[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 52

File: 1469909074962.jpg (138KB, 900x635px) Image search: [Google]
1469909074962.jpg
138KB, 900x635px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to EduNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>51790500
>Cerebellum_and_Cerebrum_Boosters:_Cheating_2.0?.trid
>ARES_Ork_Program_Introduction.sim
>Anmeldungsbogen_Eberhard_Karls_Universität_Tübingen.zdf
>Street_Knowledge_BASICS.knwsft

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 7289 (29% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Yo chummer, could you help me with my thesis? I need some specific materials for it'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Hot_Teacher_Private_Study_Session.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Education Edition.
What education does your runner have? Did he go to university? Did he do an apprenticeship or joined the military? Did he even go through elementary school? Or is all his knowledge self taught from the School of hard knocks?
>>
Repeat of question from end of last thread:

What kind of contacts should a decker have? What would let him buy cyberdecks, commlinks, and electronic accessories without an availability test?
>>
File: 1485320883046.gif (211KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485320883046.gif
211KB, 500x500px
>>51802412

Asked this in the last thread.
So after playing the new resident evil, I really want to do a run where the PCs are in a MASSIVE sprawling mansion with completely weird shit in it and getting more and more surreal the deeper they get into it.

So the setup I have is that a powerful spirit made a deal with some guy to give him 30 years of riches, power and fortune in exchange for his soul. But now the time is over and the guy used his power to create powerful wards around his mansion that prevent the spirit from collecting it's prize and the guy hasnt left it for decades.
The Runners are payed through a surrogate to get the guy out of his mansion.

I just need some help coming up with a bunch of NPCs and insane shit to put into that mansion
I imagine that whoever wanders into this hell house isn't allowed to leave anymore, because the owner is a crazy and paranoid wizard, but he doesn't outright kill anyone either, because he enjoys the companionship and needs servants.
The mansion itself is dangerous as fuck, in the spirit of RE, but most of the NPCs that made it till now have learned to navigate it.

Do you guys have any great ideas for random NPCs and rooms the runners could encounter?

So far I have:
-A corp agent who was sent in here a few years ago to find out WTF is going on here. He has survived through sheer badassery and actively tries to kill the wizard at this point, but at this point has run out of his original gear and has to rely on MacGyvering shit. Might be friendly or hostile to the runners depending on how they act toward him
-A very mercantile boy scout who REALLY wanted to sell the rich man some cookies, or handkerchiefs, or whatever and stumbled into the hell mansion. He's very cowardly, but kept his streak for business and actively trades with the other people and spirits in the mansion. Acts as a resupply possibility if the PCs bring him the right stuff
>>
Reposting since I wrote this when the last thread was dying:

So I finally got my core rulebook and as the internet warned me the gluing on it appears to be very weak. From your experience, do they hold the pages despite it or should I save myself the nerves and ask a bookbinder to take it apart and have it sewn ? Could they put it back to the original hard cover after it from your experience ?
>>
File: average streetsam.jpg (89KB, 1000x489px) Image search: [Google]
average streetsam.jpg
89KB, 1000x489px
Last night's conversation got me thinking: what negative traits can represent cyberpsychosis, other than Cyberpsychosis itself? I've been running a 0.02 Essence streetsam who's a veteran of the Az-Am war, and my GM and I have agreed that his Flashbacks quality sees him going on killing sprees instead of becoming briefly useless like the quality implies. While discussing cyberpsychosis last night, it finally clicked in my head: like any mental illness cyberpsychosis will take a variety of forms, so any mental illness a low Essence character has that makes them explode into violence is most likely one form or another of cyberpsychosis, including my Flashbacks.

>>51802412
>Education Edition.
>What education does your runner have? Did he go to university? Did he do an apprenticeship or joined the military? Did he even go through elementary school? Or is all his knowledge self taught from the School of hard knocks?
State-sponsored Aztlan education, though only the kind they give to poor farmers, then rushed through boot camp when I ran off to join the army. Had to learn a lot of shit the hard way.
>>
>>51802491
And again: Why did you buy a book from CGL, Catalyst "Our CEO embezzeled about a million dollar, and we're terribly sorry. What do you say? Pay the freelancers? Nah" Game Labs
We have all the books as PDFs in the OP pastebin, why don't you use that?
>>
>>51802568
Most likely he needs a meatspace copy for convenience at the table.
>>
Are aspected magicians supposed to be an NPC exclusive thing?
>>
>>51802603
Well, Rules-Wise, no. PC can also take aspected magician.
Play-Wise, yeah. Outside of very specific builds they are too shit
>>
>>51802612
figured out as much, i'll just tell my players to ignore it then
>>
>>51802457
>A street-samurai and remainder of a previous runner team sent in. All of his augmentations, once specially tailored betaware, is now barely functional after years of wear and jury-rigged repairs. Mentally unstable from the deplorable circumstances and his failing cyberware gnawing away at what precious little essence he has left, he alternates between a stoic melancholy and homicidal paranoia, attacking perceived 'traitors' with what remains of his once fearsome array of cyberweapons
>A psychotic but unaugmented Elf who broke into the mansion to lay low after committing a horrific crime, the sort that makes front-page news. Affable to the player-party, but positively itching for an opportunity to put some suffering down on another lifeform for his own amusement and to spite the mansion's owner for keeping him locked up
>A group of substance-addicted vagrants who mistook the mansion as being abandoned and made the mistake of trying to squat inside. After a long, long time of isolation the vagrants have became convinced that the mansion owner is a deity of some kind and feverishly worship him, following his indirect orders and viciously setting upon anybody who disrespects 'the voice from above and below'
>A few small rats running alongside the skirtingboards at the far end of a corridor. Before the runners can react, a Devilrat the size of a motorcycle lumbers into view, following the tiny rats and seemingly oblivious to the presence of the runners, who suddenly feel a lot smaller than before
>A makeshift laboratory filled with several dozen jars, each one containing a metahuman organ or bodypart and linked together via long reinforced tubing, with what appears to be clumps of wires, nerves and sinew flowing along those pipes. The eye in one of the jars appears to react and contract when one of your runners shines a light against it...
>Jack Black makes a cameo, eating store-brand nachos on an old sofa
>>
>>51802643
>Jack Black makes a cameo, eating store-brand nachos on an old sofa
5spoopy9me
>>
>>51802568
Because I wanted it.
>>51802585
Yup.
>>
>>51802663
Nobody knows how he's still alive, let-alone how he broke in. He shares his nachos with the party and makes a few jokes, mentioning an upcoming album, but when you turn your back he's already gone and the party never sees him again.
>>
>>51802568
>We have all the books as PDFs in the OP pastebin, why don't you use that?

Some people have inferior caveman eyes that get irritated when reading PDFs.
>>
I'm GMing shadowrun (5e) for the first time, and I'm noticing too many things that are overcomplicated for no damn reason like limits

What are some things that I 100% absolutely must houserule?
>>
>>51802696
>What are some things that I 100% absolutely must houserule?
Leave the decking to NPC contacts. Also, there's nothing wrong with limits.
>>
Newbie question: how does military cyberware compare to what's compared on civilian market ?

I want to build a character that's an old solider with old military ware on him (all identification shaved off for later reveal) and would just use the cheaper cyberware to represent that while it's outdated it still can keep up with what's common on the market.
>>
>>51802787
>Newbie question: how does military cyberware compare to what's compared on civilian market ?
Depends which items you're talking about and how elite the soldier is. The average soldier isn't going to get anything better than what the average civilian can, with the exception of some select forbidden ware like cyberarm gyromounts.
>>
>>51802787
Your rank-and-file grunt will likely have civilian-grade prosthetics, enough to maintain performance but not enough for their employers to worry too much about insurance expenses. Being of a higher rank and thus a less replaceable asset would mean having choicer picks of cyberware, along with superior access to combat cyberware-accessories like built-in weaponry and gyromounts and the such. More prestigeous forces for a larger corp would have cyberware that would be considered beta-grade by the standards of its time (woefully outdated by now though, mind you) with things like strength agility and armor enhancements as standard.
>>
Hey Yekka, when I try to add the dracoform quality in Chummer, it just closes the quality window. Any ideas?
>>
>>51803475
Suicide?
>>
>>51803475
Used Wired Reflexes 3?
>>
>>51802787
>military vs. civilian cyberware
I don't think there is a difference. An elite soldier would have higher rating stuff than the average gun-nut, obviously they'd be allowed to have F-rated gear, and availability tests aren't an issue for a real fighting force, but I think that's just about it.

I'd think that smartlinks would be reasonable for all soldiers to have, just for the +2 to hit. DARPA would be tripping over themselves to get that kind of improvement for $4,000 per soldier.

Dermal armor should also fall into that category. I'm sure that armies would happily tank half of a grunt's essence to give him +6 armor for $18,000. You combine that with a full body armor set (18) and the dude's running around with 24 armor. That's even before considering things like a shield, milspec, or being an ork.

Cybereyes seem a bit much. Almost all of those enhancements could just be stuck into a helmet's goggles.

I could see a military being willing to put 100k or more into an elite soldier to get him a pair of cyberarms that both have AGI 9, armor 3, and a smuggling compartment . Then once the guy is done being in the military, they might give the arms to a new guy and give the old guy his normal meat-arms back. If they're nice, they might let him hold onto them with the understanding that he could be called back into service in an emergency.

Move-by-wire sounds like something that a military would do to someone as an experiment.

I don't think that hidden cyber-weapons would be reasonable unless the guy was some kind of assassin. It's generally not a problem for soldiers to appear to be armed.

Spies would be equipped with a tooth compartment full of poison and/or a cranial bomb, just so that they can't be captured. That's especially crucial since every spy agency in the world would try to get their mages trained in mind probing.
>>
>tfw I'm doing chargen in person with my peeps so I can explain everything to them and even I am not sure of everything that must be done in chargen
>>
>>51803718
Bring a laptop with Chummer on it.
>>
>>51803729
Bring a flash drive containing the most recent version of chummer on it, tell people to bring their computers.
>>
What are some problems with playing a Pixie in Shadowrun? I'm hoping to play a Shaman/Face for an upcoming game, and Pixie's look great for that. However, would being an unusual race like a Pixie be to much of a hinderance in social interactions?
>>
>>51804054
Pixies are somewhat disliked due to a) being really overpowered and b) being usually used by Min-Maxers
>>
>>51804086
I'm not talking about player attitudes, but NPC attitudes. Is talking with Mr. Johnson gonna be negatively impacted by being a Pixie? What about going to the clandestine nightclub that Mr. Johnson asked us to meet him at?
>>
>>51804113
Protip: if Mr.Johnson can look at you and immediately identify you as something that can be captured for a bounty (moreso than just by being a shadowrunner, anyways), there might be a problem.
>>
>>51803556
>>51802855
>>51802908

Thanks for the (you)s. To clarify I'm not planning something advanced, just normal stuff that will be fluffed as something like "looking at his arms you see some high grade but old cyberware; at a second glance it becomes clear that this stuff is military, top of the line a few years ago. the markings were scratched off purposely but rest carries signs of both wear and loving maintenance".

Basically top of the line 10-20 years ago, using stats for normal modern stuff as the technology available got better and better. Perhaps one or two expensive "spec ops" thing but that's it. A grunt in some European country civil war where the rebels stole stuff from the government and put it on their own.
>>
>>51804054
I mean, there's also no fluff reason whatsoever for a pixie to be anywhere besides this one forest in France. If that counts as a hindrance in social interactions...
>>
>>51804430
>Brocéliande

There be Irish pixies, me leprechaun!
>>
>>51804149
>Perhaps one or two expensive "spec ops" thing but that's it.
Cyberarm gyromount is a must. There's enough recoil compensation technology in Shadowrun to make firing on full-auto all the time a wise strategy, and you can bet your ass the military is going to put that technology into the hands of soldiers.
>>
>when your players all like different forms of the world and you can't decide if you want to appeal to the pink mohawk christfag hooder, the trenchcoat fedora, the one that is there to just rip and tear through places in a novacoke filled rage, hotline Miami style, or to the guy that's on the job because he's looking for his brother.

Whoever wins this week, everyone else loses.
>>
>>51804711
I want to be in your game, anon.
>>
>>51804756
I want you to be in his game, anon.
>>
>>51804529
>and you can bet your ass the military is going to put that technology into the hands of soldiers.
Literally, even.
>>
File: no dignity.jpg (31KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
no dignity.jpg
31KB, 198x198px
>>51804711
>the pink mohawk christfag hooder, the trenchcoat fedora, the one that is there to just rip and tear through places in a novacoke filled rage, hotline Miami style, or to the guy that's on the job because he's looking for his brother.
It's funnier if you interpret that as a description of the players and not of the player characters.
>>
File: 16_01c.jpg (39KB, 580x364px) Image search: [Google]
16_01c.jpg
39KB, 580x364px
>>51804529
>Cyberarm gyromount is a must. There's enough recoil compensation technology in Shadowrun to make firing on full-auto all the time a wise strategy, and you can bet your ass the military is going to put that technology into the hands of soldiers.

Why wouldn't they just give him a normal non-cyberware gyromount? It's twice as effective, a quarter the cost, and isn't locked into the soldier. The only downside is that it takes up the underbarrel slot.

The cyberarm mount also eats 8 capacity that could have been spent on stuff like armor, agility upgrades, or a sensor array.
>>
>>51804829
>Why wouldn't they just give him a normal non-cyberware gyromount? It's twice as effective, a quarter the cost, and isn't locked into the soldier.
Versatility. You can only use it on assault rifles and heavy weapons, it takes 5 complex actions (which is going to be anywhere between 3 and 15 seconds) to put it on and a simple action to switch which gun it's attached to. The cyberware version works with anything you pick up and activates in no time at all if you've got your wireless enabled.
>The only downside is that it takes up the underbarrel slot.
Which means you can't use it with America's favorite assault rifle, the Ares Alpha.
>>
>>51802412
>What education does your runner have?
>Did he go to university?
He attended secondary school at Celisté ("Bringer of Light") at Serantaneyo (commonly known as Eugene), in Tir Tairngire. Before immigrating to Tir Tairngire his parents were fairly poor, being early-wave elves, so insisted he get a good education. He specialized in computer sciences and first developed his Adept abilities in the athletics program, but also was inclined towards social sciences which led to his later political views.
>Did he do an apprenticeship or joined the military?
As any adult in Tir he spent two years in the Tir Peace Force, but ended up liking the work so much that he stuck around. In addition it gave him access to training and contacts he realized he could use in his efforts to remove the Prince's from power.
>Did he even go through elementary school?
Yes, and high school, but his education before he attended college was not very good due to the low economic status of his parents.
>Or is all his knowledge self taught from the School of hard knocks?
Though he already knew how to shoot and fight and hack, a lot of his street knowledge came from operating covertly as a runner during his Peace Force reservist days and later after he went AWOL and started running full-time.
>>
>>51802450
Any kind of contacts, really. Deckers are good at cultivating diverse contacts because they understand the value of information.
But an electronics store salesmen or computer expert who specializes in black market computer hardware would definitely be a useful one for a decker.
However, an availablity test would still be required from him, there's no real way around it.
>>
>>51802682
Make Jack Black an ork.
It's fitting somehow.
>>
>>51802696
Limits are really easy though, and unless you are rolling ridiculous levels of dice (20+) for something if a Limit is as high as 7 then you usually won't be hitting it without spending Edge.

Not that there aren't over complicated rules, just that Limits aren't one of them.
>>
Other than a cyberdeck, which will vary because you take a -2 to matrix actions, is there a reason to not run everything you have on silent?
Also, if an item has wireless turned off, does that basically mean its losing some power to become unhackable outside of plugging into it directly?
>>
So... I'm looking to get into Shadowrun proper. But I'm new to the game, and frankly, my tabletop experience is only a few years. Any tips, suggestions?
>>
>>51805493
Read the books
Watch these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcyTMJ0hPY&t=20s
Ask questions in here
GET CHUMMER
ALL BOOKS ARE IN THE OP
>>
>>51805543
Thanks for the advice. Getting into new systems when no one I know plays them is weird. Everyone else in my group just does D&D.
>>
>>51805572
Yeah, no worries man.
Check Roll20, LFG, this thread, and the Gamefinder thread for games. The official forum can have games, but is mostly dead.
>>
>>51805316
Making all your devices run silent is a good idea, but it's not something you're actually gonna be doing most of time. If your devices are not in wireless mode, chances are they're part of a PAN, and you can't make only part of a PAN silent while the rest is loud (IIRC).
If you wanna do something really cheeky, though, you should buy 100 really cheap credsticks, have them all run silent, and keep them all over your person. When trying to find nearby devices that are running silent, you have to choose one of the devices randomly, so anyone trying to find your silent-running handgun or cyberdeck is more likely than not gonna find one of your silent running credsticks instead.

When something has its wireless turned off, it is unhackable (barring a direct connection). This means you lose all the benefits listed under the item's Wireless Bonus.
>>
File: Riverdale-Miss-Grundy-1.jpg (69KB, 1400x777px) Image search: [Google]
Riverdale-Miss-Grundy-1.jpg
69KB, 1400x777px
>>51802412
>Hot_Teacher_Private_Study_Session.BTL...

Ms. Grundy, you dirty girl. Teach me how to finger those strings.
>>
File: Cyberzombie Chrome Flesh.jpg (97KB, 425x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberzombie Chrome Flesh.jpg
97KB, 425x1100px
>>51802562
Driven, Poor Self Control, Paranoia, Phobia... anything that mentally unbalances due to outside stimuli you could be a manifestation of cyberpsychosis, if you're going to do the same thing as you did with Flashbacks and rewrite the consequences to be "goes cyberpsycho".
>>
>>51805658
I can show you how to finger A Minor
>>
Asked this last thread but didn't get an answer.

I'm watching Corporate SINs on youtube, and the GM there has a set of d6s where only the 5 and 6 are pipped in with white, and the 1 is pipped in with red. None of the other faces are pipped in/visible at all.

Is there a place that sells this type of d6 in bulk for cheap? Or is this a potential home project down the line?
>>
Yekka, adding rituals to your spell list crashes Chummer
>>
File: Dice Ritual.jpg (26KB, 505x256px) Image search: [Google]
Dice Ritual.jpg
26KB, 505x256px
>>51806097
I don't know of any place that sells those, and afaik it's not an official product (the CGL SR dice are ugly as fuck).
>>
>>51805316
>protecting wireless stuff without a decker
1. Get an evotech himitsu commlink (from Data Trails)
2. Get a program carrier running Virtual Machine(Signal Scrub, Smoke & Mirrors) and two packs of electronic parts
3. Get a receiver commlink dongle
4. Get a computer nerd to hardwire the program carrier into the commlink
5. Plug your receiver into the commlink dongle. Now you have 4 noise reduction
6. Crank up smoke & mirrors to the max (5 noise, +5 sleaze). You'll take a -1 from noise, but you don't care about that because you're not a decker.
7. Slave your important stuff to it. You can have up to six devices slaved to one commlink.
8. Run everything silent, including the commlink
9. (optional) hand the commlink to the runner with the highest logic stat
10. If you run into noise, turn down smoke & mirrors until the commlink functions again

Your important stuff now defends against matrix perception with 10+LOG, which is a lot considering you're not a decker. You probably spent ¥13,130 plus whatever it took to make the nerd work for you, and now you can run your smartgun or whatever with a reasonable degree of confidence that it won't immediately get fucked by an enemy decker.
>>
>>51805723
how exactly is a cyber zombie maintained? I had to check it on the wiki and it just says "multi millions of nuyen".

what's really the purpose of maintaining a combat operative of that level of resources? especially when a magically gifted fucker can be pulled out of a military after a 10 year stint?
>>
What happens to your real SIN when you die, or at least when people think you're dead? Is it possible to use your real SIN after thoroughly faking one's death?
>>
>>51806668
probably gets deactivated after the proper forms are filed.

hell, IRL the IRS declares people legally dead all the time accidentally and that royally fucks up people as it's a motherfucker to get that fixed.
>>
>>51806648
because IIRC they create a background level of their negative essence, that builds over time
plus you can cram a FUCKLOAD of ware into them
>>
>>51806713
don't know why, but i'm reminded of the movie Universal Soldier by Van Damme...

Seems like nosferatu would be more effective for the purpose of maintenance. Just juice a bunch of employees you don't like, then send it out in the field.
>>
>>51806804
>using HMHVV afflicted as soldiers
>especially one that will most likely want to flee or disregard you
>feeding your employees to it

chummer, get that LOG 1 fixed
>>
>>51806668
The SIN needs to be deactivated, but the SIN registry is so incredibly huge that this takes a lot of time and it's easy for a connected person to sell the dead individual's SIN to someone else illegally.
>>
>>51806668
>What happens to your real SIN when you die, or at least when people think you're dead?
The declaration of your death (plus all available details) gets added to your SIN and it stops working. They'd either keep it in the database or move all the data to an archive where it can be used purely for historical and analytic purposes.

>Is it possible to use your real SIN after thoroughly faking one's death?
It should be treated like a burned fake SIN. That is to say, it's useless unless you can convince the SIN database that you're still alive.

Though I agree with this >>51806866, that a dead person's SIN would still work until the databases get updated to reflect the death. During that window, I'd treat it like a fake SIN if it's used by a different person.
>>
>>51806859
Literally nothing he said indicates that he has autism, though.
>>
>>51806859
>chummer, get that LOG 1 fixed

No way, he's showing some real supervillain potential. All he needs now is a research facility, hundreds of armed goons, and billions in funding.
>>
So a Yakuza Johnson of mine has a little problem. An attempt on his life is heard of through a mole but he wants to move up the succession ranks without drawing suspicion. Is there a way to pull a 18 Count Saejima scenario where the assassins would get non lethals without knowing they are non lethals in a world where every runners knows what guns are?
>>
>>51806866
>>51806921
Hm. So, whose palms would I have to grease to postpone my SIN's update indefinitely?
>>
>>51806493
And what if you do have a decker? Just slave all the important stuff to the deck?
>>
File: 1420365121402.jpg (456KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
1420365121402.jpg
456KB, 620x877px
>>51806648
Multi-million nuyen isn't for a single Cyberzombie.

The difficulty with them is that you need the proper magically-trained staff to perform cybermancy, which is a ritual only four Megacorp possess. Plus you need to be able to have the cybertech doctors capable of making Delta-level augmentations to cram literally every inch of them full of ware. The facilities and retention fees for those employees are probably the highest costs.

A cyberzombie might be around 1-2mil but they're essentially made to kill everything, negative background count that taints the area, so much ware you could suplex a tank and tough enough to whistand stuff nobody can fathom of.

They're essentially something you send into a facility or after someone you really want dead/destroyed.
>>
>>51802412
Our techno went to trade school
Shaman is a high school drop out
Black mage never went to school
face was home schooled
The street sam has a degree in kinesiology and wrote a paper on the merits of awakened intergrating cyber/bioware into their bodies
>>
>>51805723
I've been throwing around ideas for a crazy cybered up face sort of thing. Burned Out quality, running on p-fixes and knowsofts to be anyone within the same metatype. Probably comes with its own level fucked up cyberpsychosis.
>>
>>51807119
You could go with Incomplete Deprogramming or Blank Slate to show the Dissociative Identity Disorder that comes with masquerading as several people a day.
>>
>>51807016
Ordo Maximus also has the ritual, and some elven group.
>>
>>51807007
>whose palms would I have to grease to postpone my SIN's update indefinitely?
They call them "ID manufacturers". They're the people who you can go to to make fake SINs and licenses by exploiting the databases' weaknesses. Personally I'm on the fence as to whether to treat the resulting SIN as rating 6 fake or a real one, as there's an argument to be made for either interpretation.

>>51807015
>what if you do have a decker?
Hand your cheesed-out commlink to the decker and let him add his impressive logic stat to the defense roll. Slaving your stuff to his deck directly is a much cheaper and less exploitative option, though it leaves you vulnerable to the inevitable crossfire when he gets into a pissing contest with IC or another decker. If you want to not be a complete munchkin, then slaving your stuff to the decker's deck a fantastic idea.
>>
>>51806921
>Though I agree with this >>51806866 (You) #, that a dead person's SIN would still work until the databases get updated to reflect the death. During that window, I'd treat it like a fake SIN if it's used by a different person.

Apparently you can get the dead person's SIN indefinitely though.
That's why cheap Fake SIN's don't match up with your ethnicity or even metatype if they're cheap enough yet still check out as valid SIN's to casual checks rather then proper scans; because they ARE valid SIN's, just belonging to someone who's not the user. The SIN registry is mostly just a database, so it just notices there's a slight gap in that person's usage of money, then suddenly the SIN starts spending cash again. The database doesn't know WHY this happens (it's just a computer) and as long as nobody investigates it all it looks like is that the person with the SIN kinda stopped spending cash or stayed off the grid for awhile.

That's actually pretty basic identity theft tactics in real life, and as long as you're careful (as in don't try literally passing yourself off as the person you're pretending to be) you can keep it going indefinitely because all the thing keeping track of that series of numbers that is supposedly "you" knows is that that series of numbers is still active, which not in way suspicious.
>>
>>51807016
>only four Megacorp possess
Right, "only". You could throw a dart at a board of megacorps blindfolded and stand a reasonable chance of hitting a correct choice.
>>
>>51807007
You need an ID Salesman contact, a person who specializes in Fake SIN's.
Alternatively, just ask your Fixer for s new one and he'll contact his own guy for it and charge you a bit extra.
>>
>>51807225
It's still a pretty exclusive club.
Requires a solid knowledge both of advanced medicine, top-grade cybernetics surgery, and access to very specific magical rituals that you can't just do on the fly that have been stated to basically require blood magic to even remotely work.
>>
>>51807016
IIRC there are about 10 or 12 black clinics
>>
File: 0f4ba50947e7276dbb1f580c32b78363.jpg (785KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0f4ba50947e7276dbb1f580c32b78363.jpg
785KB, 1920x1080px
>>51803475
It's probably failing to add a bonus, so it fails out silently. Assuming killing yourself isn't an option, which quality are you trying to pick?
>>51806196
In the latest nightly? I thought I fixed that in an earlier build.
>>
File: Laughter Falling.gif (3MB, 480x369px) Image search: [Google]
Laughter Falling.gif
3MB, 480x369px
>>51806946
>>
File: Natalie Dormer.jpg (551KB, 1300x1950px) Image search: [Google]
Natalie Dormer.jpg
551KB, 1300x1950px
>>51807119
>cyber-Dormer

I want
>>
>>51807168
>DID
>Real
Anon...
>>
>>51807168
>Blank Slate
That's the one. Always get them mixed up.
>>
File: Logos.png (4MB, 4584x4104px) Image search: [Google]
Logos.png
4MB, 4584x4104px
>>51807225
>You could throw a dart at a board of megacorps blindfolded and stand a reasonable chance of hitting a correct choice.

Anon, there are hundreds of megas. If you cut it down to only the AAAs, then yes you're right, but there's more business outside those corps than within them. They're the elephants in the room, but there's a whole fucking mansion built on the back of the world.
>>
>>51807391
Whether or not it's real in real life, it can certainly be real in a world with personafixes.
>>
>>51807409
>Anon, there are hundreds of megas
I don't know which definition of megacorp you're using, but it's wrong.

>It’s hard to decide just what the ideal number of AAA rated corps is. One is clearly too few—if there was one megacorp, it would run rampant over the world, exploiting people and resources and funneling any wealth it could scrape off the earth into the hands of a precious few.

AAA = Mega.

AA, A, Unrated = Corp.
>>
>>51807377
Our group's elf face is pretty blatantly based off Natalie Dormer, complete with using that very picture as her profile.
>>
>>51807581
No, AA's definitely count as Megacorps as they have multiple subsidiaries and all have extra-territoriality and thus their own private armed security force and everything that makes up a classic megacorporation.
>>
>>51807647
Nope.
>>
>>51807647
>Double-A corps may be as big as, or even bigger than, AAAs, but if they don’t get a seat on the court, they’re not as powerful. And that ticks them off.
No seat, no mega.
>>
>>51807581
Remember, AAA =< Big 9. AAAs are probably comparable to modern-day Fortune 500 companies (although there are probably less that 500 of them).
>>
>>51807647
Aren't some AA megas held back from the AAA ranking largely because the current AAA corps do their damndest to sabotage them JUST enough to say there's some doubts that they qualify and because the Corporate Court only has 12 seats and they refuse to give them up?
>>
>>51807707
Just because you have head canon regarding this doesn't make you right.
>>
>>51807707
There are 10 AAA corps, that's all.
>>
>>51807712
Correct.
Some, like Yakashima and Monobe, are basically no less successful then the AAA corps but are held back from the seats because the AAA's don't want to give them up, and it pisses them off.

I think one of the minor plot points of some of the 5e stuff is that a lot of the long-running AA corps have created a conspiracy to fuck over the AAA's constantly just for stopping them from ascending to AAA status for so long, which is generally a pretty unusual thing for corps to do in SR.
>>
>>51807712
See >>51807688
>>
>>51807615
Distinctive Style: smirk?
>>
>>51808025
She has no Distinctive Style I don't think, but I don't recall seeing her sheet.
Her character was a former member of the Shooters gang in Portland (and thus she herself is an augmented ex-hooker) and she plays the "executive escort" type of Face who uses her sex appeal to get what she wants, though she's got enough augmentations to employ violence when she needs to, but overall is very charming in a highly manipulative way. Easily the least trustworthy member of the team we have going on.

She's a fan of the GoT show and I kinda figured out what she was going for fairly early on.
>>
>>51807729
>>51807732
Sorry, bit of a freudian slip. Meant to say "Mega" not "AAA."
The distinction of being a megacorp isn't given only to the members of the Corporate Court. Off the top of my head, I know that DocWagon, Proteus, Sony, and Telestrian are all considered to be megacorps, even thought they're not AAA.
>>
>>51808196
Then quote it.
>>
>>51807339
Updating fixed it, my bad.
>>
>>51807688
They're megas, they just don't have a seat and they're not counted among the big 10. Having a seat doesn't make you a mega.
>>
>>51808341
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_corporations
>>
Hey /srg/, how bad is mute character in the 6th world?
>>
>>51808265
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Category:AA_Corporations
"AA corporations are usually called megacorporations, although the term is often mistakenly considered to only refer to 7-10 AAA Prime Megacorporation members of the Corporate Court."
If you want a more quote from a book, look at page 45 of the Shadowrun 4e core book. It calls all extraterritorial corps 'megacorps,' which includes apx half of all AAs.
>>
How do you deal with enemies running silent as a decker? It seems like sometimes you can have a lot of shit to sift through to find what you want
>>
>>51808427
Probably not too bad with things like DNI letting you send texts with your brain
>>
>>51808427
If you have someone who can talk for you it's not too bad.
>>
>>
>>51808441
Quote it from a fifth edition book. Sorry, I though that was implicit in the focus on getting it right.
>>
>>51808481
It depends on the grade and the situation. Most mid-grade and below guys will barely slow you down by running silent and aren't likely to get a dozen and a half extra things, protect their stuff with Wrapper, and so on down the line.

So for them it's just business as usual unless you can get into a safe-ish place, at which point you work in sim, and crush.

For high-end guys, you probably have nastier things to worry about. But try and get somebody's something with a direct connection and hope it was slaved so that you can start to break the network like that.
>>
File: Dormer.jpg (8MB, 6144x4096px) Image search: [Google]
Dormer.jpg
8MB, 6144x4096px
>>51807615
Her runner name better be Smirkfu.
>>
>>51808544
>Quote it from a fifth edition book
why?
>>
File: Ryker and Breaker.png (228KB, 540x591px) Image search: [Google]
Ryker and Breaker.png
228KB, 540x591px
>>51808441
>It calls all extraterritorial corps 'megacorps,' which includes apx half of all AAs.

It should be all AAs. AA is the step where you get extraterritorial rights, separating it from As (which are multinational but too small to claim extraterritorial).

>>51808544
Sorry you have brain damage and a myopic view that prevents you from reading things more than 5 years old. But here, from pg 22 of core, in the section on megacorps, one of several sentences about what megacorps are.
>Then you’ve got the top rank, the AAAs. The Big Ten. They’re not necessarily the largest megacorporations on Earth, but their size, their diversity, and their power set them apart.
>>
>>51808530
Reminder that the Japs just made a beedrone to do pollination:
https://vimeo.com/203440402
>>
>>51808638
Probably to see if it changed slightly.

The first explicit mentio I can find is, ironically, on page 234 where it says AAA or AA megacorps. It's also similarly explicit on page 339 where it says megacorps as employers and specifies AA or bigger.

Then again you see it on the contacts connection ratings where connection 9 represents a senior executive in an AA megacorp, and once more on 389.

Every other mention is less explicit, or doesn't care about megacorp beyond mentioning megacorp as a status.
>>
>>51808657
I thought AA was the rank where they _could_ get extraterritoriality, not that they automatically got it.
>>
>>51808638
Because Shadowrun changes with the people working on it, revision between editions happens, and usually the core book is the book with the widest brush stroke while later books properly define concepts.
>>
>>51808724
nah, once you reach AA you get extraterritoriality and the right to use scrip
why would you try to get AA otherwise?
>>
>>51808738
Incidentally, I have already quoted in this thread from 4e where it limits megacorps to AAAs in the 4e Corporate Guide.
>>
File: A Level Megacorporations.png (340KB, 334x483px) Image search: [Google]
A Level Megacorporations.png
340KB, 334x483px
>>51808724
>The next step, becoming an AA-ranked corporation, is the one that gets you the big prize of extraterritoriality. To get to this point, you’ve got to show that you’re big in several nations, you’re tough, and you can take the drek the really big boys may dish out at you when they’re in a pissy mood.

AA is extraterritorial, because it basically means that you're a A-level corp who has gotten big enough and resilient enough that you're going to start making up your own laws anyways. The Corporate Court basically exists for this level, to catch people as they start heading in their own direction and make sure they follow a few basic principles so they don't ruin the financial game for everyone.
>>
>>51802412
>What education does your runner have? Did he go to university? Did he do an apprenticeship or joined the military? Did he even go through elementary school? Or is all his knowledge self taught from the School of hard knocks?

Highschool grad with good grades. UCAS Marines for about a year, then a brief stint with Knight Errant.

There's a guy in our team with an MA though, so she's not even the most qualified.
>>
File: VacklavConceptMini.png (841KB, 1092x756px) Image search: [Google]
VacklavConceptMini.png
841KB, 1092x756px
So I want to play a character that's some sort of street doc/scientist. Is that at all viable? Would it work if it was more a rigger with that stuff on the side?

Also, drones are expensive. Just how much more expensive is a biodrone gonna be on average?
>>
>>51808906
>Also, drones are expensive. Just how much more expensive is a biodrone gonna be on average?
If you have to ask....
>>
>>51808906
>play a character that's some sort of street doc/scientist

Biotech skills and (some) logic are all you need for that. You could easily be a LOG-based medic mage. You might have space for biotech on a decker if you went skills A.

You could be an adept or sammy with skills in biotech and maybe the day-job quality. You don't need 20 dice in medicine to be a street doc.
>>
File: DocWagon Cards.png (162KB, 600x265px) Image search: [Google]
DocWagon Cards.png
162KB, 600x265px
>>51808906
High LOG for doctoring means either being a Hermetic/other LOG tradition mage, or a decker. Being a dedicated medicine man is not going to work as a PC, because you're going to have nothing to do 95% of the time if all you do is medicine.
>>
>>51809001
>you're going to have nothing to do 95% of the time if all you do is medicine.

This. It helps to get everyone patched up quickly, but you're going to need other ways to contribute too.
>>
Can adepts counterspell things that target them? Or would that be more a mystic adept thing.

Also adept spell looks really cool, are there any practical uses for it? Or should I not even bother due to the drain
>>
>>51807712

You also got diversification. A big oil company may be AA or A but an AAA got a lot more niches covered even it isnt as good as Big Oil in raping mother earth.
>>
>>51809142

You can make swords out of energy with a spell, allowing sword adepts to not need to carry around their weapon.
>>
>>51809142
Adept spell definitely has uses for any higher-body types. Just pick something really useful (or try juggling qi foci with different Adept Spell powers on them), and cast away.

It may also have some synergy with Direct Combat Spells and Witness My Hate if the GM allows it. The increased drain code is pretty easy to laugh off when you're rolling Bod+Will.
>>
>>51809142
>Can adepts counterspell things that target them?
Nope. That's real mage or mysad.
>>
File: Adept Goes To Run.jpg (87KB, 600x767px) Image search: [Google]
Adept Goes To Run.jpg
87KB, 600x767px
>>51809142
Adepts can't even use spells without Adept Spell (which only lets them use one), counterspelling is definitely out of their wheelhouse.

Adept spell can do all kinds of things. You probably have good BOD+WIL anyways (as a physad anyways) and there's all kinds of stuff you can do with it. Manablade, Critter Form/Improved Invisibility for sneaking, etc. Depends what you want to do.
>>
>>51809229
how can ghouls counter spell without being mages? and what does it look like?
>>
>>51809216
Note that unless you're using the overpowered manablade or being a bit cheesy with dice-pool reduction and/or reagents and high force powerblades, it's really only useful if you're facing hardened armor or have a need for there to be absolutely no chance of your weapon being found.
>>
>>51809246
>Adepts can't even use spells without Adept Spell (which only lets them use one), counterspelling is definitely out of their wheelhouse.
It's a real slog to get the counterspelling skill as a physad, and even harder to convince a GM to allow circumventing rules with that level of cheese, but once you get past that, it's doable.

Or you could just choose an Infected type that gets magical guard.
>>
File: Lightsaber Escalation.webm (3MB, 640x262px) Image search: [Google]
Lightsaber Escalation.webm
3MB, 640x262px
>>51809271
>not doing it for the sheer fun of picking up a stapler off a wageslave's desk and turning it into a lightsaber

pleb
>>
>>51809301
I think it would be easier to convince your GM to let you use counterspelling than to have him allow infected
unless your GM is shit, of course
>>
>>51809253
I don't think ghouls can counterspell out of the box, but infected stuff is not something I'm really versed in.
>>
>>51809246
>>51809224
>>51809216
Well, I have 5 body and 5 will, is that decent enough to risk the drain? And as for the spell, is there something that could get me hardened armor or something that would help me dodge in combat? Basically survivability seems like something I really need. Sorry that i'm asking for my hand held here.
>>
>>51809324
It involves magic pacts with spirits, and even then, an unfavourable interpretation will shut it down.

There's no loopholes or anything with Infected - you just make sure you get infected with the right stuff, and you're on your way to counterspelling.
>>
>>51809309
Nah, that's what an Alchemical preparation of Powerblade is for. It even lets you not have to worry about the five or so reagents you're going to waste every few attempts on your force 7 Powerblade.

I prefer prop hilts and sawed-off baseball bat grips.
>>
>>51809453
Well, there is the literal armor spell, that gives you more armour. Invisibility is also a thing you could look into since it's very hard to shoot a thing you can't see.
>>
>>51809453
>is that decent enough to risk the drain?

10 dice = 3 hits on average. Based on your spell choice, it works (most spells have F-x drain, minimum 2, so you can cast at a decent force and still soak all the drain). You can take a box of Stun now and again.
>>
>>51809453
Hardened armor is a no with adept spell (but if you can spend a good amount on a street-alchemist contact that knows Advanced Alchemy, perhaps they might know an Advanced Alchemy formula that can give you Hardened Armor or Immunity to Normal Weapons), but you have a few options for extra defense.

I'd recommend Deflection, even if's ranged combat only. Normally I'd say the Combat Sense spell, but you can get a little more out the Adept Power Combat Sense (and some Danger Sense) with that Body+Will.

I'd also recommend something to boost that Body if you're going to use Adept Spell to the fullest.
>>
>>51809533
>literal armor spell, that gives you more armour
and mechanically it's shit
0.5 PP per point of armor is too expensive
>>
>>51809568
*Box of physical, all Adept Spell drain is Physical
>>
>>51809574
The armour spell is better than the adept armour power.
>>
>>51809623
>spell
oh, didn't see that
yeah, Armor seems like a good spell to take
combine it with a sustaining focus and you should be fine
>>
>>51809574
Remember, >>51809533 is talking about the Armor spell, through the Adept Spell power.

So he can cast it at Force 4 and not risk taking any physical from the spell. Get a rating 4 Manipulation Sustaining Focus, and it's not great, but it's four extra armor. And it's also not likely to be under or over the effect.

Deflection, on the other hand is only a 3 (and thus 3 defense dice) if you don't want to risk Phys drain.

And to round it out, Combat Sense (the spell) is only Force 2 if you don't want to risk a box or two of phys, so one point of Combat Sense (adept power) and two of Danger Sense is almost as good and doesn't need sustaining. Plus that combo always gives you a chance to roll for surprise.
>>
>>51809658
It's always phys
>>
>>51808906
Biodrones are pretty much exclusively for weird bio-tech research labs that are working in that field. You can get some shenanigans with augmenting the pack-leader of a group of animals and jumping into that animal only, but in practical terms it's more expensive than you'd want to use. Also there's no prices for animals per RAW so you have to hunt them yourself.
>>51809142
They can take the Spell Resistance power that gives additional Resistance dice, but beyond that have no RAW access to counterspelling, as you need to be some variety of caster in order to enable the skillgroup.

'Best' use I've seen of it so far is for magical girl transformation sequences with Fashion, that loli build where you transform into an adult via Shapechange, and manablade shenanigans.

As a general rule I would only recommend looking at Adept Spell if there's a specific thing you want to achieve that you can't do with regular adept powers.
>>51809466
Keep in mind that the only Infected that give you access to counterspelling also turn you into a mystic adept, which means you can no longer gain PP by increasing your MAG.
>>51809658
All Drain incurred by Adept Spell is Physical.
>>
>>51809710
>>51809722

It is. I was more referring to not taking drain at all, because of the 10 drain resistance (base) the guy has.

Those forces all produce 2 drain (if I remember the codes right), which is the minimum drain possible, and below average for 10 dice. So it's not risking taking any drain, as only one success is a fairly rare result for ten dice.
>>
File: the risk i took.jpg (20KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
the risk i took.jpg
20KB, 500x352px
>mfw i haven't even started to read matrix, rigger and magic rules and I start the campaign tomorrow
>>
>>51809722
>magical girl transformation sequences with Fashion
Not gonna lie I want that
>>
>>51809795
Since I guess you are a GM I can only tell you this
be like an eagle
open your arms
and just wing it

Good work, trogger. READ THE DAMN BOOK
>>
>>51809722
>Keep in mind that the only Infected that give you access to counterspelling also turn you into a mystic adept, which means you can no longer gain PP by increasing your MAG.
... You're wrong. It's redundant to include magical guard on an infected type that awakens as a mage / mystic adept if already an adept. Which is why it never happens.

>Dzoo-noo-qua
Nada.
>Fomoraig
Nada.
>Mutaqua
>All mutaqua Awaken as adepts if they were not Awakened before Infection. If they began as magicians, they become mystic adepts
If you're a mage already, then you give not one fuck over the hypothetical of an adept getting counterspelling.
>>
>>51805094
...what kind of table are you playing at where the player's DON'T roll 20+ dice for their main thing.
>>
>>51808580
It's "Shaelyn" actually, which apparently I a squashed version of her real name; "Shaena-Lynn Telestrian".
We only found out about that last part just recently and it's yet another "can we honestly trust her?" question.
>>
Is there specific things a runner's backstory that trigger red flags for DMs?
>>
>>51809959
>SOX
>Toxic Mage
>Anything with Aztechnology
>"Oh yeah I totally know a dragon"
>"I am a dragon"
>>
>>51809959
For our group, no. More like how the backround is represented by the player and his general attitude.
But we rarely have trouble with that; we don't game with total strangers and toss problem pills out right away and SR is niche enough that we don't have a lot of offers to get into it with us anyway.
>>
What are good grenades everyone should have, if they have the cash spare. Grenades I can drop instead of throw would be good
>>
>>51809795
>i haven't even started to read matrix, rigger and magic rules and I start the campaign tomorrow

I'm a player. I first read shadowrun 5e in like 2014, had a hiatus, and I only started to understand the matrix rules like a month ago after the GM started throwing matrix shit at us.

And you're not alone. The matrix rules are a steaming pile of crap, not to mention the maddeningly unclear lore. In my opinion the game would be better off without the matrix and magic stuff. I'm not even going to get into the resonance because that's just a whole extra pile of stupid.

You still have time to make an agreement with your players not to use the matrix rules, let any hacker players reroll as something else, and make your life easier. Or use a simplified version of the matrix rules, that can work too.
>>
>>51810045
Yes.
>>
File: Orc Brawler.jpg (37KB, 300x349px) Image search: [Google]
Orc Brawler.jpg
37KB, 300x349px
>>51809959
As a DM, I always skip ahead to the backgrounds (thank you Chummer for making them easy to find).

If it mentions a prostitute mother, a history of psychopathic behaviour/dead emotions (even if you are heavily borged it's generally not necessary to put in the background), having beef with a AAA, or friends in high places without Friends in High Places (or hanging out with drakes, Infected, etc.), into the trash it goes.

>>51809991
What's wrong with the SOX?
>>
>>51809959
>Commanding Voice power
>Toxic magic/mentors
>Blood magic
>Anything related to Dragons
>Anything related to Immortal Elves
>Anything related to Fame
>Anything related to Friends In High Places
>Characters that don't have knowledge skills other than their job
>>
>>51810074
>What's wrong with the SOX?
It's a radioactive shithole that draws edgelords like black leather and studs
>>
File: Hate.png (120KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hate.png
120KB, 750x500px
>>51810061
>let any hacker players reroll as something else

>telling someone to make a new character the day before the game because you couldn't be bothered to read the rules.
>>
>>51809991
>toxics
>not insect or blood mages
Toxics are OK, but the rest are shit

>>51810045
One flashbang and one frag, both Fichetti (turn your enemies to confetti with Fichetti!)
>>
>>51810099
Must be a German thing.
I've never in years of playing SR had even a single person want to be from the SOX with their character's backstory.
>>
Got to create a new character for getting back into the game. Thinking of a hacker, what are some unique/interesting character hooks I could go for..?
>>
>>51809991
Now imagine a character so paranoid of dragons they accuse everyone of being a dragon at the slightest hint of subterfuge.
>>
>>51810141
Make 'em a super professional, by the book kind of guy. Too many deckers are just nerd steryotypes taken to their extreme.
>>
File: Biker.png (338KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
Biker.png
338KB, 500x714px
>>51810180
Sounds boring, I play a kind of stuffy detective in our fantasy game anyway.

Oh, if I don't get anything I'll probably just recreate Biker.
>>
So I was just looking at the 4e core rulebook just now, and it turns out skilljacks are a new thing, and that before 5e you could use knowsofts and linguasofts with just a datajack or even any commlink with a sim module. Were knowsofts and linguasofts abused in previous editions, or is this just another thing where we'll never understand quite why CGL made the changes they did?
>>
>>51810209
Be Philip Marlowe (or Sam Spade) as much as you feel like playing 'em.

Vacuum coffee maker, ply people with alcohol, (slightly more) legit wife, all that.
>>
>>51810161
>implying they're not right
>>
In Dragonfall, is there a way to give one of your teammates an item you pick up? Also, is there a way to drop items?
>>
>>51810209
Think less "stuffy detective" and more "wears a suit for casualwear"

>>51810303
Nope. Not during the actual mission, at least. You can only change their equipment before you go on a mission, IIRC.
>>
>>51810084
What's wrong with Commanding Voice?
>>
Defaulting on a skill gives a -4 penalty right?
>>
>>51810363
nope, -1
>>
>>51810376
That's much better.
>>
What are some good qualities for a technomancer?
>>
>>51810272
Bit more info for what kinda guy he is? Not sure who that is...

>>51810326
Eh, we had a real bad suit-wearing Hacker (Techno) once before, and that idea still doesn't excite me.
>>
>>51810326
>Nope. Not during the actual mission, at least.

Fuck, that's terrible design. Can I have teammates pick up items out of combat?
>>
>>51810363
If the GM for some reason allowed defaulting to a related skill, that'd be -4 or so, but I can't figure out why somebody would do that.

>>51810387
Major focus on being a technomancer, or something else with a few techno-benefits (likely Machine Sprites)?

For the first one, consider getting Exceptional Willpower (if possible) or Profiler so that you can leverage a sprite and your own computer search into a few bonus social dice. Biocompat (Cyber) is also good because you can get a little more in, and usually boost it with a Machine Sprite.
>>
>>51810441
>going cyber AND magic
>>
>>51810495
you mean cyber and resonance, right?
And just like with awakened a little bit of 'ware can be very useful
>>
>>51810414
If you can control them individually, I'd assume you can, but I'm not sure.
Why do you need to know so badly, by the way? If it's an important item, you can just deposit it in your stash or something.
>>
>>51810411
Those two are the origins of the Hardboiled Detective.

Marlowe was wise-cracking, hard drinking (and good at using that), and had a love for chess (only played against himself or books, which could be turned into trying to beat machines). He also had a wife that was from money (probably best done here as just slightly more legit than the runner), and a dog. The moral uprightness should probably be replaced by some kind of Code, because, well, you're in the shadows.

Sam Spade's the other half of the equation. He's the one with the secretary, detached, keen eye for detail, and was determined to bring about his own justice. Notably, because he got played by Bogie, people tend to not think of Spade as blond, well-built, or mischievous, so it's a bit of a toss up as to which you want to try using.

>>51810495
That guy's >>51810510 pretty right. One, perhaps even two, points of 'ware can do wonders, especially with a Machine Sprite working diligently in the background.
>>
>>51810510
Res is still magical, it's a product of magic returning to the world.
>>
>>51810534
I don't really want to do hardboiled detective though.
>>
>>51810534
Yes, a couple points of 'ware can work wonders. Tell me, where are you getting all the points for skills, attributes, 'ware, AND resonance?
>>
>>51810510
>>51810534
A Machine Sprite would be so much better used on a guy full of ware though, and as the other anon said you're putting your fingers in so many pies, you won't be able to afford it all.
>>
>>51810543
>it's a product of magic returning to the world.
Do you have any source for that?
>>
>All this TM discussion
http://shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/comment/181431/#Comment_181431
Every time, until you like it
>>
>>51809859
Fuck, Magical Guard. Right, sorry. Forgot about that power, was thinking about the nosferatu and wendigo.
>>51810346
Tends to be a headache for a GM, since players that take it commonly try to rules-lawyer it. It's not necessarily a veto, just something that indicates that you might need to have a quiet chat with the player about what they want to do, or think they can do.
>>
>>51804430
That's not actually true, pixies are ever-present all over the world, France is just the only place that legally recognises them as sentient beings.
>>
>>51810594
He's a bit wrong, actually. I'd have to dig for a while to find the exact quote, but technomancy is "a new kind of magic, one more suited for the Sixth World".
>>
If a gun doesn't have a wireless bonus, does that mean it can't be hacked?
If the above is wrong, if it doesn't have a bonus, but does have wireless, what is the advantage of having the wireless on?
This is assuming no smartgun
>>
>>51810661
>kind of magic
So yea, it's a product of magic returning to the world.

>>51810594
Are you saying Technomancy isn't a magic-fed mutation?
>>
>>51810722
I'm looking at page 249 of the core rulebook right now and says technomancy is neither science nor magic.
>>
>>51810722
>Are you saying Technomancy isn't a magic-fed mutation?
Is it subject to background counts, counterspelling, etc etc?
>>
>>51810778
no, you've got a deck in ur skull, still need a jack
>>
>>51810722
magic is the manipulation of mana
technomancers don't need mana to do their stuff
ergo: Technomancy =/= Magic
>>
>>51810744
So then what is it?

>>51810823
The different races are a product of magic returning and yet they don't all get mana.
>>
>>51810823
Why are you even having this conversation? There is literally zero conclusive lore written about the Resonance or where it fucking comes from.
>>
anyone ever notice all the drones in shadowrun are slowly being made now?

http://startplaydate.com/?gclid=CJrz9o3RndICFUobaQodrEkGFQ
>>
>>51810877
well what else is there to talk about?
Give us something to discuss
>>
>>51810868
>So then what is it?
Technomancy. Yes, that may be circular reasoning, but no one knows exactly what technomancy is other than that it is neither science nor magic.
>>
File: Dwarves On Skill.png (87KB, 439x155px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves On Skill.png
87KB, 439x155px
>>51810222
>Were knowsofts and linguasofts abused in previous editions

Eh. I know some people who used them all the time, but others preferred to just stretch their existing knowledge skills as far as they could. It's possible the designers had problems at their tables and assumed it was universal.
>>
>>51810560
If you're doing Sum-to-10, I have a DBBDC Techno based on Active Hardwires, sprite wrangling, and an Arm of God. Not the best build and also done way before the first hints of the Fading errata so it'd need some definite changes now that some of the forms are set to be more usable.

For Priority, you're almost certainly going to be E-Human, and then you're going to have to juggle. A attributes implies B-Techno if you're going to want to do anything but summon a rating 4 Machine Sprite and keeping it's OS from rising via Focused Concentration 2.

At C Resources, you can manage to afford active hardwires and a good alpha-grade Arm of God on ~1 Essence, and that can give you a little boost on the D skill priority.

If you go C skills, then your Arm of God will need to be a little less godly or used, and in that case you're starting off with a large essence debt (unless you can get it Omega).

And while there is something to be said about being an EACBD genegeneered gunbunny with some techno thrown in (rating 4 Machine Sprites all day, every day), it's probably not the best use of things.

>>51810581
Yeah. You have to build around it, and you're almost certainly sprite wrangling and supporting them. Don't try and deck with your head if at all possible. Abuse focused concentration and Long Haul. Etc, etc.
>>
>>51810920
With that argument I would also say that you can't rule it out as not being a magical byproduct.
>>
File: External Smartgun.jpg (128KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
External Smartgun.jpg
128KB, 960x720px
>>51810684
>If the above is wrong, if it doesn't have a bonus, but does have wireless, what is the advantage of having the wireless on?
>This is assuming no smartgun

None. If it has no inherent bonus, and you don't use something like smartgun or an imaging scope, there's no point.
>>
>>51810868
>The different races are a product of magic returning and yet they don't all get mana.

They don't all get magic, or the ability to manipulate mana. Mana is a facet of the world, and is necessary for those metatypes to emerge.
>>
So I'm moving into Shadowrun over from D&D, and I really am enjoying the rules, as hard as they are to parse through.

Is there anything that's really cheese in Shadowrun? In any of the editions that I should watch out for?
>>
>>51807119
That smirking whore from Bellevue.
>>
>>51810967
Except everyone agrees that it isn't magic. If it was a magic byproduct, it would be known to be a magic byproduct.
>>
>>51810543, >>51810594
I think it has more to do with the fracturing of Deus, Maegara, and Mirage causing their foundational code to be built into the Matrix, based on descriptions of how they "died".

But of course nobody who writes Shadowrun read Neuromancer or it's sequels unlike the original creators, so everyone working at CGL missed the reference entirely and just failed at shit.
>>
File: 5cf.jpg (56KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
5cf.jpg
56KB, 600x587px
>>51811076
>But of course nobody who writes Shadowrun read Neuromancer or it's sequels unlike the original creators, so everyone working at CGL missed the reference entirely and just failed at shit.
Seriously, that shit should be mandatory reading before you even PLAY Shadowrun, let alone write it.
>>
>>51806097

Just paint black over the pips yourself.
>>
>>51811122
>Or is this a potential home project down the line?
Gee, wonder what he meant by that...
>>
>>51810967
I'm nearly 99% percent sure it's a bit fallout from the Second Crash.
I think Clockwork is ironically partially right; the AI's created the TM's, though only in the sense that a man who ejaculates into a test tube at a sperm bank is a "father".
Of course with Deus returning in Eliohann's body (god what a shitty storyline) that whole theory no longer makes sense, despite it being both internally consistent in the background lore AND obviously a bit of inspiration from the source material SR takes much of it's Matrix hints from.
>>
>>51810910
Well, NPCs are always fun to discuss. Thoughts on the theory that Pax is behind CFD?
>>
File: 1421608343012.jpg (2MB, 1954x1421px) Image search: [Google]
1421608343012.jpg
2MB, 1954x1421px
How familiar with the concept of shadowrunning and shadowrunners are the average civilian? Does the average wageslave even know that corps engage in secret warfare with each other (with runners as the expendable soldiers)? Or do corps just tell the press "terrorism" whenever the runners do something that results in public destruction?
>>
File: 1395642241607.jpg (56KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1395642241607.jpg
56KB, 500x502px
>>51811138

Buying resin, carving molds, and casting the damn dice himself. This is after placing a drop of his own blood into each, so they only roll well in his hands, and roll terribly in anyone elses
>>
>>51811076
'cept the Otaku were around long before that and Deus was lying through his teeth when he claimed he could reverse Fading.

The Dissonance, on the other hand...
>>
>>51811186
Don't know how familiar everyone is with the secret corp wars, but there are numerous references to "the shadowrunners you see in the trids" so the public knows they exist and get hired for dangerous shit for sure.
>>
>>51811186

Its a part of pop-culture in the 70's
>>
>>51811186
The average wageslave knows that shadowrunners exist, that they sometimes target corps, and that they may or may not be terrorists. The concept of a shadowrunner is very popular in action flicks/sims, where they are represented with varying degrees of truth.
>>
>>51811186
Shadowrunners are a common topic for movies/media, and like most Sixth World media, the truth is heavily distorted for entertainment value. According to the average wage slave, Shadowrunners are men and women of ill repute carrying around katanas, often working with dangerous Technomancer-criminals, and making hte world a worse place with their dangerous and nefarious anti-corp schemes.
>>
>>51811115
Nah, not play. But writing for it? Maybe.
You also need to read up on how the Matrix worked in earlier editions in the fluff just so you can stay consistent I think, that should be a requirement.
The current edition is AWFUL at explaining things like that; it's an entire edition for ancient grognards that often explains close to nothing at all about a new topic matter for the edition.
The worst part about is that though 4e's rules had a lot more problems, 5e's actual fluff and explaining what shit is or how it works or what it looks like/feels like is so bad that it's close to the absolute worst at that shit for any RPG I've ever seen in my life.

The entire writing bit for 5e is written by ancient fucks who understand the universe already FOR ancient fucks who understand the universe already, which is a god-awful marketing tactic for attracting new players.
I generally make my players read 5e books for rules but point out stuff in 4e for fluff questions, because sometimes the answers literally do not exist in 5e books despite having already been published in a previous edition of that same sort of sourcebook.
>>
>>51811186
It's probably along the lines of the Salem Witch Trials. People know about it, but probably not a lot, and carry several misconceptions ranging from minor to major.

That it's basically corp policy to do dirty work through them is a bit unknown (either relegated to criminal malefactors in the corp, or organized crime), and there's probably a lot of stuff that gets seen as terrorism, despite having very little to do with it.

And it's sometimes used for crime-dramas, but those are also edited.
>>
>>51811243
>Shadowrunners are men and women of ill repute carrying around katanas, often working with dangerous Technomancer-criminals, and making hte world a worse place with their dangerous and nefarious anti-corp schemes.

Aside from the technomancer thing, the rest of that seems pretty accurate...
>>
>>51811217
>>51811222
>>51811237
>>51811243
>>51811280

Would it be within the realm of possibility for a runner to host a webshow around his/her exploits (ignoring the obvious challenges and dangers that would come with a runner recording everything they do)?
>>
>>51811293
Hey now, I know for a fact that some of my killing sprees have made the world a better place.
>>
>>51811314
There are, in fact, a number of qualities that together allow you to do just that and make money off it too.
>>
>>51811314
That's the standard mode of affairs in LA
>>
>>51811314
Sure. Keeping safe from hostile hackers should be priority.
>>
>>51811314
Only in LA. Everyone else is best served by selling small bits to show runners or data brokers to get money that way.
>>
>>51811195
Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about at all actually.
Basically I think (in a direct reference to Neuromancer, which was kind of the fucking point) when the three super-AI "shattered" after attaining deity-like levels of digital power they spread their consciousness across the foundations of the Matrix (on accident, like shrapnel scattering across a battlefield), which then was rebuilt with them as a fundamental inclusion in the base code.

This is why AI's can spontaneously generate now (whereas previously the effort it took was Herculean to create one), and I think some of this "hyper-consciousness" attached itself to people who were online and people who weren't (because remember, the Matrix is really just an omnipresent radio/microwave signal in one sense, giving them virtuakinetic powers.

Basically when the AI's "died" their bodies became a sort of digital version of the global manafield, and specific people who are sensitive to it can access it and manipulate it much like specific people who are sensitive to mana can manipulate and access mana.

The Resonance Realms might be the sleeping "subconscious" of the new Matrix, or they might be metaplanes of sorts created by the collective dreaming of all these minds connected to the Matrix.
>>
>>51811293
>shadowrunners are anti-corp
>conveniently ignoring they're paid by corps
Found the GOD shill

>>51811314
There are literally HorizonTube channels of Shadowrunners uploading (blurred and edited) footage of their runs.
>>
>>51811317
>a better place
less lines at the air port
local economy improves by funeral arrangements
apartments once rented by shit tenants are now being improved
slight sense of poetic justice and comedic timing in the news caster's voice
>>
>>51811314
LA runners actually specialize in that.
No joke.
>>
>>51811314
Definitely not, if only because they would not survive a single broadcast if they so much as accidentally flash a AA or AAA's logo on screen.

HOWEVER

I imagine there would be very popular shows that would show case "The way the proper runners do it" by showing the gear, the methods, etc.

Example in real world of just that: There's a show about home improvement called "It takes a thief" where they hire an ex-convicted thief to break into someones house (who signed up for it of course), record the whole thing, then they show it to the family.

Afterwards, they do a full makeover on the house to improve the security.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpkwlgLGxQ
(Poor quality due to youtube copywrite I imagine.)
>>
>>51811353
That's probably where AI come from, but it's definitely not where the Resonance comes from, seeing as it predated Crash 2.0. The most crash 2.0 did was strengthen the already present Resonance.

It should also be noted that, according to the Dragons and Immortal Elves, there is magic that can be used to determine if an AI is "sentient" (in a magical sense, at least), and no Matrix entities have passed this test yet. This makes your theory about AI's influencing Magic circumspect at least.
>>
>>51811368
Wow, I hadn't even considered those angles.
>TFW singlehandedly saved the coffinmaking business in a small town once
>>
Anyone have a priority table for beginner runners? The core rulebook only modifies the money column and the starting karma for street level but the attribute points are completely unchanged
>>
>>51811523
attribute and skill points*
>>
>>51811523
Don't use that side-bar for beginning runners. It's crap. Use p350's street scum rules instead.
>>
>>51811542
you mean using the priority table as BCDEE instead of ABCDE?

what about both BCDEE priorities AND the reduced nuyen + 13 karma from the sidebar?
>>
>>51811660
It's BCDEE or CCDDE.

Yes, you can include Street Level with Street Scum, but I'd recommend limiting awakened to aspected mages if you do.
>>
>>51811156
I honestly hope she isn't. Honest fuckups ruining the world is a lot better to me than endless conspiracies.
>>
>>51811680
Why don't you just use Sum-to-8 or something?
>>
>>51811695
It's core book Sum To Six before ST6 existed.
>>
>>51811695
A few times I've played with the idea of a low-rent version of a Desert Wars-ish game by doing a Sum-To-24, with a floor of 6 or 8 points on any given team member, and probably at least three people.
>>
>>51810061
I LIKED the deep resonance, and the otaku. Technomancer's could have easily worked. But why'd they have to spread it to the ENTIRE matrix? Fucking hell. Just make the resonance realms the domain of whatever passion the resonance was and call it a day.
>>
>>51811725
>Sum-To-24
Everything at A, and then some extra points "because"?
>>
>>51810531
I wanted to give Dietrich a sick ass toxic spirit thing.
>>
>>51811758
just give it to him next mission
>>
>My GM wants me to do a Foundation Run
It's an esoteric subsection of the already-esoteric matrix rules that is buried in the labyrinth of Data Trails. (P106)
Any advice? Technomancer, Sprite specialist, if that helps.
>>
How's Miami for a campaign? I feel like running some cyberpunk, magical vice city shit
>>
>>51811753
You need to build a team of people. The minimum is so that somebody can't put more than 12 in a person and balance it out with a few ultra-cheapos. Or just have a team of hundreds with all E characters. (If the floor is 8, then it'd be more points than 24)
>>
File: Cosby.jpg (72KB, 736x636px) Image search: [Google]
Cosby.jpg
72KB, 736x636px
>>51811769
I'm on the last mission.
>>
File: dfda80db14b94fed7b9ee19283b12584.jpg (461KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dfda80db14b94fed7b9ee19283b12584.jpg
461KB, 1680x1050px
>>51811815
Going to be one of the next CMP settings, I believe. Doesn't have a substantial amount of canon, but you can do a lot with it.

----

Anyone got an opinion on UX for expanding/collapsing all nodes in a treeview? Like qualities or gear or whatever, so that you don't have to collapse or expand each node one at a time. Currently it's set that a ctrl-click will collapse that node and everything attached to it, but that might not be the most useful pattern.
>>
File: Resonance Realms.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Resonance Realms.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>51811795
Go along with the weirdness. Bring friends (especially any adepts or street samurai, because of weird Foundation rules their high attributes help a ton). Have a goal in mind and an escape plan, don't just wander around the ultraviolet and hope to get lucky.
>>
>>51811280
>And it's sometimes used for crime-dramas, but those are also edited.

In 4e they talked about a popular drama series called "Water Margin" based off of the famous real-life Chinese novel, only the setting was Seattle instead of 14th century China and the heroic outlaws were all Shadowrunners.
>>
So what's going on in Detroit right now?
>>
Tell me about spellblades in the sixth world.
>>
>>51811910
Sure I won't get my friends killed, given that their skills are useless if they don't have any computer skills? I've got a street sam shooter, an adept alchemist, and a summoner. Only one I wouldn't feel like bringing in was murdering by bringing in is a technomancer contact of mine.
>>
>>51811423
The Matrix (and advanced technology in general) is actually completely new to the Sixth World; advanced technology is such an unknown factor that guys like Harlequin think one day it will be a useful force modifier against the Horrors when they arrive in force.
>>
>>51811815
Miami is part of Cuba now, basically.
>>
>>51812039
>now
>>
>>51811945
Manablade is overpowered because it combines the best of a weapon with the best of a direct combat spell.

Powerblade is good, unless you cheese limits somehow (alchemy included). In most cases an actual melee person would be better off with a real weapon (and most mages better off with a real weapon and a str buff spell), but those cases where it's useful can make you really thankful.

The major one is hardened armor, where it really shines, but if you have alchemy and can give your blade or club master one, it can add another person to the spirit killing mix.
>>
File: Foundation Architecture.jpg (195KB, 1280x984px) Image search: [Google]
Foundation Architecture.jpg
195KB, 1280x984px
>>51811945
Despite the best efforts of faggots, Shadowrun continues to not be Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. Spellblades remain nonexistent.

adepts are a different thing

>>51811984
If they have any karma to spare, spending 2 points apiece on Cybercombat and Hacking for Physical and Combat to avoid defaulting is great. If not, they can wing it; the difference between their good attributes and shitty skills, and your likely shit attributes and good skills, means it evens out at mediocre.
>>
>>51812103
what about just like
a melee-oriented mage
>>
>>51812027
Omae, if there's anything you can have faith in in the sixth world, it's that you can't pull a fast one on the Dragons or the Elves. If there's anything those guys don't know, they know that they don't know it.
If they say that they'll know when an AI is magically sentient, they'll fucking know when an AI is sentient.
>>
>>51812103
Oh, but they do exist. In TWO VARIETIES.
>>
>>51812120
Shame that Leonardo never was elaborated on. He was basically an elven immortal who could ape some of the Otaku's powers with a lot of fucking around. Now he's Lofwyr's little bum-chum and sleeps with his balls about 30 centimetres from the nukes he tried to steal from Lofwyr. Hilarious.
>>
>>51812155
>he's Lofwyr's little bum-chum
excuse me?
>>
File: Elemental Strike Adept.png (690KB, 897x613px) Image search: [Google]
Elemental Strike Adept.png
690KB, 897x613px
>>51812120
>If there's anything those guys don't know, they know that they don't know it.
Like they know now that they don't know shit about modern warfare, because Sirrurg got put down like a bitch.

>If they say that they'll know when an AI is magically sentient, they'll fucking know when an AI is sentient.
They might conflate 'sentience' with 'having Essence', which would be a useful measure for every living thing in the world but incapable of dealing with AI, which are not alive shut up Johnny 5.

>>51812118
You can make someone who is magic and melee oriented - adept is the preferred choice, but mage can work with the right build. You can even wield magic swords or cover your fists with fire, but the entire back-end is totally different from spellblades.
>>
>>51812179
He tried to steal some nuclear warheads from Lofwyr. He was 'thrown' to Scale and some of the other servants to be 'broken'. Now he's Lofwyr's personally little research cabana boy, presumably under the threat of a good solid Mexican hello.
>>
>>51812183
AI actually have essence post crash 2.0, but that's not particularly important, since we're dealing with pre-crash AI.
The important thing is, according to Magic, Deus and the rest were as sentient as doorknobs; they are magically insignificant, and wouldn't be changing the laws of the universe by dying.

>>51812218
I'd feel sorry for him, but what did he expect would happen if he tried to steal nukes from Lofwyr.
>>
>>51812103
Nice. Thank you for that map. Going to be skating high on my Etiquitte rolls I imagine, for days.

Anybody have advice for dealing with E-Ghosts, while I'm at it? There's a dead technomancer's icon haunting my party in AR and giving me links to ever-deeper areas in the code, though given all the background lore about the horrors about the ghosts in the machine I'm admittedly a little reticent to see where this thread takes me. How do you approach weird matrix phenomena, /srg/? Got any good stories to tell about following it?
>>
File: Computer Criminals.jpg (272KB, 1200x838px) Image search: [Google]
Computer Criminals.jpg
272KB, 1200x838px
>>51812299
On AI essence,
>AI characters have an Essence attribute, as do normal characters. However, this is not normal Essence, and cannot be drained by Essence Drain. For all other intents and purposes, it is real Essence.

And
>AI characters don’t gain karma, at least not the sense of a karmic energy that metahuman characters gather in their adventures. They do learn and grow, however, and the disorder in their hyperdimensional cognitive matrices is highly analogous to the game concept of Karma. AI characters earn Karma as do normal characters. However, AIs cannot use Karma in all the ways metahuman characters can: it cannot be drained by Energy Drain, given to spirits, or otherwise transferred. For all other intents and purposes, it is real Karma.

I always assumed Essence and Karma were using game terms to represent inherent integrity and advancement points, respectively. Otherwise I have no idea what they mean when they say it is real Essence, but not normal Essence.

>>51812324
The map was originally supposed to be in Data Trails, got cut because Hardy is a terrible editor, and was posted by the author on the forums.

Also once had a free sprite get in touch with me, wanted to explore the world. The GM likely intended it to be a bonding experience to help my character get over his loathing of technomancers.

After convincing it to download onto a commlink with sensor tags for a 'real world road trip' I wrapped it in a Faraday blanket and fried it in the microwave. Sometimes the GM would play Daisy Bell when I glitched Matrix rolls afterwards, but the campaign ended before anything came of it.
>>
>>51812452
>I always assumed Essence and Karma were using game terms to represent inherent integrity and advancement points, respectively.
Essence, Karma, Force, etc are in-setting terms used to talk about what their mechanical effects represent - usually by hermetic mages.
>>
>>51812120
You can though, because one of them just got taken over by an evil AI nanomachine virus.
If there's one ACTUAL thing you can put faith in in the Sixth World, it's that things will radically change depending on the writer and entire plots will vanish despite how supposedly important they are.
There's a good 50% chance Nanotech Dragon Deus after having flown away after the Boston lockdown will NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN, that's how bad it is.

Besides, AI's only even exist because the megacorps used Immortal Elf science to literally copy a human soul without knowing it, so IE knowledge and magic WAS used in the original creation of AI's in the first place.
>>
>>51812452
Ah yes, the IBM Personal Mainframe. Throbbing with a whole 16 MHz of digital power.
>>
>>51812155
Leonardo's kind of indirectly responsible for creating AI's anyway, so clearly not all the IE's know everything because some of them quite clearly know more then others.
>>
>>51812179
Doctor Antonio Vieri (the alias Leonardo/Brightlight used) is now an employee of Saeder-Krupp.
It was a pretty low-key thing from Emergence I believe that you'd only catch if you knew what to look for.
>>
>>51812495
>There's a good 50% chance Nanotech Dragon Deus after having flown away after the Boston lockdown will NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN, that's how bad it is.

Honestly, I'd love it if this plotline lies fallow for like two editions, then we get a Missions campaign, "Where in the world is Eliohann San Diego?"
>>
>>51812546
Even if we did, that mission wouldn't include one hundredth the necessary amount of pun or reference names, and won't have enough monumental theft.
>>
>>51812452
I think is has a bit to do with Earthdawn stuff. Essence has to do with Background Count, and Karma was basically Earthdawn's version of Edge (which is why only Name Givers, Sentients, and Dragons can get it, barring certain Spirit pacts).

>>51812495
>the megacorps used Immortal Elf science to literally copy a human soul without knowing it
Except they didn't do that, and all the major AI were created by accident or were based on AI that were created by accident.
>>
>>51812517
Aithne, Alachia, to a lesser extent Ehran, Surehand and Laverty are all hellbent on playing politics. Harlequin's a lush who occasionally does things. Aina's dead, but was like Harlequin. Leonardo was actually advancing the cause of everything. Urdli's sitting in his rock doing coon things, like sniffing petrol. Foster and niFarra are engaged in their own little private dick waving contest. The only one who's really getting on with anything is Sheila Blatvaska.
>>
>>51812546
I want all the CFD shit to just die and be over, including all plot points that rely on it. Absolutely nobody likes the storyline.
I want all the "plot" of 5e to be promptly forgotten and all the idiot fanwank of 5e authors to just be forgotten by the next batch of writers so they can look back on what they have done and realized that they spent years worth of time doing and accomplishing absolutely fucking nothing, all their work ignored and forgotten.

Ideally some of them would commit suicide after, but I can settle for them simply living knowing how much time they wasted on everything.
>>
>>51812589
Oh, and Brane. Mostly politics, but given that she's on a weird chunk of demiplanar fuckery I don't think it counts.
>>
>>51812589
>The only one who's really getting on with anything is Sheila Blatvaska

Is she actually doing anything in the Yakut? Or is she just trying to make herself a nice home without any of those dirty metahumans driving down property values?
>>
>>51812577
>Except they didn't do that, and all the major AI were created by accident or were based on AI that were created by accident.

Not quite.
While Mirage definitely showed up by himself, both Maegara AND Deus arose due to Renraku's experienents with the weird magically active cyberdeck Leonardo gave with them to help them create AI, and it's said that they never fully understood the technology behind it.
As far as anyone can decipher from the original plotline with Leonardo, he was trying to figure out how to bring back the Passions in digital form on the Matrix and had ALREADY figured out how to digitize the human soul.
>>
>>51812648
That's Vernya, and she's a free spirit who has an incredible hate-on for Buttercup and people who aren't spirits or shifters. Sheila's the head of the Atlantean Foundation, one of four 6th world immortals. Or.. I guess she's 5th world, since she was born in 2011 with Deigh.

Or am I out of date on my lore?
>>
>>51812589
> Leonardo was actually advancing the cause of everything

Leo came off more as a well-meaning but slightly crazy scientist who experimented with different shit just to figure out if he COULD do certain things without trying to decide if he SHOULD do them.

To whit; he needed resources so he sold his weird magical cyberdeck to Renraku in return for nearly unlimited resources and he just never even considered the consequences of doing it.
>>
File: Monad Manifesto Headcase Space.png (391KB, 396x699px) Image search: [Google]
Monad Manifesto Headcase Space.png
391KB, 396x699px
>>51812605
>Absolutely nobody likes the storyline

I introduced a couple new people to Shadowrun to fill out the table, and they like it. Ironic in light of >>51811246, it's mostly older players who have seen the same storyline done better before that don't like it.

'Nanovirus secretly rewriting people's brains with pseudo-independent strains of AI that don't know what they want but definitely don't want to be destroyed' is a good story, it's handling as CFD was garbage.

Dying on the way back to their home planet is shit-tier writing, though.
>>
>>51812722
And Celedyr is in basically the same boat. So invested in trying to bring magic and machine together, he never stopped to think about what the ramifications of making nanobots that can rewire brains are.
>>
>>51812758
I think it's important to clarify; the IE's and GD's THINK they know absolutely everything and always know what's best for everyone, but time has repeatedly shown that they can and DO make mistakes and that some of them have even died for them on occasion.

The only ones who seemed to realize that they are genuinely fallible and don't pretend to know everything are Harlequin and Aina, but it might simply by that their mistakes were purely personal instead of the grandiose failures we've seen the others make and thus are harder to notice unless you're familiar with them.
>>
ive always wanted to get into Shadowrun but I'm still really new to RPGs, the mechanics scare me a bit but I'm sure they aren't that difficult, just kind of looks like a lot to take in.

Any advice for someone wanting to start playing and who will likely end up being the GM of the group?
>>
File: Magnitude.jpg (22KB, 288x212px) Image search: [Google]
Magnitude.jpg
22KB, 288x212px
>>51812865
>the mechanics scare me a bit but I'm sure they aren't that difficult
>>
>>51812865
Shadowrun 5e machanics are wide, but shallow.
Meaning there's a LOT of them but nearly all are resolved with the exact same types of rolls for everything.
>>
File: Shadowrun vs. Dungeons & Dragons.jpg (221KB, 1343x607px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun vs. Dungeons & Dragons.jpg
221KB, 1343x607px
>>51812865
>>51812878
But on a serious note read the rulebook, get Chummer, try making a few characters (googling "[archetype] 5e build" to get some pointers on each) and go for it.

Make sure when you get a group together that everyone learns their part. They don't need to know everything, but they at least need to have a copy of the Hayek sheets (from pastebin) and know in a general sense what to do or at least where in the book to look for answers. When you can't remember a rule, it's on them to dig out the answer.
>>
>>51812722
Okay, true. Maybe I should elaborate: The only one advancing anything, anywhere, ever. The others were hip deep in politics or doing nothing. Leonardo's discoveries managed to actually change things. Blatvaska isn't discovering anything, she's digging it up. But sure, it helps.
>>
>>51812897
does that make it easier or harder for newbies?

does it fall into the same old test and that's easy to pick up due to repetition or due to how similar everything is it can be difficult to work out exactly what should be rolled
>>
>>51812799
Dunkelzahn did. Lady Brane does, but not quite on the level that any of the others have. It's more that she realises people bigger and better than her are out there.
>>
>>51812920

thanks for that, that image really helped illustrate the point. so i guess step 1 is playing a campaign myself first.

Cheers guys
>>
>>51812758
"I'm the loremaster now, wisest and most venerated of dragonkind! Owner of a repository of lore stretching back tens of thousands of years, with the collected wisdom of dragons and lesser races! Now I'm going to stick my big scaly dragon cock into a computer!"

God damnit.
>>
File: Every Time.png (6KB, 299x116px) Image search: [Google]
Every Time.png
6KB, 299x116px
>>51812977
>>
>>51812936
easier to get a starting idea, nearly impossible to remember every little roll.
I reckon there are a few mechanics that no one uses because of this.
>>
File: jojo.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jojo.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>51810641
>mfw use Commanding Voice for rule of cool and just have people repeat what I tell them they're going to say
>>
>>51813011
>Counts as teamwork test for Intimidation
>>
File: delicious jojo.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
delicious jojo.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>51813011
>>51813049
This is the coolest use of the power I have ever seen and now I want to make a face just to use it.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (109KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
109KB, 1200x900px
>>51813049
Toss in actions and you could turn it into a song and dance routine and flash mob corporate facilities.
>>
>>51811314

oh shit, are you my GM?
>>
File: jojo's bizarre oilventure.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jojo's bizarre oilventure.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
>>51813066
>>51813049
>mfw favorite thing I ever did was blow up a CEO's office with him inside. My last turn action? Use CV, 'your next line is' being: "Was this part of your plan too, Roadhouse?!"
>saying 'damn right!' just as the place blew.

Was worth burning an edge to survive the explosion and land battered and bruised 3 stories down
>>
I have a really dumb idea for a drone but I need to know if/how it'll work.

I want an anthro combat drone with... dancing autosofts. I want it to be the most ridiculous robot in the joint, distracting people with flashing lights and dancing.
It doesn't have to be a good killbot, but it should be tanky. Nobody is allowed to interrupt the dance in motion.

This is entirely for style and hilarity points.
>>
File: next you'll say.jpg (32KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
next you'll say.jpg
32KB, 600x340px
>>51813235
>>51813066
>>51813011
>you will never play a physad with Elemental Strike: SUNLIGHT
>you will never disintegrate vampires and other infected with a single punch
>>
>>51813475
>Nobody is allowed to interrupt the dance in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEtVOGYWwc
>>
>>51813475
Something something, Noizquito discoball?
>>
>>51813491
My GM allowed Elemental Strike: Light since we ported the game from 4e to 5e
I'm living the dream
>>
File: The Church of the Exalted Hunt.jpg (343KB, 1920x795px) Image search: [Google]
The Church of the Exalted Hunt.jpg
343KB, 1920x795px
What would be some neat things to flesh out a cult that ritualistically hunts paranimals in the Olympian Rainforest?
>>
>>51813576
Then don't waste a fucking second of it, you glorious bastard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVV1kG0nfE
>>
>>51811434
>>51811368
>>51811317
>>
File: 1485342629442.jpg (154KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
1485342629442.jpg
154KB, 1280x718px
>>51811815

My Face\Gunslinger character lived in Miami, and thats where the campaign took place.

the Caribbean League is a fun place to Run - sand, sun, beautiful women, and pirates, guns, explosions, fast cars, drugs, civil unrest.

Read "Cyberpirates" 3e book
>>
>>51812183
>Fireball + Spell Shaping.png
FTFY.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.