[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Best adventure edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 41

File: Curse of Strahd.jpg (415KB, 1536x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd.jpg
415KB, 1536x1055px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.
>>51893467

What is the best official adventure, and why is it picrelated?
>>
>>
>>51898795
>>
Player wants to be a human barbarian raised by lizardfolk. Fluff-wise it was because his parents were on good terms with the lizards, and because they were reliable they saw no need to waste a child with good potential just for a free meal.

I was thinking of giving him the option of having Cunning Artisan for free; that seem fair to you guys?
>>
Speaking of the prewritten stuff, what do you think of the selection for Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
>>51898640
Any chance someone could add the Gunslinger class to the Trove?
>>
>>51898998
saves me the trouble of converting a bunch of 1e adventures
>>
>>51899009
Fuck it doesn't have it, here we go.
>>
>>51898997
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>51898998
I mean, there's nothing there that would convince me to actually use pre-written stuff, but from what I've read, it is a competent greatest hits album.
>>
File: not even mad.gif (2MB, 355x185px) Image search: [Google]
not even mad.gif
2MB, 355x185px
>party trapped in underdark
>thrown to an arena naked
>"amuse the crowd and earn your gear back for the fights to come"
>dwarf breaks into a racy bar song
>effeminate warlock dancing around to it
>slaps on asses are had
>drow crowd lusting hard for that butt everafter
>fastforward holding cells
>same warlock talks his way into wardens office
>trying to seduce a key out of him
>mage hand to rub his package as they talk across his desk

>my fucking face when my players pulled me into the magical realm
>>
File: the snacks.jpg (48KB, 599x588px) Image search: [Google]
the snacks.jpg
48KB, 599x588px
>>51898998
i was wanting to run the sunless citadel for ages now, was either gonna run 3.5 for it or tweak it up to 5 on my own until i saw they had it on there

all over that shit
>>
>>51898640
>>51899009
>>51899037

Could we add this in too?
>>
>>51899319
Fucking drow
>>
>>51899319
>the warden is a man
You have strange drow.
>>
File: oh no.jpg (41KB, 294x300px) Image search: [Google]
oh no.jpg
41KB, 294x300px
>>51899359
How about no?
>>
>>51899393
Why anon?
>>
Continuing sorcerer discussion
>Spell Points instead of slots
>Expanded Spell lists
>More metamagic (lore sorcerer spell secrets as a metamagic, divided between lesser and greater)
>Improved metamagic (either as options for more points or just buff it like sculpt magic instead of careful spell)
>Lesser metamagic at 3 (twinned, subtle, lesser distant, empowered, careful, quickened, heightened, lesser spell weaving changing damage type to fire, cold, poison, lightning, necrotic, and acid
>Level 10 feature now change a spell on a long rest and greater metamagics (sculpted, maximized, greater distant, and greater weaving radiant, psychic, thunder and save changes
>Level 17 feature now exploding dice up to Cha Mod (does not work with maximized) and for each exploded die a sorcery point is regained
>>
>>51899402
1. It's bloated and overdesigned. K.I.S.S.
2. It strangely has the opposite problem of most homebrew in that it is underpowered, and thus will cause any player who wants something like it to be more useless in a party than a vanilla Beastmaster Ranger.
3. It doesn't really have a thematic niche that would allow a DM to allow it in their world
>>
>>51899440
Oh and pyromancer is called elementalist
Can switch between Fire, Cold, Poison, Acid, and necrotic (dat plane of salt) 3 times per long rest as a bonus action. Flavored as these are the planes which intersect with the material plane the most, allowing those magically inclined individuals access to them.
>>
>>51898640
Curse of Strahd is the best written in both story, potential, freedom and atmosphere but it's a bit cheating since it is piggybacking off what was already one of if not the best of the early DnD modules.
>>
>>51898640
Are there any Pathfinder stories that people consider good enough to port over to 5e?
>>
>>51899440
i would dig taking spellpoints over casts per day but no fucking way i'd be any good with how much to give per level and what spell level should cost what number of spellpoints for purposes of balance
>>
starting the party on moving from LMoP to storm king's thunder tonight. words of wisdom?
>>
>>51899536
Page 288 of DMG friend
>>
Going to start playing Princes of the Apocalypse today, what am I in for? Any particular classes that would be good for it?
>>
>>51899550
oh well shit i forgot that's an actual variant rule thing now. cheers.
>>
>>51899554
Play genasi with the adequate sorcerer subclass for dat flavor&immersion
>>
>>51899460
>It's Bloated and overdesigned.
Explain more on this cause to me it's about the same design as a paladin, it has war magic instead of extra attack, free magic weapons, and all of the subclasses synergize with itself. I don't see it as overdesigned it's just a magic swordsman/gish.

>2. It strangely has the opposite problem of most homebrew in that it is underpowered, and thus will cause any player who wants something like it to be more useless in a party than a vanilla Beastmaster Ranger.

War magic, Enspell, Aegis, arcane casting, divine smite, AOE buff, multiple free spell castings... seems pretty strong to me. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say it might be a bit too strong.

>3. It doesn't really have a thematic niche that would allow a DM to allow it in their world

Cult of magic, martial fighters, red mages... it seems flexible, I made it work.
>>
>>51899532
Not really.
>>
>>51899440
If that's what you want the level 17 feature to be, wild sorcerers should get something else at 18.
>>
How would I play as a lucky wizard?

If we were going by the classic

>str
>dex
>con
>wis
>int
>lck

I want my wizard to be Int/lck but obviously there is no lck stat
>>
>>51899359
No. It's shit.
>>
File: antimage_vert.jpg (22KB, 235x272px) Image search: [Google]
antimage_vert.jpg
22KB, 235x272px
>>51899663
Halfing Wizard.

Human Variant Wizard.

Anything Wizard and take Lucky at 4.
>>
>>51899663
Halfling divination wizard with the lucky feat.
>>
>>51899663
You play as a halfling divination wizard with Lucky feat. You think things and they happen.
>>
>>51898640
>What is the best official adventure, and why is it picrelated?

Calling Curse of Strahd 'the best' isn't very impressive since the other adventures are all terrible. It's just a rehash/expansion of an AD&D setting with a central plot line that doesn't make sense or work unless you force your players onto rails. It seems like it's trying to have old school hexcrawler feel but there's nothing to encounter that doesn't force you back onto the path of 'get the mcguffins, kill vamp'.
>>
>>51899687
>>51899697
>>51899700
Nice was thinking of Divination anyway. Sounds the most useful for getting the party out of a sticky situation
>>
>>51898998
>Now That's What I Call Dungeons
Yo Baron, I can dig it!
>>
>>51899705
Which would you say are the least terrible?
>>
File: anon is mad.png (5KB, 479x433px) Image search: [Google]
anon is mad.png
5KB, 479x433px
>that feel when the rest of party obeys the "Keep Out" sign of the evil wizard's lair
>>
>>51899359
Why wouldn't I just play an Eldritch Knight if I wanted to be a gish?
>>
I wish we had some new official books for classes and subclasses
>>
>>51899651
Damn, forgot about wild sorcerer. What would you suggest? I'm thinking something about increases to force damage as that is the damage of pure magical energy though its not too random.
I definitely want sorcerers to get damage. They're defined by a limited spell list that they use metamagic to fit to their needs and, while they have less utility than wizards, they bring the pain much more effectively.
>>
>>51899761
Me too. My group allows UA but I always feel hesitant using playtest material and it's nice having a lot of shit in one book to reference.
>>
>>51899722
I'd agree that Curse of Strahd is 'the best' but with the caveat that it's 'the best' in the same way that the shit sandwich with barbecue sauce on it is 'the tastiest'. I have fond memories of Hoard of the Dragon Queen 'cuz that was the first full campaign I ran but I also acknowledge that it's pretty bad.
>>
>>51899755
Free magic weapons+armor, divine smite, half caster, Spell Ward, free spell slots, more spell options.
>>
>>51899780
Maybe after they've done an UA for every class they will release it in a second phb.

One thing I liked about 3.5 & 4e is the amount of official book that came out
>>
>>51899532
I'd personally love to see Second Darkness ported over.
>>
>Revised Beastmaster
>Tempest Cleric
>Dream Druid
>Open Hand Monk
>Conquest Paladin

I was not prepared for this party. How are meager skelemans and the occasional lesser Devil supposed to compete?
>>
>>51899715
You should know, the DM may hate you.

Because you will become the DM.
>>
>>51899603
>Bloated
The number of features is more than any PHB class when you consider their spellcasting, something that can be seen in that guy's other "Pugilist" homebrew. Combine that with their spellcasting which has a bunch of exclusive spells that no other class has and you have something that has too many things to keep track of for my taste.

>Balance
Enspell is just a concentrationless Magic Weapon, Aegis is a concentrationless Shield of Faith that only gets better than a 1st level spell at 13th level, their spell progression is like a Ranger which is not exactly known for having great spellcasting, their melee smites are worse than a Paladin's and their ranged smites are even worse than the Arcane Archer UA, War magic is good I won't lie, but overall it just doesn't excel at any category. Compare that to other gishes who either have crazy offense (Paladin) or Crazy defense (Eldritch Knight) and they end up as versatile but lacking in the kind of abilities that will make a party appreciate their presence since their effects are largely incremental and subtle.

>Setting
I'm not saying they can't fit in, just that their fluff crowds the already crowded "Magical Society" niche. If your setting has room for it fine, but many don't.

I'm not saying your fun is wrong, but the Magus really isn't as broadly applicable as the Gunslinger. If you want it in the Mega, go ahead since my original post was mostly a joke.
>>
>>51899780
Even though they said that they won't make things like "Complete" books from 3.5, I hope they would try to balance them again and make an "Adventurer's Compendium" that had all the UA material revised, and maybe some new things in on itself. But I think that would be enough for the character building we need for 5e. I don't see the appeal of having hundreds of classes and options, it bogs down character creation and encourages munchkinnery.
>>
>>51899831
>Using UA material
You brought this on yourself
>>
>>51899831
Tucker's Meager Skelemans I guess?
>>
>>51899780
Someone did put all the UA into one file (Excluding things like Plane Shifts and such, UA only)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4jAv0Wgv9taQ29RZUJiekRXMWc
>>
I'm going to port talislanta spellcasting to 5e.
>>
>>51899831
>no Lore Wizard

Shit party
>>
>>51899547
Bryn Shander is not as fun as it sounds. Goldenfields would've probably been a better place to send the party.

Enjoy Chapter 3, let your players explore the Sword Coast for a few sessions, there's a lot of great adventures in there. Definitely try to tie in some foreshadowing, and build up the Giant threat.

For sure read the PDF, I would've loved to have read it before I ran SKT.
>>
>>51899847
>something that can be seen in that guy's other "Pugilist" homebrew
I keep pointing this out from time to time, but the Pugilist has literally the exact same number of named abilities as the Monk.

Not gonna bother reading the magus, though.
>>
>>51899937
Rate my party
>gnome lore wizard
>dwarf ancients paladin
>warforged totem barbarian
>dragonborn draconic sorcerer
>>
File: D - disgust.jpg (45KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
D - disgust.jpg
45KB, 550x412px
>>51900010
> lore wizard
It's shit.
>>
>>51899491
And they brought back the original writers/designers for the new book as consultants.
>>
>>51899999
>named abilities as the Monk
And at least 3 of them are ribbons unless the DM loves his inner city shit.
>>
>>51900018
>t-there's no winning...
>>
I'm going to DM HotDQ for the following party, How do you think it'll go?

Wood-Elf Monk (going Open Hand)
Wood-Elf Druid (going Swamp)
Half-Elf Rogue (going Thief)
Taxabi Rogue (going Arcane Trickster)

Thoughts? Will they succumb to the first kobolds?
>>
Official Best Party:

>Divination Halfling W/ Lucky Feat
>Lore Bard Half Elf
>Human Paladin
>Dwarf Cleric
>Elf Rogue
>>
>>51899440
Are you gonna write this up? I'd love to read it if you do!
>>
Who/what are "The Ancients" referenced in terms of the Vow of the Ancients paladin? I mean, I get that they're supposed to be fey/elfy themed paladins without being too obvious, but I don't get it.
>>
>>51899847
>Bloated
Okay, fair point.

>Balance
I see this class as the more magic focused option as opposed to the Paladins offensive and EKs defensive, but fair point. The Enspell and Aegis feature come with more benefits than just being a concentrationless Magic Weapon. Like removing resistances and immunities or causing status conditions, I think that gives them some solid usage in a party. They also have much better spell options than the ranger does.

>Setting
To each his own I suppose.
>>
>>51900063
What's the one site everybody uses for their formatted homebrews?
>>51900068
The lords of the wild.
The everliving treants.
The eternal fae.
Any nature bullshit you can think of probably lives a long ass time.
>>
Is there a published adventure in which the Mariner fighting style would actually be useful?
>>
>>51900068
Fey or other miscellaneous nature spirit things I guess.
>>
>>51900054
*Tabaxi
>>
>>51900057
Nah.

Arcana cleric, oathbreaker, necromancer, moon druid (assistant tank at early levels and gotta turn those skellingtons into giant scorpions later on), and, sure, lore bard.
>>
Is Storm King the best lengthy campaign with the most magical feel?

the idea of dragons v giants and airships sounds amazing
>>
>>51899009
>>51899037
>>51899359
Megaanon here. No.
>>
>>51900068
Nature spirits of the Material plane.
>>
>>51900057
let me correct the record:
>halfling diviner with lucky feat
>nuclear druid
>auxiliary grave cleric
>dragon-hunting kobold
>fighter with diamond pickaxe
>sanic tabaxi
There you go
>>
>>51900038
Like tongue of the sun and moon and timeless body.
>>
>>51899532
Adventure paths are something Paizo actually does fairly well. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Skulls and Shackles or Iron Gods in 5e.
>>
>>51900108
Megaanon, been asking for a while now, but why no Plane Shift material on 5etools?
>>
>>51900108
Shitty homebrews btfo.
>>
>>51900078
Where is the Mariner fighting style? No, but it COULD be useful in a Spelljammer or nautical themed campaign -- though that may sound improbable to you, a ship is a battlemap you can reuse 100s of times.
>>
/5eg/ I need some help.

I love 5E, and so does my regular group. We've been running two alternating games, a PF one and a 5Eberron one. Now after adding a new player we are talking about converting the PF game to 5E and one of the player is having trouble with figuring out their changeover.

If PF, they're playing a Bard (sandman) and does a lot of sneakiness, stealing spells, and a lot of illusions.

He just linked me a home brew bard college on DndWiki, which I have told people to never link me because I think the place is a tire fire, instead I was wondering folk's opinions on one of the variant ideas about feats about some class features (with a bit of adjustments) being made into feats rather than even considering something from the wiki and making it as a counter offer to the player.

What would be some appropriate features turned feats from Illusionist and arcane trickster and what adjustments would you make.

I wanted to gauge you guys on this while I make some of my own brewings and compare what comes up. Thanks Anons.
>>
>>51900077
Mega is always good for uploading, as is mediafire and googledocs.
>>
>>51900077
>What's the one site everybody uses for their formatted homebrews?
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>Any nature bullshit you can think of probably lives a long ass time.
Hell, a 20th level elf druid lives like 7000 years, so they'd probably qualify.
>>
File: Make dnd great again.jpg (105KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Make dnd great again.jpg
105KB, 600x800px
>>51900108
BTFO
>>
>>51900108
Hey megaanon
Thanks for being great
Will other 3rd party shit be added or is ToB it?
>>
>>51900097
>necromancer+animal shapes druid
Fuck, I was meeming it up that day but forgot to put it into my all-star party
>>51900114
>>
>>51899037
>misfire rules

How about no?
>>
>>51900108
Ah well worth a shot.
>>
>>51900038
>3 of them are ribbons
What's the third one? Street Smart and Rabble Rouser are ribbons for sure, what's the third?
>>
>>51900108
Megaanon, you've missed one of the seeker invocations from the Lore Wizard Arcana, the one that grants languages.
>>
>>51900126

Quicken/Twinned spell will probably always be the top picks for Metamagic because they let the Sorcerer break the rules for concentration and the action economy. Whether the character has them permanently or can choose between using those or another Metamagic is irrelevant because they are the most flexible options and will be picked 99.9% of the time. Taking away the worry of "I need to take Quick/Twin Spell to not be useless all the time" by allowing them to swap out Metamagics isn't a bad thing.
>>
>>51900108
Kek
>>
>>51899591
That's a good idea, thanks!

>>51899554
Can anyone tell me a bit more about the adventure? Is it mostly in dungeons, on land, etc etc?
>>
How do you like your Halflings? Do you like them as just short people? Short people with big heads? Thicc short girls?
>>
>>51900395
Without spoilers, I'd say there's more than a few dungeons. If I remember correctly.
>>
>>51900114
>Int 8 wizard
>catgirls.pdf
>how do I make a dark souls character
>13+DEX+CON+DEX+WIS+DEX dragon sorcerer barbarian monk
>>
>>51900010
>rate my party
>metagamer
>failed metagamer
>what the fuck am I doing gamer
>holy shit kill me now gamer
>>
>>51899768
I'd think it would involve surges, like once per long rest being able to choose which surge you get, or being able to redirect a less desirable surge effect onto an enemy you can see in range. Maybe they'd be required to win a charisma contest or beat your spell save DC with their charisma.
>>
>tfw can't play D&D and only have a chromebook so I can't even roll 20
>>
>>51900450
> Metagamer
You keep using that word.
>>
File: 1482355826995.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1482355826995.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>51900484
By wikipedia's shitty definition
"Metagaming is any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself."

Considering lore wizard is an obviously broken piece of playtest material that should be banned but unaware DMs allow, that's firstly breaking the
>prescribed rules
Part, considering lore wizard is practically rules breaking with what it does, as well as breaking the concept of having sorcerers in the first place when you're covering their grounds.
>Goes beyond the supposed limit / environment
D&D isn't a game of 'how broken a character can I make', and when you pick a gnome fucking lore wizard you're not far from trying to make it a game of 'how broken a character can I make'.

Fuck you word police.
>>
How would you prioritize leveling a Battle Master/Inquisitive Rogue multiclass?
>>
>>51900476
I think roll20 does mobile options, if you're a subscriber, Or is it a hardware issue?
>>
>>51900575
I mean, on that last point, 'There's a limit of not trying to make incredibly broken characters unless everyone else is fine with it + doing the same' and clearly the others aren't trying to make the best characters possible.

>>51900595
Just consider that fighter gives you damage spikes at 5 and 11, whereas rogue gives you increases at 1, 3, 5(+uncanny dodge), 7, 9, 11, 13, etc.
>>
>>51900442
>13+CON+DEX+CON+DEX+WIS+DEX+INT
stone sorcerer barbarian monk bladesinger

>>51900575
First, the DM asked me if I wanted to respec my wizard into lore, with the caveat that he would nerf it if needed
Second, how the fuck is a dwarf ancients paladin a failed metagamer?
Fuck you "powergaming" police
>>
>>51900607
ah nah I seem to be able to run it alright now.

Just need to find a game thats running Storm King now
>>
>>51900625
Lore wizard is a mistake of nature and should never be allowed.
The dwarf paladin plays one of the best classes but doesn't pick the best options for it.

Of course, I can trust that your game would actually be okay but from an objective standpoint I can sitll make these jokes.
>>
I have no problem with people creating homebrew archetypes, backstories or even races as long as they're in the monster manual. but what seriously pisses me off is when someone gets up set when they can't bring a Homebrew class.

I don't think I've ever seen a well balanced homebrew class. I honestly don't care who made it, that shit pisses me off.

I mean aren't there already enough classes? don't they already cover enough bases?

is there really an idea on earth that can't fit into one of the already existing classes?

oh but no, my character is a telekinetic, no class fits that well.

how about soccerer or monk?

b-but I'm a skilled back ally street fighter. I mostly use grapples rather than strikes so I can't be monk.

how about barbarian or fighter.

at first I was open to this shit but after experiencing too many retards coming in with stupidly broken characters who I had no idea what to expect from I pretty much just kicked people out for even bringing a character sheet with a homebrew class.

I once had a retard create a level 1 character who could summon living swords as a bonus action and the only downside he balanced it with was giving it a DC 10 to succesfully summon.

thats not even the worst, some guy tried to bring a jedi class he found online. his level 3 ability gave him plus 20 persuasion.
>>
>>51900693
>is there really an idea on earth that can't fit into one of the already existing classes?
Considering WOTC themselves are releasing new classes, evidently not
>>
>>51900693
> Reddit spacing
>>
>>51900679
You need to step your joke game up fampai
>>
>>51900693
Jesus that guy needs to do something about that monobrow
>>
>>51900693
Classes are the worst of homebrew because there are so many things you can fuck up.

Archetypes simple request you provide four or so non-core features.
Races simply give you slight passive buffs, usually.
Backgrounds are already supposed to be flexible.

Classes? There are so, so many things that can go wrong.

You can instantly tell bullshit through things like:
>Not understanding the 'spellcasting' feature using improper spell progression
>Two good or bad saves, rather than a good and bad save
>Flat + bonuses everywhere
>Features ripping off of other class features
>Extra Attack (2) without it being suitably justified
>Regain level 6+ spells
>Summon far, far too many things
>Roll far, far too many dice
>>
>>51900625

Lore Wizard isn't broken, people are just dumb and quick to judge. They just end up eating through all of their spell slots even faster and left throwing cantrips around for the rest of the night.
>>
File: 1418796354761.jpg (11KB, 328x212px) Image search: [Google]
1418796354761.jpg
11KB, 328x212px
>>51900693
But what if I want to be a cowboy.
>>
>>51899359
It's pretty conceptually confused. It seems like someone wanted the features and tried to work backwards from there, which makes it dissatisfying and indistinct. It doesn't really have any sort of unifying thematic element that a class very much needs.

It seems like it'd be better to instead split the concepts up between two or three subclasses across the core classes we already have, which would also largely fix its balance problems.
>>
>>51898640
Added a picture to the Undead Homebrew. Probably need some photoshopping still, and I need to figure something out to pad out that second page. I was maybe thinking of subraces, for skellingtons, zombies and vassaliches for example.

I also need to cut the fuck down with those features, but I feel like too many of them are just too good in flavor to give up.
>>
>>51900818
>Outlander/Urban Bountyhunter background Fighter with crossbows/guns depending on setting
>>
>>51900818
didn't someone post gunslinger at the begining of this thread?
>>
Which maneuver should I take? Parry or Riposte?
>>
>>51900878
You should decide yourself.

If multiclassing into rogue, DEFINTIELY take riposte as a manoeuvre.
Otherwise, parry is tanking and riposte is perhaps good if you're heavy hitting (GWM for example)
>>
>>51900860
Yeah, but he was talking about how you can do it without homebrew.

>>51900849
That could work, but it does feel like a kind of slapped together cowboy. It is the best you can get in official content only.

>>51900878
Parry if you're taking hits often, Riposte if you've got high AC.
>>
>>51900878
parry is probably one of the worst manuveres. avoid it. unless you are the only tank in the game and are using a goliath so you can get a lot of damage negation.
>>
>>51900923
learn to read.
I said home brew classes are cancer not homebrew archetypes.
>>
>>51900923
"cowboy" isn't really even about mechanics, it's mostly about the thematic elements.
>>
>>51900953
Fuck. Sorry.
>>
>>51900878
Riposte. Get yourself 20+AC as soon as possible, too.
>>
>>51899768
How about
>Beginning at 17th level, any damaging spell you cast has bursts of magical energy. When you first roll damage for a spell, you can add a number of d10s equal to half the level of the slot used (rounded up) as extra force damage.
>>
Does anyone got access of the roll 20 monster manual tokens and images? It is not on the Mega trove sadly.
>>
>>51900835
>Con increases to 4

This is broken. People will be chomping at the bit to die and become Undead.

Dead know no rest? Undead Fortitude? These things are fucking insane. Either they need to be nerfed or the drawbacks need to be bigger. Slower speed, no Ability Score increases or extra feats whatsoever (Undead stasis, after all).

Otherwise, what does it offer that Revenant doesn't?
>>
>>51900693
>is there really an idea on earth that can't fit into one of the already existing classes?
Binder.
>>
>>51901231
Explain?
>>
>>51901231
Binders are essentially Cha-based Mystics.
You do have to fudge with them a little bit, but the basic feature framework is there.

>Mystics pick several disciplines which are always available to utilize with PP, and one swappable passive benefit via Focus
>Binders pick one (and later, two or three) vestiges to bind to and gain all their passive benefits and active abilities for the duration of the contract
>>
Im trying to import the bestiary into my roll20 game and whenever I paste in the link it takes me to my journal but nothing happens.
>>
>>51901297
You're not wrong, crunch-wise they do feel kinda alike now that I think about it.
>>
>>51901150
Revenant dies after a year, and is really tied to usually murdering a certain character, after of which it dies.

>Con increases by 4
Yeah, I gotta nerf that. Before, they couldn't restore Hit Points by resting (They had 1 hit die recovery once per hour, no more, no less), but now that they're turned to relatively similar to others, I gotta tone that down to 2-3 probably. Also, do remember that your Clerics, Paladins and Druids cannot heal them.

Even slower speed? Really?
>Skeletons: 30ft
>Ghouls: 30ft
Only Zombies go 20ft, and a player character's "CR" is usually more than 1/4. Undead are pretty fast in 5e D&D.

Oh yeah, that Ability Score Increase thing has the problem with feats. There's no reason not to take feats, when you can only raise one stat by one. Maybe reduce it so that they can only take feats only at 12th level?

Undead fortitude was not originally in the picture, but after I removed Undead Regeneration, I took the advice of another homebrewer to put that in (It's what zombies have in MM), because I wanted to emphasize the fact that they don't stay down. Maybe I should make it into a cumulative per short rest?
>>
>>51901150
Revenant is shit also with its
>Lol forget death saves you have regeneration and shit
Sort of idiocy.
>>
>>51901326
>Revenant dies after a year
Where does it say that?
>>
>>51901364
In the MM it says that regarding revenants, and it is a commonly accepted rule. Odd that the UA doesn't mention it.

But nonetheless, Revenants are usually very single-minded on murdering someone or some group of people, or seeking revenge of some kind. That doesn't really sit with me.
>>
>>51901448
So in other words non-PC Revenants only last a year, an arbitrary restriction on a PC's lifespan is kinda bullshit but point out the line in the MM if you could.
>>
File: binderpreview.png (2MB, 830x1142px) Image search: [Google]
binderpreview.png
2MB, 830x1142px
>>51901237
Binders were spell-less not!Clerics (d8, Med BAB, light armor + simple weapons, shit skills) who got all their powers by contracting with entities called "Vestiges", who were generally beings from beyond time, dead Gods, mortals erased from history, and other hideously distant and forgotten things floating around in the void between space and memory. Being stuck in an eternal prison of nothing, they were all quite keen on experiencing life and sensation again, so they offer up their skills and knowledge to any creature who knows the eldritch ritual to summon them, whereupon the two engage in a battle of wills and a contract is formed.

The Vestige cohabitates the Binder's body, granting a variety of passive and active benefits themed around the Vestige's capabilities in life or their history. The Vestige also forcibly manifests some sign of its original body (a vestige that was an earth elemental makes you spit up gravel and dust clouds) and the Binder takes on some of the Vestige's personality, which was usually cursed in some way (racism vs. half-anythings, a fear of the dark, extreme greed but a compulsion to give money to dwarves). These signs and personality traits could be suppressed as part of the contract or on an incidence-by-incidence basis if certain checks were made, once you were high enough level.

Binding was done at the start of an adventuring day, so you could tailor your abilities to the demands of the upcoming shit by picking the right vestiges and hopefully rolling well enough to suppress the mroe deleterious effects of their signs and influences.
>>
How do I Alchemist Artificer, /tg/?

Ever since 3.5 I've wanted a character that can throw around acid vials and alchemist's fire, and now there's a whole class archetype for it, but it seems really mediocre.

Is there something I not seeing?
>>
>>51900450
>>51900575
wtf is the problem with a dwarf ancients paladin? the default assumption is that "the ancients" are froopy elfy things but it fits perfectly well for dorfs too
>>
File: Revenants.jpg (116KB, 536x762px) Image search: [Google]
Revenants.jpg
116KB, 536x762px
>>51901474
Read Hunger for Revenge.

Yeah, giving that restriction would be kind of shit, but on the other hand, having a character become a Revenant pretty much just prolongs their inevitable death, because once this campaign is over (usually), they're gonna crumble to dust and become impossible to revive.
>>
>>51901297
Speaking of which, when are they going to finish the Mystic class for 5e? It's been a while and we're stuck at level 10, while they cranked out Artificer pretty fucking fast.
>>
>>51901569
Mystic is a WoTC in-joke to cuck hopefuly players with over and over.
>>
>>51901558
Yeah, found it myself, I'd try and see if the player would be willing to make overcoming that desire for revenge a character journey, and when they reach the last remaining adversary responsible for what they want revenge for they have a choice, and the outcome of that choice decides their reward.
>>
>>51901150
5e revenants are pretty horrendous compared to the undead PCs of any other edition. I hope the final product will be more like 4e revenants than 5e revenants, that sort of monotone character sounds really tiresome.
>>
>>51901603
But yeah, all in all, as I said in >>51900835 the original post:

>I need to cut the fuck down with those features

Both positive and negative ones are at the chopping block, but I'm trying to make being undead something somewhat different while keeping it from being OP.

Things like Undying and flavorful, but only useful in really rare edge cases (or when the character has been planned towards it), such as having a certain feature (such as second wind) to raise you up.

Revenant is an okay subrace, but the problem with it is that most people who want to play undead, don't want to play Revenants. Especially when revenants are usually very specific undead.
>>
>>51901558
What makes you think at all that a PC revenant is even remotely the same kind of thing as a monster revenant? Do they get undead type, regen 10, a giant list of condition immunities, and the ability to rejuvenate within 24 hours?
>>
>>51901487
Play a regular-ass Wizard and fluff your spells. Whatever it is you want your character to be able to do will likely never be as easy/effective as core spellcasting.
>>
File: 1434455346494.jpg (423KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1434455346494.jpg
423KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone have a copy of Frozen Castle, the adventure linking HotDQ and RoT?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172527/Frozen-Castle--Expanding-Tyranny-of-Dragons

It's not in the mega. Will reward with random /wg/
>>
File: More Revenants.jpg (60KB, 356x428px) Image search: [Google]
More Revenants.jpg
60KB, 356x428px
>>51901732
PC Revenants do get the most important of them: Immortality.

That's why PC Revenants must be tied to one campaign. If they die, they will just rejuvenate in another body in 24 hours.
>>
>>51901720
Refluff it any way you want it to be, say a wizard Revenant who was so focused on his research that he fucking died and never noticed that he had, or a Fighter that wanted to pass on all of his skill and won't rest until he knows that he has, or what have you if you need the Creators of D&D to think for you I think poorly of your thinking skills. Not saying you personally have poor thinking skills just that thats what i would think of someone who couldn't refluff Revenant into some other kind of undead or to be less VENGEANCE.
>>
File: 1390331388719.jpg (3MB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1390331388719.jpg
3MB, 3840x1080px
>>51901740
>>
>>51901781
If it doesn't explicitly state that they have ALL revenant abilities, to include regen 10, very high stats, the undead type, etc., then they don't get the year-long lifespan either.
>>
>>51898640
Has anybody played in a MTG setting like Innistrad or Kaladesh?

Innistrad sounds like fun because of how focused it is.
But the PDF for Kaladesh disappointed me with its handling of vehicles and magic items.
>>
File: 1412742690606.jpg (978KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1412742690606.jpg
978KB, 1920x1080px
>>51901821
>>
>>51901789
>if you need the Creators of D&D to think for you I think poorly of your thinking skills.

Dude, equating revenant = all undead is a bit like equating dwarf = all short people.
>>
File: sigarda-herons-grace-wallpaper.jpg (277KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
sigarda-herons-grace-wallpaper.jpg
277KB, 750x450px
>>51901874
forgot a pic
>>
>>51901873
I guess. But playing an undead character without Undead Type is just weird, IMO. And to be honest, I'm homebrewing things for the heck of it, mostly. My own project is on soft writing hiatus because it's in editing phase, so I have just started homebrewing for 5e because several games of it popped up, and I might get to use my homebrews.

(I already got to use my nerfed Loremaster Wizard as my Wizard's archetype, and my Sorcerer variant class for another).
>>
>>51901889
Didn't mean to equate them but, you saying that doesn't mean my point is any less valid. Using Revenant as a base or rather the skeleton of the race you want to make, you can make any kind of undead PC you want by simply refluffing it and moifying some of the abilities.
>>
File: 1413236782648.jpg (2MB, 3564x2097px) Image search: [Google]
1413236782648.jpg
2MB, 3564x2097px
>>51901888
>>
I'm looking to make a multiclass Fighter/Rogue, more specifically scout/scout. We'll be starting at level 4, anyone have any suggestions for dips and stuff like that?
>>
>>51901935
But... WHY? Why would you want to use something that is totally ill fitting in every way, different in terms of flavor and crunch?

As it turns out, the playable monster races were not far from their DMG incarnations, so why not base playable undead off their DMG incarnations?
>>
>>51901982
It's not in the DMG for one, and I'm saying to do that more because so few people understand 5e's design philosphy and create unbalanced shit, basing something on revenant basically, in D&D terms, an undead raised by it's own will. not necessarily a bad idea at it's core.
>>
File: 1413236946338.jpg (2MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
1413236946338.jpg
2MB, 4272x2848px
>>51901964
>>
>>51901935
But refluffing it is (to me) basically just the same difference as just making one from scratch. The features need to be written down anyway, don't they?

Most of the things in >>51900835 are anyway ripped more or less from other undead creatures, to make one that has enough features to justify it being different.

And I mean, Revenant subclass doesn't just scratch my itch nearly enough, it has nothing of Undead Type (which, for an undead character, is very weird), it doesn't have anything whether the character is actually considered undead etc etc.

I'm an avid homebrewer, I wrote most of it in one afternoon, basically, then used another for photoshopping. I do this because I like to. I strive to make it balanced, because I don't really aim to break the game, I aim to make the character choice interesting enough to be considered. Hence why I said in the very first post:
>I also need to cut the fuck down with those features

I'm not >>51901982 and >>51901889 btw
>>
>>51901970
I'm not sure if scout has any synergy with rogue scout as far as I can remember (Battlemaster can sneak attack on reactions, champion has double crit chance for double crit sneaks)

.. But just remember, getting 5 in a class is important. Rogue gives you +1d6 sneak and uncanny dodge, fighter gives you extra attack.

5 or 11 levels in fighter and 5 or 7/9/11/13/15/etc levels in rogue is quite advisable.
>>
>>51902027
>It's not in the DMG for one

It is, for one.

>basing something on revenant basically, in D&D terms, an undead raised by it's own will. not necessarily a bad idea at it's core.

Well no, its not undead, but it does come back from death 101 times. So that's pretty far off from something that is undead, and doesn't come back.

The main distinction, beyond typically a few new abilities, in Volo's was that the races had 2 fewer points of penalties.
>>
Making a half orc barbarian, should I go with a greataxe or great sword? Flavor wise I prefer the greataxe. Also, any general barbarian play style tips?
>>
>>51899359
Holy shit. It's like someone wanted the best feature from everyclass.
I hope there is no DM unlucky enough to have the kind of player who would bring this to them.
>>
>>51898640
currently playing through Curse of Strahd. We were confronted by Strahd at a funeral for the burgomeister. He was going to kidnap this woman, so to save her from becoming a vampires plaything, I promptly killed her. The DM even gave her death saves, but I was able to hit her enough with my flurry+action surge (weee monk/fighter multiclass).

Have i totally derailed this premade campaign?
>>
>>51902060
You object on the basis that it doesn't feel Undead to you, I understand that, although Players are generally meant to be able to be a part of civilazation and too much undeady type stuff would create issues there logicaly speaking.
>>51902098
REVENANT IS NOT IN THE DMG< IT IS IN THE MM AND UA MORON.

it is in fact, Undead. a Revenant resides in a corpse not a healthy living humanoid body, revenants, the monsters do comeback repeatedly for one year then turn to dust, they are also way more powerful at a baseline than a PC Revenant would be.
>>
What rogue archetype would go best with the Battle Master?
>>
Rate my Party
>Gnome Artificer Variant
>Troll Barbarian
>Warforged Cleric
>Dragonborn Gunslinger
>Wood-Elf Druid
>>
>>51902147
>Have i totally derailed this premade campaign?
Probably not but you're still a dumbass.
>>
>>51902177
>REVENANT IS NOT IN THE DMG

Never said it was, my easily triggered friend. Again, the undead races look perfectly serviceable to me, and the NPC versions of the Volo's races turned out to be pretty similar to the DMG ones, other than -4s were reduced to -2s.

>it is in fact, Undead

No implication of that in UA.

>no monsters

No implication that anything in the MM applies that is not cited in the UA article.
>>
>>51902060
>>51902177
Did you read the fluff, famalam? It is explicitly stated that because it is hard to socialize as undead, most of them turn to adventuring and / or cover themselves from head to toe in clothes or armor.

The idea of undead either covered entirely in armor or in drapes and robes is the base idea for the class. Even the picture is of a Death Knight, who is, other than having spoopy hands, pretty much covered in clothes, possibly to hide their identity if needed.

Hell, I even had a feature for that before, but I cut it.
>>
DM said we get to do a gestalt for our next campaign. I was thinking of GWM beserker barb/ champion fighter for awesome criticals. Anyone have a better idea?
>>
>>51900248
Thanks for that, fixed it earlier.

>>51900132
The Planeshift stuff is barely 1st-party. I'll add it if and when they start putting out UA material or published material for it.
>>
>>51902100
The half orc and barbarian abilities to reroll damage dice both favor a greataxe. However, even though a greatsword only does .5 more damage on average per normal hit, it still does more overall than a greataxe. That is muddled somewhat though by the existence of reckless attack, which makes crits more likely when used.

But just use the greataxe if you prefer it flavorwise.
>>
>>51902192
I could see several of them work well but I guess it also depends on the weapons and manoeuvres you picked. Inquisitive and Swashbuckler both have ways of using their sneak attack without requiring advantage, which could be useful for holding your own in combat. Scout would probably suit a ranged fighter. Mastermind might work well if you have manoeuvres that work with allies.

Haven't tried any of them out though.
>>
R8 Party: Triggered Edition
>Paladin
>Gnome Wild Magic Sorc
>Fighter
>Cleric
>And myself, Halfling Bard (College of Satire
>>
>>51902256
I did, the second guy you quoted wants it to feel more undead than it already does, that creates problems.
>>51902249
You did say it was in the DMG don't lie, it was here>>51901982 in fact, we are discussing revenants, not other shit in the DMG, revenant is in the MM and UA it is a player race, The stuff in the DMG is not, and I'm far too lazy to stat it out as a player, and would likely fuck it up and unbalance it.
>>
File: 1467910680245.gif (2MB, 245x246px) Image search: [Google]
1467910680245.gif
2MB, 245x246px
>>51902386
>>
>>51900108
>

hey megaanon. You're alright
>>
>>51902192
Swashbuckler or Assassin.

Assassins give the auto-crit on sneak attacks, and Swashbucklers will give you sneak attack on any melee attack. ANY. That's a free 2d6 as well as getting a CHA mod bonus to initiative and no attacks of opportunity against anyone you attack.
So if you want to be more stealthy, assassin's auto-crit is amazing, but if you're looking to be a fighter more than a rouge, go Swash. I cannot fucking imagine how strong this shit would be when you factor in maneuvers an superiority dice.

Also, if you can, take the Alert feat. DEX mod + CHA mod + 5 is insane Initiative. My pure rouge has a fucking +13. I can beat half the encounter's rolls with a NAT 1.
>>
>>51900108
Would it be unwieldy to mark "Modern Magic" stuff separately from other UA stuff in 5etools?

Also you're super cool and 5etools has become my crutch. It's so damn handy.
>>
>>51902299
Sorcerer and Lore Master Wizard.

Use Metamagic to expand a touch spell to 30 feet, then use Lore Master to explode that range out to a mile.
>>
>>51902391
>You did say it was in the DMG don't lie

Nope.

>>51901982
1. PC revenants are not undead
2. The DMG has skeletons and zombies, which... are undead.

>far too lazy to stat it out as a player

What needs to be statted out? The NPC undead races that have already been statted out for years?

Same table that the modifiers for orcs, kobolds, etc. came from, except they added a few things and reduced -4s to -2s. DM's discretion whether PC undead would have their weaknesses reduced in like fashion.
>>
>>51902476
It's all already in there.
>>
>>51902491
Uh, buddy? Not him but: >>51902098
>>
File: tBrh63d.png (1KB, 155x53px) Image search: [Google]
tBrh63d.png
1KB, 155x53px
>>51902504
I meant for pic related and similar. Spells and archetypes for Modern Magic.
>>
I'm porting over talislanta based spell making. What are some appropriate mods for DnD?
>>
>>51902509
Yuppers, that post likewise points out that the undead races are in the DMG, and also points out, yet again, that revenants aren't undead.
>>
File: 1283698117515.jpg (111KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1283698117515.jpg
111KB, 500x500px
>>51900114
>dragon hunting kolbold
>fighter with diamond pickaxe

I constantly lurk these threads as much as I can, but I still do not get these two. Is that a minecraft reference?
>>
>>51902360

part of what makes the 5e tools so appealing is that they're not overstuffed...
>>
>>51902560
Revenant are Undead, are you stupid?
>>
>>51902624
The PC race is just what you see, pal.
>>
>>51900078
+1 AC and a Climb speed's good. The Swim speed's not as good.

I mostly think it would be useful for DEX characters who aren't going to be making many attacks, or want some out of combat utility over a combat boost.
>>
>>51900114
>auxiliary grave cleric
Teach me the ways to this magical art
>>
>>51902560
Have you read the MM? A revenant's creature type is undead.
>>
>>51902580
A couple of autists post every now and then "xth for kobold dragon-hunting party" without apparent reason.
Some people insisted that because diamonds are the hardest natural material that also meant they couldn't shatter. Science-anons got mad people were that stupid.
>>
I'm jumping into a game soon. Is there a place where all of the 5E Unearthed Arcana is lumped together in one archive?
>>
>>51902635
No I also see the MM monster Revenant, and both the PC race and the monster are undead.
>>
>>51902580
The diamond pickaxe meme comes from someone making a minecraft joke, someone taking minecraft "materials quality" seriously in wanting to craft a pickaxe out of solid diamond in-game, and then the entire rest of the thread being spent explaining the difference between the scientific definition of Hardness and the common usage of hardness.
>>
>>51902663
>>51902689
The point is that in the UA, the PC subrace doesn't have Undead Type, and none of the benefits or drawbacks of being undead, even though allegedly being a revenant.
>>
>>51902663
Yet again, we're talking about the revenant PC race, in which it is not remotely implied that the PC gets anything not listed in the article.
>>
>>51902660
Grave Cleric can make an enemy vulnerable to a damage type, he's there to increase the nuclear druid's damage
>>
>>51902689
>the PC race is undead

Citation needed
>>
Making a halforc Treachery paladin and intend to dualwield either a battleaxe + whip or longsword + whip.

How good/bad of an idea is this?
What the fuck kind of feat should I pair with this?

Also he's going to be a man of questionable moral of course.
>>
>>51901874
None of my players know MtG at all and I own the Art book they made for Zendikar. It's full of subtle hints for plot hooks and adventure ideas.

So at one point they needed to get the hell out of a city and joined an expedition to a strange new country, which was of course Zendikar. Good times were had.
>>
>>51902673
Oh, I've seen that guy. Didn't realize he had hit meme status. Does remind me of a screencap I wish I had saved a while back, of a kolbold that "Tucker's" a dragon flying out of a mountain lair.
I was also secretly wishing for some sort of trapmaster style class build that I know I'll never get without DM fiat

>>51902720
Glad I missed that thread lol
>>
>>51901874
No. Really want to, though, but nobody in my group wants to DM.

I'm making do by just taking elements of Zendikar and stuff and putting them in my own setting but it's not the same.
>>
>>51902722
What drawbacks? it sounds to me he's being overly autistic here.
>>51902738
I don't know about you but undead to me means you came back from the dead without divine aid, such as resurrection, or just your corpse did, as in animate dead. Revenant is specifically your soul comes back and possesses a corpse not necessarily your corpse, you don't possess a living person.
>>
>>51902738
People can't be this stupid. It's impossible.
>>
>>51902823
>People can't be this stupid. It's impossible.
You would hope.
>>
>>51902727
how is a druid nuclear?
>>
>>51902877
Twilight Druid + Arcane Cleric = Magic Missile hitting for stupid amounts of damage.

As in 1500+ damage.
>>
>>51902822
>I don't know about you but undead to me means you came back from the dead

Undead to me means type: undead. Derp.
>>
>>51902901
Oh, so you are retarded. My bad.
>>
File: tacticalnucleardruid.png (53KB, 1875x631px) Image search: [Google]
tacticalnucleardruid.png
53KB, 1875x631px
>>51902877
>>
How do you guy fit Dragonborn into your setting? I'm playing a Stone Sorcerer in my next game and nobody in my groups ever played one so I figured I'd give it a go. Problem is I know nothing about their fluff or lore.
>>
>>51902901
All the stereotypes I heard about in /osr/ general are actually true, it seems.
>>
>>51902921
I brought this up to my DM, and he said it's bullshit.

Apparently he says you can't convert the Necrotic damage into thunder or lightning.
>>
>>51902823
>assert stuff about a race having certain abilities
"Where does it say that?"
>LMAO U R IDIOT
ok
>>
>>51902961
You can as a Lore Mastery Wizard.
Which is what that build is using IIRC.
>>
>>51902743
Anyone got any input on this?
>>
>>51902973
Putting a lot of words in my there mouth buddy.
>>
>>51903019
Not at all, the argument is "you want proof? you're an idiot"
>>
>>51898640
>>51899491

I'm currently DMing Cuse of Strahd for my friends and so far I've had to put as much effort as a hombrew campaing, I find the book very poorly organized
>>
File: DDPregnancyChart (1).jpg (195KB, 1017x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DDPregnancyChart (1).jpg
195KB, 1017x1024px
>>51902943
Dragons can, and will, breed with anything that moves.

That's how it is, has been, and probably will be. forerver.
>>
>>51903050
I find that to be very common.
>>
>>51903052
>nymphs and dryads are also turbosluts
>sprites can breed with every race and just three "maybes" despite being half a foot tall
The Fey were a mistake
>>
>>51903048
I wasn't a part of any argument, I was just amazed by the depths of stupidity humanity has reached.
>>
File: Berserk.jpg (119KB, 640x382px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk.jpg
119KB, 640x382px
How can I get 20 AC as a monk by level 4?

A player in my group got incredibly upset that the lone girl we met in a bunker turned out to be an adventuring monk, which he only found out when he attempted to kill her for sacrifice to his Yuan-Ti God. He then bitched about how having 20 AC was bullshit and that he was "being punished for not being a Lawful Good Paladin like usual," and that he "should be allowed to make stupid mistakes if (my high INT, Low WIS Wizard) can be an idiot, too."

So what the fuck can I throw at that to call bullshit?
>>
>>51903108
>How can I get 20 AC as a monk by level 4?
Roll stats, get two 18s, take a +2 dex or +2 wis race, up the other at 4th level.
>>
>>51903070
what do you mean, the poorly organized book or the amount of effort required to run something that is supposed you to make your game easier?
>>
>>51902961
Yeah, reading closely there's an argument for it.
"When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning,
necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list"
"When you roll damage for a spell, you can increase that damage by spending dice from the pool."
So one can say that it works like this
>you cast the spell
>get the prompt to change damage with lorewiz feature
>then you roll damage
>get the prompt to add damage with the twilight druid feature
>it doesn't interact and the tactical nuke breaks down
idk if that's how it works tho
>>
>>51903108
But wasn't he allowed to make stupid mistakes if he tried to attack a stranger that turned out to be a monk? Any reason it has to be level 4?
>>
File: 1471669793279.jpg (121KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
1471669793279.jpg
121KB, 500x393px
>>51903077
>mfw I grab a fairy and jerk off all over it
>mfw it shows up two months later demanding marriage due to pregnancy
>mfw I have Enlarge/Reduce person
>>
>>51903132
The latter. Modules/adventure paths rarely do anything other than statblocks to make the DM's role easier.
>>
>>51902961
Even if that's bullshit bcause of, say, >>51903159 it's still possible to do normal nuclear druid which is plenty bullshit.
>>
>>51903223
So you can be 1 size category different instead of 2 for all of 1 minute?
>>
>>51903172
I want to assume that they're equal to the party level right now, so I can argue it based on any level at our area.

And he considers having to fight with her to be "a DM entrapment punishment," as he reasons it would make sense that this lone woman in a bunker during a thunderstorm would be weak, and not an obvious powerful character because "durr what are cliches." Insists that that's what a Chaotic Evil Yuan-Ti Paladin would do. Refuses to accept how idiotic that was after going into the session complaining about the Druid after they attacked a Bloodborne-like beast that was talking to us in a city where everyone else was killed/dissipated.

Needless to say, I want NO wiggle room.

>>51903131
That could work with Humans, if you take the secondary option of +2 to anything and a feat. So it's completely possible. Thank you.
>>
>>51903100

Right, your argument is
>you want proof? ur stupid
>>
>>51903275
>implying one min isn't all I need
>>
>>51903299
That isn't something to be proud of.
>>
>>51903223
1 minute-long sex
ugh
>>
>>51903287
Thanks for proving my point again I guess?
>>
>>51903324
Let's be fair.

Maybe he has metamagic.

He could go for a while with that.
>>
>>51903275
>DM not allowing you to upcast enlarge/reduce for a longer duration
>>
>>51903223
>>51903275
>>51903299
>>51903320
>>51903324
>>51903341
>>51903345
Who even needs Enlarge / Reduce person?

Brethren not even into minigirls, what the fuck. I thought we all were fucking degenerates.
>>
>>51903364
this
>not wearing your waifu as a condom
>>
>>51903364
maybe you should head to /pigfucker general/
>>
>>51903376
Deviancy infested D&D long before Pathfinder.
Remember: it was the backstory of Dwarves for TWO WHOLE EDITIONS that they ran around kidnapping human women to impregnate and perpetuate their race, since Dwarven women weren't fertile enough
>yfw there's a bunch of human supremacists running around who don't realize they're actually 1/8th Dwarf
>>
>>51903399
But that table from earlier in the thread said that dwarves and humans couldn't reproduce?
>>
>>51903399
Yeah, but /pfg/ makes the great service of containing most of it. /5eg/ is a family-friendly general and should remain so.
>>
>>51903421
That just makes it worse.
>>
File: boef.jpg (455KB, 904x1229px) Image search: [Google]
boef.jpg
455KB, 904x1229px
>>51903421
That's from the Book of Erotic Fantasy, not an official D&D supplement.
Official D&D already has the aforementioned Dwarven lore for Forgotten Realms and Muls (sterile human-dwarf hybrids) in Dark Sun.
>>
>>51903444
This kinda gets me thinking about whether or not D&D is "family friendly". I think the products are generally said to be 10+, but the sort of violence involved in the typical D&D game seems a lot higher than what would be allowed in anything else aimed at children, like a cartoon or something. Maybe it doesn't count because none of it is actually being visibly depicted?
>>
>>51899359
>the only arcane half caster is a weeaboo combat autist
no
>>
>>51903474
>your movie or TV show can have blood and murder and death all over the place
>but don't dare show a tit
>>
So I'm playing as a trickster warlock character, so I choose an Archfey as my patron.

Unfortunately, it seems that Archfey sucks compared to other options. Could anyone recommend some balanced homebrew options for warlock archfey that my DM might go for?
>>
>>51899697
Literally just finished playing this. Im at lvl 3 so no lucky feat yet but telling the dm no on a roll is amazing
>>
File: pygmy.jpg (134KB, 360x290px) Image search: [Google]
pygmy.jpg
134KB, 360x290px
>>51900399
I like my halflings as primitive jungle pygmies that are rarely seen, but occasionally get swept up into wild adventures that they can return to tell their tribe about a la The Gods Must Be Crazy.
>>
>>51903482
Well yeah.

Avatar had genocide as part of the plot but they never showed it, and that was for kids.
>>
>>51903506
-it doesn't
-use the UA
>>
>>51903506
I wouldn't say there's a notable powergap between archfey and fiend/GOOlocks. However, once you start including overpowered UA options, yes, it's not as good as some of those.

If you use the latest UA, there's an archfey-only invocation that slows enemies hit by eldritch blast by 10ft. That's crazy powerful if you also have 10ft pushback, I'd say.
>>
>>51903518
>prepping for my Wild West campaign
>halflings are Indians (dot; orcs are the feather Indians) from a jungle landmass off the coast of not!South Carolina
>>
>>51903474
The game depends entirely on the DM. If you're playing for 10yo, you'll set the tone to something more noblebright, "let's be heroes", where you mostly knock out enemies, send them running, and the BBEG doesn't rape and slaughter little kids to summon an eldritch horror to usher an age of darkness and despair
>>
>>51903566
Man, have you seen TV these days? Eldritch horror rape and slaughter is baby shit for a 10yo.
>>
>>51903595
>have you seen TV these days
no fampai
>Eldritch horror rape and slaughter is baby shit for a 10yo
then there's no problem with the D&D content
>>
Can't be bothered to mark everyone up.

Made a newer version of the Soulbound Undead race. Still need some fluff to fill the second page proper, and still would probably need to cut at least some of those features down. There are less features than with elves, but it still feels just too much with all that text there.

Hell, I cut down the sizes of some features.

Do say if I need to redo some features, such as undying, but I think having both Undying AND Undead Fortitude was a bit much in >>51900835

I'm still just trying to go for the sweet spot of enough fluff but not too much power or sucking.
>>
File: 1436642256405.jpg (628KB, 1000x1235px) Image search: [Google]
1436642256405.jpg
628KB, 1000x1235px
hey guys i have tome of beasts. where should i upload it so it can get added to the trove?
>>
>>51903677
Its already in there senpai
>>
>>51903687
where? cant seem to find it
>>
>>51903687
>>51903705
wait nm, found it.
>>
>>51900158
>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
Would you rather have just the relevant changes in or add the entire thing in?
Also, what should I do for Wild Sorc 18?
>>
>>51902489
No UA allowed.
>>
Is anyone else mildly disappointed that Tales from the Yawning Portal has Tomb of Horrors instead of something like Secret of Bone Hill or Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Or maybe Silver Princess.
>>
Gonna run my first campaign as a DM soon, pretty excited.

Thanks to an anons who helped me with a few things here and there while I was writing it. You guys are the real MVP's
>>
>>51903994
>barbarian/rogue
never die
>champion/paladin
triple the chance for critsmites
>sorcerer/warlock
quicken EB for days
>bard/warlock
all the utility of a bard with the damage of a lock
>>
Can a paladin fall without turning evil, and if so, what stats would he use?
I'd like to make an NPC, a former paladin who couldn't take the pressure of his oaths, and has fallen, but isn't evil, just weak-willed. So I can't use the Oathbreaker class (must be evil), and anyway it's not the kind of feel I'm going for.
Could I knock him down a few levels from where he would be and make him a fighter?
>>
Since I'm likely removing some armors and potentially dropping the cap on AC, I've been thinking about at least adding a minor goodie for archers and lancers, namely targes as a +1 AC (melee only) shield that can be strapped on the forearm, but roughly same price as a shield.
>>
>>51904093
I would just remove oath specific abilities.
>>
Found this art in my folder, should I use it for a two-handed Bugbear Ranger or a Goliath Barbarian in my next game?
>>
>>51904093
Depends what your definition of 'fall' is.

A paladin could easily break their oath but still be good. Just a flawed good.

A paladin could easily 'fall' to being neutral.

And, in any case, even the PHB paladin oaths could start out evil in the first place.

>>51904106
It'd be easier to see the list of changes to armours first to work out how that works.
Also
>Shields not held in hand
>>
File: 635032480863248899.jpg (110KB, 640x804px) Image search: [Google]
635032480863248899.jpg
110KB, 640x804px
>>51904117
Fucking hell. I'm not on the ball today.
>>
>>51904119
>>51904106
Well, to be more specific on
>Strapped shields

The only benefit a shield you don't hold in your hand would give is perhaps ranged cover.
Which is exactly the opposite of melee-only AC.

See, in melee, if you don't have proper movement of your shield (it's just strapped to your arm) it's simply a glorified piece of arm armour. Any melee combatant can pretty safely ignore it as it can't move to intercept properly.

At range, it might block an arrow from passing by over your forearm and into your shoulder or something, or a bolt that would penetrate the armour, but it's barely worth +1 AC with that regard since it probably won't be hit unless the archer is firing from the side and misses your body anyway.
>>
>>51904093
Oath of Treachery. UA stuff

>>51904106
>nerfing strength even more!
noise
>>
>>51904119
>It'd be easier to see the list of changes to armours first to work out how that works.
Full Plate and Half-Plate are go because they're too late for the time period I'm emulating

>Shields not held in hand
Hey, at least I'm not calling it a buckler.
>>
>>51898640
Hey /5eg/. How do you guys generally find groups to play with?
>>
>>51904184
For about four years, I've had a constant group of complete assholes to play with. Since we're all so toxic, we don't have anyone to play with but each other, though occasionally I do find some newbies.
I'm barely tolerating them, they're barely tolerating me, so it's pure harmony.
>>
>>51904182
>At least it's not a buckler
True, targe sounds more accurate if it were to be there.

If you're taking out the plate armours, I suppose you could simply confer a +1 AC benefit for helmets and such, or some sort of reinforcements, like breastplate except you add a load of extra armour so it becomes stealth disadvantage but +1 AC, or splint mail except you just add on even more armour.
>>
>>51904164
Yeah, I might just make it easier to get in place rather than actually usable properly with a polearm or a bow.
>>
>>51904202
well.. how did you find these assholes?
>>
>>51903506
You could I guess instead of the AoE fear/charm, could instead get something to do with trickery and mischief. Just give double proficiency in deception and nothing else.
>>
>>51904184
Only ever play with people you already know
>>
>>51904141
Goliath Barbarian definitely.
>>
>>51904208
I like both ideas honestly.

I figure going full Dendra panoply would probably grant some armor bonus.
>>
File: toad sage.png (875KB, 861x532px) Image search: [Google]
toad sage.png
875KB, 861x532px
>>51902299
Moon Druid Shadow Monk
>>
>>51904119
>And, in any case, even the PHB paladin oaths could start out evil in the first place.

How so?
>>
>>51904216
We all know each other for a long time - we've played together in russian WoW roleplaying community. Our DM gathered us all when he got the idea of playing DnD.
>>
>>51904267
Oath of Vengeance, or Ancients, could both be evil in their methodology it would just require some slight modification to the Ancients oath, but vengeance can go full evil from the word go.
>>
>>51904267

LE and CG can behave pretty much identically. CG, LN, CN, and LE and are all essentially the same alignment, and if LG behavior is condoned by society, then all of the above can be the same.
>>
>>51900693
Yes.
>oh but no, my character is a telekinetic, no class fits that well.
>how about soccerer or monk?
Horrible example because none of the classes fit that. It's why people are still waiting on the Mystic to come out.
>>
>>51904267
Nowhere in the paladin class it says "You must be lawful good" or even "You must be good". Sure, the oaths are sometimes tricky to follow when you're evil, but it's mostly managable - especially for crown and vengeance - and you don't even swear an oath until level 3 (a great design flaw in my opinion)
>>
im playing a raven queen patron warlock. should my raven be able to do anything a familiar can or can it just attack for 1 damage?
>>
>>51904267
There's a bit of word skewing you'd need to do, but by RAW you could twist the worlds or simply say 'I follow the oath because adhering to a conduct gives me power' and go lawful evil.

Vengeance is by far the easiest to turn evil, the only thing that could possibly take them out of their evil zone being having to help those who were wronged by their target of hate, which could well mean 'Hey, I'm going to train you to fuck them up next time they show up' and could mean 'Hey, orcs, you got bullied by elves, so let's start a warband' or something.

Ancients and devotion are a lot harder, but ancients could well be a 'secretly evil clown' type, and devotion could be a someone who's holding it in so they can reach the top of the paladin order ladder then wreck shit or something.

Pretty much as other anon says, there are no alignment requirements, but the oaths steer you towards certain alignments.
>>
>>51904184
Have friends. If you don't, go to a community college. Odds are 50/50 you get a DnD group, and odds are high it'll be 5e. You don't even have to go to classes, but you can lie about it if you want.
>>
How can one play a shadow sorcerer without feeling like a 13 year old on a powertrip?
>>
>>51904184
I kmow that a lot of places are lame, but check out big gaming stores in your city

I met a lot of people at this great local place, you could just come in and play when nothing was seduced to go on, and there were plenty of scheduled D&D nights for a few editions. Of course, this is all moot for you if you don't have any place like that
>>
>>51904454
>>51904454

New thread

>>51904454
>>51904454
>>
>>51904397
Don't worry, you are a sorcerer, no one will consider it a power trip.
>>
File: Awaken Undead.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Awaken Undead.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51903675
Have you seen this?
>>
>>51903999
Not really. Even if ToH is a meme module, it has a long and storied history as part of Tabletop Gaming.
>>
/5eg/ help me figure out a power for my wild magic sorcerer

The theme i'm going for is power with a price. Like for my Fighter i'm thinking about an ability that gives an improved dodge for a round in exchange for a level of exhaustion.

Problem is I can't figure out something for my Sorcerer that isn't lame.

His goals are that he want's to discover the origins of his strange powers. My reason for his powers is that he's a interplanar tear that leads to the elemental plane of chaos.

Anyone have any ideas on a useful power that can be thematically tied to that?
>>
>>51904588
I think I have, but forgot about it and couldn't find it while and after making my own.

Well, it isn't surprising there are some similarities, it's derived from the same idea after all.

I shared the newer version in the new thread but got booed out pretty hard. Well, happens... I need to double-check all the features, I think I forgot to put the undead type there. Shite.
>>
To fix sorcerers, give them a slightly expanded spell list and 2 more spells known per level.

Would it be enough? Would it be over kill?
>>
>>51904885
>Like for my Fighter i'm thinking about an ability that gives an improved dodge for a round in exchange for a level of exhaustion.

That's a raw deal, unless the enemy would one shot them.
Lower chance to get hit in exchange for disadvantage on all ability checks for just the first one, and it gets worse from there.

I'd have to be in dire straights to use it, especially as you only lose 1 level per long rest.
>>
>>51905040
2 more spells PER LEVEL? You mean, that they would know substantially more spells than Wizards, at every possible level?

Or do you mean two more spells by spell level, to the total of 33 at 20?

What you need, friend, is regenerating Sorcerous points, or a spell-point Sorcerer.
>>
>>51904951
What the fuck is with the Autism on type: undead?
>>
>>51905140
I don't think anyone has ever told me exactly what makes spell points help a sorcerer so much. Can someone spell it out for me?
>>
>>51905436
It's not really about helping, it's more about the flavor. spell points give a strong sense that they have more freedom with their casting, which is how it should be.

Also, if they regenerate spell points, even if they run out, they can take a nap and be rejuvenated.

>>51905155
I dunno, it's probably more a thing about feel than the actual feature. It makes the race feel much more... Undead-y.

Vague but things of feel are like that. It just feels wrong if an alleged undead is still required to sleep and eat like the others.
>>
>>51905436
As written, sorcerers experience diminishing returns when they convert between spell slots and sorcery points, and they can't create spell slots of level 6 or greater. With spell points they can cast their highest-level spells a bunch of times instead of getting the normal spell progression.
>>
>>51905510
So you need a tag of some sort to make it feel like an undead to you? even if the flavor for it literally states it doesn't need air water sleep or food, and came back from the dead?
>>
>>51905791
I guess, but it also brings drawbacks, such as being unable to be healed by most magic. The idea is that if my undead character is suddenly healed by our Cleric, my years of RPG knowledge just kind of shortcircuit.

But I dunno, I am pretty obsessive on details, I admit that.
>>
>>51905832
so you're bringing 3e 4e idea stuff into 5e, but only because you need the words there to tell you something is what it says it is rather than something else..
>>
>>51905040
I just feel they should have done what they did with the old Favored Soul UA Sorc origin, nerf it slightly and apply it to all sorc origins.

So a fire sorc would automatically get Fireball.

Or they could create new themed abilities that used sorc points, kinda like Dragon Presence, and place them in a seperate category. Then they could remove dragon presence as a level 18 origin ability. Compared to the other origins, it seems weird.
>>
>>51899554

Almost at the end of running PotA right now. My advice:

- The adventure isn't too daunting if you make sure the players don't get too far ahead of themselves. You don't need any special party combo to tackle it.

- The module's organization is a bit slipshod, make sure to bear in mind the side-quests that are offered, both at the start of each chapter and in the appendix.

- The devestation orbs are great macguffins. Blow up a village or two, or at least try to. The wizard in my party fireballed a fire orb, and destroyed half of Red Larch. I remind him at least once a session.

- Make sure the defenses of the elemental temples are active. My players attempted a long rest in the water temple, only to find that the entire host of the water cult had gathered outside the room they had Leomund's Tiny Hutted in. They had to agree to take on the fire cult just to get out of there.

- The delegation plotline can be dropped entirely if it doesn't engage the players. I sure know mine don't give a shit. Right now they're fighting because it means a bigger share of the platinum mine from LMoP.

- Don't let the players stay too long in the temple unless they insist on it. Things can get a bit tedious without some overland stuff to break things up.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.