[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 442
Thread images: 26

File: keith_parkinson_the_druid_stone.jpg (540KB, 800x1364px) Image search: [Google]
keith_parkinson_the_druid_stone.jpg
540KB, 800x1364px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded
>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous session >>51825433
>>
File: for_honor-3475291.jpg (344KB, 1906x748px) Image search: [Google]
for_honor-3475291.jpg
344KB, 1906x748px
>>51832587
Stat jpegs of For Honor heroes when.
>>
File: Wizard musings.jpg (436KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard musings.jpg
436KB, 900x900px
What's the worst case of metagaming you've ever had to deal with as a DM? As a player?
>>
>try to open locked drawer with thieves tools
>roll a 3, 5 with proficiency
>"your tools break"
but why
>>
>>51832617
Sounds like a dick move.
>>
High Elf Arcane Trickster. Just hit level 4, should I take the ASI or a feat? Also what Feat would be good for the class?
>>
>>51832616
Haven't had any incredibly bad ones, but one player had a totem that was preventing the ship they were on from moving and didn't tell anyone, and everyone was getting bored because there was nothing they could do about it. They ended up interrogating "everyone" starting with him to get things moving.

I wasn't the DM, though, we should probably have had more options available.
>>
>>51832587
I hope the UA tomorrow is the Mystic. Not just to get the practically-final cut of it, but because that opens the door for them doing an Arthas/Dark Sun UA.

What other UAs do you guys want to see?
>>
>>51832626
Dou you have booming blade or green flame blade?
If you do then grab Spell sniper and use a whip.
>>
>>51832617
Do you have a caster in your party? If so, prestidigitation can make a non-magical trinket that fits in the palm of your hand (aka a lockpick)
>>
>>51832587
What are some good ideas for a Wiz/Sor build?
I'm making a new character and I can't decide if getting more spells as a Wizard is better than getting better ones sooner as a Sorcerer.

How can I make myself powerful without being in danger of dying in every fight?
>>
>>51832637
My character is more of a rapier or bow kind of person.
>>
>>51832640
Huh, hadn't thought of that. I'm multiclassed with Warlock myself so I could do it anyway.

If only I could Pact Blade a lockpick.
>>
>>51832626
>>51832653
Depends what your stats are. Always worth amping up Dex early on. Feats aren't so important for Rogues.
>>
>>51832617
Please tell me they're a novice DM.
>>
>>51832617
>this is what people who were taught about lockpicking by mechanisms believe
Even amateur lockpickers don't break their picks like this. They're metal--thin metal, but metal still. You have to be really trying to break a pick when using it for picking.

Tell the DM to go on YouTube and check out some lockpicking videos. I don't do it myself but it is pretty fascinating.
>>
>>51832655
Ask your DM if you can refluff it as a shitty dagger.
Become the lockpick.
>>
>>51832677
>mechanisms
video games* Fuck. I'm tired.
>>
>>51832653
I reccommended the Whip-Spell sniper combo cause it's realativley safe and won't gimp you at early levels.

Just max Dex first then.
>>
>>51832665
To be fair, she is. She's also ruined the local oil economy in order to prevent cheap explosives for the party, summoned dragons to prevent forest fires caused by the party, and rarely, if ever, gets us to roll for persuasion, rendering proficiency in the skill more or less pointless.
>>
File: 1466290688913.png (3KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
1466290688913.png
3KB, 96x96px
>>51832587
Off topic, but I didn't know about the artist of the thread's image until now.

Nice.
>>
>>51832648
>better ones sooner
>Sorcerer
Sorc is a worse wizard except a couple of tricks, unless you're willing to gimp yourself for rp reasons wizard is basically always the best choice. If you want to not die, getting medium/heavy armor from 2 levels of fighter or cleric is better than sorcerer (both of which have same or better hp/level than draconic sorc), though playing smart, positioning well, being careful and always having a get-away (misty step is great) are more important than being tanky honestly, initiative matters a lot too.
>>
>>51832617
>>51832640
Or mending
>>
>>51832711
>and rarely, if ever, gets us to roll for persuasion, rendering proficiency in the skill more or less pointless.

sounds like a good thing to me
>make a request of an npc why they should assist us
>completely logical and well thought out
>DM: okay now roll persuasion
>roll a 4
>DM: you speak like a retard and drool everywhere, he doesn't comply
>>
>>51832648
>Play sorcerer
>Use quickened spell every turn
>Use main action to dodge and force disadvantage on all attack rolls

Still die super easy because there is no such thing as a tanky arcane caster
>>
>>51832752
But it negatively affects anyone who promoted the skill above others.

Remember that the idea of the game is that you're able to do things that you wouldn't in real life. Being bad at persuasion in roleplaying shouldn't prevent you from persuading people if your character is supposed to be good at it, any more than being unable to use magic in real life should stop your character.

DM fiat applies of course, and roleplay is important, but it renders social characters less useful than they should be.
>>
>>51832713
It's a nice image.
It beautifully done fantasy art, but I can also jerk off to it.
Truly the mark of a great artist.
>>
>>51832738
in my experience, 99% of casters don't take cantrips or don't prepare it until AFTER shit like this happens.

Every wizard/warlock/sorcerer has prestidigitation. Every single one.
>>
>>51832752
Here's how I prefer it to be done:
If the player makes their case wonderfully and leaves the NPC literally no reason to not comply, there's no need to roll. If, despite having a well thought out argument and making a great point, this NPC would still have whatever reason to refuse, roll Persuasion with advantage.
If you're trying to convince them and don't put much effort role play-wise, normal Persuasion check. That also goes for people who are uncomfortable with role-playing or can't think of what to say, despite having a charismatic character. In this last case I might give them disadvantage or just ask for a straight Charisma check.
>>
>>51832752

Why not do it the other way? Roll and then use that as a basis for how well you give your speech?
>>
>>51832769
>Stone sorcerrer
>>
>>51832752
That's the hallmark of bad DMing. If the guy has a good reason to help you, you wouldn't really need to roll; or at least you'd do it with advantage, and the DC would be lower. Same goes for the contrary: if helping you is obviously against his interests, he dislikes you etc persuading him would be much harder. In extreme cases it would be impossible given normal charisma. (DC30)
And it all has to make sense. You can't change someone's worldview in a single sentence. Sometimes you might fail a roll, but you'll get a minor success, or vice-versa.

E.G. asking the king for help and succeeding on the roll doesn't mean that he's going to dispatch his entire army, you might get a squad of soldiers. Conversely, asking him to send soldiers to one of his towns that's under attack by barbarians and failing the roll might mean that he underestimates the threat and sends less soldiers than he should, but he's going to send at least a few soldiers.

Sometimes the dice go against you, and it will kinda suck because you failed at doing what you wanted. That's why we roll dice in the first place, so there's a possibility of failure. However, that failure has to be meaningful and make sense.
>>
>>51832829
I just use the dice to represent randomness in the world. They're talking to a clearly defined hardboiled npc they've met and interacted with before? No, they can't intimidate them to lick your boots. They're hitting on a barmaid you just came up with and you have no idea how she responds? Roll for it, DC dependent on the gender, roleplaying and looks of the player/PC. The barbarian doesn't roll to bust down wooden doors, but if it's a randomly generated dungeon that door might have some reinforcements behind it or maybe it's made of metal.
>>
>>51832874
Not him, but well said, anon.
Kudos.
>>
How do you guys deal with sleeping enemies?

>Party manages to sneak into a bandit camp
>creep into the tents with daggers ready

now do they just automatically kill them or are they still rolling damage and hoping they kill them in one hit?
>>
>>51832928
I'd make it an auto kill. If they have the ability to sneak up on someone completely defenceless I see no reason they'd fail to kill them.
>>
>>51832928
Grapple check to shut the bandits mouths or the shadow monk casts silence.

Then they simply slit their throats.
>>
>>51832928
Insta-kills. Common sense should always come before rules-lawyer'ing.
>>
>>51832928
I have them roll a collective stealth and attack roll. If they do well on both of them, I let them gank whoever they had planned on ganking in the particular scene.

If they fail the stealth, they're seen before they get to them. If they fail the attack, they don't automatically kill the guy and they struggle for a little bit (how so in detail depends on how they were trying to kill them), and combat resumes as normal after some narration.
>>
>>51832946
how about something stronger or bigger than a bandit?

an ogre?
a giant?
a dragon?
>>
Does anyone have any creative ideas on making a legitimate spellbook if I become a Wizard? I want to impress my DM and be creative, and making a spellbook IRL seems practical and would also help me get in character better I think.

I don't think I can afford to buy a leatherbound tome of empty pages, even if I could find a place that sold it.
>>
>>51832958
Could a lucky attack kill it in normal combat? Then yes.

If not it's advantage.
>>
>>51832958
I'm (>>51832953), and in that case I offer the same mechanics if they can describe how they're doing it in a way that would actually work out.

If they go "I'm a high enough level that it should work," or something like that, I say "you're a high enough level to face them in head-to-head combat and wear them down, not insta-gib them when they're standing guard unless you can get creative."
>>
>>51832949
Nice, that's a good way of doing it.
>>
>>51832969
Glue plain cardboard to the outside of a normal book or just tear off the top layer of the book's cover, then draw runes and magic looking shit all over it.

Maybe print/cut out some runes/symbols and glue them on, maybe a few of the same in the one spot, so that it's got a 3D thing going on.
After all, a spellbook isn't a spellbook unless its something you wouldn't confuse with a normal book.

Ideally, get one with more pages than average.
Spellbooks tend to be THICC
>>
>>51833072
I kind of feel like using cardboard would make it look shoddy and amateurish, I want something that looks like it was professionally done but with materials that aren't too expensive.
>>
>>51832969
Get a normal binder, buy some leather or whatever material you desire, cover the outside of the binder in the material and make sure the ends wrap around the binder. Staple or otherwise fix the ends of the leather to the inside of the binder. Decorate the outside as you see fit.

I've never done anything like it, but this is how I'd do it.
>>
>>51833093
Get some thing chipboard then.
Hard enough, weighted but not heavy and you can cut/sand the edge into neat shapes then use said shapes to, if you want, cut the pages so the book is uniform in design.

Chipboard is cheap as chips, mate.
>>
File: il_570xN.488657679_gj2g.jpg (158KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.488657679_gj2g.jpg
158KB, 570x760px
>>51832969
I own one of these. Haven't used it for anything because it's so elaborate it seems like writing anything basic in it would ruin it, but it only cost about £15 and would look awesome as a spellbook.
>>
>>51833111
thin chipboard*
Fuck me.
>>
>>51833116
That looks sick as fuck, where you get it? I'm not in the UK unfortunately.
>>
How do you get your players to roleplay? Is roleplaying necessary?

Case in point, one of my players was trying to get a powerful fairy to help the party defeat the BBEG. The player, said "My character explains to the fairy that the BBEG will kill him if not defeated, that the BBEG is evil, and that the BBEG is hurting nature"

I asked him to do all that in character, and he said he would prefer not to. This is a common theme with this player in particular if he's playing a charisma based character. Otherwise he just stays in the background in NPC interactions offering tips to the face, but actually playing within the game. The other three players, while not incredible actors by any means, all attempt to say things in character.
>>
>>51833145
I got it in a Christmas market a couple of years ago, but it looks like they're available on eBay and similar at a higher cost. Not sure what your upper range is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARFED-3D-WOMEN-FACE-SMALL-HANDMADE-LEATHER-JOURNAL-NOTEBOOK-1-/271255315359

Or Google "3D leather notebook" and have a skim through the results, there's similar-but-not-the-same options with animal faces, masks, etc.
>>
>>51833168
you cant force people to roleplay
also at least he actually came up with a argument instead of treating a cha roll as mind control

if you really cant deal with him not speaking character then kick him out of the group.
>>
>>51833168
It's part of the game, but bear in mind the sort of people D&D draws. Socially-awkward nerds who don't like talking up too much and feel self-conscious in these situations.

I'd say if he's offering something, just run it on rolls. It's not his fault he's not dramatic. You wouldn't ask someone in a wheelchair to roleplay climbing over dangerous terrain.
>>
>>51833168
Instead of asking him to "say it in character", ask him "How exactly do you explain all of that to the fairy?" And obviously, roleplay the fairy during the entire exchange. Usually when you adress them as the NPC they might get more comfortable with role-playing, since they're not the only ones making a fool of themselves. Make silly voices and impressions, go all out.

Take the player aside and ask them why they're not comfortable with role-playing, and what could you do to help with that.
>>
>>51833168
Talk to him outside the game, there are many things to be gotten from rpgs and he may not enjoy roleplaying at all and prefers to just describe what his character says. If that's the kind of play he wants and you aren't willing to gm that then the only real solution is to find a new player; otherwise, one of you must compromise or change.
>>
>>51833205
>You wouldn't ask someone in a wheelchair to roleplay climbing over dangerous terrain.
I hate it when people use these kinds of examples, they don't compare at all. No fucking one roleplays physical shit at the table unless they're LARPing. On the other hand, communication is a major part of D&D, it is after all a social game. If all you wanted is the mechanics, you could very well go play a videogame. Now, I understand many people are shy and feel awkward role-playing, but that DOES NOT compare to asking someone in a wheelchair to climb.
>>
Anyone has some useful information about how the economy would work in a magical medieval setting? The players have acquired a business and I'm out of my depth. I'm sure there must be a pdf about that somewhere but I cannot find it
>>
>>51833265
There are simple rules for that in the DMG. Look for Downtime Activities.
>>
>>51833258
Why not?

>communication is a major part of D&D
Yeah, communication as a player with other players, and communicating your actions. That's what the player in question was doing.

You can craft a world and plot without roleplaying directly. How is it fair or reasonable to ask someone who stutters through words and goes quiet when asked to assume the role of a character to play their high Charisma creation?

Especially when you consider that they may have made this character as a form of escapism from their own failings.
>>
Weird story bur I need a character who can kick other characters asses in the most humiliating ways possible.

Some kind of non-magical grappler would be fantastic.
>>
>>51833315
>character who can kick other character's asses in the most humiliating ways possible

Okay, sure, how about ---

>non-magical

oh, nevermind then, you've already discounted the most effective ways to humiliate people.
>>
File: 1457939827310.png (95KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1457939827310.png
95KB, 625x626px
>>51833315
Sounds to me like you want this for PvP. If your game is involving PvP you might as well quit already.
>>
>>51833320
Needs to be something physical. If it could have a magical focus it'd be easy as piss to make a Loremaster Wizard to shit all over everyone.
>>
>>51833332
Kinda.

It's for an ERP game, and my Boyfriends fetish is general roughhousing and physical humiliation.
>>
>>51832616
Player says "don't bother rolling the save he can't pass the save with his -5 STR" to the DM about an enemy creature on the first turn of combat against a create he has never fought. DM ended up changing the stats but the nerve of looking it up by default is just vile.
>>
>>51833345
You're playing the wrong system. Every class is magic in dnd.
>>
>>51833345
Have you tried FATAL, oh ye sodomite?
>>
>>51833362
Magic's fine. Just not a guy in robes slinging spells at the back lines.

>>51833370
Tried playing it once while very drunk and high. I got lost around the nipple size chart.
>>
>>51833361
>How DARE a player exploit an enemy weakness
>now enjoy fighting those trolls, and remember, if you use fire its meta gaming
>>
@51833383
>(You)
>>
File: 1476728170835.png (162KB, 515x331px) Image search: [Google]
1476728170835.png
162KB, 515x331px
>>51833383
>>
>>51833286
This. Speaking in third person is completely ok for me. So is delivering average speeches. As long as you're trying, and convey what's actually going on, it's fine.

>inb4 turboautists who demand everyone stay IC AT ALL TIMES BECAUSE MUH IMMURSION
>>
>>51833441
As dm it sucks to roleplay a character and not get roleplay back.
>>
>>51833441
Psshh, you still are just as much as an autist as him
>roleplaying

my games are 100% dungeon crawls, no NPCs, no dialogue at all, the way the game was meant to be played
>>
>>51833383
>exploiting an enemy's weakness
>knowing an enemy has -5 to its save
Clear difference here. I kind of struggle with that as well, one of my players is a diviner wizard (with 1 level in cleric) and he DMs as well, so he constantly goes for the monsters weaknesses and avoids resistances. If a monster resists elemental damage, he immediately resorts to using Sacred Flame and Guiding Bolt.

>>51833286
I don't disagree with you. If a player really can't deal with role-playing, I will do my best to accommodate them, but I will still talk to them and offer any kind of help I could. Pretty much just trying to show them that D&D can be much more fun when you really engage with your character and immerse yourself in the experience. And then I'd give them time to warm up to the idea, all the while encouraging the whole party to not only engage in conversation with NPCs (which most players usually do) but also with the other PCs (which in my experience is both much less common and much more immersive).
>>
I have a nice human only (or at least 95% human) setting worked out and was thinking of changing base human stats a bit.

Humans can still take a feat (variant) but they also get the following effects:

No pick your own skill, one of two cultural tied skills. You may also pick both and then only take one from your background.

+1 to any two, one additional +1 based on your culture group. Can forgo a feat to take +1 to all and +2 to one.

Varying starting gold / equipment ranges based on culture.

Is this a meaningful choice or enough of one to sweeten the deal? Or is it just a bunch of nothing?
>>
>>51833481
just let them take any other races features they want.
>>
File: 1239855270108.jpg (8KB, 238x186px) Image search: [Google]
1239855270108.jpg
8KB, 238x186px
>>51833479
>live in the same world where this monster exists
>presumably literate
>have heard of said monster and know it has very low strength
>>
>>51832949
How does and I unconacious character roll against a grapple contest
>>
>>51833662
Allright get this.
Living beings will struggle out of reflex especially during the process of dying.

What will you do when they make noise and wake up the others.

Thus a grapple check to keep their mouths shut and keep them from making a rucckuss.
>>
File: dndspellbookstuff.jpg (153KB, 1178x872px) Image search: [Google]
dndspellbookstuff.jpg
153KB, 1178x872px
I was thinking of maybe using something like this as a sort of spellbook for my Wizard. Any thoughts? It's cheap and its "leather" and has weird little charms on it, but on the off hand it only has 85 pages. I was thinking of writing in the information about each spell I have and maybe some d&d-esque science-y stuff like mini sketches and diagrams to make it look like an intelligent wizard did it, something along the lines of pic related.

Any thoughts? I'm getting very excited about doing something but my lack of drawing skills and my shitty handwriting is making me feel like it'd be silly...
>>
>>51833587
You'd be surprised how little people would know about the outside world when pretty much everything is either a supernatural creature designed to kill people or a regular animal with "dire" slapped on the front of it just to let you know it's triple the size and hungers for manflesh. Now if you said "hey that thing is clearly an atrophied corpse, maybe if I try to pin it down" or "gee that wild animal probably isn't very smart" that'd be cool. Just don't pull the "I read it in a book once" shit in a world without the printing press unless you actually make a knowledge roll.
>>
>>51833757
>lack of drawing skills and my shitty handwriting
Wizards don't have time to learn how to draw well or write well, they're focusing on learning spells, nigga.
Having shitty non-essential skills makes it more authentic.

Besides, that's cool as fuck.
>>
File: 456537567825235.jpg (81KB, 1022x686px) Image search: [Google]
456537567825235.jpg
81KB, 1022x686px
>>51833816
I guess that's true, but I'll still be insecure about it.
Fuck though, I just found an even better one that is outside my price range. It looks gorgeous though.
>>
Arcana TODAY hype.
>>
>>51833466
>my games are 100% dungeon crawls, no NPCs, no dialogue at all, the way the game was meant to be played

Considering the original goal is to amass wealth, and not kill monsters, to progress you're flat out wrong as you would likely have to converse with monsters.
>>
>>51833276
It's a start but I was looking for something a bit more extensive and indepth
>>
File: Implying implications.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Implying implications.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>51833466
>my games are 100% dungeon crawls, no NPCs, no dialogue at all, the way the game was meant to be played
>>
>>51833757
>Brûler les mains
more like Mains Brûlantes
>>
>>51833757
>Devoilier arcana tous presents
kek I hadn't read left page

Where did you get those from ?
>>
>>51833880
Wow, that really is gorgeous.
If you really want it, just save up for it.

I hate hearing "outside my price range".
Sure, if something is several thousand dollars, I can understand that, but come on, anon.
>>
Would it unbalance anything major if I let Monks grapple with a Dexterity (Athletics) Check?
>>
>>51833880

The thing I really hate about these books, is how they have all this lovely binding and cover and shit, but the paper is straight up Printer White
>>
>>51832587
Oh shit I have that miniature
>>
>>51832610
I'm pretty sure they're all different flavors of Fighter.

Peacekeeper might have taken a dip in Rogue though.
>>
>>51833757
I love this.
>>
File: masked killer cr5.jpg (415KB, 1280x1087px) Image search: [Google]
masked killer cr5.jpg
415KB, 1280x1087px
>>51834172
I meant as NPCs/monsters, if I wanted to throw them against my players for funsies. You can find so many pictures of fan-made stat-blocks, I was just surprised these haven't been made yet.

This Masked Killer is pretty much dead-on for Peacekeeper, I think. For example. Though if someone wanted to just build them as PCs and make a pretty picture of that instead of doing custom NPC/monster stuff, that makes sense.
>>
>>51833757
>blocked by a thing sheet of lead
Turns out that magic was just radiation all this time.
>>
Anyone have trouble connect to the 5eg discord? it keep locking up on open
>>
>>51834352
Nope, but I went on it once and read nothing but drama about some trannie and the trannies harem of white knights, and the trolls disappointed they weren't allowed in the harem. Now I'm troubled that such a hive of scum exists.
>>
>>51833587
>>presumably literate
>>have heard of said monster and know it has very low strength
Nigga, the only shit you know about as common knowledge is CR 5 and below humanoids, beasts, monstrosities and giants. Everything else is essentially myth or heresay.
>>
>>51834404
I'd say any pc with class levels would have basic knowledge about undead too, minimum skeletons and zombies.
>>
>>51834352
Yes, but my trouble is that I actively stop myself from doing things that negatively affect me, especially my mental health.
>>
>>51834165
I like it because I can sketch without lines on the paper bothering me.
>>
>>51834352
you shouldn't have any trouble, its open for me.
>>51834397
Way I heard it, it wasn't a tranny, it was a dude pretending to be a chick, not dressing up as a chick and putting on the fake boobage and getting fucked in the ass for money. Something he used to do to get free shit back in the MMO days when dumbasses fell for that very often, he just never stopped until some guy found out and doxxed him by diligent searching and some minor hacking I guess. He then gave the links proving that the person was a dude and who the person is and such to some faggot named c0re, or Jeb or some shit, and things spiralled from there.
>>51834421
They were all banned from the discord and went and made their own, that's shit(just like the original but it's a little less shit) and a little /pol/ is in there, but they do put up some shit useful for roll20 and other kinds of assets for running ttrpgs.
>>
>>51830008
>>51829878
Monk AC is also the lead to a lot of things like
>rolling for stats and playing monk
or
>rolling for stats after choosing to play monk
or
>not focusing dex and wis on monk
and
>having fun by picking feats instead of focusing your dex and wis, becoming super squishy and fucking dying
and
>not understanding monks aren't tanks
and
>monk is worst tier lol
And so forth.

Still not quite memeish enough.

There are some other short-lived memes such as create bonfire.

Also meme-tier builds like dex barbarogue, abjuration wizardlock, fighter sorlock.

Also homebrew is a meme.
>>
How about this for a rule?

>In order to know of a creature, the character must have spent time in the typical terrain the creature is on, and make a Nature/History check to recall information of the creature. The DC Is equal to 10+CR level rounded down. This does not mean they would not know of the creature's existence, but abilities and background of the creature may come to light.

DC 11 check to know about pack tactics for a dire wolf. DC 17 check for knowing about magical resistance and psionics for a mind flayer.
>>
>>51834544
Books are a thing, so no thats a little bullshit.
>>
>>51834544
So you can never identify things like fiends and overworldly beings?

Just stick with the standard, 'well, roll an arcana check I guess', or better yet drop hints in the environment (A silver-vulnerable creature locked behind silver bars)
>>
>>51833315
>>51833345
Battlemaster fighter, a lot of the class' maneuvers involve debilitating your opponents.
>>
I like the warlock invocations in the new UA, but all the smite ones are too powerful. What is the best way to fix them?
>>
>>51834552
There are too many things wrong with this statement to begin.
>>
>>51834608
my point was that someone in every world/setting would write a book detailing every known monster or humanoid or aberration or what have you and put it in a book, which would be very common reading for say, paladins or fighters, and especially wizards.
>>
>>51834627
1)The check would be to see if you did read the book or paid attention
2)monsters above CR 5 wouldn't be known, at least to the degree where they would be clearly and easily studied
3)Ain't no fucking way you could approach half the shit in the MM to study it without getting murdered. You would know dire wolves hunt better in packs because they're a common threat and one that can be fought off regularly. You would not know how mindflayer magic works because by the time you approached one you would be a snack for something or other.
Only an adventurer would actually codify something of the sort and none of the ones i've ever run into have expressed any interest in anything but murdering monsters rather than making it easier for others to murder them.
>>
>>51834627
Point one myth or fable out where the hero consults his encyclopedia monsternomica before going on to slay the beast.

You can't. Most tales feature heroes getting advice from wizards or Gods on how to beat monsters.

And in the standard dnd setting monsters aren't common enough that some farm boy is going to know how to slay the gorgon before setting out.
>>
>>51834675
Any contact with duergar or drow that were helpful, rare but not unheard of, mindflayers and weaknesses instantly known by all and what about retired adventurers? Kings and Nobles, and Rich businessman all, i thought? Writing a book on the monsters they fought and their weaknesses and strengths would be very profitable.
>>51834691
Notice I said Wizards in my post?
>>
>>51832587

Does anyone have any "go to" dungeons they like to use? I gotta have a dungeon delve ready this Saturday and I know I won't have time to actually make one from scratch The dudes are level 6 but hit like a pile of bricks in combat
>>
>>51834544

CR is a terrible judgement on if people will know about something as rarity or common knowledge don't line up 1:1 with power. Many powerful monsters are better known than weaker, rarer monsters.
>>
Hey guys how about this for a Kensei fighter archetype:

Lv3: can make a 1d4 pommel attack as a bonus action after a weapon attack
Ki (3 points)
Can make an extra weapon attack as a bonus action for 1 ki
Can also use patient defense and step of the wind like a monk

Lv7: ki goes up to 4, weapon counts as magical for resistance and immunity purposes, can use a bonus action to double proficiency on one attack

Lv10: ki goes up to 5, as a bonus action spend up to 3 ki to give a weapon attack and damage roll bonus equal to ki spent for 1 minute, stillness of mind as monk

Lv15: ki goes to 6, deflect missiles and purity of body as monk

Lv18: ki goes to 7, reroll one missed attack per turn
>>
>>51832616

> Ask player to roll a perception check
> Player fails
> Player exclaims "Man, I thought I saw something over there, why doesn't the rest of the party take a look?"

And so on and so forth for any skill check he fails, finding someway to get the rest of the party to make the same check he failed.

Honorable mention: I used to game with a player that demanded open rolling from everyone - but only so he could see what the dice rolls were and compare them against his AC or whatever so he knew what modifiers creatures had to their hit rolls and such

Honorable mention part duex: At the height of 4e one current player of mine would open the Monster Manual whenever combat occurred, so I ended up hording Monster Manuals 1, 2, 3, the Manual of the Planes, Underdark, and Dark Sun creature comprendium and was able to create a mini fort out of the books. Thankfully he lost this bad habit
>>
>>51834724
>would be very profitable
How? D&D settings aren't in the height of the renaissance, they're just beginning to hit it. How would the king even sell the things if adventurers who make it as far as actually needing it are rare? The printing press isn't exactly common.
>>
>>51834841
Adventurers aren't rare in D&D.
There are five factions in FR who would all make good use of a "Monster Manual".
>>
>>51834813
>And so on and so forth for any skill check he fails, finding someway to get the rest of the party to make the same check he failed.
I'm not sure if this is quite metagaming to be honest. If you were constantly running up against a bunch of different things all with different methods of attempting to kill you would you not try and get a second opinion before making the judgement the party is safe?
>>
>>51834841
Wizards Man! Also Soldiers would need that info for when adventurers lose, and bad shit comes their way, town guards, non-adventuring nobles with standing armies because why bot they're nobles and need soldiers to fuck with their enemies, all would buy the books and use them, and books were very valuable and expensive before the printing press was invented, so yeah. Lastly also this>>>51834868
>>
What's the best spell card website?
>>
>>51834868
Why would they not make their own specific copy for shit that they in particular run into and have their own methods of fighting? Why would they rely on the words of some faraway king and fuel the production of more of his books? And in such a case they wouldn't be exactly privy to just release said books.
>>
>>51834888
What Good aligned adventurer wants innocent people to die when they can sell a book to someone who protects them?
>>
How many hours until UA?
>>
>>51834980
51834980 hours
>>
>>51834980
Yes
>>
>>51834980
No.
>>
>>51834980
Maybe
>>
File: 1486433945905-tg.jpg (5KB, 161x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486433945905-tg.jpg
5KB, 161x250px
>>51833662
why does this sound so funny
>>
>>51834627
>my point was that someone in every world/setting would write a book detailing every known monster or humanoid or aberration or what have you
debatable. in order to write that stuff, the author needs to a) observe the creatures in question and b) not get killed doing so
Even if someone did manage to do that, and we assume that their book is distributed widely enough that the average fighter will have read it cover to cover, the person doing the research could've made a mistake.
>>
>>51833757

You can have smaller loose pages for spells if you reach your maximum. Might give it a little extra vibe that you're a well studied wizard and need to occasionally jot down notes when you don't have your book right beside you so you don't forget your thoughts.
>>
>>51832711
Oh, THAT DM
Can you put "Oil Guy" in the name field everytime you talk about your campaign please? It's pretty entertaining.
>>
>>51834768
More well known monsters probably also have as much false information as true information surrounding them.
>>
>>51835161
Not really debatable someone would have done it and survived doing it, most likely a wizard, but someone. While adventurers like PC's are rare, adventurers as a whole are usually not uncommon, they would most assuredly be studying monsters and finding out how to slay them, as long as weaknesses and strengths such as primary offensive abilities are catalogued, other kinds of mistakes will matter very little.
>>
Secretely hoping that they don't change Master of Lore and that they will release Mordenlainen Disjunction, just to Dispel Magic everything in a radius of 1 mile.
>>
>>51835264
they will you faggot.
>>
>>51835264
When will you people learn that the thing changes the RANGE not the AREA OF EFFECT
>>
>>51834813
That's why passive perception exists.

Otherwise, players should say 'okay, I want to roll perception' and get told there's nothing. Then they can pester people to say, 'well, I really think something's suspicious, but I can't find anything'.

However, if you're trying to keep something hidden, use player passive perception instead and have a stealth roll against it (or, for some objects, there might be no stealth roll at all)

>>51832928
RAW is that you get crits while they're unconscious and probably a surprise round.
If you can't kill them in that time, then that's your fault for being fucking terrible.

None of this pussy 'you just kill them' shit. If you're a player and you're sleeping in a tent, do you just get told 'okay, a bandit comes up and instantly kills you. har har.'?
>>
>>51835262
>all settings necessarily have detailed and accurate treatises written about monsters that are available to adventurers of all background

Stop posting any time.
>>
>>51835264
>wizard attempts to dispel everything in a mile
>the DM responds by informing the wizard that there was a cache of thousands of artifacts buried exactly a mile below him and that he now has to pass 1000 DC 25 Wisdom Saving throws in order to avoid losing all spellcasting ability permanently.
>He's also attracted the attention of the entire elder cosmology of the setting, who are annoyed that their eldritch bank's services were disrupted, and their stashes rendered useless.
>>
>>51835333
Why wouldn't they all have that? unless your setting does not have monsters or anything mythological, you would have such a book. and even without mythological beings you still have animals who would be catalogued by some enterprising human, and I never said it would be available to every background, just that wizards would have read it, and Nobles and kings Paladin orders and places that would Train Fighters, and most likely soldiers in both nobles and kings armies, nothing more.
>>
Actually, if you can take actions out of combat, couldn't you

A) First, before combat starts, ready an action to hit an enemy once combat starts.
B) Use your reaction to attack when the enemy is surprised.
C) Use your turn to attack when the enemy is surprised.
D) Having already rolled higher initiative, use another turn to attack the enemy.

For a total of essentially three turns of attacks (Though the reaction attack can't be multiple attacks, I believe)?

Or are you simply not allowed to do things such as take the dodge action or such without rolling initiative and thus meaning the enemy is surprised (even if it still can't see you yet) and then not surprised by the time you attack with your reaction?
>>
>>51835354
>Dispell magic, a level 3 spell, is capable of permanently dispelling god-tier magic that can continue to work even in a level 8 anti-magic field
I call bullshit.
>>
>>51835377
A) That is your surprise round. The enemy is not suprised anymore once you've stepped up and whacked them with a club
B) Reaction to attack? Nigga what?
Rest are legit
>>
>>51835375
Yes, I forgot when Perseus consulted his adventuring handbook to figure out how to kill medusa.
>>
Arcana soon, fellow players.
>>
>>51835412
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/spellsMtoO.html#mages-disjunction
>>
>>51835417
A) There is no surprise round RAW. There is no round before combat starts. Logically you should be able to use actions outside of combat, but perhaps what happens when you use an action outside of combat is initiative is simply ignored because there's nobody to oppose.
B) You do know what readying and action is, right?
>>
>>51835375
Consider that Battlemaster fighters get a very limited ability to determine the stats of monsters (in a "higher or lower than X" sense). That limitation doesn't make sense if we can assume they've just read a monster manual.
>>51835377
>A) First, before combat starts, ready an action to hit an enemy once combat starts.
>everybody readies action to attack when combat starts
>since nobody is attacking (because readying an attack takes your action) combat never starts
>>
>>51835431
Oh, it's a level 9 spell. Still, those wordings are far too specific to be allowed into 5e, it would never translate exactly as worded there.
>>
>>51835221
It can be arranged. At this point I usually mention it in case anyone recognises me and my ongoing crises.
>>
>>51834907
When most adventurers keep adventuring until they die, they wouldn't have time to make a book in between killing shit.
>>
Can I get a clarification?

If I use Shillelagh on my quarterstaff, and I two-hand the quarterstaff, does the versatile property make my attacks d10, since it's damage dice is now a d8?
>>
>>51835434
If you're going by pure RAW you need to pass a Stealth check, and doing so is pretty fucking hard to do while you're literally 5 feet away stabbing them with your spear.
IIRC attacking also auto-unstealths you
>>
I'm going to be playing a wizard soon, and I already feel like an asshole for choosing the class. People who say wizards just make everyone else redundant are exaggerating, right? Right?
>>
>>51835518
No.
>>
>>51835418
No he figured it out from his surroundings, and had help from Athena, Zeus and Hephaestus, I believe? We aren't discussing mythology, (its not the only place people get ideas for fantasy games and books), we're discussing ttrpg settings which if they have monsters and magical/mythological creatures, wouldn't have civilizations without learning how to kill the vast majority of such creatures. They would also pass such information on to their children and perhaps allies in other nations. Someone, somewhere would write it down at some point, that isn't debatable.
>>51835451
Monsters stat's would logically vary,(even if they don't in the book) and Battlemasters would only be able to judge on what they see, so basically just strength and dex and perhaps constitution could be derived from observation.
>>51835508
You have some lazy and evil adventurers then.
>>
>>51835518
No.

Dual wield shillellagh'd clubs instead
>>
>people discussing about the feasibility of monster books when we already have Volo's Guide
>>
>>51835529
>Someone, somewhere would write it down at some point, that isn't debatable.
Yes, it is debatable, because it literally depends on the setting you retard. I just gave you an example of a fantasy setting (greek mythology), where actual divine intervention was required to discover the monster's secret weakness because nobody had written it down. This isn't debatable.
>>
Somebody has plants growing out of them with the roots under their skin. What type of damage do they take tearing them out? Piercing?
>>
File: 1467398887817.gif (1000KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1467398887817.gif
1000KB, 500x500px
Anyone know someone who I can commission to make some art for some custom monsters? I am bored and have money.
>>
>>51835551
YET nobody had written it down YET you moron, Otherwise, how would we know about Greek mythology? Shit doesn't last 3000 years by word of mouth alone.
>>
>>51835580
Actually, early mythology did last thousands of years by word of mouth and oral tradition. Humans didn't start off with writing already researched you dumbass.
>>
>>51835520
You can ready an action to attack with, say, a ranged weapon, and a rogue could potentially still get sneak attack on a reaction attack even if they only make one.

The way I'm thinking of it is, however, with a bit of DM fiat:

1. If you attempt to ready an action because negotiations have turned sour or something, everybody else including potential combatants will also ready an action which thus essentially cancels everything out and there's no point to having a 'readied actions' round. Unless you're into that.
Actually, a 'readied actions' round could be fun.

2. If you attempt to ready an action against enemies that CAN'T ready an action in retaliation.. Well, you're ambushing them, so you already get a free attack which represents your surprise attack.

Pure RAW though it sounds like it could be entirely possible.

Also I'd probably do a tiny homebrew alteration that if two parties are in a stalemate where they're thinking of entering combat or there's conflict but no combat or even both sides are aware but friendly and one guy suddenly decides to attack, they get advantage on initiative after declaring what they intend to do (but someone who beats them on initiative will know what they intend to do and could still smack their shit up for trying to attack all of a sudden). Only problem is that encourages people to attack out of the blue, but it's only advantage on initiative, so eh.
>>
>>51835518
>Using versatile
>Ever
Just use a fucking shield jesus christ it's +2 AC

Unless you're a tomelock or something that can't use a shield.
>>
>>51835600
How much did every myth change in those thousands of years? Many, maaaaany times. Do we even know what the original forms of EVERY myth in the world was? No, no we don't. Nothing survives the test of time save that which is written and preserved, like the Greek Myths, and we wouldn't have those if Christians had succeeded in destroying them as they tried so fucking hard to do.
>>
>>51835660
And your point is?
>>
What's the least talked about subclass? Even talking about how shitty it is counts.

I think it's shadow monk. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone talk about it outside of monk guides, let alone play it. I often forget it exists.
>>
>>51835621
>tomelock

That's the idea yeah.
>>
>>51835672
Enchantment Wizard has yet to have been mentioned in my months of being on here. It's not bad, it's just people don't attribute charisma with Wizard.

Shadow monk too but I play shadow monks so I don't really notice it.
>>
>>51835672
I've DMed for two. Both were unimpressive, but all they focused on was the shadow teleport. They almost totally ignored the other shadow features that make it good at sneaking around and setting up favorable conditions for a party.
>>
>>51834603

... Don't allow multiclassing. That's it.

RAW warlocks at most get 4 5th level spell slots, which is a total of 40d6 of damage over 4 attacks once per day. Not exactly crazy.

If you let them go warlock 3 any full caster 17 though you've got problems. And potentially stacking it with paladin smite would obviously be stupid.
>>
>>51835672
A few I never seem to see mentioned are, Champion Fighter, Thief Rogue, Dragonblood Sorcerer and Ancient Paladin.
>>
>>51835690
In such a case if you haven't multiclassed using GFB/BB + shillelagh isn't a good idea if it's on purpose, but is okay if you're cornered, maybe. Would still be better to use eldritch blast most of the time to repel the enemy 10ft so you can then walk away, but maybe not in cramped environments.
>>
>>51835696
>which is a total of 40d6 of damage over 4 attacks once per day.
Per short rest

>Not exactly crazy.
Still correct for the level it's possible though.
>>
>>51835666
That once we have writing we would use it and preserve knowledge, this is true of all humans in all of fiction, we seek knowledge and once we have it we seek to preserve it in any way we can. originally passed down by word of mouth later passed down by writing on a page, and now passed on through technology.
>>
>>51833880
Where can I get that book?
>>
>>51835697
I think with draconic sorcerer, it's kind of taken as implied at this point that someone discussing sorcerer is talking about it unless otherwise specified. Wild and storm are kind of their own animals.
>>
>>51835724
I would google Leather-bound Journal, but I'm not an idiot like you.
>>
>>51835520
>you need to pass a Stealth check

You need to pass a Stealth vs Passive Perception check, granting advantage on the PP (+5) and / or Disadvantage on the roll depending on the environment (such as one given to loud foot steps, or lack of cover)
>>
>>51835721
Devils, rakshasas, and other such evil creatures that make long-term plans would probably go out of their way to destroy knowledge about them and spread disinformation.

That could be a pretty fun basis for a villain or villains in a campaign.
>>
>>51835579
You can always ask around in the drawthread general, or you could drop some contact info and I'll ask my girlfriend if she wants to take on anymore commissions.
>>
>>51835713
Yes, it's powerful, but it's not any better than a paladin.

I dare say it's a more burstey paladin with a bit less non-burst damage, bit less health, no healing, no aura of protection, possible level 6-9 spells later, etc.

I think it balances out in the end if you don't allow multiclassing, though the hexblade's curse seems a bit strong.

What I'm more worried about is the 'see through walls' ability and the 'slow enemies by 10ft' ability. Slowing all enemies by 10ft while also pushing them back 10ft would be a nightmare.
>>
>>51835672
Valor bard has to be up there. Lore bard being the mechanically strongest thing you can play probably has a part in that.
>>
You folk think we're gonna get an Unearthed Arcana today? I have no idea what it would be tho, Sohei and Mystic?
>>
>>51835753
>Slowing all enemies by 10ft while also pushing them back 10ft would be a nightmare.

Most enemies have speed over 20 ft. so I can't see how this matters once the fight has actually started.
>>
>>51835696
Warlock spell slots refresh on shortrest, and the damage dice are d8s. At all levels, a warlock can pump more spell slot levels into smiting than a paladin can, at a more efficient damage rate (2d8/level vs. 2d8+1d8 per level after first), with no damage cap. The warlock can also smite more often, assuming that your DM follows the standard adventuring day guidelines. Note also that 2d8 per spell level is more efficient than most single target spells, and warlocks get tons of "always on" type features so even without spell slots they're viable characters.

>>51835721
And all that writing in all of history was 100% accurate too, right, especially the ones about scientific subjects.

God, your metagaming relies on so many fucking assumptions about the setting (writing exists, writing is not recent, monsters are not recent, writing about the monsters is not based on innaccuracies and poor observations, writing is easily available to my character), etc, that it's a wonder you ever thought "this is not debatable". Ass.
>>
>>51834760

You could always crib a dungeon from part of an official adventure that you don't intend running with your group. For example, I have a group playing PotA, and a group where I do a mix of DMs Guild modules and improv (100% improv now that I'm comfortable with it).

A few months back, I had nothing ready for my freeform group, so I ran Feathergale Spire from PotA with the enemies refluffed slightly. It went great.

So for you, crack open the MEGA (or one of the campaign books, if you have them) and jack something. For a hard hitting level six party, you could use:

- One of the Elemental Temples from PotA

- The Amber Temple from Curse of Strahd

- One of the middle sections from Storm King's Thunder (since most of these get skipped, you can even run that campaign with the same group and just do a different segment next time around).

- Some DMs Guild quest you either buy or rip from the MEGA.
>>
>>51835760
Current bets on for Mystic with Sohei as a secondary guess. Outside odds on Barbarian in the guess we're going round again.
>>
>>51835672

Monk of the 4elements. The jury is out on that it is terrible, but unlike Bladelock and Ranger, nobody cares to shit up the thread every 30 minutes asking how to "fix it"
>>
>>51835753
Yeah I agreed with you at the end of the post.

In my DMing experience, most of the smite stuff tapers off in usefulness as levels increase anyway. It's not useless, but if that's the player's 1st choice for using spell slots, they tend to underperform.
>>
If a Satyr was a player race, what bonuses would you give it?

+2 CHA, +1 DEX? Extra movement speed like Wood Elf? Perhaps a natural weapon?
>>
File: oyvey.gif (11KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
oyvey.gif
11KB, 501x585px
>>51835492
Have you considered arranging an oil-making enterprise as a side business? Seems to be a very lucrative market in this world.
If there's some mediterraneanesque city in the setting, you could go after a parcel of land in the region with olive trees already planted or you could buy uncultivated land and plant the seeds, which should start to bear fruits in about 5 years or so.
This could work better if your party would like to have a base of operations, so you could build a castle as normal and use the surrounding lands for the trees as a bonus.
Then employ some workers of the nearby city in an oil press. Lots of shekels to be made.
>>
>>51835753
>Yes, it's powerful, but it's not any better than a paladin.

No, it's objectively better than a paladin. You're looking at 5d8 max smites, versus 10d8 max smites, which also happen more often, on a caster with access to 6th through 9th level spells.
>>
>>51835696
>which is a total of 40d6 of damage over 4 attacks

Per short rest. Which autocrit if you combine it with an Assassin
>>
>>51835773
Because the fix has already happened with that unofficial version.
>>
>>51835779
I just used the Tabaxi stats for my setting.
>>
>>51835740
I never said that they couldn't or wouldn't do that, most other creatures don't have either the intelligence or the power to destroy the knowledge about them. the things you mentioned would likely only care if their True Names were known, as those confer absolute power over them. Lastly, while Devils might spread disinformation, Demons would consider information about killing them to make killing mortals less boring and more of a challenge.
>>
>>51835760
With the warlock Archetypes released they now have all the classes with more than a few Archetypes, going away from Archetypes seems like a good idea.

Mystic would be cool cause I need something to play when Yawning Portal comes out. Or some more feats would be nice, maybe some additional rules, I saw crafting be one though I don't think they will change the current rules cause it means magic items aren't a necessity.
>>
>>51835790
With the natural attack dealing bludgeoning rather than slashing obviously.
>>
>>51835576
Piercing for tearing out.
Is it using their blood and life force to grow? Add some necrotic as well.
>>
>>51835753
>>51835713
>>51835775
Thinking it over, on second thought, it might be a tad overpowered. Lifedrinker competes with improved divine smite and with hexblade's curse they might actually reach the same damage output as a non-oathbreaker PAM paladin. Compared to a non-PAM paladin it'd definitely trump them. Then, having level 6 to 9 spells feels like it'd make it even better than a paladin, though I suppose you'd have to weigh the value of lay on hands and aura of protection and such.

>>51835765
You have a 30ft speed enemy.

They are 10ft away.
You push them back 10ft.
You slow them 10ft.

They now have to take 20ft to move back towards you.
But you have 30ft speed, so you can just walk back and they'll have to dash up to you.. And even if they dash and you move 30ft back, they won't reach you if I'm correct, since it's 20ft+20ft speed.

Combine this with the fact you could push them back even further by hitting them multiple times with eldritch blast, and you can effectively prevent an enemy from ever getting near you, as long as you have a room of about 50ft size.

That said, I guess it's only really broken once you start adding in action surge and quicken spell, which requires multiclassing, which you shouldn't allow.
>>
>>51835789

Ah. Well then I say it's the Mastermind Rogue, or the Enchanter Wizard (Mostly because anything you want to do with *specifically* enchanting, the Bard and the Warlock do better)
>>
>>51835768
I also never said it was all accurate, asshole, only that as long as certain kinds of info were preserved and known other mistakes were less meaningful, people making shit up, would, of course, happen.
>>
>>51835672
>Shadow monk
>Bad

YOU WOT M8?!

Shadow monk gets free bonus action teleport at lvl 3 meaning you get up to 60ft extra movement per turn.

At lvl 6 you also learn to cast a few great spells for cheap. Silence, Darkness and the other spells are pretty great stuff.
>>
Druid wildshape. Do you prefer equipment melding into form, or falling to the ground in place?
>>
>>51835779
Proficiency in Performance.
>>
>>51835792
Chill, I'm trying to turn this shit posting into something that's useful.

If I was a devil, I'd want everyone convinced that I was immune to everything but fire, so if they want a hope of killing me, they better bring the torches. Oh and I'm a master of lightning magic, so come prepared to resist that. :^)
>>
>>51835779
When I had to make a DMPC satyr I just had them get fast movement friends cantrip and the sylvan language.

2 Dex1 Charisma vice versa work
>>
>>51835812
Sorry m8 but those are switched around. Shadow Step 6 spells at 3.

I think they are great short rest pass without trace helps a lot
>>
>>51835812
You mixed up the levels. You're right, but I haven't had any shadow monk players who grasp how useful the shadow arts are.

It would seem people drawn to the class are combat-fags.
>>
>>51835814
Well falling to the ground isn't particularly helpful.
>>
>>51835814
We had our Druid polymorph into a non conspicuous beast during a party, when he shaped shifted, he just happened to be holding all of our weapons. When the real party started, he shifted back, we picked up our weapons and just went to town.
>>
>>51835812
Read it again. The question is what people talk about least even to say it sucks. I was going to say "most forgettable" but that might have people saying "if we can answer we didn't forget it har har."
>>
>>51835805
>They are 10ft away.
>You push them back 10ft.
>You slow them 10ft

Well, actually, you have 3 bolts, so if you focus on a guy, you push them back 30 feet, and they can only move 20

But since you have 30 feet of movement, you can turn melee range into 40 feet of distance within one round.
>>
>>51835810
You were trying to justify your metagaming, which requires that the information your character read in their background (because screw roleplaying gathering that knowledge before hand amirite?) was accurate.

Otherwise it's just as likely that the guy thinks the monster is vulnerable to onions as it is to strength checks.

Fuck you want a modern example of false information being propagated on a massive scale? homeopathic medicine. The homeopathic medicine industry completely disproves your notion that civilized society would necessarily propagate accurate information.
>>
>>51835821
It's not shit posting it's discussion. but yeah great material for antagonists. especially extra-planar ones or ones seeking knowledge a PC might have gained from and Elven or Dwarven ruin or so on.
>>
didn't the last several UA'a come out around noonish EST? Or was it like 3pm EST? I cant quite recall
>>
>>51835780
kek

We're in standard FR with a few custom cities, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, we aren't dealing in internal consistency with our DM, or we wouldn't have an oil crisis to start with.

I could try taking out in-game insurance against Acts of God though. Or random dragon attacks.
>>
>>51835854
>Well, actually, you have 3 bolts,

Sorry that was retarded. I've had 3 bolts for so long I forgot it's a scale thing
>>
>>51835837
>>51835838
Yep, it's idiots who don't comprehend that Monk is a support class+mage killer+offtank.

>>51835853
Ah well Shadowmonk is simply not talked about outside of Teleporting Panda builds becaise Monk on its owin is terrible for multiclassing.
>>
Got a question about the application of Martial Arts. Does it apply to both attacks when you hit level 5 and get Extra Attack? Would I get four attacks or just three?

So would it be, Unarmed (or quarterstaff) attack, Martial Arts attack, Extra Attack Unarmed (or quarterstaff), followed by finally Martial Arts attack? Or is it just Attack, Extra Attack, Martial Arts attack?

Could I apply Stunning Strike to any and all of those that hit?
>>
>>51835781
Paladins can save all their smites for a final boss fight, whereas warlocks can't. At that point, the paladin has better burst overall, but that requires them to conserve their spell slots, making them worse on the less important fights.

Paladins should hopefully reach a higher average non-burst damage, too, with polearm mastery and improved divine smite. If the DM gives out magical weapons, the magical weapon invocations won't matter so much (The +1/+2/+£ ones). Otherwise, combined with possibly using hexblade curse, I might be worried the warlock will end up with better damage.

Then they have lay on hands, channel divinity, aura of protection, probably slightly better AC and maybe a level 7 extra aura. Those are features the warlock can't really replicate, but then you have to weigh them against the other benefits the warlock gets such as their remaining invocations and their level 6 to 9 spells.

Honestly I think the 'see through walls' ability needs to be removed, the +1/+2/+3 magic item thing needs to be removed (And instead your invocations can buff a magical item you already have), hexblade needs a bit of a rework and .. I think the smites are fine-ish, if they're non-multiclassing. Still could've been done better than being super burstey, though.
>>
>>51835881
You have only one Bonus Action
>>
>>51835855
I'm a Forever DM, of course I metagame, but when it come to whether the information is accurate or not, when a player of mine rolls their Knowledge or Nature or Creatures check if they fail, I force them to operate on wrong information, they remembered what they were taught it was just inaccurate, if they pass, they get what's in the MM.
>>
>>51835861
I am in Central Standard Time. Twitter says Jeremy Crawford tweeted about it at 1:20 PM.
Sorcerer was tweeted about at 1:08 PM

It is currently ~10:20 AM. So i'd say in 2-3 hrs
>>
>>51835881
You only have one bonus action per turn.

Extra Attack only applies when you take the Attack action with your action for the turn.

You can apply Stunning Strike to every hit.
>>
>>51835844
What about thematics?
>>
>>51835881
Martial Arts doesn't add attacks it just gives you the bonus action attack and changes the die of unarmed strikes and monk weapons. Level 5 is:

Regular Attack (d6+Dex Unarmed Strike)
Extra Attack (d6+Dex Unarmed Strike)
Bonus Action Unarmed Strike (d6+Dex Unarmed Strike)
>>
>>51835881
It's Attack with monk weapon/unarmed strike + Attack with monk weapon/unarmed strike + Bonus action Unarmed strike granted by Martial Arts.

So only once.
Flurry of blows lets you attack twice with a bonus action but is severely outclassed by the Stunning strike abillity.
If FOB was 3 unarmed strikes instead then it would probably even it out.
>>
>>51835885
>>51835781
Actually, maybe I'm thinking instead the warlock should get something similar to smite spells.

Use a bonus action to cast a spell that then boosts your damage.Make it not deal quite so much damage, but have an additional effect.
>>
>>51834172
>>51834201
Warden is a duelist battle master fighter, Conqueror is a protection battle master, peacekeeper is a TWF champion or assassin rogue, Lawgiver is a gwf Champion Fighter
>>
>>51835908
>Flurry of blows lets you attack twice with a bonus action but is severely outclassed by the Stunning strike abillity.

But you can do both at once.
>>
>>51835888
>>51835897
>>51835903
Whoops, missed that little tid bit. Thanks for correcting me there.
>>
>>51835885
A PAM Hexblade outclasses a Paladin simply because it's far less MAD and gets better features overall.
>>
>>51835783
2 of them max would auto crit, maybe 3 if you dual wield.
And that would require you dipping into rogue, which delays the damage (and does the very thing I specifically said not to, which is don't allow multiclassing).

And of course requires you to actually have surprise, which despite what /tg/ seems to think is not actually 100%
>>51835781
Well lets have a look then, assuming level 17, a warlock can over 2 turns deal a burst of 40d8. Assuming he gets his requiste 2 short rests per day he can do this 3 times for a total of 120d8 split over 3 of, what is it 6 fights per day?

Compare to a 17th level paladin. 5th level slot (5d8), 3 4th (20d8), 4 3rd (36d8), 4 2nd (48d8), 4 1st (56d8).

So yes on face value far worse. Paladins however can wear heavy armour, and can uttilise polearm master plus great weapon master. If it's a oathbreaker paladin it also gets charisma to damage (equal to thirsting blade) and a additional 1d8 on every attack with no resources.

I'd say that warlock, assuming enough short rests pulls ahead offensively over the paladin, but not massively, and falls behind defensively significantly, unless you're doing a Archfey who can do it at range.

Ignoring archfey, and hexblade i'd say the new warlock invocations are pretty balanced. Much higher burst, for lower defence, and a reliance on short rests.

Of course this is all at level 17 when a wizard is hurling wish and meteor swarm around so... yeah.

I think it's on whole a pretty well balanced option, and compares pretty evenly with your typical vengence PAM/GWM paladin, falling slightly behind a Oathbreaker version.

But hey, that's just like, my opinion man.

But yes multiclassing breaks it awfully fast.
>>
>>51832633
I want the warlord class to be a thing again, they teased It in Volo's and since then I have been waiting for that UA
>>
>>51835908
Stunning Strike doesn't cost a bonus action, only Ki points. What stops me from using Flurry of Blows then spending Ki on all of those that hit to apply Stunning Strike?
>>
>>51835760
They said so last week on the WoTC D&D facebook page.

Now we wait. Unless my math is wrong their office day hasn't properly started yet and won't for half an hour.

Sure there are probably a few souls who have filtered in before 9, but things like the online release probably need to go through a few hands...or the online team has a specific time they like to drop it.

Maybe the designers also need to get settled and open a few tabs to forums and social media which they monitor for the initial feedback...

I wonder, do they wait to see initial reactions to the playtest articles anxiously. Do they have a few things they expect for us to think of as crap?
>>
>>51835921
Yes by spending the same limited resource.

I preffer doing more consistent stunning strikes than more attacks.
>>
>>51832617
DM was getting sick of your shit.
>>
>>51835331
>>51834870

Really? To me it sounds like a cop out because he does it every time he fails a skill check and only if he fails a check. He's the type of player that if you ask him to roll a skill check he's immediately suspicious of something due to the mere fact he has to roll dice.
>>
>>51835956
It's the strong use of ki points, but eventually you have enough ki points that it's not a stretch to do both.

Open Hand also gets extra control from their flurry, so they have more reason to do it. A stunned creature auto-fails the saving throws on the Open Hand flurry effects.
>>
>>51835885
>Paladins can save all their smites for a final boss fight, whereas warlocks can't. At that point, the paladin has better burst overall, but that requires them to conserve their spell slots, making them worse on the less important fights.

Not really. Burst is damage in a round. If a warlock hits both their attacks, they can slam 20d8+4d6+40 (assuming GWM, +5 str and +5 cha), with twice as much chance to crit in a round. A paladin can only muster up 15d8+2d10+1d4+45 (assuming GWM, +5 to str, and Polearm Master). Average results of those rolls before crit? 144 for the warlock, and 126 for the Paladin. The warlock has quantifiably better burst.
>>
I want to play as a punching man without any supernatural ki mumbo jumbo. Am I stuck playing monk and refluffing it?
>>
> DM gives short rest after every combat
Time to multiclass into warlock..
>>
Since we might be getting Mystic today. Share you ideas or past experiences playing a Psionic character.

I unfortunately have never played one, but when my friends and I played 4e i had an idea for a Hobgoblin Battlemind who was cooked up in a goblin lab and was essentially Mewtwo as he was crafted from the DNA of ancient "Proto-goblin" fossils.
Though i had no intention of making him anykind of Edgelord. He was going to a "Spiritual Warrior" who sees things like hate and sorrow as the greater evils of the world and seeks to defeat them.
>>
>>51835973
You could play a fighter who uses his fists.
>>
>>51835956
You don't have to declare stunning strike until after the hit connected though. Flurry is more chances to land the hit, so from turn to turn, you'll want to be fluid about how you're going to spend ki.

Stunning on turn n tends to be better than stunning on turn n+1 in a fight that will end in 3-5 rounds.
>>
>>51835948
Each Ki point you spend on anything else is less Ki to spend on Stunning Strike, which is usually the best thing to spend Ki on.
>>
>>51835973
Tavern-brawler feat.

Enjoy your low AC and STR dependency.
>>
>>51835973

Do what >>51835982 said, and ask your DM to refluff a Club as somekind of Gauntlet to punch people with.
>>
>>51835975
Get extra obnoxious with it.

Stone Sorcerrer/Hexblade warlock and grab PAM.

>All attacks hey of CHA
>AC keys of CON

You don't need any other stat.
>>
>>51835982
For that wonderful 1+str damage
>>51835973
>>51634683
>>
>>51835973
Barbarian or Revised ranger that is always angry or always punching specifically who they don't like.
>>
>>51836012
Plus smiting with up to 7th level spells!
>>
>>51836018
I was assuming Homebrew was disallowed,\. but if his DM allows it, go ahead.
>>
>>51835971
Hmm a oathbreaker GWM/PAM can do 3d10+60+18d8. They don't have as high a chance to crit, but I don't think you accounted for the proficiency bonus to damage for the hexblade curse. That's on turn 1. Turn 2 the warlock pulls ahead even more as the paladin starts having to use sub 4th level slots, but from turn 3 onwards the paladin will quickly catch up with the warlock.

Of course that assumes a insanely tough boss creature to be able to survive that much damage.

Hexblade is a bit strong, and Archfey kind of gives up the main weakness that a smitelock has, so I agree they are a little strong, but i don't think it's as crazy as people talk about.

And once again, i'll point out that despite what you said, a paladin can save everything for the boss and still be pretty competent, with PAM/GWM +cha and +1d8 per hit.

A warlock is gonna have a lot more trouble with that.

However we must consider the warlock having many utility resources that don't inhibit his combat resources, such as 6th-9th spells, and invocations.

Yeah I think i've been convinced that hexblade is definitly on the strong side, and could do with tuning down.
>>
>>51835935
I don't remember there being any invocations that give you PAMs for smiting.

As such, you'd lose all your burst damage compared to the paladin, and you only outclass a strength-focused paladin by hexblade's curse feature. And I still don't like hexblade's design much.

That said, there's an awful workaround. You can use a PAM weapon all the time, but have an invocation smiting weapon ready and switch to it when you want to go full-on murderburst on something. And that prospect.. Is pretty terrifying, considering how useful PAM is to boost their damage.

A normal paladin can become less MAD by taking 3 levels of warlock or 6 levels of bard anyway normally, and those are pretty plausible multiclasses after level 11.

>>51835967
Well, he should be suspicious. You're invoking suspicion. This is why passive skill stats exist, so you can roll against stats without telling the player 'bad stuff's about to happen'.
Of course, in a very heavily roleplaying game that wants you to 'just have fun' rather than playing the game more hardcore, they're a dickish player.

>>51835971
I probably wouldn't recommend GWM on either. Except maybe warlock, just for the bonus action possibility.
You should have more than one round to smite in, so it should be less about how many times you can smite in one turn and more about after using all their slots.
And anyway, hitting absolutely everything with PAM and GWM and no reaction not against a fiend/undead, Paladin is 18d8+2d10GWF+1d4GWF+45.
>>
>>51835935
>>51836012
Curse Bringer and Hex Warrior don't work with polearms.
>>
So my friends want me to run a DnD session. Should I just gen them all up characters then find a dungeon crawl?
>>
>>51836047
>Use Cha for attack rolls with weapons that lack the twohanded property
>lack the twohanded property

Read the entry for Quarterstaff again and then just shut up.
>>
>>51836036
(157.5 for Oath, 156 for hexlock with prof bonus, average damage, not accounting for crits or ac, i'd assume with no advantage hexlock crits would pull it ahead in damage, falling behind if a fight lasts longer than 2 rounds)
>>
>>51836074
Tell me again how a Hexblade is going to use Curse Bringer with a quarterstaff to out-burst an Oathbreaker.
>>
>>51836018

>>51634708
>>
File: 1464206989163.png (2MB, 1440x1849px) Image search: [Google]
1464206989163.png
2MB, 1440x1849px
>>51835973
Tavern brawler fighter or barbarian
Or ignore the ki and look at it as "moxy" or "energy"

Or use a homebrew like pic related
>>
>>51836036
My numbers are wrong, 1 of those 1d10s is a 1d4, which drops about 3 poitns of damage putting hexlock slightly ahead before crits.
>>
>>51836047
You can switch between weapons and blow all your spell slots in two turns, then go back to using polearms.
>>
>>51836063
Yeah, nothing wrong with that. You could even just use pre-genned characters and run something like the Cragmaw Hideout from LMOP.
>>
>>51836063
Ask them if they want to make characters or be given some. After the first session they can choose characters all they want.
>>
Y'know, i'm sure everyones gonna tell me how much of an idiot I am for believing this, but running the numbers actually makes me pretty impressed with WOTC balance. They've managed to keep the options all quite close to each other in total damage.

Unless you mutliclass ofc.
>>
>>51836109
So how is it going to be less MAD to be a Hexblade and outburst the Oathbreaker when you're switching to a Strength weapon for your non-smite?
>>
>>51836134
The warlock UA is only the 2nd time I've seen something in UA and decided it shouldn't be multiclassed.

1st was Ambuscade ranger.
>>
>>51836121
>>51836131
Sounds good. I think if I give them the basic choice of Rogue, Warrior, Cleric & Wizard. I doubt it'll go much further than the first session anyway
>>
>>51836103
You have to also take into account the actual hex spell, which can be maintained from a prior battle or short rest without consuming spell slots for this battle. Add another 2d6 to the warlock damage.
>>
>>51836136
Mate, he fucked up and he's trying to save it, don't worry about it.
>>
I think using a quarterstaff in one hand and bonus action swinging again is dumb and a simple oversight that is gonna get corrected. It seems silly that thehighest damaging is coming from a simple weapon.

I hope they errata that PAM requires wielding the weapon with two hands. No +2 AC d6 d4 dumb shit.
>>
>>51836155
I know, let's see him dig his hole deeper answering questions.
>>
>>51836102
Why does every option for a Punchy character require no armour?
>>
>>51836136
Not all smite weapons are strength-based. You could use the bow for all anyone cares.
You only use the weapon for two rounds, so you don't need to achieve maximum DPR with it - you just need to use all your spell slots with it, and then you return to your hexblade curse (if you're still using that) + PAM + lifedrinker, shield+charisma-based (Possibly +3, I don't think you can make the quarterstaff +3 if you have an invocation that gives you a special weapon) quarterstaff.

Honestly, oathbreaker builds shouldn't be considered valid. We've already proven oathbreaker to be kind of broken already.
They outdamage AND outburst even the best built fighters and then have all the sweet paladin features on top of that.
>>
>>51836195
Because punching people in armor looks stupid. Like dude, lmfao why didn't you just bring your sword with your plate mail?
>>
File: 1456597372533.jpg (181KB, 805x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1456597372533.jpg
181KB, 805x1200px
>>51832713

Is it the same guy that did pic related/ Because it looks pretty similar.

Large boobs with noticeable sag are the best.
>>
>>51836154
First turn bonus action is consumed by using your hexblade curse, so it's only relevant from turn 2 onwards. Additionally, while you can after your first short rest of the day, maintain it without needing to expend a spell slot, it's going to cost you a slot for the first 3rd of the day losing you 10d8 of smite.

It's a pretty specific scenario, but when included it'll add 7 damage per turn assuming all attacks hit but don't crit. It's certainly something, but it's really better for a blastlock, over a bladelock.

Certainly provides a bit more power in nonsmite fights, which is it's primary use, but it's still nothing on a nonsmiting oathbreaker,

Nonsmite round.
No hex, due to applying curse

4d6+32 for hexlock. 19-20 crits 48 average.
2d10+2d8+1d4+60 20 crit 82.5
Round 2
6d6+32 19-20 crits 55 average for hexlock
Paladin is still happily sitting at 82.5.
>>
>>51836156
NOTHING BEATS THE STICK!
>>
>>51836207
The bow is Archfey-only. You won't be using Hexblade Curse with it. Hexblades don't get a smite invocation except for Curse Bringer, a greatsword.
>>
>>51836208
Cuz I want to look cool and punch you in the face with my spiked gauntlet.
>>
>>51836207
Yeah, except hexblade can ONLY take a greatsword for smiting. So no you have to use strength.
>>
>>51836195
Have you ever tried to wear armor in the ring? Do you see them wearing armor or anything? Look at even the old timey photos of fistacuffs boxing matches where they didn't give a fuck about the health of the fighters. No armor. It's earier to move around, dip and dodge blows than it would be to try to absorb the hits.

Plus its the flavor of unarmed attacks to be unarmored. Monks would use dex to dodge, but boxers would have the con to absorb the hits. All part of the flavor anon.
>>
>>51836225
>>51836232
Oh, well. Use strength then. Doesn't matter if you only have a +2 to strength, almost all your damage comes from smiting and you only smite after you hit.
>>
>>51829859
>Acid->Radiant-
When demons exist.

>>51829953
Rally is a good example because I think hp goes up more 3 - 20 than your rallying ability does.

>>51829955
Dealing radiant damage at all is useful, it counts cover from the floor/sky instead of the center and fireball is still buffed to be better than other spells. Insect plague is a great spell though.

>>51830142
>flying animal companion
Should be pterodactyl, because Eberron.
>>51830348
>That guy with 2 18's and 12's in the dump stats.
>Roll dice. Get standard array.
>TFW <18 point buy.
That's one fucked party.
>>51831177
Since no one answered this:Yes.
>>51832131
When I heard they prefer "they" I thought aetherborn were some kind of collective entities, like Traeki/Jophur. I didn't play for Kaladesh.
>>
How would you change Wild Magic so it occurred more often, but wasn't unfair?
>>
Playing a Necromancer with a couple of skelliebros and the skeletons feel kinda flat. Are there any tips for roleplaying some goofy goons?
>>
>>51836207

Additionally, if we aren't considering Oathbreaker, the best damage paladin build, we shouldn't be considering hexblade, the best damage bladelock build.

Oathbreaker only loses 15 damage per round over a normal paladin.

Hexblade loses 12 damage per hit, and since you don't have a 2-handed weapon you lose GWM for another 20 damage lost, total 32, not even accounting for the smaller weapon die. (which probably loses you about 6-4 damage).

Archfey is still highly competitive, possibly even better, and fiend with the charisma damage aura, and hellslap can compete, but it's definitely still starts to lean in the paladins favour.
>>
>>51836195
You need all the arm flexibility you can get and unless you're wearing some kind of medium thickness leather wifebeater you aren't going to get any with most armor.
>>
>>51836213
Nah man, you can just wake up in the morning and cast hex on a rat and then kill it. You don't need to waste time in combat casting the hex.
>>
>>51836252
So you're not MAD, but you used point-buy to get to 14 in what should have been a dump stat? How's the Dex and Con in this build?
>>
>>51836208
>>51836246

My Dark Souls 2 and 3 character wears heavy armour and fist weapons. I think it's pretty sweet. I just run at people with caution thrown to the wind and punch the shit out of them.

>You can't hurt me! I'm made of metal!

>Metal Man don't need weapons to crush your puny ass.
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 424x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 424x550px
>>51835977
I've been playing one since we started a new campaign on New Year's Day, Yuan-Ti awakened mystic who nobody, but the DM, knows is a Yuan-Ti.

Went with Awakened because it went better with his backstory of being a former Pit Master warlock of Merrshaulk than suddenly being trained in Martial Weapons n shit. I thought it'd be less fun but the multitude of Jedi mind fuckery you can do + getting suggestion for free because of race has been a blast.

What interests you in the class, Anon?
>>
>>51836276

I'll also note i've not been accounting for a paladins reaction attack, which he could smite on, since it's situational.
>>
>>51836212
That is one hot wizard.
>>
>>51836246
Armor barely hinders movement just ask a HEMA Fag, it might hinder the movement of your arms, or torso, but not by much, certainly not enough to badly impact a fight.
>>
>>51836212
Agreed with your spoiler. But not too much. Point forward, not down.
>>
>>51836283
Didn't say you had to. You've still gotta spend a bonus action to change target, which is, as I said, consumed by your hexblade curse.
>>
>>51836270
How's it unfair?
>>
>>51836297
warlocks can react and smite too.
>>
>>51836285
Or a +1 then? Does it matter that badly?

As long as your modifier isn't so low you can't hit, how high your strength is is really sort of besides the point. You're only using this weapon for maybe two or three rounds a day to fuck people up with burst damage and probably pass around a curse while you're doing that burst.

Though honestly 14 in strength is probably better, and you could easily achieve pretty okay dex and con (Or, even better, pick up heavy armour), even if it's slightly less.

The real concern here is that it's not easy to switch from shield+quarterstaff to greatsword, because shields take an action to put on and off.

>>51836276
GWM isn't a good idea in the first place. You have modifiers such as lifedrinker which make GWM less valuable, and PAM is generally superior once you have those bonuses. You want to sacrifice GWM for PAM, and it's not as simple as losing X damage when GWM was reducing your hit chance and thus your overall damage when you used it. Granted, it's good if you know the enemy has low AC. Smaller weapon die is only 3.5 damage lost, and you also get a shield which is +2 AC, but see above for the complication about switching between shield+quarterstaff and sword.

Not to mention, PAM gives reaction attacks. The paladin could've made 4 attacks on a turn, each of which benefits from oathbreaker, so if you hit all possible hits it'd be more damage than 15 lost.
>>
>>51836345
How? The paladin is getting it from some-one entering his threaten range, with PAM. What does the warlock have that would reasonably grant him a reaction attack?
>>
>>51836334
It isn't right now. Right now it's too lenient. I want it to happen more often, but not too much. More than it is now, but not like 50/50
>>
>>51836270
When you use Tides of Chaos it guarantee rolls on the table when you cast a spell. after looking through the whole list, like 1/3 are stuff you don't want to roll on.

Yuan-Ti make great wild magic sorcerer cause advantage on saves vs magic against themselves.
>>
File: 1487583810205.png (92KB, 503x257px) Image search: [Google]
1487583810205.png
92KB, 503x257px
>>51836271
Assign them names and backstories, roleplay their actions in a shallow way compared their old personalities.

I.E. one skeleton was an old watch commander for a town, died to bandits(or you?). His hobbies were drinking and playing games, when they're on their downtime you'll notice him try to initiate others into playing with bone dice.
>>
>>51836372
Tides of Chaos
>>
>>51836358
As established, your PAM is not going to work. you can't doff the shield, you'll be missing very often on your smite attacks, and even 1 miss hugely reduces your damage per round, and i mean HUGELY.

It's not worth it. You're trying to save this but it's crap. I can run the numbers if you really want and show you it's better to just build for you smite weapon and stick with that.

Additionally, while this MIGHT be useful at lower levels, at higher levels you'd have been far better off using your pact weapon. And while GWM does lower your chance to hit, the damage almost always ends up giving you a average increase overall. Plus 10 damage per hit is nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>51836358
>>51836276
Actually, I should probably point out 3.5 is a big deal, but I guess it's less of a big deal when it's 2 damage less than a 1d10 weapon, which is probably what you calculated, 3x2.

>>51836362
PAM.
>>
>>51836362
Sentinel and Mageslayer

>they can't run, that triggers sentinel
>they can't cast, that triggers mage slayer
>they can't attack, that triggers sentinel

Alternatively, a few levels in stone sorcerer to teleport behind someone.
>>
>>51836383
I basically want Wild Magic Surge to occur more often, rather than just on a roll of 1.
>>
>>51836372
Roll every time a spell is cast
Roll on a d10 instead of a d20
Increase chances everytime you roll, like first time is on a 1, second time 1-2, etc until a surge happens
>>
>>51836408
That's literally what Tides of Chaos does.
>>
>>51836408
>Use tides or Chaos for advantage in attack roll.
>Cast Witch Bolt.
>Roll on the magic table.

Start the next turn doing the same thing. You literally can roll on it every turn you have spell slots if you wanted.
>>
>>51836401
>PAM.
All polearms are two handed.
>>
>>51836425
No, Tides of Chaos is something you can invoke.

Wild Magic Surge just happens if you roll a 1 on casting a spell.
>>
>>51836435
Quarterstaves are one-handed versatile polearms
>>
>>51836412
I like this, especially the increasing chances.
>>
>>51836451
Yeah you invoke Tides of Chaos, and then the DM can have you roll a surge at any point (and if they don't they're a fucking idiot). and then after your surge, you get Tides back.
>>
>>51836398
>Hugely
If you have -3 to hit compared to your normal attack, that's a certain percentage chance that you don't deal 2d6+lifedrinker+chamod+possibly charisma. But it's also an attack that wasn't a crit, and regardless of your to-hit modifier, crits occur just as often and are the best time to dump your 10d8 shitload.

And running the numbers depends on a bunch of situational things you'd have to assume such as reaction attack frequency, how often you're switching out to smite and thus how long combats last and how often you have short rests... That sort of thing.

I think I can agree it's not worth it on hexblade even if PAM could potentially give you a bonus and a reaction attack that also adds hexblade curse's damage, but I think the best situation to use this tactic with would be GOOlock.

GOOlock gets that stupid 'see through walls' ability, and they use a one-handed weapon. You can switch out that one-handed weapon with much more ease. If you really make good use of that see through walls ability, it could honestly be pretty powerful.
>>
Arcane Trickster
>You know three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the enchantment and illusion spells on the wizard spell list.

So the third spell can be any Wizard spell? Which one should I grab?
>>
Where's UA? You said there would be a UA!
>>
>>51836401
You said you could smite on your reaction attack. You aren't smiting as a warlock with a polearm. It's not a option. Paladin can. Do you want to add this into the calculations?
>>
>>51836539
Identify would make sense flavour wise
>>
>>51836539
Find Familiar. Get Owl. Spam Help action.
>>
>>51836539
Shield and Find Familiar are the usual choices.
>>
>>51836545
Let's riot! No more use of the coasters!
>>
>>51836549
It's pretty hilarious this one dude's arguments all hinge on confusing the rules for a greatsword and a quarterstaff. And somehow, he can have both as beneficiaries of his pact weapon invocations.
>>
>>51836539
Detect Magic
Find Familiar
Identify
Unseen Servant.

One of those will work.
>>
>>51836539
Feather fall every time
>>
>>51836480
I tell you what, lets compare nonsmiting paladin with a PAM Hexlock, including reaction attack.

PAM Paladin gets
3d10+1d4+80+4d8 for 117
without GWM that's 77

Hex PAM gets
3d6+1d4+48 which is 61

So even then you're still falling behind the paladin. Even if you drop oathbreaker and GWM the non smiting paladin is sitting at 62, comparing pretty favourably, but in this case obviouisly the hexlock starts to pull ahead due to crits.
>>
>>51836556
>>51836558
>>51836559
>>51836581
>>51836601
Hmmm... this is more difficult than I expected lol. I'm wondering if I should just take a level into Wizard for them, plus ritual casting.
>>
>>51836615
And of course, I forgot to account for the fact that turn 1 you have to give up your bonus attack to apply your curse, which loses you a fair bit.
>>
>>51836638
If you're taking a level in Wizard, take 2 and get Diviner so you get Portent.
>>
>>51836638
If you want magic that much, just play a real caster instead of an AT. Bard has lots of magic and rogue-like skills.
>>
Warlock, Pact of the blade, Fiend: Hellish Tiefling Nun that spanks goody two shoes with her eldritch ruler (quarterstaff). Imagining her cha as force of personality instead of beatifulness, with an appearance of an elder, would be this magical realm or a hilarious character idea?
>>
>>51836568
It is.

It's not that bladelock is bad with the new invocations, it's actually quite excellent, but ignoring the raw power of hexlock, and the safety of feylock, it's pretty balanced, and even including those it's not exactly completely overshadowing traditional optimal paladin builds.
>>
>>51836549
Problem is you're talking with a couple of people at once. I've acknowledged the whole time you can't smite on reaction attacks, but I probably butted in on one of the 'where are you getting these reaction attacks from' which I probably didn't realize is supposed to be a smiting reaction.

See, this is another situational thing. You can attack with a smiting weapon and drop it and pull out the quarterstaff afterwards, still granting you reaction attacks. It doesn't matter that you can't smite on the reaction attacks, because how often you smite isn't limited by how often you attack - it's limited by how many spell slots you have.
Also, I'm not sure since it says 'when you take the attack action and attack ONLY with an X', but presumably you could make a quarterstaff attack, make a bonus attack and then drop the quarterstaff and attack with a smiting weapon.

>>51836615
You'd do better to do a quarterstaff+shield paladin comparison, though quite interestingly a quarterstaff +duelling paladin will average more damage than a non-GWF halberd paladin, by a small margin.

A paladin probably shouldn't be using GWM at that level if they have PAM and you're probably not including lifedrinker on the warlock's damage, I believe. That said, I think there's still an issue with not being able to use lifedrinker / +3 weapon on a non-pact weapon, and you wouldn't be able to make both the GOO mace and quarterstaff a pact weapon.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mass-combat

Oh...okay. I guess no Mystic.
>>
>>51836675
>>51836615
Or, uhh, instead of GOO mace, pretty much any pact weapon invocation. Since you only get one pact weapon, right?

There's also a damage boost on account of having higher crit chance, but honestly the hexblade is awkward to calculate since it's a burst.
>>
>>51836638
Your rogue class is more than fine for it, just stick with AT cause your sneak attack ASIs and rogue abilities will take longer to get and they are all great.
>>
>>51836688
FUCK. I'm sitting on two damn empty levels for my Mystic right now and it's bullshit. I really did NOT want to Multiclass with it but I honestly feel like I have no other choice now.
>>
>>51836688
Oh wow, it's fucking nothing.
>>
>>51836670
It's better than the glaivelock Spawn wannabe Half-Orc I cooked I'll tell you that for free.
>>
>>51836688
I was between Mystic and Warlock for my next character, guess they just made my decision for me.
>>
>>51836702
2 level dip into Fighter or Divination Wizard is always a recommendation 5eg seems to have.
>>
>>51836688
They said Mystic was ready in december. Why do they want to torture us?
>>
>>51836688
>If WotC doesn't put out Mystic next, there will be riots.
>Rules for Mass Combat.
It's kinda funny, actually.
>>
>>51836688
What's the fucking point of this shit. Why couldn't this have been released yesterday? Like, what was so important that they couldn't just upload it from home? It'd have taken what? a fucking minute at the most?
>>
Are there any good editable character sheets I could put on a googledoc to use?
>>
>>51836688
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mass-combat
GOD FUCKING DAMN GIVE ME MYSTIC ALREADY FUCKING KEKS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Can anyone think of any issue with this class combo?
>14 Eldritch Knight/3 Swashbuckler/3 Hexblade Warlock
>>
>>51836675
Well a reminder that summoing a new pact weapon is a action. A whole action. Not a free action, which I think you've forgotten, which really puts the kibosh on your plan, since you don't get CHA without it being a pact weapon. You also only get 1 attack if it's not a pact weapon.

However, I did make some other mistakes. Totalling up you get

3d6+1d4+76 (that's 19 per hit, +cha+cha+prof+3weapon) for 89 damage per hit, which pulls ahead of non smiting paladin by a fair bit.

However we've established you can't reasonably mix this with smiting as a warlock so... i'd say paladin still pulls ahead in total, even using it's worst case, and pulls ahead all the time using it's best options.

I'm not particuarly interested in limiting the paladin to the weapons the warlock has to use. I don't see any reason for it.

Would you care to explain why I have to use a non-optimal weapon set to compare to your optimal weapon set?
>>
File: 1487361349689.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1487361349689.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>51836688
KEKED
KEKED SO HARD
WHEN WILL IT END?
>>
>>51836479
I know.

As DM, I want surges to happen more often then they do without Tides of Chaos.
>>
>>51836688
>EVEN MORE SHITTY MASS COMBAT RULES

WHY
WHY
WHY
>>
>>51836688

I never asked for this
>>
>>51836808
New thread, where we can discuss this disappointment.
>>
>>51836790
Then make it so that they get a surge whenever they roll the spell's level or less. For example, rolling 1 through 5 with a 5th level spell will cause a surge.
>>
>>51836784
Ah i see, you're still hung up on GWM.

If you drop GWM, then yes using Dueling fighting style (bare in mind at no point have I been bothering to calculate in the respectable average damage increase GWM would give assuming RAW ruling) is the better option. It'll provide 12 damage to the paladin, once again pulling it ahead of the hexlocks non smiting damage, while maintaing the option to smite.
>>
>>51836819
Ignore that post, 8 damage, bringing it close to, but not pulling ahead.

Still maintains smite damage though
>>
>>51836816
That works, if they roll it on a d10.
>>
>>51836781
>Multiclassing with UA
I think it's shit.

>>51836784
You also have to account for the fact a +3 weapon would give a greater to-hit. But then you also have to factor in some other fuckery such as not being able to bind a magical weapon of the DM's choice (Because if you do, you technically can no longer summon weapons any longer) and the paladin probably getting a + weapon themself.

>Quarterstaff
>Non-optimal
A quarterstaff's average damage with duelling is 5.5 per hit, or 4.5 per hit on a bonus attack. A halberd with GWF's bonus averages 6.3 per hit, or 3 on a bonus attack.
For that little sacrifice, you can don a shield for +2 AC. You've gained 2 AC by sacrificing, what, 0.8 + 0.8 - 1.5 + (0.8)*probability of reaction attack damage?
Not to mention the paladin can potentially pick up charisma shillelagh with it and use it as a 1d8 weapon instead with charisma instead of strength.
However, that doesn't completely trump halberd. The lack of reach is kind of a pain, especially if you want to get reaction attacks - you can attack at 10ft with a halberd then retreat 5ft.

Honestly, the biggest problem is that action to change weapons. You could circumvent this by using a smiting weapon in one combat and then the quarterstaff in the next combat, but that kind depends on you knowing how long each combat will last, a smite weapon's effectiveness probably drops off after 3 rounds.
>>
File: 1487115526224.jpg (94KB, 345x396px) Image search: [Google]
1487115526224.jpg
94KB, 345x396px
I'm thinking about going for the Hexblade 1/Paladin (6/7) meme for the 20 Charisma +5 to all saving throws.

Right now the BBEG is a necromancer, so I'm conflicted on picking Oathbreaker. If I hit Paladin 7 I'd have +5 to all damage, and a really high DC to resist my Control Undead, but I'd also be buffing the FUCK out of any stray zombies.

Has anyone played an Oathbreaker in this situation? Should I pick a different Oath/stop at Paladin 6?
>>
>>51836781
Other than you aren't supposed to multiclass Unearthed Arcana no. Lots of dependency on your Dex and Charisma so you won't be able to take much.

Also it's a level 20 build and will never happen, other than that seems fine.
>>
>>51836819
Well, the duelling fighting style doesn't give a lot of damage. As per >>51836864
It.. Actually loses damage in comparison to GWF, but hardly very much. It's more of a deal of having a shield.

At which point you can go on about your paladin having heavy armour mastery + heavy armour + shield and all that.
>>
>>51835768
>Note also that 2d8 per spell level is more efficient than most single target spells
Blight is a level 4 spell. It does 8d8 damage. An evocation wizard's Magic Missile does (1d4+6)*7 when cast from a level 5 slot, which is at least 49. The very warlock's Armor of Agathys does 25 damage back when hit by a melee attack, along with giving 25 temp HP. You can have that up before combat even starts. Hellish Rebuke does 6d10, average 33, as a reaction you probably weren't using anyway. The smite damage needs to be strong enough to be worth using the slot on it. 2d8 per spell level might be too much, but it won't be useful if it goes too much lower.
>>
>>51836601
>>51836638
I'm actually playing a AT5/Wiz1. Planing to take a second wiz level for school of illusion(because fits character). Then maybe reach AT9/Wiz2. Gonna have a lot of 1st level spells, but not much more.
>>
>>51836871
Oathbreaker is overpowered unless you encounter zombies all the fucking time.

Go for it, if your DM is allowing you to do literal bullshit like
>Picking an already controversial UA choice
>Picking a controversial paladin choice
>Multiclassing with UA
If your DM allows it, they deserve every piece of shit they get from it.
>>
>>51836864
bare in mind, that rules as written, the GWM bonus also applies to EVERY damage die rolled, not just the weapon damage. Including Smite.

That's why it's optimal.

If we want to get into chance to hit and crit chances I think we can safely say that completely ignoring smite, yes the Hexlock will pull ahead.

However if we take into account you being required to spend a whole action to change weapon and bring your smites online paladin will probably still pull ahead in 80% of situations. And that paladin can smite on it's reaction attacks.

I'm having dinner now so I don't have time to run the chances of running the average damages against AC, but if you give me a reasonable AC for a level 17 character to be smacking on I might try it in the new thread when I get a chance, i've no clue how it will turn out, but i'm pretty sure it'll show that GWM is still well worth it.
>>
>>51835855
>the monster is vulnerable to onions
Isn't it always garlic and cucumbers? I distinctly remember something about cucumbers.
>>
>>51836688
D&D RTS when?
>>
ABOUT THE MONTHS AHEAD
We have a bunch of D&D content for you to playtest, discuss, and mull over. We have enough material, in fact, that we will be releasing Unearthed Arcana multiple times a month for the next few months. Look for the material on Mondays. We’ll take the things you love and refine them, and we’ll take the things you don’t like and either toss them out or rebuild them. Either way, your feedback is invaluable.

Looks like they'll still be releasing content for the classes though.
>>
>>51836964
GWF only does 10% more damage as a level 5 Paladin with PAM and Extra Attack with 20 Str on the first 2 rounds of spamming all smites. After that it does .1 more damage per round. A shield can make you 20-28.5% more difficult to hit (18 AC vs 20 AC, and depending if the creature has +9-6 to hit).
>>
File: paladincharts2.png (42KB, 776x597px) Image search: [Google]
paladincharts2.png
42KB, 776x597px
>>51836964
The GWF (Not GWM, they're awkwardly similar) bonus does not apply to smite, RAI.
RAW, it does.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

Makes it honestly quite weak. It's +0.8 damage to halberd, +0.5 damage to a 1d4 attack and +1.33 damage to greatsword, but no +0.75 to a 1d8.

Fortunately I already have the charts of a 18 strength paladin with PAM and GWM versus a PAM paladin with 20 strength with all the crit chances, bonus action chances and all that worked out. But I guess there's the question, 'what if you got to level 20 and got +2 strength so they both had 20 strength?' and the answer to that is... Please no, I'd have to get out the horrendous savage attacker tables to compare the value of an extra feat increasing the PAM paladin's damage.

Either way, as you can see here, you have to have about a ~80% chance of hitting before GWM becomes worth it. On a 17 AC creature, you'd maybe have to hope for advantage if you want to make it worth it.

I think I can settle for admitting quarterstaff+smiteweapon warlock has some action economy issues that oddly keep it from functioning, but I'd kind of like to make a table sometime for the damage a curse bringer warlock might do with GWM. Note, in this case, GWM is mostly just there for bonus action attacks, I suppose, using variant human's feat, or really low AC enemies. Then again, half-elf and ignoring GWM might be better...
>>
I'm looking to GM a game with only one person, they haven't played DnD before so i'm trying to find a nice basic adventure that I could run them through to introduce them to it. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>51836372
Change it from "Roll a 1" to "Roll under spell level". That helps a bit.
Otherwise, as others have said raise it by 1 for each time they DON'T surge, or based on missing spells or sorcery points.
>>
>>51836246
Something like a full set of plate armor barely does anything to your movement, it being encumbering is a rpg meme. That's leaving aside less overkill choices like cloth armor
>>
Group of friends playing dnd.
Roommate of my best friend is a douchebag.
A friend who we haven't seen in awhile comes back and we decide to play dnd together.

The old friend sucks at dnd. He can't RP well, he struggles to remember rules, he makes very poor decisions. But overall everyone has fun.

Other player is very... aggressive. Often mocks him for everything and jumps ahead of me to answer his questions. We've had a sit down and thins were fine for 2 sessions.

The new player becomes possessed by a banshee - acts flamboyant etc

Other party members talk about his unusual behavior- the other player just says he's a acting normal, bitchy and stupid.

New player quit mid session after he was knocked out, texted me he is done, let his character die. Later tells me why he quit, the above.

I'm a new DM, I thought I had settled it but it kind of exploded. It doesn't feel right that one player was bullied out. I'm half tempted to kick the other player out and invite him back.
>>
>>51836213
>Nonsmite round.
>No hex, due to applying curse
>4d6+32 for hexlock. 19-20 crits 48 average.
>2d10+2d8+1d4+60 20 crit 82.5
>Round 2
>6d6+32 19-20 crits 55 average for hexlock
>Paladin is still happily sitting at 82.5.
You forgot the improved divine smite damage on the oathbreaker's bonus action attack and the warlock's +3 greatsword. So it's 52/59 vs 87. I'm not sure either one should be using power attack though. . . Yeah, neither one should be using power attack at AC 19. Maybe AC 17 and lower.

Without power attack, the warlock is dealing 52/59 with +14 to hit and the paladin is dealing 57 with +11 to hit. Of course the paladin can get a magic weapon too. They don't have to use "oathbreaker's sword" in order to be allowed to smite at all. The warlock just gets his as a class feature.
>>
>>51836252
You need to hit to smite and the benefit of smite is that it lets you add extra damage to your normal attack routine. If your smite's attack routine sucks, just cast more fireballs or something.
>>
>>51836688

Awww....
>>
>>51835768
>assumptions about the setting (writing exists, writing is not recent, monsters are not recent, writing about the monsters is not based on innaccuracies and poor observations, writing is easily available to my character)

How often are these assumptions not the case in a typical game of DnD? I think inaccuracies existing is really the only thing that would typically apply. I mean,if your game has wizards and/or spell scrolls, you fucking know writing exists. Hell, a number of backgrounds mention ink, paper, and scrolls as starting equipment. Just what kind of game are you running where access to writing is even a question?
>>
How do you plan your campaigns, /5eg/?
>>
>>51837389
You use the smite after the hit, so the difference between hitting 12 times in combat and smiting as often as possible and hitting 6 times in combat and smiting as often as possible is nothing near a 2x difference in damage.

But missing does definitely result in loss of damage, yes.
>>
>>51836283
Fun fact, the extra damage from hex, after being run through your to hit chance, is barely better than burning them with that shitty burning hex invocation. Of course, you could curse them, hex, them, then start burning them after 3 rounds if you really want to.
>>
>>51836754
I know, right.
>>
>>51836688
On the plus side it looks better than the first mass combat playtest from way back when.
>>
Anyone got any oneshot plot hooks they'd like to share? I'm looking to do a small session for some friends to teach them the basics of the game and I don't want to make it a big game yet.
>>
>>51836404
They can attack you.
>>
>>51837440
Everyone has been captured and needs to escape!
>>
>>51836871
>>51836942
I'm genuinely not sure why people go googoogaga over the Oathbreaker's +Cha to damage and his two attacks a round with a drawback but not the Bladesinger's +Int to damage and his two attacks a round.

Is the reason why people furiously masturbate to Oathbreakers simply that the Bladesinger gets it later?
>>
>>51837677
>simply that the Bladesinger gets it later?
That and the fact that oathbreaker still gets improved divine smite.

So it's +1d8+cha to damage vs +int to damage.
>>
File: Paladincharts3.png (40KB, 727x597px) Image search: [Google]
Paladincharts3.png
40KB, 727x597px
>>51837677
Paladins can get at least 3 attacks per round with PAM, possibly 4 if their reaction attack triggers and they can even do things like multiclass three levels of ranger for hordebreaker for a fifth attack.

Note the oathbreaker on this chart would have 3 ASIs by level 12 and that last missing fourth ASI is only a +1 to damage (18 charisma instead of 20 charisma) which doesn't dramatically change this graph.
>>
>>51837677
Bladesinger is the Wizard archetype. Paladins can have 3 attacks per round with PAM, and still smite while Hexblade can't use a PAM viable weapon and smite. Getting something earlier is usually a really big deal, yes. Aura of Hate isn't the ~one and only~ thing, but if you're abusing Aura of Hate to the limit, then you're also getting +5 to all saving throws from Aura of Protection. And if you're abusing Aura of Protection you might as well take Oathbringer so your next level gives Aura of Hate.
>>
>>51837677
Hmm
14th level and only 2 minutes per rest from int, the worst stat vs 7th level, permanently from CHA.
>>
>>51837741
Huh, comparing this graph to >>51837111
the point where PAM and PAM+GWM paladin intersect seems dramatically different.

Maybe I fucked up or maybe one of these graphs is outdated. I should check on that.
>>
>>51837677
Bladesinger is elf only so you miss out on feats at level 1
>>
>>51837746
>the worst stat

Well, not for a wizard.
>>
>>51837846
Point still stands.
CHA is stronger than INT and oathbreaker still gets divine and improved simte.
Bladesinger is in light armor with his d6 hit die with nothing to hit and the +5 damage to his shitty longsword while Oathbreaker is running around in plate, a d10, a greatsword, improved divine smite and now with even more damage to those smites because +5 to damage rolls.
>>
>>51837677
Also don't forget every attack is a chance to crit for paladin which means the paladin can then use a divine smite on a crit, dealing double the usual smite amage.

The paladin is 'probably' a bit tankier, but to be honest I kinda despise bladesinger's bullshit AC stacking. Most of what bladesinger does is forego fun level 2 wizard utilities for a stupid 'You get a whole fucking ton of AC!'

>>51837746
Twice for a minute every short rest is pretty much every single encounter ever.
>>
Guys, I just had a thought.

The new Warlock Pact weapons, namely the longbow and the greatsword.

Did small races get absolutely fucking cucked?
>>
>>51838228
Wll friend. Did you ever hear about the short longbow or the wholeling?
>>
File: 1430680565962.jpg (374KB, 1280x900px) Image search: [Google]
1430680565962.jpg
374KB, 1280x900px
>>51838228
You have to be this tall to ride Blackrazor, kiddo.
>>
>>51838228
Oh god that's true. Fucking hell they got fucked over, once again.
>>
>>51832587
Is taking a few levels in Champion Fighter worth it for a character that will be mostly Berzerker Barbarian?

So far I'm thinking I'd drop 6 into Barb, then 3 into Fighter before finishing all remaining levels as Barb. Not sure if the fighting style, more crits and second wind are worth missing a feat, slowing barb progression etc.
>>
>>51838417
If you have a Half-Orc champion/barbarian with great weapon fighting you will not be a very interesting character mechanically but 10% of the times you attack you will be doing 4d12(rerolling 1 and 2)+10+STRmod damage if I recall correctly

And that should be pretty fun
>>
>>51838417
I'd say it's worth it. You get a fighting style, action surge and the crits are nice.

The barbarian doesn't really get a lot of great stuff after level 5 until the later levels (especially level 20), so it's often worth multiclassing a bit if you feel like it.

You essentially have quadruple crit chance (Almost) if you use advantage with 19-20 crits.

Obviously, go half-orc and get GWM- No, wait, get GWM and stop being a fucking berzerker.

Berzerker is bad, not to mention you could get bonus attacks through PAM and GWM anyway. It's not really worth going strength if you don't use feats.
>>
>>51838417
Crits = Good because Rage Advantage / Reckless Attack gives you a lot of high rolls
Action Surge = Absolutely yes
Second Wind = 3-13 HP, passable as an action, passable because you can still attack with the bonus action with Frenzy
Fighting Style: Either +1 AC or GWF, pretty good.

All in all, if you want to smash, go ahead with this. I'd say either stay with 17-3 if you want the brutal crit 3, and 16-4 if you want 5 ASI:s / feats.
>>
>>51838022
What is BS about the bladesinger's AC, unless the DM goes full potato and allows dip fuckery?
>>
>>51838560
>>51838559
I'm playing a full Orc using the stats from Volo's for fluff reasons, and because of that I think Berzerker fits better, also for IC reasons. Berzerker and Orc are objectively just less good than Totem and Half-Orc, but I'm just trying to make the best out of a character that I know isn't going to be mechanically amazing.

Also doing lots of damage while RPing a frenzied Orc should be good times.

>>51838607
I think the only feat I'll pick up is GWM, so I'll probably stick with 17:3 unless I can think of another really good feat to pick up.
>>
>>51836195
A tavern brawler fighter can wear heavy armor easily
>>
>>51838710
>Berzerker and Orc are objectively just less good than Totem and Half-Orc

Berserker is... okay.

MONSTER uses WIS SAVE VS CHARM on meathead!
its super effective!

Orcs likewise have that free movement.
>>
>>51838662
You've taken a class with great out of combat utility, great combat utility and generally brilliant, except somewhat squishy save for when they use spells to dampen their squishiness.

And then you've got a class archetype that might as well say,
'You get +4/5/6/7 AC.'
And extra speed, and extra concentration, and all that.

Fuck that, it's boring. You could create items at will in your hand, you could support the team with gauranteed rolls on certain things, you could have better illusions or be able to stun people with hypnotism.
But no, you picked a class option that basically says 'once per pretty much any time you need it, you get a butt load of AC.'

It's boring, it lessens wizard's weaknesses and it really doesn't feel much like a proper gish. You definitely don't do more damage than spellcasting or casting a concentration spell that uses your action to attack, though you do get something that's better than a standard cantrip. But not exactly much better than just using booming blade or green flame blade until level 14, by which point you've a load of spell slots anyway.

>>51838710
Orcs require a bonus action to move, don't they? There's a lot of clash there. Do orcs even get the extra crit die? As long as they get the crit die, it's probably alright for the gimmick. Berzerker is just.. The level 6 ability is good, the level 3 ability is really kinda disappointing, beating yourself up for something GWM would give you sometimes anyway.
>>
>>51838710
In that case, yeah, getting Brutal Crit 3 is pretty good.

The only thing you're really missing in that case are indomitable might and Primal champion... If you ever get to that level anyway. And while it's a loss, all in all, it doesn't make your crits less viable, especially with brutal critical.

>>51838662
Mage Armor (13) + Dex (+5) + Bladesong (+5) + Haste (+2) + Shield (+5) = 30 AC for three relatively low level spell slots.
>>
>>51838793
There will definitely be a lot of things vying for my bonus action, but with exhaustion being the way it is I'll probably only be frenzying during what I expect to be the last big fight of the day, where I can just keep going nuts on a big meaty target that isn't likely to make me chase him down.

>>51838763
Yeah being able to ANGRY my way out of charm/frightened is pretty neat.

>>51838797
Tbh not a single game I've played has gotten past level 10 yet but I have high hopes for this one.
>>
>>51836425
Not if the DM declines to make you roll. Wild sorcery blows when you get that DM who doesn't like random happenings. I had a DM at an AL event tell me that he wouldn't ever make me roll after tides of chaos because if my character died he wanted to be the one killing it, not some table roll.
>>
File: intimateknowledge.jpg (15KB, 478x322px) Image search: [Google]
intimateknowledge.jpg
15KB, 478x322px
>>51838886
>Wild sorcery blows when you get that DM who doesn't like random happenings.

and only then, right?
>>
>>51838793

I dunno, I love warrior mages, like the flavor of bladesingers and find the idea of a wizard who can't physically defend himself to be atrociously boring, especially because its a "weakness" that is made irrelevant by his spells.

Comparing melee attacks to concentration spells that require your action to attack strikes me as pretty pointless, as the main point strikes me as to give you something to do other than burn up spell slots while maintaining a different kind of concentration effect.

As far as a "proper gish" I hear a lot of people complain about what are not proper gishes, but not much about what constitutes one.
>>
>>51838797
>Mage Armor (13) + Dex (+5) + Bladesong (+5) + Haste (+2) + Shield (+5) = 30 AC for three relatively low level spell slots.

Not a problem, that's just a dick waving thing rather than a serious strategy in most cases.
>>
>>51839017
True, but the usual suspect of the spells that they won't cast is actually just Haste... Meaning their AC is 28 most of the time. Still pretty annoying to hit.
>>
Is medium armor master a worthwhile feat if you're a hexblade in half-plate? My dex is currently a 14 but it might be nice to get my AC up just a bit higher, but I'm not sure +1 AC is worth a feat and an ability score increase
>>
>>51839162
It really isn't. Heavy armor mastery is only what I would consider worthwhile, and even then if you're 100% sure crowds of flunkies, skellingtons, etc. will be out to get you.
>>
>>51839142
That's true, but that's more a case of the system working in a desirable fashion than anything that could be viewed as broken.

I also noticed the assumption of dex 20 as another thing that puts it into "silly goose" territory.
>>
>>51839206
Well true, but DexSinger lets you to avoid a lot of hits, taking into account the magnificent Hit Die and armor proficiencies of wizards, it suddenly doesn't seem too far fetched that they would want a high Dex, prioritizing it over Str or Con.

And it's the bullshit build, of course it has to have Dex 20.
>>
>>51839206
At the 20th level (haha) that those calculations assumed, you can easily have two twenties.
>>
>>51839268
If we're talking about that level, its not clear that your arcane tradition being focused on physical defense is overpowered in any way. It may very well be better to simply prohibit anyone from entering melee with you (virtually any long term minion suffices) and be an abjurer if you really like defense.
>>
>>51839268
But even before that, having +2 or +3 is not unreasonable dex for a minmaxed Bladesinger, especially because >elf.

Let's assume 4th level, standard array.

High Elf
Int 15 + 1 (HE)
Dex 14 + 2 (E)

First ASI --> Int 18

So AC is Mage Armor (13) + Dex (+3) + Bladesong (+4) + Shield (+5) = 25.

Not bad for 4th level. Hell, it's 20 without Shield, so you don't even need to use it that often. Also, no Concentration.
>>
>>51839406
Seems like a pretty decent plan.
>>
>>51838987
I think it's good everything has an area it's weak in that isn't just 'if all the enemies have counterspell, you're screwed'.
Then, the tougher martials of the party can work together with you to protect you, while you support them with abilities such as divination, or use conjuration to help solve puzzles.

Once you lessen those weaknesses and round out a character, it only makes them more self-sufficient, and that's a bit of a pain.
Wizards already have some of the greatest versatility in the game just short of a bard, with perhaps druid being better for combat versatility. So it feels that should be where they excel, not somewhere else.

And, I mean, it's not like I'd be against a warrior mage sort. If you want to be a dwarf and have armour, that's fine. It's just as interesting if not more interesting than other racial choices. But bladesinger is, to me, just a dropdown bunch of flat mechanical boosts. Even evocation is more interesting, and that's practically designed to be uninteresting.

Bladesinger could pretty much be summarized as 'You have more AC, you can hit stuff in melee and you're a bit faster! Go you!'

The problem I see with a lot of gish options inside classes is they only serve to give mechanical boosts that make close combat viable.

My ideal gish sort of load-out? Well, I think paladin-sorcerer is great as a gish in comparison. You've got resources to melee more, sacrificing spell slot utility for more burst, that sorta thing. I guess.
>>
>>51839500
There are exactly two enemies in the MM with Counterspell, the mage and the lich. If you are faced by nothing but mages and a lich or whatever, you have bigger problems.

>Well, I think paladin-sorcerer is great as a gish in comparison.

And you'll understand if I cannot take anyone seriously if they think the bladesinger is OP, but are okay with multiclassing into a heavy armor class. The point of bladesingers, valor bards, etc. falls off into oblivion if that sort of shit is allowed.
Thread posts: 442
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.