[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Shooty Bang Bang Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 55

File: 1484157517929.png (280KB, 797x797px) Image search: [Google]
1484157517929.png
280KB, 797x797px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51492751

Tell me about guns in your campaigns, /5eg/.
>>
I've got an idea for a dungeon set in an oceanside cave, with massive tidal changes throughout the day. But I'm worried it'd be a logistical nightmare keeping track of water level like that. It'd mean I'd have to make detailed maps with elevation markers for where the water is at different times of day.

Suggestions for making it easier? Or other neat things I could do with a dungeon like this (for lower-level adventurers--around 4th or 5th level)?
>>
File: 1461459537479.jpg (260KB, 600x695px) Image search: [Google]
1461459537479.jpg
260KB, 600x695px
i want a tiefling bitch to fart brimstone on my balls
>>
>>51501611
They can only be operated by animes.
>>
File: arc1348_art.jpg (79KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
arc1348_art.jpg
79KB, 620x450px
>>51501611
I'm going to run a 5th edition game set in the magic the gathering universe, with all the PCs having 1/day planeswalk, making them planewalkers.

Anyone have fun sets of an item, a plane and a plothook to lead PCs on adventures from one plane to the next? Anyone done a planes-hopping adventure before?

I'm planning on having a broken magic gun show up, and when the PCs go to investigate the plane it is from, surprise, it's magical World War One, forever, and everyone thinks they're enemy spies.
>>
Looking for feedback, friends.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJQz5q7nve
>>
What's your favorite archetype/subclass /tg/?
Do you like the flavor? Gameplay? Both?
>>
I want to run a game that's essentially a combination of Warhammer Fantasy and Conan the Barbarian.

I heard Primeval Thule is a good resource to do this, but is it a good toolkit to do so or is it too married to it's own setting?
>>
Which warlock patron is the best if I want to make a magical girl. Too many lonewolf grimdark character in the party, so I will fluff eldritch blast as rainbow and star and shit.
>>
>>51501818
Probably Archfey, though there's some argument to be made for Great Old One, as well.
>>
>>51501657
A druidic moon temple that springs secret doors and traps as the moon draws closer. Guess what happens at midnight.

Anyway, don't stress too much on the map details, just focus on which areas can and can't be accessed on which times.
>>
>>51501691
Probably...
Oath of Ancients Paladin

I love the concept of a Paladin, and I really like "nature" themed characters. It was basically what I wanted in WoW with my druid. Casting Nature Spells, wielding a big ass hammer, defending the beautiful and true places of the world. Also just being a nice person, easy to roleplay myself.

Though admittedly the last 2 characters I played were Paladins, but never survived to level 3. the first one actually got to level 3, but after that session the DM stopped being interested in running. The second was Bard/Paladin multiclass at low levels, and we got to level 4, but i was 2 in both. And now I am playing a level 5 wizard, which is cool i guess, but I kinda just want to play an Oath of Ancients Paladin because i've never gotten a chance to actually play it fully. But i want to play it from Level 1, and get to level 3 and actually go swear my oath in-game.

I had this cool idea for a character who was an Oath of Ancients paladin and was seeking to understand where her powers came from, hoping it would bring her to the Feywild where she would make a pact with an Archfey and just be this super freaky Knight of Faeries.

Other than that, i like Battlemaster mechanically and flavor wise, even though I have never played one.

>>51501818
Undying Light, but you might end up using Sacred Flame more than Eldritch Blast. Eitherway, you have special positive energy and light based abilities. Pretty cool for a warlock. You aren't seemingly bound to the desires of another being, Undying Light is the energy of the Positive Plane, so i don't know if it can make "requests".
Archfey works well too.
>>
>>51501818
Or The Seeker, if UA is allowed.
>>
>>51501688
Looks pretty neato and balanced to me
>>
File: qb.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
qb.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>51501818
>>51501879
Forge a contract with an inscrutable old one to become a magical girl. Perfect.
>>
>>51501983
I don't know why, but something about you just strikes me as really trustworthy. Let's do it!
>>
File: Savant Homebrew.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Savant Homebrew.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Allright /5eg/.

I think this is ready (I just gotta wait confirmation from an artist to use a pic)...

Any glaring issues you see? Shapeshifters might have too many "Once per X" features instead of actually continuously useful stuff, but they're shapeshifters, they're to kind supposed of have that stuff I guess?
>>
>>51501611
>Tell me about guns in your campaigns, /5eg/.
Largely replaced bows and crossbows in the military. Out in the territory the players are in they're uncommon for anyone who isn't an imperial soldier or a private guard of a particularly wealthy noble or merchant. It's said up north they're common enough that even some of the more well off communities can arm their militias with them and that the hunters of their community use them for catching large game. Technologically they use a flintlock mechanism, alchemical compounds in a wax casing and are breech-loaded. Cleaning the gun to prevent buildup of vaporized wax is part of routine maintenance. The smell of tallow, the more inexpensive wax used for shells, is now associated with gunmen as beeswax is common enough that it replaced tallow for candles.
>>
File: fire_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg (137KB, 827x1169px) Image search: [Google]
fire_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg
137KB, 827x1169px
Had to leave for a few hours and didn't get a chance to reply to the guys asking questions, so reposting:

Players and myself (DM) have been pitching ideas back and forth for a homebrew setting. Everyone likes the idea of a multiplanar world where planes are intertwined and it isn't uncommon for one plane to "cross" into another. The Spirit Realm and Elemental Planes especially are closely connected with the Material Plane.

One of my players has a cool idea, he wants his character to have a pact with a playable fire elemental/spirit. Backstory the character gave a portion of his strength and vitality to make the pact, making his body pretty frail. Similar to how in that old PS2 game Drakkengard, the characters sacrificed a piece of themselves to form a pact with the creature. The player supports gimping his PC for some balance.

I have no idea this would work in 5e though, as I'm fairly new to it myself.
Should I consider the fire spirit a familiar, but with beefier stats and the ability to attack? And it can level up with the PC.
Or is there another "pet" rule set that I don't know about?

I think it's a cool idea, but I don't want it to get unbalanced.

>What race/class/stats does this character have anyway?
Player originally was considering a magic-user, but we agree it will need some serious gimping if he's going to essentially have a small fire elemental under his command as well. Any ideas? If not, he's probably open to a different type. We may even homebrew him something.

>Would be best represented by having the player character not participate much in combat except for special moments (go pull a lever, interrupt when everybody's dying to potentially endanger themself to save others) and otherwise largely use the elemental. Essentially split the combat portion of the player's skills into the fire elemental and the utility portion into the player.
I'm thinking this will be the easiest way to handle it
>>
File: Hobgoblin spear holder.png (291KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin spear holder.png
291KB, 1000x1000px
>>51501951
Thank you, friendo. Have a Hobgoblin.
>>
>>51502038
Stealing your Mongol hobgoblins btw
>>
>>51501611
I want to try removing dex-to-damage. Has anyone done this? Do you find it helps with Rapier Edition?
>>
>>51502064
I'll be posting more shit to come; let me know how they play in a game.
>>
Would a shield hamper a character attempting to climb? Even if it would, feels like an unnecessary nerf...
>>
GFB and Booming Blade seem to be scaling damage attached to a melee attack, and more damage if a condition is met. What other conditions would be balanced? As an example:

Moonfire Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must
make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.
On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects,
and your weapon appears painfully bright to the target until the
start of your next turn. If the target ends its turn within 5 feet of you, it immediately takes 1d8 radiant damage, and the spell ends.
This spell's damage increases when you reach higher
levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8
radiant damage to the target, and the damage the target
takes for being adjacent increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls
increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.
>>
>>51502128
I mean, you probably have a strap to put it on your back. That or it's a targe, which is small and strapped to the forearm so you can hold a dirk as well as your broadsword and still have a shield.

Really unless the player's shield strap was previously damaged in game for some reason I'd not bother. Hell, I might let them keep the +2 AC for it shrugging glancing shots off their back.
>>
>>51502148
Actually I have a few myself that I ran through the general thread a few months back. Ended up starting a discussion about teleporting cantrips. Here's an example of some of the ones I've made(balance not guaranteed)

Gale Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, the target takes lightning damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and a powerful wind encircles your target. You can move to any empty square adjacent to the target, any opportunity attacks you provoke with this movement are made with disadvantage.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target. The damage roll increases by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.
>>
File: 1473117576194.jpg (148KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473117576194.jpg
148KB, 564x800px
If a town were to have an artificer, how much do you think he would charge per thunder gun and ammunition?
>>
>>51501864
I want puzzles and combat to revolve around rising and falling tides within an area, but that would cut down on the maps I needed to make.
>>
>>51502217
So many variables I couldn't give a fair answer.
>>
File: 1480564668481.jpg (170KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1480564668481.jpg
170KB, 736x552px
>>51501611

One of the main conflicts involves the advancement of firearms which was kept stagnant of purposes as the smiths who crafted them wanted to maintain their monopoly on manufactur and repair.

Formally people were stuck with wheel/flint lock rifles until rogue artisans who fled out to a new continent decided to experiment with a new design that used cylinders and cartridges basically making six shot rifles and pistols.

Once they entered the market this forced everyone else to either copy or come up with their own designs they were keeping on the back burner breaking the monopoly of the guilds

However, even as guns largely became more commonplace it made more specalized weapons even more special with Archers creating special arrow shafts that allow them to fill them cwith various alchemical fluids and and creating bows with draw weights that could make an arrow pierce a boulder as well as highly expensive enchanted armor for elite warriors.
>>
>>51502153
>>51502128
You need to hold the shield in one hand to benefit from +2 AC. A strap-to-forearm shield isn't qualify for AC bonus, you might as well just have a paper decoration that look like shield
>>
What do you think about some of the races into a different kind of human? Like Elves being a kind of Witchfolk of a Haunted Forest, who don't sleep and practice foul arcane rites. Or Dwarves being a pale underground clan who know the secrets of steel and the blood of the earth.
>>
File: 1393035504693.jpg (664KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1393035504693.jpg
664KB, 2000x1333px
>>51501670
I'm >>51502032 this guy. Working on a planeswalker-esque setting myself.
In mine there are multiple portals between the planes, some are known (and have various forts/wizard towers built over them for protection/containment), while other portals are keys that transport you. Keys can be ancient artifacts or seemingly normal items.

Still drafting a rough campaign, but a wizard actually the BBEG of course hires the party to enter the plane of Ice to retrieve an artifact that turns out to be a key. Once BBEG has access to the plane, he begins destroying the nodes that keep the plane in balance with the Material Plane. Ice Age on earth begins, Frost Giants and Polar bears go berserk, etc. Party eventually needs to restore balance or the multiverse will collapse.
>>
I want to give an active ability to Champion, possibly adding it to their Remarkable Athlete feature. How's the sound of this?

>You can reroll a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check that you fail. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can’t use this feature again until you finish a short rest.
>>
>>51502148
This is more powerful than Booming Blade since you are forcing the target to either take OA or damage from the spell.

And I don't see why you specifically choose radiant damage other than wanting it to be OP.

0/10 attemp at power creep.
>>
File: expanded-familiars-1.png (5MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
expanded-familiars-1.png
5MB, 1736x2456px
Walrock here, preview of my current project.

What familiars would you want to see?
>>
File: expanded-familiars-2.png (5MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
expanded-familiars-2.png
5MB, 1736x2456px
>>51502393
Page 2
>>
File: 8299612_orig[1].png (245KB, 280x374px) Image search: [Google]
8299612_orig[1].png
245KB, 280x374px
Here is a small storyline for my 2, level 2 party. A noblewoman hired them to investigate strange stuff going on near her farm. They are required to be quiet about it since the farm was given to the lady by her noble father and he thinks that she will totally ruin it and prove once and for all that woman can't manage these things.

Since a few weeks first a horse gone missing, then some crops were destroyed and finally noble lady's dog was killed. So afraid of her father hearing about problems at the farm she hires my players to check it out.

The party will investigate and track the area and finally find a high as fuck satyr laying in his debacuhery den. It was him who caused all the problems at the farm. He is actually addicted to some pleasure giving substances and he gets his fix by the hag in the woods. Hag being a old crony woman, is extremely jealous of the youth and beauty of the noblewoman and wants to ruin her happiness by causing these problems at the farm. And since the hag has the satry as her bitch she made him do all the bad stuff.

Now two questions:

>I want the lair of the satyr to be like a kind of abondoned small dungeon. What do you think I should populate it with other than the satyr?

>I want the hag to stay around for a while and actually try to make a deal/fake promies to the players in exchange of her life. Any ideas how to get the hag a continuation storyline after this?
>>
So in SKT in the first town there's a tiefling that you can discover worships Asmodeus if one of your characters can read infernal. That's pretty fucked up right? Wouldn't they be suspicious of that shit? The book doesn't really go into any further detail about that person.
>>
>>51502393
>>51502407
Let's see the rest mang
>>
>>51502464
Would if I could. The rest isn't finalized yet.
>>
>>51502409
>>I want the hag to stay around for a while and actually try to make a deal/fake promies to the players in exchange of her life. Any ideas how to get the hag a continuation storyline after this?
Making false promises is a way to wind up dead, make genuine deals.
The first few times she helps out, she does it fairly cheaply, and the help is real and useful. Healing, arcane knowledge, divination.
The more they rely on her, the more she starts to have deals in her favor, things that need done for her to continue. Culminate it with her life being threatened, if the PCs help, they just murdered an adventuring group.
>>
>>51502312
Thoughts on this?
>>
File: BEES.jpg (139KB, 533x496px) Image search: [Google]
BEES.jpg
139KB, 533x496px
I need advice 5eg

So, the campaign I'm running just got to my big evil dungeon, but I'm a little daunted; I want the delve to feel at least somewhat deep (think the deep roads section from DA Origins or the Catacombs->Grave of Giants delve from Dark Souls), but this is a group that rolls their eyes and becomes unfun when anything outside of their plans happens to them, even despite all the times I've gone out of my way to avoid killing them.

The setup is basically
>Caves are full of dust that makes people crazy and magically unstable
>Party has the means to avoid said insanity now
>Delve deeper, notice lots of life and out of place greenery
>Encounter underground village of people who don't act right, turns out the place is basically a simulation
>At the bottom is setting's magical equivalent of Atlas who was wounded by story stuff and has been going nuts from pain and bleeding raw magic stuff, hence crazy dust from earlier

Basically, I'm thinking the enemy types would go from crazy people to animals/dinosaurs deeper down and finally to dangerous magic-resistant ones, but enemy variety only does so much for a dungeon; I can't really figure out how to do traps well without the group just scoffing and acting like I'm trying to kill them.
>>
Is there a pdf of all the current classes and archtypes collected all in one spot?
>>
Okay guys so I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to build a magic sentient Katana that can shoot sword beams and is also unbreakable crystal. I'm just not sure what to do with the crystal part... It was designed with this magus class in mind. This is what I have so far.

>Crystal Katana
>Sonic Wave
This ability channels the magus' arcane history and allows the Oathkeeper to fire an arcane thunderous wave at a target 30ft. away. The booming wave requires a ranged spell attack. The wave deals 2d6 points of thunder damage, on a hit you can expend a spell slot to increase the damage by 1d6 per spell slot beginning at 1st level to a maximum of 6d6.

What do you think? Tips? Changes?
>>
File: 1480325716594.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1480325716594.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51502735
>>
File: 1483702575288.jpg (109KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483702575288.jpg
109KB, 400x400px
>>51501661
>>
>>51502393
>What familiars would you want to see?
Insects
Like a big damsel fly or a ladybug or a moth or something :>
>>
>>51502324
Sounds a lot like Indomitable
>>
>>51502789
Ladybug might be good. I considered doing a bee, but I figured a giant bee might make for a better ranger companion.
>>
>>51502485
All right sounds good. What do you think would live in the same den with a satyr?
>>
File: but-why.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
but-why.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>51502536
>>
>>51502838
I want to run a game that's more Conan mixed with Warhammer Fantasy, rather than the implied default setting.
>>
>>51502868
Well if it sounds fun then you can always give it a shot.

The Warhammer fantasy note is a bit odd though, considering that universe features a great deal of different races. But hey, run wild with your own world.
>tfw your army got delisted
Fuck you GW
Chaos Dwarves 4 lyfe ;_;
>>
>>51502800
Yeah, it's supposed to be similar. It doesn't sound like too much, does it?
>>
>>51502347
It's a remake of the 4e cantrip of the same name.
What if the damage die were lower?
>>
>>51502901
Nah, Champion is a pretty tame subclass.
You'd have to really try to make one OP, mostly because anyone playing a Champion is probably spending half their time staring at the back of their eyelids anyway.
>>
File: 1484989739058.jpg (90KB, 757x553px) Image search: [Google]
1484989739058.jpg
90KB, 757x553px
>>51502899
Cry me river.
>>
File: PCHDREMASTER2018.png (835KB, 2500x3250px) Image search: [Google]
PCHDREMASTER2018.png
835KB, 2500x3250px
l-like my very edgy Shardmind Ranger?
>>
>>51502148
The Magus class mentioned here >>51502742
had made some GFB like cantrips one is called
Spell Shattering Strike.

Spell Shattering Strike
Evocation cantrip
Class: Magus (Arcane Order)
make a melee attack with a weapon against one
creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell
fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal
effects, and if the target is concentrating on a spell this
attack deals an additional 1d8 force damage.
This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher
levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8
force damage to the target and the additional damage if
the target is concentrating on a spell increases to 2d8.
Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th and 17th
level.
>>
File: 1459837556436.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459837556436.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>51502942
It's a r-r-real army. With Earthshaker cannons and everything.

Flying bulls are cool I swear...

pls send help ;_;
>>
>>51502974
Why would you ever take that?
>>
>>51502954
I remember absolutely nothing about shardmind lore. They're kinda cool and I remember something about them having the power to kinda turn into a cloud for a round.

>>51502989
I've never understood Chaos Dwarves. They just never appealed to me.
>>
>>51502993
It's an option as not every one of the classes archetypes gets GFB or Booming Blade.
>>
>>51502993
To mess up casters. I would add verbiage to that to make it 2 separate instances of damage, so they have to make 2 concentration checks.
>>
>>51502742
> want class bloat in 5e
Why don't you kindly just go back to your precious discussion about Kitsune in /pfg/. There are already several way to make a fighter mage in 5e.
>>
>>51503010
They're pieces of a sentient gate blocking a rift to the Far Realms. God stuff happened, the gate blew up, and the shards turned into people.

Now they go around doing their thing, either trying to fix the hole in the world that their gate used to cover, or taking their sentience and running for the hills.
>>
>>51503048
That's actually pretty cool. Is there a good homebrew for them?
>>
>>51502148
>>51502993
How 'bout this one?

Corrupted Ki Kata
Transmutation cantrip
Components: S
Class: Magus (Shadow Court)
You make the hand sign of corruption and strike at a
creature within range. As part of the action used to cast
this spell, you must make an unarmed strike attack
against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise
the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s
normal effects. If the creature is surprised, blinded, or
incapacitated the creature is poisoned until the end of
your next turn.
levels. At 5th level, the unarmed strike attack deals an
extra 1d12 poison damage. This damage increases by 1d12 again at 11th level and 17th level

>>51503043
Yes I am aware of that but my players did not see the EK, Valor Bard, and Bladelock as suitable replacements so I went out and found something we all liked.
>>
>>51503061
A couple people have taken a crack at Shardmind, but I haven't quality checked any of them yet.

They're around if you google them.
>>
Is the homebrewery supposed to copy your entire opening description when you use the class feature template.
>>
>>51503073
Shardminds: +2 Int,
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, and one other of your choice.
Telepathy: You can speak telepathically to anything within 15 feet of you that has a language. They cannot speak back to you telepathically.
Living construct: Do not need to eat, drink, breath, or sleep. Must trance for 4 hours to gain benefits of long rests. You are aware of everything going on around you within 30 feet.
Age: You do not age like other races, you are a living construct.
Shard Swarm: You begin to loosen your shard form. As an action you can move any in any direction at half your speed. Any creature you pass by while doing this takes 1d4 piercing damage. Does not trigger attacks of opportunity. You have to take a short or long rest before using the ability again.

Subraces:

Crystalline Sharmind: +1 Wis, You know the mending cantrip.

Biotic Shardmind: +1 Cha, you are proficient in the Insight Skill.

This one decent you reckon?
>>
File: 1484450689470.jpg (121KB, 1024x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1484450689470.jpg
121KB, 1024x1440px
Alright boys, I need your help. I'm trying to come up with some homebrew cantrips I can pitch to my DM since there is only ONE damaging necromancy cantrip and I'll be playing a Death Domain cleric soon. What should this be?

Drain Touch

Necromancy Cantrip
Range: Touch
Components: V, S

You know how to momentarily control the very flow of life itself. Make a melee spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and [Insert Effect Here]

The spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).
>>
>>51501611

I rather don't have them in the game except as magical implements which shoot out spells for magic users instead of staff and holy symbol.
>>
File: 1475977594084.png (108KB, 357x368px) Image search: [Google]
1475977594084.png
108KB, 357x368px
Any ideas on how to give a Barbarian Dragonborn a backstory?
>>
File: tjub_chaos-dwarf_army01[1].jpg (181KB, 700x374px) Image search: [Google]
tjub_chaos-dwarf_army01[1].jpg
181KB, 700x374px
>>51503010
>I've never understood Chaos Dwarves. They just never appealed to me.
They were a weird race. Started out as like a sidebar in a GW magazine to float the idea of evil slave-driving magic-using chaos-touched dorfs. Eventually they did get an army book but they never caught on. They remade them with new toys but it still wasn't enough to become popular (I never played the newer stuff).

Race wise they were basically a massive military industrial complex fueled entirely by slave labor (mostly goblins) like a Steampunk version of hell. They also bucked the Dwarf tradition of >nomagic by having spellcasters, but the lore was that the older/more powerful a Chaos Dwarf mage was the more of his body was turned to stone. It meant that your highest level mages actually had to be carried around by 4 dwarves (and had obscene AC to boot). Eventually all CD mages turned to statues that lined the roads in/to their capital.

Army wise they were actually an obscenely powerful army. You had tough dwarven infantry blocks as a core, but filled out your forces with various goblin units that you'd throw into the fray without the slightest concern. If a unit broke, no one gave a fuck and no leadership checks were made. Just whip more slaves and throw more meat into the meatgrinder. You could also borrow bits from both Goblin and Chaos armies (including Black Orcs) Backing that up was some of the most powerful artillery in the game. Earthshaker cannons made most other artillery look like pop guns. One special ranged (12" only) unit was the Blunderbuss. Amazingly deadly, basically just a big shotgun, so anyone within the area of fire was auto-hit. Just a massive volley of death. They also had some incredibly underrated heavy cavalry (they were literally dwarf centaurs). I remember my buddy getting his Bretonian heavy cavalry to lock horns with my own heavy cavalry, and he had a big fucking grin on his face up until he realized they could easily go to to toe with them.

Fun times
>>
>>51503136
Gain 1d4 temp HP until the start of your next turn?
>>
>>51503149
Make them a luchador.
>>
>>51503189
I've thought of that before, but the biggest problem with that is 1d4 temp HP as a cantrip compared to a 1st level spell of 1d4+4 is just way too good.
>>
>>51503125
Seems pretty alright. Not blatantly overpowered, at least.

You might want to polish it, though. What does "pass by" mean?

Also trance doesn't give you a long rest, it just gives you the benefits of sleeping. A long rest always requires 6 hours of downtime, regardless of anything.
>>
>>51503149
Convince your DM to let you fluff a ladder with a maul stats and use that.
>>
Not mine, but I wanted to hear all of your thoughts from a mechanical standpoint.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1HBWX5j
The lore is fine as far as I know, I haven't played in a while.
>>
>>51503149
Your character is an easy going fellow who uses the excuse of besmirched honour to hit people, preferably people that look like a challenge. He hails from a hidden mountain village, that is shrouded in a snowstorm.
>>
>>51503149
Ripped right off of reddit from a google search and copy pasted straight to you.

What is your character’s name?
How old is your character?
What would somebody see at first glance (i.e. height, weight, skin color, eye color, hair color, physique, race, and visible equipment)?
What additional attributes would be noticed upon meeting the character (i.e. Speech, mannerisms)?
Where was your character born?
Where were you raised?
By who?
Who are your parents?
Are they alive?
What do they do for a living?
Do you have any other family or friends?
What is your character’s marital status?
Kids?
What is your character’s alignment?
What is your character’s moral code?
Does your character have goals?
Is your character religious?
What are your character’s personal beliefs?
Does your character have any personality quirks (i.e. anti-social, arrogant, optimistic, paranoid)?
Why does your character adventure?
How does your character view his/her role as an adventurer?
Does your character have any distinguishing marks (birth-marks, scars, deformities)?
How does your character get along with others?
Is there anything that your character hates?
Is there anything that your character fears?
>>
Well my character just died at the 2nd and I wasn't really liking him any way.

Is there any class where Duergar racial powers help? I was thinking a primeval ranger to cast Enlarge while I'm in tree form but the Sunlight sensitivity's a bitch.
>>
>>51503416
>a tree with sunlight sensitivity

I know we're talking about a game where a dwarf turns into a tree, but how does that make any sense.
>>
>>51503426
I was going to reflavor it into a kind of Golem mode. Turns into a big rock motherfucker with the "dwarven stone powers" or some bullshit.
>>
>>51503416
>Is there any class where Duergar racial powers help?
Probably fighter
I could see a case for monk too
But make whatever you want
>>
Should I go with Oath of Devotion or Oath of Vengeance for Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>51503469
You should play an Oathbreaker. The damage bonus comes in handy during that adventure.
>>
>>51503488

Yeah, but then I'd have to be evil and twirl moustaches and stuff.
>>
>>51503519
Nah I played a lawful neutral one who was an old folk hero that kept failing at his adventures.

Eventually he got sick of it and renounced his oath but used his training and powers to work as a mercenary.
>>
File: 1459324779697.jpg (94KB, 520x844px) Image search: [Google]
1459324779697.jpg
94KB, 520x844px
>working on fleshing out NPCs from my character's backstory
>really enjoying writing about one of them
>tell the DM all about them and their personality so he knows how to play them if they show up
>roll up a character sheet for them just for fun
>become more invested in the NPC than my character
>end up wanting to play the NPC more than my character
>>
File: D6z0RZF.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
D6z0RZF.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>51503416
>>51503426
>>51503438
Better yet, fluff it as a shroom mode, since fungi are technically plants in D&D.
Then punch stuff.
>>
>>51503594
Aw now I've got a tough choice.

Giant dwarven golem or fuckhuge shoom dwarf.
>>
>>51503136
Disadvantage on charisma saving throws until the start of their next turn
>>
How would you introduce and include 4e style combat into 5e?
>>
>>51503738
>>51503708
Opps.
Don't.
It is impossible and very difficult.
Play 5e went you want to play 5e.
Play 4e when you want to play 4e.
Play Pathfinder when you want to play 3.5
>>
>>51502018
What a neat and detailed answer
>>
>>51502765
More recent version.
>>
>>51503801
And just the cannon stuff.
>>
how to design a spooky mongrelfolk dungeon?
>>
>>51503745
Wasn't including 4e combat into 5e made a point of in a fair number of videos?
Unfortunately PF is pretty terrible.

What makes you say it'd impossible or very difficult?
>>
How necessary is War Caster for a 2H user that wants to maintain concentration at all times in combat?
14 Con
+3 Aura of Protection
Proficiency in Con saves at 14th level

Would +2 Str be better?
>>
Alright so I'm planning to make a Ranger with a dip in Cleric. I was thinking of taking Forge Cleric for the armour, shield spell and that sick level 1 ability. Should I do cleric 1 then the rest in ranger, or go for ranger first?
>>
>>51504057
War Caster is fantastic if you have a decent con save already, but unless you are a full caster, you probably will only benefit from the advantage..
>>
>>51504057
+2 cha (support) or +2 str (polearms) or PAM (not polearms) would be better.

Resilient (con) is only if you have an odd numbered con. Otherwise, charisma there is precious.
>>
>>51504057
Also, you don't need warcaster's 'cast with your hands full' for many paladin things even if you have a shield. With a 2H weapon, you have absolutely zero problems casting since you have a hand free.

Advantage is barely worth it compared to +2 cha for everybody getting +1 to all their saves and the other benefits chairsma gives.
The reaction attack spells is better if you actually have good spells to use on it, and as a paladin you can already 'instant cast spells' by smiting people in the face, so you don't need a reaction spell unless you have booming blade.
>>
>>51501670
My DM has a planeswalker session and its ridiculously dun. Each player has color identity and man's we use on MTG spells we gain at certain levels. We've been to tons of the planes and accidentally gave Golgari a mummy lord complete with pyramid in Izzet territory. My viashino artificer's fault.
>>
>>51504143
Dun = fun
Man's = mana
>>
>>51504095
>>51504100
>>51504114
I'm going to go Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 14 and buff myself and my talking horse and fly into battle.
>>
>>51504280
>I'm going to go Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 14
No, you aren't
Stop building for 20.
>>
Which class has the best capstone ability?
>>
>>51504312
Barbarian or Artificer.
>>
>>51502076
If you want martials to start using longswords then remove Versatile and replace it with something that isn't useless.
>>
>>51502217
An artificer can only have one thunder gun in existence at a time I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>51504294
Well I'm going to go Paladin 5 / Sorcerer 5 and then I'll have the core of it.
>>
>>51504404
So raise your CHA to 20.
>>
>>51504114
I'm not gonna get 30 foot auras though. I'm building Vengeance and attacking 4 times per round, 5 if I burn 2 sorcery points to use a melee cantrip as a bonus action. So I think the +2 Str might be better.
>>
>>51504447
Cha is going to be at 16 from level 1. I have the Variant Human feat because it's at its best when multiclassing. With my build path I get 4 more feats, at 4, 10, 14, and 18.

I looked through and saw virtually no reason to push for higher Cha. It only benefits my spell save DC, which is fairly irrelevant since I'm buffing and casting very few things that call for saves. Every 2 Cha is just +1 to saves in a 10 foot radius (myself and my mount and sometimes other people). I recall absolutely nothing else.
>>
>>51504499
+1 all saves is more than good enough to warrant an ASI.
>>
>>51504068
Before multiclassing into a UA class option, talk to your DM - its generally not advised to use UA material for multiclassing
>>
>>51504582
Aright I will. If not I guess I'll go War Cleric or Tempest and my question still stands.
>>
File: walpurgisnacht.jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
walpurgisnacht.jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>51501993
Hello naughty children, it's apocalypse time.
>>
>>51502446
Well if the players find the evidence like the asmodean holy symbol and the infernal writing they can organise to get her burnt at the stake.

Award extra XP or inspiration. Or I suppsoe they could blackmail her for gold or tiefling milf sex
>>
>>51503202
Note the cantrip's THP only last a turn, while False Life's last an hour.
>>
I think I thought of something better, as an addition to Champion's 7th level ability:

>Remarkable Athlete
You can choose to roll a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make with advantage. If you do so, you can’t use this feature again until you finish a short rest. You can use this feature twice between short rests starting at 10th level and three times between short rests starting at 15th level.
>>
>>51504506
Not seeing it, I'd already be proficient in Con and Wis. Not a support paladin.
>>
>>51504778
Can't wait for a lesbo to ruin it all.
>>
>>51503469
Oath of devotion and be Good aligned. The last part is very important
>>
>>51505058
+1 all saves, including con and for your horse, is generally better than advantage on concentration checks specifically.

I'm not saying to 100% prioritize maxing it, but that its almost always better for your paladin than war caster.
>>
Anyone have any houserules to make Versatile weapons not shitty?

Fighting style/feat? Have a player wanting to use a single longsword when twf/pam/gwm are all miles better and it's a high op campaign so im worried he'll get rekt (already had his last char die)
>>
>>51505115
The spell I'll have up most often is Haste. If I lose concentration on that we're fucked for a turn.
>>
>>51505137
Let him, not you problem. Whatever gets his thrill going.
>>
So I'm running an end of the world campaign and the PCs are in the spread of 16-18. I'm about to have the BBEG release the Tarrasque.

So what should be the quests the run to stop it? Contain it somehow? Kill it even? Should I bump up its health to max since its stomping across the Sword Coast?
>>
File: 1467507797046.gif (260KB, 266x207px) Image search: [Google]
1467507797046.gif
260KB, 266x207px
>helping new player through character creation
>"So do you want them to be a male or female?"
>"Androgynous. Nobody can tell, and it's never going to come up."
This is a bad sign.
>>
>>51505265
it doesn't have to unless you force it
>>
>>51505265
Actually laughing at the potential NPC interactions.
>>
>>51505137
There is Blade Mastery from the Feats UA, though most people on 5eg seem to think it's shit. But he wants to use solely a longsword, no shield? That's unusual. Maybe you could drop a magical longsword his way at some point?
>>
File: Drink the Pain Away.png (38KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
Drink the Pain Away.png
38KB, 175x175px
>>51505265
I'd honestly take this over all the grognards who claim they go 50/50 but whom I've only ever seen play female (read: waifubait) characters ever.
>>
>>51501691
Arcane Tricksters. I love that invisible mage hand.
>>
File: fluffandfluffer.png (657KB, 1000x724px) Image search: [Google]
fluffandfluffer.png
657KB, 1000x724px
>>51505265
Are they from /pfg/?
>>
>>51505303
Yeah he wants to be an Aragorn/Geralt like character in how he fights - the fluff of what a versatile longsword is (quick one handed strikes and 2h strikes for strong hits against tough opponents) he likes, but the crunch is underwhelming ... Dueling with a 1h longsword does more damage than wielding it 2h
>>
>>51505337
Fluff him and let him use it for both but say restrict heavy armor
>>
>>51501691
GOO Bladelock

I like the utility of the class generally with minimal drawbacks and the customisable advantages of the Invocations, and I love the flavour of the GOO patron.

I also find the flavour idea of a warlock who's more in line with a rogue-based Blackguard much more interesting than an evil wizard.

I don't care that it's the worst Pact or that Eldritch Knight does the same thing better.
>>
>>51503149
He's a big ugly bastard that likes slaughtering enemies, fucking bitches, and getting paid
>>
>>51505371
He's using medium armor anyway

I was thinking of giving him a fighting style that gives +1 damage and +1AC, and an optional feat that gave him the choice between an extra 1d4 attack or the GWM power attack (-5/+10) depending on how many hands he uses.
>>
>>51505265
Make a gang of rowdy bugbears rape PC to expose its genitalia
>>
>>51505401
>>51505337
How about giving him a Versatile fighting style or feat that fits the fluff? Fighting style could be +1 to hit when wielding one-handed, +1 to damage when wielding two-handed. The feat you sggested makes sense, as long as it's all it gives (1d4 bonus attack when one-handing, -5/+10 when two-handing).

Either way, I feel like Blade Mastery would still give him some options he could appreciate.
>>
>>51503125
I'd say add a Dex save to Shard Swarm.
>>
Is the only way to get >20 in a stat through the DM?
>>
>>51505556
Magic items, class features or spells for temporary buffs.
>>
>>51505556
Barbarians have a class feature for it. Otherwise you're relying on DM-fiat or super-rare magic artifacts (which are pretty much DM-fiat).
>>
>>51505265
Great! That sounds interesting! But you see, I'm the DM and I need to know everything. You can write it down in a paper if you don't want the others to know.
>>
>>51504404
>paladin 5
>core
Aura of protection + spellcasting level is pretty core I'd say.
>not paladin 6/sorcerer5 then paladin11/sorcerer5 then paladin11/sorcerer9
Scrub

That said, you'll have booming blade and be in melee which means warcaster isn't half bad. However, +2 strength is also pretty valuable, so eh. I'd grab it with variant human.
>>
>>51502148

Availible on Sorcerrer, Druid and Cleric spell lists:

Serpent strike
Evocation cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 5 ft
Components: V,S
Duration : 1 turn

As part of the action used to cast this spell,
you must make a melee weapon attack.
On a hit the target suffers the attacks normal effects and an additional magical piercing damage equal to your spell-casting modifier.
At lvl 6 the target also suffers 1d8 poison damage (the additional damage scales as you level to 2d8 at lvl 9, 3d8 at lvl 14 and 4d8 at lvl 20).

Bulls charge
Transmutation cantrip
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: Up to 90 ft
Components: S, Material (a necklace made from bulls bones and red cloth)

As part of the action used to cast this spell you must pick a target at least 15ft and at most 90ft away from you.
You charge your target using your movement speed in the proces and once you reach within 5ft of it you make a melee weapon attack against it.
On a hit the target takes an additonal *Spellcasting modifier* bludgeon damage for each 10ft you crossed before you made the melee weapon attack.
As you level up this spell gains an additional effect.
After lvl 6 each character in a 5ft wide line between you and your target must make a Str save or be shoved prone.
The Str save DC equals 10+You spellcasting modifier+1 (for every 10ft already moved as part of this spell) - 1(for every character already shoved).
>>
>>51504461
Even if you don't have 30ft auras, 10ft auras are still good.

If you could booming blade at 10ft without spellsniper I'd probably say to go PAM anyway, but if you'vealreadygot some other gimmick going on it's probably not sobad to go maul or something.

If you wanted PAM it'd be better to go bard6/paladin14 because while you don't get bonus action cantrips you get shillelagh instead.
>>
>>51505646
From the Magus class above two ranged cantrips.

Arcing Arrow
Transmutation cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Class: Magus (Arcane Order & Primordial Seal)
make a ranged attack with a weapon against one
effects. On a miss, choose a second creature within
range and make a ranged weapon attack with the same
weapon against that creature. On a hit, the second
creature suffers the attack’s normal effects but the
attack deals lightning damage.
levels. At 5th level, the ranged attack deals an extra 1d8
lightning damage whether it hits the original target or
the second creature. This damage increases by 1d8
again at 11th level and 17th level.

Rime Strike
Evocation cantrip
Range: 90 feet
Class: Magus (Primordial Seal & Sylvan Circle)
make a ranged attack with a weapon against one
effects, and the creature’s movement speed is halved
until the end of its turn as the air around it turns frigid.
At 5th level the ranged attack deals an extra 1d8 cold
damage. This damage increases by 1d8 again at 11th
level and 17th level.
>>
I wish paladins didn't have that ruddy strength requirement

I want to make a swashbuckler rogue/oath of vengeance paladin, but actually getting the stats required is a serious pain
>>
>>51505709
I won't tell you to stop inserting that stupid /pfg/ class but know some moderation.
This is d&d 5E.
At least stick to the core books and supplements when making up new spells.
>>
>>51505746
I placed these cantrips here for the people who want to use them and change them to fit their game. If people are trying to add to the list of Swords of the Coast based cantrips then they have more to work with.
>>
Hi /tg/ , I've got a sort of selfish request to ask of you. I'm in a long running game right now that's fun for us all, but suffers constantly from grumbling ooc undercurrents. Bluntly put, two groups of people are friends with the same GM, but don't entirely like each other. In game when a monster needs it's head cracked open? In the moment, it's great, everyone is united. Afterwards though, come the private messages and all the assorted pissing and moaning. My character is entirely a support wizard. Built them with the sole purpose of keeping everyone happy, to make fights easier for all involved so they can win. No matter what I've done, IC and out, the complaints still come from the other side. Complaints about my character. Complaints about how I/my side plan too much, privately complain to the GM of 'feeling small' when our planning and discussions yield awesome results on the table. (The opposing side haven't even read the book, even when the GM bought them copies of the players handbook each!) complain about what we all do in downtime, complain about our characters deeds, backgrounds and motives. Complain, complain, complain. Incase it needs said, yes, we have all tried the mature thing and spoke with them repeatedly face to face to try and assure things, but to little avail. It seems they just want to turn up, enjoy the night and leave again. Which is fine, my friends want the exact same thing, but the honest feeling we get is that they start to take offence when we start to perform well. None of us are muchkins or min-maxers, we all enjoy our characters but it's like literal oil and water whenever we're all thrown together and anything other than complete submission on our side results in their whinging. A bothersome state of affairs, but if we split up, the GMs heart will break. But still, on with my question in the next post.
>>
>>51505816

In the game, there's a chance to wrap up the story for some of our characters and build anew, or to continue on with our old characters. It's a good moment for me to retire my wizard, while others seem more likely to continue on with their original folks. Is it wrong of me to ask for the most powerful, one-man army build of a martial class /tg/ can build? I feel like I should just forget constantly walking on ice, IC and out trying to appease people who will never be happy. It's selfish, but I feel that I shouldn't try to support them anymore, just have a being that is a one-man army and blast from battle to battle. I fully intend Ic'ly to help them for the sake of the game, but be nowhere near as slavish as my wizard was oocly pressured to be. At this point I don't know. Just rambling now. I know that me, the GM and my friends can easily entertain each other with what stories a powerful martial warrior could bring. I just don't want to feel/be shackled to the other side anymore.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51505730
You're cobbling together a fun, carefree class and the edgiest class for edgelords. Step back from the brink.
>>
>>51505265
The player can't decide if it's never going to come up. The other characters are either going to ask or assume something.
>>
>>51505917
No you moron I'm making Inigo Montoya
>>
>>51505207
If the world is ending, just putting the Tarrasque back to sleep by "killing" it will be sufficient. The world won't last long enough for it to wake up again, after all. And if there's still a chance to save the world, it might be a good idea to completely ignore the Tarrasque until the world is saved.
>>
>>51505937
He was a fighter. He couldn't cast spells, and he didn't resort to dirty fighting and sneak attacks.
>>
>>51505955
Swashbuckler is basically a rogue archetype that exists for those who wish to avoid dirty fighting, and it's not like I plan to use spells other than hunter's mark and smites
>>
>>51505730
Any sensible DM would allow you to use dexterity instead for the requirement, as paladins are already better with strength than with dexterity, and most paladin multiclasses will be into things that want cha 13 anyway.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJCpZPkul

I put together a homebrew that I'd love some feedback on. This is still a WiP, so I'm open to any changes I'd need to make. The idea came about from the Huxter in Deadlands and stories in general about people playing games with powerful beings. The gist is to give the player a lot of powerful abilities, but the majority of them carry a serious risk or drawback, making them dangerous to use. My main worry is making the abilities are good enough to risk using without being too good. It's a hard balance to find.
>>
>>51505829
PAM+GWM
>>
>>51505829
What level?

Paladin is probably a strong choice.
Otherwise, PAM+GWM fighter with a 1 level dip (starting class) in barbarian if you just want to roll high damages like some beefcake.
>>
>>51506050
Currently 8. Might be a level or two upwards once this story finishes.

Part of me quite like the idea behind the battlemaster fighter, but pounding people up and down the place with that PAM+GWM is appealing too.
>>
>Princes of elemental evil
What is this, a comic book?

Getting prepared to run my first session of 5e, probably going to start with LMoP since I've heard that recommended. Is there any useful information I should know? The game, the module, anything is fine.
>>
how to avoid making a special snowflake character?
>>
>>51506109
You're making an adventurer. They're already special just by merit of having class levels. Anything else is superficial. Just don't annoy other players with it and its fine.
>>
>>51505996

I like it, but Borrow Luck puts a lot of work onto the DM trying to choose when to give disadvantage, and remembering to do it.

It'd be good if there were some way of randomising it.
>>
>>51506119
eh, good point.
>>
>>51506193
I mean obviously don't try and do something so against the grain that it ruins immersion or the setting but its very rarely something you can do accidentally. The sheer fact that you're worried about it means you'll probably be fine.
>>
>>51502324
With one minute of stretches and mental exercises to prepare you for the feat of strength dexterity or constitution, you gain advantage on the check.
>>
>>51506205
true, but i'm also worried about being too stereotypical so i try to make something special, but i don't want to make it cringe-y at the same time
>>
>>51506268
then don't suck
>>
>>51505982
So you should admit to yourself that what you really want is a powerful combination of rules rather than a particular flavor. And if the rules aren't powerful enough for you (in this case, if you can't make the ability score requirements for multiclassing,) tough. You have to optimize the system you have, not the system you want.
>>
>>51506282
Well I want both, theres no point in building a character for just mechanics or flavor. Mixing mechanics and flavor is what makes RPGs fun

But yes, I'm complaining about how the system has rules in place that stop me from building the mechanical character I want. Because heaven forbid players be allowed to make build choices beyond level 3
>>
>>51505265
players are kidnapped. wake up naked to be tortured. find out.
>>
How important is having Shillelagh for a warlock if you strength is already +3? I'm planning on playing a Warlock/Paladin based around a Star and if I go tomelock then I get shillelagh but I miss out on extra attack until I take 5 levels of paladin which would make the game slower.
>>
>>51503149
Dragonborn, previously a big ol' full dragon, committed heinous crimes against a powerful dragon, was stripped of his ancient power and shoved into a smaller form, then exiled to the wastelands of the (wherever they come from). Eking out a meagre living by savagely killing and eating what little wildlife is there, he wallowed in his misery for an age, before (insert your own plothook here) causes him to remember his proud past, take up a weapon and seek to regain his former glory. There.
>>
>>51506268
>>51506109
Start with a stereotype and add a big twist or nuance.

>dwarf that's the basic idea of a dwarf in every way, except driven by a desire to build a metal god
>elf whose arrogance and self-importance is equal to all the others, but in their case it's driven by a desperate self-loathing that'll push them to extremes in the right circumstances
>gnome who wants to reach the stars and be higher than everyone else, forever

Special snowflakes arise when you detach a character from their origins and add in loads of features because you think they'll be cool. Start from a familiar base and add one feature, then adjust everything so it's logical, then add another feature and adjust for that, and so on. As long as you have a solid A -> B of "stereotype" to "what they are now" they won't snowflake.
>>
Recently got the opportunity to play a Treachery paladin.
Problem being is that I am not sure how to build it.

Only thing that's really set in stone is that it's a half-orc, no PAM and the rolled statline turned out to be 15, 16, 16, 14, 14, 11.

Was looking at something like heavy armor mastery and shield master to become an unstoppable force, but it feels weird to hulk on heavy armor on an archetype that is primarily sneaky/avoiding.

He's also the type that believes that the end justifies the means and he'll stop at nothing to get results.

Any ideas?
Thoughts?
Halp, haven't played Paladin in 5e before.
>>
File: abstract kind of hell.jpg (61KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
abstract kind of hell.jpg
61KB, 854x859px
>PC making a human rogue. Noble whose family was killed by rivals. He wants revenge
That's his whole backstory and purpose in life. How do I make it interesting?
>>
>>51506394
It was a ruse set up by his family to see if he really was worthy of inheritance. Unfortunately, it split them right in two. Some love his passion to avenge them, while others are horrified that he turned to such scummy means so quickly, unfitting for a noble. This leads to an extended conflict across the gentry, who have similar divided opinions of one of their own who has devolved into a murderhobo scumbag
>>
>>51506423
Excellent, thank you. I couldn't stop thinking of the generic evil family being protected by their status, which would be boring.
>>
>>51506394
>Rivals are the good guys, the family was secretly planning to betray everybody for their own power
>Setting the rogue on the path for revenge was the rivals' plan all along for some reason
>The rivals didn't do it
>The rivals aren't who they appear to be
>>
>>51506394
His father is secretly a member of a confederation of nobles who have been conspiring to overthrow the empire and bring forth the first human democracy. While he was saved by his buddies and in hiding, the rest of the family were killed by royalists. Neither the pc nor the father know each other are alive, but soon the nobles vs royalists conflict will bring him forth to lead what remains of his house in a bloody civil war.
>>
>>51506069
The most self sufficient is the paladin, with great melee damage high AC fine health divine smite for hitting hard healing and some utility spells to see you through.

The most paladin you could do is Half Elf for 16 Str and Cha at level 1, pump Stength at 4, then you can max strength for damage at 8. If your party keeps going at 12 you will have 18 Charisma and +4 to saves.

Two handed is the most damage, one handed and shield for surviving stuff and better st keeping concentration on spells.
>>
>Would like to DM
>Have zero confidence in my creative capabilities or clues as to where to start
Send help
>>
does Magic Stone work with familiar?

>familiar can deliver touch spells
>Magic stone is a bonus action touch range spell
>familiar now has 3 magic stones
>on its turn can now do 1d6+your spell mod, using your spell casting to hit
>>
>>51506490
Quick think of a plot hook to get adventurers going to the Plane of Fire for a shady deal they don't want to but have to make.
>>
So... there is a newly created evil copy of a player.

That players backstory involves being framed for murder

What's a good way to have the copy do time travel shenanigans? wish spell that changes fate (player did kill his family, wasn't fate)
>>
>>51505930
Yeah, that's my issue. NPCs and PCs are probably gonna say either "him" or "her."
>>
>>51506490
Steal one idea from someone else. Work out logically how that would evolve into a place in an existing setting.
>>
>>51506552
Have the copy be created back in time and do the murders.
>>
Anyone have a download for Tome of Beasts? Can't find a working one for some reason
>>
>>51506604
Check Mega
>>
>>51506490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZvLUXcR8&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

Playlist by the great Matt Colville. I was once like you, but his videos showed me how easy it is.
He has said on many occasions that the best DM he had was not a "creative-type" person. So no worries there.

You can use a pre-made setting, or make your own.

While it is easiest to use a pre-made one, making your own setting is alot of fun.

What I did for my first session was I just made 1 town and 1 dungeon near the town. The Town was alone in the wilderness and acted as a waystation between two kingdoms in a neutral zone, so people had to pass through here to get from one kingdom to the other. So i didn't even draw a map or anything, because there wasn't anything really close enough.
I also used http://donjon.bin.sh/ to do most of the work for me. It can randomly generate things like item shops, inns, npcs, even town descriptions.

I generated town, then I generated a list of 20 random npcs. Then I made 2 inns and 1 armoursmith. Then based on the information in the generated town description, the inns, and the armoursmith I generated more NPCs to fill the gaps. Then i wrote up somekind of adventure hook, i used the one in Matt Colville's videos about having someone in the town having their child kidnapped by Goblins. I asked the player what he wanted to do, eventually he went to one of the inns, i had there be a bit a gossip, then the aforementioned parent burst in. If he was in the poor inn it would be the local butcher's kid. If he was in the rich inn, it would have been a painter/artist's child, but the outcome was the same. Then he went to the dungeon and that was that.
>>
>>51506423
this is great actually
>>
What is your favorite Sorcerer Origin, and why is it Favored Soul?
>>
>>51503545
>Convincing someone to play Oathbreaker in CoS.
>Lawful neutral.
>>
Gonna have venomfang manipulate the party.

Gnome is cursed, he's going to offer to cure it, after the party drives off the Druid... insinuates kill since he is so benevolent and can't do it, then have the players go on a minor quest to retrieve an artifact in a nearby dungeon to cure the curse, the dragon would then take the item and place it on the ground, and breath weapon the party
>>
>>51506956
Favored Soul is the best, but I like Storm because you get to fly 10 feet after casting a spell.
>>
>>51506552
Don't bother with literal time travel. Dragonlance did it and it was the stupidest shit ever.

No, instead realize that history isn't the past, and you don't need to change the past if you can change history, i.e. people's perception of the past. Have the evil duplicate ruin the PC's life by confessing to the murder, then escaping from custody and killing a bunch more people, all while "accidentally" leaving clues to the real PC's current location.
>>
>>51506504
They can't attack (unless your a warlock with Chain Pact) normally. Even with chain pact you have to give up your action so they can attack. Also they can make the stones empowered but can't attack since you need to do a ranged attack to deal damage with the stones (which familiars can't attack at all unless chain warlock).

If anything the best familiar for touch spell delivery is the Owl familiar with it's flyby ability. The owl has a fly of 60ft and with Flyby it doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when moving out of range from the enemy. I'm playing a Great Old One warlock/wild mage sorcerer so delivering touch spells like vampiric grasp, shocking grasp, spare the dying, and soon Polymorph/Bestow Curse. is pretty fun once you know you can do it safely. Shocking Grasp is great against mages, rogues, and imposing fighter/barbarians. Without their reactions they can't oppurtunity attack, use evasion/uncanny dodge, or cast counterspells. Using Subtle spell allows for stealth shocks and quickened spell allows you to shock two people within your Owl's 60ft flyby range without penalty (unless they readied an action).

I have Pact of The Tome so with my extra cantrips plus the Ritual invocation I just use vanilla find familiar for the owl. I'm primarily Mr. Controller-thulu because I use Repelling eldritch blasts and/or Thorn Whip to drag/push enemies into my Evard's Black Tentacles and cluster them together while our red draconic sorcerer drops fireballs or walls of flame around the area. With Quickened Spell it can get really nasty but I've been having fun with it. Especially since I got Create Bonfire so I can just cantrip people into a bonfire trap over and over again when I'm out of juice. Also Mold Earth is good for making traps. Use it to dig a 5ft hole, stake pit it, bury it with spell, and when an enemy is on the square , cast mold earth to unbury the spike pit and impale them. Bonus for burning them in the pit with a bonfire.
>>
>>51505401
I was going to say defensive is the versatile fighting style. How about Mariner style then.
>>
What are your favorite multiclasses that aren't optimized, the ones that are just neat ideas in your head.
>>
>>51506490
Step one: don't think so much, just focus on having fun

There are no other steps
>>
>>51502032
KISS

Have him play a ranger

Refluff his companion as a demon or whatever
>>
>>51503574
>start campaign
>your DM never looks at the list of your NPCs because nobody cares
>>
>>51506956
Shadow :^)
>>
>>51506371
huh, interesting thoughts and additions, Thanks!
>>
>>51507147
I'm enjoying Bladelock Swashbuckler Rogue. Get to escape from jail and go "A-ha!" and pull a rapier out my arse before fencing the guards off.
>>
>>51507147
Combat Master Fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue. I imagine the character as a royal duelist.
>>
>>51506387
Anyone got any input to this?
Kind of lost here.
>>
>>51507126
Your familiar gets its own turn in combat. If you want it to deliver a touch spell it has to stay next to your intended target. Then it uses its reaction when you cast the spell.
>>
>>51503469

Devotion will make life so much easier for you. Guaranteed MVP every session
>>
What would you do to disable this lich for a week/month/year, /tg/?

No one knows where this lich's phylactery is or what it looks like. The lich herself does not even know, and she appears in different places each time she reforms.
>>
>>51507430

Like, you're going vampire hunting, get that good shit that gives you immunity to vampire charms and bonus against Undead
>>
File: 1406486891871.gif (2MB, 360x315px) Image search: [Google]
1406486891871.gif
2MB, 360x315px
>with a group
>am Paladin playing it real close to falling
>dm getting annoyed
>put in a town quest where I end up stuck in dungeon alone
>no way out besides completing task
>realize I will break my oath if I complete the task to escape
>know the DM enough that there is no alternative way out
>say fuck it and kill myself as rather die than break my oath
>DM got angry while most players were surprised

RP wise I feel I did the right thing. Granted the DM disagreed quite hard.
>>
>>51507448

Dimension shackles, into a hallow spell
>>
>>51507476
>RP wise I feel I did the right thing. Granted the DM disagreed quite hard.

This is literally the only thing the DM can be wrong about

Also, fuck DM's who look at paladins as "fall dummies", like it's their defining class features. Fuck you man, I'm the player here, not you.

Of course, you can just roll a new character, as he raises your old char as an evil death knight who does whatever the fuck he wants, but at that point
>>
Since no one around here is playing Dwarf for some reason...

Is it a good idea to play a Dwarf abjuration wizard? Obviously not the 17 STR 8 INT meme one. But something decent like 16 STR 14 INT?
>>
File: 1475174808990.jpg (293KB, 1024x822px) Image search: [Google]
1475174808990.jpg
293KB, 1024x822px
>>51507476
You could always break the oath and atone after that.
>>
>>51507550
Why do you want to buy Strength that high on a wizard?

Dwarf is a decent choice because of the armor or the HP.
>>
>>51507480
How do you get the lich inside the area of Hallow when Hallow does not allow undead to enter?
>>
>>51507147
Alchemist Artificier/Artificier Wizard because fuck
>>
>>51502217
Enough to make it unobtainium
>>
>>51507563
I guess I kinda forgot that dwarf doesn't need STR to wear heavy armor.
>>
>>51507476
Good on ya. Oaths are meant to be worth dying over. It's literally what powers a Paladin.
>>
>>51503416
Yeah just take a Druid, you can Wild shape to avoid Sunlight Sensitivity. I planned on making a Kobold Druid at one point for the same reason.
>>
>>51507589

teleport them inside a cube of Force
>>
>>51507670
>you can Wild shape to avoid Sunlight Sensitivity.
Does it actually work like that?
>>
>>51507695
Depend on whether "Sunlight Sensitivity" count as "special sense".

Keep in mind that Wild Shape character keep anything that isn't "special sense". A Dragonborn Druid get to keep their breath weapon, Aasima Druid get to keep their Radiant Soul and so on.
>>
>>51507695
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/20/would-a-wildshaped-druid-still-suffer-from-sunlight-sensitivity/

no, but it's non-sensical
>>
>>51507476
>Actually getting angry that a Paladin took an Oath serious

It is one thing to try and push the Oath to the limit without falling, but another to get angry that a Paladin chose death rather than break his whole fucking reason to be a Paladin.
>>
What relationships do warlocks have with other spellcasters in your setting?
>>
>>51507448
>>51507480
>>51507679
Any ideas for this lich that don't require magic items the group doesn't have?
>>
>>51507476
did the right thing.

>>51507558
Treating one's moral purity as a resource to be spent is exactly the wrong way to think about it. Atonement doesn't erase the sin; it's merely permission to carry on and serve in spite of the sin, which will last forever as part of the cosmic balance of good and evil.

Also, this is the reason why a paladin can't atone for deliberate acts of evil in D&D, only for involuntary ones (including situations where every possible choice had evil consequences.)
>>
Anons? I could really use a hand.

As an aspiring homebrewer, one of the races on my radar recently was the Saurian Shifter. Introduced in Dragon Magazine #328, these were basically watered-down were-dinosaurs. Now, call me immature if you must, but I think that this is actually a pretty awesome idea, especially after reading about the Ka-Tainted (sorcerously created dino-men) of Mystara's Hollow World in Dragon Magazine #315. Now, here's the thing... back in 3.5, Saurian Shifters could pick two "Shifting Aspects" and put them together in order to make their Shifter. In 5e, the vanilla Shifter only gets 1 "Shifter Aspect" at all, treating them as subraces.

Thing is, the Eberron Update races are... well, frankly rather bland and underpowered. The 3.5 Saurian Shifter traits have some ideas, but are mostly retreads of the Shifter. Heck, even the Ka-Tainted at least had some variable abilities depending on whether you used a Pleisiosaur, Tyrannosaur, Raptor or Triceratops in the ritual.

So, I'm really torn between which way to do things. Just straight up adapt the 3.5 version the same way that the Eberron Update did? Or get more creative?

Ultimately, I decided to give both versions a shot and see what people thought was the better version. So... yeah, feedback, please? I desperately need a hand.

Due to sheer size, follow the link below - this'd never be postable here on /tg/.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>51507832

Well, what are we working with here?
>>
>>51507476
>complete the task
>DM *ear to ear grin* "You fall"
>no, that's not a real thing anymore
>also there was no way out so I don't even need to repent, I feel guilty but not oathbreaky
>carry on paladining
>>
>>51507876
The group has a thief rogue, tempest cleric, and evoker wizard. Level 16. Sometimes there's a GOO warlock.
>>
File: Breaking the oath.png (421KB, 472x386px) Image search: [Google]
Breaking the oath.png
421KB, 472x386px
>>51507838
3.5 called, it wanted it's retarded mechanics back.

Your next line "This is stupid, I've homeruled it at my table".
>>
>>51507914
Wow, that really is stupid. Can't they see the problem with that? It's way too easy to game that system.

Anyway, real religions tend to hold that sinning with the expectation of being forgiven for it afterward gets in the way of the genuine repentance required to be forgiven. No reason D&D religions wouldn't be the same.
>>
>>51507969
No, suiciding because you had to compromise your principles a little is stupid.
>>
>>51507987
People who live by codes are stupid :^)
>>
>>51507987
No, what's stupid is believing that no principle is worth sacrificing your life for while allegedly playing a character whose power comes from the strength of his principles. You can't have it both ways, idiot. If nothing's more precious to you than your own wretched life, go be a fighter, or better yet, stay home and don't go adventuring.
>>
>>51507969
Paladins aren't tied to religion.
Paladins get their power from wanting to habeeb it
>>
>>51508010
The problem here is the suggestion that a situation could arise where the only way to keep an oath is to suicide

If the only way to keep an oath is to die in service, usually in combat, that's fine, it's a great way for a paladin to go out. But if it's possible to arrive at the point where the only way to keep an oath is to purposefully end your own life with no greater goal accomplished by the sacrifice beyond your oath being kept, then your oath was fucking stupid
>>
>>51507969
>It's way too easy to game that system.

Please let me know when fighters lose the ability to fight if they can't fight hard enough, or when druids lose their shapeshifting if they don't defend nature
>>
File: 1485082908761.jpg (247KB, 835x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485082908761.jpg
247KB, 835x1080px
>>51508010
Oath of Devotion:
> Hm, if I don't tell a lie, innocents will suffer. What to do, what to do... Better kill myself!
Oath of Ancients:
> I have to spare this villain begging for mercy, but I know that he'll just continue doing evil things, because that's exactly what he did six times before. Hm... I know, better kill myself!
Oath of Vengeance:
> Wo-o-oh, thank God my oath was written specifically for games like this one. Really dodged a bullet here.

It's specifically for the retards like you WotC included those little escape clauses into oaths, such as "Never fear to act, though caution is wise". Which translates to "No, you don't have to suicide charge Orcus, if you know you can't scratch him".
>>
>>51507904

That's pretty high level, you got nothing but options here.

For example, Wizard should be able to cast Sequester since level 13, the cleric can lay forbiddance on a spot every day until Divine Intervention works and makes it permanent, then you can hallow around it, then you can use wall of stone to slowly build a castle that you can enchant by laying a few Guards and Wards.

You can also just start printing glyphs of warding all over the place as well
>>
>>51508088
>> Hm, if I don't tell a lie

You can lie though. Thats not what Devotion is about

>I have to spare this villain begging for mercy,

Well yes. You have to do it. You may even be obliged to argue in his defense

It's a team game though, and nothing bars you to surrender him to proper justice
>>
>>51508088
OotA is more like "spread joy, don't let anyone fuck with nature."
It's probably the most lenient oath besides Treachery and Vengeance.
>>
>>51507987
Die with what you believe in.
>>
>>51508054
A paladin with no religion still needs to receive atonement from *someone.* And in a setting where good and evil are real, observable forces in the cosmos, it's reasonable to assume that atonement only works if you genuinely repent. A paladin who breaks his oath in bad faith with the expectation that "I'll just atone for it and I'll be fine" cannot benefit from an atonement, even if he can find a cleric or another paladin willing to perform the ceremony. He has to actually regret ever having done the evil act that made him fall, regret the attitude that led him to think he could cast aside his principles and pick them up again when it's more convenient, and perform some kind of act of penance that outweighs any benefit gained by the evil act. Only then might he be forgiven.
>>
>>51508105
All those things hide the party from the lich or protect them from it. What would keep the lich from being able to act against anyone?
>>
File: 856825dd3e7448fc8fe9ac385e0c1ae1.jpg (262KB, 636x1000px) Image search: [Google]
856825dd3e7448fc8fe9ac385e0c1ae1.jpg
262KB, 636x1000px
>>51508150
>>51508150
>You can lie though. Thats not what Devotion is about
You think so? Let's look into what the oath of devotion actually says.
> Don't lie or cheat.
...oh. You know, anon, it's almost like you're a drooling retard, who didn't actually read the paladin class, so you're pulling shit out of your ass.

But we already know it from the fact that you didn't even know how paladins fall in 5e, don't we?
>>
>>51508177

Maybe I misspoke

You cast Sequester on the lich

Then you cast Hallow on the forbiddance

Then you cast Wall of Stone around the Hallow

Then you cast Guards and Wards around the Walls of Stone

Then you cast glyps of warding all over the place

Then you cast Contingencies in case the Glyphs start going haywire

Then you cast Word of Recall in case you need to step the fuck back

Then you go around the world, gain one more level and the ability to cast level 9 spells, and cast Imprisonment on the Lich
>>
>>51508217
That sequence seems to fall apart with Sequester requiring a willing target.
>>
>>51508065
If you think that your oath is stupid, you shouldn't have sworn it.

>>51508084
It's pretty fair to say that druids who don't try to defend nature will stop receiving magic from nature. As for fighters, they aren't restricted by principles, which means that they're probably a better fit for you than paladins.

>>51508088
I don't know why people always assume that vengeance paladins have no code of conduct. It's written right there. They have one; it's just different. They're just as much in danger of falling for compromising their principles as devotion paladins. If a vengeance paladin fails to prioritize his sworn enemies over pointless sidequests, shows his sworn enemies mercy for any reason, or fails to make full restitution to their victims, he must fall.
>>
>>51508176
>A paladin with no religion still needs to receive atonement from *someone.*
Not according to >>51507914. Its common, but not required. And the rest might be the way you do things at your table, but those requirements aren't in the rules.
>>
>>51508242
ok
>>
>>51508245
According to those rules, real repentance is still required even if there's no ceremony called for by your particular order of paladins. Empty ceremonies or hypocritical professions of contrition will not help you.
>>
>>51508242
>3.PF fag that never even read the PHB hopelessly arguing against 5e RAW that everyone with a brain thinks is better anyways
>>
>>51508242
Just stop. You've already been BTFO, you don't have to lose your dignity as well.
>>
>>51508192

You seem upset about something. Can I recommend you a lovely cup of tea?

>> Don't lie or cheat.

A specific that gets trumped by a general. You're not supposed to lie or cheat, but if you're devoted to a god of trickery, say, a Paladin of Garl Glittergold, you have to actually put some thought into it, and think what "lying or cheating" qualifies as to a god of both these things.

Probably means "lie or cheat" to someone who didn't deserve it, or maybe a lie to a god of lies, is not about speaking falsehoods, but dishonesties, or perhaps even, "lie and cheat" is a way of getting all the benefits of your sweet devotion oath, without having to do any of the dirty things your precious personal moral high ground gives you a distaste of doing, like the ocasional white lie, or robber baron cheat.

You know, compelling story telling. Remember what that is?
>>
>>51508268
If the character honestly regrets the actions he took or was forced to take, he can repent with a brief fast or vigil.

The person who decides if the character honestly feels guilty is the player.
>>
>>51508236

I don't know, get the warlock to suggest his ass.
>>
>>51508294
What the fuck are you talking about? How do you get that from:
>Honesty. Don't lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise.
You're delusional.
>>
File: Dawn of just.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dawn of just.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>51508294
> but if you're devoted to a god of trickery, say, a Paladin of Garl Glittergold, you have to actually put some thought into it, and think what "lying or cheating" qualifies as to a god of both these things.
It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. He just carries on.
>>
>>51508303
Liches are charm-immune.
>>
File: 1481021147883.png (305KB, 711x1092px) Image search: [Google]
1481021147883.png
305KB, 711x1092px
>>51501611
Any actual rules for guns and rifles in D&D? I wanna make a Rogue or Warlock with a flintlock or wheel-lock pistol or a Ranger with a Jezzail
>>
>>51508347
Yes, both in the DMG and in a recent UA, but for the record you are the worst.
>>
> Re: this whole lich situation
With "phylactery she doesn't even know about" that can't be detected, there are two possibilites that I see.
> It's a DMPC/self-insert/villain sue,
Fighting this lich at all is a stupid idea. You won't win. Female lich is a red flag to me.
> It's a villain with a weakness, whom it's possible to defeat.
In that case, I advise your cleric to use his divination magic and ask his god for tips. Maybe a vision of some kind that will hint you at where the phylactery is hidden or what it's like. Could it be something floating through Shadowfel, constantly on the move and invisible on the material plane? Try to research the lich's past, is there a pattern to places she keeps reappearing at?
>>
>>51508294
If Garl Glittergold approves of lying and cheating, he will never ordain a Devotion paladin. He'd have his followers be other kinds of paladins, or no paladins at all.
>>
File: 1460820751632.jpg (34KB, 461x439px) Image search: [Google]
1460820751632.jpg
34KB, 461x439px
>>51508347
Urge to kill rising.
>>
>>51508294
It's the spirit of the oath that matters, not the letter.

There, I just summed up what you were trying to say in one sentence, and I didn't make myself look like an idiot in the process like you did
>>
How do you guys feel about dual wielding hand crossbows? Is it possible or not?
>>
>>51508347
Just refluff a hand crossbow as a pistol.

There are official rules for guns, but why bother when refluffing works so well?
>>
>>51508397
>>51508374
I'm not sure why I'm being awful. Are guns broken?
>>
>>51508410
Impossible RAW, since Crossbow Expert removes "loading" property from hand crossbows, but not "ammunition". However, I would allow it because Rule of Cool.
>>
>>51508316

>Promise to serve a god
>God puts him in a position to lie
>DOES NOT COMPUTE, KILL SELF

Yup, seem like an entirely logical thought process you got going on there.

Laws of chivalry faggot, your greater oath trumps your smaller ones. If they come into conflict, it is your burden to find how to either break or reconcile the latter with the former, not the other way around
>>
>>51508431
No, you're awful because you want to insert firearms into a fantasy setting, and "warlock with a pistol" is THE annoying cliche.
>>
>>51508331

Well man, it's kind of your party's fault for not playing a bard.

Tell the lich "miss, I'm sorry for putting you in this position, but we really don't have a choice. You either get in the sequester or else I'm afraid we're going to have to plane shift you to bytopia where your alignment will be forcefully turned into Good"
>>
>>51508456
>insert firearms into a fantasy setting
>>
>>51505265
>Entire party usually makes male characters
>Everyone decides to roll female characters this go around
>NPCs call them guys because I'm used to referring to them as males
>Flub it so that the NPCs who call them dudes literally can't tell because they're Dragonborn and other monsters
>>
>>51501611
Is there anything in 5e like intelligent or cursed items?
I want one of the "rewards" i give my party at the end of my next session to be a glove/gauntlet that seemingly allows for a low level magic ability, but can't be taken off once put on, and is actually a way for an elder God to influence the wearers mind.
(This is the plot hook in the next session or a few sessions later)
>>
>>51508491
Yes, it's in DMG. Not sure how you missed it. You did read the DMG, did you, anon?
>>
>>51508389
The group made it to level 16 from level 3. If the DM just wanted to power trip, that's a long time to set it up.

The divine answers the group got were:
>The lich doesn't know where her own phylactery is
>She was converted as a child; her mother set up the ritual with the help of an unseelie archfey
>The gods cannot see the phylactery either

Finding the archfey revealed:
>The archfey is bound by the deal it made not to directly reveal information about the lich.

Later research indicated the name of the lich's mother. The archfey was willing to talk about the mother. What the group knows about the mother:
>The mother exchanged her family's magical lineage for the daughter's protection. The archfey twisted the deal into making her a lich to live up to the letter of the bargain.
>The archfey seems to want the lich dealt with but cannot breach her bargain, as it's not in a fey's nature to break a bargain.
>The magical lineage promised to the archfey cannot properly pass on while the lich is around. The mother and the archfey actually fooled each other, but the mother did not breach the bargain either due to the wording.

It seems like it's a puzzle to figure out how to beat a lich without the usual "destroy the phylactery" tactic.
>>
>>51508486
He never mentioned setting, and besides i will remind you Faerun (the default setting) has guns, although they are very rare, bordering on non-existent.
>>
>>51508433

Isn't it possible to get around the ammunition rule with a magazine on the hand crossbow? That's basically the only way to explain why they are the most expensive weapon anyway.
>>
>>51507168
>>51506524
>>51506564
I just CAN'T fucking come up with anything.
>>51506663
I'll give this a look as soon as I can, thanks!
>>
>>51508440
I'm not the one who killed myself when something didn't compute buddy. You were the one defending that guy.
I guess I just figured you shouldn't be able to break your oath literally whenever it's convenient, which is what you believe.
>>
>>51508541
The hardest part of writing is just doing it

Your brain has ideas, it's just difficult to put them to paper for whatever reason

It doesn't matter and you can always improve it later so just start writing because you have to commit to SOMETHING before you can work from there
>>
File: dwarf-little-man-4152632.jpg (65KB, 1300x960px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf-little-man-4152632.jpg
65KB, 1300x960px
>>51508519
Well I know cursed items are a thing, but I guess Im looking for a specific item that whispers to the character in question or behaves like I described. So I completely asked the wrong thing and am probably retarded.
>>
>>51508541
Type out all your ideas. You can copy and paste together the good ones. Just write them all done and you'll get inspiration to fit some of them together. You'll likely have extras you can use for sidequests or future campaigns. You don't have to write only good ideas. You write them all and decide what's good later.
>>
>>51508536
Hah! How do you think crossbows work? Even with a "magazine" you still have to draw back the string. You need a hand for that chief.
>>
File: Read Nigga Read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Read Nigga Read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>51508562
>Well I know cursed items are a thing, but I guess Im looking for a specific item that whispers to the character in question or behaves like I described.

Read the fucking DMG?
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (92KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
92KB, 900x900px
>>51508536
>a magazine on the hand crossbow

You know how I can tell you're a millennial?
>>
PAL-uh-din
pa-LAD-in
puhl-AD-DEEN
>>
>>51508606
Paula Deen?
>>
>>51508606
Paula Deen
>>
>>51508604
3.5 did have crossbows with magazines. Everyone used them.
>>
>>51508606
The first one.
>>
File: 1477971738010.jpg (19KB, 239x132px) Image search: [Google]
1477971738010.jpg
19KB, 239x132px
>>51508456
>GUNS RUIN FANTASY SETTINGS

here we fucking go again
>>
>>51508624
Those things were useless what are you talking about?
>>
>>51508581

A quick youtube search pulls up a ton of pump action crossbows with magazines that people made in their garage out of scrap wood.

A pair of those can be pumped against each other or something else, only needing one hand.
>>
>>51508624
>3.5 did have crossbows with magazines.
True
>Everyone used them.
Ranged weaponry sucked balls in 3.5.
>>
File: Chemist1.jpg (107KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
Chemist1.jpg
107KB, 450x600px
>>51508606
The first one.
>>51508577
>>51508560
A huge concern of mine is that I just don't consider any ideas I do have "good" or anywhere near unique.
>>
>>51508635
Guns don't ruin fantasy settings

Edgy gunslinger characters in otherwise gunless fantasy settings ruin fantasy settings
>>
>>51508456
Really? Huh, I was thinking warlock with a holdout pistol, not "anime-style enchanted boollets", same with the Rogue as a highwayman-style sword n' pistol guy.
>>
>>51508653
Nobody cares, all ideas are horseshit, pick at random or flip a coin it literally doesn't matter.

The idea that exists on paper is worth far more than the idea that exists only in your head regardless of respective quality.

- T.aquinus
>>
>>51508585
I read that section on my lunch break and I didn't see any that fit the description, though I must have missed them. I remember something like that being in the splatbooks from 3.5, so I was just crowdsourcing a bit of research.

Your picture did make me kek though.
>>
>>51508527
Doesn't Gond explicitly prevent the spread of knowledge of gunpowder as a sort of gentlemen's agreement with the other gods?
>>
>>51508640
Let me know when you find one that you can perform entirely with one hand.

Why are you even trying to in the first place? Why not just use 1 crossbow the entire time? You do realize you can use the same crossbow for your attack actions as you would with a bonus action right? Do you have to be so edgey that you have to invent new technology to because the current technology isn't as broody as you were hoping?
>>
>>51508695
Not the last I checked, but I could be wrong, doesn't really matter though, guns do exist in the setting.
>>
>>51508520

Usual faerie law allows you to buy debt. Give the archfey something worth a familie bloodlone and itll give to you its onerous of guarding the phylactery

But since you're not an archfey, you can just break the amulet, and restore the lichs bloodline.
>>
>>51508656
What annoys me is how edgelords want to skip a bunch of steps in the natural development of firearms and explosives. You don't go straight from nothing to a kid in a duster dual wielding revolvers. There are centuries of development in between, from primitive bombs and cannons to handheld matchlock weapons that take forever to load and misfire a lot to something more like the guns we know today.
>>
>>51508606
buh-BAR-in
bear-d
claw-rick
droo-EE-d
fight-ier
mank
puh-aladdin
rang-er (hard G)
rouge
sork-ser-err
w-air-loak
wise-zard
>>
>>51508653

Unique is overrated. The best dd adventure out there is Curse of Strahd, and that shits an adaptation
>>
>>51508653
You don't need unique. Providing a campaign for someone to play in is usually enough for a player to have fun.

The DM's fun is getting to play lots of different NPC perspectives PCs don't usually get to. It can also be fun coming up with all the twists and turns of plot
>>
>>51506387
Treachery is more cheating then being sneaky. I'd suggest martial adept to help you fight dirty.
>>
>>51508752
There's multiple solutions to the problem, but each solution has problems of their own

1. The character with a gun is a divinely-inspired genius who skipped centuries of slow development, a-la Leonard of Quirm and his Gonne. But you really should be an artificer, not a fighter or rogue.
2. Bombs and cannons and matchlocks already exist in the setting. Only works if your DM was already planning on guns
3. Said character is from fantasy-China where their gunpowder tech is beyond fantasy-Europe's. But now you have to play a character who has no baseline knowledge about the society he's in
>>
>>51508431
3edgey5me

>>51508456
sums it up nicely.

I mean, i get it, Gunslingers are cool, but what is the reason for wanting a gun?

Usually it boils down to
>I want to be cool
or
>I want something special no one else has
or
>Guns are more powerful than medieval weaponry, i want to stomp face

The first 2 are valid imo. This is an rpg and is meant to be a personal fantasy for you to step into, even moreso than a videogame because you get to pretend to act as another person.

If the 3rd is your reason, well you already know the problem now.

I think a gun is a bad choice for those desires though I am biased. I dislike guns. I don't think they are cool.

People don't like it when something goes against the setting. I think thats stupid. Alot of DM's get upset when people go against their setting. I always try to make things fit for my players. But they gotta meet me halfway. You can be the exception to the rule, but you have to do the legwork to get there.

Though the setting for my world is basically Flash Gordon, so anything goes. I have a Dragonborn Queen with a robotic arm who has a secret room with a fallen celestial in it and if the players earn her trust she's going to have the fallen celestial offer them the opportunity to become Power Rangers.
So I don't really have to do alot of work to make it fit.
>Player
I want a gun
>Me
Okay...uhhh...you gotta be from the Mecha-Planet though.
>>
>>51508682
Yes, there are plenty of intelligent weapons. Some explicitly talk to their wielder. Others just impart feels or disadvantage them for not doing what they want.
>>
>>51501657
Just lessen their move speed by five feet every couple of in-game hours.
>>
>>51508653
Just go with your gut, do that you think is cool, be genuine to yourself.
You as a person will come through in your setting and while that might not make it unique, it will make it interesting.
>>
>>51508752
But I like crappy, muzzle-loading, black powder guns that have a 1 in 5 chance to fail ;_;
>>
>>51508845
I would disagree, guns may not be as cool as, say, a greatsword or just punching everything. But they're definitely cooler than hand crossbows
>>
File: okpleb.png (389KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
okpleb.png
389KB, 431x450px
>>51508624
>hand crossbow
>magazine

You know how I can tell you're a millennial?
>>
>>51508876
The roar of the load of blackpowder going off and the heavy flash of smoke and flame as the round pellet is propelled forth. All aspects of how inefficient, inaccurate and dangerous to the user these weapons were, but god they're thematic as hell for 1600's stuff
>>
>>51508656
Alright, fair enough.

>>51508695
Nah, he prevented the spread of Gunpowder because during the Time of Troubles a nation let him chill on their island so that nobody would try to kill him. He gave the secret to them and only them.

The way I'm working it considering the new Artificier class is that a bunch of people are figuring out how to learn how to make them at once as a ploy by Mask to try and arm mortals against Cyric and Gond is expending shit tons of effort trying to contain it.
>>
File: Stranger.jpg (765KB, 1831x818px) Image search: [Google]
Stranger.jpg
765KB, 1831x818px
>>51508879
Depends on the hand crossbow I guess.
>>
>>51508856
I can make that work. I think I'm basically going to make it a dragon gauntlet that can't be removed, then I'll have it start to show intelligence.
>>
>>51508889
Tell me.
>>
>>51505265
Clearly its a golem
>>
>>51508978
Actually, would it be overpowered to have it so the glove can cast one low level spell once per day? Like, earth tremor once per day? or should it just be a cantrip
>>
>>51509149
it doesnt matter if it is too powerful, just throw 1 extra goblin at the party every combat. It balances out.
>>
>>51509162
Fair point, thanks.

That's exactly what I'll do, every encounter has an extra goblin.
You encounter wolves! (And a goblin)
You will now fight the kings guard! (And an inexplicable goblin)
They'll fight my campaign settings end boss, an elder god (and one goblin)
>>
>>51509222
>the party are NPCs in a Dark Souls campaign
>the goblin is the chosen one
>the party doesn't know this
>>
I'm running Storm King's Thunder and I'm struggling with providing my players with good motivation to actually take part in the adventure.

They're in Bryn Shander and we're about to do the Giant attack. I don't know how I'm supposed to motivate my players to do any of the further quests. Like just having an authority figure go "hey, go check out the rest of Icewind Dale and see how the other towns are" seems like me as the DM saying "hey, go here because I have plot."
>>
>>51509222
>>51509288
>As the goblin fights, it gains levels according to how much total experience the party has divided by half
>By the time they fight the elder god, it's a level 15 character
>>
So one of my players asked about if they could get ahold of a Greatbow, and I told them maybe.

Now I'm left wondering how to design a greatbow for 5th edition. So far this is what I'm thinking:

Greatbow, cost - 65g

Damage - 1d12 piercing

Weight - 10 lbs.

Properties - Ammunition (range 200/800), Heavy, Two-Handed, Special

Special: When performing an attack with this weapon, you use your STR modifier instead of your DEX modifier, as it requires intense upper body strength to properly aim and fire from this weapon. In addition, attacks made with this weapon while on a mount are at disadvantage, as the unstable gait of the creature throws you off balance to properly aim the arrow.
>>
Just started a new campaign as a DM.

Players made characters

>Forest Gnome who is basically just a kid who wants to make friends with everything.
Okay cool, super easy to work with

>Warforged who awoke on an ancient battlefield after being inactive for ages.
Apparently this is what Bastion is like from Overwatch? I have no idea. Warforged are cool, thumbs up.

>Human Monk whose monastery was destroyed and he was captured to teach his ways to some soldiers of another kingdom. The leader of said army blinded him with snake venom. When the soldiers were trained the leader of the army released the monk for his services. Refers to said leader as a great man he came to respect.
I had a hard time explaining to him what his capabilities are at level 1.
But i okay'd the backstory anyways.
He'll come to find that the soldiers he trained are incompetent and the "great man" who led them is basically a halfwit.
The player in question is also on a quest to assassinate the fiance of the Queen of the kingdom they are in. So we'll see how that goes, considering the man in question is a King of Bandits and is essentially Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time + The Mua'dib from Dune, he probably won't succeed.
>>
>>51509463
What's the party?
>>
>>51505997
>>51506050
>>51506469
Thanks for all this. I'm strongly tempted by a battlemaster fighter. Paladin might work too.
>>
>>51509557
>I had a hard time explaining to him what his capabilities are at level 1.

I allow for the idea of regression based on age/injury/etc. so a level 1 character could have that kind of past experience.
>>
>>51509647
Warlock (hasn't really done anything with his patron Mephistopheles), Paladin of Tyr, Dragonborn Cleric (the Dragonborn part seems to matter more than the cleric part), and an elf ranger who looks down on non-elves.
>>
>>51509722
I always just do Rumors and Gossip in the Tavern/Inn

>There is a cult to Baalzebul in one of the towns
>The cultists are breaking laws and are using local bandits as muscle
>They are not dragonborn or elves, but are specifically capturing those 2 races as sacrifices.

I would say have something happen to the warlock when someone says Baalzebul, like he hears a voice in his head of Mephistopheles to kill said cultists.

Though I don't normally do that kind of thing. I just have a setting with a series of events taking place in it and the players can go about w/e business they want. They can save the kingdom from war, or they can just open a tavern. I prefer it when my players impose themselves on the world instead of the world being made for them.

>There's some bounties to kill X thing in Y Location
>I heard there was an ancient hoard of treasure buried under the old castle to the west
> there's a demon in another Town who is turning all the men in X city into women and turning all the women into his concubines
>I heard that the hero of our land fell to the forces of evil in X town.

Basically
>Weird shit you gotta see
>Money
motivate players.
>>
>>51509082
In this case, clip would be the appropriate word
>>
>>51508716
I am going to design a magazine fed one handed pump crossbow when I get home from work just for you, you smarmy cunt.
>>
File: Reloading[1].gif (1MB, 415x208px) Image search: [Google]
Reloading[1].gif
1MB, 415x208px
>>51510007
>tfw badass half orc with a lever action crossbow

FUND IT
>>
>>51509557
>Human Monk whose monastery was destroyed and he was captured to teach his ways to some soldiers of another kingdom. The leader of said army blinded him with snake venom. When the soldiers were trained the leader of the army released the monk for his services. Refers to said leader as a great man he came to respect.
Oh. That is LITERALLY One Hundred Eyes from netflix series Marco Polo.
>>
>>51510224
...the player called his character Thousand Eyes. And he's currently disguised as a refugee named Marco.

Thank you for pointing that out. He always, ALWAYS, just rips something straight from some media. One of the other players said "i know thats from something" when the player of the monk described his backstory.

Should i point out that I know this? or should i work it into the story somehow? Like...read a synopsis online and subvert the story somehow?
>>
>>51510311
Whatever, man, as long as he's not disruptive it's fine
>>
>>51510311
Honestly if I were you I wouldn't mind it much. Us DMs constantly rip stuff from everywhere, too. If you wanna be cool, consider using your second idea and working something related into your plot. The show is actually pretty good and worth the watch, if you have time.
>>
>>51510105
>Schwarzenegger nearly broke his hand doing that trick
>>
>>51510388
How?
>>
>>51510450
Accidentally tried it with a real shotgun instead of the prop shotgun (lighter, longer lever, bigger loop)

The intent was to show that the Terminator has super-human strength because no normal human can reasonably perform that feat.
>>
>>51510504
I guess I just don't know how heavy a shotgun is.
>>
>>51502220
Combats start and end within a 30 second window.

There is no way for rising and flowing water to effect that unless it is literally a situation of huge surging waves filling the room near-deathtrap style, unless you build an area you specifically expect the party to fight a couple waves of combats in.

Have it as..

Water level remains still for 2 rounds.
Water level raises 5ft a round for 4 rounds.
Water level remain still for 2 rounds.
Water level recedes 5ft a round for 4 rounds.

Even then it's a 20ft rise and fall which takes just over a miniute to cycle. Unless there are particularly grueling long encounters or multiple in a row, you won't see more than one cycle, but it could work.

Perhaps in a Defend the NPC Priestess Druid while she channels here moon-ritual in the temple of the tides, while merfolk/sahaugin/merrow/badfishpeople and their aquatic minions attack. Druid can offer the party buffs, heals and support akin to lair actions while massive numbers of foes attack. Water levels can open or deny access to areas, as well as be populated with critters such as sharks which can add danger to the area. Creatures like Octopus or Gaint crabs can forcibly grab people and pull them into the water.

Add some objectives for the party, like adjusting the silver mirrors near some high up gantry area to shine moonlight onto the shrine. The rope bridge they need to take is cut and destroyed by the merfolk smugly to prevent access, so a player might need to wait for the water level to rise high enough that they can grab the now hanging bridge and climb.

Characters with good athletics or acrobatics will shine, feel free to add effects such as "The temple is concecrated against teleportation magic." to prevent some casters no-selling the obstacle with misty step, or even just enemy casters willing to ready counterspell or dispell effects such as levitate or fly, dropping players into the water or if they are unlucky, onto solid ground.
>>
>>51502409
>>51502819
What kind of level or CR are we talking senpai, I love stuff like this so what am I working with.
>>
>>51503136
One player at our group was obsessed with making a WoW esque deathknight, so the DM let him make this cantrip.

Grasp of Shadows.
Necromancy Cantrip.
Casting Time: 1 action.
Range: 30ft.
Components: V, S, M.
Duration: Instantaneous.

Necromantic smoke lunges at your foe, dragging them ever closer to you. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage and is pulled up to 10ft towards you.

The spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8) and 17th level (4d8).

Tl:Dr It's necromancy thorn-whip.
>>
>>51501818
Pact of the Seeker warlock.

Bonus points if you use their ability to cast 2 self-targeting actions at once to self-buff yourself and claim it's your meguka garment girl power up.
>>
>>51510524
A single barrel isn't bad. A couple pounds, 8-12 maybe, plus ammunition.

The real issue is that the lever on a lever action is usually just long enough to fit your hand in, so when you try to spin a shotgun around the weight of the weapon has a fuckton of leverage on your hand. Our wrists can take a lot of compressive force but shockingly little torque, which is why a wristlock is both effective and painful. Hence even a guy like Arne in his prime can't flip-load a lever action shotgun without hurting himself.
Looks fucking badass with the prop-gun though.
>>
Apparently there is a new thread.

>>51509123
>>
>>51510537
Not that anon, but that sounds really good. Would you mind helping me with a puzzle fight I'm trying to craft?

Players are level 8 (champion fighter, diviner wizard, moon druid, deep stalker ranger and devotion paladin) and have a decent number of powerful magic items, going to fight a Mummy Lord and a few mummies in its lair. Difference here is this Mummy Lord is neutral rather than evil, and he used to be an archmage very interested in divination.

Before dying, the archmage foresaw a great catastrophe befalling the world, but also that the group of heroes who could prevent it would come to his tomb, so he wants to test the party's strength and cunning before offering his help. To that end, he won't actively try to kill them, but if they die they weren't going to be those heroes anyway.

I'm having trouble with the puzzle side, though. The center of the lair is a wide pyramid-shaped chamber with a mini labyrinth of walls of stone, and I want it to have something on each corner connected to something at the top of the room that they have to disable or something like that. Any suggestions?
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.