[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 372
Thread images: 25

File: Monster 7.jpg (198KB, 1310x634px) Image search: [Google]
Monster 7.jpg
198KB, 1310x634px
D&D 5th Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52114724

Have you tried running or played in an underwater-set campaign, 5eg? How did that go?
>>
>>52120466
I think the bigger question is... Why the fuck would you stat gods?
>>
>>52120466
Nope, it's a level 9/8 spell once cast at that level. I can't remember the exact evidence for that, I just remember it being a thing.

Vulnerability has no save, as does magic missile.

Must be really powerful legendary actions, because they only need one turn (Grave cleric's turn) + one turn (Druid's turn)
The only thing is, if you have immunity to force damage you become resistant, if you have resistance you have normal damage and if you're normal you have vulnerability. So it's technically better than 2x damage, but it doesn't ignore what resistance they have.

>>52120484
This
>>
>>52120444
In my experience, entirely underwater campaigns aren't really any different. Either you ignore restrictions, and let everyone act as normal but with what amounts to a fly speed, or you heavily restrict everything and either everyone plays underwater races to ignore them, or they pick options to have ways to ignore it.

Thematically, it can be great, but mechanically, its best ignored, or done in short bursts.
>>
>>52120484
God's avatars, there's a distinction.
Because people have different tastes and some want to play as gods or commit atrocities against them?
It's almost as if D&D was a game where you could do whatever you want. Who knew?
>>
File: WKdBb7dl.jpg (72KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
WKdBb7dl.jpg
72KB, 640x480px
>>52120444
No, but I imagine if you did it would basically be like all your PC's had flight.
>>52120484
Only if they ever make an Epic PHB should they make god stats. I don't like the idea of PCs killing gods.
>>
>>52120484
>Why the fuck would you stat gods?

Because killing gods is in genre?
>>
>>52120500
I researched it here "Casting a Spell at a Higher Level
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts Magic Missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that Magic Missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill the slot it is put into."

Do you understand what Legendary Actions are and have you seen Tiamat's statblock?

>>52120484
>I think the bigger question is... Why the fuck would you stat gods?
See >>52120510
>>
>>52120484
>>52120500
You realize the concept of statting gods has been around since 1e, yes? It's always being a thing of D&D.
>>
>>52120513
>Only if they ever make an Epic PHB should they make god stats.

I'm all for increasing the number of epic boons that exist, but I'm not sure PCs need to be able to go past level 20. Its good to have an anchor point.

>I don't like the idea of PCs killing gods.

Nonetheless, its a time honored practice. Archfiends aren't that far off from gods.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12498055

Looks like no one thinks that Sharpshooter is all that special.
>>
>>52120532
It's older than that. There's a 0e supplement for it.
>>
>>52120528
It's only at the end of a creature's turn, so that's only one attack (After the grave cleric's) unless you ditch the grave cleric (Because honestly you don't need ~2222 damage, yet alone ~1111) in which case they don't get any legendary actions at all, because they're fucking dead.

And all the attacks do is inflict damage. Sure, that's nice, but it probably won't stop the druid screwing them over like a petrification would.
>>
>>52120500
How much hp and where are these positioned in relation to Tiamat?

>>52120484
>>52120500
God's stats have been in every edition of D&D.
>>
What's your religion system in your setting, DMs? Been trying to get ideas like using what the DMG has. Dualism seems to be interesting cause I like the idea of 2 gods of different ideals with lesser deities under each though I'm not sure if it's right to put Chaotic Good/Neutral gods under the Law side of the duality cause of the "Chaotic" part. Am I right in seeing it this way?
>>
>>52120552
Sharpshooter is pretty much exclusively for non-feat games, and nearly everyone plays with Feats.
>>
>>52120582
It's for a Longbow fighter with the Sharpshooter feat. That extra damage lets your action surge be even bigger and the melee shots let you skip Crossbow expert.
>>
>>52120574
Different faith systems for different cultures.

There's a monotheistic empire that believes all other gods are off-shoots of the one true god, there's a Hindu-style triumvirate, a pantheon of four based off of the seasons and the humors, a pantheon of endless little gods that embody every aspect of the world and a religion that has no gods but instead worships the collective spirits of their ancestors.

You can have multiple systems in the same setting. If they clash with one another, that's a good thing. Religion's supposed to be at least a little nebulous and a cause of conflict. A clean, cut and dry system removes the magic.
>>
>>52120574
>What's your religion system in your setting, DMs?

Pretty much just Tiamat runs around eating people all day (and she has a continuous Shield effect)
>>
>>52120556
No shit Sherlock. Her Legendary Actions affect cones or 10 foot wide lines, and deal horrendous damage.

Had previously on their turn implies it passed Tiamat's turn, which Tiamat can just plonk in their midst and multiattack. Or once it passed to Tiamat's turn, she could divine word. Or any number of things.
>>
>>52120565
A druid has enough HP to last at least one legendary action.

But if they can get within range, it doesn't matter, because it's a one-turn-kill before tiamat can do anything.

Magic missile's range is 120ft. If you want to be a real bitch, you can have some people buff you up with extra speed through haste or something so you can run over from outside of her attack ranges, or have someone teleport you in. The only real concern is her rolling higher initiative, and she has a +0 dex modifier. Simply cast enhance ability (cat's grace) on yourself, consider getting the +5 initiative feat and go wreck'em.

Of course, if you fuck up somehow, she'll probably murder you in a single turn but honestly literally all you need to do is get within 120ft and you win, even if you've used your action (But if you only have action surge's action left then you'll likely have to roll ever so slightly above average damage)
>>
>>52120605

I've been thinking that in reality, there is a One True God but different cultures see him/her differently. It'll probably never be realized by my players or the people of the world that there is in fact just one supreme divine being but when they traverse, they see many people who view it differently that Region A (where the players reside) believes One True God is a mini-pantheon of many gods that represents different aspects like Life, Death, Knowledge, etc. (something like "The Eight"), Region B sees him as one god and has lesser divine servants like saints who spread his cause (much like Catholics do in real life), Region C think it's a single God with many faces (though I fear it might blur to Region A's belief), then Region D is a mix of Region A/Region C but they think God is a nature deity who exists within the natural elements and his aspects are represented via water, air, earth, fire, etc.

Then you have the people who discard the above beliefs and go for more sinister Gods who live in the Far Realm.

I'm all for clashing really but I still want to have that cohesiveness under the hood of it all.
>>
>>52120665
If your players will never realize what the truth of the world is, there's no need for you to make it cohesive. You can safely leave it unfinished if it's something that will never be a part of the plot.
>>
File: meirl.jpg (34KB, 493x585px) Image search: [Google]
meirl.jpg
34KB, 493x585px
>mfw a player rolls up a halfling diviner wizard
>>
>>52121029
that's why my homebrew halflings have -1 int
>>
>>52120444
I have had two areas set in underwater places, one exploring a sunken city with an NPC that could create a bubble of air around the party, and a cave with magical water that was as clear and as breathable as air.
>>
>>52121029
At least you know that they're a likely problem player and can police them accordingly.

Alternatively, they might play it reasonably well. But somehow I doubt it.
>>
>>52120574
The majority of the world worships deities from the Dawn War pantheon, with a handful of cults here and there worshipping essentially Great Old Ones. And then there's a few cities that are completely isolated from the outside world, and have been for millennia, and they also worship those GOOs, plus an "All-Mother" deity because their culture predates the Dawn War pantheon.

Both the isolated religions and the Dawn War pantheon revere the stars and constellations as avatars of the gods.
>>
Do small races wield rapiers without penalty?
>>
>>52120633
You're assuming the vulnerability goes off?
How are you casting magic missile as a druid? A 2nd level eldritch knight doesn't yet cast spells.

And the hp of that druid being? The DM can sure handwave the druid into surviving the encounter.
>>
Hello guys, first time DM here, had a question regarding alignment and whether I'm handling it right.

So I'm running the Lost Mine of Phandelver module from the starter set and the players had just arrived in Phandalin. They ran into the Redbrands, killed most of them and tied up one of them after beating him within an inch of his life. (so far nothing out of the ordinary)

They then dragged him to Qelline Alderleaf's farm, barged in the door traumatising her kid for life and interrogated the bandit with a knife to his throat while the paladin took a nap.

Then they dragged the bandit back to the town square, executed him while he was pleading for his life, and hanged his body using his cloak to put him on display.

I thought that last part was pretty extreme, so here are the alignment shifts I'm privately tracking (players aren't aware):

> wizard (Chaotic Good -> Chaotic Neutral)
it was his initiative and he showed no remorse or hesitation
>ranger (Lawful Good -> Chaotic Good)
she didn't approve putting the body on display but did nothing to stop it either
>paladin(Lawful Good ?)
was still taking a nap, after hearing what happened he mildly condemned it but undertook no action (like taking down the body)

Mechanically there will be no consequences since the paladin didn't take his oath yet.
>>
>>52121089
Seems like lawful good actions, that's what you do to bandits. You should punish them by moving them one step closer to LG.
>>
>>52121111
I reasoned the lawful good action would have been to turn them into the local authority.

I realize you're probably joking, but let me clarify that I'm not looking to punish them, just using alignment as a way to keep track of how the world responds to them (eg. the citizens are a little scared of them now)
>>
>>52121089
>Mechanically there will be no consequences since the paladin didn't take his oath yet.

Does that mean that you are going to require the paladin to be the party babysitter for the rest of the campaign after he gets the oath? Christ.
>>
>>52121097
Go with multiverse theory.

Every time they use a reroll to succeed where they previously failed or they use Portent to replace a failed roll with a successful one, they're actually stealing luck and success from other 'selves' in different parallel universes. They're swapping around probabilities and causing their other selves to fail. The more they use this ability, the more porous they make the universe, allowing their parallel selves to enter it and hunt down this mystical entity that is leeching their luck.

If they're going with a wacky race-class-feat combo for the sake of being powerful, be just as wacky in return.
>>
>>52120574
>What's your religion system in your setting, DMs?
It's largely monotheistic.

Humans and Elves have basically the same religion. There's God, he's cool, they praise Him, life's great. Clerics fall into a given domain by more closely following one of the distinct books of His holy word.

Dwarves practice Saint worship. Same God as Humans and Elves, but they think he's inattentive or busy with other shit, so the Saints are basically middle-managers who can get your word to the top since they have a track record of getting responses. Also, they're Spanish.

Orcs revere animal spirits and practice ancestor worship. They think the afterlife is co-mingled with the real world. They're right

Gnomes have a bunch of Gods but they're all distinct Aspects of the Human/Elf God. They're basically Hindu beyond that, right down to being brown and being good at computer programming.

Halflings are animists. Every individual rock has a fucking spirit in it.
>>
>>52121144
No, I meant that there is no possible way for there to be mechanical consequences since alignment isn't that big a deal in 5e.

If the paladin takes the oath of devotion, then yes, I expect him to follow his oath and try to refrain from stuff like that. But he can just opt to take another oath.
>>
>>52120500
Your build is invalidated because it can't cast magic missile to begin with.
>>
File: 1482962922531.png (48KB, 882x229px) Image search: [Google]
1482962922531.png
48KB, 882x229px
>>52121172
Arcana Cleric has access to Magic Missile.
>>
>>52121088
I'm disregarding the grave cleric entirely because you can easily deal ~1111 or so damage without them
And if you don't even cast magic missiles twice, you can still get ~600 damage.

That's a good point though, I fucked up on the level calculation.

Actually, the best way to do this is to simply go for 19 levels of druid and 1 level of cleric. You don't need action surge. You only need to make one attack, even without grave cleric's help, to deal an average of over Tiamat's health. But, again, there's random chance and you could definitely flump, so action surge is probably better as a back-up.

A typical druid's health might just be 3.5+20*(4.5+3) at that point, but it could easily be buffed throughout the many levels at that point. But expect around 150-175 HP.
>>
How can I tell my player that his Chaotic Neutral character doesn't necessarily mean he has license to do chaotic/law and good/evil things at the drop of a hat?

I need a good situation/example that'll make him see what I'm going for. He thinks because he's CN, it's in-character for him to decide to kill a peasant for being a thief then a little later, he's kind to this child cause he wanted to show his good-side to his party. Then later on, he punches a guardsmen in an inn cause he was pissing him off.

My players are complaining to me that he's becoming bipolar instead of a cohesive character and he says "it's his character" or something. I admit, this is the first time I'm dealing with a CN character who's becoming a problem on the table, I usually just shrug it off cause previous CNs I've had just didn't really pose such significant problems to the party (and sometimes people just ultimately drop alignments altogether). So yeah, I'm not sure how to approach it efficiently without pissing everyone off.
>>
>>52121185
He didn't mention that, only twilight druid 18/fighter 2 and level 6 grave cleric, as per his example.
Tiamat noms down on his party because they trusted the fool.
>>
>>52121167
>I expect him to follow his oath and try to refrain from stuff like that

Right, but how much party policing is he required to do?
>>
>>52121192
just have his victims return as revenants
>>
>>52121204
His fault for incorrectly quoting the build then.
>>
>>52121204
This is a really stupid and petty thing to take issue with as opposed to the wildly untested UA element.
>>
>>52121204
You can still use a wand of magic missiles.

In any case, it's a simple oversight that reduces the damage by 1d10, when you're already doing truckloads of damage.
>>
>>52121188
There's a chance of rolling poorly and completely wiffling, bear in mind what Tiamat is dealing in her statblock are averages and not max damage. She could easily obliterate overconfident fools just as easily if she won initiative.

And I'm not particularly concerned about a one trick pony that makes use of that particular combination. Especially since you fucked up something fierce on your first try. Your entire party died.
>>
>>52121208
I don't expect him to take full responsibility for everything the party does, but I expect him to act in good conscious, for example in this case I would expect him to go back and give the bandit a burial. If he would have been present I would expect him to try and stop the other two from executing an unarmed man pleading for his life.

These are the relevant tenets here I think:
>Compassion. Aid others, protect the weak, and
punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your
foes, but temper it with wisdom.
>Honor. Treat others with fairness, and let your
honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as
much good as possible while causing the least
amount of harm.

I should note that I'm planning to be fairly lenient in this regard and give the player plenty of warning that he's going of the right path (visions from his deity etc.) before taking actual action.
>>
>>52121227
Whatever helps you win at D&D, autist. But sure, try that with a DM and see how you fare.
>>
>>52121254
Doing twice average damage or having twice the health of her average damage is more than enough.

But, again, she can't even use legendary actions because as long as you get within that 120ft range safely she won't even survive to the end of your turn.
>>
>>52121269
>point out this UAshit is bananas
"You are trying to win at D&D, autist!"
Amazing projection bro.
>>
>>52121271
Whether or not she allows you to get within 120 feet is another matter. She's not a retard, not with her Int.
>>
>>52121288
UA is bananas if you abuse multiclassing, grats bro. Lets get that 1 UA Ranger level for a scaling Wolf too.
>>
>>52121288
Only an autist would get his panties in a bunch over unofficial content. Content that got feedback. But you were so close at winning at 5e. Keep trying, you're get there.
>>
>>52121290
Her attacks are 120' range or less, and by default she emerges from the portal which is definitely within magic missiling range. Has nothing to do with being retarded and everything to do with completely stupid rules and rulings.
>>
>>52121271
>>52121288
Using UA against established monsters is like using homebrew, official homebrew nonetheless, against monsters. It serves no purpose other than playtesting that material.
>>
>>52121305
>>52121303
>grats bro
>But you were so close at winning at 5e.
Interesting to see someone get defensive and respond with projection over their leet minmaxing builds being criticized.
>>
>>52121311
See >>52121321
>>
>>52121089
Unless you're going door-to-door and killing whole families, there's little you can do in a single day to actually shift your alignment that much, especially from one end of the spectrum to the other.

If you consider some 100 point scale where 100-68 is Good, 32-0 is Evil, and everything in between is Neutral, you will almost never do something that is worth even 5 points either way.

>They ran into the Redbrands, killed most of them and tied up one of them after beating him within an inch of his life.
This is fine. People die in mortal combat. They were presumably trying to kill the PCs as well, and one can never ensure they don't kill anyone in a big melee with swords and arrows everywhere.

>barged in the door traumatising her kid for life
This means nothing.

>interrogated the bandit with a knife to his throat
This doesn't really rise to the level of Evil. Threats and promises of violence used to force compliance aren't the same as, say, torture, which is Evil.

>dragged the bandit back to the town square, executed him while he was pleading for his life, and hanged his body using his cloak to put him on display
This is Chaotic. The party decided they were the best ones to interpret and enforce the law (though "Lawfulness" and "the law" aren't the same). They took matters into their own hands when things were already under control. The execution and display is just tacky, but doesn't really rise to Evil, provided it was performed humanely. He was a baddie, after all.

>Mechanically there will be no consequences since the paladin didn't take his oath yet
Mechanically, Paladins don't have to remain Lawful Good anymore. They just have to avoid egregiously violating their Oath, which can be served a number of ways, and not all of them Lawful or Good.

Remember, alignment shifts happen over a long period of time. Over the course of an adventure, you're not going to see someone drop from Good to Evil unless they are making a conscious effort to be a shit.
>>
File: 1468150091761.jpg (208KB, 600x907px) Image search: [Google]
1468150091761.jpg
208KB, 600x907px
>>52120444

Thoughts on LG Outsider warlocks? Whats a good patron for them? I was thinking an angel, or like a chorus of luminous voices.
>>
>>52121290
It really, really isn't hard to get within 120ft of someone.

A spellcaster with possible friends who could potentially accelerate him to ridiculous speeds that can easily outrun 120ft fly could easily catch up. You're basically playing a cat and mouse game at that point where tiamat has become the mouse.
>>
>>52121329
What the fuck are you blathering about?
I'm saying using UA to prove certain monsters can be oneshotted using certain combinations is fucking retarded, but you shouldn't worry because it's considered homebrew and obviously needs playtesting and finetuning.
Of course the minmaxing builds should be criticized you driveling retard.

Do you even understand sentences?
>>
>>52121367
Tiamat never engaging in direct HP combat with anyone in any way for the rest of her existence out of fear is a decent compromise.
>>
File: throne.jpg (644KB, 800x721px) Image search: [Google]
throne.jpg
644KB, 800x721px
>>52121351
Did you know that before Renaissance artists started painting angels as little babies and ripped blonde dudes, they were fucking terrifying?
>>
>>52121367
>>52121379
Hiding behind certain UA tricks can lead you to believe your character is the bigger threat, I suppose.
>>
>>52121329
You seem to be retarded.
>>
>>52121341
>Remember, alignment shifts happen over a long period of time

Thanks for your response, I wasn't really aware of this. Is there somewhere where alignment is explained a bit more in depth? The 5e PHB and DMG are rather concise on the matter.
>>
Now try oneshotting Tiamat without resorting to UA.
>>
>>52121351
Play out the Lawful aspect to the extreme. You could refer to some unearthly Law on High as your baseline, worship some unknowable entity that you've tapped into.

Ideas of law and justice could bleed through into you from your patron, 'corrupting' you with ideas about absolute right and wrong, perfect truth, unknowable divinity and the filth that is grey morality.
>>
>>52121378
And you got bitchy and defensive, trying to claim that for objecting to the basics of the nuclear druid nonsense, I was trying to win D&D. ie, pure projection. So fuck off.

>inb4 "no u"
>>
>>52121227
You sound like a sore loser.
>>
>>52121415
5E doesn't really "do" alignment to begin with, which is why it doesn't mention anything. Old AD&D, 2E, and 3E books are the best place to get a general feel for this, but seldom do they ever really lay out a hard and fast rules-y system with "these actions are Good, these actions are Chaotic, this is worth 2 points, alignment switches happen here, with or without snap-to-center alignment".
>>
>>52121435
What the actual fuck are you trying to say?
Type slowly if English isn't your first language.
>>
>>52121399

Never remotely justified UAshit. Follow the reply chain.
>>
>>52121461
That overconfidence is going to multiattack you in the ass.
>>
>>52121417
Open Hand Monks, surprisingly enough. Most parties won't have em and it'd require you to get to her, but I am actually quite comfortable with how wizard parties will have an insanely difficult time against her, while a monk can pop her in one round.
>>
>>52121461
Please give examples. I'm sure it can be done.
>>
>>52121438
I wasn't the one he was responding to, so...
>>
>>52121491

>Please give examples. I'm sure it can be done.

Okay.

The sole problem with nuclear druid retardation expressed at >>52121290 was whether Tiamat would allow someone to get within 120' and that a creature with 90' to 120' breath weapons as a primary attack is "retarded" to get into range.
>>
>>52121492
Your response was pretty petty and really stupid, not gonna lie.
>>
>>52121509
Sorry to upset you, chum.
>>
>>52121507
How is your brain even functioning? I want to know if it's actually working.
>>
>>52121516
Yeah man, I got so mad.

Anyway, I've already said this >>52121378
>>
Using UA to prove an epic monster is surmountable through shenanigans doesn't actually prove anything. It just proves the UA isn't ready yet for "official" consumption.
>>
I'm making a Nuclear Druid. What cantrips should I pick up? Currently thinking..

Cleric:
Sacred Flame (Force saving throw)
Guidance (Utility)
Light (Utility)

Druid:
Shillelagh (Melee)
Shape Water (Utility)

Wizard:
Green-flame Blade (Melee)
Chill Touch (Ranged attack)

Any other suggestion?

Going for a ancestor worshipping kinda shaman and fluff magic missile as ghosts or spirits.
>>
>>52121227 #
In what way?
>i can do this and this to oneshot a god!
>DM: you actually can't because your mechanics don't allow for it, them's the breaks
>you're really petty and stupid
>DM:...
>>
>>52121479
What can the open hand monk do? Really curious.
>>
>>52121667
Quivering Palm
>>
>>52121686
Nice; what about against Legendary Resistance?
>>
>>52121714
Not him but I guess make her burn it through Stunning Strike and Open hand technique and flurry of blow?
>>
>>52121725
Can the monk fly? Because vertically and actually reaching may be an issue.
>>
>>52121756
Monks can pretty much run up walls and jump pretty far, if your GM is putting a flying encounter in without cinematic ruins, trees or buildings for the monk to do sick flips off then he is a sad man.
>>
>>52121686
>Quivering Palm
How do you get the DC high enough to reliably beat her CON save?
>>
>>52121873
>You fight tiamat on the flat plains outside the city.
>>
>>52121893
>Tiamat is only allowed to get 120 ft in range.
>>
>>52121921
>You fight tiamat in a 50ft cube
>>
>>52121756
>>52121873
Shouldn't PC at that level should have magic item that help them fly?

>>52121876
Her CON save is +10 right? Shouldn't the DC be 19 or something?
>>
File: 1461094800479.pdf (69KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1461094800479.pdf
69KB, 1x1px
>>52120444
anyone have an up-to-date version of this?
>>
Which caster makes a better blaster? Warlock or sorcerers?

Warlock seems like an obvious choice because of EB but the sorcerer looks a lot more versatile. We're playing a game with no multiclass so once I pick a class I'm stuck in it. Which will allow me the most fun?
>>
>>52121185
>>52121188
No reasonable DM would allow that.
>>
>>52121945
>tfw our party wizard forgot to prepare fly on the final battle against Tiamat.
>Our paladin dimension-doored himself and the barbarian onto her back.
>We failed to reduce her power enough so she was immune to sub 7th level spells.
>We had used earthquake to damage the temple, Power word stun on the leader, and feeblemind on the Red-Wizard guy, our Cleric cast an 8th level call lightning and lost concentration immediately, so by the time Tiamat showed up we had only two spells that could effect tiamat, she passed her save vs one disintigrate, and legendary resisted the other.

>Our entire party bar the Paladin and the hasted Barbarian just sat and watched them two fight, as we could literally do nothing.

>They still killed her stupidly quickly and easily, due to Paladins doing retarded damage on his critical hit smites, and our Barbarian slugging away with Hawanziemirwhatever.
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 566x800px
I'm playing an alchemist artificer, and wondering what level 5 item I should pick.
Beyond giggles with infinite mayo, what are the good options and why?
>>
>>52121976
Depends on your level, if you're 10+ Warlocks, especially fiend locks, make fantastic blaster casters assuming your GM is kind enough to let you have the one thing Warlocks need, and that's a Rod of the Pact Keeper.

Field-lock with Kiss lets you blast away with EB every turn and Fireball as bonus actions, once you're over the mid-way point you'll be looking at 3 spell slots with one in your rod, means you can easily drop a fireball every single encounter at a DC higher than any other caster can match.
>>
Would Tieflings cossacks make sense?
>>
>>52122003
Robe of useful items, as you are making it clearly it has maximum amount of patches since none are used, and you select the contents.
16 patches of 1,000gp gemstones. Cashe Monay.

Memes aside, Robe is super fun item and lets you get some items like a rowboat, or summon door that will be super fun to pull out of nowhere.

Lantern of revealing is pretty nice, just a fire and forget presto, a permanent aura of fuck invisiblity for 30ft helps you find hidden items, traps and avoid being suprised by invisible hunters. Mechanically it's the best and most combat practical.

If your GM splits the party a lot, the wand of magic detection makes a fantastic gift for the party fighter or something, in the event that he gets seperated from casters having him be able to detect magic can be a real boon.
>>
>>52122091
Unfortunately Magic Detection is kinda obsolete in that my DM gave me a free Servo after a particularly boring (at least on part of everything my guy tried to do being completely shut down) boss fight, that allows me to Identify and Detect magic through it, so I'm never really far from the other guys who need it.

Robe does seem useful indeed, as does lantern, but it also feels like the other party members make the lantern slightly less helpful too, since two of them are inherently psychic.
>>
>>52122154
Does being inherently psychic allow them to detect invisible creatures that are nearby? Like would the GM be willing to say "X and Y, you both detect an unfamiliar brain-pattern about 20ft behind you, but when you turn to look no one is there."
>>
Primevial Guardian Ranger, they get an ability to gain HP equal to their levelx2 whenever they enter Ent-form..

But.. There is no limit to entform, so can they just Bonus action to Ent up, then Ent-down, Bonus action to Ent up, then Ent-down just to recover HP?

Also, I'm assuming since they don't say otherwise, that becoming large means extra damage dice on attacks.

Looking at making a Firbolg Ranger.
>>
>>52122337
Your personal size category doesn't enhance the value of your weapons' damage dice. That is specifically an effect of the spell Enlarge. You need size large weapons to deal large sized damage.
>>
>>52122193
The Awakened Mind Mystic is almost entirely about thought detection, I believe.
The GOO-lock, I'm not sure.
>>
File: AOP-YONL-1.jpg (528KB, 892x892px) Image search: [Google]
AOP-YONL-1.jpg
528KB, 892x892px
I've been thinking a bit about having a religiously motivated villain in my next campaign. Basically it could be someone from plane ___ who believes that by conquering land and killing other warriors he grows stronger and serves his God, but he doesn't torture, kill civilians, steal, or lie. Basically something like the Aztecs who wanted constant new humans to sacrifice and some of the Norse who wanted to die in battle, their faith would be centered around killing. His powers would be more centered around killing many weak opponents quickly, sort of area of effect, but he will be weak in one on one combat against someone strong enough to survive his low-damage spells. If the players defeat him he might put his hands up against a portrait of his God and pray, and the players can choose to kill him, enslave him, or banish him to the other realm. If they banish him he might use the things he's learned to finally defeat his lord and become a sort of king priest. If the players in the next campaign or so venture into that realm they will see an older, calmer version of that villain sitting on the throne. Sort of lawful evil I guess. Trying to think of different motivations for villains that aren't just I want money or I like to see people suffer.
>>
File: 1419993335619.jpg (83KB, 415x370px) Image search: [Google]
1419993335619.jpg
83KB, 415x370px
So boys, looks like I'm playing in a game this Friday. We already sat down and made our characters, however there's a bit of a misfortune.

We rolled for stats, and the dice gods decided to give me some of the worst stats possible while everyone else got above average to flat out superior stats. My array is 14, 12, 11, 10, 7, 5 and we're also starting at level 1. Regardless of my stats, I'm gonna go hexblade and play a bit of an underdog.

My question is, should I make con and dex my dump stat, pick up the Tough feat with VA human to give me normal HP and then later on go for heavy armor?

Yes I know that dumping those stats are retarded, and I know rolling is too. I'm hoping the worst case scenario is I die fast and can make a new character. With the best case me living long enough to be somewhat manageable.
>>
>>52122631
Go for a dex two weapon fighting meme build

you will die fast.

(Your re-roll will be worse tough)
>>
>>52122615
Cool story, bro.

You didn't really ask any questions there, but the plane he's from should definitely be Acheron
>>
File: b2ec75bc24ea41d591fa4f32041c99a5.jpg (572KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
b2ec75bc24ea41d591fa4f32041c99a5.jpg
572KB, 800x1132px
So what are some of the best invocations and spells to grab as a warlock? Obviously Devil'sSight+Darkness and Shillelagh+GFB for the tomelock are golden. What are some other good grabs and builds?
>>
>>52122758
Yeah I know just thinking aloud.
>>
>>52122841
Our party warlock had some good luck with Command and Minor Illusion. He disguised spiked pit as stone floor with minor illusion and commanded a werewolf to run over it. Not sensing any immediate danger, the werewolf plummeted to its death.
>>
>>52122889
But a werewolf wouldn't die unless the spikes were silver.
>>
>>52122902
They were. The spike pit was specifically built for executing traitor werewolves.
>>
>>52122910
That's pretty cool.
>>
Anyone know how to impregnate dancing light or if it even possible?
>>
>>52122910
Did you steal that from the Van Helsing movie? In it Dracula had a shot that cured lychantropy to use on vampires that betrayed him.
>>
>>52122965
With MAGIC, everything and anything is possible.
>>
>>52122981
I need list of spell!
>>
>>52121083
yes. it doesn't have the heavy quality.
>>
Would this be too broken as a property of a magic item for paladins?

>While attuned and wearing it, this item can maintain concentration on a spell you cast. If you take damage, it makes a Concentration check as normal, with a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier minus the spell's level.
>>
>>52120484
>https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

Because I'm running Baldur's Gate as a one-on-one campaign to a player who's never played it, and I dread the fact it might actually go the distance and there very well might not be epic level content out for the game.

Then again, considering we're in chapter 2 of BG1, there's a lot of time.

If we ever even get there.
>>
>>52123088
Whoops. No idea why it pasted the trove link to my post. Must have ctrl+v'd accidentally.
>>
How do you guys run inventory without it getting ridiculously autistic?
I'm considering giving everyone 20 slots for non essential items (backpack, camping supplies, food, etc doesn't count). Items take up 1 slot unless its a big or especially heavy item.
>>
>>52123118
People keep shit on them, and as long as it's not absolutely ridiculous, nobody cares.

Basically, we don't even really pay close attention to what exactly you have. Who the hell cares after the first few bits of the game how much exactly some random thing costs? You can just say you pull out a pocket knife for some trivial tasks, nobody cares if you paid for it.

Only if it sounds more-than-trivial to have something like that (we can all believe that an adventurer has rope on him, much less that he has five back up swords and an extensive set of unrelated tools), then we actually pay attention.

Basically, we run it without getting ridiculously autistic by... not getting ridiculously autistic, I guess.
>>
>>52122631
Stout Halfling Hexblade Warlock
10 STR
16 DEX
12 CON
7 INT
5 WIS (who makes a pact with a SWORD?)
12 CHA

Lucky rerolling of 1s completely counteracts your shit stats.
You can get by just using your dagger or whatever for the first few levels.
>>
>>52120574
A character in my party is an "atheist" and I'm wondering how this can affect him, since the gods after all do exist and influence the world directly and indirectly.
>>
>>52123270
Just let him know about the wall of the faithless when he dies and expects to be resurrected
>>
>>52123276
Won't they be judged first? So they can be resurrected before they get put into that fucking abomination.
>>
>>52123270

Suggest the player on the side that the god's do exist in the world as there is proof of their existence in libraries and legions of text that around the world. Tell him, instead of being atheist, "agnostic" would be a more proper term for the campaign setting.
>>
>>52123270

The gods exist, and so 'athiest' should be reinterpreted as one who may believe they exist, but who doesn't believe IN them. Rejects their divinity and their expectation of worship.
>>
>>52123285
The shit atheist will burn on the fucking wall forever
>>
>5 Fey Warlock/ X Ranger (Revised)
>Moon Bow, Thirsting Blade
>Beast Conclave
Good? Playable? Is it too MAD or is it fine if I don't care about spells?
>>
>>52120444
>Have you tried running or played in an underwater-set campaign, 5eg? How did that go?
Starting one.

The idea is basically to take a group of people, who are the PCs, have them fight an onslaught of some weird Abominations coming from the ocean, kill the PCs, flood most of the world, and have them brought back by the Goddess of the Sea.

I have their character sheets approved. Starting at level 4, Lore Bard, Moon Druid, St UA Ranger and a Thief Rogue.

I haven't told them they will be spending a lot of time underwater. I am mostly concerned about how to handle it.

Do I:
1. Make them able to breathe underwater, and give them alternatives to weapons that work well underwater so they fight as usual, especially for ranged weapons.
2. Make them unable to breathe aside from a rechargeable limited water breathing, but keeping them limited underwater, both in terms of their movement, but also their weapons.
3. Give them nothing, and let them figure out how to handle all the underwater caverns.

I feel like the last option is being a jerk. Option 1 feels a bit like cheating, bit I also don't want to have the campaign constantly become "oh our water breathing ran out, let's take a long rest."

Any good advice?
>>
>>52120484
So you know how difficult it is to Romance them
>>
>>52123270

Tell him that the correct one is "Agnostic" as the other anon said. But you can have a culture that believes in atheism just that in your world, it's like one of the highest forms of blasphemy to the gods. When one dies, he goes the wall of of the faithless as other anon said and if he revives, I'll add, that he becomes a emotionless husk who feels nothing.

Gives some establishment that gods don't mind agnostics cause they still have that "hope" of turning back to the faith but to the ones who truly believe they don't exist should be fuckin' wrecked.
>>
>>52122001
wait, do people actually not carry spare bows/crossbows?
>>
>>52123427
Through the strong atheistic belief of that empire, their leader ascends, in death, to becoming the God of atheists.
>>
>>52123542

And with that, the PCs have a new BBEG to take care of.
>>
>>52123351

This, pretty much. Actual full-on "lol there's no gods" in a fucking fantasy setting where the gods will LITERALLY appear and tell you their will, as well as more or less directly affect the world, is not any kind of reasonable decision. It's the Forgotten Realms equivalent of a hardcore fundamentalist Christian who ignores all logic and evidence that doesn't support his worldview.
>>
>>52120510
>or commit atrocities against them?
>ywn tenderly rape Ehlonna after the third date

Why live?
>>
My DM banned every spell with an effect longer than 8 hours. Is this reasonable?
>>
>>52123607
But why?
>>
>>52123607
Did they say why?
>>
>>52123607
Is the world ending in eight hours?
>>
>>52123568
But those people do in fact exist in the real world, you even provided an example yourself. Maybe his character is just an unreasonable person.
>>
How do we make the champion not shit?
>>
>>52123640
>>52123641
Our DM said, "Don't ever fucking do that again. I'm not gonna let you guys run around [insert long-term spell effect here]." That has been her ruling when we tried to cast Geas, Planar Binding, Contingency, Simulacrum, etc.
>>
>>52123699
Sounds like you were asking for it.
>>
>>52123719
Maybe. We one time found a genie in a tower and I suggested the druid bind it into our service once we freed it. I told the DM I didn't need the genie for his wishes or others powers, I just thought it would be fun to have a genie slave to talk to.
>>
>>52123385
seems workable. i've been thinking of a similar multiclass, but instead of 5 fey warlock/ x ranger is 5 fey warlock/ x rogue, optimally assassin for more burst. bow smite+sneak attack damage for huge burst
>>
What's a good ratio for Inn/Tavern:Population if my city has 45k citizens?
>>
>>52123680
It's not mechanically bad, just incredibly mind-numbing.
>>
>>52123251
>(who makes a pact with a SWORD?)
only some of the coolest characters in fanasy
>>
>>52123251
>Not playing a Hexblade as Link, complete with EB being magical bow and the Master Sword as your patron.
Why bother?
>>
Would these numbers work for a country's demographic? I imagine most people are Average Joes with Adventurers being rare, magic users rarer, and arcane casters rarest.

# Total Pop
90% Commoners
10% PC Class

80% Non-magic classes
20% Magic casters

70% Divine casters
30% Arcane casters
>>
>>52123752
To be fair, genies of all types are trouble.
>>
>>52124087
>link
>spells
When will this meme end?
>>
>>52124087
Why do people keep thinking Link is some kind of gish when he's obviously just a guy with a large inventory full of magical bullshit?

He's clearly Battlemaster/Thief.
>>
>>52123896
The new warlock patron gets the crit bonus at level 1. The only second fighting style anyone would take would be defense/mariner, superior critical comes in way too late, and nobody reaches level 18, although I'll admit it's a cool capstone.

I don't even understand why remarkable athlete exists. What kind of champion doesn't have proficiency in those checks already? +2 to initiative as an entire sub-class feature is laughably bad.

The barbarian has advantage on initiative rolls, danger sense, reckless attack (so the crit range is equal with the barbarian's until lvl 15) and resistance to damage. The champion has maybe 1 or 2 more AC, but everything has +8 to hit so that's much worse than 1/2ing most damage that you take.
>>
>>52124115
>whenever he learns a new spell, he finds a new item that lets him cast that spell
DONE
>>
It seems like I spend as much time clicking refresh on random name generators to find that perfect name for people and places as I spend actually preparing the campaign.
>>
>>52124154
I think champion is more appropriate than battlemaster.
>>
>>52124103
True. I even cited to the group the part in the spell's description where a hostile servant will strive to twist the wording of our commands. I still supported the spell's usage because I wanted to see in what creative ways the genie would fuck us, but the DM would not entertain me sadly.
>>
>>52124237
Link jumps like a girl and never crits.
>>
>>52124202
Are you implying you want a puppet zelda as a spell catalyst?

How would that work?
>>
>>52124291
no i just posted that pic coz its cool and legend of zelda related
>>
>>52124251
He also doesn't do any of the battlemaster maneuvers.
>>
I am rolling a Tempest cleric for an upcoming game and I got the following stats

I want to play a dwarf but not sure if I should go for mountain or hill. I had planned on grabbing magic initiate at lvl 4 so I can get BB and lightning lure for thematics. Any suggestions? Also wondering if I should multiclass at any point or just stay straight cleric.
>>
Is elemental wild shape any good?
>>
>>52124357
yes
>>
>>52124345
He does in TP. Really it depends on what zelda game we're talking about. For example, original LoZ link is probably just a champion.
>>
I want to make the most "fighter from a small town" character imaginable. So obviously human fighter, and what else? I could multiclass and stuff, think something like Link from WW mixed with Link from TP.
>>
>>52124345
>he doesn't have a spinning attack
>he doesn't have a flying helmsplitter
>he doesn't charge his attacks and strike at a range greater than normally possible
>he doesn't knock enemies down or send them flying back
>>
>>52124398
TP link took a few levels of circle of the moon.
>>52124425
Spin attack is more like the ranger's whirlwind attack.
>>
>>52124351
>planning characters ahead of time

Suck down some shotgun mouthwash.
>>
>>52124351
Mountain is pretty good, it's got two +2 stat boosts. +2 STR, +2 CON.

If you go Mountain, stats should be 17 WIS, 14 + 2 CON, 12 CHA, 13 DEX, 10 + 2 STR, and 9 INT.
>>
>>52124435
Sweeping Attack's a thing. Besides, Link doesn't have Favored Enemies.
>>
Lads I need some resources for a roll20 game i'll be running with a few pals, got any links?
>>
File: ganon.png (507KB, 627x673px) Image search: [Google]
ganon.png
507KB, 627x673px
>>52124457
Favored enemy (pig).
>>
>>52120574
Mostly different faiths for different cultures. I like the "the more people believe in us, the more powerful we are," angle, so my games tend to run like that.

Granted, even deities that have hardly any followers left are still ridiculously powerful, so long as they once had a great many followers; the memory of faith and the retelling of their stories without faith is almost as good as faith itself for the sake of their godliness.
>>
>>52124382
Care to elaborate at all?
>>
>>52124443
Why are you playing dnd? It seems to make you unhappy.
>>
>>52124488

One of my retired settings had the same angle. I added a more grim dynamic to it that Gods who have no followers become dormant are sent to a plane where they're rendered in a catatonic state. It kinda adds some drama for Gods who are near zero followers try to do desperate shit to gain followers which led to some pretty fun moments in the campaign like avatars of these near-catatonic Gods trying to coax them to do their bidding (without revealing they are gods.)

A memorable moment was my players finding the plane where the banished gods were and they saw a dark void that had comatose bodies of gods and goddesses suspended above them as they walked, all forgotten and lost in time.

It was one of my first campaign settings when I started DMing so I have quite a fond spot for it.
>>
>>52124510
nah
>>
>>52124549
I might steal that, picturing the scene alone gives shivers.

My players know that I'm very fond of settings with a cycle of rising and falling cultures for thousands upon thousands of years with more history being lost with each new "generation," so a scene like that eventually popping up would give them an idea of just how fucking old the world in question is.

And yeah, greater /tg/, that means I practice a lot of technological stagnation after a while. But various "generations," stagnate at different points for different reasons, so fuckin' sue me.
>>
>>52124351
Hill is usually better for a cleric, with that bonus to Wis and extra HP. I'd say 14 Str - 9 Dex - 15 (13+2) Con - 12 Int - 18 (17+1) Wis - 10 Cha
Dex, Int and Cha are interchangeable, up to what you prefer being better at. And a reminder that if you do grab lightning lure, you gotta use either int or cha for the saving throw.
>>
>>52124588

Yeah, I was imagining it more like gods being hung by chain from their ankles, blindfolded and wreathed in some colorless aura. I pictured the gods being huge in size too. Additionally, I had a warden homunculus made by the Greater Deities to keep watch on these bodies. This way there was an avenue for players to ask questions and realize how fucking old the setting was in history.
>>
>>52121029
What's wrong with this though
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot (3).png (297KB, 1235x906px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot (3).png
297KB, 1235x906px
I need some help with some stuff.

Friend of mine has made a setting where there's a shit ton of water. I decided to make a warlock with his patron being some ancient fuck-off whale. Cool glowing tattoos included. Crunch making him Great Old One. My warlock once being a sailor who was pulled from a watery grave by submitting to his will. But I'm having trouble coming up with reasons as to why he would want my character to adventure for him.

Most I've got is:
>Planet used to be all ocean, patron took a nap and woke up to find all these continents/islands here. Is currently pissed
>Old and bored. Cannot ascend from the depths and wants to know what is going on with the races above
>To spread the word of his existence as he has stayed silent for too long and wishes to assert his will upon the world

What do you think? Any better ideas?
>>
>>52124087
>>52124115
>>52124154
I could see the Eldritch Blast being sword beams.
>>
>>52124785
To go to the surface and teach the whale about the surface world, so that he may know how to better cultivate his new religious order on the world stage. Things are so different from when he last affected the world, that he can't be certain how to influence the minds of mortal men anymore. So, he wishes to learn the ways of the mortals, the machinations and intrigues, so that he can adapt and thrive in this new world he has found himself in.
>>
>starting a campaign with housemates
>we're all new to the game except our DM whom has played a bit

I'm still deciding what I want to play. I like playing control in MTG so I was thinking maybe a pyromancer who specializes in countermagic and illusions.

What's the best way to approach this build? I'm not too familiar with the game and don't really know how useful countermagic is in DnD.

I thought about playing a monk as I loved the monk in Final Fantasy III, but Western RPGs typically treat monks like support characters as opposed to FFIII's insane monk DPS.

I also thought about playing a dragoon (again as a callback to my FF nostalgia), but it seems a little advanced for my first time playing
>>
>>52124893
If you want to do countermagic be an abjurer, however many enemies aren't magical. Monks are a support class in this game, primarily focusing on mobility and inflicting statuses. Dragoon isn't a class, I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>52124893
Illusion wizard good. You can pick illusion as your school and make illusions real at later levels (make illusory stone wall real). Counters situational in my experience though.
>>
>>52124893

Closest you can get to Dragoon, which is a weird thing go for, is a fighter or ranger with a spear. It can be wielded with one hand or two handed for an increase in damage dealt

Have an ally cast Jump on you and go to work, I guess.
>>
>>52124549
>ywn kiss the beautiful sleeping goddess, awakening her from her slumber

Why live?
>>
>>52124943
>Dragoon isn't a class
Yeah I know. It's a class in most FF games. That's why I said it was a little advanced for my first time.

Which school specializes in illusions? I think I'd like to start out in that school, then branch out into pyromancy and countermagic for utility.

Which school uses pyromancy? Or is that sorcery?
>>
>>52124893
For dragoon either multiclass fighter/monk, paladin/monk, or just be a fighter/pally with the magic initiate feat and take jump as your spell.
>>
>>52124837

A little more nefarious than I originally imagined but that is pretty damn good. I'll have to talk to my DM about that.
>>
>>52124986
For pyromancer the closest thing in the base books would probably be a red dragon sorcerer. Please keep in mind that many monsters resist or are even immune to fire, so prepare other element attacks as well.
>>
Is there any problem RAWwise using a scabbard as a shield?
>>
Hey /5eg/, semi-new DM here. One of my players (a draconic sorcerer, to be precise) wants to create new spells to take better advantage of his silver dragon heritage (make an ice equivalent of fireball, for example). Do you let players create spells in your game, and if so, how do they have to go about it?
>>
>>52125067
not as far as i can see. i mean i guess preparing your scabbard is easier than pulling out a big shield so it might seem a bit weird that it takes a whole action to don your shield. otherwise i see no issue.
>>
>>52125243
a simple way to go about it is to lower the damage of the spell or raise the spell level, for example:
Cold Fireball can be 8d4 instead of 8d6 or be a 4th level spell.

I find this to be a good measure of whether a player is trying to powergame, because if they are, they'll get mad and say "just forget it!"
>>
>>52123369
>>52123293
>>52123276
The Wall of The Faithless is not an active punishment anymore you fucking idiots! Kelemvor does not feed souls into it, all souls go to the fugue plain where some are, of course, stolen by demons, most souls, however go to their god's domain, or if they were not believers to the plane matching their alignment. There is no punishment for being an un-believer in FR anymore! It was created by an evil god, Jergal, kept up by another evil god, Myrkul. Now, under Kelemvor what's done is that he maintains what was already there as the souls that make up the wall, cannot be separated and saved, and even if it were possible to do so, it is safer for all of the realms, not to.
>>
>>52125243
i've heard of some people making alternate versions of spells by changing damage types. i'd really avoid changing saves cuz that fucks with balance. changing damage types kinda messes up balance a bit but not so much. if he's just wanting to make a cold damage fireball i dont see the issue. cold is less resisted than fire but not by a whole lot i feel.
>>52125273
this is also a good idea. if a player wants to change a damage type from a more resisted to a less resisted, reduce the damage. if they're doing the opposite (less resisted to more) then i'd be hesitant to give them bonus damage, but i'd consider it.

if he wants to change the damage type on a cantrip just tell him no though. i'd say that mess up balance too much and there's basically already everything for each damage type.
>>
>>52125273
>>52125311
Right, I was thinking I'd cut the damage to 6d6 or something, but add that it reduces movement speed of those hit to 10ft or something to represent the freezing effect.
>>
>>52122405
So carrying a Large sized weapon is at most 30-40lbs, nothing to worry about for any strong PC.

Is it bad I kind of want to roll a gnome who flexes into a treant?
>>
>>52125336
the other thing to do, is to make it clear to your player that if the spell seems to powerful, you are allowed to change it at any time.
>>
>>52125357
Oh of course, I expect that we'll have to tune things as we go along, and he understands that.

As for the process of making the spell itself, what do you guys think? Several Arcana check sand 500g per level to craft it?
>>
>>52122631
Any starting level requirements or magic items?

If you're high enough to start with a couple magical items, dump Strength and Con as a kobold barbarian and scream at everyone who looks at your belt of giant strength and amulet of health. And trust me, they are looking at it with their filthy touchy gnome eyes.
>>
>>52125382
if he's a sorcerer, then it should be something inherent to him. I personally wouldn't add a cost to create it it also gives him some sort of edge over a wizard
>>
>>52125336
that's not a bad idea. i think that's pretty balanced. AOE -10 speed can be pretty good but most fights are close enough it probably won't matter anyways, but i'd say it's worth the 2d6 less damage.
>>
>>52125354
No at most 5-6, for most great swords, if you're talking a claymore or flamberge size, maybe, ten pounds. Most weapons are not heavy, it would defeat the purpose of them and magical materials and enchantments would likely only lighten the weight of the weapon.

Now if you're talking a giants weapon or the like then yeah I could see 30- 40 pounds but no man or especially gnome could use it save perhaps hercules.
>>
File: fec.jpg (22KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
fec.jpg
22KB, 600x400px
>>52125354
your average historical infantry weapon is going to be anywhere from 1-7 lbs, one handed swords and axes being closer to the start of that range and two handed weapons being toward the end of it. the most i can imagine a large weapon weighing is 12 lbs and that would be pushing it. that would be rather unwieldly for the average human and be suboptimal even if you were a strong medium sized creature.

at 30-40 lbs you can forget any humanoid wielding it effectively. at that point it's an improvised weapon. if you really wanna make rules for larger weapons being wielded by smaller characters, just slap on the heavy quality for weapons that don't have it and a "super heavy" quality that gives disadvantage on all attacks if you're medium sized, unless your STR is like 20 or some shit or you have the large build trait. if they can wield it, they deal 1d4 bonus damage.
>>
>>52124986
I would just go Dragon Sorcerer for what you want here. Sorcerers are much easier to approach as a newcomer (don't have to worry about choosing a new spell list every day) and you'll still be able to pick up illusion spells. Red, gold, or brass for the draconic ancestry will give you bonus damage on your fire spells too.
>>
>>52122154
>An item that allows you to use identify and detect magic even though you already have identify and detect magic
Oh, joy.

Lantern of revealing is pretty niche but I like it anyway because you don't need to hold anything aside from a shield and a lantern.
>>
So I have a Third Level Druid in a campaign, and a Paladin as a companion.

Would Spike Growth and Command, "Come" be a good combo?
>>
>>52125669
Command: "The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn’t understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it."
>>
>>52125669
It probably wouldn't work if they saw spike growth cast or if they managed to notice that it's dangerous. However, spike growth is a very nice spell in general.
>>
>>52125710
But what if it fails it's will save?

If it doesn't realize the land is hazardous, would that work?
>>
>>52125434
>>52125553
I was talking specifically a LARGE sized weapon, not merely a big weapon.

A Maul rocks around 10lbs, so a large sized maul will be 4-8 times that right? So even at 60-80lbs even a humble small sized character can drag one around.
>>
>>52125760
for 5 feet, then it becomes painfully obvious and the Command fails.
>>
>>52125669
Providing they didn't see the spike growth or are too stupid to realize it's harmful, sure.

Personally I'd probably give them a slight benefit to their save on the grounds it's hazardous, but not gaurantee they'll succeed.
>>
>>52125762
Those are the numbers for what a large sized weapon would realistically be. Of course, this is D&D, so the weights are incredibly unrealistic, but still.

Let me do the math and tell you how much a large longsword would weigh under D&D numbers and how it'd weigh under real numbers.
>>
>>52125762
Well, maybe you get +1d4 damage for every size increase.
>>
>>52122631
>rolling for ability scores
Put the 5 in Con so you can get killed and make a better character ASAP
>>
>>52120513
Seeing that dragon really makes me miss Heroscape
>>
>>52123086
If this means the paladin could have two concentration spells going at once, then yes
>>
>>52122631
Play a wizard with 5 con, try to provide absolutely fucking great utility then die anyway because you have 3 fucking starting HP with 8 AC then remind everyone that rolling for stats is fucking stupid.

Or if you want to make it seem like you're not being an idiot, play a monk.
14, 12, 11 gives you 13 AC with +0 HP if you don't up your stats. You'llsuck, hard.
>>
>>52125924
Also remember that 5e doesn't specify a minimum amount of HP to get when levelling up.

So if you have a -3 CON modifier and you roll a 2 on your hit point roll, you actually lose one maximum HP when you level up. If you get lucky, you can actually kill yourself by levelling up!
>>
>>52126053
>You lose HP by leveling up
This is charop autism turned on its head is it?

"The rules don't specify thing therefore I don't die of drowning" is pretty much all the proof I need that every autist who puts Int 16 "because they can't bear to play a retard" should put it down as a 8.
>>
>>52123872
Generally a taphouse for every 500-1000 residents. Maybe a inn for every 5000 residents.

Keep in mind a city of 45,000 is extremely large in a medieval setting
>>
ya know one thing I gotta appreciate about 5e is how simple it looks like a cleric is to play:

1. for first level spells, get Guiding Bolts (simple 4d6 radiant attack that gives next ally to attack advantage)
2. for second level spells, get Spiritual Weapon (10 rounds of 1d8+wis bonus action attacks)
3. for third level spells, get Spirit Guardians (100 rounds of a 15' radius, 3d8 radiant/necrotic AoE)

works fine for a PEW PEW char

Wizards don't have that kind of ease in playing.
>>
>>52126139
>Maybe a inn for every 5000 residents.
Maybe in large cities, but it will be very large. Small trading towns will probably have one even if their population is barely a thousand (town as in a place with market rights, not every village of a certain population and size)
>>
>>52126163
>playing a pew pew cleric
You disgust me
>>
Can anyone recommend a good sounboard for Dming?
>>
>>52126185
clerics are all about filling the pews.
>>
>>52126163
as nice as DEUS BOLT is, you probably want to save those 1st-level slots for Healing Word, the best healing spell until aura of vitality

spiritual weapon is really good as well, since it lets you attack while you're doing support things

spirit guardians has the issue of eating concentration, which you could be using to buff the party instead
>>
>>52126185
Laser clerics were a mistake.

Clerics should be front line bashers with their maces and heavy armor
>>
>>52124785

Aren't the old one patrons sort of supposed to be unknowable boogies from beyond time and comprehension? It's motives should be bizarre at best and clearly menacing otherwise. It's an evil power source, not Snuggles the Whale.
>>
>>52126256
I'm honestly okay with cleric having range ability. I can even live with some basic pew pew ability, but a cleric is definitely the last class I want to see pew pewing all day like a god-bothering sorc.
>>
>>52126185

Well they are armored knights of God's furious retribution.
>>
>>52126126
There's a difference between 'there's no rules for it' (Though I remember there being a rule about how long you can hold your breath relating to con mod) and 'there is rules for it which specifically states this, and I'll follow it to the letter'.

And losing health on level up is the 'following it to the letter' case. It can be seen as 'Your deathly sickness slowly killing you as you gain experience'.
>>
>>52126276
>It's an evil power source, not Snuggles the Whale.
It's not evil, it's unknowable and beyond time and comprehension. If Snuggles the whale is an unknowable force beyond time and comprehension, then it works fine as a GOO patron.
>>
>>52126250

>which you could be using to buff the party instead

Are there *any* buffs that remotely compete with +3d8 AoE damage a round at that point? Seems you'd have to have a pretty fancy party gimmick for a concentration buff spell to be best.
>>
>>52126309

>Not playing the GOO patron as an animu moeblob like Nyaruko

It's like you can't even into 4chan
>>
>>52126309
Basically a gargantuan Neutral-esque Aboleth-type eh?
>>
>>52126294
I dunno, they sure seem better for pew pewing than, say, a wizard, at least for the first 6 levels (which are the most commonly played).
>>
ok how long does it take for a spell to be cast by the way?
>>
>>52126395
A single action unless otherwise specified.
>>
>>52126256
>Clerics should be front line bashers with their maces and heavy armor

While I agree, offensive deadly touch cleric spells are either massively high level or massively inefficient.
>>
>>52126408
how long is a action compared to a round, like a round is 6 second
>>
>>52126432
less than 6 seconds
>>
File: gpdf.jpg (50KB, 960x713px) Image search: [Google]
gpdf.jpg
50KB, 960x713px
Are there many instances in which an instant death device is permissible for a DM? Because I just ran a session with my players in which one of them pretty much killed themselves, but the effect that delivered it was instant.

>In the menagerie of the BBEG, a master assassin in service to dark gods
>Lots of creatures in cages, all of them are poisonous, this has been established prior to entry into the room via several signs and the strewn corpses of henchmen in varying states of agonising and interesting death.
>Our Barbarian gets it into his head that he wants to try and immunise himself to the poison.
>Asks me if he knows anything about it
>He does not roll well, I tell him it's possible, but it requires months of building up tolerance
>He decides he doesn't have time for that and instead goes for the most poisonous thing in the room and swallows it whole.
>The creature in question being a golden poison dart frog.
>A whole handful of them, because he's a half-ogre and they're all tiny.
>Tell him to make 15 constitution checks
>He fails 7 of them
>Takes two steps and falls over dead, heart stopped, bleeding from the eyeballs, the nose, all the orifices (inaccurate to how they usually kill, but I like flair)

It's quite a surprising situation, considering he's been quite an intelligent character so far, they're going to bring him back next session, I'm not cruel, but still, this was quite frankly the most stupid thing any one of my players has ever done. Was it fair?
>>
I want some opinions, should I allow my players to multiclass using revised ranger? Does it break anything?
>>
>>52126395
it says so in the spell information. usually an action but some take longer. a few are bonus actions.
>>52126432
less than 6 seconds. since you can't use a bonus action and cast a spell of 1st level or higher, then i assume it takes up the majority of that 6 seconds, at least 2 or 3 seconds. War Caster lets you cast it as a reaction with certain limitations so it shouldn't take the whole 6 seconds either.
>>
>>52126466
Be very careful ua revised is somewhat front loaded so multiclassing could result in unexpectedly powerful charop
>>
>>52126464
>Are there many instances in which an instant death device is permissible for a DM?
Any course of action that would lead to the question "are you sure you want to do this", only if the question has been asked out loud and the players have said yes because of course they'll say yes.
>>
>>52126464
That's not an instant death device, that's a protracted death by stupidity. Yes, it was fair. The PC committed suicide out of pure retardation.

Instant death should generally be something blatantly obvious, like what you did.
>>
>>52126466
The problem of UA revised ranger is that it's a really, really easy two level dip.

Just disallow multiclassing.
>>
>>52126466
Multiclass ranger that dips = fine
Dipping INTO multiclass ranger = bullshit
>>
>>52126466
it would be powerful since the companion scales with character level rather than ranger level. mounted combat with the small races can be fairly powerful multiclassed. Rogue and Barbarian are the big multiclasses i can think of off the top of my head. Rogue for perma sneak attack (which isn't too bad since it's easy to get in the first place) and dex-barb soaking up hits that would go for it's mount while still getting all the benefits of mounted combat. there also might be something grapple related that'd be pretty powerful but i can't think of anything off the top of my head.

>>52126519 probably put it best. if they're dipping into another class it's fine but going into it just for beast companion is pretty cheesy.
>>
I'm thinking of building a Warlock who's patron is the Wall of the Faithless. I'm guessing the most thematic would be an Undying Warlock but what Pact should I take and what spells?
>>
>>52126513
I don't think its problematic for a UA ranger to use multiclassing to steal shit from PHB classes, just the other way around.
>>
Want to play a Goliath Valor Bard for the viking-ish Skald flavour. How are these stats:

16 (14+2) Str
12 Dex
18 (17+1) Con
11 Int
11 Wis
16 Cha

Planning on wading into battle with a maul and abusing the Bard's amazing action economy. Probably gonna grab stuff like Bigby's Hand in future so I can always attack and use my bonus action to do more stuff besides the Bardic Inspirations and Healing Words.
>>
>>52126584
I like pact of the chain for that. it could be a single soul pulled from the wall and taken mortal form in order to aid the warlock and by extension the wall as a whole. Plus that means there's less limit to the forms it could take. Spells would be necromancy and reflavoured evocation spells if you were going for thematics.
>>
>>52126657
Did you roll that? Seems fine, though you'll want to be pumping up charisma.
>>
>>52126672

I rolled it yeah – I'm aware that with like, a Half-Elf and going for like a rapier, it'd make for a stronger character, but fuck it. I love the flavour too much.
>>
>>52126699
I mean, Stone's Endurance is pretty good. You'd be sitting on an average or 10.5 more effective HP per short rest with those stats.
>>
File: saveordie.png (20KB, 283x74px) Image search: [Google]
saveordie.png
20KB, 283x74px
How much damage is this equivalent to?
>>
>>52126746
presumably, the amount of health the target had at the time they failed the save?
>>
>>52126746
dunno but creatures all the way down to CR 2 have instant 0hp effects like that
>>
>>52126822
Doing the math, the Sea Hag would only be CR1 without the instant down ability. Assuming the death gaze goes off once, it'd have to be equivalent to 40 or more damage. Probably based on the expected HP of a PC at that level.
>>
>>52127025
Good catch.

Of course, coven sea hags are not only dope as hell and relatively tough casters (compare to much higher CR drow mages, regular mages, etc) but also very low CR for their power.
>>
>>52127068
Well, the low CR balances out because you'll be designing an encounter with at least three hags, which will contribute a good bit to the difficulty before adding in minions.
>>
File: Jinnai.jpg (10KB, 250x493px) Image search: [Google]
Jinnai.jpg
10KB, 250x493px
Going for themed cantrips for my Bard. Thoughts?

>If the DM allows for Firebolt as Thunderbolt

>Thunderclap
>Light

Magic Initiate Sorcerer (Vhuman)
>Booming Blade
>Firebolt (Changed to Thunder damage)
>Shield

>If the DM doesn't allow for Firebolt as Thunderbolt

>Prestidigitation
>Light

Magic Initiate Sorcerer (Vhuman)
>Green Flame Blade
>Firebolt
>Shield

Ideally I'm going for your typical weeb character who cuts things with a sword from far away, and I'd prefer Thunder for it since I think it fits better than Fire slashes.
>>
File: 1431920567160 (2).jpg (46KB, 376x394px) Image search: [Google]
1431920567160 (2).jpg
46KB, 376x394px
>open mega trove
>download all
>you've reached your MEGAâ„¢ download cap, please wait a year to download the next of the 3 parts
>>
>>52125286
Well what happens to the faithless or untrue then?
>>
>>52127548
IIRC only the biggest of all dicks still get slapped into the wall of bullshit.
>>
>>52125286
>Souls that are unclaimed by the servants of the gods are judged by Kelemvor, who decides the fate of each one. Some are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust. The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself.
>>
does casting dnd spells make it so they disappear from your mind in lore anymore or have they retcon'd it away?
>>
>>52127498
Actually I typed all that garbage out and forgot the point I was getting at.

Character is a Lore Bard. Assuming I'm not actively trying to facetank would that let me be passable in damage so I can save spell slots for support and utility?
>>
Having come across the disgusting power spike of moon druids at low levels, their uneven progression through the rest and their limited and limiting selection of forms (not everyone likes dinosaurs in their campaigns...), I seek to fix things. What would you say to the following:
1) From levels 2 to 5, the maximum allowed wildshape CR is level/2, rounded down, afterwards level/3 as usual.
2) When a druid wildshapes into a beast with a CR lower than her allowed maximum, she increases the beasts proficiency bonus by 1 for each CR step.

Delayed power spiking at low levels, increased usefulness at higher ones. All in all, a flattened power curve. What do you say?
>>
>>52125286
People without deities are still tortured for all eternity. I am 99.9% sure that "faithless" is code for "not having deity," same as its ever been.

Its basically a way to stick it to people who don't like religious characters, or who don't like FR deities, etc.
>>
>>52125880
Thing is that 60% of the paladin's spell list requires concentration. All of their spells are competing for it at all times. Out of the 40% that don't require it, maybe half are worth or possible to cast mid-combat. What if I specified the item can only concentrate on those smite spells that are barely ever used anyway?
>>
>>52127652
>1) From levels 2 to 5, the maximum allowed wildshape CR is level/4*
>>
What's a good instrument for an arabic/egyptian/african themed PC?

Could always just be generic and go Lute
>>
>>52127998
bongos
>>
>>52124457
Sand niggers
>>
>>52127764
Yeah, I'm playing a paladin in a game currently so I definitely understand the "what do I concentrate on" dilemma. It might not be that big of a deal actually because of action economy, and the item's concentration bonus isn't that great anyway, so on second thought it's probably fine.
>>
>>52124443
the fuck have you been listening to beck too much or something
>>
>>52127998
I could tell you African instruments, Arabic instruments or Egyptian instruments. But not instruments that suit all three.

Arabs and Egyptians have their own variants of lutes though.
>>
For what she is, Tiamat doesn't seem to be well designed at all. Especially considering her lack of spellcasting.
>>
>>52128072
>doesn't seem to be well designed at all
welcome to that entire campaign.
>>
>>52128072
I think they didn't wanted to overwhelm DMs with a plethora of attacks, legendary actions AND spells. She's obviously able to cast, but that stat sheet merely reflects what she would normally use in battle. Her breath weapons are generally enough to wreck whatever's in her way, and Divine Word is a great way to break that unconscious-healed cycle.
>>
Anyone here planning to do scans of Tales from the Yawning Portal when it's released? I know it normally takes a while for someone to do it and I live in a shithole where I need to import D&D products so I'm hoping one gets done quickly.
>>
>>52128060
To be honest I'm going for a mishmash of desert cultures, probably going to go for some kind of Egyptian theme for clothing and such (Wearing a lot of bundled clothes since as far as they're concerned it's FUCKING COLD in generic fantasy Europe) but more of a generalist African look for the character themselves.

Would Dredlocks be fitting for a desert-themed character or is that more of an islander thing?
>>
>>52128145
How do you pull that weapon from its sheath?
>>
>The name of the god of death is long forgotten, but she is called the Raven Queen. She is the spinner of fate and the patron of winter. She marks the end of each mortal life, and mourners call upon her during funeral rites, in the hope that she will guard the departed from the curse of undeath. She expects her followers to abide by these commandments:

>Hold no pity for those who suffer and die, for death is the natural end of life.
>Bring down the proud who try to cast off the chains of fate. As the instrument of the Raven Queen, you must punish hubris where you find it.
>Watch for the cults of Orcus and stamp them out whenever they arise. The Demon Prince of the Undead seeks to claim the Raven Queen's throne.

How would I make a cleric/paladin for this deity and not have the other people in my group hate me for not saving them if they're dying
>>
File: Capture.png (464KB, 412x450px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
464KB, 412x450px
>>52128152
Usually the brass part is open on the back with a clasp at the top to keep it from wiggling around.
>>
>>52128152
Dreadlocks have been found in all cultures, from India to Celtic Britain to Egyptians.
>>
>>52128169
Hah! Never would have even thought of that.
>>
>>52128153
The Raven Queen is not again spells like Revivify or Raise Dead, for it is in the fate of certain creatures to be in danger and dying several times and still be brought back. She is against undeath most of all, or those who unnaturally prolong their life through spells or potions.
>>
>>52128153
You don't. The raven queen is pure cancer. Try importing Wee Jas or even Nerull instead.
>>
>>52128096
Is the campaign really that bad?

>>52128119
True that, although they still should've included a more complete block, and just have the DM pick and choose which abilities to run in their individual campaigns. In this, it'll also give DMs ideas of how to synergize her abilities.
>>
>>52128153
You'd probably still be fine with healing people and whatnot, you just wouldn't get all choked up about someone actually dying because it must've been fate.
>>
>>52128152
Maybe the sheath is just oversized.
>>
>>52126657
>everything above 10
>"rolled"
>haha hey guys how are my stats haha
>>
Can Aasimar use their mini lay on hands to heal undead?

I mean it doesn't specify a kind of creature so I don't see why not.
>>
>>52126202
tabletopaudio.com
>>
>>52128326
Yep
>>
Joining a game SOONâ„¢ how do I get started?
>>
>>52128642
go to part 1: creating a character in the handbook and read it and consider doing what it says
>>
>>52128642
Have you read the rulebooks?

What level are you starting at? What does your DM allow?
>>
>>52128642

>Read PHB
>Follow character creation rules
>Off you go
>>
So, I'm joining a game with a party setup of a melee cleric, rogue, and a wizard. Should I shore up the frontline as a barbarian, or would it work if I played a lore bard. It;s the cleric's first game as a cleric, so I'm unsure if he'll be okay on the frontlines with only a rogue for melee support.
>>
>>52128642
Focus less on having a minmax fighting machine and think more on RP, you'll be frustrated by the ammount of talking vs the ammount of battles at some times.

Look at backgrounds section
look for some online even (check if the DM allows homebrews first)
choose one that you liked
have fun
>>
>>52128926
You guys really should have a frontliner, maybe even valor bard? I mean, it could work without it, but you guys would need to be really careful in combat, being such a squishy party.
>>
>>52128926

Sword and board fighter would be a solid way to go.
>>
>>52122631
It's literally against the rules to have a starting stat below six.
>>
>>52129007
>It's literally against the rules to have a starting stat below six.
Not true at all.
>>
>>52123395
Have the sea Goddess bless them with alter self and make it so they need to get it refreshed every 12 hours at an altar or by a priest or something. You can have evil Wizards cast dispel magic on them to really screw them over.
>>
>tfw 25 pages of lore for my new game
>it's all just history / timeline and places / culture
>haven't even covered technologies, minerals, and races yet
>>
>>52128997
Are dex-based valor bards a thing? I've wanted to play a Kobold bard for a while now.

>>52128998
They are great, but if I go damage sponge I want to try a naked barbarian, it seems gimmicky enough to keep me interested.
>>
>>52129160
>Are dex-based valor bards a thing?
Why wouldn't they be? You can go rapier and shield, and have a longbow for ranged attacks. With at least 14 Dex and half plate, you can get 19 AC.
>>
>>52128072
I don't see a problem. Gods don't necessarily use cleric spells during fights, anymore than fiends use warlock powers.
>>
>>52129146
Do your players go for that kind of shit? Most wouldn't be interested.
>>
>>52128229

I wasn't really asking what people thought of the stats themselves so much as the distribution desu
>>
>>52129233
Maybe, maybe not. We're doing it over Roll20 so I assume they'll read it eventually between sessions.

It's also going to be an extremely sandboxy, open-ended campaign, so I thought having a lot of info about how shit works everywhere and what things of interest are happening here or there might help them decide where they want to go or what they want to do.

Beyond all that, it's useful to me to get the details of everything down so I can react to anything they come up with more quickly and consistently.
>>
>>52129289
Just so you know, maybe like 1-2 villages plus 1-2 megadungeons is probably all the human brain can comprehend, so anything past that is probably going to only have the same impact.
>>
>>52129289
>I assume they'll read it eventually between sessions.

Oh my sweet summer child
>>
File: WesternMapFINALE.jpg (4MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapFINALE.jpg
4MB, 5000x5000px
>>52129328
>maybe like 1-2 villages
hm
>>
>>52129338
My players refuse to even try to roll history to get intel on ruins and shit even though I've told them that they can roll and I might give them valuable info.
>lol dude who cares just go in and kill the monsters
>walk into a room and look a medusa into the eyes
>omg DM why do you hate me
Fuckers
>>
>>52129373
Oh, at least my players will ask for all of that shit. Fuckers love knowledge skills.
>>
>>52128926
Cleric doesn't really need to be on the frontlines. They're just as fine hanging back and shooting with a bow or something, though that deprives them of a shield. They could simply take shield and a hand crossbow and fire it only once so they don't need to reload it. Or something. Or just use their goddamn cantrips.

The only really melee aspect to Cleric is that they aren't terrible in melee and that they have spirit guardians.

I'd say your party's better off with something that supports ranged combat, such as a warlock for repelling blast. Frontliners are overrated.
>>
>>52129413
>Frontliners are overrated
>every encounter becomes boring as fuck for the DM as the party proceeds to kite all the time
>if the DM throws fast or burrowing stuff that gets through, everyone dies as they're not prepared for melee combat
>>
>>52129475
Nah, they can just throw out burst damage and kill it straight away or use something to stun it or such.

A fast or burrowing creature could ignore the front liner and fuck up the rest of the party in any case, so why is this any different?
>>
While I don't think all skills should be equal (ZERO chance I'm going to even try to make history as valid a pick as stealth and perception), I do want to try to make some other skills more useful.

For traps and secret doors, is there any problem with people using higher of Perception and Investigation, (add Arcana for magic traps) and likewise, is there any problem using highest of Nature and Survival for much of the same things?
>>
>>52129356
point being that fleshing out all of that isn't likely to accomplish much different than fleshing out 1-2 villages
>>
How do we fix Wild Magic Sorcerers? I love the idea of them, but at first glance, Draconic is vastly superior.
>>
>>52129581
No need. Surges are their own reward.
>>
I'm going to give my players some mentors they can learn shit from during downtime.
All the others I got down as they are already established NPCs in the campaign but I can't think of any interesting characters to teach our hunter-ranger anything.
Any fun suggestions for a class/personality combo for a potential mentor?
>>
>>52129560
I've replaced passive perception with a flat 10+INTMOD+WISMOD. Nothing to do with perception proficiency anymore.

You can still use perception for anything that's just 'You need to look carefully' whereas investigation is 'You need to get down and dirty and touch everything up' sort of a thing.
>>
>>52129581
work with your DM to encourage rolling for wild surges more often.
>>
>>52129597
Will you be taking away their mentors once they've learned all that they can?
>>
>>52129627
Nah, they have a lot to teach so they probably won't be able to learn all of their skills anyway.
>>
>>52129597
I'd say an old and wise sort-of-druid who's not really a proper druid (Isn't going to get up on the player's ass for killing wildlife without purpose or anything and none of that wildshaping shit), and actually seems more like a ranger that focuses on magic more than the other aspects of the ranger class.
Then, it'd be easy to have a case where the ranger could save the guy and he'd want to repay the favour.
>>
>>52129670
Sound fitting. The ranger likes his booze and magic mushrooms so maybe I'll throw in a vision quest with the druid fella. Or maybe he likes to brew his own brand of forest-spirits.
>>
>>52129594
>>52129608
Do you think it's enough to roll a d20 for surge every time they cast a spell? Or a d10?
>>
>Testing out Phoenix Sorcerer in a campaign
>Start out level 3 as Variant Human and take Elemental Adept for Fire damage
>Go up against a Banshee in a dungeon
>Activate Mantle of Flame and Scorching Ray that bitch
>All 3 hit, 2 do max damage, the last one does 9
>Add another 9 damage because Mantle
>42 fire damage at level 3 that she couldn't resist
feels fucking good man
>>
>>52129770
meh, lot of rolling. if a player played a wild mage I would simply ask him how often he wants wild surges, and if he said as much as possible I would let him trigger a wild surge each time he casts after having triggered Tides of Chaos
>>
>>52129770
The DM and the player should roll a d20.
If the DM's number is greater, Surge.
>>
Why does Jim Darkmagic only have 16 INT
>>
>>52129413
If your domain adds damage to cantrips use cantrips if it adds damage to melee use melee
>>
File: 1485717170192.gif (471KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1485717170192.gif
471KB, 512x288px
>>52120444
One of my players is trying to romance a pc in my game

He, a Dragonborn Male, is trying to romance a Human, barbarian witch. Who's about 2 feet shorter than him and has a fucked backstory to make her kind of weird.
How do I proceed /5eg/?
>>
>>52129994
If both are comfy, let them.
>>
>>52129994
Do you have it in your heart to deny a man his waifu?
>>
>>52130015
Err. My bad, that girl is an NPC i forgot the N.

She's a witch of a barbarian tribe they're hanging out with now but they tribe hates her because she's a warlock for an "old one" and has to do a lot of sacrificial shit to keep her powers and she's constantly leaking this brackish fluid from her mouth and eyes when she displease the god and shit.

I honestly don't even know how it would physically work.
>>
>>52130050
>I honestly don't even know how it would physically work.
http://www.reptileexpert.co.uk/reptile-mating-rituals.html
>>
>>52129972
Isn't he a Warlock?
>>
>>52129993
Nothing adds damage to melee
Only both melee AND ranged

And even then, most of the time the only difference in damage is +DEX/STR mod, assuming you're taking the sensible option of a shield. Except certain levels where the cantrip has an extra d8 the attack doesn't get, in which case the cantrip probably does slightly more damage.
And the cantrip is wis-based.

If you get GFB/BB,then absolutely melee isn't a bad idea.
>>
I'm a bit of an autist, so rather than call the place and ask, can anyone give me the brief rundown of what DnD Encounters are and how they are usually done?

A shop near me hosts bi-weekly Encounters and I just assume they are small, short campaigns with whom ever is going to be playing that night.

Are they with set characters in order to not have leveling issues or are the nights always started with new characters?
>>
>>52128153
>The name of the god of death is long forgotten,
>mourners call upon her during funeral rites

???
>>
>>52130392
not that anon but i would guess they forgot her true name and refer to her by her nickname
Thread posts: 372
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.