[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 28

File: 2863067.jpg (850KB, 1920x2729px) Image search: [Google]
2863067.jpg
850KB, 1920x2729px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>51996793
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12458334

So, which of the B-list classes of 3.5 and 4e should be introduced to 5e?
>>
>>52005286
Lets talk houserules. Current ideas:
-Thrown weapons can be drawn as ammunition.
-A hand holding a spellcasting focus can be used for somatic components, even if the spell doesn't require a focus.
-Berserker barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest.
-Dice that don't land on your playing surface are treated as having the worst possible roll (so if you reroll ones and two's, it counts as a three.) (Possibly too harsh? Enforced rerolls no matter what it landed on seems better.)
>>
>>52005426
Most of those should probably be archetypes. Aside from psionic classes, they're not really different enough to be standalone (duskblade is some flavor of either EK or Bladesinger, for example). That said, I'd love a class styled after the 4e Ardent; lead from the front, granting healing and temp HP to your allies as you lay into enemies. Maybe I should work on this.
>>
>>52005426
Summoner when?
>>
>>52005429
I houserule that everyone can attempt to use a spell scroll, even if their class doesn't have it on their list or can't cast at all. They have to make an ability check using Int, Wis or Cha (depending on the classes that spell is available to), check DC equals 11+spell level. I also use the Scroll Mishaps variant.
>>
>>52005518
/pfg/ is waiting.
>>
>>52005518
Beast master is best master.
>>
UA Artificer

Alchemist vs Gunsmith?
>>
File: 1426568082846.png (3MB, 1280x1297px) Image search: [Google]
1426568082846.png
3MB, 1280x1297px
>>52005531
But I don't want to go to /pfg/. I just like the concept because I'm a weeaboo
>>
>>52005533
Beast master is hot garbage. A summoner class based on having a persistent minion and supporting that minion through spells and abilities is a neat idea, but very hard to balance. It either gets stupidly OP like pathfinder's summoner, or underpowered like beastmaster (arguably, chainlock also fills this archetype, albeit poorly.)
>>
>>52005547
Conjuration Wizard.
>>
Reposting!

I have developed a Legendary Greataxe for one of my big bad barbarian characters? How does this sound?

The Catalyst

A sentient, +2 Greataxe that will return to attuned wielder if moved more than 10 feet away from them.Your rage bonus damage is equal to your proficiency bonus. Your weapon attacks deal an extra 1d8 radiant damage. You become proficient in persuasion and deception skill checks while attuned to this weapon.

It also requires a DC: 20 Wisdom saving throw when attuned to otherwise it will take control of the attuned wielder until a greater restoration spell or something similar is cast on them.
>>
>>52005547
You and me anon. I don't weeb post here, but I eagerly await the day the general slips into weebdom.
>>
File: 1427408862332.gif (2MB, 174x176px) Image search: [Google]
1427408862332.gif
2MB, 174x176px
Gonna repost this here for some visibility.

Can someone help me understand something?

>DM creates a priestess character to help out our party
>Turns out she's a lesbian and attracted to our catgirl shifter (played by a dude and with a Japanese name)
>The catgirl never makes a roll to notice
>Eventually they end up alone studying a book about werewolves
>DM does the usual "roll to pick up the hint, you don't understand" thing
>But then he does it again
>And again
>And again
>Five minutes straight of trying to force the relationship in
>The player seems in on it but keeps fucking up
>Eventually they finally get it on after all this shit
>Fade to a midnight battle with the rest of our party while the shifter fucks the priestess in a different house
>DM later claims he balanced the fight for a full party fight
>Four shadow creatures
>There would've been four of us in the room if our Cleric made it that day

What the fuck do I even do? It's a fucking weird magical realm kind of thing going on, but they both seem to be trying to get it going and being a part of the plot even though the shifter's roleplaying in this and every senario is basically just "I say what I want to happen and roll."
>>
>>52005508
Well, a lot of classes from 3.5 have been turned into archetypes for 5e.

>Archivist
Wizard archetype. Wouldn't that be Lore Mastery though?
>Beguiler
Bard archetype. Maybe the College of Glamor is already that?
>Binder
That's either a new archetype for Warlock or a GOOlock.

Etcetera.

The only classes worthy of being classes there are Warlord, Shaman, Soul Knife and Dread Necromancer (although probably under a new name). Maybe Factotum too.
>>
>>52005586
Your DM and the player are both autistic
Either call them out, quit, or ideally do both
>>
File: panther.jpg (93KB, 564x870px) Image search: [Google]
panther.jpg
93KB, 564x870px
>>52005549
>good at fightin
>casts spells
>heals
>good number of skills
>team pet
You're just a hater.
>>
>>52005617
What about Incarnate and the like, though? Those don't really fit anywhere in the current mechanics.
>>
>>52005556
>The Catalyst
Sounds very cool, but not really Legendary. Very Rare at the most. Legendary items should really have more than that, a few spells maybe? Instead of the skill proficiencies, why not some enchantment spells like Suggestion, Command, Calm Emotions lol.

This is all about the spoiler:

The saving throw only when attuned isn't good design on a sentient weapon. Firstly, it should be a Charisma save to dominate the wielder. Secondly, it's not fun if you just roll once when attuning. Sentient weapons are NPCs, they have agendas andwills of their own. Whenever their wielder does something they don't like, they can just shut down their properties. Whenever their wielder won't do something they want, they can try to dominate them and force them to do it with a Cha save.
>>
File: careless attitude.jpg (27KB, 566x393px) Image search: [Google]
careless attitude.jpg
27KB, 566x393px
>>52005666
Not that guy but Incarnate is retarded bullshit that shouldn't be in this edition in any form
>Beginning at 2nd level, you can bind your soulmelds to your chakras
I never want to read something like this sentence ever again
>>
>>52005617
3.5 archivist was a scholarly divine caster, so it'd be closer to theurge. I like the others though.

Warlord and the 4e Ardent could be archetypes of the same class, though you'd lose the ardent's psionic flavor if it was pure martial. Shaman should be a druid archetype based around spirits. Soulknife would make a good monk archetype, but it'll probably be a mystic archetype. Dread Necro would be a great archetype for a summoner class.

Factotum's 'i can do everything' shtick rubs me the wrong way. Just play a bard.

>>52005630
I'm not saying it's GOOD that it's garbage. It's a classic archetype that should be usable.
>>
>>52005617
>Binder
>That's either a new archetype for Warlock or a GOOlock.
This is incredibly wrong.

The closest thing to Binders mechanically right now is Mystics. Binders should no more be rolled into Warlocks than Clerics (they make pacts with gods, duh-hurr) or Paladins (they make pacts with concepts, guhhhhhh).
>>
>>52005617
I thought that the Warlord is already working fine as Fighter archetype. Or is battlemaster missing some necessary components?
>>
>>52005586
>>Turns out she's a lesbian and attracted to our catgirl shifter (played by a dude and with a Japanese name)

I can see your problem from here
>>
>>52005700
The terminology was dumb, but I liked the mechanics behind it.
>>
>>52005715
They're talking about the 4e warlord, a martial combatant that heals and buffs allies. Battlemaster is similar in that it has special maneuvers, but a proper warlord would be more like a more fighty bard, granting inspiration and healing while fucking up orcs.
>>
>>52005715
>Battlemaster is the only Fighter archetype good for anything even remotely different
>so of course every PrC adaptation boils down to "lol just play a Battlemaster"
Holy shit why didn't they just make martial die standard, FUCKING playtesters
>>
>>52005549

Summoner Class is just a Moon Druid with a Human Familiar.
>>
File: bruh.jpg (16KB, 160x123px) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
16KB, 160x123px
>>52005740
play a valor bard
>>
>>52005767
It's close, but not close enough. A proper warlord would keep something like inspiration, but trade in the spells for things like taking your action to order an ally to attack, or granting healing or temporary HP to nearby allies when you kill a foe.

I mean, you're not wrong, Valor Bard is fun and about as close as you can get, and you can refluff the spells however you like.
>>
>>52005426
W A R L O R D
Because we really need some active support with healing riders
Because we really need more non-magical healing
Because Being a bomb ass battle leader who makes his friends cool by leading by example is fucking rad
Because we really could use a martial leader type
>>
>>52005854
valor bard with martial adept
>>
>>52005883
Why do people keep repeating this unfunny joke?
>>
>>52005715
A Battlemaster devoted to support is far from optimal. Banneret is the closest you'll get to a decent martial archetype made to support the team.

But it's still a fighter first and foremost. When people say they want a Warlord, they want the following:
>A martial class without access to spells.
>A class that provides support and benefits to allies in combat.
>A class that relies on Intelligence or Charisma, which are rarely used by martials.
>A class with the flavor of being a leader of men first and foremost, rather than a warrior first and foremost or someone imbued with supernatural power first and foremost.
>>
Reminder that Mearls considers the "warlord issue" closed with the release of the Purple Dragon Knight.
>>
>>52005854

Play a Purple Dragon Knight. Or a Paladin, since what you're describing is basically "Auras"
>>
>>52005767
>>52005740
But bard is a spellcasting class. Chucking fireballs and singing people to death really isn't "warlordy."

Right?

Well lets see
>level 1
Healing Word, Cure Wounds, and Heroism.

>level 2

Enhance Ability, Lesser Restoration, See Invisibility.
>level 3
Nothing really comes to mind, unless you think a martially themed character should have some way of using Dispel Magic.
>level 4
Freedom of Movement.
>level 5
Greater Restoration, Legend Lore, Mass Cure Wounds.
>level 6
True Seeing.
>level 7
Regenerate. Not very "low magic" overall, but fortunately losing limbs isn't easy in 5e.
>level 8
Mind Blank
>level 9
Foresight and Power Word Heal. But its gonna be Foresight.

For the most part, there should be no problem playing a Bard as a Warlord, buffs or no buffs. Most of their abilities are some variation of inspiring and advising people, and the best bard buffs are almost all things that can be styled as exceptional rather than supernatural.
>>
>>52005900
But PDK doesn't do anything?????????
Shit, Stone Sorcerers are better Warlords.
>>
>>52005767
Warlord did shit like "when you charge an enemy, allies who can see you can charge with their reaction" and "make a ranged weapon attack. One ally who can see you can move their speed towards the same target and make an attack as a reaction."
Unlike Battlemaster who was more about just controlling the battlefield at large, Warlord is more about making the best of your allies, using them as resources and offense.
Rather than getting a multiattack they could get something like "Allies within CHA mod x 5 feet of you gain an additional reaction during your turn."
>>
>>52005429
>-A hand holding a spellcasting focus can be used for somatic components, even if the spell doesn't require a focus.
That's not a houserule. The PHB says explicitly the hand holding your focus can also provide somatic components.
>>
>>52005902
Describe to me the combination of printed mechanics that will allow a paladin to point to an ally, say 'you, attack', and then the ally attacks with a bonus. Because that's what warlords do.
>>
>>52005429
Our reasoning for the Worst Roll Possible for dice that fall off the table is that one player who launches his dice like he's trying to throw them into the ninth dimension. When we implemented that rule it was to get him to throw dice like a normal person
>>
>>52005935
It's kind of murky wether that applies to ALL spells, or just spells that require material components.

>>52005947
Ok, that's perfectly valid.
>>
>>52005944
martial adept

And while no class can do everything they could in 4e, valor bards have it all pretty much covered.
>>
>>52005690
I don't particularly want to make this item any stronger than It is so I might drop the rarity to very rare. That feel when the barbarian is half Paladin.

So about the spoiler: It's not really an item designed for the good-natured party as its evil and I don't think my players would use it if they figure out how it works, but I will change it to charisma, and I'll consider making it multiple saving throws. Thanks!
>>
>>52005429
>-Thrown weapons can be drawn as ammunition.
>-Berserker barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest.
Best ones of the bunch.
>>
>>52005968
>Martial adept with commander's strike
>'When you take the attack action'
Nope, wrong.
>>
How do you guys deal with selling and purchasing magic items in 5e usually? Or just money in general? It doesn't seem as adherent to higher magic campaigns or something like Eberron.
>>
>>52005968
>martial adept
Is one of the worst feats out there and a complete waste of your ASI. Shut up.
>>
>>52005968
Martial Adept is only good for people who already have superiority dice
>>
>>52005968
Again, that doesn't quite make warlord what people want.
Warlord didn't Inspire people, he did attacks and actions that made other people do other actions.
Chase the Arrow is one of the earlier level ones, where you shot one guy and allies who could see you could use their reaction to run at the same guy and make an attack.
>>
>>52005997
Use it at levels 1-4.

Giving people attacks would be largely useless in 5e as well, due to how stingy the game is about reaction and bonus actions. Most people already have their bonus actions and reactions planned out already, making the more extreme warlord powers largely useless.

Classic example is how GWM PAMmers can barely use cleaves since they're too busy hitting people with sticks.
>>
>>52006011
>Again, that doesn't quite make warlord what people want.

If the warlord appeared in 5e, it would be largely irrelevant in feat oriented games or alongside the battlemaster.

>Warlord didn't Inspire people,

derp
>>
>>52006020
Why would you need to tie it to your allies' reactions?

Warlord takes his action to command an ally to attack, the ally attacks without spending any actions of his own. It should be a force multiplier.
>>
>>52006035
>Why would you need to tie it to your allies' reactions?

Because fucking EVERYTHING in 5e extra action wise competes for reaction or bonus action. Even 2WF. Even Haste. Even NotCleave.

>the ally attacks without spending any actions of his own

spells, (printed) class features, and feats can't get around the bonus/reaction thing, and the warlord NPC and all similar monster/NPC type things likewise face the same limit

not gonna happen
>>
>>52005426
Going in order of popularity:

>Warlord
Actually would work well. Maybe could focus on spending hit dice for healing, as they're not doing anything specifically magical, they're just pushing their allies past their normal limits. Alternatively it could just be normal healing, but having a nonmagical healer is an absolutely fantastic idea in general.

>Binder
As much as I love this class, its flavor and mechanics are almost entirely covered by the Warlock.

>Avenger
If we're talking about the 3.5 Avenger, this can be done by being an Assassin Rogue. If 4e, a Vengeance Paladin (your DM might allow your spellcasting to be dependent on Intelligence if you explain your reasoning).

>Factotum
An overall interesting class. I'm not sure how it would be implemented into 5e, but I guarantee it's nowhere near as hard as I think it would be.

>Warden
Ancients Paladin

>Dread Necromancer
The PHB Necromancer was based on this class. There's too little to add.

>Warmage
Arcana Cleric 1/Sorcerer X

>Soulknife
Still waiting on Psionics before I actually have an opinion here.

>Shaman
I think I saw a pretty good homebrew for this a while back, but it plays more like a warlock than its 3.5 equivalent.
>>
>>52006032
Lemme use some proper examples.
>"The target can make a melee basic attack against you as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack. If the target makes this attack, an ally of your choice within 5 squares of the target can make a basic attack against the target as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack"
>Hit: "3[W] + Strength modifier damage. Each ally within 5 squares of you gains a +1 power bonus to all defenses until the end of the encounter." /Effect: "Each ally within 5 squares of you gains temporary hit points equal to 5 + your Charisma modifier."
As you can see they're more than just "hey ally, make an attack."
Warlord is a completely different animal than Bard or Battlemaster. In fact, the Commanding strike was based off a level 1 at-will effect from Warlord.
>>
>>52006091
Then fucking make it like the chainlock: When you take the attack action, you can forgo one of your attacks to allow an ally within [some range] to make an attack. As you get extra attacks, you can enable more allies. Fucking done, there's the basic mechanic you can build the class around.
>>
Does anyone have the link to the charoptions? It does not seem to be in the mega.
>>
File: beamuplaff.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
beamuplaff.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>52006128
>Binder's flavor and mechanics are covered almost entirely by the Warlock
What
>>
I found out I get a free feat at level one in this game so I suddenly have more options for my Zealot Barbarian.

GWM and PAM are overdone so I was looking at either taking Dual-Wielding feat or Shield Master. I could also look at the Spear, Flail, Sword or Fell handed UA ones but I'd rather not. I'm just wondering which of my options are best?
>>
>>52006239
Actually not a bad idea.

I just said this elsewhere but now that I'm looking at the 4e warlord powers, I'm starting to see how the class could work in 5e
Think like this
>First level fighting style
>Second Level you gain Exploits, a resource in similar scaling to Ki, and some basic maneuvers and shit
>Third level is archetype that determines your Exploits' main stat, be it INT, WIS, or CHA, and the class starts gaining maneuvers and exploits that use your Exploit stat and have saving throws and stuff.

Heck you could even toss in an archetype that uses STR and bounces around with debuffs like "Make Them Bleed" to give a Hex-like DOT that allies can also use too.
>>
Which page on the DMG has the table that shows what players start with depending on the fantasy type? Like, 5th level players starting with 500GP and one uncommon magical item.
>>
>>52005429
>-Thrown weapons can be drawn as ammunition.
Seems fine. I'd use it myself if it mattered for my group.
>-A hand holding a spellcasting focus can be used for somatic components, even if the spell doesn't require a focus.
I use this as well, and I think this saves a number of weird edge cases with your Interact With Object.
>-Berserker barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest.
It's a pretty good fix IMO, they're a little weak base.
>-Dice that don't land on your playing surface are treated as having the worst possible roll (so if you reroll ones and two's, it counts as a three.) (Possibly too harsh? Enforced rerolls no matter what it landed on seems better.)
I just force rerolls, I think that's too harsh.
>>
>>52006263
Dual Weilding makes the most of your pitiful lack of bonus actions (but unfortunately also doesn't give you the fighting style, meaning your damage and attack rolls would take a small hit)

Spear master makes Spears the single best versatile weapon in the game (and also gives you great use with a shield)
Swordmaster makes you a rad reaction tank guy
Fell Handed makes the most of your reckless attack by Prone locking enemies and making them just feel bad about themselves.
>>
>>52006323
Page 38, bottom of the page
>>
>>52006344
Ah, thanks. I'm shit at finding things sometimes.
>>
>>52005947
>>52006336
I retract my statement about this being too harsh. It's a very good rule in this case.
>>
>>52006341
I was thinking of going with Dual Wielding and maybe picking up Fell handed at level 4 or 8 actually. Also my attack rolls won't take a hit, only no ability modifier to damage.
>>
>>52006388
Right, that.
I started with 4e and TWF was a bit weird there, but I always confuse the two.
>>
>>52006091
>Coordination
>You can design elaborate combat maneuvers with others through commands in the midst of battle. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains a Coordinated Action.
>Once within the next minute, the creature can choose to use the Coordinated Action whenever it would normally use a reaction. When an ally uses a Coordinated Action, they can't use one again until the start of their next turn.
>You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Combine this with silly little things that allow an ally to use their reaction to move when you move, attack a creature when you attack a creature or whatever else and you've got a Warlord that would allow for the existence of a much more diverse action economy.
>>
Reading the articles on this Plane Shift stuff, I'm curious. Is this the first 5e MTG and D&D crossover? The website's article description implies there were previous ones.
>>
Is there anyway that I could play as a sumo wrestler? Monk really doesn't seem to fit the fighting style
>>
>>52006568
There's a Zendikar one and an Innistrad one. Zendikar's is pretty cool and the Art book for it is full of cool ideas for quests.
>>
>>52006568
Yes.

Previously, they wanted to keep the two franchises very, very separate.
WotC is a game about fighting monsters with your friends.
MtG is a game about fighting friends with your monsters.
Apparently, that means they're absolutely impossible to cohesively crossover, until now.
>>
>>52006568
There's one for each plane that has been covered in an official MTG artbook, and that will likely be the trend going forward as well.
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pugilist Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>52006578
>>
>>52006594
>D&D and a game about fighting monsters with your friends
>WotC is a game company that's about to fight you and your friends for money.
ftfy
>>
File: Memo_20170303_145543_01.jpg (214KB, 792x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Memo_20170303_145543_01.jpg
214KB, 792x1102px
>Artificer living in a midsize city
>Living comfortably as a Butcher thanks to his prized invention, ButcherBot, doing most of the heavy lifting (literally and figuratively) while he handles the business side of things
>At some point he finds himself cornered at swordpoint by some rude dudes in his shop, panics, and says "Process them!"
>Cue ButcherBot demonstrating that a 10 foot tall machine man built to take cows apart does the same to people size enemies with frightening speed

Here's where my backstory hits a snag.

Do I go with
>people who get dismantled were the Thieves Guild shaking them down for "protection money", they now need to flee their hometown because of it

Or

>Their city was attacked by Bandits/Orcs/Gnolls and ButcherBot ended up saving the town (with the help of the guards)
>They were "rewarded"* by the city with an official military rank and given new duties
>*Rewarded as in "if you don't give us the schematics for this golem you can either rot in a cell or work for us with that machine
>They're now a reluctant adventurer on a job for the crown
>>
>>52006618
Thanks, it's four thirty in the morning.
>>
>>52006584
And where is it, if not on the Wizards Articles page?
>>
>>52006652
https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf

http://d1bf78c87087c77d76ca-be4120a00702a7d33079a120750230c5.r45.cf1.rackcdn.com/Plane%20Shift%20Innistrad%20SFG_2.pdf
>>
>>52006652
It's on the Magic side of the wotc site, because the author is on the Magic team, not the D&D team.
>>
>>52006621
What kind of stats are you making for the bot? Also more drawings, cause seeing big robots butcher people is awesome (especially if you draw it ripping the skull off an elf).
>>
>>52006149
>Warlord is a completely different animal than Bard or Battlemaster.

*Depending on how they're built*, yes. The mechanic that everyone's googoogaga about, attack granting, would be of questionable utility in 5e. You can indeed make a warlord that is overwhelmingly about hitting enemies to open them up for other allies to wail on them + healing + buffing in 4e, and have that reflected in 5e.

>>52006239
If the warlord shows up, I give it a 99% likelihood that its gonna work similarly to the warlord NPC.
>>
While paring down options for a late classical kind of feel, I've been wondering, what kind of stats for a falx/rhompoia.

I'm torn between glaive and greatsword for their stat block, more or less.

>>52006594
There's a succession thing. Wizards bought out TSR because they grew up playing D&D and got rich making MtG more than because it made business sense. That's also one reason why they were kept strongly separate even though a lot of MtG planes were very obviously throwbacks to old school AD&D; Innistrad is obviously ravenloft with the dark powers replaced by lovecraftian horrors (you could argue they already are), Kaladesh is Mechanus with a dash of when it was still called Nirvana, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor had bits of the feywild.
>>
File: Titan_v6d.jpg (323KB, 1600x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Titan_v6d.jpg
323KB, 1600x1333px
So when I was young I loved the fighting fantasy books and the Sorcery! series was my favorite. I never thought about it much but the other day I found out they made digital versions of it and replayed them.

It got me thinking the setting, which is called Titan is pretty cool. I don't know how to really describe it but most common folk have shitty lives, everything wants you dead and there's a lot of evil magic stuff going on. For anyone else familiar with it would you say it's possible to get the feel in a 5e game or will I need to use another system?
>>
>>52006686
I was considering Giant Constrictor Snake for the blindsense and reflavoring Constrict as "Process" (Deals slashing damage instead)
>>
>>52006703
Lorwyn/Shadowmoor's still my favorite setting of all time. Everything about it's just beautiful.
>>
>>52006621
Depends
Do you want him to be paranoid and nervous or annoyed and frustrated?
>>
>>52006708
>I don't know how to really describe it but most common folk have shitty lives, everything wants you dead and there's a lot of evil magic stuff going on. For anyone else familiar with it would you say it's possible to get the feel in a 5e game

Sounds like most D&D settings.
>>
>>52006687
Speaking of, what saves would warlord have?
>>
>>52006708
What exactly would prevent you from doing that in D&D?
>>
>>52006752
I should hope Str and Int, especially since tactlord is what most people are crazy about, but 5e isn't really a game about flexible secondary stats much.
>>
>>52006752
Cha, Int
>>
So, for an artificer's companion at 6th level, what's best?

>Allosaurus
20ft. faster than the others, with a pounce for knocking prone and two attacks. Lowest DC for knocking prone, most AC.
>Polar Bear
Has a swim speed and is the only camdodate that has a multi-attack that doesn't require moving at least 20 feet straight forward. Lowest hit points.
>Rhinoceros
Capable of charging with highest DC for knocking targets prone. Lowest AC.
>Saber-Toothed Tiger
Has a pounce that allows it to knock a target prone. Highest hit points, good stealth potential.

These are the only CR2 Large Beasts I can find.
>>
>>52006732
Well that's my main issue- on one hand I'd like to keep their shop available, but on another if they can just head home whenever they want there's not a lot of a reason for them to go off into the wilds adventuring when they have a business to run.

I'm saving personality traits for after their background is done, at the moment I havent even decided on a race. Gnome for riding his giant around woulf be cliche but fun.
>>
5e book of weeabo fightan magic when?
>>
>>52006794
I was considering Giant Constrictor Snake- 30 speed/swim and 10 foot blindsense with decent HP. Mediocre AC but gets a grapple attack.
>>
>>52006837
The PHB has been out for ages man.
>>
>>52006773
Well here's what I'm thinking: instead of playing by everyone else's usual rules, make the warlord's saves and riders run off stats determined by archetype, sorta like 4e's version did with the various presences.
Meaning your secondary would make a great multiclass stuff.
>>
>>52006839
Giant Constrictor Snake is a Huge Beast.
>>
>>52006872
Ah fuck, not sure how I overlooked that.

Though I dont see any reason you couldn't just use it anyway and just scale it to "large".
>>
>>52006735
>>52006757
It's pretty standard stuff but everything about it feels tense, deadly and creepy. Mostly worried about races and magic. I don't remember everything so bare with me.

Elves for example are a bunch of psychotic pranksters who are all magical and it would feel weird putting a censor on races that exist in the setting just because they're generally not going to be helping anyone.

Also magic's less understood, with a lot of different people showing strange abilities that appear nowhere else. Weird shit like the Red Eyes who can instantly paralyze you and throw you in prison, Witches with weird curses, riddlemaster guys who can destroy bridges instantly and teleport away.

I'm more worried people will acuse me of being a dick because people will be using wildly different abilities then them. Even though actual "Spellcasting's" rare as hell.

Also you can pray for help divine intervention style and gods commonly do stuff but actual divine magic doesn't really exist.
>>
>>52006913
Dickish elves, magic guys that paralyze you, weird witches (there are barovian witches, hag coveys, and fey warlocks), all relatively fit normally, but yeah, D&D magic systems are largely apropos of nothing.
>>
>>52006708
From what I've seen of the books and the one Sorcery! game I've played, you may be able to recreate it. Those games are very highly focused on long term resource management; you've got gold, stamina, and luck in the low double digits, and that lasts through the whole adventure. If you want something similar in 5e, you may want to use the Gritty Realism rest rules, so players can stop and eat for the night to regain some things but need to have a long rest in town to fully recuperate. Also, it'll bend away from those games before too long as the party levels; they already have a big advantage over the books thanks to having more than one person, and eventually the challenges will look less like the source material as the players move beyond it. Finally, I caution you about making it quite as lethal. Not that they shouldn't be in constant danger, but none of the "you went down the left tunnel? Do you have the flute of obscurity? You die!" stuff. Or, give them the chance to retreat and return when they have the needed items in question.
This might be a good tone for, what are they called, E6 games?
>>
File: Tharjara Character Sheet.jpg (563KB, 1582x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Tharjara Character Sheet.jpg
563KB, 1582x2048px
Did I fuck up anywhere?
>>
So... what are the rules for limits/penalties that comes from being small?

1. You can only shove medium foes, no pushing over ogres.
2. ???? Something about weapons?
>>
>>52006964
expecting anyone to believe you rolled those stats
>>
>>52006964
Dueling is +2 to damage not hit.
>>
>>52006987
>2. ???? Something about weapons?
Its can't use weapons with the heavy property.
>>
>>52006963
I was thinking about e6 rules. I've asked my group and they like the sound of it but I'm kinda worried how they'll feel when thrown into, what is literally "Rusty dagger shank town" the campaign.

So basically recovering resources is hard, food's necessary and they'll be poor as shit. Most combat can be avoided as well and maybe I'll make magic a bit more useful somehow to balance the fact they have to wait 7 days without dying to recover spellslots.

Actually maybe just make it so they recover long rest abilities every 4 days (Don't even need to rest) and there's only 8 hour rests.
>>
>>52007026
If it was to hit sword n board might actually be popular outside shield master meme builds
>>
>>52007045
Ah ha, thanks.
>>
>>52006964
Why is your attack bonus with your crossbow +6? Did you actually mean to put Archery rather than Dueling and that is why it has +2 to hit written next to it?
>>
>>52006913
All those fit fine in D&D.

Birthright had the Gheallie Sidhe ffs.

>you can pray for divine intervention
This is essentially what divine magic was in AD&D
>>
>>52007116
Thanks for catching that, I mixed up my STR and DEX bonuses. Fixing now.
>>
>>52007118
It was originally published in like 1985. So it's got all those kind old school things in it.

Honestly if my players weren't slow in the fucking head I'd teach them AD&D and use that.
>>
Hm... halfling protector paladin, str 8, int 8, dex con 14, wis 12, dex 16, cha 16 seem workable?
>>
>>52007063
>shield master meme builds
GWM is the real meme, faggot. At least Shield Master can do something every round that's useful to him and most of the rest of the party. The magical fantasy world where you're landing every -5 GWM hit only exists in the mind of theorycrafters.
>>
>>52007063
>if it was to hit
People take -5 to hit feats all the time. Single weapon doing +dmg is fine.
>>
I need Aarakocra character ideas
>>
>>52007207
That is why people like archery style because it helps mitigate that -5.
>>
>>52007221
Aarakocra Phoenix Sorcerer.
>>
>>52007207
Thats what I mean- im fine with the big weapons being the inaccurate heavy hitting ones, make one handed ones accurate instead.
>>
File: Skeksis-duel.jpg (72KB, 572x447px) Image search: [Google]
Skeksis-duel.jpg
72KB, 572x447px
>>52007221
Former paladin fallen and brought over to the side of darkness as a bladelock. You lost all your feathers as the change came and developed a taste for ~sweet corruption~.
>>
>>52007256
If Elf Bladesinger is Class: Elf then I guess that would be Class: Bird
>>
>>52007264
That may be better for a Tengu, as Areakockras have their main claim to fame of having concentrationless flight.
>>
Anyone wanna gimme ideas for rat-themed enemies/challenges posed by ratfolk?
>>
>>52007264
>playing as a featherless biped
>>
>>52007392
I just can't self insert as other races.
>>
>>52006128
>Factotum.
Really just needs to be a Bard Subclass or an altered class Bard like the Spell Less Ranger or the first draft Favored Soul.

>Soul Knife
I'm torn on seeing this as it's own class or it being a Psionic Subclass of the Monk or Rogue. It may yet prove to be one of the pursuance concepts of the Mystic.

>Duskblade
I would actually be interested in seeing this come back as the subclass of an Arcane class that serves as an equivalent to Ranger or Paladin. Duskblade serving as the one with better mobility and channeling and Hexblade focusing more on debuffs. As it stands, I could see it working as a Paladin Oath, the Oath of Dusk. Which would work for Paladin orders who revere arcane gods, probably Elven.
>>
>>52007384
Rats that live under the sewers of a magical academy. They each ingested tonics and such, so each rat they encounter will either explode into the effects of a cantrip when beaten, or can fire off the cantrip as a part of their bite attack. Dungeon Boss Rat could be one that got a first level spell.
>>
I've got a Paladin sitting at 19 AC, soon to be 20 once he can afford better armor.

We haven't had a lot of combat yet, but I'm concerned about how tanky he might be- Should I be considering more threats that don't need to roll to hit?
>>
>>52007384
>Rat themed enemies
You mean aside from an NPC bard with Pipes of the Sewers and Otto's Irresistible Dance?
>>
>>52007384
Rat freedom fighters that know the layout of the city like the back of their, uh, paws.
>>
Continuing on a recent discussion.

If you were going to offer every PC a free feat at first level, would you make any other changes? A lot of players will definitely leverage ability scores for 18 base that way for starters, but taking away the bumps would make those feats undesirable. Just go as is?
>>
Hey Fa/tg/uys, Do you think Wood Elves should be able to grow beards? Why or why not?
>>
>>52007641
I personally lean towards Elves being perfectly capable of growing facial hair, but in a limited way. The kind of guys that can only grow a goatee.
>>
>>52007654
so me irl kill me
>>
So Warlords:
Proficiency with light and medium armor, as well as simple and martial weapons.
Proficiency in Int and Cha saves.
Skills: Two from Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception.

The basic mechanic to base the class around is gained at level 1: Whenever you take the attack action, you can choose to forgo one of your attacks to allow an ally within 30' that can see and hear you to make an attack. This is intentionally worded so that, as you gain more attacks, you can enable more allies. Should probably end up with 2 or 3 attacks maximum.

Other features common to all archetypes could be something like bardic inspiration; whenever the warlord, or an ally commanded by the warlord, reduces a foe to 0 HP, they gain an inspiration die. This can be spent like bardic inspiration, and the warlord's archetype can grant additional ways to use it.

As far as archetypes, I can think of two right off the bat. The first is the int-focused Tactician, which focuses on controlling the flow of battle, allowing allies to reposition, and granting combat bonuses with their inspiration. The second is the cha-focused Marshall, which allows allies to push themselves beyond their normal limits, granting temporary hit points (or perhaps allowing allies to spend hit dice to heal in combat?), and using their inspiration to grant bonuses to defenses and saves.

Thoughts?
>>
Does this sound like a decent melee "tank" build along with some utility?

>Mountain dwarf abjuration wizard
>14/14/12/14/10/8 before racials
>liberally use shield to defend self against enemies
>absorb elements/counterspell vs magic
>arcane ward hp
>half plate + shield for 19 AC
>spam booming blade/gfb/whatever
>still get full casting
>get familiar for more utility

Only thing that sucks is a bit MAD and the d6 hit dice suck
>>
>>52007695
Int and cha are two bad saves. They need one to be good.
>>
>>52007186
Yeah, GWM has consistently been less good than the internet would have me believe in two campaigns I'm in.
>>
>>52007789
Fair. Would giving them Str and then allowing them to choose either Int or Cha be alright? I'm not sure if any other classes do that.
>>
What are some good control spells that don't require concentration? Up to level 5.
>>
>>52007857
What? No. Strong saves: Dex, Con, Wis. Weak saves: Str, Int, Cha. Each class has one strong and one weak.
>>
>>52007865
Alright, so Con and one of Int or Cha.
>>
>>52007857
Motherfucker, you don't seem to understand the basic design elements of 5e. The good saves are Con, Dex, and Wis. And on top of that, not every class is proficient in saves for their primary or secondary ability, and you certainly don't get to choose.

You want a Martial class chassis that can handle either Cha or Int as a secondary stat? Str and Con saves. Now fuck off.
>>
>>52007425
>Which would work for Paladin orders who revere arcane gods, probably Elven.

This is a great idea and would really work well, since Paladins are good gishes already.
>>
I'm looking for the PDF of "Encounters in the Savage Frontier" from dmsguild.com, anyone able to share it? I can contribute the PDF for the epics of season 5 (Iron Baron & Ark of the Mountain) as an exchange.
>>
>>52007512
Maybe at least one thing per fight that targets saves. He still has the save boosting Aura but with a mixture of attacks, something's gonna hit him.
>>
>>52007785
Actually can work but a few things. First of all Dwarf only gives medium armour, so no shield. Second the SCAG weapon cantrips work great because Familiar give Advantage on your one attack per round.

I would suggest a Stone Sorcerer for this build though. Means you can dump DEX, do more damage with cantrips and if your DM's cool and lets you use Spellpoints your defences are much more versatile. Plus it's not like you need many combat spells on this guy.
>>
>>52007512
he's giving up a lot for that and...

why would enemies target him?
>>
>>52003116
>>52003071
>>52003154
>Tfw wanted to use a raised-by-oni human character that uses a tetsubo with maul stats
>Can't decide which Path fits
>Can't find character art for it
>>
Looking for a main villain for my first storyline I'm writing. It won't show up for quite a while, so it should be fairly powerful.

I want it to have a weakness that the players would have to adventure to exploit. For example my idea was that they would have to travel deep into the Plane of water to find a blade made of a magical ice or something. Which I guess this could be a type of roll your own weapon that I just make up buffed stats against the villain.

I have a monster manual coming in the mail but I thought I'd ask here as well. So far I've come across Balor which seems like a good candidate since it's power hungry,chaotic evil, and powerful.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>52007857
>>52007695

Two bad saves is perfectly fine for a crazy go nuts SADlet.

Druids and clerics work fine as SAD, but part of that is because they're from classes with historically great saving throws.
>>
>>52006794
It can be less that CR 2 as well, so you could also look into more utility oriented creatures like Giant Eagles and Giant Spiders. Consider that a fighty companion will get less useful over time, but a 80 ft fly speed mount or a walking web turret with spider climb will probably stay useful forever.
>>
>>52008070
Nah, I'll accept defeat. Str and Con are good saves for a career soldier, even if he's more into the tactical side of combat rather than 'kick in the door, fistfight the beholder'.
>>
>>52008015
Big, shiny Paladin that draws a lot of attention.

He's also a fallen aasimar so those he doesn't terrify find him threatening.
>>
>>52007641
Moustaches and Goatees at most, they can't grow full beards.

The moustache thing was primarily to give them a more iron age gaul style.
>>
>>52008061
Balor sounds good.

You could give it a fake final battle with the PCs (during which they fight it and with some conventional demonic, blackguard, or undead minions), and then a real final battle, during which they chase the wounded creature which kites them through a horrifying subterranean realm filled with aberrations, which are more than powerful and numerous to destroy both it and the party, but are afraid of fire. So if the PCs let the balor get too far away, they will close in on them and destroy them. In the middle of that despair, the enemy is their only hope.
>>
So does the Seeker patron really have anything going for it? The first level ability seems cool and that's about it.
>>
How often do you guys play? what do you do in your meantime to scratch that DnD itch?
>>
Do you guys play mostly offline or online?
>>
>>52008141
DM for a party of 6 here. About twice a month, I have a few players that enjoy theorycrafting and storytelling that help me flesh-out the setting between sessions, so I'm never really starved for "playing d&d."
>>
>>52007496
I dig, I dig. Especially the 'on death' angle. I'll make a table and roll at random, I think. Maybe do a few weird and confusing ones with more subtle effects.

>>52007524
Ooooh, haven't considered that particular inversion but I like it. Funny thing, one of my players actually dm'ed this but worse and it still somehow slipped my mind.

>>52007534
That's the only kind I know! Funny thing, really, we're a neutral party on payroll to have less of that whole 'freedom' business going around.
>>
>>52008175
Online. Haven't played offline in... hm.. 14 years.
>>
>>52008175
Offline, at home, with real friends, for fun.
>>
>>52008175
Offline. The chemistry just isn't the same online.
>>
>>52008175
Piggybacking off this, does anyone know where I can play online, text only?
>>
I find it particularly strange that oathbreakers and death priests were introduced as villain classes supposedly, but I know of no printed NPC stat blocks that use them. Even the blackguard, which is flavored as an oathbreaker in particular, is not at all an oathbreaker mechanically, and Aura of Hate seems to be PERFECT for an antagonist power.
>>
>>52008175
Kind of both. I've had offline games extend online due to events forcing us to spread out.
>>
>>52008175
Online. Although it's been impossible for me to get a group to stay together for longer than a month. My luck sucks. I kind of gave up looking for a group at this point.
>>
How would you guys both play and roleplay as a silent character? Or the character has to communicate through a non-direct way? Have any of you done this before?
>>
>>52008132
wow did you just come up with that? Never in a million years would I have thought of that.

That could work since one of his abilities is to summon creatures, which could be that first battle you referenced.
>>
>>52008312
>wow did you just come up with that?

Nah its from ME, Gandalf vs the balrog, but for some reason Gandalf and the balrog battling through a subterranean maze filled with horrifying Nameless Things gets no love at all.

Since as far as I know no video game or RPG has featured a direct homage to that scene (though there is a subtle reference in SoM) you could be the first to do so. And well, the balor is an homage anyway...
>>
I'm thinking of making a really hobo character and I'm stuck between Ranger, Rogue or a Cleric of a travel god. Banjo proficiency's a must.
>>
>>52008331
If you want a creepy murderer, then go Spell-less Ranger. They're just serial killers at that point. If you want a wandering priest, go Cleric, and if you want the regular kind of hobo, Bard is probably better than Rogue, seeing as how banjo proficiency is a must, plus most Rogues would be more of a wild mercenary than a plain old hobo.

Pick the Entertainer background.
>>
>>52008331
Rogue makes way more sense. You're even the least put-out by having to conk someone with a bottle instead of your class weapon.
>>
File: Link_botw.jpg (34KB, 404x604px) Image search: [Google]
Link_botw.jpg
34KB, 404x604px
Have a short (2-3 month) campaign coming up and thought I would make a character based on Link because of the new Zelda game. I'm not sure what class to go with though as he has lots of Fighter Qualities but also tends to light/medium armor. Because of the skills I was thinking a more combat oriented rogue but Champion might work as well with the different fighting styles. I know he is an Elf but much past that not 100%. We are starting at level 4.
>>
>>52008363
I kind of view him a paladin one of the Triforce goddesses. I would make him a dex paladin who uses light armor, shortswords+shield and a longbow. It also gives him some magic without being a full caster.
>>
>>52008359
True rogue does give the improvised weapon thing an upgrade if the DM's gonna not be a dick about it. Rangers wandering features are nice though.

>>52008355
Creepy murder's a no. Not really a priest either but it seemed like it could work. I also thought about bard but none of the archtypes really felt right on him, so I might just go rogue.

Also we're making ourselves from 10 years ago.
Calling yourself a traveling musician and playing shitty acoustic punk doesn't work kids.
>>
>>52008363
DEX paladin or a Champion/Thief could work.
>>
>>52008363
It's a shame he uses a longsword because everything else points to dex.
>>
>>52008470
"My short sword's a foot longer then normal"

Done.
>>
>>52008470
Artifact longsword with Finesse.
>>
>>52007695
Two Lesser saves, even when there are classes that are crazy SAD like Druid that follow the normal set of Main and Lesser

Secondly, and I've said this like six times now, just telling allies to attack and not getting an attack of your own, is not the main thing the warlord did.
Warlord did their OWN attack and got allies to attack as well.

Next, the only martial who gets a proper multiattack number beyond 2 is fighter, and that's their main thing they have going for them. Warlord is a battlefield commander.

Here's what I have so far.

D8 hit dice, but ability to self generate THP at later levels
medium armor and shields, martial weapons.
Dex and Cha saves, one archetype ability grants WIS, and another grants CON
Skills from Athletics, History, insight, Nature, Perception, Investigation, Intimidation, and Deception

At level 1, the class gains a fighting style and the ability to replace base attacks with orders on allies to attack. This "Command the Assault" skill is bolstered by archetypes

Level 2 grants Exploits, a Ki-like resource used for various other abilities, and two basic tactics
>Using Bonus action after an attack action to get an ally a reaction attack
>maneuver allies at half speed on Bonus action Also bolstered by archetypes.
Both cost 1 exploit

Level three gives the two major gimmicks
Archetypes determine the stat and various riders on exploits, while also giving you a group of techniques to use
>Charisma is based on boosting allies and hindering enemies, like a battlecry that makes your dudes do more damage
>Wisdom is leading by example and is the more Offensive. Example being "Make them Bleed" which uses an exploit to cause a Hex-like effect that uses WIS mod, and allies can trigger it as well, and the damage lowers with each hit.
>Intelligence is maneuvering and playing smart, working as a unit, such as making your buddies charge
Inspiring word is the other game changers it's a bonus action heal that makes the target spend hit dice.
>>
>>52008470
Rapier with Slashing damage.
>>
File: 1422990456701.gif (1009KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1422990456701.gif
1009KB, 500x280px
Can someone share a story? Some kind of story where they deal with a dickass player who can't stop being a faggot because their DM enables it, and how they left that shit/fixed it?

It doesn't even have to be real so long as is could be
>>
>>52008551
Once upon a time I was in a shit group.
I left.
The end.
>>
>>52008470
He only uses it in one hand anyway, 1d8 slashing finesse, ez.
>>
>>52008594
What if he's using the biggoron sword? Checkmate nintendrones.
>>
>>52008602
Beat me to it.
>>
What are some cool things one can do with a Kensai monk?
>>
>>52008489
I like this one, not like you're starting with the Master Sword anyways. Gotta work your way up from a kokiri sword.
>>
>>52008607
Be a Bugbear with a Lance.
>>
>>52008602
Adding onto this there have definitely been some example of strength weapons throughout the series, like the ball and chain from Twilight Princess.
>>
>>52008607

Dex based GWM user and swing for the fences
>>
>>52008607
Pummel people from 600 feet away somehow.
Turn a crossbow into a str weapon.
>>
File: 1486255958285.jpg (234KB, 1600x881px) Image search: [Google]
1486255958285.jpg
234KB, 1600x881px
Continuing the discussion of houserules from earlier, rate these:
- During any short rest, if you spend one use of a healer’s kit, you can help an ally regain 1HD of hp without spending any HD.
- Druids get druidcraft at level one. This does not count against known cantrips.
- Death saving throws are made in secret. Only the dying player and DM observe the results.
>>
>>52008602
He can attack with his less than optimal stat then.
>>
>>52008470
The master sword is more short sword sized in Ocarina. A short sword can easily be up to three feet long (the largest known gladii)
>>
>>52008658
Gotta go fighter. He needs those ASIs to keep up both his strength and dexterity.
>>
>>52008602
High Dex, Middling Strength

He's obviously a bit awkward with the greatsword, but it works in a pinch.
>>
>>52008674
>Gotta go fighter.
He really doesn't need them that much. He can afford a 14-16 strength given that it's a secondary weapon. His primary is Short Sword/Longbow, and a lot of his strength in the games is from finding gauntlets of ogre power.

He's better off as a ranger with colossus slayer and whirlwind attack. He can still use hunter's mark with greatsword, thus making up for the lack of feat.
>>
>>52008654
>During any short rest, if you spend one use of a healer’s kit, you can help an ally regain 1HD of hp without spending any HD.
Sure.
>Druids get druidcraft at level one. This does not count against known cantrips.
If you also give clerics thaumaturgy and bards/sorcs/wizards prestidigitation, sure.
>Death saving throws are made in secret. Only the dying player and DM observe the results.
Maybe in a game specifically designed to be highly lethal. Wouldn't use it personally.
>>
What's the best thing to do with your first ability score improvement as a barbarian?
>>
>>52008703
I forgot about whirlwind attack. Maybe he could go for that ranger variant with no spells.
>>
>>52008729
Spell ranger is fine so long as you don't take something overly magical. The fact that it takes spell slots is relatively meaningless.
>>
>>52008727
Dex and Con are good choices, if you want to bump up your unarmored AC.
>>
>>52008727
Was wondering this. I was actually thinking about Resilient (Wisdom) because I have a 13 in it. Pumping Strength doesn't seem as urgent because I pretty much always have Advantage and get Rage damage. Constitution was the other option but I'm a Zealot barbarian and have a deal with the cleric, he always has a Revivify ready to go.
>>
Wasn't the no-spells ranger on the mega at some point? Why would that be removed but not the original favored soul? They're both from the same article.
>>
>>52006964
>Neutral Evil
That is where you fucked up.
>>
>>52008727
Strength.

Offense trumps defense at low levels.
>>
>>52006964
Why do you have grappler with a shield?
Why are your stats so high?
Why don't you use Heavy Armour?
Why do you have a Rapier with Strength?
Why do you have Dueling wrong?
Why are you Neutral Evil?
Why is your Crossbow getting +6 to hit?
Most importantly, who the hell names their kid that?
>>
>Everyone gets a feat at first level so long as it's not on this list. No variant humans.
Crossbow Master
Great Weapon Master
Heavy Armor Master
Mage Slayer
Polearm Master
Sentinel
Sharpshooter
War Caster

Thoughts?
>>
>>52008949
Makes shit waaaaaaaaaaaay less flexible. The ability to take shit like Ritual Caster at first level leadsto really good and engaging backstories and character development.
>>
>>52008949
I'd allow Mage Slayer and War Caster. War Caster's already a bitch of a feat tax and Mage Slayer can provide flavor for a character who's fought against spellcasters a lot.

Nobody's gonna get angry about getting a free feat in your games though.
>>
>>52008930
The funny thing is that even as a strength character, the other one handed options actually offer no benefit over a rapier. (Except versatile but that's virtually worthless)
>>
>>52008949
Why mage slayer and war caster?
>>
>>52008989
Sometimes you really don't need a shield right now or can't afford an action to quickly get it on. Plus isn't piercing generally the most resisted? I might be wrong about that.
>>
>>52008949
There's probably no need to cut variant humans. The first feat you get is huge, the second one, not so much aside from the particular PAM and Crossbow style of gameplay, which are already unaided on your list. If you need to cut variant humans, it might be worth looking into modifying base humans since they're pretty trash, and even more so now that people're are going to be jumping into 18 base statlines.

Honestly I like the simple solution to character customization of "start at 4". Level 1 feats require a bit of adjustment and creating lists for them is really clunky. It kind of feels like a "best get better" rule too, most of the weakest playstyles aren't weak because their mechanic is bad, but because they're poorly supported.
>>
>>52008949
Honestly, just give one feat without any limits; people who are heading for PAM will just take it at level 4, and spend the first 3 levels bitching about how you're not allowing their character concept.

Consider replacing the human stats with the following:
+2 to 1 stat, +1 to 2 others.
2 bonus skill proficiencies.
Speak common and one other language of your choice.
Adaptability: Once per short rest, when you make a skill or ability check you are not proficient in, you may add your proficiency bonus.
>>
File: 1488540040270.png (621KB, 711x613px) Image search: [Google]
1488540040270.png
621KB, 711x613px
>>52009015
>>52009010
>>52008949
Got the pic saved
>>
>>52009010
Variant humans are probably the second most powerful race in the game (next to winged tieflings), so I don't see the problem in disallowing them. Makes the game more interesting due to there no longer being a no brainer best race.
>>
>>52009036
This. I started in 3.5, and moved on to pathfinder because no one but me wanted to play 4e. 95% of the characters I came up with were human simply because getting all the shit needed to make them work was easier as a human.
>>
>>52008949

Funny, these are the exact feats I'd give people for free so they would feel up for taking more interesting feats later.
>>
>>52009063
Here's my philosophy: Anyone with the capabilities shown by some of those feats would not be a first level adventurer. On the flip side, feats like Alchemist, Observant, Skilled, etc. seem more like character traits than powerful abilities. So we have sort of the same dichotomy, but I prefer to have the flavorful feats first to show some semblance of power progression.
>>
>>52009062
I definitely plan on using the "feat trainer" reward from the DMG fairly liberally so PCs can get their leet builds done very early in, rather than having to wait half the fuckin game to get that shit operational.

Feat training from the captain of the guard or whatever also feels, flavor wise, like a much more conservative reward than magic items, which aren't (or shouldn't be, imo) be part of your expectations/build.
>>
>>52009141
. . . I did not know that was a thing. That makes a lot more sense.

Actually, with that as an option, taking an extra feat at level 1 might not be necessary, since quite a few builds really only hinge on getting one specific feat.
>>
>>52009036
Variant humans are the most powerful race in the game but it's not so much because "they get one feat more than other races" as much as it is because "they get one feat". Again, PAM is an outlier where they'd get a big lead on that, but otherwise not even Crossbow Master + Sharpshooter is such a massive boon over just taking Sharpshooter and playing with a bow for four levels. Optimization a lot of the time involves picking up a feat at 4 for most people, then pumping into stats following that.

The thing with variant humans is that their numbers work like this. You have a +1/+2 in your primary score and your feat. Other races optimizing will have a +2 in their primary score. At 4, variant humans might get a feat, or better yet, they'll leverage the free feat into an ability score modifier, giving them a +3/+4, over any other race using a similar build that has to stop for a feat. This will last them the rest of most campaigns.

In the scenario that everyone has a free feat, a second free feat often can't be leveraged well because as it stands, most builds just don't need the extra feat, making it much more viable to just say, play an Elf Wizad, take Spell Sniper, and enjoy being better than any Human caster for the rest of the campaign.
>>
>>52008949
>not just folding them in to fighting styles
Maybe now someone will actually take those flavour feats instead of spending them on something their class was probably already supposed to be able to do.
>>
File: Necroman.png (7KB, 214x369px) Image search: [Google]
Necroman.png
7KB, 214x369px
What's a good feat for a necromancer?
>>
>>52009181
War Caster if you use concentration spells. Skilled to be proficient in deception if necromancy is frowned upon in your world. Maybe Inspiring Leader if your DM lets your undead gain temp HP.
>>
>>52009202
You can spend 10 minutes inspiring your companions, shoring up their resolve to fight. When you do so, choose up to six friendly creatures (which can include yourself) within 30 feet of you who can see or hear you and who can understand you. Each creature can gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Charisma modifier. A creature can't gain temporary hit points from this feat again until it has finished a short or long rest.

Your skelly buddies are
>friendly creatures
>can see you
>can hear you

RAW, it works.
>>
>>52009181
Keen mind so you can remember the names of all your skellies.
>>
>>52009164
>play an Elf Wizad, take Spell Sniper, and enjoy being better than any Human caster for the rest of the campaign.

>enjoy being better than any Human caster

Where is this goofy ass "elves are better" meme coming from? V-Humans in this scenario can start with frikkin int 18 (both lame intelligence feats). Or if nothing else, they could do the same thing the elf guy did, and then getting another +1 to int with one of the lame intelligence, putting them on gnome level without the horrendous draback of being A FUCKING GNOME.
>>
>>52009063
If you don't incencitivize the interesting feats, nobody will take them over a basic stat boost or a mastery feat.

It's not exactly easy to incentivize people to take Actor or that feat that gives you photographic memory (besides maybe a wizard being told "oh yeah you'd better get ready to lose your spellbook")
>>
>>52005547
Fluff normal wizard. You summon stuff to do stuff for you when you cast spells.
>>
>>52009154
The way I see it is:

3e: 1 starting feat (+2 flaw feats), 3, 6, 9, for total of ten.
4e: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
5e: 1 starting feat (because you're playing a v-human or else paying a whopping 3 level flavor tax), 4, 8.

So I'm thinking that feat training quest rewards at, roughly speaking, 1, 2, 6, and 10 will be what I'll go for. That way, virtually all builds will be done by 2, 4 at the latest.
>>
>>52009245
Yeah, idgi, the only elves that strike me as just that good are Wood Elves for Druid/Ranger/Monk.

A bonus cantrip on a wizard is fucking useless.
>>
>>52009295
>It's not exactly easy to incentivize people to take Actor

There is something to be said for a spellcasting stat at 18 at level 1, you know...
>>
>>52009245
I should've used a gnome wizard or elf rogue example actually, but you basically illustrated the point I failed to make.

In the scenario where every race gets a starting feat, Variant Humans are often forced to play catch up with other races in their strong score at the cost of losing racials. They still have things they're better at, PAM again, but they're no longer able to leverage both a feat and an ability score lead in most builds like they have. A Gnome Wizard despite being a Gnome is going to be a Human Wizard trading one proficiency and the ability to tell directions for darkvision and saving throws.

This doesn't make variant human useless, but it's markedly weaker when everyone has a feat than when no one else does.
>>
File: raw.gif (685KB, 498x205px) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
685KB, 498x205px
>>52009023
>mfw I homebrewed this exactly as pic described, never before seing the pic
>>
>>52009339
>Variant Humans are often forced to play catch up with other races in their strong score at the cost of losing racials

V-humans can cope with not being the supreme race for every last character build imaginable.

>gnome wizard

Demi-magic resistance is pretty good, although in the case of, say, a cleric, a v-human getting resilient wisdom is still better, as magic resistance grows on trees (if you can talk your DM into letting you get variant familiars, MR is yours), comparatively speaking, while there are utter shitloads of nonmagic wis saves (close to every natural fear power monsters have is this).

>but it's markedly weaker when everyone has a feat than when no one else does.

Definitely a good thing.
>>
>>52009408
Might have glanced over it in a thread and it latched onto your brain, or one hell of a coincidence.
>>
>>52009408
>>52009423

Or it's just the straightforward, sensible way to do it. It's 5E, not rocket science.
>>
>>52008949
I was considering giving option of 1st level feat bought for 3 points when buying stats.
>>
File: Monk.jpg (9KB, 202x250px) Image search: [Google]
Monk.jpg
9KB, 202x250px
How do the monk subclasses (including the UA and SCAG ones) stack up to each other?
>>
>>52009694
Kensai: Finesse Polearm Mastery/10
Open Hand: Better Battlemaster w/o PAM or bows/10
>>
>Vou can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least
one size larger than you.

Is this... a thing? They mean cover, right?
>>
>>52009704
They said Kensai should work with Martial Arts. So GWM is better, especially with the +3 to hit.
>>
Just joined a game and made the mistake of choosing heavy RP spells for my warlock.

Everyone else has min maxed for combat.

Being told I'm useless to the party, even though I'm the only one not currently imprisioned by the BBEG and have saved them multiple times from all the cursed items they seem to forget about and put on every session.

Just leveled up so now I'm gonna respec to combat dick warlock and rain Eldritch Blasts
>>
>>52009811
how do you get so heavy RP that you can't get the class's reason for existing?
>>
>>52009711
No, i dont think they mean cover. You can literaly hide behind your taller friend (if you succeed on Stealth, obviously).

Is there something wrong with that?
>>
>>52009811
A cantrip, a spell, and an invocation is all you need, can't the rest be RP spells?
>>
>>52009835
But I mean, the game gives rules for getting "cover" from creatures, but not obscurement. Obscured is an actual game term, afterall.
>>
>>52009828
>>52009837
I have the basics for combat but the amount the others have gone combat, I can't compete
>>
>>52009868
>I can't compete

get eb
get hex
get agonizing blast
>>
>>52009711
In many cases 5e defaults to the standard English definition of the word. See "target" as an example. So in this case: halflings can hide when the only thing blocking vision of them is another creation one size or more larger than them.

If it meant either of the game terms, it would have said "lightly obscured" or "heavily obscured."
>>
>>52005902
>10' radius 'aura'
Sounds like a defender.
>>
>>52005921
First, it's all spells with the mechanics that requires. Second it's not a very good set of spells. Third, it doesn't cover recognizably warlord abilities. Fourth, it's only 14 spells, which is not enough to make even one character. Fifth, some people would prefer a structure other than the long rest full caster for their martial resources. It doesn't even get bless, and there's NPCs with martial bless. It doesn't work.
>>
>>52005717
I think the main problem is that it wasn't daring enough.
You didn't get enough points to shift around to your specific bits to have a really huge impact, and the chakra binds meant that some of your melds were much, much better than others.
Plus the whole 'Not stacking well with actual magic items' thing.
That said, totemist's "Build your own monster every morning" deal was amazing.
>>
>>52006091
>Even Haste
Haste doesn't. UA is experimenting withreactions that don't. DMG's marking variant doesn't. If you don't want to give give the action to attack, you can also give them bonus damage on the next attack, like a combat inspiration that doesn't suck.
>>
>>52009995
>First, it's all spells with the mechanics that requires

Almost everything about the warlord is just wanting to hamfistedly slop 4e mechanics into 5e, not particularly features of the warlord.

1. Action economy. Yeah, the 4e warlord is crazy go nuts with extra action granting, but everyone can already take 101 opportunity attacks and has Action Surge, so the permissive action economy people want to give the warlord in 5e is really just an attempt to shoe in 4e's action economy.
2. Warlord fans want buffs that are as good as magic, but can't be stripped away with a dispel magic. Dumb.
3. Warlord fans want buffs that are as good as magic, but that aren't limited in usage as much as magic. Dumb.
4. Despite #2 and #3, the warlord still followed the same format as anyone else in 4e for its buffs and resource.
5. Despite people wanting them to have buffs as good as magic, but not dispellable or limited in the same sense, people also want them to get 3 attacks, just like fighters do.

The 4e wasn't some eldritch Thing From Beyond with incomparable mechanics to any other class, I don't see any reason or need for it to become one in 5e.

Totally unreasonable on every level, and the hype has built to the point that any implementation is going to disappoint people.
>>
>>52009811
Is this like my party's 8 DEX wizard who forgets to cast Mage Armor and accuses everyone of munchkinry?
>>
What do you/your DM do when you're missing a player?
Our group hasn't had a session since last year because our DM refuses to play if a single player is missing. When we have a group of 7 (including DM), it's nigh-on impossible to get a game planned where everyone's present. I've tried saying that he doesn't always need to do main-storyline stuff (it's a homebrew campaign, AFAIK) and that we could easily just go off gallivanting on some orc-killing, gold-earning raids, to support the party; but he always just ignores my messages in the group chat.
I'm starting to get the feeling the group just doesn't want to play, but whenever I speak to any of the members individually they're always rearing to go...
>>
>>52010426
I'm working on a relatively linear megadungeon that the PCs should be able to explore largely indefinitely, and a full party will let them penetrate deeper while a not full party will require them to explore current or earlier levels.

The PCs will generally control the pace at which they take rests (though the populations in many areas may very well restock if given 24 hours, so they have to be somewhat proactive when trying to go deeper), where they go, etc.
>>
>>52010426
Usually we either come up with some reason for why the absent player's character is missing, or just straight-up ignore them until they're back.

Usually we know a few weeks in advance when someone's going to be missing though, so we can plan ahead and work out why.

As for what you've said:
>Our group hasn't had a session since last year because our DM refuses to play if a single player is missing.
Sounds like a shitty DM. It can be frustrating if people are constantly missing, but refusing to DM just one player not being able to make it is just autistic

>When we have a group of 7 (including DM), it's nigh-on impossible to get a game planned where everyone's present
Shit like this is why I only play in groups with regular weekly sessions now. 99% of posts you see about scheduling/commitment issues can be solved by setting a regular time you play when you form the group. Trying to fit games in 'whenever works' just means you end up with people cancelling last-minute as they don't feel the obligation to turn up.
>>
I want to have a possible encounter with a sniper who makes seemingly impossible shots at long range, forcing the party to deal with his fire while also fighting minions. What's the farthest range I can reasonably have him fire from that doesn't make him a sitting duck to closing the distance instantly with teleportation? I know Heavy Crossbows have a long range of 400 feet (more than the 5e DMG's 320 range for a hunting rifle, ISHYGDDT), but I was wondering if that was going to be enough of if it was going to turn into a sniping contest.
>>
>>52010603
If a PC wants to close the gap with teleportation, that's a GOOD thing -- it means one PC suddenly has isolated himself 400 feet away from the rest of the party, and there could be anything strewn round there. Buckets of violet fungus, rot grubs, spiders, whatever.
>>
>>52010506
We did set a regular time and day, weekly, but one of our players (a regular missing member) made us change it as she had university lectures to attend. We chose a second day everyone was free, but the problem continues. Obviously with such a large group people will be missing now and again, and that's why I've said, several times, we need a plan for when that happens.

>Sounds like a shitty DM
He's a decent DM, just unwilling to co-operate with a compromise.
>>
>>52010656
May be not a shitty DM, but it's still not cool. Next time you have an actual session, bring it up before everyone leaves - he can't ignore you face to face.
>>
>>52010603
Make him an NPC archer of some kind. Give him sharpshooter feat and a Longbow. 600 feet and maybe put him on top of something.

I would give him some Ranger spells to mix things up with the shots and an appropriate animal companion to guard him.
>>
>>52010681
>Next time you have an actual session
Whenever that may be.... :^)
Will do though.
>>
I was going to make Half-Dwarves for my next games setting and this is what I've come up with.

Ability Score Increase: +2 CON, +1 to two other stats.

Darkvision: 60 feet.

Dwarven Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage

Stone Cunning: Whenever you make an Intelligence
(History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.

Skills: You gain Proficiency in one skill of your choice.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish.

I was also thinking about putting on the dwarf "Your speed is not reduced in Heavy Armour" but that's an extra thing over Half-Elves.
>>
>>52010706
>Remember longbows as 150/300 and don't check the book
>Longbows are actually 150/600
Oh, shit, I'm sleepy and retarded. But yeah. I had considered giving him improved Assassin stats for that sweet Sneak Attack damage (another reason why he has the minions), but setting up several Cordons of Arrows could prove pretty useful as a penultimate line of defense. Ensnaring Strike could screw over an idiot out in the open, and Hail of Thorns would just be a general bitch to deal with. I was gonna give him Sharpshooter anyways, so I'll check that off.
>>
>>52007884
Str and Wis would also work.
>>
>>52010766
I'd focus more on low damage AoE's and control abilities with him. No one wants to die from 600 away from an Assassin.

Disarming shots, ensnaring strike, even tripping people over could make him more fun to deal with. Also put plenty of cover around.
>>
>>52010790
Yeah, on second thought, that fits more with what I had intended. The idea I had was that he was more of an environmental factor than a regular enemy, so that the party dreaded any indication that he knew where they were. Every turn on the turn, he would do something to mess up their plans or generally be a pain.
>>
So what are some good ranged/caster type things that could plausibly work with violet fungi, spore servants, and gas spores? Everything there is so slow moving that its begging to be kited, but more importantly, such a varied style of "antagonist" (fungus creatures) all shares the style of pretty strong hand to hand and plodding movement.

So far I'm thinking Ropers (perfect for reeling in PCs shy to engage in melee), and MAYBE warlocks of Psilofyr, the archfey of myconids, or of course Zuggtmoy. Cave Fishers are another good monster.

Perhaps Boggles could slather the area with sticky or slippery goo.
>>
Huh. If your dm allows kaladesh crafting feats, is there any reason to be a Tome lock anymore?
>>
>>52010871
Looking it over, it's actually a perfect feat for an Artificer.
>>
>sorcerer keeps saying he is so charismaric and can persuade anyone
>does some long ass speech as to why these two warring tribes shoukd make peace and help us fight a bigger foe
>DM gives him advantage
>give him a 1 with portent
>>
>>52010758
>what is a mul
>>
>>52010909
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

You know what's a bit sad about Artificers? They can't actually make a Thoptor as their mechanical companion and a feat makes you better at magic magic items than the actual class.

It realy feels like Quicksmithing should have been folded into the base artificer.
>>
>>52010957
>What is there's no rules for it and my setting just calls them Half-Dwarves.
>>
>>52010967
I might add it onto their spellcasting and give them the ability to cast find familiar for a servo or thopter. They're slightly underpowered anyway.
>>
>>52010978

Considering all the thopter options are familiar animals it seems fine.
>>
>>52010968
Which non-dwarven race would ever fuck with a dwarf?
>>
>>52010967
The quick smithing feature is pretty weird. It doesn't actually say how you cast the spells. Presumably you can cast them as ritual spells, but it seems weird that your super inventor character can make an instant teleport spell in ten minutes, but takes an hour to make a firestarter.
>>
>>52010989
I'd fuck a dwarf.

Also if I was a potato farming peasant, a wife or husband who's tough as nails, resistant to poison and gonna be able to work the farm like a madman would be looking pretty good.
>>
>>52010999

Fire is hard. Do you think it can be made with just sticks or something? Rigging together a 1 shot teleporter in the middle of a dungeon with just the shiny metal you found on the ground nearby? Now that's easy.
>>
>>52010951
You sound like and asshole.

Why?
>>
File: average dwarf.jpg (151KB, 1440x1659px) Image search: [Google]
average dwarf.jpg
151KB, 1440x1659px
>>52010989
No one fucks with dwarves except orcs, but lots of races would fuck a dwarf.

They're ripped and rich.
>>
>>52010145
>and the hype has built to the point that any implementation is going to disappoint people.
As already demonstrated by Banneret, Oath of the Crown, Battlemaster, Valor Bard, and arguably Cavalier.
>>
>>52011058
what if they made any of those not suck instead
or in the case of battlemaster and valor bard, allowed a different playstyle than the base class and every other archetype for it
>>
How do you balance roleplaying and not being a worthless potato in game?

I want to be a firbolg storm sorcerer but obviously firbolg are not cha based. So this would mean my cha start would be ass early on. This is why I hate racial bonuses to stats because it feels like it shoe horns races.

Anyway, how do you balance wanting a good flavorful character and not being hit garbage mechanically?

Also, I am newer and was wondering what mechanics or classes are newb traps? Or what classes are actually boring? I get the sinking feeling that fighter is probably a boring class with little room for RP?
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 526x391px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 526x391px
>>52010909
Actually, this really activates my almonds.
A thread or two back I said something about making artificer's level 6 into a "secondary archetype" of sorts. Why not include Quicksmithing as one of those possible "secondary archetypes", with the servant as another option?
>>
>>52011137
That sounds good to me. I hate the construct honestly, I hate controlling pets in general. So I'd take quicksmithing any day of the week.
>>
>>52011058

more proof entitlement mentality players cannot be pleased by anything

>oath of the crown

I like these guys even though they're generally weaker than devotion paladins, they have excellent flavor. Instead of being sworn to goodness, honor, etc., they're sworn to a monarch. So it fits that they're weaker.

Mechanically, they have some interesting elements: only paladins with Warding Bond and Spirit Guardians, and their reverse turning is a pretty much unique effect. Instead of scattering fiends and undead, they lock opponents in, and heavily armored melee dudes do have a genuine problem with light/unarmored shooty/magic guys kiting them forever.

But yeah, nothing warlordy about them at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (165KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165KB, 768x1024px
>>52011106
The answer for your first problem is simple: you align your stats for CHA and just put another ASI into charisma. As stupid as it sounds, it's still just only a +1

However, with your second problem: There is only three real "trap" options in the PHB.
Berserker Barbarian (as its own main mechanic can literally kill you and progressively makes you more horrible the more you use it), Four Elements Monk (as it has a massive resource drain even compared to other archetypes like it, plus the spell choice isn't even that great), and Beastmaster ranger (The archetype's main gimmick works entirely against the base class, and the pet is far too squishy. This is mostly remedied in the revised ranger UA though.)

Boring options are actually fairly small however. Champion Fighter is the only fighter that's actually really boring, as it only really ever does one thing and nothing else. Basically just auto attacks.
PHB ranger feels a little weak early on, and doesn't have the oomph of the revised flavor.

Special Note goes to Artificer however, for not quite feeling like a full class. It doesn't really add much to a team beyond freebie magic items simply due to how it's built. This is more because it's Playtest material and isn't anywhere near complete though.

No classes or archetypes really limit your RP either.
>>
>>52011106
>How do you balance roleplaying and not being a worthless potato in game?
Tough question. I'd like to stress that the balance point is not set in stone. Its different for each group and even for same person in different times.

>firbolg sorcerer
I'd argue that having +4 or +5, when you're rolling d20 isnt THAT big difference.

>Anyway, how do you balance wanting a good flavorful character and not being hit garbage mechanically?
1. You're creating character for heroic game. So dont create character that CANT handle heroic situations. Cowards and pacifist have difficulty of fitting in game about courage and violence.
Also, mechanics and RP dont necessarily need to have much interactions. Your decesions, personality, ideals are not set in stone, nor affected whether you're battlemaster or champion.

>Also, I am newer and was wondering what mechanics or classes are newb traps?
Consensus is that Elemental Monk and default Beastmaster are shit, everything else is viable.

>Or what classes are actually boring?
That could be Champion Fighter - but i think its simplicity is not bug, but rather feature. Its intended for players, who dont enjoy tactical part of game that much and want something simple to run.

> I get the sinking feeling that fighter is probably a boring class with little room for RP?
Why would fighter have little room for RP? Personaly, it works exactly the other way around for me. Since fighter is somewhat simplistic in mechanicaly speaking, i tend to spend more time thinking about their personality and reasons their fighting.
Again, mechanics and RP do not interact that much.
>>
>>52011211
>Berserker Barbarian
>Trap

This meme has got to end. The only "bad" thing about them is that they can only use their bonus action attack schtick 2 a day safely (second time being reserved for when you know there will be no further fights that day) before Greater Restoration comes into play. And there aren't exactly many options for putting your bonus actions to use that early in the game.

Their level 6 ability is not only vastly better than the totem barbarians but plugs the greatest weakness martials in particular (and basically everyone but paladins in general) have, being instantly taken out by Charm or Fear. There are quite a few creatures that can just plain hit you with with "roll a wis save or game over" effects.

Finally, level 10 uses a wildly nonsynergistic ability score, but if they do have a workable Charisma score for some odd reason, its a very powerful form of debuff, usable at will.
>>
>>52011211
I see..

My other issue is that as a sorcerer, I hear you pretty much have to take twinned spell for metamagic AND the haste spell. Is that true?

What is a sorcerer supposed to even do actually compared to a wizard. The spells known for sorcerer is so tiny. I guess what I am trying to figure out are disadvantages and advantages of caster classes.

Cause right now, wizard seems the best?
>>
File: 1484303247556.png (2MB, 1214x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1484303247556.png
2MB, 1214x1109px
>>52011296
>Berzerker barbarian on thescene
>WOW LOOK AT ALL THESE BONUS ATTACKS I GET but I have to exhaust myself, use a rage and not get the other archetype rage features

>Guy with PAM rolls up
>Why can't I hold all these bonus attacks?
>>
>>52007221
I was originally a wild mage birb with magic stemming from plane of air n genies n shit, UA came out around the time I got petrified so I changed to a stone sorcerer, and let me tell you is that broken, can get an AC of 21 with 2 actions if you combine haste and your 13 + con ac ability, it's p good my friend
>>
>>52009811
Agonizing blast, repelling blast. Good charisma. You're now done, this is literally all you need to fuck up any monster's day by pushing them to the moon every turn.
>>
> Wood Elf can hide against darkvision creatures in a total darkness, since they are count as lightly obscure
>>
>>52011385
See that's the shit I am talking about. I would love to take more RP spells for other classes but why do that when you know combat is a thing.

Everything just feels really pigeon holy.
>>
>>52011385
Be archfey pact so you can reduce enemy speed by 10 feet too.

And get phantom steed so you can use dash action every round for 200ft movement.
>>
>>52006001
Its not too bad as a battlemaster but thats about it
>>
>>52011408
They're sneaky
>>
I honestly think all we need for battlemaster to be a warlord is ore manuevers. Maybe add a higher level ability where you can pick one or two of your manuevers and do them at will.
Make comanders strike cost a bonus action OR and attack but not both. Change the temp hp one in to an aoe effect. Give them an option to heal either healingword style or lay on hands style, or make med kits better
>>
>>52011053
Is this achievable RAW ?
>>
>>52011524
Barbarian capstone.
>>
>>52011053
>your grandma will never take your picture in tighty-blacky for your grinder profile.
Why even lift ?
>>
So does Gunslinger Artificer have anything going for it or does it do other classes things in a shitty way?

>>52011591
That's why I don't lift and put a shitty picture of me on mine.
>>
>>52011355
Sorcerer gets a small number of spells, yes. However they play a much different role in a fight to wizard.
Sorcerers play good support due to the fact that they can buff allies in ways nobody else can. Twinned Haste is good yes, but so is twinned Disintigrate.
You're a lot different in the way a wizard works, but the cost of this is only ever having a piddly 15 spells.
In fact, Sorcerer is part of the single strongest multiclass in the game.
>>
>>52011667
Speaking of multiclassing,

Which combos work best and why? I was considering multiclassing but a friend told me that it's useless for the most part.
>>
>>52011724
Warlock 2 / Paladin or Sorcerer or Bard
>>
>>52009811
Goolock with Repelling, Tentacles and Agonizing blast.

Push, Pull and Play with their puppet strings.
>>
>>52011724
Literally any of the charisma casters multiclassed with any of the other charisma casters.

Druids and monks for spider grapple shenanigans.
>>
>>52005429
>already allow that
>people DON'T do that?!
>acceptable
>shitty, don't use it. Force rerolls.
>>
>>52008602
>>52008618
You'd have to get really lucky and find a magic item that fixes your shitty strength to find something like that useful.
>>
>>52010967

To be fair, PSK was written after the release of the Artificer playtest by a guy on a different WoTC team, MTG, who just so happens to have been a designer of the Artificer Class back during the development of 3.5 Eberron.

Frankly, their magic item dev rules along with the rules for making life craft constructs and vehicles would fit awesomely in a 5E Eberron game.
>>
File: old tg.png (6KB, 307x164px) Image search: [Google]
old tg.png
6KB, 307x164px
So in your opinion did the Warlock UA unfuck the bladelocke?
>>
>>52010989
Keep in mind that fantasy dwarves don't have actual dwarfism. They're just tough, barrel-shaped people with a lot of hair (with either a little or none on the women, depending on your setting) that stand about four-to-five feet tall.

Go with the "no facial hair," variety, and my buddy just married that description about a year ago. And she's very friendly and actually pretty cute.
>>
File: 1343477798132.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1343477798132.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>52009023
Hmmm i remember being one of those that helped to make this pic, few months back.

I actually been further playing with the idea of giving the humans +1 to any 3 rather than +2/+1/+1, mainly to avoid a level 1 human getting a +3 in a stat, how does that sound?
>>
what is the viability of the arcane trickster?
>>
>>52012159
At that point you're just playing a weaker normal human.
Really to make human better, they need actual racial features, such as a skill and tool of their choice.
>>
>>52012184
i somewhat disagree, as the ability to place those +1's in any stat make you able to fit any class you want perfectly, and that's true power of versatility, but I do think they could also use a tool profiency as well.
>>
>>52012207
You could not be more wrong about how worthwhile a racial +1 is
>>
>>52011532
How can fighterbois compete ?
>>
>>52012134
Sort of. It made the bladelock overpowered, but I'd rather have something overpowered with obvious fixes, than underpowered.
>>
I have a hard time roleplaying. I just find it hard to get into my characters personality rather than use my own. Like all my characters basically just use my own personality.

The other problem I have is that I like cha based classes but I hate trying to verbally convince npcs and shit.

For example, last night out dm had us try to convince some deep gnome refugees to go to a sanctuary in a mountain. I said my best words to try and convince and rolled a 1 on the persuasion.

That's frustrating because now what can you say? This makes me feel like actually trying to convince a npc to do something has nothing to do with words and is all roll. Which is fine but why use all that effort?
>>
>>52012466
>>52012466
>>52012466
New thread
>>52012466
>>52012466
>>52012466
>>
>>52010145
Did you mean to reply to me or did you just see some trigger word and start REEEE-ing?

>The 4e wasn't some eldritch Thing From Beyond with incomparable mechanics to any other class, I don't see any reason or need for it to become one in 5e.
Every class does need something that makes it stand out though. That ability that says "I'm an X, so I can Y." The Fighter has Second Wind and Action Surge. The Paladin has Lay on Hands and Divine Smite. The Rogue has Sneak Attack and Cunning Action. The Barbarian has Rage and Reckless Attacks. The Monk has Martial Arts and Flurry. The Wizard prepares spell from a book and specializes in a school of magic. The Cleric exemplifies a Domain and can Channel Divinity. The Druid can Wild Shape. The Warlock has a Patron and Invocations. The Bard gives special inspiration. The Ranger and Sorcerer are kinda poorly designed. Their stuff is all passive.
>>
>>52011724

For a level 20 build, Bard 18/Warlock 2

Level 18 gives you your last MSecrets, and of all the other Charisma casters, two levels of sorcerer is shit, because you go far enough to get two sorcerer points, but no metamagic, and Paladin is shit, because if you wanted what the paladin gives you, you'd have gone to Valor Bard, and then have gotten two levels of Warlock anyway.

But mostly because Bard 19 and Bard 20 are so terrible

>No new spells known
>you get a single extra use of inspiration if you blew all your "recharge on a short rest" resources already which you'll just use to Cutting Word's the enemy's initiative anyway

Why does WOTC shit on bards all the time /5e/?
I mean, we already suffer enough by playing with people who are not playing bards.
>>
>>52012507
Ask your DM if rolling first and then describing what you say based on the roll is okay with him.
I'm surprised few people seem to do this, because it's how you play out literally every other action.
>>
>>52012567
Metamagic isn't passive
>>
>>52012612
Metamagic is all but useless outside of two.
>>
>>52012612
It is a little passive, but primarily, it's beyond the level range of every other ability referenced. Metamagic is in the sorcerer's archetype level, not their universal class feature levels.
>>
>>52012628
Not a huge deal considering the average player will usually only get two and never get more than 3

Sorcerer isn't a particularly well-designed class but at least it has a "thing". Rangers just seem like shittier Druid/Fighter/Paladin/Rogues with no real unique ability (especially since only BM gets an animal companion).
>>
>>52005767
b-but muh nonmagic
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.