[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 44

File: alt bgg.png (912KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
alt bgg.png
912KB, 800x800px
Previous thread:
>>51817103

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

We always talk about intro games, or the heavy stuff, what's your best "next step" games /bgg/? When your friends finally agree to start playing and enjoy the light stuff, how fast do you ramp up the weight/time investment? I don't have a third question but something something about mechanics, combining genres, etc.
>>
I think Pandemic is a pretty good "step-up" game, as long as you don't have some asshole alpha gamer. Alot of people reccomend it as gateway but I'd say otherwise because there's alot of things like hand management and players having individual powers that are unique.

Also Resistance Avalon playing with roles is quite a nice stepping stone too
>>
Race for the galaxy vs Roll for the galaxy

which do you prefer? pros/cons of each, what advantages do each have over the other?
>>
>>51873938
Have not played Race, but have read the rulebook and watched some playthroughs

I prefer Roll. Moves faster, things happen much smoother simultaneously, easy to teach and remember (Don't have to teach it again every time you play). Dice are fun, and it's very easy to asses who is where in terms of victory during gameplay.
>>
>>51866857
do you ever mix em up, or do you just play each separately as they came in the their respective boxes?
>>
>>51873723

I'm all about super meaty games, and despise most euros, so I usually straight into the ameritrash grind and see how they turnout. I've got a few simple games like tsuro, but if you can't wrap your head around things like dungeonquest or thunderstone/nightfall/whatever deckbuilder (which I consider to be incredibly simple games), I probably won't enjoy handholding you through every game of the others or conan or whatnot.
>>
>>51873938

Roll, if only for the petty reason that new players don't need to play 3+ games to understand the iconography, unlike Race, because in addition to the iconography, every fucking conponent has a text description of what it does. So difficult for Rio Grande to update newer editions of Race with text descriptions. So, so difficult.
>>
best deckbuilder?
my vote would go towards Clank
>>
>>51874748

Super chill mode? - Dominion
Slight pvp? - Thunderstone
Full pvp? - Nightfall
Comic book fan? - DC deckbuilder
RE fan? - Resident evil deckbuilder
>>
About to try and teach the gf how to play twilight struggle.

wish me luck boys.
>>
>>51873938
I'll throw in a 3rd vote for Roll with much the same reasons as the first anon listed:

1. Ease of learning / teaching. Most players pick up the core game play elements after 1 game. After that it's a matter of exploring all the tile abilities and developing strategies.

2. Speed of play - the game plays very smoothly even with 5 players. A 'long' game with 3 or 4 new players might take an hour. Once everyone knows the basics, a 5 player game can finish up in 30 to 45 minutes.

3. There are enough variables that the game remains interesting rather than becoming 'samey'.
>>
Someone in the previous thread mentioned burke's gambit. I can't quite say if this would be a good purchase for me or not, it looks like it might be fun but i don't know! Anybody care to share their opinions on this one? couldn't find many videos about it
>>
is Krosmaster Quest any good? I like Wakfu and Dofus but I've been hearing mixed things.
>>
>>51873938
I love race, but none of my group likes it. Roll is okay.
>>
>>51874584
>all about super meaty games
>despise euros

You wot mate?
>>
>>51877033
By "meaty" he means "unnecessarily long," look at his name.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (296KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
296KB, 1920x1080px
So can someone redpill me on this looks pretty 10/10.
>>
File: 1479016549630.jpg (260KB, 1520x1520px) Image search: [Google]
1479016549630.jpg
260KB, 1520x1520px
>>51877205
>Cryptozoic

you're better off waiting for the pledge manager for Giga Robo if that happens any time this decade
>>
Fuck eurogames, autistic cubenightmares you play next to your friends instead of with them.

I'm trying to figure out what games to play with my friend on TTS. Probably just the two of us, we might be able to get a third. If we find a third I'm looking at Merchants and Marauders and Fury of Dracula, though I think M&M might be a little too antagonistic for my main friend.

I guess I can try to learn Thunderstone again, I'm just extremely racist against deckbuilders.
>>
>>51877033
>>51877105
Dude is a Talisman fan, that should clue you in to how retarded and lacking of taste he is.
>>
>>51877205
It looks sexy as hell, but Cryptozooic are terminal idiots with game rules, I've never played anything by them that felt remotely inspired.
But there's a first time for anything, I'm waiting on more details.
>>
Is Formula D regarded as the best racing game or are there others that play better?
>>
>>51877534
>thinks playing next to people not v them is autistic
>his faggot friend doesn't' like conflict in games
>thinks not liking a game type makes him racist

you are an absolutely retarded faggot and there is clearly a reason you don't have people to play with irl and are therefore looking for tts games. i sincerely hope you try to defend yourself as the undoubtedly autistic rage with which you respond will sure be hilarious
>>
>>51877825

>thinks playing next to people not v them is autistic
I didn't say vs. I said with, hence Thunderstone.

>his faggot friend doesn't' like conflict in games
He's fine with conflict, but the conflict in M&M is very direct and mean, like Munchkin. There's a difference between beating somebody in a game and killing him, physically taking all his shit off his table, throwing half of it away, and making him start over.

>thinks not liking a game type makes him racist
Sorry, I typed that assuming you weren't autistic.

I hope this post was more direct and literal and won't trigger your robot brain problems.
>>
I need you guys to help me out here, i feel like im under hypnosis...

pyramid arcade... every fiber of my being is saying this is great, buy it. but i can't tell if im being nuts or what...

what's the word on this? seems like a great idea but then again its like 70 bucks so i dont wanna act on impulse
>>
File: Hickok_uzi_on_bike.png (791KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
Hickok_uzi_on_bike.png
791KB, 780x780px
>>51873938
Fucking love roll. Great components, double sided tiles are genius. If you are strictly 2 player only, get race, otherwise Roll every time. Fuck I might like roll at 2 better anyways
>>
File: URozVSW.gif (115KB, 1152x965px) Image search: [Google]
URozVSW.gif
115KB, 1152x965px
How do you all feel about Diplomacy? Any tips and tricks or interesting stories?
>>
>>51873938
Race, of course. Ignore the mongoloid replies. Race is a simple as fuck game, its rules fit on a postcard and are much shorter and more elegant than the rules for Roll.

The only reason people claim that Race is 'complex' is because it's a deep game that rewards skill, you can't just do whatever and hope something comes up.
>>
>>51878193
in relation to this

Does anybody have an idea of how/where i can get my hands on zendo? I'm thinking about buying the pyramid arcade and then just getting extra pyramids and the stones, but even if i dont get the arcade i'd still like components for zendo. unfortunately i can't seem to find somewhere online that has em!
>>
Any excitement for the new entry in the COIN series announced this week? Seems like it has potential to be pretty interesting.
>>
>>51876586
Bump
>>
File: r240982724905.jpg (19KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
r240982724905.jpg
19KB, 499x499px
>>51877957
>he actually broke down an obvious troll post line by line
>still managed to seem like the more autistic person
>proved beyond shadow of a doubt that his shit taste in games is rivaled only by his shit taste in friends

To be fair, it is still painfully obvious that you do not have the luxury of picking and choosing who you consider friends. Also I did laugh at your reply, please reply equally autistically to this post for my entertainment.
>>
>>51874791

Are there any deck building games like yugioh? Something fast paced with mind games... or just fast paced.
>>
>>51877205
of course it looks great and I'm sure the components will be fantastic but for many reasons I do not have high hopes for the game rules. we will know more if/when gameplay videos come out but until then I'm prepared to be disappointed
>>
>>51874748
Valley of the Kings all day erry day.
>>
>>51873938
Race because I'm not a casual babby
>>
>>51878543
i was thinking just getting alien artefacts for my base game and call it complete.
>>
How do you throw games without making it obvious that you're throwing games?

Long story short, I've been going to some game nights with a more casual crowd, and they have shockingly good taste in games, even if they're a bit light. But I keep fucking winning. Some of it is blind luck, but most of it is just me being slightly better than everyone else there, even at the games they claim to be unbeatable at.

With a more hardcore group I wouldn't worry about it, but this crowd is already getting a little salty. I'm being as gracious as I can be when I win, but there's only so much losing a casual can take.

So what are my options here? How do I let other people win and not end up looking like an even bigger asshole? I like the group, they're good folks, but I just don't know how to suck at boardgames.
>>
>>51874748
Baseball Highlights 2045
>>
>>51876586
I like Krosmaster Arena but not Quest. They try hard to mimic the MMO and end up using the worst aspects, just aimless feeling grind. It also feels pretty slapped together.
>>
>>51879785
I think that'll be the nail in the coffin then. Several other people said the same thing. That's a shame.

I'd be tempted to get Arena, but I'm more into co-op than pvp.
>>
>>51879737
You don't
It's not pretty but you're just going to have mercilessly grind them down until they either get better or murder you one evening and dispose of your body into finely crafted board game pieces.
>>
>>51879705
RftG doesn't really need any expansions.
>>
>>51879737
Pick a deliberately difficult or stupid strategy and do your hardest to make it work.
>>
File: image.jpg (385KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
385KB, 1680x1050px
Are there any board games that could be considered cuhrayzee?
>>
>>51880032
no
>>
>>51880032
Catan
>>
>>51879737

What games are you playing?
>>
>>51880032
It depends. If you mean are there any boardgames that emulate character action games then no that's something that I think can't be translated from videogames because it's a very real-time feeling.

There are alot of card games though that build around players doing big fuck-off combos though. Seasons for example has you draft your cards at the start of the match and is all about trying to set up one or two big combos to win the game with.

But to answer the question, no.
>>
>>51879879
But anon, they seem like a group that will stop inviting me before they git gud. I'm not sure they can be ground down.
>dispose of your body into finely crafted board game pieces
There are worse ways to go I guess.

>>51880002
I've tried this, but I guess I'll have to go even more wild. But then I run the risk of it being obvious that I'm aiming to lose, which I worry they may not take well to.

It's a fine line to walk, man. A fine line.
>>
>>51880157
The latter, just something quick/decisive and combo heavy. Seasons looks like it may be up my alley.
>>
>>51880219
BattleCON and Yomi
>>
>>51880219
Yeah seasons is a good choice although it's about an hour long so not really quick or desicisve to be honest. Still fun to set up big combos and then impress your dad as he gets very co fused at what's going on. I can't really think of any other games. Maybe star realms? It plays much faster at least but you din't really have much choice in how your combos play out.
>>
>>51880252
Oh man, both of these sound great
>>51880269
Just finished a review, and I'm pretty sold on it, though you're right, it may be a tad longer than I was initially looking for. Still, it looks like a really good time.

hate to ask for the spoonfeed, but is there a good place to get these games cheap or should I just stick with eBay? Between the three of them I can already feel the pain in my wallet.
>>
>>51880361
Are you from america or uk? If so I know theres boardgameprices and boardgameprices UK. Theres also the bazzar on bgg but I've never used it. I'm sure theres some more comparison sites if you're in a different country too
>>
>>51880372
America, and thanks for the help, checking them out now!
>>
>>51880444
If you're in Aberrica then I know people brag about a website called CoolStuffInc doing sales often? Never used them bevause UK but I'd keep an eye out
>>
>>51877814
I thought Descent was regarded as the best racing game.
>>
>>51880477
Just nabbed it for 38 bucks with shipping, can't wait to play it. it'll be my first /tg/ in years.
>>
>>51880755
Enjoy. It's in my top three, if you have a regular person to play with you can really explore the depth of the game.
>>
>>51880802
I'm blessed with pretty good friends who tend to enjoy this sort of thing...or at the very least will humor me with a couple play throughs.

what are the other two?
>>
>>51879737
"You guys fucking suck at games, I'll just try stupid strats from now on."
>>
>>51881026

Carcassonne and Arkham horror LCG.

I think millennium blades might dethrone one though so ask again in about two days :^)
>>
>>51881196
Arkham Horror LCG looks pretty neat. I might have to give that a go at some point, and I've heard Millennium Blades is really good even if it looks cringey as fuck. Shame it's out of my price range, but I imagine between Seasons and Mage Knight I'll be busy for a while with things to play.
>>
>>51881240
Some of it's a bit cringey but I think the fact that it's so in your face and ungraceful with it that it's really enjoyable. Seasons is great, both MB and it have similar gameplay really but seasons is one big long tournement whereas MB is multiple tournements.

AH LCG is really fun, especially if you have someone to co-op with
>>
>>51881277
Any tips for the core campaign with only a single core set?
>>
>>51879382

Honestly sounds like you should try out netrunner. I wouldn't call it fast but there's certainly mind games. However it's also not a deckbuilder, but an LCG
>>
>>51881576

Play it on easy. You'll probably still get your shit pushed in during Midnight Masks and Devourer Below. Best solo investigator is probably Roland due to his ability to get clues and kill enemies, but his Willpower is shit so beware of Treachery cards.

Also, bring along 2 copies of each of the skill cards, the ones that boost your skill by 2 and let you draw a card if you succeed.
>>
>>51879737

Anon, how can you be very good at these games but not know how to orchestrate a loss? Honest question.

Possessing the skills to win implies that you have the skills to control the situation, so unless you're playing an incredibly random game, it's odd that you would have any trouble.

Maybe it just takes a different skill set than what I'm thinking. Every game I'm good at, I can easily throw. I can walk into an opponents trap, forget the capabilities of my units, make silly gambles with no real benefit. If my opponents are scrutinizing me enough to see what I'm doing, then that's also a bizarre situation, because such an opponent should not be constantly losing.
>>
>>51882000
Easy does seem like the best option until more cards roll in doesn't it. Guess I'll do that then, thanks.
>>
How important is it to have card sleeves?

Is wear and tear really bad enough to require sleeves for card games that aren't CCGs where spergs drop $60 on a single card?
>>
>>51882315
Depends very heavily on the game. Some games include decks which get shuffled constantly and can significantly benefit from sleeves. Others aren't worth even considering. It also depends on how critical it is that cards not get marked in the game.
>>
>>51882315
Roughly, sleeves are for:
1. Protection from spills and grubby hands
2. Protection from rough handling (tapping cards on the table)
3. Mash shuffling, in addition to generally better shuffles

If you don't think you'll face the above problems, or care about it, then feel free to go sleeveless.
>>
How's the writing in TIME Stories? Better than a good thriller movie? Or is it filled with cliches and so on?
>>
>>51879737
Name some of the games
>>
>>51882315
I honestly prefer the feel sleeved, with boardgames I guess its mostly about wether or not the game will be perpetually in print or not and how expensive it is.
>>
>>51882460

The writing in TIME Stories is teenage europeans pretending to be cool 80s Americans level.

Its so bad its unintentionally funny.

TIME Stories is a fun experience because its like a long one nigth interactive story/puzzle but the writing is shit tier.
>>
File: average_russians.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
average_russians.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>51878543
Hypocrite that you are, you fail to mention its quality at a scaling player count while also blowing over the fact that roll is also basically the same game with the same mechanics. I don't think you've played roll desu (maybe because you can't afford it)
>>
>>51883261
If it's 'basically the same' then why get the inferior version??
>>
>>51883522
That's what we're saying. Why buy Race when Roll plays better, faster, and scales extremely well with additional players?
>>
>>51883535
Because Race is the superior game while Roll is if you're a braindead babby.
>>
>>51883593
But anon why would you buy the inferior version when you could get the better game instead? I don't understand!
>>
>>51881196
I've been thinking about getting the Arkham Horror LCG, can you tell why you like it so much?
>>
>>51882315
The only game I've sleeved so far is Space Hulk Death Angel because it's out of print and I don't want to risk ruining the cards without having a way to replace them
>>
>>51877205
Okay, read the rulebook, watched available gameplay videos, and honestly the only significant criticisms I have are dice-resolved combat and MAYBE some potential to be fucked over by card draw order - but the decks seem like they should cycle fairly quick.

Other than that, threats of kickstarter exclusives and potentially very high shipping costs charged after the campaign are worth worrying about.

If I hadn't already known, I don't think I could have guessed the rules were by the morons at Crypto. It's still a very ameritrashy proposition, but the building tagging thing as a second victory condition is almost entirely RNG-less, which should help. I don't know if it'll be GOOD, but it surprisingly doesn't look like total garbage. There's at least a couple layers of mildly interesting decisions to make.
>>
Looking for 3ppl meme game with low downtime, great visuals and 1 hour sessions. Fantasy-themed preferably. Any ideas?
>>
>>51883535
Roll doesn't play better and certainly not faster.

Roll only exists because plebs like the tactile feel of rolling dice. Race's rules are better in every way.
>>
>>51880032
Conan is kinda crazy, but wouldn't recommend on account of 2/3rds of it's current content being Kickstarter exclusive.
>>
>>51883535
Found the Ameritrash millennial.
>>
>>51884176
But anon, Race scales like shit and if you play it with more than three people it's well over an hour and overstays its welcome.

Of course you'd rather ignore that fact and run around saying that Race is objectively superior in every single way and completely miss that I'm mocking you for claiming objective truth in a subjective issue.

Some people prefer Roll over Race. I like it because it is an enormously better game at large player counts (4-5) and my game group always has large player counts. You should try getting over that.
>>
>>51884352
>play it with more than three people it's well over an hour

Maybe if you're all braindead first-timers. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to issue you a citation for being a fucking faggot and tell you to get out.
>>
>>51883830
The mechanics are good, the arts is amazing, story is pretty standard but fun but what really hits it out of the park is how the game goes a long way to really make it feel like you're progressing through a story. It's hard to describe without making you just play through the first scenario
>>
>>51884511
>a game where everybody takes turns sequentially is faster than a game where everybody takes turns consecutively
>being so butthurt that one of the most commonly brought up criticisms of your favorite game isn't a criticism
>>
>>51884352
>if you play it with more than three people it's well over an hour and overstays its welcome.
It does not, you're confusing it with some other game. There's a strict time limit to the game and all player actions happen simultaneously.
>>
>>51884558
a) 'sequentially' and 'consecutively' is the same word, you retard.

b) RftG player actions are simultaneous, read the damn rules again or something.
>>
>>51884558
>that shameless moving of goalposts

Wew lad, you should go work as a groundskeeper with skills like that.
>>
File: frogposting45634.png (442KB, 500x712px) Image search: [Google]
frogposting45634.png
442KB, 500x712px
>>51884352
This

Race is the superior 1v1 game. Any higher player count and roll is a far more enjoyable experience imo

>>51884511
Race takes a bit longer at higher player counts for sure. But its not that much longer. Pretty close to the sane

>>51884859
I think he meant simultaneously. Anyways both games are superb and very similar, so the warring fanboyism for one over the other is ridiculous. Roll is the same game with worker placement mechanics, and race is a slightly more strategic game as well as being a great travel game
>>
>>51883932
I was really hoping we could just shit on this because of the Crypto stamp, thanks for nothing.
>>
>>51885152
Same here, but it's probably worth considering on its own merits or flaws.
I still like Giga Robo better I think, despite strongly preferring one this one's aesthetic and art.
>>
>>51885673
STEEV, Exodus expansion kickstarter, y/n
>>
>>51885102
>I think he meant simultaneously.
I'm pretty sure he's just an idiot and should be ignored.

>Roll is the same game with worker placement mechanics, and race is a slightly more strategic game as well as being a great travel game
Not quite, Roll is a worker placement/engine building game. That's cool, but there's other games in those genres that are arguably better.

Race is something else, it's king of the hill with diminishing returns. Instead of building your engine the goal in Race is to finish first and prevent the other guy from building his engine. (Building engines in Race is a good way to lose the game.) Race is something unique and a work of genius.
>>
>>51885801
I don't have a damn clue.
It doesn't seem anywhere near as good as the first expansion, but they're also threatening to never send it to retail so if you ever want it better go now. Haven't decided what I'll do.
>>
I just ordered Kemet off Amazon, what am I in for?
>>
>>51886019
If the last guy who did that is any indication, missing components and talking to amazon returns.
>>
>>51885868
>Instead of building your engine the goal in Race is to finish first and prevent the other guy from building his engine.
That "race" exists in roll too. Every game I've played has been paced by someone blitzing 12 tiles. Sometime it works, sometimes players are able to get enough of an shipping engine in play to spoil the plan.
>>
>>51886019
This>>51886229 may be true but the game is amazing.

I've played it with people who host twilight imperium games and people who haven't ever played risk or anything more and both groups have loved it. I honestly consider it the best gateway game because it's easy to teach if the people you're teaching are willing to learn but it shows off how much depth can exist in a game.

If nothing else you're in for some fun.
>>
Anyone here ever play hoplomachus or get in on the too many bones kickstarter? I'm a pretty big fan of ricky royals videos, and he praises hoplomachus a lot, and I've been watching his videos of too many bones and it seems like a fun game. But outside of his videos, I don't think I've ever heard anyone even mention chip theory games' stuff. So I'm wondering if he's alone in liking this stuff.
>>
>>51882315
After learning some shuffle tricks I'm of the mentality that it is very, VERY hard to fuck up your cards. At the very worse you may split a tiny piece at the top of your card, but that's not even going to do anything. The cardboard material most cards are made of is pretty durable.
>>
File: IMG_20170224_150051.jpg (591KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_150051.jpg
591KB, 1210x908px
Oh shit, it's christmas up in here. Snow and presents.
>>
>>51887130
What kind of tricks?
>>
>>51887292
Count me jelly
>>
>>51887292
Hey so I'm the kind of person who wants to love this game but I absolutely hate the art with every fiber of my being and I don't understand most of the meta references. Is it worth me picking up the base game or am I so far outside of the target audience I should skip it?
>>
>>51887296
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXn5ppVB2c

These, nothing to extravagant but they require some effort and had me fucking them up several times which put the cards in pretty rough positions.
>>
>>51887292
ARe those expacs hitting retails or is it all KS stuff?

>>51887130
If you play with randoms/strangers sleeves are mandatory.
>>
>>51887444
Oh... you're right about that. I take back what I said.

>tfw you have a friend that's literally cheeto hands
>>
>>51887331
I hear people ask this all the time, and I don't understand why some people seem to dislike the art so much, but regardless, I'm just gonna TLDR it and say that if you think the gameplay is for you, get it, and get over the artstyle and references. They shouldn't detract from the game for you.
>>
>>51887331
That's a hard question to answer. If you can't put it aside, it will be in your face a lot. I understand the hate on certain packs, most of the card art is fine to me in a Yu-Gi-Oh kinda way. It's a little themeless at times and certain packs are far worse than others but you select packs before the game begins to use and you have enough to leave out the worst offenders of the "joke cards". They designed the Core Set with this in mind. They're the cards that are always included and they are basically the least jokey of the joke cards. Plus they're usually half the cards you're ever going to see in the store.

If it really makes you cringe that hard, it pains me to say it but you'll not like it. If you can put it aside to play a fun game or if it's only a few major examples that piss you off, you'll be fine.

>>51887444
They said some of the promo stuff would hit stores in america, depends really on what stores order them. Safest bet is their website right now but I would keep an eye on when this finally hits Coolstuffinc.
>>
>>51887506
I get where you're coming from but if I won't understand the joke references will I just be sitting here wondering wtf or will I still understand why the card was made? I get that the gameplay aspect is great but am I thoroughly alienated if I look at cards and think to myself "this is some retarded shit?"
>>
>>51887630
If you like...
>fine to me in a Yu-Gi-Oh kinda way.
.. you might like

> He's a decent person in a Charles Manson kind of way.
> Heterosexual in a OP kinda way
> Groundbreaking in a Munchkin kind of way
>>
>>51887989
I'm the person he was responding to, and i understand what you're saying. my main question is if i don't get the references on the cards am i too alienated to enjoy the theme or is it not too hard to overlook the theme and enjoy the game for just the mechanics?
>>
File: 1478190174438.png (100KB, 639x489px) Image search: [Google]
1478190174438.png
100KB, 639x489px
>>51887989
>>
>>51887989
I said fine, I wasn't exactly giving it high praise, just saying it serves it's purpose. In their aim to make a parody CCG, they used Yu-Gi-Oh as a basis.

Look, if you're this much of a sperg, don't get it. It's clear what side of the line you fall on. You won't enjoy it so don't worry about it.
>>
>>51887942
>>51888149
Of course you can enjoy the game for the mechanics. The references are there for fun for people who get them, otherwise why do you even care if they're references? All it is to you is a cardgame in an alternate universe. It's not like most of the original cards have any DEEP LORE in them
>>
>>51888149
The jokes aren't an essential part of enjoying the game. If you can put it aside, the game holds up just fine. I only advise against it if it actively annoys you and makes you mad like some people around here.
>>
>>51888163
I understood this the art isfine just as Yu-Gi-Oh's art is fine.

I just think that Yu-Gi-Oh's art is atrocious
>>
>>51888176
>>51888218
good answers, thanks
>>
>>51888225
the art is terrible, i don't think anyone really debates that unless they are deep fanboy status
>>
>>51884007
Meme game? Munchkin fills your criteria.
>>
>>51884007
Kingdom Death
>>
>>51887292
Fuck, I want one so badly. I just have to wait for stores to get it in stock
>>
File: IMG_20170224_170554.jpg (549KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_170554.jpg
549KB, 1210x908px
And finished sorting minus the mini expansions. Need more of those ziplock bags to finish that. My idea to keep packs together without rubber bands. Kinda annoying that their manual had such a poor count of cards. There was 1 extra new core card more than the manual said but 1 less pack buff card. I assume those must've gotten mashed together without a proper description. One of the promos confused me for a bit because it had 8 cards instead of 6. Other than all that, only 1 card missing I'll have to send an email for and it's not a big deal. I suppose it's nice the set rotation box is nice looking because I don't think I can fit it all in the original box like this.
>>
>>51889440
Ugh, I wish the base game box was juuuuust a hair deeper to allow for a good insert and card dividers. I'm not a fan of bags for cards. I'll probably make an insert deep enough for cards + dividers and just let the box top sit up.
>>
>>51884007
Meme game as in full of inside jokes?

Best two I can think of:
Any version of fluxx that suits your fancy
Boss Monster
>>
>>51889510
Yeah. Not a fan that it's just barely deep enough to fit the cards sideways. I'm ok with the bag system, got the idea from Spyfall, but it's not ideal for a lot of people.
>>
File: 1485846205639.png (322KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485846205639.png
322KB, 600x600px
>>51887292
I live 3 hours away from the distribution center, why the fuck am I not getting mine til monday?
>>
>>51889972
I know that feeling. When Mechs Vs Minions was shipping, I was one of the last to get it despite it shipping from Wisconsin and living in Minnesota.
>>
>>51882460
It's written like your average point and click adventure video game - mainly just describing things, nothing much to be critiqued - because, you know, that's what the game basically is.
>>
>>51883865
How'd you sleeve it and still fit it in the box? Not even all the expansions fit in the box unsleeved.
>>
File: attackontitandbg.jpg (3MB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
attackontitandbg.jpg
3MB, 2160x1440px
Has anyone heard of or played the attack on titan deck building game?
>>
>>51885868
Roll is literally the same thing retard.
>>
File: quodd heroes.jpg (194KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
quodd heroes.jpg
194KB, 680x680px
Anyone here backing this or knows a lot about the game? It looks cool and might back it if someone here can convince me.
>>
>>51889440
The Meeple Realty insert works beautifully. Pic related is my copy that I just spent all day getting set up. Base game, Set Rotation, all five Mini Expansions, all sleeved in KMC Perfect Fits (penny sleeve thickness). There is about ~2mm of box lift when I put the box lid on -- it's not zero, but it's so little I don't care.

I didn't even have to build the store deck ahead of time to get it in there, although it loosened it up a lot once I did.
>>
>>51891727
Kinda jealous but I like having all these packs sperate. Means I just layout all the ones I have and ask people which they want to use.
>>
>>51889440
What plastic baggies are those?
I need to organize my shit
>>
Are there any decent budget mecha games?
>>
>>51893119
Some of these come from my ziplock drawer. Ever since I got a /tg/ side, I started storing extra ziplocks of all sizes into a drawer. Fantasy Flight floods you with em. I did go to eBay for the individual booster sets and starter decks and everything.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/3-quot-x-4-quot-4-Mil-Clear-Plastic-Zip-Bag-Ziplock-Bag-Reclosable-/142195376415?varId=441262641468&txnId=1371364943004
3x4 fits like a glove.
>>
>>51893424
Should be noted it fits like a glove for the very small amount of cards Millennium Blades sets come with. Anything over like groups of 15 cards will need a bigger bag. If you are looking to store Millennium Blades like I do, 100 bags covers all of set rotation and the base game but not quite enough for the mini packs.
>>
>>51893424
>>51893515
>100 bags covers all of set rotation and the base game but not quite enough for the mini packs.
Nigga what? How many sets are there right now with everything?
>>
>>51893535
Base game and Set Rotation, things I use these bags for:
12 starter decks
40 booster sets
19 promo packs
10 characters
4 boss decks
>>
>>51893604
Thanks, i bought the 100 shits hopefully i can fit them all.
>>
Just came away from my second play of set rotation/the mini expansions. We tried a houseruled variant where we mixed together all the bronze silver and gold promos into their respective stacks and used those as the 3 piles we were allowed to pull from, because there's so many new promos and we wanted to try and burn through them to see some new shit. It was fun though I dunno if that's necessarily balanced.

We're also trying to decide which of the new sets we like and which we want to take out. We were using more or less the same store deck for a while because it had a good variety of cards we enjoyed, but last week switched everything out in place of the new stuff. Gotta say that so far, we don't really like penny dreadful, urrgh, shonen leap, fast, and while we like some of the cards, don't like the power of the 2 star and 6 star cards in saved by the 90's. So we're gonna start to mix in some of the older sets again to fine tune the store to our liking.

Really liking the number of cool clash cards there are now, and it seems like a lot of the new cards are geared toward more experienced players that know how to combo things a little better. The new characters are all really unique too which is fun, and holy shit having new promos is amazing. As much as ill complain that I'll never see all the promos played, that's just as easily a really good thing. If I didn't have a work meeting in like 5 hours and need to sleep I'd play again just to see some more promos played.
>>
>>51893851
You threw in all the new core cards I take it?
>>
>>51893851
>houseruled variant
Stopped reading there. Why buy a game if you don't want to play it by the rules?
>>
>>51894379
This game has a lot of easy ways to change it subtly. This isn't a huge deal, he's playing with all the normal rules, just using more cards than usual for the promo deck setup. The game doesn't hinge on the promo deck being a certain size.
>>
>>51894379
Ever play the game? If you did, you would know that the variant we made was barely changing it, all it allowed for was a couple more cards to be cycled through so we can see some of the new content. The only difference is now the stacks weren't going to run out of cards, but we never had that happen anyway cause we never buy that many promos.

>>51894328
Yeah. The new rules actually have you add in 1 more of each set because of that, and there aren't enough new expansion and premium sets, so we kept in obari as hell and xeno xover as those are 2 of our favorites (particularly obari as all the cards are generally pretty solid and can be combo'd easily). Next week we're still gonna keep mostly new sets, but switch out the ones I said we're not crazy about and put a few of the older sets we like back in. I wouldn't say any of the new sets are BAD so to speak. None of the sets are necessarily bad. But certain sets do work better combined with others in the store.

The penny dreadful set for example has a lot of cards that revolve around revealing your hand/discarding cards. On it's own, it's mediocre, but I can totally see it being fun if you also mixed in sets like the pirates, the zelda set, and clockwork empire (all sets that revolve around revealing/discarding cards).
>>
File: 1398302658783.jpg (304KB, 1200x763px) Image search: [Google]
1398302658783.jpg
304KB, 1200x763px
Can anyone recommend some decent board or card games to me that won't destroy my bank account?

Games are so expensive nowadays, like $50-$100. I don't have that kinda cash laying around.
>>
>>51895774
There is a lot of stuff out there, what kind of games do you like?

Lots of party games like Sushi Go Party and Codenames can be gotten very cheap.

Otherwise:
Star Realms/Hero Realms
7 Wonders: Duel
Ogre: Pocket Edition (hex & chit that costs $3, probably as budget as you can get)
Welcome to the Dungeon
Lotus
Forbidden Desert
Boss Monster
>>
>>51895774
Patchwork is cheap.
>>
>>51895774
Resistance avalon isnt too costly desu
>>
>>51895774
+1 for forbidden desert
also most LCG starters are actually pretty fun just out of the box and are usually 30 or less.
There's always games like sushi go and stuff as well.
Onitama, The Duke, Hive may be a little of the higher end but you could make your own set for cheap.
>>
>>51895774
Hanabi is a good and cheap game
>>
>>51895774
check some thrift stores. You can get some small or or more mainstream games for $3-$8. Games I saw recently. 5 second rule, 12 Days, Qwirkle.

Or you can even just get app versions for a couple bucks when they have sales. I have Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Smallworld, Catan, Splendor, and Ghost Blitz. I'll probably never buy a physical version of any of those games except Ghost Blitz now that I have the apps.
>>
Any list of recommendations on eldritch lore type board games?
>>
>>51893392
Arsenal: Arena combat
>>
I've been going through my collection and I've noticed that I have a lot of light games but nothing too heavy. What are some popular heavy games that you all enjoy playing?
>>
Just played my first game of Not Alone. I definitely recommend it, it's a total madhouse. The primary mechanic is just hide and seek, but the shittalking is great, since you'll have maybe 5 Hunted players all laughing as the Alien player doesn't manage to catch a single one of them. Combined with the provided plot, you'll basically be sniping back and forth the whole time going "Why have you been in your Lair the last three turns? You're supposed to be chasing us you lazy beast!" "Why don't you just come to my Lair and chill with me if you want my attention so much? I've got nachos, it's great. I don't get why you want to leave my planet in the first place." etc.

Scales well, worth many laughs, definitely a good deal.

>>51898547
What are your definitions of light and heavy in this example?
>>
>>51898586
I guess by heavy I was thinking of games like Kemet and Terra Mystica (both games I'm wanting to get). To me light games would be Carcassone, Hanabi, and co-op games. Feel free to correct my definitions of them
>>
>>51898708
Kemet is midweight. Even Terra Mystica for me is midweight.

I'd say TI3, Starcraft, GoT, Dominant Species, Through the Ages are heavy weight games.

StarCraft might be hard to get but highly recommended. Haven't played TI3, GoT is average, Dominant Species is very good, and Through the Ages is satisfying as fuck if you can put it on the table. I'd consider it only a 3p game, though.
>>
>>51898758
So 'heavyweight' is just code for 'ameritrash'?
>>
>>51899326
Maybe for some anons, but I still feel the BGG weight rankings are pretty good at giving you an idea of what's heavy/light/mid. 1-2.5ish light, 2.5-3.5ish mid, 3.5+ can usually be defined as heavy.

Also TM might be "middleweight" for some but I'd bet the majority of gamers you ask today would agree it's heavy, there's a lot of time invested and it can cause serious AP.
>>
Does /bgg/ liek the kemet expansion?
>>
>>51899326
>Dominant Species
>Through the Ages
>Ameritrash

No no anon, those are actually good games. Ameritrash is dice chucker garbage for retards.
>>
>>51895774
Print and play is your friend.
Battlecon takes a bit of time to get going, but you just need to print out like 7 cards for each character you want to add.
I use penny sleeves and bulk MTG cards when PnP games, since it's what I have lying around.
>>
>>51898758
Looks like we've got a badass over here.

Kemet is indeed heavy, and decent.
>>
>>51900463
>Kemet is indeed heavy
Kemet is barely a step up from Smallworld, which is universally considered a light game. The only thing 'heavy' about Kemet is how much table space it eats.
>>
>>51899879
Very much. Never play without the fourth pyramid color as an absolute minimum now.
>>
>>51880032

Only if the board game is in real time. Like Space Alert.
>>
>>51899326
Jesus man I explicitly set out to give two examples of both ameritrash end euro games.
>>51900463
Kemet is a very good game. One of my favorites, even though I hate FFAs (I am the "ask me about chip taking mechanic guy").

That doesn't make it heavy, in fact considering how many things it has going on I'd consider it the pinnacle of game design seeing how much managed to pack into a relatively light game.

Light game != deep
e.g checkers, poker
Light game != bad
e.g Welcome to the Dungeon
>>
File: taekwon-robots.jpg (46KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
taekwon-robots.jpg
46KB, 450x338px
Are there any board games that are centered around the concept of robots beating the shit out of each other?
>>
>>51903771
Maybe you've heard of Battletech?
>>
I'm looking to purchase Ascension. What should I start out with?
>>
>>51903771
Not a lot, there's only been a few notable mecha titles recently from kickstarter, two of which are the Giga Robo thing and failed-to-get-the-Armored-Core-license game.

Speaking of which, any news on the latter?
>>
>>51903989
The cool thing about ascension is you can literally start anywhere and be satisfied because every set (barring the 3 small sets) are standalone, and there are 10 of them. I can tell you that one of the best ones is realms unraveled followed by maybe dreamscape. But frankly all of the sets are pretty unique and bring something to the table, and I wouldn't really put one above the other in most cases. The only thing I would say is maybe look into what unique mechanics each set has and choose the one that appeals to you the most. The only majorly different set, if you can even call it major really, would be the 3rd set, which revolves around a new resource called energy that was only in that one set. It's a really cool mechanic IMO but maybe not the best for your first set of ascension.

Personally, I own all 10 plus the small box expansions. It's the game that got me into heavier board games and I love it for that, even if I don't play it nearly as much as I used to. I started with the base set, which was fine, but I can easily see myself having enjoyed any of them to begin with.
>>
File: Frame Wars.png (1MB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Frame Wars.png
1MB, 752x1063px
>>51903771
I'm really hoping Frame Wars turns out to be great. It's not out yet, there's like negative amounts of information available on it, but it's an upcoming L99 game about exactly what you're talking about with a very tongue in cheek mecha anime theme.
>>
>>51903771
>>51904407
Did some more digging, came up with this photo of a playtest version of the game. Seems to be grid based movement, some unit/equipment customization, and maybe a hand of action cards maybe. L99 Games is a solid studio, so I trust them to come out with something good. It just may take a moment.

http://fontesmakua.deviantart.com/journal/About-Frame-Wars-392784745
>>
>>51903952
I was hoping for something more in print.
>>
>>51905585
>Battletech
>Out of print
Wat
>>
>>51905761
To be fair battletech is owned by a company I would be loathed to give money to.

And the players base is aggressively autistic.
>>
What are some good games that can be played solo that have a lot of staying power. I already have Space Hulk Death Angel and I know all co-ops can be played solo, but I'm more wondering how many games were made to be played on your own.
>>
>>51907209
Try deep space d6.
>>
>>51901166
Yo STEEV, GKR:Heavy Hitters is getting a solo mode. Thoughts?
>>
Well, me and my wife just played Kemet for the first time (1v1) and she liked it. Went better than expected, I obviously destroyed her tho.
>>
>>51907257
I really don't play much solo /tg/, if friends aren't over I'm probably just doing vidya. And they aren't writing the solo rules until later, so no way to judge quality. For some people it'll be a big feature presumably.

Still not sure where I sit on the game as a whole. The positioning and building tagging elements are almost reminiscent of a simple abstract, which surprised me and seems pleasant. The card play and energy management elements seem okay, though it smells like a lot of duplicates of a relatively shallow cardpool for your decks. Not necessarily a bad thing, I guess.

>>51907435
I've played Kemet a couple dozen times but never really thought about 1v1. Seems like there wouldn't be enough competition for power tiles.
>>
>>51907593
Yep, there is no real competition for the power tiles but the game goes by too fast to even matter because it revolves solely on battles. What is the player count sweet spot for Kemet?
>>
File: P2110013.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P2110013.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
Board games that you've played a lot and still eager to play more?

I was introduced to Blood Rage two weeks ago. Clocked in 6 games so far and still looking for more.

It's nice that the game plays out differently each time. There was even a game where all 4 players just placed their Leader out of reach from each other in the first age then pillage on their next turn, out of fear of losing their units and getting left behind.
>>
>>51907679
I mostly play at 4-5 and feel really happy with it there. Haven't played enough with 3 to decide if I like it less though.
>>
File: IMG_8609.jpg (47KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8609.jpg
47KB, 300x296px
>>51905761
Out of print may have been the wrong word choice but pic related is what I'm looking for but it's sold out
>>
>>51907731

What's it like? I've seen it and it looked like another Chaos in the Old World so I kind of ignored it.
>>
What is the general take on Cry Havoc and O.G.R.E? Saw both at a game store and they seemed interesting.
>>
File: P2110011.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P2110011.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>51907925
I was told it's a clone of Chaos in Old World.

But I've never played so I don't know.

Blood Rage looks like a battlefield ameritrash game, but I like to think it's actually an eurogame disguised as a wargame. You manage your money (called Rage in this game) resource to deploy/upgrade units. You have limited rage to spend every age, and you can upgrade your clan stats by pillaging provinces or completing quests.

There are multiple ways to win the game by earning points. I've played and seen games where the player never engages in any combat and still come out top because nobody caught on and just let the player do his thing without ever disrupting them.

Now I'm hyped about Rising Sun, the supposed spiritual successor to Blood Rage that's coming online to Kickstarter in a week.
>>
>>51905761
>>51907866
He's kind of right.
CGL makes the digital content of their products, but they've had to send away in order to do the manufacturing. For print books, this is way less of a problem. It's when they start including things like plastic minis that issues arise.

Basically, not Catalyst, but Fasa screwed the pooch on the way out, selling rights off to do everything to other companies. Currently, Ironwind Metals, formerly Ral Partha, owns the rights to make Battletech miniatures of any kind. If Catalyst wants to make those plastic minis of theirs, even though IWM doesn't make them, they have to give them the go-ahead, and that means for each individual run of the product.

Compound this with doing overseas manufacturing (Just look at what happened to their steampunk wargame attempt with Leviathans) and the process is slow.

The boxed sets rarely truely go OOP, they just make a batch that sell at regular price, keep changing the contents so existing players buy them up for cheap robots, sell out, and then go through the whole process again.

In the window of time that the box set is sold out and not being made, sometimes unscrupulous sellers start hocking them online for double or triple their MSRP.

We're in one of those grey areas now.
>>
>>51908017
Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World were both designed by Eric Lang, so I wouldn't be surprised by similarities.

I played my first game of Chaos in the Old World a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I've got to learn how to deal with Khorne though, he's like a force of nature.
>>
>>51895774
Epic is like $15 for a box with all you need for 2 players to draft a deck each. It's my favorite filler currently.
>>
>>51878501
Don't play with friends that take betrayals personally. Too many do.
>>
my closet is not huge but its bigger than average
I dedicated half of it to my games and when I first did this it didn't look like it was gonna work, but i manaeged to do it and even have some extra space. Now its completley full with some games not even fitting in there. I have a miniature market order of 8 games coming in next week. they aren't huge games, but they definitley will not fit in my closet as its already full.

there's no question, im not seeking advice, i just wanted to cry on my fellow anons shoulders
>>
>>51909868
How much of those games do you actually play?
When I realized I have over $24K in Magic cards and only really ever actually used a couple decks my life changed and my wallet got swole.

Don't become a hoarder, it will ruin the hobby for you.
>>
>>51908180
Part of the beauty of CitOW is that it avoids the chip-taking problem by giving Khorne loads of chips and telling the other three to take them.
>>
>>51910170
this.

khorne is stronger then the other races. but that is literally it, he has nothing else. so yes the other gods need to work together ever so slightly to make sure they dont fight khorne a lot.
>>
>>51910170
IMO it doesn't solve the problem, the victor of the game is still determined by which player the other three chose to ignore.

Everybody ignores Khorne - Khorn wins by default.

All three concentrate on Khorne but Nurgle is ignored in his scheme, Nurgle wins.

so on
>>
>>51910276
I don't know who you play with that players just routinely get ignored, dude.
>>
>>51910276
khorne has a hard time winning if you actually play with capable players.
>>
>>51910300
It's not a question of routinely, it's a question of magnitude. Because it's a chip taking game the player who is ignored most wins

It doesn't have to be completely, I just used that as an example.
>>51910357
If the game degenerates into "everybody vs Khnore" then, yes. Otherwise I'd say that the player who wins is the one that was ignored most.
>>
>>51910374
it's not everybody vs khorne. it's players realizing that fighting khorne is not in their best interest.
>>
>>51910165
good thinking but its tough for me... I don't actually dislike any of my games except for munchkin and as far as frequency of play, well, only about half of my games have made it to the table.. but again, i like them all.

im thinking that in the meant time i'll have to just have games out around my room, no choice really. Eventually however, i think it would be nice to have them all shelved and organized in one place. The frustrating part is that I need to make some big changes to my room in order to do that, not to mention i gotta actually buy some book cases or whatever. btw this all makes more sense knowing that i still live at home with my family so the games are confined to my bedroom (not a neet tho dw).

anyways, good advice >>51910165

thanks for listening to me whine lol
>>
File: IMG_1744.jpg (933KB, 2136x1424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1744.jpg
933KB, 2136x1424px
>>51882315
Sleeves are a sure sign of high grade autism. I hate playing with sleeved cards. Pic very related.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (12KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
12KB, 225x224px
Anyone know when arkham horror lcg is getting reprinted? Amazon has it for 15 dollars over msrp but fuck that. CSI has it for msrp (after shipping) but it wouldn't be delivered mid march.

Thoughts on the game? Wanna play it with my gf. We've never played a LCG before but we loved elder sign.
>>
File: Wrathborne Champions.png (213KB, 680x488px) Image search: [Google]
Wrathborne Champions.png
213KB, 680x488px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/396939535/wrathborne-champions/

Thoughts? Looks cool but I'm not sure if I should back it. Anyone here who did?
>>
>>51910454
If you liked Elder Sign you should enjoy the LCG, it's better in nearly every way.
>>
>>51909868
Neck yourself.
>>
>>51908002
Cry Havic looks really good to me but the guy at all the games you like are bad can't stand it. The short version of the video is the game restricts what you can and can't do a little too much for his taste.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE
>>
File: mythic battles heavy hitters.jpg (483KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles heavy hitters.jpg
483KB, 800x900px
I want a nice miniatures combat game that looks good and plays well, and I can't decide between these two. Which one should I get?
>>
>>51910165
>$24K in Magic cards
Holy shot anon
>>
>>51911385
*shit

Don't you just love autocorrect?
>>
>>51911378
Heavy Hitters doesn't practice abusive KS strategies.
>>
>>51911378
Of those two I'd lean towards heavy hitters. Partly because of what >>51911412 said and also because it's fighting robots
>>
>>51911378
Personally I prefer the Heavy Hitters setting with awesome mechs and robots even though Greek Mythology is also very cool.
Gameplaywise I think Mythic Battles offers far more with tons of different gods and units and scenarios and maps.
I can see Heavy HItters getting somewhat stale over time.
>>
File: Dollarydoos.png (167KB, 535x382px) Image search: [Google]
Dollarydoos.png
167KB, 535x382px
>>51910165
>$24,000+ spent on MTG

Cardboard crack indeed!

What time period did this cover, anon?
>>
>>51911412
They are running a few minor KS exclusive components.
>>
>>51911730
thing is. he can actually get that 24.00 back

i played magic seriously for 3 years and i probably didnt lose money on it. after i sold everything i had 1500 bucks. (i did not buy stuff like boosterboxes and didnt really play standard, just modern and draft)
>>
File: IMG_8613.png (2MB, 1824x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8613.png
2MB, 1824x1728px
Is there a game in your collection you bought without thoroughly researching it and you regretted it immediately? Pic related is mine
>>
>>51912601
Love Letter L5R edition, was at Gencon a few years back, knew it was a good game but wanted a boxed edition and the only copies AEG had there were the clamshell/bag and the L5R. Opened it up Sunday while driving home, looked at the cards, nope my friends aren't gonna play this, *I* can't even read the fucking names. Grabbed the Batman edition 6 months later, but still haven't been able to unload this shitty green box from my shelf.
>>
>>51912601

Ehhh it's not too expensive as far as buyer's remorse goes.

And it kills time if you play it solo from time to time.

It's not great but. Eh. It's fine.
>>
File: 1483631124626.png (5KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1483631124626.png
5KB, 320x320px
>>51912788
>not superior Kanai Factory edition
>>
File: IMG_20141019_095454.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141019_095454.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Onitama anon here.
Went back home during the last few days, only to discover my parents started making the board without me. Only managed to discuss shortly with them and change plans about the making and it turned out as you can see in pic related: a wooden board with leather battlefield glued AND nailed on the board, with wooden borders (dunno the name) to fasten the whole thing. Thanks daddy.
Also did some print-testing with the cards and corrected some unfortunate figure mistake in the printing scale of the back of the cards. I believe the cards will be ready by tomorrow (printing that shit correctly is impossible with a home printer), and if they turn out good, I'll post them here.
>>
>>51913348
It's the one I wanted but I'm not going out of my way to look for it. Hard enough finding people willing to bring me back EU only games.
>>
File: pic1790243.jpg (1MB, 2399x2399px) Image search: [Google]
pic1790243.jpg
1MB, 2399x2399px
Has anyone actually managed to beat Ghost Stories?
>>
How's Tiny Epic Galaxies?
>>
>>51908002
OGRE is a solid light-weight classic war game. If you play the game on maps with lots of terrain types and with a lot of vehicle types it becomes a bit more crunchy, but isn't bad at all. I really like it.
>>
>>51913533
One of my friend would play solo two games a day, one at breakfast, one at evening because he was frustrated to lose to the game too much. He did that for a couple of months iirc.
He would typically win about 1/3 game after this regimen.

Frankly, the dices are a big part of the difficulty of the game (I thought) and this is very frustrating. Samurai Spirit (by the same author) is somehow a better game in the same vein I find.
>>
>>51913381
I love it anon, super jealous of you
>>
>>51913348

>not the objectively superior Premium Edition with expanded player count (yes, the extra role cards are not as tight; nobody's forcing you to use them, and this isn't an argument against getting this version), larger tarot cards and sleeves

I mean, if money's no object there's literally no reason not to get that version over all others. Despite being wick to death of the pasted on Lovecraft theme at this point, I am interested in the upcoming Lovecraft Letter; its mechanics seem derirative enough for it to be worth owning in addition to the regular version. Hopefully it will fit in the Premium edition box.
>>
>>51914682

Sick* to death, fucking mobile keyboard
>>
>>51911378
Go for GKR: Heavy Hitters just so that when you enter combat in Scythe, instead of the dial and cards, you move to a second table and resolve combat with a quick game of GKR.

Seriously though, I'd say Mythic Battles should be your top choice.
>>
>>51913381
Hello fellow frenchfag

Qui vole un oeuf, vole un boeuf.
>>
>>51915059
https://books.google.fr/books?id=zrc_AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=il+faut+donner+un+oeuf+pour+gagner+un+boeuf&source=bl&ots=YYRqmKs6wq&sig=v3yfB3dAKk-irlHgs71HihRF22M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbgIDCvq7SAhWG1hQKHan7AUsQ6AEINjAD#v=onepage&q=il%20faut%20donner%20un%20oeuf%20pour%20gagner%20un%20boeuf&f=false

This proverb uses the same nouns but the meaning is very different.
"Qui vole un oeuf, vole un boeuf" means that the smallest theft will lead one day to greater offense.

"Il faut donner un oeuf pour avoir un boeuf" means that you have to give up on/sacrifice something to gain something of greater value. I decided to pick this one because it illustrates pretty well the idea of chess players who have to sacrifice pieces to pave their way to victory.
>>
>>51915230

Oh yeah, I know, I just typed shit that came to mind because I felt like it. It's my birthday today and I had more than my share of wine.

Yum.
>>
>>51914043
It's the best of the tiny epic games.
>>
>>51899879
I agree the fourth colour is great,but i really can't get over how high the price is. I am not much of a pirating guy,but me and my group play it homemade.
>>
>>51914043
Interesting mechanics, nice components, good way to keep pepole interested in other's turns, but throws balance out the fucking window of a 747 mid-flight.

Game is very random, has a runaway leader problem, and planet balance is massively skewed.
>>
Hello BBG, I'm looking for a recommendation. I play lots of warhammer, D&D, generally nerdish /tg/ stuff but not a ton in the board game department. I have Blood Rage, Cutthroat caverns, Bang! and a few card-only things (love letter, Monikers, etc), but recently my wife and I started playing Pandemic, and she's really into it.

She doesn't care as much as me to learn all the ins and outs of games/rules/strategies, so when we play head to head games I tend to win and it's not a ton of fun for either of us, but playing a co-op game has been huge for her motivation to try and it's a nice change. So, two questions:

What Pandemic expansion is best? there are like ten of them and I can't figure out which I might want to try.

Also, What other co-op games are suitable for 2+ players? I want to play more games with her, and it looks like this is my best avenue to make that happen. Thanks dudes/dudettes
>>
>>51873845
This so much. Played both as a transition for me and now for other people extensively
>>
>>51918814
On the Brink is the best expansion by far

As far other co-op games, look into Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Ghost Stories or Hanabi. If you want something heavier, look into Galaxy Defenders or Shadows of Malice
>>
>>51918814
Maybe try Castle Ravenloft? It's based off of d&d's Ravenloft so that could work for you
>>
>>51911803
I don't consider cosmetic exclusives to be abusive.
>>
>>51911378
Mythic Battles looks to have way much more replayability.
>>
>>51911730
12 years, then again, I didn't actually spent $24K on cards. Magic cards appreciate rates are way better than real estate so long as it doesn't get a massive reprint.
>>
>>51913533
Yes but only when I play two characters by myself. Playing 1 monk solo is RNG land and 3-4 players up the difficulty so steeply you end up vertical.
>>
Pandemic vs Pandemic Legacy, which one should I get?

Also, does Season 1 feel like a complete game with a finished story, or does it leave it open ended for the sequel?
>>
>>51920596
The additional pilots I don't think are just cosmetic, but yeah, it's still a pretty minor slice.
>>
>>51921503
Pandemic you can play an infinite amount of times. After each game of Legacy you perminately alter the board so that's a huge turn off for me. Granted, you could always just replay the last scenario over and over again
>>
>>51922060
you can also simply ignore the additional rules and modified boardstate to play vanilla Pandemic
>>
File: c26-1589947207-2-s.jpg (34KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
c26-1589947207-2-s.jpg
34KB, 600x335px
I've been playing Game of Thrones with my friends and cousins. Those who don't even watch the show really like this game and those of us who do like the show like the game as well. More strategic than RISK because there's no dice. There is a completely optional way (game let's you choose if you wanna use it) to randomize battles more but we don't use it because we like the strategical aspect of the game.

Can take a bit long and most of the game is all the scheming between players rather than the game itself.

Biggest issue is the game's balance when there's less than six players (the max) but there's ways around that and the unbalance is mostly when it's four players rather than three or five players. Six players is the optimal balance so you're gonna need some friends to play this at peak balance.

Overall I love it and when I won I had my friends bend the knee and swear fealty to House Baratheon as I sat on a "throne" and used a mop as a sword.
>>
>>51923418
>More strategic than RISK
>>
>>51923418
Good short review.
Now move on to Rex, it's everything good (and almost everything bad) about AGoT but just enough better to eclipse it.
>>
File: opera_2017-02-27_02-18-12.png (2MB, 1767x839px) Image search: [Google]
opera_2017-02-27_02-18-12.png
2MB, 1767x839px
>>51873723
I don't really have this issue since my friends are down to try heavy stuff. I guess if I got any that weren't, I'd go with:

>Dice City
Light in appearance and some strategies but ultimately an interesting little euro that will force them to up their game from shit like Catan.

>Castles of Burgundy
Basically the same but with a less approachable theme. Good for the gradual ramp up but skipped if they are still having fun with Dice City for a while and getting better I guess.

>Star Realms
Alterntively this game because its weight gets gradually heavier as you get more skilled. Seemingly indefinitely.

Most of my issue isn't converting light gamers into heavy gamers, it's converting fucking competitive card gamers into board gamers. I used to be one hardcore (as well as my partner) so we know it can be tough to stop being a prissy little bitch all the time.

For that, we have two solutions:

>Epic Card Game
Suck it up and play a real constructed card game.

>Ares Project
For if they're cool going more chit-leaning but still heavily card based. Should accommodate their need for competition and strategy.

Speaking of Ares, we just got that one. I'd say it's pretty good even if the components are a little weird and graphics are a tad...shit. Also just got Arkham Horror LCG and Star Wars Rebellion.

Howabout this, /bgg/, we post collections and anons recommend games based on what you seem to like but are missing!
>>
>>51881658
Netrunner only has mind games until players figure out the corp doesn't have enough resources to actually implement them with consistent reliability.
>>
>>51874584
I don't usually shit on peoples' tastes but you're being a complete asshole in your presentation, so:

Talisman is fucking garbage. It takes forever, looks like trash, and is a stop-motion movie you have to make yourself every time. There are no meaningful choices and nothing matters. A "game" like this shouldn't be measured in hours. Also, if you rate it anything more than a 1 on BGG, you're an asshole as its description literally defies what a game is.

DungeonQuest is even worse as it's just a procedurally generated death dealer. I'm not even sure how this game was released after it went to play testing. Once again, defies description of a game by having no choices. Hell, the new one's combat is fucking rock paper scissors.

If these are the games your introduce people to, it's probably not "dude, can't handle it!" it's probably that they resent you for bringing time-wasting evening-ruiners to the table.
>>
>>51925017
>he doesn't know about Jinteki decks
wew lad, at least play the game before making claims like that.
>>
>>51925561
You're so full of shit. I've played this game competitively and use worlds-topping lists. There's already been multiple articles that collected data from events where the best players gather and it shows the corp wins less than runners. Everyone who plays seriously knows this at this point and playing Corp at events isn't about winning that game.
>>
Are you excited for the L5R revival anon? Even if it's by fantasy jew?
>>
>>51925599
>fantasy jew

What?

Gnomes?
>>
>>51925719
FFG
I couldnt think of a funny jew pun :(
>>
File: Imhotep-Board-Game-Review[1].jpg (77KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
Imhotep-Board-Game-Review[1].jpg
77KB, 650x400px
Waited for the hype to die down before getting this. Did not have huge expectations, but was blown away by how more fun and how good the depth of strategy was in it! Instasuccess with friends. Whats /bgg/ s opinion of dis nigga?
>>
File: gkr heavy hitters.png (697KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
gkr heavy hitters.png
697KB, 680x697px
Let's be real for a moment guys. This looks really cool, the components and artwork look awesome. But is the gameplay there? Are the mechanics strong enough to carry this game?

Is this more than just hype?
>>
>>51926075
Entire game is uninspired droll dice+cardshit you've seen a thousand times with other games. Its only selling point is minis. As fucking usual.
>>
>>51926075
Far as I have seen it's a plastic pusher with limited replayability.
Maybe the inevitable expansions will save it.
>>
>>51926075
> "But is the gameplay there?"
> dice
Probably no.
>>
>>51926170
>>51926299
Why are dice so looked down upon? Is there something wrong with using dice?
>>
File: KOT2-3D_Box.jpg (445KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
KOT2-3D_Box.jpg
445KB, 600x600px
Guys I'm about to purchase King of Tokyo.

I'd go with newest release but it looks like the power up expansion for KoT is released only for the old version atm.

Should I just go with KoNY and its power up expansion instead?

Is that expansion available for the new KoT release but I simply don't see it?

(I'd prefer Tokyo instead of NY because it slightly easier and I could play with my nieces)
>>
>>51926327
Not necessarily but it tips the scales away from skill and towards luck. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but if it tips the scales too much it turns bad. I don't know how the dice mechanics in GKR work but another skirmish game, Mythic Battles: Pantheon, also uses dice for combat but adds a very interesting manipulation mechanic to influence the result. I think that's pretty neat. Maybe GKR does something similar, I don't know. Maybe it's not necessary because the rest of the game compensates for that. I have no idea.
>>
>>51926327
No, but it's a zero-creativity typical d6 chucker with some bare-basics cards dumped on top. There is nothing new to see here, nothing interesting to experience. Played one of these and you've played them all.
>>
>>51926327
Dice are a mechanic that's loved by people who hate to think and want luck-based games and 'tactile feels'. Games with dice usually follow the target audience.
>>
>>51925587
wow, are you also a navy seal who would totally beat me up in real life? Sorry to take you away from your sweet life of banging super models and driving sports cars on your way to pro-netrunner tournaments.

Also nothing you said proves that mind games can't be played, so eat shit son.
>>
>>51926347
Word is they will eventually get around to redoing the expansions for the first game, as well as some for KoNY. Get what you want, won't matter in the end.
>>
>>51926599
You sound like an absolute joy to be around. When you're done wasting your time shitting on someone who spent hundreds of hours getting good at this game, and want to actually learn something, I'll be around. Special note: I actually hate this game after learning so much about it. You probably will too once you get your head out of your ass and come down from Mt. Stupid.
>>
>>51922060
Pandemic it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (276KB, 1278x1226px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276KB, 1278x1226px
any good board or deck building games revolving around ninjas and doing ninja things?
>>
>>51927037
No, but I can recommend growing up.
>>
>>51927037
None that are good, but Sekigahara is an amazing Japan-set hidden unit block wargame.
>>
>>51926381
>>51925587
>>51926826
>>51927138
Why are there so many soggy cunts in these threads lately?
>>
>>51927203
They're the smelly fat people that hang around LGS's all day thst we make fun of
>>
File: 1430120688256.jpg (77KB, 720x951px) Image search: [Google]
1430120688256.jpg
77KB, 720x951px
My wife loves light games like Bohnanza and Sushi Go. I got her to play Chaos in the Old World once, she only stayed at the table because we had guests and now cringes at the mention of the game.

I'm sick of playing only light games when guests come over, but I can't go very heavy. So I got 7 Wonders. Did I do good? Are there comparable games for 3-6ish players that requires some thinking but doesn't take too long?
>>
>>51918814
I rarely deactivate lurker mode, vut you seem nice and nobody gas suggested it yet... so, forbidden desert. Great game
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 700x1300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 700x1300px
>>51927138
>hating ninjas

What a gay, I bet you hate pirates and dinosaurs too.

>>51927195
Not what I was looking for but after watching a review of it I may have to pick it up. Looks fun and kinda comfy

How's the replay value on it?
>>
>>51927369
Bohnanza isn't a 'light game', you tard.
>>
>>51927556
>How's the replay value on it?
Exponential, you trounce those who are worse at the game than you and when you and the other guy are novices the blocks might as well not be hidden, but once you two know how to play, the deck distributions, and the army distributions, the mindgames get intense.
>>
>>51927616
sold.

I'll be picking this is once I get paid next.

So far I've got:
Seasons
Mage Knight
Millennium Blades
and this

I think that'll keep me covered for a while. Trying to get all my braces covered with various card/deck games before their prices climb to high. I thought /toy/ related things appreciated quick, but board games climb like nobodies business.
>>
>>51927556
I would play the fuck out of Tenchu: the boardgame.
Are there any good infiltration & stealth boardgames out there?
>>
Last weekend I just picked up Power Grid, Dungeon Lords and Pax Romana for 74 britdollars, did I do good?

Pax Romana looks overwhelming, any tips or is this better asked in /hwg/?
>>
>>51927769
>Tenchu: the boardgame
There's a KS game out now which is almost exactly this, but iirc it's heavily unbalanced and one side (forget which) always wins if it knows how to play.
>>
File: IMG_20141020_063113.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141020_063113.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Here's the (almost) endgame. Just played a game with my gf, it's just as good as I thought it to be. That said, not only was there a printing problem (couldn't make the back of the cards) but I also slipped when masscutting and 9 of the 16 cards ended up being badly cut and I had to throw them away.

https://mega.nz/#!TVgnECQZ!uiEwsTpuemLqL6Ggm4epcKT4rSD0UpWZlDVmu5u37dc

As I said earlier, I'm sharing the cards. I also included the "raw" cards so that you can make your own cards and also the calligraphy font for the kanji.
>>
>>51927705
How is Millenium Blades?
>>
>>51928113
You're a great guy
>>
>>51928194
UUUU
>>
>>51928182
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. Luckily, with some of the help I got in this thread I was able to score a copy of the game with some of the KS decks for 70 bucks, so I'm pretty happy.

The art looks like Christopher Harts stuff, but the game looks to play great. The fake TCG alone would be worth playing, but they built a whole economical board game around it. Check out some reviews or play throughs of it. I can definitely see why it got its surprise popularity.
>>
>$91 to get Millennium Blades from l99's store
Fuck me and thats the best deal I can find online
>>
>>51926327
>>51926371
The dice mechanics in GKR are pretty uninspired.
Attacks are 2d6 vs Target Number, which is at least going to be more predictable than a single die and has an actual curve to results, but is still pretty swingy.
Successful attack threatens an amount of damage specified on the attack card plus any special effects, but each wound has a 1/3 chance to be saved against, so you normalize to getting 2/3 of the damage on successful attacks, but 1/3 is a big enough slice to swing much higher or lower than that regularly.

So yeah, the combat system smells very luck based, and without a lot of apparent ways to mitigate or control it - though we haven't seen the full contents of the decks of cards, so there might be stuff in there that makes a real difference. Definitely a less interesting dice system at it's core than mythic battles, but I'm not going anywhere near that one either for practicality reasons.
>>
>>51925738
Fun For Goys
Fully Funded by Goyim
Fascism Facade Games
>>
>>51928863
>Definitely a less interesting dice system at it's core than mythic battles, but I'm not going anywhere near that one either for practicality reasons.

How do you mean that? What practicality reasons?
>>
>>51927369
>So I got 7 Wonders. Did I do good?
That's relatively solid, it didn't get those awards for nothing.
On the top of my head, I'd suggest Tokaido, Citadels, Smallworld 7 wonders:duel is good as well for 2p, is coop a no? if it isn't there's always pandemic, Shadows over Camelot...
It's always a bit hard to know exactly what is "too heavy" over the internet.
>>
>>51928951
$$$
>>
>>51927369
Roll for the Galaxy is 2-5 players and very good
It's my go to step up game after I've got them hooked on Ticket to Ride
>>
>>51928863
Yo STEEV. Looks like you were right. Posted a comment and got a reply about dice mitigation a d luck. Weta states that the sponsorship cards, from tagging, are designed to aid in the mitigation. So take that for what you will but It looks like they are aware and working it.
>>
File: 1488141694519.png (314KB, 711x664px) Image search: [Google]
1488141694519.png
314KB, 711x664px
>dice combat
>Dice movement
>Minitures
>Battle system which is resolved by WHO HAS BIGGER NUMBER
>King making
>King making but it puts a target on your back too
>Game takes longer than an hour but isnt deep
>""""Inspired by videogames"""""
>Memes (This does not include the dog from dead of winter FUCK YOU)
>>
>>51930362
Stop posting anytime
>>
>>51927203
You're not exactly contributing to making this place more bearable. The opposite, in fact.
>>
>>51930699
not him but
>start posting legitimate counterarguments anytime
faggot
>>
I almost don't wanna do it because it'll just be more back and forth shitposting but new thread

>>51932166
>>51932166
>>
>>51932117
Whomst are you quoting
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.