[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder General /pfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 373
Thread images: 33

File: making a PC 101.jpg (487KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
making a PC 101.jpg
487KB, 500x730px
Pathfinder General /pfg/

Character Generation Edition!
How do you go about making your characters? Walk us through the process!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: http://pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
PS: Avowed is getting big changes soon(ish).

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#
>>
We were on page 7.
>>
I don't understand concealment! Someone explain it so a retard could get it.
>>
>>52056090
When making a character, I take a tiiiiny thing and extrapolate on it until it makes sense.
>>
>>52056090
Form a concept. Build around the concept. Develop a backstory informed by the build choices. Revise sheet for thematic or flavour improvements.

Works every time.
>>
which dragons2char do you want to see broken
>>
>>52056090
>Vague character concept, either I want to play $CLASS or I want to play $RACE or I want to play $ARCHETYPE
>Okay, what does $CLASS/$RACE/$ARCHETYPE do to shape their skills? What about their personality? How'd they come to be what they are today?
>Rough draft of backstory
>Run backstory by GM
>Rough draft of mechanics
>during above three, look for character art
>Look at what I've done. Does this fit in the game I'm playing in? Does it make thematic sense? Do the mechanics fit the fluff and vice versa?
>Revise as needed
>Drag feet writing full backstory
>Drag feet writing full backstory
>whine about writing full backstory
>Decide I didn't really want to be in that game, anyway/realize the character concept I have in mind doesn't work as well as I thought, anyway/CAN'T FIND A FUCKING PICTURE
>give up
>>
>>52056142
>picture

its so true it hurts
>>
It normally goes one of two ways for me. The first is I have a mechanical concept I want to optimize for, to be the best at, and I build a character around that optimization point. Examples in the past have been Perform (Dance), Diplomacy, Thrown Weapons, Going Fast, and Undead Control. After I find the mechanical parts I see how they fit together into a roughly coherent character, then revise from there. This method generally takes me longer as high end optimization has a lot of back and forth. Most of the time I like to talk through the build with someone as it helps me organize my thoughts. Once the character is roughly coherent I begin revising back numbers to fit the group.

The second way is I simply have a character gimmick or joke I want to build for. Sometimes this is a pun, a funny scene, or even what I considered a "cool" scene. I then bolt on as many flavor appropriate mechanics I can fine. Once I have a complete but dysfunctional character I begin to do trimmings to make them actually effective.

Either way the last step is to revise the character's numbers to be roughly equivalent to the group. If I am defensive focus then having higher defense is fine, or offence, or knowledge skills, or [insert area of specialization here]. Generally it is harder when ALL the numbers are higher.

However it is hard to build a character with others in mind session 0 before I see anything. That's why after session 1 I generally work with the GM on the revisions so as to not be disruptive looking over people's sheets during session.
>>
>>52056090
Firstly, I decide the overarching idea of "what do I want to do, mechanically?"
Maybe I want to learn how guns work, so I'll play a gun-user; maybe the idea of binding is interesting, so I'll play a Medium or a Binder or what-have-you, something that makes deals to get powers.
Then, I decide on a type of character that would be like that; "Well a child of a Chelaxian nobleman would be well-acquainted with magic seals and summoning circles, so she'd learn how to draw something and offer candy to an imp, but accidentally got an Archmage stapled to her soul".
Finally, I combine the two and figure out how to blend the mechanics and the story together; this is where skill ranks, feat choices, personality, and so on come into play.
>>
>>52056090
Method 1
>What kind of build do I want to play?
>What kind of personality would this combination of class, race, etc. have?
>How did this personality come about?
>What kind of characters does this remind me of?
>What parts from them do I like that I can cobble together?
>What sort of backstory, appearance, and personality does this create?
>How can I add a personal touch to this combination?

Method 2
>What kind of schtick/archetype do I want this character to have?
>What characters are already like this, that I like and want to imitate?
>What are the parts of them that I want to use?
>How can I translate those parts into game mechanics?
>Okay, now that I've made a build, how has the character changed?
>How do I fit this character into the campaign setting?
>Time to write the backstory, appearance, and personality out.

And then they both converge at this point for the final step:
>Fffffffuuuuuck, time to go trawling around the internet for some decent character art.
>>
>>52056161
I agree with >>52056192 and >>52056142

Finding art is suffering.
>>
>>52056206
>mfw taught myself very basic Japanese to be able to trawl pixiv better
>>
>>52056192
>when you have to trawl horrifying places like furaffinity because of your choice of races

i pray for death every day.
>>
>>52056224
I mostly stick to gelbooru myself. Sometimes the /tg/booru. Occasionally Deviantart.

Happily, I'm pretty much an image hoarder, so there's a good chance that *something* in my Pictures folder will work...just gotta spend a few hours sifting through them. It's like Legos.
>>
/pfg/ I need you!! Any anon with some photoshop skill can help me edit a char pic? Please!
>>
>>52056224
have you ever considered not being a furry
>>
File: funny-pictures-auto-486459.jpg (93KB, 600x494px) Image search: [Google]
funny-pictures-auto-486459.jpg
93KB, 600x494px
>>52056237
This.
>>
>>52056242
yeah.
>>
>>52056249
how'd that work for you
>>
What're some relevant gods for a CN character other than Calistria?
>>
>>52056260
it didn't
>>
>>52056264
>>
>>52056264
i dunno i tend not to choose one

not every character is godly.
>>
>>52056264
>Gorum, CN god of war
>Besmara, CN goddess of pirates
>Any of the Eldest, mostly CN
>Gozreh, N god of nature
>Nethys, N god of magic
>A lot of azata empyreal lords, all CG
>Hanspur, CN god of waterways and freedom
>Groetus, CN god of madmen and the apocalypse
>Brigh, N goddess of invention and clockwork
>Gyronna, CE goddess of hags and wronged women
>Milani, CG goddess of rebellion and hope
>>
>>52056288
You're right actually. I really like having a deity to roleplay around and was having trouble finding one that suited, but I'm probably much better off playing a non-worshipper. Thank you.
>>
Avowed things that say "your aether pulse's damage", does that mean the minimum? So like, 4 damage at level 8?
>>
>>52056264
Try seeing if there's a CE or CG god that fits your character's interests or profession, and think about how it might work to be a more casual member of the faith, or to worship your god on your own terms apart from their established cult. Playing a heretic can be fun.
>>
>>52056110
Partial concealment (Like Dim Light) is 20% miss chance. Total concealment (Like darkness or invisibility) is 50% miss chance.
>>
>>52056090
Starjammer when?
>>
What's the easiest way to get an animal companion that isn't a level dip? Is there any way to do it via feats or some such?
>>
>>52056312
context?
>>
>>52056358
Uh, something like Inferno Pulse:
Your aether pulse deals fire damage, and any creature damaged by it must succeed at a Reflex save or be ignited for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum 1). At the start of each of your turns, each creature ignited by you takes fire damage equal to 1/2 your aether pulse's base damage, and each of your opponents adjacent to at least one ignited creature them takes half that damage (no save). Multiple ignitions do not stack (they instead extend the duration that a creature burns for), and a creature can only take damage from ignition once per round, whether or not they themselves are ignited. Whenever one of your allies is adjacent to a creature ignited by your inferno pulse, they gain cold resistance 5. Unlike normal flames, it's difficult to put out these fires. As a standard action, an ignited creature can make another Reflex save against the same save DC to end the burning.Otherwise, they continue to burn for the duration, even if they die or are destroyed before it ends.

>1/2 your aether pulse's base damage

Does that mean 1/2 of the damage aether pulse does before any modifiers at a max result, or 1/2 of the minimum?
>>
>>52056372
Base damage is the number of dice before boosters such as Overcharge Modulation or the Cha/Dex bonus of Barrage.

In other words, say you ignite them at level 12 using a 12d8 Rank 3 Aether Blast: Their fire damage is going to be 6d8: Not 12d8 like the shape.
>>
>>52056382
I see. Got it.
>>
>>52056324
Iunno.

I just made the thread.
>>
File: holly.jpg (16KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
holly.jpg
16KB, 230x300px
>>52056382
It's d6s now.
They nerfed it to compensate for people who max out their dex and use both Overcharge and Steel's Betrayal, since that was letting them kill like, CR+3s with a Barrage or Rounds or Channel, but they also nerfed Overcharge and removed Steel's Betrayal at the same time.

People who didn't take at least one of the two had damage trouble, and now with d6s most of the shapes aren't viable even WITH overcharge.

But yeah it's d6s now.
>>
>>52056405
Don't forget those builds were also using one of the nonstandard races for the damage-bonus their favored class bonus gave them - since most of the others are like "you get 1/4th of a new TRAIT, YAY TRAITS". Not really sure what anyone's supposed to do with Aether Cascade now personally. Maybe kill farmers if the farmers are many levels under you - like, well under half?
>>
>Crimson Throne apps picking up
I'd look forward to it after Dragons but I think it's actually going to close first.
>>
>>52056422
>crimson throne
WHY
THAT STORY IS SO FUCKING BORING
>>
>>52056430
Isn't it usually considered top 3 APs?
>>
>>52056441
Maybe by PFS standards? I dunno
>>
>>52056441
I don't know why, the story is so god damned boring in book 1.
>>
>>52056447
so is RotRL's first two books
>>
File: 1352246376694.jpg (5KB, 200x171px) Image search: [Google]
1352246376694.jpg
5KB, 200x171px
>>52056446
>AP
>PFS standards

Anon, be straight with me, are you literally retarded?
>>
File: i-bought-you-a-necklace.jpg (13KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
i-bought-you-a-necklace.jpg
13KB, 400x298px
>>52056475
>Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Sanctioned Content
>Curse of the Crimson Throne is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild.
>>
How should I play a character if I want to dump cha but make them good looking? Vain and obnoxious?
>>
>>52056514
pretty much, or just totally socially inept
>>
File: killme.jpg (128KB, 1134x635px) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
128KB, 1134x635px
>>52056514
Really hot... But then they open their damn mouth and you go from wanting to stick your dick in to wanting to bash their face in, in about two sentences flat
>>
>>52056500
...you know ever paizo product is PFS sanctioned right?
>>
File: I WANT OUT.jpg (139KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
I WANT OUT.jpg
139KB, 640x360px
>>52056526
holy fuck Aqua is the perfect hot but 0 cha.

But also 0 int
>>
>>52056541
Not all of it.

Synthesists aren't.
>>
>>52056555

>Product

Anon pls.
>>
>>52056526
why not both?
>>
File: vulgar.jpg (102KB, 377x399px) Image search: [Google]
vulgar.jpg
102KB, 377x399px
>>52056541
You've obviously never actually read the rules for pathfinder society have you. You're calling people on retardation, for something you've
NEVER
FUCKING
READ

Fucking bible-belt voters.
>>
>>52056560
>The entire technology guide
>>
The dilemma where you don't want to be human, but a single bonus feat outclasses any a whole pool of racials.
>>
>>52056619
grow a pair.
>>
I really like the interview thing that was done for Aurora, I might do something like that, its interesting.
>>
File: why.jpg (76KB, 361x522px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
76KB, 361x522px
>>52056578
>>52056588

ITT: People not Understanding the difference between Additional Resources, and Sanctioning.

Alright, so, lemme educate you, since it's obvious you've never read the fucking thing.

There are two lists for PFS, the Additional Resources, and the Sanctioned Content list.

Additional Resources are books that have Player Options. Stuff like the Technology Guide (which is legal, btw), the APG, UC, UM, ACG, OA, etc. This is the thing that triggers /pfg/ because it means they can't play a ZS/OD Warder Shota Catfolk Trap. This is the list you two are autistically screeching about.

There's also the Sanctioned Content list. Which says what modules and AP books can be played. All published adventures get considered for sanctioning, and there are plans to sanction all of them, given time.
>>
>>52056578
>>52056588

Also fuck both of you for forcing me to dive into the bowels of the hell-hole that is the PFS ruleset in order to educate you ignorant mother fuckers.
>>
>>52056667
nobody cares anon
>>
>>52056318
What're some decent ways for me to get decent concealment in say, the range of level 9?
>>
>>52056686
Define decent.

A wizard with blur gives you concealment 20%.

Fighting in the dark with people with no darkvision gives concealment.

Fighting blind people gives concealment.
If all you do is pick fight with blind people you'll be good.
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=Concealment&cx=006680642033474972217%3A6zo0hx_wle8#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Concealment&gsc.page=1
>>
>>52056714
Blur works. One last question, what's the best fully mundane 1pp Archer?
>>
>>52056732
Zen Archer
>>
>>52056654
The book itself and some of the archetypes are, but most things are banned from the technology guide. Basically all of the useful stuff except if you want some anti-robot feats is banned.

>Archetypes: all archetypes on pages 12–13 are legal for play, except Cyber-Soldier and Techslinger; Equipment: None of the equipment is legal for play; Feats: all feats on pages 6–7 are legal for play, except craft cybernetics, craft pharmaceutical, craft technological arms and armor, and craft technological item; Misc.: Androffan may not be chosen as a known language. It may only be acquired through a Chronicle sheet; Prestige Class: the Technomancer prestige class is not legal for play; Skills: all skills on page 5 are legal for play, except linguistics (Androffan); Spells: all spells on pages 8–11 are legal for play, except irradiate, memory of function, and recharge.
>>
File: 3IQ.jpg (87KB, 386x335px) Image search: [Google]
3IQ.jpg
87KB, 386x335px
>>52056654
You just admitted not every adventure is currently sanctioned, as an argument against someone claiming
>...you know ever paizo product is PFS sanctioned right?
was wrong.
>>
File: fc6.png (241KB, 680x536px) Image search: [Google]
fc6.png
241KB, 680x536px
>>52056887
>Memory of Function
>Robot Resurrection is banned
>>
I didn't really get spheres until I started thinking about combos today and there's some real neat shit you can do
>>
Heya /pfg/, question for you. I like minmaxing quite a bit, but am concerned on how that affects the party and their fun.

I always start with a cool high concept, then try and optimize the concept the best I can. I integrate the DM early and often, making sure to avoid exploits and get clear rulings on what I plan to do. Most of the time, my characters multiclass heavily because I really enjoy knowing that I'm making something the best it can be.

That said, I started a new campaign yesterday at level 5 and my combat capabilities greatly outclass theirs. As an archer type, I'm outputting pretty constant, reliable damage that the rest of the party can't compete with. I don't like hogging spotlight either in or out of combat, and I'm worried that if I keep going the way I will I'll just continue to grow, and be a murderbot that makes the fights less fun for the group.

Any advice? Should I just tone down my build?
>>
File: failure.jpg (84KB, 403x321px) Image search: [Google]
failure.jpg
84KB, 403x321px
>>52056887
>The entire technology guide

>The book itself and some of the archetypes are, but most things are banned from the technology guide.

Pick one friendo.

>>52056894
>You just admitted not every adventure is currently sanctioned, as an argument against someone claiming

I also said there are plans to sanction every adventure.

That statement is incorrect (and if the anon had actually done their goddamn research), would have said something along the lines of "every product is considered for sanctioning, so bitching about CotC by bringing up PFS is asinine."

Regardless, my post was dedicated to educating your anime-addled brain on how this shit actually functions.

Since you obviously care so much about whether or not anon reads the PFS rules, I wanted to make sure you understand how they work.
>>
>>52057016
As someone with a degree of system mastery it's on you to tone down your optimization. try making weird shit work rather than making something strong
>>
>>52057016
I always start strong and adjust myself down. Having a bad level 1 can bar you off from effective builds, but a good level 1 means you can scale down and take fun feats if you don't need the power.

So if you're you're really worried, scale down. Pick up Weapon Versatility and describe your slashing arrow shots, take Antagonize and taunt your enemies from your sniping spot.
>>
>>52057016
>Any advice? Should I just tone down my build?

Find different things to do rather than just full attacking every thing.

Stop using RS/DA.

Talk to the DM about possibly switching around your PC so you're a better team player.

The list of options goes on; you're only a fun-destroying murderbot if you play the PC that way.
>>
>>52057027
This entire post started with someone calling someone else retarded for saying an AP was in PFS.

I'm not sure how you fuckwits descended into arguing whether or not things are sanctioned, but it seems to have been as a result of
>>52056541
defending
>>52056475 (likely himself)
from
>>52056500

Now can we get back to arguing over waifus instead of whether the worst roleplaying society on the fucking planet has allowed their own materials or not?
>>
>>52057059
Which waifu do you want to make cry anon
>>
File: CqZuPswVYAEkFCy.jpg (115KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CqZuPswVYAEkFCy.jpg
115KB, 1080x1080px
>>52057114
How about this one, anon?
>>
>>52057033
Thank you. Truth be told most of my experience is in 3.5 and this is my first PF character so I wasn't quite sure how I'd hit on the mark, especially since this DM has run previous games with the rest of the group. It started out as a weird thing (Archer from F/SN) then kinda grew from there.
>>52057048
I'll try and go for this approach; called shots seem pretty neat and a way to be relevant without being overpowered in the party. I'll poke around to see what other more creative ways I can tackle combat.
>>52057056
I actually already pulled DA from my build, replaced it with two crafting feats to help make items for the group. I'm also focusing on using ally-boosting maneuvers and buffs on the rest of the party, yet it seems like since the DM is aware of what I'm able to do he's balancing the encounters accordingly. In the last fight, I was disposed for a few rounds and had to tree token and snipe from unoptimal ranges in order to do combat; even with me dropping people each round we came very close to having a few deaths just due to the sheer strength of the enemies.

It feels like I'm in a bit of an arms race with the DM, where he wants to make sure I feel challenged but that in turn requires me to FA most of the rounds. Like you said, I think I'll ask him to tone down stuff and continue to specialize a bit more in 'interesting' standard actions rather than FAs.

Thank you very much for your advice, anon! This really clears up what I should do.
>>
>>52057136
3dpd

I prefer my waifus in a textual format
>>
>>52057169
How obscene
>>
Are there items that give *different* stat bonuses? Like, is there a belt that gives +6 CON, +4 DEX and +2 STR or other such combinations? Like, I don't really need +6 strength, but +2 wouldn't be bad.
>>
>>52057243
I believe that the multistat belts are all priced using the Combining Magic Items rules.

I think it's all effects except the most expensive are 50% more expensive?
>>
>>52056090
Generally I start with a singular core concept. Could be "he likes to bake" or could be "I've never specialized in fear spells, I'll try that."

Next I try to find the most convincing reason for this. Anyone can enjoy baking, it doesn't require justification, but adding that in makes the character feel more like a living breathing person.

Lastly there's the fault. This can be an actual fault, like being overly stubborn or prejudiced or anything like that. Alternatively it could be a past mistake, or an unfortunate disaster. Usually the fault drives them to adventure.

Lastly lastly, fill in the blanks. If I made good choices in all the above steps there should be very few blanks. Never go with the first answer, it makes characters feel like shallow clichés. I actually feel like giving and example in a little while, after I make some food.
>>
File: confused anime girl 2.png (171KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
confused anime girl 2.png
171KB, 374x347px
>review anon last threaddeducted points for using a macguffin quest
>>
I will be running a Spheres of Might playtest game once the full playtest is released. However, I would like for potential players to contact me even before then.

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71197/spheres-of-might-unofficial-playtest-the-harrowing-modified
>>
>>52057434
This'll you be fun. Step one I to start with a core concept. Let's call him a compulsive gambler and a complete cheater. He will take a fun risk over a certain thing, even in a life or death situation. He cheats using illusions and enchantments, and he's a wizard.

Step two is the justification. The easy thing would be to say he's just an asshole, or feeding an addiction, or owes a debt, but never go for the first thing. Let's say he's a Gnome, and he's particularly terrified of the bleaching. He'll do anything to keep his life interesting and new, even if it means exploiting those around him or risking his safety.

And the fault. This is awkward because step 2 makes a decent fault anyways. More faults are fun though, so lets go. He doesn't make friends because getting sad when he inevitably has to leave them to pursue new fun things risks bringing himself closer to the bleaching. This gives him a sort of disconnect that makes cheating people easier, morally.

The blanks now... He completely dodged schooling, opting into magical school instead. He was a regular Fred-and-George, and was booted out soon. He lever learned many schools of magic because of this. The rest of his skills are learned through practice and application, so he's always testing out new tricks. He fled from home, it was too familiar and that risks bleaching. He has spoken to his family or childhood friends in years because of this. The more rediculous, impossible, or exotic the task, the more likely he is to take it on. This makes him easy to add into any adventure, and work with any party.

How's that?
>>
Completely hypothetically, but

What's the next group of class templates y'all would like to see? What about archetypes, class options (stalker arts, rogue talents, etc.), and other such things?
>>
>>52057879
More to do with alchemy that isn't just normal spellcasting with different fluff.

Some form of mundane medicine that can compete with at least low level spellcasting. At present the best you can do is give someone 2xHD healing over a full day.

Specialized spirit binding, almost like a warlock.
>>
>>52057580
>The aesthetic under which I GM places a heavy emphasis on cute anime girls, as well as cute and effeminate anime boys. To that end, you can safely expect all humanoid-shaped NPCs to be cute anime girls and cute and effeminate anime boys, and for many monsters to take on the appearances of cute anime monstergirls and cute and effeminate anime monsterboys. I would like for all players to create PCs who are, in fact, cute anime girls or cute and effeminate anime boys.
>>
>>52056405
>>52056417
Calculate DPR for reasonable optimization floor - ie without FCBs or damnation feats or other things - and show how it holds up.

You don't convince people that numbers are too low just by saying it feels too low, you do it by getting hard data.
>>
>>52057947
This surprises nobody.
I think touhou has advertised their campaign well and anyone who joins it will do it entirely aware of what they're getting into.
>>
>>52057947
At least they made it clear AND they said ecchi will be the lewdest it gets.
>>
>Reading the Reviewanon's criteria for quality has made me rethink my app

NOOOO!
>>
File: ronnie chillin with his bitch.jpg (72KB, 635x476px) Image search: [Google]
ronnie chillin with his bitch.jpg
72KB, 635x476px
>>52056206
>>52056150
And that's why I decided to learn how to draw my own goddamn stuff. Fuck searching google for hours on end for a single piece of art that /kind of/ fits what I have in mind.
>>
>>52058117
I like of like the challenge.

Also I have IRL DEX 6.
>>
>>52058117
I draw most of my characters.
It takes a while and what it's led to is that for oneshots or applications for bigger campaigns where I might not get in, and I therefore don't feel like drawing, I end up with way higher standards because I'm too used to pictures fitting exactly.
>>
I'm in a level 1 3-man group with a warpriest and a synthesist summoner

What should I play? I figure tier 3 is where I should aim
>>
>>52058173
Occultist, Alchemist or Investigator.
Rounds off the group perfectly.
>>
>>52058141
I've found that you kind of need to put limits on yourself if you don't want to go insane when drawing your stuff. For example, as my personal rule; I'll will only make a token, a portrait, and maybe like 3-4 icons for r20 macros. Nothing more, because otherwise I get fucking addicted to drawing piles upon piles of shit of something I may not even be able to play for very long and it just consumes my life.
>>
>>52058052
My app isn't even done, glad they didn't do mine.
>>
>>52057947

To be clear, "cute anime girls" and "cute and effeminate anime boys" do not necessarily mean characters who are in their race's equivalent of 14 or less years. It can certainly include characters in their race's equivalent of 15 or more years, possibly even buxom anime girls.
>>
>>52058187
That makes sense but then I made a really nice lineup of all the full character portraits I've drawn and now I try and draw new characters full body when I can so I can add them to it.

It's a hell I created for myself.
Especially because I love playing characters with familiars/companions/cohorts or dual identities so I have to draw two things for each
>>
>>52058042
Oh, so you mean exactly the thing people criticize "lewd" games for?
>>
>>52058207
I like to draw full-body shots as tokens personally, to emulate a physical one. I use portraits for stuff like mythweavers, and to do the same thing you do: stockpile that shit into a huge goddamn gallery.

I think any drawfag will agree that the real hole with no escape to fall into is when you start drawing other people's characters. Shit is just a bad idea a lot of the time, but m-muh gratitude.
The worst part is that I find myself doing it more often than I care to admit, even though I really shouldn't.

I gotta start monetizing this shit someday.
>>
File: 1430059083106.jpg (56KB, 313x254px) Image search: [Google]
1430059083106.jpg
56KB, 313x254px
>>52056142

>mfw that's me, to a T

Finding art is easy, writing the mechanics can be dry, but it's easy.

Actually committing and writing out the full backstory... God dammit.
>>
>>52058052
Could be worse, he could have shamed your build that took so long to come up with
>>
>>52058224
Hey, sometimes you just want to play out some silly anime hijinks while also mentioning your character is stacked or a trap. Nothing wrong with it as long as people are still putting their effort into it and having fun. If you want to play with mature and realistic erotica then this is probably not for you.
>>
>>52058182
thank you
>>
>>52058173
Dex based class with lots of skills, ask your gm if hes ok with letting you take the trapfinder trait from mummys mask
>>
File: yaguchi's fucking pissed.jpg (58KB, 347x287px) Image search: [Google]
yaguchi's fucking pissed.jpg
58KB, 347x287px
>>52058264
This, god fucking damnit it makes me so mad at myself.
The day I come up with the character concept; I get really in the mood and start writing up a huge extended backstory until I can't stay awake anymore, and then next day when I want to finish it off it's like trying to sprint with lead shoes.

Just fuck everything.
>>
Question: I have my old 3.5 core books. Can I still use them as a general baseline for most things?

I ask this because I can't afford a normal PF PHB (it's not officially sold in here at all, I'd have to get it from abroad for like 80 euro) and I don't really have a good way of accessing the SRD during the game, so I'd like to at least be able to improvise off of some PHB/DMG/MM sources.
>>
>>52058355
>Can I still use them as a general baseline for most things
It's a bad idea. I would suggest just printing the pdf, or just printing off a cheat sheet.
>>
>>52058312
I think I'll go dex-investigator with the empiricist archetype
>>
>>52056430

The railroad is real, too.
>>
>>52058315

Get out of my head, man. I can't even commit to writing the backstory unless a fit of drug-induced madness takes hold of me. You've got this concept and you know how their story goes, and if you could actually describe it in voice everything would be fine... But writing it out? No, please, anything but that.
>>
>>52057957
I did a few times. Put it up on here, even, a few threads ago. Here's a newer one with a bit more info/parameters.

http://pastebin.com/1z83GmCz

This is what the damage currently looks like with and without overcharge, for standard single hits (such as what each target in a cascade suffers, or what non-damage-upgraded AoE pulses can do), as well as double hits (including the cascade primary target once upgraded) and barrages.

Only overcharged with an FCB bonus and after taking regular 20/x2 critting into account (proper 95% hit rate DPR) does a three hit barrage attain the ability to kill a CR-2 in a single round. This is a full-round action. An overcharged level 12's blast, wrath or other double-dice types would require a minimum of 2 rounds to even kill CR6s, assuming they fail their saves (CR4 survive if they make it as well).

A completely normal archer-fighter at this level could be doing:
3+Many+Rapid+Haste = 6 shots
+5 Adaptive Longbow (As Large from Lead Bow, or others)
Attack: 12 + 5 DEX + 4 Training (2+gloves) + 5 Enh + 1 haste + 1 focus -4 Deadly Aim = +24
22 with rapid shot online
Damage 2d6+5(STR)+5(Enh)+8(DA)+4(Training) = 2d6+22
Median CR-1 (not even -2) AC = 25, HP 147
Attack Sequence: Hits on 3*2/3/3/8/13. Crits 20/x3 (DPR multiplier on first 3 attacks = 117%
The first three volleys (including the manyshot bonus arrow) already reach 130 DPR, which outpaces an overcharged FCB'd Avowed Barrage, before any consideration or calculation of arrows 5 and 6 (their DPR does in fact allow one to attain CR+1 HPs)
>>
>>52056422
Can you shoot me a link to it, I forgot to bookmark it
>>
>>52058052
It helped me improve Rory's! Now he's not just a shitty memedog-hes a less shitty memedog! Plus I'm thinking of giving him /insatiable greed/ to tie into him living a hard life and savoring every luxury he can.
>>
>>52058577

That's not greed, that's the drawback "hedonism."

He'll knot be wanting for ways to satisfy that craving in the Demesne, though!
>>
>>52058546
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70930/curse-of-the-lazy-throne
>>
>>52058609
Well, they tie into each other very closely, greed and hedonism.
>>
Here's my process.
>Hey GM what classes and races are allowed in this campaign? Thanks.
>Look at party composition. Do we need a melee person? A full caster for stuff? Someone with access to healing?
>Looks like we need a full caster. Sorcerer is nice.
>Look at the bloodlines. Pick draconic because dragons are awesome.
>Pick Green dragon. Take notes on how green dragon blood will affect my player's personality. They will be diplomatic but selfish.
>Shamelessly min/max my stat line.
>Go human since I don't like catfolks nor kobolds.
>Now what is his personality and background? Tribal background. Raised with the ideology about the strength of a pack at every turn. Depends on others, but isn't happy about that.
>How does this affect his spells known?
Wants his pack to be stronger to protect him while also dealing his fair share of damage. Buff/Blaster.
>>
File: 1480135524239.png (327KB, 628x496px) Image search: [Google]
1480135524239.png
327KB, 628x496px
>>52057987
Is this a Touhou game?
>>
>>52058623
Danke
>>
>>52058670

What's gotten Aya so flustered in that image? She's normally calm and collected!
>>
>>52058750
BOC
>>
File: 40549dbc73111baa1e3f43af3689a02e.jpg (582KB, 993x1502px) Image search: [Google]
40549dbc73111baa1e3f43af3689a02e.jpg
582KB, 993x1502px
>>52058750
>>52058776
Bag of Cirnos?
>>
>>52056341
Pick up Nature Soul at 1st level, a filler feat at 3rd, and at 4th, retrain your 3rd level feat into Animal Ally. It'll be weak, but you'll have one if it's that important to you.
>>
>>52058900
BIG
ORC
COCK
>>
>>52058922
Intriguing. Sauce?
>>
>>52058922

Orcs do not exist in Gensokyo!
>>
>>52058942
Where do you think they go after they die?
>>
>>52058958

Hell?
>>
>>52058670
It's a 2hu game. Make sure you optimise if you go for it.
>>
File: 1449445241807.png (75KB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1449445241807.png
75KB, 325x244px
The hour is nigh, it is time to write my backstory.

Should I make it as long as it needs to be, or try and condense the story? There's a lot of parts, and I'm not sure which ones are more important than others.
>>
>>52058977
That's what it says.
>>
>>52058999
Depends. If you're applying to a game, condense it, no one wants to read a novel when they're just considering players. If you're already in a game, separate it into separate portions, and feed it to the GM as you feel certain parts will be relevant.
>>
>>52059055
Separate it into separate things, good job me.
>>
>>52057580
>Hit Points: Take the maximum for your Hit Die at each level. Take the average (including decimals) at each subsequent level, and round down only after adding up all decimals.

I think you made a mistake there.
>>
>>52059109
Wait how's that an error?
Take the average (so 6.5) and only round the fractions down on levels where you're left with a fraction.

It's technically accurate.
>>
>>52059122
er, 6.5 if d12. yay having a touchpad right below the keyboard.
>>
>>52056090
If I cast a maximised version of a spell that continues to do damage for several rounds, is all damage maximised, or just the initial roll?
>>
>>52059179
All of it.
>>
>>52059122
>Take the maximum for your Hit Die at EACH LEVEL.

The first sentence says take max HP at all levels, but the second sentence suggests they meant to say max HP at first level.
>>
>>52059189
Ignore me I missed words on the read not only on the write it seems
>>
>>52056570
Do want.
>>
I'm confused as to how the racial traits work. Take halfling for example. Do you apply all of those traits (standard, defensive, skill, offense, and senses)?
Are they all part of the standard traits?
If you choose an alternate, you replace any one of those traits, right?
>>
>>52059526
You have all of those traits, and alternates replace a specific trait (or traits)
>>
>>52059526
You apply all of those traits
>>
>>52059526
Using halflings as an example: Everything on the pfsrd page until you reach the 'alternate' traits section is stuff you get.

So halflings get the ability score changes, Fearless, Halfling Luck, Surefooted, Weapon Familiarity and Keen Senses.

Alternate traits let you replace things. For example you could take Adaptable Luck. That replaces Halfling Luck. You could instead take Caretaker, but because that replaces Halfling Luck, Sure-Footed and Weapon Familiarity, you could NOT then take Craven, Creepy Doll, Shiftless, or any others that touch those. Pretty sure "replaces lucky" is a typo and refers to halfling luck, by the way.
>>
>>52059526
Yes, you receive everything listed, and can take alternate racial traits at the GM's discretion.
>>
>>52059557
>>52059566
>>52059569
>>52059579
>>52059584
Thanks. Seems I was missing some of that when reading through.
Now my question is if the +1 to Eidolon skills from favored class is useful or not. It sounds like a lot, but just how often are Eidolons using skills rather than attacks?
>>
>>52059618
Depends on what your eidolon actually does. If they natural attack everything? Not very. If they're a sneaky infiltrator? Take it
>>
>>52058355
No. Pathfinder has an annoying number of small, almost insignificant changes, so anything you reference 3.5 books for becomes unreliable.
>>
>>52055576
Thanks for reviewing Brejik. It gives me a lot to think about. And sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I was at work when you posted.

I'll be making some changes to Brejik's app over the next couple days to reflect what was pointed out in both reviews.
>>
How much investment does the fly skill need as a general rule?
>>
>>52059880

Enough to meet DC 20 on a nat1 and you're set
>>
Am I retarded for wanting to put all of my points into STR and CON for a level 1 Unchained Fighter?
It just feels right to me.
>>
Are there any good not-shit-Kobolds or other dragon-people 3pp races out there?
I spotted a Dragonkin race on the SRD, but it's horrid.
>>
>>52060041
Worlds of Power has a variant of kobolds that might be what you're looking for.
>>
File: LGVTyIK.jpg (200KB, 1022x732px) Image search: [Google]
LGVTyIK.jpg
200KB, 1022x732px
Don't hide it from me, /pfg/.

Tell me about the time your party founded a guild, company, or secret society.
>>
>>52060041
Wyvaran are a race of dragon-kobolds from Paizo. Medium size, flight, a tail slap and dragon type.
>>
>>52060010
Your character certainly will be.
>>
>>52060113
Isn't 10 INT above average intelligence?
I could've sworn the average stat for a normal person is 8 or 9.
>>
>>52060103
I was gonna found a gang wherein all the members wore bedazzled purple coats before the game went on hiatus.
>>
>>52060122
10 or 11 is average for all stats.
>>
>>52058977
I mean, it's an unofficial playtest for Spheres of Might; optimizing to see what breaks under pressure is ENTIRELY the purpose of it, to gather scientific data.

So, yeah, make sure you optimize.
>>
>>52060122
10.5 is the average stat for human. In theory, anyway, if you look at statted characters(and even discounting heroic characters), the average will be higher than that.
>>
>>52060103
Tunnel Snakes Rule!
>>
>Hey guys let's run a T3-4 campaign!
>Sure!
>Hey, can I play a sorcerer?
>Sure!
>Wait, GM, isn't that a T2 class?
>It's fiiiiiiiiiine
>Can I play a summoner then?
>No that's a T2 class
what just happened
>>
>>52060010
Anon, you're going to get shredded to bits the first time a spell comes your way.
>>
>>52060217
So, should I do an even spread of STR, CON and WIS or what?
I've never really played anything other than SAD fullcasters before.
>>
>>52060198
To give your GM some credit, Sorcerer is far easier to play down than a Summoner. Summoners have an entire class built around having an extremely powerful spell as a spammable SLA (ON TOP of having a pocket fighter) that rockets their power up. Sorcerers have to actively build towards that kind of power.
>>
File: 1386056693173.gif (3MB, 370x208px) Image search: [Google]
1386056693173.gif
3MB, 370x208px
Requesting someone to get Kineticists of Porphyra 4 for our Pirate Trove, please. I'm not sure if it's a worthy buy for myself since I don't know what's in it, but if an anon is willing to make other anon's happy I hope they'll know how thankful we all are and how much we love them.
>>
>>52060228
What's your damn point buy?
Otherwise look for something along the lines of.
18 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha.

Drop Cha and Int as appropriate for more points and your character.
>>
Of the "mundane martial" classes, which one has a good balance of being a frontliner but also out-of-combat utility?
3pp is fine so long as it's stuff like Broken Shackles.
I'm thinking Unchained Fighter is the winner here, right?
>>
>>52060198
I ban non-synth summoners on the grounds of "Total fucking nightmare". How come they can't streamline it into like, more attack forms, temporary HP, and an aura that makes enemies be flanked, all fluffed as your summoned beings?
>>
>>52060271
20PB.
Probably playing a human, haven't decided yet.
That stat spread looks... I dunno, it feels like the +1 to DEX and WIS aren't doing much. I must be dumb. Just seems like having more HP would let me win fights that I would otherwise go unconscious in.
>>
>>52060279
Slayer.
>>
>>52056090
I'm making a dungeon that's meant to be a home for a large colony of elves. They should be self-sufficient and not have needed much contact with the outside world. What sort of sections should the dungeon contain? I've already got living quarters, an area for guards, a kitchen/dining hall, a library, and a place of worship. What other zones would dungeon elves build into their dungeon?
>>
>>52060309
One of the most overlooked areas of a dungeon that has humanoids actually living in it fulltime is the bathroom.
They gotta shit and wash somewhere, you know.
>>
>>52060198
Yeah, as >>52060236 and >>52060293 say, the power of the summoner is the inherent action economy fuckery. The discounted spell levels are strong as well, but you'll note that the Monster Tactician Inquisitor is T2 because it gets that same fuckery.
>>
>>52060298
Could you elaborate on what exactly makes Slayer so good?
>>
Is there any archetype with the same flavor as the True Primitive? Perhaps with a few bonus feats?

Should I just take levels in fighter to make the build work at a reasonable level?
>>
>>52060336
I thought the t2ness of the Summoner came from discounted spells and gate at will?
>>
>>52060309
Where-ever they grow the lichen food or whatever
>>
>>52060293
Because that sounds fucking retarded.

Summoned creatures are only cumbersome in the hands of a bad player. A good player is ready to go when he summons things and doesn't grind his turns to a halt.

Heck even if you for some reason ban electronic rollers (why would you?) you can make it work if you just have all the stats down and ready to go and roll in quick succession.

The issue is most players can barely calculate their to hit let alone actually play the game.
>>
>>52060367
That helps it, but the MAIN thing is the fact that it has a better version of Summon Monster (standard action, minutes/level instead of rounds/level), which it then gets a fuckton of uses of per day separate from its spells, and that it then ALSO automatically scales up to the best version a wizard could have at a given level.

And this is intended to be the summoner's "backup" for if its Eidolon isn't out.
>>
>>52060327
I've already got bathrooms, actually. Been making sure each floor has one or two. These are elves, after all, not some kind of filthy savages.

But my problem is basically that I've got a lot of space to fill in this dungeon and need to come up with enough to fill it without just having useless rooms. I'm dividing the floors by theme, for example "the library floor" and "the living quarters floor". It's a little less realistic to do it like that, possibly, but I think in the end it will make the dungeon more interesting to explore than if every floor has a small library and some living quarters and a small church and a dining hall, etc.

I need to come up with "themes" for three more floors, though. The full list of what I already have is: guard HQ floor, library floor, housing/residency floor, church floor, and a prison floor. I need fill three more floors, so do you have any ideas that could reasonably fill a whole floor?

>>52060379
Already got that, they grow food in the gardens that are built into their residential area.
>>
>>52060297
+1 to AC and Reflex or +1 to Will is much more important than +1 to Fort and HP as a Fighter given you already have a good Fort progression and a d10.

Yeah, I'd do something like 18 Str; 14 Dex, Con, and Wis; and 10 Int and Cha.

Maybe drop Wis or Dex if you want 12 Int for more skill points.
>>
>Knowledge (All)
This means you have knowledge on basically everything, right?
>>
>>52060498
that means that all the like 12 knowledge skills are class skills but you still have to take each individually
afaik it's not possible to take "knowledge: all" under any circumstance
>>
>>52060498
I'm not sure if you're serious. Knowledge (All) is generally listed in relation to class skills. Knowledge (All) generally means that you have all the knowledge skills as class skills, separately.
>>
>>52056090
>Scour through NPC codex, Adventure Paths/Modules, or the DMG for NPCs to rebuild and re-fluff to my liking.

So far Arcane Pretender and Poisonous Performer have been my favorites.
>>
>>52060518
>12 knowledge skills
Fuck on anon, there are 10 knowledge skills. Take your shit and stay go.
>>
>>52060538
If you're using DSP material you have Knowledge: Psionics and Knowledge: Martial.
>>
>>52060538
You're forgetting Knowledge Martial and Psionics.
>>
>>52060265
Recently shared in the, you know, request thread.

gofile<dot>io/?c=mzGyMl
>>
>>52060555
>>52060563
Take your shit and stay go.
>>
>>52060555
>>52060563
When have either of those skills ever been helpful.

Especially Knowledge:Psionics, I've seen it come up all of once, even in games where Psionics were allowed and over half the PC's were Psionic.
>>
>>52060103

In my 4e game, we had to masquerade as a troupe of minstrels.

Later, we had to masquerade as mercenaries.

We kept the same name.

The enemy knew us as The Brindol Four early on in the campaign. Months later, they're calling us the Minstrels of Icarus von Penderschmeldt.

They know our actual names, but this has been extremely confusing for them as every villain inevitably shouts ICARUS!!!!! at us during climactic moments, assuming whoever is doing the big heroism at any particular moment is Icarus, since we picked up two followers and they don't know our faces.
>>
>>52060574
>He doesn't like Psionics
No, you take YOUR shit and fuck off to somewhere else.
>>
>>52060587
How many times have you seen History or Geography come up? Or Nobility?
>>
>>52060602
>making me have to lug around ANOTHER fucking knowledge skill
No fuck off. There are already too many. This is why we have bards, fuck.

>>52060604
>doesn't have History/Geography/Nobility come up
Shit GM detected, at least one of these should be useful for any game.
>>
>>52060604
Geography and Nobility? A reasonable amount.

History, rarely.
>>
>>52060624
Who doesn't have history come up? History is always pretty important in my games.

Whether Nobility or Geography is important generally comes down to whether you're city or travel based.
>>
>>52060621
To be fair, Knowledge Psionics really doesn't come up all that often. Even in games that allow Psionics.
>>
>>52060621
>Shit GM for not utilizing certain knowledge skills
>but not utilizing this other knowledge skill means it's unnecessary

shitter detected
>>
>>52060640
>ask GM if I can use History on this old city of full of undead
>"No, it's too old"

okay
>>
>>52060661
Tell me about your compelling game that doesn't ever require knowing about:
>the past
>authority figures
>the world around you
But requires you to know about:
>brain wizards
>>
>>52060670
Yeah that means the GM is a shit head. Heck just put the DC as high.
>>
>>52060684
Anything in Dark Sun
>>
>>52060349
There's not much to it. They have good combat abilities and feats for days to handle the fighting and a shit-ton of skills to handle the non-combat stuff. Need spells? There's an archetype for that. Need leadership? There's an archetype for that. Couple that with the fact that it's nearly impossible to build a bad slayer and it's a no-brainer for an all-around type class.
>>
>>52060711
>geography
>not fucking required in Dark Sun
What? I mean sure if you like being dead.
>>
>>52060684
>setting has a fuckload of brain wizards and psionic creatures in it
>GM has you roll to know about brain wizards and psionic creatures
>???
>Conglaturations you're rolling to know about them

Wow would you look at that, it's almost like it varies from game to game and setting to setting how useful knowledge skills are!

>>52060720
It's almost like it's not "look at these other useless skills", but in fact "look at these other skills that most people ignore and dismiss"
>>
>>52060720
>>52060684
>>52060711
It's a shitty dichotomy anyway. What knowledge skills are "valuable" is going to very from campaign to campaign.
>>
>>52060728
>this game is about brain wizards on a featureless plane that has no society or history to speak of
That doesn't sound very compelling.
>>
>>52060748
You're making a retarded fucking argument.\

Knowledge Psionics or Martial being worthwhile knowledge skills has no bearing on weather or no Geography or Nobility is still relavent.

IT
DEPENDS
ON
THE
CAMPAIGN
>>
>>52060642
If you're in a game with Psionics it should be used approximately as often as Knowledge Arcana is used in a game with standard casters.
>>
>>52060775
>>52060748
Also, there are other party members that can and should take up some knowledge skills so one fucking person doesn't have to shoulder them all. Even as an Int based class trying to fill them all out is going to be a hassle, especially if you want some skills for flavor/basic mobility.
>>
>>52060775
I mean it kind of does have a point, since you have a limited amount of skill points to put into your knowledge skills, that being said he's still making a dumb arguement
>>
>>52060785
See that's ideal, but there aren't a lot of places to draw Psionic monsters and NPC's from.
>>
>>52060775
I'm saying knowledge bloat is shit and should stay go. Fuck off.
>>
>>52060826
whats the alternative
>>
>>52060839
Knowledge (psionics) is already rendered redundant by knowledge (arcana) due to the magic-psionics transparency rules. Knowledge (martial) is pretty much a useless skill. The alternative is to not even have these skills adding to the bloat.
>>
>>52060839
Consolidating skills would be the easiest. The number of skills is already large enough a party of 4 can not cover all the bases, especially a party with a Cleric, Sorcerer, or Fighter.

I actually generally combine History and Nobility. I roll Knowledge (Grography) into Survival. Spellcraft gets rolled into Knowledge (Arcana). I push together Religion and Planes. Engineering & Dungeoneering combine. Swim, Climb, and Acrobatics become one skill. I do a few more besides this, but these are examples.

Consolidating skills makes life a lot easier on parties with less than 5 members.

Because otherwise it turns into "We need to know what that is", and going "Well none of you have knowledge (Planes), guess you have no fucking clue".
>>
>>52060873
Martial could be folded into history
>>
>>52060886
Also I agree with >>52060873, put Psionics into Arcana. Put Martial into Profession (Soldier) for identifying mundane disciplines & tactics, Knowledge (History) for knowing about historical battles, and knowledge (arcana) for Su disciplines.
>>
>>52060886
I've considered adding in a Knowledge (Occult) for abberations, haunts, and other such things, merging nobility and local, geography and nature, merging Survival and Handle Animal, making Climb/Swim/Ride a part of a skill called "Athletics" and splitting perception into Spot and Listen
>>
>>52060891
It's a combination of Profession (Soldier), for tactics, and Knowledge (History), for historic battles and warriors. Identifying maneuvers should honestly be split between Su and Ex disciplines with Ex being Profession (Soldier) and Su being Knowledge (Arcana).
>>
>>52060930
>splitting Perception into Spot and Listen

god whyyyyyyy, WHYYYYY
>>
>>52060886
One issue with consolidating skills, especially the knowledge skills, is that it really steps on the toes of classes like the bard that are supposed to excel at having access to a panoply of skills and be able to pull knowledge out of their asses.
>>
>>52060930
Perception was literally invented by Pathfinder to stop this madness anon, why would you ever want to go back?!
>>
>>52060945
Bardic Knowledge is the lesser of the two Bard skill monkey class features, versatile performance is a much bigger deal.
>>
>>52060970

Because sometimes you can be good at seeing and not be good at hearing.

:^)
>>
>>52060970
>Hide and move silently
>The good old days
>>
>>52060986
Make it stop
>>
>>52060982
That's a job for situational penalties, not turning one skill that's basically required for all characters into two.
>>
I just had a realization guys. DHB made a dwarf for obvious reason, we all missed it. He doesn't want to ERP so he just make a character no one in their right mind would touch with a 10 foot pole instead of saying "i don't want to erp" like he normally does.
>>
>>52060945
Something I've considered doing is some sort of improvised skills. Knowledge Nature doesn't let you know how to pitch a tent, but you do know which berries are poisonous so you're not totally useless. You can make a Knowledge Nature check in place of a Survival check at, I dunno, half ranks? With a -5 mod?
>>
>>52061020

You think?
>>
>>52061032
Penalty is better than halving. It should probably take longer, too.
>>
>>52060873
>Knowledge (psionics) is already rendered redundant by knowledge (arcana)
By RAW it is not.
>>
I think i'm out of control I'm going too chuuni
>>
File: giph.gif (481KB, 499x290px) Image search: [Google]
giph.gif
481KB, 499x290px
>>52061438

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It just makes it easier to bully you.
>>
Is Unchained Barbarian better than Chained?
Also, is Beast Totem still mandatory or is there an easier option to pounce?
>>
>>52061531
about the same
>>
>>52060449

Sports area?

Place where they keep any livestock?

Non-food crop level?

Crafting and commerce level.
>>
Speaking of barbs...
What was that ridiculously strong level 1 barbarian build people were throwing around some time ago?
It was like... a half-orc with Tribal Scars, Sacred Tattoo, Fate's Favored, and other stuff.
It hit like a truck and had like 25HP.
>>
>>52061531

Unchained just makes for slightly easier bookkeeping, since you don't need to derive stats from rage increasing your ability scores.
>>
>>52061438
You're perfect trust me
>>
>>52061597
It had...
I don't remember exactly, but it was something like
12 from HD
6 from Tribal Scars
3 from CON
1 from favored class
and then something else
That right there is already 22. Maybe it had more CON, I don't recall.
>>
>>52061579
>barbarian is a frontloaded class
gee who would have guessed

>>52061597
12 HD + 3 Con + 1 FCB + 6 Tribal Scars + 2 when raging. I'm off by one but I can believe it.
>>
File: 2016-09-23-025104.jpg (133KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-23-025104.jpg
133KB, 960x544px
>>52061438
No! Anon! Come back!
>>
How many europeans are there at pfg?
>>
>>52061438

Chuuni are made to be bullied, I hope you're ready for that.
>>
>>52061770
like 2 (including you, i assume)
all of them actually have games and stuff to do
its just american neets here
>>
File: vomiting dangit ron pau.png (177KB, 343x341px) Image search: [Google]
vomiting dangit ron pau.png
177KB, 343x341px
>>52061770
Too many.
>>
>>52061790
>>52061789
Hmmm...
>>
>>52061770
Judging by the schedules on the roll20 games that get spammed all over the place, not enough.
>>
>>52061789
Dang
I wish I had pathfinder games for weekdays
But those are impossible with americans
>>
is there any mechanical benefit to do STR-based TWF instead of just 2-handing a big weapon
>>
>>52061858
It is good in unchained action economy
>>
>>52061858
TWF is actually more damage, it's just shit for a dozen other reasons.
>>
>>52061770
I am a Slav so that probably counts. I am also starting most of my games on midnight and finishing them around 4-5 AM.
>>
File: Ti9DrLj.jpg (105KB, 878x730px) Image search: [Google]
Ti9DrLj.jpg
105KB, 878x730px
>>52061531
If you're two-handing like any good, self-respecting barbarian would unchained is pic related.
>>
>>52061770
Many
Too many UK fags though
>>
>>52061924
How come?
>>
>>52061924
I prefer chained more for the fact that you can do a lot more to work with morale bonuses and ability bonuses than with just an untyped bonus to damage. Courageous weapon quality, for example.
>>
>>52061948
You lose 1 point of damage and clearly that can not be borne!
>>
So my DM gave me a free story feat for hooks, and I picked up Unforgotten. Flavor is that a family member got kidnapped but you still remember.

The character is a Nirmathi hunter (profession, not class, that's inquisitor) with a little touch of giant blood and I'm thinking the relative should be his sister. The campaign is probably staying around the Lake Encarthan region, though it may head out to the Inner Sea soon enough. Where's a good place for her to have been kidnapped /to/?
>>
>>52061948
Flat bonus on attack and damage means you do less damage (since the Str boost given by chained barb is multiplied by 1.5x for two-handing).
>>
>>52061531
>Is Unchained Barbarian better than Chained?
Generally worse(albeit not by much), unless you're doing TWF or something.
>>
>>52061930
They all got games?
>>
>>52061948
Because pfg is full of idiots who need the absolute highest damage and to-hit possible, and won't settle for less for no reason in particular.
>>
>>52061981
>Where's a good place for her to have been kidnapped /to/?

Molthune or maybe even Kyonin!
>>
>>52062026
Why should I volunteer to be less effective just to take an option that makes me do less simple as fuck math?

You can't hide behind "muh flavor" for this one.
>>
>>52062026
>Because pfg is full of idiots who need the absolute highest damage and to-hit possible, and won't settle for less for no reason in particular.

Missing your attacks in a round is both mechanically shit and feels shit.
This isn't a mystery.

I don't care about an extra 1 damage though.
>>
>>52062026
>which is better, A or B?
>A does more damage than B
>wow, what an idiot
>>
>>52062061
Unchained did involve the stances tho
Accuracy stance does give attack bonus
>>
>>52061981
I wish more DMs were into story feats.
>>
>>52062044
Because you're playing a character, not a spreadsheet, and exclusively optimal play is boring as fuck.
>>
>>52062038
Kyonin is all the way across Lake Encarthan. Not sure about that. Molthune, maybe.

>>52062099
Yeah, this guy's a blessing. Cannot praise him enough.

Not related to the story feat, could I finesse a large dagger with a -2 penalty or would it just be a shortsword?
>>
>>52062108
Not him and I lean towards Unchained just because I'm lazy about doing math, but an Unchained Barbarian isn't going to have a different flavor from a Chained one that really "makes" that argument.
>>
>>52062108
>stormwind falacy
Fuck off.

Why would you pick an objectively worse option that has absolutely no flavor benefit or alternative mechanic benefit other than being made for people that do math.
>>
>>52062129
Dagger itself isn't finesseable. You can wield it as a one-handed weapon, but finesse is a property of it being a light weapon, which it stops being when it's bumped up a size.
>>
>>52062138
Found the minmaxer
>>
>>52062138
>than being made for people that do math.
*that can't do math
>>
>>52062108
>Because you're playing a character, not a spreadsheet, and exclusively optimal play is boring as fuck.
"Optimal" play doesn't involve barbarians except ones that are multiclassed with Alchemist, so even if you did have a point you'd still be wrong.
>>
>>52062129
Mechanically it would become a shortsword.
>>
>>52062171
--------------->Broader point about min/maxing

Your head
>>
>>52062108
Do you encourage people to play chained monks and rogues in that case, since those are the weaker options and hence apparently more interesting for some reason?
>>
>>52062108
>I don't like doing math so people who can do it must be forcing themselves to do it because they're desperate for power
>>
>>52062197
Anon, you're not explaining yourself at all. You're just putting things out there and assuming everyone will treat them as fact.

Unchained Barbarian doesn't offer any roleplaying advantages over Chained Barbarian at all.
>>
>>52062151
Effortless Lace
>>
>Go to bed
>Wake up
>Curse of the Lazy Throne apps have tripled
Did Dragon Game 2 close?
>>
>>52062151
>>52062176
I had a feeling that would be the answer. Shame, the idea of a big guy using an oversized weapon felt right.

>>52062259
A bit expensive for a sidearm, though I'll consider it.
>>
>>52062280
As a matter of fact, there are still new ones coming in. We've still got a week to go.
>>
>>52062259
Effortless Lace doesn't actually make it finesseable in this case because it's improperly sized for the wielder, it just removes the penalty from the dagger being oversized.
>>
>>52062197
Deliberately choosing the weaker option just because it's weaker is min-maxing with the additional benefit of making you a hipster faggot.
>>
Is there a good computer fillable sheet for Eidolons? So far I've only found ones that need to be printed out.
>>
>>52062281
I'll be honest Anon, the damage die going up as a sidearm isn't your biggest concern when it comes to a dagger. The real damage comes from your modifiers, so if you REALLY want a finessable d6 weapon I'd just forego the dagger in favor of one that's already a d6 at your size category.
>>
People who Unchained Barbarian was made for probably do not care about the slight performance loss anyway
By the end of the day, if you got your 18 STR and stick to swing, you still do good amount of damage
>>
>>52061948
Two-Handing a weapon, on top of increased STR for various effects (such as carrying capacity, Intimidate if you have the feat, and a few other benefits), means that Chained Barbarian's version of Rage is better.
If you're playing something like an Elf or Halfling Barbarian however, or you're playing a dervish-type that uses Two-Weapon-Fighting, then Unchained Barbarian is strictly better because it gives more direct benefits to what you ACTUALLY need.
>>
>>52062206
To be entirely fair to Chained Monk, they get better saves and more archetypes compared to Unchained Monk, although Unchained is much easier to play and more accurate.
>>
>>52056090
Any good images of kitsune bards/enchantresses that work for a PF-setting, apart from the ones already available in blood of beats, etc? Ergo, non-anime, with fox-head, 9 tails, and not too furry-style.
>>
>>52062108
Yes because the flavor between Barbarian and Barbarian is so different right?
>>
>>52062197
Are you fucking retarded? We're literally talking about two versions of the same class. They're the same for roleplaying. He is literally losing nothing in RP potential by being mechanically better.

Nerfing yourself for the exact same flavor is retarded, it doesn't make you a better roleplayer.
>>
>>52062340
Well I'm an inquisitor. I have very few weapon proficiencies, even less since my deity (Skode) overlaps on her favored weapon (longbow). Yeah I could use a light mace, but at that point I think the critical multiplier would make a difference.

And the efficiency of the weapon is secondary. I've been running damage calcs and I do plenty with my primary longbow. A little bit less damage and a little bit more flavor would be preferable. Obviously more of both would be best, but you can't always get what you want.
>>
>>52062448

Of course it can be wildly different.

I could make a loincloth-wearing Kellid asshole in one iteration, and the other is a silver-fox in silks that can "get in the zone" while in the middle of battle, or even a heavily armored shock trooper that lets the blood lust rush over them during a fight.
>>
>>52062507
Anon...
>>
Wait, if I take a level in Lore Warden I have Scholastic. Under Scholastic it says:
>Lore wardens gain 2 additional skill ranks each level.
It doesn't say "each fighter level" or "each lore warden level", just "even level"

Does this mean if I multiclass I still gain those extra two?
>>
>>52062507
And it doesn't matter which one's Chained and which one's Unchained; really, the only class that actually has a difference like that is Summoner, since it changes from "some weird-ass thing from beyond reality answered my call" into "a devil/angel/psychopomp/my ancestor decided to stick around with me".
>>
>>52062507
Anon, Unchained and Chained barbarian can both be all of those things. The framework is THE FUCKING SAME between the two the flavor is THE FUCKING SAME between the two. FUCK
>>
>>52062525
Unless specified otherwise, anything that talks about "your level" in a class means your class level.
>>
File: 1454959865149.gif (1MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1454959865149.gif
1MB, 540x304px
>>52062521

Yes?
>>
>>52062551
Learn to read the room, anon.
>>
>>52062507
>I could make a loincloth-wearing Kellid asshole in one iteration, and the other is a silver-fox in silks that can "get in the zone" while in the middle of battle, or even a heavily armored shock trooper that lets the blood lust rush over them during a fight.
So which is the chained and which is the unchained, and does it matter to your roleplaying if you take one or the other? Please eludicate how?
>>
>>52062549
It doesn't specify 'your level', it just says 'each level'. If it said 'your level' I would say yeah it is referring to your level in that class.
>>
Is it better to get mules, ponies, or horses for carrying stuff, and going around?
>>
>>52062581

I prefer a light, combat trained horse.
>>
>>52062581
Get a Stone Horse.
>>
>>52062581
Mules are fucking cheap compared to horses, that's why I choose them.

Combat Trained Heavy Horse would be the hardiest, but still only has 19hp.
>>
>>52062233
Yeah, I'm bored and thought it'd be funny to rile people up.

I recognize that unchained is just a difference of mechanics rather than flavor, but a class shouldn't be dismissed solely because it has a lower ceiling than another in terms of optimization, it should be considered for each individual character and their needs.

>>52062206
It depends. I could see myself doing it if an option for one of the chained classes works better for the character concept.
>>
>>52062573
He's going to say the second is the Unchained because the bonus isn't to strength. The third can be either one with equal ease.

And no, it doesn't matter, even if he claims it does, thanks to the existence of Urban Barbarian.
>>
>>52062599
>chained rogue
>literally can't even sneak and stab

>chained monk
>isn't the mobile acrobatic warrior it claims to be

There is no character concept where chained monk would work better than unchained monk, excluding things like Zen Archer where the unchained is incompatible.
There is no character concept where the chained rogue would work better than the unchained rogue.
>>
>>52062581

>The mighty mongols conquered the known world riding ponies.
>>
>>52062688
Mongolian horses are not ponies.
>>
>>52062581
A mule is the cheapest up front option, and you generally won't have to worry about food, but it can't carry quite as much as other options. A horse or pony, in comparison, is generally faster, but will require food which, while cheap enough, takes up space.

Ideally you want to train whatever your beast of burden ends up being so it doesn't run away during combat.
>>
>>52062676
What if I WANT to be shit?
>>
>>52062579
It doesn't say 'each character level' you power gaming fuck. Stop being autistic.
>>
>>52062723
Then be a swashbuckler or lay down in front of a monster with the swallow whole ability.

Or both.
>>
>>52062723
If you want to play a bumbling buffoon of a character then you should choose to fail your rolls, so that when needed you can be an asset to your party.
>>
>>52062742
An incompetent Swashbuckler would be pretty fun actually.
>>
>>52062824
That sounds like a cute character. Being incompetent is moe.
>>
>>52062676
those two are not really in the same category as the unchained barb
>>
>>52062824
Is he doing it intentionally or unintentionally, and if unintentionally, is he aware of it or not?
>>
>>52062824
No it would not.

You're playing in the wrong goddamn system for that shit, stop it.
>>
>>52062878
When you fail but things work out anyways, it was just as planned.

When you fail and things don't work out, it was simply impossible.

When you succeed, it was only natural.
>>
File: jack_chibi_by_willdrawforfood.jpg (23KB, 359x350px) Image search: [Google]
jack_chibi_by_willdrawforfood.jpg
23KB, 359x350px
>>52062824
>>52062849
>>52062917
>>
>>52063015
>>52063015
>>52063015
>>52063015
>>52063015
>>
>>52063028
Pass
>>
>>52063028
Yeahhhhh... no.
>>
So I've been looking for Shoanti naming conventions. I have seen that they receive two names. At childhood they receive a personal name, then upon reaching adulthood they receive an adult name. The childhood name they use for family and close friends, the adult name for everyone else.

Are there any examples of these? Shoanti NPCs I can look at for what sort of phrases/sounds they favor in names? Or how they write the Childhood/Adult name, is it hyphenated?
>>
>>52063127
See >>52063137
>>
>>52062962
That's more "failing upwards" than true incompetence, but then again I guess that's probably what people actually meant
>>
>>52063127
Adult names tend to be your stereotypical feather-indian names: two-feathers, dances with eagles.

Childhood names we don't see too much IIRC, I assume they would be fairly similar to the names of the Quahs.

They don't hyphenate, they leave the childhood names behind when they become adults. Only those who knew them as children would know their childhood name.
>>
>>52063190

What did Paizo mean by this?
>>
>>52063190
>>52063161
So Bird-Eater would be an appropriate adult name? I was planning on his name being Berek-Dak, which means "Bird-Eater" is Shoanti, but it seems they just translate their names into Varisian.
>>
Everyone knows a hedonist will typically gravitate towards sex and drugs, as that is the most common vice. However, what other forms of hedonism can we get into, especially in the context of Pathfinder? What sort of magic would a hedonist enjoy? Even if the meal or bedding wouldn't be anything special to a normal adventurer, could a man living in the woods off whatever he could find and sleeping on dirt become a hedonist for a warm meal and a comfy bed? I'm not wanting to go the stereotypical "lol I hire hookers and smoke weed I'm so hedonistic" route for a character, and I'm wondering what fun stuff we can get into with the Hedonistic drawback. What have your characters done to satisfy their hedonism?
>>
>>52063225
Typical noble savage shit. Paizo isn't very self aware about matters that aren't gender identity. What else can you expect from a bunch of white folks, though?
>>
I want to play a Crimson Templar but I have no idea how to go about it. It's asking for Vital Strike and Bastard Sword for entry, but all of its features are asking you to throw in as many attacks as you can get. It also keys off of Charisma, fairly lightly, but all the obvious entries into into it key on Intelligence or Wisdom as mental scores go, excepting maybe Paladin for flavour who really just doesn't seem to benefit it much.

Give me some ideas here /pfg/.
>>
>>52063251
Gambling is a good one. Gambling addition.

>could a man living in the woods off whatever he could find and sleeping on dirt become a hedonist for a warm meal and a comfy bed?
No that's retarded, no more than someone is Hedonistic for a cold glass of water.
>>
>>52063251
Gambling
He doesn't care much about the rewards he has, though he'll always exploit them, he just want the thrill of the change, always looking to feel the sensation of possibly not winning and then pulling through by the skin of his teeth.
>>
>>52063229
Not always. In RotRL, the sheriff is Belor Hemlock, but his brother is Garridan Viskalai, the Shoanti word for Hemlock.
>>
>>52063094
>>52063097

poor taste.
>>
>>52063294
Hemlock is an outcast from his people, mind you. Left the Quah to live la vie Varisian. Also consistency of any kind is sorely lacking whenever Paizo is involved.
>>
>>52063251

Hedonism is more than the pursuit of pleasure, it is the pursuit of an absence of pain.

The classic hedonistic image of a fat man eating grapes while reclining on a sofa reflects this, as the man is intentionally remaining sedentary because movement is a pain.
>>
>>52063292
>>52063293
I'll go with gambling then, though I'll probably sprinkle it in with his great desires for luxury- comfy beds, warm meals, beautiful women, stuff like that. Gambling will be the focus of it.
>>
>>52063339

He's also in love with a whore.

Hemlock's a real piece of work, compare him to the vivid characters built to last in Hell's Rebels.
>>
>>52063339
We don't actually know how he feels about other Shoanti, IIRC, just that he and his brother are feuding.
>>
>>52063342
This actually works great for the character, framing it that way. Living a very hard life and wanting to get away from it makes sense- and if he has to go adventuring to do it, then he can suffer a little now for greater pleasure later. Thanks!
>>
>>52063380
Get rich and retire is one hell of an underrated motivation. One spelunk feeds a family for a year, you know?
>>
>>52063409

Hey now, that's my character motivation too! More specifically, he's got mouths to feed and the money will move them into an even bigger house.
>>
>>52063409
Maybe. However, >hedonist.

He's greedy, and he wants /more/ than he has, because he started from nothing and had to claw his way up, and he's not intent on stopping anytime soon. He /ALWAYS/ wants more. And he can accept a little pain now for a lot of pleasure later.
>>
Down to page 8, now where's the real new thread?
>>
>>52063862
Sadly everyone went to the fetish thread.
>>
>>52063862
Silyl willy,
>>52063028
Is the real thread. Now join us.
>>
>>52063362
>compare him to the vivid characters built to last in Hell's Rebels
Who?
>>
>>52060930
>merging survival and handle animal, two subject that have literally nothing to do with one another.

>adding knowledge occult when arcana and religion already covers that shit.

>merging nobility and local because commoners know shit about nobles and their day to day and vice-versa.

Other than that combining Climb, Swim, and Ride into one skill might be a good idea. I'd like to see that as a Str or Con skill. Should probably put Acrobatics in there too.
>>
>>52062206
Chained Monks actually do a few niche things better than the Unchained Monk, assuming your GM doesn't allow the UC Monk the C Monk's archetypes. For the most part though Unchained is a straight upgrade, don't know why they dropped Will Save progression and not Fortitude when you get immunity to poison/disease anyway.

I don't play many Rogues but maybe there are some niche things they do better than their Unchained Counter part?
>>
>>52056090
>I wonder what I want to play
>I want to play class X and race Y combo
>"Neat. Time to come up with a story and build"
>Thus my character is born
Thread posts: 373
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.