[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 50

File: Catholic Space Nazis.jpg (71KB, 383x498px) Image search: [Google]
Catholic Space Nazis.jpg
71KB, 383x498px
"Playable Legiones Astartes (Homebrew) Soon" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

prev: >>51953854

What is the appeal of playing during the Great Crusade and Age of Darkness, for those who do it? On the other hand, if it's not for you, what quality of the period makes you so opposed to it?
>>
>>52034554
I've noticed kill teams made up of soldiers from several different regiments is hard to find in the Great Crusade. Bit more common during the Heresy, but oh well.

Either way, I just want a laser musket.
>>
>>52034554
I've never played anything but 40k, but I'd love to play GC/HH era stuff so I can play some loyal traitor legionaries.

Luna Wolves best wolves
>>
File: slaanesh_marine_painting2.jpg (180KB, 620x564px) Image search: [Google]
slaanesh_marine_painting2.jpg
180KB, 620x564px
THIS THREAD IS NOW UNDER CONTROL OF SLAANESH
READY YOUR ANUSES AND GLITTER UP YOUR TABLETOPS FOR A SLEW OF WARP DUST AND FINE, TENTACLED BOOTY
>>
30k is such a unique time, where everyone was at the top of their game. I'd love to play a 30k game, and I'm glad /tg/ is making a 30k supplement.
>>
>>52031938
Space Hulk
>>52028597
No. Standard char gen is hard capped at 40 or 45 depending on what Edition you are playing. You can get a maximum of +20 to a stat through spending XP. Some divinations also give a few extra points. So the absolute raw maximum you can get in any stat is around 68. You can get +/- 60 through various modifiers though, so it is quite possible to pretty much auto-succeed some tasks in certain situations.
>>52027989
Yes
>>
>>52027989
>rolling characters in 40K RPGs

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
How many times do I have to fucking say it
>>
>>52035753
>How many times do I have to fucking say it
I still regularly find myself in games where people not only prefer it, but enjoy it.

I don't mind it. More so when the goal is less to fulfil a power fantasy (or even capability fantasy) than it is to play a character whose struggles, failures, and eventual demise are the main source of fun and amusement.
>>
>>52035923
The way rolling works in these systems is just inherently shit however, and you really can't afford to be doing with that when combat can be so brutal. Besides, pointbuy still encourages you to have dump-stats, giving you inherent flaws. Rolling actually has a chance to make power fantasies when pointbuy can't.
>>
>>52035975
>you really can't afford to be doing with that when combat can be so brutal
You say that as though survival is a goal.

>Rolling actually has a chance to make power fantasies when pointbuy can't.
That's what rerolls are (not) for.
>>
>>52036030
I'm not entirely understanding your points here.

>characters only really come into their own when they're a couple thousand XP in
>he doesn't want to survive to this point at least

>rerolls
>plural
You only get one reroll, that's part of what makes rolling shit.
>>
>>52036099
It seems you really don't understand at all.
>>
A point-bought character still has flaws, they can still have struggles and a demise. My psyker is currently struggling with his power and the abundance thereof even, it's getting to his head and he may just push things a bit too far one day soon. Pointbuy however allows for just more satisfying attribute values, it means you can get your primary and secondary attributes to good values, instead of rolling 35 or under and then coming here crying about your rolls.
>>
I'm going to run a session where my characters are searching the polluted wastes around a major hive city for a seedy bar. What would be some threats they could encounter?
>>
>>52036230
Man half of my post was lost, I had a link to >>52036143 and was asking to explain then, since none of your arguments make much sense.
>>
>>52035753

Random chance > point buy

Otherwise, you're focusing so much on avoiding rolling it starts to question why you bother with a PnP RPG. It's not like entire class requirements are hard set like AD&D's Paladin's crazy 17 charisma. Talents yes, but the point of an RPG is to develop your character, flaws and all and not always control every little detail.

And if your character were to die along the way, that's what new character gen is so fun for. More chances, more opportunities.
>>
I ind rolling one stat at a time is the most shit system, becasue it forces to you play something you might not want to. I find it far more satisfying to roll everything and then assign stats as I wish. And while PB gives you maximum customization, you still end up with a meh character in the end, at least with rolling you have a decent chance of getting lots of good stats. Hell, in a game I'm getting ready for, I rolled pretty shit and ended up with low to mid 30s in most stats while most of the other players average 37-41 in ALL of their stats.
>>
>>52036455
>Random chance > point buy
Nice opinion.

>rolling is a necessity for RPGs
No.

>can't have flaws, can't develop your character if you pointbuy
No.
>>
>>52036282

Assuming DH or covert action OW group?

Mutants, criminals, gangers, more mutants, corrupt Enforcers, corrupt/trigger-happy PDF, and toll booths.
>>
>>52036455
Except that statistics in 40KRPG are far more important and gradient than in DnD. 7 or 8 points can make a HUGE difference. It also means the dice determine what you play, which I think is stupid as fuck.
>>
>>52036480
>roll everything and then assign stats as I wish
Which is not RAW, so I hope your GM knows you are doing this.

>you still end up with a meh character in the end
What? You know you can give yourself max values in pointbuy, right? The downside being that you'll end up with a dump attribute or two.

Jesus christ though you rollfags can't even argue consistently.
>rolling makes more natural characters with average stats that's why it's good!
>rolling has a chance to make uber powerful characters with all good stats that's why it's good!
>>
>>52036487

>no no no

Not an argument. You've countered nothing and pointed out only that anyone positing an alternative is immediately shut out.

>implying RPGs don't need rolls

Must be fun to play with minmaxers like you. Let me guess: your favorite character got offed by a chance shot in one game and you avoid rolling whenever possible.

So, why play a d% system at all then? It's got a wider range than even D&D's dice mix.
>>
>>52036287
>none of your arguments make much sense
Who said anything about arguments? You can't argue any amount of enjoyment into something someone else cannot find enjoyment in. Either you get it and it's fun, or you don't and it's not.

And you sir, do not get it.
>>
>>52036549

Never had a lucky series of rolls, have you? Not our fault, and it's telling that you're making an assumption that amazing stats and natural can't happen.

>mfw rolled Tom Brady: the spess muhreen
>>
File: 1365945707310.png (49KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1365945707310.png
49KB, 250x250px
>>52036569
>all of those assumptions

You made a bunch of false statements. They are just blatantly false, that is why I said no. There's nothing to argue here, because your post was made up of falsities and opinions.

>>52036585
Pic related.

>>52036605
What has that got to do with anything? I don't want to make Gary Stu the Mahreen, that's why I pointbuy. Pointbuy gives you a nice amount of points that you will end up with flawed attributes, you can't make someone good at everything and I like that about it. At the same time, you can get the attributes you want to max values, so then you're not coming into these threads crying about a low or average roll on your primary attribute.
>>
>>52036652
Try this. Hopefully without giving back basic bitch attitude, if you can manage that. (I'm willing to be you can't, on all points, but surprise me on the attitude)

Set aside your "satisfying attribute values". Stop valuing set ranks in "primary and secondary attributes". How do you have fun with the character that produces?
>>
>>52036652

Now tell me, what's false about playing an RPG to play the role that life hands you? You're literally stating that you cannot have fun by playing that way, because you should be picking your stats instead. You're also stating that randomness in character gen is bad because...? Your argument falls apart outside of being a minmaxer.

That's at best enjoyment-based opinion, at worst projecting no-fun on anyone who wants to give random chance a try.
>>
>>52036732
>Stop valuing set ranks in "primary and secondary attributes"
Why?

If I have no idea what I want to make, then I roll. Rolling creates very random characters, it's not ideal if you have something in mind.

If you have something in mind, for eg. "I want to play a psyker", then you now have a primary attribute, Willpower. This isn't something you can just stop thinking about, having a high Willpower is fundamental to operating as a Psyker. So as soon as you have an idea of a role in mind, you have a primary attribute that you need to get a good value in, and you'll have secondary attribute/s you also want 35 or above, rolling immediately becomes immensely flawed.
>>
I compromise, unless I'm running a horror game: rolling and allowing the players to select where the rolls go.

Horror games are meant to give you sucky characters. It's the same reason RE characters move at the speed of molasses
>>
>>52036845
>Why?
Because you're trying to understand how to find enjoyment in an experience that is entirely subjective and relies on your own answer. I have shown you the door, but you are the one who has to walk through it.
>>
File: miss_book.jpg (349KB, 706x914px) Image search: [Google]
miss_book.jpg
349KB, 706x914px
I did like reading how people killed something like this.

But I prefer stories of hard fights and not clever, but very quickly killing circumstances.
>>
>>52036893
I think you're entirely misunderstanding what I'm complaining about here. I've rolled plenty of characters in plenty of system, I don't need you to "enlighten" me on "enjoyment".

What I'm trying to say here, what I've said so many times before, is that rolling in 40K RPGs is flawed. It's shit. You roll attribute by attribute, and you only get one reroll. If you want to make a combat character, there's about 4 attributes you want at a decent level, and if you roll there's a good chance multiple of those will end up as poor results and again, you only get one reroll.

So with that warning, the warning I've given so many times before, stop fucking coming here and complaining "wahh I rolled bad!" Rolling is not necessary, if you're worried about rolling low, fucking pointbuy. It's not even a splatbook/errata thing, pointbuy is right there in the fucking core book, I just hate it when people act as though it's not even an option.
>>
>>52036893

This. Every character, every game I've ever been in. Roll to see what you can be, and see where adversity takes you.
>>
>>52036961

You know, you could roll an entire array and arrange as desired.

Splits the difference between full point buy and roll once per stat.
>>
>>52036997
No, no you can't without GM approval. That is not RAW.
>>
>>52036997

Asking the GM is not out of the question. Nor is running a game with that rule.
>>
>>52037022

Meant to respond to

>>52037007
>>
>>52036961
Nah mate. Take your own advice. If it booty bothers you so hard, hide and ignore.

>stop fucking coming here and complaining "wahh I rolled bad!"
Never have, never will.

>if you're worried about rolling low
I'm not.

>I just hate it when people act as though it's not even an option
I don't.
>>
>>52037022
Sure, but in these threads I like to talk RAW, because a lot of people bring up the assigning rolls thing to the point where people think that's how you roll in 40K RPGs.

Furthermore I don't understand how that actually works, given that you get extra dice and shit to roll on "favoured" and "unfavoured" attributes depending on your Home World etc. It's a shitty attempt to patch up an awful system that doesn't even mesh well with how rolling works, and if you're just assigning the good values to the attributes you want anyway, why not just pointbuy?
>>
So, what's the best party comp for a Dark Heresy game where the GM makes you Space Hulk?
>>
>>52037053
Yes because just hiding problems is a fine solution.

>I I I
I'm not talking about you then, am I? I'm annoyed at the people who actually do those things, good for you if you're not one of them.
>>
>>52037054

Might be because I'm more used to OW, where the stats are bumps and not spare dice entirely like in DH2E. It splits the difference by letting you pick you faves to support your class - like point buy - but also puts some limits on the group to keep things from going overspecialized.
>>
>>52037073
For someone who isn't talking about me, that's a long string of comments involving questions and failed attempts on understanding my source of fun and amusement.
>>
>>52037162
I get that sure, but I think half of the 40K RPGs have it similar to DH where you roll an extra dice and pick the lowest/highest two, which doesn't work with assigning rolls. Also, not all GMs are going to allow that anyway, so I find it better to assume that assigning rolls isn't an option.

>>52037173
I was mostly trying to decipher what you were trying to argue since you were talking in such a cryptic fucking way. Also, you only just revealed now that you aren't part of the problem, so why did you start arguing it to begin with?
>>
>>52037230
>why did you
I posted because in >>52035753, the anon I'm assuming is you started REEEEEEing like a retarded faggot over not liking rolling characteristics.

>arguing
Hoo boy. Settle the fuck down, el autismo champione. There's no argument here, other than you trying to convince everyone that rolling is the devil's method of character generation.
If I were arguing, I would be doing something other than presenting personal preference, and pointing out that you simply don't get it.
>>
Couple of things I noticed for the The Good The Bad and the Alpha Legion

-Anvillus Backpack just abruptly cuts out. Its entry is unfinished
-Raven Guard darkwing storm eagle says its transport capacity is lower, but then it says "follows all the rules for normal storm eagles." Is its transport capacity lower?
>>
I'm new to DW and so is my group. I've home brewed some enemies and want to know third party opinions of people that know the rule in play.

The Idea is players are ground traveling via bikes and have to deal this the first Enemy Wryxs : fast and attacking. Wryxs hunt the second enemy; Panopi: Fast and armored (more so a distraction and to make pilot(personal) checks against.)

I guess this would be Elites: Wryxs: http://pastebin.com/HwAyYfjg

Not meant for combat, but I stated put just to have numbers: Panopi: http://pastebin.com/h3s0mMkC
>>
>>52037595
Enjoy your TPK
>>
>>52037706
How so? What needs to be nerfed?
>>
I have a particularly dumb question and I feel I must ask it.

Is it possible for a Grey Knight to be a permanent part of a Deathwatch Kill Team? We have a member of our group who wants to play a GK and we're not sure if it's possible.
>>
>>52037595
>http://pastebin.com/HwAyYfjg
Those Talons need to be nerfed, even Genestealers don't hit that hard. Or lower their WS.
>>
>>52038244
>even Genestealers don't hit that hard
>Rending Claws (1d10+12 R; Pen 5, Razor Sharp)
>>
>>52038297
Oh damn, I misread that, excuse me.

Have a BT Art as an apology
>>
>>52038244
Hows this look:
Talons (1d10+5 R; Pen 5; Razor sharp)
>>
>>52038223
It is, but if anything they would actually be underpowered compared to normal, since they can't take advantage of most of the usual rules.

fluff wise you'd have to write in some justification such as chaos-tainted xenos.
>>
>>52038051
All of it's weapons and it's stats in general. It has the ability to reliably one shot a low to mid level character and whatever it doesn't kill with it's first attack isn't going to be that far away from taking crits on the next turn. wounds left. 5 Pen is insane, it pretty much ignores everything short of carapace and power armor. For reference, the only thing's that have anywhere near a +10 to damage are the largest of heavy weapons and tank cannons. One of these things would make for a good mini-boss maybe, if all of the players are well prepared and can focus fire it down in a turn or two, but you are going to lose probably a player or two if it gets the drop on them.

Your average player is only going to have 10-12 wounds, with a soak of 5-7 This thing pretty much ignores armor and has a huge minimum damage so you can expect a more realistic soak of 3-4 on your players which still leaves them fucked when your max damage is in the 20s.
>>
>>52038376

They effectively have Power Swords for hands.
>>
>>52038340
It's still horrific to face, even without the genestealer's unnatural strength. Not sure if that was the intent, tho.
>>
>>52038340
Somebody get those marines a sandwich.
>>
Ok so I lowered the stats a bit and got rid of the unnatural strength.
>>
>>52038544
Are you running 1E or 2E?
>>
>>52038569
It's Deathwatch.
>>
>>52038587

Nevermind then, I misread and thought you were throwing this thing at a team of newbie acolytes. I have 0 experience with DW and so can't really comment on this creation of yours.
>>
>>52037353
>read someone's post incorrectly
>then proceed to argue with many posts
>"lel I'm not arguing"
>>
>>52038747
Don't worry anon. Now that you've found a way to force an argument on whether there's an argument in progress, I'm sure you'll be able to shitpost all the way to bump limit, get the last word in when this hits page 11, and finally not just be the lesser man, but the superlative least.
>>
>>52039122
>all these assumptions

Wew lad.
>>
Are my OW PCs overpowered?

They all have IG flak armor (4 armor all locations), TB of 4, and between 15 and 17 wounds. This is only their 4th session and they have more soak and more wounds than an Ork Boy. Do I need to be sending Nobs at them to give them a challenge?
>>
>>52034554
does the hardboiled detective exist in the adeptus arbites? or are they all just mindless judge dredds?

asking because i want to play a detective character that's kinda like the mixture of pic related and dick tracy.
>>
Ok, so we did chargen today on an Only War game, and I'm trying to figure some stuff out.

There's two Heavy Gunners in my group, one of them being me. The other one is going for the Heavy Stubber, and so I figured I might instead go for a more support role, taking our favored heavy weapon as a Mortar and using that.

However, looking over the Mortar, it doesn't seem that impressive as a weapon. It's difficult to use, doesn't seem to deal too much damage, and the talents related to it don't seem to be very useful.

Is it as bad as it looks, or am I just falling into theory without the practice on the table?
>>
>>52040029
Any reason you wouldn't take an automatic mortar instead? 5 round clip, 50kg, and you can put it down and still use it within 100m, plus act as your own spotter.

>>52039881
They're kinda tough. Whether they're OP is up to what you throw at them.
>>
>>52040090
GM wanted to avoid using the more exotic weapons for standard kit. I can ask, though.

But I'm just curious if I'm making the wrong choice here as far as specializing in a weapon.
>>
>>52040131
You can see the minimum range and the lack of ammo. It's not absolutely terrible, but it's more situational than other weapons, and you can find yourself unable to employ such a weapon properly indoors or at close range.
>>
>>52040164
Yea. I think I'm going to work on a Missile Launcher build instead. Lot of the same utility, not as much weird shit to deal with.

Not a whole lot of talents related to it, though.
>>
>>52040017
Sure, there are heaps of personalities they could have.
>>
>>52040029
Well, they do shoot *over* things.

So you could be in cover and fire away at the enemy and they can't fire back.
>>
>>52040346
oh ok
>>
So me and some friends figured something out while playing DH 2e.

If you buy Ambidextrous, Two-Weapon Wielder and Two-Weapon Master and equip your character with Recoil Gloves, you could theoretically dual-wield Hotshot Lasguns and shoot both at the same time without penalties
>>
>>52041224
Sure, but it's a hell of an investment and you'd need the carry weight for all that too.
>>
>>52041283
Somewhere around 1600 exp as a warrior, give or take. Also yes, it's a bit heavy.

But on the plus side, you'll have two hotshot lasguns
>>
>>52041338
Similarly though you could just take a heavy stubber and upgrade to a heavy bolter or even autocannon later, which would cost much less XP wise and y'know, requires less requisition tests.
>>
>>52041379
A heavy bolter as a normal human? And you were talking about carry weight...
>>
>>52041570
A Heavy Bolter is 40kg. A heavy gunner character is probably going to want to load up on Toughness anyway because they'll be a big target, so at 50 Toughness and 30 Strength you've got 56kg of carry weight, plenty enough for a Heavy Bolter. If you go to Strength 40 you can even comfortably carry a backpack ammo supply as well.
>>
>>52036455
I like the random roll but assigning the stat rolls yourself, so you actually get to play the character you wanted. Instead of ending up with the 25 intelligence sage with strength and toughness in the 40s or the assassin who can't seem to find the dangerous end of either melee or ranged weapon and has 24 agility but sick fellowship, may as well just random roll every part of the character creation and enjoy your feral world admec mystic.
>>
>>52041713
Just so long as your GM has okayed that as a houserule.
>>
>>52041713
>Instead of ending up with the 25 intelligence sage with strength and toughness in the 40s or the assassin who can't seem to find the dangerous end of either melee or ranged weapon and has 24 agility but sick fellowship
DH2e, at least, the choice of role comes in stage 3. Rolling characteristics is part of stage 1.
>>
>>52040164
I had a player try to shoulder fire the mortar once. His next character wasn't half as dumb.
>>
>>52041945
Knee Mortars, on the other hand, are cool as fuck though
>>
>>52041992
They'll shatter your leg if you're retarded enough to launch it while it's on your knee.
>>
>>52042033
>However, any soldier or marine who tried to fire a captured Type 89 in this fashion received a severe bruise (and sometimes a broken thigh bone) from the hefty recoil.

Shatter is a bit of strong word in this case
>>
Hmm... how many weapons would you say is on an acceptable and not-crazy level for a Guardsman?

1 ranged weapon, 1 pistol and 1 melee weapon?
>>
>>52043277
Whatever's within your carry capacity.
>>
>>52043277
Dark Heresy or Only War?
>>
>>52043393
Dark Heresy, 2E
>>
>>52043431
Them probably...

1 ranged weapon / 1 specialty weapon (flamer, launcher, et cetera), 1 pistol / carbine, 1 melee, grenades

Never forget grenades, use them correctly and they will save your ass.
>>
>>52043510
Addendum: It is never a bad idea to bring enough Kaboom to make your own door and/or reduce the enemy to a smoking crater.
>>
>>52037065
Play Only War or Deathwatch, then.
>>52039141
The end point, for all of you fucking faggots, is rolling works for the people that want it to.
It's an option, and no, it doesn't fail simply because you can't optimize purposefully.
You can get by well even end game with 40s across the board, well doable with ANY character, because gear+skill bumps+stat bumps all exist, and are not restricted arbitrarily.
That this argument is even happening is due to the 3.PF plague where rolling objectively does not work well due to math being rigidly locked beyond the player's ability to influence.
>>
>>52039881
>Are my OW PCs overpowered?
No, it sounds like they can survive a bad situation, rather than fold up like cardboard against any xeno they encounter.
That said, they are idiots for blowing their xp on Sound Con so early. If skill checks come up, they are gonna flub them hard, especially if it's shit like logic, lores, tech use, security.
>>
>>52044498
>it sounds like they can survive a bad situation,

So OP by definition. Thanks.
>>
>>52044530
Only if you are under the impression that humans are actually weaklings in the rpgs, anon.
Play them a bit, you'd be surprised.
In DH1e, I had a bone starting guardsman outwrestle an ork boy and pull him off his squig mount. Same pc later went 1v1 with a meganob, parrying it's klaw, then, when getting crushed to death in said klaw, won the strength check to break free from the grapple.
tl;dr stop being a meme'ing tabletop faggot.
>>
>>52044588

Not the guy you're replying to, but Have you considered that you might be playing it wrong? This is 40k, not some game where the PCs matter. Failure is the standard; success is just what happens occasionally. If you aren't going through PCs faster than in a game of Paranoia, you're probably playing mary sue faggots.
>>
>>52045243
>doubling down on retardation
>>
>>52045243
>If you aren't going through PCs faster than in a game of Paranoia,
Paranoia is a game where you are expected to go through multiple character sheets per session. Therefore, character creation is largely random, involves minimal thought, takes less than a few minutes, and one gets a total of six "extra lives" as standard. By contrast, 40KRPG chargen is much more complex and involved, taking anywhere from 15 minutes (A vet breezing through without thinking) to an hour (Someone actually considering all possibilities), and players will usually have between one and three "extra lives", five at absolute max. You assert Paranoia is meant to be much more lethal than Paranoia. Therefore, either 40KRPG is fundamentally badly designed in the single most crucial zone for that sort of thing (Quick, brainless chargen), and is therefore A Bad Game, or you're talking out your ass really obviously. Pick your position.
>>
>>52034554
Alright, /tg/. Here's my latest homebrew weapon. It's a bit weird, but that's actually the point.

Vyria-Pattern Hunting Rifle

| Basic | 100m |S/3/- | 1d10+4 | 0 Pen | 18 | Full | Felling (2) | 4kg | Scarce |

Efficient Design:
The simple design and stalwart machine spirit of this weapon are well-suited to being adapted to suit the needs of its user. Regardless of regiment, it is treated as a Favored Basic Weapon for the purposes of customization. However, the Trade (Armorer) test required to customize the weapon is increased in difficulty to Challenging (+0) for regiments in which is is not favored, to reflect the lack of personal familiarity with the design.

Custom Made:
The Vyria-Pattern Hunting Rifle was made to be altered. Its machine spirit seems to delight in being optimized and specialized, and anyone does so quickly finds its true potential realized. Whenever certain customizations are applied, additional effects are provided. The effects go as follows: Sawn-Off - Proven (4), Extended Barrel - Pen 3, Manual Operation - Accurate, Reinforced - Ogryn-Proof, Sacred Inscription - Sanctified.

The innocuously named "Vyrai-Pattern Hunting Rifle" is far less mundane than its named first implies. Firstly, the design itself is native to the pseudo-deathworld of Vyria V, a wasteland still recovering from a cataclysm millennia old. The Vyria-Pattern Hunting Rifle is a design that has been steadily modified over that period until about 200 years ago, when it reached its current state. Rugged and adaptable, the machine spirits within these strange weapons are notoriously loyal and hardy. The Mechanicus Explorators who found Vyria, after 100 years and 67 accusations of tech-heresy, were able to have the design included into the Mechanicus canon, and now these rifles are produced en-mass on Forgeworld Vyria.

Criticism is welcome.
>>
>>52045635
You made a space AR-15, you schmuck.
>>
>>52045648
:D
>>
>>52045635
>Sawn-Off - Proven (4)
I want to punch you in the face for being this retarded, in the off chance that I might be able to knock some sense into you.
>>
>>52045819
Good point, actually. At most, that should probably be Proven (2), and that's pretty generous as it is.
>>
File: 1462471493648.png (2MB, 990x1315px) Image search: [Google]
1462471493648.png
2MB, 990x1315px
>tfw your game is going to get really tough, and you have to Metal Gear it
>tfw you DO go full Metal Gear
>Rising
>RULES OF NATURE begins playing
Storytime will have to wait, tho.
>>
>>52045900
How often will Proven 2 come into play, really, when you can substitute DoS and be better for it?
>>
File: cry.jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
26KB, 640x360px
>>52045907

>tfw our first Deathwatch session was against a daemon-possessed Warhound Titan on the spire of a hive city
>Just four of us, rank 2
>rules of nature was playing
>the game is ending today after a year and a half, rank 8

not sure how to deal with this feel friendos
>>
>>52045929
Hm, that does make sense. So, here are some alternatives I can think of:

>Felling (4) (Replaces, does not stack)
>Scatter

Thoughts?
>>
>>52045900
That's not the point you moron. In what way does shortening a weapon's barrel somehow make it do more damage? The ONLY benefit of reducing a weapons barrel length is to make it more concealable or portable in confined spaces. You are sacrificing power and accuracy and even reliability depending on the guns method of operation. You can handwave all of that for energy weapons and shit, but for ballistic weapons it pisses me off to no end when I see this kind of shit.
>>
>>52046041
Okay, then what effect would you suggest I give a sawn-off?
>>
>>52046041
Dude, sht up, you aren't adding anything than your realism boner that no one really cares about.
>>52046019
Scatter, yo.
>>
>>52045929
>How often will Proven 2 come into play, really, when you can substitute DoS and be better for it?
This is why it drives me nuts when people balk at Proven 4+ when, really, it's pretty much inferior to Tearing unless it gets to 6 or higher or you're dealing with 3 or more dice. People think Proven is far, far better than it actually is.
>>
>>52045980
Today?
Damn, bro, that's a melancholy feel.
Going out with a bang?
>>
>>52046154
Not him, another player, but we can only hope

>>52045980
Stop shitposting and get gaem
>>
>>52046708
What does picking up chicks have to do with Deathwatch?
>>
>>52046088
Alright, Scatter it will be.
>>
File: 1485516799827.jpg (143KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
1485516799827.jpg
143KB, 600x902px
>>52047026
Word.
>>
I need help fucking my OW PCs with feral Orks

Last session they fought 4 gretchin and a boy armed with bows and knives. One of my players ran the numbers and realized that since bows have Primitive (6) and knives are 1d5 flat that neither weapon can physically harm the PCs, who all have soaks of 7 or 8.

Is there any way I can make bows or blades dangerous?
>>
>>52047343
They're Orks.

Explosive arrows, treat like frag grenades only much greater range. Knives are a bit trickier, chain-weapons maybe? Can't remember if Orks build chainswords, could be looted
>>
>>52047343
Have them use better primitive weapons. Spears, axes, that kind of thing. Also, if the orks are the kunnin sort, have them use poison weapons and traps. And poison traps.
>>
>>52047343
>bows have Primitive (6)
Why would that apply to feral worlders?
Alright, here is what you do: You take long bow stats from Inquisitor's Handbook, which skirt the primitive nonsense. I believe they are
s/-/- 1d10+2 Pen 2
Instead of knives, they have choppas.
They use weird shit. Ever see a biter squig on an arrow? NOW YOU HAVE!
EVER SEE A BOARBOY? NOW YOU FUCKING HAVE!
EVER SEE A SQUIGGOTH??
NOW.
YOU.
FUCKING.
HAVE.
>>
>>52047419
Bomb squig on arrow!
>>
>>52047447
Smelly squig on arrow!
>Blast 2, on hit, makes you stink to high heaven, test toughness or take -20 for 1d5 rounds, and covers you in oily pink goo, giving orks a +10 on tests to attack you
>>
>>52047383
>>52047386
>>52047419
Great suggestions guys, thanks. They've so far only fought against bows in the hands of gretchin so far so I'll have the Orks wield longbows, fluff them as Ork bows too big for gretchin. I can't have the greenskins start using better weapons just yet since the PCs haven't left any survivors to spur an arms race, but I'll throw more boys at them after this, and traps are a great idea too.

Are there stats for boarboyz in any of the 40k systems? I could probably find some in WHFB 2e but would prefer it already converted
>>
>>52040017
I've played a hardboiled Arbites detective before. Lho sticks and noir monologues galore

He ended up as a Saint
>>
40k RPG ERP recruiting when?
>>
>>52047498
Drunk squig on arrow!

>Blast 2, corrosive, toxic test toughness -30 for 1d5 rounds and then immediately also take a willpower test at -10 as all the orks are now laughing at the humie covered in squig puke
>>
>>52049017

Dark Heresy 2E, Only War, or Black Crusade?
>>
>>52050161
I'd be down for any!
>>
>>52044473
No you retard, you're still missing the entire point.

The end point is that if you want to roll, understand the risks that come with 40K RPGs crappy rolling system and don't come here bitching about rolling low.

Rolling only works if you don't really care about what role you want to fulfill, or if you get your GM to approve of assigning rolls to attributes rather than the RAW of rolling attributes one at a time.

>more assumptions
>trying to blame stuff you don't understand on another system
I hate 3.5 and I've never even played PF.
>>
>>52051860
>No you retard, you're still missing the entire point.
>all those wrong assumptions being repeated
>time to 'wew lad'
>>
>>52051942
>all those wrong assumptions being repeated
???

Keep in mind you're the one who entirely misinterpreted the original post.
>>
File: Man Run Out Of Tears.jpg (68KB, 700x415px) Image search: [Google]
Man Run Out Of Tears.jpg
68KB, 700x415px
>>52045980
>>52046708

Oh, you guys. I know it's you. And it's over. It's done. We have come to terms.
>>
File: The_Ayatollah_of_Rock'n'Rolla.jpg (99KB, 561x480px) Image search: [Google]
The_Ayatollah_of_Rock'n'Rolla.jpg
99KB, 561x480px
So a friend rolled up a psyker with the the bloodlust malediction for an upcoming DH2 campaign, and since I have no idea what to make myself, or actually I have too many ideas, and since I know he will inevitably fuck up his willpower test to not kill someone super important, I figured I'd need someone to hold him down until he chills out. So I'm making a fucking Lord Humongus. Feral World Heirophant, either Astra Telepathica or Mutant background. Astra Telepathica representing a local strong man who just happened to be around when the black ships needed an extra hand wrangling psykers and they decided to keep him around for his psyker wrangling skills, or Mutant just representing a big guy. Also never played a diplomancer before, and with these aptitudes, he'll have sick social skills too, especially intimidate.

I'll probably pick mutant now that I'm thinking about it, that also accounts for the leather and revolver.
>>
>>52051997
>being this obtuse
Here's your (you) for assuming others' (you)ness.
>>
>>52052044
Oh right, yeah I love it when people who have no stake in an argument jump in.
>>
>>52052104
It's almost like you don't actually want to be here, talking to anonymous posters who disagree with your vehemently held opinion.
>>
>>52052127
>opinion

>it's opinion that rolling produces incredibly random characters
>it's opinion that rolling is generally worse than pointbuy and can give you sets of shitty characteristics that fail at being any role
>it's opinion that people come here to bitch about "wahh I rolled low Willpower when I wanted to be a psyker!"
>>
>>52052162
It's an opinion that it needs to be combated. Face it, you're more of a shit stain on this thread than any complaining roller.
>>
File: 1487915484165.gif (1MB, 794x514px) Image search: [Google]
1487915484165.gif
1MB, 794x514px
So any of you blokes got any statted enemy encounters, or the like to share with the rest of us? Or perhaps any of these you've put to good use against players?

Bonus points for posting their full mechanical details.
>>
Black Crusade question, is it possible to bind Daemons to Armor? Would we just add their WP to the AP?
>>
File: 1436798909851.jpg (46KB, 692x451px) Image search: [Google]
1436798909851.jpg
46KB, 692x451px
If you have 35 agility, unnatural agility (1) and are wearing an armour with a max agility of 35, do you still get 4 agility bonus?

Also, book says unnatural bonuses are added as degrees of success to successful charactaristics test equal to half the unnatural bonus, but makes no mention of whether you round up or down with odd numbers.
>>
File: readthefuckingphb.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
readthefuckingphb.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
So I might be playing in a Dark Heresy game soon, I'm very new to it and I'm currently just scrolling through the Core Rulebook, I've played a shit ton of D&D 5E but that's it. I have my eyes set on playing a Psyker, any suggestions for cool Psyker character concepts and the pros and cons of each of each discipline? (explaining like i'm a retarded monkey would be helpful since i'm new)
>>
>>52053722
Oh, and for clarification I'm playing 2nd edition, just in case that's not assumed here
>>
>>52052357
>appealing for a lack of ignorance is bad
>>
So Ordo Sicarius, the Inquisition Ordo tasked with watching over the Officio Assassinorum tasks a number of Assassin-Inquisitors that watch the Officio from within, but also to assist Inquisitors (including, but not limited to Sicarius) as a known quantity.

How to stat an Assassin-Inquisitor? Just slap a few of both the temple assassin traits with Inquisitor stuff?
>>
>>52054865
I figure they would also be involved with hunting down and shutting down Death Cults and looking after Inquisition contracts for Assassin Orders.
>>
>>52048876
Jesus, how'd he die?
>>
>>52054865
I feel like they would probably mostly Inquisitor, with maybe access to temple specific gear. Obviously there are no Eversor Inquisitors, but an Inquisitor attached to the temple might make limited use of select combat drugs.

I see Inquisitors attached the the Assassin temples tasked more with keeping up and watching the various assassins and not doing actual assassinations themselves. So their gear and training would probably be more setup to actually counter the assassins themselves, with their main goal keeping an eye on the temple leaders and making sure they aren't doing anything hinky on the side.
>>
>>52053722
It's going to be really, really different from what you're used to, in both system and setting. System-wise everyone is very underpowered, expendable, and unimportant. Setting-wise, magic is an abomination and psykers run a very real risk of opening a portal to hell every time they use even the slightest power. Or just exist, frankly.
>>
>>52054966
Let's face it though, an Eversor with a Rosette would be pretty hilariously terrifying.

It was my impression that the regular Sicarius Inquisitors watch over the Assassins, and Assassin-Inquisitors essentially watching for corruption from within. The Lexicanum gives the impression that they're capable assassins that are not attached to a temple who complete an anonymous mission and are trained first as a Sicarius Inquisitor and then given Temple Training. In many cases, the best counter to a rogue Temple Assassin is the same kind.

If you're not going to lance broadside them from orbit, that is.

Though they'd probably dodge it
>>
>>52054613
Poorly applying logic and fallacies is bad.

Carrying one side of an argument against people who don't even represent the other side of the argument, when that other side is nowhere to be found, as though you have some kind of moral standing or obligation? That's worse.
>>
>>52055511
>against people who don't even represent the other side of the argument
Why are you standing up then for people who are ignorant of how the rolling works, when you aren't one of those people yourself?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1I2uSDJVMmS
>>
>>52055528
I'm not standing up for anyone. I'm suggesting you should stand down, for the lack of people currently "coming here and complaining "wahh I rolled bad!""

When they flood the thread, then by all means, come back and verbally tear them to bits.

When they're not here? Calm your damn tits.
>>
>>52055605
There was one person, I replied to that one person. I would have left it there had a couple autists not start jumping down my throat.
>>
>>52055626
... So you couldn't leave it alone, and they're the autists?

Hmm.
>>
>>52055651
You still can't leave me alone, so yes you're being an autist.
>>
File: 1388952120233.jpg (82KB, 450x375px) Image search: [Google]
1388952120233.jpg
82KB, 450x375px
>>
File: 1475025263191.jpg (125KB, 966x828px) Image search: [Google]
1475025263191.jpg
125KB, 966x828px
>>52055665
>>
>>52055605
>>52055626
>>52055651
>>52055665
Just fuck already.
>>
>>52046041
i kind of agree with the idea, but not the tone.

imho a sawed off shotgun should just be a shotgun with the campact mod.

of coarse cutting the ammo in half doesn't make sense, but the rules for easier concealment and shorter range makes logical sense in my mind
>>
>>52040017
the arbites is a huge imperium wide organization, the jacked up 'street judge' types are the grunts.
#NotAllArbites
>>
File: Primer-19-lasgun.jpg (321KB, 1806x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Primer-19-lasgun.jpg
321KB, 1806x1002px
>>52035046
>I just want a laser musket.
The Cadians' Kantrael-pattern lasguns aren't the only ones around. If you're playing 30K you can even get fancy with all the funky variants.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lasgun#Known_Patterns
>>52037065
Equipment is your primary concern there. You're gonna want boarding shields and flamers, but shotguns will do in a pinch. Avoid squishy specs like the Operator if possible, but a techie to get you through a door isn't a bad idea.
>>52039881
They've got what I'd consider standard armor and toughness for fighty people, and I commend their foresight, but they've foolishly invested XP in wounds instead of dodge and lethality to avoid getting wounded. They're tough, but Dark Eldar Splinter Weapons are an appropriate challenge - DE are squishier than they are, but very good at dodging, so they'll have to think and focus fire to bring them down, while they're being threatened by Full Auto weapons with the Toxic quality forcing Toughness tests against 1d10 ignoring reduction every time they take wounds.
>>52040017
In a nutshell, yes. Go for it.
If you want really hardboiled, they could be a disgraced ex-Arbite making ends meet as a gumshoe, which also gives the GM some great opportunities to write you into the story.
>>52046104
Proven does help on fullauto weapons spraying enough hits that you'll miss out if you're relying on DoS to shore up the attack on just one hit, but yeah, Tearing is generally superior.
>>52057913
It's a semiautomatic rifle, not a shotgun. Giving it Scatter works mechanically but not thematically, IMO.
>>52047343
Remember the Orks' strength bonuses. It doesn't matter how shit their damage rolls are after Primitive gimping if they're STRONK enough.
Alternatively, looted mono-weapons.
>>52047498
>>52049883
You, I like you.
>>
>>52035542
>WP35 psyker is fucked
Nah, 35 is alright. Three advances puts them at a full 50, and with mods from power difficulty and a Psy Focus they'll be fine. Manifesting some of the tougher Powers might be tricky, but you don't need a 40 in every stat for it to matter - 40 is the human max at gen without homeworld bonuses, so 35 is pretty solid.
>>52036455
>the point of an RPG is to [...] not always control every little detail.
Some people like to have some control over the character they start with. If they want to play a particular character, and see how they develop, they might resent having to make a new one. I favor >>52036480's 'roll and assign' approach, as does every GM I've ever played with, but I don't hate rolling down the line like some here do - it's just that when that happens, you have to make a character around the rolls instead of fitting the rolls into a concept, unless you have some bizarre fondness for wacky inconsistencies. There's a REASON the book's chargen procedure that presents down-the-line rolling as the default has you roll for Characteristics BEFORE it has you select Homeworld, Background, and Role.
It's like >>52036585 says: different people enjoy different things, so different GMs and groups should choose what they prefer, and maybe experiment with alternatives sometimes.
>>52037054
>extra dice [...] depending on your Home World
Yeah, that complicates what was an elegant solution before 2e. Some GMs just have you roll homeworld-modified ones separately from the pool, but that can fuck you over if, say, your 3d10 droplow comes up with a grand total of four. I prefer to revert to the ±5 to homeworld characteristics that older systems, and point buy, use, but adding an extra die after assigning fits too, and can help unfuck a 1 in an important stat while avoiding losing your 10 to drophigh.
>>
File: Kaneo_Salutes.jpg (945KB, 1440x809px) Image search: [Google]
Kaneo_Salutes.jpg
945KB, 1440x809px
>>52060310
>>52037065
>Operator
I do apologise, not sure how I got OW in there. The equipment point stands, and you're still going to want to cover the usual bases - ranged combat, melee combat, tech, etc. You'll probably need a medic more than usual to keep everyone on their feet in enemy territory, and being both tough and agile for staying power isn't a bad idea. Having a face might not be a priority, but on the other hand it could be the difference between life and death if you need to fast-talk your way out of a fight with someone or something aboard.
>>52037054
As for why not just pointbuy, some of us like a little unpredictability to the nuance of our characters to inspire different ways of developing them - an unexpected score in a characteristic we'd have just dumped otherwise can be interesting.
>>52052529
Yes, it's possible, but also even more dangerous than your typical daemonbinding since you'll be wearing it around your body. Adding their WPB to AP is one option, but I'd shy away from that in favor of more overt weirdness - a Flyer trait, Fear, maybe a Daemonic invuln, writhing maws that lunge from the armor to bite anyone too close to the wearer...
>>52037519
I noticed the Darkwing discrepancy too, notified Shas after Republican Commando finally concluded last night.

>>52045980
>>52046708
>>52052003
It is a good pain.
>>52046154
We sure did. I look forward to R'Myr's storytime.
>>52046878
Considering number of Awareness tests I spent Fate to reroll so my Blood Angel successor wouldn't notice the fangirl Hordes following him around...
>>
File: Charosian_Veterans.jpg (334KB, 773x900px) Image search: [Google]
Charosian_Veterans.jpg
334KB, 773x900px
>>52035108
>loyal traitor legionaries
My nigga. 8/10 would Shattered Legion with. [s]The IIIrd, IXth, and XVth a best, though.[/s]
>>52037595
With those Wounds, your killteam is going to go through these things like a cleaver through paper, so don't expect them to get many swings in without an ambush or superior numbers. Their attacks aren't very threatening to Astartes, whose Unnatural Toughness typically lets them ignore 8 damage before applying armour versus penetration, but 1d10+5 gives them a good chance of slipping some wounds in if they can beat armour - assuming AP8 on most power armour hit locations for the various armour patterns, that's 6-15 damage, changed from 0-7 after Toughness, so their claws are unlikely to wound at pen3 but can deal some scratch damage, while the foot talons can get some solid hits in. If you use Horde rules for them, then they get a lot more threatening, as low-rank Killteams have trouble eliminating Hordes in protracted melee, while undodgeable attacks with bonus damage dice will hurt them. It's an appropriate challenge; my guiding tenet of Deathwatch is that no matter what I throw at them, even if I were to actively try to kill them, they can handle it, and will prevail for Emperor and Imperium, bringing glory to their Chapters.
>>52037706
>>52038428
It's Deathwatch you stupid fuck. Spess Mareens have power armour, unnatural toughness, 19+ wounds, and powerful weapons all stock.
>>52038223
It's not entirely unbalanced, but it's absolutely fucked thematically and lorewise. Grey Knights are a secret, and when they work with other Astartes the Marines in question generally are asked to submit to mindwipes to preserve the secret. Don't let them, but suggest playing an Exorcist instead; they're also daemonslaying specialists.
>>
File: Simurgh.jpg (107KB, 793x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Simurgh.jpg
107KB, 793x1008px
>>52052507
I actually did crunch out that lovely Maleceptor you posted. It lasted a few rounds and shaved some wounds off my killteam, and was generally far more satisfying than its tabletop incarnation. [s]I totally forgot that Natural Weapons can't parry, though, or the Librarian would have soloed it while everyone else was mopping up Devilgaunts.[/s] I really should have given its Devilgaunt retinue the Focused Fire horde trait so they could actually hit anything while they still had enough Magnitude for the bonus dice to pierce Power Armour, though, and it's fluffy for my Hive Fleet.

I'll see if I can find where I left the Maleceptor's stats when I get home. I don't think I did a great job, but it's accurate enough for some fun times.

(And now I'm done mass-replying like a turbofaggot. Four posts in a row at the character limit, for fucksake.)
>>
File: 480px-1318818198286.gif.jpg (31KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
480px-1318818198286.gif.jpg
31KB, 480x600px
>>52060666
>666
Nice.
I've yet to throw many xenos at my party yet, just a small batch of gretchin and squigs until the party fucked off the planet. So much for a planned ork incursion arc.

Mutants have been getting the brunt of the attention in another game, just a stream of dumb things with a bizarre talent for building machines. still crude garbage, though. Was quite a surprise for the heretek to see a junky walker barreling towards them, and then do an excessive amount of wounds after.Full-Auto is pretty terrible in most cases, but when it does hit, damn son.

Of course, putting a Heretek on a penal world where people illegally dump a mess of scrap and busted machines (the men on Mars must be shitting themselves furious right about now) is probably going to inevitably even out the playing field when they repair and supe up a cruddy bunker they found in to a death machine.
>>
>>52061161
>post Simurgh, get hex trips
Sheeeit

And yeah, the changes to fullauto in 2e make it a poor choice at the start for most characters, but -10 isn't too bad - it's not the rapetastic awesomeness of older editions' +20, but with one hit on success and another per degree of success, it's still good if you can stack on bonuses. +10 halfrange or +10 for a motion predictor if you can get one cancel out the penalty, so a character with good BS can be brutal with a simple autogun, while Inescapable Attack and singleshot firing at a bonus make Sniper Rifles viable again. Bonuses for target size or Surprise can make any weapon scary, but an autogun can go from landing five hits to eight and just scything through the target like a blade.
>>
>>52060310
>You, I like you.
I'd like for us to just stay friends, I'm sorry
>>
>>52047669
>Are there stats for boarboyz in any of the 40k systems?
Course not.
>>
>>52053284
>If you have 35 agility, unnatural agility (1) and are wearing an armour with a max agility of 35, do you still get 4 agility bonus?
No, your innate agility is capped by the armor.
Skill bonuses are not capped, but the Agility characteristic is.
>Also, book says unnatural bonuses are added as degrees of success to successful charactaristics test equal to half the unnatural bonus, but makes no mention of whether you round up or down with odd numbers.
Precedent is to round down, as very, very few things specifically say to round up.
>>
>>52052162
The only thing that is actually right here is the first one, which has it's own thematic point behind it.
When you do not treat randomness as a detriment, rolling for stats isn't a problem.
You are also running with this demonstrably false idea that when you are rolling stats, you MUST keep the very first thing you roll. This is how you give away you have never played a game where rolling stats is a thing, because a player is always able to scrap their rolls and start again.
>>
>>52053722
>I have my eyes set on playing a Psyker
> I've played a shit ton of D&D 5E
>sighs internally
Y'know, what is up with D&D players ALWAYS running to psykers first? Always, always running to psykers, and inevitably doing it wrong until they die or kill teammates enough to learn how to not be a fuck up.
>>
File: 1363984359538.jpg (215KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1363984359538.jpg
215KB, 800x800px
>>52062458
Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Or explode.
Or be corrupted and turned in to a slithering ball of floating tentacles.
Or have demons rupture out of every orifice of every living creature on the planet.
>>
>>52062458
>Y'know, what is up with D&D players ALWAYS running to psykers first?
Because in D&D, wizards are superior to every other class, and they want to go for the optimal choice. And to be fair, psyker supremacy is sort of a thing. Psykers can be super powerful, until they inevitably push too hard and bad shit happens.
>>
File: Krak_Grenade_Selected.png (152KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Krak_Grenade_Selected.png
152KB, 1181x1181px
So I noticed that Krak Grenades aren't listed as having any form of blast radius, only Concussive(0). Does this mean that if they don't land directly on an opponent, vehicle or building, the damage they deal won't really do anything?
Also, not the most creative design for a grenade.
>>
>>52064511
Yes.
Krak grenades are anti-vehicle/hard target weapons, makes sense lorewise.
>>52064061
DH2e psykers have been brought to earth, such that I wager that unless you go expressly for a very high psy rating+pyromancer/telepath/kinesis, you aren't gonna be a real problem.
>>
>>52064511
Well, yeah, they're described as an extremely focused high-explosive shaped charge designed to deal with hard targets, which would have a very small blast radius, well under a meter. It does beg the question of why they're grenades instead of actual breaching charges like meltabombs, but whatever.
>>
>>52064623
Meltabombs can't be thrown, anon, they are modeled after the tar bombs of WWII.
>wondering if Rules of Nature or Only Thing I Know For Real is better for a fast sword using assassin
>>
>>52064617
>DH2e psykers have been brought to earth,
You say that, but the most broken power in their arsenal, Warp Speed, is still a thing and just as powerful. It's locked at the end of a very long power tree, but it's still as absurd as it ever was.
>>52064655
That was my point, anon. I was wondering why, if krak grenades are basically shaped charges, why they're thrown grenades instead of being placed explosives like meltabombs.
>>
>>52064511
>>52064617
>>52064623
>>52064655
>>52064686

Krak weapons were described as having an implosion type effect that shattered armor in a lot of older books. I think now they are passed off as just a sot of shaped charge weapon. So they would have very little blast effect as almost all of the energy would be directed in one direction. Even at 1 or 2 metes all you would be catching is some very light frag and shockwave, so it sorta makes sense. The issue with giving it Blast is it's a 2d10+4 Pen 6 weapon, which would be OP as fuck i it could be used to hit multiple people and makes no sense for a shaped charge.

One could even argue that they have a gyro/gimbal or something in them that orients the charge downward so that it is still useful as a thrown grenade type weapon and not having to be placed like a melta charge.
>>
>>52064686
Warp Speed isn't even as good because Unnat attributes aren't as powerful as they used to be.
You could have the One v One talent and get better use without the chance of daemons.
As for kraks, it's to make them useful against infantry/light vehicles on the fly, compared to meltabombs. If meltabombs could be thrown, or kraks had to be placed, they would be immaterial.
>>
So what would happen if someone made a small plasma reactor, like one you might find on a voidship, and strapped it to a motorcycle?

Asking for reasons.
>>
>>52065080
For clarification, voidships that do NOT have the fuckhuge warp engines on them and are intended for like, a squad to a single person crew and some light dogfighting or transport.
>>
>>52065101
A "Small" plasma reactor for like a gun-cutter is still about the size of a fridge or larger, and significantly heavier. If you somehow managed to mount it on a motorcycle, you'd be riding a finely-tuned miracle of the Omnissiah with minimal shielding or protection. Best case, you go fast and are now sterile. Worst case, you and it explode with enough force to destroy a city block.
>>
>>52065138
Well, it is a Heretek building it, so this result should be fine.

I take it making one for a cycle from scratch would still have to be pretty fuckhuge to get a plasma-fueled engine to function?
>>
>>52065138
>>52065231
After hearing the result, by the way, the player has decided to bench the idea of strapping it to the motorcycle.

Now they want to strap it to an old landspeeder instead.
>>
>>52065231

Go take a look at Jet Bikes. You would get something like that sized. Keep in mind that they were used by Space Marines when determining scale.
>>
File: Scimitar_Pattern_Jetbike3.jpg (41KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
Scimitar_Pattern_Jetbike3.jpg
41KB, 500x330px
>>52065315
Yes, let's strap a plasma reactor to a big, blue penis with a gun for the urethra.

Whose the designer for this one?
>>
File: 1472019361136.png (404KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472019361136.png
404KB, 853x480px
>>52065360
It'd have an explosive finish
>>
Is there any sort of lock-pick type item in any o the RPG books? The closest thing I can find is an omni-tool. I'm getting ready to start a new game of 2E and I have 3 acquisitions for starting gear. I'm playing a tech oriented rogue assassin type character. I've already picked out an extra gun and was thinking about a few mags of special ammo, but I also wanted something to help me with breaking and entering/hacking. Item must be of Scarce availability or better only, and the omni-tool is rare.

Also, opinions on what the best type of ammo is? Wanted to go with Dumdums to fit with my character's theme (he's ex Navy) but mechanically they suck. So I think it's between Man-stoppers and Expanders, which do people prefer more. Game is set to take place on a hiveworld, and we are investigating nobility, so I think it's a fair assumption that most of the enemies we face will NOT be underhive rag-wearing dregs and will have some sort of armor.
>>
>>52065360
Someone who knew exactly what they were doing no doubt.
>>
>>52062356
There are Ork boar boyz in 40k
>>
>>52065517
A multikey is what you're after for breaking locks, been in every single line since DH1.

If you really can't decide on ammo type just pick up a fire selector when you can and get the best of both worlds, but for general purpose I'd say go for expander for starting characters.
>>
>>52055058
different anon, but this seems like the best explanation for it. Plus I'm doubtful that an inquisitor attached to the Templum eversor would use combat drugs. If anything they are probably just extremely familiar with battlefield/insurgency psychology and how best to cause disorder, chaos and destruction on the scale of an Eversor.
>>
File: Codex Astartes.jpg (103KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Codex Astartes.jpg
103KB, 500x572px
>>52053722
>>
So what kind of psyker catching gear would the Black Ships employ to take away those who are unwilling? Is this ever broached in any of the books?
>>
So guys, I'm getting into my first Rogue Trader game. I am unsure of the outcome, since this is a very orky campaign I will be partaking in.

We have the Rogue trader, a Mekboy, a Weirdboy, A Voidmaster from Armageddon, Myself as an Explorator from Metalica, a Seneschel, and a Necron Lord. Basic plot is starting with us smuggling Spook.

What am I getting myself into? Does it sound like I'm in for a good time or a bad one?
>>
>>52068580

Read the Sisters of Silence armory. They have things like neuro-lashes, adrathic weaponry, and the Kharon-pattern Acquisitors, as well as specializing themselves against specific enemies, like assault squads, ranged squads, zookeeper squads, etc.
>>
>>52068732

The fuck you say there's rules for playing necron lords in rogue trader?
>>
>>52068732

>and a Necron Lord

how the fuck

Just so you know, /tg/'s going to filter your post just based on this line.
>>
>>52068852

The only ones I know of for Necron Lords are the homebrew ones in the OP.
>>
>>52068854
>>52068872
>>52068852
yeah its homebrew. He's damaged, and needs some time ingame to catch back up to being lord tier, but he's starting with a broken hyperphase sword, and not much else.
>>
File: Augur_Of_Ebrietas.png (154KB, 407x407px) Image search: [Google]
Augur_Of_Ebrietas.png
154KB, 407x407px
The Heretek got their first mutation today!
Projectile Attack.
Range: 10m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+5 | Pen: 3 | Qualities: Spray, Smoke
Also, since they follow Slaanesh, it also has the Shocking quality.

This is an OP as fuck mutation for basically being a hand-flamer with the capacity to Stun people for numerous rounds with no real downside.

Also they vomit tentacles. Pic Related. Augur of Ebrietas comes to mind specifically for the Slaaneshi version of this attack.

Interestingly, they were very close to getting the Grossly Fat or the Permeating Miasma mutation, so that would've been hilarious. Fat or Smelly Hereteks.
>>
>>52062434
>the third one isn't correct
Just a couple threads ago there was a guy complaining he rolled low Willpower on a psyker, that's why I was using that specific example, that's why this whole thing started.

>because a player is always able to scrap their rolls and start again
No, that is frowned upon by some. I mean I've always felt the same way, but there are people who will and do sperg out if you do that. I understand why to an extent, with that logic you could just roll endlessly until you get a Gary Stu with all high rolls.
>>
>>52053722
Don't cry when you fuck up and someone in the party BLAMs you in the head for it. This ain't your all happy pixie D&D magic.

Also, there aren't really any disciplines. In lore, psykers (at least lower strength ones) seem to be kinda stuck to certain paths, eg. Patience Kys who is known as a telekine and can do naught else, however in the RPGs for the sake of progression you can buy into any discipline at any time. Fluff-wise I just take this as studying hardcore, actually reading books etc. in a real attempt to improve your magicks, which admittedly is something the aforementioned Patience never does. Telepathy with a side of Pyromancy for when you end up on a forge world or in front of a daemon is pretty GOAT though, or Biomancy for a frontline combat psyker is cool.
>>
>>52064061
>tfw my psyker has gotten to a level of power that he'd probably be able to overpower the party should he fuck up and they try to kill him

Woah boy...
>>
File: 1343694196308.jpg (88KB, 1000x964px) Image search: [Google]
1343694196308.jpg
88KB, 1000x964px
>>52061867
Friends don't let friends squig alone
>>
>>52065719
They aren't statted.
>>
>>52070122
>Just a couple threads ago there was a guy complaining he rolled low Willpower on a psyker, that's why I was using that specific example
It's that players fault for not understanding the game. He was probably using /tg/ logic where if you aren't at 40+ at chargen, you are useless.
>No, that is frowned upon by some
You mean idiots. The option to toss your rolls was hardcoded into Basic D&D, it has existed for decades.
>with that logic you could just roll endlessly
And that puts you on the same level as a pointbuying minmaxer, and is equally frowned upon.
>>
>>52034554
I bought Black Crusade and I think it's a very nice book and all, but why didn't they put it in the Eye of Terror instead of discount Eye of Terror aka the Screaming Vortex? I wanted my players to meet Abaddon, I know I can just set the campain in the EoT, but I would've liked some material.
>>
>>52035753
I actually never created a character if not by using random rolls. It's like guilty pleasure.
>>
>>52072741
Eye of Terror has too many big players for the PCs to matter and succeed, as well as too many hardened defenses/fortresses.
>>
>>52072667
Being a psyker isn't about spamming powers anyways, you are not a mage, your power is actually dangerous and based on the character you may not want to use your powers at all, because you may be "scared".
>>
>>52072798
Tell that to the guy complaining his WP was too low.
>>
>>52072667
>It's that players fault for not understanding the game
Well done, you agree with me.

That there is the entire point I was trying to make. That was the entire reason I posted the original reply, it's other people who then misunderstood my post and started this whole argument.
>>
>>52072741
Notice how literally none of the RPGs are set in major locations nor have any involvement of major setting characters. Why would Black Crusade be different?
>>
>>52073008
DH 1e has Scintilla heavily involved.
RT is about exploring an unknown part of the galaxy, so it's fitting.
Deathwatch is about the Deathwatch.
Dunno about Only War.
>>
File: To Be Continued.png (43KB, 486x110px) Image search: [Google]
To Be Continued.png
43KB, 486x110px
When we last left off:
>Be me, chasing the last member of a heretical Thorian group's forward picket into their underground island fortress
>Open sliding door, smooth stone tunnel some 3mx4m big, see glowglobes set on walls, staircase in front of me
>flip down staircase, see fleeing trooper some 18m ahead and 3 ceiling emplaced twinlinked las-turrets whirring up between us
>shit
>Seize initiative, charge the dude, bisect him in a single blow, catch the top half and use it as a shield
>turrets whirl around, corpse eats the shots
>rounding the corner before me is a flakboard barricade with 2 men manning it, another turret covering them
>continue momentum, flip over barricade, engage the troops
>3 strikes, 1 parry, 1 counter attack later, guts and arms all over the floor
>turret fires
>SHIT
>dive back to the other side of the flakboard, it's getting chewed up
>turrets on the other side target me
>forgot about those...
>crawl back to the other side of the flakboard, pull a body to me
>flakboard is all but chewed to bits, only the corpse saves me
>hear boots from my place on the ground
>leap to my feet, run up the wall up to the nearby turret, springboard off and slice the turrets barrels off
>during this, I see around the bend:
>6 troopers armed with flamers, lascarbines and shotlasguns, 2 more turrets
>post up on the corner, plan to pull a frag off my vest
>2 frags lands neatly beside me
>..... SHIT!
>remember my guardsman mantra: Always advance, the battle is forward, the commissar is backwards
>storm forward around the corner towards the troopers, blade in a left high guard, catching them offguard
>...
>>
Any ideas for what a Malal cult would operate like/what their methodology on a hive planet would be? I've been trying to come up with some ideas but I'm kind of unsure where to go with them.
>>
What adjustments can I make to chargen to make sure that my players have a higher than 50% chance of doing their jobs at the start?
>>
>>52073188
Besides raw characteristics and skills the two most absolutely important things are to have the right tools for the job and have the situation in your favour. Researching something? Have your dataslate handy and seek knowledge in the Administratum archives. Circumstantial bonuses are an important thing, make sure your GM doesn't forget them. If you're looking up something trivial it should be a +30, only something mildly obscure would be a +0.

Also it's a dice game, you're gonna fail the roll sometimes. Even if you get multiple degrees of failure it isn't always an absolute failure. The GM may just rul ethat it'll take X times longer than it otherwise would, X being the degrees of failure.
>>
File: 1471777061813.jpg (436KB, 800x1228px) Image search: [Google]
1471777061813.jpg
436KB, 800x1228px
>>52073057
GM calls for new initiative, I spend fate for 15
>troops are set in a pentagonal position, flamers and shotlas kneeling in front, carbines a few paces behind
>see my opening
>race forward wall-running, spring off right into the center of their formation
>this game indeed became Metal Gear Solid
>and I'm the ninja
>lash out with my blade, taking the arm off the flamer troop and spilling the guts of a shotlasser
>turrets start to whir up, troops break away from me, now in the middle of the hallway surrounded by guns
>well, don't that beat all
>carbines whipcrack, dodge all shots
>re-engage the men who tried to break off, taking position in a turret's blind spot
>RULES OF NATURE
>cut the arm off one
>other 2 troopers attempt to flee, take the arm off one and sever the spine of the other
>hear the forward hall turrets whipcrack, the roar of a goddamn bolter, the explosion of tech
>ah, the warband finally arrived
>troopers fire wildly at me
>rear turret fires, hits for 6 DoS
>why, GM, why?
>you know why, anon
>fuck this
>dive back around the bend, rock face getting chewed up by lasbolts
>chill for a moment to catch my breath
>full bird battle sister in power armor comes charging around the fucking corner, screaming a battle cry thru her grill
>consider warning her about the turrets
>.... Naw
>turns into a light show
>Grin smugly (I hate sororitas)
>techpriest with a lascarbine in hand strolls up
>nods towards me
>"Paq."
>return the nod
>"Jaeger."
>spools optic mechadendrite around the corner, views the battle
>maintain inwardly he was checkin dat power armor ass out
>sister takes out the nearest turret, then the other
>decide to re-engage
>pop up, charge a trooper, who parries my blow with his carbine
>techpriest attempts to pop off some shots
>jams his carbine
>table collectively wuts
>troop in my face drops a pointblank firebomb
>everyone dodges
>trooper and I alone on the other side of the burning floor
>take his arm, too
>WRRRYYYYY
>>
>>52073368
what kind of fucking melee rape-blender is this character?
>>
>>52073368
>more arms on the ground than my favorite samurai movies
>rest of the band moving in
>queen bolter bitch explodes the remaining troop with her bolt pistol
>still on the other side of the fire next to a bulkhead that is locked
>assassin boy that I left for dead walks up
>tougher than I figured, can't call him boy anymore
>ask for his multikey to slice the door, it's too locked down for me
>warband piles bodies on the fire to snuff it
>can't breath right all of a sudden
>fuckers are trying to gas us
>another bulkhead slams down behind us
>assassin, techpriest try to slice the forward bulkhead, sister takes a demopack to blow the rear one
>our combat medic nearly succumbs to the gas before we open the airway up
>I use my Sight Beyond Sight, get a picture of the room beyond the bulkhead, a small room some 4x6m with... benches?
>bulkhead slowly opens, I somersault into the room, no one is in it
>pews and a statue of the GE
>it's a chapel
>feel... odd
>strange light? shadows around me?
>GM calls session
I failed a total of 3 rolls in a 5 hour game. I will never have that kind of success ever again, and I am fully prepared to eat dirt next game as probability snaps back on me.
>>52073413
Near 15k feral world assassin armed with a BQ synskin, a bow, and a latheforged longsaber. High WS/Per/Ag (50), good S/T/WP (40s), shit Int/Fel/Inf (20s).
Amusingly enough, I designed the guy to fight 1v1 with foes, and found myself against groups repeatedly. I may take Whirlwind of Death now just because. My GM agrees I've earned some crow points for this stunt, he was sure he had me dead to rights.
>kill points
>Me: 10 troopers, 2 turrets
>Everyone else: Wanna be the man
>>
>>52073052
By major locations, I mean places that you'd actually hear about in a codex.
>>
>>52073795

There's a reason the game uses containment sectors. 40k is not supposed to change, disregarding nu-canon. Players by definition are agents of change, and are not allowed to have an actual effect on canon. If a Canon character appeared, things could change, and that is bad.
>>
>>52073057
>Always advance, the battle is forward, the commissar is backwards
Hell of a story, thanks mate. I nearly made a Feral Guardsassin a while back but ended up going for a Hiveborn bounty hunter; it's satisfying to see that they're just as capable of bullshit choppiness as I thought.
>>52064655
Definitely The Only Thing I Know For Real, I'd think. It fits beautifully with small-time assassins in the Imperium drafted into the Inquisition, who don't really know why they're fighting half the time. Rules of Nature has the whole dog-eat-dog ideology, but I associate it strongly with desperate struggles against GIANT ROBOTS, where infantry better hope they either have the blessing of the Emperor himself or more equipment than powerswords, meltabombs, and a truly ridiculous pile of grenades.
>>
>>52075032
>ended up going for a Hiveborn bounty hunter
You don't gunkata?
>it's satisfying to see that they're just as capable of bullshit choppiness as I thought
To be sure, this isn't a case of stats. My dice were on fire the entire day, rolling some 7 01/02s, and usually between 20-55. If I had flubbed any of the acrobatics checks, I would have been dead, and looking back, I realize I was one or two failed checks of any sort from being brutally gunned down.
I had a shitload of bonuses due to gear, my target number usually being 60-80, and I was dicing up mooks who my gm has fall at 0 wounds rather than go to crits.
I am 85% sure my GM is going to throw an arco-flagellant or 3 at us, that is gonna be fun (read: terrifying)
>where infantry better hope they either have the blessing of the Emperor himself or more equipment than powerswords, meltabombs, and a truly ridiculous pile of grenades
The sororitas in our party wants to fight a Chaos Knight. On foot. Let that tell you something about this group.
>>
>>52074238
>If a Canon character appeared, things could change, and that is bad.
I'll admit to being less cautious about that than many would be, but so far the sole 'appearance' by a canon character in my games (Discounting the Ciaphas Cain and War for Armageddon serial films that saturate local entertainment) is "During the 24th Founding, an Ultramarine successor chapter composed apparently of the most blinkered, codex-humping Leandroses available was assigned to this extremely dangerous and heretical sector of space, so that when they inevitably poke the wrong hornet's nest and take horrific losses, Papa Smurf has all the excuse he needs to charge in and pacify the entire region." So far that Chekhov's gun hasn't gone off despite the players being exposed to that Chapter's odious personality.
>>
>>52075254
I made Orikan the Diviner as a NPC, he was the typical all according to plan guy.
>>
File: equilibrium_still.jpg (107KB, 468x320px) Image search: [Google]
equilibrium_still.jpg
107KB, 468x320px
>>52075252
Yeah, I kinda figured you were in deep shit, but to survive that at all generally demands some solid crunch on top of the Emprah's blessing, and the wallrunning is the best kind of bullshit. I'm desensitized by Deathwatch, where my specialized high-rank characters have TNs at or above 120 in their focus areas before penalties. 60-80 just doesn't seem special to me anymore.
I'm not sure why I said meltabombs when I meant meltaguns. Meltabombs are actually pretty great if you can avoid the Stomps.
Best of luck fighting assorted Walkers.

And my bounty hunter totally gun kata'd; we misinterpreted the rules on the Desperado bonus ability as not counting towards the one attack per turn limit, so with Shot on the Run and Two Weapon Wielder I was making three singleshot attacks and a full move most rounds while ordering my pet sabertoothed snowleopard to tie up shooty foes in melee until I got close enough to charge, shooting all the way. It's a shame that campaign died before I got gud at melee or the kitty grew large enough to ride.
>>52075254
I prefer not to use canon characters - in canon they're generally around, and I'd rather not have to justify their survival if my players go the extra mile and capture them with a stasis field, then disengage it and jettison them into a star or a black hole. Plus it's too much fun to make shit up ourselves!
A Leandros Chapter getting used as sacrificial bait by Calgar is hilarious, though. Hell, if using Gathering Storm fluff it's not a bad way for Guilliman to clean house and leave those who treat the Codex for the very useful suggestions that it is, provided he can stomach the ruthlessness of it.
>>
Well, usually Canon Characters are so fucking powerful that they don't need plot armor to survive, as my example for before, I used Orikan the Diviner, he is able to stop time, has the best of what Necron technology can offer, along with a staff that can hit you one second before it actually can reach you.

Oh, he can also foresee the future.
>>
>>52076437
This thread once began statting out some of the canon characters, but the only one I have saved somewhere is Calgar.
Looking back on it, it's almost quaint what his statline is. Lemme see if I can dig it up.
>>
I wonder if Shas will stat out the gear of the Agents of the Emperor?
>>
>>52079351

He said he was considering it for the future in his great crusade book. He gave us the Caladius and Pallas in the Talons of the Emperor asset section.
>>
>>52079647
The Guardian Spear is already handled in the Codex: Deathwatch adaptation, at least.
One of those modified with Inquisitorial Asset: Arcane Wargear out of Rites of Battle would make a neat substitute for a Force Halberd, since those only seem to come in Nemesis variety and that's only for GKs. I know I'm not the only one here who loves polearms and finds Power Spears a little disappointing as well as insufficiently choppy. Stikkin' ain't the same as hacking and slashing.
>>
File: maskcultist.jpg (24KB, 416x300px) Image search: [Google]
maskcultist.jpg
24KB, 416x300px
>>52053722
Hi, this is this dude. I've decided on going mainly Telekinesis/Telepathy. Will I be doing actual fighting with weapons much, or can I just rely solely with my psyker powers for combat?
>>
>>52080130
>can I just rely solely with my psyker powers for combat?
Point at him! Point at him and laugh!
Now that I've busted your chops, this is the part where I ask if you have read the thread.
No, you fool, that will get you killed. Do not treat the game like D&D where if you are a "caster" that's all you do.
Treat it like Shadowrun, where a mage is out there in body armor and a submachine gun with everyone else because bullets > magic, armor saves your life, and the moment people realize you are a mage, Geek The Mage First becomes reality, not a meme.
Have you cotton'd on to the fact that as a psyker, you are one of the most hated parts of humanity in the galaxy, and that's IF you've been found safe enough to let live? Every npc, and warband member, is entirely justified in treating you like dirt AND killing you if you show the slightest inclination to be a threat to them.
Yes, you use the same gear as everyone else. You keep a pistol and a knife on you just like everyone else.
You don't spam your psyker powers, because all it takes is that one time you summon a daemon by mistake, and then you are a friendly fire victim.
Be smart, or at least get smart in a hurry. Really, you should NOT be a psyker at all, because you don't have enough grounding in the setting to understand the import of it, like choosing a techpriest for your first pc.
>>
>>52080130
>can I just rely solely with my psyker powers for combat?
In the previous edition you certainly could, not sure about now.
>>
>>52080130
Seasoned GM and player here. DO NOT solely rely on your powers. As other replies have said Psykers are not wizards. Their powers come at a hefty price when, not if, you finally roll those doubles (or not doubles when pushing in 2e). Your powers should be used when deemed necessary. That big hulking mutant wielding a heavy stubber that has been eating rounds upon rounds of gunfire, kine blade his ass. When you're in a tight spot and need to send important info that you don't want to communicate verbally, use telepathic link. Look into the minor powers in Ememies Within, they have great utility. Figure out what weapons best suit the apptitudes that you have, or playstyle in general. Remember you are a walking time bomb, don't be afraid to use your powers, but don't be stupid and flaunt them around. There is a large social implication on psykers as well, which I'm sure your GM will use against you. The more you flaunt, the more likely you're going to get focused more thein combat, or possibly have a torch wielding mob on you and your warband's ass.
>>
>>52075252
>The sororitas in our party wants to fight a Chaos Knight
What, time travel back to Fantasy and..?

Why tho?
>>
>>52080668
>time travel back to Fantasy
No, a fucking Knight titan.
>why
Batshit.
Crazy.
Sister.
Who either demolishes anything that gets in her way, or burns a fate point.
There has NEVER been any inbetween.
>>
>>52080702
Soo she covered in scars/mutilated and has a couple bionic replacements then right? This isn't just some cute girl beats everything power fantasy?
>>
>>52080130
You can actually probably get away with using psychic powers to fight with more often than not, whatever the other guys are saying, but be ready to use your weapons in a pinch anyway. If you're fighting out in the open, you don't want to advertise to bystanders that you're a psyker, and if your warband or cell works in the shadows, you'll want to avoid overt displays of anything.
In this edition, you're pretty unlikely to summon a daemon by mistake. It can happen, but if you're a Sanctioned Psyker with the Adeptus Astra Telepathica background you're reasonably safe from that unless you fuck around with forbidden powers.
>>52080702
Sounds like she's playing a roight proppa Sororitas.
>>
>>52080501
>DO NOT solely rely on your powers
While this is good advice for beginners, I hope you don't seriously think this appleis after you've gotten used to the game.

>the more likely you're going to get focused more thein combat
Depends on the enemy, depends if your party has melee dudes in their face.

>have a torch wielding mob on you and your warband's ass
Yeah nah, that's a bit extreme.
>>
>>52080730
>Soo she covered in scars/mutilated and has a couple bionic replacements then right?
Let me see if I can remember some of the highlights.
>pregame mission, she 1v1s a Chaos Spawn
>she is literally got stomped to death by a group of heretics
>was viciously tortured by same heretics, lost fingers, then a hand
>parried, with a shield, a 3 ton chunk of burning rubble
>took out 3 combat servitors at once
>ate a full auto blast from an autogun at point blank range and shrugged it off entirely
>almost became a daemonhost
>has threatened nearly every single important npc we have encountered
>"adopted" a young girl, taught her how to kill grown men with a knife, then gave her to a convent to raise
>did I mention she's just under 7', is brown with a shock of white hair, and STILL stronger than anyone in the warband, including my murderninja?
>1v1'd the most dangerous melee combatant we have witnessed in the game so far in a DRESS, while also outnumbered (she did not win that battle)
>pissed off the noble because she ruined the dress
>>52080786
Does your gm know 40k? People get strung up by the ecclesiarchy for being suspected of being witches, much less proof.
When the gm ignores the setting to make the game easier for the players, especially new players who know little, everyone suffers.
>>
>>52080935
Our whole party except one knows 40K pretty damn well. I suppose that we've never gone and flambéed locals with mind powers, our psykering tends to stay in combats where all viewers end up dead or in more private situations, but still. The problem with people speaking up against psykers is exactly that powerlevel, people kinda don't want to get flambéed by mind powers, it takes a truly special kinda backwater world where people are both ignorant of what a psyker (and for that matter, the rest of the retinue) can pull whilst also being truly #triggered upon seeing the slightest bit of space magicks.

So sure, people will be scared if you openly display powers, people might not want to deal with you, but a mob is actually pretty unlikely.
>>
>>52080786
>While this is good advice for beginners,
The player is a beginner, you twat, pay attention.
>Depends on the GM knowing how the setting works
Yes, I agree, because in 40k, psykers are both feared and loathed, and are well known enough to be treated as a top end threat.
>Yeah nah
You are utterly wrong in this, when shit like the Redeemer exist in 40k. A witch doing witch things, and claiming to be a part of the Inquisition, to boot? Suffer not the lies of the Witch, and strike down his thralls (the warband)!
What people usually ignored is that when it came to psykers, there plenty of ways to keep them on earth with natural setting consequences.
>>
File: 1344525452920.png (803KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1344525452920.png
803KB, 700x1000px
>>52080786
Yes, a torchwielding mob is a bit extreme. 40K is a setting of extremism.
I'm all for psyking, up to and including ALWAYS PUSH ALL THE TIME, but one has to keep in mind the consequences. Typical Imperial citizens are raised to hate and fear mutants, and psykers above all, and for good reason.
>>52080935
>"adopted" a young girl, taught her how to kill grown men with a knife, then gave her to a convent to raise
Oh, I like her
>did I mention she's just under 7', is brown with a shock of white hair, and STILL stronger than anyone in the warband, including my murderninja?
...unf
>>
>>52080762
>Sounds like she's playing a roight proppa Sororitas.
Yes, he is.
Amusing since his knowledge of 40k before the game was slight, now he can rip bantz with the best of us.
I just wish our characters weren't probably gonna try and murder each other one day.
>>
So, /tg/, how do you guys feel about an administratum adept in a game of DH 2.0 that is in possession of a book. THe book is the journal of a saint widely venerate in the sector. Upon picking it up, however, the adept started manifested psychic powers and claims to hear the words of the saint in her mind, guiding her and offering her advice. The psychic powers in question are recognizable as being sanctic daemonology.

How do you feel about this as an NPC? What about as a PC?
>>
>>52081070
No need to be a cunt about it mate.

>>52081089
See >>52081016
>>
>>52081166
>No need to be a cunt about it mate.
The need is both necessary and justified.
I despise players (yes, it's always players who assume shit like this) who demand a sanitized, milquetoast setting that is safe until they decide to pull the trigger.
Bad shit happens to you and should, and should happen faster if you are a mutant or psyker.
>>
File: 1253835558391.jpg (99KB, 648x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1253835558391.jpg
99KB, 648x1210px
>>52081147
As an NPC, I expect the nature of the powers to be overlooked as players gun her down.
As a PC, she sounds just as cool and considerably more survivable. Pretty appropriate to the setting IMO, and has room for interesting developments like her reaction if she lost the book somehow.
>>
>>52081147
>How do you feel about this as an NPC?
Kill with fire.
>a PC
KILL WITH MORE FIRE.
That said, I think it would be interesting, but the character would be startingly shortlived unless they had the sense to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>52081244
Just for clarity, Sanctic daemonology is the holy powers employed by everyone from xenos to sanctioned psykers, but especially favoured by the Ordo Malleus and Grey Knights. It's not Chaos fuckery like Malefic Daemonology.
>>
>>52081230
>>52081244

So an NPC could expect to have a half-life of a scene, thereabouts; but a PC might be able to do it. I'll save her as a potential PC idea, then.

I figure an Ordo Malleus campaing would have her last the 'longest' as a PC, since it would be easy for the Inquisitor to go 'you're fighting demons. That girl is crazy, but she has anti-demon powers. Do the math, but do save a bullet just in case', hm?
>>
>>52081212
Now you're just layering assumptions on assumptions. I don't play in or run a "sanitized, milquetoast setting", I just think your observations are a little off.

>enemies are going to disengage and try to focus the psyker when a chainaxe-wielding frenzied Sister or similar is in their face
>daft/uncoordinated enemies like basic orks or ganger scum are going to realise what the psyker is/what they can do and focus them
Simply put, no. Focusing the psyker in combat is a case-by-case basis, is all I'm saying.

Also, as I said before a mob is unlikely, that requires like a feral or frontier world, etc. There are other ways to punish an overt psyker that are far more likely than a mob, on a hive world for example there's assassins, on a shrine world being shut out of stores and services and being barred from temples...
>>
File: mcircleagnstevil.gif (187KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
mcircleagnstevil.gif
187KB, 436x600px
>>52081350
>have to type post twice because it wipes when I tab away to grab a pic
>forget the pic
Cower before my genius...
>>
>>52081350
Witches are witches, anon.
Try to explain your "santic daemonology" to your local priest.
>>
>>52081378
>on a hive world for example there's the Arbites, whose job it literally is to pursue and apprehend/execute psykers
>>
>>52081424
"It's what that Inquisitor did during the Cult Uprising six years back, with the holy fire and the pronouncement of doom that made all those cultist's heads explode."
>>
>>52081450
Oh yeah, that too. Rather than specifying hive world I should've just said a "more populated world", since y'know mob forming is hard to do when the psyker can kinda flee the scene, move a couple blocks away and blend back into the crowds.
>>
>>52081147
Either you and one of my players had the same idea, or you're rolling with that concept again. I liked it, but the potential for AMAZING cheese is found in both those power lines.
>>
>tfw I'll never get to play a solo campaign as a pirate prince of the ragged helix
>>
>>52081755
I did have, and played, a similar idea, yes; given that you mention both those power lines when I only mentioned Sanctic leads me to believe that I may be who you think I am.

Her name was Temetria, and the first power she used in-game that wasn't subtle was the sanctic flamethrower-type power that deals more damage to corrupted people. Am I who you thought I was?
>>
>>52080935
>People get strung up by the ecclesiarchy for being suspected of being witche

are they not sanctioned, though?
>>
>>52082194
Well, according to the 'everything must be maximum grimdark' proponents, there's not really a difference between sanctioned and unsanctioned psykers to the general citizen, even the educated one, and it's perfectly fine and legal to brutally murdered a sanctioned psyker for the crime of existing.
>>
>>52082250
well, that kind of makes sense.
>>
>>52034554
I did a tau rogue trader quest. Actually am doing it now, ask me whatever you want.
>>
>>52082250
Sanctioned psykers only ever run around the place in service of someone influential or important, which makes the point kind of moot.
>>
Long story, but how much damage should a knight-sized greatbow do?
>>
So one of my psykers double righteous furied and killed a khorne champion at range, while he was meleeing with someone else.
I was thinking of sending Karanak at the party next time they're in the warp, but I was wondering what happens if Karanak fails.

Most daemons have a pretty lengthy respawn timer before they can return to the materium, but I imagine if Khorne was ticked enough he can use some power to expedite Karanak's. What stops Karanak from coming at them over and over to the point where fending off him and the pack he gathers on the hunt, becomes a chore?
>>
>>52082987

I'm away from books so I can't properly check, but I really want context.
>>
>>52082987
An Imperial Knight? That's a big ass greatbow. You're essentially firing a catapult. Maybe like 4d10+something? With ammo options for different arrow tips?
>>
>>52082987
I'd say 4d10+4 with a Primitive of 8 unless it has mono then knock off that primitive and add a +1 and pen 1.
>>
>>52083104
>>52083133

Not the guy asking, but that's still, like, a heavy-human-weapons cale damage, isn't it? We're talking a near-titan scale bow, guys.
>>
File: knightreactions.png (1MB, 875x630px) Image search: [Google]
knightreactions.png
1MB, 875x630px
>>52083093

We're playing a game as Imperial Knights Yeah, I know, stop that reeeeee and I'm the GM. The forest world they're on was under attack by the tyranids, and while they could take out the ground gribblies well enough, a big Harridan has been strafing them and causing big damage. They're mostly melee, so they don't have much in the way of range. But then one of my players got an idea. He runs around with dual thunderstrike gauntlets, so he picks up a big remnant of a tree, and attaches some power cable to each end (by melting it with his knight's meltagun). He then uses this makeshift bow to launch a fucking tree trunk at the harridan, and despite his crappy ballistic skill, he actually manages to hit. We called it for the night there, partly in shock, but the question still stands. How much damage would a tree launched by essentially a ten meter fucking ballista do, and how much damage would an actual knight-sized bow do, since now he wants a real one when everyone gets back to the crusade base.
>>
>>52083236

One: What rules are you using for knights and all that?

Two: That is amazing, I love your players.

Three: I'd make it something like 4d10+5 I, no primitive, and (away from books, been awhile), give it that ability that bolters have that makes it so easy to get righterous fury, becuase after that your player deserves a chance to kill a tyranid bio-titan with *a fucking tree trunk*, because that is the most metal, brutal, awesome thing I Have heard all knight.
>>
File: Hawkeye Gough.jpg (59KB, 692x456px) Image search: [Google]
Hawkeye Gough.jpg
59KB, 692x456px
>>52075254

I'm a big follower of the "containment sector" philosophy, but I've only made references to two canon characters. One was Rowboat Guilliman, who has started his second Great Crusade, and everyone was quite eager to join. The other was Trazyn the Infinite, and he acted more like a questgiver, where he would leave the occasional note asking very politely for very specific things for his museum, and if he got them, generally rewarded with stuff. One other NPC, a Necron Cryptek, spoke of the reward he got for helping out the Lord of Solemnace once, an old wooden violin, though the meaning of the word "Stradivarius" engraved inside it eluded him.

>>52083236
>>52082987

So he pulled a Hawkeye Gough on Kalameet? It depends on if you want the actual bow to be energy or physical. For a makeshift bow, I agree with everyone else, 4d10+5 Pen 10 or so, but a real one should definitely be somewhere along the lines of 4d10+10 Pen 15 or so, give or take 5 damage and pen to taste.
>>
>>52083295

We're using the Fringe books because it had the most variety.

>>52083104
>>52083133
>>52083295
>>52083376

Thanks, I'll take this into account. what about qualities? Accurate sounds fitting, anything else?
>>
>>52083419

Base accurate, and once he gets the real thing let special arrows add more, as well as or instea dof just more damage.
>>
>>52055605

Alright, time to come to a consensus for both sides.

Pointbuyers want people to enjoy the character they want to play as.

Rollers want to enjoy the randomness.

And neither want to hear ANYONE bitch about poor characters. Be it because you don't buy it or learn to enjoy the character you rolled, bitchin about it ain't kosher. Both sides should be coming down on bad players not enjoying what they've got.

Game on.
>>
File: IMG_4843.jpg (116KB, 900x805px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4843.jpg
116KB, 900x805px
>>52081882
>>52081882
Yes you are, you double heretic.

On that note, what backgrounds do people see played often? I find new players shy away from Administratum, but experienced players (and power gamers) love the ability to get more stuff. I blame the art for looking like an overworked bureaucrat, compared to the ACTION of the other portraits.
>>
>>52084708

Administratum is probably rare; it's the rare player that likes being 'the guy who looks things up and buys shit for people'. In most games, that'd be an NPC role, not a PC one.
>>
>>52084708
>I blame the art for looking like an overworked bureaucrat,
That is the Administratum, though. Entire planets of overworked bureaucrats working on centuries-old psychotically complex paperwork from worlds decades dead, which will be indexed, stamped, filed, and stored away in a vault no one will ever see. But new players tend to tragically underestimate the power of the Imperium's mutant bureaucracy and the power of a correctly stamped and underwritten #65171C Request For Adepta Support Form Request Form Request Form, Type 21D, Materiel Aid, Weaponry/Explosive.
>>
>>52085115
>That is the Administratum, though.
'Administratum' doesn't have to mean fat, haggard, and useless when not standing in front of a book.
>>
>>52083053
Make Khorne not ticked enough to just constantly respawn Karanak and resend him?
>>
>>52036732
>How do you have fun with the character that produces?
Are you really pulling the "stop liking what I don't like" out off your ass?
>>
>>52083376
Hey Shas, you mentioned in your recent PDF a "Gal Vorbak Dark Martyr Advanced Specialization" but as far as I can tell, I've never found it in any of your splats, any help?
>>
>>52086633
No. You honestly fucked up your reading comprehension.
>>
Playing an Only War game, building a Heavy specialist, and thinking about going Heavy Flamer.

Is this a good plan, and if so, what talents and advances are good for it?
>>
>>52087444
There's like 3 fire related talents. Get the two that aren't Imperial Creed related, then consider that one.
>>
File: 1363768867220.jpg (64KB, 800x427px) Image search: [Google]
1363768867220.jpg
64KB, 800x427px
>>52087444
As far as how much I've used flamers in my games, they're really fuckin' good on their own. I don't think you really even need to worry about having the Bulging Biceps talent to negate the need for bracing, since there's no Ballistic Skill test to make.

There's always "Crack Shot", good for most things, really, assuming you have the prereqs. An additional +2 damage on crits, basically.

"Hip Shooting" may be good, too, for having that full movement speed and still being able to get off a single shot in your turn.

"Mighty Shot" would be nice, just for being able to add half your BS Bonus to damage rolls. Add some more overkill to an already badass weapon.

"Rapid Reload", cuz' fuck 2 full rounds of reloading it. Honestly, there's so many talents that'd be good in combat beyond just things that'd directly effect your heavy flamer that'd be worth it to look in to.
>>
>>52087444
Get something else desu.
>>
File: 1487732666534.jpg (5MB, 1530x1980px) Image search: [Google]
1487732666534.jpg
5MB, 1530x1980px
I really like my laspistol in DH2e, my group is pushing me to use other weapons but i just like the simplicity of it. What are some fun accessories to pimp it with to make it better?
>>
>>52088972
The humble lasgun in DH2e is a great weapon for quite a while in a campaign.
Get red dot, custom grip, bolster the quality. Always fire on overload.
>>
So why do the Styrxis hate Eldar?
>>
>>52081424
I wasn't saying they wouldn't have trouble in-setting, just felt the need to point it out to the person summarizing THEIR feelings about a concept as "kill it with fire" in case they were unaware
>>52083376
>4d10+5 Pen 10
>a tree trunk
>pen10
Come on bossman, that's silly
Something that big, blunt, and primitive isn't gonna have more pen than a power weapon. Tearing is appropriate as the log cracks and splinters, though.
I'd go with 5d10+(½SB) pen3 Tearing, Primitive (9), and maybe consider Accurate if he gets it artificed into a proper weapon. Seems to me a tree trunk should hit near as hard as a lascannon but with Primitive and inferior pen, while Tearing helps shore up the weaknesses a bit with shrapnel.
>>52087209
It's almost certainly in his Legion splat that's still in the works. Gal Vorbak are 30K Possessed.
>>52088972
As >>52089164 says. Lasweapons are a great standby; just read through the mods and consider what you want it to do, but the above suggestions are your must-haves.
>>
>>52088972
>laspistol

Might as well just tickle them.
>>
>>52089619
>>52083236
Addendum: ½SB as an improvised piece of crap that's liable to fall apart after too many shots
But if their Sacristans have the facilities to maintain Imperial Knights, then a Knightly Greatbow should be feasible if they're willing to innovate, at which point proper forging and not spotwelding cable with proximity to melta blasts would change the damage profile, probably to something more like 4d10+SB pen10 Accurate. No more Tearing, but retrievable bolts, and as a doublefist Gallant closing in to wrench arrows loose shouldn't be outside the realm of feasibility. Specialized arrows would be variable, and make me hope this guy's Knight has room for a peaked green cap atop its helm.
>>
>>52089805

Laspistols can still Righteous Fury!
>>
Would BC handle chaos guard better with the PCs being various member of a regiment clawing their way to power, or OW?
>>
>>52091568
Depends on your tone. If you are focusing on a military campaign where the PCs regiment will play a prominent roll and there will be lots o combat, go with OW. If you are focusing on the PCs exclusively with a war simply as a backdrop, BC would probably work better.
>>
>>52091671
Was thinking of something along the lines of the players being part of a black crusade or singing similar taking a planet, and working together during the war to advance themselves to the top. Politics and war basically
>>
>>52091967
OW has the traitors option, which in addition to pretty intensely upping the power of your starting regiment, also happens to capture exactly what you're after, I think.
>>
>>52091967
I'd recommend using Only War for character and regiment creation, but porting in Black Crusade for everything else, so mutations, Infamy in place of Fate, et cetera. Use the armouries of both but be clear on which items are difficult to resupply or unavailable to heretics.
That way you avoid the wonky Alignment rules for BC XP, and still get the 'group of soldiers with their own unique skills' feel of Only War.
>>
Time for fresh bread soon
>>
File: breadnought.jpg (18KB, 252x256px) Image search: [Google]
breadnought.jpg
18KB, 252x256px
Fresh bread
>>52094331
>>52094331
>>52094331
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.