developing psker powers is something most Sues wouldn't want because it will likely kill them.
>>
>>52224065
They start at known. Duplicates of that skill give you a bonus +50xp
>>
Never touched rogue trader, but I was curious to know if you could play Kroot? I know they moonlight as mercenaries and I was just curious.
>>
>>52225040
Yes, you can. Check Into the Storm.
>>
>>52225057
Neat. Was considering having a player play as Kroot in my Only War game against the party of Guardsmen. I'll have to look into this book.
>>
>>52221273
The closest I can think of would be the Star Phantoms, who were given lordship over the Badab Sector, following the Badab War.
>>
>>52218705

How the boarding works? Do they explode the hull and get in or they get through the airlocks?

>>52216486

ty senpai
>>
>>52225008
Cheers guv.

By the way, might as well ask again, anyone got any tips for making a Tech-Priest Enginseer with intention of going Crimson Exemplar? Right now i've taken, as my free cybernetics, Bionic Legs and Cerebral Implants because they seem to be the best choices for free Good quality cybernetics. Anyone got any further tips?
>>
>>52221273
There's a blurb on such things in Deathwatch: Rites of Battle about Astartes being granted honorary and ceremonial dominion over planets. Check the section on Distinctions.
Most of the Ultramarines' captains have such lordships, too, but a lot of those are hereditary to the post, not earned by the individual.
>>52223804
DH2e allows people to take the Psyker package after chargen.
>>52223621
Yes, in fact it's the norm for psychic powers to manifest later in life, often around adolescence - one of the roles of the Librarius is to keep an eye out for gifted individuals and remove them from the Battle Companies once they've completed their Assault and Devastator training and entered Tactical Squads, or sooner if they're particularly powerful and pose a threat to themselves or others if left untrained in matters of the Warp.
>>52225206
Chapters being granted dominion is common; they need recruiting worlds. Individuals happens too, but it's more of an honorary thing; not even Ultramar is governed 24/7 by Astartes who could be waging war instead.
>>52225766
Bionic legs are okay, but the best cybernetics to have at Good are probably the Augur Array - counts as an auspex, so +20 Awareness always and can test Tech Use to scan like a Star Trek tricorder for toxic gases and such, but at Good quality allows you to REROLL ALL FAILED AWARENESS TESTS - and the MIU, which is a little more situational but gives you +10 to assorted tests when plugged in to machines or vehicles, including Dodge and attack rolls if it's Good quality. Cranial implants' Unnatural Intelligence is amazing, but upgrading their quality to get it makes them Near Unique.
>>
>>52226917
The Enginseer starts with a good craftsmanship MIU and two craftsmanship quality cybernetics of choice. Reason I'm taking the cranial implants is because like hell i'll ever manage to get those during gameplay but I can get 'em for free in chargen. As for the Augur Array, yeah that's actually pretty dang good. That's rather tempting over the legs. I'll check rarities and get whichever is higher rarity so that I can get the other one during gameplay easier.
Also, i've seen people say that AdMech characters in Only War get sweet admech gear easier (like power armour and alatus jump packs) but I haven't found anything so far to say why or how. Anyone got any insight?
>>
File: cain action figure.jpg (5MB, 1530x1980px) Image search: [Google]
cain action figure.jpg
5MB, 1530x1980px
>>52225362
Boarding works lots of different ways. You can blow a hole in the hull and rush in that way, burst through air locks, form a seal with your boarding vessel and then use a melta bomb to get inside, or use a "boarding Torpedo", which is essentially a hybrid between a missile and a space craft that slams through the enemy hull and then opens up to let the boarders rush out. Teleportariums are also used, but are pretty rare and finicky, so only specialists like Space Marines or probably some branches of the Mechanicus have regular access to them.
>>
>>52227009
I'm not particularly familiar with Only War, but Alatus packs and other such things should be in Shield of Humanity, the book with Lathe homeworlds and Crimson Guard regiments.
>>
>>52227060
They are, yeah. Unfortunately I don't see how I get easier access to them, although what I might very well do is take the Alatus-Pattern Jump Pack as my other cybernetic because fuck trying to acquire one of those in the field I suspect.
>>
I'm noticing advancement is very different in Only War from other games in the line. Instead of each class having specific lists of advances you just get a big list and as long as you meet the pre-reqs you're golden?
If that's the case, are advanced specialities and advanced field trainings pretty much just some new gear, aptitudes and a talent or two along with the two extra advances?
>>
>>52227803
Yeah, the system changed in Black Crusade and carried over to Only War and DH2e
>>
>>52203577
I once ate a greater daemon of Nurgle.
That was fun.
>>
>>52224065
The other guy is completely wrong. Page 41 of the core book. You go up to trained and only get bonus 100 exp if you would get a talent twice.
>>
>>52227803
DH1e, RT, and DW use career advancement tables.
Black Crusade uses a wonky as hell Alignment system where advances are priced by your current standing with the associated Chaos God, and buying more associated advances can align or Mark you.
Only War and DH2e switched to an Aptitude system where Talents are divided into three tiers, and advancements' cost is determined by your matching Aptitudes and the tier of the talent, characteristic advancement, or skill advancement.
Furthermore, OW lets you switch speciality and aptitudes after every such-and-such XP.
>>
>>52213455
Yeah, just make her a tempestus scion or guardswoman and your story will check out fine.
>>
>>52215104
IIRC Autocannons are pretty heavy, was the Guardsman in question so meaty that weight wasn't a concern?
>>
>>52227979
Ah, thanks. That's very helpful.

>>52228009
Huh. I guess i've been out of it for too long, DW was the last game I had any interaction with in the series.
Also, if I want my Tech-Priest to get, say, a suit of power armour, is that just through the usual logistics stuff with rolling commerce and rolling squad logistics rating? Does feel a bit odd to scrounge up a set of power armour by checking around.
>>
>>52228085
RAW, yeah. In practice I'd like to think most GMs will at least have that roleplayed out.
>>
>>52228085
Rour squad starts with a logistics raiting of 10. Light and normal power armor is near unique. And then add on the modifiers on page 163.

You'd have to be a 5+ year veteran of the war zone since the start of the fisrt battle to have a chance of getting it.
>>
>>52228172
Ah. That's tricksy. I'm hoping to go Crimson Exemplar and want to get my hands on that totally sweet as shit red power armour they use. What's the point in going full terminator unless you get to look good doing it, you know?
That said, apparently Enginseers treat Power Armour as 'merely' Extremely Rare, so that's...something?
>>
Actually, looking at it, is there any way to acquire some extra starting gear in chargen (like spending some thrones in earlier games in the line) or are you just stuck with your starting kit, specialist equipment and then whatever you can get during the game?
>>
I don't know where else to ask this but

Are Blood Angels Successors given the Blood of Sanguinus for their chapters?
>>
File: Dark Heresy Space Marines v2.pdf (360KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Space Marines v2.pdf
360KB, 1x1px
>>52178826
Hey, this thread is still up!

Here is an updated version of the previous pdf I posted. I'll probably make a version where your Legion is part of your Homeworld instead of your background, but for now I'm pretty pleased with it.

Please, let me know what you think!
>>
File: 1486165590502.jpg (17KB, 349x320px) Image search: [Google]
1486165590502.jpg
17KB, 349x320px
>>52178826
>Horus Heresy
>Scholastic Lore (Codex Astartes)
>>
>>52229490

Why so autistic? There's no difference between 30k and 40k :^)
>>
>>52229490
Whoops, must have missed that when copying it from Deathwatch. I'll probably change it to Tactics or Space Marine Legions
>>
>>52203577
DOOM but from the other side. Some Space Marine veteran is hunting y'all (innocents mistaken for the surrounding cultists) so you side with the cultists and try to summon daemons.
>>
File: SMLegionOrg.jpg (334KB, 1244x849px) Image search: [Google]
SMLegionOrg.jpg
334KB, 1244x849px
>>52229635
I advise changing it to Scholastic Lore (Principia Belicosa)
>>
>>52229978
Ah! Good idea, thank you!
>>
So here's a thought, what happens when you integrate a two-handed melee weapon? Do you now have both hands semi-permanently full or wot?
>>
>>52230347
Your hands can now fuse into a weapon
One weapon has the blade can be used one handed
>>
>>52230347
I probably just wouldn't allow it - that, or the weapon replaces one hand but it still needs the other hand's help to effectively wield
>>
>>52230537
I've been trying to figure out how to emulate the Crimson Exemplar that's in the advanced speciality picture. He's wearing Crimson Armour (easy, you get that by default), a ballistic mechadendrite (possibly on a servo arm, not quite sure how that works), a respirator implant, a shield and a chain glaive. Except a chain glaive is a two-handed weapon, leaving me a little puzzled about how to emulate this.
>>
>>52230634
A servoarm is a type of mechadendrite. If you want a ballistic mechadendrite you'll have to acquire one like any other cybernetic.
As for the glaive, maybe it plugs into your wrist? Is there anything in the art to imply that it's integrated? The pictured example might just have a venator blade or a laspistol built into a cybernetic arm as a backup or a nasty surprise.
>>
>>52230743
The pictured example is sadly a chain glaive just held in his hand with a shield in the other hand.
Also, reason I am confused by his ballistic mechadendrite is that it's very solid and chunky, looking a lot more like a servo arm with a gun on the end than the normal mechadendrite. That said, I'm not sure how to take 'ballistic mechadendrite or utility mechadendrite, (servo arm)' in his specialist equipment anyway. The brackets suggest it's meant to be related to those options but there's nothing about the servo arm equipment to suggest you could make it work as a utility or ballistic mechadendrite. It's just the big vice-clamp claw thing.
>>
>>52230845
Sounds as though it's categorizing a servoarm as a type of utility mechadendrite, which sort of makes sense given that it's meant for utility purposes like lifting tanks to fix the treads, or holding on to something sturdy when there's some kind of turbulence.
>>
>>52230347
>>52230537
>>52230634
Integrated means you have a power feed, not that it actually replaces limbs. just make sure you have a carry loop, and you can't really take it off/drop it
>>
File: prophet_himself_again-610x376.png (420KB, 610x376px) Image search: [Google]
prophet_himself_again-610x376.png
420KB, 610x376px
How would you stat the John Prophet chopping knives? They seem like they do more damage than the 1d5 of a regular DH2 knife. Just make them swords or fidget around with making them best quality mono knives or some weird shit?
>>
>>52231130
Only War HotE warknife
>>
>>52231182
Neat, thanks.
>>
Another new discovery (wow I sure do love the lack of errata since fucking four years ago).
Integrated Weapons from the Crimson Exemplar advance give a fatigue level when they reload. Integrated Weapons from the weapon upgrade give a fatigue level when they jam but nothing at all is listed for how reloads are handled on non-las weapons, las weapons in fact requiring no reloads (which isn't said in the Crimson Exemplar advance). Anyone know how you're meant to reconcile this? Is there an official thing about it?
>>
>desperado
>assassin strike
>free move action from melee attacking
>free pistol shooting action from move action
>read the assassin strike description again
>specifically mentions you don't get free attacks from the move action

Those fuckers had me figured out all along.
>>
>>52231613
>>specifically mentions you don't get free attacks from the move action
Eh? Assassin Strike says your opponent does not get a free attack.

>[...] the character’s opponent does not receive a free attack resulting from this move.

As in, you get a free Disengage Full Action.
>>
File: LgBwP1O.jpg (228KB, 974x514px) Image search: [Google]
LgBwP1O.jpg
228KB, 974x514px
>>52220307
>when you decided to go full heretic in a team of puritans.

DM thinks your full heretic.
TFW
You're just on righteous side of hell.
>>
>>52221273
What is RowBoat Girlyman?

No seriously, this happens. Marine gets shit done, gets awarded a planet. Usually they become a chapter master as a result and their planet becomes their recruiting world.
>>
File: charging guardsmen.gif (28KB, 262x300px) Image search: [Google]
charging guardsmen.gif
28KB, 262x300px
Since the melee attachment is plentiful, making it best craftmanship makes it scarce, so you can still start with it. Does having a best craftmanship melee attachment turn your lasgun into a best craftmanship spear in melee combat? Personally I'd assume, but that means you could get a best craftmanship spear, but a regular best craftmanship spear would be rare quality, effectively giving me a best quality spear at character start that normally wouldn't be possible, that's also a fire arm. Is this cheesing/rules lawyering/powergaming or justified by the need to already have a basic weapon? Slapping mono in there too allows the agri world guardsman I'm rolling up to get a +30 to hit on the charge, dealing 1d10+3+SB (probably 3-4) with 2 pen and having spend no experience on becoming a better melee fighter.
>>
>>52231846
A melee attachment is basically the same as a knife and the difference between a Best Craftsmanship MA and a Best Craftsmanship Spear is that the spear also includes the shaft and point of attachment between the shaft and blade.
>>
>>52231691
Good thing you have a better reading comprehension than I do, or just aren't reading rules at 02:13.

So, am I then correct to assume that you could actually charge someone, acrobatics test away, pull out a pistol with a free action assuming he has the gear/talents, and fire? Then charge back in the next turn and do it all again, or does the only one attack per turn rule prevent that? The Desperado trait makes no mention of it, unlike the MIU weapons interface that mentions the free action firing doesnt' allow multiple attacks per turn.
>>
>>52231903
I figured it was something like that.
>>
>>52231971
I've tried similar shenanigans in the past. Some GMs rule that the Desperado bonus attack doesn't let you make extra attacks in a turn, others rule that it does.
I was using Two Weapon Wielder and Hip Shooting to pop off dual pistol shots on a full move into Point Blank, plus my Desperado bonus, for three standard attacks per turn, all benefitting from Inescapable Attack. My other attempt at this, which got shut down by the GM, was a psyker who would halfmove, make his free shot, and then manifest an attack power as a free action, passing off the target flopping around like a ragdoll or catching fire as the Emperor blessing his laspistol.
>>
>>52233282
It'll be interesting to see how my GM rules it. He thinks everything I do is powergaming after I've had a habbit of telling him about the weird shit you could do with character creation in some systems.
>>
>>52233428
That moment when we visit the dining room of a rival rogue trader for negotiations and he has an ancient autogun in a display case, that he proudly brags about as being from before the Imperium. Claiming that experts in pre-Imperial history told him that the writing on the gun named it "The Colt-Pattern autogun of the 16th Millennia"
>>
>>52173490
Is it fine to start Rogue Trader as a rags-to-riches route?
Like, an old RT having a falling down and decides to pass her mantle to her young relative?

Then, the young RT starts to form a crew and ship, etc.
>>
>>52234742
That's one of the dynasty options iirc
>>
Going to be dming a rogue trader game soon. How do I not instagib my players in combat? Combat in this game looks fucking brutal skimming through the rules.
>>
>>52234903
By making your players Instagram their henchmen and hirelings.
>>
>>52234946
God damn it autocorrect...but yes, taking pictures of their crew members getting greased by Xeno-chaos angry fuckhuge monster XXXIV and sharing the hilarious experience with their friends is something a rogue trader would do.
>>
File: ded sneaky.jpg (145KB, 600x851px) Image search: [Google]
ded sneaky.jpg
145KB, 600x851px
>>52234903
Limit yourself to one or two combats per session. A fight should be a *big deal* and something they could hypothetically prepare for. Ambush is a perfectly valid way to achieve victory, as is simply surrounding an enemy and convincing them to surrender.
Start them off fighting humans.
Think about what those humans would realistically get their hands on. Another rogue trader will have similar gear to them, but a hive gang will likely have stub guns and little armor, Enforcers will be rocking carapace and shotguns, cultists will have whatever they can scavenge, etc. Heavy weapons are expensive, cumbersome, and obvious. An enemy should only really have them if they're a fortified military outfit.
Remember that psychers and other specialists are rare. You're much more likely to fight a team of thugs than a DnD style group including a Striker, Tank, and Controller.
Remind them that running away is perfectly valid (and let them actually escape!).
Have opponents start checking morale and considering fleeing when things turn against them. Most of their enemies shouldn't fight to the death. Hired mercs will likely run once one or two of their number are down, for example, and even Genestealers and Orks will regroup if a fight goes bad.
Likewise, if they're on their back feet and surrounded, have the enemy take them captive. A rogue trader and her entourage are valuable hostages, and jail breaks are fun.
Finally, remember that grotesque injury and death are part of the game!
>>
File: aJzgKc9.jpg (73KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
aJzgKc9.jpg
73KB, 600x800px
>>52234742
I always assumed that was the default.
>>52234903
They'll be fine. Damage from every incoming hit is reduced by their armour and toughness bonus before it hurts them, and has to burn through all their wounds before it starts dealing critical damage. On top of that, they can take cover for bonus armor points, stacking with their own (layered armour doesn't stack, cover is an exception) and all it takes is one good Dodge roll to negate a single attack, up to and including a whole Full Auto Burst's worth of hits.
Resolving attacks may take a bit until you get the hang of roll to hit > roll to evade > roll damage > apply damage, but then combat will speed up considerably.
If they get fucked up in a grueling fight, such is the nature of the 41st Millennium. (Or 40th, or 42nd, wherever you're setting this.) They'll live, with burnt Fate Points if they got *really* fucked up and were too dumb to flee, and learn from the experience to bring more dakka, fight smarter, send in the redshirts first, or just avoid combat where possible.
>>
>>52222764
Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by my port? I'm not seeing anything about that in the book.
>>
>>52233870
Well I've got an Autogun from the future.

They make autoguns with real wood furniture in the 47th millennia. Who'd have known?
>>
>>52232020
If you get a best Lasgun and best MA, I'd GM rule it to be a best spear.
>>
File: 1417845539156.jpg (495KB, 1200x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1417845539156.jpg
495KB, 1200x1239px
Quick question with followup request for general feedback/ideas.

Where are the rules for extreme cold/heat in Black Crusade? I found the rules for Insulated/Thermal armor upgrades on page 178, but I can't find the rules for the Toughness tests due to extreme weather that those upgrades reference. I've got a session on a desert planet that fluctuates between extreme cold and heat soon, and I want to see what the actual rules say about those environments mechanically.

Here's the blur I gave the players in advance, and any ideas or feedback about it would be welcome. Planning on having two daemons (thinking either Nurgle and Tzeentch or Tzeentch and Slaanesh) appear during the cold/heat cycles and try to woo the party.

>A desert planet on the very edge of the Screaming Vortex, the unnatural swells of the Vortex plunge the planet into alternating freezing subzero temperatures and blistering heat. Once the planet hosted several Mechanicum mining facilities, but those facilities have long since been abandoned. Small pockets of humanity still eke out a living in underground bunkers, but they frequently fall prey to incorporeal gheists thought to emanate from the largest of the mines.

>Should the planet be claimed, the Mechanicum mines and associated forges promise plenty of material and technology, and the human settlements could be raided for slaves or coerced into servitude.

Thanks in advance. Image unrelated.
>>
>go to the ffg forums for only war to ask some rules questions
>only after trying to post do i realise it's an archived forum

We have been forsaken.
>>
File: 0930.jpg (96KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
0930.jpg
96KB, 900x600px
>>52238921
Doesn't work as well as the other guy's joke. AK47 doesn't mean anything relevant to Imperials I can think of while they'd see the engraved M16 and read a partial date.
>>
>>52239681
Y'know, if someone found an M2 carbine they'd actually have it right.
>>
>>52239681
Well if you wanted to get REALLY autistic about it, the joke doesn't work at all because we've seen in the fluff (including the fluff that confirms the Imperium still uses the latin alphabet Or possibly Cyrillic, but I find that very unlikely.) that the Imperium can date objects fairly accurately. At least, some places can, of course the technological level and/or expertise of the Imperium is hardly a constant planet by planet.
>>
>>52236506
>rogue trader group
>surviving against genestealers
Sheeeeiiiit. A couple genestealers are more than capable of wrecking their own number in Deathwatch Marines, let alone humans.
>>
>>52233870
You know, this makes me think. How often do we ever see _companies_ in 40k? Yeah we have forge worlds and their patterns but there's almost never even a mention of companies or brands in the fluff.
>>
>>52239965
I have them in my games. Usually as PMCs or mining cartels and trading syndicates and such.
>>
>>52239861
In fairness, it depends on armament and location. Genestealers in cramped conditions will obliterate people. Genestealers in less cramped conditions against experienced, well-armed opponents are going to suffer and have to rely on swarming them, which might not be feasible depending on their available numbers.
There's quite a lot of stuff in fluff with, for instance, Imperial Guard holding off Genestealers in a sewer of all places, albeit with the help of a few fire warriors.
>>
>>52239965
There are guilds, trade compacts, and similar entities throughout the novels, along with a couple of explicit corporations.

The model seems to be licensing production rights from the Mechanicus to any mid or high level tech; or going it on their own producing custom items through a connection to a noble house.
>>
>>52240028
RT Genestealers are Agility 60 (Unnatural +6) with Step-Aside, and stealth bonuses. You'll get, at most, two turns to shoot at them, and 1d10+7 Pen 7 Tearing with Lightning Attack means they'll shred a PC per turn once CC starts.

>There's quite a lot of stuff in fluff with, for instance, Imperial Guard holding off Genestealers in a sewer of all places, albeit with the help of a few fire warriors.
There's quite a lot of fluff instances of Guardsmen and Fire Warriors working together to hunt Genestealers?
>>
>>52240620
Genestealers against experienced, well-armed opponents. But the first example that came to mind for me was some imperial guard who had some fire warriors down there with them.
>>
How do i start worhshiping chaos ?
And especially Khorne.
>>
>>52241758
Step One: Find a worthy opponent
Step Two: Sacrifice his blood and skull in the name of the Skull Throne
Step Three: Release a Bloodletter from being trapped within a shield
Step Four: Hot Khornette Snu snu
Step Five: ???
Step Six: Drinks with Kharn
>>
>>52243295
That Kharn fella sure is a swell guy.
>>
I need some ideas for some spooky shit for 2He players. Kinda tired of
>see scary monster
>shit britches
Some stuff like Psychic phenomena, maybe hallucinogenic grenades. Things that could be fun without making fuck-all lethal.
>>
>>52239496
>Image unrelated.
Fuck that, we've found a major Nurglite NPC for your game, probably a hermit dedicated to Nurgle.
>>52239861
Purestrains pack a punch, so of course they're going to fuck up Devastators once the Marines can't bring their heavy weapons to bear in melee. Hybrids are another matter, though, and even Purestrains go down easily enough if you focus fire to get through their dodges. If they can get into close quarters they're a nightmare, but otherwise they're gonna get mowed down.
>>52239965
Fluff entries for some weapons in the Inquistor's Handbook for DH1e mention manufacturers licensing rights from the Mechanicus, as >>52240081 said.
>>52245130
Honestly, just random phenomena can be great, especially in tight spaces. When you players a dark tunnel full of stuff they don't fully understand, or when they're going down a corridor and the walls start bleeding, it tends to get to them.
Phantom wailing and footsteps can also help make people jumpy.
>>
>>52245384
>random phenomena...etc, etc
I like it. Thanks lad.
>>
File: 1457747409533.png (518KB, 512x783px) Image search: [Google]
1457747409533.png
518KB, 512x783px
>in the middle of a session right now
>burning down a jungle and setting eldar on fire
>entire group is screaming because everything is burning around them
>psyker ran away and doesn't want me to find him
>is afraid I'll set him on fire
>>
So I've got experience running DH and OW, but my players have asked about maybe doing RT. I generally run my games is pretty small areas/settings, so I feel like them having their own ship is sort of like just asking my players to come up with the most retarded plans they can and forcing me to make an encounter around it. At the same time, I feel like the ships and space combat really should be utilized regularly for RT to be anything other than just a high powered game of DH where the players all think they are the Inquisitor.

tl;dr Any tips or advice for a first time RT GM?
>>
>>52239965
IIRC, agriworlds are almost all in some form tied to food production companies contracted by the IoM to produce food.
>>
>>52247808
>so I feel like them having their own ship is sort of like just asking my players to come up with the most retarded plans they can and forcing me to make an encounter around it
Welcome to RT.
>>
So I'm thinking about doing any Only War game where my players are Gue'Vesa. I would do Regiment creation as usual to get their baseline stats and abilities, but then dump some extra XP on them to represent a time skip in which they fought and then were recruited by the Tau.

I know there is Tau stuff scattered over several books, but am unsure as to the best place to look for a bulk of information. Enemies Without and Enemies of the Imperium have a lot of stuff on Kroot and Tau weapons, but nothing else. Which books should I be looking at for info on actual Tau units and vehicles?
>>
Playing with a psyker in the group (dark heresy) is so cancerous.
>>
>>52184680
I... I want this...
>>
File: Barbus.png (695KB, 1200x440px) Image search: [Google]
Barbus.png
695KB, 1200x440px
>>52249183
There's a Rogue Trader book that had some weaksauce Tau rules, culminating in getting a battlesuit of your own. 1d4chan has an orphaned homebrew project that's mostly done and pretty usable called Mon'Tau from which you can mine equipment. Fear and Loathing on the Eastern Fringe also has xenos gear, I believe.
>>52249210
Depends on the group, the GM, and the campaign. I find them pretty fun, but they don't always fit.
>>
WHY DOES NO ONE WANT TO PLAY DEATHWATCH AND BE BADASS SPACE MARINE ACTION HEROES REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52249210
I'll bite. Why?
>>
>>52249510
They take twice as long for their turns, if not three times as long. Their abilities, while useful, end up taking a lot of fun out of the group seeing as they can wipe so many mobs off the grid in a single turn. It seems hard to actual roleplay one since they end up falling into the hole of "HA! HA! LOOK AT ALL THIS POWER I HAVE!" which either ends with really boring sessions or absolutely awful encounters with plaguebringers being spat out of the psyker's asshole.

All in all it's almost a guaranteed way to make someone a "main character" or at least that's how it's feeling.
>>
>>52249457
probably due to most games of it devolving into combat simulation game #2354 very quickly without a DM that knows the setting fairly well. Many players also find it hard to get inside the mindset of a marine unless they know the lore behind the particular chapter very well, which presents another barrier on top of point 1.

My own personal best experiences with Deathwatch have actually been mixing mortals + astartes, specifically a Deathwatch librarian and a rogue trader crew.
>>
>>52249183
You mean the traitors drawback?
>>
>>52249210
speaking of psykers, how does one play an astropath in Rogue Trader?
>>
>>52249457
Are you offering to GM?
>>
Which book has the rules for playable orks again?
>>
>>52249541
This reads like someone complaining that wizards are better than martials. If your psykers are taking that long in combat, it's a problem with the player. The same board-clearing issue could be applied to flamers and grenade spam. Bad RP is again a problem with the player.
>>
>>52249618
I was actually thinking of letting them play either for or against the Tau. The idea of the game being that they have not been Gue'Vesa that long, and might decide to try doing their own thing when Chaos forces attack. The idea being that Imperial forces might return once the Tau and Chaos forces have weakened each other. So they might play as Tau lackies just to get some better gear, or join Chaos becasue hey they are fucked anyway and they might as well at lease die fighting aliens, or they can go full Rambo and fight both sides while trying to build up a rebel force of Imperial sympathizers.
>>
>>52249689
>If your psykers are taking that long in combat, it's a problem with the player.
This has been a prominent problem with all the psykers I've been with. They all suffer this issue seeing as half the time is spent calculating thirty different things going off at once. A problem I've yet had to face with any other character.

>The same board-clearing issue could be applied to flamers and grenade spam.
Definitely not at the earlier levels. Especially when it comes down to things like hand flamers which can only shoot in a 30 degree arc.

>Bad RP is again a problem with the player.
And this has been a problem with all the psykers the group has had because it's rather difficult not to get lost in the sauce of being a rather op class.

Yeah, I am going to complain about this situation, regardless if it's the equivalent of "wizard vs martial" seeing as it can really take the fun out of a session when out of a group of like 5-6 people, 1 person is essentially doing everything combat wise and trying to superimpose their role as a psyker as being a source of authority.
>>
>>52249669
Rogue Trader + Into the Storm is everything you need to be onna da boyz
>>
>>52249669
>>52249957

Dark Heresy's Creatures Anathema also has some stuff like Snazzguns iirc
>>
>>52249883
5 to 6 people is already way too many. 3 to 4 were the intended amount.
>>
>>52250030
The 5-6 people are fine, the turns go by easily enough, and all is going well.

Then there is the psyker.

Every time.

To put it into perspective for you, the CURRENT psyker had one turn that lasted like, nearly twice the time it took all of us to do all of our turns.
>>
>>52247808
The scale of RT isn't for everyone. Beyond just having a ship, they have thousands of people under their command. A lot of the minutiae of what goes on with a team of acolytes can be done off-screen in RT by having the, I don't know, Seneschal's "little birds" go investigate something and then having some personally trained kill-team of Goliath gangers you picked up and trained as boarding-troops go purge an area. It's not really a linear progression of "high powered DH" unless that's specifically what you're aiming for in a swash-buckling sense.

Ship stuff and space combat is cool and some groups may really want to focus on that - but keep in mind that warp jumps are dangerous and it's not at all unheard of to do an entire story arc on a planet while your ship just hangs out in orbit and you use your gunship to get around (or use your PF to buy some sorta Adeptus Arbites Supressor for shits and giggles, I don't know.)

Ultimately yeah, it can be players coming up with some stupid ass plan to do with a ship - but keep in mind to that the game takes a lot of nods to Rogue Trader Dynasties and you can always just string it out that the players aren't the direct owners of the writ, but family members who may have to own up to the Patriarch or Matriarch of the Dynasty who can operate in an Inquisitor-like role of tasking them with things to accomplish for the greater benefit of the Dynasty as a whole.

Fuck up too much and they're gonna give the Lord-Captain title of that ship you're on to your asshole cousin and relegate you to "over-seeing" a shit-mining operation on an ice moon that sees a supply ship once a decade.

It can be a lot bigger than just the party, as being on ship has them surrounded with literally thousand of NPCs. I ran a campaign once and maybe a third of the sessions were spent just having adventures on the ship itself and politicking with the various crew factions.
>>
>>52250127
^ (In that instance there were a pair of families that had been living in and operating the dorsal and ventral lance turrets for like ten generations having a sort of Hatfield Vs McCoy hillbilly feud going on when the players inherited the ship.)
>>
>>52250148
While that sounds amazing and like something I myself would love to play, most of the players are the "shoot first, loot the bodies and don't even bother with the questions" sort. That's kind of why I'm hesitant to put the effort into learning RT and crafting a story when I know they are just going to want to get their hands on the biggest and best guns they can and then go start shit with aliens to get even BETTER guns.

The last time I tried to throw them a curveball and make them try and plan something more than an ambush, they ended up kidnapping a man in broad daylight on a crowded street in an attempt to skip all that pesky showing and information gathering bullshit, tortured the fuck out of him and then murdered him after it was discovered that he didn't actually know anything and then getting into a shootout with the local Arbites when they came to investigate the kidnapping. One of my players thought that he could literally play as Judge Dredd as a former Arbites working for the Inquisition and was annoyed when the authorities got pissed for him kicking in doors and shooting people after simply declaring who he worked for. All this after I EXPLICITLY told them that they were on a stealth op and that their Inquisitor DID NOT want people to know who they were working for.

So yea, maybe I should not do RT for them.
>>
>>52250493
It doesn't sound like a good fit for your group - unless perhaps you want to use the Hostile Acquisitions supplement and have them play as actual pirates where that sorta behaviour can be par for the course. In that I'd just be sure to stress that, well, it's a pirate ship - and that they have a crew that also wants a cut and is constantly following them around on boarding missions or down to the planet and possibly constantly fucking up a'la those two guys in Pirates of the Carribbean. (Oh, what's that? Sorry a bunch of your crewmen just started a fistfight in the brothel you happen to be walking by and your first mate just came flying through a ceram-steel window because he picked a fight with the local mobsters who happen to run this "off the grid" space-station. Maybe you should take some time with your PF to get them better equipment or training so they win those fights or don't start them in the first place.)

But to be perfectly honest if you're players are just going to want to play a bunch of renegades and lunatics, there's a game for that, it's called Black Crusade. And in that you can always just have angry daemons fuck with them if they're getting out of line. BC tends to be a game that reeeeaaaallly attracts "that guy(s)" to it though and I only ever run in once a few years for people I know well/have played with for a long time and trust to not be a bunch of fucking cringe-worthy mouthbreathers*.

*We are posting about 40k RP on 4chan; pot, kettle.
>>
>>52250642
>if you're
Goddamit. Your.
>>
>>52249883
>They all suffer this issue seeing as half the time is spent calculating thirty different things going off at once. A problem I've yet had to face with any other character.
That's hardly exclusive to psykers. As an asshole who makes a lot of builds that take time to resolve their turns, bear in mind that you're not dealing with Whirlwind of Death forcing multiple targets to Evade before a melee attack lands, a Full Auto Burst distributing shots across multiple targets and prompting dodges from all before rolling damage for multiple hits against multiple targets, dual-wielding Toxic weapons that force Toughness tests for every hit that pierces soak, Deathwatch characters who take a Companion out of Rites of Battle and/or requisition support assets, a dude making 3+ attacks per round via shenanigans, or a semiautomatic Blast weapon rolling for scatter distance and direction on every single missed hit before resolving dodges and damage.
>Definitely not at the earlier levels.
Depends on how your GM lays things out. A hand flamer's "mere" 30° arc can win entire encounters with one spray by breaking enemy morale; there was a newbie in here recently commenting that their flamer had made them effective even with missing in melee.
>this has been a problem with all the psykers the group has had
So it's been the same group the whole time?
Have none of them considered focusing on non-combat powers and a support role? Has no one else considered making a combat-focused character who can compete? Remember, a psyker is buying every power they take; they're going to fall behind on basic combat stuff like Dodge if they're dumping everything into psy.
>>
>>52251051
>Companion out of Rites of Battle
First Founding, whoops
>>
>>52251051
>Have none of them considered focusing on non-combat powers and a support role?
Myself, actually, as the first psyker of the group.

It was quite fun as I made my character with both support and rp in mind.

Then I hit perils.
>>
>>52249457
Because lots of people think it's a neverending grind of boring, easily won combats, with minimal RP. >>52249570
>Many players also find it hard to get inside the mindset of a marine unless they know the lore behind the particular chapter very well
>>
>>52249570
FUCk THAT I WANT 80's/90's METAL ACTION HEROES. FUCK THAT SHIT GET SILLY WITH IT.
>>
File: corgissar.jpg (99KB, 511x486px) Image search: [Google]
corgissar.jpg
99KB, 511x486px
What RT rulebooks do I need for the full suite of chargen options?
>>
Starting an Only War game (group want to do the ol' Only War into Dark Heresy thing) and their regiment is being deployed to a planet overrun by Orks. Any suggestions on missions I could give them?
>>
>>52252148
Congratulations, you have an idea for a game, now you just need players and a medium.
>>
>>52252559
What sort of regiment is it?
>>
>>52254059
Mechanized, themed around being crack shots that leap out of their chimeras to bring perfectly aimed lasfire down onto the enemy in quick, surgical strike operations.
>>
>>52254105
Holding or reinforcing a line until bigger guns can get onto the scene.

Priority target hunting.

Covering a retreat.
>>
>>52254145
Nice.I was thinking their "welcome to the front, soldiers" would be something like a mission to reclaim a comms relay or take out anti air weapons or something, but these work too.
>>
>>52252225
Also, why is the character sheet in the OP repository not fillable?
>>
>>52210763
Testify. I had a shit experience playing Rogue Trader with randoms.

I was playing the Rogue Trader, and wanted to go with wealth, fame, and fortune. Plunder the stars in the name of profit and the God-Emperor. Others - and the GM - wanted to treat the game like it was Star Trek about peaceful exploration and talking to xenos. Apparently, my solution to alien contact being "enslave and purge" was abhorrent to their delicate 21st century sensibilities.

It ended up with a mutiny against the Warrant and the dynasty (and the crew magically siding with them). That's when I left.

What a shitshow.
>>
>>52254664
What part of "In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war" dont they get?
>>
>>52254664
Those niggas need to read the goddamn rulebook, fluff and all. I had a rando join a session of OW and was shocked at how many NPCs got offed and didn't understand why charging an entrenched position got his character killed. He never came back.
>>
>>52254789
GMs do run games tailored to them.
>>
How do you guys handle Artificer Armour in Deathwatch? RAW it's considered a distinct armour pattern from MkII-VIII, with two histories, AP12 all, and an inbuilt MIU, but that was before Rites of Battle added suits other than MkVII, and with Armour Histories being so good there's little reason for most characters to take it if they have an older suit with more Histories to begin with.

Personally, I like to make it a straight upgrade to the suit it was constructed from, with +1 history, the MIU, and armour on all locations equal to the base suit's breastplate plus one, so Aquila goes from 8/11 to 12 all. I also have it retain inbuilt bonuses like Corvus' +10 Ag or Maximus' Fellowship bonus.
On the downside, that means some armours come out objectively better in every respect - Maximus loses its downside of weaker limbs in exchange for a whopping three histories, Heresy continues to suck, Corvus is fine (aside from +10 Ag being better than anything else for boosting survivability, thanks to Dodge), artificed Aquila matches the core book's artificer plate, and Errant becomes the tankiest at AP13 all, retaining the gorget to help deflect critical damage away from the head.
>>
>>52257729
>Errant becomes the tankiest at AP13 all, retaining the gorget to help deflect critical damage away from the head.
Errant is the best though, it's canonically the tankiest, most efficient, and has the most advanced targeting systems.

I'll get a picture of the 7e Datacard in a second.
>>
File: 20170319_145346.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_145346.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52257840
>>
>>52257729
Er, +2 AP for consistency with Core. My mistake, got in a hurry to post something once we hit Page Ten.
So the end result there, starting with MkIV since Crusade and Iron cannot be rolled for in Core (though I suppose this issue is also relevant to Age of Darkness games)
Maximus: AP11 all, 4 histories, +15 Fellowship with Astartes
Heresy: AP11 all, 3 histories, +10 Fellowship with Astartes, -10 on Interaction tests with agents of the Inquisiton
Corvus: AP11 all, 3 histories, +10 Ag
Aquila: AP12 all, 2 histories
Errant: AP13 all, 2 histories, 30% chance of deflecting headshots into the torso, +5 Command
>>
File: Power Armour Marks.png (429KB, 499x734px) Image search: [Google]
Power Armour Marks.png
429KB, 499x734px
>>52257840
Aye, that's why I'm not too worried about it. It does leave Aquila kind of shit by comparison, but Errant is hard to roll for, and Aquila still has an armour advantage over everything else, even if they come with bonuses and Histories to enhance functionality over survivability.
>>
What would it take for a rogue trader to acquire his own thunderhawk? My players are tried in traveling on relatively fragile shuttles or arvus lighters and want something that can clear a landing zone easily. I was thinking that my players could petition in the lathes or salvage one from the hangars of an old hulk.
>>
>>52258061
>>52257898
Makes you wonder how FFG would have done Errant armor if they had done it after that codex came out, or if they would have even acknowledged the Limited Edition's Armor datacards at all.
>>
>>52258102
A lot of money probably. Technically, by the Emperor's decree, only Space Marines are allowed to have Land Raiders, but that same fluff says that Inquisitors and "exceptionally influential" Rogue Traders manage to get their hands on them anyway (also noting that these eventually tend to be above laws in many ways anyway).
>>
Why not just get a gunship? As in a Valkyrie or, if one isn't statted up already, stat a gun cutter.
>>
>>52258170
Yeah, but even the money route seems hard. I can't see the Inquisition or a space marine chapter giving up a thunderhawk for thrones. I want them acquiring it to be more than just a throw money at it until it works sort of situation.
>>52258518
They considered valkyries, but they'd like to have something capable of interplanetary flight along with a large amount of weapons and enough space for a bunch of armsmen. I over-ruled the Stormhawk since it wasn't widely accepted yet and the Stormbird which is just implausible. They were using gun cutters, but they figure a flying tank would be safer and something to show off in.
>>
>>52258102
Salvage seems easiest to attempt, but if a Forge or an unusually generous Chapter ends up in their debt or desperate for their help then they can leverage that.
>>52258624
>interplanetary flight
Good luck with that one. Flying between a planet and its satellite I could see, but interplanetary flight is gonna take months without a Warp drive.
>>
>>52258665
Salvage or a forge does seem the best route. I'll probably have it be some derelict wreck on some forgotten world that leads to further shenanigans with the Inquisition.

Yeah, I probably should have rephrased the interplanetary flight. They want a way to get from their cruiser to the ground in one piece and also be able to use as a strike craft.
>>
>>52258624
>I can't see the Inquisition or a space marine chapter giving up a thunderhawk for thrones.
They won't. That's why you get in good with the Admech and give them thrones.
>>
>>52257729
>MK4 art always has the chestplates clear
>The plastic MK4 has the chest straps similar to MK5
ahhhh
>>
>>52258624
>I can't see the Inquisition or a space marine chapter giving up a thunderhawk for thrones
Inquisiton MIGHT - Thrones are a means to an end. Rogue Traders are uniquely able to get hold of some goodies that're pretty hard to come by, though, so favors or rare technologies, perhaps even xenotech, would get them farther.
>>52258747
>They want a way to get from their cruiser to the ground in one piece and also be able to use as a strike craft.
A Thunderhawk seems ideal then, aside from being Astartes-exclusive. They may need to retrofit it with better shock absorption and such, since Astartes are designed to use Drop Pods without disorientation or going splat, but without power armour on the occupants that shouldn't be too hard, and if they're restoring a wreck anyway...
>>
File: $_57.jpg (198KB, 1600x1194px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
198KB, 1600x1194px
>>52260915
>>52258624
The more I think about it, the more an Inquisitor selling off a Thunderhawk for untraceable funds makes sense; can't always go flashing the rosette and demanding things when you're trying to fly under the radar, and if they're in a hurry to follow up a lead they might not have time to scrape some gelt together. On top of that... knowing some Inquisitors and Magi, it's entirely possible they need to move a vehicle in a hurry before the original owners come looking for it.
>>
>>52258665
Inteprlanetary flight times (read as: in-system) are in one of the RT books. It's not that big a deal: they have anti-gravity, inertial dampening, and huge ass fucking engines on ships.

There's also that Oath Bonded To The Angels of Death talent in Ascension that could arguably used to get your hands on some SM stuff - I let an RT have it once for (unbeknownst to him) assisting the Dark Angels in tracking down some Fallen.
>>
File: Thunderhawk05.png (1MB, 963x747px) Image search: [Google]
Thunderhawk05.png
1MB, 963x747px
>>52264075
>It's not that big a deal: they have anti-gravity, inertial dampening, and huge ass fucking engines on ships.
In voidships, certainly. A Thunderhawk is made as a dropship for carrying troops from proper voidships in orbit down to the planetary surface and providing heavy fire support.
>>
>>52264235
Look at that thing. There's no way it doesn't at least have anti-grav
>>
>>52264235
Oh the discussion was about Thunderhawks specifically? That's my bad. I was under the impression Thunderhawks used promethium fuel and thus couldn't do any sort of interplanetary stuff (beyond nearby moons) because they just couldn't stock that much fuel (nor do they have long range accomodations like bathrooms and shit*). At least that's how I always ran them in DW for my players.

*Yes I know SM armor recycles waste and they could theoretically do a really long deep-void drift with the engines off and all the marines going into that weird stasis-thing they can do, but that's a pretty extreme example I'd compare to that shit they did in WW2 with the one-way bombers the US sent to Japan.
>>
>>52258747
>They want a way to get from their cruiser to the ground in one piece and also be able to use as a strike craft.

I should add that this type of craft is called a Guncutter in the FFG RT books, and they talk about them and have them statted out as it's a really common thing that RTs are expected to own. I've always just told them the amount of guns it could have, the engine sizes, and let my players go wild with the actual layout of the thing.
>>
ALRIGHT FUCKERS WHO HERE WANTS TO PLAY BADASS 80's/90's ACTION HER DEATHWATCH.

>DO SICK STUNTS
>KILL FUCKING XENOS
>SERVE THE EMPEROR IN THE RADDEST, BADDEST WAYS POSSIBLE

WE'RE GETTING FUCKING METAL
>>
>>52266982
Ok but I want to be that space marine from the original Rogue Trader art that painted over his armor. I can't find the art but you know the one I'm talking about, he's got a ganger up against the wall and painted a fucking smiley face over his chapter markings on his shoulder pad.
>>
File: Field_Police.jpg (118KB, 684x449px) Image search: [Google]
Field_Police.jpg
118KB, 684x449px
>>52267193
I found it but fuck, he isn't the one with the smiley-face. I'm getting all the old art mixed up in my head.
>>
>>52266982
DEPENDS ON WHAT TIME, DUDE
I'M TOTALLY READY TO KICK SOME XENOS ASS
(seriously, I love Deathwatch shenanigans but my schedule is tight right now)
>>
>>52254157
>reclaim a comms relay
You might want to stick with that, honestly. It might present some "information you are not allowed to know," that precedes their integration to the Inquisition. It's entirely likely that they meet an actual competent Inquisitor who recognizes their own competence and decides not to waste it by just making them work for him and giving them the clearance level necessary for their information; and new mission.
>>
>>52266982
FUCK THAT NOISE

RUN BLACK CRUSADE

BE >METAL AND >BRUTAL

LOYAL ONLY TO THE SQUAD, FUCK ANYONE ELSE'S SENPAI
>>
>>52267498
Eh, I'd save that for a later mission so they can get a little OW in before the shift. Might be fun to foreshadow it too, maybe with something as blatant as achieving victory at one point but seeing enemy forces overrunning the comms relay or anti-air emplacement from across the trenches. Lends a nice sense of continuity.
>>
>>52267525
I LIKE THE WAY THIS HERETIC THINKS.

Also >>52267439. Time & Timezone.
>>
>>52267940
>TUESDAYS
>AFTERNOON/EVENING EDT
>ROLL 20 OR DISCORD W/ VOICE
>>
File: 1467609659215.png (1MB, 4200x2800px) Image search: [Google]
1467609659215.png
1MB, 4200x2800px
>>52267525
I must have been hanging out with my writefag too much, because this is making me picture a Chaos Marine screaming, "FUCK THE CORPSE-EMPEROR" and a Sororitas squad going full Yandere to hunt his ass across the galaxy because they misinterpreted his meaning.
>>52268312
I AM TEMPTED, BATTUL BROTHA
HAVE YOU A DISCORD I MAY VOX?
>>
>>52268421
https://discord.gg/JSQZ3X6
>>
Gonna need some fresh bread pretty soon, we're on Page 8
>>
>>52267597
Yeah I was thinking they'd get the relay back, and then later on in the war, realize that the enemy have reclaimed it from the forces they left behind.
>>
>>52268442
ANYONE ELSE UP FOR BRUTAL BLACK CRUSADE
>>
Is the heavy bolter Devastator's strongest weapon or is it just me ? The thing feels almost broken after a few games where I used it.
>>
>>52269555
Use the errata and BC autofire fix
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.