[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 27

File: board games2.jpg (563KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
board games2.jpg
563KB, 850x850px
Board Game General - Big Games Edition

Previous thread:
>>52113908

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What are your favorite games that have a playing time of 90+ minutes?

What have you played recently?

Which 2017 releases are you excited for?
>>
First for people have different tastes and that's ok.
>>
>>52159600
> What are your favorite games that have a playing time of 90+ minutes?

StarCraft: The Board Game
Dominant Species
Through the Ages

> What have you played recently?
Been playing a lot of Through the Ages online and mostly I'm getting my shit pushed in.

Also played Mansions of Madnes last week

> Which 2017 releases are you excited for?

None really. I bought War of the Ring and expansions to Last Night on Earth and I don't plan to buy any other board game this year.

I planned to maybe buy Arkham Horror: LCG but seeing some of the opinions here and the cash-grabbing nature of LCGs I think I'll pass.

I'll think of getting 2017 games in 2019.
>>
>>52159636
Preach it.

>>52159600
>What are your favorite games that have a playing time of 90+ minutes?
Rex, TI3, Kemet if it goes a little long, big HoN scenarios, New Angeles is pretty satisfying so far but needs more plays.

>What have you played recently?
Crossing, Kenjin, Santorini, Arsenal, Sheriff, Deception, Secret Hitler in the last week or so, but nothing meaty. I hunger.

>Which 2017 releases are you excited for?
Not a ton so far. Expansions for stuff I already like, a couple KS games that I'm hoping hold up.
>Giga Robo
>Tortuga 1667
>2R1B Expansion
>>
Recently been playing lots of Tak. Finally, an abstract I can see myself actually learning strategies to. All the others were either too light or too poorly designed/ancient. Arimaa almost did it for me, but it's too much of a game about tanking - aggressive strategies never work. Here, at least aggressive strategies let you Flat Win if you time them right.

I'm actually really looking forward to The Fox in the Forest, it looks like my jam. I hope it's released soon.
>>
>>52159779
The Doors of Stone are never going to be finished, aren't they?
>>
File: rising sun.jpg (127KB, 1024x806px) Image search: [Google]
rising sun.jpg
127KB, 1024x806px
>really tempted to back pic related
>watch video of complete playthrough they uploaded today
>super intricate, awesome looking minis
>watch to find out what big minis even do in the game
>powerful dragon's ability is simply "has force of 5"
>normal units have a force of 1
>other monster minis aren't that flashy either

Man, I expected the monsters in the game to be like the ones in Mythic Battles. All with their own stats and powers and all that. In the end they are really, really simple. Like units from Risk or something. It doesn't feel right. The game itself seems cool but paying so much for minis that aren't really all that awesome feels wrong. Like putting a Ford Fiesta engine in a Ferrari body. It finally hit me what the term plastic pusher means. There is no reason for those monsters to be those huge, detailed minis. Well, it's a reason for many to back the game I suppose.
Kinda disappointed now. I was planning on backing it but that video soured everything. I only see it as a cheap facade without a proper foundation now.
>>
>>52160517
Welcome to every plastics pusher ever.
>>
>>52160517
you sound like you would prefer to play a wargame or something.
Guild ball I would suggest.
>>
>>52159600

- Chaos in the Old World
- Bloodbowl

- Castles of Burgundy
- 7 Wonders
- Sushi Go Party

There are so many existing games I want to try that I'm not fussed with what is about to be released.
>>
>>52160658
I already backed Mythic Battles. Not sure if it counts as a wargame. I asked in the wargame general and they said yes.
>>
>>52160790
it was only a suggestion. I quite like GB, that's why I suggested it.
shame about all these new fancy Kikestarter games that only rely on beautiful minis all while the gameplay is as deep as a duck pond.
>>
Shadows of Brimstone, Shogun (the Wallenstein one),
Dungeon Saga (Its pretty fun, not too excited about the "risk" combat dice resolution but overall provides that nice "heroquest feel" that I find missing in games like Descent 2.0
Unusual Suspectq (it's so light it's barely a game, but I gotta admit it's really fun. Made my lefty friends uncomfortable but they still loved it)
Ninja Nice (Eh, if I'm going to play a super light dice game, I think I'll stick to Zombie Dice)
Big book of Madness (I read incredibly mixed reviews on this one and I found it surprisingly fun. It might get old fast though)
I'm so fucking out of the loop right now.I guess I'll check out the gama videos.
Let's just say I'm excited for all the kickstarters I backed last year (went a little crazy on the old crowdfunding front) : The Walking Dead : No Sanctuary; Evil Dead 2 ; Assault on the Citadel ; GhostBusters II and the rest of my Shadows of Brimstone mine cart.
>>
Oh btw, happy to finally have the proper final version of the cards. And plasticized too. They feel big and aren't easy to shuffle but I wanted them to feel like more than just cards.
Potato picture but I don't have anything else right now.
>>
>>52161711
>>
Ankh Morpork
>>Lost Legacy
It was okay... nobody wanted to play a second round.
>>Blood Rage/Steam Works
I was the new player for both, and I got my ass handed to me. I imagine I fucked up a lot, but when Round 3 in Blood Rage everyone was going "You can totally make a comeback!" and I only advanced that round because I got one of those upgrades where you get a dozen points if your boats are destroyed.
>>Thunderbirds
I like it more than regular Pandemic.
Nothing, really.
>>
>>52160517
>It finally hit me what the term plastic pusher means. There is no reason for those monsters to be those huge, detailed minis.
There's no reason for them to be huge, detailed PVC minis.
Honestly, what elevates KD:M from trash to niche is that it uses HIPS.
>>
>>52159636
what are you, some kind of beatnik hippie? get out but nah I totally agree with you

>>52159600
>favourite 90+ minute games
Duel of Ages II
Cave Evil: Warcults
Argent: The Consortium

then again they're pretty much my top 3 games anyway, I love medium/heavy games

>recent plays
had a long weekend due to a public holiday on Monday so I actually got a lot of board game action in. I played Brass Empire, two games of Ferox, Neuroshima Hex, Survive: Escape from Atlantis and four games of BattleCON. good times!

>2017 releases
I backed Dungeon Degenerates and the new Exodus expansion, I have an interest in Sword and Sorcery and BattleCON: Trials of Indines. would love to see reprints of Space Empires: 4X and Talon actually happen
>>
>>52159600
>fav 90min+ games
Forbidden Stars
Eldritch Horror
Chaos in the Old World
Archipelago

>played recently
Civilization & Welcome to the Dungeon

>2017 releases
None really, I have no idea what's coming out this year.
>>
>>52159600
OP you gotta get a new picture, there's over a dozen /bgg/ images on the archive, branch out a bit.

>>52159779
It turned out a lot better than I expected from Cheapass Games, but I'd like a set made by someone other than Wyrmwood so it was affordable, no time recently to carve my own.

>>52159927
Prolly a better chance than George Martin finishing his epic, but only because Rothfuss isn't likely to drop dead any moment. Just go to ANY con in North America this summer, chances are Pat'll be there and you can kick him in the balls.

>>52161783
Looks great anon, glad to see your set's turning out well
>>
File: pic3189350.jpg (2MB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pic3189350.jpg
2MB, 1600x1600px
>>52159600
This fundamentally perfect game. We just got it and finished playing. I don't think I could improve a single aspect of this game. I really thought it was going to be fun but ultimately flawed in some way, but no.

The first thing that was apparent is that the component quality was batshit terrible. The cards are flimsy and make your head physically hurt to touch. There's something just "wrong" about them and they take damage instantly. After sleeving them in premium Mayday fitted sleeves, we never had another problem but the poor quality persists to the gates (cut some Maydays to square size) and the organizer tabs, which we can't do anything to fix. Oddly, the player and nemesis boards were nice. The dials look tacky to start but turned out to be rather workable. The player sheets look dull at first but you just get used to it and barely notice after play starts. Some of the crystal art is re-used with minor photoshop touchups. Other than those component problems, the gameplay was F L A W L E S S.

Let me repeat that because it bears repeating: FLAWLESS. Imagine Dominion but no randomization to your deck. Imagine it's co-op now and Dark Ages expansion is aimed at killing a big bad boss a la Arkham games. A permanent market deckbuilder but you never shuffle and it has really cool casting mechanics. Each boss feels entirely different rules-wise. The variable player powers are very strong. The only two random elements are fun instead of shitty:
>3 tiers of Nemesis cards are randomized. Sometimes a separate Nemesis special deck, which is randomized. The 3 tiers "stack" together, meaning only each tier is random with itself.
>Turn order of players+nemesis is randomized every round, to keep you guessing.

Randomization is only ever used when adds fun or tension. Everything else is hardcore teamwork, good deckbuilding action, and depth. How the fuck is this game only $33?! GET ALL EXPANSIONS
>>
>>52164775
Damn. How long is the game?
>>
>>52159600

Agricola, Cutthroat Caverns, Dominion (w/setup and all expansions)

Some newer games I've picked up.
Seafall (I love legacy but holy shit the downtime)
Fabled Fruit (Friedemann Friese is great at these small concept games)
Arkham Horror LCG (Absolutely love it except for the one person who keeps building suboptimal decks)

Waiting patiently for my copy of Campaign Trail. It's definitely the last game I've ever KS. Original release date was supposed to be before the election last year, now it's projected to be fall of this year. :\

Otherwise every game seems to be just more of the same. I keep trying to get cool unique games to the table only to realize some are complete retreads of the same mechanics. I am looking forward to some upcoming legacy games, but only because they add another layer on top of the same old thing. Werewolf Legacy seems like an awesome concept, at least.
>>
>>52164775
Tom's review made me kinda want this, but knowing what I do about Travis and the few interactions I've had with him at Gencon have me hoping some other publisher will get it for the 2nd print run.
>>
>>52162814
>Cave Evil: Warcults

How is this? It looks pretty wargamey, which isn't really my thing, but I love the theme. The original's theme was even better but I don't think I'm ever going to find a copy for anything I'd be willing to pay.

> public holiday
Pretty sure I live where you live. Unless it's NZ, since apparently they had a public holiday monday too.
>>
>>52164945
I have no idea who that person is and don't give a shit. Buy this game. It's $33 and immaculate. Pick up the following and don't even open the box until you have them:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/mdg7077.html

318 cards from base = 7 sets = $11.20
74 cards from The Depths = +1 set = $12.80 total

You can use the same sleeves for the square breach "cards" and just trim the excess.
>>
>>52165136
It's the owner of Indie Boards & Cards, guy is a douchenozzle of the highest caliber; either way my gaming budget is so small I'm gonna have to playtest before I buy but very nice writeup anon.
>>
>>52165025
it's a thematic wargame masterpiece, no plastic pusher will ever come close to the sheer immersion that it provides, and the best thing about it is that it encourages a flexible ruleset for a complexity that you feel comfortable with, and it also includes rules for mixing its ruleset with the original Cave Evil ruleset. the 92-page rulebook is actually very easy to digest, there's barely any typos and there's very little in rules confusion. it is very clearly an example of a labour of love

the original game is a blast as well, a very 4X-ish experience (though expanding is only limited to increasing your army) that becomes even more insane when the ridiculously OP NPC (which is randomised between five different monsters) enters play and fucks shit up

I live in Melbourne
>>
>>52165304
Find someone to just 2-player it up with on TTS. Heck, even 3 players works since it has an absolutely ingenious way of making 3 player turns with 2 Nemesis turns per round work. With the use of a "Wild" player turn where players get to choose who takes that extra turn. Fucking brilliant.

>>52165328
>it's a thematic wargame masterpiece
I have to know more. Wargaming is my favorite genre. I just get turned off by historical war themes.
>>
>>52165385
unfortunately I'm at work and I'm about to finish my break, but the designer has a series of tutorial videos online and the complete rulebook is available, everything can be seen at their website (page design is a bit eye-gouging)

https://store.cave-evil.com/collections/board-games/products/cave-evil-warcults
>>
>>52165479
Metal as FUCK
>>
>>52161783
I love it, looks fantastic!
>>
Maybe related

where the fuck do you play risk online?
>>
>>52166482
http://www.pogo.com/games/risk
>>
>>52165328

Hey fellow Melbournian!

I'd be keen to try Cave Evil: Warcults if you're in the Eastern Suburbs. Do you know House of War, in Ringwood?
>>
>>52164775
>>52165136

Can you compare it to Sentinels of the Multiverse?
>>
Bump!

Looking for anyone who has played Empires at Sea. Any opinions would be appreciated!
>>
>>52160517
This will be the next Scythe. Hyped beyond reason but ultimately a letdown.
>>
Anybody tried Epic Card Game? I'm wondering if it feels like MtG, but a bit smaller and without the whole boosters thing.
>>
>>52168283
Funny, I thought it'd be the next blood rage for the same reasons.
>>
>>52168607
Nah, it'll be the next Monopoly.
>>
>>52168607
i hated blood rage but isn't it generally considered great? its like 15 on bgg
>>
>>52168747
Opinion is all over the place on BR.
>>
File: village attacks.png (358KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
village attacks.png
358KB, 680x453px
Thoughts on this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimlordgames/village-attacks
>>
>>52168788
>only like one thing ks exclusive and it's kinda dumb
I hate this game but I won't hate you for backing it.
>>
>>52168829
Why do you hate it? Seems like a fun coop game.
>>
>>52168788
every time someone posts this i look it up and immediately close out the tab because it looks so fucking ugly
>>
>>52168886
>you know what would be cool
>mansions of madness
>but let's make the monsters weaker instead of making them represent a constant pressing existential threat
>and lets make the monster spawn procedure simpler
>and dumb the whole game down to tower defense
>and steal mythic battles' level-up system
Just buy MoM.
>>
>>52168913
1ed or 2ed?
>>
>>52168913
Making things simpler or "dumbing them down" is often streamlining which is good.
>>
>>52168945
2nd, the keeper role is just a huge fucking hassle and almost everyone I've talked to hates it (the role, not 2nd ed, which, as I'm having implied, does not contain that role).
>>
>>52168956
MoM was simple. You race around the map trying to solve the plot as you make decisions about who to act as screeners, who to solve puzzles, and who to play support based on stats and balancing immediate goals with the ultimate goal (or what you believe it to be).
This goes beyond simple. Everyone plays combat, and you spend the whole game killing shit. It's like Mechs vs. Minions if it didn't have the frankly brilliant drafting and programming mechanical framework.
I mean, I hated MvM, but damn that engine is sexy.
>>
>>52168997
I've never seen someone try so hard to make a lame game sound cool. Spend money on that thing if you want, but if the fact that they were stupid and lazy enough to call it "Village Attacks" should be a huge red flag
>>
>>52168956
GTFO
>>
>>52169014
>I've never seen someone try so hard to make a lame game sound cool.
I hate all three games, I just think that MoM is Village Attacks without the lobotomy and MvM has a great mechanical interaction that I'd like to see in a good game.
>>
>>52169039
yep, i misunderstood your post
>>
So what's the problem with the Conan boardgame?
>>
>>52169781
2/3 of it is KS exclusive.
>>
>>52169806
I'm so glad that I kickstarted that thing.
>>
>>52169781
>>52169806
>>52169844
Someone brought their copy into the shop.
Fucking thing comes in two boxes and weighs half what I do.
Nice set of miniatures though.
I don't think anyone's actually gotten around to playing it at the store yet though.
>>
>>52167353
Sorry, never played it. I couldn't get over the cheesy comic book graphics.

>>52168488
"Feels" like MtG is accurate. Plays like? Nope. There are some subtle changes that just make it a strictly better game, not that it's hard to top something that came out over 25 years ago. It facilitates draft excellently and the constructed is pretty fun. A word to the wise from someone who runs an Epic strategy blog:

>Constructed has a "You win the game" card that the community is basically fighting about right now because admitting it's as completely broken as it is would basically kill constructed until it dies mortally. Inquisitor Kark is what to watch out for. Stalls the game with lifegain, which is faster than any aggro/burn, and then wins pretty easily, while having access to control cards.

>Once you realize Epic is the best CCG-like there is, there's no going back and you might realize there's no going forward either. After 2 years of playing, I now find random constructed decks to be incredibly sacky considering I dedicated 16 years of my life to competitive CCGs and the better part of a college-like education in statistics and Game Theory. YMMV, but for my effort, CCGs never developed past design of the 90s and will seem dated compared to the 2010s.

The game is cheap, so you lose practically nothing just buying a single copy for draft. I highly recommend getting a full constructed playset (3xbase, 3xall tyrants, 3xall uprising). If not, buy the digital version coming out.
>>
>>52169900
It's a very nice Kickstarter kit. I would probably never have considered buying the retail version of the game. Although, straightening out all the warped plastic minis is a pain in the ass. But hey, it's a hobby.
>>
>>52170018
>I dedicated 16 years of my life to competitive CCGs and the better part of a college-like education in statistics and Game Theory. YMMV, but for my effort, CCGs never developed past design of the 90s and will seem dated compared to the 2010s.

Interesting. Ever consider writing your own book about your experiences and perspective?
>>
File: Team-Lift!.jpg (197KB, 616x469px) Image search: [Google]
Team-Lift!.jpg
197KB, 616x469px
>>52169900
> Q: Do you even lift bro?
> A: Of course, I board game!

Freaking 'OGRE' box weighs 28lbs and that's without the extra tiles from various sources.
>>
>>52170089
>Interesting. Ever consider writing your own book about your experiences and perspective?
Not really. I could only type that sentence without feeling incredibly arrogant because I knew my identity wasn't tied to it. I think a book about what I've experienced would make me feel bigheaded for even trying.

What I try to do it write articles that apply my knowledge (for the reader) in some specific circumstance.
>>
>>52170191
>Not really. I could only type that sentence without feeling incredibly arrogant because I knew my identity wasn't tied to it.

Fair enough. (Though as an interesting aside, some of the best stories {fact or fiction} aren't so much about what happens, but who it happens to.)

>What I try to do it write articles that apply my knowledge (for the reader) in some specific circumstance.

I can't imagine spending that kind of time working at a particular subject and NOT learning a thing or two. Your comments on CCGs and their lack of grown beyond a specific model struck me as interesting. If you do post articles what you observed I'd love to see a link.

Thanks.
>>
>>52170018
Been playing Magic for well over a decade and still love it very much. Is ECG really that much better in your eyes? In what ways is it different/better? I have trouble imagining it. How does the gameplay differ? Is combat different?
>>
>>52170123
Fucking lmao.

>>52170407
Name field just for this post. I wiped my old CCG articles and just kept Epic stuff. Plus my own homebrew game. I've learned a lot more in the past four years of writing than from lectures or gaming. Just that fact that I need to push the limits all the time, do thousands of tests, quantify everything, look for that next tiny margin of edge. It felt vindicating when I had two scientists showed up (separately) and told me my methods were correct. It's good to hear for someone who's fumbling blindly as an autodidact.
>>
>>52170473
Definitely. Firstly, there's the aspect of owning the entire collection for (right now $126-$151, depending on how optimally you shop) including tons of tokens.

This gives you the ability to draft, cube draft, and have a full constructed set, presumably for two players. Though I recommend a second set of base (+$30-45) for a second player, as there are some key cards there.

ECGs can fix many problems with CCGs such as set bloat. It takes a shitload of money to design, test, revise, test, finalize, and publish every card. That's ignoring having staff to direct, communicate with artists, and either paying large lump sums for every piece of art or agreeing to limited royalty contracts. All of this has to be done for every single card, and every single print run needs proofing (both pre-production and post for ink), sorting (rarity), packing, shipping etc. Every single card costs money and a lot of time to develop. Wasting that time and money on a 1/1 for R with a negative effect causes bloat. Players just rip open packs, check the rare, dump most of the rest, and go.

Draft players will find the bloat model easier (for first picks, and mind-numbingly awful for late picks), but drafting where every card is good works much better, as evidenced by Epic.

Bloat alone accounts for a lot of wasted money in R&D+Prod; the cost of which absolutely gets passed on to a customer.

That's not even to account for anything else, just one aspect. I could probably go on for hours about this subject.
>>
So I backed this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rising-sun/description

Tell me it wasn't a mistake /tg/
>>
>>52170840
Enjoy your action figures.
>>
>>52170840
I won't say anything
>>
can we just agree to stop posting every kickstarter under the sun
>>
File: 1407335705166.png (434KB, 412x493px) Image search: [Google]
1407335705166.png
434KB, 412x493px
>>52170840

>>
>>52170917

Under the Rising Sun?

YYYYEEEAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>52170840

Even if the naysayers are right you'll be able to sell it for cost, if not profit, due to the massive amount of Kickstarter exclusive content.
>>
File: entropy.png (569KB, 680x567px) Image search: [Google]
entropy.png
569KB, 680x567px
Kickstarter campaign ends in 5 days. Anyone here who knows this or played the old version?
>>
>>52170812
Have you done anything on accessibility for ECGs? The general consensus for something like Netrunner is that its harder for new players to join in vs Magic. Perhaps you have something that can improve that, or atleast shed some light as to why it's harder to jump into LCG/ECGs?
>>
>>52170840
I am this guy
>>52160517

Thought about backing it but then changed my mind because the full gameplay video made it seem kinda shallow.
>>
>>52170744
>I've learned a lot more in the past four years of writing than from lectures or gaming. Just that fact that I need to push the limits all the time, do thousands of tests, quantify everything, look for that next tiny margin of edge.

There's the old saw about 'Life is nothing without obsession'. I still think it would be interesting to read about someone who pursued gaming and ended up learning a lot of other things along the way. As for not having your identity tied up in a potential story - this is what pen names are for.

It felt vindicating when I had two scientists showed up (separately) and told me my methods were correct. It's good to hear for someone who's fumbling blindly as an autodidact.

I imagine so - I've been curious about taking some statistics courses just to learn how probability plays out in various board games. Thanks for the link
>>
>>52171412
I'm a bit saddened by this since I have the first version. I'll have to go through and see if the additions are worth it. Ultimately I suspect I won't be too saddened because they're very good at their price points.
>>
Thoughts on GKR: Heavy Hitters?
Another overproduced plastic pusher?
>>
>>52172263
>Another overproduced plastic pusher?
Yes. One of the worst offenders in that regard in a long time.
>>
>>52172263

>Another overproduced plastic pusher?

Maybe but i'm a real sucker for mech stuff. However at the same time I am also one that hates having KS exclusives locking regular people out of getting any access to said extra content.

The biggest appeal to me so far is how the mechs are almost just "scrapped together" or looking like industrial construction robots at times.
>>
>>52168488

>I'm wondering if it feels like MtG, but a bit smaller and without the whole boosters thing.

Considering the game was designed by a MTG Hall of Famer who runs a games company i'd say that's not too unusual.
>>
>>52172263
Might be salvageable, but out of the box the combat resolution is pretty bad. Rest is okay, but not great.
>>
>>52171435
>Have you done anything on accessibility for ECGs?
The general reason is that FFG is horrible for accessibility in all of their "living" games. Take X-Wing or Armadas for example. Or just any of their LCGs. This is a problem with FFG using the old tricks of bloat and poorly-made expansions to force people into buying lots of different product, like individual puzzle pieces. I remember counting something like 8 expansions required (plus 2 core sets) just to make one of the top Worlds winning Runner decks in Netrunner. That's pretty awful, since you're not even getting the whole game collection.

Games like Epic that trim the fat and offer a strong base set are great. Epic certainly has room for improvement on their pack expansion model. Many of their customers have expressed discontent at a 4-pack model driving up the manufacturing price (which they pass on to customers) for absolutely no gain to those customers. You will never buy only one pack, since they're structured in a way that forces you to get all four to collect a set of relevant cards. They know this, based on the fact that their own store offers them as a 4-pack "draft set" and 3 copy 4-pack "constructed set".

A "for designers" series of articles would be satisfying to write though.

>>52171796
Maybe. I just fear it coming off as "Sirlin-esque". The man's a genius no doubt, but also equally hated for being sure of himself. My writing style is heavily inspired from 2007-2012 Cracked fused into an Economics 103 lecture.
>>
Tell me /bgg/ as a big dinosaur, Agricola and kickstarters without TONS of plastic fan, will I enjoy this?

I am worried it is not as 'developed' as it looks. They seem to be changing the rules a fair amount as it goes on. Plus it's £100 when you factor in shipping.

But then again Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis was great...
>>
>>52173440
There's absolutely no reason to back *any* Kickstarter project at all considering how many classic games that already stood the test of time you haven't played yet.
>>
>>52173787
Not him, but I like plastic crap to paint. That's why I backed the Conan and Mythic Pantheon kickstarters.
>>
>>52173787
That is like saying don't buy any new books, music or games because you haven't played all the existing stuff.
>>
>>52173787
Fair enough. I would save much more money this way!

Any suggestions on what game I should play instead of this then?

Not including Ewe stuff as I already own them though!
>>
>>52174009
Let me know when you're done with that (and you happen to get say, 20 to life in prison) - I have 8 Gorillian Zombicide minis in need of painting...
>>
>>52174121
>>52174009

I can't even contemplate painting board game miniatures right now my wargaming backlog just sits in the corner judging me every day.
>>
>>52174056
Not the same thing. The time investment in learning a boardgame properly is much greater. I good boardgame you can play for decades and not get bored.

>>52174076
Dunno, what do you already have and what do you like?
>>
>>52174121
Hey, I'm not in a rush. It's not like the plastic will selfdestruct within my lifetime.

>>52174153
I just paint whatever I fancy at the time. If I just paint a little bit at the time I will eventually finish.
>>
Are there any lucha libre (or even pro wrestling more generally) themed board games that aren't lolrandumb comedy games where the wrestlers have names like Taco Paco and shit?
>>
>>52175055
GF9 did a WWE game that's pretty well recieved.
>>
>>52171412
I can't find this game, I give in, what's it called? It looks extremely promising.
>>
>issued a warning for calling people shills with the amount of kickstarter game posting
Fuck off, mods I wanna discuss some games that people have actually played.

Favourite card in Seasons? I like the little curse dude or whatever who you throw around to each other player
>>
https://cmon.com/news/cmon-limited-announces-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game-3f2b5240-6cf8-4ef5-ab1d-c58d8d23527a

All aboard the hype train.
>>
File: pic1768013.jpg (177KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
pic1768013.jpg
177KB, 960x720px
>>52175055
Luchador 2e is supposed to be a decent, but it is a dice chucker so your lolrandumb autism might not like it.
>>
>>52174153
>>52174261
I hope you both know - as it's a well established scientific fact - if a minis collector paints their last unpainted mini, then they're doom to croak some time in the near future. True story.
>>
>>52175430
>issued a warning for calling people shills
holy fuck thats asslicking retarded with how obvious these shills are becoming.

haven't played seasons, sorry

anyone here ever play theseus: the dark orbit? it just came in the mail and i can't wait to play tonight. wondering if anyone here has experience with it?
>>
>>52176328

Get mad autist.
>>
>>52176347

Whoops, meant to link to:

>>52175430

This guy. Sorry.
>>
>>52176365
why would you want people banned for calling out shills? do you want this board to just become a giant ad for kickstarter?
>>
File: BGM_logo.png (9KB, 165x85px) Image search: [Google]
BGM_logo.png
9KB, 165x85px
Anyone here who has any experience with this company?

Long story short, Im a long time Talisman fan and I own just about everything there is to this game. We play it regularly, but there is one thing that is bothering the hell out of me; why did they decide to make "the deep realms" a 2 cheep ass play card gaming board?
So I have decided to create a high quality board, with good dimensions to fit snug in between "the city" and "the dungeon" expansion.
If they deliver quality, If be interested enough to even create my own expansion between the forest and the highlands!
>>
>>52176287
Oh, I'm have nothing to worry about then. I still got 15 year old stuff that I need to paint.
>>
>>52176404
i know people here hate this but this would actually be a good question to ask on /r/tabletopgamedesign
>>
>>52176404
Not with them but I've had ok dealings with TheGameCrafter, heard their boxes aren't great but I've done punch sheets and folding boards in the past no problem.
>>
File: sad-007.jpg (72KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sad-007.jpg
72KB, 1024x768px
>>52176435

... people on /tg/´s board game general hates a board game maker company....

Guess thats a "nuff said" about /tg/
>>
>>52176721

Thanks, this was all I was looking for. I just wondered if it was worth spending money on to begin with.
>>
>>52176742
i meant they hate suggesting "plebbit" not that they hate the company dude
>>
>>52176759
Boards are generally pretty easy for these places to get right. All you're talking about is a couple pieces of chipboard, a decent print job on large sized paper (which you could farm out to kinkos or whatever) and then the back wrapping which is done in black vinyl or whatever. I priced it out for doing them on my own once via Hobby Lobby supplies and it came out to within a buck or two of having someone else make it. Saved me a headache of figuring out how to work it with 8x8 chipboard I had laying around.
>>
>Deduction/mystery game ala Sherlock Holmes
>Cases are fictional, but there are clues that refer to real-world information/events that you can search the internet for
>You don't need to search the internet to solve the case, but it will certainly help
>There will be an official website that you enter information into, will be required to play (so I guess you will need an internet connection after all!)
>5 cases in the box, each case takes 3-4 hours to solve
>Can only play a case once, but they may release more scenarios in the future
>2018 release
>>
>>52176908
>checking internet will help, must enter info online
jesus i really hope integrating internet/apps into games does not become standard, what an idiotic idea
>>
>>52176908
See I'm perfectly fine with games that integrate technology like XCOM does since it's just a downloadable app/executable that isn't dependent on anything besides you have SOME piece of semi-modern technology. If FFGs sites go down, well no biggie since you don't have to rely on them to distribute it.

But to have your entire game depend on a specific website staying up and active? That's a recipe for disaster. Keeping a website operational is going to be a constant drain of money so there is going to be a point where the company will shut it down because their sales of the game aren't going to be outpacing the website.

If it was just a downloadable app like XCOM, it would be less of an issue.
>>
>>52177320
xcom is the only game that i think did a good job of using an app
>>
>>52177450
World of Yo-Ho is solid, and I tested out the tutorial of the new Space Cowboys/Asmodee escape room game, it uses an app but it's even less invasive than Xcom.
>>
>>52177450
I have heard Mansions of Madness does it well, but I have yet to try it myself. App assisted games in general sound strange to me.
>>
>>52176365
>How dare people not want advertisements on their board game discussion thread
Also the fact the mods didnt warn you for the exact same reason is sad
>>
>>52177633
i fucking hated the way they used the app. there is no reason for mom to be a board game, it just makes the experience slower. i really think it was always meant as a gimmick. and of course people claim it used it well, people dickride any cthulhu game
>>
>>52177676

Warn me for what, exactly? People are excited about board games. Some of the board games they are excited about are new Kickstarters. Discussion/hype =/= shilling. Fucking get over yourself.
>>
>>52177855
That's kind of my feeling about the whole thing. I reserve judgement before playing, but if you need an electronic device to track everything to play a board game, maybe it shouldn't be a board game?

That being said, I actually like Lovecraftian stuff when done well, inb4 various insults.
>>
>>52177878
>defending shills this hard
dude anyone with half a brain could see those were nothing but ads. they were not adding to discussion whatsoever and you know it. you're either one of the shills or someone so young that you aren't yet able to tell when you're being advertised to without being explicitly told
>>
>>52177899
>when well done
that's the difference between you and the average cthulhu fanboy then
>>
>>52177878
None of those posts read like they're excited. Most are a picture of the game and either "I know I shouldnt be buying this but I did lol XD" OR "Please shit on this game lol :PPPP"

We've discussed rising sun and GKR many many times already. We dont need to keep fucking discussing them, they arent complicated games and they offer literally nothing new. If these people weren't shills they would have already had the discussion for the last fucking 6 threads.
>>
File: cthulhu_mn_pr_web.jpg (548KB, 800x728px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu_mn_pr_web.jpg
548KB, 800x728px
>>52177922

Fair point.
>>
File: Z7HeRxU.png (361KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Z7HeRxU.png
361KB, 512x512px
I'm instituting a rule for the next general: no discussion of any upcoming or unreleased games, no matter how popular they may be, as it WILL be considered shilling. You're all only allowed to talk about currently released games. Want to talk about Pandemic Legacy 2, sequel to the highest rated and one of the most popupar games on BGG? You're clearly a shill, go fuck yourself.
>>
has anyone here played red november? looks fun and has an interesting time system i think but i won't have the chance to play it unless i buy it so looking for any insight
>>
>>52177983
The funny thing is literally no one would call you a shill if you wanted to talk about that so very shit example autist
>>
>>52177979
that image actually made me lol for some reason
>>
>>52177983
this is one of the worst posts I've seen in this general in a long time and that is saying quite a bit. you're complaining about the quality of the thread without contributing anything of substance, have you thought about that? I've posted questions about a few games that have no replies here yet, why don't you look for those, answer them, then maybe if you contribute something decent people like me will give a fuck about some of your shittier posts as well
>>
>>52177983
do you actually have anything to say about PL2 or were you really just REEEEEEEEEing?

i think it would actually be kinda cool if they had it somehow relate to how well you did in PL 1, might actually make me buy the first one and get into the series. if that were the case it would be like a TIME stories but offer more hours and be more customized
>>
>>52178131
I certainly hope your experience in the first game impacts the second. The way they're titling each game as a "season" implies that how it will work.
>>
>>52170974
Kek'd
>>
>>52175785
uuuuuggghh
>>
>>52176908
That is an almost impressively crappy name
>>
>>52160517
I'm fine if I never play the game. I just want weeb minis to paint.
>>
>>52175785
Eh, I already have enough minis to paint, though.
>>
With all this talk of mini painting in thread.
I'm just starting prep for painting the badguys from MoM2 and frankly I'm not impressed compared to MoM1, which itself wasn't hugely impressive.
>>
>>52177855
I get the arguement that you're making about app integration making it feel more like a video game or a gimmick, but you're just wrong.

The app takes away all the tedious setup and accounting and lets everybody play the game. Players still have to manage their health and sanity and equipment cards and still have to figure out the best way to manage the current board state. All the app does is Manage all the crap nobody wanted to do in the first place.

And I'm not 'dickriding' the game because it's Cthulhu. I like it despite the Cthulhu theme, which I'm sick of.

App integration can be a good thing. I hope the app for Imperial Assault is as good as MoM's.
>>
>>52179288
the app literally plays the game for you and you're excited about it. just go back to playing call of duty, young man
>>
>>52177983
Subtle shilling is subtle
>>
>>52179288
the fact that it's not necessary is what "gimmick means"

>le epic "i hate it but not in this case XD" shill tactic
faggot
>>
>>52179328
>game plays itself
Horseshit. The players are clearly in the driver's seat and are making the decisions that unfold the story.

>young man
I'm probably old enough to be your father. Now get off my lawn!
>>
>>52179448
>players in drivers seat
lolwut? the "game" is an interactive movie that the app shows you
>>
>>52179416
>shill
Jesus fucking Christ. We cant talk about games we enjoy anymore or we're a shill? When did /tg/ become /v/?
>>
>>52179448
i actually enjoy the game but the app does dictate what happens for you. you decide whether to do a or b then listen to the app. rinse and repeat. there's nothing engaging about it and there's no substance to it. it's fun to experience but this is not any more of a "game" than a choose your own adventure book is a game
>>
>>52179499
omg its that guy that only comes here to compare it to v every single thread. just leave if you hate it here, guy. you don't like it and we certainly don't gain anything from having you around
>>
>>52179771
I don't hate it here. I hate faggots like you that shit up the thread with 'SHILL!' or get buttmad when people like things that you don't.
>>
>Not instantly recognizing the way of typing the two or three constant shitters employ that never contribute to the thread

So I just got Millennium Blades Set Rotation in the mail. Pretty excited, but what about that drafting minigame? Is it any fun? Rules seem confusing without a quick example playthrough first, but maybe I'm just retarded.
>>
>>52173086
That's actually a pretty interesting viewpoint for it, it is quite true that in every 20 card pack a player would usually only want 3 - 5 cards and put the rest into a binder. FFG also deliberately spreads the cards out too, if not the good ones then the synergistic ones. I don't think there is a way to *not* do this though, like even if there were 120 good cards each cycle, a certain few would definitely stand out and you'd be back to square one with a higher baseline power level. Putting cards with high synergy into a single pack could be better, but then you can't really predict what a player could come up with; perhaps cards in different packs would end up being more synergistic with each other than the cards in their own pack, which would be no different than usual.

Netrunner is also interesting in that the bloat cards sometimes get put to use, usually no stronger than the tier 1 decks but still viable. There's even one card that was previously designated binder fodder that got increasingly relevant as the mechanic that's tied to the card got more prevalent. In that sense bloat is minimal in Netrunner, though the "forced to buy other cards to get the cards you want" part is still true.
>>
>>52180828
Still nowhere near as bad as x-wing, where you're likely stuck buying multiples of models you don't even want just for upgrade cards.
>>
if it wasn't already pretty popular I would shill for Millennium Blades bc I just love it so much
>>
File: OgrePan.jpg (1MB, 2000x787px) Image search: [Google]
OgrePan.jpg
1MB, 2000x787px
>>52170123
holy shit
>>
what the heck game salute wants their backers to proofread for them
>>
File: 18930201.jpg (440KB, 1200x659px) Image search: [Google]
18930201.jpg
440KB, 1200x659px
>>52181479
>>
>>52182163
This is pretty much all I want for some of my favorite games.
>>
>>52181994
>game salute
You shouldn't ever be surprised by anything they do, except run their company without issue. The only time they've ever done that was printing Nothing Personal, and you know that took all their self control
>>
>>52177855
>>52177899
>>52179328
>>52179416
>>52179467
>>52179508
confirmed for not having played it at all.

This guy >>52179288 is right, all the app does is the tedious boring shit done by the game master and 500 different card decks in the first edition, as well as add some neat music and sfx.

>hurr durr why isnt it just a vidya game then
Any boardgame could be made into a videogame, doesn't mean that the boardgames shouldn't exist.
>>
>>52181159
I want this so bad but I don't think my friends would want to play it
>>
>>52181159
I just got Set Rotation and the Promo Packs, but haven't had a chance to bust them out yet. The two girls from the promo look wild to play as.
Whats your storage solution? Right now I have every set kept separate in little baggies, but I plan to get a big box with taller label cards between them.
>>
>>52183963
I guess I got lucky because my core group really enjoys the game
dunno what kind of gamers you play with but I feel most people could enjoy it with proper explanations and easing into the denser stuff

>>52184068
I keep a built store deck on its side with a little spacer to stop the cards from falling, everything not in use I just keep in the box. I cut out strips of cardstock to put between the card stacks however, because the cards sliding onto eachother was very annoying.
For the bronze/silver/gold promos and prize support I just keep those together in the card holder areas to choose when setting up and same with the friendship and character cards.
I kinda wanna print out the card spacers on the bgg files section but I really dont feel like I need them at the moment.
>>
>>52176841

the only real issue is their "standard size" boards. They charge a $50 fee if you don't use the standard template. And of course, the area I'm looking for is 9", and the template is 10"...
>>
>>52181479
The scary part... I own two copies of the Designer's Edition.
>>
>>52185146
Why would need two anon? Also how do you like Ogre? I always liked the old Bolo stories.
>>
>>52183271
holy shit now its the guy who tells everyone they haven't played whatever game they don't like. all the toxic shitheads came out for this thread. if you think MoM is a well-designed game then great, but you should really keep ill-conceived opinions like that to yourself
>>
Just got back from game night. Played Age of Steam for the first time. Loved it, can't wait to play again, hopefully next week. Got absolutely annihilated but that's how it goes sometimes with first plays. By turn three I could see what I'd done wrong.

Also played the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game for the second time. My girlfriend loves the show and we got the game, this was my second time playing it. It's kind of a Pandemic:Cthulhu style co op. It's fun, it's light. Definitely helps to enjoy it if you have seen the show, but that's generally how games like that go.

Anyone else actually play games here or do you all just shill and/or complain about shills in this general?
>>
>>52185180
Need is not the operative word... (I actually was gifted a copy by someone who didn't realize I had the KS version.) Now I'm sure I could sell one, but I have a fairly large gaming table and it's fun to have stupid large battles once in a while. And I like OGRE a lot for the fact that I can teach it to non war gamers in 20 minutes and then watch future Rommel's and Patton's go head to head in giant tank death matches.
>>
File: Games is serious biz.jpg (41KB, 960x738px) Image search: [Google]
Games is serious biz.jpg
41KB, 960x738px
Remember kids - Secret Hitler - not just a game, but a 'training tool'.

http://wtvr.com/2017/03/13/why-the-cia-uses-board-games-to-train-its-officers
>>
>>52185530
wonder if they have euro and ameri cia games
>>
I've been reading up on reviews about Epic because of this thread and I'm seeing a lot of the same opinions on it:
>it's incredibly random
>the tempo is all over the place with how fast momentum shifts
>it's pretty much "baby's first magic"
>it's the card game you introduce your non gamer friends to
>it's a filler game

If the anon who talked about Epic earlier in this thread is still here, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on this
>>
I hereby decree that from henceforth, all other posts containing the word "shill" shall be eligible to report and told to get the fuck out of this thread.

Annoying shit is annoying. And shit.
>>
>>52186589
thank the lord above you're here to provide quality content like that post cocksleeve

do you actually have anything productive to take about? what's the last game you played and is it a game you would play again? if you don't own it would you buy it?
>>
>>52185431
I don't give a fuck if people don't like the game, but don't post blatantly false bullshit and try to pass off your opinions as facts.

Also if you want me to keep my opinions private try to do the same you soggy cunt.
>>
>>52186675
I know you think you're helping by changing the topic towards board games, but there aren't many people who would want to continue talking to a shittalker with a condescending attitude. Not that I agree that complaining about the thread is any better, but you're just as guilty of fanning the flames and making conversations awkward. Just ignore and report the sameposters and discussion will continue naturally.

No board game reports here since I didn't play much besides Netrunner on our last outing. Found out the Carcasonne ripoff app for Android was pretty good though, so there's that.
>>
>>52186858
if people come here to just bitch and not even post a damn thing about board games at the end of their autistic screeching why the fuck should we care if they feel awkward or not? also it apparently worked as here you are, not only responding but helping push the conversation toward more productive things.

what is the carcassonne ripoff app? haven't heard of it. just some random game that uses the same rules but new art or some shit?

do you just like netrunner that much/is it fresh and new to you or do you just have a hard time getting people to play other games for some reason?
>>
have you played any war games lately anon? what's your favorite non cooperative game?
>>
>>52186938
More that the people who were autistically screeching will continue autistically screeching (since they're likely doing it on purpose anyway), and anyone else will find it awkward to join in on the discussion because "motherfucking cocksleeve cuck" isn't a very attractive intro to a conversation, even if it wasn't directed at them. Better to eschew the hyperaggressive intro instead.

The title is Farmassone, it basically is Carcasonne with a slight retheme and pretty comfy music. Free too, if you didn't want to spend any money on the official Carcasonne app. As for Netrunner, it was because it was mini-store champs night. Next weekend should be board game night, so could be good. Really hoping to play a few games of the AHLCG.
>>
File: fs.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
fs.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>52185530
>>52185684
>Also speaking on the panel was Volko Ruhnke, who is an intelligence educator at the CIA and a freelance game designer.

So, various COIN games and/or Labyrinth.
>>
>>52187046
you do make a good point i suppose.

might have to check it out if its free. no one i know has ahlcg, is it as good as people make it out to be? what does it do so well?
>>
>>52187056
Redpill me on COIN games. Worth checking out or grognard-tier? Which ones should I use as a starting point?
>>
>>52187132
if you're the kind of person who is interested in the COIN games after researching them a bit you will probably like them. cuba libre is a good starting point but all of them will require some practice to fully understand so i would encourage you to get the one whose theme really appeals to you as that is a huge part of the appeal of the genre. its also highly recommended to play a 2 player game by yourself before you try to teach it to someone, unless they're willing to learnt the game from scratch with you
>>
>>52187086
It's pretty decent, there was some discussion about it in the previous thread. The cards - particularly the scenario cards themselves - can get used in some pretty innovative ways, and the game itself plays like a pulpy Mythos fiction one moment, managing your actions and resources and fending off enemies as best you can, and spirals into the traditional Lovecraftian despair the next due to getting overwhelmed by enemies or bad stuff happening. It is pretty fun in that sense.

That said, if you don't like ameritrash then this game won't change your mind about them, and the core set has nothing in the way of deckbuilding, forcing you to buy two or proxy if you want customized decks.
>>
>>90+ game
Methinks CitOW

Alternatively, let me add these questions:
> Favorite games that can be played in an hour or less?
Mine are probably race for the galaxy and deception
> Favorite short games? (20~30 minutes)
At the moment id say biblios and port royal
>>
>>52187330
Race for the Galaxy qualifies as a short game.
>>
>>52187330
i was pleasantly surprised by biblios. did some interesting things and can be played pretty quick if everyone knows the rules
>>
>>52187132
>Redpill me on COIN games.
Will try, but I've only played Andean Abyss and Falling Sky. COunter INsurgency themed series of games for 4 players with a focus on assymetrical forces, capabilites and resources, depending on what faction is being played - generally a government force, 2-3 insurgency forces and/or an "outside" force, for example USA in A Distant Plain(Afghanistan conflict) and Fire in the Lake(Vietnam). There's often a need for players to cooperate with one of the others every now and then, but seeing as everyone has different victory conditions one should never put much faith in others. Currently released games and a couple games being released this year in the series are:

Andean Abyss - post-Escobar conflict in Colombia
Cuba Libre - Cuban revolution
A Distant Plain - Afghanistan
Fire in the Lake - Vietnam war
Liberty or Death - American revolution
Falling Sky - Gauls vs Ceasar
Colonial Twilight - French-Algerian war (2 player COIN! later this year)
Pendragon - end of the Roman empire in Britain (later this year)

Rules might seem complicated at first due to the "dryness" of the rulebooks, but it's really not. That said I'm not going to get into the mechanics much as there's a decent amount of them except to say that the basic structure is pretty much the same in all the games, so once you've learned to play one COIN games, the rest will be pretty quick to get into. The actual gameplay itself has been from what I've experienced both pretty tense and varied depending on what faction you're playing. Whether you're trying to protect your drug business with minimal forces as the Colombian cartel or marching around as Ceasar and subduing Gauls with a mass of legions at your back, shit can always go sideways. It might be events you didn't manage to control or by getting screwed over by a concentrated effort by the other players (almost won a game of AA as FARC once, the other 3 players saw it coming and decided I needed decimating).

cont.
>>
>>52187132
>>52187407
>Worth checking out or grognard-tier?
Not at all grognard-tier, very much worth checking out, especially if any of the conflicts interest you.

>Which ones should I use as a starting point?
People generally recommend Cuba Libre as the easiest COIN game to get into, however I've never played it so I can't personally comment on that. Andean Abyss was the first COIN game I played and I thought it was fantastic, despite having almost no interest in the actualy subject matter. I ended up reading up a bit about it after the game instead, but yeah, if you're particularly interested in any of the subjects it might make things a bit easier.
>>
Any good really thematic solo games? Especially something that's just print-and-play plus counters.

I want something where if my friends or busy or I'm snowed in or something, and I don't have too much work to do or feel like vidya, I can play some appropriate music and get lost in the game for hours.
>>
>>52187560
i haven't played it but the star trek dice pnp is supposed to be cool
>>
Holy shit, I want to try Star Trek Frontiers so badly.

Anybody here played it? Thoughts?

I know it's a Mage Knight reskin but I haven't played that and I know plenty of people like this version better.
>>
I like coop but prefer to play against other players as apposed to everyone vs the game.

>what are your favorite 1 vs all games?

>what are your favorite team vs team games?
>>
>>52187361
true but i put it as an hour or less because that's what it is for me as i'd imagine it is for some others. it really brings out the ap in people lol still though, it tends to be pretty quick
>>
>>52187373
me too! I kinda bought it to round out my collection, although i didn't know much about it aside from it being quick and easy to teach. it really offers a lot for how simple it is. truly a gem
>>
>>52187778
>what are your favorite 1 vs all games?
I really like level 7 but i haven't played in a while. other than that i'd say spyfall. i actually don't own any 1vsall games other than those 2 and descent 2e (which i shamefully have yet to play)

>what are your favorite team vs team games?
i think codenames is the obvious answer although im not a huge fan, its been a hit with everyone i play it with. i dont own/haven't played many team vs team games actually... eagerly anticipating some responses to your question.

not sure if this would count for either question, but i really love deception and i personally think of it as a one vs all//team vs team game however, not sure if that's the type of thing you're lookin for.
>>
File: P2110013.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P2110013.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>52172263
They said that about Blood Rage too, but it ended up being a 10/10 game for me.
>>
>>52188814
Blood rage is overproduced, but there's a real game there under the chrome. Heavy hitters has some vaguely interesting card management and area control elements, but the combat half of the game is just a straight up dice chucker.
>>
>>52187560
>>52187581
If you want to "play for hours" the the Star Trek pnp may not be what you want. I've played the pnp version of Deep Space D-6 and it was a lot of fun but it got repetitive after ten games once you learned how to play. I really like playing Space Hulk Death Angel by myself. Also, I haven't played any of them but I hear that the Lord of the Rings, Arkham Horror, and Warhammer LCGs can be played on their own. If you'd like a board game, wizards put out three games based on dungeons and dragons (for what it's worth, Castle Ravenloft is on my list of things to get). And then there's any co-op game you can find
>>
>>52188814
Do you mind telling me what you like about Blood Rage?
>>
>>52188814
>>52189277
im also interested in hearing what you liked about BR
>>
>>52189667
all the games you recommended are good, but he was mostly looking for pnp it sounded like which is why i recommended star trek.

i have Ravenloft and it's really fun for solo, mostly because it's legitimately challenging. definitely the hardest of the dnd board games.
>>
>>52190297
>>52189685
Like: The need to carefully time actions in order to win the battles and complete the objectives you had. Fun tactical puzzles.
Dislike: Your strategy being largely at the mercy of the drafting mechanic.
>>
>>52190338
I totally missed the pnp condition in his request, sorry about that friend.

And that's great to hear about Ravenloft, it's exactly why I want it. I guess I'm just a masochist.
>>
>>52187560

Eldritch Horror is a pretty comfy thematic game which is quite enjoyable solo. The 1 investigator game is rather weird though, so most people play multiple characters. I think 2 characters is great for solo play. I've read some people play all 8 possible party members during solo, but they're fucking crazy.

There are also any number of soltaire wargames out there, but they will naturally be sort of dry and military feeling. You will get as much out of them thematically as you allow yourself to.

One of my friends plays a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse solitaire, but I'm not sure if that's really fun or not. I've played it a few times with people, and it didn't feel like there was much decision making being made. It felt more like a game where you set up machines and watch them go, which isn't exactly what I had in mind for superheroes. I think he just unhealthily likes Sentinels.
>>
Trying this again,
Wanna make a PnP of Concordia, if some kind soul out there could post / point me towards decent files of

* the Concordia card
* Prefectus Magnus
* Player aids
* backs of the Bonus marker tokens. ( I gather that they're all 2 coins except for wheat, correct?)

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52193083
> Concordia
What's so special about this game? Looks awfully generic to me.
>>
Any small/portable games like Love Letters or Skull that you guys enjoy? My brother wants to get me a board game, but I don't want him to spend too much.
>>
>>52193758
well I'm looking for something I can easily rope non-gamers into, so generic is a positive.

While on the subject, what's your favorite economy-focused board game?
>>
>>52194131
Economy games are generally speaking not what you should be using to rope non-gamers into boardgaming, Anon.

Partygames or other simple games (Sheriff of Nottingham or similar) would be your best bet imo.
>>
>>52194408
right, right.
I know my audience, I'm confident they're nerdy enough for Concordia.
>>
>>52193999
Hanabi or two player blokus are small
>>
>>52176908
>DETECTIVE
More like DEFECTIVE when the shitty website goes down.
>>
>>52180828
I don't know about that, in my own card game I made a base release of 200 cards and expansion of 100 cards (with another 50 on the way). People didn't feel any power creep from the expansion and still wanted to play. Admittedly, Digimon Battles is not exactly a popular game but playtesters' word is god.

Another more concrete example is Epic. With a 120 card base set and two 48-card expansions, there has been zero power creep with the one outstanding case of broken-ass Inquisitor Kark. As a general rule, they don't have a lot of cards that are incredibly standout unless you tend to make very similar decks back to back. Cards in that game tend to just fill roles and it's up to you to identify what roles and how many you need.

Spreading out synergy is totally unnecessary, from what I can gather as a game designer. And it's very suspicious for a huge company to try this tactic with their game; almost like it's hard as fuck to design 100 cards quickly and test them all, so they undershoot a few and rearrange "the good ones" which they predict people will really want.
>>
>>52195365
How'd you go about making a card game? What's it called?
>>
A store near me got Pandemic.

Should I get it and what's the best argument you got in favor of? I watched the videos it looks neat but I have no idea how playing versus the game feels like and how much variety it has.
>>
>>52193999
Besides the two you mentioned, Coup, Welcome to the Dungeon, Bang! the Dice Game, Sushi-Go, Hanabi, Rhino Hero, Valley of the Kings.
>>
>>52168283
Is Scythe that bad? I was hoping to pick up a copy, but the store I have a gift certificate to never has a copy so I haven't yet.
>>
Has anyone tried Small Star Empires?
>>
>>52165328

Which of the two is the easier to pick up?
>>
My mom bought Catan for us my family to play because I mentioned it once. It's pretty complex and doesn't look so fun, so she doesn't even want to play it. What do I do with it?
>>
>>52196511
>catan complex
Play it with someone else or sell it.
>>
>>52196377
Scythe is a beautiful and lavishly produced game that gives a good illusion of depth and complexity. Until you start to actually think about it or play it more than once and notice that the depth is all an illusion, there's zero player interaction and it has balance issues.
>>
>>52196511
Play it with your pet.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA
>>
>>52193999

Why the fuck Skull costs over 20 dollaroos, its literally just painted coasters
>>
>>52196726
Asmodee has always price gouged, just be glad it's in stock, between print runs people would charge $30-40 for it and still sell copies on BGG.
>>
>>52195716
if you are new to designer board games and like the idea of a co op game and the theme of pandemic appeals to you it is a quality game. it's easy to get into regardless of experience also so its a good first step
>>
>>52195716
I feel like it's only good for introducing other to the idea of co-op games. After that you'll need expansions to keep it interesting or another game entirley, the game never feels that stressful to be honest
>>
>>52196906

Fucking hell
>>
>>52196552
It's not complex for me, but it has a bunch of small rules that don't add much and some stuff to do every turn. I think they'd prefer something simpler, since the last board game they played was backgammon.

>>52196646
She's fat and lazy.
>>
>>52196511
My mom looooooves Ticket to Ride so try that
>>
>>52197070
what kind of an argument is "if you are new to board games"? i mean it's not like they're hard to comprehend, if there's something vastly better than pandemic feel free to reccommend it, bgg's are pretty simple.

>>52197140
any you'd mention?
>>
>>52187407
>>52187486
Thanks anon. I appreciate your efforts. I'll check them out and post my results.
>>
>>52197308
Yup, it's why we're glad Iello and Stronghold exist and are staying independent of the monster. Good production values, great art, quality games and you can still buy them marked down online.
>>
>>52194408
Check out Ponzi Scheme. It's a game about running a Ponzi scheme (surprise). You take loans with ridiculous interest rates and then take even bigger loans to pay off the previous loans. The first person to go bankrupt ends the game, and whoever has the most money left wins.

It's tense as fuck managing your own collapsing sandcastle, but you have to keep an eye on everyone else and look for clues to how they're doing. There's trading between players but it's secret, so you can buy something for $100 and sell it next turn for $1000 and nobody knows but you.

I love it, but it's definitely not for everybody.
>>
>>52196377
It's a very pretty game, and there is some fun to be had with it, but it's just kind of average overall. Worth a play or two but not worth $100.
>>
>>52197446
Eldritch horror is another worldwide co op romp game but is much more complex and introduces combat to the mix. Hanabi is another fun co-op and is cheap about creating a fireworks display using sets of cards however you can only see your opponents hands.

If you want to experience what it would be like if boardgames had a campaign system similar to videogames pandemic legacy does this very well, introducing new gameplay elements and mechanics every play as well as an ongoing story.

If you want to move onto non co-op games then I'd reccomend either one of two genres.

Introductory economic games. If you have 2 players patchwork is fucking perfect for this and is also arguably one of the best two player games ever made. For 2-4 splendor is a great game with a really neat system that incorporates the idea of the game's currencies being limited.

There's also social deduction games which is the other genre with some very good gateway games. Resistance/Resistance Avalon are two versions of the same game, if you're not keen on buying expansions for a complete experience buy avalon. In both you'll be playing as a team voting to send players on missions together however some of you will be spies aiming to fail these missions. Keep in mind that resistance requires 5 players minimum however. If you have 4 players then One Night Ultimate Werewolf works very well and scales up to ten players also I believe.

If none of this interests you just get Carcassonne because everybody love Carcassonne. You build a French city out of tiles its very comfy.

If you have any specific requirements I can try narrow down some more reccomendations
>>
Has Deception taken the mantle of king of the deduction games from The Resistance?
>>
>>52198137
In my opinion no. The two can co exist but I feel resistance has this very urgent stress to it that isn't present in deception at all. The idea of there being a network of spies feels very scary and can make huge arguments erupt at any moment
>>
>>52198137
No but it killed Mysterium pretty quick; kinda feels like what Codenames did to Spyfall at first. It was this big SDJ type game that everyone had to have and 2 months later some new hotness came out that was better in the same category and just pushed it aside for the better part of a year.
>>
>>52198303
SDJ?
>>
>>52198059
know about most of these, didn't know about splendor, thank you anon, seems interesting enough.

did you ever play vampire: prince of the city?
>>
>>52198367
Spiel des Jahres
>>
>>52198137
No, but Secret Hitler did
>>
>>52193083
Just get the Concodia module for Tabletop Simulator, locate your assets folder and print from there!
>>
>>52195633
Digimon Battles but that's just one of the games I've made. I'm currently, as we speak, making a Boss Mode for Epic Card Game. I hope to print a prototype later tonight and start testing.

DB is based heavily on a PS1 game called Digimon Card Battle. With some rules changed/added and tons of card rebalancing, plus entirely new mechanics and zones, I've breathed new life into an old game. After the expansion, it's basically a different game and would feel much more different if the theme changed. You can find it at my website located in this post
>>52170744

It's free and PNP. There's also a comprehensive Tabletop Sim version if you don't want to print it (with 2 starter decks).
>>
>>52197446
>i wasn't making an argument
>you misquoted me anyway
what newly hired tard wrangler let one of your kind on the internet, little autist?
>>
>>52181479
How is OGRE?
>>
>>52193999
Hanamikoji
>>
>>52196726
I'm making my own version of Skull with local beer coasters. I'll post it here when I finish.
>>
>>52196665
But how does it end?
>>
>>52193999
>>>52196726
>>52200305
I've seen skull talked about before but what makes it so enjoyable?
>>
>>52195365
So I guess FFG would need to eschew the whole "20 new cards per month" deal to do something similar then? I don't know about other card games, or maybe I have Stockholm syndrome, but waiting between expansions would have to be a pain there. I know Ashes does that kind of expansion plan though, and if what my FLGS owner told me, Magic releases a few hundred every few months.Congrats on your game taking off
>>
>>52198367
>>52198461
Spiel des Jahres=Game of the Year

If you really care, it's German
>>
>>52196377
It's overrated in my opinion, as meaningless as that word can be. It's not bad though. I enjoy it.
>>
>>52200784
It's simple to teach and a good game to bring when you go out to the pub. I would recommend if you like bluffing games.
>>
>>52198489
Ha, no.
>>
>>52195365
Honest question -- if you care that much about balance, why not play a real game like Race for the Galaxy instead?

My understanding is that collecting and pay-to-win is the whole point of games like MtG in the first place.
>>
>>52195716
Pandemic is pretty much the only co-op Euro. Get it, it's great.
>>
>>52196552
I agree, Catan has lots of fiddly illogical rules that are ultimately pointless.
>>
Finally received Forbidden Stars from Amazon and got a play in with my gf. Loved the game. We played Eldar v Chaos and were basically learning as we played as far as strategy goes so I'm sure next game will be a lot more tactical. The order placement and reverse resolution is really interesting and adds a lot to the game imo. We originally ordered it looking for a TI3 experience in a more realistic time that could be played and enjoyed at 2 players and this definitely delivered.
>>
>>52202913
>why not play a real game like Race for the Galaxy
Chip-taking game guy is sorta right. Once you've figured out an effective heuristic, most games become a paean to minutia.
>>
>>5215960
>90+
I can never turn down a game of TI, I think people overblow the time commitment.
>Recent
I picked up scythe because no one else was going to shell out the cash. I like the mechanics but it has a big case of "If you don't think about your fucking moves while other people are going I will stab you with a Doritto.

I try to avoid games that have set times of you doing jack shit, so scythe can get on my nerves.

>2017
I don't know how to get on the pulse of upcoming games, and I be worried about what games are worth starting and what are scams. I guess I'm excited for millions of dollars.
>>
>>52203570
ya but TI is only playable in reasonable time if you have a group where everyone has played at least once. some people need a few plays to really get how to plan in advance for a game like that.

Your problem with scythe sounds more like a problem with your group than the game.

2017 seems poised to be a sad year imo with Not Jurassic Park, Buy Our Uninspired Robot Models and Pretend to Make Decisions While You Roll Dice, Eric Lang's Latest Abortion, and Learn to Blog About Crimes: The Board Game being the first few to get the hype.
>>
So I ended up backing the terminator game.

I have a feeling it's gonna be shit, but I figured that worst case scenario, that'll be new minis for the Terminator Genisys miniatures game (which is alright)
>>
>>52203401
>Chip-taking game guy
Who's that?

Also you didn't answer my question, I'm genuinely interested.
>>
>>52204155
i think the split board idea has a lot of potential desu but i have no interest in the terminator. do any other games do anything like that?
>>
Hey /bbg/, I hear that Diplomacy is a classic, but I've never played it.

Is it worth picking up?
Is there a best edition?
Or is there a similar but better game out there?
>>
>>52204294
you can get the rulebook for free from the publishers site then just use any map (literally any map) of europe and any "unit markers" to play the game if you wanna try it out or just own it for free
>>
>>52204294
play on the internet
>>
>>52202913
Not the other guy, but the deck construction part of constructed card games don't really have a replacement in board games, and it's pretty fun, solving a puzzle which you more or less put yourself in.

>>52203401
Not sure how the chip taking game applies to Race since you can't really negotiate or target another player.
>>
>>52197446
>what kind of an argument is "if you are new to board games"?

If you're new to board games, figuring them out is more difficult, no matter how smart you are. I've played with physics PhDs; it's safe to assume they're intelligent, but having played almost no modern board games, it wasn't as easy for them to intuitively grasp mechanics and instructions that are entirely familiar to us because we've seen them a billion times already.
>>
>>52204754
>Not sure how the chip taking game applies to Race since you can't really negotiate or target another player.
He also brought up stuff about people finding a heuristic and the game getting boring after that point.
>>
>>52204267
Khronos does but it's shit.
>>
>>52202957

What the fuck are you talking about. There's like a grand total of 5 rules in Catan.
>>
Rate my latest purchases:
>Mage Knight
>Santorini + Golden Fleece
>Ca$h & Guns
>City of Horror
>SpyFall

I wanted to get Inis as well, since it was on sale for a very attractive price, but I spent way to much money this month.

What do you say?
>>
>>52205343
start playing cities and knights and you will actually have a decently non bland game.
>>
>>52196476

Can anyone answer this?
>>
>>52205854
Well you already bought them so don't ask us what we think, go play them!
>>
>>52199612
It's complete component ogreload.

But for real it's a pretty classic dice and chit wargame. Kinda a niche group of people really. You can get a taste for how it feels by grabbing the OGRE pocket edition for like three bucks.
>>
>>52204155
>Terminator Genisys miniatures game (which is alright)

Is that an RPG, or an 'RPG-like' board game? Sounds like it could be fun.
>>
>>52206205
Well like I said good luck finding the original for less than the price of a vital organ.

Otherwise the rules are available, read them yourself and make your own decisions.
>>
>>52202913
>if you care that much about balance
Oh this isn't really about balance. Moreso, it's about how little innovation new card games bring to the table. I'm reminded of a recent game we played which was excellent—Ares Project. It allowed players to pick 2 of their three starting cards, the third is always an attack, and any future cards you draw that you don't like, you can use as resources to fuel your initial strategy. In that example, the cards are buildings that pump out units, RTS-style and the cards are energy resources.

In this way, you're essentially choosing an early game for yourself, then deciding along the way how you want to build toward midgame with a vision of late game. It has its own problems, but those are with the dice combat system. And I realized this is a very new and innovative solution for which TCGs could be employing. When you lose to that, you feel like you just chose the inferior strategy, rather than had a bad hand despite working your ass off for hundreds of hours to design a deck that has no bad hand. There are hundreds of ways to revamp the genre and it's a shame to see them staying archaic.

>Race for the Galaxy instead?
Not sure what you mean, I do play other games. In fact, I mentioned earlier that I don't really play competitive card games anymore.
>>
>>52206920
>It has it's own problems, but those are with dice combat
People have been saying the dice combat is the only thing wrong with the GKR: Heavy Hitters KS, have you looked at that? Do you think dice combat is always a problem?
>>
>>52206920
>pick 2 of their three starting cards, the third is always an attack, and any future cards you draw that you don't like, you can use as resources to fuel your initial strategy
>choosing an early game for yourself, then deciding along the way how you want to build toward midgame with a vision of late game
>dice combat system

Sounds like Race for the Galaxy except made shittier. At this point, again, why not just play Race instead?
>>
>>52202913
Is race for the galaxy balanced? I've never played it so I'm curious
>>
Sudden urge to play a good battle mech game but I've already tapped out the fun from my 1980s BattleTech, what do?
>>
>>52208995
make up your own obviously
>>
>>52206657

It's just a miniatures game, kinda like them warhammer thingies.

I dont know much about minis, I only played this one and a few games of warhammer, robogear and one game of some shitty thing I fucking hated I dont remember it's name.
>>
File: rising sun.png (360KB, 680x581px) Image search: [Google]
rising sun.png
360KB, 680x581px
To all the people who have concerned themselves with Rising Sun. With the gameplay and its mechanics. Read up on it and maybe watched some videos...

If the game used tokens or cards or standees or whatever else instead of plastic for those big monsters, would the game still be compelling?

I am intrigued by the game and think the machnics sound very interesting but some people called it a plastic pusher and compared it to Risk.

I don't think a lot of plastic automatically makes a game bad, but I want to know if what's underneath is good.

Would the game hold up if the minis were't minis but something else? Why/why not?
>>
>>52208995
Arsenal: Arena Combat is a card-driven one you can play with your BT minis and maps.
Giga Robo is a weeb flavored one, but it's a KS that isn't out yet, but no one's shit-talking it's mechanics around here, unlike the current GKR KS.
>>
>>52208922
Yes, insofar as there aren't any stupidly obvious strategies or obviously overpowered cards.
>>
>>52209396
>If the game used tokens or cards or standees or whatever else instead of plastic for those big monsters, would the game still be compelling?
Nobody knows, they didn't even release the rules yet. (This fact alone should already answer your question, but whatever.)
>>
>>52209401
Thanks for the legit reply.
>>
File: rising sun.png (308KB, 639x228px) Image search: [Google]
rising sun.png
308KB, 639x228px
New stretch goal unveiled.

>KAMI UNBOUND

Kami Unbound is a new ruleset which makes the presence of the Kami even more potent and vital in Rising Sun! Normally, the influence of the Kami is restricted to the bonuses each of them grant during the Kami turn, granted to the Clan who has the most Shinto worshiping them. With Kami Unbound, the Kami will get their own figure, which starts the game in a specific Province.

While no Clan worships that Kami, the figure just stands there, watching over the mortals' actions. However, as soon as one of the Clans sends one of their Shinto to worship that Kami, they take its Kami power card (an all new component), placing it next to their Clan Screen to mark that they have the favor of that god. While you have the favor of a Kami, its figure basically counts as one of your figures. It can be moved when you Marshal and counts as 1 Force to your Clan when deciding Harvests and Battles. Also, being the powerful forces they are, Kami can never be Taken Hostage, targeted with Betrayal, or even killed!
>>
>>52210762
>New ruleset
>When we still dont know the original
This is like one big joke
>>
Is Saboteur worth buying for 2 players gaming?
>>
>>52211140
No, it's not a two player game. Minimum is 3 players and it's really better at higher player counts.
>>
>>52211140
>>52211234
I agree that it's not a two player game but I think it's much better of a game than you would think
>>
>>52211140
they made a 2 player saboteur call saboteur duel
>>
>>52210912
Dude it's CMON. They've had everything they wanted in the game planned from the start. They know about how much money they're going to get cause they kickstart all the time and have planned their reveal schedule for the milestones they know/expect that they're gonna hit.

If you look at their past ones they will either have 'extra reveals' cause they're 'so excited' or they hit stretch goals during the pledgemanager phase (where there's no way to confirm how much money they're at). They do this because they aren't going to hit a certain stretch goal and already have the feature planned.

CMON is probably one of the best at the charade of hyping 'stretch goals' that aren't really stretch goals.
>>
>>52213451
Of course.
It's just hilarious that people fall for it every time without fail. The lengths at which people will go to not look like they just want to buy toys is sad. "B-but it's a serious board game!!"

I can't wait for FFG to announce the inevitable L5R negotiationish strategy game that just ends up shitting all over this diplomacy-light pasted on theme shitter game.

Fuck shogun already exists anyway.

And sekigahara
>>
>>52213578
Fall for what? You make it sound like it's all a scam. They make great games that people like. What do you even know about the gameplay? You see plastic and you immediately shit on it. That's weak.
>>
>>52214023
It is a scam. If it wasn't a scam there would be a version without all the fucking minitures because they'd think the gameplay would be able to hold up on it's own.

Guess why they haven't released the rules or have done what I just suggested.

I remember saying this about kingdom death a couple of months too but I think even that was a more original game then this and ciuld justify the minis more
>>
>>52214023
>they make great games
eric lang plz leave
>>
>>52203570
I feel you on Scythe. My group took forever like literally 3+ hours the first time we played. Had to explain the rules more than twice for each component and they had AP like no other. It has since gotten better but the first few playthroughs were agonizing.
>>
>>52211140
saboteur is awful at under 4 imo
>>
>>52214104
>if it's not PnP it's a scam
I don't care for CMoN stuff either but come the fuck on, it's not a scam. They're putting out a game they and no doubt lots of other people will legitimately enjoy despite there being better fare on offer. That means they have a profitable business model and competent marketing, they're not scamming anyone because all there customers know exactly what they will get.
>>
New thread's up
>>52216788
>>52216788
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.