[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 27

File: Flail Snail.jpg (63KB, 750x833px) Image search: [Google]
Flail Snail.jpg
63KB, 750x833px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51956410

Eternal Flail Snail Edition
What do you think of the artwork from Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
File: Tomb of Horrors.jpg (457KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb of Horrors.jpg
457KB, 1536x1153px
Yawning Portal art
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12438586

The 'Everyone hates Loremaster' meme is still going strong.
>>
File: White Plume Mountain.jpg (465KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
White Plume Mountain.jpg
465KB, 1536x1153px
>>51964029
>>
>>51964030
I mean, what's not to hate?
It plays on the strengths of a god wizard and heightens it even more, and aswell getting a mechanic which should've been added to the metamagic that sorcerers have.
>>
File: Against the Giants.jpg (356KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
Against the Giants.jpg
356KB, 1536x1153px
>>
>>51964030
I'm personally surprised that Champion Fighter and Four Elements Monk get that much hate.

What's so bad about either of them?
>>
>>51964029
Fifth for wizard 10/cleric 10
>>
So is there any good way to build a battlerager or berserker? I don't want to use the totems or any of the magical UA options.
>>
File: Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.jpg (520KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.jpg
520KB, 1536x1153px
>>
>>51964036
Is that a manticore?
>>
>>51964054
Champion is boring and 4 elements monk is terribly inefficient and doesn't work that well.
>>
What does "ring mail" look like in D&D?
Nothing I found through Google really strikes me as something that'd be considered heavy armour.
>>
File: Forge of Fury.jpg (522KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
Forge of Fury.jpg
522KB, 1536x1153px
>>
>>51964054
Champion is simple and also the weakest type.

4E monk abilities are just overpriced, too few, and are doomed to get no support.
>>
>>51964059
This is the one I'm looking forward to. Anybody ever run it? I really love Aztec flavor for dungeons and I've heard good things about it.
>>
File: The Sunless Citadel.jpg (572KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
The Sunless Citadel.jpg
572KB, 1536x1153px
And that's all of them. The artwork for Dead in Thay will remain the same.
>>
>>51964063
Champion's so boring that it's worse than all of the other listed classes?

It's boring but at least it does okay in its niche.
>>
>>51964020
The point of that combo is that... The warlock can see.
>>
>>51964056
Beserker is easy, get GWM and reckless attack every attack, at 5 that's three attacks with advantage and if you have 18 Str by then, +2, you are bound to get lucky and do 20+ damage in one hit. Now do that a few times and you are good.

Utilize the help action for your exhaustion and that's it. It's really not that bad. Level 6 if they fail their fear against you they have constant disadvantage with your action, and you have your bonus action attack for damage.
>>
>>51964088
Because if you want a fighter that does more damage be a battlemaster or one of the many UA
If you want a fighter who's tanky be an eldritch knight.
>>
File: Tomb of Horrors.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Tomb of Horrors.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Oh! And a preview of Tomb of Horrors.
>>
>>51964104
But that doesn't matter if both sides have neither advantage nor disadvantage. Mechanically, it's just a normal fight.
>>
I want to be a light cleric that can use sun blade in the future. Should I go with Wood Elf?
>>
>>51964115
The warlock has advantage dipshit. That's the point of the combo.
>>
>>51964115
The warlock can see, so he isn't blind. Thus he get advantage and enemy get disadvantage when attacking him.

All the party member fight as normal because both sides are blind.
>>
>>51964135
Fantastic, you give the character with suboptimal damage some advantage.
Amazing. What a gamechanger. Combo is going to be YUGE.

>>51964139
Read above.
Ever wondered why this combo just never comes up in play?
>>
>>51964125
Yes that would be your only bet without DM fiat or Weapon Master feat.
>>
File: 1484377776292.png (75KB, 142x289px) Image search: [Google]
1484377776292.png
75KB, 142x289px
Haello friends.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've been wanting to play a bladelock now that some new invocations have arrived and I decided that a Fiend pact with Mace of Dispater is neat.
Anything I need to consider, or some neat things I can get to help out with my inevitably subpar performance?

DM asked us to roll stats and I rolled 16, 16, 15, 14, 14, 11.
>>
>>51964161
high elf,drow and half-elf (from SCAG) could get it too. They are suboptimal though.
>>
>>51964157
Like a peasant, you are assuming that people are going full warlock and not just dipping 2 level of it for the combo, then go multiclass Paladin or Sorcerer.
>>
>>51964056
Berserker:
>use a big-ass greatsword, maul or greataxe
>pick GWM at some point, and Fell Handed with maul if your DM allows it
>save Frenzy for the more important battles
>enjoy being an unstoppable tank immune to the usual martial shutdowns, charm and fear
>if possible, try to have decent Charisma
>>
>>51964195
>relying on multiclassing to make a shit combo work
I mean, there are DM's that do not allow multiclassing, and especially not something like warlock into paladin.

Because lul fiend warlock goes paladin because reasons.
>>
>>51964204
>The only warlock is a fiend warlock
Yeah a fey warlock paladin of the ancients is totally unreasonable and out of character.
And all paladin are lawful good, otherwise you lose your powers! Oops, wrong edition sorry ;)
>>
>>51964019
>>51964020
Darkness is still useful to blind those ranged or caster enemies away from the party. Or to cover your escape, though Fog Cloud is better for that.
>>
>>51964175
Christ anon, you rolled good.
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 15
Int: 11
Wis: 14
Cha: 16
>>
I'm running Curse of Strahd, started with Death House as an introduction and our next session will therefore be the real "first step" into Barovia.

One of my player's girlfriend wants to play. I'm thinking she could play Ireena.
I'll talk to her and him both, provided Strahd can get pretty creepy, but they shouldn't be against it.

I'm partial to letting her create the character normally, forbidding only Druid, Monk and Warlock. Warlock I'm not sure since she could consider Strahd as a "Patron" giving her power... Fiend or Old One, maybe? Or is there any decent homebrewed Vampire Patron?

Thoughts?
>>
>>51964175
Dragonborn for 18 Str for hitting and 16 Cha for spells. If you pick Fiend understand that you shouldn't only be using your weapon no matter, you are still gonna need to use your spell slots for when you need to pump out damage.

Other than that you should be fine. You won't be winning the highest damage and as long as you can accept that it will be fun. Plus you can just fireball on short rest at level 5.
>>
>>51964225
Aye, rolled quite well.
And that was mostly the stats I was thinking using, just unsure of race and such.
>>
>>51964204
Stop trying to change subject anon. Your point about "BAWWW PARTY WILL BE MAD" has already been disproven with your lack of game mechanic knowledge.
>>
>>51964175
> rolling for stats
> not doing it in order
leave that game. Your DM hate both fun (random uncontrollable stats) and balance (MM monsters are balance around standard array).
>>
>>51964227
The problem with letting someone play Ireena is Strahd is going to heavily focus on turning her. Plus when the party reaches Krezk she can end up getting teleported out of the plot by her magical pond boyfriend.
>>
>>51964222
>being called fey knights =/= are fey knights
Boy, you sure knocked that one out of the park. I'm sure no one would bat an eye if a fey lock powered by Auril decides to go paladin. Surely not.
>>
>>51964175
>subpar performance
>with those stats
lol buddy, you're gonna be fine. You could go variant human with actor feat and make your final array
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 16 (+1)
Int: 11
Wis: 14
Cha: 18 (+2)
Or you could go with half elf and have round stats all around. Really, pick whatever race and the right invocations, and it's gonna be fine.
>>
>>51964250
I had my players roll for stats so I can throw harder/more fun monsters at them.
>>
>>51964240
Not that anon either, but 2/10 for trying.
>>
>>51964019
You can abuse it if you've got a range build. You can aim at targets at max range, cast Darkness on yourself, and shoot them without any disadvantage, because although you've got Dis- from range and being blind, both cancel out from being hidden.

>>51963959
>>51964157
Roguelocks, though because advantage = Sneak Attacks. All the time. Everywhere.

>>51964222
Why you so salty though? Darkness+Sight is a solid combo for melee Warlocks, whichever way you look at it. And to answer the original original question, melee warlocks are more viable than they were before thanks to the new invocations.
>>
>>51964265
> All Warlock must be evil
> All Paladin must be good
You are in the wrong edition thread.
>>
>>51964238
Stout halfling
Dragonborn
Variant Human
Fallen Aasimar (fucking perfect for your build)
Half-Elf
Triton
>>
>>51964009
What does await me in the 5th edition?
Can I play a carpenter who runs his own buisness?
>>
>>51964235
Not using my weapon? How so?
I mean the new invocation weapons literally gives the ability to smite so that's pretty powerful, moreso than most spells.

>>51964250
Holy shit, have you ACTUALLY had someone make you roll stats IN ORDER?
Also, had this DM for the better part of 14 years, he's a good DM.

>>51964269
>right invocations
That's the hard part. Because there are a lot actually fun invocations, and then there are the invocations that are mandatory and whatnot.
Also, I rolled one of the lowest statlines in my party.
>>
>>51964303
Yes, but don't expect to level up from woodcarving
>>
>>51964282
Just nitpicking but you aren't actually hidden ( that would require an action to hide). You do get advantage from being heavily obscure though.
>>
>>51964295
Triton? What the hell is that?
Also I doubt I'll play fallen aasimar. Partly because I despise being "that guy" and partly because my party in general are pretty against overpowered races.
>>
File: Ireena.png (183KB, 294x345px) Image search: [Google]
Ireena.png
183KB, 294x345px
>>51964254
I've thought of that. I think it's OK.

Firstly, I don't think it's unreasonable to have Strahd "showing off" in front of Ireena and showing her how powerfull he is by crushing her friends instead of turning/kidnapping her. That's what's cool with Strahd, he's not entirely one dimensional.

For your second point, I think it's not that bad. I don't know if any group ever guessed that it was a "winning condition" to be honest (it seems very convoluted to me, but maybe it's just a matter of hinting at it?). But even if they save Ireena's soul... It can be a pretty good roleplay session where the player has to decide if she wants to fully go or if she wants to stay - maybe giving her spiritual powers and she'll become some sort of secret weapon against Strahd or something.
It's also pretty "far down the line". I hope I'll get to kill all of my PCs before we get to that.
>>
>>51964306
Yes, Roll in order is fun.
>>
>>51964306
If you're worried, go with maximum utility. Beast Speech, Silent Image, you can have a lot of fun with those.

You can also use Eldritch Blast to push people around with Repelling Blast for battlefield control, and use the SCAG cantrips.
>>
>>51964314
How is this managed? Why don't I get experience from making and selling woodcrafts?
>>
>>51964325
Triton are from VGtM
Fallen Aasimar are less powerful than variant humans, and are on par with half-elves and lizardfolk
>>
>>51964316
You're not wrong. I'll take the point.
>>
>>51964332
I mean, maybe if you want to race with your other party members on who dies first?

>>51964333
Aye, I played a warlock way back in the first 5e campaign we did as basically a party face because there wasn't much else a warlock could do.
And I'll already be strapped for invocations since I am going bladelock, I effectively only have one "free" slot to fill since 99% of campaigns usually end at or before lvl 10.
>>
>>51964227
I wouldn't do it, it seems better to me to leave her as an NPC, proper damsel macguffin to drive the exploration. Spoils the potential atmosphere keystone when she dies/ is turned /etc
If you think it's fun though, and fun for your players, go for it! You know your group better than us.
>>
>>51964355
I thought people who roll for stats want "fun and random" character instead of standard cookie cutter or min-max munchkin character?

Instead, I only saw munchkin pretender who want their chance at god character (and complain and whine to DM for a reroll if they get any stat less than 10).
>>
>>51964344
Oh, tritons are fishpeople. Not sure if I am a fan, but I'll keep it in mind. I usually tend to not want to play non-core races.

Also, how is fallen aasimar LESS powerful than variant humans when they have necrotic damage equal to level for a minute each day?
>>
>>51964386
>I thought people who roll for stats want "fun and random" character instead of standard cookie cutter or min-max munchkin character?
That's exactly why we roll, but if someone rolls just straight 4's for the entire statblock, that isn't "fun" or "lolquirky". That is literally lower than peasant tier and a character who can't go outside without dying.

Rolling in order is incredibly outdated and retarded, because it cripples whatever idea you had when you roll a whopping 3 strength when you decided to be a fighter.
Also;
>I only saw munchkin pretender who want their chance at god character
AND I CHOSE A BLADE WARLOCK. SURELY I AM A HORRIBLE MUNCHKIN WHICH WANTS TO BREAK THE GAME.

Do you even think things through before you type them?
Jesus fuck, dude.
>>
>>51964306
Well the strength of the fiend relies on the spell selection you have, using your spells slots for only your smiting means that you don't get to use them for burning hands at low levels and fireball for higher levels. Smiting is indeed a lot of damage but fiends have a strong spell list.

It's like riding your bike 20 minutes to work as you leave your car at home. You can do it and it's not really a bad choice, but with your situation you have other options that someone trying to be efficient wouldn't.
>>
>>51964434
yeah but what if you're trying to be ecofriendly
>>
>>51964388
Variant humans can start with PAM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>51964355
Since you're going melee bladelock of the fiend, is Cloak of Baalzebul arlready on your list? Cause it sounds fucking awesome.

Also Tomb of Levistus just looks visually cool in my mind, and would be great for any of those "Oh shit" situations when you're surrounded, almost dying, and your friends are away.
>>
>>51964434
I mean, we've already got a Lore Mastery wizard in our line-up. I am not going to dazzle people with my infinite, awesome spells. But I'll keep it in mind.
>>
File: 1486266148912.png (29KB, 219x264px) Image search: [Google]
1486266148912.png
29KB, 219x264px
>>51964442
God I fucking hate PAM. The game would be infinitely better if PAM would just be removed.
Yes I am salty.

>>51964444
I was keeping an eye on both of those because they seem awesome both for flavor and actual use.
>>
>>51964336
When you gain experience with woodcarving it is added to your NPC class. Normal class levels can't be raised through woodworking, but you can multiclass into NPC if you work enough.

I recommend Guild Artisan Paladin2/NPC18, for smiting your perfect cuts.
>>
>>51964030
I'm more surprised the "Loremaster is reasonable" meme is still thriving
>>
>>51964441
Then pick Captain Planet as an Archfey patron.
>>
>>51964448
Does your DM know about strength save hold person?
>>
>>51964462
What's so bad about PAM?

Does getting one opportunity attack a turn when an enemy enters your reach unbalance the game that much?
>>
>>51964487
Yes.

>>51964489
The issue is that it's pseudo-TWF but with reach and synergizes disgustingly well with Sentinel and Tunnel Fighter.
There's literally no reason to take TWF IF you can take PAM.
>>
>>51964489
No ifs bonus action d4+Str. It's a second attack equivalent to holding a dagger and picking two weapon fighting. More attacks and Paladins barbarians and rangers all do extra damage when they hit with attacks.

Quarterstaff Shield is awful and I DM rule you need two hands on your weapon to do the pummel strike.
>>
>>51964306
I mean, the smite gives you 6d8 damage to one enemy, fireball is 8d6 to a huge area. Which one is better depends on how many things you're fighting. Besides, interestingly enough, Mace of Dispater is actually a great way to attack fiends, since most of them are immune or resistant to fire anyway.

>>51964448
>Lore Mastery in our line-up
Well shit. Good luck anon, and I regret to inform you might have a too permissive shit DM, if they're allowing that level of brokenness.
>>
>>51964462
I know. I hate PAM too. It is borderline broken as a feat, Wizards should take note of that because basically all the most powerful melee builds have PAM in some shape or form.

If I DM:d, I would probably just outright ban PAM, because it's that good.

>>51964489
Oh hell yes it does. It can be comboed with Sentinel, meaning if you hit the opponent, they can't touch you unless they have 10ft+ range attack.

That's absolutely bullshit. And then there's the infinite kobolds paradox.
>>
>>51964513
Aye, I know that Fireball is better, it's just that our wizard is just going to blow me out of the water 99 times out of 10.

And as stated before, our DM is fine, and he knows about Lore Wizards and tends to go full Tucker except with most monsters instead of just Kobolds.

>>51964517
>If I DM:d, I would probably just outright ban PAM, because it's that good.
Same. It's just too good.
>>
Should PAM fixed be our new meme? I'll start.

>Bonus Action Pummel strike is only d4, with no strength bonus.
>>
>>51964517
That's a big if, not to mention that casters have access to spells that do way more than that.
>But spells are a limited resource!
Feats and fighting styles are a far more limited non-renewable resource and you just wasted two feats and a fighting style on making a PAM TF Sentinel.
>>
>>51964409
> implying you aren't trying to cheese with new bladelock pseudo-smite.
>>
>>51964517
>If I DM:d, I would probably just outright ban PAM, because it's that good.

Just don't throw enemies into the meat grinder. You know what infinite kobolds would do? Lay infinite traps and shoot from range because they are kobolds.
>>
>>51964558
>you just wasted two feats and a fighting style on making a PAM TF Sentinel.
If you think making a PAM, TunnelFighter Sentinel build is "wasted" then I have some news for you.

Also, there is no spellcaster in the world that can effectively have infinite spells in a round aslong as they have people threatening.

And since you are so keen on comparing martials to casters which is just absurd to begin with, martials to other martials then?
Do you genuinely think a rogue would come even CLOSE to a PAM TF Sentinel Paladin?
>>
>>51964557
No because any competent GM knows it is situational as all fucking hell. Although meme these days just seems to mean everyone repeating something incorrect so sure.
>>
>>51964560
Are you genuinely retarded?
If I wanted to cheese smite I would've played a paladin with my goddamn statline, you utter fucking weaponized bagel.

The reason I chose Mace of Dispater is because you can prone people.
Fucking cheese with smite?
Why yes, this surely will be overwhelming amounts of power with my d8 hit dice class that has only light armor and a whopping +2 dex at best.
>>
>>51964587
Situational how?

Combat starts, opponent closes in, *Whack* they can't hit you this turn.

Whale on them on the next turn with your normal attacks and d4+str attack, take one step back.

Rinse and repeat. If the opponent manages to get close, whale on them and action surge* out.

*if you're a fighter

If the opponents are restricted to melee fighting, it's going to suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Hell, going Tunnel Fighter makes it even worse, because you can do this same thing with infinite amount of enemies.
>>
>>51964578
Rogues and every non-caster class should be given options that are equivalent to that.

Also, if your DM ever has more than three monsters die in a single turn to that build, they're either pandering the player and giving them a chance to hog the spotlight or they are completely brain-dead and refuse to have their monsters work around the PAM TF Sentinel's strategy.

'Potentially infinite' doesn't matter outside of theory.
>>
>>51964470
Even if you do that mass hold person - str save thing, it still can't touch 'solos' with legendary resistance, still takes a failed save for the other monsters, it's limited by shirt rests, and that sort of thing is the wizard's job anyway.
Compare to a necro, illusionist, or diviner, the power level is already there.
Fluff wise, it just doesn't match with the rest of the class, but that's not a balance issue.
>>
>>51964628
>Rogues and every non-caster class should be given options that are equivalent to that.
That's the issue, they don't. There are no options equivalent to having ranged TWF that, with two more feats, stop people dead in their tracks and the fact that you can do it infinitely.

>Also, if your DM ever has more than three monsters die in a single turn to that build
Ah yes, because if you're in a tight corridor and they're melee enemies, surely the DM is pandering to the player if he can't get past that aura of bullshit.
Any hallway or somewhat small room and you literally can't get around PAM TF Sentinel bullshit unless you have a spellcaster or something with ranged capabilities.
>>
>>51964648
We are trying to get away from save or die spells, this is a low level save or die spell and giving a character this power over enemies and other players it's not where 5th edition should be going.
>>
File: 1435458872563.jpg (36KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1435458872563.jpg
36KB, 620x400px
>Half-Elf, standard array 8 / 15(+1) / 10 / 14 / 13 / 12(+1)
>Fiend Warlock 2 ->Monk 1 ->Fiend Warlock (Blade) 3 ->Bladesinger X
>Unarmored, Mace of Dispater uses Dex
>2 level 1 slots per day (or your spare invocation) for mage armor, constant 16 AC
>Spend spell slots on occasional vital buffs like Haste, all extras burned for massive smite damage riders on Booming or Greenflame Blade hits
>Bladesong and Haste brings you to 20 AC, up to 3 attacks with Mace per round for maximum nova (and a bonus action to kick them for funsies)
>2 level 2 spell slots that recharge each short rest to keep you going all day in addition to fat wizard reserve and arcane recovery
We finally have the real glass cannon build
It's still weaker than just bringing Mace of Dispater onto a full plate paladin or cleric
>>
>>51964625
>Situational how?
Because it's only effective against melee enemies when they move into your threatened range, not casters, ranged martials or anything with 15ft reach.

Though I will concede it is broken in terms of how powerful it is... against a functionally infinite number of mentally deficient kobolds in a hypersphere. Which isn't situational at all, I throw that at my players every few sessions.
>>
>>51964662
Ranged combat has ammo bonuses stacking with the weapon, and the best 2 fighting styles, that stack for a +3 to hit.
There's no need for bonus attacks, but if you want you can waste yoke concentration for 2 of them.
Archers are potentially at +5 of the sword guys grab one of those expertise feats) to hit compared to meleers.
>>
>>51964739
>anything with 15ft reach.
Make a bugbear fighter with that build. PAM TF Sentinel with 15ft reach, you're welcome.
>>
>>51964745
Fantastic, and while you're at the rear trying to snipe the mass of mobs closing in on your party, a PAM Sentinel TF fighter has just stopped everything within reach in their tracks and can do so next round aswell, and the next round after that.
>>
>>51964719
As the bladelock dude above trying to make a Fiend build.
What you are saying is that I'd be better off just 3 levels in warlock and the rest in cleric?

That's fucking depressing.
>>
>>51964712
Are you sure?
The monk is based on spamming save-or-stun until it takes, the diviner works directly on saves, and now this...
The die part is more limited, but the mechanics are here to stay.
>>
>>51964625
A group of flying enemies with bows start firing at the Polearm user.

Between the polearm user and the enemies is a series of death traps.

A spellcaster uses save based spells to disable the polearm master from afar.

A monster with 15ft reach doesn't even trigger the AoO.
>>
making a wood elf druid (moon circle)

i know stats are basically irrelevant because of wild shape but what should i do to make sure i'm not completely fucked when i need to be caster? using standard array
>>
>>51964757
Tunnel Fighter is broken UA shit
If anything the important thing to remember should be that if we're handing out a second set of +3 gear, the bowman has a +3 bow and a limited set of +3 arrows, and the melee has a +3 weapon and +3 armor that lets him last in that danger much longer and isn't lost when used.
>>
>>51964757
>can do so next round aswell, and the next round after that.
Assuming they don't get mobbed by all the creatures that entered their range last turn and die.
>>
>>51964746
Longlimbs only works on your turn smartass.
>>
>>51964662
If the DM creates a situation in which there's a tight corridors with enemies in it that need s to be navigated through, then he's either giving the PAM TF Sentinel a chance to shine or he's a moron that has no clue about how to get around the build.

Here's a few ideas:
>The creature approaching the Sentinel is too strong to be killed in one hit. It either isn't hit by the opportunity attack or it is hit and takes a little damage.
>Spotting that the Sentinel has adopted a defensive stance, the creatures decide not to approach and adopt their own defensive stance, remaining in place and defending their ranged creatures and casters.
>Those creatures that are capable of ranged attacks start using ranged attacks. Those that are moderately intelligent but have no ranged attacks might even start picking up rocks and throwing them at the Sentinel.
>Rather than attack the bristling Sentinel, they decide to focus their attention on the squishier targets in the group and outright ignore him. If they can't navigate their way around the Sentinel, this is done with ranged attacks.
>Once they are within the Sentinel's range after either approaching and surviving or because the Sentinel has been forced to go on the offensive, the Sentinel's 'aura of bullshit' is rendered inert and can no longer function on them until they leave and/or re-enter reach.
>Frankly, they decide not to deal with the Sentinel's bullshit and just take off down the corridor to find a wider area in which they can fight the bastard, hopefully with more of their allies.

The fact this build has potentially infinite opportunity attacks doesn't matter when, you know, your monsters act with a modicum of intelligence.

The PAM TF Sentinel is just a cool build that excels at area denial and dispatching large swarms of unintelligent enemies. It requires a character to be 8th level or higher, 4th level if you use the variant human and it can be achieved by three classes.
>>
>>51964388
>Also, how is fallen aasimar LESS powerful than variant humans

Frankly, I just let people at my table respec their bonus stat to races whatever way they want, so if someone wants to play a scourge or a protector Aasimar that's +1 to STR and gets flight speed, I'm actually cool with that.

It's basically the same argument as rolling for stats, except far more coherent and fair within the probability curve line
>>
>>51964786
>>51964789
Why the fuck are people thinking up insane scenarios just to counter a single problematic synergy when you can just outright ban the feats in question?

It boggles my mind. If you want to play with OP builds then go ahead, anyone else just ban PAM and TF.
>>
>>51964462
>God I fucking hate PAM. The game would be infinitely better if PAM would just be removed.

I only allow PAM for monks
>>
>>51964771
If your goal is "smash the fuck out of things with Mace of Dispater"?
At level 3 til 10, the pure warlock has 2 spell slots to burn for it each short rest.
At level 4 the warlock 3/cleric 1 has stacked on an extra 2 spell slots. At level 6, they've got 6 extras. They also get armor they can use so they don't need Str to hit and Dex to defend, and the plethora of useful cleric spells and abilities. In the end, they get way more chances to use that smite ability.
>>
>>51964812
I mean, I know that no one in my group nor my DM would allow either innate flight speed or something crazy like level-scaling damage that works a full minute per day.

To each their own I guess.
But it's mainly why I most likely won't play Fallen Aasimar.
>>
>>51964817
Insane scenarios like... not throwing infinity kobolds at a level 4-6 (minimum) fighter, and instead countering the build with casters and ranged fighters.

The point we're making is that it ISN'T OP because it literally only functions well if every encounter is set up in a perfect way for the build to always work.
>>
>>51964817
Creatures attacking another creature from outside of its reach is an 'insane scenario.'
Creating hazardous terrain that keeps one creature from safely approaching other creatures is an 'insane scenario.'
A caster using spells to disable another creature and keep it from fighting optimally is an 'insane scenario.'
A creature capable of reaching a long distance is an 'insane scenario.'

Glad to hear it.
>>
>>51964829
So basically, the answer is "yes".
>They also get armor they can use so they don't need Str to hit and Dex to defend
Not sure I'm following here however.

Also not sure how lore valid it'd be to multiclass from a warlock to a cleric.
Do I just become a cleric of <insert insane demon here>?
>>
>>51964844
>>51964857
It clearly isn't "working as intended" if you have to tailor a fight strictly around avoiding the fighter making an area of denial.

Also, being able to stop people dead in their tracks works in every fight that has melee enemies, which means you have someone pushing out crazy amounts of CC that will keep the entire party far out of danger.

As I said earlier, if you want to play something that forces your DM to tailor combat to your character because it's completely insane and has no equals then go ahead.
If people don't want to do that, then ban the feats. It's this simple.

This also enables you to stop making poor excuses and trying to piddle your inane argument on people. Everyone wins.
>>
>>51964833
>not allowing Aasimar because it can fly and do extra damage for ONE SINGLE fight per day
>allowing Lore Wizard which can actively metagame, exploiting enemies' weaknesses and avoiding their defenses
I don't understand your group.
>>
>>51964773
Stunned is for a turn and no more, and it relies on not his secondary stat, and they need to make the save every turn and can have +10 to their saving throw, and they have to be level 5, and have to hit them.

Diviner only had three options and if they are all 11s and up, it may not work. Even if they are all 2s they are only for 3 turns.

Loremaster can do this for a full minute, 10 turns, triple the amount of time a diviner can do his thing with luck, and requiring 9 more saving throws and 10 ki, to do what a level 2 loremaster can do.

Lore master is a train wreck that will be a step back from where D&D should be going. Where there is a clear better option than other classes, minor conjugation, hypnotic gaze, even portent, pale in comparison to this thankfully only beta test material.
>>
>>51964844
The only problem I personally have with it is that unless the opponents have as long or longer range, they can barely even touch the PAM-user.

Like, if you pit a strong-ass fighter with a greatsword against a PAM Sentinel, chances are that that greatsword-wielder will probably only get 3 hits in to the PAM-wielder's 6-7, meaning the odds are definitely stacked against the greatsword-wielder.

Most combats, especially on lower levels where PAM is god-king, have melee fighters with 5ft range. And most games only go on for lower levels.
>>
>>51964866
If you're a pure warlock, you need to use strength to hit things with your MACE of Dispater. That's a pretty big damper, because you only get light or mage armor, and thus need Dex for AC and Str to aim with your vital mace strikes (putting damage bonus aside even). You also have to worry about Cha for your spellcasting and Con for concentration and HP.
If you wanted to multiclass cleric, you could leave Cha at 13 and take warlock abilities without saves (or bump it to 14 for that extra 1 THP when you knock things out with that fiend feature) and not worry at all about Dex because you'll get heavy armor proficiency from your Cleric domain. Granted, now you need to look at Wis for Cleric casting, but it's a happier MAD since you'll be harder to hit and thus care about Con less and don't need to bother with Cha.
As for lore reasons, in FR canon Asmodeus is now both a god and a devil. Check SCAG. A Cleric/Warlock of Asmodeus is totally legit.
>>
>>51964909
In the case of the Lore Wizard, it's their class, it's what they do.
The race stuff tends to push things over the edge.

I mean sure, if you want to, you could probably make something like a warlock Shillelagh oathbreaker which does weapon dice + wis+chax2+another 15 or something for that one fight per day.

Or a bugbear assassination rogue, just unneeded damage that tends to push things into OP territory.
>>
>>51964817
I don't understand why people are talking about banning PAM. It's literally "I'm going to hold my pokey stick out, and if you want to run at me I get to poke you." It's fun and makes sense, and it allows characters with no use of bonus actions a way to increase their damage just a smidgen.

Banning TF is understandable, as it's UA and therefore has problems. But no DM in their right mind is going to just blindly allow everything from UA into their game... Right?
>>
>>51964893
Here's a piece of mind-blowing information:

The DM should tailor every encounter and every session for the characters that the players have made. Each encounter should be an opportunity for certain characters in the party to be challenged or certain characters in the party to shine in the spotlight.

If the DM isn't tailoring the campaign around the characters that his players are playing, then he might as well play by himself.
>>
>>51964940
>He thinks assassin is OP
That shit's not even up to par, even with the bitty bonus bugbears give it
Do you think situational big damage numbers are what breaks things and not insane lockdown and versatility provided by spells that can be dropped often with no setup or consequence?
>>
Hey guys the other day my wizard cast fireball on a bunch of enemies that were all bunched up and killed them all really easily. How did such an OP spell get into the game, let alone at third level?
>>
>>51964937
Thanks for typing it out, that seems pretty reasonable.
I'm working with a statline of 16, 16, 15, 14, 14, 11 so either way I'd most likely not suffer too much from being mad, but gaining more spellslots and getting heavy armor proficiency would be great.

What'd be a good choice for a cleric domain?
Tempest seems pretty neat.
I genuinely don't have much of an idea regarding clerics, never played one and haven't really checked their domains.
>>
>>51964966
How can martials even compete
>>
>>51964817
How are any of those scenarios being insane? All of those are things that will likely just happen if you making a varied batch of encounters. Hell you just claimed that ever sending a Gargantuan creature at the party is an insane scenario.

>>51964893
You heard it here folks. Any class that does fire damage is a broken class. Why is that you say? Well many enemies have weakness to fire so if I decide the enemy would not be an interesting encounter for the group as the party will just steamroll it I have now tailored the encounter due to one players strengths.

News flash, you are a GM, it is your fucking purpose to tailor encounters to the parties strengths and weakness.
>>
>>51964966
You get 3rd level spells at a minimum of character level 5
Don't bunch up a bunch of weak enemies in front of a wizard with fireball, that's playing exactly into the best possible scenario for the spell.
Have them spread out, get up close to the mage, use bigger enemies, or all of the above. Problem solved.
>>
>>51964940
>it's their class, it's what they do
Yes, they just break the game and do stuff that makes no sense, both balance and fluff-wise, for a wizard to do.

Now tell me please, how the fuck does Aasimar break anything? For starters, they're not going to want to use that all the fucking time, because it betrays their celestial heritage and draws a big fucking target on their heads for anyone interested in slave trade or just killing celestials in general.
>>
>>51964987
That's insane. You're insane. We need to ban this OP spell, and Wizards too. Fuck Wizards.
>>
>>51964941
Well, not that dude, but I personally don't like PAM because it invalidates TWF.
It's effectively just a better TWF with reach aswell. :(

>>51964962
When you tack those situational damage numbers on to classes which already has really strong situational damage numbers.
What happens to an endboss if you have a paladin smiting on every hit, hasted and does an additional 10 necrotic damage per hit?
>>
>>51964987
But anon here >>51964893 just said tailoring fights around a build means it's OP.
>>
>>51964941
Yes, in-game it makes sense, but the problem comes from the fact that statistically, it is an insane area denial boon. Opponents cannot come into 10ft area next to the PAM, because they will get attacked.

If the character has Sentinel, they can't even continue moving if they're hit.

If the character has Tunnel Fighter, this applies to all creatures trying to come to the zone, not only the first one.

If the PAM TF Sentinel is near the squishies of the party, the Wizard can keep blasting enemies from the sidelines for days. And at best scenarios, the PAM can still use most of their turns to just going around the vicinity to murder opponents.
>>
>>51964788
anyone?
>>
>>51965036
14 Dex for AC, get a shield, cast your spell and bonus action wild shape into something with great con to hold it.

Pick spells that buff you or provide utility until you can get shatter and call lightning.
>>
>>51964998
>For starters, they're not going to want to use that all the fucking time
I think you underestimate the amount of people that looks at +damage and goes "HOT DAMN, I WANT THAT."
The main issue I have with it, as most of my group has, is what I just pointed out in another post.

If you tack that extra damage on to a paladin that also has haste, he will shred an endboss into nothing at all within a round, maybe two. Is that fun?
Do you, as a fellow player, enjoy seeing a boss geting exploded by another player in your group while you didn't have time to contribute?

I mean it's like tacking bugbear on to a nuclear druid. You don't need to make things do more damage than they already do.
>>
>>51965032
>If the character has Tunnel Fighter, this applies to all creatures trying to come to the zone, not only the first one.
I'll concede TF is busted but, as pointed out before, it's UA material. It's released to be playtested. It doesn't need to be banned because it isn't technically part of the game unless you decide it is. And without TF, PAM Sentinel becomes way less effective at crowd control because they get one AoO per round.
>>
>>51965036
Just put you second and third highest stats in Dex and Con if you are that worried about it.
>>
>>51965061
should i go for 14 in the array as dex and get a +2 from being an elf for the AC? or stay with 12 which is what i was thinking of
>>
>>51964829
But a warlock 10 version would get 5th level spells/slots and extra attack. And if you can prepare for it, you're also capable with a non-smiting pact maul that plainly outdamages EB at every level from 1 to 10. And warlock 10 gets two ASI, while 3/7 gets one.
>>
>>51965003
So, on the "final boss fight", the paladin is using all of their resources up very quickly by burning them for damage each hit, as well as being supported by a spellcaster who is dedicating concentration, and somehow also has a flat damage bonus from some other source.
Sounds like the "final boss" should have done a better job draining the party's resources beforehand, and aught to do something here to disable the single target whom all the chips are on, such as by simply breaking the caster's concentration and stopping the paladin for a turn as Haste breaks.
>>
>>51965036
Have at least 14 Dex, try to find non-metal medium armor. You probably want something around 8 14 13 12 15 10 as your stats in order, depending on your race.
>>
>>51965003
It's a little apples to oranges, isn't it though? TWF is a class feature, and PAM is a feat. With TWF you get 1d6+ability mod damage on a bonus action, and you get it immediately. PAM is a feat and gives you a d4.

Hell, TWF can take Dual Wielder on top of that, and hold a warhammer in each hand. Polearm fighters don't get a fighting style for polearms, except if you count GWF, which only really shines with mauls and greatswords
>>
>>51965072
that's what i was thinking but i wasn't too sure i haven't played druid at all. it's probably not that big of a deal but being vulnerable while not wildshaped doesn't sound great.
>>
>>51965088
alright, thanks!
>>
>>51964987
>Don't bunch up a bunch of weak enemies in front of a wizard with fireball

Are you telling me to tailor my campaign for my players?

No, fuck you.

In the campaigns I DM, my players are only allowed to play these stock characters that I've created, that they level up according to my specifications and that are only allowed to prepare the spells that I grant them permission to.

That way, I never have to tailor a campaign for my players ever again. Oh, and god forbid if they try to take an action that's not in the PHB...
>>
>>51965076
Stay wth 12, make 14 your intelligence or charisma depending on your character.
>>
>>51965086
>and somehow also has a flat damage bonus from some other source.
From Fallen Aasimar. As it pertains to what we've been arguing about, which was Fallen Aasimar.

>Sounds like the "final boss" should have done a better job draining the party's resources beforehand
The paladin leaves the casting of higher level spells to the actual spellcaster and saves his 3rd level spellslots to smite with.
There you go.

> do something here to disable the single target whom all the chips are on, such as by simply breaking the caster's concentration and stopping the paladin for a turn as Haste breaks.
It's the first round of the fight, the paladin was second in initiative after the rogue and the Haste cast was twinned by a Sorcerer.

The reason I am pulling this example up is because it is exactly what happened in our last campaign. Has also happened before, hence why my party doesn't like to make things more powerful than they already are by tacking on OP races.

I am not sure why you are trying to argue this as this is what we're running with. That's just the end of the story, there is nothing you can type that will change my entire groups mind so you might aswell use your time for something with a bit more importance.
>>
>>51965032
I think people bitching about PAM TF Sentinels neglect to mention the fact that characters can miss on their attack rolls.
>>
>>51965128
is intelligence particularly useful for a druid? my character's backstory is she's been fucking around in the woods for a while so i wasn't sure about having either particularly high, but i think elves are usually naturally smart/charismatic anyway no?
>>
>>51964937
>You also have to worry about Cha for your spellcasting and Con for concentration and HP.
The typical blade lock can use Armor of Agathys that raises hp and doesn't need cha or concentration. Cha is still good though and this guy will have more stats to throw around than usual. It was already fine.
>>
>>51965092
>With TWF you get 1d6+ability mod damage on a bonus action, and you get it immediately. PAM is a feat and gives you a d4.
It doesn't have range. Also, that only applies to classes that are able to get the fighting style. Paladins aren't one of them.

Also, 2d8+x2mod isn't better than 1d10+1d4+x2mod with reach. Not to mention that you have the other two feats that synergize to an extreme amount with PAM.
>>
>>51965143
More smart really, intelligence adds to your nature check so that would be better for your character.
>>
>>51965079
Warlock 12
>3 * 10d8 smites per short rest
>2 attacks each turn at 1d6 + Str (competing with 3 other stats to increase) + Cha (competing with 3 other stats)

Vs. Warlock 3 / Cleric 9
>2 * 4d8 per short rest
>Also 4 * 2d8, 3 * 4d8, 3 * 6d8, 3 * 8d8 and 1 * 10d8 per long rest
>1 Booming Blade for 1 attack of 1d6 + Str (competing with 2 other stats to increase) + 2d8 + 1d8
Less nova, massively more sustain and much better defense
>>51965154
Armor of Agathys eats your precious few spell slots, and the Cleric multiclass can still cast it too.
>>
>>51964978
Anyone got a quick tip for a good cleric domain that has heavy armor proficiency?
I can look through the books for it but I am currently at work and I haven't got them on my phone alas.
>>
>>51965167
cool, thank you for the advice.
>>
>>51964081
Yeah I actually converted it to 5e myself before WotC announced it and my players had a great time.
>>
>>51965182
Less nova damage?
If I remember correctly, the invocation smite doesn't specify warlock spellslots, only "a spell slot" which means you could theoretically use cleric slots for it?
>>
>>51964222
Hey are you that feylock/pally anon? How'd your game going?
>>
>>51965066
Maybe you didn't notice it, but it takes an action to undergo the Aasimar transformation. So there's a full round before the paladin can even reap the benefits. Even then, let's see... For the most powerful combination, aasimar hasted Paladin with PAM and probably 18 Str, level 10, throwing smites left and right:
3d10+1d4+(4*4)+40+(about 10d8?) = average 120 damage, which is a fucking lot, sure, but if you're throwing a single boss with less than 200 HP and no way to avoid damage at your level 10 party, you're doing it wrong.

And then there's what this anon said: >>51965086, your party should have their resources drained before getting to the boss, who would quickly focus the caster to break that Haste.
>>
>>51965184
Tempest, mad combo with your Booming Blade cantrip (taken from Warlock) thunder damage
War, bonus action additional weapon attack for more nova and channel divinity for surefire accuracy boost
>>51965223
Nova damage is burst damage. If your party's life depends on finishing off that dire skunk ape this turn, who's the better bet, the guy who has 2 attacks that he can add 10d8 to if one hits, or the guy with one attack that can add 4d8 three times (if he survives that long)?
Of course, this is a niche scenario. Twice as bright half as long, etc. Clerics burn much longer than twice as long.
>>
>>51965003
>Well, not that dude, but I personally don't like PAM because it invalidates TWF
TWF invalidates itself just fine. The reach isn't a positive until you have PAM's OA.

Finally, consider what your attacks look like if you just raise stength and use a greatsword instead. PAM is ok. TF can get crazy sometimes. TWF is the problem. And sometimes the cominations look overpowered. Maybe just break up the combos.
>>
>>51965244
The oversight of an action was a fuck up on our side, sure.
Also, he didn't have PAM, but he did have a Sun Blade and it was against an undead enemy.

That's still a fucking shitton of damage however, and the boss wasn't alone.
It was him, another major badguy and 12 vampires in a single room.
>>
Another thing for the "muh brokem PAM tunnel combo" crowd
Remember when they officially ruled that the Warcaster "you can cast a spell when you have a chance to make an attack of opportunity" was incompatible with the "Get an attack of opportunity when something enters your reach"? The RAW is probably the same for TF. PAM "reaction attack upon entering reach" is separate for "you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction"
...so the infinite kobolds need to run PAST the fighter's reach.
>>
>>51965141
Yes, they can miss, I admit that. But they only need to disengage and the mill keeps on grinding. It will still disable at least one melee opponent about 50% of the time while simultaneously damaging them.
>>
>>51965256
Tempest it is then. Was already a fan of it when reading about it from before.

Though, forgive me if I am retarded, but wouldn't the multiclass effectively get the same casting level?
I might just be retarded, never multiclassed before in 5e and I am not sure if I am remembering how to calculate that shit correctly.
>>
>>51965291
Then you have a case of a character specifically built to destroy a certain kind of enemy. Celestial Paladin with Sun Blade clearly screams "I WILL OBLITERATE ALL UNDEAD AND FIENDS" to me.
>>
>>51965319
And two feats and a fighting style to enable that makes for a broken and unbalanced build?

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe that this is considered unacceptable.
>>
>>51965358
Well aye, the point being though is that it wouldn't get any better for the party if he would've had popped the aasimar ability beforehand, would've just shrekt the boss even harder and actually killed him in a single round.

I have nothing against races that gives boons and tools that the class doesn't have, but the races that just adds upon something that a class already is renowned to be strong at is where my party and I start to get antsy.

As I said though, that's just how we play it, which is why I won't choose a fallen aasimar.
Though since I'll go the route of warlock into cleric, I'll probably be more interested in races that'd have either str + wis or something like that.
>>
>>51965314
While not a proponent of the PAW is broken crowd, I call bullshit on that. PAM specifically says the reaction attacks are attacks of opportunity. The warcaster scenario is about how you aren't using the polearm as part of the AoO as the spellcasting replaces the weapon attack.
>>
>>51965417
PAM*, guess I have cats on the brain.
>>
>>51965342
As a note before I get technical, Warlock has a unique casting system, so your spell access is the exact same as a Warlock X and Cleric Y but you have access to both, and can cast either class' spells with the other's slots.

When you multiclass and get the spellcasting feature multiple times, your spell slots are determined by [Full Caster levels + Half-Caster levels / 2 + Third-Caster levels / 3] on the same table as a normal full caster. However, your spells known are equivalent to what a member of the sole class would know with those levels. A Cleric 10 / Wizard 7 would have the same spell slots as a level 17 wizard, but could only learn and prepare spells as a level 7 wizard.

Warlock is easier to manage because Pact Magic is a different system. You have your level 3 Warlock slots that recharge on short rest, and your level X Cleric slots that recharge on a long rest, just like a straight Cleric X.
>>
>>51965472
Ah, yeah that makes sense, thanks for the clarification on how it works in 5e.

You've given me great info, thanks for the help!
>>
Newbie question - I've just gained my first true magic item, a ring imbued with a once-per-long-rest spell charge. When using the ring, I don't need to fulfil the V/S/M requirements, just the time spent, correct?
>>
How powerful is this weapon for a level 4 Barbarian?

Tooth Ache (The "blade" is a sharpened dragon tooth)
+1 Greataxe
Grants access to the Charger Feat. If thrown as an action, it will boomerang back to the wielder's hand at the start of their next turn.

Maybe it should give a special action instead of just granting the Charger feat? Is the boomerang useful at all? I dunno.

I'm okay at making rando magic items but I'm terrible at designing weapons.
>>
>>51965412
>races that'd have either str + wis
Like fallen aasimars? Hahaha
There's hill dwarves and I guess firbolgs too, but they will take a lot more justification and hand-waving to fit this fiendlock/tempest cleric concept than a fallen aasimar, in my opinion. Can I just bring up again how weird you reasoning is? You're totally cool with multiclassing some bizarre concept just to gain more slots and AC, essentially "minmaxing", when you could just be a pure warlock fallen aasimar, which is a brilliantly perfect fit both for fluff and mechanics. And wouldn't be broken at all.
>>
>>51965376
But the thing is that it doesn't use resources and there is no save. 50% is a fair estimation, but in reality it's usually much higher.
A smart party can abuse that, having Misty Step always prepared for a caster (that they should anyway have), allowing them to move from harm's way if needed while the PAM just keeps them safe. The PAM can then attack opponents with their reach and move next to the caster at the end of turn, (And god fucking ass if they have Tunnel Fighter, allowing them to ALSO attack every time the caster is attacked), rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Well, it is really just a matter of taste. I don't like the potential abuse of PAM, so I would steer clear from it altogether. It's not like Polearms aren't good enough without it.
>>
>>51965556
Oh yeah, guy who was encouraging the Cleric multiclass build here.
Take everything I said with a grain of salt, I just like theorycrafting shit. It is broken and not intended to be used that way. They explicitly say UA is not balanced for multiclassing.
So, you know. Keep that in mind if you're asking your GM about using it.
>>
>>51965557
Unless any of the criteria of >>51964807 is met. A lot of these arguments against this build assume that all enemies are melee-focused and lack any method or desire to avoid the PAM.
>>
>>51964998
>For starters, they're not going to want to use that all the fucking time, because it betrays their celestial heritage and draws a big fucking target on their heads for anyone interested in slave trade or just killing celestials in general.
That is so far from a legitimate concern that it's kind of mindblowing.
>>
>>51965524
Ask your DM. I would rule that you at least need to be able to move your hand or speak a command word to activate it, depending on the ring's ability.
I don't think someone gagged and bound should be able to activate their magic ring unless it's specified.
I can't see anything specific to rings in the DMG.
>>
>>51965615
>you at least need to be able to move your hand or speak a command word
Yeah, I figured it'd be a physical action to activate due to the nature of it; it's essentially just a ring of misty step, so it'd make sense to be non-verbal for a Thief or Rogue to use.
>>
>>51965551
First thing, if it gives a feat, it should require attunement. Yeah, Charger is something most people won't pick anyway, but still. The boomerang effect is useful, considering most barbarians ranged options are measly 1d6 damage thrown weapons. You should establish a range, though, probably 20/60ft. You could word it like this:

>While attuned to this magic greataxe, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls and the benefits of the Charger feat, which can only be used with this weapon. Additionally, you can use an action to throw it with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet.
>>
>>51965556
What I am basically creating is a bladelock that doesn't outright suck.
Also, dwarves definitely wouldn't be more "hand-wavey" compared to fallen aasimar in a group of otherwise core races.

>>51965590
Our DM already greenlit a Lore Master wizard in the party. He's cool with UA shit, and this build definitely wouldn't be exactly OP, would be somewhat on par as a Sorcadin or Warlock+paladin.

I honestly really like the idea of this build, since I'm getting cultist vibes off of it. Might bring it in as a big bad in an upcoming campaign I'm building.
>>
>>51965524
Would point out that usually magic items run on a recharge at sunrise mechanic rather than per short rest.
>>
>>51964030
Wait, what problem do people have with Inquisitive Rogues?

It seems like a cool, well-rounded archetype. Good for combat, good out of combat.
>>
File: C4MLPaiW8AATJiu.jpg (86KB, 799x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C4MLPaiW8AATJiu.jpg
86KB, 799x1200px
>>51965679
>not shouting "MISTY STEPPU" when you sneak up behind someone to cut them in half

That sounds good to me - ring conjures a mist orb than you can throw and jaunt to, like it was Dishonoured or something
>>
Added a new monastic tradition, Drunken Master.

I'd appreciate if someone would give critique on any of them, if they spark an interest of any kind.
>>
>>51965765
To be honest, I'd talked to my DM about getting an item with a similar ability (I was offered this one by my fence for a fair chunk of gold), and my initial idea was like the Monk's shadow step ability.
>>
>>51965681

Honestly, I'm wondering whether I should give this Barb a weapon at all. She's already head-and-shoulders the combat specialist of the group, and during talky bits she just kinda sits around and durrs. Not because the player is bad, but because the character is dumb as a rock (6 INT) and she thinks that means she shouldn't contribute.

I'd like to give her something to boost her out-of-combat/roleplaying experience, but I just can't think of anything.
>>
>>51965700
B-but the new invocations make it so bladelocks can be good. And you only get more invocations by staying in the class. If you get decent Str, which you can with those stats, by level 5 you can have Thirsting Blade, Mace of Dispater, and I'd suggest Cloak of Baalzebul because it's just that cool, but there's Improved Pact Weapon if you'd prefer that. So you can have 2 attacks of 1d6 + Str + possibly 6d8, and knocking people prone for advantage on your second attack. Plus you get to punish creatures that stay around you with some poison damage. Oh and the Blessing to ger some temp HP is nice too.
>>
>>51965134
Your party's paladin has action surge and/or you Surprised the BBEG with a paladin. Your bbeg was a chump. Your party is an outlier.
>>
>>51965857
You know how I got my fighter/barb to roleplay more? I gave him a sentient weapon. It could be evil, funny, self-righteous, just make sure it has some fun quirk.
>>
>>51965863
I'll still pick up Mace of Dispater and CLoak of Baalzebul, and then throw extra casting from Cleric on top of that with better armor.

>>51965869
I mean, as I stated before, you can pull how many "BUT IT'S NOT OP" examples you want to, it's not going to change the mind of neither me nor my party so, as I stated before aswell, you might aswell do something more productive with your time instead of throwing autistic screeching at my posts.

I'm usually calm dude but what the fuck. Literally told you like half an hour ago that it's just how my party is and how I am since we come from the 3e era, but you just keep going and it's not going to change anything.
>>
>>51965907
>Aasimar is OP.
>We don't follow the rules.
>My feelings are indisputable proof.
Nothing else to do but poke your sensitive ass right now.
>>
Are there any rules against a spellcaster using a shield? I'm planning on picking up medium armor feat for my Warlock and I figure an extra +2 AC would be sweet
>>
>>51966041
>We don't follow the rules.
I mean, feel free to point out where that came up.

>My feelings are indisputable proof.
No, they're the reason why we're not going to play fallen aasimar, you weaponized bagel.
As stated on numerous occasions before, nothing you ever say will change that.

"BUT I'M JUST TROLLING HUUUUUUUUUUH"
Yeah, naw, you're just violently buttblasted that I don't want to play one of the snowflake races you seem to love.

I'll stick to my dwarf instead of top edge, fallen god-kin that has a massive damage boost on a day-long cooldown, thanks.
>>
>>51966050
You can't cast in armor you aren't proficient in. If you're proficient with shields, go ahead and use one. Just remember you need a free hand.
>>
>>51966073
>feel free to point out where that came up
Transformation using an action, so that it needs to be set up? This was already mentioned.

There's more than one anon talking to you, friendo. I'm not the one you responded to this time, but since I responded to you a lot earlier I will assume what you said was generally directed at me. I don't even like Aasimar, haven't played one and most likely never will, I honestly just don't understand you and your group, since you're not ok with a big damage boost once per day, but are totally cool with an even bigger damage boost in the shape of more spell slots to smite with.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, you're going to play whatever you want and your DM allows, but it really intrigued me.
>>
>>51966050
You need proficiency with a shield to gain any benefit from it. Warlock does not have shield proficiency by default: You need to get it from some other source, such as dipping a level into a class which gives you shield profiency (fighter, cleric, druid, etc)

The newly-released Hexblade paton also grants shield profiency
>>
>>51966176
>Transformation using an action, so that it needs to be set up? This was already mentioned.
In the example in question, we had one action before we jumped down into the murderpit. Hence why our sorcerer had a twinned haste up. Which means that if he would have played your beloved fallen aasimar, he would've had it up.

And you are clearly missing the fucking point, AGAIN.
I'm not against classes being powerful, what I am against is stacking that power with another damage cooldown that is far more powerful than 80% of the buff spells at lvl 10 just because you get it from a snowflake race that has been overpowered in every iteration of D&D it has been in.

>In the end, it doesn't really matter
Well clearly it does fucking matter since you're campaigning for the fucking race along with the other anon, despite me literally typing out on numerous occasions that nothing will sway me or my group on that. What the actual, autistic FUCK.
>>
>>51966196
That's what the feat is for anon.
>>
>>51966176
>>51966073
Oh fuck, and I just realized I totally fucked up when I did the math too, because their extra damage is just ONCE PER TURN. So you can take 30 points out of that average damage.
>>
>>51965291
>The oversight of an action was a fuck up on our side, sure.
>>51966073
>I mean, feel free to point out where that came up
Is that not you then?

I thought you were gonna play half orc. I'm the guy who's been trying to convince you it's ok to play what you asked to play for the last several days, not the guy trying to convince you to play some other race or some shitty multiclass. But whatever. You have great stats. Whatever you do will work fine. You could be a monk/paladin. It really doesn't matter.
>>
File: DexPlusTwoIntPlusOne.jpg (45KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
DexPlusTwoIntPlusOne.jpg
45KB, 500x687px
Can someone post the Boondocks "read, nigga, read!" picture with the player's handbook? Thanks!

In exchange, I post this.
>>
File: 1459076336185.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1459076336185.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>51966275

all I did was google 'read nigga read phb'
>>
>>51966269
No that was me, though in my current feverish state, I typed "our" instead of "my" and I didn't even notice it until now. Either way, he would've had the buff up when jumping down, it's just that I personally overlooked the action required when checking out Fallen Aasimar.

And I most likely will play a half orc, never been fond of dwarves and haven't got any other races that seem fun. And I'll most likely go warlock/cleric since it taps into this cultist-like character I've been trying to make for a while.

Just gets my jimmies rustled when I have the shittiest cold of my life and I have someone trying to campaign Fallen Aasimar of all things despite me shooting that down from the get go.

>>51966257
Out of what average damage?
>>
>>51966309
Well, cleric's good for a lot of good things. Not as good at swinging the mace around is all.
>>
>>51966309
This one: >>51965244

Look dude, I'm honestly not trying to stress you out, just to have a discussion. I enjoy talking things through and trying to convince people, sorry if it bothered you that much. Oh and if you do go half-orc, that would be pretty cool too. There's some great roleplay potential in a Menacing half-orc with the Cloak of Baalzebul.

Aasimar is still not as powerful as you think. All they get from the damage boost is essentially 30-40 extra damage spread out through a whole encounter, and one extra thing that won't really imbalance the game.
>>
>>51966460
I'll still be swinging the mace around, just less mad nova damage and a bit more overall damage, aswell as some casting capabilities so I don't have to share smite and spells on my two spellslots until lvl 11.

>>51966472
>Oh and if you do go half-orc, that would be pretty cool too. There's some great roleplay potential in a Menacing half-orc with the Cloak of Baalzebul.
Yeah I really liked that idea.

And I know how powerful fallen aasimars are, just an extra 10 damage or so in a round is quite a lot since it's essentially free damage if prebuffed.
Since most of what my party and I have played is Pathfinder, just hearing the word aasimar kinda makes me recoil. I've just never been a fan of special snowflake type races. In fact, I've only ever played one tiefling in the 15 years I've been roleplaying, the rest have been core races.

And the tiefling was on an abyssal bloodline Bloodrager back in Pathfinder.
>>
I've been talking with one of my players on what happens next with regards to his GOO patron.
>As he becomes more powerful he has a recurring dream of himself eating and gorging himself on a corpse of something that doesn't look like it should exist
>Finally he has a dream that whatever he just ate explodes it's way out of his body
>He unintentionally destroyed and created the GOO he was worshipping, still makes sense because time doesn't apply the same to cosmic beings
>When he woke up after the final dream he found that his book of shadows was blank and he lost all of his eldritch invocations
We're discussing on what to do next, whether he should get his powers back by trying to get the attention of the GOO he just created, or whether he would view this as a betrayal and seek a more powerful patron for revenge.

Your thoughts, /5eg/?
>>
Do you think it's strange you can only make one AoO? Like, if you have two enemies in your reach and they both move out of it, why shouldn't you be able to punish both?
>>
Have people considered not playing optimally?
>>
>>51966628
You can make only one Reaction per round. An Attack of Opportunity is a Reaction.
>>
>>51966650
I know that, I think it's strange that an AoO is a reaction bound to the one per round rule.
>>
>>51966543
I dunno man, can't really understand your trauma since all my experience with D&D comes from 5e. Which might also explain why I have no problem with snowflake races, even more when I myself have only played like 3 races for more than one session each - tiefling, goliath, but mostly my rogue halfling in a campaign that came to a halt by level 6 and that I'm still waiting for the DM to get his shit back together and pick up the game again.

Most of my experience with races comes from other players while I'm DMing, and honestly it's kind of a relief when my players don't bring yet another fucking red-haired half-elf to the table.
>>
File: kos parasite.jpg (520KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kos parasite.jpg
520KB, 1920x1080px
>>51966621
Make him perform a reenactment of his dream where he should ritualistically consume flesh of some aberrant creature.
Then make some (Con?) rolls or fudge them and allow him to ascend to a higher state of being.
If that's too much, force him to wear a weighty, odd-looking metal contraption on his head that acts as an antenna between him and the GOO. And without it, he is powerless.
>>
has anyone here playtested the UA artificer?
it has some neat ideas but it doesn't really seem that it would feel like being an inventor
>>
File: p_1.png (491KB, 1600x400px) Image search: [Google]
p_1.png
491KB, 1600x400px
>>51966631
I do it all the time. Our randomly-assigned pre-made character campaign with high-lethality and non-hero point array was one of the best ones. It also gave the munchkins the desire to make their characters great with leveling so they were really into it.

Also, aesthetics and personification of character >> numbers

Although it's still fun to discuss balance, even if it leads technically nowhere.
>>
>>51966628
>>51966679
To have a balanced action economy.

Unless specified otherwise, for each turn, you have one action, one bonus action and one reaction that you can spend.

Certain options create new bonus actions you can take, or turn certain actions into bonus actions, or allow you to take unique reactions, or make some types of actions require no action.

It's not really grounded in realism, it's more of a balance thing that you can override by being a Fighter, Paladin or Ranger and taking the Tunnel Fighter fighting style. It's balanced, too. You spend your potentially only fighting style slot and a bonus action to be able to make more than one opportunity attack on that turn. It only becomes powerful when you combine it with two feats - but even then, it's still a niche build.

>tl;dr
Only one opportunity attack per turn to balance the action economy, unless you take the right options that allow you to circumvent that.
>>
>>51966631
It's fun if by playing unoptimally you still have something unique going for your build.
It's not fun if you're just doing something worse than others. Like not picking eldritch blast + agonizing invocation as a warlock.
>>
Elfsbane

Cursed Longsword

Vicious -- Extra 7 damage on a critical hit

Elfkiller -- 3d6 bonus damage on hit vs. Elves and Half-Elves

Warning -- Warns the user if elves are near.

Cursed-- When the sword is first touched, the wielder must make a Wisdom saving throw. If they fail, they gain the flaw "Elves and their spawn are disgusting vermin that must be killed, wherever and whenever they are found." If successful, they must make the saving throw again every 8 hours until they discard the blade or fail the saving throw.
>>
>>51966679
For the same reason the number of attacks you can make in a turn is limited. Rounds represent a few seconds of combat, with each turn in a round happening pretty much simultaneously. While you're busy swinging at Guy A, Guy B is dashing off.
>>
>>51966822
Go ahead if elves have a minor or antagonistic presence in your campaign.
It's a huge maybe if elves have a rather large presence and aren't antagonistic in your campaign.
Absolutely not if an important NPC or a character in the party is at least partially elven.
>>
>>51966813
Would you be mad if I made a fey pact warlock that picked invocations for utility and social shit?
>>
>>51964066
Pretty sure it's leather armor with rings embedded in it. D&D is not historical, or realistic, nor is it trying to be (unless you try to do something insane like drawing more than one weapon per 6 seconds).
>>
File: BLOOD NOW.jpg (57KB, 600x517px) Image search: [Google]
BLOOD NOW.jpg
57KB, 600x517px
>>51966822
THIS PLEASES ME
>>
>>51966723
It's all about flavor and fluff. The artificer player in my game is constantly tinkering on stuff and making the item he gets for the next level.
>>
>>51966543
You'll do less damage when you don't smite and have a lot of temptation, and justification, for casting spells instead of swinging it around as often. Pure warlock will probably use prebattle buffs and rarely smite before 10 too though.
>>
>>51966631
Yes but most of those people don't sperg out here talking about "builds" and other things that are anathema to having a good time with other people.
>>
>>51966875
No, why? Warlock pacts are pretty close in terms of power level save for hexblade, which is not only better at swinging swords, but also better at chucking eldurr blasts AND has better armour.
>>
>>51966772
How did you pre-make the characters?
>>
>>51966822
Seems like a great thing for a minor villain. The party defeats them and tries to loot the sword, bam, conflict.
>>
>>51966822
>Cursed
>flaw
What did he mean by this?
>>
So I have a magic item in the works for a warlock, has to be water based and allows the user to speak Aquan. Forgotten Realms setting and nowhere near the ocean at the time so that's more for flavor than anything.

Was thinking once a day thunderwave but instead of damage medium sized creatures have disadvantage and make it a blast of water. Got any ideas? Level 3 party.
>>
So I'm playing a fiendish pact of chain warlock with some heavy cultist vibes. We're starting at level three and I'm picking up hex, hellish rebuke, darkness, and suggestion. Along with these, I have shield of faith, guidance, and thautmaturgy from the Magic Initiate feat. The cantrips I have now are eldritch blast and minor illusion, but I was thinking about picking up green-flame blade for some melee power if an enemy comes to close. Can a dagger combined with green-flame blade, armor of agathys, and a darkness+devil's sight combo give me solid defense if I get pulled into melee range?
>>
>>51966716
This is a pretty good idea, but blending those two ideas together might be cool
>Performs a recreation of the dream
>He ascends to a higher form of existence
>He can constrain his form to that of a human if he wears some crude eldritch sigil that he straps to his body (so he can still interact with the party and others)
Maybe he'll recreate the dream with a piece of strange umbilical cord he finds
>>
>>51966969
Why use dagger over rapier if you're wanna cast GFB? IIRC you don't get a second attack with a second offhand dagger in that case.
>>
File: DUDE ELDRITCH TRUTH LMAO.png (591KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE ELDRITCH TRUTH LMAO.png
591KB, 530x530px
>>51966995
>(so he can still interact with the party and others)
Well naturally, I really should've included that as well.
>Maybe he'll recreate the dream with a piece of strange umbilical cord he finds
Noice.
>>
Magic weapon: Whip / chain that can extend to a reach of up to 30 ft. and do 3d6 thunder damage in 5 ft. burst up to 6 times a day, recovers 1d4+2 charges at dawn. Finesse.

Good or lame?
>>
>>51966958
Hum... It might be a little more powerful than you want, but there are such spells as Tidal Wave and Wall of Water.
>>
>>51966996
>chain warlock
>rapier

*raised eyebrow*
>>
>>51964557
Why nerf martials when you could buff the worse form of martials like non PAM 1h+Shield, dual wielding, and the non existent 1h+nothing.
>>
File: 104115.jpg (35KB, 400x511px) Image search: [Google]
104115.jpg
35KB, 400x511px
>>51966996
See
>>51967054
>>
How does a PC survive getting hit by a giant's greataxe? I was running SKT and wasn't exactly sure how to describe what happened when someone got axed by a frost giant.
>>
>>51967054
Sorry I'm fucking blind.
Use a sickle then, sickles are sick. Top-tier cultist material.
>>
>>51967078
Doesn't have to be a blade hit. Maybe they got hit on the side or parried the blow but the force was enough to hurt them anyway.
>>
>>51967061
Shield fighters are fine. Knocking prone all day.
>>
>>51967039
Drop the finesse quality and it's fine.
>>
>>51967061
What annoys me the most is that 1+nothing would actually be the most realistic way to play a martial, maybe rapier + dagger for finesse.

Lugging a shield should impose some kind of disadvantage, they are really sucky to carry in real life. Same with heavy weapons, especially polearms.
>>
>>51967078
Could be a partial hit, dodge most of it but the edge still gets you.

There are more high fantasy options
>>
>>51967104
Would you be excited to use it?
>>
>>51966723
In the game I play the DM gives him a lot of leeway with building stuff. It's a higher tech setting, so he's basically the most valuable party member. His gun isn't that bad. Basically ranged sneak attack with free ammo.
>>
>>51967080
Sickles aren't light weapons and it would essentially be choosing 1d4-2 instead of 1d4+2 with the dagger. Flavor-wise I agree with you, but from a numbers stand point, I disagree.
>>
Since we're talking magical weapons, what about this one:

>Thunder Brand Warhammer

This magical warhammer is always softly humming an indistinguishable melody. Whenever it is used to strike a foe, its wielder hears a fragment of an ancient song - all other creatures hear a loud clang.

While attuned to it, you can use an action to cause your voice to carry clearly for up to 500 feet until the end of your next turn. When you hit with an attack using this magic warhammer, the target takes an extra 1d8 thunder damage.

If you hit the same creature at least twice on your turn, it must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or become stunned until the end of your next turn. If you roll a 20 on the attack roll, the saving throw DC increases by 5 and the creature is deafened for 1 minute.
>>
>>51967078
50 meat points.
>>
>>51967189
Sickles ARE light, they're just not finesse.
>>
>>51967195
The two hits for stunned is not good, be careful with the d8 Thunder cause that means he is basically critting each attack if it were a normal warhammer.

I like the faux thaumaturgy, maybe the hum gets louder during stormy weather, and when you roll a 20 the enemy is deafened.
>>
>get staff of defense
>notice that I can't actually cast the spells
Would it be greedy to hold onto it anyways as a glorified shield? +1 AC is +1 AC
>>
>>51966917
I'll have a lot more slots to smite with however so my damage output will be less nova-y and higher overall damage.

Besides, only having two spellslots feels pretty meh.
>>
>>51967211
s'what I meant. I need me a finesse weapon
>>
>>51967195
OP trash, make it do 1d8 Thunder on a crit and minor thaumatury any other time
>>
>>51967246
>>51967277
Is the extra damage too much? I like the idea of extra damage on crits, though. What if I gave it a +1 bonus instead?

>The two hits for stunned is not good
I mean the wielder has to hit twice to trigger it and the DC is pretty low, even if there's no limit on how many times you can do it. Did you mean it is not good as in not useful enough?
>>
>>51967249

If no one else can cast it, why not?
>>
>>51967427
DC is so low you'll be rolling a lot of extra dice that do nothing. Even though they need to hit twice, that'll happen a lot, the way the system is balanced.
>>
>>51967427
>>51967501
I agree it will slow the game up, focus on things that will happen fewer times like crits or a limited spell cast.
>>
>>51967559
>>51967501
Yes, I was considering that. I mean, most lower CR creatures have anywhere up to +3 Con, which means they still fail some of the time, but you're right, mostly I'd be rolling for nothing. I didn't wanted to use charges, because that is more bookkeeping, but I don't know how else to add this in a way that is both meaningful and yet not broken.
>>
>>51967427
What I would do is keep the stun ability, but give the hammer 2 daily charges, say, to trigger it when you like on-hit. Then you can increase the DC to 15.

If you like the d8 thunder damage, just limit it to the first hit per turn. Still a good bonus, and a flavorful damage type, but doesn't run away with itself with extra attacks.
If you liked the idea of successive strikes being more powerful because of the song, you could make it add d8 damage on each consecutive hit within a turn. (1st hit base damage, 2nd +d8, 3rd +2d8, 4th +3d8) Gets a bit mad at high level fighter, but by the time you're attacking 3 or 4 times per turn, you could be doing so many other things it's honestly not overpowered.
>>
>>51967675
>you could make it add d8 damage on each consecutive hit within a turn
Oh, that is good! The party fighter already has his weapon, so this one is intended for the sword and board paladin. Level 9, by the way. And I really didn't wanted to use charges, but I guess there's no other way around it...
>>
>>51967788
He will have insane crits if he smites - I hope you've got lots of d8s!
>>
I'd probably do +X thunder/lightning damage rather than another roll for it. 1 because that's worth at least 50000 gold if not more and 2 because rolling more is annoying.
>>
>>51967887
>>51967947
Roll20 so no issue there, it can just be added to the weapon's roll with everything else.
>>
>>51966851
>>51966942

I was thinking of having the sword underneath a planned shrine to a goddess. The presence of the sword (a relic of Lloth) is desecrating the ground and making it impossible to consecrate.

There are two half-elves in the party. So yeah, if they're dumbos and just grab the evil-looking sword that's impaling an elven corpse--conflict. But they could use it as a trap to lure out the hidden Drow cultists in the city who would love to recover one of their sacred artifacts.
>>
I'm going to be running section of a campaign where the party (level 5) is traveling through the shadowfell, what are some interesting things for them to run into?

So far I'm thinking of:

>Shadow Elves (potentially not hostile)
>Shadows
>Basilisk
>Varghoulles
>Ghosts
But I'm not sure what else to use. I'm trying to set this place up as kind of a large regional dungeon so I'm looking for variety and weird stuff. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>51968022
http://imgur.com/gallery/rSXLV

Some random homebrew I saved a while back.
Has some interesting stuff in it if you're looking for shit that'll spook your players.
>>
>>51966900
>>51966822
Pelin-el, please go.

Elves are functional and contributing members of society.
>>
>>51968096
Nice try, elf.
Go away.
>>
>>51964030
I marked Loremaster thinking it was asking the favourite and just saw the "least" after.
t. Loremaster player
>>
Ok, changed the wording to this:

>When you hit a second attack on your turn using this magic warhammer, it deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage, or an extra 2d8 if you hit with a third attack.

>This weapon has 3 charges. If you hit the same creature at least twice on your turn, you can expend one of its charges and force it to make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become stunned until the end of your next turn. If you rolled a 20 on either of the attack rolls, the saving throw DC becomes 18 (20?) and the creature is deafened for 1 minute.

Idea was to make it so it still works with haste, but not so much with stuff like Action Surge, so no stacking after the 3rd hit.
>>
>>51966628
Keep in mind an entire round of combat is supposed to represent about 6 seconds of in-game time.
>>
>>51968205
Good call on limiting action surge, I hadn't thought of that.
I wouldn't worry about the extra DC on a crit, but purely for brevity. It's not a problem at all.
>>
>>51964796
>Action Disengage
>move out of range
>Bonus Action to enter the stance again
try harder faggot
5ft cucks literally can't harm this fighter

>>51964719
Your racial stats are wrong. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>51967106
bladesingers and monks already REEEEE at having to lug a shield or a polearm

dex guys in general REEEEE at having to lug a polearm

we don't really need more than 2 + the ranks of the nonproficient being penalized about such things.
>>
>>51964587
There's nothing "situational" about PAM, its just universally good in any situation that melee is workable.

>>51964739
That's not situational, that's just called melee.

>>51964786
Again, ANYTHING (other than the rare 15' reach monsters) that hoses PAM users hoses other melee guys. Nothing about it is situational.
>>
>>51967106
That's DM fiat. If your life was a bunch of life an death encounters every day then you would carry a shield everywhere, or you would run away, and ask why you're cursed.

If they don't get into combat in civilized areas, which means you can't assfuck them with thieves and shit all the time, and guards, and civil folk bug them, and refuse service while they're armed to the teeth then you can get them to act normally.
Again, this means you can't screw them over every session in town, and the guards have to actually be worth a damn to protect them.
>>
So I'm running a Warlock in a party with a Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, and Fighter. I can't think of a decent 3rd cantrip to take (level 5) over Friends. Any suggestions?

Current spell list: Shillelagh (Tome), Green Flame Blade (Tome), Spare the dying (Tome), Comprehend Languages (Ritual, Tome) Find Familiar (Ritual, Tome), EB, Mage hand, Friends, Hex, Charm Person, Witchbolt, Mirror Image, Suggestion, Dispel Magic.
>>
>>51968383
If I was on a planet ABSOLUTELY SWARMING with 100 different kinds of mutants, aliens, demons, death cultists, and things in general whose questionable ecological niche is 'eats people' or whose profession is 'murders people', I would definitely want heavily armed adventurers at my inn for protection.
>>
>>51968422
Booming Blade
>>
So would anyone be interested in a guide to how 5e player options interact with When Armies Clash? I'm wanting to run a mass combat campaign and think it'll be a useful asset for my players.

I was thinking it'd be a chart that shows what spells and abilities work differently and against what targets.

for example, PAM barely does anything in it but polearms are still good for units
>>
>>51968498
>ass combat
>>
>>51968458
But doesn't that affect allies as well?
>>
>>51967106
>fight things solo or in a group of 2-4 others for a living
>generally be one of two, maybe three people actually in melee
>not wanting a shield
Life in D&D settings is not like life in a real world medieval military where you're marching around for two years and only get into one battle.
>>
>>51968022
The Shadowfell to me is like Silent Hill.
>>
>>51967106
HAHAHAHAHAH
>>
File: 1484557977039.jpg (57KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484557977039.jpg
57KB, 720x960px
have you ever DM ed a classless game ?

i am thinking about running one, me and 5 players, everybody classless, they just get stats at lvl 4 and so on..

besides that, the world will be filled with warriors and wizards, who will teach them techniques.. So they can "build" their own build this way

my goal is fun, not balance
>>
File: 1330942886379.jpg (89KB, 640x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1330942886379.jpg
89KB, 640x1199px
>>51968022
A Shadow Dragon
Cloakers
Darkmantles
Myconids
A Banderhobb
Shadow Mastiffs
>>
>>51968606
There are entire systems dedicated to this that would likely be less clunky. I'd go to one of those if I wanted to run something classless.
>>
>>51968022
A vampire that isn't a main villain. Just a chill dude who has thrall for blood sucking and doesn't need more.

A lone battle hardened paladin trying to find an exit. May have gone crazy and thinks everything they find is evil.

A revnant was created when an evil fighter fell from a cliff. He has sworn vengeance against that cliff and will not rest until he sees it crumble. He will give his sword if the adventurers help him destroy the cliff
>>
>>51968022
A door out, because the Shadowfell is gay.
>>
>>51968606
Try not running DnD.
>>
>>51968606
So what you should do is add a couple dozen feats, at every level they pick a new feat, this could be, proficiency with certain weapons, level 1 spell casting and a choice of a few spells.

It would take a ton of work, but you need to fake class features and make it so you can mash together abilities. Like at level 1 you can select three "feats":

Proficiency with light armor, proficiency with simple weapons, proficiency in axes.

You could also choose:

Two cantrips, proficiency in spell level 1, two spells.

You would need to do a full overhaul of the class system and how someone levels up.
>>
>>51966969
If you're a spellcaster and someone's in melee with you, hitting it with a weapon is never the best option, even if it's GFB. Cast an area spell or some other spell that doesn't require an attack roll, or disengage, or simply hit them point-blank with Eldritch Blast knowing that one or two of the beams will probably hit anyway (and knock them back if you have that invocation.) If you hadn't already picked your Magic Initiate cantrips I'd tell you to get Shocking Grasp.
>>
So, one of my players wants to make a rogue for our next game. Is there anything that should be fixed about the class?
>>
>>51968859
Rogues are pretty solid, albeit squishy.
Also, you'll preferrably want to talk your group into setting up more ambushes to maximize your effectiveness.
>>
Is good natured hill billy, folk hero chaos sorc a good character concept? I fee like it'd be a little silly but fun for character growth and stuff.
>>
>>51968859
Nothing that isn't inherent to the concept of the rogue. Just sit the player down and remind him that the rogue is usually the first PC to die, and it's mostly because he's tempted to split the party and go out alone.
>>
>>51968383
>>51968530
True. I kind of forgot that dungeon crawling is basically the usual way to feed yourself, and then there's those pesky brigands and goblins at every turn.

So yeah, shield isn't that unreasonable at that point, but lugging them around would still suck. I would probably give disadvantage to climbing checks and the ilk, but that is on me. The system should remind the DM of those things, but it's on the DM, in the end.
>>
>>51967246
Thats not unheard of HotDQ gives up a +2 greatsword that does and additional 2d6 damage every hit.
>>
>>51965788
No one?

I know there's bound to be mistakes I can be made fun of, bring it!
>>
>>51968993
Speaking of HotDQ, holy shit those end game magical items are not balanced. The Kensei monk (who uses a greatsword) in my party is salivating over getting a very strong magical weapon, +1 to all his melee attacks, and the potential to hit 25 AC from the dragon mask. Since none of the party has a really good use for any of those items, we gave it all to him. He is probably as strong as the rest of the party now.
>>
>>51968930
It sounds like it would be annoying to the other players and also kind of a dead-end as far as character development goes. Cut the regional stereotype and funny accent and just make him a farm boy who doesn't know anything about the adventuring life but can't go back home because he causes accidents.
>>
>>51969050
Well, uh, both are legendary items, and the party isn't really supposed to get the mask, though they still can. How would he get 25 AC with the dragon mask? That would require 20s in Dexterity Wisdom, AND Charisma, which no single character should be able to achieve.

Besides, both items can have drawbacks, even if they're not listed in their properties. Hazirawn is evil, as such it'll goad its wielder into doing evil acts, and sometimes will try to dominate them by forcing a Charisma save. I also added this property to it:
>Unavoidable Harm. If you hit a creature immune to necrotic damage, you take 2d6 necrotic damage instead, and the creature regains the same amount of hit points. If you hit a creature with resistance to necrotic damage, it takes half damage and you take the other half.

As for the mask, you could make it so its bearer slowly gains dragon-like personality traits, such as the dragon sickness from The Hobbit.
>>
>tfw you're a total hack and half your quick NPCs are basically commedia del'arte masks with a dash of Eddings-style stereotypes.
On the hack meter, how bad would it be to make one of my players' potential major contacts Solaufein, the elf himself.
>>
>>51969198
The greatest stories told are usually amalgamations of already existing stories.

It isn't a hack job if you're pulling inspiration from some of the best fantasy litterature.
>>
>>51969170
I'm not the DM, just another player. We rolled for stats (in order) and he did well. He probably won't have 25 AC, but he should be able to hit 23 or 24. Combined with the AC bonus by using an unarmed attack during the attack action and he could easily have 25 regularly.

Over chat this week he acknowledged that this stuff kinda made his character broken and wants to change characters if we (the party) feel like it's cutting into our fun.
>>
>>51969232
>first campaign was HotDQ in league play
>Paladin got the greatsword, then left the game
We beat that shit the hard way. Turns out Shield Master is pretty good in a game full of breath weapons.
>>
>>51969025
I'll give it a quick rundown soon
>>
This is gonna sound really weird, but I need a non-fetish-baity way of saying 'has large breasts' without explicitly drawing focus onto them.

I'm subtly trying to imply that a character is an angel of a fertility Goddess without either sounding like I'm tenting under the table or giving away the fact that this is an extremely important NPC
>>
>>51969373
Short answer, you can't.

Long answer, just say that she's an angel of a fertility goddess and her stature reflects as such.
>>
>>51969373
Expansive tracts of land
>>
>>51969373
Call attention to her exceptional health.
>>
>>51969373
She is of ample feminine character in figure.
>>
>>51969373
Use silly euphemisms or stuffy synonyms to avoid the sexual connotations, and never bring up the trait specifically unless it's absolutely necessary
>>
>>51969373
Call her "rubenesque".
>>
>>51969254
I'm currently a Paladin in HotDQ so it's good to know Shield Master is hella useful.
>>
Is it poor form to design NPCs by building them like PCs if you intend to have them be regularly encountered by the party and grow alongside them?
>>
>>51969469
That's just obese though. Also Rubens very likely had an actual fat fetish.
>>
File: 1428990206849.jpg (89KB, 600x894px) Image search: [Google]
1428990206849.jpg
89KB, 600x894px
>>51969373
If you don't signal that an NPC is significant and players have no reason to pursue them and MAKE them significance, they will be forgotten.
So, either you draw attention to them to imply importance, or you attach something you know will get your players' attention and investigation.
For the former, you need to concede that attention must be drawn; it is an angel for fuck's sakes anyways. Radiatingly healthy, probably beautiful, buxom, full body, knows an awful lot about farming and has been providing advice on the crops, has taken a great interest helping those expecting, successfully delivered babies that turn out exceptional, plays matchmaker...something. If there are consequences to her presence, make them felt to draw the players' attention. If there are no consequences, there's no reason for them to care or the character to be there.
As for the latter, bait them in somehow with weaknesses of the players, or their characters if they get into them. They like funny and quirky shopkeeps? Make her one. One of the players wants a noble marriage? Have a rumor the mysterious smart beautiful girl is a runaway princess. THEN you drop hints like above.
>>
>>51969506
Not in this context, no. It might be easy to cross the line into DMPC.
>>
>>51969517
What's your point? Fertility goddesses should be a little chubby.
>>
>>51969506
I don't think so, I don't see a problem at all using class levels and backgrounds for NPCs, it makes everything easier, and if/when someone picks a fight with them you know what they can do.
>>
>>51969521
This dude has a decent idea, probably has made hundreds of thinly veiled fetish baits so follow his advice.
>>
>>51969025
Elemental Warrior
>air: force
No, nigga. Air is either bludgeoning or thunder. Force is magical energy.
>resistance
Sorcerers have to pay 1sp just for the resistance to a fixed type. 1ki for somewhat flexible resistance + all the other stuff is too much. I'd make the resistance alone cost 1ki
>water: attacks have reach
You're already attacking at range, what Reach even does here?
>earth
I think +2AC is one too much

>blood
what the fuck nigga, fuck bosses amirite? no
>metal
1d12 becomes what?

drunken master
25AC naked monk
no
>you can use improvised weapons and gains absolutely nothing at all for it, when you could just punch them for the same damage or pick the other subclass for 6th level chain lightning

>ragecasting
I'm not ready for this
>>
>>51969560
Thicc is nice but most of my fetishposts wind up more like >>51969071
>>
>>51969548
>Fertility goddesses should be a little chubby.
Yet no representation of classical fertility goddesses is anywhere near "chubby"

Sincerely fuck archaeologists who interpret every find they can't understand as "probably religious", this is the equivalent of medieval doctors decreeing that anything they couldn't diagnose was magic.
>>
>>51969548
>should be a little bit chubby
No, they should have wide hips. Not even remotely the same, unless you're some cave-dwelling mudfuck who can't even grow crops.
>>
>>51969635
>Ishtar
>Not thicc
>>
>>51967078
They got hit by a giant's axe but the player is so fucking powerful that it wasn't enough to kill them and they shrugged off the blow.
>>
>>51969358
>>>51969025
>I'll give it a quick rundown soon
I am gonna need that quick rundown
>>
New thread fellas >>51969730
>>
>>51969232
Don't roll for stats its unbalanced
>>
File: tumblr_o7p030MZW51shsq9jo1_500.gif (1001KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7p030MZW51shsq9jo1_500.gif
1001KB, 500x281px
>>51969592
Hmm. Well, I can change the Air element to thunder, that's easy enough.

>resistance
I can take that away, sure. Maybe add resistance only when you absorb stuff?

>water: attacks have reach
Check the damage of the ranged attack. It's martial arts die + 1. You're missing out on dex bonuses to your damage.

>earth
If the resistances go, I can just turn the AC to 1.

>blood
It goes up from stun to paralysis. Any better ideas? I've been copying ATLA left and right, so maybe Hold Person -type of thing?

>metal
Your martial arts die cannot normally be better than 1d10, so we don't need to think about it

Real answer: Get some Gamescience d14s homeboy

>drunken reed
25 AC naked monk. At 20th level, with 2 20s in statblock. Got any suggestions for fixes

>11
I admit, that is a bad ability at 11th level, true. I will find something better. It sounds like a ribbon, really. Turn the 6th and 11th around maybe?

>ragecasting
I believe your face looked something like
>pic related
>>
>>51968529
No, its one target
>>
>>51969635
>Anon knows better than people with doctorates in the field
bro maybe you could help America figure out healthcare with your expansive knowledge instead
>>
>>51969725
Lore wizard is ok I think, but everyone will change damage to Force anyway, it'll mostly curb exploiting weaknessess
I don't really know how to rate ragecasting stuff

>>51969826
>resistance
just make it like draconic sorcerers really
>water reach
shit nigga, then it's underpowered. Look Sun Soul monk, it does normal damage

>earth
1AC + advantage vs some spells seems good

>metal
I could swear it went up to 1d12 at the last levels. My mistake

>drunken reed
Bounded accuracy is a thing, at least in theory. Give a flat 2AC bonus, it'll work as good at lv3 as it will at lv20.
Other than that, keep posting it, more knowledgeable people will help shaping it up.
>>
>>51969997
The difference between Sun Soul and Elemental Monk ranged attacks is that Sun Soul is less flexible.

Sun Soul requires you to basically either use your whole attack action to blast with it, and then you can use flurry of blows -style bonus action to shoot two more. They're also ranged spell attacks.

Elemental monks make Ranged Martial Arts attacks, meaning you can combo them however you please with normal attacks, and you can even use one as your free martial arts bonus action. Also, Elemental monk has range of 20/60, Sun soul has hard range of 30. A little different beasts, even though similarities may strike you at first. Also, it can do several different damage types, so it's already kind of better there.

Also, there's the thing that they are counted as martial arts attacks, meaning the Fire element's 1d4 damage DOES apply to it.

On one hand, Sorcerers do get the resistance for one hour straight with one sorcery point, where as this damage resistance is explicitly only on for one minute. But on the other hand, Monks get their Ki back every short rest. Yeah, I'll make it work like Sorcerer's.

Can't rate ragecasting? Too random or just kind of hard to specify whether it actually is in any shape or form balanced? The thing is that you can theoretically cast very strong spells with it, if you blast all of your dice and roll really well, but it requires a lot of sacrifices and nothing is guaranteed.
>>
>>51970282
Sun Soul truly is less flexible, but Radiant is a solid damage type, you'll hardly ever run into something that resists it, so it mitigates this.
I didn't pay attention to the distance, but I play mostly on the theatre of the mind, so small range differences rarely come into play. Someone else who plays with grids could give a better opinion.
Ragecasting would require some dice-crunching to know if it's more or less balanced damage-wise and I've been looking at numbers all day, I'm kinda burned up.
If you could add some rough damage estimation in your posts for quick reference it would be easier to rate it.
>>
>>51967250
I'm at a computer, so let's figure this shit out. No disagreement on the way the spell slots feel. Just want to talk about
> higher overall damage.
as it relates to the idea of swinging around that mace of dispater.

Warlock 3/ Cleric 9 -
1d6+Str+2d8 (booming blade) +1d8 (divine strike). Goes up to 3d8/2d8 at 3/14, but you said you weren't playing that long.

Half-orc starts with either 18, 14, 16, 11, 14, 16 or 16, 14, 16, 11, 16, 16, so by that level you have 20 strength if you want it, and 16/16 or 14/18 for your casting stats.

So your attack is +9 to hit for 8.5 mace + 13.5 thunder (22 total) damage, and booming blade's effect (can be 13.5 more).

Straight up warlock 12-
+2 mace of dispater for 1d6+Str+Cha+2 twice, or 1d6+str+cha+2+2d8 (booming blade). Same starting stats, same race, three ASI at this level so you can have 20/20. So you get
>Mace of Dispater
+11 to hit for 31 mace or 15.5 mace and 9 booming blade (24.5 total) and booming blade's effect (same 13.5 secondary).

Now before even considering the reduced accuracy, the cleric does 9.5 less damage each round. So the cleric really has 1 slot for +35.5 damage, 3 slots of +26.5 damage, 3 slots of +17.5 damage, 3 slots of +8.5 damage, and 4 slots of -0.5 damage, plus 2 slots of +8.5 damage on a short rest recharge. Total of +210 damage over 16 slots. The straight warlock has 3 slots of +45 damage on short rest recharge, 135 total, so you'd have to get one short rest in the day to achieve higher overall damage.

Warlock 3 has two invocations: Mace and Cloak. Warlock 12 has 6 invocations: Mace, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker, +2 weapon, Cloak, and one of your choice.

I mean, go for the cleric. Full armor is 20 AC vs studded leather's AC 14 or 15. If you do decide on the warlock, take at least moderately armored. Half plate and shield bumps that to 19 and barely slows you down. Plus I'd never advise either character to solely use their spell slots for smiting. Character limit.
>>
>>51968378
Just PAM, level 5, you can have 18 str and use a big meaty greatsword or you can have 16 str and PAM. Well let's see.
+7 to hit for 4d6+8 (22) damage or +6 to hit for 2d10+6+1d4+3 (22.5) damage and you also use your bonus action. Looks like PAM is only any good if you: Already have 20 str. Get it for free (V. Human). Have bonus damage on each attack. Or get a reaction attack from an enemy entering your reach.

That's just the way it is.
>>
>>51970457
Damages for Ragecaster?

The spells naturally don't scale by damage, but by level and some vague utility I thought of.

Save DCs are pretty high, due to Barbarian Constitution being sick... Oh god, I just realized that their Save DC:s go through the roof at level 20. But that's not really a thing we should be focusing on.

3rd level they can use 1 or 2 dice.

1 die has 2 damaging spells, Thunderwave and Burning Hands. Neither is especially impressive, but Barb gets more use out of them because they're closer to the action than casters most of the time, so I'd say Thunderwave has some nice potential damage there.

It's 2d8 per failed save, and a conservative suggestion of 3 enemies in the area, so probably somewhere around 5d8 damage per round unless they roll their saves really well.

If they roll 6 with one die, they can cast Flame Blade, for 3d6 damage with constitution to-hit. Usefulness plummets when they get extra attack, but pretty good until that.

2 dice cuts Color Spray off (it's not so good so it's basically the only thing you don't need to even roll to cast), and gives access to spells 7-12. Scorching Ray and Shatter are the best damaging spells here, and *alarm sounds* you can cast Haste at 3rd level. It just requires you to use both of your dice, choose haste as one of the two spells you're trying to cast, and succeed in 1/36 roll. This is kind of a theme here. You can cast strong things, it's just unlikely and drains a lot of dice.

Scorching ray and Shatter are 10 and 11, so they're still pretty unlikely to be cast.

At 6th level, you get third die.

3 dice gives access to spells 13-18. Spells starting from 16 onwards are 4th level spells. But again, they require a lot of sacrifice to work. Hell, even casting Haste is still risky at 3 dice, and that drains you all your dice.

13 is lightning bolt, 15 is fireball. Pretty unlikely to get. 4th level spells basically are 1/20 chance to be cast, so not very likely, but possible.

cont.
>>
>>51970869
Oh yeah, important point about the 2-spell system. The idea is that you can take one risky spell (say, Haste with 2 dice) and one less risky spell (say, Moonbeam). Later on it's even more important, because of the 6th level feature allowing them to be cast at higher levels. The idea is that you always have a back-up spell to cast.

At 10th level, you get 4th die, and the ability to get... Cone of Cold, one level before full casters. But again, it requires you to basically put all of your dice, trusting that you would get a crit (1/20 chance). So, not the most efficient way to cast.

At 14th level, you get the ability to turn 2d6 into 1d20. This significantly raises the swinginess of the rolls, but makes it easier to cast high-level spells.

I would really need to crunch numbers to see how the casting is balanced, but it's really hard due to the swingyness of the dice. Yes, this barbarian mongrel might just cast a fucking Cone of Cold the first thing once they hit level 20, but it's so unlikely. It's unlikely the player would even take the risk.

The most important thing to remember about the Ragecaster, though, is that the ragecasting is not supposed to be their be-all-end-all, they're basically just 1/3rd casters with swingy spellcasting, and the meat of the class is still in hitting things with a piece of metal.
>>
>>51971011
Gotta roll those numbers and compare with that elemental Barb from UA and maybe with EK., so we can get a good notion.
But I'm kinda liking the concept.
>>
>>51968529
u wot
>>
>>51964227
Treat a potential player as an actual fucking potential player or don't consider this at all.
>>
>>51971101
I'll migrate, I'll see what I can come up with.
>>
>>51964227
>Or is there any decent homebrewed Vampire Patron?
Just use raven queen.
You know, raven is on Strahd's coat of arms and is generally his symbol.
>>
>>51964200
>>enjoy being an unstoppable tank immune to the usual martial shutdowns, charm and fear
>Hold person
>Banish
>Stun
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.