[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 34

File: 1478374835880.jpg (423KB, 600x728px) Image search: [Google]
1478374835880.jpg
423KB, 600x728px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Ravenloft Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Question: What are some homebrew rules or gimmicks you or your DM have implemented to make 5e combat not boring?

>Previous thread >>52039197
>>
>>52047021
Closest we've come to a non-standard combat encounter was one where there were two bosses and killing either would result in the space we were fighting in exploding a couple turns later (which we didn't know but figured out pretty quickly). Kinda wish he'd be a bit more creative with it but oh well. He's good at world building if nothing else.

I want to run a campaign but we have too many ongoing campaigns already. And most have no end in sight, either.
>>
>>52047021
We use this critchart. The DMPC rolled 20 18 20 with a shortbow vs the very first boss.
>>
When an enemy attacks you, you can use your reaction to make a counterattack at the same time using a monk weapon. If you roll higher than then, then they take the damage they would have rolled, plus the difference in your two rolls. If your roll is lower, then you take the increased damage. Recharges on a long rest.

Too powerful? Too vague?
>>
So I'm using Rance VI (names and places modified) as a loose basis for my campaign.

I'm like 90% sure none of my players play any eroge.
>>
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12476406

From barbarians to bards.
>>
File: hero_dmgscreen_0.jpg (886KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
hero_dmgscreen_0.jpg
886KB, 1920x600px
So I guess I posted in the wrong thread.

I have never been a DM before but I plan to run a short session in a few weeks. What would I need besides the adventure itself (I'm going to use one of the AL ones)? I already have some minis to use as monsters and a battlemat (because I really dislike not having one as a player).

Do I need the DM's guide? Or a DM screen?
>>
>>52047229
Depending on the adventure you're running, you may or may not need a monster manual. The DMG isn't required, per say, but has a lot of material to reference if needed and some ideas.

Some of the adventures have guides up on the internet that are worth peeking at.
>>
>>52047229
You don't need a screen. You don't strictly need a DMG but I would recommend it. A Monster Manual is also good.
>>
>>52047229
A screen is a good idea to keep stuff hidden from PCs (like your notes). The DM's Guide is a decent resource but I rarely find myself consulting it during games except for the rare shit like enchanting gear and potion miscibility. PHB is probably more necessary, and Monster Manual definitely.
>>
>>52047229
Do some battles yourself and see how smooth you run it.
>>
>>52047184
>Rance
It was the best of taste, it was the worst of taste.
>>
Does anyone have the way of the knife asshole edit some guy made? Sun Soul with radiant crossed out and replaced with piercing
>>
How do you handle a mexican standoff type situation?

One of my players was nearly cornered by a bunch of guys with fantasy guns last night. He was trying to talk them down, and they were trying to talk him down. In the end, he decided to run.

Naturally, they decide to shoot if he runs. I ask him to roll initiative. He argued that because he runs first, he takes his turn first, and can get behind a corner before they are allowed to shoot.

I thought that was an incorrect interpretation of the rules, so I forced the initiative roll. He rolled poorly, and got hit 3 times by the guns (whose wielders rolled higher initiative, and then made shots at him), but survived.

Was I correct with my rules interpretation?
>>
File: archiving is easy.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
archiving is easy.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>52047450
>>
File: 1479745477424.jpg (84KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1479745477424.jpg
84KB, 774x1032px
>>52047259
>>52047282
>>52047287
So if I look at the adventure before I run it I can just print out any pages I'd need from DM's guide and Monster Manual. I will buy a screen though, seems useful enough.

>>52047301
That seems like a great Idea actually.

Thanks for the input. Have an orc.
>>
>>52047486
>Was I correct with my rules interpretation?

Unquestionably. You don't get to win initiative just because you declare your action first, how ridiculous.
>>
>>52047486
If anything they would have gotten an attack of opportunity pre-combat and THEN rolled for initiative.
>>
File: gosdisgust.gif (2MB, 245x219px) Image search: [Google]
gosdisgust.gif
2MB, 245x219px
I always have such a hard time picking a race and class.

I am leaning towards being a firbolg tempest cleric but that seems weird? I really like firbolgs as a race but I dislike wisdom as a stat because wisdom feels kind of dead compared to str or dex.

I am probably going to do the tempest cleric though. Is that a good choice? I also don't want to be useless to my team though.

My second choice was going to be a halfing but I don't really dig the short races.

So many choices but I feel like so few would be decent. I am fearful of newb traps and other stupid shit where if you don't know about it, it could shit all over your character. Kind of like how beast mast ranger is complete shit or beserker barb.
>>
>>52047492
Thanks m8
>>
>>52047486
Absolutely.

At most, I'd say force them to roll at a disadvantage because the guy is basically dodging. And even then, only if the player made a convincing case regarding diving for cover and and made an acrobatics check.
>>
>>52047486
I avoid them at all costs because they're a huge pain in the ass.
>>
>>52047559
perception is a great stat
wis saves are great
>>
>>52047559
Avoid avatar monk and beastmaster

Everything else in the PHB is passable, though some classes are boring.
>>
>>52047559
Race and class should be unrelated. Not only is it silly to pretend that all societies in a setting don't have all types of people i them, but wven if certain professions are held in esteem, adventurers are not supposed to be the norm. There are gnome soldiers, dwarf thieves, elf sailors. Race doesn't give you all that much and its not a competitive game anyway. If you were at my table and picked something suboptimal for the sale of playing a character i can easily adjust things if need be. This isn't a wargame.
>>
>>52047695
Eh, you don't need a class to be a soldier, criminal, or sailor.
>>
>>52047695

I understand its not a wargame but having +2 to the main stat of a class is pretty strong. It just seems usually too strong to pass up. Especially since you can't really flex class stats anymore. Like every class has one primary stat and then maybe a secondary. you also don't get to start with a 16 if you use the point buy system which means race is what stands between a 15 and a 16 main stat at the start.
>>
>>52047559
>wisdom is worse than strength

It has several relevant related skills and a wis save is one of the most common saves in the game. Clearly you must be lacking in wisdom yourself to think str is more important than wisdom in any sort of a broad sense.
>>
>>52047695
Strictly speaking there's a reason Fighter, Thief and Cleric were universal classes (except in like one setting where Elves didn't have clerics at all in 2e).

Sailor isn't a class, neither is Soldier strictly speaking.
>>
>>52047559
Use one of the UA Rangers paths.
>>
anyone else really bothered by gnomes and halflings being adventures and the like?

I feel like their stature is just too small to be anything OTHER than a caster or ranged character. Like what does a halfling fighter even do? Like yeah mechanically you can do it but its just weird to imagine. Same with gnome.
>>
>>52047931
Sir I'm going to have to ask you to curb your autism.
>>
>>52047931
Many have asked that before, many also learned what getting stabbed in the knee femur and scrotum by a rapier by an angry halfling is like.

Forget the crushing blows, imagine getting stabbed in a vital artery and slowly bleeding out, it's not gonna knock you over but it's gonna kill you.

Plus, it's a fantasy game.
>>
>>52047931
I've had games where the players were 12 year olds and we had a blast. Halflings are fine
>>
How exactly do you RP? I find that I can only RP based on what my character can do? For example, if my character has the knock spell then that opens up RP opportunities when you like unlock a door or whatever.

I find it hard to RP when my character has no out of combat utility. I played a fighter last time with my friends and I didn't really enjoy it. It felt like I was only there to fight stuff which makes sense but what else can I do?

I was going to try sorcerer but people tell me that sorc is kind of shit. You are basically a twinned haste bot or twinned hold person bot.

If you don't take twinned spell as your first metamagic, then you are apparently garbage.

Then I thought about warlock but then again, people tell me that in combat you are basically just a eldritch blast bot and if you don't take the invocations that beef up eldritch blast, then you are shit and worthless.

I just want to play a class but not feel pidgeon holed into playing it a certain way. It feels kind of shit to not take twinned spell as a sorcerer. Its just too good compared to the others.

I considered barbarian too but that class feels probably the most pigeon holey of all. I mean as a barbarian, its pretty straight forward in how you can RP. "I smash blah blah blah."

How the hell do people make characters and not end up hating them?
>>
Is there ever an exception to "max your primary stat first"?
>>
File: giantFrost.jpg (291KB, 1200x1491px) Image search: [Google]
giantFrost.jpg
291KB, 1200x1491px
>>52047931
anyone else really bothered by humans being adventures and the like?

I feel like their stature is just too small to be anything OTHER than a caster or light snack. Like what does a huuman fighter even do? Like yeah mechanically you can do it but its just weird to imagine. Same with ogre.
>>
>>52047931
Anon, the halfling barbarian AARGH in our party is our main damage dealer, and we are having great fun, especially now that his strength got temporarily boosted to 25.

It started as a funny meme character, but now he has just become anger incarnate and just a blast to play with.
>>
>>52047931
yeah, there's a lot that is seemingly disadvantageous about halfling, gnome, dwarf, and female martial adventurers due to smaller reach and mass, especially since they are almost always portrayed as using cutesy, low reach weapons like dwarves with their axes and picks
>>
>>52048027
He's not exactly wrong. I wouldn't stop someone from playing it, but it's weird to imagine a 3 foot tall guy having the same physical strength as even a 5 ft guy.
>>
New dm here and one of my players has been abusing this by using his rogue to steal everything that isn't nailed down. Would this be a way to try and curb this or what are some better ways to do it:
>In the town they're in there is a group of LG rogues that are like peacemakers in the background
>I was thinking about saying that one of the members saw my player steal from people
>That night the member came into the player's tavern room and stole the gold that he stole that day

Am I being that dm?
>>
>>52048174
what age range typically has 3' tall humans?
>>
>>52048164

you missed my point about barb. My point was that as barb.. you only are ever "ARRRGGHH!!!" kind of barb. You can't really do much else.

This leads me to my next point that martial characters have less chances for RP too. Mostly because your utility is combat oriented and generally as a martial, you can't afford to put stat points in CHA or WIS or INT(LOL) because you need other stats first.
>>
File: 1470384422992.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1470384422992.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>Big climactic fight
>Playing a sorcerer
>Enemy has outright immunity to every damage spell I have except disintegration and gets advantage on saving throws

Playing a draconic sorcerer was a mistake.
>>
>>52048185
>"There is nothing of value in this location."
>>
>>52048185
Eventually he will get caught if he does it enough. You could even fudge an NPC's Deception roll to have him get caught sooner rather than later.

Many items are difficult to carry inconspicuously, especially if you're not carrying a huge overloaded backpack around everywhere like a psycho. Whenever the PCs are invited in somewhere, they should either be made to surrender their baggage at the doors or be invited to lay their baggage down somewhere, with a refusal to do so being seen as extremely suspicious.

A lot of goods are distinctive enough to be difficult to fence.

Finally, you could just let it happen. Part of the fun of being a thief is the thievery. Material wealth isn't that big a deal in 5e. If all he's stealing is gold and other mundane goods, he's never going to get overpowered that way.
>>
>>52048185
Allow the Rogue to notice if someone is following him, check his passive perception and roll stealth checks of those following them, then leave a note in the rogue's purse that explains what happened. And further transgressions leads to an empty purse.

This also is a nice plothook if the rogue wants to pick a fight with a dug in Shadow guard.

A good pickpocket isn't only skilled with his fingers, but should know if he is being watched.
>>
>>52048199
At 5 years the average child is 39-48 inches, or 3'3"-4'0".
>>
>>52048248

yup. sorc is complete shit unless you play the UA stone sorc thing. Which is OP as fuck.

Picking a class in DnD is the hardest part because you never know when your class will turn to shit. Level 1 doesn't give you nearly enough intro to your classes because you don't have enough features.

Also, why is multiclassing such shit? It seems like only casters multiclassing into other casters is good.
>>
>>52048091
There's so much more to roleplaying than just mechanics. First, fuck everyone who says you have to play a character a certain way. Second, your personality and class are largely independent.

A barbarian could be a bloodthirsty pitfighter; a reluctant, kindly giant; an honorable servant of the Emperor; a vengeful agent of the revolution; a nice guy with a temper; a tough guy with a soft side etc. etc.

Just because you're not the designated smooth-talker of the group doesn't mean you have no opportunity to RP outside of combat. That's retarded. If you build a well-fleshed out character interacting with the world should be gratifying and engaging regardless of class.
>>
>>52048216

Nah. Rangers are utility kings, even fighters have pretty good skills. Dex is a great skill but even str has its uses.
>>
File: Depression 2.png (181KB, 309x323px) Image search: [Google]
Depression 2.png
181KB, 309x323px
>>52048328
The DM has said the final few fights have enemies that are entirely fire immune and I am a red dragon draconic sorcerer.

I wanted to just pick something thematic for the game but instead, i'm getting fucking screwed.
>>
>>52048328
>Sorcerer is complete shit
It's still a full caster. That's not nothing. The fact that it's outclassed by the Wizard and Bard doesn't make sorcerers literally nonfunctional.
>>
>>52048248
Take pride that the DM knows this and you have been doing so well that he has to nerf you for the other players to feel like they are doing something.
>>
>>52048384
The paladin is the one with a busted ass weapon.Most of the time I throw down an AoE spell or two, twin spell haste on our frontline, and fly around being a pain in the ass with firebolts after that.
>>
>>52048351
No offense but this is entirely predictable, a HUGE proportion of creatures, especially higher level ones, are resistant at least to fire, all kinds of fiends for example, and fiends and red dragons etc. also will attack PCs at any time with zero plausibility concerns.
>>
>>52048091
It sounds like have no imagination.

While that isn't very constructive, if you can't find any single way to get in character for four different classes, it's not the games fault. Your characters can be more than just a sheet of paper with numbers written on it. Try making a person instead of just another PC.

As for getting bored with the characters you make so often, stop making boring characters?
>>
File: Human Variant V222.jpg (96KB, 385x970px) Image search: [Google]
Human Variant V222.jpg
96KB, 385x970px
>>52047021
Opinions on the latest incarnation of the Variant Human V2?

It was originally designed in context of banning getting Feats on 1st level, or alternatively everyone getting feats on 1st level.

I am unsure if Human Adaptability is a strong enough feature to carry this home, really.
>>
>>52048373
>It's still a full caster. That's not nothing.

in the edition with the weakest casters its not nothing but it isn't great
>>
>>52047931
Well, if D&D was realistic, the only suitable adventurers would be male human Fighters, as all other classes are either childish superstition or unsuited for combat and all other races are hideously flawed in comparison to humanity, just as women are worth nothing when compared to men.
>>
>>52048351

yeah the problem is that fire as a damage type has so much shit immune to it that its not even funny. The book doesn't say that though. That is critical info that should be readily available for players.

enemies that are immune to fire are WAY more common than enemies that are immune to all the other types of damage.

>>52048342
Not saying STR and DEX are bad stats. Just saying that str and dex don't offer as much room for RP as INT or WIS or CHA

It also sucks that martial classes have next to no need for INT WIS or CHA and can rarely up those stats to at least try something else flavorful because it does nothing for their class.

Like as a fighter, I would be more concerned with having a high str or dex and decent CON. Where is the room to try int wis or CHA?

need too many stats.
>>
>>52048303
>halflings are dwarfed by 5 year olds

what the FUCK
>>
>>52048402
If you are throwing the haste on a paladin and a barbarian you are still blowing them up, paladin could smite on haste attack doing 20 plus damage and the barbarian can do that as well with rage or weapons, thanks to you the hastes do an extra 40 damage, literally he has to have stuff have advantage and immunity or you are gonna destroy them all.
>>
>>52047220
glamour a best
>>
File: Limstella.png (75KB, 241x217px) Image search: [Google]
Limstella.png
75KB, 241x217px
So, I want to play a Morph from FE7 (pic related), but no race really seems to encompass that kind of fantasy. Any suggestions?

For people who don't know, Morphs are human-like beings created from quintesssence, whose purpose is to go around collecting the quintessence of strong people for crating more morphs for their master.

I guess I could refluff Revenant, but it just doesn't feel right, y'know?
>>
GWM, PAM, SS for fighters I suppose.
>>
>>52048458

but being a haste bot isn't fun. Imagine if he didn't take haste? Twinned haste is like.. THE SORCERER thing to do. Which sucks but thats the truth. Like, I don't even think about using my sorc points for anything other than twinning most of the time.
>>
>>52048501
What other metamagics did you take?
>>
>>52048489
Use that new race from Kaladesh. They sound almost the same.
>>
File: 1429693558582.gif (574KB, 406x334px) Image search: [Google]
1429693558582.gif
574KB, 406x334px
>>52048458
Yeah, now I throw twinned haste on our melee characters and I can't even use my damaging cantrips because my enemies are immune to all of them.

Having lots of fun with that.
>>
Need some ideas for a backstory.
My old character died and I am rolling up a Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 7 (Storm from SCAG) with all thunder and lightning themed spells and a polearm using Booming Blade as a follower of the Lady Istus the goddess of fate.
We are playing HotDQ if that helps! Everything I come up with right now feels too animé tragic. Need ideas!
>>
File: 48.jpg (19KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
48.jpg
19KB, 600x393px
>>52048338
Not him, but this kinda makes me think about Rage. Could I play a Barbarian with an Acolyte Background, probably devoted to some god of war, and fluff rage as "becoming super focused on battle" or something? Some kind of meditary state. "Become one with your weapon" or something of the likes.
>>
>>52048185
>>52048185
Nah, don't do that. Gold isn't a big deal in 5e. Him having it doesn't help the party that much.

Do have consequences. Consequences he can react to, not the auto failure kind.

Have the local thieves guild pay them a visit at night and leave a warning that says play by our rules or else. Not nice LG rogues, career criminals that wouldn't mind having someone as talented as the PC paying dues and taking jobs but won't hesitate to slit some throats if the klepto won't play by company rules. Or maybe skip the recruitment pitch and just give them the "stop hedging in on our territory" threat. If the players all decide to go kill the thieves guild, great. You've got an adventure going. Don't make it easy.

Alternatively, remember that NPCs have agency. There's been an outbreak of crime recently, so the guards are stepping up patrols. People are getting suspicious - they'll hide and secure their valuables. Maybe start throwing in traps. If someone has enough resources (like a noble with a court wizard) you might even see some castings of Alarm. People will be less likely to accept excuses.

Make things harder for him. Don't just cheat him though.
>>
>>52048533
>immune to all of them
Your own damn fault for not taking at least 1 non-fire damaging option.
>>
>>52048533
What do you do in combat, tickle people with Mage Hand?
>>
>>52048489
>>52048520
Seconding this.
>>
>>52048601
Do Acid splash, ray of frost, or poison spray do fire damage? Just checking.

Just because I made a draconic sorcer doesn't mean I picked only fire spells.But the enemies are now resistant to most shit and mostly immune to fire.
>>
>>52048128
>>52048500
forgot to quite
>>
>>52048450
Humans would probably shorter if you're using the common "totally not medieval Europe" setting. Still, they'd be about 5 year old height. A lot buffer, since they have fully developed muscles. Despite all that, it's still pretty weird.
>>
>>52048628
Maybe clarify that sooner so you don't come across as the retard who can only deal a single damage type.
>>
hey. i need some advice. i will have a scene in my next session where the characters (mercenaries in this setting) are sent to a bar where some soldiers of the company they are part of got beat up. Now... under unofficial orders from the lieutenant they must go to the said bar and start trouble and demonstrate that you cannot fuck with the mercenary company. I need some ideas to make this more cool. I need complications to challenge them a little (they are lvl 3).
>>
>>52048520
>>52048622
Sort of. Though, afaik, Morphs aren't vampiric in nature like Aetherborn are, nore do they really have strong or overt emotions or the exceptionally short lifespans aetherborn have.

I might just go with aetherborn a change some things around. Thanks /tg/.
>>
>>52048691
Refluff it, and throw the emotions and lifespan bits out the window for something new. You're not 'stealing' the person's essence or anything and adding it to yourself, right? Instead, you're adding it to some metaphorical or possibly-real 'bag' of the stuff.
>>
Newbie GM is here

Hello, guys. I'm going to make my first game ever, previously i only was a player a few times.

Can you advise any good adventures lvl1 for newbies?
is AL good?
I also found Hoard of the Dragon queen, and kinda liked it, but there are lots of responses that it's not well written and you need to fill lots of gaps yourself

Is there a must-play campaign for a bunch of newbies?
>>
>>52048740
Lost Mines of Phandelver is generally regarded as really good. Tales from the Yawning Portal is also coming out soonish, and it contains the sunless Citadel, which is a classic. Not sure how they're gonna handle the reprint though.
>>
>>52048740
Lost Mines of Philadelphia
>>
>>52048677
1) Make the local tough-guy gang be already hanging out at the bar when they get there.
2) Make an obviously powerful neutral NPC be sitting alone in the middle of the bar. He will ignore everyone unless he is bumped into, in which case he will fight whomever disturbed his me-time.
3) The bartender has his children there. Little moral dilemma for your players.
4) A bar fight is already happening when your players arrive. What the hell is going on?

IDK I'm just spitballing over here.
>>
>>52048677
Bar's actually a front for the biggest, baddest gang in town and they are pissed someone's causing trouble.
>>
>>52048535
Just stay away from tragedy then.

Maybe grows up a farm kid. Around 13 he starts manifesting his storm nonsense and it's making life miserable for his parents ("two weeks ago he almost fried poor Betsy while milking her, and this week he blew up the chicken coup with a thunderclap!"). A devotee of an order of Istus happened to passing through and catches wind of this. Being a pretty big believer in "no coincidences" (goddess of fate and all) he offers to take the kid in, help him manage his powers. Parents agree, happy to not have their livestock endangered, and he's shipped off to a paladin order or monastery or whatever. They train him in their ways some, teach him his way around a sword and some prayers, but mostly they instill discipline in him. A few years down the road he's got his powers under control and is inducted into the order proper. He returns to his family, tells them he's got a date with fate, and fucks off to go adventure.

You've got plenty of flexibility on the hard ass to nice guy scale depending on what you want to play, so long as he's disciplined and orderly. You have tons of room for background NPCs if you're the sort, like family members, his mentor and other order members.
>>
>>52047131
My level 8 character I raised from level 1 died because of this pdf.
>Have a solo session with my DM because I died with a cursed ring on me that let a lich hold claim over my soul.
>End up battling him, destroyed him, barely.
I just needed the ring he had on in my dreamworld. I just needed to Dimension Door out - I had saved an expensive warlock spell slot just for that and the ring was 10 ft away.
>Surrounded by crumbling skeletons
>Have enough hp to tolerate two rounds of skeletons raining down their weapons on me
>Dive for the ring and cast Dimension Door.
>I move 5 ft. Ring now within reach.
>I trigger attacks of opportunity from skeletons
>DM rolls with advantage because flanked (DMG optional rule)
>Skeleton crits
>Consult pdf
>One skeleton stuns me for one round
Fuckfuck. I might still have enough hp.
>Another skeleton crits
I go down to 0 hp. It's still okay though. Their lich lord is dead and DM is rolling for crumbling damage for the skeletons each round.
>Consult pdf
>Disadvantage on death saving throws.

My warlock died there. On the plane of his Hag patron defending the generations of first-born girls his family had sacrificed that now shared their home with Muma. Their new mother, my patron. He was not a good man. He left his fighting companions to their death in the sewers when he heard his new-found daughter was in labor. He drowned this grandchild in a barrel of rainwater in the alley behind the hospital bed in order to uphold his family's ancient rites of power. In the session before he died, he finally managed to broker a marriage with the wood elves of the Forest of Stars. 20 years after his wife found out his family's secret and fled with their two daughers he found them, saved them, loved them. He ensured that his family's legacy would be upheld. My warlock died there. And he defended the plane of the many daughters of generations past.
I hope for all your characters that they can retire as bittersweet as Otto von Baumsfeld.
>>
Making a 1st level firbolg cleric to play Curse of Strahd. DM has a really generous rule regarding stat-rolling, so I ended up with 13 14 14 14 14 16 before assigning and applying racial bonuses. I should put 13 in Strength to even everything out, right?

Also, I'm conflicted between Nature or Tempest domain. Tempest looks fun as fuck, but so does Nature's shillelagh shenanigans.
>>
>>52048764
anyone play with the third part stuff?
how balanced is some of it?
im looking at some Kobold press' stuff and am wondering if their magic variants are relatively balanced in real play?
>>
>>52048551
Why couldn't you?
>>
>>52048864
Maybe the bar is a front for a gang's illegal/dubious activity of choice. Could be drugs, smuggling, gambling, whatever the law don't like. If you want to complicate matters maybe the gang has a couple watchman in their pockets. Or maybe use a cult instead of a gang.

Maybe the barman is running a fight club type setup in the basement. Why fight for a reputation when you could fight for a reputation and bet on yourself?

Maybe a local famous retired adventurer type is a regular. He's the one who beat up the mercs and he don't take kindly to trouble makers. It might be bad PR if they do beat the guy up - now they've got find someway to protect their rep without having a serious fight with the guy.
>>
>>52047131
>Wearing hide makes you much more resistant to major injury rolls than wearing heavy armour

Overall though makes champion maybe more interesting if not a luck-based fuckfest.

Still, rather than rolling on these tables I'd much rather keep crits situational rather than a random table of 'more or less damage and in different ways'. So, if an enemy has something in their hands the player really doesn't want there, they might be able to knock it away out of ther hands as part of the crit.
>>
>>52048551
Zealot Barbarian who plays a priest of Kord here. I love my Radiant AoE and being able to come back to life as long as the Cleric's got a 3rd level slot free.
>>
>>52048939
Man.
You know.
That's pretty fucking great.
It was just too simple to make him an edgy blade-man or a tragic case of nihilism with the fate approach.
I think I will use this.
>>
>>52048416
Have you tried using human v2 in a game to see how it plays out? I like what I'm seeing and plan on using it in games I run.
>>
>>52047785
Its definitely helpful, but its ultimately the DM's responsibility to not throw too much at the party that they can't handle. Maybe its just because I'm used to people who are not particularly minmax focused, but I just don't get people who stress about how certain race+class combinations. I'm not going to tpk you because your attack roll is 1 lower than optimum.
>>
>>52049037
My last character to die was trying to enchant a magic weapon with some demonic black magic voodoo bullshit. He fucked up the ritual and summoned a demon that wrecked his face.

He had it coming, frankly.
>>
>>52049037
>Flanking rules

Screw these, honestly. Advantage for being on either side? Action economy is already enough of a boon to swarms of monsters.
>>
File: twitch lol.jpg (157KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
twitch lol.jpg
157KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone here play LoL? I don't anymore, but how would you go about recreating Twitch here in 5e?

For those that haven't: a rodent with a repeater crossbow that stealths behind enemies to unleash massive AOE dmg from close range. I was thinking 3 levels in rogue then the rest in wizard? (Spells could be bombs and gadgets and whatnot)
>>
>>52047229
>>52047259
For most WotC published adventures you need to have access to all three core books in some form. The same is probably true of most 3rd party adventures.
>>
>>52048091
>>52048091
Anon, that's a problem because you weren't playing your character, you were just playing "a fighter".Imagine all the great warriors of myth and legend. Achilles, Siegfried, Arthur and his Round Table,Sasaki Koujirou. All of these were pure fighters.
Stop worrying about being "shit and garbage". Play sub-optimally. Refuse to fight a certain kind of enemy because they creep you out, or 'zerker charge a certain other kind of enemy because they killed your father/mother/sister/pet rock. HAVE FUCKING FUN.
As for Barbarians, Conan was a barbarian once too.
>>
>>52049188
I am the guy you replied too.
I completely agree. I am a DM myself and don't use these in my own game. It's way to easy to gain advantage. I think the intent was to bring more thought on the positioning of characters and maybe some strategy?
The way it plays out is that everyone in melee just always have advantage mindlessly - no strategy. No need to surprise, restrain, or use spells to gain advantage. : /
>>
>>52048091
>shit
>shit
>garbage
>garbage
Stop playing with munchkins
>>
How viable is a Barbarian Monk ? That rage bonus to that many attacks seems like something worth considering
>>
>>52049195
Drop the levels in rogue, take the criminal background and use that to get Stealth proficiency? Might also consider using sorcerer if you're commiting hard to the idea. There's also a UA artificer class that might be more appropriate.
>>
>>52049272
>randomly Sasaki instead of Miyamoto
Hello Fate
>>
>>52049187
Sounds justified, hehe.
How did you do it mechanically? Did you botch consecutive arcane checks?
>>
>>52049302

The least viable possible. Rage is entirely strength based, and your unarmored defenses don't stack

Don't do it.
>>
>>52049275
Pretty much.

For flanking, I consider it a situational benefit. If I have to start improvizing or try to spice things up, I'd consider the flanking person to be more likely to have it go their way.
e.g. If someone readied an action to try to stop a caster casting, it's much easier when they're pressured from both sides and can't simply dodge back. I might even let one of the flankers ignore a 'dodge' action if there's some good flanking going on, or maybe if a boulder comes hurtling down and everybody has to leg it - Well, I mean, the wizard will take at least two reaction attacks instead of one, but I might allow the players to try to shove him behind them as a reaction instead of making mere attacks, because they've much more control over the situation.
>>
>>52049369
Yea.
It sounds like something that's far better narratively executed than mechanically executed. There are no mechanical advantage either for having the high ghround and it's better that way.
>>
>>52049369

>Cast Animate Objects
>Make at least ten attack rolls with advantage

Bloody murder
>>
>>52048174
limb length /= muscle density
>>
>>52049331
I botched a dex check to follow a ritual's instructions adequately (a check he should be good at!), then failed an (untrained, 8 int) arcana check to stop the run away ritual. Did I mention he had no training in magic?

This summoned a demon. Rather than electing to run away, which he was very good at, he decided to try and kill it so the party wouldn't find out. He attacked, did alright. The monster then brought him to 3 ho or so in a round of very painful attacks. So, clearly outmatched he decides to book it. Had to use his bonus action to teleport away, but next round he can use his bonus to activate his boots of speed at which pint he'll be super gone. Demon makes a last ditch attempt with its only ranged ability - Phantasmal Force, which conjures an illusionary soldier to stab the foolish elf. He fails his will save (his best save!) and take last just enough damage to go under.
>>
>>52049474
I guess. If they had the muscles density to match humans they'd look like tiny caveman though.
>>
>>52049514
That's how I want to go out.
Since you were untrained in arcana did you even have any idea of what you were attempting to accomplish?
I hope it was for a badass enchantment.
>>
>>52048551
While a character is in Rage, it gains a surge of strength that greatly bolsters its prowess in combat and the temporary ability to shrug off physical blows.

As long as you can explain why a character is able to initiate a temporary surge of strength and endurance, you can describe Rage as anything. You'll also need to explain other class abilities in that context though.
>>
>>52048416
Versatility is too complicated. I would say skill and tool. Also two skill profs are significantly more valuable than two tool profs; one is most of a feat, the other is 500gp and a year or so of downtime.
>>
>>52048435
go away virt

>rogues are childish superstition
I think this triggers me more than your retardation about women.
>>
>>52048091
>barbarian
>RP pigeon holed
Take variant human for the skilled or maybe linguist feats, take a background which gives you some book learnin, and RP your rage as nerd rage/REEEEEEEEEEEEEE/fits of autistic nerd strength. If you can't write a character for yourself that is fun, you are probably spending too much time worrying about the mechanics. D&D is neither competitive nor all that tactically complex. I used to GM a lot of VTM, and I would always tell new players to make their first character by thinking of a normal human being, and then think through the process of their embrace and how it changed, or did not change, them as an individual. It takes a few extra minutes, but I never got that "my clan is my personality" stuff from my players that a lot of people get. The same thing works with D&D. Just make a person that you find interesting enough to want to pretend to be for a few hours a week. Bounded accuracy, few feats, concentration spells, low HP and saves, lots of stuff in 5E ultimately mean that unoptimised characters can do just fine, and if you feel like you can't RP a character you enjoy within the constraints of "optimal" than just don't fucking worry about it.
>>
>>52049651
>or unsuited for combat
Rogues are meant to be skill monkeys, not warriors. Sneak attacks have never made sense.
>>
>>52049589
I wasn't even mad, because it was so richly deserved.

I knew it was gonna make me a magic weapon and that was it. After the fact, the DM told me it was for a wounding weapon. Incidentally, the party DID find the weapon afterwards. They buried it because it was evil and probably cursed. The ritual involved a lot of painstakingly gathered monster parts and I like to imagine they had just been haphazardly super glued onto the mace.
>>
>>52049651
Don't respond to obvious bait.
>>
TG, I'm considering houserulling a Metamagic for sorcerers that gives them that Lore Wizard's ability to change damage type, at the cost of a sorcery point per spell level

Is that dumb?
>>
>>52049817
Seems okay to me if they're restricted to the common damage types.
>>
>>52049758
Must have been hard to roleplay a new character not giving a shit about that weapon.
>>
>>52049195
Depends on what you really want, but there's no great answer. Assuming you aren't starting at level 20 is a good place to start though. Three level dip in rogue is wasted for wizard anyway- casting invisibility is cheaper then a 3 level dip.

Stealth from a background if you aren't getting it from archetype.

>Guy who's great with a crossbow and stealthy
Straight Dex Fighter, anything with a superiority die is fine but Arcane Archer is also an option if you get it refluffed to Crossbows.
>Rogue with Magic
Arcane Trickster is fine, although not great.
>Closest in practice to your idea but far in fluff
Valor Bard with the Swift Quiver spell from ranger via Magical Secrets
>If you just want to ignore the whole crossbow thing
Fiend or Undying Light Warlock, pact of the book or chain. Lots of flavorful stuff in invocations
>>
>>52049817
>point per spell level
Too costly to ever be worth it.
>>
>>52049817
Frankly I just let sorcerers pick the equivalent spell of their primary damage type. The basic conceit of dragon sorc doesn't work otherwise and it's stupid as hell that it made it to print with old school spell lists that have frost be a higher level damage type than fire or shock.

Wizards also have to scribe the elemental variants if they want to know them.
>>
>>52047131
The only thing I dislike about this crit table is that it interprets necrotic damage entirely as physical rot when the book clearly describes it as either physical rot or degradation of the soul.
>>
>>52049927

Seems ridiculous to let Draconic Sorcerer's spam Forceballs at red dragons otherwise

>>52049931

I saw a Silver Dragon Sorcerer that I liked a couple of threads ago...
>>
>>52049965
Is letting a draconic sorcerer spam fireballs at a blue dragon OP in your mind? It's the same effect and it costs no sorcery points.
>>
>>52049450
Dear christ.
>>
>>52049906
Hah! No, it was fine. I had my chance, fair and square, and I squandered it pretty thoroughly.

As it happened I also happened to know that the party was undergoing major changes in the not too distant future. All but one of the characters was going to leave (mine would also have stayed, but whoops!). And one of them just happened to have a magic weapon - one of the very few magic items we'd found in our 7 levels of campaign - which no one else's planned future characters can use...
>>
>>52049195
Crossbow expert, sharpshooter, 9 levels of rogue 11 levels of fighter. Archery fighting style.
Action surge to hit all the things.
>>
Walrock here, just submitted my newest release to the DM's Guild on /tg/'s advice.

Still time to fix any subtle fuckups I may have made, though. These water spells look alright to you guys?
>>
>>52049998
>force is the same effect
There is literally one monster in the MM that resists force damage. I would also not allow people to take psychicball unless there was a dragon type with psychic breath.
>>
>>52050141
Does it matter if they use force or not if they can choose the element at time of casting? "Element you don't resist" is basically the same as force damage.
>>
>>52050141
The point is that there's nothing OP about the ability to hit things with fireballs. Making the damage type force only serves to let fireball apply to a few more enemies. Instead of spending 3 or more sorcery points to change its type you could just know any damage spell that isn't a fire spell. It would be a pretty terrible metamagic option.
>>
File: Difficulty.jpg (19KB, 296x523px) Image search: [Google]
Difficulty.jpg
19KB, 296x523px
This might not be the right place to ask, but what is the best/easiest/most convenient way to run a campaign with a group of friends over skype or discord or some other group voice comm system?

My friends and I played a bit in undergrad and now live all over the country, but we've been looking to get back into it.

Pic unrelated
>>
Ok, the "per turn" thing in 4e always confuses me.

So a battlemaster with Commander's Strike, he gives a reaction to a rogue or ranger...

1. This can be used to let a rogue deal sneak attack damage twice in one round, correct?
2. Colossus Slayer's "extra damage once per turn" means that likewise, he could deal it twice a round in that fashion, right?
3. Tragically, Foe Slayer and Horde Breaker's "once on each of your turns" bans this from working with those, right?

Any other obscure exploits Commander's Strike and other reaction things allow?
>>
>>52050313
I have played over discord several times and enjoyed it. Roll20 is also fine.

Skype was annoying.
>>
>>52050346
You are correct, sir.
>>
So I'm allowed to be a loremaster in my next game, obviously I don't want to get the school banned and make everyone else completely obsolete.

What are some fun, cool and interesting things I can do that aren't overpowered?
>>
>>52050313
Discord, or even Google Hangouts if you've all got decent internet connections. Consider running a premade adventure to test things out.
>>
>>52050469
Zap the BBEG wizard from 1 mile away with a str based feeblemind
>>
>>52050469
Whenever you change both the Damage Type and Saving throw of a spell, make sure they match.
>>
>>52050469
Upcast strength-based hold person and cast it on literally every enemy you can see within a mile radius and effectively instantly kill them if they fail the save.
>>
>>52048135
Now I want to play an all giant campaign.
>>
Would anyone mind linking/posting that PDF that has the roll options for tieflings?
>>
>>52050530
>OCD loremaster
>obsessed with making spells "match" damage and save type according to some proscribed order
>spellbook arranged in alphabetic order - rescribes entire book every time he wants to add one in the middle
>constantly using mage hand to fix shit out of alignment
>>
>>52050530
Make sure every variation nobody has called dibs for bears your name.
>>
>>52048135
doesn't really make much sense someone would select when being a giant is so much better (and dragons are faggots so noone would want to play one)
>>
>>52050648
Renaming all my spells to NAME's Iceball, NAME's Acidic Missile and so on. It's gonna be fun.
>>
File: leopard head bite.jpg (19KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
leopard head bite.jpg
19KB, 236x354px
>>52050543
Never change, teej
>>
>>52050543
Hold person is a concentration spell.
>>
>>52050469
Charisma based Black Tentacle spell with 2d10 added and angrily argue that each individual tentacle adds damage separately
>>
>>52050779
>

You can target extra creatures by upcasting it
>>
>>52050779
ARe concentration spells banned from it? Cuz the point of up casting Hold Person is so you can hit a bunch with one cast.
>>
>>52050469
Use Conjure xyz or Planar Binding and try to claim that the class feature also changes the saving throw and damage types for the creatures as well
>>
>>52050805
They have to be within 30 feet of each other.
>>
>>52050615
>>52050648
This is how you Loremaster.
>>
>>52050830
Try to bully the DM into thinking that is a form of range, as well as suggest that the radius on a fireball etc. counts as "range"
>>
>>52050830

Yeah but with Loremaster, that range goes up to a mile
>>
>>52050910
Nah
>>
>>52050910
It does not alter the text in the upcast section, which specifies 30 ft
>>
>>52050894
>tidal wave
>earth tremor
>>
>>52050995
Earth Tremor, at a minimum, does definitely look like it could be used for that.
>>
>>52049057
This movie's fucking weird. Director was a jew too, makes it even weirder. Like the ending though.
>>
>>52047021
Was there no Unearthed Arcana today?
>>
>>52051024
range needs to at least be 30ft. in order to be boosted to 1 mile.
>>
So how do I rogue well /5eg/? I have a friend getting into 5E and so we're playing in the AL as we may want to go to cons. I made a Kobold Rogue, planning to go fighter 1 for Archery fighting style, take sharpshooter at level 4, and then just use pack tactics to let loose massive arrow shots. Assassin archetype.
>>
Would it be a bad idea to let a Dexterity focused Stone Sorcerer use DEX with there natural AC? What about giving him Light Armour?
>>
Hey is it unreasonable to create a boss battle where the main opponent commands twelve Animated Weapons, then for the second phase, calls the weapons into a modified armor set that lets him use the animated weapons as wings?
>>
File: 350uueh.jpg (77KB, 1275x429px) Image search: [Google]
350uueh.jpg
77KB, 1275x429px
>>52049188
We made Flanking a +1 to hit instead, PCs have an assload of ways to get Advantage anyhow.
>>
>>52051253
Exactly what D&D is made for.
>>
File: face donaldsmug.jpg (6KB, 142x165px) Image search: [Google]
face donaldsmug.jpg
6KB, 142x165px
>>52051141
See >>52043487
>>
>>52048248
Rakshasa? They're dicks. If it's not a Rakshasa, you have simply made a mistake.
>>
>>52051191
How many levels of fighter are you taking? If it's less than 4 you won't get sharpshooter until 5.
>>
>>52051265
While I think that's sensible, there's also a couple of problems. Firstly it's even more modifiers to keep track of, and secondly I still don't like the idea of encouraging everyone to try to work out how they can take either sides of something, as well as there not being any need to buff swarms of things any further.
I mean, you can just walk up to someone and then scoot around them to attack their back and they can't do anything unless you actually leave their range. The system isn't really suited for flanking when all the combats are already so close together.
>>
>>52051426

Just the one for a fighting style. I meant sharpshooter at rogue level 4, sorry. I know it'll bump me back a little but since you can instantly jump from 4-5 in the AL it doesn't bother me as much.
>>
>>52051191
You don't need sharpshooter. Your attacks are too high value to miss on.

You need crossbow expert. It's like being able to draw as many shortswords as you want, throw the shortswords 30ft and getting +DEX to your second shortsword thrown's damage. While also getting archery's +2 to hit.

Ranged rogue is good, but if you want to go melee rogue, AT with the mobile feat using booming blade and green flame blade with find familiar and whatever other goodies you need is great, especially because you can take advantage of things like prone and such to get advantage on your high damage attack.
>>
>>52051472

I'd love to do that kind of AT, but as I'm a Volo's race that takes up my +1 for character creation. Cannot take anything from Sword Coast unfortunately so the bladesinger cantrips are out.
>>
How does Blue Dragonborn Storm Sorcerer work for simulating a "Blue Dragon" adventurer?
>>
>>52051472
>>52051191
Oh, forgot to mention, not having disadvantage within 5ft is again like shortswords because you can get advantage on prone targets within 5ft and autocrits.
There'll never be any need to use a melee weapon ever again.

>>52051529
Well, those are only needed if you wanted to go melee. Since you're not planning on doing melee anyway it's not entirely necessary. Though if you ever wanted melee, you could simply grant yourself advantage as an AT because of find familiar and you can just send in your owl at any time for free advantage. and later at level 13 (as if you'd ever get there) you get a bonus action to grant self advantage. Or there's a billion other ways.

Even so, AT would still be a great choice because find familiar also grants you pack tactics if I remember right, haste works great with ranged attacks because you can sneak attack twice a round and AT is just good in general. All assassin is giving you really is advantage on the first round of combat (mostly if you take alert, which you're not, so you might not always get advantage anyway) and that's about it.

Assassin isn't so bad if you know you can all be stealthy, someone takes 'pass without trace' and you actually plan to ambush in combat and don't want to talk to the guys before you attack them.

Barbarogue is also a good rogue and a dex barbarogue can do both ranged and melee.

But, yeah. Don't forget expertise in perception, stealth, maybe later athletics / insight / persuasion..
>>
Question for those in the know.

Out of the Abyss is designed for levels 1-15
Storm Kings Thunder is for level 1-10

Both books are the same size however which seems a bit odd as 5 levels worth of content should be a pretty noticeable chunk.

What is padding out Storm Kings book? (Or cut and shortened in Abyss)
>>
>Assassin isn't so bad if you know you can all be stealthy, someone takes 'pass without trace' and you actually plan to ambush in combat and don't want to talk to the guys before you attack them.

Well the crits are pretty rad and appealing to me. Being able to just drop a huge shot on the baddies is fun to think about. Although I'd probably have to remind my DM that individual creatures can surprise/be surprised, so it's easier to get crits than a lot of folks think. The rest of your party can be bumbling apes, but as long as you beat the perception of the enemies, you still get to surprise them. Still, the AT advice is solid, and it would definitely give me a lot more options out of combat.
>>
Hey how balanced are the planeshift supplements, particularly zendikar?
>>
What's the closest together that all five chromatic dragons could plausibly have their territory be located at, without the obvious aspect of magic?

Whites and reds can pretty much both use mountains, so that's a given. Green is not too hard either. How close could desert and swamps be together, though? I'm thinking the desert could be created by means of a rain shadow from the mountains, but I know fuck all about swamps.

The idea is that dragons, especially the bigger kinds, tend to require pretty big hunting grounds, so most of the surface activity in the campaign will concern a stronghold that is close to many of their territories, kind of like a neutral zone between dragons, and as a result they haven't yet destroyed it.
>>
>>52051701
If ANYBODY in your party rolls stealth lower than the least perceptive creature's passive perception, none are surprised.

If you lose on initiative, you can't even get crits on surprised creatures.

Honestly the big problem is probably that more often than not the creatures end up attacking you or are already in combat or anything like that, or your party won't sneak everywhere like you want them to.

You could probably leave anyone in clanky armour out of your ambush party or get pass without trace, though. Seriously, pass without trace should theoretically do you wonders.

>>52051753
A cave in the mountains can have damp spots and could be likened to a swamp. The top of a mountain is pretty barren, which is .. Kind of desert-ish, even if it's cold?
>>
>>52051701
>you still get to surprise them

Not if they're aware of *any* foes. Doesn't have to be you.
>>
>>52051792
Its not TOO brutally hard for a stealthy party, because of the fact that it says to give the monsters passive perception and that most perception checks in the game are probably at disadvantage (darkvision kinda sucks).
>>
>>52051661

significant optional paths in SKT
>>
How can one get advantage on stealth checks?
>>
4e fag here. Can anyone explain to me why 5e is so popular and considered better that 3 or 4? Serious question. Not b8 I swear.
>>
>>52051837
As long as you know what you're doing it shouldn't be too tricky.

But assassin is absolutely a trap for new players, and 'alert' is a pretty desirable feat for them yet rogues already probably crossbow expert because they don't need mobile because swashbuckler/AT are the melee rogue archetypes.

>>52051875
Certain spells such as enhance ability allow for it. Thief gets an ability to give self advantage. Trickster cleric gets an ability to grant advantage on stealth checks. Sometimes your DM might just give you advantage in the right situations.
>>
>>52051661
Storm King's Thunder has a ton of alternate paths and optional content
>>
File: happycheeta.jpg (83KB, 650x443px) Image search: [Google]
happycheeta.jpg
83KB, 650x443px
Just wanted to come in here and say thinks to whoever suggested "spirit guardians" when I asked about AOE.
I don't think I had landed a hit in 3 sessions, had resolved myself to healing and dodging only, with the fighter and ranger getting two attacks was a bit jelly.
Due to crits we were looking at a total group wipe last session, couldn't even heal anyone because the hurt ones were all the way dead. ALL enemy save throws were failed and I practically solo'd the second half of the fight, while also burning my revivify scroll and prepped reviv to save the day.
>>
>>52051805
>>52051792

Which page is that on? My reading of the surprised text is that surprise happens on a creature-by-creature basis. RAW, it's not just one side surprises the other (unless of course the DM is asking for a group stealth check).

>Otherwise, the DM compares the dexterity checks of *anyone* hiding with the passive wisdom (perception) score of EACH creature on the opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn't notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.

By my reading, if you, say, hide in the rafters before combat while the party storms into the room, you as an individual can still surprise one (or more) enemies if your stealth check is good enough. Which makes sense in reverse - when the party is surprised some people have a high enough PP that they still get to act even if 4 other people are surprised.

By RAW, if you're hiding, and you beat the passive perception of your enemies, you can surprise them even if the rest of the party is clanking around.

>>52051890

Faster, smoother, and more balanced than 3 or 4. Keeps the variation of 3 (for people who felt 4 lacked that) but with much better balance. Combat is not as tactical as 4 but swims along and everyone feels distinct, while spells are back to how they used to be.
>>
>>52051926
Sounds genuinely better. Any particular drawbacks I should be aware of?
>>
>>52051890
5e is minimalistic. It doesn't encourage the stacking of endless modifiers, but much simpler calculations.
It encourages roleplay over rollplay, in a way.
It's easy for a DM to improvise things.
Less trap options than 3.5e.

The major downsides are that somebody proficient and somebody not proficient have pretty similar chances of success at something unless the DM says 'No, you can't craft a sword if you don't even know how to fucking smith' to the one without proficiency.
Also, the DM has to actually construct interesting combat environments and spice up combat or else combat gets boring, mostly for the simpler classes though. That doesn't mean combat isn't fun if the DM does it properly, however.

4e's better if you want tactical combat.
3.5e's better if.. You really like building characters from a long list of stuff, I guess?
>>
>>52051875
Have enough player distract whoever you're trying to sneak by.
>>
>>52051926
>more balanced than 4
hahaha, no.
>keeps the variation of 3
Also bullshit. 3.PF spoiled players for character creation choice.
>combat is not as tactical as 4
True
>everyone feels distinct
except the melee classes who just hit things with their fightsticks.
>spells are back to how they used to be
favoring wizards?
>>
How do you guys handle DMPC/NPC additions to parties?
Normally, I'd steer clear of doing it (although my players do tend to like adopting assorted NPCs to bring along with them) but we've had a player drop out at the last minute and the others still want to continue the session.
I'd run it with just the two of them, but they're sort of in the middle of a dungeon right now and will probably need some extra muscle to not die.
I've decided to turn what was meant to be just a standard NPC dungeon prisoner into a level 3 rogue with PC levels - using standard array to make it balanced. I'll probably give the players the option to bring him along and offer one of them the ability to control him during combat if they like, but I'll still play him like a normal NPC out of combat.

Really, what I want to know is what not to do to avoid looking like I'm taking player agency away. I don't want the NPC to take centre stage, but I've given him a story reason to be there (basically over the last 4 sessions I've just been dropping hints in every location all pointing back to the same thing, hoping my players will bite).
>>
>>52051947

Not really, I haven't felt that the system has serious drawbacks. The only two major ones I've had are: If you like crafting, the crafting rules are complete shit and need some serious home brewing. And secondly, while it's harder to break than, say, 3.5, when it does break it can be especially bad. But that hasn't cropped up enough to be a concern to me.
>>
>>52047184
Rance VI has a pretty good setting and plot so its a good base.
>>
>>52051947
Melee characters aren't bad like in 3 but they can still be a bit boring. At the end of the day barbarian is still pretty much "I move up to the nearest guy and hit them"
>>
>>52051926
That'd be ridiculous, though. If you had a bat familiar on you that was enchanted to always have 30 stealth or so and it just follows the party around, it would autosurprise everyone.

The intention is that if an enemy notices ANY hostile threat (The clanking guys) They won't be surprised as they're on guard, ready to fight and while you might make an unseen attack they still expected others to be with them.

>Any character of monster that doesn't notice a threat
There are two ways of reading this.
'Any character that doesn't notice ANY threat'
and
'Any character that doesn't notice ALL threats'

I can't remember where they clarify the meaning but it at least makes more sense that it's 'any' threat.
>>
>>52051890

Incoming opinions.

Personally, I just like it better. Feels simpler, feels more balanced class-wise. I like the concept of bounded accuracy and the divorce of magical item acquisition from typical character progression. Also I feel more proficient running it than I ever did with 3.5e or 4e, despite having substantially less experience so far. Whether that's because it's easier or the rules just gel with how I feel D&D "should" play (whatever that means), eh.

Caveat: I have not had a chance to actually play in a 5E campaign since I'm the eternal DM for our group, unfortunately. If my party is to be believed they like 5E a lot too, with one of five players preferring pathfinder and another one of the five preferring 4E. They say 5E is plenty enjoyable though.
>>
>>52052004
A bat familiar surprising people makes some sense, yeah.
>>
>>52051890
I pretty much exclusively DM for new players, and 5e is just so easy to get your head around. Once they understand that nearly everything they want to do is D20 + Proficiency + Stat, you can really get the game moving.

Plus as it's relatively 'rules-lite', when players want to do unorthodox things for roleplay/fun reasons it's easy to just make shit up.
>>
>>52051875

Magic Elvenkind items give you advantage on stealth rolls depending on the type of stealth (sound, vision) that you're relying on
>>
>>52051559
Pretty darn well. More of a Storm Drake than a proper blue dragon, but it works.
>>
>>52052004

Hmm maybe. I read it as your former way because the preceding sentence makes it clear that it's a 1-1 comparison - each hiding character has their hide compared against the PP of each enemy, the sentence is clearly not a group check. So it's a little weird to me to immediately jump to "and if one fails, everyone does." They might not be surprised at the rest of the party, but even on guard characters can be surprised by an arrow flying out of an unexpected direction. That said I'll see if I can find any official rulings on the topic because I don't think your reading is unreasonable.

>That'd be ridiculous, though. If you had a bat familiar on you that was enchanted to always have 30 stealth or so and it just follows the party around, it would autosurprise everyone.

Well I mean, what is a bat familiar going to do with that autosurprise? Best they can do is fly up the nearest enemy and prepare the help action, assuming the DM was letting them hide in the middle of the air.
>>
>>52051926
>>52051949
>>52051984
>>52051994
>>52052007
>>52052059

This is all actually very convincing for a forever DM like me. I might pick up a few books on it soon. Thanks.
>>
>>52051744
Honestly, the majority of PS races are mildly underpowered compared to some PHB options. Should be fine.
>>
>>52048628
Chill Touch, motherfucker. Fire bolt. Chill Touch. Done.

But yeah, Demons and Devils are pricks.
>>
>>52052071
>what can that batfamiliar do with autosurprise
iirc pact of the chain warlocks can deliver some pretty nasty shit through their familiars.
>>
>>52052091

Anyone can cast a touch spell through their familiar, but the character casting it is still the one taking the action, and Chainlocks have to take the attack action to let their familiar attack. So even their familiars can just hover menacingly near some bad guy.
>>
Any fun ideas for a Stone Sorcerer? Half-Elf seems too overdone on them and not really fun.
>>
>>52052140
One of the new Aasimars are super good, the one with flight and extra dmg is top notch
>>
>>52052030
I don't think so at all.

Surprise is something that makes them lose their entire turn because they're not prepared for combat.

They heard a whole group of people in heavy armour marching up to them. They're ready to fight, they don't give a fuck that some bat was fluttering nearby or some rogue was with their party and also wants to fight, they're ready to fight a rogue as well. You already get advantage for making an attack from hidden, that's your bonus, but you don't get surprise which happens when enemies don't expect combat at all.

>>52052071
If only you succeed stealth, you don't surprise your teammates. Nothing says you do that. If the bat surprises the enemies, the enemies lose their turn, simple. They don't lose their turn against only the bat - that wouldn't make sense, does the bat suddenly get a free turn? Because there is no such thing as surprise round.

The bat surely wouldn't do much with their turn, but if you replace the bat with a level 1 rogue who can't do much damage then it's pretty similar.

As above, the intent of surprise is that an enemy who is not expecting combat is suddenly thrown into combat.

But, yeah, I can't quite remember how to exactly prove everything I'm saying, but it took me a damn long time to understand 5e stealth this much and for all the errata and such I've read I'm sure it's in there somewhere, so hopefully there'll be some official ruling to clarify it somewhere.
>>
>>52051559

Sure as crap works better than the Draconic bloodline for any other given element
>>
>>52052140
Earth Genasi.
>>
>>52052140
Have you played a Yuan Ti yet? Om nom nom
>>
>>52048535
Charismatic slayer of evil with ties to storms. Why not Dorothy? Ride tornadoes and strike down witches.
>>
>>52052071
>>52052157
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/26/surprise-threats/
Well, I at least found that.
>>
File: frost giant 4.jpg (447KB, 800x1178px) Image search: [Google]
frost giant 4.jpg
447KB, 800x1178px
Has anyone run Svardborg (Berg of the Frost Giants) for SKT?

As far as I can tell, if the party uses the Dragon Cult airship to get there, as long as they land it outside there are no enemies who would notice and attack them.

This seems really, really weird to me since it's a massive boat coming in from the sky which seems like something hard to miss.

Am I missing something important?
>>
>>52048535
Nowdays the build is Warlock 3 hexblade with the smite and Sorc for the rest. Sorry but you are like 6 months late.
>>
>>52052157

The lack of surprise rounds certainly does muddy the waters, but if I was DM'ing I would certainly just give the bat it's own turn. In effect, combat starts 1 round faster for the people (or creatures) launching the ambush should the choose to do so. A strike before the enemy truly gets their bearings. They turn the corner, begin to get ready and the rogue or whomever strikes swiftly from the shadows before they've gotten their bearings.

Partially the all or nothing ruling doesn't make sense to me because the next paragraph says "A member of a group can be surprised, even if the other members aren't"

>>52052193

Certainly does seem to put it in the all-or-nothing category ugh.
>>
>>52052201
Most of the Frost Giant residents are out going a viking whence the PCs arrive.

Snowy weather conditions and cloudy skies make for poor visibility on the water or in the sky.
>>
Is there a table with avalible races and their Ability Score Bonuses? I am having trouble remembering them all and I am even further from being able to make a choice.
>>
>>52052201
The Jarl and 20 frost giants (the vast majority of the inhabitants) are out on the Krigvind whale hunting. They don't post guards because they don't expect attacks. If it bothers you you can have fortuitous cloud-cover aid in an unseen landing.
>>
>>52048416

Wizards with heavy armor proficiency at level one.
>>
File: stats.png (11KB, 224x514px) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
11KB, 224x514px
If I wanted to make a Stone Sorcerer with a focus on melee, which of these stat distributions would be more favourable? On one hand, raising CON to buff AC and Concentration checks lowers my spellcasting bonus (but I'm using Smites for the most part anyway). On the other hand, buffing my CHA nerfs my AC and Concentration and doesn't directly contribute to my performance in melee.
Should I go for one or the other, or a balance of both?
Pic related.
>>
>>52052283

check the mega anon 5e tools
>>
File: Human.jpg (6KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
Human.jpg
6KB, 229x300px
Why does anyone ever play anything other than Humans?

Plus one to everything, or plus two to any stat and a free feat? The only race that can compete is Mountain Dwarf.
>>
>>52052326
For fun
>>
>>52047021
Theoretically how hard would it be to create your own wikipedia esque document to keep track of campaign notes and setting?
>>
>>52052314
Thanks! 5e tools are amazing :D
>>
>>52052326

>Implying Yuan-TI aren't also god tier.

I'll be over here with my free immunity and magic resistance.
>>
>>52052219
Once the enemies sense danger, there isn't really any reason the rogue should get an extra turn over the enemies. Presumably they can either both see each other and both can't see each other, and at that point it's a matter of who wins initiative.

At the very least if the rogue is hidden they might not get attacked and if the rogue attacks from hidden they'll have advantage, but the fact the enemies are completely prepared for battle means that there's no reason they can't account for an unexpected extra combatant when they're already in combat. Otherwise, you'd be surprising people every time a new combatant enters combat, and they would somehow get a turn that asks everybody already fighting to stop fighting so they can get a bit closer.

The only real downfall of the surprise system I feel is the paradox that happens when all opponents are surprised, but the surprisers don't want to attack after initiating combat. If at least one enemy had been surprised, that enemy can then tell everyone else they're under attack and combat would resolve as normal, but if everybody is surprised then nothing will happen if the surprisers just exit combat and insist on re-initiating combat until they get the initiative rolls they want.

So I have a slight rule that if all enemies are surprised, you don't roll initiative until after the 'surprise round' and everyone can take a turn in whatever order they like before the 'real' combat starts.
>>
What should my level 4 Bladesinging Wizard be concentrating on?

Seems like booming blade + flaming sphere is pretty good damage-wise.
>>
>>52052342
Just use https://www.notebook.ai
>>
>>52050469

Lore Master isn't OP, that's just a meme.
>>
File: 1463886341266.jpg (87KB, 1076x743px) Image search: [Google]
1463886341266.jpg
87KB, 1076x743px
If I want fun combat, is there a reason to ever use 5e over 4th edition? I mean, obviously 5e has bells and whistles for facilitating roleplaying and giving characters utility to use outside of combat, but the actual fights are dogshit.
>>
>>52052408

I am generally a big fan of Blur myself. But once you hit 5th level it's haste haste baby.
>>
>>52052419
Lol one mile Aaracokra witchbolt anything is not OP.
>>
File: l_1374.jpg (36KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
l_1374.jpg
36KB, 566x800px
>>52052418
holy fuck anon you've saved me

have a qt gobo
>>
>>52052408

Pyrotechnics makes a nice combo with Flaming Sphere
>>
>>52052419
this, its good, strong and all that, but not significantly moreso than other options.
>>
>>52052399

Hmm that makes sense. But makes assassin really shitty for no real reason. Their only real trick in combat is assassinate, seems kinda shitty to make them reliant on how well the big clanking warrior can sneak.
>>
>>52052448
Unbreakable hold person is what really makes it strong
>>
>>52052342
Not that hard. I use OneNote, personally.
>>
>>52052431
>allowing level 1 fly speed race
>>
>>52052456

To be clear, I didn't mean you make them shitty, I meant the rules and the way they wrote the ability. It makes Arcane Trickster 17/Champion 3 much better assassins than the assassins themselves.
>>
>>52050789
>Charisma based Black Tentacle
They rape you until you like it.
>>
>>52052456
Honestly I think sneaking about would be too powerful if a group of 100 peasants could easily sneak upon 1 noble. Instead, they have to use smaller groups to avoid being seen as easily.

The big clanky warriors can stay behind and not join in the sneak and not attempt to sneak at all, but not join the combat until after the first round or so.

If you want them to join in, you have to buff them up with something like pass without trace or they might screw you over.

That's just how it is - If you bring someone noisy with you, it'll blow your cover.

And honestly this is why assassin is a trap for new players because it takes a surprisingly long time to understand how stealth works in 5e.
>>
>>52052431

Good job, you just wasted two limited spell slots for one creature.
>>
>>52052457
That won't ever fly in practice though; No gm is gonna let anyone do that.
>>
>>52051246
You could, like, cast mage armor.

And yes it would be bad. You can't hit people with your Con.
>>
>>52052523
>This is not OP
>That is so OP no GM would allow it.

>Pick one
>>
>>52052523

Even if they do, they can do it once. It's not as big of a deal as everyone likes to believe.
>>
>>52052456

I've houseruled that the assassin gets the auto-crits like the advantage (on anyone that hasn't acted yet in the combat). Doesn't seem to have broken the game too much.
>>
As a ranger, if I pick favored enemy: humanoids, which lets me pick two different humanoid races, does that mean I get both languages? Or do I have to pick one?
>>
>>52052500
>That's just how it is - If you bring someone noisy with you, it'll blow your cover.

I guess for me in a world with magic, dragons, fireballs, etc, it makes sense for a PC to be almost supernaturally stealthy especially when they do nothing but sneak. Oh well, Arcane Trickster it is then, I really don't like thief at all especially since I feel like AT actually outshines thief as far as actually stealing things goes.
>>
>>52052561
You get one
>>
>>52051472
Sharpshooter is still pretty good for increasing your range and ignoring cover. Though you'll rarely need more than the 80' range that a light crossbow gives you, it can come up sometimes. It'll come up all the time if you're using a hand crossbow.
>>
>>52052552
that's like saying playing a kobold is broken in 3.5 because you can go Pun Pun.

A wonky unintended edge case that no GM will ever let happen does not make something broken.
>>
>>52052566
Alright. When I pick my next favored enemy after leveling a bit, can I go back and learn the langauge from the other humanoid I picked earlier instead of the language of the new race I pick?
>>
>>52052573
You cant make the case that something is not broken becous its SOOOOO GOOOD that no one would allow it. That is not a fucking argument that its bad its an argument its too good. Are you retarded?
>>
I wanna play a halfling rogue "hero of the commonfolk" character. Some of the combat features for Mastermind seem kinda "cartoony" such as ranged allied help and redirecting attacks. Is the archetype any good tho or am I better off doing something else?
>>
>>52052601
is there any pdf that has the undead (zombies, skeletons, ghosts, etc.) stated for PC play?
>>
>>52052587
Ask your DM, because that makes complete sense but the rules aren't clear
>>
I'm looking for some good level 1-4 modules that can be knocked out in a session or two.

Third party is fine, and I'm open to converting stuff. I just want some dungeons and mini-adventures to pepper around my starting area.
>>
>>52052557
That sounds a bit too powerful when combats don't last very long and with the +5 initiative and high dex meaning they're pretty much gauranteed to always have crits in a combat, and then if they do something such as have a battlemaster or haste they can make a reaction attack for a second chance of that crit and total two very easy to land crit sneak attacks as well as whatever else is boosted such as GFB/BB 's initial dice if they picked that up somewhere.

Also if they did get a surprise round that's a lot of crits.

Still, it's probably not too gamebreaking. Just kinda makes them a very boring 'Choose this archetype to deal lots of damage on the first turn of every combat' archetype, which isn't what rogue archetypes really should be.

>>52052572
Certainly useful on a hand crossbow, but generally combat maps are pretty small in the first place and you have cunning action if you really need to get closer.

Crossbow expert is overwhelmingly better if you have to choose just one, though sharpshooter isn't entirely a bad choice after crossbow expert, though I'd get +dex first.

>>52052563
I gues 5e's a bit less magical, even if some things don't make sense.
Thief could really use a boost or two. Assassin could use some better mid-level features.
>>
>>52052619
My opinions: "Help an ally" as a ranged bonus action is very good. Don't forget you can use it on ability checks too. In combat, that can mean grapples and shoves. The other abilities depend somewhat on DM and campaign, but when they're good they're very useful.

If it strikes you as the type of character you want to play, then play it. I don't think you'll regret it. You are still a rogue, after all, and can sneak and sneak attack and skillmonkey and get evasion and uncanny dodge and cunning action.
>>
>>52052723
There's a huge cache of them in the OP.
>>
How lenient would your DM be if I wanted to use the warlock alter self at will invocation and glamored studded leather to be a doppelganger kind of character? How precise of a disguise could I make and how familiar would I have to be with the targets?
>>
>>52048764
>>52049057

I started just about a year ago, and the first adventure I ran was "The Dreaming Heralds", which was a free adventure made for the D&D Next adventure writing contest. It went great, just remember to convert the enemies to proper 5e stats.

"Journey to the Buried Vale" on DM's Guild is another good module. It's very (in fact literally) linear, but then again it's designed to be a tutorial module for 5e. What I really like about it is the formatting. The monster stats are printed on the page where the encounter is described, so you don't need the monster manual. Also nice is that the writer included scaled, printable maps to use as your gameboard. The follow up adventutes have the same bonuses, making it a nice starter campaign if you want an alternative to LMoP.
>>
Is it worth trying to argue with newer players that they should take the stat spread rather than rolling for the stats? It only makes the people that rolled poorly bitter and jealous of THAT GUY that rolled two 18s and nothing lower than 10 and they might try to suicide their new character if there are a couple really bad rolls.
>>
What would be a reasonable "punishment" my DM could give me for accidentally cheating a bit last session? I wasn't aware of some spellcasting nuances, and he never called me out on them. I'm sure we would have won the fight regardless, with maybe the barbarian slipping unconscious and the fighter taking a little more of a beating though. The session ended with the fight, so anything can work. I just dont feel right getting away scott free.

I still have lots of spell slots and points, so would maybe "all my slots fizzle up" work? I'm only a 5th level sorcerer
>>
>>52053012
Well, what'd you do?
>>
>>52053012
Just Keep Quiet
>>
>>52052399
>The only real downfall of the surprise system I feel is the paradox
Just tell them "no backsies"
>>
>>52053082

That's basically how my game works. I only ask for initiative once a player says their character is going to do something that will initiate the encounter. Their character HAS to do that thing first round of combat.
>>
>>52053012
>>52053035
He probably made the most common sorcerer mistake, casting 2 spells in one round.
Casters can only ever cast 1 spell and 1 cantrip a turn, you cant even misty step away then fireball as a wizard.
Honestly I wouldn't punish you for doing that. Its really easy to forget and you telling me would make me more aware for the future.
Keeping quiet is the worst because if your friends did know it just makes you look so bad, what kind of person cheats in DnD?
>>
>>52053012
I would bring it up next session and point it out, nothing more. No need to punish yourself for being honest.
>>
The characters are soon having a tavern built, as a home base of sorts, I'm going to be sorting things out with them tomorrow but what basic staff would an inn on the side of a major road between two cities? It wouldnt be as busy as one in a city but itd have a couple people passing through each day or so
>>
>>52053012
Just own up to it. Unless your DM is a complete asshole, he'll probably just tell you something along the lines of "Oh, okay. Just don't do it again." But if you don't admit it and someone finds out, then people might assume you did it intentionally.
>>
>>52053268
This is incorrect. Limitations on spells per turn pertains to bonus actions and such. Please reread the text.
>>
>>52053268
>Casters can only ever cast 1 spell and 1 cantrip a turn, you cant even misty step away then fireball as a wizard.

Not quite, you can cast two spells as a caster, though the only real way to do it off the top of my head is through action surge. That rule just says if you cast a spell AS A BONUS ACTION you can only cast a cantrip with your action. Using two actions is fair game, but the only way to do that is with action surge or magic items.
>>
File: 75396.jpg (56KB, 400x526px) Image search: [Google]
75396.jpg
56KB, 400x526px
So, we have rangers and paladins as half-casters already, but we have no official arcane half-casters in the game.

What's most well designed homebrew player classes in this category you guys have seen so far?
>>
>>52053314
>>52053335
Yup my bad, I generalized the rule way too much, hadn't even considered casting spells with 2 actions.
For anyone who wants to see the exact rule it's pg. 201 of PHB
>>
>>52053335
The most common way it'd come up is probably an action and a reaction.
>>
>>52053391
I've only seen one and it was shit. But it gets posted like every fucking thread so stick around and it'll show up whether you want it or not.
>>
File: Magus Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Magus Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>52053391
This, basically.
>>
>>52053416
This it?>>52053417
>>
>>52053416
>>52053417
There it is!
>>
Suggestions of cool uses of Minor Conjuration?

Using it with the Keen Mind feat crosses my mind, but me playing a Conjurer as my next character will really depend on the mileage I can get out of this feature.
>>
>>52053391
What's the different between the half-casters we have and the arcane half-caster you want? Wouldn't EK fit the spot you're looking for?
>>
>>52053456

You'd be surprised at how useful it is to just create gear like crowbars and mirrors.
>>
What's the best Class to go about Planar Binding and other general Magic shenanigans? Arcana Cleric comes to mind, Diviner for making sure certain Saves hit and Lore Master for obvious reasons. Am I missing any options?
>>
>>52053391
plenty of options for you bub
>Mountain dwarf wizard
>eldritch Knight
>stone sorcerer
>blade/hexlock
>simply refluff Paladin as sorcerous fighter?
>>
>>52053417

This is pretty bad.
>>
>>52053465
Nothim, but EK, AT, and the Artificer are all "1/3" casters, not half-casters.
>>
Is there even a difference between divine and arcane magic anymore in terms of mechanics?
>>
>>52053487

Abjuration wizard.
>>
>>52053524
Only the objects you can use as a Spellcasting Focus.
>>
Ability Score Increases aren't tied to character level but class level right? For instance if you're 2/2 you don't get it until you go say, 2/4 right?
>>
Can druids wear studded leather? The studs are metal right?
>>
Someone give me an example of some good/"epic" level 10 characters

Preferably something that isn't a barbarian, bard, fighter or wizard (because those classes are already being played) or sorcerer or warlock (characters that I have tried playing, poorly, and disliked)
>>
>>52053582

Correct. Only proficiency and cantrips are tied to your character level off the top of my head.
>>
>>52053582
Yes
>>
>>52051890
5e doesn't require excruciating character builds, lets you treat magic items with gravitas, and the resource management is generally more comfy.

Additionally, encounter design allows way more freedom in 5e. As a DM, this is the most pleasurable and genius element of 5e, I can create a more open, sandbox style world where the PCs can face a far wider variety of monsters usable at any given time.
This is much closer to old school D&D, like how a shitty level 5 party manages to take down a maxed out red dragon, albeit with heavy losses.

4e's decent and I'm hoping my friend runs it, but the crushing lack of freedom and great rigidity of character roles means 5e is just better suited to my tastes.
>>
>>52051970
>favoring wizards?

they're nothing compared to 3e or old school
>>
>>52053622
>>52053621
Okay thanks.
>>
>>52051970
>except the melee classes who just hit things with their fightsticks.

Battlemaster, paladin, and hunter-ranger are crazy different. Dunno about barbarian.
>>
>>52051983
Since /tg/ hates the old school playstyle of many PCs having henchmen (aka DMPCs), you will probably get a lot of angry responses, but there's nothing wrong with it. Should probably have them be retainers of the PCs.
>>
>>52053675
>you will probably get a lot of angry responses,
Says the only response after over two hours.
>>
>>52052326

...what? vhuman is +1, +1, not +2.

The idea of +2 to a stat vhumans are for if you use a feat and a +1 to get a +2.
>>
Is the revised ranger legal for organized play?
>>
>>52052425
Why ask questions while making it clear you already made up your mind?
>>
File: 1293324871828.jpg (204KB, 1423x2110px) Image search: [Google]
1293324871828.jpg
204KB, 1423x2110px
Am I missing something or is the spellist for GOOlocks utterly underwhelming?
At lvl 5 fiendlocks may freely annihilate undead hordes with blazing fireballs, while GOObers can only send text messages...

I really like the vibe of Great Old Ones, not an EBUL but a chaotic, strange and menacing force, but I don't think I can do with these shitty spells or pact features...
Especially since GMs tend to shit on Awakened Mind?
>one-way communciation only LOL!
>>
>>52052505
Good trade.
>>
>>52052456
>But makes assassin really shitty for no real reason.

assassins kill everything at the cost of requiring difficult setup. this isn't new. IF you have a party that can work with you, the assassin is God tier.
>>
>>52053719
Also why can a ranger have a mule as an animal buddy but not a horse?
>>
>>52052970
if he doesn't respect your authority he's gonna be a bad player
>>
>>52053524
Well, with the exception of ranger, divine casters still don't have a spells known limit.
>>
>>52053726
tentacles, domination, laughter, phantasmal force, all good
>>
>>52053726
If you want to blow up hordes, your only option is Shatter. Arms of Hadar will do it too. Both are clearly weaker than Fireball though.

Fear, Hypnotic Pattern, and Hunger of Hadar are also good.
>>
>>52053726
>take all the vision invocations
>at will disguise self
>detect thoughts, dominate
>create thrall which is a bit better than most people give it credit for
>combo insanely well with an imp familiar/GOO appropriate reskin with imp statblock
They can do some pretty neat stuff. GOO chainlocks can get anywhere and know everything. They definitely miss out on the blasting, but they can combine a few features to make some cool stuff, but its not going to come up every campaign.
>>
>>52053506
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>52053465
>What's the different between the half-casters we have and the arcane half-caster you want?

First of all, let's assume this arcane caster is INT-based. INT is vastly underused in 5e.

Theme and spell lists. Paladins and Rangers have really thematic spell lists, and they are focused in very different things. Paladins buff their party and have smites to boost damage, while Rangers focus on exploration, nature, and still get some damage spells. A arcane would probably focus on a utility spells, while being able to still strike enemies with a weapon.

>Wouldn't EK fit the spot you're looking for?
Not really. First, they're not half-casters, so they don't know nor are able to cast that many spells.

Second, they have a very restrictive spell list. They can either protect themselves or throw fireballs and such, with very little access to actually cool wizardry.

When you compare paladins and rangers' spell usage in combat to the EK's, you see how their spells add up to their potential, instead of just being a mostly useless option. They get a much lower mileage on their spellcasting feature in combat then any other fighter archetype from their own features. EKs attack with weapons instead of casting spells - with exception of Shield and stuff like that. Blade singers cast spells instead of attacking - except when they run out of spells (rather uncommon, I'm guessing). There's no middle ground here.
>>
>>52053719

Not in the AL, no. Unearthed Arcana is not AL legal. Only volo's, EE, and SCAG (and the Strahd Backgrounds) are.
>>
>>52047229
>hey it's time to fight the dragon
>put the single-wielding rogue up front, we wouldn't want to fail our perception check to notice the fucking dragon
>start casting lightning against a creature with high CR
>fighter and barbarian, don't bother with shields, it's not like this thing breathes fire or anything
>also make sure you're in the back so it takes forever to run up
>archer, make sure you're aiming way to the right of the dragon, you need to make that magical arrow count
>>
>>52054033
You could just multiclass fighter/wizard. I appreciate that there isn't an arcane "half caster" ,but what you are suggesting doesn't really fill any niche that a wizard/fighter can't fill mechanically. You don't need a themed spell list, you can just choose to RP a specific kind of person with a specific approach and preferences to their own magic. I've had people play wizards that only focused on curses, divinations, and things like polymorph and the like in lieu of a classic "old cranky witch" class.
>>
>>52053966
Features seem to be very character-specific and overdesigned.
>>
>>52054033
At level 3, Burning Hands or Thunderwave lets you make an area attack instead of a single target attack like your greatsword or longbow.

At level 7, using shatter or upcasting thunderwave or burning hands is less impressive, but does the same job. Fortunately, that's the level where you get cantrip+attack and you can use those a lot.

At level 13 is your next upgrade, and fireball is worth casting when its worth casting. You'll know.

Bladelock runs a little more in the middle ground as well.

Not saying there isn't room for an actually half caster with that arcane blow them up flavor.
>>
>>52054033
Gust of Wind looks perfect for an EK.

The thing about the EK, imo, is that they can do actually defendery things. Most gishes are honestly not very fighter-like, but the magic that the EK gets is that which you'd expect a fighter to get -- stuff that wipes out a group of weak enemies, stuff to protect himself, and stuff to hold the enemy at a distance and force them back.
>>
>>52054240

Blur on an EK is downright cruel. Even giants can't hit my fighter with that up in SKT.
>>
>>52054240
You forgot "upsizing himself to wrestle dragons", which is a fun option to have.
>>
Why do I dislike caster classes in D&D? I understand that its different from how they work in MMOs, but I seriously don't enjoy them and it gives me very little to influence my character creation.
>>
>>52047229
Please don't tell me that's supposed to be a fucking halfling rogue, cuz halflings are supposed to look like 5 year olds.
>>
>>52054144
I've played a fighter/wizard recently. It's the closest I've got to that gish feeling I was looking for.

The point is not that much of the EK not being fun or usefull. The point is that we have a 25% martial 75% arcane option, a 75% martial/25% arcane option, but not a 50/50.
>>
>>52054294

I don't know, you'll have to be more specific. Probably because you chafe at the idea of limited spell slots, I would imagine. That said, if you want a caster with options, cleric and wizard get by far the most.
>>
>>52054337
Honestly, we have a 90/10 and a 25/75, the spellcasting feature being at 1/3 or 1/2 progression isnt reflective of the split entirely.
Neither ranger nor paladin are 50/50 either, they are magical martials.
>>
>>52054033
Honestly, just reduce Bard back to a half-caster and add some extra shit to balance it out.
>>
>>52049169
Well, my problem with all 21 pages of homebrew is that I've made all of them during the past two months, and no new games have actually begun during this time. Hell, most of the homebrew, save for Savant and LoreMaster wizard nerf, I've made during last 10 days or so.

>>52052311
Show me how, anon. Show. Me. How.

It's explicitly stated you can only take heavy armor if you have medium armor prof, and you can take only one such superproficiency.
>>
>>52054414

Just start fighter 1, go wizard from there.
>>
>>52054385

Honestly, I just wanted to know if someone had already homebrewed something good under that especifications. Probably gonna do it myself, though.
>>
>>52054337
Yeah, but with multiclassing fighter/wizard you can choose the pace of the martial progression vs the magic progression and ultimately decide the proportion. I'm not saying its perfect or trying to imply that you're an idiot or anything like that, more that I would be surprised if we get a dedicated class like that soon when we already have a way to come pretty close to that sort of thing mechanically with a multiclass. The only problem is level 1, which I admit sucks, because I usually am one of those people that say if your character doesn't feel like the person you set out to play as soon as possible there's something wrong.
>>
>>52054436
That has nothing to do with the race template.

You can do that with any race.
>>
>>52054488
>if your character doesn't feel like the person you set out to play as soon as possible there's something wrong
People change overtime. Sometimes its subtle, sometimes its drastic. Either of those options can make use of multiclassing to represent that development.
>>
>>52054558
I know that, I just mean as a foreverDM I'm pretty open to bending the rules and rewriting something to let people play the character they want to play instead of saying "that will be a great idea at level 8 when you have two feats because of some minor technicality of RAW or because some level 1 or 2 spell isn't normally on your class's spell list", because fuck making someone wait to play the character they wanted to play at level 1. Multiclassing is supposed to represent something different, hence why, although I did say it fills the niche the "I want an arcane halfcaster" guy was looking for, I don't usually rush to give multiclassing as the solution to something.
>>
>>52053391
I wanna see the sword mage come back in some form and of course we'll have the melee options for the mystic for psionics.
>>
>>52050469
You make sure to use it properly.

If you turn a fire ball into a Frost Ball, describe it. If you make a save require a different attribute, describe how.

That is all I would require from a lore master. Just saying "Hurr, force damage fireball xd" would very quickly make me hate your guts, and ask you to reroll a new class you can actually figure out how to play.
>>
>>52054708
Assault Swordmage already came back in the form of Stone Sorcerer.
>>
>>52054375
>>52054337

If you're not a fighter, you pretty much just get extra attack.

Bladesingers and valor bards are plenty gishy. Plenty of people don't LIKE them, but they're fine for what they do. Anything not "gish" enough from the bladesinger stems from the fact that the current meta is GWM + PAM and not that bladesingers aren't "good enough." They have weak sauce hit points but their armor class should help compensate enough, plus False Life.
>>
Are the Dragonmark feats any good for a level 1 Wizard?
>>
>>52054785
Nope.
>>
>>52051792
>If ANYBODY in your party rolls stealth lower than the least perceptive creature's passive perception, none are surprised
Shit GM detected.

You ask for a group roll, and take the average of the group as their perception check. Assume that the party is automatically attempting to help the less stealthy members, so if your group rolls 18, 21, 22 and 4, the first 3 haven't ignored that the last guy made a shit ton of noise. They are actively helping him not revealing himself, so in this case, their stealth would be 16.

Of course, if someone, say, the heavy armour warrior who rolled a 4, decided to not be a part of the stealth roll, you adjust accordingly. The enemies will get an active perception check to see if this guy really did stumble in here on his own, but I'd they fail to spot the group, they will be surprised when 3 guys suddenly drop in from nowhere and shanks them.
>>
>>52053391
I know I'll be laughed out the door with it, but I can make an arcane paladin type.

Calling it Chromatic Knight or whatever. It's a problem when there really is no good catch-all term for a magic knight, so it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb (all PHB classes have only one word).

Gonna try to do something fun with it, but mostly just making it 1/1 with Pallys and Rangers, because the design principle is similar.
>>
>>52054789
Are there any good ones except Warcaster and Resilient?
>>
>>52054794
>Shit GM detected.

Dude, you have to come to terms that not everyone is going to use *your* houserules, okay? Just because a DM doesn't alter the rules to please you, doesn't make he's shit.

if the PCs want to surprise people, just like in fuckin AD&D, you will want to send the sneaky dudes ahead. Just basic logic.
>>
>>52054806
Spell Sniper
>>
>>52054806
I like Spell Sniper
>>
>>52054817
>>52054822
Call me an idiot but are there any good attack roll spells? I feel like Control spells are going to be better in most situations.
>>
>>52054839
I find Eldritch Blast neat to have, even if I'm a Wizard. But that's just me.
>>
>>52054839

If you have advantage from something like greater invisibility, chromatic orb and scorching ray work out alright in my experience. Chromatic orb is particularly handy when you're fighting something nasty with multiple elemental resistances. Bigby's hand is also awesome if you count that as an 'attack roll' spell though it straddles the line.
>>
>>52053465
EK is boring and trash
>>
>>52054905
It would key off Charisma though.
>>
>>52054839
It's useful for Warlocks
>>
>>52054839
Booming Blade and GFB are the iconic spells to use with spell sniper. It says nothing about "within your reach," just 5', and spell sniping is perfect for BB.

But yes, attack roll spells largely center around the lower level ones. Its more of a shoe in for warlock.
>>
>>52051753
>How close could desert and swamps be together, though?
There are swamp/marsh regions next to deserts in the real world.

Also remember that, technically, the arctic is a desert because of the low precipitation.
>>
First three pages (mostly just introductory and fluff text) of Tales from the Yawning Portal are out.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/TYP_Intro0227.pdf
>>
>>52054913
Boring yes, trash no. Still a fighter, and can be pretty golly-gosh-darn tanky.
>>
>>52053456

Anyone else?
>>
>>52053966
Breaking bound accuracy. Only min-maxer munchkin would like it.
>>
>>52054970
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>52053456
>>52055009
Miniature Sun
>>
hmm, what's a good way to set up scenarios where the range of longbows, and the ranges of different kinds of spells, are usable to their full extent?
>>
File: Hexblade v1.3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Hexblade v1.3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>52053391
Here, have a class that's based on the Paladin but thematically Warlocky.
>>
>>52055092
boat fight, chase scene
>>
>>52055092
CASTLE SIEGE
>>
Can I copy a spell to my spell book for which I have the spell slot, but not the requiered level to prepare?
>>
>>52053391
My personal opinion is that they dropped the ball when they released the final bard as a full caster. They could easily have shoved a beguiler-lite in and more inspiration options.

>>52053417
Which is a garbage class to play a weeaboo combat autist who just happens to have the best options of most martials at level 3.
>>
>>52055216
>making bards good is dropping the ball
>>
>>52055216
>Which is a garbage class to play a weeaboo combat autist who just happens to have the best options of most martials at level 3

Really? Seems relatively balanced to me.
>>
>>52055203

No. Spells you copy must be of a level you can prepare.
>>
>>52055216

The 5e bard being awesome, as it should be, is one of the better elements of the game, and valor bards are a fine arcane paladin type.

"Bard" and "cleric" just suffer from having wimpy sounding names. If they were called Skald and Crusader the proper tone would be conveyed.
>>
>>52055224
>Bards can only be good if they know spells
I fucking hated 3.5 and the 3.5 bard is still the pinnacle of the bard. Not because of its spells, but because of its abilities that aren't spells. Songs beyond countersong and song of rest. 4e's bard is also a great thing to pilfer, and of course they could easily have given it martial weapons access like the 2e bard had.

The only thing that seriously breaks the 3.5 spell list is Bard having Irresistible Dance as a level 6 spell.
>>
>>52055257
All bards across editions have been awesome
>Thinking bard sounds shit
Only insecure teenagers and those who didn't grow past that phase on bard and cleric for the name.
>>
>>52055276
>that phase hate on
I a word
>>
>>52055262

The idea that bards should be limited to support characters is retarded. The 1e bard encapsulates him perfectly in terms of flavor: he is a guy who has traveled the world and done it all, and has an answer to nearly every situation. Singing is just one toy in his toolbox.

The 4e bard is quite good (nice to be a charisma based twin striker at melee and range) but I tend to think the 5e valor bard sums him up the best.
>>
>>52055364
The 1e bard is a non-support bard that isn't confined to being a pure caster. The 2e bard is also not a support character unless your DM is an asshole who makes sure everyone is at equal level rather than equal XP.

The Ranger and Paladin are able to do both support and standing on their own without being merely spell dispensers. Shit, I'd have been okay with trading spell slots for inspiration as a mechanic if there had been more worthwhile inspiration options to gain.
>>
>>52055432
Why not just use this?
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Aarakocra
>>
>>52055388
>The 1e bard is a non-support bard that isn't confined to being a pure caster.

Right.

>without merely being spell dispensers

I don't understand what this means, unless you're implying that's what the 5e bard is. Both valor and lore bards can fight, with the latter being for beardier tricks.
>>
File: owlbear brown 5e.jpg (485KB, 800x884px) Image search: [Google]
owlbear brown 5e.jpg
485KB, 800x884px
New thread.

>>52055466
>>52055466
>>52055466
>>
>>52055472
They can fight but every buildomancer out there is going to whine endlessly if you're not primarily casting all the time and then joining on the chorus of casters to beg for 5 minute workdays, and then give you the evil eye for going Valor Bard or, god forbid, Blade.
>>
>>52053082
>>52053138
That feels completely unfair, though.

>You set up to try shooting the monk
>Okay, he rolled higher. He'll go right after your turn
>What do you do? No, you have to shoot him. No, you can't go AFTER the cleric, even though you've clearly said you want to attack after the cleric buffs you, they have to ready an action which limits their turn.
>Okay, you shoot him, and he catches the projectile and throws it back at you even though he doesn't know you're there. Not that you'd have got assassin's crit because he beat you initiative.
>Now it's his turn.

RAI is 'No backsies' but it's stupid when you can simply say 'Yeah, just don't roll intiative yet, you'll find out what the initiative order is then.'
>>
>>52052842
That is basically what my warlock is.
>Elder gods patron to have constant psychic communications with party
>detect thoughts on constant blast to learn more about my prey
>actor feat for audio and advantage on rolls
>bladelock to summon weapons on the fly after I've had to give up weapons to enter a secure location (also helps me justify to my DM strong "claw" or "fangs" if I am appearing as some animal)
>I also use that new UA warlock evocation that lets you learn any 2 languages on a long rest

All together my DM ruled the following. On stalking a target for the following time I can basically get an auto pass on deception checks (advantage AND +15) on the following people when I try to pass myself off as my target:
1 hour of stalking = Random people are convinced Im my target
1 day of stalking = people familiar with the target (co-workers, etc)
3 days of stalking = close friends
7 days of stalking = closest family members convinced
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.