[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Edgy warlocks edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 49

File: 1482485826248.jpg (63KB, 564x916px) Image search: [Google]
1482485826248.jpg
63KB, 564x916px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51702217

Warlock arcana will be released just in four hours or so. What are your expectations?
I think they'll try to "fix" bladelock* by releasing a melee-focused pact, like Hexblade or something like that.

* - "Fix" is in quotation marks because there's nothing there to fix. It's just a pact boon, not even a pact, it's not supposed to make you as good at melee as an actual melee class.
>>
First for gunpowder is totally fine.
>>
File: tumblr_oksy20ssKk1qmr4eao1_540.jpg (143KB, 540x790px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oksy20ssKk1qmr4eao1_540.jpg
143KB, 540x790px
Anybody play around with the firearm/modern armor rules? I'm wanting to do a high fantasy modern-ish game (Great War era).
>>
>>51706929
More patrons like a djinn/elemental, a hag, hell even an aberration like an Elder Orb or Ultralithid.
>>
File: King Hekaton.png (86KB, 171x189px) Image search: [Google]
King Hekaton.png
86KB, 171x189px
>>51706961
Stop using DnD for inappropriate games.
>>
>>51706856
I think this is something I always struggle with, but my usual DM always glosses over the party coming together, so it is never an issue. Just not sure where to start with that.

Should i align my Character's motivations with theirs? Is it a good idea to make a reason why they NEED to be with other people?

What are some good reasons, that are not setting specific, for adventuring with a/the party.
>>
>>51706949
>>51706915
Forgot to bring up wolf barbarians again and the fact that prone enemies require you to crossbow within 5ft which means you've lost the benefit of being ranged temporarily.
Also forgot ot mention being in melee giving you potential reaction attacks, though that loses your uncanny dodge. Battlemasters can already grant ranged rogues sneak attacks though and they might not need to uncanny ddoge.

But, for the most part, whoever said 'swashbuckler is great' is wrong, and that's what I'm against. It's good, especially for those who want to play in that way, want to play solo or just don't understand all the AT fuckery. But otherwise, AT is generally better and for non AT non swashbucklers hand crossbows are probably best.
>>
>>51706962
> Hag
That's mostly fey. Unless they are fiends.
> Aberration
That's great old ones.
>>
Are there rules for spell trees?
>>
>>51706929
Pact boons were never the archetype choice, thats patron.
Pact boons just give you last resort melee options, plus some utility, in varying ratios

Expect new PATRONS, pacts are fine.
>>
>>51706929
Woudn't Mystic take 3 make more sense to be released today?
>>
>>51706929
>>51706993
It's Warlock and Wizard. The link is already up, but will give you 403 error atm.
>>
Is it really that easy to sneal attack with the swashbuckler?
Is max cha requirement?
>>
>>51707012
It's easy to sneak attack with any kind of rogue. The class was based around that idea.
>>
>>51706982
In the case of a hag, I feel as though it would be more of a witch, with ritual casting and something similar to a Hag's coven, combine with two friendly characters and all three of you get a short spell list and a few casts.

And maybe with aberrations, but I'd like to see something less "Eldritch Horror that cannot be explained but can only be described as ancient and powerful". Maybe something with eye rays or or psychic powers that are closer to a mind flayer than what the Great Old One currently has.
>>
>>51706961
There's actually firearms right in the 5E DMG, which is why I think most people were surprised at that guy chimping the fuck out about firearms.
>>
>>51706993
it's apatently being released after the wizard.
>>
File: b6daa364bc97fafa9a23e80aef1d65ec.jpg (489KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
b6daa364bc97fafa9a23e80aef1d65ec.jpg
489KB, 1334x750px
>>51706968
It's really not inappropriate. The game is about the struggle of magic trying to reclaim a foothold in a setting where modernity threatens to wipe it out. Not even "magic vs science/technology"- magic is quite literally dying in a world fueled by adventurism.

It's "The Neverending Story" with guns,
>>
>>51706993
the Mystic will be released after the wizard UA.
>>
File: tumblr_oib33mWGXb1uufoudo1_1280.jpg (498KB, 1133x1700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oib33mWGXb1uufoudo1_1280.jpg
498KB, 1133x1700px
>>51707054
Yeah that's where I'm getting the rules from, I was asking if anyone's ever played with those rules though. If it's half-baked, I'd like to know before committing to them.
>>
>>51707085
Naw, they're perfectly fine. Even letting the players throw barrel bombs full of gunpowder is less broken than a Lore Bard is. They're underpowered if anything, since you can't use Smite with them or anything.
>>
>>51707104
I'm legit using that necromancer/alchemist NPC from the other thread to send zombies with bombs in them after PCs. Seems baller as fuck.
>>
File: 1484154555665.jpg (471KB, 2000x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1484154555665.jpg
471KB, 2000x1300px
>>51707104
Good to know, thanks.

Alternatively, one of my players wants to be a gunsmith artificer- so what I could do is just reflavor the existing ranged weapons to be "early" firearms, while her artificer gun is an experimental prototype. It might help satisfy the power fantasy at any rate.
>>
>>51707127
If one of the player wanted to be a Gunsmith Artificer, I'd basically rip off the Eldritch Blast modifying invocations that Warlocks get and place them as keystones every few levels as gun modifications. Can make the gun fire longer, in bursts, different elements, etc.

Would be pretty cool.
>>
In a party with two rogues, a ranger, an artificer, a warlock, and a paladin, where 5 of 6 are high damage long range, what would you throw at them to keep it interesting? Party is level 2, and just took out three ogres and 8 hobgoblins. I'm thinking displaced beasts or quicklings, what would you guys throw at them.
>>
File: tumblr_okv0b8yxvW1r6g7i9o3_1280.png (430KB, 1200x1016px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okv0b8yxvW1r6g7i9o3_1280.png
430KB, 1200x1016px
>>51707153
Oh that's good, I'm totally stealing that. Not a hell of a lot of customization in the Artificer, sad to say, but I think my player will enjoy that a bunch.
>>
>>51707165
Enemies behind cover.
Making them have to come to the enemies rather than the enemies coming to them.
>>
File: 1484594518671.jpg (1MB, 1772x1261px) Image search: [Google]
1484594518671.jpg
1MB, 1772x1261px
>>51707165
I wouldn't look at specific monsters- I'd look at environment. What scenarios can you establish and set up that would put your ranged characters at a significant disadvantage? What kind of ambush monsters could take advantage of their, relatively exposed, backline?
Think about geography, environment, and hazards and you'll be able to come up with some really compelling scenarios.
>>
>>51707165
>6 players
Jesus christ man
>>
Can a friendly anon post a good picture for a Rod of the Vonindod from SKT? My players have one and I'd like to give them a handy card with the abilities and a picture of it
>>
>>51707165
>six man party

I'd kill myself.

There's no way to balance this appropriately. Anything that's strong enough to handle getting lumped on for 6 actions compared to its 1 is either going to one-shot whoever it hits, or be a useless HP sponge.

Too many dudes.
>>
>>51707196
How do you not have it? Are you running the module without the book or something?
>>
>>51707227
He just said he wants a good picture to make a card out of it.

Maybe he doesn't have a scanner, or is interested in ripping a fucking page out of his book.

Nigga just wants a high quality picture.
>>
>>51707165
Try MMO boss mechanic? Boss that spawn mooks (no extra exp) or attack specific areas?
>>
>>51707190
There are 7 in my game where I am a player. And as a DM I run 2 Campaigns of 4 and 3 Players.

7 Person party
>Homebrew Aaracokra Divination Wizard (My character)
>Dwarf Battlemaster
>Tiefling Fiend Chain Lock
>Human Variant GOO Bladelock
>Wood Elf Nature Cleric
>Dwarf Hunter Ranger(Melee oriented)
>Dwarf Moon Druid

>>51707205
This is very true imo. We fought a Drider the other day and it has 3 attacks and took down the Chain-lock with some bow attacks really quickly. Just focused him down. Which made sense because it had a special vendetta with him. But still, the player was upset cause he was basically unconscious for the majority of the battle. Our Cleric sucks, he cast Spare the Dying and didnt heal at all.
>>
>>51707227
>>51707235
I'm pretty sure the book didn't have a picture of it, but I may be wrong. Like the second anon said, I just want a good picture of something that matches its description
>>
>>51707269
>he cast Spare the Dying and didnt heal at all
Bro he's reserving his spell slots bro.

I fucking hate it when people who are bad at casters play casters.
>>
>>51707269
>Playing usual death save rules
>Not using variants like fighting spirit that are 'Well, you won't be unconscious the entire fight, but you'll have to save your ass unless you want to die'.

>>51707165
Have smart enemies. Ranged attacks (Attacks not within 5ft) won't benefit from certain autocrits, will have disadvantage against prone targets and will have -5 to hit past three-thirds cover or -2 to hit past half-cover or past another character/player.
>>
>>51707182
Yeah that seems like a great idea

>>51707185
This works pretty well too, I'm always trying to come up with interesting terrain I should use it to the best advantage.

>>51707190
Yeah I know

>>51707205
I think I should keep in mind what I did last encounter, never one guy, always a bunch. I get through enemy turns pretty quick so as long as I keep to that I'll be fine.

>>51707257
I'll keep that in mind too, I'm already making custom enemies so I might as well try that as well.
>>
>>51707235
>>51707275
I'm not trying to be an ass just genuinely curious. I guess I could get off of my ass and look at the book
>>
>>51707269
I remember you. How's your sad Chain-lock problem going?
>>
>>51707308
I have the book as well as the ripped PDF from the archive. I'm just at work and don't have the hard copy on me, and after checking the PDF the book does not in fact have a picture. It has the description but no image
>>
>>51707269
If he did something actually useful with his slots, that's not a problem.

If he's just using cantrips and not using real spells, there's a problem.
>>
>>51707165
Something they have to "defeat" via non-lethal means. Maybe they have to bind it, maybe shove it underwater since it can't climb back out; but either way damaging it doesn't stop it.
Such a thing doesn't have to be very lethal to the party either, maybe it only has a very basic low damage attack and is easy to dodge/out maneuver entirely; but instead of just blasting it like other encounters, they have to actually think of a plan and try different ideas to immobilize it, otherwise it will just keep on coming at them.
Generally the easiest way to keep things interesting for a party that outright nukes anything you place in front of it is make them have to think for 5 seconds beyond "what will do the most damage to this thing" and have to actually work as a team and do something different.
>>
>>51707353
>>51707287
>>
>>51707336
Yeah I just looked. No pic. I could take a picture of my rod but this is a sfw board
>>
>>51707362
No level specified. Say they're level 5. Casting Spectral Guardians or Blindness/Deafness on round 1 and then fucking shit up with your weapon and cantrips for the rest of the fight is a good use of spells.
>>
>>51707287
All he did the entire time was use his Spiritual Weapon to attack, he didn't even use any other spell slots.

He didn't know at the time that the attack for SW uses a Bonus Action so thats all he did every round.
Afterwards i asked him what spell he was using and looked it up and explained how it properly worked.

Mind you, this is the guy who made a Cleric whose diety is "Mother Earth" but picked Life Domain until about halfway through the session.
>Fighting a Roc
Me
>Hey Cleric-bro, you gonna cast some speak with animals and tell this Roc to bugger off?
Cleric
>I don't have that spell
Me
>You're nature cleric right?
Cleric
>Well my diety is Mother Earth so....
Me
>What is your domain?
Cleric
>Life. It seemed the best fit
Me
>And not the Nature Domain?
Cleric
>There's a nature domain

Head
Desk
Dice everywhere

Seriously needs to be restrictions on players who want to play casters. Need like a session before playing to discuss how things work and do tutorial spellcasting.

>>51707328
He's better, though still a bit salty, he is a newer player so he's still in the "Power Trap" of D&D where he did something super awesome one time and is now trying to force it to happen all the time and gets really salty when it fails or the DM rules on the side of No.
I am seriously thinking of retiring my Wizard to play a Bard or something to play a more supportive role in the party.
Divination Wizard is good, but I only have 2 portent die, i can't help everyone.
>>
>>51707380
The point is that people who don't know how to play casters usually end up either never using them and thus being mostly useless, or else using them completely inefficiently and end up still being mostly useless.
>>
>>51707389
>All he did the entire time was use his Spiritual Weapon to attack, he didn't even use any other spell slots.

This is fine. Healing burns through spell slots too quickly and is inefficient relative to incoming damage.

>He didn't know at the time that the attack for SW uses a Bonus Action so thats all he did every round.

That's a problem. He needs to use Sacred Flame or his weapon too.
>>
>>51707389
I feel you bro.
>>
>>51707401
I was implying in-combat healing is useless 99% of the time bro, chill out
>>
>>51707389
>Need like a session before playing to discuss how things work

That's actually a thing called Session 0. The DM is supposed to run it where the game isn't going to be played but you help them with chargen and explain how stuff works.
>>
>>51707421
Well, you're right. Except for Healing Word.

Because Bonus Action.
>>
>>51707421
chadbrochill
It's only usually useless when people aren't unconscious.
The minute anyone's hp drops to 0, it becomes incredibly highly valuable.
>>
>>51707434
And that's only good if it will bring someone back into the fight. If Numbnuts McFighter is at 20 HP out of 45 or whatever, it's a waste of a slot.
>>
>>51707413
How do I, as a player, help resolve this issue?
>>
>>51707449
Make sure he learns something every session, soon enough he will become self aware and figure out all these amazing things. Just don't be too annoying about it.
>>
>>51707449
You can't force him to do research on optimal uses of spells and run thought experiments for when a spell is useful or what spells might be a good idea to prepare for the day.

You can, however, always *talk* about spells that the other person has and say things like "x spell is so great in z situation - it does a whole lot of y". Which is what I always do, because treating someone like a babby spellcaster (even if they might actually be one) sometimes comes across as overbearing, while dropping hints about spells being good generally doesn't.
>>
File: 40035.jpg (309KB, 452x1329px) Image search: [Google]
40035.jpg
309KB, 452x1329px
>>51707336
Maybe?
>>
>>51707447
Well, yeah. It's not to be used as generic healing, but as an "oh shit" button, since 5E doesn't have negative HP, it's hilariously strong.
>>
Did any older editions have lower level versions of Symbol or something similar to it? I need to come up with some powers/spells with a writing/drawing theme.
>>
>>51707480
>>51707471
I sent him an email with a website that he can use to print out his spells on paper, and i told him it would be easier than having to flip through the book everytime he's looking for a spell to cast.

Maybe making his information more readily available will make him more active. Character Sheets are really poorly equipped for all the info casters need.
>>
>>51707524
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm
>>
>>51707533
That's an option on Glyph of Warding in 5e.
>>
>>51707486
It's close, but the prongs are throwing me off. I was envisioning a solid rod of blue steel-esque metal
>>
File: ice staff.jpg (25KB, 992x806px) Image search: [Google]
ice staff.jpg
25KB, 992x806px
>>51707553
>>
>>51707553
As per the book description it has two prongs on one end and a molded handle on the other. Made me think of a mancatcher so I just googled that
>>
>>51707564
Almost there

>>51707598
Oh, I must be retarded then. Thank you!
>>
>>51707621
>>51707553
It's like a dowsing rod, right?
The way it's used, at least
>>
>>51707533
That's useful

Anything else with a writing/drawing theme that's not already in 5e? I tried looking at the 4e stuff for the Mark of Scribing but they decided that something called "Scribing" should be about talking.
>>
>>51707636
No it's used like one would hold a magic wand. It's sized for a giant, so it's about big enough to be that sized
>>
>>51707660
>I tried looking at the 4e stuff for the Mark of Scribing but they decided that something called "Scribing" should be about talking.

That's an Eberron thing, the Mark gives them the ability of long distance communication.
>>
>>51707677
The 3.5 stuff had more written communication in it. Don't know why 4e went for that truenaming stuff on the paragon class.
>>
>playing Artificer Wizard because I eventually want to make cool magic stuff for the party
>check over Master Artificer again
>only able to make A and B table stuff, half of which I'm already able to do anyway just with class features and the rest of which I'm not terribly interested in
fug
>>
>>51707872
> Artificer wizard
You had it coming
>>
>>51707882
>making cool magic stuff for the party is bad somehow
Yeah okay, sure.
>>
>>51707872
The only thing that archetype is good for is mass producing rank 3 healing potions.
And even then - even WITH the alchemist feat from the feats UA - it's still way worse than a lore bard who takes aura of vitality.
>>
Re: oil vs Alchemist's Fire in the last thread, I mentioned my backtracking to the DM and she said she was going to make oil the same price as Alchemist's Fire because she already likes the idea of me trying to earn 16,000gp to get it.

I wonder what that'll do for the local economy.
>>
>>51707872
WotC is terrified of PCs being able to create items in this version.

Making your own platemail takes like 300 days and all kinds of gold. It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>51707958
It's faster to be a Wizard to level up to 7 (less than in-game week) and then cast fabricate than actually making a platemail
>>
File: 16916.jpg (317KB, 567x763px) Image search: [Google]
16916.jpg
317KB, 567x763px
>>51706968
How does it feel to be objectively wrong?
>>
>>51707950
Congratulations - nobody who isn't magic or ultra rich can now see further than 10-feet in the dark without dark vision, since all they have is fucking candles.
>>
>>51707981
The rate at which leveling happens is way too fast in general (also less than a week is overstating it), and fabricate staying on the spell list, at such a low level was really dumb of the devs.

>>51707958
I'd be okay with the realism of it if it wasn't for wizards getting an out with fabricate. They should just have made it not interact with tool proficiency at all.
>>
>>51707950
Your dm is a moron. Oil is incredibly easy to make and harvest. People used fish oil, whale fat, olive oil, linseed oil, etc etc etc to light shit up.
>>
>>51708024
>>51707981

Can you guys explain why you think leveling is to quick? I only play once a month, so it doesn't feel quick for me. lol.
>>
>>51708042
To be fair, if PCs stroll into a town and want to buy like a thousand barrels of oil, I don't know if the local economy can PROVIDE that much oil on demand quickly.

But I agree, I'd sooner derail the whole campaign and get some druids to start shapeshifting into whales and cutting chunks of themselves off, and then being set back to normal HP when they shift back, and use the chunks to make oil and become my own oil baron.

Then I'd make a barrel bomb factory just to piss that other autist from the last thread off.

He was worried about free gunpowder, but he should have been worried about infinite druid oils.
>>
>>51708024
>>51708046
The whole event in LMoP happen in like a week span. That can get you from level 1 to 5.
>>
>>51707993
>>51708042
>try to be neutral evil
>just want to blow up some buildings
>prompt the DM to vastly raise the global price of oil
>cause far more evil by economics than I can by explosions
>>
>>51707389

Life is a fine domain for a nature diety

Also, a Roc is a monstrosity. Speak with Animals would not affect it
>>
>>51707872
Hey, at least you get to choose from the tables.
The UA artificers don't even have that.
>>
>>51708067
I can agree with 1-4 being a quick progression because classes only really come online at specialization (and first feat is a good spot to significantly slow down progression, plus it seems like most NPC templates are more or less weak versions of level 3-4 characters)

I feel like each level above 4 should almost feel like getting the previous levels combined if not more.
>>
>>51708086
>try to be Lawful Good
>just want to give my gold to the peasants
>oversaturate their small local market, driving the value of gold down to almost nothing
>people are trading sacks of gold for loaves of bread
>hyperinflation kicks in and the people start to starve
>accidentally recreate the conditions of the Weimar Republic, allowing a higher Cha commoner than the rest to be granted special permissionary powers by the local government
>he annexes the nearest township
>rapid militarization occurs to match his philosophy that the town requires lebensraum for growth
>suddenly gnomes are being genocided

UH
>>
>>51708091
My DM specifically told me that he put the Roc there for the Nature Cleric to talk to via Speak with Animals. We aren't super strict with the rules, which kinda bugs me, but i can get over it.

The Cleric actually wanted to play a domain closer to nature and animals and druid stuff. He just didn't read past Life Cleric.
>>
File: 1480867029520.jpg (19KB, 364x210px) Image search: [Google]
1480867029520.jpg
19KB, 364x210px
>>51708157
>He just didn't read past Life Cleric
>>
File: 1483955756773.png (39KB, 333x269px) Image search: [Google]
1483955756773.png
39KB, 333x269px
>>51707950
>A barrel of oil costs five times as much as a suit of plate armour
>>
>>51708185
cause he's a scrub. We were scheduled to play from Noon-6

Everyone got to the DMs place and we shot the shit for a bit and didn't start till 1pm, which is fine.

Around 5pm i notice the cleric is just sitting there on his phone
>Yea i attack with spiritual weapon
>roll roll
>says damage
>thats my turn

I ask him if he's bored.
>Nah, i'm just spent. I was done like 2 hours ago.

Checks out after 2 hours of play when we specifically said "we're planning on playing for ~6 hours.
>>
>>51708222
>>51707993
>>51708042
Yeah, my DM has a penchant for doing random stuff for her own entertainment.

>randomly spawns dragons that swoop down and instakill members of the party if they do something like trying to burn down the forest with her favourite city in
>banned having multiple unseen servants because she didn't like the player using them all
>randomly added a ban on music in an area of the world mid-game to piss off the bard

I knew once I realised oil would be cheaper than AlchFire that she wouldn't let me get away with it, that there'd be some reason I couldn't get around it. It's the way she operates.
>>
So I'm thinking of doing a timed dungeon crawl for my players.

Only it's honey-I-shrunk-the-kids style. A gnome enlists them to delve into a dungeon for him and eradicate whatever is spawning these nightmarish creatures.

The creatures are ants and he wants them to be pest control. Find the queen, and take her out. While also poisoning their food supply.

They're gonna be shrunk down to the size of ants themselves, naturally. And the potion that shrunk them will have a duration of 5 hours.

One of the party members can communicate simply with small beasts, which I think will be helpful as he translates for them if they need to.

All of their magic and weapon attacks will be "to scale" as it will take more than just 1 point of damage to kill an ant while this size.

The boss of course will be in the throne room of the queen, who has managed to procure an ioun stone of intellect which will explain why they've so far been outsmarting the gnome who has been trying to exterminate them for month after he caught them eating his crackers.

Thoughts for some interesting challenges in this ant hill dungeon? Thinking of looking to some mindflayer dungeons for inspiration as well.
>>
>>51708330
Your party might need a new DM

and you are the DM your party needs.
>>
>>51708330
I couldn't play in a game with a DM like that.
I've done it before and it's not worth it.
It's far more annoying and tedious than it's worth.
>>
>>51706968
Stop being an ass.
>>
>>51708352
>>51708347
I'd happily DM, I've got half a campaign written. But I'm new to 5e and we've only done about 6 sessions of the campaign. Plus, it's a meetup group with different DMs on different tables, I'd have to kick up a load of drama to change things or even move table, and I don't really want to lose my only D&D fix.

It's sort of a game of playing the DM to play the game. We do have fun, it's just easy to bump into the invisible walls at the edge of the game.
>>
>>51708330
>>randomly added a ban on music in an area of the world mid-game to piss off the bard
ngl, I've had at least a few cultures with bans on music (the place was mostly meant to be fantasy Sparta, and a major slave rebellion had been organized under the government's nose purely through songs just the year before)
>>
File: 1468455668364.jpg (36KB, 492x625px) Image search: [Google]
1468455668364.jpg
36KB, 492x625px
>>51708375
Stop playing games.
>>
File: many things erase.png (397KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
many things erase.png
397KB, 600x508px
>>51708330
>DMs who can't take their own world seriously and create meme-tier games.
>>
Playing a wuxia style campaign, playing a ghost wise halfling monk, but stuck on which archetype to pick for 3. It's gonna be either Open Hand or Sun soul.

Open hand for Bruce lee King Fu superiority or Sun Soul for Dragon Ball Z power fantasy. Which should I go for I'm on the fence right now.
>>
When do they post the UA? Is there a set time or just "during the day"?
>>
>>51708431
What about shadow?
>>
>>51708431
Depends on what level you're doing to if you're on the margin and they're currently equal.
Open Hand is better, but it's not that much better at low and mid levels.
>>
File: 1415116373330.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1415116373330.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>51708397
Stop living.
>>
>>51708453
I already played shadow and I know the grind it takes to get to level 6 and really start having fun.
>>
File: 1468456202900.jpg (31KB, 385x266px) Image search: [Google]
1468456202900.jpg
31KB, 385x266px
>>51708459
Stop being poor.
>>
>>51708457
Could last a while, last campaign I played with him I went from session 1 level 1 to level 20 with a boon, so could be going the same way.

And I always wanted to five finger death punch something.
>>
>>51708476
The 17th level feature is actually absurd for Open Hand.
>>
File: 1413388484839.jpg (12KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
1413388484839.jpg
12KB, 182x277px
>>51708470
Stop breathing here.
>>
>>51708397
You can't just post a smug anime girl. There's supposed to be a huge zoom on the face.
>>
>>51708334
this is good shit my dog. best idea is go space hulk: one ant sees you they all see you
>>
>>51708515
>here
>missing the meme
it's ogre
>>
File: 1415129610390.png (537KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1415129610390.png
537KB, 1280x720px
>>51708574
Shit! I fucked up.
>>
Are there any rules regarding intimidating people during combat?
>>
>>51708694
none. all is depending on DM
>>
>>51708694
Not for just an intimidate check no. DM makes the rules for that.
>>
>>51708694
Like One Piece's Haki?
>>
>>51708393
It was while we'd been in the area a while, though. I made a joke about it being banned and she thought it was hilarious and made it canon, forcing the bard to switch instruments.
>>
>>51708694
If you're lucky your DM isn't a stuck-up bitch and many monsters have a sense of self-preservation and might actually decide to flee from combat if you scare them. Or might not even engage in combat in the first place.

98% of most common monsters in campaigns seem to have deathwishes.
>>
>>51708694
I mean, if the DM lets a player successfully intimidate an NPC, the NPC should probably become Frightened until determined otherwise.

That said, it should be a reward for successfully roll-playing an in-character action that would result in the appropriate effect, not just a dice roll.
>>
>>51707899
>Potions of Growth.
>>
>>51707899
> He doesn't know that magical scroll doesn't cost component when cast or create

FREE SIMULACRUM
>>
>>51707004
Fuck, it's true.
>>
Any advice for Cleric/Rogue multiclassing, with the Trickery domain? Kinda stuck on which archetype to use for the rogue parts.
>>
File: quarterstaff.jpg (141KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
quarterstaff.jpg
141KB, 1440x810px
I'm going to be playing a Bugbear PAM (Quarterstaff + Shield) Treachery Paladin. I'm trying to find some flavor for assassinating people with a wooden pole.
>>
Does a half-elf and human coupling still produce half-elf race? Will the bloodline be diluted that they'll just be human?
>>
>>51709015
It entirely depends on the DM, I'm not even sure there's actual rulings about quadroons.

FWIW I tend to use half-elf for technically less than half most of the time.
>>
>>51709015
Did you not learn about punning squares? Statistically if the couple had four kids they would make 2 humans and 2 half elves.

This may be an oversimplification but I would rule that.
>>
>>51709006
Very precise and powerful strikes to the bass of the neck, or the throat.

Or you could use the staff as a fulcrum to break a femur. Breaking that bone is painful as fuck and more than enough put someone out of the fight, or kill them if the femoral artery is cut.
>>
>>51709003
Arcane trickster for maximum trickery.
>>
>>51709015
I seem to recall something about half-elves producing humans when they mate with humans and elves when they mate with elves.

Or they're all sterile
>>
>>51708914
Sorry to break this to you senpai...
>>
>>51709055
How important is INT to an Arcane Trickster? As I've got Wisdom and Dex and Con to watch as well.
>>
>>51709015
Quarter elves.
>>
Can anyone help me with an awful experiment?

As per earlier in the thread, I'm looking to blow up some buildings, but the DM is charging about 8k gp per barrel of either alchemist's fire or oil, the latter because she wants to see me earn that much.

Considering I've got about 1400 GP after 6 sessions, that could take a while, so I'm considering my options.

Dust explosions can be caused with simple flour (inexpensive) and fire, and cause just as much damage.

However, I need a way of dispersing the flour inside a building in the right manner to create conditions for a large explosion. Then I need some means of ignition.

Given a low level warlock build, what can I create?
>>
>>51709006
Go for the eyes, throat, back of the neck, precise skull strikes, stuff like that.
>>
It's out

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>>
UA here
>>
It's a
>uhhh you're a warlock but you get medium armour and shield proficiency I guess knock yourself out
Episode.
>>
>>51709015
Arent Half-elf like mules in the sencen that they are steril hybrids?
>>
>>51706961

If your pic related is in the game, count me in anon
>>
>>51709111
Yeah on second thought that sounds like a pain in the ass to put up with.
>>
>>51709003
>>51709055
I agree, your duplicate plus mage hand will allow for maximum trickery, though your skills will now be spread out to wisdom Dex and Intelligenxe so choose spells and ability scores wisely.
>>
>>51709106
Read the Artificer infuse scroll ability! Yoy only need parchment,quill and ink to create spell scroll.

Spell scroll rule said
> you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material components.

It's Free! Free!
>>
>>51709142
Considering the Paladin UA was all edgester/evil oaths, I am disappointed there are no Lawful Good/goody-two-shoes patrons in this UA.
>>
I need an app for making maps, doing it in Roll20 isn't cutting it anymore. I don't know Illustrator and don't want to pay for it, and none of the apps I can find seem to work on modern machines (RIP Dundjinni). Is there a hidden one I'm missing?
>>
File: kookooforkenkustuff.jpg (7KB, 180x280px) Image search: [Google]
kookooforkenkustuff.jpg
7KB, 180x280px
>>51709003
Just choose whatever seems like it would give you maximum shenanigans with your multiclass, which probably means AT for invisible mage hand or Thief for throwing wacky items at bonus action speed.

also
>not being Knowledge Domain/Rogue to plan elaborate heists
>not being Knowledge Domain/Rogue to get extra expertise in some swanky shit like Arcana or History
>not being Knowledge Domain/Rogue to grab a skill or tool prof which is useful in a specific heist

Knowledge Domain/Rogue has been a character I've wanted to try for a while, but I can't judge you for wanting Trickery for stuff like Invoked Duplicity
>>
>>51709114
Just get a wand of fireball, it's cheaper for the same effect.
>>
>>51709149
Praise be! Bladelock is fixed!
>>
>>51709142
>>51709149
>bladelock is finally good

Praise be to the wizards!
>>
>>51709149
Why the fuck is spell secrets a WIZARD thing?

It should be for sorcerers
>>
>>51709149
>Int saving throw Fireballs vs retarded wolves
I like it.
>>
File: tNvlkb0.jpg (275KB, 1160x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tNvlkb0.jpg
275KB, 1160x1600px
>>51709015

Punnett Squares? Or go full Spanish, your call.
>>
>>51709149
>No The Undying patron innvocations
Of course, I was too hopeful.

>The Seeker hinted at
Interested to see what this Patron will be.
>>
>>51709292
>hinted at
nigga it's been out for months, check the UA non-divine faithful.
>>
I want to make my "go-to" low level enemies cultists of Elemental Evil. Instead of orcs raiding villages, it's Eternal Flame motherfuckers razing villages. The workaholic kobolds accidentally creating sinkholes under the village? Black Earth morons trying to construct an underground temple.

Cultists are almost universally green practicioners of the occult, who often think they've stumbled on some "new" form of nature worship or an "undiscovered" source of magic.

But would it be possible for Elemental Evil cultists to naively stumble upon a seemingly great thing that slowly corrupts them, and at the same time the general populace know "We're having a lot of windstorms, we should check and see if any idiots have started worshipping the Howling Hatred?"
>>
>>51709149
>Tomb of Levistus
I always knew there was something demonic about that bitch Mei.
>>
File: 38520936_p0.jpg (66KB, 400x560px) Image search: [Google]
38520936_p0.jpg
66KB, 400x560px
My character is a lvl 7 ranged battlemaster

earlier in our adventure I was possessed by the spirit of an ancient wizard. Overtime though we have been merging our consciousness and now I have an Int of 20 and can cast blur and disintegrate once a day now.

I was thinking about multiclassing into wizard because it seems thematic, but would it be worth it? It seems like I am far too into fighter now and I just just stick with that.

is there any way to take advantage of my maxed Int?
>>
>>51709251
>>51709264
It really isn't, but don't let that stop you from rejoicing.
>>
>>51709305
Well, wtf then? Why nothing for The Undying?
>>
>>51709149
Holy shit, Bladelocks don't totally suck anymore!

And they even made a Bowlock Invocation!
>>
>>51709334
How do you figure?
>>
>>51709114
A Wind Fan can cast Gust of Wind, which could send the flour everywhere if you angle it right.
>>
>>51709334
>Hexblade makes it work off CHA
>Invocations let it scale
>>
DAILY REMINDER DO NOT FUCKING MULTICLASS THE UA CONTENT

IT WILL BE BROKEN AS FUCK

>Paladins take a level dip for hex curse and no longer needing strength for quarterstaff+shield instead of needing 3 levels for shillelagh
>FighterSorlocks getting +CHA to a single target for damage, dealing up to 12d10+60+60 damage from action surge + bonus action eldritch blast +eldritch blast
>>
> Lore wizard with Charisma save force ball
What...
>>
>>51709149
Why the hell does curse bringer make a greatsword when greatswords are incompatible with the hex warrior feature?
>>
>>51709393
>>51709381
Eldritch Blast is still better.

I'm also still reading invocations so I'm making a prediction about it.
>>
File: 1483622796772.jpg (25KB, 320x405px) Image search: [Google]
1483622796772.jpg
25KB, 320x405px
Our barbarian inadvertently entered into a contract with a devil, whereby he must either bring him a certain magical sword or burn in hell upon his death. I'm a cleric and I care about my friend and the eternal fate of his soul. The sword is terribly powerful and the devil's masters are ancient plague cultists who happen to be my sworn enemy and the nominal BBEGs.

Literally wat do?
>>
>>51709467
Kill the devil
>>
>>51709149
These Warlock patrons are stupid but there's an interesting generic Shadowfell patron in there somewhere.
>>
>>51709436
Eldritch Blast is boring.
>>
>Those Angharradh/Sehanine invocations
Now I'm going to be torn between Ranger and this...
>>
>>51709149
Why do wizards get such a strong archetype, but the sorcerer and monk archetypes are so shit?
>>
Magical Girl Archfey warlock with Moon Bow? That ranged smite is so goooddd..
>>
>>51709467
Looks like you have a reason to fight against the devil now.
>>
>>51709467
Find a way to take the curse on yourself.
Die.
Hope your god is willing to arm-wrestle for your soul.
Hope real, real hard that they win.
>>
>>51709478
Defeating them in the prime material only sends them back to Baetor for a hundred years. The only way to truly kill them (and nullify the contract) would be to do so while they're in their home plane. And we're 6th-level.
>>
>>51709488
>You get a +2 sword.
So exciting.
>>
>>51709505
Because the company is not called "Sorcerers of the Coast". Also, sea sorcerers are seriously strong.
>>
>>51709182
You need to cast the spell to make the scroll senpai...
>>
>>51709522
Better hurry up and get those levels, then.
>>
>>51709528
The patron-specific options are interesting.

But generally the whole UA means you can match the damage of EB with straight Bladelock, and there are options for those who want to do it from the outset without sacrificing spellpower.
>>
>Arcane Tradition
2e Ravenloft's Arcanist!
>>
>>51706968
Varg?
>stop maturbating
>>
>>51709467
>ancient plague cultists
I read that as "ancient plaque cultists". Since my brother is a Dentist I guess that makes him a cleric of dental hygiene.
>>
File: Vicar of the Cosmos.png (993KB, 1358x844px) Image search: [Google]
Vicar of the Cosmos.png
993KB, 1358x844px
>Fighter 2 SeaSorc 2 Goolock X
>Repelling Blast
>Grasp of Hadar
>push melee enemies
>pull spellcasters
>become the living tool of battlefield control
I told you bro
I told you about the cthulhu knight
>>
File: sandstorm.jpg (35KB, 319x205px) Image search: [Google]
sandstorm.jpg
35KB, 319x205px
So, the party is tracking a group of bad guys through the desert. Since they have a revised ranger with them, "Your group can't become lost except by magical means." Then a sandstorm hits, erasing most of the tracks they were following. Does that mean they become lost? Or just that they temporarily lost the tracks? How does the ranger help them in that situation?

Also, what can I do to my party in a sandstorm? Looking in the DMG, all it says is disadvantage on Perception checks, but that's pretty underwhelming.
>>
>>51709467
Plenty of peeps had good suggestions already, but here's mine:
Find lawful ally. Lawful good or lawful neutral preferably. High intelligence and charisma. Have them find loophole in the deal. If the barbarian is dumb that should not be too hard.
Take devil to court if need be.
>>
File: Abuelita.jpg (38KB, 320x296px) Image search: [Google]
Abuelita.jpg
38KB, 320x296px
>>51709590
You're only limited by your imagination, sempai. You're the DM, right? What do you think happens during a Sandstorm? What do you think happens to PEOPLE stuck in a sandstorm? What kind of situations arise from it?
Perhaps the sand is too much and they have to try to find some cover or get buried in sand? If there is someone who is of Small size, they might get blown away?
The sky's the limit. Just believe in your own imagination.
>>
>>51709590
I would rule that a massive sandstorm would be an exigent circumstance. It's not simply "you're tracking orcs through the forest and it starts raining", it's "the entire environment is changing around you". I would have the ranger roll a survival check, and based on how well they roll is how long it takes for them to find the tracks again. Or maybe they find the tracks but they disappear. Or you could go full Diablo III and have a rehash of footsteps in the sand, but then your players would murder you
>>
>>51709149
Hexblade's Curse is clearly supposed to be a replacement for Hex, but nothing stops you from using both if you really want to tear into someone.
>>
>>51709590
They will know where they are in relation to whatever towns they've been to, but they will no longer know where the bad guys are
>>
>>51709590
I wouldn't really consider that "becoming lost"
becoming lost would be not knowing how to get out of the desert, or where in the desert they are.
What's happening is losing track of who they're tracking, which is totally possible.
>>
>>51709149
>when attacking with a melee weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property

So it's totally cool to use Charisma for two-handing a longsword, but greatswords don't qualify. Interesting.
>>
>>51709590
Make it a magic sandstorm.
>>
>>51709424
>a glittering sphere of raw magical power appears in the target zone, and damages those who lack the force of spirit to resist its power

Sounds dope 2bh
>>
>>51709676
Doesn't work with great weapon master I guess.
>>
>>51709436
So the new count is Thirsting Blade, Magic Weapon, Lifedrinker, and your patron's flavor of Smite. This gets you 4d6+Str*2+Cha*2+6 (40) average damage with 20 Str and Cha using a greatsword as an example. Accounting Hex and average accuracy, that's 38.65 damage for the greatsword or 38.2 damage for EB. That's good enough, I suppose.

Now if you're a Hexblade (the patron that gets a greatsword for their smiting weapon) then you can instead curse the enemy and deal 42.3 with the greatsword or 44 with EB, so that's... something? You can smite for a bunch of D8s, after all.

>>51709557
>The patron-specific options are interesting.
Most of the patron-specific options are interesting. I do like the smite options to spend those extra high level spell slots, but it's a shame some of the weapons those are linked to suck.

>you can match the damage of EB with straight Bladelock
You could always do that up to level 10. You could even manage it up to level 16 with some builds, I hear. You still might not do it at level 17. Looking at preliminary numbers, it's solid, really. If you had a Rod of the Oath Keeper+3 you should use that instead.
>>
>>51709149
Why are all of the UA arcane traditions so broken?
>>
>>51709590
there are air and earth elementals hiding in the sandstorm
>>
>>51709590
There are rules about getting lost in the DMG. It has nothing to do with following tracks.
>>
>>51709655
They both take a bonus action, but if the enemy lives that long, dig in. The real thing stopping you is that you could instead cast fireball as a bonus action or smite the fuck out of the bitch.
>>
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHY DO THEY HAVE SUCH A HARD-ON FOR WIZARDS SO FUCKING MUCH
>>
>>51709590
The ranger knows exactly where he is. He does not know exactly where his enemies are. If they're out of range of his ranger radar, he's SOL. If he has to, though, he can still find his way back home or to the nearest settlement he knows of.
>>
>>51709467
Don't die. Ever.
>>
>>51709741
> Wizards of the Coast
Hm-m-m-m... Really takes your noggin jogging, doesn't it.
>>
they must want monte cook back
>>
>>51709767
look at sorcerers
now back to wizards
now look at sorcerers again
back to wizards

SOMETHING IS WRONG
>>
>>51706929
>Hexblade

Are you a Wizard, OP?
>>
File: straid.png (25KB, 250x265px) Image search: [Google]
straid.png
25KB, 250x265px
>>51709741
Spellcasting aint free. The of OP features and cheese has to be littered with the blood of martials. Mike Mearls aka (((((the Sage))))) is not my DM and probably gay as well :DD. It's WIZARDS of the Coast not fighters that can BOAST ok.
Praise Vecna
>>
File: 1468395072239.jpg (182KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468395072239.jpg
182KB, 800x480px
>Warlock's smite is 2d8 per slot level instead of 2d8+1d8 per slot level above 1st
None of the Warlock smites with with PAM, or Crossbow Expert, and you can only pact one weapon at a time so you can't dual wield smite with two summoned reach-flails.
I'm not sure if I'd want to be a Warlock, a Paladin, or some multiclass, and what levels is mutliclassing viable instead of harmful.
>>
Just finished the UA, and Loremasters. Just Loremasters. There is going to be so much joy, salt, and raw butthurt about this tradition. I almost regret that I have to wait until tonight to wade into all of it.
>>
>>51709789
Considering that Hexblade was a class in both 3.5 and 4th edition, and was specifically a subtype of Warlocks in 4e, it's not that surprising.
>>
>>51709784
Honestly I'm kind of tempted to just give all the Lore Wizard class features to sorc.
>>
>>51709823
The smites go up to 10d8 with a 5th level slot though, instead of maxing at 5d8. It's a shame the weapons themselves sometimes suck though.
>>
>>51709824
As overpowered as it might be at first sight, I feel that things like Arcane and Bladesinger make better bases for traditions than school specialists.
>>
>>51709831
Ya know... barring Lore Master I actually don't think that's a bad idea...
>>
>>51709851
I'm not sure it's overpowered, but it shits all over sorcerers, doesn't it? Like directly on them.
>>
>>51709637
>>51709638
Thanks anons. I'll see what I can come up with.

>>51709656
>>51709657
>>51709709
>>51709742
Yeah, that makes sense. And there's the matter of Primeval Awareness. Since he chose humanoids the radar is not as useful, as many groups might show up.

>>51709679
Heh

>>51709707
Hm... Actually, I think I'll use Giant Scorpions and those scorpion folk from Volo's. That blindsight will surely come handy in a sandstorm.
>>
>>51709789
no he's a warlock
>>
>Lore Master

Welp, time to work on making the best skill monkey possible.
>>
>>51709871
>Wizards didn't already shit all over sorcerers

They just owned up that sorcerers fucking suck and should be a wizard archetype.

There were too many cha casters anyway.
>>
>1 MILE MISTY STEP
>2D10 ADDITIONAL FORCE TO EVERY MAGIC MISSILE TARGET
>16+PROFICIENCY FOR A SAVE, AND IT CAN BE ANY KIND
>FUCKING STRENGTH SAVE FOR HOLD PERSON
>>
>>51709831
Exactly what I was thinking. Sorcerers deserve those features.
>>
>>51709914
The magic missile one isn't even that impressive compared to nuclear druids.
>>
>>51709831
I'd gladly give spell secrets and alchemical casting to them, no questions asked.
>>
File: 1479928004699.png (300KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1479928004699.png
300KB, 400x400px
>>51709914
>1 mile misty step
>>
>>51709436
>Eldritch Blast is still better
If it ever stops being better then there is a problem. Eldritch Blasting every turn is better dps than almost anything
>>
>>51709934
Nuclear druid can't do it at level 6, can they? 1d4+2d10 force damage to 5 different targets.
Shit, wizard has better metamagic than fucking sorcerer what the fuck.
>>
>>51709954
>>51709914
Misty step range is self.
>>
Can familiars use the Help action outside of combat to give advantage on stuff like Arcana checks and all that?
>>
File: 1486909888992.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1486909888992.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>>51709914
>There's no reason not to be a wizard anymore.

>>51709934
Nuclear druid either needs the DM to drop you magic missile wands or to allow UA multiclassing, though. Fuck UA multiclassing.
>>
>>51709831

I was thinking this too. BECOME THE AVATAR.
>>
File: ())))).jpg (20KB, 218x245px) Image search: [Google]
())))).jpg
20KB, 218x245px
>>51709914
>1 MILE MISTY STEP
>>
>>51709871
To be fair, Keen Mind already kind of did that by making spellbooks more or less irrelevant.

I'm actually hopeful that a toned down arcanist comes out at some point (hopefully along with a Ravenloft setting primer that isn't just a vehicle for CoS; could be paired with Monster Hunter and a bunch of other archetypes from UA really easily)
>>
>>51709979
>There's no reason not to be a wizard anymore.
But I prefer having sex
>>
>>51709149
Jeez, why a flail for GOOlock though? Doesn't help my rogue multiclass AT ALL. Would cut someone's balls off for a short sword.
>>
>>51709971
Why would you use it on magic missile instead of a Force fireball?
>>
File: ive had enough.png (768KB, 586x795px) Image search: [Google]
ive had enough.png
768KB, 586x795px
>>51709914
Martials on suicide watch!
>>
>>51709907
Its pretty obvious they want sorcerers to actually be gishes but nobody else wants them to so they fit in poorly in both slots.
>>
>>51710014
You can get a longbow for archfey, otherwise all other weapons use Str. Seekers don't even have one.
>>
>>51706929
I watched Justice League Dark the other day, and it inspired in me the idea of a Warlock who won power from a demon in a game of cards. But I was looking through the backgrounds, and I can't seem to find the sort of "con artist" background right for this sort of character. Charlatan doesn't even come with proficiency in any sort of gaming set.
>>
>>51710011
>Not casting illusions on yourself to simulate it

>>51710019
In theory the magic missile could hit the same target over and over, stacking up a multiple of the one 2d10 roll
>>
>>51709971
>Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid 5
>3rd slot level magic missile
>expend 2d10 from Harvest Scythe

Admittedly, the extra damage is necrotic and not force, but you can pump more d10s into it as you level up, and it doesn't cost you extra spell slots.
>>
>>51710027
>gish with no armor, no weapon, and no hp.
>>
>>51709942
Prodigious Memory wouldn't really work given how they cast spells, but I think Master Of Magic would be fine as well.
>>
>>51710027
The original 5e version of sorc was a gish, then they decided to fag the whole thing up.
>>
>>51710053
You want Criminal.
>>
>>51710019
Magic Missile can focus all damage on a single target and doesn't miss, bar Shield spells.

>>51710092
Not to mention that 2 origins give both extra hp and essentially permanent Mage Armor.
>>
Can green flame blade be twinned? Or does the chaining damage count as a second target?
>>
>>51710071
I don't think the RAW for this ability read that way.

It work for Twilight Druid because Harvest's scythe apply to the damage roll directly.

Alchemical Casting is applying to the target. One target, one damage increase.
>>
File: WHAT THE FUCK AM I CASTING.png (976KB, 578x615px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT THE FUCK AM I CASTING.png
976KB, 578x615px
QUICK fellow wizards.
Pick a spell from your spell list and warp it as much as possible using Lore Mastery features. Something like a mile-long tidal wave that deals radiant damage and has a Charisma DC.
>>
>>51710101
I think you're right. If I need to customize something, it's easier to swap out stealth for sleight of hand than rework so much in the charlatan background.
>>
File: Insidious_Parasite_(large).jpg (23KB, 248x248px) Image search: [Google]
Insidious_Parasite_(large).jpg
23KB, 248x248px
>>51709149
>they actually fixed bladelock
>all those invocations
>mfw

That arcane tradition is fucking insane though, holy shit. What were they thinking?
>>
>>51710129
sorry friendo. You can only expend ONE additional extra spell slot.
>>
Women should not DM. At all. They just come up with literally any excuse to get out of doing something so that we never get to play.

Fucking hell.
>>
This hexblade is a WoW Death Knight, right?
>>
>>51710138
>That arcane tradition is fucking insane though, holy shit. What were they thinking?
They were thinking we'd tell them every way in which it's broken so they don't have to. Otherwise the distance on spells would probably just double like the sorcerer's metamagic. One mile is ridiculous.
>>
>>51710182
>medium armor
>shields
>no fighting style

Nah
>>
>>51710044
Ugh, yeah. I know. It's probably as something for straight bladelocks who rely on CHA for everything, but I love the GOO flavour and hate missing out on it.
>>
File: SWEATING INTENSIFIES.gif (471KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
SWEATING INTENSIFIES.gif
471KB, 300x300px
>>51709149
oh bby
>>
File: magicka_01.jpg (425KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
magicka_01.jpg
425KB, 1600x1000px
>Artificer Wizard as a healslut
>Necro for crowd control
>Lore Mastery as a jack of all trades and the party leader
>Divination as a secondary support
>Bladesinger as a melee DPS
>Abjurer Dorf for a tank
Why aren't you playing an all wizard party, /5eg/?
>>
>>51710053
>Charlatan doesn't even come with proficiency in any sort of gaming set.
Marked cards and weighted dice not doing it for you? You've got proficiency in sleight of hand and a rigged game right there.
>>
>>51709149
Am I the only one who thinks that the Hexblade and the Wizard look totally overpowered?

Hexblade gets Paladin spells on short rests and even if you don't go into melee you get features that are way better for any kind of Warlock. Other warlocks just have some neat little things that help them out, while Hexblade gets really powerful features, just compare them to the Great Old One warlocks.

The Lore Master is just fucking overloaded at levels 2 and 6. You can make every spell deal force damage and changing the saving throw should be long rests, you should not be able to make enemies pretty much guaranteed to fail a saving throw so early in the game.
>>
>>51710214
Theurge is better as a healer.
>>
>>51710112
>Can green flame blade be twinned? Or does the chaining damage count as a second target?

It can't be chained.
>>
>>51710079
Wizards wants them to be gishes
People wanted their 3.5 style metamagics
Wizards decided to try and compromise and now nobody is happy since its just a weaker wizard.
>>
>>51710230
hexblade is the only patron that doesn't get "totally not divine smite" option though.

archfey let you divine smite with ranged weapon now. it's great if you want to be a magical girl
>>
File: 1423075782455.jpg (37KB, 500x822px) Image search: [Google]
1423075782455.jpg
37KB, 500x822px
Race/class?
>>
>>51710248
hexblade gets cursebringer man. It smites and more
>>
>>51710248
Check Curse Bringer bro. Then read Hex Warrior again and get pissed off.

Also Archfey Pact of the Blade 3 for Moonbow/Valor Bard 10 to steal Swift Quiver
>>
>>51710248
Hexblade gets to smite with their silver runeblade, but they can't swing that with cha.
>>
>>51710257
Half elf seminal sentinel
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
So if you remove the two-handed restriction on the hex warrior feature then what?
>>
Somebody fucking tweet Mearls asking if this fucking wizard is supposed to make sorcerer irrelevant because mother of christ, what's the point to playing a fucking dragon sorc other than fire when i HAVE to multiclass just to get the fucking damage type for my damn coloration.
>>
Does anyone else get sad when they like the look of new patrons or archetypes because they're only about a month into a campaign and they're stuck with the old ones?
>>
>>51710268
But your moonbow doesn't need a quiver.

How many rounds does it take for swift quiver to catch up to 10d8 smite damage?[/spoiler
>>
>>51710298
Then every paladin dips warlock 1.
>>
fitting that the wizard UA blows the sorc one out of the water.
>>
File: crystalsage.jpg (66KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
crystalsage.jpg
66KB, 500x406px
>>51710301
?????????
should've studied more
you entitled fag
>>
File: 1410579949085 - Copy.jpg (241KB, 520x730px) Image search: [Google]
1410579949085 - Copy.jpg
241KB, 520x730px
So I'm wanting to play a spooky Halloween character. I was thinking about going tiefling bard and focusing on curses and debuff spells. Then down the line picking up animate dead and using awaken to get jack'olantern minions. What other spells and items would you recommend grabbing for a character like this?
>>
>>51710142

That doesn't change his idea. He only expended one spell slot. The damage type and Charisma DC isn't from Alchemical Casting.
>>
How does whirlwind attack interact with reach? I've been wondering about a melee ranger wielding a whip as a thought experiment for that reason alone.
>>
>>51710237
Alright, thank you. But Boom Blade can, right?

I know that UA classes are generally not balanced for multiclassing. I'd like to do a quick dip into sorcerer for my swashbuckler rogue, and favored soul would be the most thematically appropriate. I don't think it seems particularly overpowered. Any thoughts?
>>
Best melee weapon for Bladesinger?
>>
>>51710314
True, I forgot that specific wording on Swift Quiver. Valor bard probably still works better than sorcerer for that idea unless I forgot a sorcerer archetype that gets Extra Attack.
>>
>>51710310
Yup. Makes me want to swap my The Undying Pact of Tome Warlock for Raven Queen. I feel like this UA was middle finger to me in particular. Undying is a fun flavor patron though.
>>
Would a servant of the Raven Queen probably be lawful neutral? Because boy do I immediately want to roll up a hexblade.
>>
>>51710368
>But Boom Blade can, right?
Yes, that does work. You can quicken a Green-Flame Blade after it too!
>>
>>51710374
The clearly meant the Raven Queen to replace the Undying Pact.
Even UA Seeker got some invocations, albeit pretty bad ones.
>>
>>51710368
Yeah, booming should work.

I don't think Favored Soul dip is any more overpowered than the rest.
>>
>mfw repelling blast + frost lance
>>
So, it's done right? No classes left.

What's going to be the next week's UA?
>>
File: wizards..gif (25KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
wizards..gif
25KB, 600x263px
>>51709149
> If the spell’s range is at least 30 feet,it becomes 1 mile.

Step 1: Get a spyglass.
Step 2: Find a hill within a mile of your target with line of sight.
Step 3: Modify Memory
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit.
>>
>Sentinel Raven
>Get Find Familiar and summon a raven
Oh these? These are Lefty and Righty.
>>
>>51710415
Mystic, Sohei.
Hopefully warlord.
>>
>>51710415
We're supposedly getting yet another attempt at the mystic at some point, but people have been wrongly guessing at when for months now. Really, the answer might be "none" since like you said, they're done with the class UAs, so we might go back to monthly.
>>
So now that all the UAs have been released, what are your top 3? What is your least liked one?

For me its:
1) Sorcerer
2) Artificer
3) Druid
Least favorite: Ranger&Rogue
>>
>>51709149
>that wizard UA
dandwiki tier
>>
>>51710446
1. Artificer
2. Sorcerer
3. Warlock&Wizard

Loser: Ranger&Rogue
>>
File: cool wizard.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
cool wizard.gif
144KB, 126x126px
>>51710446
Wizard
Wheezzurd
Megazord
>>
>moonbow
>10d8 radiant damage smite from range
Where's your god now, palacucks?
>>
>>51710384
Probably? She's from a time when "lawful neutral" as an alignment didn't exist, but she's definitely all about being inflexible and killing everything when she decides it's time to kill it, regardless of the consequences.
>>
>>51710446
>Least favorite: Ranger&Rogue
Nothing in that article was as egregiously stupid as Kensei
>>
>>51710352

It doesn't, sorry. This upset my friend as well.
>>
>>51710391
Maybe they just didn't want to shill a shitty splatbook patron.
>>
>>51710129
Cone of Cold, except it deals fire damage and requires an intelligence saving throw. The throw helps you determine that it doesn't make any sense (incidentally halving the damage).

Strength saving throw for Charm Person. From a mile away. Really, strength saving throw for any enchantment spell. They're gonna have to flex really hard to resist your mental influence.

Phantasmal Killer, except it deals fire damage and requires a dexterity saving throw to end. It turns out that you actually just set them on fire.
>>
>>51710481
>Where's your god now, palacucks?
Granting them the ability to do that more than twice.
>>
>>51710386
>>51710392
Great. Thanks guys.
>>
>>51710483
While you are right, Tranquility made up for it. Ranger&Rogue wasn't bad, just kinda meh
>>
>>51710369
>bladesinger
>BLADE
>SINGER

a club
>>
>>51710424
>pact of the chain
>make your familiars compete for love
>talk through them like they're barbie dolls
>"now kiss"
>>
>>51710369
An axe, obviously.
>>
>>51710486
Dammit, I was half hoping to be able to build a melee ranger who could pull off the insanity that was whirlwind attack in TOEE (iirc a dev oversight but wev)
>>
>>51710495
Implying combat will last over 2 turns with this kind of damage
>>
File: Odin2.jpg (184KB, 754x1059px) Image search: [Google]
Odin2.jpg
184KB, 754x1059px
Be Sentinel Raven get Find Familiar summon raven

I'm Odin now
>>
File: justdolin.png (279KB, 354x664px) Image search: [Google]
justdolin.png
279KB, 354x664px
>>51710481
>Moonbow
I know where YOUR god is LMAO.
>>
>>51710493
>Really, strength saving throw for any enchantment spell.
Well, if you're gonna twist my arm.

>It turns out that you actually just set them on fire.
And it's scary fire.
>>
>>51710020
see >>51709975
>>
>>51710511
this made me kek, for my mind is weak
>>
So in order to be sorcerer I have to at the very least go Sorc 18/Wizard 2
Possibly Wizard 6/Sorc 14 which would mean no 8th or 9th level spells but I could have actual fucking metamagic.
>>
>>51710526
Implying you short rest after every combat
>>
>>51709161
first post best post
>>
>>51709149
DREAMS DO COME TRUE
>>
>>51710446
1 barbarian (they were borning w no flavor and now they have tons of thematic options
2 bard (exclusively for glamor because god why wasn't this in the phb)
3 monk (just for tranquility monks. i like the idea of a monk who seeks only peace and enlightenment and heals the sick)

least favorite: monk. kensai fucking blows ass balls. i've read homebrew with clearer rules
>>
>1 mile casting
>cast any spell in the game on demand
>force damage fireballs
Oh boy, here we go
>>
>>51710129
Shoot a fireball 2-miles away (spell sniper) that requires a CHA save and deals acid damage.
>>
After reading this UA, I've started to develop an interest for Bladelocks. Any way I can help myself not dying? I sure am damn interested in using a Hexblade Greatsword +3 to pave my way to victory.
>>
>>51710391
If by "replace" you mean "overshadow in every possible way", yeah I agree. Which kind of sucks honestly, why come out with a patron that is slightly subpar if you're going to replace it and not even attempt to fix it later on?
>>
>>51710623
Same reason why 2 favoured souls exist.
Or two different artificer classes, although the artificer tradition wizard is still unique enough to sort of justify being a separate thing.
>>
>>51710617
Fun fact, using the invocation greatsword actually prevents you from using charisma for your attacks. I guess they didn't want hexblades to be paladins on steroids.
>>
>>51709149
>Grasp of Hadar
>Repelling Blast
>shake your enemies to death
>>
Yup, it's decided. Spell Secrets, Alchemical Casting and Master of Magic just became base sorcerer features in my games.

Maybe even Prodigious Memory too, but with another name, allowing them to change one spell known per long rest.
>>
>>51710635
Undying warlock, unlike artificer wizard and favored soul sorcerer, is actually an official part of SCAG.
He also sucks because he's so fucking boring, and to Raven Queen replacing him - good riddance.
>>
>>51710369
whip
>>
>>51710678
When a problem comes along, you must...
>>
>>51709149
>5th level Bladelock
>need Devil's Sight for Darkness
>need Beast Speech for my dog
>need Thirsting Blade for extra attack
>need Improved Pact Weapon for damage+attack

why can't I hold all these invocations.jpg
>>
>>51710446
1. Artificer (Needs refining, but it came out of nowhere and I think it's fucking great)
2. Sorcerer, just for stone sorcerer even if it's just a shitty 4e rip-off that they didn't adapt properly for 5e (Teleports at-will as a reaction to someone being hit, but no at-will teleporting, really?)
3. Monk (Just for the tranquility monk). Kensei was stupid, however.

Least favourite: Hard to name just one. Kensei, forge cleric, tree ranger, arcane archer... Most of the time it's because they didn't balance it properly, though sometimes they just do things that don't fit, things that aren't fun or things that don't even work properly by RAW (kensei)
>>
>>51710646
Yeah, it does make me sad, but I'm sure it can still work with GWM, Is it really too bad to sacrifice CHA for STR on a Warlock if I'm going towards that kind of build? But back to my main question though, how do typical Bladelocks maintain good survivability? My first impression is like "play it like a rogue" but can someone provide a more in-depth exposition?
>>
>>51709149
>Lore Master Wizard
>EVERYTHING in it
Utterly pornographic. Who would allow this filth at their table?
>>
>>51710726
One of the guys I DMed for has already said he plans to Fireball with a Charisma save by shouting sick burns, so I'm allowing it.
>>
File: 366_Warlocks.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
366_Warlocks.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Why didn't they bring in Star Patrons for Walrocks? Judging by those Eldritch Invocations, they had them in mind when writing this UA.
>>
>>51710169
The fuck did that come from? That isn't an edition specific concern. I've had a GM who ran a bitching Al-Qadim game using 2E AD&D and then an awesome still going Spelljammer campaign using 3.5 with some 2E rules kitbashed in. Hand to pantheon, they are no man.
>>
>>51710646
>variant human hexblade
>heavily armored
>pump STR and CHA
>be a better paladin
>>
>>51710743
Because GOO is the star pact stand-in.
>>
>>51710743
GOO IS star pact, just refluffed a bit to include more potential abberrant patrons.
>>
>>51710714
Multiclass.

I'm playing a Swashbuckler Rogue/Bladelock crossover, between the high Dex I had already and casting Darkness while having Devil's Sight Invocation, it's increasingly difficult for them to hit me.
>>
>>51709149
I fucking love all these Invocations. The Arcane Tradition is bullshit though.
>>
>>51710726
My DM just asked me if I wanted to change my wizard to Loremaster. Feels good man
>>
>>51710746
Paladins also heal things.
>>
>>51710788
Lucky fucker. I wish my DM would let me change my Warlock to literally either of these two. RQ's got flavour to my taste but Hexblade makes my Bladelock dick hard.
>>
>>51710746
At best you're on par with a regular PAM paladin.

But still worse than an oathbreaker PAM paladin.
>>
>>51710714
Basically you're going to be MAD as hell. You need high CHA for your casting, high STR for your attacking, decent DEX so you have AC, and decent CON so you don't crumble to mild breezes.

You honestly might as well just play a paladin at that point. Maybe go oath of treachery if you want to stay close to warlock levels of edge.
>>
So now that I won't need multiple spells to cover damage types, what are some of the best damaging spells per level?

>>51710808
Did you talk to him, bro?
>>
>>51710788
Why does your DM want to hurt himself so much? You should ask him if he's okay. Make sure to tell him there's nothing wrong with getting help.
>>
>>51710837
Does Cursebringerhexbladelock need Charisma?
>>
>>51709430
Pact of the Blade is proficient in any weapon they create.
>>
>>51710885
I guess if you plan to never use spells with a DC and never rely on a ranged spell option, sure, dump it.

Hope you don't have to fight anything that flies or that can outrun you.
>>
Since we're talking about the Loremaster Wizard... I actually tried to put together an Arcanist origin for sorcerers, since the Wild Mage sucks at doing the "naturally gifted prodigy of arcane magic" archetype. Comparing this to the Loremaster, how broken is it?

Arcanist Origin Sorcerer:

1st Level Feature - Arcane Prodigy
Gain Proficiency in Int (Arcana) checks, +1 Cantrip Know, +1 to Spells Known (total).

1st Level Feature - Mana Wellspring
Increase max Sorcery Points by +1.

6th Level Feature - Font of Spells
You can prepare spells out of a spellbook like a wizard. You still only learn Sorcerer spells and cast with Cha, though.

14th Level Feature - Overwhelming Power
Add + Cha modifier bonus damage to spells that inflict damage.

18th Level Feature - Essence Incarnate
Once per day, spend 5 Sorcery Points as an action to enter Essence Form. In Essence Form, you have Advantage on saving throws vs. spells, gain temporary HP if you pass a saving throw vs. a spell, increase movement by +10 feet, gain Incorporeal Movement, and can apply Quicken Spell for free. Essence Form lasts for 1 minute.
>>
>>51710885
Well I guess you'll probably be spending most of your spell slots on not!smiting.

Huh, a warlock with no CHA. Weird.
>>
>>51710871
idk man, I already play a divwiz so I guess he thought the dicking can't get much bigger
>>
>>51710903
The part he's butthurt about is that Hex Warrior lets you use Charisma for melee weapons that lack the two-handed property, but Curse Bringer makes a greatsword.
>>
File: AH KOS-KOSM.png (168KB, 542x520px) Image search: [Google]
AH KOS-KOSM.png
168KB, 542x520px
>>51710493
>Phantasmal Killer, except it deals fire damage and requires a dexterity saving throw to end. It turns out that you actually just set them on fire.
>>
>>51710854
I got her to approve the invocations, and she said it was on condition that I stop being so cocky, or she'd detonate my barrels of alchemist's fire in my face.

She's the one who forced me into GOOlock multiclass from Rogue in the first place, and I'm tied up with Vhaeraun, so it doesn't really make any flavour sense if I change, unless I can find a way to escape his "serve me or die" thing and persuade her to let me start taking levels in another Patron.
>>
>>51709206
I suspect that's what they intend the Seeker to be. When we see the final version of the Seeker, it might even have some Undying Light features mixed in.
>>
>>51710938
>I got her to approve the invocations, and she said it was on condition that I stop being so cocky, or she'd detonate my barrels of alchemist's fire in my face.
She sounds like a faggot.
>>
>>51707990
A Mighty Fortress feels pretty D&Dey to me. The warfare of the era is what D&D tends towards anyway (sword, polearm, firearm... or wand).
>>
>>51710954
I was convinced Undying Light was just a way to test for a Silver Flame patron without implicitly suggesting Eberron content.
>>
>>51710903
Also, the Hex Warrior is proficient in marital weapons, so it's just a way to get bigger damage dice.
>>
>>51710369
since you're probably an elf and thus can use a sword already (right?) basically all that leaves is a lance
>>
>>51710925
Eh, hand-wave it at the table.
>>
What class multiclasses best with a Warlock?
>>
>>51710938
Wait, you're the guy who caused the oil bubble in your world? Seems you have a shitty DM desu senpai.

>>51710885
Yeah m8, just smite stuff. Pick some utility spells, stay clear of save spells and you can dump CHA no probs apparently
>>
>>51711024
Sorcerer?
>>
>>51711030
New thread.
>>
>>51707104
>Even letting the players throw barrel bombs full of gunpowder is less broken than a Lore Bard is.

Didn't know they were exclusive
>>
>>51710912
Arcane prodigy is fine.

Mana Wellspring is vague. Just one extra sorcery point ever? If so, that's pretty weak. If it's +1 per level, then it's too strong.

Font of Spells is even vaguer. What's in the spell book? How do you fill it?

Overwhelming Power is fine.

Essence Incarnate is weird. More like a paladin capstone than a sorcerer one. Plus it's a bit overloaded.
>>
>>51711019
You mean it needs handwaving beyond "your patron is subtly possessing your weapon and doing the heavy work for you; the higher your spiritual power, the more of its energy you can channel and the more it can manifest itself through your weapon"?

Because, you know, I kind of thought that was implicit in just the patron's fluff.
>>
>>51707054
I don't think anyone made any negative comments about firearms except the frost giant poster.

I legitimately can't think of any use for them except for maybe low level and/or indoors, since their range is so short and they're slow shotters.
>>
>>51711028
Yeah, dat me.

>>51710974
She's decent at world-building and knowing a lot of the stats and things, but I'm hoping to take over the group and DM myself at some point when we run out of campaign. I'm not as good on the rules as she is, but I'd like to think I'd be more relaxed about letting the party run around doing things.
>>
>>51710430
Do we know yet if Sohei is meant to be a class or a fighter or monk subclass?
>>
What UA class do you want to play the most?

For me its the Stone Sorcerer. Seems like a really cool Spellblade class that has many utility options and cool flavour.
>>
>>51711238
I would like try Kensai out despite how poorly thought out parts of it are. When world building we ended up with a knock off Japan in the setting so I would like to use that as an excuse to go full weeaboo and make a Sasaki Kojirou kind of guy.
>>
>>51709149
>Warlock gets two Shadowfell-related patrons
It's probably a crappy combination, but I kinda want to play a Shadow Sorcerer/Raven Queen Patron character that looks like maximum edge, but acts the opposite of that.
>>
>When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice. Once you change a saving throw in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Holy fuck would that be useful. I mean, this whole Arcane Tradition is fucking nuts, but that one would fit so many of my needs.
>>
>>51710912
You're kinda just making them a wizard once you give them a spellbook. At the very least, I'd limit that to just rituals.

Really, I'd just take all the Loremaster features (most of them, anyway) and fold them into the Sorcerer.
>>
>>51709505
The sorc archetypes were great anon
>>
>>51710440
mate the Mystic was fin she'd at the end of December it would be stupid not to released it for playtesting mo they will going back to bard in the UA with changes to their previous UA.
>>
>>51710185
Level 14 feature that is stronger than the first mode of Wish it's a little more gamebreaking than improving spell range, I think
>>
Page 10, new bread
>>51713946
>>51713946
>>51713946
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.